时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | Leonard… | 莱纳德 |
[00:05] | I’ve got terrible news. | 我有个天大的坏消息 |
[00:06] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 |
[00:08] | Before I tell you, perhaps I should soften the blow. | 在我说之前 或许需要给你点心里缓冲 |
[00:11] | You’re face is pleasingly symmetrical. | 你的脸对称得很讨喜 |
[00:16] | Just tell me. | 你就说吧 |
[00:17] | A Swedish team of physicists | 一个瑞典的物理学家团队 |
[00:19] | is trying to scoop our super-fluid vortex experiment. | 想要抢先一步进行我们的超流体漩涡实验 |
[00:23] | Oh, well, that kind of stinks. | 好吧 这是有点恶心 |
[00:25] | “That kind of stinks”? | 什么叫”有点恶心” |
[00:27] | Why aren’t you more upset? | 你应该要更不爽啊 |
[00:28] | Did I soften the blow too much? | 我刚才给你缓冲太多了吗 |
[00:30] | Because this here is more like a Picasso painting. | 因为这副尊容更像是一幅毕加索的抽象画 |
[00:35] | What are we going to do? | 那我们要怎么办 |
[00:36] | Perform the experiment immediately. | 立刻进行实验 |
[00:38] | I’d love to, but we need liquid helium | 我也想 但我们需要液氦 |
[00:40] | and our shipment’s on back order for a month. | 而我们订的氦要晚一个月才到 |
[00:42] | A month? What? Are you kidding me? | 什么 一个月 你跟我闹呢 |
[00:45] | That would have been a good time for you to soften the blow. | 现在就很适合你给我做心里缓冲啊 |
[00:48] | That shirt brings out the blue in your eyes. | 这T恤能衬托出你那深邃的蓝眸 |
[00:51] | Thank you. Aren’t you sweet. | 谢谢 你嘴真甜 |
[00:54] | Let’s go check to see if the university | 我们去查查大学里 |
[00:56] | has any helium in reserve. | 还有没有氦气存货吧 |
[00:58] | Did you know that I almost didn’t wear this shirt today? | 你知道我今天差点就不穿这件衣服吗 |
[01:02] | Hey, Barry, we’re in trouble. | 巴里 我们碰到了麻烦 |
[01:04] | We need liquid helium– | 我们需要液氦 |
[01:05] | does the department have any we can use? | 系里有多余的可以让我们用吗 |
[01:07] | Sorry, there’s a shortage. | 抱歉 这东西有些短缺 |
[01:08] | And what we do have I need for my quantum excitation study. | 而仅有的存货 我要拿来做量子激发研究 |
[01:11] | But you won’t need much for that. | 你那个实验不需要用多少啊 |
[01:13] | True, but if it’s successful, | 的确 但如果成功了 |
[01:14] | I’m having a party with balloons. | 我开派对要拿来灌气球啊 |
[01:17] | Come on, Barry, there’s a Swedish team | 别这样 巴里 有个瑞典团队 |
[01:19] | trying to run our experiment before us. | 想抢先进行我们的实验 |
[01:21] | Can’t you spare any? | 你真不能匀一点给我们吗 |
[01:22] | Be honest– if the shoe was on the other foot, | 你们老实说 如果今天换我碰到这情况 |
[01:25] | would you do this for me? | 你们会愿意帮我吗 |
[01:27] | – Yes. – No chance. | -会 -不可能 |
[01:29] | What are you doing? | 你帮倒忙呢 |
[01:30] | He said be honest, so I was honest. | 他说老实说 所以我老实说啊 |
[01:32] | Didn’t your mother tell you? It’s the best policy. | 你母亲没教你吗 诚实为上 |
[01:36] | So, what do you say? | 所以你意下如何 |
[01:37] | Hell no. | 下辈子吧 |
[01:40] | He could’ve softened the blow. | 他可以给我们点缓冲再说的 |
[02:10] | Why do you need Kripke? | 你们为啥需要找他要氦气 |
[02:11] | Can’t you just go to Party City for helium? | 你们不能直接去派对用品店买点吗 |
[02:14] | We’d have to go to every Party City in California. | 我们得跑遍它们全加州的店才够 |
[02:16] | Sounds like you on Cinco de Mayo. | 听起来就像5月5日节时的你啊 |
[02:16] | 墨西哥节日 庆祝某场战役的胜利 在节日当日会有各种派对 舞蹈等等 | |
[02:20] | Hey, people were still talking about that party | 我办的那个派对到5月7日 |
[02:23] | on siete de Mayo. | 还有人赞不绝口呢 |
[02:27] | Leonard, if that Swedish team beats us, | 莱纳德 如果那个瑞典团队赢了我们 |
