时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:12] | It is also my expert opinion that the document analysis is reliable, | 从我的专业角度来看 这份文件分析是可信赖的 |
[00:17] | as these handwriting samples are comparatively similar. | 因为这些笔迹样本都相当的相似 |
[00:23] | – I am so bored. – Shh. | – 我快无聊死了 – 嘘 |
[00:25] | I need to get back to the office. | 我要回办公室 |
[00:27] | I have so much work to do on the Myers case. | Myers的案子还有好多事情要做 |
[00:29] | The sample provided on the top | 上面的样本 |
[00:31] | contains the same content | 下面的原始材料 |
[00:34] | as the original on the bottom. | 内容是一样的 |
[00:36] | Namely, they are both the subject’s signature, no pun intended. | 也就是说 它们都是当事人的签名 这不是双关语 |
[00:45] | “Namely.” | 就是”姓名” |
[00:49] | This is actually killing me. | 我真要被折磨死了 |
[00:51] | Part of me is dying. | 我能感觉到生命的流失 |
[00:52] | Shh. | 嘘 |
[00:54] | I have a bomb! | 我有炸弹! |
[01:00] | This is better. | 这可很有趣 |
[01:01] | Remember me, Judge? | 还记得我吗 法官大人? |
[01:02] | 15 to 20 for aggravated manslaughter? | 过失杀人罪 你判了15到20年监禁? |
[01:05] | Well, I got out today. | 我今天出狱了 |
[01:07] | And you know what? | 而且你知道吗? |
[01:08] | I’m still aggravated! | 我依然很想杀人! |
[01:11] | Sit down! | 坐下! |
[01:13] | Do you mind? We’re trying to conduct a trial here. | 这位先生? 我们正在审理案子呢 |
[01:16] | Get over here! | 过来! |
[01:22] | Did you hear me? | 你没听见吗? |
[01:24] | I said I had a bomb. | 我说了我有炸弹 |
[01:25] | No, you don’t and here’s why. | 不 你没有 理由就是 |
[01:27] | A, you said “manslaughter”, | 首先 你犯了”过失杀人罪” |
[01:29] | which means that you didn’t have the guts | 说明你原先就根本 |
[01:30] | for murder one the first time around. | 没有勇气杀人 |
[01:32] | B, if you’re clever enough to make that aggravation choke, | 其次 既然你懂得用处在愤怒中来减轻罪责 |
[01:35] | you’re clever enough to know that threatening to have a bomb | 你更该懂得 威胁说有炸弹比 |
[01:37] | carries a much lesser sentence than actually wearing one. | 实际携带炸弹 量刑轻得多 |
[01:40] | C, that coat is fairly svelte. | 再次 你的外套很贴身 不像有东西 |
[01:42] | And D, if you really had a bomb, | 最后 如果你真有炸弹 |
[01:44] | you wouldn’t need to have a hostage. | 你就不需要人质了 |
[01:48] | Would you? | 对吗? |
[01:50] | I do have a bomb. | 我真有炸弹 |
[01:51] | Come on, we’ve got two more expert witnesses to get through by lunch. | 拜托 我们还要传唤完两个专家证人 才能吃中饭 |
[01:54] | I’m assuming you can speed through your testimony | 你应该能说快点 |
[01:57] | – just to keep up with our schedule? – Uh-huh. | – 让我们能赶上进度吧? – 可以 |
[01:58] | You sit down, or I’ll blow this thing! | 你坐下 要不然我就引爆了 |
[02:00] | – You don’t have a bomb. – Yes, I do! | – 你没有炸弹 – 不 我有! |
[02:02] | – No, you don’t. – Yes, I do. | – 不 你没有 – 不 我有 |
[02:03] | – Prove it. – Mr. Chase, perhaps… | – 证明给我看 – Chase先生 可能… |
[02:04] | I was a hostage negotiator as a marine. | 我曾经是海军陆战队的谈判专家 |
[02:07] | This man does not have a bomb. | 这人绝对没有炸弹 |
[02:09] | – I do, too! – You’re interrupting, sir. | – 我有! – 请别打断我 先生 |
[02:11] | – Mr. Chase… – Show me the bomb. | – Chase先生… – 把炸弹让我看看 |
[02:13] | I’ll blow this thing! | 我要引爆了! |
[02:14] | – Mr. Chase! – Show it to me. | – Chase先生! – 给我看看啊 |
[02:17] | I’m not gonna show you. | 我才不会给你看呢 |
[02:20] | I didn’t think so. | 我也这么想 |
[02:23] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[02:47] | What do you know? | 谁知道呢? |
[02:49] | Boston Legal 1×09 A Greater Good | |
[03:21] | What’s that thing? | 那是什么? |
[03:24] | It’s an ornament. A Christmas tree ornament. | 装饰品 圣诞树上的装饰品 |
[03:27] | You can’t go to court like that. | 你不能带着这个上庭 |
[03:29] | Of course not. | 当然不行 |
[03:32] | You okay, Denny? | 你还好吗 Denny? |
[03:35] | It’s this case. | 是这个案子 |
[03:37] | It seems like I’ve done nothing else but work on it for the last three weeks. | 过去三周我都扑在这个案子上 其他啥也没做 |
[03:40] | What in particular about the case is bothering you? | 有什么特别困扰你的吗? |
[03:44] | I don’t know what it’s about. | 我压根搞不懂它是怎么回事 |
[03:47] | It’s, well, if you, say, | 就是 比如 就是你吧 |
[03:50] | were going to briefly describe it to someone who was clueless, | 要给一个完全不了解这件案子的人大概解释一下 |
[03:53] | what would you say? | 你要怎么说? |
[03:54] | I’d say we represent a big drug company… | 我会说 我们的当事人是一家大制药公司… |
[03:57] | Yes, that’s the part I like. | 恩 我喜欢这个部分 |
[03:59] | Then I’d say they’re being sued by a woman | 然后 我会说一个女人起诉了这家公司 |
[04:01] | who claims she was wrongfully removed | 主张公司以不正当的理由 把她剔除出了 |
[04:03] | from the company’s clinical trial of a potent, new diabetes medicine. | 一种新的糖尿病特效药的临床试验 |
[04:07] | That’s where I lose track. | 到这里我就不明白了 |
[04:10] | Special pills make woman happy. | 那个女人喜欢吃那种药 |
[04:13] | Company take pills away. | 制药公司不让她吃 |
[04:15] | Woman sue to get back on special pills. | 女人起诉要求继续让她吃药 |
[04:19] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[04:21] | Denny. | Denny啊 |
[04:23] | Martin. Hey. | Martin 嗨 |
[04:25] | Martin. | Martin啊 |
[04:27] | You remember Alan Shore? | 你记得Alan Shore吗? |
[04:30] | It’s an ornament. | 这是个装饰品 |
[04:32] | I head the Office Cheer Committee. | 我是事务所欢乐委员会会长 |
[04:34] | Since I received no late night call last night, I assume we didn’t settle. | 昨晚没接到电话 所以我猜和解不成功是吧 |
[04:37] | We informed your in-house counsel. | 我们已经通知你们公司的法律顾问了 |
[04:39] | I like to hear things from you. | 我想直接听你说 |
[04:41] | I feel I have a direct relationship with you. | 我认为我们俩要直接联系 |
[04:45] | We didn’t settle. | 和解不成功 |
[04:47] | I don’t really understand this. | 我真是不明白 |
[04:49] | Every legal opinion I’ve gotten says the merits fall | 我听到的法律意见都认为 |
[04:51] | one-sidedly in our favor. | 法律站在我们这边 |
[04:53] | Legal opinions only go to the law, Mr. Jeffries. | 法律意见只是从法律角度考虑 Jeffries先生 |
[04:57] | I had opportunity to view the plaintiff’s videotaped deposition. | 我听了原告作证的录音带 |
[05:00] | She comes off as an extremely sympathetic and likable person. | 她听起来非常可怜 也很讨人喜欢 |
[05:04] | And? | 而? |
[05:05] | You don’t. | 你完全不是那样 |
[05:08] | Our fear, and the plaintiff’s hope, | 我们最怕的 也是原告最希望看到的 |
[05:11] | is that the jury will like her and feel for her pain | 是陪审团喜欢她 同情她的痛苦 |
[05:14] | and attempt to alleviate said pain | 希望能帮她减轻痛苦 |
[05:16] | with millions and millions of your dollars. | 而方法是让您赔几百万块给她 |
[05:22] | I was under the impression I hired attorneys who could employ reason | 我以为我雇的律师 |
[05:27] | and intellect to offset the emotion inuring to the plaintiff’s favor. | 有办法让这些同情心消失呢 |
