时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Boston Legal?? | |
[00:02] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[00:03] | I’m afraid of clowns. | 我怕小丑 |
[00:05] | – what’s going on? – He’s afraid of clowns. | – 怎么了? – 他怕小丑 |
[00:06] | I am not. | 我没有 |
[00:07] | Shirley’s the onefor me,alan. | Shirley是我的真命天女 Alan |
[00:09] | I don’t think it’s working out. | 我觉得没前途了 |
[00:11] | – What isn’t working out? – Us. | – 什么没前途了? – 我们俩 |
[00:12] | Whatever you need,shirley, a shoulder,a hug,an erection. | 不管你需要什么 Shirley 肩膀 拥抱 勃起… |
[00:16] | Melvin palmer.How are you? | 我是Melvin palmer 你好吗? |
[00:18] | You’re not gonna be cheerfulabout all this,are you? | 你不是很兴奋吧 是吗? |
[00:20] | You know,I have been told to keep my exuberance down | 我被告知要保持低调 |
[00:22] | until people have hadtheir morning coffee. | 直到人们喝完他们的早餐咖啡 |
[00:24] | And you,mr.Shore,you’re a hoot,that’s what. | 至于你 Shore先生 你是个傻冒 |
[00:26] | – You know what you are? – A hoot. | – 你知道你是什么? – 傻冒 |
[00:28] | With a capital “h,”that’s what you are. | 特大号傻冒 你就是 |
[00:53] | I say we just leave. | 我说我们走吧 |
[00:54] | We can’t just leave. | 我们不能走 |
[00:55] | He’s doing this on purpose, not arriving on time. | 他故意不准时到达 |
[00:57] | – This is – don’t let him get to you. | – 这是… – 不要让他影响你 |
[01:06] | Your honor,given thatthe defendant’s lawyer has failed to so much as appear, | 鉴于对方辩护律师还没有出现 |
[01:10] | I ask the court to summarily directa verdict for the plaintiff | 我恳请法庭直接判原告胜诉 |
[01:13] | and order worldwide picturesto pay damages– | 并要求国际影片公司赔偿损失 |
[01:15] | – in the amount – sorry I’m late,judge. | – 金额总计 – 对不起我来晚了 法官大人 |
[01:16] | Big dig traffic. | 大塞车 |
[01:18] | I need a hovercraft,that’s what I need. | 我需要一个气垫船 这正是我需要的 |
[01:19] | Hey,al. | 嘿 Al |
[01:20] | How we doin’,sunshine? | 你好吗 阳光? |
[01:22] | Mr.Palmer,the courthas repeatedly directed you | Palmer先生 法庭已经多次提醒你 |
[01:25] | not to refer to the stenographeras “sunshine. | 不要把速记员称作 阳光 |
[01:28] | Well,maybe she should stopbrightening everybody’s day with the smile of hers, | 也许她该停止用她的笑容 照亮每一个人 |
[01:31] | that’s what she should do. | 她该做那样 |
[01:33] | Mr.Palmer,for the last time,I will ask you, | Palmer先生 我最后要求你一次 |
[01:36] | please stop wasting the court’s time. | 请不要浪费法庭的时间 |
[01:39] | Perhaps you should tell himhe’s a hoot. | 也许你该告诉他他是个傻冒 |
[01:41] | No,that’s what you are,with a capital “H.Judge, | 不 你才是 还是个特大号的 法官 |
[01:44] | as for your time,it was my hope to settle this little dispute,but my good friendl. | 为了节省时间 我希望和解这场小争论 但我的好朋友Al |
[01:49] | I am not– over here refused toeven meet with me,that’s what he did,hence– | – 我不是… – 那位 甚至拒绝见面 因此 |
[01:53] | yes,because I’ve sufferedthe stench and revulsion of meeting with you before, | 是的 因为我此前见面 只觉得恶臭和反感 |
[01:57] | and for the record,the idea of your friendshipmakes me want to throw up. | 而且 你的友谊实在让我作呕 |
[02:01] | – Looks like somebody’s gota bug up. – Am I right,jerry? | – 看来有些人激动了 – 我说对了吗 Jerry? |
[02:04] | Gimme a pop,my man. | 给我一砰 伙计 |
[02:06] | tell you what,judge, | 告诉您吧 法官大人 |
[02:08] | my goal was to give mr.Beckham heresome money– | 我的目标是给Beckham先生一些钱 |
[02:11] | heaps of it,truth be told– | 一大堆 老实说 |
[02:13] | but mr.Bug-up-his-snoot refused all offers and– | 但气歪了鼻子先生拒绝了所有出价 |
[02:16] | my client’s daughterwas murdered as a direct result of your client’s conduct. | 你的委托人行为 直接导致我委托人女儿被谋杀 |
[02:21] | Money is not about to make himwhole, nor will it have any… | 钱不能让她复活 也没有任何… |
[02:24] | but money is what lawsuitsare about,al. | 但钱是诉讼的目的 Al |
[02:27] | Am I right,jerry? | 对吗 Jerry? |
[02:28] | Two pops for a yes. | 两声砰表示赞同 |
[02:29] | this casecould have settled,judge, should have settled, | 这案子本可以庭下和解的 法官大人 应该和解的 |
[02:32] | would have settled,but mr.Tongue-flapper herelikes to get on his soapbox. | 能够和解的 但舌头打架先生 想登上他的演讲台 |
[02:37] | That’s what he does. | 那就是他做的 |
[02:38] | Your time isbeing wasted here, I agree,but not by yours truly. | 你的时间被浪费了 我同意 但不是被我 |
[02:43] | My client has the right to suethe party who wronged him. | 我的委托人有权起诉侵权的一方 |
[02:46] | That’s why we’re here. | 这是我们在此的原因 |
[02:48] | And as for what lawsuitsare about,mr.Palmer… | 至于诉讼的目的 Palmer先生 |
[02:51] | flap,flap,flap– | 舌头动啊 动啊 动啊 |
[02:52] | only man I know who can fire upand shoot a breeze at the same time,you big hoot,you. | 我唯一知道的能同时突然发火又闲聊 的人就是你了 你这大傻冒 |
[02:57] | Put a button it for me,jerry. | 帮我按下按钮吧 Jerry |
[02:59] | Bring it home. | 安全回本垒吧 |
[03:27] | Boston Legal Season 4 Episode 15 | 庸俗报道之国 |
[03:32] | so are you two getting seriou no,serious? | – 你们俩来真的 – 不 真的 |
[03:34] | Look,we just started dating,shirley. | 我们刚开始约会 Shirley |
[03:36] | You’re having sex? | 你们做爱了? |
[03:36] | I-I don’t think that’s really a discussion we need to have,do you? | 我不认为我们应该讨论这个 你说呢? |
[03:39] | Uh,I’ll have it. | 我想知道 |
[03:41] | oh,my god. | 我的天 |
[03:43] | My god. | 我的天 |
[03:44] | You look exactly the same. | 你还是老样子 |
[03:47] | – It’s so good to see you. – Another old boyfriend? | – 见到你太好了 – 又一个前男友? |
[03:48] | The oldest. | 最早的一个 |
[03:49] | I can’t believe it. | 难以置信 |
[03:50] | – What has it been,30,40 years? – Oh,I don’t know.Something like that. | – 有多久了30 40年? – 我不知道 差不多吧 |
[03:54] | I-I actually came ’cause I could use your help,shirl. | 我实际上是来找你帮忙的 Shirl |
[03:59] | I’ve gotten myself into a little bit of trouble. | 我遇到一点儿小麻烦 |
[04:04] | – Tell me. – Uh,well. | – 告诉我 – 好吧 |
[04:07] | things haven’t been going exactly. | 最近我过得 |
[04:09] | well for me lately. | 不怎么样 |
[04:11] | And by “lately,” I should say since the war,the one in vietnam. | 说到”最近” 我该说从战争起 越南战争时 |
[04:15] | – I heard you hit a rough patch. – Yeah,well. | – 我听说你跌倒了谷底 – 是啊 |
[04:18] | had my good times,bad times,like most folks, | 我的好时光 坏时光 像许多人一样 |
[04:22] | but.at least I managed to stay out of jail, by god,until,uh,maybe now. | 但至少我一直没坐牢 感谢上帝 直到最近 |
[04:29] | What happened? | 怎么了? |
[04:30] | Well,I–the police arrested me for… | 警察逮捕了我 因为 |
[04:35] | seems I ate a seal. | 我吃了海豹 |
[04:39] | – y-you ate a seal? – Well,I’m a fisherman. | – 你 你吃了海豹? – 我是渔夫嘛 |
[04:42] | You know me.It’s in my blood. | 你知道的 我骨子里就是 |
