时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Previously on ‘Boston legal’ | |
[00:03] | You gave me the Crane legacy. | 你赐予我Crane这个姓氏 |
[00:05] | And I fully plan on living up to it. | 而我准备将其发扬光大 |
[00:07] | He’s not my son. | 他不是我的儿子 |
[00:08] | Obviously he doesn’t know. | 很明显他不知道 |
[00:10] | You’re not my father? | 你不是我父亲? |
[00:12] | I’m not terribly comfortable with you working closely with this woman. | 我对你和这个女人工作时那么亲密感到不适 |
[00:14] | You and I are in a relationship, Alan. | 我们在谈恋爱Alan |
[00:16] | The fact that you don’t realize it doesn’t give you license to be unfaithful. | 你没意识到不代表你可以不忠诚 |
[00:19] | You’re mad as a hatter. | 你和一个hatter一样疯 (hatter指英国卢顿以及 斯托克港足球俱乐部的球迷) |
[00:20] | Donny Crane. You remember me. | Donny Crane 你记得我吧 |
[00:22] | We used to be father and son. | 我们曾经是父子 |
[00:24] | I may not have been around much, | 我也许经常不在你身边 |
[00:25] | but I was always there when you needed me. | 但是你需要我的时候我总是在 |
[00:28] | Still I am. | 现在仍是这样 |
[00:37] | I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America | 我宣誓效忠美利坚合众国国旗 |
[00:43] | and to the Republic for which it stands, | 及其它所象征的共和国 |
[00:47] | one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. | 上帝庇佑下的国家不可分割 自由平等与我们同在 |
[00:56] | Well, Denny, that was refreshing and patriotic. What gives? | Denny 这真是振奋人心的爱国方式 谁提出的? |
[01:01] | I, Denny Crane, | 我 Denny Crane |
[01:02] | am going to court to represent the United States of America. | 我准备在庭上代表美国 |
[01:06] | And what has our country done to deserve you? | 我们国家做了什么让你这么干? |
[01:09] | US attorney and the DOJ had to recuse themselves, | 美国检察官 和司法部必须回避此案 (被告方为美国 涉及利益冲突 因此采取回避制度) |
[01:12] | so Alberto appointed me to carry the ball for team USA. | 所以Alberto委托我代表美国出战 (Alberto Gonzales为美国司法部长) |
[01:16] | The greatest lawyer in the world representing the greatest country in the world, | 世界上最伟大的律师 代表世界上最伟大的国家 |
[01:18] | a match made in heaven. | 天作之合 |
[01:21] | Did you know about this? | 你知道这件事吗? |
[01:22] | I did not. | 一点不知情 |
[01:23] | Where’s a sitter when you need one? | 需要为他配个保姆的时候却偏偏找不着 |
[01:28] | And we’re back in court on the Arrow lake water case. | 我们明天早上需要回法庭参与箭湖一案 |
[01:31] | Opposing counsel is relentless. Yet another evidentiary hearing. | 对方律师是个强硬派 因此有另一场证据听证会 |
[01:35] | Denise, per your status report, | Denise 至于你的工作汇报 |
[01:37] | you had your mandatory settlement conference with datemistake. com last week. | 你上个星期和datemistake.com 有一个强制协商会议吧 |
[01:42] | Datemistake.com? Datemistake. com? | |
[01:43] | It’s an internet site where women can vent their ill feelings about | 是一个网站 女性可以在上面 抱怨她们的约会对象 |
[01:46] | the men they’ve dated as a warning to other women. | 以对其他女性做出一个警示 |
[01:49] | Our client Derek Roth has been defamed by them. | 我们的委托人被它所诽谤了 |
[01:52] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 噢 很抱歉 |
[01:53] | I, um, you were just a little in my space. | 我 呃 你占用了我一点点地方 |
[01:57] | Yes, Shirley, did reach a settlement. | 是的Shirley 我们达成了一个协议 |
[01:59] | As for Denny, the judge denied the government’s motion to dismiss. | 至于Denny 法官刚否决了 政府提出的撤销案件动议 |
[02:03] | So the spectacle of Denny Crane | 因此Denny Crane代表美国政府 |
[02:06] | representing the United States will continue to play out in federal court, | 的奇观将继续在联邦法院上演 |
[02:10] | God save us all. | 上帝拯救我们吧 |
[02:11] | What judge did Denny get? | Denny面对的是哪个法官? |
[02:13] | Judge Kimberly Ohlund. | Kimberly Ohlund法官 |
[02:15] | I used to clerk for her. | 我过去为她做助手 |
[02:17] | Her current clerk Dan Jinks and I play squash. | 她现在的助手是Dan Jinks而我和他有过段情 |
[02:19] | I’m e-mailing Dan now. | 我现在发e-mail给他 |
[02:21] | He’ll give me everything from the judge’s political leanings to her basal temperature after breakfast. | 他会给我一切资料 从她的政治倾向到她吃完早餐的基础体温 |
[02:25] | Thank you, Marlene. | 谢谢你 Marlene |
[02:27] | Sorry I’m late, but as usual, I’m really only here for the fruit. | 抱歉我迟到了 但是像往常一样 我只是来这拿水果的 |
[02:35] | Something new. | 有新鲜的味道 |
[02:37] | Alan, Marlene Stanger. Marlene, Alan Shore. | Alan 这是Marlene Stanger Marlene 这是Alan Shore |
[02:39] | A pleasure, Ms. Stanger. | 很高兴认识你Stanger小姐 |
[02:41] | Mr. Shore. | Shore先生 |
[02:46] | Marlene comes to us from Howard and Brock. | Marlene从Howard and Brock 公司跳槽来我们这里 |
[02:49] | Your name came up frequently at my old firm. | 在我原来的公司经常可以听到你的名字 |
[02:51] | I hope amid a torrent of obscenities. | 我希望是在激情迸发的呻吟声中 |
[02:54] | Always. | 总是 |
[02:55] | Good. | 很好 |
[03:04] | I look forward to working with you, Ms. Stanger. | 期待着和你一起工作Stanger小姐 |
[03:07] | It’s not often you meet someone with such ocular precision. | 不是经常可以遇见一个 能够和你对视那么久的人 |
[03:55] | Why won’t you try this case with me? | 为什么不和我一起做这个案子? |
[03:57] | Personal reasons. | 个人原因 |
[03:58] | It’s because you’re red. | 因为你是红色美国人 (红色代表保守主义 只关注本国 蓝色代表自由主义 关心国际事务) |
[03:59] | That’s the old red, not the new red, which is the opposite of blue. That’s good. | 是老派红色 不是反对蓝色的新红色 蓝色很好 |
[04:03] | It’s the old red. That’s bad and pink. | 老派的红色 又坏颜色又淡 |
[04:05] | Regardless of my pigmentation, I promised I’d sit with you. | 请无视我的色素 我答应我会坐在你身边 |
[04:08] | That’s the best I can do. | 我只能做到这一步了 |
[04:09] | Denny Crane doesn’t need any sitters. | Denny Crane不需要保姆 (sitter另一意为坐着的人) |
[04:11] | What are these “personal reasons” anyway? | 你所谓的”个人原因”到底是什么? |
[04:13] | It’s the global gag rule. | 全球计划生育遏制政策(遏制政策禁止接受 美国援助的组织把美国的援助 用于通过堕胎而进行计划生育) |
[04:14] | Nonsense. | 这是废话 |
[04:15] | Gags are dangerous, locally or globally. | 遏制政策是危险的 无论是在本国还是全球 |
[04:18] | You don’t even know what the global gag rule is, do you? | 你根本不知道它说的是什么 对吧? |
[04:21] | I can tell you. | 我可以告诉你 |
[04:23] | The global gag rule forces other countries where abortion is perfectly legal | 全球计划生育遏制政策 强迫法律允许堕胎的国家 |
[04:28] | to stop performing them or even uttering the word “abortion,” | 禁止堕胎行为甚至禁止讨论堕胎这个词 |
[04:31] | otherwise, the United states cuts off their funding. | 否则 美国就中止对他们的援助 |
[04:34] | Donny | Donny. |
[04:35] | Denny | Denny. |
[04:36] | Alan | Alan. |
[04:38] | Donny | Donny. |
[04:41] | What are you doing here? | 你在这里干吗? |
