英文名称:Mrs Lowry and Son
年代:2019
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:22] | I paint what I see. | 我把看到的畫下來 |
[00:25] | I paint how I feel. | 我把感受到的畫下來 |
[00:28] | I’m a man who paints. Nothing more, nothing less. | 我只是個畫畫的 僅此而已 |
[00:38] | Every picture I paint always begins the same way. | 我的每幅畫總是用同樣的方式開場 |
[00:43] | It begins in the same colour. | 用同樣的顏色下筆 |
[00:46] | Underneath every picture is the colour white. | 每幅畫的底色都是白色 |
[00:52] | Flake white. | 鉛白色 |
[01:48] | No. | 人呢 |
[01:53] | Ah, caught you! I got, no, no. I saw you, I saw you. | 抓着你了 看到你了 我看到你了 |
[02:00] | No, no, not today, no sweeties today. | 今天不行 親愛的們 今天不行 |
[02:04] | No, I’ve given them to all the good children… | 不行 我要把他們送給乖孩子 |
[02:07] | …no, no, no, not today, no, no. | 不不不 今天不行 不行不行 |
[02:11] | Tomorrow if you’re lucky. If you’re not naughty. | 如果你們明天夠幸運又不淘氣的話 |
[02:14] | I need it today! | 我今天就要 |
[02:15] | Wash your face and I’ll give you some tomorrow. | 把你們的臉洗乾淨 我明天就給你們一些 |
[02:21] | Two minutes. | 馬上 |
[02:23] | Oh, oh, hello. | 你好 |
[02:25] | Oh, oh, very well, um, very well, yes, that’s… | 好的 好的 那就 |
[02:28] | Tell him I’ll call around this time tomorrow. | 告訴他我明天這個時候會再打來 |
[02:32] | Thank you, thank you. | 謝謝你 十分感謝 |
[02:39] | Sorry. | 不好意思 |
[03:16] | There’s that woman again. | 又是那個女人 |
[03:19] | Very refined. Hair and clothes immaculate. | 十分優雅 頭髮和衣着一塵不染 |
[03:26] | I approve. Middle class. | 我認可了 是個中產階級 |
[03:33] | I dreamt of becoming a concert pianist. | 我曾夢想成爲一名鋼琴演奏家 |
[03:37] | I practised and practised every day. | 我每天一遍又一遍地練習 |
[03:40] | When we lived in Victoria Park. | 當我們搬到了維多利亞公園 |
[03:42] | Ah, a different world. | 那是一個完全不同的世界 |
[03:49] | Is that you, Laurie? | 勞裏 是你嗎 |
[03:51] | Yes, mother, it’s me. Who else would it be? | 是我 媽媽 還能是誰 |
[03:55] | I’ve no idea. You could’ve been a burglar! | 我不知道 你也可能是個小偷 |
[04:00] | Burglars don’t have their own front door key. | 小偷沒有我們家前門的鑰匙 |
[04:02] | Anything’s possible, living in Pendlebury. | 住在彭德伯裏 萬事皆有可能 |
[04:06] | People get up to all sorts of malpractices | 只要轉個身的功夫 |
[04:08] | as soon as your back is turned. | 人們就會幹出各種各樣的壞事 |
[04:11] | What are you doing? | 你在做什麼 |
[04:15] | I’m hanging up me raincoat, mother. | 我在掛我的雨衣 媽媽 |
[04:18] | Don’t let it drip. | 別讓雨衣一直滴水 |
[04:21] | No, mother. | 沒有滴水 媽媽 |
[04:22] | Wipe your feet. Shake that umbrella. | 把鞋擦乾淨 雨傘上的水抖掉 |
[04:27] | Do you hear me, Laurie? | 勞裏 你聽到了嗎 |
[04:30] | Yes, I hear you, mother. | 我聽到了 媽媽 |
[04:32] | Then why don’t you answer me? | 那你爲什麼不回答我 |
[04:35] | Don’t be so belligerent. | 不要總是唱反調 |
[04:38] | You’re such a vexation. | 你真是個煩人精 |
[05:09] | Enter. | 請進 |
[05:15] | Good evening, mother. | 晚上好 媽媽 |
[05:16] | Good evening, Laurie. | 晚上好 勞裏 |
[05:29] | Right-oh. | 來吧 |
[05:53] | Did you remember to bolt the front door? | 你有沒有把前門鎖好 |
[05:56] | – Always do. – Ah, good. | -一直都記得 -很好 |
[05:58] | You can’t be too careful. | 再小心也不爲過 |
[06:02] | No, mother. | 是的 媽媽 |
[06:05] | There was a woman last week | 上週有個女人 |
[06:09] | left her front door on the latch | 她只關着門但沒有鎖 |
[06:13] | and in less than an hour she had no carpets. | 一小時內 她就丟了地毯 |
[06:21] | The culprits had rolled away the lot, | 罪犯早就逃之夭夭了 |
[06:26] | including a rag rug. Oh, the pilferers. | 帶着他偷的碎布地毯 該死的竊賊 |
[06:29] | Who told you that story? | 誰跟你說的這個故事 |
[06:30] | The Anglican Times, they don’t lie. | 英國國教時報 他們從不說謊 |
[06:35] | That’s the kind of people we have living around here – | 住我們這裏的都是這種人 |
[06:38] | our neighbours, the… | 我們的鄰居 |
[06:41] | the working class. | 工人階級 |
[06:45] | Where have you been? You’re very late. | 你剛纔去哪了 回來得這麼晚 |
[06:48] | You know where I’ve been, mother; spent the day working. | 你知道我去哪了 一整天都在工作 |
[06:52] | Where were you today? | 今天在哪裏工作 |
[06:54] | Old Trafford. | 老特拉福德 |
[06:56] | I hope you’ve remembered to wash your hands. | 但願你有記得洗手 |
[07:00] | My hands are clean, mother. | 我的手很乾淨 媽媽 |
[07:02] | Oh, I’ll be the judge of that. Let me see. | 乾不乾淨得我說了算 讓我看看 |
[07:15] | Satisfied? | 滿意了嗎 |
[07:17] | I suppose they’ll do. | 大概還行吧 |
[07:25] | Ah, now then. | 那麼 |
[07:44] | How was your day, mother? | 今天過得怎麼樣 媽媽 |
[07:47] | Oh, same as usual. | 和平時一樣 |
[07:49] | I just lie here, waiting for the inevitable. | 就躺在這 等待着不可避免的死亡 |
[07:52] | No, don’t say that. | 千萬別這樣說 |
[07:54] | Why not? It’s true. There’s no use deluding ourselves. | 爲什麼不行 這是事實 逃避是沒有用的 |
[07:58] | We both know where my life is heading. | 我們都清楚 我的生命正走向何方 |
[08:02] | No. You got years left in you. | 不會的 你還有很多時日 |
[08:04] | How do you know? | 你怎麼知道 |
[08:06] | I can tell. | 我看得出來 |
[08:10] | Hope so. | 但願如此 |
[08:13] | – Oh, oh, sorry, yeah. – Under there. | -對不起 -還有下面 |
[08:18] | All right, all done. | 好了 擦好了 |
[08:21] | Right, thank you. | 好吧 謝謝你 |
[08:32] | – But you haven’t sugared! – Oh, sorry about that. | -你沒加糖 -抱歉 |
[08:39] | Did you not find any distractions on your wireless today? | 今天電臺有被幹擾嗎 |
[08:44] | – No. – The afternoon concert? | -沒有 -下午的音樂會呢 |
[08:47] | No, I did not. | 沒 我沒聽見 |
[08:52] | Today’s been one of my bad days. The pains… | 今天我感覺到很糟糕 病痛 |
[08:58] | I, I thought my bed was turning into a coffin. | 我 我感覺我的牀就要變成一副棺材 |
[09:01] | You mustn’t give up, mother. | 你不可以放棄 媽媽 |
[09:04] | Why not? | 爲什麼不可以 |
[09:05] | What kind of woman dreams of living in | 什麼樣的女人會夢想住在 |
[09:09] | a two-up, two-down terrace | 彭德伯裏 |
[09:10] | in Pendlebury? | 上下各兩室的雙層房裏 |
[09:13] | – There, your tea. – Thank you. | -喝茶吧 -謝謝 |
[09:18] | You’ll feel better tomorrow. Won’t you, ay? | 你明天就會好多了 對吧 |
[09:20] | And mind, Dr Mills makes his visit, doesn’t he? | 別忘了 米爾斯醫生會來看你的 是吧 |
[09:25] | Oh, yes. | 沒錯 |
[09:31] | Dr Mills makes one of his weekly sorties | 米爾斯醫生每週都來 |
[09:34] | and I’m grateful for every one of his tonics. | 我很感謝他的每一副補藥 |
[09:38] | Yes, mother. Dr Mills keeps you cheerful, doesn’t he? | 對啊 媽媽 米爾斯醫生讓你開心 對嗎 |
[09:42] | No, I’m never cheerful. | 不 我從沒開心過 |
[09:44] | I haven’t felt cheerful since 1868, the year of my confirmation. | 從1868年我的堅振禮後 我就沒開心過 |
[09:49] | That was a long time ago, mother. | 這是很久以前的事了 媽媽 |
[09:51] | A lifetime. | 已經一輩子了 |
[09:53] | We’re living in 1934. | 我們現在活在1934年 |
[09:56] | I’m aware of that. | 我知道 |
[10:02] | I blame your father for everything. | 一切都怪你的父親 |
[10:07] | Such a downfall. | 對我打擊太大了 |
[10:24] | Hello? It’s the rent man. | 你好 我來收房租 |
[10:30] | It’s me. | 是我 |
[10:34] | I had great hopes for you and your father. | 我把希望寄託在你和你父親身上 |
[10:36] | I thought you’d both be successful men of business. | 我認爲你們都會成爲成功的商人 |
[10:40] | Men of speculation. | 投資人 |
[10:43] | But he wasn’t capable and neither were you. | 但他能力不行 你也不行 |
[10:47] | Hopeless. | 我失望了 |
[11:18] | I’m coming! | 來了 |
[11:22] | What’s for dinner? Laurie! | 晚上吃什麼 勞裏 |
[11:25] | – Sausages. – Pork or the beef? | -香腸 -豬肉還是牛肉 |
[11:29] | – Pork. – Properly grilled, I hope. | -豬肉 -希望烤得恰到好處 |
[11:33] | Singed. I can’t digest anything greasy. | 焦一點 我消化不了太油膩的東西 |
[11:37] | I’m aware of that, mother. | 我知道了 媽媽 |