[02:28] | I will never be able to enjoy anything from their country again. | 我此生都再也不愿享用那个国家的东西了 |
[02:32] | Which is a shame, because Swedish meatballs | 那真挺可惜的 因为瑞典的肉丸 |
[02:34] | are my favorite toothpick-delivered meatball. | 是我最爱的用牙签插着吃的肉丸 |
[02:37] | If you need liquid helium so bad, I know a guy | 如果你们真迫切需要液氦 我认识个人 |
[02:41] | who can get you some, if you don’t ask too many questions. | 他能帮你们搞到 前提是不许问太多问题 |
[02:43] | – Who is he? – Where does he work? | -他是何方神圣 -他在哪儿工作 |
[02:44] | How does he get the helium? | 他怎么能搞到氦 |
[02:45] | How many questions are too many questions? | 问多少问题才算是太多问题 |
[02:48] | Maybe he’s not for you. | 或许他不适合你们 |
[02:50] | Four questions. There answer’s four. | 四题 答案是四题 |
[02:54] | Hey, you know who went out on a date the other night? | 你知道之前谁晚上去约会了吗 |
[02:56] | Stuart. | 斯图尔特 |
[02:57] | Oh, good for him. | 那恭喜他啊 |
[02:58] | I thought so, too. | 我也这么觉得 |
[02:59] | So is she, like, homeless, or framing him for a crime? | 所以这妞是无家可归还是要栽赃陷害他 |
[03:04] | He’s using some kind of dating app on his phone. | 他在手机上装了一个约会软件 |
[03:06] | Oh, which one? | 叫什么 |
[03:07] | Maybe we can get Amy to try it. | 或许我们能让艾米也试试 |
[03:09] | I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[03:10] | Stuart, can you come in here? | 斯图尔特 你能过来一下吗 |
[03:12] | He tried to explain it to me. | 他试着跟我解释过 |
[03:14] | It shows you pictures of people nearby, | 上面会显示出附近的用户 |
[03:16] | you swipe them around, it looks kind of like a game. | 你能左右滑动换人看 看起来像个游戏 |
[03:19] | Oh, and if you lose the game, you have to go out with Stuart. | 如果你游戏输了 你就得跟斯图尔特约会 |
[03:25] | What’s up? | 找我干嘛 |
[03:26] | Can you show us that dating app? | 你能给我们看看那个约会软件吗 |
[03:28] | Oh, yeah, sure. | 可以啊 行 |
[03:30] | This thing has changed my life. | 这软件真是改变了我的人生 |
[03:32] | Wow. So how many girls have you met? | 所以你约到了几个姑娘 |
[03:34] | Two. | 2个 |
[03:37] | I probably don’t need to mention | 我想我不用多说 |
[03:38] | there’s an entire number between that and zero. | 2跟0之间相隔了”1″个世界吧 |
[03:41] | Well, so how does it work? | 这软件怎么用 |
[03:43] | Uh, well, it-it shows me all | 上面会显示出 |
[03:45] | the single women in a five-mile radius | 方圆八公里内所有使用这软件的 |
[03:48] | who are using the app. | 单身女子 |
[03:49] | If I like the way they look, I hit “Thumbs up.” | 如果我喜欢她们的长相 那就点”赞” |
[03:51] | If I don’t, “Thumbs down.” | 如果不喜欢 就点”烂” |
[03:53] | Oh, what would make you give a girl a thumbs down? | 那怎么样的情况会让你给姑娘点”烂”呢 |
[03:56] | First time it happens I will let you know. | 首次发生时 我会告诉你 |
[04:02] | Oh, hey. I just heard back from the liquid helium guy. | 我收到那个氦气男的回信了 |
[04:05] | What’s he say? | 他怎么说 |
[04:06] | He’s got what we need and can meet us tonight. | 他有我们要的东西 可以今晚交易 |
[04:09] | Oh, really? | 是吗 |
[04:11] | You know I don’t like buying things at night. | 你知道我不喜欢晚上买东西 |
[04:15] | January 7, 2009. | 2009年1月7日 |
[04:17] | I went to the Ralph’s at 11:30pm to pick up | 我晚上11点半去买 |
[04:19] | Cracklin’ Oat Bran for the morning and what did I see? | 隔天早餐要吃的燕麦片 然后我看到了啥 |
[04:21] | The man restocking the cereal shelves. | 在给早餐谷物架补货的店员 |
[04:22] | That’s right. And what did he do? | 没错 他干嘛了 |
[04:24] | He handed you the box directly and called you Stretch. | 他直接把早餐片递给了你 然后叫你瘦竹竿 |
[04:30] | It’s like it was yesterday. | 伤心往事历历在目啊 |
[04:33] | Do you want liquid helium or not? | 那你到底还想不想要液氦了 |
