时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on “Boston Legal”… | |
[00:02] | mr. And mrs. Ivan tiggs. | Ivan Tiggs先生和太太 |
[00:04] | I think ivan is cheating. | 我觉得Ivan对我不忠 |
[00:06] | Cheating… on you,his wife? | 不忠… 对你 他的妻子? |
[00:08] | The important part is that you did the brave,honorable,honest thing by telling me. | 重要的是你勇敢和令人敬佩的 把一切如实的告诉了我 |
[00:12] | And I still want you to represent me. | 所以我依然想要你来做我的律师 |
[00:14] | My name is leigh swift. | 我的名字是Leigh Swift |
[00:15] | – This box… – is my lover. | – 这个箱子… – 是我的爱人 |
[00:17] | Would you like to get a drink with me? | 你愿意和我去喝一杯吗? |
[00:19] | if you don’t want to date me anymore,please just be honest with me. | 如果你不想再和我约会了 请和我直说 |
[00:22] | I’m quite sympathetic to the condition of objectophilia, | 我对恋物癖患者十分同情 |
[00:25] | but if your girlfriend cheats on you with a clock radio and runs off with an iphone, | 不过要是你的女朋友与闹钟偷情 并和一个iPhone私奔 |
[00:29] | she’s bonkers,and you’d best be done with her. | 她就是个疯子 你最好和她分手 |
[00:42] | Llo! | 嗨! |
[00:45] | Missy | missy. |
[00:46] | Bet you’re surprised to see me. | 见到我一定很意外吧 |
[00:49] | well… | 的确… |
[00:50] | I’m here under the most wonderful and tragic of circumstances. | 我现在正处于悲喜交加的境地 |
[00:58] | So… | 那么… |
[00:59] | first the good news– I’ve been in therapy… | 先是好消息… 我正在接受治疗… |
[01:01] | after ivan crushed me like a bug! | 在Ivan把我像只虫子一样捏死之后! |
[01:04] | Therapy’s going well,I see. | 治疗的效果不错 我看出来了 |
[01:06] | Oh,it is. | 哦 是的 |
[01:07] | Very innovative. | 很有新意 |
[01:09] | Created by two geniuses at emerson. | 是由2个在艾默生工作的天才发明的 |
[01:11] | Maybe you’ve heard of it. | 你可能听说过 |
[01:13] | It’s called “life is a song.” | 这个治疗的名字是”生活如歌” |
[01:15] | Basically they teach you to look at the world as one big musical. | 他们主要教人们把生活 看成一部大音乐剧 |
[01:18] | I’m thriving under it. | 它让我更积极的面对生活 |
[01:20] | No matter how low things could get… | 不管发生多糟糕的事… |
[01:27] | I get the idea. | 我明白了 |
[01:29] | anyway,I met someone. | 反正 我遇到了一个人 |
[01:32] | And get this– he’s a beautiful african man. | 听我说…他可是个非常好看的非洲人 |
[01:37] | And he speaks perfect english. | 并且说着一口流利的英语 |
[01:38] | He was born and raised in the states. | 他是在美国出生并成长的 |
[01:40] | His great-grandparents moved here years ago. | 他的曾祖父辈 在许多年前就移居美国了 |
[01:43] | So he’s african-american then. | 这么说他是个非裔美国人了 |
[01:45] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[01:46] | And it gets even better. | 更好的还在后面 |
[01:48] | It couldn’t possibly. | 不是吧 |
[01:50] | We’re pregnant. | 我有了他的孩子 |
[01:51] | I’m having an african-american baby. | 我怀了一个非裔美国人的孩子 |
[01:55] | having his baby | 怀了他的孩子 |
[01:58] | what’s the tragic part,beside the music? | 那悲剧部分是什么? 除了这个音乐之外… |
[02:02] | Oh,yes. | 哦 对了 |
[02:03] | Well,he doesn’t want to have it. | 呃 他不想要这个孩子 |
[02:05] | Claims he never meant to get me pregnant. | 说他从没打算让我怀孕 |
[02:07] | Haven’t we all heard that? | 听起来很耳熟吧? |
[02:08] | Well,did he? | 那么 他到底有没? |
[02:09] | Actually,no. | 的确没有 |
[02:11] | we only went out twice,actually, | 事实上 我们只约会了2次 |
[02:13] | but because I want to have a family and there’s that biological clock to worry about, | 不过由于我一直想组建个家庭 加上考虑到自己的年龄问题 |
[02:18] | I made a teeny-weeny little deposit of his seed thingy in the sperm bank. | 我把他那小小的精子存进了精子库 |
[02:23] | Well,why did he give you his sperm if– | 呃 他为什么会给你精子? 如果他… |
[02:25] | well,he didn’t exactly give it to me. | 其实也不能算是他给我的 |
[02:27] | I played a little unzippedy-do with his fly thingy, | 我打开了他”小弟弟”的门 |
[02:31] | and I “persuaded him” with “oral arguments.” | 并用我的嘴”说服”了他 |
[02:35] | Then I put his african-american seed in a test tube,and I fertilized my egg. | 然后 我把他的非裔美国种 放进了试管来给我的卵子受精 |
[02:40] | That’s how you got mr. Sperm? | 你就是这样得到精子的吗? |
[02:43] | and now he says he’s going to sue me. | 现在他说他要起诉我 |
[02:48] | can you imagine? | 你能想到吗? |
[02:49] | Set out my little honey trap,now I’m having an african-american baby | 我当初略施小计 现在就有了自己的非裔美国混血儿 |
[03:23] | Boston Legal Season04 Episode12 | 波士顿法律 |
[03:31] | Hello,jerry. | 嗨 Jerry |
[03:34] | Leigh | Leigh. |
[03:37] | Hello,leigh. | 你好 Leigh |
[03:40] | Jerry… | Jerry… |
[03:42] | I know we parted in an awkward way, | 我知道我们分手的方式很糟 |
[03:45] | for which I’m ashamed,but I’m not here about that. | 我很不好意思 但是我来此的目的并不是这个 |
[03:50] | I’m afraid I need a lawyer. | 我恐怕需要找个律师 |
[03:52] | I’ve been fired from my long-standing teaching position. | 我失去了自己长期耕耘的教师岗位 |
[03:55] | What’d you do,give tongue to a locker? | 你做什么了? 和储物柜接吻吗? |
[03:58] | that was mean. | 这么说很刻薄 |
[03:59] | Dumping me for a smartphone was mean. | 为了一个智能手机而甩了我才叫刻薄 |
[04:04] | wh-why did they discharge you? | 他们为什么要解雇你? |
[04:06] | Because I hugged a student. | 因为我拥抱了一个学生 |
[04:08] | Not sexually. | 与性无关 |
[04:09] | – Not like I would a- – a clock radio. | – 不像我和… – 闹钟收音机 |
[04:11] | – Mean! – Meaner! | – 刻薄! – 更刻薄! |
[04:13] | you hugged a student? | 你拥抱了一个学生? |
[04:14] | A student in distress. | 一个情绪低落的学生 |
[04:16] | I went to comfort her. | 我去安慰她 |
[04:18] | My school has a policy– no hugging. | 我们学校有条校规… 不准拥抱 |
[04:20] | This child needed a hug. | 但这个孩子需要拥抱 |
[04:22] | I gave it to her. | 我就拥抱了她 |
[04:24] | I want to sue them. | 我想起诉他们 |
[04:25] | This political correctness crap has gone too far. | 这条该死的校规太过分了 |
[04:30] | Could you help me? | 你能帮我吗? |
[04:48] | Missy tiggs is having yourhild? | Missy Tiggs怀了你的孩子? |
[04:51] | Look,the woman practically raped me. | 听着 这个女人差不多算是强奸了我 |
[04:54] | You know what I’m saying? | 你明白我的意思吗? |
[04:55] | I can’t be with her. | 我不能和她生活在一起 |
[04:56] | Well,mr. Maxwell,you don’t have to be with her. | 好吧 Maxwell先生 你并非一定要和她一起生活 |
[04:59] | But that’s the thing,man. | 但这正是问题所在 伙计 |
[05:01] | That’s the thing. | 问题正在于此 |
[05:03] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:07] | Would you mind telling me the thing? | 你不介意告诉我下问题是什么吧? |
[05:09] | Look,I got causes in my lifE. | 瞧 我这一生有很多理想 |
[05:11] | You know what I’m saying? | 明白我的意思吗? |
[05:12] | Pediatric A.I.D.S. | 关爱艾滋病患儿 |
[05:14] | I give some to your women with breast cancer. | 我为乳腺癌患者捐款 |
[05:16] | I’m a public-minded brother. | 我是个热心公益的人 |
[05:18] | My biggest cause,my thing,is daddy-go-bye-bye. | 我最大的理想 我的使命 就是当个好爸爸 |
[05:23] | Absentee black fathers– | 不称职的黑人父亲… |
[05:25] | it’s a problem in the culture,in the country,and it’s my biggest thing. | 这正是我们文化和国家中的问题 这也是我最大的使命 |
