时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | 波士顿法律 | |
[00:09] | Roberta’s mad at me. Sweetheart, can you feel it? | Roberta在生我的气 甜心 感觉到了吗? |
[00:11] | I’m not mad. | 我没生气 |
[00:13] | I just wonder, with only two days left, | 我是想知道 只剩两天了 |
[00:14] | this is the most optimal use of your time, | 这是对时间的最佳利用 |
[00:16] | especially since we’re missing vital one-on-one interface | 尤其自从我们错失了在Faneuil Hall(注:人气购物地)与中间选民 |
[00:18] | – with the swing voters at the Faneuil hall event… – Roberta | – 至关重要的直面接触以来… – Roberta |
[00:21] | Roberta, plenty of time for all that. | Roberta 时间足够了 |
[00:23] | We’ll just be here 20 minutes. | 我们在这儿就待20分钟 |
[00:26] | Then we’ll need to get you straight down | 然后我们得直接把你 |
[00:28] | to the harbor for the EPA announcement, | 带到港口 参加环保署的公告发布 |
[00:30] | which will have crews from every local station. | 当地各家电视台都会到场 |
[00:32] | Cable news? | 有线新闻台呢? |
[00:32] | Probably make tomorrow’s “Globe” above the fold. | 没准明天就会在”环球报”的显要位置刊登 |
[00:34] | So 20 minutes, right? | 只待20分钟的 是吧? |
[00:36] | Yes. 20 minutes. | 是 就20分钟 |
[00:43] | You know, that’s another thing. Who the hell is Alan Shore? | 还有件事 Alan Shore到底是谁啊? |
[00:47] | – Hello, Samantha. – Alan. | – 你好啊 Samantha – Alan |
[00:52] | 这是Samantha Fleming 这位是Tara Wilson | |
[00:54] | – Hello. – Pleasure. | – 你好 – 很荣幸哦 |
[00:56] | Do you get any sleep at all? | 你休息过吗? |
[00:58] | Yes, about three hours a night. | 呵 每天睡两三个小时 |
[01:00] | 20 minutes. | 就20分钟 |
[01:02] | Jack, don’t you think I should be part of the meeting? | Jack 你不觉得我也应该参加这次会议吗? |
[01:05] | No, Samantha and I will take this one alone. | 不用了 Samantha和我参加就好 |
[01:07] | Oh. | 哦 |
[01:11] | The accusations were shocking. | 诸多指控令人震惊 |
[01:13] | Money laundering, | 洗钱 |
[01:14] | tax evasion, | 逃税 |
[01:16] | obstruction of justice… | 妨碍司法公正… |
[01:18] | the verdict, guilty on all counts. | 最终裁断 各项罪名均成立 |
[01:22] | And now, believe it or not, | 现在 信不信由你 |
[01:23] | Jack Fleming wants to be our next mayor. | Jack Fleming意欲成为 我们的下一任市长 |
[01:26] | Ask yourself, would you rather have a candidate with convictions, | 问问自己 你是否愿意接受一位已被定罪 |
[01:29] | or a candidate who’s been convicted? | 或者曾被定罪过的候选人呢? |
[01:32] | Paid for by the committee to re-elect mayor Thomas Snyder. | Thomas Snyder重选市长的资金由竞选委员会提供 |
[01:35] | In your defense, | 你在为自己辩护时 |
[01:36] | I suppose black and white makes us | 我觉得这黑白画面让咱们看起来 |
[01:37] | all look a bit like Moe Howard. | 有那么点像莫・霍华德(喜剧演员) |
[01:39] | Well, it gets me ticked off every time I see the damn thing. | 呃 每回看到这摊烂事 我气就不打一处来 |
[01:42] | And there’s not a word of truth in it. | 没一句是真话 |
[01:45] | But apparently, that doesn’t matter. | 不过很显然 这无关紧要 |
[01:48] | You know what? I’ve got three Harvard law professors | 知道吗? 我已召集到三位哈佛法学教授 |
[01:51] | and a former U.S. attorney, | 和一位前联邦检察官 |
[01:53] | on my campaign steering committee, | 加入我的竞选指导委员会 |
[01:54] | all saying that there is no way | 他们都说我没法 |
[01:55] | that I can get that ad yanked off the air, so… | 撤下那则广告 所以嘛… |
[01:59] | I doubt if you’ve got a silver bullet here, Al, no offense. | 我怀疑你们会有何高招 呃 无意冒犯 |
[02:04] | Alan. None taken. | Alan 没关系 |
[02:08] | The ad is completely false. | 那则广告与事实完全不符 |
[02:10] | Jack was never convicted of those charges. | Jack从未被定过那些罪 |
[02:12] | It was a third-generation family real estate trust. | 这是起涉及家族三代房地产信托的案子 |
[02:15] | He was a passive beneficiary, | 他只是被动的受益人 |
[02:17] | a victim of a trustee whose greed got the trust prosecuted, | 受托人的贪婪致使信托遭起诉 他也受此牵连 |
[02:21] | not Jack personally. | 这并非Jack本人的错 |
[02:23] | I know you can help us. | 我知道你能帮助我们的 |
[02:26] | You should feel flattered, Alan. | 你应该感到荣幸的 Alan |
[02:28] | My wife seems to hold you in very high esteem. | 看来我妻子对你很尊敬啊 |
[02:32] | And I her. | 我也一样 |
[02:33] | As you know, in college, | 如你所知 上大学时 |
[02:34] | not a day went by that I didn’t long to sleep with you. | 我无时无刻不盼着和你上床 |
[02:39] | I hope I’m not being inappropriate. | 希望没有太失礼 |
[02:42] | As a matter of fact, you are. | 你确实很失礼 |
[02:44] | Then my apologies. | 那我很抱歉 |
[02:45] | When you sopke of the truth a moment ago | 你刚才透露真相后 |
[02:47] | I guess I mistook that as a preference for full disclosure. | 我想我是将之误认为你对”全面透露”的偏好了 |
[02:52] | Uh, boys, we don’t have time for this. | 呃 两位 没时间斗嘴了 |
[02:54] | Alan, I know it’s gonna be tough to get an injunction on this thing… | Alan 我知道申请法院禁令很困难… |
[02:58] | You’ve read the First Amendment then. | 看来你读过宪法第一修正案了(言论与出版自由) |
[02:59] | Three days ago, we had a double-digit lead. | 三天前 我们还有两位数的领先优势 |
[03:02] | Then they put this thing on the air, | 后来他们散布谣言 |
[03:03] | and our overnight polls dropped six points in 72 hours. | 夜间舆论调查显示我们在72小时内跌落6个百分点 |
[03:07] | If we don’t move fast, we’re going to lose, | 如果我们不尽快回击 肯定会失掉竞选 |
[03:09] | all because of this late hit, | 就因为这致命一击 |
[03:11] | these lies. | 这些谎言 |
[03:15] | Please help us. | 请帮帮我们 |
[03:20] | Let me see if I understand this. | 看看我有没有说错 |
[03:23] | – In college, you longed to have sex with her. – Yes. | – 上大学时 你就渴望和她上床 – 嗯 |
[03:25] | You ached to feel her naked body pressed up against yours. | 你渴望和她翻云覆雨 |
[03:29] | Yes, well said. | 嗯 说的对啊 |
[03:30] | And yet, nothing between the two of you ever happened. | 然而 你们之间却什么也没发生过 |
[03:32] | We suffered from bad timing. | 造化弄人吧 |
[03:34] | You’re wondering if that’s our destiny, | 你在想这或许就是我们的命运吧 |
[03:36] | yours and mine 20 years of unrequited foreplay. | 你我二十年来肆意调情 却未能达成所愿 |
