英文名称:Let Them All Talk
年代:2020
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:20] | Oh, God, there must be a better way. | 天呐 一定还有更好的方法 |
[00:22] | There must be a better way to describe things, | 一定还有更好的方式来描述事物 |
[00:26] | to arrange words in a new way, to use words, | 一种遣词造句的新方法 |
[00:30] | to take you to a place beyond words. | 用文字 打造超越文字的境界 |
[00:34] | There must be. | 一定还有 |
[00:35] | I’m so glad that we could finally sit down together. | 真高兴我们终于见面了 |
[00:38] | I know we haven’t had a chance to do that since Sonia retired. | 我知道 索尼娅退休后我们一直没机会见面 |
[00:42] | I know that she is… She is very sad to go. | 我知道她…她离开时很难过 |
[00:46] | – Understandably, but… – It’s just such a shame. | -有情可原 不过… -真是可惜 |
[00:50] | Retiring at, what, 70? Why? | 在将近七十岁时退休 何苦呢 |
[00:53] | – Well– – It doesn’t make any sense to me. | -这个… -我是没法理解 |
[00:57] | Well, I know that… That her husband obviously hasn’t been– | 我知道她丈夫一直以来都… |
[01:00] | The husband is ill. | 她丈夫病了 |
[01:02] | The children are needy. The children are 40. | 她的孩子经济状况很差 她的孩子都四十来岁了 |
[01:06] | But are more needy than ever. So that’s confusing. | 却比以往更需要支持 真搞不懂 |
[01:11] | And how long have you been at the agency? | 你在出版社工作了多久 |
[01:14] | I know we’ve spoken on the phone… | 我知道我们在电话里聊过 |
[01:17] | for a couple of years. | 聊了好几年 |
[01:20] | Well, I’ve been… | 我在… |
[01:22] | I think it’s been eight years I’ve been at the agency now, | 我大概已经在出版社工作了八年了 |
[01:26] | and I’ve been assisting Sonia for the last seven. | 过去七年我一直是索尼娅的助理 |
[01:29] | So, actually, I know it may seem that I’m new, but I’ve been… | 我知道这可能显得我是个新手 不过我… |
[01:33] | – Gosh. – …working on your account and working on your sales, | -老天 -一直在为你工作 操心你的销量 |
[01:37] | and I should say that there is a lot of excitement at the agency | 我必须得说 出版社的人都对你的新手稿 |
[01:42] | regarding your new manuscript, | 表现出了极大的兴趣 |
[01:45] | and without wanting to pry too much, | 我不想打探 |
[01:47] | is there anything you might be able to… | 不过你有没有什么 |
[01:49] | – to share with us? – Not really. Not at this point, no. | -想和我们说的 -没有 目前没有 |
[01:54] | I’m sorry to be so blunt, but… | 抱歉 我就直说了 |
[01:58] | Sonia never invaded my process in any way, | 索尼娅从没干涉过我写作的过程 |
[02:02] | and she always gave me free rein. | 她一直以来都让我自由发挥 |
[02:04] | She gave me the dignity | 她尊重我 |
[02:06] | and the respect of complete autonomy. | 给了我完全自主权 |
[02:14] | – Everyone’s very excited. Um… – Great. | -大家都很激动 -好 |
[02:18] | What do you like about my writing? | 你喜欢我作品的什么方面 |
[02:20] | I mean, what pulls you to the material? | 是什么吸引了你 |
[02:24] | Well, um… | 这个… |
[02:27] | I have to say, I… | 我得说 我… |
[02:29] | The first book of yours that I read was You Always, You Never. | 我读过的你的第一部作品是《你总是 你从未》 |
[02:34] | – And I was– – Did you ever read A Function of the Body? | -我… -你读过《身体的功能》吗 |
[02:39] | Was that one of the ones that you liked? | 你喜欢这本书吗 |
[02:42] | That was a much, much better book… Quite frankly. | 老实说 那本书要好得多 |
[02:47] | You Always, You Never, yes, it has a residual impact. | 《你总是 你从未》的确有持续的影响力 |
[02:51] | Uh, it won the Pulitzer, but it’s… | 它得了普利策奖 但这奖… |
[02:54] | It’s a completely different thing than the Footling Prize. | 这奖和福特灵奖可没法比 |
[02:59] | Oh, yes, I meant to bring that up, actually. They are… | 当然 我正想说呢 他们 |
[03:02] | They are asking for an answer. They’re… they’re… | 他们在等你的回复 他们 |
[03:06] | Obviously, they’re hoping that you’ll be able to make it, and… | 当然 他们希望你能去 |
[03:09] | Do you realize that they don’t give | 你知道福特灵小说奖 |
[03:11] | the Footling Prize in fiction every year? | 不是每年都颁发吗 |
[03:14] | It’s something that other writers confer on writers. | 这是一群作家给予作家的奖项 |
[03:19] | – Well– – I’m so proud, but I just, uh… | -这… -我很自豪 但我… |
[03:25] | I can’t attend. I can’t attend. | 我没法去参加 我去不了 |
[03:29] | It’s killing me. | 我也很难过 |
[03:32] | But… | 但是… |
[03:35] | I can’t fly, you see, so… | 其实 我不能坐飞机 所以… |
[03:38] | – I can’t fly. – Do– | -我坐不了飞机 -你 |
[03:41] | – And along with the other things– – Would you consider… | -还有其他那些… -你可以接受… |
[03:45] | I mean, there may be a way for you | 也许有法子能让你 |
[03:47] | to get to the UK without having to fly. | 不用坐飞机去英国 |
[03:49] | I mean, there’s a crossing. | 有横渡大西洋的航线 |
[03:51] | There’s a ship, the Queen Mary 2, | 有艘船叫玛丽皇后二号 |
[03:54] | that goes from New York to Southampton. | 它在纽约和南安普敦间往返 |
[03:55] | I happen to know the director of the Cunard Line. | 我正好认识冠达邮轮的主管 |
[03:58] | And… you know, they have regular crossings between– | 他们有定期航线 |
[04:01] | Transatlantic crossings, and I’m sure… | 跨越大西洋的航线 我相信 |
[04:05] | I’m sure if I spoke to him, | 我相信如果我找他说说 |
[04:06] | they’d be willing to to give you a state room | 他们很乐意给你提供一间特等舱 |
[04:09] | and whatever you needed. I mean, in exchange for… | 满足你的要求 以换取… |
[04:13] | Perhaps if you did a little talk on the boat, then… | 也许你可以在船上做个小演讲 |
[04:16] | – Oh, well, I don’t think… – Then something could be arranged. | -我不觉得… -这样一来一切都好安排 |
[04:20] | Just hear me out. I think… | 听我说完 我觉得 |
[04:23] | Yes, I think that might be the solution | 我觉得这个方法也许可以 |
[04:26] | to be able to get you there, | 让你去英国 |
[04:27] | because, obviously, this prize | 显然 这个奖项 |
[04:28] | means so much to you, as it should, | 对你意义重大 这是理所当然 |
[04:31] | and I know that they’d be thrilled if you were able to make it. | 如果你能亲自去领奖 他们肯定会很开心 |
[04:34] | And it really is a lovely way to travel. It’s a beautiful ship. | 而且坐船旅行很惬意 那艘船很不错 |
[04:39] | Could I bring guests? | 我能带人同行吗 |
[04:41] | – Yes, of course. – How many? | -当然 -能带几位 |
[04:46] | And my main feeling is just feeling like | 我主要是感觉 |
[04:48] | I’m a burden on you, and… | 我拖累了你 |
[04:50] | Just, like, shoving myself in here when, you know… | 非要过来挤在这里 尤其是… |
[04:53] | And I appreciate it. Mika appreciates it. | 我很感激 米卡也很感激 |
[04:55] | You know, I invited you– May I just remind you? | 是我邀请你来的 还记得吗 |
[05:00] | I invited you. I’m your mom. I’m your family. | 我邀请了你 我是你妈妈 你的家人 |
[05:04] | What’s that for if not to… | 家人不就是这样吗 |
[05:10] | I still don’t understand it. | 我还是不懂 |
[05:13] | What… How could… You did this company together. | 怎么…这公司是你们合伙办的 |
[05:17] | And I don’t understand how he… | 我搞不懂他怎么能… |
[05:20] | I think he thinks that I– | 我想他认为我… |
[05:21] | cut you out. Why he would do that? | 把你踢出来 他为什么要这样 |
[05:24] | He used the program that I had developed or I… | 他用的是我开发的程序 或者说… |
[05:27] | It was my idea. He actually did the… He was the engineer on it. | 反正是我的主意 但他…他是工程师 |
[05:31] | I don’t know, honey. I really don’t know. | 我不懂 宝贝 我真的不懂 |
[05:33] | I’m clueless, actually, | 可以说是一头雾水 |
[05:35] | about what you’re going through with this. | 无法想象你所经历的一切 |
[05:37] | That a friend should do this to you is kind of outrageous. | 你的朋友居然会这样对你 太过分了 |
[05:42] | – It’s shock… It’s… – It makes me feel violent. | -的确令人震惊 -让我很想打人 |
[05:45] | – Mom. – It does. Easily. | -妈 -真的 很想 |
[05:50] | Don’t let that motherfucker near me. | 别让那个人渣出现在我面前 |
[05:53] | Why wouldn’t you go on this trip? I mean, it sounds fascinating. | 你为什么不想去旅行 听起来很有趣 |
[05:57] | Well, Cheryl needs more prep time before her parole hearing. | 谢丽尔还要再准备一下假释听证会 |
[06:01] | Mom, the hearing is six months from now. | 妈 离听证会还有半年呢 |
[06:05] | – Roberta’s going, right? – Yes, Roberta’s definitely going. | -罗伯塔也去 对吗 -没错 罗伯塔肯定会去 |
[06:10] | And you haven’t heard from Alice since Dad died. | 自从爸去世后 你就没和爱丽丝联系过 |
[06:14] | And when did you last see her and Roberta? | 你上次见她们俩是什么时候 |
[06:18] | I don’t think we’ve seen each other since… | 我们三个自从… |
[06:22] | Since we all got together in San Francisco. | 自从旧金山那次后就没再见了 |
[06:24] | That was, like, when was that? | 那都是多久前的事了 |
[06:27] | That was…that was over 30 years ago. | 大概 大概三十年前吧 |
[06:33] | Well, you got to go. | 那你一定要去 |
[06:37] | You have… I think you have to go, | 你必须 我觉得你必须去 |
[06:38] | just to find out why she’s reaching out. | 看看她为什么联系你 |
[06:41] | And why you two? Why now? | 为什么联系你们两个 为什么是现在 |
[06:46] | – How are you? – Fine. | -你好吗 -很好 |
[06:48] | So I am very frustrated right now. | 我现在很失望 |
[06:51] | – Oh, dear. – I know. | -天呐 -是啊 |
[06:54] | I called ahead… Are you Carol? | 我提前打过电话 你是卡罗尔吗 |
[06:55] | No, I am Roberta, as you can see… | 不 我是罗伯塔 你也能看到 |
[06:58] | – I do see it now. – If you have eyeballs. | -我看到了 -只要你长了眼睛 |
[06:59] | I do. Okay, I called ahead and spoke to someone named Carol. | 当然 我提前打过电话 和卡罗尔说过 |
[07:03] | Perhaps was your manager, I don’t know. | 也许她是你上司 我也不知道 |
[07:05] | And I don’t want to get you in trouble. | 我不想给你惹麻烦 |
[07:07] | But she did tell me that you have | 但她给我说你们店里 |
[07:09] | a peacock blue panty and bra set. | 有孔雀蓝的内衣套装 |
[07:14] | And that is what I’m here for, and all I am seeing is teal. | 我来就是为了它 可我只看到了蓝绿色的 |
[07:19] | – So… – Can I just point out | -所以 -我能说一下吗 |
[07:22] | that the difference between teal | 蓝绿色和孔雀蓝之间的区别 |
[07:24] | and peacock is as fine as a hair. | 真的微乎其微 |
[07:28] | Maybe to you. | 可能在你眼中是这样 |
[07:29] | I have a highly developed sense of color. I’m a designer. | 我对色彩更敏感 我是个设计师 |
[07:32] | There’s too much yellow in this. Now, let me help you understand. | 这个颜色过于黄了 让我给你解释一下吧 |
[07:41] | Clovis, remember, I am leaving today for two weeks, | 克洛维斯 别忘了 从今天起我要休假两周 |
[07:45] | and I’ll be back on the 16th, okay? | 我16号才回来 好吗 |
[07:47] | – Wait, you’re going away? – Yeah. | -等等 你要休假 -对 |
[07:50] | I told you all this in the email about three weeks ago. | 我大概三周前就给你发过邮件了 |
[07:53] | – I gave you the whole itinerary. – I didn’t get your email. | -整个行程单都发你了 -我没收到你的邮件 |
[07:57] | – I think you did. – I didn’t get an email from you. | -我觉得你收到了 -我没收到你发的邮件 |
[07:59] | – Because I sent it. – Okay, can you get someone to cover you? | -因为我的确发了 -好吧 你能找人代你班吗 |
[08:02] | – ‘Cause I have you five days next week. – No, but I think you can. | -我下周给你排了五天班 -不行 但你可以 |
[08:06] | Because that’s your job as manager. Bye-bye. | 这可是你做经理的本职啊 再见 |
[08:15] | Who are the other two people she invited? | 她邀请的另外两个人是谁 |
[08:19] | They’re her… like, her two oldest friends from college. | 是她…是她大学时的两个老朋友 |
[08:22] | – Really? – Yeah, so they’ve been friends for like 50 years. | -是吗 -对 她们做了五十年朋友了 |
[08:25] | – Jesus. – Just been chillin’. | -天呐 -一直有联系 |
[08:28] | Or I guess they haven’t seen each other in a while, I’m not sure. | 或者她们可能有段时间没见了 我也不确定 |
[08:30] | I don’t know, for our generation, | 对我们这代人而言 我不知道 |
[08:32] | what friendship will look like over a long period of time. | 我们的友谊经过岁月打磨后会变成什么样 |
[08:35] | At least, I’ve only had friends for four years at a time, | 反正 我只有过四年的朋友 |
[08:37] | and these women have been friends for 50 years, so– | 而她们已经做了五十年朋友了 |
[08:40] | Just trying to, maybe study them and learn. | 我想研究一下她们的友情 学点东西 |
[08:42] | Maybe I can learn something from it, you know? | 也许能学到点什么 |
[08:46] | And, what, she’s, like, a TV person? | 她是个演员吗 |
[08:48] | No, she’s a writer. She’s… An author. | 不 她写东西 她是个作家 |
[08:52] | – Do you not know this? – You didn’t tell us anything about this. | -你不知道吗 -你没告诉过我们她的事 |
[08:54] | What do you mean? You don’t know who my aunt is? You don’t? | 什么 你们不知道我姑姑是谁吗 真的吗 |
[08:58] | Alice Hughes, You Always, You Never. | 爱丽丝·休斯 《你总是 你从未》的作者 |
[09:02] | It won the Pulitzer Prize. | 这书得了普利策奖 |
[09:03] | It’s been turned into a movie and a miniseries | 还被改编成了电影和迷你剧 |
[09:05] | in the last, I don’t know, 15, 20 years or something. | 就在过去大概15到20年间吧 |
[09:09] | – You haven’t seen it? – This was years ago? Or this was recent? | -你们没看过吗 -是很久以前 还是最近改编的 |
[09:14] | I’m really surprised. It’s, like… Well, you should read it. | 我震惊了 你们应该看看 |
[09:17] | It’s an unbelievable book and a great movie. | 那本书很不错 电影也很棒 |
[09:19] | Can you not go? Why would you go? | 你能不能别去 为什么要去 |
[09:22] | – Yeah. – Aw, thanks. | -是啊 -谢谢 |
[09:24] | No, it’s not a “thanks” moment. | 不 这不是该说”谢谢”的时候 |
[09:26] | I felt so much love from you in that moment, | 我就是突然感受到了你们的爱 |
[09:28] | so I had to say thanks. | 我必须说谢谢 |
[09:30] | No, I got to go. I got to go do, um… | 我必须去 我得去 |
[09:33] | I just got to go do my thing, you know? | 我得去做我该做的 |
[09:36] | Take care of these lovely old women. | 照顾好那些中年妇女 |
[09:39] | She desperately wants to accept the Footling Prize, | 她非常想亲自去领福特灵奖 |
[09:41] | but she can’t fly, | 但她不能坐飞机 |
[09:42] | so I’ve booked her on the Queen Mary 2 | 所以我给她 还有她的朋友和她侄子 |
[09:44] | with her two friends and her nephew. | 订了玛丽皇后二号的票 |