[04:43] | Problem is I’m a– I’m a lousy fisherman. | 问题是我是个糟糕的渔夫 |
[04:46] | and,well. | 然后… |
[04:48] | see,what happens is I go two, three hours without a nibble, | 两三个小时都没有鱼咬钩 |
[04:51] | and then I-I pick up my double-aught and I just.boom! | 然后我抓起我的枪 砰! |
[04:54] | And shoot myself a seal! | 给我自己打了只海豹! |
[04:56] | I mean,they’re good eating. | 我是说 它们很好吃 |
[04:57] | They–they really are. | 真的 |
[04:59] | And plus. | 再加上 |
[05:01] | cupboard’s a little bare,truth be told. | 橱柜都空了 老实说 |
[05:04] | You’re under the impression they want actual jail time here? | 你觉得他们为这个要把你关进监狱? |
[05:09] | I shot more than one. | 我杀了不止一只 |
[05:14] | they’re very good eating. | 它们很好吃 |
[05:19] | He served in vietnam, foregoing college when he got home. | 他在越南服役 想回来好读大学 |
[05:23] | I–I’d heard that he fell on hard times, but I-I hadn’t really kept in touch. | 我听说他过得很艰难 但我没怎么联系过他 |
[05:28] | How many seals are we talking about? | 我们在谈论多少海豹? |
[05:30] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[05:30] | I–I’m not sure he’s altogether sound. | 我觉得他听起来不是很正常 |
[05:32] | He–he thinks ashcroft trojan-horsed the public defender’s office. | 他认为Ashcroft用木马计 谋得了公共辩护律师的职位 |
[05:36] | – Denny – Shirley – Denny. – Shirley. | |
[05:39] | Carl | Carl. |
[05:40] | Denny,I’m–I’m feeling a draft. | Denny 我感觉有阵风 |
[05:42] | Do you not feel it? | 你没觉得吗? |
[05:44] | Let me tell you something, if we had a draft, | 我告诉你吧 如果我们有阵风 |
[05:45] | we’d put a real surgeon those terrorists in baghdad, | 我们会给巴格达的恐怖分子 一场真正的风暴 |
[05:48] | and we wouldn’t have to fightthis war with mercenaries, | 我们就不用跟雇佣兵打仗了 |
[05:50] | at a fraction of the cost. | 花点零头就够了 |
[05:51] | You can quote me on that. | 你可以引述我 |
[05:54] | How’s it going hmm. | 还好么? |
[05:57] | What? | 怎么了? |
[05:59] | Oh,I’ll bet you think I don’t know that I’mwalking around in my boxers. | 我打赌你会说我也许不知道 我现在穿着内裤跟你说话 |
[06:01] | For your information, I knowfull well I’m not wearing pants. | 但是 我知道我现在我没穿裤子 |
[06:04] | And here I was,underestimating you. | 我看来又低估你了 |
[06:06] | I spilled something on them. | 我洒了些东西弄脏了裤子 |
[06:07] | Choice was to go around lookingincontinent or eccentric. | 你可以看起来小便失禁或者假装古怪 |
[06:11] | Which would you choose? | 你会选哪个? |
[06:12] | You might choosenot to walk around at all. | 你也许该别到处乱走 |
[06:14] | Just a thought. | 这是我的想法 |
[06:15] | Sit,on my own,in my room? | 要我单独坐在我的办公室里? |
[06:17] | Life’s a cabaret,man. | 人生是来享受的 伙计 |
[06:23] | He is getting worse.You do realize that. | 你认识到他的情况在继续恶化 |
[06:27] | I’ll talk to him. | 我会跟他谈的 |
[06:40] | And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. | 我想跟你共度今生 |
[06:43] | Jody | Jody. |
[06:45] | will you marry me? | 嫁给我 好吗? |
[06:50] | uh,steve,uh,I don’t know what to say. | Steve 我真不知道该怎么说 |
[06:52] | I-I.we broke up. | 我们已经分手了 |
[06:55] | It’s the reason why I’m on this program. | 这也是我来这节目的原因 |
[06:58] | I–I’m trying to move on with my life. | 我想继续我的生活 |
[07:01] | I know,and I-I want to start over. | 我知道 我也想跟你 |
[07:03] | you and me. | 重新开始 |
[07:05] | I can’t marry you,steve. | Steve 我不能嫁给你 |
[07:09] | I–it’s time for me to move on. | 是时候我该向前走了 |
[07:11] | I–I’ve told you this. | 我 我已经告诉你了 |
[07:14] | it’s okay,it’s okay. | 没事的 没事的 |
[07:24] | mr.Beckham,that wasyour daughter on the talk show? | Beckham先生 那是不是你女儿? |
[07:27] | Yes.She had been somehow convincedby the show’s producers to go on | 是的 她不仅被那制片人说服应该 |
[07:31] | and discussher relationship problems in front ofa national television audience. | 继续在全国观众面前谈论她的私事 |
[07:36] | And steve was her boyfriend? | Steve是他的男友? |
[07:37] | Ex-boyfriend,and as you can tell, | 前男友 你也看到了 |
[07:40] | she was totally unpreparedfor a marriage proposal. | 她对求婚毫无心理准备 |
[07:43] | And what happened afterthe taping of this program? | 而在节目拍摄后 又发生了什么? |
[07:49] | After the airingof the program,steve wentto my daughter’s apartment, | 节目播出后 Steve去我女儿的住所 |
[07:54] | and he murdered her. | 并谋杀了她 |
[07:56] | He stabbed her 16 times. | 他一共捅了她16刀 |
[08:00] | Sir,to your knowledge, did steve haveany history of violence? | 你知不知道Steve可否有暴力倾向? |
[08:04] | Yes,he had been physicallyabusive to jody many times. | 我知道 他之前也多次对Jody施暴 |
[08:07] | That was the primary causeof their breakup. | 这是她们分手的主要原因 |
[08:10] | On two occasions,dy called the police because he got physicalwth her, | 她还告诉过制片人 |
[08:15] | which she toldthe television producers. | 她两次因为此事而报警 |
[08:19] | First of all,it should be said, my heartgoes completely out to you. | 我想先说 我真的为此事感到痛心 |
[08:26] | It alsoprobably should be said there’s no mileageon that heart, | 他也该说明他并不是真心的 |
[08:28] | so in effect,you’d be getting a new one. | 所以 你可以无视他的心情 |
[08:31] | Mr.Shore. | Shore先生 |
[08:32] | He’s a quipster,that’s what he is. | 他很喜欢讽刺别人 不用理他 |
[08:34] | Sir,your daughter knew thisyoung man better than dr.Ray | 你的女儿比任何人都了解他 其中也包括Ray博士 |
[08:39] | or anyof the television producers over at worldwide pictures. | 和任何国际影片公司的制片人 |
[08:42] | Am I right about that? | 我说的对吗? |
[08:44] | Probably. | 也许 |
[08:45] | And afterthis television program was taped and aired, | 在这节目拍完和播出后 |
[08:49] | did she have reason to believe this young manmight endanger her life? | 她有任何原因会担心他会危及她的生命吗? |
[08:54] | – I don’t know. – Well. | – 我不知道 – 怎样来说 |
[08:56] | she never called the police to say she was in fear. | 她从未此而报警 |
[08:59] | Did she call you? | 她有没有给你打电话? |
[09:01] | She said that she was worried about how he might react. | 她说她担心她前男友可能会有反应 |
[09:04] | She told me that. | 她告诉我这些 |
[09:05] | Did you do anything? | 你有没有采取任何行动? |
[09:09] | I mean,if a father thoughthis daughter was in danger, | 我是说 如果父亲担心女儿的安危 |
[09:13] | I assume he’d take steps, that’s what I assume. | 我会认为他会有所防范 |
[09:17] | What did you do? | 你做了任何防范吗? |
[09:20] | The fact is,no reasonable personwould’ve seen this coming. | 事实是 没人能预料到这事会发生 |
[09:24] | Right,mr.Beckham? | 对不对 Beckham先生? |
[09:26] | Not your daughter,not you. | 你女儿和你都没预料到 |
[09:31] | nobody. | 没人预料到 |
[09:41] | So. | 所以 |
[09:42] | I spoketo the U.S.Attorney handling the matter | 我跟办案的联邦检察官谈了 |
[09:44] | – and? – And you’ve been arrestednine times. | – 结果呢? – 你已被捕9次了 |