[03:39] | Is that what you want? | 这就是你想要的吗? |
[03:42] | Is that what you want? | 这就是你想要的吗? |
[03:44] | – Well, it just seems that our timing might also… – Mr. Shore… | – 呃 似乎我们之间也是造化… – Shore先生… |
[03:48] | I saw you in the conference room with Jack Fleming. | 我看到你和Jack Fleming在会议室 |
[03:51] | What were you two doing? | 你们干嘛呢? |
[03:53] | Tai chi, actually. | 打太极呢 |
[03:55] | I hope it is clear to you | 我希望你搞清楚了 |
[03:56] | that it would be an unacceptable conflict of interest | 代理Jack Fleming的 任何相关案件 |
[03:59] | for you to represent Jack Fleming in any matter. | 将造成令人难以接受的利益冲突 |
[04:02] | This firm is extremely close to mayor Snyder. | 这家公司和Snyder市长走得很近 |
[04:05] | Then this firm should take a shower, don’t you think? | 那它更该洗清了 不是吗? |
[04:08] | He is a callous, smug, and brutish man | 他是个冷血 粗暴 自命不凡的人 |
[04:10] | who hates the poor and abuses the powerless. | 憎恶穷人 恃强凌弱 |
[04:13] | You’re not following me. | 你没明白我的意思 |
[04:15] | We earn a great deal of money working for the city, | 我们能在这所城市 如鱼得水 |
[04:18] | due primarily to mayor Snyder’s goodwill. | 从根本上是因为 蒙受Snyder市长恩顾 |
[04:23] | One would think that was obvious. | 大家都会认清这一点 |
[04:25] | One would. | 会的啊 |
[04:33] | Well… | 嗯… |
[04:35] | Now I have to take the case. | 这下我不得不接这案子了 |
[04:40] | Now, I’m gonna ask you a series of… | 现在 我将问你一系列… |
[04:42] | Denny Crane. | 我叫Denny Crane |
[04:44] | Why did you just say that? | 为什么这么回答我啊? |
[04:46] | Well, isn’t that how you guys usually begin a mental status examination, | 呃 你们医生通常在进行精神状态检查前 |
[04:50] | by determining if the subject knows his own name? | 不是都会先确认对方是否知道自己的名字吗? |
[04:52] | Well, yes. | 呃 没错 |
[04:53] | Denny Crane. | 我叫Denny Crane |
[04:55] | Got it. | 知道了 |
[04:57] | And who am I, Mr. Crane? | 那我是谁呢 Crane先生? |
[04:59] | You are Dr. Thomas H. Lee, neurologist. | 你是Thomas H. Lee医生 神经专科医师 |
[05:03] | Good. | 很好 |
[05:04] | – Can you tell me what day of the week this is? – Monday, | – 能告诉我今天周几吗? – 周一 |
[05:06] | and a particularly crisp and beautiful one, too, I might add. | 明快美好的一天 补充一句 |
[05:09] | Good. And who is the current president of the United states? | 很好 那么现任美国总统是谁呢? |
[05:13] | That would be Ernest Borgnine. | 本该是Ernest Borgnine的 |
[05:21] | I’ll bet you get lunatics in here every day | 我打赌在这儿你每天都会遇到疯子 |
[05:25] | that say that stuff for real, right? | 这么说来你是说真的了 对吗? |
[05:32] | The current president of the United states is George Walker Bush, | 现任美国总统是乔治・沃克・布什 |
[05:35] | son to George Herbert Walker Bush, | 乔治・赫伯特・沃克・布什的儿子 |
[05:37] | whose father was the late united states senator Prescott Bush, | 老布什的父亲是已故参议员 Prescott Bush |
[05:40] | who was an undergraduate at Yale, | 耶鲁大学学士 |
[05:42] | once wrestled my father in the nude, | 曾经裸摔过我父亲 |
[05:44] | but that’s a story for another day. | 不过这是另一个故事了 |
[05:45] | Let’s stick to the issues at hand. | 咱们回到眼下的正题吧 |
[05:48] | Denny Crane. | 我叫Denny Crane |
[06:01] | Flight risk? | 潜逃风险? |
[06:02] | Your honor, my client can barely walk. | 法官大人 我的当事人走路都困难 |
[06:04] | He weighs 300 pounds and suffers from acute rheumatoid arthritis. | 他体重三百磅 还患有急性风湿性关节炎 |
[06:08] | Plus, I think I got a touch of the gout, judge. | 还有 我想我还得了轻度痛风 法官 |
[06:10] | I ain’t going nowhere. | 我哪儿都去不了啊 |
[06:12] | He was moving at a pretty good clip when he left that jewelry store. | 他当初逃离那家珠宝店时 腿脚倒是很利索 |
[06:15] | It was a one-time adrenaline rush. | 不过是因为肾上腺素瞬间快速分泌 |
[06:17] | Your O.R. motion is denied, miss Colson. | 自我保释申请被否决 Colson小姐 |
[06:21] | Bail set at $50,000. | 保释金定为五万美元 |
[06:23] | We’ll take 15, folks. | 休庭十五分钟 各位 |
[06:29] | In this way. | 就这样 |
[06:36] | You got a minute? | 有时间吗? |
[06:38] | Sure. | 当然 |
[06:43] | I need a good lawyer. | 我需要一名优秀律师 |
[06:46] | You available? | 你可以吗? |
[06:48] | Flattered. What’s up? | 深感荣幸哦 怎么了? |
[06:50] | Well, Marcie and I split up. | 呃 我和Marcie闹翻了 |
[06:53] | Yeah, I was so sorry to hear that. | 呃 真让人遗憾啊 |
[06:56] | I can recommend somebody, Richard, but I don’t do matrimonial work. | 我可以给你推荐下其他人 Richard 不过我是不打婚姻官司的 |
[06:59] | No, no, I already found somebody for that part. | 不 不 我已经找到人帮我打了 |
[07:02] | There’s something else. | 还有别的事 |
[07:07] | Five years ago, when my son was born, | 五年前 我儿子出生时 |
[07:10] | we saved his umbilical cord blood. | 我们保留了他的脐带血 |
[07:12] | You mean in the delivery room? | 你是指在产房内吗? |
[07:13] | Right. We got it stored in one of those cryo labs, | 对 我们储存在一个液氮实验室里 |
[07:16] | just in case Zachary | 以防万一 Zachary将来患了癌症 |
[07:17] | ever needs to use it to treat a cancer he develops, | 可以用来帮助治疗 |
[07:20] | god forbid. | 但愿不会 |
[07:21] | Welcome to parenting in the new millennium. | 新世纪的养育模式 |
[07:25] | Anyway, the account, it was opened in Marcie’s name. | 总之 当初账户是用Marcie的名字开的 |
[07:28] | Which, at the time, I didn’t think twice about. | 当初 我也没细想 |
[07:31] | But now the lab is saying that makes her the responsible party, | 可现在那实验室说 只能由她负责 |
[07:34] | not the two of us jointly. | 而非我们共同负责 |
[07:37] | She’s refusing to release the cord blood. | 现在她拒绝交出脐带血 |
[07:39] | She won’t let it be used. | 她不让使用 |
[07:41] | Your son is sick? | 你儿子病了? |
[07:44] | I’m sick. | 是我病了 |
[07:46] | Multiple myeloma. | 多发性骨髓瘤 |
[07:48] | It was diagnosed six months ago. | 六个月前确诊的 |
[07:50] | Oh, Richard, I… | 噢 Richard 我… |
[07:51] | Chemo hasn’t worked so far, | 化疗根本不起作用 |
[07:53] | and they’re saying that I need a bone marrow transplant. | 他们说需要进行骨髓移植 |
[07:55] | But they can’t find a suitable donor. | 可他们找不到合适的供体 |
