时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:09] | When a man turns 40, he begins to take measure of themselves. | 当一个男人步入不惑之年 他就开始清楚自己的斤两了 |
[00:13] | I must admit I don’t like what I see. | 我必须承认 我不喜欢这样 |
[00:16] | You’re turning 43. | 你就快43岁了 |
[00:19] | If you don’t mind, I’m trying to appear vulnerable | 不好意思 我正在装脆弱 |
[00:23] | to facilitate my snorkeling up your thigh bone later. | 来加速我们亲密的进程 |
[00:27] | Alan, you boyfriend, | Alan 你是我男友 |
[00:30] | me girlfriend. | 我是你女友 |
[00:32] | You have a season’s pass. | 你已经拥有我了 |
[00:33] | You’re ruining the conquest part, | 你正在毁掉征服这个步骤 |
[00:35] | which is all it’s really about for me. | 这对我来说几乎是最关键的步骤 |
[00:38] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[00:40] | Well, how about a little play acting, then? | 哦 那来玩点角色扮演怎么样? |
[00:42] | Only if this time, I get to be the sheep. | 除非这一次 我来做绵羊 |
[00:47] | I’m gonna sit over there | 我会坐在那边 |
[00:48] | and pretend to be alone. | 假装是一个人来的 |
[00:50] | And you’re gonna approach me, being the stranger that you are, | 接着你要来接近我 假装成一个陌生人 |
[00:52] | and conquest me. | 然后征服我 |
[00:53] | Don’t be silly. | 别傻了 |
[00:54] | No, I’d like to see how you operate, Mr. Shore. | 不 我想看看你是怎么实战的 Shore先生 |
[01:16] | How are you doing? | 你好吗? |
[01:18] | Fine, thank you. | 很好 谢谢你 |
[01:20] | I’m Joe. | 我是Joe |
[01:22] | I’m with somebody. | 我有伴儿了 |
[01:24] | Who? | 哪儿有啊? |
[01:25] | Hello, I’m a complete stranger. | 你好 我完全是个陌生人 |
[01:28] | And I’m here to pick you up. | 我是过来接你的 |
[01:32] | Oh, I see. There’s two of us. | 哦 我明白了 咱们两个目的相同 |
[01:34] | I’ll be evens, you be odds. | 我选偶数 你来奇数 |
[01:36] | You got a problem? | 你想找事儿吗? |
[01:38] | No, actually. | 并不是 |
[01:39] | I just saw this fair maiden here talking to a tree trunk, | 我只是看见这位美貌的小姐正在跟一根粗木说话 |
[01:43] | and since I’m an arborist, I thought I could help translate. | 鉴于我是一位树艺家 我想我可以帮忙翻译 |
[01:47] | Here’s a health tip. | 给你条忠告 |
[01:49] | – Walk away. – Why would I do that? | – 走开 – 我为什么要走开? |
[01:51] | All right, guys. | 好啦 伙计们 |
[01:52] | Don’t be deceived by my cushy appearance. | 别被我松垮的外表骗了 |
[01:55] | Excuse me. | 打断一下 |
[01:57] | – I actually am with him. – I don’t care. | – 我是跟他一起的 – 我不在乎 |
[01:59] | Walk away, or I lay you out. | 走开 不然我就把你放倒 |
[02:02] | I don’t mean to be a stickler, but isn’t the object to lay her out? | 我不想咬文嚼字 但是咱俩的目标不应该是把她摆平吗? |
[02:06] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[02:07] | Oh, gee, I’m sorry, I was reaching for my wallet. | 哦 天呐 对不起 我是想掏钱包的 |
[02:11] | I see. | 明白了 |
[02:13] | Allow me to reach for mine. | 请允许我掏一下我的 |
[02:18] | Are you all right? | 你还好吧? |
[02:19] | Fine. | 我没事 |
[02:21] | Hello, big people. | 你们好 高个子们 |
[02:23] | Sorry to intrude, but you seem rather strapping. | 很抱歉打扰你们 不过你看起来相当健硕 |
[02:26] | Here’s $300. | 我这儿有300美元 |
[02:27] | Would you be so kind as to go hit that man down there? | 你能否好心地帮我 把那边那个男的打倒在地? |
[02:33] | – Really? – Alan. | – 说真的吗? – Alan |
[02:35] | There’s an extra $100 if he goes down. | 要是他真的倒了 我就再给你100美元 |
[02:39] | You’re on. | 成交 |
[02:40] | – Make it a good one. – Oh, for god’s sakes. | – 好好干一场 – 哦 天呐 |
[02:56] | Here’s $100, go help your friend. | 给你一百 去帮你的朋友 |
[03:05] | Gee, it seems Joe has buddies. | 天呐 看起来Joe还有哥们儿在 |
[03:07] | One for you, | 给你一张 |
[03:08] | one for you, | 给你一张 |
[03:10] | I got plenty of them. | 我还有很多 |
[03:13] | Hit them hard now. | 现在痛扁他们 |
[03:14] | For you and for you. | 给你 还有你 |
[03:32] | Boston Legal 1×14. Till We Meet Again | |
[03:59] | ORIGINAL AIR DATE ON ABC: 2005/02/13 | ABC首播: 2005年2月13日 |
[04:02] | You don’t think the evening was slightly symptomatic of something? | 你不觉得昨晚的事 其实是某些轻微的症状吗? |
[04:05] | You take me to a college frat bar, and you start a fight. | 你把我带到一个大学的兄弟会酒吧 然后你又挑起了一场架 |
[04:07] | I did not start it. | 我没挑头 |
[04:08] | – You certainly did start it. – Alan, wonderful news. | – 你绝对是挑了头 – Alan 绝妙的好消息 |
[04:11] | The Kerwin deposition has been cancelled. | Kerwin的出庭作证被取消了 |
[04:13] | You don’t have to go. | 你不用去了 |
[04:14] | Your morning is now free, | 你今天早上可以解放了 |
[04:16] | which works out because it seems these | 正好 因为好像 |
[04:17] | two police officers are here to arrest you. | 这两位警察先生是来逮捕你的 |
[04:20] | Are you Alan Shore? | 你是Alan Shore? |
[04:22] | My, aren’t you clever? | 天啊 你真是聪明? |
[04:24] | I bet you make a detective one day. | 我打赌你有朝一日肯定能做侦探 |
[04:26] | Was my calling him Alan a clue? | 我叫他Alan算是提示吗? |
[04:30] | Please place your hands behind your back. | 请你把双手背到身后 |
[04:32] | Why? | 为什么? |
[04:33] | Sir, please. You’re under arrest | 先生 请你合作些 |
[04:35] | for conspiracy to commit assault and battery. | 你因犯有怂恿他人殴打和侵犯人身罪 被捕了 |
[04:37] | You have the right to remain silent. | 你有权保持沉默 |
[04:38] | You have it all memorized. | 你们会把他的话都会记录在案 |
[04:40] | Aren’t you, the spiffy jiffy? | 对吧? 让人眼前一亮的小伙子 |
[04:43] | And a sharp dresser. | 而且你穿得够时髦的 |
[04:46] | You have the right to an attorney. | 你有权请一名律师 |
[04:47] | If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you… | 如果你请不起 我们会派一名给你… |
[04:49] | Not to worry, dear. | 不用担心 亲爱的 |
[04:50] | I’ll cancel the rest of your day. | 我会取消你今天剩下的行程 |
[05:04] | And in an unprecedented, if not bizarre move, | 这是一次前所未有的举动 甚至可以说怪异 |
[05:07] | the selectmen of Summersport, Massachusetts, a small south shore town, | 马萨诸塞州的Summersport是个拥有一万八千人口的南海岸小镇 |
[05:10] | population 18,000, voted six to two yesterday to ban red meat. | 昨天那里的行政委员 以六比二的票数决定禁红肉 |
[05:15] | As of midnight, it is now illegal to serve or sell beef within the township. | 午夜过后 现在在小镇管辖范围内 提供或销售牛肉都属违法行为 |
[05:21] | Mayor George Bostwick calling the law a health and safety regulation. | George Bostwick市长把这条法律称作健康安全制度 |
[05:25] | God, health and safety. | 上帝啊 健康安全 |
[05:27] | Did they not call a town meeting to discuss this? | 他们没有召开全镇会议来讨论这件事吗? |
