时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:12] | My friend, I can’t tell you how good to see you. | 朋友 我没法描述能见到你我有多高兴 |
[00:14] | I got to be honest with you, I thought you were dead. | 说真的 我以为你已经死了 |
[00:16] | – Never felt better in my life. – Oh, come on. That’s a lie. | – 我从没感觉这么好过 – 拜托 少骗人了 |
[00:18] | Look at you. | 看看你 |
[00:19] | – How’s Sylvie? – Sylvie is dead. | – Sylvie怎么样了? – Sylvie死了 |
[00:21] | Fantastic. And the kids? | 很好 孩子们呢? |
[00:24] | Denny, the last time we spoke, you mentioned that despite astronomical odds, | Denny 我们上次见面的时候 你还说尽管难以置信 |
[00:29] | you managed to become yet an even better lawyer. | 你还是成为了一个更棒的律师 |
[00:32] | Hard to believe, isn’t it? | 难以置信 是吧? |
[00:34] | I have a motion which, obviously, I’m quite capable of arguing myself, | 我其实觉得 明显地 我完全可以自我辩护 |
[00:38] | – being more talented than you. – No, you’re not. | – 毕竟我比你更有能力 – 你不是 |
[00:41] | I also happen to be the client. | 我恰巧成了委托人 |
[00:43] | The case is also extremely unconventional. | 涉及的案子也十分特别 |
[00:50] | I want to be frozen. | 我希望被冰冻 |
[00:53] | – What do you mean? – I mean I want to be frozen and stored in a cryonic institute. | – 你什么意思? – 我想被冰冻保存在人体冷冻研究所 |
[01:00] | – What do you mean? – I’m 78 years old. | – 你什么意思? – 我78岁了 |
[01:03] | It won’t be long before my body starts to wither. | 我的身体已经撑不了多久了 |
[01:07] | I’ve lived a full life. | 我尝遍了人生百味 |
[01:08] | The technology will soon exist that I will be able to double that life. | 不久之后的科学能让我继续我的生命 |
[01:13] | I want to be frozen and stored until such time that technology becomes a reality. | 我希望可以被冰冻起来 到这成为现实的那一天再解封 |
[01:22] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思? |
[01:23] | I mean when I leave this world, I don’t want it to be forever. | 我想离开这世界 但不是永远离开 |
[01:28] | Which means for now… | 就是说现在… |
[01:31] | I want to be frozen. | 我想被冰冻 |
[01:35] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思? |
[02:09] | So basically, he wants to be euthanized. | 大致而言就是 他想安乐死 |
[02:12] | And preserved on ice. | 还要冰冻保存 |
[02:14] | Evidently, there’s some right to privacy law I’ve never heard of. | 很明显 这涉及到了一些我没听过的隐私权法 |
[02:18] | Why should you? | 为什么你就要听过? |
[02:20] | It’s in the constitution. | 这是宪法规定的 |
[02:22] | What’s Milton Bombay doing here? | Milton Bombay在这里做什么? |
[02:25] | He wants to be frozen and stored in a cryonics facility. | 他想被冰冻保存在人体冷冻设备里面 |
[02:29] | – All in favor… – And he wants Denny to argue it. | – 一致同意… – 他希望Denny做他的律师 |
[02:33] | And what could possibly occasion him to want that? | 那是什么原因让他想要这么做呢? |
[02:36] | The problem is, the basis of the case, if there is one, would lie in the bill of rights, | 问题在于 这件案子的核心 如果法院愿意受理 将会是和权利法案有关 |
[02:42] | which Denny, of course, feels never should have been passed. | 当然Denny觉得这个法案就不应该通过 |
[02:45] | We’re one supreme court appointment away from overturning it. | 我们是最高法院派来推翻它的 |
[02:49] | – The bill of rights. – Damn right. | – 权利法案 – 该死的权利 |
[02:51] | Red states rule. | 共和党说的算 |
[02:53] | Paul, there seems to be some psychological deficit in play here. | Paul 看起来我们这里有人有点心理缺失啊 |
[02:56] | I refer to Milton’s, not yours. | 我指的是Milton 不是你 |
[02:59] | Any person who wants to be frozen should perhaps | 任何一个想要被冰冻的人 |
[03:01] | be referred to a therapist, not a lawyer. | 应该去找心理医师 而不是律师 |
[03:12] | Hey, pretty boy. | 嘿 帅哥 |
[03:14] | I hear you’re looking for some interesting cases. | 听说你在找一些有意思的案子 |
[03:17] | Chelina Hall. We haven’t officially met. | 我是Chelina Hall 还没正式见过呢 |
[03:20] | Yes, I’ve peeked at you in the girls’ room unofficially. | 你好 我曾私下在女洗手间外偷看过你 |
[03:24] | Cute. | 真会说话 |
[03:26] | Come with me? | 过来吗? |
[03:29] | Stuart Milch, Alan Shore. | Stuart Milch 这是Alan Shore |
[03:33] | A pleasure, sir. Thanks again for agreeing to see me. | 真荣幸 先生 谢谢你愿意见我 |
[03:35] | Not at all, especially since I’ve made no such agreement. | 不客气 尤其是我从来没同意过 |
[03:39] | Show him the gizmo, Stuart. | 给他看你的小发明 Stuart |
[03:45] | Tell him what it is, Stuart. | 告诉他这是什么 Stuart |
[03:47] | It’s called a news blocker. | 这是新闻拦截器 |
[03:49] | Sold off the internet. You attach it to the coaxial input on your television, | 网上卖的很便宜 把它装在电视机的同轴电缆里 |
[03:52] | and it basically blocks news transmissions. | 它就会拦截新闻信号 |
[03:56] | It’s true. | 真的 |
[03:58] | My high school principal attached these devices | 我的高中校长把这个装在 |
[04:01] | to all the televisions in the building. | 楼里每台电视上 |
[04:02] | The problem is, | 问题是 |
[04:04] | it turns out it only blocks one network, the most fair and balanced one. | 它只能拦截一个新闻台 最公正公平的那个 |
[04:08] | – All the others, kids can watch. – It singles out one network only. | – 剩下的台 大家就都能看了 – 只拦截一个新闻台 |
[04:12] | Yes, because this network supposedly pushes a conservative agenda, | 对 因为这个新闻台好像支持保守派 |
[04:15] | which is a lot of hooey. | 简直是胡扯 |
[04:17] | This is blatant censorship. | 这检查制度非常地明目张胆 |
[04:19] | It furthers evidence of a liberal media, and I, for one, am sick of it. | 而且它还转播了一个支持自由党的传媒节目 好恶心 |
[04:25] | In all my years… | 这是我一辈子最讨厌的… |
[04:28] | In all his years. | 他一辈子最讨厌的 |
[04:31] | Milton, I consider you a friend. | Milton 我把你当朋友 |
[04:34] | Actually, I don’t. I find you a bit boorish. | 其实没有 我觉得你有点粗鲁 |
[04:36] | But I have always enjoyed your unfettered candor, | 但是我一直很欣赏你从不受他人影响的坦率 |
[04:40] | and, in the spirit of that candor, the case cannot be won. | 坦率地说 这案子赢不了的 |
[04:46] | Given that this is the only lifetime you’ll ever get to have, | 想到你的生命只有这一次 |
[04:49] | please don’t waste what’s left of it in the vast, | 请不要把剩下的这些时光浪费在 |
[04:51] | cavernous sinkhole known as our system of juris prudence. | 这个像是有着无底深渊的法律体系中 |
[04:55] | I made my life in that system. | 我一生都和这个体系密不可分 |
[04:57] | I rose to the very top of this system. | 成为了这个体系里的佼佼者 |
[05:00] | No, you didn’t. | 你才没有 |
[05:01] | Milton, no judge is going to let you be euthanized and stashed in a sub-zero. | Milton 没有法官会让你安乐死 再冰冻起来的 |