[09:45] | I’m not… She gets on the boat, she takes the boat, | 我不…她坐船 坐船过去 |
[09:49] | and then you take the boat, too, for what purpose, exactly? | 你也坐船 目的是什么 |
[09:54] | For years, she’s been hinting to Sonia | 过去几年来 她一直暗示索尼娅 |
[09:57] | she’s revisiting one of her characters. | 说她会重新刻画一个人物 |
[09:59] | And we’re hoping it’s Rowena from You Always, You Never. | 我们希望她是说《你总是 你从未》中的罗伊娜 |
[10:02] | Then again, whenever anyone mentions | 然而 每每有人提到 |
[10:04] | You Always, You Never, she slags it off. | 《你总是 你从未》 她都很生气 |
[10:05] | If she hated that book so much, | 要是她这么讨厌这书 |
[10:06] | why’d she put it out in the first place? | 一开始何必出版呢 |
[10:07] | It was a long time ago, so I can understand that she… | 那是很久以前了 我能理解她… |
[10:09] | Know what we’re gonna get? | 你知道我们能拿到什么吗 |
[10:10] | Our luck, we’re gonna get a sequel to A Function of the Body. | 运气好的话 能拿到《身体的功能》的续作 |
[10:13] | Well, she did mention she considers | 她的确说过她觉得 |
[10:14] | – that to be a much better book. – Oh, my God. | -这本书更好 -我的老天 |
[10:16] | Of course she did. Here’s a thought. | 她当然这么想 要不这样 |
[10:18] | How about a sequel to You Always, You Never, | 不如给《你总是 你从未》写续作 |
[10:20] | and maybe make it better than the original? | 让续作超越原著 |
[10:22] | How’s that for a bold idea? | 这主意够大胆吧 |
[10:24] | I completely agree, | 我完全同意 |
[10:25] | which is why I think I need to be on that ship. | 所以我认为我有必要上船 |
[10:27] | It’s a big ask. It’s not just the cost of the trip. | 这要求很过分 不仅是开销问题 |
[10:29] | You’ll be out of office. | 你还不能来上班 |
[10:31] | – I don’t see that there’s any other way. – All right. | -我觉得这是唯一的办法 -好吧 |
[10:34] | But if this doesn’t work out, you’re gonna wear it. | 但如果这事没成 你得承担后果 |
[10:40] | All right. | 好吧 |
[12:51] | 玛丽皇后二号 汉密尔顿 | |
[13:48] | I feel useful. I feel useful. Yeah. | 我感觉自己有价值 有价值 |
[13:51] | – It’s a wonderful feeling. – That’s a good feeling. | -这感觉很棒 -的确很棒 |
[13:54] | Sometimes it’s a heartbreaking thing | 有时会很让人伤心 |
[13:55] | ’cause, you know, they won’t get parole. | 因为 他们可能不能假释 |
[13:57] | You’ve been preparing, and the parole board just… | 你准备了那么多 而假释委员会却… |
[13:59] | Yes, yes. | 是啊 没错 |
[14:02] | – Anyway, anyway… – You’re fighting the good fight. | -总之… -你在为正义而战 |
[14:06] | I don’t know. I’m trying. I’m trying. | 我不确定 我在努力 还在努力 |
[14:08] | The main thing is the connection with the women… | 关键是和女性的联结 |
[14:13] | – Is just such a gift. – It’s everything. | -这真是一份馈赠 -这就是一切 |
[14:15] | It’s a gift. | 这是馈赠 |
[14:16] | What about you, Bert? What have you been up to? | 你呢 伯塔 你最近在忙什么 |
[14:20] | Oh, well… Not much, really, not much. | 我嘛 也没什么 真没什么 |
[14:25] | I don’t advocate for anybody except… | 我不为任何人辩护 除了… |
[14:27] | I advocate for women’s brassieres, basically. Just… | 我为女性的胸罩辩护 算是吧 就… |
[14:32] | – For what, hon? – I sell lingerie. | -为什么 亲爱的 -我卖女士内衣 |
[14:35] | You what, honey? You are in what? | 什么 亲爱的 你做什么 |
[14:38] | I sell lingerie. | 我卖女士内衣 |
[14:40] | Tyler, you brought the books. I’ve brought you books. | 泰勒 你把书带来了 我给你们带了书 |
[14:43] | – Oh, how wonderful. – So that I hope… | -太好了 -我希望… |
[14:45] | I hope you’ll look at the Realm of the Owl, | 希望你们能看看《猫头鹰王国》 |
[14:48] | which is her seminal work. | 是她的开创性作品 |
[14:50] | 猫头鹰王国 布洛德温·普格 | |
[14:50] | She didn’t write very much, | 她不太常写作 |
[14:52] | but the work that she did write is… Groundbreaking, | 但她写出来的那些 都非常有开创性 |
[14:59] | and I think it’s important that we all somehow… | 我觉得重要的是我们能…就是… |
[15:03] | share the work before we go | 先分享她的作品 |
[15:06] | and stand at her… at her grave. | 再去站在她的…她的墓前 |
[15:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:13] | So… speaking of writing, I’m just… | 说到写作 我… |
[15:16] | I’m just not going to be available. | 我接下来可能没空了 |
[15:19] | I’ve got a draft of a novel I’m trying to finish. | 我还有个小说要完成 |
[15:22] | I have, uh… | 我还要准备… |
[15:25] | This address that’s… | 一个致辞 就是… |
[15:27] | You know, they don’t give this prize every year. | 你们懂的 这个奖不会每年都颁 |
[15:30] | – But we’ll have supper together and– – Good. Yes. | -但我们会一起吃晚餐… -好 好的 |
[15:34] | You can tell me all the things that I’m missing out on. | 你们可以给我讲讲我错过的那些事 |
[15:39] | Here’s to picking up the conversation where we left off. | 敬重拾我们聊到一半的谈话 |
[15:43] | You know? And here’s to, maybe, | 是吧 也敬… |
[15:47] | reconnecting the gang of three we used to be. | 敬我们三人组重拾联系 |
[15:53] | – Cheers. – Cheers. | -干杯 -干杯 |
[15:56] | Yeah, thank you. Have a good one. | 谢谢 祝你今晚愉快 |
[15:58] | – Good night. – Thank you. Good night. | -晚安 -谢谢 晚安 |
[16:03] | Hey, Bert, want to go have a drink later? | 伯塔 一会要去喝一杯吗 |
[16:06] | No, I can’t. | 不 不行 |
[16:32] | Hey, don’t freak out. This is Karen, Alice’s agent. | 你好 别慌 我是凯伦 爱丽丝的经纪人 |
[16:35] | I’m actually on this ship. | 我其实也在船上 |
[16:37] | Can you meet me in the Verandah bar in 15 minutes? | 你15分钟后能来露台酒吧见我吗 |
[16:40] | What? | 什么 |
[16:44] | – Karen? – Yeah, hi. | -凯伦吗 -你好 |
[16:46] | – Tyler. – Nice to meet you. | -我是泰勒 -很高兴认识你 |
[16:47] | Yeah, nice to meet you, too. | 彼此彼此 |
[16:49] | Heard so much about you from Alice. | 我经常听爱丽丝提起你 |
[16:51] | – Really? – Yeah. | -是吗 -对 |
[16:53] | – Cool. – Would you like a drink? | -挺好 -你要喝一杯吗 |
[16:56] | – Sure, yeah. What’d you have? – Vodka soda. | -当然 你喝的什么 -伏特加苏打水 |
[17:00] | Okay, so can I have a Margarita? | 好吧 能给我来一杯玛格丽特吗 |
[17:05] | – Can you do margarita? – Yeah, sure. | -你会调玛格丽特吗 -当然 |
[17:06] | Oh, it’s amazing. I’m a guest of a friend who’s speaking, | 可棒了 我受一个要致辞的朋友的邀请 |
[17:11] | so I’m very lucky to get to be on this ship. | 所以我还挺幸运的 能上这艘船 |
[17:16] | I wouldn’t have been able to otherwise, and it’s magnificent. | 我自己肯定负担不起 真的太棒了 |
[17:19] | Yeah. You know, I was only in the pub. They have a pub on here. | 是啊 话说我之前在酒吧 他们这船上有个酒吧 |
[17:23] | I was in the pub, and I actually… I actually managed to sell… | 我之前在酒吧里 我…我居然卖出了东西 |
[17:27] | You’re not supposed to do it, but I actually managed to sell | 当然不该这样 可我居然真卖出去了 |
[17:31] | a big quantity of my shoelaces to a guy in the pub. | 一大批鞋带 卖给了酒吧里的一个人 |
[17:35] | – Yeah, yeah. – Turned a profit on the ship. | -真的 -在这船上还赚钱了 |
[17:39] | I have already, yeah. I’ve done that. I know. | 我真的这么干了 我懂 |
[17:43] | We’re turning over a lot of money in it. | 我们靠这个盈利了不少 |
[17:46] | How much money would that be? | 那得是多少钱 |
[17:49] | – Do you want to know? – Yeah. | -你想知道吗 -对 |
[17:51] | – I’ve just met you. I mean… – I want to know. | -我才刚认识你… -我想知道 |
[17:54] | Let me start at the beginning. | 我从头说起吧 |
[17:56] | Alice has a manuscript that’s due really soon, | 爱丽丝有份手稿很快就到截稿期了 |
[18:00] | and everyone at the agency is getting a bit nervous | 出版社的所有人都有点紧张 |
[18:03] | and wondering whether it’s gonna be finished on time, | 不知道她能不能按时完成 |
[18:05] | whether it’s gonna be a sequel to You Always, You Never, and… | 会不会是《你总是 你从未》的续作 |
[18:08] | The problem is nobody there has seen a manuscript. | 问题是没人看过那份手稿 |
[18:12] | I mean, I haven’t seen a manuscript. Have you seen a manuscript? | 反正我是没看过 你看过吗 |
[18:16] | No, I have not seen a manuscript. | 没 我没看过 |
[18:19] | Okay, the thing is… | 好吧 是这样 |
[18:22] | I was meant to get some answers the other day, | 我那天本来想问出点答案的 |
[18:25] | and I didn’t get any answers, and | 可我没得到任何答案 |
[18:28] | if I don’t get any information soon… | 要是我不能尽快得到点消息… |
[18:33] | I’m gonna be in deep shit. | 我就有大麻烦了 |
[18:35] | So this is… this is really important. | 所以…这真的很重要 |
[18:37] | And I’d really appreciate it if you could help me out. | 如果你能帮帮我 我会感激不尽的 |
[18:42] | I need… It’s a really delicate situation, and… | 我需要…现在情况很微妙… |
[18:45] | You know, I don’t want to approach her at the wrong time, | 我不希望在不合适的时候去找她 |
[18:48] | and I can’t really get close enough | 我跟她的关系也不够亲近 |
[18:49] | to see what her frame of mind is. | 无法揣摩她的心情 |
[18:51] | And I thought maybe you could maybe give me a heads-up as to… | 我想着也许你能帮我通通气 比如… |
[18:57] | how she is, whether she’s okay, | 她情况如何 是否还好 |
[19:00] | how’s she’s feeling and, and then… | 她感觉怎么样 然后… |
[19:03] | – Right. – Yeah. | -明白 -嗯 |
[19:11] | 猫头鹰王国 布洛德温·普格 | |
[19:29] | Today won’t be any different than any other day. | 今天还是老样子 |
[19:32] | – Okay. – And that will be… | -好的 -那就是… |
[19:33] | I’m going to start work on my manuscript | 我要先去写稿 |
[19:36] | and then I’m going to swim at 3:00. | 然后三点去游泳 |
[19:40] | Butler will bring– Pierre will bring me | 管家会给我…皮埃尔会给我 |
[19:42] | some sort of lunch, I suppose, at 1:00. | 送点午餐吧 一点左右 |
[19:45] | Then I’ll swim, and then I’ll come back | 然后我去游泳 然后回来 |
[19:48] | and work for two more hours. | 然后再工作两小时 |
[19:51] | Six o’clock, I’ll start to get ready for dinner. Dinner at 7:00 | 六点我会收拾一下 七点吃晚餐 |
[19:55] | and then back to work or bed or both. | 然后回来工作或上床睡觉 或在床上工作 |
[20:00] | I’ll probably work in bed. | 我可能会在床上工作 |
[20:02] | And is there anything you need from me within… | 有什么需要我做的吗 就是… |
[20:08] | Working before lunch… | 在午餐前工作的那段时间 |
[20:09] | No, most of what I want you to do is I just want you to… | 不 我最希望你做的就是 |
[20:14] | Take care of them. And make sure that they’re happy. | 我想让你照顾好她们 确保她们玩得开心 |
[20:17] | I just don’t know what’s going on with them. | 我不知道她们是什么情况 |
[20:21] | You know, I tried last night to… What happened after I left? | 我昨晚本来想…我走后发生了什么 |
[20:24] | – Did you go out with Roberta and Susan? – Um, no. | -你跟罗伯塔和苏珊去玩了吗 -没有 |
[20:27] | Did they go out together? | 她俩一起去玩了吗 |
[20:28] | Did they speak to each other? Did they… | 她们彼此交谈了吗 她们有没有… |
[20:31] | I don’t… I don’t know. I was… I just went home. | 我不知道 我直接回房了 |
[20:35] | – And started writing some stuff down. – You just went home? | -开始写些东西 -你直接回房了 |
[20:38] | – Yeah. – But, Ty… | -对 -可是泰… |
[20:43] | Part of what I… I really do want you to watch out over them. | 我其实…我真的希望你能照顾她们 |
[20:48] | ‘Cause I’m not able to be with them, | 因为我不能陪她们 |
[20:49] | and I don’t know what they’re thinking. | 我不知道她们是怎么想的 |
[20:50] | I don’t know what they’re saying. I don’t know… I really… | 我不知道她们都聊些什么 我不知道… |
[20:54] | It’s very important to me that I know | 这真的很重要 我得知道 |
[20:56] | something of their state of mind. | 她们的想法 |
[20:59] | – Okay. Yeah. Absolutely, I’ll, um… – All right? | -好吧 没问题 我… -好吗 |
[21:04] | – But I just want to… – That makes me think of something. | -可我只想… -我突然想到点东西 |
[21:07] | Can you hand me the manuscript that’s over there, on the couch? | 能把那边的手稿帮我拿来吗 在沙发上 |
[21:17] | – And a pen. The red pen. – Yeah. | -再拿支笔 红笔 -好 |
[21:20] | Got two pens. | 我拿了两支笔 |
[21:22] | – Thank you, darling. – Here you go. | -谢谢 亲爱的 -给 |
[21:24] | Is… is this your new book? | 这是你的新书吗 |
[21:30] | Yeah. This is it. | 对 是的 |
[21:34] | What’s it about? | 是关于什么的 |
[21:39] | it is about trying to | 关于试图 |
[21:43] | catch lightning in a bottle for a second time. | 再一次取得几乎不可能的巨大成功 |
[21:50] | Nice. | 真棒 |
[22:05] | She’s in her room till 3:00, then she swims, | 她三点前都会在房里 然后她会去游泳 |
[22:08] | then back in her room, then dinner at 7:00, then bed. | 然后回房间 然后七点晚餐 然后上床 |
[22:13] | Thanks. | 谢了 |
[22:25] | What are you doing after dinner? | 你晚餐之后有什么安排 |
[23:23] | And I’m so curious to talk to you, | 我太好奇了 想跟你们聊聊 |
[23:26] | Alice and Roberta, about what it was like to come up together | 爱丽丝 罗伯塔 你们当初一起奋斗是什么感觉 |
[23:32] | without any technology, without… to… | 没有任何科技 没有… |
[23:37] | I can’t help but feel like you have a glimpse | 我忍不住觉得你们会清楚 |
[23:41] | into the experience of what it’s like to not… | 那到底是什么感觉 |
[23:47] | be obscured by any sort of false selves | 不被任何虚假的自我所困扰 |
[23:51] | or to really be intimate with each other in moments of… | 或是在一些时刻彼此间真心亲近 |
[23:56] | So I kind of feel like I’m spending time with three… | 我都有点觉得跟我共处的是三位… |
[24:03] | – Almost, like… – Dinosaurs. | -都有点像… -恐龙 |
[24:05] | – No. I was gonna say… – I’m teasing you. | -不是的 我是想说… -我逗你呢 |
[24:10] | I just think that there’s… | 我只是觉得… |
[24:12] | It is true that after your generation, | 是真的 在你们那一代之后 |
[24:15] | I don’t know who will carry the torch for… | 我不知道还有谁能接过火炬 |
[24:20] | What really… What humanity really is. | 传承人类的本质 |
[24:25] | I don’t think it’s that different, you know? | 我觉得没有那么不同 知道吗 |
[24:28] | I know it’s vastly different | 我知道当你从外部视角看来 |
[24:31] | when you look at it from the outside. | 确实有很大不同 |
[24:34] | And what’s happened to your generation… | 而你们这一代… |
[24:37] | I mean, since you were two, you’ve been typing away, | 毕竟你们从两岁起就开始打字了 |
