时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:36] | The district attorney is holding to murder one, | 地方检察官仍然坚持谋杀罪 |
[00:38] | so any chance of a plea is… | 因此任何抗辩的机会都… |
[00:41] | not that either of you seemed willing to entertain one. | 你们俩看起来都不想要开玩笑 |
[00:44] | The more demoralizing news is, | 更沮丧的消息是 |
[00:47] | we don’t think that we can win this. | 我们认为我们可能赢不了 |
[00:51] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思? |
[00:52] | Mr Crane, uh… | Crane先生,嗯… |
[00:54] | Tell him what you mean. I already know. | 告诉他你什么意思。我已经知道了 |
[00:57] | The prosecution has just presented us with another piece of evidence they intend to submit. | 检察官刚给我们展示了他们将要提交的另外一份证据 |
[01:01] | 3 days before your father’s death, | 你们父亲去世的3天前 |
[01:03] | Dr Jacob Levine, you were both seeing this psychiatrist? | Jacob Levine医生, 你们俩都看这个精神科医生? |
[01:06] | But our mother was making us go. What about him? | 是我母亲让我们去的。他怎么了? |
[01:09] | As a result of your last session, | 你上次庭审的结果是 |
[01:11] | the doctor reported to the police that in his opinion, both you, Michael, and Edward | 这名医生给警察做报告表达了他的观点,你们俩,Micheal,还有Edward |
[01:15] | posed a grave threat to your father’s life. | 对你们父亲的生命表现出极大的威胁 |
[01:17] | In short, he feared that you would try to kill him. | 简而言之,就是他害怕你们会把他给杀掉 |
[01:22] | We’ll try to suppress this, but | 我们试着阻止这些,但是 |
[01:24] | we need to seriously consider changing our plea. | 我们需要认真考虑改变我们的抗辩请求 |
[01:27] | To what? | 变成什么? |
[01:29] | Not guilty by reason of temporary insanity. | 由于暂时性精神错乱的原因而无罪 |
[01:32] | Your father abused you, so | 你父亲虐待你们,所以 |
[01:33] | we could go with the, uh, Menendez brothers defense. | 我们可以采用Menendez兄弟抗辩的形式 (注:Menendez兄弟事件,1996年,美国的Lyle和Erik Menendez兄弟用霰弹枪杀害了他们的父母,被指控为一级谋杀。) |
[01:37] | They lost. | 他们输了 |
[01:38] | But we didn’t do it. We didn’t kill him. | 我们不能这么做。我们没有杀他 |
[01:40] | Sometimes it’s not so much about the truth as what the prosecution can prove. | 有时候检察官想要证明的与真相无关 |
[01:45] | And in this case, | 在这个案子 |
[01:47] | it’s Mr Crane’s and my collective judgment that they will be able to prove you guilty. | 这是Crane先生和我一起判断他们是能够证明你们有罪的 |
[01:56] | Look, I don’t care what they say. I, I don’t care what you say. | 我不管他们说什么,也不管你们说什么 |
[01:58] | We did not kill our father. | 我们没有杀我们的父亲 |
[02:00] | And I’m not gonna stand up in court and say that we did. | 我们想站在法庭上说我们杀了 |
[02:02] | It didn’t happen. | 这是没有的事 |
[02:05] | If we should lose, and it’s our belief we will, | 如果我们这样输了,我们的信念也输了 |
[02:10] | you both will spend the rest of your natural lives in prison with no possibility of parole. | 你们俩也将会在监狱度过余生,毫无假释的机会 |
[02:19] | We go to trial. | 我们上法庭吧 |
[02:21] | Edward, is this what you want, as well? | Edward, 这也是你想要的, 是吗? |
[02:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[02:30] | – Alan… – Then we go to trial. | – 那我们上法庭 – Alan… |
[02:39] | It occurs to me that if we should lose, | 对我而言如果我们输了 |
[02:42] | I will no longer be undefeated. | 我将不再是不败的了 |
[02:45] | Thank you, Denny. | 谢谢, Denny. |
[02:46] | I can always count on you to remind me of the bigger picture. | 我经常靠你来提醒我这种大场面 |
[02:49] | And it’s not so much about their lives as… | – 这无关他们的生命作为… – 我的遗产 |
[03:24] | We’re now being told the trial will not start this morning. | 我们现在得知庭审不会在今天早上开始 |
[03:27] | Instead, the defense has brought a last-minute motion to suppress evidence, | 相反,抗辩方在最后时刻提出动议来阻止证据 |
[03:30] | allegedly a doctor’s report concerning. | 据称是一名医生的相关报告 |
[03:34] | Please excuse us. I have no comment. | 不好意思,无可奉告 |
[03:36] | I have a comment. | 我说一句 |
[03:37] | Check out my web site, dennycranelaw. com. | 登陆我的网站,dennycranelaw.com |
[03:40] | I also have a blog on MySpace. Tell your daughters! | 我在MySpace也建有博客,和你们的女儿说一下! |
[03:44] | It’s doctor-patient privilege, anything these boys said to a therapist. | 这两个男孩和那个精神科医生说的一切都是医患之间享有的特权 |
[03:48] | If a doctor fears imminent bodily harm, he can break privilege. | 如果医生害怕受到身体伤害的威胁,他可以打破这个特权 |
[03:51] | Yes, to prevent that bodily harm, | 是的,避免身体伤害 |
[03:53] | but the exception was never meant to allow | 但是这种例外从来都不意味着 |
[03:55] | privileged communications to be introduced in a court of law as evidence against the patient. | 允许特权对话被引入到法庭中并作为对病人不利的证据 |
[04:00] | Mr Shore, everything in this report, | Shore先生, 这份报告的一切内容 |
[04:03] | I mean, the boys fantasizing about killing their father, | 我意思是这两个男孩幻想杀死他们父亲的内容 |
[04:05] | they’ve got a slew of other witnesses to offer the same thing. | 他们也有很多其他的证据来表明相同的情况 |
[04:07] | What is so prejudicial about this? | 那么这份报告还有什么偏见性问题呢? |
[04:09] | Because people tend to automatically believe what doctors say. | 因为人们倾向于自然地相信医生说的一切 |
[04:12] | How else do you explain 50 million Americans taking needless medications? | 要不你怎么解释5000万美国人都在服用毫无必要的药物? |
[04:19] | No, I’m going to allow the testimony. | 不,我还是允许这份证据可以作证 |
[04:22] | Ask that your honor recuse herself. | 请求法官把自己撤换掉 |
[04:25] | – Excuse me? – Bad judging. | – 不好意思? – 糟糕的法官 |
[04:28] | I will see you and Mr Crane in my chambers, please. | 请你和Crane先生到我办公室来单独会面 |
[04:33] | Okay, first, I will not let you turn this proceeding into a joke. | 好,首先,我不会允许你把这个诉讼变成一个笑话 |
[04:37] | But, your honor, Denny and I are a comedy team. | 但是法官,Denny和我是一个喜剧团队 |
[04:40] | Second, I think that I had better appoint another lawyer to co-counsel. | 其次,我想我最好任命另外一个律师作为协理律师 |
[04:44] | This is a murder trial. I think the boys should have separate attorneys. | 这是个谋杀案,我觉得这两个男孩应当有各自不同的辩护人 |
[04:47] | We’ve covered this. I have Michael. | 我们已经解决了,我是Michael的辩护人 |
[04:49] | – Denny has Edward. – No, it’s the same firm. | – Denny是Edward的 – 不行,你们是同一个事务所 |
[04:51] | That’s not co-counseling. You’re not at arm’s length. | 这并不是协理辩护。你们并非毫无关联的 |
[04:54] | Our defense is in concert. | 我们会相互协调进行辩护 |
[04:56] | I want him off. | 我要把他换掉 |
[04:58] | – Why? – Because this is a homicide. | – 为什么? – 因为这是起谋杀案 |
[05:01] | And I have a duty to ensure competent counsel for both defendants. | 我有责任使得两名被告都得到充分的辩护 |
[05:06] | Do you know who I am? | 你知道我是谁吗? |
[05:07] | Yes, I do. You used to be Denny Crane. | 是的,我知道,你过去是Denny Crane |
[05:12] | I will completely vouch for my co-counsel’s trial skills. | 我担保会尽我所能使用协理辩护的技巧 |
