时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:13] | Did he say what it was about? | 他有说是什么事吗? |
[00:14] | No, and I tried to get him to tell me. | 没有 我试图让他告诉我 |
[00:16] | He said he’d only speak to you. | 但他说只想和你谈 |
[00:17] | Well, I’ve got the weeks coming in. | 可是 我这个星期都安排满了 |
[00:19] | They’re fighting over the Nantucket house again. | 他们又在为楠塔基特岛的房子而争吵了 (楠塔基特岛位于美国马萨诸塞州沿海) |
[00:21] | He says he’ll only speak to you. | 他说只想和你谈 |
[00:27] | Dwight, how are you? | Dwight 你好吗? |
[00:29] | Oh, not good, Shirley. | 不是那么好Shirley |
[00:33] | – Why? – Jeanie is leaving me. | – 为什么? – Jeanie 要离开我了 |
[00:36] | What? Why? | 什么? 为什么? |
[00:39] | And she’s trying to have the marriage annulled. | 而且她正试图抹杀整个婚姻的存在事实 |
[00:41] | That’s ridiculous, not to mention impossible. | 那很荒谬 而且不可能 |
[00:44] | You’ve been married over 20 years. | 你们已经结婚20多年了 |
[00:46] | She just wants it all erased | 她就是要把一切都抹去 |
[00:47] | as if, as if I never existed, I guess. | 就像 就像从来没有发生过 |
[00:51] | Why? What’s gotten into her? | 为什么? 她发生什么事了? |
[00:54] | Well, it’s more of what I’ve gotten into, I suppose. | 那个 事实上 是我发生了点事 |
[00:59] | I strayed. | 我有了外遇 |
[01:02] | You? | 你? |
[01:04] | Well, I, I can’t pretend I’m not shocked. | 好吧 我不能假装我不吃惊 |
[01:07] | Even so, infidelity isn’t grounds for annulment. | 就算是那样 也没有理由废除你们的婚姻啊 |
[01:14] | There’s something you’re not telling me. | 你有事瞒着我 |
[01:19] | I strayed with Wendy. | 我和Wendy 好上了 |
[01:21] | You’ve met Wendy. | 你见过Wendy的 |
[01:24] | Wendy… | Wendy… |
[01:27] | Your cow? | 你的…母牛? |
[01:30] | We became very close. | 我们变得很亲密 |
[01:32] | One night, I’d had a bit to drink, I suppose. | 有一天晚上 我想我喝多了 |
[01:36] | Jeanie and I had been a little estranged, and… | 而且我和Jeanie 有一点疏远 所以… |
[01:41] | You strayed… | 你和一头畜生… |
[01:43] | with livestock? | 好上了? |
[01:45] | It’s not what you think. | 并不是你所想的那样 |
[01:46] | It was all very loving. I know Jeanie. | 它实在是很可爱 我了解Jeanie |
[01:49] | She’s gonna try and make me out a big sicko. | 她想试图证明我是个疯子 |
[01:51] | Geez. | 咝… |
[01:52] | Obviously, I made a mistake, | 很明显 我犯了一个错误 |
[01:54] | but I’ve been a good husband for 23 years, | 但是我23年来一直都是一个好丈夫 |
[01:57] | a deacon at our church, a model philanthropist, | 教堂中的执事 一个模范慈善家 |
[02:00] | a respected professor at a major university, | 一所大学里德高望众的教授 |
[02:03] | a town selectman, even. | 我甚至还是镇里面管理委员会的成员 |
[02:05] | You sleep with one cow. | 你和一头牛睡觉 |
[02:07] | Please don’t make sport. | 请别嘲笑我 |
[02:10] | And don’t make light. | 也别鄙视我 |
[02:12] | I don’t want to lose my wife. | 我不想失去我的妻子 |
[02:47] | You cannot turf this one to me. | 你不能把这个案子丢给我 |
[02:49] | – Shirley… – Oh, but I can. | – 噢 我当然可以 – Shirley… |
[02:51] | Look, I can defend almost | 看 我可以为任何人 |
[02:54] | anyone against almost anything but… | 辩护任何事情 但是… |
[02:56] | growing up, I had a cow. | 我原来养过一头牛 |
[02:58] | – You? – Not sexually. As a pet. | – 你…? – 别乱想 是我的宠物 |
[03:01] | Bumpy. | 叫做Bumpy |
[03:02] | I had dogs, cats, a tree frog, but… | 我养过小猫 小狗 树蛙 但是… |
[03:06] | Bumpy | Bumpy. |
[03:07] | I cherished that animal. | 是我最喜欢的动物 |
[03:09] | To think what Dwight… | 一想到Dwight… |
[03:12] | I can’t go there, Denise. | 我不能接这个案子Denise |
[03:13] | What makes you think I can? | 为什么你认为我可以呢? |
[03:14] | You’re being asked to. | 我要你接 |
[03:15] | The name of this firm is Crane, Poole and Schmidt. | 这间事务所的名字是Crane Poole and Schmidt |
[03:19] | I’m Schmidt. | 我是Schmidt |
[03:20] | Shirley, please, I am begging you. | Shirley 别 我求你了 |
[03:22] | – Someone’s got to do it, Denise | – 总得有人去接Denise |
[03:23] | Can’t be me. | 不可能是我 |
[03:32] | Denny Crane. | Denny Crane. |
[03:34] | I don’t know why I’m here. | 我不知道我来这干嘛 |
[03:38] | Denny Crane I’ve been summoned. | 我是被叫来的 Denny Crane. |
[03:40] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[03:42] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[03:44] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[03:47] | Trial date is set for December the | 审判日期定于 12月2日 |
[03:49] | 2nd. We will conference a week from today. | 从今天开始的1周内我们会对此案进行商讨 |
[03:51] | Denny Crane. Who the hell called, and why? | Denny Crane 究竟是谁叫我来的 叫我来干什么? |
[03:54] | Oh, Denny Crane. | 噢Denny Crane |
[03:55] | Ah, Mr. Crane, recall Jessel, would you, please? | Crane先生来了 请你重新传召Jessel |
[03:59] | Docket number 166253, commonwealth vs Ronald Jessel. | 案件编码166253 联邦政府对Ronald Jessel |
[04:03] | Mr. Crane, you’ve been assigned to | Crane先生 你被指派 |
[04:05] | represent one of our indigent defendants. | 为我们一位请不起律师的被告辩护 |
[04:07] | Thank you for coming in. | 谢谢你能来 |
[04:08] | No can do, judge. | 不 我不干 法官 |
[04:09] | – I beg your pardon? – Indigent are poor. | – 你说什么? – 请不起律师就是穷人 |
[04:11] | Hate the poor. Can’t pay. | 我讨厌穷人 他们不会付钱 |
[04:13] | Mr. Crane, this isn’t a request. It’s a court order. | Crane先生 这不是请求 这是法院的指示 |
[04:15] | Unless you think that senior | 除非你认为事务所的高级合伙人 |
[04:17] | partners are exempt from civic duty. | 能够免除应尽的义务 |
[04:18] | Was it a hooker? I can do hookers. | 是妓女吗? 妓女我可以接受 |
[04:20] | It’s a murder case. Your client is right there. | 是谋杀案 你的委托人就在那边 |
[04:27] | Defense pleads guilty. | 被告认罪 |
[04:29] | We accept the district | 我们接受地区检察官 |
[04:30] | attorney’s recommendation for sentencing. | 提出的判决 |
[04:32] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[04:33] | Come back here this instant, or | 给我回来 |
[04:35] | you will be held in contempt, sir. | 不然我判你藐视法庭 先生 |
[04:37] | What did you just say? | 你刚才说什么? |
[04:38] | You will meet your client. | 你必须和你的委托人商量 |
[04:40] | You will return here this | 然后今天下午 |
[04:41] | afternoon to enter your plea, | 回来这里抗辩 |
[04:42] | and you will give him adequate representation. | 你必须遵循他的意愿来进行辩诉 |
[04:45] | He allegedly killed a 13-year-old | 他涉嫌杀害一名13岁的女孩 |
[04:47] | girl, hence the presence of the media. | 因此吸引了许多媒体到场 |
