英文名称:Chinatown
年代:1974
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[02:35] | All right, Curly, enough’s enough. | 好了 克力 够了 |
[02:36] | You can’t eat the Venetian blinds. I just had them installed on Wednesday. | 你总不能把百叶窗吃了吧 我可是星期三才把它装上 |
[02:57] | Down the hatch. | 喝一杯吧 |
[03:11] | – She’s no good. – What can I tell you, kid? You’re right. | – 她并不好 – 我该怎么跟你说呢? |
[03:14] | When you’re right, you’re right. | 当你是正确的时候 你就是对的 |
[03:16] | And you’re right. | 那这一次 你是对的 |
[03:19] | I’ll pay you the rest next week. | 剩下的我会下个星期付给你 |
[03:21] | We only caught 60 tonne of skipjack down in San Benedict. | 我们只捕到了60吨飞鱼 |
[03:24] | And they don’t pay you the same for skipjack as they do albacore or tuna. | 而且 飞鱼比金枪鱼赚得少 |
[03:27] | Forget it, will you, Curly? | 算了吧…你会吗?克力 |
[03:28] | I only brought it up to illustrate a point. I don’t want your last dime. | 我只是想让你明白这一点 我不会拿走你最后的一毛钱 |
[03:32] | What kind of a guy do you think I am? | 我不是你想得那种人 |
[03:34] | – Thank you, Mr. Gittes. – Call me Jake. | – 谢谢你 吉特斯先生 – 有事打电话 |
[03:37] | Careful driving home, Curl, huh? | 开车回家小心点 克力 |
[03:40] | Mrs. Mulwray’s waiting for you with Mr. Walsh and Mr. Duffy. | 莫瑞夫人正在等你 还有沃尔什先生和达菲先生 |
[03:45] | Mrs. Mulwray, may I present Mr. Gittes? | 莫瑞夫人 我来给你介绍下吉特斯先生 |
[03:48] | – Mrs. Mulwray, how do you do? – Mr. Gittes. | – 莫瑞夫人 你好 – 吉特斯先生 |
[03:52] | Now, what seems to be the problem? | 出了什么问题吗? |
[03:56] | My husband, | 是我的丈夫… |
[03:58] | I believe, is seeing another woman. | 我觉得他在跟另一个女人幽会 |
[04:02] | – No. Really? – I’m afraid so. | – 哦…真的吗? – 恐怕是的 |
[04:06] | I am sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[04:07] | Mr. Gittes, please, do you think we could discuss this alone? | 吉特斯先生 我们能单独谈谈吗? |
[04:13] | I’m afraid not, Mrs. Mulwray. These are my operatives, | 恐怕不行 他们是我的侦探… |
[04:16] | and at some point, they’re going to have to assist me. | 有些时候 他们得帮我 |
[04:20] | I can’t do everything myself. | 有些事情我自己可做不来 |
[04:22] | Of course not. | 这很正常 |
[04:24] | Now, | 好吧… |
[04:29] | what makes you certain that your husband is | 是什么让你确信你丈夫 |
[04:33] | involved with someone? | 跟别人有瓜葛? |
[04:35] | A wife can tell. | 作为妻子 我能感觉得到 |
[04:38] | Mrs. Mulwray, do you love your husband? | 莫瑞夫人 你爱你的丈夫吗? |
[04:42] | Yes, of course! | 是的 当然 |
[04:43] | – Then go home and forget everything. – But, I… | – 那就回家然后把这些都忘了吧 – 但我… |
[04:46] | I’m sure that he loves you, too, Mrs. Mulwray. | 我肯定他也爱你 莫瑞夫人 |
[04:48] | Do you know the expression, “Let sleeping dogs lie”? | 知道“别自找麻烦”这句话吗? |
[04:53] | You’re better off not knowing. | 你最好还是什么都不要知道 |
[04:56] | I have to know. | 我一定要知道 |
[05:02] | Very well. | 那好吧 |
[05:05] | What is your husband’s first name? | 你丈夫叫什么名字? |
[05:08] | Hollis. | 霍利斯 |
[05:09] | Hollis Mulwray. | 霍利斯·莫瑞 |
[05:12] | – Water and Power? – He’s Chief Engineer. | – 水利能源部的? – 他是总工程师 |
[05:16] | Chief Engineer? | 总工程师? |
[05:25] | Mrs. Mulwray, this… | 莫瑞夫人 这个… |
[05:27] | This type of investigation can be hard on your pocketbook. | 这种类型的调查可能会花去不少钱 |
[05:32] | It takes time… | 我们需要时间… |
[05:34] | Money doesn’t matter to me, Mr. Gittes. | 钱对我来说不是问题 |
[05:40] | Okay, we’II… | 好吧 我们… |
[05:43] | We’ll see what we can do. | 看看能做点什么 |
[05:46] | Gentlemen, today you can walk out that door, | 先生们 现如今你只需走出家门 |
[05:48] | turn right, hop a streetcar, and within 25 minutes, | 你可以跳上一辆电车 25分钟以后 |
[05:51] | end up smack in the Pacific Ocean. | 就到终点太平洋 |
[05:54] | Now, you can swim in it and you can fish in it, but you can’t drink it, | 你可以在那儿游泳 钓鱼 不过那个水可不能喝 |
[05:58] | and you can’t irrigate an orange grove with it. | 不能用它浇灌桔子林 |
[06:01] | Now remember, we live next door to the ocean, | 请记得 虽然我们生活在海洋附近 |
[06:04] | but we also live on the edge of a desert. | 可同时 我们也生活在沙漠的边缘 |
[06:07] | Los Angeles is a desert community. | 洛杉矶是一个沙漠地区 |
[06:10] | Beneath this building, beneath our streets, is a desert. | 这座建筑之下的就是沙漠 |
[06:13] | And without water, the dust will rise up and cover us | 如果没有水 沙子就会上升 覆盖我们 |
[06:16] | as though we never existed. | 就像我们从来就没有存在过一样 |
[06:18] | Now, the Alto Vallejo can save us from this, | 这个艾尔透 瓦列霍计划能让我们避免这件事 |
[06:21] | and I respectfully suggest that $8.5 million | 我认为850万美元是一笔值得花费的资金 |
[06:25] | is a fair price to pay to keep the desert from our streets | 只需这点钱就可以让沙漠远离我们的街道 |
[06:29] | and not on top of them. | 而不要覆盖它们… |
[06:31] | Hear, hear! | 认真听 |
[06:36] | Mayor Bagby, let’s hear from all the departments again. | 贝格柏市长…我们再来听听各部门的意见 |
[06:40] | I suppose we’d better take Water and Power first. | 我建议从水利能源部开始吧 |
[06:44] | Mr. Mulwray? | 莫瑞先生? |
[06:56] | In case you’ve forgotten, gentlemen, | 各位 不知大家是否还记得 |
[06:58] | over 500 lives were lost when the Van der Lip Dam gave way. | 范德利普大坝倒塌的时候 有500多人死亡 |
[07:04] | Core samples have shown that beneath this bedrock | 根据我们取得的样品 这种页岩 |
[07:07] | is shale similar to the permeable shale in the Van der Lip disaster. | 跟范德利普灾害中的渗透性页岩性质相似 |
[07:12] | It couldn’t withstand that kind of pressure. | 它承担不了那么大的水压 |
[07:15] | And now you propose yet another dirt-banked terminus dam | 而现在你们计划建造另外一个… |
[07:19] | with slopes of 2.5:1 , 112 feet high, | …坡度为2.5到1度 高112英尺 |
[07:22] | and a 12,000-acre water surface. | 面积一万二英亩的泥土堤坝的话 |
[07:26] | Well, it won’t hold. | 它一定承受不了 |
[07:28] | I won’t build it. It’s that simple. | 我是不会建的 就这么简单 |
[07:30] | I’m not going to make the same mistake twice. | 我不想同样的错误犯两次 |
[07:33] | Thank you, gentlemen. | 谢谢你 先生 |
[07:41] | Quiet! Quiet! | 肃静 肃静 |
[07:46] | What the hell do you think you’re doing? Get those goddamn things out of here! | 你们到底在做什么? 把这些该死的东西弄出去 |
[07:50] | – Hold some of them. – Tell me where to take them! | – 稳住他们 – 你告诉我把它们弄到哪儿去? |
[07:52] | You don’t have an answer for that so quick, do you? | 你自己都不知道该怎么办 是不是? |
[07:56] | You steal water from the Valley, ruin the grazing, | 你们把水从山谷里弄走了 你们毁了我们的牧草 |
[08:00] | starve the livestock! | 饿死了我们的牲畜… |
[08:02] | Who’s paying you to do that, Mr. Mulwray? | 莫瑞!谁指使你这么干的? |
[08:05] | That’s what I want to know! | 这是我想知道的! |
[12:53] | – Jeez, he was there all night. – That’s right. | – 哎 他一个晚上都在那里 – 可不是嘛 |
[12:57] | I had to go back three times to pick up the watches. | 为了跟踪监视他 我不得不返回去三次 |
[13:07] | Yesterday he went to three reservoirs, | 昨天他去了三个水库 |
[13:09] | a men’s room at a Richfield gas station, and The Pig’n Whistle. | 一个男人家里 还去了酒吧 |
[13:12] | The guy’s got water on the brain. | 那家伙八成脑子进水了 |
[13:27] | So what do you got? | 你有什么消息? |
[13:51] | This? | 就这些? |
[13:52] | Well, they got into a terrific argument outside The Pig’n Whistle. | 他们争吵的很激烈 就在酒吧外面 |
[13:58] | What about? | 争论什么? |
[13:59] | I don’t know. The traffic was pretty loud. | 我不知道 过往车辆噪音太大 |
[14:02] | I heard only one thing, though. | 我就听见一个词 |
[14:04] | “Apple core.” | “苹果核” |
[14:06] | – “Apple core”? – Yeah. | – “苹果核”? – 嗯 |
[14:12] | My God, Walsh, is that what you spent your day doing? | 以这一天就干了这点儿活? |
[14:15] | Look, you tell me to take pictures, I take pictures. | 你说让我去拍照片啊 我拍了 |
[14:18] | Let me explain something to you, Walsh. | 沃尔什 我得给你解释一下 |
[14:21] | J.J. Gittes and Associates. | 杰克·吉特斯和助手 |
[14:22] | This business requires a certain amount of finesse. | 这桩买卖需要耍些手段 |
[14:29] | What is it, Sophie? | 什么事 苏菲? |
[14:30] | Duffy’s on the phone. | 达菲的电话 |
[14:37] | – Yeah, Duff, where are you? – I got it! | – 达菲 你在哪儿? – 我找到了 |
[14:39] | He’s found himself some cute little twist, the old buzzard… | 那个贪心的家伙跟个姑娘在一起 |
[14:41] | Okay. Slow down. Where are you? | 好 慢点说 你在哪儿? |
[14:43] | I’m at Glendale and Douglas. | 我在格伦代尔和道格拉斯这里 |
[14:45] | They’re in Echo Park in a rowboat. A rowboat! | 他们在埃克公园 在划艇上 |
[14:48] | Okay. | 好的… |
[14:52] | Echo Park. | 埃克公园 |
[14:53] | Water again. | 又是水 |
[15:08] | Okay, pal, let’s have us a big smile. | 来 伙计 笑一下 |
[15:19] | You’ll love it. | 你会喜欢的 |
[16:11] | Here. Let me… | 过来 让我… |
[16:25] | When you get so much publicity, you got to get blas?about it. | 当你也得到这么多宣传时 |
[16:28] | Let’s face it, Jake, you’re practically a movie star. | 你也和电影明星了差不多了 |
[16:37] | – Just look at that, Barn. – Yeah, the heat’s murder. | – 看那个 贝恩 – 是啊 太热的缘故 |
[16:40] | Sure is. | 当然是了 |
[16:41] | Fools’ names and fools’ faces. | 白痴名字 白痴面孔 |
[16:48] | – What’s that, pal? – Nothing. | – 那是什么 伙计? – 没什么 |
[16:51] | You got a hell of a way to make a living. | 你找到了谋生的方法了? |
[16:53] | Oh? And what do you do to make ends meet? | 哦?你怎么让收支平衡? |
[16:56] | Mortgage department, First National Bank. | 我在第一国家银行抵押部工作 |
[17:00] | Tell me, did you foreclose on many families this week? | 你这周是不是取消了很多家庭 赎回抵押的权利? |
[17:03] | We don’t publish a record in the paper, I can tell you that. | 我们不会把记录在报纸上公布的 这是我能告诉你的 |
[17:06] | Neither do I. | 我也不会 |
[17:07] | No, you have your press agent do it. | 对 不过你让你的新闻代理帮你做 |
[17:10] | Who is this bimbo, Barney? Is he a regular customer or what? | 这个大蠢货是谁?是你们的常客吗? |
[17:13] | Hey, listen, pal, I make an honest living. | 你听着 我老老实实是挣钱 |
[17:15] | People only come to me when they’re in a desperate situation. | 人们绝望的时候来我这里 我帮助他们 |
[17:17] | I help them out. I don’t kick families out of their houses | 我不像你一样 把人们从房子里赶出来 |
[17:20] | – like you bums down at the bank do! – Jake, can I tell you about the guy who… | – 就像你们这群废物在银行做的那样 – 杰克 我可以告诉你… |
[17:23] | Maybe you’d like to step down out of the barber chair | 也许你想从理发椅上下来 |
[17:24] | and maybe we can go outside and discuss it. | 和我到外面谈谈谈 你觉得呢? |
[17:26] | – What do you think? – Oh, come on. | – 你觉得怎么样? – 哦 少来了 |
[17:27] | Jake, let me tell you about the guy who got tired… | 听我跟你说说这个家伙… |
[17:29] | I don’t know how that thing got in the newspaper. | 我不知道怎么上的报纸 |
[17:31] | It was so quick, I didn’t even know it myself. | 快得连我自己都不知道 |
[17:33] | – Thank you. – I make an honest living! | – 谢谢 – 做人要诚实 |
[17:35] | Of course you do. | 你当然是 |
[17:37] | Anyway, this guy who got tired of screwing his wife | 不管怎样 这个家伙厌烦弄他的妻子了 |
[17:39] | – said to his friend, “What do I do?” – An honest living, you understand? | – 对朋友说 “我该怎么办?” – 真正的人生 懂吗? |
[17:42] | So the guy says, “Why don’t you do what the Chinese do?” | 所以他的朋友说他应该像中国人那样做 |
[17:44] | He says, “What do the Chinese do?” | 他问“中国人怎么做?” |
[17:45] | He says, “The Chinese they screw a little and they get tired…” | 他说 “当中国人搞砸了事情之后 有点疲惫 |
[17:49] | Duffy. Hey, Walsh! | 达菲 嗨 沃尔什 |
[17:51] | Sophie, go to the little girls’ room for a minute, okay? | 苏菲 先去洗手间呆一会儿 |
[17:55] | – But, Mr. Gittes… – Sophie… | – 可是 吉特斯先生… – 苏菲 |
[17:59] | Yes, Mr. Gittes. | 是的 吉特斯先生 |
[18:00] | – Jake… – Duffy, listen to me, man. | – 杰克 – 达菲 听我说 伙计 |
[18:01] | I want to tell you a story. | 我给你们讲个故事 |
[18:03] | So, there’s this guy, Walsh, you understand? | 有个家伙…沃尔什 知道吗? |
[18:05] | He’s tired of screwing his wife. | 厌倦于弄他的妻子了.. |
[18:07] | – Jake, there’s a problem… – Wait a second, Duffy. | – 杰克 有个问题 – 等会儿再说 先别着急 |
[18:09] | You’re always in such a hurry. | 你就是太心急了 |
[18:10] | So his friend says to him, | 他朋友告诉他 |
[18:12] | “Hey, why don’t you do it like the Chinese do?” | “喂 为什么不像中国人那么做?” |
[18:14] | So he says, “Well, how do the Chinese do it?” | 他就问““中国人怎么做?” |
[18:16] | The guy says, “Well, the Chinese, first they screw a little bit, | 这家伙说 “这样 他先弄一会儿 |
[18:19] | “then they stop and they go and read a little Confucius. | 然后停下来 读一下孔子的书… |
[18:22] | “Come back, screw a little bit more, then they stop again, | …再回来 多弄一会 然后又停下来… |
[18:25] | – “go back and they screw a little…” – Jake. | – 然后再回来 又弄一会” – 杰克 |
[18:27] | Walsh, just listen to me for a second. | 沃尔什 好好听 |
[18:29] | I mean, you’ll love this. | 你会喜欢的 |
[18:31] | Now, then they go back and they screw a little bit more, | 他们再回来 再多弄一会儿… |
[18:34] | and then they go out and they contemplate the moon | 然后他们出去 凝望月亮 |
[18:36] | or something like that. Makes it more exciting. | 或者其他的东西 这样更刺激 |
