时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | My new book The Hidden Reality takes on a grand question: | 我的新书《隐藏的真相》讨论了一个很大的问题 |
[00:07] | Is our universe the only universe? | 我们的宇宙是唯一的吗 |
[00:10] | You see, there’s a growing belief among scientists like me | 越来越多像我这样的科学家相信 |
[00:13] | that ours may only be one among many universes | 我们也许只是茫茫空间里众多宇宙中的 |
[00:17] | populating a gigantic cosmos. | 其中一个 |
[00:19] | In The Hidden Reality, I explore this possibility | 在《隐藏的真相》中 我在不涉及 |
[00:22] | without presuming any knowledge of mathematics or physics | 任何数学和物理知识的情况下 |
[00:25] | on the part of the reader. | 向读者阐释了这一可能 |
[00:27] | Hysterical. | 可笑至极 |
[00:30] | I’m glad you talked me into this. | 很高兴你说服我来这里 |
[00:32] | We work so hard, sometimes, it’s nice to goof off | 咱们平时太辛苦了 有时候偷个闲 |
[00:34] | – and do something silly. – Agreed. | -干点儿蠢事儿也挺好的 -没错 |
[00:37] | Wait till you hear how he dumbs down Werner Heisenberg for the crowd. | 你等着听他跟大家胡扯沃纳·海森堡吧 |
[00:40] | You may actually believe you’re in a comedy club. | 你都会觉得自己是在德云社听相声 |
[00:44] | You can think about Heisenberg’s “uncertainty principle” | 你可以觉得海森堡的”不确定性原理” |
[00:46] | much like the special order menu | 就像是在某些中国餐馆里的 |
[00:49] | that you find in certain Chinese restaurants, where you have | 每日特供菜单 你会发现有些菜 |
[00:51] | dishes in column A and other dishes in column B, | 在A栏里 有些菜在B栏里 |
[00:54] | and if you order the first dish in column A, | 如果你点了A栏里的第一道菜 |
[00:55] | you can’t order the corresponding dish in column B. | 你就不能点B栏里的第一道菜了 |
[00:58] | That’s sort of like the “uncertainly principle.” | 这就有点像”不确定性原理” |
[01:02] | Ba-dum-bump. | 当里个当 |
[01:06] | Say, I heard an interesting tidbit | 说起来 我听说了霍华德和 |
[01:08] | about Howard and Bernadette. | 伯纳黛特的一件趣事儿 |
[01:09] | Really, Amy? Gossip? | 你开玩笑吧 艾米 跟我聊八卦 |
[01:11] | I’m disappointed in you. | 我对你失望了 |
[01:13] | No, now. | 别急啊 |
[01:14] | Evolutionary biologist Robin Dunbar has identified gossip | 进化生物学家罗宾·邓巴把八卦定义为 |
[01:17] | as an aid to social bonding in large groups. | 一种有助于在大群体内维系感情的手段 |
[01:20] | Forgive my language, but “poppycock”. | 恕我直言 全是扯淡 |
[01:24] | What if he’s right? | 万一不是呢 |
[01:25] | And by not participating in gossip, | 如果没有八卦 |
[01:26] | society breaks down into | 社会就会分裂成为 |
[01:28] | small feral bands of tattooed motorcycle riders | 一个个纹身摩托车手组成的野蛮小帮派 |
[01:30] | fighting to the death over the last few cans of tuna fish. | 为了最后几罐金枪鱼罐头打得死去活来 |
[01:33] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[01:34] | In the parlance of the urban music scene, | 用城市音乐[黑人音乐]的术语来说 |
[01:36] | “what’s the 4-1-1”? | “你想跟我说啥” |
[01:36] | 411为美国查号台 这里代指信息的意思 | |
[01:40] | Bernadette is thinking about breaking up with Howard. | 伯纳黛特想和霍华德分手 |
[01:43] | I believe our nation’s tuna cans are safe. | 我觉得咱国家的金枪鱼罐头还是安全的 |
[01:46] | Excuse me. Dr. Greene, question? | 抱歉等下聊 格林博士 我能提问吗 |
[01:49] | Yes? | 请讲 |
[01:50] | You’ve dedicated your life’s work | 您一直致力于 |
[01:52] | to educating the general populace | 向公众宣传灌输一些 |
[01:54] | about complex scientific ideas. | 复杂的科学理念 |
[01:56] | Yes, in part. | 对 差不多 |
[01:58] | Have you ever considered | 您有没有考虑过 |
[01:59] | trying to do something useful? | 干点儿更有意义的事儿呢 |
