时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | You got about ten seconds to reach a point with this | 你有十秒钟解释清楚这些 |
[00:09] | before this water ends up on your head. | 否则这水就要扣你头上了 |
[00:11] | Describe the image I just put on the cabinet over there. | 描述一下我刚放在柜子上的图 |
[00:13] | And I’m not allowed to move? | 而我不能动吗 |
[00:15] | You can, but remember | 你可以动 但是记住 |
[00:16] | Mr. Enriquez specifically stated | 恩奎斯先生特别说了 |
[00:18] | that he was walking the punch bowl to the band shell, | 他当时端着酒钵走向演奏台 |
[00:20] | about to set it thereupon, | 就在他要放下时 |
[00:22] | at the moment he heard the gunshots. | 他听到了枪声 |
[00:23] | Also remember there was no evidence of spilled sangria– | 另外记住 地上没有洒出来的酒 |
[00:26] | as would happen if someone in your position abruptly turned– | 如果有人像你这样 突然转身 |
[00:29] | found at the scene. | 现场就该有洒出来的酒 |
[00:32] | There’s no way Enriquez saw the shooter. | 恩奎斯不可能看见开枪的人 |
[00:34] | His statement’s a lie. | 他的证词是假的 |
[00:35] | Think he’s covering for someone? | 觉得他是在替谁打掩护吗 |
[00:37] | If by “someone” you mean “himself.” | 如果你说的「谁」是指他自己的话 |
[00:39] | In the course of your investigation you discovered | 在你调查的过程中 你发现 |
[00:41] | that the victim was a wanted wildlife trafficker. | 被害人是个被通缉的野生动物贩子 |
[00:43] | Wanted, most notably, for smuggling | 特别是被通缉的原因 是从厄瓜多尔 |
[00:45] | rare Galápagos iguanas out of Ecuador. | 走私珍稀动物加拉帕戈斯鬣蜥 |
[00:47] | Mr. Enriquez is from Ecuador. | 恩奎斯先生就来自厄瓜多尔 |
[00:50] | And in these photographs, from the day of the murder, | 在这些案发当天的照片中 |
[00:53] | I saw multiple scars on his arms | 我看到他手臂上有多处伤痕 |
[00:55] | consistent with those of Galápagos iguana bites. | 符合加拉帕戈斯鬣蜥的咬痕 |
[00:58] | Trust me when I say I know of what I speak. | 相信我 我知道自己在说什么 |
[01:01] | You think this was some kind of business dispute? | 你认为这是某种生意上的争执 |
[01:04] | I think that in light of Mr. Enriquez’s false statement | 我认为鉴于恩奎斯先生的假供词 |
[01:05] | he’s worth a second look. | 值得再查查他 |
[01:12] | A poop emoji? | 一个便便的表情 |
[01:14] | Oh, I thought it was ice cream. | 我还以为是冰淇凌 |
[01:21] | That’s Deputy Chief Prosky, isn’t it? | 那是普罗斯基副局长吧 |
[01:24] | That’s him. | 是他 |
[01:25] | He’s the captain’s boss, isn’t he? | 他是警监的上司吧 |
[01:26] | Is there a… Problem? | 有什么问题吗 |
[01:28] | Technically, he’s the captain’s boss’ boss, | 严格说来 他是警监的上司的上司 |
[01:31] | which means he’s my boss’ boss’ boss, | 也就是我上司的上司的上司 |
[01:33] | which means I’m gonna mind my own business. | 也就意味着我决定不多管闲事 |
[01:36] | But thanks, now that I know you think something’s wrong, | 但多谢了 现在我知道你觉得有地方不对 |
[01:39] | I’m gonna be worrying, too. I’m gonna go spill this out. | 我也会开始担心了 我去把这个倒了 |
[01:43] | You should take down your “ice cream” before Prosky sees it. | 你最好在普罗斯基看到前 拿走你的「冰淇凌」 |
[01:53] | No, no, no, no, I’m not calming down! | 不不不 我不要冷静 |
[01:56] | Our place is trashed! | 我们的地方被毁了 |
[01:57] | Len, keep your voice down. Let her talk. | 伦恩 声音小点 让她说 |
[01:59] | We’ll take care of everything, I promise. | 我们会处理所有的事 我保证 |
[02:01] | It’s in your contract. | 合同里都写了 |
[02:02] | I told you we did not need renters, okay? | 我说过我们不需要房客 |
[02:03] | We should have paid for a house sitter. | 我们花钱是找人看家的 |
[02:05] | AwayKay carries insurance for just such situations. | 空房乐租为这种情况上了保险 |
[02:08] | Guests we paired you with did all this damage, | 我们介绍的客人造成了这些损害 |
[02:11] | – so we’ll cover all the costs. – Oh, really? | -因此我们会负责全部赔偿 -真的吗 |
[02:13] | You see this rug? It’s an antique. | 看见这地毯没 这是古董 |
[02:15] | Are they gonna give me 50 grand for it? | 他们会为它赔我五万美金吗 |
[02:16] | No, that’s what I thought. Look, I’m calling the cops, | 不会 我也是这么想的 我要报警了 |
[02:18] | because this is vandalism. | 这是肆意破坏他人财产 |
[02:20] | AwayKaying is against the co-op charter. They could throw us out. | 空房乐租和公司章程冲突 咱们会被开除 |
[02:22] | – And you knew that? – It was 11 grand a month, Len. | -你早就知道 -房租每月过万啊 伦恩 |
[02:26] | Now, what the hell? | 什么东西 |
[02:29] | What the hell is this, a fireplace poker or something? | 这是什么鬼 壁炉棍子 还是什么 |
[02:31] | What were they doing in here? | 他们在这里干了什么 |
[02:32] | Wait, before you pull that out, | 等等 在你把那东西拿出来前 |
[02:34] | let me get a photo for the insurance. | 先让我拍照张相以便保险索赔 |
[02:35] | That’s in there pretty tight. | 还挺牢 |
[02:37] | Len, will you stop it? | 伦恩 你够了吧 |
[02:38] | You’re gonna break the wall. Now, honey, could you get my tools? | -墙要碎了 -亲爱的 能帮我拿工具吗 |
[02:41] | What is in there? | 那里面到底有什么啊 |
[02:43] | You’re not getting that out of the wall, so… | 你不能把它拔出墙 所以… |
[02:46] | Len, stop it! | 伦恩 住手 |
[02:49] | Stop it, please. | 住手 求你了 |
[03:35] | Pretty sure we solved all those cases. | 我很确定那些案子都解决了 |
[03:37] | You are right, we did. | 没错 是解决了 |
[03:39] | So, why the trip down memory lane? | 所以这往事重温是什么意思 |
[03:42] | Last night while I was at the precinct I observed the captain | 昨晚我在局里的时候 我发现警监 |
[03:44] | in a closed-door meeting with a superior officer. | 跟他的上司在关着门开会 |
[03:47] | I could see they were reviewing a number of closed cases. | 我看到他们在重新过一些结案的案子 |
[03:50] | I checked the file room to see which files had been pulled, | 我去档案室查了下被取出的档案 |
[03:52] | and voilà– our cases. | 看看 是咱们的案子 |
[03:55] | Or, rather, a curious number of them. | 或者说 是不少咱们的案子 |
[03:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[03:59] | I’m attempting to determine | 我很想知道 |
[04:01] | why they were looking at these particular files | 他们为什么在看这些档案 |
[04:03] | and what they were discussing. | 以及他们在讨论什么 |
[04:04] | Are we in hot water again? Has Internal Affairs | 咱们又遇上麻烦了吗 还是内务部 |
[04:07] | turned its Orwellian eye on us once more? | 再一次把它严格的目光投向了我们 |
[04:10] | So what if they have? | 如果真是如此呢 |
[04:11] | We’ve weathered the storm before. | 咱们以前经历过这种事 |
[04:13] | It’s not like we’ve broken any rules lately. | 我们最近又没有违反什么规定 |
[04:15] | – Well, any more than usual. – It’s true. | -没比以往违规的次数多 -确实如此 |
[04:17] | But wouldn’t you rather know what kind of attack | 但你难道不想知道我们遇上了什么 |
[04:18] | we have to defend ourselves against? | 需要自己抵挡的攻击吗 |
[04:20] | It could also be nothing. | 也可能什么事都没有 |
[04:22] | How could it be nothing? | 怎么可能没事 |
[04:23] | Just because those weren’t in the file room | 它们不在档案室 |
[04:25] | doesn’t mean that they’re the ones that they’re looking at. | 并不意味着警监他们看的就是这些 |
[04:28] | And whatever it is, the captain’s got our back. | 不管怎么回事 警监会支持我们 |
[04:30] | So if it’s something he thinks that we need to know, | 如果这事他觉得咱们该知道 |
[04:33] | he’ll tell us. | 他会告诉咱们 |
[04:34] | I’m gonna make some breakfast. Do you want anything? | 我要做早饭了 你吃什么吗 |
[04:37] | It’s Marcus. | 是马库斯 |
[04:38] | Hello? | 喂 |
[04:41] | Yes, we’ll be right there. | 好的 我们马上过去 |
[04:42] | Well, at least we know we haven’t been benched just yet. | 起码我们刚知道了 我们还没被禁用 |
[04:45] | Make it breakfast to go, Watson. | 做点能带在路上吃的早餐吧 华生 |
[04:53] | Victim’s name is Russell Cole. | 被害人叫罗素·科尔 |
[04:55] | He owned this apartment. Super found him. | 这间公寓是他的 临时工发现的他 |
[04:58] | Mr. Cole worked for Barrett White Capital, | 科尔先生在巴瑞特·怀特公司工作 |
[05:00] | an investment firm. | 一家投资公司 |
[05:01] | He was a quant– quantitative analyst. Deep math guy. | 他是一位定量分析师 搞数学的 |
[05:05] | They use complicated formulas to analyze companies | 他们用复杂的公式分析公司 |
[05:07] | and then make investment recommendations. | 然后作出投资建议 |
[05:11] | No sign of forced entry. | 没有闯入痕迹 |
[05:12] | Looks like there was a struggle, though. | 但是看起来有过打斗 |
[05:15] | So, no one saw or heard anything. | 所以没人看到或听到什么 |
[05:17] | Well, the folks next door had some noisy AwayKayers. | 隔壁的人把房子租给了吵闹的空房租客 |
[05:20] | They’d moved on, | 他们搬走了 |
[05:20] | but the other neighbors didn’t know that, | 但其他邻居不知道 |
[05:22] | so a few extra crashes and bangs were just ignored. | 所以额外的打砸声被忽略了 |
[05:25] | Plus everyone thought Cole was out of town. | 再说所有人都以为科尔出城了 |
[05:27] | They said they hadn’t seen him in weeks. | 他们说已经几周没见过他了 |
[05:29] | Overnight bag by the door is full of clothes. | 门口的行李包里都是衣服 |
[05:31] | He must have just come home. | 他肯定是刚回家 |
[05:33] | Anyway, nobody shows up planning to commit a murder | 不管怎样 不会有人计划用壁炉火钩 |
