时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Boston Legal | |
[00:03] | – Hi, I’m Brad Chase from D.C. – Hi. | – 你好 我是华盛顿的Brad Chase – 你好 |
[00:06] | I think that’s my seat. | 这是我的座 |
[00:07] | I’m sorry. We’re not territorial about that sort of thing around here,are we? | 抱歉 我们来这儿不是为了争这点事的吧? |
[00:10] | – I was handling it. – I just thought I’d help out. | – 我正在处理了 – 我只是觉得能帮上忙 |
[00:11] | That’s very nice, but again, I was handling it. | 很好 再次强调 我在处理了 |
[00:13] | So why does it bother you that I’m trying to help? | 我伸出援助之手 打扰到你了么? |
[00:15] | Wait a minute. | 等等 |
[00:16] | You two have had sex. | 你们两个上床了 |
[00:18] | We can’t tail the wife. | 我们不能跟踪他妻子 |
[00:19] | Ernie Dell is one of our biggest clients. | Ernie Dell 是我们事务所最大的客户之一 |
[00:21] | If he wants a private investigator, what’s the real harm? | 如果他要找私家侦探 也没有什么实质性的伤害啊? |
[00:24] | I’m the one sleeping with his wife. | 我就是跟他老婆上床的人 |
[00:25] | – I’m sorry? – Sure. | – 什么? – 是的 |
[00:27] | – He makes fun of me. – But I’m a big fan of your aqua velva commercials. | – 他经常取笑我 – 但我是你们Aqua Velva广告的忠实粉丝 |
[00:30] | No, it’s not right. He calls me a Ken doll, while he… | 不 不对 他叫我肯尼(芭比娃娃的玩伴) 但他… |
[00:32] | plays with your barbie? | 和你的芭比娃娃玩吗? |
[00:34] | Completely mindful of the fact that you helped build this place, | 毋庸置疑 你为打拼这片江山出了不少力 |
[00:37] | the partners here will not allow you to dismantle it with your buffoonery. | 合伙人是绝不会让你愚蠢可笑的行为把这事务所给毁了 |
[00:41] | They’re not going to take the firm from you. | 他们没想要从你手上抢走这事务所 |
[00:43] | I’m not worried, Lori. Do I look worried? | 我一点都不担心 Lori 我看起来像很忧虑吗? |
[00:45] | Look out there. | 看看外面 |
[00:47] | My domain. | 我的地盘 |
[00:48] | My city. | 我的城市 |
[00:50] | I’m Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[01:22] | You have 30 minutes. | 你们可以聊30分钟 |
[01:32] | I have to say, I find this very strange. | 不得不说 这很奇怪 |
[01:35] | I always thought I’d be the one visiting you in the mental hospital. | 我一直觉得 应该是我去精神病院看你 |
[01:41] | I’m excited about tomorrow. | 一想起明天我就很兴奋 |
[01:43] | Please tell me we have a shot. | 请告诉我 很有把握 |
[01:46] | I don’t know how much longer I can take it in here. | 我不知道 在这儿还能撑多久 |
[01:48] | We have a shot. | 我们很有把握 |
[01:51] | I’ll get you out. | 我一定会把你弄出去 |
[01:53] | I don’t need to hear it, Alan. I need it to happen. | 我不想光听你说 Alan 我要行动 |
[01:55] | The board will question you directly. | 委员会直接问你话 |
[01:58] | It’s entirely possible they’ll try to provoke you. | 他们会尽一切可能的惹你发怒 |
[02:01] | To make sure I’m bombproof? | 就为了证实我有承受力? |
[02:03] | – Sorry? – It’s an expression with horses. | – 什么? – 是用来形容马的 |
[02:06] | To be safe to ride, a horse needs to be bombproof. | 为了安全骑乘 马要有承受力 |
[02:08] | It doesn’t spook easily. | 它能让马没那么容易发怒 |
[02:10] | Can’t have one who just flies off. | 能保证它不会变成脱缰的野马 |
[02:13] | Yes, in addition to not flying off, | 是的 除了不让绳脱缰 |
[02:15] | you need to show contrition. | 你还要表现出忏悔 |
[02:17] | They like to see that you’re sorry. | 他们很喜欢看到 你已经后悔了 |
[02:21] | I am. | 事实上 我也是这样的 |
[02:25] | I, I am so sorry, | 我 我很抱歉 |
[02:28] | so deep, deeply ashamed. | 非常 非常的自责 |
[02:32] | How do I say it right? | 那要怎么表达出来才好? |
[02:34] | Just like that. | 就像现在这样 |
[02:38] | Christine, | Christine啊 |
[02:39] | you were in love with a man who was unworthy of you, | 你爱上了一个 不值得你为他付出的人 |
[02:42] | who made you doubt everything that you had a right to count on, | 他让你质疑你应得的一切 |
[02:46] | who perhaps even toyed with your sanity. | 甚至可能让你失去理智 |
[02:49] | Still no excuse for trying to kill him. | 可我还是没理由杀他 |
[02:53] | Perhaps he had it coming. | 或许是他自找的 |
[02:57] | Perhaps you did. | 或许你说对了 |
[03:48] | Why is it we agreed to bifurcate the trial? | 为什么我们要同意两阶段审判(指将审判分为两步骤进行) |
[03:50] | There’s been no claim for punitive damage, only compensatory, | 虽然没有请求惩罚性赔偿金 只有补偿性的 |
[03:52] | but our fear was a jury could be so outraged, | 但我们就害怕陪审团到时候太生气 |
[03:54] | they might artificially inflate compensatories as a de facto puni, | 他们会把补偿金变成为惩罚金那么多 |
[03:57] | so we opted to bifurcate. | 所以我们决定要两阶段审判 |
[03:58] | Separate juries, one for liability, one for damages. | 把侵权与赔偿问题分两个陪审团审理 |
[04:00] | The client concurred. | 委托人已经同意了 |
[04:03] | Do you do tongue push-ups? | 你的舌头经常做仰卧起坐么? |
[04:07] | This is a staff meeting. | 这是工作会议 |
[04:08] | I encourage all to conduct themselves professionally, | 我希望每个人都表现出专业的一面 |
[04:10] | keeping in mind that remarks are tantamount to assertive conduct. | 请记住 评价总是很武断的行为 |
[04:14] | Lansing vs. Mahoney… | Lansing诉Mahoney案… |
[04:17] | Hospital settled out, deposition of Dr. Mahoney is today, | 医院那边 今天将对Mahoney医生质证 |
[04:20] | we’re hoping to make some movement on that as well. | 我们希望这方面能有些进展 |
[04:21] | Lot of eyes are on us. | 很多人都关注着我们 |
[04:22] | We’ve got an HMO on the bubble here | 就我们所知 就有一个卫生保护组织 |
[04:24] | waiting to see how this lawsuit is restored. | 等着看这场官司怎么收场 |
[04:26] | I assume you’ve prepared for today’s deposition. | 我想你们已经准备好今天的质证了吧 |
[04:28] | Actually, Denny’s taking it. | 事实上 是Denny负责的 |
[04:32] | Denny’s taking the deposition? | 质证是Denny负责的? |
[04:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:39] | Wouldn’t it be better to save Denny for trial, | 派Denny上庭不是更好嘛 |
[04:42] | – roll out the big gun later? – roll out the big gun now, | – 迟一点再使出Denny这个杀手锏 – 现在用了 |
[04:46] | this won’t be a trial. | 就不用上庭了 |
[04:48] | Move along, Paul. | 下一个案子 Paul |
[04:53] | In re Christine Polley… | 关于Christine Polley… |
[04:56] | Mine. | 是我的 |
[04:58] | Ex-girlfriend tried to kill me. | 前女友想杀我 |
[04:59] | This is the commitment proceeding? | 这是个押交令程序?(法院让犯人送交监狱或精神病院的命令程序) |
[05:01] | She was committed. This hearing is to secure her release. | 她被关起来了 听证时就要放她出来 |
