英文名称:A Serious Man
年代:2009
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:48] | (SPEAKING YIDDISH) | (依地语)太神奇了… 太神奇了… |
[00:56] | Dora! | 多拉! |
[00:57] | (DORA SPEAKING YIDDISH) | |
[02:26] | (LAUGHING) | |
[02:54] | (KNOCKING ON DOOR) | |
[03:44] | (CHUCKLES) | |
[04:32] | (LAUGHS) | |
[05:17] | (LAUGHING) | |
[05:53] | (EXCLAIMS) | |
[05:54] | (SCREAMS) | |
[06:14] | (LAUGHING) | |
[06:27] | (ALL CONTINUE SPEAKING YIDDISH) | |
[09:15] | (ROCK MUSIC PLAYING ON HEADPHONES) | |
[09:17] | (MALE TEACHER SPEAKING HEBREW) | (希伯来语) |
[09:54] | (TEACHER CONTINUES SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[10:31] | (WHISPERING) Fagle! | 菲戈! |
[10:34] | Fagle! | 菲戈! |
[10:36] | Huh? | 嗯? |
[10:43] | (TEACHER CONTINUES SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[11:20] | All right. Hold still now. | 好了 ,别动 |
[11:30] | (SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[11:36] | (ROCK MUSIC CONTINUES PLAYING ON HEADPHONES) | |
[11:49] | (ROCK MUSIC PLAYING LOUDLY ON SPEAKER) | |
[11:51] | (SHOUTING IN HEBREW) | |
[11:53] | (STUDENTS CLAMORING) | |
[12:03] | Mmm-hmm. Yes. | 嗯,是的 |
[12:11] | Well… Oh, sorry. | 这个… 哦,抱歉 |
[12:14] | No, thanks. | 不用,谢谢 |
[12:15] | Well, you’re in good health. | 你的健康没有问题 |
[12:19] | So how’s Judith and the kids? | 朱迪思和孩子们好吗? |
[12:21] | Good. Everyone’s good, you know. | 不错,所有人都不错,你知道的 |
[12:23] | Danny must be, what? About to be bar mitzvahed? | 丹尼就要,什么?行坚信礼? (犹太教堂给十三岁的男孩行坚信礼) |
[12:26] | Two weeks. | 两个星期后 |
[12:27] | Well, mazel tov! | 那么,恭喜了!! |
[12:30] | They grow up fast, don’t they? | 孩子们长得真快,是吧? |
[12:54] | Hmm… | 嗯… |
[13:03] | Hmm… | 嗯… |
[13:06] | (EXCLAIMING) | |
[13:13] | Yeah, you put the… | 是的,你放进… |
[13:14] | (SPEAKING HEBREW) | (希伯来语) |
[13:27] | (SIGHING) | |
[13:38] | That’s right, you put the… | 对,你放进… |
[13:39] | (SPEAKING HEBREW) | (希伯来语) |
[13:41] | (SIGHS) | |
[13:55] | (DOOR OPENING) | |
[13:57] | (CUP RATTLING) | |
[14:07] | (COUGHS) | |
[14:11] | LARRY: You following this? | 明白吗? |
[14:13] | Okay? | 没问题吧? |
[14:16] | So… | 那么… |
[14:19] | This part is exciting. | 这个部分精彩了 |
[14:22] | So, am I right? | 那么,没错吧? |
[14:25] | So, okay So… | 那么,好的,那么… |
[14:26] | So, if that’s that, then we can do this. | 那么,如果没有问题的话,我们就可以这样做 这就是薛定谔猫佯谬(量子力学术语),对吧? |
[14:33] | Is the cat dead? | 这只猫死了吗? |
[14:35] | Or is the cat not dead? | 还是活着呢? |
[14:37] | Messages, Professor Gopnik. | 口信,高普尼克教授 |
[14:39] | Thank you, Natalie. | 谢了,娜塔莉 |
[14:40] | Oh, Clive, come in. | 哦,克莱夫,进来吧 |
[14:47] | So, what can I do for you? | 你有什么事? |
[14:51] | CLIVE: (HEAVILY ACCENTED) Dr Gopnik, I believe the results | 高普尼克教授,我觉得 |
[14:53] | of the physics midterm were unjust. | 物理期中考试成绩不公平 |
[14:57] | Uh-huh? How so? | 嗯?怎么会呢? |
[14:58] | I received unsatisfactory grade. | 我的分数很不理想 |
[15:01] | In fact, F, the failing grade. | 事实上,F,不及格 |
[15:03] | Yes. You failed the midterm. That’s accurate. | 是的,你期中考试没有过,没有弄错 |
[15:07] | Yes, but that is not just. | 可是这不公平 |
[15:08] | I was unaware to be examined on the mathematics. | 我没有想到会考数学 |
[15:11] | Well, you can’t do physics without mathematics, really, can you? | 物理的学习离不开数学,这是事实,明白吗? |
[15:15] | If I receive the failing grade, I lose my scholarship, | 如果我这门不过,就拿不到奖学金了 |
[15:18] | and I feel shame. | 这也很丢脸 |
[15:20] | I understand the physics. I understand the dead cat. | 我懂物理,我懂那个死猫是怎么回事 |
[15:23] | But you can’t really understand the physics | 但是如果不懂数学的话 |
[15:27] | without understanding the math. | 你不可能真正理解物理 |
[15:29] | The math tells how it really works That’s the real thing. | 数学能帮助我们深入理解物理,这是事实 |
[15:33] | The stories I give you in class are just illustrative. | 我课堂上说的故事只是为了帮助大家理解 |
[15:36] | They’re like fables, say, to help give you a picture. | 就像寓言一样,使你有一个直观的感受 |
[15:40] | I mean… | 我意思是… |
[15:43] | Even I don’t understand the dead cat. | 我都不明白那个死猫是怎么回事 |
[15:45] | The math is how it really works. | 而数学能够帮助理解这些 |
[15:47] | Very difficult. | 太难了 |
[15:49] | Very difficult. | 太难了 |
[15:50] | Well, I’m sorry, but I… | 抱歉,但是我… |
[15:52] | What do you propose? | 你有什么想法? |
[15:54] | – Passing grade. – No, no. | 及格分,不,不 |
[15:55] | Or perhaps I can take the midterm again. | 或许我可以重考一次 |
[15:57] | I know now it cover the mathematics. | 我现在知道要考数学题了 |
[15:59] | Well, the other students wouldn’t like that, would they? | 可是,这样其他同学会有意见,不是吗? |
[16:02] | If one student gets to retake the test until he gets a grade he likes? | 他们会容许同学一直考到满意的分数为止吗? |
[16:07] | – Secret test – No… | – 秘密考试 – 不行… |
[16:08] | – Hush-hush. – No. | – 极度秘密考试 – 不行 |
[16:10] | That’s just not workable. | 这行不通 |
[16:11] | I’m afraid we’ll just have to bite the bullet on this thing, Clive… | 我恐怕我们必须面对这个难堪的成绩,克莱夫… |
[16:14] | Very troubling. | 很麻烦 |
[16:17] | Very troubling. | 很麻烦 |
[16:33] | ON PHONE: Sy Ableman. | 萨伊・艾伯曼 |
[16:34] | Hello, Sy Larry Gopnik. | 你好,萨伊,我是拉里・高普尼克 |
[16:37] | Larry. How are you, my friend? | 拉里,你好,我的朋友 |
[16:39] | Good How you been, Sy? | 很好,你呢? |
[16:41] | Fine Can we talk, Larry? | 也很好,我们能不能谈谈,拉里? |
[16:44] | What? You… Uh… | 什么?你…噢… |
[16:46] | Hello? Larry? | 怎么了? 拉里? |
[16:48] | Call back! | 待会打给你! |
[16:49] | Clive! | 克莱夫! |
[16:53] | (PHONE RINGING) | |
[17:03] | That was Sy Ableman. | 萨伊・艾伯曼的电话 |
[17:05] | He said he got disconnected. | 他说电话断了 |
[17:09] | ARTHUR: Out in a minute. | 就出来了 |
[17:10] | I gotta wash my hair. I’m going out tonight. | 我要洗头,晚上要外出呢 |
[17:13] | ARTHUR: I’ll be out in a minute. | 马上就好 |
[17:14] | Jesus Christ! | 我的天! |
[17:17] | Why is Uncle Arthur always in the bathroom? | 为什么亚瑟叔叔老是霸着洗手间? |
[17:19] | He has to drain his sebaceous cyst. You know that. | 他有皮脂腺囊肿,你知道的 |
[17:21] | Will you set the table? | 能不能帮忙摆桌子? |
[17:23] | Why can’t he do it in the basement or out in the garage? | 他为什么不到地下室或者车库里去? |
[17:28] | I had 20 bucks in it, too. Inside the case. | 我有20块钱在里面,在盒子里面 |
[17:31] | Twenty bucks? How come? | 20块?干嘛的? |
[17:33] | Bought a lid from Mike Fagle a couple of weeks ago. | 几个星期前从迈克・菲戈那买了一个盖子 |
[17:36] | Still owed him 20. | 还欠他20块 |
[17:37] | He already gave you the pot? | 他已经把东西给你了? |
[17:39] | Yeah. But a couple of weeks ago, my funding got cut off. | 是的,可是几个星期前我的资金被切断了 |
[17:43] | Fagle said he’d pound the crap out of me if I didn’t pay up. | 菲戈说不还钱就海扁我一顿 |
[17:45] | What funding got cut off? Where do you get your money? | 什么资金被切断?你哪弄的钱? |
[17:48] | What happened? | 发生什么事了? |
[17:49] | Rabbi Turchik took his radio Had money in it. | 特切导师克拿走了他的收音机,钱也在里面 |
[17:51] | That fucker! | 那个混蛋! |
[17:52] | Yeah. I think he said he was confiscating it. | 是的,我记得他说没收了 |
[17:54] | He’s a fucker. Where do you get your money? | 他是混蛋,你钱哪来的? |
[17:56] | Mike Fagle’s gonna kick his ass. | 迈克・菲戈会揍他的 |
[17:57] | Last week he pounded the crap out of Seth Seddlemeyer. | 上个礼拜塞斯・赛德梅尔被他打得很惨 |
[18:00] | He’s a fucker! | 他这个混蛋! |
[18:01] | – Fagle or Seth Seddlemeyer? – They’re both fuckers! | – 你是说菲戈还是赛德梅尔? – 他们都是混蛋 |
[18:04] | ARTHUR: Out in a minute! | 马上就出来 |
[18:05] | Are you still in there? | 你还在里面? |
[18:07] | ARTHUR: Yeah, I’ll be out in a minute! | 是的,马上出来! |
[18:33] | Arthur! | 亚瑟! |
[18:35] | – ARTHUR: Yeah? – Dinner! | – 什么事? – 吃饭了 |
[18:37] | ARTHUR: Okay, out in a minute! | 好的,马上就来 |
[18:38] | We should wait. | 我们等会 |
[18:40] | Are you kidding? | 开玩笑吧? |
[18:48] | Mr. Brandt keeps mowing part of our lawn. | 勃兰特先生一直在我们的草坪上割草 |
[18:51] | Does that matter? | 那有什么关系? |
[18:53] | What? | 什么? |
[18:54] | JUDITH: Is it important? | 这很重要吗? |
[18:57] | It’s just odd. | 只是感到奇怪 |
[18:58] | Mom, how long is Uncle Arthur staying with us? | 妈,亚瑟叔叔要在这住多久? |
[19:01] | JUDITH: Ask your father. | 问你爸爸 |
[19:51] | Honey. | 亲爱的 |
[19:54] | Honey. | 亲爱的 |
[19:55] | Did you talk to Sy? | 你和萨伊谈过吗? |
[19:57] | Sy? | 萨伊? |
[19:59] | Sy Ableman That’s right, he called But I… | 萨伊・艾伯曼,是的,他打过电话,但是我… |
[20:02] | – You didn’t talk to him? – No. | – 你没和他说话? – 没有 |
[20:06] | You know the problems that you and I have been having? | 你知道我们之间有问题? |
[20:08] | Mmm-hmm. | 嗯-嗯 |
[20:09] | Well, Sy and I have become very close. | 萨伊和我已经走得很近 |
[20:14] | In short, I think it’s time that we start talking about a divorce. | 简单说,我觉得是时候谈谈离婚的事? |
[20:24] | Sy Ableman? | 萨伊・艾伯曼? |
[20:25] | This is not about Sy. | 不关萨伊的事 |
[20:27] | You mentioned Sy! | 你提到了萨伊 |
[20:28] | Don’t twist my words, Larry. | 别打岔,拉里 |
[20:30] | A divorce? What have I done? I haven’t done anything. | 离婚?我做过什么错事?我什么都没有做过 |
[20:33] | Larry, don’t be a child. | 拉里,别像个小孩子一样 |
[20:35] | You haven’t done anything. I haven’t done anything. | 你没有做过什么,我也没有做过什么 |
[20:38] | Yes! Yes, we haven’t done anything. | 是的,是的,我们什么事都没有做过 |
[20:41] | And I’m probably about to get tenure. | 我可能很快就晋升了 |
[20:44] | Nevertheless, there have been problems, as you know… | 但是,我们有些问题,你也知道… |
[20:48] | – Well… – …and things have changed. | – 那么… – …而且生活在变化 |
[20:50] | And then, Sy Ableman. | 然后,萨伊・艾伯曼 |
[20:52] | Sy has come into my life, and I… | 萨伊走进了我的生活,所以我… |
[20:54] | Come into your… What does that mean? You barely know him. | 走进你的…这是什么意思?你对他几乎一无所知 |
[20:58] | Oh, please We’ve known the Ablemans for 15 years, Larry! | 哦,拜托,我们跟艾伯曼家认识有15年了,拉里! |
[21:00] | Yes, but you said we hadn’t done anything. | 没错,但你也说我们什么错都没有犯过 |
[21:04] | I haven’t done anything. | 我也没有犯什么错 |
[21:07] | This is not some flashy fling, Larry. | 这不是什么一时的冲动,拉里 |
[21:10] | This is not about woopsy-doopsy. | 这不是闹着玩的 |
[21:14] | Sy Ableman? | 萨伊・艾伯曼? |
[21:17] | – ARTHUR: I’ll be out in a minute! – SARAH: Oh, Jesus Christ! | – 我马上就出来! – 哦,我的天! |
[21:18] | Look, I didn’t know any other way of breaking it to you | 你看,我把你当做成年人跟你说这事 |
[21:20] | except to just tell you and treat you like an adult. | 除此之外我不知道还有什么方法能把事情讲清楚 |
[21:23] | Is that so wrong? | 难道我错了吗? |
