时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Don’t make me tie you up, Red Feather. | 别逼我绑你 红羽毛[印第安人] |
[00:04] | Just come quiet and civilized. | 文明点 乖乖过来吧 |
[00:06] | We’ll scalp you first, White Man. | 我们先剥了你们的头皮 白人 |
[00:28] | Look. | 看 |
[00:31] | Sister Vivian. | 薇薇安修女 |
[00:32] | Sister Grace. | 格蕾丝修女 |
[00:33] | He’s back. | 他回来了 |
[00:45] | Sheriff’s back, men. | 治安官回来了 伙计们 |
[01:53] | I’m sorry to hear that. | 真遗憾 |
[01:56] | I’m sorry to hear that. | 真遗憾 |
[02:00] | I know you’re working on it. | 我知道你在努力 |
[02:02] | Yeah, I miss you, too. | 我也想你 |
[02:08] | Boss has something. | 老大让我们集合 |
[02:09] | Yeah, good. | 好 |
[02:10] | Oh, I gotta jet, Elisa. | 我得挂了 伊莉莎 |
[02:11] | I’m gonna try to come this week. | 我尽量这个星期来 |
[02:13] | Can’t promise anything, but best effort. Bye. | 我无法保证 尽力而为吧 再见 |
[02:16] | Someone left this on the steps of St. Emilian’s Church. | 有人把这个放在圣伊密里恩教堂的台阶上 |
[02:22] | “Unknown boy found in box. | “箱子里发现无名男孩尸体” |
[02:25] | April 6, 1958.” | “1958年4月6日” |
[02:27] | Will, take a look at this. | 威尔 看看这个 |
[02:29] | Oh, that old job. | 那个陈年旧案啊 |
[02:32] | Boy in the box. | 箱子里的男孩 |
[02:33] | Even I heard of that one. | 连我都听说过这案子 |
[02:34] | City’s most famous cold job. | 本城最有名的悬案 |
[02:36] | I’ve seen this up in the comissioner’s office. | 我在局长的办公室里看到过这个 |
[02:38] | Still nags the bosses. | 上级仍为此愁眉不展 |
[02:39] | They never so much as I.D.’d the boy. | 他们没能确认男孩的身份 |
[02:41] | Everyone in Philly knew about this kid. | 这个小孩的死传遍了费城 |
[02:43] | “The unknown boy.” | “无名男孩” |
[02:44] | But week after week, | 但一周又一周 |
[02:45] | no one reported him missing, and no one could name him. | 没人报告他失踪 也没人叫得出他的名字 |
[02:48] | Where’s the body end up? | 尸体最后埋在哪里 |
[02:49] | Charity Field… with the paupers and prisoners. | 福利会墓地 那里还埋着乞丐和囚犯 |
[02:52] | – Any tags on those? – Nah. | -裤子上有标签吗 -没有 |
[02:56] | Think the unknown boy could be this little cowboy? | 无名男孩可能是这个小牛仔吗 |
[03:00] | Lil, there’s something on the back. | 阿莉 照片背面有字 |
[03:04] | “His name was Arnold.” | “他名叫阿诺德” |
[03:40] | “Unknown white male, 1958. | “无名男性 白人 1958年” |
[03:43] | Dumped in Fox Chase.” | “被遗弃在福克斯契斯” |
[03:44] | Better known as the Boy in the Box. | 也就是人们所熟知的”箱子里的男孩” |
[03:46] | 400,000 circulars posted in Philadelphia and Bucks County. | 四十万份通知张贴在费城和巴克斯郡 |
[03:51] | Hundreds of leads, none of them right. | 数百条线索 无一正确 |
[03:53] | Kid was found in a Liho Punch box, out in a field. | 尸体在野外一个利好潘趣酒的箱内被发现 |
[03:55] | They tried to trace the box in schools and restaurants. | 他们试图在学校和餐馆中追溯该箱子的来历 |
[03:58] | They got nothing. | 一无所获 |
[03:59] | We know how he died? | 知道他的死因吗 |
[04:00] | Undetermined. | 尚未查明 |
[04:01] | Look at the head wounds. | 看看头部的伤 |
[04:03] | Look at the hair. | 看看他的头发 |
[04:04] | 宾夕法尼亚州 费城警局 协查通告 | |
[04:04] | What’s the deal? | 怎么回事 |
[04:05] | One detective thought he was killed while getting a haircut. | 一名探员认为他可能是在理发时被杀的 |
[04:08] | Homicidal barber? That’s a cracked theory. | 理发师杀人狂 太没根据了 |
[04:14] | Check this out. | 看看这个 |
[04:16] | Cops put the body in clothes, propped him up | 警察给小孩穿上衣服 让他坐起来 |
[04:19] | thinking it would make him more recognizable. | 认为他这样更容易被认出 |
[04:21] | – Creepy. – They didn’t think so in ’58. | -真惊悚 -在1958年他们可不这么觉得 |
[04:24] | Not that I was on the force then. | 我刚入职那会儿 他们可不这么觉得 |
[04:26] | We weren’t thinkin’ that, Pops. | 我们没往那方面想 老爹 |
[04:30] | The college kid who found the box turned into a frequent flyer. | 发现这个箱子的大学生常坐飞机两头跑 |
[04:33] | He came to Homicide 16 times about the case. | 为了这件案子 他造访了凶案组十六次 |
[04:36] | Got obssessed? | 上瘾了吗 |
[04:37] | Or was guilty about something. | 也许是觉得内疚 |
[04:39] | Probably want to set up visit number 17. | 也许我们该安排第十七次访问 |
[04:41] | So who do we think left the suitcase? | 手提箱是谁放的呢 |
[04:43] | Someone who’s been keeping a secret a long time. | 某个长年保守秘密的人 |
[04:46] | Let’s see if we can get prints off it. | 看看能否提取出指纹 |
[04:49] | We’ve got the name “Arnold”, | 我们知道了”阿诺德”这个名字 |
[04:51] | and we’ve got this. | 我们还有照片 |
[04:55] | Maybe someone with younger eyes | 哪个眼力更好的人 |
[04:58] | can read the lettering on that bus? | 能读读公交车上的字吗 |
[05:04] | “Fernwood Home for orphans.” | “芬伍德孤儿院” |
[05:09] | Sisters Vivian Dole and | 在1958年 薇薇安·多尔和 |
[05:11] | Grace Ashley ran the Fernwood Home in 1958. | 格蕾丝·阿什莉修女经营芬伍德孤儿院 |
[05:14] | They still got orphanages in Philly? | 现在费城还有孤儿院吗 |
[05:15] | No, we got the outstanding foster care system instead. | 没有 被完善的寄养机制取代了 |
[05:21] | – Nuns. – What about them? | -修女啊 -怎么了 |
[05:23] | Tough ladies. | 严厉的女人们 |
[05:24] | At least the ones who taught me. | 至少教我的那个是这样 |
[05:30] | I’m afraid Sister Grace died recently. | 不好意思 格蕾丝修女最近去世了 |
[05:34] | I’m sorry. | 真抱歉 |
[05:37] | She gave 50 years to the Church. That’s a life well-lived. | 她为教堂奉献了五十年 这才是完美的一生 |
[05:41] | You and her ran the Fernwood Orphanage in 1958? | 您和她在1958年一起经营芬伍德孤儿院吧 |
[05:44] | From ’52 to ’70. | 从1952年到1970年 |
[05:45] | We had up to 60 boys and girls at any given time. | 我们随时都要照顾六十名男孩女孩 |
[05:48] | You must know these boys, then. | 那你一定认识这些男孩吧 |
[05:54] | They look like Fernwood children. | 他们看起来像芬伍德的孩子 |
[05:56] | But I couldn’t tell you the names. | 但是我叫不出名字 |
[05:58] | How about a boy named Arnold? Remember him? | 记得一位叫做阿诺德的男孩吗 |
[06:00] | Wore a cowboy hat? | 戴着一顶牛仔帽 |
[06:01] | It’s possible. | 可能吧 |
[06:03] | I saw so many children come and go, I just… | 我看过太多孩子来来去去了 我只是… |
[06:06] | I don’t remember them all. | 我不可能个个都记得 |
[06:11] | Did you hear about the Boy in the Box case, back in ’58? | 你听说58年那起”箱子里的男孩”案子吗 |
[06:15] | I don’t think so. | 没有 |
[06:17] | Kid was dumped in Fox Chase? | 被遗弃在福克斯契斯的小孩 |
[06:19] | It was all over the city. | 满城都议论纷纷 |
[06:21] | We lead private lives here. | 我们过的是隐居生活 |