[04:49] | He’ll get high-profile representation as well. | 他也有权获得良好的辩护 |
[04:53] | Go. | 去吧 |
[05:07] | Hope you die. | 去死吧 |
[05:10] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[05:33] | Hey! Kid. Front and center. | 嘿 小子 过来 |
[05:38] | Bet you’d lick my shoes for a | 我猜为了获得一个谋杀案件 |
[05:39] | murder case, wouldn’t you, kid? | 你会舔我的鞋子 对吧小子? |
[05:40] | I would, sir. | 我会的 先生 |
[05:42] | Because I like you, you won’t have to lick them. | 因为我喜欢你,你不必舔它们 |
[05:44] | Just dust them with your sleeve. | 用你的袖子帮我擦擦就可以了 |
[05:46] | Yes, sir. | 是的先生 |
[05:47] | We can’t have a clown waxing | 我们不能聘请一个 |
[05:49] | on about G-8 and world issues. | 老是把八国峰会和国际时事挂在嘴边的小丑 |
[05:50] | For god’s sake, it’s a children’s show. | 看在上帝的份上 那可是给儿童看的演出 |
[05:52] | – Well, when did you fire him? – Friday. | – 你们什么时候解雇他的? – 周五 |
[05:54] | He filed for the TRO yesterday. | 他昨天向法院申请临时限制令 |
[05:55] | Look, this could be a public relations nightmare. | 这会对我们公司的形象造成很大的影响 |
[05:58] | He’s the only Zozo the station’s ever had. | 他可是那个独一无二的Zozo |
[06:02] | May I help you ladies? | 女士们 有什么事吗? |
[06:04] | We’re here for the assistant’s position. | 我们是来应征助手的 |
[06:11] | Congratulations. You’re hired. | 恭喜你 你被聘用了 |
[06:13] | Thank you all. | 谢谢各位前来 |
[06:15] | Let’s go inside. | 我们进去说 |
[06:16] | Alan, you can’t just do that. | Alan 你不能这么做 |
[06:17] | You have to at least interview. | 你起码要进行面试 |
[06:18] | Why? I have a very strong feeling about this one. | 为什么? 我觉得这位非常适合 |
[06:22] | Can you type? | 你会打字吗? |
[06:24] | – Some. – See? | – 还好吧 – 对吧? |
[06:28] | What happened to Shirley? | Shirley呢? |
[06:30] | Shirley likes to assign cases to the hot hand and, | Shirley 想让最红的律师接手这个案子 |
[06:32] | right now I’m hot. | 而现在我最红 |
[06:34] | I’ve known her since we were kids. | 我和她算是青梅竹马了 |
[06:36] | I mean, she knows me. That’s, that’s why… | 我是说 她了解我 这就是为什么… |
[06:38] | Which is exactly why you | 这正是你应该找其他人 |
[06:40] | should be with someone else. | 接这个案子的原因 |
[06:42] | Shirley could be too close | Shirley 和你太熟了 |
[06:45] | to see things objectively. | 会影响到她的判断力 |
[06:49] | It’s Bumpy, isn’t it? | 是因为Bumpy 对吧? |
[06:53] | I had such a crush on that cow. | 我也非常喜欢那头牛 |
[06:56] | That doesn’t make me gay. | 但那不意味着我是同性恋 |
[06:58] | Mr. Biddle, have you, um, | Biddle 先生你是否 呃 |
[07:01] | – Gotten counseling for this? – Yes. | – 接受过心理辅导? – 是的 |
[07:03] | Yes. I’m working on it. | 我有 我正在接受辅导 |
[07:06] | Look, Jeanie married me for better or worse, right? | 关于那个Jeanie 嫁给我到底对不对 是吧? |
[07:09] | And for 20-plus years, it’s been a great marriage. | 而20多年来 事实证明这是个美好的婚姻 |
[07:12] | I still love her. | 我仍爱着她 |
[07:15] | I don’t want to lose her. | 我不想要失去她 |
[07:25] | Defense enters a plea of not guilty, your honor. | 被告提出无罪的答辩 法官阁下 |
[07:27] | At this time, we would like to | 而现在 我们申请 |
[07:28] | be heard on bail. This matter… | 获得假释… |
[07:29] | Hold on just a second. Where’s Denny Crane? | 等一下 Denny Crane去哪了? |
[07:32] | I’m an attorney from Crane, Poole & Schmidt, sir. | 我代表Crane, Poole & Schmidt 事务所接受此案 阁下 |
[07:34] | I’m appearing… I didn’t assign | 我好像没有把这个案子 |
[07:36] | this case to Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 分派给Crane, Poole & Schmidt事务所 |
[07:38] | I assigned it to Denny | 我把它分派给Denny Crane |
[07:39] | Crane, counselor. Where is he? | 他在哪? |
[07:41] | He’s back at the firm, sir. | 他回事务所了 阁下 |
[07:43] | I asked him to do a little research. | 我请他做一些调查 |
[07:46] | Are you making a joke in my | 你在我的法庭上 |
[07:47] | courtroom, counsel? No, sir. | – 开玩笑吗 律师? – 不是的 阁下 |
[07:49] | Step up here, counsel. | 过来 律师 |
[07:54] | Have you ever tried a case before, counsel? | 你之前有接过案子吗 律师? |
[07:56] | I won my moot court competition at Suffolk, sir. | 我曾经赢得过萨克福大学的模拟法庭辩论赛 阁下 |
[08:01] | Turn around. | 转过身去 |
[08:03] | What are you going to do? | 你要做什么? |
[08:04] | I asked you to turn around. | 我叫你转过身去 |
[08:06] | I see members of the media here. | 我看见在场有许多媒体 |
[08:08] | Some of you have video cameras. | 你们当中有些人带来了摄像机 |
[08:09] | I invite you to point them this way. | 请把镜头对准这边 |
[08:12] | We like to think that all are | 我们都认为 |
[08:14] | entitled to a fair trial in this country, | 我们国家的所有人都有权利得到公平的审判 |
[08:17] | that we have an advocacy system about truth. | 我们自以为我们拥有公平正义的司法系统 |
[08:19] | But the real truth, the ugly one, | 但是真相 丑陋的真相是 |
[08:21] | is that the indigent get anything but fairness. | 穷人通常都得不到公平 |
[08:25] | On this side, we have a district attorney | 一方面 我们的原告 |
[08:28] | with 50 homicide trials under his belt, | 地区检察官手头堆积着50个谋杀案子 |
[08:31] | and here, representing the accused, | 而另一方面 为被告辩护的 |
[08:33] | we have a boy who won his moot | 却是一个只赢过法学院模拟法庭辩论赛的 |
[08:36] | court competition in law school. | 乳臭未干的小鬼 |
[08:38] | This is how it is, people. | 这就是现实 大家看 |
[08:40] | The poor get the lawyers who | 穷人只能获得一个没有任何 |
[08:42] | can’t get real clients of their own. | 实战经验的新手律师为他们辩护 |
[08:43] | We have a system where the state | 我们的制度导致了在这种情况下 |
[08:45] | matches the best and the brightest | 我们总是用最好的最聪明的律师 |
[08:46] | against defense attorneys coming out of | 作为原告对着毫无经验 |
[08:49] | a pool of inexperience and incompetence. | 缺乏能力的被告律师 |
[08:51] | It is an insult to our notion of democracy. | 这是对我们国家民主的侮辱 |
[08:53] | It makes a mockery of criminal justice. | 这是对司法系统的嘲笑 |
[08:55] | I will not indulge a mockery in my courtroom. | 我决不允许这种事在我的庭上发生 |
[08:58] | Turn around, counsel. | 转过来 律师 |
[09:00] | Put one arm behind your back, as if it were tied. | 把你的一只手放在身后 就像被绑住一样 |
[09:04] | Now stand on one leg | 然后用一条腿站立 |
[09:06] | as if your client barely has a leg | 就像你的委托人只有一条腿一样 |
[09:11] | to stand on with you as his counsel. | 现在你就这样跳回去 |
[09:13] | Now you hop on out of here. | 告诉Denny Crane 如果他 |
[09:14] | Tell Denny Crane if he doesn’t show up to represent his client, | 不亲自为他的委托人辩护 |
