时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:20] | Dearest reader. | 亲爱的读者 |
[00:22] | It has been said that competition | 常言道 竞争即机遇 |
[00:24] | is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready | 助我等丰盈羽翼 |
[00:28] | before our greatest of challenges. | 攻克难关 |
[00:31] | Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, | 若笔者今早所闻为实 |
[00:34] | then a great challenge | 一道艰险难关 |
[00:36] | concerning this season’s diamond has been set forth, indeed. | 的确已经出现在追求 本季钻石淑女的道路之上 |
[00:41] | Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma | 想跟埃德温娜莎尔玛小姐说上话 |
[00:45] | must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast | 追求者必须首先驯服一只闺中老兽 |
[00:50] | otherwise known as her sister. | 也就是她的刺儿头姐姐 |
[00:54] | Lord Lumley. At the top. | 拉姆利大人排最前头 |
[00:56] | Is he not something of a dandy? | 他不是个花花公子吗? |
[00:57] | – I would use the term gallant. – Is that what you look for, Edwina? | -我倒觉得该说他殷勤 -你喜欢这样的吗? |
[01:03] | If Kate believes in him, so do I. | 如果凯特觉得合适 我也觉得合适 |
[01:05] | – Miss Sharma? – Miss Edwina Sharma. | -莎尔玛小姐? -埃德温娜莎尔玛小姐 |
[01:08] | Not the sister. | 不是那个姐姐 |
[01:10] | Miss Edwina will suffice. | 埃德温娜小姐就挺好 |
[01:12] | I see you’ve left off Lord Bridgerton. | 你好像没排布里杰顿大人 |
[01:14] | Oh, now, he is what Edwina is looking for. | 埃德温娜倒是挺中意他 |
[01:17] | An oversight on your part, my dear? | 依你看他有不妥之处? |
[01:19] | Lord Bridgerton is quite adept at conveying false first impressions. | 布里杰顿大人十分擅长 初见时假意讨好 |
[01:23] | What did you hear? | 你听到什么传言了? |
[01:24] | He stated rather clearly that he seeks a wife only to fulfill his duty | 他自己明确说过 娶妻只是为了尽义务 |
[01:28] | and does not believe in love at all. | 他根本不相信爱情 |
[01:30] | It is only out of the greatest love of my family | 出于对家族的赤诚之爱 |
[01:32] | that I aim to choose a bride with my head and not my… | 我择偶之时才要多动脑筋 而不是… |
[01:36] | heart. | 动什么心 |
[01:37] | And you find this unusual? | 你觉得这种想法太过奇葩? |
[01:40] | Most marriages of the ton are, in fact, mere matters of business, my dear. | 亲爱的 伦敦上流社会的多数婚姻 实质都是利益交易 |
[01:45] | Matters that have been working for centuries. | 数个世纪以来皆是如此 |
[01:47] | It is the true love match that is quite rare. | 因真爱而结合反倒是凤毛麟角 |
[01:51] | Does Miss Edwina return your affection? | 埃德温娜小姐回应你的示好了? |
[01:53] | Not yet. She would have done if it were not for… | 还没 本来有希望的 都怪… |
[01:56] | The sister. | 那个姐姐 |
[01:58] | – She’s rather thorny, I take it? – Indeed. | -看来是个刺儿头? -没错 |
[02:00] | You know what it is you are looking for, Bon. | 小妹 你知道自己想要什么 |
[02:03] | You must not forget it. | 一定要牢记啊 |
[02:04] | Lord Lumley will turn the viscount into a distant memory. | 拉姆利大人一出现 子爵就不值一提了 |
[02:08] | – I am certain. – Though she need not trouble me. | -一定是这样 -不过我用不着为她苦恼 |
[02:12] | Every rose does have its thorn, after all. | 是玫瑰都带刺 |
[02:14] | Of course, the only competition | 当然 我所关注的 |
[02:16] | that compels my attention is the game of courtship. | 唯有芳心之争 |
[02:20] | So best of luck to this year’s players. | 祝本季各位选手好运 |
[02:23] | Do try not to stumble on the starting line. | 尽量别栽在起跑线上 |
[02:35] | Many dismiss Blake’s work as childlike, insubstantial… | …还贬称布莱克的作品幼稚、空洞… |
[02:41] | Miss Sharma, am I to be kept at this threshold all day? | 莎尔玛小姐 难道我一整天都要被挡在门外? |
[02:44] | Lumley’s already had an inordinate amount of time with her. | 拉姆利已经进去好一阵了 |
[02:47] | That is because my sister is so enraptured with him at the moment. | 那是因为我妹妹与他相谈正欢 |
[02:51] | You wouldn’t want me to interrupt your discourse | 等轮到你时 |
[02:53] | when it is your turn, would you? | 你总不想被我打断 对吧? |
[02:55] | I say we heed the young lady | 依我看我们就听这位小姐的 |
[02:57] | and wait with the grace our hostess affords us. | 静待女主人召唤 |
[02:59] | Thank you, Lord… | 感激不尽 敢问… |
[03:02] | Bridgerton. | 布里杰顿 |
[03:03] | I’m afraid you are much too late, my lord. | 可惜你来得太迟 大人 |
[03:06] | You now find yourself at the back of a very considerably long queue. | 前面已经排龙队了 |
[03:11] | I wish to escort Miss Edwina to the races this afternoon. | 我打算下午陪埃德温娜小姐去赛马会 |
[03:14] | My sister already has an escort this afternoon. | 我妹妹已经有人陪同了 |
[03:16] | – Tomorrow then. – She’s engaged tomorrow too. | -那就明天 -她明天也有约了 |
[03:18] | And the day after? | 那后天呢? |
[03:19] | Now that I think of it, she may be free… | 仔细一想 |
[03:21] | – Ah. – …after December. | 她应该…12月之后有空 |
[03:22] | Unless, of course, she is on her honeymoon by then. | 除非那时在度蜜月 |
[03:27] | Did I say something funny? | 我的话很好笑吗? |
[03:29] | I believe you did. | 好像是 |
[03:30] | What is funny, my lord, is you here now, | 好笑的是大人你 舞会当晚 |
[03:32] | after what I overheard the other night… | 说了那种话 今日居然还敢出现… |
[03:35] | That was not for your ears. | 那些话不是说给你听的 |
[03:36] | But also, in addition to everything I have now read of you, | 更何况 除了参阅过多方描述 |
[03:39] | your dubious and libertine reputation goes before you. | 我对你那似真似假的 风流之名亦已久仰 |
[03:41] | No intrusions, Bridgerton! End of the queue. | 布里杰顿 别插队! 后面排着去! |
[03:45] | – Yes, that’s right. – That’s right. | -就是 这才对嘛 -说得没错 |
[04:01] | Is that a copy of Lady Whistledown? | 这不是维斯道恩女士的小报吗? |
[04:04] | – It is. – I thought we were done with her. | -没错 -不是说不看了吗 |
[04:06] | Do not discourage her, Penelope. | 佩内洛普 你先别打击她 |
[04:08] | If she has taken an interest in Lady Whistledown again, | 如果她又对维斯道恩女士有了兴趣 |
[04:11] | perhaps she’s interested in what she has to say | 兴许也能对维斯道恩 |
[04:13] | about the season’s available gentlemen too. | 评论的本季绅士人选有点兴趣 |
[04:16] | I cannot think of any cleverer way to say this, but no. | 我能给出最机智的回答是 并没有 |
[04:21] | Her latest is not exactly the philosophical treatise | 最新的一期没什么深度 |
[04:24] | on the rights of the fairer sex I was hoping for, but… | 我想看的女权话题也只字未表 不过… |
[04:26] | I do not think Lady Whistledown | 我倒不觉得维斯道恩女士 |
[04:28] | has changed her style of writing since her last issue. | 与上期相比文风大变 |
[04:30] | Perhaps not. But perhaps she still can. | 也许吧 不过兴许还有的变 |
[04:32] | Perhaps she does not want to. | 兴许她不想变 |
[04:34] | Perhaps she is quite content. | 也许她这样写着高兴 |
[04:35] | And if she’s even sparked your renewed interest, El, | 小埃 如果连你都对她重燃兴致 |
[04:38] | then perhaps whatever she is doing is working. | 也许说明她真有可取之处 |
[04:40] | Yes, but she could do so much more. | 话是这么说 可她明明可以大有作为 |
[04:42] | I know I could convince her of it. If I were to find her this time. | 如果这次能找到的话 我一定能说服她 |
[04:46] | What you must find, my dear, is happiness. | 亲爱的 你要找的是幸福 |
[04:49] | Penelope, assist me here. | 佩内洛普 帮我说句话 |
[04:50] | Eloise could find that with someone else, could she not? | 埃洛伊斯可以 从他人身上获得幸福 不是吗? |
[04:53] | I believe she could. And not Lady Whistledown, | 我同意 当然 我不是指维斯道恩女士 |
[04:56] | but someone more like… Colin. | 而是像…科林 |
[04:59] | – My brother? – No, not Coli… Colin! | -我哥哥? -不是 科…科林! |
[05:01] | Glad to see things have not changed. | 家中一如从前 真好 |
[05:03] | – Brother! – Colin! | -弟弟! -科林! |
[05:04] | Could you set aside the latest family squabble and embrace me? | 别光忙着斗嘴 |
[05:09] | I did not expect you to return so soon, dearest. | 先拥抱一下我如何? 没想到你这么快就回来了 |
[05:13] | Well, I missed you all. What can I say? | 没办法 我不是想你们了嘛? |
[05:21] | – Brother! | – Brother! 哥哥! |
[05:24] | I believe we must get you to the doctor post-haste. | 要我说你得赶紧看看医生 |
[05:27] | This strange, fuzzy growth on your chin is some kind of disease. | 下巴上毛毛茬茬 肯定是什么病症 |
[05:30] | And you seem to have taken to the sun too. How peculiar. | 而且好像还晒黑了 好奇怪 |