[05:31] | Did I hire the wrong law firm, Mr. Shore? | 我是不是找错了事务所了 Shore先生? |
[05:34] | Certainly not, sir. | 当然不是 先生 |
[05:35] | You’ve hired the best. | 你雇了最好的律师 |
[05:49] | Paul. | Paul啊 |
[05:50] | The Myers age discrimination case. | Myers年龄歧视的案子 |
[05:53] | We just got the DVD-ROM delivered. | 我们才收到DVD |
[05:54] | 6,500 pages of Mcnamara documents, | 还有6500页的Mcnamara的文件 |
[05:57] | every useless document they could dump on here. | 他们把所有没用的文件都扔过来了 |
[05:59] | Well, they’re probably not ready, and this is meant to slow us down. | 看来他们没准备好 想拖慢我们的进度 |
[06:02] | Right, and they want to force us to ask for a continuance | 对 他们想逼我们申请延长举证期 |
[06:05] | because they know Judge Simmons won’t give them anymore. | 因为他们知道Simmons法官不会再给他们延期 |
[06:07] | Well, we won’t be asking for one. Uh, Miss Heep. | 我们不会申请的 呃 Heep小姐 |
[06:09] | Uh, Miss Wilson. | 啊 Wilson小姐 |
[06:11] | We have a trial next week. Lori will fill you in. | 下周有个案子要开庭 Lori会跟你们细说 |
[06:14] | I want you to pour through this document. | 我要你们浏览一下这些文件 |
[06:16] | The likelihood is it contains nothing relevant, | 可能里面什么有用信息也没有 |
[06:18] | but we can’t take any chances. | 但我们不能冒险 |
[06:19] | Lori will tell you what to look for. | Lori会告诉你们找什么 |
[06:21] | I’m sorry. Um… | 对不起 嗯… |
[06:22] | can you get somebody to take my place on this, please? | 能不能找人替我做这个? |
[06:25] | You have something else more pressing? | 你还有更紧急的事情吗? |
[06:27] | No, but I prefer not to work on this case. | 不 但我不想做这个案子 |
[06:29] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[06:31] | It’s personal. | 个人原因 |
[06:32] | You’re making it professional. | 你的个人原因正在影响工作 |
[06:34] | I’m, I’m just not… | 我 我只是不想… |
[06:36] | I, I’m uncomfortable working with Tara. | 我不想跟Tara一起工作 |
[06:43] | Because? | 原因? |
[06:44] | I used to sleep with Alan Shore, and now she does. | 我以前和Alan Shore睡过 而现在她们搞在一起 |
[06:47] | And she wants to. | 还有她 也有此意 |
[06:49] | I do not. | 我没有 |
[07:04] | How dare you make a remark to one of the most senior partners of this firm | 你怎么能跟公司最资深的合伙人之一说 |
[07:08] | that I want to sleep with another associate here. | 我想跟我同事上床 |
[07:11] | Even if I did want to sleep with Alan Shore, | 就算我想跟Alan Shore上床 |
[07:13] | which, I assure you, I do not, | 当然 我向你保证 我并不想 |
[07:15] | but even if your remark was truthful, | 但是即使你说的是真的 |
[07:16] | it would not make it any less inappropriate. | 这也是极不合适的 |
[07:19] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[07:21] | I apologize. | 我道歉 |
[07:24] | – Do you bear some ill will towards me? – No. | – 你是不是讨厌我? – 没有 |
[07:28] | I suppose I regressed to the childish defense that | 我想那只是个孩子气的反驳 |
[07:30] | “Everybody else is doing it.” | “其他人都这么做” |
[07:32] | But I’m not doing it, Tara. | 但我没有和他上床 Tara |
[07:33] | I’m not sleeping with Mr. Shore, which you very well know. | 我没有 你很清楚啊 |
[07:36] | I only said you wanted to. | 我只说你想要 |
[07:38] | And, again, I apologize. | 还有 我再次道歉 |
[07:41] | My remark was, as you say, | 我说的话 就像你说的 |
[07:42] | completely inappropriate, | 非常不合适 |
[07:45] | however accurate. | 不过是对的 |
[07:58] | I have had Type II diabetes since I was 25. | 我从25岁就得了二型糖尿病 |
[08:01] | It’s been the same medicines pretty much the whole time. | 几乎一直服用同种药物 |
[08:04] | And when you were invited to participate in a clinical trial of SV-113, | 当你受邀参加SV-113的临床实验时 |
[08:09] | what did your daily regimen become? | 你每天吃多少药? |
[08:12] | I took one pill in the morning when I woke up. | 我清早起床吃一粒 |
[08:15] | That’s all? | 就这样? |
[08:16] | That was it. | 没错 |
[08:17] | I had more energy, I was even losing weight, | 我觉得精力充沛 我甚至瘦了些 |
[08:20] | and no more needles. | 而且不用再打针了 |
[08:22] | It was a godsend | 那简直是神药 |
[08:25] | until they took it away. | 但后来他们不再让我实验了 |
[08:27] | And how did that happen? | 为什么会这样? |
[08:28] | My doctor told me that the company had kicked me off the test. | 我的医生说制药公司把我从实验名单中剔除了 |
[08:32] | He said that I had broken the rules of the trial, but I didn’t. | 他说我违反了实验规则 但我没有 |
[08:36] | I didn’t do anything wrong. | 我没做任何违规的事 |
[08:37] | And after you were taken off the test? | 你停药后感觉怎么样呢? |
[08:39] | My health deteriorated again rapidly. | 我的健康状况很快就恶化了 |
[08:42] | Can you tell us your prognosis today? | 你能告诉我们你现在病情怎样吗? |
[08:47] | I’m dying. | 我快死了 |
[08:49] | I’ve got probably five to six years, | 我大概还能活五到六年 |
[08:51] | unless something changes drastically. | 除非有什么大的转机 |
[08:54] | What reason did the company give for | 公司以什么理由把你从SV-113的 |
[08:56] | removing you from the SV-113 study? | 实验名单中剔除? |
[08:59] | Noncompliance, but I complied. | 违规 但我一直遵守规则 |
[09:02] | You’re a heavy smoker, is that correct, Mrs. Hewitt? | 你的烟瘾很大 对吗 Hewitt夫人? |
[09:06] | I quit. | 我戒了 |
[09:06] | When did you quit, if I may ask? | 如果可以的话 我想问问什么时候戒的? |
[09:09] | A week before the study. | 实验开始前一周 |
[09:10] | Just like that, two packs a day. Cold turkey. | 就那样吗 原本每天两包 突然就戒了 |
[09:13] | My life depended on it. | 那药攸关我的生死 |
[09:15] | Some of the doctors and clinicians, | 有些医生和临床医生 |
[09:18] | uh, smelled cigarette smoke on you during your exams. | 呃 进行实验的检测时 在你身上闻到烟味 |
[09:22] | My husband’s a chain smoker. | 我老公的烟瘾也很大 |
[09:23] | It was his smoke they smelled on my clothes. | 我身上是他的烟味 |
[09:25] | Amazing. You smoked two packs a day, | 奇了 你每天要抽两包 |
[09:27] | you live with a chain smoker, | 还跟一个烟瘾大的人一起生活 |
[09:28] | and you’re able to just quit cold turkey. | 你竟然能突然就戒烟 |
[09:31] | – Objection. – Sustained. | – 反对 – 反对有效 |
[09:33] | Mrs. Hewitt, 177 million people in the world have diabetes. | Hewitt夫人 这世上有17.7亿人患有糖尿病 |
[09:38] | This drug study is the only way to get SV-113, | 要让你说的神药SV-113被批准销售 |
[09:43] | the drug you yourself called a godsend, approved for sale. | 唯一途径是进行这个实验 |
[09:47] | 177 million people are counting on you | Hewitt夫人 有17.7亿人都指望着 |
[09:52] | to follow the rules, Mrs. Hewitt. | 你能遵守规则进行实验 |
[09:54] | Which I did. | 我遵守了 |
[09:55] | With the stakes being so enormously high, | 这里的风险是如此之高 |
[09:58] | with some 70,000 people dying | 每年有70000人 |
[10:02] | every year from diabetes | 因糖尿病死亡 |
[10:04] | with a desperate need to develop a drug | 他们非常急需 |
[10:06] | that can save those lives, | 研发出一种能救命的新药 |
[10:08] | you realize how important it is | 你应该明白排除所有风险 |
[10:10] | for my client not to take any chances, don’t you? | 对我的委托人来说有多重要 对吗? |