[09:16] | he will be jailed. | 他就要去坐牢 |
[09:19] | Hop, now! | 现在就去! |
[09:36] | Clown goes up first. Why don’t you take him? | 小丑先开始陈述 不如你来对付他吧? |
[09:41] | Do you have a real name on this guy? | 他有名字吗? |
[09:43] | Yeah, Robert Berrin, but | 当然 Robert Berrin |
[09:44] | he’s been Zozo for 13 years. | 但是他已经扮演Zozo 13年了 |
[09:46] | I figure I’ll take our client on direct. | 我想我就直接负责我们的委托人好了 |
[09:48] | This is at-will employment? | 他们之间是任意雇佣关系吗? |
[09:50] | Yes, but the discharge has to be in good faith. | 是的 但是解雇必须要有恰当理由 |
[09:53] | He was up for a big contract bump. So | 他签了一个比较大的合同 所以 |
[09:55] | my bet is they’re gonna argue pretext. | 我想这会成为他们的借口 |
[09:57] | Excuse me. | 打扰一下 |
[09:59] | Could I steal Alan for one second? | 我能和Alan 说几句话吗? |
[10:01] | We’re in a meeting, Melissa. | 我们正在开会Melissa |
[10:03] | Oh. Yeah. It’s, it’s just… | 噢 我知道 只是… |
[10:05] | I started thinking. I think the | 我刚才在想 |
[10:07] | high of getting the job kind of… | 我想是得到这份工作让我有点兴奋… |
[10:09] | It just hit me. Um, the | 你聘请人员的标准 |
[10:11] | criterion on which I was hired, | 让我有点想法 |
[10:13] | and now that I am hired, I just | 既然现在我被雇用了 |
[10:14] | thought that I should be clear. | 我只是在想我应该明确一下 |
[10:16] | I will not be objectified. | 我不想被当作是一个花瓶 |
[10:18] | I will not be ogled. If I am, I write you up. | 我不接受调戏 要不我会投诉你 |
[10:20] | And no touching, no double | 不要身体接触 不能说黄色笑话 |
[10:22] | entendres, no comments on what I’m wearing. | 不要评论我的衣着 |
[10:24] | If I get any of that, I write you up. | 要不然 我就投诉你 |
[10:26] | I’m your assistant, not your | 我是你的助手 |
[10:28] | subordinate. You cross that line, I… | 不是你的性奴 你越线的话 我… |
[10:29] | I write you up. | 我就投诉你 |
[10:31] | Follow the rules, we should get along fine. | 如果大家都遵守这些 我们会相处的很愉快的 |
[10:36] | That’s all. | 我说完了 |
[10:40] | I told you to interview. | 我告诉过你要面试的 |
[10:49] | I will not indulge a mockery in my courtroom. | 我决不允许这种事在我的庭上发生 |
[10:52] | Turn around, counsel. | 转过来 律师 |
[10:54] | Now stand on one leg, | 把你的一只手放在身后 就像被绑住一样 |
[10:55] | as if your client barely has a leg | 然后用一条腿站立 |
[10:57] | to stand on with you as his counsel. | 就像你的委托人只有一条腿一样 |
[10:59] | Now you hop on out of here. | 现在你就这样跳回去 |
[11:01] | Tell Denny Crane if he doesn’t | 告诉Denny Crane 如果他 |
[11:03] | show up to represent his client, | 不亲自为他的委托人辩护 |
[11:04] | he will be jailed. | 他就要去坐牢 |
[11:06] | Hop, now! | 现在就去! |
[11:07] | That was the scene at the courthouse this morning. | 这是今天早上在法庭里发生的一幕 |
[11:09] | Channel 8 own legal analyst Mike | 8 频道的法律分析员Mike Turfer |
[11:11] | Turfer said he’s never seen anything… | 说他从来没有见过… |
[11:13] | A judge says to hop, you do it? | 法官说跳 你就跳? |
[11:15] | All right, Denny, you | 好了 Denny |
[11:16] | obviously need to take over this case. | 你很明显现在必须接这个案子 |
[11:18] | We can send Alan in as backup. | 我们可以让 Alan 当你的副手 |
[11:20] | – Denny… – I don’t need backup. | – 我不需要副手 – Denny… |
[11:21] | I can handle this case. I can handle this judge. | 我可以搞定这个案子 我也可以搞定这个法官 |
[11:26] | A homicide, right? | 谋杀案而已 对吧? |
[11:28] | Homicide and rape. | 谋杀和强奸 |
[11:41] | Mister Rogers, Sesame street, | 罗杰斯先生 芝麻街 |
[11:43] | Thomas the tank engine, the | 托马斯火车头 |
[11:45] | magic school bus, oh, you name it. | 神奇校车 噢 这些耳熟能详的名字 (上述均为儿童节目) |
[11:47] | All the top children’s entertainers are educators. | 最好的儿童娱乐节目都是带有教育性的 |
[11:50] | He never said he’d be in costume. | 他从来没有说过他会穿成这样 |
[11:52] | Always in public. | 他总是在公众场合这样穿 |
[11:53] | But, Mr. Berrin, why global warming? | 但是 Berrin先生 为什么要提到全球变暖? |
[11:55] | Mainly because it’s possibly the | 主要是由于这可能是 |
[11:57] | number one threat to this planet, | 对我们地球最大的威胁 |
[11:59] | and our country’s doing almost nothing. | 而我们的国家却对其无所作为 |
[12:01] | Can you do the cross? | 你能做交叉询问吗? |
[12:02] | Uh, even so, uh, | 呃 尽管如此 |
[12:05] | none of this seems funny, and you’re a clown. | 可是这不好笑 而你是个负责搞笑的小丑 |
[12:09] | Global warming could result in a rising sea level | 全球气候变暖可能导致海平面上升 |
[12:11] | that could make a huge part | 这会导致地球的 |
[12:13] | of the world uninhabitable. | 大部分地方都不适合人类居住 |
[12:15] | We as Americans have a responsibility. | 作为美国人 我们必须承担义务 |
[12:18] | The U.S. makes up 4% of the world’s population, | 美国拥有着世界4%的人口 |
[12:21] | but we produce 25% of the carbon dioxide pollution, | 但是我们制造了 |
[12:22] | most of any country. | 世界上25%的二氧化碳 |
[12:26] | The United states is the | 美国已经成为 |
[12:28] | leading cause of global warming. | 导致全球变暖的主要因素 |
[12:29] | We need to take a leading | 因此我们必须承担起 |
[12:31] | role in finding the solution. | 解决这个问题的领导责任 |
[12:42] | Let’s go. You’re up. | 去吧 该你了 |
[12:46] | You go. | 你去 |
[12:48] | What? | 什么? |
[12:50] | No questions, your honor. | 我们没有问题要问 法官阁下 |
[12:54] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[12:55] | If you want to cross-examine him, Brad, you do it. | 如果你想盘诘他 你去 |
[12:59] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? |
[13:00] | Nobody ever said he’d be in costume. | 没人告诉我他穿成这样 |
[13:08] | I’m afraid of clowns. | 我害怕小丑 |
[13:15] | How can anybody be afraid of a clown? | 怎么会有人害怕小丑? |
[13:17] | Keep your voice down. | 小声点 |
[13:18] | Now his testimony goes uncontested. | 现在他的证词占了上风 |
[13:20] | – You could have crossed. – I didn’t prep a cross. | – 你应该盘诘的他的 – 我没有准备这部分 |
[13:22] | – What’s going on? – He’s afraid of clowns. | – 怎么啦? – 他害怕小丑 |
[13:23] | I am not. | 才不是 |
[13:25] | It was strategy. | 这是一个策略 |
[13:28] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[13:33] | Any calls? | 有电话找我吗? |
[13:35] | Not really. | 没有 |
[13:36] | Afraid of clowns, huh? | 害怕小丑 嗯? |
[13:44] | You cannot enter a plea of guilty. | 你不能够就此认罪 |
[13:47] | Why not? | 为什么不行? |
[13:48] | It is your intent, sir, to | 承认这些指控 |
[13:50] | plead guilty to these crimes? | 是你的意愿吗 先生? |
[13:51] | Um, no, sir. | 不是的 阁下 |
