时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | I was told I could have another big pancake | 我听说可以再来一块大煎饼 |
[00:07] | or two silver dollar ones. | 或者两块小煎饼 |
[00:08] | Yes, Mr. Pilaf. | 是的 匹拉夫老师 |
[00:10] | But, unfortunately, | 不过 不幸的是 |
[00:11] | we are running short on butter. | 黄油不够用了 |
[00:14] | So it is one pat per person. | 所以每人只能拿一小块黄油 |
[00:18] | Hey, Joel. | 早上好 乔尔 |
[00:19] | I’m late because my ex-wife called me on my way to work | 我前妻在我来的路上给我打电话 |
[00:21] | and it is really hard to talk on my bike. | 边打电话边骑车不方便 所以我来晚了 |
[00:23] | Carla called? What’d she say? | 卡拉打给你 她说什么了 |
[00:25] | Well, she’s looking for a house-sitter | 她需要有人给她看家 |
[00:26] | because she and her new boyfriend, Carl, | 因为她和新男友卡尔 |
[00:28] | want to go to her high school reunion, | 要去参加高中聚会 |
[00:30] | which is also my high school reunion. | 而那也是我的高中聚会 |
[00:32] | But now I won’t be going, since I’ll be house-sitting. | 但我没法去 因为我要给她看家 |
[00:34] | Wait, what? N-No. Why didn’t you stand up to her, | 慢着 你为什么不勇敢面对她 |
[00:36] | you know, and tell her no? | 直接拒绝呢 |
[00:38] | I tried, but it’s really hard. | 我也想 但是太难了 |
[00:40] | It’s like she has this power over me. | 就好像她能把我收于五指山下 |
[00:43] | Here you go. | 给你 |
[00:44] | Irene! You brought me two coffees. | 艾琳 你给我买了两杯咖啡 |
[00:46] | Yay! | 好棒 |
[00:48] | Oh, you look tired. | 你看起来没什么精神 |
[00:50] | You know what? | 这样吧 |
[00:51] | Why don’t you have one? | 给你来一杯 |
[00:52] | Thanks. Such a good friend. | 谢谢 你真是个好朋友 |
[00:55] | I know. | 我也这么觉得 |
[00:57] | Good morning, teachers, | 各位老师 早上好 |
[00:58] | and thank you for coming to this breakfast | 感谢你们来参加这次早餐会 |
[01:00] | even though it takes time away from our families, | 尽管这占用了大家和家人在一起的时间 |
[01:03] | or in my case, the family of possums living in my carport. | 对我来说就是和我车库那家子负鼠在一起的时间 |
[01:06] | Here is some good news. | 我有个好消息 |
[01:08] | An evaluator from the district is coming at the end of the week | 这周五 区里的评估员会过来 |
[01:11] | to assess everyone’s performance. | 评估大家的表现 |
[01:15] | Doug Pilaf, math department. | 我是数学部门的道格·匹拉夫 |
[01:17] | Why is that good news? | 这算哪门子的好消息 |
[01:19] | Doug, I know your name. | 道格 我知道你的名字 |
[01:20] | You’ve worked here for over 15 years. | 你在这工作都15年多了 |
[01:22] | And it is good news because | 这消息很好是因为 |
[01:23] | it is an opportunity for us | 这是我们让教育董事会 |
[01:25] | to convince the school board not to cut our budget. | 不要削减我们预算的好机会 |
[01:27] | Well, the science department can’t take any more cuts. | 科学部门不能再减预算了 |
[01:29] | We’ve been dissecting the same frog for, like, two years. | 我们把同一只青蛙解剖了大概有两年 |
[01:31] | And Meredith has been teaching the same lesson plan for two months. | 梅瑞迪丝还把同一个教案讲了两个月呢 |
[01:34] | Well, we just have to do a good job. | 我们只要表现好点就行了 |
[01:36] | And to do that, we gotta be prepared. | 为了表现好 我们就得准备好 |
[01:38] | So I will be sitting in on your classes today | 所以今天我会去你们的课上旁听 |
[01:40] | to help identify any weaknesses. | 帮你们发现问题 |
[01:43] | Now, along with the usual criteria, | 今年除了平时的标准 |
[01:45] | this year, there is a new category: | 还有一个新的考核项目 |
[01:46] | student engagement. | 学生参与度 |
[01:48] | We all know how difficult it is to keep kids interested, | 我们都知道要提起这些学生的兴趣有多难 |
[01:51] | living in this fast-paced, flip-phone, DVD world. | 他们生活在充斥着手机与光盘的快节奏世界 |
[01:54] | This touchy-feely stuff is crazy. I was taught | 这种互动教育太傻了 我是由一个 |
[01:57] | by a nun with a yardstick, and I turned out great. | 拿着码尺的修女教出来的 嘛事儿没有 |
[01:59] | Yeah, she probably taught you | 你的性知识 |
[02:00] | everything you know about sex, too, right? | 也都是她教的吧 |
[02:01] | But what if the evaluations are bad? | 如果评估结果不好呢 |
[02:03] | Calm down. | 淡定 |
[02:04] | There is no need to get worried. | 没必要担心 |
[02:06] | Unless the school board has to cut our budget | 除非教育董事会打算削减预算 |
[02:08] | and start firing teachers. Which is likely. | 开除老师 话说这很有可能 |
[02:11] | What? | 什么 |
