英文名称:The Social Dilemma
年代:2020
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:19] | (“进入凡人生活的一切强大之物 无不具有弊端”) | |
[00:24] | (——索福克勒斯) | |
[00:31] | Why don’t you go ahead? Sit down and see if you can get comfy. | 好 你直接开始吧? 好 坐下 能否舒适地坐着 |
[00:37] | You good? All right. Yeah. | 还好吗? 好了 是 |
[00:43] | Take one, marker. | 第一镜 打板 |
[00:46] | Wanna start by introducing yourself? | 要我先从自我介绍开始吗? |
[00:50] | Hello, world. Bailey. Take three. | 世界你好 贝利 第三镜 |
[00:53] | You good? This is the worst part, man. | 可以了吗? 这是我最讨厌的部分 兄弟 |
[00:56] | I don’t like this. | 我不喜欢这样 |
[00:59] | I worked at Facebook in 2011 and 2012. | 我2011年到2012年间在脸书工作 |
[01:02] | I was one of the really early employees at Instagram. | 我是Instagram非常早期的员工 |
[01:05] | I worked at, uh, Google, uh, YouTube. | 我曾任职于谷歌、YouTube |
[01:08] | Apple, Google, Twitter, Palm. | 苹果、谷歌、推特、Palm |
[01:12] | I helped start Mozilla Labs and switched over to the Firefox side. | 我帮助创始了Mozilla Labs 后来更多工作于火狐这边 |
[01:15] | Are we rolling? Everybody? | 在拍吗?大家… |
[01:18] | Great. | 很好 |
[01:21] | I worked at Twitter. | 我曾在推特工作 |
[01:23] | My last job there | 我在推特的 |
[01:24] | was the senior vice president of engineering. | 最后一份岗位 是高级副总工程师 |
[01:27] | I was the president of Pinterest. | 我曾是Pinterest的总经理 |
[01:29] | Before that, um, I was the… the director of monetization | 在那之前 我在脸书做了五年的 |
[01:32] | at Facebook for five years. | 盈利总监 |
[01:34] | While at Twitter, I spent a number of years running their developer platform, | 在推特期间 我用了几年时间 运营他们的开发者平台 |
[01:38] | and then I became head of consumer product. | 然后我做了消费者产品部长 |
[01:40] | I was the coinventor of Google Drive, Gmail Chat, | 我曾合作发明 谷歌硬盘、谷歌邮箱聊天 |
[01:44] | Facebook Pages, and the Facebook like button. | 脸书网页和脸书“赞”按钮 |
[01:47] | Yeah. This is… This is why I spent, like, eight months | 对 所以我才花了八个月的时间 |
[01:50] | talking back and forth with lawyers. | 和律师反复周旋 |
[01:54] | This freaks me out. | 真的让我很崩溃 |
[01:58] | When I was there, | 我在那里任职的时候 |
[01:59] | I always felt like, fundamentally, it was a force for good. | 一直觉得 总体上 这是积极的力量 |
[02:03] | I don’t know if I feel that way anymore. | 我现在不确定 自己是否还这样想了 |
[02:05] | I left Google in June 2017, uh, due to ethical concerns. | 出于对道德伦理的担心 我于2017年6月离开谷歌 |
[02:10] | And… And not just at Google but within the industry at large. | 不仅是担心谷歌的道德伦理 而是对整个产业 |
[02:14] | I’m very concerned. | 我很担心 |
[02:16] | I’m very concerned. | 非常担心 |
[02:19] | It’s easy today to lose sight of the fact | 如今 人们很容易忽略一个事实 |
[02:21] | that these tools actually have created some wonderful things in the world. | 这些工具 其实为世界创造了一些美好的东西 |
[02:27] | They’ve reunited lost family members. They’ve found organ donors. | 它们让失去联系的家人重聚 找器官捐赠者 |
[02:32] | I mean, there were meaningful, systemic changes happening | 它们为整个世界带来了 |
[02:36] | around the world because of these platforms | 有意义的、系统的变革 |
[02:39] | that were positive! | 这是这些平台积极的一面 |
[02:40] | I think we were naive about the flip side of that coin. | 我认为我们对它的消极一面 过度看轻了 |
[02:45] | Yeah, these things, you release them, and they take on a life of their own. | 对 这些东西 只要你发布 它们自己就会存活 |
[02:48] | And how they’re used is pretty different than how you expected. | 它们被使用的方式 与你当初的预期大相径庭 |
[02:52] | Nobody, I deeply believe, ever intended any of these consequences. | 我深信 这些负面的后果 不是任何人刻意为之 |
[02:56] | There’s no one bad guy. No. Absolutely not. | 没有任何一个坏人 没有 绝对没有 |
[03:01] | So, then, what’s the… what’s the problem? | 那么问题在哪里? |
[03:09] | Is there a problem, and what is the problem? | 是否有问题?问题在哪里? |
[03:17] | Yeah, it is hard to give a single, succinct… | 是 很难给出一个单一的、简明的… |
[03:20] | I’m trying to touch on many different problems. | 我在试着谈论很多不同的问题 |
[03:22] | What is the problem? | 问题在哪里? |
[03:28] | NETFLIX 原创纪录片 | |
[03:33] | Despite facing mounting criticism, | 虽然面对越来越多的质疑 |
[03:35] | the so called Big Tech names are getting bigger. | 这些所谓的大型技术公司却越发壮大 |
[03:37] | The entire tech industry is under a new level of scrutiny. | 整个技术产业 正在面临全新维度的审查 |
[03:41] | And a new study sheds light on the link | 一项新的研究初步揭示了心理健康 |
[03:43] | between mental health and social media use. | 与社交媒体使用之间的联系 |
[03:46] | Here to talk about the latest research… | 来谈谈最新的研究… |
[03:48] | …is going on that gets no coverage at all. | …的情况 根本没有保险 |
[03:51] | Tens of millions of Americans are hopelessly addicted | 数千万美国人无望地 |
[03:54] | to their electronic devices. | 玩电子设备成瘾 |
[03:56] | It’s exacerbated by the fact | 因为技术 现在你真的能把自己 |
[03:58] | that you can literally isolate yourself now | 隔离在一个泡泡内 周围都是 |
[03:59] | (你的朋友在照片中圈出了你) | |
[04:00] | in a bubble, thanks to our technology. | 与你观点相似的人 瘾性就更加恶化了 |
[04:02] | Fake news is becoming more advanced | 虚假新闻变得更发达了 |
[04:04] | and threatening societies around the world. | 威胁着全世界的社会 |
[04:06] | We weren’t expecting any of this when we created Twitter over 12 years ago. | 我们12年多以前创造推特的时候 根本没有想到这些 |
[04:10] | White House officials say they have no reason to believe | 官方说 他们没有理由相信 |
[04:12] | the Russian cyberattacks will stop. | 俄罗斯网络攻击会停止 |
[04:14] | YouTube is being forced to concentrate on cleansing the site. | YouTube被迫专注于清理网站 |
[04:18] | TikTok, if you talk to any tween out there… | 如果你和十几岁的孩子去聊 |
[04:21] | …there’s no chance they’ll delete this thing… | 他们是绝对不可能删除抖音的… |
[04:24] | Hey, Isla, can you get the table ready, please? | 喂 艾拉 可以帮忙摆桌子吗? |
[04:26] | There’s a question about whether social media | 有一个严肃的问题 |
[04:28] | is making your child depressed. | 社交媒体是否让您的孩子抑郁 |
[04:30] | Isla, can you set the table, please? | 艾拉 可以帮忙摆桌子吗? |
[04:32] | These cosmetic procedures are becoming so popular with teens, | 整容在青少年中已经十分受欢迎 |
[04:35] | plastic surgeons have coined a new syndrome for it, | 整容医生甚至造出了一种新病征 |
[04:37] | “Snapchat dysmorphia,” with young patients wanting surgery | “图片分享畸形征” 指的是年轻的患者想做整容手术 |
[04:40] | so they can look more like they do in filtered selfies. | 让自己看上去 更接近加了滤镜的自拍中的样子 |
[04:43] | Still don’t see why you let her have that thing. | 我还是不明白 你为什么让她用那东西 |
[04:45] | What was I supposed to do? | 我能怎么办? |
[04:47] | I mean, every other kid in her class had one. | 我是说 她们班上的其他孩子全都有 |
[04:50] | She’s only 11. | 她才11岁 |
[04:51] | Cass, no one’s forcing you to get one. | 卡桑 没人强迫你用 |
[04:53] | You can stay disconnected as long as you want. | 你想和别人切断联系多久 都随你 |
[04:55] | Hey, I’m connected without a cell phone, okay? I’m on the Internet right now. | 喂 我没有手机也不会和别人 切断联系 好吗?我现在就在网上 |
[04:59] | Also, that isn’t even actual connection. It’s just a load of sh | 而且 这根本不是实际的联系 全都是没用的… |
[05:03] | Surveillance capitalism has come to shape | 监视资本主义 已经形成了我们的政治和文化 |
[05:05] | our politics and culture in ways many people don’t perceive. | 而很多人根本没有察觉 |
[05:07] | ISIS inspired followers online, | 伊斯兰国煽动网上的关注者 |
[05:10] | and now white supremacists are doing the same. | 现在 白人至上主义也在这样做 |
[05:12] | Recently in India, | 最近在印度 |
[05:14] | Internet lynch mobs have killed a dozen people, including these five… | 网络暴民害死了十几个人 包括这五个… |
[05:17] | It’s not just fake news; it’s fake news with consequences. | 虚假新闻不只是虚假新闻 是有后果的 |
[05:20] | How do you handle an epidemic in the age of fake news? | 在虚假新闻的时代 你要怎么解决传染病? |
[05:24] | Can you get the coronavirus by eating Chinese food? | 吃中餐会感染新冠病毒吗? |
[05:27] | We have gone from the information age into the disinformation age. | 我们已经从信息时代 过渡到了虚假信息时代 |
[05:32] | Our democracy is under assault. | 我们的民主受到了攻击 |
[05:34] | What I said was, “I think the tools | 我说的是:“我认为如今 |
[05:37] | that have been created today are starting | 创造出的工具正在开始 |
[05:39] | to erode the social fabric of how society works.” | 侵蚀社会正常运转的社交纽带” |
[06:00] | Aza does welcoming remarks. We play the video. | 阿莎愿意接受评论 我们播放视频 |
[06:04] | And then, “Ladies and gentlemen, Tristan Harris.” | 然后说 “女士们先生们 我是特里斯坦·哈里斯” |
[06:07] | Right. Great. | 好 很好 |
[06:08] | So, I come up, and… | 就是说 我上来 然后… |
[06:12] | (人道 技术的新议程) | |
[06:13] | basically say, “Thank you all for coming.” Um… | 你就说“欢迎各位的到来” |
[06:17] | So, today, I wanna talk about a new agenda for technology. | 今天 我想聊聊技术的一个新议程 |
[06:22] | And why we wanna do that is because if you ask people, | 以及我们为什么要这样做 因为如果你问人们 |
[06:25] | “What’s wrong in the tech industry right now?” | “如今的技术产业怎么了?” |
[06:28] | there’s a cacophony of grievances and scandals, | 有一种不满和丑闻的杂音 |
[06:31] | and “They stole our data.” And there’s tech addiction. | “他们盗用了我们的数据” 还有技术成瘾问题 |
[06:33] | And there’s fake news. And there’s polarization | 有虚假新闻问题 有两极分化问题 |
[06:36] | and some elections that are getting hacked. | 有些竞选过程被黑客操控的问题 |
[06:38] | But is there something that is beneath all these problems | 但是这些问题的背后 是否有一个原因 |
[06:41] | that’s causing all these things to happen at once? | 导致这些问题在同时发生? |
[06:46] | Does this feel good? Very good. Yeah. | 感觉还行吗? 非常好 好 |
[06:50] | I’m just trying to… Like, I want people to see… | 我只是想… 我想让人们看到… |
[06:53] | Like, there’s a problem happening in the tech industry, | 在技术产业 正面临着一个问题 |
[06:55] | and it doesn’t have a name, | 这个问题连名字都没有 |
[06:56] | and it has to do with one source, like, one… | 这个问题有一个源头… |
[07:05] | When you look around you, it feels like the world is going crazy. | 环顾你身边 感觉这个世界在逐渐疯狂 |
[07:12] | You have to ask yourself, like, “Is this normal? | 你要问自己 这是正常的吗? |
[07:16] | Or have we all fallen under some kind of spell?” | 还是我们都中了什么魔咒? |
[07:22] | (特里斯坦·哈里斯 谷歌前设计道德伦理学家) | |
[07:25] | (人道技术中心 合作创始人) | |
[07:27] | I wish more people could understand how this works | 我希望更多的人能够理解它的原理 |
[07:30] | because it shouldn’t be something that only the tech industry knows. | 因为它不应该 只被技术产业的业内知道 |
[07:34] | It should be something that everybody knows. | 应该让所有人都知道 |
[07:41] | Bye. | 拜 |
[07:47] | Hello! Hi. | 你好! 嗨! |
[07:48] | Tristan. Nice to meet you. It’s Tris tan, right? | 特里斯坦 幸会 特里斯坦? |
[07:50] | Yes. Awesome. Cool. | 对 太好了 好 |
[07:53] | Tristan Harris is a former design ethicist for Google | 特里斯坦·哈里斯 是谷歌前设计道德伦理学家 |
[07:56] | and has been called the closest thing Silicon Valley has to a conscience. | 被称为硅谷最接近良知的人物 |
[07:59] | He’s asking tech | 他呼吁技术产业 |
[08:00] | to bring what he calls “ethical design” to its products. | 在产品中引进 被他称为“道德伦理设计”的要素 |
[08:04] | It’s rare for a tech insider to be so blunt, | 搞技术的业内人士 极少如此直言不讳 |
[08:06] | but Tristan Harris believes someone needs to be. | 特里斯坦·哈里斯相信 总有人要这样 |
[08:11] | When I was at Google, | 我在谷歌工作的时候 |
[08:12] | I was on the Gmail team, and I just started getting burnt out | 我在谷歌邮箱团队 我就开始觉得很疲惫 |
[08:16] | ’cause we’d had so many conversations about… | 因为我们讨论了很多… |
[08:19] | you know, what the inbox should look like and what color it should be, and… | 收件箱应该长什么样 应该是什么颜色 |
[08:23] | And I, you know, felt personally addicted to e mail, | 我自己感觉对邮件成瘾 |
[08:26] | and I found it fascinating | 我觉得有趣的是 |
[08:27] | there was no one at Gmail working on making it less addictive. | 在谷歌邮箱工作的人 没有一个想把它做得不那么致瘾 |
[08:31] | And I was like, “Is anybody else thinking about this? | 我想:“别人想过这个问题吗? |
[08:34] | I haven’t heard anybody talk about this.” | 我 没听谁谈论过这个问题” |
[08:36] | And I was feeling this frustration… | 我对技术产业 |
[08:39] | …with the tech industry, overall, | 整体感到沮丧 |
[08:41] | that we’d kind of, like, lost our way. | 感觉我们有点迷路了 |
[08:46] | You know, I really struggled to try and figure out | 我真的很努力地去尝试 想办法 |
[08:49] | how, from the inside, we could change it. | 怎样能从行业内部改变这个问题 |
[08:55] | And that was when I decided to make a presentation, | 就在这个时候 我决定做一次展示 |
[08:58] | kind of a call to arms. | 算是号召大家吧 |
[09:00] | Every day, I went home and I worked on it for a couple hours every single night. | 每天我回到家 每一个晚上 都要花几个小时去做这件事 |
[09:06] | It basically just said, you know, | 我的呼吁是 |
[09:08] | never before in history have 50 designers | 历史上从来没有过50个 |
[09:12] | 20 to 35 year old white guys in California | 20到35岁之间的加州白人设计师 |
[09:15] | made decisions that would have an impact on two billion people. | 做出一个能影响20亿人的决定 |
[09:21] | Two billion people will have thoughts that they didn’t intend to have | 20亿人将会拥有 他们从来不曾预料的想法 |
[09:24] | because a designer at Google said, “This is how notifications work | 只因为一个谷歌的设计师说 “你每天早上醒来 |
[09:28] | on that screen that you wake up to in the morning.” | 屏幕上的通知就是这样工作的” |
[09:31] | And we have a moral responsibility, as Google, for solving this problem. | 我们作为谷歌 有解决这个问题的道德责任 |
[09:36] | And I sent this presentation | 我把这个展示 |
[09:37] | to about 15, 20 of my closest colleagues at Google, | 发给了在谷歌 与我关系最近的15到20个同事 |
[09:41] | and I was very nervous about it. I wasn’t sure how it was gonna land. | 我很紧张 我不知道他们会怎样想 |
[09:46] | When I went to work the next day, | 我第二天去上班的时候 |
[09:48] | most of the laptops had the presentation open. | 多数的电脑上都开着这个展示 |
[09:52] | Later that day, there was, like, 400 simultaneous viewers, | 那天下午 有400个人同时观看 |
[09:54] | so it just kept growing and growing. | 看到的人越来越多 |
[09:56] | I got e mails from all around the company. I mean, people in every department saying, | 我收到整个公司同事发来的各种邮件 每一个部门的人都说 |
[10:00] | “I totally agree.” “I see this affecting my kids.” | “我太同意了 我看到这个问题正在影响我的孩子 |
[10:02] | “I see this affecting the people around me.” | 我看到这个问题正在影响我身边的人 |
[10:05] | “We have to do something about this.” | 我们应该做点什么 来解决这个问题” |
[10:07] | It felt like I was sort of launching a revolution or something like that. | 我感觉自己 好像开启了一场革命之类的 |
[10:11] | Later, I found out Larry Page had been notified about this presentation | 后来 我才知道莱利·佩吉 那一天在三个不同会议 |
[10:15] | in three separate meetings that day. | 都被人告知这个展示的存在 |
[10:17] | And so, it created this kind of cultural moment | 于是这个展示 创造了这个文化性的时刻 |
[10:20] | that Google needed to take seriously. | 谷歌需要认真对待 |
[10:26] | And then… nothing. | 然后…杳无音讯了 |
[10:34] | Everyone in 2006… | 2006年 所有人… |
[10:37] | including all of us at Facebook, | 包括我们在脸书的所有人 |
[10:39] | just had total admiration for Google and what Google had built, | 超级羡慕谷歌 羡慕谷歌所创建的一切 |
[10:43] | which was this incredibly useful service | 超级实用的服务 |
[10:47] | that did, far as we could tell, lots of goodness for the world, | 据我们当时所知 为世界带来了很多好处 |
[10:51] | and they built this parallel money machine. | 他们建立了一个平行的造钱机器 |
[10:55] | We had such envy for that, and it seemed so elegant to us… | 我们超级羡慕嫉妒谷歌 在我们看来太优雅了… |
[11:00] | and so perfect. | 太完美了 |
[11:02] | Facebook had been around for about two years, | 脸书当时才成立大概两年 |
[11:05] | um, and I was hired to come in and figure out | 我被雇到脸书 |
[11:08] | what the business model was gonna be for the company. | 去找出公司未来要走怎样的商业模式 |
[11:10] | I was the director of monetization. The point was, like, | |
[11:13] | “You’re the person who’s gonna figure out how this thing monetizes.” | “你是要去想出 这个东西怎样盈利的人” |
[11:17] | And there were a lot of people who did a lot of the work, | 当时很多人做了很多工作 |
[11:19] | but I was clearly one of the people who was pointing towards… | 但我明显是其中一个指向… |
[11:26] | “Well, we have to make money, A… | 首先 我们必须要赚钱 |
[11:29] | and I think this advertising model is probably the most elegant way. | 我认为这个广告模式 可能是最优雅的方式 |
[11:42] | Uh oh. What’s this video Mom just sent us? | 妈妈刚给我们发的什么视频? |
[11:44] | Oh, that’s from a talk show, but that’s pretty good. | 一个脱口秀 不过挺不错的 |
[11:46] | Guy’s kind of a genius. | 那个人还算是个天才 |
[11:47] | He’s talking all about deleting social media, which you gotta do. | 他在谈论删除社交媒体 你们真应该这样做 |
[11:50] | I might have to start blocking her e mails. | 我可能要开始屏蔽她的邮件了 |
[11:52] | I don’t even know what she’s talking about, man. | 讲真 我都不知道她在说什么 天啊 |
[11:54] | She’s worse than I am. | 她还不如我 |
