英文名称:Another Woman
年代:1988
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:20] | If someone had asked me, when I reached my fifties, to assess my life, | 当我50岁时 如果有人让我评价自己的一生 |
[00:24] | I’d have said I’d reached a decent level of fulfilment, personally and professionally. | 我会说 无论从生活还是事业角度讲 我都挺有成就感 |
[00:30] | Beyond that, I would say “I don’t choose to delve.” | 此外 我还想说 “我不想再钻研” |
[00:32] | Not that I was afraid of uncovering some dark side of my character. | 不是说我怕暴露自己性格中的阴暗面 |
[00:37] | But I always feel, if something seems to be working, leave it alone. | 只是 如果真有那等事儿 我总想置之不理 |
[00:41] | My name is Marion Post. | 我叫马里恩·波斯特 |
[00:44] | I’m Director of Undergraduate Studies in Philosophy at a women’s college, | 我是女子学院哲学系的主任 |
[00:48] | although right now I’m on leave of absence to begin writing a book. | 目前正在休假着手写一本书 |
[00:53] | My husband is a very accomplished physician, a cardiologist, | 我丈夫是一位有名的内科医师 心脏病专家 |
[00:56] | who some years ago examined my heart, liked what he saw and proposed. | 他几年前给我查心脏 我们由此认识 他喜欢上了我 并向我求婚 |
[01:01] | It’s the second marriage for us both, and he brought to it a 16-year-old daughter | 这对我们都是第二次婚姻 他有一个16岁的女儿 |
[01:05] | who lives with his former wife but visits us frequently. | 跟她妈妈生活但常常到我们这边玩 |
[01:09] | She’s a sweet girl who can be a little undisciplined at times, | 她是一个可爱的女孩 有时有点儿任性 |
[01:12] | and I’ve tried to take her under my wing as best I can. | 我尽可能象对待亲生女儿那样保护她 |
[01:16] | I also have a married brother. | 我还有一个已婚的弟弟 |
[01:18] | My mother died recently, but my dad’s still alive and healthy. | 我母亲不久前去世 父亲仍然健在 |
[01:24] | Not much else to say, except normally I write at home | 我通常在家里写作 此外没有什么可说的了 |
[01:27] | but construction noise next door has become so terrible, | 只是隔壁的建筑噪音太大 |
[01:30] | I subleased a one-room flat downtown as an office. | 我便在市区租了一间公寓房当作写作室 |
[01:34] | A new book is always a very demanding project | 写一本新书常常是一件挺折磨人的活儿 |
[01:38] | and it requires that I really shut myself off | 需要作者抛开工作以外的所有事儿 |
[01:41] | from everything but the work. | 全心投入写作 |
[02:47] | As I settled down to work that first morning, a strange thing occurred. | 我去那儿的第一天早上 刚要开始写作时 一件奇怪的事情发生了 |
[02:55] | Something about him just got to a deeper thing in me. | 有关他的一些事情总缠着我 摆脱不了 |
[03:01] | So this was my… my big experience with another man. My first one. | 这是我跟…另一个男人发生关系的第一次经历 是我的第一次 |
[03:07] | And I’ve never been able to get it out of my mind. I still have fantasies about it, | 我总也摆脱不掉 不时会有些幻想 |
[03:13] | which are sort of bugging me. | 这挺让我心烦 |
[03:17] | What do you mean, “fantasies”? | (精神病专家) 你说的“幻想”是什么意思? |
[03:20] | Well, sometimes when I’m masturbating, or when I’m just… | 恩 有时我在手淫或者做其它…的时候 |
[03:26] | Well, sometimes when I’m… when I’m working, | 恩 有时我在…在工作的时候 |
[03:31] | I find myself thinking about Giles. | 我发现自己总想着圣伊莱斯 |
[03:35] | And, uh, it’s not that I’m not attracted to my wife any more. | 我并不是说…我对我老婆没兴趣了 |
[03:39] | I mean, I still am. I really am physically moved by her, and other women, but… | 我是说 她依然吸引着我 从生理方面讲 我对她和其它女人仍然有兴趣 |
[03:44] | While eavesdropping on the intimate revelations of a psychiatrist’s office | 偷听精神病专家办公室里病人的心里秘密 |
[03:49] | might be fascinating to some people, it was not exactly what I had in mind | 可能对一些人挺有吸引力 可我当初租房时 |
[03:53] | when I rented the place. | 考虑的可不是这等事儿 |
[03:55] | Well, um… | 恩… |
[03:59] | I don’t really have to use him like a piece of pornography… | 我真的不需要把他当作色情对象 |
[04:11] | I worked hard all day, and the work came very slowly. | 我从早到晚都很辛苦地工作着 可工作进展还是挺慢 |
[04:14] | Beginning a book is always the most difficult part for me, | 写好书的开头对我来说 常常是最困难的部分 |
[04:18] | and by late afternoon I’d become tired. | 那天到了下午晚些时候 我就觉得累了 |
[04:21] | I lay my head down and closed my eyes, and I guess I dozed off. | 我趴在桌子上 闭上眼睛 我想我可能打了个盹儿 |
[04:26] | I don’t know exactly how long I was asleep, | 我也不知道自己究竟睡了多久 |
[04:29] | but one of the pillows must have slipped down off the vent, | 可能是挡在通风口的一个枕头滑落了 |
[04:32] | because I gradually became aware again of a voice. | 因为我渐渐又听到了说话声 |
[04:36] | It was a woman’s voice, and it was such an anguished, heart-wrenching sound | 是一个女人的声音 相当的痛苦 有种撕心裂肺的感觉 |
[04:41] | that I was totally arrested by its sadness. | 以至我的心都被那种悲伤揪住了 |
[04:45] | I just know that I woke up during the middle of the night. | 我只知道自己会在半夜醒来 |
[04:52] | And time passed, and there were strange shadows. | 时间久了 就有一些阴影 |
[04:58] | I began having troubling thoughts about my life. | 我便开始对自己的生活产生了困惑 |
[05:02] | Like there was something about it not real. | 就好象生活中有些东西不真实了 |
[05:07] | Full of deceptions. | 充满了欺骗 |
[05:10] | That these… these deceptions | 而这些欺骗… |
[05:13] | had become so… so many, | 变得越来越多 越来越多… |
[05:16] | and so much a part of me now, | 而且那么多都跟我有关 |
[05:19] | that I couldn’t even tell who I really was. | 以至于我都不知道自己到底是谁了 |
[05:24] | And suddenly I began to perspire. | 然后我突然开始淌汗 |
[05:28] | I sat up in bed with my heart just pounding. | 我坐在床上 心抨抨地跳 |
[05:32] | And I looked at my husband next to me, | 我看看旁边睡着的丈夫 |
[05:36] | and it was as if he… he was a stranger. | 他对我来说…竟然好象陌生人一样 |
[05:41] | And I turned on the light and I woke him up, | 我打开灯 把他叫醒 |
[05:44] | and I asked him to hold me. | 让他抱紧我… |
[05:50] | And only after a long time did I finally get my bearings. | 很长时间过去了我才找到了自己的方向 |
[05:55] | But for one moment, earlier, | 可之前有一个时刻 |
[05:58] | it was as if a curtain had parted, | 就象是窗帘打开了 |
[06:01] | and I could see myself clearly. | 我能清晰地看到自己 |
[06:05] | But I was afraid of what I saw. | 而且我很害怕自己看到的 |
[06:10] | And what I had to look forward to. | 我需要渴望什么… |
[06:14] | And I wondered… | 我困惑着… |
[06:17] | I wondered about ending everything. | 我不知道 我是否该结束生命 结束一切… |
[07:01] | Please, please. | 别这样 别这样 |
[07:03] | It is with a mixture of some joy, but mostly paralysing anxiety, | 那种感觉有一些喜悦 但大部分还是一种近似麻木的忧虑 |
[07:10] | that I hereby plunge into the big five-o. | 然后我就去参加大聚会了 |
[07:18] | I was, uh, I was fine till last week. | 我一直都…还可以 直到上个星期 |
[07:22] | Then my son said to me, “Gee, Dad, don’t your options begin running out?” | 然后我儿子对我说 天呢 爸爸 你已经开始没有别的选择了吗? |
[07:28] | He’s very funny, my son. | 我儿子挺好玩 |
[07:34] | Marion, I was telling Lydia about your little adventure today. | 马里恩 我刚刚了告诉莉迪亚 你今天经历的那个小插曲 |
[07:38] | – Oh, yes. – Those new buildings are built so thin. | – 恩 对呀 – 那些新房子的墙都建得太薄了 |
[07:41] | – No, this is an old brownstone. – Well, there’s no privacy left. | – 不是 那是老式的褐色砂石建筑 – 怎么说呢 都没有隐私了 |
[07:44] | Last week Lydia and I were at home. It was a Sunday morning… | 上周我和莉迪亚在家 那是周日的早晨… |
[07:48] | – Mark… – This is true. And we started kissing… | – 马克… – 是事实嘛 我们开始接吻… |
[07:51] | – Mark! – And next thing we were on the floor… | – 马克! – 然后就到了地板上… |
[07:54] | – Are you crazy? He’s drunk. – I was having her on the kitchen floor. | – 你疯了吗?他喝多了 – 我在厨房地板上同她做爱 |
[07:58] | The living room floor, the living room floor. | 客厅地板上 客厅地板上 |
[08:01] | – I gotta admit, it was a surprise. – Did it not happen that way? | – 我得承认 这挺让人惊奇的 – 以前没有那样过吗? |
[08:04] | So the door opens, and the superintendent… he has the key… | 然后门开了 房管…他有房门钥匙的 |
[08:09] | – Oh, no. – Barges in. Some kind of plumbing leak. | 噢 不 闯进来了 就有点儿象管道漏了 |
[08:13] | And we are in flagrante delicto. | 我们都一丝不挂 |
[08:15] | You know what he does? He gets up, stark naked, and says “Mr Banducci, | 你猜他怎么办的?他站起来 全身赤条 说 班都其先生 |
[08:19] | this is not the pipe that needs fixing.” | 这不是我们需要修理的管道 |
[08:22] | That was quick, Ken. Could you have come up with anything that quick? | – 我反应快吧! – 肯 换你的话 能有那么快的反应吗? |
[08:26] | – No. – That was grace under pressure. | – 不能 – 那就是面不改色心不跳啊 |
[08:29] | – Did he laugh? – Oh, no. | – 你那样说 他笑了吗? – 哦 没有 |
[08:31] | He turned very red and he crossed himself. | 他顿时脸涨红了 然后赶紧祷告 |
[08:36] | Sad. | 可怜 |
[08:41] | One good thing about becoming 50. You don’t have to do it again. | 人到50岁的一件好事是 不用再这样做了 |
[08:52] | I know. | 我知道 |
[08:53] | It’s Laura. She had another fight with her mother, wants to sleep at our place. | 是劳拉 跟她妈又吵架了 想在我们这边过夜 |
[08:57] | It’s not fair to Kathy. | 可这样对凯西不公平啊 |
[09:01] | Well, you tell her, cos once again I can’t get through to my daughter. | 噢 你再来跟她说吧 我跟我女儿可讲不通 |
[09:05] | I know. Just… hold on a minute. | 我知道…先等一下啊! |
[09:07] | Will you talk to Marion? OK. | 跟马里恩说几句好吗?好的 |
[09:12] | Laura? This is not a good habit to get into. | 劳拉?总跟妈妈吵架可不是一个好习惯 |
[09:15] | You know your mother’s high-strung. She’s just gonna get frantic. | 你知道你妈妈压力挺大 她只是有点过头了 |
[09:19] | Well, it may not seem fair to you, but it’s up to you to deal with her moods. | 哦 可能对你有点不公平 可你得学着去应对她的情绪 |
[09:26] | Well, if she can’t, then you just have to rise above it. | 哦 如果她办不到 你就得大度些 让着她点儿 |
[09:30] | OK? I’ll see you at my father’s tomorrow. | 好吧?明天一起去我爸爸家 |
[09:33] | We’ll talk about it then. OK. | 那时我们再细说 好吧 |
[09:36] | Bye-bye. | 再见 |
[09:38] | She listens to you cos she looks up to you. Me, there’s no communication. | 她听你的 因为她仰慕你 跟我 没有交流 |
[09:41] | It’s just… It’s a terrible situation. | 只是…情况有些糟 (钢琴弹奏“毕尔巴鄂之歌”) |
[09:50] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[09:53] | Take you back? | 这音乐把你带回过去了吧? |
[09:56] | God, yeah. | 啊 是啊 |
[10:09] | Would you ever think of making love to me on the living room floor? | 你有没有想过在客厅地板上同我做爱? |
[10:16] | Would you want me to? | 你想让我那样吗? |
[10:19] | I don’t know. Would you want to? | 我不知道 你想吗? |
