英文名称:My Salinger Year
年代:2020
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:51] | I grew up in a quiet suburban town, | 我出生在一个安静的小乡村, |
[00:53] | just north of New York. | 就在纽约北部。 |
[00:55] | On special occasions, my dad would take me into the city, | 在特殊场合,我爸会带我去城里, |
[00:58] | and we would go and get dessert at the Waldorf or the Plaza. | 我们会去华尔道夫酒店或广场酒店吃甜点。 |
[01:02] | I loved watching the people around us. | 我喜欢看我们周围的人。 |
[01:05] | They seemed to have interesting lives. | 他们的生活似乎很有趣。 |
[01:07] | I wanted to be one of them. | 我想成为他们中的一员。 |
[01:09] | I wanted to write novels | 我想写小说 |
[01:11] | and speak 5 languages and travel. | 会说5种语言,还能旅游。 |
[01:15] | I didn’t want to be ordinary. | 我不想做一个普通人。 |
[01:19] | I wanted to be extraordinary. | 我想要与众不同。 |
[01:24] | Those memories came storming back to me last year | 那些记忆在去年强烈地回到我的脑海里 |
[01:27] | when I came to visit my best friend in New York. | 当我来纽约拜访我最好的朋友的时候 |
[01:30] | I was only supposed to stay a few days, | 我本来计划在这里就待几天, |
[01:32] | and then return to Berkeley, | 然后返回伯克利, |
[01:34] | where my boyfriend was waiting on me. | 那是我男朋友希望我去的地方。 |
[01:39] | But something shifted. | 但有些事情发生了变化。 |
[01:42] | I want to stay in New York for a while. | 我想在纽约待一段时间。 |
[01:44] | A while? What do you mean, a while? | 一段时间?你指的一段时间是什么? |
[01:47] | What about your semester? | 那你这学期的学习呢? |
[01:48] | Yeah, but see, that’s just it. | 是的,但你看,就是这样。 |
[01:49] | I don’t want to analyze other people’s work anymore, Karl. | 我不想再分析别人的作品了,卡尔。 |
[01:52] | I want to write. | 我想写作。 |
[01:53] | In New York? | 在纽约? |
[01:54] | Yeah. | 是的。 |
[01:58] | In New York… | 在纽约…… |
[02:01] | Isn’t that what aspiring writers did? | 有抱负的作家不就是这么做的吗? |
[02:03] | Live in cheap apartments and write in cafés? | 住在便宜的公寓里,在咖啡馆里写作? |
[02:07] | Yeah, I know. | 是的,我知道。 |
[02:09] | But it’s what I wanted! | 但这正是我想要的! |
[02:45] | My boss says we’re going paperless. | 我老板说我们要实现无纸化了。 |
[02:48] | – All emails. – Hmm. | — 所有的邮件。— 嗯。 |
[02:49] | It’s driving me nuts, with everyone writing about nothing, | 我快疯了,每个人都在写什么, |
[02:53] | answering, “Thanks,” or worse, “You’re welcome.” | 回答“谢谢”,或者更糟,“不客气”。 |
[02:56] | My colleague sends me emails to ask me when I’m having lunch. | 我的同事给我发邮件问我什么时候吃午饭。 |
[03:00] | I hope this is just a trend that will phase out. | 我希望这只是一种逐渐消失的趋势。 |
[03:03] | I miss your rants. | 我想念你的咆哮。 |
[03:06] | Everyone in Berkeley is so serious | 伯克利的每个人都很严肃 |
[03:07] | and into jogging and wearing Tevas. | 喜欢慢跑,穿Tevas(休闲鞋品牌)。 |
[03:10] | Fucking Tevas! | 去他的Tevas ! |
[03:12] | I’m like this big cloud of East Coast irony | 我就像一大片东海岸的云团 |
[03:15] | haunting Southern California. | 萦绕着南加州。 |
[03:16] | Hmm, turning everything into ash. | 把一切都化为灰烬。 |
[03:20] | – That’s me. – Mmm! | —这就是我。—嗯! |
[03:22] | Does Karl feel the same? | 卡尔也有同感吗? |
[03:27] | Um, it’s not really the same for him, | 对他来说就不一样了, |
[03:29] | cause he’s been there for a couple years, | 因为他已经在那待了几年了, |
[03:32] | and the university sort of treats him like a star. | 学校把他当明星一样对待。 |
[03:35] | Oh, well… | 哦,好吧…… |
[03:37] | Hey, Jenny, um… | 嘿,珍妮,嗯…… |
[03:40] | I don’t know exactly how long | 我不知道具体要多久 |
[03:42] | I’m gonna be staying in New York. | 我会待在纽约。 |
[03:44] | Don’t worry! Just keep making yourself at home. | 别担心!你就当自己家好了。 |
[03:48] | Eat anything. | 东西随便吃。 |
[03:50] | OK. | 好的。 |
[04:01] | MA in English literature, University College in London. | 伦敦大学学院英国文学硕士。 |
[04:05] | I suppose that would make you more appealing | 我想那样会让你更有吸引力 |
[04:07] | to some publishers, | 对一些出版商而言, |
[04:09] | less to most. | 最好就是简单点。 |
[04:12] | You published poetry? | 你发表的诗歌吗? |
[04:15] | Yes, yes, in The Paris Review. | 是的,是的,在巴黎诗会。 |
[04:17] | I just won their student contest. | 我刚赢了他们的学生比赛。 |
[04:19] | Leave that out. | 算了吧。 |
[04:21] | Publishers avoid wannabe writers. | 出版商会避免想成为作家的人。 |
[04:23] | Oh. That is what I wa-want to do, though. | 哦。可这正是我想做的。 |
[04:27] | Event-eventually. | 最终目的。 |
[04:28] | Oh! I got it! Not a publisher. | 哦!我理解了!那别考虑出版商了。 |
[04:32] | How about a literary agency? | 做个文学代理怎么样? |
[04:37] | Yeah, great! | 是的,太棒了! |
[04:38] | The oldest in New York. | 纽约最老的职业之一。 |
[04:40] | Do you type? | 你会打字吗? |
[04:41] | Uh, I took typing in, um, 7th grade. | 我七年级时学过打字。 |
[04:43] | Of course you don’t type. | 你当然不会打字。 |
[04:45] | She’s gonna ask if you type, and you’re gonna say… | 她会问你是否打字,你会说…… |
[04:49] | Yes! | 是的! |
[04:51] | Sixty words a minute. | 一分钟60个字。 |
[04:59] | But do you type on a typewriter? | 但你用打字机打字吗? |
[05:03] | It’s very different from typing on one of those computers. | 这和在那些电脑上打字很不一样。 |
[05:07] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[05:10] | What do you like to read? | 你喜欢读什么书? |
[05:16] | Everything. | 一切。 |
[05:18] | Uh, Lurie, Hammet, Donald Westlake. | 卢瑞,汉密特,唐纳德·韦斯特莱克 |
[05:21] | Hmm… | 嗯…… |
[05:23] | I just finished A Sentimental Education, | 我刚读完《情感教育》, |
[05:25] | and I loved it. | 我很喜欢。 |
[05:26] | It was so contemporary. I was amazed. | 它是如此的现代。我很惊讶。 |
[05:28] | Gustave Flaubert… | 古斯塔夫·福楼拜……(法国现实主义文学大师) |
[05:29] | Oui, c’est très bien, ma chère, | 是的,是très bien, ma chère, |
[05:30] | but to be in this field, | 但在这个领域, |
[05:32] | you’ll need to read authors who are alive. | 你需要阅读那些还活着的作家。 |
[05:34] | Mmm… I love Flaubert! | 嗯……我爱福楼拜! |
[05:37] | I like Westlake. He’s funny. | 我喜欢西湖。他很有趣。 |
[05:42] | I guess you can start after Christmas. | 我想你可以在圣诞节后开始。 |
[05:45] | We’ll talk about Jerry then. | 我们到时再谈杰瑞。 |
[05:46] | Ah, Jerry! | 啊,杰瑞! |
[05:48] | I’m sure you’ve heard that he’s crazy or senile | 你肯定听说过他要么疯了,要么老了 |
[05:51] | or a misanthrope. | 或愤世嫉俗者。 |
[05:52] | All lies. He’s not the problem. | 所有的谎言。他不是问题所在。 |
[05:54] | It’s these people who relentlessly call | 就是这些人不停地打电话 |
[05:57] | for his address, his phone number, | 他的地址,电话号码, |
[05:59] | asking to be put in touch with him, or even with me! | 要求和他联系,甚至和我联系! |
[06:03] | Reporters, students, university deans, producers. | 记者,学生,大学院长,制片人。 |
[06:07] | They can be persuasive, manipulative. | 他们可能很有说服力,很有控制欲。 |
[06:10] | But, you must never, ever | 但是,你永远不能 |
[06:14] | give out his address. | 把他的地址给别人。 |
[06:16] | Do you understand? | 你明白吗? |
[06:18] | I understand. | 我明白了。 |
[06:20] | Good. | 好。 |
[06:21] | Remember, there’s no shortage of college graduates | 记住,大学毕业生并不短缺 |
[06:25] | who want this job. | 想要这份工作的人。 |
[06:29] | Be prepared for long hours. | 做好长时间工作的准备。 |
[06:32] | Pam will give you a key. | 帕姆会给你钥匙的。 |
[06:34] | Pam. OK. | 帕姆。好的。 |
[06:36] | Thank you so much. | 非常感谢。 |
[06:37] | I can’t tell you how honored and thrilled I am. | 我无法表达我有多荣幸和激动。 |
[06:40] | No need to be honored. | 没必要受宠若惊。 |
[06:42] | Thrilled, maybe. Margaret is pretty thrilling. | 激动,也许。玛格丽特很令人兴奋。 |
[06:48] | I’m Daniel, by the way. | 对了,我叫丹尼尔。 |
[06:58] | She’ll be starting after the holidays, January. | 她会在假期后,一月开始工作。 |
[07:03] | That Jerry! | 杰里! |
[07:07] | Ah… | 啊…… |
[07:10] | I didn’t know yet what a literary agency was, | 我还不知道什么是文学代理, |
[07:13] | but felt like I’d stepped closer | 但我感觉,可以进一步地了解 |
[07:17] | to the world of writers. | 那些世界闻名的作家了。 |
[07:19] | I was to be surrounded by godlike literary names. | 我将被那些美妙的文学名字所环绕。 |
[07:24] | No doubt, their proximity would inspire my own writing. | 毫无疑问,接触他们会激发我写作的灵感。 |
[07:34] | Well, congratulations on your new job. | 恭喜你找到了新工作。 |
[07:38] | Here is your key. | 这是您的钥匙。 |
[07:41] | Do not lose it. | 不要失了。 |
[07:42] | We will expect you at 8:00 a.m. sharp, January 8. | 我们期待你在1月8日早上8点准时到场。 |
[07:50] | I never went back to Berkeley. | 我再也不回伯克利了。 |
[07:52] | New York was to be my new home, writing, my new life, | 纽约将是我的新家、写作就是我的新生活, |
[07:55] | with a coveted job to pay the rent. | 令人垂涎的工作完全可以支付租金。 |
[07:57] | – Hi! – Hey! | —你好!—嘿! |
[07:59] | Um… Hey! Come, come, come join us. | 嗯……嘿!来,来,加入我们。 |
[08:02] | – Hi! – Hi, hi, Mark. | —你好!— 嗨,嗨,马克。 |
[08:03] | – Everyone, this is Joanna. – I’m Joanna. Yeah, hi! | —各位,这是乔安娜。—我是乔安娜。是的,你好! |
[08:06] | And this is Mark. This is Lisa. | 这位是马克。这是丽莎。 |
[08:07] | They, uh, they just got engaged | 他们,他们刚刚订婚了 |
[08:09] | so, uh, we’re celebrating. | 所以,我们要庆祝一下。 |
[08:11] | Oh, wow! Oh my goodness! | 哦,哇!哦我的天哪! |
[08:12] | Congratulations! | 恭喜你! |
[08:13] | It’s fake. | 这是假的。 |
[08:14] | Sit… sit… sit down. | 坐……坐……坐下来。 |
[08:16] | The office is incredible. | 办公室真是太棒了。 |
[08:19] | It’s like nothing’s changed since 1927. | 自1927年以来,一切都没变过。 |
[08:22] | And, um, guess who my boss represents. | 猜猜我老板代表的是谁。 |
[08:25] | – Anne Rice? – The Pope. | —安妮·赖斯?—教皇。 |
[08:26] | – Thomas Pynchon. – J.D. Salinger. | —托马斯·品钦。—J.D.塞林格。 |
[08:29] | – No way! – He’s still alive? | —没门!—他还活着? |
[08:31] | Yeah, he is. | 是的,他是。 |
[08:32] | He lives up in New Hampshire, in basically total isolation. | 他住在新罕布什尔州,基本上完全与世隔绝。 |
[08:35] | Reporters are always trying to ambush him in the local diner | 记者们总是想在当地的餐馆里偶遇他 |
[08:38] | or try to sneak onto his property. | 或者偷偷溜进他的房子。 |
[08:40] | I love Catcher in the Rye. | 我喜欢《麦田里的守望者》 |
[08:41] | Franny and Zooey is my favorite. | 《弗兰妮与佐伊》是我的最爱。 |
[08:42] | My friend Kat used to work at his publisher’s. | 我朋友凯特以前在他的出版社工作。 |
[08:45] | And, one night, she was working late, | 有天晚上,她工作到很晚, |
[08:47] | like, 1:00 a.m. late, | 比如,凌晨一点, |
[08:49] | and the phone rings in the office and keeps ringing. | 办公室里的电话响个不停。 |
[08:52] | So she picks it up, | 于是她拿起来, |
[08:53] | and she heard someone screaming. | 她听到有人在尖叫。 |
[08:55] | The manuscript is OK! | 手稿是安全了! |
[08:57] | I saved the manuscript from the fire! | 我把手稿从火里救了出来! |
[09:01] | Salinger? | 塞林格吗? |
[09:02] | His house had burned down, | 他的房子被烧毁了, |
[09:05] | and he called in the middle of the night, | 他在半夜给我打电话, |
[09:07] | assuming someone would be at the office. | 假设有人在办公室。 |
[09:09] | Isn’t that crazy? | 这不是疯了吗? |
[09:10] | I read he still writes, but doesn’t want to publish. | 我读到他还在写作,但不想出版。 |
[09:13] | Writing makes you a writer. | 写作使你成为作家。 |
[09:14] | Publishing is commerce. | 出版是商务。 |
[09:16] | That is such a crock of shit, Don! | 这简直是一派胡言,唐! |
[09:18] | This is some pre-emptive strike argument | 这是一种先发制人的论调 |
[09:20] | in case he never sells a novel, | 万一他从来没卖过小说, |
[09:22] | if you ever finish. | 如果你能完成。 |
[09:23] | I will, but today is about Joanna | 我会的,但今天是乔安娜的事 |
[09:26] | and her crossing to the dark side | 以及她如何走向黑暗 |
[09:27] | with the book merchants. | 和书商在一起。 |
[09:28] | – Cheers! – Cheers! | —干杯! —干杯! |
[09:30] | Thanks! | 谢谢! |
[09:32] | I had met Don days earlier | 我碰到唐是在不久以前 |
[09:33] | in a socialist bookstore where he worked part time. | 他在一家社会主义书店兼职 |
[09:38] | Haven’t seen you around here before. | 以前在这儿没见过你。 |
[09:40] | Let me guess. | 让我猜一猜。 |
[09:41] | You’re an intern at The New Yorker? | 你是《纽约客》的实习生吗? |
[09:44] | Besides fighting materialism and raising class awareness, | 除了反对物质主义和提高阶级意识之外 |
[09:48] | Don amuse boxing, Norman Mailer and… | 唐喜欢拳击,诺曼·梅勒,还有 |
[09:51] | Yeah, I’m writing a novel. | 是的,我在写小说。 |
[09:52] | He was straightforward about being a writer. | 他一直向往成为一个作家。 |
[09:55] | I admired his confidence. | 我钦佩他的信心。 |
[09:57] | Do you know the Panama Café? | 你知道巴拿马咖啡馆吗? |
[09:59] | It’s on Avenue A. It’s kind of like a writers’ hangout. | 它在A大道,有点像作家的聚集地。 |
[10:02] | I do, actually, yeah, they have… | 我有,事实上,他们有…… |
[10:04] | Poetry readings. | 诗歌朗诵。 |
[10:07] | Love is the one who’s hard to find. | 爱,就是那个很难找到的人。 |
[10:09] | Love’s the one who knows your mind. | 爱是那个懂你心思的人。 |