[05:04] | Wait a second. She tried to kill you. | 等等 她要杀你 |
[05:06] | – She did. – And now she wants out. | – 是的 – 可现在她想出来 |
[05:08] | – She does. – And you’re trying to help her get out. | – 没错 – 而你还要帮她出来 |
[05:10] | I am. | 是 |
[05:33] | You’re angry with me. | 你生我气了 |
[05:34] | I’m just busy, okay? | 我只是很忙 好不好? |
[05:43] | I’m not gonna even discuss the absurdity | 我先不和你争论 |
[05:45] | of representing an ex-lover who tried to kill you, | 为曾想杀你的前女友辩护有多荒谬 |
[05:48] | but how do you not at least tell me? | 但至少也先和我说一声吧? |
[05:50] | That isn’t something that I should know? | 这是我不该知道的吗? |
[05:54] | I wanted to surprise you with it. | 我想要给你一个惊喜 |
[05:56] | Do you think it’s funny? | 这很有意思吗? |
[05:58] | Do you think it’s appropriate for me to learn about it in a staff meeting? | 你觉得我在工作会议才上知道这事合适吗? |
[06:03] | Forgive me. As you can imagine, I haven’t kept up with… | 原谅我吧 你很了解我的 我一直都不擅长… |
[06:07] | the boyfriend/girlfriend regulations. | 男女朋友之间那些潜规则 |
[06:12] | What I can say is she’s a client, and a friend… | 我想说的是 她是我的一个当事人和朋友… |
[06:20] | that I’m trying to free from the clutches of an overreaching asylum. | 而我只是要尽力帮她脱离疯人院的魔掌 |
[06:25] | You keep calling it an asylum. | 你总说那是疯人院 |
[06:26] | This is a psychiatric hospital. | 这是精神病治疗医院 |
[06:29] | I mean no disrespect, doctor, but the word “hospital” implies treatment. | 我无意冒犯 医生 但 “医院” 这个词就意味着治疗 |
[06:32] | And she has gotten treatment. | 那她的确得到了治疗 |
[06:34] | – Is she less crazy? – Excuse me? | – 那她没那么疯了吗? – 什么? |
[06:36] | As a result of your treatment, is she less crazy? | 经过你的治疗 她没那么疯了吗? |
[06:40] | Crazy is not a medically recognized term, Mr. Shore. | 疯不是一个医学术语 Shore先生 |
[06:44] | As I’ve just explained, | 正如我刚刚解释的 |
[06:46] | Christine has what the DSM refers to as intermittent explosive disorder. | Christine 有被DSM认可的间歇爆发性行为紊乱症 |
[06:51] | Then please tell us is she less intermittently explosive? | 那就请你告诉我们 她有没有爆发得少了点? |
[06:55] | She has improved. | 她有改善 |
[06:57] | And to what do you attribute that? | 那你觉得是什么的功劳? |
[06:58] | – Primarily the pharmacological regimen. – Pills. | – 主要是药物治疗 – 药片 |
[07:00] | 25 milligrams each of three different anti-psychotics | 三种安定片 每种25毫克 |
[07:03] | administered three times daily. | 每天服用三次 |
[07:05] | Then maybe it’s a good thing she’s here. | 也许留她在这里会好一点 |
[07:06] | That sounds like a very complicated protocol to administer on one’s own. | 听起来 要病人自己吃这些药有点复杂 |
[07:10] | Indeed. | 确实 |
[07:11] | How do you know she actually takes these pills? | 你怎么保证她确实服药了? |
[07:14] | Obviously, we keep very careful records. | 当然 我们每天都很仔细地做记录了 |
[07:16] | I’m sure you do. | 我相信确实如此 |
[07:19] | But hypothetically, | 但是假设 |
[07:21] | suppose there was a patient who felt she didn’t belong here, | 有个病人觉得自己根本不该在这里 |
[07:24] | felt that she’d entered your hospital quite troubled, | 是因为惹了麻烦才住院的 |
[07:28] | but essentially sane, and was being driven insane by this institution. | 但原本精神完全正常 后来却要被这里逼疯 |
[07:33] | Maybe she’s a New York University graduate, | 或许 她一是个纽约大学的毕业生 |
[07:36] | a respected attorney, a charming, | 一个受人尊敬的律师 迷人的 |
[07:39] | intelligent, sensitive, funny woman. | 聪明过人 心思细腻 幽默的女人 |
[07:44] | A fully functional person with the exception of one incident. | 一个心智完全正常 仅有一次失误的女人 |
[07:47] | So each and every time your orderlies come around | 所以你们的护理员每一次 |
[07:51] | with your 75 milligrams of powerful anti-psychotics for her to swallow, | 让她吞下75毫克的强力安定药片 |
[07:56] | she hides the tablets under her tongue and saves them. | 但她都藏在舌头下 存了起来 |
[07:59] | Day after day, | 日复一日 |
[08:02] | a growing collection of thoroughly unnecessary medication | 存了越来越多 |
[08:07] | that her primary psychiatric caregiver | 那些主治医师想要她吞下 |
[08:10] | wants to shove down her throat. | 却根本无需服的药 |
[08:12] | Are you asking if this hypothetical scenario could happen? | 你是问有没有这种可能的发生么? |
[08:16] | I am. | 是的 |
[08:17] | It could not. | 不可能的 |
[08:18] | We keep very careful records. | 我们有很严谨的记录 |
[08:49] | Look, I don’t see why I need to be present. | 听着 我不明白为什么一定要在场 |
[08:51] | A part of her emotional distress claim goes | 她感情受到伤害的一部分主张是 |
[08:53] | to how you informed her of her husband’s death. | 来自你通知她丈夫死亡的方式 |
[08:55] | I’ve been a surgeon for 30 years. | 我已经做了30年的外科医生 |
[08:57] | If there’s a pleasant way to tell a family a patient died… | 如果有一个和缓的方式去通知家属这个死讯… |
[09:01] | we’re gonna need your response to her account. | 我们需要你对她的指控作出回应 |
[09:06] | We’re in conference room one. We’ll be right in. | 我们在一号会议室 这就过去 |
[09:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[09:09] | Don’t look at him. | 别看他 |
[09:14] | Why can’t I just review the transcript? I really don’t want to sit in that room. | 我为什么不能只看看那个证言笔录? 我真不想呆在那屋子里 |
[09:17] | We don’t need you to do or say anything. | 你什么也不需要做 |
[09:20] | We just need you to sit there and listen. | 坐着听着就好 |
[09:21] | Brad, one second, please. | Brad 麻烦过来一下 |
[09:24] | – Excuse me. – Yeah. | – 不好意思 – 没事 |
[09:28] | You can’t let him first-chair this deposition. | 你不能让他做这次质证的首席 |
[09:31] | – Paul, he’s insisting. – First of all, | – Paul 他坚持的 – 首先 |
[09:32] | the case could turn on this proceeding, | 案子成败取决于这次质证 |
[09:34] | and second, as I mentioned, | 再次 正如我说的 |
[09:36] | we have several medical corporations, potential clients, | 我们有几个医药公司 有潜力的客户 |
[09:39] | – taking a keen interest… – Hey. | – 能带来很可观的收益… – 嘿 |
[09:42] | Guys. | 伙计们 |
[09:43] | What are we talking about? | 在说什么呢? |
[09:45] | Looks interesting from afar. Anything I might enjoy? | 远远听起来很有意思 会是我感兴趣的事情么? |
[09:48] | What’s this case about, Denny? | 关于什么的案子 Denny? |