[18:39] | So, now, the guy goes home and he starts screwing his own wife, see. | 所以 现在这个家伙回家了 开始弄他自己的妻子 |
[18:43] | So, he screws her for a little bit, and then he stops. | 他弄一会儿 然后停下 |
[18:45] | He goes out of the room and reads LIFE magazine. | 出去读一会儿生活杂志 |
[18:48] | Then he goes back in, he starts screwing again, | 然后他回来继续弄 |
[18:50] | and he says, “Excuse me for a minute, honey” | 然后他又说: “请原谅 亲爱的” |
[18:52] | and he goes out and he smokes a cigarette. | 然后再出去 抽根烟 |
[18:54] | Now, his wife is getting sore as hell. | 他的妻子很恼火 |
[18:56] | He comes back in the room, he starts screwing again, | 当回到卧室后 他又开始弄 |
[18:58] | he gets up to start to leave again to go look at the moon, | 当他再一次要出去看月亮的时候 |
[19:00] | she looks at him and says, “Hey, what’s the matter with you? | 她就忍不住说:“喂 你到底怎么了? |
[19:02] | “You’re screwing just like a Chinaman!” | 怎么象中国人那么干?” |
[19:07] | Jesus! | 天哪 |
[19:08] | That Barney! | 那个巴尼… |
[19:15] | Mr. Gittes? | 吉特斯先生 |
[19:18] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:20] | Do you know me? | 你认识我吗? |
[19:23] | Well, | 嗯… |
[19:26] | I think I would have remembered. | 我觉得自己会记得的 |
[19:28] | Have we ever met? | 我们见过面吗? |
[19:33] | Well, no. | 这个嘛…没有 |
[19:34] | Never? | 从来没有? |
[19:36] | Never. | 没有 |
[19:37] | That’s what I thought. | 我也是这么想的 |
[19:39] | You see, I’m Mrs. Evelyn Mulwray. | 我是伊夫琳 莫瑞夫人 |
[19:41] | You know, Mr. Mulwray’s wife? | 莫瑞先生的妻子 |
[19:45] | Not that Mulwray? | 不是那个莫瑞吧? |
[19:48] | Yes, Mr. Gittes, that Mulwray. | 是的 吉特斯先生 就是那个莫瑞 |
[19:52] | And since you agree with me that we’ve never met before, | 既然你承认我们从来都没有见过… |
[19:55] | you must also agree with me that I never hired you to do anything, | 你也一定同意 我从来都有雇过你 |
[19:59] | certainly not spy on my husband. | 去跟踪我的丈夫 |
[20:01] | I see you like publicity, Mr. Gittes. | 我发现你很喜欢公众的注意 吉特斯先生 |
[20:05] | Well, you’re going to get it. | 你会得到的 |
[20:08] | Now, wait a minute, Mrs. Mulwray. | 等一下 莫瑞夫人 |
[20:10] | I think there’s been some misunderstanding here. | 这儿有点误会 |
[20:12] | There’s no point in getting tough with me. I’m just… | 其实你没必要跟我这么强硬 我只是… |
[20:14] | I don’t get tough with anyone, Mr. Gittes. | 我不会对任何人强硬 |
[20:17] | My lawyer does. | 我的律师会这样 |
[20:20] | Here’s something for you, Mr. Gittes. | 有东西要给你 吉特斯先生 |
[20:26] | I suppose we’ll be hearing from your attorney. | 希望你的律师会跟我们联系 |
[20:45] | – Mr. Mulwray? – He’s not in, Mr… | – 莫瑞先生在吗? – 他不在 你是… |
[20:47] | – Gittes. – May I ask what this is regarding? | – 吉特斯 – 可以问一下有什么事吗? |
[20:50] | It’s a personal matter. Has he been gone long? | 是私人事情 他走了很久吗? |
[20:52] | Since lunch. | 午饭的时候走的 |
[20:54] | – Gee whiz, and I’m late. – He was expecting you? | – 唉 我来晚了 – 他在等你吗? |
[20:57] | Fifteen minutes ago. Why don’t I just go in and wait? | 15分钟前 我为什么不进去进去等他呢 |
[21:02] | Sir? | 先生! |
[21:07] | Is Mr. Yelburton there? | 伊尔伯特先生在吗? |
[21:10] | Is he still in the building? | 他还在这里吗? |
[21:13] | Very well. Thank you. | 很好 谢谢 |
[22:37] | Can I help you? Russ Yelburton, Deputy Chief of the department. | 我能帮你吗?我是阿什·伊尔伯特 副总 |
[22:41] | J.J. Gittes. | 我是杰克·吉特斯 |
[22:42] | It’s not a departmental matter, Mr. Yelburton. | 不是关于部门的事 伊尔伯特先生 |
[22:45] | I wonder if you’d care to wait in my office. | 你介意在我的办公室等吗? |
[22:47] | Certainly. | 当然不 |
[22:49] | We’re a bit nervous around here | 对于报纸上关于莫瑞先生的事情… |
[22:52] | with all this business in the papers about Mr. Mulwray. | 我们多少有点敏感 |
[22:55] | Right this way. | 这边走 |
[23:02] | You know, after you’ve worked with a man for a certain length of time, | 当你跟一个人一起工作一段时间以后… |
[23:07] | you come to know his habits, his values. | 你就会知道他的习惯和价值 |
[23:10] | You come to know him. | 就会了解他 |
[23:11] | And either he’s the kind who chases after women or he isn’t. | 也会知道他是否那种拈花惹草的人 |
[23:14] | And Mulwray isn’t? | 那莫瑞先生不是这种人? |
[23:15] | He never even kids about it. | 他甚至不开这方面的玩笑 |
[23:18] | Well, maybe he takes it very seriously. | 可能他对这事非常认真 |
[23:23] | – Sit down. – No, thank you. | – 请坐 – 不了 谢谢 |
[23:26] | Do you know where Mulwray’s having lunch? | 你知道他去哪儿吃午饭? |
[23:28] | No, I’m sorry, I don’t. | 很抱歉 我不知道 |
[23:31] | Well, tell him I’ll be back. | 那跟他说我会回来 |
[23:34] | I will. | 我会的 |
[23:37] | Do you mind if I take one of your cards? | 你介意我拿你一张名片吗? |
[23:38] | In case I have to get in touch with you again. | 以便跟你再次联系? |
[23:40] | – No, help yourself. – Thank you. | – 请自便 – 谢谢 |
[23:47] | Mulvihill! What are you doing here? | 莫威黑尔 你在这儿干吗? |
[23:49] | They shut my water off. What’s it to you? | 他们把我的水停了 你在这干嘛? |
[23:52] | How’d you find out about it? You don’t drink it. | 你怎么发现的? 你也没喝水 |
[23:55] | You don’t take a bath in it. | 也不在那儿洗澡… |
[23:58] | They wrote you a letter! | 他们给你写了一封信 |
[24:00] | But then you’d have to be able to read. | 那也要你识字才行啊 |
[24:04] | Relax, Mulvihill. Glad to see you. You know Claude Mulvihill here? | 放松点 见到你很高兴 你认识克劳德·莫威黑尔吗? |
[24:08] | Well, I hope so. He’s working for us. | 我想是的 他给我们工作 |
[24:11] | Doing what? | 做什么? |
[24:12] | Well, frankly, there have been some threats | 坦白地说 有一些威胁要… |
[24:14] | to blow up the city reservoirs. | 炸毁城市的水库 |
[24:16] | – Any particular reason? – Well, it’s this darn drought. | – 有什么特殊的原因吗? – 这个嘛 因为配给 |
[24:18] | We’ve had to ration water in the Valley and the farmers are desperate. | 我们不得不配给水谷 那些农民感到绝望 |
[24:21] | But what can we do? The rest of the city needs drinking water. | 但我们能做什么呢?城市需要饮用水 |
[24:24] | – Well, you’re in luck, Mr. Yelburton. – How’s that? | – 嗯你很幸运 有了莫威黑尔先生 – 怎么说? |
[24:26] | When Mulvihill here was Sheriff of Ventura County, | 莫威黑尔在当治安官的时候 |
[24:29] | the rum runners landed hundredsof tonnes of booze on the beach | 那些朗姆酒经营商放了成吨的酒在海滩上 |
[24:32] | and never lost a drop. | 一滴都没丢过 |
[24:35] | He ought to be able to hold on to your water for you. | 他应该可以帮你保存你的水 |
[25:38] | J.J. Gittes to see Mr. Mulwray. | 我是杰克.吉特斯 来见莫瑞先生 |
[26:05] | Please. | 请进 |
[26:22] | You wait. | 稍等 |
[27:25] | – Bad for glass. – Yeah. Sure. | – 对玻璃不好 – 是的 当然. |
[27:29] | Bad for the glass. | 对玻璃不好. |
[28:08] | Mr. Gittes. | 吉特斯先生 |
[28:09] | Actually, I came to see your husband, Mrs. Mulwray. | 事实上 我来找你的丈夫 |
[28:15] | Would you like something to drink? | 你要喝点什么? |
[28:17] | What are you having? | 你有什么? |
[28:18] | – Iced tea. – That’ll be fine, thank you. | – 冰茶 – 它就很好 谢谢 |
[28:21] | – Two iced teas, Kahn, please? – Yes, ma’am. | – 两杯冰茶 卡恩 – 是 夫人 |
[28:26] | My husband’s at the office. | 我丈夫在办公室 |
[28:29] | Actually, he’s not, Mrs. Mulwray, | 事实上 他不在 莫瑞夫人 |
[28:32] | and he’s checked out of his apartment at the El Macondo. | 而且他刚刚为在伊尔马康多的公寓付了钱 |
[28:34] | That’s not his apartment. | 那不是他的公寓. |
[28:39] | Anyway, I… | 总之 我… |
[28:42] | The point is, is I’m not in business to be loved, but I am in business, | 问题是 我不是在讨论爱的问题… |
[28:45] | and believe me, Mrs. Mulwray, whoever set your husband up, | …可是我在做生意 不管是谁 他在把陷害你丈夫的时候 |
[28:48] | set me up. | 也陷害了我 |
[28:49] | L.A.’s a small town. People talk. | 洛杉矶是一个小地方 大家传来传去 |
[28:51] | I’m just trying to make a living. I don’t want to become a local joke. | 我只想在这儿生活 不想变成本地的笑话 |
[28:55] | Mr. Gittes, you’ve talked me into it. I’ll drop the lawsuit. | 吉特斯先生 你说服我了 我会撤消诉讼 |
[28:58] | – What? – I said, I’ll drop the lawsuit. | – 什么? – 我会撤消诉讼 撤销一切 |
[29:01] | So let’s just drop the whole thing. | 所以说我们就放弃整个事情 |
[29:03] | – Sugar, lemon, or both? – Both. | – 糖还是柠檬 还是两个都要? – 都要… |
[29:05] | – Mrs. Mulwray… – Yes, Mr. Gittes? | – 莫瑞太太 我不想放弃 – 什么?吉特斯先生 |
[29:07] | …I don’t want to drop it. | 我不想放弃 |
[29:10] | I better talk to your husband about this. | 我最好跟你丈夫谈谈 |
[29:13] | Why? What on Earth for? | 为什么?要做什么呢? |
[29:16] | Hollis seems to think you’re an innocent man. | 霍利斯似乎也觉得你是无辜的 |
[29:19] | Well, I’ve been accused of a lot of things before, Mrs. Mulwray, | 在莫瑞先生的事之前 我已经被控告过 因为很多事情… |
[29:22] | but never that. | 但从来没有这样的 |
[29:23] | Look, somebody’s gone to a lot of trouble here, | 有人会有很多麻烦 |
[29:25] | and lawsuit or no lawsuit, I intend to find out. | 不管诉讼不诉讼 我想查清楚 |
[29:27] | I’m not supposed to be the one who’s caught with his pants down. | 我可不想毫无防备的被人整 |
[29:31] | So unless it’s a problem, I’d like to talk to your husband. | 除非有什么问题 否则我想跟你丈夫谈谈 |
[29:33] | Why should it be a problem? | 为什么必须要有问题? |
[29:35] | – May I speak frankly, Mrs. Mulwray? – You may if you can, Mr. Gittes. | – 我可以坦白说吗 莫瑞夫人? – 如果你能 当然可以 |
[29:41] | Well, that little girlfriend, she was pretty, | 那个年轻的女朋友 很可爱 |
[29:43] | in a cheap sort of a way, of course. | 当然 某种程度上 不值钱… |
[29:45] | She’s disappeared. Maybe they disappeared together. | 她失踪了 也许他们一起失踪了 |
[29:49] | Suppose they did. How does that affect you? | 如果他们真的消失了 那又关你什么事? |
[29:52] | – It’s nothing personal, Mrs. Mulwray. – It’s very personal! | – 这并不一件私人的事情 莫瑞太太 – 完全是私事 |
[29:55] | It couldn’t be more personal. | 不能比这再私人了 |
[29:58] | Is this business or an obsession with you? | 你对这件事很着迷吗? |
[30:01] | Let’s look at it this way. | 你看 我们这样… |
[30:03] | Now, this phony broad, excuse the language, | 那个贱女人 请原谅我的用词 |
[30:07] | she tells me she’s you. She hires me. | 跟我说她是你 然后雇佣了我 |
[30:10] | Now, whoever put her up to it doesn’t have anything against me. | 不管是谁让她干的 他的目的 不是对付我 |
[30:12] | They’re out to get your husband. | 而是你的丈夫 |
[30:13] | If I can see him, I can help him. | 如果我能见见他 我就能帮帮他 |
[30:19] | Did you talk to him this morning? | 你今天早上跟他谈过吗? |
[30:22] | No. | 没有 |
[30:24] | I went riding rather early. | 我很早就去骑马了 |
[30:26] | Looks like you went quite a distance. | 你好像骑了很远 |
[30:28] | I was riding bareback. | 我没有用马鞍 |
[30:32] | You… | 你… |
[30:34] | You might try the Oak Pass or the Stone Canyon Reservoir. | 你到橡树关口或者石头峡谷水库看看 |
[30:37] | Frequently, at lunch, Hollis takes walks around them. | 通常午餐后 他会在那散步 |
[30:38] | Otherwise, he’ll be home by 6:30. | 要不然 6:30之前就回家了 |
[30:40] | I’ll stop by. | 我会再来 |
[30:42] | Please call first. | 事先打个电话 |
[31:00] | Sorry, closed to public, sir. | 对不起 不对公众开放 先生 |
[31:03] | Oh, that’s all right, Officer. | 我知道 警官… |
[31:07] | Russ Yelburton, Deputy Chief of the department. | 我是阿什 伊尔伯特 这个部的副总 |
[31:10] | – Sorry, Mr. Yelburton. Go on down. – That’s okay. | – 抱歉 伊尔伯特先生 过去吧 – 没事 |
[31:39] | – Gittes! For Christ’s sake! – Loach. | – 吉特斯 天哪 – 卢治 |
[31:42] | – Get out of here before he sees you. – What are you talking about? | – 在他看见你之前快离开 – 你说什么呢? |
[31:44] | – What’s going on here? – Loach! | – 发生什么事了? – 卢治 |
[31:48] | Hello, Jake. | 嗨 杰克 |
[31:50] | Lou. How are you? | 卢 你好吗? |
[31:53] | Lousy cold I can’t seem to shake, but otherwise, I’m okay. | 除了有点冷 其他还好 |
[31:58] | – Yeah, summer colds are the worst. – Yeah, they are. | – 夏天的冷最讨厌了 – 可不是嘛 |
[32:02] | There’s no smoking here, sir… | 这儿不许抽烟 先生 |
[32:04] | That’s all right, Officer. We can make an exception this time. | 没事的 这次可以例外 |
[32:07] | I’ll see he’s careful with the matches and doesn’t burn himself. | 我会看着他 让他小心火柴 不要烧到自己 |
[32:10] | Thanks, Lou. | 谢了 卢 |
[32:12] | How’d you get past the guard? | 你怎么让门卫放行的? |
[32:15] | Well, to tell you the truth, I lied a little. | 说实话 我撒了一个小谎 |
[32:19] | You look like you’ve done well by yourself. | 你看起来干的不错 |
[32:22] | I get by. | 马马虎虎 |
[32:23] | Well, sometimes it takes a while for a man to find himself. | 有的时候人要找到自己需要花 一点时间 |
[32:27] | Maybe you have. | 你也许做到了 |
[32:28] | Yeah, going through other people’s dirty linen. | 呵呵 靠别人的家丑过日子 |
[32:31] | Yeah. Tell me, you still putting Chinamen in jail | 告诉我 你还是因为他们在洗衣店吐口水 |
[32:35] | for spitting in the laundry? | 而把中国佬送进监狱吗? |
[32:38] | You’re a little behind the times, Jake. | 你有点跟不上时代了 杰克 |
[32:40] | They use steam irons now. | 他们现在用蒸汽熨斗了 |
[32:43] | And I’m out of Chinatown. | 我现在也不在唐人街了 |
[32:45] | Since when? | 什么时候? |
[32:47] | Since I made lieutenant. | 从我当上副手以后 |
