英文名称:Akeelah and the Bee
年代:2006
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:11] | *A-K* | |
[00:16] | *A-E-L* | |
[00:18] | * E-L-E-L-A * | |
[00:23] | * K-E-E * | |
[00:25] | * A-K-E-E * | |
[00:27] | * Akeelah * | |
[00:28] | * A-A-E * | |
[00:31] | * E-L-A * | |
[00:35] | * A-K * | |
[00:40] | * Akeelah, Akeelah * | |
[00:42] | * A-K-E-E-L-A-H * | |
[00:52] | Akeelah: You know that feeling where no matter what you do | 你可知道那种不管你怎么做 |
[00:55] | or where you go you just don’t fit in? | 或去哪里 就是格格不入的感觉吗? |
[00:58] | I don’t know the word for that. | 我不清楚那个单字 |
[01:00] | Alienation, estrangement… | 疏远、疏离… |
[01:03] | incompatibility? Naw, those ain’t right. | 势不两立? 不,那些都不对 |
[01:07] | But there’s gotta be a word for it, because that’s how I feel all the time. | 但一定有适合的单字 因为我一直都这么觉得 |
[01:12] | My name’s Akeelah Anderson and I’m 11 years old. | 我的姓名是阿琪拉安德森 现年11岁 |
[01:16] | And this all starts at Crenshaw Middle School | 这全起源于南洛杉矶的… |
[01:19] | in South Los Angeles. | 克兰萧中学 |
[01:35] | You’re all in the seventh grade now and I know you can do better than this. | 你们现在都七年级了 我知道你们能考得更好 |
[01:39] | So when I give you a list of words, study them. | 所以当我给你一串单字时 念就是了 |
[01:43] | Akeelah! | 阿琪拉! |
[01:45] | How long did you study for this spelling test? | 这拼字测验你准备了多久? |
[01:50] | I didn’t. | 我没准备 |
[01:55] | See me after class. Okay, you two need to turn around. | 下课后找我 好的,你们两个转过头去 |
[01:59] | Enough! | 够了! |
[02:03] | You know, you could be one of my very best students. | 你可能是我极优秀的学生之一 |
[02:06] | But you don’t turn in half your homework. | 但你一半作业都不交 |
[02:08] | Sometimes you don’t even show up for class. | 偶尔甚至缺席 |
[02:10] | – What’s going on? – I don’t know. | -怎么回事? -不知道 |
[02:18] | Have you heard of– | 你有没有听说过… |
[02:21] | have you heard of next week’s spelling bee? | 你有没有听说过下周的拼字比赛? |
[02:23] | No. | 没有 |
[02:25] | Well, I think you should sign up for it. | 我想你应该报名参加 |
[02:32] | Does he really think I’m gonna be walking around | 他真以为我会穿着短裤 |
[02:34] | with somebody in little shorts like that? He crazy! | 跟别人四处走动吗? 他疯了! |
[02:37] | – Ooh, is Devon coming back today? – Yeah. Got a two-week leave. | -戴文今天要回来? -是的,他休假两个礼拜 |
[02:41] | Your brother is fine! I got it all figured out– look. | 你哥人不错! 我全想好了… 听着 |
[02:45] | He gonna be the pilot on a big commercial jet | 他会当大型商务客机的驾驶 |
[02:47] | and I’m gonna be the flight attendant. | 我会当空姐 |
[02:50] | Got any change for an old man, girls? | 有零钱赏个老头子吗? |
[02:52] | Ain’t got no change for myself. | 我自己都没零钱了 |
[02:58] | Damn, Derrick-T’s new ride is tight! | 该死,德瑞克的新车好炫! |
[03:02] | He’s been trying to get Terrence in trouble. | 他一直想害泰伦斯惹上麻烦 |
[03:05] | Girl, your bro can get his own self in trouble. | 你哥就能害自己惹上麻烦了 |
[03:08] | – So what’d Ms. Cross want? – Nothin’. | -克萝丝老师想干嘛? -没什么 |
[03:10] | Just talking about some stupid-ass spelling bee. | 只是提到某个蠢拼字比赛 |
[03:13] | You gonna do it? | 你要参加吗? |
[03:15] | – You’d probably be good. – And get up in front of everybody? | -你可能很行的 -上台站在所有人面前? |
[03:18] | I’d probably pee in my pants. | 我很可能会尿失禁 |
[03:21] | Tell me about the boy in your class with the itty-bitty shorts. | 跟我说说你们班上 那个穿小短裤的男生 |
[03:24] | I think he’s cute. | 我认为他很可爱 |
[03:30] | Yes! | 好耶! |
[03:40] | Yes! | 好耶! |
[03:42] | – Keelie, Mama says go eat. – I’m about to get a high score. | -小琪,妈妈说去吃饭了 -我正要得高分 |
[03:45] | – One minute. – I don’t care. | -再等一会 -我不管 |
[03:46] | Mama says go eat! | 妈妈说去吃饭! |
[03:48] | Oh yeah! I’ve been dreaming about your cooking for the past five months. | 过去五个月来我一直梦寐以求 想吃到你煮的菜 |
[03:51] | Let me take that. | 我来拿 |
[03:52] | At least I got one baby appreciate what I do around here. | 至少还有一个人懂得感激 |
[03:55] | We all appreciate you. Hey– give me some sugar. | 我们全感激你 嘿…给我亲一下 |
[03:58] | – Where is Terrence? – I don’t know. Maybe still at practice. | -泰伦斯在哪里? -不知道,也许还在练习 |
[04:01] | Practice was over an hour ago. I know one thing– | 练习一小时前就结束了 我知道一件事… |
[04:03] | he better not be hanging out with no Derrick-T. | 他最好别跟德瑞克混在一块 |
[04:05] | Derrick-T? That fool still alive? | 德瑞克? 那傻瓜还活着? |
[04:07] | – Not after you get done with him. – That’s right. | -等你做掉他之后就不会了 -没错 |
[04:09] | – Hey, you. – So– | -嘿,你 -那么… |
[04:11] | how many planes have you shot down so far? | 你目前为止击落多少架飞机? |
[04:13] | So far zero. But you don’t do too much shooting sitting behind | 目前是零,在内华达州 坐在电脑荧幕后面… |
[04:16] | – a computer screen in Nevada. – Oooh, good. | -是不可能有太多射击机会的 -很好 |
[04:18] | You stay on the ground. Let them white boys go up there. | 你留在地面,让那些白人上去飞 |
[04:21] | – You stay down here where you belong. – Mama, I’m gonna have my wings | -你留在你该属于的地方 -妈,在你知道之前… |
[04:24] | and my college degree before you know it– unless this one beats me to it. | 我会有我的飞机和我的大学学位 除非这一个打败我 |
[04:27] | Not skipping class with Georgia Cavanaugh, she won’t. | 不跟乔琪亚卡冯娜一起跷课 不可能的 |
[04:29] | – Skipping class? – Only PE. | -跷课? -只有体育课 |
[04:32] | – You better not be skipping no class. – Akeelah, go turn off that television. | -你最好别跷课 -阿琪拉,去关掉电视 |
[04:35] | Hey, hey– flip it over to ESPN real quick | 嘿,快转到ESPN体育台 |
[04:38] | and let me check out that Laker score, all right? | 让我知道一下湖人队分数,好吗? |
[04:40] | I need you to talk to Terrence… | 我需要你跟泰伦斯谈… |
[04:42] | Man on TV:…no more poisonous sprays, no more glue traps, | …不再喷洒毒药,不再摆黏鼠板 |
[04:44] | and no more throwing your money away. The scientific design of the– | 不再把钱白白扔掉 这种科学设计… |
[04:48] | If you spell the next word correctly, you will be the champion. | 如果下一个单字你拼正确 你就是冠军了 |
[04:51] | – What’s this? – Akeelah, turn off the TV now. | -这是什么? -阿琪拉,马上关掉电视 |
[04:55] | – “Brunneous.” – B… | -“暗褐色” |
[04:57] | R-U-N– | |
[05:01] | N-E-O-U-S. | |
[05:04] | – Brunneous. – Congratulations. | -暗褐色 -恭喜 |
[05:06] | You are the Scripps National Spelling Bee Champion. | 你是史奎普斯全国拼字比赛冠军了 |
[05:11] | Akeelah needs to listen! | 阿琪拉必须听话! |
[05:14] | Turn it off now! | 马上关掉! |
[05:18] | Brunneous… | 暗褐色… |
[05:20] | brunneous? | 暗褐色? |
[05:26] | “Brunneous: dark brown; | “暗褐色: 深棕色 |
[05:28] | used chiefly scientifically.” | 主要用于科学上” |
[05:31] | Well, why can’t they just say brown? | 干嘛不直接说棕色? |
[05:36] | Daddy, have you ever heard of this word? | 爹地,你听过这个单字吗? |
[05:44] | Yeah, probably did. | 嗯,可能有 |
[05:52] | Cauterize, C-A-U-T-E-R-I-Z-E. | 腐蚀,C-A-U-T-E-R-I-Z-E |
[05:55] | Fortification, F-O-R-T-I-F-I-C-A-T-I-O-N. | 防御工事 |
[05:59] | Correspond, C-O-R-R-E-S-P-O-N-D… | 符合,C-O-R-R-E-S-P-O-N-D… |
[06:15] | Woman on PA: …construction on our northeast lot, | …学校东北方土地正在施工 |
[06:18] | traffic will be directed to the side alley. | 交通将被导向侧面巷弄 |
[06:21] | This will be through the month. Drop-offs will be from the south gate. | 这将持续到下个月 上下车接送请从南边大门 |
[06:27] | Hey, freak. | 嘿,怪胎 |
[06:30] | We want you to take care of our English homework. | 我们要你写我们的英文作业 |
[06:32] | – Everybody say you a brainiac. – I ain’t no brainiac. | -大家都说你是资优生 -我不是资优生 |
[06:35] | Like hell you ain’t! Always got them A’s down, right? | 不是才怪! 老是得A,对吧? |
[06:39] | Yeah, she’s scared of us. | 她怕我们 |
[06:41] | Don’t run away– | 别跑掉… |
[06:42] | I cannot thank you enough for coming down here today, Josh. | 今天非常感谢您来这里,约书亚 |
[06:45] | I’ve got the district breathing down my back. | 地方赛压得我喘不过气 |
[06:48] | The test scores have gone down again this year. | 今年测验分数又下滑了 |
[06:50] | As I said earlier, I appreciate your dilemma, Bob, | 如我之前说过 我很了解你的困境,鲍勃 |
[06:53] | but I really don’t understand what it is I have to offer. | 但我真的不懂我得提供什么 |
[06:57] | No no no, all I want you to do is look at these kids | 不不不,我只要你看看这些孩子 |
[06:59] | and tell me if you think my idea’s crazy. | 告诉我你是否觉得我的想法滑稽 |
[07:02] | I think some of them have a lot of potential. | 我认为其中一些人很有潜能 |
[07:04] | Girls! Why aren’t you in class? | 女孩子们! 为何没去上课? |
[07:06] | – She holding us up. – Akeelah! | -是她拖住我们的 -阿琪拉! |
[07:10] | Are you signed up for the spelling bee today? | 你报名了今天的拼字比赛吗? |
[07:13] | No. | 没有 |
[07:14] | I want you to come to my office, please. | 请到我办公室来 |
[07:20] | So, Ms. Cross tells me | 克萝丝老师告诉我说 |
[07:23] | you’ve never missed a word on your spelling tests. | 你的拼字测验从未写错任何字 |
[07:25] | But your attendance record leaves a little to be desired. | 但你的出席纪录有待加强 |
[07:29] | – You’re 11, did you skip a grade? – The second. | -你才11岁,你有跳级吗? -跳了两级 |
[07:35] | Akeelah, have you ever heard of the Scripps National Spelling Bee? | 阿琪拉,你曾听说过 史奎普斯全国拼字比赛吗? |
[07:39] | – I think it was on TV last week. – Yes! | -我想是上周电视上播的那个 -是的! |
[07:43] | Yes, they show it on ESPN every year. | ESPN体育台每年都会播 |
[07:45] | Middle school students from all over the country | 来自全国各地的中学生 |
[07:48] | compete in school district and regional spelling bees | 在校区地方赛 和州区拼字比赛中竞赛 |
[07:52] | trying to make it to the national spelling bee in Washington DC. | 设法晋级到华盛顿特区的 全国拼字比赛 |
[07:56] | Next year, I want one of our students there. | 明年,我要我们的学生有人上那里 |
[07:59] | So whoever wins the school bee today | 不管今天校内比赛谁获胜 |
[08:02] | gets to represent Crenshaw at the district bee | 都能代表克兰萧参加下个月的… |
[08:05] | – next month. – Why would anybody want | -地方赛 -为何会有谁想… |
[08:07] | to represents a school that can’t even put doors on the toilet stalls? | 代表一所厕所隔间 连门都没有的学校? |
[08:14] | Akeelah, if we can’t show our students can perform, | 阿琪拉,若是我们无法展现 本校学生有竞争能力 |
[08:17] | we’re not going to have money for books, let alone bathroom doors. | 我们就不会有钱买书 更遑论厕所门了 |
[08:20] | Now, I want you to do the bee today, all right? | 我要你参加今天的比赛,好吗? |
[08:22] | So everybody can call me a freak and a brainiac? | 大家好能够叫我怪胎和资优生吗? |
[08:25] | No, I ain’t down for no spelling bee. | 不,我不下场参加拼字比赛 |
[08:29] | Well, maybe you’d be “down” for spending the rest of the semester | 也许你的“下场”是剩下的学期… |
[08:33] | in detention for all of your absences. | 要为你所有缺席的课留堂 |
[08:36] | I’d like to welcome you all | 我想欢迎你们各位… |
[08:38] | to Crenshaw’s first schoolwide spelling bee. | 参加克兰萧首度全校拼字比赛 |
[08:41] | We have some very special students competing today, | 我们今天有一些 非常特殊的学生参与竞赛 |
[08:45] | so let’s give them all a round of applause. | 让我们给他们热烈的鼓掌 |
[08:50] | Whoo! | |
[08:53] | Okay, we drew numbers to see who would go first, | 好的,我们采用抽签看看谁先 |
[08:56] | and that’s Chuckie Johnson from the eighth grade. | 八年级的恰奇强森 |
[08:59] | * Hey hey hey, Chuckie ba-ba-baby. * | “嘿嘿嘿,恰奇宝宝贝” |
[09:03] | Mr. Welch, I have a question about the basketball nets. | 威奇先生,我对篮框网有疑问 |
[09:05] | Chuckie! You need to pay attention. | 恰奇! 你需要专心点 |
[09:08] | Now, we’re gonna start things off with “grovel.” | 现在,我们要从”匍匐”这个字开始 |
[09:12] | Gravel, like little rocks? | 像是小石子吗? |
[09:15] | No, grovel like | 不,匍匐是像… |
[09:18] | get down on your knees and grovel. | 跪下来,然后匍匐 |
[09:20] | Get down on my knees? What?! | 跪下来? 什么?! |
[09:22] | Just spell the word. | 拼出来就是了 |
[09:24] | Uh, G-R… | |
[09:27] | A-V-E-L. | |
[09:30] | No, Chuckie, you spelled gravel. | 不,恰奇,你拼的是砂砾 |
[09:32] | I meant grovel: G-R-O-V-E-L. | 我是指匍匐: G-R-O-V-E-L |
[09:36] | You weren’t listening. I’m sorry, Chuckie. | 你没注意听,抱歉了,恰奇 |
[09:39] | – Who cares? – Okay, next up, | -谁在乎? -好的,下一位 |
[09:42] | Akeelah Anderson. | 阿琪拉安德森 |
[09:44] | Oh, you go, girl! | 加油,女孩! |
[09:48] | Akeelah, your word is “doubt.” | 阿琪拉,你的字是”怀疑” |
[09:52] | – Doubt. – D-O-U-B-T. | -怀疑 |
[09:55] | I’m sorry, Akeelah, you have to speak up. | 对不起,阿琪拉,你得讲大声点 |
[09:58] | D-O-U-B-T. | |
[10:00] | Very good. | 非常好 |
[10:05] | Next, Calvin Baker… | 下一位,卡文贝克… |
[10:07] | P-L-A-S-I-D. | |
[10:10] | Placid. | 平稳 |
[10:12] | I’m sorry, it’s P-L-A-C-I-D. | 抱歉,是P-L-A-C-I-D |
[10:20] | Okay, Akeelah, if you get this word | 好的,阿琪拉,如果你答对这个字 |
[10:23] | you will be the winner. “Fanciful.” | 你就是冠军了 “富于幻想的” |
[10:25] | – Fan– – F-A-N-C-I-F-U-L. | -富… |
[10:28] | – Girl: Whoa. – That is correct, | 正确 |
[10:30] | and you have won Crenshaw’s inaugural spelling bee. | 你已经赢得了克兰萧中学的 初步拼字比赛冠军 |
[10:33] | Whoo! | |
[10:35] | Whatever. | 随便啦 |
[10:41] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[10:44] | Spell “prestidigitation.” | 拼一下”变戏法” |
[10:47] | I’m sorry, sir, but this girl is only 11, | 先生对不起,但这女孩才11岁 |
[10:50] | and she’s already won. Mr. Welch, what is this? | 她也已经赢了 威奇先生,这是怎么回事? |
[10:56] | Prestidigitation, can you spell it? | “变戏法”,你拼得出来吗? |
[11:08] | P-R-E-S-T-I-D-I-G-I-T-A-T-I-O-N, | |
[11:13] | prestidigitation. | 变戏法 |
[11:16] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[11:18] | Whoo! | |
[11:22] | – “Ambidextrous.” – A-M-B-I-D-E-X-T-R-O-U-S. | -“怀有二心” |
[11:28] | – “Pterodactyl.” – P-T-E-R-O-D-A-C-T-Y-L. | -“翼手龙” |
[11:32] | – “Pulchritude.” – P… | -“窈窕美丽” |
[11:39] | P-U-L-C… | |
[11:45] | R… | |
[11:47] | I-T-U-D-E… | |
[11:51] | pulchritude? | 窈窕美丽? |
[11:54] | That’s incorrect. It’s from the Latin root “pulcher” | 不正确 它是从拉丁字根”pulcher”所衍生的 |
[11:58] | and there’s an H after the C. | C的后面有一个H |
[12:04] | See? She ain’t so smart. | 瞧? 她没那么聪明嘛 |
[12:13] | – Run for it! See ya! – Bye, sweetie. | -跑吧! 再见! -拜,甜心 |
