时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Previously on Boston Legal. | |
[00:03] | I was drug addict and | 我染上了毒瘾 |
[00:05] | I needed my father and you abandoned me. | 我需要我的父亲 但是你抛弃了我 |
[00:07] | Who is this? | 这是谁 |
[00:08] | Your granddaughter. | 你的孙女 |
[00:09] | Please welcome Mr. and Mrs. Denny Crane. | 欢迎DennyCrane夫妇 |
[00:11] | Denny | Denny! |
[00:12] | Bev has hired an army of lawyers to gut this firm. | Bev请了一帮律师来肢解这家公司 |
[00:15] | An agreement has been reached in the matter of Crane vs. Crane. | Crane先生和Crane夫人达成了一个协议 |
[00:18] | I will buy a house for Bev in Hawaii. | 我将给Bev在夏威夷买一座房子 |
[00:20] | You’ll be the one that got away from Denny Crane. | 你将是离开DennyCrane的人 |
[00:22] | Look me up if you’re ever on the big island. | 如果你来岛上了 记得来看我 |
[00:24] | I am the big island. | 我就是大岛 |
[00:25] | Denny | 他们要在我的旅馆里做些装修 Denny, they’re doing some sort of renovations at my hotel. |
[00:28] | I was wondering if I could spend the night at your place. | 我在想是否能够在你那过夜 |
[00:31] | Stay as long as you need. | 想住多久住多久 |
[00:44] | …believe that 24% of married couples, | 24%的夫妇不睡在一起 |
[00:45] | which to me is a very large number, | 在我看来 |
[00:47] | do not sleep in the same bed. | 是个很大的数目 |
[00:49] | Yeah… yeah… listen to me. Yeah! | 听我说 |
[00:50] | Denny | 你准备走了吗 Denny, you’re ready to go? |
[00:51] | And they say it has nothing to do… | 他们说和那无关 |
[00:53] | And they’re happy about it with not being compatible with a person. | 他们很高兴 不需要去迁就 |
[00:55] | You want to get a good night’s rest… | 你想晚上睡得好的话 |
[00:56] | Denny | 你必须去工作 Denny, you must go to work. |
[00:58] | It’s hump day, your favorite day. | 今天是驼峰日 你最喜欢的日子 (hump day驼峰日 星期三或星期四) |
[00:59] | I don’t have a favorite anything anymore. | 我不再有什么最喜欢的东西了 |
[01:02] | Listen, I understand the need to retreat into oneself after a failed love affair, | 我知道一场恋爱失败后 你需要一个人好好呆会 |
[01:07] | but you haven’t gone to work in three days. | 但是你有三天没去工作了 |
[01:10] | You’ve been in that bed for two. | 两天里你一直在床上 |
[01:12] | You’re drinking… | 早上九点 |
[01:13] | scotch at 9:00 in the morning. | 就一直在喝苏格兰威士忌 |
[01:15] | And most disturbingly, you’re watching “The View”. | 最让人不安的是 你一直在看”观点” |
[01:18] | Leave me alone. | 让我一个人呆着 |
[01:22] | Hey! hey! hey! same team. Same team! | 我们是一组的 一组的 |
[01:25] | Consider this an intervention. | 可视其为干涉 |
[01:28] | It’s no use, Alan. Nothing interests me anymore. | 没用的 Alan 没什么东西能再吸引我了 |
[01:32] | Construction worker Russell Blayney… arrested for attempted murder | 建筑工人Russell Blayney 因谋杀被捕 |
[01:36] | for setting a booby trap in his home to catch burglars. | 他在家里安了一个陷阱 来抓入室强盗 |
[01:39] | Miguel Dominguez allegedly broke into Blayney’s house | Miguel Dominguez闯入了 Blayney的房子 |
[01:42] | and received a reported 50,000 volts of electricity through his body, | 据报道被5万伏特高压电流击中 |
[01:47] | paralyzing him from the waist down | 致使他自腰部以下瘫痪 |
[01:49] | and leaving us all with the question… | 带给了我们一个问题 |
[01:51] | Russell Blayney Russell Blayney… victim or vigilante? | 是受害者还是义务警员呢 |
[01:54] | In other news today… | 今天的其他新闻 |
[01:55] | That case… | 这个案子 |
[01:57] | I want that case. | 我想接这个案子 |
[02:01] | I see your bliss is back as well. | 看来你的小弟弟也兴奋起来了 |
[02:08] | Your honor, the commonwealth moves that bail be denied. | 法官大人 联邦政府反对保释 |
[02:11] | Mr. Blayney is charged with attempted murder and is an obvious flight risk. | Blayney先生被指控谋杀未遂 并有很大的逃脱风险 |
[02:14] | If I may, my client… | 如果我可以的话 我的委托人… |
[02:15] | Your honor… | 法官大人 |
[02:17] | I need a moment with my client. | 我需要和我的委托人呆一会 |
[02:19] | You don’t have a client here, Mr. Crane. | 你在这没有委托人 Crane先生 |
[02:21] | Count to ten, judge. | 数到十 法官 |
[02:23] | Mr. Blayney, do you know who I am? | Blayney先生 你知道我是谁吗 |
[02:25] | Yeah, you’re Denny Crane. I’ve seen you on “Larry King”. | 当然 你是Denny Crane 我在Larry King上见过你 |
[02:28] | You’re famous. | 你很有名 |
[02:29] | So who would you rather have as your attorney… | 你更想要谁做你的律师 |
[02:31] | me or, uh, hacky McGuilty Verdict here? | 我 还是这个McGuilty Verdict小子 (McGuilty Verdict 是Danny编造的名字 意思是裁决有罪) |
[02:35] | I’ve faced him before, you’d rather have him. | 我和他交过手 你最好要他 |
[02:37] | Don’t feel bad, son. Take a big man to recognize a bigger man. | 别沮丧 孩子 让一个大家伙来见识一个更大的家伙 |
[02:41] | We’re waiting, Mr. Crane. | 我们等着呢 Crane先生 |
[02:44] | Uh, I move for a continuance, your honor. | 我申请延期审判 法官大人 |
[02:48] | I just got the case. | 我刚接手这个案子 |
[03:25] | Shirley, first thing in the morning, even haven’t had my coffee. | Shirley 这么早啊 我还没喝咖啡呢 |
[03:28] | Normally I’d make a witty retort about caffeine and | 通常我会就咖啡因和 |
[03:31] | your aging reproductive system, | 你逐渐老化的生殖系统 做一个机智的反驳 |
[03:33] | but not today, Alan. I have a problem. | 但不是今天 Alan 我有个问题 |
[03:37] | Karl Hauser died this week. | Karl Hauser这个星期去世了 |
[03:40] | The photographer. | 那个摄影师 |
[03:41] | I knew him years ago. We hadn’t been in touch for some time, | 我认识他好多年了 我们有一段时候没联系了 |
[03:46] | but… well, he’s dead. | 但是 他死了 |
[03:49] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[03:53] | I met Karl when I was a sophomore at Wellesley. | 我在Wellesley二年级时 遇见了Karl |
[03:56] | I spent the summer in Manhattan, and we met in the West Village. | 我在曼哈顿过暑假 我们在WestVilage相遇 |
[04:00] | He was this amazing, fascinating man, | 他出乎寻常的有魅力 |
[04:04] | and he told me I was very pretty. | 他对我说我很美丽 |
[04:08] | And… I did some modeling for him. | 我为他做了几次模特 |
[04:12] | Please tell me this is going where I think it’s going. | 请告诉我正是我想的那类事情 |
[04:15] | Yeah, it is. | 是的 |
[04:16] | Karl took some very tasteful black and white nudes of me. | Karl给我照了几张非常有品味的 黑白裸照 |
[04:20] | I am so disappointed in you, Shirley. “Tasteful”? | 我对你太失望了 Shirley 有品味? |
[04:24] | There’s going to be an estate auction. | 将会有一次财产拍卖 |
[04:25] | And I want you to find a way to block the sale of those photographs. | 我希望你能够想个法子 阻止拍卖这些照片 |
[04:29] | How many pictures are we talking about? | 我们说的照片有多少张 |
[04:31] | I think there were 15, maybe 20… | 我想有15 大概20… |
[04:35] | That’s not so many. | 不是很多嘛 |
[04:36] | rolls of film that he used. | …卷胶卷吧 他用了 |
[04:39] | I am so glad I came into work today. | 我很高兴今天来上班了 |
[04:43] | Down, boy, this is serious. | 少来 孩子 这件事很严肃的 |
[04:45] | Karl promised me that he wouldn’t show the photographs to anyone. | Karl答应过我他不会向任何人展示这些照片 |
[04:50] | However, I signed a standard release saying that | 但是 我签署了一份授权许可书 |
[04:53] | he could show them to… everyone. | 因此 他可以将它们展示给任何人 |