[02:04] | Perhaps, reading to the elderly? | 比如 给老人念书 |
[02:07] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[02:08] | Yeah, but not your books; something they might enjoy. | 嗯 不过别念你的书 念点儿他们喜欢的 |
[02:13] | I kid, of course. Big fan. | 当然咯 我开玩笑啦 支持你哦 |
[02:48] | – Nice shot. – Thank you. | -射得好 -多谢 |
[02:52] | My father taught me archery as a child. | 我父亲从小就在训练我射箭了 |
[03:00] | It’s odd how the activity | 真没想到这项运动居然能唤起 |
[03:01] | brings back the smell of Kmart bourbon. | 印象中凯马特波旁酒的醇香[他父亲酗酒] |
[03:06] | – Perfect. – I know. | -漂亮 -我知道 |
[03:09] | What an elf I would have made. | 我肯定能当个出色的精灵 |
[03:14] | What do you think you’re doing? | 你觉得你在干嘛呢 |
[03:15] | Shooting at a target? | 冲着靶子射箭啊 |
[03:16] | With what? | 拿什么射 |
[03:18] | – An arrow. – Really? | -箭啊 -你开玩笑吧 |
[03:19] | I didn’t see you draw one from your quiver. | 我都没看见你从箭筒里取箭 |
[03:23] | I’m not going to do that, Sheldon. | 我不会这么傻的 谢尔顿 |
[03:24] | Leonard, the people at Nintendo can only go so far | 莱纳德 任天堂的人在重现真实的 |
[03:28] | in helping us recreate an actual athletic experience. | 竞技体验这方面只能做到这份儿上了 |
[03:31] | We have to do our part, too. | 剩下的得靠我们自己 |
[03:41] | That was uncalled for, but… | 虽然比较出乎意料 但是 |
[03:43] | I’ll play along. Ow. | 我还是配合一下吧 痛 |
[03:49] | I had an unusual experience with Amy last night. | 我昨晚和艾米有一次非凡的体验 |
[03:52] | Really? How could you tell? | 真的吗 你怎么感觉出来的 |
[03:57] | She was attempting to engage me in gossip. | 她想和我聊八卦 |
[04:00] | – Mm. You don’t say. – Yes. | -你肯定不干 -对 |
[04:02] | I think prolonged exposure to Penny | 我觉得跟佩妮混时间长了 |
[04:03] | has turned her into a bit of a Gabby Gertie. | 她也变得有点儿女孩子气了 |
[04:07] | So, what’s the gossip? | 什么八卦啊 |
[04:08] | Oh, please, I was just pointing it out. | 拜托 我都说了 |
[04:10] | I have no desire to engage in the activity. | 我对这种东西完全没兴趣 |
[04:13] | Fine, don’t tell me. | 好吧 那就别跟我说了 |
[04:16] | All right, get this. | 好吧 听着 |
[04:19] | Bernadette is thinking about breaking up with Howard. | 伯纳黛特想和霍华德分手 |
[04:24] | That’s too bad. I wonder what happened. | 真糟糕 出什么事儿了啊 |
[04:26] | Mm, it’s hard to say. I can only speculate | 不好说 我只能推测一下 |
[04:28] | based on the data I collected | 根据我观察我父母的婚姻分崩离析 |
[04:29] | watching my parents’ marriage implode. | 所得到的数据 |
[04:32] | In that case, the woman dives into religion, | 在我们家 我妈一头扎进了宗教的海洋 |
[04:34] | while the man dives into a bottle-blonde bartender | 而我爸则一头扎进了金发女酒保的怀抱 |
[04:37] | who tries to buy my love with action figures. | 那女人还想用超级英雄的玩具收买我呢 |
[04:42] | Oop! Out of arrows. | 啊哦 没箭了 |
[04:55] | Boy, you sure get your money’s worth out of these games. | 天啊 你这游戏买的真是太值了 |
[05:01] | – Priya, can I come in? – Sure. | -普丽娅 我能进来吗 -进吧 |
[05:05] | Oh, God. | 天啊 |
[05:07] | – What? – It’s okay. | -怎么了 -没事 |
[05:08] | You didn’t know. I’ll take care of it. | 你不知道罢了 我来处理吧 |
[05:12] | What-what did I do? | 我 我做错什么了 |
[05:13] | Sheldon doesn’t allow flossing | 谢尔顿禁止在离镜子 |
[05:15] | that close to the mirror. | 这么近的地方用牙线 |
[05:16] | You’re kidding. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[05:18] | It’s a splatter thing. | 会溅上去的 |
[05:19] | There’s a little piece of tape on the floor | 地板上贴了一小段胶带 |
[05:21] | you’re supposed to stand behind. | 你得站在胶带后面 |
[05:23] | – That’s madness. – I know. | -太雷人了 -我知道 |