[05:34] | – I think he looks distinguished. – I’m now two inches taller than Gregory. | -看起来一表人才 -我现在比格里高利高两寸呢 |
[05:36] | You are not. | 才不是呢 |
[05:39] | And where, may I ask, is our intrepid viscount? | -我们英勇的子爵身在何处? |
[05:41] | He is… | -他… |
[05:43] | back from courting already. | …这就献完殷勤回来了 |
[05:45] | Colin! You are returned. Even better. | 科林!你回来了 那更好 |
[05:47] | Family, I should like you all to ready yourselves for the races today. | 各位至亲 请大家梳洗打扮 准备出席今日的赛马会 |
[05:51] | We will be attending, united as one. | 全家要齐齐整整 |
[06:00] | I told him it would never do, ma’am, but he insisted. | 夫人 我跟他说了这样要不得 但他还是一意孤行 |
[06:05] | Is that Cousin Jack’s? | 这都是杰克表哥的吗? |
[06:07] | Cousin? Is that what he asked you to call him? | 表哥?他让你这么叫的? |
[06:10] | Are you bothered by him, Mama? | 妈妈 您看他不顺眼吗? |
[06:12] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
[06:14] | The new Lord Featherington has come to shower us with many riches indeed. | 新来的费瑟灵顿阁下为我们多有破费 |
[06:18] | If we must endure a few… dubious style choices in return, | 非要我们容忍些 一言难尽的品味之选 |
[06:21] | along with some rather questionable matters of breeding, then | 还有些不成体统的教养 |
[06:26] | so be it. | 那也没办法 |
[06:27] | I also hear he wishes to convert the morning room | 我还听说他想把晨间起居室 |
[06:30] | into his own personal gaming hell. | 变成他私人的赌窝 |
[06:35] | Ah. Now, that looks splendid. | 如此甚好 |
[06:38] | Livens up the place, yes? | 给房中增添了生气 对吧? |
[06:40] | It is a happy addition, my lord. | 的确增色不少 |
[06:42] | Though, perhaps happier in your own bedchamber. | 如果放你自己卧房可能会更好 |
[06:44] | Have you shot them all, Cousin Jack? | 这些枪你全打过? |
[06:45] | Every weapon here has a splendid history and is worthy of interest, Penelope. | 每一支背后都有一段精彩的故事 值得探寻品味 |
[06:50] | I shall have to fill you in on all of my adventures one day. | 有朝一日 我会为你们细细道来 |
[06:53] | Now, ladies, run along and get dressed. We head to the Royal Races today. | 好了 速速打扮好 我们今天要参加皇家赛马会 (皇家阿斯科特赛马会) |
[07:05] | It will be an intimate ceremony. | 婚礼颇为隐秘低调 |
[07:07] | But Mr. Finch said he wished for nothing to distract from his bride, | 但芬奇先生说他不想分心 只想专注于新娘 |
[07:11] | if you can believe it. | 你能相信吗 |
[07:13] | I certainly cannot. Can you, Penelope? | 我肯定不信 你信吗 佩内洛普? |
[07:16] | Have you seen the Bridgertons? | 你见布里杰顿家的人没? |
[07:22] | It is a marvel you love literature as much as I do. | 没想到 你居然和我一样醉心文学 |
[07:24] | Do you enjoy Byron? | 你喜欢拜伦吗? |
[07:26] | I have read some, my lord. | 略有涉猎 |
[07:27] | Though I believe myself a novice when it comes to poetry. | 若论诗歌 我还只是初学 |
[07:30] | How fortunate to have found | 那么能有拉姆利大人 |
[07:32] | such a well-versed teacher in Lord Lumley, then. | 这样的博学之师 就太幸运了 |
[07:34] | Many find poetry a flat medium. Words read silently from a page. | 许多人视诗歌为无奇之词、纸上哑言 |
[07:38] | But I believe it is meant to be read aloud like music. | 但依我之见 诗歌应该 像音乐般出声咏吟 |
[07:41] | Here, I carry a small pocket copy of my favorites with me wherever I go. | 喏 我走到哪里都随身带着 这本至爱的小集 |
[07:45] | Lady Danbury. I would be so honored | 丹伯里女士 如您能成全 |
[07:47] | if you could facilitate a proper introduction. | 为我正式引荐 鄙人将感激不尽 |
[07:50] | I fear my calling card got lost in the shuffle at your home this morning. | 我的名片怕是今早在贵府弄丢了 |
[07:54] | Of course. | 当然 |
[07:55] | Mr. Thomas Dorset, allow me to introduce | 托马斯多塞特先生 容我为你介绍 |
[07:57] | Miss Sharma and Miss Edwina Sharma. | 莎尔玛大小姐 以及埃德温娜莎尔玛小姐 |
[08:00] | A pleasure. | 幸会 |
[08:01] | I am afraid my sister already has an escort for today, Mr. Dorset. | 多塞特先生 我妹妹今日 恐怕已经有人陪同了 |
[08:05] | That is very well. Though I was hoping to speak with you. | 没关系 我倒是很想 与大小姐你攀谈一二 |
[08:13] | How are you finding the season, Miss Sharma? | 莎尔玛小姐 你对本季印象如何? |
[08:15] | It is a season. Mr. Dorset, I really should… | 与往季别无二致 多塞特先生 我真的… |
[08:18] | London is a far cry from Bombay. | 伦敦与孟买截然不同 |
[08:21] | It is where you traveled from, yes? | 你就是来自那里 对吧? |
[08:24] | – Yes. – I have visited. | -是的 -我到过孟买 |
[08:26] | It is a wondrous place. | 真可谓神奇之地 |
[08:29] | – You must miss it dearly. – Oh, every minute of every day. | -你必定十分思念故土 -无时无刻不是如此 |
[08:32] | But most especially at teatime. | 尤其是饮茶之时 |
[08:45] | We should find our seats. | 我们该寻位就坐了 |
[08:47] | Allow me to join you. | 我与你一道 |
[08:51] | Bridgertons! | 布里杰顿兄弟! |
[08:53] | Mr. Mondrich. It appears retirement suits you well. | 蒙德里奇先生 引退生活看来甚是滋润啊 |
[08:57] | If only he were retired. | 真若隐退倒好了 |
[08:58] | Are you planning another foray into the ring? | 莫非还打算重返擂台? |
[09:00] | Into business, in fact. I am opening a gentlemen’s club. | 是投身商界 我正筹备 一间绅士俱乐部 |
[09:04] | Set to rival even the select haunts on St. James’s, if we are fortunate. | 若是走运 还能与圣詹姆斯区的 热门固所相媲美 |
[09:08] | You do know we have all been members of White’s since birth. | 你很清楚 我们生下来 就是怀特俱乐部的会员 |
[09:11] | Our grand opening is tomorrow night. You’re all invited… | 明晚开张 届时还邀请各位… |
[09:13] | Apologies. If you will excuse me. | 抱歉 失陪片刻 |
[09:16] | Tell me, Mr. Mondrich. I wouldn’t mind some stimulation. | 蒙德里奇先生 给我讲讲吧 我倒不介意找点刺激 |
[09:20] | Just look at your brother. | 就说你哥哥吧 |
[09:23] | The social season frustrated him at first too, | 本季他一开始不甚如意 |
[09:25] | but now it seems this Miss Edwina | 而这位埃德温娜小姐 |
[09:28] | has quickened his interest and pleasure in courtship. | 似乎让他提起了兴致 也更乐于求爱了 |
[09:31] | I only mean to say, Eloise, | 埃洛伊斯 我只想说 |
[09:33] | that we must be willing to look to find the partner that will excite us. | 心中有意愿 才能找到心动的伴侣 |
[09:37] | So dance with a bevy of frogs, | 也就是说 多找几只青蛙跳舞 |
[09:38] | and one of them might turn out to be a prince? | 兴许其中哪个能变王子? |
[09:40] | If that’s what you must do. | 倒也不是不行 |
[09:44] | Your father, you know… | 知道吗 你父亲… |
[09:46] | Are you listening to me? What do you have in your hand? | 你到底听没听我说话? 你手里拿的是什么? |
[09:49] | Nothing, Mama. It is only a pamphlet on | 没什么 妈妈 就是本 |
[09:52] | new methods for the tidying of dogs, apparently. | 洁犬新法的宣传册而已 |
[09:55] | Well, a lady is allowed her hobbies, is she not? | 淑女也可以有爱好 不是吗? |
[09:58] | – Thank you. | – Thank you. -谢谢 -谢谢 |
[10:04] | Mr. Dorset, you travel widely, then? And continuously, it seems. | 多塞特先生 看样子你走南闯北 且步履不停? |
[10:08] | Well, for my studies. I find medicine particularly fascinating. | 主要是为求学 我对医学尤有兴趣 |
[10:12] | The helping of others is a noble interest, indeed. | 救助他人 意趣实属高尚 |
[10:15] | Mr. Dorset is much like you in that regard, Sister. | 姐姐 如此说来 多塞特先生与你很是投缘呢 |
[10:19] | Edwina, have you spoken to Lord Lumley of his interests at all? | 埃德温娜 那你有没有跟拉姆利大人 聊聊他的兴趣… |
[10:23] | Lord Bridgerton. | 布里杰顿大人 |
[10:24] | Miss Sharma. Miss Edwina. Lumley. | 莎尔玛大小姐 埃德温娜小姐拉姆利 |
[10:28] | How delightful to see you, my lord. | 大人 见到你真高兴 |
[10:30] | Lord Bridgerton, allow me to introduce myself. | 布里杰顿大人 |
[10:32] | Mr. Thomas Dorset. | 请容我自我介绍 托马斯多塞特先生 |
[10:35] | Miss Edwina, I was hoping to call on you this morning… | 埃德温娜小姐 我本想今早拜访… |
[10:37] | My sister is well aware of everything… | 我妹妹非常清楚… |
[10:39] | …but promised my family to join them for breakfast. | …但我已经答应与家人共进早餐 |
[10:41] | We are exceptionally close. Break our fasts together regularly. | 我们的感情十分之好 |
[10:45] | Oh. | 经常一起吃早餐 |
[10:46] | There they all are now. | 今天他们也悉数到场了 |
[10:50] | One can tell a great deal about a man from his family, I rather think. | 一个人的品性从其家庭可见一斑 |
[10:54] | Yes, there are many excellent, | 贵族圈中一定有不少和睦望族 |