[05:15] | Well, you would have to, wouldn’t you? | 嗯,你不得不这样,不是吗? |
[05:17] | Otherwise, your next sleepover might get awkward. | 否则,和你一起过夜的人就会很难堪 |
[05:19] | I can do this case. | 我能接这个案子 |
[05:20] | I am not gonna have you throwing up inadequate counsel appeals… | 我可不想让你这种水平的辩护丢人现眼… |
[05:23] | That’s not gonna happen! | 这绝对不会发生! |
[05:26] | Could I have a second alone, Denny? | Denny,我可以单独谈会儿吗? |
[05:28] | – With me? – With the judge. | – 和我? – 和法官 |
[05:43] | That was uncalled for. | 这毫无必要 |
[05:44] | Well, this isn’t fun and games. | 嗯,这不是开玩笑也不是游戏 |
[05:46] | Both defendants will be fairly and adequately represented. | 两名被告都会得到公平与充分的代理 |
[05:53] | They’d better be. | 最好这样 |
[06:01] | For the record, I was sexually attracted to you. | 过去,我在生理上被你所吸引 |
[06:04] | Now, not so much. | 现在,不会了 |
[06:18] | There’s a smile! | 她笑了! |
[06:20] | She is absolutely precious. | 她绝对是个宝贝 |
[06:23] | And cute. Are you sure she’s yours? | 还很可爱。你确定她是你亲生的吗? |
[06:25] | – How’s Denise? – She’s doing great. | – Denise怎么样? – 她很好 |
[06:28] | Wow, it’s amazing, I mean, when you think about it. | 噢,这太棒了。我意思当你想起这件事 |
[06:31] | We’ve got laws legislating everything in this country, | 我们国家所有的一切都有法律管着 |
[06:34] | and yet, they’ll let you parent. | 现在法律还让你成了父亲 |
[06:36] | Keep trying, Claire. | 接着说啊, Claire. |
[06:43] | Ready? | 准备好了吗? |
[06:45] | Denny, there’s no time for this. | Denny, 我们没时间了 |
[06:47] | Is that what the outside world thinks of me? | 这个世界已经这么看待我了吗? |
[06:49] | That was one very misguided judge’s impression, | 这是一个误入歧途的法官的印象 |
[06:52] | and if you want to set her straight, | 如果你想改变她的看法 |
[06:54] | more importantly, if you want to save those boys, | 更重要的是,如果你想帮这两个男孩 |
[06:56] | and certainly much more important than that, | 当然更更重要的是 |
[06:58] | if you want to safeguard your legacy, you need to go try the case of your life, | 如果你想维护的尊严,你必须要接这个你一生中难得案子 |
[07:02] | which will never happen with you feeling sorry for yourself! | 否则以后你就只能自我遗憾了 |
[07:06] | What’s your name? | 你叫什么名字? |
[07:10] | – Denny Crane. – Who are you? | – 你是谁? – Denny Crane. |
[07:14] | – Denny Crane. – Let’s go. | – 我们走 – Denny Crane. |
[07:17] | Damn right! | 太他妈对了! |
[07:19] | Denny… | Denny… |
[07:24] | Gas. | 放个屁. |
[07:26] | They were pinching me. | 太憋了 |
[07:32] | I really, really, really appreciate you taking this time. | 我非常非常感谢您抽出时间 |
[07:36] | No big deal. I really, really, really do this for a living. | 小事一桩。我真的真的就靠这个活的 |
[07:40] | How can I help ya? | 我能帮你什么呢? |
[07:42] | Well, um, recently I, I went to Las Vegas… | 好,嗯,我最进去了拉斯维加斯… |
[07:45] | Vegas! Love it! Sin city, my second home. | 拉斯维加斯!我喜欢! 罪恶之城,我的第二个家 |
[07:49] | Yes. Well, I… | 是的,嗯,我… |
[07:51] | I lost a lot of money there, $80,000 to be exact. | 在那我输掉了很多钱,确切说是8万美元 |
[07:56] | I have a gambling problem. | 我有赌博瘾 |
[07:58] | I’d say so. The problem is you stink at it. | 我说,你很讨厌赌瘾 |
[08:01] | I’d really appreciate it if you wouldn’t be flip about this. | 如果你对此不那么轻率我将非常感激 |
[08:06] | I want to sue the casino. | 我要起诉赌场 |
[08:09] | No, now gambling is a disease, and the casinos cultivate it. | 现在赌博是一种病,赌场滋长了它 |
[08:14] | They gave me a line of credit. | 他们给我一个信用界限 |
[08:17] | I don’t even have $80,000 for God’s sakes. | 看在上帝的份上,我并没有8万美元啊! |
[08:20] | Hey, you win some, you lose some. | 嘿,时赢时输的嘛 |
[08:22] | Stop it! | 打住! |
[08:30] | I’m very sorry. | 非常抱歉 |
[08:32] | When I meet people for the very first time, | 当我第一次和别人见面 |
[08:36] | I’m not quite myself. | 我并不是真正的我 |
[08:41] | I want to sue. | 我想要起诉 |
[08:44] | They, they destroyed me. | 他们使我受到损害 |
[08:57] | The barrel point of the gun was flush against the forehead and straight. | 发射时,枪管是直正对头部前方的 |
[09:00] | From that, we concluded it wasn’t suicide. | 这样我们确定这不是自杀 |
[09:02] | Why, doctor? | 医生,为什么? |
[09:03] | Well, the victim had arms shorter than mine, | 嗯,受害人的胳膊比我的还要短 |
[09:05] | and as you can see, in order to get a flush, straight entry, | 你可以看到,直接从前方发射 |
[09:09] | I would have to hold the gun in an extremely awkward manner. | 我必须用一个很难受的姿势持枪 |
[09:13] | It’s more likely he would hold it like this. | 这个姿势会更可能一些 |
[09:17] | What if he held it with two hands? | 如果用两个手呢? |
[09:20] | Then he would have had to use a thumb to squeeze the trigger. | 那么他必须用拇指来扣动扳机 |
[09:23] | A print of the index finger was… | 这样他的食指… |
[09:25] | What if Mr Scanlon wanted to make it look like murder? | 如果Scanlon先生想让这看起来像起谋杀呢? |
[09:27] | Wouldn’t he assume the more awkward position? | 难道他不会用这种难看的姿势? |
[09:31] | Maybe, but with shorter arms, a straight entry would be very difficult. | 可能吧。 |
[09:35] | This man had beaten his sons and his wife. | 这个人曾经打过他的儿子和妻子 |
[09:37] | – Objection. – Allegedly so. | – 反对 – 就算不说这个 |
[09:39] | Suppose out of hatred, he wanted to frame them, | 或许是除了仇恨之外,他想要污蔑他们 |
[09:42] | or out of guilt, he didn’t want his life insurance policy to be voided, | 又或者是出于愧疚,他不想让他妻子的保险单作废 |
[09:45] | which suicide would definitely… | 自杀绝对可以… |
[09:47] | – Objection. Speculation. – Sustained. | – 反对。这只是推断 – 反对成立 |
[09:50] | This is a coroner, Mr Shore. | Shore先生,他是个验尸官 |
[09:52] | Let’s keep our questions medically based. | 让我们基于医学来讨论这个问题 |
[09:54] | You cannot exclude suicide to a medical certainty, can you, doctor? | 从医学角度的确定性上看,你并不能肯定排除自杀,你能吗,医生? |
[10:02] | No. | 不能 |
[10:17] | Clarence. | Clarence. |
[10:19] | Hello. | 你好 |
[10:21] | Is Alan in? | Alan在吗? |
[10:22] | – Uh, he’s in court. – Oh, dear. | – 嗯,他去出庭了 – 哦,天啊 |
[10:25] | Is something wrong? | 出什么事了? |
[10:27] | I have a client who lost a lot of money gambling. | 我有个客户在赌场输了很多钱 |
[10:29] | I took the case, though I seem utterly without cause of action, | 我接下了这个案子,尽管看起来我完全没有起诉的理由 |
[10:31] | and I’m just a little fraught. | 我只是有点担心 |
[10:39] | We have no defense, | 我们没有抗辩理由 |
[10:40] | other than to put the boys up there and let them proclaim their innocence. | 除了让这两个男孩在那里一再宣称他们是无辜之外 |
[10:43] | And you can put me up there. | 你们可以把我也拉进来 |
[10:44] | Yes, but you’re their mother. | 是的,但是你是他们的母亲 |
[10:46] | Mrs Scanlon, if you really want to help your sons here, | Scanlon女士, 如果你真的想帮助你的儿子 |
[10:50] | our suggestion is that you convince them to go with temporary insanity. | 我们的建议是你说服他们说他们是暂时性精神失常 |