[05:29] | So I got two choices here– | 所以我现在有2个选择… |
[05:31] | be an absentee father or live with missy tiggs. | 做个不称职的父亲 或者和Missy Tiggs生活在一起 |
[05:35] | Well,I’m afraid those are your only two choices. | 恐怕你也只有这2个选择 |
[05:38] | Well,I want to stop it. | 我想要阻止这一切 |
[05:40] | – Stop it? – Yeah,it. | – 阻止这一切? – 没错 这一切 |
[05:42] | I want you to help me stop it. | 我想让你来帮我阻止这一切 |
[05:47] | And again,for clarification,it is? | 为了避免误会 这一切是指? |
[05:50] | Her having my baby. | 她怀着我的孩子 |
[05:52] | Oh,well,I’m afraid you can’t do that. | 哦 恐怕这不行 |
[05:53] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[05:55] | – Well- – you can do it. | – 呃 – 你行的 |
[05:56] | I heard about you. | 我早就听说过你了 |
[05:58] | No,I know they hired shirley schmidt. | 我知道她找了Shirley Schmidt |
[06:00] | And I know you represented that ivan dude against them before. | 我还知道你过去曾经 代表Ivan Dude同她正面交锋过 |
[06:04] | You need to help me… | 你一定要帮我… |
[06:06] | stop it. | 阻止这一切 |
[06:14] | First of all,I should say I’m not a hugger. | 首先 我要申明自己并不是 一个喜欢拥抱的人 |
[06:17] | I find it very difficult to hug,in fact. | 事实上 我很难去和别人拥抱 |
[06:20] | Why is that? | 为什么? |
[06:22] | Well,I’m very uncomfortable with my hands leaving my thighs– | 我的双手一离开大腿就感到不自在… |
[06:25] | but on the day of january 9th,you hugged bonnie taylor. | 但是在1月9号 你拥抱了Bonnie Talyor |
[06:30] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:31] | She had just done poorly on an exam,and she was simply devastated. | 她刚考砸了一次考试 她完全跨了 |
[06:35] | I was talking to her about it. | 我正在开导她 |
[06:36] | She became inconsolable,and I hugged her. | 她变的十分沮丧 于是我拥抱了她 |
[06:40] | You were aware your school has a no-hug policy? | 你知道你们学校有不准拥抱的规定吗? |
[06:44] | Yes,but this student was in distress. | 知道 但是这个学生情绪十分低落 |
[06:46] | She needed comfort. | 她需要安慰 |
[06:48] | And I felt I had to prioritize her needs over the school’s policy in this instance. | 而且在那一刻 我觉得自己有必要 将她的需要摆在校规之前 |
[06:53] | You also made that exception last november when you hugged a different student. | 去年11年 你也同样破例 拥抱了另一个学生 |
[06:57] | A boy,upset over social problems. | 一个为社交问题捆扰的男孩 |
[06:59] | And you were told by the principal not to do it again? | 校长让你别再这样了? |
[07:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:03] | And you made yet another exception the second week of december,hugging yet another student. | 然而你却在12月中旬 又拥抱了另一个学生 |
[07:08] | Again you were told to stop,in fact warned that the next time could be grounds for discharge. | 校长再次让你停止 事实上 他还警告你 下次再犯将被解雇 |
[07:13] | This policy is not right. | 这条校规有问题 |
[07:15] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[07:16] | So you made a decision to defy it. | 所以你就刻意挑衅 |
[07:18] | It’s unfair. | 这不公平 |
[07:19] | Unfair? | 不公平? |
[07:21] | Has the school had a history of treating you unfairly,ms. Swift? | 学校有给过你不公的待遇吗 Swift女士? |
[07:28] | What is objectophilia? | 恋物癖是什么? |
[07:30] | Objection. Irrelevant. | 反对 与本案无关 |
[07:31] | This woman teaches our children. | 这位女士教育着我们的下一代 |
[07:32] | If she suffers from a sexual disorder,it’s certainly relevant, | 如果她患有性功能障碍症 这当然就有关了 |
[07:36] | especially when she was discharged for improper physical conduct with a student. | 尤其是当她因与学生不当接触 而遭到解雇的情况下 |
[07:40] | It was not sexual in nature,and for you to imply so is out of line. | 该接触与性无关 而且你这么暗指也很过分 |
[07:46] | What is objectophilia,ms. Swift? | 什么是恋物癖 Swift女士? |
[07:52] | Please answer. | 请回答 |
[07:55] | It’s a condition where one is sexually attracted to objects. | 就是人们对某样物品产生性幻想 |
[08:10] | I’m very nervous that he’s coming in. | 他要进来了 我太紧张了 |
[08:12] | Maybe I should– | 或许我该… |
[08:14] | He’s very handsome,shirley. | 他可帅了 Shirley |
[08:16] | Just looking at him can make my genitalia flutter. | 光是看着他 我就春心萌动 |
[08:18] | Oh,please.Can I– | 哦 拜托 我能不能… |
[08:19] | no! | 不! |
[08:20] | It calms me,shirley. | 这能让我冷静 Shirley |
[08:22] | Plus,he responds to it. | 再说 他对这也有感觉 |
[08:23] | Yeah,so do I. No singing. | 没错 我也是 不准唱 |
[08:26] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:27] | This here’S… | 这是… |
[08:29] | My lawyer. | 我的律师 |
[08:31] | What’s going on here? | 怎么回事? |
[08:33] | What’s going on is your client stole my client’s semen. | 怎么回事是你的当事人 偷了我当事人的精子 |
[08:36] | Oh,right. | 哦 没错 |
[08:37] | You gave it quite willingly,mr. Man. | 你可是很心甘情愿的 大丈夫 |
[08:39] | I didn’t know what you were gonna do with it,woman. | 我又不知道你要拿它干嘛 小女人 |
[08:41] | Ahh,I love it when he calls me “woman.” | 啊 我就喜欢他叫我”小女人” |
[08:45] | What exactly are you asking for? | 你们的要求到底是什么? |
[08:48] | An abortion. | 堕胎 |
[08:53] | You are kidding. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[08:54] | No. If I were kidding,I’d stand like this. | 不 如果我开玩笑的话 我会这样 |
[08:58] | You–you have read a little case called roe V.Wade, | 你… 你学过Roe V. Wade案例 |
[09:00] | which says a woman’s body– | 女性的身体… |
[09:02] | read the case,saw the movie,got me to thinking, | 学过案例 看过电影 让我不禁开始思考 |
[09:04] | wouldn’t the current supreme court just love an opportunity | 现今的最高法院是否想要一个机会 |
[09:07] | to overthrow roe without being vilified as antiabortion? Well… | 来推翻Roe的案例而不被指责吗? |
[09:13] | ta-da. | 当-当 |
[09:14] | What’s this ta-da? | 这个”当-当”是什么意思? |
[09:15] | Is that some legal thingy,like res ispa? | 是像”事实自证”这样的法律术语吗? |
[09:19] | What’s ta-da? | “当-当”是什么意思? |
[09:20] | Setting aside the absurd notion that you might actually argue this… | 先不说你那可笑的想法… |
[09:24] | yes,setting aside that. | 好的 先不说那个 |
[09:26] | As a matter of law– today’s law– once the sperm,blood or tissue leaves the body, | 事实上 根据法律…现今的法律… 一旦精子 血液 或者身体组织离开了身体 |
[09:31] | a person no longer has any proprietary right. | 你就失去了所有权 |
[09:33] | And also under today’s law,you have no right whatsoever to get a court-ordered abortion. | 同样 根据现今的法律 你无论如何都没有权利要求法院判令堕胎 |
[09:41] | Finish the sentence,shirley. Go ahead. | 把话说完 Shirley 接着说 |
[09:43] | I did. | 我说完了 |
[09:44] | No.From your tone, | 不 根据你的语气 |
[09:45] | I could almost hear the tag,”and I’d like to see you try.” | 我仿佛听到了你的后半句话 “我很期待能欣赏你的尝试” |
[10:00] | I should think we’d just be able to conflict alan out. | 我倒是认为 我们能用利益冲突原则 来把Alan赶出局 |
[10:03] | No.Missy already waived conflict when we represented ivan, | 不 Missy在我们受理她和Ivan的诉讼时 就放弃了这权利 |
