时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:27] | Found a phone! | 找到一部电话 |
[00:30] | It looks like it’s from 1967, but I think it’ll work. | 看起来像六十年代的东西 但应该能用 |
[00:33] | Just a sec, Jimmy. | 稍等 吉米 |
[00:35] | Excellent. Thank you for being so careful. | 真好 谢谢你这么小心 |
[00:38] | Sir. | 先生 |
[00:39] | – We have to get in your attic. – For what? | -我们得进你的阁楼 -为什么 |
[00:41] | Oh, the hook-up. | 接线 |
[00:42] | Oh, no. That’s all right. Don’t bother. | 不 没关系的 不用了 |
[00:43] | Oh, it won’t take 20 minutes. | 不到二十分钟就能弄好 |
[00:44] | Plus, you really can’t use it if I don’t do it. | 要是不装的话 你用不了 |
[00:46] | No, it’s all right. We’re not gonna. | 不 没事 我们不会用的 |
[00:48] | Uh, when you’re done here, | 你这边弄好以后 |
[00:49] | would you get some more lamps in the garage? | 能不能在车库里多装几盏灯 |
[00:52] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[00:54] | – So, we got a phone. – Yeah. | -我们找到了一部电话 -对 |
[00:55] | The yard’s half-mowed. | 院子里的草割好了 |
[00:56] | Uh, the sockets and stuff are looking a-ok. | 插座什么的都没问题了 |
[00:59] | I’m gonna check again just to make sure. | 我再检查一遍 确认一下 |
[01:01] | We’re almost there. | 都快完成了 |
[01:02] | Good. Good. | 好 好 |
[01:03] | Um, what do you think? | 你觉得呢 |
[01:06] | On? Off? | 戴上还是摘下来 |
[01:08] | I think…off. | 摘下来吧 |
[01:11] | Yeah. You’re right. Off it is. | 你说得对 那就摘了 |
[01:14] | Chuck. | 查克 |
[01:15] | You sure this is the right play? | 你确定这么做对吗 |
[01:17] | I mean, in my experience, | 根据我的经验 |
[01:18] | the bigger the lie, the harder it can be to dig out. | 谎言越大 被发现的代价就越大 |
[01:23] | I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. | 船到桥头自然直 |
[01:29] | Hey, guys, think we’re set with the lamps. | 伙计们 灯装好了 |
[01:31] | Uh, could someone give me a hand with this phone? Gracias. | 能帮我弄一下这部电话吗 谢谢 |
[02:49] | It’s open! | 门开着呢 |
[03:00] | Rebecca. | 丽贝卡 |
[03:01] | – Chuck. – You look lovely. | -查克 -你看起来真漂亮 |
[03:03] | – Oh, it’s so good to see you. – And you. | -见到你真高兴 -我也是 |
[03:06] | Hey, what’s with the candles? | 点蜡烛干什么 |
[03:09] | Why you sittin’ here in the dark? | 你为什么不摸黑坐着 |
[03:10] | Ye, I was wondering the same thing. | 我也奇怪呢 |
[03:12] | Oh, my God, the afternoon I’ve had. | 天啊 今天这一下午啊 |
[03:15] | Two hours ago, I take the sea bass out. | 两小时前 我把鲈鱼拿出来 |
[03:17] | No sooner is it prepped and resting | 我刚把它收拾好放在那儿 |
[03:20] | than — boom! — power goes down. | 结果突然就停电了 |
[03:23] | I get on the phone to the city. | 我给市政打过电话了 |
[03:25] | To make a long story short, | 长话短说 |
[03:26] | those bozos at PNM mixed up my payment. | 那帮公共服务公司的傻瓜弄混了我的电费 |
[03:30] | The deadbeat at 512 San Cristobal | 圣克里斯托瓦尔路512号那个赖账的 |
[03:32] | hasn’t been paying his bills. | 还没交电费 |
[03:34] | And, of course, I’m… | 当然 我是… |
[03:36] | – 215. – 215, exactly. | -215号 -没错 215 |
[03:38] | They say they’ll have it on again by tomorrow. | 他们说明天之前会来电 |
[03:41] | In the meantime, I borrowed some camping gear from my neighbors. | 与此同时 我向邻居借了些野营装备 |
[03:44] | Hence, the rustic flair. | 所以才弄得这么乡野气息 |
[03:47] | – Jeez. – Oh, yeah. | -天啊 -是啊 |
[03:48] | So, what do we do? | 那我们怎么办 |
[03:49] | Uh, get out of here and go to a restaurant? | 出门下馆子吗 |
[03:51] | We could hit Seasons. Your treat. | 我们去吃四季餐厅吧 你请客 |
[03:54] | We could, yeah. | 这样也行 |
[03:56] | But, um, you know, dinner’s almost ready. | 但晚饭快做好了 |
[03:59] | And the fish — I would have just had to throw it out. | 还有鱼 不吃的话只能把它扔了 |
[04:01] | All I have to do is toss it in a pan. | 我只需要把它放进锅里就行了 |
[04:03] | How about we just rough it? | 要不我们凑合一下算了 |
[04:04] | You okay with that? | 你们同意吗 |
[04:08] | Well…why not? It’ll be fun. | 为什么不呢 会很有意思的 |
[04:11] | We’ll do an haute-cuisine camp-out. | 我们可以来一次高级料理露营 |
[04:14] | Great! Then it’s settled. Let me take that. | 太好了 那就这么定了 我帮你拿外套吧 |
[04:16] | – Take your… – Oh, yeah, here. | -脱掉外套 -好 给 |
[04:17] | – Here, I’ll take that. – Oh, thank you. | -包我拿着 -谢谢 |
[04:24] | Oh, my God. | 天啊 |
[04:25] | I can’t eat another bite. | 我一口都吃不下了 |
[04:29] | Cheers to the Galloping Gourmet. | 为美食家干杯 |
[04:33] | Yeah. | 好 |
[04:37] | The Calvados is perfect. | 苹果白兰地太好喝了 |
[04:39] | You always liked it. | 你一直都喜欢的 |
[04:41] | Here. | 来吧 |
[04:42] | Let me get this. | 我来吧 |
[04:44] | No, no, Jimmy. You don’t have to. | 不 吉米 不用麻烦你 |
[04:45] | No, least I can do is the dishes. | 不 至少让我洗碗吧 |
[04:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[04:50] | Thanks, Jimmy. | 谢谢 吉米 |
[04:55] | This turned out better than I thought. | 竟然比我预想的好 |
[04:58] | Uh, I’m so…sorry about the lights. | 停电的事我很抱歉 |
[05:01] | Oh, it’s nice. Atmospheric. | 挺好的 有气氛 |
[05:04] | I mean, I still can’t get over Jimmy being a lawyer. | 吉米当律师这件事我一直没法释怀 |
[05:08] | Neither can I. | 我也是 |
[05:10] | He’s got his own shingle out and everything. | 他能独当一面了 |
[05:12] | I mean, a real, responsible citizen. | 他能做一名真正的负责的公民 |
[05:13] | I mean, who woulda thought? | 谁能想到这一天呢 |
[05:15] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[05:21] | This place is the same. | 这地方也一样 |
[05:23] | I mean, I-I would’ve thought you’d | 我本来想到你会 |
[05:27] | change things up. | 换新家具 |
[05:29] | Move things around. | 挪动摆设 |
[05:30] | You’ve got great taste. And if it ain’t broke… | 你品味非常棒 而且也没坏… |
[05:34] | How’s the tour going? | 巡演怎么样 |
[05:35] | It’s good. Good. | 很好 很不错 |
[05:36] | Um, the Far East this fall. | 今年秋天去远东 |
[05:38] | Uh, China, South Korea, and Vietnam. | 中国 韩国 越南 |
[05:41] | – That’s gonna be exciting. – Yeah. | -那肯定很让人兴奋 -是啊 |
[05:43] | And then, um, after Santa Fe this week, | 这周去过圣达菲之后 |
[05:45] | uh, we’re back to Central Europe. | 我们回中欧 |
[05:47] | And it’s good? | 好玩吗 |
[05:48] | – Well, it’s a lot of hotels. – Yeah. | -有很多酒店 -是啊 |
[05:50] | I mean, in Budapest, I think I saw mostly | 在布达佩斯 我看到的大多是 |
[05:52] | the inside of the concert hall and the Marriott. | 歌剧厅内部和万豪酒店 |
[05:55] | But, you know, I shouldn’t complain. | 但我不该抱怨 |
[05:58] | You’re not complaining. You’re observing. | 你这不是抱怨 是在观察 |
[06:04] | Did you finally get to see Salzburg? | 你终于见到萨尔茨堡了吗 |
[06:06] | Not yet, but next month, after Vienna. | 还没 等下个月去完维也纳之后 |
[06:09] | Do you remember when we tried to go to Salzburg? | 你还记得当时我们想去萨尔茨堡吗 |
[06:12] | And that crazy old lady on the scooter… | 那个骑着小摩托车的疯老太婆 |
[06:14] | – Oh, yes! Yes! – …chased us out of the train station. | -记得 记得 -把我们撵出火车站 |
[06:16] | Yeah! | 是啊 |
[06:17] | And then, um — And then we went and got, uh, | 然后我们在因斯布吕克 |
[06:20] | it was a-a-a raspberry Linzer torte in Innsbruck? | 吃到了树莓林茨蛋糕 |
[06:23] | To make ourselves feel better? | 为了让我们心情好起来 |
[06:25] | You said, “We’ll never finish this!” | 你说”我们肯定吃不完这么多” |
[06:27] | And then we did. | 结果我们吃完了 |
[06:32] | So, what’s after Asia? Any plans for a stateside tour? | 那去过亚洲之后呢 要在国内巡演吗 |
[06:35] | Oh, you know, hopefully next year. | 希望明年能有机会 |
[06:37] | You know, maybe a residency. Oh, that would be sweet. | 也许会买个房子 那就太好了 |
[06:40] | I mean, you know, I like the buses | 我喜欢长途大巴 |
[06:41] | and trains and planes fine, but I, um… | 火车和飞机 但我… |
[06:45] | I miss having one — one place to hang my hat. | 我真怀念有家的日子 能有个地方挂帽子 |
[06:55] | Oh, God! | 天啊 |
[06:57] | I’m sorry. I-I-I hate that thing. | 抱歉 我讨厌那玩意 |
[06:59] | I feel like I’m on a leash. | 感觉自己被拴着 |
[07:04] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[07:09] | It’s my conductor. | 是我的指挥 |