[10:12] | Love’s the one who feeds your soul. | 爱是滋养你灵魂的人。 |
[10:14] | Love’s the one to have and hold. | 爱是拥有和不放手的人。 |
[10:17] | But hold a minute. Hold how? | 但是等一下。持有如何? |
[10:19] | There’s a hundred hungry ways to hold her up or hold her down. | 有上百种方法可以把她扶起来或压下去。 |
[10:23] | Will she still be able to get around? | 她还能四处走动吗? |
[10:25] | Will she be able to hold her ground? | 她能坚持自己的立场吗? |
[10:29] | So she digs down deep to the bottom of the box | 于是她一直挖到箱子的底部 |
[10:32] | to find the original hide of the fox. | 寻找狐狸的原始皮。 |
[10:34] | And it’s there, all right. | 它就在那里。 |
[10:36] | Where the hell were you? | 你到底去哪了? |
[10:38] | Cut the goddamn grass today, | 今天割下该死的草, |
[10:39] | or else I’m selling your K-car, you hear? | 不然我就把你的车卖了,听见了吗? |
[10:51] | Dear Mr. Salinger, | 亲爱的塞林格, |
[10:54] | I read your book The Catcher In the Rye | 我读了你的书《麦田里的守望者》 |
[10:56] | 3 times now. | 3次。 |
[10:57] | It’s a masterpiece, and I hope you’re proud of it. | 这是一部杰作,我相信你一定引以为豪。 |
[11:00] | I mean, you certainly should be. | 我的意思是,你肯定是的。 |
[11:04] | Most of the crap that’s written today | 大多数今天写的废话 |
[11:06] | is so uncompelling, it makes me sick. | 非常隐晦,也让我不舒服。 |
[11:08] | I mean, not too many people write anything | 我的意思是,没有多少人写东西 |
[11:10] | that even approaches sincerity. | 是完全出于真心的。 |
[11:11] | And I don’t mean to say | ,我不是说 |
[11:12] | that everyone who reads your book gets it, | 每个人读你的书可以理解, |
[11:15] | not at all. | 至少是, |
[11:16] | Lots of people don’t. | 大部分的人 |
[11:19] | I mean, I can give you plenty of idiotic examples, | 我是说,我可以给你很多愚蠢的例子, |
[11:21] | but I won’t. | 但我不会。 |
[11:24] | You might be laughing out loud right now at the thought, | 想到这里你可能会笑出声来, |
[11:27] | but I think I get it. | 但我认为我可以。 |
[11:30] | Maybe I don’t. | 也许我也不行。 |
[11:36] | Hello! | 你好! |
[11:54] | Well, you’re here. | 嗯,你在这里。 |
[11:56] | I am! | 我是! |
[11:59] | We know you can type, hooray! | 我们知道你会打字,万岁! |
[12:01] | But have you ever used a dictaphone? | 但你用过录音机吗? |
[12:04] | At ease. | 自在。 |
[12:07] | It can be tricky at first, | 一开始可能有点棘手, |
[12:08] | but I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it. | 但我相信你会找到窍门的。 |
[12:12] | Play, rewind, and I think those control speed. | 播放,倒带,我认为这些控制速度。 |
[12:16] | Hugh can help. | 休可以帮助。 |
[12:17] | Hugh… | 休…… |
[12:18] | You can get started with these. | 你可以从这些开始。 |
[12:23] | This is our technological area. | 这是我们的技术领域。 |
[12:26] | It is all very new. | 这一切都是全新的。 |
[12:28] | This is the Xerox machine you’ll use | 这是你要用的复印机 |
[12:30] | to make copies of my correspondence. | 复印我的信件。 |
[12:32] | I believe that is the button you press to make a copy. | 我想那就是你要复制的按钮。 |
[12:36] | Did she give you her speech | 她给你演讲了吗 |
[12:37] | about the evils of the digital age yet? | 关于数字时代的邪恶? |
[12:39] | Max, this is Joanna, my new assistant. | 麦克斯,这是乔安娜,我的新助理。 |
[12:41] | – Hello, Joanna! – Max. | —你好,乔安娜!—麦克斯。 |
[12:43] | – Nice to meet you. – Nice to meet you. | —很高兴见到你。—很高兴见到你。 |
[12:44] | Um… | 嗯…… |
[12:47] | So, there are no computers? | 所以,没有电脑? |
[12:49] | We choose not to use computers. | 我们选择不使用电脑。 |
[12:51] | I’ve seen them in action. | 我看过他们的行动。 |
[12:53] | They just make more work for everyone, wasting time. | 他们只是为每个人创造更多的工作,浪费时间。 |
[12:56] | All right. | 好吧。 |
[12:58] | As you can see, we have a relaxed, cordial environment. | 如您所见,我们有一个轻松、亲切的环境。 |
[13:03] | We ask that you don’t wear dungarees, sneakers, | 我们要求你不要穿工装裤,运动鞋, |
[13:06] | T-shirts, sweatshirts, especially the kind with hoods. | T恤,运动衫,尤其是带兜帽的那种。 |
[13:09] | No open-toed shoes, | 没有穿露脚的鞋子, |
[13:10] | but it’s perfectly fine to wear trousers if you’re a woman, | 但如果你是女人,穿裤子是完全没问题的, |
[13:13] | and no need to wear stockings in the summer. | 夏天也不需要穿长筒袜。 |
[13:16] | Bare legs are perfectly fine. | 光腿就很好了。 |
[13:18] | And if Jerry calls, you just say: | 如果杰瑞打电话来,你就说 |
[13:20] | “Yes, Jerry, I will let my boss know.” | “好的,杰瑞,我会告诉我老板的。” |
[13:23] | Jerry Salinger? | 杰瑞·塞林格吗? |
[13:25] | Well, of course, Jerry Salinger. | 当然是杰里·塞林格。 |
[13:26] | And above all, you never, ever call him. | 最重要的是,你永远,永远不要给他打电话。 |
[13:29] | Why would I call Jerry Salinger? | 我为什么要给杰里·塞林格打电话? |
[13:32] | Jerry doesn’t want to hear about | 杰瑞不想听 |
[13:34] | how much you loved The Catcher in the Rye. | 《麦田里的守望者》 |
[13:36] | And he doesn’t want to read your stories. | 他也不想读你的故事。 |
[13:39] | – I don’t have stories. – Good. | —我没有故事。—好。 |
[13:41] | Writers make the worst assistants. | 作家是最差的助手。 |
[13:43] | Get to work. | 开始工作。 |
[13:59] | The proprietor hereby grants | 业主特此授予 |
[14:02] | to the publisher… | 出版商…… |
[14:04] | …starting from the date of this agreement. | ……从本协议签订之日起生效 |
[14:07] | The proprietor… | 经营者…… |
[14:09] | I’m Hugh. You must be Joanna. | 我是休。你一定是乔安娜。 |
[14:11] | Yes, hi! Nice to meet you. | 是的,你好!很高兴认识你。 |
[14:13] | If you need anything, I’m right here. | 如果你需要什么,尽管找我。 |
[14:15] | I take care of contracts, legal, copyrights, the fun stuff. | 我负责合同,法律,版权,有趣的事。 |
[14:21] | Salinger’s letters, fan mail. | 塞林格的信件,粉丝来信。 |
[14:24] | You need to answer them using these. | 你需要用这些来回答。 |
[14:29] | There’s one for each type of inquiry: | 每种类型的调查都有一个 |
[14:31] | adaptation, autobiography, | 应和、自传、 |
[14:34] | autograph, photograph, interview… | 签名,照片,面试…… |
[14:39] | celebrity auction. | 名人拍卖。 |
[14:43] | “Mr. Salinger does not wish to receive mail from his readers. | “塞林格先生不希望收到读者的邮件。 |
[14:45] | Thus we cannot pass your kind note on to him.” | 因此,我们不能把您的好意转达给他。” |
[14:48] | 1963? | 1963年? |
[14:50] | That’s the year he stopped responding himself. | 从那一年起,他不再亲自回复了。 |
[14:52] | You need to type the new one based exactly on this, verbatim. | 你需要在此基础上,逐字输入新的。 |
[14:56] | No change. | 没有变化。 |
[14:57] | So, Salinger doesn’t get any of his mail? | 塞林格没收到他的信吗? |
[15:00] | Not one, you shred them in the shredder. | 一个都没有,你用碎纸机撕碎了。 |
[15:04] | You should always read them. | 你应该经常阅读它们。 |
[15:05] | Yes, indeed. | 是的,确实。 |
[15:07] | – Just in case. – Just in case. | —以防万一。—以防万一。 |
[15:09] | In case of what? | 以防什么? |
[15:10] | We’ve been extra careful since the Marc David Chapman thing. | 马克·大卫·查普曼那件事之后我们就特别小心了。 |
[15:14] | John Lennon’s assassin. | 约翰列侬的刺客。 |
[15:16] | When the police arrived at the Dakota, | 当警察到达达科塔时, |
[15:19] | they found Chapman calmly sitting on the sidewalk | 他们发现查普曼平静地坐在人行道上 |
[15:21] | reading Catcher in the Rye. | 《麦田里的守望者》 |
[15:22] | At his trial, | 在他的审判中, |
[15:24] | Chapman said that the big part of him was Holden Caulfield. | 查普曼说他很像霍尔顿·考尔菲德。 |
[15:27] | And the small part of him was… | 而他的小小一面…… |
[15:32] | the devil. | 魔鬼。 |
[15:39] | Did Chapman write to Salinger? | 查普曼给塞林格写信了吗? |
[15:42] | We’ll never know, since we throw away the mail. | 我们永远不会知道,因为我们会扔掉邮件。 |
[15:46] | Read everything thoroughly. | 阅读一切彻底。 |
[15:49] | Use your judgment. | 使用你的判断。 |
[16:18] | I think about Holden a lot. | 我经常想起霍顿。 |
[16:21] | When I first think about him, | 当我第一次想起他的时候, |
[16:23] | I get a stupid grin on my face, you know… | 我会傻笑,你知道…… |
[16:26] | thinking about what a funny guy he is and all. | 想着他是一个多么有趣的人。 |
[16:30] | But then I usually get depressed as hell… | 但我通常会非常沮丧…… |
[16:33] | ’cause I only think about Holden | 因为我只想到霍顿 |
[16:35] | when I’m feeling very emotional, and… | 当我情绪激动的时候…… |
[16:38] | I can get quite emotional. | 我很容易激动。 |
[16:43] | “I can get quite emotional.” | “我会变得很情绪化。” |
[16:47] | This boy is so earnest. | 这个男孩很认真。 |
[16:50] | A major loser is what he is. | 他就是个大输家。 |
[16:53] | Hey! He is not! | 嘿!他不是! |
[16:54] | He is. | 他是。 |
[16:55] | He’s very sweet. | 他很甜。 |
[16:57] | He’s a little funny, | 他有点搞笑, |
[16:59] | but he’s sweet and he cares so much. | 但他很贴心,也很在乎。 |
[17:01] | I can’t send him a letter that says: | 我不能给他寄一封信,上面写着 |
[17:03] | “Dear kid, Mr. Salinger has no interest in you, | 亲爱的孩子,塞林格先生对你没兴趣, |
[17:05] | so please fuck off!” | 所以请滚开!” |
[17:08] | Look, this one is from the Netherlands: | 看,这个来自荷兰 |
[17:10] | “Me and my wife traced Holden’s steps around New York. | 我和我的妻子在纽约追踪霍顿的足迹。 |
[17:13] | “Did you know that the ducks in Central Park | “你知道中央公园的鸭子 |
[17:15] | stay through winter?” | 待过冬天吗?” |
[17:16] | Oh my God, they’re literally a bunch of obsessive freaks! | 天啊,他们真是一群强迫症怪胎! |
[17:25] | I haven’t read Catcher in the Rye. | 我还没读过《麦田里的守望者》 |
[17:28] | You’re kidding. | 你在开玩笑吧。 |
[17:31] | I haven’t read any Salinger. | 我没读过塞林格的书。 |
[17:35] | Wow! | 哇! |
[17:36] | Everybody’s read Catcher at the very least. | 每个人都或多或少读过吧。 |
[17:39] | Yeah, well, at the risk of disappointing you, | 好吧,可能要让你失望的是, |
[17:41] | there are actually a few writers that I have yet to read. | 其实有一些作家我还没读过。 |
[17:45] | Well, I’m shocked. | 嗯,我震惊了。 |
[17:48] | Hey, look, this girl is ready to go to bed with him. | 听着,这个女孩已经准备好和他上床了。 |
[17:51] | He’s 70-something. | 他70年。 |
[17:52] | Don’t be naive! | 不要太天真! |
[17:53] | Good literature is a powerful aphrodisiac. | 好的文学作品是一种强大的催情剂。 |
[17:59] | I never had that teenage Salinger moment. | 我从没有过青少年时期的塞林格时刻 |
[18:02] | We never read Catcher in the Rye at school, | 我们在学校时没有读过《麦田里的守望者》 |
[18:04] | and later, I was interested in difficult, gritty fiction. | 后来我热衷于艰涩难懂的小说。 |
[18:09] | Hey, honey! | 嘿,亲爱的! |
[18:10] | Uh, Jenny’s not here right now. | 珍妮现在不在。 |
[18:13] | Oh! I’ll be in the kitchen. | 哦!我在厨房。 |
[18:15] | I imagined Salinger’s books | 我想象着塞林格的书 |
[18:18] | to be insufferably cute, quirky and precious. | 是那种无法忍受的可爱,古怪和珍贵 |
[18:23] | I didn’t want to be entertained. | 我没有想从中获得消遣, |
[18:25] | I wanted to be provoked. | 我想被激发。 |
[18:47] | Every morning! | 每天早上! |
[18:49] | My shoulder hurts from carrying all those manuscripts. | 我背了那么多手稿,肩膀都疼了。 |
[18:52] | – Hey, Joanna! – Hi! | —嘿,乔安娜!—你好! |
[18:56] | Oh! I found a writer for Max out of the slush pile. | 哦!我从烂泥堆里给马克斯找了个作家。 |
[18:58] | The stories are so good. | 这些故事太好了。 |
[19:00] | I read them last night, and I was sobbing by the end. | 我昨晚看的,看完我都哭了。 |
[19:08] | What’s the slush pile? | 什么是烂泥堆? |
[19:09] | The slush pile? | 泥堆吗? |
[19:11] | OK, it’s like the most amazing | 好吧,这是最神奇的 |
[19:13] | and most horrible part of our job. | 也是我们工作中最可怕的部分。 |
[19:15] | The stacks of manuscripts nobody wants to read. | 没人想读的一堆堆手稿。 |
[19:17] | Basically, it’s all the unsolicited query letters, | 基本上,就是那些不请自来的询问信, |
[19:20] | people with no referral who write to agents cold. | 没有推荐的人会写信给冰冷的探员。 |
[19:22] | The slush pile is, like, 99% crazy shit, | 那堆烂泥简直是百分之九十九的疯狂, |
[19:25] | though some of it is seriously hilarious. | 虽然有些情节非常搞笑。 |
[19:27] | But very, very occasionally, you find something amazing. | 但偶尔,你会发现一些惊人的东西。 |
[19:33] | Your boss doesn’t let you read? | 你的老板不让你读书? |
[19:36] | I can read manuscripts, | 我可以读手稿, |
[19:38] | should that be something that interests you, | 这是你感兴趣的事吗, |
[19:40] | at home on my free time, of course! | 当然,在我的空闲时间在家! |
[19:42] | Manuscripts? | 手稿吗? |
[19:46] | No. | 不。 |
[19:50] | Tabs, wrong. | 标签,错了。 |
[19:52] | Margins, wrong. | 边距,是错误的。 |
[19:54] | Profi names, wrong. | 文档名称,是错误的。 |
[19:55] | Really, everything wrong. | 真的,一切都错了。 |
[19:57] | You can start re-typing today. | 你今天就可以开始重新打字了。 |
[20:00] | And here, as a bonus, is today’s dictation. | 这里,作为奖励,是今天的听写。 |
[20:05] | That… | 那 |
[20:06] | Forget about manuscripts. | 忘记手稿。 |
[20:08] | You need to get that right. | 你需要做对。 |
[20:14] | Is it on? | 是开着的吗? |
[20:15] | Uh, no. | 哦,不。 |
[20:18] | As you know, I believe that computers make work | 如你所知,我相信电脑可以工作 |
