时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:41] | Clarence | Clarence. |
[00:42] | Alan, you… you might want to look at this. | Alan 你可能想看看这个 |
[00:45] | – Paternity suit? – no. | – 生父确认诉讼? – 不 |
[00:47] | – Sexual harassment? – no. | – 性骚扰? – 不 |
[00:50] | – Emperor’s club? – Just read it. | – 皇家俱乐部? – 先看看吧 |
[01:00] | I got in. I got in the auxiliary coast guard. | 我成功了 我加入海岸警卫队预备役了 |
[01:04] | Denny! | Denny! |
[01:06] | Denny! Denny, I got in! I’m in the coast guard! | Denny! Denny! 我加入海岸警卫队了! |
[01:10] | – What? – Yeah. | – 什么? – 是啊 |
[01:11] | Am in? I don’t know. Did you get a letter? | – 我被批准了么? – 不知道 你收到信了么? |
[01:13] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 I don’t know. I… |
[01:22] | I’m in! I got in! | 我也加入了! 加入了! |
[01:25] | We’re in the coast guard! | 我们加入海岸警卫队了! |
[01:29] | Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! We’re in the coast guard! | 我们加入海岸警卫队了! |
[01:35] | We’re in the coast guard! alan, we’re in the coast guard! Yes! | 我们加入海岸警卫队了! |
[02:11] | You mean they actually got in? | 他们真加入了? |
[02:13] | We evidently need the soldiers. | 看来我们太缺军人了 |
[02:15] | Good morning, your honor. I’m not interested. | – 早上好 法官大人 – 我不感兴趣 |
[02:18] | I’m here to see alan shore if he’s busy, interrupt him. | 我找Alan Shore 如果他忙 就打断他 |
[02:21] | May I tell him what… No, you may not. | – 我能告诉他… – 不行 |
[02:22] | You may tell him who. Judge harvey cooper. | 告诉他是Harvey Cooper法官找他 |
[02:26] | You mean it’s not a social visit? | 你不是看我的? |
[02:28] | I will not suffer I do not like you. your sarcasm, Mr. Shore.That having been said, | 我不想听你挖苦我 Shore先生 我不喜欢你 |
[02:32] | I have enormous respect for your legal skills. | 但我敬重你的法律技能 |
[02:35] | i’m here to hire you in that capacity. | 正是如此 我是来雇你的 |
[02:37] | Please sit. | 请坐 |
[02:39] | Why, thank you. | 哦 谢谢 |
[02:42] | I’m in the coast guard. | 我加入海岸警卫队了 |
[02:48] | Do you know where I hail from, Mr. Shore? | 你知道我来自哪么 Shore先生? |
[02:51] | A dark and scary place with enchanted creatures? | 住着魔幻生物的黑暗恐怖的地方? |
[02:54] | I’m from concord, massachusetts. Right. | – 我来自麻省康科德镇 – 嗯 |
[02:57] | There’s a reason I chose to reside in concord, massachusetts. | 之所以选择住在麻省康科德 |
[03:00] | I’m an american. | 是因为我是美国人 |
[03:02] | concord, massachusetts, fought off the british, is where the minute men personifying the heroism | 就是在麻省康科德 民兵击退了英国人 |
[03:05] | and patriotism of what it means to be an american. | 展现了美国人的英雄主义和爱国精神 |
[03:10] | Oh, I’m the coast guard, so… | 嗯 我也加入了海岸警卫队 所以… |
[03:13] | I come to you asking you in a rather drastic to represent our historic town cause of action. | 希望你能替我们历史悠久的镇打这场官司 我们的诉因相当过分 |
[03:20] | Which is? | 诉因是? |
[03:21] | We wish to secede. | 我们想独立 |
[03:24] | Secede? From the union. We want independence. | – 独立? 我们想要独立 – 从联邦独立 |
[03:28] | The people of concord do not like the direction of this country. | 康科德的人不喜欢国家的领导 |
[03:32] | In particular, its oppressive policies, both abroad and here at home. | 尤其是国家压迫性的内外政策 |
[03:37] | It was thomas jefferson who said, “whenever any form of government become destructive, | 托马斯-杰弗逊说过 如果政府不力 |
[03:41] | “it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it | 人民就有权改变它或废除它 |
[03:44] | and to establish new government.” | 并建立新政府 |
[03:47] | That is what we wish to do. | 这就是我们想做的 |
[03:49] | The town council unanimously voted to approve it last night. | 镇议会昨晚投票一致通过 |
[03:53] | You wish to secede from the united states of america? | 你们想从美国独立? |
[03:57] | We wish to secede from the united states of america. | 我们想从美国独立 |
[04:02] | You’re not serious. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[04:04] | They really want to do it. | 他们真想如此 |
[04:05] | And you agreed to represent them? | 你接了这个案子? |
[04:07] | yes. And how’s it going with that bomb for nantucket? | 是啊 南塔基特岛炸弹的案子如何了? |
[04:11] | Alan, come on. It’s been done, shirley. | Alan 拜托 以前也有过这种事 Shirley |
[04:13] | In 1820, a rather large chunk of massachusetts seceded from the commonwealth. | 1820年 马萨诸塞州很大一块地方 脱离了麻省管辖 |
[04:17] | Todaywe call it maine. | 成了今天的缅因州 |
[04:18] | that was 1820. | 那是1820年 |
[04:19] | Yes, and today there are five different groups | 是啊 现在也有五方 |
[04:21] | who are trying to secede from the united states? In february, the secretary of state from montana | 想要从美国独立吧? 2月份 蒙大纳的州务卿说 |
[04:26] | said they’d secede if the supreme court limited firearm ownership. | 如果高院限制他们的军火量 他们也要独立 |
[04:28] | maybe we could have a tea party. | 开个茶话会 一起闹独立 |
[04:40] | Did they give you a reason for seceding? | 他们独立的理由是? |
[04:43] | Yes, they want to hold some neglected truths to be self-evident. | 他们希望大家会注意到一些 被忽视的事实 |
[04:47] | Isn’t it exciting? | 刺激吧? |
[04:54] | You left the room rather abruptly, denny. | 你很突然的离开了会议室 Denny |
[04:57] | On the very day we get in the military… | 就在我们参军的这天… |
[05:03] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了? |
[05:07] | I don’t want you to take this case. | 我不希望你接这个案子 |
[05:09] | Well, I already did. | 我已经接了 |
[05:12] | For years, I’ve sat back, listening to you criticize the u.s. | 这几年 我一直听你批评美国 |
[05:18] | accepting your premise that dissent is patriotic. | 接受你说的 批评就是爱国 |
[05:22] | But seceding… | 但独立… |
[05:25] | I am a founding father of this firm. | 我是这间公司的创始人 |
[05:27] | as senior partner, i’m asking you, drop this matter now. | 作为资深合伙人 我请求你放弃这个案子 |
[05:33] | I can’t do that. | 做不到 |
[05:35] | This will affect our friendship, alan. | 这会影响到我们的友谊 Alan |
[05:38] | I have great… Faith in our friendship. | 我对咱俩的感情…有信心 |