[02:12] | Guys, relax. I’m sure, if you get fired, | 同志们 放轻松 我相信如果被开除了 |
[02:14] | there’s, like, a fancy severance package or, like, | 也能拿到遣散费 或者 |
[02:17] | a golden parachutey thing like the CEOs. | 总裁离职时的高额补偿金吧 |
[02:20] | It’s probably better. | 说不定还更好呢 |
[02:23] | Nope. | 没有 |
[02:25] | What? | 什么 |
[02:53] | He’s coming. Principal Carl’s coming. | 他来了 卡尔校长来了 |
[02:56] | Okay. If you guys are good for Principal Carl, | 好的 如果你们在校长面前表现得好 |
[02:59] | that is 50 NixonBucks | 你们每人就能拿到 |
[03:02] | for each of you. | 50尼克森币 |
[03:03] | Okay? You can use it at the school store | 你们可以在学校商店使用 |
[03:04] | and you can get, you know, whatever you kids want. | 能买你们小孩子想要的任何东西 |
[03:06] | What do you kids want? | 你们想要什么 |
[03:07] | For my parents to get back together. | 让我爸妈复合 |
[03:08] | Um, let’s talk after class. | 这个下了课再谈 |
[03:09] | ‘Cause maybe I can counsel your dad. | 我可能会给你爸爸提些建议 |
[03:11] | Uh, guys, that board is not gonna move itself. | 孩儿们 那个白板自己可动不了 |
[03:14] | Vic. Here’s 100 for you. | 维克 给你一百 |
[03:16] | You know what to do. | 你知道该干什么 |
[03:18] | And we’re excited… | 酝酿下气氛 |
[03:19] | And that last bit of knowledge | 我刚讲完的地方 |
[03:23] | is why America is the greatest | 解释了为什么美国是世界上 |
[03:26] | country in the world. | 最伟大的国家 |
[03:27] | Because your dreams | 因为你们的梦想 |
[03:29] | can fly higher than a bald eagle | 飞得比秃鹰[美国国鸟]还高 |
[03:32] | and your goals can soar | 你们的目标 |
[03:34] | above the heroes of Mount Rushmore. | 能翻越总统山 |
[03:42] | Oh, my God. | 天啊 |
[03:42] | Principal Carl! | 卡尔校长 |
[03:44] | I am so embarrassed. | 真是不好意思 |
[03:46] | I had just no idea | 我完全不知道 |
[03:48] | you would be here at this exact moment. | 你会在此时此刻到来 |
[03:51] | Anyway, we are just having | 我们就是在上一节 |
[03:52] | a totally normal class. | 非常普通的课 |
[03:54] | And Victor was just about to discuss our next chapter. | 维克多正要跟我们谈谈下一章 |
[03:57] | One of the greatest frustrations | 美洲殖民地 |
[03:59] | for the American colonies | 最大的困扰之一 |
[04:00] | was taxation by the British. | 就是英国人的课税 |
[04:02] | So, is he teaching class? | 他在讲课 |
[04:04] | Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. | 是的 是的 |
[04:05] | It’s something I read about in Good Teacher Magazine. | 这是我在《好老师杂志》上学到的 |
[04:07] | What’s the technique called? | 这个技巧叫什么 |
[04:10] | It’s called the | 叫做 |
[04:12] | Student… | 学 |
[04:15] | Makes… | 生 |
[04:16] | the… | 讲 |
[04:18] | Learning… | 课 |
[04:20] | Happen. | 术 |
[04:22] | Irene! | 艾琳 |
[04:23] | I have been looking for you everywhere. | 我到处找你呢 |
[04:27] | Can you cover my class this afternoon? | 今天下午能帮我代下课吗 |
[04:29] | I have so many papers to grade. And I just get better work | 我有好多卷子要改 而我在水疗馆 |
[04:31] | done at the SPA. It’s so quiet there. | 工作效率比较高 那里安静 |
[04:33] | Oh, yeah. It’s my off period anyway, so… | 好啊 反正我下午没课… |
[04:35] | Great. | 太棒了 |
[04:36] | You know, I haven’t heard from you yet on that Evite | 你还没有回复我的电子邀请函 |
[04:38] | for my sister’s birthday party. | 关于我姐姐生日派对的 |
[04:40] | You do not want to miss it. | 你可不想错过这个的 |
[04:41] | Says she’s getting out of bed this year. | 她今年可以下床了 |
[04:44] | Yeah, I’m still figuring out my schedule. | 恭喜 不过我还在安排我的日程 |
[04:46] | And my car is in the shop, and… | 再说我的车还在维修店里 而且… |
[04:48] | Oh, speaking of which, can you give me a ride | 对了 话说你明天可以 |
[04:49] | to school tomorrow? | 载我来学校吗 |
[04:50] | No problem. | 没问题 |
[04:51] | Okay, great. | 太棒了 |
[04:52] | Um… we love Meredith, | 我们都爱梅瑞迪丝 |
[04:54] | but your relationship with her seems… | 但是你和她的关系看上去 |
[04:57] | unfair. | 不平等 |
[04:59] | I don’t understand. What are you saying? | 我没理解 你是什么意思 |
[05:00] | Does she ever bring you breakfast? | 她会给你带早餐 |
[05:02] | Or give you rides? | 开车载你 |
[05:03] | Or have you over to her place? | 或者请你去她家玩吗 |
[05:04] | Oh, yeah, well, I was just over there | 会啊 我上次才去那儿 |
[05:06] | for a hand laundry and ironing party. | 玩了个洗衣熨衣派对 |
[05:08] | Good thing I was, too, or nobody would have shown up. | 还好我去了 不然就一个人都没了 |