[10:56] | I go with it all the time. | 我们一直都是这样做的 |
[10:58] | But, but they didn’t do it. | 但是,但是他们真的没有做 |
[10:59] | The idea that your husband killed himself… | 关于你丈夫是自杀的观点… |
[11:02] | the angle of the wound… | 伤口的角度… |
[11:03] | But it’s possible. You got them to admit that. | 但这是可能的。你也让他们承认了啊 |
[11:05] | Yes, yes, but… | 是的,是的,但是… |
[11:07] | They can’t prove that somebody else didn’t do it. | 他们不能证明其他人没有杀他啊 |
[11:09] | There were so many people who hated him. | 有太多恨他的人了 |
[11:11] | There is no physical, testimonial or circumstantial evidence | 并没有物质上的,经过证明的,符合细节的证据 |
[11:16] | of anybody else being inside that house. | 来证明有其他人曾经进入过这个房子 |
[11:18] | What if I said I arrived home with them? | 如果我说我和他们一起回来的呢? |
[11:23] | You already told the police that you were at the dentist. | 你已经和警察说你那时候在牙医那里 |
[11:26] | Well, maybe I lied to the police to throw them off track. | 嗯,可能是我对警察说谎来保护他们 |
[11:29] | Why would you want to throw the police off track | 为什么你对警察撒谎呢? |
[11:31] | if you thought your sons were innocent? | 如果你觉得你儿子无罪的话 |
[11:33] | Maybe I thought that the police were gonna arrest them anyway, | 可能我觉得警察无论如何都把他们带走 |
[11:35] | and a mother has to do what she has to to save her children, | 母亲会尽自己一切来帮助儿子 |
[11:37] | and in this case, it meant lying to the police. | 这里就是说我对警察说谎了 |
[11:39] | – Is that so preposterous? – No. | – 这很荒谬吗? – 不是 |
[11:43] | But your dentist will testify that you were at his office. | 但是你的牙医会证明你在他那 |
[11:49] | Look, a mother knows. | 母亲会知道这些 |
[11:53] | And my sons did not do this. I mean, nobody witnessed this. | 我儿子没有做这些。没有人能证明这个 |
[11:58] | Don’t tell me you can’t establish some doubt. | 别告诉我说你不能构成一些怀疑 |
[12:01] | It has to be reasonable doubt. | 这必须要达到合理怀疑 |
[12:02] | No, it just has to be doubt. | 不,这只是必须要达到怀疑 |
[12:04] | It’s your job to make it sound reasonable! | 你们的工作就是要让它看起来合理! |
[12:05] | That’s why I hired you. You’re supposed to be the best! | 这就是我请你们的原因。你们应该是要成为最好的! |
[12:09] | And you, you’re Denny Crane, for God’s sake. | 你,看在上帝的份上,你是Denny Crane啊 |
[12:13] | How can you give up? | 你怎么能放弃呢? |
[12:15] | We’re not giving up. | 我们不是放弃 |
[12:16] | We will win this trial, Dorothy. | 我们会赢的, Dorothy. |
[12:20] | I guarantee it! | 我保证! |
[12:25] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[12:30] | When we got to the house, he was lying at the foot of the front stairwell. | 我们进入房子的时候,他躺在前面的楼梯脚那里 |
[12:34] | He was dead. | 已经死去了 |
[12:35] | Objection! This man’s not a doctor. | 反对! 他又不是医生 |
[12:39] | Sit down, counsel. | 律师,请坐下来 |
[12:42] | – Denny… – Please continue. | – 请继续 – Denny… |
[12:45] | There appeared to be a single bullet hole to the forehead. | 很明显在他的前额有一个子弹孔 |
[12:48] | The defendants were the only other people there. | 现场只有被告在那 |
[12:50] | Could you describe their demeanor? | 你能描述下他们当时的表现吗? |
[12:52] | Objection. Is he a psychiatrist now? | 反对,他现在又成了精神病医师? |
[12:54] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[12:55] | Objection. Are you a judge? | 反对。你是法官吗? |
[12:56] | Mr Crane, take your seat now. | Crane先生, 坐下来 |
[13:00] | Stop it. | 打住了 |
[13:02] | Did they say anything? | 他们说了些什么? |
[13:05] | They said they came home and found their father dead. | 他们说他们回到家就发现他们父亲死了 |
[13:08] | We proceeded to ask them some other questions, | 我们问了他们一些其它问题 |
[13:10] | at which point the defendant, Michael Scanlon, asked for a lawyer. | 那时候被告 Michael Scanlon向律师求助 |
[13:14] | Did they place the 911 call? | 他们打911了吗? |
[13:16] | No, neighbor, who said he heard a shot. | 不是,是听到了枪声的邻居打的 |
[13:19] | You talked to the boys’ mother when she arrived home? | 这两个男孩的母亲回家是你和她交谈了? |
[13:22] | Yes. | 是的 |
[13:23] | She told you her husband was involved | 她和你说她的丈夫 |
[13:25] | in numerous questionable, if not shady, business deals | 牵扯到无数的问题,生意上的 |
[13:28] | and that he’d actually received death threats recently. | 而他最近也受到了死亡威胁 |
[13:31] | We concluded she was covering for her sons. | 我们认定她是为保护她的儿子 |
[13:35] | You never checked any of this out? | 你并没有做仔细检查? |
[13:37] | I didn’t personally. I’m sure it was ruled out. | 我没有亲自检查。因为我确定可以排除其他可能性 |
[13:39] | Because you people never get it wrong? | 因为你们从来没有犯过错? |
[13:41] | – Objection. – Withdrawn. | – 反对 – 收回问话 |
[13:42] | A witness reported a blue car speeding away shortly after the gunshots were heard. | 有名证人报告说听到枪声后很快就看到一辆蓝色的小车迅速离开 |
[13:47] | Speeding down the street, not necessarily from the house. | 迅速开到街上,并不必然意味着是从那间房子开出来的 |
[13:50] | But it could have been from the house? You can’t rule that out? | 但也有可能是从那间房子出来的? 你不能排除这个吧? |
[13:53] | We never located the car or driver, so… | 我们并没有对这辆小车或司机进行定位, 所以… |
[13:55] | You can’t rule it out? | 你不能排除这个吧? |
[13:58] | I suppose not. | 我认为不能 |
[14:02] | You can’t sue a casino for a gambler losing money. | 你不能因为赌徒输钱而起诉赌场 |
[14:06] | Well, we sort of did. | 嗯,在一定程度上我们要起诉 |
[14:08] | What? | 什么? |
[14:09] | If, if they’re sending somebody, they must be willing, on some level, to settle. | 如果,如果他们促使某人做这种事,他们一定希望,在某种程度上,来解决问题 |
[14:13] | First of all, you’re not a lawyer here. You’re an assistant. | 首先,你不是这里的律师,你只是个助理 |
[14:17] | And you, | 而你 |
[14:18] | certainly you have enough experience to recognize a legitimate cause of action. | 当然你有足够的经验来确定法律上起诉的理由 |
[14:23] | We’ll try to settle it quickly. | 我们会尝试尽快解决 |
[14:24] | If they offer you so much as an Indian-head nickel, you take it. | 如果他们愿意赔偿高达5分钱,那你赶紧接受吧 |
[14:32] | Jerry, how could you possibly take this case? | Jerry, 你怎么可能会接这个案子呢? |
[14:34] | She was an extremely nice lady. | 她是个非常好的女士 |
[14:39] | I didn’t meet her. | 我没有与她会面 |
[14:50] | Why do you get to cross-examine everyone? | 为什么你对每个人都要质证? |
[14:52] | Your turn is coming up soon, Denny. | 很快就要到你上场了, Denny. |
[14:54] | – I’m not here to spectate, you know. – I understand that, | – 你知道我在这不只是个看客 – 我明白 |
[14:57] | but as much as everything is about you and your legacy, | 出了关于你和你的遗产之外 |
[15:01] | we also have two boys whose lives are at stake. | 我们还有两个命在旦夕的男孩 |
[15:03] | – So better to let you do it all? – No, that’s not… | – 所以最好由你全部代劳? – 不,不是这样的… |
[15:06] | You know, last week, when Shirley was so upset about me killing the duck, | 你知道,上周Shirley很不爽我杀死那只鸭子 |
[15:09] | and we talked about how my silliness is more about getting attention | 我们谈到我的糊涂很大程度是要通过吸引别人注意 |