[06:24] | We read morning prayers, not morning papers. | 我们看的是晨经 不是晨报 |
[06:31] | We know the orphanage is gone now | 我们知道现在孤儿院已经关门了 |
[06:33] | but there must be records from Fernwood somewhere. | 但是你肯定有芬伍德的资料 |
[06:36] | I believe they’re all in the basement. | 我想资料都在地下室里 |
[06:39] | But I’m sure you don’t want to sift through all that. | 你们肯定不想一张张查看吧 |
[06:42] | Actually, we love that kind of thing. | 实际上 我们就爱这么干 |
[06:44] | Well, you’re welcome to look. | 悉随尊便 |
[06:49] | There was one Arnold at Fernwood that year, | 那年芬伍德有个叫阿诺德的 |
[06:52] | Arnold Culliver. Six years old. | 阿诺德·科里瓦 六岁 |
[06:54] | So the Boy in the Box has a name. | 箱子里的男孩有名字了 |
[06:56] | We have intake and adoption records for him. | 我们有他的入院和领养记录 |
[06:58] | Who adopted him? | 谁领养了他 |
[06:59] | Rubin and Lila Hanson, April 4. | 鲁宾和莱娜·汉森 四月四日 |
[07:01] | Two days before he was found in that field. | 正好是他在野外里被发现的前两天 |
[07:03] | He was better off at the orphanage. | 他在孤儿院时反而更好 |
[07:05] | Those parents got a lot to explain. | 那对父母得好好解释一番 |
[07:07] | We’ll track them down. I want to meet these people. | 我们会追查他们的下落 我想去会会他们 |
[07:09] | Arnold came to Fernwood in ’53 with a sister, Gretchen. | 1953年 阿诺德和姐姐格蕾琴来到芬伍德 |
[07:13] | Can we find her? | 能找到她吗 |
[07:14] | There’s a Gretchen Culliver listed in, uh, Roxborough. | 在罗克斯伯勒有个格蕾琴·科里瓦 |
[07:19] | Working in the city library. | 在市图书馆工作 |
[07:20] | You get the names of those other kids at Fernwood? | 你查到其他芬伍德孩子的名字吗 |
[07:23] | We can figure out who the rest of these boys are. | 我们可以找到其余的男孩 |
[07:25] | Maybe if the sister gives her DNA, | 如果他姐姐能提供DNA |
[07:27] | we exhume the boy’s body, make a positive I.D. | 我们挖出男孩的尸体 就能确认他的身份 |
[07:29] | We’re gonna need an ADA’s help on this one, huh? | 我们需要一位副地检官来帮忙吧 |
[07:33] | You know anyone? | 你有熟人吗 |
[07:36] | – Want to go talk to Gretchen? – Sure thing. | -想去和格雷琴谈谈吗 -肯定的 |
[07:43] | Arnold Culliver was my brother, but this isn’t him. | 阿诺德·科里瓦是我弟弟 但这不是他 |
[07:49] | I know it’s hard to look at. | 我知道看到这个让你很难过 |
[07:50] | Well, that’s not my brother. Arnold had curls, blonde curls. | 那不是我弟弟 阿诺德有金色的卷发 |
[07:56] | Is he one of these boys, Gretchen? | 格雷琴 那他是不是其中一个 |
[07:59] | Yes, that’s him with his Science Club friends. | 是啊 那就是他 还有科学俱乐部的朋友们 |
[08:03] | Where’d you get that? | 你们从哪里弄来的 |
[08:06] | Someone left it, along with this circular. | 有人留给我们的 还有这份传单 |
[08:10] | Well, that dead boy can’t be Arnold. | 那个死去的男孩不可能是阿诺德 |
[08:12] | He was adopted in 1958. | 他在1958年就被领养了 |
[08:17] | Sister Vivian said there’s | 薇薇安修女说 |
[08:18] | a family coming that wants a little boy. | 有个家庭想要小男孩 |
[08:20] | They can’t have me. | 他们不可能要我 |
[08:22] | I wish they wanted a girl, too. | 我真希望他们也要个女孩 |
[08:26] | – I won’t go, Gretch. – You have to. | -我不会走的 格蕾 -你必须去 |
[08:28] | Even if we get separated. You know our plan, right? | 就算我们分开 你还记得我们的计划吧 |
[08:31] | Meet at the horses. | 在马匹处见面 |
[08:33] | When? | 什么时候 |
[08:34] | My 18th birthday. | 我十八岁生日那天 |
[08:35] | Go to the Bryer Horse Fair, meet you at the horses. | 去布莱耶尔马市 在马匹处见你 |
[08:38] | Don’t forget. | 别忘了 |
[08:40] | I ain’t leaving you, Gretch. | 我不会丢下你的 格蕾 |
[08:47] | But he was gone one morning, | 但是在某个早晨 他离开了 |
[08:49] | adopted late the night before. | 在前一天晚上被领养了 |
[08:51] | I never said good-bye to him. | 我都没来得及和他说再见 |
[08:54] | Did, uh, you go looking for him at the horse fair? | 你去马市找过他吗 |
[08:59] | I did, actually. | 我还真去了 |
[09:01] | He didn’t show. | 他没有露面 |
[09:04] | It was a lucky Arnold found a home. | 阿诺德能找到一个家真是幸运 |
[09:06] | He acted up a lot. | 他很调皮 |
[09:08] | There were two families before | 在这户人家来之前 |
[09:09] | this one who had taken him and brought him back. | 还有两家把他领走 又送回来了 |
[09:11] | Because of his behavior? | 因为他调皮捣蛋吗 |
[09:13] | And if you got too old, you didn’t get adopted at all. | 如果你不小了 就没机会被领养了 |
[09:15] | You were stuck at Fernwood. | 只能呆在芬伍德 |
[09:17] | That what happened to you? | 你就是那样的吗 |
[09:19] | Yeah, I grew up there. | 是的 我在那里长大 |
[09:21] | Any idea where Arnold went to live? | 你知道阿诺德去哪里住了吗 |
[09:23] | Oh, they never told us things like that. | 他们不会告诉我们这些事情的 |
[09:26] | I always imagined him | 我总是想象在某处 |
[09:27] | with a nice family on a horse farm somewhere. | 他和一个和睦的家庭生活在马场上 |
[09:31] | So nice, he forgot Fernwood. | 那里太好了 他都把芬伍德给忘了 |
[09:34] | He was very young when he left. | 他走的时候还很小 |
[09:35] | Gretchen, | 格雷琴 |
[09:36] | would you be willing to give us a DNA sample | 你愿意提供DNA样本吗 |
[09:38] | so we can compare it to this boy’s? | 这样我们就可以和这名男孩对比了 |
[09:40] | Well, I’d be glad to but I know that’s not my brother. | 我很乐意 但我知道那不是我弟弟 |
[09:48] | I’d offer a refreshment, but we don’t got much in the house. | 我本想上些茶点 但家里存货不足 |
[09:52] | No problem. | 没关系 |
[09:55] | So, what’s it all about? | 你们来是有什么事呢 |
[09:57] | We got your name from Gretchen Culliver, Roger. | 罗杰 我们从格蕾琴·科里瓦那里打听到你 |
[10:01] | From the Fernwood Home? | 芬伍德孤儿院的 |
[10:03] | Gretchen… | 格雷琴… |
[10:05] | Was she one of the older girls? | 她是不是稍微大一点的女孩 |
[10:06] | Yeah. Her brother Arnold, he was your age. | 是的 她弟弟阿诺德那时和你差不多大 |
[10:11] | Oh, sure. | 没错 |
[10:13] | That’s the Science Club gang. | 这是科学俱乐部的一帮子人 |
[10:17] | – That Arnold was a cut-up. – Yeah? | -阿诺德可调皮了 -是吗 |
[10:20] | Leader of the pack, you know? | 他是我们的头头 |
[10:22] | Drove the Sisters barking mad. | 把修女们都气坏了 |
[10:30] | We’ll make a posse. | 我们组织成一队 |
[10:31] | Find that old girl and bring her on in. | 找到那头老母牛 把她捉回来 |
[10:34] | I got the rope. | 我带着绳子 |
[10:35] | – Freddy, got your spurs on? – Got’em, Sheriff. | -弗莱迪 带上马刺了吧 -带上了 治安官 |
[10:42] | What do you think you’re doing? | 你们在搞什么鬼 |
[10:44] | We’re going to the woods. | 我们要去森林 |
[10:45] | Bedtime was an hour ago. | 一小时前你就该上床睡觉了 |
[10:47] | We’re gonna lasso a cow, Sister Vivian. | 我们要套住一头牛 薇薇安修女 |