[04:35] | Of course I do. | 我当然想要啊 |
[04:36] | I don’t want that Swedish team scooping us. | 我不想被那个瑞典团队捷足先登 |
[04:38] | Then I’m going to tell him we’re in. | 那我告诉他我们同意 |
[04:40] | Leonard, wait. This is highly unethical. | 莱纳德 等等 这非常不道德 |
[04:42] | We’re just bending the rules a little. | 我们只是稍微变通一下 |
[04:44] | We have grant money to do the experiment, | 我们有进行实验的拨款 |
[04:47] | so we’re going to spend it on the helium we need. | 所以我们拿这款项去买实验需要的氦 |
[04:49] | It’s not like when Dr. Goldfarb | 这又不像戈德法布博士 |
[04:51] | claimed he bought an electron microscope | 对外声称自己买了一个电子显微镜 |
[04:53] | and he was really just keeping | 而真相是他在 |
[04:54] | a Russian girl in an apartment in Van Nuys. | 在加州范奈司的金屋藏”金丝猫” |
[05:00] | Was she helping him with his research? | 那女孩帮他做研究吗 |
[05:04] | Sure. | “当然” |
[05:07] | So, are we doing this? | 我们到底要不要买 |
[05:09] | Okay, but where does he get the helium? | 好吧 可他的氦是从哪里弄来的 |
[05:10] | Remember? Don’t ask too many questions? | 还记得吗 不许多问 |
[05:12] | Uh, but this is violating university code. | 但这有违我们大学的校规 |
[05:14] | A little, but… | 稍微有点 但… |
[05:16] | if I may quote Einstein, | 爱因斯坦曾说过 |
[05:18] | “The pursuit of science calls us | “追求科学需要我们 |
[05:21] | to ignore the rules set by man.” | 抛开一切规章制度” |
[05:26] | All right, do it. | 好吧 买吧 |
[05:27] | Tell him we’re in. | 告诉他我们同意见面 |
[05:31] | Done. | 好了 |
[05:32] | I can’t find that quote on the Internet. | 我在网上查不到爱因斯坦那句话 |
[05:34] | Did you make that up? | 是不是你瞎编的 |
[05:38] | Before I answer, | 在回答之前 |
[05:39] | may I just say your skin has never looked better. | 我得先说 你的皮肤也太好了吧 |
[05:45] | Aren’t you just made of sugar. | 你的嘴呀 跟抹了蜜一样 |
[05:50] | I’m not sure how I feel about this. | 我不确定对此该作何感想 |
[05:52] | Oh, come on, just let him put the app on your phone. | 放心 就让他把软件装你手机上吧 |
[05:54] | Yeah, Stuart got two dates with it. | 对啊 斯尔图特约到了两个妞呢 |
[05:56] | One of which would’ve ended in sex had she not said no. | 其中一个要没拒绝我 早发展到床上了 |
[06:01] | Okay, all set. | 好了 装好了 |
[06:02] | Okay, let me see. | 让我看看 |
[06:04] | Nope, nope, | 不行 不行 |
[06:07] | nope… | 不行 |
[06:08] | Oh, he’s cute! | 这个帅气 |
[06:09] | Doesn’t a teardrop tattoo | 泪滴图案的纹身 |
[06:11] | mean he murdered someone? | 不是代表他曾杀过人吗 |
[06:15] | And he’s sad about it. | 他对此感到痛心啊 |
[06:19] | Hey, I thought you were gonna be out late? | 我以为你很晚才会回来呢 |
[06:21] | If you wanted me to stay out later, | 如果你想让我晚点回家 |
[06:22] | you should’ve given me more spending money. | 就应该给我多点零花钱啊 |
[06:26] | What are you guys up to? | 你们在干什么 |
[06:27] | We put Amy on a dating app, | 我们帮艾米注册了约会软件 |
[06:28] | and we’re seeing what’s out there. | 现在在看上面都有什么人 |
[06:30] | Oh, fun! Let me see. | 有意思 让我看看 |
[06:32] | Uh, no… | 不行 |
[06:34] | no, uh, definitely not. | 不行 绝对不行 |
[06:38] | What was wrong with that guy? | 这人哪里不好了 |
[06:39] | Uh, he’s Indian. | 他是印度人 |
[06:40] | We’ve already got one of those. | 我们已经有一个阿三哥了 |
[06:43] | Ooh, we should find a nice Latino. | 我们应该找一个拉丁帅哥 |
[06:45] | It really round us out. | 让我们这个小团体更完美 |
[06:48] | Hey, I want to try. | 我想试试 |
[06:48] | Uh, excuse me, c-can I have my phone back? | 不好意思 能把手机还给我吗 |
[06:50] | Hang on, I’m trying to find you the next great love of your life. | 等等 我在帮你寻找下一位挚爱呢 |
