时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | The death of a beloved monster is always a sorrow, | 亲爱的小怪物的死总令人悲伤 |
[00:08] | but never a surprise. | 但已见多不怪 |
[00:12] | If oddly-formed organs | 不是畸形的器官 |
[00:13] | or a random physical anomaly doesn’t claim them, | 或者身体的异常夺走了他们 |
[00:18] | then it’s the sheer intensity of their blaze. | 那就是他们的生命之火太过旺盛 |
[00:23] | A carny’s life burns and brighter than most. | 马戏团演员的生命之火如此灿烂 |
[00:27] | It is bound to extinguish sooner. | 注定要早早熄灭 |
[00:30] | Pepper. | 佩珀 |
[00:32] | Pepper, it’s time. | 佩珀 该走了 |
[00:35] | It isn’t Salty anymore. | 肖蒂已经不在了 |
[00:38] | It’s just a body. | 那只是一具尸体 |
[00:42] | A shell. | 躯壳 |
[00:43] | No long-lingering embers. | 没有苟延残喘 |
[00:46] | A life lived to its fullest and then– | 活着时精彩纷呈 然后 |
[00:49] | phfft– | 转瞬 |
[00:51] | Nahrung fur Wurmer. | 为虫所食 |
[00:53] | Worm food. | 为虫所食 |
[00:54] | Of course she understands death. | 她当然明白死亡 |
[00:56] | Why am I the only one in the camp | 难道营地里只有我一个人 |
[00:58] | who knows the depth of that girl’s soul, huh? | 真正懂这姑娘的心思吗 |
[01:01] | Still, Salty’s body is about to give off a smell, | 肖蒂的尸体都快发臭了 |
[01:03] | and she won’t budge from that bed. | 但她还是不肯下床 |
[01:11] | Most Pinheads die before the age of 40. | 大多数小头人活不过40岁 |
[01:15] | No… | 不 |
[01:28] | Salty died in his sleep, | 肖蒂死在睡梦中 |
[01:31] | right next to his soul mate. | 死在他的灵魂伴侣身边 |
[01:34] | A stroke, one presumes. | 大概是中风吧 |
[01:41] | We should all go that way. | 我们都该如此平静地离去 |
[01:45] | And my sweet Pepper, | 我亲爱的佩珀 |
[01:48] | she never mistreated him | 她从不亏待他 |
[01:52] | or took advantage of his moronic nature. | 从不因为他天生痴愚而占他便宜 |
[01:55] | Ugh, he was so stupid. | 他笨死了 |
[01:58] | Und I worked so hard with him. | 我那么努力培养他 |
[02:00] | Flash cards, and… | 单词卡 |
[02:03] | brain teasers. | 脑筋急转弯 |
[02:05] | All to no avail. | 但都没用 |
[02:08] | Not like Pepper. | 不像佩珀 |
[02:09] | She could communicate. | 还能跟她交流 |
[02:12] | He was a grunter. | 他就会学猪哼 |
[02:15] | Crude and moronic. | 笨到没法教 |
[02:19] | But she was absolutely devoted to him. | 但她对他一心一意 |
[02:27] | What is that look? | 这是什么表情 |
[02:30] | I want you to take a good look at your face. | 我想让你好好看看自己的脸 |
[02:32] | Tell me what you see. | 你看到了什么 |
[02:34] | Cold cream. | 雪花膏 |
[02:34] | No, that’s the face of suffering. | 不 这是张饱经风霜的脸 |
[02:36] | That’s the face of a woman overwhelmed | 这是一个操了太多心 |
[02:38] | with too much worry and responsibility. | 背了太多责任的女人的脸 |
[02:40] | All I have left is worry. | 我现在怎能不担心 |
[02:42] | You know what, Richard? | 跟你说 理查德 |
[02:44] | – I want you out of here. – Out? | -我希望你出去 -出去 |
[02:46] | Out of this camp. | 别待在我帐里 |
[02:51] | Elsa, dearest lady. | 艾莎 最亲爱的女士 |
[02:55] | What’s this? | 这是什么 |
[02:56] | This is the telegram we’ve been waiting for. | 这是我们一直期待的电报 |
[02:59] | This came this morning. | 今早收到的 |
[03:00] | The head of the network wants to meet with us in three weeks. | 电视台老板想在三周后见我们 |
[03:04] | What does he want me to do? | 他想让我干什么 |
[03:06] | All he wants you to do is to rest. | 他只想让你休息 |
[03:10] | You know, get your beauty rest. | 睡个美容觉 |
[03:14] | Look, I have a source who tells me | 有人给我消息 |
[03:16] | that a slot is opening up soon– | 说就要开档新节目了 |
[03:19] | Friday night, 8:00. | 周五晚八点 |
[03:20] | After Perry Como? | 在佩里·科莫秀[电视明星]之后吗 |
[03:21] | – Elsa. – No, I mean… | -艾莎 -我是说… |
[03:23] | You have to understand, you-you’ve… | 你得明白 你已经… |
[03:23] | No, no. Yes, I know, I know. | 不不 我懂 我懂 |
[03:25] | It’s just that I’ve waited so long. | 只是我等太久了 |
[03:26] | I don’t know what to say. | 我不知道该说什么 |
[03:28] | Which is precisely why you have to listen to me | 所以你该听我的 |
[03:30] | when I tell you that all this tragedy that you’ve experienced has, | 相信我 你经历的这一系列悲剧 |
[03:34] | frankly, taken its toll on you. | 让你都憔悴了 |
[03:36] | You need to rest. | 你得休息 |
[03:39] | But my Pepper. | 但我的佩珀 |
[03:40] | No, she needs me now. | 不 她现在需要我 |
[03:47] | Which is why you need me | 所以你得让我 |
[03:49] | to take care of her. | 来照顾她 |
[03:50] | Just as I have so rigorously taken care of you. | 我会像照顾你那样好好照顾她 |
[03:53] | We will have a splendid cremation. | 我们会举行盛大的火葬 |
[03:55] | And I will present dear Pepper with his ashes in an urn | 我会把他的骨灰装在镶珠宝的瓮中 |
[03:59] | inlaid with-with mother-of-pearl. | 拿给亲爱的佩珀 |
[04:01] | – No. No. – And she could always keep him close. | -不 不 -她能永远留他在身边 |
[04:03] | No! | 不 |
[04:04] | No. | 不行 |
[04:06] | She will want a proper burial. | 她想要的是土葬 |
[04:09] | Perfumed shrouds. | 熏香的裹尸布 |
[04:11] | Elsa. | 艾莎 |
[04:13] | What? | 干什么 |
[04:14] | I have worked miracles for you. | 我为你创造了奇迹 |
[04:17] | I have made your dreams come true. | 我实现了你的梦想 |
[04:22] | Let me take care of the body. | 让我来处理尸体吧 |
[04:24] | What must a man do to earn your trust? | 一个男人要怎样才能赢得你的信任 |
[06:10] | “‘Wasn’t I real before?’ | 我之前不是真的吗 |
[06:13] | asked the little rabbit. | 小白兔问道 |
[06:16] | “‘You were real to the boy,’ the fairy said, | 你对那男孩来说是真实的 仙女说 |
[06:20] | ‘because he loved you. | 因为他爱你 |
[06:24] | Now you shall be real to everyone.’ | 现在 所有人都会把你当真了 |
[06:29] | And she held the little rabbit close in her arms | 于是她紧紧将小兔子抱在怀中 |
[06:35] | and flew with him to the wood.” | 跟他一起飞向了树林 |
[06:38] | That’s beautiful, Dessi. | 读得真好 德茜 |
[06:41] | You’re gonna make a great mom someday. | 你会是个很棒的母亲 |
[06:45] | Can I talk to you for a second? | 我能跟你谈谈吗 |
[06:58] | I’ve made mistakes. | 我犯过错 |