[10:49] | – There are no cows in the woods. – That’s what you think. | -森林里可没有牛 -那只是你的想法而已 |
[10:58] | Yeah, he was kind of the holy terror of Fernwood, | 他差不多算芬伍德的淘气包 |
[11:02] | so, of course, uh, well, we all loved him. | 当然 我们都很喜欢他 |
[11:07] | Why are you asking about him? | 为什么问起他来呢 |
[11:09] | We’re working a homicide from 1958. | 我们在调查一件1958年的谋杀案 |
[11:12] | We think the victim was probably Arnold. | 我们认为死者可能是阿诺德 |
[11:15] | Oh, no. | 不是吧 |
[11:17] | Could you look at a picture for us? | 你能看张照片吗 |
[11:24] | Do you think that might be Arnold? | 你觉得这可能是阿诺德吗 |
[11:30] | Arnold had blonde hair… curls. | 阿诺德的头发是金色的 而且是卷发 |
[11:34] | And if his hair was cut off? | 如果他的头发被剪掉了呢 |
[11:37] | I couldn’t say yes but… I couldn’t say no. | 难以肯定 我也说不准 |
[11:43] | I got two boys. Adopted. | 我也有两个小孩 领养的 |
[11:49] | Hey. Anything off that suitcase? | 关于手提箱 查出什么了吗 |
[11:51] | Just that it was bought at Wannamaker’s in ’54. | 只知道那是于1954年在华纳梅克买的 |
[11:53] | Only the biggest department store in the city. | 那是城里最大的百货公司 |
[11:56] | That was before credit cards, so no records. | 那时候还没有信用卡 所以没有记录 |
[11:58] | No prints on it either. | 上面也没有指纹 |
[11:59] | We got the okay from the orphan’s court to exhume the boy. | 孤儿法庭同意我们开棺验尸 |
[12:02] | Is his sister gonna give us a swab? | 他姐姐会给我们样本吗 |
[12:03] | She’s pretty committed to this boy not being Arnold, boss. | 老大 她坚信这男孩不是阿诺德 |
[12:06] | She better get uncommitted. | 她最好别那么肯定 |
[12:07] | Blonde curls or not, that’s the same kid. | 不管有没有金色卷发 那就是同一个孩子 |
[12:09] | Find any of the other boys in the photo? | 找到照片中的其他男孩了吗 |
[12:11] | Two others are dead besides Arnold. | 除了阿诺德 还有两个去世了 |
[12:14] | – One we just talked to. – Yeah. | -有一个我们刚刚跟他聊过 -对 |
[12:16] | Says Arnold was a problem child. | 他说阿诺德是个问题儿童 |
[12:18] | If two different families took him in, | 如果两个不同的家庭都领养了他 |
[12:20] | then changed their mind, he must have been. | 随即改变了注意 他肯定不听话 |
[12:21] | So Lila and Rubin bring him home, he throws a fit right off. | 莱娜和鲁宾把他领回家 他立马把他们惹火了 |
[12:25] | Rubin gives him a paddling | 鲁宾打了他一顿 |
[12:26] | or shakes him too hard, he ends up dead. | 或者吓唬他的时候挥拳太重 把他给打死了 |
[12:28] | Well, what else do you do | 如果一个小孩死了 |
[12:29] | with a dead kid besides dump him in a field? | 你别无他计 只能把他丢弃在荒郊野外 |
[12:32] | Maybe there’s a reason they’re hard to trace. | 也许他们音讯难觅是有原因的 |
[12:34] | You can’t find them? | 你找不到他们吗 |
[12:35] | No record of them anywhere in Pennsylvenia. | 在宾夕法尼亚州没有他们的记录 |
[12:36] | We’re trying the national database now. | 我们现在在国家数据库里搜索 |
[12:41] | Nut job. 12 o’clock. | 怪人 十二点方向 |
[12:44] | Must be our rabbit guy. | 肯定是我们的兔子兄 |
[12:46] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[12:49] | Detectives Rush and Valens. | 我们是拉什和瓦伦斯探员 |
[12:51] | Walter Rafferty. I was the one to find that boy in the box. | 我是沃尔特·拉弗瑞 是我发现的那个男孩 |
[12:56] | Thanks for coming in. | 谢谢你过来 |
[12:57] | You have something new on the case? | 案情有什么新的进展吗 |
[13:00] | Possibly. | 可能吧 |
[13:04] | He was about six years old. | 他大约六岁 |
[13:06] | Wrapped in a blue blanket. | 包在蓝色的毯子里 |
[13:08] | It was 12:00 noon on Sunday, | 那是星期天的正午 |
[13:10] | and I followed a jackrabbit into the brush | 我追着一只长耳大野兔进了灌木丛 |
[13:12] | and I came upon a box, | 然后发现了箱子 |
[13:14] | a-a-a Liho Punch box, | 一个利好潘趣酒箱子 |
[13:18] | and there was the boy. | 男孩就在 |
[13:19] | Inside. | 里面 |
[13:20] | You didn’t recognize him? | 你不认识他吗 |
[13:21] | No. Absolutely not. | 不 不认识 |
[13:23] | You weren’t involved with him dying? | 他的死和你没关系吧 |
[13:25] | Absolutely not. I took a polygraph test in 1958. | 当然没有 我在1958年做了测谎试验 |
[13:28] | We know you did. | 我们知道 |
[13:29] | I’ll take one right now. | 我现在也可以做 |
[13:30] | I gave the cops a straight story. | 我向警察交代了实情 |
[13:32] | You do any investigating yourself? | 你自己做了什么调查吗 |
[13:34] | As a matter of fact, I go back to the site every year on April 6 | 事实上 在每年的4月6号我都去那里 |
[13:38] | and I’m not the only one. | 并不只有我一个人 |
[13:39] | There’s a woman who goes out there, too. | 有个女人也每年都去 |
[13:40] | I…I seen her there for years. | 我好几年都看到她了 |
[13:43] | Yeah. We’ve got that down here. | 是啊 这里有记载 |
[13:45] | She comes with white roses, wearing a green plaid coat. | 她带着白玫瑰 穿着一件绿色格子外套 |
[14:02] | You ever talk to this woman? | 你和这名妇女交谈过吗 |
[14:04] | I tried a few times. | 我试过几次 |
[14:06] | She didn’t want to engage. | 她不想和我说话 |
[14:08] | Why is this whole | 为什么这个案子 |
[14:09] | Boy in the Box thing so big in your life, Walter? | 在你心中如此重要 沃尔特 |
[14:13] | I guess you’ve seen lots of dead bodies. | 我猜你们见过许多尸体 |
[14:16] | Doesn’t bother you? | 这不会让你们困扰吗 |
[14:18] | Well, I’m not built that way. | 我可没那么坚强 |
[14:22] | This… this derailed me. | 这让我无法正常生活 |
[14:27] | I wish I never saw that rabbit. | 真希望我从未见到那只兔子 |
[14:35] | I think this Walter guy’s on the level, boss. | 我觉得沃尔特还挺老实 老大 |
[14:37] | Just gotten messed up by finding the body. | 他只是因为发现尸体而心烦意乱 |
[14:40] | What do you think of his story about the lady in the plaid coat? | 你认为他说的穿格子外套的女人可信吗 |
[14:42] | 50-50. | 一半一半吧 |
[14:44] | Even if it’s true, what’s it mean? | 就算是真的 那又有什么意义呢 |
[14:46] | She could just be an obsessive like him. | 她可能也像他一样执念 |
[14:48] | How long you think this’ll take? | 你觉得会持续多久 |
[14:49] | One of your girls waiting for you? | 有女孩在等你吗 |
[14:51] | What I wouldn’t give to take a look at Scotty’s black book? | 我真愿意付出一切来看看史考特的女友通讯录 |
[14:54] | You know what? Forget it. I can go tomorrow. | 这样吧 算了 我明天再去 |
[14:58] | Didn’t want to miss the show, huh? | 是不想错过这一幕吧 |
[14:59] | We finally found records on Rubin and Lila Hanson. | 我们终于找到了鲁宾和莱娜·汉森的记录 |
[15:02] | And? | 然后呢 |
[15:03] | Well, there’s a reason they were so hard to find. | 他们这么难找是有原因的 |
[15:05] | They died in the 1887. | 他们在1887年就去世了 |
