英文名称:How To Die Simons Choice
年代:2016
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:13] | Hi, Debbie. | 你好黛比 |
[00:15] | It’s Simon here. | 我是西蒙 |
[00:18] | I know we’ve had our ups and downs, | 我知道我们一起经历了很多风风雨雨 |
[00:21] | but I really do appreciate everything you’ve done for me. | 但我真的很感谢你为我所做的一切 |
[00:30] | Up! | 起 |
[00:34] | I’ve been phenomenally lucky. | 我一直都特别幸运 |
[00:37] | Such a loving family. | 有一个充满爱的家 |
[00:40] | So many wonderful friends. | 有这么多好朋友 |
[00:46] | I will miss it all. | 我会想念这一切的 |
[00:57] | We will perhaps never know the full nature of | 我们可能永远都不会知道 |
[01:00] | Simon’s thoughts on life and death. | 西蒙对生命和死亡的全部见解 |
[01:03] | I suspect they were as complex | 我想这些见解会和他本人一样 |
[01:06] | and interesting as the man himself. | 既有深度又不失风趣 |
[01:17] | The toll that his disease took seems cruel. | 疾病对他的影响是残酷的 |
[01:24] | 我恨它 屈辱 无助 | |
[01:33] | The law is very clear. | 法律说得很清楚 |
[01:35] | In this country, we can’t help people end their lives. | 这个国家不允许我们帮助别人结束他们的生命 |
[01:42] | Everybody can change mind, | 即使在最后一刻 |
[01:45] | right in the last moment. | 人们都可以改变主意 |
[01:52] | I feel so strongly inside that this isn’t the right thing to do. | 我内心强烈地感觉到这样做是不对的 |
[01:58] | He’s still really, really enjoying life. | 他还是那么享受生活 |
[02:10] | If he goes to Switzerland, | 如果他去瑞士 |
[02:11] | there is a price to be paid by other people | 就要有人为此付出代价 |
[02:14] | and they may not be that happy to pay it. | 而他们可能会不乐意 |
[02:20] | How he dies is so important. | 他如何死这件事 |
[02:23] | For our children, | 对我们的孩子 |
[02:24] | for his sisters, his mother. | 对他的姐妹和母亲是很重要的 |
[02:30] | However final it might feel to you now, | 此时的你也许认为这是结束 |
[02:34] | today is not the last word for Simon. | 但今天对于西蒙来说不是结束 |
[03:00] | This is our lovely room. | 这是我们温馨的小屋 |
[03:05] | Have you enjoyed your day in the mountains, Simon? | 在山里日子感觉如何 西蒙 |
[03:11] | Has it been frustrating, not being able to speak? | 不能说话是不是感觉很沮丧 |
[03:17] | But you had a nice time? | 但你玩得还是很开心 |
[03:22] | Good. | 很好 |
[03:25] | You know, it’s your 14th wedding anniversary today. | 今天是你第十四个结婚纪念日 |
[03:29] | How does that make you feel? | 对此你感觉如何 |
[03:36] | Happy anniversary to Debbie and Simon. | 祝黛比和西蒙结婚纪念日快乐 |
[03:40] | Simon, I’ve zoomed in, I can see you really well! | 西蒙我拉近镜头了 我能很清楚地看到你 |
[03:44] | We’ve been married 14 years | 我们已经结婚十四年了 |
[03:46] | and we’ve just had such fun together. | 我们在一起一直都很开心 |
[03:48] | Simon! | 西蒙 |
[03:51] | He’s like a little boy, in some ways! | 从某种程度来讲 他就像个小男孩 |
[03:54] | But I like his energy. | 但我喜欢他活力四射 |
[03:57] | I like the fact life seems very alive when he’s there. | 我喜欢他在身边时 生命是如此生动的感觉 |
[04:08] | He just makes every day just brighter and puts colour in life. | 他让每一天都充满阳光 让生活多姿多彩 |
[04:18] | Six months ago, we got this diagnosis, motor neurone disease. | 六个月前 他被确诊得了运动神经元病 |
[04:24] | Terminal illness. Between six months and two years. | 是绝症 只有半年到两年的时间了 |
[04:28] | They can’t do anything at all to slow the illness down | 他们没有任何能减缓发病 |
[04:33] | or to change the prognosis, | 或改变预后的方法 |
[04:34] | there is nothing at all, nothing. | 没有任何办法 一点都没有 |
[04:41] | Roman, Roman, Roman. | 罗曼 罗曼 罗曼 |
[04:43] | Come here, I have got something to show you. | 过来 我要给你看样东西 |
[04:46] | Did you hear that? Grandad’s got something to show you. | 你听见了吗 祖父要给你看样东西 |
[04:49] | You are a silly boy. | 你是个傻孩子 |
[04:52] | – No! – You are a silly boy. | -不 -你是个傻孩子 |
[04:54] | Top banana! | 我很酷 |
[04:57] | Top banana. Happy days. | 头儿 祝你开心 |
[04:59] | Top banana, happy days! | 头儿 祝你开心 |
[05:02] | Top banana, happy days! | 头儿 祝你开心 |
[05:13] | This machine is slow and frustrating | 对于我这样拥有非凡才智的人来说 |
[05:16] | for a man of my immense intellect. | 这机器真是又慢又蠢 |
[05:27] | For a man of my immense intellect and Cambridge education, | 我是个拥有剑桥学历的聪明人 |
[05:32] | even though I only got a third-class degree. | 尽管成绩平庸 |
[05:39] | Third-class degree is a gentleman’s degree | 作为男人就该成绩平庸 |
[05:42] | that shows healthy interest in other things. | 这样才能证明他对其他事物能保持热情 |
[05:46] | Exactly. | 说得没错 |
[05:49] | Exactly. | 说得没错 |
[05:50] | For Simon, who’s a fantastic communicator, very amusing, | 西蒙他十分擅长沟通 非常风趣 |
[05:54] | very quick-witted, | 思维也很敏捷 |
[05:55] | if you could take something away from him | 于他而言 最糟糕的 |
[05:58] | that would be the worst possible thing, it would be his voice. | 莫过于夺去他的声音 |
[06:01] | Dratted disease! | 讨厌的病 |
[06:03] | People talk to me and not to him. | 大家都对我说话而忽略了他 |
[06:05] | I don’t want to take over, | 我不想独占与人交流的机会 |
[06:07] | so it’s quite a difficult balance | 因此要在这和保护他之间寻求平衡 |
[06:08] | between feeling quite protective, | 是件很困难的事 |
[06:10] | and I know my daughter Hannah does, as well. | 我也知道我女儿汉娜也有这感觉 |
[06:12] | People always commented on your Northern accent, | 大家总是说起你的北方口音 |
[06:16] | it’s not something I really noticed at all. | 这事之前我完全没注意到 |
[06:19] | but I probably just didn’t care. | 也许是我压根就不在乎吧 |
[06:21] | Or maybe I wasn’t listening most of the time! | 也许是大多数时候都没认真听你说话 |
[06:23] | Christmas, December 2013. | 2013年12月 圣诞节 |
[06:28] | Will you give me a little kissy now? | 快亲我一口 |
[06:31] | Just give me a little kiss… | 快亲我一口… |
[06:34] | OK, here we go. | 好的 开始吧 |
[06:38] | And what’s this one? | 这是什么 |
[06:41] | What’s this one? What noise does it make? | 这是什么 它是怎么叫的 |
[07:26] | That’s my little baby, at home in Leeds. | 这就是我儿子小时候 在利兹家里照的 |
[07:33] | There he is, now, that | 你看看他 |
[07:34] | shows what he’s going to be like, doesn’t it? | 从这照片就能看出他以后会什么样了 对吧 |
[07:38] | A laugh. | 爱笑的人 |
[07:42] | Simon was only ever off school two days, he never got ill. | 西蒙上学时只缺勤过两天 他从没生过病 |
[07:48] | It’s come as a great shock to all of us, really. | 他生病真的让大家十分震惊 |
[07:52] | Sometimes, I wake up and it’s absolutely dreadful | 有时候 我醒来时觉得十分绝望 |
[07:55] | and I think, now, how much must he be waking up | 我在想 他醒来时发现 |
[07:58] | thinking that he’s got another thing that’s not working? | 又有样器官出现问题 会是什么样的心情 |
[08:10] | I mean… | 我的意思是… |
[08:37] | Ever had a moment | 曾几何时 |
[08:38] | when you realise | 你才会意识到 |
[08:39] | just how much you care about the things you own? | 自己是那么珍惜所拥有的一切 |
[08:51] | When it comes to a cooked breakfast, | 说到早餐 |
[08:53] | some people pick and pack. | 有些人会拿着在路上吃 |
[09:00] | Reducing our food waste by half | 减少一半的食物浪费 |
[09:02] | could have the same effect on CO2 emissions | 和减少几千辆汽车 |
[09:05] | as taking thousands of cars off the road. | 在二氧化碳减排方面有相同的效果 |
[09:12] | 苏特里配音 西蒙·诺克 男演员 | |
[09:13] | Cool, natural, blokeish, | 酷 自然 爷们儿 |
[09:15] | Regional, warm, smooth, rich, gravelly… | 有口音 热情 流畅 醇厚 沙哑 |
[09:48] | My name is Simon Binner. | 我叫西蒙·宾纳 |
[09:51] | I’m a very gregarious guy. An alpha male. | 我是个爱好交际的人 十分强势 |
[09:56] | I have a loving family – | 我的家庭充满爱 |
[09:57] | Debbie, Hannah and her children, | 黛比 汉娜和她的孩子们 |
[10:00] | and my brilliant daughter, Zoe, who lives in Germany. | 还有我杰出的女儿佐伊 她住在德国 |
[10:04] | I was extremely happy until my diagnosis. | 直到我被诊断之前我都非常开心 |
[10:09] | I can feel my body changing week by week, | 我能感觉到我的身体每周都在变化 |
[10:12] | and I’m now short of breath. | 现在我喘不上气了 |
[10:15] | I’m going to give up driving a car imminently. | 我很快就不能开车了 |
[10:19] | It’s very sad for me. | 这对我来说是件悲伤的事 |
[10:22] | I can’t answer the phone or be a driving force at work. | 我接不了电话 也不能做工作中的主心骨 |
[10:26] | In business, you need people to motivate | 在工作中 你要让大家都有动力 |
[10:28] | and paint sunlit visions of the future. | 给大家描绘光明的未来 |
[10:31] | And I can’t do that any more. | 我现在做不到了 |
[10:35] | Originally, we were going to sell our business, | 本来 我们打算把公司卖了 |
[10:37] | but I thought I would give my stepdaughter Hannah | 但我想到我可以给继女汉娜一个机会 |
[10:40] | the opportunity to see if she could do it. | 看看她能不能做成 |
[10:42] | Good. How are you? | 很好 你还好吗 |
[10:55] | – Add this to the gross. – Yes. | -把这个加进收入里 -对 |
[10:57] | This month? | 这个月的 |
[10:58] | – No. – Next month. | -不 -下个月的 |
[11:01] | He was operations director – | 他曾是运营总监 |
[11:03] | managing staff, organising meetings, everything. | 管人事 组织会议 什么都管 |
[11:07] | So, we could save people a huge amount of money. | 因此我们能给人们省一大笔钱 |
[11:09] | So, who would it… Your company, who would it be… | 那么在贵司 我们需要… |
[11:12] | Sorry, your name again was…? | 抱歉 您的名字是 |
[11:14] | Is it Brenda? Sorry, Deborah, sorry. | 是布兰达吗 对不起是黛布拉 抱歉 |
[11:17] | Who is it in your company that we would need to speak to? | 我们应该联系贵公司的哪位呢 |
[11:21] | He was always the centre of attention, | 他总是人们注意力的焦点 |
[11:23] | the life and soul of the party. | 社交聚会的中心人物 |
