时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:39] | Whoa. Whoa. | |
[00:45] | I just think it’s important… No, no, no. | 我只是觉得最要紧… |
[00:48] | Gregory, you… | 格里高利 |
[00:50] | Shh! Let her come out on her own. | 你… 还是等她自己出来吧 |
[00:53] | – Is this the plan? – Thank goodness you’re here. | -这就是所谓计划? -谢天谢地 你可来了 |
[00:55] | – She’s requested time. – We do not have time. Stand back. | -她要我们给她时间 -可我们没那么多时间 退后 |
[00:58] | No offense, Sister, but you are the last person she’d like to see. | 别见怪 但她这会儿最不想见的 恐怕就是你 |
[01:01] | – What does that mean? – Are we sure she’s in there? | -这话什么意思? -她果真在里面吗? |
[01:03] | – Of course she is. – Where else would she be? | -当然在 -不然还能在哪儿? |
[01:05] | – Climbed through the window, the chimney… – Quiet! She may hear you. | -爬窗户 钻烟囱… -安静!她会听见的 |
[01:07] | I left my husband and child at home for this. | 你们知道我是扔下丈夫和孩子来的吧 |
[01:10] | I told everyone this would happen, now we’re late for the queen. | 我跟所有人都说了 如今觐见王后居然要迟到 |
[01:12] | I hear something. | 有动静 |
[01:16] | Anthony. | 安东尼 |
[01:32] | If one of you utters a single word… | 我看你们谁敢出声… |
[01:37] | Let us get this over with. | 赶紧做完了事 |
[01:45] | I yearn for someone fresh, someone unexpected, | 我盼着这个社交季能来个清新的人儿 让人出乎预料 |
[01:49] | to turn this season on its head. | 扭转一下当前的氛围 |
[01:51] | That is what we need. There is no room for indifference. | 这才是我们需要的 漠不关心可要不得 |
[01:55] | Apathy is a blight the monarchy simply cannot endure. | 皇室不能容忍冷眼旁观 |
[01:57] | Of course, Your Majesty. But remember, | 那是自然 陛下 但您也要记得 |
[01:59] | a young lady cannot be a diamond | 淑女若想成为钻石 |
[02:02] | until you anoint her as such. | 还要仰仗您的加封 |
[02:04] | So if for any reason you do not find one among the candidates today… | 如果今天的候选人中没有理想的… |
[02:08] | Do you think she will return? | 你觉得她会回归吗? |
[02:10] | We have heard nary a peep from Lady Whistledown | 上季过后 维斯道恩女士 |
[02:13] | since last season ended. | 一点音信都没有 |
[02:15] | Perhaps the writer came to her senses. | 也许这位作家终于醒悟 |
[02:18] | Perhaps she realized taking on her queen was a bad idea, | 知道跟王后作对不会有好结果 |
[02:21] | and she will never publish again. | 从此停止刊载 |
[02:23] | It is a convincing theory, ma’am. | 的确有这种可能 夫人 |
[02:25] | Or | 或者 |
[02:27] | she simply left for the country, as the rest of us did in the off-season, | 她跟我们一样 社交季一过就去了乡下 |
[02:31] | bored by the lack of any real gossip. | 少了有料的八卦新闻 |
[02:33] | Hmm. | 成日百无聊赖 |
[02:37] | You do know what that would make her, then? | 知道这意味着什么吗? |
[02:42] | One of us. | 她跟我们是一路人 |
[02:43] | Hmm. | |
[02:46] | Could we not have appealed to the queen, Mama? | 妈妈 我们就不能向王后求情吗? |
[02:49] | After having mourned dear Papa for so very long, | 为爸爸守丧这么久 |
[02:51] | perhaps Her Majesty might extend a kindness | 也许王后陛下会大发善心 |
[02:53] | and allow us to be presented again. | 让我们再度觐见 |
[02:55] | I see no need to go through all of that again | 我倒觉得没必要费那么大周章 |
[02:57] | when I myself am already betrothed to Mr. Finch. | 反正我已经许配给芬奇先生了 |
[02:59] | Mr. Finch may very well still change his mind. | 芬奇先生也可能会反悔 |
[03:01] | Particularly when he notices there is still no dowry. | 更何况人家可能知道 嫁妆还没着落 |
[03:04] | Hush! The new Lord Featherington shall see to that, | 嘘!新来的费瑟灵顿大人会解决的 |
[03:07] | when he finally decides to show his miserly face. | 就看人家什么时候赏光露脸了 |
[03:15] | Just remember to remain composed. | 记住 保持镇定 |
[03:16] | And control your emotions. | 控制情绪 |
[03:19] | Her Majesty does not take kindly to any hint of hysterics. | 王后陛下不喜欢别人一惊一乍 |
[03:23] | I found a small smile worked best to appear open and approachable, | 最好保持浅浅的微笑 显得大方亲切 |
[03:27] | but not too eager. | 又不失矜持 |
[03:29] | Now, let us see it. | 来 做一个看看 |
[03:32] | No. | 不要 |
[03:33] | She’s practically melting. | 她都吓瘫了 |
[03:34] | – Here. Allow me. – And your curtsy, dearest. | -好了 给我吧 -还有你的屈膝礼 亲爱的 |
[03:37] | Tell your sister how you managed such balance. | 给你妹妹说说 怎样保持平衡 |
[03:39] | Simply locate a stationary object and keep your eyes set. | 找一处静物 紧盯住它 |
[03:43] | I used a painting nearby. We practiced it. | 我会找附近的一幅画 |
[03:45] | Several times. | 我们练习过的 很多次了 |
[03:49] | – You have natural gifts… – Do not patronize me. | -你天生… |
[03:52] | – And give me that! – Oh! | -少来 把扇子给我! |
[03:55] | My task this season cannot be exceptionally difficult. | 这个社交季我的任务也不是很艰巨 |
[03:58] | Hastings did it after all. How hard can it be? | 海斯汀斯都办到了 这事能难到哪里去? |
[04:00] | – Ah. Spoken with such feeling too. – I do not need feeling. | -多么饱腹深情 -我不需要感情 |
[04:03] | What I need is what I have, and that is a list. | 我需要的是手头现有的 需要的是一张清单 |
[04:06] | Tolerable, dutiful, suitable enough hips for childbearing, | 只要过得去、够本分、生得了孩子 |
[04:09] | and at least half a brain. | 多少有点常识 |
[04:11] | And that last part is not so much a requirement but a preference, in fact. | 最后一条不算要求 算偏好 |
[04:16] | Miss Cordelia Patridge. | 考迪利亚帕特里奇小姐 |
[04:20] | The Lady Abigail Evans. | 艾比盖尔埃文斯夫人 |
[04:23] | Miss Mary Ann Hallewell. | 玛丽安哈利威尔小姐 |
[04:26] | Miss Margaret Goring. | 玛格丽特戈灵小姐 |
[04:33] | It is not too late. | 现在退出还不晚 |
[04:35] | You could say I collapsed. | 就说我昏倒了嘛 |
[04:36] | That I got something unmentionable on my gown. | 就说我裙子上沾了什么 让人难以启齿的东西 |
[04:39] | All the feathers affected my senses. | 或者我被羽毛弄得神志不清 |
[04:40] | Anything, Mama, to get me out of doing this. | 妈妈 说什么都行 只要别让我干这个 |
[04:43] | My darling girl. | 亲爱的女儿 |
[04:44] | No matter what, you will always be a diamond to me. | 无论结果如何 你永远是我心中的钻石 |
[04:49] | If Penelope were here… | 要是佩内洛普在该多好… |
[04:52] | Penelope? How many times must I warn you to be wary of that window? | 佩内洛普?我说过多少遍了? 别老站在窗户跟前 |
[04:56] | Do you wish to appear like a befreckled beggar | 莫非你成天晒太阳 |
[04:58] | spending all day in the sun? | 晒成麻脸叫花子吗? |
[05:00] | Of course not, Mama. | 当然不是 妈妈 |
[05:02] | My apologies. | 抱歉 |
[05:08] | The Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton | 遗孀布里杰顿子爵夫人 |
[05:12] | and Miss Eloise Bridgerton. | 及埃洛伊斯布里杰顿小姐 |
[05:23] | It is here. | 来了 |
[05:29] | Smile. | 微笑 |
[05:40] | What is the meaning of this? | 何事惊扰? (维斯道恩女士的社交八卦小报) |
[05:49] | I’ve seen enough. | 我已经看够了 |
[05:50] | – But Your Majesty, there are still… – I have seen enough! | -可是 陛下 还有… -我已经看够了! |
[05:55] | Does this mean I can go? | 意思是我可以走了? |
[05:56] | I don’t know what this means. | 我不知道这是何意味 |
[06:00] | Eloise. | 埃洛伊斯! |
[06:17] | Truly, I cannot say I will long for any of this. | 说真的 我可不想遭这种罪 |
[06:21] | Best of luck to you, Brother. | 祝你好运 哥哥 |
[06:23] | You shall certainly need it this season. | 这个社交季 你绝对需要点运气 |
[06:29] | Dearest gentle reader. | 亲爱的读者 |
[06:33] | Did you miss me? | 想我了吗? |
[07:42] | As the members of our esteemed ton lazily sojourned | 各位尊敬的上流贵族 |
[07:46] | in their rustic retreats, | 还在慵懒地享受乡间小憩 |
[07:48] | this author was doing but one thing. | 笔者只专注于一件事情 |
[07:52] | I knew she would return! | 我就知道 她会回来的! |
[07:54] | Honing my skills. | 打磨技艺 |
[07:56] | Increased her price too, I see. | 看来身价也涨了 |
[07:57] | Or should I say, hatching my plans? | 或许应该说 酝酿计划? |
[08:01] | Is she truly that good a writer? | 她果真写得那么好吗? |
[08:05] | No, even better. | 不 更确切地说 |
[08:08] | I was sharpening my knives… | 我是为了各位读者 |
[08:12] | – “For all of you.” – …for all of you. | |
[08:16] | How do you think she does it? | 你说她是怎么做到的? |
[08:18] | Certainly not by herself. How could she? | 单凭她自己肯定不行 |
[08:21] | Oh. | 怎么可能? 在磨刀砺剑 |
[08:41] | Eighteen? We agreed on 20. | 18镑?说好了20磅 |
[08:43] | My mistress changed her mind. | 我家女主人改主意了 |
[08:46] | You’re new to this arrangement, so I’ll say this only once. | 你是新来的 我就好心告诉你 但我只说一次 |
[08:50] | What my mistress wants, she gets. | 我家女主人说怎样 那就是怎样 |
[08:53] | For whatever reason, that would be you at the moment. | 不管怎样 暂时是你来负责了 |
[08:56] | That doesn’t make you special, Mr. Harris. | 但这并不代表你有多了不起 哈里斯先生 |
[08:58] | Printers in this town are ten-a-penny. | 城里的印刷商一抓一大把 |
[09:00] | But there’s only one Lady Whistledown, | 维斯道恩女士可只有一个 |
[09:02] | and she could just as easily take her business elsewhere. | 找别家对她来说一点也不难 |
[09:05] | So it’s 18, | 说18就18 |
[09:06] | not a penny more. | 一分也不多 |
[09:08] | And the delivery boys need a wage increase. | 还有 给报童涨工钱 |
[09:11] | They’re running around town while you get to sit on your lazy arse. | 他们辛辛苦苦在城里四处跑 你倒乐得清闲 |
[09:14] | Yes, ma’am. | 好吧 女士 |
[09:16] | Then my mistress thanks you for your services. | 既然如此 我代女主人向你致谢 |
[09:19] | Questions abound as to this author’s identity and means. | 人们对笔者的身份和手法 存在着诸多疑问 |
[09:24] | Seeking those answers shall prove fruitless, indeed. | 而如要寻找答案 则只是白费功夫 |
[09:31] | I am off to the market with my maid, Mama. | 妈妈 我跟仆人去趟市场 |
[09:33] | I have just a tiny bit of pin money left, and I… | 我还有点零用钱 想… |
[09:36] | There is, of course, another unknown identity at present. | 当然 目前还有另一个未知的人物 |
[09:41] | Though, this one you will be able to unearth. | 揭晓此人的身份则并不费力 |
[09:44] | I speak of the season’s diamond, wherever she may be. | 我说的就是本社交季的钻石淑女 也不知她现在何方 |
[09:48] | Your move, Your Majesty. | 下一步就看您了 陛下 |