[09:51] | The deposition you’re about to conduct, what’s it about again? | 你负责质证的案子 再问下是讲什么的? |
[10:03] | A man died during angioplasty, leaving him dead, tragic. | 一个在血管重建手术中死了的男人 就这么死了 真悲剧 |
[10:10] | He even described the procedure as common, so for… | 他甚至只是很平常的向我描述了整个手术过程 |
[10:16] | one of your allegations goes to | 你的指控之一就是 |
[10:18] | how Dr. Mahoney informed you of the tragic outcome. | Mahoney医生告诉你这个悲剧结果的方式 |
[10:22] | He just came out and said my husband had a cardiac arrest and was dead. | 他只是走出手术室 然后说我丈夫心脏停止跳动 死了 |
[10:27] | He just turned and walked away. | 然后扭头就走 |
[10:28] | But he said he was going to talk to me later. | 但他说他会晚点再和我谈 |
[10:31] | Do you make room for the possibility | 你有没有觉得可能 |
[10:32] | that Dr. Mahoney himself was devastated at this time? | Mahoney医生自己在那个时候也很沮丧? |
[10:37] | The patient was my husband. | 病人是我的丈夫 |
[10:40] | Whatever pain he had… | 无论他承受着怎样的痛苦… |
[10:44] | these are difficult questions. | 这些问题很难回答 |
[10:49] | You’re, um… | 你 呃… |
[10:52] | 40 pounds lighter since before your husband’s death? | 你丈夫死后 你瘦了40磅? |
[10:57] | Yes. | 是的 |
[10:58] | – Dating again? – Objection. | – 再约会了吗? – 反对 |
[11:00] | This certainly has no relevance. | 问题与本案无关 |
[11:00] | All objections have been waived till the trial, | 开庭之前的所有反对都是无效的 |
[11:03] | except for the form of the question, sport. | 除了问问题的方式 你这人真幽默 |
[11:05] | – This your first deposition? – This is not my first deposition. | – 这是你第一次主持庭外取证么? – 不是 |
[11:07] | Well, then play by the rules. | 好吧 那就按规矩来 |
[11:09] | Don’t make me move for costs, | 别逼我增加这些费用 |
[11:12] | which she’ll end up paying. | 最后都是由她来支付的 |
[11:16] | In this last year, would you say | 过去这一年 可不可以这样说 |
[11:18] | you’ve had more or less sex since the time of your husband’s… | 自从你丈夫死了之后 你的性生活多多少少还是有点的 |
[11:22] | – Objection! – All right, this is a tough deposition for everybody. | – 反对! – 好吧 这对每个人来说都挺尴尬的 |
[11:26] | – Let’s just try to get through it. – Denny. | – 快点结束它吧 – Denny |
[11:35] | More or less sex this past year? | 多了还是少了? |
[11:40] | My physical relationship with my husband had waned, | 我和我丈夫已经很少性生活了 |
[11:44] | partly because of his heart condition. | 一部分是因为他的心脏问题 |
[11:47] | We remained very much in love. | 但我们仍深爱对方 |
[11:49] | And did you go on lots of trips together, you and your husband? | 那你们会经常一起出去旅游吗 你和你丈夫? |
[11:52] | Some. | 有时候吧 |
[11:53] | He was very busy with work. | 他工作很忙 |
[11:55] | Did he regularly tell you how incredibly… | 那他有经常跟你说你有多… |
[11:58] | incredibly beautiful you are? | 多么漂亮吗? |
[12:01] | Did you wear this perfume when your husband was alive? | 你丈夫生前 你一直用这种香水吗? |
[12:04] | – I believe I did. – That’s magnificent. | – 我想是的 – 那太好了 |
[12:06] | – All right. This deposition is over. – Why? | – 好了 就这样结束吧 – 为什么? |
[12:08] | It’s over. Come on, Carrie. | 已经完了 走吧 Carrie |
[12:09] | Off to court we go, Cub Scout. | 我们法庭见吧 童子军 |
[12:12] | Oh, we’ll be going into court, all right. | 喔 我们当然会上法庭 好吧 |
[12:14] | We’re done here. | 今天就到此结束 |
[12:32] | The fact that she was secretly refusing to take her medication | 她自己偷偷地拒吃药的事实 |
[12:35] | does not persuade us of progress. | 不能说服我们放她出去 |
[12:38] | But it does show she’s capable of going six months | 但这说明 她这六个月很正常 |
[12:40] | unmedicated without incident. | 虽然没有药物治疗也相安无事 |
[12:42] | Mr. Shore, you were her lover. | Shore先生 你曾经是他男朋友 |
[12:44] | Any bias I might have in favor of Christine | 任何我对Christine的偏袒 |
[12:47] | would be more than offset by the fact that she tried to kill me. | 能抵得过她曾经想要杀我的事实么 |
[12:50] | Frankly, we’re insulted by that. It might get you a spot on | 老实说 我们因这件事受到的侮辱 或许能让你上 |
[12:52] | “Good morning America,” but… | “美国早安” 但是… |
[12:54] | I’m trying to get her a spot of freedom. | 我只是在为她争取自由 |
[12:55] | Freedom is a privilege, Mr. Shore, not a right. | 自由权是一种特权 Shore先生 不是普通的权利 |
[12:58] | – A privilege? – Yes, and it’s revocable, | – 一种特权? – 是的 它是可以被撤销的 |
[13:00] | especially if you try to run someone over with an automobile. | 特别是你想开车碾过某人的时候 |
[13:03] | Christine polley is well. | Christine polly 很正常 |
[13:05] | You have an affidavit from three independent psychiatrists who evaluated her. | 你有三位分别曾评估过她的精神病科专家的宣誓证明 |
[13:10] | Likely made her sign waivers as soon as you paid them. | 在你给他们钱之后很可能就会让她签了自动弃权书 |
[13:13] | The only reason you’re holding her | 你扣留她的唯一原因是 |
[13:15] | is you’re afraid of being sued should she do something. | 就她本该告你的 |
[13:18] | We’re afraid she’ll hurt herself or someone else, you cynical snot. | 我们怕她出去后 会伤己伤人 你这玩世不恭的鼻涕虫 |
[13:22] | Is liability to the hospital a factor? Yes. | 医院有责任吗? 有 |
[13:24] | We can’t treat patients out of bankruptcy. | 医院破产就不能做治疗了 |
[13:27] | I hardly see how that makes me a snot. | 我不懂我怎么成了鼻涕虫了 |
[13:30] | She’s in here | 她之所以在这 |
[13:31] | because of one isolated incident she’s not likely to repeat. | 完全是因为一个她再也不会重蹈覆辙的错误 |
[13:35] | Oh, you can gaze into some crystal ball… | 喔 你可以望着水晶球说… |
[13:38] | I can gaze into her. | 我可以看着她 |
[13:40] | I saw the look in her eyes the day she was brought here. | 我看见她被关进医院时的神情 |
[13:42] | I saw the look in her eyes which led to her being brought here. | 因为这种神情被关进医院 |
[13:45] | She had that look then. | 从此她就一直这个表情 |
[13:47] | She does not have it now. | 可她现在没有 |
[13:53] | Who would be this woman’s guardian? | 谁是这女人的监护人? |
[13:55] | Why is no one here to present… | 为什么没人在这里代表… |
[13:56] | Her parents would serve as guardians. | 他父母是她监护人 |
[13:58] | – You’ll find their affidavits. – They live in Illinois. | – 你可以找到他们的书面陈述 – 他们住在伊利诺斯州 |
[14:00] | Where Christine would be going upon release. | Christine被释放后就住那儿 |
[14:03] | And until she gets to Illinois? | 还有在她去伊利诺斯州之前(谁是她监护人)? |