[11:25] | Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, good morning! | 早上好 女士们先生们 早上好 |
[11:28] | My name’s Rocco, Rocco Ancelotti, | 我叫洛可·安切洛蒂 |
[11:30] | with the Global Pencil Company, here in New York City. | 来自纽约市的全球铅笔公司 |
[11:36] | When I first came in February, Simon was here most days. | 我二月刚来时 西蒙大多数时候都在这里 |
[11:40] | Now, Simon’s probably here only one to two days a week, | 现在西蒙一周大概只来一两天 |
[11:44] | he gets quite tired. | 他很容易感到疲累 |
[13:04] | I’m an independent type of guy | 我是个不受约束的人 |
[13:06] | and the endgame of motor neurone disease is not to my taste. | 运动神经元病晚期不是我该得的病 |
[13:11] | Like a used car, I’m worn out, | 我就像一辆二手车 已经疲惫不堪了 |
[13:14] | and it’s no longer worth investing in the cost of repairs. | 也不再值得继续投入修理的成本 |
[13:20] | When we drove back from hospital | 一月我确诊后 |
[13:22] | after my diagnosis ‘in January, | 我们从医院开车回来时 |
[13:24] | I decided then, en route in the car, | 坐在车上的途中 我决定 |
[13:27] | that I would have to either kill myself | 我要么自杀 |
[13:28] | or be euthanised in some way. | 要么以某种方式安乐死 |
[13:33] | Motor neurone disease is a horrible disease to get. | 运动神经元病是种很可怕的疾病 |
[13:36] | Typically, over six months to a year, | 通常 半年到一年间 |
[13:38] | their speaking is likely to get worse and worse | 患者的语言功能会每况愈下 |
[13:39] | 艾哈·沙拉比教授 西蒙的神经病学顾问医生 | |
[13:40] | until at some point, | 直到某一天 |
[13:41] | they won’t be able to be understood by others. | 其他人都将无法理解他们说的话 |
[13:44] | Eventually, the arms will become completely paralysed, | 最终 他们的手臂将完全瘫痪 |
[13:47] | the legs will become weaker and weaker, | 腿部也会越来越无力 |
[13:49] | until eventually, | 最终 |
[13:50] | someone will need a stick to walk, | 患者需要拐杖才能走路 |
[13:52] | then a walking frame, then a wheelchair. | 然后是助行器 接着是轮椅 |
[13:55] | But the thing that really carries people off | 但最终真正让他们丧命的 |
[13:57] | is breathing difficulty. | 是呼吸困难 |
[13:58] | It’s fatal because, at some point, | 这是致命的 因为在某一时刻 |
[14:01] | the muscles controlling the diaphragm will be affected. | 控制膈肌的肌肉将会受到影响 |
[14:04] | And when someone gets diaphragm weakness, | 当患者膈肌无力时 |
[14:06] | they become short of breath, | 他们会呼吸短促 |
[14:08] | and we have things that can support people through that… | 我们有东西能帮助他们熬过… |
[14:10] | through those symptoms, | 那些症状 |
[14:12] | but, at some point, it becomes impossible. | 但总有一天 辅助也无法起任何作用 |
[14:16] | Mummy! | 妈咪 |
[14:21] | People might think, | 大家或许会想 |
[14:22] | if they’re able-bodied and able to walk around, | 如果他们身体健全 能到处走动 |
[14:23] | they might think, “I would never want to be in a wheelchair.” | 他们会想 “我永远不要坐在轮椅上” |
[14:26] | But it’s not that the next day they’ll be in a wheelchair, | 但并非第二天他们就会坐在轮椅上 |
[14:29] | it’s that, in a year’s time they might be in a wheelchair. | 是一年内 他们或许会坐在轮椅上 |
[14:33] | The process of getting to that point, | 在此过程中 |
[14:35] | they’ll have adapted to other aspects of the illness, | 他们还要适应疾病的其它方面 |
[14:38] | people actually cope far better | 人们实际应对起来 |
[14:40] | than they might have thought at the beginning. | 要比自己起初认为的好得多 |
[14:43] | Hardly anybody chooses assisted dying, | 几乎没人选择安乐死 |
[14:45] | less than 1% of our patients choose it. | 小于1%的病人会选择安乐死 |
[14:48] | The vast majority choose palliative care | 大部分病人选择姑息治疗 |
[14:51] | and a peaceful death in that way. | 平静地死去 |
[15:15] | I’ve always been quite anti assisted dying. | 我一直很反对安乐死 |
[15:20] | It’s one of those dinner party conversations you have, | 我以前以为这只是晚餐的谈资 |
[15:22] | never dreaming that you’d actually | 从未想过 |
[15:24] | ever actually be having this conversation. | 有一天自己会重视这个话题 |
[15:29] | I think an assisted death, | 一想到要坐飞机 |
[15:31] | getting on a plane and going to Switzerland, | 带他去瑞士安乐死 |
[15:34] | actually, even the thought of it makes me feel physically sick, | 我就觉得身体不舒服 |
[15:37] | and I feel more and more, | 而且我越来越害怕 |
[15:41] | if I’m honest, utterly terrified of | 说实话 我非常害怕 |
[15:44] | what it will be like, what the… | 面对安乐死 |
[15:48] | And it’s outside of most people’s experience, so, um… | 太多数人都没有接触过 |
[15:56] | Have you tried to persuade him not to? | 你有劝过他放弃吗 |
[16:00] | I don’t know, I feel… I feel very… | 我也说不好 我… |
[16:04] | frightened to upset him any more. | 不敢再让他失望了 |
[16:07] | Because he is very upset, | 他现在很沮丧 |
[16:09] | though you wouldn’t necessarily see it, | 虽然你不一定能发现 |
[16:12] | but he is becoming quite vulnerable. | 但他现在很脆弱 |
[16:15] | As I think people do when they become ill, | 我觉得人们生病后变脆弱很正常 |
[16:17] | however strong you are, when you become physically ill, | 无论多么坚强的人 一旦得病以后 |
[16:20] | you become more vulnerable. | 就会变得很脆弱 |
[16:22] | So, I think I kind of avoid conversations a lot of the time | 所以我大部分时间都会避免这些话题 |
[16:26] | and just say, | 只会问他 |
[16:27] | “Oh, a cup of tea?” | “喝杯茶吗”之类的话… |
[16:30] | Doing those… Trying to make everyday life OK. | 期望能安稳度日 |
[16:33] | But, um, so, we don’t really talk about it | 但我们不怎么谈论这事 |
[16:36] | and I almost can’t talk about it, because it… | 我也不能提 因为一提… |
[16:40] | makes it more real. | 就会感觉更加真实 |
[16:54] | Should people have the right to die? | 人有死亡的权力吗 |
[16:58] | It’s a question that’s been asked for years. | 这个问题已提出多年 |
[17:08] | Helping someone to kill themselves | 在英格兰和威尔士 |
[17:10] | is currently punishable in England and Wales | 帮助他人自杀 |
[17:12] | by up to 14 years in prison. | 将被处以最高十四年的有期徒刑 |
[17:14] | There could be few issues | 对一个社会来说 |
[17:15] | of more fundamental importance to society | 没有几个问题比如何对待绝症患者 |
[17:18] | than how we treat the terminally ill. | 更加重要的了 |
[17:38] | 发件人 西蒙·宾纳 收件人 艾瑞卡·帕特里夏医生 | |
[17:40] | Thursday 19th. | 19号 周四 |
[17:45] | E-mail to Dr Erika Preisig. | 发给艾瑞卡·帕特里夏医生的电邮 |
[17:51] | Hello, Dr Preisig. | 你好 帕特里夏医生 |
[17:55] | I’m 57 and I was diagnosed with motor neurone disease | 我57岁 2015年1月7日 |
[17:59] | on the 7th January, 2015. | 被诊断患有运动神经元病 |
[18:02] | And I’d like to have an eccentric, rock-and-roll version | 我想预订您饱受赞誉的安乐死服务 |
[18:05] | of your highly esteemed assisted-dying service. | 希望可以带摇滚风 安排得不同寻常 |
[18:13] | There’s always so much traffic. | 路上一直很堵 |
[18:18] | This is one reason why we usually start at 8.30. | 这也是我们一般八点半开工的原因之一 |
[18:22] | Do you always do them in the morning? | 你一般都早上工作吗 |
[18:24] | Usually, yes. | 一般都是 |
[18:26] | Usually, the authorities of Switzerland don’t like us | 瑞士政府一般不让我们 |
[18:29] | to do it in the afternoon. | 下午开工 |
[18:32] | Because then, it runs into four or five o’clock | 因为这样一来就会拖到四五点 |
[18:37] | and they want to go home. | 他们要下班回家 |
[18:43] | With assisted dying, | 在瑞士 |
[18:45] | there’s three organisations who accept foreigners in Switzerland. | 有三家机构为外国人提供安乐死服务 |
[18:51] | Dignitas is the biggest one, | “尊严”是最大的一家 |
[18:54] | lifecircle – it works in Basel. | “由生到死” 位于巴塞尔 |
[18:59] | We have two assisted dyings a week. | 我们每周为两位客户实施安乐死 |
[19:04] | They have to send mails, | 他们要寄邮件过来 |
[19:07] | send doctor’s reports about their illness. | 把疾病的医学报告发给我们 |
[19:11] | I show the documents to another doctor, | 我会把文件给另一个 |
[19:13] | who is going to see them. | 审核的医生过目 |
[19:17] | And if he says, “I think we can accept him,” | 如果他说”我认为可以接收这位患者” |
[19:20] | then he gets the provisional green light. | 那么他就暂时获得了通过 |
[19:43] | This is the medication. | 这就是药剂 |
[19:51] | It’s a powder that you have to dissolve. | 是一种需要被溶解的粉末 |
[19:57] | It’s an anaesthetic, and if you take half a gram, | 这是一种麻醉剂 如果患者注射半克 |
[20:02] | you can have a big operation, | 就可以实施大型手术了 |
[20:04] | which makes us feel safe | 这让我们可以确保 |
[20:07] | that you feel no pain, | 你感受不到任何疼痛 |
[20:09] | you feel no fear, nothing. | 感受不到恐惧 什么都感受不到 |
[20:12] | And this is 30 times the dose of a normal anaesthetic. | 这是普通麻醉剂剂量的30倍 |
[20:23] | It takes 30 seconds until they fall asleep. | 三十秒就可以让患者熟睡 |
[20:28] | Within these 30 seconds, | 在这三十秒里 |
[20:30] | the family can sit close, hold hands, | 家人可以坐在旁边 牵着手 |
[20:34] | say a last few words. | 说一些告别的话 |
[20:37] | And within about four minutes, the heart stops beating | 在大概四分钟之内 心脏会停止跳动 |
[20:40] | and they are dead. | 患者就会死亡 |
[20:45] | OK, good. | 一切顺利 |
[21:06] | OK. | 好的 |
[21:18] | In just two months’ time, | 仅仅两个月之后 |
[21:20] | the controversial Assisted Dying Bill will be voted on by MPs | 国会议员将对饱受争议的安乐死法案投票表决 |
[21:25] | for the first time in almost 20 years. | 这是二十年来的首次投票 |
[21:36] | Doctors would be allowed to give a lethal dose of drugs | 医生将会被允许向只有不到六个月生命 |
[21:39] | to adults who have asked for help to die | 并且寻求解脱的成年人 |
[21:41] | and are thought to have less than six months to live. | 提供致死剂量的药剂 |
