时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | Thank you for letting me take my practice test here. | 谢谢你让我在这里做模拟测验 |
[00:06] | Of course. It’s the MCAT. You need peace and quiet. | 当然了 这可是医学院入学考 你需要安静的空间 |
[00:09] | Plus, we get a little bonus time together. | 再说了 我们也能享受点二人世界 |
[00:12] | Bob, I’m here to study. | 鲍勃 我是来学习的 |
[00:15] | That was it. Bonus time’s over. | 好了 二人世界时间结束了 |
[00:17] | Did you have fun? | 玩得开心吗 |
[00:18] | I did. | 嗯 |
[00:19] | – Can I please take my test now? – Sure thing. | -我能开始做模拟测验了吗 -当然 |
[00:22] | Now, good luck, | 祝你好运 |
[00:23] | and break a tibia, which is a… | 跪断胫骨 这应该是… |
[00:28] | Leg bone. | 腿骨 |
[00:29] | There she is. She’s ready, folks. | 没错 她准备好了 伙计们 |
[00:31] | – Bob, please. – Right. You do that, | -鲍勃 拜托 -你开始吧 |
[00:33] | and I’ll keep myself busy for the next… | 我会在接下来… |
[00:36] | Three and a half hours. | 三个半小时 |
[00:37] | Really? I can’t even sit through a movie that long. | 真的吗 我连这么长的电影都看不下来 |
[00:41] | Bobby! | 鲍勃 |
[00:43] | Give me your credit card. | 把你的信用卡给我 |
[00:45] | That shady online poker site won’t accept mine. | 该死的网上赌博网站不接受我的卡 |
[00:48] | No, I told you to stay in your room. Vamoose. | 不行 我和你说了待在自己的房间的 快闪人 |
[00:50] | I’m not going anywhere. You can’t just lock me away | 我才不走呢 你不能把我像肯尼迪的傻侄子一样 |
[00:53] | like some goofy Kennedy cousin. | 锁在房间里 |
[00:56] | – Here. Go play your poker. – See? | -给 去玩牌吧 -看 |
[00:59] | Now, was that so hard? | 有这么难吗 |
[01:02] | *Luck, be a lady tonight* | *今晚做女人可真幸运* |
[01:08] | God, she’s so annoying. | 天 她可真烦人 |
[01:10] | How’s it going so far? | 目前进度怎么样 |
[01:14] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[01:17] | Now what? | 又怎么了 |
[01:18] | Oh, the dishwasher’s been acting up. | 洗碗机在工作 |
[01:19] | You want me to stop it? | 希望我去关掉吗 |
[01:22] | I’ll stop it. | 我去关掉 |
[01:28] | – That’s new. – Do you need my help? | -这还是头一回 -需要我帮助吗 |
[01:30] | Nope. Stay there, put your feet up. | 不用 你别动 把脚抬起来[认真] |
[01:33] | Seriously, put your feet up. | 说真的 把脚抬起来 |
[01:34] | The water’s headed your way. | 水往你那边去了 |
[01:38] | Somebody up there | 有人可是 |
[01:38] | doesn’t want you to be a doctor. | 不希望你成为医生呢 |
[01:41] | I-I’m assuming you’re giving me a look. | 我猜你现在应该是在看我 |
[01:43] | I’ll go grab some candles. | 我去拿点蜡烛 |
[01:45] | What the hell happened to the Wi-Fi? | 无线搞什么鬼 |
[01:47] | We got a situation out here. | 我们这边出了点状况 |
[01:49] | Oh, got one here, too. You just lost 600 bucks. | 这边也是 你刚输了600元 |
[01:53] | – How? – The game locked up. | -怎么可能 -游戏锁定了 |
[01:55] | You lost $600? | 你输了600 |
[01:57] | I had a good hand! | 我的牌很好啊 |
[01:59] | You’re why I drink, you know that? | 你是我酗酒的根源 知道吗 |
[02:01] | Well, right back at you! | 反弹 |
[02:03] | Here we go. There’s more than one way to skin an MCAT. | 好了 想要做医学入学考还是有很多办法的 |