[05:29] | Well, they did. And nobody really took it that seriously. | 他们开了 没有人把这当回事 |
[05:32] | But the mayor controls the selectmen, | 但是市长控制着那些行政官员 |
[05:34] | and this is exactly the publicity he’s hoping to buy. | 而他这样做 是为了提高知名度 |
[05:38] | In the meantime, my steak house is out of business. | 于此同时 我的牛排餐馆被迫关张了 |
[05:40] | How can you ban red meat? | 怎么能禁红肉呢? |
[05:42] | Well, they got a whole campaign they’re gonna go with it. | 嗯 他们有个很大的竞选团来支持他们 |
[05:44] | They plan to promote Summersport as the seafood capital of the world. | 他们计划将Summersport提升成为世界海鲜产品之都 |
[05:47] | We’re carnivores. | 我们是食肉动物 |
[05:49] | When the pilgrims landed, | 早期移民登陆之后 |
[05:50] | the first thing they did was eat a few Indians. | 他们做的第一件事就是吃掉几个印第安人 |
[05:54] | Is there anything we can do? | 我们有没有什么办法? |
[05:55] | We’ll get an immediate T.R.O. | 我们将立刻申请临时禁令 |
[05:57] | I’ll argue it myself. Ban red meat. | 我会自己辩论 禁红肉 |
[05:59] | That cannot pass constitutional mustard. | 这不可能通过宪法”芥末” (芥末与规定的英文很像) |
[06:03] | The word is muster, Denny, but you’re right. | 是规定 Denny 但是你说对了 |
[06:05] | The law lacks condiments. | 这条法律需要调料 |
[06:07] | Let’s mark up a motion and get going, and let’s do it in Suffolk. | 让我们先建起一个理念 然后执行 我们到Suffolk再从长计议 |
[06:10] | We should contact the owners of the other affected restaurants, | 我们应该联系其他受影响的餐厅的所有者 |
[06:12] | and have them join us. | 让他们加入我们 |
[06:17] | 32744, Commonwealth vs. Alan Shore, | 32744号案件 英联邦起诉Alan Shore |
[06:21] | conspiracy to commit battery. | 怂恿他人实行殴打罪 |
[06:23] | Tara Wilson for the defendant, your honor. | Tara Wilson代表被告 法官大人 |
[06:24] | We’ll waive reading. I shouldn’t think there’ll be any question of bail. | 我方提出推迟宣判 并且认为完全有权保释当事人 |
[06:27] | What have we got here? | 案件详情 |
[06:28] | He paid some guys in a bar to assault another guy. | 他在酒吧雇人殴打另一名男子 |
[06:30] | Judge, the guy insulted my honor. | 法官 那个人侮辱了我的尊严 |
[06:32] | I was required by the canons of bar room conduct to respond. | 我是基于酒吧的管理规定所作出的反应 |
[06:35] | This being America, I simply enlisted unsuspecting warriors | 这里是美国 我仅仅是无意让勇者们参与了 |
[06:38] | who had no idea what I was getting them into. | 他们未能预见的事件 |
[06:40] | Was anybody hurt? | 有人受伤吗? |
[06:42] | Cuts and bruises. There was some damage to the bar. | 一些划伤和瘀伤 对酒吧造成了一定的破坏 |
[06:44] | My suggestion is we admit to sufficient facts | 我的建议是 我们承认事实 |
[06:46] | so you’ll continue it without a finding. | 但纠结于事实于事无补 |
[06:48] | My client makes full restitution to the bar. | 我的当事人会赔偿酒吧的损失 |
[06:50] | That’s not gonna fly. | 那是铁定的 |
[06:52] | It was self-defense. Mr. Shore was hit. | 这是自卫行为 Shore先生被打了 |
[06:54] | The fact that he hired others to do the hitting back doesn’t preclude… | 他雇人以牙还牙的这个事实不能排除… |
[06:57] | You want a not guilty, counsel, you need a trial. | 要想他被判无罪 法律代理人 你需要开庭审理 |
[07:00] | We could do it today. | 今天就可以开庭 |
[07:02] | You’re ready to proceed now? | 你现在就准备好进行下一项了? |
[07:04] | I’ll stipulate to all the facts in the police report, | 我会承认警方报告中列出的全部事实 |
[07:06] | though I must take issue with some of the spelling. | 尽管我必须指出其中的一些拼写错误 |
[07:10] | If he stips to the facts, I could be ready tomorrow. | 如果他承认全部事实 我明天就能准备好 |
[07:13] | Jury trial, of course. I can provide the court with a list of my closest peers. | 有陪审团参加的审理 太好了 我可以在陪审团里安插许多朋友 |
[07:17] | I leave for Aspen on Wednesday. | 我周三要前往Aspen |
[07:18] | So we will complete this in one day. 10:00 tomorrow. | 因此我们一天之内解决 明天十点 |
[07:23] | The defendant is released on personal recognizance. | 被告恢复人身自由 |
[07:26] | Mr. Shore… | Shore先生… |
[07:29] | it would be a big mistake to come in here thinking this is funny. | 你要是觉得来到这儿很好笑 那你就大错特错了 |
[07:37] | You mean it’s not funny? | 你是说不好笑吗? |
[07:44] | You cannot just ban red meat. | 不能就这么禁红肉 |
[07:46] | Any municipality can pass reasonable health regulations. | 自治区可以审核通过合理的健康制度 |
[07:49] | Ah, yes, let’s just pause on that word “reasonable”. | 啊 对 让我们停在”合理”这个词上 |
[07:51] | Many towns are dry, forbidding the sale of alcohol. | 很多镇子都实行禁酒 禁止酒类销售 |
[07:53] | There is an enormous difference between the sale… | 这两者之间有着巨大的不同… |
[07:55] | Hold on one secnond, Ms. Schmidt. | 请稍等 Schmidt小姐 |
[07:57] | In my courtroom, we allow counsel to finish their thoughts. | 在我的法庭上 法律代理人可以完成他们的发言 |
[08:00] | – We do not… – if I could interrupt. | – 我们不会… – 请允许我打断一下 |
[08:02] | The author of this particular and preposterous legislation | 这项特殊又荒唐的立法的发起人 |
[08:05] | happens to be both politically ambitious and a glutton for publicity, | 恰好在政治上野心勃勃 又急于得到公众的关注 |
[08:08] | which this new law, funny thing, happens to be generating. | 由此 好笑的是 这条法律碰巧诞生了 |
[08:12] | Red meat poses legitimate health concerns. | 红肉会引起对健康问题的合理担心 |
[08:14] | So do overzealous elected officials. We don’t just ban them. | 热情过度的当选官员也是如此 我们可不禁他们 |
[08:17] | – If only we could. – Now, I shall do the interrupting. | – 但愿我们可以 – 现在 我要打断你们 |
[08:20] | If nothing else, I pride myself on being a conscientious fact finder. | 如果没有补充 我是一个严谨的追求事实的人 |
[08:23] | Oh, brother. | 哦 兄弟 |
[08:26] | Mr. Crane, did you say something? | Crane先生 你说了什么吗? |
[08:28] | It’s a stupid law. Overturn it. Be a man. | 这是条愚蠢的法律 推翻它吧 像个男人 |
[08:34] | Mr. Crane was trying to be helpful. Apparently, he did not succeed. | Crane先生是在帮忙 显然 他没有成功 |
[08:37] | What is the reason, specifically, | 具体说来 是什么原因 |
[08:39] | for your client banning the sale of red meat? | 使你的当事人禁止红肉出售? |
[08:41] | Bovine spongiform encephalopathy. | 牛海绵状脑病 |
[08:47] | Mad cow disease. | 疯牛病 |
[08:48] | – We’re fearful of an outbreak. – In Summersport? | – 我们害怕会爆发 – 在Sunmmersport? |
[08:50] | – Everywhere. – That’s ridiculous. | – 哪儿都有可能 – 真是荒唐 |
[08:53] | Very well, we shall hold an evidentiary hearing. | 很好 我们应该举行一场听证会 |
[08:55] | First person I shall hear from is the mayor. | 第一个发言的应该是市长 |