[10:05] | One and two. One and two. | 一大二 |
[10:09] | I do not think she’s very good. | 她跳得不怎么样 |
[10:11] | – I believe she can hear you. – I can hear you. | -她能听见你说话 -我听见了 |
[10:14] | – Ow! Watch my feet! – Might we be done? | -当心我的脚! -先这样吧? |
[10:16] | If you are to catch the queen’s eye after that interruption, you must be perfection. | 经历了今早的意外中断 下次再见到王后 你必须完美表现 |
[10:21] | I believe it was the interruption that was perfection. | 那个意外来得才叫完美 |
[10:23] | Shocking that Eloise Bridgerton was not named the season diamond, was it not? | 埃洛伊斯布里杰顿居然没当选 本季钻石淑女 怎么可能? |
[10:27] | Was anyone else aware that dear Colin has decided to add Albania | 你们知不知道 科林云游四方 |
[10:29] | or some such place to his itinerary as he gads about the world? | 居然还要去阿尔巴尼亚? |
[10:32] | No. But how happy for him that he can simply decide to do that. | 不清楚 但至少他可以选择 多好啊 |
[10:35] | Joining us for tea, Anthony? | 安东尼 留下来喝杯茶? |
[10:36] | Uh, I’m afraid I must pass. Too many calls on my funds today. | 今天得失陪了 很多款项需要处理 |
[10:41] | Now that the season has started, | 社交季已经开始 |
[10:42] | I need to fill your coffers at the modiste and oversee the hiring of extra staff. | 得去女装店给你们交钱 监督雇佣额外人手 |
[10:46] | Your ring. When you get the chance, I need it. | 另外 有空请您把戒指准备好 我用得着 |
[10:48] | The fields by Ferryhallow. I was thinking we might hold off | 菲力哈洛附近的土地霜冻严重 |
[10:51] | on leasing them due to the hard frost. | 我想迟点再出租 |
[10:53] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[10:54] | The frost hardens the soil, saps it of nutrients. | 霜冻把土地冻硬 削弱了土地的养分 |
[10:56] | That is very well. But you requested my ring? | 那个我没意见 你跟我要戒指? |
[10:59] | Father’s betrothal ring. | 父亲的订婚戒指 |
[11:00] | Did someone catch your eye at the presentation, Brother? | 哥哥 难不成观礼时有你看上的? |
[11:04] | I thought all the young ladies looked beautiful. | 我觉得那些淑女都十分清秀 |
[11:05] | Not particularly. And all the young ladies looked the same. Like ladies. | 没什么特别 都打扮得差不多 |
[11:08] | I’d simply like to be prepared for when the opportunity presents itself. | 我只是想做好准备 以待良机 |
[11:11] | The opportunity? | 良机? |
[11:12] | I’ve compiled an index of the season’s eligible misses and arranged interviews. | 我搜集了本季适合结婚的候选人 并且安排了面谈 |
[11:16] | Interviews! | 面谈! |
[11:19] | Dearest, I shall be more than happy to give you my ring when you find someone | 亲爱的 如果你寻得挚爱 我会非常乐意 |
[11:23] | with whom you are very much in love. | 把我的戒指交给你 |
[11:25] | Besides, it is in safekeeping at Aubrey Hall. | 况且 戒指现在还放在奥布里府 |
[11:27] | – Very well. – See that he is quite well. | -好吧 -你看着他点儿 |
[11:30] | Me? | 我吗? |
[11:31] | I’m not in need of coddling. | 我没那么娇惯 |
[11:33] | I assure you all, everything is in order. | 你们放心好了 一切尽在掌控中 |
[11:49] | Are you looking forward to being a mother? | 你期待成为母亲吗? |
[11:51] | Oh, very much. I am quite close with my brothers and sisters. | 非常期待 我跟家中的兄弟姐妹十分要好 |
[11:54] | I love children. | 我喜欢孩子 |
[11:56] | What number do you have in mind? | 打算生几个? |
[11:58] | Of children? | 孩子吗? |
[11:59] | Four. Or five. No. Perhaps six. | 四个 要么五个 也许生六个 |
[12:03] | Three children is what I have always wanted, my lord. | 大人 我一直都希望能有三个孩子 |
[12:06] | If your daughter had a penchant for overspending, | 如果你的女儿喜欢挥霍 |
[12:08] | how would you deal with that? | 你打算如何处理? |
[12:14] | We must secure a new lady’s maid for Eloise, now that she is out. | 现在埃洛伊斯已经进入社交界 必须给她找个新女仆 |
[12:18] | Ensure she is even more strong-willed than the last. | 找一位比之前那个更有主意的 |
[12:21] | What are those? | 这都是什么? |
[12:23] | Uh, accounts requiring your signature, my lord. | 需要您处理的账单 大人 |
[12:27] | The harp is a wonderful instrument, my lord, | 大人 竖琴是一种美妙的乐器 |
[12:29] | teaching one patience, strength, | 可以磨练耐性、毅力 |
[12:32] | and an appreciation for beauty, of course. | 当然 也教人懂得欣赏美 |
[12:37] | But do you read? | 你平时阅读吗? |
[12:38] | Books? | 读书? (戈灵小姐) |
[12:59] | I am fluent in French, Italian, Latin. | 我会讲流利的法语、意大利语、 拉丁语 |
[13:03] | And your Greek? | 那希腊语呢? |
[13:08] | Apologies, my lord. I much prefer a quadrille. | 抱歉 大人 我更喜欢跳方舞 |
[13:12] | I ride. I paint. | 我会骑马、绘画 |
[13:14] | I sing. I dance. | 会唱歌 会跳舞 |
[13:16] | I can divide and multiply. | 会做乘除 |
[13:18] | I even construct my own hats. | 还会给自己做帽子 (哈利威尔小姐 伊顿小姐) (克里夫顿小姐 本尼迪克特说她舞技差) (申报税额) |
[13:43] | Five and twenty more, my lord. | 大人 还有25份 |
[14:15] | Whoa, there! | 站住! |
[14:16] | Miss, are you in trouble? | 小姐 |
[14:18] | Come on. | 你遇上麻烦了吗? 快走 |
[14:41] | Come on. | 快走 |
[14:57] | Careful, now! | 当心前面! |
[15:00] | Whoa, there! | 站住! |
[15:28] | Enjoying your victory lap? | 绕场庆祝开心吗? |
[15:31] | You’ll not be afforded such an ample head-start this time. | 这次再比 你可就没这么大优势了 |
[15:34] | Apologies, sir. | 抱歉 先生 |
[15:36] | I did not mean to cause anyone concern. | 我无意让你费心 |
[15:39] | Does your maid know you are riding astride? | 你的女仆知道你跨骑吗? |
[15:41] | I have no maid. | 我没有女仆 |
[15:42] | Then you’re married. | 那就是已婚咯 |
[15:46] | Forgive me. | 请原谅 |
[15:48] | Then you are lost. | 那你就是迷路了 |
[15:49] | I am not lost either. I’m on my way back to Mayfair. | 我没有迷路 现在正打算回梅菲尔 |
[15:51] | – It is just ahead. – Mayfair? | -就在前面 -梅菲尔? |
[15:54] | Well, then… | 那… |
[15:55] | I appreciate your attention, sir, but I assure you I am perfectly safe. | 多谢关心 先生 但请放心 我非常安全 |
[15:58] | Perhaps we pretend this encounter never took place? | 不如你我就当没遇见? |
[16:00] | You allow me to go my way, and you go yours. | 你走你的 我走我的 |
[16:04] | You worry about being seen. | 你怕被人看见 |
[16:05] | I worry about meeting strange men in parks at dawn | 我怕黎明在公园遇上 |
[16:08] | who fail to leave me alone with their questions. | 陌生人死缠烂打 问个没完 |
[16:10] | Your secret is safe. I shall not tell a soul. | 我会为你保密 绝不透露 |
[16:12] | How grateful I am. | 感激不尽 |
[16:13] | Losing races to strange women in such parks at dawn. | 黎明之时在这种园子里 赛马输给一个陌生女子 |
[16:18] | I can only imagine the questions I would be asked. | 别人会如何好奇可想而知 |
[16:22] | Is that what that was? | 你说刚才吗? |
[16:24] | – A race? – Was it not? | -那叫赛马? -难道不是吗? |
[16:26] | Does one not need actual competition for a race? | 要赛也要有旗鼓相当的对手 不是吗? |
[16:29] | If we had decided on a finish line together, | 如果双方约定好终点线 当然是 |
[16:31] | but alas, we made no such agreement. | 只可惜你我没有如此约定 |
[16:33] | I see you are not one for losing. | 看来你还非赢不可 |
[16:35] | I shall have you… | 你要… |
[16:39] | In the rare instances it occurs, | 少数情况下 |
[16:42] | I’d admit that I have either lost or am in the wrong. | 我也会痛快认输、认错 |
[16:44] | But I’m afraid the same cannot be said for you. | 而你貌似并非如此 |
[16:46] | – I beg your pardon? – Mayfair is not right ahead. | -你说什么? -梅菲尔并不在前面 |
[16:48] | It’s the other way entirely. | 而是在相反方向 |
[16:51] | Not lost, you said? | 这叫没迷路? |
[16:57] | Good day, sir. | 日安 先生 |
[16:58] | Let’s go. | 走啦 |
[17:01] | We have not yet been introduced. | 我们还没认识一下呢 |
[17:03] | I am afraid that is not possible. Not when I have a victory lap to enjoy. | 我还要绕场庆祝 怕是没那个机会了 |
[17:19] | Well, what do you mean she was not in her room? | 什么叫她没在房里? |
[17:22] | I went to find her after awakening, but she was not there. | 我醒了去找她 但她不在 |
[17:28] | Lady Mary. | 玛丽夫人 |
[17:31] | Lady Danbury. | 丹伯里女士 |
[17:33] | Oh, how delightful it is to see you. | 见到你真高兴 |
[17:35] | And you. | 彼此彼此 |
[17:37] | After all these years. | 多年没见 |
[17:41] | You look well. | 你气色不错 |
[17:43] | Allow me to introduce to you my youngest, | 请允许我为你介绍我的小女儿 |
[17:46] | – Miss Edwina Sharma. – Ah. | 埃德温娜莎尔玛小姐 |
[17:48] | A true pleasure, Lady Danbury. | 幸会 丹伯里女士 |
[17:50] | I am so grateful for your hospitality. | 非常感谢您殷勤款待 |
[17:53] | Your home, it is magnificent. | 府上着实华贵 |
[17:56] | Consider it yours for the season. | 本个社交季 这里也是你的家 |
[17:58] | Though, I was expecting another? | 不过 另一位千金呢? |
[18:01] | Yes. My eldest. | 是的 我的大女儿 |
[18:03] | Kate. | 凯特 |
[18:04] | Kate. Yes. | 对了 凯特 |
[18:07] | Well, she did get off the ship with you last night, did she not? | 你们昨晚一起下船 没错吧? |
[18:11] | – Apologies. – Kate! | -抱歉 -凯特! |
[18:12] | – There you are, dearest. – I hope I did not keep you waiting long. | -你总算来了 亲爱的 -但愿没让各位久等 |
[18:15] | The gardens here are so lovely. | 这里的园子真是惬意 |
[18:18] | After such a lengthy journey, | 长途旅行过后 |
[18:20] | I found that I wanted some freshness and morning air. | 我很想醒醒神 |
[18:23] | But, uh… I am here now. | 呼吸晨早的空气 现在回来了 |
[18:25] | My eldest, Lady Danbury. Miss Kate Sharma. | 丹伯里女士 |
[18:28] | Hmm. | 这是我的大女儿凯特莎尔玛小姐 |
[18:30] | Well, now that we are all arrived… | 那么 既然大家都到齐了… |
[18:32] | Almost. | 差不多 |
[18:33] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[18:34] | We have almost all arrived. There is also Newton. | 差不多都到齐了 还差牛顿 |
[18:37] | Is he still upstairs? | 他还在楼上吗? |
[18:45] | Mama tells us you host the first ball of every season, Lady Danbury. | 听妈妈说 每个社交季的首场舞会 都是由丹伯里女士您来举办 |
[18:49] | Yes. I have appropriated a conservatory | 是的 我已为今年的庆典 |
[18:52] | for this year’s festivities. | 准备了一间温室 |
[18:54] | Did you hear that, Edwina? | 听到了吗 埃德温娜? |