[12:03] | London. | 倫敦 |
[13:05] | How many sausages do you want, mother? | 你要吃幾根香腸 媽媽 |
[13:08] | I can’t digest a thing. Not this evening. | 我消化不行 今晚不太好 |
[13:12] | – One or two? – Three. | -一根還是兩根 -三根 |
[13:16] | Righto. | 馬上好 |
[13:19] | And a round of bread and butter. To ease my digestion. | 再配一點麪包和黃油 幫助我消化 |
[13:24] | Bread will lay a lining. | 麪包能吸點油膩 |
[13:26] | Righto. | 好的 |
[13:32] | Where did you purchase them? | 你在哪裏買的 |
[13:33] | – What? – The sausages. | -買什麼 -香腸 |
[13:38] | – A butcher’s. – Which butchers? | -一家肉店那裏 -哪家肉店 |
[13:40] | McCreadie’s or Harrison’s? | 麥卡迪家還是哈里森家 |
[13:43] | McCreadie’s. | 麥卡迪家買的 |
[13:50] | You can’t go wrong with Arthur McCreadie. | 你去亞瑟·麥卡迪那裏準不會出錯 |
[13:53] | He’s been slaughtering things for years. | 他做這行很久了 |
[13:58] | Mm, did you purchase them from Arthur McCreadie | 那你是從亞瑟·麥卡迪 |
[14:00] | or the boy? | 還是他兒子那裏買的 |
[14:02] | Um, the boy. | 他兒子那裏 |
[14:05] | Ohh, he sees you coming, that boy. | 他看到你要來了 那個孩子 |
[14:09] | – He does not. – Yes, he does. | -他沒看到 -他看到了 |
[14:17] | He’ll sell you any old sausage. | 他就賣你一些不那麼新鮮的香腸 |
[14:20] | He’s canny. | 他很狡猾 |
[14:23] | He was born in Chorlton-cum-Hardy. | 他出生在喬爾頓旁哈迪 |
[14:27] | Whereas you were born… | 而你出生的時候 |
[14:29] | – What? – …unworldly. | -什麼 -天真無邪 |
[14:35] | Unworldly… There’s no harm done in being unworldly, is there? | 天真無邪 天真無邪沒什麼壞處 對嗎 |
[14:42] | Time after time, I’m amused by life. | 一次又一次 我被命運捉弄 |
[14:48] | And saddened by it. | 傷透了心 |
[15:10] | – Still raining. – Still raining? | -還在下雨 -還在下雨嗎 |
[15:16] | Pitter patter. | 滴滴答答 |
[15:18] | – Pitter patter. – Pitter patter. | -滴滴答答 -滴滴答答 |
[15:22] | – God’s tears. – God’s tears. | -上帝的眼淚 -上帝的眼淚 |
[15:36] | I long for you to be happy, mother. One day. | 我希望你有一天能夠開心快樂 媽媽 |
[15:42] | – Do you? – Yes. | -真的嗎 -是的 |
[15:47] | Let’s not be sentimental, Laurie. | 不要這麼傷感 勞裏 |
[15:59] | There’s that woman again. | 那個女人又來了 |
[16:01] | – Which woman? – Our new neighbour. | -哪個女人 -我們的新鄰居 |
[16:06] | Oh, really? Oh. | 是嗎 |
[16:09] | Such a social life, hasn’t she? | 還挺會社交的 不是嗎 |
[16:12] | Can you see what she’s wearing? | 你能看到她穿什麼嗎 |
[16:14] | Uh, clothes. | 衣服 |
[16:18] | – Oh, don’t be so stupid. – I was joking, mother. | -別說這種蠢話 -我開玩笑的 媽媽 |
[16:21] | Who’s laughing? | 誰在笑 |
[16:25] | She’s always immaculately dressed, isn’t she? | 她總穿得乾淨整潔 不是嗎 |
[16:29] | A woman of quality. | 品質優秀的女人 |
[16:37] | I approve. | 我認可她 |
[16:40] | Come on, come on to mummy! | 過來 來找媽咪 |
[16:45] | My baby, come on. | 我的寶貝 來吧 |
[16:48] | I wonder why she’s living ’round here. | 我好奇她爲什麼住在這附近 |
[16:51] | My thoughts precisely. She’s certainly a cut above the rest. | 我也想知道 她明顯比別人都要出色 |
[16:57] | Perhaps she’s fallen on hard times. | 也許她處境不好 |
[16:59] | Not with a fur-trimmed collar. | 那她就不會穿毛邊領的衣服 |
[17:02] | And a husband who wears expensively cut suits. | 她的丈夫還穿着剪裁考究的昂貴西裝 |
[17:06] | What haven’t you noticed his debonair trilby? | 你沒注意到他溫文爾雅的軟氈帽嗎 |
[17:10] | – No I haven’t. – You should be more observant. | -我沒注意到 -你應該更仔細觀察 |
[17:14] | A man needs to show an interest in business people. | 如果一個男人想要出人頭地 |
[17:19] | If he is to get on in life. I’m always telling you that. | 就得對商人表現出興趣 我一直和你說的 |
[17:25] | Good boy. | 乖孩子 |
[17:44] | You need to cultivate important people, Laurie, | 你需要結交一些重要人物 勞裏 |
[17:46] | to better yourself. | 才能提高自己 |
[17:48] | But you never listened, | 但你就是不聽 |
[17:49] | you preferred to sit upstairs in the attic, | 你寧可坐在閣樓裏 |
[17:53] | attending to your hobby. | 沉浸在你的愛好裏 |
[17:56] | It’s not a hobby, mother. | 媽媽 那不是愛好 |
[17:58] | – Isn’t it? – No, it’s not. | -不是嗎 -不 不是 |
[18:01] | What do you call it? | 那它是什麼 |
[18:04] | And where has it got you, this hobby? | 這個愛好給你帶來了什麼 |
[18:08] | Nowhere. We can’t afford it. | 什麼都沒有 我們負擔不起它 |
[18:12] | You sitting up there, night after night, burning the gas. | 你夜復一夜地坐在那裏 燒着煤氣 |
[18:17] | Think of the unpaid bills. | 想想那些未付的賬單 |
[18:18] | I’m paying them back, mother. | 媽媽 我在還了 |
[18:21] | Father’s debts. You’re not to worry. | 那是爸爸的債 你不用擔心 |
[18:25] | How are you going to pay them back on the wages of a junior clerk? | 就你那小職員的工資 你打算怎麼還錢 |
[18:30] | You’re a middle-aged man. | 你已經是個中年人了 |
[18:32] | Not a word of promotion in 25 years. | 25年來連一次晉升都沒有 |
[18:38] | I shall do it, mother. I promise. | 媽媽 我可以做到的 我保證 |
[18:41] | I’m determined to pay father’s creditors back. Bit by bit. | 我一定會還清父親的債務 一點一點地 |
[18:48] | Ah, ever hopeful. | 永遠滿懷希望 |
[18:53] | Hope gets a lot of people through life, mother. | 希望幫助很多人過活 媽媽 |
[19:04] | Ever hopeful. | 永遠滿懷希望 |
[19:13] | Most people in Pendlebury are bone idle, | 彭德伯裏的大多數人都是懶骨頭 |
[19:18] | that’s their trouble. | 這是他們的問題所在 |
[19:21] | People can’t help being poor. | 人們無法避免貧窮 |
[19:23] | No shame having nothing, is there? | 一無所有並不可恥 不是嗎 |
[19:26] | Of course there’s shame. We are middle-class, Laurie. | 當然很恥辱 我們是中產階級 勞裏 |
[19:31] | We lived above our means, mother. | 媽媽 我們入不敷出 |
[19:35] | Father knew it. He tried to keep you happy. | 父親也知道 他試圖讓你開心 |
[19:40] | Happy? The day we married it rained. | 開心嗎 我們結婚那天下雨了 |
[19:43] | Misfortune poured upon me ever since. | 從那以後 不幸不斷地降臨到我身上 |
[19:48] | He made me into the family joke. | 他讓我成了家裏的笑料 |
[19:50] | For years and years he borrowed money off my relations, | 多年來 他向我的親戚們借錢 |
[19:53] | I knew nothing about it. | 我卻對此毫不知情 |
[20:00] | I served your aunties and uncles French pastries from Greenhalgh’s, | 當我們家捉襟見肘時 |
[20:07] | while all the time we were penniless. | 我還用格林哈爾的法式糕點招待你叔叔阿姨 |
[20:10] | They must’ve thought | 他們一定覺得 |
[20:12] | my Nottingham lace doilies ridiculous. | 我的諾丁漢花邊桌巾很可笑 |
[20:19] | – May I offer anybody else more tea? – Ah, yes. | -還有人要茶嗎 -我要 |
[20:33] | You never liked any one of my paintings, mother? | 你從來都不喜歡我的畫 對嗎 媽媽 |
[20:40] | No. | 不喜歡 |
[20:43] | I’m not the only one, am I? | 不止我一個人不喜歡 對嗎 |
[20:52] | Have you read the evening newspaper? | 你看今天的晚報了嗎 |
[20:56] | The evening paper, mother? | 晚報嗎 媽媽 |
[20:58] | Yes, you usually bring an evening newspaper home, don’t you? | 是的 你通常會帶一份晚報回家 不是嗎 |
[21:03] | – Well, this evening… I forgot. – Oh, oh you forgot. | -好吧 今天晚上 我忘了 -你忘了 |
[21:13] | Oh, well then. Shall I read it to you? | 那好吧 要我給你讀一遍嗎 |
[21:19] | I don’t need you to read me the newspaper, mother. | 媽媽 我不需要你給我讀報紙 |
[21:21] | Why not? You need to be enlightened. | 爲什麼不呢 得有人點醒你 |
[21:28] | ‘An ugly painting. | 一幅難看的畫 |
[21:31] | The painting by Mr L.S. Lowry – Coming From The Mill – | 名爲”工廠中歸來” L·S·洛瑞先生的畫作 |
[21:34] | is confusing and appears to have been painted by a child. | 亂七八糟 就像是一個孩子畫的 |
[21:38] | The figures if we may call them figures are nothing but smudges. | 這些被稱之爲人影的 只不過是些污跡 |
[21:42] | Ridiculous marionettes suspended in a squalid industrial scene. | 懸掛在骯髒工業場景中的可笑牽線木偶 |
[21:47] | If this is Mr Lowry’s vision of the Lancashire | 如果這就是洛瑞先生對蘭開夏郡 |
[21:50] | landscape and its people, | 風土人情的理解 |
[21:52] | I feel very sorry for him. | 我對他感到非常失望 |
[21:54] | It is a most unsatisfactory picture | 這是一幅極其令人不滿的畫 |
