英文名称:Amazing Grace
年代:2006
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:54] | Get up! Up! Get up! Come on, you lazy nag! | 起来 快起来 你这匹懒惰的老家伙! |
[02:01] | Stop a moment! | 停一下! |
[02:06] | Go on! | 快点! |
[02:09] | Go on! | 快点! |
[02:12] | Wilber, Wilber, you’re not well enough. | 威尔伯 威尔伯 你身体状况可不好 |
[02:16] | Go on, you lazy draggard! For once, let it pass. | 就这一回 随它去吧 |
[02:22] | If you leave your horse alone for an hour, he might recover. | 要是你让它休息一个小时 它可能自然就恢复了 |
[02:28] | And who the hell are you? | 你到底是谁啊? |
[02:34] | I’ve seen him speak in London. That’s William Wilberforce. | 我在伦敦看过他的演讲 他是威廉·威尔伯福斯 |
[02:53] | -Now what? -Leave it. | -现在怎么办? -别管它 |
[03:06] | -Welcome home, sir. -You’re so late! | -欢迎您回来 先生 -你来得太晚了! |
[03:11] | The mud stole half a day. | 路上的泥浆耽误了我半天时间 |
[03:15] | But, Marianne, look. I have a surprise for you. | 不过玛丽安 看 我有个惊喜给你 |
[03:19] | -I hope a pleasant one. -Wilber! Wilber, is that you? | -希望是个漂亮的东西 -威尔伯 威尔伯 是你吗? |
[03:24] | Ah, it is. Half of me. My idiotic body’s playing games with me again. | 算是吧 半个我 我那见鬼的身体又在和我对着干了 |
[03:28] | -I promised we’d make him well. -You must come and eat something. | -我们保证帮你把它处理好 -来吃点东西吧 |
[03:31] | A breakfast, perhaps. Not too early. I’m on holiday. | 我想是早餐 别弄太早了 我可正在休假 |
[03:35] | Isn’t that right, Cousin Henry? | 对吧 亨利表哥? |
[03:38] | Don’t you boys talk to each other? Haven’t you told him he’s killing himself? | 你没对其他人说过吗? 你没告诉过他们他想要自杀? |
[03:43] | Now he’s with us. He’ll be fine. | 现在他和我们一起 他会好起来的 |
[04:28] | What time is it? | 几点了? |
[04:31] | This is your 3:00 a.m. Dose. | 凌晨3点 你该服药了 |
[04:34] | So, Cousin, you’re waking me up to give me medicine to help me sleep. | 所以 表哥 你把我叫醒然后又给我吃助眠的药 |
[04:39] | Now you’re taking on the medical profession as well as everyone else. | 现在你跟其它所有人一样 可以从事医疗职业了 |
[04:51] | Did you sleep? | 你刚在睡觉吗? |
[04:53] | Sleep is more exhausting than being awake. | 睡着比醒着还累 |
[04:57] | The laudanum will sharpen your dreams. | 这些鸦片酊能让你做个美梦 |
[04:59] | It replays my life to mock me | 梦重演我的过去 嘲笑着我 |
[05:02] | and shows me things I should have done, but didn’t. | 展示着我应该完成却失败了的事情 |
[05:04] | Wilber, Parliament doesn’t deserve you. | 威尔伯 国会不值得你这样 |
[05:08] | Your last bill was defeated because four of your loyal supporters | 你最后的议案被否决 就是因为你的四个忠实的拥护者 |
[05:12] | took free tickets to a comic opera rather than stay to vote. | 拿着免费门票去看喜剧表演 而不是留在那为你投票 |
[05:16] | In my dreams, I turned over their tables. | 在我的梦里 我掀翻了他们的桌子 |
[05:24] | But you know the worst thing? I can’t sing anymore. | 但你知道最坏的是什么吗? 是我再也不能唱歌了 |
[05:28] | You remember how well I used to sing? | 你记得以前我唱得有多棒吗? |
[05:30] | Marianne and I will find a way to restore your voice. | 我和玛丽安会设法恢复你的嗓音的 |
[06:07] | The Romans believed this water would restore the dead to life. | 罗马人相信这种水能够起死回生 |
[06:12] | Most pump water I’ve investigated works in the opposite direction. | 但我调查过的大部分都是效果相反 |
[06:19] | So… | 所以呢? |
[06:22] | -what was so urgent? -Did I say it was urgent? | -什么事那么急迫? -我说过这很急迫吗? |
[06:28] | Marianne, are you expecting someone else? | 玛丽安 你在等人吗? |
[06:35] | Inside this building, you will find the secret of health and happy life. | 在这座房子里 你会找到拥有健康快乐生活的秘诀 |
[06:40] | In a glass of water? | 就在一杯水里? |
[06:42] | You may have noticed, Wilber, | 你可能早就注意到了 |
[06:44] | since I married Marianne, I have been a picture of health. | 自从我娶了玛丽安 我整个人就健康得不得了 |
[06:48] | -I’m very happy for you. -It is, uh…It is almost a scientific fact | -我真为你高兴 -这可是…可是科学事实 |
[06:51] | marriage and health are twins. Inseparable. | 婚姻和健康两者是不可分割的 |
[06:55] | Single men wither away and die in rooms that smell of feet and armpits. | 单身汉日渐衰老 最后死在充满脚臭和腋窝气味的屋子里 |
[07:00] | Henry, what are you babbling on about? | 亨利 你一直在喋喋不休什么? |
[07:02] | Love, Wilberforce. Come. Come, we’re late. | 爱情 威尔伯福斯 走吧 走吧 我们要迟到了 |
[07:06] | The water has been here a million years. How can we be late? | 水在这儿已经存在了上百万年 我们怎么会迟到呢? |
[07:10] | -So what shall we discuss next? -I don’t know. | -接下来我们要讨论什么? -不知道 |
[07:14] | The abolition of the slave trade. How about that? | 奴隶贸易的废除 怎么样? |
[07:17] | Marianne, if I’d known you were so starved of political conversation | 玛丽安 如果我早知道你这么热衷于政治话题 |
[07:22] | I’d have wrapped up a Tory and sent him to your home by mail for you | 我就把个保守党党员打包然后邮寄到你们家 |
[07:25] | to shout at. | 让它对着你叫 |
[07:27] | Ah! Now, look at that! | 看那边 |
[07:29] | Here we are in the middle of discussing the abolition of the slave trade… | 我们正在这里讨论奴隶贸易的废除 |
[07:33] | and in walks my husband with William Wilberforce himself | 我的丈夫和威廉·威尔伯福斯走过来了 |
[07:36] | the most committed abolitionist in England | 他(威尔伯福斯)是全英国最热忱的废奴主义者 |
[07:40] | and also, of course, the most unmarried. | 最重要的 是他未婚 |
[07:46] | Oh. Look over there. It’s Marianne. | 快看哪 是玛丽安 |
[07:51] | And who’s the charming-looking woman with her? | 和她一起的那个美丽迷人的姑娘是谁? |
[07:53] | -Marianne’s here? -Never mind about her. | -玛丽安也在这? -不用理会她 |
[07:56] | Look at the woman she’s with…Barbara Spooner. | 看看和她一起的那姑娘 芭芭拉·史普纳 |
[07:59] | Very committed to very many good causes. | 对多项崇高事业都很热衷 |
[08:02] | And also, entirely unmarried. | 而且也绝对是单身 |
[08:09] | Marianne, you’re outrageous! | 玛丽安 你太过分了! |
[08:13] | I do not need you or anyone else to find a wife for me! | 我可不需要你或是其它的什么人为我物色一位妻子! |
[08:29] | Carriage! Carriage over here! | 马车! 往这停! |
[08:43] | -I’ll never forgive him. -I’ll never forgive her. | -我可不会原谅他 -我可不会原谅她 |
[08:50] | However, Mr. Wilberforce, if we had met in other circumstances… | 不过 威尔伯福斯先生 如果我们是在其它的场合碰面 |
[08:55] | I would have told you how deeply I admire your tireless efforts | 我一定会告诉你 我有多崇拜你所做的不辞辛劳的抗争 |
[08:59] | to force our ridiculous Parliament to abolish the slave trade. | 来迫使我们荒诞的国会废除奴隶贸易 |
[09:03] | And if you had, I would have changed the subject and talked about botany. | 真是这样的话 我会换个话题 比如讨论植物学 |
[09:06] | Botany? Why botany? | 植物学? 为什么? |
[09:09] | Anything but politics. | 除了政治问题我什么都谈 |
[09:11] | I’m in Bath to be cured of politics. | 我正在巴斯市治疗政治带给我的创伤 |
[09:13] | Well, I would have been bored by botany. | 我一定会厌倦植物学的 |
[09:15] | So, even in other circumstances, it would have been a disaster. | 所以 就算在其它的场合 这还是会成为一场灾难 |
[09:23] | -Good day to you. -Good day to you. | -祝您好运 -祝您好运 |
[10:08] | Some simple truths about this horrendous war | 关于这场可怕的战争 为了我们尊敬的朋友们的利益 |
[10:11] | need to be restated for the benefit of my honorable friends. | 有一些简单的真相需要被重新揭示出来 |
[10:15] | Simple fact. We have the rebels on the anvil and a hammer in our hands. | 事实很简单 我们正准备抗争 我们的手中握着铁锤 |
[10:22] | There is no question that our military force | 毫无疑问 我们的军队力量 |
[10:25] | is far superior to that of the Americans. | 远远胜于美国 |
[10:28] | But we must distinguish between force and justice. | 但我们必须分清军队和正义 |
[10:32] | Where did this little bloody terrier spring from? | 这只乱吠的狗是从哪里冒出来的? |
[10:35] | I believe he’s a Yorkshire terrier, my lord. | 他应该是从约克郡来的 法官大人 |
[10:37] | …madmen rather than able statesmen. | …疯子,而不是有能力的政治家 |
[10:40] | Surely it is time for the fat fellow and his friends opposite | 当然 现在轮到这个胖伙计和他对面的朋友 |
[10:44] | to make way for others who consider the good of their country | 来为那些真正考虑到国家利益的人们辩护 |
[10:47] | of greater moment than their own personal interests. | 这是超越他们个人利益的伟大时刻 |
[10:52] | Doesn’t he know what dangers await | 他不知道会有什么样的危险 |
[10:54] | anyone who talks sense in this place? | 等着那些在这个地方抒发感情的人吗? |
[10:56] | Oh, I think he’s equal to the dangers. | 我觉得他本身就是危险 |
[10:58] | My honorable friend suggests we surrender to the revolutionaries. | 我们尊贵的朋友希望我们能从革命中撤退 |
[11:03] | Revolution is like a pox…it spreads from person to person. | 但革命就和瘟疫一样 一个接一个地传播开来 |
[11:08] | I bow to my honorable friend’s superior knowledge | 我的尊贵朋友所拥有的广泛知识和宝贵经验 让我不得不 |
[11:11] | and experience in all matters regarding the pox. | 向他们对瘟疫的重视低头 |
[11:24] | Why would we withdraw from America | 在一半以上的美国人仍然决定效忠皇室的时候 |
[11:27] | when half of the Americans are loyal to the Crown? | 我们为什么要从美国撤军? |
[11:30] | Less than one in four Americans are loyal. | 忠诚的美国人还不到四分之一 |
[11:34] | If he calls that half, | 如果他把那称作是一半 |
[11:35] | I’d hate to be his wife and share half his bed. | 我为他的妻子感到遗憾 她只能睡”一半”的床 |
[11:41] | Mr. Foreign Secretary. | 外交部长先生 |
[11:43] | Perhaps my honorable and young friend should explain to the House | 我尊敬的年轻朋友应该向议会 |
[11:46] | the difference between appeasement and surrender. | 解释下妥协和撤退两者之间的不同 |
[11:50] | Hear! Hear! | 听啊 听啊 |
[11:56] | The difference between appeasement and surrender is merely a matter of time… | 妥协和撤退之间的不同 其实只是个时间问题 |
[12:02] | and perhaps 10,000 more young lives wasted | 10000多条年轻的生命 |
[12:05] | for no reason. | 没有理由就这样浪费了 |
[12:15] | Go on | 出牌 |
[12:17] | Two guineas. | 2几尼 (几尼:英国的旧金币 值一镑一先令) |
[12:19] | Ah, sweet Prospero, why hast thou forsaken me? | 普洛斯彼罗甜心 为什么你要抛弃我? |
[12:24] | Ah. Brave in the House, but at the table, a mouse. | 议会辩论时勇敢无比 在桌子上却胆小如鼠 |
[12:29] | Your Grace, you know these merchant boys are richer than we are. | 大人 你知道这些商人比我们有钱多了去了吗 |
[12:39] | Aye. I have 10 guineas left. | …我只剩10几尼了 |
[12:44] | So 10 it is. | 这有10个 |
[12:47] | In or out, Wilberforce? | 加入还是出局 威尔伯福斯? |
[13:01] | -A pencil and paper. -No, no, no. | -纸和笔 -不 不 不 |
[13:03] | Brook’s Club house rules…no I.O.U.s. | 布鲁克斯俱乐部的规定是 不能写借据 |
[13:05] | Amongst gentlemen, perhaps. But Wilberforce is a tradesman. | 在绅士中或许是这样 但威尔伯福斯是个商人 |
[13:09] | You gamble with what you have with you. | 你就赌你身上有的东西就行了 |
[13:14] | Wilberforce, will you take my I.O.U.? | 威尔伯福斯 你能帮我开借据吗? |
[13:22] | We split the pot and call it evens. | 我们就开诚布公地说吧 |
[13:24] | To hell with that. Payment in kind. | 让那见鬼去吧 我们实物支付 |
[13:27] | There’s nothing you have I’d want, Your Grace. | 你的东西里面没有我想要的 大人 |
[13:33] | Tarleton, fetch my nigger. | 泰尔顿 把我的黑鬼带来 |
[13:41] | My coach driver…go wake him up and bring him in now! | 车夫 过去叫醒他 然后马上把他带进来 |
[13:52] | I bought a nigger in Port of Spain. | 我在西班牙港口买了个黑鬼 |
[13:55] | He eats better than I do, so he’s strong as an ox. | 他吃得比我还好 所以他跟一头公牛一样壮 |
[13:58] | He’d fetch at least 25 guineas at the West India dock. | 他在西印度码头至少赚了25几尼 |
[14:01] | The game is over. | 游戏结束了 |
[14:08] | What’s wrong, Wilberforce? | 怎么了 威尔伯福斯? |
[14:10] | If I hadn’t brought the boy to London… | 如果我没把那男孩带回伦敦的话 |
[14:13] | he’d have been worked to death in a sugar cane field by now. | 他早就因为在甘蔗田里的劳累工作而死掉了 |
[14:16] | I saved his miserable life. There. | 我拯救了他悲惨的生命 那儿 |
[14:24] | I raise the stakes. | 我增加赌注 |
[14:33] | Wilberforce. In the game or out? | 威尔伯福斯 加入游戏还是出局? |
[14:51] | Evening. | 晚上好 |
[15:03] | You act as if you’d never seen slavery before. | 你看起来好像是从没见过奴隶 |
[15:06] | For me it’s like arsenic. Each new tiny dose doubles the effect. | 对我来说那就跟砒霜一样 一点点就有成倍的作用 |
[15:21] | -You’re not afraid of Clarence? -Because he’s the son of the king? | -你不怕克莱伦斯? -就因为他是国王的儿子? |
