英文名称:who are you charlie brown
年代:2021
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:15] | We have to write an essay? | 我们必须写篇作文吗 |
[00:18] | Five hundred words about who we are? | 五百字 关于”我们是谁”吗 |
[00:21] | I have no idea who I am. How am I gonna come up with 500 words? | 我不知道我是谁 怎么能写出五百字 |
[00:26] | That will take forever. | 这会花很长时间 |
[00:30] | Due in one week? Good grief. | 一周内交吗 真是的 |
[00:33] | I couldn’t be stuck with a worse subject: me. | 没有比”我”更糟的话题了 |
[00:38] | You worry too much, Charlie Brown. | 你担心的太多了 查理·布朗 |
[00:42] | Good ol’ Charlie Brown, | 老好人 查理·布朗 |
[00:45] | the lovable loser who never seems to catch a break. | 可爱的失败者 从没空喘口气 |
[00:49] | You’ve probably heard of him. You’ve definitely seen him. | 你可能听说过他 绝对见过他 |
[00:54] | He’s been everywhere. | 他无处不在 |
[00:56] | In newspapers and books, movies and TV. | 报刊和书籍 电影和电视 |
[00:56] | 《花生漫画》 老好人 查理·布朗 | |
[01:01] | He’s been all over the world and up in the air. | 他在全球已家喻户晓 还上过天 |
[01:05] | – He’s even been to the moon. – Good grief, Charlie Brown. | -甚至去过月球 -真是的 查理·布朗 |
[01:08] | It sort of feels like Charlie Brown, his dog, Snoopy, | 感觉好像查理·布朗 他的狗史努比 |
[01:12] | and the rest of the Peanuts Gang | 和其他花生小分队的角色 |
[01:13] | have pretty much always been around. | 几乎总是在身边 |
[01:16] | Linus, I always had a special feeling for. | 莱纳斯 我对他一直有特别的感情 |
[01:18] | My favorite character is Linus. | 我最喜欢的角色是莱纳斯 |
[01:20] | I’m a Woodstock fan. | 我是伍德斯托克的粉丝 |
[01:22] | It was amazing how much Franklin meant to me. | 富兰克林对我来说非常重要 |
[01:25] | My favorite Peanuts character is Peppermint Patty. | 我最喜欢的《花生漫画》角色是薄荷·派蒂 |
[01:28] | Yeah, and Snoopy. | 是的 还有史努比 |
[01:29] | Of course, I like Snoopy the best. | 当然 我最喜欢史努比 |
[01:31] | For 70 years, Peanuts has been part of our lives. | 七十年来 《花生漫画》已成为我们生活的一部分 |
[01:33] | 我有个 问题 | |
[01:33] | 好吧 什么问题 | |
[01:36] | Like, Peanuts is just its own planet. | 《花生漫画》就像个独立的星球 |
[01:38] | The audience is the world. | 观众就是全世界 |
[01:40] | It appeals to everyone, and that’s why | 它吸引了每个人 这就是为什么 |
[01:41] | it became this huge phenomenon. | 它成了全球风靡的角色 |
[01:44] | Peanuts may be a global icon, | 《花生漫画》也许已成为全球偶像 |
[01:47] | but at the center of it all is still good ol’ Charlie Brown. | 但它的核心依然是老好人查理·布朗 |
[01:51] | I love Peanuts, and I love Charlie Brown. | 我爱《花生漫画》 我爱查理·布朗 |
[01:54] | I love Charlie Brown. | 我爱查理·布朗 |
[01:56] | I related to Charlie Brown so much. | 我与查理·布朗感同身受 |
[01:59] | But who is Charlie Brown really? | 但查理·布朗到底是谁 |
[02:02] | And where did he come from? | 他来自哪里 |
[02:03] | Why would anybody care about who I am? | 为什么所有人都关心我是谁 |
[02:06] | I’m nobody special. | 我只是个无足轻重的小人物 |
[02:15] | “Who Are You, Charlie Brown?” | “你是谁 查理·布朗” |
[02:23] | Long before there was a boy named Charlie Brown, | 早在这个叫做查理·布朗的男孩出现前 |
[02:27] | there was a man named Charles Schulz | 有个叫做查尔斯·舒尔茨的男人 |
[02:29] | who had dreamed of being a cartoonist. | 他梦想成为一名漫画家 |
[02:32] | I always dreamed I’d have a comic strip. | 我一直梦想我会有部连环画 |
[02:34] | I think I’ve been dreaming about this thing | 我想从六岁起就一直 |
[02:36] | since I was about six years old. | 有这个梦想 |
[02:38] | Almost from the moment he was born, | 几乎从他出生那刻起 |
[02:40] | it seemed like Charles Schulz was destined to be in the comics. | 查尔斯·舒尔茨似乎就注定要从事漫画业 |
[02:44] | When he was a baby, | 当他还是婴儿时 |
[02:46] | one of his uncles called him Spark Plug, | 他的一位叔叔叫他”火花塞” |
[02:48] | which came from Spark Plug the horse, a comic strip character. | 这绰号来自小马”火花塞” 一部连环画里的角色 |
[02:52] | So, everybody called him Sparky. | 所以大家都叫他”史帕基” |
[02:55] | He was an only child, | 他是独生子 |
[02:57] | and he was the little kid that no one really talked to. | 是个没人可以交谈的小孩 |
[03:01] | He was so painfully shy | 他十分害羞 |
[03:02] | that when he and his mother | 当他和他母亲 |
[03:03] | would walk down the street in Saint Paul, | 漫步在圣保罗街头时 |
[03:06] | he’d walk with his head down. | 他会低着头走路 |
[03:07] | Shy little Sparky did so well in school | 害羞的小史帕基在学校成绩优秀 |
[03:10] | that he skipped a grade. | 所以跳了一级 |
[03:12] | But that really wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. | 但这真没所说的那么好 |
[03:14] | He was the youngest person in the room by a year, | 一整年里 他都是班里最小的孩子 |
[03:19] | which when you’re a kid is a big deal. | 这对一个孩子来说这是件大事 |
[03:21] | And it was hard to keep up with the older kids. | 而且跟上其他大点的孩子很困难 |
[03:25] | He was miserable. | 他当时很痛苦 |
[03:27] | He just felt as if he didn’t mean anything | 他感觉自己觉对学校里的 |
[03:29] | to the rest of the kids in school. | 其他孩子来说无足轻重 |
[03:31] | After school, Sparky liked to | 放学后 史帕基喜欢去 |
[03:33] | hang out in his father’s barbershop. | 他父亲的理发店玩 |
[03:36] | “When I’m real lonesome, I like to go to my dad’s barbershop. | “当我孤单时 喜欢去父亲的理发店 |
[03:40] | They always ask if I’ve come in for a shave.” | 他们总会问我是否是来刮胡子的” |
[03:44] | But even that had its downside. | 但即使这事也有缺点 |
[03:46] | When I used to go into the shop, and he’d be working on me, | 我通常会去店里 他会帮我剪头 |
[03:49] | the embarrassing thing about that was | 尴尬的事情是 |
[03:51] | maybe he’d be halfway through my haircut, | 或许他把我的头发剪到一半 |
[03:54] | and a real good customer would come in. | 一位真正的好主顾就进来了 |
[03:56] | And he would say, “Why don’t you just sit over there | 他会说 “要不你坐在那边 |
[03:59] | and wait for a little bit because I have to wait on this man.” | 等一小会 因为我得为这个人服务” |
[04:02] | It was so embarrassing to sit on the bench | 这实在太尴尬了 坐在椅子上 |
[04:04] | with just a half a haircut. | 顶着被剪了一半的头发 |
[04:06] | By the time he was in middle school, | 当他上中学后 |
[04:08] | even Sparky’s good grades were starting to slip, | 即使史帕基的好成绩已经开始下滑 |
[04:11] | and he felt like a total failure. | 他感觉像个彻头彻尾的失败者 |
[04:13] | I think it was in the eighth grade when the roof fell in. | 我想是在八年级时出的问题 |
[04:16] | I failed everything there was possible to fail. | 我所有课程都没及格 |
[04:19] | One place where Sparky found happiness | 只有一个地方能让史帕基找到快乐 |
[04:21] | was in his sketchbook. | 那就是他的素描本 |
[04:23] | He drew all the time, | 他整天都在画画 |
[04:24] | and he dreamed that someday he would draw comics | 梦想有一天自己画出的漫画可以像 |
[04:27] | like the ones he read in the newspaper. | 他读过报纸上的那些一样 |
[04:30] | We subscribed to two papers in Saint Paul, and on Saturday night, | 我们在圣保罗订了两份报纸 周六晚上 |
[04:33] | my dad would drive up to the local drugstore | 我爸会开车去当地药店 |
[04:35] | and buy the two Minneapolis papers | 买两份明尼亚波利斯市报纸 |
[04:37] | so we could get four comic sections to read. | 所以我们会有四份漫画版可以看 |
[04:41] | And that was what life was about to me. | 那对我来说就是生活的意义 |
[04:53] | Five hundred words about who I am. Who am I, Snoopy? | 五百字描述我是谁 我是谁 史努比 |
[04:58] | I’m the son of a barber. | 我是位理发师的儿子 |
[04:59] | I like baseball. I go to school. | 我喜欢棒球 我去上学 |
[05:03] | I just try to make it through the day. | 我只是努力得过且过 |
[05:05] | This assignment is impossible. | 这个任务不可能完成 |
[05:11] | You wouldn’t understand, Snoopy. | 你不会理解的 史努比 |
[05:13] | You never have to do anything difficult. | 你从来不必做任何困难的事 |
[05:15] | Sit, stay, roll over. | 坐 别动 打滚 |
[05:19] | A dog’s life is so simple. | 狗生如此简单 |
[06:32] | “Sparky Goes to War!” | “史帕基去打仗了” |
[06:36] | In 1942, Sparky was drafted into the army. | 1942年 史帕基应征入伍 |
[06:40] | “What happens when you get drafted?” | “当你被征召入伍后会发生什么” |
[06:43] | “They send you someplace.” | “他们会把你送去某个地方” |
[06:45] | “That’s what I was afraid of.” | “我就害怕这个” |
[06:52] | Leaving home was heartbreaking for Sparky. | 离开家令史帕基感到心碎 |
[06:55] | He was very close to his mother, | 他和他的妈妈关系很亲近 |
[06:57] | and she had been sick for a long time. | 她病了很久 |