[08:57] | Then, Ms. Schmidt, if you so desire, | 之后 Schmidt小姐 如果你愿意 |
[08:59] | I shall listen to your client. | 我将聆听你当事人的发言 |
[09:00] | Until then, we are adjourned. | 在那之前 暂时休庭 |
[09:02] | Put on a dress. | 干脆穿条裙子吧 |
[09:05] | 2:00. | 两点钟 |
[09:11] | What are you doing? | 你在干嘛? |
[09:13] | I know this judge. I know where his buttons are. | 我了解这个法官 我知道他的要害在哪儿 |
[09:15] | Research shows, Denny, | Denny 研究表明 |
[09:17] | it’s not wise to antagonize the people whose favor you’re trying to court. | 与你试着取悦的人对着干不是明智的举动 |
[09:20] | Oh, come on, Shirley. | 哦 得了 Shirley |
[09:22] | You still antagonize me, | 你还跟我对着干呢 |
[09:23] | and we both know what’s really going on, don’t we? | 但是我们两个都知道实际上是怎么事 对吧? |
[09:28] | You sweet man. | 你这个可爱的家伙 |
[09:32] | It’s been a long time since you hit my button. | 上次你打我的屁股 已经是很久以前了 |
[09:37] | I doubt you’d even know where to find it. | 我怀疑你还找得着吗 |
[09:42] | Just a matter of time, Shirley. | 只是时间的问题 Shirley |
[09:43] | Just a matter of time. | 早晚的事 |
[09:48] | This doesn’t involve you, man, it’s sexual. | 这与你无关 伙计 是关于性的 |
[09:51] | I thought you said the judge would strike the law down. | 你不是说法官会废除这条法律吗 |
[09:54] | It just got a little tougher, Dominick. | 只是变得有点困难了 Dominick |
[09:55] | They played the mad cow card. | 他们使出了疯牛病这张牌 |
[10:12] | Sometimes a mayor has to do what’s right even if it isn’t popular. | 有时市长就要做一些对的事 不管那是否合众意 |
[10:15] | Red meat presents risks | 红肉带有风险 |
[10:16] | which I, as the guardian of my constituency, am unwilling to assume. | 我作为选区的保护者 无法承担这种风险 |
[10:21] | Legislation is capricious on its face. | 表面上看 立法反复无常 |
[10:23] | That’ll be our only comment at this time. | 这将是我们这次唯一的观点 |
[10:25] | Pop goes the weasel. | 嘣 鼹鼠来了 |
[10:27] | All right, Denny Crane. | 好啦 Denny Crane |
[10:28] | Still cuckoo for cuckoo puffs. | 还是老一套 |
[10:31] | Who’s your daddy? | 你老爹是谁? |
[10:32] | Denny Crane. | 是Denny Crane |
[10:33] | Pop goes the weasel. | 嘣 鼹鼠来了 |
[10:36] | Simply put, I don’t think we can guarantee the safety of beef. | 简单来讲 我认为我们没法保证牛肉的安全 |
[10:39] | Why not? | 为什么不能? |
[10:40] | For starters, we just lifted the ban on Canadian cattle, | 首先 我们来说说加拿大的家畜禁制令 |
[10:43] | where mad cow disease was just found again. | 那里刚刚又发现了疯牛病的迹象 |
[10:48] | The percentage of mad cow in Canada is statistically… | 在加拿大患疯牛病的家畜比例确切是… |
[10:50] | But why take chances? | 可我们为什么要冒险呢? |
[10:52] | Consider this disease. | 想想这种病 |
[10:54] | it’s incurable, it rots the brain, | 无药可医 衰弱大脑 |
[10:56] | it’s invariably fatal, and it’s a painful death. | 可能致命 病人要承受折磨 |
[10:59] | But our government has assured us there’s absolutely no danger in this. | 但是我们的政府保证过 疯牛病绝对不再是个威胁 |
[11:03] | Our government is pro-beef. Are you kidding? | 我们的政府是支持牛肉的 你开什么玩笑? |
[11:06] | In the last five years, the agriculture business has donated $140 million | 在近五年内 农业产业已经给国会或者总统的候选人们 |
[11:12] | to congressional and presidential candidates. | 捐出了一亿四千万美元 |
[11:15] | Fast-food chains, the cattlemen’s beef association, you name it, | 快餐连锁 畜牧业牛肉协会 你随便点 |
[11:18] | they’ve all given big bucks. | 他们都收了很多钱 |
[11:19] | But the Department of Agriculture says… | 但是农业部说… |
[11:22] | Oh, please, the USDA’s in the meat industry’s back pocket. | 哦 拜托 美国农业部全力支持肉食产业 |
[11:25] | What evidence do you have of that? | 你这么说有什么证据? |
[11:26] | You want evidence? | 你想要证据? |
[11:27] | How about the last secretary of Agriculture | 那就来说说前任农业部秘书 |
[11:30] | appointed meat industry advocates to top jobs at the USDA? | 任命肉食产业支持者担任农业部的要职? |
[11:34] | How about the secretary’s former chief of staff used to be | 再来说说秘书的前任主任曾是 |
[11:38] | the chief lobbyist for the national cattlemen’s beef association? | 国家家畜牛肉协会的首席说客? |
[11:43] | The USDA has been bought. | 美国农业部被收买了 |
[11:45] | Pretty strong words, Mr. Bostwick. | 你说得很严重 Bostwick先生 |
[11:47] | – Oprah got sued for saying less. – Well, what does that tell you? | – Oprah因为话太多 被起诉了 – 哦 你觉得这说明什么? |
[11:49] | The meat industry gets to sue a talk show host | 肉食产业可以因为一个脱口秀主持人 |
[11:51] | for putting down a hamburger? | 不再吃汉堡而起诉她? |
[11:53] | Free speech doesn’t apply when it comes to beef? | 当谈到牛肉这个话题时 言论自由不起作用了? |
[11:55] | Well, certainly, the USDA has an interest in making meat safe? | 嗯 显然 农业部有意保证肉类的安全? |
[11:59] | But they have a double mandate, your honor. | 但是他们拥有双重目标 法官大人 |
[12:01] | And while one may be to keep beef safe, | 其中一个可能是保证肉类的安全 |
[12:03] | the other, the bigger one… | 但另一个 更重要的一个… |
[12:05] | is to promote the sale of American meat. | 是提高美国肉类的销售量 |
[12:07] | You think there’s a real interest in this country in rooting out mad cow disease? | 你认为这个国家能从根除疯牛病上真正得到好处吗? |
[12:11] | It’s “don’t ask, don’t tell.” | 只能不了了之 |
[12:12] | – Objection! – This past April, a cow stumbled and fell in Texas. | – 反对! – 在今年四月 在德克萨斯 一头牛跌倒了 |
[12:17] | The vets suspected a central nervous system disorder. | 兽医怀疑原因是中枢神经系统障碍 |
[12:20] | That animal should have been tested. | 那头动物本应该接受测试 |
[12:22] | It wasn’t. It was quickly slaughtered and put into pig feed. | 但实际没有 它很快就被宰了喂猪 |
[12:24] | Why? Because God forbid we discover mad cow disease. | 为什么? 因为上帝不允许我们发现疯牛病 |
[12:28] | It would cost billions and billions of dollars. | 这要花费数十亿美元 |
[12:31] | I’m not gonna wait. | 我不想等待 |
[12:33] | If that gets me sued, so be it. | 如果这会让我遭到起诉 那就起诉吧 |
[12:41] | How many people in this country have been afflicted | 我们国家有多少人因为疯牛病 |
[12:43] | with the human strain of mad cow disease? | 而备受折磨? |
[12:45] | – I don’t plan to… – To wait, yes. How many? | – 我不打算… – 等待 是的 有多少人? |
[12:48] | – We don’t know. – There have been no confirmed cases. | – 我们还不知道 – 目前没有确诊的案例 |
[12:50] | According to some scientists, | 根据一些科学家所说 |
[12:51] | many people we think have Alzheimer’s could, in fact, be sick from mad cow. | 很多患有老年痴呆症的人 实际上有可能患的是疯牛病 |
[12:55] | – Are you a scientist, sir? – No. | – 你是科学家嘛? – 不是 |