[10:05] | and terrence is waiving it now because he wants alan. | 而Terrence现在放弃这权利 因为他想要Alan |
[10:09] | What can he come with? | 他有什么招数? |
[10:10] | Well,I think the strongest argument would be public policy. | 我想他最有力的辩论将是公共政策 |
[10:14] | The state doesn’t want fraud to be used to compel fatherhood against a man’s will. | 州政府不期望有人违背男人的意愿 用欺骗的方式来强迫他们成为父亲 |
[10:17] | Well,we’ve got bigger public policy on our side. | 我们这边有更强大的公共政策 |
[10:20] | Ordering an abortion. | 强制堕胎 |
[10:21] | Yes,but roe V. Wade doesn’t convey a woman’s right to have a baby. | 是的 不过Roe V. Wade案例 并没有确定妇女的生育权 |
[10:24] | It’s premised on heright to control her body. | 它认定了妇女对自己身体的控制权 |
[10:26] | Which would give her the right not to have a medical procedure against her will. | 凭此妇女有权拒绝接受医疗手术 |
[10:29] | One would hope,but we wouldn’t necessarily be talking about a medical procedure here. | 你可以这么想 但是本案未必牵涉到医疗手术 |
[10:33] | Missy’s only five weeks pregnant. | Missy才怀孕5周 |
[10:34] | She could take the abortion pill,ru-486. | 她可以使用堕胎药 Ru-486 |
[10:37] | Taking a pill would arguably not constitute an invasive procedure. | 服药并不算医疗手术 |
[10:42] | And how would we counter that? | 我们该如何反驳? |
[10:44] | Well… vigorously? | 呃 全力反驳? |
[10:50] | Personally,I hate the no-hugging policy. | 我本人讨厌不准拥抱的规定 |
[10:53] | But I dislike the insurance premiums more. | 但我更不喜欢额外的保险费 |
[10:56] | The fact is,some teachers have crossed the line. | 事实是 一些教师已经越线了 |
[10:59] | And it could do irreparable damage to the kid,the school. | 这会对孩子以及学校 造成不可挽回的伤害 |
[11:03] | And the easiest way to safeguard against inappropriate contact is just to say no contact. | 而要避免不正当身体的接触 最简单的方法就是避免接触 |
[11:10] | So just shut down all human contact,is that the idea? | 所以就避免一切身体接触 是这个意思吗? |
[11:14] | No. | 不 |
[11:14] | The idea is to shut down post-traumatic distress when teachers abuse their trust. | 初衷是要在教师滥用学生的信任时 尽可能的避免创伤后压力症 |
[11:19] | The idea is to shut down lawsuits. | 尽可能的避免诉讼 |
[11:22] | It was my daughter she hugged. | 她抱的是我女儿 |
[11:24] | Did you object? | 你有意见吗? |
[11:25] | Oh,god,no. | 哦 天哪 当然没 |
[11:26] | Bonnie was despondent. | Bonnie很沮丧 |
[11:27] | Thank god there was a compassionate teacher who was there for her. | 谢天谢地 能有个富有同情心的老师在她身边 |
[11:30] | Believe me,we’ve got too many of the other kind. | 相信我 冷漠的教师实在是太多了 |
[11:33] | Would you have been comfortable as a parent for a teacher with a known sexual disorder | 作为家长 看到自己的女儿与患有 性功能障碍的教师身体接触 |
[11:37] | to be physically touching your daughter? | 你是否感觉舒服? |
[11:40] | Probably not,but I know this teacher. | 可能不会 但是我清楚这个老师 |
[11:42] | Who should bear the burden of knowing all the teachers and deciding whether hugging is okay or not, | 谁该挑起了解所有教师 并决定拥抱是否正当的担子? |
[11:48] | the parents or the– or the principal,do you think? | 你认为是家长 还是…还是校长? |
[11:51] | Obviously the principal. | 显然是校长 |
[11:52] | In fact,you as a parent trust the principal to create a safe environment for the kids– true? | 作为家长 你信任由校长来 为孩子们创造一个安全的环境 对吗? |
[12:00] | Yes,that’s true. | 是的 没错 |
[12:02] | That didn’t go very well,did it? | 刚才的情况不太好 是吧? |
[12:04] | It could’ve been better. | 本来可以更好些的 |
[12:05] | I’m sorry i haven’t been better. | 我很抱歉 我没做到最好 |
[12:07] | You’ve been great. | 你很出色了 |
[12:09] | So now what? | 现在如何? |
[12:10] | Well,we give our summations,and then the judge will rule. | 我们先做总结发言 然后法官作出判决 |
[12:13] | Jerry,I appreciate your efforts,especially after… | Jerry 我很感激你的努力 尤其是在… |
[12:18] | I am sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[12:22] | It’s okay. | 没事 |
[12:24] | Life goes on. | 生活还要继续 |
[12:25] | Ob-la-di,c’est la vie,sacre bleu. | 这就是生活啊… 真他妈的见鬼 |
[12:27] | Will you ever forgive me? | 你会原谅我吗? |
[12:31] | Leigh… | Leigh… |
[12:32] | right now I need to concentrate on the case. | 我现在得把注意力集中在这个案件上 |
[12:36] | Wait a second. | 慢着 |
[12:37] | You’re actually asking me to order an abortion? | 你是要求我下令堕胎? |
[12:39] | I am,judge. | 是的 法官大人 |
[12:40] | – Isn’t it exciting? – No. | – 这不让人心潮澎湃吗? – 不 |
[12:42] | Well,then let’s reframe the issue. | 那让我换个说法 |
[12:43] | Let’s just say we’re here so that you may stop her from profiting from stealing this man’s sperm. | 就说 请你阻止她得益于盗窃他的精子 |
[12:48] | What do you mean,she stole it? | 盗窃 什么意思? |
[12:49] | I mean they did not have intercourse. | 我是指他们俩并未进行性交 |
[12:51] | It was never his intent to even have oral sex. | 进行口交也不符合他的意愿 |
[12:54] | So let me tell you exactly how she came into possession of his sperm. | 请允许我描述她获得精子的详细过程 |
[12:57] | I think I know. | 我知道 |
[12:59] | How did she get pregnant? | 她是怎么受孕的? |
[13:00] | She put the ill-gotten proceeds in a test tube popped it in the fridge, | 她将其非法所得放到试管 扔进冰箱里 |
[13:03] | a shower and gargle,and off to the fertility clinic she went. | 冲了个澡 漱了个口 就去不孕不育诊所了 |
[13:08] | Okay. | 好 |
[13:09] | I want you in that chair. | 你上来作证 |
[13:10] | Your honor,it doesn’t matter how this pregnancy came to be.you can’t– | 大人 她怎么怀上孩子的不重要 您不能… |
[13:14] | it–it matters to me. | 对…对我来说很重要 |
[13:16] | Hold on,sir. | 稍等 先生 |
[13:19] | You… in that chair,after lunch. | 你…上证人席 午饭之后 |
[13:22] | We’re adjourned. | 休廷 |
[13:31] | Can you imagine? | 你信吗? |
[13:32] | The judge is going to have a hearing. | 法官要举行听证会 |
[13:36] | Well… | 嗯… |
[13:37] | well,what? | 嗯什么? |
[13:39] | Well… well,shirley,what if somebody stole your eggs? | 嗯… Shirley 如果有人偷了你的卵子呢? |
[13:43] | How would you feel? | 你会怎么觉得? |
[13:44] | My eggs are on display at the natural history museum. | 我的卵子正在自然历史博物馆展览呢 |
[13:46] | Anybody can walk in and take them. | 谁都可以进去拿 |
[13:48] | No,I know. I’m serious. | 不是 我不是闹着玩 |
[13:49] | This man was violated. | 他被强奸了 |
[13:50] | Even so. | 即使这样 |
[13:51] | A court-ordered abortion? | 法庭强制堕胎? |
[13:53] | Courts have terminated pregnancies before,either for mentally handicapped women or– | 法庭之前下令终止过妊娠 有精神障碍的女人 还有… |
[13:58] | missy is not retarded. | Missy不是弱智 |
[14:00] | You had her tested? | 你测试过吗? |
[14:04] | carl,I’m– I’m surprised at you. | Carl 我– 我很惊讶 |
[14:06] | Well,you know what? I’m surprised at you,shirley. | 你知道吗? 我也很惊讶 Shirley |
[14:08] | Your fairness compass is always spot-on. | 你指示公平的指南针一直都很精确 |
[14:09] | It’s fritzing out here. | 今天却出问题了 |
[14:11] | We’re now having a fight. | 我们正在吵嘴 |
[14:14] | Which you’re losing,and that bothers you. | 你快输了 这让你很不爽 |
