英文名称:The Painted Veil
年代:2006
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[05:10] | Hello. Hello. | 你好 你好 |
[05:13] | Say, I was wondering… | 我 我在想 |
[05:16] | What? | 什么 |
[05:17] | Sorry. I was wondering if you’d like to dance. | 我在想您是否愿意赏光陪我跳支舞 |
[05:23] | Why not? | 为什么不呢? |
[05:33] | Kitty, who was the young man you were dancing with last night? | 吉蒂 昨晚和你跳舞的年轻男士是谁? |
[05:37] | Which one? | 哪一个? |
[05:39] | Quiet, serious-looking one. | 看起来挺安静严肃的那个 |
[05:41] | Oh, him. | 哦 他啊 |
[05:43] | I suppose you invited him, mother. | 我猜是你叫他来的吧 母亲 |
[05:46] | I don’t know who you’re talking about. | 我不知道你们在说谁? |
[05:48] | I invited him. | 是我请他来的 |
[05:51] | His name is Fane and he’s a doctor. | 他叫费恩 是个医学博士 |
[05:53] | He manages a government laboratory.in Shanghai. A civil servant? | 他在上海管一个英国政府实验室 公务员? |
[05:59] | In any case. | 不管怎么说 |
[06:00] | He called around last Sunday.We had a long chat. | 他上周日来过 我们聊了好长时间 |
[06:03] | I told him to come back anytime. | 我让他随时可以过来坐坐 |
[06:05] | It’s not often that you like any of my young men. | 您很少能看得上我认识的小伙子 |
[06:08] | Well, do you like him? | 那你喜欢他吗 |
[06:09] | Not really. | 不太喜欢 |
[06:10] | What’s wrong with him?Is he in love with you? I don’t know. | 他有什么不好吗? 他爱上你了吗? 我不知道 |
[06:14] | I thought by now you’d know | 到了你这个年龄 |
[06:16] | when a young man was in love with you. | 假如有人爱上你 你应该会知道 |
[06:17] | The point is whether I’m in love with him, and I’m not. | 关键是我爱不爱他 而我不爱他 |
[06:20] | You’d better be careful, young lady. | 小姐 你还是小心点 |
[06:21] | Time can run out, you know. | 岁月不饶人的 |
[06:23] | Oh, stop it, mother. Honestly. | 母亲 别说了 老实说 |
[06:26] | The very idea that a woman | 不顾自己的感情 |
[06:28] | should marry any Tom, Dick, or Harry… | 没有任何爱情就嫁人 |
[06:30] | …regardless of her own feelings is simply prehistoric. | 这种想法简直太落伍了 |
[06:34] | How much longer do you expect your father to go on supporting you? | 你指望你父亲把你养到什么时候 |
[06:58] | Hello. | 您好 |
[06:59] | Hello. | 您好 |
[07:01] | I was… I was just coming… | 我 我来是 |
[07:06] | Your father invited me. | 您的父亲请我过来的 |
[07:09] | I’m going out. | 我正要出去 |
[07:11] | May I join you? | 我可以陪您去吗 |
[07:31] | Right on time. | 很准时 |
[07:50] | What is it exactly that you do? | 您到底是做什么工作的 |
[07:53] | I’m a bacteriologist. | 我是个细菌学家 |
[07:56] | That must be fascinating. | 那一定很有意思 |
[07:59] | You have no idea what that is, do you? | 您完全不了解那是什么 对吗? |
[08:01] | No, I’m afraid not. | 是的 恐怕是这样 |
[08:03] | No. There’s no reason you should. | 当然您没有必要知道 |
[08:05] | I study the microorganisms that carry disease. | 我研究携带病菌的微生物 |
[08:08] | Charming. | 挺吸引人的 |
[08:09] | No, it’s not, actually. It’s the opposite. | 不 实际上不是的 其实刚好相反 |
[08:14] | Shall we step inside? | 我们要进去吗 |
[08:32] | Do you like flowers? | 您喜欢花吗 |
[08:34] | Not particularly, no. | 不太喜欢 嗯 不 |
[08:37] | Well, I mean, yes. | 我是喜欢的 可是 |
[08:38] | But we don’t really have them around the house. | 我们家里很少有花 |
[08:41] | Mother says, “Why purchase something you can grow for free?” | 母亲说 何必去买些自己能种的东西 |
[08:46] | Then, we don’t really grow them either. | 但其实我们也不种花 |
[08:49] | Does seem silly, really. To put all that effort into… | 看来是有一点儿傻 |
[08:51] | …something that’s just going to die. | 耗费精力去照顾那些终归要死去的东西 |
[08:56] | I’d like to say something to you. | 我有话想跟您说 |
[09:00] | I came to see you to ask you if you’ll marry me. | 我来是想问您是否愿意嫁给我 |
[09:04] | You could knock me down with a feather. | 您真是让我大吃一惊 |
[09:07] | Could you not tell that I’m in love with you? | 您看不出来我爱上您了吗 |
[09:10] | You never showed it. | 您可从来没表示过 |
[09:11] | Oh, I… | 噢 我 |
[09:14] | Well, I wanted to. It’s difficult. I… | 我想要表示的挺难的 |
[09:19] | But there it is. | 不过我现在表示了 |
[09:21] | Right. | 嗯 |
[09:23] | I’m not sure that’s very well put. | 你词汇上的选择不太理想 |
[09:25] | No, it’s not. | 是不太好 |
[09:26] | You see how clumsy I am. I… | 我是多么的笨拙 我 |
[09:29] | I’m terrible at these sorts of things. | 这方面我是很不在行 |
[09:30] | But the thing is, | 但问题是 |
[09:31] | I’ve got to get back to China very soon. | 我很快就得回中国了 |
[09:33] | I don’t have time to be cautious. | 我没时间小心谨慎了 |
[09:36] | I’ve never thought of you in that way. | 我从来没把你往那方面想过 |
[09:38] | I improve greatly upon acquaintance. | 但越了解我 你就会越喜欢我的 |
[09:39] | I’m sure you do… | 肯定是这样 |
[09:40] | I’d do anything in my power to make you happy. | 我会尽我所能让你快乐的 |
[09:45] | Anything at all. | 什么都行 |
[09:51] | I think you’d like Shanghai. | 我想你会喜欢上海 |
[09:54] | It’s quite exciting, it is. | 是个很热闹的地方 |
[09:57] | Lots of dancing. | 有数不清的舞会 |
[09:59] | Surely you’re not expecting me to answer this second. | 不会现在就要我给您答复吧 |
[10:08] | I don’t know you at all. | 我根本不了解您 |
[10:10] | Yes. Ye… Well, we had the highest of hopes… | 我们是有很高的期望 但没想到 |
[10:14] | …but no expectation that he’d ask her so soon. | 他会这么快向她求婚 |
[10:19] | Yes. A lovely late autumn wedding. | 是啊 在深秋举行的美丽婚礼 |
[10:23] | Oh, she’s done very well for herself, has my Doris. | 哦 我的小女儿真是找了个好丈夫 |
[10:27] | At least one of them’s made a success. | 至少她们中的一个成功了 |
[10:30] | No, I gave up on Kitty ages ago. | 不我对吉蒂早就放弃希望了 |
[10:33] | Yes. | 对 |
[10:34] | Yes. Well, I know you understand. | 对 |
[10:35] | Yes. | 嗯 我知道你明白 |
[11:22] | Well? | 怎样 |
[11:25] | Is it smaller than you imagined? | 比你想象的要小一点吧 |
[11:27] | I’m not sure what I imagined. | 我什么也没想过 |
[11:31] | Don’t you have a piano? | 你没有钢琴吗 |
[11:35] | No. I don’t play the piano. | 没有 我不会弹钢琴 |
[11:46] | Who is it? | 是谁啊 |
[11:47] | It’s I. | 是我 |
[11:54] | Come in. | 请进 |
[12:06] | Just wanted to see if you were all settled. | 我只想看看你是否安顿好了 |
[12:09] | So, then, you’re comfortable, then? | 那么你觉得还舒适吗 |
[12:12] | Do you need anything? | 还需要什么吗 |
[12:14] | No. | 不用了 |
[12:15] | I’m fine. | 我很好 |
[12:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:17] | Good. Good. | 好的 好的 |
[12:44] | I am so happy you’re here. | 你在这里我真高兴 |
[13:12] | Shall I shut the lamp? | 我应该把灯关了吗 |
[13:14] | What for? | 为什么 |
[13:21] | I must shut the lamp. | 我要关灯了 |
[13:45] | It’s raining cats and dogs. | 雨下得真大呀 |
[13:52] | I said, it’s raining cats and dogs. | 我刚才说雨下得很大 |
[13:54] | Yes, I heard you. | 嗯 我听见了 |
[13:57] | You might have answered. | 你起码应该答应一声 |
[13:59] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[14:00] | I’ve gotten used to not speaking unless I have something to say. | 我是习惯了 除非有话要说 不然不会开口 |
[14:04] | If nobody spoke unless they had something to say… | 如果我们非等到有话时才说出来 |
[14:07] | …the human race would soon lose the power of speech. | 那人类很快会失去语言的功能 |
[14:18] | Walter. | 沃特 |
[14:23] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[14:26] | You’re right. What…? | 你是对的 |
[14:31] | What shall we do? Shall we? | 那我们干点什么 |
[14:33] | Shall we play a game? | 我们玩个游戏吧? |
[14:35] | You don’t like the games I play. They bore you. | 你觉得都很无聊 你不喜欢我玩的游戏 |
[14:38] | Nonsense. | 胡说 |
[14:40] | Let’s play cards. | 我们来打牌吧 |
[14:51] | Do you think you’d enjoy a night out? | 你看哪天晚上咱们出去玩玩好吗 |
[14:55] | We have an invitation for Saturday night. | 有人邀请我们参加周六的舞会 |
[14:57] | From whom? | 谁邀请的? |
[14:59] | The Townsends. | 唐森家 |
[15:02] | Dorothy Townsend. | 多萝茜·唐森 |
[15:03] | Do you not like her? | 你不喜欢她吗? |
[15:06] | I’ve only met her once, | 噢 我只跟她见过一次面 |
[15:08] | but there’s no reason for her to put on such airs. | 她不用这么自命不凡讲排场吧 |
[15:10] | Does she? | 她是这样的吗? |
[15:11] | Yes. I have no idea why. | 对呀 我也不知道为什么 |
[15:13] | Because she was, what, married to a vice consul? | 就因为她嫁了一个副领事 |
[15:17] | Honestly, they’re absurd, this Shanghai set. | 这些住上海的英国人实在是太没素质了 |
[15:20] | Mother wouldn’t dream of asking half of them to dinner. | 我母亲肯定不屑与这类人吃饭 |
[15:22] | I’m taking that black five. | 我拿了你的黑桃五啦 |
[15:28] | Well, it’s all right. | 那没关系 |
[15:30] | I thought you might enjoy it… | 我想你会喜欢的 不过 |
[15:31] | …but we certainly don’t have to go. | 我们也不是非去不可 |
[15:35] | I don’t care either way. | 我无所谓 |
[15:41] | Go where? | 去哪里? |
[15:53] | Kitty Fane? Hello, Dorothy. | 你好多萝茜 吉蒂·费恩 |
[15:55] | I’m so glad you could come. | 你们能来我太高兴了 |
[15:56] | This is Walter. | 这是沃特 |
[15:58] | I’m pleased to meet you. | 见到您很高兴 |
[15:59] | This is my husband. | 这是我的先生 |