[18:56] | Well, that sounds delightful. | 一定十分赏心悦目 |
[18:58] | It will make for a most spectacular entrance to society, indeed. | 如此踏入社交圈 一定会惊艳四座 |
[19:02] | I cannot tell you how eager the young ladies are | 这两位小姐对于即将到来的社交季 |
[19:05] | for the upcoming season. | 都是无比期待 |
[19:06] | As am I. | 我自己亦是如此 |
[19:07] | I would’ve ensured their presentation to Her Majesty the Queen, | 我可以确保她们觐见王后陛下时 万无一失 |
[19:11] | but I thought it wise for me to examine their deportment | 不过 在她们初次见面之前 我还是先看看她们的仪态 |
[19:14] | prior to their first engagement. | 我想这样比较明智 |
[19:16] | Her Majesty is most discerning, you understand. | 如你所知 王后陛下独具慧眼 |
[19:20] | So Her Majesty will be in attendance, then, at the ball? | 也就是说 王后陛下将出席舞会? |
[19:24] | Well, there is no reason for concern, Lady Mary. | 玛丽夫人 你大可不必担心 |
[19:26] | You will be with me, after all. | 毕竟有我在呢 |
[19:30] | Of course. | 当然 |
[19:31] | Now, I have made all the arrangements. | 我已经安排周全 |
[19:33] | The pianoforte is tuned, the instructors hired. | 钢琴已经调好音 老师也请好了 |
[19:36] | Dance lessons begin at noon, | 舞蹈课中午开始 |
[19:37] | followed by a short but comprehensive visit | 之后是简短但全面的法语课 |
[19:40] | from a lovely French tutor I have secured. | 我找了一位很好的法语老师 |
[19:43] | Well, stand up. | 好了 起立 |
[19:45] | Both of you. Could you, uh… | 你们二位 你可否… |
[19:56] | Exceptional posture. | 身姿出众 |
[19:59] | Beautiful smiles. | 微笑甜美 |
[20:00] | Yes, they are, quite. | 是啊 的确 |
[20:02] | The age of the elder miss may raise concern. | 大小姐的年龄也许会造成顾虑 |
[20:05] | Any suitable gentleman will require some persuading, | 无论我们喜欢与否 再合适的绅士人选 |
[20:08] | whether we like it or not, | 总要经过一番劝说 |
[20:10] | as she will already be regarded as an old maid at the mature age of… | 她已经成了人们眼中的老姑娘 毕竟已经… |
[20:15] | Six and twenty, ma’am. | 26岁 夫人 |
[20:16] | But it should truly be of no concern, as I assure you | 但您尽可放心 这真的不是问题 |
[20:19] | I am not here to find a husband for myself, | 我来不是为了替自己寻觅郎君 |
[20:22] | only for my sister, who, indeed, stands quite tall | 而是为了我妹妹 她亭亭玉立 |
[20:24] | and smiles rather exquisitely. | 笑容典雅 |
[20:27] | Even more so when she speaks French, I rather think. | 我觉得她说法语的时候尤显气质 |
[20:36] | She is accomplished in both Latin and Greek, | 她对拉丁语和希腊语都颇有造诣 |
[20:38] | in addition to Marathi and Hindustani, of course. | 马拉地语和印度斯坦语 当然也不在话下 |
[20:41] | She not only plays sitar and maruli, but pianoforte too. | 她不光会弹西塔琴 吹竹笛 还弹得一手好钢琴 |
[20:45] | And as for her dancing, well, | 至于她的舞技嘛 |
[20:47] | it is quite remarkable, if I do say so myself. | 依我看也十分出色 |
[20:49] | And I do say so, | 我之所以这么说 |
[20:51] | considering it was I who taught my sister the cotillion, the quadrille, the waltz. | 主要因为是我教妹妹沙龙舞、 方舞以及华尔兹 |
[20:55] | Self-taught, naturally, but still quite remarkable nonetheless. | 虽是自学成才 |
[20:59] | Hmm! Well… | 但依旧出色 |
[21:00] | Kate feels quite passionately about her sister’s prospects this season. | 凯特为了妹妹本季能找个好归宿 着实花了不少心思 |
[21:04] | I hope you did not go to too much trouble, finding all of those instructors? | 但愿请这些老师来没让您太费心吧? |
[21:07] | Not at all. | 完全不会 |
[21:09] | My mama did not err in her description of you, | 母亲对您的描述恰如其分 |
[21:11] | a woman of such grace and kindness. | 您是一位文雅而善良女性 |
[21:14] | I am sure we have much to learn from you, | 我们一定能从您身上获益良多 |
[21:16] | such as the preparation of this most excellent tea. | 比如 向您学习 如何准备如此美味的茶饮 |
[21:23] | – Kate, dear? – Mm-hmm? | 凯特 |
[21:24] | Might Newton require a walk | 亲爱的? 要不要带牛顿去散散步? |
[21:26] | before he makes his mess all over these fine carpets? | 省得他把如此精美的地毯 弄的一团糟 |
[21:30] | Indeed. Delighted to make your acquaintance, Lady Danbury. | 确实 很高兴与您相识丹伯里女士 |
[21:33] | My sister and I do look forward to your sponsorship this season. | 我和妹妹期待非常期待您本季的支持 |
[21:40] | Daphne provided me a list of recommendations | 达芙妮给了我一堆建议 |
[21:43] | for a successful season. | 助我社交季成功得手 |
[21:45] | Private advice regarding the top ten ways in which to entrap a man. | 捕获男人心的十种秘诀 |
[21:48] | I’m telling you, Pen, | 我跟你说 小佩 |
[21:49] | the season has barely begun and already I feel touched in the head. | 社交季才刚刚开始 我已经感觉精神错乱了 |
[21:54] | Another quill? You do get through them at an extraordinary rate. | 又买羽毛笔?你用得可真够快的 |
[21:57] | I have been busy with my correspondence. | 最近我一直忙着写信 |
[22:01] | – To the new heir? Is he here yet? – No. | -给新的继承人写?他已经来了? |
[22:03] | Oh. | -没有 |
[22:04] | I only mean, Colin has been keeping me informed of his adventures in Greece. | 我是说 科林一直给我讲 他在希腊的冒险经历 |
[22:08] | In fairness, I have stopped reading his letters. He rambles. | 老实说 我已经不读他的信了 总是絮絮叨叨 |
[22:11] | – He’s certainly no Lady Whistledown. – No. | -肯定比不上维斯道恩女士 -就是 |
[22:14] | But, then again, Colin has, in fact, been somewhere, unlike her. | 但科林至少出去见过世面 不像她 |
[22:17] | Well, I thought you revered Whistledown. | 你不是挺敬佩维斯道恩的嘛 |
[22:19] | Did her arrival not save you from your presentation to the queen? | 她的小报一出现 不是拯救了你的觐见礼吗? |
[22:22] | I was delighted by the diversion, to be sure. But, | 我很庆幸有人让王后分神 |
[22:25] | I sat with her paper all morning, | 可我抱着她的小报看了一早上 |
[22:26] | and in truth, all she does is repeat what she hears. | 老实说 她一直在照搬 那些听来的消息 |
[22:29] | Someone must report the gossip. Does she not have a way with words? | 八卦总要有人写 她不是擅长言语吗? |
[22:32] | But what is she saying with those words? | 可这些言语又想表达什么呢? |
[22:34] | Truly, I did not mind Whistledown’s silence the last ten months, | 老实说 维斯道恩沉寂了十个月 这倒也不错 |
[22:37] | as it finally gave me some time to read a few articles of substance. | 我终于有时间 读几篇有实质内容的文章 |
[22:41] | “My own sex, I hope, will excuse me if I treat them like rational creatures, | “如果我把他们当作理性生物 而非一味曲意逢迎 |
[22:45] | instead of flattering their fascinating graces.” | 但愿我的性别能为我开脱” |
[22:48] | Wollstonecraft. | 沃斯通克拉夫特 |
[22:49] | Rather haughty. | 口气不小 |
[22:51] | Imagine if Whistledown wrote like this, | 想象一下如果维斯道恩也这么写 |
[22:53] | instead of simply turning our eye to every newly-minted debutante. | 而不是一味关注初入社交界的新人 |
[22:57] | Perhaps then we might find our respite | 也许大家都能喘口气 |
[22:59] | from the tedious sequence of tea parties and balls. | 不必面对没完没了的茶会、舞会 |
[23:01] | I rather think the only reason Whistledown writes about such things | 要我说 维斯道恩写这种东西 |
[23:05] | is because she is not an active participant in them. | 就是因为自己没能好好参与 |
[23:07] | Oh. Everyone has their theory, I suppose. Mmm. | 各人有各人的说法 |
[23:13] | Would you like me to prepare some potatoes for the ladies downstairs, ma’am? | 夫人 要我下楼为小姐们 做点土豆吃吗? |
[23:17] | Potatoes? Again? | 土豆?又是土豆? |
[23:18] | Why are we always eating potatoes? | 我们为什么总吃土豆? |
[23:20] | Because these days, I am the housekeeper, lady’s maid, scullery maid, and cook. | 因为现在我既要当管家 还得兼女仆、帮厨 还要做饭 |
[23:25] | Have all the staff truly departed? | 妈妈 难不成佣人真的走光了? |
[23:27] | Though I am quite good at boiling the veg. | 我的蔬菜也煮得不错呢 |
[23:29] | Thank you, Mrs. Varley. Potatoes would be lovely. | 谢谢 瓦里夫人 土豆挺好 |
[23:32] | A season with no new dresses, nor servants. | 社交季来临 没有新裙子 也没有佣人 |
[23:35] | Are we to empty our own chamber pots too? | 难不成还得自己倒夜壶? |
[23:37] | – Mama, I cannot do that. – Calm yourselves. | -妈妈 我可做不来 -别慌 |
[23:40] | As I have told you, once the new Lord Featherington arrives, | 我告诉过你们 等新的费瑟灵顿大人一来 |
[23:43] | we will be provided for. | 我们就衣食无忧了 |
[23:44] | Well, where is he? Why is he taking so long? | 那他人在哪里?怎么这么久还不来? |
[23:48] | Because he wishes to make us suffer. | 因为他想让我们受罪 |
[23:53] | The new Lord Featherington is off somewhere, | 这位新的费瑟灵顿大人 正躲在什么地方 |
[23:55] | delighting in our misfortune, | 幸灾乐祸 |
[23:57] | because the man is as cruel as can be. | 因为这个男人冷酷至极 |
[23:59] | I hear he cast his only son out to the Americas | 我听说他把唯一的儿子丢到美洲 |
[24:02] | for daring to question his word. | 就因为质疑父亲的话 |
[24:03] | I tremble to think where he will send the rest of us if he has a mind. | 真不敢想 如果他动了心思 会把我们赶去哪里 |
[24:07] | Cornwall, perhaps. | 兴许是康沃尔 |
[24:08] | Cornwall? | 康沃尔? |
[24:10] | Well, I suppose you may visit Mr. Finch and me. | 也许你们可以来我和芬奇先生家做客 |
[24:13] | If there is nary a penny for new dresses or staff, | 如果没钱做新裙子、请佣人 |
[24:15] | there is none for her dowry. | 那嫁妆就更没指望了 |
[24:17] | He shall prevent me from marrying? | 他会阻拦我出嫁? |
[24:19] | Of course not. | 当然不会 |
[24:20] | The man may be an old, bitter curmudgeon, but he is a gentleman | 虽然他年纪大、脾气坏 但毕竟还是一位绅士 |
[24:23] | and he will keep a gentleman’s agreement. | 绅士会信守诺言 |
[24:25] | Which is why we must waste no time in finding matches for the lot of you. | 所以我们必须抓紧时间 为你们几个找郎君 |
[24:30] | Unless you are all betrothed by the time our cousin arrives | 除非表亲来接手费瑟灵顿家产时 你们都名花有主 |
[24:32] | to claim the Featherington estate, we shall be at his mercy. | 不然我们只能任他处置 |
[24:36] | And then… heaven help us all. | 那就只能自求多福了 |
[24:42] | You could always sell the silverware. | 家里的银器总可以卖吧 |
[24:44] | The dinner service should fetch a handsome price. | 那些餐具能卖个好价钱呢 |
[25:01] | Are you thinking of wearing that one? | 你打算穿那件? |
[25:04] | It is quite beautiful. | 它很漂亮 |