[24:40] | and so you’ve grown up with this thing | 你们是跟这东西一起长大的 |
[24:42] | like an appendage on you, you know? | 它们就像长在你们身上 懂吗 |
[24:45] | But I think that… | 但我觉得 |
[24:49] | Depending on what you join up with on, | 根据你们都加入些什么 |
[24:52] | you know, the computer… Facebook or Instagram | 我是说在电脑上 脸书或照片墙 |
[24:55] | or whatever you’re joining up with… | 或其他你们加入的东西 |
[24:58] | Or not… | 或是不加入什么 |
[25:00] | That human communication is basically the same | 人际交往本质上是一样的 |
[25:04] | because humans are basically the same. | 因为人类本质上是一样的 |
[25:42] | So, who should I sign this to? | 这本要签给谁 |
[25:44] | – Arabella. – It’d be very nice. | -阿拉贝拉 -好极了 |
[25:48] | – That’s my granddaughter. – Granddaughter? | -她是我孙女 -孙女 |
[25:51] | Yeah, she’s only about, 15 years old? | 好吧 她才多大 十五岁 |
[25:54] | She’s seven today. It’s her birthday. | 她今天满七岁 今天是她生日 |
[25:56] | – It’s her birthday? – She’s on board, yeah. | -生日 -她在船上 |
[25:58] | – She’s on board? Where is she? – Oh, yeah, she’s by the pool. | -她在船上 在哪 -她在泳池那边 |
[26:01] | – By the pool? – Naturally. | -泳池边 -小孩嘛 |
[26:04] | Well, that’s… Can she swim? | 那真是…她会游泳吗 |
[26:14] | Okay, so don’t look all at the same time, | 大家别一起看 |
[26:18] | but does anybody know who that guy is, | 有人知道那人是谁吗 |
[26:20] | sitting behind me to the right? | 坐在我右后方那个 |
[26:21] | He was surrounded by a group of fans earlier today. | 他之前被一群粉丝围着 |
[26:26] | Oh, I think that’s him. | 我觉得是他 |
[26:29] | – I know that’s him. – Who? | -就是他 -谁啊 |
[26:32] | Kelvin Kranz! | 凯尔文·克兰兹 |
[26:35] | – Who? – Who is he? | -谁 -他是什么人 |
[26:37] | He’s a writer. He’s a huge mystery writer. | 他是个作家 是超级著名的悬疑作家 |
[26:40] | – He’s written hundreds of books. – Have you read any of them? | -他写过好几百本书 -你们读过吗 |
[26:43] | – Oh, all of them. – Almost all of them. | -全都读过 -几乎都读过 |
[26:45] | Every one of them. Some twice. | 每一本 有的还读过两遍 |
[26:48] | Good Lord. How is that possible? How is that possible… | 天 怎么可能 怎么可能 |
[26:51] | It’s a thrill… He’s not like you. | 他写的是惊悚悬疑 跟你不一样 |
[26:54] | Nothing like you at all. He’s a thriller, a mystery writer. | 跟你完全不同 他是惊悚悬疑作家 |
[26:58] | – A thriller writer. – Yes, I understand. | -惊悚作家 -我明白 |
[27:01] | What I don’t understand… | 我不明白的是 |
[27:04] | is how people… | 人怎么能 |
[27:06] | How you can read the… The prose just… | 你们怎么能读…那种闲书 |
[27:11] | That kind of writing seems to me like… | 我觉得那种作品就像 |
[27:14] | The prose seems like Styrofoam or something. | 那种闲书就像泡沫塑料 |
[27:17] | – But it’s plot-driven. – Yes, but the plots are so simplified. | -可它有情节推动 -是 但情节都太简单了 |
[27:21] | It’s like a jigsaw puzzle. | 就像拼图游戏似的 |
[27:22] | You know, you match the color and the shape, | 就是把颜色和形状匹配起来 |
[27:24] | and then you put it all together. | 然后拼到一起 |
[27:25] | It’s all very pat and neat and done. | 太简单容易了 |
[27:27] | And then, you know, it’s a | 然后…你们懂的 |
[27:29] | picture that’s completely unrelated to life. | 就成了一幅跟生活完全无关的图画 |
[27:32] | Life is a mystery, a true mystery. | 生活才是悬疑故事 真正的悬疑故事 |
[27:34] | – It’s true. – It’s true. | -是的 -确实 |
[27:36] | Yes. I can’t wait for the next one. | 对 但我等不及他下一本书了 |
[27:39] | And also, it’s like a puzzle you get to solve. | 而且 他的书就像你要解开的一道谜题 |
[27:43] | – Maybe I’ll go over there. – No, no, don’t. | -要不我过去吧 -别 别这样 |
[27:47] | No, not yet. Don’t… | 不 别急 先别… |
[27:49] | Wait until later. | 晚点再去 |
[27:52] | – Thank you. – Ma’am, pleasure. | -谢谢 -我的荣幸 女士 |
[27:54] | – Why don’t we go get a drink tonight? – Oh, I can’t. | -我们今晚一起喝一杯吧 -我不行 |
[27:56] | I’m going to the masquerade ball. | 我要去化妆舞会 |
[28:02] | Sounds like fun. | 听起来挺有意思 |
[28:23] | Can you hang out? | 你能来吗 |
[28:28] | Fuck, yeah. | 太能了 |
[28:47] | I saw the manuscript. | 我看到手稿了 |
[28:50] | Just saw it. I didn’t… I asked her what it was about. | 只是看到了 我没…我问她是写什么的 |
[28:53] | She was not really interested in sharing, but she did say that | 她不太想分享 不过她说了 |
[28:58] | it’s about… trying to catch | 这本书是关于…试图 |
[29:02] | lightning in a bottle for the second time. | 再一次取得几乎不可能的巨大成功 |
[29:10] | Lightning in a bottle for the second time, that… | 再一次取得几乎不可能的巨大成功 |
[29:14] | That could mean a sequel. Right? | 可能是续作 对吗 |
[29:20] | Yeah, I suppose it could. I think it could mean a lot of things. | 可能吧 但也可能是其他意思 |
[29:25] | Well, that’s pretty exciting. | 太令人激动了 |
[29:51] | I thought that was the direction I was gonna take my life in, | 我以为那是我人生的方向 |
[29:55] | and I went to college, and I sort of… I don’t know. | 我上了大学 我有点 我不知道 |
[30:00] | The more I separated from my dad, | 离我爸越远 |
[30:02] | the more I saw actually how sketchy of a guy he was. | 我越是看清他有多不靠谱 |
[30:05] | He was, like… kind of an ignorant human being | 他是个有点愚昧的人 |
[30:10] | in his politics and his… | 他的政治观念 |
[30:13] | Just kind of the way he treated… | 就是他对待 |
[30:18] | people and specifically, I think, women. | 他人 尤其是对待女性的方式 |
[30:22] | And… | 而且 |
[30:25] | And… Yeah, and then… | 而且 那个 |
[30:29] | He actually got sent to jail because he… | 他进监狱了 因为他 |
[30:35] | blackmailed some very | 勒索了 |
[30:37] | important people at the top of these companies | 他所效劳的一些公司的 |
[30:41] | that… that that he worked for. | 很重要的高层 |
[30:44] | – Yeah. – I don’t know if you heard about that. | -是的 -我不知道你有没有听说 |
[30:48] | – Yeah, I heard something about that. – Yeah, that’s my dad. | -我听说过一些 -那就是我爸 |
[30:52] | – Anyway… – It’s okay. | -总之 -没事的 |
[30:56] | So… Are you even or odd? I’m odd. | 你住奇数还是偶数 我是奇数 |
[31:02] | – I’m even. – Okay. | -我是偶数 -好 |
[31:05] | – All right. – Good night. | -好的 -晚安 |
[31:06] | – Good night. See you tomorrow? – Yeah, definitely. | -晚安 明天见 -当然 |
[31:11] | – Okay. – Okay. | -好 -好 |
[31:42] | So it’s strange to me the idea | 我觉得这很奇怪 |
[31:44] | that she would come here and avoid you. | 她上船了但是躲着你 |
[31:48] | It’s very strange to me. | 我也觉得很奇怪 |
[31:49] | It’s strange because she jumped at the opportunity. | 非常奇怪 因为她欣然接受了这个机会 |
[31:52] | You know, she jumped at the invitation. | 她欣然接受了邀请 |
[31:54] | Susan, it took two weeks for her | 苏珊 她花了两周时间 |
[31:56] | to make the arrangements to be able to leave. | 调整好安排才能出发 |
[32:01] | Then maybe she’s trying… She wanted to come here to… | 或许她想…她想来这里 |
[32:05] | To make you uneasy. | 让你感到不安 |
[32:09] | Oh, I don’t… | 我没有 |
[32:11] | – Or she wanted– – Do you think she did? | -或者她想… -你觉得是这样吗 |
[32:13] | Well, maybe not as a whole, but, you know, some… | 或许总的来说不是 但是 |
[32:15] | Like, when I was a kid, | 比如我小时候 |
[32:17] | I would get mad at my parents and yell at them | 我会生父母的气 冲他们大喊大叫 |
[32:22] | to see that they loved me. | 看看他们是不是真的爱我 |
[32:24] | Do you know what I mean? I would hurt them. | 你懂我的意思吗 我会伤害他们 |
[32:26] | And when I saw the hurt in their eyes, | 当我看到他们眼中的痛苦时 |
[32:28] | that told me they loved me. | 那说明他们爱我 |
[32:30] | And that was a way of comforting myself. | 那是自我安慰的一种方式 |
[32:33] | Oh, gosh, well, that’s a horrible, horrible thought. | 天 这种想法太可怕了 |
[32:36] | I hope that’s not… That’s true, | 我希望那不是…是的 |
[32:38] | and I’m sorry that happened to you. | 很遗憾你有过这样的经历 |
[32:40] | Well, I did it, so… | 我的确做过 |
[32:42] | Yes, but I don’t think you… | 是的 但我不觉得你 |
[32:45] | I’m sure your mother came through for you, | 我相信你妈妈一定让你感受到爱了 |
[32:47] | but I can’t imagine that Bud did. | 但我觉得巴德大概没有 |
[32:51] | Right. | 是的 |
[32:52] | 迪克斯鞋带 穆雷·迪克斯 | |
[32:52] | Okay, this is the closest that | 这是我遇到的 |
[32:56] | I’ve been able to come to a viable candidate, | 最合适的人选 |
[32:59] | Murray Dix. He makes shoelaces. | 穆雷·迪克斯 他是做鞋带的 |
[33:01] | I wish it were a little more glamorous, | 我也希望能更拿得出手 |
[33:03] | but I think he’s got dough. | 但他应该挺有钱的 |
[33:05] | I need you to find out how much dough he really has. | 我要你查清他到底有多少钱 |
[33:10] | Is it liquid? What’s his marital history? Was… | 是流动资产吗 过往婚姻如何 |
[33:16] | Did he abuse a wife? Did he… I mean, am I gonna survive if I… | 他虐待妻子吗 我会不会遭黑手 |
[33:23] | Are there any red flags? Did he do time? | 有没有危险信号 他坐过牢吗 |
[33:26] | That would not be good for my reputation, among other things. | 这首先就对我的名声没有好处 |
[33:31] | Right. Right. | 是的 是的 |
[33:34] | – So can you– – You want me to do a forensic deep dive. | -那你能… -你想让我做些司法上的深度调查 |
[33:38] | – Yes, I know you can do that. – If you will… Yeah, I got you. | -是的 我知道你能做 -是这意思吧 交给我吧 |
[34:04] | Where is it? | 在哪呢 |
[34:18] | 《你总是 你从未》 爱丽丝·休斯 《身体的功能》 爱丽丝·休斯 《软着陆》 爱丽丝·休斯 | |
[34:34] | 《神游状态》 凯尔文·克兰兹 《黑色地平线》 凯尔文·克兰兹 《火药路》 凯尔文·克兰兹 | |
[34:36] | Oh, my God. | 我的天 |
[34:54] | What? | 怎么了 |
[35:02] | Okay, that’s a blemish. | 这是个污点 |
[35:06] | But he was acquitted. Isn’t that the important thing? | 但他被无罪开释了 这才是最重要的吧 |
[35:45] | – How’s it going? – Yeah, good. How are you? | -你好吗 -很好 你呢 |
[35:47] | I’m doing well. | 我也很好 |
[35:50] | How you feeling today? | 你今天怎么样 |
[35:52] | I hate my life. I loathe my job. | 我恨我的生活 我厌恶我的工作 |
[35:57] | I… | 我 |
[35:59] | I desperately want money. | 我急需钱 |
[36:02] | I really want money, and I’m | 我真的想要钱 |
[36:04] | not in a position to meet a guy who has any. | 但我没机会遇到有钱的人 |
[36:08] | I mean, I get these old codgers who come into the store, | 我见到的都是来到店里的怪老头 |
[36:11] | and they want to buy a thong for their teenage girlfriends, | 他们想给自己的小女友买丁字裤 |
[36:14] | while I’m old, rotten meat for them. | 而我对于他们来说只是老腊肉 |
[36:17] | – They’re not interested. – Oh, honey. | -他们不感兴趣 -亲爱的 |
[36:19] | But, um… | 但是 |
[36:21] | You really do believe that Alice | 你真的认为爱丽丝和她的书 |
[36:24] | and her book just determined your whole life? | 决定了你的一生吗 |
[36:29] | Don’t you? | 你不这么想吗 |
[36:31] | I know I’m not the quickest person | 我知道我不是这里 |
[36:36] | around the place, but… | 最机灵的人 但是 |
[36:38] | I read Alice’s book. | 我读过爱丽丝的书 |
[36:40] | It never crossed my mind that it was you. | 我从未想过那写的是你 |
[36:45] | It never crossed my mind that it was Crawford. | 我从未想过那是克劳福德 |
[36:49] | It never crossed my mind that that mechanic guy… | 我从未想过那个机械师 |
[36:55] | had anything to do with Roberta. | 和罗伯塔有什么关系 |
[36:59] | Nothing. It never crossed my mind. | 从未 从未想过 |
[37:02] | Even though the character’s name was Rowena? | 即便那个角色叫罗维娜 |
[37:05] | Why would I put that with you? | 但我为什么要想到你 |
[37:07] | Well, it crossed everyone else’s mind, Susan. | 其他人都想到了 苏珊 |
[37:11] | It certainly crossed Crawford’s. | 克劳福德肯定想到了 |
[37:16] | And the judge agreed with him, so, you know, what… | 法官同意他的观点 所以 |
[37:20] | – I got nothing. – Oh, God, that’s so awful. | -我净身出户了 -天啊 太糟糕了 |
[37:24] | – Look, he was… – That’s so awful. | -听着 他 -太糟糕了 |
[37:26] | He was a nice man. He was very wealthy. | 他是个好人 他非常有钱 |
[37:29] | He took very good care of me. | 他悉心照料我 |
[37:32] | – Until… – He didn’t. | -直到 -他把我甩了 |
[37:36] | So are you seeing anyone at the moment? | 你现在有对象吗 |
[37:40] | No, no one right now. | 没有 现在没有 |
[37:42] | I, um… | 我 |
[37:46] | Okay, so the weirdest thing happened this morning. That guy… | 今早有件怪事 那个人 |
[37:52] | I think, was coming out of Alice’s room | 我觉得他是从爱丽丝房里出来的 |
[37:56] | when I went to go see her for breakfast. | 那时我去叫她吃早餐 |
[37:59] | – What? – Yeah. | -什么 -是的 |
[38:01] | Like, like, he’d stayed the night? | 他过夜了 |
[38:04] | Maybe. I don’t know. | 可能吧 我不知道 |
[38:07] | – Does that– – Do you think they’re having an affair? | -那… -你觉得他俩有一腿吗 |
[38:09] | Again, yeah, I don’t know, but it… I don’t know why else… | 我不知道 但我不知道还能怎么解释 |
[38:14] | he’d be leaving her room or why she wouldn’t tell me, but… | 他从她房里出来 还有她为什么不告诉我 但是 |
[38:19] | Maybe she’s having a secret affair. Good for her. | 她可能偷偷跟他有一腿 好样的 |
[38:21] | I know, yeah. Oh, God. | 我知道 天啊 |
[38:25] | So I moved out, and I lived on my own for a bit, | 所以我搬了出去 自己生活了一阵子 |
[38:28] | and then I got introduced to this guy called Jan, | 然后我认识了这个叫让的男人 |
[38:32] | who is a hedge fund manager, | 他是个对冲基金经理 |
[38:35] | and he works between New York and Zurich. | 他在纽约和苏黎世两地工作 |
[38:38] | So we started seeing each other. | 我们开始交往 |
[38:41] | And things seemed to be going pretty well. | 似乎发展得很顺利 |
[38:44] | We moved in together. | 我们开始同居 |
[38:47] | I really felt like I was | 我第一次感觉自己 |
[38:49] | in a grown-up relationship for the first time. | 有了一段成年人的感情 |
[38:51] | Like, he’s quite serious. | 他非常认真 |
[38:54] | Like, I felt like it was time that I… that I calmed down. | 我觉得我是时候要安定下来了 |
[38:57] | Like, I don’t know why I thought that, | 我不知道我为什么那么想 |
[38:59] | but in my mind I was like, you know, | 但我内心在说 |