[16:01] | Charlie, stop talking and greet our guests. | 查理 过来和我们的客人打个招呼 |
[16:04] | You know Mr. Fane. Charlie. | 你已经认识费恩先生了吧 查理 |
[16:05] | It’s Dr. Fane, darling. Oh, dear. | 亲爱的 他是费恩博士 |
[16:07] | I do beg your pardon, Dr. Fane. Not at all. | 对不起 请原谅我的失礼 费恩博士 没事 |
[16:10] | And this is Dr. Fane’s wife, Kitty. | 这位是费恩博士的太太 吉蒂 |
[16:12] | Mrs. Fane. | 费恩太太 |
[16:14] | Mr. Townsend. | 唐森先生 |
[16:15] | I do apologize, Dr. Fane. | 我真的很抱歉 费恩博士 |
[16:16] | I assumed you worked with Charlie. | 我以为您是查理在领馆的同事呢 |
[16:18] | Oh, no. Nothing so glamorous. | 噢 不 没那么高级的 |
[16:20] | I’m at the Civil Laboratory. | 我在政府实验室工作 |
[16:22] | Oh, the government lab? How fascinating. | 哦 政府实验室 多有意思啊 |
[16:53] | Are you enjoying it? | 你喜欢吗 |
[16:55] | I’ve never seen anything like it. | 我从来没看过像这样的戏 |
[17:03] | Every gesture has a meaning. | 一笑一颦都有微妙的涵义 |
[17:05] | See how she covers her face with the cloth? | 你看她用衣袖遮起了脸 |
[17:07] | She is mourning her misfortune. | 她在自悲身世 |
[17:11] | What happened to her? | 她怎么了? |
[17:17] | She was sold into slavery. | 她被卖身为奴 |
[17:20] | Condemned to a life of drudgery and despair… | 罪责加身 生活无望 |
[17:24] | …in a strange land far from home. | 流落异乡 |
[17:28] | See the chains? | 看见锁链了? |
[17:30] | They represent the heavy bondage of her poor trapped soul… | 它代表不可摆脱的枷锁 |
[17:33] | …from which there is no escape. | 永远压在她可怜的灵魂上 |
[17:37] | And so she weeps. | 所以她哀恸欲绝 |
[17:40] | She weeps for the lively, | 她为自己哭泣 |
[17:42] | vivacious girl she once was… | 她曾经是活泼可爱的少女 |
[17:47] | …the lonely woman she has become… | 却变成了世界上最孤独的女人 |
[17:51] | …and most of all, | 最重要的是 |
[17:54] | she weeps for the love she’ll never feel… | 她为自己永远不感受爱情 |
[17:58] | …for the love she’ll never give. | 也没机会付出爱情而哭泣 |
[18:04] | Is that really what she’s saying? | 她真的是在唱这些吗 |
[18:08] | Actually, I haven’t a clue what she’s on about. | 其实我根本不知道 |
[18:10] | I don’t speak Chinese. | 我一句中文都不懂 |
[19:37] | What was that? | 什么声音 |
[19:41] | Perhaps it was the amah… | 可能是女佣人或者 |
[19:56] | They’ve gone. | 他们走了 |
[20:02] | He heard us. | 他听见我们了 |
[20:03] | Who? | 你说谁 |
[20:05] | Walter. | 沃特 |
[20:07] | Walter. What if it was? | 沃特是他又怎样 |
[20:10] | For all he knows, you were taking a nap. | 他大概以为你在睡午觉 |
[20:12] | With my doors locked? | 午睡干嘛锁门 |
[20:13] | Kitty, dear, you need a drink. | 亲爱的 我看你需要来杯酒 |
[20:21] | Even if it was, my impression is he’ll do nothing. | 就算是他 也不会做出什么事来 |
[20:24] | That’s flattering. | 说得轻巧 |
[20:26] | He knows as well as anyone there’s | 他很清楚 制造排闻 |
[20:27] | nothing to be gained by making a scandal. | 对他一点好处也没有 |
[20:30] | Has it occurred to you that my husband is in love with me? | 你难道没意识到我丈夫爱我 |
[20:39] | I have a feeling you’re about to say something awful. | 我感觉你又没什么好话要说了 |
[20:42] | It’s just that women are often under the impression… | 女人总觉得男人很爱她们 |
[20:46] | …that men are much more in love with them than they really are. | 但事实上并非如此 |
[20:50] | I wouldn’t delude myself for a second that you were in love with me. | 我不会骗我自己你是爱着我的 |
[20:57] | Now there you’re wrong. | 那你这个就错了 |
[21:09] | Do you like your present? | 喜欢我给你的礼物吗 |
[21:12] | It’s good enough. | 很不错 |
[21:26] | Charlie? | 查理 |
[21:29] | Do I make you as happy as you make me? | 我能让你快乐吗 像你让我一样 |
[21:34] | Of course you do, darling. | 当然是这样 亲爱的 |
[22:10] | Hassan? Yes? | 韩三 是的 太太 |
[22:13] | Who brought this package around? Dr. Fane. | 这个包裹是谁拿来的 费恩博士 |
[22:18] | When? | 什么时候 |
[22:20] | While you sleeping. | 在您午睡的时候 |
[23:22] | It’s nearly midday. | 快中午了 |
[23:25] | We could stop up here under the trees… | 我们可以到树下休息一下 |
[23:28] | …but I’d like to press on if it’s all right with you. | 不过你要是不介意 我想接着赶路 |
[23:31] | Certainly my comfort’s of no concern to you. | 你当然不在乎我是不是舒服 |
[23:34] | Right. Then we’ll continue. | 好 那我们接着走 |
[23:45] | Charlie Townsend, please. | 请帮我找一下查理·唐森 |
[23:49] | Charles Townsend. | 我是查理·唐森 |
[23:51] | I need to see you. | 我需要见你 |
[23:52] | Kitty, I can’t possibly see you. | 吉蒂 我现在没空 |
[23:54] | I’ve got a meeting in an hour at the club. | 一小时后我要去俱乐部开会 |
[23:56] | What is it? | 什么事 |
[23:58] | I have to go. | 我得挂了 |
[24:02] | What are you doing home? | 你怎么回来了 |
[24:04] | I’m sorry, there’s something I need to speak with you about. | 对不起 我有话要和你说 |
[24:08] | Actually, I was just about to take my bath. | 哦 我正准备去洗个澡 |
[24:10] | I’m afraid it’s rather important, darling. Can’t wait. | 很重要 亲爱的 我不能再等了 |
[24:26] | Sit down. | 坐下来 |
[24:33] | Do you know a place called Mei-tan-fu? | 你听说过有个地方叫梅谭府吗 |
[24:35] | No. | 没有 |
[24:37] | Well, it… It was in the papers the other day. | 几天前报纸报导过 |
[24:40] | It’s a small town on a tributary of the Yangtze River, | 是长江支流上的一个小镇 |
[24:43] | in the interior. | 在内陆地区 |
[24:46] | They’ve had an outbreak of cholera there. | 那里爆发了可怕的霍乱 |
[24:48] | It’s the worst epidemic anyone’s seen in a long time. | 多年来最严重的传染病疫情 |
[24:51] | The Chinese medical officer has died. | 有位中国医生已染病身亡了 |
[24:53] | There’s a convent of French nuns trying to run the hospital. | 只剩下几个法国修女在主持医院 |
[24:57] | They’re doing the best they can, but people are dropping like flies. | 她们竭尽全力 但人们还是纷纷病死 |
[25:01] | I have volunteered to go and to take charge. | 我自愿提出去主持医疗工作了 |
[25:05] | Why? | 为什么 |
[25:06] | Because they need a doctor. | 因为他们需要医生 |
[25:08] | But you’re not a doctor. You’re a bacteriologist. | 可你不是医生 你是个细菌学家 |
[25:10] | I’m an M.D. | 我是医学博士 |
[25:11] | The fact that I’m foremost a scientist… | 但我首先是个科学家 |
[25:14] | …is actually all to the good in this case. | 对付霍乱是很有用的 |
[25:18] | Won’t it be awfully dangerous? | 那不是很危险吗 |
[25:21] | I suppose it might, yes. | 是的 可能是很危险的 |
[25:25] | Now, Mei-tan-fu is a 10-day journey. You can go by rail for the first part. | 去梅谭府要花十天时间 |
[25:28] | But after that it’s carriage, | 可以先坐火车 之后是马车 |
[25:31] | and then we’ll have to take a sedan chair. | 接着我们要坐轿子 |
[25:34] | Who’s we? | 你是说我们 |
[25:36] | Why, you and I, of course. | 怎么啦 当然是你和我 |
[25:38] | You’re not expecting me to come too. | 难道你想让我和你一起去 |
[25:40] | I hoped that if I was going, you would want to go. | 我以为如果我去 你也会愿意去 |
[25:42] | Surely it’s no place for a woman. | 那可不是女人能去的地方 |
[25:45] | It would be madness for me to go. | 我疯了才会去 我为什么要去? |
[25:48] | Why should I? To cheer and comfort me? | 去支持我 安慰我 |
[25:50] | No. | 不 |
[25:52] | No, I won’t go. | 不 我不会去 |
[25:54] | In fact, it’s monstrous of you to even ask me. | 你居然要求我去 真是太过分了 |
[25:56] | Fine. Then I shall file my petition for divorce tomorrow. | 好吧 那么我明天就去申请离婚 |
[26:08] | I’m afraid that you have thought me a bigger fool than I am. | 我没有你想的那么傻 |
[26:12] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不明白你在说什么 |
[26:14] | Don’t you? | 是吗 |
[26:16] | I am divorcing you for adultery. | 我以通奸为由提出离婚 |
[26:19] | I am naming Charles Townsend as your lover. | 我会指认查理·唐森为你的情人 |
[26:33] | I’m sorry, Walter. | 对不起 沃特 |
[26:35] | I realize this is very unpleasant. | 我知道这不好受 但是 |
[26:37] | But, please, let’s not make this uglier than it needs to be. | 请不要把事情弄得那么难堪 |
[26:39] | By all means. What is it that you propose that we should do? | 那你觉得我们该怎么办 |
[26:45] | You could let me divorce you quietly. | 你可以让我平静地和你离婚 |
[26:48] | You divorce me? | 让你和我离婚 |
[26:49] | On what grounds? That’s what a gentleman would do. | 能问问你凭什么吗 这样才是一个绅士会做的 |
[26:52] | Give me one reason to put myself | 你能给我一点点理由 |
[26:53] | to an inconvenience on your account. | 为什么要麻烦自己替你设想呢 |
[26:56] | Please, Walter, don’t be so hateful. | 沃特 别这么刻薄 |
[26:58] | We didn’t mean to hurt anyone. | 我们没想伤害任何人 但是 |
[27:01] | But Charlie and I have fallen in love. | 查理和我是真心相爱的 |
[27:06] | He wants to marry me. | 他要娶我 |
[27:08] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[27:09] | I knew that you weren’t the cleverest girl… | 我一直觉得你不怎么聪明 |
[27:12] | …but I didn’t know you were actually a fool. | 但没想到你竟然这么蠢 |
[27:14] | Yes. Well, if it makes you feel better to hurt me, | 伤害我如能让你舒服点 |
[27:16] | then go ahead. | 那随便你 |
[27:17] | But you might as well get used to it. | 你最好还是接受现实 |
[27:19] | We love each other. | 我们彼此相爱 |
[27:21] | And we’re sick to death of the secrecy | 我们厌倦这样偷偷模模 |