[10:23] | I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[10:27] | Actually, I don’t think I see you as the hardwood floor type. | 事实上 我觉得你不是那种硬地板类型的 |
[10:31] | No? | 不是? |
[10:37] | Hey, Ken, what are you doing in there? Have you eaten? | 嗨 肯!你在那边干嘛?吃东西了吗? |
[10:40] | Hello, Lydia. Look, you know my wife pretty good. | 嗨 莉迪亚 你挺了解我老婆是吧? |
[10:43] | Would you say that she was the type to enjoy sex on the living room floor? | 你觉得她是那种想在客厅地板享受性爱的类型吗? |
[10:47] | – Ken! – Oh, my God. You know, you guys… | – 肯! – 哦 天啊!你们这些男人啊… |
[10:50] | – I’m only teasing. – That was really embarrassing before. | – 我开玩笑的 – 以前真是挺让人难堪的 |
[10:54] | But not unpleasant if you don’t get splinters. | 可并非不愉快 如果你没有为此崩溃的话 |
[11:01] | Next morning I’d agreed to meet my sister-in-law who wanted to see me. | 第二天早上我跟我的弟媳有约 她想见我 |
[11:06] | I waited as long as I could, but when she didn’t show up I decided to leave. | 我等了好长时间 可她还是没出现 我就打算离开 |
[11:10] | – Marion. I’m sorry. – Oh, hi. | – 马里恩 对不起 – 噢 嗨 |
[11:12] | – I got stuck in traffic. – Oh. The thing is, I’m really late now. | – 我堵车了所以晚了 – 噢 可我现在得走了 有其它事儿 |
[11:16] | – Sorry. I just need a few minutes. – Well, I’m so behind schedule. | – 对不起 给我几分钟就好 – 哦 可现在真的已经过了我的时间表了 |
[11:20] | You said eight, and I waited, but I’ve gotta get going. | 你说8点 我就等啊等啊 可我还有其它事儿啊 |
[11:23] | – Stupid bus wouldn’t move. – Maybe some other time. | – 可恶的公车就是走不动 – 我们再约时间吧 |
[11:26] | I’ve gotta be disciplined when I’m writing, Lynn, or I’m not gonna get it done in time. | 我写作期间得严格遵守时间表 林恩 否则就不能按时交稿 |
[11:32] | I need to borrow some money. You know, Paul and I are getting a divorce. | 我想借些钱 你知道 保罗和我目前正处在离婚阶段 |
[11:37] | I heard. I’m sorry. | 听说过 很遗憾 |
[11:39] | – Are you? – Why do you say it like that? | – 你真觉得遗憾? – 你怎么这样说话? |
[11:44] | Because… I know you never really approved of me. | 因为…我知道你从未真正认可过我 |
[11:47] | Why, I hardly know you. | 怎么这样说 我都不怎么了解你 |
[11:50] | It’s not from my lack of trying. | 不是我没试着去了解你 |
[11:53] | Oh, look, I know this must all be very upsetting to you. But, you know… | 噢 听我说 这可能会让你伤心 可是 你知道… |
[11:57] | I’m sorry. | 很遗憾 |
[11:59] | If you needed money, how come Paul didn’t ask me? | 你们要是真需要钱 怎么保罗不跟我说呢? |
[12:03] | Well… he wouldn’t. | 哦…他不会说的 |
[12:06] | Well, why not? He has before. | 噢 为什么?他以前也跟我要过钱啊 |
[12:08] | Marion, | 马里恩 |
[12:10] | don’t you know how he feels about you? | 你不知道他怎么看待你吗? |
[12:13] | Sure. We’ve always been very close. | 当然知道 我们关系一向很亲密 |
[12:17] | You’re deluding yourself. | 你那是在欺骗自己 |
[12:20] | Of course, in a way he idolises you, but… | 当然 从某种意义上说 他挺崇拜你 可是 |
[12:24] | he also hates you. | 他也同样恨你 |
[12:30] | I’m sorry, I don’t accept that. | 对不起 这点我不同意 |
[12:33] | You’re such a perceptive woman. How can you not understand his feelings? | 你是一个很聪明的人 怎么就不能理解他的感受呢? |
[12:37] | Look, um, I’m late, and… | 听我说…恩…我已经晚了 |
[12:40] | and, uh… | 恩… |
[12:42] | to tell you the truth, I make it a practice of never getting into these conversations. | 说实话 我已经告诉自己 不再进行此类性质的谈话了 |
[12:47] | They’re fruitless, and people say things that they’re sorry for later. | 这根本是没有意义的 人们总是过后去说一些于事无补的话 |
[12:51] | Why don’t you just tell me how much you need and I’ll discuss it with Ken. OK? | 你干脆直接告诉我你们需要多少钱 我回去跟肯商量一下 行吧? |
[13:01] | The encounter with my sister-in-law had left me angry, | 同我弟媳的会面让我挺生气 |
[13:04] | but I refused to let it interfere with my work. | 可我不容许它打乱我的工作 |
[13:07] | I had a reasonably productive day, but as late afternoon approached | 那天我的工作进程还好 可傍晚来临时 |
[13:11] | I began to feel anxious somehow. | 我莫名其妙地开始觉得忧虑 |
[13:19] | I really can’t believe I’m saying this. | 真不敢相信我在说这样的话 |
[13:24] | Lately I’ve had odd feelings about my marriage. | 最近我对自己的婚姻总有一些奇怪的想法 |
[13:30] | It’s as if it’s been… coming apart. | 似乎它…开始破碎了 |
[13:34] | And I’ve just been, in so many ways, denying it. | 而我想方设法去否认 |
[13:40] | I must admit, | 我得承认 |
[13:42] | I have moments when I question whether I made the right choice. | 有时我会怀疑自己的选择是否是对的 |
[13:48] | I’ve told you there was someone else once. | 我跟你说过 之前还有一个人 |
[13:51] | The last time I saw him was several years ago, | 我最后一次见他是几年之前 |
[13:55] | before I was married, at a party. | 我结婚前夕的一次聚会上 (“罗曼史”) |
[14:10] | Stop it. Just stop it. This is just crazy. I’m marrying Ken, that’s all there is to it. | 别这样 别这样 这太疯狂了 我就要嫁给肯了 所以才有这个聚会 |
[14:16] | – How can you marry Ken? You love me. – I… what? You’re so conceited. | – 你怎么能嫁给肯呢?你爱的是我 – 我…什么?你太自大了 |
[14:20] | What makes you think that I love you? | 你怎么会觉得我爱的是你? |
[14:22] | I know. There are some things one knows just so surely as… | 我理解 有些事情… 人们只是太肯定了 以致于… |
[14:28] | Well, I-I… I’m… I… You’re wrong, and I’m sorry if I’ve misled you. | 噢 我…我…你说错了 如果我让你误会了什么 我很抱歉 |
[14:32] | – It’s you you’re misleading. – I’m surprised at you. | – 你是在误导我 – 我真不理解你 |
[14:36] | I mean, Ken is your close friend. | 我是说 肯是你的好朋友 |
[14:39] | I love everything about you, and I want you to come and live with me… | 我非常爱你 爱你的一切 想让你跟我一起生活 |
[14:44] | Stop it! Stop it. Right now. | 别这样!住手! |
[14:47] | Marion? We’re toasting! | 马里恩?我们在烤面包了! |
[14:50] | Just go away. | 走开! |
[14:55] | To Ken and Marion on their big day next week. | 祝贺肯和马里恩下周的大日子! |
[15:00] | And to Marion’s new book. German philosophy will never be the same. | 也祝贺马里恩的新书出版 德国哲学因为你的书要有变动了 |
[15:04] | Let’s hope not. | 但愿不要这样 |
[15:06] | You’ll go on for ever. Heidegger definitely got what he deserved. | 你永远是对的 海德格 绝对得到了应有的待遇 |
[15:10] | Hey, I’d like to propose a toast. | 嗨 我想敬一杯酒 |
[15:12] | To good health and happiness. | 祝大家身体健康 万事如意 |
[15:16] | – Aren’t you gonna drink to Marion? – Yes, why not? | – 不跟马里恩喝一杯吗? – 当然要喝 |
[15:19] | I drink to Marion with my eyes. | 我深情地与马里恩共饮 |
[15:22] | Smoothie. Old smoothie. | 真会哄人开心啊! |
[15:41] | I was just returning some things. | 我来还一些东西 |
[15:47] | You could stop staring. | 你们可以不盯着我看吗? |
[15:49] | I’m not a ghost. | 我不是鬼 |
[15:53] | Well, we did spend a few years together, had a child together, in this house. | 噢 我们确实在这个房子里共同生活 过几年 还养了一个女儿 |
[15:58] | I wish you’d called. | 你来之前应该打个电话 |
[16:00] | I’m not staying. Although some of these people used to be my friends too. | 我不会留下的 虽然这其中有些人曾经也是我的朋友 |
[16:08] | – Would you like a drink? – Kitty… | – 要喝点什么吗? – 基蒂… |
[16:10] | Don’t panic, I’m not accepting. | – 别怕!我又没同意 |
[16:13] | These are artefacts from more civilised days between us. | 这是我们从前友好相处时候收藏的工艺品 |
[16:18] | I think perhaps you should just leave them and go. | 我想你可以留下它们 然后走了 |
[16:21] | Which one’s Marion? | 谁是马里恩? |
[16:24] | – I am. – Kathy, this is in terrible taste, you know. | – 我是 – 基蒂 这样不好 你不觉得吗? |
[16:27] | Oh, my ex-husband is an authority on taste! | 噢 我的前夫可是位品位专家啊 |
[16:30] | Now what does Emily Post say about adultery with a philosophy professor | 现在 艾米丽·波斯特怎么看待 趁着妻子在医院做卵巣切割手术的时候 |
[16:35] | in a Holiday Inn while his wife is in the hospital having her ovaries removed? | 在假日旅馆里和一个哲学教授通奸? |
[16:39] | – OK, that’s enough. Now please leave. – Ah, jeez. | – 噢 够了 请离开这里 – 啊 呀 |
[16:42] | I realise that you’ve been hurt, and if I’ve done anything wrong I am sorry. | 我知道你受过伤害 如果我曾经对不起你 我很抱歉 |
[16:47] | Forgive me. I accept your condemnation. | 请原谅我 我接受你的指责 |
[16:57] | I’m so sorry. | 很抱歉 (“虚构”) |
[17:18] | What can I say to change your heart? | 我说什么能让你改变心意呢? |
[17:22] | I’m really amazed at you. | 你这人真是不可思议 |
[17:25] | He’s your friend. He’s just… He’s just had an embarrassing experience. | 他是你的朋友 而且刚刚… 刚刚经历了一件很不愉快的事儿 |
[17:30] | Yes, he is my friend. And I love him. | 是的 他是我的朋友 我爱他 |
[17:33] | But he’s a prig. He’s cold and he’s stuffy. | 可他太一本正经了 既冷酷又乏味 |
[17:38] | Can’t you see that? “I accept your condemnation.” Jesus! | 你看不出来吗? “我接受你的指责”天呢! |
[17:44] | He handled a very difficult moment quite well. | 他把一件难事儿处理得很好 |
[17:47] | Oh, too well. Do you like that? | 噢 处理得太好了 你喜欢吗 |
[17:50] | He’s a snob. | 他是个假正经 |
[17:52] | He’s a wonderful man. | 他是个很棒的男人 |
[17:55] | And he’s… he’s a terrific doctor. | 并且他…他是一个不错的医生 |
[17:59] | He’s cultured and he’s honourable. | 他有教养 受人尊敬 |
[18:02] | I love to be with him. I… I… | 我喜欢跟他在一起 我…我… |
[18:05] | – I love reading books with him, and… – It’s all up here. All up here. | – 我喜欢跟他一块儿读书… – 想清楚 想清楚 |
[18:10] | And he’s sexy. | 而且他很性感 |
[18:12] | Adultery in the Holiday Inn? Did they take a credit card? | 在假日旅馆通奸? 他们带了信用卡吗? |
[18:17] | He would never try to undermine you. | 他永远都不会诋毁你 |
[18:22] | Even if he loved a woman passionately? | 即使他强烈地爱上了一个女人? |
[18:31] | Maybe we should join the others. | 或许我们应该跟大家呆一块儿 |
[18:33] | Maybe I was wrong about you. | 也许我看错你了 |
[18:37] | – Maybe you’re two of a kind. – Maybe you had too much champagne. | – 也许你只是太好了 – 也许你喝香槟喝多了 |
[18:41] | Maybe this conversation is scaring you. | 也许这个谈话让你害怕了 |
[18:44] | I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[18:47] | Why don’t you do that? | 你为什么要这样对我? |
[18:57] | I often wonder about real love. | 我常常对真爱感到疑惑 |
[19:00] | Or should I say, I… I keep myself from thinking about it. | 或者 可以说 我…我尽量让自己不去想真爱 |
[19:05] | – I don’t mean the kind I’ve experienced. | – – 我不是指我经历的那些事情 |
[19:08] | It’s deeper, much more intense. And then I become frightened. | 它很深 很强烈 我觉得自己有些害怕了 |
[19:15] | Because I feel too much… | 因为我觉得太… |
[19:25] | – Hi. How are ya? – Fine. | – 嗨!你好吗? – 还可以 |
[19:27] | This is great, this is really nice. I like it a lot. So are you ready? | 太棒了 好好噢 我喜欢这种感觉 准备出发了吗? |
