时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on “Boston Legal”… | 在上一集的波士顿法律 |
[00:02] | Jerry, you’ve made rather a point of saying | Jerry 你斩钉截铁地说 |
[00:04] | That this is the year that you will make partner. | 你今年会当上合伙人 |
[00:06] | There are many ways of getting that job done, Jerry. | 条条大路通罗马 Jerry |
[00:09] | Prancing around the office as little bo peep | 但是在办公室里活蹦乱跳 |
[00:13] | Is not one of the better ones. | 并不是条光明正道 |
[00:14] | Do you know what happens to lawyers who make partner, Jerry? | 你知道成为律师合伙人后 会有什么下场吗 Jerry |
[00:17] | They become locked-In, lifers. | 他们被羁押起来 判无期徒刑 |
[00:19] | I’m not sure that’s something you want. | 我肯定你可不想要那下场 |
[00:21] | Take off your pants, Denise. | Dnise 脱裤 |
[00:23] | See, you like to talk. I don’t. I like to do. | 你喜欢空谈 我则不然 我喜欢实干 |
[00:28] | Surely you jest. | 你肯定是在开玩笑 |
[00:34] | My god, Denny. Can you believe it? | 天啊 Denny 你相信吗 |
[00:36] | Election day is almost upon us. | 选举日到了 |
[00:39] | You gonna vote? Of course I’m gonna vote. Are you? | 你要投票吗 我当然要啦 你呢 |
[00:42] | Never missed a presidential election. | 从未错过总统选举 |
[00:44] | And I’m usually right, too. | 我通常都对了 |
[00:45] | I’ve been on the winning side 8 times out of the last 11. | 最近11次选举 我投的那边赢了8次 |
[00:49] | That’s impressive. Yeah. | 真是高瞻远瞩 那是 |
[00:51] | Also an uncanny coincidence, | 不过是瞎猫碰上死耗子 |
[00:53] | Since 8 out of the last 11 have also gone republican. | 最经11次选举 共和党赢了8次 |
[00:56] | Do tell. | 有屁快放 Do tell. |
[00:58] | So you just always vote republican? | 你总是投票给共和党吗 |
[01:00] | – I vote my values. – So this week- | – 我投票给我所相信的 – 那本周– |
[01:02] | I thought we weren’t gonna go there. | 我还以为我们不提了呢 |
[01:04] | You’re right. You’re right. | 没错 没错 |
[01:08] | – Alan – Who are you voting- – Alan. | – 你投谁 |
[01:09] | Never mind. I’m not looking to discuss it. | 别介意 我不会八卦的 |
[01:12] | I just… who? | 我只是 谁 |
[01:16] | McCain. | 麦凯恩 |
[01:18] | Seriously? | 真的 |
[01:19] | I’m serious. McCain. | 真的 麦凯恩 |
[01:24] | – Denny- – Alan. | |
[01:25] | You’re right. I’m sorry. | 没错 不好意思 |
[01:27] | – It’s just- – Come on. | – 只是有点 – 拜托 |
[01:28] | – What would possibly possess- – Hey. | – 你怎么会 – 嘿 |
[01:30] | I’m sorry. Forget it. | 不好意思 算了 |
[01:32] | The important thing is that we both vote. | 我们都去投票那才是关键所在 |
[01:36] | That’s right. To voting. | 没错 投票 |
[01:38] | Hear, hear. | 干杯 干杯 |
[01:43] | – It’s just- – Okay, that’s it. | – 只是–有点 – 好了 够了 |
[01:45] | No, no, no, no, no, no. All right, how about this? | 不 不 不 不 不 不 好 不如这样 |
[01:48] | I give you my word, I will not speak. | 我保证 |
[01:50] | I will not open my mouth if you’ll just give me | 如果你给我 |
[01:53] | Two reasons why you’re voting for john McCain-Just two. | 两个选约翰麦凯恩的理由 我就闭口不谈 就两个 |
[01:57] | That’s a discussion. | 那是在讨论 |
[01:58] | No, it’s not. | 不 不是的 |
[02:00] | One person talking does not a discussion make. | 自言自语不叫讨论 |
[02:03] | Just two reasons. I won’t talk. | 就两个理由 我不会说话的 |
[02:07] | Promise. | 我保证 |
[02:10] | Okay. | 好 |
[02:15] | If McCain wins, he’ll help save the salmon. | 一旦麦凯恩赢了 他会拯救三文鱼的 |
[02:18] | – What? – You’re talking. | – 什么 – 你说话了 |
[02:19] | I… | 我… |
[02:21] | The wild salmon stocks in Canada are threatened, | 加拿大的野生三文鱼储量正受到威胁 |
[02:24] | Either by climate change, fish farming, sea lice. | 而其成因是气候变化 渔业和海岸线后退 |
[02:27] | Once the salmon go, there goes half the ecosystem. | 三文鱼一旦绝种 半个生态系统也就瘫痪了 |
[02:30] | I don’t need to tell you. | 我不说你也知道的 |
[02:35] | And, uh, McCain will save them? | 麦凯恩会拯救它们的 |
[02:36] | – Not directly… – Wh- | – 不直接地 – 为什么 |
[02:38] | But the polls show that if McCain wins, | 但民意测试显示 如果麦凯恩当选 |
[02:40] | It’s like a third term of bush. | 这四年就等于是布什的第三任期 |
[02:43] | A lot of Americans will immigrate to Canada, | 很多美国人都移民到加拿大去 |
[02:45] | The smart ones. | 去的都是诸葛亮 |
[02:46] | The intelligence level of Canada goes up, | 加拿大的诸葛亮一多 |
[02:48] | And they’ll figure out how to save the salmon. | 他们就会知道如何拯救三文鱼了 |
[02:53] | And the second reason? | 第二个理由是 |
[02:55] | Women… | 女人… |
[02:57] | Are easier… | 更容易上钓了 |
[02:59] | During a republican administration. | 在共和党执政期间是这样子的 |
[03:01] | It’s a fact. | 事实是这样的 |
[03:02] | During democratic regimes, volunteerism goes up. | 民主党执政期间 志愿者数量节节上升 |
[03:06] | And you get a lot of women running around for this cause or that, | 基于这种或那种理由 女人就开始瞎忙 |
[03:08] | And they start to think that they have something to say. | 然后她们会以为她们该发表意见 |
[03:11] | Republicans tend to reinforce the idea | 共和党趋向于强调 |
[03:13] | That woman’s place is in the home on her back. | 女人就应该呆在家里 躺在床上 |
[03:17] | Now I’m not even taking into account | 我现在都还没算上 |
[03:20] | All the women that’ll be depressed if McCain wins. | 那些如果麦凯恩赢了会郁闷的女人们 |
[03:23] | Sad girls are easy girls. | 伤心的女人更容易上钓 |
[03:26] | I don’t need to tell you. | 我不必说你也知道的 |
[03:28] | They’re vulnerable. | 她们很脆弱的 |
[03:29] | Salmon and women, Alan. | 三文鱼和女人 Alan |
[03:33] | In the end, it’s all about spawning. | 总结来说 都是为了繁衍生息 |
[03:36] | Drill, baby, drill. | 不停”打洞” 不停出宝宝 |
[03:38] | You vote your values. | 我们该为自己的信仰投票 |
[04:18] | I think when you make that decision, | 我在想 当你做那决定时 |
[04:19] | It might be well if you would ask yourself- | 你抚心自问– |
[04:21] | Are you better off than you were four years ago? | 你比四年前过得更好吗 |
[04:26] | Is it easier for you to go | 对你来说 |
[04:27] | – And buy things in a store? – You called? | – 去商店买东西变得更加简便了吗 – 你打电话给我了 |
[04:29] | I did. I have a case I think you’ll enjoy second chairing. | 是的 我有件案子 你会享受在里面当副手的 |
[04:33] | Oh, yes. I so enjoy sitting in a courtroom all day long | 当然 我好享受整天 都坐在法庭里的感觉 |
[04:37] | – While you go on and on and on- – Why are you being? | – 看着你滔滔不绝– – 你怎么这么恶心 |
[04:40] | This happens to be a case you’ll enjoy. | 这件案子恰好是你会享受的 |
[04:42] | In fact, the client is a cattle rancher. | 事实上 当事人是位牛场主 |
[04:44] | So far, so good? | 目前感觉还好吗 |
[04:48] | Will I be allowed to touch her? | 我能摸她吗 |
[04:50] | – The case involves mad cow. – Does she have it? | – 这件案子牵涉到疯牛病 – 她有这个病吗 |
[04:52] | No. | 没 |
[04:53] | ‘Cause that would give us a great deal in common. | 同病相怜会令我们有共同语言的 |
[04:55] | Denny, slow down. | Denny 欲速则不达 |
[04:56] | On her ranch, | 在她农场里 |
[04:57] | They test every cow to screen for mad cow-Every cow. | 他们给每头牛做疯牛病检测 每一头 |
[05:02] | – And? – And now the government won’t let her. | – 然后呢 – 然后政府禁止其行为 |
[05:04] | Why not? | 为什么会禁止呢 |
[05:05] | Well, that’s the question. | 这就是问题了 |
[05:06] | So we’re suing the united states department of agriculture. | 所以我们要控告美国农业部 |