[13:53] | You’re not gonna take his word for it, are you? | 你不会把他的话当真吧? |
[13:55] | Come on, judge. | 别这样 法官阁下 |
[13:56] | If he’d murder, he’d lie. | 如果是他做的 他当然会说不是 |
[13:58] | Step up here, Mr. Crane. | 过来Crane先生 |
[14:00] | Yes. | 好吧 |
[14:07] | You can stop trying to get | 别指望可以从 |
[14:08] | yourself off the case, counsel. | 这个案子脱身了 律师 |
[14:09] | That isn’t going to happen. | 我不会让你得逞的 |
[14:10] | Look, judge, I can’t defend a man | 法官阁下 我不能够为一个 |
[14:13] | who raped and murdered a 13-year-old girl. | 强奸并杀害了13岁女孩的人辩护 |
[14:16] | – Somebody’s got to do it. – Why me? | – 必须有人帮他辩护 – 为什么选我? |
[14:17] | Because I said so. | 因为我要选你 |
[14:19] | Which brings me to my second issue. | 好吧 那我只能想其他办法了 |
[14:22] | Which is | 是什么 |
[14:23] | You’re a douche bag. I | 你这个傻逼 |
[14:25] | don’t do well with douche bags. | 我不喜欢和傻逼共事 |
[14:28] | That won’t work either. | 我不吃这套 |
[14:30] | You will try this case. | 你要接这个案子 |
[14:31] | All you will accomplish | 你要把它打完 |
[14:33] | with this unfettered insolence | 而且由于你的言行 |
[14:34] | is a jail sentence for | 在案件完结后 |
[14:36] | contempt after you’ve tried this case. | 我要以藐视法庭罪判你监禁 |
[14:39] | Do I make myself clear, Mr. Crane? | 听清楚了吗Crane先生? |
[14:52] | I can understand that she’s horrified, | 我可以理解她的心情 |
[14:54] | but to annul the marriage? | 但是要撤销整个婚姻? |
[14:56] | Your honor, it is so aberrant. | 阁下 这段婚姻很异常 |
[14:58] | It is such an abomination. It is so abhorrent. | 这个婚姻是那么的恶心 那么的令人反感 |
[15:01] | And she’s just on the “A” words. | 她就只会说这些陈词滥调 |
[15:03] | Let’s go to “B” then. | 那说点惊世骇俗的吧 |
[15:05] | Bestiality… Is not, ever | – 兽交… – 从来就 |
[15:07] | has been grounds for annulment. | 不能作为撤销婚姻的理由 |
[15:09] | Mrs. Biddle, why erase the whole marriage? | Biddle 女士 你为什么要抹去整个婚姻的存在? |
[15:16] | Because it was never real. | 因为它从来就不是真实的 |
[15:19] | He was always in love with her. | 他爱的只是它 |
[15:22] | The cow. | 那头牛 |
[15:23] | Over the last ten years or so, | 过去的十年间 |
[15:25] | sometimes when we’d been | 我们有时候会做下那事 |
[15:28] | together, which was never a lot, | 虽然仅有几次 |
[15:31] | he’d call out her name, Wendy. | 但是他总是在叫着它的名字 Wendy |
[15:34] | And before her, there was another cow. | 而且在它之前 还有另外一头牛 |
[15:38] | Another cow? | 另…一头? |
[15:40] | Queenie | Queenie. |
[15:42] | I never caught them, | 虽然我从来没有抓到他的马脚 |
[15:43] | but I saw the way he looked at her, | 但是他看它的那种表情… |
[15:46] | and he would call out her name, too, | 而且他也会在床上叫它的名字 |
[15:48] | and then try to cover by saying I was his queen. | 然后掩饰说我是他的女皇 (queenie 与女皇一词相近) |
[15:53] | This marriage is not real. | 这场婚姻是不真实的 |
[15:57] | And it hurts. | 而且很伤人 |
[16:03] | Mr. Biddle, I need to hear from you. | Biddle 我想听你的解释 |
[16:08] | – Why? – Because I do. | – 为什么? – 因为我想听 |
[16:11] | It’s shocking. | 真令人震惊 |
[16:12] | Tomorrow you will sit in that witness chair | 明天你要坐上证人席 |
[16:15] | and tell me why I shouldn’t | 告诉我为什么我不能 |
[16:18] | annul this union you’ve so disgraced. | 撤销这场被你如此侮辱的婚姻 |
[16:27] | See, if you request another lawyer, the judge… | 听着 如果你要求换一个律师 法官… |
[16:30] | I ain’t requesting nothing. | 我不准备换 |
[16:33] | You have to. We don’t get along. | 你必须换 我们合不来 |
[16:35] | I like you just fine. | 我觉得你很好 |
[16:37] | You’re a big lawyer with big suck. | 你是一个出名的大律师 |
[16:39] | You’re just what I need. | 你正是我需要的 |
[16:41] | Look, I can’t bring myself to defend | 听着 我不能为一个 |
[16:43] | a man who killed a 13-year-old girl. | 杀死13岁女孩的人辩护 |
[16:45] | Oh, come on, man. | 别这样 伙计 |
[16:48] | Probably did her a favor. | 我是在帮她呢 |
[16:52] | – What did you say? – I got AIDS, Denny Crane. | – 你说什么? – 我得了爱滋 Denny Crane |
[16:54] | She could have had a lot of suffering | 我强奸了她 |
[16:56] | ahead because I really went to town. | 她可能会在往后受到更多折磨 |
[16:58] | You know what I mean? | 你知道我指什么吧? |
[17:00] | She’s probably lucky I ended it quick. | 她也许会庆幸我提早结束了她的痛苦 |
[17:05] | Well, if you really have AIDS, | 好吧 如果你真的得了爱滋 |
[17:07] | there could be other psychological | 那么我们可以借你有心理问题 |
[17:09] | defenses available to us. Yeah. | – 来进行辩护 – 没错 |
[17:11] | Like traumatic distress, insanity, perhaps. | 像是受到外界的伤害 精神错乱之类的 |
[17:15] | On the other hand… | 另一方面… |
[17:16] | What the… | 你想… |
[17:17] | It was an accident. | 这是意外 |
[17:19] | Oops! | 噢! |
[17:20] | Freeze! Drop it! | 不许动! 扔掉枪! |
[17:21] | He came at me. I feared for my life. | 他向我冲来 我的生命受到威胁 |
[17:26] | He should probably get new counsel. | 他应该换一个新律师了 |
[18:04] | When’s the arraignment? | 什么时候进行传讯? |
[18:06] | Paul’s trying to head it off. | Paul 正在试图取消它 |
[18:17] | Denny, for god’s sake. | Denny 看在上帝的份上 |
[18:19] | You know, Alan… | 你知道 Alan… |
[18:23] | I’m old. | 我老了 |
[18:26] | And I’m not going to spend what time I have left, | 所以我不会把我剩下的时间 就算是一天也好 |
[18:31] | not even a day, defending child rapist killers. | 浪费在一个强奸杀人犯身上 |
[18:37] | I’d rather go to jail myself. | 我宁愿坐牢 |
[18:42] | I hear you’re afraid of clowns. | 我听说你害怕小丑 |
[18:48] | First time in my | 我第一次在我的职业生涯里 |
[18:50] | professional career I actually froze. | 感到不知所措 |
[18:53] | What happened? | 以前发生了什么事? |
[18:58] | When I was 3 years old, my | 我3岁的时候 |
[19:00] | mother put some decorative, | 我母亲在我房间里 |
[19:04] | hideous clown face in my room. | 摆放了一些可怕的小丑面具 |
[19:07] | It so terrified me. | 把我吓坏了 |
[19:10] | I’d wet my bed, | 我尿床了 |
[19:12] | too afraid to pass him on my way to the bathroom. | 因为我不敢从它身边经过去上厕所 |
[19:17] | When I was 8, | 当我8岁的时候 |
[19:18] | I was again terrorized by a clown | 我再次被一场游行中的 |
[19:22] | at a parade, the very same face. | 长着相同的脸的小丑吓到了 |
[19:27] | I wet myself right there in the street. | 我当场在街上尿裤子了 |
[19:30] | And today… | 今天… |
[19:32] | the same face again. | 又是同一张脸 |
[19:35] | I didn’t dare get up for fear I’d… | 我甚至不敢起身 我怕我会… |
[19:39] | leave a puddle right in the courtroom. | 当场在法院里失禁 |
[19:44] | You do have issues, don’t you? | 你滴了几滴出来 是不是? |