[21:45] | Disabled people and people who are terminally ill | 残障人士和绝症病人 |
[21:47] | would like people to alleviate our suffering | 更希望大家帮助他们好好生活 |
[21:50] | by helping us live better lives, not by killing us. | 而不是以杀死他们的方式 来减轻他们的痛苦 |
[21:53] | The pressure that is going to be put on terminally ill people, | 疾病晚期的患者将会背负巨大的压力 |
[21:57] | they’d end up thinking, | 他们将会认为 |
[21:58] | I should go, I’m going to be a burden on my family, | 我该走了 我将会成为家庭的负担 |
[22:00] | it’s right for me… | 我应该去… |
[22:01] | The Church remains strongly opposed to assisted dying… | 教会仍然强烈反对安乐死… |
[22:04] | I want to see much more emphasis put on | 我希望大家把重点更多地放在 |
[22:06] | supporting people in living, | 如何帮助人活下去 |
[22:08] | than assisting them in dying. | 而非帮助他们死亡 |
[22:14] | Come on. | 来 |
[22:18] | Onward! | 继续走 |
[22:20] | Good boy. | 好乖 |
[22:22] | Onward! | 继续走 |
[23:07] | Good boy. | 好孩子 |
[23:09] | Good boy. | 好孩子 |
[23:13] | Good boy. | 好孩子 |
[23:18] | In the future, when Ralph becomes poorly, | 以后 当拉尔夫情况不佳时 |
[23:22] | we’ll call the vet to our house and we’ll all stroke Ralph | 我们会找兽医来 轻抚着拉尔夫 |
[23:26] | and say our last goodbyes to the most loyal of dogs. | 向我们最忠诚的伙伴最后道别 |
[23:30] | And then, he’ll gently be put to sleep. | 然后他会平静地离开 |
[23:33] | And that’s what I’d like for me. | 我所希望我也能如此 |
[23:37] | There’s a time to live and a time to die. | 出生和死亡都有它的时刻 |
[23:43] | Right now would be my ideal time to die. | 现在是我希望的死亡时刻 |
[23:50] | Debbie’s plight causes me incredible sadness, | 黛比的处境让我倍感悲伤 |
[23:53] | because she’s been so kind to me and so kind to Chloe. | 她对我和克洛伊如此友善 |
[23:55] | 1995.1.25-2013.2.28 | 克洛伊·简·特鲁里 |
[23:59] | We loved Chloe so much. | 我们十分爱克洛伊 |
[24:02] | She was the centre of our lives. | 她曾是我们生活的中心 |
[24:07] | Chloe was my youngest daughter. | 克洛伊是我最小的女儿 |
[24:15] | She got a rare bone cancer at 15. | 她十五岁时得了罕见的骨癌 |
[24:21] | She had treatment for three years | 治疗了三年后 |
[24:23] | and then she died when she was 18, | 十八岁时离开了我们 |
[24:25] | which was two years ago. | 那已经是两年前了 |
[24:28] | But the pain became unbearable for her at one point | 她一度无法忍受病痛的折磨 |
[24:32] | and she asked me to kill her. | 曾请求我杀了她 |
[24:35] | And I think… | 我想着 |
[24:39] | To have, you know, your 18-year-old daughter | 十八岁的女儿 |
[24:41] | asking you to do that… | 求你让她死… |
[24:43] | But we had a fantastic palliative care team, | 但我们有个非常棒的姑息治疗团队 |
[24:46] | absolutely fantastic palliative care team, | 已经是最好的了 |
[24:48] | and they came round and sorted it out. | 让他们来处理这个情况 |
[24:50] | Then the next day, she woke up, | 第二天她醒来 |
[24:51] | as kids do at that age, and said, | 用普通十八岁女孩的语气跟我说 |
[24:55] | “Oh, I’m sorry I asked you to do that, Mum.” | “我很抱歉对你说那样的话 妈妈” |
[24:56] | It was like… “Oh, my God!” | 我觉得 天呐 |
[25:00] | And then, we went on and had a few months of some lovely times. | 然后我们一起度过了幸福的几个月 |
[25:12] | Losing a child, there’s nothing worse than that, | 没有比失去一个孩子更糟的事了 |
[25:14] | but there was something… | 但是有些事情… |
[25:18] | More natural? I don’t know. | 似乎是更自然的 我也不知道 |
[25:20] | In that we knew that we had… | 这其中我们知道 |
[25:24] | This is so hard, | 这太难了 |
[25:26] | because motor neurone disease is such a different illness, but… | 运动神经元病毕竟如此不同 但是… |
[25:30] | There was still hope with my daughter, right up to the end, | 即便到了最后 我女儿依然抱有希望 |
[25:35] | we were still hoping for another day, | 我们仍然希望能多活一天 |
[25:38] | and we had lovely times, | 我们也度过了快乐的时光 |
[25:41] | and I guess, maybe, if I thought about it, | 每当我想到这一点 |
[25:43] | there’s a bit of anger in me that, | 我就有些生气 |
[25:46] | you know, why can’t Simon just do that? | 为什么西蒙不能这样 |
[25:48] | You know, your life closes in when you get ill, I think, | 疾病会让你的生活渐渐走向终点 |
[25:52] | but we still really enjoyed watching telly together, | 但我们依然可以一起开心地看电视 |
[25:56] | or eating together, | 一起吃饭 |
[25:57] | and it’s those little things that become so… | 而就是这样的小事会… |
[26:01] | So, maybe, there’s a bit of me that thinks, | 所以我会想 |
[26:03] | “Oh, why can’t you, you know, do that?” But… | “为什么你不能也这样做” 但是… |
[26:25] | 发件人 西蒙·宾纳 收件人 艾瑞卡·帕特里夏医生 | |
[26:26] | Wednesday 24th. | 24号 星期三 |
[26:29] | Hello, Erika. | 你好 艾瑞卡 |
[26:31] | I’ve just used Google Maps and you’re only 90 minutes’ drive | 我用谷歌地图发现从德国弗莱堡到你的住所 |
[26:34] | from Freiburg, Germany, | 只要90分钟车程 |
[26:36] | where Debbie and I ‘will be on holiday with two friends, | 我和黛比将和两位好友去那里度假 |
[26:38] | Will and Chris Watson. | 威尔和克里丝·华生 |
[26:41] | Will Watson is also my business partner. | 威尔·华生同时也是我的工作伙伴 |
[26:45] | We were both born in November 1957. | 我们都是1957年11月出生的 |
[26:48] | I’ve known him since we were eight-year-old boys at Bolton School. | 我八岁时在博尔顿学校就认识了他 |
[26:53] | I could get Will to drive me over to meet you, | 我可以让威尔载我去看望你 |
[26:55] | if that was convenient. | 不知道方不方便 |
[26:58] | I would like to book myself into your clinic on Monday, 2nd November. | 我希望能约在11月2日周一去你的诊所 |
[27:02] | Ebullient regards, Simon Binner. | 祝好 西蒙·宾纳 |
[27:05] | If you say you want to go on the 2nd of November, | 虽然你现在说约在11月2号 |
[27:09] | what if you, a week before, say, | 但还剩一周的时候 |
[27:10] | Well, I want to hang on a bit longer? | 也许你改变主意想延期了呢 |
[27:19] | – You don’t know that. – You don’t know. | -你怎么知道 -这事说不准啊 |
[27:21] | – No, I won’t. – Well, I’ll ask her that. | -不 不会的 -反正我要问问能不能改期 |
[27:24] | What’s so significant about the 2nd of November? | 11月2号是什么重要的日子吗 |
[27:26] | It’s his birthday. | 是他的生日 |
[27:30] | We met at primary school. | 我们在小学认识的 |
[27:33] | He was always the guy telling jokes, the, the… | 他总是在讲笑话 |
[27:39] | the big man in the crowd, the leader of the gang. | 他总是人群的焦点 很有领导力 |
[27:52] | – Oh, OK. – So, you’ll be quirky in that… | -好吧 -这样就出名了… |
[27:57] | One worry I have with Simon, | 我很担心西蒙的一点是 |
[28:00] | he has a tendency for the big gesture. | 他很喜欢大动作 |
[28:04] | That this may be | 你懂我意思吗 |
[28:06] | the big gesture to end them all, if you see what I mean. | 也许安乐死就是他最后一个大动作 |
[28:10] | And that once he’s made the decision and publicised his intention, | 一旦他做出决定并公之于众 |
[28:15] | he will then feel locked into it, even though | 我担心他会被这个决定束缚 |
[28:20] | he might be having second thoughts later. | 哪怕他后来已经改了主意 |
[28:22] | – So, you haven’t actually met her before? – No. | -你之前从来没有见过她吗 -没见过 |
[28:25] | – Have you thought of the questions you want to ask her? – No. | -那你想过要问她什么问题吗 -没想过 |
[28:29] | Well, THAT is a worry. | 我就是担心这个 |
[28:32] | It worries me that you’re not thinking these things through. | 我很担心这一切你都没有想清楚 |
[28:35] | No, I have thought these things through! | 不 我已经想清楚了 |
[28:41] | How do you know you’re going downhill? | 你怎么知道你的身体在走下坡路 |
[28:50] | But that doesn’t stop you living. | 但这不影响你正常生活 |
[28:52] | You can eat, your arms and legs work, you can see, | 你能吃饭 手脚也灵便 能看 |
[28:55] | you can hear, you can… | 能听 还能… |
[29:00] | Everyone feels vulnerable at some point, so… | 谁没有脆弱的时候… |
[29:02] | And you’re not thinking about these things, you’re just saying, | 你根本没有仔细考虑 直接就随口一说 |
[29:04] | I’m booking on the 2nd November. | 我要把日子定在11月2号 |
[29:07] | Because I think that’s panic. | 我觉得你是心里慌了 |
[29:08] | I am going down like this. | 我的身体状况急转直下 |
[29:11] | Yes, but… No, you are saying you are going down like this… | 不 是你自己认为身体每况愈下 |
[29:13] | – I am, I am! – You’re not. | -这是事实 -不是 |
[29:23] | We have far too many demands for assisted dying. | 我们收到了很多安乐死的请求 |
[29:28] | More demands than you have dates to give to the people. | 需求量已经超过了我们的限额 |
[29:33] | Ja. | 是 |
[29:35] | Klar, klar, klar. Ja. | 对 没错 |
[29:40] | How can you decide to which ones you say no, | 该如何决定接受谁的请求 |
[29:43] | to which ones you say yes? | 又拒绝谁的请求呢 |
[29:45] | Come in. Come in. | 请进 请进 |
[29:49] | In Switzerland, the guidelines are, | 在瑞士 安乐死的规定是 |
[29:51] | you must have some sort of illness, | 必须身患某种疾病 |
[29:55] | you must be of sound mind, | 必须神志清醒 |
[29:57] | you must have been thinking about it for a long time. | 必须经过深思熟虑 |
[30:02] | I have to listen and make sure | 我需要认真倾听 |
[30:04] | they are not throwing something away, | 确保他们没有过早地 |
[30:06] | the most precious gift of life, | 抛弃大好年华 |
[30:09] | that has ever been given to them, too early. | 放弃人生最珍贵的馈赠 |
[30:29] | – Yes. – Never. | -没错 -绝对不行 |
[30:44] | You have thought it through. | 你想清楚了 |
[30:48] | – You want to die. – Yeah. | -你选择死亡 -没错 |
[30:49] | Yes. | 没错 |
[31:04] | You have an incurable illness, | 你身患绝症 |
[31:06] | you are of sound mind, | 意识清醒 |
[31:09] | you don’t seem to be depressed, | 虽然身体情况不好 |