[07:01] | I haven’t been the best husband to you, | 我没有尽到丈夫的责任 |
[07:03] | but I want another chance. | 但我想再试一次 |
[07:05] | You saved my life, Dessi. | 你救了我的命 德茜 |
[07:06] | And you saved mine. | 你也救过我的命 |
[07:08] | You don’t owe me anything. | 你什么都不欠我 |
[07:10] | But we’ve put too many years into this thing to just quit now. | 可我们在一起这么多年了 不能说分就分啊 |
[07:13] | We both deserve a shot at happiness, Dell. | 我们都该拥有幸福的机会 戴尔 |
[07:18] | And I could never make you happy. | 可是我不能让你幸福 |
[07:21] | Truly happy. | 真正的幸福 |
[07:25] | Now go on now. | 走吧 |
[07:26] | You’re making her upset. | 你惹她不开心了 |
[07:30] | All right, Pepper. | 好了 佩珀 |
[07:32] | All right, I got to go. | 我得走了 |
[07:34] | No, no. I can’t now, Pepper. | 我不能继续读了 佩珀 |
[07:36] | Okay, look. | 听着 |
[07:37] | I’ve got to go put my face on for the show. | 我得为演出化妆了 |
[07:40] | But we can finish reading after curtain. | 我们可以等演出结束后继续 |
[07:43] | Stay… | 别走 |
[07:43] | I can’t, baby. | 不行 宝贝 |
[07:45] | The show must go on. | 表演得继续 |
[07:49] | Stay! Stay! Stay! | 别走 别走 |
[07:52] | Stay! | 别走 |
[07:55] | Stay…! | 别走 |
[08:01] | You finished? | 你闹够了吗 |
[08:06] | Good. | 很好 |
[08:08] | Now you clean all this shit up. | 给我把帐篷收拾干净 |
[08:19] | How is our little Pinhead? | 我们的小头人怎么样了 |
[08:21] | She won’t eat. | 她不肯吃东西 |
[08:23] | And she just turned her tent upside down. | 她刚刚把帐篷弄得一团乱 |
[08:27] | Yes. Poor girl. | 可怜的女孩 |
[08:30] | It was an old emptiness Salty filled for her. | 肖蒂填补了她多年的寂寞 |
[08:34] | Schnapps? | 来点杜松子酒 |
[08:36] | Sure. | 当然 |
[08:37] | Sit down. | 坐吧 |
[08:39] | And her fit came when you tried to leave, no? | 你想离开时 她才发了飙 对吧 |
[08:45] | How did you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[08:48] | We all fear that we will end up alone, | 我们都害怕孤独终老 |
[08:51] | that love will be pulled from us. | 失去所爱 |
[08:54] | But it is even stronger for Pepper. | 但佩珀的恐惧更深 |
[08:58] | She has known nothing but abandonment her entire life. | 她这一生中 无数次遭人遗弃 |
[09:02] | Until I found her, of course. | 直到我发现她 |
[09:05] | Prost! | 干杯 |
[09:08] | Gesundheit. | 祝健康长寿 |
[09:13] | Well, what will we do when you leave for Hollywood? | 等你去了好莱坞我们要怎么办 |
[09:17] | I mean, Ma Petite, Salty, then you? | 小可爱和肖蒂都死了 接着你也要走 |
[09:21] | That girl may throw herself from the top | 那姑娘要难过得 |
[09:23] | of the Ferris wheel from grief. | 从摩天轮上跳下来了 |
[09:24] | Well, we can’t let that happen. | 那可不行啊 |
[09:26] | We’ll have to find a way to rouse her spirits. | 我们得想办法让她振作起来 |
[09:35] | You know, I came to this country in 1936. | 我1936年来到这个国家 |
[09:41] | Hitler had already made it plenty unpleasant | 希特勒让柏林的艺术家们 |
[09:46] | for artists in Berlin. | 日子很不好过 |
[09:51] | There was little work for anyone, really, | 那时几乎没有工作 |
[09:52] | unless you wanted to build a dam or highway. | 除非你愿意去修水坝或公路 |
[09:55] | So I found myself with the Gypsies, | 于是我加入了吉普赛人 |
[09:58] | the carny folk, in Boston. | 波士顿的一家马戏团 |
[10:00] | My English wasn’t good enough to headline, yet, | 我当时英语还不行 不能当招牌演员 |
[10:04] | so I suffered through being a chorus girl behind lesser talents. | 所以我只能为才华不如我的人伴唱 |
[10:09] | Still, I made my way to the top of the heap quickly. | 不过我想办法迅速爬了上去 |
[10:16] | They called me the Teutonic Chanteuse. | 他们叫我德国女歌手 |
[10:18] | But I don’t like working for other people. | 但我不喜欢为别人工作 |
[10:21] | I need to be in charge. | 我需要掌权 |
[10:23] | To have my own show. | 我要有自己的马戏团 |
[10:32] | The circus owners were morons. | 马戏团老板都是白痴 |
[10:34] | I don’t want any freaks. | 我可不想要畸形人 |
[10:35] | They could not see the future. | 他们看不见未来 |
[10:38] | I knew there was a war coming. | 我知道战争即将来临 |
[10:40] | The boys would be sent off to fight, the women put to work, | 男人会被送上战场 女人得去工作 |
[10:44] | and who would be left to get on stage | 到时还能剩下谁上台表演 |
[10:46] | and make them laugh or cry or forget their worries? | 让大家开心或流泪 暂时忘记忧愁呢 |
[10:49] | The freaks. | 只有畸形人 |
[10:50] | So I decided to start my own collection of oddities. | 所以我决定开始自己收罗畸形人 |
[10:54] | The idea was simple– | 想法很简单 |
[10:55] | they would come for the freaks, but stay for the star. | 观众会为畸形人而来 为明星驻步 |
[11:00] | But where to find my pets? | 不过要去哪里找我的宠物呢 |
[11:03] | Most people don’t see beauty in someone like Pepper. | 大多数人无法欣赏佩珀这种人的美 |
[11:06] | They see shame. | 他们看到的是耻辱 |
[11:07] | They see human garbage. | 他们看到的是渣滓 |
[11:09] | So I went to the place where people throw other people away. | 所以我去了被遗弃者居住的地方 |
[11:14] | An orphanage. | 孤儿院 |
[12:13] | She never knew her father. | 她从没见过自己的父亲 |
[12:16] | Her mother died. | 她母亲去世了 |
[12:17] | Her sister loved her but simply could not handle the burden. | 她姐姐爱她 却承受不了这样的负担 |
[12:22] | Orphanages don’t usually take 18-year-olds, | 孤儿院一般不收18岁以上的 |
[12:25] | but Pepper had the mind of a child. | 但佩珀有着孩童般的天真 |
[12:32] | I offered to adopt her, but since she was of legal age | 我提出要领养她 但因她已成年 |
[12:35] | they just let us leave together. | 他们直接让我们一起离开了 |
[12:37] | I think they were worried I might change my mind. | 我想他们是担心我会改主意 |
[12:40] | But how could I? | 但怎么会呢 |
[12:41] | I loved her. | 我爱她 |
[12:42] | My first monster. | 我的第一个小怪物 |
[12:44] | Adoration, affection, idolization… | 倾慕 爱恋 盲目崇拜 |
[12:47] | I am a performer, | 我是艺人 |
[12:48] | I had felt them all in droves. | 这些我早已习以为常 |
[12:51] | But when this strange-looking little one looked at me, | 但当这个长相奇特的小家伙看着我时 |
[12:55] | it was the first time I had ever felt unconditional love. | 我第一次感受到了无条件的爱 |