[05:36] | with a fireplace poker, | 实施谋杀的 |
[05:37] | so I’m thinking this wasn’t premeditated. | 所以我觉得这不是预谋好的 |
[05:40] | Cole let the person in, | 科尔让这个人进了门 |
[05:41] | so maybe they knew each other and for whatever reason, | 也许他们互相认识 出于一些原因 |
[05:44] | things turned ugly. | 情况失控了 |
[05:45] | You’re incorrect. | 你错了 |
[05:48] | About it not being premeditated. | 关于没有预谋这点 |
[05:52] | The killer came armed with this. | 凶手是带着这个来的 |
[05:56] | It’s a textured grip, so it might be hard to get prints, | 枪把手有纹理 也许很难提取指纹 |
[05:58] | but it’s worth a try. | 但值得一试 |
[06:00] | Magazine isn’t seated properly. | 弹夹没有上好 |
[06:02] | That weapon would have failed to fire. | 凶器可能是没能开火 |
[06:06] | Well, how’d you know to look under there? | 你怎么知道要看那下面 |
[06:08] | As you said, no one plans to commit a murder this way, | 如你所说 没人会计划这样实施谋杀 |
[06:10] | and yet the specificity of the crime suggests it was planned. | 但犯罪的明确性表示这就是计划好的 |
[06:13] | And that raises another possible scenario: | 这就提出了另一种可能性 |
[06:15] | the killer came better armed. | 凶手是带着凶器来的 |
[06:17] | A fight ensued, he or she was disarmed | 发生打斗之后 他或她被缴械了 |
[06:20] | before grabbing the poker to finish the job. | 然后拿起火钳完成了谋杀 |
[06:23] | What specificity? | 什么明确性 |
[06:24] | Timing of the attack. | 袭击发生的时间 |
[06:26] | Just as Mr. Cole gets home. | 就在科尔先生回家的时候 |
[06:28] | Plus the fact that, by appearances, | 再加上看起来唯一失踪的东西 |
[06:30] | the only other thing missing is his laptop. | 就是他的笔记本电脑 |
[06:34] | This bag is dusty, bleached by the sun, | 这个包上都是灰 被太阳晒褪色了 |
[06:37] | apart from this area here. | 除了这个区域 |
[06:39] | Now, this bag comes with a removable laptop sleeve. | 这个包有一个装可移动电脑的兜 |
[06:42] | It sits right there. So, if his laptop is missing, | 就在这里 所以如果电脑不见了 |
[06:45] | perhaps the killer has it. | 也许是被凶手拿走了 |
[06:47] | Well, we haven’t found it yet. | 我们还没找到它 |
[06:51] | Captain wants me to stop by for a word, | 警监想让我过去聊几句 |
[06:53] | as one does when one wants to discuss nothing. | 通常一个人如果没什么要讨论的就会这么说 |
[06:57] | Cole was a Wall Street analyst. | 科尔是华尔街的分析师 |
[06:59] | His laptop could have contained a lot of things worth killing over– | 他电脑里可能有很多值得杀人的东西 |
[07:01] | insider information, proof of a financial crime. | 内部信息 金融犯罪的证据 |
[07:04] | Well, you go talk to the captain, | 你去跟警监谈 |
[07:06] | we’ll go to Cole’s office, | 我们去科尔的办公室 |
[07:07] | see if we can find out what he was working on. | 看看能不能查出他在做什么 |
[07:10] | Oh, my God. | 我的天啊 |
[07:14] | This is horrible. | 这太可怕了 |
[07:16] | Were you and Mr. Cole close? | 你跟科尔先生很熟吗 |
[07:18] | Oh, Russell didn’t just work for me. | 罗素不光是为我工作 |
[07:21] | He was family. | 他如同我的家人 |
[07:22] | He started here right out of school. | 他一毕业就来这里工作了 |
[07:24] | Can you think of any reason | 你能想到任何 |
[07:26] | someone might have wanted to kill him? | 会让人想杀他的原因吗 |
[07:28] | I… I mean, people get angry at us all the time. | 人们经常会对我们不满 |
[07:31] | Threaten us. | 威胁我们 |
[07:32] | We give a company a poor rating, millions of dollars disappear. | 如果我们给一家公司评级很低 数百万就没了 |
[07:36] | But… nothing like this. | 但没有这样的情况 |
[07:38] | Was there anything that Russell was working on in particular | 罗素最近的工作有没有什么特殊的 |
[07:40] | that might have aroused threats? | 可能会让他受到威胁 |
[07:42] | I’m sorry, you seem pretty sure he was killed because of work. | 抱歉 你们看起来很肯定他是因工作而死 |
[07:45] | Is there a reason? | 有理由吗 |
[07:47] | We think a laptop was taken from his apartment. | 我们觉得他的电脑被人拿走了 |
[07:49] | Could be whatever he had on it | 也许电脑里的东西 |
[07:51] | is what the person was after. | 就是凶手的目的 |
[07:53] | Well, the truth is | 其实 |
[07:54] | I have no idea what he was working on. | 我完全不知道他在做什么 |
[07:56] | Russell specialized in tech, medicine, I.T., aerospace, | 罗素的专长是科技 医药 信息技术 航空 |
[08:01] | but as to what he was into at any given moment, I… | 但关于他目前在做什么 我… |
[08:07] | He was my mad genius. | 他是我的疯狂天才 |
[08:09] | He’d beat the bushes on his own, | 他会独自披荆斩棘 |
[08:10] | look for opportunities no one else saw. | 寻求其他人看不到的机会 |
[08:12] | Go off somewhere private, | 去隐秘的地方 |
[08:14] | deep dive into a company’s numbers. | 深入挖掘一家公司的数据 |
[08:16] | I gave him a long leash | 我给他很大的权限 |
[08:18] | because he always came back with gold. | 因为他总能带回金子 |
[08:20] | Was he on one of these deep dives the last few weeks? | 他前几周是不是去挖掘数据了 |
[08:23] | His neighbors said he hadn’t been home. | 他的邻居说他一直不在家 |
[08:26] | Any idea where he went? | 你知道他去哪了吗 |
[08:28] | No clue. | 不知道 |
[08:31] | Oh. My wife is gonna be devastated. | 我妻子一定会很伤心 |
[08:34] | Is that her? | 那是她吗 |
[08:36] | Laurie. She won a trip to Maui in some charity thing. | 劳丽 她在某个慈善活动中赢了毛伊岛之旅 |
[08:40] | She took a girlfriend. | 她带了一个女性朋友去 |
[08:41] | I want to help any way I can. What do you need? | 我想尽我所能帮忙 你们需要什么 |
[08:44] | Well, we’d like to go through Mr. Cole’s office, | 我们想检查一下科尔先生的办公室 |
[08:46] | see if can figure out what he’s been working on. | 看看能不能查出他在做什么 |
[08:48] | We’d also like access to his e-mails and correspondence | 我们还想看看他的电子邮件和信件 |
[08:51] | so we could look for any threats. | 看看有没有人威胁他 |
[08:53] | I’ll walk you over there myself. | 我亲自带你们过去 |
[08:59] | Come in. | 进来 |
[09:01] | Sit down. | 坐吧 |
[09:04] | Should I be concerned? | 我该担心吗 |
[09:05] | Relax. I had a hunch you picked up a vibe last night | 放松 我觉得你昨晚肯定察觉到了 |
[09:09] | and I didn’t want you in your head about it. | 我不希望你一直乱想 |
[09:10] | The meeting that you saw– it wasn’t, uh, what you think. | 你昨晚看到的会面 不是你想的那样 |
[09:14] | Well, I haven’t decided what I think, but go on. | 我还没决定好该怎么想 但请继续 |
[09:17] | Did you ever hear of, uh, Medal Day? | 你听说过表彰日吗 |
[09:20] | Annual NYPD tradition. | 纽约警局的年度传统 |
[09:22] | The, uh, mayor and the police commissioner give out medals | 市长和警长为英勇杰出的警官 |
[09:24] | to officers for valor, distinguished service. | 颁发奖章 |
[09:26] | Not to mention purple shields | 还会给因公负伤的警察 |
[09:27] | for those injured in the line of duty. | 颁发紫盾 |
[09:29] | They also give out something called a unit citation | 他们还会给做出模范工作的小队 |
[09:32] | to squads that have done exemplary work, | 颁发一种叫小组嘉奖的东西 |
[09:34] | and this year they’re giving one out to Major Case. | 今年他们准备给重案组一个名额 |
[09:39] | The ceremony’s in a few days. | 典礼过几天举行 |
[09:40] | Well, that’s well deserved. Congratulations. | 这是你们应得的 恭喜 |
[09:43] | I wasn’t gonna say anything to you and Joan | 我没有告诉你和乔恩 |
[09:44] | because it still might not happen, | 是因为这事还不确定 |
[09:46] | but civilian employees are included in the award, | 但平民顾问是包括在奖项里的 |
[09:50] | and I want your names on the list. | 我想把你们的名字也放到名单里 |
[09:53] | It isn’t money or anything, | 没有钱什么的 |
[09:55] | you’d just be part of the department’s official record | 你只是会被写入警局的官方记录 |
[09:57] | and you’d each get a certificate. | 然后每人获得一个奖状 |
[09:59] | Something to hang on the wall. | 可以用来装饰墙壁 |
[10:01] | I see. | 我知道了 |
[10:02] | I have been getting some resistance. | 我受到了一些阻力 |
[10:06] | I thought you should know about it. | 我想应该告诉你 |
[10:13] | Mrs. Barrett. | 巴瑞特夫人 |
[10:16] | I don’t mean to startle you. I’m Joan Watson. | 我无意惊吓您 我是乔恩·华生 |
[10:17] | I work with the police. | 我是警方的顾问 |
[10:19] | I’m investigating the murder of Russell Cole. | 我在调查罗素·科尔谋杀案 |
[10:23] | Yes, my husband told me. | 是的 我丈夫告诉我了 |
[10:25] | Your husband has a photo in his office of you at a luau. | 你丈夫办公室有张你在烤猪野宴上的照片 |
[10:29] | I noticed there was something blocking the lens in one corner. | 我注意到镜头一角被什么东西挡住了 |
[10:33] | I had an idea what it was, so I looked into it. | 我大概知道那是什么 所以我查了查 |
[10:35] | That picture was taken on Russell’s phone. | 照片是用罗素的手机拍的 |
[10:37] | His case was broken, | 他的手机壳裂了 |
[10:38] | and a piece of plastic was sticking out over the camera. | 塑料碎片凸出来挡住了镜头 |
[10:42] | Police thought it had been damaged during the murder. | 警方本以为那是在谋杀过程中被摔裂的 |
[10:44] | But then I remembered seeing a picture at his place | 但我记起在他家里看到一张照片 |
[10:47] | with the same obstruction. | 上面有着同样的异物 |
[10:50] | So the case had been broken for some time. | 所以那手机壳已经裂了一段时间了 |