[14:04] | Until then, I will be her guardian. | 在之前 我都会是她监护人 |
[14:11] | Ms. Polley? | Polley女士? |
[14:14] | Well, at the risk of also sounding biased, | 呃 虽有偏袒的嫌疑 |
[14:17] | I agree with him. | 但我同意他做监护人 |
[14:19] | This is not a parole board. | 这不是假释局 |
[14:21] | This is not a prison. | 也不是监狱 |
[14:23] | As you say, Dr. Gill, this is a hospital, | 正如你所说 Gill医生 这是医院 |
[14:27] | and when patients are healed, | 病人痊愈了 |
[14:30] | they’re let out of hospitals. | 他们就不用住院了 |
[14:52] | Coffee not good? | 咖啡很难喝么? |
[14:53] | Oh, no, it’s, I was just thinking about something. | 喔 不 我只是在想点事情 |
[14:57] | Yeah, I do that. | 嗯 我看出来了 |
[15:00] | Thinking about what? | 在想什么啊? |
[15:05] | That’s kind of private. | 只是些私事 |
[15:10] | You know, I’d stake out a little distance from that Shore guy, Sally. | 我一直都有意无意地和Shore那家伙保持距离 Sally |
[15:13] | He tends to leave people’s minds a little worse off than he finds them. | 他总是会令那些女孩越陷越深 迷失自我 |
[15:16] | His old girlfriend, case in point. | 他前女友的事情就说明问题了 |
[15:18] | You two discussing cases? | 你俩在讨论案子么? |
[15:19] | I wasn’t aware you provided emotional counsel as well as legal, Lori. | 我不知道你除了法律事务之外还提供心理咨询 Lori |
[15:24] | That’s quite a perk. | 这服务真够特殊的 |
[15:25] | A woman tries to kill you, you go to represent her. | 如果有一个女人想要杀你 而你却为她代理 |
[15:27] | You don’t think there’s a pathology at play here? | 你不觉得这人有病吗? |
[15:32] | – I referred to yours. – I got the reference, thank you. | – 我说的是你俩 – 我知道你说的是我 谢谢 |
[15:35] | Speaking as an enormously unlikable person, | 作为一个很令人讨厌的人来说 |
[15:37] | I find it difficult to maintain grudges against all those who want to kill me, don’t you? | 我发现很难讨厌那些想要杀我的人的 你不是吗? |
[15:50] | Yes, you’ll perhaps find that witty comeback in your office. | 对了 过会儿你要回办公室慢慢地想怎么反驳我了 |
[16:08] | He’s got a motion for costs, for sanctions, | 他申请费用支付和制裁的申请被批了 |
[16:11] | he has ordered a transcript so he can read back to the judge what you said today. | 他要求证言笔录了 你今天说的话要回读给法官听了 |
[16:14] | Good. Then I won’t have to bother trying to remember. | 很好啊 那就不会要我再回想了 |
[16:17] | Damn it, Denny, you’re way out of the line. | 该死的 Denny 你问了不该问的问题 |
[16:18] | This woman has just lost a husband. | 这个女人刚死了老公 |
[16:20] | You’re asking her questions about her sex life, her perfume? | 你居然问她的性生活 用什么香水? |
[16:22] | – I know what I’m doing. – Which is? | – 我知道我自己在做什么 – 那在做什么? |
[16:25] | It’ll come to me. | 我有分寸 |
[16:26] | That lawyer is going to pick you apart in open court tomorrow. | 那个律师会让你在明天的庭审死得很惨 |
[16:29] | Let him try. Denny Crane. | 让他再试试 Denny Crane |
[16:31] | Listen to me. | 听我说 |
[16:32] | Do you know why I was brought here? | 知道我为什么突然就来到这事务所了? |
[16:35] | The firm thinks that you are becoming a liability. | 事务所越来越觉得你是个累赘 |
[16:40] | They wanted me to control you. | 他们想要我控制你 |
[16:43] | Who thinks I’m a liability? | 谁说我是累赘? |
[16:46] | It doesn’t matter. | 这问题不重要 |
[16:49] | Who? | 究竟是谁? |
[16:53] | Denny, | Denny啊 |
[16:54] | you were once something to aspire to. | 你曾经很受人尊敬 |
[16:58] | You’re now becoming something to parody. | 但你现在变得越来越离谱了 |
[17:00] | You walk around saying | 你边走边说 |
[17:02] | “Denny Crane, Denny Crane” like it’s supposed to | “Denny Crane Danny Crane” 虽然让人听起来觉得 |
[17:05] | intimidate or conjure up awe. | 很亲密或者是一个可以呼风唤雨的名字 |
[17:11] | You’re a complete joke. | 你真可笑 |
[17:14] | If that gets me fired, so be it. I’m saying it just the same. | 如果你要炒我鱿鱼 那就炒吧 但我还是会说一样的话 |
[17:19] | You know why? | 你知道为什么吗? |
[17:23] | Because I love you. | 因为我爱你 |
[17:25] | I adore you. | 我崇拜你 |
[17:30] | But it hurts to see you deteriorating into a… | 但我内心很痛苦的 尤其是你越来越差劲… |
[17:34] | Get the hell out of my office. | 滚出我的办公室 |
[17:51] | You didn’t have to get me a hotel room. | 你不用给我开这么好的房 |
[17:53] | I didn’t. You’re staying in my place. | 不是 你现在在我家 |
[17:55] | – I beg your pardon? – I won’t get fresh. | – 什么? – 我没有开玩笑 |
[17:57] | – You live in a hotel? – I do. | – 你住在酒店? – 是的 |
[18:00] | What happened to your big grotesque house | 你那又大又丑的别墅 |
[18:02] | with your more grotesque swimming pool | 更丑的游泳池 |
[18:03] | and your even more grotesque rumpus room? | 还有那还不能再丑的又吵杂的房间呢? |
[18:06] | I sold it. | 全卖了 |
[18:07] | I require a lot of fresh towels and nightly turndown service. | 我更需要很多干净毛巾和晚间服务 |
[18:10] | Why would you live in a ho… | 为什么你会住在酒… |
[18:13] | Oh, I, I see. | 哦 我 我明白了 |
[18:15] | The comfort of being able to check out on a whim. | 是那种说走就走的快感 |
[18:23] | You know, as much as you’ve explained it, | 虽然你一直在解释 |
[18:26] | you’ve never really explained it. | 但一直没说明白 |
[18:28] | I demand only one thing in a relationship, Christine, | 我恋爱是有底线的 Christine |
[18:37] | – Nice out, Alan. – I’m sorry? | – 漂亮的抽身 Alan – 什么? |
[18:39] | Even in conversation, | 即使是谈话 |
[18:41] | you always have a nice out. | 你总是全身而退 |
[18:47] | I did my best to control him. | 我尽全力控制他了 |
[18:51] | And the other attorney has brought a motion for sanctions? | 那个律师已经因为Denny不按程序取证而提出制裁的申请了? |
[18:54] | Which he wants to argue himself. | Denny他还想亲自上庭辩护 |
[18:56] | Oh, my god. | 哦 天啊 |
[18:57] | We count on you to help prevent these kinds of situations, Brad. | 我们以为你能阻止这种事发生的 Brad |
[19:01] | Paul, I’m a relatively junior partner. | Paul 我还不是一个那么资深的合伙人 |
[19:02] | What exactly do you expect me to do? | 你们究竟想要我做什么? |
[19:04] | – If that man gets up in open court… – Excuse me. | – 如果那男人在庭上疯起来的话… – 抱歉 |
[19:07] | The man can still handle himself in court. | 这男人不会在法庭上乱来的 |
[19:09] | Oh, please. The only possible good that could come from his… | 哦 拜托 唯一有可能从他那得到的好处… |
[19:17] | Is he adamant about arguing this himself? | 是他自己坚持上庭的吗? |
[19:22] | I’m afraid so. | 是的 |
[19:24] | Well… | 好吧… |