[19:49] | Denny, this is serious. | Denny 说正经的 |
[19:52] | You could be looking at real jail time. | 你可能真的会被判入狱 |
[20:06] | Dwight, have you sought professional help? | Dwight 你有没寻求过专业的心理辅导? |
[20:08] | Yes. | 有 |
[20:10] | My therapist, he said the genesis of my infatuation | 我的医生说 我这糊涂事可能源自 |
[20:14] | could have the unconditional | 我从中得到的 |
[20:17] | adoration and acceptance I get from… | 自信和肯定… |
[20:20] | Wendy. | 从Wendy那 |
[20:21] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:22] | And didn’t your therapist also tell you | 那么你的医生有没和你说 |
[20:24] | your love for your wife Jeanie is in play here? | 你对你妻子的爱只是逢场作戏? |
[20:28] | Yes. | 有 |
[20:29] | Could you elaborate? | 你能解释一下吗? |
[20:32] | Well, Jeanie looks a little like a cow. | 那个…Jeanie长得有点像牛 |
[20:37] | You see? | 你看 |
[20:38] | I fell in love with Wendy | 我爱上Wendy |
[20:40] | because she reminded me of you. | 只是因为它让我想起了你 |
[20:49] | I won’t insult you, Scott, | 我本不想打搅你的 Scott |
[20:51] | by condoning Denny’s actions. | Denny 的确动了手 |
[20:53] | – Self-defense. – But a district attorney, | – 正当防卫 – 但是作为一个社区检察官 |
[20:56] | and I know you know this because I taught you, | 你应该知道 因为是我教你的 |
[20:58] | a district attorney should not bring a case | 如果一个检察官缺乏 |
[21:00] | when he lacks a good faith | 足够的证据定罪 |
[21:02] | belief of conviction. Hero. | – 他就不应该提出诉讼 – 英雄 |
[21:03] | Even if you could refute self-defense. | 即使你可以驳倒正当防卫的证词 |
[21:06] | Can’t. | 不能 |
[21:06] | No jury is going to convict him of wounding a man | 没有法官会因为他伤害一个强奸 |
[21:09] | who raped and strangled a 13-year-old girl. | 并且杀害13岁少女的犯人而判他有罪 |
[21:12] | What message are you asking me to send, Paul? | 你想我怎么做 Paul? |
[21:15] | If a crime is popular enough, don’t prosecute? | 因为犯人罪有应得 我就任其由之? |
[21:17] | You haven’t got evidence. | 你没有确凿的证据 |
[21:19] | It’s Denny’s word against the | 只有Denny和那个凶手 |
[21:21] | child rapist’s. Feared for my life. | – 两个人在场 – 我的生命受到威胁 |
[21:23] | And since you broached the topic of popularity… | 而且你会因此处于舆论的焦点当中… |
[21:27] | you want to make attorney general, Scott. | 我知道你想成为总检察官 Scott |
[21:30] | One needs public support to accomplish that. | 这需要得到公众的支持 |
[21:33] | How popular do you think you’ll | 如果你为此起诉 Denny Crane |
[21:35] | be if you prosecute Denny Crane? | 你认为这会对你的声望造成什么影响? |
[21:38] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[21:42] | It’s a children’s show, for god’s sake. | 这是给孩子们看的表演 看在上帝的份上 |
[21:45] | He’s a clown, and he’s waxing | 他只是一个小丑 但是他不停地 |
[21:47] | on about the end of the world. | 提及世界末日 |
[21:49] | Did you talk to him? | 你和他谈过吗? |
[21:50] | Over and over and over. | 一而再 再而三 |
[21:52] | He said he had a social responsibility. | 他说他是个有着社会责任感的人 |
[21:55] | My god, we had viewers clicking | 我的天 简直就像我们的观众期待着 |
[21:57] | over to Aaron Brown for a laugh. | Aaron Brown能够逗他们发笑一样 (Aaron Brown 是CNN的著名新闻主持人) |
[22:00] | Our show became preachy, unfunny. | 我们的表演变得不好笑了 像说教一样 |
[22:01] | Ratings started to reflect it, | 我们的收视率节节下滑 |
[22:03] | and we simply had to get a new clown. | 因此我们必须找个新的小丑 |
[22:06] | Zozo talked about 9/11? | Zozo 曾经谈及911事件? |
[22:08] | Yes, to help children cope. | 是的 帮助孩子们克服恐惧 |
[22:10] | The Columbine shootings? | 哥伦比亚大学枪杀案? |
[22:11] | Many times he discussed tragic current events. | 他曾多次提及目前发生的各种惨案 |
[22:14] | So you’re firing him for | 你因他不理会你的反对 |
[22:16] | discussing serious subject matter, | 坚持谈论严肃话题 |
[22:18] | when he’s done so in the past with your approval? | 而要解雇他? |
[22:20] | There is a line. | 凡事都有底线 |
[22:21] | Telling our viewers the planet is | 告诉我们的观众地球就要毁灭 |
[22:23] | about to become extinct crosses it. | 这种话题越过了这条线 |
[22:25] | After he told the kids to ask | 因为他要求孩子们 |
[22:27] | their parents about hybrid cars, | 向他们的父母推荐混合动力车 |
[22:29] | that’s when he got fired, wasn’t it? | 然后他就被解雇了 是吗? |
[22:30] | This has nothing to do with hybrid… | 这和混合动力车没有关系… |
[22:32] | WKNW is owned by an oil and gas company. | WKNW 电视台为一家石油天然气公司所拥有 |
[22:35] | Nothing to do with our | 这和我们的母公司没有关系 |
[22:37] | parent company. He wasn’t funny. | 他只是不够好笑 |
[22:39] | We needed a funny clown. | 而我们需要一个好笑的小丑 |
[22:55] | How’s it going? | 进展如何? |
[22:57] | I’m sitting here trying to come up | 我坐在这里尝试做一个 |
[22:59] | with a closing to defend bestiality. | 结案陈词来为兽交辩护 |
[23:01] | That’s how it’s going. | 就这样 |
[23:02] | You don’t have to defend it so much as… | 你不必在这方面过多的辩护… |
[23:06] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[23:07] | Research. | 研究报告 |
[23:09] | Do you realize that studies show | 你知不知道研究表明 |
[23:11] | 10 to 30% of sexually active adults | 10到30%处于性活跃期的成年人 |
[23:14] | have fantasized or had some | 曾经有过和动物发生关系 |
[23:17] | form of encounter with an animal? | 的性幻想? |
[23:20] | Denise, I… | Denise 我… |
[23:24] | Are we ready? | 准备好了吗? |
[23:26] | All set. | 好了 |
[23:29] | You don’t have to treat me like a leper, Shirley. | 你不要把我当成神经病 Shirley |
[23:31] | I don’t have a disease. | 我没有病 |
[23:33] | Dwight, you’re my friend, | Dwight 你是我的朋友 |
[23:35] | and I will try to stand by you through this but, | 我会支持你熬过这场官司 但是 |
[23:39] | let’s not pretend you don’t have a serious illness. | 不要装作你没毛病 |
[23:42] | There are worse things than loving an animal. | 比爱上动物更糟的事情多了去了 |
[23:44] | Really? Name three. | 真的? 举三个例子看看 |
[23:47] | You know, I was never gonna tell you this. | 你要知道 我本来不打算告诉你这个的 |
[23:49] | When you were 13, and your parents sent Bumpy away, | 当你13岁的时候 你的父母把Bumpy送走了 |
[23:53] | it wasn’t to some greener pasture | 那可不是送去草原上 |
[23:55] | where he’d be happier like they told you. | 当然他们是这样对你说的 |
[23:57] | Bumpy went to a slaughterhouse. | Bumpy其实被送去了屠宰场 |
[24:00] | And then he returned to your freezer. | 然后回到了你家的冰箱 |
[24:03] | You ate him, Shirley. | 你吃了它 Shirley |
[24:05] | So don’t get so high and mighty with me. | 所以 不要这样对我 |