[05:25] | Just do it. There’s a big inspection coming up, | 照做吧 待会儿会有大检查 |
[05:27] | and I don’t want to lose my TV privileges. | 我可不想失去看电视的特权 |
[05:31] | You really need to let me take a look | 你迟早得让我看一眼 |
[05:32] | at that roommate agreement, one of these days. | 那个室友协议 |
[05:34] | Mm, I don’t know. | 有这必要吗 |
[05:36] | I get a lawyer, he gets a lawyer… | 我俩各自请律师对簿公堂吗 |
[05:38] | It’s just easier to stand behind the tape. | 还是老老实实站黄线后算了 |
[05:41] | Oh, by the way, a fellow at work said | 对了 我一个同事说 |
[05:42] | I could use his Dodger tickets this weekend. | 要给我周末道奇队比赛的门票 |
[05:44] | – Does that sound like fun? – Yeah! | -应该很好玩吧 -那是 |
[05:47] | Dodgers are baseball, right? | 道奇是棒球队 对吧 |
[05:49] | You’ll need to explain the game to me. | 你到时候得给我解释一下比赛规则 |
[05:51] | Mm, it’s complicated. | 规则很复杂的 |
[05:53] | But as I remember it, the essentials are | 不过在我看来 棒球的精髓就是 |
[05:55] | “get chosen last, get hit by the ball, cry, go home” . | 最后才被选中 被球打 痛哭 回家 |
[05:59] | Well, regardless, I’ve got four tickets. | 不管怎么说都好 我有四张票呢 |
[06:02] | And I was thinking we can bring Bernadette and Howard. | 叫上伯纳黛特和霍华德一起去好吗 |
[06:04] | She’s really interesting, | 伯纳黛特真的很有意思 |
[06:05] | and I bet I can get used to him. | 我想我早晚也能适应霍华德的存在 |
[06:08] | Well, it might not be a great idea | 叫他俩去可能 |
[06:09] | – to invite those two. – Why not? | -不太好 -为什么 |
[06:12] | Don’t tell anybody I told you, | 别跟别人说是我说的 |
[06:14] | but I heard she might be breaking up with him. | 不过据说伯纳黛特可能要跟霍华德分手 |
[06:16] | Oh…too bad… | 太可惜了 |
[06:18] | Although I do know one person for whom that’s good news. | 不过我倒认识一个会因此高兴的人 |
[06:20] | Really? Who? | 真的吗 谁呀 |
[06:21] | My brother. | 我哥 |
[06:22] | He’s got a big crush on Bernadette. | 他超喜欢伯纳黛特 |
[06:27] | What? | 什么 |
[06:29] | You’re kidding. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[06:30] | No. I found poems he wrote about her. | 没有 我看到过他给她写的诗 |
[06:33] | Very disturbing. | 超诡异的 |
[06:35] | “Oh, Bernadette, please play my clarinet” . | “噢 伯纳黛特 吹响我的单簧管吧” |
[06:41] | – Wow, that’s hard to believe. – Yes. | -这太难以置信了 -就是说呀 |
[06:44] | And for years, everyone in my family | 这么多年来 我家所有人 |
[06:46] | was convinced that he was the clarinet enthusiast. | 都坚信他有同性恋倾向呢 |
[06:52] | What’s that piece of tape? | 这条黄线又是干嘛的 |
[06:53] | Oh, that one doesn’t apply to you. You sit. | 你用不着担心这个 反正你坐着上厕所 |
[06:59] | How’s it going? | 近来好吗 |
[07:00] | Not too bad. Did you hear about Howard and Bernadette? | 还不错 你听说伯纳黛特和霍华德的事了吗 |
[07:03] | ‘Course I heard about it. How did you hear about it? | 当然了 你是怎么知道的 |
[07:05] | I heard about it from Sheldon. | 我是听谢尔顿说的 |
[07:06] | – He got it from Amy. – Oh, damn it. | -他是听艾米说的 -该死 |
[07:08] | I told Amy that in the strictest confidence. | 我还叫艾米绝对不能告诉别人呢 |
[07:10] | Boy, some people are such blabbermouths. | 有些人还真是大嘴巴 |
[07:14] | Well, whatever. | 随便啦 |
[07:15] | I’m sure Bernadette can do better. | 我相信伯纳黛特肯定能找到更好的 |
[07:17] | Do you think a sexually ambivalent Indian astrophysicist | 你觉得一个有选择性缄默症 酗酒问题 |
[07:20] | with selective mutism and alcohol issues is better than | 而且性取向不稳定的印度天体物理学家 |
[07:22] | a hundred-pound Jewish guy who lives with his mom? | 比体重一百磅 跟老妈住的犹太人强吗 |