[09:48] | Each time,you promisenot to do it again, | 每次 你都承诺不会再犯 |
[09:50] | and then boom,there goes another seal. | 之后 你又继续捕猎海豹了 |
[09:52] | I’m trying to quit. | 我现在正试着不去捕猎了 |
[09:55] | Ethan,I–I’m going to say this as your lawyerand your friend– | Ethan 作为你的律师和朋友 |
[10:02] | I-I don’t thinkyou’re entirely stable. | 我认为你的精神状况不太稳定 |
[10:06] | Is anybody? | 这世上还有精神稳定的人吗? |
[10:08] | Have you thoughtof seeing a doctor to get any help? | 你有没有去找过医生求助? |
[10:12] | Well,I have no insurance. | 我没有保险 |
[10:13] | Well,how can that be?You’re a veteran. | 怎么会呢? 你是老兵呀 |
[10:15] | Right,there’s overtwo million of us without insurance,shirl. | Shirl 全国有超过2百万老兵都没保险 |
[10:18] | I mean–george–our fearless leader, he cut enrollmentfor, | 我是说 我们无畏的领导George |
[10:22] | uh,veterans earning more than $28,000. | 他不接受年收入高过2万8千元的人登记 |
[10:24] | For some families. | 和其他家庭 |
[10:27] | when was. | 你上一次 |
[10:28] | the last timeyou saw a doctor? | 去看医生是什么时候? |
[10:31] | Three years ago. | 三年前 |
[10:33] | I was diagnosed as bipolar, likely sufferfrom post-traumatic stress. | 我被诊断为躁郁症 可能是由 创伤后压力症引起的 |
[10:38] | I was put on lithium,which helped. | 我服用锂盐后 有所好转 |
[10:39] | Uh,but since. | 但是现在 |
[10:42] | my insurance lapsed,I haven’T. | 我的保险过期了 |
[10:44] | taken anythingfor,you know, a few years,but I’M. | 这几年我都没吃药 |
[10:48] | still charming. | 我还是很人见人爱的 |
[10:51] | I’d like to go witha diminished capacity defense. | 我想利用心智能力衰减为你辩护 |
[10:54] | No!I’m not crazy.I may have my issues, but I am not insane. | 不! 我不是疯子 我也许有个人问题 但我不是疯子 |
[11:01] | I needed to eat. | 我需要吃饭 |
[11:03] | You knowwhat would be crazy? | 你知道什么才叫疯吗? |
[11:05] | what would be crazy is if I just let myself starve to death. | 我让自己活活饿死才是疯子 |
[11:16] | It’s not thatI can’t handle defeat, | 不是我不能接受失败 |
[11:18] | – but if I loseto melvin palmer – have you ever lost to him? | – 但是败给Melvin Palmer – 你之前被他击败过吗? |
[11:23] | No. | 没有 |
[11:24] | But no matterhow hard I smack him down, he just keepsgetting back up again. | 但是不管我如何摁倒他 他总是会笑哈哈的起来 |
[11:29] | He reminds meof this inflatable bobo doll I had as a kid. | 他令想起我小时候的不倒翁 |
[11:33] | I’d knock it down, and it wouldcome back up,smiling. | 你把它给打倒后 它总会又笑嘻嘻的站起来 |
[11:36] | I hated that bobo doll,the way it just keptpopping back up,mocking me. | 我恨死不倒翁了 恨它不停的站起来 并嘲笑我 |
[11:42] | One day I finally. | 有一天 我终于 |
[11:45] | stabbed it. | 把它给捅了 |
[11:46] | You stabdyour bobo doll? | 你捅坏了你的不倒翁? |
[11:51] | I murderedseveral of my toys. | 我还谋杀了好几个玩具 |
[11:54] | – Is that bad? – Well. | – 不好吗? – 这个嘛 |
[11:57] | I sank some boatsin a lake,buried a truck. | 我沉了几艘船 埋了一辆卡车 |
[12:04] | I abandoned mr.Machinein a park. | 我把Machine先生扔在公园里 |
[12:07] | Did you haveany stuffed animals? | 你有没有过毛绒动物玩具? |
[12:10] | I only had one,a teddy bear, when I was very young. | 我很小的时候 有一个泰迪熊 |
[12:14] | Did you kill him? | 你也把它给杀了? |
[12:15] | no,of course not. | 不 当然没有 |
[12:23] | We did part on bad terms. | 我们最后的关系很差 |
[12:26] | He would always judge mein such A. | 他总用一种眼神来看着我 |
[12:29] | I donated him to one of those. | 我把它捐赠到一个… |
[12:32] | used toy banks. | 二手玩具站 |
[12:38] | What? | 什么? |
[12:49] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[12:50] | Boxing. | 拳击 |
[12:51] | Interactive video. | 利用互动视频 |
[12:55] | – um,denny,the–the gams not on. – I’m in training. | – Denny 游戏没开 – 我在训练 |
[12:58] | I can neverbeat the black guy. | 我老是打不赢那个黑人 |
[13:01] | I gotta be ready. | 我得准备好 |
[13:03] | What? | 什么? |
[13:04] | – That just soundeda little racist,that’s all. – Oh,please.I’m not racist.It’s the game. | – 听起来有点种族主义而已 – 得 我可不是种族主义分子 是那游戏 |
[13:08] | At the easy levels, they giveyou a scrawny white guy. | 在简单的关 他们会给你个瘦的白佬 |
[13:10] | At the more difficult levels, big black killer thug or a muslim terrorist. | 在较难的关 会派个大块头黑人杀手 或一个穆斯林恐怖分子 |
[13:16] | Denny,do you wantto grab dinner sometime? | Denny 我们什么时候一起吃顿饭吧? |
[13:19] | Why? | 为什么? |
[13:20] | Well,nothing. I just thoughtwe’d catch up a little. | 没什么 我只是觉得我们续下旧 |
[13:22] | What’s the catch? | 你想干嘛? |
[13:24] | There’s no catch. | 这不是陷阱 |
[13:25] | It’s– well,actually, it’smy new year’s resolution– | 这 实际上 是我的新年决心 |
[13:27] | try to reconnectwith people I care about, | 试着和我关心的人修补关系 |
[13:29] | and since I care about you– just yea or nay? | 既然我关心你 只要说 好还是不? |
[13:32] | Yea. | 好 |
[13:33] | Great,and,um,if youthink of it,wear pants. | 很好 如果你想起来的话 穿上裤子 |
[13:38] | She loves me. | 她是爱我的 |
[13:39] | I knew it. | 我就知道 |
[13:55] | There wasno indication anywhere that this young mancould be homicidal. | 没有迹象表明 这个年轻人有谋杀倾向 |
[13:58] | Well,let’s be fair now. | 现在让我们公平点 |
[14:00] | He had been violent. | 他有过暴力史 |
[14:01] | He never endangeredanybody’s life. | 但是他从来没威胁到别人的生命 |
[14:03] | Plus,msbeckhamhad been warned that these tapingswere often volatile, | 另外 我们警告过Beckham女士 录像时经常会出现意外事件 |
[14:07] | that they evoked strong emotional responsesfrom guests. | 它能导致嘉宾强烈情感反应 |
[14:11] | She signed a waiver. | 她签了弃权书 |
[14:13] | Did she know that you plannedto bring her ex-boyfriend on? | 她是否知道 你计划把她前男友带到节目上? |
[14:16] | She was told that we may. | 我们告诉过她 我们可能 |
[14:18] | But this was a stapleof our program. | 但是这是我们节目的一个重轴戏 |
[14:20] | We were always bringingthe exes on, the abusive fathers. | 我们常会把前男女友 虐待孩子的父亲们带上台 |
[14:23] | This is what “dr.Ray”is all about– cathartic confrontation. | 这就是”Ray博士”的关键– 渲泄对质 |
[14:28] | Now when you told her that you were gonnabring on her ex-boyfriend, | 那你候告诉她 你准备把她前男友带来 |
[14:32] | – did–did she object? – No. | – 她反对过吗? – 没 |
[14:35] | Absolutely not. | 绝对没 |
[14:37] | So she assumed the riskof being murdered? | 那么她自己承担了被谋杀的风险? |
[14:40] | – That’s a cheap shot. – Oh,come on,mr.Hamilton, | – 这也太卑鄙了 – 得了 Hamilton先生 |
[14:42] | the staple of your program,as you readily admit, | 正如你所承认的 你节目中的重轴戏 |
[14:45] | is to inflame,to stir upcathartic confrontation. | 在点燃 在煽动所谓的宣泄对质 |
[14:49] | Here you hada volatile ex-boyfriend who had a history of abuseand physical violence– | 你带了个情绪极不稳定的前男友 而且他有虐待和身体暴力史 |
[14:54] | she’s the personthat knew him best, and she never once– | 她是最了解他的人 她从来没… |
