英文名称:Flags of Our Fathers
年代:2006
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:05] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[01:11] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[01:20] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[01:25] | For God sakes! Corpsman! | 上帝啊! 看护兵在哪? |
[01:31] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[01:46] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[01:51] | Honey, what’s wrong? | 亲爱的 怎么了? |
[02:10] | Every jackass thinks he knows what war is. | 每个蠢蛋都自认为懂得战争 |
[02:15] | Especially those who’ve never been in one. | 特别是那些从未踏入战场的 |
[02:19] | We like things nice and simple, | 我们总喜欢单纯的事物 |
[02:22] | good and evil, heroes and villains. | 善良与邪恶 英雄和恶棍 |
[02:26] | There’s always plenty of both. | 两方面的例子都多得很 |
[02:30] | Most of the time, they are not who we think they are. | 但多数时候 我们的想法和事实相去甚远 |
[02:52] | Where is he? | 他在哪? |
[02:56] | Where is he? | 他在哪? |
[02:59] | Where…Where is he? Where is he? | 他…他在哪? 他在哪? |
[03:04] | Mr. Bradley? | 布莱德利先生? |
[03:08] | Mr. B? You okay? | 布莱德利先生? 你还好吧? |
[03:11] | -Where is he? -Where is who? | -他在哪? -你说谁? |
[03:14] | Where is he? Where did he go? Where…Where is he? | 他在哪? 他去哪了? 他…他在哪? |
[03:17] | All right. Just stay right here, okay? | 呆着别动 好吗? |
[03:19] | I’m gonna call an ambulance. It’ll be okay. | 我马上去叫救护车 不会有事的 |
[03:24] | Where is he? | 他在哪? |
[03:29] | Most guys I knew would never talk about what happened over there. | 我所认识的人当中 大多数都闭口不提在那边的经历 |
[03:34] | Probably ’cause they’re still trying to forget about it. | 大概是因为他们依旧在试图忘却它 |
[03:37] | They certainly didn’t think of themselves as heroes. | 他们当然不认为自己是英雄 |
[03:44] | They died without glory. | 没有带着荣耀去另一个世界 |
[03:47] | Nobody has taken their pictures. | 也没有留下照片 |
[03:50] | Only their buddies knew what they did. | 只有他们的战友知道他们的事迹 |
[03:53] | I’d tell their folks they died for their country. | 我会告诉他们的家人 他们是为国捐躯的 |
[03:57] | I’m not sure that was it. | 但我对此不是十分肯定 |
[03:59] | Now, there were plenty other photos taken that day, | 那天其实还照了许多其它的照片 |
[04:02] | but none anybody wanted to see. | 但除了那张 其它的没有人关心 |
[04:04] | What we see and do in war, | 战争中 我们亲眼目睹和亲身参与 |
[04:08] | the cruelty, is unbelievable. | 那种残酷是不可想象的 |
[04:13] | But somehow we gotta make some sense of it. | 但是不管怎么样 我们总得让它有些意义 |
[04:16] | To do that, we need a easy to understand truth | 这样的话 我们只需要一个浅显的事实 |
[04:19] | and damn few words. | 和三言两语 |
[04:24] | Film’s ruined. | 胶片报废了 |
[04:25] | I don’t know. This one looks all right. | 我不知道 但这张看起来没事 |
[04:33] | And if you can get a picture… | 如果你能得到一张照片… |
[04:39] | Now, the right picture can win or lose a war. | 好的照片可能会左右一场战争的胜负 |
[04:44] | You’re gonna want to see this. | 这个你肯定感兴趣 |
[04:47] | Look at Vietnam. | 想想越南吧 |
[04:49] | The picture of that South Vietnamese officer… | 那张南越军官… |
[04:51] | blowing that fella’s brains out of the side of his head, whammo! | 一枪让那家伙脑浆四溅的照片 |
[04:57] | That was it. | “嘣”地一下 就完了 |
[04:59] | The war was lost. | 战争就输了 |
[05:02] | We just hung around trying to pretend it wasn’t. | 我们只不过赖在那里不肯承认而已 |
[05:07] | Took a lot of other pictures that day. None of them made a difference. | 那天照了很多其它的照片 但它们都大同小异 |
[05:14] | Thanks. Appreciate it. | 多谢惠顾 |
[05:26] | Sounds ridiculous, but it happened. | 听起来很荒谬 但它确实发生了 |
[05:30] | Country was bankrupt. | 当时国家濒临破产 |
[05:32] | People were becoming cynical and tired of war. | 人们冷嘲热讽 厌倦了战争 |
[05:50] | Oh, my Lord, that’s Harlon! | 我的天 这不是哈龙吗? |
[05:52] | Where? | 在哪? |
[05:53] | Right there. Planting that flag, that’s your brother. | 这里 正在插旗子的那个 是你哥哥 |
[05:57] | Ma, all you can see is his behind. | 妈 你只能看到他的屁股 |
[05:59] | And that’s his. I powdered and diapered it, I know my son. | 就是他 我给他屁股擦过粉换过尿布 我怎会不认识我儿子 |
[06:04] | That’s him. Go get your father. | 就是他 快把你爸叫来 |
[06:06] | Daddy, Ma’s got a picture of Harlon’s keister in the paper. | 爸 妈这里有一张报纸 印着哈龙的大屁屁 |
[06:09] | You watch your mouth, young man. | 嘴巴干净点 小子 |
[06:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[06:30] | One photo, almost all on its own, turned that around. | 一张照片 几乎独力扭转了局面 |
[06:35] | It’s on the front page of every major paper. | 每家大报的头版都登着这张照片 |
[06:38] | Over 200 dailies and they’re all flooded with requests for prints. | 200多家日报社被读者的信件淹没 都要求刊登这张照片 |
[06:44] | I think we might have found it. | 我们可能得把它找出来 |
[07:37] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[07:40] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[07:45] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[07:46] | -I gotta go get him. -Oh, no, you don’t. | -我去找他 -不 别去 |
[07:49] | Iggy, I gotta go. | 伊基 我得去 |
[07:50] | I have a whole different theory. | 我的想法正相反 |
[07:51] | He wants medical attention bad enough, he’ll come to us. | 如果他真需要救护 他自己会过来的 |
[07:54] | Shut up and crawl over here, you lazy son-of-a-bitch! | 别叫了 自己爬过来 你这个懒虫! |
[07:58] | As soon as that flare goes out. | 照明弹一灭 我就冲过去 |
[08:00] | -Crap. Okay, well, I’ll go with you. -No. | -靠 好吧 我和你一起去 -不用 |
[08:02] | You’re actually gonna leave me here? | 你其实是想把我丢在这里? |
[08:04] | I’ll be right back, just shoot some people. I gotta go. | 我马上就回来 帮我掩护 我得去了 |
[08:20] | Oh, God. | 噢 天 |
[08:22] | Okay, it’s okay. | 好 没事的 |
[08:24] | Don’t touch them. Don’t touch them. | 别碰伤口 别碰伤口 |
[08:25] | Get your hands out of there. Let me do that. I’ll do it, okay? | 把你手拿开 让我来 我会搞定的 好吗? |
[08:27] | Don’t look. Keep your head back. Keep your eyes on me. | 别看 头朝后仰 看着我 |
[08:30] | All right, look at me. I’ll get it. I’ll take care of it. | 好 看着我 我会搞定的 我会处理好的 |
[08:33] | We’ll get this bandage on you. We’ll get you taken care of. | 先用这个绷带包扎一下 我们会好好照顾你的 |
[08:37] | And we’ll get you down to the bottom, all right? | 我们要把你抬到山下去 好吗? |
[08:39] | Look, you’re gonna be fine. | 瞧 你会没事的 |
[08:42] | It’s okay. | 没事的 |
[08:44] | I’ll do that. I’ll do that. | 我来 我来 |
[08:47] | Here, put some pressure on that. | 压住这里 |
[08:49] | Put your hands on top and put some pressure on it. | 手放在上面压住它 |
[08:51] | Keep your head back. Keep breathing. | 头朝后仰 保持呼吸节奏 |
[08:53] | Keep looking at me, all right? Just keep looking at… | 看着我 好吗? 看着… |
[09:01] | Doc. | 大夫 |
[09:04] | Help me. | 救救我 |
[09:09] | Help me. | 救救我 |
[09:24] | All right. Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:35] | How’s that feel? | 感觉怎么样? |
[09:37] | -It feels good. -It does? All right. | -不错 -真的? 好 |
[09:40] | -Good. -All right. | -不错 -好 |
[09:42] | I’m gonna go get a stretcher and get you down to the beach. I’ll be right back. | 我去找个担架 把你送到海滩上 我马上就回来 |
[09:46] | I’m all right. | 我没事了 |
[09:48] | Go and help someone who’s hurt. | 去帮其他受伤的人吧 |
[09:51] | All right. Hold on there. | 好 呆在这里别动 |
[10:05] | -Where’d he go? -Who? | -他去哪儿了? -谁? |
[10:07] | The guy who was right here, Ignatowski. Where did he go? | 在这里的人 伊格纳托斯基 他去哪儿了? |
[10:10] | -I think you jumped in the wrong hole. -I didn’t jump in the wrong hole! | -我看你是进错散兵坑了 -我没进错! |
[10:12] | He was right here, now where the hell is he? | 刚才他还在这儿的 他到底去哪儿了? |
[10:16] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[10:19] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[10:20] | You shut up. You want every Jap on the island shooting at us? | 别叫了 你想让岛上的鬼子 都朝我们这儿打吗? |
[10:23] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[10:44] | Holy shit. | 我的妈呀 |
[10:49] | They expect us to climb this? | 他们想让我们爬这个? |
[10:54] | Or something just like it. | 或者差不多的地方 |
[11:03] | So, where you think they’re sending us? | 你看他们会把我们送哪儿去? |
[11:06] | I think it’s the desert, Franklin. | 我想是沙漠 富兰克林 |
[11:09] | Well, that makes no sense at all. | 那可没道理 |
[11:11] | Well, it’s just military psychology. | 这叫军事心理学 |
[11:13] | They always train you for the desert on a volcano. | 为了适应沙漠 他们总是在火山上训练你 |
[11:18] | Now you’re just having fun with me. | 你们在拿我开心 |
[11:21] | Harlon, take your men right. | 哈龙 带你的人去右边 |
[11:23] | -Watch for Bedouins. -Yes, sir. | -小心那些贝都因人 -明白 长官 (贝都因人: 沙漠地带从事游牧的阿拉伯人) |
[11:25] | -What’s a Bedouin? -It’s a guy with a camel. | -贝都因人是什么? -骑骆驼的人 |
[11:29] | Well, Jeez Louise, maybe we are going to the desert. | 噢 上帝 我们可能真要去沙漠 |
[11:34] | Now, you tilt that to the right, but what if the bullet comes from the left? | 你把它歪戴在右边 如果有子弹从左边飞来 怎么办? |
[11:39] | Bullets don’t come from the left. You know any left-handed Japs? | 子弹不可能从左边来 你认识左撇子的日本鬼子? |
[11:44] | That makes about as much sense as you showering with your shoes on. | 这就和你穿着鞋洗澡一样 其实一点道理都没有 |
[11:47] | You don’t even know why you do it, do you? | 你甚至不知道自己为什么那么戴 不是吗? |
[11:49] | ‘Cause I don’t tell you mean I don’t know? | 我不告诉你就证明我不知道? |
[11:51] | You do it ’cause Mike does it. | 因为你只是学迈克而已 |
[11:54] | I’ll ask him. | 我会问他的 |
[11:56] | So you cut hair back home? | 你在老家也帮人理发? |
[11:58] | Some. | 有时候 |
[11:59] | Training to be a barber, are you, Doc? | 你想学当理发师 是吧 大夫? |
[12:02] | No, I just studied it a little. | 不 我只是学了点皮毛 |
[12:06] | But not in barber school? | 不是在理发学校学的? |
[12:08] | Nope. | 不是 |
[12:11] | -Gosh. -Let me guess, Hayes is winning. | -唉 -让我猜一下 海耶斯赢了 |
[12:13] | Chief, I had very little to do with Sitting Bull’s death, | 酋长 我跟”坐牛”的死没有关系 (坐牛: 北美印第安苏族部落的酋长 曾在小大角溪之战中大败美军) |
[12:17] | so maybe you could stop taking it out on me. | 你要报仇可别找我 |
[12:19] | Different tribe. The Pimas fought on the side of the white man. | 搞错部落了吧 我们皮玛人可是站在白人这边的 (皮玛人:北美印第安部落的一支 现在主要居住在美国亚利桑那州中部) |
[12:23] | -See, now that’s smart. -That is smart. | -看 这就是聪明 -这就是聪明 |
[12:26] | Yeah. Worked real good for us. | 耶 确实不赖 |
[12:29] | Good luck, fellas. | 好运 伙计们 |
[12:31] | Hey, good night, Lindberg. | 嘿 晚安 林德伯格 |
[12:32] | Dead bodies. He cuts hair on dead bodies. | 死人 他竟然给死人剃头 |
[12:37] | What? Even I knew that. | 怎么了? 我早就知道 |
[12:41] | -Who’s in? -Oh, I’m in. I’m in. | -谁来? -噢 我来 我来 |
[12:44] | It must be a lot easier with them not moving around and all. | 我猜如果一动不动的话 肯定会好剃得多 |
[12:48] | -There’s that. -Yeah. | -确实是 -耶 |
[12:50] | You know what I been thinking? | 你知道我一直在想什么吗? |
[12:52] | Well, they been telling us we need to buddy up | 他们一直告诉我们要多交朋友 |
[12:55] | and I think we’d make pretty good buddies. | 我想我们俩一定会成为好朋友 |
[12:58] | And how do you figure that? | 你为什么这么想? |
[12:59] | Well, you know, in that we have a lot in common. | 你知道 我们有许多共同点 |
[13:04] | So, why do you cut dead people’s hair, anyway? | 为什么你会给死人理发? |
[13:07] | I’m studying to work in a funeral home. | 我正在学习怎么在殡仪馆工作 |
[13:11] | You tell a lot of people that? | 你跟很多人都这么说的? |
[13:14] | You actually chose the Marines because they got the best uniform? | 你选择海军陆战队 只因为他们有最好的制服? |
[13:18] | No sense being a hero if you don’t look like one. | 没有英雄派头的话 当了英雄也没感觉 |
[13:24] | Jacks. | 对J |
[13:27] | Queens. | 对Q |
[13:28] | Shit. | 他妈的 |
[13:31] | Do anything on that reservation but play cards, Chief? | 酋长 你在保留区里面除了玩牌 还干过什么? |
[13:34] | All right, listen up, you sorry bunch of leathernecks! | 好 都听着 你们这帮可怜的陆战队员 |
[13:39] | We practice going over the side tomorrow | 我们明天准备练习翻船舷 |
[13:40] | which means we ain’t long for this piece of rock. | 也就是说我们在这里呆不久了 |
[13:42] | All right! | 太棒了! |
[13:44] | One more thing, any man who doesn’t have his masturbation papers in order | 还有件事 那些还没有登记手淫用纸的 |
[13:47] | better get them signed by tomorrow night or he ain’t going overseas. | 最好在明晚前签字 否则到海上可什么都没有 |
[13:49] | -I got mine already. -Oh, yeah. I’m square. | -我已经有了 -噢 好 那我就放心了 |
[13:51] | Wait. Why am I just hearing about this? | 等一下 我怎么头一次听说有这事? |
[13:54] | That’s horseshit, Franklin. I don’t have to repeat everything twice for you. | 别扯了 富兰克林 我没有义务把每件事都对你说两遍 |