[07:10] | Um, I have to take this. I’m sorry. | 这个电话我必须接 抱歉 |
[07:13] | H-hi, Andre. | 你好 安德烈 |
[07:15] | No, I’m just at dinner. What’s up? | 不 我在吃饭 怎么了 |
[07:18] | Well, I can do that at rehearsal. | 我排练时可以试试看 |
[07:19] | Yeah, no problem. Yeah. | 没问题 |
[07:22] | No, I-I know that they’re coming in late on bar 16. | 不 我知道他们在第16小节反应慢了 |
[07:25] | Y-Yeah. Got it. Got it. | 对 知道了 |
[07:27] | I will make sure that — | 我会确保… |
[07:29] | Uh, c-c-can you hold on a second? | 你能等一下吗 |
[07:31] | Let me just get a pen. | 我去拿根笔 |
[07:35] | Yeah. No, I-I… | 对 不… |
[07:38] | Yeah, hold on one second. | 对 等我一下 |
[07:40] | Yeah, I can do it — I mean, whatever you need. | 对 没问题 你说了算 |
[07:42] | Mm-hmm. Okay. | 好的 |
[07:44] | All right, shoot. | 好了 说吧 |
[07:46] | Okay… | 好 |
[07:51] | Chuck? | 查克 |
[07:52] | I’m all right. | 我没事 |
[07:53] | Well, do you want me to rehearse the cellists separately? | 你希望我把大提琴部分单独排练吗 |
[07:57] | Rebecca. Rebecca. | 丽贝卡 丽贝卡 |
[08:01] | Well, no, it’s not just him. It’s the whole section. | 不 不只是他 整个乐队都有问题 |
[08:04] | Rebecca! | 丽贝卡 |
[08:05] | Uh, no. | 不 |
[08:07] | T-That’s fine. | 没关系 |
[08:09] | Yeah. | 对 |
[08:10] | Chuck, what the hell?! | 查克 搞什么 |
[08:15] | Andre? | 安德烈 |
[08:17] | I-I-I have to — I’ll have to call you back. | 我得等会打给你了 |
[08:19] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[08:23] | What is your problem? | 你什么毛病 |
[08:27] | Say something. | 说话啊 |
[08:33] | It is incredibly bad manners | 不顾一起就餐的人 |
[08:35] | to answer a cellphone in company. | 去接电话 这样太无礼了 |
[08:38] | It’s very rude. | 太粗鲁了 |
[08:40] | Uh, I-I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[08:44] | I-I didn’t know that you felt that way. | 我不知道你会这么想 |
[08:46] | I…didn’t mean to offend you, Chuck. | 我没想冒犯你 查克 |
[08:50] | I-I may have overreacted. | 我可能反应过激了 |
[08:52] | That was very abrupt. | 我太唐突了 |
[08:53] | No. | 不 |
[08:54] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[09:00] | It’s getting late. | 不早了 |
[09:02] | Thank you for a lovely dinner, | 谢谢你的款待 |
[09:04] | but I should be getting back to the hotel. | 但我该回酒店了 |
[09:06] | Just gimme a minute, and we can — | 等我一下 我们… |
[09:08] | No. Uh, um, I’ll just get a cab. | 不 我打车就行了 |
[09:10] | – I don’t want to put you out any more. – Please, let me. | -我不想再麻烦你们了 -让我去吧 |
[09:12] | No, really. | 真不用了 |
[09:13] | A cab is the easiest. | 我打车就行 |
[09:17] | You gotta do somethin’. | 你得做点什么 |
[09:19] | Y-You can’t let her leave like this. | 你不能让她这样走掉 |
[09:21] | Just tell her what’s going on. | 告诉她是怎么回事 |
[09:22] | No. No. | 不 不 |
[09:23] | She’ll understand. | 她会理解的 |
[09:25] | She’ll — Would you rather she think you’re a raging prick | 你宁可让她觉得你是个暴躁的混蛋 |
[09:27] | than know the truth? | 也不愿说出真相吗 |
[09:29] | No. | 不 |
[09:31] | Look, if you won’t tell her, then I will. | 如果你不说 我去告诉她 |
[09:32] | No, no. No! | 不不不 |
[09:34] | You will not tell her. | 你不许告诉她 |
[09:37] | You…will not tell her. | 你不许告诉她 |
[09:41] | All right. | 好吧 |
[09:43] | Hi, Andre. Yes, I’m sorry about that. | 安德烈 真抱歉 |
[09:45] | I dropped the phone. | 我把手机弄掉了 |
[10:21] | Jesus. What’re you doing, man? | 天啊 你在搞什么 伙计 |
[10:23] | There’s barely any oxygen in that bag. | 袋子里都快没氧气了 |
[10:25] | – You’re suffocating her! – “Her”? | -你快把她闷死了 -“她” |
[10:27] | Yeah, just because you don’t see swingin’ dicks | 对 没看到漂浮着的小丁丁 |
[10:29] | doesn’t mean you can’t tell a boy fish from a girl fish. | 不代表你就分不清它的性别 |
[10:32] | Oh, yeah, see. | 明白了 |
[10:33] | Now I can see the lipstick. | 我看到它的口红了 |
[10:36] | This is a living creature. It’s not a piece of furniture. | 这是一条生命 不是一件家具 |
[10:39] | So, after this, you take her home. | 我们会面结束后 你带她回去 |
[10:41] | You put her in a big bowl, at least a gallon. | 把她放到一个大鱼缸里 至少一加仑那种 |
[10:44] | Get a good bubbler, maybe a plecostomus. | 弄个好的换气阀 再放条清道夫 |
[10:47] | And don’t feed her too much. | 别喂她太多了 |
[10:49] | People get fat. | 人会变胖 |
[10:50] | Fish, they drown in leftover food. | 鱼会淹死在吃剩的食物里 |
[10:52] | All right already, Jacques Cousteau. | 好了好了 海洋学家 |
[10:54] | Point made. | 我懂了 |
[10:56] | Good. | 那就好 |
[11:00] | I’m guessing our friend didn’t refer you to me | 我猜我们那位朋友让你来找我 |
[11:02] | to get ichthyological advice. | 不是为了养鱼建议吧 |
[11:06] | I’m looking for someone with a light touch. | 我要找个能灵活处事的人 |
[11:09] | I’m not talking some teenager taking a five-finger discount | 我说的不是那种在连锁超市 |
[11:12] | on string cheese at the Stop ‘N’ Shop. | 偷块奶酪的毛头小子 |
[11:13] | I need highly skilled, high-end, discreet. | 我需要专业 高端 严谨的人选 |
[11:18] | A real pro. | 真正的专家 |
[11:21] | You gotta fit him in a tight space? | 你会把他也放在狭小的空间里吗 |
[11:23] | I don’t think so. | 应该不会 |
[11:27] | I got just the guy, then. | 那我知道一个人 |
[11:47] | That’s why I say golfing is a contact sport. | 所以我说打高尔夫是种身体接触运动 |
[11:52] | Great job, Ms. Wexler. Very refreshing. | 干得好 韦克斯勒小姐 真是鼓舞人心 |
[11:55] | Believe me, uh, we’re happy to get this one off the docket. | 相信我 我们很高兴这案子没上庭审 |
[11:58] | Not as happy as we are. | 那也没我们高兴 |
[12:00] | Again, great job. | 干得漂亮 |
[12:01] | Thank you. Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 谢谢你 先生 |
[12:07] | Ladies, dinner’s on me. | 女士们 晚饭我请客 |
[12:11] | Kim, I knew you were good, but I didn’t know you were this good. | 金 我们知道你很棒 但不知道你这么棒 |
[12:13] | Oh, I’m glad you’re happy. | 我很高兴你们满意 |
[12:16] | We couldn’t have done it without you. | 没有你我们不可能成功 |
[12:17] | And I hope you realize | 希望你明白 |
[12:18] | this means a whole lot a work comin’ your way. | 这表示以后有好多活儿等着你呢 |
[12:20] | Oh, that’s — that’s great. | 那太棒了 |
[12:24] | Well, you don’t sound like it’s great. | 听上去可不像太棒了 |
[12:28] | I hate to be a buzzkill, | 我不想扫兴 |
[12:29] | but there is something you need to hear | 但我们进一步合作前 有件事 |
[12:30] | before we get any deeper in. | 我得告诉你们 |
[12:32] | It’s about your former attorney, Charles McGill. | 关于你们的前任律师 查尔斯·麦吉尔 |
[12:36] | What about him? | 他怎么了 |
[12:37] | Charles has been making | 查尔斯对他弟弟吉米 |
[12:38] | some very ugly allegations about his brother, Jimmy, | 提出了一些非常严重的指控 |
[12:42] | with whom I happen to share an office space. | 而我碰巧和吉米同一间办公室 |
[12:44] | Allegations? Of what? | 指控 关于什么的 |
[12:49] | Charles thinks that Jimmy | 查尔斯认为吉米 |
[12:51] | somehow took control of your documents | 趁他在家整理文件时 |
[12:52] | while he was working on them at his home. | 搞到了你们的文件 |
[12:54] | He believes Jimmy transposed the address numbers. | 他觉得吉米对数字进行了移位 |
[12:57] | Transposed the numbers? | 把数字移位 |
[12:59] | How would he even do that? | 他怎么可能做到 |
[13:02] | Charles contends that Jimmy took the documents | 查尔斯声称吉米拿走了 |
[13:05] | pertaining to the Rosella branch | 与罗塞拉分行相关的文件 |
[13:06] | and, while Charles was indisposed, | 趁自己身体欠佳时 |
[13:09] | photocopied and doctored them. | 复印并篡改了它们 |
[13:11] | That’s pretty baroque. | 这太异想天开了 |
[13:15] | The important thing here | 重要的是 |
[13:16] | is I think it could make some noise in public. | 我觉得这件事可能会引起舆论关注 |
[13:18] | Soon. | 很快 |
[13:20] | I wanted to tell you this in the spirit of full disclosure. | 我想毫无隐瞒地把这件事告诉你们 |
[13:21] | I thought it was better if you heard it from me. | 你们还是从我这知道比较好 |
[13:26] | If you have any reservations at this point | 如果你们有任何顾虑 |
[13:28] | or if you are not comfortable staying with me, | 或者对于与我合作感觉不自在 |
[13:32] | we can discuss options. | 我们可以讨论接下来怎么做 |
