英文名称:Magic in the Moonlight
年代:2014
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:00] | ♪You do something to me♪ | 你对我做了什么 |
[01:05] | ♪Something that simply mystifies me♪ | 让我困惑不已 |
[01:10] | ♪Tell me, why should it be♪ | 告诉我 为什么 |
[01:15] | ♪You have the power to hypnotize me♪ | 你竟能将我催眠了去 |
[01:20] | ♪Let me live ‘neath your spell♪ | 让我在你的符咒下喘息 |
[01:25] | ♪Do do that voodoo that you do so well♪ | 你的巫术是那么神奇 |
[01:29] | ♪’Cause you do something to me♪ | 你对我做了什么 |
[01:34] | ♪That nobody else could do♪ | 旁人永远无法企及 |
[01:35] | 东方 魔术 | |
[03:48] | Bravo! Bravo! | 好 好 |
[03:54] | I don’t understand. Is the conductor a blithering idiot? | 我搞不明白 那个指挥是傻子吗 |
[03:57] | We went over the tempo six times! | 那个节拍我们已经练过六遍了 |
[03:59] | It’s adagio, adagio, adagio. It’s not racehorse tempo! | 应该是缓慢的 不是这种赛马曲的节奏 |
[04:03] | Ja, ja, Herr Crawford. I’m sorry, I’m sorry. | 克劳福德先生 对不起 |
[04:04] | What? Don’t be sorry! | 什么 我不需要你的道歉 |
[04:06] | Get it right. What good are apologies | 你给我把曲子弄对就行 道歉有什么用 |
[04:08] | when the poetry of the moment is lost? | 好好的诗意都被你搅没了 |
[04:10] | And you! You’re supposed to knock | 还有你 在箱子里准备好以后 |
[04:11] | when you’re ready in the trunk. | 你应该敲敲箱子示意我 |
[04:12] | How do I know when you’re all clear? | 不然我怎么知道你准备好了没有 |
[04:13] | Well, I’m sorry, Mr. Crawford, I couldn’t breathe in that… | 抱歉 克劳福德先生 在里面喘不过气 |
[04:15] | Well, you’re not hired to breathe! | 我又不是雇你来喘气的 |
[04:16] | But it was her first time, Mr. Crawford. | 这是她第一次登台 克劳福德先生 |
[04:18] | My God, we went over this routine all afternoon. | 我们整个下午都在排练这个 |
[04:21] | How do I know when to begin sticking in the swords? | 不然我怎么知道什么时候拔剑 |
[04:23] | I could have stabbed you to death, | 我可能会杀死你 |
[04:25] | and then, I get blood on my ensemble. | 到时候就直接血溅当场了 |
[04:27] | Oh, Mr. Wei Ling Soo! You were, as always, brilliant! | 苏魏灵先生 您的表演总是那么精彩 |
[04:29] | Oh, I’ve already taken off my robe. | 我已经把戏服脱了 |
[04:30] | Can my wife and I take a photo of you? | 我和妻子可以和您合个影吗 |
[04:31] | An autograph, please? | 您能给我一张签名吗 |
[04:33] | Autographs are for mental defectives. | 要签名的人都是脑残 |
[04:35] | But I want to prove I met you. | 我只是想证明我见过您 |
[04:37] | Well, if you don’t mind, I’d rather that proof didn’t exist. | 你不介意的话 我宁愿你证明不了 |
[04:39] | What if you get picked up for sodomy? | 你要是被抓到爆菊怎么办 |
[04:48] | Yes! | 什么事 |
[04:50] | Stanley? | 斯坦利 |
[04:52] | Burkan! | 博甘 |
[04:53] | How are you, Howard? | 你最近好吗 霍华德 |
[04:54] | Brilliant. You are still the best in the world. | 好极了 你还是那个全世界最厉害的魔术师 |
[04:58] | No thanks to the assorted Neanderthals I have to deal with. | 这和那群山顶洞人可没关系 |
[05:00] | Oh, you haven’t changed. | 你一点儿都没变 |
[05:01] | You’re still a perfectionist, a snob, a genius, | 你还是那个完美主义者 势利眼和天才 |
[05:04] | with all the charm of a typhus epidemic. | 像伤寒病一样流行 |
[05:06] | Well, can I help it if I’m surrounded by assassins? | 身边有那么多诋毁我的人 我能有什么办法 |
[05:09] | Nonetheless, you held us spellbound. | 最起码你把我们都迷住了 |
[05:12] | And that last effect, from the sarcophagus into the empty chair, | 最后那个从石棺里变到椅子上的表演 |
[05:15] | when you swivel around… | 当你把椅子转过来的时候 |
[05:16] | I mean, I do a vanish-and-reappearance trick in my show | 我也做过大变活人的把戏 |
[05:20] | where I transport my pretty assistant | 我让我的助理钻进扁皮箱里 |
[05:21] | From one side of the stage to the other | 把她从舞台的一边 |
[05:23] | in a steamer trunk, | 变到了另一边去 |
[05:24] | but it is nothing compared to what you do. | 可这比起你的差远了 |
[05:27] | I invented that effect myself. | 这个节目是我自己想出来的 |
[05:29] | And if you’re very good, | 如果你够聪明的话 |
[05:31] | when we have more time, I’ll teach you all the moves. | 我们有时间的时候 我可以把它教给你 |
[05:32] | It’s actually… It’s very simple. You can do it anywhere. | 其实真的很简单 你在任何地方都可以表演 |
[05:35] | It’s a spectacular trick. | 真是个了不起的把戏 |
[05:37] | It’s so good to see you. How long has it been? | 见到你真高兴 我们有多久没见了 |
[05:39] | It’s a year, at least. And the tour’s going well? | 至少有一年了 你的巡回演出还顺利吧 |
[05:42] | Yes, it’s going quite well. It concludes this week. | 非常顺利 这周就结束了 |
[05:45] | Munich was good. Barcelona adored me. | 慕尼黑的表演很成功 巴塞罗那也很喜欢我 |
[05:48] | And you’ll never guess who came to see the show in Zurich. | 你绝对想不到谁去看我在苏黎世的表演了 |
[05:50] | – Enid Paxton. – Enid Paxton? | -伊内德·帕克斯顿 -伊内德·帕克斯顿? |
[05:53] | Little thing in third form, | 第三组的那个小姑娘 |
[05:54] | we both used her as an assistant | 咱们俩决定做魔术师的时候 |
[05:55] | when we decided to become magicians. | 都用她做过助手 |
[05:57] | You sawed her in half, and I cut her head off. | 你把她锯成两断 我砍掉了她的脑袋 |
[05:59] | Well, she was a game girl. | 她天生就适合变戏法 |
[06:01] | – Uh, how is she? – Oh, she’s fine. | -她现在还好吗 -她很好 |
[06:03] | You don’t really notice any of the scars. | 你完全看不出她受过什么伤害 |
[06:05] | Of course, she’s fatter than my elephant. | 当然了 她现在比我的大象还要胖呢 |
[06:06] | What? Pretty little Enid with the curls? | 什么 你是说那个卷发的小伊内德吗 |
[06:09] | Well, the years can be cruel, Howard. | 岁月无情 霍华德 |
[06:11] | “Life is nasty, brutish and short,” As the man said. | 有人说”人生本就卑贱 残酷且短暂” |
[06:14] | Was it Hobbes? Yes, I believe it was Hobbes. | 是霍布斯说的吗 没错 我想是他 |
[06:16] | I’d have got on rather well with Hobbes. | 我倒是很欣赏霍布斯 |
[06:18] | Shall we go for a drink? | 我们去喝一杯吧 |
[06:19] | Brilliant notion, Burkan. We can catch up. | 好主意 博甘 咱们好好聊聊 |
[06:21] | Stanley, I need your help. | 斯坦利 我想请你帮个忙 |
[06:24] | Ah, the plot thickens. | 事情有点复杂了 |
[06:26] | I’ll buy you a scotch. | 我请你去喝杯苏格兰威士忌 |
[06:57] | The Catledge family are wonderful people. | 卡特莱奇家族都是些很不错的人 |
[07:00] | Caroline Catledge is an old friend of mine. | 卡洛琳·卡特莱奇是我的老朋友 |
[07:02] | They’re a wealthy Pittsburgh family. | 他们是匹兹堡非常富裕的家族 |
[07:04] | Father made millions in coal before he died. | 父亲生前做煤炭生意 留下了数百万的财富 |
[07:06] | They’re socialites with several houses, | 他们都是上流社会的人 拥有多处房产 |
[07:09] | one in the south of France. | 其中有一处在法国南部 |
[07:10] | Now, the thing is, there’s a young woman staying with them, | 事情是这样的 现在有一个年轻女人 |
[07:15] | who has them believing that she’s a spirit medium. | 和他们在一起 还号称自己是个灵媒 |
[07:18] | Oh, Lord, not another fake psychic. | 天哪 不会又是个骗子吧 |
[07:20] | What a pestilence they are. | 那些人简直就像瘟疫 |
[07:22] | They’re taken with her predictions of the future. | 他们相信了她那些所谓的预言 |
[07:25] | – Telling them what they want to hear. – Precisely. | -她能说出他们想听到的事 -丝毫不差 |
[07:27] | Hmm, and charging them for all the good news she brings. | 她还为这些预言开口要钱了 |
[07:30] | Exactly right. And, of course, she’s a pretty young thing. | 没错 而且那女人年轻又漂亮 |
[07:33] | Well, of course. A pretty face never hurt a cheap swindler. | 当然了 骗子总是长了一张漂亮标志的脸 |
[07:35] | Brice Catledge, Caroline’s brother, | 布莱斯·卡特莱奇 卡洛琳的弟弟 |
[07:38] | the heir to the family fortune, | 家族财产的继承人 |
[07:41] | fancies himself in love with her. | 竟然爱上了这个女人 |
[07:43] | You know, I don’t know who I loathe more, | 我也不知道我最讨厌哪种人 |
[07:46] | those who use simple tricks to prey on the gullible, | 可那些靠着小把戏骗人的骗子 |
[07:49] | or the gullible, who are so stupid, they deserve what they get. | 还有那些轻易受骗的傻子都是自作自受 |
[07:52] | Brice Catledge’s sister Caroline | 布莱斯·卡特莱奇的姐姐卡洛琳 |
[07:54] | is married to a doctor, a psychoanalyst, | 嫁给了一位医生 一位心理医生 |
[07:56] | and he insisted on this woman doing her seances, | 他坚持认为这个女人所谓的通灵 |
[07:59] | in the presence of two renowned scientists. | 是在两个大名鼎鼎科学家面前装神弄鬼 |
[08:02] | Oh, rubbish. | 什么鬼话 |
[08:03] | Doesn’t he know that scientists are among the easiest to fool? | 他难道不知道科学家才是最容易上当受骗的吗 |
[08:06] | Well, this is the thing, I’m embarrassed to say, | 事情就是这样 我很惭愧 |
[08:08] | that I watched this woman work from every angle, time and again, | 我观察了这个女人的一切 |
[08:12] | and I couldn’t find anything amiss. | 始终没有找到任何破绽 |
[08:14] | I mean, I watched every move, and Lord knows, | 我观察了她的一举一动 天知道 |
[08:17] | I know pretty much every mind-reading and seance trick there is, | 我知道很多关于读心术和通灵的把戏 |
[08:20] | but I couldn’t find a flaw or spot | 可是我依然没有找到 |
[08:22] | a single suspicious move and… | 任何可疑的地方 |
[08:25] | I began to doubt my own clear thinking. | 我甚至开始怀疑自己的判断 |
[08:27] | You know, I thought, “Maybe, she’s the real thing.” | 我有时候甚至会想”也许她真的能通灵呢” |
[08:31] | There is no real thing, Howard! It’s all phony! | 根本没有这种事 霍华德 都是假的 |
[08:35] | From the seance table, to the Vatican and beyond! | 从通灵仪式到罗马教廷 |
[08:38] | I can’t believe you’re saying this. | 我不敢相信你竟然会说出这些话 |
[08:40] | I’m very worried for the family. | 我很担心这一家人 |
[08:41] | If you could come and observe her in action? | 你能去见见那个女人观察一下她吗 |
[08:44] | After all, you are the greatest debunker | 毕竟你是这世界上最能揭穿 |
[08:46] | of fake spiritualists in the world. | 这些骗子把戏的人了 |
[08:48] | There’s not a single one who’s got past you. | 没有人能逃过你的法眼 |
[08:51] | Olivia and I were all set to take a holiday, | 我和奥利维亚正准备去 |
[08:53] | travel through the Galapagos. | 加拉帕戈斯群岛度假 |
[08:55] | But you hate holidays. | 可是你不喜欢度假 |
[08:56] | You’ll spend your whole time in your room practicing card tricks, | 你会把所有时间用在房间里练魔术 |
[08:59] | and you’ll never see the big turtles. | 而不是去看乌龟 |
[09:01] | And besides, you’ve always loved the south of France, | 而且你一直很喜欢法国南部 |
[09:04] | and you could visit your Aunt Vanessa. | 你还可以去看望你的瓦妮莎姑妈 |
[09:07] | But if this woman knows | 可那个女人要是知道 |
[09:08] | she’s being watched by the great Wei Ling Soo, | 她被伟大的苏魏灵盯着 |
[09:11] | she’ll make some excuse not to perform. | 她一定会找借口推脱的 |
[09:14] | The usual headaches, resistance in the room… | 什么头疼啦 房间里有阻力啊什么的 |
[09:17] | She’ll never know you’re Wei Ling Soo. | 她不会知道你是苏魏灵的 |
[09:18] | No one knows who you are under all that chinoiserie. | 那张中国面具之下 没人知道你的真实身份 |
[09:21] | You can pose as anyone you like. | 你可以扮成任何一个人 |
[09:23] | Well, if she’s fooled you, she must be very good. | 她要是连你也骗过去了 那她可真厉害 |
[09:27] | But she won’t fool me. | 可是她骗不了我 |
[09:29] | I can’t wait to see what gimmickry she’s employing, | 我等不及要见识一下这个人的伎俩了 |
[09:32] | unmask it, and throw it back in her face. | 撕下她的伪装 扔到她脸上 |
[09:38] | Postponing our holiday? | 要推迟我们的度假吗 |
[09:40] | I can’t resist. | 我实在忍不住 |
[09:41] | You’re driven, Stanley. | 你鬼迷心窍了 斯坦利 |
[09:43] | Don’t get angry with me, Olivia. It won’t be for long. | 别生气 奥利维亚 不会很久的 |
[09:46] | Oh, okay, go. | 好吧 你去吧 |
[09:48] | You’ve always had the measure of me, Olivia. | 你总是那么了解我 奥利维亚 |
[09:50] | Ever since our very first dinner, | 从我们第一次共进晚餐起 |
[09:53] | when I made your ruby ring disappear from your finger, | 还有我把你的红宝石戒指从你手上变没了 |
[09:55] | and reappear in your soft-boiled egg. | 放到你那颗半熟的鸡蛋里去 |
[09:58] | If you recall, I quickly figured out how you did it. | 如果你记得的话 我很快就戳穿了你的把戏 |
[10:01] | Yes, you were very impressive. | 是的 你真厉害 |
[10:02] | Oh, it was simply a matter of logic and common sense. | 那不过是简单的逻辑感和直觉罢了 |
[10:05] | I mean, you palmed the | 你把戒指藏在手心里 |
[10:07] | ring and distracted me by spilling the salt. | 借用撒盐来分散我的注意力 |
[10:09] | I believe it was my clear thinking that attracted you to me. | 我想一定是我的聪慧吸引了你 |
[10:12] | Yes, your logic and common sense equal mine, | 没错 你的逻辑感和直觉和我一样敏锐 |
[10:14] | but you have the added quality of being beautiful. | 而且你又长得这么美 |
[10:17] | Mmm, you’ve said it several times, Stanley. | 你说过很多次了 斯坦利 |
[10:19] | We’re a match made in heaven. | 我们是天生一对 |
[10:50] | What a serendipitous pleasure to be surprised | 真是个惊喜 我最喜爱的侄儿 |
[10:54] | by my favorite nephew and Howard Burkan! | 和霍华德·博甘竟然来看我了 |
[10:58] | Little Howard. | 小霍华德 |
[10:59] | – Uh, “Burkan the Great,” If you please. – Of course. | -请叫我”博甘大师” -好 |
[11:02] | Of all my nephews and nieces, you’re the only one, Stanley, | 在我所有侄子和侄女里 斯坦利 |
[11:05] | who isn’t boring to the point of perfection. | 你是唯一一个力求完美的 |
[11:07] | Oh, I couldn’t agree more. | 您说得一点儿都没错 |
[11:09] | If only you had a slightly milder disposition, | 你的性子要是能更温和一些 |
[11:12] | you might actually have friends. | 也许你就会有很多朋友了 |
[11:13] | Oh, l am his friend. Notice I use the singular. | 我就是他的朋友 还是唯一的一个 |
[11:16] | Yes, he means he can tolerate me. | 是的 他是想说只有他能受得了我 |
[11:17] | You may be Burkan the Great to your public, | 你在公众面前也许是博甘大师 |
[11:19] | but to me, you’ll always be little Howard Burkan, | 可在我面前 你永远是那个小霍华德·博甘 |
[11:23] | who took my favorite scarf, | 用剪刀把我最喜欢的围巾 |
[11:24] | cut it in half with a pair of scissors, | 剪成两段的那个小家伙 |
[11:26] | waved his magic wand over it, | 挥动着他的魔杖 |
[11:29] | and it didn’t come back together. | 也没能把那条围巾变回原样 |
[11:31] | I was just learning the trick. | 我那时候才刚学 |
[11:32] | No, she never got over that. | 她永远都不会忘记这件事的 |
[11:34] | And to what do I owe this unannounced visit? | 你们这次突然拜访又是因为什么 |
[11:36] | I’m here to expose yet another fraudulent spiritualist, | 我来这儿拆穿一个骗子的把戏 |
[11:39] | and I thought I’d warn you I’ll be dropping by for black pudding. | 我告诉过您 有时间我会顺道来吃黑香肠的 |
[11:42] | Oh, yes, the Catledges are holding seances up at their place. | 没错 卡特莱奇一家要在家里举办通灵会 |
[11:46] | They’ve apparently met some gifted medium. | 他们显然是遇上了什么灵媒 |
[11:48] | It’s the talk of the Cote d’Azur. | 整个蓝色海岸都在传言 |
[11:49] | She’s a little American called Sophie Baker, | 她叫苏菲·贝壳 是个美国人 |
[11:52] | and apparently she’s very sharp, | 她非常厉害 |
[11:53] | but Stanley will get the measure of her. | 不过斯坦利一定有办法对付她 |
[11:54] | I can’t wait. | 我等不及了 |
[12:09] | – Welcome! – Welcome… | -欢迎 -欢迎 |
[12:11] | – How lovely to see you. – Bienvenue. | -你们能来真是太好了 -欢迎你们 |
[12:12] | George, Caroline, Stanley. | 乔治 卡洛琳 斯坦利 |
[12:14] | How do you do? | 你好 |
[12:15] | Oh, hello. Stanley. | 你好 斯坦利 |
[12:16] | A great pleasure. | 我的荣幸 |
[12:17] | George. Charmed. | 乔治 我真高兴 |
[12:18] | Of course, George and Caroline are the reason I’m here. | 我就是为了乔治和卡洛琳来的 |
[12:21] | They’re a great deal less gullible | 他们不像卡洛琳的妈妈和弟弟那样 |
[12:23] | than Caroline’s mother and brother, | 轻易就上当受骗 |
[12:25] | and had hoped that I would be able | 他们希望我能够揭开那个 |
[12:26] | to reveal the medium as a fraud. | 号称是灵媒的骗子的真面目 |
[12:28] | When she fooled Howard Burkan, | 她连霍华德·博甘都瞒了过去 |
[12:29] | we knew we were in trouble. | 我们意识到我们有麻烦了 |
[12:31] | But then when he said he was best friends | 可当他说他和苏魏灵 |
[12:32] | with Wei Ling Soo… | 是好朋友的时候 |
[12:33] | We’re great admirers. Who isn’t? | 我们简直高兴坏了 |
[12:36] | I don’t know if Howard told you, her name is Sophie Baker. | 霍华德告诉你了吗 那女人叫苏菲·贝壳 |
[12:39] | Have you heard of her or… | 你以前听说过她吗 |
[12:40] | No, I have not, but these | 从来没有 不过 |
[12:42] | sleazy fraudsters change identity every month. | 这种低级的骗子经常会换名字 |