[05:10] | – It’s an excellent cause. – Great. | – 其诉因很有力 – 太好了 |
[05:12] | Hey, Alan. You ready? | 嘿 Alan 准备好了吗 |
[05:15] | Carol, this is Denny crane. | Carol 这是Denny Crane |
[05:16] | He’ll be second chairing. | 我副手 |
[05:18] | It’ll be my mission in life to get you off. | 我人生的使命就是救你出苦海 |
[05:20] | I’m not charged with anything. | 我又没缠上官司 |
[05:21] | Even so, you’re the best client I ever had. | 尽管这样 你是我见过的最好的当事人 |
[05:25] | – When shall I have you? – What is up with this guy? | – 我什么时候才能抓住你的芳心 – 这人有什么毛病 |
[05:28] | He likes to make a good first impression. | 他想给人留下深刻的第一印象 |
[05:30] | Yeah? Well, he’s running out of time. | 是吗 他没有时间了 |
[05:31] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[05:37] | Oh, my god. | 哦 天啊 |
[06:04] | Jerry. | |
[06:05] | Carl. | |
[06:07] | What can I do you for, big guy? | 有什么可以帮忙的 老兄 |
[06:11] | Sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[06:12] | Ever go to the 28th floor? | 去过28楼吗 |
[06:13] | Not if I can help it. | 我倒希望没有 |
[06:15] | Do you know what happens on the 28th floor, Jerry? | 在28楼是干嘛的 你知道吗 Jerry |
[06:17] | I was a tax attorney here for seven years, Carl. | 我在这里做税务律师7年了 Carl |
[06:19] | I’m quite familiar with what goes on there. | 任何风吹草动都逃不过我法眼 |
[06:20] | Hmm. Well, the 28 floor is where the big conference room is, Jerry, | 大型会议室就在28楼 Jerry |
[06:24] | Where they assemble all of the administrative partners. | 所有的行政合伙人都在那里会晤 |
[06:28] | You know who I mean. | 你是知道我意思了吧 |
[06:29] | The ones that have that silly annual meeting | 召开年会 |
[06:31] | Where they decide who makes partner. | 决定谁会是合伙人的地方 |
[06:33] | Yes, Carl, I get it. | 没错 Carl 我知道了 |
[06:38] | Okay. Now I’ve already recommended you. | 好 我已经引荐你了 |
[06:41] | – Whether that’ll be enough- – Will Shirley recommend me? | – 那是否足够 – Shirley会推荐我吗 |
[06:43] | She did, but she’s in Colorado at the moment, | 她推荐了 但她现在在科罗拉多州 |
[06:46] | So she can’t present herself in person. | 所以不能出席会议 |
[06:47] | Why is she in Colorado? | 为什么她去了科罗拉多州 |
[06:48] | We have a… she has a second home there. | 我们有 她在那里有第二个家 |
[06:52] | She figured since Massachusetts is in the bag, | 她想到 既然麻省已经稳操胜券 |
[06:54] | That she should make her vote count. | 那么她应该使得她的一票有价值 |
[06:56] | Colorado is still up for grabs, so she registered to vote there. | 科罗拉多州的形式依然不明 所以她注册了去那里投票 |
[06:59] | A bit odd, isn’t it? | 有点儿奇怪 不是吗 |
[07:00] | Shouldn’t it be about who gets the most votes, | 难道它不应该是谁得到更多的总票数 |
[07:01] | Not which state the vote comes from? | 而非优势州数吗 |
[07:03] | That would be too easy, Katie. | 那就太容易得手了 Katie |
[07:07] | Congratulations, Jerry. | 恭喜 Jerry |
[07:08] | – If I make it. – You’ll make it. It’s your time. | – 如果我大功告成的话 – 你会的 时来运转了 |
[07:16] | You? | 你 |
[07:17] | And what is wrong with me? | 有什么问题 |
[07:19] | Oh, nothing. You seem perfect- | 哦 没事 你看起来完美无瑕 |
[07:21] | As delicious and repressed as ever in your crisply pressed blouse. | 就像以往穿着完美熨烫 的裤装那样倾国倾城 |
[07:26] | Alan. | |
[07:26] | – Denise – Ah. – Denise. | – 啊 |
[07:29] | How’s the baby? | 孩子怎么样了 |
[07:31] | She’s, um, wonderful. | 很好 |
[07:32] | I see you got your figure back. | 我发现你身材回复了 |
[07:34] | I see you’ve kept yours. | 我发现你还是大胖墩 |
[07:36] | – Sex later? – We’ll talk. | – 待会上床 – 待会再说 |
[07:37] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[07:39] | “Docket number 4-7-7-5-6-2- | “诉讼事件表编号 4-7-7-5-6-2– |
[07:42] | – “Hober ranch vs. “… – That was just lawyer banter. | – “Hober农场诉”… – 不过是律师间逢场作戏而已 |
[07:43] | I would never stray on you. | 我不会离你而去的 |
[07:44] | “The united states department of agriculture. “ | “美国农业部” |
[07:47] | Good morning, your honor. | 早上好 法官大人 |
[07:48] | It’s us-Your favorite litigants. We’re back again. | 我们是你最喜欢的诉讼人 我们又见面了 |
[07:50] | I’m sure you’re not surprised. | 我肯定你不会感到惊呀的 |
[07:51] | No, no, I am not, | 不 不 我不会的 |
[07:54] | Especially since, once again, you’re suing the government. | 特别是因为 又一次 你来控告政府 |
[07:58] | – If I had a nickel for every- – How about this? | – 如果每次给我一分钱– – 这个提议怎么样 |
[08:00] | We’ll write you check, you rule in our favor- | 我们给你开支票 你判我们赢– |
[08:03] | It’ll be just like old times. | 一如既往 |
[08:04] | Speaking of old times, look who’s against us. | 说到既往 看看我们的对手是谁 |
[08:07] | Denise Bauer-Here to sweep us off our feet. | Denise Bauer 让我们拜倒在她石榴裙下 |
[08:10] | And check out our client. She sweeps everybody off their feet. | 然后看看我们的当事人 让所有拜倒在她石榴裙下 |
[08:13] | Everywhere you look, it’s sweeps, sweeps, sweeps. | 所见之处皆为石榴裙 |
[08:16] | Do we write that check out to you personally or- | 支票是开给你个人呢 还是– |
[08:20] | What is this stupid case about anyway? | 这起傻案子是关于什么的 |
[08:22] | Judge, I’ll tell you what it’s about. I run a cattle ranch. | 法官 我来告诉你是关于什么的 我经营一家农场 |
[08:26] | I sell beef. I test my cattle for mad cow disease. | 是卖牛肉的 我给牛群做疯牛病检测 |
[08:29] | I test every single animal. | 每一头牛我都做 |
[08:30] | – The government’s put a stop to it. – Why? | – 但政府却禁止此事 – 为什么 |
[08:33] | Why? Because the other meat packers, the bigger ones- | 为什么 因为其他规模更大的肉品企业 |
[08:35] | You know, the ones that have bought and paid | 就是那些 |
[08:37] | For the U.S.D.A.- They don’t want to test every cow. | 和美国农业部有买卖关系的企业 不想给每头牛做检验 |
[08:39] | It’s too expensive, but if they don’t test, | 成本太高 但如果不做检验 |
[08:41] | They’re afraid the consumer won’t buy their meat. | 又恐怕消费者不买他们的肉 |
[08:43] | I’m sorry, your honor, but if she’s going to testify- | 很抱歉 法官阁下 但她要作证的话 |
[08:46] | Oh, sweetie,? | 哦 美女 我没作证 |
[08:47] | But you are, in the narrative, so if you’d like to take | 你有 你在陈述 如果你 |
[08:49] | That chair up there, that’s fine, but I want my licks. | 想上台作证 那好 但我要质证(舔你) |
[08:52] | Take a number. | 你得先排队 |
[08:53] | Hold on! We will conduct an evidentiary hearing, | 且慢 我们会进行证据庭审 |
[08:56] | And we shall conduct it forthwith. | 而且是要立即进行 |
[08:58] | 2:00, right after lunch. Mr. Shore, you can go first, | 两点 午餐过后 Shore先生 你可以走先了 |
[09:02] | And you can put your expert up here. | 你把专家证人放上来就行 |
[09:06] | Chicka-Chicka-Chicka-Chicka- Chicka-Chicka-Choo. | |
[09:08] | Chicka-Chicka-Chicka-Chicka- Chicka-Chicka-Choo. | |
[09:10] | Chicka-Chicka-Chicka-Chicka- Chicka-Chicka-Choo. | |
[09:16] | Katie. Welcome. Hello. | Katie 欢迎 你好 |
[09:17] | Hey. That’s a bit catchy, I must say. | 嘿 我得说 很好听呢 |
[09:22] | It’s kind of a motivational chant, | 是激励的歌儿 |
[09:24] | An “I can do it” sort of thing. | 就像”我行”之类的话而已 |
[09:26] | It’s possible the administrative partners | 有可能行政合伙人 |
[09:28] | Will call me in for an interview, | 会叫我去面试 |
[09:29] | So I want to be ready. | 所以我要做好准备 |