[31:10] | even though you have a very bad illness, | 但你并没有因此情绪低落 |
[31:13] | which is very good… | 这是好事 |
[31:14] | – Can I ask you a question about it? – Yes, of course. | -我能问你个问题吗 -当然 |
[31:16] | Because how do you know he’s of sound mind at the moment? | 你怎么知道他现在是意识清醒的 |
[31:20] | Just by talking to him. | 通过和他交谈 |
[31:22] | – Right. – Just by listening to him. | -是吗 -通过倾听他所说的话 |
[31:24] | Could it be that he’s just really scared today | 有没有可能他只是今天特别害怕 |
[31:28] | and that maybe as time… Like tomorrow, | 或许过段时间 比如说明天 |
[31:32] | the next day, he might feel a bit different. | 他可能会对这件事有不同的想法 |
[31:35] | Cos his… Cos I live with him | 因为他 因为我每天陪着他 |
[31:37] | – and see his mood go up and down. – Yes, yes. | -我知道他情绪会有高低起伏 -没错 |
[31:41] | I think what makes me worry is that he’s so frightened… | 所以我很担心 他只是太害怕了… |
[31:50] | But you’re frightened of being incapacitated. | 但你害怕自己不能自理 |
[32:05] | It worries me that it’s a knee-jerk reaction. | 我担心他这个决定太轻率 |
[32:07] | “Right, that’s it. I’m kind of going and…” | “就这么定了 我要安乐死…” |
[32:12] | And I want him to think about it more deeply and… | 我希望他能更深入地考虑这件事 |
[32:16] | It depends on what you want. | 这取决于你想要什么 |
[32:19] | But it’s your decision. | 但决定权在你们手中 |
[32:21] | Why are you so sure, Erika? | 艾瑞卡 你为何如此肯定 |
[32:25] | Why do you feel so passionately about it? | 为什么你会如此热衷此事 |
[32:28] | You only have to listen to people. | 只需要认真地倾听 |
[32:31] | You really have to listen to them. | 倾听他们内心的声音 |
[32:33] | You know, he’s not a child. | 他不是孩子 |
[32:35] | He knows what he wants to do. | 他知道自己想要什么 |
[32:37] | And it is his life. | 这是他的人生 |
[32:39] | He has been taking responsibility for his life for many, many years, | 这么多年来 他一直掌控着自己的人生 |
[32:44] | and he’s a strong-minded person. | 而且他很有主见 |
[32:47] | And now, at the end of life, | 现在 他的生命接近尾声 |
[32:49] | that he gets weaker… | 身体也越来越虚弱 |
[32:52] | He is still strong-minded, | 可他依然很有主见 |
[32:54] | but people tend to treat | 但因为他的疾病 |
[32:59] | as if they were children. | 人们总容易将他当成小孩 |
[33:02] | I can understand what you want. | 我完全能理解你的想法 |
[33:05] | You would like to keep your husband as long as possible | 你希望能将丈夫尽可能长久地留在身边 |
[33:08] | Because you love him. | 因为你爱他 |
[33:12] | And it’s very, very difficult to accept. | 这件事本身就很难接受 |
[33:17] | Saying goodbye before nature… | 在自然死亡之前… |
[33:23] | Forces you to. | 被迫选择离别 |
[33:28] | People who have to let go | 留下来的人 |
[33:30] | do the more difficult job than the people who go. | 比选择离开的人更痛苦 |
[33:35] | That’s very important to know. | 这一点非常重要 |
[33:37] | It is much easier to go into an assisted dying | 自己去做安乐死 |
[33:41] | than to accept an assisted dying. | 比接受亲人安乐死要简单得多 |
[33:43] | Do you know why? | 你知道为什么吗 |
[33:46] | After you’re dead, you’re dead. | 一旦死了 那就是死了 |
[33:50] | – Yeah. – You’re out of the problems. | -是的 -你已经解脱了 |
[33:52] | But your wife has to go on living. | 但是你的妻子要继续活下去 |
[34:00] | You must ask yourself. Is it his decision? | 你得问问你自己 决定权是在他手里 |
[34:03] | Is it your decision? | 还是在你手里 |
[34:05] | Is it his life? Is it your life? | 这是他的人生 还是你的人生 |
[34:10] | I know it’s difficult. | 我知道很不容易 |
[34:14] | Dying does not have to be something horrible. | 其实死亡并不一定是很可怕的事 |
[34:17] | Dying can be something… | 死亡可以是… |
[34:19] | Something like a ceremony. | 像是某种仪式 |
[34:22] | Do you know, last week, we had an assisted dying | 对了 上周我们实施了一例安乐死 |
[34:24] | and this lady had 21 people who were with her. | 当时那位女士身边有21个人陪着 |
[34:29] | – Really? – 21 people. | -真的 -21个人 |
[34:31] | That was the most… the highest number that we ever had. | 这是我们见过陪同人数最多的一次 |
[34:34] | And it was so nice… | 感觉十分温馨 |
[34:41] | You must do it your way. | 你要按自己的想法来 |
[34:52] | – You would like to die on your birthday? – Yeah. | -你希望在生日那天去世吗 -是 |
[34:58] | I’m a little bit afraid | 我有点担心 |
[35:00] | that you hang on to your birthday so strongly | 你太执着于要选在生日当天 |
[35:05] | that you are not willing to postpone it. | 会让你不愿意延期 |
[35:09] | If you were as well as you are now on the end of October, | 如果十月底 你的身体和现在一样好 |
[35:13] | would you postpone it? | 你愿意推迟吗 |
[35:15] | – If you were exactly like you are now? – Yes. | -身体状况完全一样 -愿意 |
[35:18] | – Then you would postpone it? – Yes. | -你会推迟吗 -会的 |
[35:21] | For me, it is important to know this. | 我需要知道这一点 |
[35:24] | I do not want you to go too early. | 我不希望你走得太匆匆 |
[35:36] | The 2nd November? | 11月2日吗 |
[35:38] | You are welcome to have an assisted dying, for sure. | 你可以接受安乐死 这是肯定的 |
[35:51] | The things you bloody put me through. | 你就喜欢让我遭罪 |
[36:51] | It is a big step to take, isn’t it? | 这个决定非常重大 |
[36:55] | And he is doing it on his birthday. | 而他选择在生日当天进行 |
[36:58] | – Are you going to go, too? – Yes. I am. | -你会去吗 -会去 |
[37:02] | I was there when he was born. | 他出生的时候我就在场 |
[37:07] | I don’t encourage him, | 我不鼓励他这样做 |
[37:09] | but I will go along with whatever he wants. | 但我会支持他做的一切决定 |
[37:12] | He will stay as long as he’s enjoying himself, won’t he? | 只要他活得还开心 就不会选择离开 |
[37:16] | I think. | 大概吧 |
[37:17] | I don’t know if anybody ever does go to Switzerland | 我不知道有没有人去了瑞士 |
[37:20] | and come home, change their mind. | 又回家了 改变了主意 |
[37:22] | I don’t know if they’ve ever done. Do you? | 不知道会不会有 你知道吗 |
[37:32] | Text message to College Boys. | 给大学同学们的短信 |
[37:36] | I am booked to die now on Monday, 2nd November. | 我预约了11月2日周一的安乐死 |
[37:40] | Thank you for bringing the annual Christ College reunion forwards on my account. | 感谢你们为了我 将基督学院年度聚会提前举行 |
[38:04] | 39 years now. | 39年了 |
[38:09] | In a way, we’re like brothers. | 某种程度上我们就像亲兄弟 |
[38:13] | He was the funny one, | 他是最幽默的 |
[38:15] | he always made us laugh. | 总是逗我们笑 |
[38:25] | We have always laughed a lot. | 我们经常一起大笑 |
[38:27] | Binner told the best jokes that I’d ever heard. | 宾纳的笑话是我听过最好笑的 |
[38:30] | We used to do ludicrous things. | 我们一起干过不少傻事 |
[38:31] | Binner and I used to try and not go to bed for 72 hours. | 我跟宾纳曾经试过72小时不睡觉 |
[38:35] | So, we would stay up for days and nights | 当时就整日整夜地熬着不睡 |
[38:37] | cos we’d try and hallucinate. | 想产生幻觉 |
[38:40] | Nothing was predictable. | 世事难料 |
[38:42] | There was some holiday | 有时候出去玩 |
[38:42] | where he managed to tell people all the way through, | 一路上他会与同行乘客攀谈 |
[38:44] | for some bizarre reason, | 因为一些莫名的缘由 |
[38:45] | that he was a funeral director, | 他会说自己是葬礼策划人 |
[38:47] | and maintained this fiction for two weeks or something. | 而且会一直假扮这个身份两周甚至更久 |
[38:51] | – Salut! – Salute! | -干杯 -致敬 |
[38:53] | Get it right, man! | 好好喝一个 |
[38:54] | Salut! Is it salut or salute? | 干杯 是干杯还是致敬 |
[38:58] | We are actually all feeling distraught, you know? | 我们其实都很悲痛 |
[39:02] | We have sustained a very close set of friendships all this time | 这么多年了 我们之间的友谊非常深厚 |
[39:05] | and he is utterly central to our group. | 他是这个圈子的核心 |
[39:10] | I know I am probably more sentimental than many other people, | 我可能比其他人更多愁善感 |
[39:12] | and I have cried every time I’ve seen him | 前几个月 |
[39:14] | for the last few months! | 我每次见他都会哭 |
[39:15] | So, I saw him last Saturday, I cried pathetically. | 上周六我见他的时候 嚎啕大哭 |
[39:19] | Some of these people here, | 这次来聚会的一些人 |
[39:20] | this will be the last time they see him. | 可能是最后一次跟他见面了 |
[39:22] | Really good to see you. | 很高兴能再次见到你 |
[39:26] | I was sort of shocked and surprised | 我当时真的很震惊 |
[39:30] | to know that Simon had set a date for his… | 听西蒙说他已经定好了日期去… |
[39:36] | What’s the appropriate term? Assisted suicide? | 该怎么说呢 是叫安乐死吗 |
[39:40] | He seems to be checking out ahead of his time. | 他似乎选择了提前离开这个世界 |
[39:44] | And I am not entirely comfortable with his decision. | 我对他的决定并不是很满意 |
[39:53] | We’re all crushed. | 我们都很难过 |
[39:56] | How can one be reconciled to someone | 谁都无法接受 |
[39:58] | who is so great taking themselves off at the age of 58 | 这么好的人 却在58岁时远赴异国他乡 |
[40:01] | and killing themselves? | 选择自我了结 |
[40:05] | I think he’s chosen a date which is too soon. | 我觉得他定的日期太早了 |
[40:12] | 发件人:西蒙·桑德伯格 收件人:西蒙·宾纳 | |
[40:15] | Bins, I know you feel strongly about it | 宾纳 我知道你意已决 |
[40:18] | But I do feel that setting a date in advance is | 但我真的认为提前安排死亡时间 |
[40:20] | potentially deeply problematic. | 会间接带来很多问题 |
[40:23] | Debs has real Qualms about you choosing the date in advance | 黛比对你安排的日期充满了不安 |
[40:26] | and that worries me, too. | 这也让我很担忧 |
[40:29] | Debbie has rights in this. | 黛比有权参与你的决定 |
[40:41] | Taking yourself off to Switzerland | 决定去瑞士安乐死 |
[40:43] | could be seen as selfish. | 某种程度上可以算是自私 |
[40:48] | Binner is very forceful, | 宾纳比较强势 |