[10:56] | affectionate families of the ton. Are there not? | 不是吗? |
[10:58] | Though none quite as inviting as the Bridgertons. | 但很少能像布里杰顿家族这般热情 |
[11:01] | My mother’s been wanting to enjoy | 我母亲一直希望 |
[11:02] | another tea at Bridgerton House for some time. | 能再到贵府茶叙 |
[11:05] | Well, we must gratify your wish, Lumley. | 我们乐意招待 |
[11:07] | Speaking of refreshments, | 说到茶点 |
[11:09] | I could not help but notice the ladies are without. | 女士们好像还无可享用呢 |
[11:11] | We are content, thank you. | 这样就很好 多谢 |
[11:12] | It is an unseasonably hot day, and any gentleman would make sure… | 今日热得出奇 绅士理应… |
[11:15] | Miss Edwina, allow me to fetch a lemonade for you. | 埃德温娜小姐 容我为你取一杯柠檬汁来 |
[11:18] | Oh, that would be most agreeable. Thank you, my lord. | 如此甚好 大人 感激不尽 |
[11:24] | Excuse me. | 借过 |
[11:31] | It’s a splendid day for a race. | 真是赛马的好天气啊 |
[11:50] | – Pen. – Oh, Colin! | -小佩 -科林! |
[11:52] | We did not get a chance to speak this morning. | 今早我们没说上话 |
[11:54] | We did. I said, “Colin!” But, then again, it was nothing of note. | 其实有 我说:“科林!” 不过还是没人注意 |
[11:59] | I had wanted to hear more about your travels. | 我一直都想多了解些你旅行的见闻 |
[12:01] | I thought you would’ve been bored of my travels by now. | 我以为你一定已经听腻了 |
[12:03] | You read and replied to more of my letters than anyone else. | 毕竟你回我信最勤快 |
[12:06] | I suppose I did, though, | 也许是吧 然而 |
[12:08] | there is always much more to say than one can put onto the page. | 书信之所表终归不及言语 |
[12:13] | Pen. | 小佩 |
[12:15] | How have you been? | 你近况如何? |
[12:16] | Well. I have been well. And you? | 我很好 那你呢? |
[12:20] | Do not answer that. I know how you have been. | 别回答 我知道你的近况 |
[12:23] | Exploring the slopes of Mount Olympus, falconry with the Turks. | 造访奥林匹斯群山 与土耳其人一起训鹰 |
[12:25] | It was quite exhilarating. | 很刺激 |
[12:27] | Also lonely, perhaps? | 想必是孤身一人吧? |
[12:30] | Mmm. | |
[12:31] | Well, I was never on my own, of course. | 其实一直都不是一个人 |
[12:33] | – I see. You met someone… – Pen! I finally found you. | -原来如此 你遇到某位… -小佩!可找到你了 |
[12:36] | You always do. | 你总是找得到 |
[12:37] | You’ve been back hours, yet you are already in my way. | 才刚到家 你就碍我的事 |
[12:41] | How I have missed you too, El. | 我也想你 小埃 |
[12:45] | I believe I have made a discovery. Whistledown’s new printer. | 我有新发现 维斯道恩的新印刷商 |
[12:48] | – Impossible. – To mere mortals, perhaps. | -不可能 -一般人可能办不到 |
[12:49] | I am beginning to sense my true power now. Do you notice the way this pamphlet feels? | 但我开始觉察到自己的真本事了 你有没有发现 这册子的质感有何特别? |
[12:53] | Like paper? | 不就是纸吗? |
[12:55] | Precisely. The paper stock is the same texture as that of Whistledown. | 没错 纸料的质地 跟维斯道恩小报的相同 |
[12:58] | Does not all paper feel the same? | 纸张不都一个样吗? |
[12:59] | Texture, weight, grain, the way the light seeps through | 质地、轻重、纹理、透光性 |
[13:02] | when you hold it to the sky. Look. | 对着天看 |
[13:07] | – Yes, I must seem mad. – I did not say… | -好吧 我很像发疯 -我可没说… |
[13:09] | You were thinking it. | 你就是这么想的 |
[13:10] | You seem passionate. But, El, it is likely a coincidence. | 小埃 你热心求索 但这很可能只是个巧合 |
[13:13] | That pamphlet is surely just what it appears to be. | 它可能只是本普通册子 |
[13:16] | Copious instructions for tending to a dog’s undergrowth, evidently. | 全面详解给狗理毛 |
[13:21] | Most likely. I suppose you are right. | 应该是 你说得对 |
[13:24] | Ugh. I must go and pretend to share in the joy of my sister’s impending nuptials. | 我姐姐即将成婚 我得去假装高兴了 |
[13:28] | Give the soon-to-be my regards. | 替我问候未来的小两口 (赞善里印刷坊贩售 伦敦1814年) |
[13:41] | Oh, really? | 是吗? |
[13:43] | Lord Lumley seems to have got lost | 看来拉姆利大人 |
[13:45] | on his journey back from the lemonade stand. | 去了趟饮品台 找不到回来的路了 |
[13:48] | I am happy to search for him. | 我可以去找他 |
[13:49] | It was the viscount who insisted on refreshments. | 是子爵大人非喝不可 |
[13:51] | Perhaps he might go? | 是不是应该由他去? |
[13:52] | With the race set to begin? | 趁着开赛的节骨眼? |
[13:54] | – Which one is your pick, my lord? – Edwina. | -大人 你押了哪匹马? -埃德温娜 |
[13:56] | Nectar. Well-bred, highly trained, | 琼浆 良种马 训练有素 |
[13:59] | and well-favored. | 品貌出众 |
[14:01] | – Nectar. Really? – Yes. | -琼浆? -没错 |
[14:04] | I have a feeling about him. | 我看好他 |
[14:06] | A feeling. | 看好 |
[14:07] | Pardon me? | 怎么了? |
[14:08] | You simply chose the horse everyone else has chosen. | 你不过是跟风选马罢了 |
[14:10] | – Quite a “feeling.” – I made a strategic bet. | -好一个“看好” -我下注讲求策略 |
[14:13] | So you’ve considered your horse’s temperament, | 即是说你考虑了马的脾性 |
[14:15] | as well as the conditions of the track, | 以及赛道的状况 |
[14:16] | in order to properly assess its true potential? | 继而对马儿的真正潜力 做出了恰如其分的评估咯? |
[14:19] | – It is suddenly rather warm, is it not? – Nectar is a prize steed. | -天气是挺热的 对吧? -琼浆是匹宝驹 |
[14:21] | We should find a little more shade. | 我们应该找个阴凉处 |
[14:23] | Nectar ran well at Doncaster, but that was a firmer course. | 放到唐卡斯特比赛也许还行 但那里的路硬 |
[14:26] | The weather was much cooler. Thus his size was an advantage. | 天气也更凉爽 可以突显他的体格优势 |
[14:29] | Today the track is soft, and it is hot, | 今天的赛道偏软 加上天气炎热 |
[14:31] | meaning he will struggle to make headway, | 意味着他很难跑得动 |
[14:33] | overheat, and slow down during the final leg, | 燥热过度 冲刺减速 |
[14:36] | giving High Flyer, a much swifter, lighter, cooler horse, the victory. | 而飞士则更灵活、更轻盈、 更沉着 定能拔得头筹 |
[14:42] | – You think too much about it. – And you, too little. | -你想得太复杂 -你想得太简单 |
[14:45] | It seems your guest has caught the attention | 丹伯里女士 看样子 你的贵宾 |
[14:47] | of the viscount, Lady Danbury. | 已经引起了子爵的注意 |
[14:49] | It would seem so. | 看似如此 |
[14:50] | You do understand that, as Miss Edwina’s sponsor, | 但你也知道 作为埃德温娜小姐的资助人 |
[14:54] | I should like to remain neutral until she has made her choice. | 在她做出选择之前 我倾向于保持中立 |
[14:57] | – Of course. – But as your friend, I will tell you. | -那是自然 -但作为朋友 我可以透露 |
[14:59] | There may be an obstacle in your son’s path. | 你儿子的求偶之路上可能有块绊脚石 |
[15:02] | The elder sister seems set against the match. | 那位大小姐似乎反对两人结缘 |
[15:05] | It seems Miss Edwina desires a love match, | 埃德温娜小姐渴望真爱 |
[15:07] | something the viscount clearly does not. | 而子爵显然对此无意 |
[15:10] | I see. | 原来如此 |
[15:14] | Perhaps her mind can be changed. | 也许她会改变想法 |
[15:18] | Perhaps so can the viscount’s. | 子爵也可能回心转意 |
[15:21] | Mmm. | |
[15:26] | My apologies for the delay. | 抱歉回来迟了 |
[15:28] | Not to worry. Lord Bridgerton has been keeping us entertained. | 没关系 布里杰顿大人 与我们相谈甚欢 |
[15:31] | I am quite certain he has. | 想必如此 |
[15:33] | There is plenty of room, my lord. | 大人 座位仍很宽裕 |
[15:49] | Yes! That’s it, Nectar! | 好!对了 琼浆! |
[15:50] | – Come now, High Flyer! – Yes! | -加油 |
[15:52] | Steady! Steady! | 飞士!稳住! -好! |
[16:05] | – Come now, High Flyer! – Come on! | -加油 飞士! -加油! |
[16:09] | – Should we separate them? – It’s all in good spirit. | -要不要把他俩分开? -他们没有恶意 |
[16:12] | – I think. – Yes, I am having such fun. | -应该是吧 -就是 我很享受 |
[16:17] | – …on! Come on! – Yes! | -…冲啊!加油! -好! |
[16:25] | – Oh! Yes! Yes! – Come on! | -好! -加油! |
[16:31] | Prudence! Stop hollering like a newsboy. | 普鲁登斯!别大呼小叫的 简直像个报贩子 |
[16:33] | Let her cheer. We’ve all won today. | 让她助助兴吧 今天大家都赢了 |
[16:39] | I must say, I have never bested a viscount before. | 不得不说 我还真没赢过子爵 |
[16:43] | Beating you feels the same as any other win | 赢你跟赢别人没区别 |
[16:45] | but somehow smells sweeter. | 滋味却美妙许多 |
[16:47] | Kate, does Nectar not remind you of the beloved horse I used to adore? | 凯特 琼浆是不是让你想起 我以前喜爱的那匹马儿? |