[39:01] | “It’s time to grow up.” Like, “This is it. He’s the guy.” | “该长大了” “就这样 就是他了” |
[39:04] | “I’m gonna get married. I’m gonna have kids with him.” | “我要结婚了 我要和他生孩子了” |
[39:09] | And I’m just… Yeah. | 我心想 |
[39:10] | “This is the next phase of my life.” That’s what I thought. | “这是我人生的下一阶段” 我是这么想的 |
[39:15] | We talked about children, but he said he wasn’t sure | 我们讨论了要孩子的事 但他说他不确定 |
[39:17] | and he didn’t know when he’d be ready, so, you know… | 他不知道他什么时候能做好准备 所以 |
[39:20] | He said, why don’t I freeze my eggs? | 他说 我何不去冻卵呢 |
[39:21] | So last year I… I did that. | 所以去年我去冻卵了 |
[39:27] | Even though, like, I thought that I’d be ready, like, now. | 虽然我觉得我现在应该准备好了 |
[39:30] | I mean, most of my friends have had kids and… | 我的很多朋友都有小孩了 |
[39:33] | – Right. – You know, they’ve got families and… | -是的 -他们都组建了家庭 |
[39:37] | I don’t know, it’s funny when you get to this age as a woman. | 女人到了这个年龄就很尴尬 |
[39:40] | You feel a bit like if you’re not doing that, you’re gonna be… | 你感觉如果不生孩子 就会 |
[39:44] | Well, you’re gonna miss your chance or you’re gonna be, like… | 就会错过机会 就会 |
[39:48] | left behind. | 落后 |
[39:50] | – Sorry, it’s just… – No, it’s all right. Are you all right? | -抱歉 只是 -没事 你还好吗 |
[39:53] | Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. I’m fine. | 没事 我很好 我很好 |
[39:54] | I just haven’t really talked about this. | 我没跟人聊过这个 |
[39:59] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[40:02] | It’s ridiculous, really. | 真的很可笑 |
[40:04] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[40:08] | It’s so crazy, you go through your 20s, and you’re, like, | 太疯狂了 二十多岁时你会想 |
[40:10] | “I better not fucking get pregnant | “我他妈最好别怀孕 |
[40:11] | ’cause that would be a disaster.” | 怀孕了就完蛋了” |
[40:13] | And then when you hit 35, everyone’s like, | 然后等到了35岁 每个人都说 |
[40:15] | “Are you thinking about it?” | “你考虑了吗” |
[40:15] | Like, should you… “Are you gonna have kids?” | 你该不该 “你打算要小孩吗” |
[40:18] | So it all kind of changes so quickly, | 一切都变得太快了 |
[40:21] | I thought that that was gonna happen, | 我当时觉得会成的 |
[40:23] | that Jan and I were gonna get married. | 让和我会结婚 |
[40:25] | So it just, like, threw me when, like two months ago, he… | 大概两个月前 他说分手时 |
[40:30] | Well, he just ended it. And… | 我备受打击 |
[40:33] | Like, I was basically homeless ’cause it was his place. And… | 我基本上无家可归 因为那是他的房子 |
[40:40] | Yeah, I’m just… | 是的 |
[40:41] | Guess I’m just still working through all of that. | 我还没有走出来 |
[41:02] | – Good afternoon. – Hello. | -下午好 -你好 |
[41:03] | Uh, I was given this gift | 有人给了我这张 |
[41:05] | certificate for a supreme manicure and pedicure, | 尊享美甲足疗礼品券 |
[41:09] | which is very nice, but I | 这太棒了 但是我 |
[41:10] | don’t like people touching my hands or feet, | 不喜欢别人碰我的手和脚 |
[41:12] | so I would like to redeem it for cash, please. | 所以我想把它兑换成现金 |
[41:15] | We can’t do that, madam, | 我们不能这么做 女士 |
[41:16] | but we can offer you another treatment instead. | 但我们可以为您提供另一项服务 |
[41:21] | Uh, could I redeem it… | 我可不可以兑换 |
[41:23] | Could you put it on my credit card? | 你可以把钱存入我的信用卡吗 |
[41:25] | Unfortunately, no, because it is a complimentary one, | 很抱歉 不行 因为这是赠品 |
[41:27] | so we would be able to just transfer it to a different treatment. | 所以我们只能转成其他的服务 |
[41:30] | Let me show you what we have available. | 我给您看看我们有什么 |
[41:33] | For the money that you have, you can have any of these. | 用礼品券里的钱 您可以选择这里任何一项 |
[41:38] | Do men get massages here, too? | 男人也能在这里做按摩吗 |
[41:40] | We do. We do do massages for everyone, yes. | 是的 我们为所有人提供按摩服务 |
[41:42] | Do you have any men getting a massage at the moment? | 那现在有男人在做按摩吗 |
[41:45] | We do at the moment, yes, madam. | 现在有的 女士 |
[41:47] | What kind of massage are they getting? | 他们做的是什么按摩 |
[41:49] | They have all sorts of… All the different types we do. | 什么样的都有 我们提供的所有种类 |
[41:51] | At the moment, we have got a gentleman in. | 现在我们有位先生在里面 |
[41:53] | He’s having a sports massage. | 他正在做运动按摩 |
[41:55] | Ah, well, I would like to have the sports massage. | 好 我想做运动按摩 |
[41:57] | – The sports massage? Okay. – Yes, please. | -运动按摩吗 好的 -好的 |
[42:09] | – They’re the same price? – Same price, yes. | -价格一样吗 -是的 价格一样 |
[42:12] | Let’s say we went to the Bordeaux, just in case. | 比如说 我们去了波尔多 |
[42:16] | He went like this. Now he’s going like this. | 他先那样 现在他又这样 |
[42:20] | Why don’t you go up to him and, and talk to him? | 你为什么不去找他 跟他聊聊 |
[42:24] | – Tyler, I would never do that. – He really seems… | -泰勒 我绝不会那么做的 -他看起来很… |
[42:28] | Oh, my God. You can’t be intimidated by Kelvin Kra… | 我的天 你不会被凯尔文吓到了吧 |
[42:32] | – Kelvin– – Oh, my God. | -凯尔文 -我的天 |
[42:34] | He seemed really nice to all | 昨天他似乎对所有 |
[42:36] | the people who were going up to him yesterday. | 去找他的人都很友好 |
[42:38] | Really? Oh, I’m not surprised. | 真的吗 我并不意外 |
[42:41] | I think he’s probably a lovely man. | 我觉得他是个很亲切的人 |
[42:44] | Speaking of writing, how is yours going? | 说到写作 你写得如何了 |
[42:51] | Thank you for asking me that. | 谢谢你问我 |
[42:59] | Well, it’s… it’s not going, actually. | 实际上 没有进展 |
[43:02] | It’s not going. I’ve been whining to Tyler about it. | 没有进展 我一直在跟泰勒发牢骚 |
[43:08] | I’m sorry for doing that, but I just… | 我很抱歉 但我 |
[43:11] | I’ve hit a… I’ve hit a wall. Sometimes it happens. | 我碰壁了 时有发生 |
[43:15] | Sometimes you hit… You’re blocked. | 有时候就是…卡壳了 |
[43:19] | Well, maybe you should take a breather. | 你可能需要休息一下 |
[43:22] | You want to have tea tomorrow? We could go to the… | 我们明天一起喝个茶吧 我们可以去… |
[43:25] | The Chart Room has a nice tea. | 海图室的茶点不错 |
[43:30] | I would love to. | 我很乐意 |
[43:37] | I didn’t know whether you’d be up for it, | 我不知道你想不想去 |
[43:38] | but have you been to a planetarium before? | 你以前去过天文馆吗 |
[43:41] | No. Never. Or maybe when I was a kid. | 没有 从没去过 也许小时候去过 |
[43:43] | Okay. Do you like stars, planets, the universe? | 好吧 你对星星 星球和宇宙感兴趣吗 |
[43:48] | Yeah, I love the universe. | 我对宇宙很感兴趣 |
[43:50] | Okay. Hopefully, you should enjoy this. | 好吧 那你应该会喜欢这个 |
[43:54] | The night sky, both beautiful and mysterious. | 夜晚的星空 美丽而又神秘 |
[43:59] | The subject of campfire stories, | 自从人类诞生以来 |
[44:02] | ancient myths, and awe | 它就一直是篝火故事以及 |
[44:04] | for as long as there have been people. | 古老神话的主题 也是人们敬畏的对象 |
[44:07] | Living beneath the open, dark sky, | 早期的人类生活在开阔黑暗的星空下 |
[44:09] | the earliest humans were aware of nightly changes | 星球在夜空中穿行时 |
[44:13] | as planets marched across the sky. | 他们知道黑夜的变化 |
[44:16] | The moon waxed and waned, | 月亮阴晴圆缺 |
[44:18] | and occasional meteors flared across the horizon. | 偶尔有流星划过地平线 |
[44:22] | Slowly, the simple early observations | 慢慢地 早期简单的观测 |
[44:26] | revealed patterns that could be depended upon, | 显示出了可信的模式 |
[44:29] | leading to the first calendars. | 于是有了最初的历法 |
[44:31] | With the yearly cycle mapped out, | 确定年复一年的周期后 |
[44:34] | settlements in agriculture could develop, | 农耕得以发展 |
[44:37] | and early civilizations thrived. | 早期文明繁荣昌盛 |
[44:40] | At the same time, the first maps of the sky | 与此同时 最初的星图 |
[44:43] | grouped the brightest stars into familiar constellations, | 将最亮的星星排列成我们熟悉的星座 |
[44:47] | helping to develop navigational schemes… | 人们依此开发了导航系统 |
[45:25] | – Good evening, madam. – Hello. | -晚上好 女士 -你好 |
[45:27] | How can I help you? I think you seem to be lost. | 您需要帮助吗 您是不是迷路了 |
[45:29] | No, I’m not lost. I’m just wandering. | 不 我没有迷路 我就到处逛逛 |
[45:32] | You’re not actually allowed in this area, | 这里是工作人员专属区域 |
[45:34] | this is part of the crew area. | 您是不允许进来的 |
[45:36] | – Oh, okay. – And you’re not insured. | -好的 -而且您没有保险 |
[45:37] | So, if anything does happen… | 所以万一发生什么意外… |
[45:39] | Okay, where shall I go? | 好的 我该走哪边呢 |
[45:41] | So where would you like to go, and I can escort you, please? | 您想去哪里 我可以护送您过去 |
[45:44] | Okay, no problem. | 好的 |
[46:34] | 《神游状态》 凯尔文·克兰兹 | |
[46:37] | Kelvin Kranz is on this ship? | 凯尔文·克兰兹在这艘船上 |
[46:41] | Wait, is he… is that a really big deal? | 等等 他真的 真的有那么牛吗 |
[46:44] | Come on, you have to have heard of him. | 拜托 你肯定听说过他 |
[46:45] | No, I’ve never heard of him. | 不 我从来没听说过他 |
[46:47] | I mean, he’s huge. | 他是大人物 |
[46:50] | Like, the guy’s a one-man publishing industry. | 他一人就能撑起出版业 |
[46:52] | Every single one of his books | 他每一本书 |
[46:54] | gets adapted into a film, in every language. | 都被改编成电影 |
[46:57] | – His books have been translated into. – Okay, Kelvin. | -他的书被译成各种语言 -凯尔文 |
[46:59] | He’s massive. Like, bigger than all of them combined, like… | 他很厉害 比其他所有人加起来还要厉害 |
[47:03] | – Good for… good for Kelvin. – Yeah. | -凯尔文真不错 -是啊 |
[47:06] | Good for that guy. | 那家伙真厉害 |
[47:08] | So I had a thought that I was… | 我在想… |
[47:12] | Do you… Do you like dancing? | 你喜欢跳舞吗 |
[47:15] | – Dancing? – Yeah. | -跳舞 -对 |
[47:16] | – Like, just for fun? – No, there’s a dance club on the boat. | -就是跳着玩 -不是 船上有个舞厅 |
[47:21] | I think it’s like a disco-type spot, | 应该是迪厅那种 |
[47:23] | and I figured maybe we could go, if you were interested. | 我在想如果你感兴趣 我们可以去看看 |
[47:28] | Okay. | 好啊 |
[47:47] | Thanks for doing that with me. | 谢谢你陪我跳舞 |
[47:50] | – It was fun. – It was fun. Yeah. | -很好玩啊 -是很好玩 |
[47:51] | – Good night. – Good seeing you. | -晚安 -再见 |
[47:54] | – See you. – All right, have a good one. | -再见 -好的 晚安 |
[48:19] | Gosh, I just realized. | 天啊 我刚刚意识到 |
[48:22] | Last night I had a dream. | 我昨晚做了个梦 |
[48:25] | I guess… | 也许… |
[48:29] | Maybe that’s why I thought about not… not losing touch. | 也许这就是为什么我不想失去联系的原因 |
[48:34] | I had a dream that a friend of mine that is no longer alive | 我梦见一位已经去世的朋友 |
[48:40] | came to me. | 来找我 |
[48:43] | I was aware that I was dreaming. | 我知道自己在做梦 |
[48:47] | I was aware that… | 我知道 |
[48:52] | this person was saying to me, | 这个朋友跟我说 |
[48:54] | “This is how we’ll communicate now.” | “我们现在就这样交流了” |
[48:56] | Oh, no way. | 不是吧 |
[49:00] | Oh, my God. | 我的天 |
[49:02] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[49:05] | Yeah. We never lose… | 是啊 我们不会 |
[49:09] | Never lose people. | 不会与人失去联系 |
[49:13] | Gosh. | 天啊 |
[49:20] | – Hey, gorgeous. – Hey. | -你好 美女 -你好 |
[49:23] | Do you understand this thing? | 你看得懂这本书吗 |
[49:28] | Do you know what you’re gonna say? | 你知道自己想说什么吗 |
[49:30] | I’m gonna say that actions have consequences, | 我想说任何行为都有后果 |
[49:34] | and the consequences on my life of | 她的行为对我的人生 |
[49:38] | her actions were unacceptable. | 造成的后果是不可接受的 |
[49:41] | And the least she could do is apologize. | 至少她可以道个歉 |
[49:47] | How do you think she’s gonna take that? | 你觉得她会怎么想呢 |
[49:51] | She’ll go… | 她会… |
[49:53] | Well, I… She’ll, she’ll deny it. | 我…她会否认 |
[49:55] | She’ll say that… She’ll deny it. | 她会说…她会否认 |
[49:59] | She’ll say it was based on someone entirely different. | 她会说这个故事讲的完全是另外一个人 |
[50:06] | Doesn’t that look like Professor Osbourne? | 那个人看着像不像奥斯本教授 |
[50:10] | – I didn’t see him. – It’s a dead ringer for Prof. Osbourne. | -我没看清 -和奥斯本教授长得一模一样 |
[50:14] | – Remember him? – I… How… | -你记得他吗 -我…怎么… |
[50:18] | If I’d seen him, I wouldn’t have reacted like you are. | 就算我看到他 我也不会像你反应这么大 |
[50:21] | – Oh, my God. – What went on? | -天啊 -发生过什么 |
[50:25] | Nothing, nothing. I’m just… | 没有没有 我就是… |
[50:27] | I don’t think so. | 我看有吧 |
[50:30] | I had a threesome with him and his wife. | 我和他还有他妻子玩过三人行 |
[50:32] | Well… | 这个… |
[50:36] | Well, well, well… | 好吧 好吧 |
[50:41] | – Is that all? – Yeah. It was just a threesome. | -就那样而已 -是的 就一次三人行 |
[50:44] | It wasn’t a foursome or a fivesome… | 没有四人行也没有五人行 |
[50:48] | It wasn’t an orgy. | 不是群交 |
[50:50] | 《你总是 你从未》 爱丽丝·休斯 《软着陆》 爱丽丝·休斯 | |
[51:14] | 《你总是 你从未》 爱丽丝·休斯 | |
[51:33] | That can’t really be your first time… | 你肯定不是第一次看这本书 |
[51:37] | Karen. | 凯伦 |
[51:42] | Heard a rumor you were on the ship. | 我听说了你也在船上 |
[51:44] | Well, it’s no rumor. | 现在不是听说了 |
[52:01] | There’s a big majority. I mean, we’ve got ex-service people. | 很多这样的 有一些是退役军人 |
[52:05] | We’ve got guys that have come up through the self-improvement. | 有一些人是通过奋斗自我提升的 |
[52:10] | You know, and those guys are generally very, very enthusiastic | 这些人一般都非常热情 |
[52:13] | ’cause they’ve spent a lot of money to get to where they are. | 因为他们花了很多钱才达到现在的地位 |
[52:17] | So, you tend to look after | 你就要多关照 |
[52:19] | them a little bit more. You know, they’ll… | 这些人一点 他们… |
[52:21] | They tend to want to understand the market. | 他们想了解市场 |