[05:07] | We cannot know that unless we try, Shirley. | Shirley 没试过 怎么知道答案呢 |
[05:11] | I know you recently retired. Is this… | 我知道你最近退休了 是不是… |
[05:13] | And, please, do not proffer psychological counsel. | 拜托 不要让我去看心理医生 |
[05:16] | I came in here in search of legal and intellectual acuity. | 我来这里 是想找到一位合格聪明的律师 |
[05:21] | And you sought out Denny? | 然后你选中了Denny? |
[05:22] | I assure you, this is something I considered with all due gravity. | 我向你保证 经过深思熟虑后 |
[05:27] | I came to a decision, | 我才下了这个决定 |
[05:29] | and now I appeal to you as my attorney to help me execute that decision. | 现在 我委托你作为我的代理律师 帮我实现它 |
[05:36] | Do I make myself clear? | 我说清楚了吗? |
[05:39] | Perfectly. | 非常清楚 |
[05:41] | We’re talking about your execution. | 我们在讨论你的决定 |
[05:58] | – Frozen. – That’s why he’s here? | – 冰冻 – 这就是他出现的原因? |
[06:00] | If there’s any legal research on point, which I doubt there is, the sooner, the better. | 找到相关法律案例 虽然我很怀疑有没有 越快越好 |
[06:04] | By way of analogy, you might want to look at assisted suicide or right to die. | 你们可以从类似涉及到辅助自杀或死亡权的案子入手 |
[06:08] | Brad, you take the math and science because you’re male, | Brad 你找理科方面的 因为你是男性 |
[06:11] | and therefore more innately qualified. | 因此天生适合 |
[06:13] | Anything and everything you can find on cryonics technology. | 所有一切和人体冰冻技术有关的资料都找出来 |
[06:16] | Wait, this firm is actually going to help Milton Bombay be put on ice? | 等下 我们所真的要帮Milton Bombay被冰冻吗? |
[06:20] | Oh, come now, Lori, you of all people should know | 拜托 Lori 你们所有人都应该知道 |
[06:23] | it’s not so bad to go through life as a popsicle. | 过着冰棒一样的日子也没什么不好 |
[06:27] | What is that supposed to mean? | 这是什么意思? |
[06:28] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[06:30] | My, everybody’s so sensitive. | 天啊 大家都这么敏感 |
[06:32] | Can’t we all just get along? | 我们为什么就不能和平相处呢? |
[06:40] | We go to court this morning, so as fast as you can. | 我们今早就去法院 所以越快越好 |
[06:49] | First of all, students have no vested rights whatsoever to watch any news during school. | 首先 学生没有任何法定权利可以在学校里看新闻报道 |
[06:54] | But they are allowed to do so at Winslow High, | 但是在Winslow高中这是允许的 |
[06:55] | except for one network. | 只有一个频道收不到 |
[06:57] | Ms. Tyler, is this particular broadcast being singled out on content? | Tyler女士 真的只有这一个频道被阻止了吗? |
[07:01] | Even if it is, your honor, | 即使是真的 法官大人 |
[07:02] | schools have the right to legislate content, | 学校有权限制所播放的内容 |
[07:05] | just as we can search students’ lockers. | 就像我们可以检查学生的储物柜 |
[07:07] | Objection to the spin, judge. This is a no-spin zone. | 反对这种论调 法官大人 这是个不容扭曲的地带 |
[07:09] | A school principal is not subject to grounds of reasonableness when it comes to policy. | 学校校长制定校规时可以不遵从合理性 |
[07:13] | This is the first amendment in play here. What’s next, burning a few books? | 这涉及了第一修正案(即言论自由) 接下来准备干吗 烧书吗? |
[07:16] | Ms. Tyler, I must say, this has a bad stink to it. | Tyler女生 我必须说 这样很不好 |
[07:20] | How do you ban one network news program and not the others? | 你为什么要只禁止这家电视频道的节目呢? |
[07:23] | The principal felt this particular network was detrimental. | 校长觉得这个频道的节目少儿不宜 |
[07:26] | Well, I want to hear from the principal in this witness chair, | 我想听听坐在证人席里的校长谈谈他的看法 |
[07:29] | or I’m going to grant the petitioner’s motion right now. | 不然我就要立刻同意原告的请求了 |
[07:32] | Fine. I can get him here this afternoon. | 没问题 我让他下午过来 |
[07:34] | We’ll adjourn for lunch. Be back at 4:00. | 午餐休庭 请4点回来 |
[07:39] | There they are! | 他们来了! |
[07:40] | Mr. Bombay, why are you doing this? | Bombay先生 你为什么这样做? |
[07:43] | It’s simply about wanting to continue my legacy for centuries to come. | 很简单 我想让我的遗嘱在很多年后再面世 |
[07:47] | I’m perhaps the greatest lawyer of all time, | 我说不定是有史以来最伟大的律师 |
[07:50] | No, he’s not. I’m better. Denny Crane. | 他才不是 我比他更好 我是Denny Crane |
[07:51] | and I want that time to continue into the future. | 我希望我在将来也是最伟大的 |
[07:54] | How are you, sweetie? Still the king. | 你好吗 亲爱的? 风采依旧啊 |
[07:56] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[07:59] | Mr. Bombay, you are asking for a court order to end your life. | Bombay先生 您要求法庭结束你的生命 |
[08:04] | Under today’s science, | 考虑到现有的科学技术 |
[08:06] | – tomorrow might be quite different. – But, sir, let’s be realistic. | – 以后可能会很不一样 – 但是 先生 现实点 |
[08:10] | What the hell do I have to be realistic? It’s my body. | 我干嘛要现实? 这可是我的身体啊 |
[08:13] | What do I have to do, get pregnant? | 我应该做什么 怀孕吗? |
[08:16] | Well, you may be couching this in pro-life terms, | 你可以用反堕胎的术语来表达自己的意思 |
[08:19] | but in today’s scientific world, being frozen makes you dead. | 但是在现有的科技条件下 冰冻意味着你要死了 |
[08:25] | I am asking for the chance to be alive in tomorrow’s world. | 我在要求获得在未来生存的机会 |
[08:29] | To play with my great-great-great-great-grandchildren. | 可以和我的曾曾曾曾孙们一起玩 |
[08:34] | Do you have grandchildren today? | 你现在有孙子吗? |
[08:37] | I’ve got six, all grown. | 有六个 都成人了 |
[08:39] | Three of them love me. | 他们里面有三个人爱我 |
[08:41] | Suppose one of them came into the court at, say, the age of 30 | 假设他们中有一个人 在30岁的时候走进法庭 |
[08:45] | asking to be frozen. | 要求被冰冻 |
[08:46] | I’d say wait. You’ve got a lot of years. | 我会说等等 你还有很长的寿命 |
[08:49] | Well, but maybe they, too, would like it done before their body starts to go south, | 好吧 但是也许他们也觉得在身体衰老前都想这么做 |
[08:53] | which, at 30, it can. | 比如30岁的时候 |
[08:55] | Look, I don’t advocate this for young, healthy people. | 我不提倡健康的年轻人这样做 |
[08:59] | But certainly, if you can decide for yourself, so should others, right? | 但是当然了 既然你可以决定自己的命运 那别人也可以的 对吧? |
[09:03] | I’m close to 80. | 我快80了 |
[09:05] | My life is almost over. | 我的人生差不多就这样了 |
[09:07] | Does one have to be old to get this autonomy? | 难道只有年长者才能自己做主吗? |
[09:10] | How about somebody 35 with cancer? | 那如果说是有人35岁得了癌症呢? |
[09:12] | If it was incurable, yes. | 如果是绝症 可以 |
[09:15] | Parkinson’s disease. M.S. | 帕金森综合症 或是多发性硬化症 |
[09:18] | What if somebody wanted to get frozen to avoid the draft? | 如果有人想被冰冻是因为不想服兵役呢? |