[27:22] | And compromise and the rest. | 还有生活上的妥协 |
[27:24] | Now you curse the day that you ever met me. | 遇到我对你来说本来是件不幸的事情 |
[27:26] | Stop mocking me. | 别再嘲弄我了 |
[27:27] | There’s no other response | 如此可悲的行径 |
[27:28] | for such pathetic behavior. | 只配得上这种回应 |
[27:31] | It’s comic. | 想起来有些滑稽 |
[27:32] | When I think about how hard I have tried to make you happy. | 我尽了那么大的努力让你开心 |
[27:35] | Debasing myself, acting as though I was as thrilled | 不惜贬低我自己 即便是听你讲流言羞语 |
[27:38] | as you by the latest gossip. | 也假装和你一样兴奋 |
[27:40] | I don’t have to listen to this. And as ignorant of the world as you are… | 装得像你一样庸俗无知 闭嘴 |
[27:43] | If you interrupt me again, I’ll strangle you. | 你要是再敢插嘴我就掐死你 |
[27:46] | Sit down. | 坐下 |
[27:49] | I knew when I married you | 娶你的时候 |
[27:52] | that you were selfish and spoiled. | 我知道你自私娇惯 |
[27:55] | But I loved you. | 但我爱过你 |
[27:58] | I knew that you married me only to get | 我知道你肯嫁给我 |
[27:59] | as far away from your mother as possible… | 只是为了离开你母亲越远越好 |
[28:02] | …and I hoped that one day | 但我一直希望 |
[28:04] | there’d be something more. | 我们的感情会逐渐加深 |
[28:08] | I was wrong. | 但我错了 |
[28:11] | You don’t have it in you. | 你没能力改变你的感情 |
[28:14] | If a man hasn’t what’s necessary to make a woman love him… | 一个男人如没办法让女人爱上他 |
[28:16] | …then it’s his fault, | 那是他的错 |
[28:18] | not hers. | 不是她的 |
[28:20] | Either way. | 不管怎么样 |
[28:23] | Tomorrow morning we are to leave for Mei-tan-fu, | 明早要么我们一起去梅谭府 |
[28:25] | or I shall file my petition. | 要么我去申请离婚 |
[28:27] | You can’t be serious about taking me | 沃特 你不是真的要带我去 |
[28:29] | into the middle of a cholera epidemic. | 霍乱蔓延的地方吧 |
[28:32] | Do you think that I’m not? | 你觉得我在开玩笑吗 |
[28:35] | My God. | 天啊 |
[28:38] | That’s what you want, isn’t it? | 这就是你想要的是吗 |
[28:42] | Do you really think Charlie will let you do this? | 你以为查理会允许你这么做吗 |
[28:44] | I don’t think Charlie has very much to say about it. | 我想查理对这件事没资格表态 |
[28:49] | Everything you said is true. | 你说的一切都没错 |
[28:53] | Everything. | 一切都没错 |
[28:55] | I married you even though I didn’t love you. | 我嫁给你 但我并不爱你 |
[28:58] | But you knew that. | 但你一直都知道 |
[29:01] | Aren’t you as much to blame for what’s happened as I? | 你不是和我一样都有责任吗 |
[29:18] | All right. | 好吧 |
[29:21] | Here’s what I’ll do. | 我看这样吧 |
[29:24] | Gentlemen, we all have assets to protect here. | 先生们 我们在这里都有财产要保护 |
[29:27] | Unfortunately, Mr. Nagata’s actions | 不幸的是 长门先生的行为 |
[29:29] | have created a rather urgent situation. | 已造成相当危急的局面 |
[29:31] | It was an unfortunate | 是很不幸 |
[29:33] | but unavoidable incident. | 但是个不可避免的意外 |
[29:35] | Your foreman shot a worker. | 你的工头开枪打死了一个工人 |
[29:36] | He was an agitator. | 他是带头闹事的 |
[29:38] | He was a Chinese. | 是一个中国人 |
[29:41] | You may have suppressed a very small strike… | 你们可能镇压了一次小罢工 |
[29:43] | …but in doing so, | 但你却引发了 |
[29:45] | you have started a very large demonstration. | 一个大规模的示威游行 |
[30:05] | I need to use your pen, please. | 用一下您的笔 谢谢 |
[30:07] | Here you are, miss. Thank you. | 您请用 小姐 |
[30:12] | What about support from Chiang Kai-shek? | 找蒋介石帮忙怎么样 |
[30:14] | Where does he stand? | 他对这件事是什么态度 |
[30:15] | He’s a nationalist. He will stand on the side of the Chinese. | 他是国民党 他会站在中国人那边 |
[30:19] | That’s why they call themselves nationalists. | 所以他们才叫自己国民党 |
[30:21] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[30:23] | Mr. Townsend. | 唐森先生 |
[30:29] | I think you underestimated the situation. | 你低估了目前的形势 |
[30:31] | I have three of my mills shut down because of walkouts. | 因为罢工 我的三间工厂已关闭了 |
[30:34] | There is talk about boycotts. | 他们又说要全面罢工 |
[30:36] | What do you propose? | 你有什么提议 |
[30:37] | A handful of municipal soldiers is hardly a show of force. | 区区几个市政府卫兵起不了作用 |
[30:40] | If you’ll excuse me. | 对不起 失陪一下 |
[30:46] | Mrs. Fane. What a pleasant surprise. | 费恩太太 很高兴见到您 |
[30:49] | You’ve rescued me from a pack of wild bores. | 您把我从这帮无聊的人中解救了出来 |
[30:51] | I wouldn’t have come if it wasn’t necessary. | 如没必要我是不会来的 |
[30:58] | Are you all right? | 你怎么啦 |
[31:00] | I needed to see you. I’m sorry. | 我有事找你 对不起 |
[31:03] | Kitty, this is not the most opportune time for me to… | 吉蒂 我现在不太方便 |
[31:05] | Charlie. He knows. | 查理 他都知道了 |
[31:09] | Right. | 是这样 嗯 |
[31:20] | After you, Mrs. Fane. | 费恩太太 您先请 |
[31:22] | Hello, Charlie. Hello, George. | 查理 你好 你好 乔治 |
[31:29] | Hello, Townsend. | 你好 唐森 |
[31:30] | Pardon. | 亚当 |
[31:39] | He wants a divorce. | 他要离婚 |
[31:44] | You didn’t commit yourself, did you? | 你没表态吧 |
[31:46] | Acknowledge anything? | 没承认吧 |
[31:48] | No. | 没有 |
[31:49] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗? |
[31:50] | Quite sure. | 你确定吗? |
[31:55] | Well, | 哦 |
[31:57] | this is a bloody scrape we’re in. | 我们现在麻烦大了 |
[32:01] | He says he has proof. | 他说他有证据 |
[32:03] | We deny it. | 我们就不承认 |
[32:04] | He can’t prove anything. | 他证明不了什么 |
[32:06] | Besides, it wouldn’t do him any good to create a scandal. | 再说丑闻对沃特也没什么好处 |
[32:09] | But there isn’t going to be a scandal. | 但不会有什么丑闻的 |
[32:11] | Walter’s agreed to let me divorce him quietly. | 沃特同意不声张 要和我悄悄地离婚 |
[32:20] | That’s not so terrible, is it? | 哦 那也不是太坏 不是吗? |
[32:25] | Will you hold me? Of course I will. | 抱着我好吗 当然 |
[32:31] | Oh, God. | 天啊 |
[32:35] | Charlie? | 查理 |
[32:38] | His offer comes with a condition. | 他有一个条件 |
[32:45] | I’m not a rich man. | 我可没多少钱 |
[32:47] | He doesn’t want your money. | 他不是要你的钱 |
[32:49] | He’s agreed to let me divorce him | 他同意让我跟他离婚 |
[32:51] | if Dorothy will agree to divorce you. | 如果多萝茜同意和你离婚 |
[32:54] | And if… | 而且 |
[32:57] | What? | 怎样 |
[32:59] | If you’ll promise to marry me. | 如果你发誓会娶我为妻 |
[33:08] | You know, darling, whatever happens, | 你知道不管发生什么事情 |
[33:10] | we must try to keep Dorothy out of it. | 我们都不能把多萝茜扯进来 |
[33:14] | What do you mean? | 你这是什么意思 |
[33:16] | We can’t only think of ourselves. | 我们不能只想着自己 |
[33:19] | I know Dorothy. | 我了解多萝茜 |
[33:20] | Nothing in the world will induce her to divorce me. | 她绝对不会跟我离婚 |
[33:25] | You don’t want to divorce her. | 你不想和她离婚 |
[33:27] | It’s not a question of my marriage. | 这不只是我和她的问题 |
[33:29] | Then what is it? | 那还有什么? |
[33:30] | Do you have any idea of the importance of my station here? | 你知道我的职位有多重要吗? |
[33:32] | If I were… | 如果我 |
[33:35] | Why are you laughing? | 你笑什么? |
[33:43] | I don’t think Walter intended for one minute to divorce me. | 我想沃特从没打算跟我离婚 |
[33:47] | He knew you’d let me down. | 他知道你肯定会让我失望 |
[33:49] | Try to understand. | 体谅我一下吧 |
[33:50] | I understand, all right. | 我全明白 |
[33:52] | Kitty. Kitty, please. | 吉蒂 吉蒂 别这样 |
[33:54] | We’ll work this out, I promise. | 我们会有办法的 |
[34:17] | I’m coming with you. | 我和你一起去 |
[34:19] | Good. I thought you might. | 好 我知道你会的 |
[34:25] | I suppose I needn’t take more than a few summer things? | 带一些夏装和一身寿衣 |
[34:27] | And a shroud? | 其它就不需要了吧 |
[34:28] | I’ve told Hassan what you’ll need. | 我已告诉女佣了 |
[34:29] | She’s packing already. | 她正在帮你收拾行李 |
[36:31] | I wouldn’t touch that if I was you. | 我要是你就不会碰它 |
[36:34] | They may have died in that bed. | 他们可能就死在那张床上 |
[36:37] | This can be your room. | 这个房间给你用 |
[36:58] | You must be the doctor’s wife. | 您应该是医生的太太 |
[37:01] | I’ve just met your husband | 我刚碰到你先生 |
[37:02] | and invited myself to dinner. | 约好了和你们吃晚饭 |
[37:05] | I’ve kept the Watsons’ cook for you. | 我还为你们留着华生的厨师 |
[37:06] | She’s not bad. | 她还不错 |
[37:07] | She’ll have to do as your amah as well. | 但她还得兼做你们的女佣 |
[37:10] | We’re a little short-handed here. | 我们这里人手太少 |
[37:12] | Sorry, my name is Waddington. | 不好意思 我叫维廷顿 |
[37:15] | Oh, yes, of course. Kitty Fane. | 当然 吉蒂·费恩 |
[37:17] | I’m the deputy commissioner. | 我是负责这个地区的副官 |
[37:19] | Please. | 请 |
[37:21] | I believe you’re one of our neighbors. | 我想您是我们的邻居之一吧 |
[37:24] | Only neighbor,I’m afraid. | 恐怕是唯一的邻居 |
[37:26] | Last one standing. | 最后一个还活着的 |
[37:28] | And Watson was the missionary living here? | 华生是以前住这里的传教士吗? |
[37:31] | Yes. Nice fellow. | 是的 是个好人 |
[37:32] | American. Lovely family. | 美国人 很好的一家人 |
[37:36] | I’ll show you their graves tomorrow, if you like. | 明天带你去看他们的墓地好吗? |