[13:57] | No, I didn’t hear nothing about no masturbating papers. | 没人告诉我 会没有手淫纸用 |
[14:00] | Heard they were running short. | 听说快发光了 |
[14:03] | You know, nobody tells me nothing. That’s real nice, guys. | 没一个人告诉我 你们真太好了 |
[14:06] | All right, get your ass over to the officer in charge of records. | 去找管登记的军官去 |
[14:08] | Maybe he got some more left. | 他可能还有一些 |
[14:11] | -Leave your smokes. I’ll play for you. -Thanks, Mike. | -把你的烟留下 我替你玩 -谢谢 迈克 |
[14:14] | Listen, he calls you an idiot, you take it like a man, okay? | 听着 如果他管你叫白痴 你要像个爷们一样顶住 |
[14:17] | Just do not leave without signing them. | 不签名就不要离开 |
[14:19] | -I appreciate it, Sergeant. -You got it. | -十分感谢 中士 -没什么 |
[14:27] | What the hell happened to your hair, Rene? | 雷尼 你这个头发到底是怎么回事? |
[14:31] | Look like a goddamn corpse. | 真他妈的像死人 |
[14:38] | Three points of contact on that rope at all times. | 始终和绳子保持三个接触点 |
[14:42] | Next four. Over the side. | 后面四个 翻过去 |
[14:45] | Let’s go. Keep moving. | 别停下来 |
[14:48] | Next four, over the side. | 后面四个 翻过去 |
[14:50] | Just keep your eye on the guy below you. | 看着脚下的人 |
[14:52] | That’s all you gotta look at. | 别的都不用管 |
[14:53] | Watch me, Doc, just watch me. | 看我怎么做 大夫 注意看 |
[14:55] | Keep three points of contact on the rope at all times. | 始终和绳子保持三个接触点 |
[15:01] | You see? No big thing. | 看到了吗? 很简单 |
[15:04] | Just one step at a time and keep your hands on the vertical rope. | 一次下一步 手要一直抓住垂直的绳子 |
[15:07] | Remember, once you’re in the boat move away from the rope. | 记住 一旦下到船上 就离绳子远点 |
[15:10] | Just make sure you keep three points of contact on the rope. | 只要记住和绳子保持三个接触点就行 |
[15:13] | I got him! | 我去救他! |
[15:14] | All right, get that man out of the water. | 好 把那个人拉上来 |
[15:16] | Give me a hand. | 帮我一下 |
[15:18] | Grab his pack. | 抓住他的背包 |
[15:20] | Don’t worry about him, Doc. | 不用担心他 大夫 |
[15:21] | All right, quit skylarking! Keep it moving! | 都别笑了 继续 别停下 |
[15:23] | He’ll be fine. | 他没事的 |
[15:26] | Our target, Island X, | 我们的目标: X岛 |
[15:28] | is an ugly, smelly, dirty little scab of rock called lwo Jima. | 那是一个丑陋 难闻 肮脏的 石头小岛 名叫Iwo Jima |
[15:33] | It means “Sulfur Island,” which accounts for the smell. | 意思是”硫磺岛” 因为岛上都是硫磺味 |
[15:38] | Looks sort of like a burnt pork chop, you ask me. | 如果你问我那是什么味道 有点像烧焦了的排骨 |
[15:42] | After 20 straight days of bombing | 在连续轰炸20天后 |
[15:44] | you won’t find a blade of grass or a twig on it. | 上面将会寸草不生 一根毛都找不到 |
[15:46] | It wasn’t that pretty to start with. | 不会是什么漂亮的地方 |
[15:49] | Captain? | 上尉? |
[15:50] | Lwo’s just five-and-a-half miles long, two-and-a-half wide. | 硫磺岛长5.5英里 宽2.5英里 |
[15:54] | There’s a lump down at the bottom. That’s Mount Suribachi. | 底下有一块高地 那是折钵山 |
[15:57] | On the maps in front of you the island is white. | 在你们面前这张地图上 这个岛是白色的 |
[15:59] | Not much of it. | 不是很白 |
[16:01] | The black dots represent known enemy emplacements. | 黑点代表已知的敌人炮位 |
[16:04] | Coastal defense guns, dual-mount dual-purpose guns, | 有岸防炮 双联装高平两用炮 |
[16:07] | covered artillery emplacements. | 还有隐蔽的火炮掩体 |
[16:08] | Rifle pits, foxholes, antitank guns | 战壕 散兵坑 反坦克炮 |
[16:10] | machine guns, blockhouses, pillboxes, and earth-covered structures. | 机枪 碉堡 地堡和地下工事 |
[16:14] | I don’t see any barracks or any other structures. | 我没看见兵营和其他类型的建筑 |
[16:17] | That’s right. | 确实如此 |
[16:19] | And we still don’t know why. | 原因我们还不清楚 |
[16:21] | Now, this isn’t just any island to them. | 这个岛对他们来说非同寻常 |
[16:24] | This isn’t Tarawa, Guam, Tinian, or Saipan. | 这不是塔拉瓦岛 关岛 提尼安岛 或者塞班岛 |
[16:28] | This is Japanese soil, sacred ground. | 这是日本的领土 他们神圣的土地 |
[16:32] | Twelve thousand Japanese defenders in eight square miles. | 在这八平方英里的土地上 驻扎了一万两千名日本守军 |
[16:35] | They will not leave politely, gentlemen. | 他们可不会老老实实地离开 先生们 |
[16:37] | It’s up to us to convince them. | 所以要靠我们来”说服”他们 |
[16:40] | The 28th will land here at Green Beach. | 28团准备在绿滩登陆 |
[16:43] | The 8th Ammo Company will land here to re-supply. | 第八弹药连在这里登陆 提供补给 |
[16:46] | The Suribachi’s guns are the biggest problem. | 折钵山的火炮是最大的障碍 |
[16:48] | They can hit any point on the island. | 它们能打到岛上任何位置 |
[16:50] | We’re sitting ducks until we take them out. | 在搞定它们之前 我们都是靶子 |
[16:52] | That’s our job. | 这就是我们的任务 |
[16:54] | We cut across the island, right at the base, slit its throat, lop off its head. | 我们就在底部把岛切成两段 割断它喉咙 让它脑袋搬家 |
[16:58] | And we take that mountain. | 我们要夺下那座山 |
[16:59] | We take that mountain, we take their big guns. | 我们夺下了那座山 就夺下了他们的大炮 |
[17:02] | We take their eyes. | 而且挖掉了他们的眼睛 |
[17:17] | Okay, I’m heading in. Follow me. | 我来领飞 跟着我 |
[17:20] | Let’s put a good show on for the Marines. | 我们给海军陆战队亮一手 |
[17:22] | Close it up. Take it right down to the deck. | 再靠近点 和甲板持平 |
[17:39] | Yeah, boys! | 耶 小伙们! |
[17:45] | Man overboard portside! | 有人落水了! |
[17:56] | See him? | 看到他了吗? |
[18:00] | Throw me a line! | 给我一根绳子! |
[18:01] | He’s right there. | 他在那边 |
[18:03] | -Where is he? -Watch out, watch out, watch out. | -他在哪? -小心 小心 |
[18:06] | Hawaii’s that way! | 夏威夷在那边! |
[18:12] | Just keep paddling, Mac, we’ll catch you on the way back! | 继续玩 马克 我们回来的时候会接你的! |
[18:16] | Hold on, they’re gonna lower a raft! | 坚持住 他们会放救生艇的! |
[18:20] | They’re not gonna stop. | 他们不会停下来的 |
[18:21] | What? | 什么? |
[18:23] | None of them are. They can’t. | 没有一个会停下来的 他们不能 |
[18:33] | So much for “No man left behind.” | 这就是所谓的”不让一个人掉队” |
[18:42] | -Sir. -Come on in. | -长官 -进来 |
[18:44] | Look, I’ve had to make a few other changes. | 我不得不做一些其它改动 |
[18:47] | I’m promoting you to platoon sergeant. | 我要提你当排副 |
[18:51] | -Thank you, sir. I appreciate it. -You bet. | -谢谢 长官 我很感激 -小意思 |
[18:54] | Trouble is, I already told my men I’d see them through this. | 问题是 我已经告诉我的手下 我会和他们共患难 |
[18:58] | That your James Cagney impersonation? | 你在模仿詹姆斯·卡格尼? (詹姆斯·卡格尼: 美国电影演员 1942年学院奖最佳男演员) |
[19:00] | ‘Cause I’ve heard better. | 我见过演得比你好的 |
[19:02] | Well, I’ll keep practicing, then. | 这么说我会继续练习的 |
[19:06] | Look, this isn’t your first time through this. | 你也不是第一次参战了 |
[19:07] | -You don’t need to prove anything. -No, sir. | -你不需要证明什么 -不需要 长官 |
[19:12] | You’re not the best sergeant I’ve ever had, | 你不是我见过的最好的中士 |
[19:14] | you’re just the best one that’s still walking. | 你只是那些还能走路的人当中最好的 |
[19:16] | -Block’s a good man. -Yes, sir, he is. | -布洛克是个好战士 -是的 长官 他确实是 |
[19:18] | The men know him, he can step right in. | 士兵们都熟悉他 他可以很快接替你 |
[19:22] | You know, I have actually thought this through. | 你知道 我其实已经考虑过了 |
[19:25] | Platoon sergeant puts you further away from the bullets. | 当了排副 你就能离子弹远点 |
[19:28] | I already gave them my word, sir. | 我已经答应过他们了 长官 |
[19:31] | I told them I’d bring them all home to their mothers | 我说过要把他们全都活着带回家见妈妈 |
[19:33] | which means I already lied to half of them. Can’t lie to the rest. | 现在我已经对一半人食言了 不能再骗另一半 |
[19:39] | -How are your men? -They’ll do fine. | -你的手下怎么样? -他们做得很好 |
[19:43] | Except maybe Gagnon. | 大概只有盖格南例外 |
[19:45] | Our own Tyrone Power? | 我们自己的泰龙·鲍华*? (*四十年代的好莱坞影星) |
[19:48] | Yes, sir. He’s a good man, just might be better use further back from the lines. | 是的 长官 他是个好战士 只不过在后方表现得更好 |
[19:55] | I’ll use him as a runner. | 我会让他当传令兵 |
[19:57] | All right. Thank you, sir. | 好的 谢谢 长官 |
[19:59] | Now get out of here. | 现在出去吧 |
[20:08] | Hear the good news, Doc? We’re going in with the first waves. | 听到好消息了吗 大夫? 我们和第一波进攻的人一起去 |
[20:11] | Hey, you do that again I’ll take your head off! | 嘿 你再这么干的话 我会让你脑袋搬家! |
[20:14] | Fucking dominoes. | 他妈的骨牌 |
[20:16] | Iggy, have you ever heard news you considered to be bad? | 伊基 什么消息对你来说才是坏消息? |
[20:21] | The first ones off the ship, Doc. | 第一批下船的人 大夫 |
[20:23] | Means we don’t go over the side of the ship. | 也就是说我们不用再翻船舷了 |
[20:25] | We hop on a tractor, they drive us right there. | 我们搭乘拖船 他们带我们过去 |
[20:28] | Oh, shit, that is good news. | 噢 靠 这才是好消息 |
[20:30] | You see? What’d I tell you? | 明白了吧? 我告诉过你什么来着? |
[20:40] | What’s going on? | 发生什么了? |
[21:07] | Look at that. | 快看 |
[21:09] | We’re killing them! | 我们正在屠宰他们! |
[21:11] | We’re killing them, Doc. | 我们正在屠宰他们 大夫 |
[21:39] | I was promised 10 days of shelling. | 说好了要炮轰十天 |
[21:42] | You’re giving me three and saying that’s the best you can do? | 你现在说只能给我三天 还说你已经尽力了? |
[21:45] | I don’t give a shit! My men hit that beach with less than 10 | 我他妈的不管! 如果十天不到就让我的人抢滩 |
[21:48] | and I’ll be taking them home to their mamas in buckets! | 我只能带着他们的骨灰 去见他们的妈妈了 |
[21:54] | Yeah, I know exactly why. | 嗯 我知道是怎么回事 |
[21:56] | Because every Navy man with a scrambled egg on his chest | 因为每个胸前戴着金绶带的海军 |
[21:58] | wants to offload us here and sail to Japan | 都想把我们扔在这里 然后自己去日本 |
[22:01] | so they can be there for the big finish, | 这样他们就能在那边见到大结局 |
[22:05] | tell their kids they captured the Emperor all by themselves. | 然后告诉自己的孩子 他们亲手抓住了天皇 |
[22:08] | Well, you aren’t going to Japan unless we take this piece of shit island! | 只要我们没有拿下这个鸟岛 你们就别想去日本! |
[22:13] | These little pricks are dug in! | 这些小鬼子都钻在地底下呢! |
[22:18] | Okay, appreciate that, Jim. Three days is a fucking beautiful thing. | 好 吉姆 我很感激 三天真是太棒了 |
[22:29] | Sharpen your knife or bayonet? | 需要磨匕首或刺刀吗? |
[22:31] | I’m okay. | 我的不用 |
[22:34] | Sharpen your knife or bayonet? | 需要磨匕首或刺刀吗? |
[22:35] | Jesus, lggy, just leave me alone, all right? | 天 伊基 让我一个人呆一会儿 行吗? |
[22:39] | How about you guys? Knife? Bayonet? Kick in the ass? | 你们需要吗? 匕首? 刺刀? 还是给你们鼓鼓劲? |
[22:43] | How about you, Doc? Sharpen your knife? | 你呢 大夫? 需要磨匕首吗? |
[22:46] | You sharpened it three times already. | 已经被你磨过三次了 |
[22:48] | Well, then I better make sure I didn’t nick it. | 那我最好看一下有没有缺口 |
[22:53] | Good man, Doc. | 谢谢 大夫 |
[22:59] | -Hey, Doc. -Yeah. | -嘿 大夫 -在 |
[23:02] | When we land, try not to wave this kit around too much. | 我们登陆后 别让急救箱过于暴露 |
[23:06] | They got sharpshooters that are trained to look for them. | 他们有狙击手 对寻找这些目标做过训练 |
[23:08] | And they know that if they take out a corpsman… | 他们知道如果放倒一个看护兵… |
[23:10] | another dozen Marines will die unattended. All right? | 就等于放倒几十个临死的陆战队员 知道吗? |
[23:13] | Okay, Mike. | 明白 迈克 |
[23:21] | Yeah, right there. | 耶 就听这个 |
[23:53] | Close the damn door. For God’s sake. | 把他妈门关上 上帝 |
[23:55] | Yeah, like that’s gonna help. | 嗯 关上比较好 |
[24:04] | That your girlfriend, Chief? | 酋长 女朋友的照片? |
[24:08] | Bet she’s a pretty damn good-looking squaw. | 她肯定是个印第安美人 |
[24:10] | Bet you’re missing her, and that little wigwam of yours. | 他一定想她了 还有你们温馨的小茅屋 |
[24:23] | Welcome, all Marines off lwo Jima. | 欢迎所有准备前往硫磺岛的陆战队员 |
[24:27] | We have a long-time wait… | 我们等了很长时间… |
[24:29] | It’s what they do to prisoners, | 他们就是这样对待战俘的 |
[24:34] | -at least the lucky ones. -Jesus. | -至少这些还是幸运的 -上帝 |
[24:38] | If I were you, cowpokes, I wouldn’t think about waving a white bandanna. | 牛仔们 如果我是你们的话 我肯定不会挥白手帕投降的 |
[24:43] | Poor Marines, so far from home for no good reason. | 可怜的陆战队员们 莫名其妙地背井离乡 |
[24:49] | Think of your girls back home, waiting for you. | 想想你们的女友还在家里等着你们 |
[24:53] | But a girl cannot stay home every night. | 但是一个女人不可能每晚都守空房 |
[24:56] | So who do you think they’re with tonight? | 你认为她晚上会和谁为伴? |
[25:00] | And will she let him kiss her? And will he comfort her at your funeral? | 她会让那个人吻她吗? 那个人会在你的葬礼上安慰她吗? |
[25:05] | This sweet music is to make you think of your girls back home | 这首甜蜜的歌… |
[25:10] | who are missing you. | 会让你们想起在家思念你们的女友 |
[25:12] | This is all for now. I’ll see you tomorrow night. | 今天就到这里 明晚见 |
[27:31] | Gunners! | 炮手! |
[27:40] | Move, let’s go! Let’s go, get up on the berm! | 快 别停下! 快上防护堤! |
[27:50] | Gunners! | 炮手! |
[28:02] | We’re clear! | 这边安全! |