[06:53] | The man who will father your children. | 你未来孩子的父亲 |
[06:54] | Okay, yes or no on white guy with dreadlocks? | 好了 脏辫雷鬼头的白人怎么样 |
[07:08] | That must be him. | 那一定是他 |
[07:09] | Oh, of course. | 肯定啦 |
[07:11] | An nondescript, white panel van. | 一辆没有标识的全白面包车 |
[07:13] | You may be familiar with it from the sentence: | 以下这句话你可能会听着耳熟 |
[07:15] | “Their bodies were found | “他们的尸体 |
[07:16] | in a nondescript, white panel van.” | 是在一辆没有标识的全白面包车内找到” |
[07:27] | What’s up? | 你们好 |
[07:28] | Uh, I’m Leonard. | 我是莱纳德 |
[07:29] | – This is my friend– – I’m Skippy. | -这位是我的朋友 -叫我兽主甘 |
[07:31] | Skippy Cavanaugh. | 兽主甘·卡瓦诺 |
[07:34] | Great. | 好 |
[07:35] | You got the cash? | 钱带来了吗 |
[07:36] | Uh, yeah, uh, right here. | 带来了 在这里呢 |
[07:37] | Wait, hold on, hold on. | 等等 且慢且慢 |
[07:39] | How do we know that you’re not gonna | 我们怎么知道 |
[07:39] | take the money and drive away? | 你不会拿了钱就跑 |
[07:42] | What ya doing, Skippy? | 你这是干嘛 兽主甘 |
[07:45] | Exactly what 1970s television crime dramas have taught us. | 这是跟70年代的罪案连续剧学的 |
[07:48] | You give us the helium first. | 你先把氦给我们 |
[07:51] | Oh, how do I know you’re not gonna | 我怎么知道你们会不会收了货 |
[07:52] | drive away without paying me? | 不给钱就跑啊 |
[07:55] | Guess I’m not the only one | 看来我不是唯一一个 |
[07:56] | who watches ’70s television crime dramas. | 会看70年代罪案连续剧的人 |
[07:59] | Look, you can trust us. | 听着 你可以信任我们 |
[08:00] | We’re respected scientists. | 我们是受人尊敬的科学家 |
[08:02] | Well, he is. | 他是 |
[08:04] | I’m a wedding planner, | 我是一名婚礼策划师 |
[08:06] | who can’t find love himself. | 然而自己却找不到真爱 |
[08:09] | It’s ironic, but the point is | 虽然很讽刺 但重点是 |
[08:12] | we can’t trust you. | 我们无法信任你 |
[08:14] | You’re a sketchy character in a parking garage. | 你只是个在停车场的鬼祟男 |
[08:17] | Yeah, well, from my perspective, | 没错 在我看来 |
[08:18] | that’s how you two appear to me. | 你们俩也是鬼祟男 |
[08:20] | Well, I never thought of it like that. | 我从未这样想过 |
[08:23] | Boy, frame of reference will just sneak up on you, won’t it? | 天啊 参照系让人措手不及 |
[08:27] | My friend does make a decent point about the money. | 我朋友对钱的担心不无道理 |
[08:29] | I don’t feel comfortable just handing it over up front. | 我也觉得先给钱不妥 |
[08:32] | Ah-ah-ah, no money, no helium. | 不给钱 不给氦 |
[08:34] | Seems we’re at a, uh, stalemate. | 看来我们陷入了”逼和”的局面 |
[08:37] | Not technically. | 严格来说不算 |
[08:39] | In chess, a stalemate refers to a situation | 在国际象棋中 “逼和”指的局面是 |
[08:41] | in which there are no remaining moves. | 无棋可动 无路可走 |
[08:43] | Uh, you have plenty of moves available. | 你还有很多条路可以选 |
[08:45] | You could beat us up and steal the money. | 你可以揍扁我们 然后把钱拿走 |
[08:49] | You could kill us, you know. | 你也可以杀了我们 |
[08:51] | Really, you’re only limited by your imagination. | 你只是被自己的想象力限制了 |
[08:58] | All these years, I’ve been using “stalemate,” | 这么多年来 虽然我嘴上说”逼和” |
[08:59] | when I really mean “impasse.” | 但我真正要表达的是”僵局” |
[09:02] | I feel foolish. | 我感觉自己好傻 |
[09:06] | I don’t think it matters if this is a stalemate | 这都不重要 不管这是”逼和” |
[09:09] | or an impasse or a Mexican standoff. | “僵局”或是”墨西哥对峙” |
[09:09] | 意为对峙多方为了个人利益而不愿放下武器 率先让步的局面 | |
[09:11] | What are we gonna do here? | 我们现在应该怎么办 |
[09:12] | Oh, whoa, whoa, how can it be a Mexican standoff? | 等等 这怎么能算”墨西哥对峙”呢 |
[09:14] | Everybody knows you need three sides for that. | 谁都知道这种情况得有三方对峙 |