[10:52] | Russell was the friend you took to Maui. | 罗素就是你带去毛伊岛的那个朋友 |
[10:54] | You were having an affair. | 你们俩有婚外情 |
[10:55] | And considering your husband has a memento from the trip, | 而鉴于你丈夫还留着旅行的纪念品 |
[10:58] | I’m guessing he doesn’t know. | 我猜他还不知道 |
[10:59] | No, he-he doesn’t. | 对 他不知道 |
[11:01] | And I swear, I had nothing to do with what happened to Russell. | 我发誓 罗素的事和我没关系 |
[11:05] | I’m a wreck about it. | 我非常伤心 |
[11:07] | Right now you’re not a suspect. | 目前你并不是嫌疑人 |
[11:08] | But I need some information from you | 但我需要你提供些信息 |
[11:11] | We’re trying to find out | 我们正在试图找出 |
[11:12] | where Russell had been staying the last few weeks. | 罗素最近几周待在了哪里 |
[11:14] | Police checked his car and his credit cards. | 警察检查了他的车和他的信用卡 |
[11:16] | They’re pretty sure that he didn’t drive too far outside the city. | 他们确定他没有开车出城太远 |
[11:19] | Now, you went all the way to Maui with him. | 你和他去过毛伊岛 |
[11:21] | So I thought maybe he’d taken you to the place | 所以我想也许他带你去过他 |
[11:23] | where he does his deep dives. | 做深挖数据的地方 |
[11:27] | He has a… | 他有一个… |
[11:28] | a cabin near Bear Mountain. | 小屋 在熊山附近 |
[11:31] | It’s about an hour upstate. | 往北部一小时的路程 |
[11:38] | Copious amounts of poison ivy around. | 这周围有大量的毒藤 |
[11:41] | Watch your step. | 看着点路 |
[11:42] | How’d you get here before us? | 你是怎么比我们先到的 |
[11:44] | You’ll recall I know the owner of a helicopter company. | 你应该记得我认识一家直升飞机公司的老板 |
[11:46] | There was one going this way. | 有一架要飞向这边 |
[11:48] | I hitched a ride. | 我就搭了个顺风机 |
[11:49] | – You been inside? – No. | -你进去过了吗 -没有 |
[11:51] | I just got here a short while ago. | 我刚到这里没多久 |
[11:53] | Plenty to keep me occupied out here. | 这里吸引我关注的东西挺多的 |
[11:56] | So, only one vehicle has left recent tire tracks. | 那么 只有一辆车最近留下了轮胎印 |
[11:59] | The tread matches that of Russell Cole’s. | 胎面与罗素·科尔的吻合 |
[12:01] | And, likewise, the only recent footprints are his. | 同样的 最近的足迹也是他的 |
[12:04] | So he was here, and he didn’t have any visitors. | 所以他的确来过这里 并且他没有访客 |
[12:07] | Guess he didn’t like mixing business with pleasure. | 看来他不想把生意和享乐混在一起 |
[12:09] | I mean, besides sleeping with the boss’ wife. | 我是说 除了睡老板的老婆 |
[12:31] | I’m no expert, but this doesn’t look financial. | 我不是专家 但这看起来不是金融资料 |
[12:34] | More like science. | 更像是科学 |
[12:36] | Stuff about masses and radii | 是关于质量和半径 |
[12:39] | and reflection coefficients. | 还有反射系数的 |
[12:41] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[12:43] | These are physics equations. | 这些是物理公式 |
[12:45] | Astronomy, to be exact. | 其实是天文学 |
[12:54] | Okay, so Cole was up here stargazing. | 好吧 所以科尔是来这里看星星的 |
[12:56] | What does any of this have to do with Wall Street? | 这些和华尔街有什么关系 |
[12:59] | That’s difficult to say. | 很难说 |
[13:01] | But I do think I understand what he was killed over. | 但我想我知道他是为什么被杀的了 |
[13:04] | Nothing less than the fate of life on Earth. | 没什么比地球上生命的未来更重要 |
[13:13] | So, all these dots are asteroids? | 所以 这些点都是小行星 |
[13:17] | An approximation of them, yes. | 它们的近似点 没错 |
[13:18] | Not all asteroids in existence, of course. | 当然 不是所有现存的小行星 |
[13:20] | Obviously, there are hundreds of millions of those. | 显然的 它们数以万亿计 |
[13:22] | These are the 5,000 or so | 这里有五千个左右 |
[13:24] | that NASA has deemed potentially hazardous, | 是航天局定性为有危险性的 |
[13:26] | those whose orbits intersect with the Earth’s | 它们的轨道和地球的轨道相交 |
[13:29] | and therefore pose a threat of cataclysmic collision. | 因此有着导致大灾难的可能性 |
[13:32] | Such a collision wiped out the dinosaurs, | 同样的碰撞曾灭绝了恐龙 |
[13:34] | along with most other life at the time. | 以及同时期大部分其他生物 |
[13:36] | Any one of these dots could represent the next such event, | 这里任何一个点都能导致那样的事件 |
[13:39] | which would be the last event in human history. | 也将是人类历史上最后一个事件 |
[13:42] | But there are only 5,000 of them, | 但那里只有五千个 |
[13:44] | so that’s reassuring. | 还挺让人「放心」的 |
[13:46] | Emphasis on “potentially” hazardous. | 重点在于「可能」的大灾难 |
[13:48] | But brace yourself, because that existential knot of terror | 但是坐稳了 因为你肚子里感觉到的 |
[13:51] | you’re feeling in your stomach is about to grow tighter. | 那股存在主义恐惧感将会更加强烈 |
[13:53] | A week ago, Cole submitted a paper to a science blog, | 一星期前 科尔提了篇论文给个科学博客 |
[13:56] | saying that he believed the whole way | 说他相信我们看待 |
[13:58] | we’re looking for asteroids is wrong. | 小行星的方式是错的 |
[14:00] | “Miscalculating Near-Earth Asteroids | 「对近地球小行星的错误计算 |
[14:02] | and the Threat to Human Existence”? | 以及人类灭亡危机」 |
[14:04] | He wrote that scientists have detected thousands of | 他写到科学家在过去几年 |
[14:06] | new asteroids in the last few years. | 发现了上千个新的小行星 |
[14:09] | But according to him, | 但据他说 |
[14:10] | our measurements of their sizes are useless. | 我们对它们大小的测量完全错误 |
[14:12] | And when it comes to protecting the human race | 当涉及到保护人类种族 |
[14:14] | from an extinction-level impact, obviously size matters. | 不被大冲撞毁灭 显然大小很重要 |
[14:17] | It’s not just enough to know that an asteroid is there. | 只知道小行星在那是不够的 |
[14:20] | We need to know which ones are the big ones. | 我们还需要知道哪一个是大个的 |
[14:22] | So that, what, Bruce Willis can go nuke it? | 然后呢 叫布鲁斯·威利斯去炸了吗 |
[14:25] | Surprisingly, yes. We’ve been reading up | 出奇的 没错 我们今天看到了 |
[14:27] | on this stuff today– there are proposals in the works | 这篇文章 有份请求中的提案 |
[14:30] | to send rockets to asteroids, | 想送火箭上小行星 |
[14:32] | to nudge them or even blow them up. | 去推动甚至炸掉它们 |
[14:34] | So was Cole right? | 那科尔说得对吗 |
[14:35] | Are we measuring them wrong? | 测量方法真的不正确吗 |
[14:37] | No idea. | 不知道 |
[14:38] | Do we have any idea why a Wall Street guy | 我们知道这个在华尔街工作的人 |
[14:41] | was studying this stuff in the first place? | 为什么要研究这事吗 |
[14:43] | – We don’t. – So where does all this put us? | -不知道 -那我们现在有什么结论 |
[14:46] | Sounds like you’re not even sure this is what got him killed, | 你们好像都不确定他是因为这事被杀的 |
[14:48] | let alone why. | 更不用说具体原因了 |
[14:50] | The technical minutiae of the paper are beyond my expertise. | 论文里的技术细节超出了我的知识范围 |
[14:53] | I’m at something of a loss. | 我有些看不懂 |
[14:55] | – But…? – Well, there’s an expert | -但是 -有个这方面的专家 |
[14:57] | in the field I consult from time to time. | 我有时会向他请教 |
[14:59] | But doing so is never really my first choice. | 不过这一般不是我的首选项 |
[15:02] | Well, I’m gonna make it easy for you. Do it. | 那我帮你做决定 去找他 |
[15:04] | And not just to solve this murder. | 而且这不光是为了破谋杀案 |
[15:06] | If the world is coming to an end, | 如果世界真要灭亡了 |
[15:09] | I want to know about it. | 我想提前知道 |
[15:12] | 纽约科学中心 朱利斯·肯特 宇宙大使 | |
[15:13] | We scientists estimate that our universe | 科学家估计我们的宇宙 |
[15:15] | is 14 billion years old. | 已经有一百四十亿年了 |
[15:18] | Ever wonder how we know? | 想知道我们是怎么估计的吗 |
[15:20] | Actually, in a number of ways. | 其实 有很多方法 |
[15:22] | One of them is by measuring the radiation that’s left over… | 其中一种方法是测量残余的辐射 |
[15:25] | Julius Kent, Ambassador to the Cosmos. | 朱利斯·肯特 宇宙大使 |
[15:27] | 纽约科学中心 朱利斯·肯特 宇宙大使 | |
[15:27] | – He’s on TV all the time. He’s famous. – Yep. | -他经常上电视 是个名人 -是的 |
[15:29] | Celebrity astronomer. Because apparently the world | 著名的天文学家 因为很显然 |
[15:31] | needs science explained to it with jazz hands. | 人们需要用通俗的话来理解科学 |
[15:35] | We were at boarding school together. | 我们以前是寄宿学校的同学 |
[15:37] | He was every bit the blowhard then that he is now. | 他当时和现在一样很能吹 |
[15:39] | Ten years ago, he helped me time a break-in to coincide | 十年前 他帮我计算了太阳耀斑的时间 |
[15:41] | with a solar flare. | 好让我闯入到一个地方 |
[15:43] | The radio interference enabled me to avoid detection. | 无线电干扰可以使探测器探测不到我 |
[15:45] | – It was good. – So why didn’t you want to call him? | -干得很漂亮 -那你为什么不愿意找他 |
[15:48] | Because every time I ask for his help, he gloats. | 因为每次找他帮忙 他都会沾沾自喜 |
[15:50] | Oh, how did that conversation with Gregson go? | 对了 跟格雷森谈得怎么样 |
[15:52] | – Are we fired again? – The opposite, of sorts. | -我们又被开除了吗 -恰恰相反 |
[15:55] | The Major Case Squad is receiving a commendation, | 重案组要获得嘉奖 |
[15:57] | and he’s lobbying to have us included. | 他在努力把我们也加入到名单中 |
[16:00] | Thanks to our habit of keeping our names out | 由于我们有习惯不把名字留在官方报告中 |