[14:57] | and you were more than tickledto exploit her bad judgment. | 你巴不得利用她低下的判断力 |
[15:00] | By the way,how many timeshave you rerun that particular episodewhere he proposed marriage, | 顺便问一句 求婚的桥段你重播多少次? |
[15:05] | the onethat led to her murder? | 这个导致她被谋杀的桥段? |
[15:08] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[15:09] | My count is three, including once after he killed her. | 我数了一下是三次 还有次是在她被杀后 |
[15:12] | Wheneversomething bad happens, we all feel a needto blame somebody. | 当不幸的事情发生后 我们总觉得要找人责备 |
[15:16] | Hell,I do it. | 我这样 |
[15:17] | You do it.We all do it. | 你这样 我们都这样 |
[15:19] | I move thatthis man be sanctioned. | 我请求制裁这个人 |
[15:21] | – sanctioned? – For continuing to disruptmy cross-examination. | – 制裁? – 因为他不停打断我的交差询问 |
[15:24] | – That bug’s gone deeper up,that’s what it’s done. – It’s a deliberate attemptto blunt my questions. | – 这个虫子爬进去了 这就是实情 – 他企图故意弱化我的提问 |
[15:25] | – we need to get an exterminator in here. – distract the jury. | – 我们这需要瓶杀虫剂 – 转移陪审团的注意力 |
[15:27] | – Before it gets to his brain. – No won.it’s willful,illegal… | – 在它进入他大脑前 – 无望取胜 故意的 不合法的 |
[15:28] | shut up,you bobo-head! | 闭嘴 你这摇头娃娃! |
[15:36] | you called him thatin open court? | 你在公开法庭上这样叫他? |
[15:37] | It’s like he– I seem to regressto a child when. | 好像他 我好像那时候倒退成一小孩 |
[15:43] | denny,did you ever murderany of your toys as a child? | Denny 你小时候有没有杀过玩具? |
[15:47] | I shot my flat screensuper bowl sunday. | 我超级碗时把平板电视嘣了 |
[15:49] | No,but growing up,did you ever visit your toyswith violence? | 不是 成长过程中 你有没很暴力的去惩罚你的那些玩具? |
[15:54] | Well,my war toys,I’d blow them up, and some of my sister’s dolls, | 我的战争玩具 我把他们炸了 还有我妹妹的一些娃娃 |
[15:59] | I’d twist their heads offafter I finished, | 完事后我把他们的头拧了下来 |
[16:01] | um,you know,t-touching them,and,uh. | 你知道的 摸她们… |
[16:05] | why are you looking at melike that? | 你为什么这样看着我? |
[16:07] | Why is everybody looking at mefunny these days? | 为什么如今大家都这么奇怪地看着我? |
[16:10] | What are you doingwith the onion? | 你拿着个洋葱干什么? |
[16:13] | Well,I’m having dinnerwith shirley. | 我准备和Shirley共进晚餐 |
[16:15] | I plan to cry. | 我准备哭 |
[16:17] | Sorry? | 什么? |
[16:18] | Well,I remember when shefirst fell in love with me. | 我记得当她当初爱上我的时候 |
[16:20] | She thought I was vulnerable. | 她觉得我非常脆弱 |
[16:22] | So tonight I plan to cry. | 所以我今晚计划哭 |
[16:24] | Like,uh,robert frost said,” no tears for the writer,no sex. | 罗伯特・弗罗斯特说过 作者不落泪 就没性福 |
[16:28] | He said,”no tears for the writer, no tears for the reader. | 他说的是 作者不落泪 读者也不会落泪 |
[16:31] | Whatever.I’ll pull a muskie. | 管它是什么 我会钓上一条大梭鱼 |
[16:33] | It worked for hillaryfor about a week. | 在希拉里(克林顿)身上好用 一个礼拜 |
[16:35] | Only problem is I can’t cry without an onion. | 唯一的问题就是没洋葱的话 我哭不出来 |
[16:41] | Tear ducts are all shot. | 泪腺都空了 |
[16:46] | We’d gotten reportssome old guy was shooting seals. | 我们收到报警说 有个老家伙在射海豹 |
[16:49] | We went down to the pier,and we saw him. | 我们赶到码头 看到他 |
[16:50] | In the boston harbor? | 在波士顿港? |
[16:51] | Yeah,in this 5-foot,rickety old skiff with a fishing rodand a shotgun. | 是的 在这个5尺长破旧的小船上 有只钓杆和一杆鸟枪 |
[16:56] | Did you ever actuallyse him shoot a seal? | 你目击到他朝海豹开枪? |
[16:59] | On more than one occasion. | 不止一次 |
[17:01] | He told you he was fishingin order to eat? | 你告诉过你他钓鱼是为了吃? |
[17:03] | Yes,but the marine mammalprotection act expressly makes sealsa protected species, | 是的 但在海洋哺乳动物保护法里 明确规定海豹是受保护品种 |
[17:08] | which we informed him ofmany,many times. | 这点我们已经告诉他很多次了 |
[17:11] | I saw in youpolice report you made mention ofmy client’s mental status. | 我注意到你在一份报告 提到我当事人的精神状态 |
[17:16] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:17] | Do youememberwhat you said? | 你还记得你报告中说的吗? |
[17:19] | I said he appearedmentally unbalanced. | 我说他好象不太稳定 |
[17:23] | – You deliberately defied me. – No,I did not. | – 你故意违抗我 – 不 我没有 |
[17:25] | I asked you not to make itabout that, | 我告诉过你不要这样 |
[17:27] | – and you did. – No. | – 但是你还是这样做了 – 不 |
[17:28] | I was just layingthe groundwork to negate mental intent, | 我只是做点铺垫 来否定心理动机 |
[17:32] | ema mental,which is one elementof this crime. | 心理 是这个罪行的要素之一 |
[17:34] | I don’t want to be called crazy. | 我不想被称为疯子 |
[17:35] | – I’m not doing that. – Yes,you are. | – 我没这样做 – 不 你做了 |
[17:38] | I am a war hero. | 我是个战争英雄 |
[17:40] | I earnedthe right to be proud. | 我争取到了自豪的权利 |
[17:41] | I am not a victim. | 我不是一个受害人 |
[17:43] | I am not a victim. | 我不是一个受害人 |
[17:46] | I don’t need anybodyfeeling sorry for me. | 我不要别人的可怜 |
[17:51] | Okay. | 好 |
[17:53] | I hear you. | 我听见了 |
[17:55] | now you need to hear me. | 现在你必须听我说 |
[17:57] | You must let me fight this caseon the elements, one elementbeing mental intent. | 打这场官司 你必须让我利用犯罪要素 心理动机是其中之一 |
[18:03] | Otherwise,you’re looking at prison. | 不要然 你就得进监狱了 |
[18:29] | Denny,do you know what. | Denny 你知道… |
[18:35] | – I’m afraid to even ask. – Keep a secret? | – 我都不敢问了 – 保密? |
[18:38] | This water packgoes in my pocket, I hit this remote, | 把这个水包放在我口袋里 我按这个遥控器 |
[18:41] | the watergoes through the tubes,into the wires. | 水通过导管 流到线上 |
[18:45] | tears. | 泪水 |
[18:47] | – And the point is? – To show I’m vulnerable. | – 目的是? – 表现出我的脆弱 |
[18:50] | I need to impress shirleywith my sensitivity. | 我要给Shirley看我是很善感的 |
[18:52] | Tip her off,and you’re fired. | 如果你向她告密 就会被炒 |
[18:54] | Well,might the desired effectbe blunted by the sight of all that technologyon your cheeks? | 效果会不会因脸上的线而受影响呢? |
[18:59] | Ah,we’ll cover it with makeup, and if my fa is swollen, | 我会化妆把它掩饰起来 如果我的脸显得很肿 |
[19:02] | I’ll tell herI’ve been drinking. | 我会告诉她我喝多了 |
[19:04] | Denny,this is preposterous,even for you. | Denny 就算是你 这事情也太荒谬 |
[19:07] | this is groundsfor the rubber room,even. | 这甚至够把你送进精神病院的 |
[19:09] | Gosh,carl. | 唉 Carl |
[19:10] | that hurts my feelings. | 这很伤我 |
[19:34] | know what I loveabout the human spirit? | 知道我喜欢哪点人类精神吗? |
[19:36] | Our compassion. | 我们的同情心 |
[19:38] | Our capacity to feel sorryfor those in pain. | 我们对那些悲伤的人们感到遗憾 |
[19:43] | Hell,we hada case last year– | 去年有个案子 |
[19:45] | a woman sueda department store because she trippedover a toddler. | 一个妇女控告百货公司 因为她自己绊倒了个刚学步的孩子 |