[02:07] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[02:08] | Abishola? | 艾比希拉 |
[02:11] | Abishola? | 艾比希拉 |
[02:38] | Name all the bones in the human hand. | 说出手中所有骨头的名字 |
[02:40] | Scaphoid. | 舟状骨 |
[02:42] | Triquetrum. | 三角骨 |
[02:44] | Lunate. | 月骨 |
[02:46] | – “Um” Is not a bone! – Ow! Kemi. | -“呃”不是骨头 -凯米 |
[02:49] | The pain will condition you to be better. | 疼痛会激励你变得更好 |
[02:51] | Ask anyone. | 随你去问 |
[02:52] | Horse trainers, Catholic nuns, | 驯马人 天主教修女 |
[02:54] | my kitchen staff. | 我的厨房工具 |
[02:57] | When you study with Bob, have him use a wooden spoon. | 你和鲍勃一起学习的时候让他准备好一个木勺 |
[03:00] | Bob will not hit me. | 鲍勃不会打我的 |
[03:01] | He doesn’t have to. The flinch will jog your memory. | 他不需要 只要一缩就能激发你的记忆 |
[03:04] | I hope so. This is the section I scored the lowest on. | 希望吧 我在这一章的分数最低 |
[03:08] | “She looks too pretty, try to catch her.” | “她看上去太美了 试试去抓她” |
[03:12] | Thank you, Gloria. It’s a new smock. | 谢谢你 格洛里亚 头一回听到这种嘲讽 |
[03:14] | But please do not distract us. | 但是请不要打扰我们 |
[03:17] | It’s a mnemonic device to help you remember the bones. | 这是帮你记住骨头的一个口诀 |
[03:20] | “She looks too pretty, try to catch her.” | “她看上去太美了 试试去抓她” |
[03:24] | Scaphoid, lunate, | 舟状骨 月骨 |
[03:25] | triquetrum, pisiform, | 三角骨 豌豆骨 |
[03:27] | trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, hamate. | 梯形骨 四边骨 头状骨 钩骨[首字母] |
[03:32] | Americans have such cute phrases for everything. | 美国人真是有各种有趣的词组 |
[03:35] | “Click it or ticket.” | “不扣吃罚单” |
[03:37] | “Never shake a baby.” | “不要摇宝宝” |
[03:39] | How do you know this, Gloria? | 你怎么知道的 格洛里亚 |
[03:41] | I made up all kind of tricks like that | 我考医学入学考的时候 |
[03:42] | when I was studying for my MCAT. | 想了各种各样的窍门 |
[03:44] | You applied to medical school? | 你申请过医学院吗 |
[03:46] | Applied, got in and went. | 申请了 进了 读了 |
[03:49] | Then why are you not a doctor? | 那你为什么不是医生 |
[03:50] | Long story. | 说来话长了 |
[03:52] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[03:54] | Medical school can be difficult for some people. | 有的人可能在医学院读不下去 |
[03:57] | – What do you mean, “Some people”? – Well, not everyone | -什么叫有的人 -不是每个人 |
[03:59] | can withstand the workload Nigerians can. | 都能承受尼日利亚人才能承受的工作量 |
[04:02] | Here we go | 又来了 |
[04:03] | with the “Nigerians are better than everybody else” Crap. | “尼日利亚人比其他人牛逼”的鬼话 |
[04:06] | Only when it comes to working hard and applying themselves. | 在努力工作和适应上 确实如此 |
[04:09] | You have no idea what you’re talking about. | 你根本不知道自己在说什么 |
[04:11] | I’m talking about becoming a doctor, | 我在说要成为一名医生 |
[04:13] | an accomplishment I will achieve and some people cannot. | 我会实现这个目标 有的人实现不了 |
[04:19] | You are unbelievable. | 你真是令人难以置信 |
[04:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[04:27] | Which bone did I hit? Tell me. Tell me! | 我打到了哪块骨头 告诉我 告诉我 |
[04:33] | Rumor has it, you have a problematic dishwasher. | 据说你的洗碗机有问题 |
