英文名称:A Room With A View
年代:1985
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[02:41] | This is not the tower that what we were led to expect. | 这不像是我们所期待的那个地方 |
[02:44] | I thought we were again to see the Arno. | 我还以为我们又可以看到亚诺河了 |
[02:47] | The signora wrote: “South rooms with a view, close together”. | 夫人在信上特别提到过: “会有相连而且景色宜人的窗户” |
[02:52] | Instead of which, we have north rooms without a view and far apart. | 现在不但没有景色可言而且又离得这么远 |
[03:03] | Hurry and get dressed or we’ll miss our dinner on top of everything else. | 我们得快点打扮,否则会迟到,这顿晚餐是很重要的 |
[03:09] | She had no business doing it. No business at all! | 她根本没有办好这件事,一点也没办好 |
[03:22] | Any nook does for me, but it is hard that you have no view. | 我无所谓,但你得住能看到好风景的房间 |
[03:27] | No, you must have a view, too. | 不,你也一样! |
[03:29] | Buonasera. | 晚上好(意大利语) |
[03:31] | Miss Lavish, what a recommendation for a place! | 这地方真值得介绍,赖小姐 |
[03:35] | Indeed, Miss Alan, it is. | 爱伦小姐,的确如此 |
[03:37] | Between the squalor of London and the squalor of Prato, there is a great gulf fixed. | 从伦敦的贫民区到波特的贫民区有条很美的海湾 |
[03:57] | By going off the track, you get to know the country, | 你应该了解这个地方 |
[04:00] | see the little towns, Gubbio, Settignano, Galuzzo, | 到各个小镇到看看,像鲁比亚,赛肯亚那,加鲁斯欧 |
[04:06] | San Gimignano, Monteriggioni. | 桑卓里亚诺,蒙特里欧 |
[04:10] | Their mixture of the primitive with the classical is irresistible. | 都充满了原始与古典的气息,实在令人向往 |
[04:15] | – Miss Pole? – Yes, Mr. Emerson. | – 波小姐 – 什么事?爱默森先生 |
[04:18] | What is that you are taking? It’s not lemonade, is it? | 你们在说什么?你喝的不是柠檬汁吧? |
[04:22] | – Yes, it is. – Put it right away, Miss Pole. | – 没错,是柠檬汁 – 别喝了,波小姐 |
[04:26] | Lemonade is very bad for the stomach. | 柠檬汁对胃不好 |
[04:30] | Oh! | 哦! |
[04:33] | I shall tell the signora to give the next south view available to you. | 我会告诉他们,若有空房间就先留给你住 |
[04:39] | – Why not to you? – No, I insist. | – 你为何不先住? – 别说了,你先住! |
[04:44] | This meat has surely been boiled. | 这些肉不太新鲜 |
[04:46] | For stock. It’s lost all its flavor. | 味道都没有了 |
[04:52] | Monteriggioni is not only quaint, | 蒙特里欧不仅很有趣 |
[04:55] | but one meets the Italians in all their simplicity and charm. | 而且在那里可以体会出意大利人的纯朴和迷人 |
[05:00] | Wasn’t Monteriggioni where we saw the cornflowers, Teresa? | 我们就是在那里看到矢车菊的,是吧,特里萨? |
[05:06] | An entire carpet of them. It was delightful! | 一片矢车菊海真是好看极了! |
[05:11] | I find the cornflower the most delightful of flowers. | 矢车菊真美! |
[05:17] | I prefer something bolder, the reckless rose, the tempestuous tulip. | 我比较喜欢野性的美,像玫瑰和郁金香 |
[05:23] | – Your mother would never forgive me. – She’d want you to have it. | – 如果我先住,你母亲会怪我的 – 母亲会让你先住的! |
[05:28] | On no account. The view of the Arno is yours. | 不,应该你住 |
[05:30] | I don’t know why we’re arguing, because we have no view. | 我们别争了,反正也没这样的房间 |
[05:35] | I have a view. And so does George. | 我和乔治的房间都可看到美景 |
[05:40] | My son George here. | 他就是我的儿子,乔治 |
[05:42] | You can have our rooms. We’ll have yours. We can change. | 我们可以交换房间 |
[05:49] | – Why not? – Thank you very much. | – 为什么不呢? – 真的很感激 |
[05:53] | – We could not impose on your kindness. – Why? | – 我们心领了 – 为什么? |
[05:57] | – You see … – Hush, Lucy. | – 因为.. – 别说了,露西 |
[06:00] | Women like looking at a view. Men don’t. George, persuade them. | 女人喜欢欣赏景色,男人就不在意这些了,乔治,说服她们! |
[06:06] | It’s obvious they should have the rooms. | 她们是该换房间的! |
[06:09] | – Signora? – No, thank you. | – 还要吗? – 不了 |
[06:12] | We could clear out in fifteen minutes. These niceties go against common sense! | 我们半个小时内就可以收拾好,你们这样做很不合常理 |
[06:19] | Every kind of sense. I don’t care what I see outside. My vision is within. | 我才不管窗外有什么可看的呢,我要看的是内涵 |
[06:26] | Here is where the birds sing and where the sky is blue. | 完全是心里的感觉,内心是否开朗 |
[06:31] | Come, Lucy. | 来,露西 |
[06:37] | Let them have the view if they want it. Why not? George, go after them. | 如果她们想要,就让他们如愿以偿,乔治,再去劝劝她们 |
[06:45] | What an impossible person! | 真是个怪人 |
[06:52] | – He meant to be kind. – I know how to deal with these people. | – 他也是一番好意 – 我会处理,我知道如何对付这种人 |
[06:56] | Charlotte, you dealed rudely. You dealed wrongly. | 可是你实在是太没礼貌了 |
[07:01] | This pensione is a failure. Tomorrow we’ll change. | 来错了这家酒店,明天我们换一家 |
[07:08] | – It’s Mr. Beebe. – Who? | – 那是毕伯先生 – 谁? |
[07:11] | Charlotte, we can’t change now. | 夏绿蒂,我们现在不能换旅馆 |
[07:16] | – Mr. Beebe. – Don’t you remember us? | – 毕伯先生 – 你记得我们吗? |
[07:19] | Miss Bartlett and Miss Honeychurch. | 巴特小姐和汉妮小姐 |
[07:22] | – We met at Tunbridge Wells. – That very cold Easter. | – 我们在华勒斯见过面 – 那是个非常冷的复活节 |
[07:25] | How do you do? | 你好 |
[07:28] | – I heard you are to be our vicar. – Yes, I move into the rectory in June. | – 听说你将是我们教区的牧师 – 是的,我六月到任 |
[07:35] | We did feel so sorry for you in the dining room. | 我们为餐厅的事感到抱歉 |
[07:39] | – Mr. Emerson is so tactless. – But he meant to be kind. | – 爱默森先生太无礼了 – 但他是好意 |
[07:44] | This old gentleman and his son offered us their rooms with a view. | 那位先生想将景色好的房间让给我们 |
[07:49] | It was most indelicate! | 他真是无礼 |
[07:52] | But things that are indelicate can sometimes be beautiful. | 虽是如此,他也是有好的一面 |
[07:57] | – Yes! – I am the chaperone to my young cousin Lucy. | – 是的 – 我是我表妹露西的监护人 |
[08:02] | It would be serious if I put her under an obligation to people of whom I know nothing. | 我必须对她的安全负责,我不能让任何人伤害她 |
[08:09] | – I wouldn’t think much harm could have come. – There. | – 我倒认为这不会发生什么事 – 你看吧,表姐 |
[08:15] | You think I ought to have accepted? You think I have been narrow-minded. | 那你认为我该接受对方的好意?我是以小人之心度君子之腹? |
[08:21] | I never suggested that. | 我不是这个意思 |
[08:24] | If you would allow me, I would be happy to act as intermediary with Mr. Emerson. | 若你愿意,我可以马上和爱默森先生沟通 |
[08:29] | He would not take advantage nor expect gratitude. | 我认为他不会接受任何回报的 |
[08:34] | He has rooms he does not value and thinks you would. | 他并不在乎什么样的房间,而你们却在乎 |
[08:38] | Charlotte, please. | 夏绿蒂,拜托 |
[08:40] | My wishes are unimportant compared with yours. | 我是无所谓的,倒是你自己 |
[08:44] | I am only here through your kindness. | 是你带我来的 |
[08:47] | If you want me to turn these gentlemen out of their rooms, I will do it. | 如果你想换房间,我就随你便 |
[08:53] | Would you, Mr. Beebe, kindly tell Mr. … | 毕伯先生,你可以去告诉… |
[08:58] | – Emerson. – Emerson, | – 爱默森先生 – 爱默森先生 |
[09:02] | we accept his offer? | …我们接受他的好意 |
[09:14] | I would like to thank your father personally for his kindness. | 我想亲自谢谢你的父亲 |
[09:18] | You can’t. He’s in his bath. | 可能不行,他正在洗澡 |
[09:26] | I would have given the larger room to you, | 我本想让你住较大的房间 |
[09:29] | but I happen to know it was the young man’s. | 可是我知道它原是那位年轻人住的 |
[09:34] | In my small way, I am a woman of the world. | 我是个成熟的女人 |
[09:37] | And I know where things can lead. | 我知道事情可能的变化 |
[09:43] | Whatever does it mean? | 这是什么意思? |
[10:35] | Lucy, get dressed or the better part of the day will be gone. | 露西,快穿衣服,一天最好的时光就要溜了 |
[11:48] | You said you liked cornflowers. | 你说喜欢矢车菊 |
[11:50] | – So we brought you cornflowers. – Oh, how kind! | – 所以我们送你一些 – 你人真好! |
[11:54] | They’re your type of flowers. They have your personality. | 它们和你的个性相同 |
[11:59] | I’d like to see them in your hair. | 我喜欢看它戴在你的头发上 |
[12:02] | There are no jewels more becoming to a lady. | 淑女,头饰,相映生辉 |
[12:30] | May I say something rather daring? | 我可以说句话吗? |
[12:34] | Mr. Beebe, you sound like Miss Lavish. | 毕伯先生,你和赖小姐口气蛮像的 |
[12:38] | – Are you writing a novel, too? – If I were, you would be my heroine. | – 你可别说你也在写小说? – 如果我在写,那你就是我的英雄 |
[12:43] | And I should write, “If Miss Honeychurch ever takes to live as she plays | 我将写,”如果汉妮小姐的生活像她的琴声一般… |
[12:51] | “it will be very exciting, both for us and for her”. | …不论对我们以及对她都是多么美好啊.” |
[13:04] | Mother doesn’t like me playing Beethoven. She says I’m peevish afterwards. | 妈妈不喜欢我弹贝多芬的作品,她认为我弹完之后会影响情绪 |
[13:09] | Naturally, one would be stirred up. | 当然,人是会受到影响的 |
[13:14] | Won’t you play some more? | 你要再弹吗? |
[13:16] | No, I think I’ll go out. | 不,我想要出去 |
[13:18] | Alone? Is that wise, Miss Honeychurch? | 单独吗?汉妮小姐,这是明智的决定吗? |
[13:23] | To be wise, one might have stayed at home. | 要明智就得永远待在家了 |
[13:28] | I’ll not go far. I promise. | 我不会走远的,我保证 |
[13:33] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[13:40] | Whatever’s the matter with dear Miss Lucy? | 露西小姐怎么了? |
[13:43] | I put it down to too much Beethoven. | 都是贝多芬的错! |
[13:46] | I heard her beautiful playing. | 我听到她美妙的琴声 |
[13:48] | Miss Catharine, you have flowers in your hair. | 凯瑟琳小姐,你头上有花 |
[14:04] | Buongiorno, buongiorno, Ferdinando! | (意大利话) |
[14:10] | We salute thee. | 我们向你致敬 |
[14:12] | The bronze came from Turkish cannons, captured by the Knights of San Stefano. | 他是土耳其战士,被乱军的骑士逮捕 |
[14:17] | Come along. | 走吧! |
[14:31] | Stop a minute. Let that man go on or I shall have to speak to him. | 等一下,让那个人先走,不然我得和他打招呼 |
[14:37] | Oh, the British abroad! | 是英国驻外人员 |
[14:40] | I’d set an examination at Dover and turn back any tourists who failed. | 负责观光申请的! |
[15:28] | Miss, this sepolcro not very good. You go see affresci di Giotto. | 小姐,这不是最好的!你可以去看最好的! |
[15:34] | – Capella Peruzzi, Capella Bardi very good. – No, thank you. | – 卡佩拉佩鲁齐,巴尔迪礼拜堂比较好 – 不,谢谢 |
[15:38] | Giotto scolaro di Cimabue. Kept the sheep on the mountain. | (意大利语) |
[15:47] | Make a picture of the sheep. | 在船上拍照 |
[15:49] | – No, thank you. – I very … Good speak English. | – 不,谢谢 – 我很内行,又会说英语 |
[15:53] | – Do go away, please. – Capella Peruzzi, affresci di Giotto … | – 请你让开 – 佩鲁齐礼拜堂,乔托的壁画… |
[15:59] | Ciotutto! | 请别打扰我! |
[16:11] | You see here these superb frescoes by Giotto, depicting the life of St. Francis. | 在教堂里可看到吉奥图的绘画, 是描绘圣人法兰西斯的生活情形 |
[16:17] | On the left, there he is, renouncing worldly goods. | 在左边,就在这里,发表世界宣言的 |
[16:21] | And, on the right, the fourth Pope. | 在右边,第四任教皇… |
[16:27] | And here he is preaching to the bishops. | 他向教友们传教的情景 |
[16:32] | And there he is undergoing a trial by fire before the Sultan. | 那边是他接受火刑的情景 |
[16:39] | And here … | 这边… |
[16:41] | Ah, Mr. Eager, good morning. | 哈,依格先生,早上好 |