[52:25] | With the ex-service guys, they’re independent. | 而那些退役军人 他们都是个体户 |
[52:28] | You can get them to go out and do a job. | 你可以让他们去干活 |
[52:30] | They don’t need any support | 他们不需要公司内部 |
[52:33] | from within the company. | 提供任何支持 |
[52:36] | But, you know, my job is to sort of oversee what’s going on | 而我的工作就像是监管 |
[52:38] | and count the money as it comes in. | 然后等着数钱 |
[52:42] | – That’s probably fun. – Yeah. | -应该很有意思 -是啊 |
[52:44] | Would you mind if we moved into the room next door? | 你介意我们去隔壁那个房间吗 |
[52:48] | – Not at all, not at all. – Great. Let’s do that. | -没问题 没问题 -好 我们走吧 |
[52:50] | – Love to follow you in. – I’m meeting someone. | -听你的 -我约了个人 |
[52:52] | I mean, I like the ambition, truly. But what is your plan? | 我真的很欣赏你的事业心 但你打算怎么做 |
[52:58] | My plan was to approach her at the right point. | 我打算合适的时候去找她 |
[53:03] | You think that’s a bad idea? | 你觉得这个主意不好吗 |
[53:04] | I think it’s a terrible idea. | 我觉得这个主意很糟糕 |
[53:06] | I don’t think you can approach her at all on this boat. | 我觉得在这艘船上你根本找不了她 |
[53:09] | I think you will scare her away. | 你会把她吓跑 |
[53:12] | I think that she might appreciate | 她可能会欣赏 |
[53:15] | your tenacity, but really… | 你的坚韧 但实际上… |
[53:20] | She’s gonna decide what she does, | 她想做什么由她自己决定 |
[53:23] | and it’s really out of your control. | 这个你真的掌控不了 |
[53:24] | – Right, it’s what… – Absolutely. The shine on the tables. | -对 是… -绝对的 光亮的桌子 |
[53:29] | – The decor is so… – Yeah. Alice, Alice. | -装饰非常… -爱丽丝 爱丽丝 |
[53:35] | Alice… Sorry, this is Alice Hughes. This is Vernon. | 爱丽丝 这是爱丽丝·休斯 这是弗农 |
[53:41] | – Vernon, hello. – Vernon. Pleased to meet you. | -弗农你好 -我是弗农 很高兴认识你 |
[53:43] | – Pleasure. – He’s in aviation. | -幸会 -他是做航空业的 |
[53:46] | – Well… – Would you like to join us? | -好吧 -你要不要一起坐 |
[53:48] | Please. | 请坐 |
[53:51] | Oh. No, it’s all right. | 不了 不用了 |
[53:52] | I was just wandering around the ship and | 我就是在船上闲逛 |
[53:57] | passed the florist and thought, | 刚经过花店 我就想 |
[54:00] | “Why am I carrying this around like a fool?” | “为什么我像个傻子一样拿着花到处走” |
[54:03] | Let me, um, set it here. | 我把花放在这里吧 |
[54:06] | Maybe I’ll see you at dinner. | 我们晚餐时见吧 |
[54:08] | – You… Definitely. – Nice to meet you. | -说好了 -很高兴认识你 |
[54:10] | – Look forward to it. – Pleasure. | -回头见 -幸会 |
[54:11] | – Take care. – Bye. | -慢走 -再见 |
[54:16] | – She seems nice. – Yeah, she’s a very fine writer. | -她人不错 -是 她是个优秀的作家 |
[54:20] | We went to university together. | 我们一起上的大学 |
[54:23] | I mean, it’s madness, really. What, you want her to write a… | 这真挺疯狂的 你想让她写那个 |
[54:28] | – A sequel to… Yeah. – A sequel to this? | -续作 对 -这本书的续作 |
[54:31] | I mean, everyone wants her to write a sequel to this. | 人人都希望她写这本书的续作 |
[54:33] | Yeah, but she’s never gonna do that. The book’s her antichrist. | 嗯 不过她永远不会写的 这本书是她的大敌 |
[54:38] | Don’t you think? | 你不觉得吗 |
[54:48] | Tyler, it’s Roberta. I need your help. | 泰勒 我是罗伯塔 我需要你帮个忙 |
[54:55] | Sorry, sometimes it takes a little while ’cause she could be… | 抱歉 有时候要等下 因为她可能… |
[54:58] | There are two floors, so she could be upstairs. | 房间是双层的 她可能在楼上 |
[55:00] | – There… there’s two floors? – Yeah. | -房间是双层的 -是的 |
[55:04] | It’s a big one. | 房间很大 |
[55:10] | So, here’s the pen and paper. | 纸和笔在这里 |
[55:14] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[55:16] | Okay. | 好了 |
[55:35] | Someday, that book’s gonna end. | 总有一天这本书会看完的 |
[55:49] | I want to lead you today | 今天我想跟大家 |
[55:52] | on a… on a tour | 分享一下 |
[55:55] | through the landscape of my inspiration. | 我的灵感历程 |
[56:00] | Sometimes the sources that a writer uses | 有时候作家写作的灵感 |
[56:04] | are very close to home… | 是非常私密的 |
[56:07] | Family, friends, enemies. | 家人 朋友 敌人 |
[56:14] | And sometimes our source is a visitor | 有时候我们的灵感来自 |
[56:17] | from another time, another universe. | 另一个时空 或者另一个宇宙 |
[56:21] | Blodwen Pugh… was a Welsh writer | 布洛德文·皮尤是上世纪末 |
[56:26] | at the turn of the last century, the end of the 19th century. | 19世纪末的威尔士作家 |
[56:30] | She worked in obscurity, she was completely unrecognized | 她默默无闻地写作 直到她死后很长时间 |
[56:35] | until well after her death. | 她的成就才被人们认可 |
[56:37] | And even now, she’s quite unfamiliar, | 即使到如今 即使在最顶尖的文学界 |
[56:40] | even to many in the most rarefied literary circles. She’s… | 她也不是很有名 |
[56:46] | She’s lost to us, | 我们失去了她 |
[56:47] | except for those who stand still enough to listen. | 除非有人能静静地聆听 |
[56:52] | The writings, her one remain… her one novel, | 她的作品 她留下来的一本小说 |
[56:55] | which is called, I think | 可以称为 |
[56:56] | it’s the masterpiece of that… of that era | 她那个时代的巨著 |
[57:02] | is called “Realm of the Owl.” | 书名叫《猫头鹰王国》 |
[57:04] | When I read this novel, | 读这本小说时 |
[57:07] | it’s… it’s impossible for me | 我忍不住思索 |
[57:11] | not to think what a miracle it is that this universe emerged. | 这个宇宙的诞生真是个奇迹 |
[57:15] | What a miracle it is that consciousness emerged. | 意识的出现真是个奇迹 |
[57:21] | You know? | 你们理解吗 |
[57:26] | And what a miracle it is that Blodwyn Pugh… | 实在是太神奇了 布洛德文·皮尤 |
[57:30] | her thoughts and experiences… | 她的思想和经历 |
[57:34] | that they could reach across time… | 它们能够穿越时空 |
[57:40] | and reach into my consciousness. | 抵达到我的意识中 |
[57:46] | That’s a miracle. | 这真是个奇迹 |
[57:49] | Any questions? | 有人要提问吗 |
[57:53] | Well, I have a question. | 我有一个问题 |
[57:56] | I mean, I don’t know, it certainly | 关于布洛德文·皮尤的 |
[57:57] | raise to Blodwyn Pugh’s “Realm of the Owl,” | 《猫头鹰王国》 你说得很好 |
[58:00] | but I have a question about “A Function of the Body”, | 但我的问题是关于《身体的功能》 |
[58:05] | and specifically when you were inspired to write it, | 尤其是你有灵感开始动笔的时候 |
[58:09] | did you always know you’ll | 你是否一直知道 |
[58:10] | gonna insert Georgia’s diaries through the book? | 自己会在这本书中会穿插乔治的日记 |
[58:16] | I thought it was exquisitely crafted in that way. | 我觉得这样的安排很巧妙 |
[58:22] | And, I mean, everyone knows it’s a very personal book. | 大家都知道这是一本非常私人的书 |
[58:25] | It’s known, so I don’t feel badly saying that. | 这点众所周知 所以我这么说也没有不妥 |
[58:29] | I mean, the way you did that with her… | 书中你的处理 |
[58:31] | With the loss of her sister, | 她失去了姐妹 |
[58:34] | the ne’er-do-well brother who’s sort of a psychopath, | 她那个游手好闲的哥哥精神不太正常 |
[58:38] | whom you need, you know, whom you need, | 你需要谁 你需要谁 |
[58:41] | and who you’re terrified of. | 以及你害怕谁 |
[58:45] | It… The way those diaries worked | 用日记的记叙方式 |
[58:47] | just raised it to the highest level of… of literature for me. | 在我看来 让它具备了文学作品的最高水准 |
[58:52] | I’m wondering how you… how you… how you did that. | 我想知道你是…你是怎么做到的 |
[58:57] | – Did you know you were gonna do it or– – Oh, thank you. | -你一开始就知道要这样写还是… -谢谢 |
[58:59] | Thank you very much for that question. | 非常感谢你的提问 |
[59:11] | – My dad, at least. – Oh, my. | -至少有我爸 -天啊 |
[59:14] | Oh, my. Oh. | 天啊 |
[59:16] | – Your friends have come. – My friends, I want you to meet Roberta. | -你的朋友们来了 -我的朋友们 这是罗伯塔 |
[59:20] | – Hello. – What a great pleasure. | -你好 -幸会 |
[59:22] | – And Susan. – What a good pleasure. | -这是苏珊 -幸会 |
[59:24] | Kelvin Kranz. And my nephew Tyler. | 这是凯尔文·克兰兹 这是我侄子泰勒 |
[59:27] | – Hey, Tyler. Handsome young man. – Oh, nice to meet you. | -泰勒 真是位帅气的年轻人 -很高兴认识你 |
[59:30] | Nice to meet you. So you all, you’re traveling together. | 很高兴认识你 你们一起旅行啊 |
[59:34] | Yes. You have a table full of fans here, you know? | 对 这一桌都是你的粉丝 |
[59:37] | Really? Well, that’s fantastic, you know. Thank you. | 真的吗 那真是太棒了 谢谢你们 |
[59:43] | So you must be all going to “The Toad and the Harrow”… | 你们一定都会去看《蛤蟆与耙》吧 |
[59:47] | – Oh, well, yes… – Are you taking your friends over? | -是的 -你要带你的朋友们去吗 |
[59:49] | – Is that what’s happening here? – Yes. | -是这样吗 -是的 |
[59:51] | But first, we’re gonna make a little pilgrimage | 但首先 我们要去卡迪夫郊外 |
[59:53] | to Blodwyn Pugh’s gravesite outside Cardiff. The convent. | 布洛德文·皮尤的墓地朝圣 那所修道院 |
[59:59] | – How wonderful. That’s special. – Yeah, yeah, I think… | -太棒了 很特别 -是啊 我觉得 |
[1:00:02] | I think it’ll be sort of special, but… | 我觉得还算特别 但是 |
[1:00:07] | I wanted to ask you, | 我想问你 |
[1:00:08] | how long does it take you to write one of your… | 你写一本书要花多长时间 |
[1:00:11] | – one of your books? – To write one? | -写一本 -写一本 |
[1:00:15] | Well, I spend about, maybe, | 我大概用 |
[1:00:18] | a month outlining it, and then, maybe, three months writing it, | 一个月写大纲 然后估计用三个月写书 |
[1:00:25] | so maybe four months… | 所以总共四个月 |
[1:00:27] | At the outside, some of them maybe four and a half. | 最多的情况下 有些书需要四个半月 |
[1:00:30] | I try to… I’ve never done anything faster than three months. | 我试过…我最少也得要三个月 |
[1:00:34] | That’s longer than I thought. | 比我想象的要久 |
[1:00:37] | Well… | 好吧 |
[1:00:39] | That’s interesting. It’s a process, isn’t it? | 有意思 也有流程 对吧 |
[1:00:44] | Well, I have a certain process. It’s pretty specific, you know? | 我有我自己的流程 很具体 |
[1:00:49] | Well, anyway… | 总之 |
[1:00:51] | – Congratulations on getting the prize. – Oh, thank you so much. | -恭喜你获奖了 -非常感谢 |
[1:00:54] | It’s a great honor. I think it’s very special. | 是很大的荣誉 我认为很特别 |
[1:00:57] | And what a pleasure to meet you all. | 也很高兴认识你们 |
[1:00:58] | – Thank you. – You too. | -谢谢你 -也谢谢你 |
[1:00:59] | – Take care. I’ll see you again, yeah. – Thank you. Thank you. | -保重 我们以后再见 -谢谢 谢谢 |
[1:01:02] | And you. I’ll see you again. Take care, bye-bye. | 还有你 我们以后再见 保重 再见 |
[1:01:05] | – Bye-bye. – Have a nice supper. | -再见 -晚餐愉快 |
[1:01:07] | Thank you. You too. | 谢谢 你也是 |
[1:01:12] | What a nice man. | 真是个好人 |
[1:01:16] | – What a gent, isn’t he? – What a gentleman. Classy. | -是个绅士吧 -真是个绅士 有风度 |
[1:01:23] | – Missed you today. – Yes, I know. I’m sorry. | -今天没见到你 -是 我知道 抱歉 |
[1:01:26] | – Why don’t we go now? Have a drink? – I can’t. I can’t. | -我们现在走吧 去喝一杯 -不行 |
[1:01:29] | – Why? – ‘Cause I’m going to the gala. | -为什么 -因为我要去参加晚会 |
[1:01:31] | Oh, the gala. | 晚会啊 |
[1:01:34] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[1:01:47] | They’re such iconic characters. | 他们是非常具有代表性的角色 |
[1:01:49] | It is perfect for American | 现在很适合加入一些 |
[1:01:50] | characters right now because the border of… | 美国人的角色 因为边界… |
[1:01:55] | – You’re here. Great. – You guys have met, haven’t you? | -你来了 太好了 -你们见过吧 |
[1:01:57] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[1:01:58] | How’s it going? Sorry to interrupt. | 你们好吗 抱歉打扰了 |
[1:02:00] | No, you’re not interrupting at all. | 不 你完全没有打扰到 |
[1:02:01] | – We’re just finishing. Good to see you. – Good to see you, man. | -我们刚聊完 很高兴见到你 -很高兴见到你 |
[1:02:05] | – Leave you to it. To be continued? – Yes. | -你们先聊吧 未完待续 -好 |
[1:02:08] | – We’ll see each other again soon. – Yeah. | -我们以后再见 -好 |
[1:02:11] | – Sorry to run you out of town. – No, are you kidding? | -抱歉把你赶走了 -没事 别开玩笑了 |
[1:02:15] | Have a good one. | 祝你愉快 |
[1:02:17] | – How’s it going? – Does he know who you are? | -你好吗 -他知道你是谁吗 |
[1:02:22] | Oh, yeah. Yeah, he knows, he knows. | 是的 是的 他知道 他知道 |
[1:02:25] | – And that doesn’t bother you? – He’s cool. Don’t worry. | -你不觉得困扰吗 -没关系的 别担心 |
[1:02:27] | No, he… He’s not gonna say anything. Don’t worry. | 不 他…他什么都不会说的 别担心 |
[1:02:31] | So you know that him and Alice are now friends, they’re talking. | 你知道他和爱丽丝现在是朋友了 他们会聊天 |
[1:02:35] | Yeah. Yeah, no, I, um… | 是 是 不 我… |
[1:02:37] | Actually, I told him everything and… | 其实 我把一切都告诉他了 |
[1:02:41] | He found the whole thing quite amusing, actually. | 而他觉得这件事很有意思 |
[1:02:45] | And he gave me some good advice. He, uh… | 他给了我一些好建议 他… |
[1:02:48] | He told me he thinks it’s probably not gonna be a good idea | 他让我最好不要在旅途中 |
[1:02:51] | for me to approach Alice on this trip, | 接近爱丽丝 |
[1:02:53] | so I’m gonna back off, and… | 所以我就不插手了 |
[1:02:57] | – Yeah, I think he’s right. – Great. | -我觉得他说得对 -很好 |
[1:03:16] | 《神游状态》 凯尔文·克兰兹 | |
[1:03:42] | Did you get that note, by the way, that we left in your room? | 对了 你收到我们放在你房间的字条了吗 |
[1:03:46] | What… A note is nothing. | 什么…字条不算数 |
[1:03:48] | I mean, she made a date with me, and, for tea. | 我是说 她约了我一起喝茶 |
[1:03:53] | And I went, and I interrupted my work. | 然后我就去了 打断了我的工作 |
[1:03:56] | It’s not like I have hours and hours to wander the ship… | 我又没有那么多时间在船上闲逛 |
[1:04:00] | – Right. – And, you know, meet men. | -是的 -还去认识男人 |
[1:04:02] | This is not what I’m here for. | 我不是来干这个的 |
[1:04:03] | So you went, and then what happened? | 所以你去了 然后发生了什么 |
[1:04:05] | I went to tea at two o’clock sharp, and there she was, | 我两点准时去喝茶 而她在那 |