[09:21] | Let him move to Canada. Freeze his balls off. | 那就让它去加拿大吧 把他的子弹冻起来(加拿大人不服兵役) |
[09:27] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[09:34] | – Why did you do that? – You were getting picked apart in there. | – 你为什么要那么做呢? – 你那会儿招架无力了 |
[09:36] | – I was not. I was doing just fine. – I had to stop the other side’s momentum. | – 我没有 我做得很好 – 我必须阻止对手的势头 |
[09:39] | – He was shooting spitballs at a battleship. – Boys. | – 他在小题大做 – 你们俩 |
[09:40] | I was having a real moment in there, and you stepped on it. | 我正要做出反击 你坏了我的好事 |
[09:43] | Boys, we need to get back to the office and prepare our expert. | 男孩们 我们要回办公室 找到专家 |
[09:47] | – He stepped on my moment. – Did not. – Boys. | – 他坏了我的好事 – 才没有 – 你们 |
[10:01] | Cryonics proponents don’t refer to the patient as “dead,” | 人体冷冻学的支持者们并不认为病人”死亡”了 |
[10:05] | simply “preserved.” | 只是”保存起来”了 |
[10:06] | – Frozen. – Yes. | – 冰冻 – 是的 |
[10:08] | But, doctor, if a person’s heart isn’t beating, if there’s no brain activity, | 但是 医生 如果一个人的心脏停止跳动 大脑停止思考 |
[10:13] | we tend to call them dead. | 我们就会说他死了 |
[10:15] | Under today’s medical definition, yes. But the definition of cryonics | 根据现在的医学定义 是这样 但是人体冰冻学的定义 |
[10:18] | is basically a process using a very cold temperature to prevent people from dying. | 说这只是在极低的温度下维持人们生命的过程 |
[10:22] | Where’d we get this quack? | 哪来的庸医? |
[10:26] | Uh, doctor, let’s be fair. | 医生 说真的 |
[10:29] | Has anyone ever been brought back to life after being frozen? | 到目前 有没有人在冰冻后又恢复意识的? |
[10:32] | No, and it’s not likely to happen soon, but the technology is changing. | 没有 而且近期内也是不可能发生的 但是科技在进步 |
[10:37] | We’re discovering more and more about molecular nanotechnology every day, | 我们也一直在研究分子纳米技术 |
[10:40] | and one day, it will be a reality. | 总有一天 这会实现的 |
[10:42] | Molecular what? | 分子什么? |
[10:45] | One second, doctor. | 稍等下 医生 |
[10:48] | Denny, I’m gonna try something here I don’t have time to explain. | Denny 我要在这里做个试验 没时间跟你解释了 |
[10:51] | I just need you to go with it, okay? | 我需要你的支持 好吗? |
[10:54] | I want you to count backwards from 100 silently. | 从100开始往前默数 |
[10:57] | Why? | 为什么? |
[10:59] | I’ll explain later. It’s important. | 一会儿再解释 这很重要 |
[11:02] | Uh, 99, 98… | 好 99 98… |
[11:07] | Okay, doctor, | 好的 医生 |
[11:09] | we’ve heard that cryonics is in our future, but, please, give me one example, | 我们知道了人体冰冻学在未来会实现的 但是 请举出一个例子 |
[11:15] | one piece of evidence that indicates that this could possibly work. | 来证明这项技术是可行的 |
[11:20] | The wood frog. | 树蛙 |
[11:21] | I’m sorry. Did you say wood frog? | 抱歉 你刚刚是说树蛙吗? |
[11:23] | Uh, yes. | 对 |
[11:24] | A frog in the Canadian arctic that hibernates and completely freezes in the winter. | 一种生活在加拿大北极地区 会在冬季冬眠 把自己彻底冰冻起来的青蛙 |
[11:28] | No heartbeat, no brain activity. It goes completely dead | 没有心跳 没有大脑活动 按照现在对死亡的定义 |
[11:32] | by today’s definition of death. | 它彻底死亡 |
[11:34] | Then in the spring, it wakens. | 春天的时候 它就苏醒了 |
[11:36] | Brain activity resumes, heart starts beating. | 大脑开始活动 心脏开始跳动 |
[11:38] | It’s alive again. | 它又活过来了 |
[11:40] | And you think if it’s possible for a frog… | 您觉得 既然青蛙可以这样… |
[11:43] | Why not for a human? | 为什么人类不行呢? |
[11:45] | If we can accomplish total metabolic arrest with no tissue damage, | 如果我们能确保人体的新陈代谢不受组织损伤 |
[11:48] | we will be able to freeze people for thousands of years | 我们就可以将人们冰冻上千年 |
[11:51] | and bring them back to life. | 再让他们苏醒 |
[11:54] | Thank you, doctor. | 谢谢你 医生 |
[11:56] | Humans are warm-blooded animals designed to stay at 98 degrees. | 人类是恒温动物 人体温度是98华氏度 |
[12:00] | Those frogs are cold-blooded with a completely different molecular structure. | 那些青蛙是冷血动物 它们的分子结构和人体完全不同 |
[12:04] | Well, admittedly, the future of cryonics | 不可否认 人体冰冻学的发展 |
[12:06] | involves the development of molecular technology. | 包括了分子技术的进步 |
[12:07] | For which there is no evidence it can work with warm-blooded… | 但是 没有证据证明它对恒温动物一样有效… |
[12:10] | Yes, there is. | 其实有 |
[12:11] | We have frozen rat livers, thawed them, and transplanted them into living rats. | 我们曾经冰冻过老鼠的肝脏 再解冻 再移植到活的老鼠体内 |
[12:15] | In Israel, they did it with frozen hearts. | 在以色列 有人用心脏做过类似实验 |
[12:17] | In both cases, the rats lived. Not for long, | 两个实验里 老鼠们都活下来了 虽然时间不长 |
[12:20] | but the hearts and livers did come back to life. | 但是心脏和肝脏确实发挥了自己的功用 |
[12:22] | With humans, we’ve frozen heart valves… | 至于人类 我们曾经冰冻过心脏瓣膜… |
[12:23] | And you think the idea of freezing people is ethical? | 你觉得冰冻人们的这种想法是符合伦理的? |
[12:27] | – Is that consistent with… – It’s evidently ethical to freeze embryos, | – 它和… – 它和冰冻胚胎一样合理 |
[12:30] | but again, I’m up here to give you the science, | 但是 再申明一次 我来是为了告诉你科学 |
[12:33] | not engage in a moral debate. | 而不是来辩论伦理道德观的 |
[12:49] | He kicked their ass. | 他让他们无话可说 |
[12:51] | And the best part of it was he had integrity, | 最棒的是 他表现的很正直 |
[12:55] | which is what you need in your expert. | 这正是我们需要他表现出来的 |
[12:57] | – What did he cost us? – $2,500. | – 给了他多少钱? – 2500美元 |
[12:59] | The whore. | 贱人 |
[13:00] | – Schmidt. – How are we doing? | – Schmidt – 怎么样了? |
[13:02] | The leading federal case would be Schiavo. | 联邦政府的案子应该是Schiavo |
[13:04] | It’s not first circuit, but since the supreme court | 这不是第一次巡回审讯 但是因为最高法院 |
[13:06] | just refused to hear the appeal, we could argue it’s controlling. | 驳回了上诉 我们可以辩论说幕后有人操控 |
[13:09] | I want to read it. Can you make me a copy? | 我要看看 帮我复印一份 |
[13:10] | – You want to read it, Denny? – Hell no. | – 你要看吗 Denny? – 当然不 |
[13:13] | Uh, can I talk to you in private for a second, please? | 我能单独和你说几句话吗? |
[13:22] | I, uh… | 我… |
[13:23] | I didn’t want to embarrass you in front of your superiors, | 我不想让你在上司面前尴尬 |
[13:27] | but it seems to me the controlling case on this would be Cruzan. | 但是我觉得这案件应该是Cruzan在操控 |
[13:32] | The whole thrust of Rehnquist’s opinion was autonomy, | Rehnquist认为审判的核心就是自主权 |
[13:36] | the patient’s right to decide. | 病人有权做决定 |
[13:39] | The opinion was muddled. It was essentially 3-pronged. | 简直胡扯 这是三方问题 |