[21:56] | and an insult to the people of Lancashire.’ | 也是對蘭開夏郡人民的侮辱 |
[22:20] | Mr Denby is not impressed, Laurie! | 登比先生不以爲然 勞裏 |
[22:24] | What does he know? | 他知道什麼 |
[22:27] | What does he know? | 他知道什麼 |
[22:28] | He knows more than you know. He knows everything! | 他知道的比你多 他無所不知 |
[22:31] | He’s an art critic! | 他是個藝術評論家 |
[22:32] | I’m not interested in what Mr Denby knows, mother. | 我不關心登比先生知道些什麼 媽媽 |
[22:36] | He doesn’t know me and I don’t know him. | 他不瞭解我 我也不瞭解他 |
[22:39] | He knows something about your picture! ‘Coming From The Mill’. | 他知道你的那幅”工廠中歸來” |
[22:44] | He doesn’t approve! He decrees it an insult! | 他不喜歡它 說它是一種侮辱 |
[22:47] | Why do you do it, Laurie? | 勞裏 你做這些有什麼意義呢 |
[22:50] | Painting these squalid industrial scenes, | 畫這些沒有人買的 |
[22:52] | that nobody wants to buy! | 骯髒的工業場景 |
[22:56] | Paint what I see, mother. | 我只畫眼見之物 媽媽 |
[22:58] | Nothing more, nothing less. | 不偏不倚 |
[23:02] | Paint how I feel. | 畫我所感 |
[23:05] | How you feel? What about how I feel? | 你所感 有考慮過我的感受嗎 |
[23:08] | I don’t want to feel like everybody’s laughing at me. | 我不想每個人都嘲笑我 |
[23:11] | Nobody’s laughing at you, mother. | 沒有人在嘲笑你 媽媽 |
[23:15] | Laughing at my paintings is a laugh at me. | 嘲笑我的畫是在嘲笑我 |
[23:17] | Yes! Every painting looks as if it was painted by a child. | 對啊 每幅畫都像是孩子畫的 |
[23:22] | Yes, but a child didn’t paint it, mother, | 好吧 但那不是孩子畫的 媽媽 |
[23:24] | I did. | 那是我畫的 |
[23:26] | Yes, precisely. | 你說得沒錯 |
[23:29] | Oh, give it up. Laurie. | 放棄吧 勞裏 |
[23:34] | For my sake. | 就當爲我着想 |
[23:39] | Try and find another hobby. | 試着找個別的愛好 |
[23:43] | It’s not a hobby! Mother. I went to art school. | 不是愛好 媽媽 我讀的是藝術學校 |
[23:48] | Night school. For 15 years. | 是夜校 上了十五年了 |
[23:51] | And where’s it got you? Nowhere. | 你有什麼收穫嗎 一無所得 |
[23:53] | I know everything about artistic attributes, Laurie, | 我知道藝術天賦是什麼樣的 勞裏 |
[23:57] | and you don’t have any. You’re not an artist and you never will be. | 你沒有天賦 你不是也不會成爲藝術家 |
[24:10] | Then what am I, mother? | 那我是什麼 媽媽 |
[24:15] | Ever since you were born, I’ve asked myself the same question. | 自打你出生以來 我就問自己這個問題 |
[24:20] | What is Laurie’s purpose? | 勞裏想要的是什麼 |
[24:23] | Why was he born? | 他爲什麼出生 |
[24:25] | And I don’t know! | 我也不知道 |
[24:28] | I’ve got no idea what or who you are! | 我不知道你想要什麼 不知道你是誰 |
[24:44] | I’m a man who paints. | 我只是個畫畫的人 |
[24:47] | Nothing more, nothing less. | 僅此而已 |
[24:52] | I paint to fill in the time. | 我用畫畫來填補時間 |
[24:55] | I paint for something to do. | 我畫畫是爲了找點事做 |
[24:58] | I’m not fit for anything else. | 我不適合其它任何事 |
[25:04] | Night after night I sit up here. In the attic. | 夜復一夜 我坐在這個閣樓上 |
[25:10] | Nothing in the house stirs. | 房裏的一切都是靜止的 |
[25:13] | The smell of the turpentine. | 松節油的氣味 |
[25:16] | The hiss of the gas jet. | 煤氣噴嘴的嘶嘶聲 |
[25:34] | Outside, one solitary star watches over me. | 窗外 一顆孤星守望着我 |
[25:45] | This is my world. | 這就是我的世界 |
[25:49] | I’m safe here. | 我在這裏很安全 |
[25:53] | Alone. | 孑然一人 |
[26:05] | I paint and I paint. | 我不斷地畫畫 |
[26:09] | A smudge here with my finger. A stroke of the brush there. | 這裏塗一筆 那裏再刷一筆 |
[27:13] | I see light and atmosphere. | 我看見了光線和大氣 |
[27:17] | In the bleakest of places. | 在最荒涼的地方 |
[27:20] | A railway arch, a stone viaduct. | 鐵路拱門 石築高架橋 |
[27:24] | I see beauty in everything. | 我看見了萬物之美 |
[27:27] | A man just has to open his eyes and look. | 人類只需睜開雙眼去看 |
[27:31] | Observe everything. | 去觀察萬物 |
[27:33] | – Hello! – Hello! | -你好 -你好啊 |
[27:36] | Life! | 生活 |
[27:39] | What does that make me? | 生活讓我成爲什麼 |
[27:43] | Am I an artist? | 我是藝術家嗎 |
[27:47] | What would you call yourself, Laurie? | 你會如何稱呼自己 勞裏 |
[27:57] | Hello! It’s the rent collector. | 你好 我是收租人 |
[28:05] | Rent man’s here! | 收租人來了 |
[28:08] | It’s me! | 是我 |
[28:14] | Mr L.S. Lowry. | 我是L·S·洛瑞先生 |
[28:30] | Oh, this is a lovely dessert, Laurie. | 勞裏 這道甜點真美味 |
[28:33] | You’ve really excelled yourself this evening. | 你今晚真是超水平發揮 |
[28:36] | A real treat for my digestion. | 對我的胃來說真是一種享受 |
[28:39] | Glad you’re enjoying it, mother. | 很高興你能喜歡 媽媽 |
[28:40] | – Thank you. – I did. | -謝謝你 -我確實喜歡 |
[28:44] | Can’t go wrong with prunes and custard. | 乾梅子配蛋奶沙司不會錯 |
[28:55] | What time it is? | 幾點了 |
[28:58] | – Eight o’clock. – How do you know? | -八點了 -你怎麼知道 |
[29:01] | Because the clock in the hall just chimed. | 因爲大廳裏的鐘剛剛報時了 |
[29:31] | Why can’t you set my clocks properly, Laurie? | 勞裏 你就不能把我的鐘調調準嗎 |
[29:34] | I don’t know where I am. | 我都不知道時間了 |
[29:36] | There’s a knack to telling the time in this house, mother. | 媽媽 在這房子 知道時間是有訣竅的 |
[29:41] | The method. | 講求方法 |
[29:48] | There’s a method in your madness, I’ll give you that. | 就你這瘋樣還講方法 真好笑 |
[29:53] | – I muddle through. – Yes, you’re a muddle all right. | -我矇混過關 -是的 你就是個糊塗蟲 |
[29:55] | You’re a one-off, I’ll give you that. | 也就一次運氣好 |
[29:58] | Well we can’t all be the same article, can we mother? | 至少我們不能都糊塗 不是嗎 媽媽 |
[30:01] | Oh, no, that’s true. | 的確是 |
[30:13] | You were late again, home, this evening. | 你今晚回家又遲到了 |
[30:16] | Laurie, weren’t you? | 勞裏 不是嗎 |
[30:18] | – Was I? – Yes, at least 10 minutes late. | -有嗎 -有的 晚了至少十分鐘 |
[30:24] | I was beginning to get worried, what were you doing? | 我開始擔心了 你在做什麼 |
[30:28] | I um… | 我 |
[30:35] | Nothing. | 沒什麼 |
[32:00] | Right. | 好吧 |
[32:15] | Well? | 怎麼了 |
[32:22] | I’ve got some news to tell you, mother. | 媽媽 我有消息要告訴你 |
[32:24] | News? What kind of news? | 消息 什麼樣的消息 |
[32:30] | – I’ve received a letter. – A summons? Father’s debts? | -我收到一封信 -傳票嗎 因爲你爸的債 |
[32:34] | No, no, no, no… | 不不不 |
[32:37] | I received this letter the other day… and it’s um, | 前幾天我收到了這封信 |
[32:44] | it’s from London. | 是倫敦來的 |
[32:46] | – London? – Yes. | -倫敦嗎 -是的 |
[32:51] | London? Who do you know from London? | 倫敦嗎 你在倫敦認識誰 |
[32:53] | A Mr Bernstein, mother. | 媽媽 是伯恩斯坦先生 |
[32:57] | Mr Bernstein is a gallery owner. | 伯恩斯坦先生有一間畫廊 |
[33:02] | And uh.. | 並且 |
[33:03] | He wants to see some of my, my paintings and if he likes them, | 他想看看我的畫 如果他喜歡的話 |
[33:07] | there’s a, there’s the possibility of me having an exhibition. | 我可能有機會辦一個畫展 |
[33:11] | Isn’t, isn’t that marvellous? At last, | 很棒不是嗎 終於 |
[33:13] | somebody’s seen something in, in me paintings. | 有人在我的畫裏看到了一些東西 |
[33:18] | London! | 倫敦 |
[33:19] | Aye, aye, London. What do you say? | 是 是的 倫敦 你怎麼看 |
[33:26] | You can’t believe everything that’s written in a letter. | 你不能相信信裏寫的一切 |
[33:30] | Laurie. Especially it’s a letter from London. | 勞裏 尤其這封信還來自倫敦 |
[33:32] | Pretentious people make all sorts of promises | 自命不凡的人總做出各種承諾 |
[33:35] | and they’ve no intention of keeping them. | 但他們並不打算信守承諾 |
[33:37] | Uh, Mr Bernstein sounded very genuine | 當我和伯恩斯坦先生通電話時 |
[33:42] | when I spoke to him on the telephone. | 他的聲音聽起來很真誠 |
[33:44] | Telephone? You telephoned Mr Bernstein? | 電話嗎 你打給伯恩斯坦先生了嗎 |
[33:47] | Eventually got through to him this, this evening. | 就在今晚 終於打通了 |
[33:51] | So that’s why I was, you know… | 所以才遲到了 |
[33:55] | What did he say? | 他說了什麼 |