[11:56] | No, she only uses it for recipes. Right, and work. | 不 她只用来找菜谱 对 还有工作 |
[11:58] | And workout videos. And to check up on us. | 还有健身视频 还看我们在做什么 |
[12:00] | And everyone else she’s ever met in her entire life. | 还看她这辈子遇到过的每一个人 在做什么 |
[12:04] | If you are scrolling through your social media feed | 如果你一边往下划着 你的社交媒体推送 |
[12:07] | while you’re watchin’ us, you need to put the damn phone down and listen up | 一边看着我们 你需要把你该死的手机放下 听好 |
[12:11] | ’cause our next guest has written an incredible book | 因为我们的下一位嘉宾 写了一本优秀的书 |
[12:14] | about how much it’s wrecking our lives. | 书的内容是社交媒体 多大程度上破坏了我们的生活 |
[12:18] | Please welcome author | 掌声有请 |
[12:19] | of Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now… | 《立刻删除 你社交媒体的十个论点》作者 |
[12:24] | Uh huh. …Jaron Lanier. | 贾伦·拉尼尔 |
[12:27] | Companies like Google and Facebook are some of the wealthiest | 谷歌、脸书这样的公司是有史以来 |
[12:31] | and most successful of all time. | 最富有、最成功的几个公司 |
[12:33] | Uh, they have relatively few employees. | 他们的员工数量相对较少 |
[12:36] | They just have this giant computer that rakes in money, right? Uh… | 他们只有一个大电脑 在那里摇钱 |
[12:41] | Now, what are they being paid for? | 问题是 别人为什么给他们钱呢? |
[12:43] | That’s a really important question. | 这是一个非常重要的问题 |
[12:47] | So, I’ve been an investor in technology for 35 years. | 我做了35年的技术产业投资者 |
[12:51] | The first 50 years of Silicon Valley, the industry made products | 硅谷的前50年 行业制造产品… |
[12:54] | hardware, software | 硬件、软件 |
[12:55] | sold ’em to customers. Nice, simple business. | 卖给顾客 简单良好的商业模式 |
[12:58] | For the last ten years, the biggest companies in Silicon Valley | 过去十年 硅谷最大的公司 |
[13:01] | have been in the business of selling their users. | 一直涉足贩卖他们用户的勾当 |
[13:03] | It’s a little even trite to say now, | 现在这样说 有点陈词滥调 |
[13:05] | but… because we don’t pay for the products that we use, | 但因为我们不为使用这些产品付钱 |
[13:09] | advertisers pay for the products that we use. | 广告商为我们使用的产品付钱 |
[13:12] | Advertisers are the customers. | 广告商是顾客 |
[13:14] | We’re the thing being sold. | 我们是被销售的商品 |
[13:16] | The classic saying is: | 经典的说法是 |
[13:17] | “If you’re not paying for the product, then you are the product.” | “如果你没有花钱买产品 那你就是被卖的产品” |
[13:23] | A lot of people think, you know, “Oh, well, Google’s just a search box, | 很多人想:“谷歌只是一个搜索框 |
[13:27] | and Facebook’s just a place to see what my friends are doing | 脸书只是一个看我朋友们在做什么 |
[13:29] | and see their photos.” | 看他们照片的地方” |
[13:31] | But what they don’t realize is they’re competing for your attention. | 但他们没有意识到的是 他们在竞争你的关注 |
[13:36] | So, you know, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, | 脸书、阅后即焚图片分享、推特 Instagram、YouTube |
[13:41] | companies like this, their business model is to keep people engaged on the screen. | 这种公司 他们的商业模式 是让人们的注意力持续吸引在屏幕上 |
[13:46] | Let’s figure out how to get as much of this person’s attention | 我们来想办法 怎样尽最大可能 |
[13:49] | as we possibly can. | 获得这个人的注意力 |
[13:51] | How much time can we get you to spend? | 我们能让你在上面花多少时间? |
[13:53] | How much of your life can we get you to give to us? | 我们能让你给我们分出 你人生的多少时间? |
[13:58] | When you think about how some of these companies work, | 当你去想 这些公司是怎样运作的 |
[14:01] | it starts to make sense. | 就能开始想通了 |
[14:03] | There are all these services on the Internet that we think of as free, | 网络上有过各种服务 我们都认为是免费的 |
[14:06] | but they’re not free. They’re paid for by advertisers. | 但它们并不是免费的 是广告商在付钱 |
[14:09] | Why do advertisers pay those companies? | 广告商为什么给这些公司付钱? |
[14:11] | They pay in exchange for showing their ads to us. | 它们付钱 交换给你展示广告 |
[14:14] | We’re the product. Our attention is the product being sold to advertisers. | 我们是产品 我们的关注 就是卖给广告商的产品 |
[14:18] | That’s a little too simplistic. | 这样说 过于简单化了 |
[14:20] | It’s the gradual, slight, imperceptible change | 产品其实是我们行为和认知的 |
[14:23] | in your own behavior and perception that is the product. | 逐渐的、一点一点的 我们未察觉到的变化 |
[14:26] | (行为和认知的 变化) | |
[14:27] | And that is the product. It’s the only possible product. | 这才是产品 是唯一可能的产品 |
[14:30] | There’s nothing else on the table that could possibly be called the product. | 这其中 没有任何东西 能再被称为产品了 |
[14:34] | That’s the only thing there is for them to make money from. | 这是他们能拿来赚钱的唯一东西 |
[14:37] | Changing what you do, | 改变你做的事 |
[14:39] | how you think, who you are. | 你的思维模式 改变你这个人 |
[14:42] | It’s a gradual change. It’s slight. | 这是一种逐渐的变化 非常轻微 |
[14:45] | If you can go to somebody and you say, “Give me $10 million, | 如果你去找一个人 你说:“给我一千万美元 |
[14:49] | and I will change the world one percent in the direction you want it to change…” | 我会让世界往你希望的方向改变1%…” |
[14:54] | It’s the world! That can be incredible, and that’s worth a lot of money. | 是整个世界!这就很神奇 值很多钱 |
[14:59] | Okay. | 好 |
[15:00] | This is what every business has always dreamt of: | 这是每种商业都一直梦想的 |
[15:04] | to have a guarantee that if it places an ad, it will be successful. | 就是投放一个广告 有一定能够成功的保证 |
[15:11] | That’s their business. | 这就是他们的生意 |
[15:12] | They sell certainty. | 他们卖的是确定性 |
[15:14] | (确定性) | |
[15:14] | In order to be successful in that business, | 为了在这个生意中成功 |
[15:17] | you have to have great predictions. | 你必须要有优秀的预判能力 |
[15:20] | Great predictions begin with one imperative: | (优秀的预判能力) |
[15:20] | 优秀的预判能力始于一个必要条件 | |
[15:25] | you need a lot of data. | 你需要很多数据 |
[15:27] | (数据) | |
[15:29] | Many people call this surveillance capitalism, | 很多人把它称作监视资本主义 |
[15:31] | capitalism profiting off of the infinite tracking | 资本主义利用大型技术公司 对每个人去的每一个地方 |
[15:34] | of everywhere everyone goes by large technology companies | 进行无限追踪获利 |
[15:38] | whose business model is to make sure | 大型技术公司的商业模式 |
[15:40] | that advertisers are as successful as possible. | 是保证广告商能尽最大可能成功 |
[15:42] | This is a new kind of marketplace now. | 这是现在的一种新市场 |
[15:45] | It’s a marketplace that never existed before. | 这种市场 以前从未出现过 |
[15:48] | And it’s a marketplace that trades exclusively in human futures. | 这个市场交易的 只有人类期货 |
[15:56] | Just like there are markets that trade in pork belly futures or oil futures. | 就像交易五花肉期货 和石油期货的市场 |
[16:02] | We now have markets that trade in human futures at scale, | 我们现在有了 交易大范围人类期货的市场 |
[16:08] | and those markets have produced the trillions of dollars | 这些市场创造了万亿美元 |
[16:14] | that have made the Internet companies the richest companies | 让网络公司成为了人类历史上 |
[16:19] | in the history of humanity. | 最富有的公司 |
[16:27] | What I want people to know is that everything they’re doing online | 我想让人们知道的是 他们在网上做的一切 |
[16:31] | is being watched, is being tracked, is being measured. | 都被监控着 被追踪着 被评估着 |
[16:35] | Every single action you take is carefully monitored and recorded. | 你所做出的每一个行为 都被小心翼翼地监控着、记录着 |
[16:39] | Exactly what image you stop and look at, for how long you look at it. | 具体到你停在哪一张图片上看了 你看了多久 |
[16:43] | Oh, yeah, seriously, for how long you look at it. | 是的 真的 看了多久都记录了 |
[16:45] | (纳维亚 参与时间) | |
[16:47] | (瑞恩 参与时间) | |
[16:49] | (雷恩 参与时间) | |
[16:50] | They know when people are lonely. | 人们孤独的时候 他们知道 |
[16:52] | They know when people are depressed. | 人们抑郁的时候 他们知道 |
[16:53] | They know when people are looking at photos of your ex romantic partners. | 人们看前任爱侣的时候 他们知道 |
[16:57] | They know what you’re doing late at night. They know the entire thing. | 你深夜在做什么 他们知道 他们全都知道 |
[17:01] | Whether you’re an introvert or an extrovert, | 你是内向还是外向 |
[17:03] | or what kind of neuroses you have, what your personality type is like. | 你的神经哪种类型 你的性格是哪种类型 |
[17:08] | They have more information about us | 他们所掌握的我们的信息 |
[17:11] | than has ever been imagined in human history. | 超越人类历史上所有的想象 |
[17:14] | It is unprecedented. | 这是史无前例的 |
[17:18] | And so, all of this data that we’re… that we’re just pouring out all the time | 所有这些我们不经意间 不断流露出的数据 |
[17:22] | is being fed into these systems that have almost no human supervision | 都被输入到这些系统中 几乎不用人类看管 |
[17:27] | and that are making better and better and better and better predictions | 会做出越来越好的预判 |
[17:30] | about what we’re gonna do and… and who we are. | 预判出我们要做什么 我们是怎样的人 |
[17:34] | (为您推荐) | |
[17:36] | People have the misconception it’s our data being sold. | 很多人有一种误解 认为被卖掉的 是我们的数据 |
[17:40] | It’s not in Facebook’s business interest to give up the data. | 脸书的商业兴趣 肯定不是放掉这些数据 |
[17:45] | What do they do with that data? | 他们用这些数据做什么呢? |
[17:51] | They build models that predict our actions, | 他们做出预判我们行为的模型 |
[17:54] | and whoever has the best model wins. | 拥有最优秀模型的公司就赢了 |
[18:02] | His scrolling speed is slowing. | 他向下滑网页的速度慢 |
[18:04] | Nearing the end of his average session length. | 接近他平均阅读一屏时间长度的末尾 |
[18:06] | Decreasing ad load. | 减少广告加载 |
[18:07] | Pull back on friends and family. | 把朋友和家人弄回来 |
[18:09] | On the other side of the screen, | 在屏幕的另一端 |
[18:11] | it’s almost as if they had this avatar voodoo doll like model of us. | 他们就好像拥有一个 我们的巫毒娃娃化身一样 |
[18:16] | All of the things we’ve ever done, | 我们做过的所有事情 |
[18:18] | all the clicks we’ve ever made, | 点击过的每一个地方 |
[18:19] | all the videos we’ve watched, all the likes, | 我们看过的所有视频 点赞过的所有内容 |
[18:21] | that all gets brought back into building a more and more accurate model. | 这些数据都会被返回去 用来建造一个越来越精准的模型 |
[18:25] | The model, once you have it, | 一旦有了这个模型 |
[18:27] | you can predict the kinds of things that person does. | 就能预判这个人做怎样的事 |
[18:29] | Right, let me just test. | 好 让我测试一下 |
[18:32] | Where you’ll go. I can predict what kind of videos | 你将要去哪里 我能预判出 |
[18:35] | will keep you watching. | 你会继续看什么样的视频 |
[18:36] | I can predict what kinds of emotions tend to trigger you. | 我能预判 什么样的情感更能让你产生共鸣 |
[18:39] | Yes, perfect. | 好 完美 |
[18:41] | The most epic fails of the year. | 年度最悲壮失败 |
[18:43] | (悲壮失败) | |
[18:48] | Perfect. That worked. Following with another video. | 完美 有效果 接着另一个视频 |
[18:51] | Beautiful. Let’s squeeze in a sneaker ad before it starts. | 漂亮 在它开始之前 我们插进去一个运动鞋广告 |
[18:56] | At a lot of technology companies, | 很多这种技术公司 |
[18:58] | there’s three main goals. | 有三个主要目标 |
[18:59] | There’s the engagement goal: | 有一个参与度目标 |
[19:01] | to drive up your usage, to keep you scrolling. | 增加你的使用 让你一直滑动屏幕 |
[19:04] | There’s the growth goal: | 有一个增长目标 |
[19:06] | to keep you coming back and inviting as many friends | 让你不断回来 尽可能多地邀请朋友 |
[19:08] | and getting them to invite more friends. | 让他们再邀请更多的朋友 |
[19:11] | And then there’s the advertising goal: | 还有一个广告目标 |
[19:13] | to make sure that, as all that’s happening, | 确保一切按照预期发展 |
[19:15] | we’re making as much money as possible from advertising. | 我们尽量多地从广告上挣钱 |
[19:19] | Each of these goals are powered by algorithms | 每一个目标都由一个算法驱动 |
[19:22] | whose job is to figure out what to show you | 算法的作用是找出 给你展示什么 |
[19:24] | to keep those numbers going up. | 让数据上涨 |
[19:26] | We often talked about, at Facebook, this idea | 我们在脸书 经常聊到这个想法 |
[19:30] | of being able to just dial that as needed. | 能够按照我们的需要调控 |
[19:34] | And, you know, we talked about having Mark have those dials. | 我们聊过 让马克来调控 |
[19:41] | “Hey, I want more users in Korea today.” | “喂 我今天想让韩国的用户增加” |
[19:45] | “Turn the dial.” | 开始调控 |
[19:47] | “Let’s dial up the ads a little bit.” | “我们调控提高一点广告” |
[19:49] | “Dial up monetization, just slightly.” | “调控提高一点盈利” |
[19:52] | And so, that happ | 所以说… |
[19:55] | I mean, at all of these companies, there is that level of precision. | 所有这些公司 都能做到这种程度的精准 |
[19:59] | Dude, how I don’t know how I didn’t get carded. | 兄弟 怎么… 我不知道我怎么没有得到黄牌罚下 |
[20:02] | That ref just, like, sucked or something. You got literally all the way… | 那个裁判真是逊 真的是一直… |
[20:05] | That’s Rebecca. Go talk to her. I know who it is. | 那是瑞贝卡 去和她说话 我知道那是谁 |
[20:08] | Dude, yo, go talk to her. I’m workin’ on it. | 兄弟 去啊 去跟她说话 我正在努力 |
[20:10] | His calendar says he’s on a break right now. We should be live. | 他的日历上说 他正在休假 我们应该实时操作 |
[20:14] | Want me to nudge him? | 要我给他发一个窗口抖动吗? |
[20:17] | Yeah, nudge away. | 好 抖吧 |
[20:21] | “Your friend Tyler just joined. Say hi with a wave.” | “您的好友泰勒刚刚加入了 去挥手打个招呼吧” |
[20:26] | Come on, Ben. | 快啊 兄弟 |
[20:27] | Send a wave. | 发一个挥手 |
[20:29] | You’re not… Go talk to her, dude. | 你都没有… 去和她说话 兄弟 |
[20:31] | 您的好友泰勒刚刚加入了! 挥手打个招呼吧 | |
[20:36] | (联系人网络) | |
[20:38] | New link! All right, we’re on. | 新联系人!好 连上了 |
[20:40] | Follow that up with a post from User 079044238820, Rebecca. | 接下来推送 用户079044238820瑞贝卡的发帖 |
[20:46] | Good idea. GPS coordinates indicate that they’re in close proximity. | 好主意 卫星定位坐标显示 他们距离很近 |
[20:52] | (瑞贝卡 找到了我的灵魂伴侣 #闺蜜#呲溜呲溜#好朋友) | |
[20:55] | He’s primed for an ad. | 他容易受到广告影响 |
[20:57] | Auction time. | 拍卖时间 |
[20:58] | (广告预览 深度衰落发蜡) | |
[21:00] | Sold! To Deep Fade hair wax. | 卖了!给深度衰落发蜡 |
[21:03] | We had 468 interested bidders. We sold Ben at 3.262 cents for an impression. | 我们有468个感兴趣的竞标人 我们以3.262分卖给本 换来他的印象 |
[21:17] | We’ve created a world | 我们创造了一个世界 |
[21:18] | in which online connection has become primary, | 这个世界中 在线联系变成了主体 |
[21:22] | especially for younger generations. | 尤其是对年轻一代 |
[21:23] | And yet, in that world, any time two people connect, | 然而在这个世界 每次两个人联系 |
[21:29] | the only way it’s financed is through a sneaky third person | 唯一能提供经济支持的 是通过一个鬼祟的第三方 |
[21:33] | who’s paying to manipulate those two people. | 有人给第三方钱 去操纵这两个人 |
[21:36] | So, we’ve created an entire global generation of people | 所以 我们创造了全球的一整代人 |
[21:39] | who are raised within a context where the very meaning of communication, | 他们成长的背景中 交流的意义 |
[21:44] | the very meaning of culture, is manipulation. | 文化的意义 就是操纵 |
[21:47] | We’ve put deceit and sneakiness | 我们所做的每一件事的中心 |
[21:49] | at the absolute center of everything we do. | 都加入了欺骗和鬼祟 |
[21:56] | (“任何足够先进的技术 都极其类似于魔术”) | |
[22:01] | (——亚瑟·C·克拉克) | |
[22:05] | Grab the… Okay. | 拿起另一个… 好 |
[22:07] | Where’s it help to hold it? Great. | 放在哪里才有用? 这样很好 |
[22:09] | Here? Yeah. | 这里? 好 |
[22:10] | How does this come across on camera if I were to do, like, this move | 这会怎样出现在摄影机中 如果我要做… |
[22:13] | We can Like that? | 其实 我们可以… 就这样? |
[22:15] | What? Yeah. | 什么? 对 |
[22:17] | Do that again. Exactly. Yeah. | 再来一次? 没错 好 |
[22:19] | Yeah. No, it’s probably not… | 对 不是 可能不是… |
[22:20] | Like… yeah. | 这样… 对 |
[22:22] | I mean, this one is less… | 这个就稍微没那么… |
[22:29] | Larissa’s, like, actually freaking out over here. | 克里斯在那边已经烦死了 |
[22:34] | Is that good? | 可以了吗? |
[22:35] | (魔术!) | |
[22:37] | I was, like, five years old when I learned how to do magic. | 我从五岁开始学习变魔术 |
[22:41] | And I could fool adults, fully grown adults with, like, PhDs. | 我可以骗过成年人 有博士学位的完全成熟的成年人 |
[22:55] | Magicians were almost like the first neuroscientists | 魔术师几乎像是最早期的神经学家 |
[22:57] | and psychologists. | 和心理学家 |
[22:59] | Like, they were the ones who first understood | 他们是最先明白 |
[23:02] | how people’s minds work. | 人们思想工作原理的人 |
[23:04] | They just, in real time, are testing lots and lots of stuff on people. | 他们在人们身上 实时测试着很多很多的东西 |
[23:09] | A magician understands something, | 魔术师懂一些事 |
[23:11] | some part of your mind that we’re not aware of. | 你思想中 你自己都没意识到的某一部分 |
[23:14] | That’s what makes the illusion work. | 这是让幻觉起作用的关键 |
[23:16] | Doctors, lawyers, people who know how to build 747s or nuclear missiles, | 医生、律师 知道怎样构造747飞机或者核弹的人 |
[23:20] | they don’t know more about how their own mind is vulnerable. | 他们并不会比别人更了解 自己的思想有多么脆弱 |
[23:24] | That’s a separate discipline. | 因为这是一个完全不用的学科领域 |
[23:26] | And it’s a discipline that applies to all human beings. | 这个学科领域 对所有人类都适用 |
[23:29] | (斯坦福大学) | |
[23:30] | From that perspective, you can have a very different understanding | 从这个角度来说 你就能对技术做了什么 |