[09:31] | Ah. Jerry, they’ve called me. | Jerry 他们叫我了 |
[09:35] | You? Why? | 你 为什么 |
[09:37] | I can’t imagine. | 不得而知 |
[09:38] | I shouldn’t think it’s because I’m being considered for partnership. | 不会是因为考虑我为合伙人 |
[09:42] | I suspect they’re asking me to proffer testimony of sorts on you. | 我怀疑他们想叫我讲些关于你的情况 |
[09:46] | Oh. Well… what will you say? | 你会说什么 |
[09:50] | Well, only wonderful things of course. | 当然都是好的方面了 |
[09:53] | I’ll tell them you’re a very dear man | 我会告诉他们 你是个大好人 |
[09:55] | Who pops and purrs and chicka-Chicka-Choos | 嘴里叽里呱啦的 |
[09:57] | With the best and the brightest. | 还说得余音绕梁 |
[09:59] | Only wonderful things, I promise. | 只是好的方面啦 我保证 |
[10:06] | I’ve been waiting for this, Katie. | Katie 我在等的就是它 |
[10:08] | When I came back to this firm, | 我重回这件律所 |
[10:10] | It was mainly for this- | 为的主要就是它 |
[10:12] | To get something I was denied the first time, | 得到我第一次被拒绝的东西 |
[10:17] | Something I so rightly deserved, | 我应得的东西 |
[10:21] | Something I was gypped out of because… | 一些我被骗走的东西 因为… |
[10:26] | Listen to me, I sound like Hillary. | 我的话听起来就像希拉里 |
[10:42] | First of all, we have no real way of knowing | 第一 我们无法确切知道 |
[10:45] | How widespread mad cow disease is among humans. | 有多少人感染了疯牛病 |
[10:47] | The symptoms are similar to Alzheimer’s, | 其症状跟老年痴呆症一模一样 |
[10:49] | – So the diagnosis- – Objection. | – 其诊断– – 反对 |
[10:50] | Your honor, the witness is not competent | 法官阁下 这位证人无法 |
[10:52] | – To offer a medical opinion. – It’s a lay opinion. | – 提供医学判断 – 这是个常理 |
[10:55] | This is common knowledge that’s out there. | 这是家喻户晓的常识 |
[10:57] | We don’t know, so why not be safe? | 我们不清楚 所以为什么不以安全第一呢 |
[10:59] | That’s the policy at my ranch. | 那是我们农场的政策 |
[11:00] | We want to test every cow so we can be safe. | 我们要给每头牛做检验来保证我们的安全 |
[11:03] | How dare the federal government say I can’t do so? | 联邦政府好大胆子 敢说我们不能这样做 |
[11:06] | Ms. Hober, I think the government would argue | Hober小姐 政府会争论道 |
[11:08] | That the testing of every cow isn’t necessary since you- | 给每头牛做检验是画蛇添足 因为你 |
[11:10] | So what? | 那又怎么样 |
[11:11] | Why should they prohibit us from doing so | 为什么他们禁止我们这样做 |
[11:13] | If we’re willing to bear the expense? | 如果我们愿意承担费用 |
[11:15] | – It’s ludicrous. – Ms. Hober. | – 真是贻笑大方 – Hober小姐 |
[11:17] | Oh, look, even if you think our testing is overkill, | 尽管你认为我们的检测是画蛇添足 |
[11:19] | I repeat, so what? | 我重复 那又怎么了 |
[11:21] | The U.S.D.A. Testing requirements are pathetic. | 美国农业部的检测方式太可笑了 |
[11:23] | Why? | 为什么 |
[11:24] | Let me put it this way- Right now, | 我这样说吧 现在 |
[11:26] | Slaughterhouses can pick which cow they choose to test. | 屠宰场来决定哪头牛要做检测 |
[11:29] | It’s voluntary. So basically, they can cherry-Pick | 其选择是自主性的 所以基本上它们都是讲过精心挑选的 |
[11:31] | The ones that look healthy, which is exactly what they do. | 龙精虎猛的的 才是他们要的 |
[11:33] | If one looks sick, you think they’re gonna test that one | 如果它精神萎靡 你认为他们会给那头做检验吗 |
[11:35] | And risk getting their plant shut down? It’s a joke. | 你认为他们会冒工厂倒闭 的风险吗 真是贻笑大方 |
[11:38] | The last study showed that fewer than one in one million adult cattle | 最新资料显示 少于十万分之一的成年牛 |
[11:42] | Were affected with mad cow disease- | 受疯牛病感染 |
[11:43] | And that would if you ate the bad burger? | 那么如果你品尝了有问题的汉堡后 你这么想能感觉好点吗 |
[11:47] | I want to make sure none of mine are infected. | 我要保证没有人受到感染 |
[11:49] | And by the way, | 顺便说句 |
[11:50] | 95% of people are willing to pay the extra cost for that guarantee. | 95%的人为了保证健康 心甘情愿地支付额外成本 |
[11:54] | So why won’t the government let me? | 为什么政府不允许我们呢 |
[11:56] | Yes, I believe you’ve made? | 对 我相信你已经说明了这点了 |
[11:58] | Well, why don’t I make another point, okay? | 为什么我不再讲讲另外一点呢 好吗 |
[12:01] | Maybe meat packers could make more money if they did test, | 如果他们做检测的话 也许肉品企业会获得更多利润的 |
[12:04] | Because right now, there are 65 countries | 因为目前有65个国家 |
[12:06] | That restrict imported u. S. Meat | 反对进口美国牛肉 |
[12:08] | Because the testing is so inadequate. | 都拜检测工作不满足要求所赐 |
[12:11] | Ah, so now you want to tell them how to run their business? | 你在教他们如何管理吗 |
[12:14] | How about they not tell me how to run mine? | 不如叫他们别教我如何管理吧 |
[12:16] | I mean, what is up with the department of agriculture? | 我是说 农业部干嘛了 |
[12:18] | Would somebody please fill me in? | 能不能来个人和我说说? |
[12:20] | Besides maybe some giant bribe job? | 除了其中的严重职务行贿 |
[12:22] | Oh, all right. | 够了 |
[12:29] | Try to be as unbiased as possible. | 尽量公平 |
[12:30] | If you speak as a loyal friend, you’ll be less persuasive. | 如果你以死党的语气说话 你的说服力会大打折扣的 |
[12:33] | – Just stay objective… – Okay. | – 保持客观… – 好 |
[12:35] | – And respectful. – Unbiased, objective, respectful-Got it. | – 有礼 – 公正 客观 有礼 都铭记在心了 |
[12:38] | Now we’re not so much interested in old history. | 现在我们既往不咎 |
[12:41] | Most of us are fairly caught up to the point | 我们都清楚 |
[12:44] | Where he attacked Shirley Schmidt with a knife. | 他曾持刀袭击Shireley |
[12:46] | He’s been doing much better of late. | 他事后变乖了 |
[12:49] | Yes, and we see that he’s had an excellent track record as a litigator. | 没错 我们知道 作为一名律师 其工作记录良好 |
[12:53] | Carl sack and Shirley Schmidt have spoken highly. | Carl Sack和Shireley Schmidt 对他赞不绝口 |
[12:57] | But, Katie… Jerry has remained fairly segregated | 但是Katie…Jerry一直很孤僻 |
[13:01] | From almost everybody but you. | 除了你之外的人很自闭 |
[13:03] | As you know, part of being a partner is people skills. | 你知道 从某种意义上来说 作为合伙人 要求良好的与人交往的能力 |
[13:07] | Jerry’s are fine. | Jerry没问题的 |
[13:09] | He may startle people at first with his various ticks, | 一开始 他的小动作也许会使人不安 |
[13:12] | But anyone that spends more than a minute with him knows him to be a man | 但和他呆久了就知道他是个 |
[13:15] | Of exemplary warmth and intelligence. | 热心而聪明的人 |
[13:18] | – Does he date? – Is that relevant? | – 他和女人约会吗 – 这有什么关系 |
[13:20] | Well, not necessarily, but we’re told | 没关系 但是我们得知 |
[13:22] | He was with a woman last year who left him for an iphone. | 去年他和一个女人好上了 但她为了一台Iphone而离他而去 |
[13:25] | That spoke more to her character flaws than his. | 这应该是说明了那个女子的人格缺点吧 |
[13:28] | We’re told he’s had a relationship with an inanimate doll. | 我们得知 他和一个玩具娃娃有段风流史 |
[13:32] | Uh, that was a prop of sorts, | 那是道具来的 |
[13:34] | For him to develop intimacy skills with women, | 是为了帮他改善与女孩相处的技巧 |
[13:36] | Which skills have improved. He no longer sees the doll. | 而他的技巧得到了改善 他不需要那娃娃了 |
[13:40] | Why is it he walks around with his hands glued to his thighs? | 为什么他走路时双手要贴着大腿呢 |
[13:43] | Jerry has asperser’s syndrome. His ha- | Jerry患有艾斯伯格综合症 他的手 |