[33:57] | – Praised me. – He praised you? | -誇讚了我 -他誇讚了你嗎 |
[34:01] | I’ve no reason to doubt him, mother. | 媽媽 我沒理由懷疑他 |
[34:05] | Oh, well that depends, doesn’t it? | 那要視情況而定 不是嗎 |
[34:08] | – On what? – On whether he can be trusted. | -什麼 -他是否值得信任 |
[34:12] | Still, it’s a nice letter as letters go. | 不過 這封信也不錯 |
[34:15] | Put it up on the mantelpiece. | 把它放在壁爐臺上 |
[34:17] | Save it for a rainy day. | 糟糕的日子可以看看 |
[34:21] | Well everyone needs a little encouragement | 每個人都需要一點鼓勵 |
[34:23] | now and then I suppose. | 我想有時是這樣的 |
[34:38] | ‘Dear Mr Lowry, Dear Mr.. | “親愛的洛瑞先生 |
[34:43] | Dear Mr Lowry, there is a simplicity to your work. | 親愛的洛瑞先生 你的畫作風格簡樸 |
[34:53] | Nothing is artificially created through… | 毫無通過模仿 |
[34:58] | …through likeness or representation. | 或表象人工創造出的痕跡 |
[35:02] | All is conveyed through sheer expression of feeling.” | 一切都是純粹的有感而發 |
[35:12] | Feelings. | 情感 |
[35:18] | I’ve cold feet. | 我腳冷了 |
[36:06] | – I said, put your teeth back in. – But my teeth hurt. | -把你的牙放進去 -但是我的牙很疼 |
[36:10] | Well I don’t care, I’m not kissing you with no teeth in. | 我不管 你嘴裏沒牙我是不會親你的 |
[36:13] | It’s unhygienic. | 這不衛生 |
[36:23] | What are you staring at, Laurie? | 你在看什麼 勞裏 |
[36:28] | Flames from the fire. | 爐火的火焰 |
[36:31] | Fluttering. Like moths’ wings. | 顫動着 好像飛蛾的翅膀 |
[36:37] | The things you see. | 你看到的這些景象 |
[36:43] | Where you get it from, I don’t know. | 我不知道你從哪裏學的 |
[36:45] | Not from me, that’s for sure | 反正肯定不是我 |
[36:50] | Imagination. | 都是想象 |
[36:58] | You’ll never leave me, will you Laurie? | 你永遠不會離開我的 是吧 勞裏 |
[37:03] | – No, mother. – Promise? | -是的 媽媽 -你保證 |
[37:24] | I promise. | 我保證 |
[37:29] | Ah, oh that’s good. | 太好了 |
[37:32] | That’s right. After all, what woman would have you? | 這樣纔對 畢竟 哪個女人肯要你 |
[37:40] | You and me, forever and ever. | 你和我 母子倆 一輩子 |
[37:47] | Lying here. | 躺在這 |
[37:50] | Safe. | 很安全 |
[37:55] | Floating away. | 飄啊飄 |
[37:59] | Like a boat. | 像條小船 |
[38:04] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[38:06] | Like a boat on the sea. Floating away. | 就像海上的一葉扁舟 慢慢的漂流 |
[38:13] | Safe. | 非常安全 |
[38:19] | Oh, those mongrels. | 這些雜種狗 |
[38:24] | Always spoil everything, don’t they? | 總是破壞氣氛 不是嗎 |
[38:58] | Brush my hair, will you? | 幫我梳梳頭 好嗎 |
[39:20] | Tell me about your day. | 跟我聊聊你今天怎麼過的 |
[39:23] | What would you like to know, mother? | 你想聽些什麼 媽媽 |
[39:25] | Oh, everything. Your day is my day. | 所有事情 你的生活就是我的生活 |
[39:29] | I see no one, only the maid. | 我今天除了女僕沒見任何人 |
[39:34] | How’s that feel? | 感覺怎麼樣 |
[39:37] | Lovely. | 很棒 |
[39:46] | Oh, you brush beautifully. | 你梳得可真好 |
[39:52] | Well, today mother, I saw a man… | 媽媽 今天我看到個男人 |
[39:57] | Rent man! | 收租人 |
[39:59] | – Oh, oh, it’s you, Mr Lowry. – Seem to have caught you there. | -是你啊洛瑞先生 -在這裏看到你了 |
[40:03] | Vera, Mr Lowry’s here! | 維拉 洛瑞先生來了 |
[40:05] | A man? | 一個男人嗎 |
[40:07] | – Yes. – What kind of a man? | -是的 -什麼樣的男人 |
[40:10] | I saw a man having a bath. | 我看到這個男人在洗澡 |
[40:13] | – A bath? – Yes. | -洗澡嗎 -是的 |
[40:14] | – What’s it like down there? – Bloody dark. | -礦井下面怎麼樣 -真他孃的黑 |
[40:18] | Vera! Mr Lowry’s here! | 維拉 洛瑞先生來了 |
[40:20] | He was a coal miner at Agecroft Colliery. | 他是阿格克羅夫特煤礦場的礦工 |
[40:23] | His wife wouldn’t let him in the house unclean. | 他不洗澡他老婆就不讓他進家門 |
[40:27] | Five shilling, miss. | 五先令 女士 |
[40:29] | Mr Lowry, we’re a bob short this week. | 洛瑞先生 這周我們缺錢了 少了一先令 |
[40:29] | 1971年前的旧式英国货币体系中一先令称为a bob 也就是十二便士 改革后现代英国货币体系中a bob为五新便士 | |
[40:32] | Oh, are you? Oh, right. Well, that’s twice isn’t it this year. | 是嗎 好吧也行 今年這是第二次了哦 |
[40:35] | I’m sorry. Couldn’t get the hours, could you Stanley? | 真不好意思 分不到工時 是不是斯坦利 |
[40:38] | – Can’t get blood out of stone. – What are you doing? | -石頭裏可榨不出錢來 -你在幹什麼 |
[40:40] | Where’s me bloody towel? | 我那該死的毛巾在哪 |
[40:42] | How disgusting. | 真噁心 |
[40:45] | Oh, the sights you see in Salford. | 這景象在薩爾福德很常見 |
[40:48] | There’s mother having her tea inside. | 媽媽還在裏面喝茶呢 |
[40:50] | Come back here when I’m talking to you, where you going? | 我在跟你講話呢 回來 你去哪 |
[40:54] | What’s the world coming to? | 這世界變成什麼樣了 |
[40:58] | The type of heathens you have to visit beggars belief. | 不敢相信你拜訪的都是些什麼牛鬼蛇神 |
[41:02] | – I don’t mind. – You should mind. | -我不介意 -你應該介意 |
[41:06] | Ah, it’s, it’s informative seeing how others live, | 看看別人的生活對我很有啓發 |
[41:10] | mother. It’s lives. | 這就是人生 媽媽 |
[41:12] | – Sordid life. – No, it’s real life. | -醜惡的人生 -不 是真實的人生 |
[41:14] | It’s all part of the picture, mother. | 都只是大畫布上的一小部分 媽媽 |
[41:17] | People are like monkeys, most of them. | 大部分人就像猴子 |
[41:23] | Guess what else I saw today? | 猜猜今天我還看到了什麼 |
[41:27] | I don’t want to guess. | 我不想猜 |
[41:29] | – Let me tell you. – No. | -那我告訴你吧 -不要 |
[41:31] | Today… | 今天 |
[41:33] | I saw a woman… | 我看到個女人 |
[41:35] | – A woman? – Yes. | -一個女人嗎 -是的 |
[41:38] | What kind of woman? | 什麼樣的女人 |
[41:40] | A woman… taking a ride on a bus. | 一個坐公交的女人 |
[41:43] | So what’s so unusual about that? | 所以這有什麼稀奇的嗎 |
[41:48] | She had a beard. | 她有鬍子 |
[41:53] | You saw a woman with a beard? | 你看到一個有鬍子的女人 |
[41:55] | Yes! | 是的 |
[41:57] | Whiskers. | 絡腮鬍 |
[41:58] | Whiskers? | 絡腮鬍啊 |
[42:01] | Whi…? What was she wearing whiskers for? | 什麼鬼 她爲什麼要有鬍子 |
[42:06] | No idea. Didn’t ask her. | 不知道 沒問她 |
[42:09] | Why not? | 爲什麼不問 |
[42:11] | It’s not polite, mother. | 因爲那樣不禮貌 媽媽 |
[42:14] | – But, was it detachable? – Detachable? | -是那種可拆卸的嗎 -什麼可拆卸 |
[42:17] | Yes! Detachable, elasticated. | 對啊 可以拆的那種 彈性的 |
[42:19] | Was she going to a fancy dress do? | 她是因爲時尚才這麼打扮嗎 |
[42:22] | No. | 不 |
[42:23] | Then what was she wearing a beard in public for? | 那她爲什麼要在公共場合戴鬍子 |
[42:29] | Well she was growing it. | 她在蓄鬍子 |
[42:31] | Is that legal? | 這合法嗎 |
[42:34] | Presume so. | 應該吧 |
[42:37] | Was it real? | 是真鬍子嗎 |
[42:39] | Yes. | 是的 |
[42:41] | – Her beard was real. – And it was clean? | -她的鬍子是真的 -鬍子乾淨嗎 |
[42:44] | It was combed to perfection. | 梳理得很完美 |
[42:51] | She had a dignity. | 她有種莊重感 |
[42:55] | A nobleness. | 高貴感 |
[42:59] | An acceptance of who she was. | 接受自我個性 |
[43:07] | I found her rather… | 我感覺她很 |
[43:14] | …beautiful. | 美麗 |
[43:22] | How disgusting. | 真噁心 |
[43:27] | You amaze me. | 你讓我很驚訝 |
[43:28] | The things you say, the things you see… | 你所說的 你看到的 |
[43:31] | no wonder you’ve never had a girlfriend. | 難怪你一直沒有女朋友 |
[43:34] | That’s got nothing to do with anything. | 這些沒有任何關係 |
[43:36] | Yes it has. | 有關係 |
[43:38] | You find things beautiful nobody else does. | 你覺得美的 別人都不覺得 |
[43:41] | I did a sketch of her on the back of an envelope, | 我在信封背面畫了張她的速寫 |
[43:45] | would you like to see it? | 你想看看嗎 |
[43:47] | There. | 看 |
[43:55] | No. I do not. | 不 我不想 |
[43:59] | I’ve no interest in life’s deformities. | 我對畸形的生命不感興趣 |
[44:05] | Mother. Thought might like to paint her one day. | 媽媽 我還想有一天能畫畫她 |
[44:10] | Capture her likeness for others to see. | 把她的肖像捕捉下來給別人也看看 |
[44:19] | The woman belongs in a circus freak show, not in a picture frame. | 那女人屬於巡迴畸形秀 而不是在畫框裏 |