[20:22] | rather than alleviate it, | 而不是依赖它, |
[20:24] | but I agreed to install one in the office, | 但我同意在办公室装一个, |
[20:26] | on a trial basis, because… | 以试验为基础,因为…… |
[20:28] | It came in an elegant black. | 它是一款优雅的黑色。 |
[20:30] | Because Hugh discovered that people… | 因为休发现人们…… |
[20:34] | I don’t know who these people are | 我不知道这些人是谁 |
[20:35] | or why they don’t have more important things | 或者为什么他们没有更重要的东西 |
[20:37] | to do with their lives… | 与他们的生活有关…… |
[20:39] | but people have been publishing whole Salinger stories | 但人们一直在出版整个塞林格的故事 |
[20:42] | on their personal e-webs. | 在他们个人的网上。 |
[20:45] | Web logs. | 网络日志 |
[20:47] | Web logs… Ridiculous! | 网络日志荒谬! |
[20:49] | This is blatant copyright infringement, | 这是公然侵犯版权, |
[20:52] | and we’re going to have to scour the World Wide Web | 我们还得搜遍万维网 |
[20:55] | to put an end to it. | 结束这一切。 |
[20:56] | And that is all the computer is to be used for. | 这就是计算机的全部用途。 |
[21:00] | Sorry to interrupt. Just passing through. | 抱歉打扰了。只是经过。 |
[21:03] | Don’t mean to cause a fuss. | 我不想小题大做。 |
[21:09] | We can turn it off now. | 我们现在可以把它关掉了。 |
[21:11] | – Uh, it’s already off. – OK, good. | —已经关机了。—很好。 |
[21:13] | And maybe the little coat that goes over it. | 还有上面的小外套。 |
[21:15] | I’ve seen it in pictures. Thank you, Max. | 我在照片上看到过。谢谢你,马克斯。 |
[21:17] | I’m afraid we don’t have a… | 恐怕我们没有…… |
[21:21] | There were hundreds of us, thousands maybe, all girls, | 我们有好几百人,也许几千人,都是女孩, |
[21:26] | working at literary agencies or publishing houses. | 在文学代理机构或出版社工作。 |
[21:30] | We answered calls for our bosses, | 我们为老板接电话, |
[21:32] | ushered in the writers, fetched them water… | 迎来了编剧们,给他们接了水 |
[21:35] | never belying the fact that we wanted to be writers ourselves. | 从不掩饰我们自己想成为作家的事实 |
[21:39] | We whispered about the lucky ones, | 我们窃窃私语着一些幸运儿, |
[21:41] | the ones who were mentored by their bosses, | 那些被老板信任的人, |
[21:44] | who were allowed to take on books or clients, | 谁被允许接受书籍或客户, |
[21:47] | the ones who broke the rules to show initiative… | 可以不墨守成规的人…… |
[21:53] | …the ones who wanted it badly enough. | 那些可以很可恶的家伙 |
[21:56] | Please find two copies | 请找两份副本, |
[21:58] | of the contract with St. Martin publishing. | 与圣马丁出版公司的合同。 |
[22:02] | Let’s face it. I was a secretary. | 让我们面对现实。我就是个小秘书。 |
[22:31] | Hello? | 喂? |
[22:33] | Hello? Hello? | 你好?喂? |
[22:34] | Hello? | 喂? |
[22:36] | Speaking to? It’s Jerry. | 这是杰里。 |
[22:40] | Hello, Mr. Salinger! | 你好,塞林格先生! |
[22:42] | Who is this? | 你是谁? |
[22:44] | This is Joanna. | 这是乔安娜。 |
[22:46] | Who? | 谁? |
[22:47] | I… I’m Joanna. | 我……我是乔安娜。 |
[22:48] | I’m… I’m Margaret’s new assistant. | 我……我是玛格丽特的新助理。 |
[22:50] | Oh, Margaret’s new assistant! | 哦,玛格丽特的新助理 |
[22:52] | Nice to meet you, Suzanna. | 很高兴认识你,苏珊娜。 |
[22:54] | How do you like your job? | 你喜欢你的工作吗? |
[22:55] | I love it! | 我爱它! |
[22:56] | Good to hear. I’m calling to speak to your boss. | 很高兴听到。我打电话来找你们的老板 |
[23:00] | Unfortunately, she’s not in right now. | 很不幸,她现在不在。 |
[23:02] | Um, can I leave her a message? | 需要给她留言吗? |
[23:03] | Oh, no, I’ll call back. | 哦不用,我会再打来的。 |
[23:06] | Well, I’m sure you have a lot of work. | 好吧,我相信你有很多的工作。 |
[23:08] | It was very nice talking to you, Suzanna. | 你人真好,苏珊娜。 |
[23:10] | I’m looking forward to meeting you in person. | 我期待与你见面。 |
[23:12] | You too. | 我也是。 |
[23:15] | Have a great day! | 祝你有美好的一天! |
[23:16] | Goodbye! | 再见! |
[23:23] | I never say: “Have a great day.” | 我从来不会说:“祝你有美好的一天。” |
[23:25] | Jerry? | 杰里? |
[23:27] | He’s deaf. An explosion during the war. | 他是聋子。战争期间的爆炸。 |
[23:29] | She just left? | 她刚刚离开吗? |
[23:30] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[23:32] | Better go tell her. | 最好去告诉她。 |
[23:40] | Quicker. | 快一点。 |
[23:46] | Margaret! | 玛格丽特! |
[23:48] | Sorry! I’m sorry to disturb you. | 对不起!对不起,打扰你了。 |
[23:50] | You just got a call from… | 你刚接到一个电话…… |
[23:52] | Your client just called. | 你的客户刚打电话来。 |
[23:55] | I wonder which one! | 我想知道是哪一个! |
[23:56] | I have to take this. | 我得接个电话。 |
[23:58] | Go ahead, Books. I’ll wait for you at the restaurant. | 去吧,老板。我在餐馆等你。 |
[24:01] | You did the right thing. | 你做得对。 |
[24:04] | Salinger wants to publish a book. | 塞林格想要出版一本书。 |
[24:09] | The press is gonna go nuts. | 媒体会疯掉的 |
[24:12] | No press. No one must know. | 没有新闻。不能让人知道。 |
[24:13] | That’s our job. | 这是我们的工作。 |
[24:14] | So it’s true. He’s been writing. | 所以这是真的。他还在写作。 |
[24:17] | Well, no, it’s an old story, Hapworth. | 嗯,不,这是一个古老的故事,哈普沃斯 |
[24:19] | A publisher, Clifford Bradbury, | 出版商克利福德·布拉德伯里 |
[24:22] | approached him to publish it as a stand-alone book. | 找到他,想把它单独出版。 |
[24:25] | He has been thinking about it for 8 years. | 这件事他已经想了8年了。 |
[24:29] | The publisher wrote to him back in ’88. | 88年出版商给他写过信。 |
[24:31] | Jerry liked the fact that he wrote on a typewriter. | 杰瑞喜欢用打字机写字。 |
[24:34] | How did he get Jerry’s address? | 他怎么知道杰瑞的地址的? |
[24:37] | He addressed it to J.D. Salinger, | 他把它寄给了J.D.塞林格 |
[24:39] | Cornish, New Hampshire. | 新罕布什尔州康沃尔。 |
[24:40] | Postman delivered it! | 邮递员发送它! |
[24:42] | That’s brilliant. | 这是辉煌的。 |
[24:43] | Wait, wait, wait, Margaret. | 等等,等等,玛格丽特。 |
[24:45] | What kind of publisher is this? | 这是什么样的出版商? |
[24:48] | It can’t be Little, Brown or any major house. | 不可能是小的,布朗的或者任何大机构。 |
[24:50] | They would have just called you. | 他们会直接打电话给你的。 |
[24:51] | Oh boy! You’re gonna love this, Max. | 哦,男孩!你会喜欢的,麦克斯。 |
[24:53] | It is a tiny press in Virginia. | 这是弗吉尼亚州的一家小出版社。 |
[24:56] | Kind of a one-man operation: Merrygold Press. | 一个人的生意,梅里戈尔德出版社。 |
[24:59] | Merrybells Press? | Merrybells新闻? |
[25:01] | Yes, that’s it. You know them? | 是的,就是这样。你知道他们吗? |
[25:05] | They publish poetry, and I like few of their poets. | 他们出版诗歌,我不喜欢他们的诗人。 |
[25:10] | Are you fucking kidding me? | 你他妈在开玩笑吧? |
[25:11] | A one-man press is going to publish | 一个个人出版社要出版了 |
[25:13] | the first book from Salinger | 塞林格的第一本书 |
[25:15] | in 3 decades? | 在30年后? |
[25:16] | That’s fucked. | 这太不可思议了。 |
[25:18] | Publishing Salinger is different | 出版塞林格的作品是完全不一样的 |
[25:20] | than publishing poetry. | 相较与出版那些诗集。 |
[25:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢你! |
[25:22] | Obviously, we have to proceed carefully. | 显然,我们必须小心行事。 |
[25:25] | Find out everything we can about this Clifford Bradbury. | 尽我们所能找出关于克利福德·布拉德伯里的一切。 |
[25:29] | I’ll call him. | 我会打电话给他。 |
[25:30] | I won’t mention Salinger, | 我就不提塞林格了 |
[25:31] | and I’ll ask for his catalogue and a sample for our records. | 我要他的产品目录和样品存档。 |
[25:35] | Good thinking. | 好想法。 |
[25:37] | Hugh, get me the contract with The New Yorker, please. | 休,请帮我拿《纽约客》的合同。 |
[25:43] | What’s Hapworth? | 哈普华兹是什么? |
[25:47] | It was published in The New Yorker in ’65. | 它于1965年发表在《纽约客》上。 |
[25:50] | Took up almost the whole magazine. | 几乎占据了整个杂志。 |
[25:52] | – Let me see. – Pretty common in those days. | —让我看看。—那时候很常见。 |
[25:55] | Esquire did it, Cosmo. | 《时尚先生》上的,还有《 时尚杂志》。 |
[25:58] | That’s where I got my start. Buying stories for a magazine. | 这就是我的起点。为杂志买故事。 |
[26:03] | For Cosmo? | 时尚杂志 ? |
[26:05] | For Playboy. | 花花公子。 |
[26:08] | How did you end up working for Playboy? | 你是怎么在《花花公子》工作的 |
[26:10] | Enough chit-chat, Joanna. Back to work. | 闲谈够了,乔安娜。重返工作岗位。 |
[26:14] | Hi! Is this Clifford Bradbury? | 你好!你是克利福德·布拉德伯里吗? |
[26:17] | Hi! This is Joanna Rakoff. | 你好!我是乔安娜·拉科夫。 |
[26:19] | I work for A & F Literary Management. | 我在A & F文学管理公司工作。 |
[26:21] | The job of an agent | 代理的工作 |
[26:23] | is to open up opportunities for their clients. | 是给他们客户的好机会。 |
[26:26] | But when it came to Salinger, the logic was reversed. | 但是当谈到塞林格的时候,逻辑正好相反 |
[26:30] | We had to shield him from the outside world, | 我们必须将他与外界做好有效隔离, |
[26:34] | bolstering his reputation as a complicated recluse. | 巩固了他作为一个复杂的隐士的声誉 |
[26:37] | Yeah, thank you. | 是的,谢谢你。 |
[26:38] | But publishing Hapworth | 但出版哈普华兹 |
[26:39] | was going to get a lot of attention. | 将会吸引多少的关注啊。 |
[26:42] | Nobody understood his change of heart. | 没有人明白他改变心意了 |
[26:45] | Night, Jerry. | 晚上,杰瑞。 |
[26:46] | Maybe, I thought, I understood. | 也许,我想我理解了。 |
[26:49] | Maybe he realized that what he wanted | 也许他意识到他想要的是什么 |
[26:52] | wasn’t what he wanted at all. | 或许也不是他需要的。 |
[26:56] | I was like: “Are you serious?” | 我说:“你是认真的吗?” |
[26:58] | She was like: | 她就像: |
[26:59] | “Yeah, he’s totally visiting me in my dreams. | “是的,他绝对是来我梦里看我的。” |
[27:01] | I think he has a message for me.” | 我想他有话要告诉我。” |
[27:02] | And I looked to either side of me to see if anyone heard. | 我朝两边看了看,看有没有人听见。 |
[27:44] | What are you writing? | 你在写什么? |
[27:46] | Writing a very bad poem. | 写一首很糟糕的诗。 |
[27:54] | Listen, Bret and I were talking, and… | 听着,Bret和我聊过,然后…… |
[28:00] | Look… | 看起来…… |
[28:03] | When you first got back to New York, | 你第一次回到纽约的时候, |
[28:05] | and I said that you could stay here, | 我说你可以住在这里, |
[28:08] | to be honest, I thought you’d go back to Berkeley with Karl. | 说实话,我以为你会和卡尔一起回伯克利。 |
[28:12] | You’re kicking me out? | 你要把我赶出去? |
[28:15] | No, like… | 不,喜欢…… |
[28:17] | I’m happy to have you here, and you can stay if you want, | 你能来我很高兴,如果你愿意,你可以留下, |
[28:22] | but what did you plan on doing? | 但你打算怎么做? |
[28:24] | What are your options? | 你有什么选择? |
[28:27] | Oh! Ah! | 哦!啊! |
[28:30] | We disinfected the apartment. | 我们给公寓消毒了 |
[28:35] | ‘Cause the man before had 7 cats. | 因为之前那个人有7只猫。 |
[28:38] | But young married couple like you | 但是像你们这样的年轻夫妇 |
[28:42] | take better care of it, yeah? | 好好照顾它,好吗? |
[28:44] | We’re not married. | 我们不结婚了。 |
[28:46] | The man next door, | 隔壁的那个男人, |
[28:48] | he takes care of little things if you need. | 如果你需要,他会照顾你。 |
[28:51] | He’s Mexican. He drinks. | 他是墨西哥人。他喜欢喝酒。 |
[28:55] | But he works hard. | 但是他工作很努力。 |
[28:57] | Uh, how much? | 嗯,多少钱? |
[29:00] | $560. | 560美元。 |
[29:01] | We’ll think about it! | 我们会考虑的! |
[29:03] | No, we’ll take it. | 不,我们要这个。 |
[29:05] | Oh! Good deal! | 哦!好交易! |
[29:07] | You’re Jewish, yeah? | 你是犹太人,是吗? |
[29:09] | – Me? – Mmm? | —我吗?—嗯? |
[29:10] | No. | 不。 |
[29:12] | I like, very responsible. | 我喜欢,很负责任。 |
[29:14] | – Hmm. – Pay on time. | —嗯。—按时支付工资。 |
[29:16] | Uh, let’s sign the paper. | 呃,我们签个字吧。 |
[29:19] | The lease is gonna be under her name. | 租约会用她的名字签。 |
[29:21] | Hmm? | 嗯? |
[29:25] | Could have just given ourselves a day to think about it. | 给我们自己一天时间好好想想。 |
[29:27] | No, this is New York City, young lady, the big time! | 不,这是纽约,小姐,大日子! |
[29:30] | I barely make $300 a week. | 我每周只能挣300美元。 |
[29:32] | No, wait, we split the rent, Buba. | 不,等等,我们平分房租,布巴。 |
[29:34] | I’m gonna pay my half. | 我付我那一半。 |
[29:35] | I just… I just have to avoid the credit check. | 我只是……我只是要避免信用检查。 |
[29:39] | Look, I’ll take care of the furniture, all right? | 我来处理家具,好吗? |
[29:42] | There’s no sink. | 没有沉没。 |
[29:44] | What? | 什么? |
[29:45] | There’s no sink in the kitchen. | 厨房里没有洗涤槽。 |
[29:47] | I knew something was off about the apartment. | 我就知道公寓有点不对劲。 |
[29:49] | I couldn’t put my finger on it. | 我都不敢碰这里。 |
[29:50] | There’s no kitchen sink. | 这里没有厨房水槽。 |
[29:52] | We just signed a lease for an apartment with no sink! | 我们刚签了一间没有水槽的公寓的租约! |
[29:54] | Well, we can do the dishes in the bathtub. | 我们可以在浴缸里洗碗。 |
[29:56] | It’s no big deal. | 没什么大不了的。 |
[29:57] | There’s a tub. Trust me. | 有一个浴缸。相信我。 |
[30:00] | Hey, man! You coming? | 嘿,男人!你要来吗? |
[30:04] | Ladies and gentlemen… | 女士们,先生们…… |
[30:19] | Dear Mr. Salinger, please forgive my bad English. | 亲爱的塞林格先生,请原谅我的英语不好。 |