[14:16] | You actually believe a judge should be able to order a woman to have an abortion? | 你真的认为法官应该下令让女人堕胎? |
[14:22] | I think they should be loathe to do so,but yes. | 我觉得人们应该憎恶他们这么做 但答案是肯定的 |
[14:38] | fine. | 行 |
[14:44] | You re looking for me? | 你找我? |
[14:46] | Yes. | 是的 |
[14:48] | I was wondering if you could join me after lunch for about an hour. | 午饭后能借用你一小时时间吗? |
[14:54] | What have you got in mind? | 你有什么计划? |
[14:57] | Heartburn. | 心痛啊 |
[14:58] | I have a case. | 我有个案子 |
[15:00] | I could use a woman at the table to preempt any charges of chauvinism since– | 我需要个女人 以防她们说我大男子主义 因为… |
[15:05] | no,thank you. | 算了 谢谢 |
[15:05] | I know about your case,alan. It’s repugnant. | 我听说了你的案子了 Alan 太过分了 |
[15:08] | And good luck trying to find any woman to sit at your table. | 祝你好运 能找到女同胞帮你 |
[15:10] | Strict. | 真严厉啊 |
[15:12] | Lorraine,let’s just put,uh,gender politics aside for the moment and focus– | Lorraine 先抛开性别立场不谈 把焦点集中在… |
[15:17] | that’s cute.Like leaving biasut of prejudice. | 真可爱 抛开”偏”来谈偏见 |
[15:20] | I don’t really think that can be done,alan,not even by you. | 我觉得没人能做得到 Alan 你也不行 |
[15:23] | So sorry. | 对不起 |
[15:24] | I hope you lose. | 我希望你输 |
[15:26] | Bye,denny. | 再见 Denny |
[15:31] | I really don’t get it. | 我真不明白 |
[15:34] | I agree it’s a woman’s body,and therefore her rights should take priority. | 我同意身体是女人的 所以应该优先考虑她们的权利 |
[15:38] | But what’s the rationale that justifies excising the man completely from the equation? | 但是什么样的逻辑 能把男性从等式中完全抹去? |
[15:44] | They got us on this one,alan. | 这个问题她们说的算 Alan |
[15:45] | Until the supreme court fixes the problem– and they’re handpicked to do so–they got us. | 除非最高法院解决这个问题– 他们就是被选上干这个的– 她们说的算 |
[15:50] | Their rights,their body,period. | 她们的权利 她们的身体 月经 |
[15:52] | And they have those,too. | 她们也来那个 |
[15:54] | So it all evens out. | 所以扯平了 |
[15:57] | Denny Crane | Denny crane. |
[15:58] | You heard it here. | 我说完了 |
[16:17] | I’ve always wanted to have a baby. | 我一直都想要孩子 |
[16:19] | Of course,with the right man. | 当然了 要跟好男人 |
[16:21] | Terrence was right for me. | Terrence是我的白马王子 |
[16:23] | We fell in love so quickly. | 我们几乎一见钟情 |
[16:25] | At least,I did. | 至少是我 |
[16:26] | After two dates? | 两次约会之后? |
[16:28] | Look at him. He’s gorgeous! | 看看他 太帅了! |
[16:29] | The thought of having beautiful,mocha-chocolata bambinos with him… | 一想到要生他那可爱的 摩卡巧克力孩子… |
[16:33] | ooh,it brings a flutter to my– | 我那个地方就兴奋起来了… |
[16:35] | Missy! | missy! |
[16:40] | what the hell was that? | 这是干吗? |
[16:42] | my–my client’s in a form of music therapy to combat stress. | 我–我的当事人在接受一种音乐疗法 治疗沮丧 |
[16:46] | Just one note is more than eugh. | 只要一个音符就够了 |
[16:48] | Music therapy? | 音乐疗法? |
[16:49] | Yes,your honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[16:51] | I like to look at life as a big musical. | 我喜欢把生活看成一场音乐剧 |
[16:53] | The night I met terrence,it was a musical. | 我遇见Terrence的那个晚上 就像音乐剧 |
[17:00] | can you te us about the night that you conceived? | 你怀孕的那天晚上 能讲讲吗 |
[17:02] | Well,as I said,it was magical. | 我说了 神奇的一夜 |
[17:05] | We had gone to a club. | 我们去了一间俱乐部 |
[17:07] | We danced. We snuggled.We giggled. | 跳了舞 偎依在一起 傻笑 |
[17:09] | And after the club? | 然后? |
[17:11] | We went back to my place,had some wine,and we got romantic,at least I did. | 去了我家 喝了点酒 气氛变得浪漫起来 至少我是的 |
[17:17] | He looked at me,I looked at him. | 我们四目相接 |
[17:20] | and we both knew,at least I did. | 我们都很清楚 至少我 |
[17:24] | Have to believe we are magic | 不得不信 我们是天仙配 |
[17:31] | and you got pregnant at a fertility clinic with terrence’s sperm? | 你用Terrence的精子 在一家诊所怀上了孩子? |
[17:35] | Yes,after our seminal moment together,I put the goods in a little test tubey, | 精液采集时刻之后 我把货装到了一个小管管里 |
[17:41] | took it the lab,and they put it in the oven. | 带去了实验室 他们将其放进烤箱之中 |
[17:43] | When it bakes,soon I’ll have my little obama baby. | 烤好了之后 我就有个奥巴马样的孩子了 |
[17:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[17:52] | She’s all yours. | 她归你了 |
[17:53] | I don’t really want her. | 我真不想要她 |
[17:56] | I suppose I’m obligeD. | 估计我不得不要 |
[17:58] | – Missy – Hello. | – 你好 – Missy. |
[18:00] | You wish you and terrence were together,don’t you? | 你希望能和Terrence在一起 是吗? |
[18:02] | I do. | 是的 |
[18:03] | But if you can’t have him– | 但如果不能拥有他… |
[18:05] | I’ll have his baby. | 那就要他的孩子 |
[18:11] | have you thought for one second how this would affect terrence? | 你想过这对Terrence会有什么影响吗? |
[18:14] | Well,I would hope he’d be happy,for me,for us. | 我希望他会高兴 为我 为我们 |
[18:19] | – And if he’s not? – Tough. | – 如果不呢? – 麻烦了 |
[18:23] | This may be a rhetorical question,but let me ask it anyway. | 尽管答案很明显 但我还是要问 |
[18:26] | Do you think you’re fit to be anybody’s mother? | 你觉得自己有能力当好母亲吗? |
[18:29] | – Objection. – Sustained. | – 反对 – 有效 |
[18:30] | No. I’d like to respond to that. | 不用 我希望回答 |
[18:33] | Go ahead,without song. | 说吧 别唱歌 |
[18:40] | I will be a good mother. | 我会是个好母亲的 |
[18:43] | I’m sorry mr. Man doesn’t want this child. | 他不想要孩子我很遗憾 |
[18:46] | That’s too bad for m it’s too bad for the baby. | 对我来说太糟糕了 对孩子也是 |
[18:49] | And let’s not forget,there is a baby here. | 别忘了 这儿还有个孩子呢 |
[18:51] | There’s another life involved. | 还有一个生命 |
[18:53] | If you want to vilify me,punish me,go ahead. | 如果你想诽谤我 惩罚我 行 |
[18:56] | But do not punish this child. | 但不要惩罚这个孩子 |
[18:58] | It is grossly unfair to do so with the death penalty. | 判它死刑实在是不公平 |
[19:09] | I feel like the big monster now. | 我现在觉得自己是个大怪物 |
[19:12] | You’re not a monster,mr. Maxwell. | 你不是 Maxell先生 |
[19:15] | You’re actually being quite heroic. | 实际上你是个英雄 |
[19:17] | You’re giving voice to a male ouage that’s long overdue. | 你说出了长久以来压在男人心头的忿怒 |
[19:22] | For women to be able to just– | 女人能可以… |
[19:24] | it’s not just that. | 不是女人 |
[19:26] | It’s the idea of that woman. | 是那个女人 |
[19:28] | I mean,there’s assimilation and there’s assimilation. | 虎父无犬子 老鼠的儿子会打洞 |
[19:30] | That woman should not be allowed to parent a black child or a half-black child. | 应该禁止她抚养黑人孩子 或是混血 |
[19:34] | There,I said it. | 我说出来了 |
[19:37] | Should I say it in court? | 在庭上要说吗? |
[19:39] | Terrence,there’s no real advantage in you testifying, | Terrence 让你作证没什么好处 |
[19:42] | and I don’t want to give them the opportunity to portray you as someone other than who you are. | 我不想给她们机会抹黑你的形象 |