[19:31] | – Sure. – I’m sorry, am I too early? | – 可以 – 不好意思 我是不是来得太早了? |
[19:33] | – No. – So I’m here on time? OK, great. | – 不 – 那么我来得正好?太好了! |
[19:37] | – You know your dad’s not coming? – Yes. I spoke with him. Are you all right? | – 你知道你爸爸不去吧? – 是啊 我跟他谈过 你没事儿吧? |
[19:42] | – Me? – You just… | – 我? – 你刚刚似乎… |
[19:44] | – No, sure, I’m fine. – OK. | – 噢 不 我没问题 – 好吧 |
[19:46] | All right, well, we should get going then, so we can beat the traffic. | 好吧 那我们就应该出发了 再晚可能就堵车了 |
[20:04] | I’ve gathered a number of your mother’s possessions and mementos. | 我收拾了你妈妈留下的一些物品和纪念品 |
[20:08] | Pictures, letters. | 照片 信件 |
[20:11] | You may as well have them. | 你可以留着它们 |
[20:13] | I just can’t seem to bring myself to throw them away. | 我下不了决心把它们仍掉 |
[20:17] | – Was it unbearable, the past few months? – I’ve managed to keep myself busy. | – 过去的几个月您是不是觉得难以承受? – 我尽量让自己忙起来 |
[20:22] | – I wish you’d consider moving to the city. – I’m fine right here. | – 我希望你可以考虑一下搬去城里住 – 我在这儿就挺好的 |
[20:27] | Clara comes in. She cleans and cooks for me the way she always has, | 克拉拉来了 她象以前那样 为我整理东西 做饭 |
[20:32] | so that’s no different. | 所以跟以前也没有什么不一样 |
[20:34] | Twice a year the board of the Smithsonian meets. | 史秘斯俱乐部每两年聚会一次 |
[20:38] | That gets me down to Washington, and takes up some of my time. | 这可以让我在华盛顿待一段时间 打发一些日子 |
[20:46] | I’m all right. I’m fine right here. | 我挺好的 在这儿就挺好的 |
[20:49] | But you want nothing around to even remind you of Mother? | 可你不想周围有任何东西 能让你想起妈妈? |
[20:53] | Well, there are times when even a historian shouldn’t look at the past. | 噢 有些时候 即使历史学家也不应该回望过去 |
[20:59] | You think at your age you can meet someone and fall in love again? | 您认为依您的年纪还能 遇到并爱上其他人? |
[21:02] | One hopes at my age to build up an immunity. | 我这样年纪的人希望的是有免疫性 |
[21:09] | Are you aware that Paul and Lynn are getting a divorce? | 您知道保罗和林恩在离婚吗? |
[21:13] | Nothing Paul does would surprise me, and I’d much rather not hear about him. | 保罗做的事从没让我感到惊奇过 我宁愿不知道他们的事儿 |
[21:17] | – He’s had bad luck. – He’s had the same chances you’ve had. | – 他运气不好 – 跟你当初的经历一样 |
[21:22] | It’s just that he doesn’t have it inside him to stick with anything. | 只是他内心深处从不知道对任何事情执着 |
[21:26] | – I hope you’re not still giving him money. – No, just, you know, now and then. | – 我希望你现在没有再接济他 – 没有 只是 偶尔而已 |
[21:31] | I’ve salvaged him from more financial messes, | 我曾经很多次把他从 经济困境中解救出来 |
[21:36] | and I’ve spent more money doing it, than I care to tell you. | 花的钱不计其数 有些我都没告诉你 |
[21:40] | Someday he’ll defraud somebody in one of his so-called business ventures. | 日后他可能在所谓的商业冒险中 欺骗到某些人 |
[21:46] | And he’ll go to jail. | 然后就坐牢去了 (大提琴和钢琴奏鸣曲2) |
[21:52] | I noticed you sort of gave me a disapproving look at dinner. | 我注意到了你在吃晚饭时 朝我不赞同地看了一眼 |
[21:57] | Well, I didn’t think it was very sensitive of you to ask my father | 噢 我觉得你问我父亲 他的年龄是否能再爱 |
[22:01] | whether at his age he could still fall in love. | 是不明智的 |
[22:04] | – Well, he didn’t take it badly. – No, but it just isn’t very tactful. | – 噢 他并没把它看得很糟糕 – 不是 只是这个问题不太得体 |
[22:08] | He’s old now. He doesn’t have to be reminded of it. | 他现在老了 不需要被人提醒到这个话题 |
[22:11] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[22:13] | It’s OK, it’s just… | 没关系 只是… |
[22:16] | Never mind, it’s… youth. | 别多虑了 年轻人总会这样想 |
[22:19] | Here are the photos. | 来看照片吧 |
[22:22] | And here’s my mother’s jewellery. Such as it is. | 这是我妈妈的珠宝 |
[22:26] | They were never ones for sentimental possessions. | 它们不该挑起多愁善感的遐想 |
[22:30] | Here’s her book of Rilke’s poems. | 这是她的书 里克写的 |
[22:33] | You know, she was the one who first introduced me to German poetry. | 你知道 她是第一个引导 我看德国诗歌的人 |
[22:38] | And there’s a picture of the house in the fall. | 这是秋天拍的我们家的房子的一张照片 |
[22:41] | That’s really nice. Oh, there we are in the kitchen. | 真好看 这张是我们在厨房 |
[22:45] | And there’s Clara. Look how young you were here, Clara. | 那是克拉拉 看啊 克拉拉那时多年轻啊 |
[22:48] | You were so good to us. I can still taste the cookies you used to bake. | 你对我们真好 我仍记得你常做给我们吃的饼干的味道 |
[22:53] | You used to sit up with us when we had those miserable colds. You were a saint. | 我们被感冒折磨得睡不着觉时 你也陪着我们熬夜 你真是个圣人 |
[22:57] | Oh, and here I am, older. I could go up to the spare room and paint for hours. | 噢 这是我大一点的时候 我可以在备用室一连待几个小时来画画 |
[23:02] | The time would just fly by when I was doing a picture. | 我在作画的时候 时间也在飞快地流失 |
[23:05] | And there I am with my friend Claire. You know, she became an actress. | 那是我跟朋友克莱尔在一起 你知道的 她现在是演员 |
[23:09] | We used to be so close, but I haven’t seen her in years. | 我们过去非常亲密 几年都不见她了 |
[23:14] | And there’s my mother. She loved strolling around the grounds. | 那是我妈妈 她喜欢到林地散步 |
[23:19] | She loved all beautiful things. She loved nature, music, poetry. | 她喜欢所有美妙的事物 自然 音乐 诗歌 |
[23:24] | That was her whole existence. | 她从来与那些事物不可分割 |
[23:30] | – Paul? I’d like to discuss something. – Yes, Dad? | – 保罗?我跟你说点儿事儿 – 好的 爸爸 |
[23:34] | I’ve had a talk with my brother Ben. | 我跟我弟弟本谈过了 |
[23:38] | And he has promised me that he will find a position for you next season in his firm. | 他答应下个季度给你 在他的公司里谋个职位 |
[23:42] | I don’t wanna work in a cardboard box factory. | 我不想在纸箱厂工作 |
[23:45] | – It’s paper products, Paul, not just boxes. – But I tried it once. I go nuts. | – 他们还有纸制品 保罗 不光是造箱子 – 可我去过啊 真要疯了 |
[23:50] | Paul… | 保罗… |
[23:52] | There are some obligations one must accept. | 有些义务必须要履行的 |
[23:56] | This has not been a good year. | 今年家境不怎么好 |
[23:59] | Your mother is very ill, and I have decided to take time off | 你妈妈病得不轻 我也想先放下工作 |
[24:03] | to finish my study on the Continental Congress. | 来完成对大陆委员会的研究 |
[24:06] | It’s important that there is enough money to see that Marion can go away to college. | 但我们得保证能有足够的钱 让马里恩去上大学 |
[24:11] | I want her to take that scholarship. She is such a brilliant girl. | 我想让她继续深造 她是个聪明的女孩 |
[24:14] | But I had other plans. | 可我有自己的计划啊 |
[24:16] | I’m sure those plans included card-playing and time-wasting. | 我肯定你的计划中包含打牌 浪费时间 |
[24:20] | – That’s not fair. – Paul, your grades are mediocre. | – 这不公平 – 保罗 你的成绩很普通 |
[24:24] | It’s not because you’re not smart enough, it’s simply that you don’t apply yourself. | 不是说你不聪明 只是你不好好学习 |
[24:29] | I know. And Marion’s a genius. | 我知道 而且马里恩是个天才 |
[24:33] | She has the opportunity to go to Bryn Mawr. | 她有去拜恩·莫尔学习的机会 |
[24:37] | – Do you want to prevent her? – No. | – 你想阻止她吗? – 不 |
[24:40] | She’s going to be something. She’s got what it takes. There are no limits for her. | 她将来会成材的 她已经学有所成了 她的前程无量 |
[24:46] | If only I could stop her daydreaming in the woods with her beloved watercolours. | 如果我能阻止她在树林里 做关于水彩画的白日梦就好了 |
[25:02] | Paul? | 保罗? |
[25:06] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[25:08] | He’s making me go to work in the paper box factory. | 他要让我去纸箱厂工作 |
[25:12] | – Well, what do you wanna do? – I don’t know. | – 噢 你想干什么呢? – 不知道 |
[25:15] | Move out of the house, travel, find some interesting business, | 从家里搬出去 去旅行 做一些有趣的事儿 |
[25:19] | anything but work in a paper box factory. | 在纸箱厂工作以外的任何事儿 |
[25:23] | I hate him. Both of them. | 我恨他 他们两个都恨! |
[25:26] | They live in their own worid. | 他们只生活在自己的世界里 (“大提琴和钢琴奏鸣曲2”) |
[25:51] | – Is this close enough? – Yeah, I’m meeting Scott right up here. | – 在这儿下车行吗? – 行!我就在这儿跟斯科特约着见面 |
[25:55] | Why don’t you come? He’d love to meet you, and I’ve told him a lot about you. | 为什么不一起去呢?他总想见你 我跟他讲了不少关于你的事儿 |
[25:59] | Thank you, honey, but I’m really tired. | 谢谢 亲爱的 可我真的累了 |
[26:03] | – Can I take a rain check? – Come on, just for one beer. | – 再过段日子好吧? – 来嘛 一起喝一杯啤酒就好 |
[26:05] | It’s really early, and Dad’s not gonna be home yet. | 天还早呢 爸爸还没回家呢 |
[26:09] | Do you see someone? | 你看见谁了吗? |
[26:11] | – I do. – Who? | – 是的 – 谁啊? |
[26:14] | It’s just, uh… it’s an acquaintance of mine, it’s a woman I know. | 只是…一个熟人 我认识的一个女人 |
[26:21] | All right, well, thanks a lot. I had a terrific time. | 好吧 谢谢你 我玩得挺开心 |
[26:25] | – OK. | – OK. Bye. – 好! – 再见! |
[27:44] | I forgot half of that speech tonight. | 今晚预先准备的发言我忘了一半 |
[27:48] | Marion. I… | 马里恩… |
[27:50] | – Claire? – It’s you. It is you. It is. | – 克莱尔? – 是你 真的是你! |
[27:54] | – Claire? I was just talking about you. – Yes? | – 克莱尔?我刚刚还提到你呢 – 什么? |
[27:57] | I was going through old photos at my father’s house. What are you doing here? | 我刚刚在我爸那儿看一些老照片 你在这边做什么? |
[28:03] | – I’m doing a play. And it’s closing, but… – You’re in a show? | – 在演出 刚结束了… – 你在表演? |
[28:07] | Yes. I guess you don’t read the theatre section of the paper. | 是啊 我猜你不怎么读报纸上 剧场演出那个版面 |
[28:10] | Well, yes, I do, but I just had no idea. | 噢 看的 只是我常常不记得看的什么 |
[28:15] | I’m sorry, what am I doing? I’m sorry. This is my husband, this is Jack. | 抱歉 我这是怎么了? 这是我丈夫 杰克 |
[28:19] | – Marion Post. – Nice to meet you. | – 马里恩·波斯特 – 很高兴见到你 |
[28:21] | Oh, my goodness. Claire, I have wondered about you so often. | 天呢 克莱尔 我经常想到你呢 |
[28:25] | – Well, we live in Monterey now. – Really? Do you have time for a drink? | – 噢 我们现在住在蒙特里 – 真的吗?有时间去喝点东西? |
[28:30] | – Sorry, we’re meeting some friends. – No, we have time till our appointment. | – 不好意思 我们正要去见一些朋友 – 不 我们约会完再去见也不晚 |
[28:34] | – Do we? – Oh, great. There must be a place here. | – 可以吗? – 噢 太棒了 附近应该有可以聊天的地方 |
[28:37] | – Come on, this way. Straight ahead. – I just… | – 来 这边 直向前走 – 我刚… |
[28:47] | … Amnesty International and ACLU. Then they were on the same day. | 国际特赦和美国国民自由联盟 在同一天入会 |