[23:34] | of what technology is doing. | 有一个不同的理解 |
[23:36] | When I was at the Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab, | 我在斯坦福劝服技术实验室的时候 |
[23:39] | this is what we learned. | 这就是我们所学到的 |
[23:41] | How could you use everything we know | 怎样利用我们知道的一切心理学知识 |
[23:43] | about the psychology of what persuades people | 什么东西能劝服人们 |
[23:45] | and build that into technology? | 把这个运用到技术中? |
[23:48] | Now, many of you in the audience are geniuses already. | 在座观众中的很多人 已经是天才了 |
[23:50] | I think that’s true, but my goal is to turn you into a behavior change genius. | 我认为这是事实 但我的目标是 让你们变成行为改变的天才 |
[23:56] | There are many prominent Silicon Valley figures who went through that class | 很多著名的硅谷人物 都上过这个课 |
[24:01] | key growth figures at Facebook and Uber and… and other companies | 脸书、优步和其他公司的 业绩增长关键人物 |
[24:05] | and learned how to make technology more persuasive, | 学习怎样让技术更能劝服人们 |
[24:09] | Tristan being one. | 特里斯坦就是其中一个 |
[24:12] | Persuasive technology is just sort of design | 劝服性技术 可以说是极端应用的 |
[24:14] | intentionally applied to the extreme, | 刻意设计 |
[24:16] | where we really want to modify someone’s behavior. | 我们真的想去修改一个人的行为 |
[24:18] | We want them to take this action. | 我们想让他们这样做 |
[24:20] | We want them to keep doing this with their finger. | 我们想让他们继续用手指这样做 |
[24:23] | You pull down and you refresh, it’s gonna be a new thing at the top. | 你往下拉 刷新 最上面就是新的内容 |
[24:26] | Pull down and refresh again, it’s new. Every single time. | 再下拉 再刷新 又是新的 每一次都是 |
[24:28] | Which, in psychology, we call a positive intermittent reinforcement. | 在心理学上 我们称为“正积极强化” |
[24:33] | You don’t know when you’re gonna get it or if you’re gonna get something, | 你不知道什么时候能刷到 或者你是否能刷到什么 |
[24:37] | which operates just like the slot machines in Vegas. | 它的原理就像是赌城的老虎机 |
[24:40] | It’s not enough that you use the product consciously, | 你有意识地使用产品 还远远不够 |
[24:42] | I wanna dig down deeper into the brain stem | 我想深度侵入你的大脑根部 |
[24:44] | and implant, inside of you, an unconscious habit | 在你脑中植入一个无意识的习惯 |
[24:47] | so that you are being programmed at a deeper level. | 让你在更深的层次被编程 |
[24:50] | You don’t even realize it. | 你自己都没有意识到 |
[24:52] | A man, James Marshall… | 一个叫做詹姆斯·马歇尔的人 |
[24:54] | Every time you see it there on the counter, | 每一次你在看到老虎机在柜台上 |
[24:56] | and you just look at it, and you know if you reach over, | 你看一眼 你知道如果你过去 |
[24:59] | it just might have something for you, | 它可能有东西给你 |
[25:01] | so you play that slot machine to see what you got, right? | 于是你就玩了一下老虎机 看你能得到什么 对吧? |
[25:03] | That’s not by accident. That’s a design technique. | 这不是偶然 这是设计好的手段 |
[25:06] | He brings a golden nugget to an officer in the army in San Francisco. | 他把一个金块 给了旧金山军队的一个军官 |
[25:12] | Mind you, the… the population of San Francisco was only… | 别忘了 旧金山的人口数量 当时只有… |
[25:15] | Another example is photo tagging. | 另一个例子是照片圈人 |
[25:19] | So, if you get an e mail | 如果你收到一封邮件 |
[25:21] | that says your friend just tagged you in a photo, | 说你朋友刚刚在一张照片中圈出了你 |
[25:24] | of course you’re going to click on that e mail and look at the photo. | 你当然会点击那封邮件 看一下照片 |
[25:29] | It’s not something you can just decide to ignore. | 这不是你能选择忽略的事情 |
[25:32] | This is deep seated, like, | 他们所利用的 |
[25:34] | human personality that they’re tapping into. | 是根植于人类本性中的东西 |
[25:36] | What you should be asking yourself is: | 你应该问自己的是 |
[25:38] | “Why doesn’t that e mail contain the photo in it? | “这封邮件中 为什么没把照片放进来? |
[25:40] | It would be a lot easier to see the photo.” | 这样 看照片就会容易很多 ” |
[25:42] | When Facebook found that feature, they just dialed the hell out of that | 当脸书发现这个功能之后 他们可真是尽情调控 |
[25:46] | because they said, “This is gonna be a great way to grow activity. | 因为他们说 “这将是增长积极性的绝好方式 |
[25:48] | Let’s just get people tagging each other in photos all day long.” | 我们让大家整天在照片中互相圈吧” |
[25:56] | (本:至少我们中 有一个人拍得很好) | |
[25:59] | He commented. | 他评论了 |
[26:00] | Nice. | 很好 |
[26:01] | Okay, Rebecca received it, and she is responding. | 瑞贝卡收到了 她正在回复 |
[26:04] | All right, let Ben know that she’s typing so we don’t lose him. | 好 让本知道她在输入 别让他下线了 |
[26:07] | Activating ellipsis. | 激活省略号 |
[26:09] | (至少我们中有一个人拍得很好 …) | |
[26:19] | Great, she posted. | 太好了 她发布了 |
[26:21] | He’s commenting on her comment about his comment on her post. | 他在评论 他给她发帖的评论的评论 |
[26:25] | Hold on, he stopped typing. | 等一下 他停止输入了 |
[26:26] | Let’s autofill. | 我们来自动填入 |
[26:28] | Emojis. He loves emojis. | 表情 他喜欢使用表情 |
[26:31] | (自动完成 参与度) | |
[26:33] | He went with fire. | 他选择了“火辣”表情 |
[26:34] | I was rootin’ for eggplant. | 我以为他会选择茄子呢 |
[26:38] | There’s an entire discipline and field called “growth hacking.” | 有一整个学科 这个领域叫做“增长量黑客学” |
[26:42] | Teams of engineers whose job is to hack people’s psychology | 无数工程师团队 他们的工作就是黑入人们的心理 |
[26:47] | so they can get more growth. | 让他们拥有更多的增长量 |
[26:48] | They can get more user sign ups, more engagement. | 他们能得到更多的用户注册 更高的参与度 |
[26:51] | They can get you to invite more people. | 能让你邀请更多人 |
[26:52] | After all the testing, all the iterating, all of this stuff, | 各种测试、迭代 种种操作之后 |
[26:56] | you know the single biggest thing we realized? | 知道我们发现最重要现象是什么吗? |
[26:57] | Get any individual to seven friends in ten days. | 让任何个体在十天内邀请七个朋友 |
[26:59] | (查马斯·帕里哈皮提亚 脸书前增长副总裁) | |
[27:01] | That was it. | 就是这个 |
[27:02] | Chamath was the head of growth at Facebook early on, | 查马斯是脸书早期的增长负责人 |
[27:05] | and he’s very well known in the tech industry | 他在技术领域非常知名 |
[27:08] | for pioneering a lot of the growth tactics | 因为他首创了很多增长手段 |
[27:11] | that were used to grow Facebook at incredible speed. | 这些手段的使用 让脸书用户飞速增长 |
[27:14] | And those growth tactics have then become the standard playbook for Silicon Valley. | 后来那些增长手段 变成了硅谷的标准战术 |
[27:18] | They were used at Uber and at a bunch of other companies. | 在优步使用了 在很多其他公司也使用了 |
[27:21] | One of the things that he pioneered was the use of scientific A/B testing | 他首创的一个东西 就是对功能上的小变化 |
[27:27] | of small feature changes. | 使用科学A/B测试 |
[27:29] | Companies like Google and Facebook | 谷歌和脸书这种公司 |
[27:31] | would roll out lots of little, tiny experiments | 会推出很多小实验 |
[27:34] | that they were constantly doing on users. | 他们不断在用户身上测试 |
[27:36] | And over time, by running these constant experiments, | 随着时间发展 不停运行这些实验之后 |
[27:39] | you… you develop the most optimal way | 就能发展出能让用户 做你想让他们做的事 |
[27:43] | to get users to do what you want them to do. | 的最佳方式 |
[27:45] | It’s… It’s manipulation. | 这就是操纵 |
[27:47] | Uh, you’re making me feel like a lab rat. | 你让我感觉自己像是实验室的小白鼠 |
[27:49] | You are a lab rat. We’re all lab rats. | 你就是实验室的小白鼠 我们所有人都是 |
[27:52] | And it’s not like we’re lab rats for developing a cure for cancer. | 我们和开发治愈癌症药物的 实验室小白鼠又不一样 |
[27:55] | It’s not like they’re trying to benefit us. | 这些实验的最终获益人 不是我们 |
[27:58] | Right? We’re just zombies, and they want us to look at more ads | 对吧?我们就像僵尸一样 他们想让我们看更多的广告 |
[28:01] | so they can make more money. | 让他们挣更多的钱 |
[28:03] | Facebook conducted | 脸书做了一个实验 |
[28:05] | what they called “massive scale contagion experiments.” | 他们称为“海量规模蔓延实验” |
[28:08] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[28:09] | How do we use subliminal cues on the Facebook pages | 我们怎样用脸书页面上的潜意识信号 |
[28:13] | to get more people to go vote in the midterm elections? | 来让更多人在中期选举中投票? |
[28:17] | And they discovered that they were able to do that. | 他们发现 他们能做到 |
[28:20] | One thing they concluded is that we now know | 他们得出的一个结论是 现在我们知道 |
[28:24] | we can affect real world behavior and emotions | 我们能影响现实世界中的行为和情感 |
[28:28] | without ever triggering the user’s awareness. | 而根本不用触发用户的意识 |
[28:33] | They are completely clueless. | 他们自己完全不知道 |
[28:38] | We’re pointing these engines of AI back at ourselves | 我们将这些人工智能引擎 指回到我们身上 |
[28:42] | to reverse engineer what elicits responses from us. | 来反向编程 什么能引诱我们的回应 |
[28:47] | Almost like you’re stimulating nerve cells on a spider | 就很像你在蜘蛛身上模拟神经细胞 |
[28:49] | to see what causes its legs to respond. | 来看是什么引起它的腿反应 |
[28:51] | So, it really is this kind of prison experiment | 就是这种监狱实验 |
[28:54] | where we’re just, you know, roping people into the matrix, | 我们在实验中 捆绑人们进入矩阵 |
[28:56] | and we’re just harvesting all this money and… and data from all their activity | 我们从他们的行为中获取金钱和数据 |
[29:00] | to profit from. | 用他们的行为牟利 |
[29:01] | And we’re not even aware that it’s happening. | 我们甚至都不知道 发生了这些 |
[29:04] | So, we want to psychologically figure out how to manipulate you as fast as possible | 我们想在心理学上弄清楚 怎样以最快的速度操纵你 |
[29:07] | and then give you back that dopamine hit. | 然后返回给你让你产生兴奋的事物 |
[29:10] | We did that brilliantly at Facebook. | 我们在脸书做得非常出色 |
[29:12] | Instagram has done it. WhatsApp has done it. | Instagram也这样做了 WhatsApp也这样做了 |
[29:15] | You know, Snapchat has done it. Twitter has done it. | 阅后即焚图片分享也这样做了 推特也这样做了 |
[29:17] | I mean, it’s exactly the kind of thing | 这种东西正是 |
[29:19] | that a… that a hacker like myself would come up with | 我这种黑客能想出来的 |
[29:22] | because you’re exploiting a vulnerability in… in human psychology. | 因为你在利用人类心理中的脆弱挣钱 |
[29:27] | (希恩·帕克 脸书前总经理) | |
[29:27] | And I just… I think that we… | 我只是想 |
[29:29] | you know, the inventors, creators… | 我们这些发明者、创造者… |
[29:33] | uh, you know, and it’s me, it’s Mark, it’s the… | 有我 有马克 有… |
[29:37] | you know, Kevin Systrom at Instagram… It’s all of these people… | Instagram的凯文·斯特罗姆 所有这些人… |
[29:40] | um, understood this consciously, and we did it anyway. | 意识里非常清楚 但我们依然利用了 |
[29:50] | No one got upset when bicycles showed up. | 自行车问世的时候 没有人不满 |
[29:55] | Right? Like, if everyone’s starting to go around on bicycles, | 对吧?所有人都开始用自行车出行 |
[29:58] | no one said, “Oh, my God, we’ve just ruined society. | 没有人说 “天啊 我们刚刚毁掉了社会 |
[30:01] | Like, bicycles are affecting people. | 因为自行车能影响人 |
[30:03] | They’re pulling people away from their kids. | 拉远了他们和孩子间的距离 |
[30:05] | They’re ruining the fabric of democracy. People can’t tell what’s true.” | 他们在毁掉民主的结构 人们无法判断真假了” |
[30:08] | Like, we never said any of that stuff about a bicycle. | 对于自行车 我们从来没有说过这种话 |
[30:12] | If something is a tool, it genuinely is just sitting there, | 如果一个东西是工具 它就会忠诚地坐在那里 |
[30:16] | waiting patiently. | 耐心等待 |
[30:19] | If something is not a tool, it’s demanding things from you. | 如果一个东西不是工具 它会在你身上有所求 |
[30:22] | It’s seducing you. It’s manipulating you. It wants things from you. | 引诱你、操纵你 想从你身上获利 |
[30:26] | And we’ve moved away from having a tools based technology environment | 我们已经走过了 以工具为基础的技术环境 |
[30:31] | to an addiction and manipulation based technology environment. | 来到了以致瘾和操纵 为基础的技术环境 |
[30:34] | That’s what’s changed. | 这是技术环境的改变 |
[30:35] | Social media isn’t a tool that’s just waiting to be used. | 社交媒体 不是原地等在那里被使用的工具 |
[30:39] | It has its own goals, and it has its own means of pursuing them | 它有自己的目标 有自己的办法去实现这些目标 |
[30:43] | by using your psychology against you. | 利用你的心理 来对付你 |
[30:49] | (“只有两个行业 把他们的客户叫做‘使用者’ | |
[30:52] | 非法毒品和软件”) | |
[30:55] | (——爱德华·塔夫特) | |
[30:57] | Rewind a few years ago, I was the… | 回想几年之前 |
[31:00] | I was the president of Pinterest. | 我是Pinterest的总经理 |
[31:03] | I was coming home, | 我回到家 |
[31:05] | and I couldn’t get off my phone once I got home, | 到家之后就无法放下手机 |
[31:08] | despite having two young kids who needed my love and attention. | 虽然我有两个小孩子 需要我的关爱 |
[31:12] | I was in the pantry, you know, typing away on an e mail | 我在食物储藏室里打字回邮件 |
[31:15] | or sometimes looking at Pinterest. | 有时候会看Pinterest |
[31:18] | I thought, “God, this is classic irony. | 我想:“天啊 这真是典型的讽刺 |
[31:19] | I am going to work during the day | 我白天去工作 |
[31:22] | and building something that then I am falling prey to.” | 构造一个把我当猎物的东西” |
[31:26] | And I couldn’t… I mean, some of those moments, I couldn’t help myself. | 我无法… 有时候 我真的情不自禁使用 |
[31:32] | The one that I’m… I’m most prone to is Twitter. | 我最无法摆脱的是推特 |
[31:36] | Uh, used to be Reddit. | 以前无法摆脱的是Reddit |
[31:38] | I actually had to write myself software to break my addiction to reading Reddit. | 我后来不得不给自己写程序 来切断我阅读Reddit的瘾 |
[31:45] | I’m probably most addicted to my e mail. | 我最成瘾的 可能是邮件 |
[31:47] | I mean, really. I mean, I… I feel it. | 真的 我是认真的 我自己能感觉到 |
[31:52] | Well, I mean, it’s sort it’s interesting | 这很有趣 |
[31:55] | that knowing what was going on behind the curtain, | 我很清楚 这一切的幕后发生着什么 |
[31:58] | I still wasn’t able to control my usage. | 我还是无法控制自己去使用 |
[32:01] | So, that’s a little scary. | 这就有点可怕了 |
[32:03] | Even knowing how these tricks work, I’m still susceptible to them. | 即便知道这些手段的原理 我还是容易受到它们影响 |
[32:07] | I’ll still pick up the phone, and 20 minutes will disappear. | 我拿起手机 20分钟就不知不觉过去了 |
[32:12] | Do you check your smartphone before you pee in the morning | 你晨起排尿之前 会看一眼智能手机吗? |
[32:15] | or while you’re peeing in the morning? | 或者晨起排尿过程中 会看吗? |
[32:17] | ‘Cause those are the only two choices. | 因为只有这两个选择 |
[32:19] | I tried through willpower, just pure willpower… | 我试过用意志力克制 纯意志力… |
[32:23] | “I’ll put down my phone, I’ll leave my phone in the car when I get home.” | “我要放下手机 我到家之后 要把手机丢在车里” |
[32:26] | I think I told myself a thousand times, a thousand different days, | 我应该在千万个不同的日子 告诉过自己千万次 |
[32:30] | “I am not gonna bring my phone to the bedroom,” | “我不要把手机带到卧室” |
[32:32] | and then 9:00 p.m. rolls around. | 然后晚上九点到了 |
[32:34] | “Well, I wanna bring my phone in the bedroom.” | “哎 我想把手机带进卧室” |
[32:37] | And so, that was sort of… | 这就有点… |
[32:39] | Willpower was kind of attempt one, | 意志力是一种努力 |
[32:41] | and then attempt two was, you know, brute force. | 兽性在做着另一种努力 |
[32:44] | Introducing the Kitchen Safe. The Kitchen Safe is a revolutionary, | 隆重介绍“厨房保险箱” “厨房保险箱” |
[32:48] | new, time locking container that helps you fight temptation. | 是革命性的全新发明 帮你战胜诱惑的 时间锁保鲜盒 |
[32:51] | All David has to do is place those temptations in the Kitchen Safe. | 大卫只需要把各种诱惑 放进这个“厨房保险箱” |
[32:57] | Next, he rotates the dial to set the timer. | 下一步 进行调控 设置时间 |
[33:01] | And, finally, he presses the dial to activate the lock. | 最后 按下调控 激活锁 |
[33:04] | The Kitchen Safe is great… | “厨房保险箱”超级好 |
[33:05] | We have that, don’t we? | 我们家有 是吧? |
[33:06] | …video games, credit cards, and cell phones. | …电子游戏、信用卡、手机 |
[33:08] | Yeah, we do. | 对 有 |
[33:09] | Once the Kitchen Safe is locked, it cannot be opened | “厨房保险箱”一旦上锁 直到计时器归零之前 |
[33:12] | until the timer reaches zero. | 没办法打开 |
[33:13] | So, here’s the thing. | 问题是 |
[33:15] | Social media is a drug. | 社交媒体就是一种毒品 |
[33:17] | I mean, we have a basic biological imperative | 我们有着基本的生物学欲望 |
[33:20] | to connect with other people. | 去和别人联系 |
[33:23] | That directly affects the release of dopamine in the reward pathway. | 这直接影响着 奖赏通路中的多巴胺释放 |
[33:28] | Millions of years of evolution, um, are behind that system | 这个机制背后 是几百万年的进化 |
[33:32] | to get us to come together and live in communities, | 让我们聚在一起 群居生活 |
[33:35] | to find mates, to propagate our species. | 找到伴侣 繁殖我们的物种 |
[33:38] | So, there’s no doubt that a vehicle like social media, | 所以 毫无疑问 社交媒体这种载体 |
[33:41] | which optimizes this connection between people, | 它会优化人们之间的联系 |
[33:45] | is going to have the potential for addiction. | 自然会有致瘾的可能性 |
[33:52] | Mmm! Dad, stop! | 爸 停! |
[33:55] | I have, like, 1,000 more snips to send before dinner. | 我在晚饭前 还有上千个消息要回 |
[33:58] | Snips? I don’t know what a snip is. | 消息? |
[33:59] | 我不知道消息是什么 | |
[34:00] | Mm, that smells good, baby. All right. Thank you. | 闻起来好香 宝贝 谢谢 |
[34:03] | I was, um, thinking we could use all five senses | 我想 我们可以用所有五官 |