[10:17] | I followed all the rules. | 我遵守了所有规则 |
[10:23] | All in all, I don’t think she hurt us. | 总之 我觉得她没影响到我们 |
[10:25] | She hurt us. I saw the jury. | 有影响 我看到陪审团的表情了 |
[10:27] | How badly she hurt us, where’s our expert? | 影响还很大啊 我们的专家呢? |
[10:29] | Should be waiting in the conference room. | 应该在会议室等着呢 |
[10:30] | I’ll meet you there. | 我们在那儿见 |
[10:33] | Sally, may I offer you one little piece of advice? | Sally 我能给你个小建议吗? |
[10:37] | Okay. | 好的 |
[10:39] | You’re an extremely beautiful young woman. | 你是个很美的年轻女人 |
[10:41] | – Thanks for the tip. – That’s not the advice. | – 谢谢你的提醒 – 这还不是建议 |
[10:43] | The advice is, be aware of lecherous senior partners | 我想说 小心那些老色狼合伙人 |
[10:46] | who are looking for the slightest excuse | 他们在寻找哪怕一丝丝的借口 |
[10:48] | to plant a big wet one on you. | 占你的便宜 |
[10:50] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[10:51] | They lurk, and when beautiful women such | 他们都潜伏着 等你这样的漂亮女人 |
[10:54] | as yourself stand under the mistletoe. | 站在槲寄生下 |
[10:58] | – Merry christmas, Sally. – Let’s go meet our expert, Denny. | – 圣诞快乐 Sally – 我们去见专家吧 Denny |
[11:00] | – I had a blood flow going. – No doubt. | – 我血脉喷张了 – 我不怀疑 |
[11:10] | Dr. Gerard. | Gerard医生 |
[11:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:18] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[11:19] | Single. | 单身 |
[11:21] | Alan Shore. | 这是Alan Shore |
[11:23] | Hello. | 你好 |
[11:24] | Very nice to meet you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[11:28] | – Well, should we get started? – We should. | – 我们可以开始了吗? – 可以 |
[11:31] | I’m afraid it’s gonna be a very long night. | 恐怕我们要度过一个漫长的夜晚 |
[11:33] | I’ll need to go over every inch of you with a fine-toothed comb. | 我们要认真梳理一下你 |
[11:36] | I beg your pardon, your testimony. | 哦抱歉 是你的证词 |
[11:39] | I’ll need to go over your testimony with the comb. | 认真梳理你的证词 |
[11:44] | Where are we going to do this? | 我们在哪儿谈? |
[11:45] | Right here. | 就在这儿 |
[12:11] | It’s not my case, Rene. | 这不是我的案子 Rene |
[12:12] | It’s Lori’s. | 是Lori的 |
[12:14] | I have no idea where she is. Hang on. | 我不知道她在哪儿 等等 |
[12:16] | Do you know where Lori is? | 你知道Lori在哪儿吗? |
[12:17] | No, I gotta run. I got that dinner thing. | 不 我要走了 有个饭局 |
[12:19] | Okay, go. | 好吧 你走吧 |
[12:20] | – Need a ride anywhere? – No, thanks. My car’s in the garage. | – 要我载你一程吗? – 不 谢谢 我的车就在车库里 |
[12:22] | All right, so, what’s the big emergency? | 好吧 到底有什么急事? |
[12:26] | Well, if you have him on the phone, then ask him. | 如果他在线上 问他啊 |
[12:28] | I don’t want anything I’m offering. | 我什么也不想要 我是要给出 |
[12:30] | Since we turned over that CD the last second, | 鉴于我们最后一刻才把CD给你们 |
[12:32] | we won’t oppose a continuance if you people want it. | 如果你们想要延长举证期的话 我们不反对 |
[12:38] | Say you need to page Lori, | 你就说 必须问问Lori |
[12:39] | ask if she can call him later, and then get his cell phone number. | 看看她能不能一会儿给他打电话 然后要到他的号码 |
[12:43] | Yeah. That’ll be great. | 好的 那样最好 |
[12:45] | Uh, my number’s 617-555-0194. | 呃 我的号码是617-555-0194 |
[12:49] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[12:52] | Well, well, well. | 哇 哇 哇 |
[12:56] | Can I get a beer? | 来杯啤酒? |
[13:01] | Oh! Oh! | 哦! 哦! |
[13:03] | – Fantastic! – Oh, I’m terribly sorry. | – 这下好了! – 哦 真是对不起 |
[13:05] | It’s all right. | 没关系 |
[13:06] | – It’s okay. – I’m embarrassed. | – 没关系 – 真是不好意思 |
[13:07] | I’ll pay for the dry cleaning, I assure you. | 我保证我会给你付干洗费 |
[13:10] | It’s okay. Really. | 没关系 真的 |
[13:15] | So besides Ms. Hewitt, there were 56 other people removed from the study. | 那么除了Hewitt小姐 还有另外56个人从实验中被剔除 |
[13:19] | For a drug of this magnitude, we have to be extremely cautious. | 对于这么重要的药 我们必须非常谨慎 |
[13:22] | But what motivated your caution? | 到底为什么这么谨慎? |
[13:27] | Please tell me it was more than a hunch. | 别说只是凭感觉 |
[13:29] | After all, these people do suffer from | 这些人毕竟是身患 |
[13:30] | a crippling, life-threatening disease, doctor. | 危及生命的疾病 医生 |
[13:33] | As do I. | 我也一样 |
[13:37] | I’m very sorry. | 非常抱歉 |
[13:39] | I understand the promise of a drug like this | 我自己很了解 |
[13:41] | on a very personal level, Mr. Shore. | 这药有多重要 Shore先生 |
[13:44] | But if it endangers people… | 但如果它对人有害… |
[13:46] | How does it endanger people? | 怎么有害? |
[13:50] | How are these 57 people endangered by SV-113? | SV-113怎么危害了到这57个人? |
[13:56] | 57, that’s an exceptionally large number | 57个 这也太多了 |
[13:58] | of people to purge, isn’t it, doctor? | 不是吗 医生? |
[14:02] | How are these people endangered? | 这些人到底受到什么危害? |
[14:06] | They weren’t. | 他们没有受到危害 |
[14:08] | Marybeth Hewitt and the 56 others were on a different drug. | Marybeth Hewitt和其他56个人参加的是另一种药的实验 |
[14:13] | It was a slight variation from SV-113 | 那是SV-113的一种轻度变异 |
[14:16] | that we had only begun to investigate. | 我们还在研发阶段 |
[14:19] | These people, they knew they were on this other drug. | 这些人知道自己参加的是另一种实验 |
[14:21] | No. | 不知道 |
[14:22] | So you gave an experimental, | 也就是说 你给57个人吃了 |
[14:25] | unproved drug to 57 people | 还在试验的未经批准的药 |
[14:29] | and told them they were taking something else? | 还告诉他们吃的是其他药? |
[14:31] | But as soon as we became aware of the side effects… | 但我们一发现副作用就… |
[14:33] | The headaches? | 你指头疼? |
[14:39] | There was onset of acute liver damage at about six weeks. | 约6周的时候会开始严重的肝损伤 |
[14:44] | There was one prior subject who went first, and complications… | 我们之前有一个实验者 还有其他并发症… |
[14:49] | Please don’t look at me as if… | 别像这样看我… |
[14:51] | What could possibly have impelled you to delude these people? | 你到底有什么好处 去欺骗这些人? |
[14:55] | You can’t understand. | 你不会明白的 |
[14:57] | It takes years to get a drug approved. | 新药被批准要很多年 |
[15:01] | And when you spend your life, | 当你花了一生的时间 |
[15:03] | I thought, the company thought… | 我以为 公司以为… |
[15:06] | that we had the next polio vaccine or penicillin. | 我们发现了下一个小儿麻痹疫苗或是青霉素 |
[15:09] | Except your penicillin turned out to be a poison. | 没想到你的青霉素其实是毒药 |
[15:12] | But as soon as we discovered it, the company shut the study down. | 但我们一发现副作用 就停止了实验 |
[15:16] | That’s why Mrs. Hewitt was taken off the drug she thinks was SV-113, | 这就是为什么Hewitt夫人会从她以为的SV-113实验中被剔除 |
[15:21] | to prevent liver failure. | 是为了避免肝功能衰竭 |
[15:33] | So you’re a therapist. | 所以你是个心理治疗师 |
[15:34] | De facto therapist. | 做治疗师的工作 |