[16:01] | of official reports, or at least minimizing our roles, | 即使有也把我们的贡献说得很小 |
[16:04] | he’s having trouble convincing the honor committee. | 所以他很难说服荣誉委员会的人 |
[16:07] | Well, however it goes down, | 无论结果怎样 |
[16:09] | it’s nice that he’s sticking his neck out for us. | 他愿意替我们出头就很让人感动 |
[16:11] | I’d rather he didn’t. | 我倒是希望他没这么做 |
[16:12] | I eschew such recognition, Watson. You know that. | 你知道我不喜欢这种嘉奖 华生 |
[16:16] | I’ve reminded the captain of such, but he’s persisting. | 我跟警监说了 可他不听 |
[16:18] | – So I initiated other steps. – Other steps? | -所以我就用了其他方法 -其他方法 |
[16:21] | You know what you could do? You could just say thank you, | 你知道还能怎么做吗 你可以说声谢谢就好 |
[16:23] | like a normal human being. | 正常人都会这么做 |
[16:25] | Sherlock. | 夏洛克 |
[16:27] | And this must be Joan. | 这位一定就是乔恩了 |
[16:29] | It’s a pleasure. Sherlock never said | 很荣幸见到你 夏洛克从没说过 |
[16:30] | that you two knew each other. | 你们俩是朋友 |
[16:32] | Yes. I’m not surprised. | 是的 我不感到意外 |
[16:33] | My very existence seems to embarrass him. | 认识我好像让他很掉价似的 |
[16:36] | You know, if it weren’t for me, our friend Sherlock | 要是没有我的话 我们的这位朋友 |
[16:38] | would still think that the Sun revolves around the Earth. | 还以为太阳是绕着地球转呢 |
[16:40] | I was eight when I made that mistake. | 我犯这个错的时候才八岁 |
[16:41] | You chose to wear that vest this morning. | 可你竟然到现在还在穿这种马甲 |
[16:44] | It was a gift from a fan. | 这是粉丝送的 |
[16:46] | How could I resist? | 我怎么能拒绝呢 |
[16:47] | With self-respect. | 你有自尊啊 |
[16:49] | So, Russell Cole and his Asteroid Admonition. | 罗素·科尔和他的小行星警告 |
[16:53] | Sherlock said that you were already aware of his paper? | 夏洛克说你已经看过他的论文了 |
[16:56] | It made quite a splash in my circles. | 在我们的圈子了激起了不小的风波 |
[16:57] | Come, I’ll explain it to you. | 来吧 我解释给你们听 |
[17:00] | In layman’s terms, of course. | 当然了 用大白话 |
[17:08] | So, in a nutshell, | 简单来说 |
[17:10] | asteroids are warmed by the Sun. | 小行星是由太阳提供热量的 |
[17:14] | They’re very hard to see by conventional means, | 用常规方法我们很难观察它们 |
[17:16] | so instead we look for their heat, using infrared. | 所以我们通过红外线来寻找它们的热量 |
[17:19] | And, theoretically, we can tell the difference | 理论上来说 我们可以分辨出 |
[17:21] | between a large warm object and a small one, | 大小不同的热物体 |
[17:24] | i.e., the size of the asteroid. | 也就是小行星的大小 |
[17:26] | Makes sense so far. | 目前还能听懂 |
[17:27] | But according to Russell Cole, | 但是根据罗素·科尔的说法 |
[17:29] | this fails to take into account what the asteroids | 这种方法是无效的 因为没有考虑组成 |
[17:30] | are actually made of. Some are mostly carbon, | 小行星的物质成分 主要是碳 |
[17:33] | others more iron, many even contain platinum and gold. | 还有铁 甚至还含有铂和金 |
[17:36] | Which means that some asteroids have dull, dark surfaces | 也就是说有的小行星外表是暗的 |
[17:40] | and others have light, shiny ones. | 而另一些是亮的 |
[17:43] | And I’m sure even Sherlock can tell us | 我相信就连夏洛克都能 |
[17:45] | the effect that that would have. | 说出这会有什么影响 |
[17:47] | Dark surfaces get hotter than light ones. | 深色的表面会吸收更多的热量 |
[17:49] | Which, if Cole is right, | 所以 如果他是正确的 |
[17:51] | means that we’ve been seeing asteroid sizes all wrong. | 也就意味着我们测量小行星大小的方法全错了 |
[17:54] | Was he right? | 那他正确吗 |
[17:55] | No one knows. | 没人知道 |
[17:57] | Cole was a fine mathematician, | 科尔是个优秀的数学家 |
[17:58] | but astrophysics wasn’t really his field. | 但天体物理学不是他的专业 |
[18:01] | His paper was rife with errors | 他的论文里有很多错误 |
[18:02] | and incomplete work. | 而且有些工作还没完成 |
[18:04] | It’ll take the community months to reach a consensus. | 我们圈子要花几个月的时间才能得出结论 |
[18:06] | I’ll help, of course. | 当然 我会提供帮助 |
[18:08] | The world will sleep easier. | 这世界可以放心点了 |
[18:10] | Cole mentioned in his paper that he was working on a solution. | 科尔在论文里说他正在研究一个解决方案 |
[18:13] | Can you think of anyone who would want to stop him? | 你能想出有什么人想要阻止他吗 |
[18:16] | Well, naturally. Anyone whose livelihood depends on | 很容易啊 那些依靠用现有方法 |
[18:18] | the current methods of determining asteroid size. | 测量小行星大小吃饭的人 |
[18:21] | Because of Cole’s paper, | 因为科尔的论文 |
[18:22] | NASA’s already shelved one proposal. | 美国宇航局已经搁置了一项提案 |
[18:24] | An orbiting infrared telescope called Piazzi. | 一个名为皮亚齐的绕轨道运行的红外线望远镜 |
[18:27] | And much of the equipment would have been bought | 而许多小设备会从 |
[18:28] | from small private companies. | 小型私人公司那里采购 |
[18:30] | Those companies have just lost their prime source of income. | 这些公司会失去他们的主要收入来源 |
[18:33] | Maybe someone associated with them killed Cole in anger. | 可能跟他们有关系的人很生气 杀了科尔 |
[18:36] | So how much money are we talking about? | 这项目会涉及多少钱 |
[18:37] | The total budget for Piazzi? | 皮亚齐项目的总共预算吗 |
[18:40] | Around $500 million. | 大约五亿美元 |
[18:44] | You really thought the Sun revolved around the Earth? | 你以前真的以为太阳绕着地球转吗 |
[18:46] | I was eight. | 我当时才八岁 |
[18:48] | It’s Marcus. | 是马库斯 |
[18:50] | Hey. We’re both here. | 我们都在 |
[18:51] | Just got a message about a call that came in. | 刚看到留言说有一通电话 |
[18:54] | A waitress up in New City recognized Cole on the news. | 新城餐馆的一名女服务生在新闻里认出了科尔 |
[18:56] | Said he was in her diner a bunch of times | 说他在过去的几周 |
[18:58] | over the last few weeks. | 去了她的餐馆几次 |
[19:00] | That’s a long drive from his cabin for coffee, no? | 从他的小屋过去喝咖啡也太远了吧 |
[19:03] | It’s halfway between here and Bear Mountain. | 在这里和熊山的中间 |
[19:04] | Maybe he was meeting someone? | 或许他去见什么人 |
[19:06] | That’s as good a guess as any. | 也只能这么怀疑了 |
[19:07] | All she told the detective who talked to her | 她跟接电话的警探说 |
[19:09] | was she thought Cole behaved strangely. | 她觉得科尔举止很奇怪 |
[19:11] | I figure it’s worth a drive to check it out. | 我觉得有必要开车去看看 |
[19:13] | Watson will join you presently. | 华生马上跟你一起去 |
[19:16] | – Just me? – A waitress who may | -只有我吗 -一个可能看到了 |
[19:18] | have seen Cole leave his cabin for meals– | 科尔离开小屋去吃饭的女服务员 |
[19:19] | both of us checking that out seems a little excessive. | 我俩都去可能有点多余 |
[19:22] | Thanks to Julius, we now have a concrete theory of motive. | 由于朱利斯 我们现在有了确凿的动机 |
[19:24] | A dozen companies lost millions upon the death of Piazzi. | 皮亚齐项目流产导致了很多公司亏损百万 |
[19:28] | One of us should stay behind and start combing through them. | 我们中的一个应该留下来调查这些公司 |
[19:30] | You could work in the car, you know. | 你可以在车里工作的 |
[19:31] | I also have an appointment to keep here in the city. | 我在城里还有件事要办 |
[19:37] | That’s him. | 就是他 |
[19:38] | Came in once every two or three days, | 每两三天就来一次 |
[19:40] | always right between lunch and dinner. | 总在午餐和晚餐之间 |
[19:42] | Did you ever see him meet with anyone while he was here? | 你有见过他在这里见什么人吗 |
[19:44] | He always ate alone, didn’t talk to anyone. | 他总是一个人吃饭 没跟别人说过话 |
[19:46] | When you called, you mentioned some kind of strange behavior. | 你打来的时候说有些奇怪的行为 |
[19:49] | Can you tell us what you meant? | 能说说是什么意思吗 |
[19:50] | It might be nothing. | 可能没什么 |
[19:52] | But I saw he was murdered. | 但我看新闻说他被杀了 |
[19:53] | And you know what the news always says– | 你知道新闻里总说的 |
[19:55] | see something, say something. | 看到任何事都要说 |
[19:57] | He always had a laptop with him, but he never used it in here. | 他总带着电脑 但他在这里从来不用 |
[20:00] | After he’d eat, he’d take it out there to the parking lot. | 他吃完就会拿到停车场里 |
[20:05] | He’d do a little work on it, | 在那里用一会电脑 |
[20:06] | just standing over there, by the wall, | 就站在那墙边 |
[20:09] | and then get in his car and go. | 然后开车离开 |
[20:11] | Customers work in here all the time. We encourage it. | 顾客总在这里工作 我们也很支持 |
[20:14] | Why’d he need to go outside? | 为什么他要走到外面去 |
[20:17] | Maybe Cole was looking for a Wi-Fi signal. | 可能科尔在找无线信号 |
[20:19] | Could have been hacking into a business, | 可能是在黑入某个公司 |
[20:22] | maybe one inside this building. | 可能那栋楼里的一家 |
[20:26] | I don’t think that’s it. | 我觉得不是 |
[20:32] | Is that a thumb drive? | 这是U盘吗 |
[20:34] | Looks like someone drilled a hole | 看上去有人凿了一个洞 |
[20:35] | so they could bury it in the mortar. | 以便他们埋在墙里 |
[20:37] | I think it’s a dead drop. | 我觉得这是个秘密情报传送点 |
[20:40] | I’ve seen it done like this before. It’s so two parties | 我以前看到过 这样双方就能 |
[20:42] | can exchange data without leaving a trail online. | 在网上不留痕迹地交换数据 |