[12:44] | And I omitted to mention she’s here with her mother. | 我忘记说了 她和她妈妈现在也在这里 |
[12:47] | Ah, now, that says a lot. Yeah. | 这已经能说明很多问题了 |
[12:49] | I hope you kept your eyes on her mother during the seance, | 那个女孩通灵的时候你们有盯着她妈妈吗 |
[12:52] | or did she dim the lights too low? | 她有没有把灯光调暗 |
[12:54] | Caroline, you were next to her. | 卡洛琳 当时你在她旁边 |
[12:55] | She held my brother’s hand, and she actually made the table rise. | 她抓着我弟弟的手 就让桌子升起来了 |
[12:58] | Well, I looked for the usual devices, of course. | 我找过了人们常用的那些工具 |
[13:00] | I thought maybe, wrist lifts, but they weren’t there. | 也许她抬了抬手腕 可我什么都没找到 |
[13:03] | She’s promised to try and make contact with my father, | 她许诺会试着和我父亲的灵魂建立联系 |
[13:06] | who died a year ago. | 我父亲已经过世一年了 |
[13:07] | As I was saying, your mother and your brother | 就像我说的 你母亲和你弟弟 |
[13:09] | are the victims of a dishonest ruse, | 都是这个骗局里的受害者 |
[13:11] | as your good sense tells you. | 正如你们所想 |
[13:13] | There is, of course, no spirit world, | 这世上根本没有鬼神之说 |
[13:14] | and even if there were, | 就算以前有 现在也没了 |
[13:15] | you can be sure that some | 可以肯定的是 |
[13:16] | little American gypsy would not be the one blessed | 那些美籍吉普赛人不可能受上天庇佑 |
[13:18] | to unlock its secrets. | 解开其中的玄机 |
[13:20] | Only a low-grade halfwit would fall for any of this. | 只有最低级的傻瓜才会信以为真 |
[13:22] | But you’re not implying that her mother and brother are halfwits? | 你不是在说她母亲和弟弟是傻瓜吧 |
[13:26] | Well, l haven’t met them yet. | 我还没有见过他们 |
[13:27] | But I’m sure they’re like most people, | 我相信他们和大多数人一样 |
[13:29] | desperate for a little hope in a world that has none, | 只是渴望一个不可能存在的世界 |
[13:31] | and willing to believe anything. | 才会将一切信以为真 |
[13:33] | Who shall we say you are? | 我们该怎么介绍你呢 |
[13:35] | Introduce me as Stanley Taplinger. | 就说我是斯坦利·塔普林吧 |
[13:38] | I’m an old friend in the import-export business. | 我是你们在进出口生意上的老朋友 |
[13:40] | Understood. Mr. Taplinger, up to the house. | 好的 塔普林先生 请上楼去吧 |
[13:42] | Come on, Howard. | 走吧 霍华德 |
[13:45] | What is that dreadful noise? | 这是什么声音 |
[13:47] | My brother. He practices serenading Sophie. | 我弟弟 他在为苏菲练习唱小夜曲 |
[13:50] | Both thine eyes are cute, too | 你的眼睛很美 |
[13:53] | What they do to me | 它们对我做了什么 |
[13:57] | Hear me holler | 让我听到内心的声音 |
[13:58] | I choose a sweet lollapaloosa | 我选择了一个美好的姑娘 |
[14:01] | In thee | 在你身上 |
[14:03] | Thou sweet, thou grand… | 你的亲切 你的高尚 |
[14:07] | Howard. | 霍华德 |
[14:08] | Brice, good to see you again. | 布莱斯 真高兴又见到你了 |
[14:10] | Can I introduce you to my friend Stanley Taplinger, | 我来为你介绍我的朋友斯坦利·塔普林 |
[14:12] | who’s going to be staying. Oh. | 他会在这儿住一阵子 |
[14:13] | Pleasure to meet you. How do you do, Mr. Taplinger… | 很高兴见到你 你好 塔普林先生 |
[14:16] | – Taplinger… – Taplinger. | -塔普林 -塔普林 |
[14:16] | Taplinger. | 塔普林 |
[14:17] | And, uh, how long will you be staying with us, Mister… | 先生 您打算在这里住多久 |
[14:19] | Oh, not very. I have business elsewhere. | 不会很久 我在其他地方还有生意 |
[14:21] | Ah, have you told him about Sophie? | 你和他提过苏菲了吗 |
[14:23] | Ah, now, is this the girl that can read minds and such? | 就是那个会读心术的女孩吗 |
[14:25] | – Well, she gets these sensory impressions. – And, what are they? | -她可以看到你意识中的景象 -那是什么 |
[14:29] | It’s hard to explain. She gets these mental vibrations. | 这个很难解释 她能和你产生心电感应 |
[14:32] | Her head vibrates? | 她的大脑会有反应吗 |
[14:35] | – Drink? – Thank you. | -喝一杯吗 -谢谢 |
[14:36] | – Have you got a whiskey, Brice? – I absolutely do. | -你喝威士忌吗 布莱斯 -好的 |
[14:39] | Now, Sophie looked into my eyes | 苏菲看着我的眼睛 |
[14:41] | and told me things about me she could never have known. | 告诉我一些她根本不可能知道的事 |
[14:44] | About old girlfriends I’d had, | 比如我以前的女朋友 |
[14:46] | and places I’ve traveled to. | 还有我曾去过的地方 |
[14:48] | Good heavens. You think she can do it with me? | 天哪 你觉得她也能看出我的吗 |
[14:49] | Oh, of course. Of course. | 当然了 |
[14:51] | Whatever questions you have about life, the hereafter… | 不管你对生活以及未来又怎样的疑问 |
[14:56] | Here, cheers. | 来 干杯 |
[14:57] | Perhaps there’s a departed loved one | 或者你旧时的恋人 |
[14:59] | you wish to make contact with. | 你想要联系的 |
[15:01] | Sophie sees all. | 苏菲全都能看到 |
[15:02] | She can predict the future. | 她可以预知未来 |
[15:03] | In short, she’s a visionary. | 简而言之 她是个预言家 |
[15:04] | And, I’m told she’s very pleasant to look at. | 听说她很漂亮 |
[15:06] | She’s a visionary and a vision. | 她是个美女预言家 |
[15:08] | Mother’s agreed to subsidize a foundation | 母亲同意出资建一个基金会 |
[15:10] | for the serious scientific study of her work. | 对她的工作进行严谨的科学研究 |
[15:13] | Well, after this buildup, I’m champing at the bit to meet her. | 得知这一举措后 我更急着想见她了 |
[15:16] | She’s doing some psychic readings over at the Lounsberrys’ house, | 她正在露恩贝里家通灵 |
[15:18] | but she should be here any minute. | 不过随时都会回来 |
[15:19] | And the Lounsberrys, I take it, are wealthy marks… | 我猜 露恩贝里家非常富裕 |
[15:21] | Uh, wealthy friends of yours | 是她也急着要拜访的 |
[15:23] | that she was anxious to meet? | 你非常富裕的朋友吧 |
[15:24] | Yes. How did you know? | 是的 你怎么会知道 |
[15:27] | Mental vibrations. | 灵光一闪 |
[15:29] | Excuse me? Telephone call, Mr. Catledge. | 打扰了 卡特莱奇先生 |
[15:32] | Your business office in Paris. | 巴黎办公室来电 |
[15:34] | Ah, excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[15:37] | He doesn’t make any business decision at all now | 他现在任何商业上的事 |
[15:41] | without consulting Sophie first. | 都得咨询苏菲后才决定 |
[15:43] | Well, what can I say, Howard? | 我能怎么说呢 霍华德 |
[15:44] | He’s a moron. | 他就是个傻子 |
[15:45] | Incidentally, Stanley, | 顺带说下 斯坦利 |
[15:47] | I think, if you could bottle | 如果你可以 |
[15:49] | up your sarcasm a little more skillfully, | 收起你的讽刺 表现得专业点 |
[15:51] | it might help us on our mission. | 也许对我们的任务会有所帮助 |
[15:52] | Howard, we all hope someone will come along with superpowers, | 霍华德 我们都想见到有超能力的人 |
[15:55] | but the only superpower certain to show up wears a black robe. | 但只有穿黑袍的人才有超能力 |
[16:01] | Speak of the devil and superpowers, I think that’s her now. | 说曹操曹操到 那个应该就是她了 |
[16:05] | Yeah, there she is. | 她来了 |
[16:20] | – Mr. Talmudge. – Hello. | -这是塔尔马奇先生 -你好 |
[16:22] | – Taplinger. – Hello. | -是塔普林 -你好 |
[16:23] | Oh, I’m so sorry. Yes. | 是的 很抱歉 |
[16:24] | You’re every bit as lovely as you’ve been described. | 你跟描述的一样漂亮 |
[16:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:30] | Wait. | 等等 |
[16:36] | Don’t say anything. I’m getting a mental impression. | 什么也别说 我正接收闪灵 |
[16:42] | Are you from the Orient? | 你来自东方吗 |
[16:44] | The Far East? | 远东 |
[16:46] | China? | 是中国吗 |
[16:48] | Have you been there, or do you visit? | 你在那里生活过 或拜访过吗 |
[16:52] | Why do you say China? | 为什么是中国 |
[16:54] | I just get that impression. | 只是脑子里闪过这一映象 |
[16:57] | And what impression is that? | 什么映象 |
[17:01] | No. | 不 |
[17:04] | Never mind. It’s fading, it’s fading. | 不重要了 它正在消失 |
[17:07] | And you are her sister? | 你是她姐姐吗 |
[17:09] | Mother. | 妈妈 |
[17:10] | Mother, are you? | 妈妈啊 |
[17:11] | What lovely cheek bones. | 颧骨真美 |
[17:13] | The apple does not fall far from the tree. | 有其母必有其女啊 |
[17:16] | And what do you do, Mr. Taplinger? | 塔普林先生 你是干什么的 |
[17:18] | – I’m… – Wait. | -我是 -等等 |
[17:20] | Sophie, what impression do you have | 苏菲 在你的映象里 |
[17:22] | of Mr. Taplinger’s line of work? | 塔普林先生是做哪一行的 |
[17:25] | I should say Sophie has psychic gifts. | 苏菲的确有灵媒的天赋 |
[17:27] | Has she? | 真的吗 |
[17:31] | It’s not immediately clear, although l… | 映象不是很清晰 不过 |
[17:34] | I do get some vibrations suggesting | 我得到了一些指引 |
[17:38] | that Mr. Taplinger travels a lot. | 塔普林先生经常周游列国 |
[17:41] | Well, those are excellent vibrations, | 那些指引很正确 |
[17:43] | but it’s not an unreasonable assumption, is it? | 不过这假设也说明不了什么 |
[17:45] | I mean, plenty of people travel in their work. | 很多人的工作都需要周游列国 |
[17:47] | I see Germany. Have you been to Germany? | 我看到了德国 你去过德国吗 |
[17:53] | Matter of fact, I did have some business recently in Berlin. | 实际上 我最近在柏林有些生意来往 |
[17:56] | I’d say, that’s pretty damn impressive. | 这实在太厉害了 |
[17:58] | Mr. Burkan, as you may know, is a magician, | 博甘先生 你认识吧 是个魔术师 |
[18:02] | who was brought here to observe my daughter and find flaws, | 别人带他来观察并揭穿我女儿 |
[18:05] | but has stayed to marvel at her. | 最后为被她的能力惊叹 |
[18:08] | Well, what have I stumbled upon? | 这我还是刚知道 |
[18:10] | You never told us what you did, Mr. Taplinger. | 你还没说你是干什么的 塔普林先生 |
[18:12] | Neither did your daughter. | 你女儿也没说 |
[18:18] | For some reason, | 出于某种原因 |
[18:21] | my mental impressions are cloudy. | 我的映象很模糊 |
[18:24] | Cloudy. | 多云 |
[18:25] | When you say your mental impressions are cloudy, | 当你说你的映象很多云的时候 |
[18:27] | are they cumulus clouds or cirrus? | 你指的是积云还是卷云 |
[18:30] | – Mr. Taplinger is a businessman. | -塔普林先生是个生意人 |
[18:33] | What line of business? | 哪种生意 |
[18:35] | The import-export trade. | 进出口贸易 |
[18:37] | I see Chinese letters. | 我看到了中文信件 |
[18:42] | Chinese writing. | 中文 |
[18:44] | Perhaps, you’re visualizing my laundry ticket. | 也许你看到了我的干洗票 |
[18:49] | You’re making fun of me. | 你在取笑我 |
[18:50] | I’m afraid you’re in the wrong part of the world. | 我恐怕你搞错地方了 |
[18:52] | I import coffee beans and cocoa from Brazil. | 我主要从巴西进口咖啡豆和可可 |
[18:57] | Well, I didn’t… Really? | 真没想到 真的吗 |
[19:00] | I think it’s time we moved along. | 我们是时候要走了 |
[19:02] | Sophie’s had a strenuous afternoon. | 苏菲忙了一个下午 |
[19:04] | It is rather exhausting communicating with the unseen world. | 跟未知世界沟通是件很累人的事 |
[19:08] | Well, I’m sure Mr. Taplinger | 我确信塔普林先生 |
[19:10] | doesn’t believe in the unseen world. | 不相信未知世界的存在 |
[19:12] | On the contrary, I always thought the unseen world | 相反的 我一直觉得 |
[19:14] | was a good place to open a restaurant. | 未知世界是开餐馆的好地方 |
[19:16] | Time to go, Sophie. | 走吧 苏菲 |
[19:18] | The spirits have to eat somewhere. | 幽灵也得吃东西啊 |
[19:20] | Mr. Taplinger is rather obnoxious. | 塔普林先生真是讨人厌 |
[19:24] | Obnoxious, but he’s not entirely unappealing. | 虽说讨人厌 也不是完全没吸引力 |
[19:28] | Congratulations, Stanley, | 恭喜你 斯坦利 |
[19:30] | you’ve managed to alienate | 一下午时间 |
[19:31] | the entire household in a single afternoon. | 你就成功得罪了整家人 |
[19:33] | Oh, she’s nothing I haven’t seen before. | 这些小伎俩我都见过 |
[19:35] | Pretty young thing with a stage mother who handles the promotion, | 年轻漂亮的女孩跟着她的经纪人妈妈 |
[19:38] | and who knows what else when the lights are out at the seance. | 谁知道通灵时灯一灭 会发生什么事 |
[19:41] | I want you to see her working. | 我要你看着她通灵 |
[19:43] | More importantly, | 更重要的是 |
[19:44] | I want to be there when you expose them. | 当你揭穿她们时 我要在场 |
[19:46] | Well, I mean, she’s not even a good actress. | 她的演技烂透了 |
[19:48] | “I… I get the impression of the Orient. China.” | 我 我映象里出现了东方 中国 |
[19:53] | What utter bilge. | 一派胡言 |
[19:54] | Well, I thought that was quite good, | 我觉得挺准的 |
[19:56] | considering you are Wei Ling Soo | 鉴于你的艺名是苏魏灵 |
[19:58] | and you have just been to Germany. | 而且你刚去过德国 |
[20:00] | Yes, it’s all very tantalizing. | 是的 这一切都很让人信服 |
[20:02] | Oh, careful, she’s tricky. | 小心点 她很狡猾 |
[20:04] | And yet, she’s a fraud, Howard. | 但她毕竟是个骗子 霍华德 |
[20:07] | Because there is no sixth sense. | 因为根本就没有第六感存在 |
[20:08] | There are five senses, and no spirit world. | 只有五感 没有幽灵世界 |
[20:10] | But there are coincidences. | 但是有样东西叫巧合 |
[20:12] | Maybe she’s made some lucky guesses, | 她只是运气好 猜对了 |
[20:14] | but we have to be careful not to build them into something more. | 我们还是得小心行事 别让他们察觉 |
[20:18] | Your daughter is going to try to make contact | 你女儿今晚准备与我 |
[20:21] | with my dear departed Harry tonight. | 亲爱的亡夫通灵 |
[20:24] | Well, she’s been waiting for the right moment. | 她一直在等待最佳时机 |
[20:26] | Sophie needs the proper vibrations. | 苏菲需要时机对了才能通灵 |
[20:29] | Now, of course, | 现在关键是 |
[20:31] | we need to purchase or build an establishment | 收购或是自己组建 |
[20:34] | – suitable for the operation of our foundation. – Of course. | -运作基金的组织 -当然 |
[20:37] | There will be various assorted costs, | 那会有很多杂七杂八的支出 |
[20:40] | and naturally, all the students will pay a fee. | 当然 所有学生都得交学费 |
[20:43] | And, I assume, profits will go into psychic research? | 所有的收入都会用于灵学研究吧 |
[20:47] | Oh, most of them, uh… | 大部分都是 |
[20:50] | Minus operating expenses and sundries. | 除去行政开支和一些杂费 |
[20:54] | You can count on my support. | 我会全力支持的 |
[20:58] | I’ve always known there had to be | 我一直认为 |
[20:59] | more to this life than meets the eye. | 眼见的并不是所有 |
[21:01] | How could it be that what we see is all there is to everything? | 怎么可能所见的就是事情的全部呢 |
[21:05] | And, that’s such a bleak thought. | 这想法真消极 |
[21:08] | Why would God go to so much trouble | 如果一切都将化为乌有 |
[21:12] | if everything comes to nothing? | 上帝何必费那么大劲呢 |
[21:15] | Well, Sophie is… | 苏菲是 |
[21:17] | Sophie is living proof | 苏菲证明了 |
[21:19] | that the world is alive with hidden things. | 世界上存在我们所无法看见的事物 |
[21:23] | She’s such an uplifting creature. | 她总是那么让人振奋 |
[21:26] | No wonder my son, Brice, is so smitten with her. | 难怪我儿子布莱斯会如此迷恋她 |
[21:31] | I’m always chasing | 我总在追逐 |
[21:34] | Rainbows | 彩虹 |
[21:38] | Watching clouds | 观察浮云 |
[21:41] | Drifting by | 随风飘 |
[21:45] | My schemes | 我的计划 |
[21:48] | Are just like all my dreams | 就如同我的梦想 |
[21:53] | Ending in the sky | 随着天际线消失无影 |
[22:00] | Some fellows look and find the sunshine | 有些人喜欢寻找太阳光 |
[22:04] | I always look and find the rain | 而我总是追寻着雨水 |
[22:08] | Some fellows make a killing sometime | 有些人有时总会有所收获 |
[22:11] | I never even make a gain | 而我却从未有过收获 |
[22:14] | Believe me | 相信我 |
[22:16] | I’m always chasing | 我总在追逐 |
[22:20] | Rainbows | 彩虹 |
[22:24] | Waiting to find a little bluebird in vain | 空等小蓝鸟的到来 |
[22:32] | You know that I’m in love with you? | 你知道我爱上你了吧 |
[22:33] | You mustn’t give your heart away so quickly. | 你不应该那么快交出你的心 |
[22:36] | You looked into my eyes, and without even knowing me, | 你看着我的眼睛 在不认识我的情况下 |
[22:39] | you knew me better than I know myself. | 比我还了解自己 |
[22:41] | You knew my dreams and my ambitions. | 你知道我的梦想我的雄心 |
[22:44] | Please, don’t tell me you’re in love with someone else. | 别告诉我你爱上了别人 |
[22:46] | Oh, no, no, of course not. | 不不不 当然没有 |
[22:49] | I never had time to fall in love. | 我一直没有时间去恋爱 |
[22:52] | Mother and I were always traveling, you know? | 你也知道 我跟妈妈一直到处游历 |
[22:56] | Unlike you, we’re members of the working class. | 跟你不一样 我们是工人阶级 |
[22:59] | That’s over. | 都结束了 |
[23:00] | I’m gonna take care of you | 我要好好照顾你 |
[23:01] | and pamper you for the rest of your life. | 一辈子把你捧在手心上 |