[32:50] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[32:53] | – What are you doing around here? – I’m looking for somebody. | – 你在这儿干吗? – 我想找个找人 |
[32:57] | Who? | 谁? |
[32:58] | Hollis Mulwray. You seen him? | 霍利斯·默瑞 你见过他吗? |
[33:01] | Yeah. | 见过 |
[33:03] | I’d like to talk to him. | 我想跟他谈谈 |
[33:06] | So you’d like to talk to him, huh? | 你是想跟他谈谈… |
[33:10] | You’re welcome to try. | 你可以去试试 |
[33:13] | There he is. | 他在那儿 |
[33:32] | Looks like he was washed down the entire length of the run-off channel. | 看起来他好像被冲着滑过了整个水道 |
[33:37] | – Could he swim? – Of course. | – 他会游泳吗? – 当然 |
[33:41] | Obviously, the fall must have knocked him unconscious. | 很显然 跌下去后他失去了知觉 |
[33:46] | Mrs. Mulwray, | 莫瑞夫人 |
[33:49] | this alleged affair your husband was having. | 你丈夫那件所谓的风流韵事… |
[33:53] | The publicity didn’t make him | 公开以后 有没有让他感到… |
[33:57] | morose, or unhappy? | 郁闷或者不开心? |
[34:00] | It didn’t make him happy. | 没有让他不高兴 |
[34:02] | There is no possibility that he would have taken his own life? | 他有没有可能自杀呢? |
[34:05] | No. | 没有 |
[34:08] | Mrs. Mulwray, | 莫瑞太太 |
[34:11] | do you happen to know the name of the young lady in question? | 你知不知道那个女人的名字? |
[34:15] | No. | 不 |
[34:17] | – Or where she might be? – Certainly not. | – 或者 她可能在什么地方? – 根本不知道 |
[34:19] | You and your husband never discussed her? | 你跟你丈夫没有讨论过她吗? |
[34:23] | He… | 他… |
[34:26] | We did. | 我们讨论过 |
[34:27] | He wouldn’t tell me her name. | 他不肯告诉我她的名字 |
[34:30] | We quarrelled over her, of course. It came as a complete surprise to me. | 我们当然因为这件事吵过架 这对我来说完全在意料之外 |
[34:35] | A complete surprise? | 很意外? |
[34:37] | I thought you hired a private investigator. | 我以为你请了私家侦探的 |
[34:40] | A private investigator? | 私家侦探? |
[34:43] | Mr. Gittes. | 吉特斯先生 |
[34:51] | Yes, but I did that because I thought I would put an end | 是的 但我那么做只是为了让那些没有根据的… |
[34:54] | to a ridiculous rumor that had no basis. | 荒谬的谣传有个了结 |
[35:00] | When did Mr. Gittes inform you | 吉特斯先生是什么时候告诉你 |
[35:02] | that these rumors had some foundation in fact? | 那些谣传是有事实依据的? |
[35:05] | Just before the story broke in the papers, Lou. | 就在这件事暴露在公众之前 |
[35:09] | You wouldn’t happen to know where I could find her? | 你不会碰巧知道知道我们在哪儿能找到她… |
[35:11] | No. | 不会 |
[35:13] | – Or her name? – No. | – 或者她的名字? – 不知道 |
[35:16] | Of course not. | 当然不知道 |
[35:17] | Will you need me for anything else, Lieutenant? | 你还有什么事需要帮忙的吗? |
[35:20] | Oh, no, no, Mrs. Mulwray, I don’t think so. | 哦 不不 我想没有了 |
[35:22] | If we need any more information, we’ll be in touch. | 如果我们还需要什么信息的话 会跟你联系的 |
[35:26] | Of course you have my deepest sympathy. | 我真的很同情你 |
[35:30] | I’ll see her to the car, Lou. I’ll be right back. | 我把她送到车上 卢 马上就回来 |
[35:36] | – Jake, come on, what’s the story? – Take it easy, guys. Let us get through. | – 杰克 怎么回事? – 从容一点 伙计 请让一下 |
[35:39] | We better do this in a hurry. | 我们得快点… 请让一让! |
[35:41] | Let us through, guys! Give us a little room! | 请让一下 留店空子 |
[35:46] | You want a picture, guys? Here it is! | 你想要照片 伙计?拍我吧 |
[35:48] | “Gittes”, two T’s and an E. | 吉特斯 两个T 一个E |
[35:51] | Thank you for going along with me back there. | 谢谢你一直陪我过来 |
[35:55] | I just didn’t want to explain anything. | 我只是不想解释任何事情 |
[35:58] | I’ll send you a check. | 我会寄支票给你 |
[36:00] | A check? | 支票? |
[36:02] | To make it official that I’ve hired you. | 让我雇佣你显得正式一点 |
[36:21] | I’ll get to him this afternoon if I can. | 我下午就办…如果可以的话 |
[36:23] | Jake, what are you doing here? | 杰克 你在这儿干吗? |
[36:26] | Nothing, Morty. It’s my lunch hour. | 马蒂 现在是我的午饭时间 |
[36:27] | Thought I’d drop by and see who dropped dead lately. | 我想过来看看是谁死了 |
[36:30] | Yeah? Isn’t this something? | 哦?发生什么事了? |
[36:33] | Middle of a drought, and the Water Commissioner drowns. | 在闹干旱的时候 一个水利能源部的委员淹死了 |
[36:35] | – Only in L.A. – Yeah. | – 这种事只会发生在洛杉矶 – 是啊 |
[36:38] | – Looks pretty banged up. – Well, it’s a long fall. | – 看起来摔得不轻 – 可不是 那么高距离摔下来 |
[36:47] | So how are you doing, Morty? | 你最近怎样 马蒂? |
[36:49] | Never better, except for this darn cough. | 不能再好了 除了有点咳嗽 |
[36:53] | – You know me, Jake. – Yeah. | – 你了解我的 杰克 – 嗯 |
[37:03] | Who you got there? | 这个是谁? |
[37:05] | Leroy Shuhardt, local drunk. | 勒罗伊·舒哈特 一个本地的酒鬼 |
[37:09] | Used to hang around Ferguson’s Alley. | 以前常常在弗格森巷附近逛荡 |
[37:13] | Quite a character. | 很是个人物 |
[37:15] | Lately he’d been living in one of the downtown storm drains. | 最近他住在市区的排水沟里面 |
[37:20] | Had a bureau dresser down there and everything. | 那些衣柜啊什么的都被冲下来了 |
[37:24] | All right, there. | 好的 那么… |
[37:32] | Yeah. He drowned, too. | 他也是淹死的 |
[37:35] | Come again? | 你说什么? |
[37:37] | Yeah. Got drunk, passed out in the bottom of the riverbed. | 喝醉了 死在河床上 |
[37:40] | The L.A. River? | 洛杉矶河? |
[37:42] | Yeah, right under Hollenbeck Bridge. What’s wrong with that? | 对啊 就在霍伦贝克桥 有什么不对吗? |
[37:46] | Well, it’s dry as a bone, Morty. | 它已经干涸了啊 马蒂 |
[37:48] | It’s not completely dry. | 还有一点水 |
[37:51] | Well, he ain’t gonna exactly drown in a damp riverbed, | 不管他醉成什么样 也不会在一个… |
[37:53] | no matter how soused he is. | 潮湿的河床里淹死啊 |
[37:56] | We got water out of him. He drowned! | 我们从他肚子里空出水了 他是淹死的 |
[38:56] | Hello. | 你好 |
[39:05] | Howdy. | 你好 |
[39:07] | You were riding out here the other day, weren’t you? | 你有一天也到这儿了 是不是? |
[39:12] | Do you speak English? | 你说英语吗? |
[39:18] | You were talking to a man a few days ago. He wore glasses… | 你前几天跟一个男人说过话 他戴眼镜… |
[39:22] | Yes. | 嗯 |
[39:25] | What did you talk about, do you mind my asking? | 你介不介意我问一下你们在说什么? |
[39:27] | – The water. – What about the water? | – 水 – 水的什么? |
[39:30] | – When it comes. – When it comes? | – 水从哪来的 – 水从哪来? |
[39:34] | What did you tell him? | 你怎么跟他说的? |
[39:35] | It comes in different parts of the river. | 它们从不同的地方流到河里 |
[39:38] | Every night a different part. | 每天晚上都是不同的地方 |
[42:01] | Son of a bitch! Goddamn Florsheim shoe. | 婊子养的 这该死的鞋子 |
[42:13] | Hold it there, kitty-cat! Hold it! | 嘿 站那儿别动 |
[42:23] | Hello, Claude. Where’d you get the midget? | 嗨 克劳德 你从哪儿搞来的这个小东西? |
[42:31] | You’re a very nosy fellow, kitty-cat, huh? | 你是个爱管闲事的家伙 |
[42:34] | You know what happens to nosy fellows? | 知道爱管闲事的家伙下场是什么吗? |
[42:36] | No? Want to guess? No? | 不知道?想猜猜吗?不知道? |
[42:40] | Okay. They lose their noses. | 好吧 他们的鼻子都被割了 |
[42:47] | Next time you lose the whole thing. | 下一次的话 你什么东西都没了 |
[42:49] | Cut it off and feed it to my goldfish. | 我要把它割下来喂我的金鱼 |
[42:54] | Understand? | 明白了吗? |
[42:56] | – Understand? – Don’t you understand, Gittes? | – 明白了吗? – 你不明白吗?吉特斯 |
[42:57] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[42:59] | All right. | 好吧 |
[43:11] | So some contractor wants to build a dam, | 那承包人要修一个大坝 |
[43:14] | and he makes a few payoffs. So what? | 想赚点钱 然后呢? |
[43:16] | Think you can nail Mulvihill? They’ll claim you were trespassing. | 你不能揭穿莫威黑尔 他们会控告你非法侵入的 |
[43:20] | Don’t want Mulvihill. | 我不想要莫威黑尔 |
[43:22] | I want the big boys that are making the payoffs. | 我想要的是那个赚钱的家伙 |
[43:25] | Then what do you do? | 然后你干吗? |
[43:26] | Sue the shit out of them. | 告得他们倾家荡产 |
[43:28] | – Yeah? – Yeah. | – 哦? – 对 |
[43:32] | – What is it, Sophie? – A Miss Sessions is calling. | – 什么事 苏菲? – 瑟莘小姐打来电话 |
[43:35] | – Who? – Ida Sessions. | – 谁? – 艾达·瑟辛 |
[43:39] | Don’t know her. Take a number. | 不认识她 记下她的电话 |
[43:42] | Sue people like that, | 像那样的人 |
[43:43] | they’re liable to be having dinner with the judge who’s trying the suit. | 总是要跟负责案子的法官吃个饭 |
[43:48] | I’m sorry. Miss Sessions insists. | 很抱歉 她坚持要你听电话 |
[43:51] | She says you know her. | 她说你认识她 |
[43:54] | Okay. | 好 |
[44:00] | Hello, Miss Sessions. I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure. | 你好 瑟莘女士 我觉得我们不认识 |
[44:03] | Oh, yes, we have. | 哦 我们认识的 |
[44:05] | – Are you alone? – Isn’t everyone? | – 你一个人吗? – 大家不都是吗? |
[44:08] | What can I do for you? | 有什么要我为你效劳的? |
[44:12] | Well, I’m a working girl. | 这样 我只是个妓女 |
[44:14] | I didn’t come in to see you on my own. | 上一次我不是以自己的身份来见的你 |
[44:16] | When did you come in? | 你什么时候来的? |
[44:18] | I was the one who pretended to be Mrs. Mulwray. Remember? | 我假装成莫瑞夫人 |
[44:22] | – Shut the fuck up. – Beg your pardon? | – 他妈的闭嘴 – 什么? |
[44:25] | – Yes, I remember. – Beg your pardon? Is something wrong? | – 对 我记得 – 有什么事吗? |
[44:28] | No. I was just checking a detail or two with my two associates. | 不 我刚才在跟同事核对些事 |
[44:32] | Go on. | 请继续 |
[44:34] | I never expected anything to happen like what happened to Mr. Mulwray. | 我没想到会发生莫瑞先生那样的事 |
[44:37] | The point is, if it ever comes out, | 如果这件事最后暴露了 |
[44:40] | I want somebody to know that I didn’t know what would happen. | 我只是想有人知道 我并不知道会发生这些事情 |
[44:43] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[44:45] | Who was your employer? That could be helpful to both of us. | 是谁雇佣的你? 告诉我对你我都有好处 |
[44:48] | Oh, no! Oh, no. | 哦 不 不 |
[44:50] | No. | 不 |
[44:53] | What’s your address? Maybe we could talk this over. | 那你的地址呢? 也许我们可以好好谈谈 |
[44:55] | No, Mr. Gittes. | 不 吉特斯先生 |
[44:57] | Just look in the obituary column of today’s L.A. Post-Record. | 看看今天洛杉矶邮政记录中的讣告栏 |
[45:00] | The obituary column? | 讣告栏? |
[45:01] | – You’ll find one of those people. – “Those people”? Miss… | – 你会从他们中找到那些人 – “那些人”… |
[45:07] | Sure. | 当然… |
[45:09] | How do you like them apples? | 你觉得这些家伙怎样? |
[45:42] | Ma’am. | 女士 |
[45:49] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢你过来 |
[45:58] | – Yes, sir? – Drink? | – 是的 先生 – 喝点什么? |
[46:01] | Tom Collins. With lime, not lemon, please. | 汤姆 克林斯 加酸橙 不要柠檬 |
[46:03] | Tom Collins with lime. | 汤姆·柯林斯的青柠檬汁 |
[46:09] | I got your check in the mail. | 我收到了你随信寄过来的支票 |
[46:11] | Yes. As I said, I was very grateful. | 像我说的 我真的很感激 |
[46:15] | Mrs. Mulwray, I’m afraid that’s not good enough. | 莫瑞太太 恐怕这样还不够好 |
[46:23] | How much would you like? | 你想要多少钱? |
[46:24] | Oh, stop it, the money’s fine. It’s generous. | 哦 别说这个 钱已经够了 你很慷慨 |
[46:28] | But I think you short-changed me on the story. | 但是我觉得在这个故事你没有全告诉我 |
[46:33] | – I have? – I think so. | – 我有吗?- 我认为是这样 |
[46:36] | Something else besides the death of your husband was bothering you. | 除了你丈夫的死以外 还有别的事情在烦着你 |
[46:39] | You were upset, but not that upset. | 你很烦 但不是为那事烦 |
[46:42] | Mr. Gittes, don’t tell me how I feel. | 吉特斯先生 不用告诉我我自己的感觉是什么 |
[46:48] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[46:51] | Look, you sue me, your husband dies, you drop the lawsuit like a hot potato, | 你起诉我 你丈夫死了 你又像丢掉烫手山芋一样撤销了控诉 |
[46:56] | all of it quicker than the wind from a duck’s ass. | 这一切比鸭子放屁来的还快 |
[46:59] | Excuse me. | 原谅我的用词… |
[47:02] | – Then you ask me to lie to the police… – It wasn’t much of a lie. | – 然后你让我向警察撒谎 – 并不完全是谎话 |
[47:06] | If your husband was killed, it was. | 如果你的丈夫是被谋杀的 |
[47:09] | This could look like you paid me off to withhold evidence. | 那就是 这可以看作是隐藏证据的报酬 |
[47:13] | But he wasn’t killed. | 但是他并不是被谋杀的 |
[47:17] | Mrs. Mulwray, I think you’re hiding something. | 莫瑞夫人 我觉得你在隐藏些什么 |
[47:25] | Well, | 这个嘛… |
[47:28] | I suppose I am. | 我想是的 |
[47:31] | Actually, I knew about the affair. | 事实上 我知道他跟那个女人的事 |
[47:35] | – How did you find out? – My husband. | – 你怎么发现的? – 是我丈夫 |
[47:38] | He told you? | 他告诉你的? |
[47:40] | And you weren’t the least bit upset? | 难道你都没有一丁点的不高兴吗? |
[47:43] | I was grateful. | 我很感激 |
[47:46] | Mrs. Mulwray, you’ll have to explain that. | 莫瑞太太 你得解释一下 |
[47:48] | Why? | 为什么? |
[47:50] | Look, I do matrimonial work. It’s my mixer. | 瞧 我做婚姻工作 这是我的… |
[47:53] | When a wife tells me that she’s happy that her husband is cheating on her, | 一个妻子跟我说 她因为自己的丈夫背叛了她而感到高兴… |
[47:56] | it runs contrary to my experience. | …这跟我的经验完全相反 除非… |
[47:59] | Unless what? | 除非什么? |
[48:03] | She was cheating on him. | 她也背叛了他 |
[48:08] | Were you? | 是吗? |
[48:14] | I dislike the word “cheat”. | 我不喜欢“背叛”这个词 |