[13:40] | If there’s one thing I cannot abide, | 要说有什么是我不能容忍的 |
[13:42] | it’s a man who won’t own up to his mistakes. | 就是一个人不能承担自己的过错 |
[13:45] | Now, whatever mud McGill is slinging he’s not gonna | 不管麦吉尔在搞什么名堂 都不会 |
[13:48] | screw me out of the best outside counsel I’ve ever had. | 让我放弃我见过的最棒的律师 |
[13:54] | That’s… | 这… |
[13:56] | I’m so glad to hear that. | 我太高兴了 |
[13:58] | We appreciate the heads-up, | 我们很感谢你提醒我们 |
[13:59] | but you can call this baby put to bed. | 但你可以不用担心这件事了 |
[14:00] | Now the most important thing — dinner. | 说回正题 晚餐 |
[14:03] | 7:00 good for you? | 七点行吗 |
[14:04] | – Uh, works for me. – Great. | -我没问题 -好极了 |
[14:06] | We’ll talk strategy — | 我们会商量下一步战略 |
[14:07] | We move on Colorado or Utah first? | 是先在科罗拉多州还是先在犹他州 |
[14:10] | See ya at 7:00. | 七点见 |
[14:12] | This McGill thing. | 麦吉尔的事 |
[14:14] | You’re sure it’s not gonna be a problem? | 你确定没问题吗 |
[14:18] | I am. | 确定 |
[14:20] | Mesa Verde isn’t involved in any way, shape, or form. | 绝对不会牵扯到梅萨维德 |
[14:24] | Okay. Good. | 那就好 |
[14:27] | Then, I’ll see you tonight. | 那么晚上见了 |
[14:29] | Okay, great. See you then. | 好的 晚上见 |
[14:48] | Okay, this is it. | 好了 就是这样 |
[14:49] | We can run without lights and mics. | 我们可以关掉所有灯光和麦克风 |
[14:52] | We’ll collect all cellphones | 在你作证期间 |
[14:53] | and hold them for the duration of your testimony. | 将手机统一收集并保存 |
[14:55] | The, uh, court reporter, would it be possible | 可以让法庭书记官 |
[14:57] | to move him or her farther from the witness stand? | 待在离证人席远一点的地方吗 |
[14:59] | Um, yeah, I think we can arrange | 可以 我们可以 |
[15:01] | having them in the back of the court. | 把他们安排在法庭后部 |
[15:04] | I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can do about the exit signs. | 抱歉 这个出口标志的灯光只能保留 |
[15:07] | It’s code. | 这是规定 |
[15:08] | I appreciate all you’re doing. | 感谢你所做的一切 |
[15:09] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:13] | Mr. Alley, I wonder if you’d give us a moment. | 阿利先生 可以让我们单独待一会吗 |
[15:15] | I’d like to go over something with my colleague. | 我想跟我的同事商量些事情 |
[15:16] | No problem. I’ll be outside when you’re ready. | 没问题 我在外面等你们 |
[15:20] | Howard? | 霍华德 |
[15:23] | How you feeling, Chuck? | 你感觉怎么样 查克 |
[15:26] | I’ll muddle through. | 我可以应付过去的 |
[15:27] | Because this is a lot to ask. | 因为这事不容易 |
[15:29] | And if you’re not up to it — just throwing this out there — | 如果你坚持不下来 |
[15:32] | maybe you don’t need to testify at all. | 那就不如不来作证了 |
[15:34] | No, I do. | 不 我要来 |
[15:35] | I’m the only person who can adequately explain | 我是唯一一个能解释清楚 |
[15:37] | the context of that tape. | 那盘磁带是怎么回事的人 |
[15:39] | Otherwise, the defense’ll tear it to shreds. | 否则 辩方会歪曲事实的 |
[15:41] | It’s already a solid case. | 这个案子已经板上钉钉了 |
[15:43] | We have Jimmy’s statement from the Pre-Prosecution Diversion. | 我们有吉米诉前转移的陈述 |
[15:46] | There’s my testimony and the private eye’s. | 有我和私家侦探的证词 |
[15:49] | Maybe there’s no need to put you through the wringer like this. | 也许你不必亲自到这来遭这份罪 |
[15:53] | This isn’t about me or my health. | 重点不是我或者我的身体健康 |
[15:55] | This is about PR. | 重点在于公关 |
[15:58] | We lost a client. | 我们失去了一个委托人 |
[16:00] | That happened because, while you were…incapacitated, | 原因在于 你失去行动能力 |
[16:04] | your brother accessed documents | 使你弟弟获取了 |
[16:06] | that should have been secured at HHM. | 本应保存在律所的文件 |
[16:09] | What Jimmy did is unconscionable, yes… | 吉米的所作所为确实很过分 |
[16:13] | but one of my jobs is to safeguard the firm’s reputation. | 但我的工作之一是维护公司的声誉 |
[16:16] | This is not the time to worry about how we look. | 现在不是担心声誉的时候 |
[16:19] | This is about what’s right and what’s wrong. | 我们面对的是大是大非的问题 |
[16:22] | I’m not gonna risk Jimmy getting, what? | 我不想让吉米 |
[16:24] | A year’s suspension? Maybe two? | 只是被禁止执业一年 或者两年 |
[16:27] | He deserves disbarment, not some slap on the wrist. | 他应该被取消律师资格 而不是略受惩戒 |
[16:31] | No, Howard. There’s only one way forward. | 不 霍华德 只有这一条路 |
[16:36] | Let justice be done, though the heavens fall. | 纵使天塌下来 该算的账也要算 |
[16:41] | Sorry to keep you waiting. This’ll do nicely. | 抱歉久等了 安排得非常好 |
[16:44] | Please extend my thanks to the Committee for their flexibility. | 请向委员会转达我的谢意 |
[16:49] | Good morning. I’m Robert Alley for the State Bar. | 早上好 我是州律师协会的罗伯特·阿利 |
[16:53] | In the matter of James M. McGill, | 就詹姆斯·M·麦吉尔先生一案 |
[16:54] | the State Bar intends to prove the following violations | 州律师协会拟证明其违反以下 |
[16:57] | of the Ethical Code. | 道德守则 |
[16:59] | 16-102 — | 16条102款 |
[17:02] | engaging in conduct a lawyer knows is criminal. | 从事律师所知是犯罪的行为 |
[17:05] | Mr. McGill certainly knew that breaking down his brother’s door | 麦吉尔先生明知损坏其兄长家的大门 |
[17:08] | was criminal behavior. | 是犯罪行为 |
[17:10] | 16-804 — | 16条804款 |
[17:13] | committing a criminal act that reflects adversely | 作为律师 其犯罪行为 |
[17:15] | on the lawyer’s honesty or trustworthiness as a lawyer. | 对律师的诚实守信产生了不利影响 |
[17:20] | Any reasonable person would agree | 任何理性的人都会同意 |
[17:22] | that assaulting another lawyer in his own home | 在另一位律师的家中对其进行攻击 |
[17:24] | reflects badly on Mr. McGill’s fitness as an attorney. | 对麦吉尔先生的律师身份产生了恶劣影响 |
[17:29] | 16-304 — | 16条304款 |
[17:31] | unlawfully altering, destroying, | 非法修改 毁坏 |
[17:34] | or concealing material having potential evidentiary value. | 或隐藏具有潜在证据价值的材料 |
[17:38] | Mr. McGill broke into his brother’s home | 麦吉尔先生闯进其兄长家 |
[17:40] | and destroyed an audiocassette | 毁坏了一盘盒式录音磁带 |
[17:42] | which contained a recording of a conversation | 其中包含一段他和他哥哥 |
[17:44] | between himself and his brother, Charles McGill. | 查尔斯·麦吉尔 之间的对话录音 |
[17:48] | We will show that this recording was evidence | 我们将说明 这段录音 |
[17:50] | in an ongoing legal case. | 是一件进行中案件的证据 |
[17:53] | The State Bar believes that, | 州律师协会认为 |
[17:54] | once we have presented the facts, | 一旦我们呈现了事实 |
[17:56] | the Committee will agree that disbarment | 委员会将会同意 |
[17:58] | is warranted for James McGill. | 取消詹姆斯·麦吉尔的律师资格 |
[18:02] | Thank you very much. | 谢谢 |
[18:04] | Thank you, Mr. Alley. | 谢谢 阿利先生 |
[18:06] | Ms. Wexler? | 韦克斯勒女士 |
[18:13] | Thank you, Mr. Chairman. | 谢谢 主席先生 |
[18:16] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[18:17] | I’m Kim Wexler, co-counsel with James McGill, for the defense. | 我是金·韦克斯勒 詹姆斯·麦吉尔的协理辩护律师 |
[18:21] | You’ve already read Mr. McGill’s Pre-Prosecution Statement. | 各位都已经阅读了麦吉尔先生的诉前转移陈述 |
[18:24] | We don’t dispute he broke into his brother’s house, | 对于非法闯入他哥哥家里这点我们并无疑义 |
[18:27] | an act he regrets…deeply. | 而他也对此深感后悔 |
[18:32] | But there is another side to this story. | 但这个故事还有另外一面 |
[18:34] | One not about calculation | 无关算计 |
[18:37] | or ill intent, | 及居心不良 |
[18:40] | but about two brothers, | 是关于两兄弟 |
[18:43] | whose relationship, after years of strain, | 他们的关系 经过数年纠葛 |
[18:47] | finally broke. | 最终破裂 |
[18:50] | We believe that, after you have the complete picture, | 我们相信 了解事情全部真相后 |
[18:53] | you’ll understand James McGill is an asset | 各位就会明白 詹姆斯·麦吉尔 |
[18:56] | to our legal community. | 是法律界不可或缺的一员 |
[18:58] | And he should remain a full member of it in good standing. | 他应该保持协会正式成员的身份 |
[19:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[19:06] | Thank you, Ms. Wexler. | 谢谢 韦克斯勒女士 |
[19:11] | Okay, if, uh, everyone’s ready to begin testimony… | 好了 如果各位都准备好了举证… |
[19:17] | Mr. Alley, call your witness. | 阿利先生 传唤你的证人 |