[13:15] | I knew, after her first performance, | 她第一次登台后我就知道 |
[13:18] | that she was a keeper. | 她值得留住 |
[13:28] | My collection grew. | 我找到了越来越多的小怪物 |
[13:29] | I took great pride in mothering my troupe. | 能像母亲般照料我的戏班子我很自豪 |
[13:32] | Most of them knew nothing of the world, | 他们大多数对这世界一无所知 |
[13:35] | save for how to survive in it. | 只知道生存之道 |
[13:38] | But I could tell that none of my teaching or attention | 但我知道我的循循教导和悉心照料 |
[13:42] | was going to make my firstborn happy. | 都不足以让我的第一个小怪物开心 |
[13:45] | She was a woman now | 她已长大成人 |
[13:46] | and she had maternal needs. | 母爱开始泛滥 |
[13:48] | But she couldn’t possibly be allowed to breed. | 但她不可能被允许生儿育女 |
[13:51] | Little did I know that the answer to my prayers | 当时我并不知道 我的祈祷 |
[13:54] | would arrive a few weeks later from the Far East. | 将在数月后从远东前来应验 |
[14:01] | Suryamohan Bahadur was the Maharaja of Kapurthala. | 瑟里尔慕汉阁下 卡普塔拉的王公 |
[14:06] | The Maharaja was touring the U.S. | 王公当时在美国巡游 |
[14:08] | He was a slave to the British, | 他虽隶属英国 |
[14:10] | but he was the richest slave on Earth. | 却是全世界最富有的奴隶 |
[14:12] | He traveled with an entourage… | 他到哪都有大批随从陪同 |
[14:14] | footmen, concubines, eunuchs… | 男仆 姬妾 宦官 |
[14:16] | and one tiny miracle. | 以及一个袖珍奇迹 |
[14:37] | I needed her, | 我需要她 |
[14:38] | but he could not be moved. | 但他不肯割爱 |
[14:44] | The Maharaja says the girl is a Dalit. | 王公说她是达利特 |
[14:46] | An untouchable. | 不可触碰的贱民 |
[14:47] | To trade her for anything would assume the Raj has given her value. | 任何形式的买卖都等于承认她有价值 |
[14:50] | He would take it as a personal insult. | 他会认为这是对他个人的侮辱 |
[14:52] | She is his favorite pet. | 她是王公最爱的宠物 |
[14:54] | He would never part with her. | 他不会让她离开自己身边 |
[15:38] | He finally caved in when I offered him three cases. | 我说要拿三箱换时 他终于妥协了 |
[15:42] | Dr. Pepper. | 胡椒博士饮料[佩珀] |
[15:44] | Sweet irony, no? | 真是个甜美的讽刺 不是吗 |
[16:15] | I had never seen Pepper so happy. | 我从未见过佩珀如此快乐 |
[16:23] | Her maternal needs were fulfilled. | 她的母性需求得到了满足 |
[16:25] | And yet, she wanted more. | 但她却想要更多 |
[16:38] | She needed a husband. | 她需要一个丈夫 |
[16:39] | A spiritual husband. | 灵魂伴侣 |
[16:48] | I wrote to every orphanage in the country. | 我给全国各地的孤儿院去信 |
[16:51] | Six months later, | 六个月后 |
[16:52] | a home for wayward boys in Cincinnati wrote back. | 辛辛那提的一所男管教所回信了 |
[17:00] | It was love at first sight. | 他们一见钟情 |
[17:18] | I officiated the wedding, obviously. | 婚礼自然是我主持的 |
[17:22] | It was a magical affair. | 那是个奇妙的仪式 |
[17:25] | Simple… the bride and groom | 非常简洁 新娘和新郎 |
[17:28] | knew six words between them, | 两人加起来只知道六个单词 |
[17:31] | but it was deeply moving. | 但婚礼让人感动不已 |
[17:56] | They raised Ma Petite as their own child. | 他们把小可爱当做自己的孩子抚养 |
[18:00] | And I was their fairy godmother. | 而我则是仙女教母 |
[18:07] | Theirs was a love story for the ages. | 他们的爱情故事是永世经典 |
[18:12] | They never hurt a soul, | 他们从未伤害过任何人 |
[18:14] | never sinned. | 没有任何罪孽 |
[18:18] | Pure spirits. | 纯洁无暇的灵魂 |
[18:21] | That girl… | 那女孩… |
[18:23] | lost everyone she loved. | 失去了她所爱的一切 |
[18:27] | You got to find out if her sister is still around. | 你得查明她姐姐是否还在世 |
[18:30] | I mean, Pepper is not the handful she used to be. | 佩珀不像从前那么需要人照顾了 |
[18:34] | She’s a grown woman, now. | 她是个成年女人了 |
[18:38] | Useful. | 有能力 |
[18:43] | Maybe you’re right. | 也许你说得对 |
[18:48] | Perhaps it’s time for our little angel… | 也许我们的小天使 |
[18:57] | to go back home. | 该回家了 |
[19:26] | Maggie… you remember Angus? | 玛姬 你还记得安格斯吗 |
[19:30] | Hello, ma’am. | 你好 女士 |
[19:30] | Nice to make your acquaintance. | 很高兴认识你 |
[19:32] | – We want to have… – I know exactly what you want. | -我们想… -我知道你们想要什么 |
[19:35] | Welcome to Mystic Esmeralda’s Temple of Destiny. | 欢迎来到神秘者埃斯梅拉达的命运神殿 |
[19:38] | Have a seat. | 请坐 |
[19:48] | Fine tall drink of water, there, Desiree. | 如此高大威猛的帅哥 德茜蕾 |
[19:51] | – Where’d you round him up? – You remember that evening | -你在哪找到的 -你还记得那晚 |
[19:52] | when I was showin’ off the new dance craze? | 我向观众展示新舞步吗 |
[19:56] | *Mamba, baby* | *曼巴舞 宝贝* |
[20:01] | *Tonight* | *就在今夜* |
[20:05] | *You turned darkness* | *你改变黑夜* |
[20:08] | I knew right then and there, | 我当时就知道 |
[20:09] | my days as a confirmed bachelor were over. | 我单身的日子结束了 |
[20:12] | I had to make her mine. | 我必须把她追到手 |
[20:19] | So… | 那么… |
[20:20] | tell us… | 告诉我们 |
[20:21] | what do you see in our future? | 我们会有怎样的未来 |
[20:31] | You’re a traveler. | 你是个旅行者 |
[20:33] | A salesman, roaming door-to-door. | 推销员 挨家挨户推销 |
[20:35] | Why, yes. | 是的 |
[20:35] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[20:37] | Jefferson’s Floor Wax | 杰弗逊地板蜡 |
[20:38] | make your home shiny and new. | 让你家焕然一新 |
[20:46] | Ooh, hush, now. | 嘘 |
[20:48] | Oh, let’s get to the good stuff. | 来听我们的美好未来 |
[20:50] | You’re a romantic. | 你很浪漫 |
[20:52] | A dreamer. | 充满梦想 |
[20:54] | I see you two lovebirds starting a new beginning. | 我看到你们这对爱侣开始了新的生活 |
[20:57] | Somewhere out west. | 在西部的某个地方 |
[20:59] | Oh, a small house… | 一栋小房子 |
[21:01] | a white picket fence… | 白色栅栏 |
[21:02] | Oh, that’s right, Angus. | 没错 安格斯 |
[21:04] | Mama needs a picket, | 我就想要栅栏 |
[21:05] | and the picket better be white. | 最好是白色的 |
[21:06] | Oh, whatever you want, baby, you got it. | 宝贝 想要什么都行 没问题 |
[21:08] | Well, how many kids we gonna have? | 我们要生多少孩子呢 |
[21:10] | Ooh, kids! | 孩子啊 |
[21:15] | Then… everything goes to shit, | 接着一切急转直下 |
[21:18] | because that’s what happens. | 无可避免 |