[48:18] | Did you have affairs? | 你有私情吗? |
[48:19] | – Mr. Gittes… – Did he know about it? | – 吉特斯先生 – 他知道吗? |
[48:24] | Well, I wouldn’t run home and tell him every time I went to bed with someone, | 我不会跑到家告诉他到底 什么时候我在跟别人上床 |
[48:27] | if that’s what you mean. | 如果你是这个意思的话 |
[48:29] | Is there anything else you want to know about me? | 你还想知道别的什么事情吗? |
[48:32] | Where were you when your husband died? | 你丈夫死的时候你在哪儿? |
[48:35] | I can’t tell you. | 我不能告诉你 |
[48:37] | You mean you don’t know where you were? | 你意思是你不知道你在哪儿? |
[48:38] | – I mean I can’t tell you. – You were seeing someone, too. | – 我不能告诉你 – 你也在跟别人幽会 |
[48:43] | For very long? | 很久吗? |
[48:45] | I don’t see anyone for very long, Mr. Gittes. | 我不会跟任何人一起很久 |
[48:49] | It’s difficult for me. | 这对我来说很困难 |
[48:54] | Now, I think you know all you need know about me. | 现在 我想你应该知道了所有 你想知道的关于我的事 |
[48:59] | I didn’t want publicity. | 我当时并不想公开 |
[49:00] | I didn’t want to go into any of this, then or now. | 也不想搅进 这些事情中来 现在也是 |
[49:05] | Is that all? | 够了吗? |
[49:10] | By the way, what does this “C” stand for? | 哦 等等… 这个“C”是什么意思? |
[49:16] | “Cross.” | 克罗斯 |
[49:20] | – It’s your maiden name? – Yes. | – 你的娘家姓? – 是的 |
[49:22] | Why? | 怎么了? |
[49:24] | No reason. | 没什么 |
[49:26] | You must’ve had a reason to ask me that. | 总有一个要问的原因吧 |
[49:28] | No. I’m just a snoop. | 没有 只是随便问问 |
[49:36] | No. I have my own car. The Packard. | 不 我自己有车 帕卡德 |
[49:39] | Wait a minute, sonny. | 等一下 宝贝 |
[49:41] | I think you better come with me. | 我觉得你最好跟我走 |
[49:44] | But why? There’s nothing more to say. | 为什么?没什么好说的了 |
[49:46] | Will you get my car, please? | 麻烦你把我的车取过来 |
[49:51] | Okay, go home. | 好吧 回家吧 |
[49:52] | But in case you’re interested, your husband was murdered. | 也许你有兴趣的 你丈夫是被谋杀的 |
[49:56] | Somebody’s been dumping thousands of tonnes of water | 有人每天从城市的水库 |
[49:59] | from the city’s reservoirs, | 排放掉上千吨的水… |
[50:00] | and we’re supposed to be in the middle of a drought. | 而期望我们闹旱灾 |
[50:02] | He found out about it, and he was killed. | 他发现了这件事 所以他被杀了 |
[50:05] | There’s a waterlogged drunk in the morgue. | 有一个被淹死的 醉汉 |
[50:07] | Involuntary manslaughter, if anybody wants to take the trouble, | 如果有人刚巧在 那个时间出现的话 |
[50:10] | which they don’t. | 就会意外的丧命 |
[50:11] | It seems like half the city is trying to cover it all up, | 看起来有一半的人都试图掩饰这件事 |
[50:13] | which is fine by me. | 对我来说没什么 |
[50:16] | But, Mrs. Mulwray, | 但是 莫瑞太太 |
[50:18] | I goddamn near lost my nose, | 我却差点因此丢了鼻子 |
[50:20] | and I like it. | 可我喜欢我的鼻子 |
[50:22] | I like breathing through it. | 而且我喜欢用它呼吸 |
[50:24] | And I still think that you’re hiding something. | 而且我仍然认为你在隐瞒些什么 |
[50:36] | Mr. Gittes… | 吉特斯先生… |
[50:47] | J.J. Gittes to see Mr. Yelburton. | 我是杰克·吉特斯 来找伊尔伯特先生 |
[51:20] | Mr. Yelburton will be busy for some time. | 伊尔伯特先生在忙 |
[51:24] | Well, it’s my lunch hour. I can wait. | 嗯 反正是我的午饭时间 我可以等 |
[51:27] | He’s liable to be tied up indefinitely. | 他那个时候可能也忙不完 |
[51:31] | I take a long lunch hour. | 我的午饭时间很长 |
[51:35] | All day, sometimes. | 有的时候 甚至一天 |
[52:37] | Noah Cross worked for the Water Department. | 诺亚 克罗斯曾经在这儿工作? |
[52:40] | Yes. | 是的… |
[52:41] | – No. – Well, did he or didn’t he? | – 不 – 干过还是没有? |
[52:43] | He owned it. | 他曾经拥有它 |
[52:47] | He owned the Water Department? | 他拥有整个水利部门? |
[52:49] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[52:52] | You mean, he owned the entire water supply for the city? | 你的意思是 他曾经控制整个城市的水的供给? |
[52:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[53:02] | How did they get it away from him? | 那他们怎么把这个从他那里收回来的? |
[53:05] | Mr. Mulwray felt the public should own the water. | 莫瑞觉得应该由公众控制它 |
[53:08] | Mr. Mulwray? | 莫瑞先生? |
[53:10] | I thought you said Cross owned it. | 我以为你说的事克罗斯先生拥有它 |
[53:13] | Along with Mr. Mulwray. | 跟莫瑞先生一起 |
[53:16] | – They were partners? – Yes! Yes, they were partners. | – 他们是拍档? – 对 他们是拍档 |
[53:58] | Mr. Yelburton will see you now. | 伊尔伯特先生现在要见你 |
[54:06] | Mr. Gittes, sorry to keep you waiting. | 吉特斯先生 抱歉让你等了这么久 |
[54:08] | These staff meetings, they just go on and on. | 总有一些乱七八糟的事情 |
[54:12] | Yeah. Must be especially tough to take over under these circumstances. | 是啊 在这种情况下接任困难肯定特别多 |
[54:16] | Yes. Hollis was the best department chief the city’s ever had. | 对 霍利斯是本市各任部门 主席中最好的一个 |
[54:21] | My goodness, what happened to your nose? | 天啊 你的鼻子怎么了? |
[54:23] | Cut myself shaving. | 刮胡子的时候割到了 |
[54:26] | Well, you ought to be more careful. That must really smart. | 你得小心些 那一定很疼 |
[54:29] | Only when I breathe. | 只有呼吸的时候 |
[54:35] | Only when you breathe. | 只有你呼吸的时候… |
[54:38] | Don’t tell me you’re still working for Mrs. Mulwray. | 可别跟我说你还在为莫瑞太太办事 |
[54:41] | – I never was. – I don’t understand. | – 我从来就没有过 – 我不太明白 |
[54:44] | Neither do I, actually. | 事实上 我也不太明白 |
[54:46] | You hired me. | 你雇佣的我 |
[54:49] | Or you hired that chippy to hire me. | 或者是你雇佣的那个妓女来雇佣我 |
[54:52] | Mr. Gittes, you’re not making a bit of sense. | 吉特斯先生 你在说什么啊 |
[54:56] | Well, let’s look at it this way. | 好吧 我们换一个说法 |
[54:58] | Mulwray didn’t want to build a dam. | 莫瑞并不想修大坝 |
[55:01] | He had a reputation that was hard to get around. | 而他的声誉又难以动摇 |
[55:03] | You decided to ruin it. | 你打算毁了它 |
[55:05] | Then he found out you were dumping water at night. | 然后他发现你每天晚上都在放水 |
[55:09] | Then he was… | 然后 他就… |
[55:11] | Drowned. | 淹死了 |
[55:13] | Mr. Gittes, that’s an outrageous accusation. | 吉特斯先生 这可是一项很严重的罪名 |
[55:16] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[55:18] | Well, Whitey Mehrholtz over at the Times will. | 时代周刊的惠特尼·墨尔霍兹会知道的 |
[55:22] | Dumping thousands of gallons of water down the toilet | 在干旱期间每天排放成千加仑的水 |
[55:25] | in the middle of a drought, that’s news. | 会是一条新闻的 |
[55:30] | Mr. Gittes, | 吉特斯先生… |
[55:32] | we’re… | 我们… |
[55:35] | We’re not anxious for this to get around, but we have been diverting a little water | 并不担心这件事传出去 但是我们调用那些水 是为了… |
[55:38] | to irrigate orange groves in the Northwest Valley. | 灌溉西北流域的橘子园 |
[55:42] | As you know, the farmers out there have no legal right to our water, | 你知道 那边的农民没有我们这些水的合法使用权 |
[55:44] | but we’ve been trying to help some of them out, | 但我们希望能帮助他们 |
[55:46] | keep them from going under. | 解决困难 |
[55:48] | Naturally, when you divert water, there’s a little run-off. | 自然地引水的时候 总难免有一些会流走 |
[55:52] | Yeah. A little run-off. | 对 一些会流走… |
[55:55] | – Where’d you say those groves were? – In the Northwest Valley. | – 你刚才说的树林在什么地方? – 西北流域 |
[55:59] | That’s like saying they’re in Arizona. | 听起来好像他们在亚利桑那 |
[56:02] | Mr. Gittes, my field men are out. I can’t give you the exact location. | 我们负责地域的人不在 恐怕我没办法给你一个确切的位置 |
[56:07] | – You’re a married man, aren’t you? – Yes. | – 你已经结婚了 是吗? – 对 |
[56:10] | Hard-working? Wife? Kids? | 工作努力 有老婆 孩子…? |
[56:13] | Yes. | 对 |
[56:15] | I don’t want to nail you. | 我不想拆穿你 |
[56:22] | I want to find out who put you up to it. | 我只是想找出来是谁指使你的 |
[56:25] | I’ll give you a few days to think about it. | 我给你几天的时间考虑 |
[56:27] | Call me. I can help. | 打电话给我 我会有用的 |
[56:30] | Who knows? | 谁知道呢? |
[56:31] | Maybe we can put the whole thing off on a few big-shots, | 也许我们可以把整件事推托到几个大人物身上… |
[56:34] | and you can stay the head of the department | 然后你就可以安安心心地 |
[56:36] | for the next 20 years. | 当20年的部门主席 |
[57:20] | – Drink? – No, thank you. | – 喝点什么? – 不了 谢谢 |
[57:27] | What is your usual salary? | 你通常薪水多少? |
[57:30] | $35 a day, plus 20 to my associates, | 一天35美元 加上助手的20元 |
[57:35] | plus expenses, | 加上日用开支 |
[57:38] | plus a bonus if I show results. | 如果有结果的话 还有奖金 |
[57:43] | Whoever is behind my husband’s death, why have they gone to all this trouble? | 不管是谁杀了我的丈夫 他们为什么要惹这么多事? |
[57:47] | Money. | 为了钱 |
[57:49] | How they plan to make it out of emptying reservoirs, | 至于他们为什么要清空水库 |
[57:52] | that I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[57:54] | I’ll pay your salary, | 我会付给你薪水 |
[57:56] | plus $5,000 | 另外再加5000美元 |
[57:58] | if you find out what happened to Hollis, and who is involved. | 如果你能查出霍利斯究竟出了什么事 还有谁与此牵连 |
[58:06] | Sophie, draw up one of our standard contracts for Mrs. Mulwray. | 苏菲 起草一份跟莫瑞夫人之间的合同 |
[58:11] | Yes, Mr. Gittes. | 好的 吉特斯先生 |
[58:16] | Tell me something. | 跟我说说这些事… |
[58:18] | Did you get married before or after Mulwray and your father | 你是在莫瑞还有你父亲卖出水利部门以后 |
[58:21] | sold the Water Department? | 才和莫瑞先生结婚的吗? |
[58:24] | Noah Cross is your father, isn’t he? | 诺亚·克罗斯是你父亲 不是吗? |
[58:29] | Yes, of course. | 是 当然 |
[58:32] | It was sometime after. | 过了一段时间以后 |
[58:34] | I was just out of grade school when they did that. | 他们卖的时候我才刚刚毕业 |
[58:39] | Then you married your father’s business partner. | 然后你嫁给了你父亲的商业伙伴 |
[58:45] | You’ve already got one going, Mrs. Mulwray. | 但是你实际上已经有男朋友了 |
[58:50] | Does my talking about your father upset you? | 是不是我关于父亲的这些话触犯到你了? |
[58:54] | Why, no. | 没有… |
[58:57] | Yes. A little. | 是的 有点 |
[58:59] | You see, Hollis and my… | 你知道 霍利斯跟我的… |
[59:02] | My father | 我父亲 |
[59:04] | had a falling-out finally. | 最终闹翻了 |
[59:07] | Over you or over the Water Department? | 因为你还是水利部? |
[59:10] | Not over me. Why should it be over me? | 为什么是要因为我? |
[59:13] | Then it was over the Water Department. | 那就是因为水利部了 |
[59:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
[59:17] | Hollis felt that the water should belong to the public, | 霍利斯觉得水应该是属于大家的 |
[59:19] | and I don’t think my father felt that way. | 我我父亲不认为这样 |
[59:24] | Actually, it was over the Van der Lip Dam. | 事实上 是因为范德利普大坝 |
[59:26] | You know, the dam that broke? | 就是塌了的那个大坝 |
[59:28] | – Oh, yeah? – Yes. Hollis never forgave him for it. | – 哦? – 霍利斯因为它不肯原谅他 |
[59:31] | – Never forgave him for what? – For talking him into building it. | – 因为什么不原谅他? – 因为劝他修那个大坝 |
[59:36] | They never spoke from that time on. | 从那以后他们就再也不说话了 |
[59:42] | You sure about that? | 你确定? |
[59:45] | Of course I’m sure. | 当然确定 |
[59:52] | Sign here. | 在这儿签字 |
[59:55] | The copy’s for you. | 这份给你 |
[1:00:58] | – Mr. Gitts? – Gittes. | – 吉特斯先生? – 吉特斯 |
[1:01:02] | How do you do? | 你好吗? |
[1:01:04] | You’ve got a nasty reputation, Mr. Gitts. I like that. | 虽然你的名声并不太好 但我喜欢 |
[1:01:09] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[1:01:10] | If you were a bank president, that would be one thing, | 若你是银行总裁就糟了 |
[1:01:12] | but in your business, it’s admirable. | 但在你这一行 |
[1:01:14] | And it’s good advertising. | 名声越坏越好 |
[1:01:16] | It doesn’t hurt. | 这没关系 |
[1:01:17] | It’s why you attracted a client like my daughter. | 这样有助于吸引像我女儿那样的顾客 |
[1:01:21] | Probably. | 有可能 |
[1:01:23] | But I’m surprised you’re still working for her, | 我很奇怪于你仍然在为她工作 |
[1:01:25] | unless she’s suddenly come up with another husband. | 难道她突然又有了一个丈夫? |
[1:01:27] | No. She happens to think the last one was murdered. | 不 她只是觉得自己的前夫是被谋杀的 |
[1:01:33] | How’d she get that idea? | 她为什么会这么想? |
[1:01:36] | I think I gave it to her. | 我想是我跟她说的 |
[1:01:39] | I hope you don’t mind. I believe they should be served with the head. | 我希望你不要介意 我觉得鱼头应该一起上 |
[1:01:43] | Fine. Long as you don’t serve chicken that way. | 还好 只要鸡不是这么上就行了 |
[1:01:48] | Tell me, what do the police say? | 跟我说说 警察是怎么说的? |
[1:01:52] | They’re calling it an accident. | 他们说这是一个意外 |
[1:01:55] | – Who’s the investigating officer? – Lou Escobar. He’s a lieutenant. | – 调查官是谁? – 卢治·斯库巴 是个副队 |
[1:01:59] | – Do you know him? – Oh, yeah. | – 你认识他吗? – 嗯 认识 |
[1:02:02] | Where from? | 从那来的? |
[1:02:05] | We used to work together. In Chinatown. | 我们以前在唐人街一起工作 |
[1:02:09] | Would you call him a capable man? | 你觉得他能干吗? |
[1:02:13] | Very. | 很能干 |
[1:02:14] | Honest? | 诚实吗? |
[1:02:16] | As far as it goes. | 就目前来说是 |
[1:02:18] | Of course, he has to swim in the same water we all do. | 他跟我们在一条河里游泳 |