[05:15] | Hey, the day’s almost over. | 快放学了 |
[05:16] | You gonna make it to the gym, | 你要去体育馆 |
[05:17] | give me a little pre-evaluation feedback? | 给我个评估前反馈吗 |
[05:19] | Nope. | 不去 |
[05:20] | Just make sure the dodge balls are inflated | 你只要保证躲避球充满气 |
[05:22] | and nobody’s bleeding. You’ll do just fine. | 没有人受伤就可以了 |
[05:24] | Well, I mean, physical education is-is more than that. | 其实体育不仅是这样 |
[05:27] | And you know I’ve been petitioning | 你也知道我一直在请愿 |
[05:28] | to get raises for the coaches | 给体育老师加薪 |
[05:29] | so that we can do a lot… | 这样我们才能… |
[05:30] | Joel. | 乔尔 |
[05:31] | The kids love gym. | 孩子们喜欢体育课 |
[05:33] | But let’s not overstate its value. | 但我们也别夸大它的价值 |
[05:35] | You’re kind of like a glorified recess supervisor, | 说难听点你就是个课间监督员 |
[05:37] | except recess supervisors make more money. | 只不过课间监督员比你挣得多 |
[05:39] | Well, I know, that’s why I’m fighting… | 我知道 这就是为什么我在反抗… |
[05:41] | Joel. | 乔尔 |
[05:42] | I failed one class in my life. | 我这辈子就挂过一科 |
[05:44] | That was gym. | 就是体育课 |
[05:44] | Because I couldn’t climb a dumb rope. | 就因为我爬不上一条臭绳子 |
[05:47] | But who cares? | 但那又怎样 |
[05:48] | I still went to Stanford. | 我还是上了斯坦福大学 |
[05:50] | Still have my dream job… | 还是得到了我的理想工作 |
[05:52] | and my student loans. | 和学生贷款 |
[05:54] | But in six years, I will be free and clear… | 但六年后 我就能偿清贷款 |
[05:56] | of the interest. | 的利息了 |
[05:57] | The point is this: | 我想说的是 |
[05:59] | Gym is the least of my concerns. | 我一点也不担心体育课 |
[06:00] | Now, keep up the good work. | 所以好好工作 再接再厉 |
[06:11] | Whatever you’re doing better be school-related. | 你印的东西最好和教学有关 |
[06:13] | It is, unlike all those | 当然 我可不像你 |
[06:14] | “Missing Cat” fliers you printed last week. | 上周印了那么多寻猫启事 |
[06:16] | Not only did I never find Noodles, | 我不仅没找到小面条 |
[06:19] | but thanks to you, the last image | 而且因为你 我对她 |
[06:21] | I have of her was a black-and-white photocopy | 最后的印象就成了一张画着 |
[06:22] | with a red penis drawn on it. | 红色丁丁的黑白照 |
[06:24] | Oh, I’m guessing that was | 我猜那大概是 |
[06:25] | the first penis you’d seen in a long time, huh? | 你这么久以来见的第一条老二吧 |
[06:27] | Good luck with district evaluations. | 祝你评估顺利 |
[06:29] | You’ve heard the expression | 你应该听过这句话吧 |
[06:30] | “Last in, first out”, right? | 最后入 第一出 |
[06:32] | Only in regards to threesomes. | 只在三人行的时候听过 |
[06:36] | What do you got there? | 你拿的什么 |
[06:37] | What, you’re counterfeiting NixonBucks? | 你在伪造尼克森币吗 |
[06:39] | Are you bribing the students? | 你在贿赂学生 |
[06:40] | – Geez. – “Bribing” is such an ugly word. | -天啊 -“贿赂”这个词多难听 |
[06:42] | But yeah, I am. | 不过 确实如此 |
[06:44] | Have you ever heard of the phrase, “Last in, first out”? | 你听过”最后入 第一出”这句话吗 |
[06:47] | Yeah. It means, like, the first person fired | 听过 意思就是最晚被雇的人 |
[06:49] | is usually the most recent person hired. | 一般是最早被开除的人 |
[06:53] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[06:54] | I just finished my classroom visits, | 我刚刚旁听完 |
[06:56] | and I am not gonna lie to you. | 我不想撒谎 |
[06:58] | I am nervous. | 我好紧张 |
[07:00] | But hopefully, you’ll all rally to save your jobs. | 但愿你们都能保住饭碗 |
[07:02] | Everyone was a little weak, | 除了一个人 |
[07:04] | with one exception. | 每个人都有些问题 |
[07:08] | Meredith Davis. Congratulations. | 恭喜你 梅瑞迪丝·戴维斯 |
[07:09] | What? Meredith? | 什么 梅瑞迪丝 |
[07:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[07:17] | Principal Carl, | 卡尔校长 |
[07:18] | I have always had the highest evaluations. | 我的评估一直都是最好的 |
[07:21] | I have been Teacher of the Year for nine years running. | 我连续当了九年的年度最佳教师 |
[07:23] | I don’t mean to add to the awkwardness, Ginny, | 金妮 我也不想再下你面子 |
[07:25] | but due to the new criteria, | 不过在最新标准下 |
[07:26] | you had the lowest rating. | 你的评分最低 |
[07:28] | Oh, God. | 好惨哦 |
[07:29] | You’re an amazing teacher, | 你是个好老师 |
[07:30] | but you’re just not holding their interest. | 但你就是没法提起学生的兴趣 |
[07:32] | But I have an idea. Meredith? | 我有个好主意 梅瑞迪丝 |