[07:00] | Sparky was never told how ill his mother was. | 一直没人告诉史帕基他妈妈的病有多严重 |
[07:04] | And that she probably wasn’t going to make it. | 他不知道她可能会挺不过去 |
[07:09] | And he felt very left out | 因此他觉得自己 |
[07:12] | and isolated because of that. | 被忽略了 被排除在外 |
[07:15] | The night that I had to report back to Fort Snelling | 那晚我必须到明尼苏达州的斯内林堡报到 |
[07:19] | in Minnesota, she said, “I think we should say goodbye | 她说 “我们该说再见了 |
[07:21] | because we will probably never see each other again.” | 因为这可能是我们最后一次见面了” |
[07:25] | And off I went. | 然后我就走了 |
[07:27] | He would get very depressed, visibly shaken, | 一谈到母亲的去世 |
[07:30] | when he talked about the death of his mother. | 他的情绪就变得非常沮丧 身体颤抖 |
[07:31] | Really did reduce him to tears. | 一想到这件事他就会哭泣 |
[07:35] | It left him, probably, with something | 他这一生 |
[07:37] | that he thought about all his life. | 大概都在思考这件事 |
[07:42] | “It’s all very strange. | “这一切都很奇怪 |
[07:44] | You can be walking along, not thinking of anything in particular. | 你一个人走着 没有想什么特殊的事 |
[07:48] | Suddenly, you’re reminded of a lost love…” | 突然 你就想到了一份失去的爱…” |
[07:52] | Ten-hut! | 注意 立正 |
[07:54] | I don’t know how I ever survived those days though. | 我不知道自己是如何捱过那些日子的 |
[07:56] | It’s a long time ago, | 那是很久以前了 |
[07:57] | but those are some things that you just never forget. | 但我永远无法忘记 |
[08:10] | Young Sparky had never spent a single night away from home. | 年轻的史帕基之前从没在外留宿过 |
[08:14] | But during the war, | 但在战争期间 |
[08:15] | he traveled all the way to France and Germany. | 他远离家乡 去了法国和德国 |
[08:19] | Throughout his time in the service, | 在他服役期间 |
[08:21] | Sparky was often homesick and lonely, | 史帕基总是很想家 很孤独 |
[08:23] | so he drew pictures, just as he had when he was a kid. | 所以他就像小时候那样画画 |
[08:27] | He brought his sketchbook everywhere he went. | 他去哪里都把速写本带在身上 |
[08:30] | And when the war was over, he came home more determined than ever | 当战争结束 他回到家时 比从前更加坚定 |
[08:33] | to make it as a cartoonist. | 要成为一名漫画家 |
[08:40] | Big brother, I need help with my math homework. | 哥哥 帮我看看我的数学作业吧 |
[08:44] | Can’t you see I’m busy writing my essay? | 你看不到我正忙着写作文吗 |
[08:46] | What’s it about? | 是关于什么的 |
[08:48] | It’s about who I am. | 关于我是谁 |
[08:50] | Who you are? I’ll tell you who you are. | 你是谁 我来告诉你你是谁 |
[08:53] | You’re my big brother. | 你是我的哥哥 |
[08:54] | And you’re a lousy big brother | 如果你不帮我写数学作业 |
[08:56] | if you don’t help me with my math homework. | 你就是个糟糕的哥哥 |
[08:59] | Here, take a look at this. | 快 看这里 |
[09:02] | Good grief. | 真是的 |
[09:04] | Okay. If you have two apples, and I give you three more, | 好吧 如果你有两个苹果 我又给你三个 |
[09:09] | how many apples do you have? | 那么你一共有多少苹果 |
[09:12] | Who cares? | 管他呢 |
[09:13] | I’ve never eaten more than one apple at a time. | 我一次最多就吃一个苹果 |
[09:16] | And who’s handing out all these apples anyway? | 再说 谁来分发这些苹果 |
[09:20] | I guess my essay will have to wait until later. | 看来我的作文要晚些时候才能写好了 |
[09:27] | Sparky wanted to be a cartoonist more than anything. | 史帕基渴望成为漫画家的想法超越了一切 |
[09:32] | Just like Charlie Brown, he kept on trying. | 就像查理·布朗一样 他一直尝试 |
[09:35] | And just like Charlie Brown, he kept on failing. | 也正像查理·布朗一样 他一直失败 |
[09:40] | I would send in ten cartoons to The Saturday Evening Post. | 我给《星期六晚报》寄了十幅漫画 |
[09:41] | 美国 邮箱 | |
[09:43] | While they were out, I’d be working on my comic strip. | 寄出它们后 我就开始画连环画 |
[09:46] | And when I mailed in the comic strip, | 当我寄出连环画后 |
[09:47] | I’d be working on something else. | 我就再画些别的 |
[09:49] | Sparky was able to get a few of his cartoons published, | 史帕基的一些漫画出版了 |
[09:53] | but they didn’t have Charlie Brown or Snoopy in them yet. | 但那时查理·布朗或史努比还没有诞生 |
[09:56] | Now, you always think that the first sale you make | 你总会觉得 只要卖出去第一份 |
[09:59] | is gonna open up everything to you, but it doesn’t work that way. | 接下来就好办了 但现实并非如此 |
[10:02] | I sold two or three and then, suddenly, | 我卖了两三份 但突然间 |
[10:03] | I couldn’t sell any for months. | 我好几个月都卖不出去一份 |
[10:05] | For five years, Sparky tried and failed. | 五年来 史帕基不断尝试 又不断失败 |
[10:09] | And then he started to realize something. | 他开始明白了一些事情 |
[10:12] | He drew this comic strip called Li’l Folks, | 他开始绘制连环画《小伙伴们》 |
[10:15] | which featured a character called Charlie Brown | 他创作了一个叫做查理·布朗的角色 |
[10:17] | and featured a dog | 又创作了一只狗的卡通形象 |
[10:18] | that didn’t quite look like Snoopy but was close enough. | 和史努比不完全一致 但很相近了 |
[10:23] | I discovered, little by little, that when I drew little kids, | 我渐渐发现 我画的小孩漫画 |
[10:27] | these seemed to be the type of cartoons | 这种类型是编辑们 |
[10:29] | that editors liked the best. | 最喜欢的漫画 |
[10:31] | His work was finally starting to catch on. | 他的作品终于开始得到认可 |
[10:34] | And one day in 1950, | 在1950年的一天 |
[10:36] | Sparky published his first Peanuts comic strip. | 史帕基第一次出版了连环画《花生漫画》 |
[10:40] | The first strip that ever appeared showed three characters. | 第一期连环画里有三个角色 |
[10:44] | One of them was a little girl named Patty, | 其中有一个叫做派蒂的小女孩 |
[10:46] | and another was a little boy named Shermy. | 还有一个叫做雪米的小男孩 |
[10:49] | And Charlie Brown was in the strip, | 查理·布朗也在连环画中 |
[10:51] | and he came walking by in front of them. | 他在他们面前走过 |
[10:53] | There he is. There goes Charlie Brown. | 他来了 查理·布朗来了 |
[10:55] | “Good ol’ Charlie Brown.” | “老好人查理·布朗” |
[10:57] | Then as soon as he’s gone, he’s like, “Boy, how I hate him.” | 而他一走 雪米就说 “我太讨厌他了” |
[11:00] | Like, it’s so– | 这实在是 |
[11:03] | That’s harsh, right? | 太残忍了 是吧 |
[11:05] | But that’s childhood. | 但童年就是如此 |
[11:07] | Kids are rough. It’s like the way kids treat each other | 孩子很粗暴 孩子们对待彼此的方式 |
[11:11] | is what sort of helps inform you to build up your armor. | 告诉你要建立起自己的盔甲 |
[11:16] | And then you have to spend the rest of your life | 然后你就要花上余生 |
[11:18] | remembering to take off the armor. | 来卸下这副盔甲 |
[11:20] | Before long, people all over America | 不久之后 全美的观众 |
[11:23] | were falling in love with good ol’ Charlie Brown. | 都爱上了老好人查理·布朗 |
[11:26] | Here’s a character I can relate to | 我能和这个角色产生共鸣 |
[11:28] | who’s clearly as nerdy or just as not accepted as I am, or as I feel. | 我也是个怪胎 我和我的感受并不被接受 |
[11:35] | That was a huge thing. | 这很重要 |
[11:37] | We would see Charlie Brown being bullied. | 我们会看到查理·布朗被霸凌 |
[11:40] | You’d root for Charlie Brown because he was so painfully human. | 你会支持查理·布朗 因为他受了很多伤害 |
[11:45] | He keeps going even when it gets tough. | 即使前路困难 他还是会不断前进 |
[11:47] | He gets right back up and tries again. | 他会重新振作 再次尝试 |
[11:49] | So that’s, like, really cool to me. | 我觉得这样真的很棒 |
[11:51] | Sparky’s dream was finally coming true, | 史帕基的梦想终于成真 |
[11:54] | and he did it by just being himself. | 他通过做自己 实现了梦想 |
[11:57] | This whole business about Charlie Brown. | 这一切都与查理·布朗有关 |
[11:59] | These are memories of my own miserable days. | 这是关于我悲惨岁月的记忆 |
[11:59] | 《花生漫画》我今天不能去 露西 当经理我还不够格 我很害怕 | |
[11:59] | 害怕 为什么 你真是个傻瓜 | |
[12:02] | I think Charlie Brown is just a little bit | 我认为查理·布朗和每个人内心的自己 |
[12:04] | of what all of us have inside of us. | 都有一点相似 |
[12:08] | Mainly me. Mainly, I’m Charlie Brown. | 主要是我 我就是查理·布朗本人 |
[12:17] | Linus, | 莱纳斯 |
[12:18] | how am I supposed to come up with 500 words about myself? | 我要怎么凑出五百字的关于自我的作文呢 |
[12:22] | There’s nothing about me that’s worth writing down. | 我没有什么值得写的东西 |
[12:25] | This assignment is actually a great opportunity for you, | 这项作业对你来说也许是个好机会 |
[12:28] | Charlie Brown. | 查理·布朗 |
[12:29] | An opportunity for what? | 什么机会 |
[12:31] | It’s a chance to ask yourself | 这是一个让你扪心自问 |