[1:02:21] | Of course, but you’ve no reason to think he’s bungled the case? | 那没理由他会把这件事办砸啊 |
[1:02:25] | – None. – That’s too bad. | – 没有 – 太糟了 |
[1:02:28] | Too bad? | 太糟了? |
[1:02:31] | It disturbs me. Makes me think you’re taking my daughter for a ride. | 弄得我以为你想欺骗我的女儿 … |
[1:02:34] | Financially speaking, of course. | 当然 是在经济上 |
[1:02:38] | What are you charging her? | 你向她收多少钱? |
[1:02:42] | My usual fee, plus a bonus if I get results. | 跟平时一样 如果有结果的话 还有奖金 |
[1:02:46] | Are you sleeping with her? | 你跟她睡过觉吗? |
[1:02:50] | Come, come, Mr. Gitts. | 别装了 吉特斯先生 |
[1:02:51] | You don’t have to think about that to remember, do you? | 你总不是还要想想才能记起来吧? |
[1:02:57] | If you want an answer to that question, Mr. Cross, | 如果你想要一个答案的话 |
[1:02:59] | I’ll put one of my men on the job. | 我会让我的手下去做 |
[1:03:03] | – Good afternoon. – Mr. Gitts… | – 祝您下午愉快 – 吉特斯先生… |
[1:03:05] | – Gittes. – Gittes. | – 吉特斯 – 吉特斯 |
[1:03:08] | You’re dealing with a disturbed woman who just lost her husband. | 她刚刚失去了丈夫 |
[1:03:11] | I don’t want her taken advantage of. | 我不想她被利用 |
[1:03:14] | – Sit down. – What for? | – 请坐 – 为什么? |
[1:03:18] | You may think you know what you’re dealing with, | 你可能觉得自己子到究竟在跟谁打交道 |
[1:03:22] | but believe me, you don’t. | 但相信我 你并不知道 |
[1:03:25] | Why is that funny? | 怎么会那么搞笑? |
[1:03:27] | It’s what the District Attorney used to tell me in Chinatown. | 在唐人街的时候 检察官也常常那么说 |
[1:03:30] | Yeah? Was he right? | 他说的对吗? |
[1:03:33] | Exactly what do you know about me? Sit down. | 实际上你又了解我什么呢? 坐下来 |
[1:03:42] | Mainly that you’re rich, | 总的来说 你很有钱 |
[1:03:44] | and too respectable to want your name in the newspapers. | 而且太有名望了而不 希望自己的名字出现在报纸上 |
[1:03:47] | Of course I’m respectable. I’m old. | 当然我很有名望 我老了 |
[1:03:52] | Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores | 那些政治家 那些丑陋的建筑 娼妓 |
[1:03:53] | all get respectable if they last long enough. | 如果他们能做的久 也会很有名 |
[1:03:57] | I’ll double whatever your fee is and pay you $10,000 | 我给你双倍的佣金 还有1万美元的奖励 |
[1:04:01] | if you find Hollis’ girlfriend. | 如果你能找到霍利斯的女朋友的话 |
[1:04:03] | – Girlfriend? – Disappeared, hasn’t she? | – 女朋友? – 她消失了 不是吗? |
[1:04:06] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[1:04:08] | Wouldn’t it be useful to talk to her? | 跟她聊聊不是会很有用吗? |
[1:04:11] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[1:04:14] | If Mulwray was murdered, | 如果他是被谋杀的 |
[1:04:15] | she’d be one of the last to have seen him alive. | 她也许是他生前 见到的最后一个人 |
[1:04:18] | When’s the last time you saw Mulwray? | 你最后一次见到他是什么时候? |
[1:04:23] | Sheriff’s gold posse. Bunch of damn fools | 是治安官的那一队人 一群白痴 |
[1:04:25] | who pay $5,000 apiece towards the Sheriff’s re-election. | 他们为了州长的再次当选每个人交了5000美元 |
[1:04:30] | I let them practice up out here. | 我让他们来这儿联系 |
[1:04:33] | Yeah. | 好 |
[1:04:36] | Do you remember the last time you saw Mulwray? | 你还记得上一次是什么时候见到的他吗? |
[1:04:39] | At my age, you tend to forget. | 到我这个年纪 有些事就记不住了 |
[1:04:43] | It was five days ago outside The Pig’n Whistle, | 是在5年前 在酒馆外 |
[1:04:46] | and you had one hell of an argument. | 你们大吵了一架 |
[1:04:49] | I got the pictures in my office, if that’ll help you remember. | 我办公室里有照片 也许它们能帮你想起来 |
[1:04:56] | – What was the argument about? – My daughter. | – 你们在争论什么? – 我女儿 |
[1:05:01] | What about her? | 她的什么? |
[1:05:03] | Just find the girl, Mr. Gitts. | 吉特斯 你只要找那个女孩就行了 |
[1:05:10] | I happen to know Hollis was fond of her. | 我知道霍利斯喜欢她 |
[1:05:15] | I’d like to help her if I can. | 如果可以的话 我希望能帮助她 |
[1:05:17] | I had no idea you and Hollis were that fond of one another. | 我以前不知道你跟霍利斯喜欢彼此 |
[1:05:22] | Hollis Mulwray made this city, | 霍利斯 莫瑞建造了这个城市 |
[1:05:25] | and he made me a fortune. | 也给我带了一笔财富 |
[1:05:28] | We were a lot closer than Evelyn realized. | 我们比伊夫林想象的要亲密的多 |
[1:05:34] | If you want to hire me, I still have to know what the argument was about. | 如果你想要雇用我 我还是 要知道你们在争论什么 |
[1:05:40] | My daughter’s a very jealous woman. | 我女儿嫉妒心很重 |
[1:05:43] | I didn’t want her to find out about the girl. | 我不想让她发现这个女孩的事 |
[1:05:46] | How did you find out? | 你是怎么知道的? |
[1:05:48] | I still got a few teeth left in my head, and a few friends in town. | 我在镇子里有一些朋友 |
[1:05:55] | Okay. | 好吧… |
[1:05:58] | I’II… | 我会… |
[1:06:01] | I’ll have my secretary draw up the papers. | 我会让我的秘书起草协议 |
[1:06:04] | Tell me, | 告诉我 |
[1:06:07] | are you frightened for the girl or what Evelyn might do to her? | 你是不是替那个女孩儿担心 或者你觉得伊夫林会做些什么? |
[1:06:11] | Just find the girl. | 去找到那个女孩儿 |
[1:06:14] | I’ll look into it, | 我就会调查的 |
[1:06:16] | as soon as I’ve checked out some orange groves. | 在此之前要查清楚橘子园的事情 |
[1:06:20] | Orange groves? | 橘子园? |
[1:06:23] | We’ll be in touch, Mr. Cross. | 再联系 克罗斯先生 |
[1:06:30] | I’m a little lost. I wonder if you could you tell me | 我有点迷糊 可不可以告诉我 |
[1:06:32] | where the plat books for the Northwest Valley are? | 西北流域的地图册放在什么地方? |
[1:06:35] | Part of it’s in Ventura County. | 它有一部分在文特尔县 |
[1:06:37] | We don’t have Ventura County in our Hall of Records. | 我们档案馆里面没有这些资料 |
[1:06:41] | Well, then, I’ll settle for Los Angeles County. | 我只要洛杉矶郡的那部分资料 |
[1:06:45] | Row 23, section C. | C区 23排 |
[1:06:51] | Weasel. | 马屁精 |
[1:07:48] | Say, sonny, | 嘿 伙计 |
[1:07:52] | why do they have all those names pasted in the plat books? | 怎么书里面的名字都被粘起来了? |
[1:07:55] | Land sales out of escrow are always recorded within the week. | 那里面记录了头几个星期卖地以后的契约 |
[1:07:59] | – Then these are all new owners? – That’s right. | – 那这些都是新的拥有者? – 对啊 |
[1:08:03] | Well, that means that most of the Valley sold in the last few months. | 也就是说这个流域的大部分土地在头几个月都卖了? |
[1:08:07] | If that’s what it says. | 就是这个意思 |
[1:08:11] | Can I check one of these volumes out? | 我能借一本书出去马? |
[1:08:14] | Sir, this is not a lending library. It’s the Hall of Records. | 先生 这个地方不是图书馆 而是档案馆 |
[1:08:18] | – How about a ruler? – A ruler? | – 那尺子呢? – 尺子? |
[1:08:22] | Yeah. The print’s real fine. I left my glasses home. | 这个字体很纤细 而我又把眼镜落在家里 |
[1:08:26] | I’d like to be able to read across. | 尺子可以辅助阅读 |
[1:08:40] | Why, thank you. | 非常感谢. |
[1:09:49] | Hold it right there! | 站那儿别动! |
[1:10:59] | All right, quit it. Quit, now! | 好了 别打了 住手 |
[1:11:02] | Search the man. See if he’s armed. | 搜他的身 看他有没有带武器 |
[1:11:17] | I said see if he’s armed, not empty his pockets! | 我不是让你掏他的口袋 |
[1:11:21] | Search him. Search him! | 搜他的身 搜身 |
[1:11:24] | He ain’t armed. | 他没有武器 |
[1:11:26] | All right, mister, who you with, | 好吧 你跟谁一起的? |
[1:11:27] | the Water Department or the Real Estate Office? | 水利部还是房地产公司? |
[1:11:31] | – Get away from me! – Answer him! | – 离我远点 – 回答我 |
[1:11:33] | You come near me with that thing again, | 你要是再拿着它靠近我 |
[1:11:35] | you’re gonna need a pair of them! | 你以后就要用双拐了! |
[1:11:36] | Why don’t you pick on somebody your own size? | 先打量下自己再说吧 |
[1:11:38] | I said cut that out! Give the man a chance to say something! | 我说了停下来 给他机会让他说 |
[1:11:45] | The name’s Gittes. I’m a private investigator. | 我是吉特斯 私家侦探 |
[1:11:49] | I’m not with either one of them. | 不跟它们两个任何一个一伙 |
[1:11:52] | Then what you doing out here, mister? | 你来这儿干吗? |
[1:11:55] | A client hired me to see… | 一个委托人让我来 |
[1:11:58] | To see if the Water Department was irrigating your land. | 调查看看水利部有没有灌溉你们的土地 |
[1:12:01] | Irrigating my land? | 灌溉土地? |
[1:12:02] | The Water Department’s been sending you people out here | 水利部的人派人来 |
[1:12:04] | to blow up my water tanks, they put poison down three of my wells. | 炸我们的蓄水池 在我的井里面下毒药 |
[1:12:07] | I call that a funny way to irrigate. | 这种灌溉方式未免太搞笑了吧? |
[1:12:09] | Who’d hire you for a thing like that? | 谁雇用你做这件事? |
[1:12:17] | Mrs. Evelyn Mulwray. | 伊夫林·莫瑞夫人 |
[1:12:18] | Mulwray? That’s the son of a bitch who’s done it to us. | 她就是那个这么对付我们的人 |
[1:12:22] | Mulwray’s dead. You don’t know what you’re talking about, you dumb Okie. | 莫瑞死了 你根本就不知道自己 在说什么 你这个笨蛋 |
[1:12:34] | Well, that’s that. | 好了 行了 |
[1:13:03] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? |
[1:13:05] | You didn’t look too good, | 你看起来不太好 我们觉得叫你的雇主来比较合适 |
[1:13:07] | so we thought we better call your employer. | 我们觉得叫你的雇主来比较合适 |
[1:13:14] | Thanks for coming. | 谢谢你过来 |
[1:13:20] | – That dam’s a con job. – What dam? | – 那个大坝果然不应该建 – 哪个大坝? |
[1:13:23] | The one your husband opposed. They’re conning L.A. into building it. | 你丈夫反对的那个 他们对洛杉矶不利 |
[1:13:27] | But the water’s not gonna go to L. A., it’s coming right here. | 但那些水没有到洛杉矶 全来了这里 |
[1:13:30] | To the Valley? | 来这个流域? |
[1:13:31] | Everything you can see. Everything around us. | 你能看到这一切 我们四周的一切 |
[1:13:34] | I was at the Hall of Records today. | 我今天去了档案馆 |
[1:13:42] | In the last three months, Robert Knox has bought 7,000 acres, | 在过去的三个月 罗伯特·诺克斯买 了七千英亩 |
[1:13:46] | Emma Dill, 12,000, Clarence Speer, 5,000, | 艾玛·迪尔一万二英亩 克拉伦斯·斯波五千英亩 |
[1:13:50] | and Jasper Lamar Crabb, 25,000 acres. | 还有杰斯皮尔·拉马尔·克拉波 两万五英亩 |
[1:13:53] | – Jasper Lamar Crabb? – You know him? | – 杰斯皮尔·拉马尔·克拉波? – 你认识他? |
[1:13:55] | – I think I would’ve remembered. – Yeah. | – 我对这个名字有印象 – 好 |
[1:13:59] | They’re blowing these farmers out of their land | 他们把这些农民赶出去 |
[1:14:01] | and then picking it up for peanuts. | 然后买下这些地方种花生 |
[1:14:03] | You have any idea what this land would be worth with a steady water supply? | 你知道要是有稳定水源 这块土地值多少钱吗? |
[1:14:07] | About $30 million more than they paid for it. | 比他们给的钱要多大约三千万 |
[1:14:12] | – Hollis knew about this? – That’s why he was killed. | – 霍利斯知道这件事? – 所以他被杀了 |
[1:14:18] | Jasper Lamar Crabb. | 杰斯皮尔·拉马尔·克拉波 |
[1:14:20] | Jasper Lamar Crabb. | 杰斯皮尔·拉马尔·克拉波 |
[1:14:25] | – We got it! – What? | – 我知道了 – 是什么? |
[1:14:27] | – We got it. – What? What is it? | – 这就对了 – 什么?是什么? |
[1:14:28] | “A memorial service was held at the Mar Vista Inn today | “在玛维斯塔旅馆为杰斯皮尔·拉马尔·克拉波 |
[1:14:31] | “for Jasper Lamar Crabb.” | 举行追悼仪式” |
[1:14:33] | He passed away two weeks ago. | 他两周前死了 |
[1:14:36] | Why is that unusual? | 很不寻常吗? |
[1:14:38] | He passed away two weeks ago, and one week ago he bought the land. | 他两周前死了 却在一周前买了土地 |
[1:14:42] | That’s unusual. | 这就很不寻常 |
[1:15:27] | Hello, there. I’m Mr. Palmer. Can I help you folks? | 你好 我是帕莫先生 有什么我能帮忙的吗? |
[1:15:31] | Yes, I hope so. | 是的 我希望是这样 |
[1:15:34] | It’s Dad. | 是我爸爸 |
[1:15:36] | I can’t seem to handle him anymore. | 我再也不能照顾他了… |
[1:15:38] | – Can I, sweetheart? – My goodness. | – 我可以吗?宝贝 – 我的天啊 |
[1:15:40] | Nothing with Dad. It’s me. | 他没事 是我 |
[1:15:43] | Oh, no, no, Dad is an absolute angel with everyone else. | 哦 不不 爸爸是其他所有人的守护神 |
[1:15:46] | – It’s just that he and my… – Oh, I don’t know. | – 但是他跟我… – 我不知道 |
[1:15:49] | Of course, I’m anxious for him to have the best, | 当然 我希望他得到最好的 |
[1:15:52] | and money is no object. | 钱不是问题 |
[1:15:54] | Perhaps if we met with your father. | 也许我们应该见见你的父亲 |
[1:15:57] | – There is one question. – Of course. | – 只有一个问题… – 当然 |
[1:16:00] | Do you accept people of the Jewish persuasion? | 你们接受犹太教的人吗? |
[1:16:04] | I’m sorry, but we don’t. | 我很抱歉 但是我们不接受 |
[1:16:06] | Don’t be sorry. Neither does Dad. | 我爸爸也是 我们需要确定一下 |
[1:16:07] | We just wanted to be sure, didn’t we, hon? | 我们也只是再确定一下 是吧? |
[1:16:10] | Would it be possible for me to see a list of your patients, just to be certain? | 别人能看到你们病人的名单吗? |
[1:16:15] | We never reveal the names of our guests as a matter of policy. | 我们从不泄露来宾的名单 这是规矩 |
[1:16:19] | You would appreciate that if your father came to live with us. | 你会同意让你父亲住在这里的 |
[1:16:21] | That’s exactly what I wanted to hear you say. | 这正是我想听到的 |
[1:16:25] | Good. | 很好 |
[1:16:26] | I wonder, is it too late for us to have a look around? | 我们现在四处看看会不会太晚? |
[1:16:28] | No. Allow me to show you. | 不晚 我来领你们参观 |
[1:16:30] | Would you mind if we took a stroll on our own? | 我们自己随便走走可以吗? |
