时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Uh, one dumpling left. Who wants it? | 还剩一个饺子 谁要吃 |
[00:06] | Maybe you should offer it to the pregnant lady. | 或许你该让给怀孕的那位女士 |
[00:09] | And that would be… | 那位女士是… |
[00:14] | Me, Sheldon. | 我啊 谢尔顿 |
[00:14] | I’m obviously pregnant. | 我孕相多明显啊 |
[00:16] | Well, you never said it to my face. | 因为你还没当面跟我说过 |
[00:18] | And the last time I assumed a woman was pregnant, | 而我上一次想当然地认定一名女士怀孕时 |
[00:20] | it did not go over well. | 结果还挺糟糕的 |
[00:21] | Yeah, I’m still mad at you. | 没错 我还在生你气呢 |
[00:25] | You were drinking water instead of wine. | 你这酒鬼当时居然在喝白开水 |
[00:27] | What was I supposed to think? | 我这么想能怪我吗 |
[00:30] | Sheldon’s right. | 谢尔顿说得对 |
[00:31] | I would never ask a woman if she was pregnant, | 我永远不会问一个女士是不是怀孕 |
[00:33] | unless she tells me or I see a human being | 除非是她告诉我 或是我看到有人类 |
[00:36] | wiggling out of her. | 从她下面被拉出来 |
[00:39] | Well, Sheldon, I’m pregnant. | 谢尔顿 我怀孕了 |
[00:41] | Congratulations. How far along are you? | 恭喜你啊 怀孕多久了 |
[00:43] | About three months. | 大概三个月吧 |
[00:45] | Only three? | 才三个月吗 |
[00:48] | Good gravy, how many babies are in there? | 天啊 你肚子里是装的是几胞胎啊 |
[00:52] | Okay, let’s talk about something | 够啦 咱们来聊一些 |
[00:53] | that won’t infuriate my pregnant wife. | 不会让我的孕妻暴怒的话题吧 |
[00:57] | I read an interesting fact about elephants. | 我读了一个有关大象的有趣知识 |
[00:59] | Try again. | 再换一个 |
[01:02] | Oh, I’ve got something. | 我想到啦 |
[01:03] | I’m being interviewed on public radio this Friday. | 这周五我要接受电台访谈啦 |
[01:06] | Oh, cool. How come? | 厉害 为什么呢 |
[01:07] | Uh, the university is trying to get more funding | 大学希望物理系能获得 |
[01:09] | for the physics department, | 更多研究资金 |
[01:10] | so they want me to go out and talk it up. | 所以就派我出马啊 |
[01:12] | Really? You? | 真的吗 派你啊 |
[01:17] | Well, they picked the right person for the job. | 那他们还真是请对人了 |
[01:20] | Thank you. | 真是谢谢啊 |
[01:22] | I think he bought it. | 我觉得他信了 |
[01:50] | Hi, I’m Ira Flatow, and this is Science Friday. | 欢迎收听《科学星期五》 我是艾拉·菲莱 |
[01:53] | Joining me today is my guest physicist, Dr. Leonard Hofstadter, | 今天的嘉宾是物理学家莱纳德·霍夫斯塔德 |
[01:57] | to talk about all of the exciting research | 他要来跟我们聊他在加州理工 |
[01:59] | they’re doing at Cal Tech. | 所做的那些激动人心的研究 |
[02:01] | Thank you for having me. Whoa… | 感谢贵节目给我这个机会… |
[02:03] | Could never get used to hearing myself in headphones. | 还是没办法习惯在耳机里听到自己的声音 |
[02:05] | Is that really how I sound? | 我的声音听起来真是这样吗 |
[02:08] | It is. It is. | 是的 真是 |
[02:09] | That is good to know. | 很高兴知道这点 |
[02:13] | I told him his voice was annoying. | 我跟他说过他的声音很惹人厌 |
[02:14] | He didn’t want to listen. | 他就是不听 |
[02:16] | Hey. | 喂 |
[02:17] | You’re saying it’s not? | 难道你觉得不烦人吗 |
[02:19] | Just… | 就… |
[02:21] | hey. | 喂… |
[02:23] | So, it has been five years | 所以打从五年前 |
[02:24] | since the discovery of the Higgs boson– | 希格斯玻色子被证实存在后 |
[02:26] | what’s the next big thing gonna be? | 您觉得下一个科学界大事是什么 |
[02:29] | Wow, that’s hard to say. | 这很难说啊 |
[02:30] | There’s so much going on. | 有太多大事在发生了 |
[02:31] | We’ve been collecting tons of data | 我们一直在搜集大量的数据 |
[02:33] | that could revolutionize the way we understand the universe. | 而这数据有可能颠覆我们对宇宙的理解 |
[02:36] | For instance, there’s a particle called a squark, | 比如说 有个粒子叫超对称性夸克 |
[02:38] | which could prove supersymmetry. | 它能证明超对称性 |