[12:17] | Akeelah, wait! | 阿琪拉,等一下! |
[12:19] | Where are you going? You did great. | 你去哪呀? 你做的很棒啊 |
[12:21] | You were spelling words I don’t know how to spell. | 你拼了许多我都不懂怎么拼的字 |
[12:24] | Mr. Welch, I told you I did not want to do this. They’re laughing at me. | 威奇先生,我说过我不想参加 她们在嘲笑我 |
[12:28] | They laugh because you intimidate them. | 她们笑是因为你威吓到她们 |
[12:30] | But if you’d stood your ground, you might have earned their respect. | 但如果你屹立不摇 可能早已赢得了她们的尊敬 |
[12:34] | Bob, the girl has potential but she needs to be coached. | 鲍勃,这女孩有潜能,但她需要训练 |
[12:40] | Do you know who that was? | 你知道那是谁吗? |
[12:42] | That was Dr. Joshua Larabee. | 他是约书亚拉勒比博士 |
[12:44] | He used to chair the English department at UCLA. | 他曾在加州大学洛杉矶分校 担任英文系教授 |
[12:47] | He and I went to college together. But get this– | 他和我是大学同学 但你听我说… |
[12:49] | when he was a kid, he went all the way to the national spelling bee. | 当他小时候,他一路过关斩将 晋级全国拼字比赛 |
[12:53] | And he thinks you have a chance of going there yourself. | 他认为你有机会到达那儿的 |
[12:56] | I’m sorry, | 对不起 |
[12:58] | but I ain’t doin’ no more spelling bees. | 但我再也不参加拼字比赛了 |
[12:59] | Akeelah– | 阿琪拉… |
[13:03] | Girl, you kicked some major booty on that stage today. | 你今天在台上艳惊四座 |
[13:06] | But I couldn’t spell pulchritude. | 但我拼不了”窈窕美丽” |
[13:09] | But you knocked all them other words right back at that dude. | 但你答出了那家伙 所问的其它所有字 |
[13:12] | They were just trick words. Everybody knows pterodactyl starts with a P. | 那些只是拐人的字 大家都知道翼手龙是P开头 |
[13:16] | Girl, if I could spell like you, I know I could be a flight attendant. | 要是我能拼得像你一样 我就知道我能当空姐了 |
[13:23] | Devon: Keelie, hey, wake up. | 小琪,醒醒 |
[13:27] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[13:30] | – Dev, are you leaving? – Yeah, gotta get back to the base. | -戴文,你要离开了吗? -是的,得回基地去了 |
[13:33] | Hey, your principal called Mama. | 你的校长打过电话给妈妈 |
[13:36] | Said you did real good in the spelling bee last week. | 说你上周拼字比赛表现很棒 |
[13:39] | – I messed up a word. – He said you got a lot of them right. | -我拼错了一个字 -他说你答对了许多的字 |
[13:42] | He also said you’ve got an opportunity | 他也说你有机会… |
[13:44] | to go to an even bigger contest next week. | 参加下周更大型的比赛 |
[13:46] | – I don’t want to do it. – Why not? | -我不想参加 -为什么不想? |
[13:49] | Everybody’s gonna be looking at me | 大家都会看着我 |
[13:51] | and there’s gonna be tons of words I don’t know. | 会有成吨我不懂的单字 |
[13:53] | So you’re scared, huh? | 所以你害怕了? |
[13:55] | How do you think I felt the first time I had to jump out of an airplane? | 你觉得我第一次不得不跳下飞机时 心里作何感想呢? |
[13:59] | I mean, my whole body said “Don’t do it.” | 我整个身体在说“别跳” |
[14:01] | But sometimes your brain gotta be smarter than your body, you know? | 但有时候你的脑子 得比身体聪明,懂吗? |
[14:05] | But I don’t like my school. | 但我不喜欢我的学校 |
[14:07] | I don’t see why I gotta do anything for them. | 我不明白为何得为他们做任何事 |
[14:12] | Then do it for Dad. | 那就算是为爸做吧 |
[14:15] | I mean, you know how he was about words. | 我是指,你知道他对文字的看法 |
[14:17] | He’d have loved to see you do something like this. | 他会很想看到你做这种事的 |
[14:19] | – What’d Mama say about it? – You know how Mama is. | -妈妈怎么说? -你知道妈妈的 |
[14:22] | She got a million things to worry about. | 她有成千上万的事情要烦恼 |
[14:25] | Tell you what, | 告诉你怎么样 |
[14:27] | just do this contest, | 去比赛就是了 |
[14:29] | and if you make it all the way to DC, | 如果你能一路抵达华府 |
[14:31] | I will parachute down to see you. | 我会跳伞下去看你 |
[14:33] | Would you like that? | 那样子喜欢吗? |
[14:52] | That is a wonderful decision, Akeelah, a wonderful decision. | 那是很棒的决定,阿琪拉 |
[14:56] | You think maybe the school could buy me a new outfit, | 你想学校有可能买件新衣服给我吗? |
[14:59] | you know, for the district bee? | 你知道,为了地方赛 |
[15:02] | Uh… I don’t know, maybe. | 不知道,也许吧 |
[15:05] | If you make it to the state regional, maybe something could be arranged. | 如果你能撑到州赛 也许可以安排 |
[15:09] | But you’re gonna have to finish in the top 10 at the district level first. | 但你必须先在地方等级比赛 进入前十名 |
[15:13] | And, Akeelah, you’re going to be going up against kids from Santa Monica, | 还有,阿琪拉,你要击败 许许多多来自圣塔蒙尼卡… |
[15:16] | Woodland Hills, Beverly Hills. | 伍兰岗、比佛利山的孩子 |
[15:18] | Some of these kids have been doing this for years and never even made it to DC. | 其中有些人已经参加过好几年 却无法到达华府 |
[15:22] | – Well, maybe I should just give up now. – No no no. | -也许我该现在就放弃 -不不不 |
[15:25] | No, I’m just saying you need to train hard. | 我只是说你需要大力训练 |
[15:28] | – With Dr. Larabee. – What? | -与拉勒比博士 -什么? |
[15:31] | I don’t need any help from him. I could do this on my own. | 我不需要他的任何帮助 我可以自行训练 |
[15:34] | Akeelah, the best spellers in the world have coaches. | 阿琪拉,全世界最棒的拼字者 都有教练 |
[15:37] | I finally got him to consider taking some time | 我终于说服他 考虑在他休息期间… |
[15:39] | during his sabbatical to work with you. | 花些时间与你合作 |
[15:41] | Please, just talk with him. | 拜托,跟他谈谈吧 |
[15:44] | Here. He doesn’t live far from here. | 拿去,他住的离这儿不远 |
[15:46] | He lives in this neighborhood? | 他住在这附近? |
[15:48] | I thought you said he was important. | 我以为你说他是重要人物 |
[15:51] | And take this, it’s a copy of last year’s spelling bee. | 这拿去,是去年拼字比赛的拷贝带 |
[15:54] | – “Sacciform.” – May I have the definition, please? | -“囊状” -请说明一下定义 |
[15:57] | Resembling a pouch. | 类似小袋子 |
[15:58] | May I have the language of origin, please? | 可否请说明原始语言呢? |
[16:00] | – Latin. – Latin? | -拉丁 -拉丁? |
[16:02] | I thought this was supposed to be English. | 我还以为这应该是英文比赛 |
[16:05] | …I-F-O-R– | |
[16:09] | “Scutellate”? Can I have the definition? | “盾形”? 请说明一下定义 |
[16:14] | “Longicollis.” | “长颈龟” |
[16:16] | – “Ginglymus.” – “Empennage.” | -“屈戌关节” -“尾翼” |
[16:19] | – “Souchong.” – “Intussusception.” | -“小种茶” -“肠套叠” |
[16:21] | – Hey, what’s dat? – Any alternate pronunciations? | -那是什么? -有不同的发音法吗? |
[16:23] | Where you been? Mama’s worried. | 你去哪了? 妈担心死了 |
[16:26] | Mama should just chill, a’ight? | 妈妈应该少穷紧张 |
[16:28] | – What you looking at? – Spelling bee. | -你在看什么? -拼字比赛 |
[16:31] | Oh yeah, I heard about that. | 嗯,我听说了那事 |
[16:34] | You going up against a bunch of rich white kids. | 你要上台对抗一群有钱的白人小孩 |
[16:37] | They gonna tear your black ass up. | 他们会撕裂你的黑屁股的 |
[16:41] | Man: Intussusception is | 肠套叠是… |
[16:43] | I-N-T-U-S-S-U-S-C-E-P-T-I-O-N. | |
[17:22] | You’re late. | 你迟到了 |
[17:24] | – You didn’t answer the door. – That’s because you’re late. | -你没应门 -那是因为你迟到了 |
[17:27] | Come in. | 进来 |
[17:29] | Come come come. | 来来来 |
[17:36] | So… | 那么… |
[17:38] | – you want to learn how to spell. – I know how to spell. | -你想学习如何拼字 -我懂得如何拼字 |
[17:41] | – Spell “staphylococci.” – Um… | 拼一下”葡萄球菌” |
[17:44] | S-T-A-F– | |
[17:47] | There is no F. It’s derived from the Greek so there can’t be an F. | 没有F,它是源自于希腊文 所以不可能有F |
[17:51] | Staphylococci: S-T-A– | 葡萄球菌: S-T-A… |
[17:54] | P-H-Y– | |
[17:56] | L-O-C-O– | |
[17:59] | C-C-I. | |
[18:01] | Winning word, national spelling bee | 全国拼字比赛获胜单字 |
[18:02] | 1987. | 1987年 |
[18:04] | The first thing most serious spellers do | 最认真的拼字者要做的第一件事 |
[18:07] | is learn all of the winning words and their origins. | 就是学会所有的获胜单字 以及那些字的起源 |
[18:10] | Well, maybe I ain’t that serious. | 或许我没那么认真 |
[18:13] | Maybe neither am I. | 或许我也没 |
[18:16] | So why are you home during the day? | 那你白天为何在家? |
[18:18] | – Ain’t you got a job? – Do me a favor, | -你没工作吗? -帮我个忙 |
[18:20] | leave the ghetto talk outside, all right? | 把那种犹太讲话方式 留在外面,好吗? |
[18:22] | Ghetto talk? I don’t talk ghetto. | 犹太讲话方式? 我不讲犹太话 |
[18:24] | Hm, “ain’t you got no job?” | “你没工作吗?” |
[18:26] | You use that language to fit in with your friends. | 你用那种语言来融入你的朋友 |
[18:29] | Here you will speak properly or you won’t speak at all. | 这里你要讲话得体,否则便不要讲 |
[18:32] | – Understood? – Yeah. | -明白吗? -嗯 |
[18:35] | Whatever. | 随便 |
[18:37] | – You can leave now. – Excuse me? | -你可以离开了 -你说什么? |
[18:40] | – I said you can leave. – How come? | -我说你可以离开了 -为什么? |
[18:42] | Because I don’t have time to waste on insolent little girls. | 因为我没空浪费时间 在傲慢无礼的小女孩身上 |
[18:46] | Insolent? I ain’t insol– | 傲慢? 我才没傲… |
[18:49] | I mean I’m not insolent. | 我是指我不傲慢无礼 |
[18:51] | It’s just the first thing you do is start doggin’ on– | 只是你一开头就不断地… |
[18:55] | criticizing the way I speak. | 批评我讲话的方式 |
[18:59] | I thought this was just about spelling words. | 我以为这仅是关于拼字 |
[19:04] | Well then, fine. | 那好吧 |
[19:13] | You know what? | 你知道吗? |
[19:16] | When I put my mind to it, I can memorize anything. | 我要是有心,就可以记住任何东西 |
[19:20] | And I don’t need help from a dictatorial, truculent, | 我不需要一位独裁、残暴… |
[19:24] | supercilious gardener. | 摆架子的园丁的帮助 |
[19:28] | I’m sorry to be so insolent. | 很抱歉如此地无礼 |
[19:39] | Lymphomatotic: L-Y-M– Laboratory: L-A-B-O-R– | 淋巴瘤: L-Y-M… 实验室: L-A-B-O-R… |
[19:43] | Preglacial… | 冰河期前… |
[19:46] | Irreferable: I-R-R… | 无法归究原因的: I-R-R… |
[19:48] | Erythroplasia: E-R-Y-T-H… | 红斑增生病: E-R-Y-T-H… |
[19:50] | – Microzoospore– – Hey. | -小游胞子… -嘿 |
[19:52] | Baby, what are you still doing up? | 宝贝,你怎么还没睡? |
[19:54] | I’ve gotta learn more words. | 我得多学点字 |
[19:56] | You gonna come see me in the district bee this Saturday? | 这周六你会来看我参加地方赛吗? |
[19:59] | – What, is that at your school? – Naw. | -怎么,在你学校吗? -不是 |
[20:02] | – Beverly Hills. – Beverly Hills? | -比佛利山 -比佛利山? |
[20:06] | Look, you got other homework. | 听着,你有其它的功课 |
[20:09] | You need to focus on that. I don’t want you spending all your time on this game. | 你需要专心在课业上 我不希望你全部时间都花在这游戏上 |
[20:12] | It ain’t a game! Are you gonna come see me in it? | 它不是游戏! 你会来看我比赛吗? |
[20:16] | You know I work at the hospital on Saturday. | 你知道我每周六医院要上班 |
[20:19] | Maybe Kiana can go with you. | 也许姬雅娜能陪你去 |
[20:21] | As long as she don’t bring that whiny baby. | 只要她别带那哭闹的宝宝去 |
[20:27] | Come on, girls, let’s go. We’re gonna be late. | 快点,我们走,要迟到了 |
[20:41] | Dang. | 该死 |
[20:43] | I hope they ain’t all here to spell. | 希望他们不是全来比赛拼字的 |
[20:45] | Okay, go get your number. | 好的,去取你的号码 |
[20:47] | – We’ll be sitting back here. – Good luck, Keelie. | -我们会坐后面这里 -祝你好运,小琪 |
[21:09] | Hi. Name? | 嗨,什么姓名? |
[21:11] | Akeelah Anderson. | 阿琪拉安德森 |
[21:14] | Right here at the top. | 最上头这里 |
[21:16] | I think you’re the first speller we’ve ever had from Crenshaw Middle School. | 我想你是克兰萧中学的 第一位参赛者 |
[21:21] | Um… how many kids are in this thing? | 这场比赛中有多少孩子? |
[21:23] | 139. | 139个 |
[21:26] | Next. | 下一位 |
[21:33] | Need some help? Don’t worry, I won’t impale you. | 需要帮忙吗? 别担心,我不会刺到你的 |
[21:37] | – This your first time? – Yeah. | -这是你第一次? -是的 |
[21:40] | – You? – Second year. | -你呢? -第二年了 |
[21:42] | I made it to nationals last year, finished 13th. | 我去年达到全国赛,结果第13名 |
[21:45] | Lucky 13. | 幸运13 |
[21:47] | You went all the way to DC? | 你一路达到华府? |
[21:50] | Three of us made it from my school in Woodland Hills. | 我们伍兰岗学校有三个达到 |
[21:52] | See that kid right there? | 看到那边那个小子吗? |
[21:55] | That’s Dylan Chiu. | 那是邱狄伦 |
[21:57] | He’s come in second place at nationals for two years in a row. | 他连续两年在全国比赛中 拿到第二名 |
[22:00] | This is his last year and everybody thinks he’s gonna win. | 这是他最后一年 大家都认为他会赢 |
[22:03] | Frankly, I’d like to shove him off a steep precipice. | 坦白说,我很想把他推下陡峭悬崖 |
[22:08] | Hey, my name is Javier. | 嘿,我叫贾维尔 |
[22:09] | – I’m Akeelah. – Hope you make the top 10. | -我是阿琪拉 -希望你进入前十名 |
[22:11] | I hope I’m not the first one out. | 我希望我不是第一个出局的 |
[22:13] | Man: Will all the spellers take their positions on stage, please? | 请所有拼字者就台上位置 |
[22:16] | Remember, if you don’t know how to spell a word, spell it the way it sounds. | 记住,如果你不知道怎么拼 就照发音去拼 |
[22:19] | Kids mess up all the time when they think they’re being thrown curveballs, | 小孩子常常搞混 以为对方丢的是曲球 |
[22:23] | – and they’re not. Good luck. – Good luck to you too. | -结果却不是,祝你好运 -也祝你好运 |
[22:25] | – Thank you. – E… | -谢谢 |
[22:28] | M… | |
[22:30] | B-R… | |
[22:33] | I… | |
[22:35] | C-A… | |
[22:38] | T-I-O-N, | |
[22:42] | embrocation. | 涂擦剂 |
[22:53] | – “Rhesus.” – Recess? | -“恒河猴” -黄河猴? |
[22:56] | May I have a definition, please? | 可以说明一下定义吗? |
[22:58] | A brownish yellow monkey of India. | 一种印度的黄褐色猴子 |
[23:01] | Ah, rhesus. | 啊,恒河猴 |
[23:04] | R-H-E-S-U-S, | |
[23:06] | rhesus. | 恒河猴 |
[23:08] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[23:24] | Number 54? | 54号? |
[23:35] | Woman: “Eminent.” | “杰出” |
[23:40] | Man: Did you hear the word? | 你有听见这个字吗? |
[23:42] | I’m not sure if you’re saying imminent or eminent. | 我不清楚你是说急促或杰出 |
[23:47] | – Would you like a definition? – That’d be cool. | -你想听一下定义吗? -那会满好的 |
[23:54] | Woman: Eminent: rising above other things or places. | 杰出: 远胜于其它事物或地方 |
[23:59] | High; lofty… | 高耸、崇高… |
[24:01] | eminent. | 杰出 |
[24:03] | E-M-I-N-E-N-T, | |
[24:09] | – eminent? – That’s correct. | -杰出? -正确 |
[24:24] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[24:32] | “Hypertrophic.” | “肥大” |
[24:34] | H-Y-P-E-R-T-R-O-P-H-I-C, | |
[24:37] | – hypertrophic. – That’s correct. | -肥大 -正确 |
[24:48] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[24:55] | Woman: “Concierge.” | “礼宾部经理” |