[19:26] | I guess we can’t say no. | 我想我们不能反对 |
[19:28] | His name is still first on the letterhead. | 因为他的名字还在事务所里排第一 |
[19:33] | Let him argue. | 就让他上庭吧 |
[20:08] | We’re up early. | 我们都起得很早啊 |
[20:11] | I’ve been up since 6:00, actually. | 实际 我6点就起床了 |
[20:13] | I’ve been waiting for you to get up so I could say goodbye. | 我一直在等你起床 然后和你道别 |
[20:18] | There’s a cab outside waiting. | 的士已经在外面等着了 |
[20:19] | I thought your flight’s at 11:00. | 我记得你是11点的飞机 |
[20:21] | I’m going to the airport early. | 我打算早点去机场 |
[20:22] | Ridge upped the security to level mauve. | 已经升到紫色安全警报了 |
[20:26] | – Let me drive you. – No. | – 我送你去吧 – 不用了 |
[20:28] | I ,I’d prefer to… | 我 我更想… |
[20:32] | Thank you for getting me out, | 谢谢你把我弄出来 |
[20:36] | for forgiving me. | 也原谅我了 |
[20:39] | Well… | 好吧… |
[20:40] | That’s it. Creep. | 就这些了 真矫情 |
[20:47] | Better go. | 真的要走了 |
[20:50] | Call me when you land. | 到了就跟我说一声 |
[20:54] | I just think I should argue it. | 我只是觉得应该由我来上庭 |
[20:56] | Why, so you can control me? Nobody controls me. | 为什么 好让你能控制我么? 没有人可以控制我的 |
[20:59] | Denny, you’re the subject of the hearing. | Denny 你是这次听证的主角 |
[21:01] | I’m certainly going to have more objectivity than… | 我确实能更客观的… |
[21:02] | I’ll argue the motion. | 都说了由我来 |
[21:04] | When Denny crane gets attacked, he stands up for himself. | 当Denny受到攻击 他就会站起来 |
[21:07] | I don’t need you or anybody else controlling or protecting me. | 我不需要你或是其他人去控制或者保护我 |
[21:11] | – You’re not going to court in this state. – Brad, | – 你不能出庭这次陈述 – Brad |
[21:12] | you can join me or not. | 你可以选择是否一起去 |
[21:15] | Your choice. | 随便你 |
[21:20] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? |
[21:22] | He still plans to argue it himself. | 他还是坚持由他自己来出庭 |
[21:24] | – And the partner said let him. – I know, but I thought… | – 那合伙人也说了由他啊 – 我知道 但我觉得… |
[21:26] | you know why they’re saying let him? | 你知道为什么他们会让他来? |
[21:30] | A public debacle on record is just | 众所周知的一次败仗只是 |
[21:32] | what they need to convince the full partnership in January to broom him. | 他们说服合伙人在一月赶走他 |
[21:36] | – What? – Yeah, they want him to self-destruct, Brad. | – 什么? – 是的 他们想他自己走人 Brad |
[21:39] | They obviously think losing a few clients is worth losing him. | 他们显然是觉得失去一小部分客户来换取他辞职是值得的 |
[21:44] | You cannot let him argue this motion. | 所以你不能让他辩护这个申请 |
[21:54] | You’re her guardian, and she slept in your hotel room last night. | 你是她监护人 而她昨晚就在你的酒店房间睡 |
[21:58] | You see, you get upset when I don’t tell you these things, | 你看 我不告诉你这些事情你就会难过 |
[22:01] | but then when I do, | 但我告诉了你呢 |
[22:04] | She’s gone to Chicago. | 她已经去芝加哥了 |
[22:05] | – It’s… – It’s not about her. | – 这… – 问题不在她 |
[22:07] | Excellent. Then… | 很好啊 那… |
[22:09] | It, it’s us. | 是我们 |
[22:10] | – Is there an us? – Sally, I know this seems difficult. | – 还有我们吗? – Sally 我知道对于你来说很难 |
[22:13] | You know what? You know what’ll be fun? | 你知道吗? 你知道什么才是有意思的东西吗? |
[22:16] | Can we go shopping for shoes or a new dress? | 我们不如去买一些鞋和新衣服好吗? |
[22:20] | Something revealing for the office party. | 在正式舞会上穿的 |
[22:24] | Soft, but… | 很舒服 但又… |
[22:26] | – tight. – Alan. | – 很合身的 – Alan |
[22:31] | – What are you doing here? – My flight was canceled. | – 你在这干什么? – 航班取消了 |
[22:33] | I thought you might feel like an early lunch. | 我猜你也差不多要吃午饭了 |
[22:38] | Christine Polley, Sally Heep. | 她是Christine Polley 她是Sally Heep |
[22:42] | – Hi. It’s nice to meet you. – Hi. | – 你好 很高兴见到你 – 你好 |
[22:45] | Your flight was canceled. | 你航班取消了 |
[22:46] | I’m rescheduled at 4:30. | 我重订了4点半的 |
[22:48] | This is why I’ve refused to fly for the past two years. | 这就是我过去两年不坐飞机的原因 |
[22:51] | That, and I’ve been locked up. | 当然 我被关起来了也是另外一个原因 |
[22:53] | – So can I steal you for lunch? – Actually, no. | – 那 我能拽你去吃顿午饭吗? – 事实上 不能 |
[22:55] | – We were just about to go on… – It’s okay, really. | – 我们这正要去… – 没关系 真的 |
[22:58] | Very nice to meet you. | 很开心见到你 |
[23:02] | Maybe I shouldn’t have come. | 也许我不应该来 |
[23:08] | Truth is… | 但事实是… |
[23:10] | you weren’t my firstchoice for lunch. | 你不是我想吃午餐的第一人选 |
[23:12] | I called a few friends. Everybody seems to need a little distance. | 我叫了一些朋友 每个人似乎都要和我保持一点距离 |
[23:16] | It was all like, “oh, Christine, how nice to hear from you,” and… | 全部是 “喔 Christine 很开心知道你的消息” 还有… |
[23:19] | You’re smart enough to expect that. | 你那么聪明应该一早就能猜到的 |
[23:23] | Never got it from you. | 但你就不是这个反应 |
[23:27] | – Are you and Sally… – We’re seeing each other. | – 你是和Sally… – 我们在谈恋爱 |
[23:29] | Oh. | 哦 |
[23:32] | – She seemed nice. – She is. | – 她看起来很不错 – 她是的 |
[23:34] | – Certainly attractive. – There’s that. | – 很有魅力 – 事实如此 |
[23:38] | Well… | 好吧 |
[23:40] | it’ll be easier when I get to Chicago, | 如果我去芝加哥会容易一点 |
[23:42] | easier to start over there, I think. | 最好在那儿重新开始 我觉得 |
[23:45] | I agree. | 我赞成 |
[23:47] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[23:49] | So… | 那… |
[23:51] | lunch? | 午餐呢? |
[23:53] | On your next visit. | 下次见面再一起吃吧 |
[24:05] | Well… | 那好吧… |
[24:07] | Goodbye, then, again. | 那 再一次说 再见 |
[24:10] | Um… | 嗯… |
[24:12] | Goodbye, Christine. | 再见 Christine |
[24:26] | Denny, listen to me. | Denny 听我说 |
[24:27] | Some of the partners are coming down to watch the motion, | 一些合伙人会来看这场申请 |
[24:29] | and not in support, Denny. They’re hoping you crash in there. | 不是来支持你 Denny 他们是想看你笑话的 |
[24:30] | They’re hoping to be able to get some leverage | 他们想抓你小辫子 |
[24:32] | to be able to say at the partnership meeting, | 然后在合伙人会议上说你什么 |
[24:33] | “it’s time to take Denny Crane out of the game.” | “是时候让Denny Crane退出游戏了” |
[24:36] | What game? | 什么游戏? |
[24:38] | I don’t know whether he was trying to humiliate her or hit on her. | 我不知道他想羞辱她还是攻击她 |