[24:07] | You ate your precious Bumpy! | 你吃掉了你最喜欢的Bumpy! |
[24:21] | Why should I have to close? | 为什么要我做结案陈词? |
[24:23] | Why should I have done everything else? | 为什么要所有东西都要我一个人做? |
[24:25] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[24:26] | You’ve got a connection going that… | 因为你有我所没有的… |
[24:30] | I lack. | 能力 |
[24:32] | Why are you afraid of clowns? Really. | 你为什么那么怕小丑? 说真的 |
[24:37] | Because… | 因为… |
[24:39] | they’re evil. | 他们是魔鬼 |
[24:41] | And it simply isn’t right | 而且家长们不应该 |
[24:44] | for parents to tell their children to just… | 让他们的孩子… |
[24:50] | trust them so. | 相信这一点 |
[24:54] | Did a clown ever… do anything to you? | 是不是曾经有小丑对你做过什么…? |
[24:58] | No! | 当然不是! |
[25:01] | They’re just… | 他们只是… |
[25:03] | evil. | 魔鬼 |
[25:04] | Alan… | Alan… |
[25:06] | you need to close. | 你必须做结案陈词 |
[25:08] | First, you have a better grip on | 首先你 |
[25:10] | this whole global warming issue, | 对全球变暖这个主题比较熟悉 |
[25:12] | which I tend to dismiss as… | 而我对这方面… |
[25:13] | Fuzzy math. | 一窍不通 |
[25:15] | And second, | 其次 |
[25:17] | at some point, every man, | 某种意义上说 每个人 |
[25:19] | even the half-evolved kind, | 就算是小孩子 |
[25:21] | needs to confront his fears. | 也必须学会面对自己内心的恐惧 |
[25:23] | You need to stand up and deliver this closing. | 你必须站起来 进行结案陈词 |
[25:28] | Will the clown be there? | 那个小丑会在那儿吗? |
[25:46] | Animal rights activists are obviously very upset, | 动物保护主义者明显很愤怒 |
[25:48] | though it should be noted there is no | 虽然没有证据表明 |
[25:51] | evidence that the cow ever complained. | 那头牛有过任何抱怨 |
[25:53] | Your client’s behavior doesn’t shock you, counsel? | 你委托人的行为没有让你感到很吃惊吗 律师? |
[25:56] | Of course it does. But sex with animals? | 当然有 但是和动物发生性关系? |
[26:00] | It’s hardly a new concept. | 那已经不是什么新闻了 |
[26:02] | Greek literature is full of it. So is art. | 古希腊的文学已经提到了它 而且作为艺术 |
[26:05] | Chagall. Picasso. | 夏卡尔 毕加索 |
[26:07] | Rembrandt. They’ve all depicted it. | 伦布兰特 这些画家都曾画过这个主题 |
[26:09] | To this day, men still dream of mermaids. | 迄今为止 人们还在希望遇见美人鱼 |
[26:12] | And what woman hasn’t had a friend with a half-man, | 而且哪个女人没有幻想过 |
[26:16] | half-bull fantasy? | 拥有一个有着野兽般体魄的朋友? |
[26:18] | Your honor, I need you to listen. | 法官阁下 我要求您倾听我的话 |
[26:21] | Look, if you intend to romanticize the idea… | 如果是试图将这个事情浪漫化… |
[26:24] | Shakespeare already did that | 莎士比亚已经在《仲夏夜之梦》里写过了 (仲夏夜之梦为莎士比亚著名喜剧) |
[26:27] | in “A midsummer night’s dream.” | 叶芝也在他著名的诗歌《丽达与天鹅》里提过 (叶芝为爱尔兰诗人1923年的诺贝尔文学奖获得者) |
[26:31] | So did yeats in his famous poem “Leda and the swan.” | “这受惊而茫然的手指” |
[26:35] | “How can these “push the feathered glory terrified, vague fingers” from her loosened thighs?” | “又怎能推开那侵入微张的双腿间的白羽的荣耀?” |
[26:40] | Lord, love a duck! | 天啊 爱上一只鸭子! |
[26:41] | So did Leda. | Leda的确爱上了它 |
[26:43] | And who can forget King Kong and Fay Wray? | 还有我们耳熟能详的金刚和Fay Wray |
[26:45] | And where did Stuart Little come from? | 还有 “精灵鼠小弟” 呢? |
[26:47] | Sex with a cow is outrageous. | 和一头牛发生性关系是不可容忍的 |
[26:51] | It’s gross. | 是令人厌恶的 |
[26:52] | And it’s every bit as | 而且令人震惊 |
[26:54] | shocking as the plaintiff contends, | 如同原告所说的一样 |
[26:55] | but it is not grounds for annulment. | 但是不是撤销婚姻的依据 |
[26:58] | And if you suddenly declare that it is, watch out. | 如果你因此宣布撤销婚姻 看着吧 |
[27:00] | Because there very well | 那将会有更多的 |
[27:02] | may be more of this out there | 更加超出我们想象的 |
[27:03] | than any of us want to believe. | 此类案子出现 |
[27:07] | He cheated on his wife. | 他对他的妻子不忠 |
[27:10] | She’s entitled to a divorce. | 她有权利要求离婚 |
[27:12] | But bestiality is not, never | 但是 兽交 |
[27:14] | has been grounds for annulment. | 绝对不能成为撤销婚姻的理由 |
[27:17] | By the way, in some states | 话说回来 在某些国家 |
[27:19] | it’s not even expressly outlawed. | 这根本就不是违法行为 |
[27:22] | Of course, she’s humiliated and feeling disgraced. | 当然 她受到侮辱而且感到羞耻 |
[27:28] | But that doesn’t change the fact | 但是这不能改变事实 |
[27:30] | they had a marriage. | 他们有过一段婚姻 |
[27:50] | None of this is to say we | 这并不代表我们相信 |
[27:51] | believe in Mr. Crane’s innocence. | Crane先生是无辜的 |
[27:53] | We don’t. | 我们并不相信 |
[27:54] | But we have to face the reality | 但是我们必须承认 |
[27:56] | we lack a good faith | 我们缺乏足够的证据 |
[27:57] | belief of securing a conviction. | 来起诉他 |
[27:59] | We’re therefore declining to | 因此我们目前 |
[28:00] | make an arrest at this time. | 并不能够逮捕他 |
[28:02] | Personally, I am disgusted by his conduct, | 个人而言 我对他的行为表示愤概 |
[28:05] | and I will report his actions | 而我将会向律师业监管委员会 |
[28:07] | to the board of bar overseers. | 反映他的所作所为 |
[28:09] | The putz. | 这个傻逼 |
[28:12] | – You ought to be happy. – I’m not happy. | – 你应该感到高兴 – 才不呢 |
[28:14] | He insulted me on live television. | 他竟敢在电视上侮辱我 |
[28:16] | You dodged a bullet, Denny. | 你避过了一场刑罚 Denny |
[28:17] | And took one right in the ass. The putz! | 可是他在我背后放冷箭 这个傻逼! |
[28:22] | He had incorporated many | 他过去多次在他的节目中 |
[28:23] | serious subjects into his programs, | 加入严肃的主题 |
[28:25] | all with the station’s approval. | 而电视台都同意他这么做 |
[28:27] | But when he moved on to global | 但是当他谈论到 |
[28:30] | warming, carbon dioxide pollution, | 全球变暖 二氧化碳污染 |
[28:32] | he suddenly had to be stopped? | 他就突然间被禁止了? |
[28:34] | Because he was suddenly less funny? | 因为他突然间不好笑了? |
[28:37] | No. | 不是的 |
[28:38] | Because the station was owned by Globoco oil. | 因为这间电视台属于Globoco 石油公司所有 |
[28:42] | This discharge was wrongful. It was in bad faith. | 这次解雇是不正当的 是不守信的 |
[28:46] | My client has built this company’s | 我的委托人为这间公司扮演Zozo |
[28:49] | fortunes for 13 years being Zozo. | 在13年里为他们创造了大量的财富 |
[28:51] | It is his livelihood. | 这已经变成了他的生命 |
[28:53] | He’s perhaps the most popular clown in this country. | 他可能是这个国家里最受欢迎的小丑 |
[28:56] | And this court should issue a TRO | 因此法院应该颁布临时限制令 |
[28:59] | to stop this outrageous travesty of justice. | 来停止这场藐视公平的闹剧 |