[21:19] | You’ll start to… despise each other. | 你们开始相互鄙夷 |
[21:22] | There’s no joy. | 毫无欢乐 |
[21:23] | There’s no hope. | 毫无希望 |
[21:25] | It guts you, ripping you apart, piece by piece, | 这样的生活使你们支离破碎 |
[21:28] | until one day, you find yourself | 直到有一天 你发现自己 |
[21:30] | standing in a kitchen, heating up tar and gripping a pillow. | 站在厨房里 热着焦油 抱着枕头 |
[21:33] | Angus, I think I’ve had enough | 安格斯 我想今晚 |
[21:35] | of the fairy tales for one evening. | 童话故事已经听得够多了 |
[21:37] | Maggie’s had a long day. | 玛姬今天也辛苦了 |
[21:39] | Let’s you and me go get some ice cream. | 我们去吃些冰淇淋吧 |
[21:42] | I’m a God-fearing Christian. | 我是虔诚的基督徒 |
[21:44] | I don’t believe in this sorcery stuff, anyway. | 反正我也不相信巫术 |
[21:47] | It doesn’t matter what you believe. | 你相信什么无关紧要 |
[21:49] | It all ends the same. | 结局都是一样的 |
[21:50] | Let’s get out of here. | 我们走吧 |
[22:16] | Miss Sunshine and Roses! | 阳光玫瑰小姐 |
[22:18] | What was that back there? | 你刚刚那是干什么 |
[22:20] | You weren’t telling my future. | 那不是我的未来 |
[22:21] | You were telling your own. | 是你自己的 |
[22:22] | Your man is rotting in a cell | 你男人正坐穿牢底 |
[22:24] | and here you are, | 而你却在这儿 |
[22:25] | full of whiskey and self-pity. | 终日醉酒自怜 |
[22:30] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[22:31] | There’s nothing I can do for him. | 我什么也帮不到他 |
[22:32] | And I’ll let you in on a little secret: | 我还告诉你一个小秘密 |
[22:34] | I’m no fortune-teller. | 我根本不是占卜师 |
[22:37] | I could’ve told you that, sugar. | 我早就知道了 甜心 |
[22:42] | We’re on the grift. | 我们在行骗 |
[22:43] | Me and Stanley. | 我和斯坦利 |
[22:45] | “Mr. Spencer” is not a Hollywood talent scout. | 斯宾瑟先生不是好莱坞星探 |
[22:50] | He’s not? | 他不是 |
[22:51] | We’re business partners. | 我们是商业伙伴 |
[22:53] | Have been for years. | 已经很多年了 |
[22:54] | Paper! Get your paper! | 报纸 卖报纸 |
[22:56] | Who wants a paper? | 谁要来份报纸 |
[22:57] | Kansas City Star! | 《堪萨斯城星报》 |
[22:59] | Paper? | 要报纸吗 |
[23:04] | Get your paper! | 来份报纸吧 |
[23:06] | Kansas City Star! | 《堪萨斯城星报》 |
[23:07] | Paper, paper! | 报纸 报纸 |
[23:20] | I caught you, you little scamp. | 抓到你了 你个小流氓 |
[23:22] | Show me what’s under your coat. Come on. | 给我看看你大衣下面有什么 |
[23:24] | Get your hands off me, you pervert. | 把手拿开 你个变态 |
[23:26] | Officer! | 警官 |
[23:26] | Officer, please. Please. | 警官 抱歉 抱歉 |
[23:28] | Forgive my boy. | 原谅我的孩子 |
[23:30] | He just got a part in the stage production of Oliver Twist. | 他刚得到《雾都孤儿》舞台剧的角色 |
[23:33] | Now, he’s come from such privilege | 他出身贵胄 |
[23:35] | that he wanted to see what it felt like to be poor and hungry. | 所以想体验体验穷困饥饿的感觉 |
[23:38] | Stanley didn’t think I was so convincing. | 斯坦利觉得我不像那么回事 |
[23:41] | Offered to make me his partner for ten cents on the dollar. | 让我做他的搭档 我们九一分成 |
[23:45] | That was big money for me, back then. | 那当时对我来说是笔大钱 |
[23:49] | So, your parents… | 那你父母 |
[23:51] | they just let you go off with this man? | 就让你跟这个男人走了吗 |
[23:54] | I didn’t have parents. | 我没有父母 |
[23:56] | Not really. | 不算真有 |
[23:58] | I had to fend for myself, and… | 我只能自己谋生 |
[24:00] | well, Stanley fed me, | 斯坦利给我食物 |
[24:02] | kept me out of the rain. | 为我遮风挡雨 |
[24:04] | And he never laid a finger on me. | 他还从未碰过我 |
[24:05] | So you all are criminals? | 那么你俩是罪犯 |
[24:07] | What could you possibly want with a bunch of freaks like us? | 你们想从我们这群畸形这儿得到什么 |
[24:13] | We’re fleecing your customers. | 我们在扒窃你们的观众 |
[24:15] | When the lights go down, we pick their pockets. | 灯光熄灭后 我们就去掏他们的兜 |
[24:18] | Oh, you all came down here to Jupiter, Florida, | 你们一路跑来佛罗里达的朱庇特 |
[24:20] | to pick a bunch of pockets? | 就为了小偷小摸吗 |
[24:23] | I wasn’t born on a farm, | 我虽没生在农场 |
[24:24] | but I do know bullshit when I smell it, | 但还是分得出什么是屁话 |
[24:27] | and I gotta say… that is some bullshit. | 我得说 你这就是屁话 |
[24:29] | Go to hell, Triple tits. | 去死吧 三乳 |
[24:31] | Come to think of it… | 仔细想来 |
[24:34] | been a lot of trouble around here since you two showed up. | 自从你俩来了之后 我们就麻烦不断 |
[24:37] | Lot of freaks been dying. | 死了不少畸形人 |
[24:39] | Ma Petite and Ethel, | 先是小可爱和艾瑟尔 |
[24:41] | now Salty. | 现在是肖蒂 |
[24:42] | I killed ’em all. Every last one of them. | 都是我杀的 我杀了他们所有人 |
[24:44] | Is that what you want to hear? | 你就想听我这么说吧 |
[24:45] | You listen to me, little girl, | 你听我说 姑娘 |
[24:47] | and you listen good. | 认真听好 |
[24:48] | Now, you can tell me anything you want, | 你想说什么都行 |
[24:50] | but don’t let me find out that you and your weasel friend | 但别让我发现你和你狡猾的朋友 |
[24:53] | had anything to do with hurting our kind, | 跟我们畸形人的死有关 |
[24:55] | or I will kill you dead. | 否则我让你们偿命 |
[24:58] | Now, are we clear? | 听明白没 |
[25:13] | We’ve been looking everywhere for you. | 我们到处找你 |
[25:15] | Well, gold star for you, | 奖励你们朵小红花 |
[25:16] | – ’cause here I am. – We want to help. | -找到我啦 -我们想帮忙 |
[25:19] | Dot and I don’t have much. | 多特和我没多少积蓄 |
[25:22] | We were saving for something, | 我们本想攒钱做件事 |
[25:24] | but our plans have changed. | 但我们改主意了 |
[25:26] | We want you to have it. | 我们想把钱给你 |
[25:29] | Use this money to get Jimmy a proper lawyer. | 用这钱去给吉米请个好律师 |
[25:33] | Let me get this straight: | 让我把情况搞清楚 |
[25:34] | you want me to use your hard-earned pennies to save Jimmy. | 你们想让我用你们辛苦攒下来的钱去救吉米 |
[25:38] | Do it yourself. | 你们自己去吧 |
[25:40] | Maybe he’ll even reward you with a big, fat kiss. | 也许他还会奖励你们一个深吻呢 |
[25:43] | I’m going to punch her in the face. | 我想揍她一拳 |