[07:34] | What would you think about | 去旁听金妮的历史课 |
[07:35] | sitting in on Ginny’s history class? | 不知你意下如何 |
[07:38] | Giving her some pointers, | 给她点指导 |
[07:40] | how to liven things up? | 教她怎么调动气氛 |
[07:42] | Well… well, gosh, I’d be honored. | 天啊 我深感荣幸 |
[07:45] | Thank you for that. | 太谢谢你了 |
[07:46] | I would just love | 我实在太愿意 |
[07:47] | to help out my lowest-achieving, | 帮助评估成绩惨烈 |
[07:49] | most under-performing, | 表现无法直视 |
[07:51] | worst colleague be a little bit less awful. | 学校最差同事 变得稍微不那么差 |
[07:55] | You know… maybe the last one in | 也许后浪 |
[07:59] | pushes the first one out. | 要把前浪拍死在沙滩上了 |
[08:05] | I’m sorry for the mess. | 抱歉车上这么乱 |
[08:07] | Haven’t had a passenger in a while. | 好久都没载过人了 |
[08:09] | At least not a two-legged one. | 至少没载过两条腿的 |
[08:10] | Um, where’s my coffee? | 我的咖啡在哪 |
[08:12] | Okay, I wanted to talk to you about something, Meredith. | 好吧 我想跟你谈点事情 梅瑞迪丝 |
[08:15] | You know how | 你知道 |
[08:16] | intestinal helminths siphon blood and nutrients | 肠内蛔虫是如何从寄主身体里 |
[08:18] | from their host organisms? | 吸食血液和营养的吗 |
[08:19] | I’d be following this a lot closer if I had coffee. | 如果有咖啡我能听得更明白些 |
[08:22] | Okay, do you know what a parasite is? | 好吧 那你知道寄生虫是什么吗 |
[08:23] | Parasites are not just hookworms, flukes or barnacles. | 寄生虫不止有钩虫 吸虫 藤壶这些 |
[08:26] | I mean, any species can be a parasite. | 所有的物种都可以是寄生虫 |
[08:29] | Even humans. | 甚至人类 |
[08:30] | Do you have anything to eat in here? | 你这儿有吃的吗 |
[08:32] | But other organisms, | 但是其他生物 |
[08:33] | like undersea tube worms, | 比如深海管虫 |
[08:35] | or like digestive bacteria, for example, | 或者消化细菌 |
[08:37] | those have symbiotic relationships. | 它们都有共生关系 |
[08:40] | Where they both buy each other coffee. | 它们会互相买咖啡 |
[08:42] | Meredith, do you understand what I’m saying? | 梅瑞迪丝 你明白我在说什么吗 |
[08:45] | Yes! | 得嘞 |
[08:46] | Great. | 那就好 |
[08:47] | I found something. | 我找到吃的了 |
[08:50] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:51] | So I know it’s not your thing, | 我知道你不太感冒 |
[08:53] | but I want us to go to this exhibit | 但是我想咱俩一起去个展览 |
[08:55] | where you see dead bodies in motion. | 去看活动的死尸 |
[08:57] | Oh, I’m still totally | 我还在努力 |
[08:59] | trying to figure out my schedule, so… | 安排我的日程 所以… |
[09:00] | Okay. No, you’re not. | 你才没有 |
[09:02] | And it’s what I want to do. | 这是我想做的事 |
[09:04] | After school, today, with you. | 今天放学和你一起去 |
[09:06] | Fine. But next week after school, | 好吧 不过下周放了学 |
[09:08] | I want to go to traffic court with you… | 你得和我去交通法庭 |
[09:10] | as my witness. | 做我的证人 |
[09:11] | I need you to say that | 你得作证 |
[09:12] | I was not blocking that driveway, | 我没有挡住那条车道 |
[09:13] | and that that fire truck | 那辆消防车 |
[09:14] | could have easily gone around me. | 完全可以从我旁边过去的 |
[09:16] | Okay. | 没问题 |
[09:17] | – It’s a symbiotic deal. – Great. | -这就是个共生协议 -棒极了 |
[09:19] | After years of war, | 经过多年的战乱 |
[09:21] | starvation and sickness, | 饥荒与瘟疫 |
[09:23] | the South surrendered, | 南方投降了 |
[09:24] | bringing a decisive end to… | 成为决定性的… |
[09:28] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[09:31] | You think a war that divided our nation | 你觉得一场分裂我们国家 |
[09:33] | and pitted brother against brother is boring? | 和同胞的战争很无聊吗 |
[09:35] | The way you’re teaching it. | 是你教得无聊 |
[09:36] | Well, I’m not gonna take teaching advice from a woman | 我可不要一个上课教学生 |
[09:38] | who taught her class that President Garfield | 加菲尔德总统爱吃千层面的人 |
[09:40] | loved lasagna. | 给我建议 |
[09:41] | Can you prove that he didn’t? | 你能证明他不爱吃吗 |
[09:42] | I don’t know what your problem is with me. | 我不知道你对我有什么意见 |
[09:44] | I don’t know what your problem is with me. | 我才不知道你对我有什么意见呢 |
[09:47] | Dismissed! | 下课 |
[09:50] | And how are things going in here? | 这节课上得怎么样 |
[09:52] | I can’t help her. She’s too uptight. | 我没法帮她了 她太狂躁了 |
[09:55] | I’m too uptight? Well, you’re too down-loose! | 我太狂躁 那你还太松垮呢 |