[21:25] | Where do I sleep? | 我睡哪? |
[21:27] | – What? – Arthur’s on the couch. | – 什么? – 亚瑟睡沙发 |
[21:29] | Look, Sy feels that we should… | 听着,萨伊觉得我们应该… |
[21:30] | Esther is barely cold! | 艾斯特尔才刚死! |
[21:33] | Esther died three years ago, | 艾斯特尔三年前就死了 |
[21:35] | and it was a loveless marriage. | 而且他们俩的婚姻并不幸福 |
[21:39] | Sy wants a get. | 萨伊想要个解脱 |
[21:44] | – A what? – A ritual divorce. | – 什么? – 我们俩正式离婚 |
[21:45] | He says it’s very important. | 他说这很重要 |
[21:47] | Without a gett, I’m an aguna. | 不离婚,我始终漂浮着 |
[21:50] | A what? | 什么? |
[21:51] | What are you talking about? | 你在胡说些什么? |
[21:53] | You always act so surprised. | 你总是一脸诧异的样子 |
[21:55] | I have begged you to see the Rabbi. | 我拜托你去见见导师 |
[22:05] | (DOOR OPENING) | |
[22:31] | (PANTING) | |
[22:37] | Messages, Professor Gopnik. | 你的口信,高普尼克教授 哥伦比亚唱片俱乐部的迪克・达顿来过电话,请回电 萨伊・艾伯曼先生来过电话,他说想跟你好好谈谈 |
[22:48] | Yes, thanks for coming, Clive. Have a seat. | 谢谢你来,克莱夫,坐吧 |
[22:54] | We had, I think, a good talk the other day, | 我想,那天我们已经谈得很清楚了 |
[22:59] | …but you left something… – I didn’t leave it. | – 但你好像落下一些东西了… – 不是我的 |
[23:03] | Well, you don’t even know what I was going to say. | 你还不知道我想说什么呢 |
[23:06] | I didn’t leave anything. | 我什么也没有落下 |
[23:07] | I’m not missing anything. | 我也没有丢什么东西 |
[23:09] | I know where everything is. | 我很确定 |
[23:12] | Well then, Clive… | 那么,克莱夫… |
[23:16] | Where did this come from? | 这是怎么回事? |
[23:21] | This is here, isn’t it? | 明摆着在这呢,对吧? |
[23:24] | Yes, sir. That is there. | 是的,老师,我看到了 |
[23:25] | This is not nothing. | 这不是空气 |
[23:26] | This is something. | 这是实实在在的东西 |
[23:28] | Yes. That is something. | 是的,没错 |
[23:32] | – What is it? – You know what it is, I believe. | – 那是什么? – 我想你知道这是什么 |
[23:35] | – And you know I can’t keep it, Clive. – Yes, sir. | – 你也知道我不会收下,克莱夫 – 是的,老师 |
[23:37] | I’ll have to pass it on to Professor Finkle, | 我会把这交给芬克尔教授 |
[23:40] | along with my suspicions about where it came from. | 并告诉他我了解的所有情况 |
[23:42] | Actions have consequences. | 任何行为都会有后果的 |
[23:44] | Yes. Often. | 是的,通常是这样的 |
[23:45] | No, always! Actions always have consequences! | 不是通常,是总会!任何行为总会有后果的! |
[23:48] | In this office, actions have consequences. | 在这个办公室也不例外 |
[23:51] | – Yes, sir. – Not just physics, | – 是的,老师 – 并不仅仅是物理课, |
[23:53] | …morally. – Yes. | – 还有道德 – 是的 |
[23:54] | And we both know about your actions. | 我们都很清楚你的行为 |
[23:56] | No, sir. I know about my actions. | 不,老师,我清楚我的行为 |
[23:58] | I can interpret, Clive I know what you meant me to understand. | 我可以解释给你听,克莱夫,我知道你这么做是为了什么 |
[24:02] | Meer sir my sir. | 不一定,老师 |
[24:07] | “Meer sir my sir”? | 你说什么? |
[24:09] | Mere surmise, sir. | 不过是猜测,老师 |
[24:13] | Very uncertain. | 非常不确定 |
[24:18] | (MAN CHANTING IN HEBREW) | |
[24:25] | (RECORD STOPS) | |
[24:27] | (REPEATING IN HEBREW) | |
[24:34] | (CHANTING RESUMES) | |
[24:40] | (RECORD STOPS) | |
[24:41] | (REPEATING IN HEBREW) | |
[24:48] | You little brat fucker! | 你这个小混球! |
[24:49] | You snuck 20 bucks out of my drawer! | 竟然偷偷地在我抽屉里拿走20块钱! |
[24:52] | Studying Torah, asshole. | 正在诵读教律,混蛋 |
[24:53] | You little brat! I’m telling Dad! | 你这个混小子!我去告诉爸爸! |
[24:56] | You gonna tell him you’ve been sneaking it out of his wallet? | 你打算告诉他你的钱是从他钱包里偷的? |
[24:58] | You know what I’m gonna do, you little brat, if you don’t give it back? | 你小子要是不还钱,看我怎么收拾你 |
[25:02] | Dad? | 爸? |
[25:04] | DANNY: Dad, you’ve gotta fix the aerial. | 爸,你快修下天线 |
[25:06] | Hello, Larry. Have you thought about a lawyer? | 你好,拉里,你有没有考虑请律师? |
[25:08] | – DANNY: Dad! – Honey, please! | – 爸! – 亲爱的,拜托! |
[25:09] | We’re not getting channel four at all. | 一直收不到四台的节目 |
[25:11] | Can we discuss it later? | 我们能不能迟点再谈这个? |
[25:12] | I can’t get F Troop. | 我看不到《F部队》(美国ABC经典讽刺剧集) |
[25:13] | Larry, the children know. | 拉里,孩子们知道 |
[25:15] | Do you think this is some secret? | 你以为这是什么秘密吗? |
[25:16] | Do you think this is something we’re going to keep quiet? | 你认为我们该一直沉默下去吗? |
[25:18] | Dad, Uncle Arthur is in the bathroom again, | 爸,亚瑟叔叔又在卫生间呆着了, |
[25:19] | and I’m going to the Hole at 8:00. | 我急着要出门,八点有事呢 |
[25:21] | – ARTHUR: Out in a minute! – Ow! Stop! | – 马上出来! – 喔! – 别闹了! |
[25:22] | – She keeps doing that! – What’s going on? | – 她一直这样! – 到底怎么了? |
[25:31] | (MAN SINGING IN YIDDISH ON RADIO) | |
[25:53] | Arthur? | 亚瑟? |
[25:54] | ARTHUR: Yes? | 有事? |
[25:57] | What are you doing? | 你在干吗? |
[26:01] | Working on the Mentaculus. | 我在写书 |
[26:05] | Any luck, um, | 有没有,嗯, |
[26:09] | looking for an apartment? | 找到合适的公寓? |
[26:14] | No. | 没有 |
[26:18] | (DOORBELL RINGS) | |
[26:32] | – Sy. – Good to see you, Larry. | – 萨伊 – 很高兴见到你,拉里 |
[26:36] | I’ll get Judith. | 我去叫朱迪思 |
[26:37] | No, listen, actually, I’m here to see you, if I might. | 不用了,事实上,我是来找你的,有空吗 |
[26:42] | Such a thing | Such a thing. 这事,这事 |
[26:44] | Shall we go in the kitchen? | 我们去厨房谈? |
[26:46] | You know, Larry, the way we handle ourselves in this situation, | 你知道,拉里,我们如何处理这事 |
[26:51] | so important. | 非常重要 |
[26:53] | – Uh-huh? – Absolutely. | – 啊哈? – 绝对的 |
[26:54] | Judith told me that she broke the news to you, | 朱迪思跟我说她已经跟你坦白了 |
[26:56] | and she said that you were very adult. | 她还说你很成熟 |
[27:00] | – Did she? – Absolutely. | – 是吗? – 绝对的 |
[27:01] | The respect she has for you… | 出于对你的尊重… |
[27:04] | – Yes? – Do you drink wine? | – 是吗? – 你喝酒吗? |
[27:07] | Because this is an incredible bottle. | 这瓶酒很棒 |
[27:08] | This is not Mogen David, Larry. | 这可不是什么开胃酒 |
[27:09] | (CHUCKLING) This is a wine A Bordeaux. | 这是真正的酒,波尔多葡萄酒 |
[27:12] | – You know, Sy… – Open it. | – 你知道吗,萨伊… – 打开 |
[27:14] | Let it breathe. Ten minutes. | 让酒呼吸一下,十分钟 |
[27:16] | Letting it breathe, so important. | 让它呼吸,很重要 |
[27:19] | Thanks, Sy, but I’m not… | 谢谢,萨伊,但是我不… |
[27:21] | Listen, I insist, Larry. There’s no cause for discomfort. | 听着, 我坚持,拉里,气氛一直很融洽 |
[27:23] | I’d be uncomfortable if you didn’t take it. | 如果你不喝我会不开心 |
[27:26] | Larry, listen. These are signs. | 拉里,听着,我是来表达善意 |
[27:28] | Tokens, Larry. | 这是象征,拉里 |
[27:29] | I’m just… I’m not ungrateful. | 我只是… 我不是不领情 |
[27:31] | I just don’t know a lot about wine, | 我只是对酒了解的不多 |
[27:32] | …and given our… – It’s okay. | – 而且我们… – 没关系 |
[27:34] | …respective… – It’s okay. | – 各自的… – 没事的 |
[27:38] | Larry, we’re going to be fine. | 拉里,我们会好起来的 |
[27:43] | (BUS DEPARTING) | |
[27:50] | Want some of this, fucker? | 来点这个,小子? |
[28:10] | (DRAWER OPENS) | |
[28:11] | (EXCLAIMS) | |
[28:24] | Fuck. | 靠 |
[28:39] | (FAGLE PANTING) | |
[29:58] | (CHATTER ON RADIO) | |
[31:16] | (CHATTER ON RADIO) | |
[31:25] | (MAN SINGING IN YIDDISH) | |
[31:36] | Would you read this? Tell me what you think? | 你能不能看看这个?谈谈你的想法? |
[31:41] | Okay. | 好的 |
[31:44] | Boy! You should have worn a hat. | 孩子!你该带上帽子 |
[31:48] | (SNORING) | |
[32:10] | MR. BRANDT: Let’s see some hustle, Mitch. | 我们去好好体验一下,米切 |
[32:58] | ARLEN: Larry? | 拉里? |
[33:00] | Hi, Arlen. | 你好,阿伦 |
[33:02] | Larry, I feel that as head of the tenure committee, I should tell you this. | 拉里,作为考评委员会的负责人,我觉得有必要告诉你 |
[33:08] | Though it should be no cause for concern, and you should not at all be worried. | 尽管这不会造成什么影响,而且你也不必担心 |
[33:13] | Okay. | 好的 |
[33:15] | But I feel I should mention it, | 但我觉得有必要提一下 |
[33:17] | even though it will carry no weight in our decision | 尽管我们在决定你能否晋升的时候 |
[33:21] | on whether or not to grant you tenure. | 不会考虑这个 |
[33:23] | So again, no cause for concern. | 所以,不会造成什么影响 |
[33:26] | Okay, Arlen Give what any weight? | 好的,阿伦,到底发生了什么事? |
[33:29] | Well… | 是这样的… |
[33:31] | We’ve received a number of letters | 我们收到几封信 |
[33:34] | denigrating you and urging us not to… | 诬陷你,希望我们不给… |
[33:38] | Not to grant you tenure. | 不给你晋升的机会 |
[33:43] | From who? | 谁写的? |
[33:44] | Well, they’re anonymous, so we dismiss them completely. | 匿名的,所以我们全都驳回了 |
[33:48] | Well, what do they say? | 那么,信里怎么说的? |
[33:50] | Well, they make allegations… | 他们指控… |
[33:52] | Well, allegations… Assertions. | 不能说指控…声称 |
[33:55] | And though we give them no credence at all, Larry. | 尽管我们不会相信这些,拉里 |
[33:59] | Well, I’m not really at liberty | 其实,我并没有权 |
[34:01] | to discuss the specifics of the committee’s deliberations. | 讨论委员会审议意见的细节 |
[34:03] | But I think you’re saying these won’t play any part in your deliberations? | 可是你刚才说过,这些信无关紧要? |
[34:07] | None whatsoever. | 是的,不重要 |
[34:09] | So what are they? | 所以有什么大不了呢? |
[34:10] | Moral turpitude, you could say. | 违背道德,可以这么说 |
[34:14] | Uh-huh. Can I ask? Are they… | 嗯哈,能不能问一句?这些信是不是… |
[34:18] | – Are they idiomatic? – Hmm? | – 语言很地道吗? – 嗯? |
[34:20] | The reason I ask, I have a Korean student. South Korean. | 之所以这么问,是因为我有一个朝鲜学生,南朝鲜的 |
[34:24] | A disgruntled South Korean, and I meant to talk to you about this… | 对我不满的学生,我本打算告诉你的… |
[34:28] | Oh, no, no They’re competently, even eloquently written. | 不,不,不,语言没有问题,而且很流畅 |
[34:33] | A native English speaker. There’s no question about that. | 是英语本族语者,我很确定 |
[34:37] | – Uh-huh. – Let me reiterate. | – 啊哈 – 我重申一下 |
[34:39] | No cause for concern. | 不会造成什么影响 |
[34:41] | I only speak because I would feel odd concealing it. | 我跟你说这事,不过是觉得瞒着不大好 |
[34:46] | – Yes. – Yeah. | – 是的 – 是的 |
[34:49] | Best to Judith. | 向朱迪思问好 |
[34:58] | I gotta get my radio back. | 我一定要把收音机弄回来 |
[35:00] | Maybe the fucker lodged it up his fucking asshole. | 也许这个混蛋插在他屁股里 |
[35:02] | I gotta get it back, or Mike Fagle’s gonna pound the crap out of me. | 我必须得拿回来,要不然迈克・菲戈一定饶不了我 |
[35:05] | – (GROANS) – Way up his asshole. | 到他屁股里找找 |
[35:21] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[35:26] | Go scrub up, Mitch. | 去好好洗洗,米切 |
[35:29] | Been hunting? | 去打猎了? |
[35:37] | Is that a… | 那个是… |
[35:39] | It’s gonna be a boat shed. | 准备做舢板棚 |
[35:40] | Uh-huh. | 啊哈 |
[35:41] | That’s great. | 不错 |