[13:45] | I’m not quite comfortable with the tenor of these questions. | 我对这些问题的主旨感到不是很舒服 |
[13:48] | If the purpose of this interview is to characterize Jerry | 如果这次见面的目的 是把Jerry刻画成 |
[13:51] | As some sort of weirdo who- | 个怪人之类的 |
[13:52] | Katie, it’s not that at all. It’s just- | Katie 不是那样的 只是 |
[13:54] | Just what? Jerry has various quirks and manners. | 只是什么 Jerry有各种怪癖和小动作 |
[13:59] | That makes him a bit different. He’s not odd. He is not weird. | 而使得他与众不同 他不是怪人也不是傻瓜 |
[14:02] | I should think you’d be privileged to have him. | 你们应该网开一面 |
[14:04] | A partnership from employment, Ms. Lloyd. | Lloyd小姐 合伙关系和雇佣关系 是大相径庭的 |
[14:06] | It’s not just about his lawyering skills | 它不仅仅是讲究其职业技能 |
[14:09] | Or whether he’s a warm person. | 或者他是否是个热心人 |
[14:10] | It’s about how well he fits in with the group. | 而是讲究他如何良好地融入这个团体 |
[14:13] | Will we feel comfortable with each other? | 我们之间会感到融洽吗 |
[14:15] | Will he blend in with others? Will he- | 他能融入到我们中吗 他能 |
[14:17] | Is that why I see? | 那就是我在这儿没看到任何黑人的原因了? |
[14:21] | That was an inappropriate remark, Katie. | 你的评论不太得体 Kaite |
[14:24] | Well, it’s just when I hear, | 只是当我听到 |
[14:26] | “Who we’ll feel comfortable with,” | “会与我们相处融洽” |
[14:27] | It brings up ugly overtones. | 我就感觉到其中丑陋的暗示 |
[14:30] | When I look and see an old white establishment in this room | 当我看到这间房子里的白人组织 |
[14:33] | And hear terms like “fitting in,” it sounds a bit frightening. | 听到类如”融入”这样的字眼 我感到有点害怕 |
[14:37] | Jerry Espenson could quite bring something to this table | Jerry Espenson可能会带一些东西到这里 |
[14:39] | That might be lacking, better yet, needed. | 那可能是这里缺少的 甚至是需要的 |
[14:41] | I realize I’m British and might sound like | 我意识到 我是英国人 也许听起来 |
[14:43] | A bit of a bigot when I say this, | 有点偏执 当我说那些话的时候 |
[14:45] | But why are Americans so bloody committed to | 但为什么美国人在一切都正分崩离析的时候 |
[14:47] | The past or the present when everything is falling apart? | 还偏执于过去或者现在呢 |
[14:51] | You’re all making less money, | 你们的收入在下降 |
[14:52] | Your reputation and status continues to plunge | 不管在国内还是在国外的法学院 |
[14:55] | Among law schools both here and abroad, | 你们的名声和地位日渐低迷 |
[14:57] | And yet, you’re afraid of change? | 可是 你们还是害怕改革 |
[14:59] | You don’t need to get? | 你没必要如此生气 |
[15:01] | Maybe I do. | 也许我是的 |
[15:02] | I was recruited to this firm with various promises | 我被这家律所招进来时 是带着各种 |
[15:05] | Of progressiveness and tolerance. | 进步和容忍的承诺的进来的 |
[15:07] | It a bit demoralizing to see, behind all the talk, | 这实在令人沮丧 看到尽管泛泛其谈 |
[15:09] | The same old’ white boys’ club plans to do business as usual. | 到最后还是同样的白人老家伙们 和以前一样把持朝政 |
[15:13] | I smell discrimination in the dusty air, | 我闻到空气中弥漫着歧视的气息 |
[15:15] | And I’m not just annoyed, I’m a bit appalled. | 我不但感到烦恼 还感到害怕 |
[15:32] | Objective and respectful! | 客观并有礼 |
[15:34] | Which part of that little diatribe- | 谩骂中的哪一部分 |
[15:35] | – I’m sorry, but when I hear- – Apologize to Jerry. | – 很抱歉 但是当我听到– – 对Jerry说抱歉吧 |
[15:38] | He’s the one you screwed, not me. | 你害了的人是Jerry 不是我 |
[15:40] | What’s going on? | 什么事 |
[15:42] | What happened? | 发生什么事情了 |
[15:45] | I got a little cross with the administrative partners. | 我对行政合伙人们吵了两句 |
[15:48] | It did not go well, Jerry. | 她的面谈不是很成功 Jerry |
[15:51] | Oh. | 哦 |
[15:53] | Am I out? | 我没戏了吗 |
[15:54] | Uh, they want to meet with you. | 他们要见你 |
[15:56] | Jerry, it’s very important that you come off | Jerry 你表现得 |
[15:58] | As reasonable, thoughtful, | 合乎常理 深思熟虑很重要 |
[16:00] | As opposed to a pit bull with the lipstick. | 别和那个穿了裙子的蛮牛一样 (此处为意译 请勿挑字眼) |
[16:04] | Whatever they ask, simply respect the question, | 无论他们问什么 只管礼貌地回答就是了 |
[16:07] | Not to mention the person asking it. | 更别说礼貌得对待问的那个人 |
[16:08] | And then provide a sound, deliberate answer. Basically, | 回答问题要论据充足 并经过深思熟虑 基本上 |
[16:11] | I’m telling you the same thing I so wish I had told Katie. | 我真希望和你说的这些话 当时都和Katie说一下 |
[16:21] | I’m so sorry, Jerry. | 很抱歉 Jerry |
[16:24] | I don’t think it went as badly as Carl suggests, | 我想事情不会像Carl说的那样糟 |
[16:26] | But… I did get cross with them. | 但是 我和他们吵开了 |
[16:30] | What happened? | 发生什么事情了 |
[16:31] | Well, the questions implied that you were… | 他们的问题暗示你 |
[16:34] | Socially challenged, | 有社交问题 |
[16:36] | And I’m afraid I took offense. | 所以我非常气愤于他们的无理 |
[16:47] | Well, first of all, | 首先而言 |
[16:48] | Testing can’t detect mad cow disease | 疯牛病检测得 |
[16:50] | Until shortly before the cow develops symptoms. | 到牛快发病时进行才有效 |
[16:52] | So… | 那么 |
[16:53] | Well, cattle are typically slaughtered between 18 and 24 months of age, | 牛大部分在18至24个月大时被屠宰 |
[16:57] | And that’s typically long before the disease is detectable. | 此种年龄的牛通常根本不会显示任何病症 |
[17:00] | Look, all this talk about testing, testing, testing- | 大家老是说 检测 检测 检测 |
[17:02] | The reality is, testing can’t make a difference. | 事实上 检测于事无补 |
[17:05] | So then why bother with testing at all, Mr. Beavis? | 那为什么还要检测呢 Beavis先生 |
[17:08] | Well, I suppose if it’s even possible it could help… | 我甚至不大相信这能够… |
[17:12] | Uh, and let’s face it, the public wants to feel safe. | 开门见山地讲 公众要感到安全 |
[17:15] | So if testing gives them some confidence in the meat industry, | 在肉品行业 如果检测能带给他们信心 |
[17:19] | That’s a good thing. | 那是好事情 |
[17:21] | Okay, even if it’s only possible that testing could help, | 好 即使检测只是可能有作用 |
[17:24] | Even if it only provides a- A psyclogical lift, | 即使它只带来心理上的安全 |
[17:28] | What grounds do you have for stopping my client from testing? | 你凭什么禁止我的当事人做检测 |
[17:31] | I’ll tell you the grounds, wise guy. | 我告诉你理由 自大狂 |
[17:33] | – Wise guy? – When she advertises | -自大狂 -他在广告中 |
[17:35] | That she tests every single one of her cows, | 声称她检测每一头牛 |
[17:38] | But she’s the only one who does so… | 但只此一家 |
[17:39] | Which is the truth. | 而事实上 确实如此 |
[17:40] | She implies that her meat is safe, and that other meat isn’t, | 她在暗示 她的牛肉是安全的 而别的则不是 |
[17:43] | And that is bad for the industry. | 上述所为危害行业发展 |
[17:44] | Yeah, but you didn’t ban the advertising, Mr. Beavis. | 但是你没有禁止广告啊 Beavis先生 |
[17:47] | Or is it butt-Head? You banned the actual testing itself. | 或者说傻帽 你是禁止检测本身而已 |
[17:50] | And by the way, when did it become the goal | 顺便说句 保护肉品行业什么时候 |
[17:53] | Of the department of agriculture to protect the meat industry? | 成为农业部的目的所在了 |
[17:56] | I always thought it was to safeguard the public, | 我总以为它要保护的是公众 |
[17:58] | – Alan – But then again, I’m a wise guy. – Alan. | – 但再说一次 我是自大狂 |
[18:00] | This disease kills, not just the cows, but people. | 疯牛病残害的不仅仅是牛群 还有人类 |