[25:45] | Don’t let her get to you. | 别让她激怒你 |
[25:47] | Let me handle this. | 我来搞定她 |
[25:49] | People don’t always take too kindly to us at first glance. | 人们初见到我们时 通常不怎么待见我们 |
[25:54] | You can be his champion, | 你可以做他的英雄 |
[25:56] | like Margaret O’Sullivan in Let Us Live, | 就像《一线生机》里玛格丽特·奥沙利文 |
[25:58] | crusading to save Henry Fonda. | 拼尽全力营救亨利·方达一样 |
[26:00] | I hate to break it to you, | 我不想打击你 |
[26:02] | but life is not like the movies, | 但生活可比不上电影 |
[26:04] | you simple-minded idiot. | 你个一根筋的笨蛋 |
[26:07] | Don’t you talk about my sister like that! | 不许你这样对我妹妹说话 |
[26:12] | Jimmy thinks you walk on water, | 吉米视你为天仙下凡 |
[26:14] | but you don’t fool me. | 但你骗不了我 |
[26:16] | You are a phony. | 你不过徒有其表 |
[26:17] | And you don’t really love Jimmy. | 而且你根本不爱吉米 |
[26:19] | Because when you love someone, they come first. | 因为爱一个人 就会事事以他为先 |
[26:22] | Oh, brother. | 得了吧 |
[26:24] | Next you’ll be telling me that love conquers all. | 你接下来要说爱情能战胜一切吗 |
[26:27] | How can you be so cold? | 你为什么这么冷漠 |
[26:29] | Jimmy could end up like Meep. | 吉米可能会和米普一个下场 |
[26:31] | Is that what you want? | 你真希望如此吗 |
[26:37] | You do right by Jimmy. | 你好好待吉米 |
[26:52] | Darling, you got a visitor. | 达林 有人来看你了 |
[27:03] | Oh… it’s you. | 是你 |
[27:05] | Who were you hoping to see, | 你希望谁来 |
[27:07] | Mickey Mantle? | 米奇·曼托[美国棒球明星]吗 |
[27:10] | I’m sorry. It’s… | 对不起 |
[27:12] | it’s nice of you to come. | 谢谢你来看我 |
[27:19] | Listen. | 听着 |
[27:21] | I know exactly what you’re feeling. | 我理解你现在的感受 |
[27:23] | I… | 我 |
[27:26] | I lost my mother when I was young. | 我妈妈在我还小的时候就去世了 |
[27:30] | Suddenly I was all alone in the world. | 这世上突然只剩我一人 |
[27:34] | An orphan. | 成了孤儿 |
[27:36] | And I got into some trouble. | 我当时惹上了些麻烦 |
[27:41] | Well, not the kind of trouble you’re in. | 当然没你的麻烦这么严重 |
[27:45] | Listen, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. | 听着 吉米 吉米 |
[27:49] | Did you do it? | 是你干的吗 |
[27:50] | I… | 我 |
[27:56] | I don’t know. I don’t know. | 我不知道 我不知道 |
[28:00] | I’ve been over it and over it in my head. | 我不停地回想那一天 |
[28:04] | I had too much to drink. | 当时我喝了太多酒 |
[28:06] | I was in a rage about my ma, my life, everything. | 我气我妈 我的人生 世上的一切 |
[28:09] | But from the moment I got to the house, | 但从我到他们家 |
[28:11] | till the moment I woke up here | 到在这里醒来之间 |
[28:13] | is just black. | 完全一片空白 |
[28:14] | So you admit you were there? | 这么说你承认去过那里 |
[28:15] | I couldn’t have done it. | 不可能是我干的 |
[28:16] | I-I didn’t kill them. | 她们不是我杀的 |
[28:21] | Did I? | 是我吗 |
[28:23] | I don’t think you did. | 我不认为是你干的 |
[28:24] | That’s why I’m here. | 所以我才会来 |
[28:25] | I am gonna get you the best lawyer money can buy. | 我会为你请这世上最好的律师 |
[28:30] | You’ve no doubt heard of Clarence Darrow. | 你肯定听说过克拉伦斯·达罗 |
[28:33] | The Mo… the Monkey Trial? Isn’t he dead? | 猴子审判的律师吗 他不是已经死了吗 |
[28:35] | Yeah, but the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. | 对 但子承父业 |
[28:37] | His son Donald is an absolutely brilliant attorney. | 他儿子唐纳德是位很出色的律师 |
[28:43] | I’ve made some inquiries. | 我向他咨询过 |
[28:44] | He’s interested in your case. | 他对你的案子很感兴趣 |
[28:45] | But from now on, | 但从现在开始 |
[28:47] | you got to shut up. | 你不能再说一个字 |
[28:49] | The only talking you’re gonna do is to your lawyer. | 你只能跟你的律师说话 |
[28:54] | I don’t know…. | 我不知道… |
[28:55] | I don’t know how to thank you. | 我不知道该怎么感谢你 |
[28:58] | You don’t owe me a thing. | 你不欠我什么的 |
[29:01] | But, you know, that attorney, | 不过 那个律师 |
[29:02] | that’s a different matter. | 他可不一样 |
[29:03] | He’s going to want a retainer. | 你得预付他律师费 |
[29:07] | I don’t have any money. | 可我一分钱也没有 |
[29:10] | Well, what about Ethel’s estate? | 艾瑟尔留给你的遗产呢 |
[29:13] | She leave you anything? | 她没给你留什么吗 |
[29:15] | I don’t have anything of value to give you, Mr. Spencer. | 我没什么值钱的东西能给你 斯宾瑟先生 |
[29:24] | Shit! | 见鬼 |
[29:36] | I might have an idea about how to raise the funds. | 我有个主意 可以让你筹到钱 |
[29:48] | Okay, beef chuck. | 好了 牛肩胛 |
[29:50] | Arm, shoulder or blade. | 上肢 肩膀或是带骨肩肉 |
[29:55] | Salt. | 盐 |
[29:57] | Pepper. | 胡椒粉 |
[30:00] | Flour. | 面粉 |
[30:03] | Onions. | 洋葱 |
[30:07] | Ah… horseradish. | 对了 还有辣根 |
[30:11] | Carrots and potatoes. | 胡萝卜和土豆 |
[30:14] | Here you go. | 给你 |
[30:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[30:16] | I mean, it’s just a goddamn pot roast, right? | 不就是炖个牛肉吗 |
[30:18] | How hard can it be? | 能有多难呢 |
[30:20] | Say it isn’t so. | 这不是真的吧 |
[30:23] | Toughest woman I know and now you want to be Betty Crocker? | 我认识的最彪悍的女人这是要当贝蒂妙厨吗 |
[30:26] | Damn straight. | 说得没错 |
[30:27] | If I’m gonna be a homemaker, | 如果我要做家庭主妇 |
[30:28] | I can’t let my babies starve. | 我可不会让我的孩子挨饿 |
[30:30] | My mother taught all my sisters how to cook, | 我母亲教过我其他的姐妹下厨 |
[30:33] | but she never taught me. | 可她从未教过我 |
[30:35] | Maybe she saw your potential elsewhere. | 也许她看到了你其它的潜能 |
[30:38] | Girl… don’t butter me up. | 小妞 不用来巴结我 |
[30:42] | I haven’t forgotten what you told me. | 我可没忘记你说过的话 |
[30:44] | And I haven’t decided what I’m gonna do about it yet. | 而且我还没决定该怎么办 |
[30:47] | But believe you me… | 但我会想到的 |
[30:51] | I want to do the right thing for once. | 这次我想做正确的事 |
[30:54] | That’s why I’m here. | 所以我才来找你 |
[30:57] | We can’t talk here. | 我们不能在这里谈 |
[30:57] | Just follow me. | 跟我来 |
[31:00] | I want to help Jimmy. | 我想帮助吉米 |
[31:01] | Good. Get him a lawyer. | 好啊 给他找个律师 |
[31:03] | – I need you to trust me. – Trust you? | -我需要你相信我 -相信你吗 |