[35:44] | – Mr. Brandt… – I said scrub up, Mitch! | – 勃兰特先生… – 我说快去,米切! |
[35:51] | Isn’t this a school day? | 今天要上学吧? |
[35:53] | I took him out of school today so he could hunt with his dad. | 我把他从学校接出来和我一起去打猎 |
[35:58] | (CLEARING THROAT) Uh, Mr Brandt, | 嗯,勃兰特先生, |
[36:00] | that’s just about at the property line there. | 那个刚好在分界线上 |
[36:02] | I don’t think we’re supposed to get | 我觉得我们不能 |
[36:04] | …within, what, 10 feet… – Property line’s the poplar. | – 在线内,嗯,10英尺… – 那棵白杨树才是分界线 |
[36:08] | – The… – Poplar. | – 那个… – 白杨树 |
[36:09] | – Well, even if it is, you’re just about over it. – Measure. | – 好的, 就算是吧,你也差不多过线了 – 去量 |
[36:12] | – I don’t have to measure, you can tell it’s… – Line’s the poplar. | – 我不需要去量,很明显这个… – 分界线是白杨树 |
[36:17] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[36:18] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[36:22] | – JUDITH: Larry? – Yeah? | – 拉里? – 什么事? |
[36:24] | Did you go to Sieglestein Schlutz? | 你去过西格赖斯・舒尔茨那吗? |
[36:25] | LARRY: No, I… Not yet. | – 没有,我…还没去 |
[36:27] | Larry. | 拉里 |
[36:28] | Appointment Monday. | 约好了,星期一 |
[36:29] | Where are you going? | 你去哪? |
[36:30] | I’m going to the Hole. | 我有活动 |
[36:32] | What? At 5:00? | 什么?才五点? |
[36:33] | We’re stopping at Laurie Kipperstein’s house so I can wash my hair. | 我们会在劳瑞・科普斯坦家待一会,我好洗个头 |
[36:37] | Hi, Mr Gopnik. | 你好,高普尼克先生 |
[36:38] | – You can’t wash it here? – Uncle Arthur’s in the bathroom. | – 家里不能洗吗? – 亚瑟叔叔在卫生间 |
[36:40] | ARTHUR: I’ll be out in a minute! | 我很快就出来! |
[36:42] | – JUDITH: Are you ready? – Huh? | – 准备好走了吗? – 嗯? |
[36:43] | – We’re meeting Sy at Embers. – I am? | – 我们和萨伊在埃博斯餐厅见面 – 我也去? |
[36:45] | Both of us. I told you, Larry. | 我们一起去,我跟你说过,拉里 |
[36:49] | Larry. | 拉里 |
[36:55] | How are you? | 你好吗? |
[36:57] | Sy. | 萨伊 |
[37:01] | Hello, Judith. | 你好,朱迪思 |
[37:02] | Hello, Sy. | 你好,萨伊 |
[37:05] | Larry, I want to thank you for coming. | 拉里,谢谢你能来 |
[37:09] | It’s so important that we be able to discuss these things. | 我们好好谈谈,这很重要 |
[37:13] | I’m happy to come to Embers, Sy. | 我很高兴来埃博斯,萨伊 |
[37:14] | But I’m thinking, really, maybe it’s best to leave | 但是我在想,真的,也许最好让 |
[37:17] | these discussions to the lawyers. | 律师们处理这些事 |
[37:18] | Of course Legal matters, you let the lawyers discuss. | 当然,法律的事情,就让律师们去谈 |
[37:21] | You don’t mix apples and oranges. | 苹果和橘子不能弄混了 |
[37:23] | I have begged you to see the lawyer. | 我求过你去见律师 |
[37:25] | I told you, I’m going Monday. | 我不告诉你了吗,星期一去 |
[37:26] | Monday is timely. This is not… | 星期一不迟,这不是… |
[37:29] | Please, Embers is not the forum for legalities You’re so right. | 拜托,埃博斯餐厅不是法律论坛,你说的对 |
[37:33] | (SCOFFS) | |
[37:34] | No, Judith and I wanted merely to discuss, uh, | 不是,朱迪思和我不过想跟你谈谈,嗯 |
[37:38] | practicalities. Living arrangements. | 一些眼前的事,生活上的安排 |
[37:41] | After all, this is an issue where no one is at odds. | 毕竟,这是一个逃避不了的事实 |
[37:45] | Living arrangements? | 生活上的安排? |
[37:47] | I think we all agree that the children | 我认为我们不应该 |
[37:50] | not being contaminated with the tension, | 让孩子们受到坏的影响 |
[37:54] | the most important. | 这是最重要的 |
[37:55] | We shouldn’t put the kids in the middle of this, Larry. | 我们不能把孩子们卷进来,拉里 |
[37:57] | The kids aren’t… | 孩子们没有… |
[37:58] | I’m saying “we.” I’m not pointing fingers. | 我是说“我们”,我没有针对谁 |
[38:00] | No one is playing the blame game, Larry. | 所有人都没有错,拉里 |
[38:03] | I didn’t say anyone was. | 我也没说什么 |
[38:04] | Well, let’s not play “He Said, She Said,” either. | 我们都不要玩文字游戏了 |
[38:06] | – I wasn’t! I… – All right. Look, look, look. | – 我没有!我… – 没关系,这样,这样 |
[38:08] | Let’s just take a step back and we can diffuse the situation. | 我们都退一步,这样就化解困境了 |
[38:14] | You know, Larry, sometimes I find that | 你知道,拉里,有时候,我发现 |
[38:18] | if I count to 10… | 如果我数到10… |
[38:21] | One, | 一 |
[38:24] | two, | 二 |
[38:26] | three, | 三 |
[38:29] | four… | 四 |
[38:30] | Or silently. | 或者默数 |
[38:40] | Really, to keep things on an even keel | 真的,能缓解气氛 |
[38:42] | leading up to Danny’s bar mitzvah… | 在丹尼洗礼之前 |
[38:44] | A child’s bar mitzvah, Larry. | 一个孩子的坚信礼,拉里 |
[38:46] | Sy and I think it’s best if you move out of the house. | 萨伊和我觉得你最好搬出去住 |
[38:51] | Move out? | 搬出去? |
[38:52] | – Well, it makes eminent sense. – Things can’t continue as they… | – 是的,这很有必要 – 事情不会有进展,如果… |
[38:55] | Move out? Where would I go? | 搬出去?我去哪? |
[38:56] | Well, for instance, the Jolly Roger is quite livable. | 比如,海盗旗旅馆就很不错 |
[39:00] | It’s not expensive. | 也不贵 |
[39:01] | The rooms are eminently habitable. | 房间也非常适合居住 |
[39:04] | This would allow you to visit the kids. | 你可以来看孩子 |
[39:05] | There’s convenience in its favor They’ve got a pool. | 很方便,那还有个游泳池 |
[39:07] | Wouldn’t it make more sense for you to move in with Sy? | 你搬到萨伊那住不更好吗? |
[39:12] | Larry. | 拉里 |
[39:14] | Larry, you… You are jesting. | 拉里,你…你在开玩笑 |
[39:18] | I think, really, the Jolly Roger | 我认为,真的,海盗旗 |
[39:21] | is the appropriate course of action. | 是很合适的地方 |
[39:25] | (MAN CHANTING IN HEBREW) | |
[39:29] | – (DOOR OPENING) – SARAH: Listen here, | 好好听着, |
[39:30] | you little fucker, I want my money! | 你个小混蛋,快把钱还我! |
[39:32] | DANNY: Stop it! I’m gonna get it! | 别打了!很快就还你! |
[39:33] | – (SLAPPING) – SARAH: Give it back! | 快还钱! |
[39:34] | You owe me 20 bucks, you little shit! | 你欠我20块,小混球! |
[39:36] | – Don’t worry about it! – Give it, brat fucker! | – 急什么啊! – 还钱,小混蛋! |
[39:38] | – I’m gonna get it! I’m gonna get it! – Brat! Fucker! | – 我很快就有钱了!我很快就有钱了! – 臭小子!混蛋! |
[39:41] | – What’s going on? – SARAH: Nothing. | – 发生什么事了? – 没事 |
[39:45] | – What was that? – Nothing. | – 怎么了? – 没什么 |
[39:47] | (RECORD STOPS) | |
[39:48] | How’s the Torah portion coming? | 教律的唱片哪来的? |
[39:50] | Can you maybe use the hi-fi? | 也许你可以试试高保真音响? |
[39:52] | – What? – Can I borrow this? | – 什么? – 我能借用这个吗? |
[39:53] | I’m taking some stuff to, you know, the Jolly Roger. | 我在整理行李,你知道,去海盗旗 |
[39:57] | – SARAH: Dad! – Sure, Dad. | – 爸! – 当然可以,老爸 |
[39:59] | SARAH: Dad! Chinese guy! | 爸!一个中国家伙找你! |
[40:01] | Culture clash. | 文化冲突 |
[40:05] | Culture clash. | 文化冲突 |
[40:07] | With all respect, Mr. Park, I don’t think it’s that. | 我不想冒犯你,帕克先生,我并认为是这样 |
[40:10] | – Yes. – No, | – 是的 – 不 |
[40:12] | it would be a culture clash if it were the custom in your land | 如果这种行为是你们国家的习俗,那样才叫文化冲突 |
[40:15] | to bribe people for grades. | 贿赂换取分数 |
[40:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:19] | So, you’re saying it is the custom? | 你是说,这是你们国家的习俗? |
[40:22] | No, this is defamation. Ground for lawsuit. | 不,这是诽谤,可以起诉 |
[40:26] | Let me get this straight. | 恕我直言 |
[40:27] | You’re threatening to sue me for defaming your son? | 你威胁要控告我诽谤你的儿子? |
[40:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:31] | – But it would… – Is this man bothering you? | – 但这会… – 这个家伙是不是来找麻烦的? |
[40:35] | Is he bothering me? No. | 找麻烦?不是 |
[40:39] | I, uh… | 我,啊… |
[40:47] | See, look… | 是这样,你看… |
[40:48] | If it were defamation, there would have to be | 如果这算诽谤,一定有人 |
[40:50] | someone I was defaming him to, or I… | 认为我也在诽谤他了,或者我… |
[40:52] | All right, let’s keep it simple. | 好的,简单点说 |
[40:54] | I could pretend the money never appeared That’s not defaming anyone. | 我可以装作没有看到那些钱,那样就不存在什么诽谤了 |
[40:58] | Yes. And passing grade. | 是的,还有及格分 |
[41:01] | – Passing grade? – Yes. | – 及格分? – 是的 |
[41:04] | Or you’ll sue me? | 否则你会起诉我? |
[41:05] | For taking money. | 因为你拿走那些钱 |
[41:07] | So he did leave the money? | 所以他确实留下那些钱? |
[41:08] | This is defamation! | 这是诽谤! |
[41:11] | It doesn’t make sense. Either he left the money or he didn’t. | 没有道理,要么他留下了钱,要么没有 |
[41:14] | Please. Accept the mystery. | 拜托,有些事很神秘 |
[41:20] | RONNIE: Give me that, fucker. | 给我来点,混蛋 |
[41:29] | LARRY: He’s very good with numbers. | 他对数字很在行 |
[41:30] | I think his social skills have held him back. | 我觉得是他的社交能力拖了后腿 |
[41:34] | Such a sweet man, though. | 但是个好人 |
[41:36] | Arthur has a good heart. | 亚瑟心肠好 |
[41:38] | And he never complains, unlike me. | 而且从不抱怨,不像我 |
[41:42] | Sometimes I don’t give him enough credit. | 有时觉得我该多赞扬他几次 |
[41:44] | He tried to tell me about this thing he’s working on, this… | 他尽力向我解释他在做的东西,这本… |
[41:47] | The Mentaculus. | 书 |
[41:50] | He says it’s a probability map of the universe. | 他说这是宇宙的概率图 |
[41:57] | Does he go out socially at all? | 他与人交流吗? |
[42:00] | He tries. He’s been going to the singles mixers at Hillel House. | 他试过,他去过希拉尔俱乐部的单身聚会 |
[42:05] | I should talk. I’m not doing any better. | 我应该多跟他聊聊,我做的不好 |
[42:09] | How is Judith? | |
[42:12] | Fine. She’s fine. | 很好,她很好 |
[42:17] | Sometimes these things just aren’t meant to be. | 有时候这些事情并不是注定的 |
[42:20] | And it can take a while before you feel what was always there. | 可能需要一段时间,然后才能感受到一直存在的东西 |
[42:24] | – For better or worse. – I never felt it! | – 无论是好的坏的 – 我一点都没有感受到 |
[42:27] | It was a bolt from the blue. | 简直是晴天霹雳 |
[42:30] | What does that mean? | 到底怎么了? |
[42:31] | Everything that I thought was one way turns out to be another. | 我认为事情应该这样,结果全都变成另外一个样 |
[42:36] | Then, it’s an opportunity to learn how things really are. | 那么,这是一个机会,去学着接受事实 |
[42:42] | I don’t mean to sound glib. | 我这么说并不是圆滑 |
[42:46] | It’s not always easy deciphering what God is trying to tell you, | 想要理解上帝跟你说的话,总是很难 |
[42:50] | but it’s not something you have to figure out all by yourself. | 但你没必要一个人苦恼 |
[42:55] | We’re Jews. | 我们是犹太人 |
[42:56] | We’ve got that well of tradition to draw on, to help us understand. | 我们有我们的优良传统,来帮助我们理解 |
[43:01] | When we’re puzzled, we have all the stories | 每当我们有疑惑,总会有很多故事 |
[43:04] | that have been handed down from people who had the same problems. | 从经历过同样麻烦的人那里传下来 |
[43:09] | Have you talked to Rabbi Nachtner? | 你有没有找纳赫导师谈过? |
[43:15] | Why not see him? | 为什么不见见呢? |
[43:16] | What’s the Rabbi gonna tell me? | 导师会告诉我什么呢? |