[24:42] | It wasn’t clear. | 我不清楚 |
[24:43] | What was clear was the indecency of it. | 清楚的是他的话是猥亵 |
[24:46] | This is what lawyering has degenerated to. | 整个律师业都堕落在这个地方 |
[24:49] | Carrie Lansing lost her husband, | Carrie Lansing正处于丧夫的悲恸 |
[24:51] | he’s probing her about her sex life. | 他却不停地试探她的性生活 |
[24:53] | It was a blatant abuse of our process. | 这是公开凌辱我们的司法程序 |
[24:55] | It was an embarrassment to the integrity of our profession. | 羞辱我们职业的正直性 |
[24:59] | This attorney should be sanctioned severely, your honor. | 这位律师应该受到严厉的处分 法官大人 |
[25:02] | A message has to be sent to the bar | 并且通告律师协会 |
[25:04] | that our bar is raised higher than an episode of reality television. | 我们律师协会比任何真人秀都重视道德修养 |
[25:08] | Denny Crane demeaned Carrie Lansing, | Denny Crane贬损Carrie Lansing |
[25:11] | he demeaned our court system, and he should be dealt with. | 他贬损我们司法系统 所以应该被处分 |
[25:22] | Mr. Crane? | Crane先生? |
[25:24] | Denny, I have a good feel for this. Can I take it? | Denny 我想到了一个很好的点 能让我试一下么? |
[25:26] | I’ll take it. | 我来 |
[25:30] | This is, um, pretty powerful stuff. | 这是 嗯 是个很严重的事情 |
[25:34] | I can see Mr. Ripley’s a very powerful man. | 看的出来 Ripley先生是一个很强势的人 |
[25:36] | And that’s a big thing with lawyers, isn’t it? Power. | 对于一个律师来说气场很重要 是吗? 气场 |
[25:42] | The fear of feeling weak. | 一种害怕弱小的感觉 |
[25:45] | I’ve seen it before. Attorneys coming up against Denny Crane. | 我之前见识过 律师们遇到Denny Crane |
[25:50] | They jump, and stomp, and shake their fists, | 他们又跳又跺脚 甚至挥着他们的拳头 |
[25:52] | and bellow with impassioned rage. | 带着满腔愤怒乱叫 |
[25:54] | Makes quite a demonstration, doesn’t it? | 有点像在示威游行 不是吗? |
[25:57] | But when you cut through to the merits, | 但当你把这些道义除掉 |
[25:58] | this lady has alleged in her complaint loss of consortium, | 这位女士只不过在起诉状里面宣称丧失了获得相伴 相恋及性爱等的配偶权 |
[26:03] | legal terms meaning sex and affection. | 法律上就是丧失性生活和获得关爱的权利 |
[26:06] | And if she’s enjoying sex and affection, | 如果她正享受着性生活和关爱 |
[26:10] | it’s relevant. It’s a mitigating factor. | 那就有关了 这是减责的一个考虑因素 |
[26:11] | I’m entitled to explore it. | 那我就有权去刨根问底了 |
[26:14] | Mr. Ripley may not like it, but it’s legitimate. | Ripley先生可能不喜欢 但这是合法的 |
[26:17] | And, I may add, | 还有 我也可以说 |
[26:18] | that I conducted my probe in the relative privacy of a closed conference room. | 我是在一个相对隐秘的会议室质询 |
[26:24] | Mr. Powerful man made it much more public | 而气场先生却把它公诸于众 |
[26:27] | with his impassioned chest-thumping in a courtroom. | 在庭上带着他满腔热情 捶胸顿足 |
[26:31] | – I object to this. – Oh, go ahead and pound the table. | – 反对 – 哦 随便 继续拍桌子吧 |
[26:33] | I’ll tell you what I object to. | 我告诉你 我反对什么吧 |
[26:37] | We have an offer on the table that you so love to pound. | 和解协议在你喜欢拍的那张桌子上 |
[26:42] | An offer I can’t discuss because the settlement talks have been sealed. | 因为协议是保密的 所以我们不能去讨论它 |
[26:45] | Suffice to say it is on the high side, the extreme high side, | 但开价绝对很高 非常高的 |
[26:48] | considering the fact that liability is not certain. | 尤其相对于责任还没确定这个因素来讲 |
[26:53] | Mr. Lansing had a preexisting heart condition. | 而且死者有先天性心脏病 |
[26:57] | But instead of taking the offer, | 但还没有接受协议 |
[26:59] | powerful guys like Mr. Ripley wanna go to trial. Why? | 像Ripley先生这样厉害的人物 非得搞到上法庭 为什么? |
[27:03] | Because I’m the opponent. | 因为我是对手 |
[27:07] | It’s a coup to beat the big guy. | 打败一个高手很有成就感 |
[27:12] | Well, what if you don’t? | 但如果你失败了呢? |
[27:15] | You demean the profession, Mr. Powerful guy. | 你就贬损了整个律师行业 气场先生 |
[27:17] | You’re using your client to get a notch. | 你踩着客户往上爬 |
[27:20] | You’re making Carrie Lansing go through the ordeal of a trial for your own ego. | 你利用Carrie Lanshing的悲伤 去赢官司 以此满足自己的虚荣心 |
[27:26] | – Objection! – A trial you may lose, in which case, she gets nothing. | – 反对! – 输了官司 她一无所有了 |
[27:29] | – Objection! – Oh, but if you’re loud enough, | – 反对! – 哦 但如果你够大声 |
[27:30] | – Objection! – forceful enough and strong enough, | – 反对! – 够强势 还有够强大 |
[27:33] | she may never realize that you blew it. | 她永远不知道 是你搞砸的 |
[28:02] | Brad? | 是Brad? |
[28:03] | Funny. | 有意思 |
[28:05] | You’d like me to feel threatened, wouldn’t you? | 你想我有危机感 不是吗? |
[28:09] | I may not be able to talk as fast, | 我可不会说话那么快 |
[28:12] | but my tongue is certainly more versatile. | 但我的舌头肯定比他的更有才 |
[28:21] | You disapprove of me. | 你不同意 |
[28:23] | And that warms my cockles. | 这让我有有欲望了 |
[28:28] | – I’m afraid something’s come up. – Oh, don’t tell me. | – 我有不详的预感 – 哦 别告诉 |
[28:30] | Her flight left an hour ago. She’s gone. | 她的飞机一小时之前起飞 她走了 |
[28:32] | So… | 那… |
[28:34] | Shopping. | 购物 |
[28:36] | Maybe not shoes… | 也许不用买鞋… |
[28:39] | but something… | 但可以是… |
[28:42] | slippery to perhaps slide out of later. | 丝滑到不一会儿就掉下来的东西 |
[28:47] | I’m not that easy. | 我不是那么随便的 |
[28:50] | Well, I am. | 可我是 |
[29:03] | Do you feel responsible for her being in there? | 她被关起来 是你的责任吗? |
[29:05] | I certainly was a precipitating factor. | 我绝对是个促进因素 |
[29:08] | Is she well now? | 她现在还好吗? |
[29:11] | I think so. | 我想是吧 |
[29:13] | But perhaps I’m inclined to believe that. | 也许是我一厢情愿的想法 |
[29:17] | You might come to value my latitude on these matters | 但你可能会赞成我在这事上的做法 |
[29:20] | somewhat more fully on the day you try to kill me. | 等到你想杀我的那一天 |
[29:25] | I miss you. | 我想你了 |
[29:32] | I have a friend who has this amazing house in Vermont. | 我有个朋友在Vermont有间漂亮的房子 |
[29:36] | Maybe for Columbus weekend, we could sneak up there. | Columbus的周末 我们偷溜到那里 |
[29:38] | I love Vermont. | 我爱Vermont |
[29:40] | Would you allow me to cover your body in maple syrup? | 我可以把枫叶果酱涂你身上吗? |
[29:49] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[30:18] | – Where did she stay? – I have no idea. | – 她在哪? – 我不知道 |