[05:42] | I trust it will survive my taking this case. | 接这个案子 不会影响到我俩 |
[05:49] | Get out, alan. | 出去 Alan |
[05:52] | Denny, this isn’t personal. You have to know… | Denny 要知道 这不是针对你的 |
[05:54] | Please get out. | 请出去吧 |
[06:25] | What do you think of this lawsuit alan is bringing? | Denny 你怎么看Alan的诉讼? |
[06:31] | Uh, concord seceding? | 康科德镇独立? |
[06:32] | I’m against it. | 我反对 |
[06:35] | I have an idea. | 我有个主意 |
[06:37] | You had an idea. | 你有个主意 |
[06:38] | I get one every leap year. | 每到闰年 我都有好主意 |
[06:43] | Before we get too far into this, | 开始深入讨论之前 |
[06:45] | I trust you’ve considered that you and your entire township. | 我希望你考虑过 你和整个镇子 |
[06:48] | will be deemed anti-american. yes. | – 都会被认为是反美的 – 对 |
[06:51] | And that under the patriot act, | 而且根据爱国法案 |
[06:52] | law enforcement is practically required | 执法机关要调查你们的动机 |
[06:56] | to investigate your motives… and the council, but the whole town. Not just the mayor | 不仅仅是市长和议会 要包括整个镇子 |
[07:00] | They get to dig into everything in your lives… | 他们要发掘你们所有的生活 |
[07:02] | Your political affiliations, your bank accounts,credit cards | 政治背景 银行账户 信用卡 电子邮件 |
[07:05] | the books you’ve checked out at the library, your e-mails, phone records, | 电话记录 曾浏览的书籍影视… |
[07:09] | the videos you… mr. the provisions of the patriot act Shore, we understand fully | Shore先生 我们明白爱国法案的条款 |
[07:13] | and the litany of governmental powers it bestows. | 也知道赋予政府的诸多权力 |
[07:15] | That’s one of the very reasons we want to secede. | 这正是我们想独立的原因 |
[07:18] | You won’t likely win. | 你们不可能打赢的 |
[07:20] | You gotta know that, judgie-boy. | 你要知道这点 小法官 |
[07:24] | he’s right. | 他说的没错 |
[07:24] | There is no way any court is going to let a town | 什么法院都不可能让城镇独立的 |
[07:29] | from the united states. You just bring the motion. | 你只管提出动议 |
[07:30] | In an election year, we’ll settle for a shot | 大选之年 我们就想向世界传达一个信息 |
[07:33] | heard round the world. All we’re looking for is to survive summary judgment. | 我们只求逃过即决判决 |
[07:35] | if we can just get to an actual trial… | 能达到正式审判就好 |
[07:38] | Right. There’s your political podium. | 没错 那是你的政治平台 |
[07:41] | You just bring the motion. | 你只管提出动议 |
[07:46] | Of all the ridiculous,absurd, preposterous | 在你提起的所有荒唐可笑 不合常理 是非颠倒 |
[07:52] | outlandish,- far-fetched, incredulous… | 荒诞离奇 牵强附会 难以置信 |
[07:56] | Bring it home now. | 回本垒吧 |
[07:57] | – Outrageous… – There we go. | – 不可容忍… – 来了 |
[08:00] | Cases you have ever brought. | 的案子中 这个首屈一指 |
[08:02] | Your honor, I believe with that mind of yours, if you just listened to us which is so notoriously open, | 法官大人 如果你用您那众所周知的 开明的大脑 |
[08:05] | one can hear huge gusts of wind swirling through on their way… | 认真听下去 能听到我如沐清风般的陈述 |
[08:11] | A town cannot bring a lawsuit to secede from the united states. | 城镇不能为了从美国独立而提起诉讼 |
[08:15] | Of course we can. | 我们可以 |
[08:17] | There’s ample precedent for it,starting with the declaration of independence, you hack. | 以前有过先例 始于独立宣言 外行人 |
[08:21] | Mr. Cooper… I am still judge cooper, especially to you, sir. | – Cooper先生 – 尤其对你来说 请叫我Cooper法官 |
[08:25] | And if you were a decent judge,you would understand | 如果你是像样的法官 就该明白 |
[08:28] | that the jurisdiction belongs in federal, not state court. And if you were a decent judge, | 这个案子的司法权归联邦法院所有 不是州法院 |
[08:31] | you’d know that the federal courts, | 如果你是像样的法官 就该明白联邦法院 |
[08:34] | wanting two bites at the apple to quash this,would first kick it right back to state | 希望双管齐下取消诉讼 他们会先踢给州法院审理 |
[08:38] | hoping you’ll do their work for them. | 希望你代为行事 |
[08:39] | And I plan to quash it, don’t you worry. | 我也计划取消诉讼 你别担心 |
[08:42] | Whoa. Let’s not do any rash quashing, judge. | 咱别轻易取消 法官大人 |
[08:45] | All I ask is for you to listen to us before… why? | – 我只希望您认真听我们… – 为什么? |
[08:50] | why? | 为什么? |
[08:52] | It’s what judges do. | 这是法官的职责 |
[08:53] | They typically weigh the mits before ruling on them. | 判决之前要先考虑考虑 |
[08:56] | did they not tell you this in judging school? | 你上学的时候 他们没教过你? |
[08:58] | Go ahead and quash it now. | 随便 取消吧 |
[08:59] | That’ll simply allow us to refile with another judge, | 这样我们就能再找一个法官了 |
[09:02] | preferably one with an i.q. Exceeding that of celery. | 找个比猪智商高的 |
[09:05] | So go ahead. Dismiss it. We don’t want you anyway. | 来吧 取消吧 我们不需要你 |
[09:09] | Well, you’ve got me. I will hear this case. | 说服我了 我听你陈述 |
[09:13] | Uh, wait. That’s ridiculous. Of course you think it’s ridiculous. | 等等 这太荒谬了 你当然觉得荒谬 |
[09:16] | you represent the commonwealth. | 你是代表州政府的 |
[09:17] | By the way, since is the commonwealth, the attorney general’s office | 顺便说 既然检察长办公室属于州政府 |
[09:21] | our first order of business would be to disqualify you. | 我们第一项要求就是要取消你的资格 |
[09:23] | You’re the state. The state is the defendant, judge. | 你代表国家 国家是被告 法官阁下 |
[09:25] | That would be a very clever tactic if we weren’t on step ahead of you. | 要不是我们领先一步 这倒是一个聪明的策略 |
[09:29] | We’ve already hired outside, independent counsel. | 我们已经请了外部独立律师 |
[09:31] | In fact, outside counsel came to us. | 事实上是外部律师找上我们 |
[09:34] | Really? Who? I don’t see anybody. | 真的吗? 谁? 我没看到 |
[09:40] | You must be joking. | 你开什么玩笑 |
[09:42] | The commonwealth has waived conflicts. | 麻省同意由一家事务所代理 |
[09:44] | Wait a second. The same firm for both sides? | 等等 两边同一家公司? |
[09:47] | saves on guest cast. Mr. Shore? | 节约了客串 Shore先生? |
[09:49] | Concord will waive conflict, your honor. | 康科德也同意 阁下 |
[09:55] | 5:00. | 五点 |
[09:57] | Isn’t it exciting? | 刺激吧? |
[09:58] | Could be. | 会刺激的 |
[10:00] | Denny… | Denny… |
[10:01] | Nothing personal, alan. | 对事不对人 Alan |