[43:18] | If I knew, I’d be the Rabbi. | 我哪知道呢,我又不是导师 |
[43:20] | (EXCLAIMS) The air out here is magnificent. | 这儿的空气太棒了 |
[43:26] | I’m telling you, if someone could bottle this air, | 告诉你们,如果有人能把这空气装起来 |
[43:30] | they’d make a million dollars. | 一定能成为百万富翁 第一个导师 |
[43:48] | Hello, Larry. Good to see you. | 你好,拉里,见到你很高兴 |
[43:50] | Oh. Rabbi Scott. | 哦,拉里・斯科特 |
[43:53] | I thought I was going to see Rabbi Nachtner. | 我以为能见到纳赫导师 |
[43:55] | He was called away on an etz monim. | 他被打电话叫走了 |
[43:57] | Ruth Brynn’s mother is in the hospital and she isn’t doing well. | 露丝・布莱恩的母亲在医院里,情况不大好 |
[44:01] | Rabbi Nachtner asked me to cover for him. Come on in. | 纳赫导师让我帮他照应着,进来吧 |
[44:16] | And she wants a gett. | 她想要解脱 |
[44:25] | A what? | 什么? |
[44:28] | – She wants a… – Oh, a gett. | – 她想要… – 哦,解脱 |
[44:30] | Uh-huh. Sure. | 嗯哼,是的 |
[44:33] | I feel like the carpet’s been yanked out from under me. | 我感觉好像脚下的地毯被人猛地抽走 |
[44:35] | (STAMMERING) I don’t know which end is up. | 我不知道会有什么后果 |
[44:38] | I’m not even sure how to react. | 甚至不知道该怎么应付 |
[44:40] | I’m too confused. | 我太茫然了 |
[44:41] | What reasons did she give for the rupture? | 她这么决绝有什么原因吗? |
[44:45] | She didn’t give reasons Just that, | 她没有说原因,只是 |
[44:48] | you know, things haven’t been going well. | 你知道,我们相处得不好 |
[44:50] | And is that true? | 事实情况呢? |
[44:52] | I guess. I don’t know. | 我猜是,我不清楚 |
[44:54] | She’s usually right about these things. | 对于这些事情她通常都不会错 |
[44:56] | I was hoping that Rabbi Nachtner could… | 我原本希望纳赫导师可以… |
[44:59] | That he would… He would… Yes? | – 他会… – 他会…什么? |
[45:01] | Well, with the benefit of his life experience. | 他的人生阅历丰富 |
[45:04] | No offense. | 无意冒犯你 |
[45:05] | (CHUCKLING) No, of course not I am the junior rabbi. | 不会,当然不会,我是新的导师 |
[45:09] | And it’s true, the point of view of somebody who’s older | 没错,认为年长的人 |
[45:13] | and perhaps had similar problems might be more valid. | 或许有过相似的经历,这种观点有道理 |
[45:17] | And you should see the senior rabbi as well, by all means. | 不管怎样,你也应该见见年长的导师 |
[45:20] | Or even Marshak, | 或者甚至玛莎可 |
[45:22] | if you can get in. | 如果你能见到的话 |
[45:24] | He’s quite busy, but maybe… | 他很忙,但也许… |
[45:31] | Can I share something with you? | 我能和你分享一些事情吗? |
[45:33] | Because I, too, have had the feeling of losing track | 因为我曾经也有与上帝脱离的感觉 |
[45:36] | of Hashem, which is the problem here. | 在这个地方很多人有这个问题 |
[45:39] | I, too, have forgotten how to see him in the world, | 我,也曾不知道怎么找到上帝 |
[45:42] | and when that happens, you think, | 如果这样你就认为 |
[45:44] | “Well, if I can’t see him, he isn’t there. He’s gone.” | 好吧,如果我找不到上帝,他一定是弃我而去了 |
[45:48] | But that’s not the case. | 事实上并非如此 |
[45:50] | You just need to remember how to see him. | 你要做的,就是记住怎样才能找到上帝 |
[45:54] | (CHUCKLING) Am I right? I mean… | 我没说错吧?我意思是… |
[45:57] | The parking lot here. | 这边有个停车场 |
[46:02] | Not much to see. | 但是视线不是很好 |
[46:04] | But if you imagine yourself a visitor, | 但如果你把自己想象成一个游客 |
[46:08] | somebody who isn’t familiar with these autos and such, | 一个不熟悉这些车以及其他东西的人 |
[46:12] | somebody still with the capacity for wonder. | 一个还有能力去探索的人 |
[46:14] | Someone with a fresh perspective. | 一个用全新视角看问题的人 |
[46:18] | That’s what it is, Larry. | 就是这样,拉里 |
[46:19] | Because with the right perspective, | 拥有正确的人生观 |
[46:22] | you can see Hashem, you know, reaching into the world. | 你就可以感受到上帝的存在 你知道,他就活在你的世界里 |
[46:25] | He is in the world, not just in shul. | 上帝在你我的世界,并不仅仅在教义里出现 |
[46:29] | It sounds to me like you’re looking at the world, looking at your wife, | 在我看来,你在用疲惫的眼睛 |
[46:33] | through tired eyes. | 看这个世界,看你的妻子 |
[46:36] | It sounds like she’s become a sort of thing… | 好像她已经变成一件东西… |
[46:40] | A problem. | 一个麻烦 |
[46:43] | A thing. | 一件东西 |
[46:44] | She is seeing Sy Ableman. | 他现在正与萨伊・艾伯曼在一起 |
[46:51] | – Oh. – They’re planning… | – 哦 – 他们打算… |
[46:53] | That’s why they want the gett. | 这就是为什么他们要解脱 |
[46:54] | Oh I’m sorry. | 哦,我很抱歉 |
[46:56] | It was his idea. | 是他的主意 |
[46:58] | Well, they do need a gett to remarry in the faith. | 确实,他们需要一个解脱,这样再婚才符合教义 |
[47:05] | But… This is life. | 但是…这就是生活 |
[47:09] | You have to see these things as expressions of God’s will. | 你必须得接受这些事情,因为这是上帝的意愿 |
[47:13] | You don’t have to like it, of course. | 当然你也没必要喜欢这样 |
[47:15] | The boss isn’t always right, but he’s always the boss. | 老板也会犯错,但他始终是老板 |
[47:17] | (LAUGHING) That’s right! | 没错! |
[47:20] | Things aren’t so bad. | 事情并没那么糟糕 |
[47:21] | Look at the parking lot, Larry. | 看看这个停车场,拉里 |
[47:25] | Just look at that parking lot. | 只要你看看这个停车场 |
[47:31] | (PANTING) | |
[47:43] | Are we eating already? | 已经开饭了吗? |
[47:45] | Sarah’s going out. | 萨拉要出门 |
[47:47] | Ow! Cut it out! | 哦!别烦了! |
[47:48] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[47:56] | Isn’t Dad eating? | 老爸不吃饭吗? |
[47:57] | JUDITH: He’s at the Jolly Roger. | 他在海盗旗旅馆 |
[47:59] | Oh, yeah. | 哦,是的 |
[48:01] | (ALL SLURPING) | |
[48:06] | How are you, Larry? | 你好吗,拉里? |
[48:07] | Jesus, I am so sorry | 天呐,我很遗憾 |
[48:10] | – to be seeing you under these circumstances. – Oh, well… | – 在这种情形下跟你见面 – 哦,没事… |
[48:12] | I always thought you and Judy were rock solid. | 我以为你和朱迪会白头到老 |
[48:15] | This is so terrible, Larry. This is devastating. | 太遗憾了,拉里,这是一个悲剧 |
[48:18] | Well, you know, the way I look at it, | 确实,你知道,我觉得这件事 |
[48:20] | it’s an opportunity for me to really sit down and figure things out | 是一个机会让我能真正地坐下来好好思考 |
[48:23] | and look at the world afresh instead of just, you know, | 并且以一种全新的视角看世界,而不是,你知道 |
[48:28] | settling for the routine, tired old way of looking at things. | 满足于常规的,老掉牙的方式看事情 |
[48:33] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[48:36] | I don’t know, maybe not. | 我不知道,也许还做不到 |
[48:39] | Well, legally, I have to warn you, | 那么,从法律角度,我得提醒你 |
[48:42] | it’s never easy for the husband. | 丈夫的角色往往吃亏 |
[48:45] | Unless, of course, there’s some question | 除非,当然如果妻子有问题 |
[48:48] | of the wife having violated the marriage contract? | 违反了婚姻协议? |
[48:52] | Oh, no, no Nothing like that. | 哦,不,不,没有那回事 |
[48:54] | Although she is planning to marry Sy Ableman, but they… | 尽管她打算和萨伊・艾伯曼结婚,但他们… |
[48:57] | Sy Ableman! | 萨伊・艾伯曼! |
[48:59] | – Yes. But they… – Esther is barely cold! | – 是的,但他们… – 爱丝特刚死吧! |
[49:03] | She passed three years ago. | 她三年前就去世了 |
[49:05] | Well… Still, this changes the complexion, Larry. | 这样…仍然,这还是说不过去,拉里 |
[49:09] | Sy Ableman. | 萨伊・艾伯曼 |
[49:11] | Not in the sense that… T here hasn’t been hanky-panky. | 不是这样…他们不是一时的冲动 |
[49:14] | To my knowledge. | 据我所知 |
[49:15] | – Oh? – No I’m fairly certain this is not an issue. | – 哦? – 是的,我很确定不是这样 |
[49:18] | And in fact, Judith wants a gett. | 事实上,朱迪思要一个解脱 |
[49:24] | A what? | 什么? |
[49:26] | A ritual divorce. | 法律上的离婚 |
[49:28] | – Oh. – So that they can remarry in the faith. | – 哦 – 这样他们再婚就不违反教义了 |
[49:30] | Uh-huh. Yeah, sure, uh… | – 啊哈,是的,当然,啊… |
[49:32] | Well, not really a legal issue. | 那么,并不是一个法律问题了 |
[49:36] | Okay, um… | 好的,嗯… |
[49:39] | Good. Good. | 好的,好的 |
[49:41] | (SIGHING) Well… | 那么… |
[49:43] | On the other thing, the neighbor’s property line, | 另一件事,邻居的分界线问题 |
[49:47] | I’ve asked Solomon Schlutz to take a look. | 我已经让所罗门・舒尔茨去办了 |
[49:49] | There’s very little to do with real estate that’ll get by Sol. | 这跟萨伊即将得到的不动产没什么关系 |
[49:53] | Okay Good How do you… | 好的,很好,你如何… |
[49:55] | I guess I’m a little worried. | 我猜,我有一点担心 |
[49:56] | How do you… I have money pressures… | – 你如何… – 我手头有点紧… |
[49:58] | Our fee structure? We bill by the hour. | 我们的收费制度?我们按小时收费 |
[50:01] | Dave Sieglestein and Solomon Schlutz bill at 110. | 德福・斯格勒和所罗门・舒尔茨每小时110 |
[50:04] | The associates, me, for instance, bill at… | 联系人,比如说我,每小时… |
[50:07] | Call for Mr Gopnik Danny at home. | 高普尼克的电话,丹尼从家里打来的 |
[50:09] | You can take it here. | 你可以就在这接 |
[50:14] | SECRETARY: | |
[50:17] | Danny? | 丹尼? |
[50:18] | – DANNY: Hey, Dad. – Are you all right? | 怎么了? |
[50:19] | Are you all… | 发生… 一切… |
[50:21] | F Troop is fuzzy. | 《F部队》看不清楚 |
[50:24] | What? | 什么? |
[50:25] | F Troop is still fuzzy. | 《F部队》还看不清楚 |
[50:30] | – Dad? – Is everything okay? | – 老爸? – 没出什么事吧? |
[50:39] | (ALARM RINGING) | |
[50:40] | (MAN SINGING IN YIDDISH) | |
[51:58] | LARRY: Clive? | 克莱夫? |
[52:03] | Clive! | 克莱夫! |
[52:05] | You little bastard! You gonna send your mother next? | 你个小混蛋!你下次打算送你妈过来吗? |
[52:10] | Little bastard! I want to see you! | 小混蛋!我要见你! |
[52:12] | (CRASHING) | |
[52:21] | Hold on. | 别挂线 |
[52:22] | Professor Gopnik, it’s Dick Dutton again. | 高普尼克教授,又是迪克・达顿 |
[52:25] | Dick Dutton. | 迪克・达顿 |
[52:28] | Hello? | 你好? |
[52:30] | Hello, Mr Gopnik? | 你好,高普尼克? |
[52:31] | This is Dick Dutton from the Columbia Record Club. | 我是达顿,来自哥伦比亚唱片俱乐部 |
[52:34] | I’m calling because it’s now four months, | 给您电话是因为已经四个月了 |
[52:37] | and we have yet to receive your first payment. | 我们还没有收到您的首付款 |
[52:42] | (STAMMERING) There’s some mistake. | 你们弄错了吧 |
[52:44] | I’m not a member of the Columbian Record Club. | 我不是哥伦比亚唱片俱乐部的会员 |
[52:46] | Sir, you are Lawrence Gopnik of 8419 Fern Hill Road? | 先生,您是住在费恩山路8419号的劳伦斯・高普尼克吗? |
[52:50] | No, I live at the Jolly Roger. | 不,我住在海盗旗 |
[52:52] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[52:53] | No, I… | 不,我… |
[52:56] | Well, yes, okay. | 是的,没错 |
[52:58] | – Yes, you are Lawrence Gopnik? – Okay. | – 是的,您是劳伦斯・高普尼克吗? – 好吧 |
[53:00] | “Okay” means… | 您的意思是… |
[53:02] | Okay, yes, Lawrence Gopnik, yes. | 好吧,是的,我是高普尼克,没错 |
[53:04] | Okay, well, you received your 12 introductory albums, | 好的,那么,您收到了12张专辑介绍 |
[53:07] | and you’ve been receiving the monthly main selection for four months now… | 而且您四个月来每个月都收到精选集 |
[53:11] | The monthly main selection? Is that a record? | 月度精选集?是唱片吗? |
[53:12] | I didn’t ask for any records. | 我没有要过任何唱片 |