[04:43] | I’m with lawyers without borders. | 我是一个无国界律师 |
[04:44] | They heard you were brought in after the judge denied the government’s motion to dismiss. | 听说法官否决了政府的撤销动议后 他们就把你找来了 |
[04:48] | Liberal pinko. | 我是左倾的自由主义者 |
[04:49] | Please rise. | 请起立 |
[04:50] | The honorable Kimberly Ohlund presiding. | 尊敬的Kimberly Ohlund法官将主持这场审判 |
[04:52] | Denny Crane for the United states of America, your honor. | Denny Crane代表美国出庭 法官阁下 |
[04:55] | Donny Crane for the plaintiff Kavita Pokharel. | Donny Crane代表原告Kavita Pokharel |
[04:58] | I take it you two know each other. | 看来你们互相认识 |
[04:59] | He’s not my father. | 他不是我父亲 |
[05:01] | He’s like a son. | 他就像我儿子 |
[05:03] | This will be a delight. | 看来将会很有趣 |
[05:22] | I can’t believe the squid is working here now. | 我不敢相信那个乌贼居然来了我们公司 |
[05:26] | The squid? | 乌贼? |
[05:30] | In old mythology, they say the squid is the only animal that can kill a shark. | 在古老的神话中 据说乌贼是唯一能够杀死鲨鱼的动物 |
[05:35] | I used to work with her at Howard and Brock. | 我以前在Howard and Brock和她共事 |
[05:37] | And like the mysterious giant squid, | 就像那种神秘的大乌贼 |
[05:39] | the only evidence of her existence were the whopping sucker marks left on her victims. | 唯一能够证明她的存在的 就是受害者身上巨大的吸盘痕迹 |
[05:48] | I take it you didn’t get along. | 我想你们相处的并不好 |
[05:51] | You don’t get along with the squid. | 你不可能和乌贼友好相处的 |
[05:53] | She used to tap into the computer network, steal everyone’s research memos | 她过去常侵入电脑网络 盗取每个人的研究资料 |
[05:57] | and then claim them as her own. | 然后据为己有 |
[05:59] | Why the hell did we hire her? | 到底为什么我们要雇用她? |
[06:00] | Beats me. | 我也想知道 |
[06:03] | I only hope she doesn’t get my Alan. | 我只是希望她不要看上我的Alan |
[06:12] | I was pregnant with my second child. | 我当时怀着我的第二个孩子 |
[06:20] | When I went into labor, my husband took me to the district clinic in Khotang. | 当我就要分娩时 我的丈夫把我送到了Khotang的地区诊所 |
[06:25] | This is in Nepal. | 在尼泊尔 |
[06:26] | Objection. | 反对 |
[06:27] | The witness isn’t speaking English. | 证人不能够说英语 |
[06:30] | We’re aware of that, Mr. Crane. She’s being translated. | 我们知道这点Crane先生 我们有翻译在场 |
[06:33] | Is that legal? | 这样合法吗? |
[06:34] | Shocking, isn’t it? | 很吃惊 是吧? |
[06:38] | Continue. | 继续 |
[06:45] | It was the same clinic where I had my first child, | 我第一次分娩就是在这家诊所里 |
[06:48] | only this time, the doctor was gone. | 只是这次 医生不见了 |
[06:57] | The medical assistant said I had an obstetric fistula, | 医生助手告诉我 我有阴道瘘管 |
[07:00] | and I needed a Cesarean section. | 我需要做剖腹产 |
[07:07] | But because they had no equipment or medicine or a physician, | 但是因为他们那里既没有设备和药物 也没有医生 |
[07:12] | they said there was nothing they could do. | 因此他们无能为力 |
[07:20] | I began to hemorrhage. | 我开始出血 |
[07:22] | I almost bled to death, and my baby boy died. | 我几乎因为失血过多而死去 而我的孩子死了 |
[07:29] | I’m not the only one. Thousands are dying. | 我不是唯一一个遇到这种情况的人 数千人因此而死去 |
[07:33] | Why weren’t there any supplies? | 为什么他们没有任何必要的物资? |
[07:41] | They told me the United states had taken away all the clinic’s funding. | 他们告诉我 美国中止了对诊所的援助 |
[07:47] | Edward Broden | Edward Broden. |
[07:48] | And the man responsible for making that decision was Mr. Edward Broden. | 而作出这个决定的人 就是Edward Broden先生 |
[07:53] | That man? | 那个人? |
[07:57] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:59] | I was a physician in Khotang from 2001 until last October. | 我从2001年开始就是Khotang地区 的一个医生 直到去年十月份 |
[08:05] | Our clinic had been funded primarily by the United states. | 我们诊所主要由美国援助 |
[08:10] | Notice he didn’t say thank you. | 注意到没有 他都没说一声谢谢 |
[08:12] | He’s got a lot on his mind, Denny. | 他在内心里感谢了无数次Denny |
[08:14] | And, Dr. Patel, did your clinic perform abortions? | 那么Patel医生 你们的诊所提供堕胎服务吗? |
[08:18] | No. Even though it is legal in Nepal, | 不 即使那在尼泊尔是合法的 |
[08:20] | our clinic made the decision not to in order to receive US funding. | 为了获得美国的援助 我们诊所决定不提供那种服务 |
[08:26] | However, we hung up a poster that said, | 但是 我们贴了一张海报 上面说 |
[08:29] | “we believe that a woman has a right to control her own body”. | “我们相信 女性有权力控制她们自己的身体” |
[08:33] | The poster was meant to promote women’s rights | 这个海报的意图是要宣传女性的权利 |
[08:37] | and to prevent rape as well as spousal abuse. | 和谴责强奸及婚内暴力 |
[08:40] | But the US aid representative Mr. Broden felt the poster was pro-abortion. | 但是美国援助计划负责人Broden先生 觉得这是在支持人工流产 |
[08:47] | And that was that. | 因此就变成那样 |
[08:48] | We lost all of our funding. | 我们失去了所有的援助 |
[08:55] | You’re looking thin. You should eat more. | 你看上去很瘦 你应该多吃点 |
[08:58] | Some of us don’t have fancy expense accounts to pay for our meals, hmm? | 我们当中有人没有 巨额资金账户来为美餐买单 |
[09:00] | You should get one. They’re awesome. | 那你应该弄一个 它们实在是很好用 |
[09:02] | Mr. Crane… | Crane先生… |
[09:05] | Yes, yes, yes, yes. | 是的 是的 是的是的 |
[09:07] | Doctor, um… | 这位医生 呃… |
[09:09] | Patel | Patel. |
[09:10] | I have in hand here… | 我手中有… |
[09:13] | a copy of the rules that clinics must follow in order to get US aid. | 一份想要获取美国援助的诊所 必须遵守的规章制度手册 |
[09:18] | You, you’ve seen this manual? | 你 你看过这个手册吗? |
[09:20] | Yes, I have. But the rules in it are so vague. | 是的 我看过 但是里面的规定很模糊 |
[09:24] | They’re left to the interpretation of the US aid representative. | 全凭美国援助计划的负责人解释 |
[09:28] | And that representative is hired by an appointee | 而这个负责人是由 |
[09:31] | of the president of the United states, is that correct? | 美国总统任命的 是这样吗? |
[09:33] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:33] | So, doctor, in your expert opinion as a physician, | 那么 医生 用一个医生的专业观点告诉我 |
[09:36] | who the hell are you to question the president of the United states? | 你凭什么可以质疑美国总统? |
[09:39] | Objection. Badgering. | 反对 这是诱导 |
[09:40] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[09:42] | You know the president is against abortion. | 你知道总统是反对堕胎的 |
[09:45] | So in following the rules, it would seem that you would err on the side of caution, | 那么遵照这些规定 你理所应该慎之又慎 |
[09:49] | but you didn’t. You put up an inflammatory poster. | 但是你没有 你贴出了一个有煽动性的海报 |
[09:52] | We didn’t feel it was inflammatory to protect the rights of women. | 我们并不觉得保护女性权利具有煽动性 |
[09:56] | Well, it got me mad. | 好吧 这让我很不爽 |