[10:08] | This is a very bad idea. | 这个主意很糟 |
[10:10] | It was denny’s. Oh, well, then… | 是Denny的 哦 那么 |
[10:13] | Shirley, now it is good that we oppose. | 我们打对堂也不错 |
[10:15] | First, it will offset for representing any fallout this firm will get perceived traitors. | 首先 这将抵消公司代表潜在判国者 带来的任何附加结果 |
[10:19] | Second, what they’re doing is wrong. | 第二 他们的所做所为是错了的 |
[10:21] | whatever one’s problems with america… | 不管是怎么对美国不满 |
[10:22] | You should be telling alan to withdraw, not denny and me. | 你应该是让Alan退出 而不是我和Denny |
[10:25] | who’s arguing? | 谁做辩护? |
[10:26] | I am. | 我来 |
[10:29] | But, d-denny, you specifically came to me and…For backup. | – 但是Denny 你特地叫我来…. – 做后备 |
[10:33] | I’ll first chair. | 我主辩 |
[10:34] | Well, denny, I…I believe the client thinks they’re getting me. Denny, | 恩 Denny 我觉得委托人以为是我上阵 |
[10:37] | why would they think that? | 他们为什么那么以为? |
[10:39] | I’m denny crane. | 我可是Denny Crane |
[10:42] | The problem is, he might be able to exploit alan knows you so well, your weaknesses. | 问题是 Alan对你太熟了 他也许会利用你的弱点 |
[10:48] | Well, you forget I know him. | 恩 你忘记了我也熟悉他 |
[10:49] | I can exploit his weaknesses. Besides, I don’t have any weaknesses. | 我可以利用他的弱点 另外 我没任何弱点 |
[10:54] | I’ll first chair. | 我主辩 |
[11:06] | Denny | Denny, I… |
[11:09] | What’s that? | 那是什么? |
[11:12] | Rainbow trout. | 虹鳟鱼 |
[11:13] | You’d know if you ever caught one. | 如果你经常抓到过你就会知道 |
[11:15] | Can they survive in a tank like that? He won’t have to live long. | 他们能在这缸子里面存活? 他不必活多久 |
[11:19] | As soon as I catch him, I’m gonna eat him. You plan to fish for him? | 我一抓到他 我就把他吃掉 你准备钓他? |
[11:22] | Why wouldn’t i? Is that really sporting? | 为什么不? 这样是真的公平吗? |
[11:28] | What do you want, alan? | 你想干什么 Alan? |
[11:30] | Denny, I think you and I trying a case… | Denny 我觉得你和我同辩一个案子 |
[11:33] | Against each other is a really, really bad idea. | 对质公堂 的确不是个好主意 |
[11:36] | fine. Recuse yourself. | 那好 你自己回避 |
[11:38] | I can’t do that. I’ve given my word to those people | 我不能那样 我已经答应那些人做他们律师 |
[11:41] | i’ll represent them. And I’m defending my country against a traitor. | 我为我的祖国而辩护 对抗一个叛国者 |
[11:44] | This country was started by traitors, denny. | 这个国家就是由叛国者建立的 Denny |
[11:48] | I’m preparing a case. Please leave. | 我要准备一个案子 请离开 |
[11:50] | Denny, I don’t want to see you get hurt. | Denny 我不想看到你受伤害 |
[11:53] | Oh, you think you’ll win, hmm? | 哦你觉得你会赢? |
[11:54] | I’ll certainly survive summary judgment. | 我肯定能通过即决审判 |
[11:57] | $50,000 says you won’t. | 5万块 赌你不能 |
[11:59] | I am not going to bet you. Chicken. | – 我不会跟你赌的 – 胆小鬼 |
[12:01] | You know you’ll lose. | 你知道你会输 |
[12:03] | I won’t lose. $50,000. | – 我不会输 – 5万块 |
[12:06] | Denny, I don’t have to win on the merits here. | Denny 我不用证明 |
[12:09] | All I have to show is that there’s a possible case to be made. | 我只需要表明有可能立案 |
[12:12] | $50,000. | 5…万…块 |
[12:17] | How could you wager? Wee certain to lose. | 你怎么能下注呢? 我们肯定会输 |
[12:19] | Not at the summary judgment. | 即决审判不会 |
[12:20] | All the facts should be construed in our favor. | 所有的事实都对我们有利 |
[12:22] | We’re on the side of the founding fathers here. | 国父可是站在我们一边 |
[12:24] | The constitution stands for everything that the town of concord is advocating. | 宪法支持了康科德提倡的一切观点 |
[12:28] | Let’s not overplay the founding fathers. | 我们不要太抬举那些国父了 |
[12:30] | Most of them had slaves, mistresses. | 他们大多有奴隶和情妇 |
[12:32] | Maybe that’s where spitzer found his motivation. | 也许斯皮策州长就是从那儿得到的灵感 |
[12:35] | love the dress, by the way. you could stop traffic today, I tell ya. | 顺便说一句这身衣服不错 跟你说 你都可以引起交通堵塞了 |
[12:40] | What was that? | 什么意思? |
[12:41] | The town of concord, massachusetts, has actually filed a motion | 马萨诸塞州的康科德镇 |
[12:43] | seeking to secede from the united states | 真的提起诉讼 从美国独立 |
[12:47] | and become its own sovereign nation. | 寻求自治 |
[12:49] | The is legal precedent If not extraordinary for the unusual… Hey. act… hey. | 这次不同寻常的事件 如果不是特殊 有一个法律先例… |
[12:54] | preparing my case. | 准备我的案子 |
[12:55] | I can see that. | 我看得出来 |
[13:06] | You were once a brilliant attorney. | Denny… 你曾经是名才华横溢的律师 |
[13:13] | You’re… You’re not anymore. | 你 你现在不是了 |
[13:16] | You’re forgetful. | 你健忘 |
[13:18] | You don’t stay current on the law. | 你跟不上现在的法律 |
[13:20] | The last time I even saw you open a law book | 上一次我看你翻开一本法典 |
[13:23] | was because you had a copy of “rustler” tucked inside, | 是因为你有本”Rustler”夹在里面 |
[13:27] | which I see you found. | 你找到了 |
[13:34] | The thing… About alan | 问题是 |
[13:37] | is he’s not just a gifted lawyer. | Alan他不光是个天才律师 |
[13:42] | His competitive ego is extreme. | 他的好胜心是很非常强的 |
[13:44] | As much as he loves you, his first priority will be winning this case. | 虽然他爱你 但是他会优先考虑 怎么赢得这场官司 |
[13:48] | And, denny… He will tear you up. | Denny 他会把你击溃的 |
[13:52] | You are absolutely no match for him. | 你绝对不是他的对手 |
[13:56] | I don’t want you to handle this case. | 我不希望你处理这状案子 |
[14:01] | Not your decision. | 不由你决定 |
[14:05] | Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a case to prepare. | 请原谅 我有个案子要准备 |
[14:12] | You, too, alan. | 你也是 Alan |
[14:31] | This is not about the people of concord hating america. | 康科德的人民并不是仇恨美国 |
[14:34] | Just the opposite. | 恰好相反 |
[14:35] | We are simply seeking to form our own government, | 我们只是在寻求组建我们自己的政府 |
[14:38] | one that reflects the values of an america that used to be. | 一个能反映过去美国社会价值的政府 |
[14:42] | Which values are those, sir? | 是哪些价值呢? |
[14:44] | Freedom of speech, freedom majority rule, for starters. of religion, | 言论自由 宗教自由 多数决定原则 最起码这些 |