[04:36] | – How’d you know? – Abishola assumed that you could not | -你怎么知道的 -艾比希拉猜到你可能 |
[04:39] | repair it, so she asked me to come and help. | 修不好 所以让我来帮忙 |
[04:41] | I hope this does not make you feel inadequate. | 希望这部会让你觉得自己很无能 |
[04:44] | – No, why would it? – You see? | -不会的 我为什么会这么想 -瞧吧 |
[04:48] | I mean, you didn’t have to come by. | 你不用过来一趟 |
[04:49] | I was just gonna call a guy. | 我打算叫人了 |
[04:50] | Bob, I am the guy. | 鲍勃 我就是那个人 |
[04:53] | I have been called. | 我被叫来了 |
[04:59] | Oh, my. | 天呐 |
[05:00] | Yeah, it took a while, but I got the situation under control. | 对 花了我好一会 但控制住了 |
[05:04] | With towels. | 用毛巾 |
[05:06] | I didn’t say I fixed it. | 我没说我修好了 |
[05:08] | This is the pre-call-a-guy solution. | 这是叫人之前的办法 |
[05:11] | Don’t worry. Uncle Tunde is here. | 别担心 通德叔叔来了 |
[05:14] | Dele, set out the tools. | 德勒 备好工具 |
[05:16] | – Sorry you got roped into this. – It is a rope of guidance. | -抱歉你也上了这条船 -这是教导的船 |
[05:19] | He will not grow up to be a man | 他不会长大成人后 |
[05:21] | who, when something breaks, calls another man. | 当有东西坏掉时 还要叫另一个人来修 |
[05:26] | Again, really doesn’t bother me. | 重申一次 这没让我不好受 |
[05:29] | You see? | 你瞧 |
[05:37] | You really need to start watching | 你真该开始看 |
[05:39] | Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. | 《奎恩医生 女医生》了 |
[05:40] | It will help you with your studies. | 那有助于你的学习 |
[05:42] | – Ah, that’s a TV show. – Yes, but it is very realistic. | -那是电视剧 -对 但非常真实 |
[05:45] | It will teach you how to set a leg | 它会教你如何在移动的马车上 |
[05:46] | in a moving chuck wagon. | 接好骨折的腿 |
[05:50] | Why is Gloria sitting over there? | 格洛里亚什么坐在那 |
[05:52] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[05:54] | Our table is sticky but no more than usual. | 我们的桌子很黏 但跟平时一样 |
[06:00] | Hello, Gloria. | 你好 格洛里亚 |
[06:03] | This one is stickier. | 这张桌子更黏 |
[06:04] | Why would you sit at a stickier table? | 你为什么要坐在一张更黏的桌子上 |
[06:14] | It is unlikely that was coincidental. | 刚才那绝不可能是巧合 |
[06:17] | What’s going on? Did we miss her birthday? | 怎么回事 我们忘记了她的生日吗 |
[06:18] | No. She’s an Aquarius. | 不会 她是水瓶座 |
[06:20] | Even though right now she’s acting like a Pisces. | 虽然现在她表现得像双鱼座 |
[06:26] | Do we smell bad? | 我们身上臭吗 |
[06:28] | You smell fine. | 你闻着还行 |
[06:29] | And I smell like baked beans, | 我闻起来像烘烤的豆子 |
[06:31] | which people find comforting. | 人们觉得这味道安心 |
[06:34] | Well, clearly she does not want to sit with us. | 显然她不想和我们一起坐 |
[06:37] | Or one of us. | 或我们中的一人 |
[06:39] | Wait here. | 你等着 |
[06:53] | It is you. The problem is you. | 是你 问题是你 |
[07:02] | You guys want anything? | 你们想要点什么吗 |
[07:03] | Chips? Soda? I got everything | 薯片 汽水 我什么都有 |
[07:04] | but paper towels and clean plates. | 除了纸巾和干净盘子 |
[07:07] | I would like a soda. | 我想要瓶汽水 |
[07:09] | – Are you thirsty? – Yes. | -你渴了吗 -对 |