[24:57] | Is that like a guy who stands around in a hotel? | 是像站在饭店周围的人吗? |
[25:00] | Man: Speak into the mike, please. | 请用麦克风讲 |
[25:02] | And yes, it’s a head porter or doorkeeper. | 是的,是服务生或门房的主管 |
[25:06] | Akeelah: C-O-N-C– | |
[25:09] | I-E-R-G-E. | |
[25:12] | Man: That’s correct. | 正确 |
[25:18] | You’re doing great! | 你做的很棒! |
[25:20] | I’m getting lucky. | 运气好罢了 |
[25:22] | – I could be getting words like– – Polydactyly. | -我可能会碰到一些字,像是… -多指症 |
[25:29] | We’re down to 11 spellers. | 剩下11位拼字者了 |
[25:32] | The top 10 qualify for the Southern California regional finals. | 前十名有资格参加 南加州地区决赛 |
[25:37] | In the next round– | 下一回合中… |
[25:42] | –if you miss a word do not leave the stage– | 如果拼错了,不要离开台上 |
[25:49] | –as you may have an opportunity to compete for any remaining places. | 因为你可能有机会 争夺剩余的名次席位 |
[25:53] | Kiana, get that baby out of here. | 姬雅娜,抱那婴儿出去 |
[25:59] | So… | 那么… |
[26:03] | let’s begin. | 开始吧 |
[26:05] | …L-L-O-G-I-Z-E, syllogize. | …L-L-O-G-I-Z-E,论证 |
[26:10] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[26:23] | “Synecdoche.” | “提喻法” |
[26:29] | Si-neck-do-kee? | 地域法? |
[26:31] | Synecdoche. | 提喻法 |
[26:35] | You wanna tell me what that means? | 你想告诉我那是什么意思吗? |
[26:38] | A figure of speech in which a part is used for a whole; | 一种修辞法,以局部代替整体 |
[26:42] | an individual for a class; | 以个人代替班级 |
[26:45] | a material for a thing; or the reverse of any of these. | 以材质代替物品,诸如此类 |
[26:57] | Man: We need you to spell the word. | 我们需要你拼出这个字 |
[27:01] | S… | |
[27:05] | I… | |
[27:09] | N… | |
[27:11] | E… | |
[27:15] | C… | |
[27:17] | D-O… | |
[27:25] | K-E-Y? | |
[27:27] | Synecdoche? | 提喻法? |
[27:33] | Woman: The correct spelling is | 正确拼法是… |
[27:35] | S-Y-N-E-C– | |
[27:38] | D-O-C-H-E. | |
[27:48] | Man: If you spell this correctly, | 如果你拼对了 |
[27:51] | you’ll be our 10th and last finalist. | 你就是我们的第十位 兼最后决赛选手 |
[27:53] | Woman: “Carmagnole.” | “革命之歌” |
[28:00] | Could I get a definition, please? | 可以说明一下定义吗? |
[28:02] | A lively song and street dance. | 一种活泼的歌和街舞 |
[28:06] | Um… | |
[28:07] | C… A… | |
[28:11] | R… | |
[28:13] | M… A… | |
[28:27] | G-N-O-L-E, carmagnole. | G-N-O-L-E,革命之歌 |
[28:32] | That’s correct and that means you are our 10th and last finalist | 正确,那表示你是我们的 地方赛的第十位… |
[28:37] | for the district bee. | 兼最后决赛选手 |
[28:42] | They cheated! | They cheated! 他们作弊! 他们作弊! |
[28:45] | I saw them! That boy’s mama helped him out. | 我看到了! 那男孩的妈妈帮助他 |
[28:48] | Man: What– excuse me. | 什么… 抱歉 |
[28:51] | – Who are you? – I’m Keelie’s sister. | -你是谁? -我是小琪的姊姊 |
[28:53] | I was standing back there and I saw that boy’s mama give him the letter G. | 我当时站在后面那里 我看到那男孩的妈妈给他G这个字母 |
[28:57] | She was saying “geeeee.” | 她在说”G” |
[29:00] | He knew the word! I mean– it’s one we studied. | 他晓得这个字的! 我是指…我们有学过 |
[29:03] | – He knew it. – Ma’am… | -他知道它的 -夫人… |
[29:04] | did you help your child spell the word? | 你有帮忙你的孩子拼这个字吗? |
[29:09] | Ma’am, this is serious business. | 夫人,这是严肃的比赛 |
[29:15] | Oh, you’re damn right it’s serious! You are gonna give these kids ulcers! | 你该死的说对了,是很严肃! 你要挑这些孩子弊病! |
[29:19] | Do you know how long he has studied for this? | 你知不知道他为了这比赛 准备了多久? |
[29:22] | – He knew that word. – No, | -他知道那个字的 -不 |
[29:24] | I didn’t. | 我不知道 |
[29:30] | I’m sorry, number 62, | 很抱歉,62号 |
[29:33] | you are disqualified from competition. | 你丧失了比赛资格 |
[29:36] | Which means, number 54, | 也就表示,54号… |
[29:38] | if you can spell one more word correctly | 如果你再拼正确一个字 |
[29:41] | you’ll be our 10th and last finalist. | 就会是我们的第十位 兼最后决赛选手 |
[29:54] | “Pastiche.” | “拼贴” |
[30:00] | P-A-S-T-I-C-H-E, | |
[30:05] | pastiche. | 拼贴 |
[30:07] | That’s correct. That means you’ve qualified | 正确 那表示你有资格… |
[30:10] | for the Southern California regional finals. | 参加南加州地区决赛 |
[30:17] | Here’s my number. We have a spelling club in my school, maybe you | 这是我的电话号码 我们学校有拼字社,也许你… |
[30:20] | – should come practice with us sometime. – That sounds fun. | -改天应该过来与我们一块练习 -听起来满好玩的 |
[30:23] | Yeah, it’s cool. Hey, there’s my folks. I’ll catch you later. | 是满不错的,嘿,我家人在那边 晚点再找你 |
[30:26] | – Okay. Bye. – Bye. | -好的,拜 -拜 |
[30:29] | Hey, check it out– look at this. They’re gonna be at USC this summer. | 嘿,看呀…看看这个 今年夏天会去南加大了 |
[30:33] | Just think, Akeelah, all you’ve got to do is place in the top three | 想一下,阿琪拉 你只需进入州赛的前三名 你就会去华盛顿特区了 |
[30:37] | of the state regionals, and you’re going to Washington DC. | |
[30:41] | Not if I can’t spell synecdoche. | 我不会拼提喻法就不行 |
[30:44] | Uh-oh, y’all, look. | 你们看 |
[30:46] | I told you to wear a shirt and tie. As long as you live in my house | 我叫你要穿衬衫打领带的 只要你住在我房子里… |
[30:49] | – you do what I say. What did I say? – Ma– | -就要照我的话做,我是怎么说的? -妈… |
[30:50] | – No drugs, no gangbangin’– – Why you stressing me? | -不准碰毒品、混帮派… -你为何逼迫我? |
[30:53] | –and no $300 watches. Take it off. | 也不准戴三百美元的手表,脱下 |
[30:54] | – Derrick-T gave me this. Yes. – He did? | -德瑞克送我的 -是吗? |
[30:56] | – Then I’m gonna give it right back. – Mom? | -那马上还给他 -妈? |
[30:58] | What?! You two get inside. | 什么?! 你们俩进屋去 |
[31:00] | – Take it off. – But, Mama, I made it. | -脱下 -可是妈,我成功了 |
[31:02] | – Made what? – Made the cut. | -成功了什么? -比赛成功过关了 |
[31:06] | I’m going to the regional bee. | 我要去州赛了 |
[31:08] | While you’re doing that, I’m gonna be identifying your brother in the morgue. | 你比赛的时候 我会在停尸间认你哥的尸 |
[31:12] | – No you’re not. Ma– – Yes, I am. Get inside before | -不,你不会,妈… -我会的,快进去 |
[31:15] | I really embarrass your behind. | 免得我等会教你真正难堪 |
[31:16] | – Akeelah? – Akeelah, get in here! | -阿琪拉? -阿琪拉,进来! |
[31:21] | It’s okay, Mr. Welch. | 没关系,威奇先生 |
[31:24] | I’ll see you later. | 回头见了 |
[31:32] | Guess what. | 猜猜怎样 |
[31:37] | I’m going to the regional bee. | 我要去州赛了 |
[32:29] | Radio: *…cold blooded killers with medieval minds * | |
[32:31] | * The sober overdose, poems roam like freight trains… * | |
[33:06] | Dylan? | 狄伦? |
[33:11] | I’m Akeelah. | 我是阿琪拉 |
[33:17] | Javier said I can come and join the study group today. | 贾维尔说我今天可以来加入研习团 |
[33:20] | All those rejects do that. | 凡是没希望的人才那样 |
[33:23] | My father coaches me privately. | 我父亲私下训练我 |
[33:25] | Who’s your coach? | 谁是你的教练? |
[33:28] | – I don’t got one. – How many spelling bees have you won? | -我没有 -你赢过几次拼字比赛? |
[33:31] | Just the one at my school. | 就我学校那一次 |
[33:36] | Spell “xanthosis.” | 拼一下”黄肤症” |
[33:40] | – Z-A– – It starts with an X. | -是X开头 |
[33:43] | If that idiot hadn’t been caught cheating | 要是那个白痴没被逮到作弊 |
[33:46] | you wouldn’t have made the cut. | 你也不会过得了关的 |
[33:52] | – “Euphoric.” – Euphoric is an adjective. | -“愉悦的” -愉悦的是形容词 |
[33:56] | Origin Greek. | 源于希腊文 |
[33:58] | It means like feeling great and everything. | 意思是像感觉很棒等等 |
[34:00] | Either spell the word or take a shot. | 看是要拼出字来或投篮 |
[34:02] | If you miss either one you get a strike. Three strikes, you’re out. | 任何一样失败就得一个X 三个X就出局了 |
[34:08] | Euphoric, E-U– | 愉悦的,E-U… |
[34:11] | P-H-O-R-I-C… | |
[34:17] | euphoric. “Psoriasis.” | 愉悦的 “牛皮癣” |
[34:19] | Are you taking Latin at your school? Psoriasis is a noun, origin Greek. | 你在学校有修拉丁文吗? 牛皮癣是名词,源于希腊文 |
[34:24] | Are you kidding? My school barely has enough money for kickballs. | 你在开玩笑吗? 我的学校几乎不够钱买球了 |
[34:28] | – There’s no Latin classes. – Latin helps you understand words. | -没有拉丁课 -拉丁文帮助你了解文字 |
[34:32] | Psoriasis is like itchy skin. | 牛皮癣是像生疥癣的皮肤 |
[34:34] | Maybe your mom could drive you up here to take it with us. | 也许你妈可以载你来这儿 与我们一块学习 |
[34:37] | I don’t know. This is all starting to sound real heavy. | 不知道 这一切开始听起来真正沉重 |
[34:40] | It is heavy. Spelling bees are serious shit. | 的确沉重 拼字比赛是严肃的事 |
[34:43] | I think I’ll take a shot. | 我想我要投篮 |
[34:53] | On second thought, could I spell the word? | 再回头想想,我可以拼字吗? |
[34:56] | At Crenshaw they think I’m a freak. | 在克兰萧,别人认为我是怪胎 |
[34:58] | Don’t worry. They think we’re freaks here too. | 别担心 在这里别人也认为我们是怪胎 |
[35:01] | Hey, there’s my mom. Need a ride? | 我妈来了,需要载你一程吗? |
[35:03] | Oh… naw. My mom’s gonna pick me up. | 不用了,我妈会来接我 |
[35:07] | She should be here soon. | 应该就快到了 |
[35:11] | Hey, I’m having a birthday party in a few weeks. | 几周后我要举办生日派对 |
[35:13] | You want to come? | 你想来吗? |
[35:15] | Maybe. If I can. | 也许,要是我方便的话 |
[35:18] | It was cool seeing you again, Akeelah. Bye. | 很高兴再次见到你,阿琪拉,拜 |
[35:21] | Bye. | 拜 |
[35:54] | Where the hell have you been? | 你究竟去哪了? |
[35:57] | – Studying. – Studying where? | -念书 -在哪念书? |
[36:03] | – Woodland Hills. – Woodland Hills? | -伍兰岗 -伍兰岗? |
[36:05] | What you doing there? | 你去那里做什么? |
[36:08] | They got a spelling club. | 他们有拼字社 |
[36:10] | Did Mr. Welch take you? ‘Cause ain’t nobody call me. | 威奇先生载你去的吗? 因为没人通知我 |
[36:17] | I went by myself. I didn’t think the bus ride would take so long. | 我自己去的 我想搭公车花不了很久时间 |
[36:20] | – I’m sorry. – Akeelah Anderson! | -对不起 -阿琪拉安德森! |
[36:24] | You done lost your mind? You 11 years old. | 你头壳坏了吗? 你才11岁大 |
[36:27] | You don’t be taking a bus to Woodland Hills by yourself. | 你不能一个人搭公车去伍兰岗 |
[36:29] | – There’s nobody around to take me. – That’s ’cause I work. | -又没人能载我去 -那是因为我要上班 |
[36:33] | That’s what you said on the weekend. | 你周末时也是那么说 |
[36:35] | All the other kids have their parents at the district bee. | 其他孩子的父母都有去观看地方赛 |
[36:38] | Maybe the other kids have parents who got more time on their hands. | 也许其他孩子的父母 有更多的空闲时间 |
[36:42] | Look, I’m not having another child of mine disappearing at all hours. | 听着,我不要我的另一个孩子 整天不见人影 |
[36:45] | So if this spelling thing means sneaking off to the suburbs by yourself, | 所以如果这拼字的事 表示自己一个人偷溜去郊区 |
[36:48] | – I’m calling it all off. – We can’t call it off! | -我要全部取消 -我们不能取消啦! |
[36:51] | – I’m going to the regional bee. – Not if you flunk out of school. | -我要去州赛 -如果你学分不及格就不行 |
[36:54] | I just got a letter saying you gotta take summer school to make up | 我刚收到一封信 写说你得暑修,好补足… |
[36:57] | – for all these classes you skipped. – But, Mama, I hate Crenshaw! | -你所有跷课的时数 -可是妈,我讨厌克兰萧! |
[37:01] | It is so boring there and nobody cares. | 那里好无聊,也没人关心 |
[37:04] | But you think they care about you in Woodland Hills? | 但你认为伍兰岗的人会关心你? |
[37:07] | At least they got Latin classes | 至少他们有拉丁课 |
[37:08] | and the kids don’t have to study in their stairwells. | 学生也不必在楼梯井念书 |
[37:10] | Good for them. But until you finish summer school at Crenshaw | 对他们有益 但在你完成克兰萧暑修之前 |
[37:14] | – ain’t gonna be no more spelling bees. – But, Mama, I got to get ready | -不准参加任何拼字比赛 -可是妈,我得作好准备… |
[37:18] | for the state bee during the summer. | 参加暑期间的州赛 |
[37:20] | You just gonna have to do that next year, now, aren’t you? | 你只好明年再比了,是不是? |
[37:23] | – But that’s not fair! – Not only is it fair, | -但那不公平! -不但公平 |
[37:25] | it’s final. | 而且没得商量 |
[37:38] | You’d let me do it. | 你会让我去做的 (南加州地区拼字比赛 家长同意书) |
[38:08] | 1979, maculature: | 1979年,吸墨纸: |
[38:11] | M-A-C-U-L-A-T-U-R-E. Origin is Latin. | M-A-C-U-L-A-T-U-R-E,源于拉丁 |
[38:14] | 1990, fibranne: F-I-B-R-A-N-N-E. French. | 1990年,黏胶短纤维: F-I-B-R-A-N-N-E,法文 |
[38:18] | 1996, vivisepulture: V-I-V-I-S-E-P-U-L-T-U-R-E. | 1996年,活埋: |
[38:23] | Latin. | 拉丁 |
[38:25] | I learned all the winning words since 1925 | 我学了1925年起的所有获胜单字 |
[38:28] | just like you said I should. | 就像你说我应该学的 |
[38:32] | Sorry for being so insolent last time. | 很抱歉上次那么无礼 |
[38:34] | That’s not gonna happen no more. | 那不会再发生了 |
[38:36] | Any… more. | 再也不会了 |
[38:38] | I promise. | 我发誓 |
[38:40] | I was wondering if you might reconsider coaching me for the state bee. | 不知道你可否重新考虑 训练我好参加州赛 |
[38:47] | ‘Cause I need a coach. | 因为我需要一名教练 |
[38:50] | Bad. | 非常 |
[38:53] | Badly. You need a coach badly. | 非常地 你非常地需要一名教练 |
[38:57] | Come in. | 进来 |
[39:04] | Come in, come in. | 进来,进来 |
[39:12] | That’s a very pretty lady. Is she your wife? | 非常美丽的女士,是你老婆吗? |
[39:16] | Listen, you got very lucky at the district bee. | 听着,你在地方赛非常幸运 |
[39:19] | The competition at state level is much stronger. | 州赛等级更加激烈 |
[39:23] | So if you… and I were to prepare for that, | 所以如果你我要准备参加 |
[39:26] | we’d have to do it on my schedule. | 就得遵照我的课表进行 |
[39:28] | So we’d have to work three hours each morning starting at 9:00. | 每天早上九点钟开始 练习三小时 |
[39:32] | – Can you handle that? – Well, I do have summer school. | -你没有问题吧? -我是有暑修课程 |
[39:35] | But Mr. Welch said working with you could take the place of it. | 但威奇先生说 与你一块练习可以代替它 |
[39:38] | Isn’t that for students who don’t perform satisfactorily during the year? | 那不是学年表现欠佳的学生 才要上的吗? |
[39:43] | Well, sometimes it’s for kids want to get ahead | 有时候是给那些想在明年… |
[39:48] | – for next year. – Yes, please put that down. | -学业领先的小孩上的 -是的,请把那个放下 |
[39:51] | Just– yeah. | 就… 是的 |
[39:57] | Have you– have you got any goals? | 你有没有任何目标? |
[40:00] | – Hmm? – Goals– | 目标… |
[40:02] | what would you like to be when you grow up? | 你长大后想当什么? |
[40:04] | A doctor, a lawyer, a standup comic. | 医生、律师、脱口秀谐星 |
[40:07] | I don’t know. The only thing I’m good at is spelling. | 不知道,我唯一擅长的是拼字 |