[44:25] | How embarrassing. | 太尷尬了 |
[44:27] | Why can’t you paint something picturesque? | 你爲什麼就不能畫點優美的東西 |
[44:32] | You know, something tasteful? | 有品位一點的東西 |
[44:34] | What exactly do you suggest that I paint, mother? | 那你想讓我畫什麼 媽媽 |
[44:37] | Bowl of fruit would be a great improvement. | 畫出一碗水果就是很大的進步了 |
[44:41] | People like to see nice things. | 人們喜歡看到美好的事物 |
[44:44] | Flowers appeal to everyone. | 花朵對所有人都很有感染力 |
[44:46] | Still life. | 這也是生命 |
[44:48] | Apples, oranges, bunch of grapes… | 蘋果 橙子 幾串葡萄 |
[44:51] | A few pears. | 幾個梨 |
[44:53] | Bananas. Piled high. | 香蕉 疊起來高高的 |
[44:56] | Oh no, don’t be ridiculous. | 不是 別瞎扯掰了 |
[44:58] | My paintings are… | 我的畫 |
[45:00] | They’re not just pictures of factories, mills, and streets, | 它們不是單純的臨摹工廠 磨坊 街道 |
[45:04] | mother. | 媽媽 |
[45:07] | Every window, every brick, every stroke of colour, it’s… | 每扇窗戶 每塊磚 每一筆顏料 |
[45:12] | It’s made up of me. | 都由我的靈魂組成 |
[45:22] | I have to do it, mother. | 我必須這麼做 媽媽 |
[45:26] | I’m compelled to put down everything. | 我的內心逼迫我把所有東西畫下來 |
[45:30] | You should visit Dr Mills. | 你應該去看看米爾斯醫生 |
[45:35] | You’re not right in the head. | 你腦子不正常 |
[45:37] | Control yourself. | 控制下你自己 |
[45:39] | When… | 每當 |
[45:41] | See when I’m… | 當我 |
[45:43] | When I’m walking through Salford streets, | 每當我從薩爾福德街上走過的時候 |
[45:47] | collecting the rounds, people’s rent, | 各家各戶收租 |
[45:51] | I feel that I need to capture a way of life, mother. | 我感到我必須捕捉這種生活方式 媽媽 |
[45:57] | You see… our world. | 我們的世界 |
[46:01] | The truth. | 真相 |
[46:05] | How dare you? | 你哪來的膽 |
[46:07] | The truth has nothing to do with living in Pendlebury. | 真相與彭德伯裏的生活毫無關係 |
[46:11] | Our world is elsewhere, | 我們的世界在別處 |
[46:12] | back in the house we had to leave in Victoria Park. | 在維多利亞公園我們不得不離開的房子裏 |
[46:18] | We came here… your father couldn’t afford… | 我們到這來 是因爲你爸爸 |
[46:23] | …for us to live anywhere else. He failed us. | 負擔不起在別處生活的開支 他辜負了我們 |
[46:26] | Laurie, he failed me. | 勞裏 他辜負了我 |
[46:33] | It was years ago, mother. | 那是好多年前了 媽媽 |
[46:43] | I belonged in Victoria Park. | 維多利亞公園纔是我的歸屬 |
[46:46] | A place with starched white collars. | 一個有着筆挺西裝衣領 |
[46:49] | And the scent of lavender soap on people’s skin. | 和人們身上淡淡的薰衣草香皂味的地方 |
[46:52] | It’s a different world. | 那是個完全不同的世界 |
[47:05] | I cannot abide ugliness. | 我無法容忍醜陋之事 |
[47:07] | I haven’t the constitution for it. | 我的體質接受不了 |
[47:10] | I’ve never stepped near the mill in my life. | 我這一輩子從來沒有靠近過磨坊 |
[47:13] | The very idea is abhorrent. | 光是想想就很反胃了 |
[47:16] | There’s a mill across the street, mother. And around the corner. | 街對面就有一個磨坊 媽媽 街拐角處 |
[47:22] | We… hear the sound of it. | 我們能聽到它的聲音 |
[47:25] | People labour there every day. | 每天人們都去那做工 |
[47:29] | The life of it, we hear it thumping, thumping away. | 它也有生命 我們能聽到它在怦怦跳動 |
[47:37] | We’re part of it, mother. | 我們也是它的一部分 媽媽 |
[47:41] | It’s humanity. | 這就是人性 |
[47:46] | Survival. | 生存之道 |
[47:51] | It’s the battle for life. | 是一場生命之戰 |
[48:00] | Where is the beauty? | 它哪裏美了 |
[48:10] | There. | 那裏 |
[48:22] | Like rats, they are. | 他們就像老鼠 |
[48:37] | Ivory black, vermillion, Prussian blue, yellow ochre. | 象牙黑 硃紅色 普魯士藍 赭石黃 |
[48:44] | Crowds can be the loneliest of places. | 人羣中也可以是最孤獨的地方 |
[48:49] | They haunt me… the lonely souls. | 這些孤獨的靈魂 它們縈繞着我 |
[48:59] | Ghosts… | 鬼魂 |
[49:17] | Is that you, Laurie? | 是你嗎 勞裏 |
[49:19] | Yes, mother. | 是的 媽媽 |
[49:21] | Who else would it be? | 不然還會是誰 |
[49:23] | I’ve no idea, you could’ve been anyone. | 我不知道 誰都有可能 |
[49:40] | Come in. | 進來吧 |
[49:43] | Good evening… | 晚上好 |
[49:49] | Ooh, right, yeah… | 好吧 |
[49:54] | Lovely. What’s a… | 很好看 怎麼了 |
[50:00] | Tell me, why the… | 告訴我 爲什麼 |
[50:04] | Today I had a visitor. | 今天有人來看望我 |
[50:06] | A visitor? | 有客人來嗎 |
[50:11] | We don’t have visitors. | 我們從來沒客人的 |
[50:13] | – I do. – No, you don’t. | -我有 -不 你沒有 |
[50:16] | You made sure the world paid for 10 years. | 你確保了十年內都不會有客人的 |
[50:17] | The only visitors you get are Dr Mills | 除了米爾斯醫生 |
[50:19] | and the girl who does your dusting. | 和那個幫你撣灰的小姑娘 |
[50:21] | Sneaks in the evening newspaper. | 還有晚上的報紙 |
[50:22] | Well… today I had a visitor. | 無論如何 今天我有客人 |
[50:26] | Visitor… who? | 客人 是誰 |
[50:29] | – Can’t you guess? – No. | -你猜不到嗎 -不 |
[50:32] | – Yes you can. – No, I can’t. | -猜一下 -我猜不到 |
[50:33] | – Yes, you can. – No, I can’t. Was it a bailiff? | -你猜猜 -我不知道 難道是法警嗎 |
[50:37] | No. You always bring in such horrible things. | 當然不是 你怎麼總想到這麼可怕的東西 |
[50:41] | No… today… | 不是的 今天 |
[50:45] | I had a lady caller. | 有一位女士來探望了我 |
[50:50] | Who? | 她是誰 |
[50:52] | Our new neighbour from next door. | 咱們隔壁的新鄰居 |
[50:55] | Mrs Stanhope. | 斯坦霍普太太 |
[50:59] | – Mrs Stanhope? – Mrs Stanhope. | -斯坦霍普太太嗎 -就是斯坦霍普太太 |
[51:03] | She wanted to see me. | 她想來看看我 |
[51:05] | She’s making collection for St. Boniface’s Church. | 她正在爲聖博尼費斯教堂募捐 |
[51:08] | The restoration fund. | 爲教堂重建集資 |
[51:09] | So I said, of course, she could come in. Let her in. | 所以我說 當然 她可以進來 請她進來 |
[51:13] | You? You let a stranger in the house? You? | 你嗎 你竟讓一個陌生人進屋 |
[51:17] | Mrs Stanhope’s not a stranger. | 斯坦霍普太太不是陌生人 |
[51:20] | Laurie! | 勞裏 |
[51:21] | Doreen’s my new found friend! | 多琳是我的新朋友 |
[51:24] | Doreen? | 多琳 |
[51:26] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[51:28] | We’ve a lot in common. | 我們有很多共同點 |
[51:31] | Doreen’s husband is making her life a misery. | 多琳的丈夫也讓她的生活苦不堪言 |
[51:35] | Do you think I’m made of money? | 你以爲我是有錢人嗎 |
[51:36] | Well that’s what you kept saying when you were courting me. | 你追求我時可一直是這樣說的 |
[51:38] | He’s a Labour Party Councillor. | 他是工黨議員 |
[51:40] | I can’t win with you, can I? | 我和你在一起不會有出頭之日的 |
[51:42] | So she’s forced to live in Pendlebury. | 所以她被迫搬至彭德伯里居住 |
[51:44] | In the filth. | 這骯髒低等的社區 |
[51:45] | You keep your act. | 你規矩點 |
[51:46] | She’s not pleased. | 她很痛苦 |
[51:48] | And you can live alone horrible house in Pendlebury. | 你自己在彭德伯裏這可怖的房子裏住吧 |
[51:50] | She shops in Marshall and Snelgrove’s. | 她在馬歇爾和斯奈格羅夫的店裏購物 |
[52:11] | She stay for long? | 她待了很久嗎 |
[52:13] | Long enough to have a polite conversation | 足以我們友好地交談一番 |
[52:16] | and to form an acquaintance and Laurie… | 並相互熟識了 而且 勞裏 |
[52:19] | that’s not all. | 不止如此 |
[52:20] | She admired one of your paintings. | 她很欣賞你的一幅畫作 |
[52:26] | Which, which one? | 哪一幅 |
[52:27] | ‘Sailing Boats’, 1930. | 1930年那幅”帆船'” |
[52:34] | Mrs Stanhope knows about paintings, she goes to art shows. | 斯坦霍普太太懂得欣賞畫作 她常去畫展 |
[52:37] | Course she’d never heard about you, but she admired your painting. | 當然她從未聽說過你 但她欣賞你的畫作 |
[52:43] | She never… | 她不可能 |
[52:45] | “It’s a perfectly delightful picture.” | “這是一幅非常令人愉悅的畫作” |
[52:48] | It’s a perfectly delightful picture. | 這是一幅非常令人愉悅的畫作 |
[52:56] | – That’s wonderful, isn’t it? – Yes! | -真是太好了 對嗎 -當然 |
[53:01] | I’m amazed. Actually, I’m… | 我太意外了 事實上 我 |
[53:05] | Well, flabbergasted, actually. | 我簡直目瞪口呆 |
[53:09] | So was I. Laurie. Fetch it up here | 我也是 勞裏 快去把畫拿來 |