[07:11] | Good. | 很好 |
[07:12] | Use that. | 利用这股渴 |
[07:14] | No sodas until we are done. | 完工前不准喝汽水 |
[07:17] | Boy, you don’t mess around, do you? | 老天 你还真是很认真 对吧 |
[07:19] | No, Bob, I do not mess around. | 不 鲍勃 我很认真 |
[07:22] | I fix things. Things that other people break. | 我修东西 别人弄坏的东西 |
[07:25] | Often by messing around. | 通常是因为不认真 |
[07:28] | All I did was put in dirty dishes and press “Start.” | 我只是把脏盘子放到洗碗机里 然后按了开始 |
[07:32] | Did you rinse the dishes? | 你事先冲干净盘子了吗 |
[07:33] | Well, they say you don’t have to. | 他们说不用冲洗 |
[07:37] | Now I know you have to. | 现在我知道必须要冲洗了 |
[07:39] | When you respect a machine, it returns the respect. | 当你尊敬机器时 机器也会尊敬你 |
[07:42] | When the trust is broken… | 当这个信任破裂后 |
[07:44] | So is the machine. | 机器也会坏 |
[07:45] | Good. | 很好 |
[07:47] | Repairing something | 修理东西 |
[07:48] | connects us to its past and its future. | 让我们与其过去和未来相连 |
[07:51] | That is a lot of responsibility. | 这是很大的责任 |
[07:53] | I understand how that could make you afraid. | 我知道那为什么会让你害怕 |
[07:55] | I’m not afraid. | 我不害怕 |
[07:57] | Well, there are many other words for it. | 有很多其他替代的词语 |
[07:59] | Too busy, disengaged, | 太忙 太疏离 |
[08:00] | lazy. | 懒惰 |
[08:02] | They all boil down to afraid. | 最后归根结底都是害怕 |
[08:05] | Not the way I boil it. It’s just easier to call a guy. | 在我看来不是 只是叫人更容易 |
[08:08] | – Why? – ‘Cause it’s a pain in the ass | -为什么 -因为这事很烦人 |
[08:09] | and a waste of my time. | 还浪费我的时间 |
[08:11] | And you might fail at it. | 而且你可能修不好 |
[08:13] | Yeah. What do I know about fixing dishwashers? | 对 我对修洗碗机了解多少呢 |
[08:18] | More than you think. | 比你想象的多 |
[08:20] | Come here. | 过来 |
[08:21] | Dele, give him the screwdriver. | 德勒 把螺丝刀给他 |
[08:24] | What? | 搞什么 |
[08:26] | I see it now. | 我现在明白了 |
[08:27] | I am not here to fix a dishwasher. | 我来这不是为了修洗碗机 |
[08:29] | I am here to fix you. | 是为了修理你 |
[08:34] | How’s that soda? | 汽水怎么样 |
[08:36] | Very good. | 超好喝 |
[08:43] | Just tell me why you are angry. | 告诉我你为什么生气吧 |
[08:46] | The fact that you don’t even know | 你都不知道原因 |
[08:48] | is a big part of the why. | 这就是个大问题 |
[08:51] | Is that a riddle? | 这是个谜语吗 |
[08:53] | You know, you are being childish. | 你太幼稚了 |
[08:55] | First I don’t work hard enough. | 首先我不工作不够努力 |
[08:57] | Now I’m childish. | 现在我又幼稚 |
[08:58] | I can always count on you to tell me what I’m doing wrong. | 我总能指望你告诉我自己哪里做错了 |
[09:03] | Is that a clue to the riddle? | 这是谜语的提示吗 |
[09:06] | Here’s the clue. | 我给你个提示 |
[09:08] | This morning you said | 今天早上你说 |
[09:09] | I didn’t become a doctor ’cause I was lazy. | 我没成为医生是因为我太懒 |
[09:12] | Who wants to replace an aorta?! | 谁想置换一个主动脉瓣 |
[09:18] | Status? | 体征 |
[09:19] | Richard Gavins. Aortic valve replacement. | 理查德·盖文斯 主动脉瓣置换手术 |
[09:21] | Normal, no allergies. | 体征正常 无过敏史 |