[15:13] | to distract me from what I’ve become. | 来使我变得不再是真正的我 |
[15:17] | You talked about that with Shirley? | 你和Shirley谈这个了? |
[15:21] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[15:23] | Why didn’t you talk about that with me? | 你怎么不和我说呢? |
[15:25] | I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[15:28] | So you’re running around sharing your feelings with others now? | 那你现在是和别人分享你的感受了? |
[15:31] | I’m not running around. She came into my office. | 我没有,她来我办公室了 |
[15:34] | And you felt compelled to open up to her. | 你感觉到你要对她开启心门 |
[15:36] | Look, I thought if I were vulnerable, she’d have sex with me. | 我认为如果我受到伤害的话,她就会和我上床 |
[15:41] | I don’t have that agenda with you. | 和你就不可能有这个 |
[15:45] | Fine. | 好 |
[15:46] | Oh, Alan, for God’s sakes… | Alan, 看在上帝的份上… |
[15:49] | Alan, this came for you special delivery, marked “personal”. | Alan, 这是给你的快递, 标注着“私人物品” |
[15:53] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:55] | Uh, do you know anything about the gaming industry? | 你对赌博产业有所了解吗? |
[15:59] | I have a case against a casino. | 我有个起诉赌场的案件 |
[16:01] | Well, I know a fetching young woman | 嗯,我认识个迷人的年轻女士 |
[16:03] | who used to concierge for some of the Russian high rollers. | 过去曾经看管过一些俄罗斯大赌场 |
[16:08] | She knows all the casinos’ little secrets. I’ll get her number for you. | 她知道赌场的一些小秘密。我把她的号码给你 |
[16:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:17] | – What the hell is this? – What? | – 什么鬼东西啊? – 怎么? |
[16:20] | Nothing on it. | 没写有东西 |
[16:22] | Oh, my God. | 哦,天啊 |
[16:23] | What? What is it? | 什么?这是什么? |
[16:25] | A used condom. | 一个用过的安全套 |
[16:27] | What? | 什么? |
[16:29] | Not mine. | 不是我的 |
[16:30] | Why would somebody send me a used condom? | 怎么会有人给我寄这个呢? |
[16:37] | The stationery’s watermarked. | 这张信纸有水印 |
[16:41] | It’s got that medical insignia on it, the staff with the snake. | 得用药物才能显现出来 |
[17:02] | Sometimes it’s nothing more than fantasy. | 有时候出了幻想之外就没有任何东西 |
[17:05] | As a therapist, you try and develop a feel for distinguishing. | 作为医生,你需要试着建立起一种感觉来区分这些 |
[17:08] | In this case, the threat seemed real, doctor? | 这个案子中,这种威胁看起来是真实的吗,医生? |
[17:11] | Well, the hatred that both of them exhibited for their father was so profound, | 嗯,两个人表现出来对他们父亲的仇恨的非常深刻 |
[17:15] | especially Edward’s, and they were suddenly talking about an end date. | 尤其是 Edward’s, 而他们都突然谈到了最后的日期 |
[17:18] | – An end date? – Yes. | – 最后的日期? – 是的 |
[17:20] | Both of them separately had made comments about “soon it will be over”. | 两人分别对此都谈到“很快就要结束了” |
[17:25] | That’s a very different thing from “one day I’ll run over him with a pickup truck”. | 这与“有一天我会开个卡车把他撞死”这种说法有很大不同 |
[17:29] | If it was just idle fantasy, | 如果这只是个毫无意义的幻想 |
[17:31] | and it turns out my clients had no real intention of killing their father, | 其实我的当事人并没有真正意图去杀死他们的父亲 |
[17:35] | would that shock you? | 这会让你很震惊吗? |
[17:36] | Shock me? No. | 震惊? 不会 |
[17:38] | But the coincidence might shock me. | 但是这种巧合可能会让我震惊 |
[17:40] | Here I’ve got two patients who I’m fairly certain are gonna kill their father. | 我这有两个病人,我确定他们会杀死他们的父亲 |
[17:45] | The father ends up shot in the head. | 而他的父亲就死于枪杀 |
[17:47] | If they didn’t do it, | 如果不是他们干的 |
[17:48] | the coincidence is kind of shocking, don’t you think? | 这种巧合就是震惊,你不觉得吗? |
[17:53] | Smart boys? | 聪明的男孩? |
[17:56] | Excuse me? | 抱歉? |
[17:57] | Do these boys strike you as intelligent? | 这两个男孩的聪明打动你了吗? |
[18:00] | Actually, very intelligent. | 确实,非常聪明 |
[18:01] | Do they seem like they want to spend the rest of their lives in prison? | 他们看起来想要在监狱度过余生的样子吗? |
[18:04] | No. | 不是 |
[18:05] | So if they really did plan to murder their father, | 所以如果他们真的想计划杀死他们的父亲 |
[18:09] | does it make sense that they would say that, not only to you, but to others? | 他们和别人说这件事而不只是和你说不是更有意义吗? |
[18:17] | No, it doesn’t make any sense. | 是的,只和我说的话这毫无意义 |
[18:24] | dennycranelaw. com. Pictures, bios, hobbies. | dennycranelaw.com. 照片、简介、爱好都有 |
[18:27] | I once captained my own spaceship, multitalented. | 我曾经指挥过太空船,天才 |
[18:34] | Denny, that was something! | Denny, 有一套啊! |
[18:36] | I felt. I actually had a little moment in there. | 我觉得,事实上我还是能有所作为的 |
[18:39] | I’m not surprised. | 我毫无意外 |
[18:41] | A great cross is like sex, man. | 成功的质证就跟性爱一样 |
[18:43] | – Did we hear from the lab? – Not yet. | – 实验室有消息了吗? – 还没 |
[18:46] | – Do we know who sent it? – I’m getting a pretty good idea. | – 知道是谁寄过来的吗? – 我有个很棒的主意 |
[18:53] | Welcome to our conference room. | 欢迎来我们的会议室 |
[18:55] | This is attorney Jerry Espenson, and this is the plaintiff Alisa McKenzie. | 这是Jerry Espenson律师, 这是原告Alisa McKenzie. |
[19:01] | Hello. | 你好 |
[19:02] | Uh, thank you again for agreeing to meet us, | 嗯,再次感谢你同意和我们会面 |
[19:04] | and welcome to our conference room. | 并欢迎来我们的会议室 |
[19:06] | You’re too nervous. | 你太紧张了 |
[19:10] | Uh, please, sit. | 呃,请坐 |
[19:14] | Well, I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but you have no claim here whatsoever. | 好,我这不是无礼,但是你们毕竟没有起诉的诉讼请求 |
[19:18] | Yes, well, we believe we do. | 是的,嗯,我们相信我们有 |
[19:21] | Your client took all her money. | 你的当事人拿走了她全部的钱 |
[19:23] | Yes, casinos like to do that. | 是的,赌场都是这样做的 |
[19:25] | You really think that’s fair? | 你真的觉得这公平吗? |
[19:28] | Do I think it’s fair? | 我觉得这公平? |
[19:33] | Okay, Ralph Peters put you up to this, didn’t he? | 好吧,是Ralph Peters让你们这样的吧? |
[19:36] | I should have known. This is a big joke, right? | 我就知道,这是个大玩笑,对吗 |
[19:38] | It’s not a joke! My client lost all her virginity. | 这不是玩笑! 我的当事人输掉了她的贞操! |
[19:43] | Money! | 钱! |
[19:45] | What is this? | 那到底怎么样? |
[19:46] | This is a lawsuit, and your client is the defendant, sir. | 先生,这是个诉讼,你的当事人是被告 |
[19:51] | Well, you tell Ralph that was very funny. I don’t have time for this. | 嗯,你告诉Ralph说的确很好笑,我没有时间玩这个 |
[20:01] | Maybe you didn’t welcome him to the conference room enough. | 可能是你欢迎他来我们会议室的时候不能热情 |
[20:03] | Oh, you were great. “She lost all her virginity”. | 哦,你做得好. “她输掉了她的贞操”. |
[20:06] | I’m surprised when he sat, you didn’t welcome him to the chair. | 我很惊讶他坐下的时候, 你没有把他带到椅子上 |
[20:08] | If I had, he wouldn’t have heard over all your purring. | 如果我这么做的话,他就不会听到你的咕噜声了 |
