时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:10] | Hey, pretty boy. | 嘿 帅哥 |
[00:13] | How’d you like to go to Texas? | 想去德克萨斯吗? |
[00:15] | I’d love to. I haven’t had my shots. | 很愿意 我还从没去过呢 |
[00:17] | I used to work on the Texas innocence project. | 我曾参与过德克萨斯无罪项目 |
[00:19] | One of my cases is up on appeal and they’ve asked me back to argue. | 其中一起案子很快要上诉 他们要求我到庭辩论 |
[00:23] | I could really use your help. | 我非常需要你的帮助 |
[00:26] | – Because? – My last appearance… | – 因为? – 因为我上次的辩论… |
[00:28] | I unfortunately lost my temper with the chief judge. | 不幸的是 我跟首席法官发了火 |
[00:31] | I’m afraid he could be prejudiced against me. | 我担心他会对我有偏见 |
[00:34] | So I’m looking for the best lawyer I can find. | 所以我想找最棒的律师帮忙 |
[00:36] | I think that’s you. | 就是你了 |
[00:39] | – What kind of case is this? – Capital. | – 什么类型的案子? – 死刑案 |
[00:43] | The client is scheduled to be executed in 72 hours. | 按照计划 当事人会在72小时内执行死刑 |
[00:47] | He could be innocent. | 他可能是无辜的 |
[00:49] | What do you say? | 有什么想说的? |
[00:52] | I say I’ve always wanted to go to Texas. | 我想说 期待去德克萨斯很久了 |
[00:56] | Boston Legal 1×17 Death Be Not Proud | |
[01:27] | I certainly appreciate you seeing me, Shirley. | 我十分感谢你能抽空见我 Shirley |
[01:29] | I know how busy you are. | 我知道你很忙 |
[01:32] | Miriam, how long have we known each other? | Miriam 我们俩认识多久了? |
[01:35] | Well, certainly very long. | 嗯 很久了吧 |
[01:38] | But I am mindful of your hectic schedule, and I’m appreciative. | 我知道你的日程排的满满的 我很感激 |
[01:45] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[01:47] | Well, I don’t know exactly how to say this, | 呃 我不知道该怎么说 |
[01:51] | especially to someone with whom I’ve enjoyed a long and rewarding friendship. | 特别是 我很看重咱俩这么多年的友情 |
[01:56] | But I’ve gotten myself into a situation. | 但我惹了点麻烦 |
[02:01] | I’m beginning a trial next week in which I’m… | 下周就会开庭审理… |
[02:10] | the defendant. | 我是被告 |
[02:15] | It’s a criminal case? | 是刑事案件吗? |
[02:17] | I’m charged with engaging in sexual conduct for a fee. | 我被指控参与 以金钱为目的的性交易 |
[02:24] | You paid a man to have sex with you? | 你招男妓? |
[02:27] | Many times. | 很多次吧 |
[02:30] | When you say “many times” … | 你说的”很多次”指… |
[02:34] | Hundreds. | 几百次 |
[03:06] | You are not going to wear that once we get there. | 我们到那儿以后你可不能再戴这个了 |
[03:08] | – Why not? – This court antagonizes easily. | – 为啥呢? – 当地法官很容易看你不顺眼 |
[03:12] | Understood. How do I look? | 明白了 我看上去怎么样? |
[03:16] | The client’s name is Ezekiel Borns. | 当事人名叫Ezekiel Borns |
[03:19] | He likes to be called Zeke, he has an I.Q of 80. | 他喜欢人们叫他Zeke 智商80 |
[03:22] | He was convicted eight years ago in the shooting death of a gas station attendant. | 8年前 因枪杀一名加油站店员 他被控有罪 |
[03:27] | We finally got a DNA test ordered. It came back negative. | 我们最后拿到完整的DNA检测报告 能证明他不是凶手 |
[03:30] | One would think that would be enough to clear him. | 本以为这足以使他脱罪了 |
[03:33] | But the problem is he confessed after an all-night interrogation. | 但问题是 经过一整夜的审讯 他认罪了 |
[03:37] | He could have been coerced, maybe brainwashed, maybe both. | 他可能被逼供 或被洗脑 或者两者都有 |
[03:40] | When we land, I would like you to go meet Zeke | 飞机落地后 我想让你见见Zeke |
[03:43] | while I try to get a meeting with the D.A. | 而我要试着跟地方检察官见一面 |
[03:44] | I assume you already tried the governor. | 我以为你已经见过州长了 |
[03:46] | I’m told he giggled. | 据说他听到这件案子后咯咯笑了起来 |
[03:48] | High court is our last stop. | 高级法院就是最后一步棋了 |
[03:49] | – High court? – Texas doesn’t have a supreme court. | – 高级法院? – 德克萨斯州没有最高法院 |
[03:52] | They have two High courts, one for civil, and one for criminal. | 他们有两个高级法院 一个管民事诉讼 一个管刑事诉讼 |
[03:54] | And the chief judge on the criminal High court… | 刑事诉讼法院的首席法官… |
[03:57] | We had words on another case. | 在另一件案子里 我俩大吵过一架 |
[04:00] | When you say you had words… | 你的吵架是指… |
[04:03] | I called him a disgusting fat pig. | 我骂他是恶心的肥猪 |
[04:11] | Denny Crane? Oh, no, I, I couldn’t possibly… | Denny Crane负责吗? 哦 不 我怎么能… |
[04:15] | Miriam, listen, your case comes before judge Clark Brown. | Miriam 听着 你的案子被递到Clark Brown法官那里 |
[04:19] | Denny seems to have a take on him. | Denny跟他有点交情 |
[04:21] | I couldn’t possibly. | 我不能 |
[04:22] | Shirley… | Shirley啊… |
[04:26] | I don’t tell people this, | 我没告诉过别人 |
[04:29] | but Denny and I… | Denny和我曾… |
[04:31] | I once had relations with him. | 我俩以前有一腿 |
[04:35] | Listen, this many offenses… | 听着 这么多次的违法行为… |
[04:39] | You could be looking at time here. | 你可能会被判刑 |
[04:41] | If Denny gives us any advantage at all… | 要是Denny给我们一点帮助… |
[04:46] | I’m so beyond humiliated. | 这太侮辱人了 |
[04:49] | Which brings me to my next bomb. | 所以我才使出杀手锏 |
[04:53] | I see no real defense here, except, perhaps, medical. | 没有站得住脚的辩词 除了 疾病方面的 |
[04:59] | I’d like to be able to tell the jury that… | 我希望告诉陪审团… |
[05:03] | you’re a nymphomaniac. | 你有色情癖 |
[05:18] | Has he ever shared with you any information | 他有跟你说过什么吗 |
[05:20] | that could possibly contradict his signed confession? | 有可能跟他签署的认罪供述相矛盾的话? |
[05:22] | Uh, no, but I’d never require. | 哦 不 我从没要求他说 |
[05:25] | Not a curious guy, Father. | 我并不是好奇心重的人 神父 |
[05:28] | The role of clergy is only to get the inmates ready and willing to die. | 牧师的工作只是劝慰犯人 让他们准备好迎接死亡 |
[05:40] | Zeke? | 是Zeke吗? |
[05:43] | My name is Alan Shore. | 我叫Alan Shore |
[05:46] | I was all doped up. | 我当时晕晕的 |