[12:33] | some of life’s most essential questions. | 关于生命本质问题的机会 |
[12:36] | Who am I? Why am I here? | 我是谁 我为什么在这里 |
[12:38] | What is my purpose in the world? | 我在世界上的意义是什么 |
[12:40] | Good grief. How am I supposed to figure out all of that? | 真是的 我怎么可能解决那些问题 |
[12:44] | Well, Charlie Brown, when I’m faced with difficult questions, | 查理·布朗 当我面对困难问题时 |
[12:48] | I look to the great minds of history. | 我会去向历史伟人们寻求帮助 |
[12:50] | The Spanish novelist Miguel de Cervantes once wrote, | 西班牙小说家米格尔·德·塞万提斯曾写道 |
[12:54] | “Tell me what company you keep, | “告诉我你结交什么样的人 |
[12:56] | and I’ll tell you what you are.” | 我就会告诉你 你是什么样的人” |
[12:59] | What company I keep? What does that mean? | 我结交什么样的人 那是什么意思 |
[13:03] | It means you should look to your friends, Charlie Brown. | 意思是你应该问问你的朋友 查理·布朗 |
[13:05] | The people you spend your time with. Maybe they can help. | 和你经常在一起的人 也许他们可以帮到你 |
[13:09] | I don’t know, Linus. It seems impossible. | 我说不好 莱纳斯 感觉不太可能 |
[13:13] | Cheer up, Charlie Brown. | 打起精神来 查理·布朗 |
[13:15] | You have a whole week to find the answers | 你有整整一周时间来找到 |
[13:17] | to life’s most fundamental questions. | 生命最基本问题的答案 |
[13:23] | Sparky always said he was a lot like Charlie Brown, | 史帕基总是说他和查理·布朗很像 |
[13:26] | but there’s actually a bit of Sparky | 但实际上史帕基的一部分 |
[13:28] | in almost all the Peanuts characters. | 融入到了《花生漫画》的所有角色中 |
[13:32] | He was exactly the person | 他就是你想象中的 |
[13:34] | you would hope the creator of Peanuts would be. | 《花生漫画》的创始人 |
[13:37] | He is sort of all his characters in one person. | 他就像所有笔下人物的集合体 |
[13:40] | Linus is the philosophical part of Mr. Schulz. | 莱纳斯代表了舒尔茨先生哲学的一面 |
[13:43] | You know, has the philosophy, has something to say. | 拥有哲学思维 有话要说 |
[13:46] | He’s quietly philosophical. That’s kinda what Sparky was like. | 他哲学的一面不易被人察觉 就和史帕基一样 |
[13:49] | Linus is always asking these bigger questions about | 莱纳斯总是在问一些更宏大的问题 |
[13:53] | the meaning of life and our place in the universe | 关于人生的意义 我们在宇宙中的位置 |
[13:56] | and how it all fits together. | 以及他们之间的联系 |
[13:58] | “Life is difficult, isn’t it, Charlie Brown?” | “人生很艰难 不是吗 查理·布朗” |
[14:01] | I think I related to Linus because of– | 我认为我和莱纳斯有共鸣 因为 |
[14:04] | Well, I had a security blanket. | 我也有一条安全毛毯 |
[14:06] | I used to, like, also carry around a blue blanket, | 我以前也随身带着一条蓝色毛毯 |
[14:09] | so I just really relate to him. | 所以我很感同身受 |
[14:12] | I, too, had a blankie. | 我也有一条毛毯 |
[14:15] | And I used to stand in front of the washer-dryer | 我以前曾经站在我妈妈去的 |
[14:18] | at the Laundromat my mom went to, | 自动洗衣店的洗衣烘干机前 |
[14:20] | crying on the wash cycle, and then crying on the dryer cycle. | 对着洗涤和烘干大哭 |
[14:25] | And so everybody called me Linus. | 所以大家都叫我莱纳斯 |
[14:29] | Linus can be very smart. He can be dumb. | 莱纳斯有时候很聪明 有时候很笨 |
[14:31] | He can be innocent. He can be all-knowing. | 有时候很天真 有时候也无所不知 |
[14:34] | The nature of his personality | 他的性格本质 |
[14:35] | lends himself to all sorts of ideas. | 引领他产生许多不同的想法 |
[14:38] | Linus and Charlie Brown | 莱纳斯和查理·布朗 |
[14:40] | showed the sweet side of Sparky’s personality. | 表现出了史帕基性格中温柔的一面 |
[14:43] | Linus’s big sister, Lucy, on the other hand… | 然而 莱纳斯的姐姐露西… |
[14:46] | Lucy’s really mean. | 露西真的很刻薄 |
[14:48] | “You’re a very boring person, Charlie Brown.” | “你是一个无聊透顶的人 查理·布朗” |
[14:51] | And loud and kind of scary. | 吵闹 还令人害怕 |
[14:54] | Lucy is funny, but she’s really mean. | 露西很有趣 但她也真的很刻薄 |
[14:57] | Most of us don’t like Lucy ’cause she’s so mean. | 大部分人都不喜欢露西因为她的刻薄 |
[15:00] | But at the same time, | 但与此同时 |
[15:01] | she’s so over-the-top mean that it’s kinda funny. | 她过于夸张的刻薄又看起来十分有趣 |
[15:05] | Everybody knows what Lucy with the football means. | 每个人都知道拿橄榄球的露西是什么意思 |
[15:08] | Charlie Brown’s, like, running, and Lucy pulls away the football, | 查理·布朗正在狂奔 然后露西把球拿走 |
[15:11] | and he screams and he falls on his back. | 然后他大喊一声 摔个四脚朝天 |
[15:14] | Classic. | 太经典了 |
[15:18] | Which of the characters do I feel in closest sympathy with? | 哪个角色我最能感同身受 |
[15:21] | I like them all because each one is probably a little bit of myself. | 我都喜欢 因为他们每个人都像是我的一部分 |
[15:24] | The sarcastic part of me belongs to Lucy. | 露西就像是我嘲讽挖苦别人的一面 |
[15:27] | The wishy-washy part of me belongs to Charlie Brown. | 我优柔寡断的一面则像查理·布朗 |
[15:30] | And the dreamer belongs, of course, to Snoopy. | 而梦想家的一面自然就属于史努比了 |
[15:36] | Snoopy. | 史努比 |
[15:38] | While Charlie Brown and the other kids | 如果说查理·布朗和其他孩子们 |
[15:40] | were a bit like Sparky himself, | 有点像史帕基本人的话 |
[15:42] | the sky was the limit with Snoopy. | 天空便是史努比的极限 |
[15:45] | Snoopy was a dog who refused to be a dog, | 史努比是一只拒绝承认自己身份的狗 |
[15:48] | and he was very aspirational, right? | 他有着非常远大的抱负 是吧 |
[15:51] | Oh, my God. I love Snoopy. He’s so cute and so funny. | 天哪 我爱死史努比了 他既可爱又有趣 |
[15:56] | Everyone loves Snoopy because he represented | 每个人都爱史努比 因为他代表了 |
[15:58] | what I think we all wanted to be. | 我认为我们都想成为的样子 |
[16:00] | You go, “Okay, today, I’m pretending | 就好像 “今天我假装 |
[16:02] | I’m a World War flying ace. | 是一名世界大战中的王牌飞行员 |
[16:03] | Tomorrow, I’m pretending I’m a movie star.” Whatever it is. | 明天我就装成一名电影明星” 之类的 |
[16:06] | Snoopy kinda lives his own life and has all these fantasies. | 史努比活在自己的世界中 有着许多幻想 |
[16:10] | But even Snoopy came from someplace in Sparky’s life that was real. | 但其实史努比也源于史帕基的真实生活 |
[16:13] | Snoopy really is based upon a dog that I had | 史努比的原型是我十三岁时 |
[16:17] | when I was about 13 years old. | 养的一只狗 |
[16:18] | There’s a reason Snoopy played hockey and ice-skated, | 为什么史努比会打曲棍球会滑冰呢 |
[16:20] | ’cause Schulz did as well. | 因为舒尔茨也会 |
[16:22] | So, like all the best creators, | 就像所有优秀的创作者一样 |
[16:24] | there’s a lot of himself in the work, | 他将自己融入了作品之中 |
[16:27] | that you can kind of see in what the characters speak about | 你能从他笔下角色的言谈和他们的爱好中 |
[16:30] | and the things they’re also fans of. | 看到创作者的影子 |
[16:41] | I’ve gotta get a good grade on this essay. | 这篇作文我必须拿高分 |
[16:45] | Maybe I should talk to a professional. | 也许我应该找专业人士帮忙 |
[16:50] | Hi, Charlie Brown. What seems to be the problem today? | 你好 查理·布朗 有什么问题吗 |
[16:54] | I’m having trouble writing my essay for class, Lucy. | 课上布置的作文我写不出来 露西 |
[16:57] | Can you help? | 你能帮忙吗 |
[16:58] | Absolutely. I’ve actually thought a lot | 当然能 我能想到很多 |
[17:01] | about you and your imperfections. | 关于你和你的缺点 |
[17:03] | My imperfections? I’m not sure that is going to help with my– | 我的缺点 我不确定这能帮我 |
[17:06] | Listen, Charlie Brown. | 听着 查理·布朗 |
[17:08] | There’s no better way to learn who you are | 认识自己最好的方式 |
[17:09] | than to have your many faults pointed out by a professional. | 就是由专业人士点出你的众多缺点 |
[17:13] | My many faults? | 我的众多缺点 |
[17:14] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[17:15] | And I’ve created a proprietary system | 我创立了一套专有系统 |
[17:17] | that I think you’ll find very enlightening. | 我认为你会从中受益匪浅 |
[17:23] | Make yourself comfortable, Charlie Brown. | 别客气 查理·布朗 |
[17:25] | I’ve prepared a few hundred slides | 我准备了几百张投影片 |
[17:27] | to illustrate your many flaws and foibles. | 来阐述你的众多弱点和短处 |
[17:31] | Lights, please. | 请关灯 |
[17:42] | Let’s start with your early years. | 让我们从你的早年经历开始 |
[17:44] | 老好人查理·布朗 是 先生 | |
[17:45] | As you can see, from the very beginning, | 正如你所见 从一开始 |
[17:48] | you were not well-liked. | 你就不受人喜欢 |
[17:51] | Popularity eluded you. | 你跟”讨喜”不沾边 |
[17:55] | You never really measured up to your peers. | 你跟同龄人从来都不同调 |
[17:58] | See? | 看到没 |
[18:00] | Now, pay attention. | 现在注意看 |