[40:50] | but he is arguable-with. | 但他也很讲理 |
[40:52] | If Debbie was more resolute in saying, | 如果黛比很强硬地说 |
[40:54] | Binnie, no, you can’t do this, | 宾纳 不行 不能这样 |
[40:55] | I forbid you from doing it. | 我不允许你这么做 |
[40:57] | That would make it a much more difficult matter for all of us. | 这样事情可能会变得 更加困难 |
[42:21] | He is changing as a person. | 他的性格也在变化 |
[42:25] | I sense his, kind of, creeping isolation. | 我能感觉到 他渐渐流露出的疏离 |
[42:29] | I am doing more and more, | 我帮他做的事越来越多 |
[42:31] | which he gets increasingly cross about, but… | 他也因此越来越暴躁 但是… |
[42:40] | I hate the fact that he thinks because he has an illness, | 我不喜欢他觉得因为自己生了病 |
[42:44] | he is somehow less worthy of being able to live, | 就好像不该继续活着一样 |
[42:47] | enjoy things and have the right to stay alive. | 不该享受生活 没有继续活下去的权利 |
[42:51] | I feel very, very strongly that he is not a burden. | 我完全没有觉得他是累赘 |
[42:59] | It’s those little practical things that can help. | 生活中的琐事能让他开心一点 |
[43:02] | Ralph needs to be walked twice a day. | 拉尔夫每天要出去遛两次 |
[43:06] | 麦克 西蒙的朋友 | |
[43:07] | He can’t walk Ralph now. | 他现在不能遛拉尔夫了 |
[43:13] | – What? – Mountain biking. | -什么 -山地骑行 |
[43:17] | Mountain biking. | 山地骑行 |
[43:19] | – “Moneymaking”? – No! Mountain! | -“憨豆旅行” -不是 山地 |
[43:23] | Biking… | 骑行… |
[43:25] | Oh, yes, mountain biking. | 知道了 山地骑行 |
[43:26] | So, I mean, three months ago, | 三个月前 |
[43:30] | less than three months ago, Bins and I | 不到三个月前吧 我跟宾纳 |
[43:31] | were cycling in the Italian Alps, cycling up mountains. | 还去在意大利阿尔卑斯山上骑自行车了 |
[43:36] | The speed of change, it’s accelerated. | 病情恶化的速度已经加快 |
[43:45] | We are all in fast-forward at the moment, | 一切都在快进 |
[43:47] | and you want to try and stall it, | 哪怕你试着去拖延时间 |
[43:49] | you want to try and capture every moment. | 试着去抓住每一分每一秒 |
[43:52] | And you can’t. | 也是徒劳 |
[43:54] | How are you feeling about the November date? | 你对他定的日期什么看法 |
[43:59] | I am dreading it. | 我感到非常恐惧 |
[44:00] | And I am disbelieving it, in a way, | 某种程度上来说 我不愿相信 |
[44:04] | I don’t want to believe it, | 我不想承认它的存在 |
[44:06] | because that’s… | 因为… |
[44:07] | I’m probably not the only one, that’s my way of coping. | 可能不只是我这样 但我是这么想的 |
[44:11] | As I was coming over here today, | 我今天过来的路上 |
[44:13] | I was figuring out how many days left, you know, | 想了想还剩多少天 |
[44:16] | how many weeks left. | 还剩几周 |
[44:17] | And it’s… And it’s… | 然后发现… |
[44:20] | It’s going so quickly. | 时间过得太快了 |
[44:23] | Well, it’s… It’s eight weeks, it’s eight weeks. | 只剩…八周了 只有八周 |
[44:26] | just under eight weeks now. | 现在都不到八周了 |
[44:42] | Are you OK this morning? Yes? | 你今早还好吗 |
[45:31] | All right? | 可以吗 |
[45:34] | Yeah? | 怎么样 |
[45:37] | Yes. | 好的 |
[45:43] | Three. | 三个 |
[45:45] | Ok, ok. | 好的 好的 |
[45:49] | 斯蜜塔太棒了 她是个非常善良可爱的女人 | |
[45:56] | – Thank you. – Yes? | -谢谢 -什么 |
[45:59] | – Thank you. – You’re welcome. | -谢谢 -不客气 |
[46:01] | 现况很糟糕 但因为斯密塔很耐心 让我觉得这件事没那么难以接受 | |
[46:11] | MPs will today be debating whether to legalise assisted dying. | 议员们今天将针对安乐死的合法化展开争论 |
[46:15] | The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, | 坎特伯雷大主教 贾斯汀·威尔比 |
[46:16] | has described it as one of the biggest dilemmas of our time. | 称安乐死是我们当今最大的矛盾焦点 |
[46:21] | Order! | 肃静 |
[46:23] | It’s a great honour to speak on a debate | 很荣幸能在这场讨论会上发言 |
[46:25] | which is actually a matter of life or death. | 本次论题真的事关生死 |
[46:30] | \fs22)}议案要求通过一项新法令 允许剩余生命不足六个月的人请求注射死亡 | |
[46:38] | I think it’s naive to believe that we can prevent | 如果法案通过 很可能会导致 |
[46:40] | the persuasion of an elderly, expensive or asset-rich relative | 一些资产雄厚或者身价昂贵的老人 |
[46:44] | being encouraged, coerced or emotionally blackmailed | 因为被人教唆 遭人胁迫或威胁 |
[46:47] | – into taking their own life. – Hear, hear! | -而选择自杀 -说得好 |
[46:50] | I’ve cared for my husband for five years, | 我照顾了我丈夫五年 |
[46:53] | and I saw when life changed | 我很清楚地看到过 |
[46:57] | to being a burden. | 生命如何变成了负担 |
[46:59] | Who wants to travel to Switzerland? | 谁愿意去瑞士 |
[47:00] | Why should we have to? | 为什么要去瑞士 |
[47:02] | Why can’t we die at home, | 为什么不能死在自己家里 |
[47:03] | which is where most people want to? | 大多数人肯定希望在家中死去 |
[47:05] | We are here to protect the most vulnerable in our society, | 我们的职责是保护社会中的弱势群体 |
[47:10] | not to legislate to kill them. | 而不是帮助他们去死 |
[47:12] | It says something for any society, | 通过观察人们如何照顾弱势群体 |
[47:14] | the way in which they look after their most vulnerable and their elderly, | 能够看出一个社会的本质 |
[47:18] | and I fundamentally worry | 而我非常担心 |
[47:20] | that we are starting down a path that essentially says | 我们即将踏上的这条路 |
[47:23] | that those lives are worth less. | 最终会让他们的生命不再可贵 |
[47:31] | I am a GP from Margate | 我是马尔盖特的一名医生 |
[47:32] | and I’m very concerned that this bill, | 我十分担心这份法案 |
[47:34] | I think, is detrimental to this country. | 我觉得这份法案对国家不利 |
[47:37] | Essentially, if this goes through, | 从本质上讲 如果法案通过 |
[47:38] | metaphorically, on Monday morning, | 打个比喻 在周一早晨 |
[47:39] | I could cure people with my left hand | 我可以用左手去治愈患者 |
[47:41] | and kill them with my right. | 也能用右手杀死他们 |
[47:43] | It is God who determines when a person should die. | 一个人何时去世 由上帝决定 |
[47:48] | It is God’s will, isn’t it? Good old God! | 又是上帝的旨意是吗 哪都有上帝 |
[47:50] | Oh, yes, oh, yes! It’s the meaning of life. | 是的 没错 这就是生命的意义 |
[47:53] | Well, that’s good for you, | 随你怎么想 |
[47:55] | cos I don’t believe in God, | 但我不相信上帝 |
[47:56] | cos your so-called God took my wife away. | 因为你所谓的上帝带走了我的妻子 |
[47:59] | The House of Commons has voted decisively | 下议院的投票结果 |
[48:01] | against proposals to give terminally ill patients | 明确驳回了这份法案 拒绝给予绝症患者 |
[48:04] | the right to end their lives under medical supervision. | 在医务监督下结束自己生命的权利 |
[48:19] | This is such a crushing defeat, it settles this matter | 双方票数悬殊 这也就注定了 |
[48:23] | in terms of legislation for the foreseeable future. | 在可预见的将来 安乐死也不能合法化 |
[48:26] | It leaves us with the status quo of one Briton per fortnight | 也就是说平均每两周 就会有一个英国人 |
[48:30] | travelling to Switzerland to die with the help of the suicide… | 要远赴瑞士接受安乐死… |
[49:09] | I’ve become suddenly very, kind of strong-willed about it. | 我突然对这件事非常坚定 |
[49:11] | I think I was just going along with Simon, | 我之前就只是一味听西蒙的话 |
[49:14] | and I suddenly felt this isn’t the right decision. | 但我突然觉得这个决定不对 |
[49:17] | This isn’t right for him, | 他这样做是不对的 |
[49:18] | and he’s giving mixed messages. | 而且他自己也摇摆不定 |
[49:22] | We need to explore another way. | 我们需要另想办法 |
[49:29] | And when the Assisted Dying Bill | 《安乐死法案》 |
[49:30] | got voted down yesterday, I was pleased, | 昨天被否决 我挺开心的 |
[49:34] | and I thought it was the, kind of… | 我觉得这是一种… |
[49:37] | I am only just saying what I think. | 我只是表达我心中所想 |
[49:41] | It’s a kind of vote for | 我认为这是一场 |
[49:44] | the sanctity of a human life, to me, | 关乎人类生命的神圣投票 |
[49:46] | without sounding too twee and dramatic about it. | 我没有矫情 也不想太夸张 |
[49:49] | But, this… | 不过… |
[49:51] | I want to look really, really carefully | 我非常想了解清楚 |
[49:53] | at what’s on offer with hospice care. | 临终关怀能提供些什么 |
[49:55] | Simon can tell me to bugger off, | 西蒙可以让我闭嘴 |
[49:56] | it’s his life, but that’s how I feel. | 毕竟是他的生命 但这是我的看法 |
[50:06] | Simon was referred by his consultant at King’s. | 西蒙由国王大学医院的顾问医生转介过来 |
[50:11] | His first appointment was very much focusing on | 他第一次来看诊时 主要关注了 |
[50:13] | 茱莉·谢尔顿 圣克里斯托弗安养院 社工 | |
[50:14] | what we could offer here at St Christopher’s, | 圣克里斯托弗安养院能提供什么 |
[50:16] | what sort of medical intervention we could offer. | 我们能够提供哪些形式的医疗干预 |
[50:23] | If someone’s breathless, for example | 如果病人喘不过气 |
[50:25] | when someone develops breathing difficulty because of diaphragm weakness, | 由于膈肌无力 出现了呼吸困难 |
[50:28] | the first thing we can do | 我们首先可以 |
[50:29] | is offer them non-invasive ventilation, | 给他们提供无创通气 |
[50:29] | 艾哈·沙拉比教授 西蒙的神经病学顾问医生 | |
[50:31] | which is a mask that goes over the face. | 也就是戴上氧气面罩 |
[50:33] | When they breathe in, it detects that | 病人吸气时 它可以监测得到 |
[50:35] | and helps by blowing air in. | 并送气帮助呼吸 |
[50:38] | But at some point, it won’t be effective. | 但总有一天 面罩会失去效果 |
[50:42] | To take away the feeling of panic or breathlessness, | 那么为了消除恐慌感和呼吸困难 |
[50:45] | we give morphine. | 我们会使用吗啡 |
[50:46] | If that happens to shorten life, then so be it. | 虽然有缩短寿命的风险 但也只能如此 |
[50:50] | The law and the ethics around this are very clear. | 法律和道德对此有着相当清楚的规定 |
[50:53] | We’re not allowed to give drugs to end someone’s life, | 我们不能用药物结束患者的生命 |
[50:56] | but if the aim of giving a drug is to relieve distress, | 但如果用药是为了减轻痛楚 |