[53:14] | To receive the monthly main selection, you do nothing. You… | 您收到月度精选集,却什么都没做,你… |
[53:17] | That’s right. I haven’t done anything. | 没错,我什么都没有做过 |
[53:19] | Yes, that’s why you received the monthly main selection. | 是的,那就是为什么你收到月度精选集 |
[53:22] | – (STAMMERING) But… – The last one was Santana Abraxas. You… | – 但是… – 最后一张是桑塔纳的《奥巴瑟》,您… |
[53:27] | I didn’t ask for Santana Abraxas. | 我并没有要桑塔纳的《奥巴瑟》 |
[53:30] | You request the main selection | 您以零售价定了精选集 |
[53:32] | at the retail price by doing nothing. | 却一分钱未付 |
[53:35] | It’s automatically mailed to you, | 唱片是自动寄给你的 |
[53:37] | plus shipping and handling. | 加上运输和处理费用 |
[53:39] | – You’re about to receive… – I can’t afford a new record every month! | – 您马上会收到… – 每个月一张新唱片,我可负担不起 |
[53:41] | I haven’t asked… | 我没有要求… |
[53:43] | You’re about to get Cosmo’s Factory, sir. | 您马上会收到《科斯莫的工厂》,先生 |
[53:46] | The June main selection. | 六月的精选集 |
[53:48] | Look, look, something is very wrong! | 听着,听着,一定是弄错了 |
[53:50] | I don’t want Santana Abraxas. | 我不并想要桑塔纳的《奥巴瑟》 |
[53:52] | I’ve just been in a terrible auto accident. | 我刚经历一场严重的车祸 |
[53:59] | I’m sorry, sir. | 我很抱歉,先生 |
[54:02] | Well, thank you. But I… | 谢谢,但是我… |
[54:06] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[54:09] | Yes, yes. No one was hurt. | 没事,没事,没有人受伤 |
[54:13] | Okay. Good. | 好的,很好 |
[54:17] | Well, you had 14 days to listen to Santana Abraxas. | 您有14天可以听桑塔纳的《奥巴瑟》 |
[54:21] | – Sir? – Look… | – 先生? – 听着… |
[54:23] | (STAMMERING) I didn’t ask for Santana Abraxas, | 我并没有要桑塔纳的《奥巴瑟》 |
[54:25] | I didn’t listen to Santana Abraxas, | 我也没有听桑塔纳的《奥巴瑟》 |
[54:29] | I didn’t do anything! | 我什么都没有做过! |
[54:31] | – Sir! Your son. – Mr. Gopnik… | – 先生! 您的儿子 – 高普尼克先生… |
[54:33] | He says it’s urgent. | 他说有急事找您 |
[54:35] | We can’t make you listen to the record… | 我们不能强迫您去听唱片… |
[54:36] | – Okay, okay, okay… – We provide… | – 好的,好的,好的… – 我们提供 |
[54:38] | Okay, I have to call you back. | 好的,我再打给你吧 |
[54:39] | – This is… I’m sorry. – No, no, Mr. Gopnik, please… | – 这是…抱歉 – 别,别,高普尼克先生,请… |
[54:41] | – Danny? – DANNY: Yeah. Listen, Dad… | – 丹尼? – 是的,听着,老爸 |
[54:43] | Did you join the Columbia Record Club? | 是你加入了哥伦比亚唱片俱乐部吗? |
[54:47] | – Danny? – Um… | – 丹尼? – 呃… |
[54:48] | Danny, this is completely unacceptable. I can’t afford to… | 丹尼,这样做是不可接受的,我负担不起… |
[54:51] | Okay, Dad, but you gotta come home. | 好吧,老爸,但你得回家 |
[54:55] | Is it F Troop? | 又是《F部队》? |
[54:56] | No, Mom’s real upset. | 不,妈妈很不开心 |
[55:00] | (JUDITH SOBBING) | |
[55:10] | SARAH: Dad? | 爸? |
[55:11] | Yes? | 什么事? |
[55:12] | Does this mean I can’t go to the Hole tonight? | 是不是这意味着我今晚不能出去了? |
[55:14] | Does what mean? What happened? | 什么意味着?发生什么了? |
[55:16] | Oh, Sy Ableman, he died in a car crash. | 哦,萨伊・艾伯曼,他出车祸死了 |
[55:19] | DANNY: Hey, Dad. | 老爸 |
[55:20] | What? | 什么? |
[55:21] | So you’re coming back home? | 你回来了? |
[55:24] | Can you fix the aerial? | 你能不能修好天线? |
[55:25] | What? | 什么? |
[55:26] | It’s still, you know… | 还是,你知道… 第二位导师 |
[55:31] | (JUDITH WAILING) | |
[55:42] | (JUDITH SCREAMING) | |
[56:02] | She seems to be asking an awful lot. | 她似乎有点过分 |
[56:07] | But then… I don’t know. | 但是…我不知道 |
[56:09] | Somebody has to pay for Sy’s funeral. | 得有人为萨伊办葬礼 |
[56:12] | Uh-huh. | 嗯 |
[56:13] | His own estate is in probate, | 他自己的资产还在遗嘱认证中 |
[56:15] | but why does it have to be me? | 但为什么一定得是我呢? |
[56:17] | Or is it wrong to complain? | 或许我这样抱怨是不对的? |
[56:19] | Judy says it is. | 朱迪是这么说的 |
[56:21] | But I’m so strapped for cash right now, | 但我现在很拮据,拿不出现金 |
[56:23] | carrying the mortgage, and paying for the Jolly Roger, | 一边还按揭,一边还要付旅馆住宿费 |
[56:26] | and I wrecked the car, and Danny’s bar mitzvah coming up, I… | 车又被我撞坏了,还有丹尼马上就要洗礼了,我… |
[56:30] | Something like this, there’s never a good time. | 现在这种情况,确实很糟糕 |
[56:33] | I don’t know where it all leaves me. | 我不知道为什么这一切都被我赶上了 |
[56:36] | Sy’s death. | 萨伊的死 |
[56:39] | Obviously, it’s not going to go back like it was. | 显然,事情回不到从前了 |
[56:42] | Mmm. | 嗯 |
[56:43] | – Would you even want that, Larry? – No, I… | – 你难道不想这样吗? – 不,我… |
[56:45] | Well, yeah. Sometimes. | 其实,是的,有时候 |
[56:49] | Or… | 或许… |
[56:51] | I don’t know. I guess | 我不知道,我想 |
[56:53] | the honest answer is, I don’t know. | 老实说,我不知道 |
[56:56] | What was my life before? Not what I thought it was. | 我之前的生活是什么样?也不是我想象的那样 |
[57:00] | So what does it all mean? | 这一切到底什么怎么一回事? |
[57:01] | What is Hashem trying to tell me, | 上帝到底想让我怎么做? |
[57:04] | making me pay for Sy Ableman’s funeral? | 真的让我掏钱给萨伊・艾伯曼办葬礼? |
[57:06] | – Mmm. – And did I tell you | – 嗯 – 还有,我有没有告诉你 |
[57:08] | I had a car accident the same time Sy had his? | 我跟萨伊同时,一样也出了车祸? |
[57:11] | – The same instant, for all I know. – Mmm. | – 几乎同一时间,据我所知 – 嗯 |
[57:13] | Is Hashem trying to tell me that Sy Ableman is me? | 上帝是不是想要说萨伊就是我? |
[57:17] | Or that we are all one or something? | 或者我们是一个个体,或者别的什么? |
[57:21] | How does God speak to us? | 上帝是如何跟我们交谈的? |
[57:24] | It’s a good question. | 这是个好问题 |
[57:26] | You know Lee Sussman. | 你知道李・苏世曼 |
[57:28] | Dr Sussman? I think I… Yeah. | 苏世曼医生?我想我…是的 |
[57:31] | Did he ever tell you about the goy’s teeth? | 他有没有告诉你一个关于异教徒牙齿的故事? |
[57:34] | No Uh, what goy? | 没有,嗯,什么异教徒? |
[57:36] | So, Lee is at work one day. | 是这样的,有一天李在工作 |
[57:40] | You know, he has the orthodontic practice there at Great Bear. | 你知道,他在大雄医院负责牙齿矫正手术 |
[57:44] | He’s making a plaster mold. | 当时他正在做塑料模具 |
[57:46] | It’s for corrective bridgework in the mouth of one of his patents, | 用于一个病人的牙桥矫正 |
[57:50] | Russell Krauss. | 拉塞尔・克劳斯 |
[58:03] | The mold dries, and Lee is examining it one day | 模具成型后,一天李正在做 |
[58:05] | before fabricating an appliance. | 制作器具前的检查 |
[58:08] | He notices something unusual. | 他注意到一个奇怪的现象 |
[58:13] | There appears to be something engraved | 似乎有东西被刻在 |
[58:16] | on the inside of the | 病人下门牙的里侧 |
[58:26] | Hey vav shin yud ayin nun yud. | (希伯来字母)Hey vav shin yud ayin nun yud |
[58:32] | Ho-she-ay-ni. | |
[58:34] | “Help me. Save me.” | 意思是:帮助我,拯救我 |
[58:36] | This, in a goy’s mouth, Larry. | 这是,在一个异教徒的嘴里,拉里 |
[58:45] | He calls the goy back | 他打电话把那个异教徒叫回来 |
[58:47] | on the pretense of needling additional measurements for the appliance. | 假借需要再次测量做牙具的名义 |
[58:51] | “How are you? | 你好吗? |
[58:53] | “Noticed any other problems with your teeth?” | 你的牙齿还有没有别的问题? |
[58:57] | “No.” | 没有 |
[59:06] | There it is. | 问题在这 |
[59:08] | Ho-she-ay-ni. | (希伯来语)Ho-she-ay-ni |
[59:10] | “Help me.” ‘ | “救救我” |
[59:12] | Son of a gun. | 麻烦事 |
[59:16] | Sussman goes home. | 苏世曼回家 |
[59:18] | Can Sussman eat? Sussman can’t eat. | 苏世曼吃的下饭吗?苏世曼吃不下饭 |
[59:21] | Can Sussman sleep? Sussman can’t sleep. | 苏世曼睡得着吗?苏世曼睡不着 |
[59:29] | Sussman looks at the molds of his other patents, | 苏世曼研究其他病人的模具 |
[59:32] | goy and Jew alike, | 异教徒也好,犹太人也好 |
[59:33] | seeking other messages. He finds none. | 看有没有别的信息,结果什么都没有找到 |
[59:36] | He looks In his own mouth. | 他往自己的嘴里看 |
[59:39] | Nothing. | 没有 |
[59:41] | He looks in his wife’s mouth. | 他往妻子的嘴里看 |
[59:48] | Nothing. | 也没有 |
[59:50] | But Sussman is an educated man. | 苏世曼是一个有教养的人 |
[59:53] | Not the world’s greatest sage, maybe. | 但或许不是世界上最了不起的贤人 |
[59:54] | No Rabbi Marshak. | 也不是玛莎可导师 |
[59:56] | But he knows a thing or two about the Zohar and the Kabbalah. | 但他对《光明篇》和《神通法》(犹太教著作)还是略知一二的 |
[59:59] | He knows that every Hebrew letter has its numeric equivalent. | 他明白每个希伯来字母都对应一个数字 |
[1:00:03] | 8- 4-5-4-4-7-3 | |
[1:00:06] | Seven digits. A phone number, maybe? | 七个数字,电话号码,也许? |
[1:00:10] | “Hello? Do you know a goy named Krauss, Russell Krauss?” | 你好,你知道一个非犹太教人,克劳斯,拉塞尔・克劳斯吗? |
[1:00:14] | “Who?” | 谁? |
[1:00:15] | “Where have I called? | 那么你是哪里? |
[1:00:17] | “The Red Owl in Bloomington? Thanks so much.” | – 布卢明顿的红猫头鹰杂货店 – 非常感谢 |
[1:00:24] | He goes. | 他去了 |
[1:00:28] | It’s a Red Owl Groceries, what have you. | 是一个红猫头鹰杂货店,确实是 |
[1:00:34] | Sussman goes home What does it mean? | 苏世曼回家了,他想不通 |
[1:00:38] | He has to find out if he is ever to sleep again. | 他一定要找到答案,要不然就没法再睡着了 |
[1:00:41] | He goes to see | 他去见 |
[1:00:44] | the Rabbi Nachtner. | 纳赫导师 |
[1:00:46] | He comes In, he sits right where you’re sitting, right now. | 他走进来,就坐在你现在坐的位子上 |
[1:00:49] | “What does it mean, Rabbi? | 这一切是什么意思,导师? |
[1:00:52] | – (INAUDIBLE) – “Is it a sign from Hashem? ‘Help me’. | 这是上帝发出的信号吗?“救救我” |
[1:00:54] | “I, Sussman, should be doing something to help this goy. | 我,苏世曼,应该做些什么帮助这个异教徒 |
[1:00:57] | “Doing what? The teeth don’t say. | 但做些什么呢?牙齿上又没有说 |
[1:00:59] | “Or maybe I’m supposed to help people generally lead a more righteous life? | 或者,也许我应该帮助人们实现更合乎道德的生活? |
[1:01:04] | “Is the answer in Kabbalah? In Torah? | 《神通法》里有答案吗?《光明篇》呢? |
[1:01:07] | “Or is there even a question? | 或者,根本不存在什么问题? |
[1:01:10] | “Tell me, Rabbi, what can such a sign | 告诉我,导师,这样一个信号 |
[1:01:14] | mean?” | 什么意思? |
[1:01:23] | So? What did you tell him? | 那么?你怎么跟他说的? |
[1:01:26] | Sussman? | 苏世曼? |
[1:01:28] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:01:29] | Is it relevant? | 这,有关系吗? |
[1:01:31] | Well, isn’t that why you’re telling me? | 这难道不是你想要跟我说的吗? |
[1:01:34] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[1:01:36] | Nachtner says, “Look. | 纳赫说:看 |
[1:01:37] | “The teeth, we don’t know | 牙齿,我们不明白 |
[1:01:39] | “A sign from Hashem? Don’t know. | 上帝的信号?不知道 |
[1:01:42] | “Helping others? | 帮助别人? |
[1:01:44] | “Couldn’t hurt.” | 不是坏事 |
[1:01:49] | No, no, but who put it there? | 不,不,到底是谁做的呢? |
[1:01:52] | Was it for him, Sussman? Or for whoever found it? Or for just… For, for… | 是给苏世曼看的吗?或者给发现的人? 或者,只是…给,给… |
[1:01:56] | We can’t know everything. | 我们不可能什么都知道 |
[1:01:58] | It sounds like you don’t know anything! | 你好像什么都不知道 |
[1:01:59] | Why even tell me the story? | 为什么要跟我说这个故事? |