[05:48] | I remember being at the gas station, but… | 记得自己在加油站 但是… |
[05:52] | Well, Zeke, why did you confess? | 嗯 Zeke 为什么要认罪? |
[05:54] | They kept telling me I did it. | 他们跟我说 是我干的 |
[05:57] | And they had witnesses. I knew I had been there. | 他们有证人 我记得自己到过那里 |
[06:01] | I probably did do it. | 可能就是我干的 |
[06:02] | Your confessions didn’t include the word “probably.” | 你的认罪陈述里可没有”可能”这个词 |
[06:06] | Zeke, you have no memory of shooting the attendant. | Zeke 你不记得枪杀过那个店员 |
[06:12] | You’re gonna get me sent to hell is what you’re doing. | 你这么做是想送我下地狱 |
[06:15] | – I beg your pardon? – I’ve already made my peace with God. | – 你说什么? – 我已平静的随上帝而去 |
[06:19] | If I start saying I didn’t do it… | 要是我翻供… |
[06:22] | Zeke, I’m trying to prevent your being executed. | Zeke 我在努力阻止你的死刑 |
[06:27] | They’re gonna kill me, Mr. Shore. | 他们会处死我 Shore先生 |
[06:29] | And my only salvation’s in the next world. | 为了赎罪 我只能去另一个世界 |
[06:33] | I gotta keep my peace with God. | 我要平静的追随上帝而去 |
[06:46] | Is this from his trial lawyer? | 这是他的庭审律师写的吗? |
[06:48] | Went into a 12-step program. | 送去康复疗程 |
[06:50] | Had to apologize to those he let down. | 抱歉他让你失望了 |
[06:53] | – Has Zeke seen this? – We sent him a copy. | – Zeke看过这个吗? – 我们给他看过副本 |
[06:56] | Zeke doesn’t write back. | 但Zeke没回复 |
[06:59] | Right. | 是啊 |
[07:06] | – Nymphomania? – Anything you can find. | – 色情癖? – 去找一切能找到的资料 |
[07:08] | And we’ll need to line up an expert who can testify possibly as soon as tomorrow. | 我们要准备让专家确诊 越快越好 最好明天 |
[07:12] | It’s not a real disease. | 又不是真正的病 |
[07:14] | It’s an excuse offered up by sex-perv sickos. | 只是个性欲不正常的疯子的借口而已 |
[07:16] | – Yes, Brad, thank you for that. – It’s also a sexist diagnosis, as well as bogus. | – 是啊Brad 谢谢提醒 – 虚伪的大男子主义 |
[07:20] | If a man was running around trying to shtup everything he could, | 要是一个男人四处寻欢作乐 见一个睡一个 |
[07:23] | we wouldn’t say that he had a disease, we would just call him… | 我们可不会说他有病 我们会叫他… |
[07:25] | Denny Crane. | Denny Crane哦 |
[07:27] | Exactly. I’ll need that research ASAP. | 没错 去调查吧 越快越好 |
[07:29] | Denny, right this way. Thank you for joining. | Denny 这边走 谢谢你能来 |
[07:32] | I’m a very busy man. I have a caseload. | 我很忙的 案子堆成山 |
[07:34] | You wouldn’t believe. So… | 你不会相信的 那么… |
[07:36] | Hello, Denny. | 你好 Denny |
[07:39] | Miriam? | 是Miriam? |
[07:42] | Don’t tell me I have another child. | 别跟我说我又冒出个私生子 |
[07:44] | Miriam has a criminal case beginning tomorrow. | Miriam明天有个刑事诉讼的案子开庭 |
[07:47] | Criminal? | 刑事诉讼? |
[07:50] | What did you do? | 你干了什么? |
[07:52] | I can tell you what she’s charged with. | 我可以告诉你她被控何罪 |
[07:54] | Can I count on your sensitivity? | 您愿闻其详吗? |
[07:56] | Of course. | 当然 |
[07:59] | She’s charged with engaging in sexual conduct for a fee. | 她被控参与以金钱为目的的性交易 |
[08:06] | You’re a hooker? | 你是妓女? |
[08:08] | – I’m leaving. – No. | – 我要走了 – 别 |
[08:10] | She paid for sex. She didn’t charge for it. | 她嫖娼 不是卖淫 |
[08:12] | And the judge is Clark Brown, which is the reason you’re here, | 审理案件的是Clark Brown法官 所以我们才请你来 |
[08:15] | in addition to your profound tenderness. | 再加上您独特的亲和力 |
[08:18] | We plan to perhaps use a medical defense of… | 我们想进行医学辩护… |
[08:22] | nymphomania. | 理由是色情癖 |
[08:25] | – You’re a nymph? – Denny. | – 你是色情狂? – 哦Denny |
[08:28] | You mean when you and I went on that long weekend to Napa, and, and | 你是说 咱俩那次去Napa度周末 然后 然后 |
[08:33] | you did those things… | 你还那样… |
[08:39] | She was sick. | 她是个病人 |
[09:01] | We have work to do. We can’t… | 我们有很多工作要做 不能… |
[09:02] | I’m not about to go to Texas and not ride the mechanical bull, Chelina. | 来德克萨斯怎么能不玩骑牛机呢 Chelina |
[09:06] | That would be like going to Los Angeles and not sleeping with Paris Hilton. | 就像去洛杉矶却不睡Paris Hilton一样 |
[09:09] | – You’ll get hurt. – Nonsense. | – 你会受伤的 – 荒唐 |
[09:11] | I grew up riding ponies in the pumpkin patch. | 我可是在南瓜地里骑着小马长大的 |
[09:16] | Chelina. | 我是Chelina |
[09:18] | Yes. We’ve just had a slight delay. | 是的 我们有点耽搁 |
[09:21] | Alan wants to ride a bull. | Alan想玩骑牛机 |
[09:25] | Can you get me the case? | 你能把案例给我吗? |
[09:27] | Fax it to the motel. | 传真到我们的旅馆 |
[09:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[09:33] | Evidently, an execution got stayed in Connecticut. | 显然 在Connecticut有个案子的死刑被推迟了 |
[09:36] | The lawyers argued something called “death row syndrome.” | 律师的辩护词与”死囚综合症”有关 |
[09:39] | Death row syndrome? | 死囚综合症? |
[09:40] | The theory being that death row can actually overwhelm the will to live, | 关在死囚区会让犯人打消活下去的念头 |
[09:44] | and contribute to a general incompetence. | 导致普遍的求死心理 |
[09:47] | – That could be Zeke. – Exactly. | – Zeke可能就是这样 – 没错 |
[09:49] | Notify my next of kin. | 记得告诉我家人啊 |
[09:52] | Oh, God. | 哦 天啊 |
[09:53] | Novice, intermediate, or expert? | 菜鸟级 普通级 还是高手级? |
[09:56] | Expert. | 高手 |
[09:57] | I teach it, actually. | 我可是专家 真的 |
[10:03] | Do I get a whip? | 我要拿鞭子吗? |
[10:08] | Intermediate. | 普通级 |
[10:11] | Intermediate. | 普通级 |
[10:13] | Chelina. | 我是Chelina |
[10:15] | We will. | 我们会去的 |
[10:17] | 10:00 A.M. is, it’s fine. We’ll be in his office. | 上午10点 好的 我们会到他的办公室等 |
[10:21] | Thanks, Jerry. | 谢了 Jerry |
[10:22] | – We got our meeting with the D.A. – Great. | – 跟地方检察官的会面安排好了 – 太棒了 |
[10:26] | Intermediate. | 普通级 |
[10:28] | Help. | 救命 |
[10:30] | Help! | 救命! |
[10:31] | Intermediate! | 普通级啊! |