[18:03] | If we dig deeper, we’ll see that a pattern emerges, | 如果我们再深入挖掘 就会发现规律 |
[18:06] | a pattern of repeated failure. | 不断失败的规律 |
[18:12] | Under your management, | 在你的管理下 |
[18:13] | your baseball team has lost every game you’ve ever played. | 你参加过的每一场棒球比赛 你的队伍都输了 |
[18:17] | Well, we’ve won a few times. | 我们还是赢过几次的 |
[18:20] | Yes, but that was only when you broke your arm. | 是的 但也只是在你摔断胳膊的时候 |
[18:25] | Continuing with the sports theme, | 继续聊体育的事 |
[18:28] | you’ve never managed to kick a football, ever. | 你从来就没踢到过橄榄球 从来没有 |
[18:33] | See? | 看到没 |
[18:35] | Even when you’re not playing a team sport, you still fail. | 即使不是团队运动 你还是会失败 |
[18:41] | You fail alone and with others. | 你自己也是输 组队还是输 |
[18:44] | Now, let’s take a look at Valentine’s Day. | 现在 我们再来看看情人节 |
[18:50] | Enough! I can’t take it anymore. | 够了 我再也受不了了 |
[18:56] | I hope I helped with your essay! | 希望我对你写作文有所帮助 |
[18:59] | Expect an itemized bill in a few days! | 几天内我要看到明细账单 |
[19:03] | Failure, failure, failure. | 失败 失败 失败 |
[19:09] | Sparky got most of his ideas | 史帕基对查理·布朗的灵感 |
[19:10] | for Charlie Brown from his own childhood. | 大都来源于他自己的童年 |
[19:14] | But once he had kids of his own, | 但等他有了自己的孩子 |
[19:16] | their childhoods started to make their way into Peanuts. | 他们的童年渐渐融入了《花生漫画》 |
[19:20] | I think I probably get more ideas from watching my own kids | 我觉得我从观察自己的孩子所冒出的灵感 |
[19:24] | than I probably really would like to admit. | 可能多到我自己都不愿意承认 |
[19:28] | Just watching the little arguments | 只是看着他们小打小闹 |
[19:30] | that they go through and this sort of thing | 等等类似的事情 |
[19:32] | has given me quite a few ideas. | 就给了我不少灵感 |
[19:34] | The only stuff that really resonates in entertainment, I feel, | 我觉得唯一能在娱乐界引起共鸣的 |
[19:38] | is when it’s coming from a very singular point of view. | 就是从一个非常独特的角度切入 |
[19:42] | And the only point of view | 而创作者所有的唯一角度 |
[19:44] | any creator has is his or her own point of view. | 就是他们自己的视角 |
[19:47] | Even as a kid, I was, like, cognizant of the fact that | 我小时候就想到过 |
[19:51] | there is a man somewhere in America | 在美国某个地方 有一个人 |
[19:54] | who sits at a large slanted desk, and he’s got a wife and kids. | 他坐在一张大斜桌前 他有老婆孩子 |
[19:59] | And he gets up, he draws Snoopy, and then he goes ice-skating. | 他站起来 画出了史努比 然后去滑冰 |
[20:01] | One of the boys was making model airplanes, | 其中一个男孩在做飞机模型 |
[20:04] | and he was showing me the latest model. | 他给我看了最新的模型 |
[20:06] | And all of a sudden, it occurred to me, | 突然间 我就想到 |
[20:08] | why not put Snoopy on the doghouse | 为什么不让史努比坐在狗窝上 |
[20:09] | and let him pretend he’s a World War I flying ace? | 假装自己是一战的王牌飞行员呢 |
[20:12] | He was listening to Craig, his other son, one day, | 有一天他在听另一个儿子克雷格说话 |
[20:16] | and a young man walked by, and Craig said, | 一个年轻人路过 克雷格说 |
[20:19] | “That guy acts like Joe Cool.” | “那家伙有乔·酷尔的范儿” |
[20:20] | Joe Cool started. | 于是就有了乔·酷尔的戏份 |
[20:23] | Everything in the comic strip had something personal to Sparky. | 连环画里的一切都和史帕基有私人联系 |
[20:27] | If he wrote about a symphony that Schroeder was playing, | 如果他写了一段史洛德演奏的交响乐 |
[20:32] | that was a symphony that he loved. | 那是他所喜欢的交响乐 |
[20:34] | He took a lot from his life. | 他从生活中汲取了许多灵感 |
[20:36] | You always wondered what | 只要他在你身边 |
[20:37] | he was observing if you were ever around him. | 你就总会想 他是不是在观察你 |
[20:39] | I remember I called him my sweet babboo. | 我记得我叫过他”我的甜心宝贝” |
[20:42] | Pretty soon it was in the comic strip… | 这个词很快就出现在了连环画里 |
[20:44] | “And this is a very special one for my ‘sweet babboo.'” | “这首特别的歌献给我的甜心宝贝” |
[20:48] | …and became something that Sally tormented Linus with. | …成为莎莉折磨莱纳斯的口头禅 |
[20:53] | “I’m not your sweet babboo.” | “我不是你的甜心宝贝” |
[20:56] | “Pigpen.” What does that phrase mean to you? | “乒乓” 这个词对你来说有什么意义吗 |
[20:58] | “Pigpen” came from a friend of mine | 乒乓 是我一个朋友说的 |
[21:01] | who used to call his children by funny names. | 他总会用奇怪的名字叫他的孩子们 |
[21:04] | And I can remember, | 我记得 |
[21:04] | his little boy was running around the living room, | 他的小儿子在客厅里跑来跑去 |
[21:06] | and he says, “Go to bed, Pigpen.” | 他说 “去睡觉吧 乒乓” |
[21:08] | And I thought that would make a good title for a comic character. | 我觉得这个名字很适合漫画人物 |
[21:11] | Here’s this character | 这个角色 |
[21:12] | who seems like he should be a laughingstock. | 他似乎天生就是个笑柄 |
[21:15] | And occasionally other characters, | 时不时地 其他角色 |
[21:16] | they come over to Pigpen and they say, | 也会来对乒乓说 |
[21:18] | “You should be ashamed of yourself.” | “你应该为自己感到羞耻” |
[21:20] | “You know what he looks like?” “What?” | “-你知道他像什么吗 -什么” |
[21:24] | “A human soil bank.” | “人形土块” |
[21:26] | And he’ll have none of it. There’s this dignity to Pigpen. | 而他从不逆来顺受 乒乓是有尊严的 |
[21:30] | As a young transgendered kid, | 作为一名从小就变性的儿童 |
[21:32] | I think maybe that’s a thing that I was drawn to. | 我想这可能就是吸引我的原因 |
[21:45] | Lucy sure wasn’t very helpful. | 露西肯定是帮不上什么忙了 |
[21:48] | I think I need a second opinion. | 我觉得我需要听听别人的意见 |
[21:51] | Ninety-seven, 98, 99, 100. | 九十七 九十八 九十九 一百 |
[21:56] | My turn. | 轮到我了 |
[22:02] | Pigpen! | 乒乓 |
[22:05] | You’re making a mess. | 你弄得一团糟 |
[22:25] | Hi, Charlie Brown. Do you wanna help me make mud pies? | 你好 查理·布朗 你想帮我做泥巴派吗 |
[22:28] | I don’t think I can, Pigpen. | 我想不行 乒乓 |
[22:31] | I have to work on a school project. | 我得做学校的作业 |
[22:33] | Hey! Come jump rope with us! | 来跟我们一起跳绳吧 |
[22:36] | Oh, no. That little red-haired girl is coming. | 不 那个红发女孩要来了 |
[22:41] | What’s the matter, Charlie Brown? | 怎么了 查理·布朗 |
[22:43] | – I can’t let her see me. – Why not? | -我不能让她看到我 -为什么 |
[22:47] | What if she doesn’t like what she sees? | 如果她不喜欢她所看到的呢 |
[22:49] | I think what’s more important is how you see yourself. | 我觉得更重要的是你如何看待自己 |
[22:53] | I like myself no matter what people think. | 不管别人怎么想 我都喜欢我自己 |
[22:56] | Really? Even if they think you’re… filthy? | 真的吗 即使他们认为你…很脏吗 |
[23:01] | Well, I don’t see myself as filthy. | 我可不觉得自己脏 |
[23:03] | I see myself as a part of history, | 我认为自己是历史的一部分 |
[23:06] | covered with the dust and dirt of countless ages. | 被无数时代的尘土所覆盖 |
[23:09] | Guess I just don’t have your confidence, Pigpen. | 我想我没你那么自信 乒乓 |
[23:13] | I better go before the little red-haired girl sees me. | 我最好在那个红发女孩看到我之前离开 |
[23:18] | Poor Charlie Brown. | 可怜的查理·布朗 |
[23:27] | Just like Charlie Brown, | 就像查理·布朗一样 |
[23:29] | in real life, Sparky had his own little red-haired girl. | 在现实生活中 史帕基也有个红发女孩 |
[23:33] | As a young man, Sparky met Donna Wold, | 年轻的时候 史帕基遇到了多娜·沃尔德 |
[23:36] | the little red-headed girl, | 那个红发女孩 |
[23:38] | 给你 红发女孩 这封情书是给你的 希望你能像我喜欢你一样喜欢它 | |
[23:38] | and fell head over heels in love with her. | 并深深地爱上了她 |
[23:41] | And Donna was engaged to marry a fireman, | 当时多娜和一名消防员订婚了 |
[23:45] | and she wasn’t sure about this fireman. | 她对嫁给这名消防员心存疑虑 |
[23:49] | And she broke up with him, and she went out with Sparky. | 于是就和他分手 跟史帕基约会了 |
[23:54] | I had the high hopes that she would marry me. | 我非常希望她能嫁给我 |
[23:59] | But she didn’t. | 但她没有 |
[24:00] | I think that he thought, “Well, if I work hard enough, | 我想他是想 “如果我足够努力” |
[24:04] | if I’m this and I’m that and– | “如果我这样做 如果我那样做” |
[24:06] | She’ll forget the fireman and stick with me.” | “她就会忘记消防员 和我在一起了” |
[24:09] | But, nope, she made up her mind and she married the fireman. | 但没有 她最终决定嫁给消防员 |
[24:12] | I gave her my complete devotion, my heart, | 我为她奉献了全部的热情和真心 |
[24:16] | and she walked away. | 她却转身离开了 |
[24:19] | I didn’t deal with it very well. I dreamed about it for years. | 对此我悲痛欲绝 好多年我都会梦到这件事 |