[30:23] | I work much at night, | 我晚上工作很多, |
[30:24] | and I like it because I don’t have to talk to people so much. | 我喜欢它,因为我不用和别人说那么多。 |
[30:29] | My heart is troubled, just like Holden Caulfield. | 我的心很不安,就像霍尔顿·考尔菲德一样。 |
[30:31] | Holden is like my grandfather, you know, a no-bullshit man. | 霍顿就像我的祖父,你知道的,一个言出必行的人。 |
[30:37] | He taught me a lot about human nature. | 他教会了我很多关于人性的东西。 |
[30:40] | He warned me I would be disappointed by most people. | 他警告我说,大多数人都会让我失望。 |
[30:43] | We would be very honored | 我们将非常荣幸 |
[30:44] | if you would serve as our commencement reader next year. | 如果你明年能做我们毕业典礼的读书人的话。 |
[30:47] | We would, of course, provide you with accommodation | 当然,我们会为您提供住宿 |
[30:50] | in a very fine inn, | 在一家很好的客栈里, |
[30:51] | where your privacy, which I know is important to you, | 我知道你的隐私对你来说很重要, |
[30:54] | would be scrupulously respected. | 会受到严格的尊重。 |
[30:57] | The fishing helps me. | 钓鱼帮助我。 |
[30:59] | A nice refuge from my nightmares. | 一个躲避噩梦的好地方。 |
[31:02] | It’s been 27 years since Vietnam. | 越南战争已经过去27年了。 |
[31:06] | They just keep getting worse. | 情况越来越糟。 |
[31:09] | You know, seeing your dead friends | 看到你死去的朋友 |
[31:11] | having their guts ripped out… | 他们的内脏被掏出来…… |
[31:14] | Well, I’m sure you must have similar type dreams, | 我相信你肯定也做过类似的梦, |
[31:16] | being a veteran who… | 作为一个老兵…… |
[31:17] | “…does not wish to receive mail from his readers. | ”……不希望收到读者的邮件。 |
[31:20] | “Thus, we cannot pass along your kind note to him. | “因此,我们不能把你友好的字条传递给他 |
[31:23] | We thank you for your interest in Mr. Salinger’s book.” | 我们非常感谢你对塞林格先生的书的兴趣” |
[31:26] | My daughter died from leukemia. | 我女儿死于白血病。 |
[31:28] | She was a talented young writer. | 她是一位有才华的年轻作家。 |
[31:30] | I’m founding a small literary magazine in her memory, | 为了纪念她,我创办了一家小型文学杂志, |
[31:34] | and I’d like permission to call it Bananafish, | 请允许我称它为香蕉鱼, |
[31:36] | as Salinger was her fav… | 因为塞林格是她的最爱…… |
[31:55] | Titles can’t be copyrighted. | 标题不受版权保护。 |
[31:57] | I could write a novel | 我可以写一本小说 |
[31:58] | and call it The Great Gatsby if I wanted to. | 如果我愿意,就把它叫做《了不起的盖茨比》吧。 |
[32:01] | So, yes, she can call her magazine Bananafish. | 所以,是的,她可以叫她的杂志香蕉鱼 |
[32:04] | Great! | 太棒了! |
[32:06] | But the agency can’t advise her. | 但是中介不能给她建议。 |
[32:10] | As always… | 一如既往…… |
[32:11] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[32:12] | Yep! I’m just telling you this for your own edification. | 是的!我告诉你这些只是为了启发你。 |
[32:16] | Send the form letter and finish shredding. | 发送模板信并完成撕碎。 |
[32:18] | That’s absurd! | 这是荒谬的! |
[32:19] | Well, of course, you’re right. | 当然,你是对的。 |
[32:20] | She’s gonna start yelling at me | 她会冲我大喊大叫的 |
[32:22] | the minute she’s off the phone. | 她一挂断电话。 |
[32:24] | A pleasure to talk to you, Jerry, as always. Goodbye! | 很高兴和你聊天,杰瑞,一如既往。再见! |
[32:29] | Crap sandwich! | 废话三明治! |
[32:30] | – Hugh! – Yes? | —休!—是吗? |
[32:32] | Do you have the Salinger contract ready? | 塞林格的合同准备好了吗? |
[32:34] | Yes, almost there. | 是的,差不多了。 |
[32:36] | Ask Pam to call a messenger | 让帕姆打电话给信使 |
[32:37] | so we can get it over to The New Yorker before 6:00. | 所以我们可以在6点前把它送到《纽约客》。 |
[32:40] | The New Yorker? | 《纽约客》? |
[32:42] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[32:44] | Probably best if I just bring it myself then, no? | 那我自己来最好了,不是吗? |
[32:50] | I grew up reading The New Yorker, | 我是看《纽约客》长大的, |
[32:52] | following my father’s ritual. | 也是跟随我父亲 。 |
[32:54] | He would start with the movie reviews, | 他会从电影评论开始, |
[32:56] | and then turn to “The Talk of the Town,” | 然后是街谈巷议的话题, |
[32:59] | and then the features. | 然后是花边新闻。 |
[33:00] | In college, everyone was into The New Yorker. | 在大学里,每个人都喜欢《纽约客》。 |
[33:08] | Hi! | 你好! |
[33:10] | My boss wanted me to make sure this was delivered right away. | 我老板要我确保这封信马上送到。 |
[33:13] | Thank you! | 谢谢你! |
[33:19] | Can I help you with something else? | 我还能为您做些什么吗? |
[33:21] | No. No! | 不。不! |
[33:23] | No, no, that was it, thanks. | 不,不,就这些,谢谢。 |
[33:41] | I was at the Algonquin serving him a martini. | 我在阿尔冈昆酒店给他端马提尼。 |
[33:44] | Anyway, I used my Cosmo ID to get in the room. | 不管怎样,我用我的《时尚杂志》 ID进入房间。 |
[33:48] | I recognized the agent. He did not recognize me. | 我认出了那个代理。他没有认出我来。 |
[33:52] | And we spent the evening talking about William’s tragic death | 我们整晚都在谈论威廉的惨死 |
[33:56] | and the agency. | 和代理。 |
[33:57] | And? | 然后呢? |
[33:58] | And I lost my job at Cosmo | 我失去了我在《时尚杂志》的工作 |
[34:00] | for not showing up the next morning. | 因为第二天早上没来。 |
[34:03] | But I kept the man’s card, | 但我保留了他的名片 |
[34:05] | and a year later, I gave him a call at the agency… | 一年后,我给他打了个电话…… |
[34:09] | Hi… | 嗨…… |
[34:11] | …and he hired me. | ……他雇了我。 |
[34:13] | And the rest is history. Joanna, what is it? | 剩下的就是历史了。乔安娜,怎么了? |
[34:15] | – Is something wrong? – No. | —出什么事了吗?—没有。 |
[34:17] | She was walking by, looking cold and hungry and forlorn. | 她从旁边走过,看上去又冷又饿,又孤苦伶仃。 |
[34:21] | I invited her in. Joanna, please sit. | 我邀请她进来。乔安娜,请坐。 |
[34:23] | I don’t want to interrupt. | 我不想打断你们。 |
[34:25] | Don’t be silly. This is my wife, Helen. | 别傻了。这是我妻子海伦。 |
[34:27] | Nice to meet you. | 很高兴认识你。 |
[34:28] | We were just reminiscing, | 我们只是在回忆, |
[34:30] | telling tales about the lost generation: | 讲述迷惘一代的故事: |
[34:32] | Hemingway, Fitzgerald. | 海明威,菲茨杰拉德。 |
[34:33] | Do you know the agency represented Fitzgerald? | 你知道菲茨杰拉德的代理公司吗? |
[34:35] | Yes, and Dylan Thomas, | 是的,还有迪伦·托马斯, |
[34:37] | Langston Hughes, Agatha Christie. | 兰斯顿·休斯,阿加莎·克里斯蒂。 |
[34:39] | And you’ve read all their work, of course? | 你当然读过他们所有的作品了? |
[34:41] | I have, however, my boss suggests | 然而,我的老板建议说,我有 |
[34:43] | that I read writers that are alive. | 我读的都是活着的作家。 |
[34:45] | Speaking of living writers, | 说到活着的作家, |
[34:48] | are you familiar with Rachel Cusk? | 你认识瑞秋·卡斯克吗? |
[34:50] | Don’t take the bait, Joanna. | 别上当,乔安娜。 |
[34:52] | No, I am. Yes, I am, I am! | 不,我是。是的,我是,我是! |
[34:53] | Uh, her first novel, Saving Agnes, was huge. | 嗯,她的第一部小说《拯救艾格尼丝》非常成功。 |
[34:56] | It won the Whitbread, I think. | 我想它赢得了惠特布莱德奖。 |
[34:58] | And everyone that I knew in London was reading it. | 我在伦敦认识的每个人都在读这本书。 |
[35:01] | It was our lives, basically. Or it was… it was my… my life. | 基本上,这就是我们的生活。或者是……这是我的……我的生活。 |
[35:04] | What is it about? | 是关于什么的? |
[35:06] | Um… | 嗯…… |
[35:08] | Well, it’s a coming-of-age tale, definitely. | 这绝对是一个关于成长的故事。 |
[35:10] | I guess it’s about the ways in which | 我想是关于 |
[35:12] | women need to get over this self-loathing of their bodies. | 女人需要克服对自己身体的自我厌恶。 |
[35:15] | I’d say it’s more about how the patriarchy | 我觉得更多的是关于父权制 |
[35:18] | imposes rigid and terrifying ideas of femininity | 强加了刻板而可怕的女性化观念 |
[35:20] | onto young women, | 年轻女性, |
[35:22] | how that paralyzes them and strips them of their dignity. | 那是如何使他们瘫痪,剥夺他们的尊严。 |
[35:26] | I don’t know. It doesn’t feel quite that didactic to me. | 我不知道。我不觉得这是在说教。 |
[35:28] | It’s a very introspective novel. | 这是一本非常内省的小说。 |
[35:30] | It doesn’t really read like social commentary. | 读起来不像是社会评论。 |
[35:32] | OK. Joanna, meet Rachel Cusk. | 好的。乔安娜,这是瑞秋·卡斯克。 |
[35:37] | Hello. | 你好。 |
[35:38] | No, no. I’m so sorry. | 不,不。我很抱歉。 |
[35:41] | It’s OK. It’s lovely to meet you. | 没关系。很高兴认识你。 |
[35:43] | You’re a novelist yourself? | 你自己就是小说家? |
[35:45] | Joanna is my assistant. I don’t hire writers. | 乔安娜是我的助手。我不雇作家。 |
[35:48] | – I’m very particular about it. – Really? | —我很挑剔的。—真的吗? |
[35:50] | I thought all publishing assistants | 我想所有的出版助理 |
[35:52] | were writing novels at their desks. | 在他们的书桌上写小说。 |
[35:54] | If you can write a novel at your desk | 如果你能在你的书桌上写一本小说 |
[35:56] | while getting coffee for a tyrant like Margaret, good luck. | 给玛格丽特这样的暴君倒咖啡,祝你好运。 |
[35:59] | You really have to love it. | 你一定要热爱它。 |
[36:01] | You have to want it more than anything in the entire world, | 在这世上,你最想要的就是它, |
[36:04] | more than a boyfriend | 不只是男朋友 |
[36:05] | or a closet full of pretty dresses | 或者一个装满漂亮衣服的衣橱 |
[36:08] | or a fancy job that makes everyone jealous. | 或者是一份让所有人羡慕的好工作。 |
[36:11] | You need to be OK with saying no | 你需要接受被拒绝 |
[36:14] | when you’re invited to a party. | 当你被邀请参加聚会的时候。 |
[36:16] | And you really need to be OK | 而且你真的需要没事 |
[36:17] | with your mother and father hating you! | 你父母都恨你! |
[36:20] | Joanna, don’t you have dictation to finish? | 乔安娜,你不是要听写吗? |
[36:22] | Yes, I do. | 是的,我喜欢。 |
[36:24] | Margaret… | 玛格丽特…… |
[36:25] | Those St. Martin’s contract memos | 那些圣马丁的合同备忘录 |
[36:27] | need to go out immediately. | 我得马上出去。 |
[36:29] | Absolutely. It was nice to meet you. Thank you. | 绝对的。很高兴认识你。谢谢你! |
[36:31] | – Bye! – Goodbye, Joanna! | —再见!—再见,乔安娜! |
[36:32] | Lovely to meet you. | 很高兴认识你。 |
[36:39] | Ah! | 啊! |
[37:13] | Hi! | 你好! |
[37:15] | You got a letter, | 你有一封信, |
[37:18] | from your high school sweetheart, Karl. | 你高中时的恋人,卡尔。 |
[37:23] | Does he know about us? | 他知道我们的事吗? |
[37:28] | Yeah, I’m sure I mentioned it. | 是的,我肯定提过。 |
[37:29] | Joanna, did you break up with him? | 乔安娜,你和他分手了吗? |
[37:31] | Like a proper break up: | 就像正式的分手: |
[37:33] | “Dear Karl, it’s not you, it’s me. | “亲爱的卡尔,不是你的问题,是我的问题。 |
[37:34] | I’m sorry. It’s over.” | 我很抱歉。一切都结束了。” |
[37:36] | You know, the normal stuff? | 你知道的,正常的东西? |
[37:37] | We haven’t talked in 3 months. | 我们三个月没说过话了。 |
[37:39] | And he knows that I’m not going back to California. | 他也知道我不会回加州了。 |
[37:43] | Um… | 嗯…… |
[37:45] | Did you talk to the landlady about the heating? | 你跟女房东谈过暖气的事了吗? |
[37:49] | “Why do you need a heater? | “你为什么需要加热器?” |
[37:51] | Your love should keep you warm.” | 你的爱应该让你温暖。” |
[38:23] | I was hoping you might find the time to write back, | 我曾经希望你能有时间给我回信, |
[38:26] | but I bet you must be getting a lot of letters. | 但我敢打赌你一定收到了很多信。 |
[38:29] | But I feel like writing again, if you don’t mind me doing so, | 但我想再写一次,如果你不介意的话, |
[38:32] | ’cause, um, well, I feel depressed as hell. | 因为,嗯,我觉得非常沮丧。 |
[38:36] | And I figured it was the honest thing do. | 我觉得这是诚实的做法。 |
[38:40] | Your characters are the only ones in literature | 你的角色是文学作品中唯一的角色 |
[38:43] | who are truly like me. | 和我一样的人 |
[38:44] | I mean, they take action. | 我的意思是,他们会采取行动。 |
[38:46] | They don’t sit around contemplating suicide. | 他们不会坐在那里考虑自杀。 |
[38:48] | They pick up a gun and they shoot themselves in the head. | 他们拿起枪,朝自己的头开枪。 |
[38:50] | He’s challenging Jerry. | 他是具有挑战性的杰里。 |
[38:53] | It’s a game, and you’re falling for it. | 这只是个游戏,你会上当的。 |
[38:55] | I feel this boy just deserves a proper response, | 我觉得这孩子应该得到应有的回应, |
[38:58] | not our usual bullshit. | 不是我们平常说的那种屁话。 |
[38:59] | Bullshit? | 屁话吗? |
[39:01] | You are confusing judgment with empathy. | 你把判断力和同理心混为一谈了。 |
[39:06] | I have read hundreds of letters just like this one. | 我读过几百封这样的信。 |
[39:09] | It can get overwhelming, but just do your job. | 它会让你不知所措,但还是要做好你的工作。 |
[39:26] | Did you send my letter to Mr. Salinger? | 你把我的信发给塞林格先生了吗? |
[39:28] | Did you send my letter to Salinger? | 你把我的信寄给塞林格了吗? |
[39:30] | You have no right to keep my letter! | 你没有权利保留我的信! |
[39:33] | You can’t read other people’s mail! | 你不能看别人的邮件! |
[39:35] | I was at least expecting a confirmation. | 我还指望你能确认呢。 |
[39:51] | Dear Mr. Salinger, I hate school, | 亲爱的塞林格先生,我讨厌学校, |
[39:55] | especially English class. | 特别是英语课。 |
[39:57] | Catcher in the Rye is the only book I liked. | 《麦田里的守望者》是我唯一喜欢的书 |
[40:00] | My teacher is going to make me flunk. | 我的老师要给我不及格 |