[19:19] | Bang! Bang! Bang! | 砰 砰 砰 |
[19:21] | Then he kicked down the door. | 然后他就踢破了大门 |
[19:22] | Jimmy was very agitated. He was shouting. | 吉米很激动 不停地大喊大叫 |
[19:25] | He demanded Charles turn over | 他要求查尔斯 |
[19:26] | – the evidence he’d been collecting — – Objection. | -把他收集的证据交出来 -反对 |
[19:28] | We haven’t established the tape is evidence of anything. | 我们还没有证实磁带是证物 |
[19:32] | The defense has only acknowledged it as a piece of property. | 辩方只承认它是一项财产 |
[19:34] | Allow me to rephrase. | 请让我重新表述 |
[19:37] | Jimmy demanded an audiocassette in Charles’ possession, | 吉米要求查尔斯交出属于他的一盘磁带 |
[19:41] | which Jimmy proceeded, | 接着 |
[19:42] | with the help of an iron fireplace implement, | 他用一根拨火棍 |
[19:45] | to pry from Charles’ desk. | 撬开了查尔斯的书桌 |
[19:47] | He then broke the cassette into pieces | 然后 他便将磁带毁掉了 |
[19:49] | and went on to confront his brother. | 转而与他哥哥对峙 |
[19:51] | What happened after the defendant smashed this tape? | 被告毁坏磁带后发生了什么 |
[19:54] | Mr. Brightbill and I — | 布赖特比尔先生和我 |
[19:55] | That’s the private investigator that Charles hired? | 那是查尔斯雇的私家侦探吗 |
[19:58] | That’s correct. | 是的 |
[20:00] | He and I were concerned that Jimmy might strike his brother. | 我们认为吉米可能会袭击他哥哥 |
[20:04] | So that’s when we stepped in. | 所有我们介入了 |
[20:05] | – Thank you, Mr. Hamlin. – Certainly. | -谢谢 哈姆林先生 -不客气 |
[20:07] | Nothing further at this time. | 我没有问题了 |
[20:09] | Ms. Wexler? | 韦克斯勒女士 |
[20:12] | Thank you, Mr. Chairman. | 谢谢 主席先生 |
[20:22] | You testified you’ve known my client for some time. | 你说你认识我的委托人一段时间了 |
[20:26] | How long exactly? | 具体是多久 |
[20:27] | Nearly 10 years. | 快十年了 |
[20:29] | How did you come to know him? | 你是怎么认识他的 |
[20:31] | His brother asked to hire him in the mailroom at our firm. | 他哥哥让我雇他在公司收发室工作 |
[20:34] | – And you did. – Yes. | -然后你就雇了 -是的 |
[20:37] | What was your opinion of him then? | 你当时认为他是个什么样的人 |
[20:40] | I thought | 我认为 |
[20:44] | he had a lot of get-up-and-go. | 他是个很积极的人 |
[20:46] | He was a hard worker. | 工作非常努力 |
[20:47] | You had a nickname for him, didn’t you? | 你还给他取了个外号 是吗 |
[20:50] | “Charlie Hustle.” | “骗子查理” |
[20:52] | “Charlie Hustle.” | “骗子查理” |
[20:54] | How’d you feel when you found out he’d become a lawyer? | 当你发现他成了律师时感觉如何 |
[20:56] | Surprised. | 惊讶 |
[20:57] | He’d put himself through law school | 他自己从法律学校毕业 |
[20:59] | and taken the Bar exam without telling any of the partners. | 通过律师资格考试 没告诉任何合伙人 |
[21:02] | Even Charles. | 甚至是查尔斯 |
[21:03] | He bootstrapped his way into a law degree | 他在你的收发室工作 |
[21:05] | while working in your mailroom. | 还单打独斗拿了法学学位 |
[21:07] | Did you consider taking him on as an associate? | 你们有想过把他雇为律师吗 |
[21:10] | We did. | 有的 |
[21:12] | Briefly. | 有这个想法 |
[21:13] | Sounds like you didn’t hire him. Why not? | 你们似乎没有雇佣他 为什么 |
[21:16] | With that kind of grit. | 他可是那么努力 |
[21:17] | The partners decided it would be best | 合伙人觉得最好 |
[21:18] | to avoid the appearance of nepotism. | 避免裙带关系的出现 |
[21:22] | We felt hiring Jimmy might damage morale. | 我们认为雇佣吉米可能有损风纪 |
[21:26] | Nepotism. | 裙带关系 |
[21:27] | Your firm is “Hamlin, Hamlin, and McGill,” Right? | 你们是叫”哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所” 对吧 |
[21:31] | Who’s the other Hamlin? | 另一位哈姆林是谁 |
[21:35] | My father. | 我父亲 |
[21:40] | Which partner was the most concerned with nepotism? | 哪位合伙人最担心裙带关系 |
[21:45] | Charles McGill. | 查尔斯·麦吉尔 |
[21:47] | So Jimmy’s own brother blocked him. | 所以是吉米的亲兄长将他拒之门外 |
[21:49] | Objection. | 反对 |
[21:50] | How are the hiring practices of Hamlin, Hamlin, McGill | 哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所的雇佣办法 |
[21:52] | relevant here? | 跟此案有何关联 |
[21:53] | It’s relevant to understand the relationship between these brothers. | 有助于理解他们兄弟间的关系 |
[21:58] | We’ll, uh, give you some leeway, Ms. Wexler, | 你可以问 韦克斯勒女士 |
[22:01] | but don’t stray too far. | 但也别偏离太多 |
[22:03] | Charles McGill is not the subject of this hearing. | 查尔斯·麦吉尔不是本场听证会的主角 |
[22:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[22:07] | Did Jimmy know his brother was the one | 吉米知道他兄长正是 |
[22:09] | that prevented you from hiring him? | 阻止你们雇佣他的人吗 |
[22:11] | No. He did not. | 他不知道 |
[22:14] | Eventually, he was hired by the firm of Davis & Main. | 他最后进了戴维斯梅因律所 |
[22:17] | I’d be happy to say more about that, if you’d like. | 对此我倒乐意多说说 如果你想 |
[22:20] | No. Thank you. | 不 谢谢 |
[22:23] | When Charles’ condition appeared, | 查尔斯出现病症后 |
[22:26] | Jimmy took care of him, didn’t he? | 吉米在照顾他 对吗 |
[22:27] | I believe so. | 是的 |
[22:29] | Jimmy was struggling to build his solo law practice, | 吉米在想方设法建立自己的律师业务 |
[22:32] | and yet, every single day, without fail, | 不过他一直雷打不动地 |
[22:34] | he brought his brother food, supplies — | 给他兄长带食物 生活用品 |
[22:37] | even his favorite newspapers. Isn’t that right? | 甚至是他最爱的报纸 是吗 |
[22:40] | He did. | 是的 |
[22:42] | Could you speak to the terms of Charles’ leave of absence? | 你能谈谈查尔斯的休假条款吗 |
[22:46] | You know I can’t. | 你知道我不能 |
[22:47] | It was an FMLA leave. Anything more is confidential. | 是家庭和医疗假 详情都是机密 |
[22:51] | But you can confirm it was due to mental illness, correct? | 但你能确定是精神疾病 对吧 |
[22:53] | Objection! Charles McGill’s mental health isn’t at issue. | 反对 查尔斯·麦吉尔的精神健康不在讨论范畴 |
[22:57] | This is a smear job on the State Bar’s upcoming witness — | 这是对律师协会下位证人的抹黑 |
[23:00] | nothing more. | 仅此而已 |
[23:01] | This is not a competency hearing, Ms. Wexler. | 这不是资格听证会 韦克斯勒女士 |
[23:03] | Mr. Hamlin is not a psychiatric professional. | 哈姆林先生不是精神病专家 |
[23:05] | Do you have any questions that would be more germane to his experience? | 你有更多与他经历更相关的问题吗 |
[23:09] | No. | 没了 |
[23:11] | I have nothing further. | 我没有更多问题了 |
[23:14] | The witness is excused. | 请证人离席 |
[23:28] | At this time, the State Bar would like | 现在 律师协会 |
[23:29] | to enter Exhibit Five into evidence. | 想展示五号证物 |
[23:31] | We ask that Charles McGill’s recording be played. | 我们要求播放查尔斯·麦吉尔的录音 |
[23:33] | I’m respectfully renewing my objection. | 恕我重申我的反对意见 |
[23:35] | The probative value of playing this Exhibit | 播放这一证物的证明价值 |
[23:37] | is outweighed by how prejudicial it is. | 不及这一证物的有害影响 |
[23:38] | All due respect to Ms. Wexler, | 恕我直言 韦克斯勒女士 |
[23:40] | but the State Bar feels this is fundamental to hear. | 律师协会认为这对听证很重要 |
[23:42] | We don’t want to leave any question | 我们不希望留下 |
[23:43] | as to the intentions of both parties. | 对双方意图的疑问 |
[23:45] | Ms. Wexler, we already ruled this was fair game | 韦克斯勒女士 我们在驳回你的查禁动议时 |
[23:47] | when we denied your motion to suppress. | 就已经裁定这是公平的 |
[23:50] | I’ll add, the rough-and-tumble of your client’s conduct aside, | 另外 你委托人的胡作非为撇开不谈 |
[23:53] | we need to know whether one lawyer | 我们得知道一名律师 |
[23:55] | attempted to tamper with another’s evidence. | 是否尝试篡改另一名律师的证据 |
[24:11] | Come here. | 来 |
[24:13] | What are you still doing here? | 你还在这里做什么 |
[24:14] | Flight’s delayed. | 航班延误了 |
[24:15] | How delayed? | 延误了多久 |
[24:16] | 40 minutes, last I checked. | 我刚查是四十分钟 |
[24:18] | Shit. Okay. Keep me posted. | 靠 通知我进展 |
[24:24] | Yes. | 行 |
[24:25] | Here we go. | 好了 |
[24:30] | Thank you for your patience. | 谢谢你们耐心等待 |
[24:31] | The State Bar is ready to proceed. | 律师协会准备好了 |
[24:33] | Um, begging your pardon. | 抱歉 |
[24:34] | Um, the defense requests a moment to review, if we could? | 被告要求复核 行吗 |