[09:25] | It was wrong of me to boast about my ambitions. | 我就不应该跟你说我的雄心壮志 |
[09:29] | I should have anticipated that you might get jealous. | 我应该预料到你可能会嫉妒我 |
[09:32] | Jealous? Of what? | 嫉妒你 嫉妒什么 |
[09:34] | The rich fiancé you found to pay for your medical school? | 你找了个有钱的未婚夫给你出医学院学费吗 |
[09:38] | – Excuse me? – You heard what I said. | -你说什么 -你听见我说什么了 |
[09:41] | – Bob has nothing to do with my decision. – Really? | -鲍勃和这事没关系 -真的吗 |
[09:43] | I didn’t see you applying last year. | 我去年怎么没见你报名 |
[09:46] | Oh, congratulations on receiving | 恭喜你获得了 |
[09:47] | the “Sleeping with the Sock Man” Scholarship. | “和袜子男睡觉” 奖学金 |
[09:52] | Are you two done? | 你们两个完事没有 |
[09:55] | We are done. | 我们完了 |
[09:57] | Scalpel. | 手术刀 |
[09:59] | Careful. It’s sharp. | 小心点 锋利得很 |
[10:09] | The bolt isn’t moving. | 螺栓拧不动 |
[10:11] | It was designed to stay in place. | 它的工作原理就是要保持不动 |
[10:14] | It is only doing its job. | 它只是在做本职工作而已 |
[10:15] | Well, it’s better at its job than I’m at mine. | 那它比我称职得多 |
[10:18] | The fight is not over until one side concedes. | 战斗永远不会结束 除非一方先认输了 |
[10:24] | Tunde, I could listen to you talk forever. | 通德 我特别喜欢听你说话 |
[10:27] | You’re like the Nigerian James Earl Jones. | 你简直是尼日利亚版的詹姆斯·厄尔·琼斯 |
[10:31] | Thank you. Dottie, | 谢谢 多蒂 |
[10:33] | I am your uncle. | 我是你叔叔 |
[10:35] | Look! Goosebumps! | 看啊 起鸡皮疙瘩了 |
[10:38] | I wish I had the patience to fix things. | 我希望我也有这个耐心去修东西 |
[10:40] | I’m just gonna say it. | 我干脆直说了 |
[10:42] | I’m a quitter. I’m a big, fat quitter. | 我这人有始无终 我这人半途而废 |
[10:46] | Most people quit because they are overwhelmed. | 大部分人半途而废是因为他们觉得难以承受 |
[10:50] | Stop focusing on the task ahead. | 不要把目光集中在没完成的任务上 |
[10:52] | Instead, look at what you have already accomplished. | 恰恰相反 看看你已经完成的 |
[10:57] | Such wise words while I’m feeling so vulnerable. | 在我脆弱的时候听见这么睿智的语言 |
[11:00] | You’d be a great cult leader. | 你能当个很棒的邪教领袖 |
[11:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[11:04] | Tunde, i just got to say, I am learning more from you today | 通德 我跟你说 我今天从你这里学到的 |
[11:07] | than I have from any of my seven life coaches. | 比我从我之前的七个人生教练那里学到的都多 |
[11:11] | Life coach? | 人生教练 |
[11:13] | Is that a real job? | 真的有这种职业吗 |
[11:15] | No. | 没有 |
[11:19] | Here. Take this. | 给 拿着这个 |
[11:20] | It’ll help with your grip. | 它可以帮你拧得更紧 |
[11:21] | Tell Uncle you figured it out on your own. | 跟叔叔说你是自己琢磨出来的 |
[11:23] | Thanks. Is he always like this? | 谢谢 他一直是这样吗 |
[11:25] | Yes. I’m so glad you’re in the family now. | 是的 我很开心你也是我们家的一份子了 |
[11:31] | Abishola’s calling. | 艾比希拉的电话 |
[11:32] | Is she? Or are you just going to stand in the garage again? | 是吗 还是你要跑到车库去偷懒 |
[11:36] | It’s real this time. | 这次是真的 |
[11:40] | – Hey. – How’s it going? | -嗨 -你那边怎么样 |
[11:41] | Are you going to help me pay | 你打算帮我 |
[11:42] | for medical school? | 付医学院学费吗 |