[28:07] | Get up the berm! | 上防护堤! |
[28:11] | Baker Company, move out! | B连 继续前进! |
[28:13] | -Seen Second Platoon? -I don’t see them. | -看到二排的人了吗? -没看见 |
[28:15] | First Squad, move it out! | 一班 继续冲! |
[28:17] | God, this place reeks. | 上帝 这地方太臭了 |
[28:32] | -Go, go, go! -Move out! | -冲 冲 冲! -快走! |
[28:34] | Go, go, go, go! Go, go! Go! Go, go! Drop your packs! Go! | 冲 冲 冲! 冲 冲 冲! 放下背包 快! |
[28:40] | All clear! | 齐了! |
[28:46] | -Jesus, you needed some exercise? -He got lost. | -天 你需要多锻炼吧? -他走丢了 |
[28:48] | A hundred landing craft heading for one beach and this guy gets lost. | 上百艘登陆艇都在一个海滩登陆 竟然还会走丢 |
[28:51] | Now I’m glad we did. Jesus, what a mess. | 庆幸的是我们没走失 天 乱作一团 |
[28:54] | Any theories why they ain’t shooting? | 他们一直没开枪 你有什么看法? |
[28:57] | It’s getting on my nerves. | 这才让我紧张 |
[28:59] | Maybe they’re all dead. | 他们可能死光了吧 |
[29:02] | What do you think, Doc? You think they’re all dead? | 你怎么想 大夫? 你认为他们都死了吗? |
[29:28] | Mike, take six men and bring that gun onto the beach. | 迈克 带六个人把那门炮抬到海滩上 |
[29:31] | Second Platoon, let’s move out! Stay down. Come on. | 二排 开始前进! 快起来 |
[29:35] | Move! Move! | 冲! 冲! |
[30:15] | -Get down! -Take cover! | -趴下! -找掩体! |
[30:18] | Move out! | 冲! |
[30:43] | Cover fire! Pour it on! | 火力掩护! 都给我开火! |
[30:48] | Ray, shift your fire to the right, now! | 雷 朝右边射 快! |
[31:00] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[31:04] | I’m gonna sling your arm and then I’ll give you a shot for the pain! | 我会给你吊绷带 然后再打止痛针 |
[31:08] | Move, move! Off the beach! | 快 快! 离开海滩! |
[31:10] | Take cover! | 找掩体! |
[31:29] | You got a girl back home, Marine? | 你家里有女朋友吗? |
[31:31] | We’re gonna make sure she sees you, all right? | 我们保证她会再见到你的 好吗? |
[31:34] | I need pressure on this wound! | 你帮他按住这个伤口! |
[31:44] | Where’s the fire coming from? | 他们是从哪射击的? |
[31:56] | Where are they? | 他们在哪? |
[31:59] | Look for a flash, shoot at it! | 找有火光的地方 向那里射击! |
[32:02] | Let’s go, let… | 我们冲 我… |
[32:21] | Twelve o’clock, take out the bunker! | 十二点方向 拿下那个地堡! |
[32:25] | You’re over! | 射高了! |
[32:36] | Third Squad, forward! Move! | 三班 前进! 冲! |
[32:50] | Where are they, sir? | 他们在哪 长官? |
[32:52] | We got ten o’clock! Ten o’clock, pillbox! Sergeant! | 十点钟方向 十点钟方向有火力点! 中士! |
[32:57] | -Sergeant! I think I can clear that out. -What? | -中士! 我能搞定它 -什么? |
[33:00] | All right, you go. Here. | 好 你去 接着 |
[33:01] | Take these. Check your weapon. | 拿着这些 检查你的武器 |
[33:04] | Yeah? Go! Cover! | 好了? 冲! 掩护! |
[33:06] | Cover him! | 掩护他! |
[33:13] | Cover, cover! | 掩护 掩护! |
[33:20] | Son-of-a-bitch. | 狗娘养的 |
[33:27] | Let’s go! Go! | 我们冲! 冲! |
[33:29] | Move it out! | 快! |
[33:33] | Go, go, go! | 冲 冲 冲! |
[33:38] | Down, down, down! | 趴下 趴下 趴下! |
[33:59] | It’s clear. | 搞定了 |
[34:00] | Good work. | 干得好 |
[34:10] | I thought you said it was clear! | 你说你已经把它搞定了! |
[34:11] | It was! | 刚才是! |
[34:19] | Shit, I guess they’re not in there firing at us then. | 妈的 我猜他们刚才没在那里射击 |
[34:23] | Lindberg! | 林德伯格! |
[34:25] | Yeah! | 在! |
[34:26] | Light it up! | 烧了它! |
[34:31] | I’ll cover you, Ice! | 我来掩护你 冰人! |
[34:32] | Don’t cover shit! There’s already enough people shooting! | 别他妈再掩护了! 开火的人已经够多了! |
[34:36] | One bullet and this thing goes up like a Roman candle! | 一颗子弹 这东西就变烟花了! |
[34:39] | Go! Shift fire! | 冲! 转移火力! |
[34:41] | Shift your fire! | 转移火力! |
[34:42] | Go, go! Shift your fire! | 冲 冲! 转移火力! |
[34:45] | Shift your fire! | 转移火力! |
[34:53] | Go! Move it out! | 冲! 快! |
[35:22] | Hit the deck! Stay down! Wait for support! | 卧倒! 别起来! 等援兵! |
[35:26] | Is this a bad battle or what? | 这仗是不是搞砸了? |
[35:28] | It’s a fucking slaughter. | 这他妈是屠杀 |
[35:41] | Christ Jesus! | 上帝啊! |
[35:50] | Get a machine gun team set up over here, now! | 给我找个机枪组来 架在这里 快! |
[35:58] | Thank God! Tanks! | 感谢上帝! 坦克来了! |
[36:00] | Runner! Get those tanks up here! | 传令兵! 让那些坦克到这边来! |
[36:04] | Oh, shit. | 噢 天 |
[36:06] | Get down! | 趴下! |
[36:08] | Corporal, watch your left flank! | 下士 小心你的左翼! |
[36:11] | Let’s go without them! Move out! Move out! | 不用等它们了! 冲 快冲! |
[36:41] | Lggy, you gotta lift your side, he’s gonna roll off. | 伊基 你那边抬高点 不然他会掉下来的 |
[36:43] | Got it, Doc! | 知道了 大夫! |
[36:48] | Incoming! | 炮弹来了! |
[36:55] | Move, move, move, move! | 快 快 快! |
[37:25] | Keep moving! | 别停下! |
[37:27] | Get that LVT up on the beach! | 让那辆登陆车上岸来! |
[37:31] | Keep moving! | 别停下! |
[37:38] | You’re next, pal, we’re getting you out of here. | 兄弟 下一个就是你 我们会带你离开这里 |
[37:45] | Move it! | 快抬! |
[38:01] | Great news. | 好消息 |
[38:04] | Maybe if you live up on Camp Tarawa, ’cause that’s where we’re headed. | 是不是要在塔拉瓦营地享福了 我们正要去那儿 |
[38:09] | Not you and me. | 你和我可不会去 |
[38:11] | Captain Severance asked me who else was in that picture, | 塞沃伦斯上尉问我那张照片里还有谁? |
[38:13] | and Christ if I could remember, | 我怎么可能记得 |
[38:15] | but it was Mike and Doc and Franklin and me and Hank Hansen | 但我知道肯定有迈克 大夫 富兰克林 汉克·汉森和我 |
[38:18] | but I just remembered, you were there, too. | 我刚刚想起来了 你当时也在 |
[38:26] | I wasn’t there. | 我不在 |
[38:28] | ‘Course you were. | 你当然在 |
[38:29] | Neither was Hank. He raised the first flag. | 汉克也不在 他插的是第一面旗 |
[38:32] | It was Harlon Block that raised that one. | 照片上那面是哈龙·布洛克插的 |
[38:34] | Shit. I told them it was Hank. | 妈的 我告诉他们是汉克 |
[38:37] | You weren’t there, Mr. Smart Ass, how’d you know it was Harlon? | 聪明先生 如果当时你不在 你怎会知道是哈龙插的那面? |
[38:40] | -You tell them it was me? -No. Like I said, I just remembered. | -你跟他们说是我干的? -没有 我说了 只是刚想起来 |
[38:43] | Good, keep your mouth shut. | 好 那就把嘴巴管紧了 |
[38:45] | They know there was somebody else, you can see it in the picture. | 他们知道当时肯定有其他人 你从照片上也能看出来 |
[38:48] | Then pick someone dead. | 那就找个死人 |
[38:49] | They don’t want somebody dead, you dumb redskin, | 他们不想要死人 你这个印第安傻佬 |
[38:51] | they want to ship us back to the States. | 他们想要把我们送回国内去 |
[38:54] | What did I tell you? | 我告诉过你什么来着? |
[38:58] | I wasn’t there. | 当时我不在 |
[39:00] | -You hear? -All right. | -听明白了吗? -好吧 |
[39:02] | Just settle down. | 冷静一下 |
[39:05] | -I’m not going anywhere. -You’re not going anywhere. | -我哪也不去 -你哪也不去 |
[39:44] | Who the hell says? | 谁说的? |
[39:50] | This is horseshit. | 靠 |
[39:55] | You wounded, son? | 你受伤了? |
[39:57] | No, sir. | 没有 长官 |
[39:58] | Well, did you take out a nest of Japs butt-naked with your bare hands? | 你空手干掉了一帮光屁股的日本鬼子? |
[40:02] | ‘Cause if I’m gonna give up my seat to a hero | 因为如果要我把座位让给英雄 |
[40:05] | he better have a good goddamn story to tell. | 他最好有个动听的故事 |
[40:07] | No, sir. | 没有 长官 |
[40:09] | Then enjoy it, ’cause they’ll forget you before Christmas. | 那就去享乐吧 因为他们在圣诞节前就把你遗忘了 |
[40:38] | The sixth man, you got a name? | 第六个人 你知道名字了? |
[40:41] | Sorry, still don’t remember. | 对不起 还是没有想起来 |
[40:43] | It’s a damn shame, ’cause I promised the Major you’d know who it was. | 这太丢人了 因为我向少校保证你知道那个人 |
[40:47] | Fact, you not knowing throws a doubt on you | 事实上 如果你真不知道… |
[40:49] | being one of the flag-raisers yourself. | 难免让人怀疑你有没有参与插旗 |
[40:51] | Since no one wants to be embarrassed, the moment you land | 既然没人想要尴尬的场面 那么一旦飞机着陆… |
[40:54] | they’ll turn you around, ship you off to Okinawa | 他们就会掉头 把你送回冲绳 |
[40:56] | in time to meet your buddies on the beach. | 你还来得及在海滩上见到战友 |
[40:59] | So, why don’t you stop screwing with me? Give me a damn name. | 所以你为啥就不能诚实点呢 我他妈需要的是个名字而已 |
[41:21] | Gangway! Gangway! Let’s go, let’s go! Gangway! | 闪开! 闪开! 快点 快! 闪开! |
[41:23] | Where the hell is that son-of-a-bitch? Hayes! Hayes? | 那个狗娘养的到底在哪? 海耶斯! 海耶斯? |
[41:27] | Hayes, get your red ass over here! | 海耶斯 快他妈给我过来! |
[41:29] | Make me look like I don’t know what my own men are doing | 手下插了一面跟我妈房子那么大的旗子 |
[41:31] | with a flag the size of my mother’s house? | 我这个当上司的竟然不知道? 这让我很难堪 知道吗? |
[41:33] | God damn it, Ira, you shouldn’t have lied to me. | 他妈的 艾拉 你不该对我撒谎的 |
[41:35] | You made me look like a complete asshole. | 你让我看起来像个彻底的白痴 |
[41:38] | We’re gonna miss you around here. Good luck. | 我们会想念你的 祝你好运 |
[41:47] | Now your name’s in the paper, too. | 现在你的名字也上报纸了 |
[41:54] | Just heard your doctor say we’re postponing your operation. | 刚刚听大夫说 我们要推迟你的手术 |
[41:57] | You’re being shipped back to the mainland. | 你将会被送回本土 |
[41:59] | Everybody who saw that picture thought planting the flag meant victory. | 见过那张照片的人 都会认为插上那面旗子就意味着胜利 |
[42:04] | That’s all they wanted to know. Victory. | 胜利 他们想知道的无非就是这个 |
[42:08] | Within a few weeks of that picture being taken, half the men in it were dead. | 那张照片照了没多久 上面的人就死了一半 |
[42:12] | Mrs. Hansen! Mrs. Hansen! Did you know Hank was a hero? | 汉森夫人! 汉森夫人! 你知道汉克成了英雄吗? |
[42:16] | -Are you proud of him, Mrs. Hansen? -What was he like as a boy? | -你为他感到骄傲吗 汉森夫人? -他在童年时怎么样? |
[42:18] | Look this way, please, ma’am. | 请看这边 夫人 |
[42:20] | What do you have to say about your son? | 关于你的儿子 你想说些什么? |
[42:23] | But somehow being a part of it meant something. | 但是不管怎么样 你身在其中总是有意义的 |
[42:27] | Looking at it, you could believe their sacrifice was not a waste. | 看看这个 你会相信他们不是白白牺牲的 |
[42:36] | Yeah, I might have thought that was Harlon, too. | 嗯 我可能也会认为那是哈龙 |
[42:39] | It is. | 就是他 |
[42:42] | Belle, their names are right here. It’s not him. | 蓓尔 他们的名字都列出来了 里面没有他 |
[42:47] | And he would be alive and sitting right here if it wasn’t for you. | 要不是因为你 他应该还活着 和我们一起坐在这里 |
[42:52] | You think about that when you look at his picture, Ed. | 你看他照片的时候 好好想想吧 艾德 |
[44:03] | And I need to rush home and change | 我需要马上回家换身衣服 |
[44:05] | because there’s the Governor’s banquet and then there’s the parade. | 因为马上有个州长的宴会 然后还有游行 |
[44:09] | Imagine, the Governor is coming here to meet us. | 想象一下 州长会来见我们 |
[44:13] | Now, I’m wearing blue so, if… | 我打算穿蓝色的 如果… |
[44:15] | -Are you going to change? -We interrupt this program to bring you | -你准备换衣服吗? -很抱歉 我们要中断这个节目… |
[44:17] | a special news bulletin from CBS World News. | 插播一则最新的CBS世界新闻特别报道 |
[44:18] | A press association has just announced that President Roosevelt is dead. | 一个记者招待会刚刚宣布 罗斯福总统去世的消息 |
[44:23] | The President died of a cerebral hemorrhage. | 总统死于脑溢血 |
[44:25] | All we know so far is that the President died at Warm Springs in Georgia. | 目前据我们得到消息 总统是在佐治亚州的温泉市去世的 |
[44:31] | Further updates every hour. | 我们将每小时报道一次最新消息 |
[44:33] | Temperatures will remain the same today, | 今天气温没有明显变化 |
[44:36] | in the mid-30s to low 40s with clear skies. | 天气晴朗 气温在35度到40度左右 |
[44:39] | Hello? | 喂? |
[44:41] | Yes. Of course. | 是的 当然 |
[44:43] | No, we understand. It wouldn’t be right. | 不 我们明白 确实不适宜 |
[44:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[44:54] | Here he is, gentlemen. Senator Boyd, Senator Robson. | 他来了 先生们 这是参议员博伊德和罗伯逊 |
[44:57] | Senator Haddigan. I’d like you to meet Private First Class Ira Hayes. | 还有参议员哈迪根 这就是一等兵艾拉·海耶斯 |
[45:01] | Damn good to meet you. | 真高兴见到你 |
[45:03] | Proud to make your acquaintance, son. | 很荣幸认识你 |
[45:10] | Sorry? | 对不起? |
[45:13] | That’s Pima Indian talk, boy, don’t you know your own language? | 这是皮玛印第安话 你听不懂家乡话? |
[45:16] | Took forever to memorize the damn gibberish. | 我可花了好长时间才记住这些土话 |
[45:19] | Sorry, I’ve been away from the reservation too long, Senator. | 对不起 参议员 我离开印第安保留区太久了 |
[45:28] | -Doc. -Ira. | -大夫 -艾拉 |
[45:29] | And now, the heroes of lwo Jima! | 接下来是硫磺岛的英雄们出场了! |
[45:32] | -That’s you. -Go, go, go, go. Go. | -轮到你们出场了 -快去 快去 |
[45:36] | Please welcome | 让我们热烈欢迎… |
[45:38] | Navy Corpsman John “Doc” Bradley, | 海军看护兵 绰号”大夫”的 约翰·布莱德利 |
[45:43] | Private First Class Ira Hayes, | 一等兵艾拉·海耶斯 |
[45:48] | Private First Class Rene Gagnon! | 一等兵雷尼·盖格南! |
[46:21] | Holy shit. | 我的妈呀 |