[02:40] | That is interesting. Have you found it? | 有意思 那你们找到了吗 |
[02:42] | – What, the squark? – Yes. | -什么 这个夸克吗 -对啊 |
[02:43] | No, no. | 没 还没 |
[02:46] | Wouldn’t that be exciting? | 找到就是神作了 |
[02:49] | But we’re also looking for the selectron, | 但我们也在试着找出超电子 |
[02:51] | the gluino and the neutralino. | 胶微子与超中微子 |
[02:51] | 都是理论物理学家提出的物理模型中假想的一些粒子 基本没有切实的实验依据 很可能并不存在 | |
[02:53] | – Well, and have you found that? – No. | -那找到那些了吗 -没有 |
[02:56] | Another fun sidenote– | 插个有趣小故事 |
[02:57] | I went to high school with a girl named Theresa Gluino, | 我有个高中同学名叫特丽莎·胶微子 |
[03:00] | but it didn’t cost $2 billion to find her. | 但要找到她并不需要花20亿 |
[03:03] | She was smoking behind the gym. | 她总躲在体育馆后面抽着烟 |
[03:07] | So, what have you found? | 那你们发现了什么 |
[03:09] | Uh, nothing, actually. | 其实什么都没发现 |
[03:10] | Should he be saying that? | 他可以说这话吗 |
[03:12] | Uh, probably not. | 应该不可以 |
[03:13] | Yeah, this is public radio. | 对啊 这可是公共电台 |
[03:15] | Doesn’t he realize that dozens of people might hear him? | 难道他不知道”还有人”在听广播节目吗 |
[03:20] | But I remain confident. | 但我还是很有信心 |
[03:22] | We’ve got the best equipment and the best minds | 我们有最好的仪器与最顶尖的科研人员 |
[03:24] | all working on it. | 一起在努力着呢 |
[03:26] | Okay, sounds like he’s back on track. | 还好 感觉他把场救回来了 |
[03:28] | Although, some days I’m, like, ugh… | 虽然有时候我会觉得… |
[03:30] | we’ve spent so much money. | 我们花了好多好多钱啊 |
[03:32] | Why haven’t we found anything? What are we doing? | 怎么屁都没找到 我们是在干嘛啊 |
[03:40] | Oh, boy. | 哎妈 |
[03:45] | There’s Leonard. | 莱纳德来了 |
[03:46] | I’ll bet he’s having a rough day. | 估计他今天很不好过 |
[03:48] | Let’s just try to be supportive. | 我们尽量表达支持吧 |
[03:50] | Supportive? | 支持他个鬼 |
[03:51] | He publicly maligned the love of my life, | 他公开诋毁了我一生挚爱 |
[03:53] | Lady Physics. | 物理女士 |
[03:56] | You might not want to mention that to Lady Fiancee. | 这挚爱最好别让你的未婚妻女士知道 |
[04:00] | Hey, guys. | 大家好 |
[04:01] | Hey, how’s it going? | 今天好吗 |
[04:06] | What? You got something to say? | 怎么 你有什么话想说吗 |
[04:08] | I think I just said it. | 我刚才已经说了啊 |
[04:11] | P-f-f. | 口不一 |
[04:14] | Pff! | 呸 |
[04:18] | Look, I-I was just speaking the truth. | 我当时只是实话实说啊 |
[04:20] | We’re scientists– isn’t that what we’re supposed to do? | 我们是科学家 不应该用事实说话吗 |
[04:23] | Oh, what would you know about the truth? | 你懂个大西瓜的事实啊 |
[04:24] | You thought Phantom Menace was “Not half bad.” | 你还觉得《星球大战I 魅影危机》很不错呢 |
[04:29] | I told you that in confidence! | 你怎么可以泄密 |
[04:32] | Okay, calm down. Everybody just cool it. | 大家冷静 别吵架了 |
[04:35] | No, let ’em go. If we get lucky, | 别拦着啊 要是我们运气好 |
[04:36] | maybe one of them will start crying. | 说不定他们俩能有人吵哭呢 |
[04:39] | Uh, can we just drop this and have lunch like adults? | 能不能不聊这个 像成年人一样地吃午饭 |
[04:43] | – Fine. – Very well. | -行 -好吧 |
[04:46] | – Leonard? – What? | -莱纳德 -怎么了 |
[04:48] | Pff! | 呸 |
[04:53] | You ready for lunch? | 准备好去吃饭了吗 |
[04:54] | Oh, one second. | 马上就好 |
[04:56] | Ooh, someone’s got a lot of fancy new lab equipment. | 某人这里多了好多新的酷炫设备啊 |
[04:59] | I know. | 对啊 |
[05:00] | The university has been throwing money at my study. | 大学给我的研究投了好多钱呢 |
[05:03] | With any luck, | 运气好的话 |
[05:03] | there’ll be a brain disease with my name on it. | 以后说不定能有脑疾病用我名字为名呢 |
[05:06] | Fingers crossed. | 两指交叉为你祈祷 |
[05:08] | Which is ironic, because if you had Fowler’s palsy, | 讽刺的是 如果你患上了福勒瘫 |