[37:39] | How kind of you. | 不必了您太客气了 |
[37:41] | I hope your journey wasn’t too arduous. | 你们来的路上不是太辛苦吧 |
[37:43] | We’ve been traveling for two weeks. | 我们在路上走了两个星期 |
[37:46] | Two weeks? | 两周 |
[37:48] | What did you do, swim? | 你们怎么来的 游泳吗? |
[37:49] | No, we didn’t come upriver. Came overland. | 不是 我们没走水路 走的是陆路 |
[37:52] | Whatever for? | 为什么? |
[37:54] | Well, we wanted to take in a bit of the countryside. | 嗯 想看看乡间美景 |
[37:57] | Get a bit of sun. Didn’t we, darling? | 晒晒太阳 对吧 亲爱的? |
[38:05] | Anyone for a cocktail? | 有谁想喝一杯? |
[38:08] | Here’s luck. | 祝各位好运 |
[38:14] | I was told I might get some help from the local army officer. | 我听说有位本地军官可能会帮助我 |
[38:17] | Colonel Yu, is it? | 是于团长吗 |
[38:19] | Good luck with him. He’s not fond of us British. | 他呀 他不是很喜欢我们英国人 |
[38:23] | Listen, I’ll warn you, | 我可要提醒你们 |
[38:26] | things are pretty dicey even out here. | 即便是外地情况也是很紧张的 |
[38:29] | I’m afraid that if the cholera doesn’t get us, | 就算霍乱不找上门来 |
[38:31] | the nationalists might. | 那些反帝国主义者有可能来找麻烦 |
[38:33] | Tried to get those nuns to go | 我试着叫那些修女离开 |
[38:34] | but they refused. | 却被她们拒绝了 |
[38:36] | They all want to be martyrs, damn them. | 她们他妈的都想当殉教者 |
[38:38] | Well, why have you stayed? | 那你为什么留下来 |
[38:41] | I was posted here. Simple as that. | 我是被派到这里的 就这么简单 |
[38:45] | I was shocked to hear you’d volunteered. | 听说你是自愿来的 我简直太吃惊了 |
[38:48] | Opportunity for research.I couldn’t pass it up. | 是个研究的好机会 我不想错过 |
[38:52] | Yes. And you? | 是吗 那你呢? |
[38:55] | I don’t suppose you’ve come to Mei-tan-fu for the research. | 你肯定不是来做研究吧 |
[38:58] | My husband’s the scientist. | 我丈夫才是科学家 |
[39:00] | Indeed. | 当然了 |
[39:02] | Did you have any reaction to the inoculation? | 你接种疫苗有什么不良反应吗? |
[39:06] | You have been inoculated? | 你接种疫苗了吧 |
[39:08] | Yes, of course. | 当然 |
[39:10] | No guarantee. The Watsons were inoculated… | 那也不是万元一失的 |
[39:12] | …and it didn’t do them much good. | 华生一家都打过 也没有起作用 |
[39:15] | Oh, have you brought any gramophone records? | 你有没有带些唱片来 |
[39:19] | No, unfortunately not. Pity. | 没有真遗憾 没带 |
[39:22] | I’m sick of all mine. | 可惜我听腻了我的所有唱片 |
[39:30] | Listen. | 听 |
[39:31] | What’s all that? | 那都是什么声音 |
[39:34] | Across the river. | 河对面 |
[39:35] | Trying to frighten off the spirit of death. | 他们正努力驱赶孤魂野鬼 |
[39:46] | I’m going to town in the morning, have a look around. | 我明早要去镇上看看 |
[39:49] | I expect you’ll want to rest. | 你先休息一下 |
[39:50] | I can inoculate you in the evening. | 晚上我给你打疫苗 |
[39:52] | Will you be doing yourself? | 那你自己呢 |
[39:54] | No, I don’t think so. | 不 我不打了 |
[39:57] | You needn’t bother with me, then. | 那我也不用打了 |
[39:58] | Suit yourself. | 随你便 |
[40:01] | Tell me, Walter… | 告诉我沃特 |
[40:05] | …is it a long, drawn-out affair, | 染上霍乱等死 |
[40:06] | dying of cholera? | 是个漫长而痛苦的过程吗 |
[40:07] | No. All of the fluid goes out of you in the first 36 hours. | 前三十六个小时内 |
[40:09] | You die of dehydration, | 体内所有水分消耗殆尽 |
[40:10] | actually. | 其实就是死于严重脱水 |
[40:13] | So it’s messy and very painful. | 确实非常痛苦 |
[40:16] | But it is relatively quick. | 但相对来说死得还是很快的 |
[40:20] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[40:48] | It’s rather unfortunate. | 非常不幸 |
[40:50] | I thought perhaps that you and your wife… | 可能你和你的太太要有所准备 |
[40:52] | …you’d like to take precautions in case you’d have to leave this place. | 以备突然要离开 |
[40:55] | Do you think all this is really necessary? | 你觉得有必要这样做吗 |
[40:57] | You can see the picture. | 你会看到的 |
[40:59] | I thought you’d like to | 我想在这种情况下 |
[41:03] | put your wife’s mind at rest from this situation. | 你会想让你太太放心一点 |
[41:08] | This is Colonel Yu. He’s the KMT’s man. | 这位是国民党的于团长 |
[41:11] | He’s posting one of his men here at the house. | 他派了一名士兵来保护我们 |
[41:14] | Am I a prisoner? | 那我不就成了囚犯? |
[41:15] | No. It was Mr. Waddington’s idea, actually. | 不 这其实是维廷顿的主意 |
[41:18] | He feels we should take precautions. | 他觉得我们得小心一点 |
[41:20] | Precautions against what? | 小心什么 |
[41:23] | A few days ago, British troops opened fire… | 前几天在上海的英国军队 |
[41:26] | …on a group of Chinese workers who were demonstrating in Shanghai. | 冲着示威的中国工人开枪了 |
[41:30] | Eleven were killed. | 死了十一个人 |
[41:32] | We’ve only just heard. | 我们是刚听说的 |
[41:34] | Those were plastered around the town last night. | 昨晚镇子上到处贴着这些告示 |
[41:39] | I shouldn’t worry too much. | 我想你们不用太担心 |
[41:41] | Even the nationalists are afraid of cholera. | 即便是反帝国主义者也害怕霍乱的 |
[42:42] | Do they take that water from the well? | 他们是直接从井里打水吗 |
[42:44] | Can I see where they get their drinking water? | 团长我能去看村民打水的地方吗 |
[43:01] | Well, for starters, we’ve got to stop people from using this well… | 在我做化验之前 |
[43:04] | …until I can test it. | 得让大家先不要从这口井打水 |
[43:13] | Do you understand? | 你明白吗 |
[43:15] | Yes, I understand, Dr. Fane. | 是的 我明白 费恩博土 |
[43:17] | I received my military training in Moscow. | 我曾经在莫斯科受训 |
[43:21] | If you don’t like English, | 如果你不喜欢说英语 |
[43:22] | we can speak Russian. | 咱们可以说俄语 |
[43:25] | English will be fine. Thank you. | 英语好一点 谢谢 |
[43:42] | Here. | 这儿 |
[43:43] | You have seen cholera before, yes, doctor? | 医生 你以前见过霍乱 对吧? |
[43:45] | At the laboratory, of course. | 当然 在实验室见过 |
[43:47] | No, I mean in a patient. | 不 我是说临床 |
[43:49] | No. I haven’t had the chance, actually. | 没有 我还没有这个机会 |
[43:55] | Well, I’m not a clinician. | 我不是临床大夫 |
[43:57] | Did they not tell you? | 他们没跟你说过吗 |
[43:58] | I’m an infectious-disease specialist. | 我是传染病专家 |
[44:03] | Shall we? | 我们进去吧 |
[44:05] | After you, doctor. | 医生您先请 |
[44:17] | No, it’s all right. I’m all right. | 不 我很好 没事 |
[44:21] | All right, let’s go. | 没事 继续 |
[45:31] | I don’t need you. | 我不需要你 |
[45:36] | Go back. | 你回去吧 |
[45:45] | Mr. Waddington? | 维廷顿先生 |
[45:51] | I’m looking for Mr. Waddington. | 我来找维廷顿先生 |
[46:06] | Wait here. All right? | 你在这里等好吗 |
[46:15] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[46:17] | Mr. Waddington? | 维廷顿先生 |
[46:29] | Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[46:31] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[46:38] | What can I do for you, Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 我能为您效劳吗? |
[46:40] | I found a record for you. | 我帮您找了一张唱片 |
[46:44] | Stravinsky. | 斯特拉文斯基 |
[46:46] | Very modern. Thank you. | 很时髦 谢谢您 |
[46:51] | Was there something else? | 您还有什么事吗? |
[46:54] | Yes. I was wondering if you could tell me | 是的 您能否告诉我 |
[46:56] | when the post comes through. | 邮递员什么时候来 |
[46:57] | It’s for Shanghai. | 我有信要寄到上海 |
[46:59] | Unfortunately, since the cholera… | 很不幸 霍乱爆发以来 |
[47:00] | …the cowards won’t venture past the river port. | 没有人愿意送信了 |
[47:02] | But leave it with me. | 不过把它留给我吧 |
[47:05] | A local trader I know is making the trip on Friday. | 我认识的商人周五会去上海 |
[47:09] | Townsend. | 唐森 |
[47:11] | Charlie Townsend? Yes. | 查理·唐森 |
[47:12] | He’s an acquaintance of my husband. | 是的是我先生的熟人 |
[47:15] | Do you know him? Years ago. | 认识他吗 |
[47:17] | We were both assigned to the consulate in Shanghai. | 几年前我们一起被派到上海领馆 |
[47:22] | Charming wife. | 他的太太很迷人 |
[47:24] | Yes. They’re very popular, aren’t they? | 对他们很受欢迎 |
[47:26] | He’d made a science of popularity. | 是唐森在这方面很有天赋 |
[47:28] | So you know his family? Well, well enough. | 你认识他的家人 |
[47:30] | I like Dorothy. | 相当熟 我喜欢多萝茜 |
[47:34] | Yes, I understand they’re quite the devoted couple. | 他们两个好像彼此情投意合 |
[47:37] | Oh, he had his little flirtations. | 当然他喜欢跟女人调调情 |
[47:40] | Nothing serious. | 不会是认真的吧 |
[47:43] | I once heard her say she found it most unflattering… | 有一次我听她说过 |
[47:46] | …that the women who fell for her husband were | 那些瞄上她丈夫的女人 |
[47:47] | so consistently second-rate. | 都是些二流的货色 |
[47:56] | Well, enjoy the record. | 这样啊 希望您喜欢这唱片 |
[48:00] | Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[48:04] | The letter. | 那信呢 |
[48:06] | Right. | 哦 对 |
[48:08] | Yes, it suddenly occurred to me that Friday’s much too late. | 我突然想起来 星期五可能太晚了 |
[48:11] | Thanks all the same. | 但还是谢谢您 |
[48:39] | Can you pass the salt, please? | 能把盐递给我吗 |
[48:45] | I’m sorry, did you say something? | 对不起 你刚才说什么? |