[46:25] | Come in, come in, come in. Bud Gurber, Treasury Department. | 请进 请进 我是财政部的巴德·戈伯 |
[46:28] | -Rene Gagnon. -Bud Gurber. | -雷尼·盖格南 -巴德·戈伯 |
[46:30] | -You showing the boys the sights? -We saw a hell of a ball game. | -带他们到周围参观了吗? -我们看了一场精彩的球赛 |
[46:32] | That’s great. The bar’s there, help yourself. | 不错 酒吧在那边 请自己倒 |
[46:35] | I got some briefing sheets for you here, | 我这里有些演说提纲 |
[46:37] | just some simple things we want you to say. | 仅仅是一些我们想要你们说的话 |
[46:39] | Mostly, “Buy bonds,” can’t say that too often. | 最多的就是”买债券” 但也不能说得太频繁 |
[46:42] | Itineraries, those are changing every couple minutes. | 这是行程安排 但可能过一阵就变一次 |
[46:44] | Everybody wants to meet you guys. | 大家都想亲眼看看你们这些英雄 |
[46:47] | I got women sending up envelopes with stockings in them, | 女人们甚至把长筒袜 塞在信封里寄给你们 |
[46:50] | notes written in lipstick. We won’t mention that to the press, am I right? | 还有用口红写的便条 当然我们不会对媒体提这些 对吧? |
[46:54] | Have a drink, for Christ’s sake. | 畅饮吧 看在上帝份上 |
[46:56] | My God, what you boys must have seen over there. | 我的天 你们在那边看到的东西 |
[46:59] | I’ve been watching the newsreels. | 我在新闻短片里也都看到了 |
[47:01] | Jesus Christ, that was a fight and a half. | 上帝啊 除了打仗还是打仗 |
[47:04] | So, we got a hell of a lot of money to raise, not a lot of time. | 所以我们要筹很多钱 但是时间却不多 |
[47:08] | White House tomorrow, then we trot you over | 明天先去白宫 然后就要四处转 |
[47:10] | to shake hands with a couple of hundred Congressmen | 跟几百位国会议员握手 |
[47:12] | who won’t pull a penny out of their pockets. | 他们不会从自己的钱包里掏一分钱 |
[47:14] | Politicians and actors. | 这些政治家演戏的本领强得很… |
[47:15] | You put them in a restaurant together, | 如果你把他们聚到一家餐厅里 |
[47:16] | they’d die of old age before picking up the check. | 他们等到老死都不会付账 |
[47:18] | Then New York City, Times Square, | …然后是纽约的时代广场 |
[47:21] | dinners with various hoi polloi, then Chicago… | 和各色各样的老百姓聚餐 接着是芝加哥… |
[47:24] | Who are these “Gold Star Mothers”? | 这些”金星妈妈”是谁? |
[47:26] | That’s what we’re calling the mothers of the dead flag-raisers. | 是那些牺牲的旗手们的母亲 |
[47:29] | You present each mother with a flag, | 你们给每位母亲一面旗帜 |
[47:31] | they say a few words, people will shit money. | 再让她们说点话 然后人们就能挤出钱来 |
[47:34] | It’ll be so moving. | 那将是非常令人感动的 |
[47:36] | But this says Hank Hansen’s mom. | 但是这上面写的是汉克·汉森的母亲 |
[47:38] | Lovely woman. She knows how close you and her son were. | 好女人 她知道你和她儿子有多亲近 |
[47:41] | He wrote home about you. | 他在家信里提到过你 |
[47:42] | She is very, very much looking forward to meeting you. | 她非常非常地盼望见到你 |
[47:45] | Hank wasn’t in the picture. | 照片上没有汉克 |
[47:48] | Sorry? | 你说什么? |
[47:50] | Hank didn’t raise that flag. | 汉克没有去插那面旗 |
[47:53] | He raised the other one, the real flag. | 他插的是另一面 真的旗子 |
[47:55] | The what? The real… The real flag? There’s a real flag? | 什么? 真的… 真的旗子? 还有一面真的旗子? |
[47:59] | Yeah, ours was the replacement flag. | 是的 我们插的是替代品 |
[48:00] | We put it up when they took the other one down. | 他们把另一面拿下来时 我们就把它插上去了 |
[48:03] | Am I the only one getting a headache here? You know about this? | 这里我是不是唯一感到头痛的? 你知道这件事吗? |
[48:06] | It was after it was already in the papers. | 刊登在报纸上之后才知道的 |
[48:08] | The mothers had already been told, but… | 那些母亲们已经被告知了 但是… |
[48:09] | That’s it, that’s beautiful. Yeah, that’s beautiful. | 够了 做得好 做得真好 |
[48:12] | Yeah, why tell me? | 为什么告诉我? |
[48:14] | I’m only the guy that has to explain it to 150 million Americans. | 只有我能向1.5亿美国同胞解释真相? |
[48:16] | Who is in the goddamn picture? | 到底谁在那张该死的照片上? |
[48:18] | Are any of you guys in the goddamn picture? | 你们都在那张该死的照片上? |
[48:20] | Yeah, we’re in the goddamn picture. | 对 我们都在那张该死的照片上 |
[48:22] | Six guys raising a flag over lwo Jima. Victory is ours. | 六个人在硫磺岛插了一面旗 胜利是属于我们的 |
[48:25] | You’re three of them, right? | 你们是其中的三个 对吧? |
[48:27] | This was the fifth day, sir. The battle went on for 35 more. | 这只是第5天发生的事 先生 战斗持续了35天以上 |
[48:30] | Well, what’d you do, raise a goddamn flag every time you stopped for lunch? | 你们是干什么的? 每次停下来吃饭时 升一面该死的旗? |
[48:33] | Can I hit this guy? | 我能教训一下这个家伙吗? |
[48:35] | You know what, I don’t give a shit, you’re in the picture, | 知道吗? 我根本不在乎 你们在照片上 |
[48:37] | you raised the flag, that’s the story we’re selling, boys. | 你们升了那面旗子 这就是我们要讲给所有人听的故事 |
[48:40] | Are you deaf? Hank isn’t in the picture. Harlon is in the picture. | 你聋了吗? 照片上的不是汉克 是哈龙 |
[48:44] | Well, who the fuck is Harlon? | 好吧 那他妈到底谁是哈龙? |
[48:46] | Harlon Block. That’s whose mother should be here if anyone’s should be. | 哈龙·布洛克 如果我们能来这里 他母亲也应该来 |
[48:50] | You know, I think this whole damn thing is a farce, you ask me. | 如果你让我说的话 整件事就是一场该死的滑稽戏 |
[49:14] | You know what they’re calling this bond drive? The Mighty Seventh. | 知道他们管这次筹款活动 叫什么吗 叫”伟大的第七次” |
[49:16] | They might’ve called it the | 他们或许应该称它为… |
[49:17] | “We’re Flat Fucking Broke And Can’t Even Afford Bullets | “我们他妈的一穷二白了 甚至连子弹都买不起…” |
[49:19] | “So We’re Begging For Your Pennies” bond drive, | “所以我们需要你们的施舍” |
[49:21] | but it didn’t have quite the ring. They could’ve called it that, though, | 但是它没那么响亮… 虽然他们可以这么叫 |
[49:24] | because the last four bond drives came up so short | 因为前四次的筹款成绩太差了 |
[49:26] | we just printed money instead. | 我们只好加印钞票来应付 |
[49:28] | Ask any smart boy on Wall Street, he’ll tell you | 但你在华尔街随便问个聪明的家伙 他都会告诉你… |
[49:30] | our dollar is next to worthless, we borrowed so much. | 我们的美元快成白纸了 我们已经借了太多钱 |
[49:33] | And nobody is lending any more. Ships aren’t being built. | 没有人再会借给我们 军舰造不了 坦克造不了 |
[49:36] | Tanks aren’t being built. Machine guns, bazookas, hand grenades, zip. | 机关枪 火箭炮 手榴弹也是 甚至连拉链也不例外 |
[49:40] | You think this is a farce? You want to go back to your buddies? | 现在你还认为这是场滑稽戏 想回去和他们并肩作战? |
[49:43] | Well, stuff some rocks in your pockets before you get on the plane | 好 不过在上飞机前 要往口袋里面塞一些石头 |
[49:46] | because that’s all we got left to throw at the Japanese. | 因为我们只能指望着 用这些扔日本鬼子了 |
[49:48] | And don’t be surprised if your plane doesn’t make it off the runway | 而且如果你们的飞机飞不出跑道 也不要大惊小怪 |
[49:51] | because the fuel dumps are empty. | 因为油箱是空的 |
[49:53] | And our good friends, the Arabs, are only taking bullion. | 我们的好朋友 阿拉伯人 只收金条 |
[49:55] | If we don’t raise $14 billion, | 如果我们筹不到140亿美元的话 |
[49:58] | and that’s million with a “B,” this war is over by the end of the month. | 注意是140亿不是140万 那么这场战争就会在月底结束 |
[50:02] | We make a deal with the Japanese, we give whatever they want | 到时我们会和日本达成协议 他们要什么 我们都会给 |
[50:04] | and we come home, because you’ve seen them fight, | 我们回家 因为你们会看到他们还在奋斗 |
[50:06] | and they sure as shit ain’t giving up. | 他们拼死抵抗到最后 |
[50:09] | $14 billion. | 140亿 |
[50:10] | The last three drives didn’t make that much all together. | 前三次加起来也没有筹到这么多 |
[50:16] | People on the street corners, | 街上的行人们… |
[50:17] | they looked at this picture and they took hope. | 当他们看到了这张照片 他们就看到了希望 |
[50:21] | Don’t ask me why, I think it’s a crappy picture myself. | 别问我为什么 我个人觉得那只是一张蹩脚照片 |
[50:23] | You can’t even see your faces. | 在照片上甚至连你们的脸都看不清 |
[50:25] | But it said we can win this war, are winning this war, | 但是它告诉我们 这场战争能赢 或者说我们正在赢 |
[50:29] | we just need you to dig a little deeper. | 只需要你们再出一点力 |
[50:32] | They want to give us that money. | 他们就会给我们钱 |
[50:33] | No, they want to give it to you. | 不 他们想给的是你们 |
[50:35] | But you, you don’t want to ask for it. You don’t want to give them hope. | 但是你们 你们不想接受它 你们不想给他们带来希望 |
[50:38] | You want to explain about this person and that flag. | 你们只想解释照片上的人和那面旗子 |
[50:42] | Well, that’s your choice. | 好吧 这是你们的选择 |
[50:45] | Because if we admit we made a mistake, that’s all anybody’ll talk about | 因为如果你们承认我们犯了错误 那所有人都会谈论这个 |
[50:49] | and that will be that. | 到时肯定是另一番局面… |
[51:01] | Gentlemen. | 先生们 |
[51:04] | Mr. President, here they are. | 总统先生 他们来了 |
[51:06] | -Well, hello. Good to see you. -Mr. President. | -你们好 很高兴见到你们 -总统先生 |
[51:09] | Darn good to see you, boys. | 非常高兴见到你们 |
[51:10] | Heard you had a hell of a fight on your hands out there, hell of a fight. | 听说你们在那边的仗打得很艰苦 非常激烈 |
[51:13] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[51:14] | Ira, you’re off the Gila River Reservation in Arizona, am I right? | 艾拉 你是来自亚利桑那州的吉拉河保留区 对吧? |
[51:18] | Yes, Mr. President. | 是的 总统先生 |
[51:20] | Being an Indian, you are a truer American than any of us. | 作为一个印第安人 你是比我们更地道的美国人 |
[51:24] | Bet your people are proud to see you wear that uniform. | 你家乡的人们看到你穿这身军装 肯定以你为荣 |
[51:26] | Very proud, sir. | 他们十分引以为豪 先生 |
[51:28] | They should be. | 他们肯定会 |
[51:30] | Well, I want to thank you for coming all this way to Washington to help us out. | 谢谢你们能来华盛顿帮助我们解困 |
[51:33] | You fought for a mountain in the Pacific | 你们已经为了太平洋的一座小山奋斗过 |
[51:35] | now we need you to fight for a mountain of cash. | 现在我们需要你们 为了”金山”再奋斗一次 |
[51:38] | -And I don’t expect you’ll let us down. -No, sir. | -希望不会让我们失望 -不会的 先生 |
[51:41] | Good. Go get it. | 好 夺下它 |
[51:43] | That’s the end of this ceremony. | 欢迎仪式就先到这里 |
[51:45] | Let’s take a look at this famous photo over here, see if I can pick you out. | 让我们再来看这张著名照片 看看是否我能认出你们 |
[51:50] | My gosh. There you are. | 天 这个是你 |
[52:01] | Boys. Boys, this one’s on me. To those who can’t be with us. | 伙计们 这杯我请客 敬那些不能和我们一起来的兄弟 |
[52:06] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[52:10] | Excuse me, Mr. Gagnon. May we have your autograph? | 劳驾 盖格南先生 能给我签个名吗? |
[52:16] | I suppose. | 我想没问题 |
[52:18] | And your name is? | 你叫什么名字? |
[52:20] | I don’t know about you, but I get the impression | 我不知道你们怎么想 但我突然发现… |
[52:22] | I’m drinking with the wrong heroes. | 我找错英雄喝酒了 |
[52:24] | You’re such a hero. I feel honored to be in your presence. | 你真是一个英雄 能见到你真的很荣幸 |
[52:29] | That’s just not true. | 别这么想 |
[52:33] | That’s professional work. Here, to professionals. | 那确实需要专业技能 来 敬专业人才 |
[52:47] | Here they are. You’re the guys in the photograph, right? | 他们在这里 你们就是照片上的人 对吧? |
[52:50] | I heard you were on the train. | 我听说你们也在这列车上 |
[52:51] | Let me shake your hands, John Tennack. | 来握个手 我叫约翰·田纳克 |
[52:53] | John Bradley. | 约翰·布莱德利 |
[52:55] | These boys are with me, Harvard and Yale types, didn’t fight a lick. | 这些都是我的同伴 哈佛 耶鲁的读书人 连架都没打过 |
[52:58] | Pappies all rich sons-of-bitches. | 父亲都是狗娘养的有钱人 |
[53:00] | Boys, shake hands with some real war heroes. | 快跟这些真正的战斗英雄握下手 |
[53:02] | Excuse me for one moment. | 失陪一下 |
[53:04] | You can buy them a drink while you’re at it. | 你既然来了 就该给他们买酒 |
[53:06] | That’s right. Drinks for these men all the way around. | 没问题 一路上都要为这些英雄干杯 |
[53:09] | And you’re the other one, aren’t you? John Tennack, Tennack Homes. | 你是另外的一位吗? 约翰·田纳克 田纳克房地产公司 |
[53:12] | -Rene Gagnon. -Pleased to meet you. | -雷尼·盖格南 -很高兴见到你 |
[53:14] | Have a drink, come on. And here’s my card. | 来 喝一杯 这是我的名片 |
[53:17] | Listen to me, Rene, | 听我说 雷尼 |
[53:19] | when you get finished being famous you come see me | 等你出完名后 要记得来找我 |
[53:21] | because if you can sell bonds, you can sell homes. | 因为如果你能卖债券的话 你就肯定能卖房子 |
[53:24] | Now, they’re not gonna build homes anymore, they’re gonna deliver them. | 现在 他们不准备再建房子了 而是运房子 |
[53:28] | -You heard of prefab homes? -No, sir. | -你听说过活动房屋没有? -没有 先生 |
[53:30] | Well, you will. And you hang on to that card and you come see me, you hear? | 你会知道的 不要弄丢名片 记得来找我 明白吗 |
[53:34] | -All right? -Certainly will. | -好吗? -一定会的 |
[53:43] | All right. | 没事了 |
[53:53] | This sure takes it, huh, Doc? | 你确定应该这样下去 大夫? |
[53:57] | If Mike and the guys could see us. | 如果迈克和其他人看到我们这样 |
[54:01] | Yeah, they’d hardly believe it, would they? | 嗯 他们很难相信 不是吗? |
[54:06] | Harlon! | 哈龙! |
[54:10] | Franklin! | 富兰克林! |
[54:15] | Can you imagine Franklin | 你能想象… |
