时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Boston Legal | |
[00:03] | Pull the rabbit out of your hat. | 帽子里跳出一只兔子(出其不意攻其不备) |
[00:06] | That’s the secret of both trial law and life. | 这就是生活和庭审的共同秘诀 |
[00:10] | – Rabbits… – Yeah. | – 兔子… – 是 |
[00:13] | Christine Polley… | Christine Polley啊… |
[00:14] | Ex-girlfriend tried to kill me. | 前女友要杀我 |
[00:16] | She tried to kill you. | 她要杀你 |
[00:17] | – She did. – And now she wants out. | – 是的 – 她现在要约你出去 |
[00:19] | – She does. – Alan. | – 是的 – Alan |
[00:20] | – She’s stalking you. – She tried to kill you, | – 她在跟踪你 – 她想杀你 |
[00:23] | she was institutionalized,now she’s out, | 她本来在精神病院 现在出来了 |
[00:24] | and she’s stalking you. | 她在跟踪你 |
[00:26] | Freedom is a privilege, Mr. Shore, not a right. | 自由是优先权 Shore先生 不是权利 |
[00:28] | – A privilege. – Yes, and it’s revocable, | – 优先权 – 是的 可取消的 |
[00:30] | especially if you try to run someone over with an automobile. | 特别是你想开车撞某人的时候 |
[00:33] | I got my old job back. | 我重操旧业了 |
[00:35] | It’s truly fantastic news, isn’t it? Alan? | 很好的消息 是吧? Alan? |
[00:39] | Yes. | 是的 |
[00:52] | Why aren’t you helping me? | 你为什么不帮我? |
[00:54] | Sally, I have a trial of my own | Sally 从明天开始 我要上庭 |
[00:55] | beginning tomorrow, a rather big one. | 是个大案子 |
[00:57] | But this is my very first trial. | 但是这是我第一次上庭 |
[01:00] | You’ve certainly been to court before, I have no doubt. | 我相信你以前一定上过庭的 |
[01:02] | Motion practice. This is with a jury. | 以前只是做申请 这次有陪审团 |
[01:05] | I don’t, I don’t think I’m ready. | 我不觉得 我不觉得自己准备好了 |
[01:16] | Sally… | Sally啊… |
[01:19] | look at me. | 看着我 |
[01:25] | You trust me? | 你相信我吗? |
[01:27] | I do. | 相信 |
[01:28] | And because you trust me, you’ll believe what I’m about to tell you. | 因为你相信我 就该相信我说的 |
[01:32] | I will. | 好 |
[01:33] | That’s all it is. | 就是这样的 |
[01:37] | All what is? | 什么样? |
[01:38] | Trial law… | 庭审… |
[01:40] | getting the jury to trust you | 让陪审团相信你 |
[01:42] | so they’ll believe what you tell them. | 让他们相信你说的话 |
[01:45] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[01:48] | Sincerity, Sally, | Sally 是真的 |
[01:50] | once you learn to fake that, there’ll be no stopping you. | 一旦学会这么做 就所向披靡了 |
[02:48] | Denny, we’ve got… | Denny 我们得到… |
[02:51] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[02:52] | A little maintenance work, Paul. | 面部小手术 Paul |
[02:53] | Wouldn’t hurt you, by the way. You look like a prune. | 不会伤害到你吧 你像个被修剪的树 |
[02:56] | We have the Kaneb meeting in 15 minutes. | 十五分钟有个Kaneb会议 |
[02:58] | Excellent. Why do I care? | 真棒 我为什么要在乎? |
[02:59] | You care because this is the construction project | 你在乎因为这是个建筑项目 |
[03:02] | that the entire firm has been working on for 18 months. | 整个律所忙了十八个月的项目 |
[03:05] | You care because Byron Kaneb cares, | 因为Byron Kaneb在乎 所以你在乎 |
[03:08] | and he expects you to be present. | 他希望你出席 |
[03:11] | Damn it, man, what have you done? | 天呐 伙计 你干嘛了? |
[03:12] | The needle broke. | 针坏了 |
[03:15] | Not to worry, just let me remove it. | 别担心 让我把它弄走 |
[03:16] | Don’t you touch me. | 别碰我 |
[03:17] | Mr. Crane, half the needle is still in your forehead. | Crane先生 半个针头还在你前额上 |
[03:19] | – Just let me remove… – You’re not touching me! | – 让我把它拿出来… – 别碰我! |
[03:22] | Get Dr. Michaels back down here. | 让Micharels医生过来 |
[03:24] | This is what happens when I let his kids cut their teeth on my head. | 这就是我让他的人在我头上动土的结果 |
[03:27] | – If I could just remove the needle… – Don’t you touch me! | – 如果我把针拔出来… – 别碰我! |
[03:30] | Denny, there’s a needle in your head. | Denny 你头上有个针 |
[03:32] | Let him at least remove it. | 至少把它拔出来 |
[03:34] | Get me Dr. Michaels! | 给我把Micharls医生找来! |
[03:40] | I really don’t need a second chair for this. | 我真的不需要副手 |
[03:42] | Sexual harassment is a specialty of mine. | 性骚扰案是我的专长 |
[03:44] | – Mine, too. – No doubt, but while your experience | – 也是我的 – 毫无疑问 但是你的经验 |
[03:46] | tends to be more hands-on, mine… | 是亲身的来的 我的… |
[03:48] | tends to be more wishful thinking. | 更像是在打如意算盘 |
[03:50] | Not to mention, you ooze. | 更何况你有弱点 |
[03:53] | I ooze? | 弱点? |
[03:55] | Yes, that certain something that subliminally champions misogyny. | 是的 你潜意识里讨厌的女人 |
[03:59] | You need me. | 你需要我 |
[04:03] | Lori, | Lori啊 |
[04:05] | as much as I may want you, desire you, even, | 即使我想要你 甚至不能离开你 |
[04:11] | I do not need you. | 但我也不会需要你 |
[04:13] | See that right there? | 看见没? |
[04:15] | Ooze! | 弱点! |
[04:21] | When can I dig my hole? | 我什么时候可以开工? |
[04:23] | We’re almost there, Byron. | 我们就快解决这个问题了 Byron |
[04:24] | Don’t tell me we’re almost there, Paul. | 不要告诉我就快了 Paul |
[04:27] | We’ve been almost there for six months. | 我们已经停在这儿半年了 |
[04:29] | When will we be there? | 我们什么时候过这个坎? |
[04:31] | City council agreed to the variance for the golf course on Monday. | 周一市议会同意了高尔夫球场的分歧 |
[04:34] | Now today we’re expecting an answer | 现在我们等 |
[04:35] | from the redevelopment commission for the outdoor mall, | 重建发展委员会批准户外商场 |
[04:37] | and my sources say they’re gonna rule in our favor. | 我的线人说 法令有利于我们 |
[04:39] | What about the damn E.P.A.? | 那环境保护署那边呢? |
[04:41] | The blue spotted salamander just got downgraded | 上周蓝蜥蜴由濒临灭绝物种 |
[04:43] | from endangered to hreatened last week, | 被降为处于灭绝物种 |
[04:45] | so the marina looks like a go except for… | 看来码头有希望了 除了… |
[04:47] | Except for what? | 除了什么? |
[04:48] | It seems there’s a river where some salmon spawn. | 似乎有条河是鲑鱼产卵的地方 |
[04:52] | Evidently, there’s some environmental lawyer who’s making a stink. | 显然 一些环境法律师已经开始叫嚣了 |
[04:57] | When you say stink… | 叫嚣是什么意思… |
[04:59] | He got a T.R.O. | 他们有临时禁止令 |
[05:03] | A fish? | 一种鱼? |
[05:05] | My city’s being held up by a fish? | 我们市要被一种鱼拖垮吗? |
[05:08] | We are meeting the lawyer today. | 我们今天去会会那些律师 |
[05:09] | We will make it go away. | 应该可以解决问题 |
[05:19] | Do you plan to contribute, or are you simply assigned to mop up the ooze? | 你想出点力气 或者是做收尾工作? |