[07:58] | And your son’s cord blood would work instead? | 而你儿子的脐带血可以? |
[08:00] | They think so. | 他们是这样认为的 |
[08:02] | It’s just sitting there in a freezer. | 脐带血就放在冷藏库内 |
[08:03] | Just sitting. | 就放在那儿呢 |
[08:04] | Without it, they gave me six months. | 拿不到的话 我就只剩下六个月了 |
[08:07] | Maybe. | 或许 |
[08:10] | You think I got a lawsuit? | 你以为我起诉过? |
[08:13] | Let’s meet with her first, | 我们先和她见一面吧 |
[08:14] | hope we don’t have to file. | 希望不用诉讼解决 |
[08:16] | Good. Okay. | 嗯 那好 |
[08:18] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[08:27] | And then what happened, Mr. Shrum? | 然后发生什么了 Shrum先生? |
[08:29] | Well, when I couldn’t get the pop tart out of the toaster, | 呃 我没法从烤箱里拿出小圆饼 |
[08:32] | I unplugged it. | 于是就把插头拔了 |
[08:33] | And then I jammed a fork down the slot, | 然后我就拿叉子往狭缝里插 |
[08:35] | and I guess I must’ve jiggered it around pretty good, because the… | 我想 我折腾了一番 成果还不错 因为… |
[08:38] | Can you give us a moment, please? | 能稍等一下吗? |
[08:42] | Mark, what did I tell you about volunteering extraneous information? | Mark 记得我怎么跟你说的吗? 关于自动提供额外信息 |
[08:46] | – Not to. – Right. | – 闭口不提 – 对啊 |
[08:48] | This is a deposition. | 他们是在取证 |
[08:49] | You answer the questions truthfully, | 你如实回答问题 |
[08:51] | but never volunteer anything, | 不过别不问自答 |
[08:54] | so don’t add stuff like “jiggering forks around pretty good.” | 所以不必说什么”摆弄叉子 干得不错”之类的废话 |
[08:58] | Just answer every question with as few words as possible. | 回答问题时 少言为妙 |
[09:03] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[09:04] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[09:08] | All right, Mr. Shrum, | 好的 Shrum先生 |
[09:09] | when you repeatedly manipulated the fork around in the toaster slot | 当你不停摆弄叉子 往烤箱槽内插 |
[09:13] | and then received an electrical shock and second-degree burns, | 接着你遭到电击 造成二级烧伤 |
[09:17] | whose fault would you say that was? | 你认为这是谁的错? |
[09:22] | Mine? | 我的错? |
[09:26] | Uh, I can’t answer any shorter. That was one word. | 呃 我没法简化了 就剩一个字了 |
[09:34] | Denny… | Denny啊… |
[09:36] | We really do need to talk. | 我们真该好好谈谈了 |
[09:38] | The partners are concerned. | 合伙人现在很担心 |
[09:40] | – About what? – Well, your billables, | – 担心什么? – 呃 你的业务能力 |
[09:41] | do you realize that so far this year you have only billed 1400 hours, | 你不清楚你今年的计费工时迄今只有1400小时吗 |
[09:45] | which is 200 hours less than you had billed up to this point in calendar ’03, | 比你在03年的同期业绩 少了足足两百个小时 |
[09:50] | which was, as you know, a year that saw a marked decline. | 照这种态势 你知道的 整体会显著下滑 |
[09:53] | Breakfast? | 吃早饭吗? |
[09:55] | I already ate. | 我吃过了 |
[09:58] | In short, Denny, you are coming in light by about $700,000 a year, | 简而言之 Denny 你的年薪可在70万美元左右啊 |
[10:03] | which means that, since calendar ’99 alone, | 也就是说 单从99年算起 |
[10:06] | you have cost us $3.5 million. | 我们在你身上就耗了350万美元 |
[10:11] | You ever forget things? | 你忘性很大吧? |
[10:13] | Things like what? | 忘记什么? |
[10:15] | I don’t know, people’s names, where you put the car keys, | 我也不清楚 像人名 你把车钥匙放在哪儿 |
[10:17] | whether or not you showered, | 有没有洗过澡 |
[10:19] | what a case you’re arguing is all about. | 你正在争论什么案子 |
[10:23] | Not really. | 不是这样 |
[10:25] | Well, you should get it looked at, just the same. | 嗯 那你同样也该审视下 |
[10:28] | You could have what is called mild cognitive impairment. | 你可能患了轻度认知损害 |
[10:32] | It’s a precursor to Alzheimer’s. | 老年痴呆症的前兆啊 |
[10:33] | Denny, you are theoretically our foremost rainmaker, | Denny 理论上你是我们的及时雨 |
[10:37] | but you haven’t brought in a new seven-figure client in two years. | 可你已有两年没有接过七位数的案子了 |
[10:41] | You haven’t filed a class action in five years. | 五年没有参与共同诉讼的案子了 |
[10:43] | Care to guess how much Lisby, Derucie & Floren | 猜猜看 Lisby Derucie还有Floren |
[10:46] | billed as lead counsel in the tobacco class action? | 在烟草集团诉讼担任首席顾问律师 赚了多少吗? |
[10:52] | $127 million. | 一亿两千七百万 |
[10:56] | It’s raining cashout there, Denny. | 天上下现金呢 Denny |
[10:58] | We’re not getting wet. | 我们都还没被淋湿呢 |
[11:01] | You could do crossword puzzles. | 你可以玩玩字谜 |
[11:03] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[11:04] | It’s a great brain stimulator. So is learning new skills. | 深度刺激大脑 学习新技能也一样 |
[11:08] | You know what else helps? | 还有别的方法吗? |
[11:09] | Speaking from time to time in a foreign language. | 时不时地说说外语 |
[12:00] | What are you… | 你在… |
[12:02] | doing? | 干嘛? |
[12:03] | Researching a case citation. | 研究一起判例的引用 |
[12:08] | Have you ever used a computer before? | 你以前用过电脑吗? |
[12:12] | An entirely new experience. | 完全是新手 |
[12:20] | Bottom line, your honor, | 法官大人 我们的底线是 |
[12:22] | if Mr. Fleming feels aggrieved by the way he’s portrayed | 如果Fleming感到我当事人的竞选广告 |
[12:24] | in my client’s campaign commercials, | 如其所述 使其受到损害 |
[12:26] | then let him counter it with commercials of his own. | 那么他也可以以同样方式予以回击 |
[12:28] | As justice Brandeis said, | 正如布兰德斯大法官所说 |
[12:30] | “the best antidote to false speech is more speech.” | “针治错误言论的最佳良药是制造更多言论” |
[12:32] | It’s not surprising Brandeis would say that. | 布兰德斯会这么说并不奇怪 |
[12:34] | He was a well-known drunk and pedophile. | 他可是有名的醉鬼和恋童癖 |
[12:37] | No, he wasn’t. | 不 他不是 |
[12:40] | That’s right. He wasn’t. | 说的对 他不是 |
[12:41] | I made it up. | 我瞎编的 |
[12:43] | Does anyone have a problem with me making provably false accusations | 有没有人对我只为谋取我方利益 |
[12:46] | about honorable people, just so my side can win? | 便蓄意污蔑可敬之人持异议? |
[12:49] | Because that’s certainly their strategy. | 因为这当然是他们的策略 |