[15:26] | So…you want bloody noses and cracked crowns? | 所以 你想用暴力对抗皇权吗? |
[15:31] | -Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth. -A play about England changing. | -莎士比亚 亨利四世 -演绎着英格兰的变化 |
[15:35] | -As it will soon change. -Only if we change it. | -它不久将又会改变 -除非我们去改变它 |
[15:41] | You don’t believe you and I could change things? | 你不相信我们俩能改变这一切吗? |
[15:45] | I would change myself first. | 我首先得改变自己 |
[16:01] | Do you remember, Billy, at Cambridge | 你还记得吗 比利 在剑桥的时候 |
[16:04] | I had a reputation as something of a singer? | 让我引以为傲的 是我唱歌还不赖? |
[16:07] | I do remember. | 我当然记得 |
[16:09] | So I think I’m going to go and sing them a song. | 所以我们应该去为他们唱首歌 |
[16:22] | Silence! | 安静! |
[16:27] | Silence! | 安静! |
[16:33] | You sound like a chorus of bloody tomcats. | 你们唱的 听起来就像是一群受伤雄猫的合唱 |
[16:37] | Now, let me introduce you to somebody who does it properly. | 现在 让我来介绍一个能做好这件事的人 |
[16:46] | I would like to dedicate this song to my honorable friend | 我想把这首歌献给我尊敬的朋友 |
[16:49] | His Grace, the Duke of Clarence. | 克莱伦斯公爵大人 |
[16:52] | It was written by my old preacher. | 这歌是一位年老的传教士写的 |
[16:55] | He was captain of a slave ship for 20 years. | 他在一艘运送奴隶的船上当了20年的船长 |
[16:58] | He repented his sins, and then he wrote this song. | 他为所犯下的罪行忏悔 于是写下了这首歌 |
[17:10] | -Times are hard for the militant boys. -How sweet the sound, my arse! | -军队里的日子可真难熬啊! -这声音可真美妙! |
[18:33] | Dear God, I know this is utterly absurd | 仁慈的上帝 我知道这确实很可笑 |
[18:36] | but I feel I have to meet You in secret. | 可我觉得应该私下和你见上一面 |
[18:43] | Sorry to interrupt, sir. There is a beggar at the kitchen door. | 抱歉打断你 先生 在厨房门口有个乞丐 |
[18:47] | Uh, I would turn him away, sir, but you insisted I always check. | 我会把他打发走的 先生 但你总是坚持要亲自过问 |
[18:53] | Uh, just give him breakfast. | 就给他一顿早饭吧 |
[18:56] | Very good, sir. | 好的 先生 |
[19:04] | -Richard? -Sir? | -理查德? -是的? |
[19:08] | I know that lying down on the wet grass is not a normal thing to do. | 我知道躺在潮湿的草地上不是正常人会做的事 |
[19:13] | None of my business, sir. | 这与我无关 先生 |
[19:17] | Truth is, uh… | 事实上… |
[19:22] | I’ve been even more strange than usual lately, haven’t I? | …我最近变得比以前更古怪了 是吗? |
[19:27] | Uh…It’s God. | 是上帝啊 |
[19:30] | I have 10,000 engagements of state today | 今天我有10000场与政府的交战 |
[19:32] | but I would prefer to spend the day out here getting a wet arse | 但我更享受在这一天在把屁股弄湿 |
[19:35] | studying dandelions and marveling at bloody spiders’ webs. | 研究蒲公英 惊叹嗜血蜘蛛所织的网 |
[19:40] | You found God, sir? | 这么说你找到上帝了 先生? |
[19:46] | I think He found me. | 我觉得是他找到了我 |
[19:49] | You have any idea how inconvenient that is? | 你知道那样多不方便吗? |
[19:54] | How idiotic it will sound? | 听起来有多愚蠢吗? |
[19:57] | I have a political career glittering ahead of me | 我的政治事业前程远大 |
[20:00] | and in my heart I want spiders’ webs. | 而在我内心深处却渴望着蜘蛛的网 |
[20:15] | It is a sad fate for a man too well known to everybody else | “一个人最悲惨的命运是 离开这世界时被所有人所熟知 |
[20:19] | and still unknown to himself.” | 但却始终不了解自己” |
[20:24] | Francis Bacon. | 弗兰西斯·培根 |
[20:27] | I don’t just dust your books, sir. | 我可不光是弄脏了你的书 先生 |
[20:32] | When I was 15, I almost ran away with the circus. | 在我15岁那年 我差点跟着马戏团离开 |
[20:36] | They said I could have been an acrobat. | 因为他们说我能成为一个杂技演员 |
[20:42] | -Good morning, Mr. Pitt. -Morning. | -早上好 彼特先生 -早上好 |
[20:49] | Excuse me, sir. | 打扰一下 先生 |
[21:00] | You read my letter. | 你读了我的信 |
[21:02] | The man who wrote that letter was not you. | 写那封信的人可不是你 |
[21:06] | It was written by some wild preacher…man that has gotten into your head. | 那是一些占据了你脑海的疯狂传教士写的 |
[21:10] | No. | 不是的 |
[21:16] | -So… did he reply? -Who? | -那他回信了吗? -谁? |
[21:20] | God. | 当然是上帝 |
[21:21] | You said you were going to ask God whether you should take up politics or religion. | 你说过要去问他你是该投身于政治 还是献身宗教事业 |
[21:25] | You’re always too direct, Billy. | 你总那么直来直去 比利 |
[21:27] | I urgently need to know where your heart lies, Wilber. | 我急切地想知道你的心到底在何处 威尔伯 |
[21:30] | -What’s urgent? -I… | -有什么紧急的事情? -我… |
[21:38] | I’m planning to become Prime Minister. | 我打算当首相 |
[21:43] | -Oh, some day. -No. I mean soon. Very soon. | -未来某个时候 -不 我是说不久 很快 |
[21:50] | Thanks to your performances in the House, | 感谢你在议会辩论中的精彩表现 |
[21:52] | Fox and North will have no choice but to resign. | 福克斯和诺思将会辞职 |
[21:54] | When they do, Lord Brockingham will become Prime Minister. | 罗金汉姆大法官将会成为新任首相 |
[21:57] | Lord Brockingham’s health is not good. | 罗金汉姆大法官的身体状况一直不好 |
[22:00] | When he dies, I will make my move. | 要是他死了 我就接替他的位置 |
[22:04] | -You’ve worked it all out. -I want you beside me, Wilber | -你都计划好了 -我还需要你的协助 威尔伯 |
[22:07] | all the way. | 一向如此 |
[22:09] | You read my letter, but you’ve not taken in a word of it. | 你读了我的信 但一个字都没听进去 |
[22:11] | I would have you in my government in whichever capacity you choose. | 你可以在我的政府中担任任何一个你喜欢的职位 |
[22:17] | Billy, no one of our age has ever taken power. | 比利 我们这个年龄的人从来没有掌过权 |
[22:21] | Which is why we’re too young to realize that certain things are impossible. | 那是因为我们太年轻 而没有意识到某些事情是不可能的 |
[22:27] | So we will do them anyway. | 不管怎样我们得去试一试 |
[22:31] | I need an answer, Wilber. | 我需要一个答案 威尔伯 |
[22:34] | Do you intend to use your beautiful voice to praise the Lord… | 你是想用你那动人的嗓音来赞颂大法官 |
[22:40] | or change the world? | 还是改变这个世界? |
[22:46] | Here. Can you cut this out? | 这里 把这个切掉行吗? |
[22:49] | -I can’t. I’ve got too much to do! -You take care of them. | -不行啊 我手上有太多事情要做了 -你自己做吧 |
[22:53] | Have you got any more flour? | 多点面粉吗? |
[22:55] | -Oh, I can’t. -…move your elbow away | -我做不到! -把你的手肘拿开 |
[23:01] | Marjorie, Mr. Wilberforce on his way down. | 玛乔里 威尔伯福斯先生正在回来的路上 |
[23:15] | Marjorie, uh, I’m expecting some people for dinner. | 玛乔里 我正等着一些人用餐 |
[23:23] | Marjorie? Marjorie. | 玛乔里? 玛乔里 |
[23:28] | -She’s been run off her feet, sir. -How so? | -她已经精疲力尽了 先生 -怎么了? |
[23:30] | Well, take today, for example. You have 25 guests for lunch. | 就拿今天来说 您午餐要请25位客人 |
[23:34] | Do I? | 是吗? |
[23:43] | If you remember, you decided to reward various volunteers | 如果你还记得的话 你该知道你决定嘉奖很大一批志愿者 |
[23:47] | who worked for some quite precariously financed charities. | 他们在收入微薄的慈善机构工作 |
[23:51] | Some brought deserving children from the poorhouse. | 有的带来了该受到奖赏的孩子 |
[23:54] | Others brought less deserving relatives. | 有的带来了不是很该得到奖赏的亲戚 |
[23:57] | Well, I really should get some sort of… | 我的确应该再拿一点… |
[23:59] | Diary, sir. Yes. Or more cooks. | 奶制品 先生 是的 或者多点食品 |
[24:15] | Is that the appetizer? | 那是开胃菜吗? |
[24:18] | No, that’s His Grace, the Duke of Clarence. | 不 那是尊敬的克莱伦斯公爵 |
[24:24] | Wilberforce. The Reverend John Ramsay. | 威尔伯福斯 这位是约翰·拉姆塞主教 |
[24:27] | Reverend. | 主教 |
[24:29] | Edward Hope. Mr. Hope. | 爱德华·霍普 |
[24:32] | And Michael Shaw. Both friends. | 还有麦克·肖 都是朋友 |
[24:36] | -This is Olaudah Equiano. -Mr. Equiano. Please. | -这位是奥兰达·厄奎亚诺 -厄奎亚诺先生 请进 |
[24:43] | -You’ve traveled far to be here? -No distance would be too great. | -到这来一定是路途遥远吧? -没有比这更远的了 |
[24:49] | -And this is Hannah Moore. -Good evening. -Mr. Wilberforce. | -还有这位是汉纳·穆尔 -晚上好 -威尔伯福斯先生 |
[24:54] | Who has traveled all the way from Clapham | 他可是从克拉彭赶过来的 |
[24:57] | Finally, let me introduce Mr. Thomas Clarkson. | 最后 请容我介绍下这位 托马斯·克拉克森 |
[25:00] | Beautiful house. Sweet little rabbit. | 真是匹漂亮的马 还有可爱的小兔子 |
[25:06] | -It’s a hare, actually. -Ah. | 事实上 那只是只野兔 |
[25:08] | Please. | 请进 |
[25:14] | So, come on…who are they? | 等一下 他们是谁啊? |
[25:17] | Why don’t you ask them? | 你怎么不问他们? |
[25:26] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[25:29] | Well, I hope the goose is tender. She was rather old. | 我希望这只鹅的肉能够嫩一点 她已经很老了 |
[25:33] | I find the older I get, the more tender I become | 我发觉 越老 我脾气变得越温和 |
[25:41] | So, Miss Moore, you live in Clapham. | 那个 穆尔小姐 您是住在克拉彭的吧 |
[25:46] | I hear it’s very tranquil there. | 我听说那里非常安宁 |
[25:49] | When certain issues are raised amongst my friends and I, | 当我和朋友之间某些问题加剧时 |
[25:52] | it is anything but tranquil. | 除了安宁也没什么其它的了 |
[25:54] | Ah. And, uh, which issues are those? | 那么 是些什么样的问题呢? |
[25:58] | Issues regarding the making of a better world. | 关心着如何建立美好世界的问题 |
[26:02] | Better in which way? | 在哪方面更好? |
[26:04] | If you make the world better in one way, | 假如你能让它在某一方面变得更好 |
[26:06] | it becomes better in every way | 那它每个方面都会变得很好 |
[26:08] | Don’t you think? | 难道不是吗? |
[26:13] | Mr. Equiano, what business brings you to London? | 厄奎亚诺先生 您来伦敦是为了什么工作呢? |
[26:16] | My business in London is you, Mr. Wilberforce. | 我的工作就是您 威尔伯福斯先生 |
[26:20] | What? You wish to discuss something with me? | 什么? 你想和我一起讨论吗? |
[26:23] | No. We do not want to talk | 不 我们并不想谈什么 |
[26:26] | because we hear that you are a man who doesn’t believe | 因为我们听说 你不会相信自己所听到的事 |
[26:31] | what he hears until he sees it with his own eyes. | 只相信自己亲眼看到的事实 |
[26:55] | These are for the legs. | 这些是用来拷脚的 |
[27:03] | These for the arms. | 这些是用来拷手的 |
[27:08] | This is for the neck. | 这是拷在脖子上的 |
[27:13] | Works like so. | 就像这样 |
[27:21] | When the slaves leave port in Africa, | 当奴隶们离开非洲的码头时 |
[27:24] | they’re locked into a space four foot by 18 inches. | 他们就被锁在一个4英尺18英寸的房间里 |
[27:27] | They have no sanitation, very little food, stagnant water. | 里面没有卫生设施 极少量的食品 死水 |
[27:32] | Their waste and blood fills the holds within three days | 他们的排泄物和血液在三天内就会浸满那些坑 |
[27:35] | and is never emptied. | 而且东西从来就不会被倒掉 |
[27:38] | These irons and chains are to keep them from throwing themselves overboard. | 这些镣铐和铁链是用来防止他们被甩出船外的 |
[27:43] | The chains are not unlocked until you reach the plantation in Jamaica. | 在到牙买加的种植园之前 他们的铁链是不能取下的 |
[27:49] | Around half of the slaves dead already. | 大概已经死了一半的奴隶 |
[27:54] | In the markets, they stuff knotted rope into the anuses | 在交易市场里 那些家伙用绳子 |
[27:57] | of those who are sick | 绑在生病的奴隶身上 |
[28:00] | to disguise the dysentery. | 来掩饰他们患上的痢疾 |
[28:04] | When you reach the plantation, they put irons to the fire… | 到了种植园之后 他们把镣铐扔进炉火中灼烧 |
[28:11] | and do this. | …然后就这样做 |
[28:14] | To let you know | 这是让你清楚 |
[28:15] | that you no longer belong to God, but to a man. | 现在开始你不是属于上帝 而是属于某个人了 |
[28:21] | Mr. Wilberforce, we understand you’re having problems | 威尔伯福斯先生 我们知道您正困恼 |
[28:26] | choosing whether to do the work of God | 是选择为上帝服务的宗教事业 |
[28:29] | or the work of a political activist. | 还是做一个政治活动积极分子 |
[28:35] | We humbly suggest that you can do both. | 我们衷心希望你能兼顾这两者 |
[29:08] | You planned this. | 原来你早就计划好了 |
[29:10] | I’ve seen the literature you’ve been reading. | 我看过你一直在读的文学作品 |
[29:13] | You’ve stooped to searching through my desk? | 你居然卑微到去搜查我的书桌? |
[29:16] | Sir William Dolben told me | 威廉·多本先生告诉我 |
[29:18] | you’d asked to be shown around the East India docks. | 你被邀请去参观东印度群岛的船坞 |
[29:26] | So… you would use my private concerns | 因此 你想借用我的私人关系 |
[29:29] | for your own political ends. | 来为你政治上的计划做点贡献 |
[29:31] | Yes, exactly that. | 是的 完全正确 |