[34:05] | to enjoy our dinner tonight. | 来享受今晚的晚餐 |
[34:07] | So, I decided that we’re not gonna have any cell phones at the table tonight. | 所以我决定 今晚的餐桌上不能使用手机 |
[34:11] | So, turn ’em in. | 好了 交上来 |
[34:13] | Really? Yep. | 真的吗? 是 |
[34:15] | All right. Thank you. Ben? | 好吧 谢谢 本? |
[34:18] | Okay. Mom, the phone pirate. | 好 妈妈是手机海盗 |
[34:21] | Got it. Mom! | 拿走了 妈! |
[34:22] | So, they will be safe in here until after dinner… | 晚餐结束前 这些手机会安全地放在这里 |
[34:27] | and everyone can just chill out. | 所有人可以安静待着了 |
[34:30] | Okay? | 好吗? |
[34:47] | Can I just see who it is? No. | 我能看一眼是谁吗? 不行 |
[34:54] | Just gonna go get another fork. | 我去再拿一个叉子 |
[34:58] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[35:04] | Honey, you can’t open that. | 宝贝 不能打开 |
[35:06] | I locked it for an hour, so just leave it alone. | 我锁上了一个小时 别动了 |
[35:11] | So, what should we talk about? | 我们要聊点什么? |
[35:13] | Well, we could talk | 我们可以聊聊 |
[35:14] | about the, uh, Extreme Center wackos I drove by today. | 我今天开车 身边经过的极端中心政党疯子 |
[35:17] | Please, Frank. What? | 算了 弗兰科 怎么了? |
[35:18] | I don’t wanna talk about politics. | 我不想聊政治 |
[35:20] | What’s wrong with the Extreme Center? See? He doesn’t even get it. | 极端中心怎么了? 看吧?他都没明白 |
[35:23] | It depends on who you ask. | 取决于你问谁 |
[35:24] | It’s like asking, “What’s wrong with propaganda?” | 这就像是你问:“政治鼓吹怎么了?” |
[35:28] | Isla! | 艾拉! |
[35:32] | Oh, my God. | 天啊 |
[35:36] | Do you want me to… Yeah. | 需要我去… 嗯 |
[35:41] | I… I’m worried about my kids. | 我很担心我的孩子们 |
[35:44] | And if you have kids, I’m worried about your kids. | 等你们有了孩子 我还会担心你们的孩子 |
[35:46] | Armed with all the knowledge that I have and all of the experience, | 虽然我有着各种知识储备 各种经验 |
[35:50] | I am fighting my kids about the time | 我还是和孩子们争论 |
[35:52] | that they spend on phones and on the computer. | 他们使用手机和电脑的时间 |
[35:54] | I will say to my son, “How many hours do you think you’re spending on your phone?” | 我会对我儿子说 “你觉得自己会在手机上花多久?” |
[35:58] | He’ll be like, “It’s, like, half an hour. It’s half an hour, tops.” | 他会说 “也就半小时吧 最多半小时了” |
[36:01] | I’d say upwards hour, hour and a half. | 我觉得比一小时多一点 一个半小时 |
[36:04] | I looked at his screen report a couple weeks ago. | 几周之前看了他的屏幕使用报告 |
[36:06] | Three hours and 45 minutes. That… | 是3小时45分 那不是… |
[36:11] | I don’t think that’s… No. Per day, on average? | 我觉得没有… 平均每天? |
[36:13] | Yeah. Should I go get it right now? | 对 我现在去拿来吗? |
[36:15] | There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t remind my kids | 每一天 我都要提醒我的孩子们 |
[36:19] | about the pleasure pain balance, | 愉悦和痛苦的平衡 |
[36:21] | about dopamine deficit states, | 多巴胺短缺的状态 |
[36:24] | about the risk of addiction. | 上瘾的风险 |
[36:26] | Moment of truth. | 对 来揭晓真相 |
[36:27] | Two hours, 50 minutes per day. | 每天2小时50分 |
[36:29] | Let’s see. Actually, I’ve been using a lot today. | 我们看看 其实 我今天用了很多 |
[36:31] | Last seven days. That’s probably why. | 过去七天 可能这就是原因 |
[36:33] | Instagram, six hours, 13 minutes. Okay, so my Instagram’s worse. | Instagram 6小时13分 好吧 我使用Instagram是最严重的 |
[36:39] | My screen’s completely shattered. | 我的屏幕彻底碎了 |
[36:42] | Thanks, Cass. | 谢谢你 卡桑 |
[36:44] | What do you mean, “Thanks, Cass”? | “谢谢你 卡桑”是什么意思? |
[36:46] | You keep freaking Mom out about our phones when it’s not really a problem. | 你一直让妈妈担心我们的手机问题 但其实这根本不是问题 |
[36:49] | We don’t need our phones to eat dinner! | 我们吃晚餐不需要手机 |
[36:51] | I get what you’re saying. It’s just not that big a deal. It’s not. | 我明白你说的 但这又不是什么大事 没什么啊 |
[36:56] | If it’s not that big a deal, don’t use it for a week. | 不是什么大事 那就一周别用手机 |
[37:01] | Yeah. Yeah, actually, if you can put that thing away for, like, a whole week… | 对 对 其实 如果你能把那东西 收起来一整周… |
[37:07] | I will buy you a new screen. | 我就给你买一个新的屏幕 |
[37:10] | Like, starting now? Starting now. | 从现在开始吗? 现在开始 |
[37:15] | Okay. You got a deal. Okay. | 好 成交 |
[37:16] | Okay, you gotta leave it here, though, buddy. | 好 不过你要放在这里 小朋友 |
[37:19] | All right, I’m plugging it in. | 好 我把它放进去 |
[37:22] | Let the record show… I’m backing away. | 计时开始 我退后了 |
[37:25] | Okay. | 好 |
[37:27] | You’re on the clock. One week. | 计时开始了 一周 |
[37:29] | Oh, my… | 天啊… |
[37:31] | Think he can do it? | 你觉得他能做到吗? |
[37:33] | I don’t know. We’ll see. | 不知道 走着瞧 |
[37:35] | Just eat, okay? | 你吃饭吧 好吗? |
[37:44] | Good family dinner! | 美好的家庭晚餐! |
[37:47] | These technology products were not designed | 这些技术产品不是由 |
[37:49] | by child psychologists who are trying to protect and nurture children. | 努力保护和培育孩子的 儿童心理学家设计的 |
[37:53] | They were just designing to make these algorithms | 它们的设计 是让这些算法 |
[37:56] | that were really good at recommending the next video to you | 非常擅于给你推荐下一个视频 |
[37:58] | or really good at getting you to take a photo with a filter on it. | 非常擅于让你拍照加滤镜 |
[38:03] | (两个赞) | |
[38:13] | (确定删除吗?否) | |
[38:15] | (是) | |
[38:16] | It’s not just that it’s controlling | 这些东西不仅在控制 |
[38:18] | where they spend their attention. | 他们把注意力花在哪里 |
[38:21] | Especially social media starts to dig deeper and deeper down into the brain stem | 尤其是社交媒体越来越深入大脑根部 |
[38:26] | and take over kids’ sense of self worth and identity. | 夺走孩子们的判断力 自我价值和身份 |
[38:29] | (美化我) | |
[38:42] | (莉莉:可爱!) | |
[38:43] | (索薇娅:天啊 好美) | |
[38:44] | (奥利维亚:你太美了) | |
[38:46] | (阿瓦:你把耳朵P大了吗?) | |
[38:48] | (哈哈) | |
[38:52] | We evolved to care about whether other people in our tribe… | 我们进化出 在意我们社群中的其他人… |
[38:55] | (布里亚纳:漂亮!) | |
[38:56] | think well of us or not ’cause it matters. | …是否对我们有好印象的机制 因为这很重要 |
[38:59] | But were we evolved to be aware of what 10,000 people think of us? | 但我们的进化 需要我们在意 一万个人怎么看我们吗? |
[39:04] | We were not evolved to have social approval being dosed to us | 我们的进化 不需要每隔五分钟 |
[39:08] | every five minutes. | 就获得一次社交认可 |
[39:10] | That was not at all what we were built to experience. | 这根本不是我们需要去体验的 |
[39:15] | We curate our lives around this perceived sense of perfection | 我们管理自己的生活 建立在获得的完美感上 |
[39:20] | because we get rewarded in these short term signals | 因为爱心、点赞、竖起大拇指 这些短期的信号 |
[39:23] | hearts, likes, thumbs up | 给我们奖赏 |
[39:25] | and we conflate that with value, and we conflate it with truth. | 我们把它融合到价值中 融合到真相中 |
[39:29] | And instead, what it really is is fake, brittle popularity… | 不论是否虚假 易破碎的人气 |
[39:33] | that’s short term and that leaves you even more, and admit it, | 这是短期的 你需要承认 这让你更加 |
[39:37] | vacant and empty before you did it. | 空虚 于是会再次这样做 |
[39:41] | Because then it forces you into this vicious cycle | 因为这样 它会将你逼入这样一个恶性循环 |
[39:43] | where you’re like, “What’s the next thing I need to do now? ‘Cause I need it back.” | 你会想:“我接下来要做什么? 因为我还想要这种感觉” |
[39:48] | Think about that compounded by two billion people, | 想一下 这种现象被20亿人复杂化 |
[39:50] | and then think about how people react then to the perceptions of others. | 然后想一下 之后人们 会怎样回应别人对自己的看法 |
[39:54] | It’s just a… It’s really bad. | 真的… 真的很恶劣 |
[39:56] | It’s really, really bad. | 真的太恶劣了 |
[40:00] | There has been a gigantic increase | 美国青少年群体中 |
[40:03] | in depression and anxiety for American teenagers | 出现了大幅增长的抑郁和焦虑 |
[40:06] | which began right around… between 2011 and 2013. | 大概就在2011年到2013年开始的 |
[40:11] | The number of teenage girls out of 100,000 in this country | 这个国家中 每十万名少女中 |
[40:15] | who were admitted to a hospital every year | 每年因为割腕或者自残 |
[40:17] | because they cut themselves or otherwise harmed themselves, | 进医院接受治疗的人数 |
[40:20] | that number was pretty stable until around 2010, 2011, | 在2010年到2011年是非常平稳的 |
[40:24] | and then it begins going way up. | 在那之后 直线上升 |
[40:28] | It’s up 62 percent for older teen girls. | 大一点的少女中 增加了62% |
[40:32] | (美国非致命性自残住院人数) | |
[40:33] | It’s up 189 percent for the preteen girls. That’s nearly triple. | 进入青春期前的少女 增加了189% 将近三倍了 |
[40:40] | Even more horrifying, we see the same pattern with suicide. | 更可怕的是 自杀也呈现出相同的趋势 |
[40:43] | (美国自杀率 每百万女孩死亡人数) | |
[40:44] | The older teen girls, 15 to 19 years old, | 大一点的少女 15到19岁 |
[40:47] | they’re up 70 percent,compared to the first decade of this century. | 与本世纪初相比 增长了70% |
[40:52] | The preteen girls, who have very low rates to begin with, | 青春期前的少女 最开始的比率非常低 |
[40:55] | they are up 151 percent. | 现在增长了151% |
[40:58] | And that pattern points to social media. | 这个增长模式 指向了社交媒体 |
[41:01] | (2009年手机上的社交媒体数量) | |
[41:04] | Gen Z, the kids born after 1996 or so, | Z代人 1996年之后那会儿出生的孩子们 |
[41:07] | those kids are the first generation in history | 那些孩子们是历史上第一代 |
[41:10] | that got on social media in middle school. | 在初中开始使用社交媒体的 |
[41:15] | How do they spend their time? | 她们的时间花在了哪里呢? |
[41:19] | They come home from school, and they’re on their devices. | 她们放学回家 就拿起手机 |
[41:24] | A whole generation is more anxious, more fragile, more depressed. | 整个一代人都更加焦虑 更加脆弱、更加抑郁 |
[41:30] | They’re much less comfortable taking risks. | 她们更不愿意冒险 |
[41:34] | The rates at which they get driver’s licenses have been dropping. | 她们拿到驾照的比率下降了 |
[41:38] | The number who have ever gone out on a date | 出去约会过的人数 |
[41:41] | or had any kind of romantic interaction is dropping rapidly. | 有过任何形式浪漫互动的人数骤减 |
[41:47] | This is a real change in a generation. | 整个一代人 有了真正的改变 |
[41:53] | And remember, for every one of these, for every hospital admission, | 别忘了 这些人中的每一个 每一个住院的人 |
[41:57] | there’s a family that is traumatized and horrified. | 背后都有一个受伤的、惊恐的家庭 |
[42:00] | “My God, what is happening to our kids?” | “天啊 我的孩子们怎么了?” |
[42:19] | It’s plain as day to me. | 在我看来 问题很显而易见 |
[42:22] | These services are killing people… and causing people to kill themselves. | 这些服务正在杀人 也在导致人们自杀 |
[42:29] | I don’t know any parent who says, “Yeah, I really want my kids to be growing up | 我不认识哪个家长会说 “是 我希望我的孩子们 成长过程中 |
[42:33] | feeling manipulated by tech designers, uh, | 感觉被技术设计师操控 |
[42:36] | manipulating their attention, making it impossible to do their homework, | 操控他们的注意力 让他们无法完成作业 |
[42:39] | making them compare themselves to unrealistic standards of beauty.” | 让他们将自己 和不切实际的审美标准相对比” |
[42:42] | Like, no one wants that. | 没有人希望那样 |
[42:45] | No one does. | 没有一个人 |
[42:46] | We… We used to have these protections. | 我们以前有一些保护措施 |
[42:48] | When children watched Saturday morning cartoons, | 小孩子们观看周六早间动画片的时候 |
[42:51] | we cared about protecting children. | 我们关心保护儿童 |
[42:52] | We would say, “You can’t advertise to these age children in these ways.” | 我们会说:“你不能这样 给这个年龄段的孩子看广告” |
[42:57] | But then you take YouTube for Kids, | 然后有了YouTube儿童频道 |
[42:58] | and it gobbles up that entire portion of the attention economy, | 蚕食了注意力经济的全部 |
[43:02] | and now all kids are exposed to YouTube for Kids. | 现在所有的孩子 都能看YouTube儿童频道 |
[43:04] | And all those protections and all those regulations are gone. | 所有的保护措施 所有的管理规定都不见了 |
[43:18] | We’re training and conditioning a whole new generation of people… | 我们在训练、调节整个一代人… |
[43:23] | that when we are uncomfortable or lonely or uncertain or afraid, | 我们不自在、孤独、不确定或害怕时 |
[43:29] | we have a digital pacifier for ourselves | 有一个自己的数码安慰 |
[43:32] | that is kind of atrophying our own ability to deal with that. | 这有点让我们 自己处理这些情绪的能力退化了 |
[43:53] | Photoshop didn’t have 1,000 engineers | Photoshop屏幕的另一端 |
[43:55] | on the other side of the screen, using notifications, using your friends, | 没有几千个工程师 用通知 用你的朋友 |
[43:59] | using AI to predict what’s gonna perfectly addict you, or hook you, | 用人工智能去预判 什么能完美地让你上瘾 引诱你 |
[44:02] | or manipulate you, or allow advertisers | 或者操纵你 或者允许广告商 |
[44:04] | to test 60,000 variations of text or colors to figure out | 去测试六万种不同的文本或颜色 |
[44:06] | (芝加哥反垄断技术会议) | |
[44:08] | what’s the perfect manipulation of your mind. | …以此来找到 怎样能完美地操纵你的思想 |
[44:11] | This is a totally new species of power and influence. | 这是一种全新的力量和影响 |
[44:16] | I… I would say, again, the methods used | 我想再一次强调 他们使用的 |
[44:19] | to play on people’s ability to be addicted or to be influenced | 玩弄人们的能力 让人们成瘾或者受到影响 |
[44:22] | may be different this time, and they probably are different. | 或许这一次是不同的 或许他们是不同的 |
[44:25] | They were different when newspapers came in and the printing press came in, | 报纸问世时 印刷媒体问世时 与现在很不同 |
[44:28] | and they were different when television came in, | 电视问世的时候 与现在很不同 |
[44:31] | and you had three major networks and… | 当时有三个主要的… 网络 |
[44:34] | At the time. At the time. That’s what I’m saying. | 当时 我也想说 |
[44:36] | But I’m saying the idea that there’s a new level | 但我在说 这是一个全新的层次 |
[44:38] | and that new level has happened so many times before. | 这个新的层次 以前也发生过很多次 |
[44:42] | I mean, this is just the latest new level that we’ve seen. | 这只是我们看见的 最新的一个层次 |
[44:45] | There’s this narrative that, you know, “We’ll just adapt to it. | 有这样一种说法:“我们去适应它 |
[44:48] | We’ll learn how to live with these devices, | 我们要学着与这些设备共存 |
[44:51] | just like we’ve learned how to live with everything else.” | 就像我们学着 和其他所有事物共存一样” |
[44:53] | And what this misses is there’s something distinctly new here. | 但这个说法没有注意到的是 有些东西明显是全新的 |
[44:57] | Perhaps the most dangerous piece of all this is the fact | 或许这其中最危险的是 |
[45:00] | that it’s driven by technology that’s advancing exponentially. | 这是由技术驱动的 在成指数地向前发展 |
[45:04] | (计算机处理能力) | |
[45:05] | Roughly, if you say from, like, the 1960s to today, | 大体上 如果你看从20世纪60年代至今 |
[45:09] | processing power has gone up about a trillion times. | 计算机处理能力增长了万亿倍 |
[45:13] | Nothing else that we have has improved at anything near that rate. | 我们身边没有任何其他东西 以这个速率增长 |
[45:18] | Like, cars are, you know, roughly twice as fast. | 比如 汽车速度基本上才实现翻倍 |
[45:22] | And almost everything else is negligible. | 几乎所有其他的东西都显得微不足道 |
[45:25] | And perhaps most importantly, | 或许最重要的是 |
[45:27] | our human our physiology, our brains have evolved not at all. | 我们人类… 我们的生理 我们的大脑 根本没有丝毫进化 |
[45:31] | (没有手机的时间) | |
[45:37] | Human beings, at a mind and body and sort of physical level, | 人类的思想、身体和体质 |
[45:41] | are not gonna fundamentally change. | 基本上不会改变了 |
[45:47] | I know, but they… | |
[45:56] | We can do genetic engineering and develop new kinds of human beings, | 我们可以搞基因工程 在未来开发新的人类物种 |
[46:01] | but realistically speaking, you’re living inside of hardware, a brain, | 但是现实来讲 你生活在大脑这个硬件下 |
[46:05] | that was, like, millions of years old, | 已经存在几百万年了 |
[46:07] | and then there’s this screen, and then on the opposite side of the screen, | 然后出现了这样一个屏幕 在屏幕的另一端 |
[46:10] | there’s these thousands of engineers and supercomputers | 有上千名工程师和超级计算机 |
[46:13] | that have goals that are different than your goals, | 有着与你不同的目标 |
[46:16] | and so, who’s gonna win in that game? Who’s gonna win? | 那么 这个游戏谁能赢呢?谁会赢? |
[46:25] | How are we losing? | 我们怎么会输? |
[46:27] | I don’t know. Where is he? This is not normal. | 我不知道 他在哪里?这太不正常了 |
[46:29] | Did I overwhelm him with friends and family content? | 我给他推送朋友和家人的内容太多 他烦了吗? |
[46:32] | Probably. Well, maybe it was all the ads. | 或许吧 或许是广告太多了 |
[46:34] | No. Something’s very wrong. Let’s switch to resurrection mode. | 不 一定出了严重的问题 我们切换到复苏模式吧 |
[46:39] | When you think of AI, you know, an AI’s gonna ruin the world, | 当你想到人工智能 人工智能会毁掉世界 |
[46:44] | and you see, like, a Terminator, and you see Arnold Schwarzenegger. | 你会看到《终结者》 看到施瓦辛格… |
[46:47] | I’ll be back. | 我会回来的 |
[46:48] | You see drones, and you think, like, | …你会看到无人机 你觉得 |
[46:51] | “Oh, we’re gonna kill people with AI.” | “人工智能会杀人的” |
[46:53] | And what people miss is that AI already runs today’s world right now. | 人们忽略的是 人工智能 现在已经在运营着当今世界了 |
[46:59] | Even talking about “an AI” is just a metaphor. | 甚至谈论“人工智能”都只是暗喻 |