[12:51] | He’s amazing. | 他真了不起 |
[12:53] | Yes, we’re quite fond of him. | 是的 我们都很喜欢他 |
[12:54] | Mr. Shore is asking that you impose prior restraint on speech | Shore先生要求你们对自身言论加以”事前限制” |
[12:57] | and not just any speech, but the robust dialogue of a political contest. | 并非指任何言论 而是针对政治博弈中的强力对话 |
[13:00] | We don’t do that in this country. | 在这个国家我们不会这么做的 |
[13:01] | If they took a song from the Beatles catalogue | 如果他们从披头士的歌中摘录一首 |
[13:04] | and used it in a campaign commercial without permission, | 在未经授权的情况下 将之用以竞选广告 |
[13:06] | would you order the commercial off the air? Of course you would. | 你会叫停这样的广告吗? 你当然会 |
[13:08] | It’s an absurd analogy, your honor. | 这是个荒谬的类比 法官大人 |
[13:10] | What if they ran a campaign commercial | 如果他们在竞选广告中 |
[13:12] | with footage of this lovely young woman right here showering, | 采用保健俱乐部更衣室里口红摄像头 |
[13:16] | footage secretly taken with a lipstick camera | 偷拍到这位年轻美丽女士的洗浴镜头 |
[13:18] | mounted in her health club locker room? | 又会怎样呢? |
[13:20] | – This is ridiculous. – The point is, | – 这太荒谬了 – 问题在于 |
[13:21] | in all of those cases, | 在上述所有案例中 |
[13:24] | we absolutely would see injunctive relief granted | 我们完全支持采取”禁令救济” |
[13:27] | because those are rights worth protecting. | 因为这些权利是值得我们维护的 |
[13:30] | And so is the right of Jack Fleming | 那么Jack Fleming也同样拥有 |
[13:32] | to have the truth told about his life. | 叙述自己生活真相的权利 |
[13:35] | But how do we determine the truth, your honor? | 可我们该怎样定性”真相”呢 法官大人? |
[13:37] | Would Mr. Shore have us establish a government department of veracity? | Shore先生要我们 设立一个”诚信部”这样的政府机构? |
[13:41] | Mr. Fleming already has a remedy available. | Fleming先生已经寻求到”救济” |
[13:44] | – It’s called the slander suit. – I’m curious. | – 可称之为诽谤诉讼 – 我很好奇 |
[13:45] | When one wins a slander suit, does the court award votes? | 诽谤诉讼胜诉了 法庭会奖励选票吗? |
[13:48] | Because that’s the issue here. | 因为这才是关键所在 |
[13:50] | They’re trying to cost him the election now | 他们试图让他在此次竞选中蒙受重创 |
[13:52] | even if they have to pay him a few dollars, years from now. | 就算会赔上那么点钱 那也是几年后的事了 |
[13:56] | Well, | 好吧 |
[13:57] | this has been fascinating, gentlemen, | 你们的辩论很耐人寻味 先生们 |
[14:00] | kinda like debate night at mensa. | 有点像门萨俱乐部的辩论之夜 |
[14:03] | Mr. Gelman, that TV spot you’re defending is emphatically vile. | Gelman先生 你为之辩护的电视广告极端恶劣 |
[14:08] | But, Mr. Shore, he’s right. | 可 Shore先生 他是正确的 |
[14:10] | Political speech is not subject to prior judicial review. | 政治言论无须”事先司法审查” |
[14:15] | And thank the lord, or that’s all I’d ever do. | 谢天谢地 否则我就有得忙了 |
[14:18] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[14:49] | Well, that was discouraging. | 呃 真令人沮丧 |
[14:51] | It was. | 确实 |
[14:53] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[14:55] | You tried. | 你尽力了 |
[14:56] | What now? | 现在怎么办? |
[14:58] | I’m gonna recommend we do a gang-bang | 我建议咱们跟他们大干一场 |
[14:59] | sit down with the four local anchormen. | 和本地电视台的四位主持人坐聊 |
[15:01] | And obviously, you by Jack’s side, | 当然 你会坐在Jack身边 |
[15:02] | doing the whole “stand by your man” thing. | 做”身旁的女人”应该做的事情 |
[15:04] | Very important when accusations go to character like this, | 当起诉转变为眼下的形势 这点很重要 |
[15:07] | we answer every question, dominate the airwaves. | 我们须回答每一个问题 把握媒体舆论主导权 |
[15:09] | The message? Our guy is a superior piece of manpower. | 传播什么信息呢? 咱们的人是有力人选 |
[15:13] | – Feedback? – Sounds good. | – 怎么样? – 听上去不错 |
[15:14] | – That copacetic on your end? – Mm, sure. | – 你很满意吧? – 嗯 当然 |
[15:18] | Copacetic on my end, too. | 我也好满意哦 |
[15:21] | Your end? | 你呢? |
[15:31] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[15:33] | Be right back with your coffee. | 您的咖啡马上就到 |
[15:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:38] | Well, we’re very grateful that you agreed to meet with us. | 嗯 很感谢你能同意和我们见面 |
[15:41] | Did I have a choice? You were pretty insistent on the phone. | 我有得选吗? 你在电话里那么一再坚持 |
[15:44] | Sorry, it’s just a situation of some urgency, | 对不起 只是情势紧急 |
[15:46] | and I know you’ve said you didn’t want to retain counsel, | 我知道你说过你不想保留法律顾问 |
[15:48] | – but I would respectfully suggest… – We’ve spent enough on lawyers. | – 可我还是郑重建议… – 我们已经在律师身上花费够了 |
[15:52] | We had a five-star divorce, didn’t we, Richard? | 我们的离婚可是”五星级”的 不是吗 Richard? |
[15:58] | Look, I have to pick up Zach from a play date, so… | 听着 我得去接Zach出去玩了 那… |
[16:00] | Well, what I came to say is simple, Marcie. | 呃 我要说的很简单 Marcie |
[16:05] | I’m sick, and I need your help. | 我生病了 现在需要你的帮助 |
[16:08] | I can’t let you use Zach’s cord blood. | 我不能让你使用Zach的脐带血 |
[16:10] | I told you that when you called. | 打电话时我就跟你说过了 |
[16:12] | What if he gets sick and needs it himself? | 要是他生病了也需要怎么办? |
[16:14] | We saved it for a reason. | 我们把它留下来也是这个原因 |
[16:16] | Marcie, I can certainly understand your feelings, but perhaps… | Marcie 我能体会你的感受 可是或许… |
[16:18] | Do you have children, miss Colson? | 你有孩子吗 Colson小姐? |
[16:22] | No. | 没有 |
[16:26] | You want to protect Zach, | 你想保护Zach |
[16:28] | and I understand that. | 我能够理解 |
[16:29] | But how about protecting him from losing his father? | 可是是否也该使他免于失去自己的父亲呢? |
[16:32] | He’s not gonna lose you. | 他不会失去你的 |
[16:33] | You’re strong. You’ll beat this. | 你很强壮 你能战胜病魔的 |
[16:35] | No, not without a compatible donor. | 不 除非有匹配的捐赠者 |
[16:38] | This isn’t some simple transfusion we’re talking about. | 我们讨论的不是简单的输血 |
[16:41] | They need an exact match, and they can’t find one. | 他们需要完全匹配的供体 可他们找不到 |