[09:17] | Not necessarily. | 不一定 |
[09:18] | Uh, many argue the essence of a Mexican standoff | 很多人争论”墨西哥对峙”的本质在于 |
[09:21] | is that no one can walk away from the conflict | 就是没人能够全身而退 |
[09:24] | without incurring harm. | 却毫发无伤 |
[09:26] | Hmm, I don’t follow. | 我没听明白 |
[09:28] | Let me give you an example. | 我给你举个例子吧 |
[09:30] | Earlier today, | 今天早些时候 |
[09:32] | I decoded the headers on your e-mail, | 我破解了你电邮的标头隐藏资讯 |
[09:34] | and I know that your name is Kenneth Fitzgerald. | 我知道你的名字叫肯尼斯·菲兹杰拉德 |
[09:36] | From that, I figured out where you live and where you work. | 然后我找出了你的住址和工作地点 |
[09:39] | Now, to make this a Mexican standoff, | 现在 要把情况变成”墨西哥对峙” |
[09:41] | I would say something like, uh, | 我会说些类似这样的话 |
[09:43] | “You give us the helium or I’ll turn you in to the authorities.” | “给我氦气 不然我就去当局告发你” |
[09:47] | Is that a threat? | 你这是在威胁我吗 |
[09:48] | Yeah, exactly. See, you’re getting it. | 没错 看 你开始懂了嘛 |
[09:51] | Yeah, well, I know where you work, all right? | 好呀 我也知道你们在哪里工作 |
[09:53] | And if you mess with me, I’ll report you, | 如果你们想整我 我就举报你 |
[09:55] | then I’ll pound your asses into the ground. | 然后我会把你俩揍得亲娘都认不出 |
[09:57] | Perfect! Now we really are in a Mexican standoff. | 太棒了 现在这才叫”墨西哥对峙” |
[10:03] | Is this one of those times | 是不是又到了那种 |
[10:03] | where I’ve won the battle but lost the war? | 我赢了战役 却输了战争的局面 |
[10:08] | Afraid so, Skippy. | 恐怕是哦 兽主甘 |
[10:10] | I told you we shouldn’t go shopping at night. | 我就说咱们不该晚上出来买东西 |
[10:18] | All right, let’s all just calm down. | 好了 大家都冷静一下 |
[10:20] | Nobody wants to report anybody. | 谁都不想举报谁 |
[10:22] | No, I don’t like this. I’m out. | 我不喜欢跟你们做买卖 我要走了 |
[10:23] | No, no, no. Wait, don’t go. | 别别 等一下 不要走 |
[10:24] | Just let me explain. | 请听我解释 |
[10:26] | We’re physicists, and we’re trying to prove a hypothesis | 我们是物理学家 我们只是想证明 |
[10:29] | that we’ve been working on for over a year. | 一个我们研究了一年的假设而已 |
[10:31] | Really? What’s the hypothesis? | 真的吗 什么假设 |
[10:35] | Space-time can be interpreted as | 时空可以用 |
[10:36] | the surface of an n-dimensional superfluid. | 一个N维超流体的表面来解释 |
[10:39] | Could be, could be. | 有可能哦 有可能 |
[10:40] | Go on. | 说下去 |
[10:44] | Okay, but now there’s this Swedish team that read our paper | 现在有一个瑞典团队读了我们的论文 |
[10:47] | and they’re trying to beat us to our own discovery. | 想抢先我们一步获得实验成果 |
[10:50] | We really need this helium. | 所以我们真的很需要这罐氦气 |
[10:51] | And I’m sorry I lied about | 抱歉我之前撒谎 |
[10:52] | being a wedding planner who can’t find love. | 说我自己是没人爱的婚礼策划师 |
[10:55] | Although I am currently single, if you know anybody. | 不过我现在的确是单身 你有人可以介绍给我吗 |
[10:59] | Here’s the money. Can we do this? | 钱给你 买卖能继续吗 |
[11:02] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[11:04] | It’s a shame about those scientists ripping you off. | 那些占你们便宜的科学家实在太不要脸了 |
[11:07] | I expected a higher ethical standard | 我还以为瑞典的朋友们 |
[11:09] | from our friends in Sweden. | 道德标准会更高呢 |
[11:13] | It’s actually pretty common in our field. | 这事在我们学术界其实挺常见的 |
[11:15] | Not much you can do about it. | 我们也拿他们没办法 |
[11:16] | Well, for the right amount of money, | 如果你们出的价够高 |
[11:18] | if you know where they live, | 又知道他们的住址 |
[11:18] | there’s, uh, plenty we could do about it. | 我倒是知道好多种对付他们的”办法” |