[24:40] | All right. | 行 |
[24:41] | When you’re ready. | 等你们准备好 |
[24:43] | Thank you, Mr. Chairman. | 谢谢 主席先生 |
[24:51] | What are we doing? | 这是干什么 |
[24:54] | We’re stalling. | 我们在拖 |
[24:57] | Yes. Yes. | 没错 没错 |
[24:59] | My brother has many admirable qualities. | 我弟弟有许多令人欣赏的品质 |
[25:02] | I-In some ways, I can say I admire him. | 从某种程度上来说 我挺欣赏他 |
[25:07] | Too cold. | 太冷漠了 |
[25:10] | I love my brother. | 我爱我弟弟 |
[25:12] | But Ted Kaczynski’s brother loved him, too. | 但泰德·卡辛斯基[恐怖分子]的兄弟也爱他 |
[25:16] | And he wanted to help. | 他也想帮忙 |
[25:18] | That’s sanctimonious. | 太道貌岸然了 |
[25:21] | I love my brother. | 我爱我弟弟 |
[25:23] | He’s a good person. He has good in him. | 他是个好人 他有好的一面 |
[25:27] | But the law is too important. | 但法律太重要了 |
[25:36] | Be right there, Howard! | 马上到 霍华德 |
[25:44] | The law is too important. | 法律太重要了 |
[25:50] | I sure as shit wouldn’t be tellin’ ya otherwise. | 不然我怎么可能说出来 |
[25:53] | But, yes… it’s the truth. | 但没错 这就是真相 |
[25:58] | You’d go to such lengths to humiliate me? | 你这么大费周章就为了羞辱我吗 |
[26:01] | I did it for Kim! | 我是为了金 |
[26:03] | She worked her butt off to get Mesa Verde | 她废寝忘食拿下梅萨维德银行 |
[26:06] | while you and Howard sat around sipping scotch and chortling. | 而你和霍华德就喝喝威士忌坐享其成 |
[26:10] | Hamlin, Hamlin, McGill — | 什么哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所 |
[26:12] | more like Scrooge and Marley! | 应该叫吝啬鬼律所才对 |
[26:13] | Kim deserves Mesa Verde — | 梅萨维德银行是金的 |
[26:15] | not you, not HHM. | 不是你 也不是哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所的 |
[26:18] | She earned it, and she needs it! | 她争取来的 她需要它 |
[26:21] | I did it to help her, | 我这么做是为了帮她 |
[26:22] | but I-I honestly didn’t think it would hurt you so bad. | 但我真不知道这会给你带来那么大的伤害 |
[26:26] | I thought you’d just say, “Oh, crap, I made a mistake,” | 我以为你只会说 “靠 我犯了个错误” |
[26:29] | and go on with your life, like a normal person! | 然后继续过你的日子 这才是正常人会干的 |
[26:31] | But, oh, no! | 可你偏不 |
[26:32] | Wishful thinking! | 是我太天真 |
[26:37] | So, can I, uh, tell Howard | 所以 我能不能告诉霍华德 |
[26:39] | you’re not quitting or retiring or whatever? | 你不辞职也不退休了 |
[26:45] | And can we take all this shit down off the walls? | 还有 能不能把这些破玩意从墙上弄下来 |
[26:50] | I’m gonna go call Howard. | 我这就打电话给霍华德 |
[26:52] | Jimmy. | 吉米 |
[26:54] | You do realize you just confessed to a felony? | 你刚刚承认犯了一项重罪你知道吧 |
[26:58] | I guess. | 算是吧 |
[27:00] | But you feel better, right? | 可你觉得好多了 是吧 |
[27:04] | Besides, it’s your word against mine. | 再说了 就我们俩 空口无凭 |
[27:18] | All right, uh, Mr. Alley, uh, | 好了 阿利先生 |
[27:20] | we need to make accommodations for your next witness. | 我们得为下一位证人安排一下 |
[27:23] | Is that correct? | 对吗 |
[27:24] | – Yes, Mr. Chairman. – All right. | -是 主席先生 -行 |
[27:26] | For those who don’t know, we need to prepare the room. | 告诉大家 我们得准备一下房间 |
[27:29] | Uh, the clerk is going to collect your, uh, cellphones, | 员工会收好你们的手机 |
[27:32] | watches, key fobs — anything electrical. | 手表 密钥卡 一切电子设备 |
[27:35] | If you prefer not to, | 如果你们不想这么做 |
[27:37] | please secure your items outside this room. Thank you. | 请把东西放到房间之外保管好 谢谢 |
[27:40] | Thank you for understanding. | 谢谢你们的理解 |
[27:42] | Your phone, sir? | 你的手机 先生 |
[27:43] | I left it in the car. | 我留在车里了 |
[28:34] | – Oh. Excuse me. – Sorry. | -不好意思 -抱歉 |
[28:35] | – That’s yours. – Thanks. | -那是你的 -谢谢 |
[28:51] | Please raise your right hand. | 请举起你的右手 |
[28:53] | Do you swear or affirm to tell the truth, the whole truth, | 你发誓或确认道出事实 没有隐瞒 |
[28:56] | and nothing but the truth? | 只说事实吗 |
[28:58] | I do. | 是的 |
[29:04] | Could you state your name? | 你能说出你的姓名吗 |
[29:05] | Charles L. McGill. | 查尔斯·L·麦吉尔 |
[29:07] | I’m a senior partner at the law firm of Hamlin, Hamlin, McGill. | 我是哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所的高级合伙人 |
[29:12] | Can the court reporter hear me? | 法院书记官能听得见吗 |
[29:13] | Yes, sir. I can hear you fine. | 听得见 先生 我能听清楚 |
[29:15] | Mr. McGill, I’ll try to be brief. | 麦吉尔先生 我尽量简短一点 |
[29:17] | We don’t need to dwell on the burglary | 我们不必详述入室行窃 |
[29:19] | or the assault that you suffered. | 或是你遭受侵袭的过程 |
[29:21] | Thank you. I appreciate that. | 谢谢 我很感激 |
[29:22] | What I would like to hear about is this tape. | 我想知道关于这盘磁带的事 |
[29:25] | What compelled you to make it? | 什么迫使你录下了这盘磁带 |
[29:27] | I had a suspicion my brother had tampered with documents | 我怀疑我弟弟篡改了我当时经手的 |
[29:29] | in a case I was working on. | 一个案子的文件 |
[29:31] | And why would he do that? | 他为什么要这么做 |
[29:33] | Doesn’t sound particularly brotherly. | 听起来不怎么像兄弟所为 |
[29:35] | I believe it was his hope that the tainted documents | 我认为他希望篡改后的文件 |
[29:37] | would cause the client to become disillusioned with my representation | 会让客户打消让我为其辩护的念头 |
[29:41] | and return to their previous attorney, Ms. Wexler. | 而聘用他们之前的律师 韦克斯勒小姐 |
[29:45] | Which, I should note, is precisely what happened. | 这里我要说明一下 他们如愿以偿了 |
[29:48] | Objection. | 反对 |
[29:49] | I’m not saying Ms. Wexler knew what Jimmy was doing | 我不是说韦克斯勒小姐对吉米的行为知情 |
[29:52] | or had any involvement. | 或是参与其中 |
[29:53] | I’m only stating that it happened. | 我只是指出事实如此 |
[29:56] | Did you have any evidence | 关于你对詹姆斯的怀疑 |
[29:57] | to support your suspicions about James? | 你有证据证明吗 |
[29:59] | No. My brother, | 没有 我的弟弟 |
[30:01] | whatever else can be said of him, can be quite clever. | 抛开别的不讲 聪明过人 |
[30:04] | Did an excellent job of covering his tracks. | 将自己的行径掩盖得非常好 |
[30:06] | Objection. | 反对 |
[30:07] | The witness has admitted there’s no corroborating evidence | 证人刚承认了没有相关证据 |
[30:10] | this supposed crime even occurred. | 证明当事人犯下如上罪行 |
[30:12] | I’d like to hear what he has to say. | 我想听听他要说什么 |
[30:15] | We’re going to continue. | 请继续 |
[30:17] | Uh, we’ll extend you the same latitude on cross, Ms. Wexler. | 稍后你也可以进行盘问 韦克斯勒女士 |
[30:22] | Go on, Mr. McGill. | 继续 麦吉尔先生 |
[30:23] | Without physical evidence, | 由于没有确凿证据 |
[30:25] | I felt that a recorded confession — | 我觉得能录下他承认罪行 |
[30:26] | if I could get one — was my best bet. | 如果我能录到的话 是最好的机会 |
[30:29] | On its own, I knew the tape would be somewhat flimsy, | 我知道这盘磁带会没有那么周密 |
[30:32] | but it was a start. | 但是个开始 |
[30:33] | A foundation for a more ironclad case. | 为更为缜密的立案打下基础 |
[30:36] | I suppose that Jimmy must have felt | 我猜吉米肯定觉得 |
[30:38] | the tape was decisive evidence on its own. | 那盘磁带本身是一个有力的证据 |
[30:41] | Otherwise, he wouldn’t have broken in to destroy it. | 不然的话 他也不会闯进我家将它毁坏 |
[30:43] | Objection. More speculation. | 反对 还是任意猜测 |
[30:45] | How can he know what was going on in Jimmy’s head? | 他怎么能知道吉米脑中的想法 |
[30:46] | Sustained. We just need to hear what happened, | 反对有效 我们只需要了解事情经过 |
[30:49] | Mr. McGill. | 麦吉尔先生 |
[30:50] | I-I apologize. | 很抱歉 |
[30:52] | I recorded my brother to build a case against him. | 我给我弟弟录了音 对他进行立案 |
[30:55] | And at the time, | 在那时 |
[30:56] | would you say that you were in possession of your faculties? | 可以说你的神志是完全清醒的吗 |
[30:58] | All due respect, but — | 恕我冒昧 |
[31:00] | but you do sound somewhat unhinged on the recording. | 但你在录音中听起来有一点神经错乱 |
[31:02] | Yes, I understand that. | 是的 我能理解 |
[31:04] | But what you heard was theater. | 但你所听到的是戏剧 |
[31:06] | A performance, play-acting. | 一场表演 是我假扮的 |
[31:08] | I exaggerated the symptoms of my disease | 我夸张了我所患疾病的病征 |