[15:08] | Arnold’s parents don’t exist. | 阿诺德的养父母并不存在 |
[15:18] | Rubin and Lila Hanson died before the trun of the century. | 鲁宾和莱娜·汉森在20世纪前就去世了 |
[15:22] | Buried at the cemetery at St. Emilian’s. | 埋在圣伊密里恩教堂的公墓里 |
[15:24] | The same church where the suitcase turned up. | 我们就是在那座教堂前发现的手提箱 |
[15:26] | So the adoption papers are phony. | 领养证明是伪造的 |
[15:28] | So what happened to Arnold the night he was supposedly adopted? | 在他本该被领养的前一晚 阿诺德出什么事了 |
[15:31] | Maybe he died in the orphanage. | 也许他死在孤儿院了 |
[15:32] | Someone on the inside covered it up with adoption records. | 孤儿院内部的人用领养记录来掩盖此事 |
[15:35] | Here’s another layer. | 这里有另一份报告 |
[15:37] | Autopsy of our boy positively I.D.’d him as Arnold Culliver | 男孩的尸检结果与牙医记录相对比 |
[15:40] | from dental records, but, uh… | 证明他是阿诺德·科里瓦 但是… |
[15:42] | Arnold’s DNA… | 阿诺德的DNA |
[15:44] | doesn’t match Gretchen’s. | 与格雷琴的不符 |
[15:46] | So they’re not brother and sister? | 那他们就不是亲姐弟了 |
[15:47] | Then Arnold’s intake papers were doctored, too. | 阿诺德的入院证明也是伪造的 |
[15:50] | So this kid came from nowhere and went nowhere. | 这小孩真是来无影去无踪 |
[15:53] | Who signed these records? | 谁签署的这些记录 |
[15:54] | Sister Vivian. | 薇薇安修女 |
[15:55] | And guess who’s not talking now? | 猜猜谁现在缄口不语 |
[15:57] | Sister Vivian. | 薇薇安修女 |
[15:59] | In seclusion. | 深居简出 |
[16:01] | Nun on the run. | 在逃修女 |
[16:04] | Ever staked out a convent? | 监视过女修道院吗 |
[16:06] | I’ll go anywhere. | 听从上级安排 |
[16:08] | – Gretchen’s gonna take this hard. – Yeah. | -格雷琴一定很难接受 -是啊 |
[16:10] | How do we tell her that | 我们现在如何开口告诉她 |
[16:11] | not only did her brother die 46 years ago, | 她弟弟不仅仅在46年前去世了 |
[16:13] | but on top of that, he wasn’t actually her brother. | 更糟糕的是 那还不是她的亲弟弟 |
[16:18] | This must be a mistake. | 肯定弄错了 |
[16:20] | No. No, I’m sorry. | 没有 很抱歉 |
[16:23] | Arnold and I came to Fernwood together. | 阿诺德和我一起去的芬伍德 |
[16:25] | Our parents were killed in a train wreck. | 我们的父母死于一场火车事故 |
[16:27] | You didn’t have the same parents, Gretchen. | 你们并不是一家人 格雷琴 |
[16:33] | Sisters Vivian and Grace knew about this? | 薇薇安和格蕾丝知道这件事吗 |
[16:35] | I think they must have. | 我觉得她们肯定知道 |
[16:37] | And they kept it a secret from me all this time? | 她们居然一直对我保密吗 |
[16:39] | You were young. | 你当时很小 |
[16:40] | Maybe they were protecting you. | 说不定他们是为了保护你 |
[16:41] | Gretchen, we know now that Arnold was never adopted. | 格雷琴 我们现在知道了阿诺德没被领养 |
[16:44] | There was no family that came and took him away. | 没有哪家把他带走了 |
[16:47] | And right around that time, | 在那段时间 |
[16:49] | someone hurt him, bad enough it killed him. | 有人伤害了他 严重到致死的地步 |
[16:53] | The best explanation right now is that he died at Fernwood. | 现在最合理的解释就是他死在芬伍德 |
[16:58] | We need your help thinking about who could have hurt him. | 我们需要你仔细想想谁可能伤害他 |
[17:02] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[17:04] | Was anyone ever violent with Arnold? | 谁对阿诺德施暴过吗 |
[17:09] | Freddy Baker. | 弗莱迪·贝克 |
[17:11] | He’s in that picture you have. | 他也在那张照片里 |
[17:13] | He beat Arnold up pretty bad once. | 他有次狠狠毒打了阿诺德 |
[17:15] | Who else? | 还有谁 |
[17:19] | Arnold got disciplined a lot. | 阿诺德听话了不少 |
[17:22] | By who? | 谁管教的 |
[17:24] | Sister Vivian. | 薇薇安修女 |
[17:27] | Why are you back? | 你怎么回来了 |
[17:28] | I didn’t like that family and they didn’t like me. | 我不喜欢那家人 他们也不喜欢我 |
[17:30] | They kick you out? | 他们把你赶走了吗 |
[17:31] | I ran. There was no one to play with. | 我自己逃跑了 没人陪我玩 |
[17:35] | Well, Arnold, what do you have to say for yourself? | 阿诺德 你要为自己怎么辩解 |
[17:38] | Good to be home. | 回家真好 |
[17:41] | You’re pleased with yourself, are you? | 你对自己感到很满意是吧 |
[17:43] | Didn’t hurt. | 没打疼 |
[17:45] | Arnold’s coming to my office. | 阿诺德跟我回办公室 |
[17:48] | Don’t, Sister Vivian. | 别啊 薇薇安修女 |
[17:56] | I never knew what she did to him in her office, | 我不知道在办公室里发生了什么事 |
[17:59] | but he came out with a lot of bruises. | 但是他出来时伤痕累累 |
[18:02] | Would Sister Grace punish him too? | 格蕾丝修女也会惩罚他吗 |
[18:04] | It was always Sister Vivian. | 一直是薇薇安修女 |
[18:07] | You ask Freddy Baker. He ended up in her office a lot, too. | 你得问弗莱迪·贝克 他也经常去她办公室 |
[18:17] | Fernwood, ahhh. | 芬伍德 |
[18:19] | Bad memories? | 有不好的回忆吗 |
[18:20] | The worst. | 没更坏的了 |
[18:22] | Sorry to bring it up, but it’s a homicide investigation. | 很抱歉提起来 但这是为了调查一起凶案 |
[18:27] | Who died? | 谁死了 |
[18:28] | Boy named Arnold Culliver. | 一个叫阿诺德·科里瓦的男孩 |
[18:31] | Arnold? | 阿诺德 |
[18:32] | Crap. | 见鬼 |
[18:33] | That’s one of the few kids I liked. | 这是我喜欢的为数不多的小孩之一 |
[18:35] | The way I hear it, Fred, | 弗雷德 据我所听到的 |
[18:36] | you were kind of a bully at Fernwood. | 你在芬伍德也算是个小霸王 |
[18:39] | Yeah, I’d run around dropping guys for looking at me funny. | 是啊 我会教训那些怪怪看着我的人 |
[18:42] | Real nice kid, you know? | 他是个好小子 |
[18:43] | You ever drop Arnold? | 你教训过阿诺德吗 |
[18:45] | One time. | 只有一次 |
[18:47] | But mostly I just left him alone ’cause he had spirit, you know? | 但我一般不会去惹他 因为他很有种 |
[18:50] | Gave the nuns hell. | 让修女们有得受的 |
[18:52] | He was popular, huh? | 他很受欢迎是吧 |
[18:53] | With the kids, yeah. | 在孩子们当中很受欢迎 |
[18:56] | Funny thing about him, he loved it at Fernwood. | 奇怪的是 他喜欢在芬伍德的生活 |
[18:58] | Everyone else wanted to get out, he kept coming back. | 其他人都想出去 他却一直回来 |
[19:03] | What are your memories of Sister Vivian? | 你对薇薇安修女印象如何 |
[19:06] | Mean old battle-ax. | 刻薄凶恶的老女人 |
[19:08] | She’s the reason I kept my kids out of Catholic school. | 就是因为她 我才不让我小孩上天主教学校 |
[19:11] | She ever whale on you enough to do damage? | 她以前痛打过你吗 |
[19:14] | Sure. | 当然啦 |
[19:17] | She was sadistic. | 她是个虐待狂 |
[19:19] | So you think she could have hurt Arnold bad enough to kill him? | 你觉得她可能出手太狠 把阿诺德打死了吗 |
[19:22] | Are you saying Arnold died at Fernwood? | 你是说阿诺德死在芬伍德吗 |
[19:24] | We don’t know yet. | 我们现在还不知道 |