[10:38] | It’s not a real disease. | 这不是真正意义上的疾病 |
[10:40] | It is part of our culture, Brad, and our role here is as advocates, remember? | 这是我们的工作 Brad 我们是律师 记得吗? |
[10:44] | Shirley, that point is well taken. | Shirley 这点子还要斟酌一下 |
[10:46] | There is an enormous risk with this kind of defense. | 这类的辩护风险太大 |
[10:49] | – If the jury rejects it… – But juries often don’t. | – 要是被陪审团驳回… – 但陪审团通常不会的 |
[10:52] | In 1970, we had the cable car nymphomaniac in San Francisco. | 1970年旧金山有个缆车色情癖的案例 |
[10:55] | She was awarded $50,000 for a crash that left her with a demonic sex urge. | 一次缆车相撞激起了女子疯狂的性冲动 她因此获赔5万美元 |
[10:58] | That case occurred when the medical community was more open to the diagnosis. | 那案子是因为当时的医学界对病情诊断并不严谨 |
[11:03] | Well, there are other possible diagnoses as well. | 嗯 还有其他可能的医学诊断啊 |
[11:05] | She could be bipolar. | 她可能走两个极端 |
[11:06] | There’s also a condition known as Kluver-Bucy syndrome, | 还有一种病症称之为Kluver-Bucy综合征(由严重大脑水肿引起,可能导致性欲过度旺盛) |
[11:08] | which can result in hypersexuality. | 这种病的症状有性欲过盛 |
[11:10] | Miriam Watson is a very successful and private businesswoman. | Miriam Watson是一位成功的女商人 并且看重隐私 |
[11:14] | Should we raise nymphomania as a defense, | 要是我们以色情癖作为辩护方向 |
[11:17] | the media will have a field day. | 媒体会吃了她的 |
[11:19] | Which is why we’re trying to nip this with a plea bargain. | 所以我们才想在辩词上掩盖这一点 |
[11:21] | But without some defense, we have no leverage. | 但若没有有力的辩词 我们是站不住脚的 |
[11:23] | Judge Brown. | Brown法官 |
[11:26] | Come again? | 再说一遍? |
[11:28] | I don’t like it when you say that, Shirley. It puts pressure on me. | 我不喜欢你那么说 Shirley 让我很有压力 |
[11:35] | What about Judge Brown? | 您说Brown法官怎么了? |
[11:37] | He’s a virgin. | 他还是个处男 |
[11:42] | And that would be relevant how? | 那会怎么样呢? |
[11:45] | If he saw in our client an opportunity… | 要是他偶然看上了我们的当事人… |
[11:56] | May I speak to you two a second? | 我能和您二位谈谈吗? |
[11:59] | This is not funny. | 这一点也不好玩 |
[12:00] | That man is a senior partner here, | 里面那位是高级合伙人 |
[12:02] | and the only time of the day he’s not making lewd sexual inferences | 却整天意淫 |
[12:05] | – is when he’s doing so blatantly. – Lori… | – 还明目张胆地 – 哦Lori… |
[12:06] | No, Shirley, I am sick of it. | 不 Shirley 这让我恶心 |
[12:08] | I am making an official complaint. | 我要正式投诉 |
[12:10] | You’re on notice. And you’re on notice. | 你看见了 你也看见了 |
[12:13] | I’ve had enough. | 我受够了 |
[12:28] | First, you cannot, cannot argue the morality of the death penalty. | 第一 你千万 千万不能争辩死刑的道德问题 |
[12:33] | – Every judge sitting up there is for it. – Clearly. | – 法官维护的就是它 – 明白 |
[12:36] | Second, do not mention Zeke’s innocence. | 第二 不要说Zeke无罪 |
[12:38] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[12:39] | They won’t listen. He did confess. | 他们不会听的 他自己都承认了 |
[12:42] | Isn’t it the DNA test that got us the appeal? | 难道不是因为DNA检测报告才有了这次申诉吗? |
[12:45] | The DNA here does not exonerate him. | DNA报告不能证明他无罪 |
[12:48] | It certainly indicates the presence of somebody else at the murder scene. | 报告中明显指出当时犯罪现场还有其他人 |
[12:52] | Proving innocence is one thing. | 证明无罪跟那报告是两码事 |
[12:54] | But since we can’t do that, our case here is procedural. | 既然证明不了无罪 那么案子只能在审判程序上纠错了 |
[12:57] | The DNA result is ancillary evidence, | DNA报告只是辅助证据 |
[12:59] | which hopefully will occasion them to look at procedural flaws. | 但愿这能使他们注意到程序上的疏漏 |
[13:03] | Does that make any sense? | 现在明白了吗? |
[13:05] | Yes, it does. | 是的 明白了 |
[13:07] | This is Texas. | 德克萨斯州嘛 |
[13:09] | I must say, I agree with the district attorney. | 我必须说明 我与地方检察官意见一致 |
[13:11] | If this were a one-time offense, | 这不是仅一次的违法行为 |
[13:14] | but the complaint alleges over 100 infractions. | 起诉状上的违法控诉超过100起 |
[13:17] | – It’s shocking. – If I may, your honor. | – 真让人震惊 – 恕我直言 法官大人 |
[13:20] | – This is a victimless crime. – Victimless? | – 这是一起无受害人犯罪 – 无受害人? |
[13:22] | When somebody’s action impugns the values of society, | 某人的行为是在质疑社会价值观 |
[13:25] | – we are all victims. – Yes, yes, yes for all that. | – 我们都是受害者 – 是的 是的 您说的对 |
[13:29] | But consider the shy people. | 但考虑到那些腼腆的人们 |
[13:33] | – The shy people? – Yes. | – 腼腆的人们? – 是的 |
[13:35] | If one were a single man, painfully shy, | 单身男性 特别腼腆 |
[13:39] | a virgin, time running out, one might like to meet this woman. | 又是处男 随着时间流逝 也许他希望遇到这样一位女士 |
[13:47] | She could help one. | 她能给予帮助 |
[13:56] | He’s mentally impaired, Glenn. | 他的智力不健全 Glenn |
[13:58] | You know this. Your own expert said so. | 你是知道的 你自己的专家也这么说 |
[14:01] | He was born with severe fetal alcohol syndrome. | 他出生时患有严重的胎儿乙醇综合症 |
[14:03] | Chelina, this was all raised at trial. | Chelina 这在庭审时已经说明过了 |
[14:06] | Now, at some point, a finding has to be final. | 现在 某种程度来讲 这个裁决是最终的了 |
[14:08] | I’m sorry. I realize I’m new, | 抱歉 我知道我是新来的 |
[14:11] | but didn’t the supreme court rule you can’t execute mentally retarded people? | 但最高法院难道没有规定不能对弱智人士行刑吗? |
[14:15] | He has an I.Q of 80. | 他智商是80 |
[14:17] | The cutoff point for retardation in Texas is 70. | 德克萨斯州规定的弱智智商线为70 |
[14:20] | Did you even read the prison reports on Zeke’s character? | 你看过Zeke的监狱行为报告吗? |
[14:23] | This isn’t about whether he’s been a good boy in prison. | 这跟他在监狱的表现无关 |
[14:26] | Point is what he did at the gas station. | 有关的是他在加油站的所作所为 |
[14:29] | Perhaps he didn’t do it. | 也许他并没有做 |