[16:50] | – Do you remember the one? – Oh, well, take my arm. | -你还记得吗? -挽着我 |
[16:52] | I’ll take you down to see him. | 我带你去看马 |
[16:57] | Excellent idea. | 主意不错 |
[16:59] | Miss Sharma, I must ask. Why do you jab at Lord Bridgerton so? | 莎尔玛小姐 我很想问一句 为何你如此针对布里杰顿大人? |
[17:03] | If the viscount is serious about courting my sister, | 如果子爵对我妹妹是出于诚心 |
[17:06] | is it not my duty to try his mettle? | 难道我不该对他试探一二吗? |
[17:08] | The viscount does not like to lose. | 子爵可不喜欢认输 |
[17:09] | He has never stomached it, even back at Oxford. | 以前在牛津时便事事争先 |
[17:14] | Oh. | |
[17:15] | Miss Sharma, I… | 莎尔玛小姐 我… |
[17:16] | You and the viscount know each other from Oxford? | 你们在牛津就认识了? |
[17:18] | – I thought you met today. – I have said too much. | -我还以为是今日初见 -是我多嘴了 |
[17:20] | You are going to say much more this very moment. | 现在可休想打住 |
[17:24] | He thought you’d judge me if you knew we were acquaintances. | 子爵认为 若你知道我们是故交 一定会对我有成见 |
[17:27] | But I must assure you that my interest in you today was genuine… | 但我向你保证 我是真心对你… |
[17:30] | Genuine in the sense you were sent here to distract me, | 真心即是说你是被派来让我分心 |
[17:33] | all so Lord Bridgerton could get closer to my sister. | 好让布里杰顿大人接近我妹妹 |
[17:37] | Kate, it is dreadful. | 凯特 太可怕了 |
[17:39] | They say Nectar is to be sent to the knacker’s yard. | 他们要把琼浆送去屠宰 |
[17:42] | We are leaving. | 我们要走了 |
[17:43] | I’ve heard of a sore loser, Miss Sharma, but never a sore winner. | 听说有输不起的 还真没见过赢不起的 |
[17:46] | Do not speak to me or my sister ever again. | 以后别再跟我或者我妹妹讲话 |
[17:49] | What has happened? | 怎么回事? |
[17:50] | It seems a second game was afoot today, | 显然今日是局中有局 |
[17:52] | and Lord Bridgerton made certain I play the fool. | 而我被布里杰顿大人骗得团团转 |
[17:54] | Let us go. | 我们走吧 |
[18:02] | I meant no harm. | 我并无恶意 |
[18:03] | I only wished to spend time with you. | 只是想多些时间与你相处 |
[18:22] | Whoa there. Whoa there. | 停! |
[18:32] | Miss Bridgerton, perhaps this is not such a wise decision. | 布里杰顿小姐 或许这不是明智之举 |
[18:35] | Seemed wise when you took my money to escort me here. | 你收钱同意陪我来时似乎挺明智的 |
[18:37] | I will return it. | 我可以退钱 |
[18:38] | This part of town is not safe for a young lady such as yourself. | 这片儿不安全 尤其您还是个大小姐 |
[18:41] | Take the other half. Keep a watchful eye. No turning back now. | 收好尾款 警觉着点儿 |
[18:56] | No. | 已经回不了头了 (赞善里印刷坊) |
[19:13] | What’s this? | 这是做什么? |
[19:14] | – Tell me what you know of her. – Of who? | -告诉我 你对她了解多少 -对谁? |
[19:17] | We know this is where Lady Whistledown prints. | 我们知道 维斯道恩女士 在这里印小报 |
[19:19] | – We do? – Why did you think we were here? | -是吗? -不然我们来干嘛? |
[19:21] | – I think you might be lost. – I think you’re evading my question. | -依我看是你迷路了 -依我看你是在回避问题 |
[19:25] | You never asked me a question. | 你什么都没问 |
[19:29] | What are those papers? | 这都是什么小报? |
[19:30] | Nothing for the likes of you. | 不是给你这种人看的 |
[19:32] | Perhaps you might get your trivial gossip from somewhere else. | 你还是上别处打探八卦去吧 |
[19:35] | That is not what… | 我可不是… |
[19:37] | I am not here in search of gossip. | 我不是来找八卦的 |
[19:39] | No? | 不是吗? |
[19:40] | Private information about the season’s most eligible bachelor, then? | 那就是打听 |
[19:44] | Mmm? | 当季钻石王老五的内部消息? |
[19:45] | Your assumptions are not the least bit surprising. | 也难怪你会妄加揣测 |
[19:47] | After all, a woman is allowed to have but two interests. | 毕竟女人能有的趣味无非两样 |
[19:49] | Marriage, or spewing slander about her peers, apparently. | 除了结婚 就是相互诋毁 |
[19:52] | It’d never occur to you that I am, in fact, hoping to find the writer | 你就没想过 也许我想找到那位作者 |
[19:55] | so that we may discuss much more intellective matters. | 一起探讨些有脑的话题吗? |
[19:58] | The rights of woman. | 女性权利 |
[20:00] | The exploration of her mind, | 探究她的思想 |
[20:01] | a mind which, I can already discern, is far, far superior to yours. | 人家可比你深刻得多 |
[20:08] | Is the shock you seem to be displaying at present | 看你这会儿一脸惊讶 |
[20:10] | due to the fact that I appear well-read and articulate? | 是因为我学识渊博、口齿伶俐? |
[20:14] | Or do you suffer from some medical ailment about which I should be informed? | 还是你害了什么病 需要跟我说一声? |
[20:26] | – This is not… – If women’s rights are what you’re after, | 这不是… |
[20:28] | then perhaps that is what you need to be reading. | 如果你找的是女权 也许就该读这个 |
[20:30] | New thoughts. Unsettling ideas. | 新思想 骇人观点 |
[20:33] | Not too unsettling for you, I hope? | 但愿没把你吓坏吧? |
[20:36] | Though, if I should ever see Lady what’s-her-name, | 不过 真要遇见那位啥啥夫人 |
[20:40] | I’ll be sure to let her know that her leading admirer says hello. | 我一定转告 她的头号仰慕者向她问好 |
[20:50] | I now pronounce you husband and wife. | 现在我宣布你们结为夫妻 |
[20:59] | Oh, how wonderful. | 多好啊 |
[21:02] | And to think, | 这么一想 |
[21:03] | we are all one family now, Lady Featherington. | 我们已经是一家人了 费瑟灵顿夫人 |
[21:07] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[21:08] | What a delightful thought. | 想想就高兴 |
[21:10] | We must tell the new Lord Featherington. | 我们应该知会 新来的费瑟灵顿阁下一声 |
[21:13] | Where is the new Lord Featherington? | 他现在人在哪里? |
[21:15] | He is here somewhere, to be sure. Let me find him. | 应该就在家中 我去找他 |
[21:19] | You ensured the dowry was paid? | 你确定嫁妆给了? |
[21:21] | Of course I ensured the dowry was paid! | 当然确定! |
[21:24] | – Mmm. – Ah. | |
[21:30] | I would’ve been in attendance, my lady, | 我本打算参加的 |
[21:32] | but seeing how you wished to keep the guest list small… | 但看你的意思 貌似不想让太多人出席… |
[21:35] | What use are elaborate weddings anyway, my lord, when there are | 那么多要紧的地方需要用钱 |
[21:38] | so many more important matters to spend one’s money on? | 婚礼还讲什么排场 是不是 大人? |
[21:41] | If you say so. | 随你怎么说吧 |
[21:42] | Especially with two more young ladies to wed and two more dowries to pay for. | 更何况还有两位淑女闺中待嫁 嫁妆必然少不了 |
[21:47] | My word, this is a perplexing puzzle. | 真是让人头晕脑胀 |
[21:49] | Apparently I needed less skill to dig my American mines | 比起在美国挖矿 |
[21:52] | than I do to understand my late cousin’s bookkeeping. | 看懂已故表亲的账本可费劲多了 |
[21:54] | Well, surely, to a man of your wealth, | 像你这样家财万贯之人 |
[21:56] | settling the estate’s affair shan’t be of much concern? | 料理家产应该不在话下吧? |
[21:59] | It’ll certainly make a difference to my immediate plans. | 但确实会影响到我的近期计划 |
[22:02] | Which would be? | 也就是…? |
[22:04] | It may serve you well to involve me in your plans, my lord. | 大人 告诉我兴许对你有好处 |
[22:07] | Perhaps we may act in concert in some way. | 也许你我能通力协作 |
[22:11] | You are new to town, after all. | 你初来乍到 |
[22:13] | You could use someone to keep you apprised of certain matters. | 有人帮忙 某些消息也灵通些 |
[22:16] | – Well, in that, you are correct, my lady. – Excellent… | -夫人此话有理 -太好了… |
[22:19] | Which is, indeed, why I plan on finding that someone | 正因如此 我才打算尽快 |
[22:22] | sooner rather than later. | 寻找这样一位帮手 |
[22:26] | Your new relations are asking for you. | 您的新亲家在找您 |
[22:30] | Perhaps all this can wait. | 这些也许可以稍后再办 |
[22:32] | Let us go and enjoy Philippa’s day. | 我们先庆祝菲利帕的大喜之日 |
[22:36] | I do relish weddings. Don’t you, Mrs. Varley? | 我很享受婚礼 |
[22:39] | Oh. | 你呢瓦里夫人? |
[22:41] | Certainly, my lord. | 当然 大人 |
[22:47] | He does have a pleasing smile. | 他笑容挺讨喜的 |
[22:50] | That smile will be the last thing we see | 等他娶个趾高气扬的丫头回来 |
[22:52] | after he installs some beef-witted chit into our drawing room | 冲着我们呵呵一乐 |
[22:55] | and ousts me out of my very own home. | 我被赶出自家大门 |
[22:57] | Let’s see how pleasing you find it then. | 到时候你再看讨喜不讨喜 |