[13:41] | Autonomy, the patient’s best interests, and the state’s interest to preserve life. | 自主权 病人最大利益 和国家保护个体的义务 |
[13:45] | You’d win on prong one, | 你会赢得第一方的胜利 |
[13:47] | but you’d likely lose on prongs two and three. | 但是第二方第三方你却要输了 |
[13:50] | You’re much better off arguing Schiavo. | 你最好去和Schiavo辩论吧 |
[13:54] | – Mr. Bombay. – Yes? | – Bombay先生 – 怎么? |
[13:57] | – Are you all right? – Oh, yes. | – 你还好吗? – 好着呢 |
[13:59] | Uh, it’s just that you brought me back to a memory of… | 只是你让我想起了… |
[14:05] | I think I was happiest as a lawyer when I was a young associate. | 我觉得我律师生涯中最快乐的时候就是做小助理的时候 |
[14:11] | I hated doing all the grunt work, | 讨厌无聊的整理工作 |
[14:14] | but there was all the promise of tomorrow. | 但那却是未来成功的希望 |
[14:23] | Would you have dinner with me tonight, Tara? | 你今晚可以和我吃饭吗 Tara? |
[14:26] | Milton… | Milton啊… |
[14:30] | Why don’t you have it with me? | 为什么不和我吃呢? |
[14:37] | Why this one particular network? | 为什么是这家的电视频道? |
[14:39] | Look, I know that all the networks pander, | 我知道 所有电视频道都有自己支持的阵营 |
[14:41] | some to the liberal, some to the conservative, | 有的支持自由党 有的支持保守党 |
[14:43] | but when a news organization goes as far as to actually promote a political agenda… | 但是如果有新闻公司在推动政治进程… |
[14:47] | Can I dial you back a second? How do they do that? | 能不能打断一下? 他们是怎么做到的? |
[14:49] | Well, first, the broadcasts speak for themselves. | 首先 广播公司有自己的利益 |
[14:51] | Their CEO used to be the chief media operative for former republican presidents. | 他们的CEO曾为前共和党主席做过首席媒体工作 |
[14:55] | I object to his open mind, judge. | 我反对他的猜测 法官阁下 |
[14:58] | – Move to strike. – Sustained. | – 请求忽视 – 同意 |
[15:00] | And then when I saw the documentary “Outfoxed,” it blew my mind. | 当我看到纪录片”Outfoxed”(讲述福克斯内幕) 我十分震惊 |
[15:04] | – Because… – Because it detailed the extent to which the media can go to promote | – 因为… – 因为它详细们描述了媒体是如何推动 |
[15:08] | conservative republican causes. | 保守的共和党的 |
[15:11] | Your honor, we’d like to show you a brief series of clips from this documentary. | 法官大人 我有一份该记录片的剪辑片段呈上 |
[15:15] | We weren’t necessarily, as it was told to us, | 就像是一开始就被告知的那样 我们并不是 |
[15:19] | a news-gathering organization so much as we were | 一个新闻搜集机构 而是 |
[15:22] | a proponent of a point of view. | 一种观点的陈述者 |
[15:24] | They wanted all news to be a matter of opinion. | 他们希望所有的新闻都陈述一种观点 |
[15:26] | We were ordered from the top to carry propaganda, | 上级指示我们进行政治宣传 |
[15:30] | carry republican right-wing propaganda. | 为共和党右翼进行宣传 |
[15:32] | It was made very clear to us that our activities were being monitored, | 我们被明确告知 我们的活动被监控 |
[15:37] | and if someone wasn’t watching it live, they were at least recording it, | 就算没人进行实时监控 他们也会都录下来 |
[15:40] | and they would review it after the fact to see what we did. | 回头再看我们究竟做了什么 |
[15:44] | If you watch the documentary, and I strongly suggest that you do, | 如果您看了这部纪录片 我强烈推荐您看一下 |
[15:48] | you’ll see that this goes on and on and on, | 您会看到 这种情况一直持续发生 |
[15:50] | and these accounts are from people on the inside. | 这些话都是内部人员说出来的 |
[15:53] | Okay, but to put a device on the television? | 好吧 但是在电视上安装设备呢? |
[15:56] | Well, I hate the idea of shutting down free expression, | 我不支持禁止言论自由 |
[15:58] | but this became more of a safety issue. | 但这却是考虑到安全问题 |
[16:01] | A safety issue? | 安全问题? |
[16:02] | They’ve got their talk show hosts declaring that anyone who is opposed | 他们的脱口秀主持人全都说 任何反对战争的人 |
[16:06] | to the war is an enemy of the state, a traitor. | 都是国家的敌人 是叛国 |
[16:08] | We’re getting more and more fights, kids are being attacked for being unpatriotic, | 学校里的冲突越来越多 孩子们因为不爱国而受到攻击 |
[16:12] | Arab and muslim students are being targeted. | 阿拉伯裔和穆斯林学生尤其是众矢之的 |
[16:14] | Maybe this little device is overkill. | 也许这个小玩意儿是有些夸张了 |
[16:16] | I admit that. But I’ve got a high school to run, | 我承认 但是作为高中校长 |
[16:19] | and the first order of the day is keep the kids safe. | 我的首要任务是保证学生的安全 |
[16:23] | I thought the first order of an academic community was embracing diversity of opinion. | 我认为一个学术机构的首要任务是培养思想的多样性 |
[16:29] | Not when it’s bias that fosters intolerance. | 那是在偏见可容忍的情况下 |
[16:32] | Did you attach any little blockers | 那你有没有用这个小玩意 |
[16:35] | to networks that lie about presidents and, say, the national guard? | 组织过歪曲总统或是国家安全的广播公司? |
[16:39] | I don’t dispute there’s a liberal bias, too. | 我也不否认我对自由党存在偏见 |
[16:41] | But you don’t censor those networks. | 但是你没有检查过那些节目 |
[16:43] | Those networks don’t foster intolerance. | 那些节目没有过于偏激的言论 |
[16:45] | Any blockers for Shock Jocks? | 有没有阻止过Shock Jocks(研究种族歧视和厌女症)? |
[16:47] | Or is racism and misogyny not a concern? | 或者种族歧视和厌女症并不值得关注? |
[16:48] | Look, there’s a lot of garbage out there. I’ll admit that. | 确实 有很多垃圾节目 我承认 |
[16:51] | What about your own teachers? | 那学校的老师呢? |
[16:53] | My teachers? | 老师? |
[16:54] | A recent poll showed 6 out of 7 college professors voted for John Kerry. | 一项近期调查显示七分之六的大学教授支持John Kerry |
[16:59] | Does that not suggest a bias in academia, Mr. Harper? | 难道这不会产生学术偏见吗 Harper先生? |
[17:01] | – Objection. – We’ve got countless news programs, | – 反对 – 我们有很多新闻节目 |
[17:05] | too many talk shows to keep track of, all kinds of opinions being | 根本没办法审查那么多的脱口秀 各种观念 |
[17:10] | spewed out over the airwaves, extremes to the left, to the right, | 通过这传播 极左派或是极右派 |
[17:14] | – and the only thing you block… – That’s actually not true. | – 你唯一阻止的是… – 其实不是那样 |
[17:17] | There’s all kinds of programs we don’t permit. | 我们不允许的节目有很多 |
[17:19] | But this is the only news show. | 但这是唯一的新闻节目 |
[17:20] | Look, what does it say that they make a device | 他们制作了这样一套设备 |
[17:23] | to block out this particular news network? | 阻止这家新闻公司的节目播出是什么意思呢? |
[17:25] | It says that censorship is popular. That doesn’t make it right. | 说明了审查行为普遍存在 但这并不是说那就是对的 |
[17:28] | And as principal, I have to make that call. | 作为校长 我必须负起责任 |
[17:31] | And let me say this. I’m a proud American. | 请让我这么说 我是个骄傲的美国人 |