[14:30] | He has an I.Q of 80. | 他智商仅有80 |
[14:32] | All you really have is a confession, which most likely was a product of coercion. | 你需要的仅仅是一份认罪供述 而且很有可能是逼供 |
[14:37] | No weapon was found. DNA placed someone else at the scene. | 没有找到凶器 DNA报告显示犯罪现场还有其他人 |
[14:40] | How about on the possibility of Zeke Borns’ innocence, | 考虑一下 有没有可能Zeke Borns是清白的? |
[14:43] | we hold off just a bit on killing him? | 能不能推迟他的行刑? |
[14:48] | You must be new to Texas, Mr. Shore. | 你一定初来乍到德克萨斯 Shore先生 |
[14:51] | – I told you not to raise innocence. – How could we not raise it? | – 我说过别提清白这点 – 为什么不能提呢? |
[14:54] | They hear it all the time, Alan, don’t you get it? | 他们听腻了 Alan 难道你不明白吗? |
[14:56] | “My client is innocent. My client is innocent,” | “我的当事人是清白的 我的当事人是清白的” |
[14:58] | every single complaint case. It’s the standard refrain. | 每一件控诉案子都这么说 |
[15:01] | It has no impact when you can’t actually prove it, which we can’t. | 要是证明不了无罪 这话就是空话 况且我们证明不了 |
[15:05] | – The trier of fact found him guilty. – That doesn’t mean we can’t argue… | – 法官判他有罪 – 这并不意味着我们不能争辩… |
[15:08] | Look, I’ve done this before. | 听着 我以前这样做过 |
[15:10] | I know the way it works down here. | 我知道这样做的后果 |
[15:12] | Our claim has to be procedural. It’s the only chance Zeke has. | 上诉只能按照程序走 这是Zeke最后的希望了 |
[15:16] | And before you march into court | 当你昂首阔步地走进法庭 |
[15:18] | and tell everybody that the confession was coerced, | 并告诉人们他是被逼供之前 |
[15:21] | keep in mind Zeke hasn’t recanted. | 想想Zeke还没有撤回自己的主张 |
[15:24] | He’s still maintaining he did it. | 他仍坚持是他干的 |
[15:44] | Lori, while we understand your issues with Denny, | Lori 我们非常理解你对Denny有意见 |
[15:46] | while we are certainly taking steps to resolve them, | 我们一定会对此采取措施的 |
[15:50] | I don’t think you need to lodge an official complaint of sexual harassment. | 所以我想 你不用正式提起性骚扰投诉了 |
[15:53] | – Shirley… – Because if you do, | – 哦Shirley… – 要是你这样做了 |
[15:55] | we are required by law to initiate certain procedures. | 法律上讲我们必须开始一些特定程序 |
[15:58] | It could get very messy for all involved. | 这会让一切变得很糟 |
[16:00] | Is that a threat? | 这算威胁吗? |
[16:02] | He is ultimately a benign man who we all happen to care about, | 他是个和蔼可亲的人 我们都关心他 |
[16:07] | including you. | 你也是 |
[16:08] | I think what you really mean to do is to voice your concern unofficially. | 我想你真正的意图只是私下关心他 |
[16:15] | I am making an official complaint. | 我要正式投诉 |
[16:17] | If there’s paperwork to be filled out, please have the forms sent to my office. | 如果有任何文件要填写 请送到我的办公室 |
[16:24] | You little bitch. | 你个小贱人 |
[16:34] | There is no evidence of you ever having had a gun before, | 没有证据显示你曾经持有枪支 |
[16:37] | or ever shooting one. | 也不曾枪击过某人 |
[16:40] | Zeke… | Zeke啊… |
[16:41] | I certainly don’t wanna put words in your mouth, | 我不想硬逼着你说 |
[16:43] | but if you have no memory of doing it… | 但如果你不记得做过… |
[16:49] | If you don’t recant, | 要是你不撤回自己的主张 |
[16:51] | by this time tomorrow, you will be dead. | 明天此时 你就死定了 |
[16:55] | I’m gonna be dead no matter what. | 无论如何 我都将死去 |
[16:58] | The question is, do I go with god on my side or not? | 问题是 上帝是否与我同在? |
[17:04] | From what little I know of god, Zeke, he’s on your side no matter what. | 据我所知 Zeke 上帝无论何时都会与你同在 |
[17:08] | He also favors the side of truth. | 而且他更喜欢与真理同在 |
[17:11] | Now, if the truth is you didn’t do it… | 现在 真理如果是你没有做过… |
[17:13] | I did drugs. | 我嗑药 |
[17:15] | I stole. | 偷窃 |
[17:17] | I was a bad person. | 我是个坏蛋 |
[17:21] | And now I need to be a strong person. | 但现在我要坚强起来 |
[17:25] | I need to have courage now for once. | 这一次 我需要勇气 |
[17:29] | I’m gonna be brave. | 我要勇敢面对 |
[17:35] | After my marriage dissolved, my sexual desire became inflamed. | 离婚以后 我的性欲变得异常强烈 |
[17:42] | I was in a few relationships, | 我谈过几次恋爱 |
[17:44] | and my appetite took on more the form of an addiction. | 但对性的渴望就像上瘾了一样 |
[17:48] | When you say “addiction”… | 你说的”上瘾”指… |
[17:50] | Now whenever I so much as look at an able-bodied man, | 只要我看见身体健全的男士 |
[17:55] | my southern region turns tropical. | 我就欲火焚身 |
[18:05] | And this compulsion led you to male prostitutes? | 这迫使你不得不找男妓? |
[18:11] | Where else was I to go? | 那我还能怎么样呢? |
[18:13] | I’m a 56-year-old woman. | 一个56岁的女人 |
[18:16] | It’s not as if I can walk into a bar, or… | 又不像年轻人能去酒吧找 或者… |
[18:20] | I suppose if I were in a relationship… | 要是我能谈一场恋爱… |
[18:40] | What the hell was that? | 到底怎么回事? |
[18:42] | “My southern region turns tropical,” that little look to the judge? | “我欲火焚身” 还有跟法官眉来眼去? |
[18:50] | Did you coach her to do that? | 是不是你教的她? |
[18:53] | If the judge likes us, he gives us a good instruction. | 法官喜欢我们的话 会对我们有利的 |
[18:55] | It’s as simple as that. He might even give us a directed verdict. | 就这么简单 甚至他的判决会偏向我们 |
[18:58] | I’m sensing some intent issues with the prosecution’s case. | 我感到在此案中 法官有些针对控方 |
[19:02] | I can feel it. | 我感觉的到 |
[19:04] | The judge has intent issues. | 他有意偏向我们 |
[19:19] | These judges are only human, Chelina. | 法官也是人 Chelina |
[19:21] | They certainly have to appreciate the possibility of his innocence here. | 他们当然明白他有可能无罪 |
[19:27] | When I left this job, I told everybody it was because I wanted to make more money. | 我告诉所有人 当初我辞了这份工作是因为想赚更多钱 |
[19:32] | The truth is I couldn’t take it anymore. | 事实是 我不能再这样了 |
[19:35] | I couldn’t take seeing clients die. | 我不能眼看着当事人去死 |