[15:36] | I’m really a flight attendant, but everybody tells me their problems. | 我其实是空姐 但人人都向我倾诉他们的问题 |
[15:40] | Well, do you solve them? | 那你能解决吗? |
[15:42] | I do, actually. | 可以 |
[15:44] | Well, tell me mine. | 那你说说我的问题吧 |
[15:45] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[15:46] | My problem. | 我的问题 |
[15:47] | What am I lamenting at this very moment? | 我现在正为什么困扰? |
[15:51] | I’m embarrassed to say, actually. | 我不好意思说 |
[15:53] | I insist. Tell me. | 我要听 你说说看 |
[15:54] | You’re wishing your girlfriend looked like me. | 你希望你的女朋友能长得像我一样 |
[16:00] | Keep going. | 继续 |
[16:02] | You hate your job. | 你讨厌你的工作 |
[16:04] | Which is? | 是什么? |
[16:05] | I want to say accountant, | 我想说会计来着 |
[16:07] | but I’m going to say lawyer. | 但我还是觉得是律师 |
[16:11] | Am I that obvious? | 这么明显吗? |
[16:13] | I meet lawyers all the time. They fly a lot. | 我常见到律师 他们经常坐飞机 |
[16:15] | They’re constantly in distress over all the horrible things | 他们总是很困扰 因为他们要为 |
[16:19] | they have to do for their horrible clients. | 可怕的当事人们做恐怖的事情 |
[16:22] | What are you working on right now? | 你现在在做什么案子? |
[16:24] | A horrible case for a horrible client. | 一个可怕的当事人的一个可怕的案子 |
[16:27] | It’s age discrimination. | 有关年龄歧视 |
[16:29] | Mm. Plaintiff or defense? | 嗯 原告还是被告? |
[16:31] | Defense. | 被告 |
[16:32] | Ooh, bad boy. | 哦 坏男孩 |
[16:33] | Mm-hmm. Indeed. | 嗯 没错 |
[16:39] | – Whistle-blower? – Yes. | – 揭发? – 是的 |
[16:41] | Now, there are all sorts of protections | 现在 如果你决定揭发 |
[16:43] | avail yourself of should you decide to… | 有很多保护政策… |
[16:44] | Hold on a second. | 等一下 |
[16:45] | You’re advising a witness to turn state’s evidence against your own client? | 你建议一个证人告发同犯 提供对你的当事人不利的证据? |
[16:49] | I am. | 没错 |
[16:50] | Look, I was the one who pushed the study. | 听着 我是组织这个实验的人 |
[16:53] | I was the one who put those people on that drug. | 也是让那些人服用另一种药的人 |
[16:55] | And I suspect you were motivated by the drug’s promise, | 但我认为你是出于该药的药效 |
[16:57] | while your employer was motivated by greed. | 而你的老板是出于贪婪 |
[17:00] | Can’t you get disbarred for advising me to… | 但你不会因此吊销执照吗… |
[17:03] | Undoubtedly. | 毫无疑问 |
[17:04] | And should you lose your license, | 而且你也会被吊销执照 |
[17:05] | we could run off to Bali together and become bartenders. | 我们就可以一起去巴厘岛做服务生了 |
[17:10] | My life is here… | 我的生活属于这里… |
[17:13] | in medicine. | 属于医药事业 |
[17:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:17] | And you are in a unique position to remind your employer. | 你也是唯一一个人 有机会提醒你的老板 |
[17:20] | They, too, are in the business of medicine, not simply profit. | 他们也是医药行业的一员 不只是为了盈利 |
[17:26] | You need to blow the whistle, | 你应该去揭发他 |
[17:27] | and what’s more, you want to. | 而且 你也想要这么做 |
[17:43] | # It’s a holly, jolly Christmas. # | # 愉快的圣诞又来到 # |
[17:46] | # Best time of the year. # | # 每年此时最好 # |
[17:49] | # I don’t know if there’ll be snow but have a cup of cheer. # | # 会否下雪我不知道 请别吝啬欢笑 # |
[17:55] | # It’s a holly, jolly Christmas. # | # 愉快的圣诞又来到 # |
[17:59] | # And when you walk down the street # | # 当你走上街道 # |
[18:02] | # say hello to friends you know and everyone you meet. # | # 与好友打招呼 对每个人微笑 # |
[18:07] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[18:09] | Denny? | Denny啊? |
[18:10] | Set to go? | 可以走了吗? |
[18:11] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[18:12] | Oh, some office Christmas party next week, I do a number. | 哦 下周有个圣诞员工派对 我要表演节目 |
[18:16] | It’s good for morale, helps get me laid. | 可以涨涨士气 还有助于我泡妞 |
[18:18] | Are we off to court? | 现在去法院吗? |
[18:19] | Actually, I have a feeling court won’t be going forward today. | 事实上 我预感今天不用去法院了 |
[18:23] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[18:25] | Did something happen? | 发生了什么事? |
[18:26] | Was I in the room when it happened? | 我当时在不在场? |
[18:28] | It seems our client is guilty of a little noncompliance as well. | 似乎我们的当事人也有点小小的不合规 |
[18:32] | The actual test that… | 真正的实验… |
[18:37] | – We represent big drug company. – I’m with you. | – 我们的当事人是制药公司 – 我在听 |
[18:40] | Big drug company tell patients they take one pill while slipping them another. | 制药公司给患者服用一种药 却告诉他们吃的是另一种 |
[18:45] | You know this how? | 你怎么知道? |
[18:46] | Evidently, our expert witness comes armed | 很明显 我们的专家证人知道所有细节 |
[18:48] | not only with details, but a conscience. She told me. | 而且挺有良心 她告诉我的 |
[18:51] | – I believe she plans to tell the FDA. – Whoa. | – 我想她准备告诉食品及药物管理局 – 哇 |
[18:56] | Whistle-blower. | 揭发啊 |
[19:05] | Did you tell her to whistle-blow? | 是你让她去揭发的? |
[19:08] | I might have mentioned it. | 我可能提到了一下 |
[19:11] | Do you know how much this client is worth to this firm… | 你知道这个当事人对事务所来说值多少钱吗… |
[19:15] | and to me, personally? | 还有 对我个人来说? |
[19:16] | Nuts. | 是我傻了 |
[19:17] | I knew there was something I forgot to consider. | 我就说好像忘了考虑什么东西 |
[19:19] | Where is this woman? | 她人在哪儿? |
[19:20] | Hopefully, with the U.S. Attorney by now. | 应该跟检察官在一起吧 |
[19:23] | Oh, I’m sorry. Mr. Shore, there’s a Dr. Gerard waiting in reception. | 哦 不好意思 Shore先生 有位Gerard医生在会客室等您 |
[19:27] | Send her in. | 让她进来吧 |
[19:28] | That’s all right. I’ll go and greet her… | 没关系 我去跟她打个招呼… |
[19:29] | Send the woman in here. | 让她过来 |
[19:36] | Here’s good. | 这儿也行 |
[19:46] | Oh, Tara, | 哦 Tara |
[19:47] | we have a pre-trial conference set on Mcnamara at 2:00. | 我们两点在Mcnamara有点审前会议 |
[19:49] | How are you and Sally doing… | 你和Sally合作得怎么样… |
[19:51] | Remember the document that said that Mcnamara | 记不记得有个文件里说Mcnamara |
[19:52] | was incorporated in “19-efficiency-3,” | 是在”19-efficiency-3″成立的 |
[19:55] | we thought it was a typo? | 我们以为那是个打印错误? |
[19:56] | – Yeah. – Well, code broken. | – 记得 – 暗号破解了 |
[19:58] | They had a plan called the 40 factor, | 他们有个计划叫”40分子” |
[20:00] | which was designed to phase out workers who were 40 and older. | 内容是把40岁及以上的员工逐渐解雇 |
[20:04] | And replace them with younger employees | 用更年轻的员工取而代之 |
[20:06] | who would cost the company less. | 这样公司可以花费更少 |
[20:07] | Right. | 没错 |
[20:08] | They actually described the plan in memoranda | 他们在章程里写明了这一项 |
[20:11] | which were archived on the company’s hard drives. | 并归档到公司的硬盘处理器里 |
[20:14] | Gotta love the hubris. | 他们会为狂妄自大后悔的 |
[20:15] | But they then got nervous and did a search and replace | 但他们后来也有点担心 所以将”40″ |
[20:18] | to substitute the word “efficiency” for “40”. | 全部替换为了”efficiency” |