[50:58] | and that might shorten life, | 药物副作用是缩短寿命 |
[51:00] | we are ethically obliged to give that treatment. | 这种情况下 有权利给予药物治疗 |
[51:07] | We then talked about the fact | 后来我们谈到了 |
[51:10] | that he’d taken total control over going to Switzerland. | 他去不去瑞士完全由自己决定 |
[51:15] | But knowing that Debbie and his family didn’t want him to go | 但得知黛比和家人不希望他去后 |
[51:19] | was really sort of conflicting him. | 他真的很矛盾 |
[51:25] | He really sort of talked about Debbie… | 他会提到黛比 |
[51:28] | wanting to do it sort of right by her. | 不希望对不起她 |
[51:32] | With Debbie losing Chloe two years previously, | 毕竟两年前黛比刚失去了克洛伊 |
[51:36] | the impact on her was going to be absolutely enormous. | 这件事会对她造成巨大的打击 |
[51:39] | He was very mindful of that, | 他非常担心这一点 |
[51:41] | so that really played into his decision-making. | 也着实影响了他的决定 |
[52:01] | We’d been told very clearly | 医生很清楚地告诉过我们 |
[52:02] | that actually the death from motor neurone disease is not a bad death. | 其实运动神经元病带来的死亡并不痛苦 |
[52:08] | It’s often with pneumonia. | 通常会死于肺炎 |
[52:10] | And, actually, we’re living with disability now and we’re managing. | 其实现在他已经行动不便 而我们过得也不错 |
[52:17] | And we have nice times and difficult times | 我们有开心时光 也有难过的时候 |
[52:20] | and sometimes you wake up and think, | 有时候醒来会想 |
[52:22] | God, this is dreadful, how has this happened? | 天啊 太可怕了 怎么会发生这样的事 |
[52:25] | And other times, we’re sitting laughing, | 还有的时候 我们开怀大笑 |
[52:27] | surrounded by family and friends. | 被家人朋友幸福地包围着 |
[52:29] | And there’s still lots of bits that are really lovely about life. | 生活中仍有许多美好的事情 |
[52:34] | And I cannot take him to Basel | 我无法带他到巴塞尔 |
[52:41] | because I don’t think it’s… | 因为我不认为… |
[52:42] | One, I don’t think it’s the right thing to do, | 第一 我不认为这是正确的选择 |
[52:44] | and two, and perhaps most importantly, | 第二 可能也是最重要的 |
[52:47] | I don’t believe he really wants to go. | 我不相信他真的想离开 |
[52:51] | You are reconsidering? | 你在重新考虑吗 |
[52:57] | He is, apparently. | 明显是的 |
[52:59] | I am. | 是的 |
[53:03] | In him reconsidering, we suddenly have hope again. | 因为他在重新考虑 我们突然又有了希望 |
[53:08] | That’s a real change. | 这是个很大的转变 |
[53:17] | I thought they’d be indifferent to the timing of my demise. | 我以为他们不会在乎我的辞世日期 |
[53:21] | I was so wrong. | 我完全错了 |
[53:24] | If I was single, I’d be gone. Definitely. | 如果我是一个人 我绝对会选择离开 |
[53:33] | But I’m not single. | 但我不是一个人 |
[53:35] | And I have responsibilities to others | 而且我现在才开始意识到 |
[53:37] | that I’m only now starting to fully understand. | 我得对别人负责 |
[53:48] | 新信息 西蒙·宾纳 | |
[53:50] | Tuesday, 22nd September. | 9月22日 周二 |
[53:53] | Dear friends, we’re having | 亲爱的朋友们 这个周五 |
[53:55] | another one of my ludicrous games parties this Friday. | 我将再次举行搞笑游戏聚会 |
[54:01] | Hoop a cone will be a featured event. | 特别活动是套圈游戏 |
[54:03] | And women have all been instructed | 女士们请穿裤子 |
[54:05] | to wear trousers for the tree swing. | 参加荡秋千的游戏 |
[54:08] | Tim, on account of your height and bulk, | 提姆 鉴于你高大的身材 |
[54:11] | you are hereby duly appointed CBTO | 你被任命为CBTO |
[54:15] | Chief Bins Transportation Officer. | 也就是首席宾纳运输官 |
[54:18] | Congratulations upon your elevation to high office. | 恭喜你的升职 |
[54:31] | Here? | 这里 |
[54:32] | Here? | 放这里吗 |
[54:52] | He’s still taking part in things. | 他仍在参与活动 |
[54:55] | He’s very competitive. | 他非常好胜 |
[54:58] | This wins it. | 这就赢了 |
[55:02] | Yes. | 好的 |
[55:04] | Yes! | 太好了 |
[55:07] | He can still write. | 他还能写字 |
[55:09] | When his writing slows down, we don’t know what will happen. | 当他写字速度变慢 我们不知道将发生什么 |
[55:12] | But at the moment, he’s doing very well, actually, | 但现在 他状况其实还不错 |
[55:15] | and getting so much support from everybody. | 而且大家给了他许多支持 |
[55:18] | He’s always been very sociable, and, in the years, it’s paid off. | 他总是非常友善 这么多年来 一切都值得 |
[55:23] | He’s got all his daft friends that have grown up very supportive. | 他有一群一起长大互相支持的傻瓜朋友 |
[55:27] | – It’s the most uncomfortable bloody seat. – Are you on? | -这座位真难受 -你坐好了吗 |
[55:29] | I suppose so, yes. | 应该好了 |
[55:31] | Right, do you want left hand or right hand? | 好的 你想用左手还是右手 |
[55:32] | I think left hand, | 左手吧 |
[55:33] | cos I’m going to hold on tight with my right hand. | 因为我想用右手抓住绳子 |
[55:37] | It feels like a stay of execution. | 这感觉像是等待判决 |
[55:38] | That’s exactly what it feels like. | 就是这种感觉 |
[55:42] | I still value his friendship, | 我仍然珍惜他的友谊 |
[55:44] | I still enjoy being in his company. | 享受在他的公司工作 |
[55:54] | When we were children, | 在我们小时候 |
[55:56] | there was always some competition going on. | 总会有一些比赛 |
[56:05] | I think he’s still enjoying life. | 我觉得他仍在享受人生 |
[56:10] | He laughs so much. | 他经常笑 |
[56:13] | He writes his texts or his notes, | 他自己写短信或笔记 |
[56:14] | 伊丽莎白 西蒙的妹妹 | |
[56:15] | and he’s shaking with laughter at his own jokes. | 他会被自己说的笑话笑翻 |
[56:25] | Whenever I see him, when I come home, I get in the car | 每次看完他回家 当我坐进车里 |
[56:28] | and I just think, “What a lovely day! What a happy house!” | 我总是想 “多么美好的一天 多么欢乐的一家啊” |
[56:45] | Right, are you saying anything for me, you guys? | 你们说句话呗 |
[56:49] | Sunday. | 周日 |
[56:52] | Nonsuch Park, the sun is shining. | 楠萨奇公园 阳光明媚 |
[57:02] | Debbie doesn’t want him to go to Switzerland. | 黛比不想让他去瑞士 |
[57:06] | It’s given him a way to reconsider. | 这使得他重新考虑 |
[57:10] | Analysing it day-by-day is probably a good thing. | 每天一点点地分析可能是件好事 |
[57:13] | But I think, in the end, it has to be his choice. | 但是我认为 最后还是要他自己决定 |
[57:21] | I don’t think I do always know what he’s feeling. | 我觉得我不总是了解他的感受 |
[57:30] | I think the games are a way of Simon deflecting attention. | 我觉得做游戏能让西蒙转移注意力 |
[57:40] | What is Simon going to be when he can’t communicate? | 当西蒙不能交流的时候会变成什么样 |
[57:46] | And I wouldn’t like him to let himself get to that stage | 我不想让他走到那一步 |
[57:49] | and then think, | 然后想着 |
[57:51] | Oh, no, now, I’m hating everything, | 不 现在我厌倦一切 |
[57:54] | but I’m sort of trapped. | 但是我无法逃脱了 |
[58:40] | I’ll be totally unable to communicate soon. | 我很快就会没办法和人交流了 |
[58:45] | It’s terrifying to think my only form | 失去我唯一的交流方式 |
[58:46] | of interaction will be gone. | 想想就可怕 |
[58:51] | Losing my voice is bad, but none… | 不能说话很糟糕 但什么也做不了… |
[58:56] | None is terrible. | 什么也做不了更恐怖 |
[59:09] | Debbie Binner wrote. | 黛比·宾纳写道 |
[59:11] | Simon Binner – Urgent. | 西蒙·宾纳 紧急 |
[59:13] | Dear Erika, Simon is sitting next to me | 亲爱的艾瑞卡 西蒙现在坐在我身边 |
[59:16] | after a terrifying morning. | 我们经历了一个可怕的上午 |
[59:18] | He has tried to hang himself. | 他企图上吊自杀 |
[59:21] | We have calmed him down. | 我们已经安抚住了他 |
[59:22] | But now, he is saying he needs to die now | 但是现在他说他要去死了 |
[59:26] | And wants to come as soon as possible. | 希望尽快能来 |
[59:28] | This Friday, 16th October, at the least. | 最晚这周五 也就是10月16日 |
[59:33] | Please, can you advise if it is possible. | 请告诉我 这可以吗 |
[59:36] | He says he’s desperate. | 他说他很绝望 |
[59:38] | Debbie Binner. Kind regards. | 黛比·宾纳 祝好 |
[59:43] | Yes, and I have told her that 16th October is not possible. | 我已经告诉她10月16日不行 |
[59:48] | And he promised me, by writing | 黛比转达说 |
[59:52] | and by Debbie telling me, | 他写字保证 |
[59:56] | that he would accept to come on Monday 19th | 他可以接受19日周一过来 |
[1:00:00] | and he promised that he would not do | 并且他保证不会 |
[1:00:02] | something like that any more. | 再做这种傻事了 |
[1:00:10] | Until this happened to Binner, I never really thought | 在宾纳之前 我从来没想过 |
[1:00:12] | that you could be so frightened of not dying. | 有人会害怕自己不死 |
[1:00:16] | And for Binns to have done what he did yesterday… | 在昨天宾纳尝试自杀之后 |
[1:00:21] | sort of demonstrates, | 一定程度上表明 |
[1:00:22] | given he’s not an unthinking or cruel person, | 因为他不是一个鲁莽残忍的人 |
[1:00:25] | sort of demonstrates the absolute horror that he feels, | 表明了他现在的感受绝对很可怕 |
[1:00:29] | that, I think, you know, he was so overwhelmed | 我觉得 他已经不堪重负 |
[1:00:32] | that he kind of lost the plot, in a way, | 他有点失去了理智 |
[1:00:35] | and did something which, you know I think is… | 并且做出我觉得… |
[1:00:40] | he was very, you know, he was properly sorry about. | 他可能会后悔的事 |
[1:00:46] | I think somehow we’ve missed those moments of | 我觉得我们已经错过了他 |
[1:00:50] | unendurable tragedy. | 经历无法忍受的悲剧的时刻 |
[1:00:53] | And…you know, you can just forget that | 你可以忘记这些 |
[1:00:56] | because you just see him as funny and upbeat and… | 因为你只看到他搞笑 乐观 |
[1:01:02] | you know, hilarious. | 欢乐的一面 |
[1:01:05] | There’s going to be a small farewell lunch party, | 我们会举行一个小型告别午餐派对 |
[1:01:10] | which Debbie’s sent a card… | 黛比寄了请柬 |