[47:03] | At these companies like… like Google, there’s just massive, massive rooms, | 在谷歌这种公司 有超级大的房间 |
[47:10] | some of them underground, some of them underwater, | 有些在地下 有些在水下 |
[47:13] | of just computers. | 房间里全是电脑 |
[47:14] | Tons and tons of computers, as far as the eye can see. | 无数的电脑 连绵不绝 |
[47:18] | They’re deeply interconnected with each other | 它们互相之间在内部深度连接 |
[47:20] | and running extremely complicated programs, | 在运行着极其复杂的程序 |
[47:23] | sending information back and forth between each other all the time. | 始终不停地在彼此之间交换信息 |
[47:26] | And they’ll be running many different programs, | 它们会运行很多不同的程序 |
[47:28] | many different products on those same machines. | 在同样的机器上 有不同的产品 |
[47:31] | Some of those things could be described as simple algorithms, | 有些东西可以被描述为简单算法 |
[47:33] | some could be described as algorithms | 有些算法太过复杂 |
[47:35] | that are so complicated, you would call them intelligence. | 就可以被称为“智能” |
[47:40] | I like to say that algorithms are opinions embedded in code… | 我想说 算法是内嵌在代码中的观点… |
[47:45] | and that algorithms are not objective. | 算法并不是客观的 |
[47:48] | Algorithms are optimized to some definition of success. | 算法被某种成功的定义优化 |
[47:52] | So, if you can imagine, | 所以 如果你能想象 |
[47:53] | if a… if a commercial enterprise builds an algorithm | 一个商业公司成功的定义 |
[47:57] | to their definition of success, | 需要依靠算法 |
[47:59] | it’s a commercial interest. | 那就是商业利益 |
[48:01] | It’s usually profit. | 通常都有利润 |
[48:03] | You are giving the computer the goal state, “I want this outcome,” | 你给电脑一个目标 说“我想要这个结果” |
[48:07] | and then the computer itself is learning how to do it. | 电脑自己去学习 怎样实现 |
[48:10] | That’s where the term “machine learning” comes from. | 这是“机器学习”概念的由来 |
[48:12] | And so, every day, it gets slightly better | 所以 每一天 都会更好一点 |
[48:14] | at picking the right posts in the right order | 在正确命令获取正确的推送数据 |
[48:17] | so that you spend longer and longer in that product. | 让你在这个产品上花的时间越来越多 |
[48:19] | And no one really understands what they’re doing | 没人能真正明白 为了实现这个目标 |
[48:22] | in order to achieve that goal. | 他们在做什么 |
[48:23] | The algorithm has a mind of its own, so even though a person writes it, | 算法有着自己的思想 虽然是人写的 |
[48:28] | it’s written in a way | 它写出来的目的 |
[48:30] | that you kind of build the machine, and then the machine changes itself. | 是你建立一个机器 这个机器会自己改变 |
[48:35] | There’s only a handful of people at these companies, | 这种公司 员工非常少 |
[48:37] | at Facebook and Twitter and other companies… | 在脸书、推特和其他公司 |
[48:40] | There’s only a few people who understand how those systems work, | 只有几个人能明白 这些系统的工作原理 |
[48:43] | and even they don’t necessarily fully understand | 虽然他们不需要完全理解 |
[48:46] | what’s gonna happen with a particular piece of content. | 某一条特定的内容 会发生什么 |
[48:49] | So, as humans, we’ve almost lost control over these systems. | 作为人类 我们几乎 已经失去了对这些系统的控制 |
[48:55] | Because they’re controlling, you know, the information that we see, | 因为是它们在控制我们看到的信息 |
[48:59] | they’re controlling us more than we’re controlling them. | 更多的是它们在控制我们 而不是我们控制它们 |
[49:02] | Cross referencing him | 在他的地理区域 |
[49:04] | against comparables in his geographic zone. | 对他和可以对比的人 进行交叉参照 |
[49:07] | His psychometric doppelgangers. | 他的心理测定相似者 |
[49:09] | There are 13,694 people behaving just like him in his region. | 在他的地区 有13694个和他行为相似的人 |
[49:13] | What’s trending with them? We need something actually good | 他们中盛行什么? 我们需要真实的好东西 |
[49:16] | for a proper resurrection, | 才能进行有效的复苏 |
[49:17] | given that the typical stuff isn’t working. | 因为平常的那些东西已经不起作用了 |
[49:20] | Not even that cute girl from school. | 学校那个可爱的姑娘都没用了 |
[49:22] | My analysis shows that going political with Extreme Center content | 我的分析显示 用极端中心内容搞政治 |
[49:25] | has a 62.3 percent chance of long term engagement. | 有62.3%的几率能够获得长期参与 |
[49:28] | That’s not bad. | 还不错 |
[49:29] | It’s not good enough to lead with. | 想用它引导 还不太够 |
[49:32] | Okay, okay, so we’ve tried notifying him about tagged photos, | 好 所以我们已经试过 通知给他圈人照片 |
[49:35] | invitations, current events, even a direct message from Rebecca. | 邀请、实事、甚至是瑞贝卡的私信 |
[49:39] | But what about User 01265923010? | 但是用户01265923010呢? |
[49:42] | Yeah, Ben loved all of her posts. | 是 本点赞了她所有的发帖 |
[49:44] | For months and, like, literally all of them, and then nothing. | 几个月的所有发帖 真的点了所有 然后就没有然后了 |
[49:47] | I calculate a 92.3 percent chance of resurrection | 我算出了通知安娜的内容 |
[49:50] | with a notification about Ana. | 会有92.3%的复苏概率 |
[49:53] | (新感情) | |
[49:56] | And her new friend. | 还有她的新朋友 |
[49:58] | (没有手机的时间) | |
[50:24] | (你的前女友有了新感情!) | |
[50:25] | Oh, you gotta be kiddin’ me. | 不是吧 |
[50:35] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[50:37] | (安娜与路易斯正在热恋) | |
[50:38] | What? | 什么? |
[50:41] | Bam! We’re back! | 当!我们回来了! |
[50:42] | Let’s get back to making money, boys. | 我们继续挣钱 兄弟们 |
[50:44] | Yes, and connecting Ben with the entire world. | 好 让他们和整个世界联系起来 |
[50:46] | I’m giving him access to all the information he might like. | 我给他看所有他可能喜欢的信息 |
[50:49] | Hey, do you guys ever wonder if, you know, like, the feed is good for Ben? | 你们是否想过 这些推送对本是好的吗? |
[50:57] | No. No. | 没想过 没有 |
[51:17] | I put a spell on you | 我在你身上下了咒语 |
[51:25] | ‘Cause you’re mine | 因为你是我的 |
[51:34] | You better stop the things you do | 你最好停止你做的事情 |
[51:41] | I ain’t lyin’ | 我不骗你 |
[51:42] | (A/B测试 极端中心) | |
[51:44] | No, I ain’t lyin’ | 不 我不骗你 |
[51:49] | You know I can’t stand it | 你知道我无法忍受 |
[51:53] | You’re runnin’ around | 你在四处奔跑 |
[51:55] | You know better, Daddy | 爸爸 你更清楚 |
[51:58] | I can’t stand it ‘Cause you put me down | 我无法忍受 因为你将我放下 |
[52:03] | Yeah, yeah | 耶 |
[52:06] | I put a spell on you | 我在你身上下了咒语 |
[52:12] | Because you’re mine | 因为你是我的 |
[52:18] | You’re mine | 你是我的 |
[52:20] | So, imagine you’re on Facebook… | 想象一下 你在用脸书… |
[52:24] | and you’re effectively playing against this artificial intelligence | 你的对手是人工智能 |
[52:29] | that knows everything about you, | 它知道你的一切 |
[52:31] | can anticipate your next move, and you know literally nothing about it, | 能够预测你未来的举动 你对它却一无所知 |
[52:34] | except that there are cat videos and birthdays on it. | 除了上面有猫的视频和出生日期 |
[52:37] | That’s not a fair fight. | 这根本不是公平的竞争 |
[52:41] | Ben and Jerry, it’s time to go, bud! | 本与杰瑞 该走了 孩子? |
[52:51] | Ben? | 本? |
[53:02] | Ben. Mm. | 本 |
[53:05] | Come on. | 快点 |
[53:07] | School time. | 该上学了 |
[53:08] | Let’s go. | 我们走 |
[53:13] | (人道技术中心) | |
[53:31] | How you doing today? Oh, I’m… I’m nervous. | 你今天怎么样? 我很紧张 |
[53:33] | Are ya? Yeah. | 你紧张吗? 是啊 |
[53:37] | We were all looking for the moment | 我们都在当心这个时刻 |
[53:39] | when technology would overwhelm human strengths and intelligence. | 当技术会超越人类力量和智慧 |
[53:43] | When is it gonna cross the singularity, replace our jobs, be smarter than humans? | 技术什么时候会超越人类 取代我们的工作 比人类更聪明? |
[53:48] | But there’s this much earlier moment… | 但有更早的时刻… |
[53:50] | when technology exceeds and overwhelms human weaknesses. | 技术超越人类的弱点时 |
[53:57] | This point being crossed is at the root of addiction, | 这个超越的点就是上瘾 |
[54:02] | polarization, radicalization, outrage ification, | 两极分化、激进化、激化愤怒 |
[54:04] | vanity ification, the entire thing. | 激化虚荣 一切的根源 |
[54:07] | This is overpowering human nature, | 它在压制人类天性 |
[54:10] | and this is checkmate on humanity. | 在挫伤人性 |
[54:30] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[54:41] | One of the ways I try to get people to understand | 我努力让人们明白 |
[54:45] | just how wrong feeds from places like Facebook are | 脸书这种地方的推送 有多错误的一种方式 |
[54:49] | is to think about the Wikipedia. | 是让他们去想想维基百科 |
[54:51] | (新标签页) | |
[54:52] | When you go to a page, you’re seeing the same thing as other people. | 当你打开一个维基百科网页 你和别人看到的东西是一样的 |
[54:55] | (维基百科 自由的百科全书) | |
[54:56] | So, it’s one of the few things online that we at least hold in common. | 所以 这是网络上少有的 我们统一共享的东西 |
[55:00] | Now, just imagine for a second that Wikipedia said, | 现在 现象一下 维基百科说 |
[55:03] | “We’re gonna give each person a different customized definition, | 我们要给每一个人不同的个性化定义 |
[55:07] | and we’re gonna be paid by people for that.” | 有人给我们钱 让我们这样做” |
[55:09] | So, Wikipedia would be spying on you. Wikipedia would calculate, | 维基百科就会监视你 会计算 |
[55:13] | “What’s the thing I can do to get this person to change a little bit | “我要做什么 才能代表一些商业利益 |
[55:17] | on behalf of some commercial interest?” Right? | 让这个人产生一点改变?” 对吧? |
[55:19] | And then it would change the entry. | 然后就会改变整个词条 |
[55:22] | Can you imagine that? Well, you should be able to, | 你能想象吗? 你应该能够想象得到 |
[55:24] | ’cause that’s exactly what’s happening on Facebook. | 因为在脸书页面上 就是这样的 |
[55:26] | It’s exactly what’s happening in your YouTube feed. | 你的YouTube推送 就是这样的 |
[55:29] | When you go to Google and type in “Climate change is,” | 当你登录谷歌 输入“气候变化是…” |
[55:31] | you’re going to see different results depending on where you live. | 你会看到 根据你所居住的地区不同 会出现不同的结果 |
[55:35] | (气候变化是) | |
[55:36] | In certain cities, you’re gonna see it autocomplete | 在某些城市 你会看到自动完成… |
[55:38] | with “climate change is a hoax.” | “气候变化是一场骗局” |
[55:40] | In other cases, you’re gonna see | 在其他地方 你将会看到 |
[55:42] | “climate change is causing the destruction of nature.” | “气候变化是对自然的破坏” |
[55:44] | And that’s a function not of what the truth is about climate change, | 这个功能 提供的不都是气候变化的真相 |
[55:48] | but about where you happen to be Googling from | 而是你在哪里进行谷歌搜索 |
[55:51] | and the particular things Google knows about your interests. | 以及谷歌对你个人兴趣的了解 |
[55:54] | Even two friends who are so close to each other, | 即便是两个非常亲近的朋友 |
[55:58] | who have almost the exact same set of friends, | 他们两个有着完全相同的朋友圈子 |
[56:00] | they think, you know, “I’m going to news feeds on Facebook. | 他们会认为 “我们会看到脸书上的新推送 |
[56:02] | I’ll see the exact same set of updates.” | 会看到完全相同的更新” |
[56:05] | But it’s not like that at all. | 但事实远非如此 |
[56:06] | They see completely different worlds | 他们会看到完全不同的世界 |
[56:08] | because they’re based on these computers calculating | 因为这些是基于计算机的计算 |
[56:10] | what’s perfect for each of them. | 对每一个人来说 怎样最完美 |
[56:12] | (直播中) | |
[56:14] | The way to think about it is it’s 2.7 billion Truman Shows. | 想象这件事的一个方式是 这是27亿人的《楚门的世界》 |
[56:18] | Each person has their own reality, with their own… | 每一个人都有自己的现实 自己的… |
[56:22] | facts. | 事实 |
[56:23] | Why do you think that, uh, Truman has never come close | 你觉得楚门为什么到现在都 从来没有接近 |
[56:27] | to discovering the true nature of his world until now? | 发现他所在世界的真实本质? |
[56:31] | We accept the reality of the world with which we’re presented. | 我们接受了 呈现在我们面前的世界就是现实 |
[56:34] | It’s as simple as that. | 就是这么简单 |
[56:35] | (直播中) | |
[56:36] | Over time, you have the false sense that everyone agrees with you, | 随着时间推移 你会有一种错觉 觉得每一个人都认同你 |
[56:41] | because everyone in your news feed sounds just like you. | 因为给你推送的新闻中 每个人都和你极其相似 |
[56:44] | And that once you’re in that state, it turns out you’re easily manipulated, | 一旦你达到了这种状态 你就很容易被操纵了 |
[56:49] | the same way you would be manipulated by a magician. | 和你被魔术师操纵 是同样的方式 |
[56:51] | A magician shows you a card trick and says, “Pick a card, any card.” | 魔术师给你看纸牌魔术 跟你说 “选一张牌 哪张都行” |
[56:55] | What you don’t realize was that they’ve done a set up, | 你没有意识到的是 他们早就给你设好陷阱了 |
[56:58] | so you pick the card they want you to pick. | 于是你选的那张牌 是他们想让你选的 |
[57:00] | And that’s how Facebook works. Facebook sits there and says, | 这就是脸书的工作原理 脸书坐在那里说 |
[57:03] | “Hey, you pick your friends. You pick the links that you follow.” | “喂 选择你的朋友 选择你关注的联系人” |
[57:06] | But that’s all nonsense. It’s just like the magician. | 根本是胡扯 它就跟魔术师一样 |
[57:08] | Facebook is in charge of your news feed. | 脸书负责给你进行新闻推送 |
[57:11] | We all simply are operating on a different set of facts. | 我们都不过是 在基于不同的一系列事实行事 |
[57:14] | When that happens at scale, | 当大范围发生时 |
[57:16] | you’re no longer able to reckon with or even consume information | 你就再也无法考虑甚至消化 |
[57:20] | that contradicts with that world view that you’ve created. | 与你所创造的世界观相悖的信息了 |
[57:23] | That means we aren’t actually being objective, | 那就意味着 我们其实不是客观、 |
[57:26] | constructive individuals. | 有建设性的个体 |
[57:28] | Open up your eyes, don’t believe the lies! Open up… | 睁大你的眼睛 别相信谎言!睁大… |
[57:32] | And then you look over at the other side, | 然后你扫了一眼另一边 |
[57:35] | and you start to think, “How can those people be so stupid? | 你开始想 “这些人怎么会如此愚蠢?” |
[57:38] | Look at all of this information that I’m constantly seeing. | 他们也看到了我不停看到的这些信息 |
[57:42] | How are they not seeing that same information?” | 他们怎么会看不到相同的信息? |
[57:44] | And the answer is, “They’re not seeing that same information.” | 问题的答案是 “他们没有看到相同的信息” |
[57:47] | Open up your eyes, don’t believe the lies! | 睁大你的眼睛 别相信谎言! |
[57:52] | What are Republicans like? People that don’t have a clue. | 共和党人什么样? 愚昧无知 |
[57:55] | The Democrat Party is a crime syndicate, not a real political party. | 民主党就是一个犯罪团伙 不是真正的政治党派 |
[57:59] | A huge new Pew Research Center study of 10,000 American adults | 皮尤研究中心一项全新的大型研究 对一万名美国成年人进行调查 |
[58:03] | finds us more divided than ever, | 发现我们比任何时候都要分裂 |
[58:05] | with personal and political polarization at a 20 year high. | 个人和政治两极分化达到20年来最高 |
[58:11] | You have more than a third of Republicans saying | 有超过三分之一的共和党人说 |
[58:14] | the Democratic Party is a threat to the nation, | 民主党是对这个国家的威胁 |
[58:16] | more than a quarter of Democrats saying the same thing about the Republicans. | 民主党超过四分之一的人 也这样说共和党 |
[58:20] | So many of the problems that we’re discussing, | 我们讨论的很多问题 |
[58:22] | like, around political polarization | 比如政治两极分化 |
[58:24] | exist in spades on cable television. | 在有线电视上大量存在 |
[58:28] | The media has this exact same problem, | 媒体也有着同样的问题 |
[58:31] | where their business model, by and large, | 整体上来说 他们的商业模式 |
[58:33] | is that they’re selling our attention to advertisers. | 是把我们的关注出售给广告商 |
[58:35] | And the Internet is just a new, even more efficient way to do that. | 网络只是一个新的、更有效率的 实现方式罢了 |
[58:40] | At YouTube, I was working on YouTube recommendations. | 我曾在YouTube的工作 是研究YouTube推荐 |
[58:44] | It worries me that an algorithm that I worked on | 让我担心的是 我研究的一个算法 |
[58:47] | is actually increasing polarization in society. | 增加了社会中的两极分化 |
[58:50] | But from the point of view of watch time, | 但从观看时间来看 |
[58:53] | this polarization is extremely efficient at keeping people online. | 这种两极分化 在让人们持续在线观看上 极其有效 |
[58:58] | The only reason these teachers are teaching this stuff | 这些老师教这些东西的唯一原因 |
[59:00] | is ’cause they’re getting paid to. | 是有人给他们钱 让他们教 |
[59:02] | It’s absolutely absurd. Hey, Benji. | 太扯了 喂 本杰 |
[59:04] | No soccer practice today? | 今天没有足球训练吗? |
[59:06] | Oh, there is. I’m just catching up on some news stuff. | 有 我只想看看今天的新闻 |
[59:08] | Do research. Anything that sways from the Extreme Center | 你去研究一下 极端中心说的任何话… |
[59:11] | Wouldn’t exactly call the stuff that you’re watching news. | 都不会把你看的这个东西称作新闻 |
[59:15] | You’re always talking about how messed up everything is. So are they. | 你总是说一切都那么混乱 确实是 |
[59:19] | But that stuff is just propaganda. | 但那东西只是政治鼓吹 |
[59:21] | Neither is true. It’s all about what makes sense. | 没有一个是真的 全都是让你觉得合理 |
[59:24] | Ben, I’m serious. That stuff is bad for you. | 本 我很严肃 这些东西对你有害 |
[59:27] | You should go to soccer practice. Mm. | 你应该去足球训练 |
[59:35] | I share this stuff because I care. | 我分享这个东西 是因为我在意 |
[59:37] | I care that you are being misled, and it’s not okay. All right? | 我在意你被误导 这是不对的 好吗? |
[59:41] | People think the algorithm is designed | 人们认为算法的设计 |