[16:44] | I’m leading a little private tour of my own. | 我带一个团体来参观 |
[16:51] | Here he is on his deathbed, surrounded … | 这是他死时的情景,围绕着… |
[16:54] | Mr. Eager is our English chaplain here in Florence. | 依格先生是我们英国在此的代表 |
[17:00] | … now unhappily ruined by restoration, | …很不幸地被处罚 |
[17:03] | is untroubled by the snares of anatomy and perspective … | 一切都过去了 |
[17:08] | Look at that fat man! He must weigh as much as I do, but he’s floating like a balloon. | 看那个胖子!他肯定跟我差不多重,却能像个气球一样在天空中飘浮 |
[17:15] | Remember that Santa Croce was built by faith in the full fervor of medievalism. | 记住,这个教堂是依赖信仰和激情建立起来的 |
[17:22] | Built by faith! That simply means the workers weren’t paid properly! | 依赖信仰?也就是说当初那些工人的待遇都不好 |
[17:31] | Pardon me. The chapel is somewhat small. We will incommode you no longer. | 对不起,这个小教堂确实太小,我不在这儿妨碍你们了! |
[17:37] | Oh, I … Oh! | 噢,我…噢! |
[17:39] | Mr. Eager, there’s plenty of room for all of us. You don’t have to … | 依格先生,这个地方不小的,你不必这样… |
[17:44] | Oh, dear. | 天哪?天哪 |
[17:48] | Gather round, everybody. | 各位,请进来 |
[17:51] | You may observe here in the Peruzzi Chapel, | 各位可以发现到在此地 |
[17:54] | as well as in the place from which we’ve been expelled, | 像我们刚离开的那一间 |
[17:58] | the special character of Giotto among the great painters. | 在伟大的画家中,乔托有独特个性 |
[18:04] | He was practical … | 他是个有实力的… |
[18:06] | My poor boy has brains, but he’s very muddled. | 我这可怜的孩子有脑子,但却很糊涂 |
[18:11] | But why should he be? | 他怎么会呢? |
[18:14] | Well may you ask. But think how he’s been brought up, | 问得好啊,但是想想他是如何受教育的… |
[18:18] | free from the superstition that leads men to hate in the name of God. | 迷信使得人们借上帝之名互相仇恨 |
[18:25] | I must go … | 我得走了… |
[18:27] | I don’t require you to fall in love with my boy, but please help him. | 我不是让你去爱上他,只是请你帮助他 |
[18:33] | If only one could stop him from brooding. | 如果有人能劝他清醒… |
[18:37] | And on what The things of the universe. | 认清宇宙中的一切事物 |
[18:43] | I don’t believe in this world sorrow. Do you? | 我不信悲观的论调,你呢? |
[18:47] | No, I don’t. Not at all, Mr. Emerson. | 我也不信!一点不信! |
[18:51] | Well, there you are. Make my boy realize that, | 你是对的.请也使我的孩子明白 |
[18:57] | at the side of the everlasting “why”, there is a “yes”. | 在无穷的”为什么”的边上,一定存在”是的”这种肯定的一面! |
[19:02] | And a “yes” and a “yes”! | 有”是的” 还有”是的” |
[19:06] | Has your son no particular hobby? | 你儿子有特别的爱好吗? |
[19:09] | I forget my worries at the piano, | 比方我喜欢弹琴 |
[19:11] | and collecting stamps helped my brother. | 还有集邮是弟弟的爱好 |
[19:14] | Excuse me. My cousin will be most anxious if I don’t get back. | 我得走了,爱默森先生,如果我不快回去,表姐会着急 |
[19:20] | – Poor girl. – Poor girl? | – 可怜的女孩 – 可怜的女孩? |
[19:23] | I think myself most fortunate. I’m very happy and having a splendid time. | 我觉得自己是幸运的女孩,非常幸福,一直如此 |
[19:29] | Thank you very much. Goodbye. | 谢谢你,再见 |
[19:51] | Look at that adorable wine cart. How he stares at us, dear simple soul! | 看那可爱的运酒车,看看他看我们的神情,纯朴可爱 |
[19:57] | I love these little dark alleys. | 我喜欢看小巷 |
[20:02] | They’re all peasants, you know. Come along. | 他们都是农夫,向前走 |
[20:13] | I do declare we’re lost. | 我想我们迷路了 |
[20:18] | No, Miss Bartlett, you will not look into your Baedeker. | 不,你别看旅行指南了 |
[20:23] | Two lone females in an unknown city, that’s what I call an adventure. | 二个孤单的女士在不知名的城市,我叫它”冒险” |
[20:28] | We will simply drift. | 我们就随遇而安吧! |
[20:34] | One always has to be wide open. I think Miss Lucy is. | 为人应保持开放,我想露西小姐就是如此 |
[20:38] | – Open to what, Miss Lavish? – To physical sensation. | – 哪方面开放? – 身体感受 |
[20:42] | I’ll let you into a secret. I have my eye on your cousin. | 我告诉你一个秘密,我注意过你表妹… |
[20:47] | For a character in your novel? | 是为了你书中的某个角色? |
[20:50] | The young English girl, transfigured by Italy. | 年轻的英国女孩在意大利有了改变 |
[20:53] | And why should she not be transfigured? | 她为何不被改变? |
[20:57] | It happened to the Goths. | 歌德就改变过 |
[21:06] | Signorina? | 太太们? |
[21:10] | The smell! | 这个味道! |
[21:12] | A true Florentine smell. Inhale, my dear. | 正宗的佛罗伦萨味道.吸气!亲爱的! |
[21:16] | Deeper. | 深呼吸! |
[21:19] | Every city, let me tell you, has its own smell. | 意大利每一个城市都有特殊的味道 |
[21:26] | Grazie. | (意大利话) |
[23:34] | How are you now? | 你现在如何? |
[23:39] | Perfectly well. Absolutely well. | 好了,完全好了 |
[23:43] | Then, let’s go home. | 我们回去吧! |
[23:46] | There’s no point in our stopping. | 我们留下没用的! |
[23:50] | How very kind you’ve been. I can go alone. Thank you. | 你真是太好了!谢谢你,我自己可以走 |
[23:55] | – My photographs! – What photographs? | – 我的照片? – 什么照片? |
[23:59] | I must have dropped them in the square. Would you be so kind … | 我一定掉在那里了,你是否可以… |
[24:15] | Miss Honeychurch! | 汉妮小姐! |
[24:20] | You’re not fit enough to go alone. | 你不适合单独回去 |
[24:22] | – I am. – No, you’re not! | – 我可以,谢谢 – 不,你不行 |
[24:25] | – But … – Then I don’t get the photographs. | – 但我必须回去了 – 那我就不去找照片了 |
[24:29] | Besides, that way, you’d have to fly over the wall. | 而且,你必须要爬墙 |
[24:32] | Sit down and don’t move until I come back. | 记住,请坐下来,不要走! |
[25:59] | Isn’t it extraordinary? | 很棒吧! |
[26:02] | I mean, Italians are so kind, so lovable, and yet at the same time so violent. | 我是指意大利人很仁慈很可爱,同时又这么暴力 |
[26:11] | Mr. Emerson? | 爱默森先生? |
[26:15] | I’ve never been so ashamed. I can’t think what came over me. | 我这一生没这么难堪过,我不知道怎么回事? |
[26:20] | It’s perfectly natural. I nearly fainted myself. | 这是很自然的!我自己也很失态! |
[26:24] | Well, I owe you a thousand apologies. | 我应向你道歉 |
[26:28] | And I want to ask you a great favor. | 我想请你帮个忙 |
[26:33] | You know how silly people are… | 你知道好多无聊的人喜欢… |
[26:37] | …Gossiping. | …说长道短 |
[26:41] | Ladies especially, I’m afraid. | 特别是女士… |
[26:45] | – You understand what I mean? – No. | – 你了解我的意思吗? – 不 |
[26:50] | I mean, would you not mention it to anyone, my foolish behavior. | 请你别对任何人提起我的失态 |
[27:02] | What was that? I believe it was my photographs! | 那是什么?好像是我的相片? |
[27:06] | I didn’t know what to do with them. They were covered with blood. | 我不知道如何处理,上面都是血 |
[27:10] | There. Now I’ve told you. | 现在我告诉你了 |
[27:17] | Something tremendous has happened. | 有些美妙的事发生 |
[27:23] | Well, thank you again. | 再次谢谢你 |
[27:27] | How quickly accidents happen. Then one returns to the old life. | 一下子发生这么多事,一个人回到了古老时代 |
[27:32] | I don’t. | 我却不是 |
[27:34] | I mean, something’s happened to me. | 我是指我遇到了一些事 |
[27:39] | And to you. | 你也是! |
[28:05] | – No! – She is my sister. | – 不 – 她是我妹妹 |
[28:10] | – We ought not to allow this. – They’re doing no harm. | – 我不确定应该允许这种事 – 他们没有做坏事 |
[28:13] | You can’t object in such a landscape. | 此情此景我不认为你该反对 |
[28:17] | As long as she is his sister. | 但毕竟是他的妹妹? |
[28:21] | So, Miss Honeychurch, you’re traveling. As a student of art? | 汉妮丘吉小姐,你是以学生身份旅行的? |
[28:26] | – No, I’m afraid not. – As a student of human nature like myself? | – 不,我不是 – 也许是以人类学学生的身份吧 |
[28:32] | – I’m here as a tourist. – Indeed? | – 我是来此观光的 – 真的吗? |
[28:35] | We residents sometimes pity you poor tourists not a little. | 请别认为我无礼,有时会有些可怜的观光客带一只箱子 |
[28:40] | Handed about like parcels from Venice to Florence to Rome, | 走马观花地从威尼斯到佛罗伦斯,到罗马 |
[28:45] | unconscious of anything outside Baedeker, anxious to get done and go on elsewhere. | 对外地之事一无所知!慌忙地走到各地方 |
[28:51] | I abhor Baedeker. I’d fling every copy in the Arno. | 我认为任何事都该受到尊敬的 |
[28:56] | Towns, rivers, palaces, all mixed up in an inextricable whirl. | 城镇,河流,宫殿,全都混为一个神奇的世界中 |
[29:04] | Over there, Miss Honeychurch, | 请注意那边,汉妮小姐 |
[29:07] | the villa of my dear friend Lady Laverstock, | 我的好友海伦史塔夫人的别墅 |
[29:10] | at present busy with a Fra Angelico definitive study. | 目前是艺术中心 |
[29:15] | And, on your left, no, just there, | 在你的左边…不,在那边 |
[29:19] | Mr. Henry Burridge lives. | 亨利先生住的地方 |
[29:23] | An American of the best type. So rare! | 他是最佳典型的美国人,不过很少见 |
[29:26] | Doubtless you know his monographs in Medieval Byways. | 他写过许多文章 |
[29:38] | Your father, Mr. Emerson, is a journalist? | 我想你父亲是个记者? |
[29:42] | – He used to be. – He’s retired? And you, yourself? | – 他曾经是的 – 他退休了,你呢? |
[29:47] | I’m on the railways. | 我在铁路局上班 |
[29:50] | You know the American girl in Punch who says to her father, | 有个美国人对他父亲说 |
[29:54] | “Say, Poppa, what did we see in Rome?” | “爸爸,我们在罗马看什么?” |
[29:57] | The father replies, “Guess Rome was where we saw the yellow dog.” | 他父亲回答说:”罗马可以看到黄狗” |
[30:02] | Yellow dog! | 黄狗! |
[30:05] | There’s traveling for you! | 你是为这个吗? |
[30:08] | What? Stop at once! | 怎么了?快停车 |
[30:17] | I’m not having this. | 我看不下去了 |
[30:19] | Ferma la carrozza subito! | (意大利语) |
[30:22] | Have we bolted? | 我们还得坐车啊? |
[30:37] | What? Is Phaethon misbehaving with his Persephone? | 出事了吗?是凡顿开得不好吗? |
[30:40] | – Please, I’ll deal with them. – Leave them. | -我知道如何对付这些人 -算了吧! |
[30:44] | Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it away? | 我们不是经常如此快乐的 |
[30:48] | Scenda! | (意大利语) |
[32:03] | Beauty! | 美景! |
[32:09] | Espoir! | 自由 |
[32:13] | Is that your son? | 那不是你儿子吗? |
[32:16] | Could that be the silent, dour George? | 乔治,不能叫他安静吗? |
[32:20] | He’s saying his creed. | 他在发泄他的感受 |
[32:25] | One more lump, if I might trouble you, Mr. Beebe. | 再来一点,麻烦一下!毕伯先生 |
[32:30] | Joy! | 真理 |
[32:33] | Beauty! | 美景! |
[32:36] | Joy … | 真理! |
[32:40] | He’s declaring the eternal “yes”. | 他在宣布永恒的肯定 |
[32:43] | And a spoon, if there is one. | 有没有汤匙? |
[32:47] | Love! | 爱! |
[32:50] | – What’s that? – The gentlemen are doubtless having a game. | – 什么声音? – 绅士在玩游戏 |
[32:55] | Why don’t you join them, dear? | 你为何不加入他们呢? |
[32:58] | I want to stop here with you. | 因为我要在此与你们在一起 |
[33:00] | Observe my foresight. I never venture forth without my mackintosh squares. | 看我一向都带着它才出外的 |
[33:06] | At any time, one may have to sit on damp ground or cold marble. | 任何时候,它都可来放湿地上或冷石头上 |
[33:12] | Lucy, you have the other one. | 来,露西!还有一个 |
[33:15] | Come on, I insist. The ground will do for me. | 我坚持你坐,我比较适合坐地上 |
[33:20] | I have not had rheumatism for years, and if I feel a twinge I’ll stand up. | 多年来我都没这样子,如果我无法这么做,我会宁愿站着! |
[33:28] | And she never went back to Weybridge? | 她没再回威布里治? |
[33:31] | Her friend had to return without her. She remained at Monteriano. | 是的,她必须自己走,他一个人留下 |