[19:48] | So what now? | 那接下来呢? |
[19:49] | You give one of those big,long speeches then? | 你做你超级长 超级精彩的陈词? |
[19:53] | yes. | 嗯 |
[19:55] | I do that. | 那样 |
[19:57] | I think the judge liked my singing. Don’t you? | 我觉得法官喜欢我唱歌 你喜欢吗? |
[19:59] | – Shirley – How could she not? – Shirley. | – 她怎么能不喜欢? |
[20:01] | Ah,carl,still alive. Well… | Carl 我还活着呢 Well… |
[20:03] | that’s mature. | 真成熟 |
[20:06] | Anything you say bounces off me and sticks to you. | 你说什么都会弹回去 粘在你身上 |
[20:14] | Fighting? | 吵架了? |
[20:15] | We are. | 是啊 |
[20:29] | Problem? | 不顺? |
[20:30] | Working on my closing. | 准备我的结案陈词 |
[20:33] | I may have to use the cigarette. | 我可能得用那根假烟 |
[20:35] | Why? | 为什么? |
[20:36] | Well,this issue… | 这个事情… |
[20:38] | hugging? | 拥抱? |
[20:39] | I’m finding it very hard to get a rhythm. | 我找不到感觉 |
[20:46] | do you know… | 你知道吗… |
[20:47] | my mother hugged me a grand total of two times? | 我妈一共只抱过我2次 |
[20:53] | One was by accident. | 其中一次还是意外 |
[20:54] | She thought I was choking and performed the heimlich maneuver. | 她以为我憋住了 所以来了个海姆利克氏操作法 |
[20:58] | Did your father hug you? | 你父亲抱你吗? |
[21:00] | No. He believed in firm handshakes. | 不 他更喜欢握手 |
[21:03] | Which was pretty much a bust since I could rarely convince my hand to leave my thigh. | 基本上没什么用 因为我的手很难离开大腿 |
[21:10] | The first hug I ever got,truly,was a couple years ago,from alan. | 我第一次拥抱 实际上 是几年前Alan抱的 |
[21:18] | Really? | 是吗? |
[21:23] | have you got another one of those I cou use? | 你还有一个能分我么? |
[21:26] | I have to close against alan shore. | 我得跟Alan Shore唱对台 |
[21:28] | He’s really good,isn’t he? | 他很强大 是吧? |
[21:29] | The best I’ve ever seen. | 我见过的最优秀的 |
[21:31] | Thank you for that. | 谢谢了 |
[21:32] | Katie,I’ve seen you in the courtroom. | Katie 我看过你出庭 |
[21:34] | You don’t need to be afraid of anybody. | 你谁都不用怕 |
[21:36] | Even alan shore? | 连Alan Shore也不用? |
[21:38] | Here’s the thing with alan… | Alan有个特点… |
[21:42] | he likes to get dominion of the room and keep opposing counsel off balance. | 他喜欢取得法庭的控制权 让对方律师找不着北 |
[21:48] | Just don’t let him. | 别让他得逞 |
[21:50] | Also,when his case wobbles– and here it does– | 还有 他的案子底基不牢时– 现在就是 |
[21:53] | he tries to reframe the issue into one that suits him. | 他会试图把话题转移到他擅长的问题上去 |
[21:58] | He’s very clever that way. | 非常精明 |
[22:00] | Don’t let him. | 别让他得逞 |
[22:04] | Listen to me. | 听听我说了些什么 |
[22:05] | I feel I’m being disloyal to him. | 我觉得自己一点都不忠诚 |
[22:07] | You’re being very loyal to me. | 你忠诚于我啊 |
[22:09] | I appreciate it. | 谢谢 |
[22:11] | Jerry,you are a dear,dear friend. | Jerry 你是个非常 非常好的朋友 |
[22:18] | Leigh! | leigh! |
[22:20] | Hello. | 你好 |
[22:21] | – Welcome. | – 欢迎 – 欢迎 你好 – Welcome.Hello. |
[22:26] | Are you two boyfriend and girlfriend? | 你们俩是男女朋友关系吗? |
[22:29] | No,we’re w-work friends,colleagues. | 不 我们是工作朋友 同事 |
[22:35] | Good-bye. | 再见 |
[22:40] | Somebody still seems a little smitten,jerry. | 有人受打击了 Jerry |
[22:56] | This isn’t the only school with a no-hug policy. | 不只这所学校有不准拥抱的规定 |
[22:58] | Many,many others are doing the same thing. | 很多学校也这样 |
[23:01] | And it isn’t just because they’re litigation averse. | 不仅因为这样能避免诉讼 |
[23:04] | It’s for the chiren. | 对孩子也好 |
[23:06] | The statistics don’t lie. | 数据不会撒谎 |
[23:07] | Many of the worst and most far-reaching cases of abuse happen at the hands of trusted adults, | 最严重 影响最深远的虐待案子 都发生在深受信赖的成人手中 |
[23:12] | be it a priest or a teacher or a relative. | 牧师 教师 或者亲属 |
[23:17] | Does this policy go too far? | 这条规定太过分了吗? |
[23:19] | I’m sure some would say it does. | 有些人肯定会这么说 |
[23:22] | But on what side do we want to err here? | 但是那种错误更容易接受呢? |
[23:53] | it’s not just happening at schools. | 不仅仅是在学校 |
[23:55] | Many corporations and businesses now forbid physical contact. | 很多公司 很多行业现在都禁止身体接触 |
[23:59] | It cuts down on sexual harassment lawsuits. | 性侵犯诉讼数目降低了 |
[24:01] | Perhaps with the continued evolution of smartphones and mails and video conferencing, | 或许随着智能手机 电子邮件 视频会议 进一步发展 |
[24:07] | we’ll find a way to keep people from ever being in the same room together. | 以后人们都不用共处一室了 |
[24:10] | Won’t that be wonderful? | 那样不是好极了? |
[24:13] | Years ago they did an experiment with an orphaned baby monkey. | 很多年前 人们拿一只失去父母的小猴子 做了项试验 |
[24:18] | They gave it two choices for a surrogate– | 给了它2个替身的选择… |
[24:21] | one which could provide milk,the other a hug. | 一个提供牛奶 一个可以拥抱 |
[24:26] | The monkey chose the hug. | 猴子选择了拥抱 |
[24:36] | I’m sure we all saw this picture in the newspapers a few months ago. | 大家几个月前都在报纸上见过这张图片吧 |
[24:40] | Yes,very sweet. | 嗯 非常可爱 |
[24:42] | But for my money,one case of child abuse trumps a cute monkey. | 但是要我说 虐待儿童的案子 比可爱的猴子重要得多 |
[24:48] | Yes,your honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[24:54] | I grew up… with… | 我成长过程中… 有… |
[24:57] | various social disabilities. | 很多社交障碍 |
[25:00] | I had no friends. | 我没有朋友 |
[25:01] | I got a job that only required I write memorandums. | 工作就是写备忘录 |
[25:06] | I lived,basically,a life with no real human contact. | 我的生活…基本上…完全与他人隔绝 |
[25:12] | My client is an objectophile. | 我的委托人是个恋物癖 |
[25:16] | Both of us improved through the kindness,compassion and yes, | 我们俩的情况都因为别人的 善良 同情 还有 是的 |
[25:22] | physical affection of others. | 身体接触 而大大改善 |
[25:24] | The human touch cannot be quantified. | 人类的触碰是不能被量化的 |
[25:28] | It cannot be analyzed with statistics. | 不能用统计数据去分析 |
[25:31] | We can’t place a number on it,but it is much, | 我们不能用数字去衡量 但是它绝不是 |
[25:34] | much more than a doorway to sexual molestation. | 绝不是性侵犯的大门那么简单 |
[25:38] | It’s the best,the most direct, | 它是最佳的 最直接的 最持久的 |
[25:41] | thmost lasting way of affirming another person’s humanity. | 肯定他人人性的方法 |
[25:46] | Leigh swift was trying to comfort a student who was suffering. | Leigh Swift想安慰一个难过的孩子 |
[25:50] | What policy can possibly justify | 什么规定能正当化 |
[25:54] | firing her for that? | 以此为借口开除她? |
[26:14] | Six years ago… | 6年前… |
[26:16] | isolation had brought me to the point… | 孤独感如此强烈… |
[26:19] | I considered taking my life. | 我考虑过要结束此生 |
[26:23] | I picked up the phone and punched out 4-1-1, | 我拿起电话 播了411 |
[26:27] | so desperate was I to hear just the sound of another person’s voice. | 我只想听听别人的声音 |
[26:33] | I got some automated recording that said,”what city and state,please?” | 结果是自动答复机 说”请问哪州哪市?” |