[11:43] | I mean, sure, if you need me to. | 当然 如果你需要的话 |
[11:45] | You think I need you to? | 你觉得我需要吗 |
[11:47] | – Do you? – No! | -你需要吗 -不 |
[11:48] | Why would you say that? | 你为什么要这么说 |
[11:50] | I didn’t say anything! | 我什么都没说 |
[11:51] | I will never need your money, Bob. | 我不会要你的钱的 鲍勃 |
[11:53] | The only reason I agreed to marry you is because I love you. | 我同意嫁给你的唯一原因是我爱你 |
[11:56] | Nothing else! | 仅此而已 |
[11:57] | Well, I love you, too! | 我也爱你 |
[11:59] | What is going on? | 到底出什么事了 |
[12:00] | I have to go. | 我得挂了 |
[12:05] | He was struggling so much. | 他那么痛苦 |
[12:06] | I had to help him. | 我得帮帮他 |
[12:08] | I know it is hard to watch, | 我知道你不忍心看 |
[12:10] | but we must let Bob fail over and over again | 但是我们必须让鲍勃一次又一次跌倒 |
[12:13] | until he learns to be a man. | 然后他才能成为一个真男人 |
[12:16] | Sorry, honey. It’s still a little loud in here. | 抱歉 宝贝 这里还是太吵了 |
[12:18] | I’m gonna finish this in the garage. | 我去车库接着讲 |
[12:27] | There you are. | 你在这里 |
[12:29] | Which days would you say you are most fun to talk to? | 哪几天跟你聊天是比较有趣的 |
[12:33] | What? | 什么 |
[12:34] | I’m dividing up my lunch calendar | 现在你和格洛里亚的友谊已经结束了 |
[12:35] | between you and Gloria now that your friendship is dead. | 我正在计划我分别和你们吃午餐的日程 |
[12:38] | It is not dead. | 并没有结束 |
[12:40] | The only chance of saving it is if you are | 唯一能够挽救你们俩友谊的方法 |
[12:42] | the bigger person and apologize. | 就是你大度一些跟她道歉 |
[12:45] | So, which days do you want? | 那么你想选哪几天 |
[12:47] | Maybe Gloria is the one who should be the bigger person. | 也许格洛里亚应该大度一些 |
[12:50] | That is how it usually works. | 通常是这样的 |
[12:52] | You insult her, | 你侮辱了她 |
[12:53] | she forgives you. | 她原谅你 |
[12:54] | You insult her again, she forgives you again. | 你再次侮辱她 她再次原谅你 |
[12:57] | But today | 但是今天 |
[12:58] | you insulted her, and for some reason | 你侮辱了她 因为某种原因 |
[12:59] | she decided to insult you back. | 她决定要回击侮辱你 |
[13:02] | So interesting. | 太有意思了 |
[13:04] | Anyway, let’s look at the calendar. | 管她呢 来看看日历吧 |
[13:07] | I do not care when we have lunch together. | 我不在乎我们哪天一起吃饭 |
[13:10] | Such a Monday attitude. | 典型的星期一状态 |
[13:14] | But we fight, | 我们吵架 |
[13:15] | and our friendship does not end. | 但是我们的友谊并不会结束 |
[13:17] | Abishola, not everybody has my rare combination | 艾比希拉 不是每个人都像我一样 |
[13:20] | of grace and patience. | 集优雅和容忍于一身的 |
[13:24] | I know you know this, | 我知道你明白这些 |
[13:25] | but you are extremely lucky to have me as a friend. | 但是你有我这样的朋友真是无比的幸运 |
[13:33] | Auntie! | 阿姨 |
[13:34] | Is this where the party is at? | 派对在这里办的吗 |
[13:35] | – Do I smell ogbono? – You do. | -我闻到山药芒果汤了吗 -没错 |
[13:37] | Then this is definitely where the party’s at. | 那派对确实是在这里办的 |
[13:40] | I hear Tunde has kept you very busy. | 我听说通德给你安排不少活儿干 |
[13:42] | Yeah, a handyman would’ve come and gone in under an hour, | 是啊 虽然杂工一个小时就可以做好 |