[20:45] | I don’t think Cole was out here looking for a signal. | 科尔应该不是来找信号的 |
[20:46] | I think he was plugging his laptop into that | 他是把电脑插入这里 |
[20:49] | to get information on and off of it. | 上传下载信息 |
[20:52] | I think I’ve got some tools in my car. | 我的车里有工具 |
[20:55] | Thank you for seeing me. | 感谢你来见我 |
[20:57] | Do I address you by the full “Deputy Chief Prosky”? | 我该称你为「普罗斯基副局长」 |
[20:59] | – or just “Chief Prosky”? – Come on. | -还是「普罗斯基局长」 -拜托 |
[21:02] | After all Tommy Gregson has told me about you and your partner, | 听汤米·格雷森说了你和你的搭档的那些事迹 |
[21:05] | you can call me anything you want. | 你怎么称呼我都行 |
[21:08] | What can I do for you? | 我能如何帮你 |
[21:10] | Um, I’d like to talk to you | 我想谈谈 |
[21:11] | about your conversations with Captain Gregson, | 关于你跟格雷森警监之间的谈话 |
[21:13] | and about Medal Day. | 还有表彰日的事 |
[21:15] | – Fire away. – Well, first of all, | -说吧 -首先 |
[21:17] | I would like to say, that, uh, I have the greatest respect | 我想说我对于警方 |
[21:20] | for the men and women in blue, and commendations for service | 有着崇高的敬意 而对其服务的表彰 |
[21:22] | are not something I take lightly. | 我也决不会视同儿戏 |
[21:25] | No argument here. | 无可争议 |
[21:27] | But, um… | 但是 |
[21:28] | …if you don’t mind, Mr. Holmes, uh, | 如果你不介意的话 福尔摩斯先生 |
[21:31] | let me jump in here. | 容我插嘴一句 |
[21:33] | It sounds like you know that | 听起来你知道 |
[21:34] | Tommy has put us in a tough spot. | 汤米让我们处境尴尬 |
[21:37] | Now, under perfect circumstances, | 在正常情况下 |
[21:39] | including you in a Unit Citation would be, uh… | 把你们加入「小组嘉奖」是 |
[21:43] | Well, unorthodox. | 不正规的 |
[21:46] | And on top of that, you and Ms. Watson | 除此之外 你和华生女士 |
[21:49] | have had your share of, uh, controversy, | 还有一些争议 |
[21:52] | to say the least. | 至少这么说 |
[21:54] | The Honor Committee | 然而荣誉委员会 |
[21:55] | is not saying no, yet, | 并不是要拒绝 |
[21:58] | but we may not be able to square it. | 只是我们可能没法表彰你们 |
[22:01] | I think you’ll be relieved by what I have to say. | 你听到我要说的话应该会如释重负的 |
[22:05] | Respectfully, I’d like to bow out of consideration. | 我希望退出你们的考量范围 |
[22:09] | I tried to persuade the captain | 我试图劝服警监 |
[22:10] | to rescind his request, but, uh, to no avail. | 撤销他的请求 但无果 |
[22:12] | So instead, I, um, I’ve compiled a list of technicalities, | 所以我整理了一张细则表 |
[22:17] | which, I think, the department could invoke. | 我觉得警局能加以利用 |
[22:19] | Any one of them | 其中任何一条 |
[22:20] | should compel the captain to withdraw, | 都能逼警监撤回申请 |
[22:22] | whilst keeping me out of it, | 既能让我不用参与其中 |
[22:24] | and allowing you to tell him that you did your best. | 也能让你告诉他你尽力了 |
[22:28] | Uh, boy… | 天啊 |
[22:31] | You and your partner need to get straight what it is you want. | 你和你的搭档得商量好你们到底想怎样 |
[22:35] | I beg your pardon? | 您什么意思 |
[22:36] | Your partner. | 你的搭档 |
[22:37] | She was all for it when she was in here. | 她来这里的时候对此很积极 |
[22:39] | – My partner. – Yeah. | -我的搭档 -没错 |
[22:41] | – Was here. – Yeah. | -她来过这里 -没错 |
[22:46] | This is everything you found on the thumb drive? | 你们在U盘上找到的就是这些了吗 |
[22:49] | These messages, plus multiple drafts of Russell Cole’s paper. | 这些消息 还有多份罗素·科尔论文草稿 |
[22:52] | He didn’t write it by himself, he had a partner who helped. | 他不是自己写的 他有个帮手帮他 |
[22:54] | They went over every detail together, word by word. | 他们逐字逐句商量了所有的细节 |
[22:57] | This partner have a name? | 这个帮手的名字呢 |
[22:59] | They didn’t use names when they communicated, | 他们交流的时候没用名字 |
[23:01] | which makes sense, they were already using a dead drop | 也说得通 他们已经用了情报秘密传递点 |
[23:03] | to keep their partnership a secret. | 来保密他们的合作 |
[23:05] | Here’s what I don’t get. | 我不明白的是 |
[23:07] | You talked to someone who said | 你跟一个说这篇论文 |
[23:08] | that that paper was full of sloppy work. | 漏洞百出的人谈过 |
[23:10] | Now, we find out two people | 而我们现在却发现有两个人 |
[23:11] | went over it with a fine-tooth comb. | 非常仔细地检查过这文章 |
[23:13] | Well, that’s the thing, it looks like | 问题就在这 由此看来 |
[23:15] | all these mistakes were deliberate. | 那些错误都是故意写出来的 |
[23:17] | They wanted it to take months | 他们想让相关领域专家 |
[23:18] | for experts in the field to untangle. | 花费数月时间来解决疑问 |
[23:21] | The paper was designed to kill the Piazzi telescope project. | 这篇文章就是故意写来搞垮皮亚齐观测计划的 |
[23:24] | The one that’s worth half a billion dollars. | 就是那个价值五亿美元的计划 |
[23:27] | Cole’s partner was the instigator. | 科尔的同伙就是背后的煽动者 |
[23:29] | He promised to pay Cole big time for publishing the paper. | 他许诺出大价钱让科尔发表文章 |
[23:32] | But check out the last couple of messages. | 但你看最后几条信息 |
[23:33] | 两倍太多了 但我明白你的意思了 我们可以再商量 你可以回来了 周一晚七点 你公寓 | |
[23:35] | He was upping the price. | 他要加价 |
[23:37] | Cole wanted more money. | 科尔想要更多的钱 |
[23:39] | The partner agreed to talk about it, | 他同伙答应可以商量 |
[23:40] | and told him to come back into the city. | 并让他回到城里来 |
[23:42] | They were gonna meet at Cole’s apartment two nights ago. | 他们打算两天前夜里在科尔的公寓见面 |
[23:45] | The night Cole was murdered. | 就是科尔被杀的那晚 |
[23:47] | We’ve been thinking someone who was hurt | 我们之前以为科尔的文章伤到了什么人 |
[23:49] | by Cole’s paper killed him in anger, | 这个人出于愤怒杀死了科尔 |
[23:50] | but it turns out, he may have been killed | 但由此来看 他可能 |
[23:53] | by whoever hired him to write it. | 死在雇他写文章的人手里 |
[24:02] | Is this how you people conduct your business? | 你们这儿的人都是这么办事的吗 |
[24:05] | You lie to someone who does nothing but cooperate. | 居然骗一个全力配合的人 |
[24:07] | – Lure me here under false pretenses. – We told you | -假借名义把我骗到这里 -我们说的是 |
[24:10] | we had some questions about the case, we’re asking them. | 我们对案子有疑问 我们现在就在提出疑问 |
[24:12] | You didn’t tell me I was a suspect. | 你可没说我是嫌疑人 |
[24:15] | I loved Russell like a brother. | 我把罗素当成兄弟 |
[24:17] | Why would I have killed him? | 我怎么会杀他 |
[24:18] | The paper Cole published was hand-crafted | 科尔发表文章的目的 |
[24:20] | to kill a NASA project. | 是为了搞垮某个宇航局计划 |
[24:22] | It cost multiple private companies millions. | 这会给很多私人企业造成上百万损失 |
[24:24] | We think it was market manipulation. | 我们认为这是市场操控 |
[24:26] | You said yourself how your quants can destroy a company, | 你说过你们的数据分析能搞垮一家公司 |
[24:30] | and you were in the perfect position to conspire with Cole. | 而你所处的位置恰好可以跟科尔共谋 |
[24:32] | Based on our research, the likely target | 根据我们的研究 被攻击目标可能是 |
[24:34] | was a telescope manufacturer named Cygnus Optics. | 一家叫天鹅座光学设备公司的望远镜生产商 |
[24:38] | Their value’s plummeted | 他们的估值 |
[24:39] | as a result of the shelving of the Piazzi project, | 由于皮亚齐观测计划的搁置而下滑 |
[24:42] | creating an ideal investment opportunity. | 从而出现了完美的投资机会 |
[24:44] | One that you have taken advantage of. | 所以你就抓住了这个机会 |
[24:45] | 证监会表格 股权收买证书 | |
[24:47] | Knowing the company to be fundamentally sound, | 你知道这家公司的经济基础稳固 |
[24:48] | you’ll be confident that its value will recover. | 能让你确信它的估值一定会恢复 |
[24:52] | Once the paper was published, | 文章发表后 |
[24:53] | you told Cole to lie low. | 你让科尔低调行事 |
[24:55] | You wanted him to stay in his cabin, | 你希望他待在自己的小屋里 |
[24:57] | supposedly working on a solution, | 找所谓的解决方案 |
[24:58] | so that he would be unavailable | 这样他就不会在危害发生时 |
[24:59] | to answer questions while the damage took hold. | 接受别人的问询了 |
[25:02] | Then Cole got greedy. | 可后来科尔变得贪婪了 |
[25:04] | Asked for a bigger cut. | 想要更多的分成 |
[25:05] | Told him to come back to his apartment, where you killed him. | 你让他回到自己公寓来 在那里杀了他 |
[25:08] | You took his laptop, so no one would find | 你拿走了他的电脑 这样就不会有人发现 |
[25:10] | the messages you’d been trading. | 你们俩之间的通信往来 |
[25:12] | And we figure you would have picked up the thumb drive | 我们觉得你最终也会铲掉 |
[25:14] | in New City eventually, but who knows? | 新城餐馆墙上的闪存口 可谁知道呢 |
[25:15] | It was well hidden. | 它隐藏地那么好 |
[25:17] | Probably, you just figured no one would find it. | 可能你觉得不会被人发现吧 |
[25:20] | You’re right about one thing. | 你们说对了一件事 |
[25:23] | I invested in Cygnus Optics. | 我投资了天鹅座光学设备公司 |
[25:25] | You would have, too, | 都暴跌成那样了 |
[25:26] | after the nosedive it took. | 换你 你也会投资的 |
[25:28] | But I didn’t know anything about Russell writing a phony paper. | 但我完全不知道罗素写假文章的事 |