[59:43] | to give them what they really want, only it’s not. | 是给他们真正想要的 但其实不然 |
[59:46] | The algorithm is actually trying to find a few rabbit holes that are very powerful, | 算法其实是在试图 找到几个非常强大的兔子洞 |
[59:52] | trying to find which rabbit hole is the closest to your interest. | 试图找到哪一个兔子洞 最贴近你的兴趣 |
[59:56] | And then if you start watching one of those videos, | 然后 如果你开始观看其中一个视频 |
[59:59] | then it will recommend it over and over again. | 它就会不停继续推荐 |
[1:00:02] | It’s not like anybody wants this to happen. | 这种情况 并不是有人刻意为之 |
[1:00:05] | It’s just that this is what the recommendation system is doing. | 只是推荐系统一直在做而已 |
[1:00:07] | So much so that Kyrie Irving, the famous basketball player, | 以至于著名篮球运动员凯里·欧文 |
[1:00:11] | uh, said he believed the Earth was flat, and he apologized later | 说他相信地球是平的 后来又道歉 |
[1:00:14] | because he blamed it on a YouTube rabbit hole. | 因为他把责任推给 YouTube的一个兔子洞 |
[1:00:16] | You know, like, you click the YouTube click | 你点击 YouTube视频 |
[1:00:18] | and it goes, like, how deep the rabbit hole goes. | 它会继续 这个兔子洞能有多深 |
[1:00:21] | When he later came on to NPR to say, | 他后来在国家公共广播电台上说 |
[1:00:23] | “I’m sorry for believing this. I didn’t want to mislead people,” | “很抱歉我相信了这个 我无意误导人们” |
[1:00:26] | a bunch of students in a classroom were interviewed saying, | 有人采访了教室中的一群学生 他们说 |
[1:00:28] | “The round Earthers got to him.” | “相信地球是圆的人肯定找他谈了” |
[1:00:31] | The flat Earth conspiracy theory was recommended | 地球平面阴谋论被算法 |
[1:00:34] | hundreds of millions of times by the algorithm. | 推荐了几亿次 |
[1:00:37] | It’s easy to think that it’s just a few stupid people who get convinced, | 很容易去想 只有几个愚蠢的人被说服罢了 |
[1:00:43] | but the algorithm is getting smarter and smarter every day. | 但是算法每一天都在变得更聪明 |
[1:00:46] | So, today, they are convincing the people that the Earth is flat, | 今天 它们说服人们相信 地球是平的 |
[1:00:50] | but tomorrow, they will be convincing you of something that’s false. | 但是明天 它们就会说服你相信 一个完全虚假的事情 |
[1:00:54] | On November 7th, the hashtag “Pizzagate” was born. | 11月7日 话题标签‘披萨门’诞生了 |
[1:00:57] | Pizzagate… | 披萨门… |
[1:01:00] | Oh, boy. | 天啊 |
[1:01:03] | I still am not 100 percent sure how this originally came about, | 我还是不能百分之百确定 这个最初是从哪里来的 |
[1:01:06] | but the idea that ordering a pizza meant ordering a trafficked person. | 但是订披萨等于订一个贩卖的人口 这个想法 |
[1:01:12] | As the groups got bigger on Facebook, | 由于脸书上的多个小组越来越大 |
[1:01:15] | Facebook’s recommendation engine started suggesting to regular users | 脸书推荐引擎开始建议普通用户 |
[1:01:20] | that they join Pizzagate groups. | 让他们加入披萨门小组 |
[1:01:21] | So, if a user was, for example, anti vaccine or believed in chemtrails | 所以 如果一个用户反对疫苗 或者相信飞机喷洒重金属阴谋论 |
[1:01:27] | or had indicated to Facebook’s algorithms in some way | 或者对脸书的算法表示过 |
[1:01:30] | that they were prone to belief in conspiracy theories, | 他们易于相信阴谋论 |
[1:01:33] | Facebook’s recommendation engine would serve them Pizzagate groups. | 脸熟的推荐引擎 就会推荐给他们披萨门小组 |
[1:01:36] | Eventually, this culminated in a man showing up with a gun, | 最终 这件事达到高潮 一名男子携枪出现 |
[1:01:41] | deciding that he was gonna go liberate the children from the basement | 决定他要给披萨店地下室的 那些孩子们自由 |
[1:01:44] | of the pizza place that did not have a basement. | 而这个披萨店根本没有地下室 |
[1:01:46] | What were you doing? | 你当时在这个地方做什么? |
[1:01:48] | Making sure there was nothing there. | 确保这里什么都没有 |
[1:01:50] | Regarding? Pedophile ring. | 关于什么? 恋童癖怪圈 |
[1:01:52] | What? Pedophile ring. | 什么? 恋童癖怪圈 |
[1:01:54] | He’s talking about Pizzagate. | 披萨门 他在说披萨门 |
[1:01:56] | This is an example of a conspiracy theory | 这是阴谋论在所有社交媒体上 |
[1:02:00] | that was propagated across all social networks. | 到处传播的一个例子 |
[1:02:03] | The social network’s own recommendation engine | 社交网络自己的推荐引擎 |
[1:02:06] | is voluntarily serving this up to people | 自愿把这个东西推送给 |
[1:02:08] | who had never searched for the term “Pizzagate” in their life. | 这辈子从来没有搜索过 “披萨门”的人们 |
[1:02:10] | (披萨门 民主党和恋童癖的深盘披萨) | |
[1:02:12] | There’s a study, an MIT study, | 有一个研究 麻省理工的研究 |
[1:02:14] | that fake news on Twitter spreads six times faster than true news. | 说推特上传播的虚假新闻 比真实新闻传播速度快六倍 |
[1:02:19] | What is that world gonna look like | 当一个人有着高于另一个人 |
[1:02:21] | when one has a six times advantage to the other one? | 六倍的优势 这种世界会是什么样? |
[1:02:25] | You can imagine these things are sort of like… | 你可以想象 这些事情有点… |
[1:02:27] | they… they tilt the floor of… of human behavior. | 将人类行为的基础平面倾斜了 |
[1:02:31] | They make some behavior harder and some easier. | 让一些行为更难 让一些行为更容易 |
[1:02:34] | And you’re always free to walk up the hill, | 你总是可以自由地走上山坡 |
[1:02:37] | but fewer people do, | 但是这样做的人越来越少 |
[1:02:38] | and so, at scale, at society’s scale, you really are just tilting the floor | 所以大范围内 在整个社会范围内 你就是将基础平面倾斜了 |
[1:02:43] | and changing what billions of people think and do. | 改变了数十亿人的想法和行为 |
[1:02:46] | We’ve created a system that biases towards false information. | 我们创造了一个 偏心于虚假消息的体系 |
[1:02:52] | Not because we want to, | 并不是因为我们想这样做 |
[1:02:54] | but because false information makes the companies more money | 而是因为虚假信息比真实信息 能让各个公司 |
[1:02:59] | than the truth. The truth is boring. | 赚到更多钱 真实信息比较无聊 |
[1:03:01] | It’s a disinformation for profit business model. | 这是一个 利用虚假信息牟利的商业模式 |
[1:03:04] | You make money the more you allow unregulated messages | 允许未受监管的信息传送给更多的人 |
[1:03:08] | to reach anyone for the best price. | 卖出最好的价钱 以此来赚钱 |
[1:03:11] | Because climate change? Yeah. | 因为气候变化?对 |
[1:03:14] | It’s a hoax. Yeah, it’s real. That’s the point. | 这是骗局 对 是真的 这才是重点 |
[1:03:16] | The more they talk about it and the more they divide us, | 他们谈论这件事情越多 就越会将我们分化 |
[1:03:20] | the more they have the power, the more… | 他们越有力量 就越有控制权 |
[1:03:22] | Facebook has trillions of these news feed posts. | 脸书有万亿个新闻推送贴 |
[1:03:26] | They can’t know what’s real or what’s true… | 他们无法知道哪些是真的 哪些是事实… |
[1:03:29] | which is why this conversation is so critical right now. | 所以当下这个议题 才如此重要 |
[1:03:33] | It’s not just COVID 19 that’s spreading fast. | 传播迅速的 不只是新冠病毒 |
[1:03:37] | There’s a flow of misinformation online about the virus. | 网上有关于这个病毒的大量虚假信息 |
[1:03:40] | The notion drinking water | 多喝水能将新冠病毒 |
[1:03:41] | will flush coronavirus from your system | 从你身体中冲走的提议 |
[1:03:43] | is one of several myths about the virus circulating on social media. | 是在社交媒体上广泛流传的 该病毒的谜题之一 |
[1:03:47] | The government planned this event, created the virus, | 这是政府计划的事件 创造了这个病毒 |
[1:03:50] | and had a simulation of how the countries would react. | 来模拟世界各国将会如何应对 |
[1:03:53] | Coronavirus is a… a hoax. | 新冠病毒是一场骗局 |
[1:03:56] | SARS, coronavirus. | 非典 新冠病毒 |
[1:03:58] | And look at when it was made. 2018. | 看看这是什么时候制造的 2018年 |
[1:04:01] | I think the US government started this shit. | 我觉得是美国政府开始的这场闹剧 |
[1:04:04] | Nobody is sick. Nobody is sick. Nobody knows anybody who’s sick. | 根本没有人生病 没人生病 |
[1:04:07] | 没有人认识哪个人真正生病了 | |
[1:04:09] | Maybe the government is using the coronavirus as an excuse | 或许是政府在利用新冠病毒当借口 |
[1:04:13] | to get everyone to stay inside because something else is happening. | 让所有人留在家 因为有其他的事情要发生 |
[1:04:15] | Coronavirus is not killing people, | 新冠病毒不会杀人 |
[1:04:18] | it’s the 5G radiation that they’re pumping out. | 他们是在掩盖5G辐射害死的人 |
[1:04:21] | (5G信号塔被割倒焚烧) | |
[1:04:22] | We’re being bombarded with rumors. | 我们被谣言轰炸 |
[1:04:25] | People are blowing up actual physical cell phone towers. | 人们去毁掉了真实的手机信号塔 |
[1:04:28] | We see Russia and China spreading rumors and conspiracy theories. | 我们看到俄罗斯和中国 传播谣言和阴谋论 |
[1:04:32] | This morning, panic and protest in Ukraine as… | 今天早上 乌克兰的恐慌与抗议… |
[1:04:35] | People have no idea what’s true, and now it’s a matter of life and death. | 人们不知道什么是真相 现在已经闹出人命了 |
[1:04:39] | Those sources that are spreading coronavirus misinformation | 那些传播新冠病毒虚假信息的来源 |
[1:04:42] | have amassed something like 52 million engagements. | 积累了5200万人参与 |
[1:04:45] | You’re saying that silver solution would be effective. | 你是说 胶银溶液会有效 |
[1:04:50] | Well, let’s say it hasn’t been tested on this strain of the coronavirus, but… | 我们这样说吧 虽然没有用新冠病毒的毒株测试过 |
[1:04:54] | What we’re seeing with COVID is just an extreme version | 我们看到的新冠病毒 只是发生在我们信息生态系统中的 |
[1:04:57] | of what’s happening across our information ecosystem. | 一个极端案例 |
[1:05:00] | (惠特默 希特勒) | |
[1:05:00] | Social media amplifies exponential gossip and exponential hearsay | 社交媒体放大了增长迅速的谣言 和增长迅速的道听途说 |
[1:05:05] | to the point that we don’t know what’s true, | 以至于我们都不知道 什么是真了 |
[1:05:07] | no matter what issue we care about. | 不管我们关注的是什么问题 |
[1:05:15] | He discovers this. | 他发现了这个 |
[1:05:19] | Ben. | 本 |
[1:05:26] | Are you still on the team? Mm hmm. | 你还在队里吗? |
[1:05:30] | Okay, well, I’m gonna get a snack before practice | 好 如果你想来 我在训练之前 先去吃点零食 你要来吗? |
[1:05:32] | if you… wanna come. | 先去吃点零食 你要来吗? |
[1:05:35] | Hm? | 嗯? |
[1:05:36] | You know, never mind. | 当我没说 |
[1:05:45] | Nine out of ten people are dissatisfied right now. | 当前 十个人当中 有九个人不满意 |
[1:05:47] | The EC is like any political movement in history, when you think about it. | 你仔细想想 极端中心和历史上 任何政治运动无异 |
[1:05:50] | We are standing up, and we are… we are standing up to this noise. | 我们要站起来反抗 我们要站起来反抗这种杂音 |
[1:05:54] | You are my people. I trust you guys. | 你是我的人民 我相信你们 |
[1:05:59] | The Extreme Center content is brilliant. He absolutely loves it. | 极端中心的内容好棒 他非常喜欢 |
[1:06:02] | Running an auction. | 运行一个拍卖 |
[1:06:04] | 840 bidders. He sold for 4.35 cents to a weapons manufacturer. | 843个竞标人 他以4.35美分 卖给了一个武器生产商 |
[1:06:08] | Let’s promote some of these events. | 我们来宣传一下这些活动 |
[1:06:10] | Upcoming rallies in his geographic zone later this week. | 这星期晚些时候 将在这片地理区域发生的群众集会 |
[1:06:13] | I’ve got a new vlogger lined up, too. | 新的视频博主也安排好了 |
[1:06:17] | And… and, honestly, I’m telling you, I’m willing to do whatever it takes. | 说实话 我告诉你 我愿意付出任何代价 |
[1:06:23] | And I mean whatever. | 我说 任何代价 |
[1:06:32] | Subscribe… Ben? | 订阅… 本? |
[1:06:33] | …and also come back because I’m telling you, yo… | …记得回来 因为我告诉你们… |
[1:06:35] | …I got some real big things comin’. | 我后面会有大事件 |
[1:06:38] | Some real big things. | 非常大的事件 |
[1:06:40] | One of the problems with Facebook is that, as a tool of persuasion, | 脸书的一个问题是 作为一个有劝说性质的工具 |
[1:06:45] | it may be the greatest thing ever created. | 它或许是史上最伟大的发明 |
[1:06:48] | Now, imagine what that means in the hands of a dictator or an authoritarian. | 现在 你来想象一下 落在独裁者 或者集权主义者手中 会怎样 |
[1:06:53] | If you want to control the population of your country, | 如果你想控制你们国家的人民 |
[1:06:57] | there has never been a tool as effective as Facebook. | 从未有过像脸书这样有效的工具 |
[1:07:04] | Some of the most troubling implications | 一个问题最大的影响是 |
[1:07:07] | of governments and other bad actors weaponizing social media, | 一些政府和其他不良人士 把社交媒体当作武器 |
[1:07:11] | um, is that it has led to real, offline harm. | 导致了真实的线下伤害 |
[1:07:13] | I think the most prominent example | 我认为最明显的案例 |
[1:07:15] | that’s gotten a lot of press is what’s happened in Myanmar. | 广泛被媒体关注的 是缅甸发生的事情 |
[1:07:17] | (缅甸总统办公室) | |
[1:07:19] | In Myanmar, when people think of the Internet, | 在缅甸 人们想到网络时 |
[1:07:21] | what they are thinking about is Facebook. | 他们想到的 是脸书 |
[1:07:22] | And what often happens is when people buy their cell phone, | 经常发生的事情是 人们买了手机 |
[1:07:26] | the cell phone shop owner will actually preload Facebook on there for them | 手机店主会提前帮他们下载好脸书 |
[1:07:30] | and open an account for them. | 帮他们开好账户 |
[1:07:31] | And so when people get their phone, the first thing they open | 于是人们拿到手机之后 第一个打开的应用 |
[1:07:34] | and the only thing they know how to open is Facebook. | 他们唯一知道怎样打开的 就是脸书 |
[1:07:38] | Well, a new bombshell investigation exposes Facebook’s growing struggle | 一个新的震惊调查显示 脸书日益增长的 |
[1:07:41] | to tackle hate speech in Myanmar. | 对抗缅甸仇恨言论的难题 |
[1:07:43] | (停止杀害穆斯林) | |
[1:07:46] | Facebook really gave the military and other bad actors | 脸书真的给军人和其他不良人士 |
[1:07:49] | a new way to manipulate public opinion | 一种控制公众言论的新手段 |
[1:07:51] | and to help incite violence against the Rohingya Muslims | 并协助煽动 针对罗兴亚族穆斯林的暴力 |
[1:07:55] | that included mass killings, | 包括大屠杀 |
[1:07:58] | burning of entire villages, | 焚烧整个村庄 |
[1:07:59] | mass rape, and other serious crimes against humanity | 违反人道主义的 大规模强奸和其他严重犯罪行为 |
[1:08:03] | that have now led | 已经导致 |
[1:08:05] | to 700,000 Rohingya Muslims having to flee the country. | 七十万罗兴亚族穆斯林 逃出这个国家 |
[1:08:11] | It’s not that highly motivated propagandists | 这种情绪高涨的鼓吹 |
[1:08:14] | haven’t existed before. | 以前并不是没有出现过 |
[1:08:16] | It’s that the platforms make it possible | 只是这个平台实现了 |
[1:08:19] | to spread manipulative narratives with phenomenal ease, | 让操纵性言论传播变得异常容易 |
[1:08:23] | and without very much money. | 也不用花多少钱 |
[1:08:25] | If I want to manipulate an election, | 如果我想操纵竞选 |
[1:08:27] | I can now go into a conspiracy theory group on Facebook, | 我现在可以去脸书上的 一个阴谋论小组 |
[1:08:30] | and I can find 100 people | 可以找到一百个人 |
[1:08:32] | who believe that the Earth is completely flat | 他们深信地球是平的 |
[1:08:34] | and think it’s all this conspiracy theory that we landed on the moon, | 认为我们登月 完全是阴谋论 |
[1:08:37] | and I can tell Facebook, “Give me 1,000 users who look like that.” | 我可以告诉脸书 “给我推荐一千个这种用户” |
[1:08:42] | Facebook will happily send me thousands of users that look like them | 脸书会非常开心地发给我 几千个这种用户 |
[1:08:46] | that I can now hit with more conspiracy theories. | 我现在可以给他们讲更多的阴谋论 |
[1:08:50] | Sold for 3.4 cents an impression. | 以3.4美分卖了一个印象 |
[1:08:53] | New EC video to promote. Another ad teed up. | 推广新的极端中心 再安排一个广告 |
[1:08:58] | Algorithms and manipulative politicians | 算法和操纵人的政治家 |
[1:09:01] | are becoming so expert | 在学习如何激发我们的方面 |
[1:09:02] | at learning how to trigger us, | 变得非常专业 |
[1:09:04] | getting so good at creating fake news that we absorb as if it were reality, | 非常擅长制造我们容易接受的 虚假新闻 假装这就是事实 |
[1:09:08] | and confusing us into believing those lies. | 给我们造成混乱 让我们相信这些谎言 |
[1:09:10] | It’s as though we have less and less control | 我们似乎对自己是怎样的人 |
[1:09:12] | over who we are and what we believe. | 自己的信仰 有越来越少的控制权 |
[1:09:31] | …so they can pick sides. | …来让他们选择站队 |
[1:09:32] | There’s lies here, and there’s lies over there. | 到处都是谎言 |
[1:09:34] | So they can keep the power, | 这样他们就能保持住权力 |
[1:09:36] | so they can control everything. | 这样他们就能控制一切 |
[1:09:40] | They can control our minds, | 他们可以控制我们的思想 |
[1:09:42] | so that they can keep their secrets. | 这样他们就可以保守他们的秘密 |
[1:09:44] | (质疑真相) | |
[1:09:46] | (疾控中心承认掩盖疫苗/自闭症) | |
[1:09:48] | Imagine a world where no one believes anything true. | 想象一个没有人相信任何真相的世界 |
[1:09:50] | (疫苗不普适所有人 我们的基因就是证据) | |
[1:09:52] | Everyone believes the government’s lying to them. | 所有人都相信 政府在骗他们 |
[1:09:56] | Everything is a conspiracy theory. | 一切都是阴谋论 |
[1:09:58] | “I shouldn’t trust anyone. I hate the other side.” | “我不应该相信任何人 我痛恨对立面” |
[1:10:01] | That’s where all this is heading. | 一切正在向这个方向发展 |
[1:10:02] | The political earthquakes in Europe continue to rumble. | 欧洲的政治地震 余震不止 |
[1:10:06] | This time, in Italy and Spain. | 这一次 轮到了意大利和西班牙 |
[1:10:08] | Overall, Europe’s traditional, centrist coalition lost its majority | 整体上来说 欧洲传统的 中间派联合政府失去了大多数人支持 |
[1:10:12] | while far right and far left populist parties made gains. | 同时极左和极右民粹主义政党 获得更多支持 |
[1:10:17] | (中心) | |
[1:10:19] | Back up. | 退后 |
[1:10:21] | Okay, let’s go. | 好 我们走 |
[1:10:28] | These accounts were deliberately, specifically attempting | 这些账户专门故意试图 |
[1:10:31] | to sow political discord in Hong Kong. | 散播香港政治纷争信息 |
[1:10:38] | All right, Ben. | 好 本 |