[20:20] | And “1943” became “19-efficiency-3.” | 那”1943″就变成”19-efficiency-3″(英文中 此处的4念做40) |
[20:23] | Exactly. | 对 |
[20:24] | How did you find this out? | 你怎么查出来的? |
[20:26] | I had drinks with opposing counsel last night. | 我昨晚和对方律师喝了点酒 |
[20:28] | – Quite a talker. – Wait a second. | – 他真能说 – 等等 |
[20:29] | He admitted this to you? | 他跟你承认了这些? |
[20:31] | Well, actually, he admitted it to a flight attendant. | 事实上 他是跟一个空姐说的 |
[20:33] | He didn’t know that I was an attorney for the other side. | 他并不知道我是对方律师 |
[20:37] | We’re not smiling. | 我们没笑 |
[20:39] | Why are we not smiling? | 我们难道不该笑? |
[20:41] | Tara, we can’t use this information. | Tara 我们不能用这个信息 |
[20:43] | I beg your pardon? | 什么? |
[20:44] | You tricked another attorney into violating privilege. | 你欺骗了一个律师向你透露保密信息 |
[20:46] | You can’t do that. | 你不能这么做 |
[20:47] | Last week, you impersonated a doctor. | 上周 你还假装一个医生呢 |
[20:49] | First, that was different. | 首先 那不一样 |
[20:51] | Second, the stakes were life and death. | 其次 那是人命关天的事 |
[20:53] | – Lori… – And third, I was wrong. | – Lori啊… – 还有 我做错了 |
[20:56] | In retrospect, I would never do it again. | 若是重来一次 我不会那么做 |
[20:58] | Well, we have the information, Lori. | 我们得到了这个信息 Lori |
[21:01] | So, if it’s a matter of ethics, | 所以 如果真要论职业道德 |
[21:03] | we absolutely have to tell the client that we have it. | 我们必须告诉当事人有这个信息 |
[21:13] | – I just don’t think I can do it. – Because? | – 我觉得我不能这么做 – 原因? |
[21:15] | Alan, these people have been very good to me for 10 years. | Alan 十年来这些人一直对我很好 |
[21:19] | Now, by people, you mean these corporate people | “这些人” 你是指公司里 |
[21:22] | who jeopardize public health | 极大程度地危害了 |
[21:23] | and safety on a massive scale in order to line their pockets? | 公共健康与安全以牟取暴利的人? |
[21:26] | They were convinced we had a possible cure based on my representations. | 他们是根据我的研究成果才相信那药有疗效的 |
[21:30] | I would as soon blow the whistle on myself rather than… | 我宁愿揭发我自己… |
[21:33] | Do that then. | 那就揭发吧 |
[21:34] | And what good would come of it, really? | 这到底有什么作用呢? |
[21:37] | May I express a thought? | 我能插一句吗? |
[21:38] | I so rarely get one. | 你们一直没让我说话 |
[21:40] | And I should preface this by admitting that | 我首先要承认 |
[21:41] | I’m so far up the ass of big business, I view the world as one giant colon. | 我一直替大公司做事 这个世界的肮脏事我见得多了 |
[21:46] | You’re right to prioritize loyalty, doctor. | 你把忠诚放在第一位是对的 医生 |
[21:49] | – Loyalties count for something. – Denny, please. | – 忠诚的确很重要 – Denny 拜托 |
[21:51] | I’m speaking, Alan. | 别打断我 Alan |
[21:52] | Doctors like science, right? They do the math. | 医生喜欢用科学的方法解决问题 对吧? 你们喜欢计算 |
[21:55] | Well, do the math on whistle-blowing. | 那么 算算揭发有什么好处 |
[21:57] | Nice concept, in theory. | 理论上 这是个好想法 |
[21:59] | Appeals to the altruistic inner self and all that, | 满足了自己的无私利他的良心之类的 |
[22:03] | but whistle-blowers end up penniless and ostracized. | 但揭发者往往最终身无分文 被人排斥 |
[22:08] | This thing’ll take years to get to court | 这事情真正得到解决要许多年 |
[22:11] | – while your life will be ruined tomorrow. – Denny, I can… | – 但你的生活却立马会被毁掉 – Denny 我可以… |
[22:13] | If Alan Shore suggests that you won’t get hurt far worse than your company, | 如果Alan Shore说你的下场至少不会有你的公司惨 |
[22:18] | he’s lying. | 那他就在撒谎 |
[22:21] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[22:29] | Our client is violating at least a half a dozen criminal laws | 我们的当事人至少违反了六条刑法 |
[22:32] | by secretly testing an unapproved drug, | 他们把不知情的人当成小白鼠 |
[22:34] | which causes liver failure, by the way, | 秘密实验未经批准的药 |
[22:36] | on unwitting human guinea pigs. | 顺便说一句 这药还会造成肝功能衰竭 |
[22:38] | Dr. Gerard is considering whether to go public. | Gerard医生在考虑要不要把这件事情公诸于众 |
[22:41] | I’m for it, Denny’s against. | 我支持 Denny反对 |
[22:43] | Do you have a vote? | 你偏向哪边? |
[22:44] | You seem like a man with a scintilla of morality. | 你看起来像是还有一点道德感的人 |
[22:48] | Alan, my vote’s the only one that counts. | Alan 我怎么选才是最关键的 |
[22:51] | And I’m not going public. | 我选择不揭发 |
[22:53] | You say that as if you have a choice, doctor. | 看来你已经下定决心了 医生 |
[22:55] | You see, the only way our client wins here is with your testimony. | 我们的当事人只有依靠你的证词才能胜诉 |
[23:00] | So, the clerk will swear you in you’ll take an oath to god. | 所以你上庭时必须对上帝宣誓 |
[23:03] | But as a scientist, | 但作为一个科学家 |
[23:05] | you are bound to an even higher standard. | 你还有更高的要求 |
[23:08] | To believe in god, all you need is faith. | 相信上帝 你只需要信念 |
[23:09] | To believe in science, you need to see the truth. | 而相信科学 你需要事实真相 |
[23:12] | You need to speak the truth, am I right? | 你必须说出真相 我说的对吗? |
[23:16] | If asked certain questions under oath, | 如果宣誓后 你被问到一些问题 |
[23:18] | you will answer truthfully because that’s who you are. | 你要如实回答 因为这是你做人的底线 |
[23:21] | You don’t know me, | 你不了解我 |
[23:23] | and you would never ask me questions that would torpedo your own case. | 你也不会问我不利于你的案子的问题 |
[23:26] | Ah, it seems it’s you that doesn’t know me. | 啊 看来是你不了解我了 |
[23:41] | Isn’t it exciting? | 这真是令人兴奋 不是吗? |
[23:50] | It’s absolutely unethical, Tara, for god’s sakes. | 看在上帝份上 这绝对不符合职业道德 Tara |
[23:52] | Please don’t lecture me. | 别对我说教 |
[23:53] | Hey, there’s nothing wrong with a lecture when it’s called for. | 嘿 该讲道理是时候就要讲道理 |
[23:56] | Attorneys at Crane, Poole & Schmidt do not go undercover as stewardesses | Crane Poole & Schmidt事务所的律师不会假扮一个空姐 |
[23:58] | to circumvent privilege. | 来获取保密信息 |
[24:00] | It is fraud, it is wrong, it is dishonest, | 这是欺诈 是不对的 不诚信的 |
[24:02] | it holds every member of this firm up to disrepute. | 这是给事务所每一个员工抹黑 |
[24:04] | – Breathe. – And what’s more, | – 喘口气先 – 而且 |
[24:05] | it hurts other clients at this firm, mine, Paul’s, Lori’s. | 这也会伤害到事务所的其他客户 我的 Paul的 Lori的 |
[24:08] | – How? – Breathe. | – 为什么? – 喘口气 |
[24:09] | Our reputation for fair dealing is at play at every settlement conference, | 在每次调解会议 动议申请和庭审中 |
[24:12] | every motion, every trial. | 我们以公平办案著称 |
[24:14] | If that reputation is compromised, the stain runs to all cases, not just… | 如果名誉遭到损害 往后每一桩案子都会抹上污点 不仅仅是… |
[24:17] | – Breathe. – Will you stop telling me to breathe? | – 喘口气 – 你能不能别再提醒我喘气了? |
[24:19] | I know how and when to breathe! | 我知道什么时间 怎么喘 |
[24:23] | This is about Alan Shore. | 这和Alan Shore有关 |