[11:21] | Did you hear that, Leonard? | 听到了吗 莱纳德 |
[11:22] | There’s plenty we could do about it. | 我们有好多种对付他们的办法呢 |
[11:26] | Do you have a card? | 你有名片吗 |
[11:30] | Okay, here we go. | 好了 出来啦 |
[11:32] | Now everyone can see. | 现在大家都能看到了 |
[11:34] | All right. | 好的 |
[11:34] | Where do we stand on cross-eyed Mike? | 大家觉得斗鸡眼麦克如何啊 |
[11:39] | You know he won’t be looking at other girls. | 好歹他不能乱瞟看别的姑娘了 |
[11:45] | Unless they’re sitting on the end of his nose. | 除非她们坐在他鼻头上 |
[11:49] | Okay, okay, okay. Thumbs down. | 好 好 好 按”烂” |
[11:51] | Next. | 下一个 |
[11:53] | Ew, check out his tiny teeth. | 看看他那一嘴小牙齿 |
[11:55] | He looks like a man-dolphin. | 他好像一只人形海豚 |
[11:58] | Wait, if he’s good in bed, she can throw him a fish. | 如果他床技超群 你可以丢一条小鱼作奖励 |
[12:02] | I love you, Amy. | 我爱你 艾米 |
[12:10] | Okay, I’m starting to feel guilty. | 我开始有罪恶感了 |
[12:12] | Aren’t we being a little mean? | 我们是不是太毒舌了啊 |
[12:15] | That’s a fair point. | 你说得对 |
[12:17] | We wouldn’t make fun of someone like this to their face. | 我们肯定不会当着本人的面这么取笑他 |
[12:21] | Look, it’s Stuart! | 看 是斯图尔特 |
[12:26] | You may want to leave the room. | 你最好回避一下吧 |
[12:33] | Right this way, Uncle Harvey. | 这边请 哈维叔叔 |
[12:41] | Will you stop with that already? | 你能不能别装了 |
[12:42] | I’m trying not to attract attention. | 我这是在避免引人注意 |
[12:46] | And tipping his hat to the cleaning lady didn’t do that? | 你让他向清洁女工脱帽致意还不够引人注意吗 |
[12:49] | She said, “Buenas noches.” What was he supposed to do? | 她说了”晚安”[西语] 我叔叔还能怎么做 |
[12:53] | Let’s just start the experiment. | 我们还是赶紧开始实验吧 |
[12:54] | Leonard, we should probably have our story straight | 莱纳德 我们应该把故事编圆了 |
[12:56] | in case we get caught. | 以防到时被抓住 |
[12:57] | We’re not getting caught. | 我们不会被抓的 |
[12:58] | Well, you can’t be sure of that. | 你又不能保证这一点 |
[13:00] | What if the helium dealer rats us out? | 万一卖氦气的人出卖我们呢 |
[13:03] | What if Kripke asks where we got it? | 万一克里普奇问起这氦气的来历呢 |
[13:04] | What if the university checks my family tree | 万一学校查了我的家谱 |
[13:07] | and finds out I don’t have an Uncle Harvey? | 发现我根本就没有一个哈维叔叔怎么办 |
[13:10] | The dealer doesn’t care, Kripke has no authority over us, | 卖家没这么无聊 克里普奇又管不着我们 |
[13:13] | and you being related to a metal container | 而你和金属罐子有亲属关系 |
[13:15] | would explain a lot. | 反而更能解释你的种种 |
[13:18] | Help me hook this up. | 帮我把它接起来 |
[13:21] | What? | 怎么了 |
[13:22] | – Well, did you see this sticker? – What is it? | -你看到这个贴纸了吗 -怎么了 |
[13:24] | It’s partially torn off, but the segment that remains reads: | 虽然掉了一大半 不过剩下部分还依稀可见 |
[13:27] | “Property of” and the letter “U.” | 专属财产和一个U字 |
[13:29] | It’s probably USC or UCLA. | 可能是南加大 或加州大学洛杉矶分校吧 |
[13:31] | Yeah, but what if it’s “Property of U.S. Government”? | 但万一指的是美国[U.S.]政府专属财产怎么办 |
[13:34] | There’s a national helium reserve in Amarillo, Texas. | 德州的阿马里洛就有一个国家氦气保护区 |
[13:37] | If this was stolen from there, | 如果这个是从那里偷的 |
[13:38] | we’re accessories to a federal crime. | 我们就犯下了联邦重罪 |
[13:40] | Let’s not jump to conclusions. | 别这么快就下结论 |
[13:42] | A lot of things start with “U.” | U可以指好多东西呢 |
[13:43] | That’s true. | 你说得对 |
[13:45] | There’s the U.S. Air Force, | 可以指美国空军 |
[13:46] | U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Navy, | 美国国防部 美国海军 |