[05:10] | you wouldn’t be able to cross your fingers. | 你的手将无法两指交叉 |
[05:14] | I’m surprised Sheldon’s not up here playing | 我很意外谢尔顿居然不来这里 |
[05:16] | with all your new toys. | 玩你的新玩具 |
[05:18] | Actually, I haven’t told him about it. | 其实我还没告诉他呢 |
[05:20] | We’ve been getting so much more funding than physics, | 我们这边获得的经费比物理那边多太多 |
[05:22] | he’s been a little sensitive. | 他对此略为敏感 |
[05:24] | So you’re just gonna hide your success from him? | 所以你就对他隐瞒了你的成功吗 |
[05:26] | I know. | 我知道不好 |
[05:27] | – Am I terrible? – No. | -我是不是太坏了 -不会啊 |
[05:30] | I do that, too. | 我也这么做 |
[05:33] | How he thought my company retreat was in Boise? | 不然他怎么会以为我的公司年会在博伊西 |
[05:36] | It was in Tahiti. | 其实在塔希提岛 |
[05:38] | That’s such a relief. | 那我就松一口气了 |
[05:40] | I mean, part of me was worried I was being unfair to Sheldon. | 我内心曾隐隐觉得这样对谢尔顿有失公允 |
[05:43] | Take that part of yourself and hide it away. | 将你的恻隐之心藏起来 |
[05:45] | Just like I did with last year’s bonus check | 就像我藏起我去年 |
[05:47] | that I “didn’t get.” | “并没发”的奖金支票 |
[05:54] | Ms. Davis, you wanted to see me? | 戴维斯女士 你有事找我吗 |
[05:55] | Yes, Dr. Hofstadter, come on in. | 是的 霍夫斯塔德博士 快进来 |
[05:58] | Should I sit or stand? | 我是该坐下还是站着 |
[06:00] | I’m not used to being called into the dean’s office. | 我没被召进过主任办公室 不懂规矩 |
[06:02] | Please, sit. | 请坐 |
[06:04] | I have to say I’m a little nervous. | 不得不说 还真是有点紧张啊 |
[06:06] | You should be. | 应该的 |
[06:09] | Look, I know I screwed up, | 我知道我搞砸了 |
[06:11] | but it was only one interview. | 但就是一次访谈而已 |
[06:13] | How much damage could it have caused? | 能对学校造成多大的损害呢 |
[06:15] | Would you like for me to read you the e-mails | 你想听我念念收到的邮件吗 |
[06:17] | from donors asking why are they giving us money | 学校的捐助者们都在问如果物理是条死路 |
[06:19] | if physics is a dead end? | 那给咱们捐钱的意义何在 |
[06:21] | I didn’t say it was a dead end. | 我可没说物理是条死路 |
[06:23] | I just said that I was worried it might be. | 我只是说我担心可能会这样 |
[06:26] | So if I just said I was worried | 那如果我说我担心 |
[06:28] | you might not have a job next week, | 你可能下周就要失业了 |
[06:29] | how would you feel? | 你感觉怎么样 |
[06:33] | Light-headed, and glad you asked me to sit down. | 头晕 还好你让我先坐下 |
[06:37] | Okay, just tell me what I can do. | 好吧 你就说我该怎么做吧 |
[06:39] | I’m gonna need you to make a statement | 我要你发表一份声明 |
[06:40] | saying that you misspoke, and that you’re confident | 说自己言论有失 并且你坚信 |
[06:43] | the physics community is close to a major breakthrough. | 物理学界即将迎来一个重大突破 |
[06:47] | You want me to lie. | 你想让我撒谎 |
[06:50] | Look, Dr. Hofstadter, I’m counting on you. | 听着 霍夫斯塔德博士 我就指望你了 |
[06:52] | I think that you are the smartest physicist at this university. | 我认为你是本校最聪明的物理学家 |
[06:58] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[06:58] | See? Lies. They’re not that hard. | 瞧 撒谎一点都不难 |
[07:11] | Looks like you’ve been busy. | 感觉某人今天很用功啊 |
[07:13] | Oh, I have. | 是啊 |
[07:14] | Uh, dark matter, uh, reconciling gravity and quantum mechanics. | 暗物质 调和广义相对论与量子力学的矛盾 |
[07:19] | Supersymmetry. | 超对称性 |
[07:20] | I’ve figured out the biggest problems in physics today. | 我已经搞清了当今物理界最大的几个难题 |
[07:23] | Wow, you solved them all? | 你都解出来了吗 |
[07:26] | No, I just, I figured out that they’re the biggest problems. | 不 我只是清楚知道了它们是最大的难题 |
[07:31] | Is this about what Leonard said on the radio? | 是因为莱纳德在电台上说的话吗 |
[07:33] | Absolutely not. | 当然不是 |