[33:35] | And did she really … | 她真的…? |
[33:45] | No, no. Don’t be alarmed. This is not a cold. | 不要紧张,没有感冒 |
[33:48] | Just a slight cough. I’ve had it for three days. | 只是有一点咳,已经三天了 |
[33:52] | Nothing to do with sitting on the ground. | 和坐在地上无关 |
[33:55] | I shall go and find Mr. Beebe. | 我去找毕伯先生 |
[33:58] | Oh, do, dear. He will be so pleased. | 走吧,亲爱的!他一定会很高兴的 |
[34:07] | – Did she really marry this Italian? – In the church at Monteriano. | – 她真的嫁给意大利人 – 在蒙特利亚那教堂结的婚 |
[34:11] | A youth. Ten years younger than herself. | 嫁给一个年轻她十岁的人 |
[34:17] | Eleanor! | 埃莉诺! |
[34:31] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[34:34] | Dove Mr. Beebe? | 毕伯先生呢? |
[34:40] | Buoni uomini? | (意大利语) |
[34:54] | I think there is something in the Italian landscape | 我有个感觉,在意大利 |
[34:58] | which inclines even the most stolid to romance. | 有些事物本身就代表着情调 |
[35:02] | It reminds me somewhat of the country around Shropshire. | 使我想起夏佛 |
[35:06] | Where I once spent a holiday at the home of my friend Miss Apesbury. | 我在那儿和一个朋友爱斯小姐度过一个假日 |
[35:13] | And I divine it, Charlotte. You had an adventure there. | 我想…你在那里一定有段奇遇 |
[35:19] | Vain to deny it. | 不要否认 |
[36:51] | Lucy! | 露西! |
[37:10] | Mr. Eager, do come and join us. Miss Honeychurch is feeling unwell. | 依格先生,请加入我们,汉妮小姐感觉难过… |
[37:20] | Andiamo. | 爱迪 |
[37:30] | Andiamo! | 爱迪 |
[37:32] | George. George. | 乔治,乔治 |
[37:36] | – Aren’t you coming with us? – I’ll walk. | – 你不和我们一起走吗? – 不,我想走路 |
[37:43] | Are you sure? | 走路? |
[38:29] | Courage, Miss Honeychurch, and faith. | 勇敢些,汉妮小姐,自信些 |
[38:32] | Do you suppose this display is called into existence to extinguish you or me? | 你认为这么恶劣的天气是因你或我而引起的吗? |
[38:38] | Even scientifically, the chances against being struck are enormous. | 以科学观点来看,这也不寻常 |
[38:42] | The steel knives that might attract the current are in the other carriage. | 钢制的餐刀在另一个箱子 |
[38:55] | What is to be done? | 到底是怎么回事? |
[38:57] | How do you propose to silence him? | 如何叫他别说出来? |
[39:01] | – The driver? – My dear girl, no. Mr. George Emerson. | – 那车夫? – 不是,是乔治•爱默森先生 |
[39:07] | I don’t wish to be uncharitable, but I know he will talk. | 我不想下评论,但我知道他会说出 |
[39:12] | He will not. He never talks. | 但他不会的,永远不会 |
[39:14] | One’s lucky to get as much as a “yes” or “no” out of him. | 能听到他说话,就算是幸运的人了 |
[39:19] | Unfortunately, I have met the type before. | 真不幸,我以前也碰过这种人 |
[39:24] | They seldom keep their exploits to themselves. | 他们很少对自己保持沉默 |
[39:28] | Exploits? | 沉默 |
[39:32] | Very well. I’ll speak to him. | 好吧.我会和他谈 |
[39:37] | Oh, no, my dear Lucy. I think it is for me to do that. | 不,露西,应该由我来做 |
[39:45] | He should have been here at least an hour ago. | 就算是走路,他一小时前该到此地 |
[39:49] | Don’t stand there, dear. You will be seen from the outside. | 别站在那里!亲爱的!外面会看见你的 |
[39:57] | The moment he comes, I shall face him. | 他一回来我就要找他 |
[40:00] | No, my dear, you will do no such thing. | 不行,你不能这么做 |
[40:05] | My poor dear girl, you are so young! | 可怜的女孩,你年纪太小了! |
[40:07] | You’ve always lived among such nice people. You cannot realize what men can be. | 你一直生活在善良人群中,你不了解男人的 |
[40:14] | This afternoon, if I had not arrived, what would have happened? | 今天下午如果我没出现,又将如何? |
[40:19] | – I can’t think. – Answer me, Lucia. | – 我无法想像 – 回答我,露西 |
[40:23] | What would have happened had I not appeared? | 如果不是我去,将会如何? |
[40:27] | You did appear! | 可是你来了! |
[40:30] | Oh, I have vexed you at every turn. | 我们老是无法沟通 |
[40:33] | It’s true. I am too old for you. And too dull. | 我们之间有代沟!而且我使你感到乏味 |
[40:40] | It will be a push to catch the morning train. | 我们明天搭早班火车 |
[40:44] | I have failed in my duty to your mother. She will never forgive me when you tell her. | 我的任务失败了,假如你告诉你母亲,她永远不会原谅我的 |
[40:50] | Come away from the window! | 别站在窗口! |
[40:53] | She will certainly blame me when she hears of it. | 当她听到后一定会责怪我的 |
[40:56] | Certainly. | 当然 |
[41:00] | And deservedly. | 当然 |
[41:03] | – Why need Mother hear of it? – Well, you tell her everything. Don’t you? | – 为什么一定要告诉母亲? – 你不是凡事都告诉她的吗? |
[41:10] | I suppose I do, generally. | 通常是的! |
[41:13] | There’s such a beautiful confidence between you. | 你们之间的信任真好 |
[41:17] | One would hate to break it. | 别人不愿去破坏的! |
[41:20] | And, as I’ve said before, I am to blame. | 正如我所说的,要怪该怪我 |
[41:23] | I wouldn’t want Mother to think so. | 我想母亲不会这么认为的 |
[41:25] | She will think so, if you tell her. | 如果你告诉她,她就会… |
[41:30] | I shall never speak of it to Mother or anyone. | 我不会告诉母亲或是任何人的 |
[41:37] | We’ll both be as silent as the grave. | 我们谁都不说出去 |
[41:42] | You’d better get to bed, dear. We have to make an early start. | 你快去睡吧!明天得早起呢! |
[41:50] | But, of course, we have not had a full week. | 我们不满一星期 |
[41:53] | I reserved them for a week like you wrote you wanted. | 但你是订了一个星期的房间 |
[41:57] | Yes, but we’ve only had half a week, so I calculate we owe you half the price. | 但我们只住了半个星期,所以只付一半费用 |
[42:02] | I’m the loser. I could have let them rooms five times over. | 那我吃亏了!一向都是我使唤别人的! |
[42:31] | Buonasera. Grazie. | (意大利语) |
[42:49] | Lucy! We must get packed immediately! | 露西,我们得立刻收拾行李! |
[42:55] | I wish to have a word with you, Mr. Emerson, in the drawing room, please. | 我要和你谈谈,爱默森先生,请到客厅吧! |
[43:23] | – You shouldn’t peep. – Cecil asked my permission, | – 你不该偷看的,妈妈 – 西索请求我的允许 |
[43:27] | but he can’t manage without me. | 没有我,他办不到 |
[43:30] | – Nor me. – You? | – 我也一样 – 你? |
[43:32] | – He asked my permission also. – Whatever did you say? | – 他也要求我答应 – 很好,你怎么说? |
[43:35] | – I said no. – What? | – 我不答应 – 什么? |
[43:37] | It’s the way he put it. Wouldn’t it be a splendid thing for Lucy if he married her? | 我没办法,他认为露西能嫁给他是她的福气 |
[43:43] | Wasn’t I off my head with joy? So I said no, I wasn’t. | 而我也会很有面子,所以我拒绝 |
[43:48] | Ridiculous child. You think you’re so holy and truthful, but it’s just conceit. | 傻孩子,你自认为清高,但这是不切实际的 |
[43:55] | Look out! | 当心! |
[43:58] | I promessi spose! | (意大利语) |
[44:04] | – She has accepted me. – I’m so glad. | – 她接受我了 – 我真是太高兴了 |
[44:08] | Dear Cecil, what joy! | 西索,真是太好了 |
[44:12] | – Well, welcome as one of the family. – Thank you. | – 欢迎你成为这家庭的一分子 – 谢谢 |
[44:19] | – Mother? – Lucy. | – 母亲? – 露西 |
[44:37] | Freddy! | 佛莱迪! |
[44:44] | – Mr. Beebe. – Thank you, Mary. | – 毕伯先生 – 谢谢你,玛丽 |
[44:46] | Hello, Mr. Vyse, I’ve come for tea. Do you suppose I shall get it? | 你好,凡斯先生,我是来喝杯茶的,可以吗? |
[44:51] | Food is the one thing one does get here. | 食物只是来这里的一部分原因 |
[44:55] | – What an extraordinary thing! – One of Freddy’s bones. | – 是个怪东西! – 是佛莱迪的骨头 |
[44:59] | He’s terrible. A most unpromising youth. So unlike his sister. | 佛莱迪真是个可怕的年青人,和他姐姐不一样! |
[45:06] | You think his sister is promising? | 你认为她成熟吗? |
[45:09] | I have a pet theory about Miss Honeychurch. | 我对汉妮小姐有个看法 |
[45:12] | Is it not odd that she should play Beethoven with such passion and live so quietly? | 你不认为她的琴法非凡吗?把感情溶在贝多芬的曲子中,过得又是那么恬静 |
[45:21] | I suspect that one day … | 我想有一天… |
[45:25] | … music and life will mingle. | ..音乐和生活融合 |
[45:29] | Then she will be wonderful in both. | 她会把二者都处理得很好 |
[45:32] | I trust that day is at hand. She has just promised to marry me. | 我相信这种日子已经存在了,她刚刚答应嫁给我了 |
[45:40] | I’m sorry if I’ve given you a shock. | 抱歉,如果我使你感到惊讶 |
[45:43] | I’m awfully sorry. I’d no idea you were so intimate with her. | 我认为你们是非常相配的一对 |
[45:48] | You should have stopped me. Shall we join the others? | 我们去加入他们好吗? |
[45:55] | Congratulations. | 恭喜! |
[45:57] | Blessings. Your vicar’s benediction. | 祝福你们 |
[46:02] | I want you to be supremely happy. | 我希望你们非常幸福,快乐 |
[46:04] | And supremely good, both as man and wife, mother and father. | 祝两位夫妻,为人父母永远幸福 |
[46:10] | And now I want my tea. | 我现在要喝杯茶了 |
[46:12] | Just in time. How dare you be so serious! | 刚好赶上,你真不客气 |
[46:21] | – Summer Street will never be the same. – It’s too small for anyone like ourselves. | – 地方太小了 – 至少应该和我们一样 |
[46:26] | It might attract the wrong type. The trains have improved so. | 可能会引起不良反应,火车的服务已经改善了! |
[46:30] | Fatal. What are five miles from the station these days? | 真是重要的改进,骑脚踏车走五里路会是什么滋味? |
[46:35] | Sir Harry, how about spinsters as tenants? | 哈瑞先生,关于佃户和纺织女,你的看法如何? |
[46:39] | Most certainly! That is, if they are gentlewomen. | 只要是温和的女人,都是一样喜欢 |
[46:42] | Indeed they are. Miss Teresa and Miss Catharine Alan. I met them in Italy. | 她们很温和,目前都无家可归,我在意大利认识他们的 |
[46:49] | Sir Harry, beware of these gentlewomen. Only let to a man. | 哈瑞爵士,你可要小心这些女士,所有女人总是会向男人倾谈的 |
[46:54] | Provided, of course, he’s clean. | 当然他必须是洁身自爱的 |
[46:56] | You’d love the Miss Alans. | 妈,你会喜欢艾伦小姐的 |
[46:59] | I don’t think I’d like anyone at that pensione. | 我才不会喜欢住在那公寓的人呢 |
[47:03] | Wasn’t there a lady novelist and a free-thinking father and son? | 那不也住着一对思想开放的父子?怀斯先生,你的职业是… |
[47:08] | I have no profession. My attitude, quite indefensible, | 我没有职业,我是抱着省麻烦的态度 |
[47:13] | is that, if I trouble no one, I may do as I like. | 只要我没妨碍他人,我就为所欲为 |
[47:16] | It is, I dare say, an example of my decadence. | 这就是显示我失意的一面 |
[47:20] | You’re very fortunate. Leisure is a wonderful opportunity. | 你很幸运!能悠游自在是个好命运 |
[47:26] | Don’t slouch, Lucy. Go and talk to Mrs. Pool. Ask her about her leg. | 不要头低低的,露西,去跟保尔先生说话 |
[47:32] | Would Cecil and I be missed if we went for a walk? | 我能和西索去散步吗? |
[47:36] | I think it would be all right. Don’t get your frock muddied. | 可以吧!可别弄脏衣服! |
[48:00] | It’s disgusting the way an engagement is regarded as public property. | 订婚被视为公开,真是受不了 |
[48:05] | All those old women smirking. | 老女人一直傻笑… |
[48:09] | One has to go through it. They won’t notice us much next time. | 总是要经历的,下次就不会再注意 |
[48:13] | But their whole attitude is wrong. | 这是错的态度 |
[48:16] | An engagement, horrid word in the first place, | 订婚,一可怕的字眼 |
[48:20] | is a private matter and should be regarded as such. | 是私人的事,而且也该认为如此 |
[48:23] | Oh. | 哦 |
[48:26] | – There’s your philosophizing parson. – Don’t you like Mr. Beebe? | – 你的哲学家在那里 – 你不喜欢毕伯先生吗? |
[48:30] | I never said so. I consider him far above the average. | 我可没说,他是值得尊敬的 |