[23:04] | Do you like to travel? | 你喜欢旅游吗 |
[23:05] | I mean, on yachts? | 我的意思是坐游艇旅游 |
[23:07] | Do you like to go to parties | 你喜欢去参加派对 |
[23:09] | and buy jewels and clothes and go dancing? | 买珠宝买衣服和跳舞吗 |
[23:12] | I’m a very good dancer. | 我很会跳舞 |
[23:14] | I’m sure I could get used to yachts and jewels. | 我想我会习惯坐游艇和戴珠宝首饰 |
[23:20] | I had an interesting chat with Mr. Taplinger, as he’s called. | 我跟塔普林先生进行了一场有趣的谈话 |
[23:23] | You did? | 真的吗 |
[23:25] | Yeah, I’d say he has a classic neurotic personality disorder. | 他患有典型的神经质人格障碍 |
[23:29] | Yeah, brilliant parents who didn’t get along, | 有一对合不来的天才父母亲 |
[23:33] | closer to his aunt than his mother, | 从小姑姑比妈妈还亲 |
[23:36] | obsessed with mortality, | 迷恋死亡 |
[23:37] | believes in nothing, finds life to have no meaning. | 没有信仰 感到生活毫无意义 |
[23:41] | Just a perfect depressive, | 患有严重的抑郁症 |
[23:43] | with everything sublimated into his art, | 将一切升华到他的艺术中 |
[23:45] | and he is quite an artist. | 他还真是个艺术家 |
[23:48] | Oh, he began as an escape artist. | 他一开始是个逃脱大师 |
[23:51] | Interesting choice | 想逃离现实 |
[23:52] | if anyone ever wanted to escape from reality. | 选择做这个不错 |
[23:55] | But, like Freud, | 像弗洛伊德一样 |
[23:56] | he will not permit himself | 他不会因为 |
[23:58] | to be seduced by childish thoughts | 幼稚的想法更让人舒心 |
[24:01] | just because they’re more comforting. | 而允许自己变得孩子气 |
[24:03] | Very unhappy man. | 一个非常不幸的人 |
[24:07] | I like him. | 我喜欢他 |
[24:19] | – Ah, Miss Baker. – Hello. | -贝克小姐 -你好 |
[24:21] | Rested, I presume? | 休息完了吧 |
[24:23] | Uh, yes, I had a bath. I had a little nap. | 是的 我洗了个澡小睡了一会 |
[24:26] | And now, you’re refreshed. | 现在充满活力了 |
[24:28] | Well, no, not entirely. I had an unpleasant dream. | 不完全是 我做了个不好的梦 |
[24:32] | I’ve had my share. | 我也是 |
[24:34] | I dreamt I was being followed by a sinister Chinese. | 我梦到我被一个邪恶的中国人跟踪 |
[24:39] | You have the Far East on the brain. | 你脑子里一直想着远东 |
[24:41] | – What do you think it means? – I don’t know. | -那有什么寓意呢 -我不知道 |
[24:45] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[24:47] | I understand you’re holding a seance tonight. | 我得知你们今晚要通灵 |
[24:49] | She’s been waiting for the right moment, | 她一直在等待最佳时机 |
[24:51] | and now, she says, “The planets are in alignment.” | 而现在所有星球都在同一直线上了 |
[24:55] | And what do they have to be in alignment with? | 它们为什么要在同一直线上呢 |
[24:57] | Your vertebrae? | 像你的椎骨吗 |
[24:58] | Can you do the seance if someone in the room is a non-believer? | 如果屋里有无神论者 你可以通灵吗 |
[25:03] | And when… when you contact the spirits, | 当你通灵时 |
[25:06] | will we be able to see the souls? | 我们可以看到灵魂吗 |
[25:09] | And how are they different from ghosts? | 它们跟鬼魂有什么区别 |
[25:11] | Or are they ghosts? | 或者它们是鬼魂吗 |
[25:12] | I should think souls are quite different. | 我觉得它们是不一样的 |
[25:15] | – Have you ever heard of ectoplasm? – Ectoplasm? | -你听过外质这个词吗 -外质 |
[25:17] | Now, isn’t that a milky substance rather like yogurt? | 不是跟酸奶一样的乳白色物质吗 |
[25:20] | Oh, you are a joker, aren’t you? | 你就是个谐星 对吧 |
[25:22] | So, you’re saying it might look like yogurt, | 你的意思是 灵魂看起来像酸奶 |
[25:23] | but it will be Mrs. Catledge’s former husband. | 但却是卡特莱奇夫人的亡夫 |
[25:27] | Dinner. | 晚餐时间 |
[25:28] | Sophie, come to dinner. | 苏菲 吃晚餐去 |
[25:30] | Isn’t the light perfect, Mother? | 这光线多美啊 妈妈 |
[25:33] | Really, what exactly happens at a seance? | 通灵会上到底会发生什么 |
[25:37] | You know, I don’t believe you’re so naive | 不要以为胡编乱造 |
[25:39] | as you make out about the occult. | 我就会相信你很天真 |
[25:41] | I will admit, my Uncle Charles once attended a seance | 我的叔叔查尔斯参加过一个通灵会 |
[25:43] | where the medium made a lot of amazing things happen, | 那个灵媒制造了很多惊喜 |
[25:46] | and weeks later, she was unmasked and sent to prison, | 几周后 东窗事发 |
[25:48] | for defrauding people out of substantial sums of money. | 由于巨额诈骗而被送进监狱 |
[25:51] | Charles. Uncle Charles. | 查尔斯 查尔斯叔叔 |
[25:57] | Death by water. | 死于溺水 |
[25:59] | What did you say? | 你说什么 |
[26:02] | What? Oh, I was just… | 什么 我只是 |
[26:06] | I was receiving some mental impressions. Excuse me. | 我只是脑子里忽闪出一些映象 失陪了 |
[26:11] | Come, Stanley, let’s go to… | 走吧 斯坦利 我们去 |
[26:13] | You look stunned. | 你看起来很惊讶 |
[26:16] | I had an uncle who drowned many years ago. | 我有个叔叔几年前溺水身亡 |
[26:19] | And when I mentioned him, | 当我提到他时 |
[26:20] | she lapsed into a kind of fugue state | 她游离了一下 |
[26:22] | and muttered “Death by water.” | 喃喃自语道 溺水身亡 |
[26:24] | Well, she knew that my sister married | 她知道我妹妹三月七号 |
[26:27] | on March the seventh to a bank manager. | 嫁给了一个银行经理 |
[26:30] | There’s absolutely no way she could know that unless… | 她不可能知道的 除非 |
[26:33] | Oh, not you, too, Howard! No! | 不是连你也相信吧 霍华德 |
[26:35] | I’ll make short work of her tonight during the seance. | 我今晚在通灵会上一定要揭穿她 |
[26:41] | I would like us now to join hands, | 让我们手牵手 |
[26:47] | as we summon | 共同召唤 |
[26:50] | the unseen world. | 未知世界 |
[26:55] | Now, we’re here tonight to contact the soul | 今晚我们齐聚一堂 共同召唤 |
[27:00] | of the departed husband of Grace Catledge, | 格蕾丝·卡特莱奇的亡夫 |
[27:06] | father of Brice and Caroline. | 布莱斯和卡洛琳的父亲 |
[27:13] | Now, I will try to achieve | 我现在要尽量进入 |
[27:17] | a trance state. | 一个恍惚的状态 |
[27:27] | I’m falling deeper, | 我越陷越深 |
[27:30] | and deeper, | 越陷越深 |
[27:35] | into a trance. | 进入了恍惚状态 |
[27:38] | Harry Catledge, give me a sign. | 哈利·卡特莱奇 给我个暗示吧 |
[27:45] | Give us a sign! | 给我个暗示吧 |
[27:51] | Harry? | 哈利 |
[27:53] | Is that you, Harry? | 是你吗 哈利 |
[27:57] | Spirit? | 幽灵 |
[28:00] | Signal us once for “Yes.” | 敲一下表示肯定 |
[28:03] | Twice for “No.” | 敲两下表示否定 |
[28:07] | Harry, are you okay? | 哈利 你还好吗 |
[28:10] | Are you happy? | 你开心吗 |
[28:15] | Spirit, if you can hear me, | 幽灵 如果你能听见我说话 |
[28:21] | give me a sign. | 给我个暗示吧 |
[28:31] | That’s not possible. | 不可能 |
[28:37] | I mean, damn it, Stanley, we’ve both done levitations. | 该死的 我们都表演过悬浮 斯坦利 |
[28:39] | I once raised a real tiger, | 有一次我还升起了一只老虎 |
[28:42] | but we both have our tricks. | 可这都是有秘诀的 |
[28:43] | There was nothing supporting this candle, no threads, no wires, | 蜡烛上什么都没有 没有线拉着 |
[28:47] | it was floating until I brought it down. | 一直在空中飘着 直到我把它抓住 |
[28:52] | I… I was just telling Mr. Pepperidge here | 我 我在跟佩普里奇先生说 |
[28:55] | how marvelously you made | 你是多么神奇地 |
[28:57] | that candle float with no apparent support. | 在没有明显辅助的情况下让蜡烛悬浮空中 |
[29:01] | “Apparent,” I think, is the key word. | 我看 明显辅助这个词才是关键 |
[29:03] | Is it “Pepperidge,” Or “Talmudge,” Or “Taplinger?” | 你到底是佩普里奇还是塔尔马奇还是塔普林 |
[29:08] | Anyway, it was a wonderful, wonderful, super trick. | 总之 你的表现真的非常非常神奇 |
[29:12] | I mean, I grabbed the candle | 我是说 我抓到蜡烛的时候 |
[29:14] | and found absolutely nothing supporting it. | 没发现任何其他的东西 |
[29:17] | That’s because there’s nothing to find. | 那是因为根本没有其他东西 |
[29:20] | My daughter is not some commercial music hall attraction. | 我女儿又不是什么花瓶 |
[29:23] | She doesn’t do tricks. She is an adept. | 她可不是耍把戏的 她是内行 |
[29:27] | I hope I didn’t disappoint you at your first seance. | 你第一次参加招魂 我的表现还可以吧 |
[29:29] | Oh, I found it nothing short of perfection. | 特别完美 无可挑剔 |
[29:31] | Well done, madam. | 很不错 女士 |
[29:33] | I can’t even remember the last time I’ve seen Mother so happy. | 我都记不起来上次我妈这么开心是什么时候了 |
[29:35] | Will you join us? | 你和我们一起吗 |
[29:36] | We’re all going to hear some really hot music. | 我们要来点热辣音乐 |
[29:38] | Hot music? | 热辣音乐 |
[29:39] | – Come on, Sophie, come on. – Yeah, we… | -走吧 苏菲 走了 -是啊 我们… |
[29:41] | I thought you said “All this mental work was exhausting?” | 我记得你说你的工作是很费心劳力的 |
[29:43] | Oh, it is, but I love hot music. | 确实 但我很喜欢热辣的音乐 |
[29:46] | Well, I hope you’re not plagued tonight | 那祝你今晚不再受到噩梦的折磨 |
[29:48] | by the dream of the sinister Chinese. | 别再梦到凶恶的中国人 |
[29:51] | You know, I figured out who you represented. | 其实 我知道你是谁了 |
[29:54] | – Really? – Yes. | -是吗 -是的 |
[29:56] | When I was much younger, years ago, | 很多年以前 我还小的时候 |
[29:58] | I went and saw Wei Ling Soo. | 我去看苏魏灵的表演 |
[30:01] | Have you heard of him? | 你知道他吗 |
[30:02] | He’s a Caucasian who disguised himself as a Chinese, | 他是个爱装扮成中国人的白人 |
[30:06] | and he billed himself as the Great Oriental Wizard. | 把自己宣传成伟大的东方巫师 |
[30:09] | I see, and did you enjoy his performance? | 是吗 那你喜欢他的表演吗 |
[30:12] | I did, very much. He was brilliant. | 非常喜欢 他很棒 |
[30:15] | He, um, he vanished a live elephant. | 他 他居然将一头大象生生变没了 |
[30:18] | And it was just… | 那真是 |
[30:19] | I mean, it just was completely shocking, | 太让人震惊了 |
[30:22] | but of course, it was mechanical tricks | 不过当然了 那都是机械关窍 |
[30:24] | that one could learn with enough practice. | 只要勤加练习就能掌握 |
[30:26] | I see. And, your performance? | 是吗 那你的表演呢 |
[30:28] | Oh, I wouldn’t call it a performance. | 我觉得那不能叫表演 |
[30:30] | Well, call it what you will. | 那 随你怎么叫 |
[30:31] | I mean, it’s a type of trickery, | 反正都是鬼把戏 |
[30:33] | like card magic or vanishing an elephant. | 跟纸牌魔术还有把大象变没都一样 |
[30:36] | And I say you’re Mr. Wei Ling Soo. | 我觉得你就是苏魏灵先生 |
[30:39] | And I say there is nothing you can do that I cannot duplicate. | 我觉得你做的任何事情我都能重现 |
[30:43] | Oh, I don’t doubt it. You’re great. | 我相信 你很出色 |
[30:47] | But just because you can duplicate my miracles, | 但你能复制重现我的奇迹 |
[30:50] | in no way proves that mine are not real. | 不代表我的那些是假的 |
[31:06] | It was quite a display. | 真是表现不俗 |
[31:09] | I must say, she impresses me. | 我得说 她让我印象深刻 |
[31:11] | And you saw no signs of trickery? | 你也没看到什么使诈的痕迹 |
[31:13] | Not yet. | 还没 |
[31:15] | Well, let’s face it, Stanley, you came to unmask her, | 还是承认吧 斯坦利 你是来揭露她的 |
[31:18] | and she’s unmasked you. | 反而被她揭露了 |
[31:20] | On the one side, yes, | 从某个角度来看 是这样的 |
[31:22] | she’s pulling off these bewildering feats, | 她好像看穿了很多外人无法看透的壮举 |
[31:24] | and on the other remains the simple fact | 但另一方面 很简单 |
[31:26] | that what she’s claiming to do, | 她声称自己能做的事情 |
[31:28] | while exquisitely executed, is simply not possible. | 虽然策划实施的很周密 但根本是不可能的 |
[31:32] | But who’s to say what’s possible? | 但轮得到谁说可能不可能呢 |
[31:34] | I’m a physician, and new facts come to light, | 我是个医生 但新事物不停出现 |
[31:37] | new discoveries are made all the time. | 各种新发现层出不穷 |
[31:39] | Things we never dreamed possible. | 很多事情都是我们做梦都没想到的 |
[31:42] | To cure someone of blindness | 甚至是让一个人躺在沙发上 |
[31:44] | by having her lie on a couch | 讲述自己的童年 |
[31:46] | and talk about her childhood. | 就能治愈失明 |
[31:47] | I mean, who’d have thought? | 谁能想到呢 |
[31:49] | Yeah, but don’t you see | 没错 但难道你没发现 |
[31:50] | it challenges our whole concept of reality? | 这完全是对现实的挑战吗 |
[31:52] | I mean, if there’s an unseen world, | 我的意思是 如果真的有阴间 |
[31:54] | an afterlife, souls to contact, | 有来生 有可以招来的灵魂 |
[31:57] | mind reading, foretelling the future… | 可以读心 预测未来 |
[31:59] | Yes, it changes everything | 当今科学认知的一切 |
[32:00] | we’ve held to be scientifically accurate. | 都将被改变 |
[32:02] | It’s true. | 的确如此 |
[32:03] | If what she claims was possible, | 如果她说的有可能的话 |
[32:05] | everything would surely take on new meaning. | 所有的东西都会被赋予新的含义 |
[32:08] | And yes, very hopeful meaning. | 也是 充满希望的含义 |
[32:11] | To think, if there were more to life… | 试想 如果生命之外有更多… |
[32:14] | More what? | 更多什么 |
[32:15] | That life doesn’t end with death? | 不以死亡终结的生命 |
[32:17] | That the universe works by design? | 还是宇宙是被设计出来的 |
[32:19] | That God exists. | 上帝是存在的 |
[32:21] | All right, let’s not get carried away. | 好 咱们别跑题 |
[32:24] | The woman is a charlatan. | 这女人就是个江湖骗子 |
[32:26] | Because, depressing as the facts of existence are, | 因为 尽管存在的现实让人沮丧 |
[32:29] | they are the facts. | 但它依然是事实 |
[32:31] | There is no metaphysical world. | 根本没有超自然世界的存在 |
[32:33] | What you see out there is what you get. | 所见即所得 |
[32:37] | I think Mr. Nietzsche has | 我觉得尼采先生已经 |
[32:38] | disposed of the God matter rather convincingly. | 充分证明了上帝是否存在的问题 |
[33:49] | Good morning. | 早 |
[33:50] | May I? | 我能坐这吗 |
[33:52] | Did you sleep well, Mr. Taplinger? | 睡得好吗 塔普林先生 |
[33:55] | Or should I just call you by your Chinese name? | 还是应该叫你的中文名字 |
[33:58] | You are a very clever little humbug, Miss Baker. | 你还真是个聪明的骗子 贝克小姐 |
[34:03] | What are you doing today? | 今天有什么安排 |
[34:04] | I’m going bird-watching with Brice. | 和布莱斯一起去看鸟 |
[34:06] | Do you want to join us? | 要和我们一起吗 |
[34:08] | I can’t think of a more inane activity, | 看长翅膀的小东西 |
[34:09] | watching little winged creatures | 无意义地繁忙奔波 |
[34:11] | acting out nature’s pointless busywork. | 想不出更无聊的事了 |
[34:15] | Why don’t you join me instead? | 要不你跟我一起走吧 |
[34:17] | Where? | 去哪儿 |
[34:18] | I’m driving to Provence to visit my Aunt Vanessa. | 我要开车去普罗旺斯看望瓦妮莎姨妈 |
[34:21] | She’s a remarkable woman. | 她是个很出色的女性 |
[34:23] | We could have lunch. Chat? | 我们还可以共进午餐 聊聊天 |
[34:26] | Actually, get to know one another better. | 增进对彼此的了解 |
[34:28] | You think you’ll trick me into showing you how I deceive people. | 你觉得你能哄骗我说出骗人的秘密吗 |
[34:34] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[34:35] | I’m sure Brice Catledge can live | 布莱斯·卡特莱奇几个小时看不到你 |
[34:37] | without drooling all over you for a few hours. | 也不会有问题 |
[34:44] | I think I’d like to visit Provence. I’ve never been there. | 我觉得可以去普罗旺斯玩一圈 我从没去过 |
[34:59] | Tell me, doesn’t it ever trouble your conscience | 说说 欺骗可怜无知的卡特莱奇夫人 |
[35:00] | to fool that poor, empty-headed Mrs. Catledge | 让她相信她在和逝去的丈夫讲话 |
[35:04] | into believing she’s communicating with her departed spouse? | 你就没有一点罪恶感吗 |
[35:07] | I could just as easily ask you, | 我也可以问你 |
[35:09] | doesn’t it ever bother you to creep around, | 你到处乱晃 打碎别人的梦想和希望 |
[35:11] | dashing people’s dreams and hopes? | 不会良心不安吗 |
[35:14] | Not if their hopes are false. | 如果她们的希望是错误的就不会 |
[35:15] | Even if their hopes are false, | 即使他们的希望是错误的 |
[35:16] | if it helps them get through life? | 但如果有助于他们以后的生活呢 |
[35:18] | Then you admit you’re a fraud? | 那你承认自己是骗子了 |
[35:20] | I wonder if you get your cynicism from your grandfather, | 你这愤世嫉俗是不是从你祖父那里遗传下来的 |
[35:24] | the merchant seaman with the missing finger. | 那个缺根手指的商船船员 |
[35:31] | The missing toe. | 是缺根脚趾 |
[35:38] | Why are you staring at me? | 你盯着我干什么 |
[35:40] | Where are you from? | 你是哪里人 |
[35:42] | Kalamazoo. | 卡拉马祖[美国城市] |
[35:45] | It’s in Michigan. | 在密歇根州 |
[35:48] | And, you’re from London. | 你是伦敦人 |
[35:51] | I see a white house in Belgravia. | 我看到贝尔格莱维亚[西伦敦]一座白房子 |
[35:55] | Fourteen… No, 16. | 14号 不 16号 |