[07:34] | And I do not want to talk about Leonard. | 我也不想谈论莱纳德 |
[07:36] | Can we please just talk about anything else? | 我们能谈点别的事情吗 |
[07:38] | We could talk about my day. | 我们可以谈谈我的一天 |
[07:40] | Walked right into that one, didn’t I? | 我真是自己挖坑自己跳 对吧 |
[07:44] | Well, since you sort of asked, | 既然你勉强算是问了 |
[07:46] | I actually had a very good day. | 我今天其实过得非常开心 |
[07:47] | Got some new equipment for my lab. | 我的实验室多了不少新设备 |
[07:51] | Well, congratulations. | 那恭喜你啊 |
[07:53] | I got some new equipment, too. | 我也有新设备 |
[07:56] | I got these markers. | 这些马克笔 |
[07:59] | They smell like fruit. | 水果味的哦 |
[08:01] | Which I did not notice when I bought them. | 我买的时候完全没有注意到 |
[08:03] | Don’t really care for it. | 我一点也不喜欢 |
[08:08] | Here, drink this. | 给 喝这个 |
[08:10] | It might help. | 或许会有帮助 |
[08:12] | What if it doesn’t? | 万一没有呢 |
[08:12] | Well, that’s why I brought the bottle. | 所以我给你拿来一整瓶呀 |
[08:17] | No one would talk to me in the halls. | 走廊没有一个人愿意跟我说话 |
[08:19] | They just glared at me. | 大家都瞪着我 |
[08:20] | It’s like high school all over again. | 感觉就像又过了一遍高中生活 |
[08:22] | Oh, I would totally do high school all over again. | 我超级想再过一遍高中生活 |
[08:28] | – But that doesn’t help you. – No. | -但那对你没帮助 -没有 |
[08:32] | I got called in to the administration office. | 我被叫去了行政办公室 |
[08:35] | Ooh, look at my bad boy getting called to the principal. | 瞧瞧我的坏小子 居然被校长叫过去 |
[08:39] | We don’t technically have a principal. | 严格来说 我们没有校长 |
[08:41] | There’s a standing committee that oversees the budget. | 有个常务委员会在监督学校预算 |
[08:43] | Ooh, look at my bad boy | 瞧瞧我的坏小子 |
[08:45] | answering questions nobody asked. | 回答没人问你的问题 |
[08:48] | Hey, come on, look, you said a few dumb things on the radio– | 拜托 你不过是在电台说了几句傻话 |
[08:50] | what is the worst that could happen? | 最坏又能怎样呢 |
[08:53] | I may get fired. | 我可能会被解雇 |
[08:56] | Okay, well, even if you did, you could find another job. | 好吧 就算被解雇了 你也可以找别的工作啊 |
[08:58] | Yeah, who wouldn’t want to hire the physicist | 谁会想聘用一个在公开场合 |
[09:01] | who publicly said physics is dead? | 说物理已死的物理学家 |
[09:03] | Well, I wouldn’t put that under “Special skills.” | 我不会把这项写在简历的”特殊技能”里 |
[09:07] | I can fix it, | 我可以弥补 |
[09:09] | I just need to write a retraction I don’t believe in– | 我只需写一份违心的撤回声明即可 |
[09:11] | basically sell out to keep my job. | 基本就是出卖灵魂来保住饭碗 |
[09:14] | Great, I’ll leave you to it. | 很好 那我不打扰你写稿子了 |
[09:39] | Sheldon, it’s me. | 谢尔顿 是我 |
[09:44] | What? | 干嘛 |
[09:45] | Look, I know you’re mad, but I have to write a statement | 我知道你很生气 但我得写一份声明 |
[09:47] | that says the physics community is close to a breakthrough, | 说物理学界即将迎来一个重大突破 |
[09:49] | and since you actually believe that, | 既然你是真的相信会这样 |
[09:51] | I could really use your help. | 我非常需要你的帮助 |
[09:53] | Sorry, I can’t. | 抱歉 我做不到 |
[09:54] | Come on, don’t be like that. | 拜托 别这样嘛 |
[09:55] | I can’t, because I think you were right. | 我做不到是因为我觉得你是对的 |
[09:59] | What? | 什么 |
[10:00] | Look. | 听着 |
[10:02] | Not all science pans out. | 不是所有科学都能取得成功 |
[10:04] | You know, we’ve been hoping supersymmetry was true for decades, | 数十年来 我们都希望超对称性是真的 |
[10:07] | and finally, we built the Large Hadron Collider, | 终于我们制造出大型强子对撞机 |
[10:09] | which is supposed to prove it by finding these new particles, | 本应该通过发现新粒子来证实该理论 |
[10:12] | and it-it hasn’t. | 然而并没有 |