[29:38] | Surely the principles of Christianity lead to action as well as meditation. | 基督教的原则可是沉思和行动并重 |
[29:42] | Oh, excellent point. | 精彩的观点 |
[29:43] | Allow me to meditate on it before I decide on any action. | 请允许我在决定任何行动之前 先好好思考一下 |
[29:45] | Just think about this, Wilber. | 好好想想吧 威尔伯 |
[29:49] | The slave trade has 300 M.P.S in its pocket. | 支持奴隶交易的势力掌握了300个议员 |
[29:54] | It would be just you against them. | 只有你在反对他们 |
[29:58] | But you could do it. | 也惟独你才能做到 |
[30:02] | You would do it. | 你行的 |
[30:25] | Oh, stop moaning. | 别叫唤了 |
[30:32] | Excuse me, sir? | 打扰一下 先生 |
[30:36] | Do you have a penny for a boy that went to fight the Yanks | 你能给一个跑去和美国佬打架 |
[30:39] | and came back half a man? | 回来身体只剩一半的男孩一便士吗 |
[30:59] | Hello, Mr. Newton. It’s me, William. | 你好 牛顿先生 是我 威廉 |
[31:03] | Hello, John. How are you? | 你好 约翰 最近怎么样? |
[31:09] | Hello, John. It’s me, Wilber. | 你好 约翰 是我 威尔伯 |
[31:14] | I’m here to seek your… | 我来这儿是想…. |
[31:32] | The beggar at the door assures me that I’m now old enough | 门前的那个乞丐让我确信 自己现在已经够老了 |
[31:36] | to call you John. | 可以叫你约翰了 |
[31:43] | You’re…dressing very simply these days. | 这几天你穿得还真是简单 |
[31:46] | I’m a simple man. | 我就是一个简单的人 |
[31:48] | I try to pretend I am a monk, but I don’t have the willpower. | 我假装成一个僧侣却没有足够的意志力 |
[31:52] | I’m a monk Mondays, Wednesdays… | 星期一 星期三…我就是一个僧侣 |
[31:55] | You know, when I read your name in the papers…doing these great things… | 当我在报纸上读到你的名字 知道你做了那么多伟大的事 |
[32:00] | I still see a tiny boy with his hair a mess… | 我还是只看到一个头发乱糟糟 |
[32:04] | and ink on his fingers. | 手指上沾有墨汁的小男孩 |
[32:09] | So, what do you want with your old preacher? | 那么 你想从这么一个老传教士这里得到什么呢? |
[32:14] | I’m here to seek your advice. | 我来这是想征求下你的意见 |
[32:16] | When you were a child, you used to ask God for advice. | 还是个孩子的时候 你常常向上帝寻求意见 |
[32:20] | Then I grew up. And grew foolish. | 然后我长大了 变得越来越愚蠢了 |
[32:24] | And now? | 那现在呢? |
[32:29] | Now…slowly, my faith is returning. | 现在…慢慢地 我的命运又轮回了 |
[32:33] | How slowly? | 有多慢? |
[32:36] | No bolts of lightning. | 跟闪电的速度差不多 |
[32:39] | Yeah. God sometimes does his work with gentle drizzle, not storms. | 有时上帝是在温和的小雨中完成工作 而不是在暴风雨里 |
[32:46] | Drip, drip, drip. | 滴嗒… 滴嗒… 滴嗒… |
[32:53] | My friend William Pitt has declared an interest in me. | 我的好友威廉·彼特在想法设法激起我的兴趣 |
[32:56] | William who? | 威廉什么? |
[33:00] | He’s offering me a place in the world. | 他将在这个世界中 为我留一席之地 |
[33:02] | Just make sure you’re in the world, not of the world. | 搞清楚你只是在这个世界中 而不是这个世界的一部分 |
[33:07] | There would be no escape from power once I have it. | 一旦拥有 你就很难逃离权力的控制 |
[33:11] | -I would have to see things through. -So why wouldn’t you? | -我应该把事情看得更透彻些 -那为什么不呢? |
[33:21] | Are you contemplating a life of solitude? | 你一直在向往孤独的生活吗? |
[33:28] | Wilber, you have work to do. | 威尔伯 你还有必须完成的工作 |
[33:31] | Besides, people like you too much | 而且 人们是那么的爱你 |
[33:36] | to let you live a life of solitude. | 绝对不会让你去过孤独的日子的 |
[33:38] | Haven’t you chosen solitude? | 你已经决定选择孤独了吗? |
[33:40] | You, of all people, should know I can never be alone. | 你 以及所有的人 都应该知道我从不孤单 |
[33:46] | There now. | 那就对了 |
[33:51] | -There now, what? -The other reason I came. | -对了什么? -我来这里是为了你 |
[33:56] | You told me that you live in the company of 20,000 ghosts, | 你给我说过 你曾和20000只幽灵一起居住 |
[34:01] | the ghosts of slaves. | 那些奴隶的幽灵 |
[34:07] | I was explaining to a child | 我曾对孩子解释 |
[34:11] | why a grown man cowers in a dark corner. | 一个成年人畏缩在黑暗角落的原因 |
[34:25] | I need you to tell me about them. | 我需要你给我讲讲关于他们的事 |
[34:27] | I’m not strong enough to hear my own confession. | 我可没那么坚强 来听我自己的招供 |
[34:32] | -I thought time might have changed you. -It has…I’m older. | -我还以为时间已经改变你了 -确实是 我变老了 |
[34:35] | Pitt has asked me to take them on…The slavers. | 彼特想利用我报复那些奴隶主 |
[34:39] | I’m the last person you should come to for advice. | 你根本就不该来向我寻求意见 |
[34:42] | I can’t even say the name of any of my ships | 我连任何一条船的名字都说不出来 |
[34:45] | without being back onboard them in my head. | 在我的脑海里 船还没有重新起航 |
[34:48] | All I know is, | 所有我知道的 |
[34:50] | 20,000 slaves live with me in this little church. | 就是和20000个奴隶一起住在这小教堂里 |
[34:54] | -There’s still blood on my hands. -Will you help me, John? | -我的双手依然沾满血迹 -你能帮帮我吗 约翰? |
[34:58] | I can’t help you. | 恐怕不行 |
[35:01] | But do it, Wilber. Do it. | 但你得去做 威尔伯 放手去做吧 |
[35:05] | Take them on. Blow their dirty, filthy ships out of the water. | 报复他们 把他们肮脏污秽的船只烧毁 |
[35:09] | The planters, sugar barons… | 那些种植园主 封为男爵的人 |
[35:12] | Alderman Sugarcane, the Lord Mayor of London… | “甘蔗田”市议员 伦敦市市长 |
[35:16] | Liverpool, Boston, Bristol, New York… | 利物浦 波士顿 布里斯托尔 纽约… |
[35:19] | all their streets running with blood, dysentery, puke! | 他们的街道上全是鲜血 痢疾 还有呕吐物! |
[35:26] | You won’t come away from those streets clean, Wilber. | 你不会走在干净的街道上 威尔伯 |
[35:30] | You’ll get filthy with it, you’ll dream it, | 你会被玷污 你会陷入梦魇之中 |
[35:34] | see it in broad daylight… | 即使是白天也一样 |
[35:37] | but do it…for God’s sake. | 但看在上帝的份上 去做吧 |
[35:48] | Sir, I have Mr. Thomas Clarkson. | 先生 托马斯·克拉克森先生来找您 |
[35:56] | Forgive me. Mr. Wilberforce was here a moment ago. | 我很抱歉 但威尔伯福斯先生刚刚还在这里 |
[36:00] | I better go and find him. | 我想我得去找找他 |
[36:22] | -Good afternoon. -Sorry if I alarmed you. | -下午好 -抱歉吓到你了 |
[36:27] | I had this box made up in the exact dimensions of a slave berth. | 我做了这个箱子 是奴隶睡的床铺的尺寸 |
[36:33] | I thought you could use it in your practical demonstrations. | 我想您可以用在您的示威游行中 |
[36:40] | Why did you wait until your butler had left before you got out of the box? | 您为什么要等到您的男管家离开后才从箱子里出来? |
[36:46] | They all think I’m mad already. | 因为他们都觉得我已经疯了 |
[36:50] | As will most people in the House of Commons | 就跟我提出议案时 |
[36:54] | when I present my bill. | 众议院里大多数人的反应一样 |
[37:04] | conditions in Jamaica are far more brutal | 威尔伯福斯 牙买加的情况 |
[37:07] | than I could have imagined. | 远远比我们想象中要糟 |
[37:10] | are scalded to death by the molten lava. | 很多孩子被沸腾的糖浆烫死 |
[37:15] | or roll into the fires in their sleep. | 其它的因疲劳致死 或是在睡觉时被火烧死 |
[37:21] | The result in the morning is a few pounds of pure, refined sugar.” | 而早上的成品 只是少量的精炼纯糖 |
[37:29] | Wilberforce, are you all right? | 威尔伯福斯 你还好吧? |
[37:35] | Sit up for me. | 先坐起来 |
[37:40] | Here, drink this. | 来 先把这喝了 |
[37:49] | -What happened? -I read James’s letter from Jamaica. | -发生了什么? -我读了詹姆士从牙买加的来信 |
[37:54] | When I fell asleep, it was as if I were living inside it. | 我一入睡 就好像置身其中 |
[37:59] | Perhaps the laudanum the doctor gave you is badly mixed. | 或许医生开的鸦片酊配得并不好 |
[38:03] | I know the effects of opium, Henry. | 我很清楚鸦片的效用 亨利 |
[38:06] | -This isn’t the medication. -What then? | -这不是药的原因 -那是什么? |
[38:10] | I was chosen for this task, and I failed. | 我接受了这项任务 最后却失败了 |
[38:15] | And some part of me does not accept the idea that I’ve given up. | 我还不能完全接受我所放弃的思想 |
[38:21] | -I’ll dilute this. -Can you dilute what I feel? | -我会稀释这个的 -你能稀释我的感受吗? |
[38:27] | You’ve given your youth and your health for this cause. | 你已经为这件事付出了你的青春和健康 |
[38:32] | It’s time to let someone else try. | 是时候让别人去干了 |
[38:56] | So, Mr. Wilberforce | 那个 威尔伯福斯先生.. |
[39:00] | I understand you have an interest in botany. | 我知道你对植物学很有兴趣 |
[39:05] | Botany, Miss Spooner? Whatever gives you the idea that I might be interested | 植物学 史普纳小姐? 我可不知道是谁告诉你 |
[39:10] | in something as tedious as botany? | 我对植物学这种无聊的东西感兴趣 |
[39:26] | Sorry. It’s a…private joke. | 抱歉 这只是个玩笑 |
[39:37] | Now, Wilber, I know you’re not interested in botany | 那个 威尔伯 我知道你对植物学一点兴趣也没有 |
[39:41] | but there’s a particularly fascinating creeping ivy… | 但在花园的那头 有一片相当迷人的常春藤 |
[39:45] | or something like that…at the far end of the garden. | 或那一类的植物 我搞不清 |
[39:47] | Barbara, you really must go and see it, too. | 芭芭拉 你也应该去看看 |
[39:50] | Go on. | 去吧 |
[39:59] | To irritate them, let’s pretend to argue. | 要想激怒他们 我们得假装在争吵 |
[40:03] | -What about? -Something we disagree on. | -关于什么? -一些我们想法不合的事情 |
[40:05] | Think of something. | 想一想 |
[40:08] | The war with France. | 比如法国战争 |
[40:11] | I think we should settle with Napoleon right now. | 我们现在可以谈谈拿破仑 |
[40:15] | So do I. Schools. | 我也这么认为 说说学校 |
[40:18] | I’m a member of your movement for free education. | 我参与了你实行免费教育的运动 |
[40:21] | I agreed with every word you said on the Dales factory debate. | 我同意你在溪谷地区工厂辩论中所说的每一句话 |
[40:25] | You read every word? | 你每一句都记下了? |
[40:29] | -No. -Neither did I. | -没有 -连我自己都没有 |
[40:33] | -Gin. -Replace it in the cities with beer. | -松子酒 -把城市里的全部换成啤酒 |
[40:38] | Absolutely. | 那当然 |
[40:42] | Well, I’m definitely alone in my opinions about the treatment of animals. | 完全没人赞同我对动物的看法 |
[40:45] | No. I joined your society for the prevention of cruelty. | 不 我加入了你动物保护组织的行列 |
[40:48] | Well, I’m extreme. | 我可是很极端的 |
[40:49] | I have a pet fox, a pet rat and a crow that can’t fly. | 我有一只宠物狐狸 宠物老鼠 还有只不能飞的乌鸦 |
[40:52] | I used to have a pet hare, but it died of kindness. | 我过去养了只宠物野兔 但它因为我的爱心而死 |
[40:55] | America. | 美国 |
[40:58] | We must reassess the power of the collective political process. | 我们必须重新审视集体政治斗争的力量 |
[41:02] | Agreed. | 同意 |
[41:03] | Oh, and of course we are agreed on slavery. | 还有 我们在奴隶制问题上的观点相同 |
[41:05] | I’m against flowers in church. What do you say to that? | 我反对在教堂里放花 你是怎么看的? |
[41:09] | I am for them. | 我是支持的 |
[41:13] | As am I. | 我也是 |
[41:18] | I shouldn’t talk about the slave trade? | 我不应该谈论奴隶贸易? |
[41:21] | I’ve spent so many years talking about it. | 那么多年以来 我一直在谈论这个问题 |
[41:24] | So what are a few more minutes? | 那再多几分钟怎么样? |
[41:26] | I remember when Mr. Pitt first became Prime Minister. | 当彼特先生首次当选首相之后 |
[41:29] | The two of you were like meteorites shooting through our imagination. | 你们两个就像陨石一样 撞入了我们的想象 |
[41:33] | -Whose imaginations? -Girls my age. | -谁的想象? -和我同龄的女孩 |
[41:38] | You were one of those who stopped taking sugar in your tea? | 你们之后就停止讨论 茶里放的糖了? |
[41:40] | And I wore an abolition badge made by Josiah Wedgwood. | 我戴着一个约西·韦奇伍德做的废奴勋章 |
[41:43] | He was a good friend to us. | 他是我们的好朋友 |
[41:45] | And I traveled 30 miles in the rain | 然后我在雨中走了30英里路 |
[41:47] | to hear Thomas Clarkson speak. | 去听托马斯·克拉克森的演讲 |
[41:49] | -Did he deafen you? -He opened my eyes. | -他把你耳朵震聋了吗? -他开阔了我的眼界 |
[41:52] | -I met the African. -Equiano. | -我还与一个非洲人会了面 -厄奎亚诺 |
[41:55] | He came to town with a hundred copies of his book. They sold in an hour. | 他带着100本他的书来到镇上 一小时内就全卖光了 |
[41:59] | -You signed our petitions. -A hundred times. | -你在我们的请愿书上签了名 -签了一百次 |
[42:02] | A hundred times. Three million names, a million candles to read them by. | 一百次 三百万个名字 需要一百万支蜡烛来读它们 |
[42:06] | -Must have been so exciting. -Exciting? | -一定非常刺激 -刺激? |
[42:10] | Seemed that every spring, the daffodils came out; | 如同春天到来 水仙花盛开 |
[42:13] | every summer, the cherries ripened; | 夏天到来 樱桃成熟 |