[14:48] | You don’t think america currently values those things? | 你觉得现在的美国不重视这些事情? |
[14:51] | Certainly much less so. | 肯定是很少重视的 |
[14:53] | Today one does not even have at a presidential appearance. the right to protest | 现在我们甚至没权利在总统 公开露面时抗议 |
[14:57] | We have things called free-speech zones. | 我们有所谓的自由言论区 |
[15:00] | news crews are not allowed to film the return of military caskets from iraq, | 新闻工作人员不被允许拍摄 从伊拉克运回的士兵棺材 |
[15:04] | lest the public get the awful idea that soldiers are being killed. | 免得公众留下士兵被杀的糟糕印象 |
[15:07] | This is censorship worthy of the cold war sovieunion, not the united states. | 这是审查机制 是冷战时期苏联用的 而不是美国 |
[15:13] | Certainly not the america I love. | 这肯定不是我所爱的美国 |
[15:16] | well, since we are in a time of war, maybe the rules… | 由于我们处于战争时期 也许这些规则… |
[15:18] | yes, and typically in war, we observe the geneva convention. | 是的 尤其是在战争中 我们遵守日内瓦条约 |
[15:22] | That’s no longer the case. | 情况再也不是这样了 |
[15:23] | We torture. | 我们严刑逼供 |
[15:24] | We lock people in prison camps like with no opportunity for a real hearing. | 我们把人关在战俘营里 就像关塔纳摩 没有真正听审的机会 |
[15:30] | we are guilty of the colonists ared up against to begin the very oppression america. | 我们现在代表的 正是当年奋起抗争 建立美国的殖民地人民所反对的压迫 |
[15:37] | thank you, sir. | 谢谢 先生 |
[15:55] | Denny… Uh, this would be the point where you get up and ask a challenging question. | Denny…这个时候你该 问一个质疑性问题 |
[16:00] | Do you have any? | 你有什么问题吗? |
[16:10] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[16:11] | Not to worry… Much. | 不要太担心 |
[16:15] | Your honor. Mr. Crane. | – 法官阁下 – Crane先生 |
[16:25] | Mr. Crane.You Miss old america. | 你怀恋旧美国 |
[16:26] | That’s exactly right. | 正是 |
[16:27] | Oh, yeah. In old america, we would never censor free speech. | 哦 耶 在以前的美国我们从来不审查言论自由 |
[16:31] | No, we would not. | 是的 我们没有 |
[16:32] | Even though woodrow wilson jailed 5,000 americansfor speaking out against world war i. | 即使伍德罗-威尔逊把5千名美国人 关进大牢 因为他们公然反对一战 |
[16:36] | That’s one example. Would you like a lollipop? | 这是一个例子 你要根棒棒糖吗? |
[16:38] | And locking people up without giving them a hearing, like guantanamo? | 把人们关起来 不给听审的机会 像关塔纳摩? |
[16:41] | Many of them innocent people. F.d.r. Jailed 100,000 japanese americans,Almost all of them innocent, | 他们中间很多人都是无辜的 罗斯福总统关押了10万日裔美国人 他们几乎都是无辜的 |
[16:47] | many of them children. | 大多数都是孩子 |
[16:48] | The japanese internment camps were for which we remain ashamed. an isolated incident | 日本的战俘收容所是个别事件 至今我们还引以为耻 |
[16:53] | One would hope we’d learn from it. | 我们应该从中吸取教训 |
[16:55] | it seems we haven’t. Spying on our own citizens? | 但好象没有 暗中监视我们自己的公民? |
[16:58] | That would never happen in the america you grew up in. No. | – 那绝对不会发生在你所生长的美国 – 不会 |
[17:01] | What about nixon? He spied. | 尼克松呢?他监视别人 |
[17:03] | Do I get a lollipop for watergate? | 那水门事件我是不是该得根棒棒糖呢? |
[17:05] | Nixon did not represent the american val… what about l.b.j.? | – 尼克松不能代表美国价值… – 那约翰逊总统呢? |
[17:08] | he used the fbi to spy on reporters.Bill clinton… | 他用联邦调查局来监视记者 比尔-克林顿 |
[17:11] | with what goes on today? You’re gonna equate bill clinton | 你准备把比尔-克林顿 与现在发生的事情相提并论? |
[17:14] | According to the a.c.l.u., | 根据美国公民自由联盟 |
[17:17] | bill clinton expanded stealth surveillance far beyond any previous administration ever, | 比尔克林顿所开展的秘密监视 远比以前的政府要多得多 |
[17:22] | and that was during a time of peace. | 而是那还是是处于和平时期 |
[17:23] | Bill clinton certainly never tortured people. | 比尔-克林顿没折磨人 |
[17:26] | No. He practiced rendition. | 没有 他引渡犯人 |
[17:27] | Shipping suspects off to other countries, | 把他们遣送到其他国家 |
[17:29] | like saudi arabia, egypt, and they tortured for us. | 比如沙特阿拉伯 埃及 他们替我们折磨犯人 |
[17:34] | During the cold war, we did human experimentation… | 冷战时 我们进行过人体实验 |
[17:38] | Innocent people… College students, mental patients. | 都是无辜的人 大学生 精神病患者 |
[17:41] | government-run experiments on unknowing victims. | 政府在无知受害者身上做实验 |
[17:44] | We tested everything from l.s.d. To nerve gas. | 从LSD到神经毒气 我们无所不用 |
[17:48] | We exposed unwitting black men trying to discover a cure. to syphilis, | 让不知情的黑人染上梅毒 只为找到治愈方法 |
[17:52] | We used them as guinea pigs. | 他们就像实验用的小白鼠 |
[17:53] | No, judge, you haven’t named one thing america’s doing today no, | 没有 法官 你的指控 没有一项 |
[17:58] | That we haven’t been doing for a long, long time. | 是只有现在才存在的 |
[18:10] | He was good. He was very good. | 他表现很好 他表现相当好 |
[18:13] | Never would know he’s dying from alzheimer’s, | 看不出来他快死于老年痴呆 |
[18:14] | not with that little performance. He’s not dying. | – 就他刚才的表现来说 – 他可没快死了 |
[18:18] | i’m sorry. I just meant… Why would you say that? | 抱歉 我意思是… 你怎么能说这种话? |
[18:21] | Well… | 怎么了? |
[18:23] | People with alzheimer’s… | 老年痴呆… 是不治之症 |
[18:26] | There’s no cure. but people can live with it, jerry, I know there’s no cure, sometimes for a very long time. | 我知道是不治之症 但他们不会死啊 有的能活很久 |
[18:30] | That was a terrible thing to say. I’m sorry. | 这个… 那样说也太无情了 很抱歉 |
[18:41] | what’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[18:43] | I’ll tell you what’s wrong. I’m not his whipping boy. | 我告诉你怎么了,我可不是他的出气筒 |
[18:47] | Ich fuhle machtig, dahmi dahmi dahmino. | 我很强大 妈的 妈的 他妈的 |
[18:50] | What language was that? | 你说哪国话呢? |
[18:51] | Swiss-german. | 瑞士腔德语 |
[18:53] | Oh, dear. It’s come to swiss-german. | 哦 得 开始说瑞士德语了 |
[19:01] | Would you excuse us for a minute, katie? | 能给我们几分钟吗 Katie? |
[19:12] | Jerry, I’m sorry. | Jerry 我很抱歉 |
[19:16] | I’ve been stressed out with this trial. | 这案子让我压力倍增 |
[19:22] | And I guess I’ve gotten so used to… | 也许我已经习惯了… |
[19:25] | Calling it “mad cow,” I… | 叫它”疯牛病” 我… |