[05:23] | Alan. | Alan啊 |
[05:28] | Hello. | 你好 |
[05:30] | Christine Pauley. | 我是Christine Pauley |
[05:32] | Oh, I’ve heard so much about you. | 喔 久仰大名 |
[05:33] | How are you? | 你好吗? |
[05:34] | Fine, thank you. | 很好 谢谢 |
[05:37] | – If you’ll excuse us, we’re due in court. – Yes, I know. | – 如果你要道歉 上庭再说吧 – 是 我知道 |
[05:39] | I’m opposing counsel. | 我是对方律师 |
[05:42] | I beg your pardon? | 什么? |
[05:44] | What do you expect me to do? | 你希望我做啥? |
[05:45] | I expect you to disqualify her. This is tantamount to stalking. | 希望你吊销她的资格 这等于设陷阱 |
[05:48] | She got herself assigned to this case because I’m on it. | 因为我接了这个案子 她也来接这个案子 |
[05:51] | Not to mention, as an officer of the court, | 更不用说 作为一个上庭人员 |
[05:52] | I question whether Ms. Pauley even has the capacity to trial case. | 我质疑Pauley小姐是否有能力上庭 |
[05:55] | She was released from a mental facility last week. | 她上周刚从精神病院出来 |
[05:58] | Certainly, counsel, if you wanna conflict out… | 确实 律师 如果你想回避… |
[06:00] | I can’t conflict out. | 我不能回避 |
[06:01] | I’m the only one who knows the case here. | 我是这里唯一了解案情的人 |
[06:03] | – Ms. Colson was simply put on… – Ms. Pauley, | – Colson小姐只是简单地装作… – Pauley小姐 |
[06:05] | what’s going on? | 到底怎么回事? |
[06:06] | Of all the cases to start off with, | 所有的案子 |
[06:08] | you pick one against an ex-boyfriend you tried to kill? | 偏选了你想杀的前男友接的案子? |
[06:10] | Actually, your honor, I didn’t pick it. | 实际上 法官大人 我没有故意接这个案子 |
[06:12] | – My firm came to me. – Please, Christine… | – 我的律所找到我 – Christine得了吧… |
[06:14] | because I used to date Mr. Shore, | 因为我以前是Shore先生的恋人 |
[06:16] | they thought I could shed some light | 他们觉得我更了解 |
[06:18] | on some of his procedural eccentricities, which I did. | 他的手段 我也确实是 |
[06:20] | Since I also happen to have extensive | 而且 我也对性骚扰的案件 |
[06:22] | experience in sexual harassment law, | 有很丰富的经验 |
[06:24] | the senior parers asked me if I would first chair, I agreed. | 资深合伙人希望我接这个案子 我就答应了 |
[06:27] | – We start at 11 A.M. – Your honor… | – 十一点开庭 – 法官大人… |
[06:29] | Mr. Shore, if you wanna conflict out, do so. | Shore先生 如果你想回避 就回避吧 |
[06:33] | But I have no legal basis to disqualify Ms. Pauley. | 但是 我没有法律依据撤销Pauley小姐的上庭资格 |
[06:41] | May I speak with you alone, Alan? | Alan 我能单独和你谈谈吗? |
[06:43] | No, you may not, Christine. | 不 不行 Christine |
[06:44] | And if you choose to be on this case, | 如果你接了这个案子 |
[06:46] | please conduct yourself at arm’s length and on the record. | 请光明正大别耍小花招 |
[06:49] | It’s just coincidence to you your first case out of the hospital. | 只是巧合 你出院的第一个案子就碰到我 |
[06:52] | I consider it a preposterous coincidence, | 我在想 怎么有这种巧合啊 |
[06:53] | you have no business trying a case. | 你根本没资格上庭 |
[06:54] | – But truth be told, the partners think – I know you better than your partner. | – 但是 事实是 合伙人认为 – 我比你的合伙人更了解你 |
[06:57] | – How sad, you can’t be happy for me. – I’m not happy. | – 多可悲啊 你竟然不为我开心 – 我不开心 |
[06:59] | Clearly. | 看得出来 |
[07:04] | Well, that seemed perfectly normal. | 呃 看起来很正常啊 |
[07:09] | The D.A. offered three months suspended. | 地方检察官提出缓刑三个月 |
[07:11] | I think we should take it. | 我觉得这个很合适 |
[07:12] | Does it go on my record? | 会记到我记录里吗? |
[07:14] | – Well, yes. – The answer’s no. | – 嗯 会的 – 我不要 |
[07:16] | – Ramone… – I didn’t do it. | – Ramone啊… – 我不 |
[07:17] | I didn’t take that wallet. | 我没偷钱包 |
[07:18] | And as a matter of principle, I won’t pretend that I took it. | 原则是 我不能假装我偷钱包了 |
[07:20] | They have an eyewitness. | 他们有目击者 |
[07:21] | Look here, I might seem like some court-appointed charity case, | 虽然我接受的是法庭派来的援助律师 |
[07:25] | but I’m an honest man. I don’t steal. | 但是 我是个诚实的人 我没偷东西 |
[07:28] | And I won’t agree to any plea that says otherwise. | 我不同意任何辩解 |
[07:31] | Mr. Seymore. | Seymore先生 |
[07:33] | Hi, Sally Heep. | 你好 我是Sally Heep |
[07:34] | I’m in litigation at the firm. | 我在律所工作 |
[07:35] | I know that. | 我知道 |
[07:37] | – You in court today, or… – No, but you are. | – 你今天要上庭还是… – 不 但是你要上庭 |
[07:40] | I’m here to observe your work, Ms. Heep. | 我来观察你的工作 Heep小姐 |
[07:43] | Good luck. | 好运 |
[07:53] | Denny, | Denny啊 |
[07:55] | the lawyer who got the T.R.O. | 得到临时禁止令的律师 |
[08:00] | On the Kaneb construction project… | 在Kaneb的建设项目… |
[08:02] | – Ah. – Pay him out, Paul. | – 啊 – Paul把他打发走 |
[08:04] | Give him a bottle of scotch and some money | 多灌些敬酒 |
[08:06] | to buy some more bus bench ADs. | 给他点好处 |
[08:09] | He says he’s your son. | 他说他是你儿子 |
[08:25] | It’s true. | 真的 |
[08:27] | You’re a lawyer now. | 你现在是律师了 |
[08:31] | Hey… | 你好… |
[08:33] | Dad. | 爸爸 |
[08:43] | You got a needle in your head. | 你头上有个针 |
[08:44] | Small accident. Not to worry. | 小事情 别担心 |
[08:48] | Son. | 儿子 |
[08:50] | Dad. | 爸爸 |
[09:03] | You’re a lawyer now. That’s how you greet people? | 你现在是律师了 就这么和别人打招呼吗? |
[09:07] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[09:13] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[09:15] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[09:16] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[09:17] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[09:19] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[09:20] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[09:21] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[09:22] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[09:23] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[09:25] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[09:36] | I had a one-night stand with his mother. | 我和她妈一夜情 生出了他 |
[09:38] | I paid for his education and so forth. | 我一直给他念书的钱之类的 |
[09:41] | I did everything I could to be a good father. | 我已经尽力做个好爸爸了 |
[09:45] | When’s the last time you saw him? | 你最后一次见他是什么时候? |
[09:47] | Oh, I don’t know. | 喔 忘了 |
[09:48] | When he was 12? | 他12岁的时候? |
[09:50] | We’ve offered several decent compromises. – And? | 我们提供了几个不错的折中方法 – 然后? |