[16:45] | They’ve tried, Marcie. Don’t you get it? | 他们试过了 Marcie 你懂不懂啊? |
[16:47] | Well, they should keep trying. | 呃 他们应该继续尝试 |
[16:48] | But I’m running out of time! | 但是我快没有时间了! |
[16:52] | Please don’t yell at me. | 别冲着我嚷嚷 |
[16:55] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[17:00] | I was thinking on the way over here, | 来的路上我一直在想 |
[17:01] | uh, about the day Zach was born, | 想着Zach出生那天 |
[17:03] | and holding him and feeling as if I was part of some great continuum. | 我抱着他 感觉我似乎和他是一体的 |
[17:10] | Feeling as if… | 感觉就好像… |
[17:12] | it’s stupid, but… | 这种想法很愚蠢 可是… |
[17:14] | feeling as if I had thrown my DNA forward into the future, you know? | 感觉就好像我把自己的DNA掷向了将来 你知道吗? |
[17:19] | Like some biological javelin. | 像是投掷某种”生物标枪” |
[17:24] | He’s my flesh and blood, Marcie. | 他是我的骨肉 Marcie |
[17:26] | I would never do anything to put him at risk. | 我绝不会让他陷于危险 |
[17:30] | I’ve read all the literature. | 我已经阅读过所有医学文献 |
[17:31] | I mean, the chances of Zach ever needing to use this are about 1 in 2,700. | 我是指 Zach会用到的几率只有两千七百分之一 |
[17:39] | But I need it now… | 但是我现在需要… |
[17:42] | to live. | 靠它活 |
[17:47] | I am his flesh and blood, too, Marcie. | 我和他骨肉相连 Marcie |
[17:56] | Please, don’t ask me about this again. | 求你 别再说这件事了 |
[18:00] | Either of you. | 你俩都是 |
[18:11] | It’s okay. | 别难过 |
[18:29] | I understand you provided representation to Jack Fleming after all, | 我能理解你 最终还是代理了Jack Fleming的案子 |
[18:32] | contrary to my explicit instructions. | 违背我给出的明确指示 |
[18:36] | I did. | 是的 |
[18:37] | But please understand, | 但请你谅解 |
[18:39] | ordinarily, I place great value on all things explicit. | 通常我会对一切明确的事情看的很重 |
[18:46] | Is it your feeling that Denny Crane will protect you from me? | 你真以为Denny Crane会维护你 使你免受我的处罚吗? |
[18:49] | It is. | 是的 |
[18:51] | To the extent that he recalls who I am. | 某种程度上 他让我想起自己是谁 |
[18:55] | Well, perhaps it will jog his memory | 呃 或许下个月的高级合伙人会议 |
[18:58] | when I devote a large portion of next month’s senior partners’ meeting | 我重点讨论你现在的情况 |
[19:02] | to a discussion of your situation here. | 会唤醒他的记忆 |
[19:09] | Miss Wilson. | Wilson小姐 |
[19:12] | Was that man threatening you again? | 这男人又在威胁你吗? |
[19:14] | Yes. It seems to be his job description. | 是啊 这似乎是他的职责所在 |
[19:18] | CNN said the election was too close to call. | CNN报道说选举和法庭传唤日期靠的太近 |
[19:20] | Fleming is up two points, but it’s within the margin of error. | Fleming支持率上涨两个点 但这也在误差幅度内 |
[19:24] | I think that’s what I’ll call my autobiography. | 我想我会这样取名我的自传 |
[19:28] | “Within the margin of error.” | “误差幅度内” |
[19:31] | Will I be in it? | 里面会有我吗? |
[19:34] | It depends on who ghosts it. I’ll certainly lobby on your behalf. | 那要看谁来写了 我一定会替你争取的 |
[19:39] | Well… | 呃… |
[19:41] | I’ll expect a chapter… | 我想要一章的篇幅… |
[19:44] | minimum. | 最少的 |
[19:46] | Well, I would imagine you could earn a chapter quite easily… | 嗯 我会幻想下你是否能轻易换取一章的篇幅… |
[19:50] | I was wondering if you could help me with this product liability issue… | 你能帮我看下这里的产品责任问题… (production liability指生产商有必要为应当注意到的事故原因负责) |
[19:55] | Never mind. | 没关系 |
[19:57] | No, please, I’m all yours. | 别 别走啊 我是你的人啊 |
[20:01] | Hardly. | 不见得 |
[20:21] | Ever used a computer? | 用过电脑吗? |
[20:24] | Denny! | Denny啊! |
[20:26] | Um… Yes. Yes, I have. | 嗯… 是 是的 我用过的 |
[20:29] | Remarkable machine. | 这机器可真棒 |
[20:33] | Let me ask you a question. | 我来问你个问题吧 |
[20:35] | A manufacturer of toasters should anticipate | 一个烤箱生产商是否该预计到 |
[20:38] | that their written safety instructions will be ignored | 烤箱上标明的安全提示会被忽略 |
[20:41] | to the extent that they’re counter intuitive | 某种程度上 这些提示是反直观的 |
[20:42] | and should plan for that contingency, right? | 而他们也该顾及到偶发事件 对吗? |
[20:45] | In an ideal world. | 理想的世界是这样的 |
[21:00] | What are you doing here? | 你在这儿干什么? |
[21:02] | I was afraid you’d hang up if I tried calling you. | 我怕打电话的话 你会挂掉 |
[21:06] | Can we talk? | 我们能谈谈吗? |
[21:08] | I have nothing else to say. | 我没什么可说的 |
[21:10] | I think I know your secret. | 我想我是知道你的秘密的 |
[21:17] | It was only one time. | 只有那么一次 |
[21:21] | Richard and I just had a huge fight. | Richard和我大吵了一架 |
[21:25] | I went to spend the weekend at my sister’s, | 我去我妹妹那儿过周末 |
[21:26] | and there was a guy there, this houseguest of hers. | 当时有个男人在她家暂住 |
[21:30] | We were all drinking wine, | 我们都喝了酒 |
[21:32] | and suddenly he and I were alone. | 突然间只剩下我们俩个 |
[21:36] | And it just happened. | 接着一切就发生了 |
[21:39] | I agonized about whether or not to have the baby. | 我为是否该生下这个孩子很苦恼 |
[21:41] | And in retrospect, I can’t imagine not, you know? | 回想往事 我无法想象不要 你懂吗? |
[21:45] | But I promised myself that Richard would never, ever find out. | 但我对自己承诺过 永远不会让Richard知道这件事 |
[21:51] | You can’t tell him. | 你别告诉他 |
[21:53] | You should tell him. | 你应该告诉他 |
[21:55] | He deserves to know, especially now. | 他应该知道的 尤其是现在 |
[21:57] | No, now would be the worst time. | 不 现在告诉他是雪上加霜 |
[21:59] | Being Zach’s father, it’s what he lives for. | 他现在只为自己是Zach的父亲而活 |
[22:03] | If you don’t tell him, I will. | 如果你不告诉他 我会的 |
[22:05] | I’m his attorney. I have an obligation. | 我是他的律师 我有这个责任 |
[22:07] | Just tell him I won’t release the cord blood. | 你就告诉他我不会拿出脐带血 |
[22:09] | Tell him to keep trying to find a match. | 让他继续寻找匹配的供体吧 |
[22:11] | He needs to keep trying. | 他需要继续寻找 |
[22:13] | If Zachary’s blood could save him, of course, I would let him have it. | 如果Zachary的血液可以救他 我当然会让他拿去的 |