[13:48] | “You” And I are going to jail. | 还可以指你和我一起吃牢饭 |
[13:51] | Listen, we can do the experiment as planned | 听着 我们可以按计划做完实验 |
[13:54] | and beat the Swedish team to the punch, | 让瑞典人哭着回家找妈妈 |
[13:55] | or we can kiss our dreams good-bye | 或者我们可以和科研梦吻别 |
[13:57] | because we were to afraid to break a few rules. | 因为我们不敢违反一点小规则 |
[14:04] | Ma’am. | 女士您好 |
[14:08] | Okay, does everyone remember the rules? | 好了 大家都记住规则了吗 |
[14:10] | If he’s shirtless, one sip. | 如果他没穿衣服 喝一口 |
[14:12] | Posing with a pet, two sips. | 带着宠物摆姿势 喝两口 |
[14:15] | Pet and shirtless, chug like it’s your job. | 带宠物又没穿衣服 猛灌 |
[14:19] | And pull! | 开始 |
[14:25] | I have that same underwear! | 这条内裤我也有 |
[14:29] | Chug! | 灌 |
[14:32] | Mm, Amy, you’re getting a text. | 艾米 你收到条短信 |
[14:34] | Oh, um, give me that. | 给我 |
[14:35] | “I had a great time last night.” | “昨晚玩得很愉快” |
[14:37] | No, no, st-stop reading that. | 停停停 都别看了 |
[14:39] | – Who’s Dave? – I… | -谁是戴夫 -我… |
[14:40] | You went on a date last night? | 你昨晚上去约会了 |
[14:41] | Are you seeing someone? | 你在跟谁交往吗 |
[14:42] | No, it-it’s not like that. | 没有 不是那样的 |
[14:45] | “And I’d love to take you out again”? | “我很乐意再约你出来玩” |
[14:47] | – Amy! – What? | -艾米 -什么 |
[14:48] | – Can’t believe it. – Oh, my God. | -难以置信啊 -我的神啊 |
[14:50] | Okay, it’s like that. | 好吧 就是那样 |
[14:54] | Thank you for coming back. | 感谢你能回来 |
[14:56] | Yeah, well, normally I wouldn’t, | 没事 通常情况下我不会的 |
[14:58] | but my daughter’s having a sleepover, and there’s only | 可我女儿跟她的朋友们今晚在我家住 |
[14:59] | so much screaming and Katy Perry a man can take. | 尖叫加水果姐姐已经超越我的承受极限了 |
[14:59] | 美国知名女歌手 歌曲大多唱女性自强自尊 颇受小女孩到青少年女性喜欢 | |
[15:05] | Anyway, if you could just give us our money back, | 总之把钱还给我们 |
[15:06] | you can have your helium and we’ll be on our way. | 你拿走你的氦气 我们马上走 |
[15:09] | Yeah, well, is there something wrong with it? | 好 它有什么问题吗 |
[15:11] | No, nothing. We just changed our mind. | 没有 我们只是改变主意了 |
[15:13] | He has glasses and I’m a know-it-all; | 他是四眼田鸡 我是自以为是的瘦竹竿 |
[15:15] | we are not built for prison. | 我俩不适合蹲监狱 |
[15:18] | Yeah, I hear you. | 也是 有道理 |
[15:19] | Well, you’re good guys, so I’ll, uh… | 你们俩是好人 所以我… |
[15:21] | I’ll take the helium off your hands. | 我会把氦气拿走 |
[15:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[15:24] | But you ain’t getting your money back. | 但是钱不能还给你们 |
[15:27] | You’re taking advantage of us? | 你是想占我俩便宜吗 |
[15:29] | We clarified nomenclature together. | 我们不是一起弄清过语义吗 |
[15:33] | Look, I enjoy semantic digressions as much as the next guy, | 虽然我跟普通人一样都爱听语义教学 |
[15:36] | but, uh, this is business. | 可是在商言商嘛 |
[15:40] | You know what? | 算了 |
[15:41] | It’s fine. Keep the money. | 就这样吧 钱你留着 |
[15:42] | We just want to be done with this. | 我们只想赶紧脱手 |
[15:44] | No problem, but I am gonna have to charge you | 没问题 但我得跟你们收点 |
[15:45] | a small helium restocking fee. | 氦气退货费 |
[15:49] | I don’t understand. | 我不懂了 |
[15:50] | He wants more money. | 他想再要钱 |
[15:53] | Well, it better not be more than a thousand dollars; | 那最好别超过一千美金 |
[15:54] | that’s all I’ve got on me. | 我身上就这么多了 |
[15:58] | That’s exactly how much it is. | 正好就是那数 |
[16:02] | Finally, | 终于 |
[16:02] | something breaks our way. | 有个顺利的事了 |