[04:56] | Why are you so worried about this, Shirley? | 为何你如此担心这件事呢 Shirley |
[04:58] | You were young. Young people do all sorts of things. | 你曾经年轻 年轻人什么事都做 |
[05:02] | And now you wear clothes to the office every single day. | 现在你每天衣着楚楚的来办公室 |
[05:05] | Shocking as it may seem to you, Alan. I like my privacy. | 也许你听来可能会吃惊 Alan 但是我喜欢有隐私 |
[05:09] | Maybe I’ll want to be a federal judge someday. | 也许哪天我会想当联邦法官 |
[05:12] | And being a named partner at a prestigious law firm… | 而作为一家有声望的法律公司的命名合伙人 |
[05:16] | Well, it’s not good for business. | 这会影响生意 |
[05:20] | I’ll give you my best effort. | 我将尽力帮你 |
[05:23] | Of course, at some point, | 当然 在某些环节 |
[05:25] | I will have to examine the evidence thoroughly. | 我会不得不仔细的查阅那些证据 |
[05:55] | Oh! Here they are. | 你们来了 |
[05:57] | Oh, sorry we’re late. | 我们迟到了 |
[05:58] | No, problem. | 没事 |
[05:59] | Fiona, say hello to grandpa. | Fiona 向爷爷问好 |
[06:01] | Hi, paw paw. | 嗨 爬爬 (paw paw和英语里爷爷grandpa 后面的发音很像) |
[06:03] | Hi. Hello, sweetheart. | 你好 甜心 |
[06:06] | I guess you’re paw paw form now on. | 我想从现在起你就是爬爬了 |
[06:07] | Well, that’s one of the nicest names I’ve ever been called. | 这是我的名字中最棒的一个 |
[06:10] | We were almost out the door. | 我们差不多都出门了 |
[06:12] | She insisted on wearing the red cowboy boots. | 她坚持要穿上那双红牛仔靴 |
[06:13] | I finally said okay. And of course, then we could only find one, | 我最终还是说了好 后来我们只找到了一只 |
[06:15] | and we finally found the other one on top of the refrigerator. | 我们最终在冰箱的顶上找到了另一只 |
[06:18] | Oh! | 噢! |
[06:18] | And you get to where it’s pointless to ask how it got on top of the refrigerator. | 问为何它会跑到冰箱顶上 这毫无意义 |
[06:20] | You just grab it and go. | 抓了它就走 |
[06:22] | I, uh, I took the liberty of ordering coffee and some hot chocolate. | 我擅自点了些咖啡和热巧克力 |
[06:25] | Oh, thanks so much. | 太感谢了 |
[06:28] | We can just stay a second. | 我们只能待一小会 |
[06:29] | It’s Fiona first day at Happy Duck Day Care. | 今天是Fiona在快乐小鸭日托所的第一天 |
[06:32] | Ah! is that a good place? | 那是个好地方吗 |
[06:34] | But don’t let the cheesy name fool you. They’re great. | 别让那个俗气的名字误导你 他们很棒的 |
[06:36] | I went to so many places. | 我找了很多间了 |
[06:38] | I had a checklist I used.. ah, yeah, here it is. | 我做了个清单 在这 |
[06:43] | Ah, well, let’s see what we have here. | 让我们看看有哪些 |
[06:46] | “Childcare Question”. | 日托问题 |
[06:48] | “Are They Licensed and Monitored?” | 他们执照经营并被监管吗 |
[06:50] | “Do They Afford Opportunities for Both Active and Quiet Play?” | 他们提供机会玩活跃的游戏和安静的游戏吗 |
[06:53] | “Is the Staff Trained in C.P.R.?” | 员工接受过C.P.R(心肺复苏)训练吗 |
[06:56] | “Do the Kids Appear Happy?” | 孩子们看起来高兴吗 |
[06:59] | Rachel, this is a very thorough list. | Rachel 这是个很完整的清单 |
[07:01] | Well, she’s my daughter. | 那是 她是我女儿 |
[07:04] | Where are my keys? | 我的钥匙在哪 |
[07:06] | It’s in your pocket. | 在你口袋里 |
[07:08] | Yap, here they are. | 是的 它们在这 |
[07:10] | Dad, in all the cowboy boot madness this morning. | 爸爸 今早忙着找牛仔靴 |
[07:14] | I lost my ATM card somewhere. | 我把我的ATM卡丢在什么地方了 |
[07:16] | You think you could loan me 40 bucks? | 你可以借给我40美元吗 |
[07:18] | No, problem. | 没问题 |
[07:21] | You know, um, Rachel, | 你知道 Rachel |
[07:23] | if you’re in a hurry to get to work, | 如果你急着去工作 |
[07:25] | I can drop Fiona off at, uh… Happy Duck, is it? | 我可以去接Fiona 快乐小鸭 对吧? |
[07:30] | Oh, thanks. We’ll make it okay. | 谢谢 我们会搞定的 |
[07:33] | Fiona, we have to go. Thank paw paw for your hot chocolate. | Fiona 我们得走了 谢谢爬爬给你点了热巧克力 |
[07:36] | Thanks, paw paw, for my chocolate. | 谢谢 爬爬 为我点了热巧克力 |
[07:38] | You’re very welcome. | 我很乐意 |
[07:39] | Thanks, dad. | 谢谢 爸爸 |
[07:40] | Bye, darling. | 拜 亲爱的 |
[07:41] | See ya. | 回见 |
[07:42] | Bye bye. | 拜拜 |
[07:44] | Bye bye, Fiona. | 拜拜 Fiona |
[07:47] | Bye bye. | 拜拜 |
[08:05] | By your look, it’s not good. | 你看起来不大好 |
[08:06] | I believe Rachel’s using again. | 我想Rachel故技重施了 |
[08:09] | She’s back on crystal meth. | 她又开始服用crystal meth(冰毒)了 |
[08:11] | What proof do you have? | 你有什么证据 |
[08:13] | We were supposed to meet at 8:00… coffee shop near her apartment. | 我们约定在早上八点 她公寓附近的咖啡厅见面 |
[08:17] | She showed up 20 minutes late with Fiona in tow. | 她20分钟后才拖着Fiona赶到 |
[08:20] | Was harried, disorganized. She couldn’t find her keys. | 匆忙 紊乱 她找不到她的钥匙 |
[08:23] | Paul, you have just described every single working mother in America. | Paul 你在描述美国的每一位单身工作母亲 |
[08:28] | Then she asked to borrow $40. | 然后她问我借了40美元 |
[08:33] | Crystal meth users live their lives in $40… increments, cash. | crystal meth使用者用40美元过活 固定的 现金 |
[08:40] | Paul, this is a very serious accusation, | Paul 这是一个非常严肃的指控 |
[08:43] | and you need to be absolutely certain before you make it. | 你需要完全确定明白后才能做出 |
[08:46] | I know. | 我知道 |
[08:49] | If I’m right, and I do nothing, | 如果我是正确的 我什么都不做 |
[08:51] | Fiona could be in danger. | Fiona可能会身处危险 |
[08:53] | If I act and I’m wrong, | 如果我采取了行动 而我又错了 |
[08:55] | Rachel will never speak to me again. She’ll cut me out forever. | Rachel就不会再理我了 她会永远终止和我的联系 |
[08:58] | What do I do? | 我该怎么做 |
[09:00] | You’ve lived through a lot with Rachel, | 你和Rachel经历过许多坎坷 |
[09:02] | and this relationship you’re developing with her now is very new. | 现在你和她发展的关系是崭新的 |
[09:06] | You might want to ask yourself if your history | 你也许想问自己 |
[09:09] | with Rachel’s drug use is causing you to overreact. | Rachel吸毒是否曾让你采取过激行为 |
[09:14] | Just think about it. | 好好想想 |
[09:32] | You, Blondie, you’re on my team. | 你 金发小妞 加入到我的团队中来 |
[09:38] | If you’ve seen the news, you know what a travesty this is. | 如果你看了新闻 你就知道有多滑稽 |
[09:40] | A man arrested for defending his own home. | 一个人因为保卫他自己的家被捕 |
[09:43] | it’s a farce, and not the funny kind. This is one serious farce. | 这是场闹剧 不是滑稽剧 这是场严肃的闹剧 |
[09:47] | May I ask what we’re pleading? It seems self-defense… | 我能询问我们在辩护什么吗 这看起来像是自卫 |
[09:49] | Don’t like that kind of thinking. That’s defensive thought. | 不喜欢那么说 但那的确是自卫 |
[09:51] | We’ve got to strike first. Preempt them. | 我们得先发制人 抢占先机 |
[09:53] | What’d they say in the news… “Victim or vigilante”? | 他们会在新闻里面说什么 受害者或义务警员 |
[09:56] | It’s neither. This is Russell Blayney… hero. | 都不是 这是Russell Blayney 一个英雄 |
[09:58] | You want to try this case in the press? | 你想让这个案子上媒体? |
[10:00] | Exactly. | 的确 |
[10:01] | I want to grab the public’s attention. | 我想抓住大众的视线 |
[10:05] | With a story, a character, a narrative, | 一个故事 一种人格 一份讲述 |
[10:08] | we have to create our own reality. | 我们需要构造出属于我们的真相 |