[12:57] | Before you became mayor, what was your occupation? | 在你成为市长之前 你是做什么行业的? |
[13:00] | I owned auto dealerships. | 我是汽车代理商 |
[13:01] | You were a car salesman. | 你是汽车销售员 |
[13:03] | Given that three million people are killed or injured on our roads every year, | 鉴于每年有三百万人在马路上或死或伤 |
[13:07] | do you also plan to ban automobiles? | 你是否也打算禁止机动车? |
[13:09] | – No. – What about Salmonella? | – 不 – 那沙门氏菌呢? |
[13:12] | Any plans to criminalize chickens? | 你打算禁鸡肉吗? |
[13:13] | – People don’t die from chickens or… – What about mercury in fish? | – 吃鸡不会死人或是… – 那鱼类中含的水银呢? |
[13:17] | It’s a concern. | 那只是个担心 |
[13:18] | But, again, I made a judgment as mayor, | 但是 我再次声明 我是作为市长作出此决定的 |
[13:21] | and the selectmen concurred that the dangers of beef… | 而且行政委员一致认同牛肉中所存在的危险… |
[13:23] | Have you any personal political ambitions | 你有没有在其中加入 |
[13:26] | beyond that of being mayor of Summersport? | 作为Summersport市长的政治野心? |
[13:29] | I’m not trying to get headlines, if that’s what you’re saying. | 如果你是说我是为了上头条的话 那你错了 |
[13:31] | I didn’t say that, but funny you did. | 我没那么说 有趣的是 你说了 |
[13:35] | Have you got anything? | 你有什么要说的吗? |
[13:38] | You would agree, Mr. Mayor, that by and large, | 你肯定赞同我的说法 市长先生 总体来说 |
[13:41] | vegetarians are Communists. | 素食者都是共产主义者 |
[13:43] | I certainly would not. | 我当然不赞同 |
[13:44] | We’re at war, Mr. Bostwick. | 我们在打仗 Bostwick先生 |
[13:46] | Think we can win that war if we suddenly say to our soldiers, | 想想看我们如果突然对士兵们说 “没肉吃了” |
[13:48] | “no more meat”? | 我们能赢吗? |
[13:49] | Think a nation of fish-eaters can protect the world, you wimp? | 想想看一个吃鱼的国家能保护世界吗 你这个懦夫? |
[13:52] | – Objection. – Withdrawn. Nothing further. | – 反对 – 收回 我问完了 |
[13:56] | What the hell are you doing? | 你到底在干吗? |
[13:59] | Don’t bother with the merits, Shirley. | 别老想着立功 Shirley |
[14:01] | This case, it’s all about the judge. | 这个案子 关键在于法官 |
[14:37] | You asked to see us. | 你叫我们过来的 |
[14:39] | Sit. | 坐 |
[14:41] | Not to worry. This is standard. | 别担心 这是常规 |
[14:43] | He purposely doesn’t look up. | 他故意不抬头 |
[14:44] | It’s a technique taught in the ’40s for establishing dominion. | 这是四十年代教授的一种建立主动权的技巧 |
[14:55] | You were involved in a bar altercation last night? | 你昨天晚上在酒吧卷入了一场口角? |
[14:59] | Altercation? I think not. | 口角? 我觉得不是 |
[15:00] | It was a brawl. | 是个争斗 |
[15:02] | – And you were arrested? – I was. | – 而且你被捕了? – 我曾经 |
[15:05] | Trial starts tomorrow, actually. | 实际上明天开庭 |
[15:07] | Can I count on you as a character witness? | 我能指望你做品格证人吗? |
[15:11] | Who’s defending you? | 谁替你辩护? |
[15:12] | I’m representing myself, with Tara’s assistance. | 我自己代表自己 Tara协助 |
[15:17] | There’s no opportunity to plead this out? | 可能脱罪吗? |
[15:20] | Only if I plead guilty, which is, of course, unacceptable. | 除非我承认有罪 当然这是不能接受的 |
[15:23] | I have to worry about a three strikes law, | 我不得不去担心三打法 |
[15:25] | since I plan to commit future crimes. | 因为我计划在未来继续犯罪 |
[15:30] | I don’t know what kind of career death wish you have, Mr. Shore, | 我不知道你要怎样毁掉你的事业 Shore先生 |
[15:35] | but if you’re convicted, if you get time, | 但是如果你被判有罪 如果你入狱 |
[15:37] | your employment will be terminated. | 你的合约将被终结 |
[15:39] | That may be of little consequence to you… | 那可能对你影响不大… |
[15:41] | If I had a nickel for every time you’ve threatened to fire me, Paul, | 要是我每次犯点小事 你都会威胁要开除我 Paul |
[15:44] | I could simply retire. | 我退休就得了 |
[15:46] | Alan, cut it out. | Alan 住口吧 |
[15:49] | It is not my habit to lecture, | 说教不是我的习惯 |
[15:54] | but what you did last night was selfish. | 但昨晚你的所作所为很自私 |
[15:58] | We have a reputation here at Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 我们Crane, Poole & Schmidt有自己的名誉 |
[16:02] | The attorneys here take great pride in that reputation. | 这儿的律师都引以为豪 |
[16:06] | It undermines everyone at Crane, Poole & Schmidt | 在Crane, Poole & Schmidt的每个人都会因为 |
[16:10] | when a lawyer here is criminally prosecuted. | 这儿的某个律师被提起刑事诉讼而受到牵连 |
[16:13] | Your actions hurt people. | 你的行为伤害了别人 |
[16:17] | All of us must now tender explanations | 现在我们所有人都得向 |
[16:21] | to our friends, our colleagues, | 我们的朋友 同事 |
[16:24] | to safeguard and repair the reputation of Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 以及保安解释 来维护Crane, Poole & Schmidt的荣誉 |
[16:30] | Stop it! | 够了! |
[16:37] | I’ve had it. | 我受够了 |
[16:41] | Do you hear me? | 你听见了吗? |
[16:42] | I have had it. | 我受够了 |
[16:47] | Get out, both of you. | 你们两个 都给我出去 |
[17:19] | Personally, I would never eat meat. | 就我个人来讲 我永远不会吃肉 |
[17:21] | Why, doctor? | 为什么 医生? |
[17:22] | We don’t have the means to keep track of what cattle are being fed, | 我个人认为 我们没法追踪家畜的饲料 |
[17:25] | nor are we adequately testing them, in my opinion. | 也没有对它们做足够的测试 |
[17:27] | Your honor, I object to paranoia being offered as evidence. | 法官大人 我反对让偏执狂作证人 |
[17:30] | I’m sorry, but it’s absolutely reckless | 很抱歉 但是在科学界还无法有效探知 |
[17:33] | for a government to be telling us we’re safe | 这种疾病的一切感染方式及传播途径的情况下 |
[17:35] | when the scientific community can’t necessarily detect all the ways | 让政府来告诉我们 我们是安全的 |
[17:38] | this disease can be contracted or transmitted. | 这种做法很莽撞 |
[17:41] | But let’s look at statistics. | 可是数据表明 |
[17:43] | Nobody in this country seems to be getting sick from mad cows. | 我们国家没有人因为疯牛患病 |
[17:47] | Judge, we just can’t know that. | 法官 我们无从得知 |
[17:49] | The disease may have an incubation period of up to 40 years. | 这种疾病的潜伏期可能长达四十年之久 |
[17:53] | You may be infected right now. | 你现在可能就已经感染了 |
[17:54] | My point is, | 我的意思是 |
[17:56] | nobody now seems to be demonstrating symptoms. | 目前 没有人表现出相应的病症 |
[17:59] | We don’t know that for sure, either. | 这点我们也不能确定 |
[18:02] | The human strain of the mad cow disease | 疯牛病对人类的损伤 |
[18:04] | is called Creutzfeldt-Jakob. | 医学上称克雅氏病 |
[18:06] | We call it CJD. | 我们叫它CJD |