[23:02] | To be fair, he did not exactly have many choices. | 说句公道话 他也是没办法 才出此下策 |
[23:06] | You forbade him to call on me. | 你不准他见我 |
[23:07] | – You think he was clever? – No. | -你觉得他挺聪明? -不是的 |
[23:09] | I think… | 我觉得… |
[23:10] | You told me Appa always said | 你告诉我 阿爸以前常说 |
[23:12] | it takes a courageous man to go after what he truly wants. | 知其所好而求之 乃谓大丈夫 |
[23:15] | Appa also said the mark of a true gentleman is honesty. | 阿爸还说过 心诚者乃谓真君子 |
[23:18] | Something the viscount notably lacks. | 而子爵大人显然有欠诚意 |
[23:30] | Your Majesty. | 王后陛下 |
[23:32] | Lady Danbury. | 丹伯里女士 |
[23:33] | Miss Sharma. And my diamond. | 莎尔玛大小姐 还有我的钻石淑女 |
[23:37] | This way. There is much to see. | 这边有请 可看的多着呢 |
[23:44] | They are called “zebra.” | 它们叫做“斑马” |
[23:45] | Striped horses from Africa, in fact. | 马儿身上长着条纹 从非洲来的 |
[23:49] | Seven more arrive next week. | 下周还会运来七只 |
[23:51] | Though I can’t think what to name them all. | 可我不知该取什么名字好 |
[23:53] | After 15 children, I seem to have run out of ideas. | 生了15个子女 能想到的名字都用光了 |
[23:56] | It is the most spectacular menagerie, Your Majesty. | 真是百兽云集啊 陛下 |
[23:59] | Indeed, it is. | 的确如此 |
[24:01] | Miss Edwina? | 埃德温娜小姐? |
[24:02] | Yes, Your Majesty? | 在 陛下? |
[24:04] | I do hope you have been enjoying the attention | 你获封钻石淑女 必定是颇受关注 |
[24:06] | you have surely been receiving as the season’s diamond. | 但愿你也乐在其中 |
[24:09] | Very much so, ma’am. It has been an exceptional honor. | 的确如此 夫人 我荣幸之至 |
[24:12] | It is not an easy mantle to take on, you realize. | 你肯定也意识到 想不负盛名并非易事 |
[24:16] | To have so many eyes upon you at all times. | 时时刻刻都备受瞩目 |
[24:19] | Regardless of the truth, people… nay, gossips, | 无论真相几何 凡夫俗子 不 搬弄是非之徒 |
[24:24] | they will contrive shameless falsehoods. | 总是会无耻捏造 |
[24:27] | Rumor can oftentimes be a great hardship to endure. | 流言往往难以承受 |
[24:30] | Just ask your mother. Just ask me. | 问问你母亲 问问我 |
[24:33] | My sister aspires to learn | 我妹妹非常渴望 |
[24:35] | from your illustrious example, Your Majesty. | 能向王后陛下多多讨教 |
[24:37] | Your marriage, the wondrous love you share with the king. | 您的美满婚姻 您与国王陛下的赤诚之爱 |
[24:40] | Edwina desires the very same. | 这也是埃德温娜渴望拥有的 |
[24:42] | And she shall receive it, | 她可以得到 |
[24:44] | should she know who to trust. | 前提是要信对人 |
[24:46] | Lady Danbury has been a steadfast guide for us this season. | 丹伯里女士是我们本季的坚定指引 |
[24:49] | And my sister has me watching her as well. | 同时还有我为妹妹把关 |
[24:52] | An inner circle, if there ever was one. | 这不就有了小圈子嘛 |
[24:55] | Though you must know there will be many people | 但你要知道 会有很多人 |
[24:57] | trying to break it apart for their own ends. | 会为了一己私欲 挑拨离间 |
[24:59] | When those persons inevitably reveal themselves | 一旦这种人被迫暴露了自己 |
[25:02] | and their rather sly intentions, | 心机毕露之时 |
[25:04] | I simply ask that you tell me who they are | 还请你告诉我此人身份 |
[25:07] | so that I may decide if they are worthy, of course. | 我自然也好断定是否名副其实 |
[25:10] | Miss Sharma, perhaps you would like | 莎尔玛大小姐 何不带令妹 |
[25:12] | to take your sister to see the rest of these splendid grounds. | 去欣赏园中剩余奇景 |
[25:15] | Yes. The cassowaries are just across the bridge. | 是啊 过了桥就能看见鹤鸵 |
[25:18] | But do not veer too close. | 但别走得太近 |
[25:20] | They are quite irritable. | 它们暴躁得很 |
[25:28] | Something tells me, ma’am, | 夫人 我怎么觉得 |
[25:30] | that there are quite a few sly intentions at work here. | 时才一番对话心机颇重啊 |
[25:35] | Was I so obvious? | 有那么明显吗? |
[25:36] | You seek to unmask Lady Whistledown with the help of your diamond. | 您是想借钻石淑女之手 揭开维斯道恩女士的身份之谜 |
[25:40] | The writer will assuredly seek access to her. And when she does, | 作家必定会想办法接近钻石淑女 而她一有动作 |
[25:43] | Her Majesty will be waiting. | 便会被陛下逮个正着 |
[25:45] | Is that why you chose Miss Edwina in the first place? | 您就是为这个才选了埃德温娜小姐? |
[25:48] | Someone who was not present last season… | 她是本季的新面孔… |
[25:50] | Meant she was someone I knew I could trust. | 对我来说便是可靠之人 |
[25:52] | – Yes. – Mmm. | 就是嘛 |
[25:54] | Lady Danbury. Don’t appear scandalized. | 丹伯里女士 别这么义愤填膺的 |
[25:58] | You relish this frivolity nearly as much as I do. | 这也是你的乐事 咱俩差不了多少 |
[26:01] | This season is different. | 这一季可不同以往 |
[26:05] | You may wish to spoil your own fun, Lady Danbury, | 丹伯里女士 你自己扫兴朕管不着 |
[26:08] | but you shall not ruin mine. | 但你可别坏了朕的好事 |
[26:11] | Let me show you where I house my elephant. | 我带你看大象去 |
[26:13] | Mmm. | |
[26:17] | She is pompous and arrogant and quite sure she knows best in every situation. | 她傲慢 还爱摆架子 总觉得自己无所不知 |
[26:20] | She sounds like a terrible nuisance. | 听着是挺讨厌的 |
[26:22] | Especially since you are the one who knows best in every situation. | 更何况老哥你才是无所不知 |
[26:30] | And the victor of every match today. | 今天还场场必赢 |
[26:32] | Less talking, more fencing. Brother. | 老弟 少说话 多练剑 |
[26:37] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[26:39] | Ready? | 准备好了? |
[26:45] | Do you know why I win every time? | 知道为什么我次次都赢吗? |
[26:47] | Because every time you lose, you claim we cheated. | 因为你一输就说我们作弊 |
[26:51] | Because I know my duties. | 因为我清楚自己的责任 |
[26:53] | What my purposes are and how to obtain them. | 知道目标为何 怎样实现 |
[26:56] | Which I will do when I make Miss Edwina my viscountess. | 所以 埃德温娜小姐一定能 成为我的子爵夫人 |
[27:06] | Miss Edwina and I are well-suited. | 我跟她非常合适 |
[27:08] | She is a lovely young lady. | 她是妙龄淑女 |
[27:11] | She wishes for children. | 想要生儿育女 |
[27:13] | She’ll make a perfectly agreeable wife. | 肯定是一位贤妻良母 |
[27:15] | What he means to say | 他其实是想说 |
[27:17] | is that he has already dismissed every other young lady in town. | 城里其他的姑娘都被他拒绝了个遍 |
[27:21] | You take too much upon yourself, Brother. | 你对自己太苛刻了 |
[27:23] | Perhaps your life might be easier if you pursued someone | 换个姐妹好说话的姑娘 |
[27:26] | with a less disagreeable sister. | 也许你的日子能好过点 |
[27:27] | Why should I be the one to admit defeat? | 为什么非得我认输? |
[27:32] | Regardless of which young lady I have chosen to pursue, | 不管我选择哪家小姐 |
[27:35] | there would’ve always been some obstinate father | 总会冒出个顽固的老爸 |
[27:38] | or meddlesome aunt into the picture. | 或是什么好管闲事的姑婆 |
[27:40] | I shall certainly not let some sister, especially one younger than me, | 我才不会让什么姐姐 妨碍我得到想要的东西 |
[27:43] | keep me from getting what it is I want. | 更何况她年纪还比我小 |
[27:45] | Whom you want, you mean? | 你是说 想要的人? |
[27:47] | Is this still a friendly match, or do we need to find some armor? | 这是友好切磋 还是我们得穿点盔甲? |
[27:50] | That is what you do not understand, Brother. | 这就是你不得要领之处 |
[27:53] | Benedict honors me by holding nothing back. | 本尼迪克特出于对我的敬重 拿出了自己的看家本事 |
[27:58] | As I now | 而现在 |
[28:00] | honor him. | 我也要尊重尊重他 |
[28:05] | Yah! Yah! | |
[28:08] | What honor. | 好一个尊重 |
[28:11] | Thank you, gentlemen, for the bracing exertion. | 多谢二位 真是难为你们了 |
[28:15] | Now it is time for me to secure my final victory for the day. | 在下今日尚有一战要赢 |
[28:20] | Wish me luck. | 祝我好运吧 |
[28:26] | They were called zebras, I believe. | 它们好像叫斑马 |
[28:29] | So it was a pleasant visit, then? | 看来此行甚是愉快? |
[28:31] | I’m quite sorry I was unable to attend. | 很遗憾我不能前往 |
[28:33] | I am certain it is not the last time we will be invited to the palace. | 日后我们肯定还会受邀入宫 |
[28:36] | Her Majesty seemed quite taken by Edwina, was she not, Lady Danbury? | 王后陛下对埃德温娜甚是喜爱 对吧 丹伯里女士? |
[28:41] | I was thinking. | 我刚才在想 |
[28:42] | A soiree this evening. | 今晚办场聚会 |