[29:28] | I could be wrong, but a | 我也许错了 但是 |
[29:31] | clown’s main job is to be funny. | 小丑的主要任务就是使人发笑 |
[29:34] | Global warming is not. | 而全球变暖不好笑 |
[29:36] | Your honor, the Arctic polar ice cap is | 法官阁下 北极冰川面积正以 |
[29:40] | declining at the rate of 9% per decade. | 每10年9% 的速度递减 |
[29:43] | We’re talking about a rising sea level | 我们正在谈论的是 |
[29:46] | that could wipe out huge | 海平面逐年升高 |
[29:48] | pieces of the world’s landmass, | 正在逐步的侵蚀地球的陆地 |
[29:50] | more importantly, us. | 而且与我们密切相关 |
[29:53] | Massachusetts, California, our coastlines. | 麻省 加州 我们的海岸线 |
[29:57] | That simply isn’t funny. | 这一点都不好笑 |
[30:00] | Unless, of course, you live in Nevada. | 当然 除非您住在内华达州 |
[30:02] | Don’t get me wrong. | 打个不恰当地比喻 |
[30:04] | Millions of Americans go to sleep at night | 就好像数以百万计的美国人在每天睡觉前 |
[30:07] | praying that the nation’s number one clown | 都要祈祷我们国家最好的搞笑小丑 |
[30:10] | will finally start caring about global warming. | 也开始担心全球变暖的问题 |
[30:13] | But this is a children’s entertainment show. | 但是这是一个儿童娱乐节目 |
[30:17] | And let me ask you. | 我想问 |
[30:19] | If our own government is allowed to | 如果我们的政府被允许 |
[30:22] | edit and alter scientific findings, | 对科学发现进行编辑和修改 |
[30:24] | if it can control the | 以控制这些信息的蔓延 |
[30:26] | information flow on this subject, | 而引起民众的恐慌 |
[30:28] | why then shouldn’t a private television station | 为什么一家私营电视台 |
[30:32] | get to enjoy that same freedom? | 不能够拥有同样的权力? |
[30:36] | You’re a clown. | 你是一个小丑 |
[30:38] | Be funny. | 你的任务是搞笑 |
[30:43] | Global warming is not. | 全球变暖不好笑 |
[31:20] | In 35 years, Denny, I have | 35年来 Denny |
[31:22] | never forbidden you to do anything. | 我从来没有阻止过你做任何事 |
[31:24] | Don’t start now. | 那现在也别这样做 |
[31:25] | I will call the partners together right now. | 我现在就召集合伙人开会 |
[31:27] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[31:28] | He’s going on… | 他要去… |
[31:30] | “Larry King” “Larry King.” | (CNN脱口秀节目) |
[31:32] | What? Tonight. He’s | – 什么? – 今晚 |
[31:34] | catching the 7 o’clock shuttle. | 他去赶7点钟的通告 |
[31:35] | Denny, you can’t be serious. | Denny 你不会是认真的吧 |
[31:37] | Why does everybody insist I can’t be serious? | 为什么每个人都认为我在开玩笑? |
[31:39] | The district attorney | 地区检察官 |
[31:41] | slathered me on live television. | 电视直播里诽告我 |
[31:44] | I think you mean “slandered.” | 我想你说的是”诽谤” |
[31:45] | – Well, I’ll have the last word | – 随便 我会让他好看的 |
[31:47] | Listen to me. | 听着 |
[31:48] | They could still bring charges, | 他们仍然可能起诉你的 |
[31:51] | if you say something to incriminate yourself. | 如果你在电视上说错话的话 |
[31:53] | Give me some credit, will you, Paul? | 对我有点信心 Paul |
[31:55] | Credit? | 信心? |
[31:56] | You shot out your client’s kneecaps! | 你射穿了你委托人的膝盖! |
[31:59] | The public needs to hear from Denny Crane! | 公众期待着听到Denny Crane的声音! |
[32:02] | TiVo me, will you? | 记得帮我录下来 好吗? |
[32:09] | Please, god, have mercy. | 上帝保佑 |
[32:16] | How could you not stop him? | 你怎么不阻止他? |
[32:18] | We tried to stop him. We | 我们尽力了 |
[32:19] | tried to get you to stop him. | 我们也想让你阻止他 |
[32:21] | Larry King | Larry King. |
[32:22] | Alan, judge is back with a ruling. Let’s go. | Alan 法官要宣读判决了 走吧 |
[32:27] | – Tonight? – Come on. | – 今晚? – 来吧 |
[32:29] | Can’t you go by yourself? | 你自己去不行吗? |
[32:31] | – It’s just a ruling. – You’re doing this. | – 只是判决而已 – 你和我一起去 |
[32:42] | Disgusting. | 真恶心 |
[32:43] | Regrettably, this fetish with animals | 令人遗憾的是这种迷恋动物的 |
[32:46] | may indeed be more | 行为的确比我们想象的 |
[32:48] | prevalent than we’d like to think. | 要普遍 |
[32:49] | And it’s a slippery slope. | 这属于滑坡论 (滑坡论指的是裁决会对日后的其他案件的判决造成影响) |
[32:51] | Many women derive sexual | 正如许多女性会因为骑马而 |
[32:54] | pleasure from riding on a horse. Sick. | 获得性快感一样 恶心 |
[32:57] | But we can’t just go around annulling marriages | 但是我们不能因为一个女人 |
[32:59] | every time Debbie goes for a canter. Gross. | 经常骑马而撤销婚姻关系 真下流 |
[33:05] | I’m afraid your only legal recourse, Mrs. Biddle, | 因此 Biddle夫人 我恐怕你能做的 |
[33:08] | is divorce. | 就是和他离婚而已 |
[33:13] | Sick! | 真肮脏! |
[33:17] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[33:23] | – Congratulations. – Thank you. | – 恭喜你 – 谢谢 |
[33:35] | I may have manifested my love for | 也许我对你表达爱意的方式 |
[33:37] | you in ways that brought you shame, | 让你感到羞耻 |
[33:39] | perhaps revulsion, | 甚至是强烈的反感 |
[33:41] | but I do love you. | 但是我真的爱你 |
[33:42] | And love is hard enough to find, Jeanie, | 但是Jeanie 真爱通常要经过种种考验 |
[33:46] | without attaching a lot of restrictions. | 才能够找到 |
[33:49] | “A lot of restrictions”? | “种种考验”? |
[33:52] | It’s not like I set a lot of ground rules. | 我并没有设下种种障碍来 |
[33:55] | But limiting yourself to a | 限制你只能喜欢 |
[33:58] | single species is one of them, | 所有物种中的一种 |
[34:00] | our species, Dwight. | 我们是人 Dwight |
[34:02] | I broke it off. | 我不会再这样做了 |
[34:04] | I’m gonna get rid of her. | 我会远离它 |
[34:05] | I think I’d like to sell the whole farm, | 我想把整个农场卖掉 |
[34:08] | move to the city, outside of all temptation. | 搬到城市里住 远离它们 |
[34:11] | You broke it off? | 你不再做这种事了? |
[34:13] | Yes. | 是的 |
[34:15] | You’re never going to see her again? | 你绝不再见它? |
[34:18] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[34:42] | Welcome back to “Larry King live.” | 欢迎回到”Larry King现场” |
[34:45] | And with me now is Denny Crane, the | 和我在一起的是Denny Crane |
[34:47] | legendary Boston attorney who just yesterday… | 波士顿律师界的传奇人物… |
[34:50] | apparently opened fire on his own client. | 他昨天向自己的委托人开火 |
[34:52] | – It was self-defense. – You’re kidding. | – 正当防卫 – 你在说笑 |
[34:55] | Self-defense? You’re not really | 正当防卫? 你不会 |
[34:56] | asking people to believe that? | 认为人们真的相信吧? |
[34:58] | Larry, it’s a crime to shoot people, | Larry 向人开枪是犯罪 |
[35:00] | even child-raping, murdering | 对算面对的是一个强奸犯和杀人犯 |
[35:02] | schmucks like my client was and still is. | 像我委托人那样的人渣 这也是犯罪 |