[1:16:32] | Just if you’ll confine yourself to the main building. | 可以 不过只能在主建筑区 |
[1:16:35] | It’s almost bedtime. | 快要到睡觉时间了 |
[1:16:37] | We understand. Come, my sweet. | 我们理解 来吧 宝贝 |
[1:16:52] | Charlie! You ought to know better than that! | 查理 你应该知道的更多的 |
[1:16:55] | Sit down. Have a chair. | 坐吧 坐在那 |
[1:17:17] | They’re all there. Every goddamn name. | 都在那儿 每一个该遭诅咒的名字 |
[1:17:26] | You’re looking at the owners of a 50,000-acre empire. | 你看到的是5万英亩土地的拥有者 |
[1:17:30] | They can’t be. | 不可能 |
[1:17:36] | They may not know it, but they are. | 他们也许不知道 可他们的确是 |
[1:17:40] | – Hello, girls. – Hello. | – 你好 女士们 – 你好 |
[1:17:42] | – Hello. – Are any of you Emma Dill? | – 你好 – 你们哪一位是艾玛·迪尔? |
[1:17:46] | – Yes? Are you Emma? – Yes. | – 你是艾玛? – 是的 |
[1:17:49] | Well, I’ve been wanting to meet you for a long time. | 我很早就已经想见你了 |
[1:17:51] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:17:52] | Did you know you were a very wealthy woman? | 难道你不知道自己很有钱吗? |
[1:17:55] | Oh, I’m not. | 我可没有 |
[1:17:57] | – Yes, you are. You own a lot of land. – No more. | – 不 你有一大块土地 – 已经没有了 |
[1:18:02] | Some time ago, | 不久前 |
[1:18:03] | my late husband owned a good deal of beach property at Long Beach, | 我最后一个丈夫拥有一块海滩… |
[1:18:07] | but we lost it. | 但是我们没留住 |
[1:18:09] | – That’s very beautiful. – Thanks. | – 这个很漂亮 – 谢谢 |
[1:18:12] | Where did you get this piece of material? | 你们从哪里弄到这块布料? |
[1:18:14] | At the Abbacore Club. | 在海鱼俱乐部 |
[1:18:17] | – Abbacore? – No. The Albacore. | – 河鱼? – 不 是海鱼 |
[1:18:20] | It’s a fish. | 这是一种鱼 |
[1:18:22] | My grandson is a member, and they take very nice care of us. | 我的孙子是会员 他们对我们很好 |
[1:18:27] | How do they do that? | 他们都怎么做呢? |
[1:18:29] | Oh, give us things, not just like this old flag, but… | 给我们东西 不仅仅是旗 还有… |
[1:18:34] | But what? | 还有什么? |
[1:18:35] | We’re a sort of unofficial charity of theirs, Mr. Gittes. | 我们是一个非官方的慈善组织 吉特斯先生 |
[1:18:39] | Would you come with me, please? Someone wants to talk with you. | 请跟我来好吗? 有人想跟你谈谈 |
[1:18:46] | Goodbye, ladies. | 女士们 再见 |
[1:18:47] | – Bye! – Bye! | – 再见 – 再见 |
[1:18:57] | Come on. I want you to meet someone, Gittes. | 我想让你见一个人 吉特斯 |
[1:19:00] | Can we leave the lady out of this? | 能不能让这位女士置身事外 |
[1:19:02] | – Yeah. Why not? – I’d like to see her to the car. | – 是的 当然 – 我把她送到车上 |
[1:19:05] | – She knows where it’s at. – I’ll stay. | – 她知道车在哪儿 – 我要留下来 |
[1:19:09] | Get in the car. | 去车里 |
[1:20:31] | Maid’s night off? | 女仆晚上都不上班? |
[1:20:34] | – Why? – What do you mean, why? | – 怎么了? – 什么意思?怎么了? |
[1:20:37] | – Nobody’s here, that’s why. – I gave everyone the night off. | – 因为没人在 这就是怎么了 – 每个人晚上都不用工作 |
[1:20:42] | Easy. It’s an innocent question. | 放轻松点 这只是个单纯的问题 |
[1:20:44] | No question from you is innocent, Mr. Gittes. | 你的问题没有一个是单纯的 |
[1:20:47] | I guess you’re right. | 也许你是对的 |
[1:20:52] | To you, Mrs. Mulwray. | 敬你 莫瑞夫人 |
[1:20:55] | Frankly, tonight, you saved my… | 坦白说 你今晚救了… |
[1:20:58] | You saved my neck. | 你救了我的命 |
[1:21:03] | Tell me, Mr. Gittes, | 告诉我 吉特斯先生 |
[1:21:06] | does this often happen to you? | 对于你 这种事是不是经常发生? |
[1:21:10] | What’s that? | 什么意思? |
[1:21:13] | Well, I’m judging only on the basis of one afternoon and an evening, | 我只是根据今天的这些事来推断 |
[1:21:15] | but if this is how you go about your work, | 但如果你就是这样工作的话… |
[1:21:18] | I’d say you’d be lucky to get through a whole day. | 我得说 你能活到今天真幸运 |
[1:21:23] | Actually, this hasn’t happened to me for a long time. | 有很久不是这样了 |
[1:21:26] | When was the last time? | 上一次是什么时候? |
[1:21:29] | Why? | 怎么了? |
[1:21:31] | It’s an innocent question. | 只是个单纯的问题 |
[1:21:37] | – In Chinatown. – What were you doing there? | – 在唐人街 – 你在那儿干什么? |
[1:21:43] | – Working for the District Attorney. – Doing what? | – 给检察官工作 – 做什么? |
[1:21:47] | As little as possible. | 尽可能的什么也不做 |
[1:21:48] | The District Attorney gives his men advice like that? | 检察官给你这样的建议吗? |
[1:21:53] | They do in Chinatown. | 在唐人街 的确是这样 |
[1:21:56] | Why did you leave the police force? | 你为什么要离开警察部门呢? |
[1:22:02] | Do you have any peroxide, or anything like that? | 你有没有一些双氧水 或者类似的东西? |
[1:22:08] | Surely. Will you come this way? | 当然 这边来 |
[1:22:28] | My God! | 天哪! |
[1:22:33] | It’s a nasty cut. | 这伤口真可怕 |
[1:22:36] | I had no idea… | 我都不知道 |
[1:22:43] | Sorry! | 对不起 |
[1:22:46] | There. | 来 |
[1:22:48] | Is it painful? | 痛不痛? |
[1:22:53] | It must be painful. | 肯定痛 |
[1:22:57] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[1:22:59] | Your eye. | 你的眼睛 |
[1:23:04] | What about it? What? | 怎么了?什么东西? |
[1:23:06] | There’s something black in the green part of your eye. | 你眼睛的蓝色部分中有黑色的东西 |
[1:23:10] | Oh, that. | 哦 那个 |
[1:23:12] | It’s a flaw in the iris. | 是虹膜上的一点瑕疵 |
[1:23:18] | – A flaw? – Yes. | – 瑕疵? – 对 |
[1:23:21] | A sort of birthmark. | 是胎记之类的东西 |
[1:23:59] | Did you wear a uniform? | 你以前穿制服吗? |
[1:24:03] | Sometimes. | 有时候 |
[1:24:06] | Must have looked cute in blue. | 你穿蓝色肯定很帅 |
[1:24:10] | Give me a break, will you? | 让我休息一下 好吗? |
[1:24:13] | I don’t know you. | 我不了解你 |
[1:24:16] | I want to know more about you. | 我想多了解你一些 |
[1:24:19] | Not now. | 不是现在 |
[1:24:23] | You really don’t like to talk about the past, do you? | 你当真不喜欢谈论过去 是吗? |
[1:24:29] | I’m tired. | 我累了 |
[1:24:31] | No. Why does it bother you to talk about it? | 为什么谈论过去你让你这么烦呢? |
[1:24:34] | – It bothers everybody that works there. – Where? | – 每个在那儿工作的人都烦 – 哪儿? |
[1:24:39] | Chinatown. Everybody. | 唐人街 每个人 |
[1:24:42] | To me, it was just bad luck. | 对我来说 真的是倒霉 |
[1:24:44] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:24:48] | You can’t always tell what’s going on. | 你总是不知道会发生什么事 |
[1:24:53] | Like with you. | 就像跟你在一起一样 |
[1:25:04] | Why was… | 为什么… |
[1:25:08] | Why was it bad luck? | 为什么会是霉运? |
[1:25:15] | I was trying to keep someone from being hurt. | 我努力保护某个人不受到伤害 |
[1:25:19] | I ended up making sure that she was hurt. | 可是最后却一定会让她受伤 |
[1:25:30] | Was there a woman involved? | 是不是也有一个女人牵扯其中? |
[1:25:34] | Of course. | 当然 |
[1:25:37] | Dead? | 死了吗? |
[1:25:52] | Yes, hello? | 是 喂? |
[1:25:56] | Oh, my God. No, look, don’t do anything. | 哦 天哪 什么都别做 |
[1:26:00] | Don’t do anything until I get there. | 在我过去之前什么都别做 |
[1:26:07] | I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[1:26:10] | – Where? – Just that I have to. | – 去哪儿? – 是我必须要去的地方 |
[1:26:14] | – I want to know where you’re going. – No, please. Don’t be angry. | – 我想知道你去哪儿 – 不 拜托 别激动 |
[1:26:18] | It has nothing to do with you or with any of all of this. It’s just… | 这件事跟你 跟这一切都没有关系 |
[1:26:21] | – Where are you going? – Please… | – 你去哪儿? – 求求你… |
[1:26:27] | Trust me this much. | 请相信我 |
[1:26:39] | I’ll be back. | 我会回来 |
[1:26:46] | And there is… | 有些… |
[1:26:49] | There is something that I should tell you about. | 有些事情我要告诉你… |
[1:26:52] | The fishing club that old lady mentioned… | 是关于那位老太太提到的俱乐部的 |
[1:26:58] | – The pieces of the flag… Yes. – The Albacore Club. | – 那面旗子…没错 – 海鱼俱乐部 |
[1:27:01] | – It has to do with my father. – I know. | – 它跟我父亲有关系 – 我知道 |
[1:27:04] | He owns it… You know? | 他拥有它…你知道? |
[1:27:07] | I saw him. | 我见到他了 |
[1:27:12] | You saw | 你见到… |
[1:27:15] | my father? | 我父亲了? |
[1:27:19] | – What… When? – This morning. | – 什么时候? – 今天早上 |
[1:27:25] | You didn’t tell me. | 你并没有告诉我 |
[1:27:27] | Well, there hasn’t been much time. | 嗯 没有那么多的时间 |
[1:27:31] | What… | 那他… |
[1:27:32] | What did he say? | 他说什么了? |
[1:27:40] | What did he say? | 他说什么了? |
[1:27:42] | That you were jealous. | 说你嫉妒 |
[1:27:45] | And that he was afraid what you might do. | 说他担心你会做些什么 |
[1:27:47] | Do? To whom? | 做什么?针对谁? |
[1:27:51] | Mulwray’s girlfriend, for one. | 莫瑞的女朋友 那一个 |
[1:27:55] | He wanted to know where she was. | 他想知道她在那儿 |
[1:28:01] | I want you to listen to me. | 我想你仔细听我说 |
[1:28:03] | Now, my father is a very dangerous man. | 我父亲是一个很危险的人 |
[1:28:08] | You don’t know how dangerous. You don’t know how crazy. | 你不知道他有多危险 你不知道他有多疯狂 |
[1:28:13] | Are you trying to tell me that he might be behind all this? | 你打算跟我说他就是这一切的幕后者? |
[1:28:16] | It’s possible. | 这是有可能的 |
[1:28:24] | Even the death of your husband? | 甚至你丈夫的死? |
[1:28:27] | It’s possible. | 有可能 |
[1:28:29] | Now, please, don’t ask me any more questions now, | 好了 拜托 不要再问我问题了 |
[1:28:31] | just wait. Wait for me here. | 在这儿等我回来 |
[1:28:34] | I need you here. | 我需要你在这儿 |
[1:31:45] | No, no. Here. | 不不 在这 |
[1:32:16] | Give me the keys. | 把钥匙给我 |
[1:32:20] | You… | 你…! |
[1:32:21] | It’s either that or you drive yourself to the police. | 要么这样 要么你自己开车去警察局 |
[1:32:25] | The police? | 警察局? |
[1:32:27] | Come on, Mrs. Mulwray. | 别装了 莫瑞夫人 |
[1:32:28] | You’ve got your husband’s girlfriend tied up in there. | 你把你丈夫的女朋友绑在那里 |
[1:32:32] | – She’s not tied up. – You know what I mean. | – 她没有被绑起来 – 你知道我的意思 |
[1:32:34] | – You’re holding her against her will. – I am not! | – 你非法拘留她 – 我没有 |
[1:32:39] | – Okay. Then let’s go talk to her. – No! | – 那好吧 我们进去跟她谈谈 – 不! |
[1:32:43] | She’s… | 她… |
[1:32:44] | She’s too upset. | 她太伤心了 |
[1:32:48] | What about? | 因为什么? |
[1:32:50] | Hollis’s death. | 霍利斯的死 |
[1:32:53] | I tried to keep it from her. | 我试图对她隐瞒这件事 |
[1:32:54] | I didn’t want her to know until I could make plans for us to leave. | 直到我们做好打算离开 |
[1:32:59] | You mean she just found out about it? | 她刚刚才知道? |
[1:33:03] | That’s not what it looks like, Mrs. Mulwray. | 看起来不太像 莫瑞夫人 |
[1:33:07] | What does it look like? | 看起来像什么? |
[1:33:09] | Like she knows more than you want her to tell. | 看起来 她知道比你想让她说的多 |
[1:33:14] | You’re insane. | 你有神经病 |
[1:33:15] | Just tell me the truth. I’m not the police. | 跟我说实话 我不是警察 |
[1:33:18] | I don’t care what you’ve done. I don’t want to hurt you. | 我不管你做过什么 我不想伤害你 |
[1:33:26] | You won’t go to the police if I tell you? | 如果我告诉你你不会去报警吗? |
[1:33:28] | I will if you don’t. | 如果你不说 我会 |
[1:33:44] | She… | 她… |
[1:33:45] | She… | 她… |
[1:33:48] | She… | 她… |
[1:33:50] | She’s my sister. | 她是我的妹妹 |
[1:33:58] | Take it easy. | 放松点 |
[1:34:00] | If she’s your sister, she’s your sister. | 如果她是你的妹妹 她就是你的妹妹 |
[1:34:04] | Why all the secrecy? | 为什么要保密呢? |
[1:34:08] | I can’t. | 我不能… |
[1:34:09] | Is it because of Hollis? Because she was seeing your husband? Is that it? | 就是因为她跟你的丈夫幽会?是这样吗? |
[1:34:18] | I would never have harmed Hollis. | 我从来没有伤害过霍利斯 |
[1:34:21] | He was the most gentle, decent man imaginable. | 他是所能想象的最绅士 最正派的人 |
[1:34:27] | And he put up with more from me than you’ll ever know. | 而且他所忍受我的远远比你知道的要多 |
[1:34:34] | I wanted him to be happy. | 我希望他开心 |
[1:34:56] | I borrowed your husband’s car. I’ll bring it back in the morning. | 我借用了你丈夫的车 早上我会放回去 |
[1:35:01] | But aren’t you going… Coming back with me? | 你不跟我一起回去? |
[1:35:03] | Don’t worry. I’m not going to tell anybody about this. | 别担心 我不会跟任何人说的 |
[1:35:08] | That’s not what I meant. | 我不是那个意思 |
[1:35:14] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[1:35:16] | Well, I’m tired, Mrs. Mulwray. | 嗯…我累了 莫瑞夫人 |
[1:35:21] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:36:27] | Gittes? | 吉特斯? |
[1:36:30] | – Gittes? – Yeah? | – 吉特斯? – 嗯? |
[1:36:32] | Ida Sessions wants to see you. | 艾达·瑟辛想见你 |
[1:36:35] | – Who? – Ida Sessions. You remember Ida. | – 谁? – 艾达·瑟辛想见你 还记得艾达吧? |
[1:36:40] | – Yeah, I do? – Sure, you do. | – 对 我记得… – 你当然记得 |
[1:36:46] | I tell you what, pal. | 我跟你说 伙计… |
[1:36:49] | If Ida wants to see me, she can call me at my office. | 如果艾达想见我 她可以打电话到我的办公室 |
[1:37:20] | 848-1/2 East Kensington. Echo Park. | 埃克公园 848-1/2 东肯辛顿 |
[1:37:24] | She begged me to call. She’s waiting for you. | 她求我给你打电话 她在等你 |
[1:40:35] | Find anything interesting, Gittes? | 发现什么了吗 吉特斯? |
[1:40:42] | What are you doing around here? | 你在这儿干什么? |
[1:40:44] | Didn’t you call me? | 你没有跟我打电话吗? |