[17:34] | I got a flag on my porch. | 我的走廊里挂着国旗 |
[17:36] | I pray for those troops every night. I taught some of those kids. | 我每晚都在为我们的军队祈祷 我也让学生们这么做 |
[17:40] | They’re over there fighting for democracy, | 他们在远方为民主而战 |
[17:42] | which includes the right for you to question your government. | 为了允许你向政府质询的权利而战 |
[17:45] | And for this network to be saying otherwise offends me as a citizen and as a principal. | 这个广播公司的做法 激怒了作为一位公民和一名校长的我 |
[17:50] | I see. So… | 明白了 所以… |
[17:53] | you’re squashing content to promote democracy. | 您以打压节目来推进民主进程 |
[17:59] | Once again, | 再说一遍 |
[18:01] | I will shut down any content that fosters intolerance. | 我会关掉任何不利于稳定的节目 |
[18:06] | That is where I stand. | 这就是我的立场 |
[18:35] | You’re going to dinner with him? | 你要和他共进晚餐? |
[18:37] | I want to find out what’s really going on here. | 我想知道究竟怎么回事 |
[18:39] | What’s going on is a runaway ego. It’s all about the spotlight. | 我们刚赢的十分轻松 就是这么回事 我们是目光焦点 |
[18:44] | The man wishes he were me. | 那人希望他是我 |
[18:46] | We all wish that, Denny. | 我们都这么希望 Denny |
[18:48] | I know. I, I go way back with Milton. | 我知道 我和Milton认识很久了 |
[18:51] | I know Milton like the back of my hand. | 我对他了若指掌 |
[18:55] | He knows he’s gonna lose that motion. No risk of him being frozen. | 他知道他会输掉的 法庭不会让他被冰冻的 |
[18:59] | In the meantime, he’s all over the news. | 同时 他又是新闻的焦点 |
[19:03] | I’m telling you, the man wants to be me. | 说真的 他想变成我 |
[19:07] | Even so, I’m gonna have a little talk with him. | 即使这样 我也要和他聊聊 |
[19:09] | He’s gonna insist you go to Nicky Blair’s. Watch. | 他会坚持要和你去Nicky Blair的 看着吧 |
[19:13] | – Sorry? – He pays them to let him sing. | – 什么? – 他给他们出钱让自己唱歌 |
[19:16] | I beg your pardon? | 再说一遍好吗? |
[19:17] | He slips the maitre d’ 100 bucks to come over to the table and say, | 他给领班100块让他走到桌边说 |
[19:20] | “Please, Mr. Bombay, sing us a song.” | “拜托 Bombay先生 给我们唱一首歌吧” |
[19:23] | It’s all about the limelight with Milton. | 这就是Milton一直是瞩目中心的原因 |
[19:26] | I promise you. | 我向你保证 |
[19:31] | What do you mean, lose? | 你说输了 是什么意思? |
[19:32] | We’re on the side of the First Amendment. | 我们有第一修正案的支持 |
[19:35] | The problem is, school principals do have a wide discretion, | 问题是 学校校长确实有很大的自主权 |
[19:39] | and the material is arguably inflammatory. | 而且内容也极有煽动性 |
[19:42] | If they can classify them as disruptive speech… | 他们可以说那是制造混乱的演讲… |
[19:46] | Plus, I don’t know which newscast you’ve been watching recently, | 再说 我不知道你最近比较看什么台 |
[19:50] | but the First Amendment is losing its luster lately. | 但是第一法案最近不那么受重视了 |
[19:53] | Some networks are even censoring their scripted dramas. | 有些电台甚至在检查他们已经编好的剧本 |
[19:56] | So what do we go with if not freedom of expression? | 那如果不是说言论自由 那我们怎么做? |
[20:00] | Meanwhile, actor Vince Odoms, you know him as the judge | 同时 演员Vince Odoms 因为饰演 |
[20:03] | in the Michael Jackson reenactment trial, | 迈克尔杰克逊的再审案中的法官被人熟知 |
[20:05] | has abruptly quit to go play Phil Spector | 他突然辞退 反而加入在原公司的竞争对手 |
[20:09] | in the reenactment of that trial on a competing network. | 的节目中扮演法官Phil Spector一角 |
[20:12] | FBS president Rick Silverman is threatening to sue, | FBS的主席Rick Silverman威胁要起诉他 |
[20:16] | claiming the actor is under contract, | 声称他还在合约期内 |
[20:18] | and that it would be a material breach to walk in the middle of ongoing litigation. | 对于进行中的诉讼来说 这是实质性违约(即对方当事人可免于继续履行合同) |
[20:23] | Meanwhile, it was learned today that the Los Angeles county sheriff’s office… | 同时 据称今天洛杉矶县治安官办公室… |
[20:34] | So what’s the point? | 意义是什么? |
[20:37] | – The point? – Of us having dinner. | – 意义? – 咱们一起晚餐的意义 |
[20:39] | What’s the point? | 有什么意义? |
[20:40] | If it’s sexual, I’ll need notice so I can take my little pill. | 如果是为了性 你应该提前说清楚 这样我就会吃我的小药丸了 |
[20:44] | You asked to have dinner with Tara. | 你邀请Tara共进晚餐 |
[20:46] | – What was the point of that? – With her, I wouldn’t need a pill. | – 那又有什么意义呢? – 和她在一起的话 我就不用吃药了 |
[20:50] | You’ve talked a wonderful game about the future, | 你对未来进行了美好的设想 |
[20:53] | about wanting to perpetuate your legacy into the next century. | 你提到你想要延续自己的生命 直到下个世纪 |
[20:57] | But when you were talking to Tara, what I observed was… | 但是当你和Tara说话的时候 我看到的是… |
[21:02] | a man looking backwards, a man who, perhaps, is lonely. | 一个沉湎于过去 一个也许很孤独的人 |
[21:07] | You’ve got it wrong. | 你看错了 |
[21:10] | I saw melancholy, Milton, | 我看到了忧郁 Milton |
[21:12] | and melancholy accompanied by the desire to be dead. | 因为想要死去而生出的忧郁感 |
[21:17] | Is this Milton Bombay looking to check out in a way | 是不是Milton Bombay想通过这种方式死去 |
[21:20] | that doesn’t tarnish his grand reputation? | 却不会毁掉他光辉的形象呢? |
[21:24] | Denny thinks you don’t want to win this case, | Denny觉得你不想赢这官司 |
[21:27] | which would explain your hiring him, but you also hired me. | 所以你不仅雇了他 也雇了我 |
[21:31] | You lost your wife, your job… | 你失去了自己的妻子 工作… |
[21:35] | Are you just giving up, Milton? | Milton 你要放弃了吗? |
[21:37] | Let me tell you something. | 我来告诉你 |
[21:39] | As science and medicine continue to evolve, so must the law to keep pace. | 科学和医学在发展 法律也必须与时俱进 |
[21:45] | I’m blazing the trail as a patient today so I can continue to set | 今天我以病人的身份开了这个先例 |
[21:48] | the standard as a lawyer tomorrow. | 明天我就能以律师的身份制定标准 |
[21:51] | – That’s what this is about. – Okay. | – 这就是我这么做的原因 – 好吧 |
[21:54] | Mr. Bombay, the band and some of the patrons | Bombay先生 乐队和一些客人 |
[21:57] | have requested that you grace us with a song tonight. | 希望您今晚能为我们唱首歌 |
[21:58] | Yes, tell them to vamp. She’s making eyes. | 好的 告诉他们伴奏的歌曲是She’s Making Eyes |
[22:00] | – I’ll be right up, Walter. – Excellent. Thank you, sir. | – 我马上就好了 Walter – 太好了 谢谢您 先生 |
[22:03] | I happen to believe in reincarnation, and I also believe things even out. | 我开始相信轮回 我也相信事情是平等的 |
[22:08] | Given the hand I was dealt this time, | 想到这辈子我的成就 |
[22:10] | I could be in for some serious hardships in the next go-around, | 再下一个轮回里我也许会饱经磨难 |