[1:04:08] | sitting there like a beanbag next to this dodo who was her date. | 像个懒人沙发一样瘫在她的蠢货男伴旁边 |
[1:04:14] | And, clearly, I wasn’t, you know… | 显然 我没有… |
[1:04:17] | So she canceled it? It was canceled. You didn’t meet with her. | 所以她取消了 你没跟她喝茶 |
[1:04:20] | Well, I don’t know what we were supposed to do, | 我不知道我们该做什么 |
[1:04:22] | have a meeting with a… | 喝茶时身边有个… |
[1:04:26] | – A dodo? – A person that… Yes. | -蠢货 -有别人在 是的 |
[1:04:29] | I shouldn’t say that. | 我不该这么说 |
[1:04:30] | He’s probably a perfectly nice, unsuspecting man, | 他可能是个非常善良 毫不知情的人 |
[1:04:34] | who didn’t know that he was, | 他自己不知道 |
[1:04:37] | you know, in the talons of a carrion bird. | 已经落入了秃鹰的魔爪 |
[1:04:40] | But I don’t know what… I don’t know what she’s… | 但我不知道…我不知道她… |
[1:04:43] | I don’t know what she wants, because I just want to reach her. | 我不知道她想要什么 因为我只想跟她聊聊 |
[1:04:47] | Right. | 没错 |
[1:04:48] | Do you remember when you and Alice and I met in San Francisco | 你还记得你 爱丽丝和我很多年前 |
[1:04:51] | all those years ago? | 在旧金山认识的时候吗 |
[1:04:53] | That’s when it all hit the fan. | 当时就出了问题 |
[1:04:58] | I just was desperate to confide in someone, | 我只是迫切地想向人倾诉 |
[1:05:03] | and the two of you were the closest I’ve ever been with, so… | 而你们俩是我最亲近的人 所以… |
[1:05:10] | When we had dinner at the bar afterward, | 之后我们在酒吧吃晚餐时 |
[1:05:13] | you went upstairs and went to bed, | 你上楼睡觉去了 |
[1:05:14] | and it was just me and Alice, and I thought… | 只剩我和爱丽丝 我当时想 |
[1:05:18] | “Well, Alice has always been interested in other people’s lives.” | “爱丽丝一直对别人的生活感兴趣” |
[1:05:25] | And then I made the fatal mistake of telling Alice everything. | 然后我犯了个致命的错误 把一切告诉爱丽丝了 |
[1:05:33] | What I realize is… | 我意识到 |
[1:05:36] | if you can’t keep a secret yourself… | 如果连自己都保守不了秘密 |
[1:05:40] | You can’t ask anyone else to keep a secret. | 就别奢求别人保守秘密了 |
[1:05:45] | It’s true. | 是真的 |
[1:05:49] | It’s true. | 是真的 |
[1:06:08] | What I’m gonna tell you is this. | 我要告诉你的是 |
[1:06:14] | I didn’t go upstairs to sleep that night. | 那晚我并没有上楼睡觉 |
[1:06:20] | There was a really… A really cute waiter, | 有一个非常…非常可爱的服务生 |
[1:06:25] | and… | 然后… |
[1:06:30] | This is a… | 这是 |
[1:06:33] | Double letter, triple word. | 两倍分字母 三倍分单词 |
[1:06:38] | – Baby. – I hate you. | -宝贝 -我恨你 |
[1:06:41] | Bow down, bitch. Bow down. | 认输吧 妹子 认输吧 |
[1:06:44] | They have this incredible night together. They get really drunk. | 他们共度了一个美妙的夜晚 喝得酩酊大醉 |
[1:06:47] | They drink loads of cocktails. | 他们喝了很多鸡尾酒 |
[1:06:49] | And, yeah, they just get on really well. They hook up. | 是的 他们相处得很好 勾搭上了 |
[1:06:53] | And she doesn’t know that this guy is actually just a bartender. | 她不知道这个人其实只是个酒保 |
[1:06:57] | Like, he’s not a rich guy or anything, like… | 他不是有钱人什么的 |
[1:07:01] | But they fall for each other, and it’s this comedy of errors. | 但他们相爱了 这就是出错误的闹剧 |
[1:07:06] | It’s kind of a farce. But they end up falling for each other, | 有点像闹剧 但他们最终相爱了 |
[1:07:10] | despite the fact that they both pretend | 尽管他们都假装 |
[1:07:12] | to be something that they’re not. | 自己是别的身份 |
[1:07:13] | Which is kind of the… yeah, the whole thing. | 这有点…对 整件事就是这样了 |
[1:07:16] | And do you know who plays the guy? | 你知道谁演那个男的吗 |
[1:07:18] | He’s this… He’s this comedian. | 他是个…他是个喜剧演员 |
[1:07:20] | He’s so funny. He’s got this amazing face. | 他很幽默 还有一张迷人的面孔 |
[1:07:23] | But it’s just such a charming film. | 但这部电影太有魅力了 |
[1:07:25] | – You have to see it. It’s brilliant. – I want to see it. | -你一定要看看 太精彩了 -我想看 |
[1:07:28] | I’m trying to think of, like… | 我在想 |
[1:07:29] | I was actually in a comedy of errors | 我六年级的时候 其实就身处 |
[1:07:31] | when I was in sixth grade, so when you brought that up… | 一出错误的闹剧 所以你提到这个的时候… |
[1:07:39] | Karen? | 凯伦 |
[1:07:45] | And Tyler? | 和泰勒 |
[1:07:53] | Wait. | 等等 |
[1:08:03] | So you lied for her because… | 所以你为她撒谎是因为… |
[1:08:08] | you like her. | 你喜欢她 |
[1:08:18] | That’s… that’s as good a reason to lie as any I can think of. | 这是…这是我能想到的最好的撒谎理由 |
[1:08:29] | So… | 那么 |
[1:08:38] | You’re gonna see her tonight? | 你今晚要见她吗 |
[1:08:42] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[1:08:53] | Who’s that man I keep | 我总在早上看到 |
[1:08:54] | seeing coming out of your room in the morning? | 从你房里出来的那个男人是谁 |
[1:09:03] | That man. | 那个男人啊 |
[1:09:11] | That man is… | 那个男人是 |
[1:09:14] | probably the one thing that keeps me going. | 或许是唯一支撑我活下去的动力 |
[1:09:21] | Besides you. | 除了你之外的 |
[1:09:24] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[1:09:25] | They all take ballroom-dancing classes on this ship. | 这船上的人都去上交谊舞课 |
[1:09:30] | So, when they go to the gala, | 所以去参加晚会的时候 |
[1:09:32] | they want to show off what they’ve learned, | 他们想炫耀一下自己的学习成果 |
[1:09:35] | and they take it very… | 而且他们非常… |
[1:09:38] | How are you? What a surprise. | 你们好吗 真是个惊喜 |
[1:09:39] | – Fine, fine. – Very breezy day to have… | -很好 很好 -今天天气很好 很适合… |
[1:09:42] | – Yeah, I love the fog. – an intimate little discussion. | -是 我喜欢雾 -进行亲密的讨论 |
[1:09:46] | – You know, I’ve been thinking about you. – Really? | -我一直都在想着你 -真的吗 |
[1:09:50] | Well, one of the women that I work with | 我的一个女同事 |
[1:09:55] | poisoned her husband, who was a batterer, | 毒死了家暴她的丈夫 |
[1:09:59] | and guess where she got the idea. | 猜猜她是怎么想到这个主意的 |
[1:10:02] | From my first wife, of course. | 当然是从我第一任妻子那里 |
[1:10:05] | – Or maybe my second wife. – Oh, my gosh. Oh, my gosh. | -也可能是我第二任妻子 -天啊 天啊 |
[1:10:09] | – No, no, but now I know a lot about you. – Yes. | -不是 不是 但我现在对你更了解了 -是吗 |
[1:10:13] | No. From an early Agatha Christie book. | 不 是从阿加莎·克里斯蒂早期的一本书里 |
[1:10:16] | The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. | 《罗杰疑案》 |
[1:10:18] | Exactly. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. | 没错 《罗杰疑案》 |
[1:10:21] | Well, I kept that away from her. | 我没让我妻子看那本书 |
[1:10:25] | And that’s why you still stand. | 所以你还能站在这里 |
[1:10:26] | So you’ve been thinking about poisoning, | 所以你一直在思考下毒 |
[1:10:29] | but why? I mean, just because… | 但为什么呢 就因为… |
[1:10:31] | Oh, no, because I… | 不 因为我 |
[1:10:33] | This woman was incarcerated | 这个女人去坐牢了 |
[1:10:35] | for trying to save her child and herself. | 因为她想救她的孩子和她自己 |
[1:10:38] | And she didn’t want to kill him, she just wanted to disable him | 她不想杀他 只是想让他残废 |
[1:10:41] | so she could stop the violence. | 停止他的家暴 |
[1:10:44] | But he died. | 但他死了 |
[1:10:46] | – I’m so sorry. That’s awful. – Yes, it is awful. | -真遗憾 太可怕了 -是的 很可怕 |
[1:10:49] | Do you deal with a lot of people who poison? | 你和很多下毒的人打交道吗 |
[1:10:51] | I do. Oh, no, no. Not so many… | 没错 不 不 没那么多… |
[1:10:54] | I mean, they take whatever weapon… | 我是说他们只是举起 |
[1:10:57] | the domes– Is in the person’s hand. | 手中仅有的武器 |
[1:11:01] | – And… – Can I join you? Do you mind if I sit down? | -然后… -我能加入你们吗 我可以坐下吗 |
[1:11:04] | – Of course, sit down. – No, join us. | -当然 请坐 -可以 加入我们吧 |
[1:11:05] | – I’ve been fascinated by poison lately. – Why? | -我最近对毒药很感兴趣 -为什么 |
[1:11:08] | I’m thinking about writing | 我在考虑写 |
[1:11:09] | something about someone who poisons people. | 关于下毒毒死他人的故事 |
[1:11:12] | I think it’s… I think, philosophically, poisoning is a… | 我觉得…我觉得从哲学上讲 下毒是一种… |
[1:11:18] | a very intimate way to kill someone, and it’s also very cruel. | 一种非常亲密的杀人方式 也很残忍 |
[1:12:39] | 《沸点》 凯尔文·克兰兹 | |
[1:12:43] | How is that? | 好看吗 |
[1:12:47] | Very compelling. | 扣人心弦 |
[1:13:11] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[1:13:12] | – Sorry I’m late. Thank you. – Hello. | -抱歉 我迟到了 谢谢 -你好 |
[1:13:18] | – Everybody well? – Everybody’s well. | -大家都好吗 -大家都很好 |
[1:13:20] | – How is work going? – Oh, well, not as… | -写作怎么样 -没有… |
[1:13:25] | Not as well as I’d like. | 没有我预期的那么顺利 |
[1:13:28] | – Thank you. – You’re welcome. | -谢谢 -不客气 |
[1:13:32] | Where’s Tyler? | 泰勒呢 |
[1:13:35] | Not coming. | 不来了 |
[1:13:38] | – No? – He has a date. | -是吗 -他有约会 |
[1:13:42] | – Who with? – Uh, someone he met on the ship. | -和谁 -他在船上认识的一个人 |
[1:13:50] | So… | 是的 |
[1:13:53] | An older woman… Apparently. | 是个比他大的女人 |
[1:13:55] | – An older woman? How much older? – Like, in her 80s? | -比他大的女人 有多大 -八十多岁吗 |
[1:14:02] | I would be surprised if that were the case. | 如果真是这样 我会很意外的 |
[1:14:05] | – But he probably means 26 or… – Oh, right. | -他可能是指二十六岁或者 -这样啊 |
[1:14:09] | Thirty-six. | 三十六岁 |
[1:14:11] | Thirty-six would be a significant difference. | 三十六岁那可就是天差地别了 |
[1:14:15] | – Or more. Who knows? – Really? | -可能年纪更大 谁知道呢 -真的吗 |
[1:14:18] | I can’t tell people’s ages anymore. | 我已经判断不出人们的年龄了 |
[1:14:20] | – No, I can’t either. – I really can’t. | -我也是 -我真不行 |
[1:14:24] | Alice, I don’t know what your schedule is, | 爱丽丝 我不知道你是什么安排 |
[1:14:26] | but if you’re free tomorrow before or after you swim, | 但如果你明天游泳之前或之后有空的话 |
[1:14:30] | maybe we could have a tea or a drink. | 我们可以一起去喝茶或者喝酒 |
[1:14:35] | Well, I… | 我 |
[1:14:39] | I would love to do that, | 我很乐意 |
[1:14:40] | but I actually have a business meeting tomorrow. | 但我明天有个商务会议 |
[1:14:42] | – Oh, sorry. – I don’t know if I’ll get my swim in. | -那算了 -我都不知道有没有空游泳 |
[1:14:46] | Who knows how long it’ll go on or what will happen in it? | 谁知道要开会要开多久 会出什么岔子呢 |
[1:14:51] | But let’s do it another time. | 我们改时间再约吧 |
[1:14:52] | – Promise? – Yeah, I’d love to. Great. | -说好了啊 -当然可以 没问题 |
[1:14:58] | – Quite a day. – Yeah. | -今天可真够折腾的 -是啊 |
[1:15:02] | Shocking. | 太惊人了 |
[1:15:05] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[1:15:08] | How you feeling? | 你感觉如何 |
[1:15:12] | I’m feeling okay, actually. Kind of… | 还挺好的 有点… |
[1:15:16] | – A bit relieved, to be honest. – Yeah. | -老实说 反而松了口气 -是的 |
[1:15:21] | I should actually say to you, like… | 我应该跟你说… |
[1:15:28] | Yeah, I feel like I should apologize a bit. | 我觉得我应该向你道歉 |
[1:15:29] | I feel bad for dragging you into this whole thing. | 把你牵涉进这件事 我很内疚 |
[1:15:32] | I know you didn’t want to lie to your aunt, | 我知道你不想在你姑姑面前说谎 |
[1:15:34] | and I slightly twisted your arm | 但我还是稍微强迫了你 |
[1:15:36] | and I feel bad about that, | 对此我很内疚 |
[1:15:38] | and she clearly thinks so highly of you. | 她很器重你 |
[1:15:42] | She loves you. She thinks, you know, she thinks the world of you, | 她很爱你 她也非常看重你 |
[1:15:45] | and that was obvious when I spoke to her today. And I think… | 我今天和她聊天时就感觉得到 我想… |
[1:15:50] | That was probably part of the reason why | 这可能也是 |
[1:15:51] | she was so forgiving towards me. So… | 她对我如此宽容的原因 所以 |
[1:15:55] | Thank you for… | 谢谢你 |
[1:15:57] | Yeah, thanks for everything this, this week. | 谢谢你在这周做的一切 |
[1:15:59] | – Oh, well… – You’ve been amazing. | -这个嘛 -你很棒 |
[1:16:01] | And I know I’ve also completely | 我也知道 |
[1:16:04] | inappropriately unloaded a whole load of stuff onto you | 我非常不得体地朝你狂吐了苦水 |
[1:16:06] | that I probably shouldn’t have done, | 我可能不该那么做 |
[1:16:08] | so I’m sorry about that, and… | 很抱歉 然后 |
[1:16:11] | – Yeah, thank you. – Well, that’s… That’s sweet of you. | -对 谢谢你 -这…你真好 |
[1:16:14] | I appreciate that acknowledgement, and I… | 谢谢你这么说 我… |
[1:16:21] | It’s been… It’s so been my pleasure getting to know you, and… | 其实…能认识你是我的荣幸 |
[1:16:25] | I was skeptical at first | 我一开始很怀疑 |
[1:16:27] | about what our relationship would look like. | 我们的关系会变成怎样 |
[1:16:30] | And I just felt like… | 我就是觉得 |
[1:16:33] | I don’t know. I just really wanted to get to know you, | 我也不确定 我就是很想去了解你 |
[1:16:35] | and I’m excited to hopefully continue to get to know you. And… | 我也很期待能够继续了解你 |
[1:16:42] | I don’t know, maybe, you know, what our… what… | 说不定我们 我们… |
[1:16:45] | What our life can look like… moving forward. | 我们的关系能在未来更进一步 |
[1:16:50] | Like, I don’t know. There’s just… | 我不知道该怎么说 就是 |
[1:16:53] | Maybe, um… | 或许 |
[1:16:56] | It’s just been probably one of the biggest gifts | 可能是这次航行 |
[1:17:00] | of the… the ship for me has been… | 带给我的最棒的其中一份礼物 |
[1:17:06] | Getting to know you, so… | 就是能够认识你 |
[1:17:18] | I was, uh, wondering if… | 我想问你 |
[1:17:27] | I know this is kind of a crazy question, but… | 我知道这个问题很荒唐 但是 |
[1:17:34] | If maybe you wanted to… | 你想不想… |
[1:17:41] | If… | 如果… |
[1:17:43] | You’re not gonna ask me out, are you? | 你不会是想跟我约会吧 |
[1:17:47] | I’m joking, I’m joking. You just suddenly looked so awkward. | 我开玩笑的 你突然就变得特别羞涩 |
[1:17:49] | Right. Right. I did. I was… | 是的 没错 我是想… |
[1:17:51] | I was wondering if maybe I could kiss you at some point soon. | 我是想我能不能在不久的将来和你接吻 |