[24:24] | That was the woman he wanted to marry. | 那是他想娶的女人 |
[24:27] | This story is so Charlie Brown. | 这个故事非常查理·布朗 |
[24:37] | Charlie Brown wasn’t the only one in the Peanuts Gang | 查理·布朗不是花生小分队中唯一 |
[24:39] | who was unlucky in love. | 在爱情中不走运的人 |
[24:41] | Peanuts, it’s a world of unrequited love. | 《花生漫画》就是个单相思的世界 |
[24:45] | Lucy pines for Schroeder. | 露西喜欢史洛德 |
[24:47] | That always cracked me up, ’cause he was always like, “No.” | 那总能让我捧腹 因为他总说”不” |
[24:52] | Sally wants Linus. | 莎莉喜欢莱纳斯 |
[24:53] | At one point, | 有段时间 |
[24:54] | Peppermint Patty actually sort of wants Charlie Brown. | 薄荷·派蒂有点喜欢查理·布朗 |
[24:56] | So it’s like this unbroken chain of these children | 所以这就像是这群充满爱的 |
[25:00] | whose hearts are full of love, | 孩子间的爱情链 |
[25:03] | and the love is… almost never returned. | 但这份爱…从未收到回报 |
[25:08] | His constant quest for the little red-haired girl | 他对红发女孩持之以恒的追求 |
[25:10] | was just such a– so relatable to me, | 非常…我非常感同身受 |
[25:13] | because I always had some monster crush | 因为我一直超级暗恋 |
[25:16] | on some girl in the school | 学校的一个女孩 |
[25:17] | who I never had the nerve to even go near. | 可我连靠近她的勇气都没有 |
[25:21] | And there’s a lot of like, | 漫画中有很多 |
[25:22] | “Today’s gonna be the day when I’m gonna get in there | “今天我终于要鼓起勇气 走过去 |
[25:24] | and I’m gonna finally talk to that little red-haired girl.” | 和红发女孩交谈了” |
[25:26] | “Today’s gonna be the day.” And then it never ever comes. | “就是今天” 然后那天从没到来 |
[25:50] | You’re so talented, Schroeder. | 你真有才华 史洛德 |
[25:52] | Do you think your music is the reason people like you? | 你觉得你的音乐是别人喜欢你的原因吗 |
[25:57] | That may be true, Charlie Brown, but it’s sort of ironic, | 可能确实如此 查理·布朗 但这有些讽刺 |
[26:00] | since one of the things I like most | 因为我喜欢弹琴的 |
[26:02] | about playing music is the solitude. | 原因之一是能享受独处 |
[26:10] | It’s like your music represents who you are. | 你的音乐似乎能表现你的为人 |
[26:13] | I wonder what music would represent who I am. | 不知什么样的音乐能表现我 |
[26:26] | How’s your essay coming along, Charlie Brown? | 你的作文写的怎么样了 查理·布朗 |
[26:28] | Did my slideshow help? | 我的投影片帮忙了吗 |
[26:33] | Hi, Schroeder. Did you miss me? | 史洛德 你想我了吗 |
[26:48] | Over the years, Peanuts grew and changed just like Sparky did. | 多年来 《花生漫画》和史帕基一同成长变化 |
[26:53] | And it wasn’t always just about being funny. | 而且漫画的主旨也并不只是为了搞笑 |
[26:56] | My own children grew up, | 我自己的孩子长大了 |
[26:57] | the strip became really less kid-oriented. | 连环画变得不那么面向儿童 |
[27:00] | The strip has become more abstract, | 而是变得更加抽象 |
[27:02] | and the kids are really just caricatures of what adults are | 孩子其实真的就是大人的漫画形式 |
[27:06] | and the problems that adults have | 夸张地表述了大人的问题 |
[27:07] | and the things that adults really say. | 和大人在实际生活中说的话 |
[27:11] | It’s a cute little cartoon, funny characters, funny moments. | 这是个可爱的漫画 有趣的角色 逗乐的瞬间 |
[27:14] | But it also is kind of deeper. | 但它的内涵也很深刻 |
[27:17] | The characters are so complex, | 漫画角色都很复杂 |
[27:19] | and they’re talking about human feelings | 他们会谈论人的感受 |
[27:21] | and emotions, you know, the human condition. | 情绪 人类的境况 |
[27:25] | I think he was one of the best | 我觉得要说捕捉情感 |
[27:29] | when it came to capturing the mood. | 他绝对是数一数二的 |
[27:32] | He captured the mood of the country. | 他捕捉到了整个国家的情感 |
[27:35] | I feel like he always was | 我感觉他一直 |
[27:37] | searching for the truth and telling the truth. | 在寻觅真相 并讲述真相 |
[27:39] | Sparky wanted the world to be equal for everyone, | 史帕基想让世界对所有人公平 |
[27:42] | and that’s what his truth is. | 这就是他的真相 |
[27:51] | an independent girl living with a single parent, | 一个独立女孩 生活在单亲家庭中 |
[27:54] | who broke her school dress code by wearing sandals and shorts. | 她违反了校规 穿着拖鞋和短裤来学校 |
[27:59] | She was so different. | 她那么与众不同 |
[28:01] | She was not the stereotypical female character | 她不是漫画中常出现的 |
[28:03] | you would see on the comics page. | 带刻板印象的女性角色 |
[28:05] | She’s totally her own person. | 她非常我行我素 |
[28:07] | She’s just, like, so unique, and she’s comfortable being unique | 她个性独特 而且她喜欢独特 |
[28:10] | and in her own skin. | 特立独行 |
[28:13] | Peppermint Patty gets terrible grades. | 薄荷·派蒂成绩很差 |
[28:15] | She’s always falling asleep in class. | 她总在课上打瞌睡 |
[28:19] | But she’s a great pitcher. | 但她是个绝佳的投手 |
[28:20] | And she beats Chuck’s baseball team every time. | 而且她每次都打败查克的棒球队 |
[28:24] | Sometimes by, like, you know, 100-1. | 有时甚至比分为100比1 |
[28:28] | Sports-loving Peppermint Patty | 爱运动的薄荷·派蒂 |
[28:30] | was partially inspired by Sparky’s friend, Billie Jean King, | 部分是受史帕基的朋友 比莉·简·金启发 |
[28:33] | one of the greatest tennis players of all time. | 史上最优秀的网球选手之一 |
[28:37] | You saw the women, the girls in sports, | 当你看到女性 女孩运动时 |
[28:40] | which of course, as a girl, I’m like, “That’s great.” | 当然 作为女性 我会认为”这太棒了” |
[28:43] | Sparky was really a feminist. | 史帕基是真正的女权主义者 |
[28:45] | In the world of Peanuts, | 在《花生漫画》的世界里 |
[28:46] | Sparky always made sure that the girls were just as strong, | 史帕基总是确保女孩与男孩一样强壮 |
[28:50] | and often even stronger than the boys. | 通常甚至更加强壮 |
[28:52] | The comic strips really have mirrored our culture. | 连环画毫无疑问映照了我们的文化 |
[28:55] | And it just may be that Peppermint Patty | 而且很可能薄荷·派蒂 |
[28:58] | does represent a new trend among kids | 代表了孩子中的新风尚 |
[29:01] | to be more independent and to speak out. | 个性更独立 更勇于发言 |
[29:03] | “Here I come, fella! Stop me if you can!” | “我来了 伙计 有本事就阻止我” |
[29:41] | Yeah! | 棒 |
[29:45] | Yes! | 太好了 |
[29:53] | Good game, Chuck. | 比赛打得漂亮 查克 |
[29:54] | But you looked a little distracted up here. | 但你刚才看着有些分心 |
[29:57] | I’m surprised your team’s manager didn’t pull you off the mound. | 我很意外你的队伍经理还让你投球 |
[30:00] | He is their manager, sir. | 他就是经理 先生 |
[30:02] | Are you okay, Charlie Brown? | 你还好吗 查理·布朗 |
[30:04] | It’s this homework assignment. | 是因为家庭作业 |
[30:06] | I have to figure out the meaning of my life. | 我得搞清楚自己生命的意义 |
[30:09] | Boy, Chuck, that is a tall order. | 天呐 查克 那太难了 |
[30:12] | I sure am glad our teacher didn’t give us any homework. | 我真高兴我们的老师没给我们留作业 |
[30:15] | We’ve had homework every day this week, sir. | 我们这周每天都有作业 先生 |
[30:19] | The meaning of life is | 生命的意义是 |
[30:20] | something people have always wondered about, | 所有人都在思索的问题 |
[30:22] | Charlie Brown. | 查理·布朗 |
[30:23] | My grandfather always said that our main purpose in life | 我爷爷总说我们生活的主要意义 |
[30:26] | is to give and receive love. | 就是爱与被爱 |
[30:30] | He also used to sigh a lot. | 他也经常叹气 |
[30:34] | I don’t know if anyone could ever love me. | 我不知道是否有人会爱我 |
[30:36] | I asked Lucy for help, | 我之前找露西帮忙了 |
[30:38] | but all she did was tell me what’s wrong with me. | 但她只说了我的缺点 |
[30:41] | Is there anything right with me? | 我就没有优点吗 |
[30:43] | Absolutely, Chuck. You’ve got plenty of good qualities. | 当然有 查克 你有很多优秀品质 |
[30:47] | I do? Like what, for example? | 真的 比如什么 给我举个例子 |
[30:55] | Well, you’re very kind. | 你很善良 |
[31:00] | And you’re generous. | 你也很大方 |
[31:02] | And don’t forget helpful. You’re super helpful, Chuck. | 别忘了爱帮忙 你非常爱帮忙 查克 |
[31:07] | Kind, generous and helpful. Thanks, guys! | 善良 大方和爱帮忙 谢谢 小伙伴 |
[31:11] | Hey, Lucy. Guess what? | 露西 知道吗 |
[31:13] | You were wrong. I’m kind, generous and helpful. | 你错了 我善良 大方还爱帮忙 |
[31:17] | Of course they would say that, Charlie Brown. | 他们当然会这么说 查理·布朗 |
[31:19] | You’re kind because your pitches were so easy to hit. | 你善良是因为你的投球很容易击中 |
[31:22] | You were generous to give them so many runs. | 你大方是因为你给他们好多全垒打 |
[31:24] | And you helped them win the game. | 而且你帮助了他们赢得比赛 |