[20:10] | Oh, I purred twice. | 哦,我咕噜了两次 |
[20:12] | So? | 怎样? |
[20:14] | We opened a dialogue. We think we’ll get something. | 我们开启了对话. 我觉得我们能得到些东西 |
[20:16] | As much as an Indian-head nickel? | 高达5分钱? |
[20:19] | I’m not happy with either one of you. | 我对你们任何一个都很不满 |
[20:24] | You need to go back to the fake cigarette, toothpick thingie or the pipe. | 你还是用回你那支假烟,牙签或管子 |
[20:27] | Yeah, and maybe you could dress up as a talk show host! | 好,那你穿得跟脱口秀主持人一样吧! |
[20:30] | That might scare him! | 这可能会吓到他! |
[20:33] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[20:35] | We’re looking foolish in the eyes of a very senior partner. | 在高级合伙人的眼里我们看起来像个傻子 |
[20:39] | Let’s make contact with that friend of Alan’s. | 我们和Alan的那个朋友联系吧 |
[20:44] | He’d hit them, beat them. | 他打他们 |
[20:46] | Did they ever fight back? | 他们还过击吗? |
[20:49] | Never. They never had a violent reaction whatsoever. | 从来没有. 他们根本就没有过暴力的回应 |
[20:53] | The idea that they could commit murder, it, it’s not in those boys. | 这两个男孩谋杀的念头是绝对不可能的 |
[20:57] | Did you love your late husband, Mrs Scanlon? | 你爱你上一任的丈夫吗, Scanlon女士? |
[21:02] | I suppose I must have to put up with… | 我觉得我们应当… |
[21:07] | – I, I also hated him. – But you didn’t kill him? | – 我,我也恨他. – 但是你没有杀他? |
[21:13] | – Did the police ever question you? – They did. | – 警察问你话了吗? – 问了 |
[21:16] | But you were at your dentist’s at the time of the shooting. | 但是枪杀发生时你在牙医那里? |
[21:19] | – Yes. – We have your word on that, | – 是的 – 我们从你牙医那里 |
[21:21] | as well as your dentist’s, I suppose. | 也听到了相同的话 |
[21:25] | Uh, I guess so. | 嗯,我觉得是 |
[21:26] | What’s your relationship with your dentist? | 你和你的牙医关系怎样? |
[21:27] | Harold Prescott is his name, I believe? | 我确信他的名字是叫Harold Prescott吧? |
[21:30] | – Well, he’s my dentist. – Cleans teeth? | – 嗯,他是我的牙医 – 清洗牙齿? |
[21:33] | The odd cavity, maybe a crown? You two ever make love? | 龋齿洞可能是个皇冠吧?你们俩曾经发生过性关系吗? |
[21:38] | Your honor… | 法官… |
[21:39] | I’m assuming you have a good-faith basis for that last one, counsel. | 我假设你对于你上一句问话有充分理由,律师 |
[21:42] | I do, your honor. | 我有,法官. |
[21:43] | A little gift package arrived on my doorstep, | 我收到个小礼物 |
[21:46] | sent to me by somebody who works in a dentist’s office. | 是在牙医那工作的某个人送给我的 |
[21:49] | The package contained a condom, a used one. | 包裹是个安全套,用过的 |
[21:52] | The down-and-dirty DNA analysis, I’m sure there’s a pun in there somewhere, | 经过肮脏的DNA分析, 我确定肯定有东西 |
[21:57] | revealed traces of both you and Dr Harold Prescott. | 能揭示你和Harold Prescott医生的过往 |
[22:01] | It turns out he’s your lover and a rather nifty alibi | 他是你的情人,也是个漂亮的借口 |
[22:05] | should you want to say you were somewhere else around the time | 这样你就可以说那时候你在别的地方 |
[22:08] | that your late husband had a bullet put in his head. | 当你丈夫头上中了子弹的时候 |
[22:13] | Did you shoot your husband, Dorothy? | 你杀了你的丈夫吗, Dorothy? |
[22:22] | I think I’d like to plead the Fifth amendment. | 我要用宪法第五修正案抗辩 |
[22:29] | Funny, the dentist refused to answer our questions, as well, though he did unwittingly provide us with a lovely DNA sample, as did you, Dorothy. | 尽管他无意的给我们提供了可爱的DNA样本,你也是,Dorothy |
[22:34] | Did you kill your husband? | 你杀了你的丈夫吗? |
[22:36] | I’m pleading the Fifth amendment. | 我要用宪法第五修正案抗辩 |
[22:56] | You love your sons very much, don’t you, Mrs Scanlon? | 你很爱你的儿子,不是吗, Scanlon女士? |
[22:59] | I said I’m pleading the Fifth. | 我说了我要用宪法第五修正案抗辩 |
[23:02] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[23:03] | I’m not gonna incriminate you, ma’am. | 这位母亲,我并不是想要控告你 |
[23:05] | You see, we also got a little surprise package delivered to our office, | 我们在办公室也收到了让我们惊讶的包裹 |
[23:09] | also a used condom. | 也是个用过的安全套 |
[23:11] | It seems someone is out to incriminate you, | 看起来是别的其他人想要控告你 |
[23:15] | leaving open the question of how would they get the condoms. | 留下了他们怎么弄到这个安全套的问题 |
[23:18] | Or maybe the dentist himself wanted to turn you in. | 或许是那个牙医想要把你拉进来 |
[23:23] | Or, maybe… | 或者,可能是… |
[23:27] | you wanted to incriminate yourself. | 你想要控告你自己 |
[23:30] | Can we call on Dr Prescott, please? | 我们可以传讯Prescott吗? |
[23:40] | I think you’ll be happy to learn that the doctor was willing to talk to us. | 我觉得你会对医生愿意和我们交流感到开心的 |
[23:43] | Your honor, I don’t know what’s going on, but certainly none of this… | 法官, 我不知道这是怎么回事,但可以确定的是没有… |
[23:45] | You opened the door on this, counsel. | 律师,这是由你引发的 |
[23:47] | It seems you kind of threw yourself at him 2 days ago. | 看起来你们是2天前开始发生关系的 |
[23:53] | Before that, you two had never gotten together. | 而在此之前你们并没有在一起 |
[23:55] | A desperate mom trying to collect a little evidence to save your boys? | 一个绝望的母亲想要收集点小证据来救她的儿子? |
[23:58] | Objection. | 反对 |
[23:58] | Watermarked stationery, you certainly drew us a neat path. | 有水印的信纸, 你给我们画了条路线 |
[24:01] | – Objection! – Overruled. | – 反对 – 反对无效 |
[24:03] | We have the parking garage records for the day your husband was killed. | 我们有你丈夫被杀时停车场的记录 |
[24:07] | We can verify when you arrived and when you left. | 我们可以证明你何时离开与到达 |
[24:10] | We have several witnesses from inside the doctor’s office. | 我们也有医生办公室的许多证据 |
[24:12] | You don’t have to plead the Fifth, ma’am. | 母亲,你不必用宪法第五修正案抗辩 |
[24:15] | We know you didn’t kill your husband. | 我们知道你并没有杀你的丈夫 |
[24:17] | Only thing you have to worry about is maybe a little obstruction of justice. | 你需要担心的只是这可能对司法公正会构成一些小阻碍 |
[24:23] | But nice try, mom. | 但这是很好的尝试,母亲 |
[24:38] | Oh, I should have known better. It was all much too easy. | 噢,我应该要知道更多的,这太随便了 |
[24:41] | Of course you wanted me to accuse you on the stand. | 当然你是想要我来控告你 |
[24:44] | This was a stupid idea, | 这是个愚蠢的主意 |
[24:45] | made worse by the fact that I didn’t see through it. | 使得事实更糟糕了,我不知道该怎么解决 |
[24:48] | I should have gotten a continuance. I knew I was being set up. | 我需要一个延期。我知道我被整了 |
[24:51] | How could I not have known it was you? | 我怎么会不知道你要这样的? |
[24:55] | This is a horrendous setback. | 这是个可怕的逆转 |
[25:00] | So what happens now? | 那现在是怎么样? |
[25:06] | We put you up there to testify, | 我们要让你去作证 |
[25:09] | which ordinarily would be a bad idea, but… | 本来这是个坏主意,但是… |
[25:16] | we’re desperate. | 我们绝望了 |
[25:18] | Do you agree, Denny? | 你同意吗, Denny? |
[25:23] | Denny? | Denny? |