[07:26] | You are kidding. Raj likes Bernadette? | 你开玩笑吧 拉杰喜欢伯纳黛特吗 |
[07:29] | I didn’t say Raj. Who said Raj? | 我可没说是拉杰 谁说是拉杰了 |
[07:33] | Okay, give. | 好了 快说 |
[07:34] | How do you know? Did he tell you? | 你怎么知道的 他自己说的吗 |
[07:36] | – No. – Well, then who? | -不是 -那是谁说的 |
[07:38] | I can’t say… | 我不能说 |
[07:40] | Priya told you. What a little gossip. | 普丽娅告诉你的 真是个小八婆 |
[07:44] | You know, not an attractive quality in a woman, Leonard. | 一个女人这么八婆可不好 莱纳德 |
[07:46] | Not judging, just my opinion. | 我不是说她坏话 只是个人看法而已 |
[07:50] | Well, The point is, if this got out, | 问题是 要是这件事传开了 |
[07:52] | it would destroy Howard and Raj’s friendship. | 可能会影响霍华德和拉杰的友谊 |
[07:54] | You don’t have to worry. | 你用不着担心 |
[07:55] | Unlike Amy and Priya, I know how to keep a secret. | 我又不像艾米和普丽娅 我嘴可严呢 |
[07:59] | You’re the one who told Amy in the first place. | 这件事一开始就是你告诉艾米的 |
[08:01] | In confidence. | 我有叫她保密呀 |
[08:09] | Hello, Mummy. Hello, Daddy. How are you? | 你好 妈妈 你好 爸爸 你们好吗 |
[08:12] | We’re very rich in a very poor country. | 我们是穷国里的富人 |
[08:14] | So, all in all, can’t complain. | 所以 总的来说 没啥好抱怨的 |
[08:18] | So, Priya, | 普丽娅 |
[08:19] | how are enjoying staying with your brother? | 你在你哥家住的还好吗 |
[08:21] | It’s fine. But if I’m going to stay | 还不错 但是如果我要继续 |
[08:23] | in Los Angeles much longer, | 留在洛杉矶的话 |
[08:24] | I think I should get my own place. | 我想我应该找个地方自己搬出去住 |
[08:26] | Why? | 为什么 |
[08:27] | Is Rajesh not making you feel comfortable? | 拉杰没给你提供舒适的环境吗 |
[08:29] | Rajesh, why aren’t you making your sister comfortable? | 拉杰 你为什么不给你妹妹提供舒适的环境 |
[08:33] | I am making her comfortable. | 我有啊 |
[08:35] | Besides, she’s not sleeping here | 再说 反正她一半时间 |
[08:36] | half the time anyw… | 都不在我这睡 |
[08:40] | What? | 什么 |
[08:41] | Where are you sleeping, Priya? | 那你去哪睡 普丽娅 |
[08:42] | It’s a figure of speech, Daddy. | 这只是修辞说法而已 爸 |
[08:44] | It means I-I work late. | 意思是说我工作到很晚 |
[08:48] | Please tell me you’re not dating an American. | 别说你交了个美国男朋友 |
[08:50] | I knew this would happen. | 我就知道会这样 |
[08:51] | Rajesh, are you letting your sister | 拉杰 你是不是让你妹 |
[08:53] | date that little Howard boy? | 跟那个叫霍华德的小子交往了 |
[08:56] | Now, hold on. If she is dating an American, | 等会 如果她真交了个美国男朋友的话 |
[08:58] | that’s not a bad way to go. | 找霍华德也不错呀 |
[09:00] | He’s Jewish. | 他是犹太人 |
[09:01] | Those chaps are very successful, | 犹太人都很成功的 |
[09:03] | and they don’t drink a lot. | 而且他们不怎么喝酒 |
[09:05] | It-It doesn’t matter. Howard has a girlfriend. | 这都不重要啦 霍华德有女朋友的 |
[09:07] | – For now. – What does that mean? | -那只是目前而已 -这是什么意思 |
[09:09] | I’ll tell you later. | 晚点再告诉你 |
[09:10] | Is something going on with him and Bernadette? | 他跟伯纳黛特之间出问题了吗 |
[09:12] | – Who’s Bernadette? – Doesn’t sound Jewish. | -伯纳黛特是谁 -听起来不像是犹太人 |
[09:15] | You can’t tell by that. | 听名字哪听得出来 |
[09:16] | Winona Ryder is Jewish. | 威诺纳·赖德[美国女演员]也是犹太人啊 |
[09:20] | Okay, we’re getting off the subject. | 好吧 这个话题先放一放 |
[09:22] | Rajesh, I want you to try harder | 拉杰 你要更努力地 |
[09:23] | to make your sister feel welcome. | 让你妹妹觉得宾至如归 |
[09:25] | Thank you, Daddy. | 谢谢爸爸 |
[09:27] | Don’t worry. Everything I have, I share with her. | 别担心 只要是我的东西 我都会跟她分享的 |
[09:28] | Including my friend Leon… | 包括我朋友莱… |