[1:18:11] | Fuck. | 靠 |
[1:18:17] | Oh, shit. | 该死 |
[1:18:43] | I think I… | 我好像 |
[1:18:47] | made a… | 让自己 |
[1:18:49] | a bit of a fool of myself. | 出洋相了 |
[1:18:58] | In what way? | 哪种洋相 |
[1:19:00] | I just… I made some kind | 我就是去 |
[1:19:03] | of an advance that didn’t… That went un… | 追求了别人 但结果… |
[1:19:07] | Unreciprocated. | 求而不得 |
[1:19:15] | Well, you can’t… | 你也不能… |
[1:19:19] | I hope you don’t regret that. | 你不后悔就行 |
[1:19:22] | That’s… that’s… The trying is all. You know? | 努力尝试过就够了 真的 |
[1:19:28] | If you don’t try, if you don’t risk… | 要是不去尝试 不去冒险… |
[1:19:32] | That’s good to know. | 你这么说真好 |
[1:19:37] | I mean, it’s… you shouldn’t be shy with this kind of thing, | 这种事没什么好难为情的 |
[1:19:41] | this… this attraction to someone. | 这种爱慕之情 |
[1:19:46] | I think attraction is… | 我觉得这种吸引力 |
[1:19:48] | It’s the animating force in the universe, really. | 是宇宙中最为鲜活的力量 |
[1:19:53] | – That’s a fact. – Well, like… | -确实 -就像是 |
[1:19:58] | Gravity or the pull of the poles, | 地心引力 或是地球两极的吸引力 |
[1:20:01] | what pulls the monarch butterflies… | 还有让帝王蝶 |
[1:20:07] | to fly across the world. | 迁徙至世界各地的引力 |
[1:20:09] | If you feel attracted to someone from your heart, | 如果你打从心底被一个人吸引 |
[1:20:13] | you know… and you look at them | 你看向那个人 |
[1:20:16] | and you feel and you can see their soul… | 你觉得能看见那个人的灵魂 |
[1:20:20] | That’s… | 这… |
[1:20:23] | There is… | 想要… |
[1:20:26] | There’s no bad version of that, | 想要经历这种感觉 |
[1:20:31] | to want to be a part of that. | 一定是好事 |
[1:20:34] | And we should… | 我们应该 |
[1:20:37] | Oh, God… treasure it. It’s, it’s… | 天呐 珍惜这种感觉 |
[1:20:41] | We’re lucky to have that feeling. | 因为能感知到爱是我们的幸运 |
[1:20:44] | It’s the greatest, it’s the fullest… | 那是让人感觉活着的 |
[1:20:48] | expression of what it is to be alive. | 最美好 最饱满的表达形式 |
[1:20:51] | So… | 是的 |
[1:20:54] | Do you think you’ll, you’ll… | 你觉得你会… |
[1:20:57] | How did it end? I mean, do you think you’ll try again? | 结果如何 我是说 你会再尝试一次吗 |
[1:21:01] | – No. – No? | -不会了 -不会 |
[1:21:03] | No. No. | 不了 |
[1:21:08] | You know, Suze, I am convinced | 苏珊 我确定 |
[1:21:12] | she asked me on this trip to | 她邀我来这次旅行 |
[1:21:14] | find out what happened to me after my divorce. | 是为了弄清楚我离婚后过得如何 |
[1:21:18] | She wants to write about it as a sequel to her fucking book. | 她想当素材写进她那本破书的续作 |
[1:21:23] | – I know it. – No. | -肯定的 -不是 |
[1:21:24] | – I know it. – No. You’ve got to ask her. | -绝对的 -不 你得去问她 |
[1:21:28] | – No. – You have to be direct and ask her. | -不 -你应该直截了当地问她 |
[1:21:31] | You know, you heard those things she said during that talk. | 你也听到了她之前说的 |
[1:21:34] | She uses things and people from her life. | 她会写在生活中遇到的人和事 |
[1:21:38] | Well, I’m… I’m one of those people. | 我就是那群人里的一个 |
[1:21:41] | I know you are. I know you are. | 我知道 我知道 |
[1:21:43] | But that’s what writers do, | 但作家不就是这样吗 |
[1:21:44] | and she never meant to hurt you, I promise you. | 她绝对没有伤害你的意思 我向你保证 |
[1:21:47] | – She never meant to hurt you. – She doesn’t care, Susan. | -她从未想过要伤害你 -她根本不在乎 苏珊 |
[1:21:49] | I think she does care. She cares about you. | 我觉得她在乎 她很在乎你 |
[1:21:53] | And why would she be writing about you again? | 而且她再写你的事又有什么意义呢 |
[1:21:55] | She loves you. She’s obsessed with you. | 她那么爱你 那么痴迷于你 |
[1:21:58] | She said she uses people from her life, | 她说了她会写在生活中遇到的人 |
[1:22:01] | and she is going to use me in this sequel. | 她会在续作里再一次利用我 |
[1:22:04] | I don’t believe that, dear. I really don’t. | 我不信 亲爱的 完全不信 |
[1:22:07] | I know it could seem that way if you twist it. | 我知道如果曲解的话确实是这样 |
[1:22:11] | If you twist it the other way, | 前提是曲解她的原意 |
[1:22:14] | you know, she has the same memories we do | 她对于我们在一起的日子的回忆 |
[1:22:16] | of our days together. | 与我们的不差毫厘 |
[1:22:18] | – They’re sacred. – Yeah. | -那些回忆很神圣 -是啊 |
[1:22:20] | Maybe not sacred. That’s a little pompous. | 也不是神圣 这么说太浮夸了 |
[1:22:25] | But you know what I mean, | 但你懂我的意思 |
[1:22:26] | what we were talking about the other day. | 我们那天聊到的往事 |
[1:22:28] | – She has those, too. – Yeah, but she’s very different now. | -她也记忆犹新 -嗯 但她现在大变样了 |
[1:22:32] | I know she is. She really has changed. | 我知道 她确实变了 |
[1:22:35] | She’s changed so much. | 变化太大了 |
[1:22:37] | – Did she always talk like that? – No. | -她以前说话也像那样吗 -不是 |
[1:22:39] | – She didn’t? – Did not. | -没有吗 -没有 |
[1:22:41] | – I wonder why she talks like that. – I know. | -她怎么说话怪里怪气的 -可不是吗 |
[1:22:56] | Just so you know, she’s invited me to dinner with all of you. | 告诉你一声 她邀请我和你们一起用晚餐 |
[1:23:01] | Oh, fuck. | 完了 |
[1:23:03] | Karen’s very hopeful about the publishing business, actually. | 凯伦其实对出版业还是很看好的 |
[1:23:07] | I mean, against all reason, in my opinion, | 不过我不懂是出于何种原因 |
[1:23:10] | but if you could talk a little | 但你可以稍微说一说 |
[1:23:11] | about what the agency is going to do now and in the future. | 出版社目前和未来的打算 |
[1:23:16] | – The old dead wood has been moved aside. – Yes. It’s… | -现在已经裁减完冗员了 -是的 |
[1:23:19] | It’s been an interesting time. | 这段时间很有意思 |
[1:23:21] | There have been quite a few changes at the agency, | 出版社经历了大变动 |
[1:23:23] | but I feel very optimistic | 但我还是很看好 |
[1:23:25] | about what we’re going to be doing going forward. | 我们出版社在后续的动作 |
[1:23:28] | And I… We’ve got exciting plans for Alice. | 我们也为爱丽丝制定了令人激动的计划 |
[1:23:31] | You know, Sonia did tell me | 索尼娅确实和我说了 |
[1:23:32] | that Alice was quite secretive about her work. | 爱丽丝对她的作品神神秘秘的 |
[1:23:36] | – But I had no idea how secretive. – Well, I… | -我之前不知道是有多神秘 -这个嘛 |
[1:23:40] | I mean, I still haven’t been able to deduce | 我还是没办法推断出 |
[1:23:41] | which of your literary characters that you are reviving. | 你会重新搬出哪位笔下人物 |
[1:23:47] | I do hope it’s Rowena from You Always, You Never. | 我希望是《你总是 你从未》里的罗维娜 |
[1:23:50] | Yes, yes. I would love to know | 是的 我也很想知道 |
[1:23:52] | what Rowena has been up to the last 35 years. | 罗维娜在过去35年间经历了什么 |
[1:23:56] | Oh, dear, you know… | 亲爱的 你也知道 |
[1:23:58] | Let me just say. | 我这么说吧 |
[1:24:00] | – On this subject… – I think everyone cares. | -关于题材… -大家应该都很关心吧 |
[1:24:02] | – No. – Rowena… | -怎么会 -罗维娜… |
[1:24:04] | I don’t think anybody really cares. | 应该没人关心她吧 |
[1:24:06] | What became of Rowena after her disastrous marriage? | 在她灾难般的婚姻后 罗维娜变成了什么样 |
[1:24:09] | Did she find love again? Did she get another career? | 她又找到真爱了吗 有新事业了吗 |
[1:24:13] | Did she have a child? | 她有孩子了吗 |
[1:24:15] | Rowena is a beloved literary character. What, what… | 罗维娜是个很讨喜的文学人物 |
[1:24:19] | – She is. She is. – Bert, Bert. | -她确实是 -伯塔 伯塔 |
[1:24:22] | What I want to say about this… And… | 对于这件事我想说… |
[1:24:26] | I should clarify for you | 我应该跟你澄清一下 |
[1:24:28] | that whatever character I write about, is essentially about me. | 我笔下的所有人物 主要写的都是我 |
[1:24:32] | I mean, honestly, that’s what authors do. Don’t they? | 老实说 这不就是作家会做的事吗 |
[1:24:35] | – Let me… Just… I don’t think… – And another thing… | -我有话说…我觉得 -另外… |
[1:24:39] | I have ever been at a table | 我从来没有和 |
[1:24:42] | with two more self-obsessed people. | 两个如此自恋的人一起用餐过 |
[1:24:45] | I don’t think I ever have. This is a first. This is a first. | 完全没有 这是第一次 第一次 |
[1:24:52] | We care for each other. Do we? | 我们都关心彼此 是吗 |
[1:24:55] | – Do we care for each other? – Yes, of course. | -我们关心彼此吗 -当然 |
[1:24:58] | Yes. We do care for each other. | 没错 我们关心彼此 |
[1:25:01] | This happened in your youth. | 这是你年轻的时候发生的事 |
[1:25:03] | This happened so long… In your youth. | 很久以前…你那时很年轻 |
[1:25:07] | And today, this very day, we have lived most of our lives. | 而就在今天 我们都七老八十了 |
[1:25:14] | Right? Are you gonna continue this ancient battle | 不是吗 你们还要为了这场古老的仇怨 |
[1:25:20] | for the little time that remains to us? | 继续浪费我们剩下不多的生命吗 |
[1:25:24] | Do you even know what happened yesterday | 你们知道昨天发生了什么吗 |
[1:25:27] | when we were out of communication with the world? | 我们完全与世界脱节了 |
[1:25:30] | Do you know what happened? | 你知道发生了什么吗 |
[1:25:32] | You don’t know what happened. | 你不知道 |
[1:25:33] | – Do you know what happened? – No. | -你呢 -不知道 |
[1:25:34] | – Does anyone know what happened? – I was working, so I wasn’t… | -有谁知道吗 -我在写作 所以… |
[1:25:36] | Well, of course you were working. You’re always working. | 你当然在写作了 你就没有闲着的时候 |
[1:25:38] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:25:41] | Elon Musk… | 埃隆·马斯克 |
[1:25:45] | sent many, many telecom satellites into the sky | 将很多个通信卫星发射向了天空 |
[1:25:51] | that look exactly like stars, | 它们长得和星星一模一样 |
[1:25:55] | exactly like stars. | 一模一样 |
[1:25:56] | So now when humans gaze at the night sky, | 所以现在 当人类凝望夜空时 |
[1:26:01] | they won’t know if they’re gazing at a star or at a machine. | 他们无法得知仰望的到底是星星还是机器 |
[1:26:08] | And we at this table, at this little table, | 而坐在这张小小餐桌旁的我们 |
[1:26:14] | we are among the last, the very last, | 是最后最后一批 |
[1:26:19] | ever, ever, | 后无来者 |
[1:26:21] | to have seen the actual, real, | 能够在海洋上毫无保留地看见 |
[1:26:26] | the honest, truthful night sky from the ocean. | 真实的 千真万确的 实实在在的夜空的人 |
[1:26:32] | We saw stars… | 我们看到的是星星 |
[1:26:35] | Just stars. | 只有星星 |
[1:27:13] | – Are you packed? – I’m killing it. | -你收拾好行李了吗 -我要干掉它 |
[1:27:17] | – Yeah? Killing it with the bags? – No. | -是吗 把行李都干掉吗 -不是 |
[1:27:24] | No, my book. | 我是说我的书 |
[1:27:32] | I deleted it… from my computer. | 我把它从电脑上删除了 |
[1:27:36] | I deleted it all. | 全都删了 |
[1:27:40] | And I threw the hard copy in the recycling. | 我还把打印稿扔进了回收垃圾箱 |
[1:27:44] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:27:46] | It’s… | 这… |
[1:27:54] | You know what? It’s like | 你知道吗 感觉就像 |
[1:27:55] | polishing the vase when the house is falling down. | 在房子崩塌时还忙着擦拭花瓶 |
[1:28:05] | You don’t know. | 你不懂 |
[1:28:07] | You don’t know what I’m talking about. | 你不懂我在说什么 |
[1:28:11] | Anyway, I’m gonna… | 总之 我要… |
[1:28:14] | ask you to bring the bigger bags down for me, okay? | 麻烦你帮我把大行李包拿下来 好吗 |
[1:30:40] | I think the words matter. I do think they matter. | 我觉得用词很重要 十分重要 |
[1:30:45] | Which ones you choose to | 你选择用何种用词 |
[1:30:46] | describe something or to express something. | 来描述或表达什么 |
[1:30:50] | It takes time to worry those into existence, | 需要时间苦思冥想反复揣摩 |
[1:30:55] | the right one, the right one. | 找到合适的 合适的那个词 |
[1:30:57] | There’s only one that’s right. | 只有那么一个恰到好处的词 |
[1:31:01] | I lament… You know, sometimes I wait, | 我会哀叹 有时候我等着 |
[1:31:04] | I wait for a word to come to me. | 等待着那个词出现在脑海里 |
[1:31:05] | I wait… I’ll wait a week. | 我一直等 能等上一周 |
[1:31:09] | No, but it amused me on this– on the, on the ship | 不过在船上的时候 我觉得很有意思 |
[1:31:12] | how they were so eager that | 他们那么急切 |
[1:31:14] | we not use the word “boat” to describe the ship | 不想让我们用”船”来形容渡轮 |
[1:31:18] | because “boat” is sort of a diminutive… | 因为”船”似乎有点太小了 |
[1:31:23] | Or when they would say don’t call it a “cruise”. | 他们还会说别管这叫”航游” |
[1:31:26] | It’s not a cruise. It’s a crossing. | 这不是航游 而是趟横渡 |
[1:31:33] | And it is a crossing. | 也确实是趟横渡 |
[1:31:35] | It’s… crossing time zones. You feel them. | 它在穿越时区 能感觉得到 |
[1:31:39] | Yes, you do. | 确实有感觉 |
[1:31:41] | Crossing into something unknown. | 穿越到未知的领域 |
[1:31:44] | I mean, it’s… the cruise just seems meandering and… | 航游听起来就有点漫无目的 |
[1:31:48] | and silly. | 而且有点蠢 |
[1:31:53] | Alice… | 爱丽丝 |
[1:31:56] | What I’m trying to reconcile is | 我想理解的是 |
[1:32:00] | who is the real you? | 哪个才是真正的你 |
[1:32:05] | I just… | 我只是 |
[1:32:09] | I just don’t know who you are anymore. | 我只是认不出你了 |
[1:32:13] | I mean, does… Does anybody trust you anymore? | 现在还有人信赖你吗 |
[1:32:17] | And is that hard for you? I mean… | 这对你来说很艰难吗 |
[1:32:20] | Are you okay with that? | 你觉得没关系吗 |
[1:32:21] | You– you seem to be okay with that. | 你好像不怎么在乎 |
[1:32:26] | What do you mean? Because I write from my life and from… | 什么意思 就因为我从生活中获取灵感吗 |
[1:32:30] | Oh, yeah, you write from your life, | 对 你写自己的生活 |
[1:32:32] | but you write from others, and… | 但你也写别人的生活 |
[1:32:34] | and those others experience it as a kind of betrayal. | 而那些别人感觉这是种背叛 |
[1:32:42] | – You obviously… – Well, you know, you… | -很明显你 -好吧 你知道的 |
[1:32:46] | Betrayal. | 背叛 |
[1:32:48] | I think that you perhaps | 我觉得你或许会 |
[1:32:50] | betray the people that you love the most… | 辜负自己最爱的人 |
[1:32:54] | because you know that you have the expectation of forgiveness. | 因为知道自己有希望被原谅 |
[1:33:00] | The people that you don’t know very well, | 对于那些不怎么了解的人 |