[10:13] | You, young punk, you must know computers. | 你 小朋克 懂电脑 |
[10:16] | Set up a web site, one of those blobs… | 设置一个网站 要点之一是 |
[10:18] | “Justice for Russell Blayney”. | Russell Blayney的正义 |
[10:20] | And you, Denise, you’ll be my second. | 你 Denise 你将作我的副手 |
[10:23] | You look good on camera. | 你很上镜 |
[10:31] | Karl Hauser’s widow is here. | KarlHauser的遗孀来了 |
[10:35] | Straightforward, standard release Karl used for all his models. | 这是Karl所有模特签订的授权许可书 |
[10:40] | A lifetime of papers and contracts, and you manage to find mine. | 他终生那么多的文件和合约 你居然可以找到我的 |
[10:43] | God bless the organized. | 上帝保佑管理档案的人 |
[10:44] | And there’s no mistaking your signature. | 这是你的签名没错 |
[10:54] | I’m so sorry. It’s just, here you are. | 我很抱歉 只是 你就在我面前 |
[10:58] | I may cry. | 我真想喜极而泣 |
[11:00] | He loves art. | 他崇尚艺术 |
[11:02] | Marguerite, I’m sorry, but your husband was an adult. | Marguerite 我很抱歉 但是你的丈夫是一个成年人 |
[11:06] | A famous man of the world. | 这世上的一个名人 |
[11:08] | And I was an immature kid who did not understand the document she was signing. | 我当时只是一个不明白他签署的 文件为何物的不成熟的孩子 |
[11:13] | There was no meeting of the minds here. | 对这点大家意见不一致呵 |
[11:15] | So this contract, I’m afraid, is not binding. | 所以我恐怕这份协议 不具备法律效应 |
[11:19] | As I recall, was not your minds that met. | 我说过 我和你想得不同 |
[11:27] | If you were old enough to screw my husband, | 如果你足够大来勾引我的丈夫 |
[11:29] | you were old enough to understand what you were signing. | 你也足够大 懂得你签署的是什么 |
[11:32] | Your husband talked me into doing quite a few things I didn’t understand. | 你的丈夫和我说了一些 我不太懂的事 |
[11:36] | Tell me, why should I do something nice for you? | 告诉我 为何我要对你友好呢 |
[11:39] | And don’t say because you did something nice for my husband. | 别说是因为你曾取悦过我丈夫 |
[11:41] | What do you intend to do… with the photos? | 你想拿这些照片做什么 |
[11:45] | Half of Karl’s collection is already promised to | Karl的一半作品已经 |
[11:48] | the museum of modern art in New York. | 承诺捐给纽约的现代艺术博物馆了 |
[11:50] | I intend to auction off the other half. | 我想拍卖另一半 |
[11:52] | Including those photos. | 包括这些照片 |
[11:54] | Your pictures will be going on the block. | 你的照片将被出售 |
[12:05] | I need a favor… a very important, very personal favor. | 我请您帮个忙 一个很重要很私人的大忙 |
[12:09] | Of course. | 说吧 |
[12:10] | After an extended absence, | 在一段长时间的缺席后 |
[12:12] | I have recently reconnected with my daughter Rachel, | 我最近和我的女儿Rachel重新取得了联系 |
[12:17] | and I’ve learned that I have a beautiful granddaughter named Fiona. | 我知道了我有一个漂亮的孙女叫Fiona |
[12:21] | Congratulations, Paul. | 祝贺你 Paul |
[12:24] | My daughter is a drug addict. | 我女儿是个瘾君子 |
[12:27] | Or at least, she was. She says she’s clean now, | 至少 她曾经是 她说她现在已经戒掉了 |
[12:29] | but I have my suspicions. | 但是我还有所疑虑 |
[12:32] | If she is using again, then my granddaughter could be in danger. | 如果她又开始吸毒 那么我的孙女可能就身处危险了 |
[12:36] | My specialty isn’t family law. But what I know… | 我的专业不是家庭法 但是我认识… |
[12:39] | No, no, you misunderstand. I don’t want your legal advice. | 不不 你误解了 我不想要你的法律建议 |
[12:44] | I want you to find out if my daughter is using drugs again. | 我想让你找出我女儿是否又开始吸毒了 |
[12:50] | Brad | 如果说今年我学到了什么东西 Brad… if this year has taught me anything, |
[12:53] | it’s that you will get the job done by any means necessary. | 那就是你会采用任何必要的手段 来完成工作 |
[13:01] | I would never ask this of you unless it was essential. | 若非需要 我永远也不会问你这个的 |
[13:12] | Absolutely. I’ll do what I can. | 当然 我会尽己所能 |
[13:30] | What have you got? | 想到了什么 |
[13:32] | The 26th amendment. | 第26修正案 |
[13:34] | Karl Hauser was taking naked pictures of me, not denying me the vote. | Karl Hauser拍了我的裸照 没有否定我的投票权 |
[13:38] | The 26th amendment, which not only extended the right to vote to 18 year olds, | 第26修正案 不仅把这投票权扩展到18岁的人 |
[13:41] | but also persuaded the states to grant them status as adults, was ratified in 1971. | 同时也说服国会承认他们成年人的资格 这是在1971年被批准的 |
[13:48] | The photos were taken in 1966. Which, by the way, is my new favorite year. | 而照片是在1966年拍摄的 顺便说一句 那是我现在最喜欢的年份 |
[13:54] | And now mine as well. | 也是我的 |
[13:57] | I wasn’t 21 when I signed that agreement. | 当签署这一协议是我还未满21岁 |
[13:59] | I was legally a minor, and therefore can repudiate the contract. | 法律上我是个未成年人 因此可以否认这个合约的合法性 |
[14:04] | And I am an idiot. Why didn’t I think of this sooner? | 我是个傻瓜 怎么没早想到这个 |
[14:07] | I’m going to credit karma or Freud. | 我会将其视为缘分或弗洛伊德式的东西 |
[14:09] | Either way, it’s because I was destined to discover and revel | 不管哪种 都注定了我会发现并且为你 |
[14:15] | in the natural wonders of all that is you. | 你身上所有的那些天然奇迹而欢呼 |
[14:34] | Uh, excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[14:36] | I’m looking for some books on addiction and recovery. | 我在寻找一些关于吸毒和痊愈的书 |
[14:39] | Uh, yeah, they’re in the self-help section right over there. | 它们在那边的自选书架 |
[14:42] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[14:44] | Is there, you know, one book that’s better than the others? | 这里 你知道哪本最好吗? |
[14:50] | This way. | 这边请 |
[14:55] | This one has some good advice on the early stages, | 这本给了一些关于早期的很好的建议 |
[14:58] | when you’re detoxing and… and all that wonderful stuff. | 当你戒毒时…还有所有那些好的东西 |
[15:01] | And, uh, this one is really good for that time rights after you’ve stopped. | 这本适用于你刚停止的那段时间 |
[15:05] | When you’re trying to figure out how to put your life back together. | 当你试图让生活重回轨道时 |
[15:10] | Well, you know a lot about this. | 你知道的可真不少啊 |
[15:12] | Well, clean five years, three months and seven days. | 有五年三个月零七天没沾毒品了 |
[15:16] | It’s hard, but when you’re ready, you can get there. | 这很困难 但是一旦你准备好了 你就能做到 |
[15:19] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[15:20] | Sure. | 不客气 |
[15:22] | Uh, what time do you get off work? | 你什么时候下班 |
[15:26] | Oh, I’m sorry. I’m not coming on to you. | 抱歉 我没别的意思 |
[15:28] | I was just hoping that we could talk some more. | 我只是希望我们能更多的谈谈 |
[15:30] | I’ve sort of run out of people to talk to. | 我几乎找不到人可谈的了 |
[15:33] | I get off at 7:00. | 我7点下班 |
[15:35] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[15:36] | Sure, I’m Rachel. | 不客气 我叫Rachel |
[15:38] | I’m Brad. Nice to meet you. | 我是Brad 很高兴认识你 |
[15:42] | You’re buying those, right? | 你要买下这些吗 |
[15:43] | Oh, right, right. | 是的 |
[15:54] | I, uh, I hang sheetrock, mostly for industrial buildings. | 我挂了石膏灰胶纸夹板 它们大部分是用于工业建筑的 |
[15:57] | A craftsman. He works with his hands. Write that down. | 一个工匠 他有一双巧手 记下来 |
[16:02] | What else? | 还有什么 |
[16:04] | Oh, well, I live alone. Jamaica Plain. | 我一个人住 牙买加风格的平房 |