[24:26] | This is about some not-so-latent hostility. | 这是显而易见的敌意 |
[24:28] | – You’re out of line. – You’re out of line. | – 你过了 – 你才过了 |
[24:30] | You fancy the pants off Alan Shore, | 你想和他上床 |
[24:32] | so as long as we’re preaching honesty, | 既然我们在讲诚实 |
[24:34] | let’s be truthful about that. | 不如来说说实话 |
[24:39] | You know something, Tara? | 你知道吗 Tara? |
[24:41] | This does involve Alan. | 是和Alan有点关系 |
[24:43] | What happened in that bar last night? | 昨晚在酒吧发生了什么? |
[24:46] | You heard opposing counsel on his cell phone, | 你听见对方律师打电话 |
[24:47] | you sensed an incredible opportunity, | 你发现这是个绝佳机会 |
[24:49] | and you asked yourself, “what would Alan Shore do?” | 你就问自己 “如果是Alan Shore 他会怎么做?” |
[24:51] | And you likely did what he would have done. | 然后你做了他有可能做的事 |
[24:53] | Oh, and you’ve never done that, say, last week? | 哦 你难道从来没干过那种事 上周呢? |
[24:55] | No, I did. | 不 我是做过 |
[24:56] | And as I said, I was wrong. | 但我说了 我做错了 |
[25:02] | That’s all. You can go. | 好了 你走吧 |
[25:09] | What are you gonna do? | 你要怎么做? |
[25:11] | Haven’t decided. | 还没决定 |
[25:12] | – Well, you can’t not use… – I haven’t decided, Tara. | – 你难道不用… – 我还没决定 Tara |
[25:17] | You’re dismissed. | 你可以走了 |
[25:32] | Well, I’m sorry I lost my cool, | 不好意思 我刚才不太冷静 |
[25:34] | but you handled that perfectly. | 但你处理得很好 |
[25:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:42] | Did that have anything to do with Alan? | 这真的和Alan有关系吗? |
[25:46] | How does he do it? | 有什么关系? |
[25:48] | No matter what I do, no matter what anyone else says, | 无论我做什么 无论其他人怎么说 |
[25:50] | it’s always about Alan. | 总是绕着Alan转 |
[25:54] | It’s just a question. | 我只是问问 |
[25:57] | I should be the example for the young associates around here, not him. | 我才应当是新晋同事的榜样 不是他 |
[26:01] | Well, Tara is Alan’s girlfriend. | 哎 Tara是Alan的女朋友 |
[26:03] | Why is that? | 那又是为什么? |
[26:06] | I mean, why is she interested in him? | 为什么她会对他感兴趣? |
[26:08] | I ask you. | 我问你 |
[26:11] | Do you fancy Tara, Brad? | 你喜欢Tara吗 Brad? |
[26:13] | No, I’m just speaking in general terms, all the women here. | 不 我对事不对人 这里所有的女性 |
[26:16] | Yeah, you keep saying all the women, | 是啊 你一直说 所有的女性 |
[26:20] | but who specifically, Brad? | 你到底想问谁啊 Brad? |
[26:22] | You’re missing the point. | 那不是重点啊 |
[26:23] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[26:27] | And the point is? | 重点是? |
[26:28] | I defuse a human bomb. | 我搞定了一个人肉炸弹 |
[26:31] | Does anyone say, “Oh, are you okay, Brad?” | 有人问吗 “哦 你还好吧 Brad?” |
[26:34] | “Nice job saving lives, Brad.” | “救了大家 你真棒 Brad” |
[26:35] | No, it’s “Tara circumvented privilege because she’s sleeping with Alan.” | 没有 只有”Tara骗来了保密信息 因为她和Alan搞在一起” |
[26:44] | I’m the only one talking about Tara and privilege. | 这件事只有我在说 |
[26:49] | Is this about me? | 这是不是和我有关? |
[26:53] | We’re buddies, Brad. | 我们是好哥们 Brad |
[26:55] | Talk to me. | 告诉我吧 |
[26:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[27:04] | I’d like to be more than buddies. | 我想比哥们更进一步 |
[27:09] | I don’t bring it up because… | 我一直没提 是因为… |
[27:11] | I sense it’s something that you’re not interested in pursuing. | 我觉得你好像对这种事不太感兴趣 |
[27:17] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[27:20] | Is it something you’d like to pursue? | 你愿意吗? |
[27:25] | Um, | 呃 |
[27:27] | no. | 不愿意 |
[27:30] | Right. | 好 |
[27:41] | Anyway, | 无论如何 |
[27:43] | you handled the meeting well. | 这件事你处理得很好 |
[27:54] | You surprised me, Denny. I thought you’d be with me on this. | 你让我惊讶了 Denny 我以为你会站在我这边的 |
[27:57] | There’s a deeper principle involved here, Alan. | 这里还有更深层的原则 Alan |
[27:59] | Which is? | 是什么? |
[28:01] | Fishing. | 钓鱼 |
[28:03] | There’s a fishing lodge in British Columbia. It’s called Nemo Bay. | 不列颠哥伦比亚有个钓鱼港 叫Nemo湾 |
[28:07] | Best fishing lodge in the world. | 世界上最好的钓鱼港 |
[28:09] | In the great bear rain forest. | 在大熊雨林里 |
[28:12] | How does this lodge affect… | 这和案子有什么… |
[28:14] | Want to buy it. | 我想买下它 |
[28:16] | Costs lots of money. | 要很多钱 |
[28:18] | If I lose this client, I might not be able to buy it. | 如果我丢了这个客户 就没法买了 |
[28:21] | – You have plenty of money. – Yes, to buy other things. | – 你有不少钱了 – 是 要买其他东西 |
[28:24] | This case, this client is earmarked for this fishing lodge. | 这个案子赚的钱是专门用来买它的 |
[28:29] | Well, if I can’t convince you, | 如果我没法说服你 |
[28:32] | I guess I can’t convince you. | 我想我不行 |
[28:33] | Alan, I’ll ask Dr. Gerard the questions this afternoon. | Alan 今天下午 我来问Gerard医生问题 |
[28:38] | I’ve prepared the direct. | 我已经准备了提问 |
[28:40] | I’ll ask her the questions. | 我来问 |
[28:41] | I’m questioning the doctor. | 我要问她 |
[28:42] | – No, you aren’t. – Yes, I am. | – 不 不行 – 我要问 |
[28:43] | – No, you aren’t. – Yes, I am. | – 你不能问 – 我要 |
[28:44] | – No. – Yes. | – 不行 – 我要 |
[28:45] | – No. – Yes. | – 不行 – 我要 |
[28:46] | This time, I will cast a vote. | 这回 我来投票 |
[28:49] | Let me make this simple for you, Mr. Shore. | 让我把这件事变简单点 Shore先生 |
[28:52] | Please, call me Alan. I feel we’ve grown close. | 拜托 叫我Alan吧 我以为我们关系变好了 |
[28:56] | You will be present in court at the table | 你也要上庭 |
[28:59] | because your sudden absence would send | 因为你要是突然消失 |
[29:01] | a strange message to the jury that might compromise our case, | 会让陪审团觉得这件案子有异样 |
[29:06] | but Denny will ask the questions. | 但由Denny来问问题 |
[29:09] | If you attempt to ask the witness anything at all, | 如果你试图问证人任何问题 |
[29:12] | you will be fired. | 你就被解雇了 |
[29:17] | There’s a legal term for this. | 这好像有个法律术语 |
[29:19] | Ah, yes. Ooh. | 啊 是啊 哦 |
[29:23] | This is not puffery on my part, Mr. Shore. | 我没吹牛 Shore先生 |
[29:26] | I have spoken with other senior partners. | 我和其他高级合伙人谈过了 |
[29:28] | We are in agreement. The votes are in. | 这是大家达成一致的投票结果 |
[29:30] | If you attempt to undermine our case in any way, | 如果你以任何方式破坏我们的案子 |
[29:34] | your employment will be terminated. | 我们就终止合同 |
[29:37] | In that event, I will go to cable. | 如果那样 我会闹到电视上的 |
[29:48] | Denny, you and I should go open our own firm. | Denny 我们应该自己开家事务所 |
[29:50] | I’ll ask the questions, Alan. | 我来问问题 Alan |
[29:57] | I’ll leave you with this one last thought, then. | 那我最后给你留句忠告 |
[30:01] | Denny Crane. | 你是Denny Crane |
[30:31] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[30:33] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[30:36] | The lawyer from Mcnamara, | Mcnamara的那个律师 |