[30:20] | I wouldn’t even know where to go look for her. | 我甚至不知道到哪去找她 |
[30:22] | Well, she clearly knows where to look for you. | 好吧 她显然很清楚要上哪找你 |
[30:23] | – Alan, she is stalking you. – She’s not… | – Alan 她在跟踪你 – 她没有… |
[30:25] | Crazy? She tried to kill you, she was institutionalized, | 疯? 她想要杀了你 她被关进过精神病院 |
[30:28] | now she’s out, and she’s stalking you. | 现在她出来了 在跟踪你 |
[30:31] | You said that you were her legal guardian. | 你说过你是她监护人 |
[30:32] | It’s a technicality. | 是法律上的说法 |
[30:33] | Well, you may have certain rights to have her recommitted. | 好吧 那你就有权利把她关回去 |
[30:36] | She hasn’t done anything to warrant that. | 她又没做什么 |
[30:38] | At the very least, you could get a restraining order. | 最起码 你可以拿到限制令 |
[30:40] | There’s nothing to warrant that, either. | 那也没有正当理由关她 |
[30:42] | Do you really want to wait till there is? | 那真要等到有理由的时候吗? |
[30:55] | Brad. | Brad啊 |
[30:58] | You hear? | 你听到了吗? |
[30:59] | He won the motion and settled the case. | 他赢得了这次申请也解决了这个案子 |
[31:02] | You must be disappointed. | 你肯定失望了 |
[31:05] | I know what you were hoping for, Paul. | 我知道你希望什么 Paul |
[31:08] | Let me tell you something, my friend. | 等我给你说一些事吧 朋友 |
[31:12] | I have loved and admired Denny Crane a lot longer than you have. | 我比你更爱更尊敬Denny Crane |
[31:16] | We all want him to be great. | 我们都想他好好的 |
[31:18] | If you loved him, you wouldn’t have ordered his demise to be public. | 如果你真爱他 你就不会当众羞辱他 |
[31:37] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[31:38] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[31:41] | Plaintiff lost his motion for sanctions, accepted our offer. | 原告输了制裁申请 接受了我们的协议 |
[31:45] | Case is over, settled, done. | 案件结束 和解 完了 |
[31:49] | I heard. | 我听说了 |
[31:52] | Denny, you did an incredible job. | Denny 你很棒 |
[31:55] | I think you turned his own client against him in there. | 我觉得你挑拨他和他客户的关系 |
[31:57] | Is that what you think? | 你真的是这么想的? |
[32:01] | Am I now to put stock in what you think? | 现在又开始高度评价我了吗? |
[32:03] | Denny, I just came here to congratulate you. | Denny 我纯粹是来恭喜你的 |
[32:05] | I don’t need your praise. | 我不需要你的恭维 |
[32:12] | Hardware. Trunks full of praise. | 一堆金属和荣誉 |
[32:16] | – Denny… – I want your respect. | – Denny… – 我想要得到尊重 |
[32:20] | I’m senior partner. | 我是资深合伙人 |
[32:22] | Respect goes with the job. | 这个职位就应该得到尊重 |
[32:26] | Not to mention I’ve earned it. | 就更不用说 我已经得到了 |
[32:34] | I’ve earned it. | 我已经得到了 |
[32:40] | Don’t you think I feel the wagons circling? | 你不觉得 我已经察觉到一切在向前吗? |
[32:49] | Now comes the plaintiff. | 说到原告 |
[32:50] | Hereinafter, the alleges and charges as follows. | 如下文 诉求和控诉如下 |
[32:53] | Count one, on September 11th in the year of our lord… | 第一项 在九月十一号第一年… |
[33:00] | I’m so, so sorry. | 我真的 真的感到抱歉 |
[33:03] | – I came to see you last night, only… – why did you not go to Chicago? | – 我昨晚来找你 只是… – 你为什么不去芝加哥? |
[33:05] | I decided to collect a few letters of recommendation before I leave. | 我想在离开前 拿一些推荐信 |
[33:09] | – If I’m going to try… – You could do that by phone. | – 如果我尝试去… – 你可以打电话的 |
[33:11] | I could, and I planned to, | 可以啊 而我原本是这么打算的 |
[33:13] | but Bernie levinson, senior partner at my old firm, | 但Bernie Levinson 我以前事务所的资深合伙人 |
[33:15] | insists on meeting me in person. | 坚持要亲自见我 |
[33:17] | Evidently, he wants to be sure I’m not nuts. | 很显然 他想要确定 我不是疯子 |
[33:21] | So I’m seeing him at 2:00, I fly out at 6:00. | 我准备2点见他 然后6点飞走 |
[33:26] | All right, so… | 好吧 那… |
[33:28] | why’d you come to find me last night? | 昨晚你为什么要来找我? |
[33:30] | You weren’t picking up your cell, and… | 你不接电话 还有… |
[33:34] | Alan, I’m so sorry. I had no idea you were on a date. | Alan 很抱歉 我不知道你在约会 |
[33:38] | I shouldn’t have come at all. | 我根本就不应该来 |
[33:40] | I, I realized that. I left as soon as I saw the expression on your face and… | 我 我意识到了 我看见你脸上的表情就离开了 还有… |
[33:46] | I truly, truly apologize. | 我真的真的很抱歉 |
[33:50] | I have to be honest, Christine, it scared… | 我必须要诚实地说 Christine 昨天那事很可怕… |
[33:54] | the hell out of me. | 真吓到我了 |
[33:57] | Believe me, | 相信我 |
[33:58] | if I had thought for a second that you were on a date… | 如果我想一下知道你在约会… |
[34:02] | Sally, is it, is it serious? | Sally 是吧 是认真的吗? |
[34:04] | I really don’t want to talk about it. | 我真不想再说了 |
[34:06] | May I ask why not? | 可以问下为什么不能吗? |
[34:10] | We’re friends, are we not? Good friends. | 我们是朋友 不是吗? 好朋友 |
[34:13] | It’s only natural for us to discuss our lives with each other. | 聊聊彼此生活上的事都是很自然的 |
[34:16] | I really don’t want to talk about it. | 我真的不想说了 |
[34:19] | Are you embarrassed? | 你是不好意思了吗? |
[34:24] | Is this just some young thing you like to screw… | 这又是你新鲜的猎物… |
[34:27] | dinner and a quickie, something casual? | 吃饭 做爱一类常规的东西? |
[34:33] | I’m sorry. That was inappropriate. I… | 抱歉 这种话不怎么好听 我… |
[34:38] | Maybe I still do get pangs. | 或许我还没缓过来 |
[34:40] | Anyway, I, again, apologize for just showing up last night. | 不管怎样 我再次 为昨晚的出现道歉 |
[34:46] | I think I will leave before this gets awkward. | 我想 还是趁事情没搞砸之前滚蛋吧 |
[35:10] | Why don’t we rent a nice restaurant for these things? | 为什么不订一个情调好一点的餐厅呢? |
[35:13] | Because it’s all about impressing the clients, | 因为这要给客户留个好印象的 |
[35:15] | who like to know that inflated fees buy fancy offices. | 他们总觉得我们昂贵的律师费都拿来装修办公室了 |
[35:19] | Hey, how you doing? | 嘿 大家都好吗? |
[35:21] | Brad. Just talking about you. | Brad 刚刚才说起你 |
[35:25] | Okay, we weren’t. | 好吧 我们没有 |
[35:28] | Sally, would you dance with me? | Sally 可以请你跳一支舞吗? |
[35:29] | – Well… – oh, that’s right. | – 呃… – 噢 好吧 |
[35:31] | You’re with big Al Tara. | 你已经有了大人物Alan了 Tara |
[35:33] | I love to. | 乐意至极 |