[25:41] | Who’s she? | 她是谁? |
[25:43] | She’s wired into some of the casinos, including the Botticelli. | 她和一些赌场有联系, 包括Botticelli. |
[25:45] | Alan put me in touch with her. | Alan让我和她联系 |
[25:47] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[25:49] | Has she given you anything? | 她给你爆了些什么料? |
[25:51] | We, we don’t know yet. It seems she only speaks Russian. | 我们,我们还不知道。看起来她只会说俄语 |
[25:54] | Alan didn’t tell us that. | Alan 没有告诉我们 |
[25:56] | She knows everything about how the casinos work. | 她知道赌场所有的运作 |
[25:58] | Ah, excellent. | 啊,太棒了 |
[26:00] | If only you could understand a word she said. | 只要你能明白她说的一个单词的话 |
[26:07] | – Let’s get a translator. – That would be best. | – 我们去找个翻译吧 – 这样就最好了 |
[26:21] | Michael and I were going to the cape for the weekend. | Michael和我去海边度周末 |
[26:25] | Uh, so we were outside in the driveway packing up the car. | 所以那时我们在外面马路上的汽车那整理行李 |
[26:30] | Where was your father? | 你们的父亲在哪儿? |
[26:31] | Inside. | 在屋里 |
[26:33] | He w… he got off work at noon, so he was at home already, drinking. | 他中午就下班了,所以他已经在家了,喝酒 |
[26:37] | Was he home alone? | 他一个人在家吗? |
[26:39] | We, uh, we assumed. | 我们觉得是的 |
[26:40] | I mean, we had just gotten home ourselves, | 我是说我们刚刚到家 |
[26:42] | and our stuff was in the garage, so we just started packing, | 我们的东西在车库里,所以我们才开始整理 |
[26:45] | and it’s not like we were ever looking for an excuse to go inside, so… | 这并不是说我们要找个借口要进去,所以… |
[26:50] | But at some point, you did go inside, didn’t you, Edward? | 但是那时候你的确进去了,不是吗,Edward? |
[26:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:00] | What did you find? | 你发现什么了? |
[27:06] | I know this is difficult, but you need to tell us what you saw. | 我知道这很难,但是你需要告诉我们你看到了什么 |
[27:11] | I saw my father on the floor with blood. | 我看到我父亲躺在地上,流着血 |
[27:20] | What else? | 还有呢? |
[27:23] | I… | 我… |
[27:26] | I saw Michael, uh, with the gun. | 我看到Michael, 呃, 拿着枪 |
[27:29] | – Objection! – I’m sorry, Michael. | – 反对! – 对不起, Michael. |
[27:33] | – Your honor, approach. – Let’s go. | – 法官,我要求靠近说话 – 好吧 |
[27:39] | – What the hell are you doing? – It’s every man for himself. | – 你到底搞什么鬼? – 人人为己 |
[27:40] | I move for an immediate mistrial. He’s completely blindsided me. | 我要立即做出无效审判。他完全暗算我了 |
[27:43] | Hey, I specifically wanted two different firms, | 嘿,我曾经特别要求两个不同的事务所 |
[27:46] | but you assured me that you two could work at arm’s length. | 但是你和我保证说你们两个可以做到公正 |
[27:48] | Because our defenses were in concert. Now… | 因为我们之前的辩护是相互一致的,但是现在… |
[27:50] | That’s the risk that you assumed, against my advice. | 这是你应当想到的风险,不听我的建议 |
[27:52] | – This is a mistrial. – No, you don’t get a mistrial. | – 这是个无效审判 – 不是,我不会做出无效审判 |
[27:55] | You can cross-examine, and your guy can tell his story, | 你可以进行质证, 你的当事人也可以说他的事情 |
[27:57] | but this trial goes on. | 但是审判要继续进行 |
[27:59] | – You’re making a big mistake. – My duty is to my client. | – 你犯了个大错误 – 我对当事人负责 |
[28:02] | Then you shouldn’t make an enemy of me. Your client will suffer. | 你也不能和我敌对啊,你的当事人会承担结果的 |
[28:06] | Get out of my way. | 别挡我道 |
[28:08] | Evidently, I’m not giving interviews at this time. | 很明显,我现在不会接受采访 |
[28:18] | How was I? | 我的表现怎样? |
[28:20] | Perfect. | 完美 |
[28:21] | Now it’s my turn. | 现在到我了 |
[28:22] | Now make sure when Michael accuses Edward | 现在要确定Michael控告Edward的时候 |
[28:25] | you go just as nuts as I did, or the DA will figure this out. | 你要和我一样抓狂, 否则DA就会发现了 |
[28:27] | Got it. | 没问题 |
[28:28] | Denny, not too nuts. Somewhere between anger and… | Denny, 也别太抓狂了. 折中下吧,在生气与… |
[28:31] | Mad cow. | 疯牛之间 |
[28:33] | Right in my wheelhouse, man. | 一切尽在掌握 |
[28:39] | How did you persuade him to return? | 你怎么说服他再来一次的? |
[28:41] | I just did. Have you got the wooden cigarette? | 我就是做到了,你看到我那支木头烟了吗? |
[28:43] | I’d rather not. It’s important I succeed being me. | 没有. 做自己是最重要的 |
[28:47] | What’s happening? | 怎么回事? |
[28:48] | The Russian woman gave us something. | 那个俄罗斯女人给了我们一些料 |
[28:50] | We have another settlement meeting setup with the lawyer. | 我么和那个律师再开一个协调会 |
[28:52] | Great. I’ll be joining you. | 好。我加入你们 |
[28:53] | That won’t be necessary. | 不是很有必要吧 |
[28:55] | Oh, but it will. | 有的 |
[29:00] | Now you told the police | 你告诉警察说 |
[29:01] | that neither you nor Edward had anything to do with your father’s death. | 你和Edward都与你父亲的死无关 |
[29:06] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[29:06] | And suddenly Edward gets up here and says you did it. | 但是Edward突然说是你干的 |
[29:10] | Yes. | 是 |
[29:11] | Did that come as a shock to you? | 这让你很震惊吗? |
[29:13] | – Well, not really. – It didn’t? | – 并没有 – 没有? |
[29:15] | Your own brother turning against you? | 你的亲兄弟指控你啊? |
[29:16] | Well, this morning I told Edward that I wasn’t gonna lie anymore, | 今天早上我和Edward 说我不能再说慌了 |
[29:20] | that I was gonna come clean, I was gonna tell the truth, so… | 我要清白,我要把真相说出来,所以… |
[29:23] | And what is the truth, Michael? | 真相是什么, Michael? |
[29:29] | Well, basically, it went down exactly as Edward said, | 嗯,基本上和Edward说的差不多 |
[29:32] | except I didn’t shoot my dad. | 除了他说是我杀死我们父亲之外 |
[29:34] | – Edward did. – Oh, please! | – 而是Edward干的 – 噢,拜托 |
[29:37] | Mr Crane… | Crane先生… |
[29:38] | – He’s desperately trying to cast suspicion on my client. – Mr Crane… | – 他绝望了,要把怀疑置于我的当事人身上 – Crane先生… |
[29:39] | You’re the one who resorted to desperation! | 你才是那个绝望的人! |
[29:41] | Hey, both of you be quiet! | 嘿,你们两个都给我安静! |
[29:42] | This man is suborning perjury, your honor! | 法官,这个人作伪证! |
[29:44] | Mr Crane, I will ask you to take your seat now. | Crane先生,我要求你坐下来 |
[29:50] | I kind of figured, knowing Edward, that he might try something like this. | 我就料到Edward会这样 |
[29:53] | I guess since he was testifying first, | 我想是他可以先作证 |
[29:55] | he decided to fire kind of a preemptive strike. | 他就抢先来说我 |
[29:59] | Michael, the question becomes “why did you cover for Edward”? | Michael, 问题就变成了 “为什么你要包庇Edward”? |
[30:07] | Because our father was an awful person. | 因为我们的父亲是个很糟糕的人 |
[30:10] | He beat us both, and Edward… | 他打我们,而Edward… |
[30:14] | I know he did this for me, in a way. | 我知道某种程度他这也是为了我 |
[30:15] | Move to strike. | 我们要反驳 |
[30:16] | – On what grounds? – He’s lying! | – 你有什么理由? – 他在撒谎! |