[53:12] | so I can see it for myself. | 讓我親眼瞧瞧 |
[53:15] | I want to savour Mrs Stanhope’s | 我也要體味一下斯坦霍普太太口中 |
[53:18] | “perfectly delightful picture.” | 那”非常令人愉悅的畫作” |
[53:22] | – You do? – I do! | -你確定 -我確定 |
[53:24] | Go on, now, hurry up! | 快去快去 馬上就去 |
[53:52] | Be careful now! | 小心着點 |
[53:56] | Such excitement. | 太讓人激動了 |
[53:58] | Be careful of my china ornaments. | 小心我的陶瓷飾物 |
[54:01] | My little Pug dog. | 我的小哈巴狗 |
[54:03] | It’s an antique, I think. | 那可是件古董 至少我這麼想 |
[54:07] | Here it is, mother. | 來了 母親 |
[54:11] | The painting. | 就是這幅 |
[54:24] | Yes. | 沒錯 |
[54:30] | Yes, I see what Mrs Stanhope sees. | 沒錯 我明白斯坦霍普太太的意思了 |
[54:35] | You like it, mother? | 母親 您喜歡這幅畫嗎 |
[54:36] | I do. Its merits are obvious. | 是的 它的美是那麼的明顯 |
[54:41] | I painted it for you. | 這幅畫是專爲您而畫 |
[54:43] | – You did? – I did, yes, yeah. | -真的嗎 -是啊 沒錯 |
[54:47] | – Well, I don’t recall when. – It was for your birthday. | -我怎麼想不起來了 -是您生日時所畫 |
[54:51] | You not remember? | 您不記得了嗎 |
[54:52] | I painted it from memory. It’s a gift of the past. | 我憑記憶畫的 算是對過去時光的紀念 |
[54:58] | – ‘Sailing Boats.’ – A gift… of the past. | -“帆船'” -對過去時光 的懷念 |
[55:09] | Now this is what I call a proper painting. | 這纔是我一直所說的真正的畫作 |
[55:11] | Why can’t you paint like this anymore? | 你怎麼不再畫點這樣的畫了 |
[55:15] | The sea… the sky… | 看這海面 這天空 |
[55:19] | Well, you said you didn’t like it. | 您之前說不喜歡 |
[55:22] | – I didn’t. – Yes, you did. | -我沒說過 -您確實說過 |
[55:26] | When I first gave it to you… you turned your head away, | 我第一次把它送您時 您扭開了臉 |
[55:30] | and closed your eyes. | 閉上了眼睛 |
[55:34] | Well that must’ve been one of my hazy head days. | 一定是我那幾天頭腦不清 |
[55:38] | No, no I like this painting. Very much. | 不會的 我喜歡這幅畫 非常喜歡 |
[56:13] | We danced at the seaside together. | 那時 我們一起在海邊跳舞 |
[56:16] | Yes. Lytham St. Annes, the promenade. | 沒錯 在萊薩姆聖安納斯濱海大道 |
[56:21] | – I was seven years old. – Yes, you were. | -我那時七歲 -是的 你七歲時 |
[56:26] | Whitson. | 在惠特森 |
[56:41] | How beautiful you were. | 你那時多麼可愛 |
[56:44] | And how blessed was I. | 我又是多麼幸福 |
[56:50] | Life held so much promise in the beginning… | 一開始 生活總是充滿希望 |
[56:55] | The whiteness… | 那種潔白 |
[57:06] | – ‘Sailing Boats’. – ‘Sailing Boats’. | -“帆船'” -“帆船'” |
[57:17] | – You truly like the painting, mother? – Yes, I do. | -媽媽 您真的喜歡這幅畫嗎 -真的喜歡 |
[57:22] | “A perfectly delightful picture.” | “一幅非常令人愉悅的畫作” |
[57:27] | Would you like me to, to hang it on your bedroom wall? | 你想讓我把它掛在臥室的牆上嗎 |
[57:32] | In here? | 掛這裏嗎 |
[57:34] | Yes, so you can see it every day. | 是啊 這樣您每天都可以看到它了 |
[57:38] | What would be the point of that? | 這又有何意義呢 |
[57:41] | – I thought you liked it. – I do like it. | -您不是喜歡它嗎 -我的確喜歡 |
[57:44] | – I shall pay the two shillings entry fee. – For what? | -我要付2先令的參展費 -給誰 |
[57:49] | For the Manchester Academy Summer Show. | 給曼徹斯特學院的夏季展覽 |
[57:54] | Mrs Stanhope says amateur artists can enter. | 斯坦霍普太太說業餘藝術家也可以參加 |
[58:02] | I want you to enter ‘Sailing Boats’. | 我想讓你把”帆船'”送去參展 |
[58:09] | And when that Mr Denby sees it | 那位登比先生看到這幅畫時 |
[58:12] | he’ll write a review worthy of your talents. | 他就能寫一篇與你才能相稱的評論了 |
[58:15] | And everybody in Manchester will read it, | 曼徹斯特的每一個人都會讀到這評論 |
[58:18] | and you’ll make your mother so proud. | 那時你會讓你的母親感到無比自豪 |
[58:23] | Won’t you? | 對吧 |
[58:29] | What do you say? | 你覺得呢 |
[58:33] | – I don’t know, mother. – What do you mean you don’t know? | -媽媽 我說不好 -什麼叫你說不好 |
[58:38] | The… Well, I painted it for you. | 這畫是專爲您畫的 |
[58:42] | Well, of course, you did. | 這話沒錯 |
[58:43] | But I want everyone to admire it. | 但我希望所有人都能欣賞到它 |
[58:48] | You’ll do this for me… | 你會爲我這樣做的 |
[58:51] | won’t you? | 對嗎 |
[58:54] | It’ll make me so happy. | 這會讓我很開心的 |
[58:58] | – Happy? – Yes. | -您開心嗎 -對啊 |
[59:02] | Well, I’ll enter the painting for you, mother. | 那麼媽媽 我會爲了您而參展的 |
[59:08] | Course I will. | 我當然會這樣做 |
[59:10] | Of course. | 當然 |
[59:12] | How wonderful! | 太好了 |
[59:20] | Childhood games. Childhood friends. | 孩提時的遊戲 孩提時的朋友 |
[59:24] | Something I’ve never known. | 有些事情我從不明白 |
[59:25] | Who’s that? Who’s here? | 是誰呀 誰呀 |
[59:28] | Playing. | 遊戲 |
[59:39] | There’s nobody there! Well, well, well, well. | 沒有人呀 好吧 好吧 |
[59:44] | That’s very strange. That’s very strange. | 好奇怪呀 太奇怪了 |
[59:52] | Well. I, I think I’ve, I think I’ve gotta sneeze. | 好吧 我好像要打個噴嚏 |
[1:00:04] | Where’s my money gone? I hope nobody’s picked it up. | 我的錢都去哪兒了 但願沒人撿走 |
[1:00:10] | It was always mother and me. | 那時 我總和母親待在一起 |
[1:00:13] | Wrapped up, locked away. | 離羣索居 遺世獨立 |
[1:00:16] | Hidden behind her lace curtains. | 深藏於她那蕾絲窗簾之後 |
[1:00:19] | Tick-tock, tick-tock. | 靜靜地聆聽時間的流逝 |
[1:00:24] | You must always be vigilant where other children are concerned. | 和其他孩子接觸時務必萬分謹慎 |
[1:00:28] | Lice and nits. | 他們藏污納垢 |
[1:00:43] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[1:00:45] | The art critic, Mr Denby, | 登比先生 那位藝術評論家 |
[1:00:47] | has made no mention of your painting, in the Summer Show. | 竟然對你在夏季展覽的畫作隻字未提 |
[1:00:53] | Hasn’t he? | 他沒有嗎 |
[1:00:54] | No. Doreen Stanhope told all | 沒提 多琳 斯坦霍普告訴了她的 |
[1:00:58] | her cultured friends… | 所有知書達禮的朋友 |
[1:01:02] | We don’t need an art critic to tell us | 人們無需藝術評論家來告訴他們 |
[1:01:04] | what we like, do we, mother? | 應該喜歡什麼 不是嗎 媽媽 |
[1:01:05] | Yes, of course, we do. People need to be advised, | 當然需要 人們需要有人指導 |
[1:01:08] | it’s mandatory. | 這是很有必要的 |
[1:01:10] | Painting’s there, it exists. | 畫就是畫 它的存在 |
[1:01:12] | It will always exist. | 不以外界任何因素爲轉移 |
[1:01:15] | People can see it for what it is. Or not. | 人們要麼能理解 要麼不能 |
[1:01:19] | I’ve a good mind to write to the editor | 我真想給報社的編輯 |
[1:01:22] | of the newspaper and complain. | 寫信投訴 |
[1:01:28] | The man claims to be an expert, an expert on what? | 這人自稱是專家 他算哪門子專家 |
[1:01:31] | He obviously knows nothing about art. | 他顯然對藝術一竅不通 |
[1:01:34] | Quite. | 別鬧了 |
[1:01:35] | Thank goodness you didn’t agree to the London exhibition, | 謝天謝地你沒同意去倫敦參展 |
[1:01:37] | how embarrassing. | 不然可就尷尬了 |
[1:01:43] | Drink your tea, mother, it’s… going cold. | 快喝茶吧媽媽 茶要涼了 |
[1:01:47] | I paid two shillings for the privilege of entering your painting | 我花了2先令才讓你的畫作 |
[1:01:52] | into the Summer Show. | 有幸在夏季展覽參展 |
[1:01:55] | Why can’t people see what we can see? | 人們怎麼就理解不了這畫的精髓所在呢 |
[1:01:59] | “A perfectly delightful picture.” | “一幅非常令人愉悅的畫作” |
[1:02:05] | What are you doing this afternoon? | 你今天下午幹什麼 |
[1:02:09] | The usual. | 同往常一樣 |
[1:02:14] | Might make a start on your windows. | 可能從您臥室的窗戶開始吧 |
[1:02:37] | You’re working too hard, dear. | 你幹活太賣力了 親愛的 |
[1:02:41] | Nice to get out a bit. | 出去走走吧 |
[1:02:44] | It isn’t healthy staying in with me all the time. | 總和我待在一起不利於你身體健康 |
[1:02:47] | You’ve never said that before, mother. Why’s that? | 媽媽 您從未如此說過 這是怎麼了 |
[1:02:52] | This afternoon, Doreen Stanhope is calling to see me. | 多琳·斯坦霍普今天下午要來拜訪我 |
[1:02:57] | We’re going to share a vanilla slice | 我們要一起嚐嚐格林哈爾希家的 |
[1:03:00] | from Greenhalgh’s. | 香草切片蛋糕 |
[1:03:07] | So, why the long face? | 你爲何拉着個臉呢 |