[19:49] | Jury handed hera 6-figure verdict. | 陪审团判给她六位数的裁决 |
[19:51] | Never mind the fact thatthe toddler she tripped over was her own child. | 不用在意 被绊倒的就是她自己的孩子 |
[19:55] | I kid you not. | 我没哄你们 |
[19:57] | Juries can get nuttywith compassion sometimes. | 有时候陪审团过分富有同情心 |
[20:02] | That man lost his daughter. | 这个人失去了他的女儿 |
[20:05] | Now you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t want to lessenhis pain any way you could. | 如果你们不想尽力来减轻他的痛苦 那就太不近人情了 |
[20:10] | But let’s be fair. | 但是我们要公平点 |
[20:12] | No one could havepredicted this, not even the victim, | 没人能预料到 就算是受害人也没想到 |
[20:15] | the one who knew him besT. | 最了解他的人 |
[20:18] | And by the way,she was the one who rejected his proposalon national television. | 顺便说一句 是她 在全国人观看的节目中拒绝了他的求婚 |
[20:24] | She could’ve said,”let’s talk about this later,” | 她本可以说 “我们以后在谈这个问题” |
[20:26] | but she chose to turn him downwith cameras rolling. | 但是她选择在镜头下拒绝了他 |
[20:30] | And even afterit all went wrong, | 即使事情麻烦了之后 |
[20:32] | she never said to the policeor– or even to her own father, | 她也没跟警察说 或甚至跟她自己的父亲说 |
[20:35] | “hey,I thinkhe’s a risk to my safety.” Why? | 嘿 我觉得他对我的安全是种威胁 为什么? |
[20:39] | She couldn’t predict that. | 她没法预知到这些 |
[20:43] | Neither could my client. | 我的当事人也没法预知 |
[20:45] | As much. | 尽管 |
[20:48] | as you feel for this man– and you all should,he lost his little girl– | 你们同情他– 应该这样 他失去了他的小女孩 |
[20:56] | cry for him,pray for him,but don’t get nutty. | 我们可以为他哭泣 为他祈祷 但是不要狂热 |
[21:21] | I remember,uh,the movie “network” by paddy chayefsky. | 我记得有部电影 帕迪・查耶夫斯基的”电视台风云” |
[21:26] | It depicted,uh,the extremesand perversities | 里面描述了 |
[21:30] | that television would resort tofor the sake of ratings. | 电视台为了争取收视率 而使用的一些无所不及的手段 |
[21:33] | It was a filmway ahead of its time,and yet, | 这部电影领先于它的时代 |
[21:36] | now it seems dated given the depths to whichtelevsion has sunk. | 现在根据电视所沦落到的等级 好象过时了 |
[21:41] | I doubt even chayefsky couldever. | 我怀疑连查耶夫斯基自己 |
[21:43] | have imagined putting contestants on a programto eat worms | 能想出让一群竞争者上电视 让他们吃虫子 |
[21:46] | or raw animal parts or women humiliating themselves,uh,to marry fake millionaires. | 生吃动物 或是让女人嫁个冒牌百万富翁 自取其辱 |
[21:52] | One network made a deal for O.J.Simpson | 有家电视台还和OJ 辛普森做了笔交易 |
[21:55] | to doa prime-time special on how he might have killedhis ex-wife. | 用黄金时段来播 他会怎么策划杀他的前妻 |
[22:00] | Television is a noble beast,isn’t it? | 电视台是只高贵的野兽 是吗? |
[22:03] | Well,the shame is,it once was,and to many,it still should be. | 但是 可惜的是 它曾经是 对很多人来说 它应该还是 |
[22:07] | Television took us to the moon. | 电视把我们带上月球 |
[22:10] | It let us cry togetheras a nation when a beloved presidentwas assassinated. | 当我们敬爱的总统被暗杀时 让我们举国聚在一起痛哭 |
[22:15] | Its unflinching and comprehensive coveragein vietnam served to end that war. | 它坚定而全面地向我们报导了越战 导致停火 |
[22:22] | Television gave usedward R.Murrow, | 电视过去让我们认识了R.Murrow |
[22:24] | Walter Cronkite Rod Serling Ernie Kovacs walter cronkite,rod serling,ernie kovacs. | |
[22:27] | We had shows like”the defenders,” “all in the family. | 我们有”The Denfenders”这样的剧… |
[22:30] | ” We–I’m a nostalgia buff myself,but maybe we could stickto current events here. | 我自己本身是个怀旧的人 但是也许我们应该说说眼下的问题 |
[22:33] | – How about it,al? – current events. | – Al 这怎么样? – 眼下的问题 |
[22:35] | How fitting. | 多适合啊 |
[22:37] | One could argue thatthe steep decline of tv began with a showcalled “a current affair,” | 人们认为电视水平直线下滑 起始于一个叫”时事纵横”的节目 |
[22:42] | – which introduced tabloid journalism – headed down memory lane again. | – 这个节目引进了庸俗新闻的概念 – 又沉浸在回忆之中了 |
[22:45] | Will you shut up? | 你能闭嘴吗? |
[22:51] | There used to be standards of excellencein television. | 以前曾经有过优秀节目的标准 |
[22:55] | I’m not talking only aboutemmys and peabodys, | 我不光只在说那些艾美奖和皮博迪奖 |
[22:58] | but not so long ago,broadcasters had a real senseof responsibility. | 但是 还在不久以前 广播公司还真的有责任感 |
[23:02] | They tooktheir statutory obligation to operatein the public interest very seriously. | 他们非常严肃地对待他们的法定责任– 共公利益至上 |
[23:08] | Now the networks look for our guilty pleasures and morbid curiosities, | 而今 这些电视台专们寻找 我们内疚的愉悦 病态的好奇心 |
[23:12] | and pander to those with the hopethat they’ll get us addicted. | 加以勾引 希望我们会上瘾 |
[23:16] | Once you get people hooked, you’ve got ’em, | 一旦让人们上钩 就得手了 |
[23:18] | and you haveo get people hooked because everything today isratings, | 你必须让他们上钩 因为现在收视率至上 |
[23:23] | demographics,market share,money. | 收视群体 市场占有率 钱 |
[23:27] | Even the news divisionsare now profit centers, | 甚至连新闻部也成了个赚钱的窝 |
[23:30] | which means that if good-looking, | 那就是说如果某个好看 |
[23:31] | white-toothed anchors have better tvqsthan credentialed journalists, | 白齿的主持人在台里 比某个有资历的记者占的份额更大 |
[23:34] | you get the eye candy,and if positive coverage of the war in iraqreaches more households, | 帅哥会赢 如果更多家庭 看到伊拉克战争正面报道 |
[23:39] | you get fox news. | 福克斯新闻会赢 |
[23:40] | In fact,today you can switchback | 事实上 如今你可以挑选 |
[23:42] | and forth between the right-wing newsand the left-wing news. | 看右翼新闻还是左翼新闻 |
[23:44] | Whatever happenedto huntley and brinkley, | 不管Huntley或Brinkley怎了么 |
[23:47] | John Chancellor– to news that was just the news? | 新闻对言它只是新闻? john chancellor– |
[23:50] | Now we have partisan junk, appealing to the lowest common denominator. | 现在我们有党派之争的垃圾 迎合最低级的趣味 |
[23:54] | – your honor – which brings us | – 法官大人 – 也即… |
[23:55] | currently tothe program at issue,”dr.Ray. | 我们眼下的问题 “Ray博士” |
[23:58] | Mr.Palmer said his client couldn’t possiblyhave seen this coming. | Palmer先生说他的当事人 绝没可能预到这些情况 |
[24:02] | Well,that simply isn’t true. | 很简单 并不是真的 |
[24:05] | This tragedy was inevitable. | 悲剧是不可避免的 |
[24:07] | It’s practically scripted. | 实际上被安排好了 |
[24:10] | It’s happened before. | 以前就发生过 |
[24:11] | Talk show ambusheshave gone awry, leading to murder or suicide. | 脱口秀埋伏出错了 导致谋杀或自杀 |
[24:16] | This isn’t a first. | 这不是第一起了 |
[24:17] | But here’swhat’s truly horrifying– a tragedy occurred here, | 但是让我们觉得恐惧的是 一个悲剧发生了 |
[24:22] | a woman was killed, but for the show–for the show– | 有个女人被杀 但是这个节目 对这个节目而言 |
[24:26] | the real tragedy was that the killing didn’t happen on the show. | 真正的悲剧在于 杀戮不是在节目上发生的 |