[16:05] | My ex-wife left me the house. | 我前妻留给了我这座房子 |
[16:06] | It’s not a bad neighborhood. But it does border one, | 社区不坏 但相邻的社区不怎么样 |
[16:09] | and it’s vulnerable because I have those old fashioned lever windows. | 它容易被闯入 因为我还是用那些旧式的抬式窗户 |
[16:13] | I can’t afford an alarm system. | 我买不起一个警报系统 |
[16:14] | I’ve been broken into four times in the last two years. | 在过去两年里我的房子 四次被破门而入 |
[16:17] | Drug addicts, they take everything. | 瘾君子们 他们拿走了一切 |
[16:19] | They took my TV, my bike my power tools, my guitar. | 他们拿走了我的电视机 我的自行车 我的电力工具 我的吉他 |
[16:22] | Musician. He writes the songs. | 音乐家 他写歌 |
[16:28] | Uh, but, uh, what finally did it for me was when | 最让我恼火的是 |
[16:30] | I was building an end table for my father | 我在给爸爸做一张茶几 |
[16:32] | for his television remote, his nebulizer | 让他放遥控器 喷雾器 |
[16:34] | ’cause he has, uh, some asthma. | 因为他有哮喘 |
[16:37] | And I’m halfway done, and some guy breaks into the house | 我做了一半了 有一个人闯进房子里来 |
[16:39] | and he.. and he steals my table saw. | 他 他偷走了我的茶几锯子 |
[16:41] | My table saw! | 我的茶几锯 |
[16:42] | I mean, that was it. That’s… that was all I could take. | 我是说 就是这样 这就是我所能做的 |
[16:45] | I’m not into guns. | 我不会用枪的 |
[16:47] | Don’t write that down. | 这个别记 |
[16:49] | But I, uh, I knew that I… I had to do something. | 但是 我知道 我得做些事情 |
[16:52] | So that’s when I rigged up my little system. | 所以我设置了我的小装置 |
[16:54] | You know, just a little jolt, you know, send them a little shock. | 只是一点小电流 吓一吓他们 |
[16:57] | Tell us what happened that night. You were at home? | 告诉我那晚发生了什么 你在家吗 |
[16:59] | Yeah, I was awake, actually. | 是的 事实上 我醒着呢 |
[17:00] | Um, I was putting some dishes away in the dishwasher. | 我在把一些餐碟放进洗碗机 |
[17:03] | And I heard some noise on the porch. | 我听见阳台上有响动 |
[17:05] | And I thought, here we go, this is it. | 我在想 来了 |
[17:07] | So I moved into the living room. | 所以我走进了卧室 |
[17:08] | So you saw him? | 你看见他了吗 |
[17:09] | Yeah, he was looking right through the window. | 是的 他就从那扇窗户里往里看 |
[17:10] | He’s a big wetback, you know? | 他是个大湿背 (wetback湿背人 尤指进入美国的墨西哥人) |
[17:12] | Latino. | 拉丁美洲人 |
[17:13] | Drug addict, I, He was completely high. | 瘾君子 他很亢奋 |
[17:15] | I could see it in his eyes even from inside the house. | 就算在房子里我也可以 从他的眼睛里看出来 |
[17:19] | And then what happened? | 然后发生了什么呢 |
[17:20] | Well, he… he starts for the window. | 他 他开始动窗户 |
[17:22] | Now I don’t know if you’ve ever seen anyone on crystal meth | 我不知道你是否见过 嗑crystal meth(冰毒)的人 |
[17:24] | or acid or, I don’t know, whatever this guy was on. | 或者迷幻药 我不知道 不管怎样那家伙正在兴头上 |
[17:27] | But, you know, they’re big and they’re ugly. | 但是 你知道他们很壮很脏 |
[17:29] | And they feel like they’re invincible. | 他们感觉自己是无敌的 |
[17:32] | So, he… he starts trying to pry open the window | 他 他开始试图打开那扇窗户 |
[17:34] | with a screwdriver or something. | 用一把螺丝起子或别的东西 |
[17:39] | and, uh… you know, that was it. | 然后 就是那样 |
[17:43] | The electricity went up the screwdriver into his body. | 电流顺着螺丝起子流进了他的身体 |
[17:46] | He… he completed the circuit. | 他 他形成了闭路 |
[17:48] | Sound horrible. | 真恐怖 |
[17:49] | Honestly, you know, it wasn’t. | 老实说 不是的 |
[17:51] | I mean, watching this guy. | 我是说 看看这个家伙 |
[17:52] | It was, it was like watching every guy who broke into my house | 就像是看到多年来 |
[17:55] | over the years and took from me, stole my stuff. | 每一个闯入我的房子 偷走我的东西的家伙 |
[17:58] | I mean, he was just getting what he deserved, right? | 我是指 他受到了应有的惩罚 不是吗 |
[18:02] | Let me tell you the most unbelievable thing. | 让我告诉你 最难以置信的是 |
[18:04] | Did you know that when you get electrocuted, | 当你触电时 |
[18:06] | you know, your blood literally boils? | 你的血液事实上会沸腾 |
[18:08] | Right inside the veins. | 就在血管里 |
[18:09] | That’s how the electricity flows through your body, | 电流就这样流过你的身体 |
[18:11] | through you veins! | 通过你的血管 |
[18:12] | And so here’s this guy. He’s a wetback. | 就像当时这个家伙 这个湿背 |
[18:15] | But I could see his veins are glowing through his skin | 但是我看得到他的血管在皮肤下闪耀 |
[18:19] | as he was being charred from the inside out. | 当他被彻底击中时 |
[18:22] | And I… I could smell his flesh burning. | 我 我能够闻到他的肉在燃烧 |
[18:24] | Which was weird. It smelled like a… a roast. | 很奇怪 闻上去就像是一块烤肉 |
[18:27] | A well deserved, cooked roast. | 一块精心制作的烤肉 |
[18:31] | That’s when I, You know. Finally turned off the electricity, | 这就是当我最终把电关掉后 |
[18:34] | when he was good and done. | 他完蛋了的样子 |
[18:52] | Well, so much for putting our hero on the stand. | 让我们的英雄上庭不太好吧 |
[18:53] | Oh, he’s on the stand, all right. | 他已经在准备上庭了 没事 |
[18:56] | Denny, with all due respect, | Denny 恰当的说 |
[18:58] | the man was practically wearing a bib with a knife | 当他讲故事的时候 |
[19:00] | and a fork in each hand as he was telling that story. | 他就像围着餐巾手里拿着刀叉一样 |
[19:02] | Denise, never give up an option. | Denise 永远别放弃可能性 |
[19:04] | The man was alit with passion, the kind of passion that moves juries. | 这个男人充满了激情 这种激情能够感动陪审团 |
[19:08] | So? | 那么 |
[19:08] | So he tell the story, not necessarily all his story, | 让他讲故事 但不是他故事的全部 |
[19:12] | but the part we want to tell. | 只是我们想要讲的那部分 |
[19:13] | We’re the ones creating the narrative. | 我们是故事创造者 |
[19:31] | Are you kidding? | 你在开玩笑吧 |
[19:33] | Were you kidding about wanting to get straight? | 难道你说想深入了解是开玩笑的? |
[19:35] | No. | 不 |
[19:43] | Thank you, Patrick, and keep coming back, buddy. | 谢谢你 Patrick 经常回来 朋友 |
[19:46] | Um, are there any other new members here today? | 今天有新成员吗 |
[19:52] | Brad… would you like to share? | Brad 你想和我们分享点什么吗 |
[19:55] | Uh, no. I’m new. | 噢 不 我是新来的 |
[19:57] | It’ll make you feel better. | 这会让你感觉好些 |
[20:00] | Right, uh… | 好的 |
[20:05] | Hi, uh… | 嗨 呃… |
[20:07] | Say your name. | 说说你的名字 |
[20:10] | I’m Brad. I’m a drug addict. | 我是Brad 我是个瘾君子 |
[20:12] | Hi, Brad. | 嗨 Brad |
[20:14] | Um, I’m not used to talking in public. | 我不太习惯在公众说话 |
[20:16] | Well, actually, I am, just not talking about myself. | 事实上 我只是不太会谈论我自己 |
[20:24] | Wow. you’re just going to let me keep going. Okay. | 你们要我继续下去 好吧 |
[20:29] | I was in the marine corps during the first Gulf War, operation Desert Storm. | 我第一次海湾战争沙漠风暴行动时 在海军服役 |
[20:34] | February 24, 1991. I was a Lieutenant in second reconnaissance battalion | 1911年2月24日 我是第二侦查营的一个上尉 |
[20:39] | of the first marine expeditionary force. | 在第一海军远征队中 |
[20:41] | Under enemy mortar, artillery and small arms fire, | 冒着敌人的迫击炮 炮火 还有小型轻武器 |
[20:44] | we breached minefields, trenches, barbed wire and disabled six enemy divisions. | 我们突破了雷区 壕沟 带刺铁丝网 还歼灭了六个敌师 |