[40:03] | She says I’ll have to repeat my year, | 她说要让我留级, |
[40:05] | and that’s gonna be so embarrassing. | 于是变得很尴尬了。 |
[40:07] | So I asked her: “What can I do?” | 我问她:”我可以做什么呢?“ |
[40:10] | “Write a letter to J.D. Salinger,” she told me, | “给J.D.塞林格写封信,”她告诉我, |
[40:13] | “and make it so good that he’ll write back. | “他的回信会很棒吧。 |
[40:15] | If he writes back, I’ll give you an A.” | 如果他回信了,我给你考试A。” |
[40:19] | Please write back so I can get an A. | 请回信,好让我得A。 |
[40:25] | “An A earned by trickery | “一个通过欺骗获得的A |
[40:27] | “means absolutely nothing. | ”意味着完全没有。 |
[40:29] | “You’ll soon find out that young women | “你会发现这个小女生 |
[40:31] | “are often held to double standards | “经常被认为有双重标准 |
[40:33] | when it comes to success.” | 来定义获得的成功。“ |
[40:36] | “You need to prove to yourself and to your peers | 你需要向你自己和你的同伴证明 |
[40:40] | “that you do not need special treatment. | “你不需要特殊处理, |
[40:43] | “If you desire an A or a passing grade, | ”你如果想要得A或顺利过关, |
[40:46] | “you must do the work assigned to you. | “必须完成你所应该做的事。 |
[40:49] | “And if you want to uphold the spirit of Holden, | “如果你想坚持霍尔顿的精神, |
[40:53] | “try not to care too much about how people judge you. | ”试着不要太在意别人是如何评价你的。 |
[40:55] | “This might mean being more humble, | “这可能意味着更谦虚, |
[40:58] | “but it’s the only way. | ”但是这是唯一的方法。 |
[41:00] | Sincerely, Joanna Rakoff.” | 真诚,乔安娜Rakoff。” |
[41:09] | You’ve become quite the expert in what Salinger would say. | 你已经成为塞林格的专家了。 |
[41:13] | “If you want to uphold the spirit of Holden…” | “如果你想弘扬霍尔顿的精神……” |
[41:17] | Have you read Catcher yet? | 你读过《麦田里的守望者》吗? |
[41:21] | You haven’t! | 你没有! |
[41:25] | Unbelievable! | 难以置信! |
[41:33] | Bret got accepted at Case Western. | Bret被凯斯西储录取了。 |
[41:35] | Thought he was going to Brooklyn Law. | 我以为他要去布鲁克林法学院。 |
[41:37] | He’s from the Midwest. He misses it, you know? | 他来自中西部。他很怀念,你知道吗? |
[41:41] | So you’ll stay here until he’s done? | 所以你会一直待在这里直到他结束吗? |
[41:44] | Of course not. I’m going with him. | 当然不是。我要和他一起去。 |
[41:47] | We’re engaged, remember? | 我们订婚了,还记得吗? |
[41:50] | Hey, you’re moving? | 嘿,你走吗? |
[41:54] | I… I thought you loved your work? | 我……我以为你喜欢你的工作? |
[41:57] | I do! But Cleveland is a cool city. | 我做!但是克利夫兰是一个很酷的城市。 |
[42:01] | We’re already looking for a place in Shaker Heights. | 我们已经在夏克高地找房子了。 |
[42:04] | Wow! The suburbs! | 哇!郊区! |
[42:10] | Have you been writing lately? | 你最近一直在写信吗? |
[42:14] | I don’t really write anymore. | 我已经不再写作了。 |
[42:17] | I know we used to say that we wanted to become writers, | 我知道我们曾经说过我们想成为作家, |
[42:21] | but that was more your thing. | 但那更适合你。 |
[42:23] | I kind of grew out of it. | 我已经长大了。 |
[42:28] | You make it sound like a teenage phase. | 你说得好像是青少年时期。 |
[42:32] | Isn’t that what it was? | 不就是这样吗? |
[42:33] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白你的意思。 |
[42:35] | You’ll drop everything for Bret’s project? | 你会为了Bret的项目放弃一切吗? |
[42:36] | Whoa, Joanna, stop! | 哇,乔安娜,停! |
[42:39] | I don’t want to be a writer. | 我不想当作家。 |
[42:40] | You keep saying you wanna write, | 你一直说你想写作 |
[42:42] | but you work long hours for other writers | 但你为其他作家工作时间很长 |
[42:45] | while Don is at home writing his novel. | 而唐却在家里写小说。 |
[42:47] | Oh, we both write. | 哦,我们都写。 |
[42:48] | And we’re supportive of each other’s work. | 我们互相支持对方的工作。 |
[42:51] | Well, then I’m happy for you guys! | 那我真为你们高兴! |
[42:53] | Please be happy for me. | 请为我感到高兴。 |
[42:59] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉。 |
[43:02] | Um… | 嗯…… |
[43:05] | Why don’t we go to the Waldorf and eat dessert? | 不如我们去华尔道夫饭店吃甜点吧? |
[43:09] | Ha! I’ll have the $12 cheesecake. | 哈!我要12美元的芝士蛋糕。 |
[43:12] | Maybe we’ll catch my boss on her martini lunch or something. | 也许我们可以在我老板的马提尼午餐上见她。 |
[43:15] | Gotta get back to work. | 我得回去工作了。 |
[43:29] | – Everything to your liking? – Yes. Thank you. | —都是你喜欢的吗?—是的。谢谢你! |
[44:20] | May I get you a cab? | 要我帮你叫辆出租车吗? |
[44:22] | Oh, it’s such a nice day. I think I’ll walk. | 哦,今天天气真好。我想我会走着去。 |
[44:24] | It is a beautiful day. You enjoy it. | 这是一个美好的一天。你喜欢它。 |
[44:28] | Thanks! | 谢谢! |
[44:39] | Hello? | 你好? |
[44:40] | Hello, Suzanna! How are you today? | 你好,苏珊娜!你今天好吗? |
[44:43] | I’m… I’m great. How are you? How’s the weather in Cornish? | ……我很好。你好吗?康沃尔的天气怎么样? |
[44:46] | It’s very pleasant. Uh, tell me something, Suzanna. | 这是非常愉快的。告诉我,苏珊娜。 |
[44:50] | I was looking at those books | 我正在看那些书 |
[44:52] | from this fellow Clifford in Virginia, Merrybells Press. | 来自弗吉尼亚的克里福德, Merrybells出版社的。 |
[44:55] | Yes… | 是的…… |
[44:57] | What do you think of them? | 你有什么想法吗? |
[44:58] | Um… | 嗯…… |
[44:59] | Honestly, I think the design isn’t great. | 老实说,我觉得这个设计不怎么样。 |
[45:02] | I think they’d really benefit from hiring a designer. | 我觉得他们雇个设计师会很有好处。 |
[45:05] | Uh, but as far as the books themselves, | 但说到书本身, |
[45:07] | I’ve only read a few. | 我只读了几本。 |
[45:09] | I do like some of the poets they publish, though. | 不过我确实喜欢他们出版的一些诗人。 |
[45:12] | Oh, you read poetry? | 哦,你会读诗吗 |
[45:13] | I do, yes, a lot! | 我喜欢,是的,经常喜欢! |
[45:15] | But do you write poetry yourself? | 但是你自己写诗吗 |
[45:17] | I do! | 我做! |
[45:18] | Well, I’m very glad to hear that. | 好的,很高兴听到。 |
[45:20] | Poetry is food for the soul. | 诗歌是心灵的食粮 |
[45:23] | Never forget that, | 请不要忘了, |
[45:24] | uh, Suzanna. | 呃,苏珊娜。 |
[45:26] | Food for the soul. I’ve got it! | 灵魂的食物。我懂了! |
[45:29] | Uh, Suzanna, it’s important to write everyday. | 哦,苏珊娜,每天写作是很重要的。 |
[45:32] | You know that? | 你知道吗? |
[45:34] | I’ll keep that in mind. | 我会记住的。 |
[45:36] | Jerry wants to meet Clifford. | 杰瑞想见见克里福德。 |
[45:39] | Gosh! | 天啊! |
[45:41] | We have to find somewhere discreet. | 我们得找个隐蔽的地方。 |
[45:42] | Well, it won’t be. | 好吧,不会的。 |
[45:44] | Jerry’s driving down to Washington on Wednesday. | 杰瑞星期三要开车去华盛顿。 |
[45:47] | They’re meeting in a cafeteria at Georgetown University. | 他们要在乔治城大学的自助餐厅见面。 |
[45:50] | That’s awful! Awful! | 这是可怕的!可怕的! |
[45:52] | Uh, do we trust this Clifford fellow? | 我们相信这个克利福德的家伙吗? |
[45:56] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[45:57] | So, we’re presuming he’s not gonna tip off The Post | 所以,我们假设他不会泄露邮件 |
[46:01] | that the world’s most reclusive writer, | 世界上最隐居的作家, |
[46:04] | who barely leaves his home, | 他几乎不出家门 |
[46:05] | who hasn’t given an interview in decades, | 已经几十年没接受过采访了, |
[46:07] | will be having lunch | 正在吃午饭 |
[46:09] | at Georgetown University on Wednesday? | 周三在乔治城大学? |
[46:12] | Yeah. | 是的。 |
[46:14] | You have mentioned this possibility to Jerry? | 你跟杰瑞提过这种可能性吗? |
[46:17] | I have not. Jerry thinks of Clifford as a pal. | 我没有。杰瑞把克利福德当成朋友。 |
[46:21] | If I say anything negative about him, | 如果我说他的坏话, |
[46:23] | Jerry will not take it kindly. | 杰瑞不会接受的。 |
[46:24] | That’s it. Back to work. | 就是这样。重返工作岗位。 |
[46:28] | Oh, Joanna, tell me what you think of this. | 乔安娜,告诉我你的想法。 |
[46:35] | Judy Blume? | 朱迪·布鲁姆? |
[46:37] | You’ve heard of her? | 你听说过她吗? |
[46:38] | Of course I have! | 我当然有! |
[46:39] | I read all of her books as a kid. | 我小时候读过她所有的书。 |
[46:41] | I love her. Everyone loves her. | 我爱她。每个人都喜欢她。 |
[46:44] | She was a client of my predecessor, Claire. | 她是我前任克莱尔的客户。 |
[46:46] | She’s not written a book in a long time. | 她很久没写书了。 |
[46:48] | Have you ever read Judy Blume? | 你读过朱迪·布鲁姆的书吗? |
[46:50] | No. I don’t read children’s literature. | 不。我不看儿童文学。 |
[46:53] | But they’re so wonderful! | 但是它们太棒了! |
[46:55] | I’m sure! Claire had impeccable taste. | 我敢肯定!克莱尔的品味无可挑剔。 |
[46:59] | You wanna go out? | 你想出去吗? |
[47:01] | We’re broke. | 我们破产了。 |
[47:04] | So? We’ll split a beer. | 所以呢?我们一起喝啤酒。 |
[47:09] | It’s open mic night at the KGB. | 今天是克格勃的扩音器之夜。 |
[47:13] | What? | 什么? |
[47:14] | Well, bring a poem. They’ll love you. | 那就带首诗来。他们会爱你。 |
[47:17] | You’re not funny. | 你不是有趣的。 |
[47:20] | I’m not trying to be. | 我也不想这样。 |
[47:22] | Your poems are good. | 你的诗很好。 |
[47:26] | I have a Judy Blume manuscript to read. | 我要读朱迪·布鲁姆的手稿。 |
[47:27] | Judy Blume? | 朱迪·布鲁姆? |
[47:30] | Judy fucking Blume? | 朱迪他妈的抱吗? |
[47:33] | I loved Then Again, Maybe I Won’t. | 我喜欢过《一而再》,也许我不再。 |
[47:35] | You like Judy Blume? | 你喜欢朱迪·布鲁姆吗? |
[47:37] | Yeah. I mean, I was a kid once. | 是的。我是说,我也曾经是个孩子。 |
[47:39] | And like her hero, Tony, my parents were working class | 和她心目中的英雄托尼一样,我的父母也是工人阶级 |
[47:42] | and moved to a middle-class area. | 搬到了一个中产阶级地区。 |
[47:43] | It’s about social class. | 这是关于社会阶级的。 |
[47:45] | No, it’s not! | 不,不是! |
[47:48] | It turns you on that I like pedestrian stuff, | 我喜欢平淡无奇的东西让你兴奋不已, |
[47:51] | doesn’t it? | 不是吗? |
[48:09] | To be given Judy Blume’s new book | 会有一本朱迪·布鲁姆的新书 |
[48:11] | was like going from sitting in the stands | 仿佛坐在看台上开始 |
[48:14] | to hitting a home run. | 看到一个本垒打。 |
[48:16] | I felt lucky to be on the inside. | 我感到无比幸运。 |
[48:20] | Well? | 好吗? |
[48:21] | I like it. | 我喜欢它。 |
[48:23] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[48:24] | But what do you make of it? | 但你是怎么想的? |
[48:27] | I’m not sure what you mean. | (我不能肯定你的意思。) |
[48:28] | Well, it’s not a kids book, is it? | 这不是一本儿童读物,对吧? |
[48:31] | No, no, it’s about kids for grown-ups. | 不,不,是关于大人的孩子。 |
[48:34] | It’s about female friendship. | 是关于女性友谊的。 |
[48:35] | But will adults buy a book about kids? | 但是大人会买一本关于孩子的书吗? |
[48:39] | Can I sell it? | 我可以卖吗? |
[48:43] | Lots of books have child protagonists. | 很多书都以儿童为主角。 |
[48:45] | Um, Oliver Twist! | 嗯,我> |
[48:46] | This is not Oliver Twist. | 《雾都孤儿》 |
[48:49] | But you would buy it? | 但你会买吗? |
[48:51] | I would. | 我会的。 |
[48:52] | Hmm… | 嗯…… |
[48:54] | Many people would. | 许多人会。 |
[48:57] | There’s the nostalgia factor. | 还有怀旧的因素。 |
[48:59] | You know, my entire generation grew up on Judy Blume. | 我这一代人都是看着朱迪·布鲁姆长大的。 |
[49:03] | Maybe. | 也许吧。 |
[49:04] | Definitely. | 肯定。 |
[49:09] | All right. You’ve had your fun. | 好吧。你已经玩够了。 |
[49:15] | I put new tapes on your desk. | 我把新磁带放在你桌上了。 |
[49:18] | Close the door. | 关上门。 |
[49:28] | I got the deal. | 我成交了。 |
[49:30] | For sure, she was very happy. | 当然,她非常高兴。 |
[49:32] | Judy! Margaret is expecting you. | 朱迪!玛格丽特正在等你。 |
[49:35] | Oh! | 哦! |
[49:37] | – Coffee? – No. | —咖啡吗?—没有。 |
[49:39] | That’s very exciting! Yes. | 这是非常令人兴奋!是的。 |
[49:42] | What is it? | 它是什么? |
[49:44] | Judy Blume is here. | 朱迪·布鲁姆报道。 |
[49:45] | Shit! | 狗屎! |
[49:47] | Uh, Michael, hold on one second. | 迈克尔,等一下。 |
[49:49] | That’s today? | 这是今天吗? |
[49:51] | I thought we had more time. | 我以为我们有更多的时间。 |
[49:54] | She’s going to blow this, isn’t she? | 她会搞砸的,对吧? |
[49:56] | I think so. | 我想是的。 |
[49:59] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[50:00] | We’ve been renovating, moving everything around, | 我们一直在翻新,搬东西, |
[50:03] | which is why your books are down there and out of order. | 所以你的书才会在下面乱放。 |
[50:06] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心。 |
[50:08] | I’m Joanna. | 我是乔安娜。 |
[50:09] | I’m Margaret’s new assistant. | 我是玛格丽特的新助理。 |
[50:10] | And I’m such a huge fan of yours. | 我是你的超级粉丝。 |
[50:12] | – That’s very sweet of you. – Really nice to meet you. | —你真好。—很高兴认识你。 |
[50:15] | – Judy! – Hi! | —朱迪!—你好! |
[50:17] | How lovely to see you! Come into my office. | 见到你真高兴!到我办公室来。 |
[50:19] | Good! | 好! |
[50:22] | Please take a seat. | 请坐。 |
[50:24] | You know the way. | 你知道路。 |
[50:27] | So… | 所以…… |
[50:46] | I’m not sure it could attract readers… | 我不确定它能不能吸引读者…… |
[50:50] | Joanna? | 乔安娜? |
[50:52] | Why don’t you answer your phone? | 你为什么不接电话? |