[18:02] | Have you ever had somebody you love die of mad cow? | 你所爱的人中有谁死于疯牛病吗 |
[18:05] | No, and I’ll bet neither have you. | 还没 我敢打赌 你也没有 |
[18:07] | It may very well be that somebody I love… | 极有可能是一个我所深爱的人 |
[18:13] | There could be many, many people out there | 可能很多 |
[18:16] | Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s that, in fact, ate bad beef. | 被诊断为老年痴呆症的人 是因为吃了有问题的牛肉 |
[18:20] | Look, if you say that outside this court, | 如果你敢在法庭之外说这话 |
[18:22] | You’re gonna get your ass sued. | 我们会告惨你 |
[18:24] | I mean, do you think you’re bigger than Oprah? | 我是说 你觉得自己比奥普拉还牛吗? |
[18:25] | If you want to sue me,? | 你想告我 尽管来 |
[18:26] | It won’t be me. It’ll be the American cattle association. | 不是我 是美国家畜协会 |
[18:29] | Same thing, though- American cattle, department of agriculture. | 一样啊 美国家畜 也是农业部的 |
[18:32] | – Objection. – And what’s with you? | -反对 -你搞什么? |
[18:33] | I never object to you. In fact, I quite approve- | 我从没反对过你 实际上 我还很支持… |
[18:35] | -Alan – Alan. – Why can’t she test her cows? | -为什么她不能给她的牛做测试? |
[18:38] | What’s the federal government trying to hide? | 联邦政府到底想隐瞒什么? |
[18:40] | Alan, it’s not fair. | Alan 这不公平 |
[18:41] | Just because you’re in front of a judge who’s afraid of you | 就算你面前有个怕你的法官 |
[18:43] | Doesn’t give you the right to exploit the situation. | 你也不能利用这点占便宜 |
[18:45] | Who says I’m afraid of him? | 谁说我怕他了 |
[18:47] | Uh, he does. Uh, he used to say it to me all the time. | 他说的 厄 他以前老对我这么说 |
[18:51] | If you rant long enough, judge brown will cower. | 如果你够气势汹汹 那Brown法官就会畏缩 |
[18:54] | Um, namby-Pamby, I believe, | 厄 软骨头 我相信… |
[18:56] | – Oh, judge, I never said- – Is the word he used. | – 法官大人 我从没这么说过… – 他就是这么说的 |
[18:57] | – How dare you? – She’s making that up. | – 你吃了熊心豹子胆了? – 她胡编乱造 |
[18:59] | No, I’m not. | 不 我没有 |
[19:00] | – Yes- – Silence! We’ll see who’s afraid. | – 有… – 安静! 我们看看谁怕谁 |
[19:03] | – It’s me. I’m afraid. – Silence. | – 是我 我怕了 – 安静 |
[19:08] | You lied. | 你撒谎 |
[19:09] | Did I? Oh, I’m sorry. | 有吗? 啊 抱歉了 |
[19:19] | Well, that was a sneaky move by Denise. | Densie玩暗箭伤人 |
[19:22] | Sneaky, unscrupulous, crafty… | 阴险 无耻 狡猾 |
[19:25] | – Worthy of us. – Exactly. | – 配得上我们 – 没错 |
[19:28] | She’s deliberately trying to fluster me. | 她是故意乱我阵脚 |
[19:33] | – Ask her how brad is. – What? | – 向她问候Brad – 什么? |
[19:35] | She was never really in love with brad. We bo know that. | 她从没真正爱过Brad 我们都知道 |
[19:39] | She got pregnant with his kid, | 她怀了他的孩子 |
[19:41] | So they pretended to love each other, got married. | 所以他们假装相爱 结婚 |
[19:45] | Ask her how brad is. | 向她问候Brad |
[19:46] | I’ll bet that puts her on tilt. | 我打赌这一定能让她手足无措 |
[19:51] | Denny, that’s genius. | Denny 这太天才了 |
[19:52] | Of course it is. I know how to make women crazy. | 那是当然 我知道怎么让女人抓狂 |
[19:56] | I just can’t seem to make them crazy over me. | 我只是似乎不能让她们为我疯狂 |
[20:00] | No progress with carol? | 和Carol没有进展吗? |
[20:02] | Nah, none. | 不 没有 |
[20:03] | You know, Denny, you’ll never win her heart | 你瞧 Denny 明天投票让 “George Bush”再干个四年 |
[20:05] | By voting for four more years of George bush tomorrow. | 你就永远也赢不了她的芳心 |
[20:07] | -Denny Denny – Here we go. I’m outta here. – Denny. Denny. | -又来了 我走了 |
[20:12] | Just think about that. | 你想想吧 |
[20:14] | You know what your problem is? | 你知道自己的问题所在吗? |
[20:15] | You expect people to think about things first. | 你指望别人先去思考 |
[20:17] | In politics, you go with your gut, what feels good. | 在政治上 你要跟着感觉走 只选感觉对的 |
[20:19] | You don’t blink, you don’t think, you don’t hesitate. | 不眨眼 不去想 不犹豫 |
[20:23] | You hesitate, your enemies think you’re weak. | 你一犹豫 你的敌人就当你是软蛋 |
[20:24] | When will you stupid democrats ever learn? | 你们这群愚蠢的民主党什么时候能学会? |
[20:27] | It’s no wonder you never win. | 怪不得你们总输 |
[20:47] | No promises, but I might be able to get them | 不做保证 但是我或许可以让他们 |
[20:49] | To wiggle on the testing ban if you agree not to advertise. | 把禁检令松动一下 只要你同意不做广告 |
[20:53] | Now how stupid is that? | 真是蠢 |
[20:54] | One of the reasons I spend the extra money | 我花这笔额外费用的原因之一 |
[20:56] | Is so I can say to the consumer, “we test every cow. “ | 就是为了能对消费者说 “我们检测了每头牛” |
[20:59] | Well, I’m sorry, but that sends the message | 那抱歉了 这会传达出这样的信息 |
[21:01] | That the meat industry as a whole isn’t safe. | 整个肉品行业不安全 |
[21:03] | It isn’t. | 是不安全 |
[21:04] | – Look- – No, you look. | -瞧 -不 你瞧 |
[21:05] | If you’re so concerned about the meat industry, | 如果你那么关心肉品行业 |
[21:07] | Get them to test. | 让他们去做检测吧 |
[21:08] | Alan, you mind controlling your client? | Alan 你介意控制一下你的委托人吗? |
[21:13] | Brad. | |
[21:15] | What? | 什么? |
[21:16] | How’s brad? | Brad好吗? |
[21:18] | You know how I love to travel. | 你知道我有多喜欢旅行 |
[21:20] | I know brad likes to travel. | 我知道Brad喜欢旅行 |
[21:21] | I suddenly found myself fantasizing | 我突然开始想象 |
[21:23] | About all the places he gets to go- | 所有他会去的地方… |
[21:25] | Tropical, moist, exotic places I’ve always so yearned to visit. | 热带潮湿的充满异国情调的 (热情的 湿润的 不同寻常的) 我一直想去的地方 |
[21:32] | You’re disgusting. | 你真恶心 |
[21:33] | But you knew that. | 但你知道 |
[21:35] | You haven’t answered my question. | 你没回答我的问题 |
[21:36] | – What question? – How’s brad? | -什么问题 -Brad好吗? |
[21:38] | Brad’s gone. We’re not together. | Brad走了 我们不在一起了 |
[21:39] | Can we move on? | 我们能继续了吗? |
[21:43] | – Hmm. – I’m sorry, | – 嗯 – 抱歉 |
[21:45] | But what is it with you demented people? | 你们这些疯子怎么了? |
[21:47] | It’s how we practice law. | 我们就是这么司法实践的 |
[21:48] | Look, I am not agreeing not to advertise. | 瞧 我不同意不登广告 |
[21:52] | – Then we don’t settle. – Fine. | – 那我们和解不了了 – 好 |
[21:55] | You look sad. Maybe you shouldn’t be alone. | 你好伤心 或许不该一个人 |
[21:58] | Back off, fat boy. | 退后 死胖子 |
[22:02] | Are you getting a divorce? | 你们准备离婚了? |
[22:04] | Yep. | 是的 |
[22:05] | It didn’t work out. | 没戏了 |
[22:09] | Denise, I’m sorry. | Denise 很遗憾 |
[22:15] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[22:53] | Hello. Welcome. | 你们好 欢迎 |
[22:54] | How are you, Jerry? | 你好吗 Jerry |
[22:55] | Oh, I’m splendid. | 啊 我好极了 |
[22:58] | A little fraught. | 有一点紧张 |
[23:00] | Jerry, let me first say that we are all agreed here | Jerry 让我先说一下 在座的都同意 |
[23:02] | That we think you’ve been doing a splendid job. | 你出色地完成了工作 |
[23:06] | That being said, however, | 但还是得说 |
[23:07] | There are some concerns regarding your social skills. | 我们有些担心你的交际能力 |
[23:11] | Yes, I understand. I think I’ve made progress in that area. | 是的 我明白 我想在那块上我已经有所进步 |
[23:14] | Thank you. Welcome. | 谢谢 欢迎 |