[09:54] | He just keeps on saying his name. | 他一直重复他的名字 |
[09:57] | Oh, I’ll talk to him. | 喔 我和他谈谈 |
[10:03] | How’s my boy? | 儿子怎么样? |
[10:05] | They don’t really need to bug you with this, dad. | 这么点小事不用你出面的 爸爸 |
[10:07] | So, what’s this all about, saving some fish? | 那么 关于拯救鱼类呢? |
[10:11] | Well, see, your lawyers… | 呃 瞧 你的律师… |
[10:14] | who are clearly very talented, | 毫无疑问 很有才 |
[10:16] | persuaded a judge to eliminate the distinction | 说服法官 淡化 |
[10:19] | between farmed salmon and wild salmon. | 野生鲑鱼和人工饲养鲑鱼的区别 |
[10:21] | The president of the United States | 是美国总统提议的 |
[10:23] | proposed eliminating that distinction. | 淡化差别 |
[10:26] | Yes, I know. That’s probably why the judge granted your motion. | 是 我知道 这也许是法官批准申请的原因 |
[10:29] | See, dad, wild salmon are an endangered species. | 爸爸 野生鲑鱼是濒危物种 |
[10:33] | The administration figures | 专门机构确认 |
[10:34] | if you eliminate the distinction between farmed and wild, | 如果淡化野生和人工饲养的鲑鱼的差别 |
[10:37] | and count them both as one, | 把他俩作为一种生物 |
[10:39] | the numbers would go up, | 整体数量会提高 |
[10:40] | and you could take them off the endangered list. | 并且从濒危物种名单上消失 |
[10:42] | And that way, | 那样的话 |
[10:43] | they can lift the environmental protections in place to protect them, | 他们可以高举环保大旗 |
[10:46] | which, of course, allows you to build more shopping malls. | 让你去建什么购物中心 |
[10:51] | Well, son, look at the big picture. | 嗯 儿子 从宏观角度看下 |
[10:53] | If building this mall can save a species from becoming endangered, | 如果修建了购物中心可以挽救一种濒危物种 |
[10:57] | let’s, by all means, do it. | 那我们就这么做吧 |
[11:09] | I was vice president in charge of alternative investments. | 我是负责非传统投资的副董事长 |
[11:13] | And at the time of the affair, Mr. Ralston… | 你俩在一起的时候 Ralston先生… |
[11:15] | He was, and remains president of the firm. | 还是公司的董事长 |
[11:19] | This romantic affair lasted how long, Ms. Moore? | Moore小姐 你们俩恋爱了多久? |
[11:22] | – About nine months, at which point, I broke it off. – Because? | – 大约九个月 后来我提出分手了 – 为什么? |
[11:25] | Well, mainly because I was a married woman. | 嗯 因为我是已婚女人 |
[11:27] | And I wanted to work things out with my husband. | 我想和丈夫和好 |
[11:30] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[11:31] | And how did Mr. Ralston handle the breakup? | Ralston先生是怎么处理你们分手的事情的? |
[11:34] | At first, I think, fine. | 刚开始 我觉得 很好 |
[11:35] | But then he would continue to try to get back together. | 但是 后来他又想重新在一起 |
[11:37] | He would schedule lunches, meetings, ostensibly about business, | 他安排一起吃饭 开会 表面上是关于公事的 |
[11:40] | only to pursue his romantic interests. | 实际上 还想恢复以前的关系 |
[11:43] | He started calling me after hours. | 他开始不停地给我打电话 |
[11:45] | Sometimes he would send flowers. | 有时送花 |
[11:46] | Eventually, it got so bad I simply had to leave. | 最终 我没法忍受 就离开了 |
[11:50] | You went to another brokerage firm? | 你去了另一家经纪公司? |
[11:52] | At a lesser position for less money. | 赚钱比以前少 |
[11:54] | There seemed to be a stigma about my departure. | 似乎我的离开是一个耻辱 |
[11:57] | I don’t know, I… | 我不知道 我… |
[11:58] | maybe people thought that I had secretly been fired, I don’t know. | 也许有人认为 我是被秘密解雇的 我不知道 |
[12:02] | What I do know is I was basically forced out of my job | 我知道的是 我是因为他的无情令人生厌的性示意 |
[12:06] | by his relentless unwelcome sexual advances. | 而被迫丢掉工作的 |
[12:11] | Thank you, Ms. Moore. | 谢谢 Moore小姐 |
[12:22] | She looks demented. | 感觉她快疯了 |
[12:26] | Ms. Pauley. | Pauley小姐 |
[12:35] | Leading up to your affair with my client, | 先谈谈他和我当事人的婚外情 |
[12:37] | he made welcomed sexual advances? | 他的性示意被接受了吗? |
[12:39] | Well, not at first. I, I was a married woman. | 呃 开始不是 我是个已婚女人 |
[12:43] | But at some point, the advances became welcomed. | 某种方面 他的性示意被接受了 |
[12:47] | Yes. | 是 |
[12:48] | – A love affair then ensued? – Yes. | – 接着相爱了? – 是的 |
[12:51] | So I guess my client’s strategy was | 我想 我当事人的策略是 |
[12:53] | ” if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again “ | “如果开始不成功 就一直努力尝试 再尝试” |
[12:56] | – a strategy you certainly ratified. – Well… | – 一个你也认同的策略 – 嗯… |
[13:00] | Since dogged perseverance was rewarded the first time, | 因为第一次被接受 所以就一直执着 |
[13:02] | I guess it would be only natural for him to adopt that strategy again. | 我想 他再一次实践他的策略 这也很正常 |
[13:06] | I may have sent mixed signals the first time, | 我也许在第一次有些暧昧 |
[13:08] | but I did no such thing this time. | 但是现在完全没有 |
[13:12] | When you left, did you tell prospective employers the reason? | 当你离开时 你告诉你未来雇主离开的原因了吗? |
[13:15] | – No, I… – why not? | – 不 没有… – 为什么不? |
[13:17] | I suppose I feared that it wouldn’t depict me in the best possible light. | 我想 那样会让我形象受损 |
[13:21] | – I was a married woman having an affair. – Got it. | – 一个已婚女人有婚外情 – 明白了 |
[13:24] | So, this stigma you refer to, | 那么 你选择的这个耻辱 |
[13:27] | people wondering whether you were fired or not. | 人们在想你是不是被炒了 |
[13:30] | That stigma was at least partly caused | 这个耻辱至少有一部分 |
[13:32] | by your embarrassment over your own behavior, | 是因为你自己的尴尬行为 |
[13:34] | a married woman having an affair. | 已婚女人的婚外情 |
[13:38] | – I suppose that’s true. – Thank you, Ms. Moore. | – 我想这是事实 – 谢谢 Moore小姐 |
[13:58] | I was reaching into my purse to get some change to feed the homeless. | 我正拿钱给那些流浪汉 |
[14:02] | That’s when I saw him coming. | 就看到他来了 |
[14:04] | Who? | 谁? |
[14:05] | Him. | 他 |
[14:06] | The guilty defendant sitting right there. | 坐在那里的有罪的被告 |
[14:08] | Objection. | 反对 |
[14:09] | Jury will disregard the reference to the defendant’s guilt. | 陪审团会无视被告有罪的引用 |
[14:13] | Then what happened? | 然后呢? |
[14:15] | He reached into my purse, grabbed my wallet, | 他把手伸到我包里 然后抢走了我的钱包 |
[14:18] | started rifling through it. | 开始翻东西 |
[14:20] | What did you do? | 你什么反应? |
[14:21] | I stood there, frozen. | 我站在那里 呆掉了 |
[14:23] | I was shocked. | 我被吓着了 |
[14:24] | He started running away as he was rifling through it. | 他一边掏东西 一边逃跑 |