[28:51] | Listen, you gotta be kidding me. Are you saying that you are | 听我说 你在开玩笑吧? 你是说你是 |
[28:56] | a member of Amnesty International and the American Civil Liberties Union? | 国际特赦和美国国民自由联盟的成员? |
[29:00] | Marion always had the urge to save humanity, didn’t you? | 马里恩一直有那种拯救人性的欲望 是吧? |
[29:03] | Just give me a flood or a famine. Ken too. | 只给洪水或饥荒类的事件 肯也是 |
[29:06] | – Where do you find the time? – It doesn’t work out all the time. | – 你们哪有那么多时间? – 也不是一直都可以做下去 |
[29:09] | And head of the philosophy department. It’s impossible. | 你还是哲学系的主任 真不可思议啊! |
[29:13] | I took two years of philosophy, University of Chicago. | 我在芝加哥大学上过两年哲学 |
[29:16] | – They’ve got a great department. – It was good, before they made me leave. | – 那里的哲学系挺棒 – 他们开除我之前挺棒 |
[29:21] | And Claire, you never told me about this chapter in your life. | 克莱尔 你从没跟我说过 你还经历过这样一些事儿 |
[29:24] | – I thought I had. – We were so close. | – 我说过吧 – 我们过去很亲密 |
[29:27] | – It was clear she’d be a gifted actress. – No… | – 那时毫无疑问 她会成为一名杰出的演员 – 不是… |
[29:30] | Don’t you believe her. This woman always had that flair. | 别信她的 这个女人就有这么种才能 |
[29:34] | Do you get to the theatre much? I guess not with your schedule. | 你常去剧院吗? 依照你的时间表 我想不会吧 |
[29:38] | I do. My husband really prefers the opera, but there’s so little to see. | 我常去的 我丈夫爱看歌剧 可总没那么多歌剧看 |
[29:42] | – I used to be a devoted Brechtian. – I staged some Brecht. | – 我过去是个布莱希特迷 – 我演过他的戏剧 |
[29:46] | – Did you? – Yes. Mother Courage. | – 是吗? – 是啊“勇敢的母亲” |
[29:48] | – Not the one here? – Yes, the one here. Did you see it? | – 是在这儿演的吗? – 是啊 就是在这儿的 你看过? |
[29:51] | Sure I saw it. That’s the most intelligent rendering of that play I’ve ever seen. | 我当然看过 那是我所看过的 这部戏剧最好的翻译作品 |
[29:56] | – That’s sweet of you. – I had problems with the translation. | – 你真会说话 – 但我觉得翻译还是有点问题 |
[29:59] | Some of the speeches could have been a little better. | 有些言辞还有待改善 |
[30:02] | – Exactly. The translation was awkward. – But you did a terrific job. Really terrific. | – 确实 翻译挺遭 – 但你做得很棒!真的很棒! |
[30:07] | Hey, hey. Hey. | 喂 喂 喂! |
[30:10] | Look at me once in a while. I’m your wife, not her. | 偶尔也看看我 我是你的妻子 不是她 |
[30:13] | Huh? | 恩? |
[30:14] | You’ve been hanging on her every word since we sat down. | 自从我们坐下 她说的每一个字你都言听计从 |
[30:17] | You’re embarrassing me. | 你真让我难堪! |
[30:19] | Jack is very impressed by certain things which I apparently cannot give him. | 杰克对某些事情很感兴趣 显然我给不了他那些东西 |
[30:23] | Claire, take it easy. | 克莱尔 放松点儿 |
[30:24] | Do you deny he’s been looking into your eyes for over an hour? | 他盯着你看了一个多小时 这点儿你不能否认吧? |
[30:29] | – I don’t think you heard one word I said. – You’re a little drunk. | – 我说的话你一个字都听不进去 – 你有点儿醉了 |
[30:33] | – If you’d rather be alone with her… – Claire, stop it, this is foolish. | – 如果你想跟她单独相处… – 克莱尔 别说了 你真傻 |
[30:37] | – We’re just having a nice chat. – Don’t. Don’t play innocent with me. | – 我们只是聊得挺愉快 – 别 别跟我装嫩 |
[30:41] | – This wouldn’t be the first time. – Stop this. | – 这不是第一次了 – 住口! |
[30:43] | – What does that mean? – Let’s go, Claire. Sorry, Marion. | – 你这么说是什么意思? – 咱们走吧 克莱尔 抱歉 马里恩 |
[30:46] | We’ve been in this situation before, | 我们以前也出现过这种状况 |
[30:48] | where you so innocently wound up causing me to doubt my whole life. | 你那么无辜的演技 甚至让我开始怀疑自己生活的意义 |
[30:52] | Claire, you’re being awfully theatrical. | 克莱尔 你刚刚太入戏了 |
[30:55] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我真不知道你在说什么 |
[30:58] | We didn’t just drift apart, Marion. I withdrew. | 我们不是偶然分开了 马里恩 是我躲开你了 |
[31:03] | – You’re not talking about David? – Then you do know. | – 你不会是在说有关大卫的事吧? – 看来你知道啊 |
[31:07] | – I know I never had any interest in him. – But you knew how much I cared for him. | – 我知道我对他从未感兴趣过 – 可你知道我多么在意他 |
[31:11] | I had nothing to do with him. And I never gave him a shred of encouragement. | 我跟他一点关系都没有 我也从未给过他一丁点儿的暗示 |
[31:17] | That’s not true. | 不是这样的 |
[31:18] | Your conversations were full of subtle flirtations, full of meaningful little looks, | 你们的谈话总有那么多微妙的调情意味 那么多深情的眼神 |
[31:24] | and… little gambits designed to seduce. | 还有…打算引诱他的小话题 |
[31:30] | That’s so untrue. | 完全不是这样的 |
[31:33] | And you’ve held that against me? | 你当时可以跟我指出来啊 |
[31:35] | He couldn’t see anything except how infatuated he was with you. | 他当时除了深深被你吸引之外 听不进任何话 |
[31:39] | We never spent a single moment alone. I never had anything to do with him. | 我们从未单独呆过 我跟他一点关系都没有 |
[31:43] | And I say you seduced him. You just… you turned it on whenever he was around. | 我知道你勾引过他 你只是… 只要他在旁边 你就想法吸引他 |
[31:48] | Maybe you didn’t even know that you were doing it. | 也许你甚至都不知道你在那样做 |
[31:51] | Claire, let’s get off the subject. | 克莱尔 别谈这个话题了 |
[31:54] | I must have seemed very bland to him after you. | 跟你相比 我对他来说一定是非常沉闷 |
[31:57] | This is nonsense! To have backed off of a close friendship because of a fantasy? | 这真是荒唐!你就因为自己的遐想 而刻意避开一个好朋友 |
[32:02] | I’m sure I brought it on myself. I was so proud of you. | 我知道我是自找的 我那时很以你为骄傲 |
[32:05] | You were my best friend. You were so witty and so quick, and I was so naive. | 你是我最好的朋友 你思维敏捷 反应很快 而我挺幼稚无知 |
[32:11] | Of course you would want David to fall for you. He was exceptional. | 你当然想让大卫爱上你 他与众不同 |
[32:14] | I refused his overtures. I told him he was with you and it was out of the question. | 我拒绝了他 我告诉他他在跟你约会 跟我不可能 |
[32:19] | – By that time you had what you wanted. – That’s absurd. | – 那时你已经得到自己想要的了 – 这太荒唐了 |
[32:23] | I really believe that you may not have realised what you were doing. | 我真的相信你那时没有意识到 自己在做什么 |
[32:27] | This is outrageous. You should never drink. | 真是没法儿忍受 你真不该喝酒 |
[32:31] | I swear to you, it was never in my mind. Not consciously or subconsciously or… | 我向你发誓我从未有过那样的想法 有意识的或无意识的都没有 |
[32:36] | Think about it. Just think about it sometime. You should be the actress. | 想想看 偶尔想想看 应该让你来做演员 |
[32:51] | When I got home Ken was asleep. I was too shaken up to go to bed. | 我回家时肯已经睡着了 我太清醒了 没法儿入睡 |
[32:56] | The incident with Claire had left me edgy and uncomfortable. | 关于克拉拉的那件事儿让我既烦躁又不爽 |
[33:00] | I thought if I read for a while it might relax me. | 我想看会书可能能放松点儿 |
[33:03] | I thumbed through my mother’s edition of Rilke. | 我翻了翻母亲那本里克的书 |
[33:07] | When I was 16 I had done a paper on his poem about the panther, | 我16岁时作过一篇论文 是关于他描写豹的一首诗 |
[33:12] | and on the image that the panther saw as it stared out from its cage. | 关在笼子里的豹瞪着外界的那种神情 |
[33:16] | And that image, I concluded, could only be death. | 我觉得 是死亡的神情 |
[33:22] | Then I saw my mother’s favourite poem, | 然后我又看了母亲最爱的一首诗 |
[33:25] | “Archaic Torso of Apollo”. | “阿波罗遗作” |
[33:30] | There were stains on the page, which I believe were her tears. | 书上有些污点 我想是母亲的眼泪 |
[33:36] | They fell across the last line. | 它们滴在诗的最后一行 |
[33:40] | “For here there is no place that does not see you. “ | 因为这儿没有哪一个地方看不到你 |
[33:46] | “You must change your life.” | “你必须换个活法儿” |
[33:52] | You got in late last night. | 昨晚睡得很晚吧? |
[33:54] | I ran into an old friend. | 遇上一个老朋友 |
[33:57] | Then I didn’t sleep. I don’t think I closed my eyes for ten minutes. | 然后我就睡不着了 我觉得十分钟都没睡到 |
[34:01] | I don’t know how you do it. I’d collapse. | 不知道你怎么办到的 换我的话 要虚脱了 |
[34:04] | We’re going to the concert with Mark and Lydia tonight. | 我们今晚要跟马克和莉迪亚去音乐会 |
[34:07] | I’m good for today, it’s tomorrow I’ll feel it. | 今天还可以 明天就得考虑考虑了 |
[34:12] | Yeah, but tomorrow we’re going to Tom and Eleanor’s for dinner. | 明天我们得去汤姆和埃莉诺家吃晚饭 |
[34:15] | And Friday, Mark and Lydia are taking us out for our anniversary. | 星期五马克和莉迪亚带我们 出去庆祝结婚周年 |
[34:20] | – Is it our anniversary already? – Yeah. Goes quickly, doesn’t it? | – 已经到结婚纪念日了? – 是啊 快吧? |
[34:27] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了? |
[34:29] | I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[34:32] | What is it? | 到底怎么了? |
[34:35] | Well, you know, shouldn’t we spend our anniversary alone? | 噢 你看 我们单独过周年纪念日怎么样? |
[34:38] | We could go to the restaurant where we had our first night together. | 我们可以去第一次在一起时住的那家旅馆 |
[34:42] | In Philadelphia? | 去费城? |
[34:49] | Hold me. | 抱着我 |
[34:54] | Hey. | 怎么了? |
[34:58] | Honey. | 亲爱的 |
[35:02] | I’ve already found your present. | 我已经收到礼物了 |
[35:11] | Did I seduce you away from your wife? | 是我引诱你离开你妻子的吗? |
[35:17] | No, I seduced you, don’t you remember? | 不是 是我引诱你的 不记得了? |
[35:21] | Then I was worried in case you wouldn’t consider me because I was married. | 我那时候还担心你会不会不理我 因为我结婚了 |
[35:27] | Well… | 嗯… |
[35:29] | So how was it with Laura last night? You know that kid idolises you. | 昨天晚上跟劳拉过得怎么样 那个孩子很崇拜你 |
[35:33] | Yeah. | 是 |
[35:36] | I’d better get going, I guess. I have to stop at the library on my way downtown. | 我得走了 半路得去一趟图书馆 |
[35:40] | OK. | 好的 |
[36:02] | You’re silent today. | 你今天不怎么说话 |
[36:05] | Usually you’re quite talkative. | 你是个健谈的人啊 |
[36:09] | Yeah, I… I-I have nothing to say. | 对 我…我没有什么说的了 |
[36:15] | Mm-hm. | 嗯 |
[36:25] | I… That is, I have nothing to report. | 我是说…该说的都说完了 |
[36:31] | Are you angry? | 你生气吗? |
[36:35] | No, not that I’m aware of. | 不 我觉得没有 |
[36:38] | But you have nothing to say? | 那你怎么会没话说了 |
[36:42] | No. | 是没话说了 |
[37:49] | She saw us, Scott. I asked you to lock the door. | 她看到我们了 我不是告诉你要锁门吗? |
[37:52] | You said they were walking in the woods. | 你不是说他们在树林里散步吗? |
[37:54] | Dad said he was uncomfortable about us being here for the weekend, | 爸爸说我们在这儿过周末 他感到不舒服 |