[28:45] | So that Miss Edwina may get to know her many suitors rather better. | 让埃德温娜小姐好好了解一下 众多的追求者 |
[28:50] | I shall see to everything. | 我会安排好一切 |
[28:53] | Sounds delightful. | 太好了 |
[28:54] | So long as we are judicious with our guest list. Pardon me. | 但我们得选对客人 失陪 |
[29:00] | Good boy. | 好孩子 |
[29:01] | How much clearer must I be? | 我已经说得很清楚了 不是吗? |
[29:02] | – I brought a gift for Miss Edwina. – Take your Trojan Horse elsewhere. | -我给埃德温娜小姐带来份小礼物 -把你的特洛伊木马牵走 |
[29:05] | I assure you, this is a very real horse. I’d not recommend trying to climb inside. | 这绝对是货真价实的马 还是别往里钻的好 |
[29:09] | – Truly, this is all a game to you. – I’m not here to play games. | -你还真拿这一切当儿戏了 -我不是来玩把戏的 |
[29:12] | Then what was Mr. Dorset, if not some deceitful prank? | 那个多塞特先生 不是骗人的把戏是什么? |
[29:15] | The business with Mr. Dorset was not so great a deceit as you imply. | 我请他的目的没有你说的那么不堪 |
[29:18] | And now you question my judgment. | 而你现在又质疑我的判断 |
[29:20] | Only because you questioned mine. | 那是因为你质疑我的判断 |
[29:22] | I have never met a man as brazenly presumptuous… | 我可真没见过像你这么狂妄的人… |
[29:25] | You do not even know me. | 你根本不了解我 |
[29:27] | I know you are polished. I know you are careful. | 我知道你处事圆滑 心思缜密 |
[29:29] | I know you make promises without so much as uttering a word. | 明明许诺却不落话柄 |
[29:32] | There is not much more I need to know. | 其他的不知也罢 |
[29:35] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 先生 |
[29:39] | Is this about what you heard on the terrace again? | 你还是对露台上的话耿耿于怀? |
[29:43] | You act as if I’m some kind of villain when every other woman in London aspires | 我一心示好 你却拿我当恶人看待 伦敦其他人家的小姐 |
[29:46] | for the kind of marriage I’m offering. You must know that. | 都巴不得与我结亲 这你肯定很清楚 |
[29:49] | You have been exceptionally clear | 你清清楚楚地表明 |
[29:51] | about what it is you do and do not wish for, | 你自己想要什么 不想要什么 |
[29:53] | but has it ever occurred to you | 可你想没想过 |
[29:54] | this might, in fact, be about what your sister wishes for instead? | 此番的关键在于你妹妹的意愿? |
[30:01] | Lord Bridgerton. | 布里杰顿大人 |
[30:03] | Miss Edwina. | 埃德温娜小姐 |
[30:05] | I have brought you a small token | 我为你带来份小礼物 |
[30:08] | to remember our fine time at the races yesterday. | 纪念昨日赛马会共度的美好时光 |
[30:11] | Oh. | |
[30:12] | The horse is for me? | 马是送给我的? |
[30:15] | – I thought you loved animals. – I do. | -你不是很喜爱动物嘛 -是的 |
[30:17] | But usually the kind that can curl up on my lap. | 但通常是可以蜷在我腿上的小动物 |
[30:24] | My apologies. | 抱歉 |
[30:26] | You said something about | 你之前说 |
[30:29] | Nectar reminding you of a beloved horse back at… | 琼浆让你想起以前喜爱的马儿… |
[30:31] | That horse is a character from a novel. | 那匹马是小说里写的 |
[30:34] | A novel of love, in fact. | 还是一本关于爱的小说 |
[30:36] | Something for which my sister is an enthusiast. | 我妹妹十分钟爱这一主题 |
[30:42] | I adore it, my lord. | 我很喜欢 大人 |
[30:44] | The horse is a generous gesture, indeed. | 此举甚是慷慨 |
[30:52] | Come, Edwina. We must return inside. | 走吧 埃德温娜 我们得进去了 |
[31:18] | Mr. Bridgerton! You honor me with your presence. | 布里杰顿先生! 你大驾光临 小店蓬荜生辉 |
[31:21] | The honor’s all mine, Mr. Mondrich. The place looks extraordinary. | 我荣幸之至 蒙德里奇先生 这地方真不错 |
[31:25] | Though, am I a little early? | 可我是不是来早了? |
[31:27] | The crowd will increase with time, naturally. | 慢慢地 人自然会多起来 |
[31:31] | I heard a rumor that you yourself are an artist. | 我听说你自己就是位艺术家 |
[31:34] | Oh. | |
[31:35] | I… dabble. | 我…略有涉猎而已 |
[31:38] | Then, | 那么 |
[31:40] | you must meet Mr. Cruikshank. | 你一定要认识一下克鲁伊克山先生 |
[31:43] | He’s a talented illustrator | 才华横溢的插画家 |
[31:44] | with many connections amongst artists and patrons. | 他结交了许多艺术家和赞助人 |
[31:47] | I’m always excited to meet talented people. | 结交才子是我的一大乐事 |
[31:49] | This is precisely what makes my establishment different, Bridgerton. | 这就是我家的独到之处 |
[31:53] | I know you and your brothers are comfortable at places like White’s, | 我知道你和你的兄弟 在怀特俱乐部十分自在 |
[31:57] | but every honest man, regardless of his title, rank, | 但任何一位正直之士 无论其头衔、地位、 |
[32:02] | or occupation, is welcome | 职业如何 我们一视同仁 |
[32:06] | to be here. | 全都欢迎 |
[32:08] | I must say, Mr. Mondrich, I’m quite overjoyed to see | 不得不说 我非常高兴看到 |
[32:11] | what a fine establishment you’ve built by the sweat of your own honest labor. | 你用辛辛苦苦赚来的血汗钱 经营起这么好的地方 |
[32:15] | Hear, hear. | 好样的 |
[32:46] | The tidying of dogs? | 洁犬? |
[32:47] | Yes. Perhaps you have a friend who finds the subject interesting. | 对 也许你有朋友对这一话题感兴趣 |
[32:52] | – Mother, are you quite well? – No. No, she is not. | -母亲 您没事儿吧? -她有事儿 |
[32:57] | I was unaware there was a ball this evening. | 我不知道今晚还有舞会 |
[32:59] | It is a soiree, rather. | 晚会小聚而已 |
[33:02] | Did you not receive your invitation from the Danbury footman? | 你没收到丹伯里家男仆送来的请柬? |
[33:06] | The soiree is at the Danbury House. | 原来是丹伯里家的晚会 |
[33:08] | And Miss Sharma likes to accuse me of playing games. | 莎尔玛大小姐还说我爱玩把戏 |
[33:11] | – Can you blame her? – What? | -这你能怪她吗? -什么? |
[33:16] | She is looking out for her sister. | 她是在保护自己的妹妹 |
[33:18] | She hopes to find her a love match. | 希望妹妹与相爱的人结合 |
[33:20] | And with you, apparently so forthright in your disdain for such a thing… | 而你 对这种事情嗤之以鼻 还毫不掩饰… |
[33:25] | Perhaps Miss Edwina’s other suitors plan on choosing words more wisely tonight. | 也许埃德温娜小姐的其他追求者 知道今晚要小心说话 |
[33:29] | Some are reading poetry, I hear. | 我听说还有人读诗 |
[33:32] | There is a lesson here for you somewhere, Anthony. | 安东尼 这对你也是个教训 |
[33:35] | I only hope that this time you will finally learn it. | 但愿这一次你能真正吸取 |
[33:38] | Come along. | 走吧 |
[34:15] | At least it is the men who are making fools of themselves this time. | 至少这一次 是男人们出洋相 |
[34:20] | – Was this your idea? – I wish I could take credit, but no. | -这是你的主意吗? -我倒巴不得邀功 可惜不是 |
[34:23] | Lady Danbury encouraged a poetry reading. | 丹伯里女士提议读诗 |
[34:25] | The men, thanks to their spirit and competition, | 而这帮男人因为生性好斗 |
[34:28] | concocted the rest of this farce on their own. | 自己攒出了这许多花样 |
[34:30] | Of course they did. | 可不是嘛 |
[34:34] | Oh, yes. Marvelous. | 很好 很精彩 |
[34:36] | You are the viscount’s sister, yes? | 你是子爵的妹妹吧? |
[34:38] | One of them. But do not hold it against me. | 妹妹之一 |
[34:42] | Ooh. | 但别为这个讨厌我 |
[34:48] | The fact the viscount is your relation almost makes me think better of him. | 单凭子爵跟你沾亲这一点 几乎让我对他生出几分好感 |
[34:52] | We should certainly not give him too much credit, now, should we? | 但这里面没他多少功劳 你说是不是? |
[35:00] | What? | 什么呀? |
[35:02] | Yes. Yes. | 好 |
[35:06] | How about a pause? | 我们小歇片刻如何? |
[35:10] | Yes. | 好 |
[35:24] | A beautiful dress. | 好漂亮的裙子 |
[35:26] | Oh. Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[35:28] | I quite like yours as well. | 你的也很美 |
[35:31] | – You have a sense of humor. – No, I did not mean… | -你真幽默 -不 我不是… |
[35:34] | I am being truthful. | 我是由衷的 |
[35:36] | It is quite beautiful, indeed. | 真的很漂亮 |
[35:38] | Well, I seem to have grown weary of the color. | 这个颜色我差不多已经穿腻了 |
[35:41] | I can understand. | 我能理解 |
[35:43] | Though, I suppose, in truth, it is not a matter of the color, | 但我想 颜色终究不是关键 |
[35:46] | but rather how one wears it. | 而是如何穿 |
[35:48] | You wear it well, Miss… | 你配得很美… |
[35:50] | Penelope. Featherington. | 佩内洛普费瑟灵顿小姐 |
[35:53] | Pardon me. | 失陪了 |
[36:03] | So, what will it be for you tonight? | 那么你今晚准备了什么绝活儿? |
[36:06] | A song? A jig? | 唱歌?跳吉格舞? |
[36:09] | Some hidden hoop-rolling talent you have yet to share with the world? | 莫非要展示隐藏已久的滚铁环绝技? |