[14:27] | Then he turns, and he’s coming back. | 然后 他转身朝我走来 |
[14:30] | Then what happened? | 然后呢? |
[14:31] | I ran. | 我跑了 |
[14:33] | He started chasing me. | 他开始追我 |
[14:35] | Thank god he was tackled by some people. | 谢天谢地 他被大伙抓住了 |
[14:37] | I don’t know what he might have done. | 否则我都不知道他想干什么 |
[14:39] | Ms. White, are you absolutely sure that it was the defendant? | White小姐 你能确定被告就是那个人吗? |
[14:42] | I can show you the pictures. | 我可以给你看照片 |
[14:46] | What pictures? | 什么照片? |
[14:47] | I have one of those little phone camera thingies. | 我的手机有照相功能 |
[14:50] | I snapped his picture. | 我拍照了 |
[14:52] | And you have them? | 你有照片? |
[14:54] | Look. | 看 |
[15:02] | You can see he’s got the wallet. | 你能看到他拿着钱包 |
[15:28] | You just let the pictures be introduced | 你对那些做证据的照片 |
[15:30] | without so much as an objection. | 一点异议都没有 |
[15:32] | Well, I thought, um, | 嗯 我觉得 呃 |
[15:34] | the prosecution didn’t know about it either. | 公诉人也不知道有这码事 |
[15:35] | So I couldn’t claim unfair surprise. | 我不能有不公平的申请 |
[15:39] | Could’ve gotten time to prepare a cross-examination, | 你该把时间用在准备交叉盘问 |
[15:42] | to research the photos for authenticity. | 研究照片的真实性 |
[15:46] | Instead, you sat there quietly. | 而不是 坐在那里一言不发 |
[15:49] | There’s eyewitness testimony from the victim, | 他们有受害者作为目击者 |
[15:52] | a positive I.D. and pictures. | 一个确定的身份证和照片 |
[15:58] | How do you plan to proceed now, Sally? | Sally 接下来打算怎么办? |
[16:02] | Um… | 呃… |
[16:06] | my client wants to testify. | 我的客户想出庭作证 |
[16:10] | And say what? | 说什么? |
[16:12] | Um… | 呃… |
[16:14] | that he’s innocent. | 他是无辜的 |
[16:27] | It’s a fish, for god’s sakes. | 天呐 是鱼 |
[16:29] | It’s not just a fish. | 不只是鱼 |
[16:30] | It’s a salmon, which the government is trying to wipe out. | 它是鲑鱼 政府要把它彻底消灭 |
[16:33] | Now, look, I like to fish myself, | 现在 瞧 我愿意自己钓鱼 |
[16:35] | catch and release, the whole shebang. | 不过就是抓住又放了的事 |
[16:37] | Pull them in by the lip, throw them back out to prove you’re humane. | 把钩子钩在嘴上钓上来 然后再放回去证明你的人道 |
[16:40] | You’re mocking me. He’s mocking me, dad. | 你在嘲笑我 他在嘲笑我 爸爸 |
[16:42] | You’re a Crane. Get used to it. | 你也是Crane 习惯就好了 |
[16:44] | We will go to court. | 法庭上见 |
[16:46] | I love court. | 我喜欢上庭 |
[16:48] | Donny Crane. | 我可是Donny Crane |
[16:53] | Look, Donny, you seem like a nice kid. | 瞧 Donny 你是个好孩子 |
[16:56] | I have no doubt that you’re a terrific attorney, | 毫无疑问 你也是个很棒的律师 |
[16:59] | but you are not him. | 但是 你不是他 |
[17:05] | You’re like a son to him, aren’t you? | 而你倒像是他儿子 对吧? |
[17:09] | Does he hug you much? | 他经常抱你吗? |
[17:12] | Look, if this is about some score between you and the old man… | 听着 如果这是你和那个老男人之间的私人恩怨… |
[17:15] | It’s not about any score. | 和其他无关 |
[17:16] | Hey, if you people want to go to court… | 好 如果你愿意上庭… |
[17:21] | Beat it, will you, Brad? | Brad 这案子你能赢他吗? |
[17:29] | Is it a score? | 这是我们的宿怨吗? |
[17:33] | Was I not there enough? | 是我陪你的时间不够多吗? |
[17:35] | Were you not there enough? | 是你陪我的时间不够多吗? |
[17:37] | Dad, I haven’t seen you in 15 years. | 爸爸 我已经十五年没见你了 |
[17:43] | I may not have had the time to give that most dads had, | 我也许不能跟其他爸爸一样 在你身上花大把时间 |
[17:49] | but I thought I was giving you something much more important. | 但是我给你了更重要的东西 |
[17:53] | Money. | 钱 |
[17:56] | You gave me something even more important than that, dad. | 你给我了比钱更重要的东西 爸爸 |
[17:59] | You gave me the Crane legacy, | 你给我创造了Crane传奇 |
[18:02] | and I fully plan on living up to it. | 我也要像你一样 |
[18:06] | So… | 那么… |
[18:10] | I’ll see you and your team in court. | 我们法庭上见 |
[18:16] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[18:27] | At first, I saw it, but I didn’t see it, if that makes any sense. | 起初 我看见了但是我没看清 不知道你懂不懂我的意思 |
[18:31] | It took a few seconds to register. | 我花了几秒钟去确认 |
[18:36] | What took a few seconds? | 你花这几秒钟干什么去了? |
[18:38] | My wallet. | 我的钱包 |
[18:39] | I lost it two days earlier and then I see it right there in her bag. | 两天前丢了 然后我看到在她的包里 |
[18:44] | – Your wallet. – Yeah, this funky orange color. | – 你的钱包 – 是 那个很新潮的橘色 |
[18:47] | It’s not like there could be two of them, and I lost it on Washington, | 世界上再没有第二个那样的包了 我在华盛顿丢的 |
[18:50] | right where we were at, so I figured she stole it. | 那时 我想确认是不是她偷走了我的钱包 |
[18:53] | That woman stole my wallet. | 那个女人偷了我的包 |
[18:56] | – So… – So I walked right up and snatched it back. Self-help. | – 所以… – 所以我走到她面前把包抢回来了 自助行为 |
[19:01] | – You snatched back your own wallet. – Yes, I did. | – 你拿回你自己的钱包 – 是的 |
[19:04] | And I hustled off, because truth be told, | 我转身就跑 因为说实话 |
[19:06] | the woman looked a little vicious. | 这个女人看起来不好惹 |
[19:12] | So what happened next? | 然后呢? |
[19:13] | Well, I started to go through it to make sure it was mine, | 呃 我开始检查这个包 确认是不是我的 |
[19:17] | and as I was going through the inside, I saw… | 我检查包里 发现… |
[19:20] | Oh, my god, it’s not my wallet. | 天呐 这不是我的钱包 |
[19:22] | It looked exactly like mine, but it wasn’t. | 它看起来很像我的钱包 但是不是 |
[19:25] | Truth is, I, I discovered later I’d left it in my car. | 事实是 后来我发现钱包就在我车里 |
[19:29] | It was all a big mistake. | 真的是一场大误会 |
[19:31] | So I started to run back to return it, and she just took off, | 所以我回去还包 她就跑了 |
[19:35] | and I started chasing, yelling, ” lady, wait. I’m bringing it back, | 我一边追她一边大喊 “女士 等一下 我把包还你 |
[19:38] | I’m bringing it back.” | 我把包还你” |
[19:40] | Then I got tackled, and here I am. | 然后 我被抓了 现在在这里了 |
[19:48] | Your witness. | 你来问 |
[19:52] | So the wallet that you ripped out of Miss White’s purse, | 你从White女士包里拿出钱包 |
[19:56] | the wallet that you just ran off with, | 然后带着钱包逃走 |
[19:58] | you thought it was your own. | 是因为你认为那是你的 |
[20:00] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[20:01] | Because it looked exactly like yours. | 因为它确实很像你的 |
[20:03] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[20:06] | This one here. | 就是这个 |
[20:19] | When we broke up, it was because | 我们分手的时候 |