[24:29] | – Oh,your honor,I object. – That would’ve beenthe ratings blockbuster. | – 法官阁下 我反对 – 那绝对是一收视率炸弹 |
[24:31] | That would’ve been the big scoreeverybody was hoping for. | 这正是每个人所希望的大成功 |
[24:35] | But they had to settle forthe next best thing, | 但是他们不得不退而求其次 |
[24:38] | which was thatthe murder became news. | 就是谋杀成为新闻 |
[24:39] | The nightly news is perfectlyhappy to do the job for them. | 而晚间新闻很乐意为他们做这个工作 |
[24:42] | They gave “dr.Ray” all the promotionit could possibly want, | 他们给了”Ray医生”需要的所有宣传 |
[24:45] | airing sensational clipsand graphics from the show again and again and again. | 在节目里面一次又一次的 播放那些感人的片段和画面 |
[24:50] | You see how it all worksso beautifully together. | 你可以看到他们之间完美的合作 |
[24:53] | The girl is killed,the show benefits, the news benefits,and we eat it up. | 女孩被杀 节目受益 新闻受益 我们还全文照收 |
[25:00] | Psychologically damaged peopleare paraded onstage to be exploited,ridiculed,taunted. | 心智不健全的人 站到台上被利用 被嘲笑 被奚落 |
[25:09] | Of course this is what we get. | 当然会这样 |
[25:11] | And we standto get a lot more of it because it sells, | 而且还会有更多这样的节目 因为节目大热 |
[25:14] | and it costs almost nothingto produce, and what’s not to love? | 因为它已经没什么可以做了 怎么不喜欢呢? |
[25:18] | Here we had anmotionallyunstable ex-boyfriend with a history of violence armed | 有个精神不稳定的前男友 他有段暴力史 |
[25:22] | with a marriage proposal certain to be rectedin front of the world, | 还有个必定会当着全世界面 被拒绝的求婚 |
[25:26] | and the fact thatan innocent young woman ended up butchered was good business for all, | 一个无辜的年轻女人被杀的事实 对生意有百利而无一弊 |
[25:30] | just business. | 仅仅是生意而已 |
[25:33] | Well,so is a lawsuit. | 诉讼也一样 |
[25:38] | The most memorable partof the movie “network” was | 电视台风云这部电影中 最让人难忘的部分 |
[25:41] | when howard beale startedshouting on national television, | 当Howard Beale在全国电视上吼到 |
[25:44] | “I’m mad as hell,and I’m notgoing to take it anymore,” | 我已极度疯狂 我再也受不了了 |
[25:47] | and the countryjoined in with him. | 全国人民都加入他的行列 |
[25:50] | You need to join in now. | 你现在就要加入 |
[25:52] | You need to go backto that room and say you’re not gonnasit quietly | 你应该回到那个房间 然后说你不能坐视不理 |
[25:55] | and let these networksassault ecency for profit, | 让这些广播公司为了利润攻击真善美 |
[25:58] | you’re not going to stand for the exploitationof the disenfranchised, | 你们不能支持利用弱势群体的行为 |
[26:01] | you’re sick of the networksdebasing a medium they’re supposed to beguardians of. | 你已经受够了广播公司贬低媒体 他们本来应该是媒体的守护者 |
[26:05] | Don’t take it anymore. | 不要再忍受了 |
[26:06] | Please,pleaseget mad as hell. | 请极度疯狂 |
[26:11] | and don’t take it. | 而且不要忍受 |
[26:14] | anymore. | 下去了 |
[26:40] | – Did you go to college,sir? – NO. | – 先生你有没上过大学? – 没 |
[26:42] | I was draftedright out of high school. | 我读完高中就应征入伍 |
[26:44] | When I got backfrom my tour of duty,well. | 等我的服役结束后回来 嗯… |
[26:48] | you were diagnosed as bipolar,suffering from post-traumaticstress disorder. | 你被诊断患有躁郁症 创伤后应激障碍 |
[26:53] | You were prescribed lithium. | 医生让你服用锂盐 |
[26:59] | I’m not crazy. | 我不是疯子 |
[27:02] | Ethan,let’s–let’s talkabout the seals. | Ethan 我们还是来谈谈海豹吧 |
[27:05] | Mainly,I tried to fish. | 一般来说 我都是去钓鱼 |
[27:07] | I was starving.I harvested some seals. | 我饿得要死 有时候能抓到海豹 |
[27:09] | Did you everapply for welfare? | 你申请过救济金么? |
[27:10] | I don’t believe in handouts. | 我不要嗟来之食 |
[27:12] | If a man can providefor himself,he should, | 如果一个人有能力 他就该养活自己 |
[27:14] | and I could,only the federal governmentwouldn’t let me. | 我有这个能力 只是联邦政府不让我这么做 |
[27:19] | I-I n’t knowwhat to argue,really. | 我实在不知道拿什么抗辩 |
[27:21] | He’s a serial seal killer. | 他是个连环海豹杀手 |
[27:23] | He won’t let youargue insanity? | 他不让你用精神错乱抗辩么? |
[27:25] | Well,I-I couldn’teven if he would. We–we didn’t plead it. | 就算他愿意也不行 我们没提出 |
[27:28] | All I can say,really, | 我能说的只剩下… |
[27:29] | is he lacked the capacity to form the necessary intentto commit the crime. | 他缺乏构思犯罪动机的能力 |
[27:36] | I’m sure you’ll be fine. | 我相信你能处理好的 |
[27:38] | Can you imagine? | 你能想象么? |
[27:40] | He’s out in the harbor in a 5-foot skifftrying to fish,a 60-year-old man. | 他一个六十岁的人 驾一条五英尺长的小船出海钓鱼 |
[27:45] | I know.It’s awful. | 我理解 太不幸了 |
[27:48] | I feel so badly for him. | 真为他感到伤心 |
[27:52] | And a war veteran. | 他还是个退伍老兵 |
[27:56] | d-denny,are you okay? | Denny 你还好吧? |
[27:57] | Well,it’s just the thought of a man starving. | 一想到一个人忍受饥饿 |
[28:03] | – what the – a fisherman to boot. | – 这… – 还是个渔夫 |
[28:05] | I hate it when people starve. | 我痛恨人民忍受饥饿 |
[28:07] | All those little babiesin africa. | 还有在非洲被饥饿折磨的婴儿 |
[28:09] | – is everything all right? – No. | – 您还好吧? – 不好! |
[28:11] | World hunger,darfur,A.I.D.S. | 世界饥荒 达尔富尔 艾滋病 |
[28:14] | Oh,it’s sad,so sad. | 噢 这太不幸了 太不幸了 |
[28:17] | G–for god sake,what have you done? | 天啊 你怎么搞的? |
[28:23] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[28:24] | – I just listened to you. – Stop iT. | – 我只是听了你说的话 – 住手 |
[28:26] | I found my own voice. | 我有感而发 |
[28:33] | why do you have little hosesattached to your face?The truth. | 你为什么把水管装在脸上? 说实话 |
[28:37] | – Well,it’s just that I-I–I didn’t – the truth,denny,or I’m leaving. | – 这只是… 我没有… – 说实话 Denny 不然我就走了 |
[28:40] | No,no,don’T. | 别走 别走 |
[28:45] | it’s just,I. | 我… |
[28:47] | I wanted to make youlove me again. | 我想让你再爱上我 |
[28:50] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[28:51] | I-I wanted you to be remindedof the soft, sensitive me. | 我想让你回忆起那个多愁善感的我 |
[28:55] | You said you wtedto rekindle the old– | 你说你想重温旧情 |
[28:57] | so I thought I’d cinch the dealwith a-a-a few tears. | 我就想要往这火上浇点”油” |
[29:02] | D-denny,I. | Denny 我… |
[29:04] | I’m not lookingto rekindle that. | 我没有打算重燃爱火 |
[29:07] | – You weren’t? – No. | – 你没有? – 是的 |
[29:09] | I-is that what you thoughtthis dinner was about? | 你以为我们吃饭是为了这个? |
[29:13] | No. | 不 |
[29:16] | I was just kidding around. | 我只是开个玩笑 |
[29:18] | Don’t be silly. | 别当真了 |
[29:19] | – Denny,you’re–you’rea-a dear friend,but – I-I gotta go. | – Denny 你是个很好的朋友 但是… – 我要走了 |
[29:29] | – what were you thinking? – I don’t know. | – 你怎么想的? – 我也不知道 |
[29:31] | You wired your facefor tears? | 你往脸上装了水管? |
[29:33] | oh,lay off,will you? | 行了 少说两句吧 |