[40:16] | Go over there | 过去那边 |
[40:18] | and read the quotation that’s on the wall. | 念一下墙上的语录 |
[40:25] | Read it aloud please. | 请大声念出来 |
[40:28] | “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. | “最深沉的恐惧不是我们能力不足 |
[40:33] | Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. | 最深沉的恐惧是 我们的力量深不可测 |
[40:37] | We ask ourselves | 我们扪心自问 |
[40:39] | ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, | “要成为聪明耀眼 才华洋溢的我是谁?” |
[40:43] | talented and fabulous?’ | |
[40:45] | Actually, | 事实上 |
[40:47] | who are you not to be? | 你不想成为的是谁? |
[40:51] | We were born to make manifest | 我们生来注定要彰显… |
[40:53] | the glory of God that is within us. | 存于我们内心之上帝的荣光 |
[40:56] | And as we let our own light shine, | 当我们让自己的光芒闪耀时 |
[40:58] | we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” | 不知不觉中 也给予其他人榜样去效法” |
[41:05] | Does that mean anything to you? | 那段对你有任何意义吗? |
[41:09] | – I don’t know. – It’s written in plain English. | -不知道 -是用普通英文写的 |
[41:13] | What does it mean? | 它有何意义? |
[41:17] | – That I’m not supposed to be afraid. – Afraid of what? | -我不该害怕 -害怕什么? |
[41:22] | Afraid of… | 害怕… |
[41:27] | me? | 我? |
[41:37] | This national spelling bee is a tough nut. | 全国拼字比赛难上青天 |
[41:40] | I’ve seen it chew kids up and spit them out. | 我见过它咀嚼了孩子 又将他们吐了出来 |
[41:42] | So if you want to get there you can’t be a shrinking violet. | 所以如果你想到达那里 就不能畏首畏尾 |
[41:45] | You have to stand up and show them what you can do. | 必须勇于站出来 给他们见识你的本事 |
[41:47] | All right? | 好吗? |
[41:52] | And I’ll brook no nonsense. You show up on time | 我不会容忍儿戏,要准时出现 |
[41:55] | with no attitude or it’s over. | 不耍脾气,否则就拉倒 |
[41:58] | Agreed? | 同意吗? |
[42:02] | Agreed. | 同意 |
[42:09] | * And baby, you should know that you ain’t… * | “宝贝,你应该知道你并非…” |
[42:12] | Here it is, here it is. Stop stop stop stop. | 到了,就这里,停停停 |
[42:15] | Girl, Mom would trip if she knew we borrowed the car for this. | 妈如果知道我们借车来干这事 她会气翻的 |
[42:19] | That’s why Mama ain’t gonna know. | 所以才不让妈知道嘛 |
[42:23] | Come on, Georgia. | 来吧,乔琪亚 |
[42:26] | Um… | |
[42:30] | I’m gonna go to the mall with Kiana. | 我要跟姬雅娜去购物中心 |
[42:32] | But I thought you wanted to go to this party. | 但我以为你想参加这派对 |
[42:37] | Hey, Akeelah! | 嘿,阿琪拉! |
[42:43] | – Are you sure? – Yeah. | -你确定? -嗯 |
[42:47] | Come on, let’s go. | 快点,我们走 |
[42:49] | How are you? Oh, thank you. | 你好吗? 哦,谢谢 |
[43:00] | – Akeelah: Why’d you invite him? – My dad’s friends with his dad. | -你为何邀请他? -我爸和他爸是朋友 |
[43:03] | I’m surprised he showed up. Hey, you want to see my house? | 我很惊讶他会出现 嘿,想看看我家吗? |
[43:07] | – Yeah. – Let’s go. | -是的 -走吧 |
[43:09] | This is my father’s office. | 这是我爸的办公室 |
[43:12] | He’s a journalist and he’s written like a bunch of books. | 他是新闻记者,也写过一大堆书 |
[43:17] | What’s your father do? | 你父亲是做什么的? |
[43:20] | My daddy… | 我爸爸… |
[43:22] | he used to work for the city parks. | 他过去替市府公园工作 |
[43:26] | Man, you got a lot of friends. | 老天,你朋友真多 |
[43:29] | I never had a birthday party this big. | 我从没办过这么大的生日派对 |
[43:31] | I’d think you’d have lots of friends. | 我想你会有许多朋友的 |
[43:39] | – Why’d you do that? – I had an impulse. | -你为何那么做? -一时冲动 |
[43:44] | Are you gonna sue me for sexual harassment? | 你要告我性骚扰吗? |
[43:52] | That was fun. | 真有趣 |
[43:54] | What are they doing down there? | 他们在底下做什么? |
[43:56] | Javier: Oh no, Dylan brought his Scrabble games. | 不好,狄伦带来了他的字谜游戏 |
[43:59] | Scrabble? | 字谜? |
[44:01] | Dylan: I get 30 seconds for each board. | 每次排板子有30秒的时间 |
[44:04] | We need one more. Who wants to play? | 还需要一个人,有谁想玩? |
[44:07] | I will. | 我 |
[44:14] | Javier: And right out of the gate, Roman scores 32 points | 旗开得胜,罗马得了32分 |
[44:17] | with “birch” on the double-word score. | 填了两倍分数的”桦树” |
[44:19] | Dylan counters with the immediate use of Z for 39 big ones. | 狄伦随后立即用了Z得到39高分 |
[44:24] | Polly tests the water with “acorn.” | 波莉用”橡实”初试啼声 |
[44:28] | And Dylan answers with a body blow: “beacon” for 20. | 而狄伦回以重挫: “培根”得了20分 |
[44:33] | Holy cannoli. | 我的天啊 |
[44:37] | Right off the bat, Akeelah uses all her letters | 一鸣惊人 阿琪拉用了她所有的字母 |
[44:41] | getting 50 extra points | 多得了50分 |
[44:43] | for a whopping 82. | 累积到惊人的82分 |
[44:47] | What will Dylan do? | 狄伦会怎么办? |
[44:49] | He’s fighting the clock. | 他在与时间作战 |
[44:51] | You could cut the tension with a butter knife. | 你可以用把涂奶油刀 割断这紧张情绪 |
[44:54] | Shut up. | 闭嘴 |
[45:04] | Shazam! | 帅呀! |
[45:05] | Dylan gets his own bingo for 76 points. | 狄伦得到了宾果76分 |
[45:16] | It’s come down to this. After having crushed all five opponents, | 目前局面如下 在击垮了五名对手之后 |
[45:20] | Dylan has only Akeelah to beat. | 狄伦只剩阿琪拉要打败了 |
[45:22] | But she’s ahead by 21 and has only a few letters left. | 但她领先21分 且只剩几个字母可用了 |
[45:26] | Is this an upset in the making? | 快要失败了吗? |
[45:28] | What kind of birthday party is this? | 这算哪门子派对啊? |
[45:39] | Yowza! Using the triple word score, Dylan charges ahead by six. | 哇塞! 利用三倍分数的字 狄伦反败为胜领先6分 |
[45:50] | Just go. | 尽管下吧 |
[46:03] | Booyah! Akeelah’s in the lead by 12 points and had only one letter left. | 厉害! 阿琪拉领先12分 并且只剩一个字母了 |
[46:06] | But this could be Dylan’s final play. | 但这可能是狄伦的最后出手机会 |
[46:16] | Arrivederci, sweetheart. | 再见了,甜心 |
[46:21] | 12 points ties the game, | 得12分平了这局比赛 |
[46:23] | but Dylan gets Akeelah’s last two points. | 但狄伦抢了阿琪拉上次的两分 |
[46:26] | He wins a heartbreaker. | 他赢的很险 |
[46:31] | Wow, Akeelah. No one ever gets that close to beating Dylan. | 哇,阿琪拉 没人曾那么接近击败狄伦边缘 |
[46:34] | But I didn’t beat him. | 但我没击败他 |
[46:38] | Girl, you passed up the mall to play Scrabble? | 你不去购物中心来玩字谜? |
[46:44] | Dylan: She just got lucky. | 她只是碰巧运气好 |
[46:46] | Father: If you can barely beat a little black girl at a silly board game, | 如果你在愚蠢的木板游戏 勉强击败一个黑人小女孩 |
[46:50] | how do you expect to win the national bee? | 如何赢得了全国比赛呢? |
[46:55] | Listen! | 注意听! |
[46:57] | We’re not coming in second again this year. | 今年不准再拿第二名 |
[47:00] | We’re going to win. | 我们要赢 |
[47:03] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[47:09] | Akeelah: “He began to have a dim feeling | “他开始产生一种模糊的感觉 |
[47:11] | that to attain his place in the world | 要达到他在世上的地位 |
[47:13] | he must be himself and not another.” | 他必须作他自己,而非别人” |
[47:16] | Dr. Larabee, this book is too heavy. | 拉勒比博士,这本书太沉重了 |
[47:19] | Good. It’ll develop your arm muscles. | 很好,那会锻炼你的臂肌 |
[47:22] | I thought we were developing my vocabulary. | 我以为我们要锻炼我的字汇 |
[47:24] | We are. Please continue reading. | 我们是啊,请继续念 |
[47:26] | But I already know most of the words in this speech. | 但我已经懂得这演讲稿中 大部份的字 |
[47:28] | It’s not a speech. It’s an essay. | 那不是演讲稿,那是论文 |
[47:31] | By WEB DuBois, the first black man | 韦柏杜波依斯所著 他是第一位得到… |
[47:33] | to receive a PhD from Harvard University. | 哈佛大学博士学位的黑人 |
[47:35] | Maybe we should be studying more big words. | 也许我们应该要学习更多重大的字 |
[47:37] | – Spell “cabalistic.” – C-A-B-A-L-I-S-T-I-C, | -拼一下”犹太神秘哲学” |
[47:43] | – cabalistic. – And when did you learn that one? | -犹太神秘哲学 -你几时学会那个字的? |
[47:46] | About two minutes ago in this book. | 大约两分钟前,从这本书中学的 |
[47:48] | But in the time it took to learn that one word, | 但在我学会那一个字的时间内 |
[47:51] | Dylan probably learned 20. | 狄伦很可能已学了20个字 |
[47:53] | And those 20 words won’t mean anything to him. | 那20个字对他不具任何意义 |
[47:56] | He’s just a little robot memorizing lists of words. | 他只是一个背下成串单字的机器人 |
[48:00] | The people we are studying: DuBois, Dr. King, JFK, | 我们在学习的这些人: 杜波依斯、金博士、甘�迪 |
[48:03] | these people used words to change the world. | 这些人运用文字来改变世界 |
[48:05] | -…the world– – And they didn’t acquire | -这世界… -他们的字汇… |
[48:08] | their vocabulary by rote memorization. | 不是靠死背得来的 |
[48:12] | Okay. But when I’m at the bee, | 好吧,但是当我在考场时 |
[48:16] | and they tell me to spell some little fish from Australia | 他们叫我拼某种澳洲小鱼… |
[48:19] | or some weird bacteria on the moon, | 或是月球上的某种怪细菌 |
[48:22] | we’re gonna wish we’d done a little bit more rote memorizing | 我们会希望多死背一点字 |
[48:25] | and not so much essay reading… | 而非念这么多的论文 |
[48:28] | if you don’t mind me saying. | 若你不介意我这么说的话 |
[48:33] | Bacteria don’t exist on the moon. | 月球上不存在细菌 |
[48:36] | Let me ask you something. | 让我问你一件事 |
[48:38] | Where do you think big words come from? | 你认为重大的字是从哪来的? |
[48:41] | People with big brains. | 有大脑的人 |
[48:46] | All right, what do you see? | 好,你看见什么? |
[48:49] | A bunch of big words I don’t know. | 一堆我不懂的重大的字 |
[48:51] | Ah, look again. | 再看一次 |
[48:55] | What kind of power do we get from the sun? | 我们从太阳得到哪种力量? |
[48:57] | – Solar. – So what does “sol” mean? | -太阳能 -那”sol”是何意思? |
[49:01] | – Sun. – What does “terraneous” sound like? | -太阳 -“terraneous”听起来像什么? |
[49:04] | – Terrain. – Meaning the earth. | -地形 -代表着地球 |
[49:06] | “Soliterraneous” means the sun and the earth | 表示太阳和地球共同运作 那么重大的字从哪来的? |
[49:10] | working together. So where do big words come from? | |
[49:13] | – Little words. – And how many little words do you know? | -小字 -你懂得多少小字? |
[49:16] | – Tons. – Yes! | -数不清 -没错! |
[49:18] | And there are tons more for you to learn. | 你还有数不清的字要学 |
[49:21] | There are Greek ones. | 有希腊文 |
[49:23] | There are Latin ones. | 拉丁文 |
[49:25] | French ones. And if you learn them all, | 法文 如果你全学会了 |
[49:30] | you can spell any word, no matter how big. | 就能拼任何字,不管有多大 |
[49:36] | Maybe we should get back to the essay reading. | 也许我们应该继续念论文 |
[49:39] | What’s the matter? I thought you wanted to… | 怎么了? 我以为你想要… |
[49:42] | win the national spelling bee. | 赢得全国拼字比赛呢 |
[49:44] | Maybe just getting there this time is good enough. | 也许这次能进到那儿就够好了 |
[49:48] | Don’t give me that. | 少跟我说那种话 |
[49:50] | You want to win it so badly | 你非常地渴望获胜 |
[49:53] | it keeps you up at night. | 教你熬夜苦读 |
[49:55] | Ever since you found out there was such a thing as the national spelling bee | 自从你发现 有全国拼字比赛这样的事 |
[49:59] | you’ve seen yourself holding up that trophy, | 你就已见到了自己握着那座奖杯 |
[50:01] | but if you can’t say it, you can’t win it. So say it. | 但若你不敢说出来就赢不了 所以说出来吧 |
[50:04] | – I want to win. – Say it louder please. | -我想要赢 -请说大声点 |
[50:07] | – I want to win. – You want to win what? | -我想要赢 -你想要赢什么? |
[50:09] | I want to win the national spelling bee! | 我想要赢得全国拼字比赛! |
[50:11] | Good. Good. | 很好,很好 |
[50:15] | You’ll win using my methods. | 你会用我的教法赢的 |
[50:18] | By first understanding the power of language, | 先了解语言的力量 |
[50:20] | then by deconstructing it, | 然后重新组合 |
[50:23] | breaking it down to its origins, to its roots, | 分析它的起源和字根 |
[50:26] | you’ll consume it. You will own it. | 消化它,变为己有 |
[50:28] | And then you know what you’ll be? | 然后你知道你会怎样吗? |
[50:31] | Mm-hmm. Tired. | 累死了 |
[50:33] | You’ll be a champion. | 你会成为冠军 |
[50:37] | – Are you ready? – I’m ready. | -你准备好了吗? -准备好了 |
[50:39] | All right, let’s go. | 好,那开始吧 |
[50:41] | * Hand me down my walking cane * | |
[50:44] | * Hand me down my hat * | |
[50:46] | * Hurry now and don’t be late * | |
[50:49] | * ‘Cause we ain’t got time to chat * | |
[50:51] | * You and me, we’re going out * | |
[50:53] | * To catch the latest sounds * | |
[50:56] | * Guaranteed to blow your mind * | |
[50:58] | * So high you won’t come down * | |
[51:01] | * Hey, y’all prepare yourself * | |
[51:03] | * For the rubberband man * | |
[51:06] | * You never heard a sound * | |
[51:08] | * Like the rubberband man * | |
[51:11] | * You’re bound to lose control * | |
[51:13] | * When the rubberband starts to jam * | |
[51:18] | * Oh Lord, this dude is out of sight * | |
[51:21] | * Everything he does * | |
[51:23] | * Seems to come out right * | |
[51:26] | * Once I went to hear them play * | |
[51:28] | * At a club outside of town * | |
[51:30] | * I was so surprised, I was hypnotized… * | |
[51:33] | (speaking Latin) | (拉丁语) |
[51:42] | Um, why are you home so early? | 你怎这么早回家? |
[51:44] | Just wasn’t feeling well. | 身体不太舒服 |
[51:48] | What you got there? | 你手上拿了什么? |
[51:51] | Homework. | 家庭作业 |
[51:56] | You know, the regional bee is coming up soon | 州赛日子就快到了 |
[51:58] | and I was wondering if you might want– | 不知道你想不想… |
[52:00] | Is that gonna happen in Beverly Hills too? | 也是在比佛利山举办吗? |
[52:02] | – I don’t know. – I told you, | -我不知道 -我跟你说过了 |
[52:05] | you pass summer school then you can start worrying about the spelling bee. | 你先通过暑修 才能开始操心拼字比赛的事 |
[52:08] | – But if you would– – Akeelah. | -但只要你肯… -阿琪拉 |
[52:11] | Baby, I’m just not in the mood, all right? | 宝贝,我现在没心情,好吗? |
[52:26] | So how come you don’t teach anymore? | 你为什么不再教书了? |
[52:29] | I told you I do teach. I– | 我说过我有教书,我… |
[52:32] | I administer classes online. | 我管理线上班级 |
[52:34] | Let’s keep going. | 我们继续吧 |
[52:37] | – “Effervescent.” – E-F-F– | -“沸腾” |
[52:41] | E-R-V-E– | |
[52:47] | S-E-N-T, | |
[52:48] | – effervescent. – Come on, you know this word. | -沸腾 -拜托,你懂这个字的 |
[52:50] | That dog’s distracting me. | 那只狗令我分心 |
[52:52] | You’re gonna have much bigger distractions | 等你参加华府的全国比赛时 |
[52:54] | when you get to the national bee in DC. | 你会有更庞大令你分心的事 |