[19:25] | – I thought he got adopted. – No. | -我还以为他被领养了 -没有 |
[19:29] | Sister Vivian was pretty cruel. | 薇薇安修女是很残忍 |
[19:33] | But murder? | 但还不至于杀人吧 |
[19:34] | It might have been accidental. | 也许是不小心的 |
[19:41] | I’ll tell you it got pretty bad. | 我只能说她下手确实很狠 |
[19:44] | I still got scars on my back from where she took the belt to me. | 我背上仍有她用皮带抽我留下来的伤疤 |
[19:47] | She used a belt, huh? | 她用了皮带 |
[19:49] | With me. | 对我用了 |
[19:51] | She mixed it up. | 她抓起什么就拿什么打 |
[19:53] | Spoons, paddles. | 高尔夫球杆 扁条刑杖 |
[19:55] | Had a lot of tricks in her bag. | 她包里这些东西可多了 |
[19:58] | I’m sorry as hell that kid died. | 那小孩死了 真遗憾 |
[20:08] | Sister Vivian. | 薇薇安修女 |
[20:11] | You’re a hard lady to get to. | 可真难找到你 |
[20:14] | – I’m in seclusion. – It’ll only take a few minutes. | -我在隐居 -这只要几分钟 |
[20:17] | I’m not comfortable with this. | 你这样打扰我 我觉得不舒服 |
[20:18] | You know, I’m not comfortable with a few things myself. | 我自己也对某些事觉得不舒服 |
[20:20] | Like Arnold’s phony intake papers and his phony adoption records. | 比如阿诺德伪造的入院记录和领养记录 |
[20:24] | I don’t know anything about that. | 我对此一无所知 |
[20:25] | And the fact that his supposed parents died in the 1800s. | 还有他的养父母在19世纪就死了 |
[20:30] | I’m also uncomfortable with | 我还听说你在芬伍德实行体罚 |
[20:31] | what I’m hearing about the corporal punishment | 这也让我感到 |
[20:34] | you gave out at Fernwood. | 很不舒服 |
[20:36] | Raising Children calls for discipline. | 不打不成材 |
[20:38] | Oh, you were extra rough with Arnold Culliver. | 你对阿诺德·科里瓦格外严厉 |
[20:43] | He had a serious behavior problem. | 他非常欠管教 |
[20:45] | Oh, now you remember him? | 现在你记得他了吗 |
[20:46] | Because before, you couldn’t place him at all. | 之前你可一点都记不起来啊 |
[20:49] | Yes, I remember Arnold. | 是的 我记得阿诺德 |
[20:53] | He was a troubled boy. | 他是个捣蛋鬼 |
[20:54] | And you just didn’t feel | 你之前就不想 |
[20:55] | like telling me and my partner that before? | 告诉我和我的搭档吗 |
[20:57] | We lead private lives here, and I believe in discretion. | 我们过的是隐居生活 谨慎为妙 |
[20:59] | I don’t like prying eyes. | 我不欢迎窥探者 |
[21:01] | Because they might discover what you did. | 因为也许他们会发现你的所作所为 |
[21:02] | I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary to those children. | 我对那些小孩做的都没过界 |
[21:05] | You left kids with lifelong scars. | 你给小孩留下了终生的疤痕 |
[21:08] | Maybe it sounds scandalous today, | 也许在今天这听起来令人震惊 |
[21:11] | but it was routine in 1958. | 但是在1958年 这是家常便饭 |
[21:13] | Mm. So maybe in a routine pummeling of Arnold one night, | 也许在某个晚上 你在毒打阿诺德 |
[21:18] | he fell unconscious from one of your blows. | 你痛下狠手 导致他失去知觉 |
[21:20] | Died, in fact. | 实际上他死了 |
[21:22] | You’d want to be discreet about that event, | 你想掩盖这件丑闻 |
[21:25] | so maybe you cut off those blonde curls | 所以也许你剪下了他的金色卷发 |
[21:27] | so no one recognized him, put him in a box, | 这样没人能认出他 然后你把他装进箱子里 |
[21:30] | and privately took him to a field and dumped him. | 私下里带去野外弃尸 |
[21:36] | That’s a remarkable thing to say to a woman of God. | 这对于上帝的信徒来说真是个巨大的侮辱 |
[21:40] | Is it true? | 这是真的吗 |
[21:42] | No. | 不是 |
[21:44] | Why did you fake Arnold’s intake and adoption records? | 你为什么要伪造阿诺德的入院和领养证明 |
[21:47] | I didn’t. | 我没有 |
[21:48] | Your signature’s on both sets of papers. | 那两份文件上都有你的签名 |
[21:50] | Sister Grace did the paperwork | 格蕾丝修女管理文件 |
[21:52] | and I, as the senior sister at Fernwood, signed the documents. | 作为芬伍德的资深修女 我签署了文件 |
[21:56] | Was Sister Grace as fond of corporal punishment as you are? | 格蕾丝修女也和你一样热衷于体罚吗 |
[21:59] | – I won’t speak ill of the dead. – Why did she fake the records? | -我不会说死人的坏话 -她为什么要伪造文件 |
[22:02] | Why did she do any of the stupid things that she did? | 为什么她会那么傻呢 |
[22:05] | Sister Grace was a screwup. | 格蕾丝修女总是出乱子 |
[22:07] | She was weak-willed, and she was unreliable | 她意志薄弱 完全不可靠 |
[22:09] | and she couldn’t discipline the children, | 她无法管理孩子们 |
[22:11] | and that’s why I had to. | 所以我才得采取严厉措施 |
[22:16] | What’s your name? | 你叫什么名字 |
[22:19] | He’s Arnold. | 他叫阿诺德 |
[22:22] | Do you like swimming, Arnold? | 阿诺德 你喜欢游泳吗 |
[22:25] | I like horses. | 我喜欢马 |
[22:27] | Afraid we don’t have any of those, | 恐怕我们没有马 |
[22:28] | but we do have a membership at the Haverford swimming pool. | 但是我们有张哈弗福德游泳池的会员卡 |
[22:33] | Does that sound like fun? | 听起来好玩吗 |
[22:41] | Pow, pow, pow, pow! | 啪啪啪啪 |
[22:50] | Don’t socialize with the parents so much. | 别老和家长们聊天 |
[22:52] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[22:54] | Arnold just shoved a woman. | 阿诺德刚推开了一个女人 |
[22:56] | I told him, best behavior. | 我告诉过他 要他表现得好一点 |
[23:01] | We have to control him, Grace. | 我们必须控制他 格蕾丝 |
[23:04] | He’ll never get a home if we don’t. | 如果我们不那样做 他永远都找不到一个家 |
[23:12] | Could Grace have hurt Arnold? | 格蕾丝可能伤害阿诺德吗 |
[23:14] | Grace… | 格蕾丝… |
[23:19] | Some stories shouldn’t be told. | 有些事不该说 |
[23:24] | Vivian claimed Grace was the one to doctor the records. | 薇薇安说伪造文件的是格蕾丝 |
[23:27] | Is she offering a reason why? | 她说了原因吗 |
[23:29] | She was mysterious about her. | 一提到格蕾丝 她就神秘兮兮的 |
[23:31] | And conveniently, Grace is dead. | 这多方便 反正死无对证 |
[23:33] | How’d it go with Fred the bully? | 小恶霸弗雷德那边情况如何 |
[23:35] | He’s a decent guy. | 他是个正派的人 |
[23:36] | Adopted twins from Romania. | 在罗马尼亚领养了一对双胞胎 |
[23:38] | Did he do in Arnold? | 是他杀死阿诺德的吗 |
[23:40] | Nah, but he confirmed Sister Vivian was good and vicious. | 不是 但他证实了薇薇安修女并不完美 |
[23:43] | Found the last kid in the photo, it’s Paul Evans. | 找到了照片里的最后一个小孩 保罗·伊万斯 |
[23:45] | He add anything to the picture? | 他提供了什么有用的信息吗 |
[23:47] | More of the same. | 相差无几 |
[23:48] | Loved Arnold, terrified of Sister Vivian. | 喜欢阿诺德 很怕薇薇安修女 |
[23:51] | One thing struck us, though. | 但是有件事让我们产生了联想 |
[23:52] | He said he couldn’t have kids. | 他说他无法生育 |
[23:54] | Yeah. First guy we found, Roger… | 对 我们找到的第一个人 罗杰… |