[09:58] | You have other clinics that get our money, right? | 你还有其他诊所在接受美国的援助 对吧? |
[10:00] | Yes. | 是的 |
[10:00] | Ones who are able to follow the rules? | 那些诊所都能够遵守这些规定? |
[10:02] | Athe point is, Mr. Crane, | 问题在于 Crane先生 |
[10:04] | while you allow abortion in your country, | 你们国内允许堕胎 |
[10:08] | you are trying to deny it to the rest of the world. | 但是却不允许世界上其他国家那么做 |
[10:10] | The people of this country never decided on abortion. | 这个国家的人们从来没有赞成过堕胎 |
[10:12] | The elected officials never voted on it. | 官员们也没有投过赞成票 |
[10:15] | It was nine justices of the supreme court, and people are still angry about it. | 这只不过是最高法院的九位法官的决定 而我们还在为此生气 |
[10:18] | Objection, he’s not asking a question. He’s debating. | 反对 他不是在提问 是在发牢骚 |
[10:21] | – What are you talking about? – The reason why… | – 你在说什么? – 最高法院作出这个决定… |
[10:23] | – I am not… – the supreme court exists… | – 我才不是… – 的原因是… |
[10:24] | is to protect people from their own mob mentality, | 为了保护人们不受由这个问题引发的 |
[10:27] | – which this issue triggers. – I, I disagree. Objection. I disagree. | – 强势文化的侵害 – 我 我不同意 反对 我不同意 |
[10:29] | – Fine. Objection right back at you. – I, I object to your objections. | – 那好 我也反对你 – 我 我反对你的反对 |
[10:31] | Both objections are sustained. Move on. | 两方的反对都有效 继续 |
[10:38] | So doctor, uh… | 那么 这位医生 呃… |
[10:42] | Patel | Patel. |
[10:43] | If you want American money, | 如果你要获得美国的援助 |
[10:45] | don’t kill babies. | 就别杀掉婴儿(不要支持堕胎) |
[10:49] | She wasn’t trying to. | 她并没有打算这样做 |
[11:01] | This is so disrespectful. | 这真是无礼 |
[11:02] | You don’t come home to papa by suing his government. | 你怎么可以起诉你老爹的政府 |
[11:05] | You’re not my papa. | 你不是我老爹 |
[11:07] | Your sperm never touched my egg, and someone has to sue the government. | 你的精子从来没有碰到过我的卵细胞 而且必须有人来起诉政府 |
[11:11] | Look, our policy denies thousands of people | 要知道 我们的政策使得数千人失去了 |
[11:14] | lifesaving medical care based on the personal | 它们的生命医疗保障 而这仅仅是因为 |
[11:16] | religious views of our leader. | 它违背了我们领袖的宗教观点 |
[11:19] | Nothing says democracy like imperialism. | 没有理由民主就等同于专制 |
[11:21] | Why can’t you come to town for once and we just toss the pigskin around? | 为什么你就不能够只是回来和我聚一聚? |
[11:25] | That’s American. | 这才是美国人啊 |
[11:27] | Dinner? | 一起吃晚饭? |
[11:29] | 8 o’clock. | 8点 |
[11:30] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[11:32] | Donny Crane | Donny Crane. |
[11:34] | Donny Crane | Donny Crane. |
[11:48] | We had this settled. | 我们已经协商过了 |
[11:50] | Upon further review of the agreement, Mr. Roth didn’t approve. | 在详细地审视了这份协议后 Roth先生不太满意 |
[11:53] | I don’t know what game you’re playing here, | 我不知道你想玩什么花样 |
[11:55] | but you’re not getting another dime from us. | 但是你不会从我们这里得到更多的东西了 |
[11:56] | Please don’t address my client directly. | 请别直接和我的委托人说话 |
[11:59] | Talk to me. | 有话和我说 |
[12:03] | Your client should know that our original offer was more than generous. | 你的委托人应该知道我们原来提出的方案 已经是够慷慨的了 |
[12:08] | That’s not the way I see it. | 我可不这么认为 |
[12:10] | 13 months ago, Derek went out on a few dates with one Monique Foster, | 13 个月之前Derek 和一位 Monique Foster小姐约会了几次 |
[12:14] | otherwise known at your web site, datemistake. com, as anonymous. | 也就是你的网站datemistake.com 上面的那位无名氏 |
[12:17] | Things didn’t work out and he broke up with her. | 可是进展不顺利 于是他和她分手了 |
[12:18] | A few months later, he met someone else, fell in love and got engaged. | 几个月之后 他遇到了 另一个令他倾心的女性并且订了婚 |
[12:21] | Things looked rosy. | 听起来很浪漫 |
[12:23] | Yeah, until anonymous found datemistake. com | 是的 直到无名氏发现了 datemistake.com这个网站 |
[12:25] | and started posting all these lies about me. | 然后在上面发贴子污蔑我 |
[12:27] | His fiancee found him prominently displayed on the site and broke up with Derek two days later. | 他的未婚妻在网站显眼的地方发现了 他的名字 二天后就和他分手了 |
[12:31] | We all know what happened, Ms. Stanger. We reached the original settlement. | 我们知道发生了什么Stanger小姐 我们在之前也达成了协议 |
[12:34] | What we didn’t know was the rest of the story. | 可是我们不知道还有下文 |
[12:36] | Now anytime someone tries to google my name or my company, “Roth’s plumbing supply,” | 现在如果有人在google里输入我的名字 或者我的公司”Roth’s铅管供应商” |
[12:40] | instead of finding my web site, yours is the first site that comes up. | 出现在搜索首位的不是我的网站 而是你们的 |
[12:44] | My sales have dropped 40% since this posting. | 我的销售额自从这个事件后下跌了40% |
[12:46] | You could’ve posted a rebuttal, responded to anonymous’ opinions of you. | 你可以对此作出辩驳 用同样匿名的方式来表达你的观点 |
[12:50] | But why should I have to? | 但是为什么我要这么做? |
[12:52] | You destroy my client’s reputation, his business, | 你毁坏了我委托人的名声和生意 |
[12:54] | you humiliate him in public, then force him to fix the damages that you’ve caused. | 你当众侮辱他 迫使他收拾你所留下的残局 |
[12:59] | That’s lika glass company throwing rocks through your window then saying, | 这就像玻璃公司向你的窗户 丢一块石头然后说 |
[13:01] | “hey, need to buy a new window?” | “嗨 需要再买一块新玻璃窗吗?” |
[13:04] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[13:06] | Nancy | Nancy. |
[13:07] | Derek | Derek. |
[13:08] | Denise, right. You know everyone. | Denise 很好 你都认识 |
[13:10] | I do. | 我当然认识 |
[13:12] | May I see you? | 我能和你谈一下吗? |
[13:14] | Of course. | 当然 |
[13:21] | What the hell are you doing with my client? | 你到底和我的委托人在干什么? |
[13:25] | Well, Denise, uh, | Denise 呃 |
[13:26] | I was looking over some of your settlement agreements, | 我之前看了看你的协商条款 |
[13:29] | just to see how things worked around here. | 只是想看看这里的做事方式 |
[13:30] | Some firms are quite formal and sticklers for grammar and language. | 因为有些公司对格式和文法很讲究 |
[13:34] | I see around here anything goes, which is fine, I just needed to know. | 我观察了一下这里的运作 很好 我只是想要了解一下 |
[13:37] | What are you doing with my client? | 你和我的委托人在一起干什么? |
[13:40] | I looked at the settlement figure you had. | 我看了看你起草的那份协议 |
[13:42] | I thought we could do better. | 我想我们可以做得更好 |
[13:44] | I saw Denny was the assigned partner in the case… | 这时我看见Denny是主管这个案子的合伙人… |
[13:46] | You, you went to Denny behind my back to steal my case? | 你 你背着我 跑到Denny那里去偷了我的案子? |
[13:49] | Oh, no, no. God, no. | 噢 不是 不是的 上帝 不是这样 |
[13:50] | I just told him my thoughts. | 我只是告诉他我的想法 |