[18:07] | But you can also get CJD sporadically, with no link to infected meat. | 但极少数情况下 不接触受感染的肉类也会患上CJD |
[18:12] | And some of the people we’ve diagnosed with Alzheimer’s | 一些确诊为老年痴呆症的人 |
[18:15] | might, in fact, have CJD. | 实际上有可能患有CJD |
[18:17] | We don’t know how many cases there really are. | 我们不知道究竟有多少个病例 |
[18:21] | You cannot tell me the government has all this figured out. | 别告诉我说政府全都统计出来了 |
[18:24] | And the government just covers this up? | 政府就这么掩盖事实了? |
[18:26] | Well, it’s probably not so much a cover-up. | 嗯 也许算不上掩盖事实 |
[18:28] | It’s just we’re not terribly motivated to discover the problem. | 只是我们没有急功近利地去发现真相 |
[18:31] | The economic consequences would be too severe. | 这可能会带来过于严重的经济后果 |
[18:33] | Economic consequences, | 经济后果 |
[18:35] | the beef industry would risk an outbreak of mad cow disease. | 牛肉产业冒着疯牛病爆发的风险 |
[18:38] | That wouldn’t bankrupt them overnight? | 他们不会一夜之间倾家荡产吗? |
[18:39] | The beef industry can’t always tell when a cow is sick, | 牛肉产业有时无法辨认出患病的牛 |
[18:42] | and they’re desperate to believe that isolated cases are isolated cases. | 而且他们极度想认定那些都是个例 |
[18:46] | And the Department of Agriculture just plays along? | 那农业部是孤军奋战咯? |
[18:48] | The month after that sick cow was found in Washington state, | 华盛顿州的那头病牛被曝光以后 |
[18:52] | mad cow testing dropped almost 50%. | 疯牛病测试数量几乎下降了百分之五十 |
[18:56] | – That’s outrageous. – It eventually went up. | – 那是极不寻常的 – 数量最终上涨了 |
[18:58] | Look, they tried to track the herd where that Washington cow came from… | 听着 他们试着追踪华盛顿那头牛所在的牛群… |
[19:02] | they couldn’t find 53 of the 80 cows. | 80头里有53头都下落不明 |
[19:05] | They’ve since admitted their cattle trackback system isn’t up and running, | 他们这才承认 他们的牛群追踪系统不那么灵光 |
[19:08] | and it would have to be done on a voluntary basis. | 而且追踪要建立在自愿的基础上 |
[19:11] | Voluntary… | 自愿… |
[19:13] | please, what meat-packing plant wants the distinction of having a mad cow? | 拜托 哪个肉食包装厂想要让人知道 他们那儿有疯牛? |
[19:20] | Which is why I order the fish. | 这就是我吃鱼的原因 |
[19:26] | – Denny. – Hmm. | – Denny – 嗯 |
[19:28] | – I’m getting my ass kicked here. – I can see that. | – 我被堵得无话可说了 – 我看出来了 |
[19:30] | Any suggestions? | 有什么建议吗? |
[19:36] | – How old are you, sir? – 46. | – 你多大了 先生? – 46岁 |
[19:38] | I’m 72, and I can mop the floor with you. You know why? | 我72了 而且我能把你打倒在地 知道为什么吗? |
[19:41] | I eat meat. | 我吃肉 |
[19:43] | Makes me strong, builds up my immune system, | 肉使我强壮 建立起我的免疫系统 |
[19:45] | fights off a whole bunch of other diseases I might have had | 防止我患一堆其他的疾病 |
[19:48] | if I weren’t so strong. | 我如果没这么强壮 也许就会得那些病了 |
[19:50] | Red meat saves lives, baby. | 红肉能救人命 小子 |
[19:53] | – You ever think about that? – I’m sorry, | – 你想过吗? – 不好意思 |
[19:55] | but there’s no real evidence to support that opinion. | 但是没有实际的证据 可以支持你的观点 |
[19:58] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 哦 抱歉 |
[20:01] | Any hard evidence to support yours? | 那存在有力的证据 可以支持你的观点吗? |
[20:05] | Hard evidence, no. | 有力的证据 没有 |
[20:09] | But I don’t think we really want to wait for that evidence to come rushing in. | 但是我认为 我们不会想要等到证据冒出来的 |
[20:19] | I had him there, | 我本来控制住他了 |
[20:21] | right till the end. | 可最后失算了 |
[20:26] | He basically offered us $100 to fight. | 他给我们100美元让我们打架 |
[20:29] | You took the money. | 你拿了钱 |
[20:30] | – Yes. – And you fought. | – 是的 – 然后你打架了 |
[20:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:33] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 先生 |
[20:38] | Interesting. We agree to stipulate to the facts, | 有意思 我们赞同明确事实的做法 |
[20:40] | and the prosecution sees fit to distort them just the same. | 而且控方看起来也把事实扭曲得恰到好处 |
[20:42] | – Objection. – Mr. Edwards, I didn’t say, | – 反对 – Edwards先生 我没说 |
[20:44] | “here’s $100, go fight,” did I? | “这有一百美元 去打架吧” 是吧? |
[20:46] | – Well… – Did I not first ask your friend Mike | – 嗯… – 我没有先让你的朋友Mike |
[20:48] | to avenge an assault committed against me? | 对我遭到的人身伤害予以还击吗? |
[20:50] | – Yes. – And then when Mike was attacked, | – 有 – 然后当Mike被攻击时 |
[20:52] | I enlisted you and others to go to his aid, did I not? | 我让你和其他人去帮他的忙 是吗? |
[20:55] | – Yes. – And the man who first assaulted me | – 是的 – 最先殴打我的男人 |
[20:58] | – had many colleagues who joined the fray, did he not? – Yes. | – 有很多同伴加入了战斗 是吧? – 是的 |
[21:01] | In fact, Joe’s friends first turned it into a brawl, wouldn’t you say? | 事实上 是Joe的朋友把它变成群殴的 你不这么觉得吗? |
[21:04] | – Yes. – And as a friend of Mike’s, is it your testimony | – 觉得 – 而且作为Mike的朋友 你的证词是否是 |
[21:08] | you would not have gone to his aid had I not offered you money? | 如果我不给你钱 你就不会去帮他? |
[21:12] | No, I would have probably jumped in anyway at that point. | 不 那个时候 我大概无论如何 都会加入的 |
[21:14] | Well, given your honest and forthright testimony, | 鉴于你的证词诚实且坦白 |
[21:17] | which has shed blinding light on what happened in the bar that night, | 使昨天晚上酒吧里的事件水落石出 |
[21:19] | would you now consider yourself | 你现在觉得你所目击的这一事件 |
[21:21] | a witness more for the prosecution or the defense? | 应该被起诉 还是属于正当防卫? |
[21:26] | Um, I guess defense. | 嗯 我想属于正当防卫 |
[21:29] | Thank you, Mr. Edwards. | 谢谢你 Edwards先生 |
[21:30] | You deserve another $100. | 你应该再得100美元 |
[21:43] | We’re going to lose? | 我们会输? |
[21:44] | It hasn’t gone well. | 事件不是很顺利 |
[21:46] | Surely you’ve noticed. | 你肯定也看出来了 |
[21:47] | My grandfather started this steak house. | 我祖父开办了这家牛排馆 |
[21:49] | How can… | 怎么能… |
[21:50] | – I just can’t believe it. – Look, it isn’t over yet. | – 我就是无法相信 – 还没结束呢 |
[21:53] | We still have summations, but… | 我们还有总结 但是… |
[21:58] | Let me tell you this one more time. | 我再告诉你一遍 |
[22:00] | Play the judge. | 从法官身上下手 |
[22:02] | The man lives with his mother, and he wears lifts. | 这个男人和它妈妈住在一起 他搭顺风车 |
[22:05] | The buzzword is nansy-pansy. | 关键词是胆小鼠辈 |
[22:07] | – I beg your pardon. – Nansy-pansy. | – 请再说一遍 – 胆小鼠辈 |