[52:57] | Now what is that you’re doing with your hand, hmm? | 你的手是在干嘛? |
[52:59] | What? | 什么? |
[53:01] | With your hand, your hand? | 你的手,你的手 |
[53:03] | You– you– you– | 你你你… |
[53:04] | – you tap, like that. What is that? – I don’t know. | -你像那样子敲打,是怎么回事? -我不知道 |
[53:18] | So why do you got all these toys for? | 你留着这堆玩具干什么? |
[53:21] | They belonged to my niece. | 是我侄女的 |
[53:23] | Oh. So you got any kids of your own? | 你自己有小孩吗? |
[53:26] | You ask a lot of questions, don’t you? | 你问题真多啊,是不是? |
[53:28] | I’m naturally inquisitive. | 我天生好奇 |
[53:30] | Which is also sometimes confused | 也就是偶尔会跟… |
[53:33] | with being naturally obnoxious. Here. | 天生惹人嫌搞混 拿着 |
[53:36] | Let me see you jump rope. | 让我看看你跳绳 |
[53:38] | – Just jump? – Yes, just jump. | -就是跳? -对,就是跳 |
[53:49] | Is there a point to this? | 这么做有意义吗? |
[53:56] | Yes, there is. Keep going. | 有的,继续跳 |
[54:03] | I said keep going. | 我说继续跳 |
[54:06] | Concentrate. Stay focused. | 专心,集中精神 |
[54:08] | Spell effervescent. Don’t think about anything else. Come on. | 拼一下”沸腾” 别想其它事,快点 |
[54:11] | Go. | 开始 |
[54:12] | E-F-F-E– | |
[54:15] | – R-V-E-S– – Good! | -很好! |
[54:18] | C-E-N-T, | |
[54:21] | – effervescent. – You see that? That’s your trick. | -沸腾 -看见没? 那就是你的秘诀 |
[54:24] | – That’s your mnemonic device. – Jumping rope? | -那就是你的记忆装置 -跳绳子? |
[54:27] | Keeping time, keeping time. | 算时间,算时间 |
[54:30] | You see kids at the bee– they do all kinds of things. | 比赛场中的孩子 他们会做千奇百怪的事 |
[54:32] | They– they sway back and forth. They… | 他们会来回摇摆… |
[54:35] | turn around, turn around in circles. | 转圈圈 |
[54:37] | Anything they have to do to stay focused. | 任何帮助他们保持专注的事情 |
[54:39] | You keep time. And I bet you | 你算时间,我敢打包票 |
[54:42] | if you learned the words while you kept time | 如果你在算时间时学会单字 |
[54:45] | you would remember them even better. | 你会记得更牢 |
[54:50] | …L-U-N-I-Z-E. | |
[54:53] | “Quamdiu.” | “迟至” |
[54:55] | – Q-U-A-M-D-I-U. – Good. | -很好 |
[55:00] | Cognizant. | “已知” |
[55:02] | C-O-G- | |
[55:04] | N-I-Z-A-N-T. | |
[55:07] | Correct. “Tzigane.” | 正确,”吉普赛人” |
[55:09] | T-Z-I-G-A-N-E. | |
[55:13] | Correct. | 正确 |
[55:24] | It’s too bad your mother had to work today, Akeelah. | 今天你母亲要工作太可惜了,阿琪拉 |
[55:26] | Did she get to see the new dress? | 她有看到这套新衣服吗? |
[55:28] | Uh, yeah. She thought it was cool. Oh, there goes Javier. | 有的,她觉得很不错 哦,贾维尔在那边 |
[55:32] | Woman: This is a very exciting day for us here | 这是我们非常振奋的日子 |
[55:34] | because our top three spellers will be representing Southern California | 因为前三名拼字者将代表南加州 |
[55:38] | at the national spelling bee in Washington DC. | 华盛顿特区的全国拼字比赛 |
[55:42] | Yes! | 是的! |
[55:46] | So what do you say? Let’s spell! | 你们怎么说呢? 开始拼字吧! |
[55:48] | Well, Josh, you think she’s got a shot at it? | 约书亚,你认为她有机会吗? |
[55:51] | We’ll see. | 等着瞧吧 |
[55:54] | – “Alfresco.” – A-L-F-R-E-S-C-O, | -“户外的” |
[55:58] | – alfresco. – That’s correct. | -户外的 -正确 |
[56:03] | Loquacious. | 多嘴的 |
[56:06] | Espadrille. | 帆布便鞋 |
[56:07] | Jambalaya. | 什锦饭 |
[56:11] | Could you repeat the word, please? | 可否请重复一遍这个字? |
[56:13] | Malloseismic. | 多震的 |
[56:16] | M… | |
[56:18] | A-L… | |
[56:20] | O… | |
[56:23] | S-E… | |
[56:25] | I-S-M-I-C. | |
[56:29] | Malloseismic is… | 多震的拼法是… |
[56:31] | M-A-L-L– | |
[56:33] | O-S-E-I-S-M-I-C. | |
[56:38] | It’s all right. | It’s all right. 不要紧,不要紧的 |
[56:43] | Boy: D-O-U-B-L-U-R-E. | |
[56:47] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[56:55] | “Psalmody.” | “圣歌吟唱” |
[56:57] | Akeelah: Definition please. | 请解释一下定义 |
[56:59] | – Psalmody means the practice… – Mrs. Anderson. | -圣歌吟唱表示采用圣歌… -安德森太太 |
[57:03] | …or art of of singing in psalms. | 练习或歌唱的艺术 |
[57:05] | I want my daughter off that stage right now. | 我要我女儿立刻下台 |
[57:08] | P-S-A– | |
[57:10] | I don’t care what she said. I want her off that stage. | 我不管她说什么,我要她下台 |
[57:13] | I didn’t know she was here and I didn’t give her permission– | 我不知道她来这里,也没同意她… |
[57:16] | – L-M-O– – I’m sorry, Mrs. Anderson. | -对不起,安德森太太 |
[57:19] | No, I told her she was expressly not to be here. | 不,我特别交待过她不准来 |
[57:22] | And you don’t take my child anywhere without my permission. | 你们不准再未经我允许 带我的孩子到任何地方 |
[57:25] | –D-Y, psalmody. | …D-Y,圣歌吟唱 |
[57:29] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[57:32] | All right, next please. | 好了,下一位请 |
[57:35] | Excuse me. I’m sorry. | 抱歉,对不起 |
[57:37] | The mother of one of the spellers needs to speak with her. | 拼字者之一的母亲需要找她讲话 |
[57:40] | – It’s rather urgent. – Um… | 相当紧急 |
[57:42] | Okay, but she must be back on the stage | 好的,但她必须在下次轮到她之前… |
[57:45] | before her next turn or she’ll be disqualified. | 回到台上,否则便丧失资格 |
[57:47] | She’ll be back. | 她会回来的 |
[58:05] | I swear we thought you were on board with this, Mrs. Anderson. | 我发誓我们以为 你同意此事,安德森太太 |
[58:08] | You want to tell me what the heck is going on here? | 你要告诉我这到底是怎么回事吗? |
[58:10] | Because I never signed a consent form. | 因为我没签过同意书 |
[58:14] | – I signed Daddy’s name. – You did what?! | -我签爸爸的姓名 -你什么?! |
[58:20] | How do you think I felt | 当贾维尔的母亲打电话给我 |
[58:22] | when Javier’s mother calls me to see if I need a ride to USC? | 问我需不需要搭便车到南加大时 你想我作何感受? |
[58:25] | I don’t know who she is or what she’s talking about. | 我不知道她是谁 也不知道她在说什么 |
[58:28] | I’m sorry, Mama. I just wanted to do the bee. | 对不起,妈妈 我只是很想参加比赛 |
[58:31] | By lying? By going behind my back for the last six months? | 利用撒谎? 前六个月在我背后偷偷摸摸做? |
[58:35] | You might as well say goodbye to your little friends, Akeelah, | 你最好跟你的小朋友们道别,阿琪拉 |
[58:38] | because this is your last spelling bee. | 因为这是你的最后一次拼字比赛 |
[58:40] | I beg you, Mrs. Anderson, to reconsider this. | 安德森太太,求求你重新考虑一下 |
[58:42] | – She deserves this opport– – Bob. | -她理应有机会… -鲍勃 |
[58:44] | Mrs. Anderson’s right. | 安德森太太说的对 |
[58:47] | Akeelah does not deserve to go to the bee this year. | 阿琪拉不该参加今年的比赛 |
[58:50] | What? | 什么? |
[58:52] | Next speller please. | 下一位拼字者请 |
[58:56] | Come on up to the mike please. | 请站到麦克风前 |
[59:03] | A little faster. Come on. | 再快一点,快点 |
[59:10] | I apologize, Mrs. Anderson, | 我在此道歉,安德森太太 |
[59:12] | if we’ve contributed to any anguish you may be feeling. | 如果我们造成你感到任何痛苦的话 |
[59:15] | And who are you exactly? | 你到底又是谁? |
[59:17] | My name is Joshua Larabee, ma’am. | 我叫约书亚拉勒比,夫人 |
[59:19] | And I’ve been– well, I’ve been helping Akeelah | 我一直在协助阿琪拉 |
[59:22] | prepare herself for the spelling bee. | 准备这次的拼字比赛 |
[59:24] | Akeelah’s been getting extra school credit for working with Dr. Larabee. | 阿琪拉和拉勒比博士学习 一直有在取得额外学分 |
[59:29] | We designed an entire program specifically for her. | 我们特别为她设计了完善的课程 |
[59:32] | Why didn’t you tell me about this? | 你为何不告诉我这件事? |
[59:34] | Mama, I hated going behind your back, | 妈妈,我讨厌瞒着你进行 |
[59:37] | but every time I brought up the bee, you didn’t want to hear it. | 但每次我提到比赛,你都不想听 |
[59:42] | I didn’t know what to do. | 我不知道该怎么办 |
[59:46] | Can I get the pronunciation again? | 可以再念一遍吗? |
[59:48] | He’s given it to you five times. You need to spell the word. | 他已经给你念了五次 你需要拼出这个字 |
[59:52] | Could you use it in a sentence? | 可以造个句子吗? |
[59:55] | He’s already used it in a sentence. | 他已经造过句子了 |
[59:58] | I mean a different sentence than you used before. | 我是指跟之前不同的句子 |
[1:00:00] | – You only get one sentence. – What’s up with this kid? | -你只能有一个句子 -这孩子是怎么搞的? |
[1:00:08] | You must want this thing pretty bad because you ain’t | 你一定非常想参加 因为你这辈子… |
[1:00:11] | never lied to me before in your life. | 之前从没对我撒过谎 |
[1:00:13] | So maybe you can tell me what you think | 所以也许你能告诉我 对于你所做的事 |
[1:00:15] | a good punishment would be for what you did. | 你认为怎样的惩罚会比较好 |
[1:00:22] | – I guess I gotta miss the bee. – But that don’t just punish you. | -我猜我得放弃这比赛 -但那样并非单独惩罚你 |
[1:00:26] | Mr. Welch and Dr. Larabee done put a lot of time into this too. | 威奇先生和拉勒比博士 也付出了许多时间在此事上 |
[1:00:29] | So you think of something else. | 所以你想点别的 |
[1:00:36] | Maybe double chores for the month. | 也许这个月家事加倍 |
[1:00:38] | For the next three months. | 往后三个月都要 |
[1:00:42] | She still got time to get back up on that stage? | 她还有时间回台上吗? |
[1:00:47] | If we move very quickly, yes. | 我们动作快点就可以 |
[1:00:49] | Well, I guess you’d better get a move on. | 我猜你最好赶快去了 |
[1:00:56] | We haven’t much time. | 时间不多了 |
[1:00:58] | Come on, come on. | 快点,快点 |
[1:01:03] | Thank you, Mama. | 谢谢你,妈妈 |
[1:01:06] | All right. | 行了 |
[1:01:11] | – Dr. Larabee, is it? – Yes. | -拉勒比博士,对吧? -对 |
[1:01:14] | So you actually think Akeelah has a chance | 你真认为阿琪拉有机会… |
[1:01:17] | to win the national spelling bee? | 赢得全国拼字比赛吗? |
[1:01:20] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:01:22] | Yes, I think she does. | 是的,我认为她有 |
[1:01:26] | Well… | |
[1:01:28] | – could you use it in a song? – What? | -可以用唱的吗? -什么? |
[1:01:34] | Never mind. Ratatouille: R-A-T-A-T-O-U-I-L-L-E, ratatouille. | 算了,蔬菜杂烩: R-A-T-A-T-O-U-I-L-L-E,蔬菜杂烩 |
[1:01:39] | Uh… that’s correct. | 正确 |
[1:01:41] | – Where’s number 73, please? – She’s here, she’s here. | -73号在哪里? -她在这里,她在这里 |
[1:01:44] | Number 73. | 73号 |
[1:01:50] | – Thank you. – I was about to start tap dancing. | -谢谢 -我刚准备要跳踢踏舞了呢 |
[1:01:54] | Man: Okay, “pluviosity.” | 好的,”多雨量” |
[1:01:58] | Can I get a definition please? | 可否请说明一下定义呢? |
[1:02:00] | Pluviosity means a state characterized by much rain. | 多雨量表示描写过多雨水的状态 |
[1:02:12] | Pluviosity: | 多雨量: |
[1:02:14] | P-L-U-V-I-O-S-I-T-Y, | |
[1:02:20] | – pluviosity. – That’s correct. | -多雨量 -正确 |
[1:02:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:02:31] | * R-E-S-P-E-C-T * | |
[1:02:33] | * Find out what it means to me * | |
[1:02:35] | * R-E-S-P-E-C-T * | |
[1:02:37] | * Take care, TCB * | |
[1:02:39] | * Oh, a little respect… * | |
[1:02:41] | I’d like to thank you all for coming out today | 我想感谢各位今天出席 |
[1:02:45] | to honor our own Akeelah Anderson! | 表扬本校的阿琪拉安德森! |
[1:02:55] | Um… | |
[1:02:57] | thanks… | 非常… |
[1:03:01] | a lot. | 感谢 |
[1:03:07] | Oh girl, you like a movie star now. | 女孩,你现在像电影明星了 |
[1:03:10] | I know. It’s pretty crazy. | 我知道,相当疯狂 |
[1:03:12] | Hey, my mama said she want to take us out to celebrate tonight. | 我妈说她今晚想带我们出去庆祝 |
[1:03:16] | Javier’s parents are taking me out. | 贾维尔的父母要带我出去 |
[1:03:19] | – But maybe we can– – Akeelah, excuse me. I’m sorry. | -但也许我们能够… -阿琪拉,抱歉,对不起 |
[1:03:21] | There’s a reporter here and she wants to talk to you. | 有个记者想采访你 |
[1:03:23] | – I don’t want to talk to no reporter. – Are you kidding? | -我不想跟记者谈 -你在说笑吗? |
[1:03:26] | This is exactly the kind of good publicity Crenshaw needs. | 这绝对是克兰萧需要的最好宣传 |
[1:03:29] | Excuse us! Sorry. | 恕我们失陪了! 抱歉 |
[1:03:33] | Hi, this is Lauren Sanchez reporting from South Los Angeles. | 嗨,这是萝伦桑却斯 从南洛杉矶报导 |
[1:03:36] | I’m here with 11-year-old Akeelah Anderson. | 现在在我旁边的是 年仅11岁的阿琪拉安德森 |
[1:03:39] | She’s a seventh grader from Crenshaw Middle School | 她是克兰萧中学七年级生 |
[1:03:41] | who’s heading to the national spelling bee. How does it feel | 即将参加全国拼字比赛 现在要去华盛顿特区心情如何? |
[1:03:44] | now that you’re going to be going to Washington DC? | |
[1:03:46] | – It’s pretty cool. – Are you excited? | -相当酷 -兴奋吗? |
[1:03:48] | All right, let’s check out the word that Akeelah spelled | 好了,让我们听一下阿琪拉 在南加州决赛时… |
[1:03:50] | here at the Southern California finals that got her to the national bee. | 令她能够进入国全比赛的这个字 |
[1:03:54] | Erythrocyte: E-R-Y– | 红血球: E-R-Y… |
[1:04:08] | – Joshua: Spell, “affenpinscher.” – Affen-what? | -拼一下”宠物狗” -宠什么? |
[1:04:11] | “Grallatorial.” | “涉水禽类的” |
[1:04:12] | – G-R-A-L-A-T– – Wrong. | -错 |
[1:04:16] | – “Jacquard.” – Dr. Larabee. | -“织花布” -拉勒比博士 |
[1:04:19] | Spell the word jacquard. | 拼”织花布”这个字 |
[1:04:22] | – J-A-Q-U– – What about the C? | -C怎么不见了? |
[1:04:26] | These are all words that were missed in last year’s national spelling bee. | 这些都是去年全国拼字比赛中 被拼错的字 |
[1:04:30] | – And you can’t spell one of them. – Maybe because we haven’t | -你一个也拼不出来 -也许是因为我们还没学到 你昨天为何取消? |
[1:04:33] | – studied them yet. – Why did you cancel yesterday? | |
[1:04:35] | Hmm? Were you doing another interview, | 是要再接受一次采访 |
[1:04:37] | flaunting yourself in front of the television cameras? | 在电视台摄影机面前招摇吗? |
[1:04:39] | No, I was at the mall. | 不,我在购物中心 |
[1:04:42] | Look, I wasn’t dissing you. I was Christmas shopping. | 听着,我并没反你 我去做圣诞节购物 |
[1:04:45] | “Dissing”? I thought we didn’t use words like that. | “反”? 我以为我们不用那种字 |
[1:04:48] | I thought we only used words from the dictionary in here. | 我以为我们只用字典里有的字 |
[1:05:00] | “Dis, dissed, dissing: to treat with disrespect | “反: 无礼对待… |
[1:05:03] | or contempt; to find fault with.” | 或轻蔑、挑毛病” |
[1:05:05] | New words get added to the dictionary every year. | 每年字典里都会增加新字 |
[1:05:15] | Look, I didn’t get to the national bee | 听着,我直到14岁… |
[1:05:18] | until I was 14 years old. | 才参加全国比赛 |
[1:05:21] | I had no help. I had no training. | 我没有帮助,没有训练 |
[1:05:23] | I had nothing. | 一无所有 |
[1:05:25] | By the time I got to the third round, I was out. | 我在第三回合之前就被淘汰了 |