[35:05] | Okay. But clearly you’re not saying | 好吧 就算你没说过 |
[35:06] | if the defendant is repugnant enough, fair game, | 但是如果被告罪有应得 |
[35:09] | you’re entitled as a criminal | 你作为他的律师有权 |
[35:12] | defense attorney to shoot someone? | 开枪射他? |
[35:14] | No, no, no. Come on. | 不 当然不是 别这样 |
[35:15] | It’s self, it’s self-defense. | 这是自卫 正当防卫 |
[35:16] | But even if I did | 但是就算我真的选择 |
[35:18] | simply choose to shoot him, which I | 因此开枪射他 |
[35:20] | didn’t, because it’s against the law, | 虽然我没有做因为是犯法的 |
[35:22] | so what? | 那又怎么样? |
[35:24] | – Larry “So what”? Larry, you | – “那又怎么样”? |
[35:26] | know what the real problem is? | 你知道真正的问题出在哪吗? |
[35:28] | Too many criminals get away with it. | 有太多的罪犯逃脱了法律的制裁 |
[35:30] | We got hundreds of thousands of | 我们还有成千上万件 |
[35:32] | unsolved murders in this country. | 待解决的谋杀案 |
[35:34] | So what you’re saying is | 因此你认为 |
[35:35] | it’s okay for defense lawyers | 作为辨方律师 |
[35:36] | To take the law into their own hands. | 可以代替法律进行判决 |
[35:38] | No! Come on. | 当然不是! 别这样 |
[35:40] | You know what’s gonna happen with | 你知道这个强奸儿童的人渣杀人犯 |
[35:42] | this child rapist murdering scum? | 的下场是什么吗? |
[35:45] | Ashcroft | Ashcroft. |
[35:46] | God bless him, he’s gonna swoop in, | 愿上帝保佑他 他会盯上这个案子 |
[35:48] | and he’s gonna transfer | 把它转移到 |
[35:49] | this case to the federal court | 联邦法院 |
[35:51] | so we can impose the death penalty. | 以死刑告终 |
[35:52] | Denny, Ashcroft is no longer the attorney general. | Denny…Ashcroft已经不再是大法官了 |
[35:56] | Well, whatever. The Spanish guy. | 随便吧 那个西班牙人大法官 |
[36:00] | Even better. | 还更好 |
[36:02] | My client’s gonna get the death penalty, | 我的委托人会被判处死刑 |
[36:04] | bad knees and all, because he deserves it. | 膝盖伤了也好 什么都好 他是罪有应得 |
[36:06] | And all the bleeding liberals and all of Hollywood | 然后那些感觉自己被冒犯的自由主义者 |
[36:09] | will come running to defend | 和整个好莱坞都会开始为他辩护 |
[36:11] | him, make him a cause celebre. | 把他当作一个明星看待 |
[36:13] | But who’s crying for the 13-year-old girl? | 但是有谁为那个13岁的女孩伸冤呢? |
[36:18] | The problem with the criminal justice system, | 整个司法系统的毛病就在于 |
[36:21] | the criminals have more | 罪犯会得到更多的权利 |
[36:23] | rights, they have more attention, | 受到更多的关注 |
[36:24] | they get more sympathy than the victims. | 他们比受害者得到更多的同情 |
[36:27] | It’s disgusting, Larry. | 令人作呕啊 Larry |
[36:30] | It’s, it’s… | 这 这真是… |
[36:33] | It’s disgusting. Let’s go to the listeners. | 令人作呕啊 好了 让我们听听观众的看法 |
[36:36] | Hey! Donna in Cincinnati, what do you got? | 你好! 来自辛辛那提的Donna 你有什么要说? |
[36:43] | And while I find that the petitioner may | 我认为原告的请求 |
[36:45] | very well have a legitimate cause of action, | 非常合理 |
[36:47] | I don’t find such a | 但是我找不到 |
[36:49] | substantial likelihood of victory | 充分的根据 |
[36:51] | that would allow me to issue a TRO. | 让我批准临时限制令 |
[36:53] | Accordingly, I find for the defendant. | 因此 我判被告胜诉 |
[36:56] | I wish you all good luck | 同时我希望你们双方好运 |
[36:58] | and a satisfactory resolution. | 而且找到满意的解决方式 |
[37:00] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[37:02] | Oh, thank you both. That’s a relief. | 谢谢你们 真是松了一口气 |
[37:04] | We’re going to have to settle this. | 我们还必须把剩下的事情处理完 |
[37:06] | We will. | 没问题 |
[37:08] | Okay then. Let’s go home. | 那么好吧 我们回家吧 |
[37:10] | Alan | Alan. |
[37:16] | You have to do this. | 你还有事要做 |
[37:18] | You’re 44 years old. | 你已经44岁了 |
[37:25] | Tell him you’re a fan. Shake his hand. | 去告诉他你是他的仰慕者 和他握握手 |
[37:29] | Will you go with me? | 你会和我一块去吗? |
[37:31] | Right by your side. | 我会在你身边 |
[37:50] | Mr. Zozo, I, uh… | Zozo 先生 我 呃… |
[37:54] | I just wanted to say… | 我想说… |
[37:58] | how much I’ve always enjoyed your work. | 我非常喜欢你的表演 |
[38:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[38:05] | Would you like to squeeze my nose? | 你想要捏我的鼻子吗? |
[38:06] | No, no, no. | 不 不用了 |
[38:07] | You’ve been more than kind. | 你实在是太热情了 |
[38:11] | Alan | Alan. |
[38:17] | Well, perhaps one little squeeze. | 那好吧 也许 捏一下 |
[38:57] | You waited up for me. | 你一直在等我 |
[38:59] | And I’ve been frantic. | 我快闷死了 |
[39:02] | You, out at all hours. | 你这么久才回来 |
[39:05] | Did you see the show? | 你看了我的节目吗? |
[39:07] | I did. | 看了 |
[39:09] | You were inimitable. | 你的表演真是无与伦比 |
[39:14] | Denny, what possessed you? | Denny 你当时在想什么? |
[39:18] | Everybody’s so convinced I lost it, | 每个人都认为我会输 |
[39:21] | I was becoming convinced myself. | 我也快被他们说服了 |
[39:24] | So I decided to sail right into it. | 所以我决定不想那么多了 |
[39:26] | And I was Denny Crane. | 而且我可是Denny Crane |
[39:29] | Yes, you were. | 是的 你是 |
[39:32] | I squeezed a clown’s nose tonight. | 我今晚捏了一个小丑的鼻子 |
[39:35] | Good for you. | 对你而言很不错 |
[39:36] | Guess we’re never too old to conquer our fears. | 我想我们无论年纪多大 都可以征服内心的恐惧 |
[39:39] | I got a call from the | 我今晚接到一个电话 |
[39:41] | Republican national party tonight. | 是共和党方面打来的 |
[39:42] | They think I might have a future in politics. | 他们认为我也许很适合从政 |
[39:45] | They want to put some feelers out. | 他们想让我尝试一下 |
[39:47] | Maybe me running for mayor. | 也许让我竞选市长 |
[39:52] | Of Boston? | 波士顿市长? |
[39:56] | We wouldn’t get to be flamingos again. | 那我们就不能在一起扮火烈鸟了 |
[39:59] | Of course we would. | 我们当然可以 |
[40:00] | What would you do as mayor, Denny, really? | 你当了市长后想干些什么Denny 说真的? |
[40:04] | Oh, I don’t know. I’d, uh… | 哦 我也不知道 我 嗯… |
[40:07] | attack Rhode island. | 也许会去攻打罗德岛 |
[40:10] | It’s small. | 那个地方很小 |
[40:13] | What was the word you used to | 你刚才用来形容 |
[40:15] | describe me on the show tonight? | 我今晚表现的词是什么? |
[40:17] | – Inimitable. – That’s it. | – 无与伦比 – 没错 |
[40:19] | That’s the kind of mayor I would be. | 我要做这样一种市长 |
[40:22] | Inimitable. | 无与伦比 |
[40:27] | It’s fun being me. | 做我真有趣 |
[40:32] | Is it fun being you? | 做你有趣吗? |
[40:34] | Most of the time, yes, actually. | 事实上 绝大多数时候 是的 |
[40:38] | Well, what else is there? | 很好 那就够了 |
[40:40] | Indeed. | 确实 |