[35:59] | Wilton Crescent. | 威尔顿新月区 |
[36:02] | A piano. | 有架钢琴 |
[36:05] | Yes, that’s all correct and rather amazing. | 没错 你说的都对 很神奇 |
[36:08] | But I don’t buy it. | 但我还是不相信 |
[36:10] | ‘Cause I’m a rational man | 因为我是一个理性的人 |
[36:11] | who believes in a rational world. | 相信理性的世界 |
[36:13] | Any other way, lies madness. | 任何非理性的世界都太疯狂 |
[36:16] | You’d be happier if I was a fraud, | 我真是个骗子你就开心了 |
[36:19] | because then, your whole fixed worldview wouldn’t be shaken up. | 那样 你固有的世界观就不会动摇 |
[36:22] | No, it’s quite the opposite. | 不 恰恰相反 |
[36:24] | If you knew how much I don’t want you to be a fake… | 如果你知道我是多么不希望你是个骗子 |
[36:28] | Oh, but think how embarrassing it would be for you. | 那你得多尴尬啊 |
[36:31] | Your whole life, | 你穷尽一生 |
[36:33] | you spent publicly crusading against spiritualism, | 都在公开讨伐招魂术 |
[36:36] | and then, you’d have to come out with it | 然后你再公开声明 |
[36:39] | and say that you were wrong. | 说你错了 |
[36:40] | But I’m not wrong. | 可是我没错 |
[36:43] | Is that why Jenny dropped you? | 这就是珍妮 离开你的原因吗 |
[36:47] | How could you know about Jenny? | 你怎么知道珍妮 的 |
[36:50] | I see long, blonde hair. | 我看到长长的金色秀发 |
[36:54] | A wonderful laugh. | 爽朗的笑声 |
[36:58] | Yes, she had a lovely laugh. | 是啊 她的笑声很迷人 |
[37:01] | But who wants a pessimistic bore | 但有谁能受得了悲观厌世之人呢 |
[37:03] | who hides in his room all day and practices card tricks? | 整天闷在房间里 钻研纸牌魔术 |
[37:11] | No, I’ll tell you who wants a man | 不 我告诉你谁会喜欢 |
[37:12] | who locks himself in his room and practices all day, | 一个整天将自己锁在房间里钻研魔术的人 |
[37:14] | who’s a committed artist. | 一个有追求的艺术家 |
[37:16] | Olivia, my fiancée. | 奥利维亚 我的未婚妻 |
[37:20] | Yes. | 没错 |
[37:22] | Olivia. | 奥利维亚 |
[37:25] | I see a match made in heaven. | 我看到你俩真是天生一对 |
[37:50] | How can you eat so much? We just finished lunch. | 你怎么吃这么多 我们才吃完午餐 |
[37:53] | I told you I like to eat a lot. | 我告诉过你我饭量很大 |
[37:55] | George’s psychoanalyst says it’s because I need love, | 乔治的心理分析师说是因为我缺少关爱 |
[37:58] | but to me, I’m just hungry. | 但我 只是肚子饿而已 |
[38:01] | Oh, I mean, a lot of people need love, | 我是说 很多人都缺少关爱 |
[38:03] | but they don’t eat their way to it. | 不过他们不是通过吃来发泄 |
[38:06] | – You want some? – No, thank you. | -来点吗 -不了 谢谢 |
[38:09] | This is so beautiful. | 这里好美啊 |
[38:12] | It’s transient. | 只是暂时的罢了 |
[38:15] | Oh, Stanley, how nice of you to drop by. | 斯坦利 你能来我真是太高兴了 |
[38:18] | And you, I take it, must be Olivia. | 我猜 这位女士一定是奥利维亚吧 |
[38:22] | Olivia? No, no. | 奥利维亚 不 我不是 |
[38:24] | Olivia is a brunette. | 奥利维亚的头发颜色比我深 |
[38:27] | And she’s a bit taller than me, and she’s in London, | 比我高一点 而且她在伦敦 |
[38:33] | anxious to get on with her trip, | 迫不及待地想开始她的旅行 |
[38:35] | so, she can get to work on her book. | 好开始着手写书 |
[38:37] | I’m Sophie. | 我是苏菲 |
[38:38] | Oh, you must be the American | 那你一定是那位美国姑娘了 |
[38:40] | the Catledges say is so amazing. | 卡特莱奇一家说你非同寻常 |
[38:42] | Sophie fancies herself a telepathic, among other things, | 苏菲认为自己有心灵感应术 |
[38:45] | so, be careful what you think, Aunt Vanessa. | 所以您可得注意着点自己的思想 瓦妮莎姨妈 |
[38:47] | We all know the evil workings of your mind. | 我们可都知道您的邪恶想法 |
[38:50] | Stanley doesn’t believe in spiritualists. | 斯坦利是不相信圣灵巫术之说的 |
[38:52] | He thinks you’re all scoundrels. | 他认为你们都是江湖术士 |
[38:54] | If so, you’re a very pretty little scoundrel. | 即使如此 你也算一位姿色不凡的江湖术士了 |
[38:56] | If you see all and know all, | 如果你真能看到一切感知一切 |
[38:58] | where’s my aunt just been? | 你倒说说我姨妈最近去过哪儿 |
[39:01] | Somewhere for her health. | 一个疗养身体的地方 |
[39:05] | I see baths. | 我看到了浴缸 |
[39:08] | Is it sciatica or rheumatism? | 您得的是坐骨神经痛还是风湿 |
[39:12] | It’s sciatica, and that is quite remarkable. | 坐骨神经痛 真是了不起 |
[39:16] | How can you know that I’ve just come back from a spa in Italy? | 你怎么知道我刚从意大利水疗回来 |
[39:19] | However she knows, it’s not through mystical vibrations, | 不管她是怎么知道的 都不会是感应到的 |
[39:22] | I can assure you. | 我保证 |
[39:23] | Oh, he’s always been so militantly scientific, | 他总是这样激进地相信科学 |
[39:26] | even at six years old. | 六岁时就这样 |
[39:28] | One of the most kind and gentle local priests | 连当地一位特别和蔼可亲的牧师 |
[39:30] | said that Stanley was the only child in the neighborhood | 都说斯坦利是街坊邻里中唯一一个 |
[39:33] | destined for Hell. | 注定要下地狱的熊孩子 |
[39:34] | And why do you still trek to Italy, | 您为什么要跋山涉水地去意大利 |
[39:36] | to pay good money to bathe in plain spring water | 花大价钱泡普通泉水呢 |
[39:38] | that is not a drop more medicinal | 那儿的水跟你浴缸里的水一样 |
[39:40] | than the water that flows from your own tub? | 没有任何医疗保健功能 |
[39:42] | I’m not going to get into that debate with you, Stanley. | 我可不想和你争论 斯坦利 |
[39:45] | It brings out the beast in you. | 一开始争论你就没完没了了 |
[39:46] | And I see you still buy this stupid nostrum. | 我看您依然相信这种无聊的秘方 |
[39:49] | It’s a health mixture. | 那些都是对身体有好处的 |
[39:51] | Sulfur, molasses and barley extract. | 硫磺 糖浆 和大麦精华 |
[39:54] | It’s disgusting and is of no proven value. | 又难闻 又没有实际价值 |
[39:56] | Perhaps if I needed an emetic. | 估计我需要一剂催吐剂 |
[39:59] | Am I the only sane person left on this planet? | 我难道是这世上唯一的正常人吗 |
[40:01] | I love him, but he was always an incorrigible child. | 虽然我很喜欢他 但这孩子真是无可救药了 |
[40:04] | Can I give you something? | 要吃点什么吗 |
[40:05] | No, thank you. Just a little wine, if you have any. | 不 谢了 来点红酒就行 |
[40:07] | We’ve just eaten. | 我们刚吃过饭 |
[40:08] | Oh, are those little cakes? | 那是小糕点吗 |
[40:10] | Good heavens, are you seriously going to have more food? | 老天 你还要吃啊 |
[40:12] | They’re delicious. | 味道很棒哦 |
[40:14] | Unbelievable! | 真让人难以置信 |
[40:15] | Now, tell me something about my Aunt Vanessa’s colorful past. | 来 说点瓦妮莎阿姨的多彩过去吧 |
[40:18] | Oh, leave her alone, Stanley. | 别捣乱了行吗 斯坦利 |
[40:20] | She’s not a performing monkey. | 她又不是耍杂耍的猴子 |
[40:22] | Do you have a telephone I could use? | 我可以用一下您的电话吗 |
[40:24] | I’m sorry, it’s 3:00, | 不好意思 3点了 |
[40:25] | and I was supposed to meet Brice for drinks, | 我和布莱斯约好喝下午茶的 |
[40:27] | but I’m never gonna make it. | 但现在看来是不可能了 |
[40:28] | Brice Catledge is the young milksop who’s smitten with her, | 布莱斯·卡特莱奇被她迷得神魂颠倒 |
[40:31] | and ready to lay his family fortune at her feet | 那小子还准备带着自己的家产拜倒在她脚下 |
[40:33] | to subsidize her chicanery. | 好资助她继续行骗 |
[40:35] | Can you believe it? He serenades her. | 您相信吗 他还为她唱小夜曲呢 |
[40:37] | Well, it sounds rather romantic to me, | 我倒觉得这相当浪漫呢 |
[40:38] | but you wouldn’t know about such things, Stanley. | 不过你是不会懂的 斯坦利 |
[40:41] | It would mean joining the human race. | 这是我们人类才懂的事 |
[40:43] | – Here, it’s in the study. – Thank you. | -这边 电话在书房里 -谢谢 |
[40:46] | Why do you badger her? | 你怎么老针对她 |
[40:47] | She’s quite likable, even if she is a fraud. | 即便她是骗子 也非常讨人喜欢啊 |
[40:50] | You know, one of the cardinal rules of magic, | 魔术首要原则之一 |
[40:54] | is that the magician must never repeat his trick, | 就是魔术师绝对不能故技重演 |
[40:56] | because sooner or later, one begins to notice the move, | 因为早晚会有人注意他的举动 |
[40:58] | and he’s caught. | 他会被当场抓出破绽 |
[41:01] | – But the more I watch her… – Yes? | -但我对她的观察越多 -怎么样 |
[41:05] | The more I’m stumped. | 我越是困惑 |
[41:11] | Could she be real? | 她是真实存在的吗 |
[41:15] | I’m beginning to question my own common sense. | 我都开始怀疑我的直觉判断力了 |
[41:17] | I’ve always questioned your common sense. | 我一直都不相信你的直觉判断力 |
[41:19] | You’ve always been so certain about the world, Stanley. | 你把世界看的太明确 斯坦利 |
[41:23] | And I’ve always tried to teach you that we don’t know. | 我一直想让你明白我们不是万事通 |
[41:26] | We really don’t know. | 真的不是什么都知道 |
[41:28] | We’re just poor, limited human beings. | 我们只是可怜的 能力有限的人类 |
[41:32] | The goldfish doesn’t understand | 金鱼也不知道 |
[41:34] | who changes the water in his bowl. | 是谁把鱼缸的水换了 |
[41:35] | If only she was real, | 如果她是真实存在的 |
[41:37] | it would lift the dark cloud | 就可以拨开 |
[41:39] | that’s followed me since childhood. | 从儿时起就困扰着我的云雾了 |
[41:40] | Well, I’m sure your fiancee | 我相信你的未婚妻 |
[41:41] | would appreciate a sunnier bridegroom. | 会喜欢更加开朗的新郎官的 |
[41:43] | Olivia likes me as I am. | 奥利维亚就喜欢本真的我 |
[41:45] | Sophie agrees we’re a match made in heaven. | 苏菲都说我们是天作之合 |
[41:47] | Has she met her? | 她俩见过面吗 |
[41:50] | No, but there, she’s guessing correctly. | 没有 但在这一点上 她猜得很准 |
[41:53] | I told Brice I’d be late. | 我跟布莱斯说我会晚些过去 |
[41:55] | I said I was just sitting down for some of your blood pudding. | 我说我正在品尝您做的血肠 |
[41:58] | Tell me something about my aunt. | 说说我阿姨吧 |
[42:04] | Do you have a, uh, handkerchief | 您有没有手帕 |
[42:07] | or an article of clothing, | 或者穿过的衣服 |
[42:10] | or a piece of jewelry I could use? | 珠宝首饰什么的 |
[42:12] | Oh, my pearls. | 我有条珍珠项链 |
[42:23] | These are beautiful. | 真漂亮 |
[42:36] | I’m receiving a… | 我感受到了 |
[42:39] | It’s cloudy. | 隐隐约约 |
[42:40] | Cloudy… | 模糊不清 |
[42:41] | Here comes the usual theatrical fertilizer. | 开始装神弄鬼了 |
[42:51] | I see an important Englishman. | 我看到一位权高位重的英国男人 |
[42:58] | Perhaps a member of Parliament. | 似乎是位议员 |
[43:02] | Go on. | 请继续 |
[43:06] | A love affair. | 一段恋情 |
[43:07] | I don’t believe this. | 我不相信 |
[43:09] | You cannot possibly know this. | 你不可能连这事都知道 |
[43:12] | Something’s wrong. | 不对劲 |
[43:14] | What? | 怎么了 |
[43:16] | He’s married. | 他是有妇之夫 |
[43:17] | Aunt Vanessa? | 瓦妮莎阿姨 |
[43:18] | I see a sequence of trysts. | 一幕幕你俩幽会的情景 |
[43:20] | I’ve never told her anything. | 我绝没跟她提过这事 |
[43:21] | He cannot leave his wife. | 他不能和妻子离婚 |
[43:23] | No, he did not. | 对 他没能离婚 |
[43:24] | And so, you’re heartbroken. | 你黯然心碎 |
[43:26] | Sophie, you are a miracle. | 苏菲 你简直是个奇迹 |
[43:27] | And you vow never to love again. | 你发誓 从此终身不爱 |
[43:29] | How does she do it? | 她是怎么做到的 |
[43:30] | You’re never to marry. | 终身不嫁 |
[43:33] | This is beyond comprehension. | 根本无法合理解释 |
[43:34] | I’ve never known anything like it… | 从没见过这种奇事 |
[43:35] | But this is a symbol. This is… | 这是信物 这是 |
[43:37] | The breakup. | 诀别 |
[43:39] | He gave me those on our last evening together. | 在一起的最后一晚 他送给我的 |
[43:44] | – Sophie. – I’m so sorry. | -苏菲 -非常抱歉 |
[43:46] | Sophie, is there really a spirit world? | 苏菲 灵魂真的存在吗 |
[43:48] | Do you really tune in on it? | 你真的能和灵魂交流吗 |
[43:50] | Is there more? Have I not seen it? | 还有什么 我都错过了什么 |
[43:52] | Where have you been all my life? | 为什么没早点认识你啊 |
[44:01] | When did you first realize you had this extraordinary gift? | 你什么时候发现自己有特殊能力的 |
[44:05] | Oh, uh, very young. My… My teens. | 很早了 十几岁的时候 |
[44:08] | Well, and you saw it as a way to make money? | 然后你就靠这个赚钱吗 |
[44:11] | Well, my father abandoned us, and we were very poor. | 因为父亲抛弃了我们 当时穷的不行 |
[44:15] | Eh, but it’s astounding. | 真是难以置信 |
[44:16] | I mean, I’ve always believed that the dull, | 我曾认定生活是一成不变的 |
[44:19] | tragic reality of life is all there is, | 充满了悲剧 别无他物 |
[44:22] | but you are proof that there’s more. | 但是你证明了还有更多 |
[44:24] | More what? | 更多什么 |
[44:25] | More mystery, more magic. | 更多神秘 有魔力的东西 |
[44:32] | Oh, dear. | 天哪 |
[44:34] | Oh, boy. | 糟糕 |
[44:35] | You leave this to me. | 放心 交给我 |
[44:37] | I did get a little anxious vibration | 刚刚看到引擎冒烟的时候 |
[44:39] | when the engine started smoking back there. | 我是有股不详的预感 |
[44:41] | Don’t worry, I’m gonna have a look at this. | 别担心 我去瞧瞧 |
[44:44] | I actually have an inkling as to what this might be. | 我大概知道这是什么故障 |
[44:47] | What are you gonna do? | 你准备怎么做 |
[44:49] | Yes, not to worry. I think it’s the, um… | 不用担心 我觉得问题是 |
[44:51] | I’m actually… | 应该是 |
[44:53] | I’m actually rather good at dealing with anything mechanical. | 其实机械的东西我都很拿手 |
[44:56] | I don’t understand it! | 搞不懂 |
[44:57] | I put the entire engine back together, | 整个引擎都装回去了 |
[44:59] | and I still have these two pieces. | 怎么还多出来两样东西 |
[45:01] | This doesn’t make any sense. | 完全说不通 |
[45:03] | If I can just get these back into here… | 要是这些能装进去 |
[45:05] | You should hurry. It’s gonna rain. | 赶紧 要下雨了 |
[45:06] | Don’t worry, it’s not going to rain. | 别慌 不会下的 |
[45:07] | No, I think I can feel it already. | 会的 我感觉到了 |
[45:09] | – We gotta put the top up. – No, the skies are clear… | -快把顶篷翻起来 -一片云也没有 |
[45:12] | I have to be able to do this… | 得把这个装好 |
[45:13] | We have to put the top up. | 快把顶篷翻起来 |
[45:14] | It’s raining. | 下了 |
[45:15] | No, please just give me a minute. | 再给我一分钟 |
[45:16] | – Stanley, come on…- If I can only put this in here. | -斯坦利 快啊 -装进去就行了 |
[45:18] | – We have to put the top up. Come here! – All right. | -快来翻顶篷 快啊 -来了 |
[45:20] | You can’t put the top up without taking this off. | 你不拿掉这个 顶篷没法翻 |
[45:23] | – What? – How are you gonna do it without the… | -什么 -不拿掉你怎么翻 |
[45:24] | – The canopy has to come off. – Okay, okay. | -盖子得先拿掉 -明白 明白 |
[45:25] | Okay, lift! Pull! | 好了 用力抬 |
[45:27] | – It’s stuck, it’s stuck! – All right. | -卡住了 卡住了 -好吧 |
[45:29] | No, don’t do that. You’ll break it, you’ll break it… | 别硬来 要掰断的 |
[45:31] | It’s lightning, it’s lightning. We’ll be killed. | 闪电了 我们要被雷劈死了 |
[45:32] | – There must be a catch somewhere. – What do we do? | -肯定哪里有机关 -怎么办 |
[45:34] | Get under the car! | 快躲车底下 |
[45:36] | God, I don’t want to go under the car! | 天哪 我不要到车底下去 |
[45:37] | It’s fine. It’s on four rubber wheels! | 没事的 轮子是橡胶做的 |
[45:39] | It can’t get struck by lightning! | 不会被雷劈到 |
[45:40] | – Just go under there! – No! | -快躲下去 -不要 |
[45:43] | Oh, we’re gonna die! | 我们要死在这儿了 |
[45:45] | Run! Run! Run? | 快跑 快跑 |
[45:50] | Stanley! | 斯坦利 |
[45:54] | Come now, I’ve got you. | 快下来 我接着你 |
[45:55] | I’ve got you. | 小心 |
[45:57] | – Oh, my God. – Oh, God, we’re gonna die. | -天哪 -天哪 要死了 |
[45:58] | – I know this place! – What? | -我认得这里 -什么 |
[46:00] | I can… I know this place! | 我认得这地方 |
[46:01] | -How? We can go in there. | -啥地方啊 -可以进去躲雨 |
[46:03] | Let’s run! Go! Come on. | 快跑 快进去 |
[46:05] | – Will it be open? – Well, it’ll be open! | -门开着吗 -开着的 |
[46:06] | It always used to be open. | 以前就一直开着的 |
[46:10] | Goodness! I found that rather exhilarating. | 不得了 真是意外的惊喜 |
[46:14] | Goodness me. | 不得了 |
[46:15] | I can’t believe I found this place. | 竟然找到了这地方 |
[46:17] | – What is this? – It’s an observatory. | -这是哪里 -天文台 |
[46:18] | I came here as a boy. | 我小时候经常来 |
[46:19] | Oh, thank God we found it. | 谢天谢地我们找到这地方 |
[46:21] | We just got a little wet. It’s water. | 就是淋湿了 一点水而已 |
[46:23] | Are you kidding? We could’ve been struck by lightning. | 你开玩笑吗 我们可能被雷劈死 |
[46:25] | We could die of pneumonia. | 得肺炎而死 |
[46:28] | I’m sure your fiance wouldn’t be too pleased. | 到时候你未婚妻可高兴不起来 |