[37:59] | and I tried to explain, make him trust me, and I said it would be all right, and this… | 我跟他解释了 让他相信我 说不会有事的 这… |
[38:04] | – Come on, I’m sure she’s sophisticated. – Yeah, you don’t know Marion. | – 不会的 我相信她会通情达理的 – 你不了解马里恩 |
[38:07] | – I thought you said she was pretty hip. – Yeah, she is, she’s great. She’s… | – 我记得你说过她很聪明 – 对 没错 她很聪明 她… |
[38:12] | She’s great. She… I dunno, it’s just that she’s, um… | 是个很棒的人 她…我不知道 她只是有点… |
[38:17] | She’s a little… judgmental. | 喜欢评判别人 |
[38:19] | You know? She sort of stands above people and evaluates them. | 你知道吗?她好像总是高高在上 喜欢评价别人 |
[38:25] | I’ve heard her make remarks about her brother, and… | 我听她说过她弟弟 我觉得… |
[38:28] | I always think that she’s gonna judge me that way. I dunno. | 总觉得她也会那样来评价我 我也说不清楚 |
[38:32] | I just… Now I feel really cheap for some reason. | 我只是 不知道怎么感到自己没有价值 |
[38:37] | – Cheap? – Yes. | – 没有价值? – 对 |
[38:39] | – Cheap? – Yes. | – 没有价值? – 是 |
[38:40] | – I thought it was very romantic. – It was. | – 我觉得这是浪漫 – 是啊 |
[38:43] | With the fire, and the wine… | 我们有篝火 有酒… |
[38:46] | Yeah. It was. | 对 没错 |
[38:50] | I couldn’t work any more that day. | 那天我再也写不下去了 |
[38:53] | I felt I needed some fresh air. | 我觉得需要呼吸一点新鲜空气 |
[38:57] | I walked the streets aimlessly, just trying to put some jumbled thoughts in order. | 我漫无目的的在街上走 整理一下混乱的思维 |
[39:03] | I don’t know how long I wandered, | 我不知道自己走了多长时间 |
[39:05] | but when I looked up I was quite far from my writing room. | 等我再抬起头来的时候 已经离我的房子很远了 |
[39:27] | What’s happened? | 怎么了? |
[39:30] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[39:34] | Well, what are you doing here? | 你来这儿干什么? |
[39:41] | – Something must be wrong. – Oh, don’t say that. | – 肯定出什么事了? – 没有 没有什么事 |
[39:46] | Marion, you don’t seek out my company very often. | 马里恩 你一般不会来找我的 |
[39:51] | You must need something. | 你想要什么? |
[39:53] | Yes, I do need something. | 我是想要点东西 |
[39:56] | Only I don’t know what it is, exactly. | 但是我也不知道具体是什么 |
[40:00] | – Well, what do I have I could offer? – You can be honest with me, Paul. | – 我能为你做点什么 – 你需要你对我说实话 保罗 |
[40:05] | You and I were so close when we were young. | 我们小的时候可是无话不说 |
[40:10] | How honest do you want me to be? | 你想让我说什么实话 |
[40:13] | It was just today that I realised how long it’s been since we’ve even spoken. | 我只是今天忽然意识到 我们有多久没有好好聊聊了 |
[40:18] | Well… | 是吗… |
[40:20] | I gave up pursuing you when I realised how uncomfortable it made you feel. | 当我意识到我继续追着你跑 会让你很不舒服 我就放弃了 |
[40:25] | – That’s not true. – Don’t deny it. Come on, Marion. | – 不是这样的 – 不要否认 就是这样 马里恩 |
[40:32] | You know… | 你知道… |
[40:35] | I realised… that I disappointed you. | 我知道…我让你失望了 |
[40:39] | And worse, I realised that I embarrass you. How I live and who I marry, and… | 甚至让你感到不安了 不管是我的生活方式还是婚姻 |
[40:45] | Of course, that’s falling apart now, so we don’t have to worry about it. | 但是我们已经有了不同 的生活 也就没什么了 |
[40:50] | She wants me to work for Cousin Andrew. | 她希望我到库辛·安德鲁公司工作 |
[40:58] | But she’s right, you know, because I never have supported her and the kids properly. | 她是对的 我确实从未为她 和孩子尽到应有的责任 |
[41:03] | Well, would that be so awful? Working for Andrew? | 为什么就不能去工作? 安德鲁公司有什么不好? |
[41:09] | You used to say that. | 你过去也说过 |
[41:11] | I know. I know I did, but… | 我知道 我是说过 |
[41:14] | – Times change. – Yeah, they certainly do. | – 不过一切都改变了 – 没错 |
[41:19] | Do you remember, some years ago, | 你还记得几年以前 |
[41:22] | when I, uh, I showed you something I’d written? You remember what you said? | 那时候我给你看我写的东西 你记得你说的话吗? |
[41:27] | No, I don’t remember. I was probably just trying to be truthful. | 不 我不记得了 可能只是说了实话吧 |
[41:32] | Yes, I’m sure. You said “This is overblown.” | 没错 我想是实话 你说“太华而不实” |
[41:37] | “It’s too emotional. It’s maudlin.” | “感情太过于丰富 太伤感” |
[41:39] | “Your dreams may be meaningful to you, but to the objective observer they’re…” | “你的梦想或许对你自己有意义 但对于旁观者来说…” |
[41:45] | “It’s so embarrassing.” | “会让人不安” |
[41:48] | I said that? | 是我说的? |
[41:50] | Exactly your words. | 你的原话 |
[41:55] | So I try not to embarrass you… | 所以我不会让你不安的 |
[41:58] | any more. | 再也不会了 |
[42:05] | I should go. | 我得走了 (G大调第四交响乐) |
[42:28] | I’ve spent all afternoon trying to think of a great place to take you two | 我想了一个下午要帮你们俩找个地方 |
[42:32] | to celebrate your anniversary on Friday. | 庆祝你们星期五的结婚纪念日 |
[42:34] | What’s wrong with the hotel in Philadelphia | 费城旅馆有什么不好 |
[42:37] | where you had your first illicit moments of passion? | 你们可是在那里度的蜜月 |
[42:41] | – You see? He thinks like you think. – He drinks, not thinks. | – 看到了吧?他想的跟你想得一样 – 他喝酒可以 想法不见得高明 |
[42:45] | I should drink. I should drink. If I ever started drinking… This is not drinking. | 我应该喝酒 应该多喝酒 如果让我多喝一点 可就不是这样了 |
[42:51] | Excuse me, I’m sorry to disturb you, but… | 打扰一下 对不起打断你们… |
[42:55] | I was a pupil of yours 20 years ago. Vermont? | 我是你的学生 那是20年以前 在佛蒙特 |
[42:59] | Cynthia Frank? You probably won’t remember, but… | 我叫辛西娅·弗兰克 你可能不记得了 |
[43:02] | Yes, I do. I do remember you. | 我记得 我确实记得你 |
[43:04] | – You changed my life. – I did? | – 你改变了我的人生 – 是吗? |
[43:06] | You… she was the inspiration for every woman in the philosophy department. | 你…她给了哲学系的所有女生很大的教益 |
[43:11] | – That’s very kind of you. – I still remember the lectures so clearly. | – 谢谢你 – 我还清楚的记得你上的课 |
[43:15] | There was a particular talk you gave on ethics and moral responsibility that… | 有一堂课是关于道德责任的课 |
[43:21] | Well, your ideas were amazing to me, and they’re still amazing to me. | 你的观点对我有很大的启发 到现在都是 |
[43:28] | Well, didn’t mean to interrupt, but I wanted to tell you. | 对不起 我不是故意打扰你们的 只是想告诉你 |
[43:31] | I’ve seen you here before, and I never was able to say that you changed my life. | 我以前就在这儿见过你 但是一直不敢告诉你 是你改变了我的一生 |
[43:36] | Thanks. | 谢谢你 |
[43:37] | Hey, all right. All right. Well done. | 嘿 真好 真的不错 |
[43:41] | Do you remember that lecture? It’s terrific that she just turned around and… | 你还记得上过的那堂课吗? 她竟然能转过身跟你说这样的话… |
[43:47] | It’s very touching. | 真让人感动 |
[43:50] | I had spent a second sleepless night, and the following day at work I felt it. | 第二天晚上我又一夜没睡 白天开始工作马上就感觉到了 |
[43:56] | I couldn’t write at all, and what little I did try was forced. | 根本不能写东西 写的东西都是 拼命从脑子里挤出来的 |
[44:00] | Usually I can’t sleep in the day, but I was exhausted. | 通常我白天不会睡觉 但是那天实在太累了 |
[44:04] | I closed my eyes for a few minutes, and that’s when the dream must have come. | 我闭了一小会儿眼 然后就开始做梦 |
[44:11] | You’re not gonna say anything? | 你还是什么都不说吗? |
[44:16] | You haven’t said a thing, and your hour’s almost up. | 你一直没说话 时间快到了 |
[44:22] | I don’t believe you have nothing to say. | 我不相信你没有话说了 |
[44:27] | I think it’s because you’re angry. | 我觉得你是生气了 |
[44:31] | Too choked with rage to speak. | 愤怒让你说不出话 |
[44:34] | What is it that enrages you? | 是什么让你这么愤怒 |
[44:44] | Life. | 生活 |
[44:47] | – Life? – The… the universe. | – 生活? – 整个世界 |
[44:51] | The cruelty, the injustice. | 残忍 不公平 |
[44:54] | The suffering of humanity. | 人类的痛苦 |
[44:57] | Illness, ageing… death. | 疾病 年老…死亡 |
[45:00] | All very abstract. “Humanity.” Don’t worry about humanity all the time. | 这些太抽象 “人类” 不要担心什么人类的问题 |
[45:05] | Get your own life in order. | 先要安排好自己的生活 |
[45:08] | – Yeah. – We’ll continue this tomorrow. | – 好的 – 我们明天继续吧 |
[45:18] | What would you say she was suffering from? | 你知道她为什么而痛苦吗? |
[45:21] | – Self-deception. – Good. It’s a little general. | – 自欺欺人 – 没错 但有点太概括 |
[45:26] | – I don’t think she can part with the lies. – No? Too bad. | – 但她永远了摆脱不了谎言 – 是 太糟了 |
[45:31] | – Not that she doesn’t want to. – It’s precisely that she doesn’t want to. | – 并不是她不想 – 确实是因为她不想 |
[45:35] | When she wants to, she will. | 等她希望摆脱的那一天就没事了 |
[45:38] | – It’s all happening so fast. – I have to hurry. | – 一切都太快了 – 我得抓紧时间 |
[45:41] | I’m trying to prevent her from killing herself. | 我要阻止她自杀 |
[45:45] | – You don’t think she would? – She’s already begun. | – 你觉得她要自杀? – 她已经开始了自杀了 |
[45:49] | – She has? – Oh, not very dramatically. | – 是吗? – 不会很突然的 |
[45:51] | That’s not her style. She’s doing it slowly and methodically, | 她不是那样的人 会慢慢的 一步一步地来 |
[45:55] | and has been since she was very young. | 从很小的时候她就在准备了 |
[45:58] | Now, if you’ll pardon me, I have another patient. | 对不起 我还有一个病人 |
[46:19] | Now that my life is… | 我的人生马上… |
[46:21] | drawing to a close, | 就要结束了 |
[46:24] | I have only regrets. | 现在我心里只有懊悔 |
[46:27] | Regrets that the woman I shared my life with | 我懊悔的是跟我生活了 一辈子的那个女人 |
[46:32] | is not the one I loved the most deeply. | 并不是我最爱的女人 |
[46:36] | Regrets that there is no love between my son and myself. That is my fault. | 懊悔我跟我儿子之间没有爱 那都是我的错 |
[46:42] | Regrets that perhaps I’ve been too severe with my daughter, | 懊悔我对女儿太严厉了 |
[46:48] | too demanding, that I haven’t given her enough feeling. | 要求太苛刻 没有给她足够的同情 |
[46:55] | But I was so unhappy myself, | 我感到很痛苦 |
[46:58] | so caught up in those stupid studies of historical figures. | 一直崇拜那些什么伟大的历史人物 |
[47:05] | Even though I have achieved some eminence in my field, | 虽然我在自己的领域取得了一定的成就 |
[47:10] | I asked too little of myself. | 但是我对自己的要求很少 |
[47:15] | Suddenly the dream shifted and I found myself on a street that was familiar. | 忽然间 梦转到了我很熟悉的一条大街上 |
[47:20] | It seemed to be where I had run into Claire, in front of the theatre. | 好像是我碰到克莱尔的地方 就在剧院前面 (古典音乐) |
[47:38] | – What’s going on? – Come on in. It’s OK. | – 怎么了? – 进来吧 没事 |
[47:42] | Would she like to observe the rehearsal? Claire is such a good actress. | 你愿意看看我们排练吗? 克莱尔是个很棒的演员 |