[31:28] | You sound just like my grandfather, Charlie Brown. | 你这气叹的就像我爷爷 查理·布朗 |
[31:34] | Franklin Armstrong was one of the last major characters | 富兰克林·阿姆斯特朗是最后一位加入 |
[31:37] | to join the Peanuts Gang. | 花生小分队的主要角色 |
[31:39] | And when he arrived, he changed the comics forever. | 而他的出现 彻底改变了漫画 |
[31:43] | I was in eighth grade | 我八年级时 |
[31:45] | when Franklin made an appearance in Peanuts. | 富兰克林在《花生漫画》中出场了 |
[31:49] | And I remember thinking, “Wow.” Here was a Black character. | 我记得自己想着 哇 这是个黑人角色 |
[31:52] | Here was a Black kid. | 这是个黑人小孩 |
[31:53] | Here I am reading this comic strip, | 我看着这个连环画 |
[31:55] | and all of a sudden there’s a kid in there | 突然里面出现了一个小孩 |
[31:56] | that looks like me. | 长得跟我一样 |
[31:58] | It may not seem like a big deal today, but in 1968, | 现在来看这或许没什么 但在1968年 |
[32:03] | Black and white kids playing together | 黑人白人小孩在漫画中 |
[32:05] | in a comic strip was a huge deal. | 一起玩耍是个大事件 |
[32:08] | When he brought Franklin into the strip, it was 1968, | 他在连环画中引入富兰克林的那年是1968年 |
[32:12] | and the cities were burning | 那时城市怒火中烧 |
[32:13] | because of Dr.King being assassinated. | 因为金博士刚被刺杀 |
[32:17] | Dr. Martin Luther King, | 马丁·路德·金博士 |
[32:18] | the apostle of nonviolence in the civil rights movement, | 民权运动中非暴力活动的倡导者 |
[32:21] | has been shot to death in Memphis, Tennessee. | 在田纳西州孟菲斯被枪杀身亡 |
[32:24] | And a woman contacted Sparky. Her name was Harriet Glickman. | 一位女士联系了史帕基 她叫哈莉特·格里克曼 |
[32:30] | She said, “It’s time for you, | 她说 “是时候了 |
[32:31] | with this platform you have, Mr. Schulz, | 用你的画板 舒尔茨先生 |
[32:34] | to do something.” | 来做点什么” |
[32:36] | She said, “I think you should add a Black child in Peanuts.” | 她说”我觉得你该在《花生漫画》中画个黑人孩子” |
[32:42] | He’s like, “I can’t. | 他回答 “我做不到 |
[32:43] | I don’t know what it’s like to be a young Black child.” | 我不知道黑人小孩的生活是怎样的” |
[32:46] | So Harriet Glickman asked | 于是哈莉特·格里克曼 |
[32:48] | her friends Kenneth Kelly and Monica Gunning, | 让她的朋友肯尼斯·凯利和莫妮卡·冈宁 |
[32:50] | who were Black, and also parents, to write to Schulz as well. | 既是黑人 也是父母 也给舒尔茨写信 |
[32:53] | 漫画是给所有人看的 为什么不在其中 加一个少数族裔的角色呢 您真挚的朋友 莫妮卡·冈宁 | |
[32:55] | Back then, there were almost no people of color in the comics, | 那时 漫画中基本没有任何有色人种 |
[32:59] | and Sparky realized what it might mean to all kids | 史帕基意识到如果他能改变现状 |
[33:03] | if he could help change that. | 那对所有孩子意义重大 |
[33:05] | He wanted to do something that had meaning, | 他想做一些有意义的事 |
[33:08] | that actually said something. | 能代表立场的事 |
[33:10] | You got the sense from him he was a very fair-minded person. | 你会觉得他是个非常公平的人 |
[33:13] | And, I mean, racial inequality is not fairness. | 但种族不平等并不是公平 |
[33:17] | I held off on Franklin for a long time | 我把富兰克林的角色拖了很久 |
[33:19] | because I simply felt I wasn’t capable of doing him properly. | 因为我感觉自己无法画好他 |
[33:23] | And I didn’t want to appear to be patronizing. | 我也不想给人感觉自诩清高 |
[33:27] | I tried to do it without fanfare. | 我试着悄悄引入他 |
[33:29] | The little incident when he did appear | 他出现的小事件 |
[33:32] | was two little boys meeting on a beach. | 是两个小男孩在海滩上相遇 |
[33:34] | And they discovered they both liked to make sandcastles. | 他们发现两人都喜欢建沙堡 |
[33:37] | It doesn’t matter that one is Black and one is white. | 这不意味着他是黑人 他是白人 |
[33:40] | “Now, there you are, Charlie Brown. | “瞧瞧 查理·布朗 |
[33:42] | There’s a real sandcastle!” | 这才是真正的沙堡” |
[33:45] | You know, papers threatened to drop the strip. | 报纸威胁说不再刊登他的连环画 |
[33:47] | And he was like, “Fine, drop it.” And then they didn’t. | 然后他说 “行 别登了” 但他们没有 |
[33:50] | And then they were like, | 然后他们妥协说 |
[33:51] | “Well, just don’t show them in school together.” | “那别画他们一起去上学” |
[33:53] | And of course, then it’s exactly what he did. | 当然了 后来他就让他们一起上学了 |
[33:56] | The interesting thing about Franklin was, | 富兰克林的有趣之处在于 |
[33:58] | you don’t remember his personality per se, | 你不会记得他的性格如何 |
[34:01] | as much as he seemed pretty serious. | 但会记得他很严肃 |
[34:04] | He was a serious kid that you almost got the feeling, again, | 他是个严肃的小孩 你似乎会觉得 |
[34:08] | looking back at it now as an adult, | 如今用成人的角度回头看依然是 |
[34:11] | you know, the burden, almost, | 感觉他肩上有负担 |
[34:14] | of being this Black kid in a white world, | 作为一个在白人世界的黑人小孩 |
[34:16] | even though it was a comic strip world, | 尽管是在连环画世界里 |
[34:18] | was weighing on him. | 这份负担依然压着他 |
[34:20] | He knew that everybody was kind of looking at him. | 他知道所有人都多多少少注视着他 |
[34:40] | Maybe that’s my purpose in life: feeding a dog. | 也许这就是我生命的意义 喂狗 |
[34:49] | I guess I can’t put it off any longer. | 我想不能再拖了 |
[34:51] | I better start writing. | 我最好赶紧写作业 |
[35:24] | Who am I? Who am I? | 我是谁 我是谁 |
[35:31] | This is hopeless. | 这根本毫无进展 |
[35:33] | Maybe I should get some fresh air. | 也许我该去呼吸下新鲜空气 |
[35:47] | One of the biggest things to ever happen | 查理·布朗和他的小伙伴们 |
[35:49] | to Charlie Brown and his friends was | 遇见的大事件之一 |
[35:51] | when they were first brought to life on TV | 是当漫画被影视化上了电视 |
[35:54] | with A Charlie Brown Christmas. | 带来了《查理·布朗圣诞特辑》 |
[35:56] | My mother timed the purchase of our first color TV | 我母亲算好了我们买第一台有色电视的时间 |
[36:00] | so that I could watch the Christmas special in color. | 好让我在家里看上圣诞特辑 |
[36:03] | That was a huge moment for me. | 那对我来说是重要的一刻 |
[36:05] | Every Christmas, we just all watch it together | 每个圣诞 我们都会一起观看 |
[36:08] | and drink hot cocoa, and it’s just really fun. | 喝着热可可 其乐无穷 |
[36:11] | I personally don’t celebrate Christmas. | 我个人不庆祝圣诞节 |
[36:13] | I’m a Jew. I hate Christmas. | 我是犹太人 我讨厌圣诞节 |
[36:15] | It means nothing to me. Christmas means nothing to me. | 对我来说毫无意义 圣诞节对我来说一文不值 |
[36:18] | But the Charlie Brown Christmas special… | 但《查理·布朗圣诞特辑》 |
[36:20] | I mean, does it get better than that? | 还有比这更美妙的东西吗 |
[36:23] | A Charlie Brown Christmas was a huge hit, | 《查理·布朗圣诞特辑》大获成功 |
[36:26] | and soon there was a Peanuts special for almost every holiday. | 很快《花生漫画》特辑席卷了几乎所有节日 |
[36:29] | I didn’t have traditional holidays when I was a kid. | 我小时候不喜欢传统节日 |
[36:32] | Like, I was probably traveling for work. | 我很可能在旅途中 在工作 |
[36:35] | And so to me, | 所以于我而言 |
[36:37] | those specials were like the marker | 这些特辑就像是个记号 |
[36:39] | I didn’t have in a traditional home of, | 在我的原生家庭里所没有的 |
[36:41] | “It’s this holiday. It’s this time of year.” | “现在是这个节日 到了一年中这个时候了” |
[36:44] | I remember the Halloween special ran, | 我记得万圣节特辑 |
[36:47] | the Great Pumpkin special, | 《南瓜大王特辑》 |
[36:49] | and the ongoing joke, “What did you get?” | 有个非常流行的笑话 “你收到了什么” |
[36:51] | “I got an apple.” “I got a candy bar.” Charlie Brown… | “我收到了苹果””我收到了糖果棒” 而查理·布朗 |
[36:55] | I got a rock. | 我收到了石头 |
[36:58] | All right. Let’s take it from the top again. | 好 从头开始 |
[37:06] | Five, four, three, two… All engines running. | 五四三二…启动所有引擎 |
[37:11] | The holiday specials helped make Peanuts so popular | 节日特辑让《花生漫画》盛极一时 |
[37:14] | that NASA named the Apollo 10 modules | 宇航局把阿波罗10号飞船船舱 |
[37:17] | after Charlie Brown and Snoopy. | 命名为查理·布朗和史努比 |
[37:19] | We are very flattered to be part of your whole program, | 我们很荣幸能成为你们计划中的一部分 |
[37:23] | and extremely grateful. | 也非常感激 |
[37:24] | I had no idea that all of | 从前的我根本想不到 |
[37:26] | these strange things were going to happen, | 会发生这么多神奇的事情 |
[37:27] | like Snoopy going to the moon. | 比如史努比上月球 |
[37:30] | Roger. We notice the resemblance there too. | 收到 我们也在那看到了相似处 |
[37:34] | Certainly one of the most moving experiences of my entire life. | 毫无疑问是我这辈子最感动的时刻 |
[37:39] | You have to be such an iconic part of the culture | 你必须成为文化标志的重中之重 |