[26:40] | And I wept. | 我哭了 |
[26:43] | We are living in such an increasingly isolated world,your honor. | 我们的世界越来越缺少交流 大人 |
[26:47] | We I.M. | 我们网络聊天 |
[26:50] | And text message and have virtual relationships online. | 发短信 在网上发展虚拟恋情 |
[26:55] | It gets lonelier and lonelier | 越来越孤独 |
[26:58] | while teenage and adult depression continues to rise. | 而青少年和成年人抑郁症发病率持续上升 |
[27:01] | There are perhaps many things we can do about it. | 也许有很多解决方法 |
[27:06] | Banning the hug… | 禁止拥抱… |
[27:09] | can’t be one of them. | 绝不是其中之一 |
[27:25] | The thing about women,carl,if you reject their opinions,their principles, | 女人 Carl 如果你反对他们的观点 原则 |
[27:31] | they feel you’re rejecting them,which is so wrong, | 他们觉得你不要她们了 事实并非如此 |
[27:33] | since with most relationships,we’re in it only for the sex. | 因为在大多数关系中 我们只是想做爱 |
[27:36] | Uh,you won’t be getting any,by the way,from shirley,unless you agree with her. | 除非你赞同她 否则从Shirley那 你什么都得不到 |
[27:42] | I don’t know,denny. | 我不知道 Denny |
[27:43] | Maybe shirley and i aren’t right for each other. | 可能我和Shirley并不合适 |
[27:47] | Don’t go overreacting now. | 别反应那么大 |
[27:49] | You ever wonder if all relationships are finite? | 你甚至在怀疑所有的关系是否都是有限的 |
[27:52] | Of course they are. | 当然都是 |
[27:53] | That’s why we have kids,marriage vows,onerous divorce laws– | 所以会有 孩子 结婚誓约 离婚法… |
[27:56] | all to make it too impossible to leave once we know it’s over. | 让我们在感情结束时 知道分手是不可能的 |
[27:59] | We’re a pro-marriage nation. | 我们是个”顶婚姻”国家 |
[28:02] | That’s very cynical,denny. | 这太愤世嫉俗了 Denny |
[28:05] | Would you marry shirley? | 你会娶Shirley吗 |
[28:06] | In a second. May I? | 立刻娶 我可以吗? |
[28:07] | I think she would want a say. | 我觉得 她想要你的答复 |
[28:09] | Yes,therein lies the problem. | 没错 问题就在这 |
[28:11] | Marriage,abortion,you name it… | 你管它叫 婚姻 堕胎… |
[28:14] | we were much better off in the old days,before women got a say. | 女人得到答复前的情况 可比过去差太多了 |
[28:18] | Supreme court will get us back there. | 最高法院会带我们回到过去 |
[28:20] | Just give ’em time. | 给他们时间吧 |
[28:27] | all right,before we begin,ms. Tiggs,no singing. | 好吧 在开始之前 Tiggs女士 不许唱歌 |
[28:32] | If you so much as accidentally hit a note while clearing your throat,I will rule in his favor. | 如果你突然有了灵感 开始清你的嗓子 我就会按他的意愿来判 |
[28:37] | – You got that? – Yes,your honor. | – 明白了吗? – 是的 按你说的办 |
[28:39] | All right,now,mr. Shore,you can’t stand before me | 好了 现在 Shore律师 你不能站在我面前 |
[28:43] | and tell me you expect this court or any court to order that a woman get an abortion. | 告诉我这个法庭 或任何一个法庭 可以让女人去堕胎 |
[28:47] | That’s exactly what expect. | 这正是我所想的 |
[28:48] | The idea is appalling to you because next to the “n” word,only the “a” word is more controversial. | 你觉得惊讶是因为N词之后 只有A词更有争议 |
[28:52] | Only the “a” word can stir up such deep-seated passion,not of love, | 只有A词能激起如此深层的激情 |
[28:57] | which one might hope for when thinking of life and its conception,but rather of anger and rage. | 但这与想到生命及生命观时所期盼的爱无关 它更易激起人的怒火 令人生气 |
[29:01] | In fact,there isn’t any issue in this country as combustible. | 事实上 在这个国家 没有什么比这类案件更加棘手 |
[29:04] | My advice here would be to not think of it as the “a” word at all. | 我的建议是 别把这事和A词扯上关系 |
[29:07] | Let’s just think of it as requiring this woman who flagrantly and deliberately defrauded my client, | 把它当作 只是让这个千真万确 故意地欺骗了我当事人的女人 |
[29:12] | requiring her to simply take a pill,some medication. | 吃一些药 把这当作药物治疗 |
[29:14] | We do it all the time. | 这种事我们每天都做 |
[29:15] | We force medicate in psychiatric hospitals,a place where, | 在精神病院我们会强迫用药 |
[29:18] | ironically,this woman should certainly be stuck. | 讽刺地说 这女人肯定会被那地方接纳 |
[29:20] | Will you slow the hell down? | 你TM能不能说慢点? |
[29:22] | Under the law,judge,there is no life here. | 从法律上讲 法官 这案子里无生命可言 |
[29:24] | She’s five weeks pregnant. | 她刚怀孕5周 |
[29:25] | At five weeks,there is no life recognized by the law. | 5周 还不存在法律上认可的生命 |
[29:28] | Mr. Shore is incorrect. | Shore律师说错了 |
[29:29] | The relevant case law goes only to viability. | 相关的判例法表明只需考虑生存能力 |
[29:31] | It makes no determination as to when human life begins. | 对于人类生命的开端 并没有明确的定义 |
[29:34] | And whatever one’s opinion may be on abortion,we can’t dispute that life, | 但当这事一旦和堕胎挂钩 我们就不能否认 这个生命 |
[29:38] | however embryonic,originates at conception. | 无论处于何种程度的初始阶段 在概念上 它已经产生 |
[29:40] | But the only issue today is can the court invade the autonomy of her body. | 但今天的问题仅仅在于 法庭是否有权对她的身体进行治疗 |
[29:44] | And I would say yes. | 我的答案是 是的 |
[29:44] | We’re not talking about an intrusive procedure. | 我们并不是在讨论一个介入性治疗 |
[29:47] | We’re asking that she take a pill,a little tablet,like an aspirin–the ru-486. | 我们只是让她吃一个小药片 就像阿司匹林–RU 486 |
[29:51] | It’s very effective,the side effects are rare,and it’s safe. | 它很有效 而且没什么副作用 很安全 |
[29:54] | I can’t speak as to when mr. Shore had his last abortion, | 不知道Shore先生最后一次 堕胎是什么时候 |
[29:56] | but they are anything but a breeze,even with the ru-486. | 这绝不是什么轻而易举的小事 哪怕是只吃了RU-486 |
[29:59] | It presents the same symptoms as a miscarriage,including cramping,bleeding. | 它会带来和流产一样的症状 包括痉挛 出血 |
[30:03] | It could take days or even weeks,and that’s not even accounting for the emotional aftereffects, | 这需要休息几天甚至几周 还不包括它带来可能会波及终生的… |
[30:07] | which could last a lifetime. | 情感重创 |
[30:08] | – This woman hijacked my sperm. – Mr. Maxwell– | – 这女人抢劫了我的精子 – Maxwell先生– |
[30:11] | I love it when he calls me woman. | 我喜欢他叫我女人 |
[30:13] | I did not have intercourse with her that night. | 那晚我根本没和她发生关系 |
[30:14] | Why? | 为什么? |
[30:15] | Because I did not want to run the risk of getting her pregnant. | 因为我不想冒让她怀孕的危险 |
[30:18] | I would submit that mr. Maxwell has various legal remedies. | 我要说Maxwell先生 可以得到多种法律救济 |
[30:20] | He can sue her in a civil court for damages,though she’s not asking for child support– | 在民事法庭控告她 向她索要赔偿金 但她却没提过抚养孩子的问题… |
[30:24] | oh,and now who’s not accounting for the emotional aftereffects? | 那么现在谁来对他的情感重创负责? |
[30:27] | Where is it written that,”hey,if he doesn’t have to contribute to the raising of the child, | 哪里写过 “如果一个男人 不抚养他的孩子” |
[30:30] | then it’s no harm,no foul”? | “他完全没错 一点都不恶劣” |
[30:31] | Mr. Shore– | Shore律师– |
[30:32] | it’s my flesh and blood.My child. | 他是我的骨肉 我的孩子 |
[30:34] | And you want to kill it. | 但你想杀了他 |
[30:35] | All right. | 好了好了 |