[47:47] | She plays innumerable roles. | 她演过很多角色 |
[47:50] | Would you ever think of making love to me on the living room floor? | 你想过在客厅地上跟我作爱吗 |
[47:53] | – Would you want me to? – I don’t know. Would you want to? | – 你想让我这么做吗? – 我不知道 你想吗? |
[47:57] | Well, somehow I’ve never seen you as the hardwood floor type. | 我觉得你不是这种类型的人 |
[48:01] | No. That’s a pretty insulting thing to say. | 这样说可是对我的侮辱 |
[48:05] | It’s you that’s the type not to make love anywhere but in bed with the lights out. | 你才是那种只能在卧室关灯作爱的人 |
[48:10] | – Now who’s being insulting? – I suppose you’ll undress and go to bed. | – 到底是谁在侮辱人? – 你希望你拖了衣服到床上去 |
[48:14] | Well, it’s 1am. | 现在是下午一点 |
[48:17] | Let’s try being honest. There’s not much passion left in this marriage, is there? | 我们说实话吧 我们的婚姻已经 没有多少激情了 是吧? |
[48:24] | – Is there not? I haven’t noticed. – Don’t be so aloof. | – 没有了吗?我没有注意到 – 别装得这么超脱 |
[48:27] | I’m trying to tell you something. It’s not erotic any more. | 我是要告诉你 我们之间已经没有欲望了 |
[48:30] | – Well, was it ever? – Was it not? | – 真的是这样吗? – 不是吗? |
[48:34] | Marion, I’m tired. | 马里恩 我累了 |
[48:36] | We rarely sleep together any more, and when we do it’s by the book. | 我们很少一起睡了 就算一起 也是在一堆书旁边 |
[48:39] | It’s the same routine. I know what you’re going to do and in what order. | 一切都习惯了 我知道你要做什么 怎么去做 |
[48:44] | Yeah, it’s true, we are both creatures of routine. Now can we go to sleep? It’s late. | 对 没错 我们都是习惯的动物 睡觉吧 很晚了 |
[48:49] | And could you please try not to toss and talk in your sleep? | 睡觉的时候时候能控制 一下不要翻身 不要说话吗? |
[48:55] | Last night you kept saying “Larry”. I assume you dreamed about Larry Lewis. | 昨天晚上我听到你一直在叫“拉里” 是梦到拉里·刘易斯了吧? |
[49:00] | At the mention of Larry Lewis’s name, | 听到他说拉里·刘易斯的名字 |
[49:02] | I experienced odd feelings of melancholy and longing. | 我感到一种奇怪的感觉 忧郁和渴望 |
[49:08] | I wanted to weep in the dream, | 在梦里我想哭 |
[49:10] | but the tears wouldn’t come. | 但是却哭不出来 |
[49:14] | – Are you married? – Yes. You knew I got married. | – 你结婚了吗? – 是 你知道我结婚了 |
[49:20] | Oh yes. | 哦 对 |
[49:22] | Yes, I had heard that. | 是 我听说了 |
[49:24] | Larry wants us to move back to New York, but I don’t. | 拉里希望我们搬回纽约 我可不想 |
[49:28] | We’ve had such a nice time in Santa Fe. | 在圣达菲过得挺好的 |
[49:31] | – Are you happy? – I’m happy. | – 过得幸福吗? – 很幸福 |
[49:35] | Why don’t I leave you two? I’m sure you have a lot to talk about. | 你们俩聊聊吧 应该有很多说的 |
[49:44] | I see your by-line now and then in magazines. | 我不时能在杂志上看到你写的文章 |
[49:48] | Did you read my novel? | 你读过我的小说吗? |
[49:50] | I have it, but I am embarrassed to say I haven’t read it yet. | 我有你的小说 但是确实没读过 |
[49:55] | You inspired one of the characters. | 有一个角色是为你写的 |
[49:57] | Oh? | 是吗? |
[50:00] | – I hope you weren’t too rough on me. – No. I wrote of you with great love. | – 希望你不会对我太苛刻 – 没有 我是带着爱去写的 |
[50:07] | Your wife is lovely. | 你妻子很可爱 |
[50:09] | Yes. I met her right after you said goodbye to me. | 你跟我说分手以后我就找了她 |
[50:12] | Her name’s Jennifer. She’s also quite a good writer. | 她叫詹妮佛 也是个很棒的作家 |
[50:17] | – Do you have any children? – Yes. | – 你们有孩子吗? – 有 |
[50:20] | We have a daughter. | 有一个女儿 |
[50:22] | It’s been the greatest, most beautiful experience of my life. | 那是我一生中最美好 最幸福的一段时光 |
[50:36] | Do you ever think of me? | 你有没有想过我? |
[50:38] | Do you ever think of me? | 你想过我吗? |
[50:41] | Once in a while. | 偶尔会 |
[50:45] | I hope you’re happy with Ken. | 我希望你跟肯过得幸福 |
[50:48] | I ran into him on the street not too long ago. He must have told you. | 我几天前还在街上看到他了 他应该告诉你了 |
[50:53] | I think of you more than once in a while. | 我经常会想你 |
[50:56] | But without regret. Please, don’t tell me you have any regret. | 没有后悔吧 告诉我你没有后悔 |
[51:01] | Darling, come here for a moment. I want to show you a beautiful sunset. | 亲爱的 过来一下 看看多漂亮的日落 |
[51:06] | Which character in your novel did I inspire? | 你的小说里那个角色是为我写的 |
[51:09] | Hlenka. I gave you a beautiful name. Hlenka. | 海琳凯 我给你取了一个 很好听的名字 叫海琳凯 |
[51:13] | I described our times together. | 我描述了我们在一起的时光 |
[51:15] | You’ll recognise it. | 你能读出来 |
[51:18] | I have to go now. | 我得走了 |
[51:20] | My wife needs me. | 我妻子需要我 |
[51:30] | Marion, please, don’t cry. | 马里恩 不要哭 |
[51:33] | Although I am glad to hear our little scene is moving. | 我们这一幕还是很感人的 |
[51:36] | – I’d like to go home. – And you will. | – 我想回家 – 好吧 |
[51:40] | I just thought you might like to see our second act finale. | 我还以为你会看完 我们的最后一场呢 |
[51:44] | Your first husband’s suicide scene. | 是你第一任丈夫自杀的场景 |
[51:47] | It’s touching. | 很感人 |
[51:50] | Sam was not a suicide. | 山姆不是自杀的 |
[51:52] | How do you know? It was 15 years after you divorced. | 你怎么知道 那是你们离婚15年以后 |
[51:57] | He died in his sleep from mixing pills and alcohol. | 他是睡觉的时候死去的 喝酒太多又吃了药 |
[52:02] | I was at his funeral. | 我参加他的葬礼了 |
[52:04] | Well, you know, that’s always a grey area. | 你知道 那是很难说明白的 |
[52:07] | Alone in a hotel room, | 自己一个人呆在旅馆房间里 |
[52:09] | depressed… | 心情忧郁 |
[52:11] | Sam was a wonderful man. | 山姆是个好人 |
[52:15] | We had such lovely times together. | 我们在一起度过了很好的时光 |
[52:19] | You taught me so much. | 你教给我很多 |
[52:22] | You were a wonderful pupil. Certainly the most interesting one in my class. | 你是个聪明的学生 是我们班上最有趣的 |
[52:27] | Still, the age difference… | 虽然年龄差很多… |
[52:30] | I shouldn’t have seduced you. Intellectually, that is. | 从理智上讲 我不应该引诱你 |
[52:33] | I should have resisted that temptation. | 我应该能抵制得住诱惑 |
[52:36] | I shouldn’t have made you adore me, but you were such a dazzling pupil, | 我不应该让你崇拜我 但是你确实是个不可多得的学生 |
[52:40] | the temptation was too great. | 诱惑对我来说太大了 |
[52:43] | And so I paid the price. | 我为此付出了代价 |
[52:46] | We both paid the price. | 我们都付出了代价 |
[52:48] | Inevitably there comes a time when the pupil absorbs all that he or she can. | 当然也有那么一段时间 学生尽情学到了她能学到的所有知识 |
[52:54] | And what seemed like constant joyous imparting of knowledge and opinions | 让传授知识和经验的过程 也变得那么美妙 |
[52:58] | becomes suffocation. | 美妙得让人窒息 |
[53:01] | Ironically, that’s what they wrote on my death certificate. | 讽刺的是 他们在我的死亡 证明上也写上了 |
[53:04] | “Suffocation.” | “窒息而死” |
[53:07] | Oh, Sam. | 哦山姆 |
[53:09] | Wait, there’s another important scene between you and Sam. | 等等 你和山姆还有很重要的一幕 |
[53:13] | No. | 没有 |
[53:15] | No more. | 没有了 |
[53:21] | That night we had what was supposed to be a charming dinner | 那天晚上 我们参加了一个本来应改很不错的晚宴 |
[53:24] | with Tom and Eleanor Banks. Doctor Banks. | 有汤姆 埃莉诺·班克斯 班克斯是个博士 |
[53:27] | Everyone was full of energy, and I must have seemed drab in contrast. | 大家都兴致很高 一定只有我看起来没精打采 |
[53:33] | Not only was I tired but the dream had put me in a foul mood. | 不仅因为疲倦 那个梦也让我感到情绪不佳 |
[53:44] | Tom and Eleanor are funny. | 汤姆和埃莉诺真有意思 |
[53:46] | All that carrying-on about ESP and parapsychology. | 什么超感觉知觉还有超心理学 |
[53:49] | You’d think they’d be more sensible. | 他们应该更明智一点才对 |
[53:52] | And then when you put it down so unequivocally, I thought they’d die. | 你竟然不留情面的表示反对 简直太不仅人情 |
[53:56] | You were a little cruel, however correct. | 虽然没有错 你还是有点太残忍了 |
[53:59] | I was so tired, I was in a stinking mood. And who knows? Maybe they’re right. | 我很累 心情很差 谁知道呢 也许他们是对的 |
[54:03] | Maybe there is more to life than meets the eye. What the hell do I know? | 也许生活中就是有许多肉眼看不到的东西 我怎么会知道 |
[54:07] | Their beliefs are one step ahead of Ouija boards. And all that talk about Greece! | 他们的想法比巫师们还要怪异 还讲什么希腊 |
[54:12] | You’d think no one had sailed round the Greek islands before. | 好像没有人去过希腊似的 |
[54:16] | If we’re so contemptuous of Tom and Eleanor, why do we go out with them? | 既然你这么讨厌汤姆和埃莉诺 为什么还要跟他们吃饭 |
[54:19] | It’s just when they get on to certain topics. Next week it’ll be flying saucers. | 只是他们讨论的有些话题让我讨厌 下个周应该是谈到飞碟了 |
[54:24] | Why do we have to see people every night anyway? We never spend any time alone. | 我们为什么每天晚上都要见朋友 我们多长时间没有单独在一起了 |
[54:30] | – Well, that’s not so. – Yes, it is so. Every night it’s friends. | – 没有多长时间 – 是很长时间了 每天晚上都要见朋友 |
[54:33] | Yours, mine, people we hardly know. | 不是你的就是我的 虽然都不了解 |
[54:36] | We’ve known Tom and Eleanor for years. | 我们认识汤姆和埃莉诺好几年了 |
[54:38] | – And you don’t even enjoy him. – Of course I do. | – 反正你也不喜欢他 – 当然喜欢他 |
[54:41] | You’ve spoken contemptuously many times because he’s a radiologist, | 你说过多少次你看不起他 这个放射线学者 |
[54:45] | – which you don’t take seriously. – I’m joking. | – 你不会是当真了吧 – 我在开玩笑 |
[54:47] | No, you’re not. You disguise it as joking, but you’re serious. | 不 你不是开玩笑 你在假装开玩笑 其实你很严肃 |
[54:51] | – You’re trying to provoke an argument. – Why are we afraid to be alone together? | – 你是想吵架 – 我们为什么会害怕单独在一起? |
[54:56] | – I didn’t think we were. – Because we’ve nothing to say any more? | – 我没有觉得我们害怕了 – 因为我们没有什么共同语言了吗? |
[54:59] | We talk. | 我们经常聊天 |
[55:00] | Why go out with Mark and Lydia on our anniversary anyway? | 为什么结婚纪念日要跟 马克和莉迪亚一起出去? |
[55:03] | If that’s all that’s bothering you, we won’t go. | 如果这让你很不安 我们就不去了 |
[55:06] | But neither should we drive all the way to the hotel where we had our first tryst. | 但是也绝不能去我们第一次约会的地方 |
[55:11] | Don’t do that. Don’t make something romantic sound infantile. | 不要这样 不要让浪漫的事情成为幼稚可笑的事 |
[55:15] | OK, but it’s the same level of maturity as sex on the floor. | 好吧 这种成熟跟在地板上做爱没什么区别 |
[55:18] | We might as well have it on the floor. We don’t have it in bed. | 我们就要在地板上做爱 不要在床上来 |
[55:21] | – I don’t believe we’re discussing this. – Why’ve you stopped sleeping with me? | – 我们怎么会讨论这种问题? – 为什么你不在跟我一起睡了? |