[13:52] | He was very encouraging and told me to go for it. | 他非常高兴 然后鼓励我去做 |
[13:54] | So I held the documents from being published, made a few calls, | 因此我收回了这份还没签署的文件 打了几个电话 |
[13:57] | and well, here we are. | 然后 我们就在这里了 |
[13:58] | Our client is really, really happy and I think we can ring these people up for some big bucks. | 我们的委托人真的非常高兴 而我想我们可以为他们争取到更多的钱 |
[14:01] | There’s only one problem with that, Marlene. | 只存在一个问题Marlene |
[14:03] | Derek in there doesn’t have a case. | 那里坐着的Derek并没有起诉的理由 |
[14:05] | The $10,000 settlement I got him was a gift from datemistake. com to make him go away. | 我为他争取到的这1万美元的协议 是datemistake.com用来打发他的 |
[14:10] | I think we could get more, and if you agree with me, | 我想我们可以争取到更多 如果你同意我的意见的话 |
[14:13] | I would love to share this case with you. | 我愿意和你分享这个案子 |
[14:16] | We’re leaving, as is our original offer. | 我们走了 原协议作废 |
[14:20] | They’ll be back. | 他们会回来的 |
[15:00] | She just went to Denny and stole my case. | 她就这样跑到Denny那里去偷了我的案子 |
[15:03] | Just stole it. | 就这样偷了它 |
[15:05] | Okay. | 好了 |
[15:06] | Did you know that at her old firm they called her “the squid”? | 你知道她在她原来的公司被称作乌贼吗? |
[15:10] | The squid? | 乌贼? |
[15:14] | The only thing that can kill a shark? | 唯一能够杀死鲨鱼的东西? |
[15:16] | But what really gets me about these people | 但是真正使我恼火的是那些 |
[15:19] | is how they’re so obvious and manipulative. | 容易被看透和被影响的人们 |
[15:22] | And you’re trying to manipulate our friendship to get me to do something about this. | 那你现在在试图向我 施加影响为此去做一些事情 |
[15:26] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:27] | After she stole my case, | 在她偷了我的案子之后 |
[15:29] | she had the nerve to tell me we could “share” it. | 她居然还敢对我说要和我”分享”它 |
[15:32] | Marlene is a first-rate lawyer. She brings in a lot of money. | Marlene是一个优秀的律师 她能为公司赚很多钱 |
[15:35] | She almost made partner at Howard and Brock. | 她在Howard and Brock事务所 几乎当上了合伙人 |
[15:38] | We recruited her with the understanding | 我们雇用她是基于这样一个共识 |
[15:40] | that if she does as well here as she did there, | 如果她在这里能够 做得像在原来事务所那样好 |
[15:42] | she would make partner in the next vote. | 下次投票时她就可以成为合伙人 |
[15:45] | And you’re okay with that? | 而你对此感到没问题? |
[15:46] | I am, yeah. | 我是的 |
[15:49] | Look, Denise, you have a very bright future here but… | 看 Denise 你在这里有着美好的未来 但是… |
[15:54] | let me put this as gently as I can. | 让我尽量把话说婉转点 |
[15:59] | Toughen up. | 你要变得更强 |
[16:11] | Are you seeing anyone? | 你有在约会吗? |
[16:13] | Not really. You? | 不算吧 你呢? |
[16:15] | I got married. | 我结婚了 |
[16:17] | Married? | 结婚了? |
[16:18] | For a day. | 维持了一天 |
[16:19] | We tried to contact you for the wedding, but you were nowhere to be found. | 我们试图请你来婚礼 但是我们找不到你 |
[16:25] | Um, question. | 呃 有个问题 |
[16:29] | Do the girls actually talk? | 这些女孩不说话吗? |
[16:32] | I’m not quite sure of the etiquette here. | 我不肯定这是不是一种礼节 |
[16:34] | I, I don’t think there’s a question of etiquette, son. | 我 我不认为这是一个关于礼节的问题 孩子 |
[16:38] | They’re escorts. | 她们是装饰品 |
[16:41] | So you like flying around the world, | 那么你喜欢全世界到处飞 |
[16:43] | picking up strangers, bringing them to our courts? | 挑选陌生人 然后带他们回来打官司? |
[16:46] | It isn’t a matter of liking. | 这不是喜欢不喜欢的问题 |
[16:48] | I’m trying to make people understand. | 我在试图使人们明白 |
[16:50] | All these clinics forced to close their doors | 仅仅是因为我们总统的几个字 |
[16:53] | by the simple stroke of the pen of our president. | 所有这些诊所就被强迫关门 |
[16:56] | Now here we are in Boston | 现在我们在波士顿 |
[16:58] | where there are eight world-class hospitals within a 10-mile radius. | 这儿10英里的半径内 就有着8间世界顶级的医院 |
[17:02] | We don’t see it. | 我们看不到这些情况 |
[17:04] | I’m hoping Kavita will help us see it. | 我希望Kavita能够让我们对此有所了解 |
[17:06] | Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. | 噢 噢 噢 噢 噢 噢 |
[17:08] | I got the picture now. | 我知道了 |
[17:10] | This is all about beating your old man, isn’t it, son? | 归根到底就是为了打败你的老爸 对吧 孩子? |
[17:15] | For once, this isn’t about you. | 曾经是 但是这次不是 |
[17:17] | Then you won’t mind losing. | 那你就不会介意你会输掉了 |
[17:19] | I’ve got the law on my side. | 法律站在我这边 |
[17:22] | Plus, the United states government and Denny Crane. | 此外 美国政府和Denny Crane |
[17:26] | Two equal and unstoppable forces. | 两个同样强大和无法阻止的存在 |
[17:29] | And I’ve got a sympathetic judge | 但是我有一个充满同情心的法官 |
[17:32] | and an honest woman who lost her child. | 还有一个失去了孩子的诚实的母亲 |
[17:36] | You always taught me, emotion wins. | 你总是教我 感情制胜 |
[17:41] | Isn’t he something? | 他了不起吧? |
[17:55] | We’re late. | 我们要迟到了 |
[17:56] | You’re late. | 你要迟到了 |
[17:57] | I’m not going. | 我不去了 |
[17:59] | That time of the month? | 你那个来了? |
[18:00] | Come on. | 别这样 |
[18:02] | We’re having fun. | 我们会玩得很开心的 |
[18:04] | You’re having fun, | 是你会很开心 |
[18:06] | sweeping into court trying a monumental case | 横扫法庭 打一场不朽的官司 |
[18:10] | about which there is much to be thoughtful, much to articulate, | 一场发人深省的 字字属实的官司 |
[18:13] | about which you know almost nothing. | 一场你几乎是一无所知的官司 |
[18:16] | And you’re using nothing | 一场你用轻松的笑话 名贵的西装 |
[18:17] | but easy jokes, a swell suit and blind patriotism. | 和盲目的爱国心就打发掉的官司 |
[18:21] | You’re jealous of my son. | 你在嫉妒我的孩子 |
[18:23] | Denny, you don’t have a son, and the truth is, | Denny 你没有孩子 而事实上 |
[18:26] | you’re making a complete ass out of yourself in that courtroom about something you shouldn’t. | 你在庭上像个傻瓜出尽了洋相 而这些错你不应该犯的 |
[18:31] | I don’t care to see it or support it. | 我不想看见或者忍受这些了 |
[18:33] | There’s a difference between being an ass and being effective. | 傻瓜和装傻是有分别的 |
[18:35] | When you win, they say you’re effective. When you lose, which I never do, | 当你赢了 他们会说你这招很有效 当你输了 当然我从不会输 |
[18:39] | they call you an ass. | 你们会叫你傻瓜 |
[18:43] | I don’t need you, Alan. | 我不需要你Alan |
[18:46] | I don’t need anybody. | 我不需要任何人 |
[18:49] | Never have. | 从来不 |
[18:51] | Never will. | 永远不 |
[19:02] | I was in charge of the US aid office in the Northeastern region of Nepal. | 我负责尼泊尔东北部地区的美国援助工作 |
[19:07] | Part of my job was to enforce the rules of the Mexico city policy. | 我的工作之一就是贯彻墨西哥城政策 |
[19:11] | What policy? | 什么政策? |