[23:17] | Well, well, well. What do we have here? | 啊 啊 啊 大家在这里干什么? |
[23:21] | Denny Cran glad to see you. | Denny Cran 很高兴见到你 |
[23:24] | Big firm meeting, didn’t invite me? | 公司大会 怎么没请我? |
[23:26] | Denny, this is an administrative- | Denny 这是管理层… |
[23:28] | Hey, Paul, I know what this is. | 嘿 Paul 我知道是什么 |
[23:31] | Let me save you some time. | 让我给你们省点时间 |
[23:33] | See this? This is me, Denny crane- | 瞧见了没 这是我 Denny Crane… |
[23:35] | Founding partner of Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | Crane Poole & Schmidt的创办者 |
[23:37] | Look around the room, I don’t see a Poole. | 环顾房间 我没看到Poole |
[23:40] | Don’t see a Schmidt. I see this-A crane. | 没看到Schmidt 我看见了一个Crane |
[23:43] | Bottom line- | 底线是… |
[23:45] | This man makes partner, | 要么让这个人成为合伙人 |
[23:47] | Or I walk and take my name off the door with me. | 要么我抹去门上我的名字走人 |
[23:50] | Comprende? Parlez-Vous? | 懂不懂(西班牙语)?和你说了(法语) |
[23:52] | Sprechen sie deutsch? | 会德语吗(德语)? |
[24:01] | Denny crane. Have a good day. | Denny crane 大家过得愉快 |
[24:08] | Well… | 嗯… |
[24:09] | One might think that that would carry the day, | 或许有人觉得就这么定了 |
[24:13] | But one would be wrong. | 但那是错的 |
[24:15] | Denny doesn’t carry | 就算投票表决 |
[24:17] | Even a plurality equitable interest. | Denny也没有发言权 |
[24:19] | Come on, Paul. | 拜托 Paul |
[24:20] | Crane Poole & Schmidt The name of the firm is crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 这间事务所的名字是 |
[24:23] | Denny crane has become a liability of late, Carl. | Denny Crane最近已经成了累赘 Carl |
[24:27] | He may have just given us the perfect way to finally unload him. | 他或许给了我们一个最好的甩掉他的理由 |
[24:29] | If Denny goes, I go. | 如果Denny走了 我也走 |
[24:32] | That’s very admirable, Mr. Espenson, | 值得称赞 Espenson先生 |
[24:33] | But I really don’t think you’re well-Situated to be issuing ultimatums. | 不过我想你没有立场下这个最后通牒 |
[24:37] | It’s not an ultimatum, it’s a fact. | 这不是最后通牒 这是事实 |
[24:39] | If he walks, I walk. Alan shore might, too. | 如果他走了 我就走 Alan Shore或许也会走 |
[24:42] | Maybe even Carl. Who knows? We could do a spin-Off. | 甚至是Carl 谁知道呢? 我们可以另找东家 |
[24:44] | Don’t think we haven’t been approached already. | 别以为没人来挖我们 |
[24:46] | Hell, it’s not like you want the bunch of us anyway. | 反正你们也不像是要我们这堆人 |
[24:48] | – Jerry – The network sure doesn’t. – Jerry. | – 电视台肯定不要 |
[24:52] | I apologize. | 对不起 |
[24:54] | Hmm, I do retreat into… | 厄 我会用 |
[24:58] | Well, a wooden cigarette | 木头雪茄做掩护 |
[25:01] | When I feel insecure, | 当我觉得不安时 |
[25:03] | Which I feel a lot, admittedly. | 坦白地说 我很不安 |
[25:06] | I realize that alone might disqualify me | 我知道光这一条就能取消我 |
[25:09] | As partnership material. | 作为合伙人的资格 |
[25:11] | But might I say… | 但请允许我说… |
[25:14] | In an arena where cutthroat is goo | 在角斗场上 凶残是好样的 |
[25:17] | Where a “take no prisoners, eat your young” mentality | 当血腥残暴的观念 (不留俘虏 以幼子为食) |
[25:21] | So often prevails, | 如此盛行 |
[25:23] | It might be nice for a law firm to include somebody | 或许一家律师事务所内有人 |
[25:26] | Who treats others with selflessness and kindness, | 能用无私 善良 正直对待他人 |
[25:29] | Virtues perhaps more noble than unilateralism | 而不是以单边主义和虚张声势决定一些 |
[25:34] | And tough-Guy bravado. | 这样或许会更好些吧 |
[25:36] | Maybe it’s time for you to start looking for somebody | 或许是时候你们去找一位 |
[25:40] | Who can embrace values like… | 能有这些品德的人… |
[25:46] | Humility, graciousness, | 谦逊 善良 |
[25:50] | Compassion, | 有同情心 |
[25:52] | All tempered with intelligence. | 理智行事 |
[25:56] | Maybe the bullying days are over. | 或许恃强凌弱的时代已经结束了 |
[26:26] | – All set? – For what? | – 准备好了吗? – 什么? |
[26:28] | We gotta go vote, man. The polls close in a few hours. | 我们要去投票 伙计 选举几个小时后就要结束了 |
[26:31] | They’re open till 8:00. | 他们八点才结束呢 |
[26:32] | – We gotta get back to court soon. – Let’s not wait too long. | – 我们马上就得回法庭 – 希望不用等太久 |
[26:35] | Denny, are you really gonna vote for McCain? | Denny 你真要投票给麦凯恩? |
[26:38] | I thought we said we weren’t gonna discuss this. | 我以为我们不会再谈起了 |
[26:40] | Well, I want to discuss it, damn it. | 我想谈谈 该死的 |
[26:41] | – The consequences are too big. – Bigger than our friendship? | -后果太严重 -比我们的友谊还重要? |
[26:44] | You know what? Yes. | 你知道吗 是的 |
[26:47] | ) Why are you voting for john McCain? | 你为什么要投给约翰 麦凯恩 |
[26:49] | And don’t tell me salmon and sex. | 别再说是三文鱼和做爱 |
[26:51] | I want a real answer. | 我要真正的答案 |
[26:55] | All right. | 好吧 |
[26:59] | – Taxes- Obama’s gonna raise ’em. – Of course. | -税金 奥巴马会增收 -当然 |
[27:00] | – I don’t want to- – No, he won’t. That’s a blatant lie. | – 我不想 – 不 他不会 这是无耻的谎言 |
[27:03] | Obama plans to raise taxes only for the rich, | Obama计划只提高富人的税收 |
[27:06] | Those earning over $250,000 a year. | 那些年收入超过25万美元的人 |
[27:08] | You know what your problem is? | 你知道你有什么问题吗? |
[27:10] | Yeah, a collapsing economy, two wars- | 知道 崩溃的经济 两场战争… |
[27:12] | No. | 不 |
[27:13] | Democrats don’t know how to win. Republicans do. | 民主党不知道怎么赢 共和党知道 |
[27:17] | Maybe instead of so smugly celebrating the fact | 或许除了沾沾自喜于 |
[27:20] | That republicans know how to win, | 共和党知道如何取胜 |
[27:22] | Might you be the least bit disgusted | 你最起码会作恶于 |
[27:24] | At the tactics they resort to… | 他们采用的手段 |
[27:25] | – Oh, please. – The despicable pandering, | -啊 得了 -无耻的迎合 |
[27:27] | Like supporting gas tax holidays | 象是支持燃油税假期 (在战争纪念日及劳动节降低汽油柴油税) |
[27:29] | Or cozying up to the evangelicals | 或是奉承福音派教徒 |
[27:32] | Or the most egregious example | 我所记得的最坏的一个 |
[27:34] | Of political pandering in memory- | 政治皮条客的例子就是 |
[27:35] | John McCain’s choice of running mate? | 约翰麦凯恩对竞选伙伴的选择 |
[27:37] | Well, at least she’s run something. | 起码她管过些东西 |
[27:40] | … A town called Wasilla, which she left in debt- | 在她欠着债离开的一个叫Wasilla的小镇 |
[27:43] | She had executive experience, including foreign policy. | 她有管理经验 包括外交政策 |
[27:46] | Foreign policy? What, she can see Russia on a clear day? | 外交政策? 什么 就是她能在大晴天里看到俄罗斯? |
[27:49] | – Can she spell Russia? – She’s just as qualified as… | -她能拼出”俄罗斯”吗? -她的能力和… |
[27:52] | – Denny… – Denny… – As, uh- | – 和..厄… |
[27:52] | She couldn’t name any newspapers she read | 她连自己看过的报纸都说不出 |
[27:55] | – Or supreme court decisions- – Gotcha journalism. It was the network- | – 也说不出高院的决定 – 以揭人短处的新闻行为 这是电视网 |
[27:57] | Gotcha journalism? Naming a supreme court case? | 揭人短处? 让她说个高院的案子? |
[28:00] | Look, this isn’t about Palin. | 瞧 这和佩林无关 |
[28:01] | – It’s about McCain. – Okay, well, what if he dies? | – 是在说麦凯恩 – 好吧 那要是他死了呢? |
[28:04] | – Who? – McCain! | – 谁? – 麦凯恩! |
[28:06] | Of the last 19 administrations, almost half- | 最近19个政府 几乎半数… |