[42:16] | and every autumn, William Wilberforce would present his bill to the House. | 秋天到来 威廉·威尔伯福斯就会在议会提出他的议案 |
[42:20] | -And still… -And still? | -然后还是… -还是怎样? |
[42:22] | And still, after all the badges, the petitions | 还是那样 在所有的勋章 请愿书 |
[42:25] | all the speeches and the bills | 所有的演讲和议案之后 |
[42:27] | ships full of human souls in chains | 那些船只装载着被铁链捆绑住的灵魂 |
[42:30] | sail around the world as cargo! | 依然在世界上肆无忌惮航行着! |
[42:52] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[43:00] | -This is why I really shouldn’t talk about it. -I think you should. | -这就是我不想谈的原因 -我觉得你应该说出来 |
[43:07] | There. We’ve found something we disagree on. | 看吧 终于找到了我们观点不同的地方 |
[43:26] | “…whose soul is drawn to heaven… | “我的灵魂还没有 像水一样被从非洲黑暗的井底抽出 |
[43:30] | like water from the dark well of Africa?” | 然后带到天堂吗” |
[43:34] | From Equiano’s book. | 引自厄奎亚诺的书 |
[43:37] | He was a man like no other. | 他和其它人都不一样 |
[43:41] | Please, tell me about him. | 拜托 给我说说他的事 |
[43:51] | It seems to me that | 对我来说就好像是 |
[43:54] | if there is a bad taste in your mouth, you spit it out. | 如果你嘴里有味道不好的东西 就把它吐出来 |
[43:59] | You don’t constantly swallow it back. | 你不可能一直都把它吞回去 |
[44:13] | Not long after I first met him | 在我们初次见面不久后 |
[44:16] | he asked me to come to the East India dock. | 他邀我去东印度群岛的船坞 |
[44:20] | He said there was a ship I should see. | 他说那有一艘我必须得看看的船 |
[44:23] | A ship he knew well. | 一艘他很了解的船 |
[44:31] | Mr. Equiano. | 厄奎亚诺先生 |
[44:36] | This way. | 这边请 |
[44:44] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢您 先生 |
[45:14] | They make you lie in this space. | 他们让你躺在这里 |
[45:18] | The shackles dislocate your hip or your shoulder. | 枷锁会让你的臀部或肩膀脱臼 |
[45:23] | You are in pain all the way around the world. | 在环游世界的旅程中你会一直遭受痛苦 |
[45:39] | How long is the journey? | 旅途有多长? |
[45:41] | Three weeks, if the weather is good. | 天气好的话 3周 |
[45:47] | For amusement, they sometimes hang the women from these… | 有时为了娱乐 他们会在这里把妇女倒吊起来 |
[45:51] | by the ankles, to rape them. | 然后强奸她们 |
[45:56] | In stormy weather, they take the very sickest | 在雷雨天 他们把那些病入膏肓的人 |
[45:59] | and throw them into the sea to lighten the ship’s load. | 丢进海里 这样可以减轻船的负荷 |
[46:10] | How did you survive? | 你是如何生存下来的? |
[46:12] | Your life is a thread. It breaks or it doesn’t break. | 生命是一条线 只有断或不断两种可能 |
[46:19] | Before I traveled in a ship like this, | 在登上这样的船之前 |
[46:21] | I was a prince. In many ways, not unlike you. | 我是一个王子 从很多方面来说 跟你没什么不同 |
[46:41] | It was a beautiful day like no other… | 没有比那更美好的日子 |
[46:44] | the last day I saw my home in Africa. | 在非洲最后一次看见我家的那天 |
[46:52] | It is with a heavy heart | 我是带着沉重的心情 |
[46:54] | that I bring to the attention of this House | 让议会注意到 |
[46:57] | a trade which degrades men to the level of brutes | 这种把人贬低成动物的贸易 |
[47:02] | and insults the highest qualities of our common nature. | 侮辱了大自然的最高杰作 |
[47:08] | I am speaking of the slave trade. | 我说的是奴隶贸易 |
[47:16] | I know that many of my honorable friends | 我知道议会中许多尊敬的朋友 |
[47:20] | in this House have interests in the Indies. | 都对印度群岛有很大的兴趣 |
[47:23] | Others have investments in plantations. Others are ship owners. | 一些投资种植园 一些是船主 |
[47:28] | And I believe them to be men of humanity. | 我相信他们是有人性的 |
[47:31] | I believe you all to be men of humanity. | 我相信你们都是有人性的 |
[47:35] | of any one of the many hundreds… | 如果把这成百上千个奴隶中 |
[47:38] | of slaves stowed in their ships could be brought to view… | 其中任何一个的悲惨命运展示给你们看 |
[47:41] | there is no one among them whose heart could bear it! | 这里没有一个人不会为之动容 |
[47:48] | Order! Order! | 秩序! 秩序! |
[47:51] | I can hardly believe my ears. | 我几乎不能相信我双耳所听到的 |
[47:54] | We can hardly believe your mouth! | 我们也几乎不能相信你所说的 |
[47:59] | It seems my young friend opposite has a long-term strategy | 看起来对面这位年轻朋友的长期战略 |
[48:05] | to destroy the very nation that spawned him. | 就是破坏这个养育他的国家 |
[48:11] | While I was in Virginia losing my fingers in battle with the Americans, | 我在维吉尼亚与美国佬战斗时 失去了手指 |
[48:17] | he was busy appeasing them. | 他却想安抚他们 |
[48:21] | Now he would hand over the riches of the Indies to the bloody French! | 现在他会把印度群岛的财富全转交给那些该死的法国人! |
[48:33] | If…If we didn’t have slaves, there would be no plantations. | 假如…假如我们没有奴隶 那种植园将不复存在 |
[48:39] | And with no plantations, how would we fill the coffers of the king? | 没有种植园 我们要怎样才能满足国王的需求? |
[48:45] | Now, does…my honorable friend | 我尊敬的朋友 |
[48:51] | really believe that if we left off the trade | 难道你真的相信 要是我们放弃了贸易 |
[48:55] | the French wouldn’t immediately step into our place | 那些法国人不会马上踏上我们的地盘 |
[48:59] | and reap the rewards? | 掠夺我们的财富吗? |
[49:12] | All this food. There’s only a handful of people in there. | 吃的都在这 里面只有很少一部分人了 |
[49:16] | He’s an optimist. Fully incurable. | 他是个理想主义者 完全无可救药 |
[49:19] | Our defeat in the House today was not unexpected. | 今天在议会上的冲突 完全超出了我的想象 |
[49:23] | But our intention was to flush out the opposition | 但我们的目的是尽可能激怒反对派 |
[49:25] | and discover how many people in the House would support us. | 然后看看有多少人支持我们 |
[49:28] | Yes, well, we certainly found out who our friends are. | 是的 我们当然知道了现在谁是和我们一派的 |
[49:32] | All 16 of them. | 他们之中的16个 |
[49:34] | I sent a note of thanks to everyone who voted for us. | 我…我向每个为我们投票的人 都送去了感谢信 |
[49:38] | Oh, how sweet of you. | 你还真是可爱 |
[49:40] | Some of us know how to take defeat graciously. | 我们之中某些人清楚知道 如何才能更圆滑地解决纷争 |
[49:43] | -Something with bleeding, is it? -On this occasion, it probably is, yes. | -是为了防止流血冲突吗? -在这种情况下 确实是 |
[49:47] | everything that is said at this meeting is being taken down for our records. | 这个会议中所说的一切 我们将全部记录下来 |
[49:52] | My good friend James Stephen has agreed to be our secretary. | 我的朋友詹姆士·史蒂芬很乐意担任我们的秘书 |
[49:55] | You were saying, gentlemen? | 你们有什么想说的吗? |
[49:58] | As you can see, not many M.P.S have responded to our invitation. | 如你们所见 对我们的邀请作出反应的议员并不是很多 |
[50:04] | Indeed, outside my own family, there is only one… | 确实 在我们这一派之外 只有一个支持我们的人: |
[50:07] | Sir William Dolben. | 威廉·多本先生 |
[50:08] | Sir William, what brings you to this gathering? | 威廉先生 你是为什么来参加这个集会? |
[50:12] | I recently took passage from Sierra Leone aboard a slave ship. | 最近我通过塞拉利昂的渠道 登上了一艘奴隶船 |
[50:19] | What I saw during those 15 days… | 那15天我所看到的… |
[50:24] | But I…I believe there are plenty of others | 但我相信在议会里 |
[50:26] | in the House of Commons who share your feelings, Wilberforce. | 还是有相当一部分人同意你的观点的 |
[50:28] | -They’re just afraid to show it. -Shame on them! | -他们只是害怕表现出来 -真是耻辱! |
[50:31] | No shame. No shame. Were I the representative of a port city | 不是的 根本不是耻辱 假设我是一个港口城市的代表 |
[50:36] | how could I tell those whom I represent that | 我怎么能对那些我所代表的人说 |
[50:39] | I’m voting to end their livelihood? | 我支持切断他们生命线的一派? |
[50:42] | Exactly so. | 确实如此 |
[50:44] | It is exactly this pursuit of lofty… | 人类怎么可以那么惟利是图? |
[50:47] | -There is nothing lofty about simple humanity! | -这的确是崇高的追求 -崇高也只不过是单纯的人性 |
[50:53] | Please! | 请安静! |
[51:00] | Perhaps we should begin this journey with the first step. | 或许我们应该从头开始谈起 |
[51:05] | We are talking about the truth. | 我们在讲述事实 |
[51:08] | So we should hand it out to people. Drop it from church roofs. | 所以我们必须让人民知道 告之天下 丝毫都不隐藏 |
[51:13] | Paint pictures of it, write songs about it, make bloody pies out of it. | 为它作画 为它写歌 让人们看到血淋淋的真实形象 |
[51:18] | Go on. | 说下去 |
[51:20] | There is a slave ship at dock in Tilbury | 在蒂尔伯的船坞有一艘奴隶船 |
[51:23] | with twice the slave berths it is insured for. | 里面奴隶的铺位 是他们宣称的两倍 |
[51:26] | I know that for a fact. But how do we prove it? | 我知道那是事实 但怎样才能证明? |
[51:30] | Wilber. | 威尔伯 |
[51:34] | -Dear God. -Well, almost. | -上帝… -差不多 |
[51:42] | I spent 18 months being torn apart by you in the House, | 我已经连续18个月在议会上和你势不两立 |
[51:47] | Mr. Wilberforce. | 威尔伯福斯先生 |
[51:48] | I thought I’d find out what it feels like to be on your side. | 我觉得我应该体会一下站在你这边的感受 |
[51:54] | I see you’ve got plenty of food. Any of you saints drink? | 你们有很多吃的啊 各位谁带了点喝的? |
[52:05] | Well, this one bloody does. | 这该死的东西应该行 |
[52:15] | Thank you very much. | 非常感谢 |
[52:30] | Not fair! Not fair. | 不公平! 这不公平 |
[52:35] | I’m not well. My belly. | 我肚子有点不舒服 |
[52:37] | What’s…What’s wrong with your belly? | 你的肚子怎么了? |
[52:43] | Besides, you’re Prime Minister. | 而且 你现在是首相了 |
[52:47] | It is my ministerial duty to let you win. | 你的胜出也有我很大一部分的贡献 |
[52:49] | So what will we do with Fox? | 然后 我们该怎么对付福克斯? |
[52:54] | -Put him in a box? -Let him throw the heavy rocks. | -把他装进一个箱子里? -让他去扔沉重的岩石 |
[52:58] | -Provide the shocks. -Put Lord Tarleton in the stocks. | -给他点惊吓 -把泰尔顿大法官塞进树干怎么样 |
[53:07] | If the House of Lords could hear the idiotic way we carry on, | 如果议会里的法官们听到我们这些愚蠢的想法 |
[53:10] | they’d ban anyone under the age of 30 from holding high office ever again. | 他们就会从此禁止30岁以下的年轻人掌握国家最高权力 |
[53:14] | At least with Fox on board, the world will know we mean business. | 至少福克斯还在议会里 整个世界就会知道我们的野心 |
[53:21] | The world doesn’t know yet. | 这个世界还不知道呢 |
[53:24] | Nor will it. Not until we’re ready. | 它也不会知道 我们可都还没准备好 |
[53:29] | You were born for this, Wilber. | 你天生就是干这个的料 威尔伯 |
[53:32] | Sometimes I get giddy. | 有时我会觉得眩晕 |
[53:37] | Why is it you only feel the thorns in your feet when you stop running? | 为什么当你停止奔跑时才会感觉到脚上的荆棘? |
[53:42] | Is that some sort of heavy-handed metaphorical advice for me, Mr. Pitt? | 难道您是在隐喻一些针对我的严苛意见吗 彼特先生? |
[53:46] | Yes. Suppose it is. | 是的 我认为是这样 |
[53:49] | -You must keep going. Keep going fast. -Hey. | 我们必须继续前进 继续快速地前进 |
[54:31] | Thank you very much. | 非常感谢您 |
[54:58] | Gentlemen, would you stop the music, please? Thank you. | 先生们 停一下音乐好吗? 谢谢 |
[55:02] | Ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们先生们 |
[55:03] | I hope you have enjoyed our little tour of the estuary. | 我衷心希望你们对这次在河口的小小旅行感到满意 |
[55:07] | But now, our sojourn is almost over…I have a confession to make. | 但现在我们在此的逗留快要结束了 我必须得澄清一件事 |
[55:12] | This trip wasn’t purely arranged to reward those M.P.S | 这次旅行并不只是单纯地安排来嘉奖那些议员的 |
[55:16] | who have supported me in the past year. Nor am I the only sponsor. | 那些在过去一年支持我的人 而且我也不是唯一的主办人 |
[55:25] | -What’s he doing up there? -Ladies and gentlemen, | -他在做什么? -先生女士们 |
[55:27] | this is a slave ship. The Madagascar. | 这是一艘奴隶船 马达加斯加号 |
[55:33] | It has just returned from the Indies | 刚从印度群岛返回 |
[55:35] | where it delivered 200 men, women and children to Jamaica. | 它运送了200人到牙买加 其中包括妇女和儿童 |
[55:42] | When it left Africa, there were 600 on board. | 在它刚驶离非洲时 船上还有600人 |
[55:49] | The rest died of disease or despair. | 其余的在疾病和绝望中死去 |
[55:56] | That smell…is the smell of death. | 那就是死亡的味道 |
[56:01] | Slow, painful death. | 缓慢而又痛苦的死亡 |
[56:06] | Breathe it in. Breathe it deeply. | 呼吸它吧 深呼吸一下 |
[56:12] | Take those handkerchiefs away from your noses. | 把这些手绢从你们的鼻子上拿开 |
[56:17] | There now. | 现在 就这样 |
[56:20] | Remember that smell. | 请记住这个味道 |