[25:06] | No. These are for you, Bon. | 不 小妹 这都是给你准备的 |
[25:08] | We have come to London to find your husband, not mine. | 我们这次来伦敦是为你寻觅如意郎君 不是为了我 |
[25:11] | Yes. You are but a dear old maid. | 是啊 你不过是个老姑娘罢了 |
[25:13] | Ah. Who shall be perfectly happy doting on my many nieces and nephews one day soon. | 不久的将来 等老姑娘有了侄男外女 也会对他们疼爱有加 |
[25:18] | I shall spoil them exceedingly. You do know that, yes? | 我会把他们宠上天 你知道的 对吧? |
[25:24] | What is it? | 怎么了? |
[25:26] | I… | 我… |
[25:29] | only hope they like me tonight. | 我只希望今晚能受人青睐 |
[25:33] | How could they not? | 怎么可能不喜欢呢? |
[25:37] | Mama is doing that thing she always does when she is worried. | 看妈妈的样子 一定是又在担心了 |
[25:41] | The gossip she endured after marrying Appa | 嫁给阿爸 她忍受了诸多闲言碎语 |
[25:43] | had to have been unbearable, do you not think? | 肯定不堪重负 不是吗? |
[25:45] | Is this what troubles you? That was many years ago. | 你在为这个苦恼? 那都是多年前的事了 |
[25:48] | Everyone will still have questions. | 但人们还是会问这问那 |
[25:50] | About our family. About how you and I are related. | 好奇我们的家世 好奇你我如何成了亲戚 |
[25:54] | We are sisters. | 我们是姐妹 |
[25:56] | This place may feel different, | 虽说此地是另一番感受 |
[25:57] | but it will never change the way you and I see each other. | 但它永远改变不了你我的情谊 |
[26:01] | Besides, you heard Lady Danbury. She will smooth everything over. | 再说 丹伯里女士的话你也听到了 她会让一切都顺顺利利的 |
[26:06] | She is on our side. | 她是向着我们的 |
[26:08] | The dowager is more formidable than I imagined. | 这位贵妇人比我想象的要威严许多 |
[26:12] | She will have your head when she learns of your secret morning ride. | 要是她知道你清晨偷溜出去骑马 肯定饶不了你 |
[26:16] | Are you certain no one saw you? | 你确定没被人看到? |
[26:18] | Yes. Now, never mind her. | 确定 行了 别担心了 |
[26:20] | The dowager is not half as frightening as she thinks she is. | 她没有你想的那么可怕 |
[26:24] | You must be excited. | 你一定很期待吧 |
[26:26] | This is the first chapter of a happy story. | 幸福人生的第一章已经开启 |
[26:30] | All you have to do this evening | 今晚你只需要清楚 |
[26:31] | is remember what it is you are looking for. | 自己想找何种伴侣 |
[26:34] | Hmm. | |
[26:35] | – Someone charming. – Mm-hmm. | 要有魅力 |
[26:38] | And handsome, of course. | 当然 相貌要英俊 |
[26:40] | A prince or a duke, perhaps. | 亲王或者公爵 |
[26:42] | It is not a man’s appearance or title that will woo you. | 吸引你的不应是一个人的样貌与头衔 |
[26:45] | It is his mind and spirit that will court yours. | 而应是他的思想与意志 |
[26:49] | He will speak in a manner that only your heart can hear. | 一个只与你心意相通的人 |
[26:54] | That is what you are looking for. | 那才是你要寻找的 |
[26:56] | That is the true love you deserve. | 才是你值得拥有的真爱 |
[27:07] | This one? | 这件 |
[27:08] | They will not be ready. | 他们怕是要承受不住了 |
[27:40] | Just remember to breathe, Bon. | 小妹 |
[27:43] | Ah. | 保持呼吸 |
[27:47] | The Marquis of Ashdown. | 阿什当侯爵 |
[27:49] | A little young, to be sure, but he has 10,000 a year. | 虽然年纪略小 但年入万镑 |
[27:54] | The Earl of Gloucester. His wife recently died of influenza. | 格洛斯特伯爵 其妻子最近因流感身故 |
[27:58] | He might make a particularly estimable addition | 此人尤其能为莎尔玛大小姐你 |
[28:01] | to your dance card this evening, Miss Sharma. | 今晚的邀舞卡增色不少 |
[28:02] | I will not be taking to the floor tonight, Lady Danbury. | 丹伯里女士 今晚我不会应邀跳舞 |
[28:05] | Is there someone back home you’ve yet to tell me about? | 难到你已有心仪之人 却没有告诉我吗? |
[28:08] | Come now. I am long past all of that. | 诶哟 我早就过了那个阶段了 |
[28:10] | The only match I am interested in is for my sister. | 我只关心妹妹的归宿 |
[28:13] | She trusts me implicitly. Now, what about the Duke of Suffolk? | 她绝对信任我 那萨福克公爵怎么样? |
[28:17] | According to Debrett’s, he should be quite the catch this year. | 根据《德倍礼贵族年鉴》介绍 他应是今年的抢手人选 |
[28:20] | The duke flaunts his mistresses. | 这位公爵四处炫耀自己的情妇 |
[28:22] | I assure you, Miss Sharma, I have our prospects well in hand. | 莎尔玛小姐 |
[28:26] | Ah. | 你大可放心 我自有安排 |
[28:27] | There she is. | 她来了 |
[28:32] | So many flowers, | 群芳争艳 |
[28:35] | when what I really seek is a gem. | 但我要找的是宝石 |
[28:38] | Oh. | |
[28:40] | So soon, Lady Danbury? | 现在就去吗 丹伯里女士? |
[28:44] | Lady Danbury. A delightful soiree, as expected. | 丹伯里女士 不出所料 晚会果然精彩 |
[28:48] | Though my own later this week will be much more exclusive. | 不过 本周晚些时候由我举办晚会 到时嘉宾人选可要挑剔许多 |
[28:51] | Your Majesty, I would not think to compare. | 王后陛下 我万不敢与您相比 |
[28:54] | And rightly so. | 识时务者为俊杰 |
[28:56] | Your Majesty, may I present Lady Mary Sharma, | 王后陛下 容我为您介绍 玛丽莎尔玛夫人 |
[28:59] | whom you must remember. | 您一定有印象 |
[29:01] | And may I present her daughters, | 这边是她的两位千金 |
[29:03] | Miss Sharma and Miss Edwina Sharma, | 莎尔玛大小姐和她的妹妹埃德温娜 |
[29:07] | my personal special guests for the season. | 她们是我本季的贵宾 |
[29:09] | A high honor, indeed. | 还真是赏光啊 |
[29:11] | I hear you have made quite a journey | 我听说玛丽夫人这是多年之后 |
[29:14] | to join us again after all these years, Lady Mary. | 才漂洋过海与我们重聚 |
[29:16] | If only you had extended the courtesy | 若是动身之前 |
[29:18] | of offering your queen a final farewell before you left. | 懂得跟王后道声别 那该有多好 |
[29:25] | Oh, I do relish a challenge. | 我还就喜欢挑战 |
[29:43] | Stop fussing with your dress. | 别收拾裙子了 |
[29:45] | You look lovely, dear. | 已经很漂亮了 |
[29:46] | I look like a prize calf, trussed up for auction. | 我就像个良种牛犊 打扮了送去拍卖 |
[29:49] | Even Daphne felt most apprehensive | 连达芙妮第一次参加正式舞会 |
[29:51] | at her first official ball, and look how well her season turned out. | 都战战兢兢的 你看她最终的成果 |
[29:54] | Oh, right. | 是吗 |
[29:55] | Oh. | |
[29:56] | Come, Sister. The cakes at these occasions are surprisingly good. | 来吧 妹妹 |
[29:59] | Uh… Uh… | 这种场合的糕点 都格外美味呢 |
[30:04] | It truly is a sparse crop. | 真是乏善可陈 |
[30:06] | Oh, I am sure there is someone here who will charm you. | 这里一定有人能吸引你 |
[30:10] | After all, this is the season the viscount intends to find a wife. | 毕竟这个社交季 子爵大人 打算觅得贤妻 |
[30:16] | – You honestly just did that? – I believe I did. | -还带您这样的呢? -应该是吧 |
[30:19] | Lady Bridgerton. | 布里杰顿夫人 |
[30:20] | Lord Bridgerton. | 布里杰顿大人 |
[30:22] | – Dance, please, Lord Bridgerton? – Good evening. | -能赏光共舞吗 布里杰顿大人? -晚上好 |
[30:29] | Is that Lady Mary Sheffield Sharma? | 那不是玛丽谢菲尔德莎尔玛夫人吗? |
[30:32] | I can’t believe she would show her face here again. | 难以置信 她居然还敢露脸 |
[30:34] | A scandal, Mama? | 牵涉丑闻吗 妈妈? |
[30:36] | Lady Mary was the incomparable of our season, | 玛丽夫人是我们那一季的翘楚 |
[30:39] | until she fell in love with and married some kind of clerk, I hear. | 后来我听说 她爱上并下嫁给什么文员 |
[30:42] | The two of them absconded to India thereafter. | 尔后两个人跑到了印度 |
[30:45] | A maharajah I would have understood, | 若是个大君我还能理解 |
[30:48] | but the man was no more than a common worker who already had a child. | 可那个男人不过是个普通小工 而且还有个孩子 |
[30:52] | That must be her. | 那想必就是她了 |
[30:54] | The older one. | 大一点那个 |
[30:55] | Lady Mary’s parents, the Sheffields, never lived down the shame, did they? | 玛丽夫人的娘家 谢菲尔德家 一直都抬不起头 对吧? |
[30:59] | Too ashamed to show their faces in London. | 都不敢在伦敦露面 |
[31:01] | If only every family could be as respectable as ours. | 要是大家都能像我们家一样 受人敬重 那该多好 |
[31:04] | Yes, Lady Featherington? | 对吧 |
[31:09] | Dearest! | 费瑟灵顿夫人? |
[31:11] | My love. | -亲爱的! |
[31:19] | Hmm. | -我的爱人 |
[31:20] | Mr. and Mrs. Finch. | 芬奇先生 芬奇太太 |
[31:22] | Lady Featherington. | 费瑟灵顿夫人 |
[31:24] | It is a delightful surprise to see you in attendance. | 你能出席真是令人惊喜 |
[31:27] | After such a long mourning period. | 毕竟服丧服了这么久 |
[31:30] | Almost as long as our son has been courting Philippa, | 都快赶上我们儿子 追求菲利帕的时间了 |
[31:33] | if you can imagine. | 想想看 |
[31:34] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[31:36] | It has been a difficult time, indeed. | 的确是一段艰难岁月 |
[31:39] | Darkness has been our candle in recent months. | 最近几个月 黑暗之烛 |
[31:42] | Mmm. Have you come unaccompanied? | 一直与我们为伴 没有人陪同你吗? |
[31:44] | Or has the new heir finally come to manage | 还是说新的家族继承人已经到来 |
[31:46] | this unsettled business of your daughter’s dowry? | 解决令千金悬而未决的嫁妆问题? |
[31:51] | “Unsettled.” That is the precise word, Mr. Finch, | “悬而未决” 正是如此 芬奇先生 |
[31:54] | because I, too, have been… | 而我自己也是惴惴不安 |
[31:57] | …very unsettled, indeed. | |
[31:59] | Shaken to the bone, in fact, by… | 哀痛之至 |
[32:02] | …by grief. | 惶惶不可终日 |
[32:04] | Missing my dear, dear, very dead husband. | 想念我那亲爱的亡夫 |
[32:07] | I told you it was too soon! | 我就说为时尚早! |
[32:10] | You told me you wished for the boy to be out of the house! | 你说的想让那小子早点出去嘛! |
[32:14] | Our apologies, Lady Featherington. | 很抱歉 费瑟灵顿夫人 |
[32:17] | Do let us know when you are more… settled. | 等您略微安定一些了 请务必知会我们 |
[32:20] | Yes? | 好吗? |
[32:35] | – Number eight? – Yes. | -第八曲? -是的 |
[32:37] | I know that gentleman. | 我认得那位先生 |
[32:38] | – Who? – The viscount? | -谁? -子爵? |
[32:41] | I do not believe I have yet made an introduction. | 我还没介绍你们认识呢 |
[32:45] | Of course. | 当然 |
[32:46] | It must be my mistake. | 一定是我认错了 |
[32:48] | Though you have quite the eye. | 不过你眼光不错 |
[32:50] | Viscount Bridgerton is wealthy, well-connected, | 布里杰顿子爵家底殷实 人脉甚广 |
[32:54] | and from one of the ton’s most illustrious families. | 而且出身贵族名门 |
[32:57] | Apparently hoping to marry this season, | 显然他想趁本季娶妻 |