[48:36] | Mr. Beebe, I’ve had a wonderful idea. | 毕伯先生,我有个好主意 |
[48:38] | I’m going to write to our Miss Alans and ask them to take Sir Harry’s villa. | 我要写信给艾伦小姐,要她接受哈瑞先生的别墅 |
[48:44] | Sir Harry deserves a tenant as vulgar as himself. | 哈瑞爵士是该有个和他一样粗俗的房客 |
[48:48] | Oh, Mr. Vyse, he’s really very nice. | 怀斯先生,他真的很好 |
[48:52] | Gentlewomen! Yuck! | 淑女! |
[48:54] | Acting the little god down here with his patronage | 扮演小上帝 |
[48:58] | and his sham aesthetics, and everyone is taken in. | 以他的斯文好客和伪善骗了大家 |
[49:02] | I’ll write to them, and if you’d also send a word? | 我将写信给他们,你要带话吗? |
[49:06] | Certainly. A highly suitable addition to our little community. | 要!一个很适合本社区的 |
[49:11] | Goodness, how cross you are! | 天!啊,你好粗俗! |
[49:19] | It was that miserable tea party and all those dreadful people. | 那可悲的茶会在那里和那些可怕的人们 |
[49:24] | And not being alone with you. | 无法和你独处 |
[49:26] | Hmm. | 嗯 |
[49:48] | Italy and London are the places where I feel I truly belong. | 意大利和伦敦是我心属之地 |
[49:53] | I am something of an Inglese Italianato. | (意大利话) |
[49:58] | E un diavolo incarnato. You know the proverb? | 你知道这谚语吗? |
[50:06] | I somehow think you feel more at home with me in a room. | 我想你我同处一室将会更愉快吧 |
[50:11] | Never in the real country like this. | 从来没有像这样和谐共处 |
[50:14] | I think you’re right. When I do think of you, it is always in a room. | 你说对了,我每想及你,总是在房间里 |
[50:22] | This is the Sacred Lake. | 这是神秘湖 |
[50:24] | Very picturesque, but hardly a lake. More of a puddle. | 风景如画,但不太像湖,反倒像一小水坑 |
[50:31] | Freddy loves to bathe here. He’s very fond of it. | 佛莱迪喜欢在这洗澡,他很喜欢这里 |
[50:35] | And you? | 你呢? |
[50:38] | I used to bathe here, too. | 我以前偷偷在这儿洗 |
[50:41] | Until I was found out. | 直到被发现 |
[50:45] | – Lucy. – Hmm? | – 露西 – 嗯? |
[50:47] | Yes, I suppose we ought to be going. | 是,我想我们该走了 |
[50:54] | I want to ask you something that I have never asked before. | 我想要求一件事,我从没要求过 |
[50:59] | What, Cecil? | 什么事,西索? |
[51:02] | Yes? | 什么? |
[51:05] | I have never kissed you. | 直到如今,我尚未吻你 |
[51:08] | No. You haven’t. | 是的,你没有 |
[51:13] | May I now? | 我现在可以吗? |
[51:15] | Well, of course you may, Cecil. | 当然可以,西索 |
[51:17] | You might before. I can’t run at you. | 你以前就可以了,你知道我不能拒绝你的 |
[51:47] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[52:10] | Mother’s right. Those people Charlotte and I met at the pensione, | 妈是对的!我们在公寓遇见的人… |
[52:14] | they were all rather extraordinary. | …都是很奇怪的 |
[52:29] | Our neighbor and friend, Sir Harry Otway, | 我们的邻居和老友,哈瑞爵士 |
[52:32] | has a villa in Summer Street for which he needs a tenant. | 在夏日街有一别墅出让 |
[52:36] | I immediately thought of you. | 我立刻就想到你 |
[52:38] | “The house has the added attraction | 这房子有一种外加的吸引力 |
[52:41] | “that it stands exactly across the road from the Reverend Beebe’s church. | 从可敬的毕伯教堂看过去,位于路的正对面 |
[52:46] | “I told him of my plan to lure you hither, and he is in complete agreement | 我告诉他我想诱你来这儿的计划,他完全赞成 |
[52:52] | “and says he is writing today to urge you to consider our little corner of Surrey. | 并且说他今天会写信给你,催你考虑我们沙瑞城的小角落 |
[52:58] | “Yours sincerely, Lucy Honeychurch.” There. | 诚挚的露西•汉妮丘吉敬上.你看 |
[54:12] | – Good night. – Good night. | – 晚安! – 晚安! |
[54:15] | Oh, dear. | 噢.亲爱的 |
[54:20] | – Good night. – Good night. | – 晚安! – 晚安! |
[54:25] | Good night. See you Friday. | 晚安!星期五见! |
[54:27] | – That will be all, Rose. Thank you. – Thank you, madam. | – 罗思,谢谢你! – 夫人,谢谢你! |
[54:32] | Good night, Rose. | 晚安,罗思 |
[54:35] | Make Lucy one of us. Lucy’s becoming wonderful. | 让露西成为我们的一员,她真的越来越好了 |
[54:39] | Her music always was wonderful. | 她的音乐一直都非常好. |
[54:41] | But she’s purging off that Honeychurch taint. You know what I mean. | 但她净化了音乐,我指的是你要结婚的汉妮 |
[54:46] | Not quoting the servants or asking how the pudding is made. | 不要问布丁是怎么做的 |
[54:51] | Mind you marry her next January. | 你希望在明年一月结婚吗? |
[54:55] | Her music, the style of her … | 她的音乐表现了她的风格 |
[54:58] | How she kept to Schubert when, like an idiot, I wanted Beethoven. | 她融合了舒伯特和贝多芬! |
[55:03] | Schubert was right for this evening. | 舒伯特的小夜曲真美! |
[55:07] | Mother, I shall have our children educated just like Lucy. | 我真想让我的孩子象露西般长大 |
[55:11] | Bring them up among honest country folk for freshness, | 在诚实的村中成长,培养纯真的心灵 |
[55:15] | send them to Italy for subtlety. | 送他们到意大利学习世故 |
[55:20] | And not till then bring them to London. | 然后,很快地,送他们到伦敦 |
[55:24] | Not a day beyond January. | 可别在一月之后结婚 |
[55:39] | Cecil darling. | 西索…亲爱的 |
[55:44] | So, you do love me, little thing? | 你是真的爱我,小宝贝? |
[56:30] | Lucy! | 露西! |
[56:33] | I want to show her this letter from the Miss Alans. | 有封来自艾伦小姐的信 |
[56:37] | The tiresome Miss Alans. I hate their “if”-ing and “but”-ing. | 我好讨厌他们的”如果..””但是…” |
[56:41] | Well, now they’re really coming. | 她们决定了,她们要来了 |
[56:44] | I had a letter from Miss Teresa asking how often the butcher called. | 有封来自泰瑞沙小姐的信,询问屠夫多久来一次 |
[56:49] | My reply impressed her favorably. Lucy? | 显然地,我的回答使她满意,露西? |
[56:53] | Go for her. Get her round the shins. | 捉她!捉她! |
[56:56] | – Freddy, be careful! – You really are savages, you know. | – 佛莱迪,小心点! – 你知道他们真的好粗野 |
[57:03] | Impossible to make oneself heard. Don’t you want to hear about the Miss Alans? | 小心别受伤了!难道你不想知道艾伦小姐说了什么? |
[57:08] | – Who? – Sir Harry’s new tenants. | – 艾伦小姐是谁? – 哈瑞爵士的新房客 |
[57:11] | – That wasn’t the name. – Wasn’t whose name? | – 不是那个名字 – 那还会是哪个名字? |
[57:14] | Sir Harry’s tenants. I met him this morning and he said, | 哈瑞爵士的新房客,早上我见过他,他说: |
[57:18] | “I have procured desirable tenants.” | “至少我有我喜欢的房客了” |
[57:23] | I said, “Hurray,” and slapped him on the back. | 我说,”是啊,老兄!” |
[57:26] | – Exactly. The Miss Alans. – More like Anderson. | – 没错,就是爱伦小姐 – 好像是安德森先生 |
[57:30] | I knew there’d be another muddle. I’m always right. | 老天啊!我就知道又弄错了 |
[57:35] | Only Freddy’s muddle, who doesn’t even know their name. | 是佛莱迪弄不清楚,他不知道他们的名字 |
[57:39] | Yes, I do. I’ve got it. It was Emerson. | 我知道,是爱默森 |
[57:44] | – What a weathercock Sir Harry is. – I hope they’re the right kind of people. | – 哈瑞爵士真是朝令夕改 – 我希望他们是正直善良的人 |
[57:50] | Yes, Freddy, there is a right and a wrong sort. | 佛莱迪,世上有好人和坏人 |
[57:54] | These must be all right. They’re friends of Cecil’s. | 他们一定是好人,他们是西索的朋友 |
[57:58] | – Cecil? – So you can all call in perfect safety. | – 西索? – 这样就绝对安全了吧 |
[58:03] | – Cecil? – We met some Emersons in Florence. | – 西索! – 我们在佛罗伦斯也认识叫爱默森的人 |
[58:07] | The oddest people, Mrs. Honeychurch, but we rather liked them. | 很奇怪的人,但我们相当喜欢他们 |
[58:13] | Emerson’s a common enough name. | 爱默森是很常见的姓氏 |
[58:18] | “So really desirable. I’ve telegraphed them.” | “他们的确讨人喜欢,让我拍电报给他们” |
[58:22] | Don’t be silly, Freddy. You always overdo it. | 佛莱迪,你每玩必输 |
[58:25] | A most remarkable father and son. | 父子两人都很特殊 |
[58:29] | Father’s something of a radical. The son, full of possibilities. | 父亲是一个激进分子,儿子则满脑子的幻想 |
[58:34] | Don’t move. Stay where you are. Ginevra de Benci! | 不要动!站在那里 |
[58:40] | Did you know you were a Leonardo, smiling at things beyond our ken? | 你是蒙娜丽莎,对着不知名的一切微笑 |
[58:45] | What’s this about Sir Harry’s new tenants? | 哈瑞爵士的房客是怎么回事? |
[58:47] | I have found him tenants for his Cissie Villa. | 我替他那脂粉气的别墅找到了新房客 |
[58:51] | I’ve won a great victory for the comic muse. | 也算是个嘲讽性的消遣 |
[58:54] | After all the trouble I took over the Miss Alans. | 爱伦小姐怎么办? |
[58:59] | Of course I’d prefer friends of yours … | 当然我比较喜欢和你好友来住 |
[59:02] | Friends of mine? The joke is to come. | 我的好友?这根本是一则笑话 |
[59:05] | They’re strangers I met in the National Gallery. | 我们完全不认识,我在国家画廊认识他们 |
[59:08] | They had been to Italy. A father and son. The oddest couple. | 他们也去过意大利,父子两人,奇怪的一对 |
[59:12] | In the course of conversazione, they said they wanted a country cottage. | 他们问我是否知道.. |
[59:18] | A simple burrow where they could smell the earth. | 一处他们可以闻到泥土味的农舍出租 |
[59:22] | Of course, London has its own character, | 当然,伦敦自有其特性 |
[59:25] | but we’ve a longing for green things growing, don’t we, George? | 但我们一直想有个绿野的环境 |
[59:30] | The sweetness of the English countryside, | 在英国乡间 |
[59:34] | of wet hedgerows with birds singing inside them. | 听灌木丛中的鸟鸣 |
[59:38] | I know we should make our heaven and earth where we are. | 我们应该随遇而安 |
[59:42] | However, I fear I’ve faltered and need some help from outside. | 我需要外人帮助 |
[59:47] | Well, in short, sir, what I seek is a country cottage where George can come at weekends. | 简言之,我在找一乡间小舍,乔治可趁周末来探望我 |
[59:54] | I happen to know of just the place. Not exactly a cottage, more a villa. | 我知道有一处很合你意,不是农舍,可以说是别墅 |
[1:00:01] | Dear sir, I implore you … | 亲爱的先生,我恳求你… |
[1:00:04] | If you’d give me your card … | 如果你能给我名片 |
[1:00:07] | I fear we have no card, but George will write down the address. | 我忘了带名片,但乔治会把地址抄下来 |
[1:00:11] | Sir Harry Otway. It is in Surrey, a place called Summer Street. | 哈瑞奥瑞爵士,它是位于一个叫夏日街的地方 |
[1:00:17] | Summer Street! I’ve dreamed of Summer Street. | 夏日街!我一直梦想找到这地方 |
[1:00:22] | It will teach that snob Sir Harry a lesson. | 这一来可给那势利的哈瑞爵士一个教训 |
[1:00:25] | The classes should mix, there should be intermarriage. I believe in democracy. | 不必细分阶级,我相信民主 |
[1:00:31] | No, you don’t! You don’t know what the word means. | 你根本不知此字的意义 |
[1:00:35] | It isn’t fair! I’ve probably met them before. | 这不公平,我或许见过他 |
[1:00:38] | Perfectly fair if it punishes a snob. | 完全的公平,如果能惩罚势利之人 |
[1:00:41] | I blame you. You had no business to undo my work about the Miss Alans. | 西索,都怪你,你破坏了我为爱伦小姐做的事 |
[1:00:46] | You’ve scored off Sir Harry, but at my expense. | 你驳倒了哈利,可是代价却是我付出的 |
[1:00:51] | It was most disloyal of you. | 你太不忠诚了 |
[1:00:56] | Temper, Lucy, temper. Please! | 露西,控制一下脾气,拜托! |
[1:01:11] | – Hello? – Hello. | – 哈啰! – 哈啰! |
[1:01:13] | – I’ve brought someone to see you. – One minute. | – 我带某人来见你 – 我马上下来 |
[1:01:20] | Byron. Exactly. | 拜伦,没错 |
[1:01:25] | “A Shropshire Lad”. | 一个什罗浦夏青年 |
[1:01:30] | Never heard of it. | 没听过 |
[1:01:33] | “The Way of All Flesh”. | 光道 |
[1:01:37] | Never heard of it. | 没听过 |