[56:24] | Remember the Madagascar. | 请记住马达加斯加号 |
[56:26] | Remember that God made men equal. | 请记住上帝让人生来平等 |
[56:36] | All that winter, we spread out across the country | 整个冬天 我们在全国四处打探 |
[56:39] | gathering evidence for Parliament. | 搜集对抗国会的证据 |
[56:42] | Thomas rode to Bristol, Liverpool, Plymouth | 托马斯去了布里斯托尔 利物浦 还有普利茅斯 |
[56:45] | talking to men who’d worked the slave ships, | 与曾经在奴隶船上工作过的人们 |
[56:48] | ships’ doctors who’d treated them, | 船上治疗他们的医生 |
[56:51] | slaves themselves who’d been whipped and branded. | 还有曾经被鞭打和烙印过的奴隶本人 进行交谈 |
[56:55] | Equiano published his account of his years as a slave. | 厄奎亚诺出版了描写他作为奴隶 那几年痛苦经历的书 |
[57:02] | He sold 50,000 copies in two months. | 在两个月内卖出了50000本 |
[57:15] | Spare a coin, sir? | 给点钱吧 先生? |
[57:17] | Our supporters began to only buy sugar produced without slaves in India. | 我们的支持者开始只买那些不是印度奴隶所制造的糖 |
[57:23] | Or they stopped using sugar altogether. | 或者他们干脆就不再吃糖了 |
[57:27] | It seemed our message was everywhere. | 彷佛我们的足迹遍布了每一个地方 |
[57:29] | At least now there was hope. Real hope. | 至少现在有了希望 真正的希望 |
[57:35] | We had a year to collect enough evidence | 我们用一年时间来搜集证据 |
[57:38] | to convince Parliament of our case. | 以此在法庭上战胜国会 |
[57:41] | The planters and the ship owners began to spread rumors about us. | 种植园主和奴隶船主们开始散播不利于我们的谣言 |
[57:46] | They called us seditious…secretly working to bring down the government. | 他们说我们是在煽动人民 密谋妄图推翻政府 |
[57:51] | Clarkson sat in a coach to Birmingham | 克拉克森坐在去伯明翰的车上 |
[57:54] | and overheard someone claim that I’d secretly married a slave woman. | 然后偷听到一些人造谣 说我暗中已经娶了一个奴隶妇人 |
[58:04] | But the weight of our hope made it all seem like glorious infamy. | 但是我们强烈的希望力量 只会让他们更加臭名昭著 |
[58:10] | How long have you been taking laudanum? | 你服用鸦片酊多长时间了? |
[58:17] | I recognize its presence. | 我刚看到了 |
[58:28] | My illness and my crusade were born around the same time. | 我的病和改革运动几乎是在同一时间开始的 |
[58:33] | What is your illness? | 你得了什么病? |
[58:36] | The doctors tell me it’s called colitis. | 医生说叫大肠炎 |
[58:39] | They don’t really understand it. But I do. | 他们并不太清楚这个病 但我知道 |
[58:43] | You see, sometimes my stomach | 知道吗 有时我的胃 |
[58:45] | gets bored of being a stomach and decides it’s a sailing ship. | 会进行罢工 变成一只荡来荡去的船 |
[58:49] | And my heart gets jealous and decides it wants to be a seesaw. | 然后我的心嫉妒了 也变得跟秋千一样摇摇晃晃 |
[58:52] | And before you know it, my lungs are arguing with one another | 而且在你知道以前 我一边的肺正和另一边闹不和 |
[58:56] | whether to be lungs or sponges full of seawater. | 他们争论是该就当肺呢 还是把所有的海水都吸进去 |
[59:01] | Well, at least that’s what I tell my nieces and nephews. | 至少我就是这样 告诉我的侄女和侄子的 |
[59:05] | Marianne tells me you like children. | 玛丽安说你喜欢小孩 |
[59:11] | My poor father almost went mad | 当我告诉我可怜的父亲 我要停止在茶里放糖时 |
[59:13] | when I told him I’d stopped taking sugar in my tea. | 他几乎要疯了 |
[59:18] | I was 14. | 我才14岁 |
[59:21] | Reading your name in the papers, willing you to win. | 在报纸上读到你的名字 希望你能获胜 |
[59:25] | I told my friends there was actual slave blood in every lump of sugar. | 我告诉我的朋友 每一块糖中都包含着奴隶们的鲜血 |
[59:38] | Has this been so painful to talk about? | 谈这个是不是让你很痛苦? |
[59:41] | It’s only painful to talk about because we haven’t changed anything. | 我对改变这一切无能为力 这才让是最痛苦的 |
[59:46] | But unlike the slaves, I have opium for my pain. | 但是 和奴隶们不一样 我还有鸦片来治疗我的痛苦 |
[59:51] | Begging your pardon, sir. | 对不起 先生 |
[59:54] | I thought everyone was in bed. | 我以为大家都还在睡觉 |
[59:57] | She brings the breakfasts. What time is it? | 她送早餐来了 现在是几点了? |
[1:00:00] | Does it matter? | 有什么关系吗? |
[1:00:17] | That year, we should have won. | 那一年我们本可以获胜的 |
[1:00:20] | With the evidence we had collected, | 依靠我们所收集的证据 |
[1:00:22] | by natural justice we should have won. | 以自然公正的名义 我们应该获胜的 |
[1:00:27] | Winds blow ships | 从非洲驶往印度群岛的船只 |
[1:00:29] | from Africa to the Indies naturally, | 在风的帮助下自然是提高了航速 |
[1:00:31] | as if the route were blessed by God. | 就像是上帝在庇佑着航线 |
[1:00:36] | Another argument in defense of the trade | 对此辩护过程中的另一争论 |
[1:00:39] | is that the Newfoundland fishing industry is kept afloat | 就是纽芬兰岛的捕渔业 仍然继续经营着 |
[1:00:45] | by the fact that slaves in the West Indies | 原因就是 西印度群岛的奴隶们 |
[1:00:50] | consume that part of the fish | 消耗了那部分的鱼产量 |
[1:00:54] | which is fit for no other consumption. | 这样也就不需要其它多余的消费量了 |
[1:00:59] | I do feel that if my honorable friend continues to scrape | 这让我觉得 我尊敬的朋友们 |
[1:01:02] | the bottom of the barrel for objections… | 继续在揭反对党的底 |
[1:01:06] | he is in danger of getting splinters under his fingernails. | 他可要当心被钉指甲了 |
[1:01:12] | Now, if I may continue with my argument… | 如果我可以继续反驳的话… |
[1:01:14] | As representative | 作为伟大而又繁荣的 |
[1:01:18] | of the great and flourishing commercial town of Liverpool, | 商业城市利物浦的代表 |
[1:01:20] | I must once again remind the House that we have no evidence | 我必须再一次提醒议会 我们并没有任何证据 |
[1:01:26] | that the Africans themselves have any objection to the trade. | 来证明非洲的奴隶们对奴隶贸易有任何不满和反对 |
[1:01:35] | I have here an account written by a… Mr. Clutterbuck… | 我这有一篇那个… 克拉特巴克先生写的文章 |
[1:01:42] | which states that most slaves in the Indies | …上面记录了印度群岛的大多数奴隶 |
[1:01:45] | have a snug little garden with plenty of pigs and poultry. | 都有一个舒适的小园子 里面养着大量的猪和家禽 |
[1:01:50] | There are many poor families in Liverpool who do not have as much. | 在利物浦很多贫困家庭 还没有这样的待遇 |
[1:01:57] | Which…Which is why, | 这…这就是为什么 |
[1:02:00] | apart from a few mendicant physicians and itinerant clergymen, | 除了一些医师药师和到处巡游的牧师以外 |
[1:02:06] | the ordinary people of Britain are not at all exercised | 英国的普通民众并没有对奴隶制的所有问题 |
[1:02:09] | by the whole issue of slavery! | 感到担忧 |
[1:02:14] | My honorable friend, the member for Liverpool, | 尊敬的朋友们 我们在利物浦的成员 |
[1:02:17] | seeks evidence of people’s concern. | 对民众所关心的问题进行了调查搜集 |
[1:02:19] | In the past year, I and my itinerant clergymen friends | 在过去一年中 我和我到处巡游的牧师朋友们 |
[1:02:24] | have been gathering just such evidence. | 一直在搜集这样一个证据 |
[1:02:28] | We have taken a petition calling for the abolition of the slave trade | 我们拿到了一张号召废除奴隶制的请愿书 |
[1:02:33] | to all the great cities of this country. | 是针对这个国家里的每一个大城市的 |
[1:02:38] | It has been signed by over 390,000 people. | 超过390000的人民在上面签了字 |
[1:02:53] | However, this petition is not yet complete. | 然而 这张请愿书还没有完成 |
[1:02:56] | There is one more person who wishes to add his name. | 还有一个人希望能在上面签上他的名字 |
[1:03:09] | -Traitor! -Sit down, sir! | -叛徒 -先生 坐下 |
[1:03:12] | Sit down, sir! | 坐下 |
[1:03:14] | Do something. | 得阻止他 |
[1:03:19] | Mr. Speaker, I humbly request a suspension while we take time | 仪长先生 请容许我要求暂停 |
[1:03:22] | to examine the signatures on this document. | 给我们留出时间来检查这上面的签字 |
[1:03:28] | There is something very provoking | 想用镇静来掩饰你们的恼怒吗 |
[1:03:30] | in the dried, calm way my honorable friend seeks delay. | 我尊敬的朋友们 想拖延时间吗 |
[1:03:33] | Mr. Speaker, will he not give way? | 议长先生 能否叫他让下步? |
[1:03:35] | Is the desolation of Africa suspended? | 非洲的悲哀就会消失了吗? |
[1:03:38] | -Please, gentlemen! -Is the work of death suspended? | -先生们 请冷静 -致人死亡的工作就会停止吗? |
[1:03:41] | -You bring petitions into the House of Commons. -Mr. Speaker, | -你把请愿书带到了议会上来… -仪长先生… |
[1:03:44] | we cannot insult the forebearers of heaven! | …我们不能侮辱我们的先辈 |
[1:03:46] | …As if this country can be moved by the rule of the mob | …就好像是这个国家应该由这样的暴徒来统治 |
[1:03:48] | rather than its natural rulers! | 而不是被赋予权利的统治者! |
[1:03:51] | Order! | 秩序! |
[1:03:52] | That roll of paper reeks of rebellion! | 这一卷东西意味着叛变! |
[1:03:55] | No matter how loud you shout, you will not drown out the voice of the people! | 不管你吼得有多大声 你也不能盖住人民的声音! |
[1:04:02] | The people? | 人民? |
[1:04:08] | This session will be suspended while the petition is examined. | 在检查请愿书期间 会议暂停 |
[1:04:16] | Wilber. | 威尔伯 |
[1:04:46] | My spies tell me that Tarleton and coconut Clarence | 我的密探告诉我 泰尔顿和”可可豆”克拉克森 |
[1:04:49] | have gone to see the Home Secretary. | 去见了议会的秘书 |
[1:04:53] | Hmm. What would they want with Lord Dundas? | 他们想和登达士法官一起做什么? |
[1:04:56] | He’s one of ours, isn’t he? | 他可是我们一派的 不是吗? |
[1:04:58] | Hmm. James. James. | 詹姆士 詹姆士 |
[1:05:02] | -Where does Lord Dundas stand? -Probable. I think. | -登达士法官是支持哪方的? -大概是我们这派 |
[1:05:07] | We have him down as a probable. | 我们把他当作支持我们这派的可能人物 |
[1:05:10] | Last year, he stopped the deportation of a Jamaican slave from Scotland. | 去年他阻止了一个牙买加奴隶从苏格兰的放逐 |
[1:05:14] | -So his heart’s in the right place. -Be wary of Dundas. | -所以他的心应该是向着我们的 -注意点登达士 |
[1:05:21] | If he’s capable of compassion once, why not twice? | 要是他能够一次施与他的怜悯 为什么不两次? |
[1:05:27] | What damage could he do if he’s turned? | 你知道要是他倒戈相向将会造成多大的破坏? |
[1:05:30] | He controls the Scottish vote… 34 M.P.s. | 他控制着苏格兰的投票 34个议员 |
[1:05:37] | Just have to have faith in his integrity. | 我们得相信他的正直 |
[1:05:43] | Integrity? | 正直? |
[1:05:51] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪? |
[1:05:53] | To look up the word “integrity” in Dr. Johnson’s dictionary. | 去查查”正直”这个词 在约翰逊先生字典里的解释 |
[1:05:59] | Come. | 进来 |
[1:06:03] | Prime Minister, Lord Charles Fox to see you. | 首相先生 查尔斯·福克斯法官想见你 |
[1:06:11] | You always look more at home when you’re doing something devious. | 在做一些邪门歪道的事情时 你总是很自如 |
[1:06:17] | Prime Minister, your friend Wilberforce doesn’t play cards anymore. | 首相先生 您的朋友威尔伯福斯看来不会再玩牌了 |
[1:06:22] | No. He resigned from all five card clubs | 是的 他在明确了自己的方向后 |
[1:06:24] | when he saw the light. | 就放弃了所有5个玩牌的俱乐部 |
[1:06:26] | Pity…he was good. | 真遗憾 他玩的不错 |
[1:06:28] | Well, I think there’s a hand you should play for him. | 我觉得在某件事情上 你应该帮帮他 |
[1:06:34] | -Against whom? -Someone who stands in his way. | -对谁? -在他的路上阻拦他的人 |
[1:06:41] | So name him. | 他是谁 |
[1:06:54] | -Dundas. -Good evening, Lord Orme. | 晚上好 |
[1:07:05] | Billy, did I not win enough money from you on Saturday evening? | 比利 星期六晚上我还没把你赢够吗? |
[1:07:10] | Really, I have no time for cards. | 说真的 我可没时间再玩牌了 |
[1:07:13] | I have urgent business in the House. | 我在议会中有紧急的事务得处理 |
[1:07:24] | As Prime Minister, idle gossip collects around you like scum in slack water. | 作为一个首相 闲话流言就像身边死水中无数的泡沫一样 |
[1:07:31] | What have you heard? | 你是不是听到了什么? |
[1:07:33] | Lord Tarleton’s throwing East India Company money | 泰尔顿法官给了东印度公司一大笔钱 |
[1:07:36] | at people who are speaking against abolition tonight. | 给那些今晚提出反对废奴的人 |
[1:07:40] | Of course, no true friend of mine would accept such an offer. | 当然 我真诚的朋友们是不会接受这样的意图的 |
[1:07:46] | I appear to have three jacks. | 我似乎拿到了三张杰克 |
[1:07:49] | I’ve always insured that you have been dealt a favorable hand. | 我一直确信 你是我的一个最好的帮手 |
[1:07:53] | -Are you threatening me? -You are threatening our friendship. | -你在威胁我吗? -是你在威胁我们之间的友谊 |
[1:07:59] | It isn’t money that has made me decide to oppose Wilberforce. | 我倒不是因为钱才反对威尔伯福斯的 |
[1:08:02] | His enemy is my enemy. | 他的敌人就是我的敌人 |