[30:38] | the guy Tara duped, he’ll be in here at 2:00. | Tara骗了的那个 他两点过来 |
[30:41] | I’ve summoned Tara as well. | 我把Tara也叫来了 |
[30:43] | I’ll try to iron things out a little. | 我想平息这件事 |
[30:46] | That’s good. | 好的 |
[30:50] | If you could make it, then… | 如果你能来… |
[30:51] | Fine. 2:00 P.M. | 好的 下午两点 |
[30:56] | Would you mind looking at me for a second? | 你能不能看我一下? |
[31:02] | You and I have a big murder trial scheduled for next week. | 咱们下周还有一个大的谋杀案要开庭 |
[31:07] | Are we gonna be okay? | 我们之间没问题吧? |
[31:10] | We’re fine. | 我们很好啊 |
[31:13] | Do you plan to speak to me in marine talk forever? | 你是不是打算一直用这种军队口气跟我说话? |
[31:16] | No, sir. | 不 长官 |
[31:18] | Sir. | 长官 |
[31:21] | You’re a great guy. You’re a smart guy, an attractive guy. | 你很好 很聪明 很有魅力 |
[31:24] | – Any girl… – Meeting’s at 2:00. | – 任何一个女孩子… – 两点开会 |
[31:27] | Right. | 对 |
[31:31] | 2:00. | 两点 |
[31:46] | Do you even know what to ask? | 你到底知不知道要问什么? |
[31:48] | Did she examine the plaintiff? | 她有没有检查过原告? |
[31:50] | Did she feel the plaintiff complied with the study protocol? | 她认为原告有没有遵守实验规则? |
[31:53] | She’ll answer yes or no. | 她会回答是或不是 |
[31:54] | We’ll get into a bunch of rhetoric about the need for safeguards, | 我们再用一大堆花里胡哨的词来说安全保障不可缺少 |
[31:57] | and then we’ll go have a cheesesteak. | 然后我们就可以去吃芝士牛排 |
[31:58] | – And you can live with yourself? – Denny Crane. | – 你良心能接受? – 我是Denny Crane |
[32:04] | Arms out, please. | 请抬起双手 |
[32:14] | Oh, this isn’t mine. | 哦 这不是我的 |
[32:16] | Why would I be carrying around an ice pick? | 我拿个冰锥干什么? |
[32:18] | Please empty out all your pockets, sir. | 请你把口袋掏干净 先生 |
[32:21] | Alan! | 喂 Alan! |
[32:23] | You’ll need to open your briefcase, sir. | 请打开你的公事包 先生 |
[32:25] | Do you know who I am? | 你知道我是谁吗? |
[32:26] | You’ll need to open your case. | 你必须打开公事包 |
[32:39] | – Alan! – Can you step this way, sir? | – 喂 Alan! – 你能站过来吗 先生? |
[32:41] | What, are you gonna check my shoes for bombs? | 怎么 你还要看我的鞋里有没有炸弹吗? |
[32:43] | Sir, it’s a federal offense to joke about | 先生 在安检点开玩笑说携带爆炸性危险品 |
[32:44] | possessing explosives at a security checkpoint. | 是违反联邦法律的犯罪 |
[32:46] | I’ve gotta get upstairs. | 我要上楼 |
[32:48] | Take off your shoes, sir. | 脱下鞋子 先生 |
[32:55] | Where’s Denny? | Denny呢? |
[32:57] | He got held up. Not to worry. | 他被拦在那儿了 别担心 |
[32:59] | Mr. Shore, are we ready to proceed? | Shore先生 我们可以开始了吗? |
[33:02] | We are, Your Honor. | 可以了 法官大人 |
[33:03] | The defense calls Dr. Amanda Gerard. | 辩方传唤Amanda Gerard医生出庭 |
[33:08] | We’re at the part where you swear under oath. | 我们现在开始宣誓 |
[33:15] | Okay, let’s evacuate in an orderly fashion, please. | 好 请大家有序撤离 |
[33:28] | It is against the law to pull fire alarms, sir. | 拉火警警报是犯法的 先生 |
[33:30] | My hand slipped. | 我手滑了 |
[33:32] | Tell Judge Wallace in Division Three, I need to see him in his chambers now. | 告诉第三庭的Wallace法官 我现在要单独见他 |
[33:36] | What kind of nonsense is this? | 你们在乱搞什么? |
[33:38] | You put an ice pick in his pocket, | 你在他口袋里放了一把冰锥 |
[33:40] | and a picture of Saddam Hussein? | 还有一张萨达姆的照片? |
[33:42] | You pull a fire alarm? | 你拉了火警警报? |
[33:44] | We’re at odds as to how to proceed with a witness. | 我们在谁提问证人的问题上有分歧 |
[33:46] | Yes, I heard that. | 是啊 我听说了 |
[33:48] | You’re supposed to be adults, for god’s sake. | 看在上帝份上 你们该有个大人样 |
[33:50] | You’re lawyers. And on the same side at that! | 你们是律师 还是同一方的 |
[33:53] | Your Honor, there are unusual circumstances in play. | 法官大人 这的确是不寻常的状况 |
[33:55] | I’m interested in truth and justice, my colleague favors a fishing lodge. | 我想追寻真相与公正 而我同事却只想要钓鱼港 |
[33:59] | Look, I don’t give a damn what your differences are. | 听着 我才不管你们有什么问题 |
[34:02] | First off, your firm is fined $50,000. | 首先 你们事务所罚款50,000美元 |
[34:05] | – What? – Second, whatever either of you do in that courtroom, | – 什么? – 第二 不管你俩想在法庭上做什么 |
[34:08] | you both get held responsible. | 你们两个要一起负责 |
[34:09] | You understand me? | 明白了吗? |
[34:11] | Third, Mr. Crane, since you’re the named partner, and it is your client, | 第三 Crane先生 鉴于你是命名合伙人 这又是你的客户 |
[34:15] | I’ll let you have the floor. | 我让你问问题 |
[34:17] | Your honor, I have prepared… | 法官大人 我准备了… |
[34:18] | You will keep your mouth shut, Mr. Shore. | 你不能发言 Shore先生 |
[34:22] | Now, let’s get back inside. | 现在 我们进去 |
[34:39] | Please have a seat, Tara. | 请坐 Tara |
[34:42] | Tara? | 你叫Tara? |
[34:47] | All right, what’s, what’s going on? | 好吧 发生了 发生了什么事情? |
[34:49] | We have a situation, Mr. Barr. | 有点小问题 Barr先生 |
[34:52] | Tara is an attorney who works for this firm. | Tara是这间事务所的律师 |
[34:54] | Thinking she worked for the airlines, | 因为你以为她是个空姐 |
[34:55] | you gave her information about an efficiency | 就告诉了她有关你的当事人 |
[34:57] | factor employed by your client. | “efficiency”的信息 |
[34:59] | This would be considered privileged information. | 而这是保密信息 |
[35:01] | I never revealed who my client was. | 我从没说过我的当事人是谁 |
[35:03] | We already knew who the client was. | 我们已经知道是谁了 |
[35:07] | Oh, my god, oh, my god. | 哦 老天 老天 |
[35:09] | Both you and Ms. Wilson, that’s her real last name, Wilson. | 你和Wilson小姐 她的真姓 Wilson |
[35:13] | Both you and she have committed serious violations. | 你们俩都严重违反职业道德 |
[35:15] | You would likely lose your job and get a suspension. | 你很可能丢掉工作 被吊销律师资格证 |
[35:18] | You would get worse. | 你可能更惨 |
[35:19] | It would be in the best interest of all if this situation didn’t become public. | 所以这件事不被公布出去 对大家都好 |
[35:24] | My problem, as Tara correctly points out, | 我的问题是 正如Tara说的 |
[35:27] | is having the information. | 我已经得到了这条信息 |
[35:29] | I have an obligation to at least tell my clients, | 我有义务把它告诉我的当事人 |
[35:31] | who undoubtedly would elect to use it. | 而他也必然会用到这条信息 |
[35:33] | But I also have an obligation to safeguard privilege, | 但我也有监督履行保密原则的义务 |
[35:36] | even when it’s on the other side. So, as I said, we’ve got a situation. | 即使是对方的保密原则 所以 就像我说的 现在有点麻烦了 |
[35:41] | Where we last left off in settlement discussions, | 我们上次的调解会议最后 |
[35:43] | our number was 3.2 million, yours was 2.1. | 我们的数字是三百二十万 而你们的是两百一十万 |
[35:47] | The deal probably makes somewhere in the middle. | 我们最好就在中间选一个数字 |
[35:49] | My proposal to you, Mr. Barr, is we settle it at 3. | 我的建议是 Barr先生 我们就三百万吧 |
[35:52] | I don’t think I could ever sell it. | 我想我不能说服其他人 |