[1:10:42] | What does it look like to be a country | 生活在一个全部信息来自于脸书 |
[1:10:45] | that’s entire diet is Facebook and social media? | 和社交媒体的国家 是什么感觉? |
[1:10:48] | Democracy crumbled quickly. | 民主迅速崩溃 |
[1:10:50] | Six months. | 六个月 |
[1:10:51] | After that chaos in Chicago, | 芝加哥的混乱发生后 |
[1:10:53] | violent clashes between protesters and supporters… | 抗议者和支持者之间的暴力冲突… |
[1:10:58] | Democracy is facing a crisis of confidence. | 民主正面临着信心危机 |
[1:11:01] | What we’re seeing is a global assault on democracy. | 我们看到的 是对全球民主的攻击 |
[1:11:04] | (极端中心) | |
[1:11:05] | Most of the countries that are targeted are countries | 多数目标国家 都是 |
[1:11:08] | that run democratic elections. | 进行民主选举的国家 |
[1:11:10] | This is happening at scale. | 大范围发生 |
[1:11:12] | By state actors, by people with millions of dollars saying, | 国家行动者、家财万贯的富翁说 |
[1:11:15] | “I wanna destabilize Kenya. I wanna destabilize Cameroon. | “我想让肯尼亚动摇 我想让喀麦隆动摇 |
[1:11:18] | Oh, Angola? That only costs this much.” | 安哥拉?只要这么一点钱” |
[1:11:20] | An extraordinary election took place Sunday in Brazil. | 巴西上周日举行了一场特别的选举 |
[1:11:23] | With a campaign that’s been powered by social media. | 选举动员是社交媒体驱动的 |
[1:11:31] | We in the tech industry have created the tools | 我们技术产业的人创造了 |
[1:11:34] | to destabilize and erode the fabric of society | 动摇和侵蚀社会结构的工具 |
[1:11:37] | in every country, all at once, everywhere. | 所有国家都在同时发生 世界各地都在发生 |
[1:11:40] | You have this in Germany, Spain, France, Brazil, Australia. | 德国、西班牙、法国 巴西、澳大利亚都有发生 |
[1:11:44] | Some of the most “developed nations” in the world | 一些世界上最发达的国家 |
[1:11:47] | are now imploding on each other, | 正在互相爆破 |
[1:11:49] | and what do they have in common? | 他们有什么共同点? |
[1:11:51] | Knowing what you know now, | 基于你当前的了解 |
[1:11:53] | do you believe Facebook impacted the results of the 2016 election? | 你相信脸书 影响了2016年大选的结果吗? |
[1:11:56] | Oh, that’s… that is hard. | 这个问题好难回答 |
[1:11:58] | You know, it’s… the… | 你知道 这个… |
[1:12:01] | the reality is, well, there were so many different forces at play. | 事实是 有很多不同的力量在产生影响 |
[1:12:04] | Representatives from Facebook, Twitter, and Google are back on Capitol Hill | 脸书、推特和谷歌的代表们 回到国会山 |
[1:12:07] | for a second day of testimony | 对俄罗斯干预2016年大选问题 |
[1:12:09] | about Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. | 进行第二天的证词发言 |
[1:12:12] | The manipulation by third parties is not a hack. | 第三方政党的操纵没有黑入 |
[1:12:18] | Right? The Russians didn’t hack Facebook. | 对吧?俄罗斯没有黑入脸书 |
[1:12:21] | What they did was they used the tools that Facebook created | 他们所做的是 利用脸书 |
[1:12:25] | for legitimate advertisers and legitimate users, | 为合法广告商与合法用户创造的工具 |
[1:12:27] | and they applied it to a nefarious purpose. | 用到了罪恶的用途中 |
[1:12:32] | It’s like remote control warfare. | 就像是远程控制的战争 |
[1:12:34] | One country can manipulate another one | 一个国家可以操纵另一个国家 |
[1:12:36] | without actually invading its physical borders. | 都不用真正入侵实体边境 |
[1:12:39] | We’re seeing violent images. It appears to be a dumpster | 我们看到这些暴力的画面 |
[1:12:42] | being pushed around… | 这是一个被推来推去的垃圾箱… |
[1:12:43] | But it wasn’t about who you wanted to vote for. | 但问题不是你想投票给谁 |
[1:12:46] | It was about sowing total chaos and division in society. | 问题是在社会中散播混乱和分歧 |
[1:12:50] | Now, this was in Huntington Beach. A march… | 这是在霍廷顿海滩市的示威… |
[1:12:53] | It’s about making two sides | 问题是制造了两个对立面 |
[1:12:54] | who couldn’t hear each other anymore, | 丝毫不再听取对方的观点 |
[1:12:56] | who didn’t want to hear each other anymore, | 不再想听对方的观点 |
[1:12:58] | who didn’t trust each other anymore. | 不再相信对方 |
[1:12:59] | This is a city where hatred was laid bare | 这是仇恨被暴露出 |
[1:13:03] | and transformed into racial violence. | 并转化成种族暴力的城市 |
[1:13:05] | (弗吉尼亚紧张局势 暴力当天致三人遇害) | |
[1:13:20] | Ben! | 本! |
[1:13:21] | Cassandra! | 卡桑德拉! |
[1:13:22] | Cass! Ben! | 卡桑! 本! |
[1:13:23] | Come here! Come here! | 过来! |
[1:13:27] | Arms up. Arms up. Get down on your knees. Now, down. | 举起手 膝盖跪地 快 跪下 |
[1:13:36] | Calm Ben! | 冷静…… 本! |
[1:13:37] | Hey! Hands up! | 喂!手举起来! |
[1:13:39] | Turn around. On the ground. On the ground! | 转过去 趴地上 |
[1:13:56] | Do we want this system for sale to the highest bidder? | 我们希望这个系统 售卖出最高的竞价吗? |
[1:14:01] | For democracy to be completely for sale, where you can reach any mind you want, | 完全出售民主 你可以控制任何你想控制的思想 |
[1:14:05] | target a lie to that specific population, and create culture wars? | 对特定人群设定谎言 制造文化战争? |
[1:14:09] | Do we want that? | 我们希望这样吗? |
[1:14:14] | We are a nation of people… | 我们这个国家的人民… |
[1:14:16] | that no longer speak to each other. | 不再和彼此说话了 |
[1:14:19] | We are a nation of people who have stopped being friends with people | 我们这个国家的人民 不再和彼此交友了 |
[1:14:23] | because of who they voted for in the last election. | 只因为他们在上一次竞选中投票的人 |
[1:14:25] | We are a nation of people who have isolated ourselves | 我们这个国家的人民孤立了自己 |
[1:14:28] | to only watch channels that tell us that we’re right. | 只看认同我们的那些频道 |
[1:14:32] | My message here today is that tribalism is ruining us. | 我今天想传达的信息是 部落主义正在毁掉我们 |
[1:14:37] | It is tearing our country apart. | 它正在撕裂我们这个国家 |
[1:14:40] | It is no way for sane adults to act. | 正常的成年人 不可能这样做 |
[1:14:43] | If everyone’s entitled to their own facts, | 如果每个人都有权执着于自己的真相 |
[1:14:45] | there’s really no need for compromise, no need for people to come together. | 就真没有必要妥协 没有必要让人们团结了 |
[1:14:49] | In fact, there’s really no need for people to interact. | 事实上 真的没有必要让人们互动 |
[1:14:52] | We need to have… | 我们需要 |
[1:14:53] | some shared understanding of reality. Otherwise, we aren’t a country. | 对现实有一些共同的理解 不然 我们就不是一个国家了 |
[1:14:58] | So, uh, long term, the solution here is to build more AI tools | (扎克伯格先生) |
[1:14:59] | 所以长期来看 解决办法 是建造更多的人工智能工具 | |
[1:15:03] | that find patterns of people using the services that no real person would do. | 找到人们使用这些服务的行为模式 这是任何一个真人都做不到的 |
[1:15:08] | We are allowing the technologists to frame this as a problem | 我们允许技术专家 把这个当做一个 |
[1:15:11] | that they’re equipped to solve. | 他们有能力解决的问题呈现 |
[1:15:15] | That is… That’s a lie. | 这是骗人的 |
[1:15:17] | People talk about AI as if it will know truth. | 人们谈论人工智能 好像人工智能知道真理一样 |
[1:15:21] | AI’s not gonna solve these problems. | 人工智能无法解决这些问题 |
[1:15:24] | AI cannot solve the problem of fake news. | 人工智能无法解决虚假新闻的问题 |
[1:15:28] | Google doesn’t have the option of saying, | 谷歌没有选择去说 |
[1:15:31] | “Oh, is this conspiracy? Is this truth?” Because they don’t know what truth is. | “这是阴谋论?这是真相吗?” |
[1:15:34] | 因为它们不知道 真相是什么 | |
[1:15:36] | They don’t have a… | 它们没有 |
[1:15:37] | They don’t have a proxy for truth that’s better than a click. | 真相的代理服务器 只有点击 |
[1:15:41] | If we don’t agree on what is true | 如果我们不同意真相 |
[1:15:45] | or that there is such a thing as truth, | 或者不同意存在真相 |
[1:15:48] | we’re toast. | 我们就完蛋了 |
[1:15:49] | This is the problem beneath other problems | 这是其他问题之下的问题 |
[1:15:52] | because if we can’t agree on what’s true, | 因为如果我们不能认同真相 |
[1:15:55] | then we can’t navigate out of any of our problems. | 那我们就无法找到 我们任何一个问题的解决方法 |
[1:16:05] | We should suggest Flat Earth Football Club. | 我们应该建议他 关注平面地球足球俱乐部 |
[1:16:07] | Don’t show him sports updates. He doesn’t engage. | 别再给他展示运动消息了 他不感兴趣 |
[1:16:39] | A lot of people in Silicon Valley subscribe to some kind of theory | 硅谷的很多人相信一种理论 |
[1:16:42] | that we’re building some global super brain, | 我们正在建造一些全球的超级大脑 |
[1:16:45] | and all of our users are just interchangeable little neurons, | 我们所有的用户 都只是可交互的神经元 |
[1:16:48] | no one of which is important. | 他们一点都不重要 |
[1:16:50] | And it subjugates people into this weird role | 它让人们服从于这样一个奇怪的角色 |
[1:16:53] | where you’re just, like, this little computing element | 你就像是一个小的编程元素 |
[1:16:56] | that we’re programming through our behavior manipulation | 我们通过我们的行为操纵去 编程 |
[1:16:58] | for the service of this giant brain, and you don’t matter. | 为了服务于这个巨型大脑 你根本不重要 |
[1:17:02] | You’re not gonna get paid. You’re not gonna get acknowledged. | 不会给你钱 不会告诉你真相 |
[1:17:04] | You don’t have self determination. | 你没有自主权 |
[1:17:06] | We’ll sneakily just manipulate you because you’re a computing node, | 我们会鬼祟地操纵你 因为你是编程中的结点 |
[1:17:09] | so we need to program you ’cause that’s what you do with computing nodes. | 所以我们需要将你编程 因为我们就要这样对待编程中的结点 |
[1:17:20] | Oh, man. | 天啊 |
[1:17:21] | When you think about technology and it being an existential threat, | 当你想到技术 技术是一种人类存亡的威胁 |
[1:17:25] | you know, that’s a big claim, and… | 这个指控很严重… |
[1:17:29] | it’s easy to then, in your mind, think, “Okay, so, there I am with the phone… | 然后你的脑中就会很容易想 “好 我正在拿着手机 |
[1:17:35] | scrolling, clicking, using it. | 互动、点击、使用 |
[1:17:37] | Like, where’s the existential threat? | 人类存亡的威胁在哪里? |
[1:17:40] | Okay, there’s the supercomputer. | 好 有一个超级电脑 |
[1:17:41] | The other side of the screen, pointed at my brain, | 在屏幕的另一端 正指向我的大脑 |
[1:17:44] | got me to watch one more video. Where’s the existential threat?” | 让我再看一个视频 人类存亡的威胁在哪里?” |
[1:17:54] | It’s not about the technology being the existential threat. | 技术并不是人类存亡的威胁 |
[1:18:02] | (劝服性技术 美国参议院听政会) | |
[1:18:03] | It’s the technology’s ability | 是技术能够把 |
[1:18:06] | to bring out the worst in society… | 社会中最坏的东西带出来的能力 |
[1:18:09] | …and the worst in society being the existential threat. | 社会中最坏的东西 才是人类存亡的威胁 |
[1:18:13] | (美国参议院) | |
[1:18:18] | If technology creates… | 如果技术创造了 |
[1:18:21] | mass chaos, | 公众混乱 |
[1:18:23] | outrage, incivility, | 愤怒、无礼 |
[1:18:24] | lack of trust in each other, | 彼此缺乏信任 |
[1:18:27] | loneliness, alienation, more polarization, | 孤独、疏远、更加两极分化 |
[1:18:30] | more election hacking, more populism, | 更多大选黑入、更多平民政治 |
[1:18:33] | more distraction and inability to focus on the real issues… | 让人更加分散注意力 无法集中在真正的问题上… |
[1:18:37] | that’s just society. | 那只是社会 |
[1:18:40] | And now society is incapable of healing itself | 现在社会无法自愈 |
[1:18:46] | and just devolving into a kind of chaos. | 转移成了一种混乱的形式 |
[1:18:51] | This affects everyone, even if you don’t use these products. | 这影响着每一个人 即使你不使用这些产品 |
[1:18:55] | These things have become digital Frankensteins | 这些事情变成了数码的科学怪人 |
[1:18:57] | that are terraforming the world in their image, | 让这个世界变成他们现象中的样子 |
[1:19:00] | whether it’s the mental health of children | 不论是儿童的心理健康 |
[1:19:01] | or our politics and our political discourse, | 还是我们的政治 我们的政治演说 |
[1:19:04] | without taking responsibility for taking over the public square. | 而不用因为控制公众舆论 承担责任 |
[1:19:07] | So, again, it comes back to And who do you think’s responsible? | 所以 还是要回到… 你觉得这一切怪谁? |
[1:19:10] | I think we have to have the platforms be responsible | 我认为我们必须让平台负起责任 |
[1:19:13] | for when they take over election advertising, | 因为他们接管大选广告的时候 |
[1:19:15] | they’re responsible for protecting elections. | 就要负责保护大选 |
[1:19:17] | When they take over mental health of kids or Saturday morning, | 当他们接管儿童心理健康 或是儿童频道的时候 |
[1:19:20] | they’re responsible for protecting Saturday morning. | 他们就有责任保护好儿童频道 |
[1:19:23] | The race to keep people’s attention isn’t going away. | 保持人们关注的竞争不会结束 |
[1:19:28] | Our technology’s gonna become more integrated into our lives, not less. | 我们的技术会在我们生活中更加集成 而不会减少 |
[1:19:31] | The AIs are gonna get better at predicting what keeps us on the screen, | 人工智能会更加擅长预判 什么内容能让我们持续盯着屏幕 |
[1:19:34] | not worse at predicting what keeps us on the screen. | 而不是做出更差的预判 |
[1:19:38] | I… I am 62 years old, | 我已经62岁了 |
[1:19:42] | getting older every minute, the more this conversation goes on… | 随着这个对话继续进行 我每一分钟都在变老 |
[1:19:44] | …but… but I will tell you that, um… | 但我会告诉你 |
[1:19:48] | I’m probably gonna be dead and gone, and I’ll probably be thankful for it, | 到时候我可能已经死了 不在了 但我可能会为此感恩 |
[1:19:52] | when all this shit comes to fruition. | 因为当这些恐怖的东西结出恶果 |
[1:19:54] | Because… Because I think that this scares me to death. | 我觉得能吓死我 |
[1:20:00] | Do… Do you… Do you see it the same way? | 你也这样看吗? |
[1:20:03] | Or am I overreacting to a situation that I don’t know enough about? | 还是我对一个我不够了解的情况 过度反应了? |
[1:20:09] | What are you most worried about? | 你最担心什么? |
[1:20:13] | I think, in the… in the shortest time horizon… | 我认为在最短的时间范围内… |
[1:20:19] | civil war. | 是内战 |
[1:20:24] | If we go down the current status quo for, let’s say, another 20 years… | 如果现在的常态继续下去 我们说再过20年 |
[1:20:31] | we probably destroy our civilization through willful ignorance. | 我们很可能会因为故意无知 毁掉我们的文明 |
[1:20:34] | We probably fail to meet the challenge of climate change. | 我们或许会无法应对气候变化的挑战 |
[1:20:38] | We probably degrade the world’s democracies | 我们或许会瓦解世界的民主 |
[1:20:42] | so that they fall into some sort of bizarre autocratic dysfunction. | 最终衰落成一种奇怪的独裁机能障碍 |
[1:20:46] | We probably ruin the global economy. | 我们或许会毁掉全球经济 |
[1:20:48] | Uh, we probably, um, don’t survive. | 我们或许会无法存活 |
[1:20:52] | You know, I… I really do view it as existential. | 我真的把它看做 人类生死存亡的大问题 |
[1:21:02] | Is this the last generation of people | 这会是知道在这种幻象发生之前 |
[1:21:05] | that are gonna know what it was like before this illusion took place? | 世界是什么样的最后一代人吗? |
[1:21:11] | Like, how do you wake up from the matrix when you don’t know you’re in the matrix? | 如果你不知道自己在矩阵中 你要怎么从矩阵中醒来? |
[1:21:17] | (“不论是乌托邦还是毁灭 都是一场一触即发的接力赛…) | |
[1:21:23] | (直接通往最后一刻…” ——巴克敏斯特·富勒) | |
[1:21:27] | A lot of what we’re saying sounds like it’s just this… | 你知道 我们说的很多话 听起来像是… |
[1:21:31] | one sided doom and gloom. | 片面的悲观 |
[1:21:33] | Like, “Oh, my God, technology’s just ruining the world | “天啊 技术正在毁灭世界 |
[1:21:36] | and it’s ruining kids,” | 正在毁灭孩子们” |
[1:21:38] | and it’s like… “No.” | 不是这样的 |
[1:21:40] | It’s confusing because it’s simultaneous utopia…and dystopia. | 这很困惑 因为这同时是乌托邦和毁灭 |
[1:21:45] | Like, I could hit a button on my phone, and a car shows up in 30 seconds, | 我可以在手机按一个按钮 30秒后就能出现一辆车 |
[1:21:50] | and I can go exactly where I need to go. | 我就可以去想去的任何地方 |
[1:21:52] | That is magic. That’s amazing. | 这简直是魔法 太神奇了 |
[1:21:56] | When we were making the like button, | 我们制作“点赞”按钮的时候 |
[1:21:57] | our entire motivation was, “Can we spread positivity and love in the world?” | 我们全部的动机是 “我们可以 在世界中传播积极和爱吗?” |
[1:22:01] | The idea that, fast forward to today, and teens would be getting depressed | 时间快进到当下 青少年会因为没有得到足够多的点赞 |
[1:22:05] | when they don’t have enough likes, | 而抑郁 这个想法 |
[1:22:06] | or it could be leading to political polarization | 或者会导致政治两极分化 |
[1:22:08] | was nowhere on our radar. | 当时是完全无法想象的 |
[1:22:09] | I don’t think these guys set out to be evil. | 我不认为这些人 最开始的目标是邪恶的 |
[1:22:13] | It’s just the business model that has a problem. | 只是这个商业模式有问题 |
[1:22:15] | You could shut down the service and destroy whatever it is | 你可以关掉服务 毁掉不管这是什么 |
[1:22:20] | $20 billion of shareholder value and get sued and… | 200亿美元的股东利益 被起诉… |
[1:22:24] | But you can’t, in practice, put the genie back in the bottle. | 但现实是 覆水难收 |
[1:22:27] | You can make some tweaks, but at the end of the day, | 你可以做出一些小的调整 但是最终 |
[1:22:30] | you’ve gotta grow revenue and usage, quarter over quarter. It’s… | 你要增加收益和使用 每一个季度都要增加 |
[1:22:34] | The bigger it gets, the harder it is for anyone to change. | 规模做得越大 越难让任何人改变 |
[1:22:38] | What I see is a bunch of people who are trapped by a business model, | 我看到的是一群被困住的人 被商业模式 |
[1:22:43] | an economic incentive, and shareholder pressure | 经济奖励和股东压力困住 |
[1:22:46] | that makes it almost impossible to do something else. | 几乎无法做其他的任何事情 |
[1:22:49] | I think we need to accept that it’s okay | 我认为我们应该接受 |
[1:22:51] | for companies to be focused on making money. | 公司专注于挣钱 是合情合理的 |