[1:01:39] | Hello? George reads German. | 乔治读德文 |
[1:01:47] | I’m certain that’s old Emerson. What are those people doing? Hello! | 我确定那是老爱默森的字,他们在干什么? |
[1:01:53] | Wait on, Mr. Beebe. | 等一下,毕伯先生 |
[1:01:56] | – This is Mr. Honeychurch. – How do you do? | – 这是一位邻居,汉尼先生 – 你好! |
[1:01:59] | How do you do? Come in. | 你好!请进! |
[1:02:02] | Come and have a bathe! | 一起去洗个澡吧 |
[1:02:04] | I’d like that. | 好主意 |
[1:02:07] | What a conversational opening! “How do you do? Come and have a bathe.” | 这是我听过最有趣的开场白: “你好吗?一起来洗个澡” |
[1:02:12] | Emerson, this is Honeychurch. You remember his sister. | 爱默森,这是汉尼先生,你还记得他姐姐吧! |
[1:02:16] | Oh, yes. How do you do? Glad to see you. | 是的,很高兴见到你 |
[1:02:19] | Very glad to hear your sister is marrying. I’m sure she’ll be happy. | 很高兴听到你姐姐快结婚的消息,希望她能快乐 |
[1:02:26] | We know Mr. Vyse, too. He’s been very kind. | 我们也认识凡斯先生,他人很好 |
[1:02:31] | Go and bathe. It will do you good. Then all come back for some tea. | 乔治,去洗个澡,再回来喝茶 |
[1:02:36] | – Do you really want this bathe? – Yes, I’ve said so. | – 你想洗澡吗? – 要,我说过要 |
[1:02:49] | Bye, Emerson. | 再见,爱默森先生 |
[1:02:53] | Bring some milk and honey and, er, cakes. Cakes! | 带些牛奶,蜂蜜和…和点心 |
[1:02:59] | Yours is glorious country, Honeychurch! | 你这里实在棒极了,汉尼 |
[1:03:04] | As a matter of fact, coincidence is much rarer than we suppose. | 巧合实在太少见了 |
[1:03:09] | For example, on reflection, it’s not coincidental that you’re here now. | 比方说,你现在会在此并不是巧合 |
[1:03:15] | I have reflected. It’s fate. Everything is fate. | 我已尽力了,但命运难违 |
[1:03:18] | You’ve not reflected. Let me cross-examine you. | 你尚未尽全力,我来问你 |
[1:03:22] | Where did you meet Mr. Vyse? | 你在哪儿遇见凡斯先生的? |
[1:03:25] | – The National Gallery. – Looking at Italian art. | – 国立画廊 – 正在欣赏意大利作品时 |
[1:03:30] | You see? You talk of coincidence and fate. | 你谈到命运的巧合 |
[1:03:33] | You’re naturally drawn to things Italian, as are we and all our friends. | 你很自然将注意力集中在意大利,就如同我们和所有的朋友 |
[1:03:39] | That narrows the field immeasurably. | 这就缩小了无限的范围 |
[1:03:42] | It is fate, but call it Italy if it pleases you, Vicar. | 是命运,但如果你高兴,叫它意大利也无妨 |
[1:04:09] | Are you bathing, Mr. Beebe? | 你要洗吗?毕伯先生 |
[1:04:12] | – Don’t be shy! – Why not? | – 不要害臊 – 有何不可? |
[1:04:16] | Oh, it’s wonderful! Simply ripping. | 好棒!只是随波逐流 |
[1:04:22] | Hurry up, Emerson! | 快点,爱默森先生 |
[1:04:26] | – Come along, Mr. Beebe! – I may as well wash, too. | – 来呀,毕伯先生 – 我也洗 |
[1:04:42] | Here goes. | 来也! |
[1:05:28] | Race you round it! | 绕着跑一圈 |
[1:06:11] | You’ve gone too far! Really, I … | 你走得太远了 |
[1:06:16] | I have a boot! | 我有一双靴子 |
[1:06:22] | And some trousers … | 还有几条裤子… |
[1:06:42] | Graces alive! | 老天保佑! |
[1:06:48] | – Come this way immediately! – Who were those unfortunate people? | – 往这走,快 – 这些不幸的人是谁? |
[1:06:54] | This way, Mrs. Honeychurch. Follow me. | 往这走,汉尼太太,跟着我! |
[1:07:02] | Oh, dears. Look away! | 天啊!不要看 |
[1:07:07] | Poor Mr. Beebe, too! | 可怜的毕伯先生 |
[1:07:09] | You’re treading on me! | 小心,你踏到我了 |
[1:07:12] | It is you! Why not have a comfortable bath at home with hot and cold laid on? | 原来你也在这儿!为什么不在家洗澡? |
[1:07:18] | – Mother! – You’re in no position to argue. Come, Lucy. | -妈妈 – 不要解释,佛莱迪,露西,我们走! |
[1:07:23] | Oh, look! No, don’t look! Poor Mr. Beebe! | 看!不,不要看,可怜的毕伯! |
[1:07:34] | Poor Charlotte. | 可怜的夏绿蒂 |
[1:07:38] | Poor, poor Charlotte! | 可怜,可怜的夏绿蒂 |
[1:07:40] | Standard reaction to any letter from Cousin Charlotte. | 这是读夏绿蒂来信必有的反应 |
[1:07:43] | Poor, poor Charlotte! | 可怜的夏绿蒂 |
[1:07:47] | This is serious. | 这是很认真的 |
[1:07:49] | Her boiler is to be had out and the cistern cleaned and all kinds of to-doing. | 她的热水器被切断,浴室系统要清除,还有很多要做的事 |
[1:07:55] | I think we should ask her to stay. Give her a holiday while the plumbers finish. | 我认为该留她住下来,让她从水管工人那儿脱身 |
[1:08:02] | No! We’re squeezed to death with Freddy’s friend and Minnie Beebe. | 不,佛莱迪的朋友也要来 |
[1:08:07] | Freddy, must you? | 佛莱迪,别闹 |
[1:08:09] | The truth is, you don’t like Charlotte. | 其实,你不喜欢夏绿蒂 |
[1:08:13] | Well, she gets on my nerves. | 她让我觉得紧张 |
[1:08:16] | The time she met Cecil, she drove him quite frantic. | 当她在罗马见到西索时,她差点把他逼疯 |
[1:08:20] | So, please, don’t worry us this last summer. Spoil us by not asking her to come. | 拜托,这最后一个夏日,别让我们烦心,不要叫她来 |
[1:08:27] | Hear, hear. We vote no Miss Bartlett. | 听着,听着,我们不赞成巴特利小姐来 |
[1:08:33] | This isn’t very kind of you two. You have each other and poor Charlotte … | 你俩这样太不友善了,你们互相拥有,而可怜的夏绿蒂… |
[1:08:40] | – Again! Poor Charlotte. … has the water turned off and plumbers. | – 又来了,可怜的夏绿蒂…不但没水,还请水管工匠来修理 |
[1:08:50] | ∮Strike the concertina’s melancholy string ∮ | 弹着手风琴忧伤的弦 |
[1:08:54] | ∮Blow the spirit-stirring harp like anything ∮ | 吹奏着精神高昂的乐曲 |
[1:09:03] | ∮Let the piano’s martial blast ∮ | 让钢琴的音乐响起 |
[1:09:06] | ∮Rouse the echoes of the past ∮ | 引发过去的回响 |
[1:09:15] | ∮They played their next sonata, let me see ∮ | 然后他们弹奏鸣曲,再来呢? |
[1:09:19] | ∮Medulla oblongata, key of G … ∮ | 中心,圆形,G小调 |
[1:09:22] | However, we’re in E flat. | 换成E小调如何? |
[1:09:27] | – Wasn’t it any good? – It’s lovely, dear. | – 怎么回事?不好听吗? – 好听极了,亲爱的 |
[1:09:33] | ∮Then they began to sing ∮ | 然后他们开始唱 |
[1:09:34] | ∮That extremely lovely thing ∮ | 非常可爱的调子 |
[1:09:37] | ∮Scherzando ma non troppo, P, P, P∮ | 诙谐曲,三拍子 |
[1:09:41] | ∮ Scherzando ma non troppo, P, P, P ∮ | 诙谐曲,三拍子 |
[1:09:55] | Is anything the matter with Cecil? | 西索是不是看我不顺眼? |
[1:10:00] | Because otherwise, I cannot account for him. | 因为我无法再为他找任何藉口 |
[1:10:04] | Whenever I speak, he winces. | 我一说话,他就闪人 |
[1:10:07] | I see him, Lucy. It’s useless to contradict me. | 我亲眼看见的,露西,你顶撞我也无济于事 |
[1:10:11] | No doubt, I am not artistic nor literary nor intellectual. | 无可置疑,我并不是很有气质,也没学识,更非绝顶聪明 |
[1:10:18] | Your father bought the drawing room furniture, and we must put up with it. | 你父亲买了画具,而我们也尽量利用 |
[1:10:24] | Cecil doesn’t mean to be uncivil. | 西索并非故意无礼的 |
[1:10:27] | He explained. It’s ugly things that upset him. He’s not uncivil to people. | 他曾经解释过,是不美丽的事物使他如此,他对人并不粗野的 |
[1:10:34] | Is it a thing or a person when Freddy sings? | 那佛莱迪唱歌时,他是怎么回事? |
[1:10:38] | You can’t expect a really musical person to appreciate comic songs as we do. | 你不能要一个真正的音乐人来欣赏我们的打油诗 |
[1:10:43] | Must he sneer and spoil everyone’s pleasure? | 难道他一定要加以取笑,破坏大家的兴趣吗? |
[1:10:47] | – Go and dress, dear. – All right, Mother. | – 去休息吧!亲爱的 – 是的,妈 |
[1:11:04] | Sunday week, I want to ask George Emerson up for some tennis. | 星期天,我想请乔治来打网球 |
[1:11:10] | – Oh, no, Freddy … – Oh, he’s topping. He’s spiffing! | – 不,佛莱迪… – 他很行的,也很潇洒 |
[1:11:14] | George Emerson is simply ripping! | 乔治•爱默森很帅的! |
[1:11:33] | What a noise you’re making. Freddy, let Lucy go. | 你们怎么这么吵呢?佛莱迪,让露西走 |
[1:11:39] | Hook me behind. | 老小姐,可否帮我扣后面扣子? |
[1:11:52] | Need we have Charlotte? | 我们需要请夏绿蒂来吗? |
[1:11:54] | We needn’t. | 不需要 |
[1:11:58] | – And now Freddy wants to ask the Emersons. – Well, he needn’t. | – 现在佛莱迪又想请爱默森来 – 他不必 |
[1:12:04] | And you’re not pleased with Cecil. | 而你又不喜欢西索 |
[1:12:09] | Kiss me. | 亲亲我 |
[1:12:15] | Well, of course, if you want Charlotte to come, with her boiler and everything … | 当然了,如果你希望夏绿蒂来的话,既然她这么可怜 |
[1:12:22] | She’s been so kind to me. | 她对我又那么好 |
[1:12:25] | Kiss me again. | 再亲我一下 |
[1:12:39] | – Would you like it closed? – Oh, thank you. | – 你要关窗吗? – 谢谢你 |
[1:13:04] | – Thank you so much. – Pleasure. | – 非常谢谢你 – 不客气 |
[1:13:07] | Oh, porter! Could you … | 伙计!你能否… |
[1:13:23] | The ticket says Dorking. That was the last station. | 小姐,你得补票,这只能到前一站下车 |
[1:13:27] | How very vexing! I shall have to get a cab. | 好烦人,我需要叫小包车 |
[1:13:34] | Mr. Emerson. What are you doing here? | 爱默森先生,你怎么在这儿? |
[1:13:37] | My father lives here. I’ve come for the weekend. | 我爸住在这儿,我是来渡周末的 |
[1:13:41] | – Are you all right? – Oh, yes. | – 你还好吧? – 还好 |
[1:14:26] | Oh, Lucy, I met him at the station. | 露西,我在车站遇见他了 |
[1:14:30] | I had no idea. Oh, my poor Lucia! | 我不知他在这儿,可怜的露西 |
[1:14:38] | My dear Marian, what a stupid blunder. You’ll never forgive me. | 亲爱的马丽恩,多么愚昧的错误,你不会原谅我的 |
[1:14:45] | – Freddy, pay the cab. – No, I must. I absolutely insist. | – 佛莱迪,去付车资 – 不,让我来 |
[1:14:49] | Oh, how do you do, Mr. Vyse? | 你好吗?凡斯先生? |
[1:14:51] | – And Mr. Floyd, a friend of Freddy’s. – I insist I pay for my cab. | – 这是佛洛伊先生,佛莱迪之友 – 不,我坚持我来付 |
[1:14:57] | – And this is Minnie, Mr. Beebe’s niece. – Grant me that. | – 这是蜜尼,毕伯先生的侄女 – 让我来 |
[1:15:02] | – Here you are. – Thank you, sir. | – 这是车资 – 谢谢你,先生 |
[1:15:11] | I insist, absolutely. | 我坚持自己付 |
[1:15:13] | All right. Five shillings and a bob for the driver. | 如果你真的要付,共五先令,外加小费一先令 |
[1:15:16] | We all have our foibles, and mine is prompt settling of accounts. | 我就是不喜欢欠债 |
[1:15:22] | Does anyone have any change? | 谁有零钱? |
[1:15:29] | How much is … Who do I give the sovereign to? | 多少?这金币该给谁? |
[1:15:32] | – Toss for it, Honeychurch. – All right. | – 汉尼,掷铜板决定 – 好 |
[1:15:35] | No. I know I’m a spoilsport, but it would make me wretched. | 不要,我会觉得不好过 |
[1:15:40] | It would be robbing the one who lost. | 输的人不就吃亏吗? |
[1:15:42] | Freddy owes me 15 shillings, so it works out all right if you give the pound to me. | 佛莱迪还欠我十五先令,如果金币给我的话,一切都没事 |
[1:15:49] | Fifteen shillings to you? How so, Mr. Vyse? | 十五先令?为什么?凡斯先生 |
[1:15:53] | Because fifteen and five shillings make a pound. | 因为十五先令加上五先令是一镑 |
[1:15:58] | Why is Mr. Vyse taking the quid? No, thank you! | – 为什么金币要给凡斯先生? – 不,谢了 |
[1:16:01] | – Have some tea. – What about Mr. Floyd’s ten shi … | – 喝茶 – 那佛洛伊的十先令呢? |
[1:16:05] | And why doesn’t she pay the bob for the driver? | 为什么这位女士不付司机的小费呢? |
[1:16:10] | A shilling for the driver. Of course. How kind of you to remind me. | 这是司机的一先令,谢谢你提醒我 |
[1:16:16] | Does anyone have change for half a crown? | 有没有人能找开五先令? |
[1:16:19] | Cecil, give that sovereign to me. | 西索,那金币给我 |
[1:16:21] | Mary can change it, and we’ll start from the beginning. | 我找玛丽换零钱,然后我们再从头来算 |
[1:16:26] | Oh, dear. I am sorry. What a nuisance I am! | 天啊,很抱歉,我真惹人厌 |
[1:16:34] | Poor Charlotte! | 可怜的夏绿蒂 |