[19:13] | Everything comes with rice and beans. | 所有事情都和大米大豆有关 |
[19:15] | No, the name of the policy in question is the Mexico city policy. | 不 这个政策的名字叫做墨西哥城政策 |
[19:20] | But opponents erroneously refer to it as the global gag rule. | 但是对方把它谬称为全球计划生育遏制政策 |
[19:25] | All right. So what are we doing in Mexico? | 好吧 我们在墨西哥做了什么? |
[19:27] | That’s where president Reagan first enacted the policy in 1984. | 那里是里根总统于1984年 首次颁布这个政策的地方 |
[19:31] | It was enacted as a reaction to forced abortions | 这个政策是对中国将强制堕胎作为 |
[19:34] | in China as a means of population control. | 计划生育手段的一种遏制 |
[19:36] | Chinese, Mexican, anybody hungry? | 中国人 墨西哥人 有人饿了吗? |
[19:39] | Objection. | 反对 |
[19:40] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[19:41] | All right, let’s get back to America. | 好吧 让我们回到美国 |
[19:43] | Are you saying that these policies were enacted as a humanitarian gesture? | 你是说我们是站在人道主义 的立场上颁布这项政策的? |
[19:47] | Yes, it was. | 是的 当时是 |
[19:48] | And is it in the United states’ discretion to decide which clinics get funding? | 那是不是由美国来判断 哪些诊所可以得到援助? |
[19:54] | As a part of our governmental function, yes. | 作为政府行为的一部分 是的 |
[19:57] | Determining funding is a purely governmental function. | 决定采取援助是一项纯粹的政府行为 |
[20:02] | And, uh, governments are immune under the, uh… | 而且 呃 政府具有豁免权 根据 呃… |
[20:09] | under the, uh… | 根据 呃… |
[20:15] | federal tort claims act. | 联邦侵权赔偿法 |
[20:18] | Right. | 没错 |
[20:21] | Therefore… | 因此… |
[20:25] | you will move for dismissal, and I will again deny the motion. | 你会要求撤销此案 而我将会继续否决你的要求 |
[20:29] | Move on. | 继续 |
[20:33] | Nothing further, your honor. | 我问完了 法官阁下 |
[20:47] | You, uh, you say this was done as a humanitarian effort. | 你 呃 你说这是基于人道主义的立场 |
[20:51] | However, the rule was instituted by president Reagan, | 但是 这个政策是由里根总统提出 |
[20:55] | continued under the first president Bush, | 在老布什总统执政时期得以保留 |
[20:57] | then rescinded during the Clinton administration. | 然后在克林顿总统任期间被废除 |
[21:01] | That’s true. | 是的 |
[21:02] | And the day George W. Bush took office, | 当小布什总统上台后 |
[21:04] | reinstating the global gag rule was one of his first official pieces of business. | 恢复全球计划生育遏制政策 成为了他首要事务之一 |
[21:10] | That sounds political to me. | 这对我来说更像政治立场 |
[21:12] | Objection, uh… | 反对 呃… |
[21:13] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[21:14] | So the policy was designed to stop abortion as a method of family planning? | 那么这个政策阻止的是 因为强制计划生育而堕胎的情况? |
[21:21] | Yes. | 是的 |
[21:22] | Even though, by withdrawing funding from those clinics, | 即便如此 通过中断对这些诊所的援助 |
[21:25] | they no longer have money for any family planning, | 他们是否也不再有能力 来实施任何的家庭计划生育 |
[21:28] | which could stop unwanted pregnancies and the need for abortions? | 例如中止意外怀孕或者孕妇本身要求流产? |
[21:33] | Mr. Broden, you’re not the only US aid representative | Broden先生 你不是唯一的一个面对这种 |
[21:36] | that has to deal with this issue, are you? | 困境的美国援助计划代表 对吗? |
[21:38] | No, I’m not. | 是的 我不是 |
[21:39] | The truth is that our global gag rule is affecting, well… | 事实上 我们的全球计划生育遏制政策正在影响… |
[21:44] | the globe. | 全球 |
[21:46] | The Balkans, Africa, South America, Asia, | 巴尔干半岛 非洲 南美 亚洲 |
[21:49] | any place dependant on US funding is not allowed to even utter the word “abortion”. | 任何依靠美国援助的地方 都甚至不允许提及”堕胎”这个词 |
[21:56] | Yes, that’s true. | 是的 这是事实 |
[21:57] | So don’t you think it’s curious | 我们的政府出台阻止堕胎这种政策 |
[21:59] | that in our administration’s quest to stop abortion, | 实际上我们是在限制言论自由 而言论自由这恰恰是民主的特征 |
[22:02] | we’re actually restricting free speech, which is a hallmark of democracy? | 那么你不认为我们这样很奇怪么? |
[22:07] | Objection. Irrelevant and unpatriotic. | 反对 无关而且不爱国 |
[22:10] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[22:42] | Datemistake.com. Datemistake. com. | |
[22:44] | Thank goodness technology has progressed to the point | 谢天谢地 科技终于发展到这个程度 |
[22:48] | where we no longer have to deal with our issues privately. | 我们不再需要自己隐秘地处理自己的事务了 |
[22:53] | So any of my misadventures chronicled in there? | 上面有关于我的流言蜚语么? |
[22:58] | No. | 没有 |
[23:00] | Surprised? | 很惊讶? |
[23:01] | A little. | 一点点 |
[23:03] | As to the fact that you checked on me, no. | 而对于你会在上面调查我的事 我不吃惊 |
[23:16] | Just so you know, that little incident would be considered sexual harassment. | 你要知道 你刚才的话可以被认为是性骚扰 |
[23:20] | You’re quite intoxicating. Oops. | 你真迷人 哇 |
[23:23] | Did it again. | 再说一次 |
[23:25] | But you won’t report me to the bosses. | 但是你不会向老板们投诉我的 |
[23:28] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[23:30] | Marlene… | Marlene… |
[23:31] | while I haven’t known you long, | 虽然我认识你时间不长 |
[23:33] | I get the feeling your best work is done behind your colleague’s back. | 我可以感觉的到 你最拿手的就是背着同事做事 |
[23:36] | If you were to report me, you certainly wouldn’t have warned me first. | 如果你真的要投诉我 你肯定不会先警告我 |
[23:39] | And besides, what you’d really like to do is wrap your legs around me | 此外 你真正想做的是 用你的腿缠绕着我 |
[23:42] | and scream at the top of your lungs. | 用尽全力尖叫 |
[23:44] | You’re allowed one, aren’t you? | 你想来一次 是吗? |
[23:47] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[23:53] | How about I just clear everything off this desk? | 不如我直接把台面清空? |
[23:56] | We can take care of things right now, | 我们可以就地解决一下 |
[23:59] | then afterwards, you can write me up and send me on my way. | 在那之后 你可以写报告投诉我 |
[24:03] | You’re repulsive. | 你真令人厌恶 |
[24:05] | You’re right. | 你说的对 |
[24:06] | And yet I can see in your eyes you’re not completely repulsed. | 但是我从你的眼里看到 你并不是对此完全感到厌恶 |
[24:11] | And therein lies the rub. | 而这就是麻烦所在 |
[24:37] | You can’t hold someone liable for expressing an opinion. | 你不能因为某人发表言论而让其负上责任 |
[24:39] | And besides, truth is a defense. | 而且 事实胜于雄辩 |
[24:41] | There are no objectively false facts here. | 我们这儿并没有任何客观上的错误内容 |
[24:43] | Oh, you gotta be kidding me. | 噢 你是在说笑吗 |
[24:45] | Anonymous called me cheap. | 那个无名氏说我很吝啬 |
[24:47] | Where did you take anonymous to dinner? | 你带她去哪里吃晚饭? |
[24:49] | Jimmy Changas | Jimmy Changas. |
[24:50] | And is it true that you used a coupon? | 你是否真的用了优惠券? |