[13:45] | but where’s the fun in that? | 但那还有什么乐趣呢 |
[13:47] | He has been doing all his own repairs for years. | 他自己维修东西已经很多年了 |
[13:50] | Yeah, that came up. | 是啊 他提过这事 |
[13:52] | It has been very hard on him to have to step back. | 退居幕后对他来说不太好受 |
[13:54] | – What do you mean? – His arthritis is getting worse. | -什么意思 -他的关节炎越来越严重了 |
[13:57] | He didn’t tell me that. | 他没跟我说过 |
[13:59] | And you will not tell him I told you. | 而你也不准告诉他是我说的 |
[14:00] | Of course not. | 当然不会 |
[14:01] | You did a good thing today. | 你今天做了件好事 |
[14:03] | it was my pleasure. | 我的荣幸 |
[14:04] | So sweet of you to act so helpless. | 你故作没用的样子真的很贴心 |
[14:07] | I mean, any idiot can fix a dishwasher. | 我是说 随便一个傻蛋都能修洗碗机 |
[14:14] | All right, now it’s starting to bother me. | 好吧 我现在有点烦了 |
[14:34] | These are for you. | 给你的 |
[14:38] | Insoles? | 鞋垫 |
[14:39] | For your shoes. | 给你鞋的 |
[14:41] | I notice you take them off under the desk | 我注意到你经常在桌下脱鞋 |
[14:43] | because they hurt your feet. | 因为穿着不舒服 |
[14:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:48] | Plus, they have an odor-eater, | 而且 里面还有除臭剂 |
[14:50] | so I will no longer notice when you take off your shoes. | 这样你脱鞋的时候 我也不会注意到了 |
[14:54] | Boy, you are terrible at apologizing. | 天啊 你真是不会道歉 |
[14:57] | I am. | 确实 |
[15:00] | Well, I didn’t mean what I said about you and the sock man. | 我说你和袜子男的那话并不是那个意思 |
[15:04] | Don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[15:06] | Bob will pay for nothing. | 鲍勃不会在意 |
[15:08] | The crippling debt will be mine alone. | 只有我一个人负重前行 |
[15:11] | I don’t want that. | 我不想这样 |
[15:12] | I want you to succeed. | 我想要你成功 |
[15:18] | I’m sorry you did not become a doctor. | 我很遗憾你没有成为一个医生 |
[15:23] | I wanted to be a doctor since I was four years old. | 我从四岁就想当一个医生了 |
[15:26] | My parents thought I was crazy. | 我父母以为我疯了 |
[15:28] | Nobody in our family had gone to college, | 我家没人上过大学 |
[15:30] | let alone medical school. | 更别说医学院了 |
[15:32] | But I wasn’t gonna let that stop me. | 我才不会因此放弃 |
[15:37] | I graduated at the top of my class. | 我以全班第一名的成绩毕业 |
[15:40] | You couldn’t tell me nothing. | 谁都别想拦我 |
[15:44] | Where did you go to medical school? | 你在哪儿读的医学院 |
[15:46] | Well, Meharry and Howard were really the only two places | 梅哈里医学院和霍华德大学是唯二会录取黑人的学校 |
[15:49] | taking Black folks, but my family needed me close by. | 但我家人想要我就近读书 |
[15:54] | So you stopped. | 所以你放弃了 |
[15:56] | Nope. I kicked so much butt in a post-graduate program, | 没有 我在一个研究生项目中脱颖而出 |
[16:00] | even the white schools couldn’t ignore me anymore. | 这下白人学校也没法无视我的存在 |
[16:06] | My parents started calling me Dr. Gloria. | 我父母开始叫我格洛里亚医生 |
[16:09] | I was on my way. | 我很顺利 |
[16:12] | In med school, I was the only Black woman in my class. | 在医学院的时候 我是班上唯一一个黑人女性 |
[16:15] | They just assumed I got in to fill a quota. | 他们觉得我是靠优惠政策进来的 |