[50:54] | There’s someone at the reception who wants to see you. | 接待处有人想见你。 |
[50:56] | Me? | 我吗? |
[51:06] | Are you Joanna Rakoff? | 你是乔安娜·拉科夫吗? |
[51:08] | – Yes! – Is that your real name? | —是的!—那是你的真名吗? |
[51:10] | It’s so ridiculous, it sounds fake. | 这太荒谬了,听起来很假。 |
[51:15] | You have no right to keep my letter from Salinger. | 你没有权利保留塞林格给我的信。 |
[51:17] | I’m sorry. Who are you? | 我很抱歉。你是谁? |
[51:19] | Because of you, I’m going to fail English! | 因为你,我英语要挂科了! |
[51:21] | Is everything all right here? | 一切都好吗? |
[51:23] | – Yes. – No. | —是的。—没有。 |
[51:25] | Why don’t we go downstairs and get a coffee, OK? | 我们下楼去喝杯咖啡,好吗? |
[51:27] | Joanna? | 乔安娜? |
[51:31] | Aren’t you supposed to be in school? | 你不是应该在学校吗? |
[51:33] | Who do you think you are? | 你以为你是谁啊? |
[51:34] | It’s my job here to answer Jerry’s mail. | 回复杰里的邮件是我的工作。 |
[51:37] | Oh, it’s Jerry to you? | 哦,对你来说是杰瑞? |
[51:39] | Is he your sugar daddy? | 他是你的糖爹吗? |
[51:40] | No, I… I’ve never even met him. OK? | 不,我……我从没见过他。好吗? |
[51:44] | Mr. Salinger does not want to receive his mail. | 塞林格先生不想收到他的邮件。 |
[51:47] | So instead you lecture me like you’re my mother. | 所以你就像我妈妈一样教训我。 |
[51:51] | You’re right. OK? | 你是对的。好吗? |
[51:53] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉。 |
[51:55] | I apologize. | 我道歉。 |
[51:56] | Your letter was different. | 你的信不一样。 |
[51:58] | And I thought you deserved a real response instead of our, | 我觉得你应该得到真正的回应,而不是我们, |
[52:01] | “I’m sorry we cannot pass along your kind note,” bullshit. | “很抱歉我们不能传递你的善意”之类的屁话。 |
[52:04] | So I wrote you something more personal. | 所以我给你写了一些更私人的东西。 |
[52:08] | What makes you think your advice | 什么使你认为你的建议 |
[52:09] | is better than some bullshit response? | 总比一些扯淡的回应好吧? |
[52:14] | I’m going to summer school. | 我要去上暑期班。 |
[52:16] | So thanks a lot, Miss Rakoff. | 非常感谢,拉科夫小姐。 |
[52:34] | You sent a personal letter to one of the fans, | 你给一个粉丝发了一封私人信件, |
[52:37] | and she came storming in here? | 她怒气冲冲地闯进来? |
[52:41] | Oh my gosh! | 哦我的天哪! |
[52:43] | Oh my gosh! | 哦我的天哪! |
[52:47] | Do you have any idea how many times, | 你知道有多少次, |
[52:49] | when I was answering Salinger’s letters, | 我给塞林格回信的时候, |
[52:51] | I wanted to write my own one back? | 我想写我自己的回信吗? |
[52:53] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[52:55] | Of course! | 当然! |
[52:56] | “Dear sir, obsess over another writer. | “亲爱的先生,迷恋另一个作家。 |
[52:58] | I hear Kurt Vonnegut answers his own fan mail!” | 我听说库尔特·冯内古特回复了他自己的粉丝来信!” |
[53:02] | Sometimes, you just wanna go: “Hey, loser!” | 有时候,你只想说:“嘿,失败者!” |
[53:05] | And… and then others… | 和……然后别人…… |
[53:09] | …they’re so engaging. | ……他们是如此的迷人。 |
[53:11] | You just want to champion them, you know? | 你只是想支持他们,知道吗? |
[53:13] | Yes, yes! Exactly! | 是的,是的!完全正确! |
[53:15] | Yeah. | 是的。 |
[53:18] | But you’ve crossed the line. | 但你已经越界了。 |
[53:20] | It’s a huge rabbit hole, ethically and legally. | 从道德和法律上讲,这都是一个巨大的兔子洞。 |
[53:24] | I’m taking you off Salinger’s mail. | 我要把你从塞林格的邮箱里撤掉。 |
[53:26] | – No, no. – Yes. | —不,不。—是的。 |
[53:28] | Hugh, please. I love these letters so much. | 请休。我太喜欢这些信了。 |
[53:30] | I promise you this won’t happen again. I promise. | 我保证这种事不会再发生了。我保证。 |
[53:34] | Judy? | 朱迪? |
[53:37] | Ah, crap! | 啊,糟了! |
[53:40] | It’s all over. | 一切都结束了。 |
[53:41] | Judy? | 朱迪? |
[53:42] | She’s leaving us. | 她离开我们。 |
[53:43] | For whom? | 为谁? |
[53:45] | Does it matter? | 这有关系吗? |
[53:46] | If I were Judy, I would have left too. | 如果我是朱迪,我也会离开的。 |
[53:49] | Joanna… | 乔安娜…… |
[53:51] | Why? | 为什么? |
[53:54] | Tell me, I’m curious. Why would you leave? | 告诉我,我很好奇。你为什么要离开? |
[53:57] | No, I’m really, really sorry. | 不,我真的很抱歉。 |
[53:58] | I didn’t mean that. I just, um… | 我不是那个意思。我只是,嗯…… |
[54:00] | I’m just sad to see her leave, that’s all. | 我只是舍不得她走,仅此而已。 |
[54:04] | Well, until you can articulate a reason that will enlighten us, | 在你说出一个能启发我们的理由之前, |
[54:09] | you can go back to typing your dictation. | 你可以继续打字听写了。 |
[54:12] | And fetch Daniel’s prescriptions when you’re done. | 等你做完了再去拿丹尼尔的处方。 |
[54:17] | Close the door! | 把门关上! |
[54:21] | For crying out loud! I can’t believe it! | 搞什么名堂!我简直不敢相信! |
[54:25] | I still don’t understand what the hell she’s thinking! | 我还是不明白她到底在想什么! |
[54:39] | OK, you think that when a man falls in love, | 好吧,你认为当一个男人坠入爱河, |
[54:41] | he doesn’t look at another woman, hmm? | 他不看别的女人,对吧? |
[54:43] | But I have news for you. | 但我要告诉你一个消息。 |
[54:45] | Every man in this world is looking at every woman | 这个世界上的每个男人都在注视着每个女人 |
[54:47] | and deciding weather or not she’s… | 决定天气好坏,她…… |
[54:49] | He wants to fuck her? | 他想上她? |
[54:51] | She’s sexy. Right? | 她很性感。对吧? |
[54:54] | Don, I think you might be in a hole | 唐,我觉得你有麻烦了 |
[54:57] | and you might wanna stop digging. | 你最好别再挖了。 |
[54:59] | You think women don’t look at other men? We do. | 你以为女人不看别的男人吗?我们所做的。 |
[55:02] | We even look at other women. | 我们甚至会看其他女人。 |
[55:04] | We just don’t drool while we do it. | 我们只是在做的时候不要流口水。 |
[55:08] | Buba, Buba… | 布巴,布巴…… |
[55:12] | I drool exclusively for you! | 我只为你流口水! |
[55:14] | Hmm? | 嗯? |
[55:17] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[55:18] | White wine? | 白葡萄酒? |
[55:18] | No thanks. I’m, uh… I’m gonna go. | 不,谢谢。我,呃……我要走了。 |
[55:21] | Don’t leave. | 不要离开。 |
[55:24] | Oh, I know. | 哦,我知道。 |
[55:26] | I, um, I actually came to give you this. | 我,我是来给你这个的。 |
[55:29] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[55:31] | It’s from Karl. | 这是卡尔。 |
[55:32] | He’s coming to Washington for a concert. | 他要来华盛顿听音乐会。 |
[55:35] | He really wants you to go. | 他真的很想让你去。 |
[55:37] | You’ve been in touch with Karl? | 你和卡尔有联系吗? |
[55:39] | He wrote you a letter, but you never answered. | 他给你写了封信,但你一直没有回信。 |
[55:47] | Wednesday in DC. | 星期三在华盛顿。 |
[55:49] | Yeah. | 是的。 |
[55:52] | What is it? | 它是什么? |
[55:54] | Someone should go to the meeting in Washington | 应该有人去华盛顿参加会议 |
[55:57] | with Clifford Bradbury, | 克利福德·布拉德伯里, |
[55:58] | make sure that he’s prepared | 确保他准备好了 |
[56:01] | and walk him through the agency’s protocol. | 给他讲讲局里的规章制度。 |
[56:05] | He did sound jittery on the phone. | 他在电话里听起来确实有些紧张不安。 |
[56:08] | I can’t leave New York. | 我不能离开纽约。 |
[56:09] | But I suppose I could send… | 但我想我可以派…… |
[56:10] | Me! | 我! |
[56:12] | – You? – Send me! | —你呢?—给我! |
[56:15] | Why? | 为什么? |
[56:18] | Take notes and assist Clifford. | 做笔记,帮助克利福德。 |
[56:21] | Just let me do this for the agency. | 就让我为中情局这么做吧。 |
[56:24] | Uh… | 嗯…… |
[56:27] | You are to go to Washington, | 你要去华盛顿 |
[56:30] | be the agency’s eyes and ears, | 做中情局的耳目 |
[56:32] | find out who this Clifford person is. | 找出这个叫克利福德的人是谁。 |
[56:34] | You are to meet with him beforehand | 你要事先和他见面 |
[56:36] | and debrief him afterwards, | 然后向他汇报, |
[56:37] | but you are not to meet with Jerry. | 但你不能见杰瑞。 |
[56:39] | Jerry must think they are meeting on their own. | 杰瑞一定以为他们是自己见面的。 |
[56:41] | Understood? | 理解吗? |
[56:43] | You will not regret this. | 你不会后悔的。 |
[56:44] | We’ll see about that. | 我们走着瞧吧。 |
[56:49] | Hey! Wait! | 嘿!等等! |
[56:51] | I’ve got a… got a gift for you. | 我有一个……我有礼物给你。 |
[56:55] | My birthday was 2 months ago. | 我的生日是两个月前。 |
[56:58] | Oh, well, birthdays are for Hallmark. | 哦,生日是给Hallmark的。 |
[57:01] | It’s, uh… | 这是,呃…… |
[57:03] | It’s my novel. | 这是我的小说。 |
[57:06] | You finished it? | 你做完了吗? |
[57:09] | What, don’t you want to read it? | 怎么,你不想看吗? |
[57:11] | Uh, of course I do! Yeah! | 我当然知道!是啊! |
[57:15] | Thanks! | 谢谢! |
[57:18] | Congrats! | 恭喜! |
[57:53] | Mr. Bradbury? | 布拉德伯里先生吗? |
[57:55] | Yes, Joanna! | 是的,乔安娜! |
[57:56] | – Hi! – Hi! | —你好!—你好! |
[57:58] | – Nice to meet you. – And you. | —很高兴见到你。—你。 |
[58:00] | I’ve widened the spine, see, | 我拓宽了脊椎,看, |
[58:02] | to give the book some length because it’s too thin. | 这本书太薄了,不能再长了。 |
[58:04] | I also re-typed it all from The New Yorker. | 我还重新输入了《纽约客》。 |
[58:06] | I didn’t scan it. | 我没有扫描。 |
[58:08] | And good thing too, because there were a few small typos. | 还有件好事,因为有一些小的拼写错误。 |
[58:11] | The New Yorker doesn’t make typos! | 《纽约客》不打错字! |
[58:13] | Oh, yes! Small ones, but typos still. | 哦,是的!小的,但还是有拼写错误。 |
[58:17] | Salinger is such a stickler for details. | 塞林格是一个如此执着细节的人。 |
[58:19] | I made two mock-ups. | 我做了两个模型。 |
[58:20] | Wow! | 哇! |
[58:22] | Do you think I should have made more? | 你觉得我应该多做点吗? |
[58:23] | No. | 不。 |
[58:24] | Oh, I think I should have made more, yeah. | 我想我应该多做点的。 |
[58:27] | Mr. Bradbury, it’s gonna go very well. | 布拉德伯里先生,一切都会很顺利的。 |
[58:30] | Just forget everything that you’ve heard about Mr. Salinger. | 忘掉你听到的关于塞林格先生的一切吧。 |
[58:33] | I think that you’ll find that he’s very straightforward. | 我想你会发现他很直率。 |
[58:36] | It’s important that you just be yourself. | 做你自己很重要。 |
[1:00:08] | What happened? | 发生了什么事? |
[1:00:11] | Jerry Salinger paid for my lunch! | 杰里·塞林格付了我的午餐钱! |
[1:00:13] | But how did it go? | 但结果如何呢? |
[1:00:16] | We agreed on everything. | 我们什么都同意。 |
[1:00:18] | That’s great! | 太好了! |
[1:00:22] | I guess I just missed him then, huh? | 我想我只是想他了? |
[1:00:23] | Except the typos. | 除了拼写错误。 |
[1:00:25] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[1:00:26] | He did not want me to correct them. | 他不想让我纠正他们。 |
[1:00:28] | Yeah, he seemed peeved that I fixed them. | 是啊,我修好了,他好像很生气。 |
[1:00:30] | I thought, at one point, | 我一度想, |
[1:00:32] | he’d say: “Let’s forget the whole thing.” | 他会说:“让我们把整件事都忘了吧。” |
[1:00:33] | Did he say why? | 他说为什么了吗? |
[1:00:35] | He wants it printed exactly as it ran in The New Yorker, | 他想把它完全印在《纽约客》, |
[1:00:38] | as if the typos were actually intentional. | 好像这些错字是故意的。 |
[1:00:41] | It makes no sense. | 这毫无意义。 |
[1:00:42] | Hey. | 嘿。 |
[1:00:44] | Don’t fix any more typos. | 不要再修改拼写错误了。 |
[1:00:46] | Don’t tell anybody about the book. | 不要告诉任何人关于这本书的事。 |
[1:00:48] | No interviews. That would ruin the whole deal. | 没有面试。那会毁了整个交易。 |
[1:00:51] | Yeah, we don’t want to do that. | 是啊,我们可不想这么做。 |
[1:00:53] | Great work, Mr. Bradbury! | 干得好,布拉德伯里先生! |
[1:00:55] | My boss is going to be very pleased, OK? | 我的老板会很高兴的,好吗? |
[1:00:57] | Bye! | 再见! |
[1:01:48] | – Jo! – Hi! | —乔!—你好! |
[1:01:52] | You got my invitation. | 你收到我的邀请了。 |
[1:01:56] | Yeah. | 是的。 |
[1:01:58] | Uh, I’m… I’m so glad you’re here. | 呃,我……我很高兴你能来。 |
[1:02:01] | You look great! | 你看起来太棒了! |
[1:02:02] | So do you! | 所以你! |
[1:02:11] | I’m glad you’re here, Jo. I’ve been wanting to apologize. | 我很高兴你来了,乔。我一直想跟你道歉。 |
[1:02:14] | What? | 什么? |
[1:02:17] | I was angry when I sent you the letter. | 我给你寄那封信时很生气。 |
[1:02:19] | I wrote stuff I didn’t mean. | 我写的东西不是我的本意。 |
[1:02:21] | No, don’t apologize. You should be angry. | 不,不要道歉。你应该生气。 |
[1:02:23] | I’m… I’m angry at you for not being angry at me. | 我……你没生我的气,我很生气。 |
[1:02:26] | I’m… I’m not angry, and that’s absurd, by the way. | 我……我没有生气,顺便说一句,这很荒谬。 |
[1:02:33] | You hurt me, and I needed to unleash. | 你伤害了我,我需要释放。 |
[1:02:35] | I deserved a proper break-up, you know. | 我应该好好分手,你知道的。 |
[1:02:41] | You know, “Karl, I’m leaving you,” | “卡尔,我要离开你了” |
[1:02:43] | you know, the usual stuff. | 你知道的,平常的事。 |
[1:02:45] | Yeah… | 是的…… |
[1:02:48] | – The usual stuff. – Mm-hmm. | —一般的东西。—嗯。 |
[1:02:51] | The apartment felt depressing when you left. | 当你离开时,这个公寓感觉很压抑。 |
[1:02:55] | I didn’t read… I didn’t read your letter. | 我没读……我没有读你的信。 |
[1:02:58] | Oh, wh-why? | 哦,为—为什么吗? |
[1:03:01] | No, I, um… | 不,我,嗯…… |