[24:53] | Uh, that’s not cheap. That’s smart. | 呃 这不是吝啬 这是聪明 |
[24:55] | And did you pay? | 你付帐了吗? |
[24:57] | Yes, I did. | 是的 |
[24:58] | And did she pay, too? | 她也付帐了吗? |
[25:00] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:01] | He treated her as an equal, | 他平等地对待她 |
[25:03] | which only proves he’s a feminist as well as resourceful. | 只能说明他是一个足智多谋的女权主义者 |
[25:06] | Anonymous didn’t post that on there. | 而那个无名氏没有把这点说清楚 |
[25:08] | Yeah, and she says I have no sense of humor. | 是啊 而且她说我没有幽默感 |
[25:10] | I make jokes all the time. | 我经常说笑话 |
[25:12] | Those aren’t jokes. Those are puns. Puns aren’t funny. | 那些不是笑话 那些是双关语 双关语不好笑 |
[25:15] | Well, that’s just your… | 这只是你的… |
[25:17] | opunion, isn’t it? | opunion(意见) 不是吗? (他把opinion(意见)和pun(双关语) 合在一起了) |
[25:19] | Oh, dear God. | 噢 天啊 |
[25:21] | Look, Denise, | 你看 Denise |
[25:23] | we agreed to return to the table in good faith based on your reputation, | 我们同意回到这里 是完全是看在你良好的名声的份上 |
[25:27] | but you haven’t given us any reason to even go back to the original agreement. | 但是你没有给我们任何能让我们 甚至是同意最初的协议的理由 |
[25:30] | All of the facts are on our side. | 所有的事实都站在我们这一边 |
[25:32] | But we may have more plaintiffs on our side. | 但是有更多的原告站在我们这一边 |
[25:34] | With just a quick search on your web site, | 在快速浏览了你们的网站后 |
[25:37] | we have found ten men willing to come forward who were defamed with false statements. | 我们发现10个男性愿意出来指控你们诽谤 |
[25:40] | It’s a fact, not opinion. | 这是事实 不是想法 |
[25:44] | You never mentioned these men in your previous negotiations. | 你上次并没有提过这些人 |
[25:48] | We were just focusing on our client, and we were hoping you would be reasonable. | 我们只是把注意力集中在我们的委托人身上 而我们曾希望你们会通情达理一点 |
[25:52] | But you’re not being reasonable. | 但是你没没有 |
[25:54] | So we’re expanding this case to a class action suit. | 所以我们只好把这个案子扩大为集体诉讼 |
[25:57] | As to the facts… | 至于诉讼内容… |
[25:59] | Brett Doran does not still live with his mother. | Brett Doran不再和他母亲一起住了 |
[26:03] | Jack Bostick does not have a 1-inch Johnson, even on a cold day. | Jack Bostick的那话儿不止1英寸 就算是在冷天 |
[26:08] | I could go on. | 我还可以继续 |
[26:09] | There are 300,000 more postings and plenty of eager associates to review them. | 那儿还有超过30万张帖子 而我有很多热心的同事等着检查它们 |
[26:22] | We’ll give you a chance to talk this over. Marlene. | 我给你一个机会商量一下 Marlene |
[26:34] | You posted these complaints yourself, didn’t you? | 这些帖子是你自己贴上去的 是吗? |
[26:37] | I’d have to be an idiot to do that. | 我一定是个傻瓜才会那么做 |
[26:39] | So you had someone else do it for you. A sister, a girlfriend? | 所以你让别人帮你做 一个姐妹或者一个女朋友? |
[26:43] | Denise, while you were out on a date last night, | Denise 当你昨晚出去约会的时候 |
[26:45] | I was here until 3 o’clock in the morning hunting these guys down. | 我在这儿呆到早上3点把这些人找出来 |
[26:48] | All it took was some hard work and long hours, but I was willing to do it. | 虽然是费时吃力的工作 但是我很乐意去做 |
[26:52] | Now we can go to court. | 现在我们有机会上庭了 |
[26:53] | The reward is potentially bigger, but so are the risks. | 回报将会很丰厚 但同时也有风险 |
[26:56] | Or we can go back in there and get a bigger settlement than you originally negotiated. | 或者我们可以回去谈判桌上 获得一份比你之前谈判得来的更好的协商 |
[26:59] | Your call. | 你决定 |
[27:03] | I talk. | 我来说 |
[27:05] | You don’t say anything. | 你不要说话 |
[27:11] | So, had the chance to talk things over? | 那么 你们商量好了吗? |
[27:13] | As a matter of fact, we have. | 事实上 是的 |
[27:15] | And? | 那么? |
[27:17] | We don’t like the way you do business, Denise. | 我们不喜欢你做事的方式Denise |
[27:19] | And I don’t like the way Ms. Moran does business. | 我也不喜欢Moran小姐做生意的方式 |
[27:21] | Your company trades on the misery and pettiness of others. | 你的公司建立在别人的痛苦和不幸上 |
[27:24] | Ms. Moran, there are two ways to make money in a business like this. | Moran小姐 像你这样的生意有两种方式赚钱 |
[27:28] | The first is the short-term cash you make | 一种是在像我们这些人介入和 |
[27:30] | before someone like us comes in and shuts you down with a major lawsuit. | 用一场大官司让你倒闭之前赚点短钱 |
[27:34] | The other is the real money that comes when you grow your business large enough | 另一种方法就是当你的公司做得足够大时 |
[27:38] | that one of the big media companies buys you out. | 有一家大型传媒公司把你买下来 那你就真正赚到了钱 |
[27:41] | But nobody’s going to buy a company | 但是没有人会打算买下一间 |
[27:42] | with a potentially huge class action lawsuit hanging over its head. | 有随时有潜在的巨型官司风险的公司 |
[27:46] | And that’s why you were willing to settle in the first place. | 因此当初你会愿意首先提出协商解决 |
[27:51] | $30,000 and this all goes away. | 3万美元 我们就不再追究 |
[28:04] | $20,000. | 2万 |
[28:06] | – $25,000. – Done. | – 2万5 – 成交 |
[28:14] | I’ll draw up the paperwork. | 我来起草协议书 |
[28:27] | You like hot fudge sundaes? | 你喜欢热奶油巧克力圣代吗? (一种雪糕 没见过的去M记可以见到类似的) |
[28:30] | Ah, who knows what you like? | 啊 谁知道你喜欢什么? |
[28:32] | You’re a weirdo. | 你是个怪胎 |
[28:33] | But my point is, people like hot fudge sundaes. | 但是我要说的是 人们喜欢热奶油巧克力圣代 |
[28:36] | Well, yesterday in court, I gave them a hot fudge sundae. | 昨天在庭上 我给了所有人一个热奶油巧克力圣代 |
[28:41] | I was brilliant. | 我实在是光芒四射 |
[28:43] | But after you’ve had a big, delicious hot fudge sundae, | 但是当你吃过一个又大 又美味的热奶油巧克力圣代之后 |
[28:50] | it’s awhile before you want another one. Are you with me so far? | 你在短时间内不会再想吃另外一个了 你知道我在说什么么? |
[28:53] | Let’s say that I am. | 我知道 |
[28:53] | Great. I want you to do the closing argument. | 很好 我要你做结案陈词 |
[28:56] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[28:57] | I gave the jury a great big Denny Crane sundae | 我给了陪审团一份 超大型的Denny Crane圣代 |
[29:00] | with chocolate sauce and nuts and a cherry on the top, and now they’re full. | 顶部点缀着巧克力糖浆 果仁和樱桃 现在他们饱了 |
[29:07] | I can’t stuff another one down their throats so soon. | 我没办法这么快又给他们塞下另一个 |
[29:12] | Denny, how’d it really go in court yesterday? | Denny 昨天庭上到底怎么样了? |
[29:14] | Magnificent. | 精彩绝伦 |
[29:15] | That being said, if the jury heard from someone that wasn’t me, | 这么说吧 如果陪审团听到除了我之外的其他人发言 |
[29:20] | it might refocus them in a way that would guarantee victory. | 那么我们就可以获得完全的胜利 |
[29:24] | Not that victory is in doubt. | 而不是侥幸的胜利 |
[29:26] | I see. | 我懂了 |
[29:28] | Alan, I need to stay undefeated. | Alan 我需要保持不败的战绩 |