[22:17] | And it tears me apart that I can’t tell him that, but I can’t. | 我为不能告诉他内心备受挣扎 可我真的不能 |
[22:24] | How did you figure it out? | 你是怎么知道这一切的? |
[22:27] | Occupational hazard. | 职业危害 |
[22:29] | I watch people’s eyes. | 我很会观察人的眼睛 |
[22:32] | When Richard was telling you how he felt the day Zach was born… | 那天Richard对你说Zach出生时他的感受… |
[22:40] | Promise me you won’t tell him. | 答应我别告诉他 |
[22:43] | I have an obligation. | 我有这个义务 |
[23:19] | Samantha. | Samantha啊 |
[23:21] | You’re wet. | 你都湿透了 |
[23:22] | It’s raining. | 外面在下雨 |
[23:25] | He’s screwing her. | 他在和她做爱 |
[23:27] | That media consultant Roberta… | 那个媒体顾问Roberta… |
[23:30] | She left a detailed message on his cell phone. | 她发给他的短信说得很详细 |
[23:34] | Didn’t know I was borrowing it. | 她还不知道我正好借用他的手机 |
[23:38] | Come in and get dry. | 快进来 擦干了 |
[23:40] | Buy me a drink? | 请我喝一杯吗? |
[23:48] | Maybe if he had done it with somebody extraordinary. | 哪怕他跟的上点档次的女人上床 |
[23:52] | Roberta, she’s… | Roberta 她… |
[23:57] | She’s just so… | 她也太… |
[24:00] | Sufficient. | 能使人满足 |
[24:09] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[24:11] | It’s fine. This is my regular place. | 没事 这地方我常来 |
[24:14] | I bring crying women here all the time. | 我总是带哭泣的女人来这儿 |
[24:16] | Oh, really? | 哦 真的? |
[24:22] | Well… | 呃… |
[24:25] | I guess I’m that cliche? | 是不是有点陈词滥调了? |
[24:29] | The credulous political wife, | 一位容易受骗政客的夫人 |
[24:31] | cheated on, humiliated, | 丈夫背着她搞外遇 受尽羞辱 |
[24:34] | didn’t see it coming. | 却一直被蒙在骨里 |
[24:38] | I have to do that interview with him tomorrow. | 我明天还得和他一起接受采访 |
[24:42] | Stand by my man. | 力挺我的男人 |
[24:45] | He doesn’t know that I know. | 他还不知道我已经发现了 |
[24:47] | What do I do? | 我该怎么做? |
[24:50] | What do you want? | 你想要的是什么? |
[24:53] | I want out. | 我想离开 |
[24:58] | Guess I am out. | 我想我是离开了 |
[25:00] | Guess I’ve been out. | 或者说已经解脱了 |
[25:05] | I do want him to win the election. | 我真的很想他赢得这次选举 |
[25:08] | I do. He’d be a great mayor. | 真是的 他会是位伟大的市长 |
[25:11] | He really does care about people. | 他真的很会关心人 |
[25:13] | As long as they’re strangers to him. | 只要那些人对他来说是陌生人 |
[25:15] | You really don’t like him. | 你真的很不喜欢他 |
[25:19] | Is that why you made that joke in your conference room, when… | 所以在你们会议室时 你才会开那样的玩笑 你… |
[25:22] | When I said not a day in college went by | 我说 上大学时 我无时无刻不盼着 |
[25:25] | that I didn’t long to sleep with you? | 和你上床? |
[25:28] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[25:30] | It wasn’t a joke. | 那不是玩笑 |
[25:36] | I had a place all picked out back then, | 我那时地方都挑好了 |
[25:38] | a motel out on route 9, | 九号干线边上的汽车旅馆 |
[25:41] | the Aloha inn. | Aloha旅馆 |
[25:43] | I thought you might appreciate the tropical ambience. | 我以为你可能会喜欢热带风情 |
[25:48] | I’m imagining a lot of rattan and plastic orchids. | 我能想象到许多藤条 塑料兰花 |
[25:52] | There’s a neon sign out front that blinks | 旅馆前霓虹闪耀 |
[25:55] | “Aloha” in orange, | “Aloha”泛着橘黄色的光 |
[25:58] | then “inn” in pink, | “旅馆”泛着粉红的光 |
[26:01] | then the hula girl’s skirt in green, | 姑娘们穿着绿色草裙 |
[26:05] | over and over and over. | 四处招摇 |
[26:11] | It sounds lush. | 听来很美妙啊 |
[26:13] | And all night long, | 整个晚上 |
[26:15] | the rooms are flooded with the glow of that neon. | 房间里霓虹 光彩溢流 |
[26:21] | And I always wondered how you would look naked in all that… | 我总在想 这样的情景下 你赤身裸体的摸样… |
[26:27] | pink, green, and orange. | 粉光 绿光 橘黄色的光 |
[27:10] | – Hi. – Hi. | – 嗨 – 嗨 |
[27:11] | You okay? | 你还好吧? |
[27:17] | I’m gonna see if the candidate can squeeze me in for a moment. | 我去看看候选人能否挤出点时间给我 |
[27:26] | Moment of your time? | 有空吗? |
[27:28] | Are you joking? We’re about to start. | 你开玩笑呢? 我们快开始了 |
[27:29] | It’s a pressing matter. | 时间紧迫 |
[27:31] | Perhaps we could duck in there. | 或许我们可以去那边 |
[27:46] | You’ve got 30 seconds. | 给你30秒时间 |
[27:48] | Then I’d better jump right in. | 那我最好还是直说吧 |
[27:49] | Do you have a favorite movie about politics? | 你最喜欢看的政治片是哪部? |
[27:53] | Mine is “The candidate.” | “候选人” |
[27:55] | – Okay, we’re done here. – I still have 20 seconds left. | – 好了 就此结束吧 – 我还有20秒呢 |
[27:58] | I especially like that scene | 我特喜欢那一段戏 |
[28:00] | after Redford wins the election when he asks his top advisor, | Redford赢得选举后问他的最高顾问 |
[28:04] | “Marvin, what do we do now?” | “Marvin 现在该怎么办?” |
[28:09] | Goodbye, Mr. Shore. | 再见 Shore先生 |
[28:10] | You’re a married man, Jack, | 你是个有家室的男人 Jack |
[28:11] | having a furtive sexual relationship with your media consultant, | 却跟你的媒体顾问鬼混 |
[28:15] | which begs the question, | 别回避问题了 |
[28:18] | “Marvin, what do we do now?” | “Marvin 现在该怎么办?” |
[28:21] | Of course, your name isn’t Marvin, | 当然 你不叫Marvin |
[28:24] | and Redford had already won. | 而Redford也已经赢取了选举 |
[28:26] | You, on the other hand, could still lose | 另一方面 你也可能输的 |
[28:29] | if anything unpleasant were to come up. | 如果某些令人不快的事情泄露的话 |
[28:44] | And does she know? | 那她知道了? |
[28:45] | Use her name. | 你说谁啊 |
[28:48] | Does Samantha know? | Samantha知道了? |
[28:50] | Samantha knows. | Samantha知道 |
[29:05] | This is a memorandum of agreement. | 这里是协议备忘录 |
[29:08] | By all means, read it when you have a free moment. | 抽空务必好好读一读 |
[29:10] | But I’ll need your signature right now, I’m afraid. | 但现在恐怕还得请你签下名 |
[29:13] | So, here are the headlines, | 那 这是标题 |
[29:14] | Samantha will do your little dog and pony showout there, | Samantha会陪你作秀 |
[29:17] | and all other events with you from now through the inauguration, | 出席所有其他活动直到你宣布就职 |
[29:20] | should you be lucky enough to have one. | 要是你足够幸运的话 |