[1:03:04] | I couldn’t make it past Jo. | 我没法从乔身边走过去。 |
[1:03:07] | Nobody else calls me Jo, so… | 没人叫我乔,所以…… |
[1:03:13] | I want you back in my life. | 我想让你回到我的生活中。 |
[1:03:17] | You know, even if it’s just a phone call | 就算只是打个电话 |
[1:03:19] | every once in a while. | 偶尔。 |
[1:03:21] | You were my best friend. | 你是我最好的朋友。 |
[1:03:25] | I miss you, Jo. | 我想你,乔。 |
[1:03:57] | I miss you too. | 我也想你。 |
[1:04:40] | I’ve learned that, as phony as it may be, | 我明白了,虽然很假, |
[1:04:43] | you can’t go around revealing your goddamn emotions | 你不能到处表露你该死的情绪 |
[1:04:47] | to the world. | 向世界。 |
[1:04:48] | Most people don’t give a flying hoot | 大多数人根本不在乎 |
[1:04:50] | about, like, what you think and feel | 关于你的想法和感受 |
[1:04:53] | most of the time, I guess. | 大多数时候,我想。 |
[1:04:56] | And if they see a weakness… | 如果他们看到了你的弱点…… |
[1:04:58] | I mean, why, for God’s sake, is showing emotion a weakness? | 我是说,看在上帝的份上,为什么流露情感就是一种软弱? |
[1:05:03] | Boy, do they jump all over you, right? | 天啊,他们会扑到你身上,对吧? |
[1:05:07] | They seem to get right in your goddamn face and… | 它们似乎就在你该死的脸上,然后…… |
[1:05:11] | …revel in the fact that you are actually feeling something. | ……陶醉在你确实有感觉的事实中。 |
[1:05:20] | Is it good? | 是好吗? |
[1:05:23] | What? | 什么? |
[1:05:24] | The manuscript, is it good? | 手稿,好吗? |
[1:05:28] | It’s interesting. | 这很有趣。 |
[1:05:31] | But you hate it? | 但你讨厌它? |
[1:05:34] | I don’t… I don’t hate it. | 我不……我不讨厌它。 |
[1:05:38] | Or maybe I do hate it, and that’s why it’s good. | 也许我真的很讨厌它,所以它很好。 |
[1:05:44] | It’s weirdly addictive. | 这是古怪上瘾。 |
[1:05:45] | But… | 但是…… |
[1:05:47] | I don’t want to read about his sex life. | 我不想读他的性生活。 |
[1:05:49] | No one wants to read about his sex life. | 没人想读他的性生活。 |
[1:05:54] | Maybe I’m just annoyed by his nonchalance. | 也许我只是被他的冷淡惹恼了。 |
[1:05:58] | Or because… | 还是因为…… |
[1:06:04] | He’s writing and I’m not. | 他在写作,而我没有。 |
[1:06:41] | I understand. | 我明白了。 |
[1:06:48] | What’s going on? | 这是怎么呢 |
[1:06:50] | Shhh! | 嘘! |
[1:06:51] | Well, keep us posted and thank you. | 有消息随时通知我们,谢谢。 |
[1:07:02] | Apparently, he shot himself. | 显然,他开枪自杀了。 |
[1:07:05] | Wait, who… who shot himself? | 等等,谁……谁开枪自杀? |
[1:07:06] | Daniel, Joanna. | 丹尼尔,乔安娜。 |
[1:07:08] | Daniel committed suicide. | 丹尼尔自杀了。 |
[1:07:11] | The Daniel? | 丹尼尔? |
[1:07:13] | In the living room, while Margaret was in the bedroom. | 在客厅,而玛格丽特在卧室。 |
[1:07:17] | This can’t be right! Daniel is a beautiful man. | 这不可能!丹尼尔是一个漂亮的男人。 |
[1:07:21] | He’s sweet and he’s kind and… This can’t be happening! | 他很贴心,很善良,而且……这不可能! |
[1:07:27] | But he looked fine! | 但是他看起来很好! |
[1:07:29] | He was bipolar. | 他是双相。 |
[1:07:30] | Margaret took care of him all these years. | 这些年来玛格丽特一直照顾他。 |
[1:07:32] | He was her brother? | 他是她哥哥? |
[1:07:34] | Lover. | 的爱人。 |
[1:07:36] | Of 20 years. | 的20年。 |
[1:07:39] | Wait, are we talking about the same Daniel? | 等等,我们说的是同一个丹尼尔吗? |
[1:07:41] | Daniel was married to Helen, whom you’ve met. | 丹尼尔和海伦结过婚,你见过她。 |
[1:07:44] | He lived half the week with Helen | 他和海伦住了半个星期 |
[1:07:47] | and the other half with Margaret. | 另一半和玛格丽特一起。 |
[1:07:49] | They… shared his care. | 他们……分享了他的关心。 |
[1:07:52] | They shared him. | 他们分享他。 |
[1:07:58] | Margaret shared a man with another woman? | 玛格丽特和另一个女人共用一个男人? |
[1:08:01] | Joanna, if anyone calls, | 乔安娜,如果有人打电话来, |
[1:08:03] | tell them she’s working from home and take a message, | 告诉他们她在家工作,留个口信, |
[1:08:06] | and no mention of this. | 没有提到这个。 |
[1:08:09] | What about if it’s Jerry? | 如果是杰瑞呢? |
[1:08:11] | Especially if it’s Jerry. | 尤其是如果是杰瑞。 |
[1:08:41] | Can you please do that some other time? | 你能改天再做吗? |
[1:08:44] | Fine. | 很好。 |
[1:08:50] | Thanks. | 谢谢。 |
[1:09:15] | Margaret’s office. Joanna speaking. | 玛格丽特的办公室。乔安娜说。 |
[1:09:17] | Hi, Joanna! It’s Jerry. How are you? | 嗨,乔安娜!这是杰里。你好吗? |
[1:09:20] | Hi! I’m well. How are you? | 你好!我很好。你好吗? |
[1:09:22] | How is the weather down there? | 那里的天气怎么样? |
[1:09:23] | Muggy. | 闷热。 |
[1:09:25] | Is your boss around? | 你的老板在吗? |
[1:09:27] | No, I’m afraid she’s out. | 没有,恐怕她出去了。 |
[1:09:29] | She’s been out a lot lately. | 她最近经常出去呀。 |
[1:09:32] | Yeah, she’s very busy, lots of meetings. | 是啊,她很忙,有很多会议。 |
[1:09:36] | Is there anything I can help you with? | 有什么我可以帮忙的吗? |
[1:09:38] | Let me ask you something. | 我来问你点事。 |
[1:09:40] | This, uh, Clifford Bradbury fellow… | 这个叫克利福德·布拉德伯里的家伙…… |
[1:09:43] | Sure. | 确定。 |
[1:09:45] | What do you make of him? | 你觉得他怎么样? |
[1:09:46] | I like him. | 我喜欢他。 |
[1:09:47] | Sometimes, I think he can overthink things, | 有时候,我觉得他会想太多, |
[1:09:50] | but he just doesn’t want to let you down. | 但他只是不想让你失望。 |
[1:09:53] | Have you been writing every day? | 你每天都写吗? |
[1:09:56] | A lot of days. | 大多数日子 |
[1:09:58] | They’ve given me more responsibility around here, | 他们让我负责这里 。 |
[1:10:01] | so I’ve been reading manuscripts! | 所以我一直在读手稿! |
[1:10:03] | You’re a writer, Joanna, aren’t you? | 乔安娜,你是一名作家,对吗 |
[1:10:06] | Not an agent, not a secretary. | 非代理,非秘书 |
[1:10:12] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[1:10:13] | Sorry, I missed that. | 抱歉,我错过了 |
[1:10:15] | I’m a little deaf. | 我有点听不清 。 |
[1:10:18] | Yes, um, yes! | 是的,嗯,是的! |
[1:10:22] | I’m a writer. | 我是一个作家。 |
[1:10:23] | So write! | 这么写! |
[1:10:25] | Even if it’s just 15 minutes in the morning. | 即使早上只有15分钟。 |
[1:10:28] | Protect that sanctuary, OK? | 保护圣殿,好吗? |
[1:10:31] | Don’t get stuck answering the phone, Joanna. | 乔安娜,别老是接电话 |
[1:10:34] | You’re a poet! | 你是一个诗人。 |
[1:11:07] | – Hey! – Hey, Mark! | —嘿!—嘿,马克! |
[1:11:21] | What is it like, working for The New Yorker? | 为《纽约客》工作是什么感觉 |
[1:11:24] | Well, why don’t you come by the office one day? | 那你何不哪天到我办公室来一趟? |
[1:11:27] | We’ll show you around. | 我们带你四处看看。 |
[1:11:29] | I would like that very much! | 我非常愿意! |
[1:11:31] | Do you write yourself? | 你自己写作吗? |
[1:11:33] | Uh… | 嗯…… |
[1:11:36] | It’s OK! We won’t tell your boss! | 没关系!我们不会告诉你老板的! |
[1:11:39] | I… I’ve published two poems in The Paris Review, | 我……我已经在《巴黎评论》上发表了两首诗 |
[1:11:42] | and I’m working on some new material. | 我正在创作一些新作品。 |
[1:11:44] | Uh, well, we’d be happy to take look at your material | 嗯,我们很乐意看看你的材料 |
[1:11:47] | when you feel it’s ready. | 当你觉得它准备好了。 |
[1:11:50] | That would be great. | 那太好了。 |
[1:11:51] | That would be really great, yeah. | 那真是太好了。 |
[1:11:53] | Let’s cheers to that. | 让我们为此干杯。 |
[1:11:54] | OK! | 好的! |
[1:11:55] | Well, the satirical stuff, I like. | 我喜欢讽刺的东西。 |
[1:11:58] | I know, but The New Yorker’s fiction is a joke. | 我知道,但是《纽约客》的小说是个笑话。 |
[1:12:00] | And that soppy “Talk of the Town” thing? | 还有那个伤感的”街谈巷议“吗? |
[1:12:04] | Don… | 不…… |
[1:12:05] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 哦,我很抱歉。 |
[1:12:06] | I know you love that shit, that… | 我知道你喜欢那个…… |
[1:12:08] | “Oh, let’s all go meet up at the Algonquin. | “哦,我们一起去阿尔冈昆见吧。 |
[1:12:11] | I do so wish you could join us,” bullshit. | 我真希望你能加入我们” 胡说。 |
[1:12:17] | So when’s the wedding? | 婚礼什么时候举行? |
[1:12:23] | It’s, uh, it’s Columbus Day weekend, right? | 今天是哥伦布日周末,对吧? |
[1:12:27] | Or… or am I making… am I making that up? | 还是……还是我在做……这是我编的吗? |
[1:12:30] | It’s next weekend, Don. | 是下周末,唐。 |
[1:12:32] | Joanna, you’re coming, right? | 乔安娜,你会来吧? |
[1:12:34] | Yeah, yeah… | 是的,是的…… |
[1:12:36] | Excited! | 兴奋! |
[1:12:40] | You’re an asshole. You know that, right? | 你这缺德鬼。你知道的,对吧? |
[1:12:43] | Uh… | 嗯…… |
[1:12:47] | I knew that if I told you about it, | 我知道如果我告诉你, |
[1:12:49] | you’d start planning, | 你开始计划, |
[1:12:50] | like: “Let’s rent a car. Let’s stay in this B&B. | 比如:“我们租一辆车吧。”我们就住在这家旅馆里吧。 |
[1:12:53] | What am I gonna wear?” | 我穿什么好呢?” |
[1:12:54] | And then you’d buy that dress and you’d make all these plans, | 然后你买了那条裙子,然后做了所有这些计划, |
[1:12:57] | and then you flip out at me | 然后你就冲我发火 |
[1:12:58] | when I told you that I wanted to go alone. | 当我告诉你我想一个人去的时候。 |
[1:13:04] | You wanna go to your best friend’s wedding alone? | 你想一个人去你最好朋友的婚礼吗? |
[1:13:07] | OK, listen, | 好吧,听着, |
[1:13:08] | I don’t need to justify myself to you, all right? | 我不需要向你证明自己,好吗? |
[1:13:10] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[1:13:11] | Really, Buba! | 真的,布巴! |
[1:13:12] | All my bros from Hartford will be there. | 我在哈特福德的兄弟们都会去。 |
[1:13:14] | It’s gonna be the end of an era. | 这将是一个时代的终结。 |
[1:13:16] | And I don’t want to have to worry | 我不想再担心了 |
[1:13:18] | about whether you’re having fun or not. | 你玩得开心不开心。 |
[1:13:24] | Right! | 没错! |
[1:13:25] | Maybe you’ll meet some hot blonde | 也许你会遇到性感的金发女郎 |
[1:13:28] | that wants you to rip her panties off | 想让你扯掉她的内裤 |
[1:13:30] | and fuck her up the ass | 然后操她的屁股 |
[1:13:30] | and write an unreadable story about her! | 写一篇关于她的难以读懂的故事! |
[1:13:34] | What? Wow! | 什么?哇! |
[1:13:35] | Where is this coming from? | 这是怎么回事? |
[1:13:36] | Where is the sweet, naive girl I met last Christmas? | 去年圣诞节我遇到的那个甜美天真的女孩在哪里? |
[1:13:38] | ‘Cause you know what? | 因为你知道吗? |
[1:13:40] | I’d like her back, please, Buba. | 我希望她能回来,拜托了,布巴。 |
[1:13:41] | Stop calling me Buba, OK? I’m not a child! | 别叫我布巴,好吗?我又不是小孩子! |
[1:13:44] | I call you Buba because I love you. | 我叫你布巴是因为我爱你。 |
[1:13:47] | It’s what my grandmother calls my mom. | 我祖母就是这么称呼我妈妈的。 |
[1:13:52] | You love me? | 你爱我吗? |
[1:13:53] | Of course! | 当然! |
[1:13:55] | I mean, would I be here if I didn’t? | 我是说,如果我没有,我还会在这里吗? |
[1:13:58] | I told you I’ve never lived with a girl before. You changed me. | 我跟你说了,我从没跟女孩住过。你改变了我。 |
[1:14:03] | You love me, | 你爱我, |
[1:14:05] | but you don’t want to me to go to Mark’s wedding? | 但你不想让我去参加马克的婚礼? |
[1:14:07] | Correct. | 正确的。 |
[1:14:16] | Look, I am older than you. | 听着,我比你大。 |
[1:14:18] | I try not to remind you of this, but it is true. | 我尽量不去提醒你,但这是真的。 |
[1:14:20] | All right? | 好吧? |
[1:14:22] | And one day, when you’re my age, | 有一天,当你到了我这个年纪, |
[1:14:23] | you’ll realize that two people can love each other | 你会发现两个人是可以相爱的 |
[1:14:25] | and not agree on everything | 并不是每件事都达成一致 |
[1:14:27] | and not have to do everything together. | 不用什么事都一起做。 |
[1:14:45] | You think I should pack a tie? | 你觉得我应该带条领带吗? |
[1:14:50] | Buba? You’re good with this kind of thing. | 布巴?你很擅长这种事。 |
[1:14:53] | Like, I don’t have a suit, | 比如,我没有西装 |
[1:14:55] | so you think… you think just a shirt and a tie? | 所以你认为……你以为只要一件衬衫和一条领带就行了吗? |
[1:15:01] | You’re depressed. | 你沮丧。 |
[1:15:04] | I swear, I mean, I… I recognize the symptoms. | 我发誓,我是说……我知道这些症状 |
[1:15:08] | I get like that when I’m emotional. | 我一激动就会这样。 |
[1:15:10] | And, well, I can get quite emotional. | 而且,我有时会很情绪化。 |
[1:15:15] | I’m not depressed. | 我不沮丧。 |
[1:15:16] | Hmm. | 嗯。 |
[1:15:18] | I’m a very happy person. | 我是一个非常快乐的人。 |
[1:15:20] | What? | 什么? |
[1:15:23] | Nothing. | 什么都没有。 |
[1:15:29] | Am I gonna get a kiss goodbye? | 我会得到一个吻别吗? |
[1:15:40] | All right. Goodbye, Joanna! | 好吧。再见,乔安娜! |
[1:16:14] | “I think about Holden a lot. | “我经常会想到霍尔顿(麦田守护者的主人公) |
[1:16:17] | “When I first think about him, I get a stupid grin on my face, | “当我第一次想起他,我就傻笑起来, |
[1:16:21] | “you know, thinking about what a funny guy he is and all. | 你知道,想想他是一个多么有趣的人。 |
[1:16:25] | “But then I usually get depressed as hell, | “但我通常会非常沮丧, |
[1:16:28] | “because I only think about Holden | “因为我只想到霍尔顿 |
[1:16:31] | “when I’m feeling very emotional. | “当我情绪激动的时候。 |
[1:16:34] | I can get ‘quiet’ emotional.” | 我可以变得‘安静’。” |
[1:16:42] | That’s what I had become… | 于是我也变成了这样子, |
[1:16:46] | quiet emotional. | 安静的情感。 |