[46:29] | Well, this would never have happened if Olivia was here. | 要是奥利维亚在 也不会出那么多乱子 |
[46:32] | Oh, no? | 是吗 |
[46:33] | Um, she’s, uh, too competent. | 她非常能干 |
[46:35] | She’d have fixed the car. | 肯定能修好车子 |
[46:37] | Is she also a mechanic? | 她也很懂机械吗 |
[46:38] | Well, she’s one of those people who’s good at everything. | 她就是那种什么都很行的人 |
[46:41] | How lucky for you. | 你真幸运 |
[46:42] | Yes, I suppose so. | 是啊 |
[46:50] | What are you staring at? | 看什么呢 |
[46:52] | You have no idea how miserable you look. | 你淋得像个落汤鸡知道吗 |
[46:56] | I’m freezing. I mean, the… | 我冻死了 |
[47:00] | Can you hold me, or something? | 能抱着我吗 |
[47:02] | I can offer you my waistcoat. | 我可以把背心给你 |
[47:04] | No, you’re wetter than I am. | 你衣服湿的更厉害 |
[47:05] | Just put an arm around me, or you know… | 用手臂抱着我 |
[47:08] | Body heat, it’s… | 体温比较暖和 |
[47:13] | My aunt used to bring me here as a boy. | 小时候阿姨常带我来这儿 |
[47:15] | The roof opens up. | 屋顶可以打开 |
[47:17] | Oh, really? | 真的吗 |
[47:19] | You can see the universe. | 可以看见宇宙 |
[47:21] | It’s menacing. | 有点吓人 |
[47:22] | Can you open it? | 现在能打开吗 |
[47:24] | I hardly think that’s the brightest idea at the moment. | 我不觉得这是个好主意 |
[47:26] | We just ran away from that. It’s still up there. | 好不容易躲进来 雨还下着呢 |
[47:28] | Oh, right, right. | 对 对 |
[47:31] | Just have to wait it out. | 等雨停吧 |
[47:38] | What was so menacing about the universe? | 宇宙有什么吓人的 |
[47:41] | The size. | 大啊 |
[47:43] | Of course, I was much smaller, then. | 也可能因为当时我还小 |
[47:48] | Poor Howard’s car. | 霍华德的车遭殃了 |
[47:51] | Are you a little warmer now? | 暖和点了吗 |
[47:56] | Tell me, with all your powers of prognostication, | 你既然拥有这样的特殊能力 |
[47:59] | could you have ever predicted, | 当年初次看到我在舞台上 |
[48:01] | when you first saw me vanishing an elephant | 穿着中国戏服 把大象变没了的时候 |
[48:03] | onstage in my Chinese ensemble, | 有没有预见到 |
[48:05] | that you and I would one day | 我俩后来的某天 |
[48:07] | end up in a deserted celestial observatory | 会在法国南部相遇 还因为暴雨 |
[48:10] | in a rainstorm in the south of France? | 躲进了废弃的天文台 |
[48:13] | It’s highly ironic. | 造化弄人 |
[48:15] | It’s morbid. | 简直有点疯狂 |
[48:19] | I feel sleepy. I’m going to have a little nap. | 有点困了 我稍微睡一会儿 |
[48:41] | The rain stopped. | 雨停了吗 |
[48:44] | It stopped a while ago. I didn’t want to wake you. | 停了一会儿了 不想叫醒你 |
[48:48] | You looked too peaceful sleeping. | 看你睡得挺香 |
[48:51] | Yes, it’s the first peaceful sleep I’ve had in a very long time. | 是啊 很久没睡过太平觉了 |
[48:55] | Does this thing open the roof? | 这是打开屋顶用的吗 |
[48:57] | Yes, let me show you. | 对 我开给你看 |
[49:00] | I’ve never forgotten this. | 一直没忘记 |
[49:17] | You find that menacing? | 你觉得这吓人吗 |
[49:20] | No. | 不吓人 |
[49:27] | I’d say it was pretty romantic. | 我倒觉得挺浪漫的 |
[49:36] | Who stole my heart away | 是谁偷走了我的心 |
[49:40] | Who makes me dream all day | 是谁令我整日迷梦不醒 |
[49:44] | Dreams I know can never come true | 诚然美梦终是幻想 |
[49:48] | Seems as though I’ll never be blue | 蓝色愁云一去不复返 |
[49:52] | Who | 是谁 |
[49:55] | Means my happiness | 为我带来无限欢乐 |
[49:57] | Who | 是谁 |
[49:59] | Would I answer yes to | 她的心愿我都全力满足 |
[50:03] | Well, you ought to guess who | 你猜伊人是谁 |
[50:06] | Who? | 是谁 |
[50:07] | No one, but you | 不是别人 正是你 |
[50:10] | Penny for your thoughts. | 你在想什么 |
[50:15] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[50:17] | Well, you know what my thoughts are? | 想听听我的计划吗 |
[50:19] | I’ve already told you I want to marry you. | 你知道 我想娶你为妻 |
[50:21] | That we’ll get married at summer’s end at the Donaldsons’ yacht. | 夏末我们就在唐纳德森号游艇上举办婚礼 |
[50:24] | It’s enormous, and it can accommodate | 游艇超大 你想请多少客人 |
[50:26] | all the guests we’d want to have. | 就请多少客人 |
[50:28] | And then after the wedding, | 婚礼之后 |
[50:29] | we sail it, with those who wish, | 我们和愿意留下的客人一起 |
[50:31] | from Monaco to Greece, | 开着游艇 从摩纳哥玩到希腊 |
[50:33] | and then we honeymoon on the Greek Islands. | 在希腊小岛上度蜜月 |
[50:35] | What do you think? | 你觉得如何 |
[50:39] | That’s pretty swanky stuff for a girl from Kalamazoo. | 对一个卡拉马佐的姑娘来说 真是豪气 |
[50:43] | And then we’ll live in Europe. | 然后我们就住在欧洲 |
[50:44] | You’ll run your foundation. You’ll be world-famous. | 你经营基金会 到时候就是大名人了 |
[50:47] | I’ll be so proud of you. | 真为你感到骄傲 |
[50:48] | You know, my mom has been so happy since you’ve been here. | 自从你来到这儿 母亲开心很多 |
[50:51] | Before you came, she was so glum, and now she’s all aglow. | 从前她总是郁郁寡欢 如今又容光焕发了 |
[50:57] | Pierre! Bring the boxes up to mademoiselle’s room. | 皮埃尔 把箱子搬去这位小姐屋里 |
[51:00] | Merci! | 多谢 |
[51:01] | What are those? | 是什么东西 |
[51:03] | Well, you know those dresses | 之前去镇上散步 |
[51:04] | you were fawning over when we walked through town? | 你看中的那些衣服 |
[51:06] | I got them for you. All of them. | 我给你买回来了 全买了 |
[51:09] | I told you I was gonna pamper you. | 我说过会好好照顾你的 |
[51:13] | Who? | 是谁 |
[51:15] | Shall I sell the beach house on the Jersey Shore? | 要不要卖掉泽西海岸的海滨别墅呢 |
[51:21] | Then, I won’t. | 那就不卖了 |
[51:22] | I really didn’t want to. | 其实我也不愿意 |
[51:24] | It has such sentimental meaning. | 我们对那座房子很有感情 |
[51:26] | I’m so glad you said that, Harry. | 你说不卖真是太好了 哈利 |
[51:28] | Go on. | 继续问吧 |
[51:31] | Harry, I hope this question doesn’t embarrass you, | 哈利 希望这个问题不会让你为难 |
[51:35] | but I have to ask it. | 我必须得问一问 |
[51:39] | Were you always faithful to me? | 你对我是一心一意的吗 |
[51:44] | I knew it! | 我就知道 |
[51:46] | Certain so-called friends of mine suggested otherwise, | 身边一些刻薄的朋友散布谣言 |
[51:49] | that you had a long affair with Sally Summers. | 说你和萨利·莎莫有很长一段婚外情 |
[51:55] | No, I really didn’t believe it. | 我从未真的相信他们 |
[51:58] | But I’m ashamed to admit, I did wonder. | 说来惭愧 我也怀疑过你 |
[52:01] | Oh, Harry… | 哈利 |
[52:03] | I’m so relieved to know that I was the only one. | 知道你只爱我一个人 真是松了一口气 |
[52:09] | I… I was the only one, wasn’t I? | 你只爱我一个 对吗 |
[52:17] | How wonderful you make me feel. | 你总是能逗我开心 |
[52:21] | Well, look who’s strolling the grounds this morning! | 瞧瞧是谁出来放风了 |
[52:23] | Why aren’t you in your room, practicing? | 怎么没在屋里埋头苦练 |
[52:25] | I’m too excited to lock myself away. | 心情太激动 坐不住 |
[52:27] | What are you and Brice up to? | 你和布莱斯在忙什么 |
[52:28] | Brice is away for the week, in Paris. | 布莱斯去巴黎了 待一个礼拜 |
[52:30] | Mother and I are going swimming. | 我和母亲准备去游泳 |
[52:32] | I’m sure swimming isn’t your favorite pastime. | 你一定对游泳不感兴趣 |
[52:35] | Nonsense. I accept your invitation. | 胡说 我接受邀请 |
[52:37] | Just need to buy a bathing suit, | 让我去买件游泳衣 |
[52:38] | and I’ll, uh, meet you by the pool. | 咱们泳池见 |
[52:39] | We’re not going to the pool. | 我们不去游泳池 |
[52:41] | We prefer to swim off the rocks. | 我们更喜欢下海游 |
[52:42] | The rocks? Even better. | 下海 那更棒了 |
[52:44] | Live dangerously, I say. You only live once. | 敢于冒险 青春只有一次 |
[52:47] | Or maybe two or three times, | 如果命大的话 |
[52:48] | depending on your supply of ectoplasm. | 说不定还能死里逃生两三次 |
[52:51] | You are a much better swimmer | 你游得不错 |
[52:52] | than I would have imagined. | 比想象的好多了 |
[52:54] | I’m also a much better dancer. | 我还是个跳舞高手呢 |
[52:56] | Really? You must take me dancing sometime. | 真的吗 下次一定请我跳一支舞 |
[52:58] | Perhaps I shall, | 没准我会的 |
[53:00] | now that life is no longer weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. | 生活不再令人厌倦 不再陈腐贫乏 不再一无是处 |
[53:04] | Oh, that’s from something. | 哪里听到过这句话 |
[53:06] | Is that Dickens? | 是狄更斯说的吗 |
[53:08] | Oh, dear, poor thing. | 可怜的孩子 |
[53:09] | Madam, your wunderkind has much catching up to do. Huh? | 女士 你家的神童还有好多要学的呢 |
[53:13] | Isn’t that Dickens? | 难道不是狄更斯吗 |
[53:14] | That’s Dickens. | 就是狄更斯 |
[53:37] | The Seventh is actually one of my favorites | 贝多芬的交响曲作品里 |
[53:39] | of Beethoven’s symphonies, | 第七交响曲是我的最爱之一 |
[53:40] | but if you haven’t heard them, | 如果你没听过 |
[53:42] | the string quartets are sublime. | 反正弦乐四重奏真是棒极了 |
[53:44] | Especially the late ones, the 15th and the 16th. | 尤其听到后头 第15章和第16章 |
[53:48] | Of course, they are rather intellectually demanding, | 当然 欣赏这些需要很高的学识基础 |
[53:50] | but that’s the thing about intelligence. | 不过学识这样东西 |
[53:51] | You must never despair. | 永远不能灰心丧气 |
[53:53] | Yours can be raised. | 你努力就能学好 |
[54:04] | You know, it’s extraordinary. | 今天真是不同寻常 |
[54:06] | I have smelled these flowers 100 times, | 这些花儿 我闻了不下百遍 |
[54:09] | and yet I have never really smelled them until now. | 然而直至此刻 我才真正知其芳香 |
[54:13] | What a pity. | 可惜了 |
[54:15] | All the rest of the human race that you consider boobs, | 人世间被你认定愚蠢的众生 |
[54:18] | smelling flowers and you all left out. | 都知道花儿芳香 唯独你不知 |
[54:21] | Now, wait. Yes. | 等等 没错 |
[54:23] | They… They’ve enjoyed, but mindlessly, | 他们是闻到了 但却不明所以 |
[54:23] | They… They’ve enjoyed, but mindlessly, | 他们享受花香时 是盲目的 |
[54:26] | because they never thought. | 因为他们从未思索过 |
[54:27] | They never… They never stopped | 从未停下来 |
[54:29] | for a moment to consider what a rotten deal it all appears to be. | 认真考虑过 人生看起来是如此残酷 |
[54:33] | To be born, to have committed no crime, | 一出生 没有犯下任何罪行 |
[54:36] | and yet to be sentenced to death. | 却已被判了死刑 |
[54:39] | Ah, but notice I say, “appears to be.” | 但留意我说的是 看起来是 |
[54:43] | Alvin, hello. It’s Stanley Crawford. | 埃尔文 你好 是我 斯坦利·克劳福德 |
[54:46] | Yes, Wei Ling Crawford. | 魏灵·克劳福德 |
[54:48] | How are you? | 你好吗 |
[54:50] | Good, splendid. | 很好 好极了 |
[54:51] | Listen, Alvin, I have the story of a lifetime for your paper | 听着 埃尔文 我这有一个绝无仅有的故事 |
[54:55] | and I wanted you to have it first. | 我想让你先报道 |
[54:57] | No… Well, yes, it is a… | 不是 算是 |
[55:00] | It’s a theatrical piece, but it’s… | 算是一场秀 |
[55:02] | It’s much more than that, much more. | 但是不仅于此 |
[55:04] | It’s science, it’s… | 是科学 |
[55:06] | It’s philosophy, it’s religion. | 是哲学 是宗教 |
[55:15] | Brice is coming home tonight from Paris. | 布莱斯今天晚上就从巴黎回来了 |
[55:17] | The week went so fast. | 这一周过得好快 |
[55:20] | Have you decided to accept Brice’s marriage proposal? | 你决定要接受布莱斯的求婚了吗 |
[55:25] | He is pushing me very hard. | 他确实逼得很紧 |
[55:27] | Well, I’d grab it if I were you. | 如果我是你的话我肯定答应 |
[55:29] | I mean, it’d be logical. | 答应才是符合逻辑的选择 |
[55:30] | An uneducated nobody | 没受过教育的无名小卒 |
[55:31] | from some ridiculous-sounding city, | 来自某个名字很荒谬的城市 |
[55:33] | gifted, miraculously, through no achievement of your own, | 有天赋 惊人的天赋 但没有自己的成就 |
[55:37] | and now you’ve developed a taste for high living… | 现在培养出了高端的品位 |
[55:40] | Yachts, motorcars. | 游艇 汽车 |
[55:43] | You know, Stanley, | 要知道 斯坦利 |
[55:45] | I’m not quite as desperate as you make me out to be. | 我并不像你说的那么饥不择食 |
[55:50] | There have actually been a number of, | 实际上有不少 |
[55:53] | I don’t know, substantial men who have fallen in love with me. | 富裕的男士爱上了我 |
[55:56] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[55:58] | Well, you could’ve fooled me. | 我是看不出来你的出身 |
[56:00] | Although, with the ability you have, | 不过 以你的能力 |
[56:02] | one does automatically become intriguing… | 人确实会不由自主地对你感到好奇 |
[56:06] | And you do have agreeable features, | 你的外貌也确实不差 |
[56:08] | but it’s your gift, I’m sure, which is… | 但我肯定 是你的天赋 |
[56:12] | Well, l wouldn’t say charming, but it is impressive. | 我不会说迷人 但确实令人印象深刻 |
[56:17] | I mean, even you just said I have agreeable features. | 甚至是你 刚也说了我的外貌不差 |
[56:21] | They’re more than agreeable. | 不止是不差 |
[56:23] | Provided the light hits you just so. | 前提是光线打得恰到好处 |
[56:25] | Can I ask what time of day that might be? | 我能问问那是一天中的什么时候吗 |
[56:28] | Just in case I ever need to look my best for a job interview? | 以防万一我需要以最佳状态参加工作面试 |
[56:32] | Dusk. You’re prettiest at about 8:20 | 黄昏 你在夏天大约8:20的时候最美 |
[56:35] | in the summer, when the light is fading. | 当天色渐弱的时候 |
[56:37] | Oh, I see, the light must be fading, | 我懂了 天色要渐弱才行 |
[56:39] | so that I’m not too visible. | 这样我就不会太显眼 |
[56:42] | Exactly. I’m thinking when I do the vanishing elephant trick, | 正是 我在想我变消失大象的魔术时 |
[56:45] | you must be lit precisely as I light the elephant. | 应该按我给大象打光的方法来给你打光 |
[56:49] | I don’t think I’ll pursue that. | 我想还是算了 |
[56:52] | You coming to the ball, at the palace? | 你来参加舞会吗 |
[56:55] | Of course I am. | 当然去 |
[56:57] | My whole life I’ve wanted to go to a ball like that. | 我一生都想参加那样的舞会 |
[57:00] | Do you have a date? | 你有舞伴吗 |
[57:02] | I do, indeed. | 确实有 |
[57:03] | I’m going with the most charming woman in the south of France. | 我要和南法最迷人的女士一起去 |
[57:06] | My Aunt Vanessa. | 瓦妮莎阿姨 |
[57:09] | I like her. | 我喜欢她 |
[57:11] | I am going to dance and drink | 我要起舞纵饮 |
[57:13] | and enjoy all the things you have brought to my life. | 享受你为我的人生带来的一切 |
[57:16] | Maybe you and I can even have a dance together. | 也许你我甚至可以共舞一曲 |
[58:43] | Didn’t you say that we might have a dance together? | 你不是说我们可以共舞一曲吗 |
[58:45] | Ah, your mental vibrations told you my feet are killing me. | 你的心灵感应告诉你我的脚疼死了 |
[58:49] | Please, be my guest. | 请 |
[58:50] | She so appreciates your support. | 她很感谢你的支持 |
[58:52] | Aunt Vanessa? | 瓦妮莎阿姨 |
[59:22] | You know that you’re the only person tonight | 你是今晚唯一一个 |
[59:24] | who hasn’t made a comment on my appearance. | 没有对我的外表做出评论的人 |
[59:28] | I’m overwhelmed, Sophie. | 我还没有回过神来 苏菲 |
[59:30] | I never dreamed you could look this beautiful. | 我做梦都想不到你会如此美丽 |
[59:33] | That’s more like it. | 这还差不多 |
[59:36] | You must have moved mountains to achieve this effect. | 你一定想尽了千方百计才达到这种效果 |
[59:39] | Thanks. | 谢了 |
[59:41] | And this is all without the added benefit of the lighting | 而且这还没有加上 |
[59:44] | that you give your elephant. | 你给你的大象打的光 |
[59:47] | You know, tomorrow I’m doing that press conference about you. | 明天我要召开关于你的记者招待会 |
[59:53] | Tell me, um, Stanley. | 告诉我 斯坦利 |
[59:58] | Apart from my gift, | 除了我的天赋 |
[1:00:01] | which has changed your life so… | 改变了你的人生的天赋 |
[1:00:06] | Have you not, in the… | 你有没有 |
[1:00:10] | In the time that we’ve spent together, | 在我们共同度过的时光里 |
[1:00:14] | had any other | 有没有 |
[1:00:17] | thoughts about me? | 关于我的想法 |
[1:00:20] | Well, I’ve already told you, | 我已经告诉过你了 |
[1:00:21] | I’m in awe of you. | 我对你感到惊叹 |
[1:00:23] | I don’t mean as a mystic. | 我不是说作为一个神秘主义者 |
[1:00:25] | I’m… | 而是 |
[1:00:27] | I mean as a woman. | 作为一个女人 |
[1:00:31] | As a woman? | 作为一个女人 |
[1:00:33] | What an odd question. | 奇怪的问题 |
[1:00:34] | I’ve never technically regarded you as a woman. | 我从未将你看做一个女人 |
[1:00:37] | You were a charlatan who turned the tables on me, | 你之前是个骗子 对我掀过桌子 |