[48:47] | Could you pass the salt? | 麻烦你把盐递给我 |
[48:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[49:11] | So this is how it’s going to be. | 那么日子就是这样了 |
[49:14] | Passing her evenings in silence. | 每晚她无声无息地度过 |
[49:24] | Walter. | 沃特 |
[49:27] | Walter. | 沃特 |
[49:30] | I wonder if you haven’t gone insane. | 你失去理智了吗? |
[49:40] | She’s not cooking it. Leave it. | 她没煮过 放着吧 |
[49:43] | Leave it. | 放下 |
[49:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[49:56] | Are you looking to kill yourself? | 你是想自杀吗 |
[50:36] | Town well’s contaminated. | 镇上的井水被污染了 |
[50:48] | This is dirty. It’s dirty. | 这个脏 脏 |
[51:31] | What? | 什么 |
[51:49] | Mr. Waddington? | 维廷顿先生 |
[52:37] | Mrs. Fane? Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[52:39] | Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[52:45] | Come away. Come away. | 到这边来 |
[53:08] | What’s the matter with Te-Ming? | 德明怎么了 |
[53:12] | You have the dead man on you. | 您有鬼魂缠身呢 |
[53:15] | They’re very superstitious, aren’t they? | 他们很迷信是吧 |
[53:17] | She’s lost three children and a husband to the cholera. | 她的丈夫和三个孩子都死于霍乱 |
[53:20] | So you can hardly blame her. | 您就不能责怪她了 |
[53:41] | You know, | 您知道 |
[53:43] | this is no place for a woman. | 这里可不是一个女人呆的地方 |
[53:51] | When they telegraphed me that you were coming out, | 当时我接到电报说您要来 |
[53:53] | I was astonished. | 我真是很惊讶 |
[53:57] | I imagined you might be a grim-visaged old nurse… | 我以为您会是个又老又丑的护士 |
[54:02] | …with thick legs and a moustache. | 长着粗壮的腿和小胡子 |
[54:06] | I came into the bungalow and there you were… | 后来我走进平房看见您 |
[54:10] | …frail and tired | 那么柔弱疲惫 |
[54:13] | and very unhappy. | 而且很不开心 |
[54:17] | It was a long journey. | 旅途太漫长了 |
[54:19] | But you’re unhappy now. | 但您现在还是不开心 |
[54:23] | And it occurred to me that you and your husband might | 我本来想 您和您的丈夫 |
[54:24] | be madly in love… | 一定非常恩爱 |
[54:27] | …and you’d simply refused to stay behind. | 而您不肯一个人留在上海 |
[54:31] | That’s a reasonable explanation. Yes. | 那是个合理的解释 |
[54:34] | But it’s not the right one. | 是的 但好像又不太对 |
[54:38] | Do you know what I find strange? | 您知道我觉得哪里奇怪吗? |
[54:42] | That your husband should never look at you. | 您的丈夫从来不看您 |
[54:44] | He looks at the walls, the floor, his shoes. | 他老是看着墙地板和鞋子 |
[54:51] | He has a great deal on his mind. | 他有太多事情要操心了 |
[54:54] | Yes, I’m sure of it. | 嗯 的确是这样 |
[55:00] | Dr. Fane? | 费恩博士 |
[55:02] | Dr. Fane? | 费恩博士 |
[55:05] | Oh, God. | 哦 天啊 |
[55:08] | All right. | 好的 |
[55:41] | What are you doing? | 你在干嘛 |
[55:47] | Martini? | 马提尼酒 |
[55:59] | Yes? | 谁呀 |
[56:03] | I’m the bearer of a message from the Mother Superior. | 院长让我给你梢个口信 |
[56:12] | Who? | 谁 |
[56:14] | The nun who supervises the orphanage and the hospital. | 管理孤儿院和医院的修女 |
[56:23] | I didn’t know she was aware of my existence. | 我以为她不知道我的存在 |
[56:25] | Well, apparently, Mr. Waddington has spoken of you. | 好像维廷顿跟她说起过你 |
[56:28] | She would very much like to meet the loving, loyal wife… | 她很想见见仁慈的费恩医生的 |
[56:33] | …of the compassionate Dr. Fane. | 那位深情又忠诚的太太 |
[56:36] | Right. Then I must prepare myself for the charade. | 那我得准备装腔作势了 |
[56:40] | She does understand if you… | 她也能理解 如果 |
[56:44] | …don’t want to venture into the center of the epidemic. | 你不想到疫区最严重的地方去 |
[56:47] | If you’re not afraid, why should I be? | 你都不怕我怕什么 |
[56:50] | I forgot. | 我忘了 |
[56:53] | Walter? | 沃特 |
[56:54] | Oh, my God. | 我的上帝 |
[56:57] | You’re drunk. | 你喝醉了 |
[57:56] | Don’t expect anything grand. | 别期待太高 |
[57:57] | They’re miserably poor. | 她们穷得要命 |
[58:19] | Hello. | 你好 |
[58:21] | It is a great pleasure to make the acquaintance… | 真是太荣幸 能认识 |
[58:23] | …of the wife of our good and brave doctor. | 我们勇敢好心医生的太太 |
[58:26] | Lovely to meet you too. | 我也很高兴能认识您 |
[58:28] | Mr. Waddington. | 维廷顿先生 |
[58:31] | You must eat the madeleine. | 您一定得尝尝艾德琳饼 |
[58:34] | Sister St. Joseph made them for you herself this morning. | 圣约瑟夫修女今早亲手为您做的 |
[58:43] | So tell me, Mrs. Fane… | 请告诉我 费恩太太 |
[58:46] | …to which faith do you subscribe? | 您信奉什么宗教 |
[58:50] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[58:54] | We attended services. | 我们去教堂做礼拜 |
[58:57] | Not religiously… Regularly. | 但不是特别认真的 |
[59:01] | You could say I’m a member of the Church of England. | 也可以说我是英格兰教会的一员 |
[59:05] | Which is an inoffensive way of saying… | 那间接地说就是 |
[59:07] | …you don’t quite believe in anything much. | 您并不太信奉任何宗教 |
[59:11] | You’re very pretty. | 您非常漂亮 |
[59:13] | And very young. | 也非常年轻 |
[59:15] | I assure you I’m not. I feel ancient. | 我不年轻 我觉得自己很老了 |
[59:23] | If Mrs. Fane would like to see over the convent and orphanage… | 要是您想参观修道院和孤儿院 |
[59:26] | …I shall be glad to show her. | 我很愿意带您去参观一下 |
[59:30] | Alone. | 只您一人 |
[59:45] | We keep the older girls busy with sewing. | 年纪大的缝衣服 |
[59:47] | It keeps them occupied. | 这样子她们有事情做 |
[59:50] | And earns money for the convent. | 也能帮修道院嫌点钱 |
[59:56] | That one won’t allow us to baptize her. | 那女孩不让我们给她施洗礼 |
[1:00:08] | Our music room. | 我们的音乐教室 |
[1:00:12] | Sister Maryse. | 修女玛丽斯 |
[1:00:35] | Sister Dominique was our pianist. | 多梅尼科修女曾是我们钢琴师 |
[1:00:38] | She died last week. Cholera. | 她上周死于霍乱 |
[1:00:46] | Through there is the infirmary. | 从这里穿过去是病房 |
[1:00:51] | It is not a sight one would wish to see. | 我劝你还是不要看了 |
[1:00:56] | Shall I call Dr. Fane out to see you? | 我是否通知费恩博士出来见您? |
[1:00:58] | No. You needn’t disturb him. | 不用 不必打扰他 |
[1:01:01] | Now, with the epidemic, | 霍乱四处蔓延 |
[1:01:04] | we have even more to care for. | 要照顾的人越来越多 |
[1:01:07] | This baby was brought in this morning. | 这个婴儿是今早送来的 |
[1:01:10] | Another orphan. | 又多了个孤儿 |
[1:01:18] | She says Dr. Fane loves babies. | 她说费恩博士喜欢婴儿 |
[1:01:20] | He spends as much time as he can helping them out in the nursery. | 他总是尽量留在育婴室帮忙 |
[1:01:33] | Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[1:01:36] | Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[1:01:38] | You all right? | 您还好吗? |
[1:01:40] | Yes. | 是 |
[1:01:42] | It’s nothing, | 我没事 |
[1:01:44] | only foolishness. | 只是太愚蠢了 |
[1:02:45] | What do you want? | 你在干什么? |
[1:02:48] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:02:51] | I brought you your supper. | 我把你的晚饭带来了 |
[1:02:52] | All right. Just leave it there. | 好 就放在那里吧 |
[1:03:01] | Is there something else? | 还有什么事吗? |
[1:03:03] | What’s that you’re doing? | 你在做什么呢 |
[1:03:08] | I am testing the nitrate levels of a local tomato. | 测试本地西红柿的硝酸盐含量 |
[1:03:13] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:03:15] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:03:18] | Can’t possibly interest you. | 你对这个不会感兴趣的 |
[1:03:22] | Well, enjoy your supper. | 好吧 好好享用你的晚餐 |
[1:03:35] | Walter. | 沃特 |
[1:03:39] | What do you propose we should do if we get through the epidemic? | 假如我们能度过霍乱以后怎么办 |
[1:03:42] | I have no idea. | 我也不知道 |
[1:03:44] | But I don’t think | 但我认为 |
[1:03:45] | any good will come of talking about | 总谈论该忘掉的事情 |
[1:03:46] | a situation we should forget. | 可不会有什么好处 |
[1:03:48] | But you don’t forget. | 但你是不会把它忘掉的 |
[1:03:49] | Please. I really must work. | 对不起 我确实要工作了 |
[1:03:51] | Won’t you listen to what I have to say? | 你不能听听我要说的吗? |
[1:03:53] | All right. If you insist. | 如果你坚持的话 |
[1:04:00] | It’s just, today… | 今天我 |
[1:04:03] | …having been at the convent, with those nuns. | 和修女们一起呆在修道院 |
[1:04:07] | What have they done, converted you? | 她们干什么了?让你参加教会? |
[1:04:09] | No. | 不是 |
[1:04:12] | They spoke of you.And it made me feel… | 她们说起你让我觉得 |
[1:04:14] | What? | 什么 |
[1:04:16] | It made you feel what?I think I’ve been afraid of you. | 让你觉得什么? 我好像一直很害怕你 |
[1:04:17] | Well, you should have been. | 你是应该怕我 |
[1:04:23] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[1:04:25] | If I can’t work, I’m going to bed. | 如果不能工作 我就要去睡觉了 |
[1:04:39] | I know you’re angry at me. | 我知道你还生气 |
[1:04:42] | But if we could just try and talk about… | 但我们能不能试着谈一谈 |
[1:04:45] | Honestly, I don’t understand you. | 我根本不理解 |
[1:04:46] | What is it that you want from me? | 你到底要我干什么 |
[1:04:49] | Perhaps I just want us to be | 也许我希望 |