[35:53] | You sell it by telling your client and colleagues | 你就告诉你的当事人和同事 |
[35:56] | that the opposing side knows about the efficiency factor. | 对方律师知道了efficiency原则的事情 |
[35:59] | We’ve broken the code. How we found out, we won’t reveal. | 我们已经违反了原则 所以不会透露怎么知道的 |
[36:02] | That protects you and protects Tara. | 这样就能保护你和Tara |
[36:04] | And you profit from her deception. | 但你还是从她的欺诈中得到了利益 |
[36:06] | We profit somewhat from her deception, | 我们的确是得益了 |
[36:08] | combined with your stupidity. | 但也要归功于你的愚蠢 |
[36:10] | But if we really wanted to exploit this, we’d go to trial and tell a jury, | 但我们要是真想拿这个说事 就会去开庭 告诉陪审团 |
[36:13] | which, technically, I should advise my clients to do. | 原则上 我应该建议我的当事人这么做 |
[36:17] | Yes, our side profits some. | 是的 我们这边是得了些好处 |
[36:18] | Your side gets off with a pretty mild number, given the smoking gun. | 但在我们已经掌握了确凿证据的情况下 你们还拿到了一个可接受的数字 |
[36:22] | And you two get off with your careers. | 而你们俩还能继续工作 |
[36:26] | Now, if you have a better proposal, | 现在 如果你有更好的建议 |
[36:30] | I’m listening. | 说来听听 |
[36:41] | It wasn’t just my determination, | 这不只是我的决定 |
[36:43] | but the consensus of all the treating doctors. | 也是所有医生同意的结果 |
[36:46] | Mrs. Hewitt was smoking. | Hewitt夫人当时没戒烟 |
[36:48] | And others were excluded, too, right? | 还有其他被剔除的56个人 对吗? |
[36:49] | Yes, 56 others. | 对 还有56个 |
[36:52] | It is common to weed out subjects as you go along | 为了保证实验结果的准确性 |
[36:55] | in order to protect the integrity of the study. | 剔除一些实验对象是很正常的 |
[36:57] | And this was all about the integrity of the study? | 这仅仅是为了实验结果的准确性? |
[37:00] | Yes. | 对 |
[37:01] | I believe you. You strike me as an honest woman. | 我相信你 你看起来是个诚实的人 |
[37:06] | Do you believe in god, doctor? | 你相信上帝吗 医生? |
[37:09] | I do. | 相信 |
[37:11] | “God is my witness” is what is says in the oath. | 宣誓中说 “上帝是我的见证者” |
[37:13] | I like to think god watches over me, too. | 我相信 上帝也一直在上面看着我 |
[37:17] | Except, of course, in the privacy of my bedroom committing lewd acts. | 当然 除了我在卧室里行房事的时候 |
[37:20] | Mr. Crane! | Crane先生! |
[37:22] | Uh, you’re a scientist, right, doctor? | 呃 你是个科学家 对吗 医生? |
[37:24] | You believe in facts, the truth? | 你相信事实 相信真相吗? |
[37:27] | – Yes. – Good, | – 是的 – 好 |
[37:28] | will you tell the court | 你能不能告诉我们 |
[37:29] | exactly why Marybeth Hewitt was removed from the trial of SV-113? | Marybeth Hewitt到底为什么从SV-113的实验中被剔除? |
[37:39] | I just did. | 我刚说过了 |
[37:40] | You said smoking. | 你说因为抽烟 |
[37:42] | The plaintiff obviously believes that to be a pretext. | 显然 原告主张那是个借口 |
[37:44] | I’m asking you to declare it one more time | 我要你在上帝 法官 |
[37:46] | before god, the judge, Mr. Shore, me… | Shore先生和我面前 再说一次… |
[37:51] | the truth. | 真相 |
[37:54] | Why was she taken off the study? | 她到底为什么被剔除? |
[38:04] | She was taken off… | 因为… |
[38:09] | a different study. | 另一项实验 |
[38:16] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[38:19] | Mrs. Hewitt unknowingly was part of a secret test | Hewitt女士参加了一项有关一个未经批准的药物的 |
[38:24] | involving a drug unapproved for study. | 秘密实验 而她自己并不知情 |
[38:27] | When it was discovered that this drug caused liver failure, | 当我们发现这种药物会造成肝功能衰竭时 |
[38:30] | she and the 56 others on it | 她和其他56个人 |
[38:34] | were taken off. | 被剔除了 |
[38:37] | Uh, Your Honor, this is obviously an unexpected development. | 啊 法官大人 这真是个意想不到的进展 |
[38:41] | I need some time to confer with my client. | 我需要时间和我的当事人协商 |
[38:56] | I thought she’d stick to the story. | 我以为她会继续说假话 |
[38:57] | I threw her the biggest softball I could, right down the middle of the plate. | 我往她怀里扔了一个最好接的球 |
[39:00] | All she had to do was reemphasize it was smoking. | 她只要再度强调是因为吸烟就行了 |
[39:05] | What happens now? | 现在怎么办? |
[39:06] | What happens now? | 现在怎么办? |
[39:07] | The peat moss hits the fan, you lying bastard. We’re dead. | 现在真出麻烦了 撒谎的混蛋 我们死定了 |
[39:14] | Did you elicit that testimony intentionally? | 你是不是故意引出这段证词? |
[39:17] | What? Of course not. | 什么? 当然不是 |
[39:19] | You know me, Paul. | 你知道我的 Paul |
[39:21] | I’m not what I once was. | 我已经不是曾经的我了 |
[39:36] | Doctor. | 医生 |
[39:39] | Please don’t say you’re proud of me. | 请别说你以我为傲 |
[39:40] | They’re gonna bring criminal charges against you. | 他们会以刑事犯罪起诉你 |
[39:42] | How about if I say I’ll defend you? | 我给你当辩护律师 如何? |
[39:44] | Really, and what’s my defense? | 真的 我以什么辩护? |
[39:46] | You were misguided by the best and the worst of intentions. | 你只是因为最好也是最坏的动机而误入歧途 |
[39:52] | This will all be over within a year. | 一年之内就能解决 |
[39:55] | A year is too long. My liver is failing. | 一年太长了 我的肝脏已经衰竭了 |
[40:00] | I was the first subject. | 我是第一个实验者 |
[40:02] | I began the trial ahead of the others. | 我比其他人更早开始实验 |
[40:04] | That’s how we discovered the side effects. | 副作用是在我身上发现的 |
[40:08] | A year’s too long for me. | 一年对我来说太长了 |
[40:09] | But thanks for the offer. | 但谢谢你愿意帮忙 |
[40:35] | # It’s a holly, jolly Christmas. # | # 愉快欢乐的圣诞又来到 # |
[40:39] | # It’s the best, # | # 每年此时 # |
[40:41] | # It’s the best… # | # 每年此时… # |
[40:42] | It’s the, oh, screw it. | 每年此时 哦 去他的 |
[40:46] | Hmm. | 嗯 |
[40:48] | # It’s a holly… # | # 愉快… # |
[40:51] | Nice performance today, Denny. | 今天表演得不错 Denny |
[40:53] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你说什么 |
[40:55] | You could have ever so slightly tipped me off. | 你应该稍微给我点提示 |
[40:59] | It would have saved a lot of aggravation. | 我就省好多事了 |
[41:01] | Oh, please. | 哦 拜托 |
[41:02] | If I had included you with so much as a wink, you’d be canned. | 如果我给你使眼色 你就该被解雇了 |
[41:08] | We lost the client. | 我们丢了个客户 |
[41:10] | Well, | 唉 |
[41:13] | there are lesser fishing lodges. | 钓鱼港越来越少了 |
[41:18] | No repercussions from Lewiston? | Lewiston那边没说什么吧? |
[41:22] | I’m Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[41:26] | As far as he knows, | 他只知道 |
[41:27] | I played it straight. | 我没耍花样 |
[41:32] | You know, they can never tell whether I know what I’m doing or not. | 他们没法肯定 我知不知道自己在做什么 |
[41:36] | Yes. | 没错 |
[41:38] | Can you tell? | 你知道吗? |
[41:41] | Not really. | 不大清楚 |
[41:44] | Every once in a while, just to keep them guessing, | 时不时让他们猜一猜 |
[41:49] | I stick a cigar in my ear. | 我夹了只烟在我耳朵上 |
[41:55] | Do I look silly? | 看起来傻吗? |
[41:58] | Try it. | 你也试试 |
[42:13] | We look good together. | 我们看起来很配 |
[42:16] | Yes, we do. | 那肯定的 |