[36:12] | I’m afraid I’m just a spectator. | 我今晚只旁观 |
[36:17] | So much interest shown in a young lady whom none of us really know. | 一位无人了解的淑女 大家却趋之若鹜 |
[36:20] | Hmm. Not a devotee of mystery, Pen? | 小佩 你不是最喜欢谜团吗? |
[36:22] | Me? No. | 我吗?不是 |
[36:24] | I am always turning to the final chapter first. | 我总是迫不及待先看最后一章 |
[36:28] | Speaking of mysteries, | 说到谜团 |
[36:31] | you must tell me the name of the young lady | 快给我说说 你在国外结识的姑娘 |
[36:33] | you met while out of the country. | 她叫什么名字 |
[36:36] | Now, what can you mean? | 什么意思? |
[36:37] | You mentioned, at the races, you were never lonely. I only assumed… | 赛马会时你说 自己不是孤身一人 我就以为… |
[36:42] | Never mind. | 算了 |
[36:45] | Look. There truly is someone hoop-rolling tonight. | 快看 今晚还真有人滚圆环 |
[36:50] | You are right. | 你说得没错 |
[36:52] | I was not exactly lonely on my travels. | 我旅行途中并非独自一人 |
[36:55] | I did begin a real conversation with someone. | 我与某个人展开了一场真心对话 |
[36:57] | Someone I had known for a very long time. | 此人与我相识多年 |
[37:00] | And yet, after everything that happened with Miss Thompson, | 然而 经历了与汤普森小姐的 那些波折 |
[37:03] | I realized | 我才意识到 |
[37:05] | I never truly knew this person at all. | 我完全不了解这个人 |
[37:09] | Myself. | 我自己 |
[37:10] | Yourself? | 你自己? |
[37:12] | I have you to thank. | 多亏了你 |
[37:14] | Your letters were so encouraging. | 你在信中百般鼓励 |
[37:17] | I thought, if Penelope can see me this way, | 让我觉得 如果佩内洛普这么看我 |
[37:20] | then surely I can too. | 那么我自己一定也可以 |
[37:22] | I was just | 我只是 |
[37:24] | so distracted by Miss Thompson. | 因为汤普森小姐心烦意乱 |
[37:27] | So I cleared my head, swore off women and love, and… | 所以我理清头脑 不再与女人谈情说爱… |
[37:32] | Well, I only wanted to fully understand myself | 我就是想 |
[37:35] | before stepping back into this world. | 好好地了解自己 然后再回归世俗 |
[37:38] | You’ve sworn off women, then? | 那你打算远离女人了? |
[37:40] | Well, for the time being. | 暂时是这样的 |
[37:42] | I am a woman. | 我也是女人 |
[37:45] | You are Pen. | 你是小佩 |
[37:47] | You do not count. | 你不算 |
[37:49] | You are my friend. | 你是我的朋友 |
[37:51] | Of course. | 当然 |
[37:52] | Your friend. | 你的朋友 |
[37:54] | How good to hear that. | 真令人快慰 |
[38:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[38:10] | Yes. I find it quite alluring too. | 是啊 我也觉得很迷人 |
[38:14] | The new Lord Featherington is certainly a man of taste, is he not? | 新来的费瑟灵顿阁下 颇有品味 不是吗? |
[38:17] | Lady Cowper. | 考珀夫人 |
[38:18] | Miss Cowper. | 考珀小姐 |
[38:21] | What an exquisite necklace. | 好精致的项链 |
[38:23] | Courtesy of the new Lord Featherington, I hear. | 听说是新来的费瑟灵顿阁下所赠 |
[38:26] | Oh. Did the lord not tell you? He called on us just this afternoon. | 他没告诉你吗? 他今天下午来我家拜访了 |
[38:30] | – I must have missed that. – Hmm. | 肯定是我忘记了 |
[38:32] | I was so busy with Philippa’s nuptials and everything else. | 我一直忙着菲利帕的婚事什么的 |
[38:37] | It’s quite a generous gesture, is it not? | 真是慷慨之举 不是吗? |
[38:39] | I do wonder what it means. | 也不知是何用意 |
[38:41] | It cannot mean much. | 不会有什么特别的意思 |
[38:44] | The new lord is so very generous with his gifts. | 新来的阁下出手阔绰 |
[38:46] | It’s hard to keep up with them. | 根本意识不过来 |
[38:48] | Hmm. Yes. Oh. | 是啊 |
[38:49] | This way, my dear. | 亲爱的 这边来 |
[39:04] | I saw that Gérard painting. | 我看过杰拉德那幅画 |
[39:06] | – It was a marvel. – A vision, in fact. | -简直叹为观止 -远见卓识 |
[39:08] | So you are telling me that he, Leighton, and Turner | 也就是说 他、雷顿和特纳 |
[39:10] | all studied in the same academy? | 都是同一个学院出来的? |
[39:12] | Indeed. And they have a vacancy, from what I hear. | 正是 我听说那里还空着个学位 |
[39:15] | If you are serious about painting, I hear it is the place to be. | 如果你真想学画 据说就该去那里 |
[39:20] | Brother. I need you. | 弟弟 半个忙 |
[39:23] | – I’m in the midst of a conversation. – Outside, straight away. | -我正和别人聊天呢 -出来 马上 |
[39:27] | Excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[39:33] | I need you to teach me how to read that out loud. | 教教我这东西要怎么念 |
[39:36] | Byron? | 拜伦? |
[39:38] | Did I strike you much harder than I realized earlier? | 难不成之前练剑我把你打坏了? |
[39:40] | “There is a pleasure in the pathless woods.” | “无径之林 |
[39:43] | Oh… | 常有愉趣” |
[39:44] | “There is a rapture on the lon… “ How does one make that sound good? | “孤寂海滩常有狂…” 这种东西怎么念才会好听? |
[39:48] | I’m afraid that is not possible. That poem is the opposite of good. | 我爱莫能助 这首诗实在不怎么样 |
[39:51] | That’s nonsense. | 都是无稽之谈 |
[39:52] | I thought this sort of thing was supposed to be your pleasure. | 我还以为你好这一口呢 |
[39:55] | Poetry, yes. Byron, heavens, no. | 诗歌?的确 拜伦?饶了我吧 |
[39:58] | Is not everyone supposed to love Byron? | 不是世人都喜欢拜伦吗? |
[39:59] | Many in our year at Cambridge thought my poetry far superior to his. | 在剑桥的时侯 很多人觉得 我的诗写得比他好 |
[40:03] | Does that mean yours is more or less deceitful? | 这么说你的诗也多少能唬人? |
[40:05] | – Deceitful? – Mmm. | 唬人? |
[40:06] | Poetry is the opposite, Brother. | 兄长 诗歌恰恰相反 |
[40:10] | It is the art of revealing precious truth with words. | 它是揭示可贵真理的语言艺术 |
[40:15] | Quite right, Brother. You… You’re being serious? | 好吧 |
[40:18] | Mm-hmm. | 你说正经的? |
[40:19] | Good God. Good night. | 老天爷 晚安吧 |
[40:21] | What is it, truly, to admire a woman? | 究竟何谓欣赏女子? |
[40:26] | To look at her and feel inspiration. | 是目有伊人 灵光涌现 |
[40:30] | To delight in her beauty. | 是因其丽质而愉悦于心 |
[40:32] | So much so that all your defenses crumble, | 以致不能自已而心防全溃 |
[40:36] | that you would willingly take on | 心甘情愿 |
[40:38] | any pain, any burden for her. | 为其受苦 担其重担 |
[40:43] | To honor her being… | 幸其所生 |
[40:45] | …with your deeds and words. | 而以言行践之 |
[40:50] | That is what the true poet describes. | 真正的诗歌讲的是这些 |
[40:54] | You should apply yourself more often, Benedict. | 你应该多写写 |
[40:59] | Write that down. | 把刚才这首写下来 |
[41:02] | “And on that cheek, and o-er that brow,” | “而在那脸颊上 在那眉宇间” |
[41:05] | “So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,” | “如此温柔、沉静 却溢于言表” |
[41:10] | “The smiles that win, the tints that glow,” | “那迷人的笑意 那焕发的红晕” |
[41:14] | “But tell of days in goodness spent,” | “只道出安然去日” |
[41:17] | “A mind at peace with all below,” | “与世无争的安宁之念” |
[41:20] | “A heart whose love is innocent!” | “一颗纯爱之心!” |
[41:27] | Gentlemen, thank you all | 先生们 非常感谢各位 |
[41:30] | for the most splendid display of your talents this evening. | 今晚无比精彩的才艺展示 |
[41:34] | A memorable occasion, to be sure. | 这必定将成为一个难忘之夜 |
[41:37] | Pardon me. Lady Danbury? | 抱歉 丹伯里女士? |
[41:39] | Uh, Lord Bridgerton, I did not expect you. | 布里杰顿大人 我以为你不会来的 |
[41:42] | No, I seem to have fallen off the guest list. | 我好像被漏掉了 |
[41:44] | Ah. | |
[41:45] | Though you’d never deny a young man you’ve known | 毕竟是29年的旧相识 您想必不会拒绝 |
[41:47] | for 29 years the pleasure of your company? | 后生老友来府上一聚吧? |
[41:49] | And neither would your footman at the front door. | 而贵府前门的男仆想必也是如此 |
[41:51] | Apologies, viscount. You appear to be late again. | 抱歉 子爵 你又晚来一步 |
[41:54] | We were bringing the evening to a conclusion… | 我们差不多要结束了 |
[41:56] | Surely Miss Edwina has time for one more. | 埃德温娜小姐何不多听一首? |
[41:58] | I spent all evening crafting something. An original. | 我整晚苦思 自作小诗一首 |
[42:01] | Would you like to hear it? | 你想听吗? |
[42:05] | Would everyone like to hear it? | 大家想听吗? |
[42:06] | – Yes. Most definitely. – Viscount. | 想 当然想 |
[42:08] | – Go on, then. – Of course, Lord Bridgerton. | -子爵 -请吧 就是 |
[42:21] | “What is it…” | “究竟… |
[42:24] | “…truly to admire a woman?” | 何谓欣赏女子?” |