[54:19] | on this train | 富兰克林在这餐车里… |
[54:22] | eating at the dining car with all the silver? | 用银餐具享用晚餐? |
[54:31] | We shouldn’t be here, Doc. | 我们不应该在这里的 大夫 |
[55:09] | There’s gonna be a Hallelujah Day | 哈利路亚的好日子就要来临 |
[55:13] | When the boys have all come home to stay | 当所有战士都能回到温暖的家 |
[55:17] | And a million bands begin to play | 百万个乐队一起歌唱 |
[55:21] | We’ll be dancing the Victory Polka | 我们会跳胜利的波尔卡舞 |
[55:24] | And when we’ve lit the torch of liberty | 当我们点亮自由的火炬 |
[55:28] | In each blacked-out land across the sea | 穿越海洋照亮每处黑色的土地 |
[55:31] | Ira! Hey, Ira! We heard the picture was posed! | 艾拉! 嘿 艾拉! 我听说照片是摆拍的! |
[55:34] | What? | 什么? |
[55:35] | We heard you posed the picture! | 我听说你们是摆拍的! |
[55:38] | Hey, Doc! | 嘿 大夫! |
[55:47] | We’re bigger than life, Doc! | 比我们真人还大 大夫! |
[55:50] | And we’ll heave a mighty sigh | 我们会吐出一个有力的叹息 |
[55:51] | When each gal can kiss the boy she kissed goodbye | 当每个女孩都能再吻一次她吻别的男孩 |
[55:55] | And they’ll come marching down Fifth Avenue | 他们会手牵手穿过第五大街 |
[55:59] | The United Nations in review | 迎来举国欢庆的场面 |
[56:03] | When this lovely dream has all come true | 当这个美丽的梦想变为了现实 |
[56:07] | We’ll be dancing the Victory Polka | 我们会跳胜利的波尔卡舞 |
[56:18] | Good job. | 干得好 |
[56:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[56:29] | Thank you, girls! | 谢谢你们 姑娘们! |
[56:30] | And now, | 现在… |
[56:33] | here are the men you’ve been waiting to meet, | 你们一直想见的人已经来到了这里 |
[56:36] | the men in white. | 白色雕像的上的人 |
[56:38] | Right behind me here, the heroes of lwo Jima, | 现在就站在我后面 他们是硫磺岛的英雄们: |
[56:42] | Private First Class Rene Gagnon, | 一等兵雷尼·盖格南! |
[56:46] | Private First Class Ira Hayes, | 一等兵艾拉·海耶斯! |
[56:48] | and Navy Corpsman John “Doc” Bradley! | 和海军看护兵 绰号”大夫” 的约翰·布莱德利! |
[57:04] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[57:10] | It’s good of you people to come out tonight in support of the war effort. | 感谢大家今晚前来为战争的胜利 出一分力 |
[57:13] | We really need you to buy bonds, that’s for sure. | 可以肯定的是 我们真的需要你们购买债券 |
[57:16] | ‘Cause we can’t win the war without your help. | 因为没有你们的帮助 我们不可能打赢这场战争 |
[57:19] | As far as us being the heroes of lwo Jima, | 虽然到目前为止 我们一直被当作硫磺岛的英雄看待 |
[57:24] | that’s just not the case. | 但实际上不是那么回事 |
[57:26] | We really didn’t do much at all. | 我们真的没有做出什么贡献 |
[57:28] | Especially him. | 特别是他 |
[57:30] | Especially me. | 特别是我 |
[57:33] | I was just a runner. That’s it. | 我只是个传令兵 仅此而已 |
[57:36] | We put up a flag. | 我们树了一面旗子 |
[57:38] | The pole we attached it to was heavy, so it took a number of us. | 由于旗杆很重 所以需要我们几个人一起努力 |
[57:42] | We had our picture taken doing it. | 这个镜头恰好被拍了下来 |
[57:46] | The real heroes are dead on that island. | 但真正的英雄是 那些在岛上牺牲的战士们 |
[57:50] | And we’d appreciate it if you bought bonds in honor of them. Thank you. | 如果你们能买债券来慰藉英灵 我们会很感激 谢谢 |
[58:11] | Jump on any grenades, Ira? | 艾拉 你用身体扑过手榴弹吗? |
[58:13] | Take out any machine gun nests I missed? | 摧毁过我错过的机枪掩体吗? |
[58:17] | At least I fired my weapon. | 至少我开过枪 |
[58:19] | All right, knock it off. | 行了 别吵了 |
[58:21] | You hit anything or were you too drunk then, too? | 你打中过任何东西吗? 还是因为你喝得太多了? |
[58:23] | What? | 你说什么? |
[58:24] | Guys! Come on! | 大家 别这样! |
[58:27] | Stop it. Knock it off. | 停下 别吵了 |
[58:49] | The tall man with the high hat will be coming down your way | 戴着高帽子的巨人会来到你们身边 |
[58:54] | Get your savings out when you hear him shout | 当你听到他的呼喊后 你要把自己的积蓄拿出来 |
[58:57] | “Any bonds today?” | 今天还有没有债券? |
[58:59] | Any bonds today? | 今天还有没有债券? |
[59:02] | Bonds of freedom that’s what I’m selling | 我正在卖的就是象征自由的债券 |
[59:05] | Any bonds today? | 今天还有没有债券? |
[59:06] | Rene, right here. Sit between these two boys. | 雷尼 坐这里 你坐中间 |
[59:10] | Here comes the freedom man | 自由的人们已经来到 |
[59:13] | Asking you to buy a share of freedom today | 今天让你们也来购买自由 |
[59:21] | …for us and they need our help. | …为了我们 他们需要我们的帮助 |
[59:24] | And, if you think about it, I think you’ll realize | 如果你认真想过的话 我认为你会意识到… |
[59:28] | that buying more bonds is not just the right thing to do | 买更多的债券不仅仅是正确的行为 |
[59:33] | but the only thing to do. | 而且是我们唯一能作的贡献 |
[59:37] | Yes, this war has gone on too long. | 没错 这场战争持续了太长时间 |
[59:41] | We have given too many lives. And its cost… | 太多的人为此牺牲了 这个代价… |
[59:45] | -Chocolate or strawberry, sir? -Strawberry. | -巧克力酱还是草莓酱 先生? -草莓酱 |
[59:47] | …has been far too high. | …对我们来说太高了 |
[59:50] | But if we waver now, | 但是如果我们现在动摇的话 |
[59:52] | if we don’t dig deep and give more than we think we can | 如果我们不能坚持下去 不能作出更多贡献的话 |
[59:57] | then those sacrifices would be wasted… | 那么那些战士们就白白牺牲了 |
[1:00:00] | Chocolate or strawberry, sir? | 巧克力酱还是草莓酱 先生? |
[1:00:01] | …and those lives lost in vain. | …那些生命就没有意义了 |
[1:01:43] | Let’s move! Go, go! | 冲! 快! 快! |
[1:02:07] | Easy Six, this is Easy Two, over. Where the hell are our tanks? | E6 这是E2 完毕 我们的坦克到底在哪? |
[1:02:10] | Stuck in the sand. Captain says you’re to go without them. | 陷进沙里了 上尉说你们要自己冲了 |
[1:02:13] | Christ. | 上帝 |
[1:02:15] | That’s real good work you’re doing there, Rene. | 你这差事真不赖 雷尼 |
[1:02:19] | All right, prepare to move out. Pass the word. | 好 准备冲出去 传达命令 |
[1:02:22] | Second Platoon! Move! Move! Move! | 二排! 冲! 冲! 冲! |
[1:02:24] | All right, Second Platoon, on your feet! Let’s move out! | 二排 注意! 我们冲出去! |
[1:02:28] | Jackass. | 蠢蛋 |
[1:02:29] | Let’s move out! | 我们冲出去! |
[1:02:33] | Go, go! Move, move, move! | 快 快! 冲 冲 冲! |
[1:02:38] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[1:02:52] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[1:02:55] | Second Platoon, move out! | 二排 冲出去! |
[1:03:02] | Doc! | 大夫! |
[1:03:05] | Doc, get out of there! | 大夫 离开那边! |
[1:03:15] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[1:03:18] | Doc! | 大夫! |
[1:03:27] | Doc, get the hell out of there! | 大夫 快离开那边! |
[1:03:36] | May I have your attention, please. | 请注意 |
[1:03:39] | Train number 48 with service from New York City, Boston, | 48次列车从纽约发车 途经波士顿 |
[1:03:44] | Rochester, New York, | 纽约州的罗切斯特市… |
[1:03:48] | Toledo, Ohio, and South Bend, Indiana is now arriving on Track 7. | 俄亥俄州的托莱多和印第安那州的本德 在7号站台进站 |
[1:03:53] | Train number 48 now arriving on Track number 7. | 48次列车在7号站台进站 |
[1:03:57] | Okay, let’s go. Let’s go. | 好了 我们走 我们走 |
[1:04:02] | -Come on, boys. -Let’s go. | -快点 -我们走 |
[1:04:05] | -Watch your step, ma’am. -Thank you very much. | -小心脚下 -非常感谢 |
[1:04:28] | Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the heroes of lwo Jima. | 女士们 先生们 请让我介绍硫磺岛的英雄们 |
[1:04:34] | Navy Corpsman John “Doc” Bradley. | 海军看护兵 绰号”大夫” 的约翰·布莱德利! |
[1:04:39] | Private First Class Ira Hayes. | 一等兵艾拉·海耶斯 |
[1:04:43] | And Private First Class Rene Gagnon. | 和一等兵雷尼·盖格南 |
[1:04:47] | Rene! That’s my boyfriend! | 雷尼! 那是我男朋友! |
[1:04:51] | Who the hell is that? | 那人是谁? |
[1:04:53] | I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[1:04:55] | -Rene, is that your girl? -Hey, what do they call you? | -雷尼 那是你的妞? -嘿 你叫什么? |
[1:04:57] | How about a photo? Hey, look at that! | 来照张相怎样? 嘿 瞧啊! |
[1:05:02] | What’s your name, doll? What’s your name? | 美女 你叫什么名字? 你叫什么 |
[1:05:04] | Hey, she’s a beauty. | 她真是个美人 |
[1:05:13] | Let’s go find a saloon. | 咱们去找间酒吧 |
[1:05:25] | Smile, boys. Give them their money’s worth. | 笑一个 小伙子们 让他们知道自己的钱没白花 |
[1:05:29] | Hey, Doc, how’s the tour going for you? | “大夫” 你觉得 这次巡回演讲怎么样? |
[1:05:34] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:05:35] | Where exactly are you staying? | 你住哪儿? |
[1:05:36] | -I’m not sure yet. -Just forget about that. | -我还没决定 -那就别操心了 |
[1:05:51] | Senator, I’d like you to meet Corpsman John Bradley. | 参议员 我介绍你认识 看护兵约翰·布莱德利 |
[1:05:53] | -Doc, right? -Yes, sir. Nice to meet you, Senator. | -“大夫” 对吧? -是的 很高兴认识你 参议员 |
[1:05:55] | Good to meet you, young man. | 很高兴认识你 年轻人 |
[1:05:57] | Now, we appreciate everything you’ve done and everything you’re doing. | 对你们做过的和正在做的一切 我们感激不尽 |
[1:06:00] | -Thank you, sir. -Quite all right. | -谢谢 先生 -不客气 |
[1:06:01] | This is Captain White. | 这是怀特上校 |
[1:06:04] | -Colonel Johns. -We’re proud of you, Corpsman. | -约翰斯上校 -我们为你骄傲 看护兵 |
[1:06:06] | And then Colonel McCourtney. | 还有麦考特尼上校 |
[1:06:08] | -Major General Green. -Nice to meet you. | -格林少将 -认识你很高兴 |
[1:06:13] | Senator, this is Private First Class Ira Hayes. | 参议员 这是一等兵艾拉·海耶斯 |
[1:06:16] | Of course! | 是他没错! |
[1:06:17] | Now I hear you used a tomahawk on those Japs. Is that true, Chief? | 听说你用印第安战斧砍那些日本鬼子 “酋长” 是真的吗? |
[1:06:21] | No, sir. | 不是 先生 |
[1:06:23] | Well, tell them you did, makes a better story, huh? | 哦 那就跟他们说是真的 把故事讲得更好听点 怎样? |
[1:06:27] | -Attaboy. -This is Captain Green. | -好小伙子 -这是格林上校 |
[1:06:31] | John? | 约翰? |
[1:06:33] | Madeline Evelley. I recognize you from all the photographs. I’m Hank’s mom. | 我是玛德琳 我看过照片 所以能认出你 我是汉克的妈妈 |
[1:06:38] | It’s so nice to meet you, ma’am. Hank was always talking about you. | 见到你真是太好了 夫人 汉克经常谈起你 |
[1:06:42] | This is PFC Rene Gagnon. | 这是一等兵雷尼·盖格南 |
[1:06:44] | Pleasure to meet you, son. Thanks for everything. | 幸会幸会 感谢你做的一切 |
[1:06:47] | -My pleasure. -Not at all. | -不用谢 -别客气 |
[1:06:49] | Ira, I’d like you to meet Mrs. Strank, Mike’s mom. | 艾拉 我让你见见斯特兰克太太 她是迈克的妈妈 |
[1:07:08] | It’s all right. | 好了 好了 |
[1:07:10] | When I got the telegram, I… | 接到电报的时候 我… |
[1:07:14] | I don’t know what I’m trying to say here. | 我不知道该说什么好 |
[1:07:18] | Knowing he was with you that day and seeing him in that photograph, | 当我听说那天他和你在一起 又在那张照片上看到了他 |
[1:07:24] | I don’t know why it makes me feel better, but it does. | 我就感觉好受点了 不知为什么 可我真的好受点了 |
[1:07:27] | -It’s so silly, isn’t it? -No, it’s not. | -这很傻 对吧? -不 不傻 |
[1:07:31] | How are you, son? Thank you very much. | 你好吗 小伙子? 非常感谢 |
[1:07:34] | We’re the largest furniture wholesaler in Illinois. | 我们是伊利诺伊州最大的家具批发商 |
[1:07:38] | Thank you. Excuse me. | 谢谢 失陪了 |
[1:07:40] | -I’ll make sure he calls. -Well, thank you. Thank you. | -我会让他打电话来的 -哦 谢谢 谢谢你 |
[1:07:45] | Are you Rene? | 你是雷尼? |
[1:07:47] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 太太 |
[1:07:53] | I’m Franklin’s mother. | 我是富兰克林的妈妈 |
[1:07:59] | It’s an honor to meet you, ma’am. | 认识你是我的荣幸 太太 |
[1:08:03] | I’m Pauline, Rene’s girlfriend. | 我是波琳 雷尼的女朋友 |
[1:08:07] | Would you mind? | 你不介意吧? |
[1:08:17] | Paper said that’s Hank, | 报纸上说那就是汉克 |
[1:08:20] | and I honestly can’t tell. | 可是说实话 我认不出来 |
[1:08:23] | It’s horrible of a mother not to know her own son, isn’t it? | 当妈的认不出自己儿子可真糟糕 你说是吧? |
[1:08:26] | But that’s him, isn’t it? | 可是那就是他 对吗? |
[1:08:30] | Well, to be honest, ma’am, it happened so quick, | 唔 说实话 事情发生得太快了 |
[1:08:33] | and with everything that was going on | 当时情况又很乱 |
[1:08:34] | it’s kind of hard to remember who was where. | 要记住哪些人在场有点难 |
[1:08:39] | But… | 不过… |
[1:08:43] | Yeah, I think… I think that’s where he was. | 没错 我想… 我想他当时就在那个位置 |
[1:08:45] | That’s Hank. | 那就是汉克 |
[1:08:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:08:49] | Excuse me. | 失陪了 |
[1:08:52] | I’m so sorry for your loss. | 对您的损失我很难过 |
[1:08:59] | Excuse us. | 失陪了 |
[1:09:15] | Take him outside. | 带他出去 |
[1:09:19] | I’m Pauline. | 我是波琳 |
[1:09:20] | -Very nice to meet you. -Hi, nice to meet you. | -很高兴认识你 -嗨 很高兴认识你 |
[1:09:25] | He was the best Marine I ever knew. | 在我认识的陆战队员里 他是最好的 |
[1:09:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:09:40] | -You okay, Chief? -Oh, Christ! | -你没事吧 酋长? -哦 天哪! |
[1:09:43] | I’m okay. | 我没事 |
[1:09:45] | Yeah, you look it. You’re gonna screw this up, aren’t you? | 对 我看你也没事 你是打算把这事搅黄 对吧? |
[1:09:48] | You’re gonna screw it up for all of us. | 你打算为我们大家把这事搅黄 |