[29:32] | I don’t want to look like a fool in, in front of… | 我不想看上去像个白痴 在别人面前… |
[29:36] | I need you to do this. | 我要你做结案陈词 |
[29:41] | Friend helping friend. | 为朋友两肋插刀 |
[30:00] | This case is not about abortion. | 这个案子并不是关于堕胎的 |
[30:03] | It isn’t about freedom of speech. | 不是关于言论自由的 |
[30:05] | It isn’t even about what foreign policy the United states chooses to conduct. | 也不是关于美国采用哪种对外政策 |
[30:10] | This case is about hypocrisy and the arrogance of power. | 这个案子是关于伪善和恃强凌弱 |
[30:14] | Now under the laws of the United states, abortion is legal. | 在现在的美国法律中 堕胎是合法的 |
[30:19] | But we tell other countries that if they want US aid, | 但是我们告诉其他国家 如果他们需要美国的援助 |
[30:24] | they cannot perform, encourage or even mention abortion. | 他们不能实施 鼓励或者甚至是提起堕胎 |
[30:28] | We look the world in the eye and say, “do as I say, not as I do”. | 我们看着世界喊道”照我说的做 别照我做的做” |
[30:36] | It’s the very essence of hypocrisy. | 这从根本上来说就是伪善 |
[30:39] | So the clinic that Kavita Ookharel went to | 因此Kavita Ookharel曾去的那家诊所 |
[30:43] | had had its funding cut off by a US aid representative | 被美国援助计划代表中止了支援 |
[30:46] | who mistakenly believed that a poster in the clinic advocated abortion. | 他错误地认为诊所的那幅海报鼓励堕胎 |
[30:52] | She had been to the clinic before, and everything had been fine. | 她曾经去过那家诊所就医 当时一切都很好 |
[30:55] | She had the reasonable expectation that the clinic would continue to function. | 她有理由期待这个诊所将会继续运作下去 |
[31:02] | How could she, how could anyone be expected to know | 然而她怎么能想到 任何一个人怎么能想到 |
[31:07] | that United states policy is as changeable as the political winds? | 美国政府的政策就像政治风向一样朝闻夕改? |
[31:15] | A political hack made a brutal, thoughtless decision that could not be appealed. | 我们的政治代言人作出了一个 无法挽回的粗暴的未经思考的决定 |
[31:25] | And Ms. Pokharel’s baby died. | 然后Pokharel小姐的孩子死了 |
[31:28] | At a time when we’re trying to spread democracy around the globe, | 每次当我们尝试着将民主散布到全球时 |
[31:33] | let us show the world that we are not hypocrites. | 让我们向世界表明我们不是伪善者 |
[31:36] | Let us show the world that | 让我们向世界表明 |
[31:38] | when the government of the Untied States makes a horrible, tragic mistake, | 当美国政府犯了一个可怕的 可悲的错误时 |
[31:42] | the courts of the United States will make that government pay for it. | 美国的法庭会让它付出代价 |
[32:15] | I’d like to begin with a cheer. | 我想先从欢呼开始 |
[32:18] | We’re number one. | 我们是老大 |
[32:20] | We’re number one. | 我们是老大 |
[32:22] | We’re number… | 我们是… |
[32:24] | it’s not much of a cheer. | 这并不是什么欢呼 |
[32:26] | It’s repetitive and rhythmically uninteresting, | 这只是反复地有节奏地无趣 |
[32:29] | but it does succinctly apply to our country, | 但是在我们国家这的确行得通 |
[32:31] | and has for quite some time. | 而且在很长一段时间内都是如此 |
[32:34] | In fact, we’ve been number one so long | 事实上 我们作为老大已经很久了 |
[32:36] | that the rest of the world has come to rely on us. And we don’t let them down. | 以至于其他国家都想要依靠我们 而我们不能让他们失望 |
[32:40] | We’re the world’s largest donor of devopment assistance. | 我们是世界发展援助计划最大的捐赠国 |
[32:44] | All in all, as a nation, we donate over $55 billion a year in foreign aid. | 总而言之 作为一个国家 我 们每年对外援助超过550亿 |
[32:51] | Money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money. | 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 |
[32:53] | Everything is about money. | 所有东西都和钱有关 |
[32:57] | But we must never forget that there is a terrible human tragedy, | 但是我们不要忘记在此当中 |
[33:04] | the center of all this. | 发生了一场人类的悲剧 |
[33:09] | Ms. Pokharel lost her child. | Pokharel小姐失去了她的孩子 |
[33:12] | The loss of any child’s life is an incalculable horror. | 失去任何孩子的生命都是难以估计的灾难 |
[33:19] | It is for that reason | 因此 |
[33:20] | that I would ask you to award the plaintiff piles and piles of money. | 我请求你们判给原告大叠大叠的钱 |
[33:27] | After all, we have so much to give away. | 反正 我们已经给出去那么多了 |
[33:31] | Why not? | 有何不可呢? |
[33:33] | Piles and piles. | 大叠大叠的 |
[33:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[33:42] | You know… | 要知道… |
[33:43] | come to think of it, maybe we don’t have that much to give away, do we? | 突然间想一想 也许我们没有那么多钱可以给出去 不是吗? |
[33:48] | Our national debt is now over $8 trillion. | 我们国家的债务现在已经超过8万亿美元 |
[33:54] | Eh, who cares? | 呃 有谁会在乎呢? |
[33:56] | Give them piles anyway. What the hell? | 尽管给他们就是了 管他呢? |
[34:00] | Never mind that we have 37 million people | 更不用说我们国内有3千7百万人民 |
[34:03] | living below the poverty line right here at home. | 生活在贫困线之下 |
[34:06] | What does it matter that our own literacy rate doesn’t even rank in the top 50 countries? | 我们的良好教育率 甚至排不上前50名又有什关系呢? |
[34:11] | Just keep shelling out the foreign aid. | 尽管继续海外援助好了 |
[34:14] | Does it really bother anyone that we don’t have the resources to help the Katrina victims? | 有谁会为我们没有足够的资源去帮助 卡特里娜灾民而受到困扰?(美国有数个州 在卡特里娜飓风的袭击下损失惨重) |
[34:19] | Of course not. What’s really important is, | 当然没有 重要的是 |
[34:21] | that the United States continue to be that big ATM machine to the world, | 美国继续成为世界上最大的自动提款机 |
[34:27] | doling out wads of cash to every country who wants it. | 为每个需要的国家发放大量的现金援助 |
[34:30] | Money, money, money, money, money, money, money. | 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 钱 |
[34:32] | Never mind we don’t have it. | 就算我们没有那么多 |
[34:33] | These other nations, they’re entitled, aren’t they? | 这些国家们 他们有权利获得援助 不是吗? |
[34:35] | Even the ones who vilify us for protecting their freedom, | 就算是那些为了保护他们的自由 而诬蔑我们的国家也享有这种权利 |
[34:38] | by the way, listening to plaintiff’s counsel, | 另外 听了原告律师的辩诉 |
[34:41] | I couldn’t help but concur, how horrible we Americans are. | 我不禁地觉得我们美国人真是太坏了 |
[34:45] | Okay, so we donate $55 billion a year in foreign aid. | 好吧 我们每年对外援助550亿美元 |
[34:48] | But then we impose certain conditions on those gifts. | 但是我们在这些礼物上面附加了一点条件 |
[34:52] | Imagine our awfulness. And here, my God, | 想象一下这有多糟糕 然后这里的情形 我的天 |
[34:56] | we promised money to a clinic so long as they promised not to promote abortion. | 我们许诺诊所以援助 只要他们不提倡堕胎 |
[35:00] | So they did. How dare we not give them the money just the same? | 他们这样做了 我们怎么能够不遵守诺言呢? |
[35:03] | We should’ve given them that and then some. | 我们应该继续援助他们 甚至更多 |