[1:01:13] | A sort of… given where they are, quite a jolly note about…on… | 为了 让他感受朋友围绕的快乐时光 |
[1:01:18] | on Friday. | 在周五举行 |
[1:01:25] | Dearest friends, our precious time is moving fast. | 亲爱的朋友们 宝贵的时光匆匆流逝 |
[1:01:29] | As I’m sure you all know, | 大家都知道 |
[1:01:30] | My precious Simon is going to Switzerland to end his life | 10月19日 周一 我亲爱的西蒙 |
[1:01:32] | On Monday, 19th October. | 就要去瑞士结束自己的生命了 |
[1:01:36] | We’ve had one hell of a week. | 我们经历了地狱般的一周 |
[1:01:37] | And in light of recent developments, | 鉴于最近发生的事情 |
[1:01:39] | Switzerland seems the kindest and best option. | 去瑞士看来是最佳选项了 |
[1:01:42] | Simon has made it very clear that he’s had enough. | 西蒙明确表明他已经受够了 |
[1:01:51] | Please know that you will find us beaten, | 周五你们会看到我们沮丧 |
[1:01:53] | Battle-weary and bruised on Friday. | 一身疲惫 伤痕累累的样子 |
[1:01:56] | But we love you all and want to celebrate one last time | 但是我们爱你们 想和你们最后一次欢聚一堂 |
[1:01:58] | In a gentle, more low-key way than before. | 以一种更温柔低调的方式告别 |
[1:02:01] | Love, hugs and strengths, Debbie. | 爱 拥抱和力量 黛比 |
[1:02:19] | 我最多只能撑到2016年1月 这样他们会记得更好的我 他们不会想看到我无法交流又无助的样子的 对他们对我都不好看 | |
[1:02:27] | Are you scared? | 你害怕吗 |
[1:02:28] | No. | 不 |
[1:02:31] | No. | 不怕 |
[1:02:51] | 我完全不害怕 这是一种解脱 | |
[1:03:03] | He’s not in a good state now, | 他目前的情况不容乐观 |
[1:03:05] | and I know, before, I fought and battled so hard, | 我曾努力地战斗过 |
[1:03:08] | but he’s made it very clear | 但他已经表明得很清楚 |
[1:03:10] | that he does not want to carry on his life. | 不想继续活下去了 |
[1:03:17] | I feel furious, um… | 我感到怒火 |
[1:03:22] | Tender. Loving. | 柔情 爱意 |
[1:03:25] | Um…protective. | 守护 |
[1:03:30] | So pleased I married him. | 我很高兴成为他的妻子 |
[1:03:32] | And I’ll miss him terribly. | 我会非常思念他 |
[1:03:41] | It’s terribly sad, terribly sad. | 这太让人难过了 |
[1:03:43] | And, um… And we love each other. | 我们深爱彼此 |
[1:03:47] | It’s, um… | 只是 |
[1:03:49] | But I think, at the end of the day, | 但我觉得 到头来 |
[1:03:52] | if you love someone, | 如果你爱一个人 |
[1:03:53] | you have to do what they want to do. | 你还是得遵从他们的选择 |
[1:03:57] | And… | 而且 |
[1:04:00] | and I think we’ve got to the point where, when Simon does die, | 我想就算真的到了西蒙去世的那天 |
[1:04:04] | it’s not… | 也不是… |
[1:04:05] | It won’t…take away what we’ve had, | 它也带不走我们曾经拥有的东西 |
[1:04:09] | it will be there still | 一切都会如往常一样 |
[1:04:14] | and I think I’m so glad I met him. | 我很高兴能和他相遇 |
[1:04:18] | 我爱你 我们已经尽力做到最好了 我非常高兴能遇见黛比 亲亲 | |
[1:04:48] | I said goodbye to him at the party. | 我在派对上和他道别 |
[1:04:51] | He was lying down, tired, in the room | 他疲惫地躺在房间里 |
[1:04:55] | and when he came to say goodbye to me, we had a good cry. | 当他对我说再见时 我们嚎啕大哭了一场 |
[1:04:59] | And Elizabeth said, Well, he didn’t want to cry | 伊丽莎白说 他不想 |
[1:05:03] | when he was saying goodbye to us. | 在和我们道别时流泪 |
[1:05:04] | He wanted to keep his act going all the time, didn’t he? | 他总是想按自己的剧本走 不是吗 |
[1:05:10] | So, we both cried. | 结果我们都哭了 |
[1:05:14] | Elizabeth said you could understand | 伊丽莎白说你应该能体谅 |
[1:05:15] | why he didn’t invite me to Switzerland. | 他为什么不邀请你去瑞士 |
[1:05:19] | I haven’t been on a plane for a long time | 我很久没坐过飞机了 |
[1:05:20] | and my balance isn’t all that good. | 我的身体平衡并不好 |
[1:05:23] | But I was quite looking forward to going. | 但我非常想去 |
[1:05:26] | I thought, It was MY son, | 我在想 那是我儿子 |
[1:05:28] | I had him, and… | 是我生养的孩子… |
[1:05:32] | I keep thinking, | 我止不住地想 |
[1:05:33] | Well, I can’t get another son, can I? | 我没法再拥有一个儿子了 对吧 |
[1:05:57] | 发件人 西蒙·宾纳 收件人 黛比·宾纳及其他四人 | |
[1:05:58] | Hello, Five Musketeers. | 五个火枪手 你们好 |
[1:06:01] | You can now print off your boarding passes. | 你们现在可以打印自己的登机牌了 |
[1:06:05] | Passengers – Debbie, Mike, | 乘客有黛比 迈克 |
[1:06:08] | Elizabeth, Dr Sandberg and Will. | 伊丽莎白 桑德伯格医生和威尔 |
[1:06:13] | Thank you for waiting, at this time, | 感谢您的耐心等待 |
[1:06:14] | will all remaining customers please board now… | 请剩下的所有乘客即刻登机 |
[1:06:21] | Suicide in this country is not in offence. | 自杀在这个国家不属于犯罪 |
[1:06:26] | The law is very clear about what is the offence, | 法律明确规定何种行为才算犯罪 |
[1:06:30] | and the offence is assisting or encouraging | 即协助或怂恿 |
[1:06:33] | somebody to commit suicide. | 他人自杀 |
[1:06:35] | If you take somebody to Dignitas, for example, | 例如 如果你带他人去安乐死机构 |
[1:06:37] | 艾莉森·桑德斯 检察总长 | |
[1:06:38] | you arrange the flights, you put them on the plane, | 安排好行程 送他们上了飞机 |
[1:06:40] | you take them there, that’s the sort of assistance | 带他们到了那儿 这就算是协助自杀 |
[1:06:43] | that could be an offence under the act. | 可以归属为犯罪行为 |
[1:06:47] | Maximum penalty is up to 14 years. | 最高可判处14年有期徒刑 |
[1:06:51] | But it’s a matter of each individual case and circumstance. | 但也要视个案和具体情况而定 |
[1:06:58] | We’ll take into account | 我们会将个人 |
[1:06:59] | the clear and express intention, if there is, | 明确的意向纳入考虑 如果 |
[1:07:01] | of the individual, | 他的确有的话 |
[1:07:03] | the compassionate nature of the people who assisted. | 以及协助之人的同情心 |
[1:07:07] | We will weigh up and decide | 我们会权衡并决定 |
[1:07:09] | whether or not that means we should prosecute or not. | 是否应该起诉 |
[1:08:01] | There’s a handle just here. | 这里有一个扶手 |
[1:08:27] | The person only knows the last evening | 申请人最后一天晚上才会知道 |
[1:08:30] | if it is definitely accepted. | 是否确定被接受 |
[1:08:34] | Hello, Mrs Binner? | 你好 宾纳太太 |
[1:08:36] | Hello, very nice to meet you. | 你好 很高兴见到你 |
[1:08:37] | – Nice to meet you. – Come in. | -很高兴见到你 -请进 |
[1:08:40] | Simon must convince the second doctor, also. | 西蒙还必须说服另一名医生 |
[1:08:45] | Hello. Hello, Mr Binner. | 你好 宾纳先生 |
[1:08:48] | I’m a GP working with Erika. | 我是与艾瑞卡共事的医生 |
[1:08:53] | Ok. | 好了 |
[1:09:02] | 我想告诉你我一点也不怕死 一点点都没有 完全没有 | |
[1:09:03] | There is no fear for dying. | 完全不惧怕死亡 |
[1:09:08] | In the UK, he tried to end his own life. | 在英国时 他试图自杀 |
[1:09:12] | So, we didn’t really realise | 我们直到那一刻 |
[1:09:14] | until that point how desperate he was. | 才真正了解他有多么绝望 |
[1:09:18] | I believe that. | 我相信 |
[1:09:18] | That was so horrifying. | 太可怕了 |
[1:09:22] | You know what will happen tomorrow, what’s going on? | 你知道明天会发生什么 会是什么情况吧 |
[1:09:26] | Erika explained everything, how it works, | 艾瑞卡说明了一切 会怎么进行 |
[1:09:29] | also with the infusion. | 还有输液的情况 |
[1:09:31] | – Yes, so, he will feel nothing? – No. | -是的 他不会有任何感觉吗 -不会 |
[1:09:34] | – Just like going to sleep with an anaesthetic? – Yes. | -就像打了麻醉剂睡着似的 -对 |
[1:09:37] | But you know that when you let this thing run, | 但你要知道一旦开始输液 |
[1:09:42] | that you go to die, not to sleep. | 你会死 而不是睡着 |
[1:09:46] | And you must be clear in mind that you are. | 你必须清楚地知道这点 |
[1:09:50] | You don’t make me the impression of depression. | 你看着不像是抑郁的人 |
[1:09:55] | No. | 不是 |
[1:09:56] | And it doesn’t look… | 而且看起来不 |
[1:09:58] | You were deciding yourself. | 你是自己在做决定 |
[1:10:00] | So, it’s your decision and not from outside. | 所以这是你的决定而不是外界导致的 |
[1:10:04] | There are important things | 有一些重要的事 |
[1:10:05] | I have to write down for legal reasons. | 我必须得记下 因为法律原因 |
[1:10:07] | – You have to assess, yes. – Yeah. The assessment. | -您必须评估 明白 -是的 评估 |
[1:10:10] | So… | 所以 |
[1:10:12] | 不 谢谢 您很善良 医生 | |
[1:10:14] | Can I do something for you, otherwise, | 我能为你做些什么吗 除了 |
[1:10:17] | than to go and write my report? | 写我的报告外 |
[1:10:21] | For me, it’s OK. | 在我看来 可以通过 |
[1:10:45] | It hasn’t been a laugh, it’s been a belly laugh. | 不是大笑 而是捧腹大笑 |
[1:10:48] | – Laugh out loud. – Yes. | -开怀大笑 -是的 |
[1:10:51] | You always make people laugh, | 你总能逗人笑 |
[1:10:53] | people like Auntie Margaret, and Simon would start. | 像玛格丽特姑妈这样的 西蒙就会开始 |
[1:10:57] | We’d sit at a table like this, I didn’t need to say anything, | 我们像这样围坐桌子旁 我都不需要说什么 |
[1:11:01] | Sarah didn’t need to say anything, | 萨拉也不需要说什么 |
[1:11:02] | cos the floor show is over here. | 因为节目表演就是这位 |
[1:11:08] | You’ve always been such a lovely brother. | 你一直都是我的好兄弟 |
[1:11:20] | Thank you, Binns. | 谢谢你 宾纳 |
[1:11:24] | – Top bloke. – Top banana. | -最棒的家伙 -头儿 |
[1:11:50] | Simon will take off from his hotel with his family and friends. | 西蒙会和家人朋友一起从酒店出发 |
[1:11:56] | He will come to the place where we do the assisted dying | 他会来我们在巴塞尔进行 |
[1:11:58] | in the city of Basel. | 安乐死的地方 |
[1:12:01] | And he will have to fill in some forms | 他得填写一些表格 |
[1:12:05] | because the authority of Basel want him to sign, | 因为巴塞尔政府需要他签字 |
[1:12:08] | the day that he is dying, | 他选择死亡的日子 |
[1:12:10] | that he really has been thinking about it well again, | 他真正深思熟虑过 |
[1:12:14] | slept over it another night. | 仔细考虑过 |
[1:12:17] | I want the family to be there to show acceptance, | 我想让家人在场表示接受 |