[31:12] | to extract the truth. | 以获取事实真相 |
[31:13] | Can we talk about your disease for a moment? | 我们能谈论一下你的疾病吗 |
[31:16] | I’d like everybody here to be on the same page about it. | 我希望在场各位都能对其达成共识 |
[31:18] | Of course. | 当然可以 |
[31:19] | It is sometimes referred to as EHS, | 有人称之为EHS |
[31:21] | electromagnetic hypersensitivity. | 电磁过敏症 |
[31:24] | I describe it as an acute allergy to electromagnetism. | 我称之为对电磁的急性过敏 |
[31:28] | It’s not a common condition, is it? | 这并不是一个常见的病症 对吗 |
[31:30] | I know it sounds strange. I do. | 我知道这听起来很奇怪 确实如此 |
[31:33] | But 30 years ago, no one had heard of peanut allergies. | 但三十年前 没有人听说过花生过敏 |
[31:36] | But you admit that no one — | 但你承认没有人 |
[31:38] | no doctor — has ever diagnosed you. | 没有医生对你做出过诊断 |
[31:40] | AIDS was not identified properly until 1981. | 艾滋病直到1981年才被确诊 |
[31:44] | HIV wasn’t known as the cause until ’83. | 直到83年才知道艾滋病是由艾滋病病毒引起 |
[31:47] | These things take time to unravel, even for doctors. | 这些事情需要时间来解释 对医生也是如此 |
[31:51] | Would you say that your illness | 你觉得你的病情 |
[31:52] | affects your ability to think clearly? | 会影响你清晰地思考吗 |
[31:54] | No. It affects me physically. | 不会 只会对我的生理造成影响 |
[31:56] | It causes me great pain. | 会导致我产生剧烈的疼痛 |
[31:58] | However, I’m perfectly lucid. | 但我还是完全清醒的 |
[32:00] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[32:01] | Mr. McGill, I have only one more question for you. | 麦吉尔先生 我还有最后一个问题要问你 |
[32:06] | Do you hate your brother? | 你恨你的弟弟吗 |
[32:09] | Absolutely not. | 一点儿也不恨 |
[32:12] | I love my brother. | 我爱我的弟弟 |
[32:14] | There’s nothing malicious in Jimmy. | 吉米本性并不坏 |
[32:18] | He has a way of doing the worst things | 他总喜欢出于所谓高尚的理由 |
[32:20] | for reasons that sound almost noble. | 去做那些恶劣的事情 |
[32:25] | But what I know for sure is that the law | 但我心中深知 |
[32:26] | is too important to be toyed with. | 法律神圣不可亵渎 |
[32:29] | It’s mankind’s greatest achievement | 这是人类最伟大的成就 |
[32:31] | the Rule of Law, | 法治 |
[32:32] | the idea that, no matter who you are, | 法治的意义就在于 不管你是谁 |
[32:33] | your actions have consequences. | 你的行为都会产生后果 |
[32:37] | And the way my brother treats the law — | 而我弟弟对待法律的方式 |
[32:41] | it breaks my heart. | 让我心碎不已 |
[32:43] | That’s why I did what I did. | 所以我要这么做 |
[32:44] | Not to hurt him, but to protect something that I hold sacred. | 不是为了伤害他 而是保护我所尊重的东西 |
[32:48] | Thank you, Mr. McGill. | 谢谢 麦吉尔先生 |
[32:50] | The State Bar rests. | 州律师协会盘问完毕 |
[32:56] | I think we need to put on the brakes. | 我觉得我们需要暂停一下 |
[33:02] | I’m sorry. My co-counsel and I need a moment to confer. | 抱歉 我和我的合伙律师需要时间商讨 |
[33:06] | Please be brief, counselor. | 请尽快 律师 |
[33:07] | Yes, of course. | 好的 |
[33:12] | She’ll be here. | 她会来 |
[33:15] | Do you have anything for cross? | 你有想盘问他的吗 |
[33:17] | Can I look at your notes? | 我能看一下你的笔记吗 |
[33:19] | Yeah, of course. | 当然可以 |
[33:20] | Can we, um… | 我们能… |
[33:23] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[33:35] | So glad you made it. | 很高兴你能来 |
[33:40] | Mr. Chairman, I’m sorry. | 主席先生 不好意思 |
[33:43] | might I have a moment, to get a breath? | 我能去透口气吗 |
[33:46] | Oh, of course, Mr. McGill. | 当然 麦吉尔先生 |
[33:48] | Uh, folks, let’s call this 15. | 大伙 我们休庭十五分钟 |
[33:51] | Everybody, please be back and ready to go on the hour. | 大家 请准时回庭继续听审 |
[34:03] | – Rebecca. – Chuck. | -丽贝卡 -查克 |
[34:05] | It’s good to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[34:06] | I have to say, I’m a bit surprised. | 不得不说 我有点儿意外 |
[34:10] | Did Jimmy subpoena you? | 吉米传讯你了吗 |
[34:11] | You’re not on the witness list. You don’t have to testify. | 你不在证人名单上 你不必作证 |
[34:14] | No, no, no, no. I’m not here for that. | 不不不 我不是来作证的 |
[34:16] | Well, what, then? | 那是来干什么的 |
[34:18] | Chuck, I wish you’d told me. | 查克 你早告诉我多好 |
[34:21] | I-I can’t believe what you’ve been going through. | 我不敢相信你经历了什么 |
[34:25] | How long has it been? | 有多久了 |
[34:28] | You’re here to help. | 你是来帮我的 |
[34:30] | Because all this is so stressful for me. | 因为这一切对我来说压力太大了 |
[34:33] | Is that what Jimmy told you? | 吉米是这么跟你说的吗 |
[34:35] | He’s worried about you, Chuck. | 他很担心你 查克 |
[34:36] | In spite of everything that’s happened between the two of you, | 尽管你们之间发生了这么多事 |
[34:38] | he — he cares. | 他 他还是关心你的 |
[34:39] | What exactly did he say? | 他究竟说了什么 |
[34:41] | Um, well, that you had been sick. | 他说你病了 |
[34:43] | Allergic to electricity? | 对电磁过敏 |
[34:45] | He sent me pictures of the house. | 他给我看了你家的照片 |
[34:47] | Chuck, my God. | 查克 天啊 |
[34:50] | Why didn’t you tell me? | 你为什么没有告诉我 |
[34:52] | I didn’t want to upset you. | 我不想让你心烦 |
[34:54] | Worry you unnecessarily. | 让你产生顾虑 |
[34:57] | But now you’re here. | 但既然你来了 |
[34:59] | And now you know. | 你现在也知道了 |
[35:04] | I came because I thought it was the right thing. | 我来是因为我觉得应该这么做 |
[35:06] | I thought — I don’t know — that you’d want me to. | 我以为 你希望我来 |
[35:09] | But I guess that I’m more of a distraction. | 但我想我只会让你分心 |
[35:13] | So, uh… | 所以… |
[35:14] | I’m gonna be in town for a few days, | 我会在城里待上几天 |
[35:16] | and I would love to spend some time with you. | 我很想和你聚聚 |
[35:19] | But right now, I-I think I should go. | 但现在 我还是先走吧 |
[35:21] | No. No, no, please. I want you to stay. | 不不 拜托 我希望你留下来 |
[35:23] | Really? You don’t seem happy to see me. | 真的吗 你见到我好像不太开心 |
[35:25] | I am. | 我很开心 |
[35:27] | Just surprised, that’s all. | 只是有些意外 仅此而已 |
[35:30] | Please, stay. | 请你留下来 |
[35:32] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗 |
[35:33] | Yes, I’m sure. | 我确定 |
[35:35] | You’ve been sold a bill of goods, Rebecca. | 你听信了很多谗言 丽贝卡 |
[35:38] | I want you to see what’s what. | 我希望你亲眼看到事实的真相 |
[35:50] | She’s not what I expected. | 她和我想象的不一样 |
[35:53] | Oh, yeah? What’d you expect? | 是吗 你本来以为她什么样 |
[35:56] | I don’t know. Just… | 我不知道 只是… |
[35:58] | not her. | 不是这样 |
[36:04] | You know, she’s gonna hate you when this is over. | 这事完了后 她会恨你的 |
[36:08] | Yep. | 是啊 |
[36:21] | All right, uh, Mr. McGill, | 好了 麦吉尔先生 |
[36:22] | I’ll remind you you’re still under oath. | 我提醒一下 你要遵守誓言 |
[36:24] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[36:26] | At this time, | 这次 |
[36:26] | I’d like to turn cross-examination over to my co-counsel, | 我想由我的合伙律师对证人进行盘问 |
[36:29] | James McGill. | 詹姆斯·麦吉尔 |
[36:38] | Uh, well, there’s been a lot of fuss about it, | 这段期间发生了很多争论 |
[36:39] | but you and I have never really talked about this tape you made. | 但你我从未谈过你录制的这盘录音带 |
[36:43] | We lost the opportunity when you burglarized my house to destroy it. | 你闯入我家毁坏带子后 我们就没机会谈了 |
[36:47] | Fair enough. | 有道理 |
[36:48] | Um, and I was in the wrong there. | 那件事是我不对 |
[36:49] | But, still, I’d like to try and follow your story | 但我还是想听听你录制那盘带子的 |
[36:53] | of why and how you recorded it. | 原因和方法 |
[36:56] | Is this where you claim the tape is spurious? | 你想说带子是伪造的吗 |
[36:58] | That it’s not really your voice? | 其实不是你的声音吗 |
[36:59] | No. That’s me on the tape. | 不 那是我的声音 |
[37:02] | But, still, I have some questions. | 但我仍然有些疑问 |
[37:04] | Like, the recorder, | 比如那台录音机 |
[37:05] | it must’ve hurt like hell for you to touch that. | 你碰到它一定非常疼吧 |
[37:09] | There was a degree of discomfort, that’s true. | 的确有一定程度上的不舒服 |
[37:11] | And where did you hide it? | 你当时把录音机藏在哪儿 |
[37:12] | I mean, the sound’s pretty clear, | 录到的声音很清晰 |