[31:05] | Ha! That’s a laugh. | 真好笑 |
[31:08] | Everyone in this entire camp | 如果你不听我的话 |
[31:09] | will be dead soon unless you listen to me. | 整个营地的人很快都会死 |
[31:11] | I know how to help everyone. | 我知道怎么帮助你们所有人 |
[31:13] | Jimmy and the freaks all at once. | 救出吉米 还有其他畸形人 |
[31:15] | I just have to connect the dots. | 我只是需要把事情串起来 |
[31:18] | Place blame where it’s due. | 找到罪魁祸首 |
[31:20] | Put the real villain away forever. | 把真正的坏人绳之以法 |
[31:23] | I don’t like riddles! Never have. | 我不喜欢猜谜 从来就不喜欢 |
[31:25] | Listen! | 听我说 |
[31:26] | I know you want to | 我知道你希望 |
[31:28] | ride off into the sunset with your Prince Charming | 和你的白马王子一起驶入夕阳 |
[31:30] | and your pot roasts, but | 还带上你的炖肉 可是 |
[31:32] | I need you to help me first. | 我需要你先帮我 |
[31:35] | There’s something I need you to see. | 我有东西要给你看 |
[31:49] | Good coffee. | 咖啡不错 |
[31:51] | Fresh brewed? | 刚煮的吗 |
[31:52] | It’s Sanka. | 是无咖啡因的 |
[31:53] | My husband has trouble sleeping. | 我丈夫一直被失眠困扰 |
[31:55] | I understand. I have, too, lately. | 可以理解 我最近也睡不好 |
[31:58] | So much change. | 发生了太多改变 |
[32:03] | I think she is happy to see you. | 我觉得她很高兴见到你 |
[32:07] | Hi, Pepper. | 你好 佩珀 |
[32:09] | She doesn’t never talk. | 她从不说话 |
[32:13] | She probably remembers me leaving her at the orphanage. | 她可能还记得我把她遗弃在孤儿院 |
[32:19] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[32:20] | Where I had the great good fortune of finding her. | 我有幸找到了她 |
[32:23] | Is that right? | 是嘛 |
[32:30] | I couldn’t keep her. | 我没法留下她 |
[32:32] | I told myself, Rita, you will never meet a man | 我跟自己说 丽塔 如果要照顾傻妹妹 |
[32:35] | and have a children if I have | 你就永远无法遇见心仪的男人 |
[32:37] | to look after a dim-witted sister. | 和他生下自己的孩子 |
[32:39] | I… I always wanted the babies. | 我一直都想要孩子 |
[32:43] | Of course. | 当然 |
[32:44] | We all have our dreams, don’t we? | 我们都有自己的梦想 不是吗 |
[32:47] | And where are they now– your children– are they at school? | 那他们在哪呢 你的孩子们 去上学了吗 |
[32:52] | No, I didn’t have any. | 不 我没有孩子 |
[32:54] | ‘Cause I had piped clogs. | 因为我输卵管堵塞 |
[32:55] | What? | 什么 |
[32:57] | Clogged pipes. | 输卵管堵塞 |
[32:59] | Something. I don’t know. | 什么的 我也说不清 |
[33:01] | I just couldn’t have any. | 我就是生不出孩子 |
[33:02] | Oh, well, so much the better. | 那就更好了 |
[33:05] | She will be great company for you. | 她正好能陪伴你 |
[33:08] | And no trouble at all. | 她不会给你添麻烦 |
[33:11] | I have taught her words. | 我教会了她识字 |
[33:15] | And responsibility. | 承担责任 |
[33:17] | How to care for others. | 如何照顾他人 |
[33:19] | Even how to make a stiff Singapore Sling. | 甚至会调新加坡司令鸡尾酒 |
[33:22] | You enjoy cocktails, Mrs. Gayhart? | 你喜欢鸡尾酒吗 盖哈特太太 |
[33:24] | I do. | 喜欢啊 |
[33:26] | I love many cocktails. | 我很喜欢鸡尾酒 |
[33:28] | But, Miss Mars, | 马尔斯女士 |
[33:31] | what am I supposed to tell Larry my husband? | 我要怎么跟我丈夫拉瑞说啊 |
[33:35] | I mean, he don’t even know she exists. | 他甚至不知道她的存在 |
[33:39] | Well, you tell him that you have a lovely sister, | 就告诉他 你有个可爱的妹妹 |
[33:43] | which is true. | 这是事实 |
[33:44] | And then you tell him | 然后再告诉他 |
[33:47] | that she has come to live with you. | 她要搬来跟你一起住 |
[33:50] | No, I just can’t do that. | 不行 我不能那么做 |
[33:53] | You can and you must. | 你能 也必须这么做 |
[33:56] | This is your sister. | 这是你妹妹 |
[33:58] | Now, you may think that I’m leaving you a burden, | 你或许认为我是把负担丢给了你 |
[34:01] | but I am not. | 但并非如此 |
[34:03] | Pepper is a gift. | 佩珀是一份馈赠 |
[34:06] | A soul so pure | 是一个纯洁的灵魂 |
[34:09] | it’s rare in this world. | 世间罕有 |
[34:14] | You’re right. I know you’re right. | 是啊 你说得对 |
[34:19] | Larry’s gonna hit the roof. | 拉瑞要气疯的 |
[34:21] | Well, stand up to him! | 那就跟他叫板 |
[34:25] | Pepper has suffered great losses. | 佩珀承受了很多丧亲之痛 |
[34:30] | And I fear | 我担心 |
[34:32] | that she will perish from loneliness and a broken heart | 她会因孤独和心碎而憔悴 |
[34:37] | if she does not have someone who loves her. | 我必须找个人爱护她 |
[34:45] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[34:50] | I guess she can help me around here. | 她可以在家帮帮我 |
[34:57] | I’ll go make up the Castro Convertible. | 我去把沙发床铺好 |
[35:01] | He’s gonna have conniptions. | 他会跟我大发脾气的 |
[35:04] | That room’s his study. | 那房间是他书房 |
[35:06] | Uh, ’cause of all the studying and everything, | 因为他有事要研究 |
[35:09] | the study stuff. | 放了些东西 |
[35:14] | Stay. | 别走 |
[35:16] | No, darling. | 不行 亲爱的 |
[35:18] | No, my darling. | 不行啊 |
[35:20] | No. | 不行 |
[35:22] | I cannot stay. | 我得走了 |
[35:23] | I cannot stay, my darling. | 我不能留下 亲爱的 |
[35:35] | Well… | 好了 |
[35:38] | you and I’ve known each other | 我们已经 |
[35:40] | a very long time. | 有很久的交情了 |
[35:46] | And I understand you even without words. | 不用说话我也明白你的心意 |
[35:50] | I know all you ever wanted was a family. | 我知道家庭是你全部的心愿 |
[35:54] | So, you just remember | 记住 |
[35:57] | no matter how far away I am, | 不管我们相隔多远 |
[36:01] | I will always be your family. | 我永远是你的家人 |
[36:06] | Now, here. Here, my darling, | 好了 我亲爱的 |
[36:10] | is a kiss | 我给你 |
[36:11] | from me to you. | 一个吻 |
[36:14] | If you get lonely, | 如果你孤单了 |
[36:16] | you hold it to your cheek | 就把手贴在脸上 |
[36:18] | and I’ll be there, okay? | 我就在你身边了 |
[36:23] | Listen. | 听我说 |
[36:26] | Your sister doesn’t know you yet. | 你姐姐还不了解你 |
[36:30] | She may make mistakes. | 她可能会犯错误 |
[36:32] | She may hurt your feelings. | 她可能会伤到你的心 |
[36:33] | But you must forgive her. | 但你务必原谅她 |
[36:36] | She’s a good person. | 她是个好人 |