[1:05:27] | You have an opportunity | 你有机会… |
[1:05:31] | to win this thing. | 赢得这项比赛 |
[1:05:35] | But all we’ve done for eight months | 但我们八个月来所做的… |
[1:05:38] | is study words. Why can’t we take a break, | 只是学习字 为什么不能休息一下… |
[1:05:42] | go to a movie, to a basketball game? Why can’t we have fun? | 看看电影、棒球赛呢? 为什么不能玩乐一下? |
[1:05:46] | I told you, Denise, you can have fun after the bee. | 我说过,丹妮丝 比赛完后就可以玩乐了 |
[1:05:51] | Who’s Denise? | 丹妮丝是谁? |
[1:05:53] | What? | 什么? |
[1:05:56] | Denise, you called me Denise. Who’s that? | 丹妮丝,你叫我丹妮丝 那是谁? |
[1:06:02] | Dr. Larabee, are you okay? | 拉勒比博士,你还好吗? |
[1:06:06] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:06:09] | Yes, I’m fine. | 是的,我很好 |
[1:06:14] | Listen, I spent all last week | 听着,我上周花了一整个礼拜时间 |
[1:06:18] | making these for you. | 替你制作了这些 |
[1:06:20] | – What are they? – They’re flash cards. | -什么东西? -记忆卡 |
[1:06:22] | 5,000 new words, the types that you will run into at the finals. | 五千个新字 你决赛会碰到的那种 |
[1:06:26] | 5,000? But we’ve only got a few months left. | 五千字? 但我们只剩几个月了 |
[1:06:29] | – What, you going to coach me 24-7? – Uh, no… | -怎么,你要一天24小时训练我吗? -不是… |
[1:06:32] | you’re going to, um, learn these on your own. | 这些你要自己学 |
[1:06:36] | There’s nothing left for me to teach you. | 我没什么可以教你的了 |
[1:06:41] | What? | 什么? |
[1:06:44] | You– you’ve got it all, Akeelah. You’ve got word construction down | 你全都懂了,阿琪拉 你懂得文字构造… |
[1:06:48] | etymology, memorization techniques. | 语源学、记忆技巧 |
[1:06:50] | What you need to do now is just | 你现在只需要… |
[1:06:53] | focus on the words. | 专心背住这些字 |
[1:06:56] | I can’t learn 5,000 new words all by myself. | 我无法独自学会五千个新字 |
[1:07:01] | Oh, yes, you can. You’ve got a brain like a sponge. | 你当然能 你有海绵一样的头脑 |
[1:07:03] | – You just sit down and you study them. – Dr. Larabee, I swear, I promise– | -你只要坐下来学习就行了 -拉勒比博士,我发誓,我保证… |
[1:07:07] | I won’t miss any more sessions and I’ll do whatever you say. | 我不会再错过任何课程 你说什么我都会照做 |
[1:07:11] | You can’t stop coaching me now. | 你不能现在停止训练我 |
[1:07:13] | I told Mr. Welch I’d get you through the regionals and I’ve done that. | 我告诉威奇先生我会使你 通过州赛,我已做到了 |
[1:07:17] | Now, I don’t have anything else I can teach you. | 现在我没别的可教你了 |
[1:07:19] | You need to just take those words | 你只需带着那些字 |
[1:07:22] | and study them and you’ll be all right. | 并学习它们,你会没事的 |
[1:07:35] | This is why I was at the mall. | 这是我为什么去购物中心的原因 |
[1:07:41] | Merry Christmas. | 圣诞快乐 |
[1:08:02] | – Georgia: Hello? – Akeelah: Hey, girl. | -喂? -嘿,女孩 |
[1:08:04] | – What you doin’? – Watching TV. | -你在干嘛? -看电视 |
[1:08:08] | You want to go skating this weekend? | 周末想去溜冰吗? |
[1:08:12] | Why don’t you go with your friends from Woodland Hills? | 你干嘛不跟你伍兰岗的朋友一块去? |
[1:08:15] | What? Girl, what’s wrong with you? | 什么? 你是怎么了? |
[1:08:19] | Nothing. | 没事 |
[1:08:21] | I got homework to do. I’ll see you later. | 我有作业要做,再见了 |
[1:08:29] | Kiana: Hey, Keelie! | 嘿,小琪! |
[1:08:31] | Keelie, come on out here! | 小琪,快出来! |
[1:08:34] | Girl, you on TV. | 你上电视了 |
[1:08:36] | – Hurry. Come on, look! – Akeelah Anderson’s rise | -快点,快来看! -阿琪拉安德森的崛起 |
[1:08:38] | has captivated her community. All of Los Angeles is talking about her. | 已经掳获了她的社区的心 整个洛杉矶民众都在谈论她 |
[1:08:42] | If she wins this spelling bee it’s going to be like | 如果她拼字比赛获胜 就好比是… |
[1:08:45] | – everybody in the neighborhood wins. – I think it’ll be real positive. | -邻近的每个人都获胜 -我觉得真的有正面效果 |
[1:08:48] | You know– good for the community. | 你们知道,对社区有益 |
[1:08:51] | I’m already studying for next year’s bee. | 我已经在准备明年的比赛了 |
[1:08:58] | What is wrong with– | 她是怎么了? |
[1:08:59] | Akeelah, what’s wrong? | 阿琪拉,怎么了? |
[1:09:02] | – I don’t want to do the bee no more. – You don’t want to do the bee? | -我不想再参加比赛了 -你不想参加比赛? |
[1:09:05] | – Why not? – Dr. Larabee don’t want | -为什么? -拉勒比博士不想再训练我了 乔琪亚不想跟我出去 |
[1:09:08] | to coach me no more, Georgia don’t want to hang out with me | |
[1:09:12] | and all these people are expecting me to win. | 所有的人都指望我赢 |
[1:09:15] | And it’s just too hard, Mama. I want it all to stop. | 太难了,妈妈 我要一切通通停止 |
[1:09:20] | – Baby, you worked so– – Please. | -宝贝,你这么努力… -求求你 |
[1:09:22] | – Please. – All right, all right. | -求求你 -好吧,好吧 |
[1:09:34] | I certainly didn’t mean to upset her. I– | 我当然无意令她心烦意乱,我… |
[1:09:39] | well, I honestly thought I was | 我真的认为我是… |
[1:09:42] | doing the best thing for her. | 在做对她最好的事 |
[1:09:54] | You know, Dr. Larabee, | 你知道,拉勒比博士 |
[1:09:57] | my child is only 11 years old | 我的孩子才11岁 |
[1:10:00] | and she has been through so much already. | 她已经历了许多风风雨雨 |
[1:10:04] | Her father was killed when she was six. | 她父亲在她六岁时遇害 |
[1:10:06] | Somebody shot him on his way home from work. | 有人在他下班回家途中枪杀了他 |
[1:10:09] | Do you have any idea what it’s like for a girl to lose her father that way? | 你知不知道那样子失去父亲 对一个女孩子来说是何等滋味? |
[1:10:17] | I can imagine. | 难以想像 |
[1:10:20] | Then why do you want to cause this child any more grief? | 那你为何想造成这孩子更多的悲伤? |
[1:10:23] | That’s an unfair accusation, Mrs. Anderson. | 那是不公平的指控,安德森太太 |
[1:10:26] | As I’ve told you, I’m– | 如同我告诉过你,我… |
[1:10:29] | I’m just not in a place where I can | 我目前已经无法再 给予阿琪拉任何帮助了 |
[1:10:31] | be of any more help to Akeelah right now. | |
[1:10:34] | But she needs you. She does. | 但她需要你,真的 |
[1:10:37] | I beg to differ, Mrs. Anderson. It’s not me that Akeelah needs. | 我的看法不同,安德森太太 阿琪拉需要的不是我 |
[1:10:44] | Girl on TV: I remember when he used to take us out to the ballgames, | 我记得他以前常常 带我们出去看球赛 |
[1:10:47] | and take us to the movies and we’d have popcorn fights. | 带我们去看电影、玩爆米花大战 |
[1:10:51] | Woman on TV: We’ll do that again. | 我们再来一遍 |
[1:10:54] | Sure. | 没问题 |
[1:10:56] | I want to tell you something. | 我想告诉你一件事 |
[1:11:02] | You know why I didn’t want you to do the bee at first? | 你知道当初我为何 不要你参加比赛吗? |
[1:11:07] | ‘Cause I saw that video of yours | 因为我看到你那卷录影带 |
[1:11:09] | and I saw one winner and 200 losers. | 我看到了一个赢家和两百个输家 |
[1:11:12] | And I didn’t want you to be one of those losers. | 我不希望你成为那些输家之一 |
[1:11:17] | Did you know your mama | 你知不知道你的妈妈… |
[1:11:19] | went to college right after high school? | 高中毕业后去念了大学? |
[1:11:22] | No. | 不知道 |
[1:11:24] | I had a scholarship. | 我得到了奖学金 |
[1:11:26] | I was gonna be a doctor. | 我本来要当医生的 |
[1:11:30] | What happened? | 发生了什么事? |
[1:11:35] | I just felt so out of place at that school. | 我只是觉得待在那所学校好茫然 |
[1:11:40] | I convinced myself | 我自己深信… |
[1:11:42] | that I was gonna fail. | 我会失败的 |
[1:11:45] | So before that could happen, I dropped out. | 所以趁那种事发生之前,我退学了 |
[1:11:50] | I don’t want you to do the same thing with this bee. | 我不希望你这比赛也重蹈覆辙 |
[1:12:06] | “Gabbro,” | “辉长岩” |
[1:12:08] | a group of dark heavy rocks. | 一大片又黑又重的岩石 |
[1:12:14] | Can you spell it for me? | 能为我拼出来吗? |
[1:12:18] | G-A-B-R-O, | |
[1:12:22] | gabbro? | 辉长岩? |
[1:12:24] | Actually it’s got two Bs. | 实际上有两个B |
[1:12:30] | You know, Akeelah, you ain’t short on people who want to help you. | 阿琪拉,你不乏有人想帮助你 |
[1:12:34] | I bet if you just look around, you got 50,000 coaches. | 我打赌只要你看看四周 你会有五千个教练 |
[1:12:40] | Starting with me. | 就从我开始 |
[1:12:45] | – Mama? – Hmm? | 妈妈? |
[1:12:47] | You think that maybe | 你认为你也许… |
[1:12:49] | you might go back to college? | 可能回去念大学吗? |
[1:12:55] | I just might. | 可能吧 |
[1:13:00] | – I love you. – I love you too. | -我爱你 -我也爱你 |
[1:13:02] | I love you too. | 我也爱你 |
[1:13:04] | “Craquelure,” C-R-A-Q-U-E-L-U– | “龟裂缝”,C-R-A-Q-U-E-L-U… |
[1:13:08] | Hey, yo, so why y’all punking out on the spelling bee, huh? | 喂,你们大家怎么 都在热衷拼字比赛? |
[1:13:11] | What, you afraid of all the suburbia kids now? | 怎么,你现在害怕 所有的郊区孩子吗? |
[1:13:14] | No. | 不是 |
[1:13:17] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[1:13:18] | So how you spell all these words anyway? | 你究竟怎样拼会这些字的? |
[1:13:20] | – I study them. – Whatever. | -用念的 -随便啦 |
[1:13:23] | There go my ride. | 我的车来了 |
[1:13:26] | – Hey, what up, Derrick-T? – What up, Terrence? | -嘿,你好吗,德瑞克? -你好吗,泰伦斯? |
[1:13:29] | Who dat? | 那是谁? |
[1:13:30] | That ain’t nobody, just my little sister. | 没什么,只是我的小妹 |
[1:13:33] | What up, little thing? | 你好吗,小东西? |
[1:13:35] | I been seeing you on TV. Trying to win some big contest, huh? | 我常在电视上看到你 想赢大赛啊? |
[1:13:40] | Answer the man. | 回答他 |
[1:13:42] | You know, I won something once… | 我曾经赢过一样… |
[1:13:44] | fifth grade. I wrote a poem. | 五年级的时候,我写了一首诗 |
[1:13:47] | Even got myself a blue ribbon too. | 甚至还得到一条蓝丝带 |
[1:13:51] | – Yeah, good. You wrote yourself a poem. – Shut up, dawg. | -不错嘛,你写给自己一首诗 -闭嘴 |
[1:13:55] | What you think rap is? | 你当说唱是什么? |
[1:13:58] | – What’s that in your hand? – Ain’t nothin’, just some stupid word. | -你手里拿了什么? -没什么,只是些蠢字 |
[1:14:02] | – You helping her? – Naw, man, I’m chilling wit you, right? | -你在帮她? -不,我要跟着你,对吧? |
[1:14:10] | Naw, man. | 不 |
[1:14:15] | – Stay here and help your sis. – Why? | -留下来帮你老妹 -为什么? |
[1:14:17] | ‘Cause I say so. | 因为我说这样 |
[1:14:19] | Let’s break out, man. | 我们走吧 |
[1:14:24] | – Derrick-T! – What’s up? | -德瑞克! -什么事? |
[1:14:28] | I want to read your poem. | 我想读你的诗 |
[1:14:31] | After you win the contest. | 等你赢了比赛再说 |
[1:14:33] | Let’s go, man. | 走吧 |
[1:14:40] | You ain’t gotta help me if you don’t want to. | 你不想帮我的话不必帮 |
[1:14:46] | “En-fran-chis-ment”? | “富于选举权”? |
[1:14:48] | – You mean enfranchisement? – Hey, whatever. | -你是指”赋与选举权”吧? -随便啦 |
[1:14:52] | Can you spell it? | 你会拼吗? |
[1:14:57] | 50,000 coaches. | 五千个教练 |
[1:15:04] | E-N-F-R… | |
[1:15:06] | * Wake up, everybody * | |
[1:15:08] | * No more sleeping in bed * | |
[1:15:11] | * No more backward thinking * | |
[1:15:14] | * Time for thinking ahead * | |
[1:15:16] | * The world has changed so very much * | |
[1:15:19] | * From what it used to be… * | |
[1:15:21] | “Ap-teery-goat-ti.” | “无耻类” |
[1:15:23] | – What? – That right there. | -什么? -就那里 |
[1:15:25] | Apterygote. Maybe you shouldn’t show me the cards. | 无翅类 也许你不该给我看卡片 |
[1:15:28] | Oh yeah. Sorry. | 是的,抱歉 |
[1:15:35] | * Wake up all the teachers * | |
[1:15:37] | * Time to teach a new way * | |
[1:15:39] | * Maybe then they’ll listen * | |
[1:15:42] | * To what you have to say * | |
[1:15:44] | * ‘Cause they’re the ones who’s coming up * | |
[1:15:47] | * And the world is in their hands * | |
[1:15:50] | * When you teach the children * | |
[1:15:52] | * Teach them the very best you can… * | |
[1:15:55] | …R-E-S-A– | |
[1:15:58] | You go, Akeelah, baby! Make us proud! | 加油,阿琪拉,宝贝! 令我们骄傲! |
[1:16:27] | 5,000, I learned them all. | 五千个字我全学会了 |
[1:16:29] | But I had some help. | 但有人帮我的 |
[1:16:33] | You should be very well prepared then. | 那你应该准备得很充份了 |
[1:16:37] | You know, Dr. Larabee, | 拉勒比博士 |
[1:16:40] | when I was a little girl… | 当我小时候… |
[1:16:44] | my daddy died. | 我爸爸死了 |
[1:16:50] | I used to cry all the time. | 我常常哭个不停 |
[1:16:55] | But then… | 但是后来… |
[1:16:58] | I found something that helped. | 我发现了一样有帮助的事 |
[1:17:01] | What was that? | 什么事? |
[1:17:03] | I spelled– over and over again. | 我反反复复地拼字 |
[1:17:06] | And I’d feel better. | 就觉得舒服多了 |
[1:17:12] | Maybe when you’re thinking of her… | 也许当你想到她时… |
[1:17:16] | you can try spelling. | 你也可以试试拼字 |
[1:17:19] | It might help. | 可能会有用 |
[1:17:36] | Akeelah? | 阿琪拉? |
[1:17:41] | – Who told you? – You did. | -谁告诉你的? -是你 |
[1:17:46] | You called me by her name: Denise. | 你喊我她的名字: 丹妮丝 |
[1:17:55] | That’s her jump rope, isn’t it? | 那是她的跳绳,是不是? |
[1:17:57] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:18:02] | Was she your little girl? | 是你女儿吗? |
[1:18:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:18:14] | What happened to her? | 她怎么了? |
[1:18:25] | She got very sick. | 她生了重病 |
[1:18:29] | She was only a couple of years | 当过世的时候… |
[1:18:31] | younger than you when she passed. | 只比你小个一两岁 |
[1:18:39] | Where is her mama? | 她妈妈在哪里? |
[1:18:42] | She moved to another city and– | 她搬到了另一个城市 |
[1:18:46] | after it happened | 那事发生之后 |
[1:18:50] | my wife… | 我的妻子… |
[1:18:53] | Patricia and I | 派翠西亚和我… |
[1:18:56] | found it– | 慢慢地… |
[1:19:00] | slowly | 发觉它… |
[1:19:02] | became very | 变得非常… |
[1:19:05] | difficult to be– | 难以… |
[1:19:16] | Anyway, this is– | 总之,这是… |
[1:19:19] | this is Patricia’s garden. | 这是派翠西亚的花圃 |
[1:19:24] | You see, I need– I need a lot of order in my life. | 你明白,我需要恢复生活秩序 |
[1:19:28] | That’s why I don’t teach in the classrooms anymore. | 所以我才不再在教室教书了 |
[1:19:32] | It’s just too unpredictable. | 太难以预料了 |
[1:19:36] | Like you. | 像你一样 |
[1:19:38] | This whole spelling bee business now has become… | 这整个拼字比赛的事 现在已经同样… |
[1:19:42] | a little too unpredictable as well. | 变得有点太难以预料了 |
[1:19:50] | Dr. Larabee… | 拉勒比博士… |
[1:19:53] | I– I can’t go to DC without you. | 我去DC不能没有你 |
[1:19:57] | Yes, you can, Akeelah. You can do anything you want. | 你可以的,阿琪拉 你能做得到任何你想做的事 |
[1:20:00] | – I can’t beat Dylan. – Don’t say that. | -我无法打败狄伦 -别那么说 |