[22:14] | and I don’t want that in my next life. | 我不想让我的来世再受苦 |
[22:17] | I want to be me all over again, Milton Bombay. | 我希望可以一直做为Milton Bombay活着 |
[22:23] | Got it. | 明白 |
[22:25] | Ladies and gentlemen, a treat. | 先生们 女士们 特别优待 |
[22:26] | A special guest performance from that legendary barrister Milton Bombay! | 接下来一位特殊的客人给我们带来的表演 有请传奇大律师Milton Bombay! |
[22:37] | Thank you, thank you. Good to be here, folks. | 谢谢 谢谢大家 很高兴站在这里 |
[22:40] | Here’s one of my favorites. I hope it’s one of yours, too. | 这是我最喜欢的一首歌 希望你们也喜欢 |
[22:48] | # Ma, she’s making eyes at me # | # 妈 她在注视着我 # |
[22:53] | # Ma, she’s awful nice to me # | # 妈 她对我好极了 # |
[22:57] | # Ma, she’s almost breaking my heart # | # 妈 她几乎使我心碎 # |
[23:02] | # I’m beside her # | # 我在她的身边 # |
[23:04] | # Mercy, let her conscience guide her # | # 上帝啊 让她的良知指引她 # |
[23:06] | # Ma, she wants to marry me # | # 妈 她想嫁给我 # |
[23:10] | # be my honeybee # | # 当我的爱人 # |
[23:15] | # every minute she gets bolder # | # 每一分钟她都变得更加大胆 # |
[23:17] | # now she’s leaning on my shoulder # | # 现在她靠在我的肩上 # |
[23:19] | # Ma, she’s kissing me # | # 妈 她在吻我 # |
[23:33] | What do you mean you’re closing? | 你说你来做结案陈词是什么意思? |
[23:35] | – What happened to Shirley? – Milton, | – Shirley为什么不做? – Milton |
[23:37] | there’s a reason you came to me in the first place. | 当初你来找我是有原因的 |
[23:39] | In your gut, you know I’m better than you. | 在你心里 你知道我比你强 |
[23:42] | – Go with your gut. – I’d sooner go with my intestine. | – 跟着你的感觉(也有肠子的意思)走 – 过不了多久我就会跟着我的肠子走了 |
[23:45] | – I’d prefer Shirley doing the closing. – I’m not doing it, | – 我希望Shirley做结案 – 我不会做的 |
[23:49] | – and neither are you. – Oh, really? | – 你也不行 – 哦 真的么? |
[23:52] | – Tammy? – Tara. | – 是Tammy? – 是Tara |
[23:54] | As I said from the start, the law doesn’t support us here. | 就像我一开始说的 这次法律不站在我们这边 |
[23:58] | If we’re going to get a court order allowing you to die, | 如果我们拿到法庭的命令让你去死 |
[24:00] | which would be the result in today’s world, | 这是现在会发生的事情 |
[24:02] | that judge is going to have to hear from you. | 法官需要亲自听你这么说 |
[24:04] | – He did hear from me. – I don’t think so. | – 但他已经听过了啊 – 我可不这么认为 |
[24:08] | If this is only about you getting to perpetuate your legacy in the next century, | 如果你只是想自己在下一个世纪里继续永垂不朽的话 |
[24:13] | I’m afraid you’re gonna have to make do with sustaining it in this one. | 我想你需要找到更有力的的论据来支持你的想法 |
[24:17] | You need to do better. | 你要加把劲 |
[24:18] | And, Milton, for my money, | 还有 Milton 在我看来 |
[24:20] | any guy who is asking to get stuck in a freezer isn’t that desperate to live. | 想要冷冻保存人体的人是没有那么强烈的求生欲望的 |
[24:34] | Every major media watchdog group has labeled this news program | 每个主流媒体的狗仔队都在关注这个新节目 |
[24:38] | as the most biased, right-wing news program on television. | 就像电视上大多片面的 右翼新闻节目一样 |
[24:42] | So what? Political bias is rampant throughout the news business, | 那又怎么样? 在新闻产业里有政治偏向的现象是很猖獗的 |
[24:45] | including liberal bias. | 也包括支持自由党派 |
[24:47] | We’re not talking about just a slant, judge. | 我们并不仅仅在谈论一个片面的报道 法官大人 |
[24:49] | A recent poll showed that the more people watched this news show, | 最近的一项调查显示 越多人收看这个新闻节目 |
[24:53] | the less they know about foreign policy | 他们越不知道对外政策 |
[24:56] | and the more inclined they are to support the government. | 也就更支持我们的政府 |
[24:58] | Now, that may be good team spirit, but it’s disgraceful journalism. | 现在 这也许是一种好的团队精神 但是这是新闻业的耻辱 |
[25:03] | But, come on, you talk about a democracy. | 不过 拜托 你在讨论民主 |
[25:04] | What kind of principal censors free expression? | 什么样的校长会限制言论自由呢? |
[25:07] | Um, your honor, if I may? | 唔 法官大人 我可以说说么? |
[25:10] | Any principal has the right, if not the obligation, | 所有的校长都有权利 而不是由于责任 |
[25:12] | to rail against bias wherever he sees it. | 纠正他所看到的任何偏见 |
[25:14] | – You saw that tape. – Which was also biased and self-serving. | – 您看到那个录像了 – 那个也很片面 自说自话 |
[25:17] | Their most popular commentator threatens retribution against those who dissent. | 他们最受欢迎的评论员还放话说 反对者会受到报应 |
[25:22] | It almost rises to the level of hate speech, | 这差不多已经可以说是敌视性语言了 |
[25:24] | and if, in my view, it jeopardizes the welfare of the students, | 而且在我看来 这损害了学生的福利 |
[25:28] | I certainly have the authority to shut it down. | 我当然有权力拦截它了 |
[25:34] | Mr. Shore, this is a school. | Shore先生 这是学校 |
[25:37] | Is it wise to expose students to programs which send the message | 向学生传播如果你质疑政府 那你就是叛国的 |
[25:41] | you’re anti-American if you question the government? | 这种想法是否明智呢? |
[25:44] | Your honor, before we convict them as the network of conservative values | 法官阁下 在我们证明保守观或任何价值观 |
[25:47] | or any values, for that matter, | 的传播之前 就那件事而言 |
[25:50] | let’s remember these are the folks who brought you | 他们有带给我们 |
[25:52] | “Joe, Billy, and Aaron, who’s your papa?” | “Joe Billy和Aaron谁是你的爸爸?”这样的节目 |
[25:54] | That’s the entertainment division, Mr. Shore. I’m talking about the news. | 那是娱乐圈 Shore先生 我在说的是新闻 |
[25:58] | And I’m telling you it’s all the same. This isn’t about political content. | 我必须说它们都是一样的 和政治内涵无关 |
[26:01] | This is a corporation looking to make money. | 这是一个以盈利为目标的企业 |
[26:04] | They began as alternative news programming to grab a market share | 它们刚开始用一个非传统的新闻节目来获取市场占有率 |
[26:08] | they saw ratings and profit in a conservative demographic, | 它们看到了保守党统计出的利润和利润率 |
[26:11] | and they’ve been waving the flag ever since, and so what? | 于是它们就支持保守党 那又怎样? |
[26:14] | News today, all of it, is infotainment. | 现在 所有的新闻都是资讯娱乐 |
[26:17] | Last February, a deadly toxin known as ricin was found in the mailroom | 去年二月 参议院多数党领袖的邮政室里检测到 |
[26:22] | of the Senate Majority Leader. | 一种致命毒素 篦麻毒素 |
[26:24] | Headline news led with Janet Jackson’s exposed breast. | 头条新闻却是Janet Jackson的露点装 |
[26:27] | A month ago, while we’re in the middle of a war, | 一个月前 我们的军队还在战争中 |
[26:30] | newscasts all across the country led with prince Harry’s costume at a keg party. | 全国的新闻却都在关注哈里王子在名人聚会上的穿着 |
[26:34] | It’s a business. | 这就是商业 |