[10:13] | And maybe supersymmetry, | 或许超对称性 |
[10:15] | our last big idea, is simply wrong. | 人类最后的大想法 其实是错误的 |
[10:19] | Well, that sounds awful. | 听起来真惨 |
[10:21] | Now I get why everyone hates me. | 我懂为什么大家都讨厌我了 |
[10:25] | Well, on the bright side, | 但从好的方面来看 |
[10:26] | after working together for 15 years, | 一起共事15年后 |
[10:28] | you finally get to hear me say, “You were right.” | 你终于能听到我说”你当时说得对” |
[10:33] | Oh, yeah, you did. | 是啊 |
[10:36] | How’s it feel? | 感觉如何 |
[10:38] | Mm, given I might be unemployed, | 基于我可能会失去工作 |
[10:40] | bittersweet. | 苦乐参半吧 |
[10:46] | – Read it back to me. – Oh, hang on. | -读给我听听 -稍等 |
[10:49] | “Yes, one might question the $20 billion | “的确 也许有人会质疑我们 |
[10:51] | to build and run the Large Hadron Collider, | 在建造运行大型强子对撞机上耗费的200亿 |
[10:53] | but on the other hand…” | 但在另一方面…” |
[11:00] | Okay. | 行吧 |
[11:02] | “On the other hand, contrary to predictions, | “在另一方面 与预测相违背的是 |
[11:05] | the collider didn’t create a small black hole | 对撞机没有如我们所预测般创造出 |
[11:08] | that devoured the Earth and life as we know it. | 足以毁灭整个地球与生命的小黑洞 |
[11:10] | So, s– | 所以… |
[11:12] | money well spent.” | 这钱花得值啊” |
[11:17] | This is depressing. | 太丧了 |
[11:18] | Do you have any alcohol around here? | 你这儿有酒吗 |
[11:20] | Uh, not surprisingly, when Penny moved out, | 佩妮搬出去的时候 不出所料地 |
[11:22] | she took every last drop. Um… | 带走了每一滴酒 |
[11:24] | Oh, but I do have several bottles of Romulan ale | 不过我这儿有几瓶从漫展上买回来的 |
[11:28] | that I bought at Comic-Con. | 罗慕伦麦酒 |
[11:32] | Isn’t that just vodka with blue dye in it? | 不就只是伏特加里加了蓝色素吗 |
[11:34] | First, physics, now Romulan ale. | 先是物理 现在又是罗慕伦麦酒 |
[11:36] | What else would you like to defecate on? | 你还想往哪些东西头上拉泡屎呢 |
[11:41] | I thought you were coming right back. | 我还以为你很快会回来 |
[11:42] | I was, but we’re both depressed, | 本来是 但是我们都很郁闷 |
[11:44] | and decided to drown our sorrows. | 所以决定一醉方休 |
[11:47] | In mouthwash? | 喝漱口水吗 |
[11:51] | Man, that is so summer camp. | 让我想起了以前的夏令营时光 |
[11:54] | I-It’s Romulan ale, from Star Trek. | 这是《星际迷航》里的罗慕伦麦酒 |
[11:57] | It was briefly legalized during the alliance | 帝国战争时期 罗慕伦麦酒 |
[11:59] | between the Romulan Empire and the Federation | 在罗慕伦帝国与星际联邦的结盟期间 |
[12:01] | at the time of the Dominion War. | 有过短暂的合法售卖 |
[12:03] | Aw, now I’m depressed. | 现在换我郁闷了 |
[12:08] | The more I told him about my lab, the pissier he got. | 我告诉他越多我实验室的事 他就越生气 |
[12:11] | You know what he said to me? | 你知道他跟我说了什么话吗 |
[12:13] | He said, “I hope all your correlations | 他说 “我希望你实验的所有相关性 |
[12:14] | turn out to be specious.” | 都无法被证明” |
[12:18] | He said that to your face? | 他当面对你说这话吗 |
[12:20] | What a dick. | 真是个混蛋 |
[12:25] | You know, you’re a successful woman. | 你是个事业成功的女人 |
[12:26] | You should be able to brag about your accomplishments once in a while. | 你有偶尔吹嘘下自己成就的权利 |
[12:30] | Well, so should you. | 是啊 你也可以啊 |
[12:31] | I mean, the guys are never shy about bragging. | 他们就从来不会不敢吹嘘 |
[12:33] | Tell me about it. Howie texts me | 可不是嘛 每次华仔玩《魔兽争霸》 |
[12:35] | every time his dog levels up in Warcraft. | 他的狗升级了都要发短信告诉我 |
[12:40] | Has he ever called you to tell you | 他有打电话就为了告诉你 |
[12:41] | he found three peanuts in one shell? | 他在一个花生里发现了三颗花生仁吗 |
[12:43] | ‘Cause Sheldon has. | 谢尔顿就干过这种事 |
[12:45] | We should be able to do that, too. | 我们也应该可以这么做才对 |