[29:34] | Hindsight is always easy. | 事后诸葛亮 |
[29:43] | I thought maybe you wereexperiencing issues of guilt over the murder,and well. | 我觉得负罪感比谋杀对你的影响更大 |
[29:48] | you could maybe start over. | 也许你可以重新开始 |
[29:50] | You think you’re funny? | 你觉得你很有趣 是吗? |
[29:51] | – It’s the clown issue,too,isn’t it? – No,no,no,no. | – 还是小丑的问题吗? – 不 不 不 |
[29:53] | It’simply a mocking issuE. | 就是那笑容的问题 |
[29:54] | Look at the way. | 你看它笑的那样 |
[29:56] | take it away.Would you please?Take it away! | 把它拿走 拜托! |
[30:00] | I think you two willeventually work this out. | 你们俩最终会和好的 |
[30:02] | As you say,it’s all harmless pretending. | 如你所说 这都是无害的伪装 |
[30:23] | What are you doing? | 你干什么呢? |
[30:24] | You se no mat–you can’T. | 你看… 不管… 都不… |
[30:27] | it– itlways comes upsmiling,taunting me. | 它总会立起来 嘲笑我 |
[30:29] | It won’t stay down. | 就是打不倒 |
[30:31] | – Jeez,denny. – Well,it’s what you wanted,isn’t it? | – 上帝啊 Denny – 我以为你想这样 |
[30:33] | – You carry a gun on you? – So what? | – 你随身带着枪? – 怎么了? |
[30:35] | I know exactlywhat I’m– judas priest. | 我很清楚我是谁… 天 |
[30:49] | it’s not likewe’re out to get mr.Melman. | 并不是说我们就盯上了Melman先生 |
[30:51] | But he willully,repeatedly, overtly broke a federal law, | 但是他会蓄意地 公然地 接二连三地 践踏联邦法律 |
[30:55] | in a dangerous manner,I might add. | 还是以危险的手段 |
[30:57] | How many times are we gonnalet it go before we finally say, | 到底我们还要容忍多少次才说… |
[30:59] | “enough,we’ gonna prosecuteand put you in prison”? | 够了 我们将起诉你 把你送进监狱 |
[31:11] | When I drive to work,I periodicallycome to street corners | 每当我开车去上班 都会路过街角 |
[31:15] | where homeless vietnam vets or gulf war vetsbeg for food money. | 总会有无家可归的越战老兵 海湾战争老兵在那乞讨 |
[31:20] | I try not to look. | 我尽量不去注意他们 |
[31:22] | It makes me uncomfortable. | 那会让我感到难受 |
[31:24] | Just easierto look the other way,and,boy, have we as a nationdone that. | 装看不见很容易 我们全国都在这样做 |
[31:31] | Thousands and thousandsof vietnam vets have been lost to poverty, | 在这个国家 成千上万的越战老兵 沦落街头 一文不名 |
[31:35] | drugsor suicide in this country,and our statisticson the military in iraq are even worse. | 死于吸毒 自杀 数据表明伊拉克驻军的问题更严重 |
[31:40] | With repeated tours of duty,soldiers are 50% more likely to sufferserious mental illnesses, | 服役期再三延长 士兵们患上 严重精神疾病的可能性高了50% |
[31:46] | including post-traumaticstress disorder. | 包括创伤后应激障碍 |
[31:49] | We’ve all heard about the 4,000 kidswe’ve lost in battle in iraq, | 众所周知 在伊拉克 我们失去了4000多名孩子 |
[31:54] | but here at home,in the year 2005 alone, | 但在国内 仅仅在2005年 |
[32:00] | we had 6,200 scides among those who servein our armed services. | 曾在军队服役的人中 就有6200人自杀 |
[32:05] | It is an epidemic. | 这太广为盛行了 |
[32:06] | Excuse me,but this caseis not about the plight of soldiers that fight in iraq. | 打断一下 这个案子与在伊士兵困境无关 |
[32:10] | It’s about soldiers period, of which my client was one. | 这与从军经历有关 我的当事人恰巧有这钟经历 |
[32:13] | Yes,but are y suggestingspecial treatment for soldiers that break the law? | 你是说我们应该对犯法的士兵 给予特殊对待吗? |
[32:17] | Special treatment? | 特殊对待? |
[32:20] | judge,these veteranssacrificed their lives. | 法官大人 这些老兵奉献了他们的生命 |
[32:23] | Some of them are maimed, some of themare rendered mentally ill, | 有一些受伤致残 有一些罹患精神疾病 |
[32:26] | and we can’t evenguarantee them soup. | 而我们连一碗汤都无法保证他们 |
[32:29] | No,they hardly getspecial treatment. | 他们才没有得到特殊对待 |
[32:31] | The seal seems to. | 反而海豹得到了 |
[32:33] | We can shoot coyotes, hunt moose,slaughter cattle– | 我们可以射杀土狼 捕猎驯鹿 屠宰牛羊 |
[32:37] | let’s not even discusswhat we do to chickens– | 更不用说对鸡禽做了什么了 |
[32:39] | but we actually have a lawprotecting the seal. | 但唯独设置一条法律保护海豹 |
[32:42] | Why?They’re not endangered. | 为什么? 他们可不是濒危动物 |
[32:44] | Is it because they’re cute,easy to look at, | 是因为他们长得可爱? |
[32:45] | as opposed to starving, mentally ill war veterans? | 看着它们比看着饥饿的 患精神疾病的退伍老兵容易多了? |
[32:51] | we’re the united states– the richest nationin the world– | 我们是美利坚合众国 全球最富的国家 |
[32:56] | and we abandon our vets. | 我们却抛弃了我们的老兵 |
[32:58] | We let them starve. | 让他们食不果腹 |
[32:59] | We do not take care of them. | 我们不闻不问 |
[33:02] | But,hey,as long as we slapa bumper sticker on our car that sayswe support our troops, | 但只要我们在车上贴着 “我们支持我们的军队”的贴纸 |
[33:08] | I-I guess it’s okay. | 我猜 那就够了 |
[33:11] | Ethan melmanis a war-decorated hero. | Ethan Melman是一名授勋英雄 |
[33:14] | He returned suffering frompost-traumatic stress disorder. | 他回国后被创伤后应激障碍折磨着 |
[33:17] | It made holding down employmentdifficult, so his insurance lapsed, | 这使得他很难坚持工作 所以他的保险过期了 |
[33:21] | and he didn’t get treatment, and he began to starve. | 病了没法治 进而饿了没饭吃 |
[33:26] | He didn’t rob anybody, he didn’t break into a bank | 他没有去打劫任何人 也没去抢银行 |
[33:29] | or knock over a liquor store or snatch a popsicleout of someone’s hand. | 也没去抢贩酒店 也没从谁手中抢走过一个雪糕 |
[33:36] | He went fishing. | 他只是去钓鱼 |
[33:38] | Perhaps hunting. | 或者说打猎 |
[33:40] | And the federal government, instead of offering him a meal, | 而联邦政府非但没有给他一顿饭吃 |
[33:43] | decides to spend $30,000 to $40,000of money we do not have to offer him a jail cell. | 反而要花宝贵的三四万美元 让他在监狱里生活 |
[33:52] | Special treatment?No. | 特殊对待? 不需要 |
[33:55] | Decent treatment might be nice. | 优待就好了 |
[34:23] | $750,000.Take it or leave it. | 75万美元 不能再高了 |
[34:30] | Leave it. | 不要 |
[34:31] | Alan,if they find hercontributarily negligent,we could get nothing. | Alan 如果他们认定过失相抵的话 我们一分钱也得不到 |
[34:35] | – Jerry – Plus,on foreseeabity – jerry. | – 另外 还有不可预知性 |
[34:38] | Ticktock. | 时间很紧哦 |
[34:40] | Your call. | 你说吧 |
[34:41] | – Alan! – I think we’ll get more. | – 我认为我们能得到更多 – Alan! |
[34:44] | I think we’ll get more. | 我认为我们能得到更多 |
[34:46] | We are at the buzzer. | 该投压哨球了 |
[34:51] | Rejected. | 拒绝 |
[34:54] | you heard him,mr.Palmer. | 你听到了 Palmer先生 |
[34:55] | Members of the jury, have you reached a verdict? | 陪审团成员是否 得出定论了? |
[34:59] | We have,your honor. | 是的 |
[35:00] | And what say you? | 你们的判决结果是? |
[35:01] | Uh,”we the jury,” in the matter of beckham vs. | 陪审团宣布 在Beckham起诉国际影片公司 |
[35:04] | Worldwide pictures,” find in favorof the plaintiff, | 的案子中 原告获胜 |
[35:07] | and we order the defendantto pay damages in the amountof $4.3 million. | 我们判决被告赔偿损失四百三十万美金 |