[1:40:48] | How come you happen to know her? | 你怎么认识她? |
[1:40:50] | I don’t. | 我不认识 |
[1:40:55] | Come here. I want to show you something. | 我想给你看点东西 |
[1:41:07] | – Isn’t that your phone number? – Is it? | – 这不是你的电话吗? – 是吗? |
[1:41:10] | I forget. I don’t call myself that often. | 我忘了 我不经常给自己打电话 |
[1:41:12] | Well, just to make sure, we had Loach here give you a call. | 只是想确定一下 我们让罗克给你打了电话 |
[1:41:15] | What happened to your nose, Gittes? | 你的鼻子怎么了? |
[1:41:17] | Somebody slam a bedroom window on it? | 被卧室的窗子打到了吗? |
[1:41:22] | Nope. Your wife got excited. She crossed her legs a little too quick. | 不是 你老婆太兴奋了 她并腿太快了 |
[1:41:25] | You understand what I mean, pal? | 你知道我的意思吗?伙计 |
[1:41:28] | Loach. | 卢治 |
[1:41:50] | They look familiar? | 眼熟吗? |
[1:41:53] | – Yeah. I took them. So what? – How did she happen to have them? | – 对 我照的 怎么了? – 她怎么会有这些照片? |
[1:41:56] | Either you tell me or I guess. I don’t know the answer. | 你告诉我 或者让我猜 |
[1:42:00] | You must really think I’m stupid, don’t you, Gittes? | 你真的觉得我傻吗?吉特斯 |
[1:42:03] | I don’t think about it that much, | 我没有想太多 |
[1:42:04] | but give me a day or two and I’ll get back to you. | 但请给我一两天的时间 我会来找你的 |
[1:42:07] | – Now I’d like to go home. – I want the other pictures, Gittes. | – 现在我想回家了 – 我想要其它的照片 |
[1:42:11] | What pictures? | 什么照片? |
[1:42:13] | This broad hired you, not Evelyn Mulwray. | 这个女人雇佣的你 而不是伊夫琳 莫瑞 |
[1:42:17] | – Yeah? – Yeah. | – 是吗? – 是的 |
[1:42:19] | Somebody wanted to shake Mulwray down, | 有人想把莫瑞整下台 |
[1:42:21] | she hired you. | 她雇用的你 |
[1:42:23] | That’s how come you found out he was murdered. | 因此你发现他是被谋杀的 |
[1:42:25] | – I heard it was an accident. – Come on, Gittes. | – 我听说那是一个意外 – 得了吧 吉特斯 |
[1:42:28] | Who the hell do you think you’re dealing with, a bunch of assholes? | 你把我们两个当成是白痴吗? |
[1:42:32] | Mulwray had salt water in his lungs. | 莫瑞的肺部有盐水 |
[1:42:36] | You were following him day and night. You saw who killed him. | 你日夜跟踪他 你看到了是谁杀的他 |
[1:42:39] | You even took pictures of it. | 你甚至拍了照片 |
[1:42:41] | It was Evelyn Mulwray, | 是伊夫琳·莫瑞 |
[1:42:43] | and she’s been paying you off like a slot machine ever since. | 从那个时候起她就开始给你钱 |
[1:42:46] | – You accusing me of extortion? – Absolutely. | – 你要控告我勒索? – 当然 |
[1:42:49] | I don’t think I need a day or two. | 我想我不需要一两天了 |
[1:42:51] | You’re dumber than you think I think you are. | 你比你认为的我所想象中的你还要白痴 |
[1:42:53] | Not only that, but I wouldn’t extort a nickel from my worst enemy, Escobar. | 我不会从我最糟糕的敌人那儿勒索一分钱的 |
[1:42:56] | That’s where I draw the line. | 那就是我的界线 |
[1:42:58] | I want the rest of the pictures, Gittes. | 我想要照片 吉特斯 |
[1:43:00] | We’re talking about accessory after the fact, | 我们谈论的是犯罪以后 |
[1:43:02] | conspiracy, and extortion, minimum. | 包庇罪犯 共谋还有敲诈 |
[1:43:04] | What do you think, Evelyn Mulwray knocked off her husband in the ocean, | 你认为伊夫琳 莫瑞在海里面杀死 了她的丈夫… |
[1:43:06] | then dragged him up to a reservoir | 然后把他拉到水库 |
[1:43:08] | because she thought it would look more like an accident? | 好让这一切看起来像是一个意外 |
[1:43:12] | Mulwray was murdered and moved | 别人移动他 |
[1:43:13] | because somebody didn’t want his body found in the ocean. | 是因为不想让他的尸体在海里被发现 |
[1:43:17] | Why is that? | 为什么这么做? |
[1:43:18] | He found out they were dumping water there. | 他发现他们在放水 |
[1:43:20] | That’s what they were trying to cover up. | 他们试图想掩盖这件事 |
[1:43:24] | – What the hell are you talking about? – Come on. I’ll show you. | – 你他妈到底在说什么? – 得了 我带你看 |
[1:43:29] | Come on, Lou. You’re in charge. Make a decision. | 快点 卢 你是负责人 作决定吧 |
[1:43:51] | – It’s too late. – Too late for what? | – 太晚了 – 什么太晚了? |
[1:43:52] | They only dump the water at night. | 他们只在晚上放水 |
[1:43:57] | – Reach anybody? – Yelburton. He’s the new chief. | – 联系到什么人了吗? – 伊尔博坦 他是新的主管 |
[1:44:00] | – Yeah, I know who he is. Go on! – He says… | – 我知道 继续 – 他说… |
[1:44:03] | – I know what he says. – Shut up. | – 我知道他说什么 – 闭嘴 继续! |
[1:44:07] | Go on! | 继续 |
[1:44:08] | Yelburton says there’s irrigation in the Valley, | 他说是在浇灌山谷那一片 |
[1:44:10] | and there’s always a little run-off after they do that. | 那里总有一些水在流失 |
[1:44:12] | And he says Gittes knows this, | 他说吉特斯知道这些 |
[1:44:14] | and he’s been going around making irresponsible accusations all last week. | 他做了一些不负责任的指控 |
[1:44:18] | Lou, let’s swear out a warrant for her arrest. | 我们申请她的逮捕令 |
[1:44:20] | What the hell are we waiting for? | 我们还在等什么? |
[1:44:22] | He just made lieutenant. Wants to hang on to his little gold bar. | 他才刚当上副队 他只是想紧紧抓住那块小肩章 |
[1:44:30] | Have your client in my office in two hours. | 让她在我办公室呆两个小时 |
[1:44:33] | And remember, I don’t have to let you go. | 记住 我不必让你走 |
[1:44:36] | I’ve got you right now for withholding evidence. | 我现在因为藏匿证据而扣留你 |
[1:44:40] | Loach? | 卢治? |
[1:45:27] | Where’s Mrs. Mulwray? | 莫瑞夫人在那儿? |
[1:45:30] | These her bags? | 这些是不是她的包? |
[1:45:34] | Is she going on a trip? | 她准备去旅游? |
[1:45:37] | What are you doing? What’s going on here? | 你在做什么?发生什么事了? |
[1:45:40] | – Is she going on a vacation? – Mrs. Mulwray no home. | – 她要去度假? – 莫瑞夫人不在家 |
[1:45:44] | “Mrs. Mulwray no home.” Well, I’ll just have a look around, huh? | “莫瑞夫人不在家”好吧 我四处看看 |
[1:45:55] | Yeah, yeah. Bad for the glass. | 没错 是的 对水草不好 |
[1:45:57] | Oh, yes. Bad for glass. | 哦 是的 对水草不好 |
[1:46:00] | Salt water very bad for glass. | 盐水对水草很不好 |
[1:46:18] | Salt water? | 盐水? |
[1:46:20] | Very, very bad. See? | 非常 非常不好 看到了? |
[1:46:32] | What’s that? | 那是什么? |
[1:46:35] | Right there. | 在那边 |
[1:46:40] | There. | 那边 |
[1:47:39] | – You wait. – You wait. | – 你等等 – 你等等 |
[1:47:47] | How are you? I’ve been calling you. | 你好吗?我一直都在跟你打电话 |
[1:47:49] | – Yeah? – It’s all right, Kahn. | – 哦? – 没事的 卡恩 |
[1:47:51] | – Have you slept? – Sure. | – 你睡着了吗? – 当然 |
[1:47:54] | Have you had lunch? Kahn can fix you something. | 吃过午饭了吗? |
[1:47:57] | – Where’s the girl? – Upstairs. Why? | – 那个女孩儿呢? – 楼上 怎么了? |
[1:48:00] | I want to see her. | 我想见见她 |
[1:48:02] | She’s having a bath right now. Why do you want to see her? | 她在洗澡 你怎么想见她? |
[1:48:06] | Going someplace? | 要出去? |
[1:48:09] | Yes. We have a 5:30 train to catch. | 对 我们要赶五点半的火车 |
[1:48:15] | Jake? | 杰克 |
[1:48:26] | J.J. Gittes for Lieutenant Escobar. | 杰克·吉特斯找埃斯科巴副队 |
[1:48:29] | But… Now look, what’s the matter? What’s wrong? | 但是…怎么了?发生什么事了? |
[1:48:32] | – I told you, we have a 5:30… – You’re going to miss your train. | – 我说过我们五点半… – 你赶不上火车了 |
[1:48:36] | Lieutenant Escobar. | 埃斯科巴副队 |
[1:48:38] | – Lou? – Yeah. | – 卢? – 在 |
[1:48:39] | Meet me at 1972 Canyon Drive. | 到峡谷路1972号找我 |
[1:48:43] | Yeah. Soon as you can. | 对 越快越好 |
[1:48:46] | Why did you do that? | 你为什么要这么做? |
[1:48:49] | – You know any good criminal lawyers? – No. | – 你认识什么负责刑事案件的律师吗? – 不认识 |
[1:48:53] | Don’t worry, I can recommend a couple. | 别担心 我帮你介绍两个 |
[1:48:57] | They’re expensive, but you can afford it. | 比较贵 但是你能出得起 |
[1:49:01] | Will you please tell me what this is all about? | 你能行行好告诉我到底是怎么回事吗? |
[1:49:16] | I found these in your backyard in the pond. | 我在你家后院的池塘里发现了这个 |
[1:49:20] | They belonged to your husband, didn’t they? | 是你丈夫的 不是吗? |
[1:49:23] | Didn’t they? | 不是吗? |
[1:49:25] | – I don’t know. Yes, probably. – Yes, positively. | – 我不知道 是 有可能 – 没错 肯定是 |
[1:49:28] | It’s where he was drowned. | 他在那儿淹死的 |
[1:49:31] | What? | 什么? |
[1:49:32] | There’s no time to be shocked by the truth. | 没时间对事实感到震惊了 |
[1:49:35] | The coroner’s report proves | 根据报告 |
[1:49:36] | that he had salt water in his lungs when he was killed. | 验尸官发现他的肺里面有盐水 |
[1:49:39] | Just take my word for it, all right? | 现在听我说 好吗? |
[1:49:40] | Now, I want to know how it happened, and I want to know why, | 现在我想搞清这事怎么回事 还有为什么 |
[1:49:42] | and I want to know before Escobar gets here, | 我想在埃斯科巴到这儿之前得到答案 |
[1:49:44] | because I don’t want to lose my license. | 因为我不想丢了自己的执照 |
[1:49:46] | I don’t know what you are talking about. This is the craziest, most insane thing… | 我不知道你在说什么 这是最疯狂… |
[1:49:51] | Stop it! | 别说了! |
[1:49:52] | I’m gonna make it easy for you. | 我来帮你理顺一下 |
[1:49:54] | You were jealous. You had a fight. He fell. He hit his head. | 你嫉妒她 所以你们打架了 他撞倒了头 |
[1:49:57] | It was an accident! | 这是个意外 |
[1:49:58] | But his girl is a witness. So you had to shut her up. | 但那个女孩是目击证人 所以你得让她闭嘴 |
[1:50:01] | You don’t have the guts to harm her, | 你没有胆量伤害她 |
[1:50:02] | but you got the money to keep her mouth shut. | 而且你有这笔封口费 |
[1:50:04] | – Yes or no? – No! | – 是不是? – 不是! |
[1:50:07] | Who is she? And don’t give me that crap about your sister, | 她是谁?她不是你的妹妹! |
[1:50:09] | because you don’t have a sister. | 因为你根本没有妹妹! |
[1:50:11] | I’ll tell you… | 我会告诉你… |
[1:50:14] | I’ll tell you the truth. | 我会告诉你真相 |
[1:50:18] | Good. What’s her name? | 很好 她叫什么名字? |
[1:50:21] | – Katherine. – Katherine who? | – 凯瑟琳 – 凯瑟琳什么? |
[1:50:26] | She’s my daughter. | 她是我的女儿 |
[1:50:29] | I said I want the truth! | 我说我要真相 |
[1:50:32] | She’s my sister. | 她是我的妹妹 |
[1:50:35] | She’s my daughter. | 她是我的女儿 |
[1:50:38] | My sister, my daughter! | 我妹妹 我女儿 |
[1:50:41] | I said I want the truth! | 我说过我要事实真相! |
[1:50:43] | All of it! | 全都是事实 |
[1:50:46] | She’s my sister and my daughter! | 她是我的妹妹 也是我女儿! |
[1:50:53] | Kahn, please, go back. | 克汉 求求你 回去 |
[1:50:55] | For God’s sake, keep her upstairs. Go back! | 看在上帝的份上 让她呆在楼上 回去吧 |
[1:51:05] | My father and I… | 我父亲跟我… |
[1:51:12] | Understand? | 明白了吗? |
[1:51:14] | Or is it too tough for you? | 或者这个对于你太困难了? |
[1:51:25] | He raped you? | 他强奸了你? |
[1:51:43] | Then what happened? | 然后呢? |
[1:51:45] | I ran away. | 我逃跑了 |
[1:51:47] | To Mexico. | 去了墨西哥 |
[1:51:55] | Hollis came and took care of me. | 霍利斯来了 照顾我 |
[1:52:02] | I couldn’t see her. | 我不能见她 |
[1:52:05] | I was 15. | 我只有15岁 |
[1:52:10] | I wanted to, but I… | 我很想 但是我… |
[1:52:13] | I couldn’t. | 我不能 |
[1:52:17] | Then… | 然后… |
[1:52:21] | Now I want to be with her. | 现在我想跟她一起 |
[1:52:24] | I want to take care of her. | 我想照顾她 |
[1:52:26] | Where are you going to take her now? | 你想带她去那儿? |
[1:52:29] | Back to Mexico. | 回到墨西哥 |
[1:52:31] | Well, you can’t take the train. Escobar will be looking for you everywhere. | 你不能坐火车 埃斯科巴会四处找你的 |
[1:52:39] | Well, how about a plane? | 那坐飞机呢? |
[1:52:44] | No, that’s worse. | 不 那更糟 |
[1:52:45] | You better just get out of here. Leave all this stuff here. | 你最好走吧 把这都留在这儿 克汉住那儿? |
[1:52:48] | Where does Kahn live? Get the exact address. | 卡恩住在哪?要确切的地址 |
[1:52:53] | All right. | 好吧 |
[1:52:58] | Those didn’t belong to Hollis. | 这不是霍利斯的 |
[1:53:02] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道? |
[1:53:04] | He didn’t wear bifocals. | 他不戴双焦距的 |
[1:53:37] | Katherine, say hello to Mr. Gittes. | 凯瑟琳 跟吉特斯先生打招呼 |
[1:53:41] | Hello. | 你好 |
[1:53:44] | Hello. | 你好 |
[1:53:50] | He lives at 1712 Alameda. Do you know where that is? | 他住在1712号0大道 你知道是哪儿吗? |
[1:53:56] | Sure. | 当然 |
[1:54:18] | J.J. Gittes and Associates. | 杰克·吉特斯和助手 |
[1:54:20] | – Sophie, get me Walsh. – Yes, Mr. Gittes. | – 苏菲 给我找一下沃尔什 – 好的 吉特斯先生 |
[1:54:24] | – Jake? – Yeah. | – 杰克? – 是的 |
[1:54:26] | Listen, pal, Escobar’s going to try and book me in about five minutes. | 听着伙计 埃斯科巴可能会在5分钟之内 过来控告我 |
[1:54:30] | What? What the hell’s the matter? What… | 什么?发生什么事了? |
[1:54:31] | Relax and I’ll tell you. | 放松点 我会跟你说的 |
[1:54:33] | Wait in the office for me about two hours. | 在你的办公室等我两个小时 |
[1:54:36] | If you don’t hear from me, you and Duffy meet me at 1712 Alameda. | 如果还没有我的消息话 你跟达菲就去1712大道 |
[1:54:41] | Jesus. That’s in Chinatown, ain’t it? | 天哪 是在唐人街 不是吗? |
[1:54:44] | I know where it is. Just do it. | 我知道是在哪儿 就这么做 |
[1:54:46] | 1712 Alameda… | 1712大道 |
[1:55:17] | Come on in, Lou. | 进来 卢 |
[1:55:20] | Looks like we’re both too late. She flew the coop. | 看起来我们都晚了 她已经离开了 |