[12:48] | I guess we can brag to each other. | 我们可以互相跟对方吹嘘啊 |
[12:50] | That’s a great idea. | 这个想法很不错 |
[12:52] | Damn right it is; I came up with it. | 当然了 这可是老娘想出来的 |
[12:57] | That felt good. | 感觉真爽 |
[13:02] | You know, there’s so much money in pharmaceuticals, | 医药品行业的钱多得花不完 |
[13:04] | we don’t even wash out our test tubes. | 我们从来不洗试管 |
[13:06] | We just throw them out and get new ones. | 直接扔了换新的 |
[13:10] | I just got a brand-new, state of the art fMRI machine. | 我刚拿到了一台功能性磁共振成像仪 |
[13:14] | Whoa. Those things are so expensive. | 这仪器超贵啊 |
[13:16] | I know. | 对啊 |
[13:17] | Sometimes, I just lie down in there and take a nap. | 有时候我就躺进里面打个盹 |
[13:22] | It’s like a million dollar bunk bed. | 就是张身价百万的单人床 |
[13:26] | At the office, I have two assistants. | 我上班时有两个助理 |
[13:28] | I don’t even know their names, | 我都不知道他们的名字 |
[13:29] | I just call them Thing One and Thing Two. | 就叫他们一号和二号 |
[13:33] | That’s great. I-I don’t have assistants. | 真好 我没有助理 |
[13:36] | Oh. I guess that’s one of the benefits of being in the private sector. | 这大概就是在私企的福利之一 |
[13:39] | That and all the money I make. | 有助理 钱还挣得多 |
[13:42] | Yeah, you’ve got that. | 对 你赚大把[黑心卖药]钱 |
[13:45] | I’ve got my integrity. | 而我有节操与一身正气 |
[13:46] | Hard to say which is better without making you feel bad. | 要分优劣怕是会伤了你的自尊 |
[13:52] | Okay. So you guys are upset | 所以说 你们不开心 |
[13:53] | because the collider thing disproved your theories? | 是因为对撞机反证了你们的理论吗 |
[13:56] | I-It’s worse than that. | 比这更糟 |
[13:58] | It hasn’t found anything in years, | 多年来对撞机上都没有任何发现 |
[13:59] | so we don’t know if we’re right, we don’t know if we’re wrong. | 我们不知道我们的理论是对是错 |
[14:01] | We don’t know where to go next. | 不知道下一步该怎么办 |
[14:03] | All I know is it looks like I tongue-kissed Avatar. | 我只知道我看起来像跟阿凡达舌吻过 |
[14:09] | Come on. | 别泄气 |
[14:10] | You guys are physicists. | 你们是物理学家 |
[14:11] | Okay? You’re always gonna be physicists. | 好吗 你们永远都是物理学家 |
[14:13] | And sure, sometimes, the physics is hard, | 的确 研究物理有时候很艰难 |
[14:16] | but isn’t that what makes it boring? | 可不就是艰难造就了它的无聊吗 |
[14:22] | We’re here. What’s going on? | 我们来了 什么情况 |
[14:24] | Okay. As far as I can see, | 就我看来 |
[14:26] | science is dead, | 科学已死 |
[14:27] | ’cause Leonard killed it. | 是莱纳德杀了它 |
[14:28] | And, uh, | 还有 |
[14:30] | I don’t know who the Romulans are, | 我不认识什么罗慕伦人 |
[14:30] | but those guys know how to party. | 但是他们可懂怎么寻欢作乐了 |
[14:34] | So, what do you want us to do? | 那你想要我们干什么 |
[14:35] | I don’t know. You’re scientists; cheer them up. | 我不知道 你们才是科学家 哄他们开心 |
[14:37] | “Cheer them up”? | “哄他们开心” |
[14:38] | Do you even know what a scientist is? | 你到底知不知道科学家是干什么的 |
[14:42] | No, we don’t need to be cheered up. | 不 我们不需要人哄 |
[14:44] | It just turns out that physics is exactly like Lost. | 只是刚发现物理就跟《迷失》一样 |
[14:47] | Started out great, and turns out just a big old waste of time. | 开篇极佳 追到结尾才发现就是在浪费生命 |
[14:51] | Boo-hoo. You know what you sound like? | 狗屁 你知道你们听起来像什么吗 |
[14:53] | Babies. | 像小娃娃 |
[14:54] | Two whiny babies. | 两个哭哭啼啼的小娃娃 |
[14:56] | And there’s nothing worse than being stuck | 世界上最惨的事就是被两个 |
[14:58] | with two whiny babies! | 哭哭啼啼的小娃娃给包围 |
[15:15] | Oh, my God, I’m gonna have two babies. | 我的天啊 我之后就要有两个娃了 |
[15:18] | No, no, no, no. Babies are great. | 别别别 小娃娃可棒了 |
[15:20] | You’re lucky to have two babies. | 你有两个娃非常幸福啊 |