[55:25] | We are simply going through a less active period, that’s all. It’s not uncommon. | 我们只不过都有点疲惫 就这样 并没有什么不正常的 |
[55:30] | Why? I just wanna know why. | 为什么?我想知道为什么? |
[55:33] | Why don’t we just go to bed? | 我们还是睡觉吧? |
[55:35] | There was a time that we were dying to be together. | 曾经一段时间我们整天呆着一起 |
[55:40] | Marion, you’re still the most desirable woman I know. | 马里恩 你一直都是我最中意的女人 |
[55:44] | But we won’t make love tonight because there’ll be some excuse. | 但是我们今天晚上不会做爱 因为有借口了 对吧 |
[55:51] | I hadn’t realised how much of that had slipped away until today. | 直到今天我才意识到我们失去了多少 |
[55:56] | I’m really sorry. If I’ve done anything wrong, forgive me. | 对不起 不管我做错了什么 原谅我 |
[56:02] | I accept your condemnation. | 我接受你的指责 (D大调大提琴组曲6) |
[56:18] | You were a wonderful pupil. | 你是个聪明的学生 |
[56:20] | Certainly the most interesting one in my class. Still, the age difference… | 是我们班上最有趣的 虽然我们年龄差很多 |
[56:31] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[56:33] | I love you too. | 我也爱你 |
[56:39] | – Happy birthday. – I told you not to bother. | – 生日快乐 – 我告诉过你不用麻烦的 |
[56:41] | Oh, I wanted to. Open it. | 哦 我想这样 打开看看 |
[56:48] | While you were out I read your paper. It was quite brilliantly written. | 你出去的时候我读了你的文章 写得很棒 |
[56:52] | It’s your work that’s brilliant. And more important, it’s original. | 你的文章写得才好 而且很新颖 |
[56:58] | – What is it? From a play or something? – Yes. | – 这是什么 是玩游戏用的? – 是 |
[57:01] | It’s an original from a French production of La Gioconda. | 对 是一家法国乔宫达的原版作品 |
[57:05] | – I love it. – I thought you’d like it. | – 我很喜欢 – 我知道你会喜欢的 |
[57:08] | It was all I could afford from that great store. | 那个店里我只能买得起这个了 (毕尔巴鄂之歌) |
[57:34] | The following morning I realised I’d forgotten to get Ken an anniversary gift. | 第二天早上我才想起来没有给 肯买结婚纪念日礼物 |
[57:39] | I thought it would be a simple thing, but it took surprisingly long. | 我以为会很简单 实际上却花费了很长时间 |
[57:43] | The truth was I couldn’t really think of what he might like. | 其实是我实在不知道他会喜欢什么 |
[57:47] | After window-shopping for an hour or so, I came across an old antiques store. | 来回转了一个多小时以后 我找到一家古董店 |
[57:51] | At first I didn’t think there’d be anything special for him there, | 一开始我没有想到在那儿能 找到什么合适的东西 |
[57:55] | but somehow I was drawn to look further. | 但却被吸引一直看下去 |
[57:57] | The place was empty and dusty, and in the back a radio was playing. | 那个地方空荡荡的 很脏 后面一个收音机在放音乐 |
[58:03] | It was full of odd pieces, and I found browsing in it quite fascinating. | 里面有很多稀奇古怪的东西 我发现在里面寻宝很有意思 |
[58:39] | Excuse me. Are you all right? | 怎么了 你没事吧? |
[58:44] | Thank you. I’m OK. | 谢谢你 我没事 |
[58:51] | Can I help you? | 我能帮上忙吗 |
[58:55] | I’m sorry. I don’t know why I’m so emotional. I was… | 对不起 我也不知道怎么会 这么敏感 我只是… |
[59:00] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[59:02] | Thank you. I was… I was just looking at that picture there, and I… | 谢谢 我只是…我只是看了 那张照片 然后就… |
[59:07] | And I just felt so sad. | 就感到很难过 |
[59:09] | Oh, but this is a very optimistic work. | 哦 可是这是一幅很乐观的作品 |
[59:12] | You know, I saw the original of this once. In fact, its title is Hope. | 我见过这幅画的原作 画的名字叫希望 |
[59:18] | I think, of all the paintings Klimt did in that period, this is the most positive. | 我觉得克林普特那时候的作品中 这一幅是最乐观的 |
[59:23] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[59:28] | Are you an artist? | 你是个画家? |
[59:30] | Yes. Well, I used to do some painting when I was younger. | 对 我小的时候画过一些 |
[59:33] | I was absolutely in love with this whole school. | 特别喜欢这一派 |
[59:39] | It’s funny. Just this morning I was thinking about… that I missed painting. | 很好玩 只不过是今天早上 我忽然觉得…我很想念绘画 |
[59:43] | – I’d like to get back into it. – Really? | – 我还想继续学 – 真的吗? |
[59:50] | I guess we all imagine what might have been. | 我想我们总是怀念没有实现的愿望 |
[59:54] | But that was a long time ago. | 那已经是很久以前了 |
[59:58] | Well, anyway… | 不管怎么样… |
[1:00:03] | – Are you feeling better now? – Yes, I just wanna get some air. | – 你感觉好点了? – 是 我要呼吸点新鲜空气 |
[1:00:06] | – What kind of paintings did you do? – Watercolours, mostly. | – 你画什么画? – 大多是水彩 |
[1:00:13] | We left the store and walked together. | 我们离开那家店 一起走了走 |
[1:00:15] | I wanted to know her better without seeming pushy. | 我想多了解她一点 但又不显得很急切 |
[1:00:18] | We talked about art, and the discussion seemed to cheer her a little. | 我们讨论了绘画 她慢慢心情好起来了 |
[1:00:23] | We stopped at a gallery and spent time marvelling at the pictures, | 我们在一家画廊停下来 看了看那些作品 |
[1:00:26] | and I took a chance and invited her to lunch. I was excited when she accepted. | 我找机会邀请她共进午餐 她接受了 这让我很兴奋 |
[1:00:31] | She suggested a little out-of-the-way place that was charming and private. | 她说有一个很偏僻的地方 环境很好 又很隐秘 |
[1:00:35] | We ordered a bottle of wine, although she hardly touched it, being pregnant. | 我们要了一瓶酒 她没有喝多少 说是怀孕了 |
[1:00:40] | The result was that I wound up drinking most of it, | 结果大部分都是我喝的 |
[1:00:42] | and while I really wanted to find out about her it was me who did most of the talking. | 虽然是我想了解她 但实际上是我说的做多 |
[1:00:48] | 50. | 五十 |
[1:00:51] | I didn’t think anything of turning 30. | 30岁的时候我什么也没想 |
[1:00:58] | Everybody said I would. | 他们都不相信 |
[1:01:01] | Then they said I’d be crushed turning 40. | 他们说我到40岁就会垮掉的 |
[1:01:05] | But they were wrong. I didn’t give it a second’s thought. | 但他们又错了 我从来没有这样过 |
[1:01:11] | Then they said that I’d be traumatised when I hit 50. | 他们又说我到了50岁一定会伤痕累累 |
[1:01:17] | And they were right. | 这完全正确 |
[1:01:21] | I’ll tell you the truth. | 跟你说实话 |
[1:01:25] | I don’t think I’ve ever recovered my balance since turning 50. | 从50岁开始我再也没有找到平衡 |
[1:01:28] | Aw, gee, 50’s not so old. | 可是50岁并不算老 |
[1:01:32] | No, I know it isn’t, but… | 我知道 但是… |
[1:01:36] | you just suddenly look up and see where you are. | 你忽然间抬起头 明白了自己在哪里 |
[1:01:39] | You’re in a good spot, aren’t you? | 你生活在很好的地方 不是吗? |
[1:01:44] | Well, I thought I was. | 我以为我是 |
[1:01:48] | And then there’s chances gone by you can’t have back again. | 但是许多机会溜过去 你再也抓不住了 |
[1:01:52] | Well, like what? | 比如说… |
[1:01:55] | I don’t know. | 我也不知道 |
[1:02:01] | Maybe it would be nice to have a child. | 可能有个孩子会好一点 |
[1:02:08] | You really think that? | 你真的这么想? |
[1:02:15] | I do. | 是 |
[1:02:18] | I’ve never said it before, but I do. | 从来没有这么说过 但是我是这么想的 |
[1:02:23] | How arrogant! How self-centred and feelingless! | 太傲慢了 自我中心 没有感情! |
[1:02:27] | I told you I didn’t want a baby! | 我跟你说过我不想要孩子 |
[1:02:29] | What do you mean, “didn’t want a baby”? | 这是什么意思“不想要孩子”? |
[1:02:31] | – It was partly mine! – Except it’s my life that gets derailed. | – 有一部分是我的! – 但是只有我的生活会突然停止 |
[1:02:35] | – I’m just destroyed! – You go on doing what you want, | – 我就这样被毁了 – 你能继续干你想干的 |
[1:02:38] | – and I have to stop and bring it up. – But we’d share the responsibility. | – 我的生活却要停下来 去抚养孩子 – 我们可以一起承担起责任 |
[1:02:42] | – You know it would devolve down to me. – I wanted this baby! | – 最后全都是我的责任 – 我想要这个孩子! |
[1:02:45] | – I told you, it was not part of my plan. – But you did it without consulting me. | – 我说过 这不是我计划的一部分 – 但是不跟我商量你就这么做了 |
[1:02:49] | Consulting you?! It’s my baby! | 跟你商量?那是我的孩子 |
[1:02:51] | Do I have to consult you for every move I make? It’s only your ego that’s hurt. | 我做什么都要跟你商量吗? 你也太自我了 |
[1:02:55] | – You said you wanted children. – I do, but not now. | – 你说过你想要孩子 – 没错 但不是现在 |
[1:02:58] | I don’t have the future stretched out in front of me indefinitely. | 我的未来并不是无穷无尽的 |
[1:03:01] | It’s easy for you to say. You’ve done your work. I’m just starting out, | 你说起来容易 你已经有了自己的事业 我只是刚刚开始 |
[1:03:06] | trying to make something of myself! It’s not fair to the child. | 我希望自己可以做点什么 这样对孩子不公平 |
[1:03:09] | But you could do it without asking me! Or giving me a chance to argue you out of it! | 但是你也应该问问我 给我一个说服你的机会 |
[1:03:13] | I didn’t want to be argued out of it. We’ve talked this to death! It-It was unwanted! | 我不想被说服 这个没有什么好说的了 我不想要这个孩子 |
[1:03:18] | Do you want to bring a child into this worid? Really? | 你想让一个孩子来到世界上吗 真的吗 |
[1:03:22] | You’re the one that hates it so much, | 你不是讨厌这个吗? |
[1:03:25] | forever lecturing me on the pointlessness of existence. | 不是总是给我讲存在的虚无吗? |
[1:03:28] | – I hate you so! – Let me go! Stop it! | – 我恨你! – 放开我!住手! |
[1:03:31] | I can’t stand this any more! Let me go! | 我不能忍受了!放开我! |
[1:03:34] | To be capable of such a lack of feeling! | 你竟然能如此无情! |
[1:03:37] | Knowing how I felt! | 你知道我的感受吗? |
[1:03:39] | Caring only about how you felt! | 你只关心自己的感受 |
[1:03:41] | Your career. Your life of the mind. | 你的事业 你的想法 |
[1:04:30] | I feel… I feel a little depressed. | 我很难过 |
[1:04:35] | I met a really sad woman today. | 今天碰到一个很悲伤的女人 |
[1:04:39] | A woman you’d think would have everything, | 那个女人 你会觉得她拥有一切 |
[1:04:41] | and she doesn’t. She has nothing. | 但并不是那样 她一无所有 |
[1:04:45] | And it made me feel frightened. | 这让我很害怕 |
[1:04:48] | Because I feel… | 因为我觉得… |
[1:04:50] | I feel if I don’t stop myself, | 如果我不能阻止自己 |
[1:04:53] | as the years go by, I’m gonna wind up that way. | 总有一天我也会变成那样 |
[1:04:59] | She can’t allow herself to feel. | 她不允许自己有感情 |
[1:05:02] | So the result is she’s led this… | 最后的结果是她过着一种… |
[1:05:06] | cold cerebral life, and… and has alienated everyone around her. | 冷清的精神生活 跟周围的所有人都疏远了 |
[1:05:13] | Well, you know, we’ve talked about this before, | 我们以前谈过这个 |
[1:05:16] | how I… how I only… only hear and see what I want to. | 我就是…就是这种 只看到和听到我想要的东西 |
[1:05:20] | That’s exactly what she does. She… | 她就是这样的人 她… |