[20:21] | she felt committed to working things out with her family. | 是因为她觉得对家庭有责任 |
[20:25] | It wasn’t that things were emotionally over between us. | 而不是我们之间已经没感觉了 |
[20:29] | – She said that. – Yes. | – 她说的 – 是的 |
[20:30] | And I suppose I felt, you know, when… | 我觉得 我感觉 当… |
[20:33] | when two people love each other, | 当两个人彼此相爱 |
[20:35] | you persevere through obstacles. | 你就总想冲破一切阻碍在一起 |
[20:38] | My so-called sexual harassment, | 我所谓的性骚扰 |
[20:41] | it wasn’t about sexual advances. | 与性示意无关 |
[20:43] | It was about getting her to be true to her feelings. | 是引导她坦诚面对自己的感觉 |
[20:46] | You were trying to show her that she felt like having sex with you. | 你想证明 她喜欢和你上床 |
[20:49] | Please don’t trivialize this. | 请不要扭曲事实 |
[20:51] | I assure you, sir,I take it very seriously. | 先生 我向你保证 我是认真的 |
[20:53] | You say it’s okay to harass women in the workplace | 你是说只要你爱她 |
[20:57] | so long as you love them. | 在工作场所骚扰妇女是可以的 |
[20:59] | I believed, and still believe, she was in love with me. | 我一直都相信 她是爱我的 |
[21:02] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[21:03] | – And she lacked the autonomy to make up her own mind. – Objection. | – 她没有自主做决定的权利 – 反对 |
[21:06] | She lacked the mental capacity, perhaps, | 也许她没有民事行为能力 |
[21:07] | – to be truly happy without you. – Objection! | – 没你就不开心 – 反对! |
[21:09] | – Why is it some people just refuse to accept that it’s over. – Objection! | – 为什么有些人总拒绝接受分手的事实 – 反对 |
[21:21] | I truly apologize. | 我表示真诚的歉意 |
[21:23] | For a second, I thought you were personalizing it, Alan, | 某些时候 我觉得你在针对我 Alan |
[21:26] | and I was out of line. | 所以我就失控了 |
[21:29] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[21:31] | It’s okay. | 没关系 |
[21:34] | You all right? | 你还好吗? |
[21:35] | Yes. | 还好 |
[21:38] | It is ridiculous. | 太荒谬了 |
[21:40] | The stress of a trial a week out of the rubber room, going up against you. | 才出院一星期 接的案子又碰到你 让我压力很大 |
[21:46] | Why are you doing this? | 你为什么这么做? |
[21:50] | I was always safe inside work, you know? | 工作的时候才有安全感 你知道吗? |
[21:54] | It was a little cocoon. | 像个茧 |
[21:56] | Can you continue? | 你能继续吗? |
[21:58] | Oh, yes. | 哦 可以 |
[22:00] | It’s just a little… | 只是有一点… |
[22:04] | again, I apologize for the outburst. | 再次 为我的失控道歉 |
[22:14] | Whatever you can do to keep it personal… | 请尽量针对她个人 |
[22:18] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[22:20] | She’s kind of been kicking our ass, Alan. | 她是个强劲的对手 Alan |
[22:22] | That’s the first crack I’ve seen in her armor. | 刚才是我第一次看出她的弱点 |
[22:27] | I’m not going to exploit her. | 我不想伤害她 |
[22:29] | Alan, if you can’t put your client’s interests ahead of Christine’s, | Alan 如果你不能把客户的利益放在Christine之上 |
[22:33] | then step aside. | 就从一号的位置退下去 |
[22:35] | Let number two take over. | 让二号来接手 |
[22:39] | We now have to go to court? | 我们现在不得不上庭? |
[22:41] | No, we are confident we’ll be able to handle this. | 不 我们有信心打赢这个案子 |
[22:43] | I hire one of the biggest law firms in Boston, | 我雇了波士顿最大的律所之一 |
[22:45] | definitely one of the most expensive, | 也是收费最高的 |
[22:47] | and I’m being neutralized by salmon man, | 现在竟被几个养鲑鱼的制住 |
[22:49] | who happens to be your son? | 偏偏还又是你儿子? |
[22:52] | Let me tell you something, Byron. | 我和你讲下情况吧 Byron |
[22:59] | Um, Brad Chase is one of our finest litigators. | 呃 Brad Chase是我们所最好的诉讼律师之一 |
[23:04] | He will handle this. | 他会处理好的 |
[23:13] | Your honor, we’ve had meetings with the environmental protection agency. | 法官大人 我们已经和环保局开过会了 |
[23:16] | They signed off on this already. | 那边已经批准 |
[23:18] | With all due respect, | 恕我直言 |
[23:19] | the E.P.A. gets steamrolled by the administration all the time. | 环保局一直被政府部门打压 |
[23:22] | No matter what anyone proposes these days, | 无论这些天有谁的提案 |
[23:24] | there’s always somebody somewhere | 总有人无时无刻地 |
[23:26] | who jumps up and screams, “woe, the environment.” | 跳出来 大喊”环境问题” |
[23:28] | Now there’s a word, your honor, | 法官大人 现在可以用一个词 |
[23:30] | a very simple word that describes what my client is trying to do here. | 一个简单的词 来表述我的当事人现在做的事 |
[23:32] | Please don’t let the word be “progress.” | 不要告诉我是”进步” |
[23:40] | How about “people”? | 那”人类”呢? |
[23:41] | – People. – Yes. | – 人类 – 是的 |
[23:44] | We are trying to invest in the future of people. | 我们要造福未来的人类 |
[23:50] | Creating jobs in a time of unemployment. | 为失业的人创造就业机会 |
[23:52] | We’re talking about over 1,000 jobs. | 我们会提供多于1000个职位 |
[23:54] | We’re talking about benefiting people below the poverty line. | 我们造福贫困线以下的人 |
[23:56] | We are talking about people hoping to educate their children, | 我们要让小孩收到教育 |
[23:59] | afford medical coverage, feed their families, basic human needs. | 提供医保 养家糊口 最基本的生存必须 |
[24:04] | This man wants to put all that on hold because it inconveniences a fish. | 这个人想阻止这一切 只因为会伤害到一种鱼 |
[24:10] | Mr. Crane? | Crane先生怎么说? |
[24:13] | Well, first, | 嗯 首先 |
[24:16] | this whole thing kind of goes to the farmed salmon issue. | 整个事情是关于人工饲养的鲑鱼问题 |
[24:20] | The government is trying to count these | 政府想把人工饲养的鲑鱼和 |
[24:21] | genetically raised salmon as wild ones. | 野生鲑鱼 混为一谈 |
[24:23] | So they can take salmon off the endangered species list. | 这样 鲑鱼就从濒危物种的名单上消失了 |
[24:26] | I get that. So what? | 我明白了 那又怎样? |
[24:27] | – So what? – People judge, jobs, insurance, schoolbooks, food. People. | – 那又么样? – 人类总对工作 保险 课本 食物作出评判 这就是人类 |
[24:32] | Well, farmed salmon is terrible for people. | 呃 人工饲养的鲑鱼对人体有害 |
[24:35] | They’re carcinogenic. | 他们是致癌物 |
[24:36] | They don’t even look like real salmon. | 他们看起来都不像是真正的鲑鱼 |
[24:39] | By the way, they’re fed these little pellets to turn their meat red. | 另外 饲养时还放药让肉变成红色 |
[24:42] | – Otherwise, it’s this pallid white. – People, jobs, America first. | – 否则就是一种病态的白色 – 人类 工作 美国优先 |
[24:47] | There’s a rumor. | 有个传言 |
[24:49] | I can’t give evidence on this, but there’s a rumor | 我没有证据 但却有个传言 |