[19:39] | Did you win any? | 你打赢过案子吗? |
[19:41] | Sometimes you must have prevailed. | 有时你必须获胜 |
[19:43] | I remember reading a death penalty was overturned here just last year. | 我记得曾读到 去年德州有死刑被推翻的案例 |
[19:46] | Yeah, a New York firm volunteered to handle it. | 是的 一个纽约的公司自愿接手那个案子 |
[19:50] | It took them 10 years and cost $5 million. | 花了他们10年时间 5百万美元 |
[19:53] | The state of Texas has the most overwhelmed and underfunded defense bar in the country. | 德克萨斯州的辩护团全国数一数二 但也最缺钱 |
[19:58] | They get $25,000 to appeal a death case. | 一起死刑官司 他们要收2万5千美元 |
[20:00] | The prosecutors have an unlimited budget. | 而公诉人的预算没有上限 |
[20:02] | – It’s a joke, Alan. – We have good grounds here, | – 这就是个玩笑 Alan – 我们开了个好头 |
[20:05] | the trial lawyer has admitted he provided inadequate counsel. | 庭审律师承认他派遣了不恰当的律师 |
[20:08] | Alan, this is the court that held a sleeping lawyer isn’t necessarily inadequate. | Alan 这间法庭认为准备不足的律师是不够胜任的 |
[20:12] | You have to show he was sleeping during the important parts. | 在庭审的关键时刻 你得让人们看到他准备不足 |
[20:18] | You asked me before why Texas, | 你曾问我德克萨斯州 |
[20:22] | instead of having a supreme court, it has two High courts? | 为什么没有最高法院 而只有两个高等法院 |
[20:25] | The reason… | 原因是… |
[20:27] | is to speed up the death cases. | 是为了加速死刑的审判 |
[20:30] | They’ve cut the time it takes to execute people in half. | 他们缩短了一半的死刑审判时间 |
[20:33] | It’s why Texas leads the country in executions proudly. | 这就是为何德克萨斯州在执行死刑方面领先全国 |
[20:38] | Seven of the nine judges you will face tomorrow are former prosecutors. | 明天你将面对的9名法官中 有7名是公诉人出身 |
[20:47] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[20:54] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[21:00] | I promise you… | 我向你保证… |
[21:02] | by the time I finish tomorrow, | 明天庭审结束的时候 |
[21:04] | those judges, every last one of them will rise up and say, | 那些法官 每一个人都会站起来说 |
[21:09] | “Never mind executing Ezekiel Borns, let’s kill Alan Shore instead.” | “别再执行Ezekiel Borns的死刑了 杀了Alan Shore吧” |
[21:31] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[21:38] | Maybe we… | 也许我… |
[21:40] | we should probably get back to work. | 我们得回去工作了 |
[21:48] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[22:06] | You told me there be a public presence here, Jerry. There’s one protestor outside. | 你跟我说会有公众到场旁听 Jerry 但只有个抗议者在门外 |
[22:11] | What am I gonna do, Chelina? It’s just not as big a story as it used to be. | 我能怎么办Chelina? 局势变了 |
[22:14] | We’d be better off with nobody than one. | 我宁可不要公众旁听 也比有个抗议者好 |
[22:18] | I’ll call you after. | 待会打给你 |
[22:54] | I told you you are not wearing that hat. | 我告诉过你不要戴那顶帽子 |
[22:57] | Take it off. | 摘下来 |
[23:05] | Listen, last night… | 听着 昨晚… |
[23:09] | Sometimes lawyers will bond over a cause, and, well, I… | 有时 律师之间的亲密行为是有意图的 嗯 那个我… |
[23:15] | Chelina, | 哦Chelina |
[23:18] | let’s go argue the cause. | 谈谈那个意图如何 |
[23:25] | Remember, this motion is a nuisance to them. | 记着 这个手势会惹人厌的 |
[23:27] | They will antagonize you. | 他们会激怒你 |
[23:29] | If you even feel yourself wanting to retaliate, you say, | 要是你感觉自己想还嘴 就说 |
[23:32] | “with all due respect, may it please the court.” | “尽管对阁下尊敬之至 但恳请法庭允许” |
[23:37] | Anything else? | 还有别的吗? |
[23:40] | Persevere. | 要坚持 |
[23:42] | They will try to shut you down before you even begin. | 你还没开口说话 他们就会让你闭嘴的 |
[23:47] | Persevere. | 要坚持 |
[23:49] | I got it. | 明白了 |
[23:52] | There is no question that | 毫无疑问的是 |
[23:54] | the defendant entered into a transaction for sex with someone for consideration. | 被告要求进行性交易的对象 都是有需之人 |
[24:00] | However, | 然而 |
[24:01] | one element of this crime is criminal intent. | 这项指控的要素之一是犯罪意图 |
[24:06] | The burden is on the prosecution to prove this element beyond all reasonable doubt. | 公诉方企图证明此项要素完全不合情理 |
[24:10] | If a medical condition deprived the defendant of her free will, | 而被告的身体状况使其无法自由支配她的欲望 |
[24:13] | or even unduly influenced her, she lacked that intent. | 甚至过度地驱使了她的行为 被告并没有犯罪意图 |
[24:18] | Since the prosecution failed to eliminate | 鉴于公诉方没有消除 |
[24:20] | hypersexuality or bipolar syndrome | 性欲过盛和两极症状 |
[24:24] | or Kluver-Bucy syndrome as a cause for her conduct, | 以及Kluver-Bucy综合症对于被告行为的影响 |
[24:28] | well, then, I feel I have no choice but to deliver a verdict in favor of… | 那么 嗯 我想我只有宣判… |
[24:34] | the defendant. | 被告获胜 |
[24:37] | Miss Watson, you are free to go. | Watson小姐 你可以走了 |
[24:49] | What? | 怎么了? |
[24:50] | You got to that judge. | 是你找了法官吧 |
[24:52] | – I don’t know what you’re talking about. – You knew his ruling by heart. | – 我不知道你在说什么 – 你知道他被感情左右了 |
[24:54] | – Boilerplate. – A ruling that was ridiculously pro-defense. | – 照章办事嘛 – 好让他荒唐地偏向被告 |
[24:58] | Denny Crane. | 此乃Denny Crane |
[24:59] | What did you do, promise him a date with our client? | 你做了什么 许诺他能跟我们的当事人约会吗? |
[25:01] | First of all, I would never ever do anything like that, never. | 首先 我绝不会那么做 绝不 |
[25:04] | Secondly, if I did, I would never ever tell you. Never. | 其次 如果我做了 我绝不会告诉你 绝不 |
[25:07] | Third… | 再其次… |
[25:08] | And you, was there any quid pro quo here? | 还有你 跟法官有什么见不得人的交易? |
[25:12] | – How dare you? – Oh, never mind how dare me. | – 你怎么敢这么说? – 哦 我还就敢了 |
[25:14] | You’re a serial intercourser. That ruling was suspect. | 您是床上老手 左右男人的事手到擒来 |
[25:19] | – Bribing a judge. – Never did that. | – 勾引法官 – 从没干过 |