[1:08:05] | Billy, you are sleepwalking hand-in-hand with a bloody rebel. | 你正和一场流血革命手拉手一同梦游 |
[1:08:08] | Wilberforce follows no leader but the preacher in his head. | 威尔伯福斯不服从任何人 他只相信头脑中的传教士 |
[1:08:15] | How much were you offered? | 那你能做多少? |
[1:08:18] | Keep your jacks. | 留着你的杰克 |
[1:08:20] | The planters still have the king, and I, at least, am still loyal to him. | 种植园主还是有国王撑腰的 而我 至少还是忠于他 |
[1:08:26] | Don’t force me to put a pistol to your head. | 可不要逼我在你手中放支手枪 |
[1:08:31] | If you do, there will be two pistols… | 你真这样的话 就会出现两支手枪了 |
[1:08:35] | one from each side. | 一边一支 |
[1:08:38] | Perhaps if I duck, you’ll shoot each other. | 如果我躲开了 你们将会射中对方 |
[1:08:56] | Order. | 秩序 |
[1:08:59] | Order. | 秩序 |
[1:09:05] | First, let me be clear… | 首先 由我说明一下情况 |
[1:09:08] | after long consideration and much consultation, | 在长时间的考虑和磋商后 |
[1:09:12] | I am in favor of the abolition of the slave trade. | 我同意废除奴隶贸易 |
[1:09:19] | There’s no doubt in my mind that this trade in human beings | 毫无疑问 在我心里 这种人类的贸易 |
[1:09:24] | is an almighty calumny and is a disgrace to this nation. | 是对这个国家完全的诽谤和玷污 |
[1:09:30] | However, I also take the point of my honorable friend, | 但是…我还是同意我尊敬的朋友 |
[1:09:36] | the member for Liverpool. | 利物浦成员的观点 |
[1:09:39] | If we were to outlaw the trade tomorrow, | 如果我们明天就宣布奴隶贸易不合法 |
[1:09:42] | this would bring financial disaster | 那将会带来财政上的危机 |
[1:09:43] | to many of the great cities and industries of this country. | 这个国家中的很多城市以及工厂都会受到影响 |
[1:09:49] | I therefore suggest…a period of reflection. | 因此我建议 进行一段时间的反省和思考 |
[1:09:54] | After a year and a half of privy council investigations, | 议会用一年半的时间私下里调查确认之后 |
[1:09:58] | what good would it do to delay the inevitable? | 为什么还要延迟这本属必然的事情? 有什么好处? |
[1:10:00] | Inevitable? | 必然? |
[1:10:01] | Is my honorable friend already counting the votes before they are cast? | 在我们出现之前 我们尊敬的朋友是不是在数着选票呢? |
[1:10:05] | I didn’t mean that. | 我可没那个意思 |
[1:10:08] | Sit down, you! If the trade were to be abolished, I suggest that we do so gradually. | 如果这种贸易将会被废除 我希望能循序渐进 |
[1:10:13] | Violent storms sink ships. | 狂风会吹翻船只 |
[1:10:19] | This great ship of State must not be sunk | 但我们的国家这艘伟大的船不会因为 |
[1:10:23] | by a wave of good intentions. | 一种美好期望的浪潮沉没 |
[1:10:51] | They are cleverer than us, Thomas. | 他们比我们要聪明 托马斯 |
[1:10:56] | And yet… | 但是… |
[1:10:59] | outside the House of Commons, the mood is with us. | …在众议院之外 我们还是带着这样的情绪 |
[1:11:03] | And what good is that? | 那有什么好处? |
[1:11:07] | I have friends in France. | 我在法国有一些朋友 |
[1:11:11] | Our counterparts. Men of principle, like you and I. | 就像是我们的副本 支持法则的人 跟你我一样 |
[1:11:16] | -They bring me only good news. -News of what? | -他们给我带来的都是好消息 -什么消息? |
[1:11:22] | Revolution. | 革命 |
[1:11:25] | They’re certain it’s coming. | 他们确信这将会到来 |
[1:11:29] | In Paris, they speak openly in the streets | 在巴黎 他们公开在街道上要求解放 |
[1:11:32] | of emancipation, freedom for all men, and women, too. | 要求所有的人得到自由 还有女人的自由 |
[1:11:38] | The Americans pulled the cork out of the bottle, Wilberforce. | 美国人已经拔出瓶塞开始行动了 威尔伯福斯 |
[1:11:42] | Now the French share the wine. | 现在法国也分一杯羹 |
[1:11:44] | You talk about revolution as if it were a safe thing. | 你讲革命的时候 感觉上那是个很安全的东西 |
[1:11:47] | It’s just a word. | 那是一把利剑 |
[1:11:49] | Every day we change things by degrees…education, factories… | 每天我们改变着事物 一步一步 教育 工厂 |
[1:11:52] | By degrees. You sound like Dundas! Gradually… | 一步一步地 听起来像登达士! 逐渐地… |
[1:11:56] | An imperfect order’s better than no order at all. | 一种不完美的秩序总比没有强 |
[1:11:59] | No! We must fight for a perfect order! | 我们得为一种完美的秩序而奋斗! |
[1:12:05] | I’ve pledged an allegiance to the king. | 我已经宣誓效忠国王 |
[1:12:10] | You know as well as I do…the king is insane. | 你我都清楚… 国王精神不正常 |
[1:12:16] | He shakes hands with oak trees | 他同橡树握手 |
[1:12:18] | and claims he can see Germany through his telescope. | 宣称他可以从望远镜里看到德国 |
[1:12:26] | I know you have your loyalties, Wilberforce. | 我知道你有要效忠的人 威尔伯福斯 |
[1:12:30] | But underneath it, you’re more radical than any of us. | 但在这之下 你比我们任何人都要激进 |
[1:12:35] | You see, you never doubt you’re right. | 知道吗 你从没怀疑过自己是对的 |
[1:12:39] | What we say of the slave is true of the worker in the field, | 我们所说的奴隶 有在田间的劳动者 |
[1:12:45] | the weaver, the miner. | 有织工 有矿工 |
[1:12:48] | Shouldn’t they be free to prosper, too? | 他们不也应该获得自由获得财富 |
[1:12:52] | Instead of the fruits of their labors going to men like Tarleton? | 而不是把他们的劳动果实献给像泰尔顿一样的人? |
[1:12:56] | Men who spend their money on whores and comic operas. | 那些把钱花在嫖妓和看喜剧上的人 |
[1:13:05] | Young girls debauched. | 年轻女孩变得放荡 |
[1:13:11] | Soldiers forced to beg. | 士兵们被迫乞讨 |
[1:13:14] | It’s a natural wave that’s flowing, Wilber. | 这是随之而来的浪潮 威尔伯 |
[1:13:21] | First Boston, then Paris. | 首先是波士顿 然后是巴黎 |
[1:13:26] | Next, London. | 接下来是伦敦 |
[1:13:28] | Thomas, | 托马斯… |
[1:13:32] | you must never speak of revolution in my presence ever again. | …你以后再也不要在我面前提革命了 |
[1:13:50] | I’m going to Paris to see for myself. | 我会到巴黎亲眼看看 |
[1:13:57] | Why don’t you come with me? | 为什么不和我一起去? |
[1:14:01] | Drink some of that wine. | 不去喝点那种酒吗? |
[1:14:17] | Africa, your sufferings | 非洲 你遭受的痛苦已经成为了一种 |
[1:14:21] | have been a theme that has engaged and arrested my heart. | 约束和捆绑着我的心的旋律 |
[1:14:26] | Your sufferings, | 你的痛苦…. |
[1:14:30] | no tongue can express, no language impart. | …没有语言能表达 没有语言来传达 |
[1:14:44] | God has set before me two great objects. | 上帝在我前面立下了两个目标: |
[1:14:50] | The suppression of the slave trade | 对奴隶贸易的抑制 |
[1:14:53] | and the reformation of society. | 还有对社会的改革 |
[1:15:00] | Oh, my God. | 上帝 |
[1:15:07] | Sir! | 先生! |
[1:15:09] | Marjorie. | 马乔里 |
[1:15:14] | Trouble is, Doctor, he doesn’t believe he has a body. | 问题是 医生 他从来不相信自己身体的存在 |
[1:15:17] | Utterly careless of it. He, um | 漠不关心 他… |
[1:15:21] | He thinks he’s a disembodied spirit. | 他认为 他的精神已经脱离肉体了 |
[1:15:26] | Perhaps you should spend some time away from London. | 或许你应该离开伦敦一段时间 |
[1:15:31] | -What’s this? -Laudanum for the pain. | -这是什么? -鸦片酊 止痛的 |
[1:15:34] | An opiate? No, no, no. I need my mind sharp. | 鸦片? 不 不 不 我需要让头脑保持清醒 |
[1:15:37] | No, you need to rest. | 你需要休息 |
[1:15:39] | My bill is before the House in three weeks. | 我的议案将在三周内向议会提交 |
[1:15:43] | -Would you leave us a moment, Doctor? -Yes, Prime Minister. | -你能稍微回避一下吗 医生? -好的 首相先生 |
[1:15:53] | It’s now five years since you first brought this bill to the House. | 距离你第一次向议会提交这项议案 已经事隔五年了 |
[1:15:56] | And each time, we get a little closer. | 每一次我们都有一点一点的进步 |
[1:15:59] | Wilberforce, there are other M.P.S who could carry the debate. | 威尔伯福斯 有其它的议员能够继续辩论 |
[1:16:04] | Who? Name one. | 谁? 说一个听听 |
[1:16:10] | The only man I would trust is you. | 我唯一相信的人只有你 |
[1:16:18] | You know I can’t be seen to openly oppose the king | 在巴黎街道上已洒满鲜血的时候 |
[1:16:20] | when the streets of Paris are running with blood. | 我不能公开反对国王 |
[1:16:23] | You’ve read too many lurid newspaper articles. | 你是读了太多报纸上耸人听闻的文章 |
[1:16:25] | The French Republic plans to declare war within the year. | 法兰西共和国预计会在今年之内宣战 |
[1:16:29] | -On who? -On who? | -对谁? -对谁? |
[1:16:33] | You’re locked inside your own head, man. | 你完全被你自己的头脑封闭了! |
[1:16:35] | On us, on Great Britain, on everything we stand for! | 对我们 对大不列颠 对我们所代表的一切! |
[1:16:42] | Considering the situation, you mix with the wrong people. | 想想这个情况 你还和不好的人混在一起 |
[1:16:48] | -Who do I mix with? -Clarkson, for one. | -我和谁混在一起? -克拉克森 就他 |
[1:16:51] | -Remind me who introduced me to Clarkson. -In different times. | -那又是谁介绍我和他认识的? -时代不一样了 |
[1:17:00] | They say in the cafes that Clarkson’s a French spy. | 他们在咖啡馆里说 克拉克森是法国派来的奸细 |
[1:17:04] | And Equiano, they say he was born in Carolina, | 还有厄奎亚诺 他们说他出生在卡罗莱纳州(美国) |
[1:17:09] | and as an American, therefore must be a revolutionary. | 他作为一个美国人 那是肯定支持革命的 |
[1:17:18] | Others say they’ve seen with their own eyes | 其它人说他们亲眼看见 |
[1:17:21] | letters addressed to you from Thomas Jefferson. | 托马斯·杰斐逊向你寄了一封信 |
[1:17:25] | -On matters to do with abolition. -War changes everything. | -关于废奴的一些情况 -战争改变一切 |
[1:17:29] | -Even friendships? -Yes, especially those! | -甚至是友谊? -特别是那些! |
[1:17:33] | So you will keep your precious conscience intact | 所以你必须要保持你那难能可贵的良知 |
[1:17:36] | and let the rest of us do the war’s dirty work. | 就让我们剩下的这些人来干战争这样肮脏的活 |
[1:17:41] | Conscience is indeed precious. | 良知的确是很可贵 |
[1:17:43] | I am warning you as your Prime Minister | 我以你的首相的名义提醒你 |
[1:17:46] | that when war comes, opposition will soon be called sedition! | 当战争开始 反对党会马上被叫作煽动人心的家伙! |
[1:17:51] | By who? | 被谁? |
[1:17:57] | By you? | 被你? |
[1:18:22] | This evening, I would like to return to the theme of abolition. | 今晚我想要回到废除奴隶制的那种主题 |
[1:18:28] | In these dangerous times, | 在这样的危险时期 |
[1:18:30] | it is easy to put aside our concerns for those in need | 很容易为了一切迫切的事而放下那些我们所追求的东西 |
[1:18:34] | simply to confirm our loyalty to the nation. | 就是为了确保我们对国家的忠诚 |
[1:18:37] | But the issues of war and the issues of slavery must not be confused. | 但战争和奴隶制的问题不应该混淆啊 |
[1:18:42] | We’re leaving. | 我们走了 |
[1:18:43] | Our fear of an unknown enemy must not be allowed | 我们对未知敌人的恐惧绝不能 |
[1:18:47] | to erode our long-cherished liberties. | 腐蚀我们永久珍惜的自由精神 |
[1:18:49] | If this is to happen, how bitter will our history be? | 假如这会发生 那我们的历史会变得多苦不堪言? |
[1:18:53] | Shame! | 可耻 |
[1:18:56] | Shame, you traitor! | 叛徒 你感到可耻吗? |
[1:18:58] | We must not prohibit all political discussion of political subjects. | 我们不能禁止所有针对政治问题的政治讨论 |
[1:19:02] | The issue of slavery is not made any less important | 奴隶制的问题并没有因为毫无关系的战争问题 |
[1:19:06] | by the unrelated issues of war! -Sit down! | -而变得不那么重要! -坐下 |
[1:19:08] | In war or in peace, the buying and selling of human beings | 无论战争还是和平 对人类的购买还是销售 |
[1:19:13] | is equally abhorrent! | 都是一样的令人憎恨! |
[1:19:16] | Sit down! Sit down! This is not a seditious statement! | 这可不是煽动性的发言! |
[1:19:19] | -Traitor. -Traitor. | -叛徒 -叛徒 |
[1:19:38] | Where is your laudanum? I’ll prepare it for you. | 你的鸦片酊在哪? 我得为你准备一颗 |
[1:19:41] | No, no. I want to tell you how it ends. | 不 不 我想告诉你结局是什么 |
[1:19:44] | I already know. Your bills were easily defeated. | 我已经知道了 你的议案轻易地被击败了 |
[1:19:51] | Equiano…died in his bed. | 厄奎亚诺…在病床上死去 |
[1:19:55] | Thomas Clarkson found a cottage in the hills to hide away in. | 托马斯·克拉克森在山上找了一间小别墅躲了起来 |
[1:19:59] | Charles Fox…watched and waited. | 查尔斯·福克斯静观其变 |
[1:20:05] | The Quakers still sent their letters. No one replied. | 新教教派持续寄信 但无人回复 |
[1:20:12] | Is that the end of your story? | 这就是你故事的结束吗? |
[1:20:15] | -You think not? -No. | -你认为不是吗? -不是 |
[1:20:18] | -Why not? -Because after night comes day. | -为什么不是? -因为黑夜过了就是白天 |
[1:20:23] | The people aren’t so afraid, now the war with France is being won. | 人民并没有那么害怕 现在同法国的战争将要胜利了 |
[1:20:27] | And when they stop being afraid, they rediscover their compassion. | 当他们停止惧怕后 他们又会发现自己对奴隶的怜悯 |