[28:10] | Half-Have had situations where the vice president had to assume | 半数…出现过需要副总统去承担总统职责的情况 |
[28:12] | Presidential responsibilities if not complete control. | 即便可能不是完全掌控的总统职责 |
[28:15] | Reagan had Alzheimer’s. His approval rating went up. | 里根有老年痴呆症 他的支持率上升了 |
[28:17] | Denny, john McCain is 72. | Denny 约翰 麦凯恩72岁了 |
[28:19] | He’d be the oldest person ever to assume office. | 他会是坐办公室的人里最老的一个 |
[28:22] | He’s ripe for a heart attack, | 他极有可能心脏病发作 |
[28:24] | Not to mention he’s had melanoma four times. | 还别提他的四次黑色素瘤病史 |
[28:26] | There’s a very real possibility he could die. | 他确实有在任上死掉的可能性 |
[28:29] | And then what? We’ll be left with Sarah Palin? | 然后呢? 就让佩林做总统? |
[28:31] | Is there anybody anywhere who’s really okay with tha | 这地球上难道真有人同意这种事发生? |
[28:34] | – Yes, they’re called Americans! – Oh, Denny. | – 有啊 他们就是美国人民! – 哦 Denny |
[28:36] | – The Joe six-Pack, the small- – Joe six-Pack needs somebody | – 普通大众 那些小的… – 普通大众需要的 |
[28:39] | To fix the economy, not have a beer with! | 是能拯救经济的人 而不是一起喝啤酒的伙伴! |
[28:41] | I don’t hear anything? | 奥巴马也没提出什么建设性的… |
[28:42] | You don’t hear anything at all from john McCain. | 麦凯恩压根就什么都没提出 |
[28:44] | His own camp says “don’t talk about it. | 他自己的幕僚都说”不用具体谈了 |
[28:46] | Instead, we’ll just go negative. ” It’s despicable. | 我们只要反着说就行了” 这太可耻了 |
[28:48] | Obama’s gone negative, too, | 奥巴马也用负面新闻攻击对方 |
[28:49] | That bulldog in lipstick says Obama pals around | 那条涂着口红的牛头犬说奥巴马 (最后一分钟选择的副总统人选) |
[28:52] | With terrorists… | 跟恐怖分子称兄道弟… |
[28:53] | Oh, and Obama loves to play those ads… | 哦 奥巴马也热衷于用这一套… |
[28:54] | It’s beneath gutter politics. It’s shameful. | 这就是低级政治 太可耻了 |
[28:55] | – About McCain… – Smear- | – 来对付麦凯恩… – 手段卑劣… |
[28:56] | – And the Keating five. – Cynical, disgusting smear… | – 还有 “基廷五人”事件 – 激进 恶心的卑劣手段… |
[28:57] | And that’s the high ground? | 这就正大光明了? |
[28:58] | And if this represents the direction he plans | 如果这就是在8年的布什政府统治之后 |
[29:00] | To lead us after eight years of the bush administration- | 他要带领我们前进的方向 |
[29:01] | Change, change, change! | 变革 变革 变革! |
[29:03] | Well, McCain’s camp just spews out hate-Fled demagoguery- | 麦凯恩的竞选阵营只会玩恶意的煽动 |
[29:04] | Yes, we can! Yes, we can! | 是的 我们可以! 是的 我们可以! |
[29:06] | – Some maverick. – What-What-What-Oh! | – 所谓”独行侠” – 什么 什么 什么 |
[29:08] | Maverick, maverick, maverick! | 独行侠 独行侠 独行侠! 独行侠 独行侠 独行侠! Maverick, maverick, maverick! |
[29:12] | – Ow! You shot me! – Damn right, I did. | – 哦 你拿枪打我! – 我还就他妈打了 |
[29:14] | Denny, that hurt me. For god sake… | Denny 这很疼的 看在上帝的份上… |
[29:18] | – Oh! You got me in the back! – Well, that’ll teach ya. | – 哦!你从背后偷袭! – 给你点教训 |
[29:22] | – Ow! Ow! – All even now. | 这下扯平了 |
[29:24] | You could’ve shot my eye out, you crazy- | 你差点把我眼珠子打出来了 你这疯… |
[29:27] | Don’t ever raise a gun to me-Oh! | 绝对不要举枪对着我… |
[29:29] | Happy now? Ah! Ah! | 现在开心了? |
[29:57] | Politics. | 这就是政治 |
[30:13] | What’s going on with you two? | 你们俩怎么了? |
[30:15] | Nothing. | 没事 |
[30:16] | Nothing. | 没事 |
[30:28] | Hi, guys. | 嗨 伙计们 |
[30:31] | Denny and I are fighting. | 我和Denny在吵架 |
[30:33] | Oh, got it. | 哦 明白了 |
[30:34] | Denise, listen… | Denise 听着… |
[30:38] | I… | 我… |
[30:41] | I’m very sorry about being so flippant about you and brad. | 我很抱歉 那么无礼地问你和Brad的事 |
[30:46] | It’s just-It felt like you were trying to unnerve me, | 只是…我觉得你是要对我使坏 |
[30:50] | And… I resorted to a little gamesmanship myself. | 而… 我就自己也用了不光彩的手段 |
[30:53] | And I’ve been. Feeling terrible about it. | 我一直…感觉很过意不去 |
[30:57] | Well, Alan, don’t beat yourself up about it. | Alan 你不用为此自责 |
[31:00] | – No- – I mean, do if it’ll compromise your closing. | – 不是… – 但要是能搞砸你的结案陈词 那就继续吧 |
[31:04] | You know, not to be, uh, disgustingly opportunistic, | 并不是要可耻地趁虚而入 |
[31:09] | But I always felt that there was | 但我一直觉得 |
[31:12] | Unfinished business between the two of us- | 我们俩之间还有未尽的情缘 |
[31:15] | Uh, actually, unstarted business- | 嗯 事实上 是从未开始的情缘 |
[31:17] | – And, well- – I would love it. | – 而 嗯… – 我很乐意 |
[31:22] | Would you? | 是吗? |
[31:25] | If only I wasn’t married. | 如果我没结婚的话 |
[31:28] | But you and brad are split. | 但你和Brad分居了 |
[31:30] | Well, I might have fudged the facts a little there. | 我可能编了些谎话 |
[31:36] | Which facts? | 什么谎话? |
[31:36] | Mm, the part about brad and I being split. | 就是我和Brad分居的事 |
[31:39] | The truth is, we’ve never en happier. | 事实上 我们从未像现在这样幸福过 |
[31:43] | I’m gonna get him to send you a postcard | 我会让他从那些潮湿的异国旅游景点 |
[31:46] | From one of his moist, exotic destinations. | 寄张明信片给你 |
[31:51] | Mm. Time for court, al. | 嗯 该上庭了 Al |
[32:10] | Jerry. | |
[32:14] | For what it’s worth… | 不管是真是假… |
[32:18] | I thought you did a good job. | 我觉得你表现得不错 |
[32:20] | Could’ve done without the wooden cigarette | 如果没有那支木头烟 |
[32:22] | Or the talk about the spin-Off, | 或者另起炉灶的言论更好 |
[32:24] | But I thought you presented yourself in good form. | 但我觉得你很好地展示了自己 |
[32:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[32:30] | Do we know when they’ll make their decision? | 他们什么时候做决定? |
[32:32] | Um… | 嗯… |
[32:34] | They have already, actually. | 事实上 他们已经决定了 |
[32:39] | You made partner, Jerry. | 你是合伙人了 Jerry |
[32:46] | Are you… teasing me? | 你是在…捉弄我吗? |
[32:49] | No, I am not teasing you. | 不 我不是捉弄你 |
[32:53] | It is my privilege- And I do mean it when I say privilege- | 我非常荣幸地… 是发自内心的荣幸 |
[32:57] | To inform you that an offer of full partnership | 通知你 你已经获得了 |
[33:00] | Has been extended to you. | 合伙人资格 |
[33:10] | Thank you. Thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢 |
[33:12] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[33:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[33:22] | Aren’t you gonna at least pop, | 你不要弄出点声音 |
[33:24] | Hop, purr for god sake? | 跳两下吗? |
[33:27] | You must have a-A celebratory tick you’ve been saving up. | 你肯定准备好了什么庆祝的声响 |
[33:30] | It’s not that big a deal, Katie. | 这不算什么 Katie |
[33:34] | It’s good. | 是很好 |
[33:35] | It’s a nice feather. | 很不错 |
[33:41] | But it’s… it’s really just… | 但这… 这真的只是… |
[33:58] | Can anybody explain the logic behind this? | 谁能解释一下这其中的逻辑? |
[34:02] | The federal government- Our government- | 联邦政府 我们的政府… |
[34:04] | Is actually prohibiting a company | 真的禁止一家公司 |
[34:07] | From exceeding regulations to make its products safer. | 超越了法规的期望 来让他们的产品更安全 |
[34:10] | I’m baffled. | 我真是搞不明白 |
[34:12] | It’s one thing to say that our government can no longer protect us. | 说我们的政府不再能 保护我们的安全是一回事 |