[1:00:40] | and now I feel both humbled and proud. | 现在我感觉谦卑而自豪 |
[1:00:42] | You’re proud of me? | 你为我感到自豪 |
[1:00:45] | You? No, I’m proud of myself | 你 不是 我为自己感到自豪 |
[1:00:47] | for being big enough to admit that I was wrong | 足够成熟可以承认自己这么多年来的 |
[1:00:49] | and foolish all these years. | 错误和愚蠢 |
[1:00:51] | I’ve been rather snobbish and, uh, and rude. | 之前的我相当轻蔑而粗鲁 |
[1:00:54] | Condescending about other people’s faith. | 对他人的信仰不屑一顾 |
[1:00:57] | So you never thought about me as a female? | 所以你从未将我当做女性考虑 |
[1:01:02] | Well, I was always certain you were not of my sex, | 我很确定你的性别与我的不同 |
[1:01:04] | if that’s what you’re asking. | 如果你是想问这个 |
[1:01:06] | And quite good to look at. | 而且看起来也挺好看 |
[1:01:07] | I mean, comparatively. | 相对来说 |
[1:01:09] | I’ve exposed some pretty unattractive mediums, | 我见过一些相当不吸引人的灵媒 |
[1:01:12] | a number of horrible-looking creatures. | 有几个长相相当吓人 |
[1:01:14] | You do understand, I’m seriously considering | 你意识到了吗 我在认真地考虑 |
[1:01:17] | marrying Brice Catledge? | 要嫁给布莱斯·卡特莱奇 |
[1:01:20] | Well, I think you’d be insane not to. | 如果你不嫁那才是疯了 |
[1:01:22] | You don’t see it as | 你完全不觉得 |
[1:01:25] | a little hasty of me? | 我有点轻率 |
[1:01:28] | Well, it’s you who can foretell the future, | 你可以预见未来 |
[1:01:30] | and I’m sure your vibrations are very positive. | 我相信你的感应一定很乐观 |
[1:01:33] | And common sense would say that this man | 而且以常理来看 这个男人 |
[1:01:35] | is a tremendous catch for you. | 是个极好的对象 |
[1:01:36] | Far beyond what you could hope, given your trivial resume. | 以你卑微的经历 远超你的奢望 |
[1:01:40] | And of course, now that you’re emerging as a… | 当然 现在你的名望渐涨 |
[1:01:42] | As a phenomenon, you’ll always be able to do quite well, | 你确实可以保证收入不菲 |
[1:01:45] | financially, although nothing like the Catledge fortune. | 但跟卡特莱奇家的财富比起来不足以道 |
[1:01:48] | And most of your time will be spent with your… | 你的大部分时间会花在 |
[1:01:50] | Your foundation, where he’ll be a great help. | 你的基金会上 他也会是个好帮手 |
[1:01:54] | So the time that we’ve spent together, | 所以我们共度的时光 |
[1:01:56] | has just had | 对你来说 |
[1:01:59] | no impact on you | 毫无影响 |
[1:02:02] | whatsoever? | 毫无意义 |
[1:02:06] | I say, don’t… | 等等 |
[1:02:08] | You don’t tell me you’re experiencing romantic feelings for me? | 你不是对我有了感情吧 |
[1:02:13] | What if I was? | 如果是呢 |
[1:02:15] | Well, that’s absurd. | 那太荒谬了 |
[1:02:16] | You imagined that you and I… | 你想象你和我 |
[1:02:22] | Isn’t it enough you’ve opened my eyes to the joy of living? | 你已经让我见识到人生的美好 还不够吗 |
[1:02:26] | I mean, you’ve conquered my mind. | 你已经征服了我的头脑 |
[1:02:27] | Do you, do you also need to conquer my heart? | 还有必要征服我的心吗 |
[1:02:30] | I just thought, in the time that we had spent together | 我只是在想 我们共度的时光 |
[1:02:34] | that you… | 你 |
[1:02:35] | Don’t misunderstand me. | 不要误会 |
[1:02:37] | I hold you in the highest possible esteem, | 在我心中你的地位绝对崇高 |
[1:02:39] | and tomorrow, I am prepared to tell the world as much. | 明天 我也将如此告知世界 |
[1:02:42] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[1:02:50] | Ah, there you are, Stanley. | 你在这儿 斯坦利 |
[1:02:52] | I don’t know about you, but I danced till dawn. | 不知道你怎么样 我是起舞至天明 |
[1:02:56] | Can you believe the little medium has grown fond of me? | 你能想象那个小灵媒居然喜欢上了我吗 |
[1:02:58] | Well, why shouldn’t she? According to the newspapers, | 为什么不 根据报纸的消息 |
[1:03:00] | you’re her greatest press agent. | 你是她最大的媒体介绍人 |
[1:03:02] | No, no, I mean… I mean, she’s emotionally taken with me. | 不 我是说 她对我动了情 |
[1:03:04] | I believe she fancies herself falling in love with me. | 我想她觉得自己爱上了我 |
[1:03:07] | But you’re both spoken for. | 但你们俩都已经有所属了 |
[1:03:08] | I know. It defies all reason. | 我知道 这违背了一切常理 |
[1:03:10] | She’s on the verge of capturing a rich young man, | 她眼看就要抓住一个钻石王老五 |
[1:03:13] | dullard that he is. | 虽然有点笨 |
[1:03:14] | And Olivia and I are, by her own vibrations, | 而奥利维亚和我 以她的感应来说 |
[1:03:17] | the acme of congruity. | 是势不两立的 |
[1:03:19] | Well, it seems you’ve given the matter some thought. | 似乎你也对此考虑了一番 |
[1:03:22] | I was rather taken aback. | 我大吃了一惊 |
[1:03:24] | She is looking rather stunning this evening. | 她今晚确实美得令人震惊 |
[1:03:26] | Yes, to be sure. | 确实 |
[1:03:29] | She did make a rather | 她的入场 |
[1:03:31] | surprising entrance. | 惊为天人 |
[1:03:33] | Come, I’ve got to drive back to Provence, | 走吧 我得开车回普罗旺斯 |
[1:03:36] | and you have some journalists to see in a few hours. | 你过几个小时就要见记者了 |
[1:03:43] | How did you first discover Miss Baker? | 你最初是怎么发现贝克小姐的 |
[1:03:46] | I came to unmask her, as I have done countless others, | 我是为了揭穿她而来 就像我无数次做过的 |
[1:03:50] | but after trying every which way, | 但尝试过所有可能的方法后 |
[1:03:52] | came to the indisputable conclusion | 我得出的结论是 |
[1:03:55] | that she is a genuine medium. | 她是货真价实的灵媒 |
[1:03:57] | How can you be so certain she’s authentic? | 您怎么能确定她是货真价实的 |
[1:04:01] | I know all the tricks. | 我知道所有的把戏 |
[1:04:03] | Conjuring is my life’s passion. | 魔术是我一生的追求 |
[1:04:04] | Debunking fake mediums, my specialty. | 戳穿假灵媒是我的特长 |
[1:04:07] | What are her plans for the future? | 她未来的计划是什么 |
[1:04:09] | She plans to start a foundation | 她计划建立一个基金会 |
[1:04:11] | and a school for teaching the occult. | 开设学校教授神秘学 |
[1:04:13] | How does it feel to be wrong | 这么多年一直排斥神秘学 |
[1:04:15] | all these years about the occult? | 发现自己错了是什么感觉 |
[1:04:18] | Well, on the one side, I’m embarrassed, | 一方面 我感到很窘迫 |
[1:04:21] | but also thrilled to finally be able to take a deep breath | 但也感到激动 终于可以深吸一口气 |
[1:04:24] | and see new possibilities in life. | 看到人生新的可能 |
[1:04:26] | So, it is fair to say that you feel | 所以可以这么说 |
[1:04:28] | the world is not as rational and predictable | 你发现世界不是像你一直以来坚信的那样 |
[1:04:31] | as you’ve always so adamantly, | 有时甚至为此冒犯众人 |
[1:04:33] | and sometimes insultingly, claimed? | 理智而可预见 |
[1:04:36] | I deserve your criticism, I know. | 我活该被你批评 |
[1:04:39] | I’ve always been a rational man with a great faith in science. | 我一直是坚信科学的理智之士 |
[1:04:42] | What can I say? | 我能说什么 |
[1:04:44] | But it would appear that perhaps, | 我只能说 看起来 |
[1:04:47] | to say I believe in the dignity of man | 只相信人类自身 |
[1:04:51] | is simply not enough. | 是不够的 |
[1:04:55] | Even as a baby, it was clear | 还是孩子时 |
[1:04:57] | from the very beginning that she was a special child. | 她就显现出了自己的特别之处 |
[1:05:00] | It’s gonna be a world-class foundation. | 世界范围的基金会 |
[1:05:01] | Yes, there’ll be students from all over the world. | 来自世界各地的学生 |
[1:05:03] | You have to see her. | 你一定要去见见她 |
[1:05:05] | They are very close friends of mine. | 他们是我非常好的朋友 |
[1:05:06] | I came at once, but she stumped me, | 我立刻就来了 但她把我难住了 |
[1:05:07] | so l brought in Mr. Wei Ling Soo under an alias | 所以我让苏魏灵先生以假名拜访 |
[1:05:10] | to unmask her. | 意图揭穿她 |
[1:05:11] | Now you see the result. | 结果如你们所见 |
[1:05:13] | And damned if he isn’t her biggest fan. | 现在他成了她最大的粉丝 |
[1:05:15] | There you are. Excuse me. | 你在这 抱歉 |
[1:05:16] | I have some seriously distressing news. What? | 我有一些令人心痛的消息 |
[1:05:19] | Your aunt’s been in a serious automobile accident. | 你的姑姑出了一起严重的事故 |
[1:05:20] | What happened? Is she all right? | 发生什么了 她还好吗 |
[1:05:22] | She’s in critical condition at the hospital. | 她现在在医院 情况危急 |
[1:05:23] | – I need to get there. – Yes, of course, I’ll drive you. | -我得赶过去 -当然 我开车送你 |
[1:05:26] | Do you want me to come with you? I know the way… | 要我跟你一起去吗 我认得路 |
[1:05:46] | Jacques. | 雅克 |
[1:05:47] | Bonjour, George. | 你好 乔治 |
[1:05:49] | This is Stanley. | 这是斯坦利 |
[1:05:50] | Yes, how do you do? | 你好吗 |
[1:05:51] | So, how’s she doing? What’s happening? | 她怎么样 发生什么了 |
[1:05:55] | What was… | 什么 |
[1:05:56] | En anglais. | 请用英语 |
[1:05:57] | Oh, she’s in the operating room now. | 她现在在手术室 |
[1:06:00] | Everyone is doing his best. | 每个人都在尽全力 |
[1:06:01] | So what do you think? | 你怎么看 |
[1:06:02] | Is she going to be all right? | 她会没事吗 |
[1:06:04] | At this moment, it’s touch-and-go. | 现在不好说 吉凶未卜 |
[1:06:07] | Touch-and-go? | 吉凶未卜 |
[1:06:08] | You… You can wait there, if you want. | 你可以在这里等候 如果你希望 |
[1:06:10] | – Touch-and-go. – You’re in surgery with her? | -吉凶未卜吗 -你给她做手术吗 |
[1:06:12] | Yeah, I know. | 是的 |
[1:06:19] | Now, don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[1:06:20] | They have an excellent staff here. | 这里的医护人员都很优秀 |
[1:06:22] | You know, she’s an incredible woman. | 她是个了不起的女性 |
[1:06:23] | She practically raised me. | 是她养育了我 |
[1:06:25] | She’s been through a lot in her life. | 她这一生经历了很多 |
[1:06:27] | Sit down. Let me get you some tea. | 坐 我给你倒点茶 |
[1:06:29] | No, I’m too shaken up for tea. | 我喝不下茶 |
[1:06:31] | Well, perhaps I can scare up a whiskey? | 威士忌怎么样 |
[1:06:33] | Better idea. | 好的 |
[1:06:35] | You know, she shouldn’t be allowed to drive at her age. | 她这个年纪就不应该再开车了 |
[1:06:36] | Well, it’s in the hands of the doctors now. | 现在就看医生们的了 |
[1:06:39] | I know how helpless one feels, | 我知道你感觉无助 |
[1:06:41] | but all you can do is just keep calm and pray. | 但现在你能做的只有保持冷静和祈祷 |
[1:06:45] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:06:46] | The power of prayer. | 祈祷的力量 |
[1:06:49] | Always ridiculed it. | 我总是嘲笑祈祷的人 |
[1:06:50] | Oh, as have I. | 我也是 |
[1:06:52] | And yet, some people swear by it. | 但有人坚信不疑 |
[1:06:54] | You know, I know this sounds crass, | 我知道这听起来很蠢 |
[1:06:57] | particularly coming from me, | 特别是从我口中说出 |
[1:06:59] | a man of science, but… | 一个学科学的人 |
[1:07:01] | If the worst happens, | 但是如果最坏的情况出现 |
[1:07:03] | at least through Sophie, | 至少你可以通过苏菲 |
[1:07:05] | you’ll be able to contact her spirit. | 和她的精神联系上 |
[1:07:09] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:07:11] | Yes, that’s comforting, isn’t it? | 是的 令人心安 不是吗 |
[1:07:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:07:14] | I never thought I’d say it, but yes. | 我从未想过自己会这么说 但是的 |
[1:07:17] | Well, you buck up, | 你振作一点 |
[1:07:18] | and I will find that whiskey. | 我去找威士忌 |
[1:07:51] | I don’t know if you can hear me | 不知您是否能听见 |
[1:07:56] | and I haven’t always led an exemplary life. I’ve… | 我并不是一个带着信仰生活的人 |
[1:08:00] | I’ve not only been a skeptic, | 我不仅仅是怀疑者 |
[1:08:03] | a non-believer, but been much worse… | 不信者 比那更恶劣 |
[1:08:07] | A man with contempt for, | 我轻视 |
[1:08:10] | for people who give themselves over to the idea that, | 那些愿意去相信的人们 |
[1:08:14] | that there’s some kind of benevolent father figure up there. | 他们相信天上有一位爱众人的父 |
[1:08:20] | I’ve always said it was childish, | 我总说他们幼稚 |
[1:08:22] | wishful thinking, strictly for primitives, | 想当然 头脑原始 |
[1:08:24] | all these, all these hopes about | 所有这些愿望 |
[1:08:26] | a purpose for life, | 追求人生的目的 |
[1:08:27] | a larger meaning. | 人生的意义 |
[1:08:30] | That all our suffering will somehow accrue to some | 期望我们所受的苦 |
[1:08:34] | greater plan. | 有其意义 |
[1:08:40] | But if what I see of late is real | 但如果我日前所见为实 |
[1:08:46] | then I don’t have all the answers. | 那么 我并不知道所有的答案 |
[1:08:50] | It’s possible, | 那么很有可能 |
[1:08:52] | even logical, that | 甚至符合逻辑 |
[1:08:54] | we are here by design, | 认为我们的存在是出于造物主的意愿 |
[1:08:57] | to serve some higher ideal. | 为某种更高的理想服务 |
[1:09:01] | And that you | 并且 您 |
[1:09:04] | could be real. | 有可能确实存在 |
[1:09:09] | And although I have no right to expect anything, | 虽然我没有任何权利期待任何事 |
[1:09:14] | my aunt, | 但我的姑姑 |
[1:09:17] | whom I love, | 我挚爱的亲人 |
[1:09:18] | is in mortal danger. | 现在正处于生死之危中 |
[1:09:22] | And so, I ask you… | 所以 我祈求您 |
[1:09:26] | l ask you… | 我祈求您 |
[1:09:38] | Wait a minute. | 等一下 |
[1:09:44] | This is the stupidest | 这是我听过的 |
[1:09:46] | load of twaddle I have ever heard. | 最愚蠢的一堆胡话 |
[1:09:51] | My common sense tells me, | 我的常识告诉我 |
[1:09:53] | I’m falling into a seductive morass | 我正在掉进甜言蜜语的 |
[1:09:57] | of sugarcoated claptrap | 诱人泥沼 |
[1:09:59] | because I want my aunt to be all right. | 只因为我希望我的阿姨没有事 |
[1:10:05] | That girl | 那个姑娘 |
[1:10:08] | is a fake. | 是假冒的 |
[1:10:13] | I told you the surgeons were wonderful. | 我告诉过你这里的医生可以妙手回春 |
[1:10:14] | Should I not stay? | 我不用陪着吗 |
[1:10:15] | Well, there’s nothing for you to do here. | 这里没有你能做的事 |
[1:10:17] | She’s sleeping comfortably. | 她睡得很舒服 |
[1:10:18] | She responded well to the drugs. | 对药物的反应也很好 |
[1:10:20] | The surgery went beautifully. | 手术很顺利 |
[1:10:21] | She’s out of danger. | 她没有危险了 |
[1:10:23] | You know, after you left, I began to pray for her. | 你走了以后 我开始为她祈祷 |
[1:10:25] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[1:10:26] | Then I rejected the entire notion as pure poppycock. | 然后我意识到这整件事不过是一场闹剧 |
[1:10:30] | And that includes Miss Sophie Baker. | 这也包括苏菲·贝壳小姐 |
[1:10:32] | Is that right? | 是吗 |
[1:10:34] | Well, if Sophie is a fraud, | 如果苏菲是骗子 |
[1:10:36] | then how does she do what she does? | 她是怎么做到的 |
[1:11:06] | on, Stanley! | 斯坦利 |
[1:11:07] | – Oh, we were all so worried. – So worried! | -我们都很担心 -担心极了 |
[1:11:09] | You can imagine how anxious we were about your Aunt Vanessa. | 我能想象我们有多担心你的瓦妮莎姑姑吗 |
[1:11:12] | Yes! | 是啊 |
[1:11:13] | Thank God! | 感谢上帝 |
[1:11:14] | Madam, I can assure you, | 夫人我向你保证 |
[1:11:16] | God had nothing to do with it. | 上帝与此无关 |
[1:11:19] | She had good doctors. | 她遇到了好医生 |
[1:11:20] | Yeah, we have all been on tenterhooks, Stanley. | 我们都紧张极了 斯坦利 |
[1:11:24] | Well, couldn’t Sophie have predicted the outcome | 苏菲不能预见下结果 |
[1:11:26] | and put all your minds at ease? | 好让你们都放心吗 |
[1:11:28] | Me? I didn’t even know. | 我 我都不知道 |
[1:11:30] | I was so mobbed by all the press, I… | 媒体不肯放我走 |
[1:11:32] | If I had known, | 如果我知道 |
[1:11:33] | I would have gone with you to the hospital. | 我肯定会跟你一起去医院的 |
[1:11:35] | Well, it’s all over. | 都结束了 |
[1:11:36] | And, “All’s well that ends well.” | 结果好一切都好 |
[1:11:38] | That’s not Dickens. | 这次不是狄更斯 |
[1:11:41] | Well, now that everything’s ended well, | 既然一切都好 |
[1:11:43] | shall we repair to the garden? | 我们去花园吧 |
[1:11:45] | – Brice? Mrs. Baker? – Me? Great idea. | -布莱斯 贝克夫人 -好主意 |
[1:11:47] | I’m so excited about the further details of the foundation. | 我迫不及待想谈谈基金会的细节 |
[1:11:50] | I want to talk over… | 我想谈谈 |
[1:11:51] | Actually, there are a few financial details… | 事实上 有一些金融上的细节 |
[1:11:53] | Mother, I’m just gonna stay here. | 妈妈 我就留在这 |
[1:11:54] | And thank you, by the way. | 顺便 谢谢你 |
[1:11:55] | And I really want to go into some detail | 我很想谈谈细节 |
[1:11:58] | about how much… | 关于 |