[09:32] | Good night, Mummy. Good night, Daddy. | 晚安妈妈 晚安爸爸 |
[09:35] | Oh, my God, I think you broke my toe! | 天啊 我脚趾都被你踩断了 |
[09:39] | You should have kept your mouth shut. | 谁叫你多嘴的 |
[09:40] | Fair enough. | 好吧 是我的错 |
[09:42] | Now, what’s up with Clarinet…? Bernadette! | 给我说说单簧管 不对 是伯纳黛特的事吧 |
[09:50] | I’ve been thinking about Dr. Greene’s efforts | 我一直在想格林博士 |
[09:52] | to make science palatable for the masses. | 致力于把科学变得平民化的事 |
[09:55] | Oh, yeah? What about it? | 是吗 想出什么来了 |
[09:57] | That’s all. I’ve just been thinking about it. | 没什么 我就想了下 |
[10:01] | Now, I’m thinking about fractal equations. | 现在 我在想分形方程 |
[10:06] | Now I’m thinking about | 现在我又在想 |
[10:07] | the origin of the phrase “train of thought.” | “思路”这词的词源 |
[10:10] | Now I’m thinking about trains. | 现在我在想火车 |
[10:15] | Are you listening to this guy? | 你在听他说话吗 |
[10:17] | Hmm? Oh, I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[10:18] | I was somewhere else. | 我在想别的 |
[10:20] | Lucky bastard. | 你个幸运的混蛋 |
[10:24] | Now I’m thinking about Jell-O. | 现在我在想果冻 |
[10:28] | So what’s up? | 你怎么了 |
[10:29] | It’s a Bernadette thing. | 是关于伯纳黛特的事 |
[10:32] | Oh, no. I hope everything’s okay. | 不是吧 希望一切都好 |
[10:38] | Whatever it is, we’re here for you. | 不管怎样 我们都挺你的 |
[10:41] | You can tell us anything. | 你尽管畅所欲言 |
[10:43] | Yeah. Good or devastating. | 对 不管是好事或悲剧 |
[10:47] | I’m gonna ask her to marry me. | 我想求她嫁给我 |
[10:49] | – Marry you? – What? | -嫁给你 -什么 |
[10:50] | I just need to figure out the right time to pop the question. | 我只想找个好时机求婚 |
[10:54] | – Oh, I’d wait. – No rush, no rush. | -还是等等吧 -别急 别急 |
[11:00] | Oh, great. It’s my cousin David about the ring. | 太好了 是我表弟问我婚戒的事 |
[11:02] | Hey, David, what’d you find? | 大卫 找得怎样 |
[11:04] | Sure, a half a caret’s fine. | 没问题 半克拉就行 |
[11:07] | Her freakishly small hands make anything look big. | 她那奇小的手 衬得啥都很大 |
[11:11] | It’s one of the reasons I love her. | 这就是我爱她的其中一个理由 |
[11:17] | Man, he’s going to be blindsided. | 天 他会大失所望的 |
[11:19] | I know. It’ll be awful. | 我知道 绝对会很糟 |
[11:24] | Why are you smiling? | 你为什么在笑 |
[11:27] | Yeah, Raj, why? | 对 拉杰 为什么 |
[11:29] | Uh, a smile means something different in my country. | 在我们印度 笑容有不一样含义 |
[11:34] | You know, tears of joy, smile of sadness. | 比如高兴的泪水 悲哀的微笑 |
[11:38] | India’s a goofy place. | 印度是个傻地方 |
[11:41] | Oh, I’m back to trains. | 哦 我又重新开始想火车了 |
[11:53] | Did I tell you our lab got a grant to study addiction? | 我有没告诉过你 我们实验室得到一笔拨款进行一项研究 |
[11:55] | – No. – Fascinating work. | -没有 -很赞的工作 |
[11:57] | I recently trained a capuchin monkey to smoke cigarettes. | 我最近训练出一僧帽猴抽烟 |
[12:01] | Have you learned anything? | 研究到什么了吗 |
[12:03] | Yes. He looks much cooler than the non-smoking monkeys. | 有 它比不抽烟的猴子酷多了 |
[12:08] | Although it’s not much of a contest. | 当然这也不算项比赛 |
[12:09] | The other monkeys just sit around and masturbate. | 其他猴子光会闲坐着手淫 |
[12:16] | If you don’t mind, | 你不介意的话 |
[12:17] | I’d like to stop listening to you and start talking. | 我想停止听你说话 开始发言 |
[12:22] | By all means. | 当然 |
[12:23] | Howard has announced his intention | 霍华德刚宣布 |
[12:25] | to propose marriage to Bernadette. | 他想向伯纳黛特求婚 |
[12:28] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[12:29] | The original piece of gossip indicated an impending breakup. | 八卦一开始不是说他们要分手吗 |