[25:23] | Well, the two of you are going to have to live with yourselves on this one. | 嗯 你们俩好好想想吧 |
[25:27] | For now, like the judge says, you’re free to go, as is your lip. | 现在 正如法官所说 你可以走了 嘴唇也可以动了 |
[25:37] | Ezekiel Borns murdered a man in cold blood for a few dollars. | Ezekiel Borns为财而残忍地杀人 |
[25:41] | He confessed to it. | 他自己也认罪了 |
[25:43] | The petitioner has gone up and down state and federal courts, | 上诉方在州法院和联邦法院之间多方奔走 |
[25:47] | exhausting his appeals, | 把案子拖了又拖 |
[25:49] | losing his habeas arguments, | 致使犯人失去了人身保护权(犯人需关押于监狱直到得到审判结果) |
[25:51] | and failing on claims of constitutional violations. | 以及宪法规定的 违法者所享有的权利 |
[25:56] | Four different courts of appeal have reviewed | 受理此上诉的四间法庭 |
[26:00] | and rejected each and every one of his arguments. | 都做出了驳回上诉的审判 |
[26:05] | Now is the time for this man to pay the penalty | 现在该是犯人公平合法地 |
[26:08] | imposed on him fairly and legally. | 接受惩罚的时候了 |
[26:11] | Now, a Texas jury has decided that Ezekiel Borns is a dangerous killer. | 现在 德克萨斯州陪审团裁定Ezekiel Borns是个危险的杀人凶手 |
[26:17] | He has forfeited his right to live. | 剥夺其生存的权利 |
[26:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢各位 |
[26:28] | “With all due respect, may it please the court.” | “尽管对阁下尊敬之至 但恳请法庭允许” |
[26:38] | Good afternoon, my name is Alan Shore. | 下午好 我是Alan Shore |
[26:40] | Mr.Shore, what are the new issues being raised here? | Shore先生 你有什么新的议题吗? |
[26:43] | The first issue before the court | 第一项议题 恳请法庭 |
[26:45] | concerns the absence of any African American jurors. | 考虑到黑人法官人数不足 |
[26:48] | That was previously argued and ruled on, counsel. | 这项之前已经讨论过 并且做出裁决了 律师 |
[26:51] | Yes, before the lower courts. This bench has never considered… | 是的 那是初级法院的裁决 但是本庭法官尚未考虑到… |
[26:53] | We’re not persuaded that the absence of a black juror | 我们不认为黑人法官的缺席 |
[26:56] | is in violation of due process. | 有碍审判程序的进行 |
[26:58] | What’s your next issue? | 下一项议题是? |
[27:00] | I would turn the court’s attention to the fact that the grand jury | 我恳请法庭注意此项事实 |
[27:03] | which indicted Mr. Borns similarily was all white. | 对Borns先生提起公诉的陪审团成员均为白人 |
[27:06] | This raises equal protection laws… | 这项议题涉及到平等保护法律(美国宪法十四条修正案)… |
[27:08] | That issue was never raised, and is therefore waived. | 本庭没有提出过这项议题 也对此议题不予考虑 |
[27:14] | Your Honor, Texas law requires that the jury recommend death only in cases | 法官大人 德克萨斯州法律规定陪审团只有在 |
[27:20] | where they find that the defendant poses a threat of future dangerousness to society. | 认为被告对社会存在严重威胁时 才建议给予死刑判决 |
[27:24] | We maintain this is unconstitutional. | 我方认为这是有违宪法的 |
[27:26] | Juries are supposed to find elements of guilt and innocence | 陪审团的裁定应该建立在事实的基础上 |
[27:29] | based on facts beyond a reasonable doubt, not on the basis of perceived probabilities. | 而不是建立在主观认为的可能性上 这是毫无疑问的 |
[27:34] | Moreover, as a practical matter, | 那么 具体到本案 |
[27:35] | since Ezekiel Borns will remain in prison for life, | 既然Ezekiel Borns将会在监狱中度过余生 |
[27:39] | he couldn’t possibly constitute a future threat to society | 他以后不可能再对社会构成威胁 |
[27:42] | unless the law assumes prison breaks. | 除非法律中考虑到越狱的可能 |
[27:44] | Well, that’s an interesting issue, counsel, | 呃 这是项有趣的议题 律师 |
[27:47] | but that also was never raised, and therefore, it is deemed waived. | 但这项也未曾提到 且本庭不予考虑 |
[27:51] | Next. | 下一项 |
[27:54] | May it please the court, | 恳请法庭允许我这样说 |
[27:56] | Mr. Borns’ trial lawyer has recently admitted he was ineffective counsel. | Borns先生的庭审律师最近承认 他的律师资格是无效的 |
[28:00] | He was abusing cocaine and alcohol during the trial… | 他被指控在庭审期间吸食可卡因及酗酒 |
[28:03] | – Not legally inadequate. – I believe if you examine the transcripts… | – 这在法律上没有不适之处 – 我相信如果我们看过了庭审记录… |
[28:06] | Mr. Shore, representation can always be better, | Shore先生 代理律师总是能更出色 |
[28:10] | especially when we play Monday morning quarterback. | 特别是在我们周一早上打橄榄球时 |
[28:13] | With all due respect, | 尽管对阁下尊敬之至 |
[28:15] | this lawyer never gave an opening statement. | 这位律师从未做过开场陈词 |
[28:17] | He never questioned several of the prosecution’s witnesses. | 也没有询问过公诉方的证人 |
[28:20] | He failed to pursue a number of leads and important sentencing issues. | 更没有做过诱导性询问或者重要的判决提议 |
[28:24] | This court right here today | 今天的上诉审理 |
[28:26] | has recognized that many valid grounds for appeal were never raised. | 就是此案仍有诸多疑点的最好证明 |
[28:29] | This court is satisfied that the representation was adequate. | 法庭认为被告方代理律师的行为尚可 |
[28:32] | Is there anything else? | 还有其他的吗? |
[28:38] | Yes, Mr. Borns may be innocent. | 是的 Borns先生可能无罪 |
[28:42] | The jury disagreed, | 这项陪审团意见不一 |
[28:43] | and legally, that issue has been settled. | 但法律上来说 已经做出了裁决 |
[28:46] | The DNA evidence shows somebody else was there. | DNA证据证明当时犯罪现场还有其他人 |
[28:48] | But it does not disprove that your client was also there. | 但也不能证明你的当事人不在那 |
[28:52] | And your guy confessed, by the way. | 而且他已经认罪了 顺便说一句 |
[28:55] | My client has an I.Q of 80. He was interrogated for 16 hours. | 我的当事人智商只有80 他当时被连审16个小时 |
[28:59] | Coercion was never raised. | 被告方没有提出逼供行为 |
[29:01] | It was never raised because his lawyer was an inadequate hack, | 那是因为他的律师是个不称职的烂货 |
[29:03] | though the nine of you seem quite satisfied with his performance, | 尽管你们都对他的表现很满意 |
[29:08] | with all due respect. | 对阁下尊敬之至 |