[1:12:01] | Stanley, I can’t imagine what has been going through your mind. | 斯坦利 我无法想象你的心里都经历了什么 |
[1:12:04] | I mean, Aunt Vanessa’s such a dear woman. | 瓦妮莎阿姨是那么一位好女人 |
[1:12:07] | Yes, well, a man in a hospital waiting room | 当挚爱的亲人在手术刀下 |
[1:12:09] | while a loved one is under the knife | 一个人在医院等候室里 |
[1:12:10] | has many feverish thoughts. | 确实有很多头脑发热的想法 |
[1:12:12] | I imagined that if I prayed | 我想如果我祈祷 |
[1:12:14] | my prayers might be heard. | 也许能灵验 |
[1:12:17] | You thought of praying? | 你想要祈祷吗 |
[1:12:19] | I never imagined I would hear those words. | 我从没想过我会听到这些话 |
[1:12:22] | And my ace in the hole, so to speak, was that… | 而我的王牌 可以这么说 |
[1:12:25] | Even if the worst had | 就是 即使最坏的事发生了 |
[1:12:26] | happened and Aunt Vanessa had sadly passed away, | 瓦妮莎姑姑不幸过世 |
[1:12:28] | you could always put me in touch with her in the spirit world, | 我至少可以通过你和她保持联系 |
[1:12:30] | and that… | 而这一点 |
[1:12:32] | That rather put a smile on my face. | 确实让我心安不少 |
[1:12:34] | Well, in the end, she pulled through. | 最后 她挺过来了 |
[1:12:37] | Well, you look exhausted. | 你看起来累坏了 |
[1:12:39] | Well, can you blame me? | 这不能怪我 |
[1:12:40] | What I need now is a good bath and a nap and… | 我需要洗个澡 睡一觉 |
[1:12:44] | So, if you’ll excuse me… | 所以 请容许我先离开 |
[1:12:45] | Yes, of course. | 当然 |
[1:12:46] | Stanley… | 斯坦利 |
[1:12:49] | Oh, I’m so relieved about Aunt Vanessa. | 瓦妮莎阿姨还好让我松了一口气 |
[1:12:51] | She’s such a marvelous woman. | 她是那么不平凡的女人 |
[1:12:54] | Yeah, she’s so lovely. | 她非常可爱 |
[1:12:56] | We should break open the champagne. | 我们应该开一瓶香槟 |
[1:12:58] | We should celebrate. | 庆祝一下 |
[1:13:00] | Aunt Vanessa’s recovered. | 庆祝瓦妮莎阿姨的康复 |
[1:13:02] | Not to mention that I find this whole thing | 更不要说这整件事 |
[1:13:05] | a most rewarding experience. | 让我觉得收获颇丰 |
[1:13:10] | You feel no remorse? | 你不觉得懊悔吗 |
[1:13:13] | Why should I feel remorse? | 我为什么要懊悔 |
[1:13:14] | Hoodwinking a lifelong friend. | 欺骗一辈子的好友 |
[1:13:19] | I see it quite differently. | 我不那么看 |
[1:13:21] | Hoodwinking is what we do. | 我们的职业就是骗人 |
[1:13:24] | Now, you’ve got to understand that since we were boys, | 你要知道 从我们还是孩子时起 |
[1:13:26] | I have played second fiddle | 我就是他的陪衬 |
[1:13:28] | to that egomaniacal, self-regarding… | 那个自大狂 只关心自己的 |
[1:13:30] | Genius. | 天才 |
[1:13:31] | Yeah, he’s a genius at what he does, | 他在魔术上确实是个天才 |
[1:13:32] | and I turned out to be a mere mortal. | 而我不过是凡人 |
[1:13:35] | But now, after years of trailing in his wake, | 但现在 追随了他这么多年后 |
[1:13:39] | and I admit, some envy and resentment, | 我承认 我对他有些嫉妒和怨恨 |
[1:13:41] | I have finally put one over the great Wei Ling Soo. | 我终于蒙骗过了伟大的苏魏灵 |
[1:13:45] | I have fooled the man who could not be fooled. | 我愚弄了那个不会被愚弄的男人 |
[1:13:50] | Not quite, Howard. | 并没有 霍华德 |
[1:13:54] | How did… | 怎么 |
[1:13:55] | You admired this effect when you saw my show in Berlin. | 你在柏林看演出的时候说过你很憧憬这个技法 |
[1:13:58] | I said I’d teach it to you if you behaved yourself, | 我说过如果你表现得好的话我就教你 |
[1:14:00] | but you have not behaved. | 但你没有好好表现 |
[1:14:03] | It’s a trick, Sophie. | 这是魔术 苏菲 |
[1:14:05] | I don’t really dematerialize and reassemble my ectoplasm | 我并没有真的消失又重新出现 |
[1:14:08] | any more than you contact spirits or read minds. | 就像你也没有真的与灵魂沟通 也不会读心 |
[1:14:12] | Stanley, I can explain… | 斯坦利 我可以解释 |
[1:14:13] | I watched you so closely. | 我那么仔细地观察你 |
[1:14:16] | Howard watched your mother, | 霍华德观察着你妈妈 |
[1:14:18] | but who watched Howard? | 但谁来盯着霍华德 |
[1:14:22] | You were free to rap on the table. | 你可以敲响桌子 |
[1:14:24] | You seized the floating candle, | 你抓住了那支漂浮的蜡烛 |
[1:14:25] | you swore there were no wires making it float, | 你发誓说没有线 |
[1:14:27] | and I took you at your word. | 我信了你的话 |
[1:14:30] | You were free to rap once for yes, twice for no. | 你可以敲一下表示是 两下表示否 |
[1:14:32] | And when Sophie excused herself at my aunt’s | 苏菲在我姑姑家打电话的时候 |
[1:14:35] | to make a telephone call, she called you | 她打给了你 |
[1:14:39] | and you fed her information about my aunt. | 然后你告诉她关于我的姑姑的消息 |
[1:14:44] | At first, I couldn’t believe | 一开始 我不能相信 |
[1:14:45] | you would betray me like that. | 你会这样背叛我 |
[1:14:48] | But, as you know, | 但你也知道 |
[1:14:49] | I am a misanthrope. | 我不相信人性 |
[1:14:52] | And that people do unconscionable things | 一个人做一些不齿之事 |
[1:14:54] | does not run counter to my normal view of humanity. | 与我对人性的看法并不冲突 |
[1:14:57] | As boys, we both chose magic as our calling. | 从小 我们都选了魔术作为追求 |
[1:15:01] | We both practiced day and night, I as much as you. | 我们都夜以继日练习 我和你练习得一样多 |
[1:15:04] | My skill was the equal of yours, | 我的技巧和你一样好 |
[1:15:07] | and yet, you emerged onto the world stage as the great artist. | 然而你却成为了世界舞台上的伟大艺术家 |
[1:15:12] | But it wasn’t fair. | 这不公平 |
[1:15:13] | Life’s not fair, Howard. | 人生从来不公平 霍华德 |
[1:15:16] | In fact, as a general rule, as I’ve often said, | 事实上 像我常说的 最基本的规则就是 |
[1:15:18] | it’s pretty nasty. | 生活充满了恶意 |
[1:15:22] | Because of Sophie, | 因为苏菲 |
[1:15:24] | I began to succumb to magical thinking. | 我开始依赖美好的想法 |
[1:15:28] | And for a while, I was actually happy. | 有一段时间 我真的很幸福 |
[1:15:32] | But I was happy as a fool is happy. | 但那时的我不过是个幸福的傻瓜 |
[1:15:34] | Happiness is not the natural human condition. | 幸福不是人类的自然状态 |
[1:15:37] | And incidentally, you never practiced as much as I did, | 另外 你从来没有我练习得多 |
[1:15:39] | and your skill was never equal to mine. | 你的技术也从来没有我好 |
[1:15:41] | Stanley, I’m sorry, I’m sorry… | 斯坦利 对不起 对不起 |
[1:15:43] | I ran into Howard here when he was sent to expose me, and he… | 我认识霍华德是因为有人请他来揭穿我 |
[1:15:46] | He did expose me, quite easily. | 他确实揭穿了我 非常轻易地 |
[1:15:49] | But we made this private pact to do this scheme, | 但我们暗中达成协议 |
[1:15:51] | and I only agreed because it meant so much to Mom and me. | 我同意只因为这对母亲和我意味着太多 |
[1:15:56] | I view your behavior as | 我看你的行为就像 |
[1:15:58] | a great man views the malicious mischief of… | 一个伟人看一个 怎么说呢 |
[1:16:02] | What shall we say, pygmy? | 侏儒的恶意伤害 |
[1:16:04] | You’re a fake. | 你是假冒的 |
[1:16:06] | As I always should have known, and did, in my heart. | 我应该知道这一点 而且心底里我是知道的 |
[1:16:09] | I only wish I hadn’t wasted so much time with you. | 我只希望我没有在你身上浪费那么多时间 |
[1:16:13] | Well, now you’re just being a pompous stick in the mud. | 现在你不过是个妄尊自大的混蛋 |
[1:16:18] | We played an elaborate joke on you, Stanley. | 我们不过是跟你开了一个玩笑 |
[1:16:20] | No one was harmed. | 没人受伤 |
[1:16:22] | My reputation will suffer, | 我的名誉受损了 |
[1:16:23] | and you played me for a fool. | 你们把我当傻子一样耍 |
[1:16:25] | Your reputation is all ego! | 你的名誉不过是你的自大 |
[1:16:28] | I’ve… | 我 |
[1:16:29] | Yes, yes, things got out of hand, | 没错 事情有一点失控 |
[1:16:31] | but no awful thing happened. | 但没有什么糟糕的事情发生 |
[1:16:33] | I mean, you were… You were happy. | 你之前那么幸福 |
[1:16:35] | And you enjoyed life for once. | 你享受过生活 |
[1:16:37] | You saw the world as optimists see the world. | 你以乐观者的角度看这个世界 |
[1:16:40] | And we had some laughs together, | 我们一起分享的那些欢乐 |
[1:16:42] | so don’t say that you wasted your time with me. | 别说你在我身上浪费了时间 |
[1:16:44] | What would you have been doing? | 不然你会干什么呢 |
[1:16:46] | Sitting in your room and shuffling cards in front of a mirror? | 坐在房间里 在镜子前面练习洗牌吗 |
[1:16:50] | All my optimism was an illusion. | 我的乐观不过是幻象 |
[1:16:52] | Well, I started reading that book | 我读了那本书 |
[1:16:54] | by that German philosopher, you know, that you gave me? | 那个德国哲学家写的 你给我的 |
[1:16:57] | I didn’t really understand much of it, | 我没怎么看懂 |
[1:16:59] | but he said that we need our illusions to live. | 但是他说我们需要幻觉才能活下去 |
[1:17:02] | You mean lies. | 你是说谎言 |
[1:17:04] | You were much happier | 你之前比现在快乐多了 |
[1:17:05] | when you let some lies into your life, Stanley. | 当你允许生活中有谎言存在的时候 斯坦利 |
[1:17:07] | Think about it, Stanley, | 想想吧 斯坦利 |
[1:17:08] | do you really want to ruin the peace of mind Grace Catledge has, | 你真的想毁掉格蕾丝·卡特莱奇心灵的平静 |
[1:17:11] | secure in the knowledge that she is her husband’s only love? | 确信自己是丈夫唯一的爱 |
[1:17:15] | We can’t go around deluding ourselves. | 我们不能欺骗自己 |
[1:17:17] | But we must. | 我们必须欺骗自己 |
[1:17:19] | If we’re to get through life. | 如果我们想度过一生的话 |
[1:17:22] | I mean, I didn’t say it, | 不是我说的 |
[1:17:24] | I’m just quoting, you know, Mister… | 我只是引用 那位 |
[1:17:28] | Nietzsche. | 尼采 |
[1:17:29] | And, in the end, who really knows what’s real and what’s not? | 最后 谁又能知道什么是真 什么是假 |
[1:17:33] | Well, it’s quite clear what’s real, | 很清楚什么是真的 |
[1:17:34] | my praying for my aunt was poppycock, | 我为姑姑祈祷不过是闹剧 |
[1:17:36] | the doctor’s skill was real. | 医生的技术是真的 |
[1:17:37] | No. You will never know that, because George, | 不 你永远也不会知道 因为乔治 |
[1:17:40] | Caroline’s husband, the psychoanalyst, | 卡洛琳的丈夫 那个心理分析师 |
[1:17:43] | told me that he was praying for your aunt, too. | 跟我说他也为你的姑姑祈祷了 |
[1:17:45] | And so we don’t know if maybe | 我们无法知道 |
[1:17:47] | it was his prayers that got answered. | 是否是他的祈祷得到了回应 |
[1:17:49] | Maybe the angels like him better. | 也许天使们更喜欢他 |
[1:17:51] | I won’t dignify this conversation any longer. | 再继续跟你说下去我的智商要归零了 |
[1:17:54] | I’m going to go and visit my Aunt Vanessa | 我要去拜访瓦妮莎姑姑 |
[1:17:56] | until she’s on her feet, and then good-bye. | 她一康复 我就离开 |
[1:17:59] | And you won’t forgive me? | 你不能原谅我吗 |
[1:18:01] | Well, I can’t forgive you. | 我做不到 |
[1:18:03] | Only God can forgive you. | 只有上帝能原谅你 |
[1:18:05] | But you said there is no God. | 但是你说上帝不存在 |
[1:18:09] | Precisely my point. | 正是这个意思 |
[1:18:27] | Lovers depend on moonlight for a love affair | 情人依赖月光产生爱意 |
[1:18:33] | Babies depend on mothers for their tender care | 婴儿依赖母亲的温柔照顾 |
[1:18:39] | Flowers depend on sunshine and the morning dew | 花朵依赖阳光和晨露 |
[1:18:45] | Each thing depends on something | 每一件事物都依赖着另一件事物 |
[1:18:48] | And I depend on you | 而我依赖着你 |
[1:18:53] | I can be happy, I can be sad | 我可以开心 可以哀伤 |
[1:18:56] | I can be good, I can be bad | 可以好 可以坏 |
[1:18:59] | It all depends on you | 一切都依赖你的决定 |
[1:19:05] | I can be lonely out in a crowd | 我可以在人群中依然孤单 |
[1:19:07] | I can be humble | 我可以谦卑 |
[1:19:09] | Oh, it’s good to be home. | 回到家真好 |
[1:19:10] | More robust than ever, I’ll wager. | 比以往更有活力了 要我说 |
[1:19:13] | “What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.” | 杀不死你的让你更强壮 |
[1:19:16] | A great man said that. | 一个伟人那么说过 |
[1:19:18] | Oh, not the “God is dead” Fellow. | 不是那个说上帝已死的家伙吧 |
[1:19:20] | The very same. | 正是 |
[1:19:21] | Nevertheless, I think he was wrong. | 无论如何 我认为他错了 |
[1:19:22] | What doesn’t kill us often knocks the hell out of us. | 杀不死我们的通常会把我们折腾得半死 |
[1:19:24] | Well, sometimes a close call wakes a person up. | 悬崖勒马使人清醒 |
[1:19:30] | I’ve had another idea for our honeymoon. | 度蜜月的计划我又有一个主意 |
[1:19:32] | What if, after the Greek Islands, | 如果 在希腊群岛游玩之后 |
[1:19:34] | we set sail for the South Seas. | 我们向南太平洋进发 |
[1:19:35] | I’ve always wanted to visit Bora Bora. | 我一直想去波拉波拉岛 |
[1:19:37] | Would that interest you? | 你有兴趣吗 |
[1:19:39] | I’ve never… I’ve never heard of it, | 我从没听过那里 |
[1:19:41] | but the name sounds pretty exotic. | 但是名字听起来很有异域风情 |
[1:19:43] | Exotic? | 异域风情 |
[1:19:46] | I love how you pick always the exact right word. | 我喜欢你总是能挑出最合适的词 |
[1:19:52] | Yes, of course, Olivia. | 当然 奥利维亚 |
[1:19:53] | I’ll be home in a few days. | 我过两天就回家 |
[1:19:55] | I just have to see that Aunt Vanessa is up and running, | 但是我需要先确认瓦妮莎姑姑没事才行 |
[1:19:58] | and, uh, I have one or two press interviews I have to do. | 还要再召开一两场记者招待会 |
[1:20:01] | Some things need to be smoothed over. | 有些事情需要澄清 |
[1:20:03] | This is where I could use your tact. | 我需要借助你的手腕 |
[1:20:05] | Yes, of course. Yes. | 当然 当然 |
[1:20:07] | Bye, darling. | 再见 亲爱的 |
[1:20:11] | I bet you’ll be glad to get back to London | 我打赌你很高兴能回伦敦 |
[1:20:13] | and put all this behind you. | 忘记这一切 |
[1:20:17] | You might enjoy the Galapagos. | 你也许会喜欢加拉帕戈斯群岛 |
[1:20:20] | You’re a great admirer of Darwin’s. | 你那么崇拜达尔文 |
[1:20:22] | Big turtles. Yes, I suppose so. | 大龟群岛 也许吧 |
[1:20:26] | And of course, you must miss Olivia. | 你肯定也想奥利维亚了 |
[1:20:33] | A very fine woman. I can tell that from her photographs. | 那么优秀的女人 从照片就能看出来 |
[1:20:37] | Such elegance and style. | 优雅有品位 |
[1:20:39] | Absolutely perfect for a man of your taste. | 对你这样的男人来说完美 |
[1:20:41] | Well, yes, it’s… There’s no question. | 是 没有疑问 |
[1:20:44] | We’re ideally suited. | 我们是理想的伴侣 |
[1:20:46] | A very… And you need a well-educated woman | 你需要一个受过良好教育的女人 |
[1:20:50] | to keep up with you. | 才能跟上你的脚步 |
[1:20:53] | And she’s quite attractive, to boot. | 而且她看起来也很美 |
[1:20:55] | Yes, yes, it’s very easy to see us | 没错 很容易就能想象 |
[1:20:58] | side by side through life’s journey. | 我和她并肩度过人生旅程 |
[1:21:01] | A very handsome couple indeed. | 金童玉女 |
[1:21:04] | Yes, there’s no question. We’re ideally suited. | 没有错 我们是理想的伴侣 |
[1:21:07] | As you would say. | 正如你所说的 |
[1:21:09] | A quite rational choice. | 是个理性之选 |
[1:21:12] | I mean, it’s not entirely cerebral. | 其实 并不完全理智 |
[1:21:15] | I mean, I do love her. | 我是爱她 |
[1:21:17] | What are you suggesting? | 你想暗示什么 |
[1:21:19] | – Suggesting? – In the nuance of your tone? | -暗示? -你奇怪的语气 |
[1:21:22] | Of course I love her. | 我当然爱她 |
[1:21:24] | Or are you saying | 你是说 |
[1:21:26] | you think I’ve come to love Sophie Baker? | 你觉得我爱上苏菲·贝壳了吗 |
[1:21:28] | Me? I never mentioned Sophie. | 我? 我可没提苏菲 |
[1:21:30] | Well, I thought you were heading there. | 我看你就是这个意思 |
[1:21:32] | Sophie Baker? | 苏菲·贝壳 |
[1:21:33] | The little fake who played you for a dupe? | 耍你的那个小骗子吗 |
[1:21:34] | Exactly. That wretch. | 没错 正是那个家伙 |
[1:21:36] | Why would I suggest you’ve fallen in love with Sophie? | 我为什么会暗示你爱上了苏菲 |
[1:21:38] | Well, you might. | 你就是可能会这样 |
[1:21:40] | I never know what goes on | 我又不知道 |
[1:21:41] | in that devious mind of yours. | 你有什么奇思怪想 |
[1:21:42] | The very idea of you and that specious American telepathic. | 你要是和那个徒有虚名的美国灵媒在一起 |
[1:21:47] | Well, I know it defies all reason. | 我知道 太不明智了 |
[1:21:49] | You, a creature of reason. A man of intellect. | 你是个理性之人 理智之人 |
[1:21:53] | To be sure. | 的确 |
[1:21:54] | Certainly not trivial. | 又不是泛泛之辈 |
[1:21:56] | No, to say the least. | 起码不是 |
[1:21:57] | And she’s hardly in the same class as Olivia. | 而她和奥利维亚可没法比 |
[1:22:01] | The comparison makes me laugh. | 不可同日而语 |
[1:22:03] | Olivia is a person of accomplishment and charm. | 奥利维亚才华横溢 魅力四射 |