[30:33] | Look, I’ve made our position clear. | 我已经把态度表明了 |
[30:35] | It isn’t gonna change because you brought in Shirley Schmidt. | 即使你把 Shirley Schmidt拉来也改变不了什么. |
[30:40] | Mr Weiner, the casinos have it down to a science, | Weiner先生, 赌场把怎么样操控顾客 |
[30:43] | how to manipulate the customers. | 已经变成了一门科学 |
[30:45] | You said you had something you wanted me to hear. | 你说你有些想说给我听的东西 |
[30:47] | So far I haven’t heard it, and I’m becoming increasingly frustrated. | 目前为止我没有听到,我越来越沮丧了 |
[30:51] | Could you fill me in? | 你能让我听到吗? |
[30:55] | What is that ridiculous sound you keep making? | 你发出是那什么鬼声音啊? |
[30:58] | – Mr Weiner… – Are you two even real lawyers? | – Weiner先生… – 你们两个真的是律师吗? |
[31:01] | Are you in this with Ralph Peters? I’ll kill him. | 你们是不是和Ralph Peters串通好了? 我要杀了他 |
[31:04] | This is a real lawsuit, | 这是个真正的诉讼 |
[31:05] | and I would advise you to take it very seriously. | 我建议你应当认真对待 |
[31:07] | Oh, please. | 哦,拜托 |
[31:10] | There are studies, sir, that link your industry to high rates of divorce. | 先生,有研究表明,你们产业与如此高的离婚率有很大联系 |
[31:14] | Studies funded by anti-gaming lobbies. | 由反赌博游说组织赞助的研究吧 |
[31:20] | – This woman had no experience. – This woman had luck, unfortunately, bad. | – 那个女人没有经验 – 很不幸,那个女人的运气很糟糕 |
[31:26] | 30 million people will visit Vegas casinos alone every year. | 每年有3000万人单独来去到拉斯维加斯的赌场 |
[31:31] | – I would like to finish, please. – I’m sorry. You’re done. | – 拜托给我说完 – 不好意思,我没法再听了 |
[31:36] | Hey, buddy, he didn’t call you in to say pretty please. | 嘿,兄弟,他让你来这里不是让你说的 |
[31:38] | Get your ass back in that chair. | 给我滚回你的椅子 |
[31:42] | What? | 什么? |
[31:43] | Your client gave Alisa McKenzie this, a player’s club card. | 你的当事人给Alisa McKenzie这个,玩家俱乐部卡 |
[31:46] | You know what it is. | 你知道这是什么东西 |
[31:47] | It gives a gambler the sense she’s not spending money so much | 这给赌徒一种感觉,让她通过连续地获得额外点数 |
[31:50] | as earning bonus points toward a free rib buffet. | 使她觉得没有花掉很多钱 |
[31:53] | Gotta love it. | 好喜欢啊 |
[31:54] | You think a jury would look favorably on an industry | 你觉得陪审团会倾向这样的一个产业吗? |
[31:56] | that privately refers to its slots as the crack cocaine of gambling? | 这个产业偷偷摸摸通过老虎机让赌徒上瘾 |
[32:00] | Oh, yeah, sure, let’s all cheer for the good guys! | 噢,当然是的,让我们为你们欢呼吧! |
[32:03] | Tell you what. Pick up your phone, give your boss a call. | 跟你说,拿出电话,给你老板打电话 |
[32:04] | Ask him about something called enhanced air industries. | 问问他什么叫增强型空气行业 |
[32:08] | You know what that is? | 你这到这是什么吗? |
[32:09] | Synthetic pheromones! | 合成费洛蒙(又称信息素或性外激素)! |
[32:10] | It instills a sense of comfort and security. | 它逐渐灌输起一种舒适与安全的感觉 |
[32:13] | It’s a synthetic version of the same pheromone released from mothers to newborns. | 这是母亲传给婴儿的那种信息素的合成版本 |
[32:18] | Some casinos, including the Botticelli, pump it into their gaming rooms. | 包括Botticelli在内的一些赌场都在赌博室中充灌这种气体 |
[32:22] | Don’t you just love that? | 你喜欢这个吗? |
[32:24] | It isn’t enough you ply your customers with free alcohol | 你们用穿着清凉的服务员给你们的顾客提供免费酒类 |
[32:28] | delivered by cleavage-bearing waitresses. | 这远远不够 |
[32:30] | It’s not enough that gamblers sit on ergonomically designed seats | 你们让赌徒坐在人体学设计的座位上,处于时刻让他们兴奋的特制灯光下 |
[32:34] | under lights specifically engineered to keep them alert. | 这远远不够 |
[32:36] | It’s not enough you give them chips and betting cards | 你们给他们筹码与赌博卡,使得他们即使产生债务也不会接触真实的钞票 |
[32:39] | so they don’t have to touch real cash as they incur real debt. | 这也远远不够 |
[32:41] | You have to then gas them with a synthetic pheromone | 你们还要用含有合成费洛蒙的气体 |
[32:44] | designed to make them feel happy and secure | 这种气体是专门设计用来让他们觉得舒适与安全 |
[32:46] | as they’re losing money they don’t have! | 即使他们已经输掉了他们所没有的钱! |
[32:48] | You have absolutely no scientific proof of that. | 你们并没有科学的证明 |
[32:51] | Think not? Well, discovery and experts come with lawsuits, buddy. | 你觉得没有? 诉讼总是伴随着研究与专家的 |
[32:54] | We can test the Botticelli air as early as Friday. | 我们最早就可以对Botticelli的空气进行检测 |
[32:59] | Give your boss a call, sport. Just say “synthetic pheromones”. | 给你老板打电话, 就说”合成费洛蒙”. |
[33:03] | Let me know how he responds. | 然后和我们说他什么反应 |
[33:09] | I’m done being nice here. | 我会好好的在这里 |
[33:11] | Pick up your phone. | 拿出电话来 |
[33:27] | Michael was always the ringleader, | Michael通常都是头目 |
[33:29] | always the one to take matters into his own hands, | 通常都是亲自考虑事情的 |
[33:31] | and he’s the one that did so here. | 这次也是这样 |
[33:33] | The physical evidence backs up everything that Edward said, everything. | 物质上的证据证明了 Edward 所说的一切,一切 |
[33:37] | And did you check out Michael’s demeanor on the stand? | 你们看到Michael在座位上的举止了吗? |
[33:41] | Even, no emotion. | 毫无情绪 |
[33:44] | His testimony was tailor-made, crafted, calculated | 他的作证是经过排练的、精明的、算计的 |
[33:47] | to counter what Edward said. | 来反驳Edward所说的 |
[33:50] | The therapist Dr Levine said | Levine医生刚才说 |
[33:52] | Edward’s hatred for his father was especially profound, | Edward对他父亲的仇恨非常深刻 |
[33:56] | and did you all happen to notice, | 你们都注意到了吗 |
[33:58] | as Michael addressed his younger brother from the witness stand, | Michael在证人席上指出他的弟弟的时候 |
[34:01] | Edward could not bring himself to look at him. | Edward 都不敢与他对视 |
[34:04] | Perfect. | 完美 |
[34:05] | Brother Ed says Mike did it. Brother Mike says Ed did it, | 弟弟Ed说是Mike干的. 哥哥Mike说是Ed干的, |
[34:09] | and you’re left with reasonable doubt for both. | 然后你们对两个人都产生合理怀疑了 |
[34:12] | It’s genius. | 真是天才 |
[34:13] | If you go back into that room thinking, “I wonder which one did it”, | 如果你们回到房间思考, “我不知道是哪一个做的” |
[34:17] | they both go free. | 他们两个都被释放了 |
[34:19] | That’s their strategy. | 这是他们的策略 |
[34:21] | There certainly were others who had motive to kill Joseph Scanlon. | 肯定有其他人有这个动机要杀死 Joseph Scanlon |
[34:24] | The police never investigated. | 警察却没有做调查 |
[34:26] | A car was seen speeding away from the scene. | 曾经有辆车被看到从现场开走 |
[34:29] | They never traced it. They simply arrested the boys. | 他们却没有追踪,仅仅是逮捕了这两个男孩 |
[34:33] | ‘Cause it was such a nice, neat, tidy package. | 因为这是个好的、简洁的、整齐的提议 |
[34:36] | Boys made the threats. They were at the scene. | 这两个男孩很恐惧,在现场 |
[34:38] | Blood was on them, gun with them. | 身上又有血、有枪 |
[34:40] | Why bother to investigate? | 何必麻烦再做调查呢? |