[29:10] | Mr. Shore, you came down here from Massachusetts? | Shore先生 您是从马萨诸塞州赶来此地的吧? |
[29:14] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[29:15] | We in Texas have been living with this case for eight years. | 德克萨斯州法庭搁置这件案子8年了 |
[29:20] | You’ve been living with it personally? | 您个人时刻关心这件案子吗? |
[29:22] | May it please the court. | 恳请法庭允许 |
[29:25] | You first met Mr. Borns when? | 你第一次见Borns先生是什么时候? |
[29:28] | Yesterday. | 昨天 |
[29:29] | And you are proposing to us that you know him? | 你试图告诉我们你很了解他? |
[29:33] | You know what I’d like to propose? | 知道我想告诉你什么吗? |
[29:34] | I’d like to propose that you got a problem with the death penalty in general. | 我告诉你 你反对死刑 |
[29:39] | Now, is that why you came here, sir? | 那么 你是否为此而来呢 先生? |
[29:44] | I am here, with all due respect, may it please the court, | 我来这 对您尊敬之至 恳请法庭允许 |
[29:47] | because I have a problem with a state executing a man with diminished capacity | 是因为州法院裁决 对一位行为能力低下的人执行死刑 |
[29:51] | who may very well be innocent. | 而且他很有可能无罪 |
[29:53] | I’m particularly troubled, may it please the court, | 我很困扰 恳请法庭允许 |
[29:55] | with all due respect, that you don’t have a problem with it. | 对您尊敬之至 你们竟然对此没有提出任何异议 |
[29:57] | You may not want to regard my client’s innocence, | 也许你们不曾考虑过我当事人是无罪的 |
[30:00] | but you cannot possibly disregard the fact | 但你们不能忽视一项事实 |
[30:03] | that 117 wrongfully convicted people | 美国共有117位受到不公正裁决的公民 |
[30:08] | have been saved from execution in this country, 117. | 从死刑场上被救了下来 117位 |
[30:11] | The system is hardly foolproof. | 法律系统并不是完美的 |
[30:13] | And Texas, this state, is responsible for a full third of all executions in America. | 全美有三分之一的死刑判决源自德克萨斯州 |
[30:22] | How can that be? | 事情怎么会这样呢? |
[30:23] | The criminals are just somehow worse here? | 这里的罪犯更穷凶极恶吗? |
[30:25] | Last year, you accounted for fully half of the nation’s executions, | 去年 你们判决的死刑占全国一半之多 |
[30:30] | 50% from one state. | 一个州的死刑竟占半数 |
[30:32] | You cannot disregard the possibility, the possibility that something’s up in Texas. | 你们不能无视这种可能性 德克萨斯州的法律系统有问题 |
[30:38] | I would urge you to confine your remarks to your client, | 我强烈建议你把刚才的话说给你的当事人听 |
[30:41] | and not the good state of Texas. | 而不是整个德克萨斯州 |
[30:47] | Zeke Borns never had a chance. | Zeke Borns根本没机会上诉 |
[30:50] | He was rounded up as a teenager, | 他还未成年时 |
[30:52] | thrown in a cell while he was still doped up on drugs, | 就被捕入狱 当时他被人下药 |
[30:54] | browbeaten and interrogated until his I.Q of 80 was overcome. | 眉骨被打伤 严厉审讯 直到智商80变的不再是审判的障碍 |
[30:59] | He confessed to a crime he had no memory of, | 他供认的案子 自己都想不起来做过 |
[31:02] | still has no memory of, | 直到现在还没有想起来 |
[31:04] | for which there is no evidence, | 就因为没有证据证明他的清白 |
[31:05] | other than two witnesses who saw him pumping gas around the time of the murder. | 而那两名证人也只是看到他在案发时 给车加油而已 |
[31:10] | He was given a coked-up lawyer who admittedly did nothing. | 法庭给他委派的律师是个一无是处的瘾君子 他自己也承认这点 |
[31:12] | I’m now before nine presumably intelligent people in the justice business | 我站在诸位貌似主持正义的聪明人面前 |
[31:16] | who have the benefit of knowing all of this. | 你们心中对此事一清二楚 |
[31:18] | Add to that, you know DNA places somebody else at the scene, | 再加一句 你们明知道DNA表明案发现场还有其他人 |
[31:21] | and you’re indifferent! | 却漠不关心! |
[31:23] | You don’t care! | 你们才不管呢! |
[31:25] | Whether you believe in my client’s innocence, and I’ll assume… | 无论你们是否相信我当事人是无罪的 我都假定… |
[31:30] | with all due respect, may it please the court, that you don’t. | 对阁下尊敬之至 恳请法庭允许我说 你们压根不信 |
[31:33] | You cannot be sure of his guilt. | 你们不能确定他有罪 |
[31:35] | You simply cannot. | 你们压根不能 |
[31:39] | And failing that, how can you kill him? | 如此来说 你们又怎么能处死他呢? |
[31:43] | How can you kill him? | 你们怎么能处死他呢? |
[31:54] | And I would sincerely, sincerely, | 我非常 非常 |
[31:55] | sincerely hope that you don’t penalize my client | 非常真诚地希望你们能处死我的当事人 |
[31:59] | simply because his lawyers happen to be from Massachusetts. | 就因为他的律师碰巧来自马萨诸塞州 |
[32:04] | The home of the New England patriots, | 新英格兰爱国者队的故乡 |
[32:06] | who could kick ass over any football team you’ve got in the good state of Texas, | 他们能打赢你们州的任何一支球队 打的你们屁股开花 |
[32:09] | May it please the court. | 恳请法庭允许我这样说 |
[32:27] | I am so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[32:29] | No, you don’t have to apologize. | 不 你不必道歉 |
[32:31] | They gave you nothing. | 他们什么也听不进去 |
[32:35] | You had no choice but to go with your passion. | 你没有选择的余地 只能跟着感觉走了 |
[32:39] | Could have left out the slight on Texas football, but… | 德克萨斯州足球队没必要说的 但是… |
[32:49] | You were strong, Alan. | 你很坚强 Alan |
[32:55] | And maybe you reached them. | 或许你能说服他们 |
[33:17] | The court hasn’t ruled yet. | 法庭还没有宣判呢 |
[33:19] | Six hours before, he goes to Huntsville. | 行刑前6小时 他要待在Huntsville |
[33:21] | – That’s the law. – What’s in Huntsville, bleachers? | – 这是法律规定 – Huntsville是什么地方 看台吗? |
[33:25] | The death house. They put me in the walls unit. | 是死囚休息室 他们把我关在单间里 |
[33:29] | Why move him if there’s still a chance? | 还有机会呢 为什么要押走他? |
[33:35] | – Jerry? – No cell phones in here. | – 是Jerry? – 这里禁止使用手机 |
[33:40] | Just now? | 刚才吗? |
[33:50] | They turned us down. | 法庭驳回上诉 |
[34:02] | Well, let’s go then. | 好吧 走吧 |
[34:07] | – I’m so sorry, Zeke. – I’m ready, Chelina. | – 我很抱歉Zeke – 我准备好了Chelina |
[34:10] | I’m gonna be strong like a hero. You watch. | 我会像英雄般坚强 你会看到的 |