[09:58] | I-I mean, you’re loose down there. | 我是说你胯下太松 |
[10:00] | Okay. Well, maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. | 好吧 可能这不是个好主意 |
[10:02] | No, it’s a great idea– ’cause now I can | 不 这是个好主意 因为她被炒后 |
[10:03] | take over her class when she gets fired. | 我就能接管她的课了 |
[10:05] | Principal Carl, | 卡尔校长 |
[10:06] | do you see what I have been putting up with? | 您看到我都在忍受些什么吗 |
[10:09] | And she keeps making those noises! | 而且她还老发出打呼声 |
[10:11] | Actually, I think that was Kim. | 那应该是金姆发出来的 |
[10:14] | Kim! | 金姆 |
[10:15] | All right, come on, guys, come on! | 加油 同学们 加油 |
[10:17] | Pull! You got this! | 加把劲啊 |
[10:19] | Pull! | 使劲拉 |
[10:21] | Oh, almost! | 就差一点 |
[10:23] | I really thought you were gonna get me that time. | 我真以为你们这次能赢我呢 |
[10:24] | All right, back up. Come on. | 站好 快点 |
[10:26] | Okay, Joel. I get it. | 好的 乔尔 我明白 |
[10:27] | You’re an inspiration to us all. | 你启发着我们每一个人 |
[10:29] | Is that why you called me here? | 这就是你叫我过来的原因吗 |
[10:30] | Because I have things to do and this place smells | 我还有事要办 而且这个地方闻起来就像 |
[10:32] | like the inside of my old Malcolm X cap. | 老马尔科姆·艾克斯[美国黑人领袖]帽子里的气味 |
[10:34] | I got something for you. | 我给你准备了个东西 |
[10:36] | I found the old P.E. Rope and hung it up. | 我找到了原来体育课的绳子 挂了起来 |
[10:38] | Well, I had the janitor hang it up, | 其实我是让门卫挂起来的 |
[10:39] | but I told him where to put it. | 不过是我告诉他挂在哪的 |
[10:41] | Now I’m gonna teach you how to get up that rope. | 现在我要教你怎么攀上那根绳子 |
[10:42] | Yeah, but I can’t climb. That’s why I failed gym. | 我攀不上去 不然我怎么会挂了体育课 |
[10:45] | I can get you up that rope. | 我能让你攀上去 |
[10:46] | Yeah, but I don’t want to get up that rope; | 可我不想攀上去 |
[10:48] | – I am fine. – Are you fine? You fine, Carl? | -我很好 -你好吗 卡尔 |
[10:51] | ‘Cause, um, you’re house-sitting for your ex, right? | 可你还在给你前妻看家 不是吗 |
[10:53] | What does house-sitting have to do with climbing a rope? | 看家跟攀绳有什么关系 |
[10:55] | Carl, why do people run marathons? | 卡尔 为什么有人要跑马拉松 |
[10:57] | It’s not for the blue toenails and the bloody nipples, right? | 不是为了挤淤青的脚趾甲和磨出血的奶头 |
[11:00] | It’s to prove to themselves that they can | 是为了证明他们可以 |
[11:01] | accomplish something that seems impossible. | 完成看似不可能之事 |
[11:03] | Like saying no to Carla. | 比如拒绝卡拉 |
[11:05] | You don’t understand. I can’t say no to her. | 你不明白 我没法拒绝她 |
[11:07] | She was my life! | 她曾是我的一切 |
[11:10] | Carl, my job is to inspire kids. | 卡尔 我的工作是启发孩子 |
[11:12] | Or adults who are scared to do kid things. | 或者连孩子都不如的大人 |
[11:14] | I take my job very seriously. | 我很认真对待自己的工作 |
[11:15] | Now, get up that rope! Come on! | 爬上去吧 加油 |
[11:16] | I can’t! | 我做不到 |
[11:19] | Lincoln’s secretary was named Kennedy. | 林肯总统的秘书叫肯尼迪 |
[11:23] | And Kennedy’s secretary was named Lincoln! | 肯尼迪总统的秘书叫林肯 |
[11:29] | That was engaging, right? | 这样讲课有意思吧 |
[11:31] | Victor, good job. | 维克多 不错呀 |
[11:32] | Your handwriting’s so much less girly. | 你的字没那么娘炮了 |
[11:34] | I’ve been trying. | 人家有在努力嘛 |
[11:36] | Proud of you! | 为你骄傲 |
[11:39] | What do you want? | 你想怎么样 |
[11:39] | Oh, you’re giving a test. Never mind. | 你在监考啊 没事 |
[11:43] | What, are you spying on me now? | 你现在是在监视我吗 |
[11:45] | No. Just forget it, okay? | 不是 当我没来 行吧 |
[11:47] | Well, if you’re not spying on me, | 如果你不是来监视我的 |
[11:48] | then what are you doing? | 那你来干什么的 |
[11:49] | You’ll just make fun of me. | 说了你会笑我的 |
[11:50] | Probably. Go on. | 可能吧 继续说 |
[11:52] | I don’t like you. | 我不喜欢你 |
[11:53] | Feeling is mutual. | 彼此彼此 |
[11:55] | But you are good with the students. | 但你和学生处得很好 |
[11:57] | Yeah, I know. | 那是 |
[11:58] | I’m worried about the evaluations. | 我很担心评估的事 |
[12:00] | And? | 然后呢 |
[12:02] | I need your help. | 我需要你帮我 |
[12:04] | Why would I help you? | 我为什么要帮你 |
[12:06] | Well, how does a free drink sound? | 请你喝一杯怎么样 |
[12:08] | Like the most exciting night of your life | 听起来像你这辈子最嗨的夜晚 |
[12:11] | and the most boring night of mine. | 我这辈子最无聊的夜晚 |