[1:22:05] | Sophie’s a street finagler | 苏菲只是个街头骗子 |
[1:22:07] | who makes her way living off one bit of hokum to the next. | 靠一个又一个骗人的伎俩过活 |
[1:22:10] | Well, I don’t see how you can compare the two. | 这两个人怎么能相提并论呢 |
[1:22:12] | Well, don’t put ideas into my head! | 那就别给我灌输这样的想法 |
[1:22:15] | Well, far be it from me. | 我才没有 |
[1:22:23] | Of course, she does come from dire circumstances. | 不过 她的确身世惨淡 |
[1:22:26] | I mean, it’s very easy to be judgmental | 我是说 我们很容易 |
[1:22:28] | about people who are born into circumstances | 对身世不如自己的人 |
[1:22:30] | less fortunate than one’s own. | 评头论足 |
[1:22:32] | Life is harsh. | 生活是残酷的 |
[1:22:34] | One must do what one must to survive. | 人们为了生存不惜一切手段 |
[1:22:36] | Well put. | 说得好 |
[1:22:37] | And people do sometimes make the wrong choices, | 人们有时会抉择错误 |
[1:22:39] | which they regret, | 而感到后悔 |
[1:22:41] | even though no serious harm was done. | 尽管没有造成严重后果 |
[1:22:45] | Which of us has not made some blunders in life? | 孰能无错呢 |
[1:22:48] | And there is a rather appealing quality about Sophie. | 纵使所做所为令人生厌 |
[1:22:52] | Despite her disgusting behavior. | 苏菲还是有相当大的魅力 |
[1:22:54] | Yes, her smile is rather winning. | 是的 她的笑容真让人着迷 |
[1:22:58] | Of course, it depends how much value | 当然 这取决于 |
[1:23:00] | you put on the purely physical. | 你有多重视外表 |
[1:23:01] | Well, no, I… | 不 我 |
[1:23:03] | I, for one, esteem the higher virtues. | 我是个尊重美德的人 |
[1:23:06] | Beauty of the soul. | 心灵美 |
[1:23:11] | Although her eyes are rather pleasant to look into. | 不过 她的眼睛的确美极了 |
[1:23:15] | And that she can be amusing, under the right circumstances. | 而且有些时候 她也很幽默 |
[1:23:17] | Oh, but Olivia is an educated, | 但奥利维亚是个受过教育的 |
[1:23:20] | cultivated woman. | 有修养的女人 |
[1:23:21] | One that befits a man of your artistic genius. | 更适合你这种艺术家 |
[1:23:24] | Yes, now, my genius must be factored in. | 对 我的艺术天赋也要考虑进来 |
[1:23:27] | On paper, there’s really no reason | 理论上 没有理由 |
[1:23:29] | to prefer Sophie to Olivia. | 选苏菲而不选奥利维亚 |
[1:23:31] | Well, I would say the opposite. | 我认为刚好相反 |
[1:23:35] | And so your suggestion that I, | 所以你建议我 |
[1:23:38] | I be honest with Olivia | 像奥利维亚坦白 |
[1:23:39] | and tell her that irrational as it seems, | 告诉她 尽管看起来不理性 |
[1:23:42] | I’ve fallen in love with Sophie, | 我还是爱上了苏菲 |
[1:23:45] | that’s a preposterous notion. | 这太荒唐了 |
[1:23:47] | It’s lunacy. | 简直是疯了 |
[1:23:52] | Yet I can’t help feeling that… | 但我情不自禁地… |
[1:23:54] | That you love Sophie. | 爱上了苏菲 |
[1:23:57] | Yes, I understand. | 是的 我知道 |
[1:23:58] | You’re puzzled and bewildered | 你感到迷惑不解 |
[1:24:00] | because your foolish logic | 因为按照你愚蠢的逻辑 |
[1:24:02] | tells you that you should love Olivia. | 你应该爱奥利维亚 |
[1:24:05] | Foolish logic? | 愚蠢的逻辑 |
[1:24:06] | And yet, how little that logic means | 然而 和苏菲的笑容相比 |
[1:24:09] | when placed next to Sophie’s smile. | 那逻辑多么微不足道 |
[1:24:12] | What are you saying? | 你是什么意思 |
[1:24:15] | That the world may or may not be without purpose, | 无论这世界是不是有意 |
[1:24:19] | but it’s not totally without some kind of magic. | 它都不是完全不存在魔法的 |
[1:24:24] | I have irrational positive feelings for Sophie Baker. | 我确实对苏菲·贝壳有不理智的感情 |
[1:24:29] | It’s like witnessing a trick I can’t figure out. | 就像目睹了一场我拆不穿的骗局 |
[1:24:31] | I wouldn’t try to figure it out. I’d simply move on it. | 我才不会去拆穿 这么说吧 |
[1:24:34] | Word is, she’s already accepted Brice Catledge’s proposal. | 据说 她已经接受了布莱斯·卡特莱奇的求婚 |
[1:24:56] | Taken to reading the great books? | 开始读名著了吗 |
[1:25:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:25:03] | Well, you once said not to despair. | 你说过不要灰心 |
[1:25:07] | There’s hope for my brain. | 我的头脑还有救 |
[1:25:09] | Perhaps I was a bit caustic. | 我之前也许有些刻薄 |
[1:25:12] | But you will admit you were guilty | 但你得承认 |
[1:25:13] | of some rather sleazy doings. | 你的一些行为并不光彩 |
[1:25:17] | Yes, well, those days are over. | 是的 以后不会了 |
[1:25:19] | I no longer have to worry about | 我再也不用担心 |
[1:25:21] | where to sleep and how to eat. | 会挨饿受冻了 |
[1:25:25] | I take it Brice Catledge has made a serious marriage proposal? | 听说布莱斯·卡特莱奇已经求婚了 |
[1:25:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:25:30] | A very tempting one. | 很诱人 |
[1:25:32] | Wouldn’t you agree? | 你不觉得吗 |
[1:25:34] | Yes, I suppose so. | 是的 我也觉得 |
[1:25:36] | But I’m here to make you a more tempting one. | 但我提出的更诱人 |
[1:25:39] | More tempting than this? | 比这个更诱人吗 |
[1:25:42] | I came to say | 我是来说 |
[1:25:44] | that for some inexplicable reason | 出于令人费解的原因 |
[1:25:46] | that defies common sense and human understanding, | 尽管有违常识 出乎人类理解力 |
[1:25:50] | that I have, of late, | 我 最近 |
[1:25:52] | experienced some small… | 对你的笑容 |
[1:25:54] | Quite small, but discernible | 产生了一点 一点点 |
[1:25:57] | inner stirrings regarding your smile. | 但却察觉得到的心动 |
[1:26:00] | How magnanimous of you. | 你可真宽宏大量 |
[1:26:02] | Yes, I thought you’d think so. | 是的 我知道你会这么想 |
[1:26:04] | And possessing a soul which is large | 我像所有的伟人一样 |
[1:26:06] | and capable of complexity, as all great minds are, | 气量不凡 胸怀宽广 |
[1:26:09] | I have decided to forgive you | 决定原谅你 |
[1:26:11] | and take you under my wing. | 并将你护入羽下 |
[1:26:15] | Your wing? | 羽下? |
[1:26:17] | It’s a saying. Obviously, I don’t have wings. | 只是个说法 显然我没有翅膀 |
[1:26:20] | I only mean that, | 我的意思是 |
[1:26:22] | incredible as it sounds, | 尽管听起来不可思议 |
[1:26:24] | and this is no small gesture, given the time wasted | 而且这并不是件小事 |
[1:26:26] | and the public embarrassment you’ve caused me, | 鉴于你浪费我时间 又使我当众出丑 |
[1:26:28] | that I’m | 我还是 |
[1:26:30] | willing to take you back. | 愿意接纳你 |
[1:26:33] | Take me back where? | 接纳我到哪 |
[1:26:35] | Under the moon in the observatory. | 天文台的月光下 |
[1:26:38] | I regretted what I was doing, | 我对所作所为感到后悔 |
[1:26:42] | but I was too inept to change course, | 但已无法改变 |
[1:26:44] | and I apologize. | 我很抱歉 |
[1:26:48] | Really. | 真的 |
[1:26:49] | And I accept your forgiveness. | 我也接受你的原谅 |
[1:26:50] | I understand that it’s very generous of you, | 我知道你很有气度 |
[1:26:53] | and I have to be going. | 我得走了 |
[1:26:54] | Going? I haven’t said what I came for. | 走? 我还没说我来的目的呢 |
[1:26:57] | Well, then just say it and go, | 那就快说 说完快走 |
[1:26:59] | because I have a dinner to go to with my fiance. | 我还得和未婚夫共进晚餐 |
[1:27:02] | I’m here to say | 我想说 |
[1:27:04] | that in spite of everything, | 尽管发生了这么多事 |
[1:27:07] | I am willing to consider marrying you. | 我还是愿意娶你为妻 |
[1:27:10] | – What? – Naturally, | -什么 -当然 |
[1:27:12] | you can’t believe your good fortune. | 你不敢相信自己多么的幸运 |
[1:27:14] | I appreciate that. | 我欣赏你这一点 |
[1:27:16] | Stanley, brilliant as you are with a deck of cards, | 斯坦利 尽管你的纸牌玩得出神入化 |
[1:27:19] | you are terrible at proposing. | 求婚可真烂 |
[1:27:24] | I’ve never proposed before. | 我从未求过婚 |
[1:27:25] | Oh, really? | 真的吗 |
[1:27:26] | Not even to your fiance? | 对你未婚妻也没求吗 |
[1:27:29] | She proposed marriage. | 是她提议结婚的 |
[1:27:31] | The truth is I’ve never really felt the urge to propose before. | 实际上 我从未有冲动要求婚 |
[1:27:34] | Use your head! | 你好好想想 |
[1:27:35] | We’re not a match made in heaven, | 我们可不是天作之合 |
[1:27:38] | and as you’ve said before many times, | 而且你以前总说 |
[1:27:41] | when the heart rules the head, disaster follows. | 随心所欲 会引致悲剧 |
[1:27:45] | But the fact is | 但事实是 |
[1:27:47] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[1:27:50] | And somewhere in your confused, | 而且 在你那颗困惑的 |
[1:27:52] | black, little criminal’s heart, | 坏透的 小罪犯的心里 |
[1:27:54] | you care for me. | 你在乎我 |
[1:27:55] | I’m marrying Brice Catledge. | 我要嫁给布莱斯·卡特莱奇 |
[1:27:58] | You advised me to. | 你建议我这么做的 |
[1:28:00] | You must never take my advice. | 可你从未接受过我的建议 |
[1:28:01] | I’m a major eccentric. | 我是个极其古怪的人 |
[1:28:02] | You know, Brice adores me, | 布莱斯爱慕我 |
[1:28:04] | and he offers me a life of travel | 能让我一辈子四处旅行 |
[1:28:07] | and excitement and high living. | 给我惊喜 过上阔绰的生活 |
[1:28:09] | No, no, | 不 不 |
[1:28:10] | he worships you, and you don’t want to be worshiped. | 他是崇拜你 但你想被崇拜的 |
[1:28:12] | You’ll be bored. | 你会无聊的 |
[1:28:13] | Oh. Sailing to the Greek Islands? | 航行去希腊群岛 |
[1:28:15] | And Bora Bora? | 去博拉博拉岛吗 |
[1:28:17] | Well, they’re just, they’re just rocks in the ocean! | 那只是大海中的几块石头 |
[1:28:19] | It’s who you go with! | 重要的是谁陪你去 |
[1:28:21] | Do you want to spend the rest of your life with a man | 你想和那个弹四弦琴对你唱歌的人 |
[1:28:22] | who plays the ukulele and croons to you? | 过一辈子吗 |
[1:28:26] | You know I like you very much, Stanley. | 你知道我很喜欢你 斯坦利 |
[1:28:29] | I even began falling in love with you. | 我甚至爱上了你 |
[1:28:33] | But when you went on to show me how irrational it was, | 但你却告诉我这不理性 |
[1:28:38] | and then you proved it | 然后还用几何逻辑 |
[1:28:40] | with geometrical logic. | 向我证明多么不理性 |
[1:28:42] | No. Geometry was never my strong subject. | 不 几何向来不是我的强项 |
[1:28:44] | After all, what can you offer me? | 说到底 你能给我什么呢 |
[1:28:47] | Grumpy moods? | 暴脾气 |
[1:28:49] | Insults? | 羞辱 |
[1:28:50] | Pessimistic grumbling | 悲观地抱怨 |
[1:28:52] | about how awful life is for all of us? | 我们的人生多糟糕吗 |
[1:28:55] | Well, around you, I’m not gloomy. | 在你身边我并不悲观 |
[1:28:57] | That’s only because I fooled you | 那是因为我骗了你 |
[1:28:59] | into thinking that there’s more to life than meets the eye. | 让你以为人生还有更多不可见的事物 |
[1:29:02] | No, no, I have not lost my pessimism, | 对 对 我还是悲观厌世 |
[1:29:05] | but you are like an oasis in the grim desert. | 但你就像荒漠中的绿洲 |
[1:29:10] | And as far as what I can offer you, | 至于我能提供给你的 |
[1:29:12] | life with a brilliant and witty genius. | 是精彩绝伦 妙趣横生的生活 |
[1:29:17] | I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[1:29:18] | No, this is your last offer. | 别走 这是你最后的机会 |
[1:29:20] | You must not be an ingrate. | 你不能忘恩负义 |
[1:29:21] | Good-bye, Stanley. | 再见 斯坦利 |
[1:29:22] | I will not stand around here, cap in hand, | 我不会再谦卑地站在这 |
[1:29:25] | waiting for some halfpenny con artist to be my bride! | 等一个小骗子答应嫁给我了 |
[1:29:29] | This is it. You don’t agree now, | 就这样 你若现在不同意 |
[1:29:30] | offer’s off the table. | 以后就没机会了 |
[1:29:32] | Do you hear me? | 你听到了吗 |
[1:29:34] | You irritating Lilliputian! | 你这个讨厌的小人 |
[1:29:35] | You’re throwing away your passport to paradise! | 你是在丢掉去往天堂的机会 |
[1:29:40] | Can you forgive me, Stanley? | 你可以原谅我嘛 斯坦利 |
[1:29:42] | Oh, I have forgiven you, Howard, | 我已经原谅你了 霍华德 |
[1:29:44] | as I’ve forgiven Sophie. | 正如我原谅了苏菲 |
[1:29:46] | I agree, I needed a pie in the face. | 我承认 我是需要一点羞辱 |
[1:29:49] | Well, I saw a side of you in this I’ve never seen before. | 由此我见识到了你从未展现的一面 |
[1:29:51] | It was refreshing. | 真是让人耳目一新 |
[1:29:53] | Even now, | 即便到现在 |
[1:29:54] | Sophie’s smile still penetrates my soul. | 苏菲的笑容仍能穿透我的灵魂 |
[1:29:57] | Now you believe we have souls? | 现在你相信我们有灵魂了 |
[1:30:00] | No, I believe each of us | 不 我相信我们每个人 |
[1:30:01] | must find a reason to truly embrace life, | 都需要一个真正拥抱生活的原因 |
[1:30:04] | and for me, Sophie is that reason. | 对我来说 苏菲就是那个原因 |
[1:30:06] | Well, if nothing else, it’s made you certain | 这么说来 你可以肯定的是 |
[1:30:09] | it would’ve been a mistake to marry Olivia. | 娶奥利维亚是个错误 |
[1:30:12] | I spoke to Olivia on the telephone. | 我和奥利维亚通过电话了 |
[1:30:14] | She’s much less upset than I’d anticipated. | 她并没我预想的那么难过 |
[1:30:16] | Very calm, very reasonable. | 而是非常平静 非常理性 |
[1:30:20] | She’s in the Galapagos. | 她在加拉帕戈斯群岛 |
[1:30:21] | She said she was disappointed, | 她说她很失望 |
[1:30:24] | but she understood that these things happen, | 但她理解这一切 |
[1:30:26] | and if I was still going to feel this way when I returned, | 如果我带着这些情感回去 |
[1:30:29] | it’s much better we found out now. | 不如现在就说清 |
[1:30:31] | What a lovely, rational human being. | 真是个可爱又理性的人 |
[1:30:33] | I should look her up. | 我应该去拜访她 |
[1:30:35] | She’s bright, pretty, she likes magicians. | 她聪明漂亮 又喜欢魔术师 |
[1:31:17] | Well, how did it go? | 怎么样 |
[1:31:19] | Can you believe she turned me down? | 你能相信吗 她居然拒绝我 |
[1:31:23] | Poor Stanley. | 可怜的斯坦利 |
[1:31:25] | That scamp could’ve had me, | 那个骗子本可以拥有我的 |
[1:31:28] | but instead, she chose Brice Catledge. | 但却选择了布莱斯·卡特莱奇 |
[1:31:31] | Well, he is very rich and good-looking. | 他有钱 而且很英俊 |
[1:31:34] | She’d have been happier with me. | 她跟我在一起会更快乐 |
[1:31:36] | So in the end, you lost her. | 最后 你还是失去了她 |
[1:31:38] | It’s sad, because | 真令人悲伤 |
[1:31:41] | there really was something between us. | 因为我们之间确实有些什么 |
[1:31:44] | Some chemistry. Some magic. | 有火花 有魔力 |
[1:31:48] | And I say chemistry or magic because… | 我说有火花和魔力 是因为 |
[1:31:51] | I believe I actually loved her from the first, | 我从第一眼见到她时 |
[1:31:54] | first moment I laid eyes on her. | 就爱上了她 |
[1:31:56] | Well, love at first sight is a kind of magic, isn’t it? | 一见钟情就是一种魔力 不是吗 |
[1:32:00] | You need a drink. What will you have? | 喝点东西吧 要什么 |
[1:32:02] | A scotch, please. | 威士忌 |
[1:32:04] | In the end, she proved to be a fool. | 最后愚蠢的还是她 |
[1:32:07] | You mean to choose that handsome young millionaire | 因为选择那个年轻帅气的富翁 |
[1:32:09] | over you? | 而不选你吗 |
[1:32:10] | Well, she may come to her senses. | 她会想明白的 |
[1:32:12] | Women do change their mind about such things. | 这种事情上 女人就是善变 |
[1:32:15] | Well, it’s too late… I’ve taken the offer off the table. | 太晚了 我不会等她 |
[1:32:18] | I’ll not let myself be pushed around by big eyes | 我才不会任由那双大眼睛 |
[1:32:21] | and a smile. | 和她的笑容摆布 |
[1:32:25] | Although she’s much more. | 尽管她有的远不止这些 |
[1:32:29] | But she had her chance, and she said no. | 但是机会给她了 是她拒绝的 |
[1:32:31] | You mean if she changed her mind, | 你是说 如果她改变心意 |
[1:32:33] | you wouldn’t accept her? | 你也不接受她了吗 |
[1:32:34] | It’s too late. | 太晚了 |
[1:32:36] | Oh, you can’t be that stubborn. | 你该不会那么顽固吧 |
[1:32:40] | Well, l suppose if she woke up and realized how happy | 如果她能清醒地意识到 |
[1:32:45] | she’d be with me, | 跟我在一起会多么幸福 |
[1:32:46] | how much more fun she’d have in life, | 她的生活会多么快乐 |
[1:32:50] | how much I’d come to love her. | 我会多么的爱她 |
[1:32:53] | She gave nothing back. | 她却没有任何回应 |
[1:32:55] | She gave you no sign at all that she cared? | 她一点也没表示出在乎吗 |
[1:32:59] | If she’d given me a sign, | 如果她能给我一点回应 |
[1:33:03] | I’d have taken her in my arms, carried her off | 我会搂着她 抱起她 |
[1:33:06] | and married her. | 娶她为妻 |
[1:33:10] | All I was looking for was one sign. | 我只求一点点回应 |
[1:33:21] | Sophie? | 是苏菲吗 |
[1:33:31] | Will you marry me? | 嫁给我好吗 |