[1:16:40] | Mary, have you got any change? | 玛丽,你有零钱吗? |
[1:16:44] | For a sovereign. | 一镑? |
[1:16:51] | Have you told him about him? | 你有告诉他关于他的事吗? |
[1:16:53] | No, I haven’t, nor anyone. I promised you I shouldn’t. | 没,我谁也没讲,我说过我不会讲 |
[1:16:57] | Here’s your money. It’s all shillings except two half crowns. | 这是你的钱 全部换成先令了 |
[1:17:02] | You can settle your debt nicely now. | 你可以还债了 |
[1:17:05] | How dreadful. How more than dreadful if Mr. Vyse should hear from another source. | 如果凡斯先生从别地方听到会多可怕 |
[1:17:11] | There is no other source. | 没有其他地方 |
[1:17:14] | – George would tell Mr. Emerson. – He would tell no one. | – 乔治会告诉爱默森先生 – 他不会,他谁也不会说 |
[1:17:18] | – How do you know? – Because I know. Shall we go out? | – 你怎么知道? – 我就是知道,我们出去好吗? |
[1:17:23] | Dear, a moment. We may not have this chance again. Have you spoken to him yet? | 亲爱的,等一下,我们也许没机会再谈,你跟他说过话吗? |
[1:17:29] | I have seen him. | 我见过他 |
[1:17:34] | Stop thinking he admires me or any nonsense of that sort. He doesn’t. Not one straw. | 你别再认为他喜欢我,根本没这回事 |
[1:17:40] | Freddy, stop it! | 佛莱迪,住手 |
[1:17:43] | No, poor Minnie. No, not me. Get off! | 可怜的蜜尼,不要闹 |
[1:18:07] | Lucy! Lucy! What’s that book? | 露西!露西,那是什么书? |
[1:18:11] | Who’s been leaving books out to spoil? | 是谁把书丢在那里? |
[1:18:14] | – It’s only a library book of Cecil’s. – Well, pick it up. | – 是西索从图书馆借来的书 – 捡起来 |
[1:18:29] | It’s a special collection. I forget what for, but I beg, | 那是珍藏品,我忘了为什么,但是我请求 |
[1:18:33] | no vulgar clinking ha’pennies in the plate. | 不准有半点粗鲁碰撞这盘子 |
[1:18:36] | Make sure Minnie has a sixpence. Where is the child? | 记得要给蜜尼六便士,那小鬼呢? |
[1:18:40] | Dear, I’m so sorry, I don’t seem to have any small change. Could you … | 亲爱的马丽恩,很抱歉,我没有零钱,你能… |
[1:18:45] | Yes, easily. Gracious, how smart you look! What a lovely frock. | 慢慢说,我的天,好漂亮的衣服 |
[1:18:53] | Go on. | 出发吧,巴威尔 |
[1:18:55] | Goodbye. Be good. | 再见,一切顺利 |
[1:19:15] | “‘No place on earth as glorious as this where love is spoken face to face. | 世界上再没有更耀眼的地方胜过他们面对面站着的地方 |
[1:19:20] | “So he cried, ‘Utter rapture! The silvered twilight, the wraith-like swallows, | 他在她身边狂喊着,”银色般的晨光,回旋的燕子” |
[1:19:26] | “‘the perfume of the cooling earth all fill me with inutterable and inestimable bliss.’ | “寂静大地的香气都充塞我心中,那无以用言语衡量的幸福” |
[1:19:33] | “And so, locked in mortal combat, they brought to life the eternal … | 宛如殊死战的… |
[1:19:40] | “They brought to life the eternal battle where men stand face to face | “…永恒的战场,他们面对面的站着” |
[1:19:45] | “to slowly gird, to bravely fight, to stoutly dare …” | “…慢慢地包围,勇敢地战斗,坚决的挑战…” |
[1:19:51] | Listen, Lucy. Three split infinitives. | 听着,露西,三比二 |
[1:19:55] | “And then the cry was heard, ‘Once more into the breach, my friends.”‘ | 再一次进入耳内,我的朋友 |
[1:20:00] | Victory, Mr. Floyd! | 胜利,佛洛伊先生 |
[1:20:03] | “The scene is set in Florence. The sunset. The sunset of Italy.” | 背景是在佛罗伦斯,日落,意大利的落日 |
[1:20:11] | – Did you mind losing? – Of course. | – 你介意失败吗? – 我当然介意 |
[1:20:14] | You’re not such a splendid player. The light was in my eyes. | 你打得不是那么好,阳光照得我看不清楚 |
[1:20:19] | I never said I was. | 我没说我打得好 |
[1:20:22] | “Under Orcagna’s Loggia, the Loggia de Lanzi, as we call it now …” | 在奥尔卡尼亚的长廊下,我有时称之为罗吉亚的长廊 |
[1:20:28] | What’s the title? | 书名是什么? |
[1:20:30] | – Under a Loggia by Eleanor Lavish. – Eleanor Lavish! | – “长廊下”作者是伊兰诺•赖维虚 – 伊兰诺•赖维虚 |
[1:20:34] | My goodness! Do you remember her, Mr. Emerson? | 天啊!记得她吗?爱默森先生? |
[1:20:38] | – Of course. – No wonder the novel’s so bad. | – 当然 – 难道这么差劲 |
[1:20:41] | Still, one ought to read it, I suppose. | 我想既然认识她,还是该念一下 |
[1:20:44] | – There’s an absurd account of a view. – Do read it. | – 有一幕很荒谬,我想跳过 – 念来听听 |
[1:20:50] | Do you like our view, Mr. Emerson? | 你认为我们的风景如何?爱默森? |
[1:20:52] | My father says there’s only one perfect view, | 我父亲说,”唯一完美的风景…” |
[1:20:55] | the view of the sky over our heads. | “…就是我们头上的蓝天” |
[1:21:00] | I expect your father has been reading Dante. | 我希望你父亲念过但丁的文章 |
[1:21:04] | – Do read it. – Not while Mr. Emerson is entertaining us. | – 念一下 – 我不在爱默森先生取悦我们时念 |
[1:21:09] | No, do. Nothing’s funnier than silly things read aloud. | 不,不要,念!再没有比大声念坏作品更好笑的了 |
[1:21:14] | Mr. Emerson finds us frivolous. Look for tennis balls, Mr. Emerson. | 爱默森先生如果觉得无趣,去打球吧! |
[1:21:18] | – Do I have to? – No, of course not. | – 我一定得去吗? – 不,当然不 |
[1:21:22] | It’s in chapter two. Find me chapter two. | 第二章,翻到第二章 |
[1:21:35] | – Give it here. – No, it’s the silliest thing. | – 给我 – 不要,真的好菜 |
[1:21:38] | Come on. | 来吧! |
[1:21:40] | – Cecil! – Thank you. | – 西索 – 谢了 |
[1:21:44] | A-ha. | 啊哈 |
[1:21:46] | “Afar off, the towers of Florence. | 离佛罗伦斯塔遥远之处 |
[1:21:49] | “And she wandered as though in a dream through the wavering sea of barley… | “她似在梦中漫游着,在大麦田波浪般的金海中…” |
[1:21:54] | “…touched with crimson stains of poppies… | “…抚触着深红色的罂粟花…” |
[1:21:58] | “All unobserved, he came to her.” Isn’t it immortal? | “全然不知他已来到她身边”,这真是不朽的文笔啊! |
[1:22:03] | “There came from his lips no wordy protestations such as formal lovers use. | “自他唇间流露出无声的宣言,就如同所有恋爱中之男女” |
[1:22:08] | “No eloquence was his, nor did he need it. He simply enfolded her in his manly arms …” | “此时他无声胜有声,紧紧地将她拥入他强壮的怀抱里” |
[1:22:15] | No, this isn’t the bit. It’s further on. | 下面还有更精彩的呢 |
[1:22:18] | – Shall we go in to tea? – By all means. | – 我们进去喝茶好吗? – 当然好 |
[1:22:46] | Excuse me. | 借过 |
[1:22:56] | Charlotte, a minute. | 夏绿蒂,借一分钟 |
[1:23:00] | Cecil, ask Mary for sandwiches. I’ll be with you in a moment. | 西索,请玛丽弄些三明治,我很快就过去 |
[1:23:06] | Do you know Miss Lavish’s novel? | 你知道在赖维虚小姐书中有一幕 |
[1:23:09] | There’s a scene in it, the hero and heroine make love. Do you know about that? | 男主角和女主角相爱,你知道这件事吗? |
[1:23:16] | Do you know about it? | 你知道这件事吗? |
[1:23:19] | They’re on a hillside and Florence is in the distance. | 他们在佛罗伦斯郊外的山边 |
[1:23:23] | There are poppies and a barley field. | 有罂粟花和大麦田 |
[1:23:27] | It can’t be coincidence. How could you tell her? | 我不信这是巧合,夏绿蒂,你怎么能告诉她? |
[1:23:31] | Oh, Lucy! Oh, dearest girl! She hasn’t put that in her novel? | 露西!老天!她没将这写入小说中吧? |
[1:23:40] | Never, never more shall Eleanor Lavish be a friend of mine. | 那么,就再也…伊兰诺•赖维虚就再也不是我的朋友了 |
[1:23:45] | So you did tell. Why? When you wouldn’t even let me tell Mother? | 看来你的确告诉她这件事,为什么?你甚至不让我告诉妈 |
[1:23:54] | Cecil read it to me. | 西索念这段给我听 |
[1:23:57] | And that man insulted me again behind Cecil’s back. | 那人则乘机背着西索再度侵犯我 |
[1:24:01] | Why did you tell her? What made you? | 你为何要告诉她? |
[1:24:08] | Even if you forgive me, I shall never forgive myself till my dying day. | 即使你原谅我,我即使到死也无法原谅自己 |
[1:24:18] | Go and call him. | 去叫他来 |
[1:24:21] | – Call Mr. Vyse? – No. The other one. | – 叫凡斯先生? – 不,另外那个 |
[1:24:27] | I’ll deal with him myself. | 这次我得亲自出面处理 |
[1:24:38] | You missed a good match, Miss Bartlett. | 你错过了一场好球赛,巴特利小姐 |
[1:24:56] | Charlotte, please stay. | 夏绿蒂,请留下 |
[1:25:00] | Mr. Emerson, leave this house and don’t come back as long as I’m here. | 爱默森先生,当我还住这儿时,请离得远远的 |
[1:25:05] | – I can’t. – No discussion. | – 我做不到 – 没有商量的余地 |
[1:25:09] | Go, please. I don’t want to call in Mr. Vyse. | 请走!我不想叫凡斯先生来 |
[1:25:14] | You mean to marry that man? | 你要嫁给那人? |
[1:25:16] | – You’re being ridiculous. – I’d have held back if Cecil was different. | – 你不要无礼取闹 – 如果西索不是那种人,我会回心转意的 |
[1:25:24] | But he’s the sort who can’t know anyone intimately, least of all a woman. | 但他那种人无法和女人建立亲密关系 |
[1:25:29] | He doesn’t know what a woman is. | 他不了解什么是女人 |
[1:25:32] | He wants you for a possession, to look at like a painting or an ivory box. | 他要你只为了满足占有欲,就好像是拥有一幅画或珠宝盒 |
[1:25:38] | Something to own and to display. | 把你当成展示的东西 |
[1:25:41] | He doesn’t want you to be real, to think and to live. He doesn’t love you. | 他不要真实的你,不让你有思想和生命,他根本不爱你 |
[1:25:47] | But I love you. I want you to have your own thoughts and ideas, | 但是我爱你,我要的是真正的你,有思想感觉的你 |
[1:25:51] | even when I hold you in my arms. | 甚至当我拥你入怀时 |
[1:25:55] | Miss Bartlett, you wouldn’t stop us, not if you understood. | 巴特利小姐,如果你明白,请别再阻止我们 |
[1:25:59] | It’s our last chance. | 这是我们最后的机会了 |
[1:26:04] | Do you understand how lucky people are to find what’s right for them? | 你可知我们有多幸运,能发现真正中意的人? |
[1:26:09] | It’s such a blessing, don’t you see? | 这是件可贺可喜之事啊! |
[1:26:12] | And the fact I love Cecil and shall be his wife shortly is of no importance? | 但事实上,我爱的是西索,就快嫁给他了,这些小事都不再重要 |
[1:26:18] | This tremendous thing has happened between us and it means … | 我们之间发生了这么大的事 |
[1:26:23] | It means nothing must hinder us ever again. | 这代表没有人能再阻扰我们 |
[1:26:26] | You have to understand that. | 你得明白这一点 |
[1:26:30] | – I’ve no idea what you mean. – Everyone must understand. | – 我不知道你在说什么 – 每个人都应该明白 |
[1:26:35] | And you must leave. | 你必须离开 |
[1:26:38] | It was wrong of me to listen to you. | 听你的话是我的错误 |
[1:26:41] | But you haven’t been listening. If you had, you would know! | 你根本没听进去,否则你该明白的 |
[1:26:46] | – Leave at once. Now. – Lucy … | – 快走吧! – 露西! |
[1:26:48] | – No, I will not listen to one more word. – My dears, do stop. | – 我不要再多听一个字 – 亲爱的,别这样 |
[1:26:53] | Haven’t you done enough? Don’t interfere again. | 你做的还不够吗?别再干涉了 |
[1:26:58] | – It’s useless. Let me go, Miss Bartlett. – Let Mr. Emerson go, Charlotte. | – 没用的,让我走吧 – 让他走,夏绿蒂 |
[1:27:12] | – I shall never forgive myself. – You always say that, | – 我永远都不会原谅自己的 – 你总是这么说 |
[1:27:15] | but you always do forgive yourself. | 但你永远都会原谅自己的 |
[1:27:25] | Why does Italy make lady novelists reach such summits of absurdity? | 意大利为什么让女性作者写出如此荒诞的作品? |
[1:27:31] | Lucy, it’s still light enough for another set. | 露西,天还没黑,还可再打一局 |
[1:27:35] | – Mr. Emerson has had to go. – What a nuisance. | – 爱默森先生有事先走了 – 真无趣 |
[1:27:38] | I say, Cecil, do play, there’s a good chap. Just this once. It’s Floyd’s last day. | 西索来打吧!今天是佛洛伊的最后一天 |
[1:27:46] | Freddy, as you remarked this morning, some chaps are good for nothing but books. | 佛莱迪,你今早说得好,”有些人就只知道读书” |
[1:27:52] | I plead guilty to being such a chap. | 我承认我就是这种人 |
[1:28:09] | Because I wouldn’t play tennis? | 就因为我不肯陪佛莱迪打网球? |