[15:21] | I mean, look at me, uh, I’m all alone. | 你看我 形单影只单身狗 |
[15:23] | I’m never gonna have babies, | 一辈子永远别想有娃 |
[15:25] | ’cause you can’t make a baby watching Netflix with your dog. | 因为跟自己的狗一起网上看剧是无法生娃的 |
[15:34] | Thanks for coming. | 谢两位壮士到场支援 |
[15:38] | I may not make as much money as you, | 我虽然赚的钱可能没你多 |
[15:40] | but at least I know that I’m actually doing something | 但至少我知道我在做的工作 |
[15:42] | that makes people’s lives better. | 能让人们生活更加美好 |
[15:44] | Hey, my work makes people’s lives better. | 我的工作也能让人们生活更加美好啊 |
[15:47] | Especially if you have moderate to severe eczema | 尤其是当你患有中度到重度湿疹 |
[15:49] | and don’t mind if you lose teeth. | 且不介意掉几颗牙齿时 |
[15:53] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[15:54] | We both do important work. | 我们都从事重要的工作 |
[15:56] | I’m trying to map the structures of the brain, | 我试图绘制出大脑的结构 |
[15:58] | and you’re trying to convince people | 你试图说服人们 |
[15:59] | that itchy hair is a real thing. | 真有头发痒这件事 |
[16:02] | It is a real thing. | 的确真有其事 |
[16:04] | It happens to be a side effect of our cholesterol drug. | 这碰巧是我们公司胆固醇药导致的副作用 |
[16:10] | I’m just saying that my research | 我只是在说我的研究 |
[16:12] | may actually change the world forever. | 可能真的会永远改变世界 |
[16:15] | I hope it does. | 但愿如此 |
[16:16] | ‘Cause I’m gonna see that world from a yacht so big, | 因为到时我会坐在一艘超大游艇上看这个世界 |
[16:18] | you can land a helicopter on it. | 游艇还大到可以停直升机那种哦 |
[16:27] | Physics is all we’re cut out for. | 我们只适合研究物理 |
[16:29] | I mean, if we weren’t physicists, w-what would we be? | 我们要是不当物理学家 还能当什么啊 |
[16:33] | I don’t know. Popular? | 不知道 万人迷吧 |
[16:37] | It’s fine. I don’t need to be a theoretical physicist. | 没关系 我不是非要当理论物理学家 |
[16:41] | There’s lots of things I could use this brain for. | 还有很多事可以用到我的头脑 |
[16:43] | I could be an accountant for the mob. | 我可以给黑帮当会计 |
[16:48] | I could guess people’s weight at the fair. | 我可以在集市上猜人们的体重 |
[16:53] | Okay. This is getting silly. | 够了 越说越蠢了 |
[16:55] | Is it? | 是吗 |
[16:56] | 180. | 81公斤 |
[17:01] | Okay. | 好了 |
[17:02] | That is enough. | 够了 |
[17:03] | Your lives are not wasted. | 你们的生命没有浪费掉 |
[17:05] | Your careers are not at a dead end. | 你们的事业没有走到死路 |
[17:07] | You just hit a rough patch. | 你们只是遇到了一个难关 |
[17:08] | Instead of feeling sorry for yourselves, | 不要再自怨自艾 |
[17:10] | you need to get up and get inspired. | 你们应该振作起来找灵感 |
[17:11] | How? | 怎么找 |
[17:12] | I don’t know. You know, when I’m feeling down, | 我哪知道 我情绪低落的时候 |
[17:14] | I go for a run, | 会去跑步 |
[17:15] | which is exactly why I’m not 180 pounds, genius! | 所以我才没有81公斤 死天才 |
[17:20] | I know where we need to go. | 我知道我们该去哪里了 |
[17:22] | Are we running there? Because watching drunk Sheldon run | 是跑步去吗 因为看喝醉的谢尔顿跑步 |
[17:25] | would be the highlight of my life. | 会是我人生最值得回味的时刻 |
[17:28] | We’re going to see Richard Feynman. | 我们现在去看理查德·费曼 |
[17:30] | Penny, Richard Feynman is an iconic phys… | 佩妮 理查德·费曼是一位著名的物理… |
[17:32] | I know who he is. | 我知道他是谁 |
[17:33] | Leonard dressed as him for Halloween last year. | 莱纳德去年万圣节扮成他 |
[17:40] | I had no idea Richard Feynman was dead. | 我都不知道理查德·费曼已经去世了 |
[17:43] | Yep. Most people don’t know | 是的 但大部分人不知道 |
[17:44] | he’s actually buried right here in Altadena. | 他就葬在阿尔塔迪纳镇 |
[17:48] | I’m sure they keep a lid on that to avoid traffic jams. | 我肯定他们有意隐瞒 避免太多人来会堵车 |