[16:08] | I can’t believe you’re seeing someone | 不敢相信你居然在跟人约会 |
[16:10] | and we don’t even know about it. | 而我们什么都不知道 |
[16:11] | Yeah, why wouldn’t you tell us? | 对 你为什么不告诉我们呢 |
[16:13] | Because it’s new and weird | 因为这事才开始 又很奇怪 |
[16:14] | and I’m just trying to figure it all out. | 我自己还在摸索阶段 |
[16:17] | And I knew if I told you guys | 而且我知道 如果告诉了你们 |
[16:18] | I had been out with a few people | 我已经跟几个人约过会了 |
[16:20] | that you’d get way too excited about it. | 你们肯定会表现得太过兴奋 |
[16:21] | A few people? | 还几个人 |
[16:22] | – What?! – Amy! | -什么 -艾米 |
[16:25] | So, are we allowed to ask how it’s going? | 所以我们能问问 进展如何吗 |
[16:28] | It’s going fine. | 还行 |
[16:29] | It’s mostly just been meeting people for coffee. | 基本就是跟人见面喝个咖啡 |
[16:31] | Wha…?! | 什么 |
[16:35] | I thought we were all… | 我以为我们每次都要… |
[16:36] | Never mind. | 当我没说 |
[16:39] | I-I thought you weren’t ready to start seeing people. | 我以为你还没准备好跟别人约会呢 |
[16:42] | Well, I don’t have much experience dating, | 我没什么约会经验 |
[16:44] | so I decided it would be good for me | 所以觉得多出去见见世面 |
[16:45] | to, you know, get out there a little. | 对我来说是好事 |
[16:47] | Well, good for you. | 挺好的 |
[16:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[16:51] | And how many guys have you gone out with? | 你已经约过几个人了 |
[16:53] | Please be less than two. | 拜托不要超过2个 |
[16:54] | – Three. – Damn it. | -3个 -靠 |
[16:59] | Well, the Swedes might beat us, | 虽然我们可能会被瑞典人打败 |
[17:02] | but at least we won’t get gang-noogied in prison. | 可起码不用在监狱里被人”头皮转转功” |
[17:07] | Is Ernest Goes to Jail the only prison movie you’ve seen? | 监狱电影你是只看过《监狱宝贝蛋》吗 |
[17:12] | It scared me straight, Leonard. | 那电影把宝宝我吓乖了 莱纳德 |
[17:16] | Hey, I’ve been thinking. | 我想了想 |
[17:18] | I was being petty. | 是我太小气了 |
[17:20] | You can have my helium. | 你们可以用我的氦气 |
[17:22] | Thank you, Barry. | 谢谢你 巴里 |
[17:24] | But you have to add my name to your paper. | 但你们的论文得加上我的名字 |
[17:28] | That’s preposterous. | 太荒谬了 |
[17:29] | I don’t know, seems fair. | 我觉得挺公平的 |
[17:31] | You can’t do it without me. | 没我你们也做不成实验 |
[17:33] | Can you give us a minute? | 给我们一分钟 |
[17:34] | Take your time. | 慢慢商量 |
[17:35] | I’ll walk out backwards for dramatic effect. | 为了做效果 我会慢慢倒退出去 |
[17:46] | I don’t like being extorted like this. | 我不喜欢这样被敲诈 |
[17:48] | Especially by him of all people. | 尤其还是被他 |
[17:49] | Me neither, but what other choice do we have? | 我也不喜欢 可我们别无选择 |
[17:53] | I promise this is the last time. | 我保证这是最后一次 |
[18:03] | It’s says right here on the Wikipedia | 维基百科上写着呢 |
[18:05] | “A Mexican standoff is a confrontation between | “墨西哥对峙是由至少三方 |
[18:07] | at least three parties.” | 相对而立的结果” |
[18:09] | How can you trust Wikipedia | 你怎么敢信维基百科 |
[18:11] | if they use “between” to refer to three parties? | 他们居然用”相对而立”形容三方 |
[18:15] | They should’ve used “among,” right? | 它们应该用三足鼎立 对不对 |
[18:20] | Or “amongst,” if they were feeling whimsically archaic. | 或者鼎分三足 如果他们想带点古风古韵 |
[18:24] | All right, enough with the chitchat. | 好了 别聊这些闲话了 |
[18:26] | Are we gonna watch Ernest Goes to Jail or not? | 我们到底还看不看《监狱宝贝蛋》了 |
[18:29] | Absolutely. | 当然了 |
[18:30] | But don’t be surprised if this movie sets you | 但如果这部片子把你吓到从此老实做人 |
[18:32] | on the straight and narrow. | 你可别太吃惊 |
[18:34] | I am open to change. | 我这人乐于改变 |