[12:32] | I know. | 就是说啊 |
[12:33] | The group consensus is that his proposal | 我们一致认为他的求婚 |
[12:35] | will be met with an humiliating, soul-crushing rejection. | 将遭到让他丢脸心碎的拒绝 |
[12:39] | Everyone was set a-twitter. | 大家的心情都紧张得要命 |
[12:43] | Although oddly, no one tweeted. | 虽然很奇怪 却没人发微薄 |
[12:47] | It’s not surprising that the story | 我并不奇怪这个故事 |
[12:49] | has captured the attention of our little circle of friends. | 已得到我们小小朋友圈里人的注意 |
[12:51] | Are you familiar with Meme Theory? | 你了解模因理论吗 |
[12:53] | I’m familiar with everything, but go on. | 我什么不了解啊 但继续 |
[12:57] | Meme Theory suggests that | 模因理论认为 |
[12:58] | items of gossip are like living things | 八卦内容就像生物 |
[13:00] | that seek to reproduce using humans as their host. | 力图利用人类作宿主迅速繁殖 |
[13:03] | I’m no stranger to memetic epidemiology. | 我很清楚模因传染病学 |
[13:06] | At Johnson Elementary School, | 在我就读的约翰逊小学 |
[13:08] | the phrase “Shelly Cooper’s a smelly pooper” spread like wildfire. | “谢耳朵是坨臭耳屎”这话就传播迅猛 |
[13:14] | I should think so. | 我想也是 |
[13:16] | That’s gold. | 这句话真是绝了 |
[13:21] | Your meme hypothesis does intrigue me. | 模因假设并不吸引我 |
[13:25] | How might we examine this more closely? | 不如我们更近地检测下 |
[13:27] | Do you have any ethical qualms regarding human experimentation? | 想用人类作实验 你一点都不觉得内疚吗 |
[13:31] | It’s one of the few forms of interaction with people | 这是极少几项跟人类相互交往 |
[13:33] | that I don’t find repellent. | 不让我讨厌的 |
[13:36] | We need to fabricate a tantalizing piece of gossip. | 我们需要假造一则诱人的八卦 |
[13:39] | And a second non-tantalizing piece to use as a control. | 再造一则不诱人的八卦作为实验的控制组 |
[13:43] | Then we’ll track its progress through our social group | 然后追踪它在我们社交圈的发展情况 |
[13:45] | and interpret the results through the competing academic prisms | 通过几项相互矛盾的理论来解释结果 |
[13:47] | of memetic theory, algebraic gossip and epidemiology. | 如模因理论 代数八卦和传染病学 |
[13:52] | Look at you, getting me to engage in the social sciences. | 看看你 居然让我开始研究社会科学了 |
[13:59] | You’re a vixen, Amy Farrah Fowler. | 你真坏 艾米·费拉·福勒 |
[14:08] | Oh, hey, Amy. What’s up? | 嘿 艾米 有事吗 |
[14:09] | Sheldon and I engaged in sexual intercourse. | 我和谢尔顿上床了 |
[14:11] | In other news, I’m thinking of starting an herb garden. | 还有 我想种个百草园 |
[14:13] | Mum’s the word. Gotta go. | 要保密哦 我走了 |
[14:21] | Oh, hey, Raj, what are you doing here? | 拉杰 你在这干嘛 |
[14:23] | I just felt like drinking alone, | 就想一个人喝喝酒 |
[14:25] | because I’m deep and dark. | 因为我深沉黑暗 |
[14:29] | So, uh, Howard’s not here? | 霍华德没来吗 |
[14:31] | No. It’s just one of those times when it’s just you and me. | 没 又是只有我和你了 |
[14:34] | Like when the three of us went to the movies, | 就像上次我们仨去看电影 |
[14:35] | and you and I waited outside the bathroom | 因为红蔓卷绳糖和樱桃可乐 |
[14:37] | while Howard threw up Red Vines and Cherry Coke. | 霍华德躲在厕所里吐 咱俩就在外面等着 |
[14:42] | Do you remember that? | 你还记得吗 |
[14:43] | Yeah. | 记得 |
[14:44] | Me, too. | 我也是 |
[14:45] | Good times. | 真是美好时光 |
[14:48] | 16 wants to order appetizers. | 16桌要点头盘 |
[14:50] | – Oh, thanks. – This was nice. | -谢谢 -刚才的时光也很美好 |
[14:57] | What the hell are you doing? | 你到底在这干嘛 |
[14:58] | Howard is your best friend, and that is his girlfriend. | 霍华德是你最好的朋友 而那是他女友 |