[37:42] | for them to name a lunar lander after you. | 才能让人以你的名字命名登月舱 |
[37:45] | Do you know what I mean? Like, can you imagine being that famous? | 懂我意思吗 你能想象变得那么著名吗 |
[37:47] | Like, can you imagine? Like, that’s crazy. | 你能想象吗 简直不可思议 |
[37:51] | But while Charlie Brown and Snoopy were going to outer space, | 但尽管查理·布朗和史努比去了外太空 |
[37:54] | Sparky was living a quiet life. | 史帕基还过着安静的生活 |
[37:57] | He built a world around himself | 他给自己搭建了一个世界 |
[37:58] | that was filled with the things he had loved since he was a kid, | 放满了他从小就喜爱的东西 |
[38:02] | like a skating rink, | 比如溜冰场 |
[38:04] | and a baseball field. | 和棒球场 |
[38:07] | He didn’t work in a studio. It was a campus. It was Disneyesque. | 他工作的地方不是工作室 而是校园 是个迪士尼 |
[38:10] | This building was a café, this building had hockey. | 这座建筑是咖啡厅 这里有冰球场 |
[38:15] | I love my daily routine of | 我喜欢自己的日常 |
[38:17] | getting up and going down to the ice arena | 起床后去溜冰场 |
[38:19] | and having breakfast and going to the studio in the morning. | 吃过早饭后去工作室 |
[38:22] | When it comes right down to it, | 说到底 |
[38:23] | I’d rather sit and draw a funny picture than do anything else. | 我最想做的事就是画有趣的漫画 |
[38:27] | He’d get up in the morning, drive down the hill, | 他早上起床 开车下山 |
[38:31] | would park his car in the same place across the street. | 停在街对面的老位置 |
[38:33] | He had breakfast at the ice arena. | 在溜冰场吃早饭 |
[38:35] | An English muffin with grape jelly. | 英国麦芬蛋糕和葡萄果冻 |
[38:38] | And then he went into his office, sat at his desk and worked. | 然后他去办公室 坐在桌旁工作 |
[38:42] | He would literally go in his office | 他真的是走进办公室 |
[38:44] | and wait for the inspiration to hit. | 等着灵感降临 |
[38:48] | I never saw him not working, really. | 我从没见过他不工作的时候 |
[38:50] | Whenever we visited, he was always in his studio. | 无论我们什么时候来 他总在工作室 |
[38:54] | That’s what he did. He loved it. | 他就待在那 而且他很喜欢 |
[38:56] | That solitary part of his studio where he would sit and create. | 他在工作室享受独处 坐着创作 |
[39:01] | It takes a certain solitary type of personality | 必须拥有喜欢独处的性格 |
[39:05] | that can handle hours alone in the room, | 才能忍受长时间一个人在屋里 |
[39:10] | hours alone in your head. | 长时间沉浸在头脑中 |
[39:12] | Even as successful as he was, | 尽管他功成名就 |
[39:16] | I don’t know that he got the full depth of | 我想他并不完全了解 |
[39:21] | the love and devotion people had to him and those characters. | 人们对他和那些角色喜爱程度 |
[39:36] | Doesn’t looking at all these stars | 看着满天繁星 |
[39:38] | make you feel sort of insignificant, Charlie Brown? | 难道不让你感觉渺小吗 查理·布朗 |
[39:42] | I always feel insignificant, Linus. | 我一直感觉渺小 莱纳斯 |
[39:48] | How are you doing with the assignment? | 你的作业怎么样了 |
[39:50] | I haven’t written a single word. | 一个字都没写 |
[39:53] | Maybe I’m just a nobody. | 或许我只是个无名之辈 |
[39:55] | I don’t think you’re a nobody, Charlie Brown. | 我不觉得你是无名之辈 查理·布朗 |
[39:58] | Thanks, Linus. | 谢谢 莱纳斯 |
[40:00] | But what am I supposed to do? My essay is due tomorrow. | 但我该怎么办 我的作文明天就要交了 |
[40:05] | Well, when I’m feeling overwhelmed, | 当我感觉不知所措时 |
[40:07] | sometimes I find the answers by staring at the sky. | 有时我会通过仰望星空寻找答案 |
[40:16] | It’s not working, Linus. | 不管用 莱纳斯 |
[40:18] | What do you see? | 你看到什么了 |
[40:20] | A bunch of stars, I guess. | 一堆星星吧 |
[40:22] | But what does that have to do with my assignment? | 但这跟我的作业有什么关系 |
[40:25] | Well, in some ways, the stars are a lot like you. | 从某种程度上来说 星星与你很像 |
[40:31] | If you look closely, you’ll see that every star is different. | 如果你仔细看 会发现每颗星星都不一样 |
[40:35] | They each vary in color, size and how brightly they shine. | 它们在颜色 大小以及明亮度上都各有不同 |
[40:40] | But it’s those differences that create something beautiful. | 但这些不同创造了美丽 |
[40:45] | Just like us, Charlie Brown. | 就像我们 查理·布朗 |
[40:47] | Each of us is unique, | 我们每个人都很独特 |
[40:48] | but we’re part of something much greater than ourselves. | 但我们也属于一个比自己更大的东西 |
[40:52] | We each have a purpose, | 我们每人都有目标 |
[40:53] | even if it’s hard to know for sure what it is. | 尽管很难确定那是什么 |
[40:56] | And there’s joy to be found in the journey | 但每天发觉目标的旅程 |
[40:58] | of figuring it out each day. | 都充满了欢乐 |
[41:00] | Maybe for now, your purpose is just to be Charlie Brown. | 也许现在 你的目标只是做查理·布朗 |
[41:08] | Maybe you’re right, Linus. Well, I better get to work. | 也许你说得对 莱纳斯 我该去写作业了 |
[41:14] | I guess if there’s hope for Charlie Brown, | 我猜如果查理·布朗还有希望 |
[41:16] | there’s hope for all of us. | 那我们就都有 |
[41:23] | By 1980, | 到了1980年 |
[41:24] | Sparky had been drawing Peanuts | 史帕基已经每天绘画 |
[41:26] | practically every day for 30 years. | 《花生漫画》将近三十年了 |
[41:30] | That’s over 10,000 strips. | 超过一万副连环画 |
[41:33] | And in all that time, | 在那段时间中 |
[41:34] | he never took a vacation or missed a single deadline. | 他从没休过假 或错过截稿日期 |
[41:38] | You’re like a squirrel running in a cage day in and day out. | 你就像在整日在笼子里跑进跑出的松鼠 |
[41:42] | No vacations. | 没有假期 |
[41:44] | A comic strip is a completely unique form of entertainment. | 连环画是非常独特的娱乐形式 |
[41:47] | It lives with you day after day after day. | 它日复一日和你在一起 |
[41:51] | You gotta be a machine that way to write the same thing every day | 你必须做个机器 才能每天写同样的西 |
[41:56] | without repeating yourself. | 却又不重复书写 |
[41:58] | A lot of cartoonists would pencil the strip | 很多漫画家会用铅笔打底 |
[42:01] | and then have someone else ink it. | 然后让其他人上墨 |
[42:04] | But he always insisted on inking it himself. | 但他总是坚持自己上墨 |
[42:07] | He had this matter of pride that | 他有一种骄傲 |
[42:09] | no one ever touched the strip but him. | 除了他别人不能碰他的连环画 |
[42:11] | He did all the work himself. | 他一人包揽了所有工作 |
[42:13] | In July of 1981, Sparky started having chest pains. | 1981年7月 史帕基开始出现胸痛 |
[42:18] | He was rushed to the hospital for surgery on his heart. | 并急忙送去医院做了心脏手术 |
[42:21] | He was in the hospital. | 他当时在医院 |
[42:23] | He asked for a sheet of paper | 要了一张纸 |
[42:24] | just to see if he could draw a character. | 只想看看他是否还能画角色 |
[42:26] | He wanted to do that immediately | 他在术后立即想试画 |
[42:28] | to make sure that he could still draw. | 确保自己依然能画画 |
[42:31] | And he could, but it had changed. | 而且他可以 但却改变了 |
[42:38] | His hand got shaky, and his lines got shaky. | 他的手变得颤抖 线条也跟着弯曲 |
[42:41] | And you can see in the later strips, | 你可以从后期的连环画中看出 |
[42:44] | the edges of the lines are quite wiggly. | 线条的边缘波浪起伏 |
[42:48] | He would say, “Sometimes my hand shakes so much | 他会说 “有时我的手抖得太厉害 |
[42:51] | that I have to hold it up to draw.” | 我必须扶着手才能画画” |
[42:54] | I remember watching him drawing, say, Charlie Brown, | 我记得看着他画画 说 查理·布朗 |
[42:57] | which is a fairly large circle, the head. | 他的脑袋就是个大圆圈 |
[43:00] | And his hands would shake, and he’d get so angry. | 他的手开始颤抖 他就会生气 |
[43:03] | But yet he said, “I can do rain.” Like, little slashes and lines, | 但他却说 “我可以画雨” 就是斜线和直线 |
[43:07] | like rain or grass. | 比如雨或草 |
[43:11] | He just said, “This is what it looks like now. | 他只是说 “这就是现在的样子了 |
[43:13] | This is still authentically my work.” | 但依然是我的原创作品” |
[43:15] | The shaky line becomes his signature move. | 弯曲的线条成了他的招牌 |
[43:21] | Like, that is amazing. That is amazing. | 太神奇了 妙不可言 |
[43:23] | It would’ve harmed a lot of careers. | 这可能会影响很多人职业 |
[43:25] | But it took Peanuts to another level, | 但却让《花生漫画》更上一层楼 |
[43:28] | and actually made us feel more empathy | 并让我们感受到更多共情 |
[43:31] | for both him and his characters. | 对他和他笔下的角色 |
[43:36] | It tells you that he’s willing to put himself out there. | 它告诉你他愿意冒险 |
[43:41] | He didn’t stop. His ego didn’t say, | 他没有停下 他的自尊心没有说 |