[16:18] | Didn’t matter I was one of the smartest people there. | 才不管我是那里最聪明的人之一 |
[16:21] | And what happened? | 那之后怎么样了 |
[16:23] | Well, I wanted to be a surgeon, | 我想成为一名外科医生 |
[16:26] | but back then they didn’t take too kindly | 但那时候 他们都不太容忍 |
[16:28] | to Black folks cutting on people. | 让一个黑人来开刀 |
[16:31] | so then you stopped? | 然后你就放弃了 |
[16:33] | Nope. I pivoted. | 没 我随机应变 |
[16:37] | Family medicine. | 家庭医生 |
[16:40] | And I was starting a family of my own. | 然后我拥有了自己的家庭 |
[16:44] | I was ready to be the breadwinner. | 我已经做好了养家糊口的准备 |
[16:47] | All I needed was a place to do my residency. | 只需要找个地方去完成住院实习 |
[16:52] | I’m guessing there weren’t a lot of places | 我猜没有多少地方 |
[16:54] | that took Black residents. | 会招黑人住院医师 |
[16:56] | You’re catching on. | 你还挺上道 |
[16:58] | But I tried again. And again. | 但我试了一次 又一次 |
[17:00] | And in 1987, I matched. | 然后在1987年 我找到了 |
[17:03] | Detroit Memorial Hospital. | 底特律纪念医院 |
[17:05] | That’s wonderful. | 太棒了 |
[17:07] | It would have been. | 理应如此 |
[17:10] | But people were leaving Detroit in droves. | 但当时人们正在逃离底特律 |
[17:12] | And before I could start, the hospital closed. | 在我开始前 医院倒闭了 |
[17:17] | Had a family and needed a job. | 有了家庭 急需工作 |
[17:20] | I became a nurse. | 我就成了名护士 |
[17:22] | I’m so sorry. | 我很遗憾 |
[17:25] | I cannot believe you did all that work for nothing. | 难以置信你的一切努力都付之东流了 |
[17:28] | No, it wasn’t for nothing. | 不 也不是完全没用 |
[17:30] | It cleared the path so it’s easier | 它为后人 |
[17:33] | for the folks coming behind. | 扫清了道路 |
[17:36] | Like I said, | 正如我所说 |
[17:38] | I want you to succeed. | 我希望你成功 |
[17:51] | 另一天 麦克斯多特 | |
[17:54] | I can’t get the damn thing to start. | 这该死的东西怎么也发动不起来 |
[17:55] | Without the forklift, we’re screwed. | 没有铲车 我们就完蛋了 |
[17:58] | – Why didn’t you call a guy? – I did. | -你为什么不叫人 -我叫了 |
[18:00] | You are the guy, Tunde. | 就是你 通德 |
[18:02] | I am the guy. | 我就是那个人 |
[18:04] | Uh, this is Goodwin and Kofo. | 这是古德温和科福 |
[18:06] | E karo, sir. | 你好 先生 |
[18:07] | E karo, Uncle. | 你好 叔叔 |
[18:08] | You’re not gonna believe this, | 你不会相信这个 |
[18:09] | but they’re almost as helpless as I was. | 但他们几乎和我一样没用 |
[18:12] | I noticed their bows were very lackluster. | 我发现他们鞠躬的幅度很小 |
[18:15] | Not a good sign. | 不是个好兆头 |
[18:19] | Oh, so you can do it right. | 原来你们会鞠躬啊 |
[18:23] | Are you sure it’s not gonna start? | 你确定这没法发动吗 |
[18:24] | Positive. We pulled the ignition wire. | 当然 我们拔掉了点火线 |
[18:28] | What is that in your hand? | 你手里的是什么 |
[18:31] | A wire? | 线 |
[18:32] | No. It is an opportunity. | 不 是机会 |
[18:37] | Come. | 来 |
[18:37] | Sit at my feet. | 坐在我脚边 |
[18:40] | You heard him. | 你们听到了 |
[18:44] | Well, uh, good luck, you two. | 祝你俩好运 |
[18:45] | And remember, no sodas till you’re done. | 记住 没搞定前不准喝饮料 |
[18:52] | Scoot! Scoot! | 来呀 来呀 |