[12:14] | But maybe you’re actually tolerable when you’re drunk. | 不过你喝醉了说不定我还能忍你 |
[12:16] | – So? – Okay. | -那怎么样 -好吧 |
[12:26] | What are the balloons for? | 你拿气球干什么 |
[12:27] | Oh, so Meredith and I can find each other | 这样即使我和梅瑞迪丝在博物馆走散了 |
[12:29] | at the museum in case we get separated. | 也能找到彼此 |
[12:31] | Like at that beach clean-up trip | 好比上次去海滩做清洁 |
[12:32] | when she ended up on that rich guy’s boat. | 她就跑到一个土豪的船上去了 |
[12:34] | That was a close one. | 差点就走散了哦 |
[12:36] | Well, I saw Meredith go over to Juanita’s | 我看到梅瑞迪丝和泰勒-克莱普老师 |
[12:38] | with Ms. Taylor-Clapp. | 去胡安妮塔餐厅了 |
[12:39] | Yeah, but we’re supposed to be seeing dead bodies together. | 可我们该一起去看死尸的啊 |
[12:49] | Whoa, who knew that you would be able to keep up with me? | 没想到你能跟上我的酒量 |
[12:52] | Well, there’s a lot you don’t know about me. | 关于我还有很多你不知道的事呢 |
[12:54] | Did you know that I like tight ponytails and cardigan sweaters? | 你知道我喜欢紧马尾和开襟毛衣吗 |
[12:56] | Those are literally the only things I know about you. | 这应该是我对你仅有的了解了 |
[13:01] | Okay, so, what do you want to know about teaching? | 你想知道有关教学的什么东西 |
[13:04] | Well, how do you “Engage the kids”? | 你是怎么调动学生参与的 |
[13:08] | I bribe ’em. | 我贿赂他们 |
[13:12] | I know that I’m really good at talking to the kids. | 我知道自己很会和孩子们聊天 |
[13:15] | Like, maybe even a genius at it. | 简直我认第二 没人敢认第一 |
[13:19] | You know, I never expected to be anything other than | 但除了做一个超级火辣 无比性感的女人外 |
[13:21] | an exceptionally hot woman with universal sex appeal, | 我从没想过自己能做成别的什么 |
[13:25] | and I certainly never expected | 更别说是 |
[13:27] | to be even remotely good at teaching. | 做个好老师了 |
[13:30] | But look at me. Here I am teaching you. | 但瞧瞧啊 我现在在教你 |
[13:35] | Yes, you are! | 是啊 |
[13:38] | And actually, | 实际上 |
[13:39] | I really think that I’m gonna kill | 我觉得我会在明天的评估课上 |
[13:41] | at these evaluations tomorrow. | 惊爆全场 |
[13:43] | And thank God, right? | 真希望如此 |
[13:44] | Because it’s so scary that just one bad review could | 有一个不好的评估就会丢掉饭碗 |
[13:47] | cost you your job, you know? | 真是太可怕了 |
[13:48] | I know. | 是啊 |
[13:51] | Another round? | 还来一杯吗 |
[13:52] | Anothers… round. | 再来 杯很多 |
[14:01] | Same thing? | 还要一样的 |
[14:02] | Vodka soda with lime and a water with lime. | 一杯加柠檬的伏特加和一杯加柠檬的水 |
[14:10] | Good morning, Nixon Quakers! | 早上好 尼克森的大伙们 |
[14:12] | Just a reminder, today is evaluation day. | 友情提示 今天是评估日哦 |
[14:15] | So, hopefully, everyone’s at their very Nixon best. | 希望大家都发挥得倍儿好 |
[14:20] | Oh, crap. | 糟了 |
[14:25] | Okay, so I think we better start without Meredith. | 看来我们只能不等梅瑞迪丝先开始了 |
[14:28] | Hopefully, she was just in a car accident. | 希望她只是出了车祸 |
[14:30] | So, the evaluator arrived a few minutes ago, | 评估员几分钟前刚到 |
[14:33] | and he has informed me that we will have our scores | 他告诉我 今天放学时分就能得知 |
[14:36] | by the end of the day. | 我们的评分了 |
[14:38] | So good luck, everyone. | 祝大家好运 |
[14:39] | No luck needed, Principal Carl. | 无需好运 卡尔校长 |
[14:42] | All right. | 好吧 |
[14:43] | Your ex-wife called, and she asked | 你前妻打电话来了 她让你 |
[14:45] | that while you’re house-sitting, | 看家的时候 |
[14:46] | that you sleep on the pull-out couch, but don’t pull it out | 要睡在折叠沙发上 但不要把它展开 |
[14:49] | ’cause it leaves marks on the carpet. | 因为它会在地毯上压出痕迹 |
[14:51] | Got it. | 知道了 |
[14:52] | Do you want me to get her on the phone for you? | 要我帮你给她回个电话吗 |
[14:54] | Not yet. | 还不用 |
[15:04] | Coach Kotsky… | 考茨基教练 |
[15:06] | get me up that rope. | 帮我爬上那根绳子 |
[15:12] | Oh, my God, Irene, thank God. Is that for me? | 艾琳 太好了 这是给我的吗 |
[15:15] | I saw you with Ginny. | 我看到你和金妮在一起 |
[15:16] | – She needed me. – I needed you! | -她需要我 -我也需要你 |
[15:18] | They don’t let singles into the dead body exhibit | 死尸展览不让单个游客进入参观 |
[15:20] | for obvious reasons. | 显然是有原因的 |
[15:21] | Okay, well, I meant to text you | 知道 我本想给你发条短信 |
[15:23] | that I was “Coming down with something,” | 告诉你我有事不能来 |