[1:55:29] | I don’t suppose you have any idea where she went. | 你不知道她去哪儿? |
[1:55:32] | – As a matter of fact, I do. – Where? | – 事实上 我知道 – 哪里? |
[1:55:35] | Her maid’s house. I think she knows something’s up. | 她女仆的家 她知道一些事情 |
[1:55:38] | What’s the maid’s address? | 那个女仆家在哪儿? |
[1:55:41] | She lives in Pedro. I’ll write it down. | 在普渡 我写下来… |
[1:55:43] | No, no, no, Gittes. You’re going to show us. | 不不不 吉特斯 你带我们去 |
[1:55:47] | What for? | 为什么? |
[1:55:49] | Because if she ain’t there, you’re going downtown, | 因为如果她不在的话 你就得去市中心 |
[1:55:51] | and you’re gonna stay there until she does show up. | 你就得一直待到 她出现为止 |
[1:55:55] | Gee, Lou, I’m doing the best I can. | 好吧 卢 我尽力 |
[1:55:59] | Tell us about it on the way to San Pedro. | 告诉我们去圣 普渡的路上 |
[1:56:15] | – Let’s get the little lady. – Lou, can I ask you a favor? | – 我们去抓那个女人 – 能帮个忙吗? |
[1:56:19] | I’d like to bring her out myself. | 我想自己带她出来 |
[1:56:22] | She’s not armed or nothing. She won’t be a problem. | 她不会有武器的 不会有什么问题 |
[1:56:26] | I just want a minute alone with her. It would mean a lot to her. | 我只是想跟她单独呆一会儿 这对她很重要 |
[1:56:30] | And to me. | 对我也是 |
[1:56:36] | You never learn, do you, Jake? | 你从来都不会吸取教训 是吗 吉特斯? |
[1:56:40] | I guess not. | 我想不是 |
[1:56:44] | Okay. But… | 好吧… |
[1:56:48] | I’ll give you three minutes. | 我给你三分钟 |
[1:56:50] | Just three minutes. | 只有三分钟 |
[1:56:52] | Gee, thanks, Lou. | 恩 谢谢你 卢 |
[1:57:09] | Yes? | 什么? |
[1:57:12] | Hello. | 你好 |
[1:57:14] | Mr. Gittes! Come in! Well, this is some surprise, Mr. Gittes. | 吉特斯先生 进来! 太意外了 |
[1:57:17] | Call me Jake. How you doing, Curly? | – 叫我杰克 你好吗 克力? |
[1:57:19] | Just sitting down for supper. You care to join us? | 刚坐下来吃饭 一起吃吗? |
[1:57:21] | No, thanks. | 不了 谢谢 |
[1:57:23] | How about a glass of wine? | 来杯酒怎么样? |
[1:57:25] | – Hey, honey, this is the fellow that… – I know. | – 亲爱的 这位是… – 我知道 |
[1:57:27] | No, thank you, Curly, very much, but I would like a glass of water, though. | 不了 非常谢谢 不过我想喝一杯水 |
[1:57:31] | Come on out in the kitchen with me for a second, huh? | 跟我来厨房一会儿吧 嗯? |
[1:57:33] | Sure thing. | 当然可以 |
[1:57:38] | – Curly, where’s your car? – In the garage. | – 克力 你的车在哪儿? – 路那边的车克力 |
[1:57:40] | – Where’s that? – Off the alley. | – 在哪? – 在外面 |
[1:57:43] | – Can you give me a ride somewhere? – Sure, soon as we eat. | 能不能载我一段…? |
[1:57:45] | Right now, Curly. It can’t wait. | 就现在 我不能能再等了 |
[1:57:48] | – I’ll tell my wife. – Tell her later, Curl, huh? | – 我得告诉我妻子 – 以后再告诉她 克力 |
[1:58:23] | Just drive slow for a block or two, will you, Curly? | 头一两个街区开慢一点 |
[1:58:26] | – What’s this all about? – I’ll tell you in a block or two. | – 到底发生什么事了? – 我一会儿告诉你 |
[1:58:32] | How much do you owe me? | 你欠我多少钱? |
[1:58:34] | Gee, Mr. Gittes, we’re going out tomorrow. | 这个 吉特斯先生 我们明天要出船 |
[1:58:37] | I know you been real good about it, but my cousin Auggie’s sick. | 你一直都很好 但是我的表弟病了 |
[1:58:41] | Forget it. How would you like to pay me off | 你愿不愿意用带两个人去安森达 |
[1:58:43] | by taking a couple of passengers to Ensenada? | 来抵消你的钱? |
[1:58:46] | – You’d have to leave tonight. – I don’t know. | – 必须要今晚走 – 我不知道 |
[1:58:49] | I might be able to squeeze 75 bucks out of it for you. | 我也许还可以省出75美元给你 |
[1:58:55] | Maybe even 100. | 甚至100 |
[1:58:58] | – Plus what I owe? – I’ll throw that in, too. | – 加上我欠的? – 我会把这些加进去 |
[1:59:02] | 1712 Alameda. It’s in Chinatown. Wait for me until 8:30. | 唐人街1712号大街 等我到八点半 |
[1:59:05] | If I don’t show up, take them to your boat. | 如果我没有出现的话 把她们带到你的船上 |
[1:59:21] | You sure this is okay? | 你确定这样行吗? |
[1:59:24] | Curly, you know how long I’ve been in this business? | 你知道我在这行做了多久吗? |
[1:59:55] | Have you got your checkbook handy, Mr. Cross? I’ve got the girl. | 你把支票本准备好了吗 克罗斯先生? 我找到那个女孩了 |
[2:00:00] | You’ve got her? Where? | 你找到了?在哪儿? |
[2:00:03] | Do you remember the figures we discussed? | 还记得我们定的价钱吗? |
[2:00:05] | Of course I do. Where are you? | 当然记得 你在哪儿? |
[2:00:07] | At your daughter’s house. How soon can you get here? | 在你女儿家 你什么时候能过来? |
[2:00:10] | An hour. | 一个小时 |
[2:00:36] | Oh, there you are. | 哦 你在这儿 |
[2:00:38] | Well, you don’t look too much the worse for wear, Mr. Gitts, I must say. | 你穿的怎么真是糟的不再糟了 |
[2:00:43] | – Where’s the girl? – I’ve got her. | – 女孩在哪儿?她还好吗? – 我找到她了 |
[2:00:45] | – Is she all right? – She’s fine. | – 他还好吗? – 还好 |
[2:00:48] | Well, where is she? | 那么 她在哪儿? |
[2:00:50] | With her mother. | 跟她妈妈一起 |
[2:00:54] | I got something I’d like to show you, Mr. Cross. | 我有一些东西想给你看 |
[2:00:57] | What is it? | 是什么? |
[2:00:58] | An obituary column. Can you see all right in this light? | 讣告栏 你这样能看得清楚吗? |
[2:01:02] | I guess I can manage. | 我想能行 |
[2:01:13] | What does it mean? | 什么意思? |
[2:01:15] | That you killed Hollis Mulwray. | 意思是 你杀死了霍利斯·莫瑞 |
[2:01:18] | Right here, | 就在这儿 |
[2:01:20] | in that pond. | 在池塘里 |
[2:01:22] | You drowned him. | 你淹死了他 |
[2:01:25] | And you left these. | 把眼镜落在了这里 |
[2:01:29] | The coroner’s report shows Mulwray had salt water in his lungs. | 验尸官的报告表明他的肺里面有盐水 |
[2:01:37] | Hollis was always fascinated by tide pools. | 霍利斯总是对潮水洼很着迷 |
[2:01:42] | You know what he used to say? | 你知道他过去经常怎么说吗? |
[2:01:44] | I haven’t the faintest idea. | 我一点点都不知道 |
[2:01:46] | “That’s where life begins.” | “生命开始的地方 |
[2:01:48] | Sloughs, tide pools. | 起源于潮水洼” |
[2:01:52] | When we first come out here, | 当他第一次来这里 |
[2:01:53] | he figured if you dumped water into desert sand | 他估计到如果你把水倒进沙漠… |
[2:01:56] | and let it percolate down to the bedrock, it would stay there | 并且让它过滤到基岩 就会存在那里 |
[2:02:00] | instead of evaporate the way it does in most reservoirs. | 这样它们就不会像在水库那样蒸发掉 |
[2:02:03] | You’d only lose 20% instead of 70 or 80. He made this city. | 只会损失20% 而不是80% 他建了这座城市! |
[2:02:07] | And that’s what you were going to do in the Valley. | 你原打算在流域地区这样做? |
[2:02:09] | It’s what I am doing. | 我一直都在这么做 |
[2:02:10] | When the bond issue passes Tuesday, | 星期二协议一通过… |
[2:02:12] | there’ll be $8 million to build an aqueduct and a reservoir. | 就会有8百万美元可以用来造水库 |
[2:02:14] | I’m doing it. | 我正在做 |
[2:02:16] | Gonna be a lot of irate citizens | 人们一旦发现 |
[2:02:18] | when they find out that they’re paying for water that they’re not gonna get. | 当他们交了钱却没有水用 会疯了的 |
[2:02:21] | Oh, that’s all taken care of. | 会有人处理的 |
[2:02:23] | See, Mr. Gitts, either you bring the water to L. A., | 你看…吉特斯先生 要么你把水带到洛杉矶 |
[2:02:27] | or you bring L.A. to the water. | 要么你把洛杉矶带到水边 |
[2:02:30] | How are you gonna do that? | 你打算怎么做? |
[2:02:32] | By incorporating the Valley into the city. Simple as that. | 我要把流域地区合并到城里里面 |
[2:02:37] | – How much are you worth? – I have no idea. | – 你值多少钱? – 我不知道 |
[2:02:39] | How much do you want? | 你想要多少钱? |
[2:02:41] | No, I just want to know what you’re worth. Over $10 million? | 我只是想知道你值多少钱?1000多万? |
[2:02:43] | – Oh my, yes. – Why are you doing it? | – 哦 也许是 – 你为什么要这样? |
[2:02:46] | How much better can you eat? | 你吃的还不够好吗? |
[2:02:47] | What can you buy that you can’t already afford? | 你还有什么买不起的? |
[2:02:50] | The future, Mr. Gitts! | 未来 吉特斯先生 |
[2:02:52] | The future! | 未来 |
[2:02:54] | Now, where’s the girl? | 那女孩在哪儿? |
[2:02:56] | I want the only daughter I’ve got left. | 我想找到我唯一留下的女儿 |
[2:02:59] | As you found out, Evelyn was lost to me a long time ago. | 正如你所知 我很早就失去伊芙琳了 |
[2:03:02] | Who do you blame for that? Her? | 这你能怪谁呢?怪她? |
[2:03:05] | I don’t blame myself. | 我不会责怪自己 |
[2:03:08] | See, Mr. Gitts, most people never have to face the fact | 大部分人从来不面对这个事实… |
[2:03:11] | that at the right time and the right place, | 就是在合适的时间 何时的地方 |
[2:03:14] | they’re capable of anything. | 他们可以做任何事情 |
[2:03:19] | Claude, take those glasses from him, will you? | 克劳德 把这眼镜拿走 好吗? |
[2:03:29] | It’s not worth it, Mr. Gitts. | 这不值得 吉特斯先生 |
[2:03:33] | It’s really not worth it. | 这真的不值 |
[2:03:42] | Where’s the girl? | 女孩在哪? |
[2:04:38] | You remember “Night Train” Claude Mulvihill, don’t you, boys? | 还记得夜间列车吗?克劳德·莫威黑尔?不记得了? |
[2:04:41] | Mr. Cross, these are my associates, Mr. Walsh and Mr… | 克罗斯先生 这是我的助手 沃尔什先生和… |
[2:04:46] | You’re under arrest, Jake. | 你被捕了 杰克 |
[2:04:50] | Good news. | 好消息 |
[2:04:52] | Withholding evidence, extortion, accessory after the fact. | 隐藏证据 勒索 窝藏嫌犯 |
[2:04:55] | I didn’t extort nothing from nobody, Lou. | 我没有从任何人那里勒索过任何东西 |
[2:04:58] | This is Noah Cross, if you don’t know. Evelyn’s father, if you don’t know. | 这是诺亚·克罗斯 伊芙琳的父亲 你可能还不知道 |
[2:05:01] | He’s the bird you’re after, Lou. I can explain everything. | 他才是你要抓的儿呢 解释每一件事情 |
[2:05:03] | – Lieutenant? – Just give me five minutes. | – 副队? – 给我五分钟的时间 |
[2:05:05] | That’s all I need. | 我只需要五分钟 |
[2:05:06] | – He’s rich! Do you understand? – Shut up! | – 他很有钱 你知道吗? – 你闭嘴 |
[2:05:08] | He thinks he can get away with anything! | 他以为有钱就可以逃脱处罚 |
[2:05:10] | Shut up or I’m gonna lock you in to the wheel of that car. | 闭嘴 否则我把你扣起来 |
[2:05:13] | Lieutenant, I am rich, I am Noah Cross. | 我很有钱 我是诺亚·克罗斯 |
[2:05:17] | – Evelyn Mulwray is my daughter. – He’s crazy, Lou! | – 伊芙琳·莫瑞是我的女儿 – 他疯了 卢 |
[2:05:20] | He killed Mulwray because of the water thing! | 他为了水的事杀了莫瑞 |
[2:05:21] | – I’m telling… – Water? | – 我告诉你… – 水? |
[2:05:23] | Would you just listen to me for five minutes? | 听我讲五分钟好吗? |
[2:05:24] | Loach, lock him to the wheel of that car. | 卢治 把他锁在车轮子上 |
[2:05:27] | Lou, you don’t know what’s going on here. I’m telling you. | 卢 你不知道这儿会发生什么事 |
[2:05:30] | Katherine! | 凯瑟琳! |
[2:05:32] | Katherine. | 凯瑟琳 |
[2:05:33] | – I am your grandfather, my dear. – Come, miss. | – 我是你的祖父 – 过来 亲爱的 |
[2:05:38] | – I’m your grandfather. – Come, miss. | – 我是你的祖父 – 过来 亲爱的 |
[2:05:40] | Katherine, get in the car. | 凯瑟琳 上车 |
[2:05:42] | – Go on, go on. – But, ma’am… | – 继续 别停 – 但是… |
[2:05:43] | No, no, go back to the Hong Kong. I’ll follow. It’s all right. | 不 回香港去 我会跟着的 没事 |
[2:05:47] | Get away from her. Get away! | 离开她!离开她 |
[2:05:49] | Evelyn. Please, please, be reasonable. | 伊芙琳 拜托…理智一点 |
[2:05:54] | – Come to my… – Get away from her! | – 到我的… – 快离开她! |
[2:05:57] | Evelyn! | 伊芙琳 |
[2:05:59] | How many years have I got? | 我已经等了多久了? |
[2:06:03] | She’s mine, too. | 她也是我的 |
[2:06:04] | She’s never going to know that! | 她永远都不要知道那些! |
[2:06:09] | Evelyn, you’re a disturbed woman. You cannot hope to provide. | 你是个不正常的女人 你没有能力提供… |
[2:06:13] | Evelyn, put that gun away! Let the police handle this! | 伊芙琳 交给警察处理… |
[2:06:16] | He owns the police! | 警察局是他的! |
[2:06:19] | Get away from her. | 快离开她! |
[2:06:21] | – You’ll have to kill me first. – Get away! Get… | – 那你得先杀了我 – 离开她 走开 |
[2:06:25] | Katherine, close the door. | 凯瑟琳 关上车门 |
[2:06:28] | Halt! | 停下! |
[2:07:10] | Oh, no! | 哦 不 |
[2:07:11] | Better call the captain. Get an ambulance. | 快叫副队 叫救护车 |
[2:07:14] | – No! – Turn him loose. Turn them all loose. | – 不 – 给他们松绑 全部松绑 |
[2:07:16] | – Lord. – No! | – 主啊 – 不 |
[2:07:21] | Lord. | 主啊 |
[2:07:23] | Lord. | 主啊 |
[2:07:26] | No! No! | 不 不 |
[2:07:29] | – No! No! No! No! No! – Don’t look. Don’t look. Don’t look. | – 不不 不不不… – 别看 别看… |
[2:07:45] | – As little as possible. – What’s that? | – 尽可能的少 – 你说什么 |
[2:07:51] | What’s that? | 什么意思 |
[2:07:57] | You want to do your partner a big favor? | 你想帮你的拍档你个大忙吗? |
[2:08:02] | Take him home. | 带他回家 |
[2:08:07] | Take him home! | 带他回家 |
[2:08:09] | Just get him the hell out of here! | 让他离开这个地方 |
[2:08:12] | Come on, Jake. | 快点 杰克 |
[2:08:14] | Go home, Jake. | 回去吧 杰克 |
[2:08:17] | I’m doing you a favor. | 我是在帮你 |
[2:08:20] | Come on, Jake. | 快点 杰克 |
[2:08:25] | Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown. | 忘了它吧 杰克 这里是唐人街 |
[2:08:42] | All right, come on. Clear the area! On the sidewalk! | 好吧 把这儿弄干净 到人行道上去 |
[2:08:48] | On the sidewalk! | 到人行道上去! |
[2:08:52] | Get off the street! | 别站在街上 |
[2:08:56] | Get off the street! | 离开街道! |