[22:10] | He doesn’t want to fall on that side of the fence. | 他不想跨过界限到另一边 |
[22:12] | It’s even worse than namby-pamby. | 这比郁郁寡欢可糟多了 |
[22:15] | – What are you talking about? – Trust me, Shirley. | – 你在说什么? – 相信我 Shirley |
[22:20] | For once, can you do that? | 就一次 可以吗? |
[22:24] | Nansy-pansy. | 胆小鼠辈 |
[22:36] | I was thinking perhaps I should close. | 我在想 也许我该结束这一切 |
[22:38] | Don’t be ridiculous. | 别荒唐了 |
[22:40] | – I’m sorry? – No offense, Tara, | – 什么? – 没别的意思 Tara |
[22:41] | but since I handled the witness, the jury will be… | 但是由于我解决了目击证人 陪审团将会… |
[22:44] | Did you see the faces on the jury? | 你看见陪审团的表情了吗? |
[22:47] | They weren’t impressed. | 他们没觉得你表现得好 |
[22:48] | They found you smug. | 他们觉得你自以为是 |
[22:49] | You were, perhaps, too self-satisfied to notice. | 也许你对自己太满意了 根本没注意到 |
[22:53] | Are we at a certain point in our cycle, Tara? | Tara 我们俩现在是困在某个点上了么? |
[23:01] | I apologize. | 我很抱歉 |
[23:03] | Do you? | 是吗? |
[23:05] | That’s a first. | 这是第一步 |
[23:11] | Say what you must. | 开门见山吧 |
[23:13] | I was hugely embarrassed by what happened at the bar, | 我对在酒吧发生的事感到很尴尬 |
[23:16] | not to mention terrified. | 更别提害怕了 |
[23:18] | I could have been injured. Did that ever occur to you? | 我可能会受伤 你想过没有? |
[23:21] | I mean, it would have been one thing | 我是说 如果你作出粗鲁的反击 |
[23:22] | had you had a neanderthal reaction and swung back, | 并转身离开 那是一回事 |
[23:24] | but your response was considered. | 但是你的反击是经过考虑的 |
[23:26] | You reflectively, calmly orchestrated your violence. | 你思索后 冷静地施展了你的暴力 |
[23:31] | People could have been hurt. | 这可能会伤到别人 |
[23:33] | I could have been hurt, | 可能会伤到我 |
[23:35] | but you’ve not once considered that, | 但你一次也没注意过 |
[23:36] | because contrary to the rumor that you are the center of the universe, | 因为传言说你把自己当做宇宙的中心 |
[23:40] | clearly you are the universe, | 但其实你把自己就看做是宇宙 |
[23:43] | and I, for one, am getting sick of it. | 我 宇宙中的一点 对此已经厌烦了 |
[24:14] | Alan Shore’s a good lawyer, Paul. | Alan Shore是名好律师 Paul |
[24:15] | If we fire him, it does leave a hole. | 如果我们开除了他 会是个损失 |
[24:18] | I am certainly mindful of that, | 我很清楚 |
[24:20] | but how far do we let him push us? | 但是我们还要被他牵着鼻子走多久? |
[24:22] | He has done this at every firm he has worked for. | 他在每一个任职的公司 都做过类似的事情 |
[24:24] | He defies them to the point… | 他否定他们… |
[24:26] | His last firm sued him. | 他上一个单位起诉了他 |
[24:28] | Yes, and he went on. They didn’t. | 对 然后他继续他的事业 但那个公司没有 |
[24:31] | Schmidt, you called? | Schmidt 你叫我? |
[24:33] | Cellina, I called you three hours ago. | Cellina 我三小时前就叫你了 |
[24:35] | Where have you been? | 你去哪儿了? |
[24:36] | Patriots parade. | 爱国者游行 |
[24:37] | The patriots parade was last week. | 爱国者游行是上周的事 |
[24:39] | Three super bowls, four years. | 三个超级杯 四年 |
[24:41] | I’m still on parade. | 我现在还在游行 |
[24:44] | You worked on that Ianetti meat-packing case last year, didn’t you? | 你去年负责过Ianetti肉食包装的案子 对吧? |
[24:48] | Yes. | 对 |
[24:49] | What do you know about that cow in Washington state? | 你知道关于华盛顿那头牛的情况吗? |
[24:53] | I’m about to suffer an embarrassing defeat in court. | 我将会在法庭上很尴尬地被打败 |
[24:56] | I need to show that what happened in Washington was an isolated, what? | 我得说明发生在华盛顿的事件只是一次例外 怎么? |
[25:00] | Don’t go near the Washington case. | 别讨论华盛顿那个案例 |
[25:02] | It’s possible it wasn’t even a downer cow. | 那可能甚至不是一头唐纳牛 |
[25:05] | What do you mean, downer cow? | 什么叫 唐纳牛? |
[25:07] | Basically, it means the cow fell down. | 基本上讲 就是摔倒的牛 |
[25:09] | We’re told that the mad cows are easy to spot | 他们告诉我们说疯牛很好辨认 |
[25:12] | because they stumble and fall. | 因为它们容易绊倒 |
[25:14] | We were told that this cow fell, | 他们告诉我们这只牛摔倒了 |
[25:16] | but eyewitnesses in Washington | 但是华盛顿的目击证人说 |
[25:18] | say the cow was walking and was tested only as a fluke. | 那头牛当时在走路 它会接受测试只是个偶然 |
[25:22] | Which means… | 那就是说… |
[25:23] | while we’re being told that the sick cows show easily detectable symptoms… | 他们告诉我们病牛会表现出能够探查的病症… |
[25:29] | they sometimes don’t, and therefore go undetected. | 但有时候不会 因此是不可探查的 |
[25:33] | Stay away from the Washington case. | 别提华盛顿的案子 |
[25:36] | Thank you, Cellina. | 谢谢 Cellina |
[25:43] | Pardon the expression, but… | 抱歉我要这么说 但是… |
[25:45] | I’m dead meat. | 我死定了 |
[25:47] | You really think you’re going to lose? | 你真的觉得你会输吗? |
[25:49] | I’m tempted to employ Denny’s strategy. | Denny诱惑我用他的策略 |
[25:52] | Which is… | 他的策略是… |
[25:55] | Nansy-pansy. | 胆小鼠辈 |
[26:01] | All I know is he instigated the brawl. | 我只知道他教唆别人打架斗殴 |
[26:03] | The charge is conspiracy to commit aggravated assault. | 控诉是怂恿殴打和人身伤害罪 |
[26:06] | Talking about me, Brad? | 你在说我吗 Brad? |
[26:08] | Yeah, we’re just trying to imagine you as an instigator. | 对 我们正在试着把你想象成一名教唆犯 |
[26:12] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 这是什么意思? |
[26:16] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[26:18] | – Forget it. – No, let’s not forget it. | – 算了吧 – 别 不能算了 |
[26:20] | How about you say what you have to say? | 把你想说的说出来 怎么样? |
[26:22] | Or is that too monumental an effort, completing whole sentences? | 还是说 您的金口难开? |
[26:25] | – Come on, Alan. – You want to talk about me, Lori? | – 好了 Alan – 你想说我什么吗 Lori? |
[26:26] | Perhaps you should reposition yourself behind my back. | 也许你应该站到我看不见的地方 |
[26:29] | Isn’t that the rule of the game? | 游戏规则不是如此吗? |
[26:30] | I don’t talk about you behind your back. | 我不在背后议论你 |
[26:32] | You’re not that interesting. | 你没那么有意思 |
[26:35] | I’m tired of this. Got that? | 我已经腻了 明白吗? |
[26:41] | I don’t know what’s going on with you, sport, | 我不知道这是怎么了 老兄 |
[26:43] | but you’re certainly smart enough to realize | 但是你应该够聪明 |
[26:45] | that I could probably dismember you in about the time… | 明白我随时都能把你打散了 只要我愿… |
[26:50] | – Then do it. – Cut it out. | – 那就来呀 – 住口 |