[42:27] | “To look at her and feel inspiration.” | “是目有伊人 灵光涌现” |
[42:31] | “To delight in her beauty.” | “是因其丽质而愉悦于心” |
[42:33] | “So much that all your defenses crumble, | “以致不能自已而心防全溃 |
[42:37] | that you would willingly take on any pain, any burden for her.” | 心甘情愿为其受苦 担其重担” |
[42:41] | “To honor…” | “幸其…” |
[42:45] | “To hon…” | “幸其…” |
[42:58] | My apologies. I cannot do this. | 抱歉 我演不下去了 |
[43:04] | I cannot claim these words as my own. They are someone else’s entirely. | 这首诗非我所作 我无法冒用 这完全是他人手笔 |
[43:10] | Truth be told, I’m not… | 实不相瞒 我… |
[43:13] | I’m not a man of poetry. | 我不喜诗歌 |
[43:17] | Words of flattery are beautiful and sweet, | 都是些甜言蜜语、奉承之词 |
[43:20] | but they are also hollow | 而且空洞无物 |
[43:23] | unless accompanied by action. | 除非伴以行动 |
[43:27] | Miss Edwina, I could stand here and pretend to be someone I am not. | 埃德温娜小姐 我大可站在这里虚情假扮 |
[43:30] | I could pretend to want the very same things as you, but I’d be lying. | 假装你我意趣相投 但那只会是谎言 |
[43:34] | I may not be able to… | 我或许不能… |
[43:38] | offer the display of passion | 展现出 |
[43:41] | that you truly deserve. | 你理应收获的热忱 |
[43:45] | But I assure you that when it comes to action and duty… | 但我向你保证 说到行动与担当… |
[43:49] | I shall never be found lacking. | 我绝不会退缩半步 |
[43:52] | And I hope that | 而我希望 这一点 |
[43:54] | is what will speak louder than any pretty words ever can. | 足以胜过万千溢美之词 |
[44:12] | Did you hear that, Bon? He cannot give you the love you deserve. | 小妹 你听到了吗? 他给不了你要的真爱 |
[44:15] | Does that make him a bad man or an honest one? | 如此看来他是拙劣还是诚实? |
[44:19] | It is the mark of a true gentleman, | 正如阿爸所说 |
[44:21] | just as Appa used to say. | 这才是真正的君子 |
[44:24] | Yes? | 不是吗? |
[44:53] | Delicious. | 美味 |
[45:13] | You should return to the party. | 你应该尽快重返聚会 |
[45:15] | I shall be there in a moment. | 我马上就来 |
[45:17] | Well, the viscount certainly seems to have nettled you. | 看来子爵是把你惹恼了 |
[45:21] | He can be exasperating. | 有时他是挺气人的 |
[45:23] | He is incorrigible. He is not for my sister. | 他简直无可救药 他跟我妹妹不合适 |
[45:25] | I shall make sure she sees of it too, one way or another. | 无论如何 我一定要让她看清楚 |
[45:29] | Some advice, Miss Sharma? | 莎尔玛小姐 听几句逆耳忠告如何? |
[45:32] | When one is frustrated, | 失意之时 |
[45:34] | it is often much wiser to focus upon satisfying one’s own needs. | 照顾好自己的需求才是明智之举 |
[45:39] | Attempting to influence others as to the correct course of action, well, | 如果试图通过影响他人 以矫正事态 |
[45:43] | it is often a trying and irritating endeavor | 则往往吃力而不讨好 |
[45:47] | that only brings out the worst in us | 这么做使人恶相毕露 |
[45:48] | before we discover it has been fruitless all along. | 到头来却发现 一切只是徒劳 |
[45:52] | I am aware I’ve made a fool of myself tonight, Lady Danbury. | 我知道今晚自己出了丑 |
[45:55] | I do not need to hear it from you. | 不用您说我也知道 |
[45:57] | In fact, I do not need to hear it from anyone. | 不用任何人说我也知道 |
[46:00] | I do not care what a single person here thinks of me. | 这里的人怎么看我 我根本不在乎 |
[46:04] | Once Edwina is married, I shall return home alone, | 埃德温娜一完婚 我就只身返回故乡 |
[46:07] | only too glad to never set foot in this city again. | 乐得此生再不踏入伦敦一步 |
[46:12] | You may not yet know, and that is all well and good. | 你可能还不懂 这倒也没关系 |
[46:14] | But I, for one, find it not only terribly disheartening | 你才26岁 却口口声声说 宁愿孤身一人 |
[46:18] | but also an offense against truth, | 不说别人 我自己听了 |
[46:20] | to hear you say you wish to be alone | 不光觉得无比痛心 |
[46:23] | at a mere six and twenty? | 而且觉得这简直有悖天理 |
[46:26] | Perhaps you should not. I will be a governess. | 或许您大可不必 我会做一名家庭教师 |
[46:28] | I will be content knowing my sister is taken care of. | 只要妹妹有人照料 我就心满意足了 |
[46:31] | Content? | 心满意足? |
[46:33] | Are you so miserable, my lady? | 女士 您自觉凄凉吗? |
[46:34] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[46:36] | Are you not alone yourself? | 您不是也孤身一人吗? |
[46:38] | I watch you. I see you. You are more than content. | 我注视您、观察您 您自得其乐 |
[46:41] | Because I have lived a life. | 那是因为我已经体验了人生 |
[46:46] | I am a widow. | 我现在是寡妇 |
[46:48] | I have loved. I have lost. | 但我爱过、失去过 |
[46:51] | I have earned the right | 我有资格、有权利 |
[46:53] | to do whatever I please, whenever I please, | 随心所欲 无论何时 |
[46:56] | and however I please to do it. | 无论怎样 |
[46:58] | Child, | 孩子 |
[47:00] | you are not me. | 你不是我 |
[47:03] | And if you continue down this road, | 如果你继续固执己见 |
[47:06] | you most certainly never will be. | 你永远也成不了我 |
[47:11] | There are two things that lurk | 这座城市的阴暗之处 |
[47:13] | within the dark and shadowy places of our fair city. | 潜藏着两样东西 |
[47:16] | Vermin and secrets. | 害虫与秘密 |
[47:20] | I shall leave it to you, dear reader, as to which do the most harm. | 亲爱的读者可以自行度断 哪一种危害更甚 |
[47:26] | One has to wonder what secrets the season’s diamond | 人们一定十分好奇 本季钻石淑女的心中 |
[47:30] | is holding near and dear to her heart. | 藏着怎样的秘密 |
[47:33] | And who shall she choose to share them with? | 而她又会与谁分享这些秘密呢? |
[47:36] | The Viscount Bridgerton, perhaps? | 也许是布里杰顿子爵? |
[47:39] | At least the elder Sharma’s opinion | 至少莎尔玛大小姐对于此事的态度 |
[47:42] | on such a matter is certainly no secret at all. | 已经人尽皆知了 (维斯道恩女士的社交八卦小报) |
[47:53] | If you are truly that vexed by the manner in which Lady Whistledown writes still, | 如果你还在介怀维斯道恩女士的文风 |
[47:57] | perhaps you might stop reading? | 也许还是不看为好? |
[47:59] | – She’s finally revealed herself. – What? El… | -她终于露出马脚了 -什么?小埃… |
[48:01] | I was not going to tell you this because… | 我本来不想告诉你的 |
[48:03] | Well, I was embarrassed, and I thought I was wrong, but, | 因为难为情 而且我以为我搞错了 但是 |
[48:07] | I paid this printer’s shop a visit yesterday. | 昨天我去了这家印刷店 |
[48:09] | You did? | 你去了? |
[48:11] | Did you speak with anyone? | 你跟谁搭话了吗? |
[48:14] | It does not matter. Pen, look. | 这些都不重要 小佩 你看 |
[48:16] | Not only are these paper stocks identical, | 不光是纸料相同 |
[48:19] | but the letter K’s, they are slightly misshapen in the exact same way. | 连“K”字母都一样 都略有变形 而且是同样的地方 |
[48:22] | Surely it is not likely to be another coincidence. | 这不可能又是巧合 |
[48:26] | Well, we must keep an eye out. | 那我们必须留心点 |
[48:28] | If the same mistake is in Whistledown’s next issue, | 如果下期出现同样的纰漏 |
[48:30] | then we will know the print shop is indeed hers. | 便能确定 她就是在那间铺子 印刷小报 |
[48:50] | A new letter “K” for a Stanhope press. | 斯坦霍普的印刷社要一个新的“K”字 |
[48:52] | – That will be ten pence. – I’ll give you five. | -十个便士 -我出五个 |
[48:56] | Five’s a special rate for repeat customers. | 老顾客才能拿到这个价钱 |
[48:59] | Trust me, friend, I’d exasperate you coming back any more than once. | 相信我 老兄 我要是再来 会把你烦死 |
[49:02] | Now give me the discount to keep me away, and we’ll both be happier. | 赶紧给个便宜价 我不来烦你 双方都满意 |
[49:13] | Miss Penelope? | 佩内洛普小姐? |
[49:16] | To be fair, one might call this author | 平心而论 笔者很可能 |
[49:19] | the biggest secret-sharer of all. | 才是最爱分享秘密的人 |
[49:22] | For who else could possibly keep all of you honest? | 不然还有谁能让诸位 以真面目示人呢? |
[49:27] | Here you are, Your Majesty. | 都在这儿了 陛下 |
[49:29] | And you are certain | 你确定 |
[49:31] | these are the young ladies our diamond has been conversing with of late? | 最近跟钻石淑女搭话的 就是这些小姐? |
[49:34] | Yes, Your Majesty. | 是的 陛下 |
[49:35] | If our theory is correct, | 如果我们推断无误 |
[49:37] | then Lady Whistledown will indeed be in this very collection. | 那么维斯道恩女士一定 就藏在这些小姐当中 |
[49:42] | When even the most well-kept of secrets | 即便是保守得最严的秘密 |
[49:45] | must eventually come to light. | 终究还是要见光的 (佩内洛普费瑟灵顿小姐) |