[30:37] | Tempers are starting to flare– | 双方的火气越来越大了… |
[30:38] | yes,they are,judge. | 他们是的 法官 |
[30:39] | As I said,this is an angry topic. | 如我所说 这是个勾人火的话题 |
[30:41] | And one of the reasons we’re also enraged is we never got a say. | 我们愤怒的其中一个理由就是 我们得不到一个说法 |
[30:45] | The american public never got a vote on abortion. | 美国公众没为这事表决过 |
[30:47] | It was decided by fiat– nine men sitting on a court. | 它由9个坐在法庭里的人 规定的法令来判决 |
[30:50] | Why we don’t put the issue on a ballot completely escapes me. | 我完全忘了为什么我们 不能针对这事投票 |
[30:53] | Especially since our judicial selection process has now become so corrupted by the politics of abortion, | 特别是 如今我们的司法选择程序 已被流产的政治腐蚀得一塌糊涂 |
[30:58] | as our presidential and congressional campaigns have. | 我们可以为总统 或国会议员的选举活动投票 |
[31:00] | But we the people,we don’t get a vote. | 但我们是人民 却不能为人民的事投票 |
[31:02] | And it leaves us feeling frustrated and angry,powerless. | 这让我们感觉挫败 生气 无权 |
[31:06] | Can you imagine? | 你能想象吗? |
[31:07] | This issue that goes to the core of our human values,and we don’t get to weigh in? | 关于这个牵扯了人类价值观核心的问题 我们却无权参与? |
[31:11] | We have to sit back and watch a president puppeteered by the religious right, | 我们坐在那里 看着总统被宗教观操纵 |
[31:15] | stacking the deck,in the supreme court– | 在最高法院 按剧本做戏 |
[31:17] | you’re getting off point. | 你跑题了 |
[31:18] | No,I’m very much on point. | 不 我所说的非常切合题意 |
[31:20] | You take that sense of helplessness and rage that the public feels, | 你考虑下公众所感受的无助与愤怒 |
[31:23] | multiply it times 1,000,and you get a sense of what my client feels. | 乘以1000 就是我当事人的感受 |
[31:27] | Somebody would be having his baby,and he doesn’t even get a say? | 有人怀了他的孩子 但他却得不到一个答复? |
[31:30] | He wasn’t careless or cavalier. | 不是他不小心 或者乱献殷勤 |
[31:32] | He was tricked,deceived,defrauded, | 而是他被哄 被诈 被骗 |
[31:34] | and he has no rights here at all? | 那么 在这里他仍没有任何权利吗? |
[31:36] | He should be afforded all his rights under the law,and under the law today, | 他应该得到法律所给他的任何权利 如今的法律所能给的 |
[31:39] | the court cannot and should not order a woman to undergo an intrusive medical procedure. | 法律不能也不应 让一个女人接受介入性治疗 |
[31:44] | Can there be anything more medically,physically and emotionally intrusive than an abortion? | 在医学上 身体上 情绪上 有什么比堕胎更具介入性吗? |
[31:54] | I’m sorry,but at the risk of sounding very politically incorrect, | 我很抱歉 或许这么说在政治上是错误的 |
[31:58] | as much as we’re all supportive of multicultural families– | 由于我们越来越支持混合文化的家庭 |
[32:02] | it’s become so fashionable to adopt exotic babies from different lands and places– | 生一个混血儿已经成为一种时尚 |
[32:06] | but I’m sorry,that woman makes julie andrews seem like a black panther. | 但很不幸 这女人把Julie Andrews当成黑豹了 |
[32:10] | She has no conception of black culture. | 她对于黑人文化完全不知 |
[32:12] | This is wrong. | 这是错误的 |
[32:13] | There,I said it. Everyone can start writing their letters. | 在这 我说过 每个人都能编他自己的故事 |
[32:16] | Maybe the should be some kind of a test one has to pass. But that… | 可至少也该合情合理 但这次… |
[32:22] | I’ve probably said enough. | 或许我说的够多了 |
[32:26] | Yes,you have. | 没错 |
[32:43] | Any word? | 有结果了吗? |
[32:44] | No,but she promised to rule by the end of the day,so… | 还没 但她答应了今天会给结果 所以… |
[32:49] | Terrence… | terrence… |
[32:53] | suppose we do win? | 假设是我们赢了 |
[32:55] | You can certainly expect a whole lot more of all this. | 你当然可以期盼更多 |
[32:57] | The appeals court,the state supreme court,the supreme court– | 可以向更高的法院上诉 先是州最高法院 然后最高法院… |
[33:01] | by that time,she’ll have had the baby. | 到那时 那孩子就会生下来了 |
[33:05] | Are you prepared to push this all the way? | 你打算这么继续下去吗? |
[33:09] | Maybe not. | 或许不 |
[33:11] | Even if we win,I mean,I don’t know if I can make her terminate. | 即使我们赢了 我也不确定是否能阻止她 |
[33:15] | Then why? | 那为何? |
[33:16] | I don’t know. Maybe empowermenT. | 我不知道 可能只为了权利 |
[33:18] | Maybe… | 可能… |
[33:20] | I just want it to be my choice,too. | 我也只想让它成为我自己的选择 |
[33:25] | that crazy? | 这很疯狂吗? |
[33:27] | It isn’t crazy at all. | 一点也不 |
[33:35] | Nobody said “all rise,” but. Okay. | 没人说”全体起立” 算了 这样吧 |
[33:42] | I agree completely with mr. Espenson. | 我很赞同Espenson律师 |
[33:45] | To ban a simple hug seems way too far-reaching,if not draconian. | 如果不采取严厉措施 禁止一个简单的拥抱实在很难做到 |
[33:50] | I’m mindful,however,that we have thousands and thousands | 我留意了下 每年我们都要审判上千起 |
[33:54] | of unlawful sexual touchings on school campuses every year, | 涉及师生双方的 |
[33:58] | committed by both teachers and students. | 校内非法性触摸案件 |
[34:00] | It’s a tough call. | 这是个难克服的问题 |
[34:02] | What tips it for me are the facts of this case. | 但关键在于这个案子本身 |
[34:05] | The plaintiff suffers from objectophilia,a diagnosed sexual disorder. | 被告患有恋物癖 被诊断为性紊乱 |
[34:11] | Add to that she had been warned on prior occasions not to touch the students. | 此外 她曾多次被警告禁止接触学生 |
[34:18] | Judgment for the defendant. | 被告败诉 |
[34:20] | Poop! Withdrawn. | 废话! 收回 |
[34:24] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[34:28] | I’m sorry,leigh. | 很遗憾 Leigh |
[34:29] | Me,too. | 我也是 |
[34:32] | Thank you so much for trying,jerry. | 谢谢你为我尽力 Jerry |
[34:35] | You fought very valiantly. | 你勇猛奋战了 |
[34:37] | I’m sorry we didn’t get a good result. | 我很遗憾 没得到好结果 |
[34:40] | Yes. | 是的 |
[34:44] | Speaking of trying… | 说到尝试… |
[34:45] | would you like to give us a try again? | 你愿意再试一次吗? |
[34:54] | I don’t know. I… | 我不知道 我… |
[34:57] | I don’t think I can compete with an iphone. I don’t know that any man could. | 我不认为我能胜过一个iphone 我不确定人类能否战胜 |
[35:04] | My therapist thinks I’m gravitating to things because they can’t dump me. | 我的医生认为我被物体吸引 是因为它们不会丢下我 |
[35:08] | I got scared with you,jerry. | 你让我害怕 Jerry |
[35:11] | I suppose I want safety in a relationship,but I realize nobody gets that. | 我期望能安全处于一段关系中 但我也知道没有人可以做到 |
[35:18] | I don’t know what to say. | 我不知道该说什么 |
[35:20] | How about yes? | 为何不答应我 |
[35:23] | how about we just hug and see how it feels? | 为何不仅仅拥抱下 感受下? |
[35:59] | If you ask me,we’ve seen a great evolution in fatherhood over the last 20,30 years. | 要是我说 在过去的二三十年 我们看到了”父亲”这个身份的演变 |
[36:06] | We now have stay-at-home dads,fathers who are the primary caregivers. | 如今出现了家庭妇男 主管家务的父亲 |
[36:10] | Pretty damn good progress from my perspective. | 依我看 这变化棒极了 |
[36:13] | When it comes to a father’s legal rights,however,the law has stayed stagnant. | 但涉及到父亲的合法权益 法律仍显滞后 |