[35:35] | They make a lovely couple, | 他们还蛮般配的 |
[35:37] | and he’s got a nice, tight ass, don’t you think? | 他还有一个翘臀 不觉得吗? |
[35:40] | You think? | 你说呢 |
[35:46] | Oh. | 噢 |
[35:48] | Christine? | Christine啊? |
[35:49] | Something’s come up. | 出事了 |
[35:51] | Nothing bad. It’s great, actually, | 不是坏事 事实上 是好消息 |
[35:53] | but I think I better discuss it with you in person. | 但我觉得 亲自和你说比较好 |
[35:56] | Can I steal two minutes? | 我能借你两分钟吗? |
[35:58] | I’m at an office party. | 我在员工舞会上 |
[35:59] | Can you tell me about it over the phone? | 就在电话里说 可以吗? |
[36:01] | I’d really prefer to do it in person. | 我真的想当面说 |
[36:17] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[36:26] | – Denny, I… – I accept your congratulations. | – Denny 我… – 我接受你的恭喜 |
[36:30] | Don’t linger like we’re friends. | 别弄得我们像朋友一样 |
[36:35] | We used to be friends. | 我们曾经是朋友吧 |
[36:38] | We used to sit out on balconies at night as kids | 我们还是小伙子的时候 晚上常常坐在阳台外面 |
[36:42] | and criticize each other’s openings and closings. | 还有互批彼此的开场和结案词 |
[36:47] | Remember those days, Denny? | 还记得那些日子吗 Denny? |
[36:49] | When we were open to each other’s criticism and candor? | 我们都很大方地接受对方的批评? |
[36:57] | ” Open ” is a funny choice of word. | 你说”大方”这个词实在太有意思了 |
[37:00] | You’re a out-in-the-open sort of fellow, Paul? | 你是大方以外的人 Paul? |
[37:04] | You know exactly what sort of fellow I am. | 你最清楚我是什么人 |
[37:10] | I’m still a good lawyer. | 我依然是一个好律师 |
[37:15] | Yes, you are. | 是 你是 |
[37:21] | You remember Muhammad Ali’s last fight? | 你还记得拳王阿里最后一击吗? |
[37:24] | We had ringside seats. | 我们就在台边 |
[37:26] | He lost so pathetically to Larry Holmes. | 他很惨的输给了Larry Holmes |
[37:29] | We were so crushed. | 我们都很沮丧 |
[37:32] | The tragedy that night, Denny, wasn’t that he couldn’t still box. | Denny 悲剧不是他不能打比赛了 |
[37:36] | He could. | 他可以 |
[37:37] | The tragedy was… | 悲剧是… |
[37:40] | that he still thought he was Ali. | 他依然觉得他是阿里 |
[37:45] | You’re a good lawyer, my friend. | 你是个好律师 我的朋友 |
[37:49] | You’re just not Denny Crane. | 只不过你不是Denny Crane了 |
[38:23] | Hanging out with all your friends? | 撇下你的朋友自己出来了? |
[38:26] | Whoever designed women’s shoes… | 是谁设计女人的鞋子… |
[38:28] | May I? | 让我来吧? |
[38:33] | Nothing personal. It’s a fetish. | 没什么私心 只是出于好心 |
[38:39] | Your fingers are so… | 你手指很… |
[38:41] | Yes, thank you. | 是的 谢谢 |
[38:43] | My uncle was a butcher. | 我叔叔是个屠夫 |
[38:50] | Don’t you think Sally might object to this? | 你不怕Sally介意吗? |
[38:52] | We’re nonexclusive when it comes to feet. | 我们对脚没有占有欲 |
[38:55] | Oh, dear, you have a bunion. | 哦 亲爱的 你得了拇囊炎 |
[39:03] | Did you come in here for something? | 你来这儿有什么目的? |
[39:05] | Why are you counseling Sally to distance herself from me? | 为什么你要叫Sally和我保持距离? |
[39:09] | There are happily ever after guys, | 和有些男人分手后会觉得开心 |
[39:11] | and there are those who leave girls in a heap. | 还有一些会让女孩觉得痛苦不已 |
[39:14] | And I can tell the difference. | 我能说出他们的区别 |
[39:16] | You speak from personal experience? | 从你个人经历总结出的? |
[39:19] | That’s private. | 那是我的私事 |
[39:23] | Then perhaps I should get to know you better | 也许我应该多了解你一点 |
[39:27] | and ask again. | 再问 |
[39:32] | And I’d love to. | 我也很乐意 |
[39:34] | but right now, I’m going to go dance with Sally. | 但现在 我和Sally跳舞去了 |
[40:05] | This is nice. | 感觉很好 |
[40:08] | I know a cozy little photocopying machine we could adjourn to. | 我知道在一台舒适的复印机上感觉会更好 |
[40:11] | You’re expecting a visitor, remember? | 你还在等人 没忘吧? |
[40:13] | She said it would take two minutes. | 她说只要两分钟 |
[40:19] | She’s beautiful. | 她很漂亮 |
[40:21] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[40:22] | She’s here. | 她在这 |
[40:29] | And she’s beautiful. | 她很漂亮 |
[40:38] | Time me. Two minutes. | 给我掐表 两分钟 |
[40:44] | Christine, you look stunning. | Christine 好漂亮啊 |
[40:45] | Well, I knew you were having a fancy party. | 恩 我知道你在参加一个很棒的舞会 |
[40:48] | I didn’t want to appear conspicuous, so I threw something on. | 我不想弄得全场瞩目 就随便穿上一件 |
[40:51] | I see. | 看出来了 |
[40:53] | And what did you want to talk about? | 那你想说什么? |
[40:54] | – Well, can we go to your office? – I’d prefer not. | – 那 能不能去你办公室再说? – 不用了 |
[41:00] | Well, being that I just showed up at your date the other night, | 好吧 就在我出现在你约会的第二天晚上 |
[41:02] | I didn’t want you to think I was following you. | 我不想你误会 我在跟踪你 |
[41:04] | You know I wouldn’t do that, right? | 你知道 我不会那么做 对吧? |
[41:05] | What have you come to talk about, Christine? | 你来究竟是要说些什么 Christine? |
[41:09] | My meeting with Bernie Levinson went incredibly well, | 我和Bernie Levinson的见面十分顺利 |
[41:12] | and… | 然后… |
[41:14] | Well, he’s rehired me. | 恩 他又重新聘用我了 |
[41:17] | I can start as soon as Monday. | 星期一就可以上班了 |
[41:19] | Can you believe it? | 你能相信吗 |
[41:21] | What about Chicago? | 那芝加哥呢? |
[41:23] | The truth is I think I have a better chance at achieving normalcy in Boston. | 实际上 我觉得留在波士顿有更多的发展机会 |
[41:29] | I called Dr. Gill. He agreed, the less change, | 我给Gill医生打过电话 他也同意少点改变 |
[41:33] | the better. | 好一点 |
[41:34] | I can see him as an outpatient, and… | 我会去他那复诊 还有… |
[41:36] | Your guardians, your parents, are in Illinois. | 你的监护人 你的父母 在伊利诺伊州 |
[41:38] | I was released to you in Massachusetts. | 放出来之后 在马马萨诸塞州 你就是我的监护人 |
[41:42] | I was afraid you’d freak if I told you this on the phone, | 我怕在电话告诉你 你不相信 |
[41:45] | or if you just ran into me at the courthouse. | 或者你就直接把我拉上法庭 |
[41:48] | This is why I wanted to give you the news in person. | 这就是我想亲自告诉你的原因 |
[41:53] | Okay. | 好 |
[41:55] | It’s truly fantastic news. | 的确是个好消息 |
[41:58] | Isn’t it, Alan? | 不是吗 Alan? |
[42:04] | I got my old job back. | 我又可以做回老本行了 |
[42:07] | Yes. | 是 |
[42:12] | It is. | 的确 |