[1:28:15] | I never do play tennis. I never could. | 我从未打过网球,我不会打啊 |
[1:28:19] | Forget tennis. It was just the last straw. | 算了,这只是导火线 |
[1:28:22] | I’m sorry, I can’t marry you. One day you’ll be glad I said so. | 抱歉,我不能嫁给你,有一天你会感激我的 |
[1:28:27] | – We’re too different. – But I … | – 我们太截然不同了 – 但是我… |
[1:28:32] | I love you. | 我爱你啊 |
[1:28:36] | And I did think you loved me. | 我认为你也爱我 |
[1:28:40] | I did not. | 我不! |
[1:28:44] | I thought I did at first. I’m sorry. | 我原来也以为我爱你,抱歉 |
[1:28:51] | As for your loving me, you don’t, not really. | 至于你爱我,其实你不是真爱我 |
[1:28:56] | You don’t. It’s only as something else. | 你不爱我的! |
[1:29:00] | As something you own. A painting, a Leonardo. | 你把我当你拥有的东西,一幅画,一个珍藏品 |
[1:29:06] | I don’t want to be a Leonardo, I want to be myself. | 我不想成为收藏品,我要当我自己 |
[1:29:11] | Oh, let’s not go on now. | 不能再说了 |
[1:29:13] | I’ll only say things that will make me unhappy afterwards. | 再说就不好听了 |
[1:29:35] | You don’t love me, evidently. | 很显然,你不爱我 |
[1:29:39] | I dare say you’re right not to … | 你有权如此 |
[1:29:43] | … but it would help a little, hurt a little less, if I knew why. | 但如果我知道原因,我会好过些 |
[1:29:49] | Because … | 因为… |
[1:29:53] | … you can’t know anyone intimately, least of all a woman. | 你不用心去了解别人,尤其女人 |
[1:29:58] | I don’t mean exactly that, but you will go on asking questions. | 也不完全是这个意思,但你不停地发问 |
[1:30:04] | You wrap yourself up in art, and want to wrap me up, | 你自己封闭不说,也要把我封闭起来 |
[1:30:07] | so I’m breaking it off. | 所以我才要退婚 |
[1:30:11] | It’s true. | 没错 |
[1:30:14] | True, on the whole. | 完全都没错 |
[1:30:18] | You’re so different tonight, like a different person speaking with a new voice. | 你今晚全然不同,仿佛完全变成另一个人了 |
[1:30:24] | What do you mean? If you think I love someone else, you’re mistaken. | 此话怎讲?如果你认为我爱上别人,那你就错了 |
[1:30:30] | Of course I don’t. I only meant that … | 我没这意思 |
[1:30:33] | There was a force in you I hadn’t known of up to now. | 我只觉得你有股我不知道的力量在驱使你 |
[1:30:40] | If a girl breaks off her engagement, everyone thinks, “Oh, she has someone else.” | 如果一个女孩退婚,那大家就会认为她一定另结新欢 |
[1:30:46] | It’s disgusting, brutal! | 这种想法真是迂腐 |
[1:30:50] | Forgive me if I say stupid things. My brain has gone to pieces. | 若我有失言,请你原谅,我已失去理智 |
[1:30:55] | I think we’d better go to bed, if you don’t mind. | 我们去睡吧 |
[1:31:07] | Let me do that for you. | 让我效劳吧 |
[1:31:15] | I must actually thank you for what you’ve done. | 我要感谢你所做的一切 |
[1:31:22] | For showing me what I really am. | 让我了解我的为人 |
[1:31:36] | I admire your courage. | 我钦佩你的勇气 |
[1:31:43] | Will you shake hands? | 你愿意和我握手吗? |
[1:31:46] | Of course I will, Cecil. | 当然愿意 |
[1:31:50] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:31:51] | I’m sorry about it. | 我很抱歉 |
[1:31:57] | Thank you for taking it so well. | 谢谢你没有为难我 |
[1:32:32] | Since the days are chillier now and we’ve not, alas, a home of our own, | 天气渐渐凉了,而我们尚未找到栖身处所 |
[1:32:37] | my sister feels we might benefit by travel to a warmer clime. | 我妹妹建议到暖和的地方去玩 |
[1:32:42] | The doctor has ordered her special bread, but we can take that with us. | 医生开给她有助消化的面包,我们可以带在路上吃 |
[1:32:48] | It is only getting first into a steamer and then a train. | 先是坐船,再转火车 |
[1:32:56] | – Hello. So you’re off, Mr. Vyse? – Yes. | – 你好,凡斯先生 – 你好 |
[1:33:00] | I’ve come to show Miss Honeychurch a letter from our friends the Miss Alans. | 我正要把爱伦小姐的信送去给汉尼小姐,让我读一部分给你听 |
[1:33:07] | “Since Florence did my sister so much good, we think we should try Athens this winter.” | 佛罗伦萨很适合我妹妹,我们想今年冬天到雅典一游 |
[1:33:14] | Isn’t it wonderful? The Parthenon, the frieze of Phydias. | 真有情调,那是个好地方 |
[1:33:20] | – Have you ever met these Miss Alans? – Never. | – 你见过爱伦小姐吗? – 没见过 |
[1:33:23] | Then you cannot appreciate the romance of this visit. | 那你无法享受到希腊之行的情趣 |
[1:33:27] | I’ve never been myself, nor do I have any plans to go. | 我从未去过希腊 |
[1:33:31] | Altogether too big for our little lot, don’t you agree? Got any matches? | 也没打算要去,那地方太大,有火柴吗? |
[1:33:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:33:38] | You’re quite right. Greece is not for our little lot. | 你说得很对,希腊不适合我们 |
[1:33:43] | – Goodbye. – Goodbye. | – 再见 – 再见 |
[1:33:54] | Mr. Beebe! Matches! | 毕伯先生,火柴 |
[1:33:58] | Matches! | 火柴 |
[1:34:02] | Cecil’s hard hit. Lucy won’t marry him. | 西索很伤心,露西不愿嫁给他 |
[1:34:04] | – When? – Late last night. I must go. | – 什么时候的事? – 昨晚,我得走了 |
[1:34:08] | – Will they want me to go down? – Yes. Goodbye. | – 我现在去你家无妨吗? – 去啊,没关系 |
[1:34:16] | All right, Powell. | 走吧,波威 |
[1:34:26] | No, Charlotte. Not the scissors, not when my hands are full. | 夏绿蒂,别拿剪刀给我,我手上已经满了 |
[1:34:31] | – Good afternoon. – How do you do, Mr. Beebe? | – 下午好 – 你好,毕伯先生 |
[1:34:34] | – Good gracious! What a mess things are! – Yes. | – 这里一团乱糟糟的 – 是啊 |
[1:34:38] | Everyone’s so horrid today, Uncle Arthur. Let’s go out to tea. | 今天大家都很怪,叔叔,我们到外面去喝茶吧 |
[1:34:43] | Good idea. Get your hat and coat and I’ll take you. | 好主意,我带你去 |
[1:34:48] | I’ll take Minnie to the Beehive Tavern. Care to join us, Miss Bartlett? | 我要带蜜尼到毕海小馆去,一起去吧,巴特列小姐 |
[1:34:52] | Oh, yes, Charlotte! I don’t mind. | 太好了,夏绿蒂!我不介意 |
[1:34:56] | No. You have no one to help. My services are better than nothing. | 不,那就没人帮你忙了,我多少可以帮点小忙 |
[1:35:02] | Oh, dear, Marian. I’m so sorry. | 弄伤了吗?…抱歉! |
[1:35:17] | A delightful letter from the Miss Alans. They’re going to Greece. I’ll read you some. | 这是爱伦小姐来的信,她们计划一游希腊,我念给你听听 |
[1:35:28] | “Dear Mr. Beebe, I doubt we shall go any further than Athens, | “亲爱的毕伯先生,我们应该只会去雅典” |
[1:35:34] | “but, if you know of a good pensione in Constantinople, we should be so grateful.” | “但如果你知道土耳其有哪里可住,请告知,我们会感激你的” |
[1:35:41] | Isn’t that delightful? I do believe they’ll end by going round the world. | 不错吧,她们终究会环游世界的 |
[1:35:47] | Delightful. | 不错 |
[1:35:51] | Miss Honeychurch, your brother has told me. | 你弟弟告诉我了 |
[1:35:57] | – Did he? – I needn’t say it will go no further. | – 是吗? – 我没想到会这样 |
[1:36:01] | Mother … Charlotte … Cecil … Freddy … you … | 母亲,夏绿蒂 西索,佛莱迪,你 |
[1:36:11] | If I may say so, I’m certain you’ve done the right thing. | 容我直说,你这样做是对的 |
[1:36:15] | Tell me more of the Miss Alans. How splendid of them to go abroad. | 多谈谈爱伦小姐的事,他们能出国真好 |
[1:36:19] | I want them to start from Venice and then go by cargo steamer down the Illyrian coast. | 我叫他们从威尼斯出发,坐船到伊利里亚海岸 |
[1:36:26] | – Did Freddy say he’d drive straight back? – No, he didn’t. | – 佛莱迪说他马上会回来吗? – 他没说 |
[1:36:31] | I hope he won’t gossip. | 我希望他不会到处乱说 |
[1:36:33] | How splendid of them to go. I wish they’d take me. | 他们能出国真棒,真希望我也能同行 |
[1:36:37] | Would your mother spare you? | 你母亲会答应吗? |
[1:36:40] | She must. I simply must go away. | 她一定会答应,我得离开这里 |
[1:36:43] | I have to. Don’t you see I have to go away? | 我必须走,你不明白吗? |
[1:36:46] | Charlotte, the Miss Alans are going to Constantinople. | 夏绿蒂,很有情调吧?爱伦小姐要去康士炭丁堡 |
[1:36:50] | No, only to Athens. | 不,只是去雅典 |
[1:36:52] | I’ve longed to go to Constantinople … Athens, I mean. | 我一直想去康士炭丁堡…我是指雅典 |
[1:36:56] | In lieu of Constantinople, could not we lure you to tea at the Beehive? | 我们可以请你们去喝茶吗? |
[1:37:01] | – No, thank you. – Oh, well, Minnie, you and I must eat alone. | – 不了,谢谢 – 好吧,蜜尼,只好我们两个人去了 |
[1:37:07] | – Good afternoon. – Good afternoon, Mr. Beebe. | – 下午好 – 下午好,毕伯先生 |
[1:37:16] | – You must persuade Mother. – What? | – 你一定要帮我说服母亲 – 什么? |
[1:37:19] | Don’t you see? I must go somewhere. Anywhere! | 我一定得离开此地 |
[1:37:24] | I must get away, far, before it’s known. | 在事情传开前,我得先离开 |
[1:37:28] | – What? – That I’ve broken off my engagement. | – 什么事? – 我退婚的事啊! |
[1:37:31] | – He mustn’t get any ideas. – You mean Mr. Emerson? | – 不能让他知道 – 你是说爱默森先生 |
[1:37:35] | Charlotte, how slow you are. | 你真是迟钝 |
[1:37:38] | There must be no gossip at Summer Street, but to go as far as Greece! | 当然要避开这里的闲言闲语,但是有必要到希腊去吗? |
[1:37:43] | I thought you’d be the first to go to Mother and say Lucy must go to Greece. | 夏绿蒂,你一定得帮我,你该马上建议我妈让我去希腊 |
[1:37:49] | Lucy, are you absolutely sure? I only want to do what is right for you. | 你确定要去希腊吗? |
[1:37:54] | I’m telling you what’s right. Don’t argue, do it! | 别和我争,照我的话去做吧 |
[1:37:58] | All right. | 好吧 |
[1:38:02] | Thank you, Freddy. | 谢谢,佛莱迪 |
[1:38:06] | Why does she look like that? | 她为何那种神情? |
[1:38:09] | – Like what? – Like Charlotte Bartlett. | – 什么神情? – 夏绿蒂的神情 |
[1:38:13] | Because she is Charlotte Bartlett. | 因为她是夏绿蒂 |
[1:38:37] | The tune’s fine, but the words are rotten. | 调子还可以,但词太老掉牙了 |
[1:38:43] | – Marian? – Oh, Charlotte! | – 马丽安 – 夏绿蒂 |
[1:38:45] | – Lucy has a plan. – Isn’t this a tragedy? | – 露西有个计划 – 这不是一出悲剧吧? |
[1:38:49] | I get one thing tied up and another thing falls over. | 我这个还没绑好,另一个又松了 |
[1:38:53] | – The Misses Alan are going to Greece. – Good luck to them. | – 爱伦小姐要去希腊 – 祝她们愉快 |
[1:38:58] | Lucy would like to join them as far as Athens. | 露西也想和她们去雅典 |
[1:39:01] | – She’d what? – And on to Delphi if the roads are safe. | – 什么? – 如果路况还好,就会去达尔非 |
[1:39:42] | You can take all those, but leave me Thoreau till I go. I need him by me now. | 你可以把这些都带走,但把这个留下给我,我现在需要它 |
[1:39:50] | It’s an ugly house. We never liked it. | 这房子太糟,我们从不喜欢它 |
[1:39:58] | I mustn’t miss the train. The removers can do the rest. | 我不能误了火车,搬运工可以处理剩下的东西 |
[1:40:02] | Oh, I … | 我… |
[1:40:04] | No. I don’t want you straining your back. | 我不要你伤了背 |
[1:40:09] | I won’t be down at the weekend. There’s no point. | 周末我不来了,没有必要 |
[1:40:14] | I’ll come to take you back to town the week after. | 下周我再来接你 |
[1:40:48] | Paper soap is a great help towards freshening up one’s face on a train. | 在火车上可用湿纸巾来擦脸 |
[1:40:53] | But you know about these matters, and you have Mr. Vyse to help you. | 你知道这很重要,凡斯先生可以帮你 |
[1:40:59] | A gentleman is such a standby. | 他是个绅士 |
[1:41:02] | It’s so good of Mr. Vyse to spare you. | 凡斯先生愿肯让你来,真是太好了 |
[1:41:05] | Perhaps he will join you later. | 也许过些时候他会加入你 |
[1:41:08] | – Or does work keep him in London? – We shall meet him when he sees you off. | – 他是不是因工作走不开? – 他来送你时,我们该见见他 |