[26:35] | And while some news groups go with the deeper social issues | 有的新闻媒体会讨论更深刻的社会话题 |
[26:39] | like Brad and Jennifer’s breakup, | 比如说皮特和珍妮弗的分手事件 |
[26:41] | the one here chooses to run with red, white, and blue. | 这家公司却选择报道时事 |
[26:44] | And, by the way, before you vilify them, | 而且 你给它们扣下罪名之前 |
[26:46] | a survey done in 2002 revealed that 70% of the people in this country | 2002年的一项调查显示 全国70%的民众 |
[26:52] | believe it is good when news organizations take a strong, pro-American point of view. | 都觉得新闻机构应当全力支持美国 |
[26:59] | – 70%. – Does that make it right? | – 70%呢 – 这样就可以那么做了吗? |
[27:01] | Of course it makes it right. | 当然可以了 |
[27:03] | Because the rule in infotainment is “give the people what they want.” | 因为资讯娱乐的宗旨就是”带给人们他们所需要的” |
[27:07] | This is money, not politics. | 这和金钱有关 和政治无关 |
[27:10] | Let me say, I am a great lover of the news. | 不得不说 我非常喜欢看新闻 |
[27:13] | – I can see that. – I watch it all. | – 可以看出来 – 什么新闻我都看 |
[27:16] | On days like 9/11 or for other world-changing events, | 在911或其他可以改变世界形势的时候 |
[27:20] | the news programs are nothing short of spectacular. | 那些新闻节目简直令人惊叹 |
[27:25] | When Martin Luther King delivered “I have a dream,” | 当马丁·路德金发表演讲”我有一个梦想” |
[27:29] | when president Kennedy was shot, | 当肯尼迪总统被枪杀 |
[27:32] | when we walked on the moon, | 当我们登上月球 |
[27:33] | the Tet Offensive, | 还有春节攻势(越战的一次战役) |
[27:35] | our lives are shaped by these events, in part because of the news. | 我们的生活被这些事件所影响 部分是因为新闻的传播 |
[27:40] | But on all other days, they’re businesses | 但是在别的时候 新闻就是商业 |
[27:44] | looking to compete, like anybody else, in a highly competitive marketplace. | 一直在竞争 像别的在竞争激烈的环境中行业一样 |
[27:48] | They sell product. | 他们出售商品 |
[27:50] | And even if you’re determined to believe | 即使你坚定认为 |
[27:53] | that this particular network is some evil empire looking to spread right-wing propaganda, | 这个频道是个传播右翼思想的邪恶组织 |
[27:58] | that still doesn’t change the fact that we are in this room today | 那也不能改变我们今天会在这里 |
[28:01] | because a principal is shutting down the expression of ideas, | 是因为一位校长仅因不赞同某一观点 |
[28:05] | simply because he disagrees with the content. | 就要禁止某观点的传播这一事实 |
[28:10] | If anything needs a champion today, | 如果这需要什么支持 |
[28:13] | it’s the First Amendment. | 那就是第一修正案 |
[28:16] | In a recent poll, | 近期的投票显示 |
[28:17] | half of today’s high school students | 现在半数的高中生 |
[28:20] | thought newspapers should get government approval of stories before publishing them. | 都认为报纸在刊登报道前应当获得政府的许可 |
[28:25] | The First Amendment has become an endangered species, | 第一修正案的接受度开始下降 |
[28:29] | and here, we have a high school principal practicing censorship. | 然后 我们就碰到了这位正在践行检查制度的校长 |
[28:36] | My, my. | 我的天啊 |
[28:38] | We do have a problem. | 我们真的有麻烦了 |
[28:55] | There is nothing in the law to support Mr. Bombay’s request | 没有法律条款支持Bombay先生 |
[28:59] | that he be assisted in his quest to die. | 要求安乐死的请求 |
[29:01] | And that’s what this is, assisted suicide. | 这其实就是辅助自杀 |
[29:05] | Now, we hear a lot of talk about personal autonomy. | 我们说了很多个人自主权 |
[29:10] | But there is a sanctity to life, your honor. | 但是 法官大人 还有生命的神圣 |
[29:13] | A state has interest in that sanctity. | 国家应该保障这种神圣 |
[29:16] | If we erode that in any way, | 不论我们用什么方式损坏它 |
[29:20] | well, we make the idea of suicide more acceptable, | 比如说自杀发生在问题少年或忧虑的母亲身上时 |
[29:24] | perhaps more conceivable for the troubled teenager or the depressed mother. | 听起来更让人接受 或者说 更可以想象得到的 |
[29:30] | You say suicide in some situations is an option. | 你说自杀在某些情况下是一种选择 |
[29:34] | But we have an overriding state interest | 但是我们最重要的国家利益 |
[29:36] | and a humane one in not sending that message. | 还有人道考虑都不支持这种消息的传播 |
[29:49] | You… | 你… |
[29:50] | That was beautiful. Now sit. | 说得很好 做下 |
[30:14] | At the risk of sounding immodest, | 冒着被说自大的危险 |
[30:17] | I am one of the greatest lawyers, possibly the greatest to grace | 我是最伟大的律师之一 也许是这个国家出现的 |
[30:21] | the courtrooms of this commonwealth, | 最伟大的律师之一 |
[30:23] | and just the possibility of being able to still try cases in the 22nd century… | 或许还能在22世纪继续为人辩护… |
[30:47] | I have A.L.S. | 我患上了肌萎缩侧索硬化症 |
[30:50] | In a few months, | 几个月之内 |
[30:52] | I’ll lose motor control, | 我的肌肉就要萎缩了 |
[30:55] | control of my bowels. | 内脏也将衰竭 |
[30:58] | My brain will begin to… | 我的大脑将开始… |
[31:02] | and in a year or so, I’ll be dead. | 差不多一年内 我就要死了 |
[31:07] | Legends shouldn’t die like that. | 传奇人物不应该就这样死去 |
[31:10] | I don’t want to die like that. | 我不想像那样死去 |
[31:15] | Cryonics might not work. | 人体冰冻法或许没用 |
[31:19] | But 100 years ago, nobody was talking about cloning or the human genome. | 但100年之前 也没人想到克隆或是人体基因 |
[31:25] | And 100 years from now, who knows what’s possible? | 100年后 谁知道会发生什么呢? |
[31:30] | I truly, truly love life. | 我真的 真的 热爱生命 |
[31:36] | And the chance to be living again | 和死后的虚无相比 |
[31:39] | seems preferable to eternal nothingness. | 我更希望能再活一次 |
[31:45] | And, uh, well… | 而且… |
[31:49] | what Red Sox fan wouldn’t jump at the chance to lie next to Ted Williams? | 红袜队(美国棒球队)的球迷为什么不接受和Ted Williams(死后被冰冻)一样的死法呢? |
[31:56] | I realize, your honor, | 我明白 法官阁下 |
[31:59] | that no judge would do what I’m asking for. | 没有一个法官会准许我的请求 |
[32:12] | Do it anyway. | 请宣判吧 |
[32:53] | Why didn’t you tell me you were sick? | 你为什么不告诉我你生病了? |
[32:55] | Because I’m a tree. | 因为我是一棵树 |
[32:57] | When I fall, I want it to be in a forest. | 如果我要倒下 我希望能倒在森林里 |
[33:01] | What the hell does that mean? | 那究竟是什么意思? |
[33:04] | It means I didn’t want anybody to know. | 就是说我不想让别人知道 |
[33:07] | I don’t want to be pitied. | 我不想被人同情 |
[33:09] | All I want is to be… | 我只想成为… |
[33:11] | Denny Crane. | Denny Crane吧 |
[33:19] | Mine’s bigger. | 我的更大 |
[33:23] | You know… | 你知道… |
[33:28] | I’ve always admired you, Milton. | 我一直很尊敬你 Milton |
[33:31] | I’m not dead yet. | 我还没死呢 |
[33:35] | When is the judge gonna rule? | 法官什么时候宣判? |
[33:39] | He said by tonight. | 他说今晚 |