[1:02:01] | (CHUCKLING) First I should tell you, then I shouldn’t. | 首先我得告诉你,我确实不应该 |
[1:02:07] | What happened to Sussman? | 苏世曼后来怎么了? |
[1:02:08] | What would happen? Not much. | 能有什么呢?没什么事 |
[1:02:10] | He went back to work. | 他照常工作 |
[1:02:12] | For a while, he checked every | 有一阵子,他检查每个人的牙齿,寻找新的信息 但再也没有发现 |
[1:02:16] | In time, he found he stopped checking. | 很快,他发现,他不再检查了 |
[1:02:20] | He returned to life. | 他的生活恢复正常了 |
[1:02:26] | These questions that are bothering you, Larry, | 这些问题不再使他苦恼,拉里 |
[1:02:30] | maybe they’re like a toothache. | 也许就像牙疼一样 |
[1:02:33] | Feel them for a while, then they go away. | 有时候感到一阵疼,然后就消失了 |
[1:02:36] | I don’t want it to just go away! I want an answer! | 我不想这一切消失!我想要一个答案! |
[1:02:38] | Sure We all want the answer. | 当然,我们都想要答案 |
[1:02:41] | Hashem doesn’t owe us the answer, Larry. | 上帝不欠我们答案,拉里 |
[1:02:44] | Hashem doesn’t owe us anything. | 上帝不欠我们任何东西 |
[1:02:45] | The obligation runs the other way. | 是我们欠上帝的 |
[1:02:48] | Why does he make us feel the questions | 如果他不给我们答案 |
[1:02:51] | if he’s not going to give us any answers? | 那为什么要让我们感受到这些问题? |
[1:02:55] | He hasn’t told me. | 他没有告诉我为什么 |
[1:03:02] | And what happened to the goy? | 那个异教徒后来呢? |
[1:03:05] | The goy? | 异教徒? |
[1:03:08] | Who cares? | 谁在乎呢? |
[1:03:10] | NACHTNER: Sy Ableman was a serious man. | 萨伊・艾伯曼是一个严肃的人 |
[1:03:15] | Sy Ableman was a man devoted to his community. | 萨伊・艾伯曼将一生献给教会 |
[1:03:19] | To Torah study To his beloved wife, Esther, | 献给教义,献给他的爱妻,艾斯特 |
[1:03:22] | until three years ago she passed, | 直到三年前她去世 |
[1:03:26] | and to his duty, as he saw it. | 他敢于承担,负责任 |
[1:03:30] | Where does such a man go? | 这样的人会去哪里呢? |
[1:03:33] | A tzadik. Who knows, maybe even a lamed vavnik. | 一个扎迪克(正直的人),谁知道呢, 甚至是一个lamed vavnik(犹太教里的圣贤) |
[1:03:38] | A man beloved by all. | 一个受所有人爱戴的人 |
[1:03:39] | A man who despised the frivolous. | 一个拒绝轻浮的人 |
[1:03:42] | Could such a serious man simply | 这样一个严肃的人会轻易 |
[1:03:46] | disappear? | 消失吗? |
[1:03:48] | We speak of olam ha-ba, the world to come. | 我们的说法是有这样一个 世界:olam ha-ba(犹太人心目中的天堂) |
[1:03:52] | – (SOBBING) – Not heaven. | 并非天堂 |
[1:03:55] | Not what the gentiles think of as afterlife. | 并非异教徒认为人死后去的地方 |
[1:03:58] | “Olam ha-ba.” What is olam ha-ba? | Olam ha-ba,什么是Olam ha-ba? |
[1:04:03] | Where is olam ha-ba? | Olam ha-ba在哪? |
[1:04:07] | Well, it is not a geographic place, certainly. | 当然,这不是地理名词 |
[1:04:12] | Like Canada. | 像加拿大一样 |
[1:04:15] | Nor is it the Eretz zavat chalav udvash, | 它也不是Eretz zavat chalav udvash |
[1:04:18] | the land flowing with milk and honey. | 一个流淌着牛奶和蜂蜜的地方 |
[1:04:20] | For we are not promised a personal reward. | 因为我们并未一定能获得属于个人的荣耀 |
[1:04:23] | A gold star. | 一个金星 |
[1:04:26] | A first-class VIP lounge where we get milk and cookies to eternity. | 一个头等VIP休息室,里面永远有牛奶和曲奇供应 |
[1:04:30] | (MOURNERS LAUGHING) | |
[1:04:31] | Olam ha-ba is in the bosom of Abraham. | Olam ha-ba在亚伯拉罕(犹太人的天父)的心中 |
[1:04:35] | (KNOCKING ON DOOR) | |
[1:04:40] | Arthur Gopnik? | 亚瑟・高普尼克? |
[1:04:43] | Are you Arthur Gopnik? | 你是亚瑟・高普尼克吗? |
[1:04:46] | I’m Lawrence Gopnik. | 我是劳伦斯・高普尼克 |
[1:04:48] | Do you go by the name Arthur Gopnik? | 你是不是还有个名字叫亚瑟・高普尼克? |
[1:04:50] | No. | 没有 |
[1:04:52] | Is that Arthur Gopnik? | 那个是不是亚瑟・高普尼克? |
[1:04:57] | Can you tell me what’s going on? We’re sitting shiva here. | 能不能告诉我发生了什么事?我们正在举行头七 |
[1:05:00] | You’re what? | 你们在? |
[1:05:02] | A religious observance. | 一个宗教仪式 |
[1:05:03] | We’re bereaved. | 我们有亲人去世 |
[1:05:06] | Who died? | 谁去世了? |
[1:05:07] | My wife’s, uh… | 我妻子的,呃… |
[1:05:09] | (WOMAN SOBBING) | |
[1:05:11] | It’s a long story. | 说来话长 |
[1:05:12] | Look, you tell Gopnik, Arthur Gopnik, he’s breaking the law. | 这样,你告诉高普尼克,亚瑟・高普尼克,他违反了法律 |
[1:05:16] | We’re not arresting him now, but next time we will. | 今天我们可以不逮捕他,下次一定会 |
[1:05:19] | Gambling’s against the law in this state That’s just the way it is. | 在本州赌博是违法的,事情就是这样 |
[1:05:22] | All right. Go back to your thing. | 好的,你可以回去了 |
[1:05:26] | Sorry, sir. | 抱歉,先生 |
[1:05:29] | Dad, we get channel four now, but not channel seven. | 老爸,我们现在能收到四台,但是七台又不行了 |
[1:05:33] | Arthur, how could you do that to this family? | 亚瑟,你怎么能这么做? |
[1:05:36] | – On Sy’s… – It’s hardly a crime, I mean, nobody got hurt. | – 至于萨伊的… – 这根本不是什么罪行,我是说,没有人因此受到伤害 |
[1:05:39] | That doesn’t make it right! | 这不能说明你没错 |
[1:05:41] | He won a lot of money, Dad. | 他赢了很多钱,老爸 |
[1:05:43] | The Mentaculus really works! | 他写的东西真的管用! |
[1:05:46] | You knew about it? | 你也知道? |
[1:05:48] | – Well… – They must have finked me out. | – 其实… – 他们一定是故意的 |
[1:05:51] | They knew I could just go on winning, | 他们知道我还能继续赢钱 |
[1:05:52] | so they blackballed me and now… | 所以他们排斥我,而现在… |
[1:05:54] | What did you do with the money you won? | 你怎么处理你赢的钱? |
[1:06:00] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[1:06:01] | Well, I didn’t want it, and Danny said that he could use it… | 其实,我不想要钱,而丹尼说他可以用这钱… |
[1:06:03] | That is so unfair! | 这太不公平了! |
[1:06:04] | – LARRY: What are you… – I’ll tell you what’s unfair. | – 你是… – 我会告诉你什么不公平 |
[1:06:06] | What’s unfair is them not letting me play in their card game. | 不公平的是他们不让我跟他们玩纸牌游戏 |
[1:06:08] | Why give him the money? You know what he spends it on? | 为什么把钱给他?你知道他花什么地方了吗? |
[1:06:10] | I know about the records. | 我知道唱片的事 |
[1:06:11] | Records? Do you think he buys records from Mike Fagle? | 唱片?你以为他从迈克・菲戈那买唱片吗? |
[1:06:13] | At least I’m not saving up for a nose job. | 至少我在存钱做隆鼻手术 |
[1:06:15] | – What a brat! – LARRY: What? | – 小混蛋! – 什么? |
[1:06:16] | Nobody in this house is getting a nose job! You got that? | 这个屋子里的人都不准隆鼻!听到没有? |
[1:06:19] | (FANFARE PLAYING ON TV) | |
[1:06:20] | – (EXCLAIMING) – Danny! You’re not excused! | 丹尼!别躲开! |
[1:06:22] | We’re still talking! | 还没说完呢! |
[1:06:24] | What was this card game, Arthur? | 什么纸牌游戏,亚瑟? |
[1:06:25] | Some goys put together a private game. | 有一些异教徒的海盗游戏 |
[1:06:27] | I think that they’re Italian. | 我想他们是意大利人 |
[1:06:29] | Danny! What’s going on? | 丹尼! 怎么了? |
[1:06:30] | Danny? We’re sitting shiva here. | 丹尼?我们还在做头七 |
[1:06:33] | (MEN CHATTERING ON TV) | |
[1:06:42] | Well, she has retained Barney Silver at Tuchman, Marsh. | 是的,她雇用了玛莎・塔奇曼的巴尼・席瓦 |
[1:06:49] | This is a… | 这是… |
[1:06:52] | – This is an aggressive firm, Larry. – Mmm-hmm. | – 这是一个很有野心的公司,来历 – 嗯,嗯 |
[1:06:55] | These are not pleasant people. | 那儿的人不是等闲之辈 |
[1:06:58] | Judith is free to retain whoever she… | 朱迪思有权雇用任何一个她… |
[1:07:02] | I take it you don’t talk? | 我接了,你怎么不说话? |
[1:07:07] | It’s hard. I think she emptied our bank account. | 很难,她应该把我们账户里的钱都取完了 |
[1:07:11] | Mmm. | 嗯 |
[1:07:12] | – I tried to ask her about it, very civilly. She… – Yeah. | – 我试着很委婉地去问她这事,她… – 是的 |
[1:07:16] | Yeah, you need to open a new account in your name only. | 是的,你需要用你一个人的名义开个新的账户 |
[1:07:21] | Put your paychecks in there from here on out. | 从现在起把你的薪水存到新账户里 |
[1:07:24] | – Can I? – Oh, absolutely. | – 可以吗? – 哦,绝对可以 |
[1:07:26] | It’s not dishonest? | 这样做合适吗? |
[1:07:27] | Oh, absolutely. | 哦,绝对适合 |
[1:07:29] | – You… – I hate to say this, | – 你… – 我不想说 |
[1:07:31] | but I think she’s also been sneaking cash out of my wallet. | 但我觉得她还从我的钱包里偷钱 |
[1:07:35] | Oh, boy Oh, boy. | 哦,天呐,哦,天呐 |
[1:07:37] | Yeah, well, this is definitely adversarial. | 是的,那么,这绝对是对抗 |
[1:07:43] | (CRYING) | |
[1:07:46] | Larry? Are you all right? Larry! | 拉里?你没事吧?拉里? |
[1:07:49] | Hey, come on now! Larry! There’s no need for that. | 嘿,振作点!拉里! 没必要这样 |
[1:07:53] | Larry, Larry, we… | 拉里,拉里,我们… |
[1:07:54] | We’re going to get through this. | 我们会渡过难关的 |
[1:08:02] | Have you talked to the Rabbi? | 你和导师谈过吗? |
[1:08:08] | (BREATHING DEEPLY) | |
[1:08:10] | I talked to Nachtner. | 我和纳赫谈过 |
[1:08:13] | Was he helpful at all? | 他有没有帮到你? |
[1:08:18] | What, did he tell you about the goy’s teeth? | 什么, |
[1:08:22] | You should try to talk to Marshak. | 你应该去找玛莎可 |
[1:08:24] | They told me he doesn’t do pastoral work anymore. | 有人说他已经不做导师了 |
[1:08:28] | He just… | 他只… |
[1:08:29] | (INHALING) | |
[1:08:30] | …congratulates the bar mitzvah boy every week. | …每个星期在孩子洗礼的时候来道贺 |
[1:08:33] | Well, that’s too bad. | 那么,很遗憾 |
[1:08:35] | He’s a very wise man, Marshak. | 他是一个很有智慧的人,玛莎可 |
[1:08:39] | Getting old. | 老了 |
[1:08:41] | Very old. | 很老了 |
[1:08:43] | No, me. | 不,我是说我 |
[1:08:47] | – Uh, Dick Dutton. Columbia Record Club. – Not now. | – 嗯,迪克・达顿,哥伦比亚唱片俱乐部的 – 现在没时间 |
[1:08:50] | Does he ever come to the phone? | 他难道不接电话吗? |
[1:08:55] | If I came in, could… | 如果我进去,能不能… |
[1:09:01] | Well, how about at Rabbi Marshak’s convenience? | 那么,在玛莎可有时间的时候呢? |
[1:09:05] | Uh-huh. Uh-huh. | 啊哈,啊哈 |
[1:09:07] | Well, could I give you my number at the Jolly Roger? | 那么,我能不能留下我在海盗旗的电话? |
[1:09:10] | LARRY: X squared, so that delta X equals | X的平方,那么ΔX等于 |
[1:09:13] | the square root of .077 A squared minus zero, | 077a的平方减0的平方根, |
[1:09:16] | from which we derive the square root of .077 A squared. | 这样我们得到077a的平方的平方根 |
[1:09:19] | And also, the uncertainty | 还有,P的不确定度 |
[1:09:21] | in P is equal to the square root of bracket P squared | 等于括号P的平方 |
[1:09:24] | minus bracket P squared, | 减去括号P的平方的平方根 |
[1:09:27] | which also equals the square root of H over A squared. | 也等于H除以A的平方的平方根 |
[1:09:29] | Which lets us delta X, delta P | 这样,ΔX,ΔP |
[1:09:32] | equals the square root of.077 A squared, | 就等于077a的平方 |
[1:09:36] | H over A squared, and 1.74 H bar. | 和H除以A的平方的平方根,也就是1.74H拔 |
[1:09:42] | Okay? | 明白吗? |
[1:09:43] | The Uncertainty Principle. | 不确定性原理 |
[1:09:45] | It proves we can’t ever really know | 这证明我们不可能真正了解 |
[1:09:48] | what’s going on. | 发生的事情 |
[1:09:52] | (SCHOOL BELL RINGING) | |
[1:09:55] | But even though you can’t figure anything out, | 但,即使你们不能理解 |