[32:59] | he may very well be our most eligible bachelor, indeed. | 也许他还真是个有力人选 |
[33:03] | He is very handsome. | 他很英俊 |
[33:05] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[33:07] | I suppose he is. | 应该是吧 |
[33:09] | Lord Corning. I was hoping to see you this evening. | 科尔宁大人 正盼着你来呢 |
[33:13] | Allow me to introduce Miss Sharma | 请允许我为你介绍莎尔玛大小姐 |
[33:17] | and Miss Edwina Sharma. | 以及埃德温娜莎尔玛小姐 |
[33:20] | It is a pleasure. Miss Edwina, would you honor me with a dance? | 幸会 埃德温娜小姐 能请你赏光共舞吗? |
[33:24] | Corning, you said? | 科尔宁是吧? |
[33:25] | The Baron Corning. | 科尔宁男爵 |
[33:31] | I would be delighted, my lord. | 非常乐意 大人 |
[33:38] | I do not recall reading of Corning’s family in my research. | 我不记得做调查时 读到过有关科尔宁家族的背景 |
[33:41] | It does not matter what you have and have not read. | 不管你读到什么 没读到什么 |
[33:45] | It is unacceptable here | 在这种场合 除非小姐已获邀约 |
[33:47] | for a lady to decline a dance with a gentleman | 否则 拒绝绅士邀舞 |
[33:49] | unless she’s already reserved by another. | 是绝对的大忌 |
[33:53] | I see we have much to learn. | 有些人道行尚浅啊 |
[34:04] | Spanish dance? | 西班牙舞曲? |
[34:11] | And they say Millerson has a whelp in the country. | 据说米勒森在乡下有个野种 |
[34:14] | Spitting image of his father. | 跟他爸像一个模子里刻出来的 |
[34:18] | There you are. | 你在这儿呀 |
[34:19] | Oh, Pen, I’m so glad to see you. Mama is already being insufferable. | 小佩 有你在真是太好了 妈妈真是够烦 |
[34:23] | At least she did not see fit to dress you as a sunflower. | 至少她没把你打扮成向日葵 |
[34:25] | I declare a bee might mistake me for the real thing. | 我敢说蜜蜂见了我都会错当成真花 |
[34:27] | Miss Bridgerton. May I request your next dance? | 布里杰顿小姐 能邀你跳下一支舞吗? |
[34:30] | Or I might accompany you to fetch some lemonade? | 或者陪你去饮些柠檬汁? |
[34:32] | – You seem parched. – How can you tell? Is she wilting? | -你好像口干了 -你怎么知道?她蔫了吗? |
[34:34] | Or punch, if you prefer? | 或许你喜欢潘趣酒? |
[34:36] | – A plant pun, if you’re wondering. – Apologies, gentlemen. | -那是花草双关 -抱歉 先生们 |
[34:38] | I regret to inform you that my dance card is already full. | 很遗憾 我的邀舞卡已经满了 |
[34:45] | Lord Byron? Wellington? Eloise, these names are false! | 拜伦大人?威灵顿? 埃洛伊斯 这都是瞎编的名字! |
[34:49] | I am merely following my sister’s valuable advice. | 我只是听从了姐姐的建议 |
[34:51] | She told me that it is of the utmost importance | 她说淑女的邀舞卡上 |
[34:53] | for a lady’s dance card to be filled with all of the right names. | 一定要填满适宜的名字 |
[34:56] | Eloise? | 埃洛伊斯? |
[34:57] | There you are, dear. | 亲爱的 原来你在这儿呢 |
[34:59] | Come. There is someone I would like you to meet. | 来 |
[36:03] | Bridgerton! | 给你介绍个人 布里杰顿! |
[36:11] | I owe you a drink. | 我欠你一杯酒 |
[36:12] | Whatever for? | 这从何说起? |
[36:13] | With you as the prize catch of the season, the rest of us shall receive a respite | 你成了本季的钻石王老五 我们其余人等就能喘口气 |
[36:16] | from the marriage-minded mamas this season, indeed. | 免受一心只想嫁女的姨婆纠缠 |
[36:19] | Enjoy your freedom while it lasts. | 趁着还是自由身 抓紧享受吧 |
[36:21] | You, too, will soon submit to this ridiculous rigmarole of courtship. | 你们迟早也要就范 加入这无聊荒谬的求偶游戏 |
[36:25] | Squiring every eligible miss around town until you’re barely able to see straight. | 陪着那些待嫁的小姐在城里逛 直到眼睛几乎看歪 |
[36:29] | Is one lady unlike any other? | 那些淑女能有多大区别? |
[36:31] | Simply pick the least objectionable and get her wed, bed, and bred. | 挑个最不碍眼的 娶了 睡了 生了 |
[36:34] | Then you can return to more pleasurable pursuits. | 然后就可以回来找乐子 |
[36:36] | And more pleasurable partners. | 找更解风情的人儿陪你 |
[36:39] | You may be cavalier, but if I must leg-shackle myself in marriage, | 你当你的风流骑士 可若要我绑上婚姻的枷锁 |
[36:42] | the lady in question should have more to recommend her. | 对方怎么说也要有几分优点才行 |
[36:45] | Do not tell us you are hoping for a love match? | 莫非你还想相爱结婚? |
[36:46] | Love is the last thing I desire. | 我可不指望什么爱情 |
[36:49] | But if my children are to be of good stock, | 可如果想让我的孩子有名门教养 |
[36:51] | then their mother must be of impeccable quality. | 做母亲的也必须无可挑剔 |
[36:53] | A pleasing face, an acceptable wit, | 眉清目秀 懂点风趣 |
[36:56] | genteel manners enough to credit a viscountess. | 温文尔雅 配得上子爵夫人的头衔 |
[36:58] | It should not be hard to find. | 应该不难找 |
[37:00] | And yet, the debutantes of London fall short at every turn. | 然而 伦敦这些初入社交界的女子 却差强人意 |
[37:03] | You want the best. Perhaps the queen will finally name a diamond. | 你想得到最好的 也许王后最终会选出钻石淑女 |
[37:06] | Save you some trouble. At least, of choosing her. | 也给你省了麻烦 至少你不用选了 |
[37:09] | Wooing the piece will be a different story, indeed. | 但追求能否得手 就是另一回事了 |
[37:11] | I shall have no problem there. | 这我应该不在话下 |
[37:16] | – Smoking room, gentlemen? – I shall be there anon. | -先生们 去吸烟室吗? -我马上就来 |
[37:31] | Is someone there? | 那边有人吗? |
[37:38] | I can hear y… | 我听到… |
[37:42] | you. | 是你 |
[37:44] | Pardon me, my lord. | 请原谅 大人 |
[37:46] | I never got your name. | 我还不知道你的名字 |
[37:48] | I was wondering if we’d meet again. | 之前我还在想 会不会再见面呢 |
[37:50] | So you might discern if my wit is acceptable, | 这样你就可以看看我懂不懂风趣 |
[37:52] | my manners genteel? | 举止是否文雅? |
[37:54] | You were eavesdropping? | 你一直在偷听? |
[37:55] | It was hardly an effort, | 哪里还至于偷听 |
[37:57] | seeing as you were proclaiming your many requirements for a wife | 你在那边大谈特谈择偶要求 |
[37:59] | loud enough for the entire party to hear. | 全场都听得清清楚楚 |
[38:01] | You take issue with them? | 你对它们有意见? |
[38:02] | I take issue with any man who views women merely as chattels and breeding stock. | 对于任何一个只把女人当所属品 当生育工具的男人 我都有意见 |
[38:06] | None of that was meant… | 我可没这个… |
[38:07] | Viscount Bridgerton, yes? | 布里杰顿子爵 对吧? |
[38:08] | When you manage to find this paragon of virtue, | 如果你真找到这么一位 完美的贤淑伴侣 |
[38:11] | whatever makes you think she will accept your suit? | 你怎么知道对方愿意接受你? |
[38:14] | Are the young ladies of London truly so easily won | 莫非伦敦的淑女都这么好哄 |
[38:17] | by a pleasing smile and absolutely nothing more? | 给个迷人的微笑就别无他求? |
[38:19] | So, you find my smile pleasing. | 就是说 你觉得我笑容迷人? |
[38:21] | I find your opinion of yourself entirely too high. | 我觉得你过于高看自己了 |
[38:23] | Your character is as deficient as your horsemanship. | 你的品格和你的骑术一样差强人意 |
[38:27] | I shall bid you good night. | 祝你晚安 |
[38:47] | Ah. Pen! | 小佩! |
[38:48] | Pen. Are you going somewhere? | -你这是要走? |
[38:51] | I was… just getting some air. It is so very stifling in the ballroom. | -出来透口气而已 舞厅里太憋闷了 |
[38:56] | The air or the dreary conversation? | 你是指空气 还是那些枯燥的对话? |
[38:59] | I do suppose this is the one benefit of being out. | 可能这也是初入社交界的好处 |
[39:02] | I have you to run off with. We shall never have to be alone. | 我还能跟你一起躲清静 你我都不会孤伶伶的 |
[39:06] | My thoughts exactly. | 我们想到一块儿去了 |
[39:13] | Have you seen your brother or your sister? | 看到你哥哥或者你妹妹了吗? |
[39:15] | They managed to escape you? Good for them. | 他们居然从您手中逃脱了?挺厉害啊 |
[39:20] | Lady Danbury. Splendid evening. | 丹伯里女士 今晚太精彩了 |
[39:23] | For the most part. | 总体还行吧 |
[39:25] | There are a few guests whose absence I might not have regretted. | 有些客人没来 倒也没什么可惜 |
[39:28] | I do hope I am not one of them. | 但愿我不是其中之一 |
[39:30] | You and I have common interests this season, it seems. | 你我这一季似乎有些意趣相投呢 |
[39:33] | I heard. Your wards, I look forward to meeting them. | 我听说了 也很期待认识 您所关照那两位小姐呢 |
[39:36] | And I look forward to showing these other mamas | 我也很期待 让其他嫁女的母亲们见识见识 |
[39:38] | how the game ought to be played. | 游戏到底应该怎么玩 |
[39:40] | Though, it appears you have already stoked the fire by informing them | 不过 你似乎已经把子爵本季的意图 |
[39:44] | of the viscount’s intentions for this season. | 昭告世人了 |
[39:46] | My son said he was ready. Who am I to question it? | 我儿子说时机已到 我又能说什么? |
[39:48] | They all must come around eventually, I suppose. | 这都是迟早的事 |
[39:51] | Lady Danbury, we wish to leave. | 丹伯里女士 我们想退场了 |
[39:52] | Miss Sharma, allow me to introduce you… | 莎尔玛小姐 容我介绍… |
[39:54] | Charmed. My mama is already in our carriage. | 幸会 我母亲已经上马车了 |
[39:56] | We will see you at home. | 我们府上见 |
[39:59] | People are watching, my dear. You are clearly upset… | 亲爱的 大家可都看着呢 显然你不太高兴… |
[40:02] | What is clear is we are woefully unprepared | 显然我们毫无准备 |
[40:04] | to navigate this lion’s den. I am sure Edwina’s absence | 无法在这龙潭虎穴中自如周旋 埃德温娜此时缺席 |
[40:07] | will only make her that much more desirable. | 一定会让追求者对她更加渴望 |
[40:10] | It truly was a magnificent soiree, Lady Danbury. | 丹伯里女士 今天的晚会着实盛大 |
[40:13] | We are most grateful. | 我们感激之至 |
[40:18] | Well, | 诶哟 |
[40:20] | it would seem both of us may have our hands full this year. | 看来你我今年都不省心 |
[40:23] | Not if I have something to say about it. | 除非我有话说 |
[40:25] | And as you very well know, I always have something to say. | 而你也清楚 我向来都有话说 |
[40:33] | Delightful evening, Mama! | 妈妈 今晚很愉快! |
[40:35] | Night, Sisters! | 晚安 姐姐! |
[40:36] | Good night, young ladies! | 晚安 孩子们! |
[41:30] | – Can you go any faster? – Yes, miss! | -能再跑快点吗? -是 小姐! (赞善里印刷坊) |
[41:41] | Lawks, I thought you weren’t coming. | 哎哟 我还以为你不来了呢 |
[41:44] | My mistress apologizes for the delay. | 我家女主人为迟来致歉 |
[41:46] | This is for today. It must print before noon. | 这是今日份的 中午之前必须印好 |