[17:54] | Here he is. | 他在这儿呢 |
[17:56] | Oh, wow. He’s buried with his wife. | 他和他妻子葬在一起 |
[17:58] | We get it. A lady loved you. | 知道了 有位女士深爱过你 |
[18:00] | Quit bragging. | 炫耀个屁啊 |
[18:04] | Feynman was so cool. | 费曼真的很酷 |
[18:06] | When I was a kid, I’d put on some headphones | 我小时候会戴上耳机 |
[18:09] | and crank up one of his lectures and just… | 调大他讲课的音量 就这样… |
[18:11] | jam out to knowledge. | 徜徉在知识的旋律之中 |
[18:15] | This guy knew how to live. | 这家伙懂得如何生活 |
[18:17] | He taught himself musical instruments. | 他自学了各种乐器 |
[18:19] | He studied Portuguese. | 还学会了葡萄牙语 |
[18:21] | Just to give a speech in Brazil. | 就为了在巴西演讲 |
[18:23] | The only part of me that’s been to Brazil is my bikini line. | 我全身只有”巴西除毛”过的部位跟巴西有关 |
[18:27] | Okay. | 别再喝了 |
[18:31] | He did so much. | 他做了如此多壮举 |
[18:33] | And here we are, stuck and letting him down. | 而我们却停滞不前 令他失望 |
[18:36] | You know, Feynman used to say he didn’t do physics | 费曼以前常说 他研究物理 |
[18:39] | for the glory or the awards, but just for the fun of it. | 不是为了名利或奖项 只是为了其中的乐趣 |
[18:45] | He was right. | 他说得对 |
[18:47] | Physics is only dead when we stop being excited about it. | 只有我们不再为它兴奋激动时 物理才会死 |
[18:52] | Even beyond the grave, he’s imparting wisdom. | 即使进了坟墓 他仍在传授智慧 |
[18:55] | Um, I’m the one who remembered it. | 记得他那番话的人是我 |
[19:00] | Give me the bottle. | 把酒给我 |
[19:01] | I mean, it might be a little corny, but I say | 可能有点俗套 但我提议 |
[19:02] | we pour one out for all the science homies | 我们给所有先辈科学家 |
[19:06] | who came before us. | 倒上一杯 |
[19:07] | I love that. | 我喜欢这提议 |
[19:14] | Here comes some more. | 要”倒”出更多酒啦 |
[19:20] | Ah, we got to see him run. | 我们终于看到他醉跑了 |
[19:29] | Oh, hi, you wanted to see me? | 你好 你要见我是吗 |
[19:30] | Yes. I wanted to talk to you about the e-mail | 是的 我想和你谈谈 |
[19:32] | you sent me last night. | 你昨晚发给我的邮件 |
[19:35] | I sent you an e-mail? | 我给你发了邮件吗 |
[19:38] | You bet you did. | 确定一定以及肯定 |
[19:41] | “Hello.Shalom and aloha | “在此用英语 希伯来语和夏威夷语 |
[19:43] | from the grave of Richard Feynman.” | 从理查德·费曼的坟墓向你问好” |
[19:46] | Oh, it’s coming back to me. | 我开始想起来了 |
[19:49] | “Please accept the following retraction: | “请接受以下撤回声明 |
[19:51] | I know I said physics is dead, | 我知道我说过物理已死 |
[19:53] | but it is the opposite of dead. | 其实事实恰恰相反 |
[19:55] | If anything, | 真要说的话 |
[19:56] | It is undead, like a zombie. | 物理是不死的 就像丧尸一样 |
[20:00] | Speaking of which, | 说起这个 |
[20:01] | If Richard Feynman came back as a zombie, | 要是理查德·费曼变成丧尸复活 |
[20:03] | I would totally let him bite me.” | 我十分愿意让他咬我” |
[20:08] | Any chance that’s the end? | 是在这里就结束了吗 |
[20:10] | “I got bit by a squirrel once. | “我被松鼠咬过一次 |
[20:14] | I had to get rabies shots. | 我不得不去打狂犬病疫苗 |
[20:16] | I cried so much, | 我哭得好凄惨 |
[20:18] | My mother said ‘don’t be a baby.’ | 我妈说”别哭得像个娃似地” |
[20:20] | In conclusion, | 总之 |
[20:21] | Physics is great. | 物理很棒 |
[20:23] | Squirrels suck, and someday, | 松鼠很贱 总有一天 |
[20:25] | I’m gonna put my mom in a cheap nursing home. | 我要把我妈丢去便宜的养老院 |
[20:29] | Yours, truely, | 谨上 |
[20:30] | XOXO, Doctor Leonard Hofstadter.” | 亲亲抱抱 莱纳德·霍夫斯塔德博士” |
[20:34] | I can explain. I… | 我可以解释 我… |
[20:35] | “PS. | “附言 |
[20:37] | Can you come pick us up? | 你能不能来接我们 |
[20:39] | The Uber driver won’t open the door | 优步司机不肯开车门 |
[20:41] | because Sheldon is covered in blue vomit.” | 因为谢尔顿身上沾满了蓝色呕吐物” |