[19:28] | I forget what it really is. | 忘了它到底是什么 |
[19:36] | You seem to be going to the wooden cigarette a lot more lately. | 你最近经常用那支木杆烟 |
[19:43] | Anything wrong? no. | – 出什么事了? – 没什么 |
[19:49] | I feel as if I haven’t… | 感觉我已经… |
[19:52] | Seen much of you over the last year. | 一年都没怎么见到你 |
[19:56] | We haven’t really spoken since, uh, the troubles with dana. | 自从Dana的事情之后 我们都没怎么聊过 |
[20:00] | Well, you’ve been really busy, alan. | 你一直很忙 Alan |
[20:03] | So have i, with work. Work has… | 我也忙…于工作 工作… |
[20:10] | Hey, that’s the beauty of being good friends, isn’t it? | 嘿 这就是好朋友的妙处 不是吗? |
[20:15] | Relationships you can just stick ’em with long shelf lives, on the shelf, I tell ya. | 超长保质期的友情 绝不会变质 我告诉你 |
[20:24] | What? | 干嘛? |
[20:30] | I have never, ever considered myself someone who puts work before friendships. | 我从没觉得自己是个 视事业重于友情的人 |
[20:41] | Seems I do. | 看来我确实是 |
[20:43] | We all do, alan. | 我们都是 Alan |
[20:46] | Friendships are a little like backyard gardens. | 友谊就好象你的后院花园 |
[20:48] | We plan to tend to them… | 我们总计划要打理它… |
[20:53] | We just always seem to put it off till next week. | 但却总是明日复明日 |
[21:21] | catch anything? | 钓到鱼了吗? |
[21:23] | not yet, but I will. | 还没 但我会的 |
[21:26] | You were quite something in court yesterday. | 昨天你表现很出色 |
[21:28] | Oh, thank you. Appreciate it. | 哦 谢谢 不敢当 |
[21:31] | Denny, could you stop fishing for a minute? | Denny 你能先别钓了吗 |
[21:35] | I’m feeling uncomfortable about the bet. | 那个赌注让我感觉很不好 |
[21:39] | We don’t need the kind of competition | 我们不用那样比 或者… |
[21:43] | or… Animosity that a bet Plus… like that can fuel. | 赌到两败俱伤 而且… |
[21:48] | You’re losing. I’m not losing. | – 你快输了 – 我才没输 |
[21:50] | Oh, yes, you’re losing. | 是的 你要输的 |
[21:53] | Do you understand how summary judgment goes? | 你知道即决审判怎么回事吧? |
[21:56] | The burden is totally on the defense. | 责任完全在被告方 |
[21:58] | You must prove there are no credible facts whatsoever | 你必须证明没有任何事实证据 |
[22:03] | up on which relief can be granted. | 支持通过动议 |
[22:06] | it’s all but impossible for defendants to win summary judgments. | 被告几乎不可能在即决审判中获胜 |
[22:10] | Double it? | 赌注加倍? |
[22:13] | Fine. Fine. | – 好 – 好 |
[22:16] | Just no doing your closing in that minuteman out fit with the musket. | 千万别在结案陈词时穿那身民兵服 拿杆毛瑟枪 |
[22:19] | remember how the jury just loved that? | 记得陪审团有多爱那身打扮么? |
[22:22] | Especially with money riding on this thing, | 特别是既然已经下了赌注 |
[22:24] | it would be unfair for you to take advantage like that. | 你要这么占便宜很不公平 |
[22:26] | promise me you won’t wear the minuteman out fit. | 你保证不要穿那套衣服 |
[22:32] | Nice try. | 这招狠 |
[22:44] | He’s doing well? | 他表现很好? |
[22:46] | Extremely. | 非常好 |
[22:48] | You know, denny may have but I don’t think mad cow, shirley, the cow is winning. | Denny也许有疯牛病 shirley 但疯牛病也打不倒他 |
[22:53] | Where are you now? | 接下来呢? |
[22:54] | We’ve got a retired general testifying, then we close. Denny’s closing? | 有个退休将军会来作证 Denny做结案陈词? 然后结案陈词 |
[23:00] | He must be on some kind of medication. | 他肯定在吃什么药 |
[23:01] | I don’t know, but, uh, all I can say is, he’s actually good. | 我不确定 但 我知道 他状态非常好 |
[23:07] | Old america? Are you kidding me? | 从前的美国? 开玩笑呢你? |
[23:10] | we don’t live in old america. This is a new world. | 我们可不住在从前的美国 这是个新的世界 |
[23:13] | The enemy isn’t countries or states or governments. | 我们的敌人不是那些国家或政府 |
[23:16] | it’s terrorists capable of attacking us here. | 而是有能力袭击我们的恐怖分子 |
[23:19] | Hell, they have attacked us here. | 该死 他们已经袭击过我们了 |
[23:21] | This is new warfare requiring new tactics. | 这是场需要全新战术的战争 |
[23:24] | Including torture? Absolutely. | – 包括拷问逼供? – 当然 |
[23:27] | Look, if we have a suspect who has information that a bomb is about to go off, | 听着 如果有个嫌疑人知道炸弹要爆炸 |
[23:31] | are you really suggesting possibly killing thousands of americans, we… we treat him gently, | 可能会炸死成千上万人 你会让我们以礼相待 |
[23:36] | that we don’t do everything we can to save american lives? | 坐以待毙吗? |
[23:39] | i… I’m not saying it. Oh, right. The democrats… Have supported the worst He is. Virtually all of them… of bush’s policies. | 我…我没这么说 他这么说的 |
[23:43] | Look… I long for yesterday myself. | 听着… 我也期望回到过去 |
[23:47] | We used to know how to fight a war and not trip over ourselves, | 我们曾知道怎么作战而不绊倒自己 |
[23:51] | but we still stand for the same principles. | 但我们始终坚持同样的原则 |
[23:54] | that hasn’t changed. | 这个一点没变 |
[23:58] | I’m confused. | 我糊涂了 |
[24:00] | Those principles you say we still stand for, | 你所说的原则 包括人权 |
[24:05] | do they include human rights, the fair and humane treatment of prisoners? | 公正和人道地对待囚犯吗? |
[24:08] | I’m saying, while those values remain important, | 我是说 那些价值观都很重要 |
[24:11] | we have to put them in perspective | 但我们要根据实际情况来处理问题 |
[24:15] | given the world we now live in. And what world is that? | 什么样的实际情况? |
[24:17] | One of terrorism. Right. | – 恐怖主义的世界 – 这样 |
[24:19] | One where the muslim world… much of it… hates us | 穆斯林世界对我们恨之入骨 |
[24:21] | and would love to see the destruction of the united states. | 并乐于看到美国毁灭的实际情况 |
[24:25] | Tell me, do you make any room for the possibility… | 告诉我 有没有一丝的可能 任何可能 |
[24:29] | any room whatsoever… That the conduct of our country, | 我们捏造借口发动战争的行为 |
[24:32] | be it starting a war under false pretenses… democrat. | 典型民主党人 |
[24:33] | move to strike. This isn’t republicans versus democrats. | – 要求不予纪录 这不是党派纷争 – 噢 笑话 |
[24:36] | only one democrat in the senate opposed the patriot act | 民主党人所有人 都支持布什最糟糕的决策 |
[24:40] | when it was first proposed. They stumbled over each other rushing to sign a blank check. | 只有一人在爱国法案首次提出时 他们争先恐后签了空白支票 表示过反对 |