[26:51] | What the hell is going on? | 这到底是怎么回事? |
[26:52] | Careful, Tara. I wouldn’t want you to get hurt. | 当心点 Tara 我不希望你受伤 |
[26:54] | Listen to me. | 你听我说 |
[26:55] | Talking to others as if I weren’t the only one in the universe. | 跟别人聊聊 别把自己当成宇宙的中心 |
[26:58] | When will I learn? | 我什么时候才明白? |
[27:00] | No, when will we learn? | 不 我们什么时候才能明白? |
[27:02] | That you are always right. | 你总是对的 |
[27:07] | That it makes sense to start a bar room brawl. | 在酒吧挑事是有情可原的 |
[27:10] | That it’s perfectly reasonable to get into a shoving match at the office. | 在办公室举办推人大赛也是有充分理由的 |
[27:15] | Nothing could be going on with you. | 没有事情是因为你的问题 |
[27:20] | When will we learn? | 我们什么时候才能明白? |
[27:26] | Get help. | 找人帮帮你吧 |
[27:39] | We had an expression in this country years ago called “where’s the beef?” | 我们国家数年前有一种说法 叫做 “牛肉在哪儿?” |
[27:43] | Translation, where’s the substance? | 意指为 实质的东西在哪儿? |
[27:46] | Your honor, do you know anybody | 法官大人 你认识的人中 |
[27:49] | who’s been victimized by mad cow disease? | 有疯牛病的受害者吗? |
[27:52] | Know anybody who knows anybody? | 你认识的人里有认识的吗? |
[27:55] | Know anybody who knows anybody who knows anybody? | 认识的人里有人认识认识疯牛病患者的人吗? |
[28:01] | There’s simply not a shred of evidence to | 目前没有一丁点证据 |
[28:04] | suggest that a single person in this country | 能表明这个国家有人 |
[28:06] | has ever become ill from a mad cow. | 曾经患过疯牛病 |
[28:10] | But why wait? | 但是为什么要等有人患病呢? |
[28:13] | That’s the mayor’s jingle. | 这是市长的给出的警示 |
[28:14] | Why wait? | 为什么等? |
[28:17] | Because this man and others like him | 因为这个男人和其它像他一样的人 |
[28:19] | have sacrificed their lives and their livelihoods building their restaurants. | 用尽了他们一生的时间和精力 建设他们的餐厅 |
[28:24] | Maybe as a courtesy, | 也许只是出于善意 |
[28:26] | we could wait for a scintilla of evidence | 我们可以先等到有苗头出现 |
[28:29] | before arbitrarily destroying their businesses. | 再利用司法毁掉他们的餐厅 |
[28:33] | The fact is, | 事实是 |
[28:34] | the USDA has done an exemplary job conducting tests, | 农业部在检测程序方面很规范 |
[28:38] | establishing safeguards to prevent the outbreak of mad cow disease, | 他们建立了保卫措施 防止疯牛病爆发 |
[28:42] | which is probably why it hasn’t broken out. | 这很可能就是疯牛病未爆发的原因 |
[28:44] | Well, we could give in to our fear and panic… | 嗯 我们可以让害怕和恐慌吞噬我们… |
[28:48] | baseless panic. | 那些恐慌毫无根据 |
[28:50] | but that would make us… | 但那样会让我们变成… |
[28:56] | a nation of nansy-pansies. | 一个胆小的民族 |
[29:00] | I don’t know about you, but… | 我不知道您 但是… |
[29:02] | I don’t want to be a nansy-pansy. | 我不想做胆小鼠辈 |
[29:11] | Towns make rules all the time. | 城镇总是在不停地立规矩 |
[29:13] | Lots of them zoned fast-food restaurants out of business. | 很多镇都禁止速食餐厅营业 |
[29:17] | Through permits, | 通过发放许可证 |
[29:18] | they can control how you build your house. | 他们可以限制你建什么样的房子 |
[29:22] | Some towns ban alcohol, cigarettes. | 有些镇子禁酒禁烟 |
[29:25] | Others have curfews. | 其他的有宵禁 |
[29:26] | We do all kinds of things. | 我们什么法都立 |
[29:29] | The only legal requirement is that the laws are reasonable. | 唯一的立法要求是具备合理性 |
[29:33] | It is not unreasonable to fear an outbreak of mad cow disease. | 惧怕疯牛病的爆发不是不合理的 |
[29:39] | We’ve had a case in Washington state, | 华盛顿有一个案例 |
[29:41] | another last month in Canada. | 上个月在加拿大又有一例 |
[29:44] | We just lifted the ban on Canadian beef. | 我们刚刚加大了对加拿大牛肉进口的限制 |
[29:47] | The incubation period for this disease could be decades. | 这种病的潜伏期可能有几十年 |
[29:50] | We have no guarantee that we’re not already infected. | 我们不能确保我们到现在为止还没被感染 |
[29:54] | It is simply reckless | 当科学界无能为力时 |
[29:56] | for the government to be injecting certainty | 让政府来给我们保证 |
[29:59] | when the scientific community cannot. | 是非常莽撞的 |
[30:01] | And forget mad cow. | 先不提疯牛病 |
[30:02] | We already know that eating beef can cause high cholesterol, heart disease. | 我们都知道吃牛肉会引起高胆固醇 心脏病 |
[30:07] | It increases the risk of colon cancer. | 还会增加结肠癌的患病机率 |
[30:09] | There’s listeria and E. coli, which has already killed people. | 牛肉含有能致命的利斯特杆菌和大肠杆菌 |
[30:14] | Dioxin, | 二恶英 |
[30:15] | the poison that almost killed the Ukrainian president, | 差点害乌克兰总统丧命的毒药 |
[30:18] | that stuff is on our grazing grass. | 那东西就在我们的牧草上 |
[30:22] | Scientists say the average American has | 科学家称美国人人均 |
[30:24] | about 10 units of dioxin in their blood fat | 血液中含有十个单位的二恶英 |
[30:27] | simply from eating animal fat. | 都是从动物脂肪中获取的 |
[30:31] | There are all kinds of reasonable justifications | 我们有很多合理的解释 |
[30:36] | for a mayor to try to reduce red meat from the diet of his citizenry. | 足以让市长尽力减少市民膳食中的红肉含量 |
[30:40] | And let me remind you. | 而且 让我来提请各位注意 |
[30:42] | there is nothing… | 没有这么一条… |
[30:45] | nothing in the constitution | 宪法中没有任何一条 |
[30:48] | that guarantees anybody the right to sell a hamburger. | 保证有人能享有卖汉堡的权利 |
[31:21] | This wasn’t self-defense. | 这不是自卫 |
[31:22] | Mr. Shore was not under any physical threat | Shore先生在雇第一个人去打架的时候 |
[31:25] | when he paid the first man to fight. | 没有收到任何物理攻击 |
[31:27] | This was vengeance for hire. | 这是因报复而起的一次雇佣 |
[31:30] | And once that violence began, he started paying others to escalate it. | 暴力一经开始 他又雇其他人使暴力升级 |
[31:33] | These facts are not in dispute. | 这些事实毋庸置疑 |
[31:36] | The only real question for you here is, | 你们唯一要解决的问题是 |
[31:39] | is Mr. Shore above the law or not? | Shore先生有没有违反法律? |
[31:56] | I’ve been accused of, | 我被指控 |
[31:59] | reflectively, perhaps even glibly, | 经过深思地 或许是流畅地 |
[32:03] | orchestrating a little revenge. | 策划了这起小的报复 |
[32:07] | Well, I guess that’s how I wanted it to look. | 嗯 我想我大概想让事情看起来如此 |
[32:10] | A man punched me in the face | 一个男人朝我脸上打了一拳 |
[32:14] | in front of my girlfriend. | 就在我女朋友面前 |
[32:16] | And while my instinct was to hit him back, | 我的本能是回敬他一拳 |
[32:21] | the truth is, I was afraid. | 事实是 我害怕了 |
[32:25] | I was fearful that if I retaliated, he would… | 我害怕要是我还击了 他会… |
[32:32] | beat me up. | 把我打趴下 |