[15:24] | and then she and I got so drunk, I just forgot. | 但是我跟她都喝醉了 我就给忘了 |
[15:27] | Really? Ginny doesn’t even drink. | 是吗 金妮根本就不喝酒 |
[15:30] | Wait– what? | 慢着 你说什么 |
[15:30] | Yeah, not even champagne. | 她连香槟都不喝 |
[15:32] | She celebrates stuff with corked milk. | 她都喝牛奶来庆祝 |
[15:33] | That sneaky bitch must have been ordering herself waters! | 那个小贱人肯定一直在喝水 |
[15:37] | We cannot let her win. Irene, you have to help me. | 我们不能让她得逞 艾琳 你得帮我 |
[15:40] | You know, I didn’t want to believe it, | 我还不想相信的 |
[15:42] | but you are a parasite. | 但你确实是条寄生虫 |
[15:48] | Yo, Pfaff! | 普法夫 |
[15:50] | Can you, um, tell me when that evaluator guy is coming? | 能告诉我评估员什么时候到吗 |
[15:54] | I will make it worth your while. | 不会亏了你的 |
[15:56] | Those things are worthless now. | 那东西现在不值钱了 |
[15:57] | There was a hyperinflation at the school store, and… | 学校商店都通货膨胀了… |
[16:00] | Shh! I get it, I get it. | 知道了 知道了 |
[16:03] | Ms. Davis? | 戴维斯老师 |
[16:06] | You must be the evaluator. | 您一定是评估员了吧 |
[16:07] | Well, I just didn’t realize how sexy you would be. | 真没想到您会这么帅气有型 |
[16:12] | I’m Mr. Bright, the district supervisor, | 我是布莱特先生 区督导员 |
[16:15] | and I’m completely aware that my looks are average. | 我很清楚我长相平平 |
[16:17] | That’s okay. | 没关系 |
[16:20] | I know you must be thinking, “District supervisor. | 我知道你们一定在想 区督导员 |
[16:24] | “Kind of like a superhero. | 有点像超级英雄呢 |
[16:26] | A little intimidating.” | 好怕怕 |
[16:28] | Well, just relax. | 大家放轻松 |
[16:29] | I’m-I’m a regular guy, believe it or not. | 不管你们信不信 我就是个普通人 |
[16:32] | And I’m here to watch a regular class. | 而我现在来听一节普通的课 |
[16:34] | Great. So happy to have you. Welcome. | 太好了 非常欢迎您的到来 |
[16:36] | We’re gonna get started with this thing I do | 就照我平时那样开始吧 |
[16:39] | where a student teaches the class. | 那就是让学生来上课 |
[16:41] | You’re gonna love it. Victor, | 您一定会喜欢的 维克多 |
[16:43] | floor is yours. | 讲台归你了 |
[16:46] | Today, I will talk about why | 今天 我要讲讲 |
[16:47] | the American colonies declared independence. | 为什么美洲殖民地要宣告独立 |
[16:50] | Oh, okay, young man, have a seat. | 好了 小朋友 你坐回去 |
[16:53] | Ms. Davis, | 戴维斯老师 |
[16:54] | I can’t do my job unless | 你得上去教课 |
[16:55] | you’re the one doing the teaching. | 不然我这工作没法做 |
[16:59] | You’re funny. | 您真幽默 |
[17:00] | It wasn’t a joke. | 我没开玩笑 |
[17:02] | You’ll know when I’m joking. You’ll be in stitches. | 我说笑时你会知道的 你会笑尿 |
[17:05] | Sorry, was that a joke? | 不好意思 这是个笑话吗 |
[17:10] | I’m gonna need you to teach this class now. | 你现在得上讲台授课 |
[17:13] | Joel, this is impossible! I’m too high! | 乔尔 我办不到 太高了 |
[17:16] | No, come on, Carl! You got this, baby! Keep going! | 别放弃 卡尔 你可以的 加油爬 |
[17:19] | Oh, I can’t! | 不行 |
[17:20] | – Oh, I quit! – Oh, no, no, no! | -我放弃 -不不 别啊 |
[17:22] | Remember, it’s just scoop and stomp! | 记住 就是缠住踩上 |
[17:24] | Scoop, okay? And stomp. | 缠住 然后踩上 |
[17:27] | Then you stand. Scoop and stomp, all right? | 再站直 缠住踩上 懂了吗 |
[17:30] | You got this. Come on. Look up there, Carl. | 你可以的 加油 抬头看 卡尔 |
[17:32] | – What do you see? – A wasp nest? | -你看到了什么 -黄蜂窝吗 |
[17:34] | No, freedom. Now, climb up there and grab it. | 不 是自由 快爬上去抓住它 |
[17:36] | Just watch out for the wasps | 小心着点黄蜂 |
[17:37] | – because, you know, Coach Donnie sold our first-aid kit. – Okay. | -唐尼教练把咱的急救箱给卖了 -好吧 |
[17:41] | Well, so, basically, like, long story short, | 总而言之 长话短说 |
[17:45] | the American colonies were paying | 美洲殖民地给国王 |
[17:47] | all these taxes to the king and getting nothing in return. | 纳了好多税 自己却毫无回报 |
[17:53] | Like, nothing… | 完全 |
[17:55] | at all. | 没有 |
[17:56] | Like, zilch. | 毛都没有 |
[17:57] | Okay, I think we get it. Would you please move on? | 我们听懂了 你能继续讲课吗 |
[18:00] | Sure, yeah-yeah. No, I was just about to get | 当然 我正要讲下一点呢 |
[18:01] | to the next point, which was that… | 下一点是 |
[18:03] | that the king was like, “Uh-uh, denied! | 国王大怒拒绝了 |
[18:06] | No way, Jose.” | 没门儿 何塞 |
[18:09] | So, Mr. Evaluator, | 评估员先生 |