[36:20] | Ms. Tiggs… | Tiggs女士… |
[36:22] | your behavior here is disgusting. | 你的行为简直恶心透顶 |
[36:26] | You knew this man did not want to father a child with you. | 你知道这男人不想和你生孩子 |
[36:30] | You performed a sex act on him to come in possession of his sperm. | 就和他口交 来取得他的精子 |
[36:34] | You used that sperm to impregnate yourself. | 然后用那精子使自己怀孕 |
[36:38] | If the law permitted,I would have you thrown in jail. | 如果法律允许 我会把你扔进监狱 |
[36:43] | But I end exactly where I began. | 但如我开始所讲 |
[36:47] | No court,including this one,is going to order an abortion. | 没有哪个法庭 包括这个 可以命令别人堕胎 |
[36:52] | Mr. Maxwell,your damages here,if any,would be legal,not equitable. | Maxwell先生 如果支付赔偿 这虽合法 但是不公 |
[36:59] | Motion denied. We’re adjourned. | 控诉失败 休庭 |
[37:04] | – Well,we tried. – Yeah. | – 呃 我们尽力了 – 是的 |
[37:06] | Thanks,mr. Shore. | 谢谢 Shore律师 |
[37:08] | Thank you,shirley,katie. | 谢谢你们 Shirley Katie |
[37:12] | I’m going to be a mom. | 我要当妈妈了 |
[37:14] | And I’ll… bet a wonderful one at that. | 我…打赌你会是个好妈妈 |
[37:16] | Well,best of luck,missy. Let’s get out of here. | 祝你好运 Missy 我们走吧 |
[37:24] | I gotta be involved. | 我会负责的 |
[37:26] | If I’m gonna be a father,then I’m gonna be a father. | 如果我将成为一个父亲 我会承担这责任 |
[37:29] | I’d like that. | 我很高兴 |
[37:30] | Not about you. | 跟你无关 |
[37:34] | Terrence | Terrence. |
[37:37] | Maybe you and i could give it a go. | 或许我们可以试一试 |
[37:40] | I really,really like you. | 我真的真的很喜欢你 |
[37:42] | It’s not every day I meet a truly noble person who makes my genitalia flutter. | 不是每天都能碰到 让我蠢蠢欲动的高贵男士 |
[37:48] | I can’t be with you,missy. | 我不会和你在一起 Missy |
[37:51] | We’ll work out this parenting thing,but I can’t be with you. | 我们会解决为人父母的问题 但我不会和你在一起 |
[37:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:03] | A place where nobody dared to go | 无人敢去之处 |
[38:10] | the love that we came to know | 我们已了解的爱恋 |
[38:15] | bye,missy. | 再见 Missy |
[38:18] | They call it xanadu | 他们称它 世外桃源 |
[38:25] | and now open your eyes and see | 睁开双眼环顾 |
[38:32] | what we have made is real | 我们已寻到的真实 |
[38:37] | we call it xanadu | 我们称它 世外桃源 |
[38:46] | so katie kicked your ass. | Katie把你打败了 |
[38:51] | let me tell you something about this katie lloyd. | 告诉你些关于这个Katie Lloyd的事吧 |
[38:53] | She is going to be some lawyer. | 她会成为了不起的律师 |
[38:55] | For her to be this good already,just out of law school,it’s scary. | 她刚从法校毕业就已经这么棒了 太可怕了 |
[38:59] | How far women have come. | 女人已经多强了? |
[39:01] | They used to be objects we jt wanted to have sex with. | 她们曾只是满足我们性欲的玩物 |
[39:04] | Now they’re intelligent,autonomous,powerful things we just want to have sex with. | 现在 她们成了聪明自治有权的 满足我们性欲的东西 |
[39:09] | We may even have a woman as president,denny. | 我们甚至会选出个女总统 Denny |
[39:11] | I had a dream about her as president– hillary,you know. | 我曾经梦到过希拉里当上了总统 |
[39:15] | Tell me. | 怎么回事 |
[39:17] | She invited me into the oval office. | 她邀请我去美国总统办公室 |
[39:19] | We had tea,discussed politics,then… | 我们一起喝茶 讨论政治问题 然后… |
[39:22] | we got right down to it. | 我们切入主题 |
[39:23] | She was fantastic. | 她可真梦幻 |
[39:26] | You had a hillary sex dream? | 你做了个和希拉里做爱的梦? |
[39:27] | Oh,she is so hot,alan,in a dominatrix-praying-mantis sort of way. | 她太火辣了 Alan 有些像一个独裁的荡妇 |
[39:34] | I’d like to have one night alone with that tramp. | 我希望那样徒步流浪整夜 |
[39:40] | What? | 怎么了? |
[39:42] | You have been cranky this week. | 你这星期很古怪 |
[39:45] | Is everything okay? | 你还好吧? |
[39:46] | Fine. | 很好 |
[39:47] | Something’s wrong. | 你有心事 |
[39:48] | Nothing’s wrong. | 没有 |
[39:50] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[39:57] | my sophomore year in college,I got my girlfriend pregnant. | 我大二时 女朋友怀孕了 |
[40:01] | She came to me,told me,and then proceeded to say, | 她来告诉我这事 可马上接着说 |
[40:06] | “don’t worry,I’ve alrea taken care of it.” | “别担心 我已经处理好了” |
[40:09] | It was done. It had already been done. | 处理完了 已经处理完了 |
[40:11] | And I alized that she had probably been scared and… | 我才发现她可能很害怕… |
[40:18] | confused,but I felt completely invisible, | 很困惑 但这些我全没看到 |
[40:22] | as if I had no ability to express | 好像我没有能力去表达 |
[40:25] | love,care,support. | 我对她的爱 关心 支持 |
[40:29] | But for me to have no voice,as if I had no opinion… | 我什么都说不出 好像我没有任何想法… |
[40:35] | when it would have been my child,too… | 哪怕涉及的是我自己的孩子… |
[40:39] | such prejudice against men. | 这是对男人的偏见 |
[40:41] | The issue is always about forcing us to take responsibility,never about our rights. | 发生这种事 总会让我们去履行义务 而不是享受权利 |
[40:47] | there’s a conversation men could have with women before having sex. | 在和女人上床前 男人可以和女人谈谈 |
[40:50] | Perhaps an understanding should be reached before– | 彼此该了解一下 在… |
[40:52] | no,it’s hard enough to get the condom on. | 不 避孕套够难带了 |
[40:55] | now you want to add conversation to the mix? | 在那样的混乱中 你还想再谈谈? |
[41:00] | How many times have you had that problem taken care of with women? | 你和你的女人遇到过几次这种问题? |
[41:08] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[41:09] | On the one hand,I want to perpetuate the species. | 一方面 我想要传宗接代 |
[41:12] | I am,after all,denny crane. | 我毕竟是Denny Crane |
[41:14] | On the other hand,imagine the world– kids running around with mad calves disease. | 另一方面 想象一下 一群疯小孩围着你转 |
[41:19] | I shudder. | 我发抖了 |
[41:22] | don’t you want to be a father someday,alan? | 你想成为一个爸爸吗 Alan? |
[41:26] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[41:29] | It’ll happen. | 你会的 |
[41:30] | Can I be godfather? | 我能当神父吗? |
[41:32] | He’ll need somebody to tell him about women. | 他需要有个人给他讲讲女人的事 |
[41:34] | He can’t have that discussion with dad. | 但他不能和爸爸谈那些 |
[41:37] | You still want that son,don’t you? | 你也想要个儿子 对吗? |
[41:41] | take him fishing,teach him to drive a stick. | 带他去钓鱼 教他怎么用击球棒 |
[41:44] | When he gets older,he can introduce me to some of his girlfriends. It’s all good. | 当他长大些 会向我介绍他的女友 这些都很好 |
[41:50] | People say having a family… | 人们常说 建立一个家庭… |
[41:53] | that it’s everything. | 是生命的全部 |
[41:55] | Are we missing out,denny? | 我们遗漏了什么吗 Denny? |
[41:59] | Well,I feel I have a family of sorts here. | 呃 我觉得 在这 我也有个普通的家 |
[42:03] | I don’t think it’s the same. | 我认为那是不同的 |
[42:05] | I’ve got you. | 我拥有你 |
[42:07] | You’ve got me. | 你拥有我 |
[42:09] | And I feel blessed. | 我觉得这是我的福分 |
[42:13] | How many people have that? | 多少人拥有这些? |
[42:15] | Not enough. | 不多的 |