[24:46] | I hardly stand here as a proud democrat. Not do you stand as a loyal american. | 作为民主党人 我在这里深表惭愧 你也愧对于当一名忠诚的美国人 |
[24:49] | Oh, come on. We don’t question your country in a time of war. | 哦 天啊 在战时我们不对国家说三道四 |
[24:52] | Why the hell not? That to me seems like | 干嘛不? |
[24:53] | an especially apt time to ask questions. Mr. Shore. | 我觉得这是说三道四的绝佳时机 Shore先生 |
[24:56] | I don’t know who the hell came up with the notion that | 我不懂谁提出的这种观念 |
[24:58] | one can’t criticize this country and still be patriotic. | 批评国家就不爱国 |
[25:01] | I bet it was cheney. Well, he was wrong. | 肯定是切尼说的 那么 他完全错了 |
[25:03] | some of our most noble patriots were dissenters… | 很多高尚的爱国者都提出过反对意见 |
[25:06] | Henry david thoreau, susan b. Anthony… are we doing closings now? Henry david thoreau, susan b. | 亨利-戴维-梭罗 苏珊-布劳内尔-安东尼 |
[25:08] | Would you like to? I’m ready. Would’ve worn the outfit. | 现在是做结案陈词吗? 要来吗? 我早准备好了 我等到花儿都谢了 |
[25:11] | Why don’t you just shut up instead? | 你干嘛不闭嘴? |
[25:13] | That’s enough, both of you. | 够了 你俩 |
[25:18] | Mr. Shore… | Shore先生 |
[25:19] | Do you have anything else? | 你还有什么说的吗? |
[25:28] | no. | 没了 |
[26:05] | Denny, Working on my closing. Later. | Denny 做结案呢 等会儿再说 |
[26:13] | I’m sorry about telling you to shut up. | 很抱歉我让你闭嘴 |
[26:20] | Can we agree just to try this case and not let it get personal? | 我们能只就事论事吗? |
[26:30] | Come in, alan. Sit down. | 过来 Alan 坐下 |
[26:40] | Something I thought you understood, | 有些事我以为你了解 但实际上你一点也不 |
[26:46] | but you clearly don’t understand… | 对于我们这代人 作为一个美国人 |
[26:50] | for people of my generation, Is personal. being an american… | 是带私人感情的 |
[26:52] | I realize… No, you don’t. You don’t. | – 我明白… – 不 你不明白 一点也不 |
[26:57] | In your life, growing up, you just took for granted that america would always be. | 在你的生活里 从小到大 你理所当然的认为美国会千秋万代 |
[27:02] | Why not? It’s a superpower, strongest country in the world. | 我们可是世界第一 超级大国 |
[27:06] | In my lifetime, with hitler and having the means to do so, trying to take over the world | 在我的时代 希特勒企图称霸世界 也有此能力 |
[27:10] | we went to bed scared at night that america would end. | 每晚睡觉时 我们都生怕美国会不复存在 |
[27:15] | Imagine that feeling, alan. | 知道那种感觉吗 Alan |
[27:20] | The tragedy for me here is… | 让我难过的是… |
[27:24] | You have no idea by the idea that a town… how deeply offended I am Wanting to secede. | 你无从感受那种被冒犯的感觉 当我得知一个小镇 |
[27:28] | You have no… | 要独立 你没法… |
[27:37] | Which means… | 我是说 |
[27:39] | You don’t know me, alan, not really. | 你不了解我 Alan 不了解 |
[27:46] | Our friendship has all the depth of a jigger of scotch. | 我们的友谊浅如杯中酒 |
[27:57] | I really need to work on my closing right now. | 我真的要准备结案陈词了 |
[28:26] | Why are you wearing that ridiculous costume? | 你怎么穿了一套这么诡异的戏服? |
[28:29] | It’s not a costume, your honor. | 这不是戏服 法官 |
[28:31] | I’m a member of the united states auxiliary coast guard. | 我是美国海岸警卫队预备役队员 |
[28:35] | I stand ready to defend high crime and treason. my country against enemies, | 在此全力捍卫我的祖国 反击敌人 重罪 叛国 |
[28:39] | Objection. I object to the implication… | 反对 反对暗示… |
[28:41] | Oh, Mr. Shore, sit down. | 哦 Shore先生 坐下 |
[28:43] | Thank you, your honor. I’ll make this short. | 谢谢 法官 我会尽量简洁 |
[28:45] | It is my belief that the best closing arguments are short. | 我坚信 最好的陈词都是简短的 |
[28:49] | there’s a lot to criticize about america today. | 如今到处都是对美国的批判 |
[28:51] | I realize that. | 我知道 |
[28:52] | Truth be told, I’m embarrassed by the current administration. | 说实话 我很为当局害臊 |
[28:55] | Who isn’t? | 谁不呢? |
[28:56] | But whatever one wants to say about george bush, | 但不管人们对乔治-布什有什么看法 |
[29:00] | there can be no question that he loves his country. | 毫无疑问 他是爱国的 |
[29:03] | He once made a simple statement that, simply put,reflects who and what he is. | 他曾做过一个简短陈述 简单说 反映了他的为人和做派 |
[29:08] | Simple? mr. Shore. | – 简短的? – Shore先生 |
[29:10] | He said, “you’re either with us or against us. | 他说 “一个人非敌即友” |
[29:13] | the town of concord comes into court, concord | 康科德告到法院 想要独立 |
[29:18] | says they no longer choose to be with us. they want to abandon america. | 他们要背弃美国 |
[29:21] | It is the most unpatriotic act of heresy imaginable. | 这是所能想象的最不爱国的行为 |
[29:28] | It’s treason. | 这就是叛国 |
[29:30] | Your honor, if you allow a week, a day, an hour, this case to continue | 法官 任由此案持续一周 一天 一小时 |
[29:35] | you are saying that abandoning is conceivably acceptable. america in a time of war | 都是在说 在战时背弃美国是可接受的 |
[29:41] | If you love this nation just one fraction of what george bush does | 只要您对国家的爱 有乔治-布什 |
[29:44] | or I do or most americans do, you cannot possibly find that acceptable. | 我 或者大多数美国人 就绝不可能觉得可以接受 百分之一那么多 |
[30:12] | not too long ago, we set the example for the world | 不久前 我们的民主和人权 |
[30:17] | on civil liberties and human rights. | 还在全世界起了表率作用 |
[30:21] | Today… | 现如今… |
[30:25] | Today we have this bipartisan piece of legislation… | 尽是些 两党分立的立法机关 爱国法案 |
[30:30] | The patriot act… authorizes warrantless searches, That criminalizes free speech, | 自由言论成了罪行 无证搜查却得授权 |
[30:34] | allows for wiretaps without probable cause. | 毫无理由的窃听也被允许 |
[30:37] | People can now be locked up denied due process on suspicion alone, or even a hearing. | 现在人们单凭怀疑就会被关 没有正当手续 没有听审 |
[30:43] | As for foreign nationals, forget it. | 对外国人 更别提了 |
[30:45] | they can be deported even if they’re for what they say or think, completely law-abiding. | 他们会因为所说所想而被驱逐出境 即使行为上完全守法 |
[30:49] | They can be kept from ever entering this country under the ideological exclusion rule, | 他们会被根据思想排除原则 禁止入境 |