[20:49] | By the morning of the 28th, | 在28日造成 |
[20:50] | from a hundred hours after the ground operations had begun, | 在军事行动开始100个小时后 |
[20:53] | our coalition forces had destroyed 42 enemy divisions. | 我们的联合部队歼灭了42个敌师 |
[20:56] | That’s the bulk of the Iraqi army in the Kuwaiti theater of operations. | 这就是在科威特战场的大部分伊拉克军队 |
[21:05] | So then I started using drugs. | 然后我开始了吸毒 |
[21:22] | Denny, you’re shiny… | Denny 你很耀眼 |
[21:25] | and in a wedge. | 锲型梯队 |
[21:26] | My team, Alan. | 我的团队 Alan |
[21:27] | I’m back and I’m feeling it. | 我回来了 我在感受 |
[21:30] | I’ve realized a truth about myself. | 我认识到了关于自己的一个事实 |
[21:32] | I just love… power. | 我很喜欢…权力 |
[21:36] | Well, it seems to have a thing for you as well. | 看起来也给你找了点事做 |
[21:39] | It’s m natural state. It’s my homeostasis. | 这是我的自然法则 动态平衡 |
[21:41] | Don’t read anything into that remark. | 别误解我的话 |
[21:43] | I already did. | 已经误解了 |
[21:50] | God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, | 上帝 让我平静的接受我 不能改变的事物吧 |
[21:55] | the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. | 给我改变我能够改变的事物的勇气 并给我了解其中区别的智慧 |
[22:00] | It works if you work it. So work it! | 如果你努力就管用 所以努力吧 |
[22:03] | See you soon. | 一会见 |
[22:19] | That was a nice story. | 这是个好故事 |
[22:21] | Uh… thanks. | 谢谢 |
[22:23] | Too bad it was a lie. | 可惜这是个谎言 太糟了 |
[22:26] | I won the war, then started using? | 我赢得了战争 然后开始吸毒? |
[22:29] | I’ve been coming to these meetings every day for five years. | 五年来我每天都来参加聚会 |
[22:31] | If you didn’t want to share your problems, you should’ve just passed. | 如果你不想分享你的问题 你可以直接跳过去 |
[22:35] | Oh, sharing’s not really my thing. | 分享确实不是我的习惯 |
[22:38] | It’s probably just how I was raised. | 可能在于我被抚养的方式 |
[22:41] | Doesn’t mean you can’t change. I was raised the same way. | 并不意味着你不能改变 我也是这样被抚养长大的 |
[22:44] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[22:44] | Yeah, my mother was warm, | 是的 我的妈妈很热情 |
[22:45] | but my father kept every emotion tightly tucked away in his suit pocket. | 但是爸爸总是把感情严密 的隐藏在西装口袋里 |
[22:51] | Right next to his watch. | 在他手表旁 |
[22:53] | It’s not always that easy to open up. | 显露感情不是总那么容易的 |
[22:54] | Ah, but it is. You just say what’s on your mind. | 但是确实 你想到什么就说什么 |
[22:58] | Instead, my dad… always the attorney. | 相反 我爸爸 总是端律师的架子 |
[23:00] | He’d just sit back and play little games. | 他不会采取行动 只是玩些小把戏 |
[23:02] | You know, letting out information with his obtuse questions. | 用他的蠢问题来打探信息 |
[23:06] | And on the rare occasion when he would open up and talk to me, | 很少见的情况下 他会敞开心扉和我交谈 |
[23:09] | he wasn’t happy unless I told him what he wanted to hear. | 在直到我说了他想听的东西 之前他是不会开心的 |
[23:13] | You know, being him… | 你知道 像他一样生活… |
[23:15] | I think it’s a hard way to live. | 我想非常的困难 |
[23:17] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[23:21] | And I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[23:24] | Well, buy me a cup of coffee and I might forgive you. | 给我买杯咖啡吧 也许我会原谅你 |
[23:27] | Great. | 好啊 |
[23:37] | And therefore, at age 19, Ms. Schmidt was, in fact, a minor. | 所以 19岁的Schmidt女士实际 上是个未成年人 |
[23:41] | There was no parental consent here, | 这里没有父母的许可证明 |
[23:43] | So, in essence, your husband was illegally taking nude photographs of an underage girl. | 所以实质上你丈夫违法给 一个未成年少女照了裸照 |
[23:50] | You make a legitimate argument, Mr. Shore. | Shore先生 你的辩解合理合法 |
[23:51] | Not my favorite kind, but I’m glad to play for that team when necessary. | 我不喜欢这样 但是在需要时我还是很乐意这么做 |
[23:55] | And you could certainly take us to court and fight this battle with that argument. | 你当然可以闹上法庭 用那个理由来打这场官司 |
[23:58] | We will if we have to. | 如果需要我们会奉陪 |
[23:59] | However, I believe our goal was to get these photos out of the public eye. | 但是 我想我们的目标在于 不要让那些照片公之于众 |
[24:03] | I’m afraid with a court battle, a very public court battle, | 我恐怕一次官司 一场非常公开的官司 |
[24:06] | these photos could find their way to the press. | 会使那些照片流入媒体 |
[24:08] | Before that could happen, of course, we’d ask the court to seal all exhibits | 在它发生前 我们当然会要求法庭封锁它们 |
[24:12] | and issue an appropriate gag order to prevent disclosure. | 签发一张合适的封锁令来阻止泄密 |
[24:14] | And you’d win, but you know what? | 你会赢的 但你知道吗 |
[24:16] | Thanks to the internet, winning doesn’t matter anymore. | 感谢网络 赢得官司不再重要了 |
[24:18] | These photos could somehow find their way onto the web, | 那些照片会以某种渠道流向网络 |
[24:21] | then all around the world, and then where would you be? | 然后传播到全世界 然后你将无处容身 |
[24:26] | Marguerite | Marguerite. |
[24:35] | Marguerite | Marguerite. |
[24:40] | Oh, I’ll be right out. | 我马上出去 |
[24:43] | Alan | Alan. |
[24:56] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[24:59] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:01] | Marguerite | Marguerite… |
[25:05] | Those pictures… | 那些照片 |
[25:08] | I have grandchildren. The thought of them seeing those photographs… | 我有孙儿 一想到让他们看到那些照片…. |
[25:15] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[25:20] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[25:32] | Your honor, Mr. Dominguez’s prior burglary convictions | 法官大人 Dominguez先生 早期入室行窃的前科 |
[25:35] | and history of drug abuse have no bearing on whether | 和他的吸毒史 |
[25:37] | the defendant improperly electrified his home. | 与被告不恰当地使他的房子通电无关 |
[25:39] | Nonsense. This felon was higher than a kite when he got zapped. | 胡说 这个恶人罪有应得 |
[25:43] | He has six prior convictions for larceny, burglary | 他身负六项定罪 盗窃罪 入室行窃罪 |
[25:45] | and grand theft auto. Of course it’s relevant. | 盗窃成癖 这当然有关联 |
[25:48] | The prejudicial effect of the victim’s prior criminal activity… | 对受害者之前犯罪行为 所产生的偏见的影响力… |
[25:50] | Your honor, my client is a victim here. I don’t under… | 法官大人 我的代理人是受害者 我不明白… |
[25:52] | Clearly outweighs | 显然超过了 |
[25:53] | any probative value such evidence would have for the jury. | 陪审团面前的任何证据 |
[25:56] | Enough. | 够了 |
[25:56] | Mr. Ginsberg is right. | Ginnsberg先生是对的 |
[25:58] | The evidence is highly prejudicial and will be barred at trial. | 证据偏见性很严重 因此将被本庭禁止 |
[26:02] | Mr. Crane, you may not bring up Mr. Dominguez’s prior bad acts | Crane先生 你不得再次提起 Dominguez先生先前的犯罪行为 |
[26:07] | unless the door to impeachment has been opened. | 除非与本案有关 |
[26:13] | Before answering any questions, | 在回答任何问题之前 |
[26:15] | I want to thank my client Miguel Dominguez for bravely agreeing to be here today. | 我想感谢我的委托人 Miguel Dominguez 勇敢地答应今天来这 |