[1:09:52] | I’ve got him. | 我扶他走 |
[1:09:53] | Get some sleep, Ira. | 去睡会儿吧 艾拉 |
[1:11:22] | -Mike? -Yeah? | -迈克? -嗯? |
[1:11:24] | -You see this? -What? | -你看见了吗? -什么? |
[1:11:25] | -Mike! -Oh, shit, go! | -迈克! -我操 冲啊! |
[1:11:34] | He’s killing me! | 他杀了我了! |
[1:12:16] | Hey, Doc, you think they got them all? | 大夫 你看他们 是不是把鬼子都干掉了? |
[1:12:17] | What? | 什么? |
[1:12:19] | Well, they’re not shooting at us. Maybe we killed them all. | 现在没人朝我们开火 说不定我们已经把他们杀光了 |
[1:12:22] | Or they ran off in the night or something. | 或者是他们趁晚上溜走了 |
[1:12:24] | Or they’re waiting for us to start climbing. | 也可能是在等我们往山上爬 |
[1:12:26] | Third Platoon! Grab your gear, we’re going up the hill. | 三排! 拿上装备 我们要上山了 |
[1:12:29] | -Just us? -Yeah, just us, lgg. | -就我们? -对 就我们 伊基 |
[1:12:31] | All right, Third Platoon, move! | 好了 三排 出发! |
[1:12:33] | I tag along? | 我跟在后面? |
[1:12:35] | Yeah, you can lead the way if you want. Get a good shot of my face. | 你愿意在前头开路也行 给我的脸好好照一张 |
[1:12:38] | It’s your ass I’m gonna make famous, Hank. | 我打算让你的屁股出名 汉克 |
[1:12:41] | Hey, that’ll work for me, too. | 嘿 那也不坏 |
[1:12:45] | Lieutenant, | 中尉 |
[1:12:47] | if you make it to the top, put this up. | 要是你们能上到山顶 就把这个树起来 |
[1:12:50] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[1:12:58] | Don’t worry, lggy. They never shoot at the first patrol. | 别担心 伊基 他们不会朝第一批出动的人开火 |
[1:13:01] | -They don’t? -No. | -他们不会? -不会 |
[1:13:03] | They want us to go up to the top, signal to the others that it’s okay, | 他们要等我们上到山顶 发信号让别人以为没危险了 |
[1:13:06] | then shoot everybody else as they come up the mountain. | 然后再扫光其他上山的人 |
[1:13:08] | -Really? -Yeah. | -真的? -真的 |
[1:13:10] | Unless of course they want to make an example of us | 除非他们就是想拿我们开刀 |
[1:13:12] | and discourage all the others. | 用来吓唬其他人 |
[1:13:14] | I think you’re full of crap, you know that, Hank? | 我看你是满嘴胡话 汉克 |
[1:13:17] | Really? | 真的? |
[1:13:19] | Jesus. | 天哪 |
[1:13:22] | Thank God that ain’t us. | 感谢上帝 没让我们去 |
[1:13:36] | Told you. | 我没说错吧 |
[1:13:40] | Boots, spread them out and put them on a line. | 布茨 让他们散开 组成防线 |
[1:13:42] | Set up a perimeter! First Squad! | 组成环形防线! 一班! |
[1:13:51] | -Hank? Find me a pole. -Yeah. | -汉克 给我找根旗杆来 -好的 |
[1:13:56] | Let’s put this flag up. | 咱们把这面旗树起来 |
[1:14:05] | Watch it. | 小心 |
[1:14:07] | Right over here. | 就在这里 |
[1:14:14] | Right here. That’s good. That’s good. Right here, right here. | 就在这里 好的 好的 就是这里 |
[1:14:16] | Got that end? Hold that steady. | 拿住那头 拿稳了 |
[1:14:20] | Lindberg. | 林德伯格 |
[1:14:23] | -Hey, who’s got rope? -Right here. | -喂 谁有绳子? -这儿有 |
[1:14:30] | Give me something. Yeah, good. | 给我点 好 |
[1:14:32] | That work? | 这样行了吧? |
[1:14:38] | Do it, fellas. | 来吧 伙计们 |
[1:14:41] | Keep it coming. | 把它插下去 |
[1:14:49] | USMC! USMC! | 美国海军陆战队万岁! |
[1:14:53] | Shit, look at that! | 我靠 瞧那儿! |
[1:15:29] | Jeez, look at that. | 好家伙 看啊 |
[1:15:39] | Get down! Take cover! | 卧倒! 注意隐蔽! |
[1:15:42] | Cover with that .30! | 用那挺.30机枪掩护! |
[1:15:43] | -Watch it! Twenty yards down, Hank! -You see them? | -注意! 下面二十码 汉克! -你看见他们了? |
[1:15:47] | -I got about 20 yards, left side. -Lindberg, get the flamethrower! | -大约20码 左边 -林德伯格 拿喷火器来! |
[1:15:52] | -Boots, you see them? -Cover right! | -布茨 你看见他们了? -火力掩护右翼! |
[1:15:55] | -About 20 yards down! Duck one! -You see them? | -在下面20码左右! 蹲着一个! -你看见他们了? |
[1:15:58] | Keep the cover on! | 继续火力掩护! |
[1:16:00] | Second Squad, you see them? | 二班 你们看见他们没有? |
[1:16:02] | Get me some grenades! | 给我几个手榴弹! |
[1:16:04] | I see them! | 我看见他们了! |
[1:16:17] | You see them? | 你看见他们了? |
[1:16:18] | Right flank, over to the right! | 在右翼 右边! |
[1:16:24] | Cover me, I’m going down! | 掩护我 我要下去了! |
[1:16:26] | Careful, lggy. | 当心 伊基 |
[1:16:27] | Easy. | 别急 |
[1:16:30] | All clear! | 都解决了! |
[1:16:40] | Okay, guys, who wants to be famous? | 好了 弟兄们 有谁想出名? |
[1:16:46] | Yes, sir. Right away, sir. | 是 长官 马上就去 |
[1:16:48] | -God damn it. Strank! -Sir? | -我操 斯特兰克! -长官你叫我? |
[1:16:50] | They want a phone line run up to the top of the mountain. | 他们要往山顶上拉根电话线 |
[1:16:53] | Let me guess, they picked us. | 让我猜猜 他们挑中了我们 |
[1:16:55] | Second Platoon, let’s go. Get some exercise. | 二排 咱们走 去活动活动 |
[1:17:03] | Let’s go! Get off your ass. | 走吧! 都给我动起来 |
[1:17:10] | Oh, shit! | 哦 妈的! |
[1:17:12] | Hope it still works, ’cause you’re not getting mine! | 希望它还能用 我可不会把我的借给你! |
[1:17:16] | -Get Forrestal! -All right, then. | -快给福雷斯特尔*拍照! -好吧 (* 美国海军部部长) |
[1:17:22] | I don’t know whose idea it was, Mr. Secretary. | 我不知道那是谁的点子 部长先生 |
[1:17:24] | Well, it was goddamn brilliant. I want that flag, Holland. | 真他妈的聪明 我要那面旗 霍兰 (霍兰·史密斯 第五两栖军军长 硫磺岛地面战的总指挥) |
[1:17:29] | Mark my words, raising that son-of-a-bitch | 记住我的话吧: 树起那个宝贝 |
[1:17:31] | means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years. | 就意味着海军陆战队今后五百年的荣耀 |
[1:17:35] | I want that flag. | 我要那面旗 |
[1:17:38] | Yes, sir. I’ll make sure no one touches it. | 是 长官 我保证没人能碰它 |
[1:17:41] | You can count on me. | 您就放心吧 |
[1:17:44] | Fuck that. That flag belongs to the men in this battalion. | 操他妈的 那面旗是咱们营的 |
[1:17:47] | That son-of-a-bitch thinks that our men died taking this ground | 那狗娘养的以为 咱们拼死拼活打下这块地方 |
[1:17:50] | so we could hand over our flag to some politician to pin to his wall? | 就是为了把咱们的旗子 送给哪个政客当装饰品? |
[1:17:53] | He’s out of his goddamn mind! | 他脑子进水了! |
[1:17:56] | Get me that flag, and find another one to replace it. | 把那面旗弄下来 再找一面换上去 |
[1:17:59] | You’ve gotta be shitting me. | 你准是在拿我开心 |
[1:18:01] | Gagnon! | 盖格南! |
[1:18:04] | Get your ass over here. | 你给我过来 |
[1:18:11] | Hey. Hi, fellas. How’s it going? | 嗨 伙计们 还好吗? |
[1:18:18] | Missed a beautiful shot, Joe. | 你可错过好照片了 乔 |
[1:18:21] | It’s that kind of day. | 今天不吉利 |
[1:18:44] | -Hey, Mike. -Hell of a view, Lieutenant. | -嘿 迈克 -这风景可真够意思 中尉 |
[1:18:47] | Lieutenant! | 中尉! |
[1:18:55] | Captain says he wants that flag. | 上尉说他要那面旗 |
[1:18:58] | He wants this flag? | 他要这面旗? |
[1:19:00] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[1:19:02] | -We just put the damn thing up. -Yes, sir. | -我们刚把这玩意树起来 -是的 长官 |
[1:19:06] | Some kind of flag shortage? | 他的旗子不够用了? |
[1:19:08] | He wants you to put this one up instead. | 他要你用这面旗把它换下来 |
[1:19:17] | Hey, Mike. | 喂 迈克 |
[1:19:20] | Do me a favor and put this up, will you? | 帮我个忙 把它树起来 好吗? |
[1:19:22] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[1:19:23] | All right, let’s find a pole. | 好吧 咱们找根旗杆 |
[1:19:28] | Take the flag down, boys. | 把旗子拿下来 |
[1:19:31] | Captain’s orders. | 上尉的命令 |
[1:19:34] | You heard him, let’s do it. | 你们都听见了 动手吧 |
[1:19:38] | There you go. | 起 |
[1:19:40] | Lordy, she’s a heavy one. | 老天 这家伙可真沉 |
[1:19:46] | All right, hang on. Put this on. | 先停一停 把这个绑上去 |
[1:19:55] | One hell of a view, huh? | 这风景够意思吧? |
[1:19:56] | Good view from up here. Yes, I’d say so myself. | 对 我也觉得这儿角度不错 |
[1:20:08] | All right. | 好 |
[1:20:13] | -Not in your way here, am I, Joe? -Nah, I’m fine, thanks. | -我在这儿不妨碍你吧 乔? -不妨碍 谢谢 |
[1:20:16] | Hey, Doc, you wanna give us a hand here? | 喂 大夫 帮个忙吧? |
[1:20:23] | Oh, Jesus, Bill, here she goes. | 哦 比尔 要树起来了 |
[1:20:26] | Ready? Ready? | 预备? 预备? |
[1:20:27] | Let’s go. | 来吧 |
[1:20:31] | You get it? | 你拍到了吗? |
[1:20:36] | I don’t know. I wish I could’ve seen their faces. | 不知道 能拍到他们的脸就好了 |
[1:20:42] | Nobody even noticed that second flag going up. | 第二面旗树起来的时候 甚至没人注意到 |
[1:20:47] | Everybody saw that damn picture and made up their own story about it. | 大家都是看了那该死的照片 然后自己编了故事 |
[1:20:52] | But your dad and the others knew what they had done | 可是你爸爸和其他几个人都知道 哪些事他们做过 |
[1:20:55] | and what they had not done. | 哪些事没有做 |
[1:20:59] | All your friends dying, | 朋友们一个个死去 |
[1:21:01] | it’s hard not to be called a hero for saving somebody’s life. | 靠救人成为英雄无可厚非 |
[1:21:06] | But for putting up a pole? | 可是靠插根旗杆当英雄是怎么回事? |
[1:21:13] | You gotta be kidding. | 你准是在开玩笑 |
[1:21:15] | Hey! It took a lot of talented folks a long time to make that thing. | 这可是一大帮能工巧匠 费了好大功夫才做出来的 |
[1:21:20] | Just wait till tonight when it’s lit properly | 只要等到今晚 用灯光这么一照 |
[1:21:22] | and there’s thousands of cheering people in the stands. | 再让几万人在看台上这么一喊 |
[1:21:24] | It’s gonna look a lot better. | 那就会美多了 |
[1:21:25] | So, stadium lights come down, | 运动场的灯从上往下照 |
[1:21:27] | spotlight comes up and you get your cue. | 聚光灯从下往上照 你们就拿着旗杆 |
[1:21:29] | You charge up this thing with the flag, you plant it at the top. | 你们带着旗子冲上这假山 然后把它插在顶上 |
[1:21:32] | You smile, you wave. You know the drill. | 你们微笑 挥手 你们都知道该怎么做 |
[1:21:34] | You want us to plant the flag on a pile of papier-mueh? | 你要我们在一堆纸板上插旗 |
[1:21:38] | Hey, that’s show biz. | 嘿 那是表演 |
[1:21:41] | And try and stand how you stood the first time you planted it. | 你们要按当初插旗时候的位置站 |
[1:21:43] | Just, you know, pretend the other three guys are with you. | 就当那三个人也和你们在一起 |
[1:21:46] | The dead guys. | 死掉的人 |
[1:21:49] | Yeah. Yeah. | 对 对 |
[1:21:53] | Okay, not a problem. | 好吧 没问题 |
[1:21:55] | Good. | 很好 |
[1:21:57] | But where do we imagine Hank is standing? | 可是我们该怎么想象汉克站的位置? |
[1:21:59] | Sorry? | 什么意思? |
[1:22:01] | Well, seeing that he wasn’t there, | 既然我们知道他不在场 |
[1:22:02] | it’ll be kind of hard for us to leave a space for him. | 要让我们给他留个位置就有点困难 |
[1:22:06] | I think you know exactly where he was. You pointed him out to his mother. | 我想你知道他在什么位置 你指给他妈妈看过 |
[1:22:13] | This is bullshit. | 这是狗屁 |
[1:22:16] | I planted that damn thing once, and I’m not doing it again. | 我已经插过一回那玩意 不想再插第二回了 |
[1:22:22] | -Hayes! -Oh, for Christ’s sake. | -海耶斯! -哦 看在基督份上 |
[1:22:24] | Hayes. Hayes, get your ass back here or you’re going on report. | 海耶斯 海耶斯你给我回来 要不然我就向上面告你 |
[1:22:28] | Hayes! | 海耶斯! |
[1:22:31] | You wanna do your damn job? | 你到底想不想干活? |
[1:22:37] | Let go of me! Let go of me! | 放开我! 放开我! |
[1:22:41] | Come on! | 快放开! |
[1:22:46] | He’s with me! | 我们是一起的! |
[1:22:48] | Hey, he’s with me! | 我们是一起的! |
[1:22:51] | -Back off! -Sir, he’s with me. Okay? He’s with me. | -别过来! -警官 我们是一起的 |
[1:22:53] | Ira, put the goddamn chair down! | 艾拉 快把椅子放下! |
[1:22:56] | -Put the chair down, son! -Put the chair down, Ira! | -把椅子放下 小伙子! -把椅子放下 艾拉! |
[1:22:58] | Tell them drop their sticks! | 叫他们先把棍子扔了! |
[1:23:01] | Ira, they’re cops, they’re supposed to have nightsticks. | 艾拉 他们是警察 当然可以拿警棍 |
[1:23:04] | You’re not supposed to be in the street swinging a chair. | 你在街上抡椅子就不对了 |
[1:23:06] | -Calm down, son. -Sir, turn around, please. | -冷静点 小伙子 -警官 请你朝后边看 |
[1:23:09] | That poster right there? The one on the end, that’s him. | 看见那张海报没? 最左边的人 就是他 |
[1:23:11] | -That’s him? -Yes, sir. You read the papers? | -那是他? -是的 警官 你看报吗? |
[1:23:14] | Christ. | 老天 |
[1:23:16] | We got another fucking hero. Get him out of here. | 又是一个他妈的英雄 你带他走吧 |
[1:23:18] | -Can you do that? -Yes, sir. | -你能办到吗? -可以 |
[1:23:21] | Put the goddamn chair down. And let’s go. | 快把椅子放下 咱们走 |
[1:23:32] | Did you start this? | 是你挑起来的吗? |
[1:23:35] | He didn’t serve me! | 他不肯接待我! |
[1:23:37] | I don’t make the rules. We don’t serve Indians. | 规矩不是我订的 我们店不接待印第安人 |
[1:23:45] | He needs to go sleep it off. | 他该去睡一觉 把这事忘掉 |
[1:23:58] | Soldier Field. | 去军人广场 |
[1:24:05] | You hear that? | 你听见吗? |
[1:24:06] | What the hell is that? | 到底是什么声音? |
[1:24:08] | I can’t figure it out. | 我想不出 |
[1:24:10] | Keep an eye out. | 注意找找 |
[1:24:12] | It sounds like it’s coming from up there. | 好像是从上面传来的 |
[1:25:24] | They’re using grenades. | 是手榴弹的声音 |
[1:25:27] | They’re killing themselves. | 他们自杀了 |
[1:25:37] | Ira, let’s go. | 艾拉 咱们走 |
[1:25:40] | Come on. | 快点 |