[30:52] | again, based on what they say or think. | 还是仅仅根据所说所想 |
[30:54] | All this accomplished by a bill that our leaders rushed to pass, | 这一切都是因为一个法案 双子大厦倒塌后六周 |
[30:58] | just six weeks after those towers came down. | 国家高层们匆匆通过的法案 |
[31:03] | Did you… Read the patriot act, judge? | 您看过这个爱国法案吗 法官? |
[31:06] | Members of congress certainly didn’t. | 国会议员自然没有 |
[31:08] | It was pushed through with so much haste, | 它被通过得如此匆忙 |
[31:10] | there was almost no deliberation | 几乎是未经审议 |
[31:13] | because few if any members had bothered to read it… of the house or senate | 因为如果两会议员们曾受累看一看… |
[31:17] | Most still haven’t… | 很多人至今没有 |
[31:18] | A bill that mocks our constitution and moves us ever closer to tyranny. | 一个嘲笑宪法 把国家推向暴政的法案 是不应通过的 |
[31:23] | We now round up suspects and throw them in detention camps, | 如今我们将嫌疑犯扔进隔离营 |
[31:27] | claiming they’re not prisoners of war | 宣称他们不是战犯 |
[31:29] | so that we may torture them in violation of the geneva convention. | 这样就能违反日内瓦公约 对他们严刑拷打 |
[31:33] | We set up these camps in cuba and other foreign locations. | 我们在古巴和其他一些国家 建立拘留所 |
[31:36] | This is not something done by a government with moral integrity. | 这不是一个有道德操守的国家会做的事 |
[31:40] | It does not reflect a nation with a conscience. | 代表的不是一个有良知的民族 |
[31:43] | and let’s talk about the torture. | 让我们看看那些酷刑 |
[31:45] | This isn’t slapping around some suspect who knows of a ticking bomb. | 那不是体罚嫌疑犯 逼问炸弹下落 |
[31:48] | We now use torture as a matter of course. | 我们已经把酷刑当作家常便饭 |
[31:51] | we use it against people just to see if they have information, any information. | 我们折磨人们 只为知道他们是否有情报 任何情报 |
[31:56] | Torture is no longer the exception, but the rule. | 酷刑不再是特例 而是常规 |
[31:58] | It’s systemic. | 它被系统化 |
[31:59] | Waterboarding, sexual humiliation,extreme psychological and physical abuse… | 水封闭审讯 性羞辱 极端身心虐待… |
[32:05] | We all know the horrors of abu ghraib. | 我们都知道阿布格莱布的恐怖事件 |
[32:07] | and those orders came from the very top. | 那些指令都是来自国家高层的 |
[32:10] | George bush knew and approved of these tactics, | 乔治-布什知道并批准这种战术 还有拉姆斯菲尔德… |
[32:14] | as did rummy, condi, dick, ashcroft, tenent, even colin powell. | 赖斯 切尼 阿什克罗夫特 特尼特 甚至科林-鲍威尔 |
[32:18] | They all knew and participated in creating the policy, as did many others, | 他们都知晓并参与制订此政策 还有其他很多人 |
[32:22] | and yet not one high-ranking officer | 然而至今没有一个政要高官 |
[32:25] | or member of this administration has been held accountable, not one. | 被追究责任 一个都没 |
[32:31] | We set up these secret prisons using techniques modeled on the dungeons of egypt. | 我们利用类似埃及地牢的技术 建立起这些秘密监狱 |
[32:36] | We chain prisoners to ceilings, to simulated drownings we subject them or sexual abuse. | 用铁索把犯人吊在天花板上 实施模拟溺毙 性虐待 |
[32:40] | This is not moral leadership. | 这不是道德的领导方式 |
[32:42] | This is not the conduct of a country that regards the law or respects human rights. | 这不是一个相信法律 尊重人权 的国家会做的事 |
[32:48] | and the country I speak of or even north korea. is not egypt or saudi arabia | 我提到的这个国家不是埃及 沙特阿拉伯 也不是朝鲜 |
[32:52] | It’s the united states of america… my country, your country. | 而是美利坚共和国 你我的祖国 |
[33:01] | Denny crane said to me that I cannot know | Denny Crane说我无法理解那种感觉 |
[33:07] | the experience of lying down at night and facing the idea of losing america. | 晚上睡下 满心恐惧美国会灭亡 |
[33:14] | Since september 11, 2001, | 自从2001年9月11日起 |
[33:17] | I think most of us have and imagined exactly that. laid down on many a night | 我想我们很多人都在一个个夜晚 经历过同样的恐惧 |
[33:22] | But I wonder, what is it about america that we most fear losing? | 但我想问 什么是我们最害怕美国失去的? |
[33:27] | and I wonder, how much of that have we lost already? | 我还想问 已经失去了多少? |
[33:34] | The town of concord… What can it really do,stage a protest, | 康科德能做些什么呢 抗议? |
[33:38] | have a rally,a parade, call a press conference? | 集会 游行 或者新闻发布会? |
[33:40] | would that even make the news? | 能上新闻吗? |
[33:42] | But threaten to secede, that would get some attention. | 但威胁要独立 终于得到了些关注 |
[33:46] | and if you look at all the facts here, | 如果您看看这的现实 |
[33:48] | you’ll see concord isn’t really seeking to leave america at all. | 会发现康科德并非真想脱离美国 |
[33:52] | It’s america that has left them. | 而是美国背离了它 |
[33:54] | And, of course, ultimately, concord will not be allowed to secede. | 当然 最后康科德是不可能被允许独立的 |
[33:56] | we all know that. | 我们都知道 |
[33:57] | But if you quash this at the summary judgment stage, | 但如果您在即决审判时就撤消此案 |
[34:01] | you will, in effect, be ruling are not even legitimate. that their concerns | 您等于裁决他们的观念不合法 |
[34:04] | And how can any true american conclude that? | 一个真正的美国人 怎么能得出这样的结论? |
[34:12] | We stand here today asking you to defend a democracy | 我们今天在此 请求您捍卫民主 |
[34:16] | that our congress and our president refuse to defend. | 我们的国会和总统不愿捍卫的民主 |
[34:19] | We’re asking you to stand up for the constitution, | 我们请求您维护宪法 |
[34:21] | which every judge is duty-bound to protect. | 每个法官都有责任维护的宪法 |
[34:24] | we ask you to stand up for an america that, 60 years ago, | 我们请求您捍卫美国 一个60年前 |
[34:27] | our soldiers stormed a beach in normandy to defend. | 我们的士兵冲上诺曼底海滩保卫的国家 |
[34:32] | This case is personal to you, and it’s personal to me. | 你对这个案子是有私人情结的 我也有 |
[34:35] | It’s personal to everyone in this courtroom. | 这房里的每个人都有 |
[34:39] | I love this country, denny. | 我爱这个国家 Denny |
[34:43] | I just… | 我只是… |
[34:46] | Sometimes, I just don’t recognize it anymore. | 有时 我不再认识她 |
[35:25] | All rise | 全体起立 |
[35:43] | I, like many americans, am horrified,that our government tortures prisoners of war | 我 就像许多美国人一样 震惊于政府虐囚事件 |