[41:51] | Last edition’s takings, yes? | 按照上一版的规格 对吧? |
[41:54] | 800 copies at five pence apiece, sold for eight pence each, | 一共800份 每份五便士 卖价八便士 |
[41:57] | minus the delivery boys’ wages, there should be eleven pounds, | 扣除报童的工钱 应该总共是 |
[42:00] | two shillings here altogether. | 11镑零两个先令 |
[42:02] | My mistress is willing to take an even ten. | 我家女主人愿意只收10镑 |
[42:04] | You get to keep the surplus for your rapid service. | 零头算是你赶工的报偿 |
[42:06] | These delays will be more frequent now due to an… unforeseen circumstance, | 日后这样的延迟可能会愈发频繁 因为有…不可预知的情况 |
[42:11] | so, it’s really a bargain. | 所以对你很划算 |
[42:18] | There is nothing quite like | 成功的美妙滋味 |
[42:20] | the sweet-scented smell of success. | 总是无可比拟 |
[42:24] | But after taking in the scene from last night’s festivities, | 但见过了昨日晚会的阵势 |
[42:27] | it is clear the season won’t be quite so fragrant for everyone. | 显然本季并非会人人得意 |
[42:35] | The Viscount Bridgerton’s own mama | 布里杰顿子爵的母亲 |
[42:38] | may have loudly declared her eldest son’s | 虽已大声宣告 |
[42:41] | lofty intentions to marry, | 长子的娶妻弘愿 |
[42:43] | yet I cannot be the only one wondering | 但恐怕不止我一个人好奇 |
[42:46] | if this former Capital-R-Rake | 从前十足的浪子 |
[42:49] | is, indeed, ready to flourish. | 是否真的准备好开花结果了 |
[42:55] | Perhaps the viscount, like the rest of us, | 也许子爵大人和我们一样 |
[42:58] | is simply waiting for the queen to finally name her diamond. | 就等着王后宣布钻石淑女的人选 |
[43:03] | Or perhaps this author | 也许笔者 |
[43:05] | should take matters into her own hands. | 应该亲自插手 |
[43:08] | I shall not be hustled into making my selection. | 我才不会受人逼迫 仓促选择 |
[43:11] | Not by anyone. | 谁也别想得逞 |
[43:12] | Of course, Your Majesty. | 当然 陛下 |
[43:13] | Take this away. | 把这个拿走 |
[43:15] | And bring me a list of the peerage. | 给我拿贵族爵位清单来 |
[43:26] | Some tea, my lord? | 大人 要喝茶吗? |
[43:27] | Perhaps some warm milk may be better. | 来点热牛奶更合适 |
[43:30] | Oh! Are those marbles? What fun! | 玩弹珠吗?太好了! |
[43:35] | Might I go and read now? | 我能去看书了吗? |
[43:37] | Though, of the many purportedly well-trained | 不过 今年展示了众多 |
[43:40] | and bred hothouse flowers on display this year, | 相传精心浇灌的 温室花朵 |
[43:44] | this author must wonder | 笔者好奇 |
[43:47] | if a more surprising choice might still be in store. | 会不会从中诞生惊喜之选 |
[43:53] | The younger one would do, if the eldest just got out of the way. | 妹妹还可以 没有姐姐碍事就好了 |
[43:56] | The sister is dreadful. | 太讨人嫌了 |
[44:03] | Not on my chair! | 别上我的椅子! |
[44:12] | Whichever darling miss receives such high esteem, | 无论是哪位佳人获此殊荣 |
[44:16] | let us hope there is a suitor available of only the sharpest wit, | 但愿能有一位思维犀利的追求者 |
[44:21] | lest his dry musings leave a young lady wilting like a parched rose. | 以免枯燥的琐思令妙龄淑女 如干枯的玫瑰一般凋萎 |
[44:28] | It is rather clever the way she uses plant puns to belittle. | 真聪明 用花草双关来贬低对方 |
[44:32] | Clever indeed! | 的确很聪明! |
[44:35] | The candlesticks, see what they’re worth. | 问问看烛台值多少钱 |
[44:38] | Yes, ma’am. | 是 夫人 |
[44:43] | There. You see? | 这不 你看吧? |
[44:48] | Lady Goring was quite taken | 德拉克洛瓦女士 |
[44:50] | with Eloise’s dress last night, Madame Delacroix. | 戈灵夫人很喜欢埃洛伊斯昨晚的裙子 |
[44:52] | She would keep saying how well it complemented her complexion. | 一直说裙子很衬她的肤色 |
[44:56] | She said you reminded her of Daphne, dearest. | 还说你让她想起达芙妮 亲爱的 |
[44:59] | I am not Daphne. | 我可不是达芙妮 |
[45:02] | – This is the one. – Ah. | 就是这个 |
[45:03] | With pleasure, Lady Bridgerton. | 乐意效劳 布里杰顿夫人 |
[45:10] | You do know, Eloise, that you might enjoy the next ball | 埃洛伊斯 你明知道 若是跟谁跳一曲 |
[45:13] | if you, in fact, danced with someone. | 下场舞会也许你会乐在其中 |
[45:15] | Meeting new people, it can be thrilling. | 结交新人多令人激动啊 |
[45:18] | Yes, it certainly seemed as though Anthony had a thrilling time. | 是啊 安东尼看起来就挺激动的 |
[45:21] | Swept away by many a nimble-footed young lady, Brother? | 哥哥 有没有哪个 舞步轻快的淑女令你倾心? |
[45:24] | I can still barely feel my toes. | 我的脚趾现在还麻着呢 |
[45:26] | I thought you ladies were taught to dance. | 淑女们不都学过跳舞吗 |
[45:28] | I thought you gentlemen capable of worthwhile conversation. | 绅士们不都谈吐机智吗? |
[45:31] | How sad both of our hopes were dashed. | 真可惜 你我都幻想破灭 |
[45:35] | I think Eloise would make a brilliant diamond. | 我觉得埃洛伊斯也能成为 出色的钻石淑女 |
[45:38] | I could not agree more, Hyacinth. | 海厄森斯 你所言极是 |
[45:40] | Perhaps Her Majesty will take note at her ball tomorrow night. | 也许王后陛下 会在今晚的舞会上留意她 |
[45:44] | I despise you. | 我鄙视你 |
[45:49] | Madame Delacroix. | 德拉克洛瓦女士 |
[45:50] | I didn’t know you were back in town. | 我都不知道你回城了 |
[45:52] | Bien sûr! | 当然要回来! |
[45:53] | Who else could dress these delicate debutantes for the season? | 不然本季初入社交界的淑女 衣裙要谁来做? |
[45:59] | Does that mean I shall see you later on tonight? | 那是不是说 今夜晚些时候 我们能见面? |
[46:02] | I hear there’s a party. | 我听说今晚有聚会 |
[46:05] | I have much work to do, Mr. Bridgerton, | 布里杰顿先生 我工作繁忙 |
[46:09] | and my art must come before all else. | 我的艺术先于一切 |
[46:13] | Enjoy your time. | 祝您愉快 |
[46:19] | Brother. | 弟弟 |
[46:26] | Are you and the modiste still, uh, making a stitch? | 你跟女装店老板还藕断丝连着呢? |
[46:29] | Apparently not. Have you found a wife yet? | 显然没有 你有妻子的人选了吗? |
[46:31] | Or are you planning to offend every girl until there are none left? | 还是打算把所有的姑娘都得罪光? |
[46:34] | Is Mother aware? | 母亲知道吗? |
[46:35] | – Aware of what? – I’m off to deal with our solicitor. | -知道什么? -我出发去见家族律师了 |
[46:39] | Have fun with your pretty pictures, Brother. | 作画愉快 弟弟 |
[46:45] | Anthony? | 安东尼? |
[46:48] | There were some lovely young ladies in attendance last night, were there not? | 昨晚有很多清秀佳人到场 对吧? |
[46:53] | Lady Delilah has beautiful manners, | 黛利拉小姐举止优雅 |
[46:55] | and I hear Miss Goodrum is very accomplished in her needlework. | 我听说古德拉姆小姐刺绣功夫了得 |
[46:59] | Perhaps you shall get to know them better soon. | 也许你可以多了解一下 |
[47:01] | Lady Delilah can barely string a sentence together, | 黛利拉小姐开口话不成句 |
[47:03] | and Miss Goodrum thought that Napoleon fights for the Spanish. | 古德拉姆小姐以为 拿破仑替西班牙卖命打仗 |
[47:07] | As for every other eager chit you pushed in my direction, | 至于您硬塞的其他几个 如饥似渴的小妮子 |
[47:09] | I’d happily never lay eyes on them again. | 我巴不得再也不见 |
[47:11] | – Anthony… – I am looking for perfection, Mother. | -安东尼 -母亲 我要的是无可挑剔 |
[47:13] | And you should be too. | 您也应该这样 |
[47:14] | The woman I marry shall be the Viscountess Bridgerton. | 我要娶的女子 将成为布里杰顿子爵夫人 |
[47:17] | The lady of this household, responsible for launching my sisters | 操持这个家 领妹妹们进入社交界 |
[47:20] | and bearing my children. | 为我生儿育女 |
[47:22] | Do you desire them to be raised by a woman | 您真的希望生养他们的女人 |
[47:24] | who does not know how to so much as hold a map right side up? | 拿个地图都上下不分吗? |
[47:28] | This is the duty I must fulfill. | 这就是我要尽的责任 |
[47:33] | You will end up alone | 如果抱着这种期望 |
[47:36] | with such expectations. | 你只会变成孤家寡人 |
[47:43] | Good day, Mother. | 日安 |
[47:58] | ♪ La-la-la-la-la-la-la ♪ | 母亲 |
[48:07] | Why is it so quiet in here? | 屋里怎么这么安静? |
[48:10] | Because I am alone? | 因为我一个人待着? |
[48:12] | Reading, as I always do. | 和平时一样 |
[48:14] | You are so boring. | 在读书 你可真无趣 |
[48:17] | I will be perfectly putrefied if Philippa does manage to marry Finch. | 菲利帕若真嫁给芬奇 我怕是要没聊死 |
[48:22] | “Petrified.” The word is “petrified.” | “无聊” 那个词念“无聊” |
[48:29] | What is that? | 那是什么? |
[48:30] | What is what? | 你指什么? |
[48:31] | – What you are writing. – I am not writing. | -你写的东西 -我没写东西 |
[48:33] | But you were. | 才怪 |
[48:34] | Prudence. Do not… Hand it back! | 普鲁登斯 别…还给我! |
[48:36] | Why, you little devil-doll! | 你这个小鬼头! |
[48:39] | This is what occupies your “quiet” time? | “安静”的时候居然做这个? |
[48:41] | What are you ladies doing, still up? | 你们为何还不睡觉? |
[48:45] | Penelope was writing… | 佩内洛普在给… |
[48:47] | to Colin Bridgerton. | 科林布里杰顿写信 |
[48:50] | Well, that would explain the ink all over her fingers. | 难怪手指上沾得全是墨水 |
[48:52] | I declare, Penelope. | 我说 佩内洛普啊 |
[48:54] | Colin is my friend! | 科林是我的朋友! |
[48:55] | As if he would ever waste his ink on someone like you. | 好像人家会在你身上浪费墨水似的 |
[48:59] | – Are these worth anything? – What? | -这些值钱吗? -什么? |
[49:01] | Your books. Books can be worth something, can they not? | 你的书 书也能值些钱 对吧? |
[49:04] | I do not think so, Mama. | 我想不会 |
[49:06] | Oh, pity. | 妈妈 可惜了 |
[49:09] | You must stop wasting your precious time | 你不该在写信这种无谓爱好上 |
[49:11] | on such pointless pursuits as writing silly letters. | 继续浪费时间 |
[49:15] | Colin Bridgerton is no more your friend than I am the next Catherine the Great. | 科林布里杰顿不是你的朋友 正如我不会成为下一个凯瑟琳大帝 |
[49:21] | Now, wipe your hands, lest someone should think you a commoner. | 行了 把手擦擦 不然别人还以为你是平民呢 |
[49:43] | Ma’am. | 夫人 |
[49:45] | A letter for you. | 您的信 |
[49:58] | Your tea grows cold. | 你的茶凉了 |
[50:01] | My horses do not. | 我的马却跑得浑身火热 |
[50:04] | Did you plan to ride again tomorrow morning? | 你明早还打算骑马吗? |
[50:10] | I know all that goes on in my home. | 我对家中的一切了如指掌 |
[50:14] | And since you insist on sneaking around, | 既然你一定要鬼鬼祟祟 |