[25:34] | He was killed on Monday night, right? What time? | 他是周一晚上被杀的吧 几点 |
[25:37] | M.E. puts it between 7:00 and 9:00. | 法医推断在七点至九点之间 |
[25:40] | I had a dinner. | 我当时正在吃晚餐 |
[25:41] | We were going over a new IPO. | 商量新公司首轮公开募股的事 |
[25:42] | A dozen witnesses can put me there. | 十几个人都能帮我证明 |
[25:45] | You don’t believe me | 我说我在意罗素 |
[25:46] | when I say I cared about Russell. | 你们并不相信我 |
[25:49] | You think I only care about money. | 你们觉得我只在乎钱 |
[25:51] | So fine, let’s talk about money. | 那好 我们就来聊聊钱 |
[25:54] | I told you before, he was my golden goose. | 我之前说过 他是我的摇钱树 |
[25:57] | Look at my annual reports over the last eight years. | 你们看看过去八年的年度报告 |
[25:59] | They’re all on file with the SEC. | 在证监会就能查到 |
[26:01] | Count up how much money he was worth to me over time. | 你们就知道他对我来说有多大价值了 |
[26:05] | You said Russell wanted his partner to pay him double? | 你们说罗素想让同伙给他两倍价钱 |
[26:08] | I would have given him ten times what he was asking… 20. | 我愿意出价十倍 二十倍 |
[26:12] | It would have been easy. | 完全不是问题 |
[26:14] | You want to arrest me? Fine. | 你们想逮捕我 好啊 |
[26:16] | But you’re gonna embarrass yourselves. | 但你们最后肯定会自取其辱 |
[26:18] | You’ve got the wrong guy. | 你们抓错人了 |
[26:26] | – Cutting Cole’s boss loose? – For now. | -放走了科尔的老板 -暂时而已 |
[26:28] | We’re not liking him as much as we did an hour ago. | 我们没有一小时前对他那么感兴趣了 |
[26:31] | He gave us an alibi, I’m gonna check it out. | 他提供了不在场证明 我去核实一下 |
[26:33] | Are we still thinking this is all about tanking | 你们现在仍然觉得这事的目的 |
[26:35] | a telescope company? | 是为了搞垮一家天文设备公司吗 |
[26:36] | Cygnus Optics is still our best theory, | 天鹅座光学设备公司仍然是最有可能的原因 |
[26:38] | but if Mitch Barrett didn’t have anything to do with it, | 但如果米其·巴瑞特与此无关 |
[26:40] | we have to find out who else had reason to hurt them. | 我们就要找出其他想要破坏这家公司的人 |
[26:42] | One project’s $500 million loss | 这五亿的损失 |
[26:44] | could be another’s gain. | 可能会落入别人腰包 |
[26:46] | Now, whilst researching the information | 在调查朱利斯·肯特 |
[26:47] | that Julius Kent gave us, | 提供的信息时 |
[26:49] | I identified somebody who could speak to | 我找到了一位 |
[26:51] | all the asteroid-hunting projects | 能对所有在审的小行星探索计划 |
[26:52] | in consideration… | 负责的人… |
[26:54] | Congresswoman Kristen Salazar, | 女议员克莉丝汀·萨拉查 |
[26:55] | from New York’s 31st District. | 纽约第31区的 |
[26:57] | She sits on the House subcommittee | 她是白宫空间和科学基金会的 |
[26:58] | for space and science funding. | 小组成员 |
[27:00] | Turns out she’s in her Manhattan office all this week. | 我发现她这一周都在她曼哈顿的办公室里 |
[27:03] | You’re thinking talk to her, | 你想跟她谈谈 |
[27:04] | see if any other suspects jump out. | 看是否能找到别的嫌疑人 |
[27:07] | When I attempted to contact her | 今天早些时候 |
[27:08] | several times earlier in the day, | 我多次尝试跟她取得联系 |
[27:09] | my calls went unreturned. | 可她却没有回复 |
[27:10] | So I asked Julius to try and leverage his celebrity, | 因此我请朱利斯用他的名人效应试试看 |
[27:13] | see if he could get her attention. | 看能否得到她的注意 |
[27:15] | And she made space in her schedule | 她直接把会面时间安排在了 |
[27:16] | first thing tomorrow. | 明天一早 |
[27:19] | I’m sorry to keep you waiting. | 抱歉让你们久等了 |
[27:20] | I was on a call. | 我刚刚在打电话 |
[27:22] | It’s always a madhouse around here. | 这儿一向乱糟糟的 |
[27:24] | Of course. | 没关系 |
[27:24] | I see you’ve already met my science advisor, Grant, | 看来你们已经见过我的科学顾问了 格兰特 |
[27:27] | which is good because he’s the expert on all this. | 他在这些方面是专家 |
[27:29] | Everyone, please. | 大家请坐 |
[27:31] | I’m sure you heard that we are investigating | 你们应该听说了我们正在调查 |
[27:33] | – the murder of Russell Cole? – Of course. | -罗素·科尔的谋杀案 -当然 |
[27:35] | He wrote the paper that forced us to mothball Piazzi. | 他的文章让我们被迫将皮亚齐束之高阁了 |
[27:39] | It’s simply tragic. | 太不幸了 |
[27:40] | And whether his assertions turn out to be right or wrong, | 无论科尔的断言是对是错 |
[27:42] | clearly Mr. Cole had a singular mind. | 他显然天资过人 |
[27:45] | In ways that you may be unaware. | 你们可能没察觉到 |
[27:47] | We’ve discovered evidence that | 我们有证据证明 |
[27:48] | Mr. Cole undermined Piazzi… intentionally. | 科尔先生是故意暗中破坏皮亚齐的 |
[27:51] | So we’d like to know who profits from his actions. | 所以我们想知道谁能从他的行为中获益 |
[27:56] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[27:57] | Are you saying we were played? | 你是说我们被摆了一道吗 |
[27:59] | In so many words. | 可以这么说 |
[28:00] | The $500 million that would have gone to Piazzi, | 那笔本应属于皮亚齐项目的五亿资金 |
[28:03] | is it going to be allocated to a different project? | 会被重新分配给其他项目吗 |
[28:06] | No, no, the money doesn’t go anywhere, | 不会 那笔钱哪都不会去 |
[28:07] | it just doesn’t get allocated. | 不会被重新分配 |
[28:09] | But I think you’re missing the bigger picture. | 我觉得你们忽略了大局 |
[28:12] | That paper hurt all asteroid-hunting projects equally. | 那篇文章对所有小行星探索项目都造成了冲击 |
[28:15] | Obviously, there are competing projects | 当然 有些竞争项目 |
[28:17] | that would have loved to cut ahead, | 肯定想快人一步 |
[28:19] | but they all rely on the same principles | 但这都是基于同一个前提的 |
[28:21] | that Cole’s paper attacked. | 那就是受到了科尔文章的影响 |
[28:23] | They all failed to take into account | 他们都没有考虑 |
[28:24] | what asteroids are made of. | 小行星的成分 |
[28:26] | According to his paper, everyone is making the same mistake, | 根据他的文章 所有人都在犯同一个错误 |
[28:29] | so all proposed projects are on an indefinite hold. | 因此所有拟定项目都被无限期推迟了 |
[28:33] | I mean, if what you’re saying is true, | 如果你们说的是真的 |
[28:35] | Russell Cole has done something catastrophic. | 罗素·科尔做出的事就是灾难性的 |
[28:38] | Whatever his motives, | 不管他的动机是什么 |
[28:39] | his paper raised real, legitimate questions. | 他的文章提出了真实合理的问题 |
[28:42] | We can’t un-ring that bell now. | 我们现在无法重新启动 |
[28:44] | We’ve gotta let the peer review play out. | 得等同业互查结束 |
[28:46] | And government funding doesn’t come easily, | 政府资金也不是那么容易拿到的 |
[28:49] | especially not for space research. | 尤其是太空研究 |
[28:51] | Even if the experts decide that he was wrong, | 即便专家断定他是错的 |
[28:54] | it could take a decade to get asteroid research back on track. | 要让小行星研究重回正轨也要近十年 |
[29:15] | Contemplating the mysteries of the universe? | 在思索宇宙的种种奥秘吗 |
[29:17] | Just one, actually. | 只是一种奥秘 |
[29:19] | I’ve developed a new theory of the crime, | 我对这个案子有了新的理论 |
[29:21] | which I’m liking more and more. | 而且我越来越喜欢这个理论了 |
[29:29] | Why do you smell like a banana muffin? | 你身上为什么一股香蕉松饼的味道 |
[29:32] | Oh, its a paste of oatmeal, | 燕麦粥糊 |
[29:34] | baking soda, banana peel, and goldenseal root. | 小苏打 香蕉皮还有黄莲根 |
[29:36] | It’s a homemade anti-itch remedy. | 自制止痒药 |
[29:38] | I seem to be developing a rash. | 我好像起疹子了 |
[29:39] | Well, you must have touched some poison ivy | 你在科尔的小屋那边 |
[29:41] | when you were up at Cole’s cabin. | 肯定碰到了什么有毒的常春藤 |
[29:42] | I most certainly did not. | 肯定没有 |
[29:43] | You were walking around outside before we arrived. | 我们到那儿之前你在小屋外面查看来着 |
[29:46] | I’m the foremost expert on poisonous plants | 我应该是你见过的最顶尖的 |
[29:47] | you’ll likely ever meet. | 有毒植物专家 |
[29:48] | I did not touch poison ivy. | 我没有碰毒藤 |
[29:50] | Proof is in the oatmeal. | 燕麦粥作何解释 |
[29:52] | So what’s your theory? | 那你的理论是什么 |
[29:54] | Since leaving Congresswoman Salazar’s office, | 离开萨拉查议员女士的办公室后 |
[29:56] | I’ve been thinking about what she and Mr. Huber told us. | 我一直在想她和胡贝尔先生告诉我们的事 |
[29:59] | That the effect of Cole’s paper | 科尔发表的文章 |
[30:00] | was to delay the hunt for asteroids | 能够将寻找小行星的研究 |
[30:02] | for as much as a decade. | 推迟十年 |
[30:05] | I started wondering if that was the point. | 我开始考虑会不会目的就在于此 |
[30:08] | So you think someone wants us all to be killed | 所以你觉得有人想让我们 |
[30:10] | by a giant rock? | 都被一块大石头杀死吗 |
[30:11] | My theory is much more out there, | 我的理论不止于此 |
[30:13] | so to speak. | 可以这么说 |
[30:15] | I’m all ears. | 洗耳恭听 |
[30:17] | What if what was bad for asteroid hunting | 如果对寻找小行星有害的事 |
[30:20] | was good for asteroid mining? | 对开采小行星有益呢 |
[30:23] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[30:25] | There’s gold in them there rocks, Watson. | 这些石头上有金子 华生 |
[30:27] | Platinum, too. Lots of it. Just as Julius said. | 还有铂金 很多 正如朱利斯所说 |
[30:30] | Yeah, but nobody’s gonna be able to fly a ship | 是的 但在大概2020年之前 |