[29:22] | She, of course, smiling at all times, exactly like Pat Nixon. | 当然 她也会始终面带微笑 就像派特.尼克松那样 |
[29:26] | And in return, after the divorce, | 而作为回报 离婚后 |
[29:28] | she gets a meaningful role in every high-level appointment | 她将直接介入你在第一个任期内 |
[29:32] | and major policy initiative during your first term. | 每个高层任命以及政策的制定 |
[29:36] | She put you here. She’s earned it. | 她成就了你 这是她应得的 |
[29:39] | I would never, ever give her that. | 我永远不会让她那样 |
[29:42] | Do you understand? | 你明白了? |
[29:44] | Perfectly. | 完全明白 |
[29:46] | So, then, we’ll handle this transaction in the only currency | 那么 我们眼下只剩下一条路 |
[29:50] | that’s really available to us. | 达成这笔”交易” |
[29:53] | Samantha gets the house in Nantucket, | Samantha拿到Nantucket的房子 |
[29:55] | 75% of all funds in the various bank accounts | 各项银行账户金额的75% |
[29:58] | as of close of business yesterday, | 结算到昨天为止 |
[30:01] | the mutual funds in their entirety, | 全部共同基金 |
[30:02] | and 60% of all other assets as determined by the forensic accountants | 还有其他所有由法律会计测定资产的60% |
[30:07] | that we will hire, and you will pay for. | 会计由我们雇用 钱由你掏 |
[30:15] | Oh. | 噢 |
[30:27] | Be sure to date it on the bottom there. | 务必在底下写上日期 |
[30:48] | You can’t lie to a client. | 你不能对客户撒谎 |
[30:50] | I know. I told her. | 我知道 我也跟她说了 |
[30:53] | It’s just, the news will crush him, Paul. | 只是这条消息会把他击垮的 Paul |
[30:55] | And to what end? What good will have been done? | 出于什么目的 什么样的善意呢? |
[30:57] | He will have been dealt with truthfully by his attorney. | 他的律师应诚实地对待他 |
[31:01] | – That’s the good. – I know all the law school arguments. | – 这就是好处 – 我知道所有法律学校都在争论这个 |
[31:04] | Let’s talk real world here. | 我们来谈谈现实问题 |
[31:06] | Okay. Real world? | 好吧 现实? |
[31:09] | If I learned that an attorney in this firm knowingly told a lie to a client, | 如果我获知这家公司 有哪位律师蓄意欺瞒顾客 |
[31:12] | a lie central to the matter the client had retained us to handle, | 而这也涉及顾客委托我们办理的业务 |
[31:16] | I would personally report it to the ethics committee of the state bar, | 我会亲自州律师公会的道德规范委员会举报 |
[31:23] | regardless of whatever respect or affection | 无论我多么尊敬或是钟爱 |
[31:27] | I might feel for the attorney in question. | 这位犯事的律师 |
[31:34] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 哦 对不起 |
[31:36] | I was just leaving. | 我正要走呢 |
[31:37] | – Hey. – Hi. | – 嘿 – 嗨 |
[31:41] | And thanks for seeing me on such short notice. | 谢谢你 我临时通知 你还能见我 |
[31:45] | I, I know I could have just faxed this over, | 我 我知道我本可以将这个传真过来 |
[31:47] | but I wanted to massage some of the language with you. | 不过我想和你一起推敲一下用词 |
[31:49] | Clearly, you’re gonna be a better judge | 显然 由你来评断这段论述 |
[31:51] | – on whether the arguments here are too inflammatory. – Richard. | – 是否过于煽情 比较合适 – Richard |
[31:53] | Which is the obvious pitfall of | 这份状告前妻的上诉状备案中 |
[31:54] | filing appellate papers against your ex-wife. | 存在哪些明显错误 |
[31:56] | Richard, listen. | Richard 听着 |
[31:57] | I’ll just shut up and let you read it. I’m sorry. | 好 我闭嘴 你好好读一下 对不起 |
[32:00] | Look, there’s something I need to tell you. | 听着 我有件事要告诉你 |
[32:05] | And I don’t know how to begin. | 可我不知如何开口 |
[32:38] | You said my client was here, Markhrum? | 你说的 我的客户在这儿 Markhrum? |
[32:41] | He was here. Mr. Crane came out to get him. | 他刚是在这儿 Crane把他带走了 |
[32:44] | Denny got him? | Denny带走的? |
[33:07] | I don’t understand how Marcie could do this. | 我不理解Marcie为什么这么做 |
[33:11] | She feels deeply ashamed. | 她感到十分羞愧 |
[33:13] | But the priority now has to be finding you a suitable donor. | 可现在最紧要的是 你寻找到合适的供体 |
[33:18] | But how could Marcie destroy the cord blood? | 可Marcie怎么能毁掉脐带血呢? |
[33:21] | It wasn’t intentional. | 她不是有意的 |
[33:24] | She was having it transferred last week from one lab to another. | 她上周想把它从一家实验室转到另一家 |
[33:28] | I guess she wanted to hide it from you. | 我想她是想把它藏起来 |
[33:30] | There was a shipping glitch. | 运送时却出了差错 |
[33:33] | It went 36 hours without being refrigerated. | 脐带血36小时未经冰冻 |
[33:40] | She was devastated. | 她也很受打击 |
[33:46] | I talked to Denny Crane. He’s a trustee of Boston General. | 我和Denny Crane谈过了 他是波士顿将军的受托人 |
[33:48] | He’s having their chief of oncology call you tomorrow. | 他会让他们的肿瘤医师 明天给你来电话 |
[33:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[33:54] | That’s very kind. | 那太好了 |
[33:55] | They’ll find you a match. I know they will. | 他们会为你找到匹配的供体 一定会的 |
[33:57] | You’re gonna get through this. | 你会挺过去的 |
[33:59] | Let’s hope. | 但愿吧 |
[34:08] | Editors of Times called it obnoxious. | 时报的编辑们认为这令人很反感 |
[34:11] | This refusal of mayer Snyder to agree to debate his challenger. | Snyder市长拒绝与其竞选对手辩论 |
[34:14] | Of course, there was one joint campaign appearance, | 当然 两位候选人也曾联袂登场 |
[34:16] | the two candidates sharing the same stage | 站在同一个讲台上 |
[34:18] | at one point several weeks ago | 几个月前的某次机会 |
[34:20] | when the Snyder camp called a debate… | Snyder阵营要求辩论… |
[34:23] | Feels good, doesn’t it? | 感觉不错 是吧? |
[34:26] | What feels good? | 什么感觉不错? |
[34:28] | Having sex with the candidate. What if he wins? | 和候选人上床 要是他赢了会怎样呢? |
[34:31] | I bet the orgasms are even better if he wins. | 我打赌那肯定会使你的高潮来得更为猛烈 |
[34:35] | I’m jealous. | 真让人嫉妒啊 |
[34:38] | And we’re ready to make a call in the race for mayor of Boston. | 现在 我们将宣布波士顿市长的竞选结果 |
[34:40] | Okay, everybody, this is it! | 好了 各位 要揭晓了! |
[34:42] | Based on exit polling, | 基于票站调查 |
[34:43] | we are now projecting that mayor Thomas Snyder | 我们现在宣布 Thomas Snyder |
[34:47] | has lost his bid… | 竞选失利… |