[35:05] | We have a duty to provide these handouts. | 我们有责任继续提供这些援助 |
[35:08] | we have an absolute duty, | 我们有着绝对的责任 |
[35:10] | ’cause we are the United States of America. | 因为我们是美国 |
[35:13] | And these other nations, well, they’re entitled, | 而这些国家 好吧 他们有这个权利 |
[35:16] | whether they keep their promises or not. | 不管他们有没有遵守承诺 |
[35:50] | Our settlement check came in. 25 Gs. | 我们的协议款收到了 2万5 |
[35:52] | I’m just glad everything worked out. | 我很开心事情圆满解决了 |
[35:54] | Me, too. | 我也是 |
[35:55] | But for all the strum and drang, we really did make a pretty good team. | 出了有点不和谐之外 我们的确是一个很好的团队 |
[35:59] | I’m so glad we’re not like those women in the workplace | 我真高兴你不像其他工作地方的女性一样 |
[36:01] | who feel compelled to compete with every pair of legs in a skirt. | 容不下任何一个同性同事 |
[36:04] | You know, Marlene, | 你要知道Marlene |
[36:05] | you are not gonna get very far at Crane, Poole & Schmidt | 使用你在这个案子里这种孤注一掷的方式 |
[36:07] | pulling the kind of crap you did with this case. | 你不会在Crane, Poole & Schmidt 事务所里走得太远 |
[36:09] | Denise, the only crap I pulled was to believe in this case and invest myself in it. | Denise 我下的唯一赌注就是 我相信这个案子会有所作为 |
[36:13] | That’s why we more than doubled our money. | 正因如此我们获得了2倍的收益 |
[36:15] | And I think that’s why they hired me at Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 而我想这就是Crane, Poole & Schmidt 事务所聘请我的原因 |
[36:19] | Why did they hire you? | 他们为什么聘请你? |
[36:22] | Anyway, see you later. | 什么都好 呆会见 |
[36:27] | Squid. | 乌贼 |
[36:30] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团达成一致意见了吗? |
[36:32] | We have, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[36:33] | How say you? | 是什么? |
[36:34] | In the matter of Kavita Pokharel vs. the United States, | 在Kavita Pokharel对美国一案 |
[36:39] | we find in favor of… | 我们裁决… |
[36:42] | the United States of America. | 美国胜诉 |
[36:45] | Thank you for your service. We’re adjourned. | 谢谢你们的参与 休庭 |
[36:48] | Still undefeated. | 仍旧不败 |
[36:50] | I think my closing made all the difference. | 我想我的结案陈词是制胜的关键 |
[36:52] | Denny, if I wrote it and delivered it, how did it become your closing? | Denny 做结案陈词的是我 怎么变成你的了? |
[36:55] | My case, I’m the lead attorney and, of course, I’m… | 我的案子 我是负责人 当然 我是… |
[36:59] | Yes, you are. | 是的 你是 |
[37:00] | the United States of America. | 美国 |
[37:02] | Of course, we’ll appeal. | 当然 我们会上诉 |
[37:03] | Of course, you’ll lose. | 当然 你们依然会输 |
[37:06] | Dinner, Denny? | 晚餐 Denny? |
[37:08] | Delighted, Donny. | 非常乐意 Donny |
[37:18] | Son, let me ask you something. | 孩子 让我问你点东西 |
[37:22] | These lost causes… | 这种必输无疑的案子… |
[37:25] | why do you do it? | 你为什么要接? |
[37:28] | I suppose the struggle gives me comfort. | 我想是反抗让我觉得舒适 |
[37:32] | Why do you do what you do? | 你为什么做你所做的事? |
[37:36] | I don’t actually remember. | 我不太记得了 |
[37:40] | It may have something to do with the massive amounts of money I make. | 也许和我赚的大笔钱有关 |
[37:50] | My mom died… | 我妈死了… |
[37:54] | uh, a few months ago. | 呃 几个月前 |
[37:56] | I, I was gonna tell you the other night, but the… | 我 那天晚上我本来想告诉你的 但是… |
[38:00] | well… | 那个… |
[38:02] | hookers made it a little uncomfortable. | 你叫的那两个妓女让我难以开口 |
[38:11] | I went looking for my real father. | 我去看过我的真正父亲 |
[38:15] | And? | 然后? |
[38:17] | Lives in Maine. | 住在缅因州 |
[38:19] | He works on a cranberry bog. | 他在一个酸果曼沼泽里工作 |
[38:22] | Good man. | 不错的人 |
[38:23] | He wears waders. | 他穿着高筒防水胶靴 |
[38:26] | Most days, he’s up to his knees in water and little red fruits. | 大部分时间里 他置身于水和红色果实之中 |
[38:31] | Sounds like a very moist man. | 听起来像个湿人 |
[38:39] | He’s not you. | 他不是你 |
[38:43] | Not the man I imagined growing up. | 不是我想成为的那个人 |
[38:48] | Not the man I pictured in my mind when I was studying in law school. | 不是我在法学院里学习时 脑海中出现的那个人 |
[38:55] | So you’re all alone. | 因此你现在一个亲人也没有了 |
[38:58] | Yepper. | 算是吧 |
[39:03] | So… | 那么… |
[39:06] | any interest in being my fake father again? | 有没有兴趣再次假装成我的父亲? |
[39:12] | I never stopped being your fake father, son. | 我从来没有停止过把我当成你的父亲 孩子 |
[39:30] | Good night, Mr. Crane. | 晚上好Crane先生 |
[39:32] | Good night, Ms. Stanger. | 晚上好Stanger小姐 |
[39:42] | Your closing was very convincing, almost as if you believed it. | 你的结案陈词非常有说服力 就像你自己都相信一样 |
[39:46] | I did. | 我相信 |
[39:49] | You do love America. | 你的确爱国 |
[39:50] | Of course I do. | 我当然爱国 |
[39:51] | I didn’t agree with the string our government attached to the money in this case, | 我并不同意我们的政府 在这个案子里的处理方式 |
[39:55] | but we have every right to attach strings to the funds we give. | 但是我们的确有权力 在我们的援助里这么做 |
[39:59] | That’s my boy. | 这才是我的人 |
[40:02] | I’m your friend, Denny, but I’m not your boy. | 我是你的朋友 不是你的人 |
[40:06] | That’s what troubles me, this notion that we have to take sides in this country now, | 这就是困扰我的东西 这种我们一定要区分阵营的观念 |
[40:10] | you’re either with us or against us, Republican or Democrat, | 你要不是站在我这边 要不就是我的敌人 共和党或者是民主党 |
[40:14] | red state or blue state. | 红色州或者是蓝色州 |
[40:16] | I can’t believe I live in a blue state. | 我不敢相信我身处一个蓝色州 |
[40:19] | No one looks at an issue and struggles over the right position to take anymore. | 没有人把它当回事 也不再为自己的正确的立场而斗争 |
[40:23] | And yet, our ability to reason is what makes us human. | 作为人类 我们拥有质疑的能力 |
[40:26] | Lately we seem so willing to forfeit that gift of reason | 但是现在我们好像愿意把质疑这个天赋丢弃 |
[40:30] | in exchange for the good feeling of belonging to a group. | 以换取属于某个阵营所带来的优越感 |
[40:33] | We all just take the position of our team. | 我们都在我们的阵营里找到归属 |
[40:37] | I’ve certainly done it and hated myself for it. | 我也不例外 而我对自己深恶痛绝 |
[40:40] | I’ve never heard you make so much sense. | 我从来没听你说话那么多感性的话 |
[40:43] | I make sense all the time, you just listen intermittently. | 我总是在说 只是你经常当作耳边风 |
[40:48] | Could be. | 也许是吧 |
[40:54] | I like that new girl. | 我喜欢新来的女孩 |
[40:56] | Marlene | Marlene. |
[40:58] | She’s got an aggressive eye. | 她有一对咄咄逼人的眼睛 |
[41:00] | Bet she’s magnificent in bed. | 我打赌她在床上也很厉害 |
[41:03] | Oh, I bet she’s at her best back against the wall. | 噢 我打赌她最厉害的姿势应该是背靠着墙 |
[41:12] | I can’t wait till next week. | 我真期待着下一周的到来 (欢迎继续收看第26集) |