[50:17] | I may as well save us both the trouble. | 那我索性为你我都省些麻烦 |
[50:20] | Correspondence from your grandparents, the Sheffields. | 你外祖父母 谢菲尔德家的来信 |
[50:23] | I wrote to them before you arrived. | 你们到达之前 我写信给他们 |
[50:25] | Those people are not my grandparents, Lady Danbury. | 丹伯里女士 他们不是我的外祖父母 |
[50:28] | I have no relation to them whatsoever, in fact. | 事实上 我与他们没有任何关系 |
[50:31] | It seems you have not been straightforward with me. | 看来你对我并没有实言相告 |
[50:35] | I realize I should not have gone out for a morning ride without a chaperone. | 我明白 我不该无人陪伴 擅自清早外出骑马 |
[50:39] | And what about failing to tell me | 那么你隐瞒了此次带妹妹 |
[50:41] | why you have truly come to London with your sister? | 来伦敦的真正原因 这又怎么说? |
[50:45] | I’m rather more concerned about that. | 这件事倒更令我挂心 |
[50:49] | We have come to find Edwina a husband. | 我们来是为给埃德温娜找夫婿 |
[50:52] | And is that all? | 仅此而已吗? |
[50:54] | You would be wise to reconsider | 莎尔玛小姐 你最好考虑清楚 |
[50:56] | resorting to more forgeries and half-truths, Miss Sharma. | 不要继续编造 或者真假混杂 |
[51:00] | Very few attempt to outwit me, and even fewer succeed. | 没几个人胆敢跟我耍聪明 得逞的更是少之又少 |
[51:05] | You are living under my roof, under my care, | 你们住在我家 受我照顾 |
[51:09] | relying on my good name, my connections, my money. | 仰仗着我的好名声、好关系 花着我的钱 |
[51:13] | I vouched for you and your sister in front of Her Majesty the Queen, | 我在王后陛下面前 为你们姐妹做了担保 |
[51:17] | all because | 这都是因为 |
[51:20] | I thought I was paying a kindness to an old friend… | 我以为我这是善待故交… |
[51:24] | And we are truly grateful for everything. | 我们也由衷地感激您 |
[51:28] | Your mama misses your father, naturally. | 你母亲肯定很想念你父亲 |
[51:32] | But she never really wanted to come back here, did she? | 但她并不想回到这里 |
[51:35] | You did! | 对吧? 想回来的人是你! |
[51:38] | I have no interest in being used as a pawn in someone else’s game. | 我可不想被人利用 成为他人棋盘上的卒子 |
[51:41] | That is not what we are doing. | 我们没有利用您 |
[51:43] | Then tell me what stipulations the Sheffields have apparently set down | 那就告诉我 关于埃德温娜的婚姻 |
[51:47] | with regard to Edwina’s match. | 谢菲尔德家开出了什么条件 |
[51:49] | Stipulations which, if met, will, I am guessing, | 我猜一旦满足了这些条件 |
[51:51] | guarantee great fortune for you and your family. | 你和你的家人也能得到大笔财富 |
[51:58] | Edwina must marry an Englishman of nobility. | 埃德温娜必须嫁给英国贵族 |
[52:07] | They could not control your mama’s marriage, | 他们控制不了你母亲的婚姻 |
[52:11] | so they mean to interfere with your sister’s. | 便想插手你妹妹的婚事 |
[52:14] | Yes. | 没错 |
[52:15] | They never recovered from my father’s lack of rank and title. | 我父亲既没地位又没头衔 谢菲尔德家一直耿耿于怀 |
[52:19] | Though let me assure you, Lady Danbury, I am not here for selfish reasons. | 但我向您保证 丹伯里女士 我此番前来并非为一己私欲 |
[52:24] | After my father died, Mama and I did the best we could | 我父亲亡故后 母亲和我尽心竭力 |
[52:27] | to raise Edwina, all so she would never know of our struggles. | 养育埃德温娜 不让她知晓家中困苦 |
[52:32] | But our money ran low. We used the last for this very journey. | 然而家中积蓄所剩无几 仅剩的一点也用作此行路费 |
[52:36] | The Sheffields have agreed to bestow a sizable dowry on my sister, | 谢菲尔德家同意赠予妹妹 一笔数目可观的嫁妆 |
[52:39] | and to look after my mama. | 并且照料我母亲 |
[52:42] | But only if Edwina marries properly. | 但前提是埃德温娜必须嫁户好人家 |
[52:52] | And what about you? | 那你呢? |
[52:54] | If I could marry for the sake of my family, I would. | 如果成婚可以救家人于水火 那我心甘情愿 |
[52:57] | But I am not my mama’s daughter by birth. Edwina is. | 但我不是妈妈的亲生女儿 |
[53:01] | Oh. | 埃德温娜才是 |
[53:03] | I’ve spent the last eight years | 过去这八年 |
[53:05] | raising my sister to walk in the right way, | 我教妹妹得体地走路 |
[53:08] | to talk in the right way, to play the pianoforte just so. | 得体地说话 弹一手好钢琴 |
[53:15] | Teaching her twice as much and watching her work twice as hard as anyone else. | 我加倍教她 她也比别人加倍努力 |
[53:19] | I even taught her how to make this pitiful excuse for tea the English so adore. | 我甚至教她学英国人的爱好 没事找事喝茶 |
[53:23] | I despise English tea. | 我讨厌英式茶饮 |
[53:26] | But if it means my sister will not be left destitute, | 但如果这样能让妹妹免受贫困之苦 |
[53:30] | then I will smile, and I will nod politely | 我会心甘情愿地喝下每一口 |
[53:32] | after each and every sip, to be sure. | 过后还会面带微笑 礼貌点头 |
[53:38] | Your sister has a right to know. | 你妹妹有权知晓 |
[53:40] | As you said, it is her future. | 如你所说 事关她的未来 |
[53:45] | That is precisely why I shield her. Because I know her. | 正因如此 我了解她 所以才要保护她 |
[53:49] | If she was made aware of the circumstances, | 如果她知道我们的处境 |
[53:51] | she would marry quickly only to please us. | 一定会草率结婚 好让我们安心 |
[53:54] | She would say yes to any man kind enough to ask. | 只要有人开口 她一定会答应 |
[53:57] | Edwina deserves a chance to find love without such a burden. | 埃德温娜理应拥有 无忧无虑寻找真爱的机会 |
[54:03] | Please, you must not tell a soul. | 拜托您 |
[54:07] | Mmm. | 千万不要告诉任何人 |
[54:11] | Formed under pressure, desired by many, | 经受重重压力 众人趋之若鹜 |
[54:15] | yet possessed only by a fortunate few, | 幸运儿却屈指可数 |
[54:19] | there is nothing on earth quite so envied | 世间再无任何如钻石般 |
[54:23] | as a diamond. | 受人艳羡之物了 |
[54:34] | Might our queen finally | 我们的王后陛下最终 |
[54:36] | extinguish the fevered speculation | 能否泰然度断 |
[54:39] | and bestow the highest of honors | 将这份最高荣誉 |
[54:41] | to a most fortunate young lady tonight? | 授予今晚的幸运之女呢? |
[54:48] | With so many futures at risk, | 多少人将前途寄望于此 |
[54:52] | I do suspect this author is not the only one | 想必不只是笔者一人 |
[54:55] | waiting with bated breath. | 正屏息以待 |
[55:00] | I do hope you are finding everything in town to your satisfaction, | 玛丽夫人 但愿城中生活 |
[55:05] | Lady Mary. | 还合你心意 |
[55:06] | Indeed I am, Your Majesty. | 非常顺心 陛下 |
[55:08] | This time around, that is. | 这一次 但愿吧 |
[55:10] | Perhaps your mother would enjoy some refreshment, Miss Sharma. | 莎尔玛大小姐 也许你母亲可以享用些茶点 |
[55:23] | I might think Lady Mary deserves some recognition, ma’am. | 夫人 以我拙见 玛丽夫人的努力 亦值得些许赏识 |
[55:27] | It’s certainly a sign of true devotion on her part, | 毕竟 她将自己的一双千金 |
[55:30] | having sought to introduce her daughters | 送到陛下的慧眼前 |
[55:32] | under the discerning eye of Your Majesty, after all. | 其赤诚忠心可见一斑 |
[55:35] | The youngest one, in particular, I think, | 尤其是那位年幼的小姐 |
[55:38] | will certainly make a match that will be the envy of the ton. | 此番如能缔结良缘 定能令一众贵族羡慕不已 |
[55:42] | Why do I sense my strings being pulled, Lady Danbury? | 丹伯里女士 朕怎么觉着 正被人牵着走呢? |
[55:46] | You said you wanted to shake up the season. | 您说这一季想看点新鲜 |
[55:50] | Now is your chance. | 现在机会来了 |
[55:59] | Anyone here you’ve not yet rejected? | 这里还有谁是你没拒绝过的? |
[56:01] | You’re the artist. Do you see anyone remotely inspiring? | 你是艺术家 看见哪个能入眼的吗? |
[56:05] | We shall have our diamond tonight, and I shall have a wife. | 今晚钻石淑女即将产生 而我也就有了贤妻人选 |
[56:11] | Lady Bridgerton. Miss Bridgerton. | 布里杰顿夫人 布里杰顿小姐 |
[56:13] | Such a shame your presentation at court was so rudely interrupted. | 你上次觐见被无情打断 实属可惜 |
[56:17] | Shame, indeed. | 的确可惜 |
[56:18] | I nearly forgot you were making your debut this season. | 朕差点忘了 这一季你将进入社交界 |
[56:22] | After your elder sister’s triumph, | 有了你姐姐的成功先例 |
[56:25] | perhaps good fortune might run in the family. | 或许幸运能在家族中得以延续 |
[56:31] | Uh, it is a delightful ball, Your Majesty. | 王后陛下 |
[56:34] | Very diamond-y. | 今次舞会着实赏心悦目 钻耀全场 |
[56:36] | Though, I must admit, I am more of an emerald person myself. | 不过 恕小女直言 翡翠更得我心 |
[56:46] | Oh, dear! | 诶哟! |
[56:49] | My favorite necklace is one of emeralds. | 朕最钟情的项链就镶有翡翠 |
[56:51] | – How thoughtful of you to know that. – Oh. | 爱卿真是有心 |
[56:54] | It seems you have indeed | 布里杰顿小姐 |
[56:55] | come a long way since last year, Miss Bridgerton. | 这一年来你还真是长进不少 |
[57:05] | Excuse me. | |
[57:10] | If the queen, in fact, names Eloise the diamond, | 如果王后真把埃洛伊斯选为钻石淑女 |
[57:14] | whom will you marry then, Brother? | 那你要娶谁? |
[57:16] | Hush, you. | 闭嘴吧你 |
[57:32] | Pen! | 小佩! |
[57:33] | Pen! Pen, Pen. Pen. | |
[57:34] | We must leave. | 我们得赶紧走 |
[57:35] | The queen, she… I somehow managed to charm her. | 王后她…我居然把她哄高兴了 |
[57:39] | – She seems to, in fact, like me. I don’t… – Eloise, you must calm down. | -她似乎很喜欢我 -埃洛伊斯 你别慌 |
[57:43] | Eloise Bridgerton. | 埃洛伊斯布里杰顿 |
[57:44] | The diamond. | 钻石淑女 |
[57:47] | Perhaps now you might stop spending time with insipid wallflowers all evening | 你也该适可而止 别总是整晚 跟无趣的壁花小姐黏在一起 |
[57:51] | and refine your circle of friends. | 不妨结交点正经人 |
[57:52] | I may have an opening… | -我也许可以… |
[57:54] | I would rather die. | -那还不如要了我的命 |
[58:05] | How you managed an entire season of these absurd events | 我真是无法想象 一整季无聊聚会 |
[58:07] | alongside people like Cressida Cowper is beyond me. | 整日与克蕾丝达考珀这种人打照面 你怎么受得了 |
[58:10] | And it’s not just her. It is all of them. | 不光是她 所有人都一样 |
[58:12] | Staring at me as if I were some fine china teapot. | 两眼直勾勾 拿我当精致茶壶 |
[58:15] | How did you do it on your own, Pen? | 小佩 你自己怎么撑得住? |
[58:17] | I do not share your difficulties, El. | 小埃 我可没你那种苦恼 |
[58:19] | – “Insipid wallflower,” remember? – Ugh. That is not… | -我不是“无趣的壁花小姐”嘛? -我不是… |
[58:21] | Cressida is incensed that even her new dress | 克蕾丝达怨气太重 连新裙子 |