[18:11] | it was, like, a pretty sucky time | 这对美洲殖民地来说 |
[18:14] | for the colonists. | 是一段惨痛过往 |
[18:21] | Oh, because the king was a parasite. | 因为国王是寄生虫 |
[18:23] | You know, something that lives off another thing? | 就是寄生在其他生物上的那种东西 |
[18:26] | The king was like | 国王就好像 |
[18:28] | a hookworm on the intestine of America. | 美洲肠子里的钩虫一般 |
[18:32] | And the colonists were, like, totally right | 而殖民地居民要宣告独立 |
[18:35] | to want to declare independence, you know? | 完全是正确之举 |
[18:37] | Because all they really wanted | 因为他们只想要 |
[18:40] | was a symbiotic relationship. | 一段共生关系 |
[18:46] | Can you name another parasite? | 你们还能列举其他寄生虫吗 |
[18:47] | Illegal immigrants. | 非法移民 |
[18:49] | What?! He’s joking. | 什么 他在开玩笑 |
[18:52] | He’s joke… he’s joking. | 他在说 他在说笑 |
[18:54] | Stand up! Yeah! | 站直身体 对 |
[18:56] | I’m doing it! I am doing it! | 我在攀绳呢 我成了 |
[18:58] | See? This is why I do this. | 看到没 这才是我请你来的原因 |
[19:00] | This is what I wanted you to evaluate. | 这才是我想让你评估的教学方式 |
[19:01] | I get it. I do. | 我明白了 我懂 |
[19:03] | Physical education does matter, right? | 体育很重要 对吧 |
[19:07] | Hoops have nets. Good enough. | 篮圈有网 可以了 |
[19:10] | Oh, come on. Really? | 拜托 不是吧 |
[19:12] | All right, I’m calling Carla. | 好了 我要打给卡拉 |
[19:18] | I got here voice mail. | 是留言信箱 |
[19:19] | Leave a message. | 给她留言 |
[19:20] | Hello, Carla? This is Carl. | 喂 卡拉 我是卡尔 |
[19:23] | I’m calling to tell you to get yourself a new house-sitter. | 我想说 再找个看家的吧 |
[19:26] | And dog-sitter. | 还有看狗的 |
[19:27] | I’m busy with my new life. | 我忙着过新生活呢 |
[19:29] | I climb ropes now. | 我现在都能攀绳了 |
[19:30] | Okay, now, get on down here so we can celebrate! Come on! | 好了 快下来咱们好庆祝庆祝 快来 |
[19:35] | Ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们先生们 |
[19:36] | the district evaluator’s results are in, | 区评估员给出结果了 |
[19:39] | and Nixon Middle… | 尼克森中学 |
[19:41] | needs improvement! Your jobs are safe! | 有待提高 你们的饭碗保住了 |
[19:45] | Doug Pilaf, math department. What about the budget cuts? | 数学部门的道格·匹拉夫 那预算削减呢 |
[19:48] | I just heard from the superintendent, | 我刚收到教育主管的消息 |
[19:50] | and they’re still making cuts. | 他们仍旧要削减开支 |
[19:52] | They’re getting rid of the art program at LBJ Middle! | 他们要把LBJ中学的艺术课给结了 |
[19:55] | Those smug bastards! | 那群装逼货 |
[20:03] | Meredith, uh… | 梅瑞迪丝 |
[20:05] | I really liked your parasites lecture. | 我很喜欢你那番寄生虫的言论 |
[20:07] | Oh, thanks. And, you know, if you want | 谢谢 如果你想去 |
[20:08] | to go see dead bodies, like, we can. | 看死尸的话 咱们就去吧 |
[20:10] | Oh, no, no. It was… it was just more | 不不 我其实主要想 |
[20:12] | about spending time together. | 跟你一起玩耍 |
[20:13] | Dead bodies, just a bonus. | 死尸什么的 额外奖励而已 |
[20:18] | Oh, look. How was your water last night? | 你昨晚水喝得怎么样 |
[20:20] | I didn’t force you to drink so much vodka | 我可没逼你喝这么多伏特加 |
[20:23] | or to make out with that poster | 或是跟那张 |
[20:24] | of “The Most Interesting Man in the World.” | “世界最有趣先生”的海报亲热 |
[20:26] | No, you didn’t, | 你是没有 |
[20:26] | but you did try to sabotage my evaluation. | 但你的确想破坏我的授课评估 |
[20:29] | Which means you were scared I was gonna do better than you. | 也就是说 你怕我会比你优秀 |
[20:31] | Which means… | 也就是说 |
[20:32] | someone thinks I’m a good teacher. | 某人认为我是好老师 |
[20:35] | No, I don’t. | 才没有 |
[20:36] | Boom! | 傻了吧 |
[20:38] | I do. | 我认为你是好老师 |
[20:39] | Kim! | 金姆 |
[20:43] | This is definitely the best | 这绝对是你办过的 |
[20:45] | hand laundry and ironing party you have ever had. | 最棒的洗衣熨衣派对 |
[20:47] | I know. Irene, you were so right. | 可不是 艾琳 你说得太对了 |
[20:50] | This is so much more fun being equals. | 平等关系有意思得多 |
[20:54] | Refill? | 再满上 |
[20:54] | Don’t mind if I do. | 可别见怪 |
[20:56] | Kim, another round! | 金姆 再来两杯 |
[20:58] | Sure, but… | 好 但是 |
[21:00] | I think I shrunk your sweater. | 我好像把你的毛衣洗缩水了 |
[21:02] | – Kim! – Kim! | -金姆 -金姆 |
[21:03] | Coming right up. | 奴婢这就来 |
[21:04] | – Jinx. – Jinx. | -倒霉 -呸掉 |
[21:06] | – Kim! – Kim! | -金姆 -金姆 |