[1:12:22] | to show understanding what Simon wants to do, | 表示他们理解西蒙想做的事 |
[1:12:25] | and then Simon has to do it | 然后西蒙在他 |
[1:12:28] | at the moment that he wants to do it. | 想做的时刻自己动手 |
[1:12:31] | And he has the possibility to say no and go back home | 直到最后一刻 |
[1:12:34] | until the very last moment. | 他都可以反悔然后回家 |
[1:12:37] | Even when the medicine is in the bag already | 就算药剂已经装进袋子 |
[1:12:40] | and the perfusion is closed, | 点滴准备就绪 |
[1:12:43] | and he, all of a sudden, is afraid of opening it, | 这时候他突然间不敢打开点滴了 |
[1:12:46] | no problem, nobody’s angry, he could go back home any time. | 没关系 没人会生气 他随时可以回家 |
[1:13:31] | We hang this up. | 挂起来 |
[1:13:41] | We have to prove to the authorities | 我们必须向有关部门证明 |
[1:13:43] | that this person has opened the drip himself or herself, | 当事人是自己打开点滴的 |
[1:13:48] | and you can only prove that by doing a little film. | 所以只能录下影片来证明 |
[1:14:02] | Yeah? OK, so we do the questions now. | 好了 现在我们要回答几个问题 |
[1:14:06] | I know that you cannot speak | 我知道你因为患有运动神经元病 |
[1:14:08] | because of your motor neurone disease. | 无法说话 |
[1:14:11] | This is why I will ask the questions in a manner | 所以我问的这些问题 |
[1:14:14] | that you can just show with your head yes or no. | 你可以通过点头或摇头回答 |
[1:14:19] | Is it right that your name is Simon Binner? | 你的名字是西蒙·宾纳吗 |
[1:14:24] | That is right. | 是的 |
[1:14:26] | Is it right that you have been born on 2nd November, 1957? | 你的出生日期是1957年11月2日吗 |
[1:14:32] | Yes. | 是 |
[1:14:35] | And you have written that you’ve come here | 你书面写下了 |
[1:14:38] | to Lifecircle to end your life | 你是自愿来这里结束生命 |
[1:14:40] | because you have this very bad motor neurone disease, | 原因是你患有很严重的运动神经元病 |
[1:14:44] | very progressed, is that right? | 病情恶化迅速 对吗 |
[1:14:48] | Yes. | 对 |
[1:14:50] | I have put the perfusion into your brain. | 点滴已经连接到你的大脑 |
[1:14:55] | There is a medication in the perfusion now. | 现在点滴中已注入药物 |
[1:14:58] | And I have told you that you will die if you open it. | 我已告知 如果打开点滴你就会死 |
[1:15:03] | Do you know that you will die if you open this perfusion? | 你是否清楚 一旦打开点滴你就会死 |
[1:15:05] | Yes, yes. | 是的 |
[1:15:09] | So, Simon, it is now… | 西蒙 现在是… |
[1:15:12] | What time is it? | 现在几点了 |
[1:15:14] | 9:38. | 9点38分 |
[1:15:17] | If you would like to die, | 如果你想终止生命的话 |
[1:15:19] | you are allowed to open the perfusion now. | 现在就可以打开点滴了 |
[1:15:33] | Hi, Debbie. It’s Simon here. | 你好啊 黛比 我是西蒙 |
[1:15:38] | I’ve loved you very, very much, Debbie. | 我非常非常爱你 黛比 |
[1:15:41] | I haven’t deserved you, or Hannah or Zoe. | 我感到不配拥有你 汉娜和佐伊 |
[1:15:46] | Such loving and caring young ladies. | 你们是如此善良又体贴的姑娘 |
[1:15:49] | And I’ve been such a grumpy Gruffalo for much of the time. | 而我一直以来却犟得要命 |
[1:15:54] | But I really love you, Debbie. | 但我真的很爱你 黛比 |
[1:15:56] | We’ve had such a fun and laughter-filled marriage. | 我们的婚姻生活充满了欢声笑语 |
[1:16:00] | We were really blessed to have found one another. | 我们能在一起是多么的幸运 |
[1:16:05] | The one blessing of a slow decline | 病情慢慢恶化有个好处 |
[1:16:07] | is that we’ve had time | 我们在过去的十个月中 |
[1:16:08] | to speak about things over ten long months, | 有足够的时间好好聊天 |
[1:16:11] | not like losing me in a car smash. | 不像车祸那样一下结束 |
[1:16:14] | We’ve really said everything that needs to be said. | 该说的我们都说过了 |
[1:16:19] | You’ve been a truly fantastic wife to me, Debbie. | 你是特别棒的妻子 黛比 |
[1:16:23] | And I know that you’ve loved me and I’ve loved you. | 我知道我们一直以来深爱着彼此 |
[1:16:28] | Anyway, time and tide wait for no man. | 总之 时间不等人 |
[1:16:32] | I love you very much, Debbie. | 我爱你 黛比 |
[1:16:35] | Goodbye. | 再见了 |
[1:18:39] | I remember Simon dying and | 我记得西蒙去世的画面 |
[1:18:44] | I know he played a tape, | 我记得他放了一段录音 |
[1:18:45] | but I don’t remember the tape. | 但我不记得录音的内容了 |
[1:18:50] | I remember the tenderness I felt towards him. | 我记得我在他身边时感受到的温暖 |
[1:18:54] | I got him ready in the morning. | 我早上为他准备好 |
[1:18:56] | He was still really, really keen, | 他仍然那么精神 |
[1:18:58] | that his cuff links were put on properly | 佩戴好了袖扣 |
[1:19:00] | and that his shoes were done up properly. | 打理好了鞋子 |
[1:19:04] | And I found that very touching, | 那让我很感动 |
[1:19:05] | and it’s something I really loved about him, that he was so smart. | 我就是爱他如此整洁利落的模样 |
[1:19:09] | and I vaguely remember being on a plane… | 我依稀记得在飞机上… |
[1:19:14] | I remember Erika and that’s about it. | 我记得艾瑞卡 差不多就是这样 |
[1:19:17] | Yeah, big chunks just kind of… | 对 的确不容易… |
[1:19:20] | cos we were just trying to get through it for him. | 因为当时我们正尝试帮他熬过去 |
[1:19:26] | For him, I think he went to Switzerland | 对他来说 我觉得他在 |
[1:19:28] | at exactly the right time for him. | 最合适的时候去了瑞士 |
[1:19:32] | But, for us, what we had to go through, | 但对我们来说 我们所要经历的 |
[1:19:35] | to end his life, it was extraordinarily difficult. | 帮他结束生命 这异乎寻常的艰难 |
[1:19:40] | And I feel I’m still in shock and trauma. | 我仍感到悲痛欲绝 |
[1:19:44] | Somebody’s there one minute and then not the next. | 一个人前一分钟还在 后一分钟就离开了 |
[1:19:48] | And I can’t… | 我无法… |
[1:19:50] | I haven’t got the words to express about how big a deal it is. | 我无法用语言形容他离去的意味 |
[1:19:56] | I’m angry, | 我很愤怒 |
[1:19:58] | I’m missing him, | 我很想念他 |
[1:20:00] | I yearn for him. | 我很怀念他 |
[1:20:03] | I’m guilty that somehow I couldn’t make his life nice enough, | 我很内疚没能想尽办法让他的生活足够精彩 |
[1:20:07] | you know, and maybe if I’d worked harder | 也许如果我更尽力 |
[1:20:10] | and made it easier, | 让生活更舒适 |
[1:20:11] | and hadn’t snapped at him that time, or got this when he wanted, | 那次没斥责他 在他需要时满足他 |
[1:20:14] | maybe he wouldn’t have wanted to go, | 也许他还不会想离开 |
[1:20:15] | and I don’t think any of that’s logical, | 我知道这些想法不合逻辑 |
[1:20:17] | but I think it leaves you with those kind of feelings. | 但你就是会不自觉地那样想 |
[1:20:22] | Did I do enough? | 我做得够多吗 |
[1:20:24] | Maybe that’s what I’m struggling with – did I do enough? | 也许我就是在纠结 我做得够多吗 |
[1:20:28] | Was it…? | 有没有… |
[1:20:29] | Did I do enough to make his life worthwhile | 为使他生活充实我做得够多吗 |
[1:20:33] | when he had done so much for me, really, over the years, | 而这些年他的确为我付出太多 |
[1:20:37] | and helped me look after my daughter | 帮我照料女儿 |
[1:20:39] | and all those kind of things. | 处理其他生活琐碎 |
[1:20:42] | Maybe, that’s the difficulty of what I’m struggling with. | 也许这种想法就是困扰我的难题 |
[1:21:03] | I cannot begin to feel… | 我无法感受… |
[1:21:04] | A lot of people said to me, “I think you’re very brave.” | 很多人对我说 “我觉得你很勇敢” |
[1:21:08] | Well, I’m not very brave, | 其实并不是我多勇敢 |
[1:21:09] | I don’t have…the option of being brave or not. | 而是我别无选择 |
[1:21:14] | Then some people say he is brave. | 也有人说他勇敢 |
[1:21:17] | And Elizabeth and I were discussing this | 伊丽莎白和我聊过这事 |
[1:21:19] | and saying, “Yes, he was brave.” | 我们觉得 “是的 他很勇敢” |
[1:21:22] | But we have to remember | 但我们也要记得 |
[1:21:24] | that these other people were brave that have stuck it out, | 也有很多坚持到生命终结的人 |
[1:21:26] | as well. | 他们也很勇敢 |
[1:21:32] | You see, I’m mourning him as my baby boy. | 我把他当作小宝贝一样地缅怀 |
[1:21:39] | He wrote me something on a piece of paper. | 他给我写了张小纸条 |
[1:21:50] | It’s sad, but it’s for the best. Thank you for being my mum. | 虽然难过但这样最好 感谢您做我的母亲 |
[1:22:16] | The man I came to know was, | 这个我所认识的男人 |
[1:22:19] | as you will also remember him, | 你们也会记得他 |
[1:22:21] | a force of nature. | 他天赋异禀 |
[1:22:24] | Incisive, articulate, | 思维缜密 口齿伶俐 |
[1:22:26] | bursting with energy. | 精力充沛 |
[1:22:29] | He never wallowed in self-pity, | 他从不顾影自怜 |
[1:22:30] | he was absolutely fantastic to the end. | 他精彩地活到了生命尽头 |
[1:22:32] | He was a magnificent man. | 他是个高尚的人 |
[1:22:34] | He was magnificent to the very end. | 他将高尚延续到生命终结 |
[1:22:37] | And he wrote to me just before he died, | 他在临死前写给我这样的话 |
[1:22:39] | warning me that I would never find another friend like him. | 提醒我 我不会再遇到像他一样的朋友 |
[1:22:43] | I think we can say, without fear of contradiction, | 我认为我们能够无可置疑地说 |
[1:22:45] | that none of us will ever know anyone like him. | 我们都不会再认识像他一样的人 |
[1:22:48] | Si Binner, as he will always be known to me, | 西·宾纳 对我来说 |
[1:22:52] | was a guy from a slightly different planet. | 他是来自一个异星球的家伙 |
[1:22:56] | I’m missing the daft bugger. A friend indeed. | 我想念这个愚蠢的家伙 一位真正的朋友 |
[1:23:03] | 2016年9月15日凌晨4点 一个熟悉的小伙伴 浓子 因先天进行性肌营养不良症 抢救无效离开了我们 她生前曾询问过 我们是否会制作这部纪录片 当时无人响应 现在才发现 原来那时她已做好了准备 | |
[1:23:12] | 生死本是生命中很平常的一环 先天疾病将你带走 而你留给了我们永远的回忆 很难想象在最后的日子里 你是如何强忍病痛 丝毫不透露你的病情 依旧与我们欢乐度过每一天 做好每部剧 | |
[1:23:26] | Up. | 起 |
[1:23:37] | 浓子曾经常驻过的部分剧集 戏里戏外 星恋 摩登家庭 塞勒姆 家族风云 暴君 始祖家族 永恒 恋爱手册 无耻家庭 千古掘密 圣域 情事 闪电侠 盲点 蓝海暮色 X档案 11.22.63 侠胆雄狮 一级谋杀 |