[58:23] | cannot hide her character. | 都掩饰不住糟糕人品 |
[58:31] | It’s not that bad, you know. | 其实倒也不至于 |
[58:33] | – The wallflower thing. – Mmm. | 当壁花没那么糟糕 |
[58:36] | I always get the first glass of lemonade. | 总能喝到第一杯柠檬汁 |
[58:38] | I know who all the best dancers are just from watching. | 光看就知道谁的舞跳得好 |
[58:41] | I can always tell when a suitor is serious | 我总能看出哪位追求者是出于挚诚 |
[58:43] | about courtship just by how he looks when a young lady dances with another. | 他看某位小姐与他人共舞的眼神 就说明一切 |
[58:46] | The wall even affords me the chance to hear what the footmen say in secret. | 当壁花还有机会听男仆们窃窃私语 |
[58:51] | You’ve been keeping it from me. | 你一直瞒着我 |
[58:56] | You do not have to pretend any longer, Pen. | 小佩 你不用再装了 |
[59:00] | You like all of this. | 你乐此不疲 |
[59:04] | Well, it can be amusing. | 真的很有意思 |
[59:09] | I know you have begun to think little of her, | 我知道 你对维斯道恩女士略有微词 |
[59:11] | but is Lady Whistledown still not a source of amusement? | 但她还是为我们带来不少乐趣 不是吗? |
[59:13] | It’s not that I think little of her. | 我对她并无微词 |
[59:16] | When she was gone, I thought I would miss her. | 她沉寂之时 我以为我会想念她 |
[59:17] | I thought I needed her to make sense of this world. But… | 我以为只有通过她 我才能理解这个世界 可是… |
[59:21] | now she is back, reporting on the same old things. | 现在她回来了 说的写的还是老一套 |
[59:24] | Just another reminder of how trapped I am. | 只会令我想起自己的困境 |
[59:30] | I can feel people’s eyes on me. | 我能感受到人们看我的目光 |
[59:32] | Every time I walk into a ballroom, I know they are comparing me to Daphne. | 每次我步入舞厅 他们都拿我与达芙妮相比 |
[59:35] | She was so good at being the diamond and it made my mother so happy. | 身为钻石淑女 她表现那么出众 母亲乐得合不拢嘴 |
[59:41] | I can never live up to that. | 而我永远望尘莫及 |
[59:43] | I do not want to live up to that, but it does not make it any easier to know | 这倒也不是我的追求 可一想到自己一进门 众人就失望 |
[59:46] | you are constantly disappointing people just by walking into a room. | 那滋味也不好受 |
[59:51] | I never thought of it that way. | 我还真没这么想过 |
[59:54] | No one truly notices me. | 没人真正注意过我 |
[59:58] | I suppose that is what I like. | 可能我就是这样吧 |
[1:00:01] | When you’re invisible, you have all the amusement you want | 如果成了隐形人 你就可以尽情享乐 |
[1:00:04] | without any of the expectations popularity brings. | 不必因为受欢迎 而承受他人期待的负累 |
[1:00:07] | It frees you. | 它能给你自由 |
[1:00:10] | Do you think that is why Whistledown remains anonymous? | 莫非这就是维斯道恩 隐姓埋名的原因? |
[1:00:14] | Perhaps. | 也许吧 |
[1:00:17] | Do you think that is why Cressida is so cruel? | 莫非正因如此 克蕾丝达才如此毒舌? |
[1:00:19] | No. | 不是 |
[1:00:21] | I think she just wears her hair too tight. | 她就是头发扎太紧了 |
[1:00:30] | Oh. | |
[1:00:40] | Your presence is noted, | 众颜皆阅 |
[1:00:42] | and your queen most appreciative. | 朕心甚慰 |
[1:00:46] | Allow it to now be my honor to present to you the season’s diamond. | 在此 朕荣幸为各位介绍 本季钻石淑女 |
[1:01:02] | Miss Edwina Sharma. | 埃德温娜莎尔玛小姐 |
[1:01:21] | You look at her the way I look at a finished painting, Brother. | 哥哥 你看她的眼神 跟我看完工的画作一模一样 |
[1:01:24] | Every man needs a muse, does he not? | 男人也需要个缪斯 不是吗? |
[1:01:40] | Viscount Bridgerton. | 布里杰顿子爵 |
[1:01:43] | Have you yet met my new incomparable? | 见过朕新选的绝世佳人了吗? |
[1:01:46] | I am most grateful for the introduction, Your Majesty. | 陛下 感谢您费心引荐 |
[1:01:49] | I only hope I shall be afforded the pleasure of a dance. | 微臣只求佳人能赏光共舞 |
[1:02:02] | I suppose I should thank you. | 看来我应该感谢您 |
[1:02:05] | Oh, child. It is much too soon for that. | 孩子 现在言谢还为时尚早 |
[1:02:10] | You must know the real work begins now. | 要知道 现在才要开始下功夫了 |
[1:02:13] | Indeed. There will be a mire to wade through | 的确 我妹妹肯定 |
[1:02:15] | on behalf of my sister, to be sure. | 还要经历各种泥泞 |
[1:02:17] | Speaking of, where is my sister? | 说到这里 我妹妹在哪儿? |
[1:02:21] | Forgive my directness. Do you have any thoughts about children? | 恕我冒昧 你对生儿育女有何看法? |
[1:02:25] | Other than the fact that I desire them so? | 除了我有此意愿? |
[1:02:28] | However many I have, my lord, I shall feel most fortunate. | 大人 无论儿女几多 我都心满意足 |
[1:02:31] | Together with my husband, we will chart the best course. | 与夫君同心 一切将水到渠成 |
[1:02:35] | How very sensible. | 你颇明事理 |
[1:02:37] | Do you play any musical instruments, by chance? | 你对乐器有造诣吗? |
[1:02:41] | Many, in fact. | 颇有造诣 |
[1:02:43] | But, for the most part, my education was taken up by more serious pursuits. | 但我所受的教育 对于严肃学识更为注重 |
[1:02:49] | Modern languages, classical literature. | 当代语言 古典文学 |
[1:02:51] | I do love to read. | 我喜欢阅读书籍 |
[1:02:55] | You do not seem discomposed by my line of questioning. | 我追问不休 你倒是颇为淡定 |
[1:03:00] | Why ever would I be? | 我为何要慌张? |
[1:03:01] | A man who knows what he wants is most admirable. | 男人知其所好 值得钦佩 |
[1:03:06] | Is your father in attendance? I should like to speak with him. | 令尊今日是否到场?我很想与他交谈 |
[1:03:10] | Sadly, my father died years ago. | 很遗憾 |
[1:03:13] | Ah. | 家父多年前已经亡故 |
[1:03:15] | I’m so sorry. | 抱歉冒犯 |
[1:03:19] | As did mine. | 家父亦是如此 |
[1:03:27] | Though, perhaps you could speak with my sister. | 不过 你可以与我姐姐交谈 |
[1:03:30] | It is her blessing you shall need if we are… | 只有得她赞许 |
[1:03:32] | Oh! Here she is now. | 你我才能…她来了 |
[1:03:34] | – Kate! – Ah, Lord Bridgerton. | -凯特! -布里杰顿大人 |
[1:03:36] | I see you’ve met Miss Edwina. This is… | 看样子你已经见过埃德温娜小姐了 这位是… |
[1:03:38] | Her sister. | 她姐姐 |
[1:03:39] | – Miss Sharma, my lord. – Oh. | 是莎尔玛小姐 大人 |
[1:03:43] | The Viscount Bridgerton is a most excellent dancer. | 布里杰顿子爵舞技出众 |
[1:03:46] | Perhaps I may learn a thing or two from you, my lord. | 也许我也能对你了解一二 大人 |
[1:03:49] | Would you join me in the retiring room, Sister? | 妹妹 随我移步休息室如何? |
[1:03:53] | Is something wrong, Didi? | 姐姐 发生什么事了吗? |
[1:03:55] | You are not to go near that man. Do you understand? | 别靠近那个男人 知道吗? |
[1:04:00] | She is a lovely diamond, dearest. | 多美的钻石淑女啊 亲爱的 |
[1:04:02] | Indeed. | 的确 |
[1:04:05] | She is who I shall marry. | 我要娶的是她 |
[1:04:07] | There are a few things I must make you aware of. | 有几件事你一定要知道 |
[1:04:10] | Color, clarity, carat, cut. | 成色、净度、重量、切工 |
[1:04:14] | At long last, the queen has named her most precious stone. | 王后终于选出了钟爱的宝石 |
[1:04:22] | What is all this? | 这是做什么? |
[1:04:26] | Ma’am. | 夫人 |
[1:04:28] | He is here. | 他来了 |
[1:04:30] | The new Lord Featherington. | 新来的费瑟灵顿大人 |
[1:04:35] | Lady Featherington. | 费瑟灵顿夫人 |
[1:04:37] | That still work if we are not married? | 我们不是夫妻 也能这么叫吗? |
[1:04:40] | It’s rather strange. | 还真怪 |
[1:04:42] | I thought the heir was old. | 我以为继承人已经上了年纪 |
[1:04:44] | – I thought the heir was ugly. – Ladies. | -我以为继承人挺难看 -姑娘们 |
[1:04:47] | It is quite all right. You must mean my father. | 没关系 你们想必指的是我父亲 |
[1:04:49] | And no offense taken. He was ugly. | 我并不介意 他是挺丑的 |
[1:04:51] | And very old. | 年纪一大把 |
[1:04:52] | So old that, well, he died. | 大到命都没了 |
[1:04:56] | I’m terribly sorry for my late arrival. I made the trip from America. | 很抱歉我姗姗来迟 我大老远从美国赶来 |
[1:05:00] | But don’t worry, I’ve started taking care of things. | 不过别担心 我已经着手料理一切了 |
[1:05:02] | Philippa. That must be you. | 菲利帕 肯定就是你了 |
[1:05:05] | Your dowry to that fine Finch fellow is paid. | 你与芬奇成婚的嫁妆已经支付 |
[1:05:07] | The late Lord’s books are on their way to me now. | 已故大人的账本马上就会送来 |
[1:05:09] | And I even took the liberty of having your possessions | 费瑟灵顿夫人 我还自作主张 |
[1:05:11] | moved from your bedchamber, Lady Featherington. | 命人将您卧房的用品搬了出来 |
[1:05:13] | Yes, it’s still strange. | 嗯 叫着还是怪怪的 |
[1:05:15] | You had my possessions moved? | 你让人动我的用品了? |
[1:05:17] | Well, I shall be taking over those rooms, now that the home is mine. | 既然府邸归了我 今后这些屋子也要由我接手 |
[1:05:21] | You understand, yes? | 您也明白 对吧? |
[1:05:23] | It is like you said, Mama. | 妈妈 如您所说 |
[1:05:25] | The new Lord Featherington is here to provide. | 新的费瑟灵顿大人一来 |
[1:05:31] | While this author finds Miss Edwina Sharma | 我们就衣食无忧了 尽管埃德温娜莎尔玛小姐 |
[1:05:34] | to be an exceptional young lady, | 气质出众 |
[1:05:37] | it is about time I used these pages | 笔者仍认为 是时候花些笔墨 |
[1:05:40] | of record for something else. | 另表其它了 |
[1:05:42] | A shift. | 话题略转 |
[1:05:44] | Is the entire practice of naming a diamond not… | 费尽周章挑选钻石淑女 |
[1:05:48] | well, rather ridiculous? | 何尝不显荒唐? |
[1:05:50] | Should a woman not be valued for so much more than her dancing skills | 难道评判女性优点的标准 |
[1:05:55] | or her comportment? | 只有舞技和仪态? |
[1:05:57] | Should we not value a woman instead | 难道不该看重女性的 |
[1:05:59] | for her candor, her character, | 诚实、人品 |
[1:06:02] | her true accomplishments? | 和实力成就吗? |
[1:06:04] | What do you think, Eloise? | 埃洛伊斯 你觉得如何? |
[1:06:06] | I love it. | 甚合我意 |
[1:06:09] | Perhaps if the queen abandoned this absurdity that is the diamond, | 若王后不再执念于什么荒唐宝石 |
[1:06:15] | we would all see that a woman can be so much more. | 一众臣民也能学会欣赏女性的内涵 |
[1:06:20] | What is it, Your Majesty? | 王后陛下 您有何吩咐? |
[1:06:22] | Edwina Sharma. | 埃德温娜莎尔玛 |
[1:06:24] | My diamond. | 我的钻石淑女 |
[1:06:26] | It seems she will need to do more for me this season than simply sparkle. | 看来本季她大放异彩还不够 还要多下点功夫 (谨以此片纪念马克皮尔切) |