[15:00] | You should be ashamed of yourself. | 你真该为自己感到羞耻 |
[15:02] | I was when I came in, | 我来的时候的确是 |
[15:03] | but it’s amazing what liquor does to guilt. | 但美酒穿肠过 美人心中留 |
[15:06] | Besides what you might not know | 还有你可能不知道 |
[15:08] | is Bernadette is planning on breaking up with Howard. | 伯纳黛特正准备跟霍华德分手呢 |
[15:10] | Well, I know that. How do you know that? | 我知道 你又怎么知道的 |
[15:12] | My sister told me. | 我妹妹说的 |
[15:13] | Oh, that gossipy bitch. | 那个八卦的婊子 |
[15:17] | No offense. | 无意冒犯 |
[15:18] | None taken. | 我不介意 |
[15:19] | You should hear how she talks about you. | 你真该听听她背后怎么说你的 |
[15:23] | Okay, listen, | 好吧 听着 |
[15:24] | just because Howard and Bernadette are having problems, | 就算霍华德和贝纳黛特之间出了问题 |
[15:26] | does not mean you should be here sniffing around. | 你也不应该在这四处打探 |
[15:28] | What can I do? I can’t stop thinking about her. | 我能怎么办 我脑子里想的都是她 |
[15:32] | All right, try thinking about this– | 好吧 试着想想这个 |
[15:34] | Sheldon and Amy had sex. | 谢尔顿和艾米上床啦 |
[15:37] | Shut your ass! | 闭上你的狗嘴 |
[15:43] | Yeah, it’s true. Amy told me. | 是真的 艾米亲口跟我说的 |
[15:45] | How did that even happen? | 怎么可能发生这事呢 |
[15:46] | Did they know that’s what they were doing | 他们干的时候 |
[15:48] | when they were doing it? | 知道自己在干嘛吗 |
[15:50] | I-I guess they just figurd it out at some point. | 我猜他们应该是灵机一动 于是激情喷涌 |
[15:55] | I can’t believe old Smelly Pooper finally got laid. | 真不敢相信老处男臭耳屎终于开苞了 |
[16:03] | Hope you’re hungry. | 希望你饿了 |
[16:05] | Interesting. | 有意思 |
[16:06] | A friendly sentiment in this country, | 这个国家表示友好的方式 |
[16:09] | cruel taunt in the Sudan. | 在苏丹却是残酷的奚落 |
[16:13] | It’s a lesson in context. | 不同语境的教训啊 |
[16:16] | Will Amy be joining us for dinner? | 艾米会来跟咱们一起吃饭吗 |
[16:18] | Yes, I believe so. | 应该会来吧 |
[16:19] | Good, good. | 好 很好 |
[16:21] | Everything… okay between you two? | 你们俩 还好吧 |
[16:29] | Yes. | 当然 |
[16:32] | Why do you ask? | 你问这个干嘛 |
[16:35] | No reason. | 没事随便问问 |
[16:37] | I was just talking to Raj, | 我刚跟拉杰聊天 |
[16:38] | and he mentioned what a lovely glow she has these days. | 他觉得艾米这几天容光焕发得不得了 |
[16:44] | Did he mean as if she’d been out in the sun, | 他是说那种容光是因为照料百草园时 |
[16:46] | tending an herb garden without wearing a hat or sunblock? | 没戴帽子或擦防晒 而被太阳晒成的吗 |
[16:52] | No. | 不是 |
[16:54] | That’s not what he meant. | 他说的重点不是这个 |
[16:58] | Well, we may never know. | 那我们就不得而知了 |
[17:01] | As my mother would say, | 正如我母亲常说 |
[17:02] | the Asians are an inscrutable folk. | 亚洲人高深莫测呀 |
[17:08] | Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have work to do. | 不好意思 我还有工作要忙 |
[17:10] | Yeah, you do. | 你忙你忙 |
[17:12] | You dog, you. | 小坏蛋 装毛呀装 |
[17:20] | Did you get that? | 你听见了吗 |
[17:21] | Every word. | 一字不差 |
[17:23] | Our false gossip meme | 我们谣言八卦模因 |
[17:24] | appears to have reached node lambda. | 好像已经到达目录树中的节点表达式了 |
[17:26] | This is moving faster than we thought. | 传递得比我们想象中要快 |
[17:28] | Agreed. | 同意 |
[17:28] | It appears the rate of gossip transmission | 似乎谣言的传播速率 |
[17:30] | is proportional to the number of nodes squared. | 与节点数量的二次幂成比例 |
[17:34] | I must say, Amy, | 艾米 我不得不说 |
[17:35] | pretending to have intercourse with you | 假装跟你上床 |
[17:37] | is giving me a great deal of satisfaction. | 让我的身心得到了极大的满足 |