[1:33:03] | trying to seduce or impress, | 你想要诱惑对方或是留下好印象 |
[1:33:06] | you treat them much more tenderly. | 就会对他们温柔得多 |
[1:33:07] | That’s my experience. | 这是我的经验 |
[1:33:10] | But it’s harder to forgive | 但是想要原谅会更困难 |
[1:33:14] | when you’re wallowing | 当你自己正在摸爬滚打 |
[1:33:18] | in the middle of the debris of what your life used to be. | 沉浸在过去生活的残骸中 |
[1:33:22] | It requires a greater expanse of spirit | 那需要更宽广的胸怀 |
[1:33:27] | than I think most people have. | 要有异于常人的宽容 |
[1:33:31] | Did you come on this trip to, to… | 你来这次旅行是要 |
[1:33:38] | berate me or to forgive me or to… | 责怪我 还是来原谅我 还是想 |
[1:33:45] | extract something else? | 要点别的什么 |
[1:33:47] | An apology or… | 要个道歉还是 |
[1:33:50] | to reconnect, maybe, our friendship? | 或许来和我重归于好 |
[1:33:55] | Why did you say yes? | 你为什么接受邀请 |
[1:34:01] | I wanted an apology. | 我想要个道歉 |
[1:34:04] | I wanted you to at least acknowledge | 我想要你至少承认 |
[1:34:09] | the damage that you caused in my life. | 你对我的生活造成的伤害 |
[1:34:16] | And… | 而且 |
[1:34:18] | And I wanted to extract… | 我还想从中获得 |
[1:34:25] | a little compensation for it. | 一点小小的补偿 |
[1:34:31] | Because if you were going to write a sequel, | 因为如果你打算写续作 |
[1:34:38] | I would tell you everything about the last 35 years. | 我可以告诉你过去35年间发生的一切 |
[1:34:44] | I would give you all the sordid, squalid details. | 我可以告诉你所有肮脏丑陋的细节 |
[1:34:48] | You would have… | 你能 |
[1:34:50] | You would have a great book. | 你能写出一部巨著 |
[1:34:55] | And all I want… | 而我只想要 |
[1:34:59] | is 30% of the profits. | 百分之三十的利润 |
[1:35:02] | Wait. What did you… What did you just say? | 等等 你刚刚 你刚说了什么 |
[1:35:06] | Well, I think you heard me. | 我觉得你应该听到了 |
[1:35:10] | And I think it’s fair. | 而且我觉得很公平 |
[1:35:15] | Oh, my God. | 我的天啊 |
[1:35:21] | Oh, my God. I just… | 我的天啊 我才 |
[1:35:26] | I realize what this is about. This is not about… | 我才意识到这是什么 这不是关于 |
[1:35:31] | This is not about love. This is about money. | 这不是关于爱 而是关于钱 |
[1:35:34] | I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize that. | 我很抱歉 我之前没想到 |
[1:35:40] | I’ll give you a check. | 我会给你开张支票 |
[1:35:49] | – We really lost each other, you know? – Yeah, we did. | -我们真的失去彼此了 -对 没错 |
[1:35:55] | I loved you when you were Al. | 我爱你还是爱丽的时候 |
[1:36:09] | Well, I’ll see you tomorrow. | 总之 明天见 |
[1:38:02] | – Excuse me, Tyler… – Hey. | -打扰了 泰勒 -你好 |
[1:38:05] | I’m Dr. Mitchell. | 我是米切尔医生 |
[1:38:06] | I’m Alice’s physician. Come in, please. | 我是爱丽丝的医生 请进 |
[1:38:09] | What’s happening? Is she sleeping? | 发生什么了 她还在睡吗 |
[1:38:13] | I’m very sorry to inform you, | 我很遗憾告知你 |
[1:38:15] | but your aunt passed away in the middle of the night. | 你姑妈半夜去世了 |
[1:38:21] | Oh, no. | 不 |
[1:38:24] | – Alice had a serious condition called… – Fuck. | -爱丽丝患有严重的病症 -操 |
[1:38:28] | deep vein thrombosis, and it’s a blood clot | 叫作深静脉血栓 就是个血块 |
[1:38:32] | which can travel up to the lungs, the heart, or the brain. | 可能会转移到心肺或者大脑 |
[1:38:36] | Right now we’re not sure which | 现在不能确定具体位置 |
[1:38:37] | until we get a coroner’s report. | 得等验尸报告出来 |
[1:38:40] | I’m very sorry. | 请节哀 |
[1:38:44] | The coroner as well as the police are headed here. | 验尸官和警察正在来的路上 |
[1:38:49] | If you’d like some time to spend with her before they get here. | 你要不要在那之前和她独处一会 |
[1:38:53] | Yeah. That would be great. | 那就最好不过了 |
[1:38:54] | Okay, I’ll be right outside. | 好 我就在外面 |
[1:38:56] | – Thank you. – You’re welcome. | -谢谢你 -不客气 |
[1:39:41] | She had told me of her wanting to go to England | 她告诉了我她想去英国 |
[1:39:44] | to pick up the Footling Prize, | 去领福特灵奖 |
[1:39:48] | see Blodwyn Pugh’s gravesite, | 去布洛德文·皮尤的墓地看看 |
[1:39:51] | and also discuss her at the awards ceremony. | 并且在颁奖典礼上谈谈她 |
[1:39:54] | She had at one point intended to fly. | 她一度打算坐飞机 |
[1:39:58] | I certainly said that | 我明确说了 |
[1:39:59] | that would not be a good idea to travel by plane. | 坐飞机出行不是个好主意 |
[1:40:02] | It wouldn’t be a good idea to travel at all. | 甚至最好都不要出行 |
[1:40:04] | I strongly advised her to stay in New York, | 我强烈建议她待在纽约 |
[1:40:07] | but as you all know, | 但是你们都知道的 |
[1:40:08] | Alice is Alice. | 爱丽丝就是爱丽丝 |
[1:40:10] | And she’s very strong-willed, and, ultimately, | 她非常坚定 而且说到底 |
[1:40:13] | she wanted to go. | 她很想去 |
[1:40:16] | So, I then discussed with her | 于是 我之后和她讨论 |
[1:40:18] | perhaps I should come along with her | 或许我应该和她一起上路 |
[1:40:20] | to help her with the medication. | 帮她进行药物治疗 |
[1:40:22] | The medication that we typically use in this situation | 治疗这种病的一般用药 |
[1:40:24] | is a blood thinner, | 是一种抗凝血药 |
[1:40:26] | but it needed to be injected. | 但是需要注射用药 |
[1:40:28] | I would give the injections in the morning and in the evening. | 每天早晚我给她各打一针 |
[1:40:31] | Could I just interrupt to ask if | 我能不能打断问一下 |
[1:40:33] | it could have been brought on by an emotional discussion, | 这会不会是由刺激情绪的讨论引起的 |
[1:40:38] | an emotional encounter? | 让情绪波动的经历 |
[1:40:43] | Most likely not. These things are, | 基本不会 这种事情 |
[1:40:46] | as I said, unpredictable in nature, | 就像我说的 本质上难以预料 |
[1:40:49] | and they can happen | 随时可能会发病 |
[1:40:51] | and it doesn’t have anything to do with | 可能和个人生活中 |
[1:40:53] | what’s going on in someone’s personal life. | 发生的事毫无关系 |
[1:40:56] | So, no. | 所以说 不会 |
[1:41:03] | Shall I go rebook our flights now? | 我现在要不要去改签我们的机票 |
[1:41:08] | – Oh, my goodness sake. – Well… | -我的天啊 -好吧 |
[1:41:11] | – We’ve got to… – To when? | -我们得 -改到哪天 |
[1:41:14] | – Tomorrow? – Maybe the next day. | -明天呢 -后天怎么样 |
[1:41:17] | We’ve got to pack Alice’s stuff | 我们得收拾爱丽丝的东西 |
[1:41:19] | and then pack all our stuff. | 然后收拾自己的东西 |
[1:41:24] | I don’t know. I was… I was sort of… | 我不知道 我 我有点 |
[1:41:28] | It doesn’t feel right to me to leave | 我感觉不能就这么离开 |
[1:41:32] | or to– to book the flight right now. | 或者说现在就订机票 |
[1:41:33] | I feel like we got to… | 我觉得我们得 |
[1:41:36] | The trip isn’t over. Like, the… | 旅程还没有结束 |
[1:41:38] | We should visit Blodwyn’s grave, | 我们应该去拜访布洛德文的墓 |
[1:41:41] | like Alice wanted us to. | 就像爱丽丝想让我们做的 |
[1:41:45] | She brought us here. | 她把我们带到这了 |
[1:41:47] | She chose us. | 她选择了我们 |
[1:41:49] | The three… Just us three. | 三个 就我们三个 |
[1:41:52] | Personally, for me, I… My life… | 个人而言 对我来说 我的人生 |
[1:41:57] | I can’t… Everything that’s good in my life | 我不能 我生命中所有的好事 |
[1:42:00] | feels related to Alice in so many ways. | 感觉都和爱丽丝息息相关 |
[1:42:03] | I’ve been so ashamed of the family that I come from, | 我曾经为自己的家庭出身羞愧不已 |
[1:42:08] | for so long, | 一直如此 |
[1:42:10] | until I met Alice. | 直到我见到爱丽丝 |
[1:42:13] | And… | 而且 |
[1:42:16] | I can’t leave here without going to that gravesite. I’m just… | 我没法不去墓地就这么离开 我只是 |
[1:42:21] | It would feel like… It would make me sick. | 那会感觉 那会让我很难受 |
[1:43:34] | 布洛德文·皮尤 生于1819年3月3日 逝于1909年8月11日 | |
[1:43:42] | Does anybody want to say anything? | 有人想说点什么吗 |
[1:43:45] | Tyler, I don’t even know the woman. | 泰勒 我都不知道这女人是谁 |
[1:43:48] | I don’t even like her writing. | 我都不喜欢她的作品 |
[1:43:52] | This is for Alice. | 这只是为了爱丽丝 |
[1:44:07] | I guess we should go, then. | 我想我们该走了 |
[1:44:13] | I need a drink. | 我得去喝一杯 |
[1:44:32] | Isn’t there an editor or a fellow writer, | 有没有哪个编辑或者作家同行 |
[1:44:35] | someone who could do something with it? | 有没有谁能用它做点什么 |
[1:44:38] | Honestly, it’s… | 说实话 |
[1:44:40] | I don’t know what it is or what could be done with it. | 我不知道这是什么或者能用来做什么 |
[1:44:43] | I guess you could call it experimental. | 也许可以说是实验性写作 |
[1:44:46] | We could post it online and charge people to read it. | 我们可以发布到网上 收费阅读 |
[1:44:50] | I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that. | 个人而言 我感觉那么做不合适 |
[1:44:54] | Look, whatever this is, | 不管这算什么 |
[1:44:56] | it’s clearly in a very embryonic stage, | 都明显还处于雏形阶段 |
[1:44:59] | and it’s not meant to be published. | 而且不应该被发表 |
[1:45:01] | She was trying something out, | 她在做新尝试 |
[1:45:02] | and she didn’t get to see it through. | 但没能把它写完 |
[1:45:04] | Yeah, but people might find that interesting. | 对 但别人可能会觉得很有趣 |
[1:45:07] | Her readers, literary scholars. | 她的读者 文学研究者 |
[1:45:11] | Look, maybe someone else can help you. | 说不定别人能帮你 |
[1:45:14] | You said she gave it to you. | 你说她把这个给了你 |
[1:45:15] | You can take it wherever you want. | 你可以找任何一家出版社 |
[1:45:18] | You don’t need me, not for that. | 你不需要我来发表这个 |
[1:45:20] | Roberta, we need you on the floor. | 罗伯塔 卖场里需要你 |
[1:45:23] | Yeah, I’m coming, Clovis. | 好 马上就来 克洛维斯 |
[1:45:25] | I’ll be right there. I’m coming. | 我马上就去 这就来 |
[1:45:29] | – Yeah, Mom… – Should I send it back to you? | -好 妈妈 -我要给你寄回去吗 |
[1:45:32] | I’m coming. What? | 我这就过去 什么 |
[1:45:36] | No, no, no. Keep it. | 不不不 留着吧 |
[1:45:38] | Give it to Tyler. | 交给泰勒 |
[1:45:41] | How about… how about this? How about a sequel? | 这样 这样如何 出一部续作 |
[1:45:46] | A sequel with real people, | 一部写真人真事的续作 |
[1:45:48] | real people’s names, places, | 用真实的姓名地点 |
[1:45:51] | about what happened in my life | 写写《你总是 你从未》出版之后 |
[1:45:53] | after the publication of You Always, You Never? | 我生活中发生的事 |
[1:45:57] | How about that? | 听起来怎么样 |
[1:46:00] | Roberta, if you were ever to write that book, | 罗伯塔 你要是写了这本书 |
[1:46:04] | I’d love to see it. | 我很乐意一看 |
[1:46:06] | I just don’t understand the whole agent thing, | 我就是不理解那些经纪人的事 |
[1:46:10] | but I spoke to Karen | 但是我和凯伦聊了 |
[1:46:13] | and she said that, because she represents you now, | 她说因为她现在负责你了 |
[1:46:16] | she couldn’t represent me. | 所以她不能负责我 |
[1:46:18] | – No, no, no, no. – Yeah. | -对对对 不行 -对 |
[1:46:21] | – Okay, but she can find you an a– – It’s a conflict. | -对 但她可以给你找个… -有利益冲突 |
[1:46:23] | Okay, but she can find you an agent | 好 但她可以帮你找经纪人 |
[1:46:25] | and a lawyer, but… | 还有律师 不过 |
[1:46:28] | Look, you should use my old agent. | 你可以用我以前的经纪人 |
[1:46:29] | That’s perfect. He’d love to represent you. | 那正好 他会很乐意负责你的 |
[1:46:31] | – Okay. – He should be so lucky. | -好的 -那是他的荣幸 |
[1:46:34] | Because the deal’s 50-50. | 因为说好了五五分 |
[1:46:35] | We’re just gonna split it 50-50, right? | 我们要五五分 对吧 |
[1:46:37] | – That doesn’t make any sense at all. – Why? | -那完全没道理 -为什么 |
[1:46:39] | You are the writer. It’s not 50-50. | 你才是作者 不能五五分 |
[1:46:42] | Well, yes, it is. | 当然可以了 |
[1:46:43] | I mean, unless you want more. I mean… | 除非你想再要多点 |
[1:46:46] | – Don’t be absurd. – You don’t need an agent. | -别这么荒唐 -你不需要经纪人 |
[1:46:50] | You’re better than your agent. | 你比你的经纪人强多了 |
[1:46:52] | Look, I am so happy to be doing this. | 听着 我很高兴这么做 |
[1:46:54] | This is my idea. | 这是我的主意 |
[1:46:56] | We’re splitting it 50-50. That’s done. | 我们要五五分 就这么决定了 |
[1:46:59] | Forget it. Let’s just move on and try to start. | 别想了 咱们快试着开始吧 |
[1:47:02] | – Do you have some– – This might be interesting. | -你有没有 -这个可能会有趣 |
[1:47:05] | But it turns out the main ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol. | 我发现防冻剂的主要成分是乙二醇 |
[1:47:12] | – In antifreeze? – In antifreeze. Wait, now… | -防冻剂 -防冻剂 等我说完 |
[1:47:15] | Which is not only incredibly toxic but also very sweet. | 它不光有剧毒 而且还很甜 |
[1:47:21] | So that, people, when they want to poison someone, | 所以 有人想要毒死别人的时候 |
[1:47:24] | have used it a lot. | 经常用这个 |
[1:47:26] | And now 17 states require the manufacturer | 所以现在17个州都要求制造商 |
[1:47:31] | to add something to make it taste very bitter. | 加一些东西让它变得非常苦 |
[1:47:36] | Which leaves 33 states where they don’t. | 所以还剩下33个没有规定的州 |
[1:47:39] | – Exactly. – If my math… | -就是这样 -如果我没算错 |
[1:47:40] | So I was thinking maybe as part of her plan, | 所以我在想 或许在她的计划里 |
[1:47:43] | she either lives in a state that doesn’t have the law… | 她要么住在一个没有这条法规的州 |
[1:47:47] | or moves to one. | 要么搬到了一个这样的州 |
[1:47:48] | And then moves to one. | 然后搬到了这样的州 |
[1:47:50] | And then moves to one. | 为了下毒而搬家 |
[1:49:23] | When I read this novel, | 当我读这部小说的时候 |
[1:49:25] | it’s… it’s impossible for me not to think | 我忍不住思索 |
[1:49:30] | what a miracle it is that this universe emerged, | 这个宇宙的诞生真是个奇迹 |
[1:49:33] | what a miracle it is that consciousness emerged… | 意识的出现真是个奇迹 |
[1:49:40] | And what a miracle it is that Blodwyn Pugh, | 实在是太神奇了 布洛德文·皮尤 |
[1:49:44] | her thoughts and experiences, | 她的思想和经历 |
[1:49:47] | that they could reach across time | 它们能够穿越时空 |
[1:49:52] | and reach into my consciousness. | 抵达到我的意识中 |
[1:49:57] | That’s a miracle. | 这真是个奇迹 |
[1:52:36] | 电影制作组对2019年8月18日横渡大西洋的玛丽皇后二号上的 所有乘客船员以及乘务员的配合表达由衷的感谢 |