[1:41:14] | No one will see Lucy off. She doesn’t like it. | 没人送她,露西不喜欢送行 |
[1:41:17] | Really? | 真的? |
[1:41:20] | But, in this case … | 我该想到的… |
[1:41:22] | – You aren’t going? – Yes, we’ve a train to catch. | – 汉尼太太,你要走了吗? – 是的,我们得去赶火车 |
[1:41:26] | – It’s been such a pleasure to meet you. – We will write you often | – 幸会 – 我们会常写信给你 |
[1:41:31] | and send pretty cards from every place. | 把各地的风景卡片寄回来 |
[1:41:35] | – Thank you so much for taking her. – Bye-bye. | – 非常感谢你谈起她 – 再见 |
[1:41:42] | Well, we got through that time. | 总算过关了 |
[1:41:44] | Yes, and were seen through, which is most unpleasant. | 也见到最不愉快的场面了 |
[1:41:49] | I cannot understand this hole and corner business. | 我永远不明白这件事 |
[1:41:53] | You got rid of Cecil, well and good. | 你把西索赶走,干净利落 |
[1:41:58] | I’m thankful. Why not announce it? | 为何不能公开声明? |
[1:42:01] | – I promised. It’s only for a few days. – Victoria Station. | – 我说过离开伦敦以前不能说 – 维多利亚车站 |
[1:42:05] | I couldn’t help thinking that our dear Lucy did not … No. | 我想不通,露西没有… |
[1:42:11] | I wish you’d finish your sentences. You’re getting worse. | 你最好练习把话说完 |
[1:42:17] | Did not look like a bride-to-be. | 她看来不像是准新娘 |
[1:42:21] | How should one look? According to your great experience in these matters. | 根据你丰富的经验,准新娘该怎样? |
[1:42:27] | I can’t say exactly. Only she lacked something. | 我说不上来,她少了什么东西 |
[1:42:32] | And, if you want to know, Teresa, she lacked radiance. | 她少了…喜悦 |
[1:42:53] | – Miss Bartlett. – Mr. Beebe. | – 巴特列小姐 – 毕伯先生 |
[1:42:56] | – What is happening to your neighbors? – They’re moving. | – 你的邻居发生了什么事? – 他们正在搬家 |
[1:43:00] | Old Mr. Emerson’s rheumatism is back, and George thinks it’s too far. | 老爱默森先生的风湿又犯了,乔治认为距离太远了 |
[1:43:05] | Mr. Emerson is avoiding the removers inside. | 爱默森先生正在我这里 |
[1:43:07] | Might I impose and wait here for Mrs. Honeychurch? | 我可以在此等汉尼太太吗? |
[1:43:11] | By all means. I’m afraid you must excuse me. | 可以,但是你得原谅我不陪你了 |
[1:43:18] | Mr. Emerson, Miss Bartlett, excuse me. | 爱默森先生,巴特列小姐,我失陪了 |
[1:43:22] | Oh, please. | 请便 |
[1:43:23] | I am sorry that the house has brought on your rheumatism. | 很遗憾你因病必须搬家,爱默森先生 |
[1:43:27] | It’s not the rheumatism, it’s my boy. | 不是的,是因为我孩子 |
[1:43:32] | George is so sorry. | 乔治很难过 |
[1:43:34] | I cannot blame him, but I wish he’d told me about it first. | 我不能责怪他,但他应该先告诉我的 |
[1:43:39] | – He never told you what happened in Italy? – Not a word. | – 他从没告诉你在意大利的事 – 一个字也没提 |
[1:43:45] | No. Lucy said he wouldn’t. | 露西说过他不会说的 |
[1:43:48] | I was only told last Sunday. | 我是上星期天才知道的 |
[1:43:50] | – What were you told? – That he loves her. | – 知道什么? – 他爱上她了 |
[1:43:56] | Won’t you sit down? | 请坐 |
[1:43:59] | I think I hear the carriage. | 我听到车来了 |
[1:44:01] | It would be discourteous to keep my cousin waiting. | 不好意思让我表妹等我 |
[1:44:05] | There isn’t any carriage. | 车子还没来 |
[1:44:08] | Sit down, my dear. | 你请坐吧 |
[1:44:19] | Everyone’s been lying, except George. | 除了乔治,每个人都在说谎 |
[1:44:23] | And now here’s Miss Honeychurch marrying Mr. Vyse in January … | 汉尼小姐一月就要嫁给凡斯 |
[1:44:28] | She has broken off her engagement. | 她已经退婚了 |
[1:44:31] | It was all done with great tact and discretion, naturally. | 都已处理好了 |
[1:44:35] | And, for the time being, we would like to keep it quiet. | 目前,我们不想张扬出去 |
[1:44:40] | There’s a time for keeping quiet and there’s a time for speaking out. | 我们应该因时制宜 |
[1:44:47] | Now, you don’t hear any carriage. | 车子还没来 |
[1:44:49] | Why don’t you sit back, make yourself more comfortable? Take this. | 你好好地坐着吧,别客气 |
[1:44:55] | There. You look much better. | 这个给你,这样好多了 |
[1:44:59] | So she’s not marrying Mr. Vyse? | 她…不嫁给凡斯了? |
[1:45:05] | Why? Why Greece? | 为什么?为何去希腊? |
[1:45:09] | Why rush off to the ends of the earth? | 为何要到那么远的地方? |
[1:45:13] | You’re tired of your home. You’re tired of Windy Corner. | 你厌倦家了,厌倦目前的生活 |
[1:45:18] | And you’re tired of Freddy and me. | 也厌倦我和佛莱迪了 |
[1:45:22] | Of course I’m not tired of Windy Corner, but, as we’re talking about it, | 我当然不厌倦,说到这里 |
[1:45:27] | I shall want to come up to London more. | 将来我想多到伦敦走走 |
[1:45:31] | I might even share a flat for a little with some other girl. | 也许和别的女孩一起租间公寓 |
[1:45:36] | You see, I come into my money next year. | 我明年就可以赚钱了 |
[1:45:40] | To mess about with typewriters and latchkeys and call it work. | 打打字,管管衣帽 这也叫工作 |
[1:45:46] | – Perhaps I spoke hastily. – Oh, goodness! | – 也许我说得太早了 – 天呐 |
[1:45:49] | You remind me of Charlotte Bartlett! | 你倒使我想起夏绿蒂了 |
[1:45:52] | – Charlotte? – Charlotte to a T. | – 夏绿蒂? – 夏绿蒂,就是她 |
[1:45:59] | I don’t know what you mean. We are not the least alike. | 她和我不一样 |
[1:46:03] | – You never used to be. – Can’t we have the hood down? | – 你们以前是不一样 – 我们把蓬子放下,好吗? |
[1:46:16] | Can we have the hood down, Powell? | 我们可以把蓬子放下吗? |
[1:46:30] | Powell, is that house to be let again? | 车夫,那房子又要出让了吗? |
[1:46:32] | Sir Harry’s looking for new tenants, I hear, Miss. | 听说哈瑞先生在找新房客 |
[1:46:35] | What a pity about the Emersons. | 真可惜,爱默森家要搬走 |
[1:46:38] | Freddy will be so sorry. And, indeed, so am I. | 佛莱迪一定会很难过,事实上,我也是 |
[1:46:43] | – All right, Powell, stop at the stores. – Yes, ma’am. Walk on. | – 去店里吧 – 是,夫人 |
[1:46:48] | Such an agreeable family. What a pity. | 他们是很讨人喜欢的一家人,真可惜 |
[1:47:06] | No Charlotte. | 没看见夏绿蒂 |
[1:47:09] | Go and see if she’s at Mr. Beebe’s. | 露西,到毕伯那里去看看 |
[1:47:12] | And do hurry, both of you. Mary has her fish pie in. | 你们俩动作快点,玛丽已经煮好饭了 |
[1:47:18] | Did you hear what I said, Lucy? | 露西,你听到我的话了吗? |
[1:47:32] | Lucy! | 露西 |
[1:47:37] | Mr. Emerson says it’s all his fault. | 爱默森先生说全是他的错 |
[1:47:40] | I told him to trust to love. | 因为我告诉他要信任爱情 |
[1:47:43] | I told him, “George, love and do what you will.” It’s what I taught him. | 我说,”乔治,要爱就去爱”,我是这么教他的 |
[1:47:50] | So you see, it is all my fault. | 所以这全是我的错 |
[1:47:53] | Where are you going? | 你上哪儿去? |
[1:47:55] | Your mother offered to fetch me in her carriage. | 你母亲要接我 |
[1:47:59] | I have not been brought up to keep anyone waiting, least of all a kind hostess. | 我从未让人等待过,尤其是对主人 |
[1:48:08] | And now where’s Lucy? | 露西呢? |
[1:48:10] | Get in. If Mary’s fish pie spoils, she’ll mope till next Friday. | 你上来,夏绿蒂,如果让玛丽等太久,她会生气的 |
[1:48:16] | – I will sit here. – Nonsense. | – 我坐这边 – 坐这边没关系 |
[1:48:18] | – I mustn’t inconvenience you. – You know you prefer facing. | – 那边应该让你们坐 – 你明明喜欢面向前方的 |
[1:48:23] | I’ve no wish to even hear your son’s name mentioned. He has misbehaved from the first. | 不要讨论你儿子,他一开始就行为不检 |
[1:48:32] | In fact, he behaved abominably. | 他的行为令人不齿 |
[1:48:35] | Not abominably. He only tried when he should not have tried. | 不对,他只是追求的时机不当 |
[1:48:42] | No, of course, abominable is too strong a word. | 当然,说令人不齿也太过分了 |
[1:48:49] | – It’s no good discussing this. – George is taking me to London. | – 抱歉,还是别说的好 – 乔治要来接我去伦敦 |
[1:48:54] | He can’t bear to be here, and I must be where he is. | 他在此会受不了,我又得和他在一起 |
[1:48:58] | He says the thought of seeing you or hearing about you … | 他说一想到会见到你…或听到你的事… |
[1:49:04] | Mr. Emerson, please don’t go on my account. I’m going to Greece. | 爱默森先生,请别为了我而走,我要去希腊 |
[1:49:09] | Don’t leave your comfortable house. You mustn’t! | 别离开你这温暖的家 |
[1:49:13] | Why are you going to Greece? | 你为何要去希腊? |
[1:49:17] | Forgive me, but it seems to me you’re in a muddle. | 我觉得你是在逃避 |
[1:49:21] | I think the reason you’re going to Greece and you’ve broken off your engagement, | 依我看你去希腊还有退婚的原因… |
[1:49:27] | Miss Bartlett told me, is that you love George. | 巴特列小姐告诉我,是因为你爱乔治… |
[1:49:36] | All the light’s gone out of your pretty face. | 你美丽的脸上失去了光彩 |
[1:49:40] | Just like it’s gone out of George. | 和乔治的情形一样 |
[1:49:42] | I can’t bear it and now I’ve made you cry. Forgive me. | 我又让你伤心了,小姐,请原谅我 |
[1:49:48] | But I’ve got to go to Greece now. The ticket’s bought and everything. | 但我现在要去希腊了,票已经买了,都准备好了 |
[1:49:53] | – It’s impossible! – There’s only one thing impossible. | – 不可能了 – 只有一件事不可能 |
[1:49:58] | That’s to love and to part. | 就是让爱人分开 |
[1:50:02] | Lucy! | 露西 |
[1:50:06] | You love George. | 你爱乔治 |
[1:50:09] | You love the boy body and soul, as he loves you. | 你全心全意爱着他,就像他爱你一样 |
[1:50:14] | But of course I do. | 我才没有 |
[1:50:16] | What did you all think? | 你们都想到哪去了? |
[1:50:19] | – Then … – No. Mother’s calling. I’ve got to go. | – 然后… – 不,我母亲在叫我,我得走了 |
[1:50:24] | They trust me. | 她们相信我 |
[1:50:26] | Why should they? When you deceived everyone | 为什么?你欺骗了每一个人 |
[1:50:31] | including yourself. | 包括你自己 |
[1:50:38] | Charlotte, sit here. Go on, Powell. | 夏绿蒂,来坐这里,走吧 |
[1:50:45] | – One week Italy, then Greece. – Greece may be canceled. | – 一个星期在意大利,然后到希腊 – 希腊可能不去了 |
[1:50:50] | – What? – Do stop! | – 什么? – 停车 |
[1:50:52] | – I think Lucy has something to tell us. – Stop the horse! | – 露西可能有话要说 – 停车 |
[1:51:10] | Dear Charlotte, after an awful journey | 亲爱的夏绿蒂,经过长途旅行 |
[1:51:13] | when our luggage went missing twice, we reached Florence. | 在我们行李遗失两次后,我们到了佛罗伦斯 |
[1:51:17] | You’ll be glad to hear that the Pensione Bertolini is its dear self. | 那个饭店完全没变 |
[1:51:22] | The Cockney signora still terrorizes the staff. | 老板娘依然颐指气使 |
[1:51:26] | Her guests are another set of Miss Alans, Miss Lavish, Mr. Beebe | 连客人都仿若另一批的爱伦小姐,赖小姐,毕伯先生 |
[1:51:31] | – and Charlotte and Lucy. – We were promised rooms with a view. | – 夏绿蒂,还有露西 – 她答应要给我们有景色的房间 |
[1:51:35] | Hush, we mustn’t. First thing tomorrow, I shall have a bone to pick with the signora. | 明天一早,我就去找她换房间 |
[1:51:42] | It’s so unfair! | 太不公平了 |
[1:51:44] | Don’t you agree that, on one’s first visit to Florence, one must have a room with a view? | 你们不觉得第一次来佛罗伦斯的人一定要住有景色的房间吗? |
[1:51:49] | We have a view. | 我们的就有 |
[1:52:08] | Kiss me again. | 再吻我一次 |
[1:52:10] | – Again. – I’m reading. | – 再一次 – 我在看信啊! |
[1:52:14] | – What are you reading? – It’s from Freddy. | – 你在看什么? – 佛莱迪写来的信 |
[1:52:17] | What does he say? | 信上怎么说? |
[1:52:21] | Silly boy, he thinks he’s being dignified. | 傻小子,他觉得很有面子 |
[1:52:25] | I mean, everybody knew we were going away in the spring. | 因为大家都知道我们私奔了 |