[34:42] | It saved a lot of time to simply arrest the boys. | 简单地逮捕这两个男孩可以省很多时间 |
[34:46] | And maybe the police got it half-right. | 也许警察做对了一半 |
[34:49] | Maybe Edward did it. | 可能是Edward干的 |
[34:50] | If anybody, it was Michael! | 如果是其他人的话, 那就是Michael! |
[34:52] | It was both, | 是两个人干的 |
[34:53] | and they’re both playing you for idiots. | 他们俩拿你们当傻瓜呢 |
[34:56] | You can’t know that it was or wasn’t just one of them. | 你们没法知道究竟是不是其中一个人干的 |
[35:00] | And not knowing which one… | 也不知道究竟是哪一个人… |
[35:02] | There’s reasonable doubt for both. | 这就是他们两个都有合理怀疑 |
[35:04] | Therefore, under the law, both must be set free. | 因此,根据法律,两个都应无罪释放 |
[35:09] | A man was found dead with a bullet in his head. | 一个男人被发现头部中弹而死 |
[35:13] | Discovered with the body were his two sons, blood on their hands. | 他的两个儿子被发现手上都是鲜血 |
[35:18] | The two people who said they would kill him. | 这两个人就是杀人的人 |
[35:23] | Let’s stop wasting time. | 别再浪费时间了 |
[35:32] | Before I even slide this over, it’s nonnegotiable. | 我们略过这些, 这是不可谈判的 |
[35:36] | Absolutely no admission of liability. | 但是绝对不承认有责任 |
[35:39] | If it gets out at all, we’ll revoke it. | 如果要求超过这些,我将撤回我的条件 |
[35:42] | – What’s the number? – I’m not kidding. | – 多少数目? – 我没有在开玩笑 |
[35:44] | This is as high as I’m authorized. | 这是我有权提供的最大数额了 |
[35:46] | You either take it sealed, or else we go to court. | 你们要么签收,要么上法庭 |
[35:49] | At which point, we’ll drag it out for light-years. | 这样那将是旷日持久的 |
[35:51] | The number? | 数目是? |
[36:23] | We’ll recommend it to our client, and we’ll let you know. | 我们会和我们的当事人说,然后再和你联系 |
[36:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:32] | Well, very nice result, you guys. | 嗯,很好的结果 |
[36:35] | And quite a performance, Jer. | 很棒的表现, Jer. |
[36:38] | Yes. | 是的 |
[36:39] | Nice work, Clarence. | 干得好, Clarence. |
[36:41] | You, too, Jer. | 你也是, Jer. |
[36:46] | Oh, God. | 噢,天啊 |
[36:48] | – We did it! – Yes, we did! | – 我们做到了! – 是的,我们做到了! |
[36:58] | They sued a casino. | 他们起诉一个赌场 |
[37:01] | Well, I’m guessing it went well. | 嗯,我猜进展得很好吧 |
[37:04] | That’s your boyfriend in there. | 你男朋友在那边吗 |
[37:07] | Does he hop like that with you? | 他会对你这样吗? |
[37:22] | You okay? | 你还好吧? |
[37:26] | We could both win, both lose. | 我们要么全赢,要么全输 |
[37:29] | One of us could win. | 其中一个会赢 |
[37:32] | The other might not. | 另一个就会输 |
[37:35] | Yes, that’s right. | 是的,对的 |
[37:36] | You closed better than I did. | 你的结案陈词比我的好 |
[37:39] | Your closing was fine. | 你结案也很好 |
[37:46] | I don’t think I could take you winning and my losing. | 我觉得我没法接受你赢我输 |
[37:48] | Is that a bad thing for me to say? | 对我来说这是坏事吗? |
[37:50] | It’s honest. | 很诚实 |
[37:55] | There’s a saying, | 有种说法 |
[37:56] | “success is never so sweet as when accompanied by the failure of a friend”. | “建立在朋友失败之上的成功并不幸福” |
[38:02] | Horrible saying. Probably coined in Hollywood. | 糟糕的说法,可能在好莱坞行得通 |
[38:09] | I want us to win, too, Denny. | 我希望我们两个都能赢, Denny. |
[38:13] | I believe the boys are innocent. | 我相信这两个男孩是无罪的 |
[38:16] | But I especially want us to win for you. | 但是我特别希望我们是为你而赢 |
[38:23] | Success could never be sweeter than when shared with… | 最幸福的成功莫过于与… |
[38:28] | A flamingo. | 弗拉明戈一同分享 |
[38:38] | You have no idea how desperate I am not to be over. | 你不会知道当我没有结束时我有多绝望 |
[38:45] | You think you do, but you can’t possibly know… | 你觉得你知道,但是你不可能知道… |
[38:50] | until you’re there. | 直到你已经变成那样 |
[38:56] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团回来了 |
[38:59] | Ready? | 准备好了? |
[39:01] | Ready. | 好了 |
[39:02] | Pants? | 裤子? |
[39:03] | They’re on. | 穿着呢 |
[39:07] | The defendants will please rise. | 被告请起立 |
[39:10] | Madam Foreperson, the jury has reached a unanimous verdict? | Foreperson女士, 陪审团是否达成一致裁决? |
[39:13] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官 |
[39:15] | What say you? | 请宣读 |
[39:16] | 32666, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts vs Michael Scanlon | 32666, 马萨诸塞州诉Michael Scanlon |
[39:21] | in the count of murder in the first degree. | 关于一级谋杀指控 |
[39:24] | We the jury find the defendant Michael Scanlon… | 陪审团裁定被告Michael Scanlon… |
[39:29] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:31] | 32667, Commonwealth of Massachusetts vs Edward Scanlon | 32667, 马萨诸塞州诉Edward Scanlon |
[39:36] | on the charge of murder in the first degree. | 关于一级谋杀指控 |
[39:40] | We the jury find the defendant Edward Scanlon… | 陪审团裁定被告Edward Scanlon… |
[39:44] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:47] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, thank you for your service. | 各位陪审团成员,谢谢你们的服务 |
[39:50] | You are dismissed. | 陪审员解散 |
[39:53] | – We both won. | – 我们两个都赢了 – 我们两个都赢了 – We both won. |
[39:57] | Still undefeated. | 仍旧是不败的 |
[39:59] | The legend lives on. | 奇迹仍将继续 |
[40:03] | Hey, it worked out for you, too. Never in doubt. | 嘿,你们也没事了.从不怀疑 |
[40:05] | Didn’t I guarantee it? | 我不是保证了吗? |
[40:08] | Denny Crane. | Denny Crane. |
[40:10] | I’m so good, even I don’t believe it. | 我好棒啊,即使我也不相信自己 |
[40:25] | The trial of the century. | 世纪审判 |
[40:27] | And we won. | 我们赢了 |
[40:29] | Together. | 一起赢的 |
[40:31] | You won that trial, Denny. | 你胜诉了,Denny |
[40:32] | It was your idea for them to accuse each other, very risky, but… | 是你的主意让他们互相指控,很有风险,但是… |
[40:36] | It took someone with Denny Crane-sized balls to come up with it. | 让他们接Denny Crane型的球 |
[40:44] | Does it bother you that we suborned perjury? | 我们唆使作伪证让你觉得有麻烦么? |
[40:47] | Not a bit. You? | 一点都没有,你呢? |
[40:49] | Not really. I believe they’re innocent. | 也没有,我相信他们是无罪的 |
[40:54] | Sleepover tonight? | 一起过夜? |
[40:56] | You got it. | 好吧 |
[41:00] | How did the judge know about our sleepovers, anyway? | 法官怎么会知道我们一起过夜呢? |
[41:03] | Who knows? | 谁知道? |
[41:06] | Is it odd that two grown heteros have sleepovers? | 我们两个一起过夜会很奇怪吗? |
[41:11] | Who cares? I wouldn’t trade them for anything. | 谁管呢? 我不会做任何交易的 |
[41:17] | To next season, my friend. | 朋友,下一季 |
[41:18] | I can’t wait to see what we do next. | 我等不及要看我们会发生什么了 |
[41:20] | I’m just getting started. | 一切才刚刚开始 |
[41:22] | Denny Crane. | Denny Crane. |
[41:23] | Alan Shore. | Alan Shore. |
[41:24] | Flamingoes. | 弗拉明戈 |
[41:26] | Till death do us part. | 至死不分 |
[41:27] | Let no man tear asunder. | 没人能拆散我们 |