[36:38] | And she is trying, okay? | 她在尽力了 |
[36:43] | Now, say good-bye. | 道别吧 |
[36:45] | No, no, no, no. | 不不不 |
[36:47] | No crying. | 别哭 |
[36:49] | Because if you cry then I will cry | 你哭 我也会哭 |
[36:51] | and then what will happen to my mascara? | 那我的睫毛膏就都花了 |
[37:13] | The American Morbidity Museum? | 美国畸形博物馆 |
[37:15] | Why we got to travel all this way for skeletons and such? | 我们大老远跑来就为了看骨头架子啊 |
[37:19] | Because I need a witness to this | 我需要找个证人 |
[37:21] | in case something happens to me when Stanley’s called out. | 以防我指证斯坦利后遭遇了不幸 |
[37:23] | All this here is because of him? | 这一切就因为他 |
[37:25] | And another recent acquisition | 另一件最近购得的展品 |
[37:27] | of which we’re very proud– | 是令我们十分自豪的 |
[37:29] | a male died from natural causes. | 一名自然死亡的男子 |
[37:31] | – Sweet Jesus! – And as you can see, the skull | -老天啊 -大家能看到 这颗头颅 |
[37:33] | is a classic representation of microcephaly. | 是头小畸型的典型代表 |
[37:36] | He got paid $3,000 for Ma Petite’s body. | 小可爱的尸体为他挣了三千块 |
[37:39] | That’s why he had her killed. | 所以他找人杀了她 |
[37:40] | Wha…? | 什么 |
[37:41] | We removed the brain of the specimen | 我们取出了样品的大脑 |
[37:44] | and found the weight of the organ to be 33% lighter | 其重量比正常成年男性 |
[37:48] | than that of a normal adult male. | 轻了33% |
[37:52] | Shall we? | 继续看吧 |
[38:03] | And this is our newest exhibit. | 这是我们最新的展品 |
[38:05] | It’s just arrived today. | 今天才刚到 |
[38:07] | It is a perfect example of a rare congenital defect known as | 是一种罕见先天性缺陷的完美代表 也就是 |
[38:15] | ectrodactyly. | 缺趾畸形 |
[38:17] | Commonly referred to as lobster hands. | 一般被称为龙虾手 |
[38:21] | No… | 不要啊 |
[38:36] | I gave it everything. | 我付出了一切 |
[38:38] | We both did, me and Larry. | 我们都是 我和拉瑞 |
[38:43] | But I guess that genes are genes. | 但基因无法改变 |
[38:47] | Like my Uncle Charlie says, | 我查理叔叔常说 |
[38:49] | “A goat’s a goat and not a chicken.” | 山羊不是鸡 |
[38:54] | But God loves us all. | 但上帝爱我们每个人 |
[38:59] | I… | 我 |
[39:00] | I added that last part about God. | 我自己加上了上帝那句 |
[39:03] | So, next question. | 下个问题 |
[39:07] | “Reason for patient’s confinement.” | “病人入院理由” |
[39:12] | Can you tell me when the problem started? | 能跟我说说是什么时候开始出现问题的吗 |
[39:16] | Well I’d wanted a baby ever since I met Larry, | 我遇见拉瑞后 就一直想生孩子 |
[39:19] | but I’d given up. | 但我早都放弃了 |
[39:22] | And then two weeks before my 50th, | 可我50岁前两周 |
[39:26] | your God plays a big ol’ joke. | 你的上帝跟我开了个玩笑 |
[39:29] | I wake up in the middle of the night with the worst stomachache. | 我大半夜被胃疼惊醒 |
[39:32] | Larry rushes me to the hospital, | 拉瑞急忙送我去了医院 |
[39:35] | and they tell me, “Mrs. Gayhart, | 他们说 盖哈特太太 |
[39:37] | you’re having the labor pains.” | 你这是产前阵痛 |
[39:40] | 12 hours of crazy later, | 折腾了12个小时 |
[39:43] | they hand me little Lucas. | 他们把卢卡斯交到了我手上 |
[39:50] | N-Not to be rude, but, um… | 无意冒犯 |
[39:54] | you’re a little… | 但您是不是… |
[39:57] | mature… | 太高龄了 |
[39:59] | to be having a baby, aren’t you? | 还能生孩子吗 |
[40:01] | God doesn’t always give with both hands. | 上帝的馈赠并不总是完美的 |
[40:05] | Now, Lucas was different than your normal baby. | 卢卡斯和一般的孩子不太一样 |
[40:10] | He was… | 他… |
[40:14] | deformed. | 畸形 |
[40:17] | But to us he was our perfect little miracle. | 但在我们眼中 他是完美的奇迹 |
[40:20] | “Trouble started | 麻烦从 |
[40:24] | “When baby is born | 病人监护人 |
[40:30] | to patient’s guardians.” | 生下孩子之后开始 |
[40:36] | Then what? | 后来呢 |
[40:37] | Well, due to the difficult delivery, and my age, | 由于我高龄生子 |
[40:41] | I was stuck to my bed. | 我不得不卧床 |
[40:47] | At first, Pepper was eager to help out. | 起初 佩珀很乐意帮忙 |
[40:50] | I thought– well, she’s not too bright, | 我还想 她虽然不太聪明 |
[40:52] | but she just might have the mothering instinct. | 但她或许有母亲天性 |
[41:00] | Pepper, | 佩珀 |
[41:01] | make me another martini? | 再给我调杯马丁尼 |
[41:12] | Can’t you take him with you? | 带着他一起去嘛 |
[41:18] | Well, turns out, she had a few other instincts. | 没想到 她还有别的天性 |
[41:25] | Like sneaking gin, which we only keep around | 比如偷喝杜松子酒 我们家里放酒 |
[41:27] | for guests who might enjoy a cocktail. | 也只是为了照顾喜欢鸡尾酒的客人 |
[41:30] | Pepper? | 佩珀 |
[41:31] | What’s taking so long?! | 怎么这么慢啊 |
[41:38] | Pepper? | 佩珀 |
[41:55] | You’re spilling it. | 都洒出来了 |
[41:57] | Where’s the little onion? | 怎么没放洋葱片 |
[41:59] | Oh, for Christ’s sake, | 得了 |
[42:00] | set it down on the nightstand. | 放在床头柜上吧 |
[42:01] | Set it down. | 放好 |
[42:13] | Jesus Christ! | 老天啊 |
[42:16] | If there was some way you could make money | 如果那小怪物的叫声 |
[42:17] | off of that freak’s screams or that thing’s face, | 和他的脸能挣钱 |
[42:20] | we’d be millionaires. | 我们早就成富翁了 |
[42:21] | Just take the baby downstairs. | 把孩子带楼下去 |
[42:26] | You and him can watch the TV. | 你和他可以一起看电视 |
[42:31] | The TV. | 电视 |
[42:35] | Do you know how to turn on the TV? | 你会开电视吗 |
[42:40] | Come on, get up. | 快站起来 |
[42:42] | Come on, come on, we’re going downstairs. | 快点 我们下楼去 |
[42:44] | Let’s go! | 快走 |
[42:45] | And then there was the obsession with my husband. | 而且 她一直垂涎我丈夫 |
[42:49] | Scheming ways to get alone with him. | 想方设法跟他独处 |
[42:51] | I’ll show her. | 我带她下去 |
[42:53] | You just can’t wait to get alone with her, can you? | 你就是等不及跟她独处呢 是吧 |
[42:59] | Some women just shouldn’t have kids. | 有些女人不该生孩子 |
[43:06] | Pretty soon, she’s walking around without any clothes on. | 过了不久 她干脆在家裸奔了 |
[43:11] | Bare-ass naked. | 光屁股 |
[43:13] | Can you believe it? | 能相信吗 |
[43:15] | “Obsessed… | 对监护人丈夫 |