[26:20] | Mr. Dominguez suffers from severe paralysis | Dominguez忍受着严重的瘫痪 |
[26:24] | and a host of other debilitating symptoms as the result of his electrocution. | 还有其他一系列源于电击的后遗症 |
[26:28] | Nevertheless, he is here today to stand up for all of us, | 不过 他今天来到这面对我们大家 |
[26:32] | to help in the fight to make our country a safer place, | 来帮助我们国家成为 一个更安全的地方 |
[26:36] | a place where citizens do not take the law into their own hands. | 一个公民不会滥用私刑的地方 |
[26:41] | Mr. Dominguez is an inspiration to his community. | Dominguez先生是这场运动的先驱 |
[26:45] | He is a hero. | 他是一个英雄 |
[26:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:51] | That bastard stole my story. | 那混蛋窃取了我的故事 |
[27:05] | What about branding? | 要怎样的定位? |
[27:06] | I haven’t branded yet. | 还没想好 |
[27:07] | No branding? | 不搞定位了? |
[27:08] | No, no, not. | 不不还没好 |
[27:09] | Denny | Denny. |
[27:10] | Denny | Denny. |
[27:11] | Denise Bauer Oh, uh, Denise Bauer. | |
[27:13] | Candy Springtime, public relations. | Candy Springtime 公共关系专家 |
[27:15] | Hello. | 你好 |
[27:16] | Hi. | 你好 |
[27:16] | She’s with, uh, Sherling Thompson. | 她和Sherling Thompson在一起 |
[27:18] | The same, uh, public relations firm the government uses. So you know she’s good. | 和政府聘请的公关公司是同一间 因此你知道她很棒 |
[27:22] | Denise, we’re rolling out a new campaign to take back the story on Mr. Blayney. | Denise 我们在策划一个新的宣传来 夺回我们的故事 |
[27:25] | Ya… “Take back the story”? | 夺回故事? |
[27:27] | Oh, Denny tells me that you haven’t branded him yet. | Denny告诉我你还没给他定位 |
[27:30] | So I took the initiative and created a brand. | 所以我采取主动做了一个定位 |
[27:32] | Russell Blayney, American Homeowner. | Russell Blayney 美国私房主 |
[27:36] | “American Homeowner”? | 美国私房主? |
[27:37] | Simple. It’s to the point. | 简单 正中主题 |
[27:38] | And cozy. | 惬意 |
[27:39] | Say it for me, Denny. Press conference voice. | 给我念念 Denny 用新闻发布会的声音 |
[27:42] | Russell Blayney, American Homeowner. | Russell Blayney 美国私房主 |
[27:43] | Now wait a minute, wait a minute. | 等会 等会 |
[27:45] | American Homeowner, Russell Blayney. | 美国私房主 Russell Blayney. |
[27:47] | See, it works both ways. Versatile. | 看 两样都行 通用 |
[27:49] | But do we really think that we need to label Mr. Blayney? | 但是我们确实需要给Blayney先生贴标签吗 |
[27:54] | Denny? | Denny? |
[27:56] | Denise Rodney King Uh, Denise Rodney King. | (四名白人警察因疯狂殴打超速行驶的 黑人青年Rodney King而被判无罪一案) |
[27:59] | Rodney King | 十年前被警察很惨的欧打过 Rodney King, uh, severely beaten by the police over ten years ago. |
[28:03] | See, you remember, why? Branding. | 你还记得 为何呢 就是定位 |
[28:05] | They didn’t call him Rodney King… | 他们不叫他Rodney King… |
[28:07] | wife beater, alcohol abuser, | 虐妻人 酒鬼 |
[28:09] | who swung a tire iron at a convenience store clerk. | 用轮胎铁袭击便利店店员的人 |
[28:13] | They called him Rodney King, motorist. Or motorist Rodney king. | 他们叫他Rodney King 开车的 或开车的Rodney King |
[28:16] | Brings to mind images of a jaunty man in a riding hat and cap in a model T. | 想象这幅图像 一个自信的人带着马帽 摆出T型姿势 |
[28:21] | That’s what we want. Russell Blayney, American Homeowner. | 这就是我们想要的 Russell Blayney美国私房主 |
[28:24] | Not Russell Blayney eats them broiled, baked or fried. | 不是Russell Blayney 煎炒煮炸 |
[28:28] | But Rodney King was beaten. | 但是Rodney King是被打的那一个 |
[28:29] | Okay, now this is just a mock up. | 好了 看这个仿制品 |
[28:32] | Obviously, we will replace Jimmy Stewart with Mr. Blayney. | 显然 我们要用 Blayney先生来 取代Jimmy Stewart(著名影星) |
[28:36] | But the banner can and should be behind you | 但是条幅可以也应该在 |
[28:39] | every press conference, Denny. | 你每场新闻发布会后面放着 Denny |
[28:41] | Notice I used the same font as “Mission Accomplished”. | 注意我用了和”任务完成”那种字体 |
[28:44] | Americans are comfortable with that font. | 美国人觉得那种字体舒服 |
[28:46] | Now we will send B-Roll of Mr. Blayney to the press, | 现在我们送一段Blayney 先生的B-ROLL给媒体 (B ROLL是一种随意的采访片段) |
[28:49] | working in his garage, using his table saw, | 在他的车库里工作 使用他的茶几锯 |
[28:51] | working with his power tools, fixing things around the house. | 用他的工具箱 修理房子 |
[28:53] | And as far as the talking points, keep it simple, Denny. | 至于论点 保持简单 Denny |
[28:57] | Speak of the opposition as the drug crazed intruder, | 与那个瘾君子小偷针锋相对 |
[29:01] | the incident as the harrowing home invasion. | 这场痛心的入室袭击案件 |
[29:03] | Now I know you’re tight with Larry King. | 我知道你和Larry King关系紧密 |
[29:05] | But we are negotiating with “Nightline,” “Hardball” and “The Daily Show”. | 但我们也要上”夜间新闻”” 硬碰硬”和”每日秀” |
[29:12] | That is where most Americans get their news. | 这是美国人获取他们新闻的渠道 |
[29:19] | There’s no way we’re gonna win this, is there? | 我们没法赢它 可以吗 |
[29:20] | Legally, yes, there is, as for accomplishing your goals, no. | 法律上说 为了达成你的目标 没有 |
[29:24] | But when you have occasion to ask for my help, Shirley. | 但是每当你向我寻求帮助时 Shirley |
[29:27] | Typically, it’s not really legal help you’re looking for. | 很明显 你不是在寻求法律途径解决 |
[29:30] | I’ll assume this is no exception. | 我想这也不例外 |
[29:32] | Alan, I’ve already caused Marguerite Hauser as much pain as I care to. | Alan 我已经让Marguerite受了许多痛苦 |
[29:35] | I’ll leave the creativity to you, just don’t hurt her. | 你发挥自己的创造力吧 但是不要伤害她 |
[29:41] | America is under siege, not from Saddam or pro-terrorists, | 美国在被围攻 不是萨达姆或恐怖分子 |
[29:46] | but from namby pamby pro-burglary advocates | 而是一些入室行窃的倡导者 |
[29:49] | who want to strip us of the right to protect what’s ours. | 他们企图剥夺我们保卫自己的权利 |
[29:53] | That’s what our… | 这就是我们 |
[29:55] | Looks like Denny’s being Denny. | 看起来Denny还是Denny |
[29:57] | He’s “creating the reality”. | 他正在”创造事实” |
[30:00] | I doubt many people would want to live in Denny’s reality. | 我怀疑很多人愿意活在Denny的事实里 |
[30:03] | All I know is there are two rotten guys in this case, | 我所知道的是这个案子里 双方都不是好人 |
[30:07] | and both sides are trying to make theirs as the hero. | 两方都设法使自己的委托人成为英雄 |
[30:10] | If you’ve got a problem with this case, | 如果你对这个案子有问题 |
[30:12] | I suggest you talk to the guy whose name is on the door. | 我建议你和那个名字写在门上的人谈谈 |
[30:15] | I’m not naive, Paul. | 我不幼稚 Paul |
[30:16] | I know this kind of manipulation goes on all the time. | 我知道这种操纵一直都存在 |
[30:19] | But I’m an attorney, not a spin doctor. | 但是我是一个律师 不是政治顾问 |
[30:21] | Oh, yes, you are. | 是的你是 |
[30:23] | We all are. | 我们都是 |
[30:25] | That’s what attorneys do… | 这就是律师做的 |
[30:26] | tell stories, create characters, | 讲故事 塑造人物形象 |
[30:28] | capture an audience, try them make them feel what we want them to feel. | 抓住观众 试图让他们感觉到 我们想让他们感觉的东西 |
[30:33] | That’s good lawyering. | 好的律师就是这样子的 |