[37:14] | so it wasn’t in the couch cushions, was it? | 所以应该不是藏在沙发垫子里吧 |
[37:16] | Tucked under a space blanket. Out of sight. | 压在太空毯底下 看不见 |
[37:20] | So there’s no chance I would see it. | 所以我肯定不会发现 |
[37:22] | Not with the state your place was in. | 以你家当时的情况来说 |
[37:23] | – Isn’t that right? – I suppose. | -对吗 -我想是吧 |
[37:25] | Would you like to set the scene for the Disciplinary Committee? | 你能否向纪律委员会描述当时的情况 |
[37:28] | Tell them, you know, what your house looked like | 告诉他们 录音时 |
[37:30] | at the time of the recording. | 你房子是什么样 |
[37:31] | Objection. Relevance? | 反对 与本案有关吗 |
[37:34] | Well, the circumstances of the recording are materially relevant. | 录音时的环境与本案有极大关系 |
[37:37] | How can you know what the tape really means | 如果不知道录音时发生的事 |
[37:39] | unless you know what was going on when it was recorded? | 又怎能知道带子的真正意义呢 |
[37:42] | Overruled. The witness can answer the question. | 反对无效 证人请回答问题 |
[37:44] | I covered most of the walls with Foil-Scrim-Kraft insulation. | 我用锡箔 麻布和牛皮纸做的绝缘层盖住大部分墙 |
[37:48] | I also hung a number of space blankets. | 我还挂上了一些太空毯 |
[37:52] | Compact Mylar sheets. | 是密实的聚酯薄膜 |
[37:54] | They insulate and protect | 它们可以帮我隔离 |
[37:55] | against mild electromagnetic radiation. | 轻度电磁辐射 |
[37:59] | All right, so, shiny insulation | 所以墙上和天花板上 |
[38:01] | and space blankets all over the walls and the ceiling. | 挂满了闪亮的隔离层和太空毯 |
[38:04] | It was like being inside of a disco ball. | 好像在舞厅的发光球灯里一样 |
[38:07] | Do you have a point? | 你到底想说什么 |
[38:10] | Well, I’m impressed | 我是惊叹 |
[38:12] | by how much work went into entrapping me. | 你为了让我落入陷阱 做了那么多工作 |
[38:15] | You went all out. | 你真是竭尽全力啊 |
[38:16] | I didn’t entrap you. | 我没有设陷阱 |
[38:18] | I provoked an admission in adverse interest. | 我只是刺激你承认了而已 |
[38:20] | That’s not the same thing. | 那不是一回事 |
[38:24] | How did you know it would work? | 你怎么知道能成功 |
[38:27] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[38:28] | How did you know your “provocation” would work? | 你怎么知道你”刺激”我能成功 |
[38:31] | Why’d you think a bunch of shiny plastic | 你为什么觉得一些发光的塑料 |
[38:33] | would make me say anything? | 能让我开口 |
[38:36] | Isn’t it because you knew that it was precisely the thing | 难道不是因为你知道 |
[38:40] | that would worry me so much | 那种东西最让我担心 |
[38:41] | that I’d say anything to talk you down? | 为了说服你 我什么话都说得出来 |
[38:43] | Objection. | 反对 |
[38:44] | Okay. Withdrawn. | 好的 撤回 |
[38:47] | Let’s — Let’s get back to your house, | 我们继续说你的房子 |
[38:50] | every surface covered in tinfoil. | 所有表面都用锡箔纸盖起来了 |
[38:52] | Nothing crazy about that, huh? | 那可一点都不疯癫 是吧 |
[38:54] | As I’ve said, I was playing up my condition. | 如我所说 我把病情夸大了 |
[39:00] | Usually, it’s a perfectly normal house. | 通常 我的房子完全正常 |
[39:01] | You think your house is normal? | 你认为你的房子很正常吗 |
[39:03] | Can I call your attention to Exhibit Nine? | 我能请您看看九号证物吗 |
[39:10] | This is your house, right? | 这是你家 对吗 |
[39:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[39:13] | So, exposed wires. | 电线外露 |
[39:18] | There’s a camp stove. | 有个便携炉 |
[39:20] | There’s a lantern on top of newspapers. | 报纸上放着一盏煤油灯 |
[39:23] | You call this normal? | 这算正常吗 |
[39:25] | I call them adaptations. | 我称之为适应 |
[39:27] | A prophylactic measure for a physical, medical condition. | 针对身体疾病做出的预防措施 |
[39:31] | Did the doctor who granted me Guardianship | 授予我监护权的那位医生 |
[39:33] | for you think this was a physical condition? | 认为这是身体疾病吗 |
[39:34] | Objection. | 反对 |
[39:36] | You can’t introduce a TEG as evidence. | 不能将其作为证据 |
[39:38] | Besides which, the panel has already ruled | 而且 陪审团已经裁决 |
[39:40] | that Mr. McGill’s mental health is not at issue. | 麦吉尔先生的心理健康不在讨论范畴 |
[39:42] | No, the State Bar opened the door to this on direct | 不 当证人谈及他”夸大”了的病情时 |
[39:45] | when the witness talked about his supposed “play-acting.” | 州律师协会就已经在谈这个问题了 |
[39:48] | Allowing me to follow up on cross is only reasonable. | 所以让我继续盘问很合理 |
[39:51] | We discussed the physical allergy, | 我们当时讨论的是身体过敏病症 |
[39:53] | not a mental disability. | 而不是精神疾病 |
[39:54] | Potato, po-tah-to. | 说法不同而已 |
[39:55] | It comes down to this — | 归根结底 |
[39:57] | In order to understand what I was thinking, | 想理解我当时的想法 |
[39:59] | you need to see Chuck through my eyes. | 你就要从我的视角看查克 |
[40:02] | You need to know if I believed that tape was evidence. | 你得知道我当时是否觉得那盘带子是证据 |
[40:06] | And I say it was evidence of only one thing — | 而我认为这盘带子只证明了一件事 |
[40:08] | My brother hates me. | 我哥哥恨我 |
[40:11] | Now, he claims that he lied to me to get me to tell the truth. | 他声称他欺骗我 是为了让我说出真相 |
[40:15] | And I’m telling you | 我告诉您 |
[40:16] | I lied to my brother to make him feel better. | 我欺骗我哥哥 是为了让他好过一些 |
[40:19] | Which of us you believe | 您相信谁的话 |
[40:21] | depends on how we all understand the mind of Charles McGill. | 取决于我们如何理解查尔斯·麦吉尔的思维方式 |
[40:27] | Well, we did promise the defense some leeway. | 我们确实答应给辩方一些自由度 |
[40:31] | You may proceed. | 你可以继续说 |
[40:32] | – Thank you, Mr. Chairman. – But watch yourself. | -谢谢 主席 -但你注意点 |
[40:42] | Chuck, I’d like to go back a little further, | 查克 我想谈谈更久之前的事 |
[40:45] | talk about when these symptoms first started. | 这些症状刚出现那时 |
[40:47] | It was shortly after you were divorced, is that right? | 是在你刚离婚后不久 对吗 |
[40:52] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:54] | You think the stress of the divorce brought on the illness? | 你觉得离婚的压力是你的病因吗 |
[40:56] | I doubt it. It was an amicable split. | 应该不是 我们当时是和平分手 |
[40:59] | My ex-wife and I are still on good terms. | 我前妻和我仍然相处愉快 |
[41:01] | In fact, your ex-wife is present with us today, is she not? | 事实上 你前妻今天也在现场 对吗 |
[41:05] | When was the last time you two saw each other? | 你们上一次见面是什么时候 |
[41:06] | Objection. This is not family court. | 反对 这里不是家事法庭 |
[41:09] | We’re not here to re-litigate the witness’ divorce. | 我们在此不是为证人的离婚重新提起诉讼 |
[41:11] | I can’t see what purpose this serves. | 我不懂问这些有什么意义 |
[41:13] | I can. | 我懂 |
[41:15] | I’ll tell you why my brother | 让我来告诉你 我弟弟为什么 |
[41:16] | brought my ex-wife to this hearing. | 邀我前妻出席这场听证会 |
[41:18] | 4,000 miles she came, lured by concern for me. | 她因为关心我 跨越六千四百公里来到这里 |
[41:24] | What Jimmy’s driving at is the last time I saw her, | 吉米想说的是 我上次见她时 |
[41:26] | I covered up my illness. | 隐瞒了我的病情 |
[41:28] | I’d been suffering from it for some time, | 当时我已经受病情折磨了一段时间 |
[41:31] | but I went to great lengths to conceal that fact from her. | 但我想尽办法对她隐瞒了事实 |
[41:36] | I’m sorry I deceived you, Rebecca. | 很抱歉我欺骗了你 丽贝卡 |
[41:41] | I didn’t want you to think less of me. | 我不希望你看轻我 |
[41:46] | Now Jimmy has outed me in front of you. | 现在吉米当着你的面 揭穿我的秘密 |
[41:48] | You know why? | 你知道为什么吗 |
[41:50] | To rattle me. | 想乱我阵脚 |
[41:52] | He knows I still have a… | 他知道我仍然对… |
[41:54] | lot of, feeling for my ex-wife. | 我的前妻还存有深厚感情 |
[41:58] | He’s hoping this will break me down. | 他想以此击垮我 |
[42:01] | Split me apart at the seams, | 在我的伤口上撒盐 |
[42:02] | like a murderer confessing on an episode of “Perry Mason.” | 就像《梅森探案集》里凶手供认那样 |
[42:07] | Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you, Jimmy. | 抱歉让你失望了 吉米 |
[42:12] | Have I answered your questions to your satisfaction? | 我的回答是否使你满意呢 |
[42:17] | Do you have anything else? | 还有其他问题吗 |
[42:21] | Yeah, I do. | 是的 我有 |