[1:09:58] | you will be responsible for it on the mid-term. | 期中考试还是会考 |
[1:10:05] | – Did you follow that? – Of course. | – 你明白了吗? – 当然 |
[1:10:08] | Except that I know what’s going on. | 但我能理解是怎么回事 |
[1:10:11] | How do you explain? | 你怎么解释? |
[1:10:13] | Well, it might be that in, you know, in olam ha-ba… | 好的,也许是因为在,你知道在olam ha-ba |
[1:10:17] | Excuse me, not the point. In this world, Larry. | 打扰一下,不对,现实世界,拉里 |
[1:10:21] | Now I’ll concede that it’s subtle, it’s clever. | 我承认这很微妙,这也很聪明 |
[1:10:25] | But at the end of the day, is it convincing? | 但到了人生尽头,这还有说服力吗? |
[1:10:29] | Well, yes, it’s convincing. | 嗯,是的,有说服力 |
[1:10:31] | It’s a proof. It’s mathematics. | 这是论证,是数学 |
[1:10:33] | No, excuse me. Mathematics is the art of the possible. | 不,请原谅,数学是可能性的艺术 |
[1:10:38] | I don’t think so. | 我不同意 |
[1:10:40] | The art of the possible, that’s… | 可能性的艺术,那是… |
[1:10:43] | I can’t remember. Something else. | 我一时想不起别的 |
[1:10:45] | I’m a serious man, Larry. | 我是一个严肃的人,拉里 |
[1:10:46] | – I know that So, if I’ve got it wrong, what do I… – So simple. | – 我知道,所以如果我错了,那么我… – 很简单 |
[1:10:51] | See Marshak. | 去找玛莎可 |
[1:10:53] | I know! I want to see Marshak! I want to see Marshak! | 我知道!我想见玛莎可!我想见玛莎可! |
[1:10:57] | I fucked your wife, Larry! | 我操过你老婆,拉里! |
[1:10:59] | I seriously fucked her! That’s what’s going on! | 我很认真的操过她!就是这么回事 |
[1:11:02] | (SHOUTING) See Marshak! | 见玛莎可! |
[1:11:04] | (GASPS) | |
[1:11:12] | (WHIRRING) | |
[1:11:38] | Mr Gopnik. | 高普尼克先生 |
[1:11:39] | Hello, Mrs Samsky. | 你好,萨姆斯基夫人 |
[1:11:42] | I was going to knock, and then I thought you weren’t here. | 我本打算敲门,然后想你可能不在家 |
[1:11:46] | I thought I heard something. | 我想我听到声音了 |
[1:11:48] | Can I help you? Do you want to come in? | 有什么事吗?要不要进来坐坐? |
[1:11:50] | – No, I… – It’s cooler. | – 不,我… – 屋里凉快些 |
[1:11:52] | Oh. Okay. | 哦,好的 |
[1:11:56] | I’ve noticed that Mr Samsky isn’t around, and I, uh… | 我注意到萨姆斯基不在,我,嗯… |
[1:12:04] | – He travels. – Uh-huh. Yeah. | – 他出差了 – 啊哈,是的 |
[1:12:06] | So I thought I should let you know, since you’re somewhat new here, | 所以我觉得我应该让你知道,因为你算是新来的 |
[1:12:09] | if you ever have, whatever, chores that you’d, um… | 如果你,不管什么,家庭杂务,需要帮忙,嗯… |
[1:12:14] | Or just help with something I’ve decided to help others, in a neighborly way. | 或者只是要帮个忙什么的,我决定帮助他人, 以一种睦邻友好的方式 |
[1:12:22] | – How thoughtful. – Oh, it’s nothing. | – 真周到 – 哦,不客气 |
[1:12:24] | It’s just good to know your neighbors, and to help. | 了解你的邻居,帮助 |
[1:12:27] | Help others. | 帮助他人是没错的 |
[1:12:29] | Although I don’t care much for my neighbors on the other side, I must say. | 尽管我并不在乎另一边的邻居,我必须说 |
[1:12:34] | – Goys, aren’t they? – Mmm. Very much so. | – 异教徒,是吗? – 嗯,就是这样 |
[1:12:37] | Although maybe it’s not fair to judge. I have to admit… | 尽管这么想也许不公平,我不得不承认… |
[1:12:41] | Won’t you sit down? | 不坐吗? |
[1:12:42] | Oh, um… Okay. Thank you. | 哦,嗯…好的,谢谢 |
[1:12:44] | – Iced tea? I have some. – Okay. | – 冰茶?还有一些 – 好的 |
[1:12:52] | I don’t see you much around either. | 我也不常见到你 |
[1:12:55] | Yes, actually I haven’t been home a lot recently. I, uh… | 是的,事实上我最近经常不在家,我,嗯… |
[1:13:00] | My wife and I are… | 我妻子和我现在… |
[1:13:04] | Well, she’s got me staying at the Jolly Roger, the little motel there on… | 嗯,她让我住在海盗旗,一个小汽车旅馆,就在… |
[1:13:09] | You’re in the doghouse, huh? | 住在狗窝里,嗯? |
[1:13:12] | Yes. That’s an understatement, I guess. Thank you. | 是的,保守的说法,我想,谢谢 |
[1:13:17] | I guess I… | 我想我… |
[1:13:19] | Do you take advantage of the new freedoms? | 你会充分利用重新获得的自由吗? |
[1:13:28] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[1:13:39] | It’s something I do. | 我会 |
[1:13:42] | For recreation. | 为了找乐 |
[1:13:45] | That’s | 那是 |
[1:13:48] | …marijuana? – Mmm-hmm. | – 大麻? – 嗯-嗯 |
[1:13:53] | You’ll find you’ll need the iced tea. | 你会需要冰茶的 |
[1:13:59] | Is it… | 这是… |
[1:14:04] | Well, okay. | 嗯,好的 |
[1:14:08] | (RECORD SKIPPING) | |
[1:14:27] | Maybe Rabbi Scott was right. | 也许斯科特导师是对的 |
[1:14:31] | Who’s Rabbi Scott? | 斯科特导师是谁? |
[1:14:36] | The junior rabbi. | 年轻的导师 |
[1:14:39] | The junior rabbi. | 年轻的导师 |
[1:14:55] | What did he say? | 他说什么了? |
[1:14:57] | LARRY: He spoke of | 他谈到了 |
[1:15:00] | perception. | 感知 |
[1:15:04] | All my problems are just… | 我所有的问题不过是… |
[1:15:08] | Just a… | 只是… |
[1:15:11] | A mere… | 不过是… |
[1:15:16] | Is that a siren? | 那是警报吗? |
[1:15:19] | No. | 不是 |
[1:15:22] | Sometimes people get paranoid… | 有时候人们会偏执… |
[1:15:24] | – (SIREN BLARING) – Holy cow, that is a siren. | 天呐,是警报 |
[1:15:31] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[1:15:34] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[1:15:37] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[1:15:39] | POLICEMAN: Does this man live here? | 这人是住着的吗? |
[1:15:40] | – Sort of. He sleeps on the couch. – This is crazy! | – 算是,他睡沙发 – 简直疯了! |
[1:15:43] | I didn’t know what to tell them They asked me for my address. | 我不知道该跟他们说什么,他们问我住址 |
[1:15:45] | It’s just mathematics. You can’t arrest a man for mathematics. | 这一切只是数学,你们不能因为数学而逮捕人, |
[1:15:47] | I didn’t know whether to tell them here, or at the Jolly Roger. | 我不知道该告诉他们住这里还是海盗旗 |
[1:15:49] | Do you know this man? | 认识这个人吗? |
[1:15:51] | I just figured that this would sound better. I don’t know. | 我只是觉得这里听起来好点,我不知道 |
[1:15:52] | Dad, why is Uncle Arthur in handcuffs? | 爸,为什么亚瑟叔叔要戴手铐? |
[1:15:55] | It’s all a mistake. I mean, not a mistake, a miscarriage… | 这都是误会,我意思是,不是误会,是计划的失败… |
[1:15:58] | – Hello, Mrs Samsky. – Hello, Arthur. | – 你好,萨姆斯基夫人 – 你好,亚瑟 |
[1:16:00] | – Does this man live here? – He sleeps on the couch. | – 这个人是不是住这里? – 他睡在沙发上 |
[1:16:02] | Look. What did he do? | 等会,他做了什么? |
[1:16:03] | – Nothing! I didn’t do anything! – DANNY: Dad sleeps on a cot. | – 没有!我什么都没有做过! – 我爸睡帆布床 |
[1:16:05] | Sir, we picked this man up at the North Dakota. | 先生,我们在北达科他州带走他的 |
[1:16:08] | – But I didn’t do anything! I didn’t… – The North Dakota? | – 可是我什么都没有做过!我没有… – 北达科他州? |
[1:16:11] | Solicitation Sodomy Very serious. | 教唆,鸡奸,很严重 |
[1:16:13] | But I didn’t do anything. | 可是我什么都没有做过 |
[1:16:14] | “Sodomy”? | 鸡奸? |
[1:16:16] | What’s sodomy, Dad? | 什么是鸡奸,老爸? |
[1:16:21] | What does Arthur say? | 亚瑟怎么说? |
[1:16:25] | He says he didn’t do anything. | 他说他什么都没有做过 |
[1:16:28] | Uh-huh. | 啊哈 |
[1:16:31] | He says he just went in for a drink. | 他说他只是去喝酒 |
[1:16:34] | Uh-huh. | 啊哈 |
[1:16:39] | – Does Arthur drink? – No. | – 亚瑟喝酒吗? – 不 |
[1:16:41] | Uh-huh. | 啊哈 |
[1:16:44] | The North Dakota. | 北达科他州 |
[1:16:47] | Well… | 那么… |
[1:16:51] | You’ll need a criminal attorney. | 你需要一个刑事律师 |
[1:16:52] | – Okay Who’s… – Ron Meshbesher. | – 好的,谁是… – 罗恩・梅西贝赛 |
[1:16:56] | – Is he good? – Ron is very good. | – 他很好吗? – 罗恩很不错 |
[1:17:00] | I don’t understand. | 我不能理解 |
[1:17:03] | – He goes to mixers at the Hillel House. – Mmm. | – 他是去希拉尔俱乐部的聚会 – 嗯 |
[1:17:09] | – I would call Ron Meshbesher. – Is he expensive? | – 我会打给罗恩・梅西贝赛 – 他贵吗? |
[1:17:12] | Ron is not cheap. | 罗恩不便宜 |
[1:17:14] | (KNOCKING ON DOOR) | |
[1:17:16] | Yeah. | 请进 |
[1:17:17] | Oh, Sol, come in, we could use some good news. | 哦,索尔,进来,我们有好消息了 |
[1:17:21] | DON: Sol’s been going over the property line issue | 索尔负责分界线的问题 |
[1:17:24] | and he wouldn’t go into details, but he seems to think | 他不会谈细节,但他看起来想 |
[1:17:26] | there’s a nifty way out of this. | 会有一个漂亮的方式 |
[1:17:29] | Says it was pure luck that he caught something. | 说他弄清楚事情纯属运气 |
[1:17:31] | I guess that’s why you’re full partner, eh, Sol? | 我想这就是为什么你是 一个全职的合伙人,嗯, 索尔? |
[1:17:34] | (DON CHUCKLES) | |
[1:17:54] | – Danny’s bar mitzvah is… – This week. | – 丹尼的洗礼是… – 这个星期 |
[1:17:57] | DON: This Shabbas? Great, great. | 这个安息日?很好,很好 |
[1:18:16] | (GROANING) | |
[1:18:19] | Professor Gopnik, Dick Dutton. | 高普尼克教授,迪克・达顿 |
[1:18:21] | Heart attack. Call back. | 心脏病,待会回 |
[1:18:27] | (UNLOCKS DRAWER) | |
[1:18:33] | Larry? | 拉里? |
[1:18:38] | As you know, the tenure committee meets on… What? | 你知道,晋升委员会开会的日子是…什么? |
[1:18:43] | – Are you all right? – I’m fine. | – 你没事吗吧? – 没事 |
[1:18:46] | I’m sorry. I know you’ve hit a rough patch. | 我很抱歉,我知道你最近遇到一些困难 |
[1:18:48] | Someone just… | 有人不过… |
[1:18:50] | But I’m fine. | 我没事的 |
[1:18:54] | Well, as you know, the tenure committee meets on Wednesday | 嗯,你知道,晋升委员会这个星期三开会 |
[1:18:58] | …to make its final determinations, so if… – Arlen, | – 做最后的决定,所以如果… – 阿伦 |
[1:19:02] | I am not an evil man. | 我不是坏人 |
[1:19:04] | – No, no, Larry, no, of course not. – I am not! | – 不,不,拉里,不,当然不是 – 我不是! |
[1:19:08] | No, we don’t make moral judgments. | 我们不会做道德上的评价 |
[1:19:10] | I went to the Aster Art once. | 我去过翠菊艺术一次 |
[1:19:12] | I saw Swedish Reverie. | 看了瑞典幻想 |
[1:19:14] | No, it’s okay. We don’t need to know. | 别说了,没关系,我们不想知道这个 |
[1:19:17] | It wasn’t even erotic. | 那甚至算不上色情 |
[1:19:18] | Although it was, in a way. | 尽管从某种意义上说,它是 |
[1:19:21] | It’s all right, really, Larry. Believe me. | 没关系,真的,拉里,相信我 |
[1:19:26] | Yeah, okay. | 是的,没关系 |
[1:19:28] | Okay. Okay. | 好的,好的 |
[1:19:32] | So, we decide on Wednesday. | 那么,我们星期三做决定 |
[1:19:35] | So, if there’s anything that you want to | 所以,如果你还有什么东西 |
[1:19:37] | submit in support of your tenure application, | 提交作为你的申请的支撑材料 |
[1:19:40] | we would need it by Wednesday. | 星期三之前给我们 |
[1:19:43] | Submit? What do you… | 提交?什么… |
[1:19:45] | Well, anything. Any published work. | 嗯,任何东西,任何发表过的东西 |
[1:19:47] | Anything you’ve done outside the institution. | 你在学校外做过的任何事情 |
[1:19:51] | Anything at all that we should be aware of. | 任何我们需要了解的东西 |
[1:19:55] | – I haven’t done anything. – Uh-huh. | – 我什么都没有做过 – 啊哈 |
[1:19:57] | – I haven’t published. – Uh-huh. | – 我没有发表过什么 – 啊哈 |
[1:19:59] | – You’re still getting those… – Uh-huh. | – 你们还是收到… – 啊哈 |