[43:43] | “If I can’t draw perfectly, I’m not doing that.” No. | “如果我画得不完美 我就不画了” 不是 |
[43:46] | This was his being. This is how he communicated. | 这就是他的为人 这就是他想告诉大家的 |
[43:49] | This is how he lived. | 这就是他的处世理念 |
[43:52] | I like to think that I bring up some solutions now and then. | 我希望认为自己时不时带来了些解决方法 |
[43:56] | I suppose one of the solutions is, | 我想其中一个就是 |
[43:59] | as Charlie Brown, just to keep on trying. | 作为查理·布朗 只需要不断努力 |
[44:04] | He never gives up. And if anybody should give up, he should. | 他从不放弃 如果有谁该放弃 那肯定是他 |
[44:20] | Good morning, Charlie Brown. How did your essay writing go? | 早上好 查理·布朗 你的作文怎么样了 |
[44:24] | I was up all night, but I finished it. | 我熬了一宿 但我写完了 |
[44:27] | – Maybe I’ll even get an A. – That would be nice. | -也许我甚至能拿A -那就太好了 |
[44:30] | But life’s rewards often manifest themselves | 但生活的奖励总用 |
[44:32] | in unconventional ways. | 不同寻常的方式出现 |
[44:35] | I’m not sure what that means, Linus. | 我不知道那是什么意思 |
[44:38] | But if I get an A, that would certainly be unconventional. | 但如果我能拿A 确实是不同寻常 |
[44:55] | Our essays have been graded. | 我们的作文已经批好了 |
[44:57] | I wonder if I finally got an A. | 不知我是否终于能拿A了 |
[45:03] | I can’t take the suspense. | 我受不了悬念了 |
[45:08] | C minus? Good grief. | C- 真是的 |
[45:11] | I got an A. | 我得了A |
[45:13] | The teacher complimented my penmanship and perfect margins. | 老师表扬了我的字写得好 行间距也很均匀 |
[45:23] | I can’t believe it, Linus. All that work for a C minus. | 我不敢相信 莱纳斯 费了这么大劲只得了C- |
[45:28] | Cheer up, Charlie Brown. Grades aren’t a measure of one’s value. | 开心点 查理·布朗 成绩不能衡量人的价值 |
[45:32] | Anyway, a true work of art can only be judged over time. | 总之 真正的艺术品只能由时间来评判 |
[45:37] | Well, I guess that’s something to look forward to. | 那还算值得期待吧 |
[45:44] | “Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, ‘Why me?’ | “有时我夜不能寐 一直自问 为什么是我” |
[45:49] | Then a voice answers, ‘Nothing personal, | 然后听到一个声音 别介意 |
[45:51] | your name just happened to come up.'” | 只是你的名字刚好出现了” |
[46:00] | Just a few weeks ago, | 就在几周前 |
[46:01] | Charles Schulz announced his retirement from drawing | 查尔斯·舒尔茨宣布了他将封山不再画画 |
[46:03] | the Peanuts comic strip in order | 《花生漫画》将停更 |
[46:04] | to concentrate on treatment for colon cancer. | 而他将专注治疗肠癌 |
[46:08] | He was weak from chemo, | 他因化疗而消瘦 |
[46:10] | and he decided he was going to retire. | 之后他决定退休 |
[46:14] | I remember very clearly when he said, | 我记得很清楚 他是这么说的 |
[46:17] | “I can’t draw the strip anymore.” | “我没法再画连环画了” |
[46:19] | He came in one day, | 他有一天过来 |
[46:21] | and we were talking about doing the last strip. | 我们在商量最后一幅连环画 |
[46:24] | And he was sitting a few feet away from me, | 他坐在距离我几米的地方 |
[46:26] | and he just looked at me and he sort of laughed, and he said, | 然后他只是看着我 笑了笑 然后说道 |
[46:29] | “I really drew some funny things.” | “我真的画了不少有趣的东西” |
[46:31] | And you could just feel how sad he was | 你能感受到他的悲伤 |
[46:35] | that he knew he wasn’t gonna be able to draw it anymore. | 他知道自己无法继续画画的那种无力感 |
[46:38] | The last daily strip is going to be January 3rd, | 最后一幅连环画预定在1月3日刊登 |
[46:41] | the day this story is airing. | 报纸出刊的那天 |
[46:43] | Has it completely sunk in | 你是否真实感觉到 |
[46:44] | that you’re not gonna be doing this anymore? | 自己永远不会再继续画漫画了 |
[46:48] | It didn’t really sink in until | 当时感觉并不真切 |
[46:51] | I was writing a little kind of a | 我在写一个算是 |
[46:55] | “So long, friends” sort of thing. | “后会无期 朋友们”这类的告别篇 |
[46:58] | And then right at the end, | 然后到了最后 |
[46:59] | I wrote his name, my name. | 我写了他的名字 我的名字 |
[47:04] | And then it said– | 最后一句是 |
[47:06] | And I’ll probably start crying. | 我可能会开始哭 |
[47:09] | It said, well, | 最后一句是 |
[47:10] | 查理·布朗 史努比 莱纳斯 露西… 我永远无法忘记他们 查尔斯·舒尔茨 | |
[47:12] | that was Charlie Brown, Linus and so-and-so. | 查理·布朗 莱纳斯和其他小伙伴 |
[47:15] | And all of a sudden, I thought… | 突然之间 我就想 |
[47:18] | “You know, that poor, poor kid. | “知道吗 那个可怜的孩子 |
[47:20] | He never even got to kick the football.” | 他都没踢到橄榄球” |
[47:26] | Sparky died on February 12th of the year 2000. | 史帕基于2000年2月12日逝世 |
[47:31] | That very same day, | 在同一天 |
[47:32] | his final Peanuts comic strip was published. | 他最后的《花生漫画》出版了 |
[47:36] | The day he died | 他去世的那天 |
[47:37] | 《花生漫画》 舒尔茨 | |
[47:37] | 致亲爱的朋友 我有幸画了查理·布朗和他的小伙伴们50年 完成了我童年时期的野心 很遗憾 我已无法维持每日一篇的速度绘画 我的家人也不希望《花生漫画》由他人接手 所以我宣布退休 我很荣幸多年来一直有忠诚的编辑 和漫画粉丝对我表达的支持和爱意 查理·布朗 史努比 莱纳斯 露西… 我永远无法忘记他们 查尔斯·舒尔茨 | |
[47:38] | was the day the last strip ran. | 是最后一幅连环画发行的日子 |
[47:41] | I think it says something about how deeply connected his soul was | 我觉得这说明了他的灵魂与 |
[47:46] | to the soul of these amazing characters that he came up with. | 他画笔下那些非凡角色的灵魂紧紧相连 |
[47:49] | I mean, he was those characters. | 他就是那些角色 |
[47:52] | It’s amazing. He dies doing the thing he loves. | 令人称奇 他一直到去世都在做自己喜爱的事 |
[47:56] | He was one person | 他是一个普通人 |
[47:58] | telling this really personal story every day. | 每天讲述着非常私人的故事 |
[48:02] | And I think the fans, they got that. They felt that. | 而且我觉得粉丝们看懂了 他们感受到了 |
[48:07] | These funny, memorable, wondrous comic strips. | 这些有趣 难忘 妙趣横生的连环画 |
[48:11] | And that you can really just love and cherish | 而且你可以喜爱珍惜其中角色 |
[48:14] | and take a lot of good life lessons from as well. | 并从中学到很好的人生经验 |
[48:17] | It’s about humanity at its most tender. | 这是关于人性中最美好一面的故事 |
[48:21] | It’s about humanity and its silliness. | 讲述了人性和其傻里傻气 |
[48:24] | It’s about humanity without cruelty. | 展现了没有残忍的人性 |
[48:27] | And I think we need that in our world today. | 我认为在现今世界 我们很需要这点 |
[48:31] | We may not agree with each other. | 我们也许不同意彼此观点 |
[48:32] | We may be a fussbudget like Lucy. | 我们也许像露西一样大惊小怪 |
[48:35] | We may be insecure like Charlie Brown. | 我们也许像查理·布朗一样不安 |
[48:38] | We may think our philosophy’s the most important, like Linus. | 我们也许认为自己的人生哲学最重要 像莱纳斯 |
[48:42] | But the reality is, we’re all in it together. | 但事实是 我们同舟共济 |
[48:44] | And the conversations those young children have | 而且这些人类幼崽之间的对话 |
[48:47] | resonate with all of us to our soul. | 激荡着我们所有人的灵魂 |
[48:56] | Twenty years after Charles Schulz drew | 在查尔斯·舒尔茨画 |
[48:59] | his last Peanuts strip, | 最后一期连环画二十年后 |
[49:01] | his work and the characters he created | 他的作品和他创作的角色 |
[49:03] | are still being celebrated around the world. | 被全世界的人庆贺 |
[49:06] | Like Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, | 比如汤姆·索耶 哈克·芬恩 |
[49:08] | Peanuts is woven deep into the fabric of American pop culture. | 《花生漫画》已经深深埋入了美国流行文化 |
[49:13] | What resonates still is the human emotion of it. | 其中描绘的人类情感依旧让大家共鸣 |
[49:17] | That’s never gonna change. | 这一点永远不会改变 |
[49:19] | It’s iconic and it’s timeless, | 它很经典 而且永不过时 |
[49:20] | and that everybody around the world | 世界上的所有人 |
[49:22] | can identify with and love and cherish. | 都能感同身受 喜爱并珍惜 |
[49:26] | You know, my grandkids are gonna read Peanuts. | 我的孙辈们也会看《花生漫画》 |
[49:29] | It’s Charlie Brown. | 这是查理·布朗 |
[49:30] | Is there anything you’d | 对于过去五十年 |
[49:31] | like to say to the folks who have read Peanuts | 一直看你《花生漫画》的读者 |
[49:33] | for the last almost 50 years? | 你有什么想说的吗 |
[49:35] | It is… amazing | 这…太令人惊喜了 |
[49:38] | that they think that what I do was good. | 大家喜爱我的作品 |
[49:43] | I just did the best I could. | 我只是尽力而为 |
[50:12] | Where have you been, Chuck? Grab your skates. | 你去哪了 查克 穿上你的溜冰鞋 |
[50:39] | Nice to see you, Charlie Brown. | 很高兴见到你 查理·布朗 |
[50:43] | Hurry up, Charlie Brown. Grab on. | 快来 查理·布朗 一起牵手 |
[50:53] | There’s nothing quite like the first snowfall of the year. | 没什么比每年的初雪更美妙了 |
[54:20] | 谢谢你 史帕基 我们永远怀念你 |