[1:20:32] | So the people have their compassion back. | 因此人民的同情心又回来了 |
[1:20:36] | And you still have passion. | 而且你也依然满怀激情 |
[1:20:39] | That matters more. | 那更重要 |
[1:20:59] | -Good morning, Wilber. -Morning. | -早上好 威尔伯 -早上好 |
[1:21:02] | -Get much sleep? -Not much. | -想多睡会儿吗? -不用了 |
[1:21:05] | -What time did Barbara leave? -Late. | -芭芭拉什么时候走的? -很晚 |
[1:21:08] | I mean, early. | 我意思是 很早 |
[1:21:13] | I’m afraid I’m going back to London. | 恐怕我得回伦敦了 |
[1:21:16] | -So soon? -Yes. | -这么快? -是的 |
[1:21:18] | I think the waters have worked their magic on me. | 我觉得那些水向我施了魔法 |
[1:21:22] | But before I leave, I need to send a letter to James Stephen. | 但走之前 我还要写封信给詹姆士·史蒂芬 |
[1:21:25] | -I’m going to ask him to come back to England. -For what reason? | -叫他回英国来 -原因是? |
[1:21:28] | We need to put his evidence before a select committee. | 在选举委员会前面拿出他的证据 |
[1:21:34] | Also, Barbara and I have discovered | 而且 我和芭芭拉发现 |
[1:21:36] | that we’re both impatient and prone to rash decisions. | 我们迫不及待地做出了一个轻率的决定 |
[1:21:41] | But she wants to tell you about it herself. | 但她想亲口告诉你们 |
[1:22:20] | Ladies and gentlemen, before we begin, | 女士们先生们 在开始之前 |
[1:22:24] | we will sing the hymn requested by the bride. | 我们会应新娘的要求唱一首赞美诗 |
[1:23:08] | -Delightful service. -Thank you very much. | -相当好的服务 -感谢您的到来 |
[1:23:11] | Thank you so much for coming. How are you coping with the new kitchen? | 谢谢你能来 你怎么处理你的新厨房的? |
[1:23:13] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[1:23:14] | -Thank you. -Cheers. | -谢谢 -干杯 |
[1:23:15] | “…are easier than small ones.” | “大变化比小变化要容易” |
[1:23:18] | -Francis Bacon. -Well done. | -弗郎西斯·培根 -干得不错 |
[1:23:23] | WOOh, wonderful! -Have you forgiven us yet? -Never. | -你已经原谅我们了吗? -从来没有 |
[1:23:25] | It’ll be wonderful to have you both living so near. | 你们住得离我那么近真是太好了 |
[1:23:28] | -Sir. -Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:23:29] | I do hope you didn’t come to Clapham for the tranquillity. | 我希望你来克拉彭不是为了平静生活 |
[1:23:33] | -I’m afraid we’re very noisy neighbors. -I’m counting on it. | -我们可是吵闹的邻居 -我正指望着呢 |
[1:23:41] | …any chance at all you might join us? | 想加入我们吗? |
[1:23:51] | Barbara. | 芭芭拉 |
[1:23:55] | -You have my deepest condolences. -Thank you so much. | -请接受我最深的慰问 -非常感谢您 |
[1:24:02] | But please, I beg of you, do this for me. | 但是拜托 算我求你 为我做这件事 |
[1:24:03] | Make him eat some of his pets. | 让他吃点他自己的宠物 |
[1:24:06] | -Oh, I rather like them. -I like them, too. In brandy sauce. | -我挺喜欢他们的 -我也喜欢 在白兰地沙司里 |
[1:24:18] | -Well, if you gentlemen will excuse me. -There’s no need, Barbara. | -如果你想让我… -没必要 芭芭拉 |
[1:24:21] | You’re discussing politics with your eyes. | 你在和你的眼睛讨论政治 |
[1:24:23] | You may as well do it with your mouths. | 你最好能用上你的嘴巴 |
[1:24:37] | I, uh, didn’t think you’d invite me. | 我… 没想到你会邀请我 |
[1:24:41] | I didn’t think you’d come. | 我也没想到你会来 |
[1:24:46] | -You well? -My mind’s well. | -还好吗? -我的头脑还好 |
[1:24:50] | The rest of me is fraying at the edges. | 我们这些人可是在边缘挣扎着 |
[1:24:56] | Billy, I’m going to try again. | 比利 我还想再试下 |
[1:25:02] | It’s your wedding day; I agree with everything you say. | 今天是你结婚的日子 我同意你所说的每件事 |
[1:25:05] | I never changed. | 我从没改变过 |
[1:25:08] | -I don’t change. -Well, hurrah for you. | -我也不会改变 -那为你欢呼吧 |
[1:25:12] | The mood may even be swinging back in your favor. | 那种情绪又飞回到你身上了 |
[1:25:18] | How can we live in houses like this | 我们怎么能在别人生活在箱子里的时候 |
[1:25:21] | when others are living in boxes? | 在这样的房子中过日子? |
[1:25:23] | Is that still sedition? | 还是在煽动吗? |
[1:25:27] | As your Prime Minister, I urge caution. | 作为你的首相 我希望你提高警惕 |
[1:25:30] | -And as my friend? -Oh, to hell with caution. | -然后作为朋友呢? -让警惕见鬼去吧 |
[1:25:36] | When the slaves are flogged on the wharfs, | 当奴隶们在码头上受着鞭打 |
[1:25:40] | their arms are tied to a hook on a crane | 他们的手臂挂在起重机的钩子上 |
[1:25:45] | and weights of 56 pounds | 56磅的重量 |
[1:25:50] | applied to their feet. | 加在他们的双脚上 |
[1:25:55] | The crane is raised | 起重机升起来 |
[1:25:59] | so that their feet barely touch the ground. | 他们的双脚根本不能挨着地面 |
[1:26:04] | The slaves are then | 然后奴隶就被 |
[1:26:07] | whipped with ebony bushes, comma. | 用乌木的衬套鞭打 逗号… |
[1:26:14] | To let out the congealing blood. | …任凭他们的血液凝固 |
[1:26:19] | I don’t hear the nib scratching the page. | 我可没听到鹅管笔尖在纸上刮动的声音 |
[1:26:22] | We have company, sir. | 我们有伴了 先生 |
[1:26:25] | John, it’s me, Wilber. | 约翰 是我 威尔伯 |
[1:26:33] | Leave it. | 先别管它了 |
[1:26:45] | They only told me your sight was fading. | 他们只告诉我 你的视力开始减退了 |
[1:26:47] | Well, now it’s faded altogether. | 现在几乎全部都看不见了 |
[1:26:51] | I never did things by halves. God decided I’d seen enough. | 我做事从不半途而废 上帝决定我已经看得够多了 |
[1:26:54] | -So it’s true. -What’s true? | -那是真的 -什么是真的? |
[1:26:59] | -You’re writing your account. -Uh-huh. | 你在写你自己的传记 |
[1:27:04] | I wish I could see your face. | 我希望我能看见你的脸 |
[1:27:10] | -How are you looking? -The same. | -你现在看起来怎么样? -和以前一样 |
[1:27:14] | -Still too thin. -A little fatter lately. | -还是太瘦了 -最近有点长胖了 |
[1:27:17] | Oh, she feeds you well then, this wife of yours? | 她把你养得不错 你的这位夫人? |
[1:27:20] | -She’s given me an appetite. -An appetite to change things? | -她给了我一个好胃口 -改变事情的好胃口? |
[1:27:35] | This is my confession. | 这是我的忏悔 |
[1:27:38] | You must use it. | 你得去用它 |
[1:27:42] | Names, ships’ records, | 名字 船只记录 |
[1:27:46] | ports, people. | 港口 人们 |
[1:27:48] | Everything I remember is in here. | 所有我记得的事都在这了 |
[1:27:52] | Although my memory is fading, | 虽然我的记忆力也减退了 |
[1:27:55] | I remember two things very clearly. | 但我清楚记得两件事情 |
[1:27:58] | I’m a great sinner, and Christ is a great savior. | 我是一个罪人 而基督教是我的救星 |
[1:28:03] | You must publish it. | 你必须把这出版 |
[1:28:06] | Blow a hole in their boat with it. Damn them with it! | 用它在他们的船上戳一个洞 让他们见鬼去! |
[1:28:13] | I wish I could remember all their names. | 希望我能记住所有的名字 |
[1:28:18] | My 20,000 ghosts, | 20000只幽灵 |
[1:28:22] | they all had names. | 他们都是有名字的 |
[1:28:25] | Beautiful African names. | 美妙的非洲名字 |
[1:28:30] | We called them with just grunts. | 我们却只是对他们哼一声 |
[1:28:34] | Noises. | 噪音 |
[1:28:37] | We were apes. They were human. | 我们是猿 他们是人类 |
[1:28:50] | I’m weeping. | 我哭了 |
[1:28:55] | I couldn’t weep until I wrote this. | 我写这个的时候才能哭出来 |
[1:29:09] | Didn’t I write that, too? | 那是我写的吗? |
[1:29:12] | Yes, you did. | 是的 是你写的 |
[1:29:14] | Well, now at last it’s true. | 最后这才是真实的 |
[1:29:19] | Now go, Wilber. Go! | 现在走吧 威尔伯 走 |
[1:29:23] | We have lots of work to do, you and I. | 我们有一大堆工作要做 你和我都是 |
[1:29:34] | Strange treasures in this fair world appear, | “神奇的珍宝将会在这个童话世界出现 |
[1:29:39] | strange all, and new to me. | 对我来说 它是那么的新奇” |
[1:29:47] | That is a poem by Thomas Traherne… | 那是托马·特拉赫恩的诗 |
[1:29:49] | and I have absolutely no idea what it’s about. | 我完全不知道是写的什么 |
[1:29:52] | But when I was small, I was made to learn it by heart… | 但小时候 我被大人要求把这诗熟记于心 |
[1:29:55] | so I don’t see why you shouldn’t suffer, too. | 所以我不知道 为什么你就不应该也承受这样的事 |
[1:29:57] | Clarkson! Clarkson! | 克拉克森! 克拉克森! |
[1:30:03] | Good God, he’s got his voice back. | 天啦 他的声音又回来了 |
[1:30:05] | We need you back in London straightaway! | 我们需要你马上回伦敦! |
[1:30:10] | Bollocks. | 他在胡扯什么 |
[1:30:14] | Hurry up, come on. | 快点 快啊 |
[1:30:35] | Wilber! | 威尔伯! |
[1:30:42] | -You look fine, fine. -Ah, I look wet and feeble. | -你气色不错 不错啊 -我看起来又湿又疲惫无力 |
[1:30:46] | You, however, look disgustingly like a lusty adventurer from a storybook. | 但你就像从故事里面蹦出来的令人讨厌而精力充沛的探险家 |
[1:30:50] | Come on. I’ve got a coach. The others are waiting for us at Palace Yard. | 拜托 我准备好了马车 其它人在皇家园林等着我们 |
[1:30:55] | -Don’t I get to wash or sleep? -Sleep? | -我就不能洗个澡然后睡一觉吗? -睡觉? |
[1:30:59] | You haven’t changed at all, William. | 你还是老样子 威廉 |
[1:31:15] | I called this meeting | 我举行这个会议 |
[1:31:16] | to welcome back our good friend James Stephen from the Indies. | 来庆祝詹姆士·史蒂芬从印度群岛的归来 |
[1:31:19] | But, uh, he should speak for himself. | 但他想亲自来说 |
[1:31:22] | I have here diagrams, | 我这有一些图表 |
[1:31:25] | first-hand accounts and transcripts of trials | 第一手的材料以及法庭的抄本 |
[1:31:29] | where innocent Africans have been convicted of crimes they did not commit | 那里无辜的非洲人在法庭上被控诉一些他们从没犯过的罪行 |
[1:31:34] | and were then burnt alive. | 然后人民终于爆发了 |
[1:31:36] | There are pages and pages and pages | 这些是一页又一页的 |
[1:31:41] | of first-hand accounts and figures and statistics. | 第一手材料 数据 和统计 |
[1:31:46] | On every island now, there are rebellions. | 现在每个岛上都爆发了革命 |
[1:31:49] | Haiti is in the hands of slaves. | 海地就在奴隶的手中 |
[1:31:51] | The slaves are anxious, they’re impatient for their freedom. | 奴隶们都很急切 他们迫不及待想获得自由 |
[1:31:55] | They hear about your work here. | 他们听说了你在这的工作 |
[1:31:59] | I, uh…I saw a woman and her child being beaten… | 我看见一个妇女和她的孩子被殴打… |
[1:32:04] | in a coffee field. | …在咖啡豆田上 |
[1:32:07] | And afterwards, I heard the woman tell her daughter | 之后 我听到那个妇人对她的女儿说 |
[1:32:09] | that someone was coming across the sea to save them. | 有人将会跨越海洋来解救她们 |
[1:32:15] | She said it was King Wilberforce. | 她说那是威尔伯福斯国王 |
[1:32:23] | So this time, gentlemen, we must not fail them. | 所以这次 先生们 我们不能再让他们失望了 |
[1:32:35] | What is it, James? | 怎么了 詹姆士? |
[1:32:39] | -This is not a game to them. -We know that. | -这对他们来说不是一场游戏 -我们知道 |
[1:32:42] | What I mean is, it’s not enough. | 我的意思是 这远远不够 |
[1:32:49] | If we go to Parliament with this evidence, | 如果我们带着这些证据去国会 |
[1:32:52] | there’ll be sympathy, there’ll be concern, | 那里会有同情 会有关心 |
[1:32:55] | but it’ll be just the same as every other time. | 但这和以前的每次一样 还是没有任何改变 |
[1:32:59] | Have you come back to preach hopelessness? | 你回来就是为了宣扬希望渺茫的吗? |
[1:33:01] | No. No, I’ve…I’ve had an idea. | 不 不 我已经有了一个主意 |
[1:33:05] | In my law books, I think I might’ve stumbled across something, | 在我的法律书籍中 我想我发现了某些东西 |
[1:33:09] | and I want to propose it as a strategy. | 我想把这些作为策略提出来 |
[1:33:13] | Nosus decipio. | Nosus Decipio. (拉丁文”我们欺骗”的意思) |
[1:33:16] | It’s Latin. | 这是拉丁文 |
[1:33:18] | Loosely translated, it means, | 简单地翻译下 它的意思是… |
[1:33:23] | “we cheat.” | …”我们欺骗” |
[1:34:01] | Oh, God. | 天啊 |
[1:34:09] | I don’t care how important this is. | 我不在意这到底有多重要 |
[1:34:12] | I’ll finish my shot. | 我要完成我的这一击 |
[1:34:21] | Oh, for God’s sakes, what is it? | 看在上帝的份上 这是什么? |
[1:34:23] | -We’ve decided… -We think we’ve… | -我们决定… -我们觉得… |
[1:34:27] | Billy, we’ve decided not to bring forward an abolition bill this year. | 我们决定不再上交关于废奴的议案 |
[1:34:30] | -No? -Indeed, not. | -不上交? -确实不 |
[1:34:33] | Instead we’re going to address ourselves | 我们得提出关于 |
[1:34:34] | to the issue of the use of neutral flags on cargo ships. | 那些打着中立旗帜的货船问题 |
[1:34:38] | -How unutterably dull. -Exactly. | -也不完全愚蠢 -的确 |
[1:34:41] | We’re going to suggest that French cargo ships | 我们要建议 针对法国的货船 |
[1:34:44] | sailing under the American flag of convenience | 那些打着方便的旗号挂着美国的旗帜航行的 |