[1:20:03] | – Those anonymous… – No, no, I know. Yeah. Uh-huh. Yeah. | – 那些匿名… – 不,不,我知道,是的,啊哈,是的 |
[1:20:07] | – Okay. Okay. Wednesday? – Uh-huh. | – 好的, 好的,星期三? – 啊哈 |
[1:20:09] | Um Okay Uh… Don’t worry. | 嗯,好的,呃…别担心 |
[1:20:13] | Doing nothing is not bad. Ipso facto. | 什么都没有做过就好,用事实说话 |
[1:20:18] | Just relax. | 放松点 |
[1:20:21] | Try to relax. | 试着放松 |
[1:20:24] | Oh, my God, Mrs. Samsky! | 哦,我的天,萨姆斯基夫人! |
[1:20:28] | So good. | 太棒了 |
[1:20:30] | (LARRY PANTING) | |
[1:20:40] | (EXCLAIMS) | |
[1:20:43] | Nailing it down. So important. | 钉起来,很重要 玛莎可 |
[1:20:45] | (LARRY SCREAMS) | |
[1:21:07] | LARRY: Please. I need help. I’ve already talked to the other rabbis. Please. | 拜托,我需要帮助,我跟另外两位导师都谈过了,拜托了 |
[1:21:12] | It’s not about Danny’s bar mitzvah. | 不是关于丹尼的洗礼 |
[1:21:15] | My boy, Danny. This coming Shabbas. | 我的孩子,丹尼,这个安息日 |
[1:21:17] | Very joyous event. That’s all fine. | 大喜事,没有问题 |
[1:21:19] | It’s more about myself. I’ve had quite a bit of tsuris lately. | 是关于我自己,我最近很多麻烦事 |
[1:21:24] | Marital problems, professional, you name it. | 婚姻问题,专业的,您知道的 |
[1:21:27] | This is not a frivolous request. | 这不是一个无聊的请求 |
[1:21:29] | This is a… | 这是… |
[1:21:30] | I’m a… | 我是… |
[1:21:32] | I’ve tried to be a serious man, you know? | 我尽力做一个严肃的人,你知道吗? |
[1:21:36] | Tried to do right, be a member of the community, raise the… | 尽力不做错事,成为教区一员,抚养… |
[1:21:39] | Danny, Sarah, they both go to school, Hebrew school. | 丹尼,萨拉,他们都上学了,希伯来学校 |
[1:21:44] | A good breakfast… | 丰盛的早餐… |
[1:21:45] | Well, Danny goes to Hebrew school, Sarah doesn’t have time. | 这样的,丹尼上希伯来学校,萨拉没有时间 |
[1:21:49] | She mostly washes her hair. | 她大部分时间在洗头 |
[1:21:53] | Apparently there are several steps involved, | 显然这涉及到一些步骤 |
[1:21:55] | but you don’t have to tell Marshak that, just tell him I need help. | 但你不一定要告诉玛莎可这些 告诉他我需要帮助 |
[1:21:58] | Please. I need help. | 拜托了,我需要帮助 |
[1:22:04] | (SIGHS) | |
[1:22:54] | The Rabbi is busy. | 导师在忙 |
[1:22:59] | He didn’t look busy. | 他看起来不忙 |
[1:23:03] | He’s thinking. | 他在思考 |
[1:23:05] | (ARTHUR SOBBING) | |
[1:23:22] | Arthur? | 亚瑟? |
[1:23:31] | Arthur? | 亚瑟? |
[1:23:33] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[1:23:35] | It’ll be okay. Arthur, we’ll… | 会好起来的,亚瑟,我们会… |
[1:23:39] | Don’t worry, we’ll get Ron Meshbesher It’ll be okay… | 别担心,我们请梅西・贝赛,不会有事的… |
[1:23:42] | (WAILING LOUDLY) | |
[1:23:47] | Arthur! | 亚瑟! |
[1:23:50] | Arthur! | 亚瑟! |
[1:24:02] | (WAILING) | |
[1:24:03] | Arthur! You’ve got to pull yourself together! | 亚瑟!你要振作起来! |
[1:24:06] | It’s all shit, Larry! It’s all shit! | 一团糟!拉里!一团糟! |
[1:24:10] | Arthur, don’t use that word. | 亚瑟,别这么说 |
[1:24:11] | It’s just fucking shit! | 真是他妈的一团糟 |
[1:24:14] | Arthur. | 亚瑟 |
[1:24:15] | Look at all that Hashem has given you! | 看看上帝给了你什么! |
[1:24:17] | What has he given me? He hasn’t given me shit! | 而他给了我什么?他什么都没有给过我! |
[1:24:20] | Arthur. What do I have? I live at the Jolly Roger. | 亚瑟,我又有什么?我住在海盗旗 |
[1:24:24] | You have a family! You have a job! | 你有家!你有工作! |
[1:24:28] | Hashem hasn’t given me shit He hasn’t given me bupkes! | 上帝什么都没有给我,什么都没有 |
[1:24:31] | It’s not fair to blame Hashem, Arthur. Please. | 怪罪上帝是不公平的,亚瑟,拜托了 |
[1:24:34] | Sometimes… Please calm down. | 有时候…冷静点 |
[1:24:36] | Sometimes you have to help yourself. | 有时候你必须帮助自己 |
[1:24:41] | Hashem hasn’t given me shit. | 上帝什么都没有给我 |
[1:24:45] | Now I can’t even play cards. | 现在我连牌都玩不了 |
[1:24:54] | It’s okay, it’s okay. | 没事的,没事的 |
[1:24:57] | – (SOBBING LOUDLY) – It’s okay, it’s okay. | 没事的,没事的 |
[1:25:25] | Is this it? | 这就是? |
[1:25:27] | ARTHUR: Yeah, I think. Yeah, there. | 是的,我想,是的,那 |
[1:25:41] | Look, this should help you get back on your feet. | 看,这个应该能帮你重新振作起来 |
[1:25:50] | Oh, my God Where did you get this? | 哦,我的天,你哪来的这些钱? |
[1:25:51] | – It doesn’t matter. – This is a lot of money. | – 这不重要 – 这是一大笔钱 |
[1:25:53] | – It should get you started. – I know, but this is a lot of money. | – 应该可以帮你重新开始 – 我知道,但这是一大笔钱 |
[1:25:56] | – You sure you don’t need it? – Arthur, I’m fine. | – 你确定你不需要吗? – 亚瑟,我没问题的 |
[1:25:58] | Come on, get in When you’re settled, | 快点,上船,一旦安顿下来 |
[1:25:59] | let me know how to get in touch. | 要让我知道怎么联系你 |
[1:26:01] | You’re sure? | 你确定? |
[1:26:03] | It’s fine. | 没事的 |
[1:26:22] | Larry. I’m sorry. | 拉里,我很抱歉 |
[1:26:26] | What I said last night. | 昨天晚上说的那些话 |
[1:26:27] | I know. | 我知道 |
[1:26:29] | It’s okay. | 没事 |
[1:26:35] | Goodbye! | 再见! |
[1:26:40] | (GUN FIRING) | |
[1:26:46] | There’s another Jew, son! | 还有一个犹太人,儿子! |
[1:26:48] | (SCREAMS) | |
[1:27:05] | Were we out at the pool last night? | 昨晚我们去过湖边吗? |
[1:27:12] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[1:27:15] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[1:27:25] | It’s Shabbas. | 安息日到了 |
[1:27:28] | (MARIJUANA CIGARETTE SIZZLING) | |
[1:27:30] | Give me that fucker. | 把那个给我,混蛋 |
[1:27:33] | (INHALING SHARPLY) | |
[1:27:35] | (PRAYING IN HEBREW) | |
[1:28:16] | (PRAYING IN HEBREW) | |
[1:28:30] | (VOICE DISTORTING) | |
[1:29:56] | (PRAYING SOFTLY IN HEBREW) | |
[1:30:13] | (PRAYING IN HEBREW) | |
[1:30:32] | I’m sorry that… That things have been so hard for us. | 我很抱歉…我们面对的这些困难 |
[1:30:37] | It’s okay. | 没关系 |
[1:30:40] | Sy had so much respect for you, Larry. | 萨伊非常尊重你,拉里 |
[1:30:44] | He wrote letters to the tenure committee. | 他还曾写信给晋升委员会 |
[1:30:48] | (RABBI PRAYING IN HEBREW) | |
[1:30:53] | (CONGREGATION PRAYING IN HEBREW) | |
[1:30:59] | Jesus Christ. | 我的老天 |
[1:31:03] | …taking your place as a member of our tribe. | …就位吧,作为我们民族的一员 |
[1:31:06] | Now, you will go and see Rabbi Marshak. | 现在,你去见玛莎可导师 |
[1:31:08] | Afterwards, you will celebrate in a reception downstairs in Schanfield Hall. | 之后,你去显菲尔德大厅参加庆祝酒会 |
[1:31:12] | And then, you will be a member of B’Nai Avraham and the Nation of Israel. | 然后,你就成为B’Nai Avraham会众,以及以色列民族的一员了 |
[1:31:16] | Danny Gopnik, the Sisterhood makes a gift to you of this Kiddush cup, | 丹尼・高普尼克,这是妇女会送给你的礼物,祈福杯 |
[1:31:20] | so that you will remember this blessed day on the next Shabbas and the next, | 以此让你在下个安息日,下下个,以及以后每个安息日 记住这个神圣的一天, |
[1:31:25] | and on every Shabbas of a long and fruitful life. | 愿你的生命长寿多彩 |
[1:31:27] | And until that wonderful day when you stand under the chuppah, we say amen. | 一直到美好的那一天,当你站在 彩棚下 (犹太教举行婚礼上用的) 我们一起说阿门 |
[1:31:34] | (CONGREGATION SINGING IN HEBREW) | |
[1:33:12] | When the truth | 当真理 |
[1:33:16] | is found | 被发现 |
[1:33:19] | to be lies… | 是谎言 |
[1:33:23] | (SNORTS) | |
[1:33:30] | …and all the hope | …所有的希望 |
[1:33:34] | within you dies… | 消逝不在… |
[1:33:46] | Then what? | 怎么办? |
[1:33:50] | Grace Slick. | 格瑞丝・斯莉克 |
[1:33:54] | Marty Balin. | 马特・巴林 |
[1:33:58] | Paul Kantner. | 保罗・坎特纳 |
[1:34:02] | Jorma… | 乔玛… |
[1:34:05] | Kaukonen. | 可科南 |
[1:34:06] | …something. | …什么什么 |
[1:34:09] | These are the members | 他们是 |
[1:34:13] | of the Airplane. | 我们这架大飞机上的成员 |
[1:34:16] | – Mmm-hmm. – Uh-huh. | – 嗯 – 嗯 |
[1:34:50] | Be a good boy. | 做个好孩子 |
[1:34:57] | ARLEN: Danny was magnificent. | 丹尼真了不起 |
[1:35:00] | Oh. | 哦 |
[1:35:02] | Thank you, Arlen. | 谢谢,阿伦 |
[1:35:04] | Mazel tov. It was wonderful. | 恭喜,非常棒 |
[1:35:07] | Yes, it was. Thank you. | 是的,没错,谢谢 |
[1:35:10] | Such a time of nachas. | 值得骄傲的时刻 |
[1:35:12] | He’s your youngest, you have to savor it. | 他是你最小的,你一定会好好珍藏这一刻 |
[1:35:15] | I do. | 确实 |
[1:35:18] | I will. | 我会 |
[1:35:20] | – Well, see you at the staff caf. – Yes. | – 那么,一会喝咖啡时间再见 – 好的 |
[1:35:23] | I, uh… | 我,呃… |
[1:35:25] | Just, um… | 只是,嗯… |
[1:35:27] | I shouldn’t tell you this, I’m not telling you officially. | 我不该告诉你,我跟你说的话不代表官方意见 |
[1:35:31] | The tenure candidates aren’t notified till Thursday. | 晋升候选人到星期四才会接到通知 |
[1:35:38] | Yes? | 什么? |
[1:35:40] | You’ll be very pleased. | 你会很开心的 |
[1:35:44] | – Thank you, Arlen. – I didn’t say anything Mazel tov. | – 谢谢,阿伦 – 我什么都没有说过,恭喜 |
[1:35:50] | (TEACHER SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[1:35:58] | (ROCK MUSIC PLAYING ON HEADPHONES) | |
[1:36:01] | (GIRL SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[1:36:06] | (BOY SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[1:36:22] | (THUNDER RUMBLING) | |
[1:36:40] | (TEACHER SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[1:36:43] | (WHISPERING) Fagle. | 菲戈 |
[1:37:23] | There’s a tornado warning from the weather service. | 天气预报发布了龙卷风警告 |
[1:37:26] | Mr. Turchik has decided to move us into the basement of the synagogue. | 特切克先生决定将我们转移到教堂的地下室 |
[1:37:31] | (SPEAKING HEBREW) | |
[1:37:33] | We will form two lines. | 我们排成两行 |
[1:37:39] | (THUNDER RUMBLING) | |
[1:38:17] | (RINGING) | |
[1:38:21] | (STUDENTS CHATTERING) | |
[1:38:30] | That fucking flag’s gonna rip right off the flagpole! | 那个他妈的旗帜就要从旗杆掉下来了 |
[1:38:37] | (RINGING CONTINUES) | |
[1:38:48] | Hello? | 你好? |
[1:38:50] | – MAN: Larry? – Yes? | – 拉里? – 什么事? |
[1:38:52] | Hi, Len Shapiro. | 你好,我是莱恩,夏皮罗 |
[1:38:54] | (CHUCKLES) Oh Hello, Dr. Shapiro. | 哦,你好,夏皮罗医生 |
[1:38:57] | Listen, mazel tov on Danny. | 听着,恭喜丹尼 |
[1:38:59] | Yes, thank you. | 是的,谢谢 |
[1:39:01] | Listen, could you come by to discuss these x-ray results? | 听着,你能不能过来看看X光的结果? |
[1:39:10] | Hello? | 你好? |
[1:39:14] | Yes? | 是的? |
[1:39:15] | Larry, could you come in to discuss these x-ray results? | 拉里,你能不能过来看看X光的结果? |
[1:39:17] | You remember the x- rays we took? | 你还记得我们给你拍过X光吧? |
[1:39:22] | We can’t discuss them over the phone? | 不能电话里说吗? |
[1:39:25] | I think we’d be more comfortable in person. | 我觉得面对面谈更合适一些 |
[1:39:28] | Can you come in? | 你能来吗? |
[1:39:31] | – When? – Now. | – 什么时候? – 马上 |
[1:39:33] | Now is good. I’ve cleared some time now. | 现在就可以,刚好没事 |
[1:39:44] | Hey, Fagle! | 嘿,菲戈! |
[1:39:50] | Fagle, I got your… | 菲戈,我拿到了你的… |
[1:39:58] | (ROCK MUSIC PLAYING ON HEADPHONES) |