[35:26] | Let’s go. | 我们走 |
[35:28] | He’ll want you downstairs in the ballroom | 他要你去楼下舞厅 |
[35:29] | basking in the adulation, part of the deal. | 享受一下奉承谄媚 这是交易的一部分 |
[35:32] | New deal. | 新交易啊 |
[35:33] | This is where I get off. | 我想就此离开 |
[35:38] | Coming? | 你也来吗? |
[35:39] | But one thing we do know tonight, | 但今晚我们可以获知的是 |
[35:41] | the Thomas Snyder era is coming to an end. | Thomas Snyder时代终结了 |
[35:44] | And Boston’s new mayor will be Jack Fleming. | 波士顿的新任市长是Jack Fleming |
[35:46] | Stan Forrester is standing by | Stan Forrester现在正在凯悦饭店 |
[35:49] | at the Fleming victory party at the Hyatt | Fleming的庆功会上 |
[35:51] | where a very happy crowd is | 欢乐的人群 |
[35:52] | waiting for the mayor-elect and his wife | 正等待着新当选的市长及其夫人 |
[35:55] | to make their way down to the ballroom. | 一同走下大厅 |
[35:57] | Can you hear me, Stan? | 你能听到吗 Stan? |
[36:26] | Denny, | Denny啊 |
[36:29] | I’m worried about you. | 我很为你担忧啊 |
[36:30] | You’re speaking French to the messengers, | 你对送信人说法语 |
[36:33] | you got crossword puzzles spread out all over the conference table, | 你在会议桌上铺满了字谜游戏 |
[36:37] | you walk into reception, | 你走向接待处 |
[36:39] | hijack one of Sally Heep’s clients, | 劫走Sally Heep的一位客户 |
[36:41] | actually have a meeting with him in your office. | 竟然还跟他在你的办公室私聊 |
[36:44] | Did you even know what his case was about? | 你知道他的案子是关于哪方面的吗? |
[36:54] | I took that test the other day, | 前些天我做过那个测试 |
[36:57] | the one where they ask you a bunch of questions | 测试中会问你一堆问题 |
[36:59] | to see if you’ve turned into an imbecile, | 来判断你有没有变成痴呆 |
[37:01] | and they do a scan of your brain. You know what they found out? | 同时他们会扫描你的大脑 知道他们发现什么吗? |
[37:03] | That I have a lot of blue and yellow and red stuff colliding up there. | 我看到很多绿色 黄色 红色的玩意搅和在一起 |
[37:07] | The damn MRI photo looks like a hurricane. | 那该死的核磁共振成像图看上去像是飓风 |
[37:10] | I don’t remember what was the good color | 我也不记得哪种颜色是好的 |
[37:12] | and what was the bad color, but the point is this. | 哪种颜色是坏的了 可关键是 |
[37:15] | They discovered that I remember some things | 他们发现我在记住一些事情的同时 |
[37:19] | and I forget others. | 却忘记了其他的事 |
[37:23] | And that’s the way it’s gonna be. | 事情就是这样的 |
[37:29] | You wanna know what that man’s case is all about? | 你想知道那人的案子具体什么情况? |
[37:32] | He stuck a fork in a toaster. | 他把一把叉子插入烤箱 |
[37:34] | It’s a little pissant lawsuit. | 这不过是起微不足道的诉讼 |
[37:37] | But I remember what you said the other day. | 可我记得你前些天说的 |
[37:41] | What was that? | 我说过什么? |
[37:43] | Seriously, Paul, | 说真的 Paul |
[37:44] | you have to have that test. | 你真得去做做那个测试了 |
[37:46] | You said that we weren’t filing enough class-action suits, | 你说我们没有送交足够的集体诉讼 |
[37:51] | that we were missing out on a gold shower. | 这样以来我们就会错过”黄金浴” |
[37:54] | I, I believe I said a money shower. | 我 我记着我说的是”漫天的钱” |
[37:57] | When I heard the fact pattern of the Sally Heep case, | 当我听说Sally Heep的案子 |
[38:01] | I was able to persuade Mr. Shrum | 我成功地说服Shrum先生 |
[38:02] | that there was a greater good to be achieved. | 这将会大有可图 |
[38:04] | And long story short, happily, | 我也乐意 长话短说 |
[38:06] | the toaster company was open to my argument. | 那家烤箱公司 也接受了我的论点 |
[38:09] | What argument? | 什么论点? |
[38:13] | That an attorney… | 一名律师… |
[38:15] | like Denny Crane with extensive class action experience | 像Denny Crane这样有着大量集体诉讼经验的律师 |
[38:21] | could easily turn Mr. Shrum’s case into a lucrative opportunity. | 可以轻而易举将Shrum的案子转变成赚钱的机会 |
[38:25] | On the other hand, | 另一方面 |
[38:26] | if they were to give Denny Crane their ongoing legal business, | 如果他们将正在处理的法律业务交给Denny Crane |
[38:31] | augmenting the fine work done by the in-house counsel, | 让内部咨询工作锦上添花 |
[38:34] | then Denny Crane would be unavailable | 那么Denny Crane就不会 |
[38:38] | to represent Mr. Shrum who, incidentally, | 代理Shrum先生的案子 顺便提一句 |
[38:41] | is going to receive $50,000 from the company as a goodwill gesture. | 他将从公司得到五万元的好处费 |
[38:45] | So don’t you worry too much, Paul, | 所以 不必过多担心 Paul |
[38:50] | about Denny Crane. | 担心Denny Crane |
[39:01] | And I also wanna say to my wife Samantha, | 我还想对我妻子Samantha说 |
[39:04] | who unfortunately could not be here tonight, | 很遗憾她今晚没能来 |
[39:06] | she’s a little under the weather. | 她身体有点不舒服 |
[39:07] | Samantha, I love you, | Samantha 我爱你 |
[39:11] | and I wish you could be right up here beside me right now. | 我多希望此时此刻你就在我身边 |
[39:16] | We love her, right? | 我们爱她 对吗? |
[39:19] | That’s right. Sure we do. | 对啊 当然啦 |
[39:23] | Okay. | 好的 |
[39:24] | Thank you all. God bless you, Boston. | 谢谢你们 上帝保佑你 波士顿 |
[39:36] | You did the right thing. | 你做的对 |
[39:39] | Yes, I did. | 嗯 是的 |
[39:42] | I lied to him. | 我对他说了谎 |
[39:46] | Lori, | Lori啊 |
[39:50] | you realize you have exposed this firm | 你意识到你会使公司 |
[39:51] | to a potentially enormous liability award | 遭受潜在的巨大责任 |
[39:55] | and imposed on me certain excruciating ethical obligations? | 强加于我某项折磨人的道德义务吗? |
[40:00] | You’ll do the right thing, too. | 你也会那么做的 |
[40:28] | # At last…. # | # 最终… # |
[40:33] | # My love has come along # | # 我的爱情来临了 # |
[40:39] | # My lonely days are over # | # 寂寞也将离我远去 # |
[40:46] | # And life is like a song # | # 生命像是一首歌 # |
[40:52] | # Ooh….# | # 喔… # |
[40:54] | # At last…. # | # 最终… # |
[40:58] | # The skies above are blue # | # 天空蔚蓝如初 # |
[41:05] | # My heart was wrapped in clover # | # 我醉心于美妙的生活 # |
[41:14] | We should have done this much sooner. | 我们应该做的更快 |
[41:25] | Let’s do it again. | 再做一次吧 |