[30:35] | Only these days, everybody’s trying to get in on our act… | 但是这年代 每个人都想来找我们帮忙 |
[30:37] | The government, the corporations. | 政府 公司 |
[30:39] | There are no facts anymore, kiddo. | 不再有事实了 姑娘 |
[30:41] | Only good or bad fiction. | 只有好的或坏的虚构故事 |
[30:44] | which story do you plan to sell the jury? | 你打算向陪审团出售哪个故事 |
[30:48] | Don’t you worry. | 不用你担心 |
[30:49] | This case will never go to trial. | 这个案子永远也不会上法庭的 |
[31:00] | Mr. Shore, with all due respect. | Shore先生 请原谅我冒犯 |
[31:02] | You are on our last nerve. | 我们的耐性快到极限了 |
[31:04] | You said you had an intriguing offer. | 你说过你有个迷人的提议 |
[31:06] | Get to it. | 说吧 |
[31:07] | Delighted. | 很高兴 |
[31:08] | First, how about we ask all the lawyers to leave the room? | 首先 让我们要求所有的律师 离开这间屋子怎样 |
[31:12] | You’re a lawyer. | 你是个律师 |
[31:13] | Okay. How about all the lawyers who aren’t me? | 那就请所有不包括我的律师离开如何 |
[31:23] | Here it is, then. | 就是这样 |
[31:25] | Simply put… it’s Shirley Schmidt. | 很简单 这是Shirley Schmidt |
[31:29] | As much as I admire and respect her, | 尽管我和崇拜和尊重她 |
[31:32] | if I don’t resolve this case, | 如果我不解决这个案子 |
[31:35] | I’m afraid she’ll get nervous and fall back on old habits. | 我恐怕她会神经紧张 又使用一些老习惯 |
[31:38] | She’ll call in the old guard, one of the cronies in banking and finance, | 她会找来她的一个在银行界 和金融界吃得开的老朋友 |
[31:42] | someone who smells like old pipe smoke and hair tonic, | 一个闻起来有烟斗和护发素味道的人 |
[31:44] | someone with a florid nose from too many old fashioned at lunch down the street. | 一个有着鲜红的鼻子 嗜好在街上享受旧式晚餐的人 |
[31:49] | And this fella, whoever he is, will have friends. | 而这个人 不管他是谁 会有朋友 |
[31:52] | Friends who work in banks, who probably shouldn’t, | 那些在银行工作的朋友 那些也许不应该这样做 |
[31:55] | who don’t treat confidential information very confidentially. | 那些保管机密信息的人 |
[31:58] | And then, Marguerite, | 那样 Marguerite |
[31:59] | the old crony will discover how deeply in debt you are. | 她这个朋友会发现你债务缠身 |
[32:02] | And once he learns this, | 一旦他知道了 |
[32:04] | my replacement will make a few phone calls, write a few letters | 我的接替者会打几个电话 写几封信 |
[32:07] | and seek out your husband’s most distant and forgotten relative. | 寻找你丈夫最远最被遗忘的亲戚 |
[32:10] | Perhaps a less fortunate cousin who always admired but could never afford | 也许是一个不是很有钱但一直 |
[32:13] | one of your husband’s beautiful artworks. | 仰慕但负担不起你丈夫漂亮艺术品的侄子 |
[32:15] | And my replacement will reach out to him and commiserate | 我的替代者会找到他 |
[32:17] | and convince him to contest your husband’s will. | 怜悯他并说服他来和你争你丈夫的遗产 |
[32:20] | At which point, your husband’s estate will be tied up. | 不管怎样 你丈夫的资产会被冻结 |
[32:22] | Well, it could be for years, decades, really. | 那可能是几年 几十年事实上 |
[32:25] | And if this replacement of mine turns out to be this fella | 如果这个朋友替代了我 |
[32:28] | I’m thinking of, it could get really ugly. | 我想 可能就不太好看了 |
[32:32] | For such a vague man, you’ve been extraordinarily clear, Mr. Shore. | 对于你这样一个含糊不清的人 你说得够明白的了 Shore先生 |
[32:36] | Yes, and here’s the thing. | 是的 问题在于 |
[32:38] | I just don’t like the way these people operate around here. It’s just not right. | 我不喜欢这些人的行事方式 这不对 |
[32:43] | These photographs are yours to do with what you please, | 那些照片是你的 你随便怎样都可以 |
[32:46] | and you should get a fair market price. | 你也可以拿到一个公平市场价 |
[32:47] | So, before I simply give up and call it a day… | 所以 在我干脆放弃并和结束今天的谈话之前 |
[32:54] | I’d like to ask you one question. | 我想问你一个问题 |
[33:00] | And what is that? | 什么 |
[33:03] | What is your price? | 你开价多少 |
[33:20] | Have you made contact with Rachel? | 你和Rachel联系过了吗 |
[33:22] | I did. I told her I was a drug addict. | 我联系了 我告诉她我是一个瘾君子 |
[33:26] | And? | 然后呢 |
[33:27] | She took me to a narcotics anonymous meeting, | 她带我去了一个毒品的匿名集会 |
[33:29] | told me that if I wanted to get clean, that I needed to work the program. | 告诉我如果我想保持不再犯 我需要加入这个项目 |
[33:33] | So, she’s no longer using? | 她不再用药啦? |
[33:35] | No. She’s been clean for five years. | 不 她已经戒了五年了 |
[33:38] | I mean, she’s calm, rational, straightforward… | 我是说 她镇定 理性 开诚布公 |
[33:41] | very down to earth, as a matter of fact. | 事实上 脚踏实地 |
[33:45] | Fine. | 很好 |
[33:47] | Thank you, Brad. | 谢谢你 Brad |
[33:50] | You know, Paul, for what it’s worth, | Paul 重要的是 |
[33:52] | she really wants to have a relationship with you. | 她真的很重视和你的关系 |
[33:55] | And I with her. | 我也是 |
[33:56] | And you know what might help? Is if you showed her a littlie faith. | 你知道怎么比较好吗 就是你对她表现出一点信任 |
[34:00] | She might pick up on that. | 她也许会渐渐接受你 |
[34:02] | I beg your pardon? | 什么 |
[34:03] | Well, she says that sometimes, you can be very… judgmental. | 她说有时 你很挑剔 动辄指责人 |
[34:07] | Brad while your efforts are fully appreciated, | Brad 虽然很感谢你的努力帮助 |
[34:10] | your advice to a father concerning his daughter is not. | 但是并不包括你对一个 关心女儿的父亲的建议 |
[34:13] | You have no idea the years I’ve spent dealing with my daughter’s illness. | 你不知道这些年来我一直在处理女儿的病 |
[34:17] | So it would behoove you to be more circumspect. | 所以慎重点是应该的 |
[34:22] | I’m sorry. That was over the line. | 我很抱歉 我越线了 |
[34:26] | But, I mean, Paul, the truth is you’ve got. Really, a hell of a daughter. | 但是 我想说 Paul 你已得到了一个很棒的女儿 |
[34:29] | She’s sweet, she’s beautiful, nothing rattles her. | 她可人 她漂亮 没什么能让她惊慌的 |
[34:33] | Even when she lost her ATM card… | 即使她丢了她的ATM卡 |
[34:34] | I would’ve panicked. But she was really cool. | 作为我当然不会惊慌 但是她这样确实很酷 |
[34:37] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[34:39] | Oh, Rachel lost her ATM card. | Rachel丢了她的ATM卡 |
[34:41] | So I loaned her 40 bucks. | 所以我借给了她40美元 |
[35:05] | Dad. | 爸爸 |
[35:06] | I had a lunch meeting nearby. | 我今天在附近有个午餐会 |
[35:09] | Well, how very impromptu of you, and unusual. | 很突然阿 满不寻常的 |
[35:12] | Yes, well… people can change. | 是的 人们会改变的 |
[35:17] | Yes, they can. | 是的 他们会 |
[35:21] | Come on in. | 进来 |
[35:26] | Can I get you something to drink? | 想喝点什么吗 |
[35:28] | No, no, I… | 不 我 |
[35:30] | I thought I would take Fiona to the aquarium if that’s all right with you. | 如果可以的话 我想带Fiona去水族馆 |
[35:34] | Yeah, I… I pick her up from day care in 20 minutes. | 好啊 我二十分钟后就去日托所接她 |
[35:36] | Good, I’ll go with you. | 好的 我和你一起去 |
[35:39] | Sure. | 当然 |
[35:45] | May I use your bathroom? | 我能用下你的洗手间吗 |
[35:47] | Through there. | 在那边 |
[36:32] | You have a child. | 你有个孩子 |
[36:36] | A child! | 一个孩子 |
[36:37] | This is my house. | 在我的房子里 |
[36:38] | How long? | 有多久了 |
[36:38] | You came here and you set me up. | 你来这设计我 |