[24:51] | that cattle they have to kill due to mad cow disease, | 说那些因为疯牛病而被屠杀的牛 |
[24:54] | they grind them up and then feed the meat to the farmed salmon. | 他们把牛肉搅碎 喂人工饲养的鲑鱼 |
[24:58] | Objection, your honor. | 反对 法官大人 |
[24:59] | There is nothing in the record that even remotely substantiates that. | 这种说法毫无根据 |
[25:03] | Counsel, the river in question only concerns wild salmon, | 律师 这条河只牵扯到野生鲑鱼 |
[25:07] | so can we get off the farmed salmon? | 我们能不能不谈人工饲养的鲑鱼呢? |
[25:09] | We’re talking about lifting the environmental protections on that river. | 我们谈的是那条河如何规避了环境保护法令 |
[25:12] | They’re inflating the salmon count | 他们算上了人工饲养的鲑鱼 |
[25:14] | with the farmed numbers to get those protections lifted. | 从而使鲑鱼数目扩大化 这些鲑鱼就不被保护了 |
[25:17] | People, jobs, food chain. | 人类 工作 食物链 |
[25:20] | Oh, yes, people and jobs. | 喔 是的 人类和工作 |
[25:22] | Wild salmon is a billion-dollar industry in this country alone. | 野生鲑鱼在我国是一个价值十亿的产业 |
[25:26] | Once we destroy the wild salmon population? | 一旦破坏了野生鲑鱼的数量? |
[25:29] | and that’s what we’re doing. | 这也是我们正在做的 |
[25:30] | That’s a billion-dollar industry gone. | 十亿的产业就没了 |
[25:33] | People, jobs, schoolbooks. | 人类 工作 课本 |
[25:37] | And we’ll have to go back to eating meat. | 我们以后就得吃肉了 |
[25:38] | People, cancer. | 人类 癌症 |
[25:41] | We’ll just eat the farmed stuff. | 我们可以只吃人工饲养的东西 |
[25:43] | There’s nothing wrong with synthetic food, your honor. | 转基因食物没有问题 法官大人 |
[25:45] | We live in a synthetic country, for god’s sake. | 天呐 我们还住在人造的国家里呢 |
[25:58] | And on that note… | 这一点… |
[26:00] | I’ll rest. | 我无话可说 |
[26:03] | Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[26:15] | You should have seen Seymore’s face. | 你应该看看Seymore那张脸 |
[26:18] | – I think I’m about to get fired. – You won’t be fired. | – 我觉得我要被开除了 – 你不会被开除 |
[26:20] | What am I gonna do? | 那怎么办? |
[26:21] | What can I possibly say in my closing? | 那结案词里说什么? |
[26:24] | I’ve got nothing. | 我束手无策了 |
[26:27] | Rabbit? | 兔子? |
[26:30] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[26:31] | Pull a rabbit out from under your dress. | 从你的裙子里跳出一只兔子 |
[26:34] | You know what Gerry Spence does is these hopeless situations? | 你知道每次Gerry Spence无计可施的时候都干什么吗? |
[26:38] | He just tells the jury a story. | 他给陪审团讲故事 |
[26:40] | – A story? – Any story, as long as it’s interesting. | – 故事? – 任何故事 只要有趣 |
[26:43] | He just entertains the jury. | 他只需把陪审团逗乐 |
[26:44] | He gets them right here, | 俘获民心 |
[26:46] | and in that moment when he has them right here, | 一旦他俘获了陪审团的心 |
[26:49] | he connects the story to his case, | 他就把故事和案子结合起来 |
[26:50] | sometimes barely, sometimes ridiculously. | 时而牵强 时而滑稽 |
[26:55] | And then he asks the jury to let his client go, | 然后他就让陪审团放了他的当事人 |
[26:57] | and for god knows what reason, they often do. | 也不知道怎么了 这招经常奏效 |
[27:02] | – A good story may be your rabbit. – Alan. | – 一个好故事就是你的兔子 – Alan |
[27:07] | I’m sorry, Sally. This is a little important. | 抱歉 Sally 这个很重要 |
[27:09] | I need your number. | 你给个数字 |
[27:12] | You have my number, Christine. I haven’t changed it. | 你有我的电话 Christine 我没换号 |
[27:16] | Alan, every lawsuit eventually comes down to a number. | Alan 每个案子最后都有个数字 |
[27:21] | What’s your number? | 你的是多少? |
[27:23] | $750,000. | 七十五万美元 |
[27:26] | And I’m the insane one. $250,000. | 我才是疯了的那个 二十五万美元 |
[27:28] | – Too low. – It’s more than fair. | – 太低了 – 这样很公平 |
[27:29] | – She got other employment. – At less pay. | – 她找到了其他的工作 – 赚得比以前少 |
[27:31] | – The present-day value of $200,000. – That offer is rejected, Christine. | – 现在的价值是二十万 – 那就不要和解了 Christine |
[27:39] | I don’t know if I’m up to closing. | 我不知道我会不会走到结案那步 |
[27:42] | I think I am, but I don’t… | 我相信我可以 但是 我不会… |
[27:45] | The client will only go up to $250,000. | 我的当事人最多给二十五万美元 |
[27:55] | Please. | 求求你了 |
[27:58] | That number won’t get it done, Christine. | 钱太少 不行 Christine |
[28:25] | A man with felony priors for robbery and burglary, | 一个有抢劫和盗窃重罪前科的人 |
[28:28] | but this time, he stole the wallet by mistake. | 但是这次却因为误会偷了钱包 |
[28:33] | Sure. | 就这样 |
[28:57] | One day, I was in my kitchen. | 某天 我在我家厨房 |
[29:00] | I think I was about 15. | 大概15岁的时候 |
[29:03] | And in came Fred, | Fred走过来 |
[29:05] | my big chocolate lab. | 我的棕色大拉布拉多犬 |
[29:07] | And in his mouth was a dead rabbit. | 它嘴里叼着个死兔子 |
[29:13] | The neighbors’ pet rabbit. | 是邻居家的兔子 |
[29:17] | And I thought, this is it for Fred. | 我想 Fred闯祸了 |
[29:20] | If they find out he killed their adored pet, | 如果他们发现 它杀了他们心爱的宠物 |
[29:24] | animal control would be down and… | 动物管理部门的人就会来… |
[29:28] | so I took the rabbit, | 所以 我把兔子 |
[29:31] | washed him off in the sink, | 在水里冲干净 |
[29:34] | pulled out the blow-dryer, got him all white and fluffy looking, | 用吹风机吹干 弄得白白净净 跟活的一样 |
[29:37] | and I snuck over to my neighbors’ backyard, | 然后偷偷溜进邻居的后院 |
[29:39] | and I put him back in the cage, | 把它放回笼子里 |
[29:41] | hoping they’d think he died of natural causes. | 希望他们觉得兔子是自然死亡的 |
[29:44] | That night, my parents came into my room. | 那晚 我父母来我的屋子里 |
[29:47] | The neighbors’ pet rabbit had died three days ago, they told me. | 他们告诉我 邻居家的兔子三天前就死了 |
[29:50] | They buried him in the woods, | 他们把它埋在灌木丛里 |
[29:52] | and some wacko evidently dug him up, | 但是有个变态把它挖出来 |
[29:55] | washed him off and put him back in the cage. | 洗干净 放回了笼子里 |
[30:00] | And I remember thinking to myself | 我当时就觉得 |
[30:02] | the truth is not only stranger than fiction, | 事实不仅比小说离奇 |
[30:06] | but often less believable. | 而且更难以置信 |
[30:09] | And that’s what we have here, ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们先生们 现在我们也面临这样的事 |
[30:12] | The logical version, I suppose, | 我想 在逻辑上 |
[30:14] | is that my client stole that wallet. | 我的当事人偷了钱包 |
[30:17] | The less believable, but quite possibly true account, | 虽然难以置信 但也许是事实 |
[30:20] | is that he mistook it for his own. | 他误以为是他自己的钱包 |