[1:03:12] | Haven’t got a long face, mother. | 媽媽 我哪有 |
[1:03:13] | Well that’s debatable. | 這可有待商榷 |
[1:03:16] | Why don’t you make a few sandwiches | 你爲何不做上幾個三明治 |
[1:03:18] | and walk into Farnworth? | 帶上去法恩沃思轉轉呢 |
[1:03:19] | That would be nice. | 這不很好嗎 |
[1:03:21] | I don’t want to go for a walk into Farnworth. | 我不想去法恩沃思散步 |
[1:03:23] | Well you can’t stop here. | 反正你不能待在這兒 |
[1:03:29] | Laurie! | 勞裏 |
[1:03:31] | I’m intending to have a tête à tête with Doreen, | 我打算和多琳單獨坐坐 |
[1:03:34] | I’m entitled to a bit of privacy. | 我應該有點私人空間 |
[1:03:36] | Well, sorry you find me an embarrassment, mother. | 很抱歉我讓您難堪了 媽媽 |
[1:03:40] | No, I just want you to get out more. | 沒有 我只是想讓你多出去走走 |
[1:03:43] | That’s all. I insist. | 就是這樣 我堅持如此 |
[1:03:46] | Very well. If you want me out of the way… | 好吧 如果您想讓我走開 |
[1:03:50] | I shall get off into Bolton. | 那我就去博爾頓吧 |
[1:03:52] | No, I just want you to be able to get out a little. | 不不 我就是想讓你在周圍轉轉 |
[1:03:57] | Anyway, what’s the big attraction of Bolton? | 再說 博爾頓有什麼值得去的呢 |
[1:04:02] | A chimney. Yes, it’s the tallest in Lancashire. | 那兒有個煙囪 是蘭開夏郡最高的煙囪 |
[1:04:12] | You certainly know how to live a life. | 你可真會生活啊 |
[1:04:16] | I might make some sketches on the way. | 我可能會在路上畫些素描 |
[1:04:19] | – Don’t be late. – I won’t be late, mother. | -別回來晚了 -不會的 媽媽 |
[1:04:22] | You enjoy your vanilla slice. | 好好享用您的香草切片蛋糕吧 |
[1:04:24] | I intend to. | 當然 |
[1:04:27] | Good. | 好吧 |
[1:04:37] | Jealousy. | 這是嫉妒了 |
[1:04:59] | For years, I’ve come up here. | 多年來 我常登上這裏 |
[1:05:02] | For years, I’ve walked across this moor. | 多年來 我常穿越這片荒蕪 |
[1:05:06] | Alone. | 獨自一人 |
[1:05:08] | I don’t need anyone. | 我不需要他人陪伴 |
[1:05:27] | You can see everything from up here. | 從這你能將一切盡收眼底 |
[1:05:30] | Like a bird, | 就像一隻鳥 |
[1:05:31] | I observe it. | 鳥瞰一切 |
[1:05:34] | Majesty of everything. | 掌控一切的王者 |
[1:05:37] | The landscape, the towns, smoke-belching, | 這景色 小鎮 冒出的濃煙 |
[1:05:41] | steam and fire. | 蒸汽和火焰 |
[1:05:44] | The power of industry, | 工業之力 |
[1:05:47] | like a furnace… | 就像一個火爐般 |
[1:05:49] | …burning. | 燃燒着 |
[1:05:53] | ‘Dear Mr Lowry, | 親愛的洛瑞先生 |
[1:05:56] | There’s a simplicity to your work. | 你的畫作風格簡樸 |
[1:06:00] | Nothing is artificially created through likeness or representation. | 毫無通過模仿或表象人工創造出的痕跡 |
[1:06:07] | All is conveyed by sheer expression of feelings.’ | 一切都是純粹的有感而發 |
[1:06:16] | There’s a mystery in everything… | 一切事物都有謎題 |
[1:06:21] | a poetry. | 一首詩歌 |
[1:06:24] | People think they can do what they want. | 人們總覺得自己無所不能 |
[1:06:27] | They can’t, you know. | 其實他們做不到 |
[1:06:30] | Nobody is free. | 沒人是無拘無束的 |
[1:06:34] | We’re all captured. | 我們都被困住了 |
[1:06:35] | In a picture. | 困在畫中 |
[1:06:38] | And everybody is a stranger to everyone else. | 所有人都互不認識 陌生相待 |
[1:06:48] | Hello, mother! | 我回來了 媽媽 |
[1:06:50] | It’s me! | 是我 |
[1:07:01] | Mother? | 媽媽 |
[1:07:23] | Did you have a good afternoon? | 您下午過得如何 |
[1:07:27] | Did you talk about, um, | 你們有聊什麼 |
[1:07:29] | interesting things? | 有趣的事情嗎 |
[1:07:33] | Did um… | 那個 |
[1:07:36] | How long did Mrs Stanhope stay? | 斯坦霍普太太在這待了多久 |
[1:07:40] | It was a fleeting visit. | 她沒待多久 |
[1:07:45] | Well I see you haven’t eaten your vanilla slices. | 我看這香草切片蛋糕你們還沒吃呢 |
[1:07:49] | Mrs Stanhope wasn’t in the mood and neither was I. | 斯坦霍普太太和我都沒這心情 |
[1:07:57] | Shall I take it… | 那要我把它 |
[1:07:58] | take it away, put it in the larder? | 拿走放到廚房嗎 |
[1:08:00] | You can drop it down one of your chimneys for all I care. | 我纔不管你要把它扔到哪個煙囪裏 |
[1:08:12] | What is it, mother? | 怎麼了 媽 |
[1:08:14] | What’s the matter? | 發生了什麼 |
[1:08:16] | You know what’s the matter. | 你知道發生了什麼 |
[1:08:19] | Do i? | 我知道嗎 |
[1:08:21] | Yes you do! | 你就是知道 |
[1:08:22] | Um, no I don’t. | 不是 我不知道 |
[1:08:24] | Oh, you don’t? | 你不知道 |
[1:08:27] | Then read this and all will be revealed. | 看看這個你就知道了 |
[1:08:39] | It’s a cheque, mother, | 這是張支票 媽媽 |
[1:08:41] | for 20 pounds! | 20英鎊 |
[1:08:42] | 20 pounds! | 20英鎊 |
[1:08:45] | All right, smash up the house. | 隨便你 你就砸房子吧 |
[1:08:46] | You’re round the twist you! | 你瘋了你 |
[1:08:46] | You’re like your mother. | 你跟你媽一個樣 |
[1:08:47] | How dare you talk about my mother? | 你怎麼敢這麼說我媽 |
[1:08:50] | I haven’t finished with that! | 我還沒吃完呢 |
[1:08:51] | Finished with that! | 吃完 |
[1:08:52] | Well, I’m finished with you! | 看我先吃了你 |
[1:08:53] | Get out of my house. | 滾出我的房子 |
[1:08:54] | You ruined it. | 都是你毀的 |
[1:08:55] | You ruined it me whole life. | 你毀了我一輩子 |
[1:08:58] | Mr Stanhope wants to buy a painting. | 斯坦霍普先生想買一幅畫 |
[1:09:02] | Does he? | 是嗎 |
[1:09:03] | He, he wants to buy a painting. | 他 他想買一幅畫 |
[1:09:07] | Uh, Cyril! | 西里爾 |
[1:09:08] | Oh, Cyril wants to buy one of your paintings. | 西里爾想買你的一幅畫 |
[1:09:12] | – Yes. – And which painting is that? | -對啊 -那是哪一副畫啊 |
[1:09:14] | The painting hanging in the Summer Show. | 是在夏季展覽上展出的畫 |
[1:09:17] | And what’s it called? | 它叫什麼啊 |
[1:09:19] | ‘Coming From The Mill.’ | “工廠中歸來” |
[1:09:21] | I can’t hear you. | 我聽不見 |
[1:09:23] | ‘Coming From The Mill.’ | “工廠中歸來” |
[1:09:26] | And how did it get to | 那它是怎麼會 |
[1:09:28] | hang in the Summer Exhibition? | 在夏季展覽展出的呢 |
[1:09:31] | I entered it. | 我拿去參展了 |
[1:09:33] | Did you? | 是嗎 |
[1:09:34] | I entered both paintings, mother. | 我把兩幅畫都拿去參展了 媽媽 |
[1:09:38] | ‘Coming From The Mill’ and ‘Sailing Boats’. | “工廠中歸來”和”帆船” |
[1:09:43] | And you didn’t tell me? | 你還沒有告訴我 |
[1:09:46] | You didn’t keep me informed. | 你都沒有讓我知道一下 |
[1:09:49] | I didn’t want to upset you, mother… | 我不想讓你傷心 媽 |
[1:09:51] | you know it’s… | 你知道的 |
[1:09:52] | I thought it were best you didn’t know. | 我覺得你還是不知道爲好 |
[1:09:54] | Well I know now, don’t I? | 但我現在還是知道了 不是嗎 |
[1:09:56] | And so does Mrs Stanhope. | 斯坦霍普太太也知道了 |
[1:09:58] | Mrs Stanhope’s not pleased, | 斯坦霍普太太很不高興 |
[1:10:00] | no she’s not pleased at all. | 她一點也不高興 |
[1:10:01] | She thinks ‘Coming From The Mill’ | 她覺得”工廠中歸來” |
[1:10:03] | is a sordid, ugly picture. | 是一幅污濁醜陋的畫作 |
[1:10:05] | And so do I! | 我也這麼覺得 |
[1:10:08] | She’s bettered herself, | 她已經出人頭地了 |
[1:10:10] | she doesn’t want to look at a lot of mill workers | 她纔不想看着一羣工廠工人 |
[1:10:13] | hanging on a parlour wall, | 掛在臥室的牆上面 |
[1:10:15] | she doesn’t want to be reminded that | 她也不想記起 |
[1:10:17] | she was born in Cotton Bottom Lane. | 她出身在棉底巷 |
[1:10:21] | She’s furious! | 她惱羞成怒 |
[1:10:24] | She’s made me promise not to | 她讓我保證不會 |
[1:10:26] | let you sell that painting | 讓你把那幅畫賣掉 |
[1:10:29] | and I agreed. | 我同意了 |
[1:10:38] | You are willful. | 你太任性 |
[1:10:39] | And selfish. | 又自私 |
[1:10:42] | From your conception, | 在你的構想中 |
[1:10:44] | you robbed me of my life. | 你奪走了我的生活 |
[1:10:45] | I’ve sacrificed everything for you, | 我爲了你犧牲了一切 |
[1:10:47] | what have you done for me? | 而你又爲我做了什麼 |
[1:10:49] | Paint, mother. | 我在畫畫 媽媽 |
[1:10:51] | Industrial scenes nobody wants. | 畫沒人想要的工業風光 |
[1:10:54] | Well, Mr Stanhope does. | 但是 斯坦霍普先生想要 |
[1:10:56] | Mr Stanhope. | 斯坦霍普先生 |