[1:20:03] | It’s true. It doesn’t matter how many words I learn. | 是真的,不管我学会了多少字 |
[1:20:06] | He’ll always know more. | 他总是比我懂得更多 |
[1:20:08] | Let me tell you about Dylan. | 让我告诉你狄伦的事 |
[1:20:12] | There’s only one person who can push him | 只有一个人能催促他 |
[1:20:15] | to spell as well as he possibly can. | 尽可能地去好好拼字 |
[1:20:19] | It’s not his dad. It’s not the spelling bee people. | 不是他爸爸 不是拼字比赛的选手 |
[1:20:23] | It’s not even himself. | 甚至不是他自己 |
[1:20:25] | That person is you. | 那个人就是你 |
[1:20:29] | So… | 所以… |
[1:20:31] | when you and I | 当你和我… |
[1:20:34] | get to DC, | 到了华府时 |
[1:20:36] | let’s make sure we give him a run for his money. | 让我们确保给他争取奖金的动力 |
[1:20:40] | Okay? | 好吗? |
[1:21:02] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[1:21:05] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[1:21:07] | I’m off to DC tomorrow. | 我明天要去华府了 |
[1:21:09] | – Yeah, well, have fun. – I’m sorry I’ve been so busy. | -祝你开心�� -很抱歉我一直那么忙 |
[1:21:13] | It’s just this whole spelling thing’s been real intense. | 只是这整个拼字比赛的事 一直真正紧张 |
[1:21:17] | But you know what? | 但你知道吗? |
[1:21:21] | I’d give it all up if it meant you and me could hang again. | 如果你我能回归旧好 我愿放弃一切 |
[1:21:24] | – That’s stupid. – Why’s it stupid? | -那太蠢了 -为何蠢呢? |
[1:21:26] | ‘Cause people want to see you do good. | 因为大家想见你表现优异 |
[1:21:31] | I want to see you do good. | 我想见你表现优异 |
[1:21:35] | You know what? Georgia, you’re my best friend. | 你知道吗? 乔琪亚,你是我最要好的朋友 |
[1:21:39] | And you always tell me I can do things even when I think I can’t. | 你总是跟我说我能做到许多事 即使当我认为我不行的时候 |
[1:21:44] | But I gotta tell you something. | 但我得告诉你一件事 |
[1:21:46] | If you want to be a flight attendant, you first gotta ride on a plane. | 如果你想当空姐,首先就得搭飞机 |
[1:21:50] | I will someday. | 总有一天我会的 |
[1:21:53] | How about tomorrow? | 明天如何? |
[1:21:57] | Whoo! | |
[1:22:00] | Girl, I got– I got to talk to the captain. | 我得跟机长讲话 |
[1:22:03] | Oh, forget flight attendant. I’m gonna be a pilot. | 忘了空姐吧,我要当驾驶 |
[1:22:08] | – What’s wrong with him? – He has an aversion to heights. | -他是有何毛病啊? -他有惧高症 |
[1:22:12] | It’s an aversion to plummeting. I may puke. | 是畏惧垂直降落,我可能会吐 |
[1:22:15] | My brother’s in the air force and he says that fear | 我哥在空军部队,他说恐惧… |
[1:22:19] | is all in your head. Here. | 全在于你的脑中,来 |
[1:22:21] | He gave me this for good luck. Don’t worry– I won’t impale you. | 他给了我这个当幸运符 别担心,我不会刺到你的 |
[1:22:26] | You know, I never really thanked you for helping me at the state bee. | 我还没真正感谢你在州赛中的帮忙 |
[1:22:30] | – No biggie. – Actually, | -那不算什么 -事实上… |
[1:22:32] | it was very chivalrous. | 非常具有侠义精神 |
[1:22:38] | Wow. | 哇 |
[1:22:40] | I’m not thinking about the plane at all now. | 我现在完全不会想到飞机的事了 |
[1:22:43] | Well, in that case… | 那样的话… |
[1:22:47] | * Behind all of your tears * | |
[1:22:51] | * There’s a smile * | |
[1:22:54] | * There’s a smile * | |
[1:22:58] | * Behind all of the rain * | |
[1:23:02] | * There’s sunshine * | |
[1:23:04] | * For miles and miles * | |
[1:23:07] | * Oh, everything * | |
[1:23:10] | * Everything * | |
[1:23:12] | * You mean everything * | |
[1:23:15] | * You mean everything * | |
[1:23:17] | * Everything to me * | |
[1:23:20] | * Everything to me * | |
[1:23:23] | * Everything to me. * | |
[1:23:29] | – I told you not to shake it. – I’m sorry. | -我叫你别摇的 -对不起 |
[1:23:31] | Akeelah, I thought you guys were supposed to be studying. | 阿琪拉,我以为你们应该在用功呢 |
[1:23:33] | – We are. – Huh-uh, | 我们是呀 |
[1:23:35] | it sounds like a party in here. Come on, you got a big day tomorrow. | 这里面好像在开派对 快点,明天是大日子 |
[1:23:38] | – Better call it a night. – Half an hour more. | -最好赶紧睡了 -再半小时 |
[1:23:40] | 15 minutes. | 15分钟 |
[1:23:42] | What do you think Dylan’s doing now? | 你想狄伦现在在做什么? |
[1:23:44] | Trying to learn ancient Greek. | 拼命学古希腊文吧 |
[1:23:46] | – Maybe we should invite him over. – That turd-juggler? Forget it. | -也许我们该邀他过来 -那个讨厌鬼? 算了吧 |
[1:23:51] | I’ll be back. | 我马上回来 |
[1:23:54] | – Yeah– – Is Dylan here? | 狄伦在吗? |
[1:24:00] | – He’s busy. – Well, um… | 他在忙 |
[1:24:04] | me and some of the other kids are hanging out in my room, | 我跟其他一些孩子聚在我房间里 |
[1:24:07] | drinking soda pop and watching movies. We thought maybe he’d like to come over. | 喝汽水、看电影 我们想说也许他愿意过来 |
[1:24:11] | I’m sorry, but tomorrow is the spelling bee. | 对不起,但明天要拼字比赛 |
[1:24:14] | Well, you know, sometimes it’s okay to take a little rest | 偶尔在大事件之前 |
[1:24:17] | right before the big event, you know? | 休息一会是无所谓的 |
[1:24:20] | Well, perhaps that is your strategy, but not ours. | 或许那是你的策略,但不是我们的 |
[1:24:24] | Wait wait! | 等等,等等! |
[1:24:26] | This is for Dylan. | 这是给狄伦的 |
[1:24:35] | Okay. | 好的 |
[1:24:39] | Joshua: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. | “最深沉的恐惧不是我们能力不足 |
[1:24:43] | Our deepest fear is that we are powerful | 最深沉的恐惧是我们的力量… |
[1:24:47] | beyond measure. | 深不可测 |
[1:24:49] | We ask ourselves ‘Who am I | 我们扪心自问 “要成为聪明耀眼 才华洋溢的我是谁?” |
[1:24:53] | to be brilliant, gorgeous, | |
[1:24:55] | talented and fabulous?’ | |
[1:24:59] | Actually, who are you not to be?” | 事实上,你不想成为的是谁?” |
[1:25:39] | It’s okay. There. | 没关系,那里 |
[1:25:57] | I’m Ted Saunders, here with Katie Kerwin-McCrimmen, | 我是泰德桑德斯 我身旁的是凯蒂柯温麦克里门 |
[1:26:00] | broadcasting live from the main ballroom of the Grand Hyatt, Washington. | 从华盛顿君悦饭店的大厅现场转播 |
[1:26:04] | Now, Katie, as a former spelling bee champ yourself, who do you think | 凯蒂,你自己身为前拼字比赛冠军 你认为谁… |
[1:26:07] | we should be looking for to do well in this year’s competition? | 在今年的比赛中会大放异彩? |
[1:26:10] | Several of the kids placed very high in last year’s bee, | 有好几位孩子在去年的比赛中 夺得了非常高的名次 |
[1:26:13] | especially Dylan Chiu. | 尤其是邱狄伦 |
[1:26:15] | He’s come in second two years in a row. | 他连续两年得第二名 |
[1:26:18] | Kick his butt, Akeelah! B-U-T-T, butt. | 痛踢他的屁股,阿琪拉! B-U-T-T,屁股 |
[1:26:21] | …but the speller I’ve really got my eye on is little Akeelah Anderson | 但真正吸引我目光的是 来自洛杉矶的… |
[1:26:25] | from Los Angeles. She’s become a bit of a media sensation | 阿琪拉安德森 她似乎成了媒体宠儿 |
[1:26:28] | – because she’s only 11 years old… – That’s my sister! | -因为她年仅11岁… -那是我妹妹! |
[1:26:30] | …and it’s her first try at the spelling bee circuit. | 而且是她首度参加拼字比赛循环 |
[1:27:39] | Could you repeat the word please? | 可否能重念一遍? |
[1:27:42] | “Ratiocinate, ratiocinate.” | “推理,推理” |
[1:27:45] | What in the hell kind of word is that? | 那到底是哪种字啊? |
[1:27:47] | R-A-T– | |
[1:27:50] | I-O-C– | |
[1:27:53] | I-N-A-T-E, | |
[1:27:56] | – ratiocinate. – That’s correct. | -推理 -正确 |
[1:27:59] | Yes. | 好耶 |
[1:28:04] | Ted: For an 11-year-old kid, that is just amazing. | 对年仅11岁的孩子而言 那太令人惊奇了 |
[1:28:07] | Katie: But watch out– one wrong letter and that’s it. | 不过要注意 错一个字母就会被淘汰 |
[1:28:12] | “Oersted.” | “奥斯特” (注: 磁场强度单位) |
[1:28:14] | – What’s the language of origin? – It’s from a Danish name. | -原始语言是什么? -来自一个丹麦的名字 |
[1:28:17] | – I can’t stand this Korean kid. – He’s Chinese. | -我受不了这个韩国小孩 -他是中国人 |
[1:28:20] | – He’s uppity. – O-E-R-S-T-E-D. | -他很高傲 |
[1:28:23] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[1:28:32] | – What’s the definition? – Xylem is a complex tissue | -定义为何呢? -木质部是高等植物… |
[1:28:35] | in the vascular system of higher plants. | 茎脉系统中的一种复杂组织 |
[1:28:38] | Xylem. X-Y-L-E-M, xylem. | 木质部 X-Y-L-E-M,木质部 |
[1:28:42] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[1:28:47] | They thought they had me, but I was too much for ’em. | 他们以为我完蛋了,但我太厉害了 |
[1:28:51] | …T-H-O-E-P-Y, | |
[1:28:55] | – orthoepy. – That’s correct. | -正音学 -正确 |
[1:28:57] | – Flocculation is originally Latin. – Could you use it in a sentence please? | -絮凝是源于拉丁文 -可否请造个句子呢? |
[1:29:01] | – Flocculation. – Can I have a definition please? | -絮凝 -可否说明一下定义? |
[1:29:03] | – That’s correct. – “Lobscouse.” | -正确 -“炖杂烩” |
[1:29:05] | – The language of origin, please. – Any alternate pronunciations? | -请说明一下原始语言 -有不同的发音法吗? |
[1:29:08] | – Gastromyth. – May I have a definition please? | -腹语者 -可否说明一下定义? |
[1:29:13] | – Latin. – Escharotic. | -拉丁 -腐蚀剂 |
[1:29:15] | – Madrigal. – That is correct. | -牧歌 -正确 |
[1:29:17] | – May I have the definition please? – From earliest known time. | -可否说明一下定义? -从已知最早的时间 |
[1:29:20] | – Aboriginally. – Correct. | -原来 -正确 |
[1:29:22] | – Language of origin? – Yes! | -原始语言? -好耶! |
[1:29:24] | Empleomania. | 官瘾 |
[1:29:26] | Any ratio without separation of two phases. | 两种相位以任何比例不会分离 |
[1:29:29] | …I-B-L-E, miscible. | …I-B-L-E,易混合的 |
[1:29:31] | Katie: If you’re just joining us, we’re here in the eighth round | 若您刚刚收看的话 我们正进行到了第八回合 |
[1:29:35] | of the national spelling bee with only 30 spellers remaining. | 目前仅剩下30名拼字者 |
[1:29:38] | …U… R… | |
[1:29:41] | S-U-S, excursus. | S-U-S,附录 |
[1:29:47] | “Argillaceous.” | “含黏土的” |
[1:29:50] | – Excuse me? – Argillaceous. | -请再说一遍 -含黏土的 |
[1:29:52] | Can I have the definition please? | 可否说明一下定义? |
[1:29:55] | Argillaceous means of, relating to, | 含黏土的表示 接近或包含黏土或黏土矿物质 |
[1:29:58] | or containing clay or clay minerals. | |
[1:30:00] | – May I have the language of origin? – Latin. | -可否说明一下原始语言? -拉丁 |
[1:30:03] | Man, that’s a white word if I ever heard one. It’s a trick– stop playing. | 老天,要是我听过,那是白人的字 那是诡计…少玩弄了 |
[1:30:06] | Katie: It’s the suffix that would trip up most people. | 后缀部份会骗倒大多数人 |
[1:30:09] | They would tend to spell it T-I-O-U-S, | 会容易拼成了T-I-O-U-S |
[1:30:11] | or C-I-O-U-S. | 或C-I-O-U-S |
[1:30:12] | Is it derived from the Latin word argilla, meaning clay? | 是不是取自拉丁字”陶土” 意思是黏土呢? |
[1:30:16] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[1:30:22] | A-R-G– | |
[1:30:26] | I-L– | |
[1:30:29] | L-A… | |
[1:30:36] | Come on. | 快呀 |
[1:30:51] | – Can I start over? – You may. | -我可以重头念吗? -可以 |
[1:30:53] | But you cannot change the letters you’ve already spelled. | 但你不能改变你已拼过的字母 |
[1:31:13] | A-R-G-I-L-L- | |
[1:31:19] | A-C-E-O-U-S, | |
[1:31:24] | – argillaceous. – That’s correct. | -含黏土的 -正确 |
[1:31:34] | She got it! That’s my little sister! | 她答对了! 那是我小妹! |
[1:31:53] | Well, it’s the 12th round, folks, and the five remaining spellers | 各位,现在是第12回合了 还剩下五位拼字者 |
[1:31:56] | are Mary Calveretti, age 12; | 分别是玛丽卡佛雷蒂,年12岁 |
[1:31:59] | 13-year-old Rajeeve Subramonian; | 13岁的拉吉舒伯摩尼亚 |
[1:32:01] | 12-year-old Javier Mendez; Dylan Chiu, also of Woodland Hills. | 12岁的贾维尔曼迪兹 以及同样伍兰岗来的邱狄伦 |
[1:32:05] | Wow, they really crank them out down there, don’t they? | 哇,他们真的迅速到达那里,是不是? |
[1:32:07] | Of course, Akeelah Anderson. | 当然了,还有阿琪拉安德森 |
[1:32:12] | Could you use the word in a sentence please? | 可否请用这个字造个句子呢? |
[1:32:14] | The Merovingian kings were known for having long red hair. | 梅罗文加王朝的国王 据知有着红色长发 |
[1:32:19] | Okay. Uh… | 好的… |
[1:32:21] | M… | |
[1:32:25] | A-R-O– | |
[1:32:28] | V-I-N-G-I-A-N, | |
[1:32:33] | Merovingian. | 梅罗文加王朝的 |
[1:32:39] | Merovingian is spelled | 梅罗文加王朝的是拼作… |
[1:32:41] | M-E-R-O-V-I-N-G-I-A-N. | |
[1:32:54] | I forgot to spell it how it sounds. 13th last year, fifth this year, | 我忘了要照声音去拼 去年第13名,今年第5名 |
[1:32:58] | next year I’ll take it all. Now it’s your turn. | 明年我要拿下一切 现在轮到你了 |
[1:33:10] | …I-S-M, mithridatism. | …I-S-M,抗毒性 |
[1:33:14] | …P-I-S-C-N-C-E, | |
[1:33:16] | – resipiscence. – That’s correct. | -悔过 -正确 |
[1:33:18] | …F-I-R-E? | |
[1:33:20] | Vitrophyre? | 玻基斑岩? |
[1:33:23] | …G-I-N-O-U-S, | |
[1:33:26] | – serpiginous. – That’s correct. | -匐行的 -正确 |
[1:33:28] | Yes! | 好耶! |
[1:33:32] | That’s my baby. | 那是我的孩子 |
[1:33:42] | We’re going to take a small break before Akeelah and Dylan | 我们要稍事休息一会 稍后阿琪拉和狄伦… |
[1:33:45] | commence with the championship-level words. | 将开始面对冠军等级的单字 |
[1:34:04] | Pretty good, huh? | 相当不错吧? |
[1:34:14] | Make sure you stay focused, right? | 你一定要保持专注,行吗? |
[1:34:17] | This is your last national spelling bee. | 这是你最后一次的全国拼字比赛 |
[1:34:20] | If you lose to that girl, you’re second place your whole life. | 如果你输给那女孩 你这辈子都是当老二的命 |
[1:34:24] | No way! You hear me? | 不行! 你听见我的话吗? |
[1:34:27] | – No way! – Peeking on someone? | -不行! -在偷窥别人吗? |
[1:34:31] | Just wishing Dylan good luck. | 只是希望狄伦好运 |
[1:34:33] | You’ve done a superb job. I am so proud of you. | 你表现得极为优秀,我好以你为荣 |
[1:34:36] | Now listen, they’re going to hit you with every trick word they’ve got. | 听好了,他们会用 各种狡猾的字来打击你 |
[1:34:40] | You just remember the things that we’ve studied. | 你只要记住我们学过的东西 |
[1:34:43] | You can take these words apart even if you’ve never seen them, right? | 纵使你从没见过那些字 你也可以拆开它们,对吧? |
[1:34:47] | But if I don’t beat Dylan, I’ve still got next year, right? | 要是我没打败狄伦 我还有明年,对吧? |
[1:34:51] | Well, of course you do. Although I don’t know | 当然有,虽然我不知道… |
[1:34:53] | how much time we’ll have to train together. | 我们必须共同训练多久时间 |
[1:34:56] | I’ve been asked to come back and teach at UCLA, and I’ve said yes. | 我已经被要求返回 加大洛杉矶分校教书,我也同意了 |
[1:35:01] | – Really? – Well, far be it from me to deny | -真的? -我很难以拒绝… |
[1:35:04] | the next WEB DuBois the benefits of my acerbic wit and sour disposition. | 我尖锐机智和酸溜性质的 下一笔韦柏杜波依斯津贴 |