[1:04:50] | a little less unhappy. | 我们可以不这么痛苦 |
[1:04:51] | You’re mistaken in thinking I am. | 你如果觉得我痛苦 那你就错了 |
[1:04:53] | I have too much to do to | 我要做的事情太多 |
[1:04:54] | think of you very much. | 根本没时间想你 |
[1:04:55] | That’s exactly what I’m trying to say. | 这正是我要说的 |
[1:04:58] | I feel useless. | 我觉得自己没用 |
[1:04:59] | What do you propose that I do about that? | 那你觉得这关我的事吗? |
[1:05:00] | For God sakes, | 沃特 看在老天的份上 |
[1:05:01] | will you stop punishing me? | 你别再惩罚我了 |
[1:05:06] | Do you absolutely despise me? | 你真的这么恨我吗 |
[1:05:11] | No. I despise myself. | 不 我只是恨我自己 |
[1:05:12] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:05:14] | For allowing myself to love you once. | 因为我曾经爱过你 |
[1:07:31] | Hello. | 你们好 |
[1:07:36] | I’m very well. And you? | 我很好 你呢 |
[1:07:40] | For you. And you. | 给你 还有你 |
[1:08:09] | I hope I haven’t come at an inconvenient time. | 您现在方便吗? |
[1:08:12] | Sister Maryse died last night. | 马里斯修女昨天夜里过世了 |
[1:08:15] | I’ve just written to inform her parents. | 我刚给她的父母写了封信 |
[1:08:17] | I’m so sorry. | 真遗憾 |
[1:08:20] | But it is sinful of me to grieve… | 但我不该为她太悲伤 |
[1:08:23] | …when I know that her good and simple soul has flown straight to heaven. | 她美好单纯的灵魂已升入天堂了 |
[1:08:29] | How can I help you? | 我能帮您做什么吗? |
[1:08:32] | Well, I’m sure that with the sister’s death… | 嗯 修女过世了 |
[1:08:36] | …you must be even more short-handed. | 我想你们一定更缺人手 |
[1:08:39] | You see, I was wondering if I could come to the convent… | 我在想我能不能来修道院 |
[1:08:43] | …and do anything, just… Just to help out. | 做点事情 就算当个帮手 |
[1:08:48] | My dear child, don’t you think you’ve done enough… | 你不觉得你和丈夫一起来这儿 |
[1:08:50] | …coming here with your husband? | 已经做得够多了吗? |
[1:08:52] | I’ve been here a month… | 我来这里已经一个月了 |
[1:08:54] | …and, believe me, I have nothing to do from morning till night. | 从早到晚都没事可做 |
[1:08:58] | Perhaps I could help with the sisters in the hospital. | 也许我能帮修女们做点什么 |
[1:09:02] | That is impossible.Cholera is a terrible thing to see. | 不行 霍乱是非常恐怖的 |
[1:09:06] | Besides, what would happen if you should fall ill? | 再说 如果您染上病怎么办? |
[1:09:08] | I’d be happy to scrub the floors. | 擦地板也行 什么都行 |
[1:09:10] | Anything. Just something to feel useful. | 只要让我觉得自己还有点用 |
[1:09:15] | That will not be necessary. | 那倒是不用 |
[1:09:17] | The orphans scrub the floors. | 地板是这里的孤儿擦的 |
[1:09:19] | No, no, it is our business and our privilege to do such things. | 不 不 这都是我们应该做的事情 |
[1:09:26] | But there is always more to do each day. | 不过每天事情确实越来越多 |
[1:09:31] | Have you spoken to your husband of your wish? | 你和你的先生说过这个想法了吗 |
[1:09:35] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:09:47] | I don’t know what you’re saying. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[1:09:58] | I also found traces in the river, | 我在河水里发现了污染的痕迹 |
[1:10:00] | downstream from the burial grounds. | 下游接近坟场的地方 |
[1:10:02] | You’ve checked these results? | 这些结果你已经检验了 |
[1:10:04] | I tested it three times. | 我已经检验过三遍了 |
[1:10:08] | Well, that’s it, then. | 那么只能这样了 |
[1:10:10] | I would recommend barricading the bathing area. | 我建议把下游附近的水源围起来 |
[1:10:14] | Cut off all access to the river. | 不许任何人接近河水 |
[1:10:16] | How far do you expect people to walk for water? | 那你要让村民走多远去挑水? |
[1:10:19] | I’ve no idea. | 我一点也不知道 |
[1:10:20] | Upriver, at least a half-mile above the burial ground. | 往上游走 至少要离坟场半英里 |
[1:10:24] | That’s too far. | 那太远了 |
[1:10:25] | Nevertheless. | 没办法 |
[1:10:26] | I agree with Dr. Fane. | 我同意费恩博士说的 |
[1:10:29] | It’s necessary. | 必须这样 |
[1:10:32] | Also, I thought we’d agreed to post a directive… | 而且我们不是同意了贴个告示 |
[1:10:34] | …to dispose of the corpses immediately. | 指示大家必须马上把尸体埋掉 |
[1:10:36] | We’ve done that already. | 我们已经这样做了 |
[1:10:37] | If you don’t enforce it, then it doesn’t matter. | 如不强制执行的话就起不了作用 |
[1:10:40] | Families are hiding bodies for days. | 有的人把尸体停放在家里好几天 |
[1:10:42] | They bury them too close to the river. I understand. | 然后又埋在离河太近的地方 |
[1:10:43] | You don’t have to explain it twice. | 我明白你没必要重复解释 |
[1:10:48] | Colonel, I respectfully request… | 团长 我敬请你 |
[1:10:52] | …that you order your soldiers | 下令让士兵去他们家里 |
[1:10:53] | to enter these people’s homes… | 把尸体搬走 |
[1:10:55] | …and remove the bodies by force if necessary. | 实在不行就得强制做 |
[1:11:03] | It’s all right. | 没事 |
[1:11:31] | Hello. | 你好 |
[1:11:50] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[1:11:51] | The spirits need access to the water. I understand that. | 我明白你们对风水有要求 |
[1:11:54] | I just want to move a few of these so they don’t live in the water. | 我只想挪一下 让他们别泡在水里 |
[1:12:04] | He said they’re under the protection of their warlord. | 他说他们是受督军保护的 |
[1:12:07] | If he wants to move the bodies, he will send his own soldiers. | 如他想搬尸体 他会派他的士兵来 |
[1:12:20] | It isn’t the best time for a Western woman to explore | 现在不是一个西方女人 |
[1:12:22] | a Chinese town by herself. | 独自在中国小镇里乱逛的时候 |
[1:12:24] | Oh, do be quiet. | 哦 你别说了 |
[1:12:27] | As if you care whether I’m killed by nationalists or boredom. | 我被人杀死 还是无聊死 对你都一样 |
[1:12:31] | Besides, I wasn’t alone. | 再说我又不是一个人 |
[1:12:34] | I was with my gallant protector, Sung Ching. | 我有勇敢的士兵宋青陪着 |
[1:12:40] | By the way, | 另外 |
[1:12:41] | you might be happy to know… | 我对于修女和你一样没用处 |
[1:12:43] | …that I am just as useless to the nuns as I am to you. | 你知道这个也许会高兴 |
[1:12:49] | I shut off the town’s only water supply today. | 今天我关闭了镇上唯一的供水处 |
[1:12:56] | What will you do? | 接下来怎么办 |
[1:13:00] | I have no idea. | 我一点儿都不知道 |
[1:13:09] | Then I suppose we’re both useless. | 那么我们都是一无是处的人 |
[1:13:13] | At last, something in common. | 终于找到了共同点 |
[1:14:37] | Dr. Fane. We’ve both been caught out in the weather. | 费恩博士 我们刚刚被 |
[1:14:39] | Not now, sorry. | 对不起 我没空 |
[1:14:42] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 |
[1:14:43] | Counting. | 我在数数 |
[1:14:44] | Counting? | 数数? |
[1:15:04] | We’ll camp here tonight. | 今晚我们就在这儿扎营吧 |
[1:15:12] | What makes you think this warlord will cooperate? | 你凭什么觉得督军会跟我们合作 |
[1:15:15] | I don’t think he will. | 我觉得他不会 |
[1:15:17] | So, what do you plan to say to persuade him? | 那你想怎么说服他呢 |
[1:15:19] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[1:15:24] | These men are like animals. | 这些人跟禽兽一样 |
[1:15:28] | They have no vision. | 他们没有理想 |
[1:15:30] | They only have hunger and strength. | 只关心怎么满足自己的野心 |
[1:15:34] | Men like this have held the real power in China since I was young. | 这种人从我小时候就执掌着大权 |
[1:15:38] | But that time is coming to an end. | 但他们掌权的日子就快要结束了 |
[1:15:42] | There’s no place for them in the new China. | 新的中国不会容许他们存在 |
[1:15:47] | I don’t think you like my being here very much either, do you? | 你好像也不太喜欢我在这儿 对吧? |
[1:15:51] | I think China belongs to Chinese people… | 我认为中国是属于中国人的 |
[1:15:54] | …but the rest of the world seems to disagree. | 但其它国家似乎都不同意这一点 |
[1:15:57] | Yes, but that’s got nothing to do with me. | 是但那和我没任何关系 |
[1:16:01] | I didn’t come here with a gun, you know. | 我不是带着枪来这里的 |
[1:16:03] | I came with a microscope. | 我只带了一个显微镜 |
[1:16:05] | I believe you. | 我相信你 |
[1:16:10] | But it would be nice to do this work together… | 如果贵国的军队不对准我们的人民 |
[1:16:12] | …without your country’s guns pointing at our people. | 咱们之间的合作会好很多 |
[1:16:23] | Our plan is to divert the water to the town… | 我们计划把上游的水从田里改道 |
[1:16:25] | …from the fields upriver, above the burial grounds. | 远离坟场引到镇子里去 |
[1:16:28] | With your permission and the assistance of your troops… | 如果您能允许还要请您的士兵帮忙 |
[1:16:31] | …the graves will be moved away from the water… | 一起把坟场搬离水源 |
[1:16:33] | …and Colonel Yu and his men | 然后于团长的人马会指示村民 |
[1:16:35] | will enforce the prompt burial of the dead. | 妥善埋葬那些尸体 |
[1:16:38] | Maintaining the integrity of the water sources… | 只要保持水源干净 |
[1:16:40] | …and enforcing proper sanitation over the next weeks… | 严格执行 卫生 |
[1:16:43] | …will make a difference between a few more deaths and possibly thousands. | 情况就会改观 大大降低死亡人数 |
[1:17:16] | He said no. | 他说不行 |
[1:17:21] | He doesn’t speak any English, does he? | 他不会英文 对吧? |
[1:17:29] | Tell him that’s the most ridiculous suit that I’ve ever seen. | 告诉他我从没见过那么可笑的制服 |