[32:34] | So I got somebody else to do my fighting. | 所以我找其他人来替我打架 |
[32:37] | Then things got out of hand. | 接着事情一发不可收拾 |
[32:42] | And, well… | 然后 嗯… |
[32:45] | I had to send more and more troops | 我只得派送越来越多的人 |
[32:49] | to a war that should’ve ended quickly. | 到这个本该早早结束的战争中 |
[32:53] | But make no mistake, | 但是毫无疑问 |
[32:55] | my reaction that night was not so much reflective as it was… | 我当晚的反应与其说是经过深思 不如说是… |
[33:06] | primal. | 原始的 |
[33:09] | A man hit me. | 一个男人打了我 |
[33:13] | And while we like to think of ourselves as being evolved… | 鉴于我们喜习惯于认为自己经历过进化… |
[33:24] | maybe I should’ve just hit him. | 也许我应该干脆打他 |
[33:29] | There’s a warrior that lies within the belly of every man. | 每个人都有英勇的一面 |
[33:34] | A warrior who, in my case, has always gone unsatisfied. | 就我而言 这一面总是被压制着 |
[33:39] | I tried to satisfy him but without pain. | 我试着不受伤痛就能展现那一面 |
[33:44] | That’s what the craven do, sometimes. | 那是懦夫的做法 |
[33:48] | They stand out of the fray, | 他们将自己置之度外 |
[33:50] | thump their egos along with their chests, | 把自我压抑在胸膛里 |
[33:56] | and let others do the fighting. | 然后让别人来打架 |
[34:31] | Well, thank you all for staying late. | 谢谢各位在此等候 |
[34:36] | I did some research of my own. | 我自己做了一些调查 |
[34:39] | As you may know, I pride myself on being a conscientious fact finder. | 如你们所知 我以自己对事实一丝不苟的发现精神自豪 |
[34:43] | Here we go. | 开始了 |
[34:48] | Mad cow disease is here. | 疯牛病就在这儿 |
[34:50] | And for all the guarantees supplied by the government, | 政府提出的所有保障 |
[34:52] | the scientific community doesn’t back them up. | 从来没有得到过科学家的支持 |
[34:54] | We all have a right to be concerned. | 我们有权担心 |
[34:58] | The governmental agencies in place to protect us | 用以保护我们的政府机构 |
[35:00] | seem to be controlled by the industries we need protection from. | 好像被我们担心的对象-工厂所控制着 |
[35:05] | This mad cow disease started out in Europe and worked its way over here, | 疯牛病始于欧洲 后一路传播到此 |
[35:08] | and it is true the scientists are at odds with our government, | 科学家和政府意见不一 也是事实 |
[35:13] | but as a trier of fact, | 但是作为事实的审判者 |
[35:15] | a judge must rely on facts. | 一名法官必须依赖于事实 |
[35:19] | And there is no evidence of an epidemic. | 目前没有证据表明发生疫情 |
[35:22] | If a judge were to allow himself to be governed by fear alone, | 如果一名法官让自己的心被恐惧占领 |
[35:25] | well, then it is true, and I agree, | 哦 那么没错 我也同意 |
[35:27] | it would make him a… | 他就会是一个… |
[35:31] | a nansy-pansy. | 胆小鼠辈 |
[35:34] | This judge is anything but. | 这名法官绝不是 |
[35:36] | I find the law banning the sale of red meat | 我认为红肉销售的禁制令 |
[35:39] | to be premature, if not capricious, and it is hereby overturned. | 提出过早 如果这条法律不是变化无常的 那么我宣布废除 |
[35:43] | Way to go, judge. | 做得好 法官 |
[35:46] | Case adjourned. | 休庭 |
[35:50] | Anybody up for a burger? | 有人要去吃汉堡吗? |
[35:52] | Thank you, thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢你们 |
[35:55] | Thank God. | 感谢上帝 |
[36:00] | Well, Denny, I admit, I had my doubts. | Denny 我承认 我有过怀疑 |
[36:03] | But you won this case. Thank you. | 但是你打赢了这场官司 谢谢你 |
[36:06] | Does this mean we’re having sex tonight? | 那是不是说我们今晚可以做爱了? |
[36:10] | Allow me the dream a little longer. | 让我再多做一会儿美梦 |
[36:15] | I won the day. | 我赢了官司 |
[36:18] | I deserve to be rewarded. | 我理应被奖励 |
[36:20] | I’ll give you this. | 我给你这个 |
[36:25] | Denny, Denny, | Denny 嗯 Denny |
[36:29] | Denny Crane. | Denny 嗯 Crane |
[36:50] | I must be acquitted. She’s not smiling. | 我肯定被开释了 她都不笑了 |
[36:54] | Madam foreperson, you’ve reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团主席 你们达成一致裁定了吗? |
[36:57] | – We have, your honor. – What say you? | – 达成了 法官大人 – 你们的意见是? |
[37:00] | Commonwealth vs. Alan Shore, | 英联邦控告Alan Shore |
[37:02] | on the count of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, | 怂恿他人严重人身伤害罪 |
[37:05] | we find the defendant Alan Shore not guilty. | 我们认为 被告Alan Shore无罪 |
[37:10] | We appeal, judge. | 我方要求上诉 法官 |
[37:14] | Members of the jury, this completes your service. You can go. | 陪审团成员 你们的职责已尽 你们可以走了 |
[37:18] | Mr. Shore. | Shore先生 |
[37:20] | This probably doesn’t have to be goodbye | 这事暂时还没完 |
[37:23] | so much as until we meet again. | 也许我们会再见 |
[37:26] | Yes, your honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[37:31] | She’s attracted to me. | 她对我有意思 |
[37:34] | No doubt. | 肯定的 |
[37:36] | Tara… | Tara啊… |
[37:38] | I am sorry. | 对不起 |
[37:41] | I never meant to put you in any danger. | 我从没想过将你置身危险之中 |
[37:44] | I know. | 我知道 |
[37:48] | When you… | 当你… |
[37:53] | launched into that diatribe about me being the… | 骂我的时候 说我是… |
[37:57] | The universe? | 宇宙? |
[38:02] | You even said you were sick of it. | 你甚至说你厌烦了 |
[38:07] | Are you sick of me? | 你烦我了吗? |
[38:14] | Are you sick of me, Tara? | 你烦我了吗 Tara? |
[38:19] | No. | 没有 |
[38:30] | As much as I… | 正如我… |
[38:34] | loathe sentiment together with its expression, | 极度地厌恶这种表达 以及它蕴含的情感一样 |
[38:39] | I cherish you. | 我非常珍视你 |
[38:44] | You should just know… | 你应该知道… |
[38:51] | you really, really smell good. | 你问起来真的很香 |
[38:57] | You smell good, too. | 你也很香 |
[39:32] | How’d you do? | 你怎么样? |
[39:34] | The jury was out 15 minutes. Not guilty. | 陪审团讨论了十五分钟 无罪 |
[39:37] | They took pity on me. | 他们可怜我 |
[39:40] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[39:45] | I heard you won. | 我听说你赢了 |
[39:49] | Everything okay? | 一切还顺利吗? |
[39:53] | I don’t have Alzheimer’s. | 我患的不是老年痴呆症 |
[39:57] | I have mad cow disease. | 我患的是疯牛病 |
[40:01] | Well, it’s nice to finally know. | 终于知道了真相了 真好 |
[40:11] | Ever beat up anybody with your bare hands? | 你赤手空拳打赢过架吗? |
[40:16] | Many times. | 有很多次 |
[40:19] | Why? | 怎么了? |
[40:22] | Just asking. | 就是问问 |
[40:24] | Have you? | 你呢? |
[40:28] | No. | 没有 |
[40:32] | Well… | 哦… |
[40:35] | it makes you a better man than I, I guess. | 我想 那你比我人更好 |
[40:41] | I guess so. | 我想是吧 |