[23:57] | he adopted his kids. | 他的小孩是领养的 |
[23:58] | Fred adopted, too. | 弗雷德也领养了小孩 |
[24:00] | That’s what we mean. | 这不是巧合吧 |
[24:01] | Three out of the six boys on that photo don’t or can’t have kids. | 照片中六个男孩 有三个没有生育或无法生育 |
[24:06] | Maybe orphans are more likely to adopt when they grow up. | 也许孤儿长大后更愿意领养小孩 |
[24:09] | Three out of six, Lil? | 都占一半了 阿莉 |
[24:10] | That’s a cluster, not a coincidence. | 概率很高 不是碰巧 |
[24:13] | Gretchen said this is a picture of the Science Club boys, right? | 格雷琴说照片里都是科学俱乐部里的小孩对吧 |
[24:16] | Right. | 是的 |
[24:17] | Maybe we need to find out what they did at this club. | 也许我们该查查这个俱乐部是干嘛的 |
[24:24] | Uh, the boys went to the Science Club on Fridays, | 男孩们在星期五去科学俱乐部 |
[24:27] | while the rest of us had music class. | 而其余人上音乐课 |
[24:29] | Science Club wasn’t at Fernwood? | 科学俱乐部没在芬伍德吗 |
[24:31] | No, they went someplace else. So, took that bus. | 没有 他们去了别的地方 乘公交去的 |
[24:34] | – By themselves? – Sister Grace went with them. | -自己去的吗 -格蕾丝修女带队 |
[24:37] | You know what they did there? | 你知道他们做了什么吗 |
[24:38] | No. It was only for boys. | 不知道 只有男孩才能参加 |
[24:40] | And you don’t know where it was. | 你不知道在哪里吗 |
[24:42] | No, but I think that picture you have | 不知道 但我觉得那张照片 |
[24:44] | was taken wherever the club was held. | 就是在活动地点拍摄的 |
[24:47] | Was it? | 是吗 |
[24:48] | That building’s not Fernwood. | 这栋楼房没在芬伍德 |
[24:54] | Maybe we blow this up? | 也许我们该放大照片 |
[24:57] | Science Club was, um, just a weekly field trip. | 科学俱乐部是一周一次的考察旅行 |
[25:00] | To where? | 去哪里 |
[25:02] | A hospital-type building. | 一栋像医院的楼房 |
[25:05] | What kind of things did you do there? | 你们在那里干什么 |
[25:08] | It was different every time. | 每次都不同 |
[25:10] | Could you give us a for instance? | 能给我们举个例子吗 |
[25:14] | One time we had a breakfast in the afternoon. | 有次我们在下午吃早餐 |
[25:28] | – Hello, Doctor. – Sister Grace. | -你好 医生 -格蕾丝修女 |
[25:37] | Hello, boys. | 好啊 小子们 |
[25:38] | Do we have to give blood today, Dr. Thayer? | 今天我们还得献血吗 赛亚医生 |
[25:40] | No. Today all you have to do is eat cornflakes. | 不用啦 今天你们只用吃玉米片 |
[25:43] | We just had lunch! | 我们才吃完午餐 |
[25:45] | I hope you’re hungry. | 希望你们还有胃口 |
[25:52] | It was fun. | 那很有趣 |
[25:54] | Nothing scary about it. | 没什么吓人的 |
[25:55] | Do you know Dr. Thayer’s first name? | 你知道赛亚医生的名字吗 |
[25:57] | Nah, sorry. | 不知道 抱歉 |
[26:00] | – Roger, we have to ask you a personal question. – Okay. | -罗杰 我们得问你个私人问题 -好的 |
[26:04] | Did you adopt kids because you couldn’t have your own? | 你领养小孩是因为你不能生育吗 |
[26:08] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[26:10] | That was your side, | 是你的问题 |
[26:11] | not your wife’s. | 而不是因为你老婆 |
[26:14] | How’d you know that? | 你们怎么知道的 |
[26:16] | All three men still alive from Science Club confirmed as sterile. | 科学俱乐部还幸存的这三个人都被确诊为不育 |
[26:20] | How you gonna blame that on cornflakes? | 这和玉米片有什么关系 |
[26:21] | I don’t know | 我不知道 |
[26:22] | and I don’t know what it’s | 我也不知道这和 |
[26:23] | got to do with Arnold’s head wounds, either. | 阿诺德头部的伤疤有什么关系 |
[26:25] | We gotta find out what else was going on in this place, Lil. | 阿莉 我们必须查出在那地方发生了什么 |
[26:27] | Got a partial name on the building. | 发现了建筑的部分名字 |
[26:29] | Uh, H-O-something-I-N-something. | H-O-什么-I-N-什么 |
[26:32] | Something… Institute? | 什么 研究院 |
[26:35] | Hoover Institute, in Fairmount. | 位于费蒙的胡佛研究院 |
[26:37] | So let’s look for anyone who worked there in ’58 | 我们去找找1958年在那里工作的人 |
[26:39] | starting with Dr. Thayer. | 从赛亚医生开始 |
[26:42] | I got some, Lil. | 我有所发现 阿莉 |
[26:44] | Okay. | 好的 |
[26:46] | You know what, I can go tomorrow. | 还是这样吧 我明天也能去 |
[26:48] | You’ve been saying that all week, Scotty, but you never go. | 你这一周都这样说 史考特 但你从没去过 |
[26:50] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[26:52] | I’ll meet you in the morning, Scotty. | 史考特 我明天早上见你 |
[26:54] | First thing? | 一大早吗 |
[26:55] | First thing. | 一大早 |
[27:00] | All right, you want me to auto-track Thayer? | 好吧 你想让我自动搜索赛亚吗 |
[27:02] | Uh, maybe let me, boss. | 让我来吧 老大 |
[27:04] | No, I got to learn how to run this computer sometime, Lil. | 不 我总得学会用这台电脑 阿莉 |
[27:08] | Is it on? | 开始了吗 |
[27:25] | Sorry I’m late. | 对不起 我迟到了 |
[27:27] | The bus was parked right over there. | 班车那时就停在那里 |
[27:30] | We know what was going on here in the ’50s? | 知道这地方在50年代是做什么用的吗 |
[27:32] | Government research. | 政府搞研究用的 |
[27:33] | Dr. Milton Thayer was using volunteers | 米尔顿·赛亚使用志愿者 |
[27:36] | including the boys from Fernwood | 包括芬伍德的小孩 |
[27:38] | as test groups. | 作为实验组 |
[27:40] | What was Fernwood getting in return? | 芬伍德得了什么好处 |
[27:42] | They were paid a fee for every boy they brought over. | 每带来一个小孩 他们就得到报酬 |
[27:45] | I got the contracts. | 我这里有合同 |
[27:46] | Sister Vivian set this up? | 这是薇薇安修女干的吗 |
[27:48] | No. | 不是 |
[27:49] | Sister Grace. | 是格蕾丝修女 |
[27:53] | What kind of tests are we talking? | 做的是什么实验 |
[27:54] | That’s what we got to ask Dr. Thayer. | 这点我们就要问赛亚医生了 |
[27:56] | He’s an emeritus researcher here. | 他是位名誉退休研究员 |
[27:58] | Yeah, I remember the Fernwood boys. | 是 我记得芬伍德的那些小男孩 |
[28:01] | They were subjects in a series of radiation tests for us. | 他们是一系列辐射测试的实验对象 |
[28:05] | – Radiation. – Right. | -辐射 -是的 |
[28:07] | We heard something about cornflakes. | 我们听说了玉米片的事 |
[28:10] | That was one of the methods. | 这是方法之一 |
[28:12] | How’d that work? | 这是怎么回事 |
[28:14] | The milk was irradiated. | 牛奶被辐射过了 |
[28:16] | You gave radioactive milk to six-year-old boys? | 你把放射性牛奶给六岁的小孩喝吗 |
[28:19] | Very low levels. | 剂量很低 |
[28:20] | We also put it in the | 我们也用 |
[28:21] | toothpaste and had them brush their teeth with it. | 受过辐射的牙膏给他们刷牙 |
[28:24] | This was government-sponsored? | 这是政府资助的吗 |
[28:27] | You’re what, 30 years old? | 你多大 30岁吗 |