[34:15] | We’ve seen that with the F.D.A., which has failed | 食品药品管理局已经让我们领教过了 |
[34:17] | To regulate drugs that have, in fact, killed us. | 他们没能管制夺走我们生命的药品 |
[34:20] | We’ve seen our government undercut regulation | 我们见过政府降低了 |
[34:22] | By the consumer product safety commission, | 消费品安全委员会的标准 |
[34:25] | Paving the way for an influx of, uh, | 使得致命的镀铅进口商品 |
[34:27] | Deadly lead-Coated imports. | 大量涌入 |
[34:29] | We’ve seen the s. E.C., | 我们看到证券交易委员会 |
[34:30] | In deference to free-Market capitalists, | 听从主张自由市场的资本家 |
[34:32] | Go m. I.A. On wall street, | 而对华尔街毫不监管 |
[34:34] | Essentially leading to an economic implosion. | 这也是导致金融风潮的最根本原因 |
[34:36] | And john McCain wants to deregulate health care, god forbid. | 而约翰麦凯恩还希望解除政府对 医疗健康的监管 希望此事千万不要出现 |
[34:39] | I mean, I-I suppose all of that can be attributed to | 我是说 我- 我估计所有的这些归根结底 |
[34:43] | Simple greed and incompetence, | 仅是因为贪婪以及不称职 |
[34:45] | But this- This is a new tactic altogether. | 而这个– 这则是一个全新的手段 |
[34:50] | This goes beyond scrapping regulation In favor of big business interests. | 这绝不仅仅只是为大型企业的利益着想 而将规章制度视于无物 |
[34:55] | This is our government deliberately | 这是我们的政府故意性地 |
[34:58] | taking steps To actually thwart our safety. | 一步一步地危害我们的健康安全 |
[35:02] | There can be no possible explanation | 对于禁止我的委托人检测她的牛群一事 |
[35:05] | For banning my client from testing her cows | 其中绝无合理的解释 |
[35:07] | Other than the most blatant and malignant one- | 除非是那个最无耻而满怀恶意的原因– |
[35:10] | That the U.S.D.A. has been bought off By the big meat packers, | 即是美国农业部已经被大型肉类企业收买了 |
[35:13] | who don’t want to bear The added expense of doing the same testing. | 这些企业不愿意承担额外的支出 来进行相同的检测 |
[35:16] | We’ve seen big pharmaceutical buy off the F.D.A. | 我们看过大型医药企业 收买食品及药物管理局 |
[35:19] | We’ve certainly seen big oil help craft u. S. Energy poly, For god sake. | 我们当然也见过大型石油企业协同制订 美国能源政策 着实可笑 |
[35:24] | The tobacco industry still spends $20 million a year Lobbying congress. | 烟草企业依然每年花费200万美元 用以游说国会 |
[35:28] | But even if you’re somehow willing | 不过即便你不知怎的 |
[35:30] | to accept This money-Talks approach to government, | 愿意接受政府这种金钱决定一切的做法 |
[35:33] | How can it get to a point where- | 这又怎么能导致– |
[35:36] | She just wants to make sure her beef is safe. | 他只是希望确保她牛肉的安全性 |
[35:38] | I mean, whose government is this? | 我是说 这到底是谁的政府? |
[35:42] | I agree. | 我同意 |
[35:45] | Ms. Bauer… | Bauer女士… |
[35:46] | This is shocking, | 这实在是令人震惊 |
[35:48] | outrageous… | 出离愤怒… |
[35:50] | indecent. | 低俗可鄙 |
[35:51] | I don’t know who the department of agriculture Thinks it’s working for, | 我不清楚农业部认为它在为谁服务 |
[35:54] | But it is certainly not me or my grandchildren. | 不过可以肯定不是为我或者我的孙子 |
[35:58] | This ridiculous ban is- | 这荒唐的禁令– |
[36:00] | Is overruled. | 被否决了 |
[36:02] | My god! | 天哪! |
[36:04] | We’re adjourned. | 就此休庭 |
[36:07] | Yes. | 太好了 |
[36:08] | I don’t know about you, | 不知道你怎么想 |
[36:09] | but I like to cap off my victories With a simple toast and a poke. | 不过我喜欢喝一点小酒 做一点小爱 来庆祝我的胜利 |
[36:13] | How about you? | 你呢? |
[36:14] | Mr. Shore, thank you. | Shore先生 谢谢你 |
[36:16] | And may I say before I leave, my gratitude notwithstanding, | 我能在走之前说一句吗 尽管我非常感激 |
[36:19] | You two are the weirdest lawyers I’ve ever met. | 不过还是觉得你们两个是我所遇到的 最奇怪的律师了 |
[36:22] | You in particular should be institutionalized. | 特别是你 应该被送进精神病院 |
[36:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:25] | Is that yes on the poke? | 这是表示同意做点小爱了? |
[36:32] | Denny, I’m sorry about our fight. | Denny 对于我们的争斗 我该说句对不起 |
[36:34] | It was my fault. I broke our agreement and got too emotional. | 是我的错 我违反了我们的协定 实在是太冲动了 |
[36:38] | No, no. I’m sorry, too. | 不 不 我也该说对不起 |
[36:40] | for god sake! | 搞什么飞机! |
[36:42] | – It was Valerie’s doing. – Jeez, Denny! | – 都怪Valerie – 天哪 Denny! |
[36:45] | Hi, guys. | 嗨 伙计们 |
[36:47] | – Hey. – Congratulations. | – 嗨 – 恭喜你们 |
[36:49] | I’m actually happy you won. | 实际上我很高兴你们能赢 |
[36:52] | I mean, off the record. | 当然了 只是私下里说说 |
[36:53] | – Are you? – Yeah. | – 真的? – 是的 |
[36:55] | It was fun seeing the both of you again. | 很高兴再次见到你们两个 |
[36:58] | And, Alan, brad and I would love to have | 还有 Alan Brad和我都希望 |
[37:00] | you to the house sometime for dinner. | 你什么时候能来我们家吃饭 |
[37:03] | You’re an evil little vixen. | 你这个恶毒的小妇人 |
[37:11] | Come on, Alan. Let’s go vote. | 走啦 Alan 去投票吧 |
[37:13] | – You just behave yourself. – That’s Valerie’s doing. | – 你给我老实点 – 是Valerie的错啦 |
[37:32] | Alan Shore. | |
[38:35] | You hear? | 你听说了吗? |
[38:36] | Jerry made partner. | Jerry成为合伙人了 |
[38:37] | I did. | 我听说了 |
[38:39] | I also understand you went to bat for him. | 我也知道你去给他帮忙了 |
[38:41] | Well, I kinda like the guy, nut job that he is.? | 唔 我有点喜欢这个家伙 傻兮兮的 |
[38:46] | Denny, can you believe… | Denny 你敢想象… |
[38:49] | We could’ve seriously hurt ourselves yesterday, | 我们昨天可能会真的伤到自己吗? |
[38:51] | Shooting each other in the face with those things. | 拿着那些东西对着对方的脸乱射 |
[38:54] | – We were really mad. – Yeah we were. | – 我们生气得都疯了 – 是的 |
[38:57] | I- I-I got the, uh, the mad cow. | 我 我 我有这个疯牛病 |
[38:59] | What’s your excuse? | 你的理由是什么? |
[39:00] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[39:03] | I’ve always been such a proponent Of people being able to… | 我始终希望大家… |
[39:08] | Discuss politics without getting too… | 可以在讨论政治的时候… |
[39:11] | emotional. | 不要太过情绪化 |
[39:14] | There I was, Going off like… | 而我却 失控得… |
[39:18] | I- It’s good that you’re passionate. | 你有激情是好事 |
[39:26] | So we’re not gonna… | 那我们不… |
[39:27] | talk about it? | 谈那事儿了? |
[39:30] | What? | 什么事儿? |
[39:32] | Who we voted for | 你把票投给谁了 |
[39:34] | I know who you voted for | 我知道你给谁投票了 |
[39:37] | And you? | 你呢 |
[39:39] | Finish drinking. | 把酒喝了 |
[39:42] | I’ve already crossed my aisle today. | 我改弦易辙了 |
[39:49] | Where’ve you been? | 你什么意思 |
[39:53] | Denny, did you? | 你是不是– |
[39:56] | I’ll never admit it in public. | 公开场合下我是绝对不会承认的 |
[40:00] | What made you change your mind? | 你因为什么改变主意的? |
[40:02] | Not you… | 反正不是你 |
[40:03] | Ahhh… Truth is I didn’t know the right choice but… | 说实话 我也不知道正确的选择 不过 |
[40:07] | These last eight years… | 这过去的八年啊 |
[40:10] | Let’s just say | 这么说吧 |
[40:12] | I knew the wrong one | 我知道错误的选择 |
[40:15] | I think I love you | 我觉得我真的爱你 |
[40:16] | You’ve always loved me | 你一直都爱我 |
[40:18] | I love you more now | 我现在更爱你了 |
[40:31] | Tomorrow we’ll actually wake up with a | 明天我们醒来 |
[40:33] | new president elect | 就会有一位新选出来的总统了 |
[40:44] | And possibly | 太不可思议了 |
[40:47] | a new America | 一个全新的美国 |
[40:55] | Bigger wow | 更大的哇 |