[1:16:59] | Dear boy from Winston-Salem… | 亲爱的男孩从温斯顿塞勒姆 |
[1:17:03] | My most profound apologies for taking so long to reply. | 我非常抱歉这么久才回复你。 |
[1:17:08] | I’ve been thinking about your letters for months. | 我已经想了几个月你的信了。 |
[1:17:11] | I suppose that… | 我想…… |
[1:17:14] | I too can get quite emotional about things sometimes. | 我有时也会很情绪化。 |
[1:17:21] | But you’re right. | 但你是对的。 |
[1:17:23] | You can’t go around revealing your goddamn emotions | 你不能到处表露你该死的情绪 |
[1:17:26] | to the world. | 向世界。 |
[1:17:29] | But if you can’t reveal your emotions to the world, | 但如果你不能向世界展示你的情感, |
[1:17:32] | then what are you supposed to do with them? | 那你该怎么处理它们? |
[1:17:34] | How do you go on? | 你怎么继续下去? |
[1:17:37] | ‘Cause… | 因为…… |
[1:17:41] | I feel like crying all the time. | 我总是想哭。 |
[1:18:33] | Joanna? What is it? | 乔安娜?它是什么? |
[1:18:36] | Has something happened at the agency? | 局里出什么事了吗? |
[1:18:37] | No, no, no! Everything’s fine. | 不,不,不!一切都很好。 |
[1:18:41] | I brought you these and some soup from Mangia. | 我给你带了这个还有芒果汤。 |
[1:18:44] | I know you like their mushroom barley. | 我知道你喜欢他们的蘑菇大麦。 |
[1:18:47] | That’s very thoughtful. | 这是很周到。 |
[1:18:50] | You do pay attention, don’t you? | 你确实注意到了,不是吗? |
[1:19:06] | You did a fine job on those contracts. | 你在那些合同上做得很好。 |
[1:19:10] | Those electronic clauses, | 这些电子条款, |
[1:19:13] | they’ll be the death of publishing. | 他们将是出版业的死亡。 |
[1:19:18] | On the other hand, engaging with Jerry’s fans | 另一方面,与杰瑞的粉丝互动 |
[1:19:21] | was irresponsible, immature and dangerous. | 不负责任、不成熟和危险。 |
[1:19:24] | You know about that? | 你知道吗? |
[1:19:25] | I have fired assistants for less. | 我曾经因为更少的薪水解雇过助理。 |
[1:19:29] | Why didn’t you fire me? | 你为什么不解雇我? |
[1:19:31] | Because it’s highly unlikely | 因为这是非常不可能的 |
[1:19:33] | you will make the same mistake twice. | 同样的错误你会犯两次。 |
[1:19:35] | Also, Jerry likes you. | 还有,杰瑞喜欢你。 |
[1:19:37] | I am reluctant to alter his routine. | 我不愿意改变他的日常生活习惯。 |
[1:19:40] | I don’t want to be a routine. | 我不想成为例行公事。 |
[1:19:47] | I, uh… | 我,嗯…… |
[1:19:49] | I have a couple of stories… | 我有几个故事…… |
[1:19:52] | from long-term clients. | 从长期的客户。 |
[1:19:55] | Read them, | 阅读它们, |
[1:19:58] | and, uh, figure out which magazines they’d be right for | 再看看适合哪本杂志 |
[1:20:01] | and send them out. | 然后把他们送出去。 |
[1:20:09] | What if I don’t like them? | 如果我不喜欢他们怎么办? |
[1:20:10] | Then it’s your job to figure out who will. | 那你的任务就是找出谁会。 |
[1:20:12] | Right. | 正确的。 |
[1:20:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢你! |
[1:20:19] | Better get back to the office. | 最好回办公室去。 |
[1:20:21] | Why do you think Judy Blume left? | 你觉得朱迪·布卢姆为什么离开? |
[1:20:24] | I’m sorry that I said that. | 很抱歉我说了那些话。 |
[1:20:27] | No, please, I would like to know what you think. | 不,拜托,我想知道你是怎么想的。 |
[1:20:42] | When you met with Judy, did you discuss her writing? | 你和朱迪见面时,有没有讨论过她的写作? |
[1:20:47] | The quality of her writing was never an issue. | 她的写作质量从来都不是问题。 |
[1:20:52] | Maybe she wasn’t looking for the perfect sales pitch. | 也许她并不是在寻找完美的推销说辞。 |
[1:20:57] | Maybe she just wanted… | 也许她只是想…… |
[1:21:00] | to hear what you thought about the story, | 听听你对这个故事的看法, |
[1:21:03] | what it meant to you. | 它对你的意义。 |
[1:21:07] | Or if you love books the same way that she loves them. | 或者你是否像她一样爱书。 |
[1:21:11] | I’m not sure my love of books was relevant to that discussion. | 我不确定我对书的热爱与这个讨论有关。 |
[1:21:14] | Maybe it was relevant to her. | 也许和她有关。 |
[1:21:20] | I know it would be to me. | 我知道对我来说是这样的。 |
[1:21:24] | Oh… | 哦…… |
[1:21:28] | You know, I sold my first book when I was in my 20s. | 你知道吗,我在20多岁的时候卖掉了我的第一本书。 |
[1:21:32] | It was about this young woman journalist | 是关于一个年轻女记者的 |
[1:21:35] | in the Spanish Civil War, | 在西班牙内战中 |
[1:21:37] | and it was actually written by a man. | 实际上是一个男人写的。 |
[1:21:40] | And yet he seemed to understand intimately | 然而,他似乎深谙其中之道 |
[1:21:44] | what it would be like for her as a woman. | 她作为一个女人会是什么样子。 |
[1:21:47] | Anyway, I sold the book. | 不管怎样,我把书卖了。 |
[1:21:51] | And then my boss said that I should represent the author. | 然后我老板说我应该代表作者。 |
[1:21:55] | And naturally, I said yes. | 我很自然地答应了。 |
[1:21:57] | And then, like, right away, I started to get nervous, | 然后,马上,我就开始紧张了, |
[1:22:01] | almost panicky. | 几乎恐慌。 |
[1:22:03] | And what if… | 如果…… |
[1:22:06] | what if the author disappointed me as a person? | 如果作者让我失望了怎么办? |
[1:22:09] | And what if I liked the writing, but not him? | 如果我喜欢他的作品,而不喜欢他呢? |
[1:22:14] | And it was about 3 weeks later, | 大约三周后, |
[1:22:17] | we met for lunch at Elaine’s. | 我们在伊莱恩家吃午饭。 |
[1:22:19] | And at 9:00 p.m., we were still there. | 晚上九点的时候,我们还在那里。 |
[1:22:24] | Yeah, just laughing and talking and, yeah, | 是啊,只是说说笑笑, |
[1:22:28] | sharing our aspirations and our… our love of music… | 分享我们的抱负和我们的……我们对音乐的热爱…… |
[1:22:34] | our love of books. | 我们对书籍的热爱。 |
[1:22:39] | Daniel? | 丹尼尔? |
[1:22:42] | Yeah, Daniel. | 是的,丹尼尔。 |
[1:22:55] | My condolences, Margaret. | 我的慰问,玛格丽特。 |
[1:22:58] | I’ll pull my socks up. | 我要把袜子穿上。 |
[1:23:04] | Oh! | 哦! |
[1:23:45] | For months, I had been touched by anonymous fans, | 几个月来,我一直被匿名的粉丝所感动, |
[1:23:49] | touched by their desire to connect with Salinger. | 被他们想和塞林格联系的欲望所感动 |
[1:23:54] | Their letters had changed me. | 他们的来信改变了我 |
[1:24:00] | The time had come to see for myself what had moved them. | 是时候亲自看看是什么感动了他们 |
[1:24:19] | Salinger’s nothing like I thought. Nothing. | 塞林格不是我想的那样。完全不是。 |
[1:24:26] | He’s brutal, brutal and funny, and I love it. | 他是不理性的,但是很有趣,我喜欢。 |
[1:24:30] | I love Franny the most. | 我最喜欢弗兰妮(《弗兰妮与祖伊》中主人公)。 |
[1:24:34] | There’s that moment when the guy in Princeton | 有一个片段是那个普林斯顿的家伙 |
[1:24:36] | is waiting for Franny at the train station, | 在火车站等弗兰妮, |
[1:24:38] | and he has the letter in his pocket, Franny’s letter. | 他口袋里放着弗兰妮的信。 |
[1:24:42] | And he’s read it a thousand times. | 他读了上千遍。 |
[1:24:45] | He knows it by heart, | 他心里也知道, |
[1:24:47] | but when she gets off the train and asks, | 但是当她下火车时,还是问道, |
[1:24:50] | “Did you get my letter,” | “你收到我的信了吗? |
[1:24:51] | he says… | 他说…… |
[1:24:53] | Which letter? | 这封信吗? |
[1:26:52] | Hey, Buba! | 嘿,布巴! |
[1:26:56] | I thought you’d be at work. | 我以为你去上班了。 |
[1:26:59] | I took the morning off. | 我早上休息了。 |
[1:27:01] | You know, I missed you, Buba. | 知道吗,我很想你,布巴。 |
[1:27:04] | Hmm? | 嗯? |
[1:27:16] | Are you going somewhere? | 你要去什么地方吗? |
[1:27:20] | I’m leaving you, Don. | 我要离开你了,唐。 |
[1:27:26] | Y… | 是的…… |
[1:27:27] | I get it! This is about the wedding! | 我得到它!这是关于婚礼的! |
[1:27:29] | Something hit me while you were gone. | 你不在的时候,有件事触动了我。 |
[1:27:31] | Why are you making a thing out of this? | 你为什么要小题大做? |
[1:27:33] | Listen to me, something hit me while you were gone! | 听我说,你不在的时候,有东西击中了我! |
[1:27:35] | What, that you never really engaged? | 什么,你从来没有真正订婚? |
[1:27:36] | – I didn’t miss you. – What? | —我没想你。—什么? |
[1:27:38] | I didn’t think about you, not for one second. | 我没有想过你,一秒钟都没有。 |
[1:27:42] | OK, so you needed some time on your own. I get that. | 好吧,你需要一个人静一静。我得到了它。 |
[1:27:44] | You can keep the apartment, all right? | 你可以留着公寓,好吗? |
[1:27:46] | You need it more than I do. | 你比我更需要它。 |
[1:27:47] | So you’re gonna give me | 所以你要给我 |
[1:27:49] | the, “Sorry, it’s not you, it’s me,” bullshit? | “抱歉,不是你的错,是我的错”之类的屁话? |
[1:27:51] | I should have broke up with you before. | 我早该和你分手的。 |
[1:27:53] | I’m not in love with you. | 我没有爱上你。 |
[1:27:55] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉。 |
[1:28:28] | Thanks. | 谢谢。 |
[1:29:47] | I knew you could do it! | 我就知道你能行! |
[1:29:49] | I knew it! Come with me! | 我就知道!跟我来! |
[1:29:51] | Hugh! Stop doing what you’re doing! | 休!停止你正在做的事! |
[1:29:55] | Max, we’re coming into your sanctum! | 麦克斯,我们要去你的密室了! |
[1:29:57] | I have an announcement to make! | 我要宣布一件事! |
[1:29:59] | What is it? | 它是什么? |
[1:30:00] | Joanna has sold a story I gave her this summer. | 乔安娜卖掉了我今年夏天给她的一篇文章。 |
[1:30:03] | – Congratulations! – Oh! Not surprised! Good job! | —恭喜你!—哦!不惊讶!好工作! |
[1:30:07] | – You’re on your way. – Of course she is! | —你在路上了。—她当然是! |
[1:30:09] | I knew the moment you walked through the door | 你一进门我就知道了 |
[1:30:11] | that you were agency material. | 你是优秀代理的材料 |
[1:30:13] | Now you can start to build your very own client list, | 现在你可以开始建立自己的客户列表了, |
[1:30:17] | a most exciting feeling for an agent. | 对代理来说是最激动人心的感觉。 |
[1:30:19] | Isn’t that right, Max? | 对吧,麦克斯? |
[1:30:20] | For once, I have to agree with Margaret, yes. | 这一次,我同意玛格丽特的观点,是的。 |
[1:30:23] | We will celebrate at lunch. | 我们将在午餐时庆祝。 |
[1:30:25] | Hope you like martinis! | 希望你喜欢马提尼! |
[1:30:26] | – Oh, she’ll learn to like them. – There you go! | —她会学着喜欢的。—这就对了! |
[1:31:07] | You know, we have some authors | 你知道,我们有一些作者 |
[1:31:10] | who would prefer to be with you, I think, | 我想他们更愿意和你在一起, |
[1:31:12] | than an old fogey like me. | 比像我这样的老顽固强多了 |
[1:31:15] | Some people I think you’ll like. | 有些人我想你会喜欢的。 |
[1:31:20] | What is it? | 它是什么? |
[1:31:22] | I’m so grateful. I’m so, so grateful. | 我很感激。我非常非常感激。 |
[1:31:31] | You’re leaving. | 你要离开。 |
[1:31:34] | I was planning on talking to you some time this week. | 我本打算这周找个时间跟你谈谈的。 |
[1:31:37] | But you’re doing so well! | 但你做得很好啊! |
[1:31:39] | I mean, you have it in you to become a really fine agent. | 我是说,你有成为一名优秀代理的潜质。 |
[1:31:43] | You have good instincts, a good heart. | 你直觉很好,心地善良。 |
[1:31:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢你! |
[1:31:50] | Thank you, Margaret. | 谢谢你,玛格丽特。 |
[1:31:53] | My mind’s made up. | 我已经下定决心了。 |
[1:31:56] | Of course, I’ll stay until you can find a replacement. | 当然,在你找到替代人选之前我会一直留在这里。 |
[1:32:03] | You have other aspirations. | 你有其他的愿望。 |
[1:32:06] | I do. | 我做的事。 |
[1:32:09] | We just never really talked about anything | 我们从来没好好谈过什么 |
[1:32:12] | other than the agency’s business. | 除了代理机构的业务。 |
[1:32:16] | That’s very true. | 这是非常真实的。 |
[1:32:24] | But I like working with you. | 但是我喜欢和你一起工作。 |
[1:32:26] | I like working here. I really, really do. | 我喜欢在这里工作。真的,真的。 |
[1:32:31] | There’s just other things I wanna do, and… | 我还有别的事要做,而且…… |
[1:32:36] | I’m afraid that if I don’t do them now, I never will. | 我怕如果我现在不做,以后再也不会做了。 |
[1:32:45] | I understand. | 我明白了。 |
[1:33:51] | Hi! Kevin told me to drop this by at my convenience. | 你好!凯文让我方便的时候把这个给你。 |
[1:33:56] | Would you like to give it to him yourself? I think he’s in. | 你愿意亲自给他吗?我想他被录取了。 |
[1:34:00] | That would be lovely. Thanks. | 那太好了。谢谢。 |
[1:34:12] | You like Japanese? Oh, hey there! | 你喜欢日本吗?哦,嘿! |
[1:34:14] | Oh, um, guess who’s visiting? | 猜猜谁来了? |
[1:34:23] | I want to give us enough time. | 我想给我们足够的时间。 |
[1:34:26] | I wonder about the cover. | 我想知道这个封面。 |
[1:34:27] | The cover. | 封面。 |
[1:34:29] | Yes. What do you make of it? | 是的。你对它有什么看法? |
[1:34:31] | I don’t think… | 我不认为…… |
[1:34:42] | Hello? | 你好? |
[1:34:44] | Listen, I’m thinking. | 听着,我在想。 |
[1:34:45] | If I was the guy who put myself on a paper | 如果我是那个把自己写下来的人 |
[1:34:47] | and it came out as Catcher in the Rye, | 结果是《麦田里的守望者》, |
[1:34:49] | I’d get a bang out of the bastard writing me a letter | 我会从那混蛋给我写信中得到快感 |
[1:34:52] | pretending to be able to do the same. | 假装能做同样的事。 |
[1:34:54] | You follow me? | 你跟我来吗? |
[1:35:40] | …chestnut stuffing. | ……栗子馅。 |
[1:35:42] | Oh, Jerry? | 噢,杰瑞? |
[1:35:45] | – May I introduce you to… – Joanna! | —我可以把你介绍给……—乔安娜! |
[1:35:47] | So good to finally meet you. | 很高兴终于见到你了。 |