[43:18] | with husband.” | 有异常迷恋 |
[43:24] | Truthfully, | 老实说 |
[43:25] | a lot of our patients here, they… | 我们这儿很多病人 |
[43:28] | they suffer with a, um… | 都有… |
[43:32] | …A lack of inhibition. | 欲望难抑的毛病 |
[43:34] | But the… the shock therapy helps with that. | 但是电击疗法会解决这一点 |
[43:37] | And the… and the caning helps, too. | 鞭笞也有帮助 |
[43:44] | Well, do they help with the killer’s instinct? | 那能解决杀手天性吗 |
[43:46] | ‘Cause that’s what she has. | 因为她就有这毛病 |
[43:49] | She’s a murderer. | 她是个凶手 |
[43:52] | My very own sister. | 我的亲妹妹啊 |
[43:53] | Oh, dear. | 天呐 |
[43:56] | Oh, no. I-I-I… um… | 不…我… |
[44:00] | I-I need to ask you to describe exactly what happened. | 我得请你详述一下事情经过 |
[44:06] | Well, thankfully, neither of us actually saw what happened. | 幸好 我们并没亲眼看到事情经过 |
[44:18] | Where do you think you’re going? | 你这是要去哪 |
[44:21] | I thought we should go to the Lamplight. | 我想我们可以去灯火餐厅 |
[44:27] | Have some steaks. | 吃牛排 |
[44:31] | Have a bottle of wine. | 喝红酒 |
[44:37] | Like real people. | 像正常人那样 |
[44:40] | Aren’t you afraid that mongoloid with the baby? | 你就不担心那个白痴一个人在家带孩子吗 |
[44:43] | Might drop it on its head and kill it. | 或许会把他头冲下摔在地上 害死他 |
[44:45] | Which wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen. | 那倒也不算坏事 |
[44:46] | I don’t want to talk about them. | 我不想提他们 |
[44:47] | Listen, Rita. | 听我说 丽塔 |
[44:49] | Rita, Rita. | 丽塔 丽塔 |
[44:50] | Rita, goddamn it, this is no life! | 丽塔 这哪叫过日子 |
[44:53] | Just a constant smell of that baby Frankenstein’s shit, | 满屋子都是那个小怪物的屎尿味儿 |
[44:57] | ’cause that thing is too dumb to wash diapers. | 就因为那个大怪物蠢得不会洗尿布 |
[44:59] | With her ugly mug and elephant ears and the smiling– | 那张丑脸象耳 成天傻笑 |
[45:04] | “Pepper good girl, Pepper good girl.” | “佩珀是个好姑娘哦” |
[45:07] | It’s like a permanent freak show around here. | 简直像一直在上演畸形秀 |
[45:08] | You think I’m any happier?! | 你以为我开心吗 |
[45:10] | Stuck in here with them all day in, day out! | 整天跟他们一起困在家里 |
[45:15] | Day in, day out… | 没有个完 |
[45:17] | She’s so dumb, I hurt. | 她蠢得我疼得慌 |
[45:21] | And he makes me want to squeeze the life | 他半数的时候 |
[45:23] | out of his little baby body half the time. | 烦得我想掐死他 |
[45:29] | So… | 那么 |
[45:32] | you and I, we’re on the same page about this. | 我们对这件事的意见一致喽 |
[45:37] | You never bonded with that baby. | 你对那孩子根本没有感情 |
[45:40] | Admit it. | 承认吧 |
[45:42] | Say, “I never bonded with that baby.” | 说”我对那孩子根本毫无感情” |
[45:46] | Say it. | 说啊 |
[45:50] | I never bonded with that baby. | 我对那孩子根本毫无感情 |
[45:53] | Me, I’d be happy to see the two of them gone. | 我很希望他俩都消失 |
[45:56] | Gone? | 消失 |
[45:57] | As in…? | 什么意思 |
[46:02] | I could never murder my own sister. | 我不能杀我亲妹妹 |
[46:04] | N-N-N-No, hear me out. | 不不 听我说完 |
[46:07] | What if I had a way to kill two birds with one stone? | 如果我们可以一石二鸟呢 |
[46:14] | I was at the park with the baby all afternoon. | 我一整个下午都在公园带孩子 |
[46:19] | I was worn out, | 我累坏了 |
[46:20] | so I asked her to please give him his bath. | 于是便叫她给他洗澡 |
[47:34] | She snapped his little ears off. | 她拧下了他的小耳朵 |
[47:37] | Drowned him in his tub. | 把他淹死在了浴缸里 |
[47:39] | Then went downstairs to watch her show. | 然后又回到楼下去看电视 |
[47:58] | She killed him! | 她杀了他 |
[47:59] | She killed him! She killed him… | 她杀了他 她杀了他 |
[48:01] | Oh, God. | 天呐 |
[48:02] | Oh, God! | 天呐 |
[48:06] | He’s gone! He’s gone, he’s gone. | 他死了 他死了 |
[48:32] | She ruined my life. | 她毁了我的生活 |
[48:34] | You must never | 你们一定 |
[48:36] | ever let her out of here. | 永远不能放她出去 |
[49:08] | Self-pity will get you nowhere. | 自怨自艾对你毫无益处 |
[49:14] | Any more of that and… | 你再这样 |
[49:15] | I’ll put you in a scalding bath. | 我就让你洗烫水澡了 |
[49:19] | Then you’ll really feel sorry for yourself. | 到时你就真要难过了 |
[49:24] | I need to get you out of this thing. | 我得给你脱下来 |
[49:27] | I have to put you in the decontamination shower. | 我得让你洗消毒澡 |
[49:29] | What you did– | 你做的事 |
[49:31] | that’s one of the worst ever things I’ve heard. | 是我听过的最可怕的一件事了 |
[49:34] | Maybe in my whole life. | 没有比这更可怕的了 |
[49:36] | It made me throw up. | 我都吐了 |
[49:38] | Actually… throw up. | 我真的吐了 |
[49:43] | Baby. | 宝宝 |
[49:46] | Baby. | 宝宝 |
[49:47] | Yes, that’s right. You killed a baby. | 是啊 你杀了个小宝宝 |
[49:51] | And that poor mother. | 他可怜的母亲 |
[49:53] | You ruined her life. | 你毁了她的生活 |
[49:56] | Baby Lucas. | 卢卡斯小宝宝 |
[49:58] | Yes, that’s the baby’s name. Lucas. | 是啊 他是叫卢卡斯 |
[50:03] | Lucas. | 卢卡斯 |
[50:08] | Oh, my heavens. | 天呐 |
[50:10] | Is this… | 你是… |
[50:12] | Are you… | 你是… |
[50:14] | Is that real? | 你是真心的吗 |
[50:18] | Do I see real remorse in your eyes? | 你真的悔过了吗 |
[50:23] | Is redemption closer than I thought? | 或许救赎比我想的要容易 |
[50:29] | Oh, thank You, dear Lord, | 谢谢你 主啊 |
[50:32] | for Your lesson in humility. | 多谢您教我谦卑 |
[50:42] | Since Sister Priscilla left, | 普里西拉修女走后 |
[50:44] | we’ve had no one to tidy things up in here. | 这里就没人收拾了 |
[50:48] | Why don’t you start by making piles. | 你先分堆吧 |
[50:52] | Life… | 《生活》杂志 |
[50:54] | in the Life pile. | 堆成一堆 |
[50:57] | National Geographic… | 《国家地理》 |
[50:59] | in another pile. | 另放一堆 |
[51:01] | Reader’s Digest… | 《读者文摘》 |
[51:04] | in another. | 再放一堆 |
[51:19] | You… | 你 |
[51:20] | are my special project. | 就是我的特别项目 |
[51:24] | No filthy toilet scrubbing. | 不用去刷厕所 |
[51:27] | I am determined to bring out the best in you. | 我一定要唤起你善良的一面 |
[51:36] | Maybe soon you can work in the bakery with me. | 或许很快 你就可以跟我一起去面包房工作了 |