[17:41] | Slow down, Sheldon. I’m not quite there yet. | 慢点 谢尔顿 我还没啥感觉呢 |
[17:47] | – Pass the soy sauce. – sure | -帮我递下酱油 -好的 |
[17:50] | Bernadette just asked about my sexual encounter with you. | 贝纳黛特刚向我打听咱俩上床的事 |
[17:53] | The meme has reached full penetration. | 模因全面插入[penetration也有阴茎插入的意思] |
[17:58] | Pun intended? | 故意用的双关语吗 |
[18:01] | No. Happy accident. | 不是 无心插柳柳成荫 |
[18:05] | This is remarkable. | 这次成果显著 |
[18:07] | Took less than 24 hours. | 还不到24小时 |
[18:09] | I should let you know | 我应该告诉你 |
[18:09] | that she asked for details about our dalliance. | 她还问了咱俩调情的细节 |
[18:13] | Interesting. | 真有意思 |
[18:14] | So it went beyond the mere fact of coitus | 人们开始不满足于”上床”的字面意思 |
[18:16] | to a “blow by blow,” as it were. | 发展到要咱俩”越吹越爽”的细节了 |
[18:21] | Pun intended? | 故意用的双关语吗 |
[18:23] | I’m sorry. What pun? | 抱歉 什么双关 |
[18:27] | Not important. | 不说这个了 |
[18:29] | I described your lovemaking as “aloof, but effective.” | 我把你的做爱方式概括为”冷淡却高效” |
[18:34] | I wish you hadn’t done that. | 但愿你没有说出口 |
[18:36] | That’s going to make me a chick magnet, | 这话说得我跟一个少妇杀手一样 |
[18:38] | and I’m so busy as it is. | 而事实上 我非常忙 |
[18:42] | Hey, everybody, | 大家注意啦 |
[18:43] | I got something I want to ask Bernadette, | 我有话要问贝纳黛特 |
[18:46] | and I can’t think of a better time | 现在大伙儿齐聚一堂 |
[18:48] | than when I’m with all my friends. | 天时地利人和都最佳的时候 |
[18:50] | Oh, hold on, Howard. | 慢着 霍华德 |
[18:51] | There’s lots of better times. | 还有更多天时更好的 |
[18:54] | Leonard, please. The man is talking. | 莱纳德 拜托 他说话呢 |
[18:56] | Let him get it out, and let the chips fall where they may. | 让他说出来 别管后果如何 |
[19:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[19:04] | Bernadette Maryann Rostenkowski… | 贝纳黛特·玛丽安·罗森考斯基 |
[19:08] | Oh, God. What’s happening? | 天啊 这是什么回事 |
[19:11] | I know things haven’t been perfect with us, | 我知道我们的爱情不算完美 |
[19:13] | and we’ve had our problems, | 而且遇到了问题 |
[19:15] | but I just have to tell you, from the moment I… | 但我不得不告诉你 从我遇见你那刻 |
[19:18] | Howard, let me just stop you right here. | 霍华德 你先别说 |
[19:20] | This is it. | 好戏上场 |
[19:23] | Yes. | 我愿意 |
[19:26] | Yes, what? | 你愿意什么 |
[19:28] | Yes, I will marry you. | 我愿意嫁给你 |
[19:30] | – You will? – You will? | -你愿意? – 你愿意?! |
[19:31] | I will. | 我愿意! |
[19:34] | I will! | 我愿意! |
[19:36] | Oh, I love you so much. | 我真的很爱你 |
[19:37] | Oh, I love you, too. | 我也爱你 |
[19:38] | Congratulations! | 恭喜你们 |
[19:40] | Oh, it’s so exciting. | 这太激动人心了 |
[19:46] | I wonder what changed her mind. | 我真纳闷她为什么改变主意 |
[19:48] | Perhaps your talk of my sexual prowess | 或许是因为你对我非凡性能力的谈论 |
[19:50] | renewed her faith in love. | 重燃了她对爱情的信心 |
[19:54] | As good an explanation as any. | 没有比这更好的解释了 |
[19:56] | That’s great… | 你戴着真漂亮 |
[20:05] | Oh, hey, Amy. | 嘿 艾米 |
[20:06] | Bernadette just texted me. | 伯纳黛特刚发短信给我 |
[20:07] | Howard proposed? | 霍华德求婚了 |
[20:08] | Yes, not important. Just stopped by | 对 这个不重要 我只是路过 |
[20:10] | to let you know I’m getting orthotics. | 顺便告诉你一声 我准备做矫正术 |
[20:11] | Also, I’m carrying Sheldon’s baby. | 对了 我怀了谢尔顿的孩子 |
[20:13] | Mum’s the word. | 要保密哦 |
[20:20] | You’re pregnant?! | 你怀孕了 |
[20:25] | Wow. Is there anything on there about orthotics? | 哇哦 还有提到矫正术吗 |