[1:25:45] | Let’s go, Ira. Come on. | 咱们走 艾拉 快点 |
[1:26:09] | Thank God. Jesus. Look at you, Chief. | 感谢上帝 瞧你那样 酋长 |
[1:26:15] | You found him. | 你找到他了 |
[1:26:17] | Holy shit. You would have to pick today. | 见鬼 你准是故意挑在今天捣乱 |
[1:26:20] | Vandegrift is here with enough brass to start a fucking band. | 范德格里夫特来了 还带着一群大官 多得可以开铺子了 (范德格里夫特: 海军陆战队总司令) |
[1:26:23] | Come on, let’s go. Can you walk? | 快点 咱们走 你能走路吗? |
[1:26:26] | -Yes, sir. -By yourself? | -是的 长官 -你一个人能行? |
[1:26:28] | All right, look. I don’t care if you have to carry him | 好吧 你们把他抬过去也行 |
[1:26:30] | get him to the top, plant that flag, and don’t fucking fall off. | 只要让他上去 插好旗 别摔下来就行 |
[1:26:34] | Get him in his stuff. I’ll stall these guys for as long as I can. Hurry up. | 给他换好衣服 我会尽量拖住 那些人的 快去 |
[1:26:39] | Jesus Christ. | 上帝啊 |
[1:26:40] | And now, the heroes of lwo Jima! | 现在 让我们欢迎硫磺岛的英雄们! |
[1:26:49] | Cover! | 隐蔽! |
[1:26:54] | Harlon! | 哈龙! |
[1:26:59] | Harlon! Get your fire team up in that position! | 哈龙! 带火力组抢占那个位置! |
[1:27:02] | O’Hare! | 奥海尔! |
[1:27:04] | First Fire Team! | 第一火力组! |
[1:27:07] | Work around! | 绕过去! |
[1:27:09] | BAR, you, on the side of the ridge! | 你 自动步枪手 去山脊那边! |
[1:27:16] | Covering fire, boys, go, go, go! | 火力掩护 弟兄们 打 打! |
[1:27:18] | Jackson, work your team around to the left! | 杰克逊 让你的小组绕到左边去! |
[1:27:21] | Cover! | 掩护! |
[1:27:31] | Left flank! Left flank! | 左翼! 左翼! |
[1:27:38] | Franklin, Gust, go check it out! | 富兰克林 戈斯特 去看看! |
[1:27:44] | Hustle up, boys! | 冲上去 弟兄们! |
[1:27:51] | We got them! | 干掉他们了! |
[1:27:53] | Clear! | 解决了! |
[1:28:11] | One hell of an experience. | 真是糟透了 |
[1:28:20] | Move out! | 前进! |
[1:28:27] | Cease fire! They’re my men! You’re targeting our men! | 停止射击! 那是我的兵! 你们在打自己人! |
[1:28:35] | You’re targeting our… | 你们在打自己… |
[1:28:39] | Get me another radio! | 再拿个步话机来! |
[1:28:45] | Sergeant? Sergeant! | 中士? 中士! |
[1:28:48] | Mike! | 迈克! |
[1:28:49] | Mike, Mike, Mike. | 迈克 迈克 |
[1:28:53] | Mike? Mike. | 迈克? 迈克 |
[1:29:03] | Hey, where’s Doc? | 大夫在哪儿? |
[1:29:06] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[1:29:10] | Oh, shit. | 糟了 |
[1:29:14] | How’s his breathing? Harlon, move, buddy. | 他呼吸怎样? 哈龙 你让一让 |
[1:29:17] | Hey, Mike. Mike, Mike, can you hear us? | 迈克 迈克 能听见我们吗? |
[1:29:21] | It’s okay. | 不要紧的 |
[1:29:24] | It’s okay. | 不要紧的 |
[1:29:26] | Come on, Mike. | 挺住 迈克 |
[1:29:29] | Mike? Mike, can you hear us? | 迈克? 迈克 能听见我们吗? |
[1:29:44] | All right, let’s go! | 好了 咱们走! |
[1:29:46] | Move out! | 前进! |
[1:29:50] | I’m gonna get a stretcher. | 我去找副担架 |
[1:29:51] | Let’s take him down, move him off the beach. | 咱们把他抬到海滩上去 |
[1:30:06] | Ladies and gentlemen, the heroes of lwo Jima! | 女士们 先生们 硫磺岛的英雄们来了! |
[1:30:12] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[1:30:21] | Hank! | 汉克! |
[1:30:23] | Hank! | 汉克! |
[1:30:43] | Doc, they killed me. | 大夫 他们打死我了 |
[1:30:54] | Harlon! | 哈龙! |
[1:30:58] | Doc, | 大夫 |
[1:31:01] | they killed me. | 他们打死我了 |
[1:31:04] | Come on, Harlon. Harlon, stay with me. | 挺住 哈龙 哈龙 别丢下我 |
[1:31:19] | Franklin! | 富兰克林! |
[1:31:27] | I’m fine, Ira. | 我没事 艾拉 |
[1:32:15] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[1:32:18] | Corpsman! | 看护兵! |
[1:32:19] | -Where’d he go? -Who? | -他去哪儿了? -谁? |
[1:32:21] | The guy who was right here, Ignatowski. Where did he go? | 在这里的人 伊格纳托斯基 他去哪儿了? |
[1:32:24] | -I think you jumped in the wrong hole. -I didn’t jump in the wrong hole! | -我看你是进错散兵坑了 -我没进错! |
[1:32:26] | He was right here, now where the hell is he? | 刚才他还在这儿的 他到底去哪儿了? |
[1:32:30] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[1:32:32] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[1:32:33] | You shut up. You want every Jap on the island shooting at us? | 别叫了 你想让岛上的鬼子 都朝我们这儿打吗? |
[1:32:36] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[1:32:52] | Does it open? | 下面是空的? |
[1:32:55] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[1:32:58] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[1:33:01] | Lggy, are you down there? | 伊基 你在里面吗? |
[1:33:04] | Lggy! | 伊基! |
[1:33:07] | Can’t tell who it is, but he’s one of ours. | 认不出是谁 不过肯定是我们的人 |
[1:33:11] | I had to go outside to throw up. | 我实在忍不住 只好出来吐 |
[1:33:14] | Look what they did to the poor son-of-a-bitch. | 你去瞧瞧他们对那个倒霉蛋干了什么 |
[1:34:32] | You okay, Chief? | 你不要紧吧 酋长? |
[1:34:33] | Just let it go. | 吐了就好 |
[1:34:36] | If that doesn’t pry open their wallets, nothing will. | 要是这还不能让他们掏钱 那就没法子了 |
[1:34:47] | Jesus Christ, he’s drunk. | 老天 他醉了 |
[1:34:54] | Goddamn Indians. | 他妈的印第安佬 |
[1:35:06] | Come on, Chief. Let’s get you home. | 来吧 酋长 咱们回家去 |
[1:35:18] | That’s not what I hear. I called around, I’m not stupid. | 我听到的不是这样 我已经打听过了 我也不笨 |
[1:35:22] | He’s been drunk since he started this damn tour, | 自从巡讲开始 他就一直在酗酒 |
[1:35:24] | making a spectacle of himself. | 丢人现眼 |
[1:35:26] | Just about choked that poor woman at the reception, blubbering. | 在欢迎会上抱着可怜的老太又哭又闹 差点没闷死人家 |
[1:35:29] | Jesus Christ, you’re supposed to be watching these men. | 老天 你应该管好他们的 |
[1:35:32] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[1:35:33] | Well, he’s making us look like regular asses. | 他让我们像傻瓜一样 |
[1:35:35] | Well, with all due respect, sir, | 恕我冒犯 长官 |
[1:35:37] | he never wanted to come on this trip in the first place. | 他从一开始就不想参加巡讲 |
[1:35:39] | We had to pull him, kicking and screaming, off that boat. | 他在船上又踢又叫 我们是把他硬拉下来的 |
[1:35:41] | He wants to be with his unit. | 他想留在自己的部队里 |
[1:35:43] | What unit? They’re all fucking dead. | 什么部队? 他的部队都翘辫子了 |
[1:35:47] | This is how he honors those men? By drinking and throwing up, and… | 他就是这么给部队争光的? 喝了吐 吐了喝… |
[1:35:50] | You know what? He wants it, great, we’ll send him back. | 好啊 既然他想回去 我们就送他回去 |
[1:35:53] | Get him packed and on a train today. He’s an embarrassment to the uniform. | 让他收拾收拾 今天就上火车 他玷污了那身军装 |
[1:35:58] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[1:36:07] | I’ll do it. | 我来办 |
[1:36:28] | Yeah, no, that’s… That’s good. That’s what I want. | 是啊 那样… 那样也好 我也希望这样 |
[1:36:33] | I know it’s a good thing, | 我知道这是好事 |
[1:36:36] | raising the money and that, ’cause we need it. | 我们来筹款 是因为我们需要钱 |
[1:36:42] | But, | 可是 |
[1:36:43] | I can’t take them calling me a hero. | 他们叫我英雄 我受不了 |
[1:36:48] | All I did was try not to get shot. | 我做过的事就是拼命躲子弹 |
[1:36:57] | Some of the things I saw done, | 我看到的一些事 |
[1:37:00] | things I did, | 还有我自己做的一些事 |
[1:37:03] | they weren’t things to be proud of, you know? | 都不值得骄傲 |
[1:37:17] | Mike… | 迈克… |
[1:37:22] | Mike was a hero. | 迈克才是英雄 |
[1:37:28] | You ever meet him? | 你见过他吗? |
[1:37:31] | No. | 没有 |
[1:37:39] | Best Marine I ever met. | 我见过的最好的陆战队员 |
[1:37:46] | You know, Chief, I think if Mike was sitting here instead of you | 知道吗 酋长 我觉得 要是迈克代替你坐在这里 |
[1:37:51] | he’d be saying the same thing about himself, | 他也会说一样的话 |
[1:37:56] | not being a hero. | 说自己不是英雄 |
[1:38:05] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[1:38:08] | He was a good guy. | 他是个好人 |
[1:38:11] | But I think that he would be ashamed of me, | 可我觉得 要是他看见我这个样子 |
[1:38:16] | seeing me the way I am. | 他会感到羞耻的 |
[1:38:37] | Think I could see my ma before they ship me off? | 你看 我临走前能不能见我妈妈? |
[1:38:43] | Think they’d do that? See my ma? | 你看他们会同意吗? 让我见妈妈? |
[1:38:50] | I’m sorry, Ira. | 很抱歉 艾拉 |
[1:39:04] | We got stories now to tell our kids, I guess. | 这么一来我们可有故事讲给孩子听了 |
[1:39:07] | Keep your head down. | 小心点 |
[1:39:18] | All aboard. | 都上车 |
[1:39:20] | Good luck, Chief. | 祝你好运 酋长 |
[1:39:54] | I think I saw him once after that. | 我觉得我后来还见过他一回 |
[1:39:56] | It was maybe six or seven years after the war. | 大概是在战后六七年的样子 |
[1:39:59] | I was working as a salesman, doing a lot of driving. | 我当了推销员 经常开车跑业务 |
[1:40:02] | I was driving west across Texas. | 有一次我开车向西横穿德克萨斯 |
[1:40:04] | I was just trying to get where I was going so I could get home. | 我只想早点去目的地 办完事就回家 |
[1:40:07] | And I saw this guy hitchhiking on the side of the road. | 我在路上看见一个想搭便车的人 |
[1:40:10] | And, for a second, I thought it might’ve been him. | 有那么一会儿 我觉得那可能就是他 |
[1:40:18] | I always regret that I didn’t stop, but I was in a hurry. | 我一直后悔没有停车 当时我太着急了 |
[1:40:23] | And he was an Indian. | 他是个印第安人 |
[1:40:25] | We always told the press that Ira insisted | 我们一直对新闻界说 |
[1:40:27] | that he was going back to fight with his unit | 艾拉坚持要回去和战友并肩作战 |
[1:40:30] | which was at least partially true, but | 这话至少一半是真的 |
[1:40:35] | that isn’t what got the headlines. | 可是报纸上却不是这么说的 |
[1:40:38] | We’re engaged. | 我们订婚了 |
[1:40:44] | Excuse me a minute, darling. | 等我一下 亲爱的 |
[1:40:46] | -Hey, Doc? -Yeah? | -嘿 大夫 -嗯? |
[1:40:48] | -Got a minute? -Yeah. | -有空吗? -有 |
[1:40:50] | I’ll see you at the car. | 我在车上等你 |
[1:40:54] | -You hear I’m getting married? -I did, Rene. That’s great. | -你知道我要结婚了吧? -知道 雷尼 太好了 |
[1:40:59] | Yeah, it’s something she wants. She waited for me all this time. | 是她提出来的 她一直在等我 |
[1:41:04] | She’s not used to all this, but she’s a good girl. | 她还不习惯这一切 不过她是个好姑娘 |
[1:41:07] | I’m sure you’ll be very happy. | 你们肯定会很美满 |
[1:41:10] | So, I was wondering if you’d be my best man. | 我想知道 你愿不愿意当我的伴郎 |
[1:41:13] | Me? | 我? |
[1:41:16] | Don’t you have somebody at home, a buddy, you’d rather ask? | 你不想找老家的朋友吗? |
[1:41:21] | Well, I didn’t really make many. | 其实 我的朋友不多 |
[1:41:23] | The ones who didn’t go, it’s… Well, it’s hard to even talk to them. | 那些没参军的人… 我甚至很难和他们搭上话 |
[1:41:27] | You know? | 你明白吗? |
[1:41:29] | Yeah, I know. | 我明白 |
[1:41:33] | I’d be proud to. | 我很乐意 |
[1:41:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:41:39] | I better go drag her away from them before she announces | 我最好快点把她拉走 |
[1:41:41] | I’m gonna be president of General Motors or something. | 省得她宣布我要当通用汽车的总裁 |
[1:41:46] | All right. | 好 |
[1:41:47] | -Congratulations. -Thank you so much. Thank you. | -恭喜你 -太谢谢了 |
[1:41:50] | Rene, you’re a lucky man. | 雷尼 你可真走运 |
[1:42:02] | -Big smile, Mrs. Gagnon! -Say cheese! | -笑一个 雷尼太太! -说”茄子”! |
[1:42:05] | I couldn’t complain because the press loved them, | 我不能抱怨 因为新闻界喜欢他们 |
[1:42:08] | so they wrote more articles and people bought more bonds. | 这样他们就有更多报道可写 大家也就会买更多债券 |
[1:42:15] | The tour went on with just Rene and your dad. | 巡讲继续 只剩下雷尼和你爸爸 |
[1:42:23] | And the true heroes are the men who didn’t make it home from lwo Jima, | 真正的英雄是没能从硫磺岛回家的人 |
[1:42:27] | the men who died at lwo Jima and in other campaigns. | 是那些在硫磺岛和其他战役中牺牲的人 |
[1:42:32] | We ask that you honor the memory of those men | 请你们用购买战争债券的方式缅怀英烈 |
[1:42:35] | by buying the war bonds and helping us to win this war. | 帮助我们打赢这场战争 |
[1:42:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:42:44] | City after city, I thought the damn thing’d never end. | 一个城接着一个城 我以为这事会没完没了 |
[1:42:48] | And this rumor kept going around that the photograph had been staged. | 这时候流言四起 说那张照片是摆拍的 |
[1:42:54] | I remember your dad telling them | 我记得你爸爸对他们说 |
[1:42:56] | that he wished he’d known he was having his picture taken | 要是他知道当时有人在拍照就好了 |
[1:42:58] | because he would’ve ducked the hell out of it. | 那样的话他准会躲起来 |
[1:43:00] | Whose idea was it? Who wanted to stage the thing? | 这是谁的主意? 谁想到要摆拍这张照片? |
[1:43:03] | Come on, it was you? | 是你吗? |
[1:43:05] | Was there truth to the rumor that that picture was staged, Doc? | 有传言说那张照片是摆拍的 这是真的吗? |
[1:43:08] | -Come on! Doc? -Can you answer that? | -你说话呀 大夫! -你能回答吗? |
[1:43:13] | I remember when your dad got shot. All hell was busting loose. | 我记得你爸中弹时 好像整个地狱的火都冒了出来 |
[1:43:17] | People back home saw that picture | 后方的人看到那张照片 |