[34:15] | Will you watch? | 你会来吗? |
[34:19] | I want people to see me strong. | 我想让人们看到我的坚强 |
[34:23] | I got no family. | 我又没有亲人 |
[34:26] | Will you come? | 你会来吧? |
[34:31] | Sure. | 当然 |
[34:33] | We’ll be there. | 我们会去的 |
[34:37] | Let’s go, Zeke. | 走吧 Zeke |
[34:49] | We’ll go and see it together. | 我们一起去 |
[34:58] | He bribed the judge? | 他唆使勾引法官? |
[35:01] | I can’t be sure, but I think he had some undue influence. | 还不能确定 但我想 他不适当地影响了法官的判决 |
[35:08] | As much as I adore him, | 虽然我喜欢他 |
[35:10] | it’s only a matter of time before he brings this place to its knees. | 但他这么做 很快就能让事务所名声扫地 |
[35:15] | He’s the named partner, | 他是冠名合伙人 |
[35:17] | the lead named partner. | 首席冠名合伙人 |
[35:21] | I think we’ve gotta take him out. | 我想我们不需要他了 |
[35:38] | I get ice cream. | 我要了冰激凌 |
[35:40] | – Chocolate. – Yeah, you’re set. | – 巧克力味的 – 是啊 你还好吧 |
[35:44] | They said maybe sprinkles. | 他们说上面还撒了糖粒 |
[35:47] | Guess I don’t need to worry about my cholesterol. | 我猜 不用担心我的胆固醇过高了 |
[35:59] | Governor’s in Hawaii, unavailable. | 州长在夏威夷 联系不到 |
[36:02] | There’s still hope, however. | 还是有希望的 |
[36:04] | I made a few calls, tracked down a woman I know | 我打了几个电话 找到一个认识的女孩 |
[36:06] | who is actually performing in a charity luau where the governor is scheduled to be, | 她会在州长将出席的慈善晚宴上跳舞 |
[36:10] | Polynesian dancer. | Polynesian舞者 |
[36:13] | So you’re saying this whole thing could come down to… | 你是说 一切的希望都在… |
[36:15] | A hula girl. | 一个草裙舞女孩手上 |
[36:22] | I know this girl. She’s good. | 我认识这女孩 她人很好 |
[36:31] | – Zeke. – Let’s do this. | – 哦Zeke – 就这样吧 |
[36:34] | I’m ready to die. I’m strong. | 我准备好赴死了 我很坚强 |
[36:39] | Would you excuse us for a minute, please? | 请让我们谈谈 好吗? |
[36:50] | Zeke, you talked about being a hero. | Zeke 你谈到如何成为英雄 |
[36:53] | Strong and brave may not go with hero here. | 英雄并不都是坚强和勇敢的 |
[36:58] | What do you mean? | 你想说什么? |
[37:09] | The state of Texas wants people to believe you’re a monster. | 德克萨斯州法院想让人们相信你是个怪物 |
[37:14] | I think you should show them | 我想 你应该让他们知道 |
[37:17] | you’re a human being. | 你有人性 |
[37:21] | And the human thing to do here is be afraid. | 是人 就会害怕 |
[37:28] | If you wanna be a hero, | 如果你想当英雄 |
[37:31] | show people what it really feels like to be executed. | 告诉人们 面对死刑是什么感觉 |
[37:39] | We’re led to believe | 政府让我们相信 |
[37:41] | it’s peaceful, painless, | 死刑是平静的 无痛的 |
[37:46] | humane, even. | 甚至 是人道的 |
[37:49] | I think you should fight to the end, Zeke, | 我想 你应该奋战到底 Zeke |
[37:53] | and show your fear. | 让人们看到你的恐惧 |
[37:58] | This is because you’re against the death penalty, right? | 因为你反对死刑 对吗? |
[38:04] | Well… | 嗯… |
[38:06] | Whether a person is for or against the death penalty, | 无论是支持还是反对死刑 |
[38:10] | he or she should just know what it is. | 人们都应该首先了解它 |
[38:20] | The best way for you to be a hero, Zeke, | 对你而言 成为英雄的最佳方法就是 Zeke |
[38:24] | is to be human. | 展露人性 |
[38:32] | I’ve also included a brief synopsis of the case history, | 我还做了个有关案子的简报 |
[38:34] | should he care to peruse it over a Mai Tai. | 在他喝鸡尾酒时可以仔细读读 |
[38:36] | Excellent, Angela. | 做的好 Angela |
[38:37] | You have my number, you also have Alan’s, | 你有我的电话 也有Alan的 |
[38:39] | and I’ve given you Chelina’s cell, and the number at the WLS unit. | 我还给了你Chelina的手机 还有州监狱的 |
[38:43] | Thank you. Aloha. Make speed. | 谢谢 再见 要快一点 |
[38:47] | He’s actually petitioning the Texas governor by way of… | 他向德克萨斯州州长请愿的中间人是… |
[38:51] | Hula girl. | 草裙舞女孩 |
[38:52] | Justice works in strange ways, Paul. | 正义之路不止一条 Paul |
[38:55] | Ask judge Brown. | Brown法官就是 |
[38:57] | Did Denny bribe him? | Denny有没有贿赂他? |
[39:00] | I can only guess. | 我只能猜了 |
[39:03] | Tara, do you ever feel sexually harassed by Denny? | Tara啊 Denny有没有性骚扰过你? |
[39:08] | Never. | 从没有 |
[39:10] | He never objectifies you? | 他没骚扰过你? |
[39:12] | All men objectify me. | 男人都骚扰我 |
[39:15] | I don’t. | 我没有 |
[39:20] | I don’t! | 我没有! |
[39:24] | Hello, Angela? | 你好 Angela吗? |
[39:25] | Yes, without question. | 是的 没问题 |
[39:27] | He must be there, Angela. | 他一定会去的Angela |
[39:29] | I got his schedule directly from his press secretary’s assistant. | 我直接从他的宣传部秘书长助理那拿的行程表 |
[39:32] | You got my fax? In your hand? | 收到我的传真没? 在你手里吗? |
[39:35] | Then find the governor, get it in his hand. | 赶紧找到州长 把东西交到他手上 |
[39:37] | We have less than 10 minutes. Maybe 5. | 还有不到10分钟时间 也许5分钟 |
[39:44] | Okay. | 好的 |
[39:46] | No cell phones are allowed in here. | 这里禁止使用手机 |
[39:48] | How’d you get by with that? | 你怎么拿进来的? |
[39:50] | I told the guard we were waiting for a last-minute call from your conscience. | 我跟保安说正在等一通很重要的电话 |
[39:54] | Collect. | 接收方付费的 |
[39:56] | Do you see that guy? | 看见那个人了吗? |
[39:58] | Media. One guy. | 记者 就他一个 |
[40:01] | It’s not even a story. | 什么影响都没有 |
[40:44] | Do I get to say my last words now? | 我现在可以说遗言了吗? |
[40:48] | If you like. | 请便 |
[40:52] | It’s just… | 只是… |
[40:55] | I don’t know if I did it, | 我不知道是不是我干的 |
[40:58] | but if I did, I’m sorry, you know? | 如果是的话 我很抱歉 你知道吗? |
[41:11] | Time to get on now. | 时间到了 |
[41:14] | Okay. Thank you for everything. | 好吧 谢谢大家 |
[41:26] | No. | 不 |
[41:29] | Get his legs. Get his legs. | 抓住他的腿 抓住他的腿 |
[41:32] | Get his legs. | 抓住他的腿 |
[41:34] | Get him on there. | 把他弄上来 |
[41:35] | I got him. | 抓住了 |
[41:37] | Right there. | 上来 |