[30:23] | Nobody, not one of us, | 没人 在座没有一个 |
[30:25] | can be sure it didn’t happen | 可以保证事实和 |
[30:27] | exactly the way Ramone Valasquez said it did. | Ramone Valasquez说得不同 |
[30:33] | That’s reasonable doubt. | 怀疑是合理的 |
[30:57] | People like to stare at their coffee a lot here. | 很多人喜欢在这里对着咖啡发呆 |
[31:00] | All set? | 都准备好了? |
[31:02] | Yep. | 是 |
[31:04] | You like being a lawyer, Alan? | Alan 你喜欢做律师吗? |
[31:09] | I do, actually. You? | 很喜欢 你呢? |
[31:11] | Yeah. | 喜欢 |
[31:13] | Except for the days when the job is ugly, | 除了需要 |
[31:16] | when you have to go against your instincts to be kind or compassionate. | 昧着自己的仁慈和同情心做事 |
[31:23] | It’s important that she not close well. | 她的结案陈词能否顺利进行对我们非常重要 |
[31:30] | Some people simply cannot let go. | 有些人看不开 |
[31:33] | You love a person so desperately | 你如此的爱一个人 |
[31:36] | you, perhaps, lose sight of reason, | 你 也许 没有理由 |
[31:38] | and you begin to act unreasonably, | 行为反常 |
[31:40] | perhaps out of control, even. | 甚至失控 |
[31:42] | It’s possible Daniel Ralston hano control over his behavior. | 也许 Daniel Ralston没有控制好自己的行为 |
[31:45] | Maybe he truly couldn’t stop pursuing Wendy Moore. | 也许他真的还执着于Wendy Moore |
[31:49] | Maybe he had to keep calling, had to schedule those lunches, | 也许他不能控制自己打电话或是订餐 |
[31:54] | had to seemingly stalk her, if you will. | 亦或是想跟踪她 |
[31:56] | He was in love with her. | 他爱她 |
[31:59] | People in love lose their grip. | 陷入爱情的人总会失控 |
[32:02] | But what’s at issue here is her state of mind, her mental state. | 但是我们现在讨论的 是她的心境 她的精神状态 |
[32:06] | Not Mr. Ralston’s state of mind, | 不是Ralston先生的精神状态 |
[32:08] | but Wendy’s. | 而是Wendy的 |
[32:10] | Was she reasonably upset by this relentless pursuit? | 她活该被他无休止的骚扰吗? |
[32:14] | She’s a married woman with a family trying to salvage her marriage, | 她只是一个想挽救婚姻的已婚女人 |
[32:19] | and her boss keeps calling, keeps coming, keeps coming, | 而她的上司一直打电话 约她 |
[32:22] | keeps propositioning her. | 向她调情 |
[32:25] | The fact that she once loved this man | 事实上 她曾经爱这个男人 |
[32:26] | only makes it worse, more difficult. | 这只让情况更差 很糟糕 |
[32:29] | What choice did she really have but to leave? | 除了离开 她还能做什么呢? |
[32:33] | Maybe that was his plan all the time. | 也许这一直都在他的计划之内 |
[32:35] | He knew he couldn’t fire her. | 他知道自己不能开除她 |
[32:37] | Maybe that was his psychological game, | 也许这只是他的心理游戏 |
[32:40] | where the only thing that she could really do in the end | 而她最终能做的 |
[32:43] | was get in her car… | 就是 开车… |
[32:46] | and drive off. | 离开 |
[32:49] | He created a hostile working environment | 女士们先生们 他制造了一个充满敌意的工作环境 |
[32:53] | with repeated, unwelcomed sexual advances, ladies and gentlemen. | 不停的对她进行性示意 |
[32:58] | That is prima facie classic sexual harassment. | 这是典型的性骚扰 |
[33:29] | Love happens in the workplace all the time. | 职场爱情经常发生 |
[33:33] | In fact, it’s where most affairs start, most relationships. | 事实上 大多数婚外情就是在这里发生的 |
[33:39] | It happens. | 这种事经常发生 |
[33:41] | So do breakups. | 分手也是 |
[33:43] | As a woman, I am offended by the onslaught of these lawsuits. | 作为女人 我非常讨厌这样的诉讼案 |
[33:48] | As neutral as the language may be, | 就法律语言来说 |
[33:50] | sexual harassment law is gender biased | 反性骚扰法有性别歧视 |
[33:52] | it exists to protect women. | 她是用来保护妇女的 |
[33:55] | It feeds into the perception that women are weaker than. | 它反映了 妇女是弱势的那一方 |
[33:59] | It goes all the way back to common law, | 回到判例法 |
[34:00] | where women were denied the right to enter into contracts | 妇女不能和别人订立契约 |
[34:03] | because we lacked mental capacity. | 是因为没有民事行为能力 |
[34:06] | Today’s harassment law is designed to | 今天的反性骚扰法 |
[34:08] | protect us from sexual banter in the workplace | 是为了保护我们在职场中的性示好 |
[34:10] | because we just can’t take it. | 因为我们不能保护自己 |
[34:14] | I can take it. | 我可以保护自己 |
[34:16] | Can you? Can you? | 你能吗? 你能吗? |
[34:18] | Do we really need to cleanse the workplace of all sexual expression | 难道真的只有把职场中所有的性表现纯洁化 |
[34:21] | so it’ll be safe for us? | 我们就安全了吗? |
[34:23] | These laws treat us | 法律认定我们 |
[34:25] | as if we were either psychologically or emotionally impaired, | 要么在心理上受伤 要么在感情上受伤 |
[34:27] | and I’m sick of it. | 我相当讨厌这种做法 |
[34:30] | Are some cases legitimate? | 所有的案子都有法律依据吗? |
[34:31] | Absolutely. | 绝对不是 |
[34:33] | But here, this woman is a grownup. | 但在这里 这个女人是个成年人 |
[34:36] | She entered into an adult, consensual relationship with her boss. | 她心甘情愿与自己的上司发生婚外情 |
[34:40] | It ended, perhaps bumpy. | 也许最后不欢而散 |
[34:43] | He’s hurt, he’s still in love, so she sues. | 他受伤了 可他依旧爱着她 而她却把他告上法庭 |
[34:47] | She wasn’t fired. | 她不是被解雇的 |
[34:49] | She’s a college-educated vice-president of a brokerage firm. | 她是一个受过大学教育的经纪公司的副经理 |
[34:53] | She’s 34 years old. She’s a professional. | 她34岁 是专业人士 |
[34:56] | She’s here today to tell you that she can’t stick up for herself. | 她今天在这里是告诉你们 她不能为自己辩护 |
[34:59] | She is here today trying to take advantage of a law | 她今天在这里要利用把女性作为弱势群里的 |
[35:02] | that declares women to be the weaker sex. | 反性骚扰法的保护 |
[35:04] | Not for me, ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们先生们 我就不会这样 |
[35:06] | I wouldn’t have gotten in my car and driven off. | 我不会开着我的车逃走 |
[35:09] | I’d have sooner driven over him. | 我要开车碾过他 |
[35:12] | Let’s treat these people, | 让我们这样看待他们 |
[35:15] | both of them… | 双方当事人… |
[35:17] | as if they were grownups. | 把他们当做成年人 |
[35:32] | My own quick research reveals wild salmon, | 我对野生鲑鱼的调查数据 |
[35:35] | especially Atlantic salmon, | 特别是大西洋鲑鱼 |
[35:37] | are threatened with extinction. | 已濒临灭绝 |
[35:40] | They’re an endangered species, | 是一种濒临灭绝的物种 |
[35:42] | which means the environmental protections on that river have to stay in place. | 也就是说这条河仍在环境保护的范围之内 |
[35:46] | Your honor, they’re not endangered if you count the farmed salmon. | 法官大人 如果你把人工饲养鲑鱼算进去 它就不是濒临灭绝了 |
[35:49] | I’m not counting the farmed salmon, | 我不把人工饲养鲑鱼算进去 |