[1:43:19] | and thought it was over when we took Suribachi. | 以为我们占领折钵山时 战斗就结束了 |
[1:43:25] | We wished. | 真是那样就好了 |
[1:43:27] | Anyways, we’re pinned down. | 其实我们被压得动弹不得 |
[1:43:29] | Mortars, shells, machine guns. | 迫击炮 大炮 机枪 |
[1:43:33] | Fire coming from every which direction, right? | 从四面八方打过来 |
[1:43:37] | And we hear somebody call, “Corpsman down.” | 我们听见有人喊: “看护兵中弹了” |
[1:43:42] | Corpsman down! | 看护兵中弹了! |
[1:43:51] | Blood was spurting out of his throat, and Doc was doing everything he could. | 血从他的喉咙里直标出来 大夫尽了一切努力 |
[1:43:57] | And the Corpsman looks up at him | 那个看护兵盯着他看 |
[1:44:01] | and he knows what this means, to be shot in the neck. | 他知道脖子中弹的后果 |
[1:44:05] | He knows he’s dying, you can see that. | 我看得出来 他知道自己快死了 |
[1:44:08] | But still | 可是看他的眼神 |
[1:44:11] | in his eyes, he’s pleading with Doc to save his life. | 他一直在求大夫救他的命 |
[1:44:21] | And Doc can’t. | 可是大夫做不到 |
[1:45:01] | -You okay, Doc? -Yeah, I’m fine. | -你不要紧吧 大夫? -我没事 |
[1:45:05] | -Yeah, you look fine. -I’m okay. | -我看你问题不大 -我没事 |
[1:45:08] | Keep down, all right? I’m gonna go get a stretcher. | 趴着别动好吗? 我去找副担架来 |
[1:45:11] | Okay. | 好的 |
[1:45:20] | Corpsman. Corpsman! | 看护兵 看护兵! |
[1:45:23] | For God sake, Corpsman! | 看在上帝份上 看护兵! |
[1:45:45] | Corpsman? | 看护兵? |
[1:45:49] | Corpsman. | 看护兵 |
[1:45:51] | Incoming! | 炮弹来了! |
[1:45:57] | Let me see. | 让我看看 |
[1:46:02] | It’s not that bad. You’re gonna be okay. All right? | 不是太糟 你会好的 明白吗? |
[1:46:05] | Just stay with me. Look at me. | 你挺住 看着我 |
[1:46:08] | Took us a half-hour to find your dad. He could’ve bled to death. | 我们费了半小时才找到你爸爸 他差点流血过多死掉 |
[1:46:12] | Coming down. | 放下来 |
[1:46:20] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[1:46:26] | Vets’ll tell you about being hit but not wanting to leave their buddies. | 老兵们会对你说 他们虽然中弹 却不愿抛弃战友 |
[1:46:31] | Usually, they’re lying. | 多数时候 他们是在撒谎 |
[1:46:33] | You’ll take any excuse to get out of there. | 你会利用一切借口来离开战场 |
[1:46:37] | But it happens. | 但确实有例外 |
[1:46:41] | You get the feeling you’re letting them down. | 那种人总觉得自己辜负了他们 |
[1:46:45] | I could see that in your dad’s face. | 我从你爸爸的表情上看得出来 |
[1:46:49] | He wanted to go, he’d seen enough. | 他想走 他已经受够了 |
[1:46:54] | But he didn’t want to leave us. | 可是他不愿抛下我们 |
[1:46:58] | Now, he was a hell of a good man, your dad. | 你爸爸真是菩萨心肠 |
[1:47:04] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[1:47:06] | While we were sitting there on the beach, we heard this great roar. | 正当我们坐在海滩上的时候 听见一阵巨响 |
[1:47:10] | And we looked up. | 我们抬头一看 |
[1:47:17] | That was the first of thousands of landings on lwo. | 那是第一架在硫磺岛着陆的飞机 以后又有上万架 |
[1:47:21] | -Look at that. -Yeah. | -看哪 -嗯 |
[1:47:23] | How about that. | 还不错吧 |
[1:47:31] | I’m gonna head back, all right? | 我会回来的 |
[1:47:33] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[1:47:37] | That island saved a lot of lives. | 那个岛救了很多人的命 |
[1:47:43] | A lot of lives. | 很多人的命 |
[1:47:49] | I don’t know what else to tell you. | 我不知道还有什么可说的 |
[1:48:00] | After the bond tour my dad finally got his operation. | 巡讲结束以后 我爸爸终于做了手术 |
[1:48:15] | By the time he got home the war was over. | 等他回家时 战争已经结束了 |
[1:48:22] | First thing he did was ask my mom to marry him. | 他做的第一件事就是求我妈妈嫁给他 |
[1:48:30] | Ira tried to get on with his life and put it all behind him. | 艾拉想接着过自己的生活 把所有事都忘掉 |
[1:48:34] | Thank you for having me here today. | 谢谢你们今天请我来 |
[1:48:38] | It’s an honor to be in front of such a strong people. | 给你们这些好汉作报告是我的荣幸 |
[1:48:46] | Because of the war | 通过这场战争 |
[1:48:49] | white men will understand Indians a lot better. | 白人会更好地理解印第安人 |
[1:48:56] | And it’s going to be a better world. | 我们的处境也会更好 |
[1:49:19] | But life had other plans for him. | 但是人生总难如意 |
[1:49:35] | You’re…You’re him, aren’t you? | 你是…你是那个人吧? |
[1:49:38] | You’re the hero, right? | 你是那个英雄 对吗? |
[1:49:43] | Great. All right, kids, go get your picture taken. | 太好了 来吧 孩子们 去拍照吧 |
[1:49:49] | Oh, that’s great. That’s great. | 太好了 太好了 |
[1:49:51] | All right, now say cheese. | 好 说”茄子” |
[1:49:53] | Cheese! | 茄子! |
[1:49:54] | That’s great! Okay. Hey, thanks a lot. Thanks. | 太好了 谢谢 太谢谢了 |
[1:49:59] | -Come on. -That’s a hero, kids. | -走吧 -那可是英雄啊 孩子们 |
[1:50:12] | Hero, lift this basket, will you? It’s too heavy for me. | 英雄 帮我抬抬这个篮子好吗? 我搬不动啊 |
[1:50:42] | Rene tried to take advantage of those offers he’d received on the bond tour. | 雷尼想接受他在债券巡讲时 接到的聘用邀请 |
[1:50:45] | Yes. G-A-G-N-O-N. | 是的 G-A-G-N-O-N |
[1:50:50] | Right. Pronounced Rene. Rene, yes. | 对 发音是”雷尼” 雷尼 |
[1:50:55] | -Okay, I actually called last week. -Yes. Okay, yes. Mr. Gagnon. | -其实我上礼拜就打过电话了 -好的 好的 盖格南先生 |
[1:51:00] | I gave Mr. Tennack your message. I’m sure he’ll call you. | 我已经转告泰纳克先生了 他肯定会给你回电的 |
[1:51:04] | Okay. All right. | 好吧 |
[1:51:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:51:09] | But he was yesterday’s hero. | 但他已经是过气英雄了 |
[1:51:12] | He even applied for a job at the local police station. | 他甚至到当地警察局找过工作 |
[1:51:17] | They said he wasn’t qualified. | 他们说他不够资格 |
[1:51:19] | After working the factory with Pauline he tried a few things | 和波琳一起在工厂干过一阵后 他试过很多工作 |
[1:51:22] | but spent the rest of his life as a janitor. | 但是他的下半辈子都在做看门人 |
[1:51:28] | But Ira… | 而艾拉… |
[1:51:29] | Ira! You got a visitor. | 艾拉! 有人来看你 |
[1:51:35] | Ira always made the news. | 艾拉总是能上新闻 |
[1:51:43] | I could never find out why he did it, but one day Ira just took off. | 有一天艾拉出走了 至于他为什么要走 我一直没明白 |
[1:52:30] | He walked and hitched over 1,300 miles | 他靠步行和搭便车走了1300多英里 |
[1:52:34] | from Arizona to Texas. | 从亚利桑那到德克萨斯 |
[1:52:40] | He found Harlon Block’s father working his field. | 艾拉找到了哈龙·布洛克的父亲 他正在田里干活 |
[1:52:43] | His wife, Belle, had left him soon after they discovered Harlon died. | 他妻子蓓尔得知哈龙牺牲的消息 就和他离婚了 |
[1:52:48] | She never forgave him for letting her son go off to war. | 她永远不能原谅他让儿子上战场 |
[1:53:10] | And Ira told him the truth, | 艾拉把真相告诉了他 |
[1:53:13] | that it had been his son who raised the flag with them, | 和他们一起插旗的是他儿子 |
[1:53:17] | his son in the photograph. | 他儿子就在照片上 |
[1:53:22] | And then he just turned and walked away. | 说完他就转身离开 |
[1:53:26] | Though the flag-raising meant nothing to him, | 虽然插旗的事对他毫无意义 |
[1:53:29] | he somehow knew it would mean everything to them. | 但是他知道那对他们意义非凡 |
[1:53:49] | Thanks for calling. | 谢谢你来电话 |
[1:53:54] | Just as Belle knew all along. | 果然和蓓尔想的一样 |
[1:54:06] | The press soon found out | 新闻界很快也发现了 |
[1:54:08] | and called Hank’s mom with the news that it wasn’t her son after all. | 他们告诉汉克的妈妈 他儿子根本不在照片上 |
[1:54:25] | The last time they all saw each other | 他们最后一次碰头 |
[1:54:27] | was at the unveiling of the Marine Corps War Memorial. | 是在海军陆战队战争纪念碑的揭幕式上 |
[1:54:32] | And even though he planted the first flag above lwo Jima, | 虽然硫磺岛的第一面旗是汉克插的 |
[1:54:35] | Hank’s mother and father weren’t invited. | 汉克的父母却没有被邀请出席 |
[1:55:15] | Ira. | 艾拉 |
[1:55:29] | It’s good to see you, Ira. | 见到你很高兴 艾拉 |
[1:55:39] | Hell of a statue. | 这雕像真够意思 |
[1:55:54] | It wasn’t long after that that they found Ira. | 不久以后人们发现了埃拉的尸体 |
[1:55:58] | The papers said he died of exposure. There was no autopsy. | 报上说他死于风餐露宿 警方没有验尸 |
[1:56:17] | It was about that same time | 差不多也是在这时候 |
[1:56:18] | when my father got in his car early one morning | 有天早上我爸爸钻进汽车 |
[1:56:21] | telling my mom he had something to do. | 对我妈妈说他有事要办 |
[1:56:30] | He drove to a town on the other side of Wisconsin where lggy’s mom lived. | 他去了威斯康星另一头的小镇 那里住着伊基的妈妈 |
[1:56:45] | Ever since she heard the news about her son | 自从得到儿子的死讯 |
[1:56:47] | she’d been trying to find out how he died, and no one would tell her. | 她就想知道他是怎么死的 可是没人愿意告诉她 |
[1:56:53] | I never found out what he told her, | 我一直没弄清爸爸是怎么对她说的 |
[1:56:56] | but I can pretty much guarantee it wasn’t the truth. | 但是我有十足把握相信 他没有说实话 |
[1:57:01] | My mother would ask him what was troubling him. | 我妈妈曾问 到底是什么事让他烦恼 |
[1:57:03] | He would never say. | 但他从来不肯说 |
[1:57:13] | And every year, as it got close to Memorial Day, | 每年临近阵亡将士纪念日 |
[1:57:16] | the reporters would start calling asking to interview my father. | 就有记者打来电话 请求采访我爸爸 |
[1:57:21] | No, I’m sorry. He’s fishing in Canada. | 不好意思 他去加拿大钓鱼了 |
[1:57:24] | We were always instructed to say the same thing. | 他总是让我们用同一番话来搪塞 |
[1:57:27] | Okay. Thanks. | 好的 谢谢 |
[1:57:32] | When Mr. McCandless retired, | 麦坎得利斯先生退休时 |
[1:57:34] | my father bought the funeral home where he’d worked since coming home. | 我爸爸买下了他的殡仪馆 复员以后他一直在里面工作 |
[1:57:38] | He spent the rest of his life running the business and raising his family. | 他把下半辈子都用来经营业务 养家糊口 |
[1:58:30] | He never spoke about the war or about the flag-raising, | 他从没谈起战争和插旗的事 |
[1:58:34] | never told us anything. | 对我们只字不提 |
[1:58:36] | The first time I heard any of these stories was after he died. | 我第一次听说这些事是在他去世后 |
[1:58:57] | Where is he? Oh, God. | 他在哪儿? 上帝 |
[1:59:02] | He’s not here, Dad. | 他不在这 爸爸 |
[1:59:05] | He died. | 他死了 |
[1:59:08] | Who? Who died? | 谁? 谁死了? |
[1:59:11] | Lggy. | 伊基 |
[1:59:14] | Iggy. | 伊基 |
[1:59:17] | Christ, poor lggy. | 天哪 可怜的伊基 |
[1:59:21] | I hadn’t thought of him for years. | 我有好多年没想起他了 |
[1:59:26] | How do you know about lggy? | 你怎么知道伊基的? |
[1:59:29] | You were calling for him, when you collapsed. | 你病倒的时候就在喊他 |
[1:59:37] | I wasn’t looking for lggy. | 我不是在找伊基 |
[1:59:42] | I was looking for you. | 我是在找你 |
[1:59:46] | I wanted to… | 我想… |
[1:59:50] | I wanted to tell you I’m sorry I wasn’t a better father. | 我想告诉你 我这个爸爸本可以做得更好的 |
[1:59:56] | Talked to you more. | 本该多和你谈谈心 |
[1:59:59] | I just… | 我只想… |
[2:00:04] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[2:00:08] | Sorry? | 对不起? |
[2:00:11] | You were the best father a man could have. | 你是天底下最好的爸爸 |
[2:00:24] | Did I ever tell you they took us swimming? | 我有没有和你说过 他们让我们游泳的事? |
[2:00:32] | No, Dad. | 没有 爸爸 |
[2:00:35] | After we planted the flag, we came down off the mountain | 我们插完旗后 下了山 |
[2:00:41] | and they let us swim. | 他们允许我们游泳 |
[2:00:44] | It was the funniest thing. | 真是太好玩了 |
[2:00:47] | All this fighting | 周围都在战斗 |
[2:00:50] | and we were jumping around in the water like kids. | 我们却像孩子一样蹦到水里 |
[2:00:57] | That’s the way I remember lggy now. | 关于伊基 我现在就只记得这个 |
[2:01:37] | I finally came to the conclusion that maybe he was right. | 最后我得出结论 也许他是对的 |
[2:01:41] | Maybe there’s no such thing as heroes. | 也许这世上并没有英雄 |
[2:01:44] | Maybe there are just people like my dad. | 只有我爸爸这样的普通人 |
[2:01:48] | I finally came to understand | 最后我终于明白 |
[2:01:49] | why they were so uncomfortable being called heroes. | 为什么英雄的称号 会让他们这么不自在 |
[2:01:54] | Heroes are something we create, something we need. | 英雄都是我们塑造出来的 我们需要英雄 |
[2:02:02] | It’s a way for us to understand what is almost incomprehensible, | 因为不这么做我们就理解不了 |
[2:02:06] | how people could sacrifice so much for us. | 为什么有人可以为我们流血牺牲 |
[2:02:10] | But for my dad and these men, | 但是对我爸爸和这些人来说 |
[2:02:12] | the risks they took, the wounds they suffered, | 他们出生入死 流血牺牲 |
[2:02:16] | they did that for their buddies. | 都是为了他们的战友 |
[2:02:18] | They may have fought for their country, but they died for their friends. | 他们也许曾为祖国而战 但他们是为战友而死 |
[2:02:22] | For the man in front, for the man beside them. | 为了他们身前和身边的人 |
[2:02:26] | And if we wish to truly honor these men, | 如果我们真要缅怀这些人 |
[2:02:29] | we should remember them the way they really were, | 就应该记住他们真实的一面 |
[2:02:33] | the way my dad remembered them. | 我爸爸记住的那一面 |
[2:03:15] | Come on, Doc! | 快过来 大夫! |
[2:11:19] | 1945年2月23日 陆战五师二十八团 二营的官兵在此树起星条旗 |