[1:22:53] | What’s not okay is when there’s no regulation, no rules, | 不合情合理的是 当没有监管、没有规定、 |
[1:22:55] | and no competition, | 没有竞争 |
[1:22:56] | and the companies are acting as sort of de facto governments. | 公司在充当实际政府部门 |
[1:23:00] | And then they’re saying, “Well, we can regulate ourselves.” | 然后他们说“我们可以监管自己” |
[1:23:03] | I mean, that’s just a lie. That’s just ridiculous. | 这肯定是骗人的 怎么可能呢 |
[1:23:06] | Financial incentives kind of run the world, | 经济奖励可以说运营着世界 |
[1:23:08] | so any solution to this problem | 所以这个问题的任何解决方案 |
[1:23:12] | has to realign the financial incentives. | 一定要符合经济奖励 |
[1:23:16] | There’s no fiscal reason for these companies to change. | 这些公司没有需要改变的财政理由 |
[1:23:18] | And that is why I think we need regulation. | 所以我才认为 我们需要监管 |
[1:23:21] | The phone company has tons of sensitive data about you, | 手机公司有无数的关于你的敏感数据 |
[1:23:24] | and we have a lot of laws that make sure they don’t do the wrong things. | 我们有很多法律去保证 他们不会利用这些数据做错事 |
[1:23:27] | We have almost no laws around digital privacy, for example. | 在数码隐私上 我们几乎没有立法 |
[1:23:31] | We could tax data collection and processing | 我们可以对数据收集和处理收税 |
[1:23:34] | the same way that you, for example, pay your water bill | 原理等同于你交水费 |
[1:23:37] | by monitoring the amount of water that you use. | 监控你自己的用水量 |
[1:23:39] | You tax these companies on the data assets that they have. | 让这些公司因为持有的数据资产交税 |
[1:23:43] | It gives them a fiscal reason | 就能给他们一个财政理由 |
[1:23:44] | to not acquire every piece of data on the planet. | 不去获取地球上每一条数据 |
[1:23:47] | The law runs way behind on these things, | 立法在这方面太落后了 |
[1:23:50] | but what I know is the current situation exists not for the protection of users, | 但据我所知 当前状况的存在 不是为了保护用户 |
[1:23:55] | but for the protection of the rights and privileges | 而是为了保护这些巨型的 |
[1:23:58] | of these gigantic, incredibly wealthy companies. | 超级富有公司的权利和特权 |
[1:24:02] | Are we always gonna defer to the richest, most powerful people? | 我们要一直听从最有钱 最有权力的人吗? |
[1:24:05] | Or are we ever gonna say, | 还是我们要说 |
[1:24:07] | “You know, there are times when there is a national interest. | “有时候 确实是有国家利益 |
[1:24:12] | There are times when the interests of people, of users, | 有时候 人民的利益 用户利益 |
[1:24:15] | is actually more important | 其实比一个 |
[1:24:18] | than the profits of somebody who’s already a billionaire”? | 已经是亿万富翁的人的利益 更加重要?” |
[1:24:21] | These markets undermine democracy, and they undermine freedom, | 这些市场削弱了民主 削弱了自由 |
[1:24:26] | and they should be outlawed. | 应该对他们进行法律的制裁 |
[1:24:29] | This is not a radical proposal. | 这不是激进的提议 |
[1:24:31] | There are other markets that we outlaw. | 我们有法律制裁的其他市场 |
[1:24:34] | We outlaw markets in human organs. | 我们制裁人类器官贩卖市场 |
[1:24:37] | We outlaw markets in human slaves. | 我们制裁人类奴隶市场 |
[1:24:39] | Because they have inevitable destructive consequences. | 因为它们都有不可避免的破坏性后果 |
[1:24:44] | We live in a world | 我们生活的世界 |
[1:24:45] | in which a tree is worth more, financially, dead than alive, | 死去的树比活着的树更有经济价值 |
[1:24:50] | in a world in which a whale is worth more dead than alive. | 这个世界 死去的鲸 比活着的鲸更有价值 |
[1:24:53] | For so long as our economy works in that way | 只要我们的经济这样运转 |
[1:24:56] | and corporations go unregulated, | 公司不受监管 |
[1:24:58] | they’re going to continue to destroy trees, | 它们就会继续破坏树木 |
[1:25:00] | to kill whales, | 继续捕杀鲸 |
[1:25:01] | to mine the earth, and to continue to pull oil out of the ground, | 在地球上挖矿 从地下抽石油 |
[1:25:06] | even though we know it is destroying the planet | 虽然我们知道 这样做会破坏地球 |
[1:25:08] | and we know that it’s going to leave a worse world for future generations. | 我们知道 这样做会为未来几代人 留下一个更不堪的世界 |
[1:25:12] | This is short term thinking | 这是目光短浅 |
[1:25:13] | based on this religion of profit at all costs, | 为了利益牺牲一切的信仰 |
[1:25:16] | as if somehow, magically, each corporation acting in its selfish interest | 指望每个 只顾自己私利的公司会突然神奇地 |
[1:25:20] | is going to produce the best result. | 去产生最好的结果 |
[1:25:22] | This has been affecting the environment for a long time. | 这已经影响环境很久了 |
[1:25:24] | What’s frightening, and what hopefully is the last straw | 恐怖的是 希望这是 压倒骆驼的最后一根稻草 |
[1:25:27] | that will make us wake up as a civilization | 让我们作为文明的种族 去幡然醒悟 |
[1:25:29] | to how flawed this theory has been in the first place | 这个理论最初就有很多缺点 |
[1:25:31] | is to see that now we’re the tree, we’re the whale. | 让我们看到 我们现在就是树 就是鲸 |
[1:25:35] | Our attention can be mined. | 我们的关注就是被挖掘的矿产 |
[1:25:37] | We are more profitable to a corporation | 如果我们花时间盯着一个屏幕 |
[1:25:39] | if we’re spending time staring at a screen, | 盯着一个广告 对公司而言 |
[1:25:41] | staring at an ad, | 比我们用这个时间 |
[1:25:43] | than if we’re spending that time living our life in a rich way. | 过自己丰富的生活 更加有利可图 |
[1:25:45] | And so, we’re seeing the results of that. | 我们看到了这样的后果 |
[1:25:47] | We’re seeing corporations using powerful artificial intelligence | 我们看到公司利用强大的人工智能 |
[1:25:50] | to outsmart us and figure out how to pull our attention | 凌驾在我们的智能之上 研究怎样拉拢我们的关注 |
[1:25:53] | toward the things they want us to look at, | 让我们去看 他们想让我们看的东西 |
[1:25:55] | rather than the things that are most consistent | 而不是让我们看 与我们目标、价值观 |
[1:25:57] | with our goals and our values and our lives. | 与我们的生活最为一致的东西 |
[1:26:02] | (史蒂夫·乔布斯 今日演讲者) | |
[1:26:05] | What a computer is, | 电脑对我来说 是… |
[1:26:06] | is it’s the most remarkable tool that we’ve ever come up with. | 是我们人类历史上 最神奇的发明 |
[1:26:11] | And it’s the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds. | 相当于是我们思想的自行车 |
[1:26:15] | The idea of humane technology, that’s where Silicon Valley got its start. | 人道技术的创想 是硅谷最初的目标 |
[1:26:21] | And we’ve lost sight of it because it became the cool thing to do, | 我们已经背离了这个目标 因为这样做比较酷 |
[1:26:25] | as opposed to the right thing to do. | 而不是这样做比较正确 |
[1:26:27] | The Internet was, like, a weird, wacky place. | 网络就是一个奇怪的、可笑的地方 |
[1:26:29] | It was experimental. | 它是实验性的 |
[1:26:31] | Creative things happened on the Internet, and certainly, they do still, | 网络上发生着有创意的事情 当然现在也有发生 |
[1:26:34] | but, like, it just feels like this, like, giant mall. | 但是感觉像一个巨大的商场 |
[1:26:38] | You know, it’s just like, “God, there’s gotta be… | 就是“天啊 |
[1:26:42] | there’s gotta be more to it than that.” | 肯定不止表面上这么简单” |
[1:26:46] | I guess I’m just an optimist. | 我想我只是一个乐观主义者 |
[1:26:48] | ‘Cause I think we can change what social media looks like and means. | 因为我认为 我们可以改变社交媒体的样子和方式 |
[1:26:54] | The way the technology works is not a law of physics. | 技术的工作方式不是物理学定律 |
[1:26:56] | It is not set in stone. | 它不是一成不变的 |
[1:26:58] | These are choices that human beings like myself have been making. | 这些都是像我这样的人类 做出的选择 |
[1:27:02] | And human beings can change those technologies. | 人类可以改变这些技术 |
[1:27:06] | And the question now is whether or not we’re willing to admit | 现在的问题是 我们是否愿意承认 |
[1:27:10] | that those bad outcomes are coming directly as a product of our work. | 这些后果 是我们杰作的直接产物 |
[1:27:21] | It’s that we built these things, and we have a responsibility to change it. | 这些东西是我们建立起来的 我们有责任去改变它们 |
[1:27:37] | The attention extraction model | 提取关注模型 |
[1:27:38] | is not how we want to treat human beings. | 不是我们想对待人类的方式 |
[1:27:45] | Is it just me or… | 只有我这样想吗?还是… |
[1:27:49] | Poor sucker. | 可悲的人 |
[1:27:51] | The fabric of a healthy society | 一个健康社会的结构 |
[1:27:53] | depends on us getting off this corrosive business model. | 要依靠我们脱离这种 有破坏性的商业模型 |
[1:28:04] | We can demand that these products be designed humanely. | 我们可以要求 这些产品进行人道设计 |
[1:28:09] | We can demand to not be treated as an extractable resource. | 我们可以要求 不被当做可以提取的资源对待 |
[1:28:15] | The intention could be: “How do we make the world better?” | 我们的动机可以是 “我们怎样让这个世界变得更好?” |
[1:28:20] | Throughout history, | 在整个人类历史中 |
[1:28:21] | every single time something’s gotten better, | 每一次有事物变得更好 |
[1:28:23] | it’s because somebody has come along to say, | 都是因为有人站出来说 |
[1:28:26] | “This is stupid. We can do better.” | “这太蠢了 我们可以做得更好” |
[1:28:29] | Like, it’s the critics that drive improvement. | 是批判者驱动着改进 |
[1:28:33] | It’s the critics who are the true optimists. | 批判者才是真正的乐观主义者 |
[1:28:37] | Hello. | 你好 |
[1:28:46] | I mean, it seems kind of crazy, right? | 感觉有点疯狂 是吧? |
[1:28:47] | It’s like the fundamental way that this stuff is designed… | 这东西的设计基本方式 |
[1:28:52] | isn’t going in a good direction. | 就不会朝着好的方向发展 |
[1:28:55] | Like, the entire thing. | 整个社交媒体 |
[1:28:56] | So, it sounds crazy to say we need to change all that, | 我说要改变这一切 听起来有点疯狂 |
[1:29:01] | but that’s what we need to do. | 但我们需要这样做 |
[1:29:04] | Think we’re gonna get there? | 你觉得这一天能实现吗? |
[1:29:07] | We have to. | 必须要实现 |
[1:29:20] | Um, it seems like you’re very optimistic. | 你似乎非常乐观 |
[1:29:26] | Is that how I sound? | 听起来是这样吗? |
[1:29:27] | Yeah, I mean… | 是 我是说… 我无法相信你一直这样说 |
[1:29:28] | I can’t believe you keep saying that, because I’m like, “Really? | 因为我在想:“真的吗?” |
[1:29:31] | I feel like we’re headed toward dystopia. | 我感觉 我们正走向毁灭而不是乌托邦 |
[1:29:33] | I feel like we’re on the fast track to dystopia, | 我感觉我们正在飞速走向毁灭 |
[1:29:35] | and it’s gonna take a miracle to get us out of it.” | 需要一个奇迹 才能让我们走下这条路“ |
[1:29:37] | And that miracle is, of course, collective will. | 这个奇迹当然是集体意识 |
[1:29:41] | I am optimistic that we’re going to figure it out, | 可我是乐观主义者 我们一定会有办法解决 |
[1:29:44] | but I think it’s gonna take a long time. | 但我认为 可能会用很久的时间 |
[1:29:47] | Because not everybody recognizes that this is a problem. | 因为不是所有的人都意识到了 这是一个问题 |
[1:29:50] | I think one of the big failures in technology today | 我认为当今技术最大的一个失败 |
[1:29:55] | is a real failure of leadership, | 是领导力的真正失败 |
[1:29:58] | of, like, people coming out and having these open conversations | 人们站出来 去公开讨论 |
[1:30:02] | about things that… not just what went well, but what isn’t perfect | 不仅是哪些地方进行得好 还应该讨论哪里不完美 |
[1:30:05] | so that someone can come in and build something new. | 才能让有人介入 构建一些新的东西 |
[1:30:08] | At the end of the day, you know, | 最终 你知道 |
[1:30:10] | this machine isn’t gonna turn around until there’s massive public pressure. | 在有足够的公众压力之前 这台机器是绝对不会回头的 |
[1:30:14] | By having these conversations and… and voicing your opinion, | 通过这些对话 发出你的声音 |
[1:30:18] | in some cases through these very technologies, | 在一些情况下 通过某些特定的技术 |
[1:30:21] | we can start to change the tide. We can start to change the conversation. | 我们可以开始改变趋势 我们可以开始改变对话 |
[1:30:24] | It might sound strange, but it’s my world. It’s my community. | 听起来可能有点奇怪 但这是我的世界 是我生活的环境 |
[1:30:27] | I don’t hate them. I don’t wanna do any harm to Google or Facebook. | 我不恨他们 我不想伤害谷歌或者脸书 |
[1:30:29] | I just want to reform them so they don’t destroy the world. You know? | 我只是想改革它们 别让他们毁了世界 你知道吗? |
[1:30:32] | I’ve uninstalled a ton of apps from my phone | 我在手机上卸载了很多程序 |
[1:30:35] | that I felt were just wasting my time. | 我感觉那些都是浪费时间 |
[1:30:37] | All the social media apps, all the news apps, | 所有的社交媒体程序 所有的新程序 |
[1:30:40] | and I’ve turned off notifications | 我关掉了通知 |
[1:30:42] | on anything that was vibrating my leg with information | 所有那些让我手机震动的通知 |
[1:30:45] | that wasn’t timely and important to me right now. | 不够及时 对现在我来说 并不重要的信息 |
[1:30:49] | It’s for the same reason I don’t keep cookies in my pocket. | 也正是因为同样的理由 我兜里不放饼干 |
[1:30:51] | Reduce the number of notifications you get. | 减少你收到的通知数量 |
[1:30:53] | Turn off notifications. | 关掉通知 |
[1:30:54] | Turning off all notifications. | 关掉所有应用的通知 |
[1:30:56] | I’m not using Google anymore, I’m using Qwant, | 我已经不再用谷歌了 我用Qwant搜索引擎 |
[1:30:58] | which doesn’t store your search history. | 这个引擎不会存储你的搜索历史 |
[1:31:01] | Never accept a video recommended to you on YouTube. | 永远不要接受 YouTube上给你推荐的视频 |
[1:31:04] | Always choose. That’s another way to fight. | 永远自己去选择 这是另一个抗争的方式 |
[1:31:07] | There are tons of Chrome extensions that remove recommendations. | 谷歌浏览器有无数扩展程序 可以移走推荐 |
[1:31:12] | You’re recommending something to undo what you made. | 我很喜欢你推荐一个 撤销你所做东西的东西 |
[1:31:15] | Yep. | 对 |
[1:31:16] | Before you share, fact check, consider the source, do that extra Google. | 在你分享之前 查找一下事实 思考一下信息来源 谷歌搜索一下 |
[1:31:21] | If it seems like it’s something designed to really push your emotional buttons, | 如果这个东西感觉像是 以触发你的情感按钮为目标 |
[1:31:25] | like, it probably is. | 很可能确实是 |
[1:31:26] | Essentially, you vote with your clicks. | 基本可以说 你用点击去投票 |
[1:31:29] | If you click on clickbait, | 如果你点击了钓鱼链接 |
[1:31:30] | you’re creating a financial incentive that perpetuates this existing system. | 你就是在创造一个经济奖励 延续这个已经存在的体系 |
[1:31:33] | Make sure that you get lots of different kinds of information | 在你的生活中 一定要获得 |
[1:31:37] | in your own life. | 各种不同的信息 |
[1:31:37] | I follow people on Twitter that I disagree with | 我会在推特上关注我不认同的人 |
[1:31:41] | because I want to be exposed to different points of view. | 因为我想看到不同的观点 |
[1:31:44] | Notice that many people in the tech industry | 要知道 技术行业中的很多人 |
[1:31:46] | don’t give these devices to their own children. | 不会把这些设备给他们自己的小孩用 |
[1:31:49] | My kids don’t use social media at all. | 我的孩子们完全不使用社交媒体 |
[1:31:51] | Is that a rule, or is that a… | 这是规定 还是… |
[1:31:53] | That’s a rule. | 家规 |
[1:31:55] | We are zealots about it. | 我们对它很狂热 |
[1:31:57] | We’re… We’re crazy. | 我们很疯狂 |
[1:31:59] | And we don’t let our kids have really any screen time. | 我们不会让我们的孩子 拥有任何看屏幕的时间 |
[1:32:05] | I’ve worked out what I think are three simple rules, um, | 我想出了 我自己认为的三个简单原则 |
[1:32:08] | that make life a lot easier for families and that are justified by the research. | 能让生活对家人来说更容易 这是经过研究验证的 |
[1:32:12] | So, the first rule is all devices out of the bedroom | 第一个原则是 在每晚的固定时间 所有设备 |
[1:32:15] | at a fixed time every night. | 不能进入卧室 |
[1:32:17] | Whatever the time is, half an hour before bedtime, all devices out. | 不管是什么时间 睡前半小时 所有设备全都拿出去 |
[1:32:20] | The second rule is no social media until high school. | 第二个原则是 高中之前禁止使用社交媒体 |
[1:32:24] | Personally, I think the age should be 16. | 我个人认为 这个年龄应该是16岁 |
[1:32:26] | Middle school’s hard enough. Keep it out until high school. | 初中已经够难了 上高中之前别用了 |
[1:32:29] | And the third rule is work out a time budget with your kid. | 第三个原则是 和你的孩子研究出一个时间预算 |
[1:32:33] | And if you talk with them and say, | 如果你和他们聊 去说 |
[1:32:34] | “Well, how many hours a day do you wanna spend on your device? | “你每天想在你的设备上花多少时间 |
[1:32:38] | What do you think is a good amount?” | 你觉得适合的时长是多少” |
[1:32:39] | they’ll often say something pretty reasonable. | 他们通常会说出一个很合理的时长 |
[1:32:42] | Well, look, I know perfectly well | 看 我非常清楚 |
[1:32:44] | that I’m not gonna get everybody to delete their social media accounts, | 我无法让所有人删除社交媒体账号 |
[1:32:48] | but I think I can get a few. | 但我想我可以让几个人这样做 |
[1:32:50] | And just getting a few people to delete their accounts matters a lot, | 让几个人删除账号 就已经能产生很大影响了 |
[1:32:54] | and the reason why is that that creates the space for a conversation | 理由是 这样能创造一个对话的空间 |
[1:32:58] | because I want there to be enough people out in the society | 因为我想让社会中有足够的人 |
[1:33:00] | who are free of the manipulation engines to have a societal conversation | 这些人不受到引擎的操纵 能够进行社交对话 |
[1:33:05] | that isn’t bounded by the manipulation engines. | 没有受到操纵引擎的牵制 |
[1:33:07] | So, do it! Get out of the system. | 这样做吧!退出这个体系 |
[1:33:10] | Yeah, delete. Get off the stupid stuff. | 对 删掉 下线这个愚蠢的东西 |
[1:33:13] | The world’s beautiful. Look. Look, it’s great out there. | 世界很美丽 你们看 外面的世界很美好 |
[1:33:18] | (在社交媒体上关注我们!) | |
[1:33:20] | (开玩笑的) | |
[1:33:21] | (我们来聊聊怎样解决这个问题 登录TheSocialDilemma.com) |