[30:32] | to an asteroid until sometime in the 2020s. | 没人能把飞船开上小行星 |
[30:35] | A crucial element to my theory. Come on. | 这是我理论的关键部分 过来 |
[30:44] | “Michael Hines, CEO Aurum Aeronautics. | 迈克尔·海恩斯 金航执行总裁 |
[30:47] | Barbara Torrissi, CEO Exterral Dynamics.” | 芭芭拉·托雷西 外部动力执行总裁 |
[30:49] | I thought everyone was hurt equally by Cole’s paper. | 大家被科尔文章影响的程度不是一样的吗 |
[30:52] | I no longer think that’s true. | 我不那么认为了 |
[30:54] | Combined, those four companies | 这四家公司加起来 |
[30:56] | are investing billions towards | 投资了数十亿资金 |
[30:58] | the long-term prospects for asteroid mining. | 在小行星采矿勘察的长期研究上 |
[31:01] | The world’s governments are also investing | 各国政府也在注资 |
[31:03] | in missions to asteroids, | 研究小行星 |
[31:04] | which greatly reduces the cost to those companies. | 这大大降低了这些公司的资金压力 |
[31:07] | Governments, however– | 然而政府 |
[31:09] | they’re driven only by their fear of asteroid impact. | 他们只是出于害怕小行星撞击地球 |
[31:12] | NASA, for example, cares only about saving the human race, | 例如美国宇航局 只关心拯救人类 |
[31:15] | not about mining for rare metals. | 而不是开发稀有金属 |
[31:17] | And the truth is the chances that anything really bad | 事实上 我们目前 |
[31:21] | is going to hit us anytime soon is infinitesimal. | 被撞击的可能性非常小 |
[31:25] | The last extinction-level impact was 66 million years ago. | 上次灭绝级的撞击是在660万年前 |
[31:28] | Even an event that would be locally devastating– | 即便是地区性的毁灭 |
[31:31] | the loss of a city, for example– | 比如一座城市 |
[31:32] | that only comes along every 5,000 years. | 也是5000年一遇 |
[31:34] | Decade here or there, meaningless. | 相比之下 十年毫无意义 |
[31:38] | So you think experts are mapping out asteroids too quickly. | 所以你认为专家们标记小行星的速度太快了 |
[31:40] | If they finish, | 一旦他们完成 |
[31:41] | and it turns out the world is safe for the foreseeable future, | 政府发现在可预见的未来里地球都是安全的 |
[31:44] | the governments will cut off the funding. | 就会中断他们的资金 |
[31:45] | Which gets one or more of these CEO’s | 这就给了这些执行总裁们 |
[31:48] | motive to slow things down. | 推迟研究的动机 |
[31:49] | Cole’s paper creates a fog of uncertainty, | 科尔的文章营造了不确定的气氛 |
[31:52] | humanity’s fear of the unknown is prolonged, | 延长了人类对未知事物的恐惧 |
[31:54] | and they get to ride that rocket of terror | 而他们得以搭乘恐惧的火箭 |
[31:56] | to their gold mine in the sky. | 前往他们天空中的金矿 |
[31:58] | You’re right. | 你说的没错 |
[31:59] | It’s out there. But it makes sense. | 那是在外太空 但确实说得通 |
[32:01] | As long as whoever it is doesn’t mind rolling the dice. | 只要这些人不介意赌一把运气 |
[32:04] | If we’re all wiped out by an asteroid in the next few years, | 如果我们在未来几年都被小行星从地球上抹去 |
[32:06] | they’re gonna feel pretty silly. | 他们肯定会觉得相当可笑 |
[32:08] | I’m certain that they’re certain the odds are in their favor. | 我很确定他们确信这几率对他们有利 |
[32:11] | Oh, speaking of being blindsided, | 说到被蒙蔽 |
[32:12] | I had a meeting with Deputy Chief Prosky yesterday. | 我昨天和普罗斯基副局长见了个面 |
[32:16] | You’ve known about the unit citation for weeks– | 你已经知道这个小组嘉奖的事好几周了 |
[32:18] | why didn’t you say anything? | 你怎么完全没提过 |
[32:19] | Well, because I knew you’d be against it. | 因为我知道你一定会反对 |
[32:21] | So you knew I’d object… | 所以你知道我会反对 |
[32:24] | yet you conspired with the Honor Committee’s inquiry nonetheless. | 但你还是密谋接受了荣誉委员会的询问 |
[32:27] | And this is why I did not bring it up. | 这就是我不跟你说的原因 |
[32:30] | I want to show you something. | 我想给你看点东西 |
[32:38] | I didn’t conspire. | 我并没有密谋 |
[32:39] | The Honor Committee called about a week ago. | 大约一周前荣誉委员会打电话过来 |
[32:40] | You weren’t here. I went to Prosky’s office, | 你当时不在家 我去了普罗斯基的办公室 |
[32:42] | answered some questions. That’s it. | 回答了一些问题 就这样而已 |
[32:44] | What’s this? | 这是什么 |
[32:47] | It’s your one-year sobriety chip. | 这是你的戒毒一年徽章 |
[32:48] | Yeah, and what’s this? | 没错 那这个呢 |
[32:49] | Also my one-year sobriety chip. | 也是我的戒毒一年徽章 |
[32:51] | One is my first one-year chip, | 一个是我第一年的徽章 |
[32:52] | the other is my second one-year chip. | 另一个是我第二年的徽章 |
[32:54] | – So? – So they’re indistinguishable. | -所以呢 -它们没有任何区别 |
[32:57] | These awards, these ribbons, trinkets, | 这些奖项 这些绶带 这些饰品 |
[32:59] | they’re-they’re just symbols; they don’t matter. | 它们只是象征而已 无关紧要 |
[33:02] | Not really. | 没什么重要的 |
[33:04] | The work we do does. | 我们所做的工作 |
[33:05] | The work is all that matters. | 这些工作才是真正重要的 |
[33:08] | If symbols matter so little to you, | 如果这些象征对你来说如此没意义 |
[33:10] | why are you so against accepting a certificate? | 你为什么非要反对接受一份证书呢 |
[33:12] | Captain Gregson wants to do something nice for us. | 格雷森警监想为我们做点什么 |
[33:14] | He’s also our friend. | 他同时也是我们的朋友 |
[33:15] | I appreciate it. | 我很感激 |
[33:16] | I’d like to let him. So where’s the harm? | 我想让他这么做 这有什么不好呢 |
[33:18] | It’s the camel’s nose in the tent, Watson. | 这就好比伸进帐篷里的骆驼鼻子 华生 |
[33:21] | – What? – It’s a slippery slope. | -什么 -就是得寸进尺 |
[33:22] | I saw it during my time at Scotland Yard. | 我在苏格兰场的时候经历过 |
[33:26] | The reason I refused to accept any official police credit | 我拒绝接受任何警方官方嘉奖的原因 |
[33:29] | is that once I allow it, | 就是我一旦允许其发生了 |
[33:30] | there’s no official line as to where it stops. | 这事就没有个头了 |
[33:32] | And then soon I begin to eclipse the whole department. | 接着不久我就会开始让整个警局黯然失色 |
[33:35] | And-and resentment and its inevitable harm | 而由此引发的愤懑及其对合作关系 |
[33:37] | to working relationships quickly follows. | 所带来的不可避免的伤害很快就会接踵而至 |
[33:40] | So you don’t want to accept any credit | 所以你不想接受任何嘉奖 |
[33:43] | because the truth is you deserve too much credit. | 是因为实际上你值得太多赞誉 |
[33:48] | The work we do is too important to jeopardize. | 我们所做的工作太重要了不能被任何因素危及 |
[33:55] | I give up. I’m going to bed. | 我放弃了 我去睡觉了 |
[34:08] | I assume that’s not you bringing me breakfast in bed. | 我想你这不是给我带的枕边早餐 |
[34:11] | I thought you might need some of my remedy– I was wrong. | 我本以为你可能也需要我的配方 我错了 |
[34:15] | So you checked me for poison ivy in my sleep? | 所以我睡觉的时候你给我做了毒藤检测吗 |
[34:18] | That is not creepy. | 还真是一点都不变态呢 |
[34:19] | I had no need to look anywhere other than your arms. | 我并不需要看除你胳膊以外的其他部位 |
[34:21] | You appear to have been unexposed. | 你看起来未接触到毒素 |
[34:22] | My own rash, however, has spread. | 我自己身上的皮疹则扩散了 |
[34:24] | You still sure you didn’t touch any? | 你仍然确定你没碰到任何毒藤吗 |
[34:26] | I am. | 我确定 |
[34:27] | Then how could you have a rash? | 那你怎么会起皮疹的 |
[34:29] | I continued working after you went to bed last night, | 你昨晚睡了之后我继续进行了调查 |
[34:31] | poring over information on the four asteroid mining companies. | 仔细查看了四家小行星采矿公司的资料 |
[34:34] | I believe I’ve not only identified a suspect, | 我相信我不仅确定了一位嫌疑人 |
[34:37] | but also the explanation for my rash. | 而且也找到了我起皮疹的原因 |
[34:40] | I maintain I did not come into contact with poison ivy– | 我坚持认为我没有接触过毒藤 |
[34:42] | but you and I have come into contact with Russell Cole’s killer. | 但你和我已经见过杀害罗素·科尔的凶手了 |
[34:59] | Marcus just called. | 马库斯刚打电话来了 |
[35:01] | The police got permission to go ahead. | 警方已经获准进行搜查 |
[35:02] | So we should head out soon. | 所以我们也该快点出发了 |
[35:07] | I also heard from the deputy chief’s office. | 我还收到了副局长办公室的消息 |
[35:10] | They’re including us in Medal Day. | 他们把我们加入表彰日名单了 |
[35:15] | The captain is gonna go on behalf of the squad, | 警监将代表整个小队参加典礼 |
[35:17] | and then he’s gonna bring back the certificates | 然后他会把荣誉证书带回局里 |
[35:20] | to hand out at the station. | 进行分发 |
[35:23] | What would you do, Watson, | 你会怎么做 华生 |
[35:24] | if you knew the world was ending in, say, | 如果你知道世界末日即将在 比如说 |
[35:26] | one month’s time? | 一个月内来临 |
[35:29] | Indulge me. | 说来听听 |
[35:30] | An asteroid 20 miles wide | 假设一颗直径32公里的小行星 |
[35:31] | is hurtling towards us as we speak. | 在我们说话这会正朝我们飞来 |
[35:34] | You made your point last night, okay? | 你昨晚已经表明了你的观点 好吗 |
[35:36] | We would both continue doing our jobs to the very end. | 我们会一直工作到最后一刻 |
[35:38] | The work we do is important. | 我们做的工作很重要 |
[35:40] | I think I could have done a better job | 我觉得我本该更好地解释 |
[35:41] | explaining why it’s important. | 这为什么很重要 |
[35:44] | At least explaining why it’s important… to me. | 至少向我自己解释这为什么很重要 |