[33:46] | I grew up watching Walter Cronkite. | 我是看着Walter Cronkite(新闻主播)长大的 |
[33:49] | It was a time the news seemed to be fair, objective, trusted. | 那时 新闻还是公正 客观 可信的 |
[33:55] | In fact, whenever we doubted the blather coming out of the politicians’ mouths, | 实际上 每当我们怀疑政客们侃侃而谈的废话时 |
[34:00] | it was the press we turned to to get a sense of the truth. | 我们就在新闻里寻找真相 |
[34:03] | Well, Walter Cronkite has definitely left the building. | Walter Cronkite已经去世了 |
[34:09] | When it comes to credibility, big media is dead. | 主流媒体已经不再可靠 |
[34:13] | Networks pander, | 新闻台开始迎合 |
[34:15] | some to conservatives, others to liberals. | 有些迎合保守党 有些支持自由党 |
[34:18] | This past election, you could turn to one channel to see president Bush ahead. | 上一次的大选 你转到一个频道 发现布什总统领先 |
[34:23] | Turn to another to see Kerry leading. | 转到另一个频道 就看到克里领先 |
[34:26] | Ridiculous. | 真荒谬 |
[34:28] | And I agree with Mr. Shore. | 我同意Shore先生的说法 |
[34:30] | It’s probably more about money than ideology, | 思想根本不能和金钱相比 |
[34:34] | and being about money, | 既然向金钱看齐 |
[34:37] | well, why shouldn’t networks be free to adopt a bias | 那为什么新闻台不能为了更高的收视率 |
[34:39] | in hopes of attracting a bigger audience? | 随意偏向某一方呢? |
[34:42] | This is America. | 这里是美国 |
[34:45] | Mr. Harper, | Harper先生 |
[34:48] | I realize times have changed in the high schools as well. | 我注意到中学也在改变 |
[34:51] | Hate violence is on the rise. | 越来越多的人开始仇恨暴力 |
[34:54] | Administrators have to be freer to curtail students’ civil liberties, | 管理者们可以限制学生的自由权 |
[34:58] | including disruptive speech. | 包括负面言论 |
[35:00] | But attaching a device to a television that blocks out a certain network | 但是因为其内容 将设备连接到电视上 |
[35:06] | because of the content, that seems to go too far. | 阻止特定新闻频道的播放 这有点太过了 |
[35:11] | It’s censorship, sir. | 这是检查行为 先生 |
[35:15] | And I can’t let it stand. | 我不能允许它发生 |
[35:19] | The motion for the plaintiff is granted. | 支持原告的诉讼请求 |
[35:31] | I don’t know what to say, Mr. Shore. | 我不知道应该说什么 Shore先生 |
[35:34] | You were incredibly brilliant. | 你真是太强了 |
[35:36] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[35:38] | If there’s any retribution at the school, let us know. | 如果学校有什么报复行为的话 通知我们 |
[35:42] | Yeah, I will. | 好的 |
[35:43] | Thank you both. | 谢谢你们两位 |
[35:46] | Your country thanks you. | 你的祖国谢谢你 |
[35:58] | My country thanks me. | 我的祖国谢谢我 |
[36:10] | This is where he gives his ruling. | 这里就是他做出判决的地方 |
[36:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:22] | Mr. Bombay, it seems ironic, | Bombay先生 真讽刺 |
[36:25] | if not indecent, | 如果妥当 |
[36:27] | that the state’s interest in preserving life | 国家维护你的生存权利 |
[36:31] | should mandate that you die a wrenching and painful death, | 使得你得痛苦而狰狞地死去 |
[36:35] | rather than be frozen in hopes of finding a cure. | 而不是抱着被治愈的希望被冰冻 |
[36:39] | But that is the law as it stands today. | 但这就是现在的法律规定的 |
[36:43] | We live in a country that celebrates individual liberties and personal autonomy, | 我们生活在一个重视个人自由和个人自主权的国家 |
[36:47] | but when it comes to controlling your own destiny, | 但当涉及到掌握自己的命运 |
[36:51] | this is a freedom that does not yet ring. | 这部分的自由并没有被兑现 |
[36:55] | I will pray for you, | 我会为你祈祷 |
[36:58] | but I cannot grant you your request. | 但我不能同意你的请求 |
[37:02] | Your motion is denied. | 你的请求被驳回 |
[37:06] | God bless you. | 上帝保佑你 |
[37:13] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[37:15] | We can appeal. | 我们可以上诉 |
[37:16] | Next time, I’ll close. | 下次 我来做结案陈词 |
[37:18] | That’s all right, that’s all right. I’m, uh, | 没关系 没关系 我 |
[37:21] | heading for Arizona, | 要去亚利桑那州 |
[37:24] | try my luck with the courts down there. | 在那边法庭 碰碰运气 |
[37:26] | Milton, no court anywhere is going to rule in your favor. | Milton 没有什么地方的法庭会支持你的 |
[37:30] | Even so, there’s a cryonics facility there, | 即使这样 有人体冰冻设备在 |
[37:34] | so whenever the time comes… | 那么只要可以… |
[37:36] | Do you know anybody in Arizona? | 你在亚利桑那州认识人吗? |
[37:38] | No, and that’s the point. | 不 那就是关键 |
[37:40] | I don’t want to deteriorate in front of my… | 病情恶化的话 我不想让我的… |
[37:43] | Clearly, you’re not inclined to follow my advice, | 你明显不想听从我的建议 |
[37:46] | but do not go off to die alone. | 但是不要一个人悄悄死去 |
[37:49] | Hey, you live your way, Shirley, | 嘿 你有你生活的方式 Shirley |
[37:52] | I’ll die mine. | 我有我的死法 |
[37:54] | I’m entitled to be remembered for… | 大家会记得我的… |
[38:02] | Thank you both for your efforts. | 谢谢你们俩的努力 |
[38:07] | Milton. Milton. | Milton啊 Milton |
[38:17] | We go way back, you and I. | 你和我 我们认识很久了 |
[38:21] | Let’s not get carried away. | 别说的那么夸张 |
[38:23] | We were worthy adversaries, occasional drinking buddies, | 我们棋逢敌手 偶尔去喝喝小酒 |
[38:27] | but it’s not as if we had great affection for one another. | 但并不是说我们的交情很深 |
[38:33] | Anyway… | 不管怎样… |
[38:45] | We’ll see you, Milton. | 我们会再见的 Milton |
[38:48] | Yeah. See you. | 是啊 再见 |
[38:57] | See you, Denny. | 再见 Denny |
[39:11] | Goodbye, my friend. | 再见 我的朋友 |
[39:14] | Goodbye. Goodbye. | 再见 再见 |
[40:02] | – I’m sorry. – Hey. | – 抱歉 – 嘿 |
[40:07] | People get old, get sick. It happens to everybody. | 人总生老病死 每个人都会这样的 |
[40:11] | How close were you? | 你们关系有多好? |
[40:14] | It’s not that we went that deep. It’s… | 并不是说我们交往有多深入 只是… |
[40:17] | We went… | 我们… |
[40:19] | way back. | 认识很久了 |
[40:22] | You can be larger than life, just not death. | 你可以活得很好 但却不能摆脱死亡 |
[40:30] | – He went off to Arizona? – Yeah. | – 他去亚利桑那州了? – 对 |
[40:35] | I really admired him more than… | 我真的很佩服他… |
[40:46] | You go through life, and you never tell people how much you care about them, | 你过尽千帆 你从不告诉别人你对他们的关心 |
[40:50] | when… | 当… |
[40:56] | People should probably do that more, you know? | 人们应该更经常那么做 你知道么? |
[41:03] | I care about you. | 我关心你的 |
[41:05] | I wasn’t fishing for that. I fish for steelhead, not mush. | 我不在乎那个 我在乎的是头脑 不是感情 |
[41:10] | I care about you, Denny. | 我关心你 Denny |
[41:14] | You don’t have to say it back. | 你不用回应我 |
[41:25] | Wasn’t planning to. | 本来就没那么想 |