[1:05:23] | She’s pretended for so long that everything’s fine, | 这么长时间以来她一直假装一切很好 |
[1:05:27] | but you can see clearly how… how lost she is. | 但是你能看出来…看出来她很失落 |
[1:05:33] | She had an abortion years ago, which she regrets. | 几年以前她堕过一次胎 现在她后悔了 |
[1:05:37] | She rationalises it in many ways, | 她用各种借口来宽慰自己 |
[1:05:39] | but I think the truth is she was afraid of the feelings she would have for a baby. | 但是我知道她害怕生孩子 会给自己带来的感情 |
[1:05:46] | And she’s a very bright woman, very accomplished. | 她是个聪明的女人 很有成就 |
[1:05:49] | But like me, she… Well, you know emotions have always embarrassed me. | 但跟我一样 她…你知道 感情一直会让我很不安 |
[1:05:56] | I’ve run away from men who I felt threatened me | 我离开了让我觉得害怕的男人 |
[1:05:59] | because the intensity of their passion just frightens me. | 因为他们强烈的感情让我害怕 |
[1:06:05] | I guess you can’t keep deep feelings closed out for ever, you know, so… | 我想人的感情是不能 掩盖的 你知道… |
[1:06:10] | I just don’t want to look up when I’m her age and find my life is empty. | 我不想像她那样某一天忽然抬起头来 发现生活里什么都没有 (毕尔巴鄂之歌) |
[1:06:25] | Anyhow, | 不管怎么样 |
[1:06:27] | while we were at lunch, a very upsetting thing happened. | 我们吃饭的时候 发生了一件很难堪的事 |
[1:06:32] | In the midst of a conversation, she noticed her friend Lydia. | 我们聊着聊着 她看到了自己的朋友莉迪亚 |
[1:07:20] | Marion? | 马里恩? |
[1:07:23] | You’re late. | 你迟到了 |
[1:07:25] | I got you an anniversary present. | 我给你买了一件结婚纪念日礼物 |
[1:07:28] | I know it’s tomorrow, but why don’t you open it now? | 虽然是明天 但是现在就打开怎么样? |
[1:07:37] | I didn’t know what to get you. | 我不知道给你买什么 |
[1:07:45] | As I said, I always like an opera. | 我跟你说过 我喜欢歌剧 |
[1:07:53] | Happy anniversary. | 纪念日快乐 |
[1:07:56] | Come on, let’s get dressed. | 快点 换衣服 |
[1:08:01] | I’m not going anywhere. | 我哪儿也不去 |
[1:08:04] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么? |
[1:08:09] | I saw you and Lydia in the restaurant today. You didn’t notice me, but… | 今天我在一家餐厅看到你和莉迪亚 在一起了 你没有看到我 但是… |
[1:08:15] | I watched the two of you. | 我看到你们俩了 |
[1:08:19] | Afterwards I went walking for a few hours to calm myself down. | 然后我出去走了几个小时 让自己镇定下来 |
[1:08:27] | Actually, if I’d had any perception, | 事实上 如果我稍有点感知力的话 |
[1:08:31] | I would have been suspicious from the start. | 一开始就应该怀疑了 |
[1:08:34] | Because you and I committed adultery for months when you were married to Kathy. | 你还和凯西在一起的时候 就跟我秘密交往几个月 |
[1:08:41] | That was a very different situation. | 情况不一样 |
[1:08:45] | I don’t think it was. | 我不觉得有什么不同 |
[1:08:52] | I guess it wouldn’t mean much if I said to you that, um, it’s passing. | 我知道跟你说我们 没什么有什么意义 |
[1:09:00] | It was never very serious. | 但是我们不是认真的 |
[1:09:03] | And it was, uh, utterly foolish of Lydia and myself. | 我们 我和莉迪亚只是一时糊涂 |
[1:09:09] | I feel sorry for you, Ken, because in your way you’ve been as Ionely as I have. | 我为你感到抱歉 肯 因为你一直跟我一样很孤单 |
[1:09:18] | Have we been Ionely? | 我们孤单吗? |
[1:09:23] | At least I’ve come to recognise it. | 我慢慢意识到这一点了 |
[1:09:31] | The following days, I didn’t get any work done. | 接下来一天 我什么也没有做 |
[1:09:34] | Mostly I walked the streets and just thought about my life, | 大部分时间我都在街上走 想想我的人生 |
[1:09:38] | trying to put everything in order. | 想理清自己的思绪 |
[1:09:40] | I felt the need to talk to my brother Paul, | 我觉得该跟我弟弟保罗聊聊 |
[1:09:43] | who had made an important decision about his life too. | 他的人生也作过很大的决定 |
[1:09:47] | Strange. Lynn and I go through hell and we’re staying together, | 很奇怪 我和林恩经历了这么多还在一起 |
[1:09:51] | you and Ken never fight and you’re breaking up. | 你们俩从来没有吵过架却要分手 |
[1:09:56] | – So will you move out? Or will he? – Oh, no, I will. | – 你们俩谁会搬出来? – 我会搬出来 |
[1:10:00] | I really do want a clean start. | 我希望干干净净的重新开始 |
[1:10:03] | I wanna do a lot of things differently. | 我想做点不同的事情 |
[1:10:07] | And that does mean between us, too. | 当然也包括我们之间 |
[1:10:11] | I’d like to spend a lot more time with you and Lynn. | 我想多花些时间跟你和林恩在一起 |
[1:10:15] | I’d like to get to know everyone. | 我想多认识一些人 |
[1:10:19] | If that’s OK with you. | 如果你不介意的话 |
[1:10:37] | So was it Dad’s fault? Did he do anything wrong? | 这是爸爸的错吗? 他做错什么了吗? |
[1:10:40] | Oh, we both did, you know? | 哦 我们都错了 就是这样? |
[1:10:42] | I mean, I’m just as much to blame as anybody. | 我是说 我跟大家一样 该承受这些 |
[1:10:46] | – Maybe more. – Well, it’s too bad, you know. | – 或许要承受更多 – 太糟了 真的 |
[1:10:50] | I just wanted to make sure that the shock of it didn’t upset you too badly. | 我只是希望你不会受到什么影响 |
[1:10:55] | Well, I… to tell you the truth, I’m really… | 嗯…说实话 我真的… |
[1:10:58] | I’m not shocked, I’m just surprised, you know? I mean… | 没有什么 只是觉得奇怪 我是说… |
[1:11:03] | If I can be honest, I always felt there was something between you two that was… | 老实说 我总是觉得你们俩之间 有点什么不太对劲 |
[1:11:08] | I don’t know. Maybe too comfortable, or… that’s not the right word. I don’t… | 我不知道怎么回事 可能是太舒适 或者是… 不是这个词 我也不知道… |
[1:11:14] | Just something, you know? | 就是有点什么 就是这样 |
[1:11:18] | Well, I hope that this isn’t going to have any bearing on us. | 不管怎么样 希望这不会 影响到我们的关系 |
[1:11:22] | I really value your friendship. | 我很珍惜你的友情 |
[1:11:24] | Yeah, and I value yours. | 谢谢 我也珍惜你的 |
[1:11:37] | – Yes? – Hello. I’m your next-door neighbour, | – 是吗? – 你好 我是你的邻居 |
[1:11:40] | and I thought you should know that through some acoustical oddness | 我想应该告诉你 由于某些原因 |
[1:11:44] | – I can hear all your patients quite clearly. – Really? | 我能很清楚的听到你和病人的谈话 真的吗? |
[1:11:48] | Well, thank you. I’ll take care of it. I’ve had the problem before. I know what to do. | 好的 谢谢你 我会想办法的 以前也有这样的事 我知道怎么办 |
[1:11:53] | By the way, you have a young woman that you see. The pregnant one? | 对了 你有个病人是个年轻女人吧 怀孕的那个? |
[1:11:58] | I wonder if you could tell me how I could get in touch with her. | 你能否告诉我的联系方式呢 |
[1:12:01] | Oh, yes. She’s terminated her treatment. | 哦 她已经结束治疗了 |
[1:12:06] | She’s gone away. I don’t have any way of reaching her. I’m afraid I can’t say more. | 她已经走了 我不知道怎么跟她联系 恐怕不行 |
[1:12:14] | I resumed work. It went well, | 我继续工作 进展很顺利 |
[1:12:17] | and I was undisturbed by extraneous distractions. | 没有什么能够分散我的注意力 |
[1:12:20] | The writing seemed to flow and I was full of energy. | 我的思路很顺畅 我也充满了力量 |
[1:12:23] | Once on a sunny morning I paused for a break | 一个星期天早上 我停下休息 |
[1:12:26] | and I thought I would look through Larry Lewis’s novel, which I’d never read. | 我想我该看看拉里·刘易斯的小说 以前从没看过 |
[1:12:31] | I was curious about the character Hlenka, which was rumoured to be based on me. | 我对那个叫海琳凯的角色很好奇 因为据说写的是我 |
[1:12:36] | I opened the book, leafed through, | 我打开书 随便翻看着 |
[1:12:39] | and sat down as my eye was caught by her name. | 坐下来的时候我看到了那个名字 |
[1:12:50] | “Hlenka and I accidentally ran into one another one day | 海琳凯和我是偶尔遇到的 |
[1:12:53] | while we were both buying tickets to a concert. “ | 那时候我们都在买音乐会的票 |
[1:12:56] | “I knew her because she was the lover of a man I knew quite well. “ | “我认识她 因为她是我的一个熟人的情人” |
[1:13:01] | “Recently they had decided to marry. This was a catastrophe for me personally, | 最近他们刚刚决定要结婚 这对我个人来说简直无法忍受 |
[1:13:06] | because from the moment he introduced me to her, I was in love with her. “ | 因为从朋友给我介绍她我就爱上了她 |
[1:13:12] | “I convinced her to have a drink with me.” | “我说服她跟我一起喝一杯 ” |
[1:13:15] | “It was the only time I’d ever been alone with her since we met. “ | “那是我们认识以后 第一次单独在一起 ” |
[1:13:19] | “She was lovely, and I spoke too much and too rapidly | 她很可爱 我说话又多又快 |
[1:13:23] | because I was embarrassed over my feelings toward her, | 以为我对她的喜爱让我很不安 |
[1:13:26] | which I felt were painfully obvious. “ | 我觉得自己表现得很明显 心里很不安 |
[1:13:31] | “We walked around in Central Park and talked about lots of things. “ | 我们在中央公园散了会儿步 谈了很多 |
[1:13:35] | “I told her about a book I was planning to write, and my wanting to live out west. “ | 我告诉她我正要写一本书 想到西部生活 |
[1:13:40] | “She spoke enthusiastically about her upcoming marriage, | 她很兴奋的跟我讲她要结婚了 |
[1:13:43] | but I thought it was too enthusiastic, | 我觉得她有点太过于兴奋 |
[1:13:46] | as if she were trying to convince herself rather than me. “ | 好像她要说服的是自己 而不是我 |
[1:13:51] | “Soon it began to rain.” | 不久就开始下雨了 |
[1:13:54] | “We ducked into an underpass to avoid the cloudburst. “ | 我们跑进一个地下道躲雨 |
[1:13:58] | “I remember thinking how wonderful she was, | 那时候我在想她真是个迷人的女人 |
[1:14:01] | and how beautiful she looked at that moment. “ | 那一刻她有多么漂亮 |
[1:14:04] | “And I wanted to tell her so many things because my feelings were swirling so. “ | 我想把我的想法都告诉她 因为我的感情很难控制 |
[1:14:10] | “And I think she knew everything, and that frightened her. “ | 我觉得她知道一切 这让她害怕 |
[1:14:14] | “And yet some instinct told me that if I kissed her she would respond. “ | 但是本能告诉我 如果我问了她 她会回应我 |
[1:14:22] | “Her kiss was full of desire, | 她的吻充满激情 |
[1:14:25] | and I knew I couldn’t share that feeling with anyone else. “ | 我知道这种感觉我再也不会找到 |
[1:14:33] | “And then a wall went up, and just as quickly I was screened out. “ | “然后她忽然停下来 我就这样被推开了” |
[1:14:37] | “But it was too late, because I now knew that she was capable of intense passion | 但是一切都晚了 我现在明白如果有一天 |
[1:14:42] | if she would one day just allow herself to feel. “ | 她能释放自己的感情 她会是个热情洋溢的人 |
[1:14:48] | I closed the book, and felt a strange mixture of wistfulness and hope. | 我合上书 心里充满一种渴望和希冀 |
[1:14:55] | And I wondered if a memory is something you have or something you’ve lost. | 不知道记忆应该是你拥有的东西 还是你失去的东西 |
[1:15:00] | For the first time in a long time, I felt at peace. | 很长时间以来 我第一次感到一种内心的安宁 |