[1:18:53] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:18:54] | Do not stop on my account | 别因为我停下来 |
[1:18:56] | if Dr. Fane is enjoying himself. | 如果费恩医生很喜欢的话 |
[1:19:00] | No. No, not at all. | 哦 不是 我只是 |
[1:19:02] | No, l… It’s very nice. I just… I was passing. | 这样挺好的 我只是路过 |
[1:19:05] | No. Stay. | 不 请留下来 |
[1:19:06] | I should go. | 我该走了 |
[1:19:07] | I insist. | 一定要留下来 |
[1:19:13] | All right, if you like. | 好吧 听您的 |
[1:19:15] | Continue, Mrs. Fane. | 继续吧 费恩太太 |
[1:19:17] | But perhaps something a little more soothing. | 能来点更轻柔的吗? |
[1:19:22] | Yes, of course. | 好的 当然 |
[1:20:43] | They brought in a new baby today. | 今天来了一个新孤儿 |
[1:20:47] | The girls named her Zan Xien. | 她们叫她崭新 |
[1:20:49] | It means “brand-new.” | 就是全新的意思 |
[1:20:52] | The nuns are going to call it Katherine, which, of course… | 修女们打算叫她凯瑟琳 |
[1:20:56] | …none of the girls will be able to say. | 当然没有一个女孩会发这个音 |
[1:21:01] | Thank goodness for those nuns. | 感谢这些修女 |
[1:21:03] | They do so much for so little in return. | 她们付出如此之多 得到却那么少 |
[1:21:06] | I suppose you could look at it that way. | 你也可以从那个角度去看 |
[1:21:09] | You suppose? | 那你怎么想 |
[1:21:12] | I think it might be a bit more complicated than that. | 可能比你想像的复杂得多 |
[1:21:15] | They take in desperate children and give them a chance at life. | 收留绝望的孩子 给他们新的希望 |
[1:21:19] | What could be so complicated about that? | 那又有什么复杂的? |
[1:21:22] | They also go to young mothers in their homes. | 她们也直接去找年轻的母亲 |
[1:21:25] | They ask them to give their babies to the convent. | 让她们把孩子交给修道院 |
[1:21:28] | They offer them money to support their families | 修女给她们一些钱养家糊口 |
[1:21:30] | to persuade them to do it. | 以鼓励她们来交换 |
[1:21:32] | They’re not just here to run an orphanage, your nuns. | 那些修女们不只是成立孤儿院 |
[1:21:36] | They’re turning those children into little Catholics. | 她们也把孩子变成小天主教徒 |
[1:21:40] | None of us are in China without a reason. | 我们每个人留在中国都是有理由的 |
[1:21:43] | Still, on the whole… | 不过 总的来说 |
[1:21:44] | …I think that what they’re doing | 我觉得她们做的 |
[1:21:45] | is a pretty good deed, don’t you? | 是非常好的事情 不是吗? |
[1:21:48] | I’m here to study bacteria. | 我只是在这儿研究细茵 |
[1:21:50] | I don’t feel a need to have an opinion about the rest. | 我觉得没必要去探讨其它事情 |
[1:21:52] | Well, I do, and I admire them. | 嗯 我是这样觉得的 我钦佩她们 |
[1:21:55] | I don’t think it has to be so complicated and gloomy. | 我觉得没那么复杂和阴暗 |
[1:22:04] | And I think what you’re doing, for instance, is incredibly noble. | 比如说 你现在所做的就非常伟大 |
[1:22:11] | You used to feel contempt for me. Don’t you still? | 你以前看不起我 现在不也是吗? |
[1:22:13] | Walter. I can’t believe that you, with all your cleverness… | 沃特 我真不敢相信 |
[1:22:16] | …should have such little sense of proportion. | 像你这么聪明的人竟然会如此糊涂 |
[1:22:19] | We humans are more complex than your silly little microbes. | 人类难道不比那些微生物复杂吗? |
[1:22:24] | We’re unpredictable. We make mistakes and we disappoint. | 我们会犯错 会让人失望 |
[1:22:29] | Yes, we certainly do. | 是的 的确是这样 |
[1:22:30] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:22:31] | I’m sorry I’m not the perfect young woman that you want me to be. | 对不起 我不是你期望的完美女人 |
[1:22:36] | I’m just ordinary. | 我是个普通女人 |
[1:22:38] | I never tried to pretend that I was anything else. | 我从没有装模作样 |
[1:22:49] | No, you certainly didn’t. | 没有 你的确没有 |
[1:22:54] | I like the theater, | 我喜欢看戏 |
[1:22:56] | and dancing… | 喜欢跳舞 |
[1:22:59] | …and playing tennis. I like games. I like men who play games. | 打网球 喜欢玩游戏的男人 |
[1:23:02] | God forgive me, that’s the way I was brought up. | 我没办法 我的家教就是这样的 |
[1:23:05] | I play a pretty fierce hand of bridge. | 哦 我打桥牌还是有一手的 |
[1:23:07] | Oh, well, that’s bloody exciting. | 那很了不起 |
[1:23:13] | And you, you dragged me around all those interminable galleries in Venice… | 可你拉着我 在威尼斯逛乏味的画廊 |
[1:23:18] | …blathering on about the miracle of the canals… | 还喋喋不休说着运河的奇迹 |
[1:23:20] | …and the flushing of the lagoon system, | 和它的排水系统 |
[1:23:23] | or some such nonsense. | 或者其它同样无聊的事情 |
[1:23:25] | Honestly, I’d have been much happier playing golf at Sandwich. | 其实我宁愿去桑威治打高尔夫球 |
[1:23:35] | I suppose you’re right. | 我想你是对的 |
[1:23:39] | It was silly of us to look for qualities in each other that we never had. | 我们寻找对方缺少的品质太傻了 |
[1:23:44] | Yes. | 对呀 |
[1:23:47] | Yes, it was. | 对呀 是很傻 |
[1:23:53] | Walter? | 沃特 |
[1:23:58] | Why didn’t you break down that door when you knew | 你知道我跟查理在屋子里 |
[1:23:59] | I was in there with Charlie? | 你为什么不冲进来 |
[1:24:04] | You might have at least tried to thrash him. | 这样至少可以好好教训他一下 |
[1:24:08] | He wasn’t worth it. | 他不值得 |
[1:24:14] | Or maybe I’m just too proud to fight. | 也可能我不屑跟人家打架 |
[1:24:18] | I don’t know about that. | 我觉得不是这样的 |
[1:24:47] | I’ve told Mother Superior to keep her sisters inside the convent. | 我告诉院长 让修女别离开修道院 |
[1:24:51] | I put a guard outside the gate. | 我在门外派了士兵 |
[1:24:54] | I’d advise any Westerners to stay indoors. | 我建议所有外国人都别出门 |
[1:24:57] | All right. | 好的 |
[1:25:06] | Sister, has Mrs. Fane been at the convent today? | 修女 费恩太太今天来修道院了吗 |
[1:25:09] | Oui, doctor. But she has left a few minutes ago. | 是的 医生 但她几分钟前就走了 |
[1:25:40] | Sung Ching. | 宋青 |
[1:25:43] | Let’s go. | 咱们走 |
[1:25:44] | Let’s go! | 快走 |
[1:25:47] | Let’s go! | 快走 |
[1:25:53] | Stop it! | 住手 |
[1:26:19] | Sung Ching! Where’s Mrs. Fane? Where’s Mrs. Fane? | 宋青 费恩太太呢?她在哪里? |
[1:26:39] | I don’t know what you’re saying! | 我听不懂你说什么 |
[1:26:41] | Get away from her. | 别靠近她 |
[1:26:43] | Are you all right? Yes. | 你没事吧 |
[1:27:01] | Come on. | 我们走吧 |
[1:27:28] | We’re out of whiskey. | 我们没有威士忌了 |
[1:28:03] | Dr. Fane. | 费恩博士 |
[1:28:05] | Could I trouble you for a drink? | 麻烦你跟我喝点酒 好吗? |
[1:28:35] | Hello, darling. | 你好 亲爱的 |
[1:28:54] | I was stationed at Hankow during the revolution… | 大革命期间我被派到汉口 |
[1:28:58] | …when they were massacring all the Manchus. | 情况非常混乱的时候 |
[1:29:01] | I was able to help a particular family. | 我帮了一家人 |
[1:29:04] | New documents, that sort of thing. | 帮他们拿到了通行证 |
[1:29:07] | She was the youngest of the daughters. | 她是她们家里最小的女儿 |
[1:29:11] | I didn’t pay her too much attention at first. | 刚开始我没怎么注意她 |
[1:29:15] | Well, more than I should have, I suppose. | 不过可能我真的是在意她 |
[1:29:19] | When I left Hankow, she followed me. | 我离开汉口时她就跟着我出来了 |
[1:29:24] | I sent her back two, three times, | 我几次送她回去 |
[1:29:29] | but she kept coming back. | 但她每次都找回来 |
[1:29:36] | I didn’t realize you had so much affection for her. | 没想到你对她的感情这么深 |
[1:29:40] | What makes you think I do? | 为什么你会这么觉得? |
[1:29:44] | I can see it in your eyes. | 我从你的眼神里看出来 |
[1:29:50] | Men are incalculable. | 男人是变化莫测的 |
[1:29:54] | I thought you were just like everybody else… | 我觉得你和其他人一样 |
[1:29:56] | …and now I feel I don’t know the first thing about you. | 但现在我觉得一点儿都不了解你 |
[1:30:04] | I wonder what she sees in you. | 我想知道她喜欢你什么 |
[1:30:08] | Wan Xi. | 婉丝 |
[1:30:19] | She says I’m a good man. | 她说我是一个好人 |
[1:30:31] | As if a woman ever loved a man for his virtue. | 女人不会因为男人品德高尚就爱他 |
[1:34:19] | Morning. | 早 |
[1:34:30] | Morning. | 你早 |
[1:34:35] | I should think it best to stay away from town today. | 今天最好不要去镇上 |
[1:34:39] | All right. | 好的 |
[1:35:02] | I’m going for a walk. | 我要去走一走 |
[1:35:09] | Come on, then. | 来吧 |
[1:35:55] | What on earth are you doing all the way out here? | 你到这里来干什么 |
[1:35:57] | Walking off a crippling hangover. | 散散步 醒醒昨夜的酒 |
[1:36:00] | What are you doing? | 你呢? |
[1:36:02] | Well, I’ve been attempting to purchase a stalk of bamboo… | 我很想跟这位先生做一笔竹子买卖 |
[1:36:04] | …off this fine gentleman here,but his price is exorbitant. | 但价格很贵 |
[1:36:08] | My head is too shattered to negotiate. | 而我的脑筋实在转不动 |
[1:36:18] | So | 所以 |
[1:36:20] | would you like a ride home? On what? | 要我载你回家吗? 怎么载? |
[1:36:22] | The buffalo? | 骑在水牛背上吗 |
[1:37:13] | You see, we’re diverting it from these fields temporarily… | 你看我们把上游田里的水 |
[1:37:16] | …sending it into the center of town, | 直接引到镇中心去了 |
[1:37:17] | where they can get at it easily. | 这样取水就方便多了 |
[1:37:20] | It’s over a half-mile. | 半英里长 有些地方实在很麻烦 |