[1:35:19] | – What’s the matter? – Nothing, Dr. Larabee. | -怎么了? -没事,拉勒比博士 |
[1:35:22] | I should get back. | 我应该回去了 |
[1:35:24] | No matter what happens… | 不管结果怎样… |
[1:35:29] | I want you to know that I couldn’t have gotten this far without you. | 我要你知道,若没有你 我无法到达这种地步 |
[1:35:34] | Akeelah, baby, there you are. Come on. | 阿琪拉,宝贝,原来你在那里 快点 |
[1:35:37] | I gotta go. | 我得走了 |
[1:35:40] | They’re about to start up again. | 他们准备继续开始了 |
[1:35:53] | Don’t look so nervous. I hear she had a pretty good coach. | 神情别这么紧张嘛 我听说她有位相当棒的教练 |
[1:36:00] | You know, I just found out that the bee only gives each kid two plane tickets. | 我刚刚发现比赛大会 只给每位孩子两张机票 |
[1:36:04] | I was wondering how we ended up with six. | 不知道怎么最后我们有六张 |
[1:36:07] | Uh… | |
[1:36:10] | perhaps it was some | 也许是某种… |
[1:36:12] | unexpected largess on the part of the bee. | 比赛部份中意想不到的慷慨贺礼 |
[1:36:17] | Or perhaps Akeelah’s coach is also pretty generous. | 或许阿琪拉的教练也同样相当慷慨 |
[1:36:25] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[1:36:27] | For everything. | 对于所有的事 |
[1:36:30] | – You’re welcome. – Ladies and gentlemen, | -不客气 -各位先生女士 |
[1:36:33] | let’s welcome Akeelah and Dylan back to the stage. | 让我们欢迎阿琪拉和狄伦 返回台上 |
[1:36:37] | Ted: Now remember, if either speller misses a word, | 现在记住,不管哪一方拼错字 |
[1:36:40] | the other has to spell that missed word | 另一方必须拼对那个错字 |
[1:36:43] | – plus another to win, right? – Katie: That’s right. | -另外再答对一个字才能赢,对吧? -没错 |
[1:36:45] | And we could exhaust all 25 championship words. | 我们可能会用光 所有的25个冠军单字 |
[1:36:49] | But it’s never happened. | 但那种事从未发生过 |
[1:36:51] | The championship words are just too difficult. | 冠军单字实在是太难了 |
[1:36:53] | – “Filiopietistic.” – Can I have the definition please? | -“愚孝” -可否说明一下定义? |
[1:36:56] | Of, or relating to, an often excessive | 相关于一种传统 |
[1:36:59] | veneration of ancestors or tradition. | 或者对祖先过份的孝敬 |
[1:37:02] | Filiopietistic: | 愚孝: |
[1:37:03] | F-I– | |
[1:37:07] | L-I… | |
[1:37:28] | Akeelah, you’re up. | 阿琪拉,该你上了 |
[1:37:37] | “Xanthosis.” | “黄肤症” |
[1:37:39] | – Xanthosis? – It starts with an X. | -黄肤症? -是X开头 |
[1:38:02] | Miss Anderson? | 安德森小姐? |
[1:38:12] | Xanthosis: | 黄肤症: |
[1:38:14] | Z-A-N– | |
[1:38:18] | T-H-O– | |
[1:38:21] | S-I-S… | |
[1:38:24] | xanthosis. | 黄肤症 |
[1:38:41] | Dylan, it’s your turn. | 狄伦,轮到你了 |
[1:38:50] | “Xanthosis.” | “黄肤症” |
[1:39:06] | Xanthosis: | 黄肤症: |
[1:39:07] | X-A-N– | |
[1:39:10] | T-H-O-S… | |
[1:39:17] | E-S, xanthosis. | E-S,黄肤症 |
[1:39:24] | Xanthosis is spelled | 黄肤症拼法是… |
[1:39:25] | X-A-N– | |
[1:39:27] | T-H-O-S-I-S. | |
[1:39:33] | Can I get some water, please? | 可以请给我一些开水吗? |
[1:39:35] | Can we please get both spellers some water? | 请给两位拼字者一些开水 |
[1:39:43] | – What are you doing? | – What are you doing? -你在做什么? -你在做什么? |
[1:39:46] | – You just threw that word. – So did you. | -你刚刚故意输掉那个字 -你也是 |
[1:39:48] | You’re just gonna give this all away? | 你要放弃这一切? |
[1:39:51] | Your dad will be happy. | 你爸会高兴的 |
[1:39:54] | Who cares? He’s never won anything in his life. | 谁在乎啊? 他这一生没赢过任何事 |
[1:39:58] | I won the regionals three times in a row. | 我连续赢了州赛三次 |
[1:40:00] | And I finished second in the nationals twice. | 拿了全国比赛第二名两次 |
[1:40:03] | And now you can finish first. I could do it next year. | 现在你可以摘下冠军 我可以明年再来 |
[1:40:06] | – You do your best this year. – Dylan– | -你今年要发挥最大实力 -狄伦… |
[1:40:10] | You do your best… | 你要发挥你的实力… |
[1:40:11] | or I don’t want it. | 否则我不想要 |
[1:40:15] | Man: Here’s your water. | 你们的开水 |
[1:40:23] | That’s kind of amazing, isn’t it, that both of these incredible spellers | 那有点令人惊奇,是不是? 这两位不可思议的拼字者… |
[1:40:27] | would stumble on that word? | 竟然都败给了那个字? |
[1:40:29] | I think we’ve got some pretty nervous kids up there. | 我想我们这儿有些相当紧张的孩子 |
[1:40:31] | “Effleurage” or “effleurage.” | “轻抚法”或念作”轻抚法” |
[1:40:39] | E-F-F-L-E-U– | |
[1:40:43] | R-A-G-E, | |
[1:40:45] | – effleurage. – That’s correct. | -轻抚法 -正确 |
[1:40:51] | Ted: This is just like watching two star tennis players | 这仿佛在观看两位明星网球选手 |
[1:40:54] | at the net returning volleys. I mean, these kids are incredible. | 在场上平分秋色来回击球 我是指,这些孩子太不可思议了 |
[1:40:58] | Lagniappe: L-A-G-N-I-A-P-P-E, lagniappe. | 赠品: L-A-G-N-I-A-P-P-E,赠品 |
[1:41:02] | – Sumpsimus. – Could you use it in a sentence please? | -正确措辞 -可否请造个句子呢? |
[1:41:04] | – Is that a verb? – Ophelimity. | -是动词吗? -满足度 |
[1:41:05] | – Tralatitious. – That is correct. | -比喻的 -正确 |
[1:41:07] | – Sophrosyne. – Parrhesia. | -自制 -直言不讳 |
[1:41:09] | – Is that Greek? – Was that Latin? | -是希腊文吗? -是拉丁文吗? |
[1:41:10] | – What’s the language… -…of origin please? | -请问它的原始… -…语言是什么? |
[1:41:12] | – Lyophilize. – Zarzuela. | -冻干 -说唱剧 |
[1:41:13] | – Vibrissae. – Craquelure. | -触毛 -龟裂缝 |
[1:41:15] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[1:41:16] | Ted: These kids a chewing through these super-tough words | 这些孩子咀嚼这些超难的字 |
[1:41:19] | like they were breakfast cereal. | 好像在吃早餐麦片粥一样简单 |
[1:41:21] | Katie: You know, they could actually go the distance, | 他们真的可能达成目标 |
[1:41:24] | and most people consider that unthinkable. | 多数人认为那无法想像 |
[1:41:26] | We’re now 13 words into the championship level. | 我们现在进入冠军等级的13个字 |
[1:41:30] | If you make it through the remaining 12 words, you’ll be co-champions. | 如果你们通过剩余的12个字 就将双双并列冠军 |
[1:41:34] | That’s never happened before. | 那是前所未有的事 |
[1:41:37] | – Vinegarroon. – Ecdysis. | -鞭尾蝎 -蜕皮 |
[1:41:38] | – Concitato. – Puerpera. | -激动 -产妇 |
[1:41:40] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[1:41:42] | Ted: Dylan and Akeelah are trying to stage a miracle here. | 狄伦和阿琪拉正努力在此上演奇迹 |
[1:41:44] | Katie: And to make it to the finish line they need each other to succeed. | 要抵达终点线,他们需要彼此成功 |
[1:41:48] | …E-R-A-Z… | |
[1:41:57] | A-D-I-A-N, | |
[1:41:59] | – Scheherazadian. – That’s correct. | -天方夜谭 -正确 |
[1:42:06] | Akeelah: …L-O-G-I… | |
[1:42:10] | C-A-L, palynological. | C-A-L,孢粉 |
[1:42:14] | That’s correct. | 正确 |
[1:42:22] | Judge: Ladies and gentlemen, we are down | 各位先生女士,我们现在到了 |
[1:42:24] | to the final two championship words. | 最后两个冠军单字 |
[1:42:26] | One or both of our spellers | 我们的拼字者其中一位或两位 |
[1:42:29] | will walk away with the first place trophy. | 将抱走第一名的奖杯 |
[1:42:32] | Dylan, you’re up. | 狄伦,该你上 |
[1:42:41] | – “Logorrhea.” – May I have the definition please? | -“多语症” -可否说明一下定义? |
[1:42:44] | Logorrhea is excessive | 多语症是过度 和经常无条理的叨絮说话 |
[1:42:47] | and often incoherent talkativeness. | |
[1:42:55] | Logorrhea: | 多语症: |
[1:43:00] | L… | |
[1:43:03] | O… | |
[1:43:05] | G-O… | |
[1:43:09] | R… | |
[1:43:11] | R-H… | |
[1:43:14] | E-A, logorrhea? | E-A,多语症? |
[1:43:17] | Judge: Congratulations, Dylan, | 恭喜你,狄伦 |
[1:43:20] | you’ve won the Scripps National Spelling Bee. | 你已赢得了 史奎普斯全国拼字比赛 |
[1:43:23] | Yes! Yes! | 好! 好! |
[1:43:30] | Go get ’em. | 去给他们好看吧 |
[1:43:38] | Ladies and gentlemen, please be seated for Akeelah’s turn. | 各位先生女士 请就座,轮到阿琪拉了 |
[1:43:48] | “Pulchritude.” | “窈窕美丽” |
[1:43:50] | Pulchritude. | 窈窕美丽 |
[1:43:58] | It’s derived from the Latin word “pulcher,” | 是取自拉丁字”pulcher” |
[1:44:02] | meaning beautiful, | 意思是美丽 |
[1:44:04] | – isn’t it? – That’s correct. | -是不是? -正确 |
[1:44:08] | – P– – U– | |
[1:44:09] | – L– – C– | |
[1:44:11] | – H– – R– | |
[1:44:12] | – I– – T– | |
[1:44:14] | – U– – D– | |
[1:44:15] | – E. – Pulchritude. | -窈窕美丽 |
[1:44:21] | Congratulations, Akeelah. | 恭喜你,阿琪拉 |
[1:44:28] | That’s what I’m talking about! | 那才是我说的样子! |
[1:44:32] | Akeelah: You know that feeling where everything feels right? | 你知道那种一切感觉美好的感觉吗? |
[1:44:36] | Where you don’t have to worry about tomorrow | 不必担忧明天 |
[1:44:39] | or yesterday, | 或者明天 |
[1:44:41] | but you feel safe and know you’re doing the best you can? | 而是感觉安全 而且知道自己正在尽最大努力 |
[1:44:44] | There’s a word for that feeling. | 有个字适合那种感觉 |
[1:44:47] | It’s called love. | 它叫做爱 |
[1:44:50] | L-O-V-E. | |
[1:44:53] | And it’s what I feel for all my family, | 那也是我对所有家人… |
[1:44:56] | and all my coaches in my neighborhood, | 以及我邻近所有的教练 |
[1:44:59] | where I come from, | 我所来自的地方 |
[1:45:01] | where I learned how to spell. | 我学会如何拼字的地方的感觉 |
[1:45:24] | We did it. | 我们办到了 |
[1:45:44] | * Write it down a thousand times * | |
[1:45:49] | * Four-letter word that makes me cry * | |
[1:45:54] | * How I feel about it I can’t decide * | |
[1:45:58] | * No, I don’t know, so I’ll improvise * | |
[1:46:04] | * Is it living in our heart? * | |
[1:46:08] | * Or in our mind? * | |
[1:46:11] | * I don’t know * | |
[1:46:13] | * So, World, ready or not * | |
[1:46:17] | * Here I go * | |
[1:46:20] | * Searching for the answer * | |
[1:46:23] | * And I’m not gonna stop * | |
[1:46:27] | * Till I find where it lingers inside me * | |
[1:46:33] | * How does it come to be? * | |
[1:46:38] | * What should it mean to me? * | |
[1:46:43] | * Teach me the definition * | |
[1:46:47] | * Of true love * | |
[1:46:58] | * I was so afraid I’d never succeed * | |
[1:47:02] | * But you made me feel I could do anything * | |
[1:47:08] | * Memorize the things we would say and do * | |
[1:47:12] | * Must be the love and the strength that I found in you * | |
[1:47:18] | * Is it living in our heart? * | |
[1:47:22] | * Or in our mind? * | |
[1:47:25] | * I don’t know * | |
[1:47:29] | * So, World, ready or not * | |
[1:47:33] | * Ooh, here I go, searching for the answer * | |
[1:47:39] | * And I’m not gonna stop * | |
[1:47:43] | * Till I find where it lives inside me * | |
[1:47:50] | * How does it come to be? * | |
[1:47:54] | * What should it mean to me? * | |
[1:47:59] | * Teach me the definition * | |
[1:48:03] | * Of true love * | |
[1:48:08] | * Love only feels good * | |
[1:48:11] | * True love always believes * | |
[1:48:15] | * And it gives way the boundaries * | |
[1:48:19] | * Willing to sacrifice unconditionally * | |
[1:48:24] | * So, World, ready or not * | |
[1:48:28] | * Oh, here I go * | |
[1:48:31] | * Searching for the answer * | |
[1:48:34] | * And I’m not gonna stop * | |
[1:48:38] | * Till I find where it lives inside of me * | |
[1:48:44] | * How does it come to be? * | |
[1:48:48] | * What should it mean to me? * | |
[1:48:53] | * Teach me the definition * | |
[1:48:57] | – * Of true love * – * So, World, ready or not * | |
[1:49:02] | – * Here I go, oh, yeah yeah * – * Here I go * | |
[1:49:05] | – * Searching for the answer * – * And I’m not gonna stop * | |
[1:49:12] | * Till I find where it lives inside me * | |
[1:49:18] | – * How does it come to be? * | – * How does it come to be? * |
[1:49:23] | – * What should it mean to me? * – * What should it mean? * | |
[1:49:28] | * Teach me the definition * | |
[1:49:33] | * Of true love. * | |
[1:49:42] | Akeelah: Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:49:48] | * I ain’t too young to know * | |
[1:49:52] | * That life has its highs and lows * | |
[1:49:56] | * And things won’t always * | |
[1:49:59] | * Turn out quite like I think * | |
[1:50:04] | * And though I have much to learn * | |
[1:50:09] | * To weather the twists and turns * | |
[1:50:13] | * I know that I’m capable * | |
[1:50:16] | * To deal with what life brings me * | |
[1:50:20] | * I’m strong, I’m ready * | |
[1:50:25] | * To be on my own * | |
[1:50:31] | * Let me spread my wings * | |
[1:50:35] | * Let me go * | |
[1:50:39] | * Don’t hold so tight * | |
[1:50:43] | * ‘Cause I can fly alone * | |
[1:50:47] | * I need you to trust me * | |
[1:50:50] | * Have faith and let me * | |
[1:50:52] | * Make it on my own * | |
[1:50:56] | * Please let me * | |
[1:50:58] | * Your baby * | |
[1:51:01] | * Go. * | |
[1:51:25] | * Still so many answers I don’t know * | |
[1:51:30] | * There are so many answers * | |
[1:51:34] | * Realize that to question * | |
[1:51:37] | * Is how we grow * | |
[1:51:40] | * To question is to grow * | |
[1:51:43] | * So I step out of the ordinary * | |
[1:51:48] | * I can feel my soul ascending * | |
[1:51:52] | * I’m on my way * | |
[1:51:54] | * Can’t stop me now * | |
[1:51:57] | * You can do the same * | |
[1:52:00] | * Yeah * | |
[1:52:02] | * What have you done today to make you proud? * | |
[1:52:05] | * To make you proud, yeah * | |
[1:52:07] | * Let me hear you, let me hear you * | |
[1:52:10] | * Let me hear you, so what have you done today * | |
[1:52:13] | * To make you feel proud? * | |
[1:52:16] | * Yeah yeah yeah yeah! * | |
[1:52:20] | * ‘Cause you could be so many people * | |
[1:52:24] | * If you make that bid for freedom * | |
[1:52:29] | * So what have you done today to make you feel proud? * | |
[1:52:34] | * What have you done today * | |
[1:52:37] | – * To make you feel proud? * – * Yeah, let me hear you * | |
[1:52:39] | * What have you done today? * | |
[1:52:42] | * What have you done today? What have you done today * | |
[1:52:46] | * To make you feel proud? * | |
[1:52:49] | * Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah. * |