[28:29] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[28:30] | So you don’t remember the Cold War. | 那你不记得冷战了吧 |
[28:30] | 1947年-1991年间美国为首的西方资本主义国家 和苏联为首社会主义国家两个阵营在各方面都处于对抗状态的时期。 | |
[28:32] | What about it? | 怎么了 |
[28:33] | We lived in fear of the bomb. | 我们生活在核武器的恐惧之中 |
[28:33] | 冷战期间美国和苏联展开军备竞赛, 双方囤集了足以让对方毁灭成百上千次的核弹头 | |
[28:35] | Radiation research was considered necessary. | 进行辐射测试是必要的 |
[28:37] | It was even patriotic. | 这甚至是爱国行为 |
[28:39] | Did you know your tests left three men sterile? | 你知道这些测试让三个人失去了生育能力吗 |
[28:43] | We didn’t intend to harm anyone, | 我们无意伤人 |
[28:45] | but at the time, we were working for a cause. | 但是那时 我们是为国家事业而效力 |
[28:48] | So you don’t regret the tests? | 那你不后悔做了这些测试吗 |
[28:50] | We worked within the boundaries of what we knew. | 我们做的测试都是在我们所知的范围之内的 |
[28:52] | Back in the ’50’s, we thought those tests would do us good. | 在50年代 我们认为那些测试对我们有好处 |
[28:55] | We also performed lobotomies, which we now think are barbaric, | 我们还做脑叶切断手术 现在看来很残忍 |
[28:58] | but at the time, it was considered cutting-edge medicine. | 但是在那时 那可是尖端医学 |
[29:06] | Can’t help the times you live in. | 跟你那个时代没多大关系 |
[29:09] | So Sister Grace arranged the visits to the Institute. | 这么说是格蕾丝修女安排了他们去研究院 |
[29:13] | Think she knew what she was doing to these kids? | 她知道她对这些孩子做了什么吗 |
[29:15] | She was a nun, not a doctor. | 她是个修女 又不是医生 |
[29:18] | And back in ’58, | 在1958年 |
[29:19] | the culture was, doctor could do no wrong. | 人们认为医生不可能犯错 |
[29:21] | You didn’t question them. | 你可不能质疑他们 |
[29:22] | You didn’t question the government, either. | 你也不能质疑政府 |
[29:24] | They funded the tests. | 他们资助的这些实验 |
[29:26] | Been looking into what else was going on | 我调查了胡佛研究所在1958年 |
[29:27] | at the Hoover Institute in ’58. | 其它的实验项目 |
[29:29] | A lot of behavioral research. | 进行了许多行为研究 |
[29:31] | What’s that mean? | 那是什么意思 |
[29:32] | Trying to straighten out psychotics | 试图让精神病患者恢复正常 |
[29:34] | by way of insulin treatments, isolation tanks, electroshock. | 采用的是胰岛素 密封容器 电击等方法 |
[29:38] | Oh, God. | 天呐 |
[29:39] | Tell me they didn’t test that on the orphans. | 千万别告诉我他们拿孤儿当了试验品 |
[29:42] | That would explain Arnold’s head wounds. | 那阿诺德头部的创伤就解释得通了 |
[29:44] | I auto-tracked an ancient nurse, used to work in Behavior. | 我查到一位以前进行行为研究的老护士 |
[29:47] | Still in Philly? | 还在费城吗 |
[29:48] | Sally Thurber, old lady now, | 叫做莎莉·赛博 现在年纪很大了 |
[29:50] | kicking it in a retirement community. | 在退休社区静养 |
[29:54] | I remember that Boy in the Box case. | 我记得那件箱子里的男孩的案子 |
[29:56] | I never put it together with Fernwood. | 我从来没把这件事和芬伍德联系起来过 |
[29:58] | No one did. | 没人联想过 |
[30:00] | Those boys were darlings. | 这些男孩都是小乖乖 |
[30:03] | Did you know any of them? Maybe they were research subjects? | 你认识他们吗 也许他们是研究对象 |
[30:06] | Oh, not for us. No. | 可不是我们的研究对象 |
[30:09] | I just saw them around the Institute in their… | 我就在研究院附近看到过他们 |
[30:12] | little gray uniforms. | 穿着小号的灰色制服 |
[30:14] | I’d talk to the nun who brought them sometimes. | 有时候我会和带他们来的修女聊聊天 |
[30:18] | Sister Grace? | 格蕾丝修女吗 |
[30:20] | She’d come down to Behavior once in a while. | 她有时会来行为研究部门 |
[30:23] | Yeah? Why would she do that? | 是吗 她来干什么 |
[30:27] | I suppose everyone’s dead now, | 我觉得既然现在大家都死了 |
[30:30] | so I can speak out of school. | 我也没什么好顾忌的了 |
[30:33] | Please. | 但说无妨 |
[30:35] | She’d come visit Clayton… | 她来见克雷顿… |
[30:39] | an assistant in our lab, | 他是实验室里的一位助手 |
[30:42] | a medical student, | 一名医学生 |
[30:44] | and they were friendly. | 他们处得很好 |
[30:47] | Friendly how? | 怎么个好法 |
[30:49] | Well, more friendly | 在我看来 |
[30:50] | than a nun should be with a young man, in my opinion. | 比一般的修女和年轻人亲热得多 |
[30:55] | He’s a good boy at heart, but he acts up. | 他本质上是个好男孩 但是他很调皮 |
[30:59] | You look beautiful, Grace. | 格蕾丝 你真美 |
[31:01] | – I can’t tell you that? – Clay, he needs a family. | -这话我都不能说吗 -克雷 他需要一个家 |
[31:05] | I’m worried he won’t get one if he doesn’t change. | 我担心如果他屡教不改 他就不能被领养了 |
[31:08] | He’ll outgrow it. | 他慢慢会好的 |
[31:09] | No. It’s getting worse. | 不 他越来越调皮了 |
[31:12] | Please help him. | 请帮帮他吧 |
[31:15] | I don’t know what you want me to do. | 我不明白你想让我做什么 |
[31:18] | The treatment you give the patients here… | 你为这里病人所做的治疗… |
[31:20] | – That’s not for children. – Does it work? | -儿童不宜 -有效吗 |
[31:23] | It’s very effective. | 非常有效 |
[31:25] | Calms them down, right? | 能让他们冷静下来 是吧 |
[31:27] | Right. | 是的 |
[31:28] | I know it could help him. | 我就知道这能帮到他 |
[31:31] | Grace… | 格蕾丝… |
[31:31] | There’s an adoption party tomorrow. | 明天有个领养聚会 |
[31:34] | Please. For me, Clay? | 拜托了 克雷 就当为了我 |
[31:41] | Did you ever see the boy they were talking about? | 你看到过他们谈论的那个小孩吗 |
[31:43] | That same night — I was leaving, | 我离开的那个晚上 |
[31:45] | I saw Grace again with that little boy in tow. | 我又看到了格蕾丝 还拖着那个小男孩 |
[31:50] | Where were they going? | 他们去了哪里 |
[31:51] | I assumed to see Clayton, to get that treatment she asked for. | 我认为是去见克雷顿 去进行她要求的那个治疗 |
[31:56] | What was that treatment? | 什么治疗 |
[31:58] | ECT. | 电休克疗法 |
[31:59] | Shock treatment. | 休克疗法 |
[32:01] | I remember that night, because that’s the only time | 我记得那个晚上 是因为那是我 |
[32:05] | I ever saw Grace out of her habit. | 唯一一次见到格蕾丝改变形象 |
[32:08] | I never even knew she had blonde hair. | 我之前都不知道她有一头金发 |
[32:11] | What was she wearing that night? | 她那晚穿的什么 |
[32:14] | A plaid coat. | 一件格子外套 |
[32:18] | A green plaid coat. | 绿色的格子外套 |
[32:25] | Sounds like Sister Grace and Clayton were some kind of item. | 听起来格蕾丝修女和克雷顿是一伙儿的 |
[32:29] | And he knew how to administer ECT, | 而且他知道如何实施电休克疗法 |
[32:30] | which was supposed to control wild behavior. | 这是用来控制粗野行为的 |
[32:32] | And she wanted a boy controlled for an adoption party. | 为了领养聚会 她希望那个男孩彬彬有礼 |
[32:35] | There was a party at Fernwood on April 5. | 四月五日 芬伍德有场聚会 |