[35:51] | that we’ve turned our police powers…Many of them illegal… against our own | 我们的警力 被非法地被用来对付自己的人民 |
[35:55] | if the goal of the terrorists was to knock down democracy, citizens. on 9/11 | 如果911恐怖分子的目的是攻陷民主 |
[36:00] | then they surely have succeeded. | 那么他们完全成功了 |
[36:03] | But i, like many americans, care more about grandchildren… the protection of our children, | 但我 就像许多美国人那样 更关心保护自己的孩子 孙儿 |
[36:10] | Than I do our nation’s ideals. | 甚过考虑民族理想 |
[36:13] | I do not doubt for a moment that the government is acting in good faith to make us safe. | 我一刻也不曾怀疑 政府是为了保障安全才这么做 |
[36:19] | No do I doubt that if there’s any time in our nation’s history | 也不曾怀疑 如果有那么一个时刻 |
[36:21] | when we must simply stick together, it is now. | 需要我们的人民团结一致 那就是现在 |
[36:28] | The concerns and questions you have raised, Mr. Shore, | 你提到的那些担忧和疑问 Shore先生 完全合法 |
[36:33] | are indeed legitimate, but I cannot and I will not allow to stand | 但我不会也不愿同意康科德 |
[36:38] | concord’s motion to secede from this country. | 试图独立的动议 |
[36:44] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[36:53] | Still undefeated. | 保持不败啊 |
[36:54] | Never in doubt. | 从无疑问 |
[36:56] | How about our friendship? | 那我们的友谊呢? |
[36:58] | A man is never so rich as he is with friendship… | Alan…一个人不可能得到 比友谊更可贵的东西 |
[37:03] | Except when he’s got $50,000. I thought we doubled it. | 除非是五万美元 我以为翻倍了呢 |
[37:06] | I’m gonna give you half off ’cause I like you. Okay. | 给你打个对折 因为我喜欢你 |
[37:13] | Walk out with me? | 一起出去? |
[37:15] | Please. | 请 |
[37:34] | Men’s room. | 男卫生间 |
[37:36] | I got it wrong. | 我错了 |
[37:38] | No biggie. The stalls are empty. | 没什么 都没人 |
[37:40] | I got it wrong about your no longer being a brilliant attorney. | 我错了 说你不再是个杰出的律师 |
[37:44] | seems you still are. | 看来你宝刀未老 |
[37:48] | sex? | 做爱? |
[37:51] | Not tonight. | 今晚不 |
[37:53] | Oh. I had a dream. | 我有个梦 |
[37:55] | You and I were swimming in my pool buck naked. | 你和我赤身裸体在我游泳池里游 |
[37:59] | We began to make ferocious love. | 我们开始了狂热的性爱 |
[38:00] | You screamed so loudly the police came and looked over the fence | 你高声尖叫 警察透过栏杆看了眼 说 |
[38:03] | and said, “oh, that’s just crane, pooland schmidt.” | “哦 只是Crane泳池和Schmidt” |
[38:11] | And on that lovely note, good night, denny. | 为了这可爱的故事 晚安Denny |
[38:15] | And way to go. | 厉害啊 |
[38:37] | She’s still in love with me. | 她还爱我 |
[38:43] | Everybody loves a winner. | 谁都爱赢家 |
[38:47] | You were pathetic, trying to get me to wear that minuteman outfit. | 你真可悲 想骗我穿上民兵制服 |
[38:54] | You wore it before. | 你以前就穿过 |
[38:58] | I actually did listen to your closing. | 我有认真听你的结词 |
[38:59] | Almost made me cry. | 几欲落泪 |
[39:02] | Really? | 真的? |
[39:03] | Yeah, ’cause for a second there, I thought you’d win. | 是啊 因为那么一小刻 我以为你要赢了 |
[39:07] | let me ask you a question. | 让我问你个问题 |
[39:08] | Don’t you get tired of going on and on and on like that? | 一次又一次这样没完没了 你不累吗? |
[39:13] | yes. | 是啊 |
[39:15] | When you think of the hours standing in front of a jury… and hours I’ve spent | 每当想到自己日复一日地站在法庭上 |
[39:20] | Let’s not. | 那就别了 |
[39:23] | Jerry said something about how don’t tend to the friendships in our lives. | Jerry说了些关于 我们如何不照顾友情的话 |
[39:28] | We do, every night, right here. | 我们有照顾 每晚 此地 |
[39:31] | Yes, but… | 是 但… |
[39:34] | When I consider my job, with all those closings… | 当我想到自己的事业 那些陈词… |
[39:37] | Endless closings. Many of them quite personal… | 没完没了的陈词 很多话都是很私人的.. |
[39:39] | long-winded closings. All right. | – 冗长的陈词 – 好啦 |
[39:41] | What’s your point? | 你想说什么? |
[39:42] | My point is, I’ve spent perhaps most of my adult life | 我想说 我长大后就几乎一直在 |
[39:47] | talking and talking and talking to strangers. | 不停地对着陌生人 说啊说 |
[39:52] | Why don’t people ta more time to be with the ones they love? | 为什么人不多花些时间和爱的人一起呢? |
[39:56] | Why don’t we take more vacations? | 为什么我们不多休些假呢? |
[39:57] | we keep talking about going fishing again. | 我们总在说钓鱼 |
[39:59] | – Alan… My god, you bought a trout from a pet store. | – 老天 你都从宠物店买鳟鱼了 |
[40:03] | Alan… Let’s go. Now. | 我们去吧 就现在 |
[40:07] | I’m being serious, denny. So am i. | – 我在说认真的 Denny – 我也是 |
[40:11] | Let’s hang the “gone fishin'” sign on the door and go. | 挂个”外出钓鱼”在门上 然后出发 |
[40:16] | Where? | 去哪? |
[40:18] | We’ll start with the charles river, | 我们从查理士河出发 |
[40:21] | go from there. Road trip, you and me. | 一路旅行 你和我 |
[40:22] | Don’t tease me. I’ll do it. I’m not teasing. Let’s go. | 别开玩笑 我会当真的 我没开玩笑 走吧 |
[40:25] | We’ll camp, we’ll fish, we’ll toast marshmallows. | 我们可以野营 钓鱼 烤药属葵 |
[40:28] | Same tent. | 一个帐篷 |
[40:29] | Separate sleeping bags. Come on. Nature awaits. | 两个睡袋 来吧 自然在召唤 |
[40:33] | oh, god. Why’d you You know I hate nature. have to bring up nature? | 上帝 你干吗要提自然啊? 你知道我讨厌大自然 |
[40:37] | I’ll hold your hand. | 我会握着你的手 |
[40:39] | What was that quote you said from ralph waldo emerson? | 你引用爱默生那话怎么说来着? |
[40:42] | he said quite a few things. | 他说过不少 |
[40:44] | “a friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” | “朋友是大自然的杰作” |
[40:52] | can’t remember what I had for breakfast, but that I remember. | 可以忘了早餐吃什么 但决不会忘了这个 |
[40:55] | You constaly surprise me. | 你总是让我吃惊 |
[40:57] | Keeps the love fresh. | 保鲜这感情 |
[41:01] | Alan… | Alan… |
[41:04] | Let’s go fishing. | 我们去钓鱼吧 |
[41:09] | Let’s go fishing. | 我们去钓鱼 |
[41:21] | * 有些地方 我会永远记得 * | |
[41:26] | * 永生不忘 即便一些已沧海桑田 * | |
[41:31] | * 一些依然毫无起色 * | |
[41:35] | * 有些已逝 有些依存 * | |
[41:40] | * 每个地方都保有回忆 * | |
[41:46] | * 爱人和朋友 我始终铭记 * | |
[41:50] | * 有些已逝 有些依存 * | |
[41:55] | * 终此一生 爱他们的心从未改变 * | |
[42:05] | * 终此一生 爱他们的心从未改变 * | |
[42:05] | * 终此一生 爱他们的心从未改变 * |