[42:23] | Earlier, you talked about other diseases. | 之前 你说还有其他疾病 |
[42:25] | Physical conditions, you said. | 像你说的身体疾病 |
[42:27] | So, okay, if you’d had, um — I don’t know — | 那么 如果你当时患有… |
[42:30] | lung cancer, would you have told Rebecca then? | 肺癌 你会告诉丽贝卡吗 |
[42:36] | If that had been the case, maybe. | 真是那样的话 也许吧 |
[42:38] | I might have. | 我也许会那么做 |
[42:39] | So how is this different? | 有什么不同吗 |
[42:40] | Mr. McGill. Move it along. | 麦吉尔先生 请跳过 |
[42:43] | You don’t have to answer that. | 你不用回答这个问题 |
[42:44] | I want to get down to brass tacks. | 我想谈论实质性问题 |
[42:45] | I want to be very, very specific here. | 我想听非常详细的细节 |
[42:47] | This illness, what does it feel like? | 得这种病 是什么感觉 |
[42:50] | You mentioned it’s painful. | 你说过它令人很痛苦 |
[42:52] | It is. | 没错 |
[42:54] | There’s a tightness in my chest, difficulty breathing, | 它使我胸闷气急 呼吸困难 |
[42:57] | and pain, burning pain. | 令我感受到万箭穿心的痛苦 |
[43:00] | The pain spreads everywhere. | 这种痛苦吞噬了我 |
[43:02] | Sounds horrible. Does it hurt right now? | 听上去很可怕 现在还痛吗 |
[43:04] | There’s always some discomfort, yes. | 没错 还是会让我感到不适 |
[43:08] | Electricity is everywhere in the modern world. | 现代社会离不开电力的使用 |
[43:11] | But I very much appreciate the indulgence of the panel | 但我很感谢今天陪审会给予我的 |
[43:14] | for their accommodation here today. | 理解和通融 |
[43:17] | I can handle this fine. | 我可以克服 |
[43:22] | Right, so, with the lights out, you don’t feel them? | 所以关了灯 你就感觉不到了 |
[43:25] | If the current’s not flowing, no. | 如果没有电流 就感觉不到 |
[43:28] | Oh. Sorry about the exit signs. | 抱歉没关安全出口灯 |
[43:29] | I guess they couldn’t kill those for you. | 我想他们不能替你关掉 |
[43:31] | Well, they’re not drawing much current, and they’re far away. | 它没有接通太多电流 并且离我很远 |
[43:34] | Intensity drops off with distance, | 按平方反比定律来说 |
[43:36] | per the inverse-square law. | 强度会随着距离增加而缩减 |
[43:38] | Okay, whoa! | 行 很强 |
[43:39] | Inverse-square — I’m not a physicist. | 平方反比… 我不是物理学家 |
[43:41] | Could you dumb that down a shade for me? | 你能不用那么学术的词语吗 |
[43:43] | The farther away it is, | 距离越远 |
[43:45] | the stronger the source needs to be to have an effect. | 就需要越强大的来源来产生效应 |
[43:48] | Got it. Got it. | 明白了 懂了 |
[43:49] | So, if I had a small battery, say, from a watch or something, | 如果我有一块小电池 比如手表的那种 |
[43:52] | and I got it close to you, close to your skin, | 然后拿着它靠近你 碰到你的皮肤 |
[43:54] | you’d know? | 你会有感觉吗 |
[43:55] | I would feel it, yes. | 是的 我会感觉到 |
[43:56] | Can you feel more current | 你现在能察觉到 |
[43:57] | coming from any particular direction right now? | 从其他方向传来的电流吗 |
[44:00] | Uh, from that back wall | 比如那堵墙后面 |
[44:01] | or, uh, from over there | 或者那边 |
[44:04] | or up through the floor? | 或者从地板上 |
[44:06] | Can you tell us where the nearest source is right now? | 你能告诉我们现在离你最近的电源在哪吗 |
[44:13] | Jimmy, do you have something in your pocket? | 吉米 你口袋里是不是有什么东西 |
[44:18] | Yes, I do, as a matter of fact. | 是的 实际上我有 |
[44:24] | My cellphone. | 是我的手机 |
[44:26] | From this distance, you should feel it, | 你应该能从这个距离察觉到 |
[44:28] | and you don’t, do you? | 但你没有 是吧 |
[44:30] | Mr. McGill, you were warned to leave your electronics outside. | 麦吉尔先生 你应该把电子设备放在外面 |
[44:34] | It’s all right. | 没关系 |
[44:36] | It’s all right. | 没关系 |
[44:38] | May I? | 我可以看看吗 |
[44:45] | Just as I thought. There’s no battery in here. | 正如我所想的那样 这里面没装电池 |
[44:48] | You removed the battery. | 你把电池拆下来了 |
[44:52] | That’s a sorry little trick, isn’t it? | 真是个遗憾的小把戏 是吧 |
[44:55] | Yeah, you got me, Chuck. Dead to rights. | 是的 被你当场发现了 查克 |
[44:58] | I removed the battery. | 我卸掉了电池 |
[45:01] | – Objection. – Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[45:02] | Y-You’ve taken all the leeway you’re getting, Mr. McGill. | 你已经问的差不多了 麦吉尔先生 |
[45:04] | Wrap it up fast. | 赶紧收尾 |
[45:07] | God, Jimmy. | 天 吉米 |
[45:09] | Don’t you know by now this is real? | 你现在还不相信这是真的吗 |
[45:11] | I feel this. | 我能感觉电流 |
[45:13] | It’s a physical response to stimuli. | 这是对外部刺激的物理反应 |
[45:15] | It’s not a quirk. | 这不是什么怪癖 |
[45:19] | What do I have to do to prove it to you? | 我到底要怎么做才能向你证明 |
[45:22] | I don’t know, Chuck. | 我不知道 查克 |
[45:24] | Could you reach into your breast pocket | 你能伸进你胸前的口袋 |
[45:26] | and tell me what’s there? | 告诉我里面有什么吗 |
[45:29] | What now? | 又是什么把戏 |
[45:38] | Can you tell the court what that was? | 你能告诉法官那是什么吗 |
[45:42] | – A battery. – Mr. Chairman — | -一块电池 -主席先生… |
[45:44] | – Please. – Do you recognize that man in back? | -拜托 -你认识后面那位先生吗 |
[45:45] | His name is Huell Babineaux. He’s on our witness list. | 他叫休·巴布诺 他是我的证人 |
[45:48] | You bumped into him in the stairway. | 你在楼梯上撞到了他 |
[45:50] | He’ll testify he planted this fully charged battery on you | 他作证在一个半小时前放了这块满电量的 |
[45:53] | over an hour and a half ago. | 电池在你身上 |
[45:55] | Hour and 43 minutes ago. | 一小时四十三分钟 |
[45:56] | An hour and 43 minutes. Thank you, Mr. Babineaux. | 一小时四十三分钟 谢谢 巴布诺先生 |
[46:00] | And you felt nothing. | 而你却毫无察觉 |
[46:02] | No, no, no. No, no. | 不不不 |
[46:02] | It’s a trick. It has to — | 这是个把戏 它必须… |
[46:03] | Enough is enough. | 适可而止吧 |
[46:04] | I submit that Mr. McGill’s mental illness is a non-issue. | 我认为麦吉尔先生的精神疾病不是问题所在 |
[46:08] | – If he were schizophrenic… – Schizo– | -即使他有精神分裂 -精神分… |
[46:08] | …it wouldn’t take away from the fact that the defendant | 也不能抹灭被告之前所… |
[46:10] | I am not crazy! | 我不是疯子 |
[46:16] | I am not crazy. | 我不是疯子 |
[46:19] | I know he swapped those numbers. | 我知道他调换了号码 |
[46:20] | I knew it was 1216. | 我知道是1216号 |
[46:23] | One after Magna Carta. | 和《大宪章》签署日一数之差 |
[46:24] | As if I could ever make such a mistake. | 我怎么可能犯这种错误 |
[46:26] | Never. Never! | 绝对不会 |
[46:28] | I just — I just couldn’t prove it. | 我就是… 就是没办法证明 |
[46:30] | H-H-He covered his tracks. | 他掩盖了自己的行踪 |
[46:32] | He got that idiot at the copy shop to lie for him. | 他还让复印店的傻蛋帮他撒谎 |
[46:34] | Mr. McGill, please. You don’t have to go in– | 麦吉尔先生 你不用… |
[46:36] | You think this is something? | 你们觉得这很大不了吗 |
[46:37] | You think this is bad, this — this chicanery? | 你们觉得这种欺诈很恶劣吗 |
[46:40] | He’s done worse. That billboard! | 他还干过更坏的事 那个广告牌 |
[46:43] | Are you telling me that a man just happens to fall like that? | 你是说那个男的就那么恰好掉下去了 |
[46:46] | No. He orchestrated it! | 不 他一手策划的 |
[46:48] | Jimmy! | 吉米 |
[46:51] | He defecated through a sunroof! | 他对着天窗拉了泡屎 |
[46:54] | And I saved him, and I shouldn’t have. | 是我拯救了他 但我后悔了 |
[46:57] | I took him into my own firm. | 我把他带进了自己的律所 |
[46:59] | What was I thinking?! | 我当时想什么呢 |
[47:01] | He’ll never change. | 他就是不肯改变 |
[47:03] | He’ll never change. | 死不悔改 |
[47:05] | Ever since he was 9, always the same. | 从他九岁开始 他就一直这副德行 |
[47:07] | Couldn’t keep his hands out of the cash drawer. | 管不住自己去动收银柜的手 |
[47:10] | But not our Jimmy. | 但咱吉米不是这种人 |
[47:12] | Couldn’t be precious Jimmy! | 不可能是咱宝贵的吉米啊 |
[47:14] | Stealing them blind. | 他就是偷窃成瘾 |
[47:17] | And he gets to be a lawyer?! | 而这种人却当了一名律师 |
[47:19] | What a sick joke! | 真是见了鬼 |
[47:21] | I should have stopped him when I had the chance! | 当年有机会的时候我就该阻拦他 |
[47:24] | And you — you have to stop him! | 你们得阻拦他 |
[47:26] | You — | 你们… |
[47:49] | I apologize. | 我道歉 |
[47:53] | I lost my train of thought. | 我没能稳定自己的情绪 |
[47:59] | I got carried away. | 失去了理智 |
[48:06] | Do you have anything else? | 还有其他问题吗 |
[48:11] | No. Nothing further. | 没 我问完了 |