[1:10:57] | What does he know about art? | 他對藝術又瞭解什麼 |
[1:11:00] | He’s a Socialist. | 他是個社會主義者 |
[1:11:02] | He’s made a career out of grime and filth. | 他的事業就是團骯髒污穢 |
[1:11:05] | It’s Mrs Stanhope I care about. | 我只管斯坦霍普太太 |
[1:11:08] | And her friends, | 還有她的朋友 |
[1:11:09] | her cultured friends. | 她那些知書達理的朋友 |
[1:11:12] | And I want to belong. | 而我也想成爲其中一員 |
[1:11:16] | Are you not pleased, a little? | 你是不是有點不高興 |
[1:11:20] | Just a little… | 就是 |
[1:11:22] | that somebody wants to buy… | 因爲有人想買我的一幅畫 |
[1:11:25] | a painting… mother? | 有點生氣 媽媽 |
[1:11:27] | That somebody can see something… | 因爲有人能欣賞我的畫 |
[1:11:30] | Nobody can see anything! | 沒人能欣賞得了 |
[1:11:33] | Well, Mr Bernstein can see something, in London. | 但是倫敦的伯恩斯坦先生能欣賞 |
[1:11:36] | He said so in his letter, | 他在信裏面說的 |
[1:11:39] | here. | 你看 |
[1:11:39] | Well let me see. | 那讓我看看 |
[1:11:40] | Give it to me. | 給我 |
[1:11:41] | Oh… right. | 好吧 |
[1:11:58] | No, no, no, no, no! | 不不不 不要 |
[1:12:14] | Thank goodness that’s over. | 謝天謝地這件事就這樣結束了 |
[1:12:16] | It’s not over, mother. | 沒有結束 媽媽 |
[1:12:18] | Till I send Mr Bernstein some more of my paintings. | 我還會給伯恩斯坦先生送去更多畫 |
[1:12:21] | Mr Bernstein has yet to decide. | 伯恩斯坦先生還沒有決定 |
[1:12:23] | Well you send him some paintings, | 那你就給他送去 |
[1:12:25] | see what it gets you. | 看看會怎樣 |
[1:12:41] | So this is where life has brought me. | 這就是生活給予我的嗎 |
[1:12:48] | You… Me… | 你 我 |
[1:12:52] | The rent collector… | 收租人 |
[1:12:56] | The invalid… | 無用的 |
[1:12:57] | I do my best, mother. | 我盡力了 媽媽 |
[1:12:59] | Really? | 真的嗎 |
[1:13:00] | That’s right. | 當然 |
[1:13:06] | Why is it, | 那爲什麼 |
[1:13:07] | when I look at you… I… | 每當我看見你 |
[1:13:14] | I always want to close my eyes. | 我就想閉上眼睛 |
[1:13:17] | I never wanted a child, | 我從來沒有想要一個孩子 |
[1:13:19] | never. | 從來沒有 |
[1:13:20] | Never wanted… never wanted a child, | 從來沒有 從來沒有 |
[1:13:23] | I never wanted a child… | 從來沒有想要孩子 |
[1:13:24] | This is me, mother. | 我就是我 媽媽 |
[1:13:28] | The man standing before you is me! | 我就站在你面前呢 |
[1:13:35] | Nothing more, nothing less. | 僅此而已 |
[1:13:38] | What is that? | 什麼意思 |
[1:13:41] | A man, mother. | 一個人 媽媽 |
[1:13:44] | A man that paints. | 一個畫畫的人 |
[1:13:54] | Have you never… | 你是不是從來沒有 |
[1:13:56] | have you never really liked | 你從來都沒有喜歡過 |
[1:13:59] | any one of my paintings, mother? | 我畫的畫 媽媽 |
[1:14:12] | No! No! | 不 不喜歡 |
[1:14:15] | That’s the simple truth. | 就這麼簡單 |
[1:14:31] | Laurie! | 勞裏 |
[1:14:33] | What are you doing? | 你在幹什麼 |
[1:14:43] | Laurie, I’ve fallen out of bed! | 勞裏 我從牀上掉下來了 |
[1:14:49] | Laurie! | 勞裏 |
[1:15:20] | You come and pick me up! | 快來扶我起來 |
[1:15:28] | Laurie! What are you doing? | 勞裏 你在幹什麼 |
[1:15:34] | Laurie! | 勞裏 |
[1:16:03] | I’m going to burn them, mother. | 我要把它們燒掉 媽媽 |
[1:16:06] | I’m going to burn every painting! | 我要把所有的畫都燒掉 |
[1:16:08] | I wish you had years ago. | 你幾年前就該這麼做了 |
[1:16:15] | Is that what you want? | 這就是你想要的嗎 |
[1:16:16] | Go on, do it! | 繼續 燒啊 |
[1:16:18] | Would that make you happy? | 這樣你就高興了嗎 |
[1:16:21] | Do it! | 燒啊 |
[1:16:22] | Now! | 馬上 |
[1:16:23] | Every painting I did was for you! | 每一幅畫都是我爲你畫的 |
[1:16:29] | Gonna do it, mother, | 我馬上就燒 媽媽 |
[1:16:32] | for you. | 爲了你 |
[1:16:36] | Every painting I did was for her. | 每幅畫都是我爲她畫的 |
[1:16:41] | Every painting, | 每幅畫 |
[1:16:42] | every painting I did… | 每幅畫都是我 |
[1:16:46] | …for her! | 爲她畫的 |
[1:16:49] | Everything I do is for her. | 我做的每件事都是爲了她 |
[1:16:53] | Everything I do… | 我做的每件事 |
[1:16:55] | is for her. | 都是爲了她 |
[1:17:03] | Everything I do is for her, | 我做的每件事都是爲了她 |
[1:17:07] | for love… | 爲了愛 |
[1:17:20] | Nobody comes to see me now. | 現在沒人來看我了 |
[1:17:24] | No lady caller. | 沒有女士來看望 |
[1:17:26] | No Mrs Stanhope. | 也沒有斯坦霍普太太 |
[1:17:29] | Doreen. | 多琳 |
[1:18:27] | Mrs Stanhope said | 斯坦霍普太太說過 |
[1:18:29] | we’d go somewhere cultured. | 我們會一起去更文明的地方 |
[1:18:33] | Enlighten ourselves with like-minded people. | 讓志同道合的人來啓發我們 |
[1:18:38] | A different world. | 一個不一樣的世界 |
[1:19:00] | Pitter patter. | 滴滴答答 |
[1:19:05] | Pitter patter. | 滴滴答答 |
[1:19:57] | This is a lovely bowl of soup. | 這碗湯真不錯 |
[1:20:00] | Not too hot, not too cold. | 不燙 也不冷 |
[1:20:04] | Just right. | 剛剛好 |
[1:20:07] | I hope you’ll clear out the back yard. | 我希望你把後院清理乾淨了 |
[1:20:10] | The neighbours don’t want an unsightly mess. | 鄰居不會想看到那一團糟的 |
[1:20:21] | You’re very quiet today! | 你今天很安靜啊 |
[1:20:28] | Are you sickening for something? | 你有什麼不舒服的地方嗎 |
[1:20:34] | Did you burn them? | 你把它們燒了嗎 |
[1:20:42] | Burn what, mother? | 燒什麼 媽媽 |
[1:20:43] | Burn the paintings? | 燒畫 |
[1:20:49] | No, mother, no. | 不 媽媽 沒有 |
[1:20:50] | I thought it best not to. | 我覺得最好還是不要 |
[1:20:55] | I didn’t want to ruin Mrs Stanhope’s washing. | 我不想毀了斯坦霍普太太的剛洗的衣服 |
[1:20:57] | Oh! That’s very wise. | 太聰明瞭 |
[1:21:00] | I’m very glad to hear it. | 我很高興你這麼做了 |
[1:21:08] | We should never upset our neighbours. | 我們永遠都不應該讓我們的鄰居爲難 |
[1:21:10] | We might need them one day. | 總有一天我們會需要他們的 |
[1:21:18] | I’ll put the paintings where they belong, | 我會把畫放回該放的地方 |
[1:21:20] | back in the attic there, later. | 放到閣樓去 等會就去 |
[1:21:25] | Hide them away. | 把它們藏起來 |
[1:21:28] | What do you intend for my painting? | 那我的畫你要怎麼辦 |
[1:21:35] | Your painting? | 你的什麼畫 |
[1:21:36] | ‘Sailing Boats.’ | “帆船” |
[1:21:42] | Well, I’ll get it back from the exhibition I suppose, | 我會去畫展把它拿回來的 |
[1:21:45] | I’ll just… | 我 |
[1:21:47] | Well, I’ll hang it back in the hall, I suppose. | 我大概會把它掛回大廳吧 |
[1:21:51] | Will you hang it in here? | 你能把它掛在這麼 |
[1:21:54] | On my bedroom wall. | 掛在我的臥室牆上 |
[1:21:59] | I might as well look at it while I lie here, | 這樣我躺在這的時候就可以看看它 |
[1:22:02] | don’t you think? | 不是嗎 |
[1:22:12] | Here mother, here’s your painting. | 來 媽媽 你的畫 |
[1:22:16] | My painting. | 我的畫 |
[1:22:19] | A gift of the past. | 對過去時光的紀念 |
[1:22:22] | We danced at the seaside together. | 我們在海邊共舞 |
[1:22:27] | On the promenade. | 在海濱大道上 |
[1:22:30] | – Lytham St. Annes. – Yes. | -萊薩姆聖安納斯 -對 |
[1:22:41] | Everything, everything is… | 一切 所有的一切都 |
[1:22:45] | captured. | 畫了下來 |
[1:22:48] | How beautiful you were, | 你曾是多麼可愛 |
[1:22:51] | and how blessed was I. | 我又是多麼的幸福 |
[1:22:57] | Life at the beginning held so much promise. | 一開始 生活總是充滿希望 |
[1:23:02] | A whiteness. | 那種潔白 |
[1:23:10] | Mother and son. | 母親與兒子 |
[1:23:23] | One day they’ll knock this house down | 總有一天這座房子會被拆掉 |
[1:23:25] | and no one will know we ever lived here. | 然後就再也沒有人知道我們曾住在這裏 |
[1:23:29] | Our whole existence will have been for nothing. | 我們的存在將化爲虛無 |
[1:23:33] | Look, can you see it, mother? | 看 你能看見嗎 媽媽 |
[1:23:35] | There. | 那裏 |
[1:23:36] | Everything is captured in the painting. | 一切都留在了畫中 |
[1:23:42] | Forever. | 永遠 |
[1:23:45] | Isn’t it? | 不是嗎 |
[1:23:52] | ‘Sailing Boats’. | “帆船” |
[1:23:56] | ‘Sailing Boats’. | “帆船” |
[1:24:36] | 2000年十月洛瑞藝術中心在索爾福德碼頭落成 以纪念L·S·洛瑞和他的作品 | |
[1:26:12] | I’m a man who paints. | 我只是個畫畫的 |
[1:26:15] | Nothing more, nothing less. | 僅此而已 |