[35:50] | When you and I first started… | 我俩当初刚开始合作的时候 |
[35:53] | I quickly recognized your merits, | 我很快就发现了你的优点 |
[35:54] | both as a detective in your own right… | 不仅是作为一位天生的侦探 |
[35:58] | and in that you facilitated my own process. | 还有你对我工作过程的助益 |
[36:02] | I’m better at the work I do because of you. | 我因你的存在而得以更好地工作 |
[36:08] | But over the years… | 但这么多年来 |
[36:09] | the relative importance of those two values has flipped. | 这两点价值相对的重要性翻转了 |
[36:14] | I now value the work that we do, first and foremost, | 我现在首要珍视的是我们所做的工作 |
[36:17] | because I do it with you. | 因为这些工作是我们一起完成的 |
[36:24] | So if at times I seem overprotective | 所以如果有时候我过于保护 |
[36:26] | of the system that we’ve built, | 我们所建立的这个合作体系 |
[36:28] | if I worry that the resentments of others might disrupt it… | 如果我担心其他人的愤懑可能会对其产生影响 |
[36:33] | I have good reason. | 我是有充分理由的 |
[36:38] | Those chips you showed me last night… | 你昨晚给我看的那些徽章 |
[36:42] | you don’t accept them for yourself. | 你并不是为了你自己而接受的 |
[36:44] | You accept them because you’re part of a group. | 你接受它们是因为你是一个团体中的一员 |
[36:46] | You accept them because… | 你接受它们是因为 |
[36:49] | the work you did to stand up at a meeting inspires others. | 你在互助会上所做的一切鼓舞了其他人 |
[36:55] | It’s bigger than you. | 这远比你个人重要 |
[36:56] | Or us. | 或者我们 |
[37:01] | So you show up. | 所以你在颁奖现场出现了 |
[37:06] | I’m gonna go get ready. | 我去准备一下 |
[37:21] | Hello? | 有人在吗 |
[37:22] | Mr. Huber. | 胡贝尔先生 |
[37:23] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢你过来 |
[37:25] | Mr. Holmes, Miss Watson. | 福尔摩斯先生 华生女士 |
[37:27] | I got a call from Julius Kent. | 我接到了朱利斯·肯特的电话 |
[37:28] | Are you meeting him here, too? | 你们也是来这里见他的吗 |
[37:29] | We asked Julius to invite you here. | 是我们让朱利斯邀请你来的 |
[37:31] | We’d seen how much influence he has, | 我们已经见识了他的影响力 |
[37:32] | so we knew you’d come. | 所以我们知道你一定会来 |
[37:34] | It’s so police could search your office, | 这样警方就能去搜查你的办公室了 |
[37:36] | with Congresswoman Salazar’s permission, of course. | 当然 是议员女士萨拉查批准的 |
[37:39] | Why do the police want to search my office? | 警察为什么要搜查我的办公室 |
[37:41] | Why not just ask? I’d have let them. | 怎么不直接跟我说 我会同意的 |
[37:43] | You’re confident you have nothing to fear because you think | 你很自信 觉得没什么可怕的 |
[37:45] | there’s no evidence there of you having murdered Russell Cole. | 因为你觉得没有证据能证明你杀了罗素·科尔 |
[37:48] | You are wrong. | 你错了 |
[37:50] | You think I killed Russell Cole? | 你们觉得我杀了罗素·科尔 |
[37:52] | We do. | 是的 |
[37:53] | After the two of you wrote that paper together. | 就在你们一起写了那篇文章后 |
[37:58] | That makes no sense. | 简直胡扯 |
[37:58] | What possible reason would I have | 我有什么理由 |
[38:00] | to sabotage the funding I helped get? | 要破坏我帮忙一起赚来的资金 |
[38:02] | You’re referring to the funding for asteroid hunting. | 你说的是探索小行星的资金 |
[38:05] | As it happens, we’ve shifted our focus | 然而 我们把注意力 |
[38:06] | more towards asteroid mining. | 更多地转向了开采小行星 |
[38:08] | While looking into the companies involved in that, | 在调查涉事公司的时候 |
[38:10] | a familiar name kept recurring. | 一个熟悉的名字一直跳出来 |
[38:12] | Prior to your current job with Ms. Salazar, | 在你跟着萨拉查女士开始现在这份工作前 |
[38:14] | you were a lobbyist with deep ties to those companies. | 你是个与那些公司有着深厚联系的说客 |
[38:17] | We believe it was in that capacity | 我们相信就是在那时候 |
[38:19] | that you first met Mr. Cole. | 你第一次见到了科尔先生 |
[38:22] | He conducted an analysis of one of your clients. | 他对你的一名客户做了分析 |
[38:24] | His calendar showed a number of dinner dates | 他的日程表显示你们曾多次 |
[38:26] | between the two of you. | 共进晚餐 |
[38:27] | You also helped get legislation passed | 你还帮忙通过了立法 |
[38:29] | giving those companies the right to mine asteroids. | 让那些公司有权去开采小行星 |
[38:32] | And based on your social media photos, | 据你的社交媒体照片显示 |
[38:34] | you spend way too much money for a public servant. | 你为一名公务员花了大把的钱 |
[38:37] | Which indicates that your former employers are paying you | 这表明你的前雇主在花钱让你 |
[38:39] | to make sure that government decisions go their way. | 确保政府决策会按照他的意思来 |
[38:42] | And most recently, that included you | 而最近 要确保如此就包括了 |
[38:45] | killing Russell Cole. | 得杀死罗素·科尔 |
[38:48] | You people are crazy. | 你们都疯了 |
[38:50] | Do you have even a shred of proof to support any of this? | 你们有哪怕一丝证据能证明这些吗 |
[38:54] | That brings us to the search currently underway at your office. | 所以才有了现在正在进行的对你办公室的搜查 |
[38:56] | At some point after the crime, | 犯罪后的某个时间 |
[38:58] | you brought Russell Cole’s laptop there. | 你把罗素·科尔的笔记本电脑带了过去 |
[39:01] | The case was covered in urushiol. | 外壳上沾了漆酚 |
[39:03] | It’s the oil which comes from poison ivy leaves. | 是来自有毒的常春藤叶中的一种油 |
[39:06] | You’d be surprised at how easily that oil transfers | 你绝对想不到那种油从一个地方 |
[39:08] | from one surface to another. | 沾到另一个地方有多容易 |
[39:09] | For example, you put the case on your couch. | 比如 你把电脑放在了你的沙发上 |
[39:11] | I sat there, and my skin reacted to the toxins. | 我坐了沙发 我的皮肤就有了中毒反应 |
[39:15] | I… I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[39:17] | I don’t have poison ivy. | 我没有有毒的常春藤 |
[39:19] | Assuming that’s true, | 假设是真的 |
[39:20] | it is possible that you are in the 20% of people | 有可能你属于那20% |
[39:23] | who are not sensitive to it. | 对它不敏感的人群 |
[39:24] | Either way, police are taking your couch to the lab | 不管怎样 警方正把你的沙发送去实验室 |
[39:27] | to collect oil samples. | 采集油渍样本 |
[39:28] | They’re also showing your photograph | 他们还会拿着你的照片 |
[39:30] | around a diner in New City. | 去新城的一家餐厅找目击证人 |
[39:32] | I think it’s only a matter of time before you’re recognized. | 我觉得你被认出来只是时间问题 |
[39:35] | If you want to cooperate, | 如果你想合作 |
[39:36] | and share the names of the people who hired you | 并说出雇你去勾结科尔的人的名字 |
[39:38] | to conspire with Cole, now is your chance. | 现在就是你的机会 |
[39:41] | In case you’re wondering, | 以防你不知道 |
[39:42] | urushiol contains DNA. | 漆酚里会有DNA |
[39:44] | So a definitive match between the oil on your couch | 所以要确认你沙发上的油 |
[39:46] | and the plants at Cole’s cabin | 和科尔的小屋那边的植物绝对吻合 |
[39:48] | will be attainable. | 是完全可行的 |
[39:49] | I should say, might be. | 应该说是有可能 |
[39:51] | I’m not sure of the odds, but… | 我不知道概率有多大 不过 |
[39:53] | I think they’re better than an asteroid showing up | 我觉得会比小行星出现 |
[39:55] | to put you out of your misery. | 将你拉出困局的可能性大 |
[40:07] | I’ve been a cop more than 30 years now. | 我当警察三十多年了 |
[40:10] | I’ve seen this city go through its share of ups and down. | 我目睹过这个城市的起起落落 |
[40:14] | Crime rates rise and fall. | 犯罪率起起伏伏 |
[40:17] | People get along or they don’t. | 人际关系时好时坏 |
[40:19] | These days, you watch the news and it can feel like | 近来 你看新闻的时候就会觉得 |
[40:22] | everything’s falling apart. | 一切都在分崩离析 |
[40:25] | And I don’t mean just here. | 我说的不只是这里 |
[40:27] | Bad stuff happening all over– | 到处都在发生不好的事 |
[40:30] | cops getting killed. | 时常有警察被杀 |
[40:33] | Makes it tough some mornings to want to get out of bed. | 有时候早上起床都会是种挣扎 |
[40:36] | Not that the bad guys will ever take a day off. | 然而坏人却没有休息的时候 |
[40:40] | Now I don’t say all this to bring everybody down, | 我说这些不是想让大家觉得丧气 |
[40:42] | I say all this because I want you to know | 我说这些是想让你们知道 |
[40:45] | what gets me out of bed in the morning. | 是什么让我早上有起床的动力 |
[40:48] | What gets me back here, at work, | 是什么让我每天回来这里 |
[40:51] | doing the job, every day. | 做我的工作 |
[40:55] | You guys do. | 是你们 |
[40:58] | All of you. | 你们所有人 |
[41:00] | This squad is the finest group of men and women | 这个小队的成员都是人中龙凤 |
[41:04] | I’ve ever had the honor to serve with. | 我无比有幸才能跟你们共事 |
[41:06] | And that’s not just a line. | 这不只是恭维 |
[41:09] | It’s what our clearance rate says. | 而是我们的破案率显示的结果 |
[41:12] | That’s why it was important for me | 所以你们今天能受到认可 |
[41:15] | that you all got recognized today. | 对我来说非常重要 |
[41:17] | Because the extraordinary work you do, | 因为你们所做的无与伦比的工作 |
[41:20] | day in, day out, it… | 日复一日 |
[41:24] | it amazes me. | 让我钦佩 |
[41:26] | This team, this family– | 这个团队 这个大家庭 |
[41:31] | you guys are what keep me going. | 你们是我前进的动力 |
[41:34] | So, do me a favor, would you? | 所以 帮我个忙好吗 |
[41:36] | Give yourselves a hand? | 给你们自己鼓掌喝彩吧 |