[35:51] | and the idea to count them is absurd. | 这种算法真是荒谬 |
[35:54] | That river stays protected. | 这条河需要保护 |
[35:56] | Your variance is officially pulled. | 你们的分歧正式结束 |
[35:58] | A permanent restraining order is now in effect. | 永久的法院限制令即时生效 |
[36:05] | I keep telling you, you talk too fast. | 我一直强调 你说话太快了 |
[36:06] | You talk too damn fast. | 说话太快了 |
[36:07] | “America first. We’re a synthetic country.” | “美国第一 我们是一个转基因国家” |
[36:09] | – What’s wrong with you? – The best man won in there. | – 你怎么了? – 胜者为王 |
[36:16] | You know, dad… | 爸爸… |
[36:18] | I’ve never really had a big trial to speak of. | 我从没打过这么大的案子 |
[36:22] | This is… | 这是… |
[36:24] | for the last 10 years or so, | 这十年来最大的案子 |
[36:27] | I’ve pretended to be you. | 我假装是你 |
[36:30] | Through college, law school, and… | 从大学 到法学院… |
[36:33] | I always felt like whenever I’d go into a courtroom, | 上庭的时候 |
[36:37] | I would kind of… | 我喜欢… |
[36:40] | channel you or something. | 模仿你 |
[36:43] | But this is the first time I actually felt it. | 这是我第一次真真切切地感受到 |
[36:50] | I was Donny Crane. | 我是Donny Crane |
[36:52] | Yes, you were. | 是 你是 |
[36:55] | Yes, you were. | 是 你是 |
[36:58] | In the matter of Moore vs. Ralston, | Moore诉Ralston一案 |
[37:01] | on the question of liability, we find in favor of the plaintiff. | 就责任来说 我们倾向于原告 |
[37:05] | We further order the defendant to pay damages in the amount of $125,000. | 判被告赔偿原告损失12.5万美元 |
[37:12] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, thank you for your time. | 陪审团的女士们和先生们 感谢你们的到来 |
[37:15] | You are discharged. | 庭审结束 |
[37:18] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[37:20] | I got my verdict anyway. | 不管怎么说 我得到支持了 |
[37:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[37:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[37:26] | Congratulations, Christine. You tried an excellent case. | 恭喜 Christine 表现很好 |
[37:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[37:31] | Alan… | Alan啊… |
[37:38] | I can and do accept that it’s over. | 我已经接受分手的事实了 |
[37:42] | The thing is, | 事情是 |
[37:43] | while I was institutionalized, the only person who wrote to me, | 当我被送进精神病院的时候 唯一给我写信 |
[37:47] | who came to visit me, who called me, | 来看望我 给我打电话的人 |
[37:50] | was you. | 是你 |
[37:52] | My world became quite 2-dimensional. | 我的世界被分成两半 |
[37:54] | There was the hospital and you, | 就是医院和你 |
[37:57] | and when I was suddenly faced with having to walk away | 当我突然意识到 自己该离开你和医院的时候 |
[38:01] | from both the hospital and you, it was more than I could. | 我发现自己无法适应 |
[38:09] | but I am going to make it. | 但我要面对它了 |
[38:13] | I have no doubt. | 毫无疑问 |
[38:16] | You tried an excellent case. | 你这个案子打得很不错 |
[38:23] | We should eat at that wonderful indian place sometime. | 有时间一起去吃印度餐吧 |
[38:27] | I’d like that. | 好 |
[38:38] | You don’t think she’ll go Glenn Close on you? | 你不觉得她会像Glenn Clsoe那样对你? |
[38:41] | No. | 不 |
[38:42] | Out of compulsive curiosity, | 仅出于好奇 |
[38:44] | I always befriend my most colorful ex-girlfriends. | 我总能和风姿卓越的前女友们成为朋友 |
[38:47] | Beautiful woman, Glenn Close. | 漂亮的女人 Glenn Close |
[38:50] | Always meant to have sex with her. | 想和她做爱 |
[38:53] | Well, I went with the rabbit. | 嗯 我找到兔子啦 |
[38:56] | Of what variety? | 什么类型的? |
[38:58] | I told an urban legend story for my closing. | 我在结案词里讲了一个都市传奇故事 |
[39:01] | Involved a rabbit. | 关于兔子的 |
[39:03] | – Got the jury right here. – And? | – 搞定了陪审 – 然后? |
[39:06] | They came back in 32 minutes. | 他们32分钟后回来了 |
[39:08] | Not guilty. | 宣判无罪 |
[39:09] | You’re kidding. | 你开玩笑呢 |
[39:10] | I thought we could celebrate… | 我想我们该庆祝一下… |
[39:12] | like rabbits. | 像兔子一样 |
[39:14] | Your hutch or mine? | 在你的窝里还是我的? |
[39:15] | 9:00, my hutch. Be there. | 九点 我的窝 不见不散 |
[39:18] | Sally Heep. | Sally Heep啊 |
[39:23] | Well, it seems we’re all winners today in court, in love. | 嗯 似乎我们在感情和庭审上双赢了 |
[39:28] | You didn’t win in court today. Remember? Your side lost. | 今天你上庭输了 记得吗? 你输了 |
[39:31] | Ooh, that’s right. | 喔 对 |
[39:36] | He was really something. | 他真的有一手 |
[39:38] | You should have seen him. | 你该见见他 |
[39:41] | May I ask, how does a man not see his son in 15 years? | 我可以问下 一个人怎么能15年不见自己的儿子? |
[39:45] | Uh, don’t start with me. | 呃 别跟我讲这个 |
[39:49] | I’m being curious, not judgmental. | 我只是好奇 不是评价 |
[39:55] | Is that who Denny Crane is? | Denny Crane是何许人也? |
[40:02] | He’s not my son. | 他不是我儿子 |
[40:06] | What do you mean, he’s not your son? | 什么意思 他不是你儿子? |
[40:10] | His mother slept me with a paternity suit. | 她妈因为父亲血缘诉讼案跟我上床 |
[40:13] | I settled. | 后来我付钱和解了 |
[40:15] | She came back about 10 years later with a guilty conscience | 十年后 她良心发现 |
[40:18] | and admitted that I wasn’t the father, just deep pockets. | 承认我不是他爸爸 只是棵摇钱树 |
[40:23] | But I like the kid, | 但是 我喜欢那个孩子 |
[40:27] | so I kept paying for his education and so forth. | 所以一直供他念书 |
[40:31] | Obviously, he doesn’t know. | 显然 他不知道 |
[40:33] | His mother said… | 他妈说… |
[40:35] | it would break his heart. | 这会伤他的心 |
[40:37] | He so liked being the son of Denny Crane. | 他喜欢当Denny Crane的儿子 |
[40:43] | Who wouldn’t? | 谁不喜欢? |
[40:46] | You’re not my father? | 你不是我爸爸? |
[40:55] | I’m not your son? | 我不是你儿子? |
[41:04] | I’m not your son. | 我不是你儿子 |
[41:10] | Not by blood. | 不是血缘上的 |
[41:12] | Then how? You didn’t raise me. | 然后? 你没有把我养育成人 |
[41:17] | Who’s my father? | 谁是我爸爸? |
[41:19] | You’ll have to discuss that with your mother. | 这个该和你妈妈讨论 |
[41:30] | – It’s all been a lie. – Hey… | – 一切都是骗局 – 嘿… |
[41:34] | What wasn’t a lie was your performance in that courtroom. | 你在庭上的表现不是骗局 |
[41:38] | You’re a hell of a lawyer. | 你是个很棒的律师 |
[41:42] | You did channel me. | 你确实很像我 |
[41:49] | I, I got to go. | 我 我要走了 |
[42:00] | Sir… | 先生… |
[42:03] | is it okay if I keep the name? | 我还可以叫这个名字吗? |
[42:07] | Of course. | 当然 |
[42:15] | Donny Crane. | Donny Crane啊 |