[1:34:46] | be liable to seizure by privateers. | 允许私掠船查封他们(注:战时特准攻击敌方商船的民船) |
[1:34:48] | Part of the war effort. | 战争影响的一部分 |
[1:34:52] | Patriotism, all that. | 爱国主义 完全是 |
[1:34:54] | Since when have you been interested in the war effort, patriotism, and all that? | 既然我们对战争的影响那么有兴趣 还完全是爱国主义? |
[1:35:02] | I’m not. | 我可不是 |
[1:35:05] | So… I’ll continue with my game? | 所以… 我能继续我的游戏吗? |
[1:35:14] | You don’t see anything… sinister in that measure? | 在财富中 你没有看到任何险恶的东西吗? |
[1:35:19] | No. | 没有 |
[1:35:22] | -Then neither will they. -What the hell are you two talking about? | -那么他们也不会 -你们到底想说些什么? |
[1:35:27] | 80% of all slave ships sailing to the Indies | 80%的奴隶船驶往印度群岛 |
[1:35:30] | are flying the neutral American flag… | 它们都是打着中立国美国的旗号 |
[1:35:32] | to prevent them from being boarded by privateers. | 来保护它们 使其远离私掠船 |
[1:35:36] | If we possible removing that protection, | 如果我们通过取消这种保护的法案 |
[1:35:39] | no ship owner will dare allow his vessel to make the journey. | 就没有船主会让他们的船再出航了 |
[1:35:42] | But this will only apply to French ships, not British. | 这只会适用于法国船只 不是英国的 |
[1:35:46] | That’s the beauty of it. | 那就是这个方法的美妙之处 |
[1:35:47] | Once any ship raises the American flag, | 一旦任何船只升起了美国旗帜 |
[1:35:49] | by law it is neither French nor British. | 依照法令它就既不是法国的又不是英国的 |
[1:35:52] | So our slave ships will be just as liable to seizure as French ones. | 所以我们的奴隶船就很容易被当作法国船只被逮住 |
[1:35:56] | The privateers won’t care whose booty they’re taking, | 那些私掠船可不会在意他们的战利品究竟是哪里的 |
[1:35:59] | as long as they’re operating within the law. | 只要它们在法律范围内行动就可以 |
[1:36:02] | Without the protection of neutral flags, | 没有了中立旗帜的保护 |
[1:36:05] | 80% of the British slave trade will be finished overnight. | 80%的英国奴隶贸易将会在一夜之间全部毁灭 |
[1:36:10] | Dear God. | 天啊 |
[1:36:12] | But, Prime Minister, | 但是首相 我们需要… |
[1:36:15] | we need to tuck this bill away somewhere. | …把这项议案卷起来藏在某处 |
[1:36:20] | Disguise it. | 隐藏起来 |
[1:36:24] | I won’t even get on my feet in the House. | 我甚至不想把脚踏进议会 |
[1:36:27] | This would still fall short of abolition. | 这对废奴有很明显的作用 |
[1:36:30] | With their profits cut, I’d guess half the slavers will be bankrupt in two years. | 他们的利润减少 一半奴隶主将在两年内破产 |
[1:36:35] | Then we’ll pick off their M.P.S in the House, one by one. | 然后我们就可以一个接一个地捡起他们在议会中的议员席位 |
[1:36:38] | Whose idea was this? | 这是谁的主意? |
[1:36:42] | A lawyer. | 一个律师 |
[1:36:46] | Anti-French bill which is also anti-slavery. | 反法的提案也是反奴的提案 |
[1:36:54] | Don’t know why I didn’t think of this any sooner. | 那还需要再考虑吗 |
[1:37:03] | Oh, but we can’t let anyone know that we’re behind this. | 但是我们不能让任何人知道我们在背后操作 |
[1:37:06] | We need you to instruct someone to put this bill forward who’s seen as a patriot. | 让某个看起来是爱国者的人提出这个议案 |
[1:37:10] | We don’t want any fuss. | 我们可不想引起惊慌 |
[1:37:11] | We just need someone really, really…boring. | 我们只需要一个非常 非常 非常…无趣的人 |
[1:37:20] | Typically, a French ship will change its registration | 基本上 一艘法国船会改动它的登记 |
[1:37:24] | to raise the American flag and pick up a cargo of sugar in Havana. | 升起美国旗帜 然后运送一船哈瓦那的糖 |
[1:37:29] | It will then sail to Carolina… | 然后还是会驶往卡罗莱纳州 |
[1:37:33] | or Virginia…or Florida… | 或是弗吉尼亚州 佛罗里达州 |
[1:37:38] | or New York City…or even Boston. | 或是纽约市 甚至是波士顿 |
[1:37:43] | The cargo will then be unloaded onto a second ship | 货物就被卸下然后装上第二支船 |
[1:37:47] | carrying the American flag…and set sail for France. | 挂着美国旗帜 朝法国驶去 |
[1:37:52] | As things stand, neither the Royal Navy nor licensed privateers | 依此可见 不管是皇家海军还是法定私掠船 |
[1:37:58] | have power to seize such a ship. | 都没有权利来逮住这样一艘船 |
[1:38:03] | My proposition is… | 我的主张是 |
[1:38:04] | that all the ships flying the American flag | 我们可以搜查和逮捕所有的 |
[1:38:09] | be liable to search and seizure | 打着美国旗号的船 |
[1:38:12] | to put an end to this lamentable deceit | 来结束这种令人不快的欺诈 |
[1:38:15] | on the part of the French… | 特别是对于法国 |
[1:38:17] | and their Dutch and Spanish allies. | 以及荷兰和西班牙的海军 |
[1:38:19] | Mr. Speaker! I do believe the abolitionists are coming at us at a side wind. | 议长先生! 我认为废除派在间接对我们进行攻击 |
[1:38:24] | A side wind? What kind of a side wind? | 间接? 怎么个间接法? |
[1:38:28] | Uh, I’m not sure what kind of side wind. | 我也不确定是怎么样的间接手段 |
[1:38:31] | I just know that there’s something going on. | 我只知道他们一定在计划着什么 |
[1:38:33] | The Jacobites are in. | -詹姆斯二世党人进来了 -詹姆斯二世党人? |
[1:38:37] | Really, I do think you might update your invective to reflect changing times. | 是吗 我认为你是在用恶意漫骂来反映时代的变迁 |
[1:38:42] | Am I too late to call for an adjournment? | 我请求休会 还不晚吧? |
[1:38:52] | Of course, you are. | 当然 |
[1:38:56] | Now, will you let the honorable gentleman proceed? | 现在 你能让这位尊敬的先生继续吗? |
[1:39:00] | As I was saying, | 就我刚才所言… |
[1:39:04] | my proposition is that, uh, all ships | …我的主张是我们有权搜查和逮捕 |
[1:39:10] | flying the American flag, uh, | 所有打着美国旗号的法国船 |
[1:39:12] | be liable to search and seizure…to put an end to this lamentable deceit | 来结束这种令人不快的谎言 |
[1:39:15] | on the part of the French and their Dutch and Spanish… | 对于法国 荷兰以及西班牙 |
[1:39:26] | -Jackson, get into the chamber! -Right, sir! | -杰克逊 到房间里来 -是的 先生 |
[1:39:29] | Camber, chamber! Move your arse! | 卡伯 进房间! 动下你的屁股! |
[1:39:32] | -What is going on? -Just do it! | -发生了什么事? -照我说的做! |
[1:40:06] | Where the hell is everyone? | 人到底都去哪了? |
[1:40:08] | Everybody’s at the races in Epsom. They were given free tickets. | 所有人都在埃普索姆赛马 他们有免费的票 |
[1:40:13] | I saved one for you. A free gift from William Wilberforce. | 我给你留了一张 威廉·威尔伯福斯给的一件免费礼物 |
[1:40:26] | Wilby? | 威比? |
[1:40:31] | What on Earth is happening? The poor maids are terrified. | 到底发生什么事了? 可怜的女仆都怕死了 |
[1:40:36] | -I’ll bring your laudanum. -No, no! | -我马上把你的鸦片酊拿来 -不!不! |
[1:40:40] | I’ve poured it all away this morning…every drop! | 今天早上我全部倒掉了 每一滴 |
[1:40:43] | -Then I’ll fetch more. -No! I’m finished with it! | -那我就再去拿一些 -不 我已经不用那个了 |
[1:40:48] | I can’t even feel the joy of this victory. | 我甚至感受不到这场胜利的喜悦 |
[1:40:53] | This new baby will find me as myself. | 这个新生的孩子 能让我感受到自己的存在 |
[1:40:58] | -What will be his name? -Who says it’s a boy? | -他的名字是什么? -谁说他是个男孩? |
[1:41:01] | Oh, just tell me some names. Please, please, just keep talking. | 就给我说说一些名字 拜托 一直说下去 |
[1:41:04] | Uh, William if it’s a boy, Emma if it’s a girl. | 如果是个男孩的话就叫威廉 如果是个女孩的话就叫埃玛 |
[1:41:07] | Yes, it’s a boy. I’m sure of it. | 是…是个男孩 我确信 |
[1:41:11] | -How will he look? -Sweet! | -他会长什么样? -很可爱 |
[1:41:16] | He will be strong, with curly hair, but dark, like yours. | 他会很强壮 有着小卷的头发 很黑 就像你的一样 |
[1:41:21] | -He’s inside you now. -Yes, yes, he’s inside. | -他现在就在你身体里面 -是的 是的 他就在里面 |
[1:41:25] | I can almost hear him. He’s singing to us. | 我几乎可以听见他的声音 他正在对我们唱歌 |
[1:41:28] | Yes, he will have a fine voice like you. | 是的 他会像你一样有副好嗓子 |
[1:41:31] | Yes, yes, a strong voice. | 对 对 很洪亮的声音 |
[1:41:33] | And you will play with him in the garden every morning. | 每天早上你都会陪他在花园里玩 |
[1:41:37] | -Yes. -And soon we’ll have a girl and a boy… | -对 -很快我们就有一个男孩和一个女孩了 |
[1:41:40] | And a girl and a boy and… | 然后再生一个男孩 一个女孩 然后… |
[1:41:57] | Wilby! | 威比! |
[1:42:01] | Come quickly! | 快点过来! |
[1:42:05] | Come on! | 走喽 |
[1:42:22] | Please leave us now. | 让我们单独呆会儿 |
[1:42:36] | They tell me you’re improving, Billy. | 他们告诉我你已经好多了 比利 |
[1:42:39] | Bull. | 笨蛋 |
[1:42:50] | We cracked crowns, didn’t we? | 我们砸碎了皇冠 是吗? |
[1:42:53] | -We left the heads intact. -Because we’re so pathetically English. | -我们的头脑依然单纯 -因为我们是可怜的英国人 |
[1:43:04] | -We have agreed on a succession. -You’re not gone yet. | -我们已经决定好了继任者 -你还没有离开 |
[1:43:10] | I will be replaced by Lord Granville as prime minister, | 格兰威尔法官将接替我成为新首相 |
[1:43:15] | and the foreign secretary will be… Charles Fox. | 外交秘书将是查尔斯·福克斯 |
[1:43:21] | And, Wilber, | 还有威尔伯… |
[1:43:24] | Fox has already secured a guarantee from the palace | 福克斯已经得到了皇室的保证 |
[1:43:29] | they will remain neutral in the issue of the slave trade. | 他们在奴隶贸易问题上依然保持中立 |
[1:43:36] | Next time, you will be pushing at an open door. | 下一次你将会面向大众了 |
[1:43:50] | I’m scared, Wilber. | 我很怕 威尔伯 |
[1:43:55] | Of what? | 怕什么? |
[1:43:58] | At this moment, I wish I had your faith. | 这一次 我希望能拥有你的命运 |
[1:44:07] | No more excuses now, Wilber. | 再没有什么理由了 威尔伯 |
[1:44:13] | Finish them off. | 结束他们的反对吧 |
[1:44:27] | As you know, Equiano, I rarely drink. | 你知道的 厄奎亚诺 我很少喝酒 |
[1:44:31] | But today’s an exception. | 但今天例外 |
[1:44:36] | Today we’re drinking to victory. | 今天我们为胜利畅饮 |
[1:44:50] | Wish you were… | 希望你… |
[1:44:53] | here to see all this…unfolding. | …在这看到…一切正慢慢展开 |
[1:45:01] | This is one more push. | 只需要再推一下了 |
[1:45:06] | One more. | 只要一下 |
[1:45:54] | I say to this House that there is now no reason | 我同意议会说的 现在已经没有任何理由 |
[1:45:58] | why my bill should not be commended to the king. | 可以不让我的议案被推荐给国王 |
[1:46:03] | And I urge my honorable friends to vote once and for all | 我希望我尊敬的朋友们能对奴隶贸易的废除 |
[1:46:08] | for the abolition of the slave trade | 进行一劳永逸的投票 |
[1:46:11] | throughout His Majesty’s empire. | 在陛下的领土上 |
[1:46:15] | They’re taking the vote! | 他们在拉选票! |
[1:46:31] | Here’s the tally. | 这是比分 |
[1:47:14] | Order! | 秩序! |
[1:47:17] | Order! | 秩序! |
[1:47:22] | On the Home and Foreign Slave Trade Act, | 关于国内和国外奴隶贸易的法令 |
[1:47:27] | the unamended bill calling for the abolition of the slave trade | 这个未被修正的议案 要求奴隶贸易的废除 |
[1:47:31] | throughout the entire British Empire… | 在整个英国的国土上的实行 |
[1:47:36] | Noes to the left, 16. | 反对票是向左边: 16票 |
[1:47:39] | Ayes to the right, | 赞成票是向右方 |
[1:47:42] | 283 | 283票 |
[1:47:50] | I declare the bill of abolition of the slave trade…to be passed. | 我宣布 废除奴隶制的议案通过 |
[1:48:10] | Noblesse oblige. | “位高责重” (注: 此处意反讽) |
[1:48:12] | What the bloody hell does that mean? | 那到底是什么意思? |
[1:48:15] | It means, my nobility obliges me to recognize | 意思是我作为贵族 |
[1:48:17] | the virtue of an exceptional commoner. | 却领教了一个平民的杰出能力 |
[1:48:28] | Order! | 秩序! |
[1:48:30] | Order! | 秩序! |
[1:48:46] | When people speak of great men, | 当人们说到伟大的人 |
[1:48:48] | they think of men like Napoleon. | 他们会想到拿破仑这样的人 |
[1:48:52] | Men of violence. | 武力斗争的人 |
[1:48:55] | Rarely do they think of peaceful men. | 人们很难想到和平斗争的人 |
[1:49:00] | But contrast the reception they’ll receive | 但对比他们从战役中返回家园 |
[1:49:03] | when they return home from their battles. | 所受到的待遇 |
[1:49:06] | Napoleon will arrive in pomp and in power. | 拿破仑回来时 是盛况和威严 |
[1:49:10] | A man who’s achieved the very summit of earthly ambition. | 一个获得了现世最高阶级地位 充满野心的人 |
[1:49:15] | Yet his dreams will be haunted by the oppressions of war. | 在他的梦中 也时刻萦绕着对战争的苦恼 |
[1:49:22] | William Wilberforce, however, | 但是 威廉·威尔伯福斯 |
[1:49:25] | will return to his family, | 会回到他的家庭中 |
[1:49:28] | lay his head on his pillow, | 头躺在枕头上 |
[1:49:31] | and remember… | 然后记住 |
[1:49:34] | the slave trade is no more. | 奴隶贸易已经从此消失了 |