[36:40] | You will not ruin her. | 你不能毁了她 |
[36:41] | You have ruined everything | 你已经毁了一切了 |
[36:42] | and everyone you’ve ever come in contact with. | 每个和你接触的人 |
[36:44] | I hate you. | 我恨你 |
[36:45] | You will not do this to my granddaughter. | 你不能这样对我的孙女 |
[36:47] | I hate you. | 我恨你 |
[36:49] | You bastard! | 你这个混蛋 |
[36:57] | Is counsel prepared to begin voir dire? | 律师准备好开始预先审查程序(voir dire)了吗 (voir dire 确认陪审员们是否是公平而兼听) |
[37:00] | We are, your honor. | 我们好了 法官大人 |
[37:01] | The commonwealth may begin. | 本庭现在宣布开庭 |
[37:07] | Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I’m assistant district attorney Ginsberg. | 下午好 女士们先生们 我是公诉人助手Ginsberg |
[37:10] | Now as we begin to pick our potential jury members, | 当我们开始挑选我们的陪审团员时 |
[37:14] | I just want to get to know a bit about you. | 我想知道一点你的事情 |
[37:15] | First off, by a show of hands, | 首先 举手表决 |
[37:18] | how many of you have heard about this case on the news? | 你们有多少人听过这个案子的新闻 |
[37:22] | I see. | 知道了 |
[37:23] | And how many of you have seen opposing counsel Denny crane on the news? | 你们有多少人在新闻中见过 反方辩护律师Denny Crane |
[37:32] | Juror number seven, can you tell us what opinions you’ve formed? | 7号陪审员 你能告诉我你有什么观点吗 |
[37:35] | I think people should be allowed to defend their homes. | 我想人们应该被允许保卫他们的家园 |
[37:38] | Like Mr. Crane said, if the guy didn’t want to get hurt, | 就像Crane先生说的 如果那个家伙不想受伤 |
[37:41] | he shouldn’t have been robbing anyone. | 就不应该去抢劫别人 |
[37:43] | Commonwealth challenges juror number seven for cause. | 联邦向7号陪审员询问理由 |
[37:46] | No objection, your honor. | 无异议 法官大人 |
[37:47] | Juror number seven, you are excused. | 7号陪审员 你被准许回答 |
[37:51] | I’ve worked hard to become an American Homeowner. | 我工作很努力来成为一名美国私房主 |
[37:53] | If the guy tried to break into my place | 如果这个家伙试图闯入我的领地 |
[37:55] | I’d do the same thing. | 我会做同样的事 |
[37:56] | I’d want to kill the son of a bitch. | 我会杀了这个婊子养的 |
[37:57] | It’s my right as an American Homeowner. | 这是我作为一名美国私房主的权利 |
[37:59] | I may live in an apartment, but I still consider myselfan American Homeowner. | 我会住在公寓里 但我仍考虑成为一名美国私房主 |
[38:03] | American homeowner. | 美国私房主 |
[38:04] | American homeowner. | 美国私房主 |
[38:05] | American homeowner. | 美国私房主 |
[38:07] | American homeowner. | 美国私房主 |
[38:08] | God bless America. | 上帝保佑美国 |
[38:10] | Your honor, with his television appearances and theatrics, | 法官大人 鉴于他在电视上的曝光和作秀 |
[38:13] | Mr. Crane has tainted the jury pool to such an extent | Crane先生影响陪审团到了这个程度 |
[38:15] | that the commonwealth moves for a change of venue. | 以至于联邦得更换审讯地点 |
[38:18] | Denied, Mr. Ginsberg. | 否决 Ginsberg先生 |
[38:20] | You both have manipulated the media coverage of this case, | 你们两个都利用媒体报道了这个案子 |
[38:24] | only Mr. Crane has done a better job of it. | 只是Crane先生做得更好些 |
[38:27] | You will play in the sandbox that you built. | 你们自己选择了这样做 那么就要遵守游戏规则 |
[38:43] | Shirley, Blondie, join me. | Shirley 金发女孩 过来 |
[38:48] | I’m happy to inform you there’s going to be a plea bargain | 我很高兴通知你 就美国私房主这一个案件 |
[38:51] | in the American Homeowner case. | 将有一场辩诉交易 |
[38:52] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道的 |
[38:54] | Today, my office has indicted city councilman Adam Patrick | 今天 我的事务所已经起诉了 市议员Adam Patrick |
[38:58] | on charges of accepting bribes and illegal campaign contributions. | 指控他接受贿赂和非法竞选捐助 |
[39:02] | He has agreed to surrender at his arraignment. | 他同意在传讯时放弃 |
[39:05] | He’s changing the narrative. We’re yesterday’s news. | 他改变焦点了 我们变成明日黄花了 |
[39:08] | You got to hand it to him. The guy’s good. | 你得为他鼓掌 那个家伙做得不错 |
[39:10] | He’s creating his next reality. | 他在编造他的下一个”事实” |
[39:11] | I wonder what he’s gonna put on the table. | 我在想他将会怎么处理 |
[39:13] | No jail time. | 不用蹲监狱了 |
[39:14] | How can you be so sure? | 你怎么如此肯定呢 |
[39:16] | Years of experience. | 多年的经验 |
[39:17] | And he called a half an hour ago. | 他一个小时前也来了电话 |
[39:27] | What are you going to do with those? | 你想怎么处置那些照片? |
[39:30] | I haven’t decided. | 我还没有决定呢 |
[39:32] | You know the one where you’re not quite sure what you’re looking at, | 你知道有时候你不知道 你在看的那张是什么 |
[39:36] | then you take a step back and realize what it is? | 然后退后点却认识到了那是什么 |
[39:40] | That one may be going in the powder room. | 我会把它挂在化妆间 |
[39:42] | Alan | Alan… |
[39:42] | Tell you what… I’ll leave them to you when I die. | 告诉你 我死后将把它们留给你 |
[39:46] | As things stand, I’m quite sure I’ll pass on before you. | 照现状看 我很确定我会比你早死 |
[39:49] | Show those pictures to anyone, and I’ll see to it myself. | 你给别人看那些照片的话 我会亲自解决你 |
[39:53] | Shirley, I have no intention of sharing those with anyone. | Shirley 我不打算和任何人分享它们 |
[39:56] | I’m keeping you all to myself. I give you my word. | 我将自己享受 一言为定 |
[40:01] | You’re one of the few people for whom I know that to be true. | 在我认识的为数不多的律师中 你是说话算话的其中一个 |
[40:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:09] | No, thank you. | 不 谢谢你 |
[40:29] | I understand congratulations are in order. | 看来该祝贺啊 |
[40:31] | Never lost, never will. | 从没输过 永远不会 |
[40:36] | I may not be the Denny Crane I once was, | 我也许不再是以前的Denny Crane了 |
[40:38] | but until today, I didn’t realize | 但是直到今天 我才意识到 |
[40:40] | that this Denny Crane might be even better. | 这个Denny Crane 可能更好 |
[40:43] | Opposing lawyers everywhere are quaking in their custom fitted shoes. | 任何地方的反方律师对着你 都会如履薄冰 |
[40:47] | Damn right, they are. So who cares if she… | 确实 他们是 所以谁在乎呢 就算她… |
[40:52] | Who cares… | 谁在乎 |
[40:55] | You’re still upset about Bev. | 你还是因为Bev而沮丧 |
[40:56] | What I don’t understand is, | 我不明白的是 |
[40:58] | I was married to one of my wives for five years, | 我曾和其中的一个妻子结婚五年 |
[41:00] | got over her in a day. | 一天就忘了她了 |
[41:02] | Bev and I were married for three hours, and yet… | Bev和我才结婚了3个小时 但… |
[41:06] | And yet? | 但还是? |
[41:08] | Do you know that I even have memories of her that aren’t sexual? | 知道吗 我甚至记得有关她非性方面的事 |
[41:13] | I’m sure you do. | 我确定你是的 |
[41:15] | I miss her. | 我想念她 |
[41:18] | I miss her. | 我想念她 |
[41:22] | Well, are the rumors true? | 那么 那些流言是真的吗? |
[41:24] | You have naked photos of Shirley? | 你有Shirley的裸照? |
[41:27] | Ah, come on. What’s the big deal? | 噢 别这样 有什么大不了的? |
[41:31] | I’ve had naked photos of Shirley for years. | 我藏了Shirley的裸照好多年了 |
[41:41] | Denny, she’s asleep in all these. | Denny 这些她都在睡觉 |
[41:44] | Here’s one where she woke up. | 这是她醒来的一张 |
[41:48] | Have you ever seen a beautiful, naked woman look that angry? | 你看过一个漂亮的裸体女人如此愤怒吗? |