[35:13] | – Did–did he just say – your honor, | – 他 他刚刚说 – 法官大人 |
[35:15] | I ask thatthe verdict be set aside on groundsof being excessive. | 我要求以不合理赔偿为由 取消判决 |
[35:20] | Mr.Palmer. | Palmer先生 |
[35:22] | shut up. | 闭嘴 |
[35:24] | all right,the jury is excused with the court’s thanks. | 感谢陪审团的服务 你们可以走了 |
[35:29] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[35:31] | Disappointed,melvin? | 失望了 Melvin? |
[35:32] | Three pops for yes. | 三砰表示赞同吧 |
[35:34] | I gotta hand it to you,al, a hoot till the end. | 我还是得说 Al 你是个彻头彻尾的傻冒 |
[35:38] | That’s me. | 正是我 |
[35:39] | Hell,I get paidwin or lose. | 管它呢 不管输赢我都有钱拿 |
[35:41] | Hell,now thatwe get to appeal, I just made more money,that’s what I did. | 我们要上诉 我只会得到更多钱 这就是我做的 |
[35:58] | busy. | 很忙 |
[36:02] | Denny | Denny. |
[36:09] | Shirley | Shirley. |
[36:10] | why did youinvite me to dinner? | 你为什么请我吃晚餐? |
[36:14] | Because I adore you. | 因为我喜欢你 |
[36:18] | I’ve let some friendshipseither atrophy or. | 我让某些友谊要不萎缩 |
[36:22] | and well. | 要不… |
[36:25] | I suppose. | 我觉得 |
[36:26] | I’m worried about you. | 我很担心你 |
[36:29] | that’s it?You’re–you’re worried about me? | 就这么简单? 你担心我? |
[36:32] | Denny,you’re walking aroundwithout your pants o,your face wired for tears. | Denny 你不穿长裤到处跑 为了流泪在脸上装水管 |
[36:37] | I explained the pants. | 我解释了裤子的事情 |
[36:39] | The tears were for you. | 眼泪是为了你 |
[36:44] | Y-you don’t see usgetting back together at all? | 你觉得我们完全不会再好上了? |
[36:47] | It’s so farbeyond the bucket? | 一点希都没有了? |
[36:49] | – Pale. – What? | – 戏 – 什么? |
[36:51] | It’s “beyond the pale,”not the bucket. | “一点戏都没有了” 不是”希” |
[36:53] | Shirley | Shirley. |
[36:54] | we love each other. | 我们爱彼此 |
[36:58] | I do love youdenny,but not in a romantic way. | 我是爱你 Denny 但不是爱情 |
[37:03] | Oh,come on,shirley. | 少来了 Shirley |
[37:05] | At our age,if our heart skips a beat, it could kill us. | 在我们的年纪 要是心停跳一下 会出人命的 |
[37:10] | You gotta give up on this. | 你得放弃这些 |
[37:13] | romance thing. | 浪漫的念头 |
[37:18] | Nobody ever gives up on it. | 没人放弃它 |
[37:24] | – judge is back. – Thank you. | – 法官回来了 – 谢谢 |
[37:28] | Denny Nny. | |
[37:29] | you’re not in triaL. | 你没案子 |
[37:30] | It’s my judge. | 是我的法官 |
[37:38] | Had a little malfunction on the tear machine. | 眼泪机器有点故障 |
[37:45] | gotta getthe kinks worked out. | 得把这问题解决了 |
[37:50] | Once I do,I’ll. | 一旦解决了 我会… |
[38:11] | I realize our nationhas a deficit, and we can’t feed everybody, | 我意识到国家有财政赤字 不能养活每个人 |
[38:15] | nor get them health insurance. | 也不能保证医疗保险 |
[38:17] | But it seems to me,if a soldier risks his lifein battle for this country. | 但对我而言 如果一个战士 冒着生命危险为我国作战 |
[38:24] | this country owes him somethingin return, if not legally,morally. | 国家欠他一些作为回报 如果不是法律上的 也该是道义上的 |
[38:29] | I find mr.Melman not guilty. | 我裁定Melman先生无罪 |
[38:32] | – Ohmy! – We are adjourned. | – 哦! – 休庭 |
[38:34] | – Thank god. – thank you,shirley. | – 谢天谢地 – 谢谢你 Shirley |
[38:37] | you saved my life. | 你救了我的命 |
[38:38] | How about I take youto dinner to celebrate? | 我带你去吃晚餐庆祝如何? |
[38:41] | I know a cozy placethat serves marine mammals. | 我知道一个很不错的餐厅 有海洋哺乳动物可吃 |
[38:43] | Well,I–if you don’t mind, I think I’m gonna pass. | 如果你不介意 还是算了 |
[38:49] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:50] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:52] | Thank you,shirley. | 谢谢你 Shirley |
[38:55] | I-I will pay my bill. | 我 我会付帐的 |
[39:19] | and he just continuedto smile as if he’d won, | 他还是微笑 就好像他赢了一样 |
[39:23] | that same horrific grinas the bobo doll. | 和不倒翁一样可怕 |
[39:32] | as much as I wantedto help my client in this case, | 尽管我很想帮我的客户 |
[39:34] | I’m ashamed to admit,my overriding drivewas to beat melvin palmer. | 我不得不承认 我最主要是想 打倒Melvin Palmer |
[39:40] | I knowit sounds crazy,but he really did bring backmemories of the bobo doll. | 这听起来很疯狂 但他真的 勾起了我不倒翁的回忆 |
[39:45] | It would justkeep popping back up with that expression. | 它只是带着那样的表情弹回来 |
[39:49] | you lose! | 你输了! |
[39:53] | lorraine thinksit’s self-loathing on my part. | Lorraine认为是我的自我厌恶 |
[39:55] | We’re all victimsof our childhood, one way or another. | 我们都是自己童年的阴影 这样或那样 |
[40:01] | I’m sorryabout things with shirley. | 关于Shirley我很抱歉 |
[40:05] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[40:08] | que saran,saran. | 该去的总会去 |
[40:12] | Sera. | 来 |
[40:14] | Really?I thought it was saran. | 真的? 我以为是去 |
[40:16] | – No.Sera. – What’s saran? | – 不 是”来” – 那”去”是什么? |
[40:19] | It’s a-a wrap,keeps sandwiches fresh. | 是一种包装 三明治保鲜的 |
[40:26] | See,if I had been the one to break it off with shirley. | 你看 如果是我和Shirley分手的 |
[40:29] | ah,it’s all male ego anyway,like you having toprove yourself in court. | 那都是男人的自负 就像你不得不在法庭上证明自己 |
[40:36] | We’re hard-wired.That’s,uh. | 我们天生就这样 |
[40:38] | just don’t wantto be seen as losers. | 只是不想被当作输家 |
[40:43] | I think we live our livesso afraid to be seen | 生活中我们太怕被人看作软弱 |
[40:46] | as weak that we die perhaps withoutever having been seen at all. | 也许至死 人们也不会那么看我们 |
[40:54] | Denny,do you ever worrythat when you die, people will never havetruly known you? | Denny 你是否担心过当你死了 人们都永远不曾真正了解你? |
[41:00] | I don’t want ’em to know me.I want them to believe my version. | 我不想要他们了解 我想要他们相信我的观点 |
[41:06] | Besides. | 另外 |
[41:08] | you know me. | 你了解我 |
[41:11] | That’s enough. | 这就够了 |
[41:16] | Lorraine thinks, until I get professional help, | Lorraine认为 除非我得到专业帮助 |
[41:18] | I will forever be disabled | 我会永远不能 |
[41:20] | when it comes to forging a truly intimate relationshipwith somebody. | 和别人真正恋爱 |
[41:26] | Who needs one? | 谁需要? |
[41:27] | Well,I’ll tell you something, you’ve got one with me. | 我来告诉你 你跟我就是 |
[41:30] | You have met somebody who likes you for who you are. | 你已经遇到喜欢真你自我的人 |
[41:33] | And cigars,scotch– that’s a true relationship. | 雪茄 威士忌 这是真正的恋爱 |
[41:38] | And. | 还有 |
[41:41] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[41:44] | Bonus points. | 额外分 |
[41:49] | so I’m all right. | 所以我没事 |
[41:50] | Yeah,we both are. | 我们都是 |
[41:52] | That’s whywe like to sit out here. | 这就是为什么我们喜欢坐在这儿 |
[41:55] | It reminds us. | 它提醒我们 |
[41:58] | we’re all right. | 我们没事 |