[1:37:40] | It gave us a devil of a time in some places. | 但真是值得的 |
[1:38:57] | Oh, Mother. | 哦 院长 |
[1:39:01] | Am I going to die? | 我是不是快要死了? |
[1:39:02] | Come, come. You mustn’t be so silly. | 镇静 镇静点 别这么傻 |
[1:39:06] | Listen, ma chère. | 听着 亲爱的 |
[1:39:08] | Is it possible you are with child? | 你有可能怀孕了吗? |
[1:39:15] | No. Oh, yes. | 不可能 是的 |
[1:39:16] | No. Yes. | 不 是的 |
[1:39:19] | I mean… | 我想 |
[1:39:21] | I.. | 我 |
[1:39:25] | I suppose it’s possible. | 我想 也有可能 |
[1:39:26] | There is no doubt about it. | 肯定是这样的 |
[1:39:28] | Yes. Sister St. Joseph knew at once. | 圣约瑟夫修女一看就知道 |
[1:39:31] | She comes from a large family, | 她是从大家族里出来的 |
[1:39:33] | so she has experience in these matters. | 对这种事情很有经验 |
[1:39:36] | I can’t believe it. | 我没办法相信 |
[1:39:37] | Why can’t you believe it? | 为什么不信呢? |
[1:39:39] | Having a child is so natural. | 怀孕是很自然的事情 |
[1:39:44] | Yes. | 很好 |
[1:39:45] | Think how happy your husband will be. | 想想你先生会有多高兴啊 |
[1:40:08] | And what’s happened here? | 发生了什么事? |
[1:40:10] | I’m all right. They said you fainted. | 我没事 他们说你晕倒了 |
[1:40:12] | I’m fine. Let me look at you. | 没事 |
[1:40:13] | It’s not cholera. | 让我看看 不是霍乱 |
[1:40:15] | No. I don’t think so. | 对 不是 |
[1:40:18] | Did you feel nauseous? Or just faint? | 你想呕吐或只是发晕 |
[1:40:21] | Walter, stop. | 沃特 别问了 |
[1:40:26] | I’m pregnant. | 我怀孕了 |
[1:40:28] | A baby? | 孩子 |
[1:40:34] | You’re quite certain? | 你肯定 |
[1:40:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:40:40] | Well, that’s wonderful. | 噢 那太好了 |
[1:40:48] | How long do you think you’ve been like this? | 你这样多长时间了 |
[1:40:53] | Two months. | 两个月 |
[1:40:55] | Maybe longer. | 也许更长 |
[1:41:15] | Kitty. | 也许更长 |
[1:41:20] | Am I the father? | 我是孩子的父亲吗 |
[1:41:26] | I honestly don’t know. | 我真的不知道 |
[1:41:31] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:41:39] | Well… | 这 |
[1:41:46] | …it doesn’t matter now… | 现在不重要了 |
[1:41:49] | …does it? | 不是吗? |
[1:41:51] | No. | 是的 |
[1:41:55] | No, it doesn’t. | 不重要了 |
[1:42:59] | Dr. Fane? | 费恩医生 |
[1:43:02] | Come with me. | 跟我来 |
[1:43:18] | What is this? Where are they coming from? | 这是什么他们从哪儿来的 |
[1:43:20] | The cholera spread south along the river. | 霍乱沿着河蔓延到南边 |
[1:43:23] | They have no doctors or facilities there. | 那里没任何医生或医疗设施 |
[1:43:25] | They’ll contaminate everything. | 如果他们来镇子又会感染霍乱 |
[1:43:27] | We’ve got to keep them outside town. | 我们必须把他们挡在城外 |
[1:43:29] | Dr. Fane. | 费恩医生 |
[1:43:43] | Dr. Fane! | 费恩医生 |
[1:43:57] | Stop. Stop. | 停下停下 |
[1:43:59] | Stop. | 停下来 |
[1:44:03] | Stop here. We can help you here. | 请停下来 我们可以在这儿帮你们 |
[1:44:05] | Colonel, tell them not to go into town! | 团长 请告诉他们不要进城 |
[1:44:07] | We’ll help here! | 告诉他们我们会在这里救治他们 |
[1:44:35] | Mrs. Fane. Gather all the children in the music room. | 费恩太太 把孩子们带进音乐教室 |
[1:44:41] | Wait here. | 在这儿等等 |
[1:44:43] | Let’s go. | 快走 |
[1:45:23] | That boy, | 那男孩把他带过来 |
[1:46:49] | bring him here. Bring him in. | 他在流血 我给他处理一下 |
[1:47:38] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[1:47:40] | Why didn’t he wake me? | 他为什么不叫醒我 |
[1:47:42] | He made an early start, and you needed the rest. | 他一太早就走了 而你需要多休息 |
[1:47:48] | How far is the refugee camp? | 难民营有多远? |
[1:47:50] | Just outside the town, in the foothills. | 就在城外的山脚下 |
[1:47:57] | Dr. Fane told me he wanted you to leave, but you would not. | 你先生说 他叫你离开 但你不肯走 |
[1:48:01] | I didn’t want to leave you. | 我不想离开你们 |
[1:48:04] | Yes, and we appreciate it, dear child. | 我们很感谢你这样做 不过 |
[1:48:07] | But I think you did not want to leave him either. | 我想你也不愿意离开他 |
[1:48:10] | Well, it’s my duty. | 嗯 那是我的职责 |
[1:48:13] | Duty is only washing your hands when they are dirty. | 职责不过是手脏了要洗干净 |
[1:48:21] | I fell in love when I was 17, | 我十七岁时就恋爱了 |
[1:48:23] | with God. | 爱上了上帝 |
[1:48:26] | A foolish girl with romantic notions | 一个傻姑娘 |
[1:48:29] | about the life of a religious. | 对宗教生涯有着浪漫的幻想 |
[1:48:33] | But my love was passionate. | 但我的爱是那么热烈 |
[1:48:37] | Over the years my feelings have changed. | 随着时间流逝我的情感改变了 |
[1:48:41] | He’s disappointed me. Ignored me. | 他让我失望 他忽视我 |
[1:48:45] | We’ve settled into a relationship of peaceful indifference. | 我们之间已经变得漠不关心 |
[1:48:51] | The old husband and wife who sit side by side on the sofa, | 像老夫妇总并肩坐在沙发上 |
[1:48:55] | but rarely speak. | 但很少跟对方说话 |
[1:48:58] | He knows I will never leave him. | 他知道我永远不会离开他 |
[1:49:00] | This is my duty. | 这是我的职责 |
[1:49:03] | But when love and duty are one, | 但当爱和责任合二为一 |
[1:49:07] | then grace is within you. | 恩典便与你同在 |
[1:49:14] | Your soldier is waiting to take you back. | 保护你的士兵等着带你回去 |
[1:49:19] | I’d rather stay. | 我想留下来 |
[1:49:20] | No. | 不行 |
[1:49:38] | What? What is it? | 怎么啦 什么事? |
[1:49:41] | What? | 怎么啦 |
[1:49:42] | Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[1:49:44] | Mr. Waddington? | 维廷顿先生 |
[1:49:47] | It’s your husband. | 您的先生 |
[1:49:48] | What? What is it? | 他怎么啦? |
[1:49:50] | He’s been taken ill. | 他病倒了 |
[1:50:12] | Where is he? | 他在哪儿? |
[1:50:17] | Mrs. Fane. | 费恩太太 |
[1:50:26] | Walter. Oh, no. | 沃特 |
[1:50:27] | She can’t be here. | 哦 不 她不能在这儿 |
[1:50:28] | It’s not safe.Waddington. | 这里不安全 维廷顿 |
[1:50:30] | I’m afraid I’ve got no say in the matter. | 恐怕我说什么也不管用 |
[1:50:45] | I don’t want an audience. | 我不想让别人看见我这样 |
[1:50:47] | You have to go. | 请你先出去一下 |
[1:50:49] | Your baby. | 您的孩子 |
[1:50:51] | Please, you must go. | 请离开吧 |
[1:50:59] | Walter, tell me what I should do. | 沃特 告诉我该怎么办 |
[1:51:02] | Slow that drip down. It’s running too fast. | 把点滴调慢一点 输得太快了 |
[1:51:05] | Good, good. | 好 好了 |
[1:51:06] | Kitty? Kitty. | 吉蒂 吉蒂 |
[1:51:12] | It’s going to get much worse before it breaks. | 好转之前会变得严重得多 |
[1:51:17] | Are you prepared for this? | 你能受得了吗? |
[1:51:20] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:52:11] | What is it? | 怎么啦? |
[1:52:17] | Can you send for more? | 不能多要一点吗? |
[1:53:02] | Kitty. | 吉蒂 |
[1:53:07] | Kitty. | 吉蒂 |
[1:53:11] | Are you awake? | 啊 你醒啦 |
[1:53:17] | Are you feeling better? | 你感觉好点了吗 |
[1:53:42] | Forgive me. | 请原谅我 |
[1:53:47] | Forgive you? | 原谅你? |
[1:53:55] | There’s nothing to forgive. | 没什么需要原谅的 |
[1:54:19] | Walter… | 沃特 |
[1:54:23] | …l’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:54:55] | I’m so sorry. | 我非常抱歉 |
[1:54:58] | Mrs. Fane? | 费恩太太 |
[1:55:03] | Dr. Fane would want to be buried immediately. | 费恩医生肯定希望尽快入土 |
[1:55:10] | Yes, of course. | 是的 当然 |
[1:56:26] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[1:58:12] | It’s silly, really. | 看来是有一点儿傻 |
[1:58:15] | They’ll die in a week. | 它们不到一周就会枯萎 |
[1:58:17] | It’s hardly worth the cost. | 不值得 |
[1:58:20] | What do you think? | 你觉得呢? |
[1:58:21] | I think they’re quite nice. | 我觉得它们很好看 |
[1:58:24] | Really? | 真的 |
[1:58:26] | I think you’re right. | 我想你说对了 |
[1:58:30] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[1:58:34] | We better hurry. Grandfather’s waiting. | 咱们赶紧走外公在等着呢 |
[1:58:40] | Kitty Fane? | 吉蒂·费恩 |
[1:58:45] | As I live and breathe. | 我的天啊 |
[1:58:47] | Hello, Charlie. | 您好 查理 |
[1:58:49] | What are you doing in London? | 您怎么在伦敦? |
[1:58:54] | I know it’s been a long time. | 时间过了这么久了 |
[1:58:57] | I should have written. | 本来应该给您写信的 |
[1:59:02] | Who’s this fine chap? Hello, young man. | 这个帅小伙是谁呀?你好 小伙子 |
[1:59:04] | What’s your name? | 你叫什么? |
[1:59:05] | Walter. | 沃特 |
[1:59:07] | Hello, Walter. I’m Charlie Townsend. | 你好 沃特 我叫查理·唐森 |
[1:59:12] | How old are you? | 你几岁啦? |
[1:59:13] | Five. | 五岁 |
[1:59:14] | Five.Come on, darling.We should really press on. | 走吧 亲爱的 我们得走了 |
[1:59:18] | Yes, of course. Well, it’s… | 好吧 当然 |
[1:59:20] | …lovely seeing you again. | 能再次见到您很高兴 |
[1:59:24] | And you. | 我也是 |
[1:59:26] | Goodbye, Walter. | 再见 沃特 |
[1:59:27] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[1:59:33] | Kitty. | 吉蒂 |
[1:59:35] | I’m in London for three weeks. Perhaps we could… | 这三周我都在伦敦 也许我们 |
[1:59:38] | Goodbye, Mr. Townsend. | 再见 唐森先生 |
[1:59:41] | Goodbye, Mrs. Fane. | 再见 费恩太太 |
[1:59:46] | Who was that, Mommy? | 妈咪 他是谁? |
[1:59:49] | No one important, darling. | 谁也不是 亲爱的 |