[32:38] | The day before Arnold was found. | 正是阿诺德被发现的前一天 |
[32:40] | So maybe on April 4, | 也许在四月四日 |
[32:41] | Grace and Arnold secretely come to the Institute. | 格蕾丝和阿诺德暗地里去了研究院 |
[32:43] | She’s wearing lay clothes so no one recognizes her… | 她换下了修女装 所以没人能认出她来 |
[32:46] | Except for Sally the busybody. | 除了爱管闲事的莎莉 |
[32:48] | She’s in a green plaid coat, | 她穿着绿色的格子外套 |
[32:49] | just like the woman our Rabbit Guy | 就跟多年后兔子兄 |
[32:51] | saw in that field over the years. | 在野外看到的女人一样 |
[32:53] | Probably Grace. | 可能是格蕾丝 |
[32:54] | And before you give shock treatment, | 在进行电击疗法之前 |
[32:55] | you cut off the patient’s hair. | 你得剪掉病人的头发 |
[32:57] | Grace had the same coat, all those years? | 格蕾丝这么多年来都一直留着这件外套吗 |
[32:59] | How many coats does a nun have? | 一位修女能有多少件外套啊 |
[33:01] | Why does she go to such lengths for this kid | 为什么她在这个小孩身上大费周章呢 |
[33:03] | when she’s got 60 kids who need help? | 要知道她可有六十个孩子要照顾 |
[33:05] | Yeah. Why Arnold? | 是啊 为什么是阿诺德呢 |
[33:06] | Sally makes it sounds like Grace and Clayton had a relationship. | 莎莉暗示格蕾丝和克雷顿有私情 |
[33:09] | Yeah? | 是吗 |
[33:11] | We still don’t know who Arnold’s parents were. | 我们还不知道阿诺德的父母是谁呢 |
[33:14] | And why Grace doctored those intake records. | 还有为什么格蕾丝伪造那些入院记录 |
[33:17] | That’s sacrilegious. | 那是亵渎神明的 |
[33:19] | Lil, she was a nun. | 阿莉 她是修女 |
[33:21] | She was also human. | 她也是人 |
[33:29] | We can talk here. | 在这里说就行 |
[33:31] | You probably don’t want | 你大概不想让 |
[33:31] | the sisters overhearing this conversation. | 别的修女无意中听到这段对话 |
[33:34] | What is it now? | 又怎么了 |
[33:36] | We think we know who Arnold’s mother was. | 我们大概弄清楚阿诺德的母亲是谁了 |
[33:56] | I didn’t want to tell the story of Grace. | 我不想说格蕾丝的事 |
[33:59] | I know you didn’t. | 我知道你不想 |
[34:01] | But a little boy died, Vivian. | 但是有个小孩死了 薇薇安 |
[34:03] | Her little boy. | 她的小孩 |
[34:08] | Grace was… not a good nun. | 格蕾丝不是个好修女 |
[34:12] | No kidding. | 真的吗 |
[34:13] | She was dreamy. Weak. | 她爱幻想 又脆弱 |
[34:16] | She had good intentions, | 她本性不错 |
[34:19] | she just didn’t have self-control. | 但是缺乏自制力 |
[34:23] | Do you know Clayton Waters? | 你认识克雷顿·沃尔特斯吗 |
[34:26] | He was Grace’s ruin. | 他是格蕾丝的劫数 |
[34:28] | She was in love with him? | 她爱上他了吗 |
[34:30] | Till the day she died. | 爱了一辈子 |
[34:32] | When she was 18, she came to me | 她十八岁那年来找我 |
[34:35] | and told me she was pregnant. | 告诉我她怀孕了 |
[34:37] | I probably should have just told Mother Superior, | 我本该告诉修道院院长的 |
[34:39] | but instead, I helped her go away for a few months. | 但是我却帮她避了几个月风头 |
[34:45] | You and Grace were close? | 你和格蕾丝很亲密吗 |
[34:47] | Like blood sisters. | 情同手足 |
[34:50] | She promised to leave the baby at a Pittsburgh orphanage. | 她保证把小孩留在匹兹堡孤儿院 |
[34:53] | But she just couldn’t, and so she brought him back to Fernwood. | 但是她做不到 所以她把他带回了芬伍德 |
[34:56] | And slipped him in as Gretchen’s brother. | 把他当做格雷琴的弟弟混了进来 |
[35:00] | He became our cross to bear. | 他成了我们的苦难 |
[35:03] | Misbehaving all the time. | 一直调皮捣蛋 |
[35:05] | Couldn’t hold on to a family. | 不能找到一个家庭 |
[35:07] | And he was getting older, less adoptable. | 他渐渐长大了 更加不可能被领养了 |
[35:11] | Did he know Grace was his mother? | 他知道格蕾丝是他母亲吗 |
[35:16] | We never told him… | 我们从来没告诉过他… |
[35:25] | but I think a part of him knew that he was home with Grace. | 但是我觉得他内心知道格蕾丝和他是一家人 |
[35:30] | That’s why he kept coming back. | 这就是他一直回来的原因 |
[35:33] | So what happened to Arnold on April 4? | 4月4号那天 阿诺德出什么事了 |
[35:37] | Oh, April 4… well… | 4月4号 |
[35:40] | On April 4, Grace was desperate to find him a home. | 4月4号那天 格蕾丝不顾一切想给他找个家 |
[35:44] | Right. | 对啊 |
[35:46] | Before I tell you the rest, | 在我说下去之前 |
[35:47] | I want you to know that everything Grace did, | 我想要你了解格蕾丝做的每件事 |
[35:49] | she did because she loved him. | 都是因为她爱他 |
[35:55] | Vivian. Vivian! | 薇薇安 薇薇安 |
[35:59] | What are you wearing? | 你怎么能穿这身衣服 |
[36:01] | Arnold’s sick. | 阿诺德病了 |
[36:07] | What in the world happened? | 到底发生什么事了 |
[36:10] | Clayton treated him. To help him behave. | 克雷顿治疗了他 帮他安分点 |
[36:15] | You’re not supposed to see Clayton. | 你不该去见克雷顿的 |
[36:17] | We had to cut his hair off, | 我们得剪掉他的头发 |
[36:20] | his beautiful hair… | 他美丽的头发… |
[36:23] | Did Clayton say he’d be sick like this? | 克雷顿说过他可能会这样吗 |
[36:25] | He said he might feel tired, | 他说过他可能会觉得很累 |
[36:27] | but… Vivian, he’s got such a fever. | 但是 薇薇安 他烧得好厉害 |
[36:34] | We have to pray for him. | 我们得为他祈祷 |
[36:37] | I thought it would help. | 我以为那会有用的 |
[36:40] | He’d behave, and then some couple would want him, and keep him. | 他会乖乖的 然后某对夫妇会要他 留下他 |
[36:44] | Say a prayer, Grace. | 作祷告吧 格蕾丝 |
[36:50] | It was supposed to calm him, | 治疗效果本该是让他平静 |
[36:53] | to control him. | 让他规矩 |
[36:56] | Grace never dreamt it would be harmful. | 格蕾丝一点都没想到那可能有害 |
[37:00] | Did Arnold make it to the adoption party? | 阿诺德撑到领养聚会了吗 |
[37:03] | No. | 没有 |
[37:05] | No, his fever got worse. | 他烧得越来越厉害 |
[37:14] | We’re out of punch, Sister Vivian. | 我们没有潘趣酒了 薇薇安修女 |
[37:17] | Mm.. th-there’s a new box in the kitchen. | 厨房里有一箱酒 |
[37:21] | Where’s Arnold? | 阿诺德在哪里 |
[37:23] | He’ll be down soon. | 他很快就会下来 |
[37:27] | Go talk to people. | 去和人聊天吧 |
[37:46] | He’s going, Vivian. | 他要死了 薇薇安 |
[37:49] | I’ll… meet you… | 我会… 来见你… |
[37:53] | Oh, Arnold… | 阿诺德… |
[37:56] | I hope you know I loved you. | 真希望你知道我爱你 |
[37:59] | … I’ll meet you at the horses. | 我会在马匹处见你 |
[38:44] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[38:47] | Clean the room up. | 把房间收拾干净 |
[38:49] | – I wanna come. – Grace! | -我想去 -格蕾丝 |
[38:52] | This is not one of your little screwups. | 这不是你平常闯的小祸 |
[38:55] | This is very serious. | 这次闹大了 |
[39:26] | I’m coming, too. | 我也要去 |
[39:59] | 歌曲:Sweeter Than You 歌手:Rick Nelson | |
[40:41] | 阿诺德 格蕾丝的爱子 | |
[40:46] | 1936-2004 | 格蕾丝·阿什莉 |